Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Favorite Missing Persons Solved/Unsolved Crime Stories

I came across this one - About Stefanie Watson - on Youtube and it is unusually well-made. The amateur journalist actually solved the decades-old murder case!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 10, 2020 1:44 AM

Kebbie Cabin murders, Yuba County five, missing Brian Schaffer.

I must admit I would have fellated Brian that night at The Ugly Tuna Saloona - he was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2020 6:42 PM

The Laureen Rahn disappearance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2020 6:45 PM

The 1965 murder at the Gunter Hotel, San Antonio, Texas. Someone made the mistake of mentioning it in front of me when I was 9-10. It's haunted me ever since. He described it as "that guy who put the woman through a meat grinder," but the article I just dug up doesn't mention that part. He did literally kill and butcher a woman in a hotel room, and has never been caught.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2020 6:47 PM

Mysterious WV covers cases in West Virginia and surrounding areas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2020 6:47 PM

The Gunter Hotel Murder-He was caught by a maid while trying to flush dismembered body parts down the toilet. The victim was never identified.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2020 6:49 PM

Michael Negrete-UCLA freshman disappears in the middle of the night in 1999. Theories range from drugs, to a UCLA cover up involving a organ harvesting scandal, to the involvement of Damon Van Dam, the creepy father of murdered San Diego toddler Danielle Van Dam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2020 6:51 PM

The Springfield Three and the abduction of Angela Hammond. I was a kid living near where these cases happened in the early 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2020 6:52 PM

I always believed this was a crime of opportunity. Springfield is a very sketchy town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2020 6:54 PM

OP here. The Keddie Murders are horrifying but not that mysterious. The Yuba County Five totally freaks me out. The Springfield Three is pretty creepy also.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2020 7:47 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2020 8:34 PM

The Springfield Three is my #1 missing persons case, it is just baffling.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2020 8:40 PM

Maura Murray. College student who disappeared in 2004 after a lot of erratic behavior. She is one of the few missing people I think really did run away and start a new life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2020 8:41 PM

What a sick thread OP, nothing entertaining about missing persons. Sadness .....

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2020 8:43 PM

R13 You know there are like a dozen TV shows on the subject, right?

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2020 8:47 PM

I'll second Brian Schaffer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2020 8:49 PM

R15 I think he was rolled by a townie in the bar and it went bad and he got killed. I went to college in depressed rest-belt town similar to Columbus, and townies frequently targeted drunk students.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2020 8:53 PM

I sometimes wonder if some of these older missing persons cases involved people who couldn't deal with their friends and family finding out about their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2020 8:54 PM

Then where's the body?

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2020 8:54 PM

I mean they ran off to San Francisco or something. Or changed genders.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2020 8:56 PM

R17 Not a missing person's case, but there's a case where a guy died in Vietnam wearing a class ring for an Ivy school (I think Harvard) that he didn't go to. It didn't belong to anyone in his platoon either, nor any of his family members. They've yet to identify who the ring belonged to, but the popular theory is that he was gay and it belonged to a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2020 8:57 PM

That's a theory in the disappearance of Richard Cox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2020 8:57 PM

Brian Shaffer is a bizarre one. I definitely think he's dead, but he was never seen leaving the bar. There were only two exits and both were covered by security cameras.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2020 8:58 PM

The Black Dahlia. Although the miniseries I Am The Night and its accompanying podcast Root of Evil suggest there is no way George Hodel didn't kill Elizabeth Smart. He was a total sociopath void of empathy and boundaries. And knowing he would never be an artist like Man Ray he tried to one-up them by creating a real-life piece of surreal art with Smart's body.

In many ways, Hodel was like Trump: weird personal boundaries with daughters; jealous of everyone; utterly devoid of empathy.; totally corrupt; likely on the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2020 9:02 PM

Ron Tammen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2020 9:37 PM

What's up with Brian Schaffer's right hand...in both the pics, his three fingers are distended, like he has MS or something?

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2020 9:43 PM

R17 That's one of the minor theories in the Michael Negrete case listed above. Most likely one is that he overdosed in the dorm and another student is covering it up.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2020 10:08 PM

I was a college student in the area when the Colonial Parkway murders occurred. Terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2020 10:17 PM

The Charley Project is just a click away. Scores of missing people, I've spent too much time on that site. Since the lockdown. Some things become crystal clear- anyone, male or female , but especially female, should NEVER drink by themselves in public. The amount of fury some men have towards women! And parents, sibs, kids are left with this void in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2020 10:24 PM

R28 Also why women don't walk around at night, and why basement and corner apartments are so cheap.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2020 10:49 PM

Here OP. No need to keep starting the same thread over & over again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2020 11:39 PM

And another for you, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2020 11:42 PM

Oh, look here, OP. Another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2020 11:43 PM

And another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2020 11:44 PM

And here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 11:45 PM

And this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2020 11:46 PM

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2020 11:47 PM

And another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2020 11:48 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2020 11:49 PM

And the parks, of course

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2020 11:49 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2020 11:51 PM

And more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2020 11:52 PM

My oh my

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2020 11:52 PM

And yet more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2020 11:53 PM

Again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2020 11:53 PM

Hmmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2020 11:54 PM

Gee....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2020 11:54 PM

Yeesh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2020 11:55 PM

Mmmmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2020 11:55 PM

Yikes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2020 11:57 PM

Again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2020 11:57 PM

Why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2020 11:58 PM

Do you know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2020 11:59 PM

Another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2020 11:59 PM

Thanks, gonna bump all those cool threads now!

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2020 12:01 AM

Who is fascinated by this stuff? Unless the cause is supernatural -I imagine you'd have to be a burgeoning serial killer to find this shit interesting.

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2020 12:03 AM

I've always found the 1984 disappearance of Samuel Todd in downtown NYC to be eerie. Particularly the reoccurring dream his friend that was with him that night began having after he vanished:

"In 1984, the year of Sam's disappearance, I had a recurring dream. In it, he called from the pay phone outside our loft, and when I went to my bedroom window to look down at him, he laughed and ran away."

In that area, at that time, anything could have happened to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2020 12:06 AM

Creepy disappearance of three kids in Australia, I always find this one of the most disturbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2020 12:08 AM

R30 - R53 You do realize that YOU look like the crazy one now, correct?

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2020 12:09 AM

The DL Hall Monitor strikes again. What a sad, pathetic individual. Yeah, there have been other threads. Old threads from years ago. Big fucking deal. This is an interesting topic that gets revived now and then because it's interesting.

I know I'm biased because he was totally fucking adorable and close to my age, but Charlie Allen Jr. is one of my favorites. He was a college student who was bipolar and went off his meds, freaked out, and disappeared into the woods near Dartmouth, MA one cold October night. No trace of him has ever been found. He legally changed his name to Neo Babson Maximus shortly before his disappearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2020 12:10 AM

This girl. Remember that polaroid of the bound and gagged girl and boy found in Fla 7-11 parking lot? So haunting. Someone was teasing the cops as recently as a couple yrs ago. Sicko...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2020 12:13 AM

R60 I thought they discovered that she was hit by a motorist as she was out riding her bicycle and that the photo is not her?

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2020 12:16 AM

R56, that was a very sad story. I wonder what happened to the poor guy. Maybe he was planning to meet with someone briefly during his walk during a party? One can only guess.

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2020 12:17 AM

Potentially connected to the Beaumont kids’ disappearance, another Australian case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2020 12:17 AM

Lost and found. And lost again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote]Brian Shaffer is a bizarre one. I definitely think he's dead, but he was never seen leaving the bar. There were only two exits and both were covered by security cameras.

This case has haunted me ever since I first learned about it. The last update I found was in February, when a photo of a homeless American in Tijuana was investigated after it was suggested it might possibly be Brian. Facial recognition technology concluded that it was not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2020 12:35 AM

The disappearance of Edward Dubbs. It never received much publicity probably because he was gay. I'm suspicious of the much younger live in bf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2020 12:36 AM

OCD freak getting off on other people’s death & misery. Ooh, I’m so EXCITED about this missing/dead person! Entertain me some more with the details, please. Tortured? Buried or left out in the open for animals to pick clean? Raped? Sodomized?

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2020 12:46 AM

Scott Kurland, missing since November 2017.

They have no idea what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2020 2:09 AM

Do shut up r67. These cases are intriguing and scary because these were all normal people doing normal things in mundane circumstances and then POOF they were just fucking gone. Nobody knows what happened. It's unsettling. It could happen to anyone. That's why people are attracted to these cases.

Brian Shaffer - a 6'2" guy in a crowded bar just vanishes. Police checked all the other security cameras in the area (there were quite a few) and he wasn't on any of those. Just mystifying.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2020 2:10 AM

It definitely makes you better than people interested in missing persons cases if you open a thread about missing persons cases and post that people interested in them are weirdos, and especially if you’re the only person to mention the possibility that some of them were tortured or raped in your post too.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2020 4:09 AM

I know I'm terrible but I definately would have gone home with Brian Schaffer. Wonder what kinda guy he was.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2020 9:51 AM

Steven Koecher disappearance. Lots of intriguing, unexplained behavior the day he went missing. There has been speculation he could have been gay (there isn't much evidence for that) and some have tried to link him to Susan Powell but that's been pretty much debunked. I think the landlord knows something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2020 10:41 AM

R67 you must be a newbie. DL sleuths have always discussed crimes. Dont read it if you dont like.

Are that delicate little snowflake who is ff'g threads they dont like.

You are the weirdo, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2020 3:33 PM

^^^are you.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2020 3:34 PM

Tara Calico is another compelling case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2020 3:39 PM

I'd suggest blocking the OCD serial killer who whines about these threads. Guilty conscience?

I see threads all the time I don't particularly like. TikTok, instaho, soaps but do I go in and bitch? No, i pass them by.

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2020 3:43 PM

Has Jodi Huisentruit been mentioned in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2020 3:54 PM

R61 That's a theory that's believed by a lot of people. IIRC, the motorist was the county sheriff's son and the rumors were that law enforcement departments in the area covered up for the son.

There's podcast on the Tara Calico case called Vanished. The podcaster interviewed a few people who believe that the theory is true.

by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2020 3:56 PM

Weren't the Keddie murders related to drugs?

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2020 5:06 PM

The Springfield Three - how do three adult women get abducted without any sign of a struggle or forced entry to the house? So strange.

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2020 5:18 PM

R80 gunpoint?

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2020 5:22 PM

Probably r81. But nothing was knocked over or disheveled or out of place. The house was in perfect order.

by Anonymousreply 82June 24, 2020 5:24 PM

We don't know that for certain. Dozens of friends and relatives had been through the house before the police were called.

by Anonymousreply 83June 24, 2020 5:53 PM

The friends said nothing was out of place. What was odd was that the front door was unlocked and all of the women's personal belongings (keys, purses, wallets etc.) were in the house and the friends didn't think much of it. Alarm bells should've gone off right away.

by Anonymousreply 84June 24, 2020 6:44 PM

I don't know why I'm so interested in true crime. I have been ever since I was a child. My Mom used to watch America's Most Wanted and Unsolved Mysteries in the living room at night and I'd watch with her.

It scared me but fascinated me at the same time.

Then I was nearly abducted as a child and when I got on to the internet as a young teenager, I felt a connection to all the missing children. I'd browse the database of missing kids for hours.

It's been around twenty years of my true crime obsession.

R28 What are some of your favourite Charley Project cases?

R6 I wonder if Negrere was suicidal. I do recall reading that he was using AOL chatrooms and was possibly in the closet about his sexuality. Perhaps he had a meet up that went bad.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2020 6:44 PM

I think the friend Janelle who was first on the scene was upset because she thought her friends had blown her off. They had plans to go to the water park that day. I can see an overly dramatic teenage girl not thinking logically.

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2020 6:56 PM

R28 The Charley Project is sad, sad, sad. You can tell most of what they do is linking missing persons to unidentified remains. Most of the profiles I looked at had zero information about the people's disappearances, just that they were missing and identifying marks. Disabled adults seem to disappear very frequently.

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2020 7:01 PM

I did an advanced search for "gay" on the Charley Project and it brought up this poor guy. I was not aware of an unidentified serial killer targeting gay men in Fort Lauderdale in the 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2020 7:19 PM

This kid is believed to have run away to be with his internet boyfriend and has never been seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2020 7:22 PM

I think and have always thought Brian Shafer never left that bar alive. I think someone or several someones that worked there disposed of his body after something happened,maybe a drug overdose or sex game gone wrong or a jealous boyfriend killed him for talking to his woman. That poor family sure was cursed,I hope his brother has been able to have a happy life.

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2020 7:30 PM

I assume the Charley Project is named after Charley Ross. The first true crime book I read as a youth as Little Charley Ross is Lost about a kidnapping in 1874. Yes I was a weird child.

It seems I cannot post links. But easy enough to look up.

by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2020 7:58 PM

For those who posted re: Tara Calico case. I personally do not believe that Sheriff's explanation because when pressed, he would not provide more information and there have never been any remains found. If anything, the Sheriff's explanation would warrant more investigation IMO. This has never been done. And they are still holding back a lot of details on the case. Anyhow, that polaroid that was found is thought by her family to be one of three most legitimate photos that have surfaced in her case.

by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2020 11:56 PM

I always wondered if Tara Calico was a victim of The Toy Box Killer. He lived in Elephant Butte, NM which was about 2 hrs from where Tara disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2020 12:01 AM

r90 that's a popular theory. Shaffer may have been killed in the bar, for whatever reasons, and his body was not removed until several hours later. God knows anything is possible in that case, it's so mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 94June 25, 2020 12:42 AM

R92 Are you talking about the sheriff that she was hit by accident by some guys she knew playing a prank?

If so, I don't believe him either. He was shopping a book on the case a few years ago. It didn't sell, which isn't surprising since his whole thing was, "I know, but I can't tell."

by Anonymousreply 95June 25, 2020 12:59 AM

The Keddie Cabin Murders were basically solved years ago. Cover up between corrupt local cops and local organized crime. When enough people have died, the whole story will come out, probably not long away.

by Anonymousreply 96June 25, 2020 1:10 AM

I would like to see the Long Island Serial Killer case solved (or revealed if they already know).

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2020 1:53 AM

In the Shaffer case, the police always say they know one of the people involved isn't telling everything he knows (presumably the friend who went to the bar with him). Why is it so hard to make him talk?

by Anonymousreply 98June 25, 2020 1:58 AM

R82 and R83 The globe on the porch light was broken. The girls' friend and her boyfriend showed up that morning to see if Suzie and Stacy were going to the water park place. The friend's boyfriend swept up the broken pieces of the globe and tossed in the trash. Also, some weird message on the answering machine were accidentally erased.

by Anonymousreply 99June 25, 2020 3:39 AM

The friends thought it odd that the globe light was broken, but kind of shrugged it off. The same with the personal belongings in the house.

Maybe it was just the times, this was the early 90s before we had all the true crime shows and forensic police procedural shows we do now. I think knowing all we know now, it's easy to forget that back then it was a more innocent time.

by Anonymousreply 100June 25, 2020 3:55 AM

Destination Unknown is my favorite Missing Persons song. Walking In LA a close second.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 25, 2020 4:00 AM

I followed the Jacob wettering case because we were similar in age at the time he disappeared. When his killer confessed and showed them where his remains were it was a gut punch i mean I knew he was likely dead but there’s always that tiny sliver of hope.

by Anonymousreply 102June 25, 2020 4:50 AM

Seems like the Soringfield Three was a clusterfuck of mistakes from the get go. Even back then, why would you sweep up broken glass and erase phone messages? If I came upon broken glass and missing people with all belongings in house I'd think "hmmm".

by Anonymousreply 103June 25, 2020 6:18 PM

Stacy McCall's mother erased the messages because they were disturbing and she didn't want Sherrill and Suzie to hear them.

by Anonymousreply 104June 25, 2020 6:21 PM

Springfield Three - Sherrill Levitt (mother) and Suzie Streeter (daughter) were both heavy smokers but their cigarettes and lighters were still in the house. I've always wondered why that detail alone wouldn't have set off alarm bells immediately and told the friends who came over that morning that something was very wrong. If you've ever known a hardcore, heavy smoker you know that they won't even leave the house for five minutes without taking their cigs with them.

by Anonymousreply 105June 25, 2020 6:37 PM

I just listened to a podcast about Tara Calico. One detail I never heard before is that Tara's mother stopped accompanying her on daily bike rides because they were followed by a white truck. Tara's mother urged her to carry mace but she refused.

by Anonymousreply 106June 25, 2020 8:06 PM

I’ve mentioned this before, on a similar thread, about these 3 missing girls, aged 17, 14, and 9. They disappeared Christmas Eve, from a shopping center in Fort Worth, in 1974. The police said they were runaways, which made absolutely no sense, since they left behind their vehicle packed with presents. No trace of them has ever been found.

I was 8 year old girl at the time, and raised in FW. And when I played with my Christmas presents, I would think of the nine year old and wondered if she had any dolls or toys to play with. I’m sure they’re dead, I just hope they were killed quickly and didn’t suffer for years in a sex ring or whatever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 25, 2020 9:21 PM

[quote]Seems like the Soringfield Three was a clusterfuck of mistakes from the get go. Even back then, why would you sweep up broken glass and erase phone messages? If I came upon broken glass and missing people with all belongings in house I'd think "hmmm".

It was. I think if something like that happened today, there would be a greater chance of it being solved due to traffic cameras, security cameras on private residences, cell phone data, etc.

by Anonymousreply 108June 25, 2020 10:38 PM

Jennifer Lancaster and her two infants vanished 20 years ago in Topeka Kansas.

What's never reported: her mother's sister was married to the Chief of Detectives in Topeka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 25, 2020 10:45 PM

r108 absolutely. Cameras, electronic footprints/tracking etc. It would probably be solved pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 110June 25, 2020 10:51 PM

I gave read a bit about the disappearance of West Point cadet Richard Colvin Cox. I think it's very possible that he was gay

by Anonymousreply 111June 25, 2020 10:56 PM

I think it's possible that Charlie Allen Jr. (aka Neo Babson Maximus) died from exposure in the woods or had some kind of accident and his body has just never been found. He was unmedicated bipolar and unfortunately when he had his psychotic break he was alone. If he had been around people when that happened, somebody would've called the cops or an ambulance and he would've been safely taken to a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 112June 26, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]The friends said nothing was out of place. What was odd was that the front door was unlocked and all of the women's personal belongings (keys, purses, wallets etc.) were in the house and the friends didn't think much of it. Alarm bells should've gone off right away.

I remember reading it something that one of the friends initially thought the door was left unlocked by accident which some people myself included have done at least once.

But, I agree the belongings being left in place and nothing inside the house being disheveled or a mess should have sounded off alarm bells along with the cars still being there and the weird phone message.

by Anonymousreply 113June 26, 2020 3:15 AM

Yes, I figured he was gay too, r111. Would explain his secret meetings with the strange man, "George", before he went missing.

by Anonymousreply 114June 26, 2020 3:59 AM

Joe Pichler-former child actor who went missing in 2006. Police believed he ditched his car and committed suicide somewhere else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 29, 2020 4:31 AM

This girl's story is very strange. I think it's clear an older male saw her in the woods, and offered her a beer and smoke while she waited for her classmates, then abducted her. A couple of classmates were suspected but never charged. Her body was never found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 2, 2020 6:54 PM

Tyler Davis.

Long story short - him and his wife, 20 somethings, go out on the town, they are both very drunk by end of night. They take an uber. They check into a hotel. Tyler says he's going for a walk (there's also a friend along), and he goes into the woods by the hotel and never returns. Linking to the podcast where she's interviewed about everything that happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 2, 2020 7:04 PM

God I fucking hope that poor woman wasn’t his victim, R93, but I believe it’s very likely. The Toybox Killer was active for 19 years, and while Belen is about 90 minutes from Elephant Butte where he lived, that’s really not far considering how he kidnapped some of his victims. By his own admission on the transcript of the very sick recording he would play for his victims when they woke up (I advise against anyone reading it— I’m a true crime veteran and almost threw up), he did drug and kidnap women from bats, but he also picked up victims who were jogging, biking, broke down on the side of the road. For crimes of opportunity like this In the desolate state of NM, he would have to cast a very wide net and spend a lot of time on the road, so it doesn’t seem far fetched that he would take “hunting trips” as far as way as just 90 minutes. There are other missing persons reports from Belen and the Albuquerque area where Tara was from that I believe are connected to David Parker Ray as well. There were also other people who attended his “parties” to watch his sick sexual assault and torture so I believe there was a larger network of people that assisted in obtaining victims and covering up their murders than just Ray and his wife. He told people he sold a lot of the women as slaves in Mexico, which I think was just a way to coverup their murder— why he would think the sub-humans who attended his parties would care is another question. While many victims were released and the final brave badass woman escaped, I think he killed dozens of women from accidental overdose of his drug cocktail or as a punitive measure. There is an insanely deep reservoir near his home where they could be easily disposed of, never mind the vast desert in general. Sadly the sick animal died in prison just before interrogations where we may have learned more about his victims, but I can’t shake the plausibility that he is connected to Tara’s case. Let’s just say that I hope for her sake that theory is false.

by Anonymousreply 118July 3, 2020 12:50 PM

R118 Some years back, the New Mexico State Police searched Elephant Butte Lake and other places near David Parker Ray's house for bodies. Nothing was turned up from their searches.

by Anonymousreply 119July 3, 2020 11:47 PM

Parker had an incestuous relationship with his daughter Jesse. She also helped him procure victims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 4, 2020 2:26 AM

The Sims Family, Tallahassee 1966

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 4, 2020 2:43 AM

The Sarasota Mummy Murder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 4, 2020 2:45 AM

Judge Crater, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 4, 2020 3:29 AM

Was the daughter ever considered a suspect in the Sims family murders?

by Anonymousreply 124July 4, 2020 8:23 AM

No, r124. But it was rumored their pastor was a suspect. I don't think that ever panned out.

by Anonymousreply 125July 4, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote]how do three adult women get abducted without any sign of a struggle or forced entry to the house? So strange.

Maybe the kidnapper grabbed only one of them, and told the other two that he would kill her if they didn't cooperate and go along with his plan.

Not only are females generally more conciliatory rather than combative in hostile situations, but it's in their instincts to look out for/protect one another.

Either that, or they knew the perpetrator. I personally think it's the latter.

by Anonymousreply 126July 6, 2020 3:45 AM

R126 I have wondered if the mother Sherrill knew the perp or perps and let them into the house and then the women got forced out. The people who went into the house said there were no signs of a struggle inside the house and everything was neat and nothing was stolen and Sherill had several hundred dollars in cash in her purse.

by Anonymousreply 127July 6, 2020 5:00 AM

The Hinterkaifeck murders. So creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 6, 2020 5:02 AM

Springfield Three - it's a popular theory that the abductor(s) were known to the women, which is why the opened the door in the middle of the night. If you read about that case, it is so perplexing. Nothing but one question after another, hopefully it can be solved somehow. It is a total mystery exactly how that crime went down and what happened to the three women. Of course they're all dead, but what really happened that night?

by Anonymousreply 129July 6, 2020 5:08 AM

I've posted this theory before. There was a book turned down on Sherrill's bed. She was reading in bed and heard something, maybe the porchlight breaking. So she opened the door to see what had happened and the perp pushed his way in. Maybe he told the women it was a robbery which is why their purses were lined up. By the time they realized why he was really there it was too late to fight back. This was something BTK had done so his victims would cooperate.

by Anonymousreply 130July 6, 2020 5:09 AM

That's another theory r130. How many of us have heard a weird noise outside at night and opened the door and went outside to investigate without even thinking about it? I think everybody's done that at some point.

by Anonymousreply 131July 6, 2020 5:26 AM

[quote] how many of us have heard a weird noise outside at night and opened the door and went outside to investigate without even thinking about it? I think everybody's done that at some point.

Said no woman ever. Not in real life.

by Anonymousreply 132July 6, 2020 7:58 AM

And a lot of men, R132. And a lot of men.

All of the smart ones, as a matter of fact.

by Anonymousreply 133July 6, 2020 12:40 PM

I've known lots of women who have done that.

by Anonymousreply 134July 6, 2020 1:44 PM

A podcast about Jodi Huisentruit has started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 8, 2020 1:58 AM

A "psychic" discusses Jodi's disappearance. Yikes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 8, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote] I've known lots of women who have done that.

And then they died.

by Anonymousreply 137July 10, 2020 1:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!