Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mysterious deaths and disappearances, true and shocking crimes

Somebody asked for a new, revamped 2016 version of this thread from scratch. I'm happy to oblige, because this topic never gets OLD to me.

I'll start:

Ricky Kasso performing satanic sacrifice/murder on a fellow teen boy in Long Island in the 1980s. Big news then. Still shocking now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292November 13, 2020 4:57 PM

Brandon Lawson disappeared after making this call to 911.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 22, 2016 11:11 PM

If Ricky Kasso got laid he never would have become such a loon. He might have been a closeted queen. A good blow job would have fixed him.

His dad killed himself to boot. a very sad story all around.

by Anonymousreply 2January 22, 2016 11:12 PM

Brandon Lawson disappeared after making this call to 911.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2016 11:13 PM

Very disconcerting, R3. Any leads on this missing case?

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2016 11:27 PM

It sounds like he was running from someone. Still no clues as to happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2016 11:46 PM

more, more

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2016 12:10 AM

Robin Ann Graham-Missing Over 45 Years

On November 14, 1970, 18 year-old Robin Ann Graham spent her Saturday night hanging out with friends. After she dropped her one of her girl friends off, she dropped her car off at Pier One Imports where she worked part time in Los Angeles, CA around 1:45 AM. She left the store driving her boyfriend's car. The car was known to have stalled out around 2:00 AM on the Hollywood Freeway going south near Santa Monica Boulevard and Vermont Ave. A California highway patrol man says he saw her standing next to her car carrying a leather purse, and pulled over to see if she needed help. She claimed that her parents were on the way after she called them and told them she had ran out of gas. Her sister answered that phone call and relayed the message to her parents who arrived home around 2:30 AM.

He later saw her with an unidentified white male in his twenties who had his light blue hard top 1957-1960 Chevrolet Corvette parked behind Robin's boyfriend's car. The unknown man was wearing bell bottom trousers and a white turtle neck top. He stood at about 5'8" in height. The highway patrolman watched the unidentified male get Robin's boyfriend's car started, then they rode off in his car together. The patrolman says it appears Robin got into the man's car willingly.

The next day, her parents searched for Robin and found her car, locked up and abandoned on the side of the freeway. Robin has never been seen or heard from again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2016 12:14 AM

These are always fascinating. I think a lot of people ended up being murdered or wandering off and dying somehow, falling in wells or bodies of water.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2016 12:17 AM

Guess I should add that I think a lot more end up just stumbling off perhaps with a blow to the head and dying from the elements.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2016 12:19 AM

R7, there were quite a few young women who disappeared off of the side of LA freeways in the late 60s, 70s. Each case was the same. A young lady experienced car trouble, and some young (strange) man is seen pulling over to offer help, and the girls are never seen from again.

Mona Jean Gallegos is another sad case with a similar outcome (except Mona Jean's remains were found). Sadly, her sister posts at the site linked below, still searching for answers or her killer..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 23, 2016 12:29 AM

California in the 60s and 70s was a hotbed of weirdness and strange, creepy crimes.

Consider this scene linked below, which was based on a true event, and is similar to other female motorists who met unsavory ends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 23, 2016 12:32 AM

Michael Negrete, who disappeared from his UCLA dorm in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 12January 23, 2016 12:34 AM

Jonathan Peck Murder

Son of Gregory Peck supposedly a suicide but rumored to have been killed by the Manson Familt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 23, 2016 12:46 AM

The 5 Soddu/Sodder kids, who disappeared after a house fire in Fayetteville, WV, in 1945. No remains found at the site of their burned home. Parents always thought fire was purposely set as cover for a kidnapping. Kids possibly spirited to Italy.

Their parents spent their whole lives hoping they'd be found. They never were.

Story is on Wikipedia. Very sad

by Anonymousreply 14January 23, 2016 12:57 AM

The Highway of Tears in western Canada.

40 women killed or disappeared, over the course of about 50 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2016 1:04 AM

R15, TX has the I-45 Corridor killer(s).

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2016 1:07 AM

List of people who disappeared mysteriously

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2016 1:11 AM

[R14] - I just read all about that case in the most recent Reader's Digest. Very strange.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2016 1:18 AM

yes, strange story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2016 1:24 AM

Ricky is a joke. They spray painted "Satin Rules" and the locals were like, no, silk rules.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2016 1:26 AM

Richard Colvin Cox, the only West Point cadet who ever disappeared without being found dead or alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2016 1:32 AM

Michael Rockefeller, who disappeared in Dutch New Guinea.

Dad fought there during ww2 and he always said, "Aw, that guy's soup."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2016 1:43 AM

Beaumont children disappearance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2016 1:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2016 1:48 AM

What was going on with all of the murders in Santa Cruz in the 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2016 1:52 AM

Steven Koecher was last seen on surveillance video parking his car in a cul-de-sac. He crossed the street and disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2016 2:02 AM

Kyron Horman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2016 2:09 AM

Disappeared did an episode about the Koecher guy.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2016 2:16 AM

Charlie Allen Jr., a completely adorable UMASS Dartmouth student who was last seen running into the woods in October of '07, and never seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2016 2:16 AM

The Sodder family disappearance is really odd. Sodder is an Italian name?

In that area, kids with dark hair and eyes would have been hard to hide...in that area of the country blond hair and blue eyes were much more common.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2016 2:17 AM

Amy Bradley case disappeared during a cruise with family in 1998

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2016 2:20 AM

DL fave The Springfield Three

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2016 2:24 AM

I love this

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2016 2:25 AM

Despite all the so called sightings of Amy Lee Bradley I think the simplest explanation is that she got drunk and fell overboard. If someone begged you for help why wouldn't you immediately call police?

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2016 2:25 AM

[quote]Sodder is an Italian name?

"Sodder" was an Anglicized version of whatever the original Italian name was. I agree with the above poster about the kids - there were five of them and they were all very dark and Italian/ethnic-looking. If they had been kept in the area, they really would've stood out among all the WASP-looking kids. They were either taken somewhere far away or killed, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2016 2:28 AM

Jodi Huisentruit, Iowa TV new reporter disappeared in 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2016 2:29 AM

I remember thinking Ricky Kasso was hot back then.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2016 2:33 AM

Robin Graham looks a lot like many of Ted Bundy's victims did and I think Ted spent some time in California.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2016 2:37 AM

R29 .... the guy in your link is not the one you mention.

That guy (Maximus) appears to have been bipolar and off of his meds. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 39January 23, 2016 2:39 AM

Doh .... sorry R22 .........re-reading it I see he CHANGED his name from Charles Allen.

by Anonymousreply 40January 23, 2016 2:40 AM

Ack! All of this death and disapperance! Now there won't be any sleep!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2016 2:41 AM

I am fascinated by the Springfield Three. How do three physically fit adult women get kidnapped at what appeared to be the same time, without any sign of a disturbance or physical evidence? The house was in perfect order and not a thing was knocked over. It just makes no sense. I know they're dead, but I would love to see an explanation of what happened that night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 23, 2016 2:43 AM

If you read the article there was no "satanic cult." Just typical teenage attempts to create a ritual circle for reasons of social power. No different than what he saw his father do as football coach.

by Anonymousreply 43January 23, 2016 2:43 AM

Lorne Landeen case. Missing for thirty years since January 20, 1986. Went jogging and never seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2016 2:47 AM

Here's a horrifying site, with a very disturbing story of a mother stabbing her kids to death for starters.

Knock yourselves out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2016 2:51 AM

In the Springfield case friends and family descended on the house before police were ever called. They made snacks in the kitchen and tidied up the place.

by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2016 2:52 AM

[quote]The house was in perfect order and not a thing was knocked over. It just makes no sense. I know they're dead, but I would love to see an explanation of what happened that night.

IIRC, the porch light was broken.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2016 3:04 AM

Under the article in R13's post about Gregory Peck's son's death is a heartwarming story about a 133 year old former slave getting a set of dentures. Do really think that guy was 133?!?

by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2016 3:05 AM

Missing persons cases are the most heart breaking. I can't fathom a parent, sibling, or close friend going missing and never turning up. It's gotta be a unique and enduring pain.

It's a cold universe that allows that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2016 3:07 AM

This list might have answers to the cases where people disappeared...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2016 3:09 AM

The porch light was broken, but that was it. The friends and family member did not tidy up Sherrill Levitt's house, they all said nothing was out of place from the beginning. There are stories that the three women's bodies were buried in a hospital parking garage that was then under construction. The hospital is about a five-minute drive from the house. Sonar has uncovered three anomalies under the concrete that could be human remains, but so far no digging has occurred.

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2016 3:13 AM

Never realized that Henry Rollins was with Dennis Cole's son Joe (in 1991) when they were both robbed at gunpoint. Apparently Henry was told to go into the house and get more money and the robbers shot Joe Cole and took off.

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2016 3:21 AM

R30 R35, Soddu was the original spelling. Sardinian or Sicilian, I think.

There had been reports to the police immediately following the fire, of a group of children matching the Sodder kid's descriptions, at a diner or somesuch. They were accompanied by adults, reportedly speaking a foreign language. But nothing came of it & no trace of them was ever found.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2016 3:22 AM

R23 read about the Beaumont kids' story too. Heartbreaking. No trace, never found.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2016 3:26 AM

Agree R49 .... was reading a story on that Charley Project site about three 17 year old boys who took a homemade 10 ft boat out on a river and disappeared and were presumed dead (in 1986)

There were age projected photographs for each of them of how they would look at around 45 years of age and I thought how sad it is their families still have such hope after 28 years to take the time to have that work done.

Tragic. Survivors just never recover ......... and I hate the thought that some people disappear intentionally and allow such suffering for others.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2016 3:27 AM

Sad 'Resolved Cases' section of the Charley Project.

Nice to see the words FOUND SAFE with some of the cases ......

Jeez ....one woman was identified when her leg was found in the ocean. Another woman's remains were found behind a wall in her apartment closet were OTHER PEOPLE HAD LIVED FOR SIX YEARS SINCE HER DISAPPEARANCE.

Creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2016 3:36 AM

"When her leg was found in the ocean."

I'll come back in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2016 3:44 AM

This was a big case for years in the Bay Area:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2016 3:44 AM

life -- and death -- is so fucking random.

this is why I don't believe in the Secret and other laws of attraction; how could these people, this poor souls, have 'attracted' such gruesome fates to themselves.

makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2016 3:45 AM

This is the kind of case that kills me. Cruel. Even if there were reasons she did it .... someone cared enough to worry and report her missing.

Kratzer, 20, disappeared from Roanoke, Louisiana on June 25, 1982. In October 2015, authorities discovered her fate: she had walked out of her life, changed her name to Lisa Neese, and given birth to a daughter before dying of cancer in 2008, at the age of 46.

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2016 3:49 AM

Nancy MacDuckston (October 2006, Sylvia Browne claimed this women left her family and joined a religious cult.)

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2016 3:51 AM

Reading some of these tragic resolved cases makes me more impressed with DNA advances. Some of the cases solved are with remains from 1976.

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2016 3:55 AM

How does one go about changing their identity? Don't you need birth certificates, social security numbers?

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2016 3:57 AM

There's a very quiet supposition that a lawyer who 'accidentally' drowned about 5 years ago near where I live may have in actual fact faked his death.

His wife worked in an office and around the time her husband disappeared, she quit her job.

They lived in a very upscale part of the area, and he loved to go out kayaking or whatever in his inflatable 'boat'. One day he told his wife he was going kayaking and was very late getting home. She called the cops, huge search and rescue went on the days, no body. Nothing except for one shoe which was found in the boat and washed up near the shore.

Friend of mine knows one of the searchers who is a local and the sense is that the 'missing' person organized the fake accident, and is hiding somewhere.

No proof of course. Very eerie. I remember chatting to this missing person a few years ago too. Double creepy.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2016 3:59 AM

Did the wife move too R64?

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2016 4:01 AM

Reading more of these resolved cases and it seems that if the missing person was over 20 years old, you rarely see 'Found Safe' ..... mostly kidnappings by a non custodial parent are found safe.

A number of people's remains found in cars in bodies of water.

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2016 4:21 AM

Many times, the missing people's remains aren't found for years because the police don't do a very good job searching.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2016 4:24 AM

There should be a crime show drama like the old 'Cold Case' show called 'Under Investigation' ..... so many of the remains found under 'resolved cases' are NOT really resolved. They're identified and labelled as 'Under Investigation'.

More cops should go into the private investigation business once they retire. Looks like there is a ton of work to be done. They could probably make a decent living without overcharging families that are looking for a resolution. But unfortunately money would need to be spent if the police are going to just keep 'investigating'.

I know there are a lot of internet 'web sleuths' that do it as a hobby. I recently saw a documentary about a guy who was doing drawings of facial reconstructions with that website and a girl was identified after he did a facial reconstruction of her decomposed face that had suffered a gunshot.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2016 4:31 AM

I remember the Jodi Huistentruit case, that was a national news story at the time. I think what happened to that poor woman was that some psycho watched her on the news, became obsessed, and found out where she lived. It's a horrible story, and after all these years I doubt what really happened will ever be discovered.

It's too bad that she didn't live in an apartment building with security.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2016 4:39 AM

I think cops knew Jodi Huistentruit had a stalker or two...

Poor gal.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2016 4:43 AM

There are recent theories that Jodi Huisentruit may have been killed by a serial rapist who had been living in the same city as her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2016 5:06 AM

Even though it is long off the air, Unsolved Mysteries still has an active website and updates its old rerun shows if new information is found

by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2016 12:02 PM

I personally know of a case of "disappearance" of a father and his 5 year old son from New York back in 1973. The case was extensively written about in the New York and national media, and for many years, there were stories updating and asking for information, etc. about the father/son, but there were never any leads. They had simply vanished without a trace.

In this case, there was a happy ending of sorts. 14 years after the disappearance, the wife/mother answered the door of her home one day, and standing in front of her was a young man of 19 who shyly said "Hi Mom, it's me, Chris". Turns out the father had taken his son, snuck over the border into Canada, caught a plane for Europe, changed their names and stayed under police radar for all those years, moving several times when people became too inquisitive.

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2016 1:10 PM

I knew a girl who disappeared. But then she mysteriously died.

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2016 1:38 PM

I know a Man who was brutally executed, but then mysteriously came back to Life.

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2016 1:47 PM

And then there's the Dyatlov Pass incident, which really deserves a thread of it's own.

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2016 2:27 PM

There have been numerous threats about the Dyatlov Pass incident here, R76. DL's search doesn't turn up much but a site specific search of DL at Google turns up quite a bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2016 2:52 PM

^ numerous threads, not threats. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2016 2:56 PM

10 Of The Strangest Missing Persons Cases in the United States (article from March 2015)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 23, 2016 3:52 PM

BRANDON SWANSON

As Brian and Annette Swanson drove toward Lynd, Brian talked to Brandon on his cellphone. "I talked to him for 47 minutes, and all of a sudden, he said, 'Oh, s---!' and the phone went dead," Brian Swanson said. "There was nothing after that."

(Police believe he may have fallen into a river but no body has ever been found)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2016 4:43 PM

I remember seeing the Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman case on Unsolved Mysteries years ago. Very sad case and I felt bad for Lauria's family because it seems like Lauria was at the wrong place at the wrong time. The Freeman family was shady as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 81January 23, 2016 5:15 PM

R48 That was what caught my attention as well. I was in college in 1975, and it doesn't exactly seem like eons ago to me. Can you imagine that there was an actual slave still with us? That made me realize that when I was a little kid in the late 50s/early 60s there were probably lots of former slave old timers in their final years...but I was too young to even understand the historical nature of such an occurrence. I remember our housekeeper in Sea Island, Ga was a "Geechie" and she would tell me all kinds of tales about the bravery and dignity of the Geechies. Her son, Jim Brown the HOF football player is of geechie stock. Even though she was a bit too young to have been a slave, I bet her father was one, and I bet she could have told all sorts of stories she learned from him. I only wish I had realized what a gem I was being exposed to at that time.

by Anonymousreply 82January 23, 2016 6:02 PM

The Bear Brook murders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2016 8:07 PM

Really strange R83. No one is missing those girls? No family or friends who noticed all of them gone? I always think it so odd when the bodies of dead children are not claimed despite massive media coverage. You would think that, somewhere, a grandparent or aunt would come forward.

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2016 8:30 PM

Lori Erica Kennedy Ruff ran from her past for unknown reasons and assumed two different identities before killing herself in 2010. Her true identity remains unknown. Her husband's family persuaded him to leave her due to her strange, secretive behavior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 23, 2016 9:10 PM

Did they ever find baby boy doe?

by Anonymousreply 86January 23, 2016 9:10 PM

I remember reading about Penny Bell awhile ago. This part is so distressing:

[quote]Witnesses recalled the car driving along Greenford Road at about 10am very slowly with its hazard lights flashing. A witness came forward some time after the murder and claimed he saw her driving into the car park with a passenger, and silently mouthing an appeal for help, which he ignored.

I hope that asshole is haunted for the rest of his life for not trying to help that poor woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 23, 2016 9:50 PM

Sumter County Does case. Bodies of unidentified man and woman were found in Sumter County, SC in 1976.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 23, 2016 9:56 PM

Sounds like she possibly pissed off one of the guys doing her house to me r87. That link has very little info.

by Anonymousreply 89January 23, 2016 9:56 PM

R89 - I'm sure I read something more in depth than the Wikipedia page that implied she was having an affair with someone - hence the appointment that wasn't noted in her planner.

by Anonymousreply 90January 23, 2016 10:02 PM

I wonder if Jill Dando's murder will ever be solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 23, 2016 10:07 PM

Jill dando never gets solved!

by Anonymousreply 92January 23, 2016 10:27 PM

Matt Mullaney. I walk past that pub very often and try to imagine what happened to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 23, 2016 10:38 PM

Ronni Chasen- I still think it's unsolved and the guy who committed suicide isn't the killer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2016 10:47 PM

Justice for Ronnie!

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2016 10:48 PM

What about DL fave The Keddie Murders? Will they ever be solved?

Apparently one of the most gruesome crime scenes ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 23, 2016 11:41 PM

What about the Doodler? Serial killer who killed 14 gay men, after drawing their pictures, in SF in the mid-1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 23, 2016 11:48 PM

These mysterious disappearances make me wonder just how many serial killers go undetected and are never caught? I suppose it's possible that more go undetected than not.

by Anonymousreply 98January 23, 2016 11:59 PM

10 People Who Vanished Into Thin Air

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2016 12:14 AM

Did they find the killer of former Senator Charles Percy's daughter?

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2016 12:25 AM

One of the most bizarre cases I ever saw on Unsolved Mysteries was the murders of two women who were both named Mary Morris. They both lived in Houston and were murdered within three days of each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2016 1:07 AM

No mention of the alien greys and their abductions? Supposedly the government knows about the abductions/murders/experiments but turns a blind eye to it all.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2016 1:25 AM

maybe some of these people cross over into another dimension or go into the past ?

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2016 1:28 AM

This thread is sad, scary and fascinating. Thanks for starting it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2016 1:36 AM

[quote]If someone begged you for help why wouldn't you immediately call police?

That would all depend on what I was doing to her at the time, R34.

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2016 1:38 AM

Chiam Weiss. Viewers of Unsolved Mysteries would know this case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2016 1:39 AM

Have to agree with the last commenter, I think it was an adult. Particularly with the one-blow kill. Somebody who knew what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2016 1:48 AM

"Mary Anderson" committed suicide by cyanide in a Seattle hotel room in 1996. Her identity, like Lori Ruff's, remains a mystery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2016 1:48 AM

If I were investigating the Chaim case, I'd look very hard at whoever assigned him that room.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2016 1:53 AM

Keith Warren Case- Another case that was on Unsolved Mysteries. His death was ruled suicide, however several things point to it being a homicide and the police in Montgomery County, Maryland have been shady and uncooperative with the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2016 3:11 AM

I have been reading about some of the cases here, but am now going out to pick up a pizza at Papa Johns in Westfield, near where Herb Baumeister's estate is. I went to the same bars he picked up victims during the same years but I don't recall seeing him. I guess I might have, since I used to go out 4 or 5 nights a week.

by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2016 3:41 AM

No mystery there, R111

by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2016 3:54 AM

Quite shocking the wall of silence in the Chaim Weiss case. Obviously an inside job, seems like he was killed to prevent him from talking - molestation going on perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2016 4:39 AM

R113 It was to do with his father. It was definitely planned and premeditated.

One that has always struck me as horrible was one from Unsolved Mysteries. Kevin Ives and Donald Henry. Their dead bodies were left on train tracks with one of them being stabbed in 1987. A green tarp was originally covering the boys' bodies but when the conductor, after failing to stop in time and running over the bodies with his train, went back to check the green tarp was gone. It also resembled another case in Oklahoma in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2016 5:26 AM

Satan in the Suburbs, a documentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2016 5:35 AM

The Mystery of Room 1046. Link to part 2 is at the bottom of the page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2016 6:05 AM

The disappearance of Lourdes Gruart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 24, 2016 6:07 AM

The Sarasota Mummy Murder

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 24, 2016 6:11 AM

Bryan Nisenfeld, Age 18

Suicide because he was about to be outted/personal problems ? Or murdered by a threatening ex lover ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 24, 2016 7:05 AM

[quote] The last item out of the first-aid kit was a cork-handled knife; manufactured for use by scuba divers, tonight the four-inch blade would be a maestro’s baton in a symphony of death.

[quote] Then as now, deviants in the Sunshine State were plentiful as mosquitos; detectives subsequently interrogated all known area sex offenders but were unable to develop any leads.

Wow, whoever wrote up the Sarasota mummy murder case is one big Mary!

by Anonymousreply 120January 24, 2016 7:13 AM

Gee R117 --- I wonder why Lourdes went missing and no one reported it for two weeks ....

"Lourdes would say, 'If you can't do something for me, I don't want to know you.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 24, 2016 7:21 AM

I'm gonna guess R121, the brother Mario. The cops flubbed that one. NY cops, not bright and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 122January 24, 2016 8:44 AM

I'm so embarrassed for these dumb reddit and their comments. Could people be so dumb? Sex traffickers abduct a 46 year old woman because that's what the clients want. Gody!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2016 9:09 AM

I'd just love to know the cops that let this case fall through and revoke their badges. Also, where is this Mario, because they let him go to just kill again. Unbelievable!

You'd think NY would have better detectives/police than some podunk town, but no. We now know better..

by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2016 9:20 AM

Lazy cops will never reopen this case. Reopen this case. It's a slam dunk. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2016 9:23 AM

R102, I can't with you. GODY!

by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2016 9:26 AM

And you think I died in the Bunker? Ha Ha! LOL

by Anonymousreply 127January 24, 2016 12:37 PM

The Springfield Three is the one missing persons case that I would love to see finally solved, although that looks unlikely. Everything about it is so strange, just one question after another.

by Anonymousreply 128January 24, 2016 12:48 PM

Where is chandler massey's career?

by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2016 1:47 PM

Websleuths is full on with dingbat fraus talking in circles. Lori Ruff thread. What a waste on bandwidth. Delete this crap, it's embarrassing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2016 2:11 PM

I agree, R130. The Websleuths ladies we attract are nutty. A few years ago I said as much, and referenced one of the lawsuits the website's owner was involved in. That started some Websleuth frau stalking me on DL. She complained that my "obsession" was "the creepiest thing she ever saw," even though it was one whole comment.

So, yeah, I don't think folks like that are going to be doing a lot of solid detective work.

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2016 2:27 PM

I've visited the Websleuths board on occasion, and yes it's full of fraus and paranoid conspiracy types. The conversations often veer off into nutjob-land, that has no relation to the original topic. I wish there were a forum to discuss various crimes that stays on-topic and the discussions are serious, without all the crazies and fraus yelling at everyone.

by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2016 2:38 PM

There are some posters on Websleuths that aren't nuts. They do their best to form theories on what is known in many of the unsolved cases. With Springfield Three case, there was a nut on Websleuths that claimed he/she had dreams in which one of the women would speak to him/her.

Some of the reddit threads on crimes both unsolved and solved attract a lot of "nutty detective wannabes". During the search for the Boston marathon bombers, many redditors went nuts and were targeting Sunil Tripathi as the culprit. They were targeting him because he had gone missing a few weeks before and looked similar to the bombers. Tripathi had known history of depression and his family was desperately trying to find him and had set up a Facebook page. The poor family was harassed online and by phone. Police even looked at Sunil as a suspect. Sunil's body was found in a river later on and his death was ruled a suicide. The redittors who accused him tried to backtrack on a lot of their comments. After that whole incident, I started to avoid reddit crime threads. Some are/ were a lot like the Websleuth nuts.

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2016 2:46 PM

R68, they could just make a show documenting the websleuths and profiling the mysteries they're working on. It would be cheaper than trying to portray detectives as still losing sleep over 15+ year old disappearances, etc.

I'd watch it; I mean god knows there are worse ideas made into shows.

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2016 4:17 PM

I had only read up to R68 when I posted- I haven't read the whole thread yet. I'm using the term 'websleuths' loosely- not strictly limited to those who live on that website.

A show could be made about family members, friends of the missing or dead, and amateur sleuths who are still trying to find out what happened. The case would be profiled in the program and the 'leads' the amateur investigator found could be explored. In some cases, surely there is law enforcement corruption or TPTB that have unjustly shut some cases down- the show could shed some light on these poor people. Netflix or Amazon could make it.

by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2016 4:38 PM

The Case of Caitlyn Jenner's penis. Did she or didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 136January 24, 2016 5:10 PM

Jim Carrey's career - still missing

by Anonymousreply 137January 24, 2016 8:54 PM

No the wife remained r65. It was the husband who 'died. ' Within months she asked authorities to have her husband declared dead on account of financial hardship.

Case will probably never be solved. As mentioned some locals in the area where he 'died' are not convinced he actually died.

by Anonymousreply 138January 24, 2016 8:59 PM

The Sarasota Mummy

by Anonymousreply 139January 24, 2016 9:05 PM

Former child actor Joe Pichler disappeared in January 2006. His best known role was as the little brother in Varsity Blues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140January 24, 2016 9:43 PM

[quote] One of the most bizarre cases I ever saw on Unsolved Mysteries was the murders of two women who were both named Mary Morris. They both lived in Houston and were murdered within three days of each other.

Huh. Sarah Connor?

by Anonymousreply 141January 24, 2016 9:46 PM

[quote] Somebody asked for a new, revamped 2016 version of this thread from scratch.

No, D.a.v.i.d.a. Nobody asked you to redo your stupid repetitive murder threads for the millionth time.

Ricky Kasso was a lowlife drug dealer, not a Satanist. He liked heavy metal music and thought he was a badass, but he offed himself in jail before there could be a trial, end of story.

by Anonymousreply 142January 24, 2016 10:02 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 143January 25, 2016 4:51 PM

I knew a few IT types on the spectrum and they were members of Reddit. That site is Aspieland.

by Anonymousreply 144January 25, 2016 7:16 PM

If you think Websleuths is full of crazies you need to check out a site called Psychic Detectives run by an old horse faced blond. You'll suffer from PTSD if you dare sign up there and read posts by society's delusional outside the fringes poor saps. But, hey you'll feel better about your own sanity. The bright side.

by Anonymousreply 145January 25, 2016 7:21 PM

Wait R142, is DumbVida or Davida an older lesbian who claims to be from Canada or Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2016 7:30 PM

That story on the model's disappearance is one of the saddest thing i've ever read... and the way the writer described Mario SCREAMS "guilty". unbelievable they couldn't catch him.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2016 8:25 PM

10 MORE controversial missing person cases (article is from 2013, so I don't know if any have been resolved)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2016 11:44 PM

Was Websleuths the source of the eye-rollingly crass fraus who wandered over here last year during the cracking of the Soft Butch Sous Chef case, which they did nothing but impede?

by Anonymousreply 149January 26, 2016 12:16 AM

10 Unsolved Mysteries Involving Disturbing Phone Messages

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 26, 2016 2:24 AM

10 Serial killers that were never identified.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 26, 2016 3:21 AM

They need to identify EAR ONS.

by Anonymousreply 152January 26, 2016 6:50 PM

I had never heard about Lori Ruff before. Interesting story. She was definitely running from something to go to such lengths to change her identity.

Websleuths is a mixed bag. It can be very frau-ish but there are some competent amateurs in there. I was really pissed off that the one case I actually have a very vague connection to and some (nothing major, my sister used to know one of the victim's boyfriends) was one of the threads over run by morons who didn't seem to know anything about the case.

by Anonymousreply 153January 26, 2016 7:09 PM

Here's a weird one. The voicemail left by Henry McCabe who was later found dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154January 27, 2016 1:25 AM

Brian Shaffer, Ohio medical student missing since 2006

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 27, 2016 1:34 AM

These missing persons cases where people go missing in public places with lots of foot traffic, people milling about, etc. are really scary. There was a college student at one of the SUNYs back in the late 90s who vanished without a trace as she was walking around the campus early one evening. I'll have to look that one up and post it here.

by Anonymousreply 156January 27, 2016 1:40 AM

Anyone else think that many of these sudden disappearances, esp of children & young women, are not happenstance, but rather, part of organized human trafficking rings?

by Anonymousreply 157January 27, 2016 2:35 AM

Great thread - thank you OP.

by Anonymousreply 158January 27, 2016 4:07 AM

The boy in the box is disturbing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 27, 2016 4:15 AM

One of the leading theories about Lori Ruff is that she had escaped from a fundamentalist Mormon sect that hunted down and murdered apostate members.

by Anonymousreply 160January 27, 2016 4:22 AM

The Precious Doe/Erica Green was sad and disturbing. At least there was justice for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 27, 2016 5:12 AM

Suzy Lyall was the girl I was thinking of. She was a SUNY Albany student who disappeared into thin air after getting off the bus on campus one evening. A college campus in a well-lit, heavily trafficked area, and she was just gone. Creepy stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 27, 2016 10:42 AM

The Suzanne Jovin murder at Yale still haunts me. Apparently, they had an unnamed suspect who has since died. What a shame for the family that no arrest was made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2016 11:54 AM

To R152, I thought people on here have said EONS is Steve Bren. His dad developed the neighborhood and also owns a horse ranch. His resemblance to Kirk Cameron was noted in that thread here along with the rope tying. Can you link to that thread?

by Anonymousreply 164January 27, 2016 5:06 PM

R162, yes but her killer is still out there. He met her on old Web chat groups. He was a computer science/math major up at SUNY. He now resides in Brooklyn, works in Manhattan. A friend's ex told some of us that he confessed to her that he was the killer while on X one night in 2008. The next day he took it back. Years later she looked up who would have been missing at Albany and other places he lived. She freaked when Suzy was a dead ringer for his long term relationship in his twenties. She also found receipts among some of the boxes he left behind in her basement. They were from the computer store known as Babbages where Suzy worked.

by Anonymousreply 165January 27, 2016 5:18 PM

I thought the ex of this guy turned into a crazy frau type. She did temporarily after she dumped him and got him out of the house and discovered who she was living with. A girl of 23 went missing in her town. Ditched in a jogging trail in October 2013. Cops are dumb in her town, so they'll never solve it. It's on Long Island. He got away with other crimes in that town by easily duping cops and detectives. She discovered he posted multiple ads for amateur porn girls in Craigslist. She got into his computer files to prove he was hacking her. She later found his porn sites and other disturbing facts. Cue mental breakdown. She lost thirty pounds. He tried to strangle her as well. When she looked up the murdered girl in her town she started shaking uncontrollably when she saw she was a dead ringer for his baby sister he was furious with because she had a son out of wedlock with absentee father, just like his mother did to him. So in essence, he was killing his sister and mother at the same time. She believes he is responsible for dumping a woman's corpse in the marina behind his favorite custard shop. Dolly's in Mill Basin Brooklyn. It's where he lived before moving in with her out on Long Island. He was a strange, shy guy hiding behind a geeky nerd facade. The Mill Basin dump also continues to go unsolved.

by Anonymousreply 166January 27, 2016 5:46 PM

The guy is 42 or 43 years old. He's been seeing a psychologist since he was fifteen. He had to switch schools at that time but told her it was because he was being bullied but it turns out that wasn't the case. His stepfather's parents also enrolled him in church and he received communion at this time. He also confessed to her he would often hurt his baby half sister when he was twelve. His mother and stepfather took their two daughters and moved to Orlando, deserting him. He had to move in with his homosexual scout master who helped him attend uni at SUNY Albany. He's a sex and porn addict. His bio father abandoned him and spent lots of time in prison as a petty mobster. He's the quintessential psychopath AND he's still out there.

by Anonymousreply 167January 27, 2016 6:13 PM

Is there any proof, documentation that this Mormon sect had actually hunted down and killed anyone? Because if there isn't then it's kind of a stretch. I'd believe she was Amish before I'd believe that. That Lori looks to be Native American to me. I'm getting she was deeply ashamed by her roots. She did go all out to get a college degree. Even declaring bankruptcy, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 168January 27, 2016 6:24 PM

The Ray Gricar disappearance is fascinating due to his family history, Jerry Sandusky case, and the day of his disappearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 28, 2016 7:17 PM

Richey Edwards from Manic Street Preachers. In 1995 his car was found abandoned near Severn bridge, location known for suicides. He had a history of mental health issues. No one knows what happened to him. He was declared dead in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 170January 28, 2016 7:42 PM

The EAR-ONS/Original Night Stalker case takes the cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 28, 2016 7:57 PM

I read the Ray Gricar Wiki and it left out a very important detail. When investigators looked at his car (which was found just hours after his girlfriend reported him missing) there were cigarette ashes on the floor of the front passenger side. Gricar didn't smoke, and didn't allow anyone to smoke in his car - he hated the smell of cig smoke and this was well-known among everybody who knew him. So who the hell was in his car?

by Anonymousreply 172January 28, 2016 10:41 PM

There's a message board dedicated to the EAR-ONS case but I have to admit that based on the few times I've visited the site I found it pretty slow and boring ( and some of the people are strange and angry). Supposedly some of the victims' family members post their on occasion.

I find disappearances ( without a trace) quite frightening because I want to believe that this sort of thing can't happen in modern society but clearly it can.

by Anonymousreply 173January 28, 2016 11:08 PM

My mother's friend’s husband’s niece was murdered by Ted Bundy. The girl was going to college and living in a dorm. They found her body on the campus covered in a bush murdered and raped. Ted Bundy was right around at that location at the time and there is no doubt he was the one who raped and murdered her. The family were super rich and they had so many tragedies and they were so screwed up too, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 174January 29, 2016 9:42 AM

How'd we miss THIS one for twenty plus years ?? Creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175February 14, 2016 1:15 AM

R38 I've posted before on DL that I went to elementary school with Linda Bundy, Ted Bundy's sister, and was babysat by their mother in their home after school while Ted was living there. As soon as I saw the photo of Robin Graham, I immediately thought that she looked like many of Ted's victims. I did a quick search to refresh my memory, and Ted could have been in CA at the time of her disappearance. Ted was dating "Stephanie Brooks" (a pseudonym) between 1968 and 1974. He met her at the University of Washington, but she moved to CA (IIRC, she was at Stanford) and, they broke up for awhile, but he started dating her again while she was in CA, and introduced her to people as his fiancee. He broke it off in 1974. She never heard from him again. Ted's known murders began in 1974, but some investigators believe he began as early as the 1960s with the possible murder of 8-year-old Ann Marie Burr of Tacoma, and Ted alluded to earlier murders without incriminating himself.

Robin Graham is a classic Ted Bundy victim- beautiful, wealthy, dark-haired. She was exactly the type Ted would go after. He could very possibly have murdered her. The timeline fits, and so does she.

by Anonymousreply 176February 20, 2016 9:11 AM

I guess it's much too late to uncover who the hell the Zodiac Killer was? America's modern Jack the Ripper?

by Anonymousreply 177February 24, 2016 2:00 AM

[quote]I guess it's much too late to uncover who the hell the Zodiac Killer was?

Sadly, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 178February 24, 2016 4:42 AM

Tara Calico case in New Mexico.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179February 25, 2016 1:44 AM

Brandon Lawson would probably still be alive if hadn't had such a shitty drawl.

by Anonymousreply 180February 25, 2016 7:59 PM

How could give kids be taken from a home without any noise being made? They had to be taken before the fire and s brother was in the couch and a sister just gone to bed.

by Anonymousreply 181February 26, 2016 7:16 PM

I'm guessing Lorne Landeen committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 182February 26, 2016 9:50 PM

I sometimes wonder if some of the pretty young blonde girls who go missing are abducted and sold into slavery or prostitution in some god forsken country where blonde white girls are a precious commodity.

And then there's Mark Kilroy, a blond University of Texas pre-med student who was singled out for being a smart gringo, was abducted while on Spring Break with buddies in Matamoros, Mexico, and used as a human sacrifice by satanic drug smugglers seeking protection from enemy forces.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183February 26, 2016 10:51 PM

Bradford Bishop, who brutally slaughtered his family in 1976 and then disappeared. I've lived in Montgomery County, MD since the early 70s, and we are still haunted by that tragedy. It's so frustrating not to know where he went, what he did, if he's still alive hiding in plain sight, or if he died long ago. We want closure.

by Anonymousreply 184February 26, 2016 11:01 PM

Whatever happened to Baby Jane ?

by Anonymousreply 185February 26, 2016 11:12 PM

The Bradford Bishop case is quite haunting. I remember a similar case in which a man murder his wife and kids, changed his name, and married a woman and was caught later on.

by Anonymousreply 186February 27, 2016 3:46 AM

Jesse Ross disappearance 2006- He was a college student from Missouri. He was in Chicago at a mock UN conference that was held a hotel. During the mock conference, there was a 2 am "emergency meeting" called. Witnesses said that Jesse left that meeting for 30 a minute break. One of the surveillance cameras showed him on camera. He was never seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 9, 2016 9:17 PM

Death by mock UN emergency meeting:

Does it be any more dorky than that?

by Anonymousreply 188March 9, 2016 9:25 PM

[quote] Great thread - thank you OP.

Duhvida thanks herself again.

by Anonymousreply 189March 9, 2016 9:32 PM

I remember the Mark Kilroy case. Back then, it was still very common for spring breakers in Padre Island to cross over the bridge into Matamoras. Hell, I remember going as a kid to shop with my parents. His murder is what brought the cartel violence to the public attention and it's just gotten worse. Before that no one really thought about border violence.

by Anonymousreply 190March 9, 2016 9:40 PM

Uber Dumbvida thread, lol

Satanism, white slavery, the zodiac killer, Manson, Bundy, et al.

I'm too lazy to see if she dragged alien abductions into it.

by Anonymousreply 191March 9, 2016 9:41 PM

How come nobody wants to abduct ME and drink MY blood?

by Anonymousreply 192March 9, 2016 9:58 PM

Mock UN Conference ..... is that just a gay nerd meeting ??

by Anonymousreply 193March 9, 2016 10:16 PM

Walking out and about in Chicago at 2:30 AM sounds really dangerous, Yikes. The crime there is highly intense. He sounds like he was a sweet kid. It sounds something happened right between the threshold of the hotel and outside as if someone inside of the building grab him? It also sounds like he was naïve and maybe a little too trusting and someone raped and murdered him? Or possibly another student at the mock UN Conference had some screws lose and murdered him possibly as a result of bulling him?

by Anonymousreply 194March 9, 2016 11:26 PM

Chicago and Columbus both have rivers so Ross and Shaffer could both have fallen in like dozens of drunk Midwestern guys have over the years. Thing is neither of those rivers is that big and it seems unlikely to me that neither body ever surfaced or washed up downstream. The Chicago river doesn't even flow out to Lake Michigan. I remember following both cases at the time (2006). Hard to believe it has been a decade.

by Anonymousreply 195March 10, 2016 12:08 AM

Totally Duhvida is right.

by Anonymousreply 196March 10, 2016 3:39 AM

Vincent is still out there. Making innocents pay for the fact that his mother was a dirty skankin' whore. You'll look back at this post when he goes up for felony charges in early 2017. Right, Vincent?

by Anonymousreply 197March 10, 2016 4:57 AM

Vincent killed that girl up in Albany. He also killed that girl Sarah in Huntington, New York. Dumped her on the bike trails. She represented his whorey, breeding sister just like his mama. Dropped a bitch in Mill Basin too.

by Anonymousreply 198March 10, 2016 5:04 AM

Who is Vincenzo?

by Anonymousreply 199March 11, 2016 6:11 AM

Joey LaBute, just last weekend in Columbus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 11, 2016 11:21 AM

R200, what a handsome guy and young too. So sad people can't walk around freely without turning out missing. This may sound like a stupid question, but are there guys who kidnap, raped and murder other guys? I have rarely hear anything reported like that and I was wondering if that dose happen?

by Anonymousreply 201March 18, 2016 10:03 AM

[quote]This may sound like a stupid question, but are there guys who kidnap, raped and murder other guys? I have rarely hear anything reported like that and I was wondering if that dose happen?

It has happened as in some of the serial killer cases. Didn't Jeffrey Dahmer kidnap some of his victims?

Some of the men reported missing are probably murder victims. Jesse Ross, the college kid who went missing in Chicago looked he would have been an easy target for some psycho.

by Anonymousreply 202March 19, 2016 12:16 AM

[quote]Disappeared did an episode about the Koecher guy.

Disappeared is coming back to the I.D. channel on April 11. It always was my favorite show on that network, very eerie and creepy when people just disappear out of the blue.

by Anonymousreply 203March 24, 2016 9:50 AM

R92 Jill Dando is related to the British pedophile ring. she was very good friends with pedophile, Cliff Richard. Three children were children were killed by that ring and quite possibly Dando as well. People thought The Vatican was bad, The British government was worse.

by Anonymousreply 204March 24, 2016 10:03 AM

r204 The police not only raided Cliff Richard's house they informed the press beforehand so the raid was covered in the national news in the hope that it would tarnish his reputation before being found guilty of anything others would come forward to accuse him. That was years ago and they still haven't found anything to arrest him for. But well done for parroting the corrupt police line that he's a paedo without proof or conviction.

Also, the source of the accusation that children were murdered by a pedophile ring in government has been shown to be a "complete fantasist" and he's wasted untold hours of police time and public money. Everyone who was publicly behind him seems to have quietly backed away and dropped the matter because his accusations were shown to be total bunk that only a severely delusional conspiracy theorist would entertain.

by Anonymousreply 205March 24, 2016 10:15 AM

R177 Re: The Zodiac.

UNSOLVED MURDERS OF THE NAPA VALLEY by Harry V. Martin

The website darcsfalcon dot wordpress dot com/zodiac/ has reprinted the Zodiac relevant sections from a 2002 series published in the Napa Sentinel by Mr. Martin. I believe the Zodiac suspect he named in the article is THE most likely out of all of the suspects.

by Anonymousreply 206April 18, 2016 12:31 AM

Don't you think the Zodiac killer was the fat guy who lived in the basement or trailer or whatever it was and some people won't admit it was him because he is not glamorous and the mystery ends?

by Anonymousreply 207April 18, 2016 1:18 AM

R207 DNA and handwriting rule out Arthur Leigh Allen.

by Anonymousreply 208April 18, 2016 1:26 AM

But he isn't completely rules out, is he, R208?

In 2002, SFPD developed a partial DNA profile from the saliva on stamps and envelopes of Zodiac's letters. SFPD compared this partial DNA to the DNA of Arthur Leigh Allen.[57][58] A DNA comparison was also made with the DNA of Don Cheney, who was Allen's former close friend and the first person to suggest Allen may be the Zodiac Killer. Since neither test result indicated a match, Allen and Cheney were excluded as the contributors of the DNA, though it cannot be stated definitively that it is DNA from the Zodiac on the envelopes

There are actually a lot of things that tie him to the case.

by Anonymousreply 209April 18, 2016 1:30 AM

Well, yes, Allen was **excluded** as a contributor. [stamp on Zodiac letter]. His handwriting was also excluded, as was his physical description. Allen was 6'1", but survivors described a not very tall man of around 5'8".

Please read the piece I referenced. Mr. Hunter actually had a lot of things that tie him to the case.

by Anonymousreply 210April 18, 2016 1:40 AM

Just to add, Robert Graysmith has a lot invested in Allen as the prime Zodiac suspect, but Graysmith needs to face facts. Not that he cares, necessarily. He's already made his fortune off the case.

by Anonymousreply 211April 18, 2016 1:42 AM

I think it's likely that the Zodiac case will be solved. There is actually a fair amount of evidence there.

by Anonymousreply 212April 18, 2016 2:09 AM

R204 Richard has a home on the Algarve, from whence Madeleine McCann reportedly 'went missing'.

R205 Right right, they ALL turn out to be 'complete fantasists' don't they? And yet, SOMEBODYS who are very rich are making those billions per year off CP and those poor children have to come from somewhere. They weren't conjured out of thin air.

by Anonymousreply 213April 18, 2016 2:37 AM

[quote]Richard has a home on the Algarve, from whence Madeleine McCann reportedly 'went missing'.

Well, with proof like that I'm surprised they haven't arrested Richard already!

by Anonymousreply 214April 18, 2016 8:18 AM

R214 Who said it was proof of anything? I think it's a potentially interesting factoid, given the allegations against Richard.

by Anonymousreply 215April 18, 2016 3:38 PM

[quote]I think it's a potentially interesting factoid, given the allegations against Richard.

You mean allegations against Richard that the police have been totally unable to prove or find any evidence of, despite taking the shocking step of publicizing a raid of his house before it was even carried out? And the interesting factoid is that he owns a home in the Algarve, which is literally one of the most popular tourist destinations in the whole of Europe and has a population of half a million residents?

That's a very low bar for suspicion, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 216April 18, 2016 3:51 PM

Lyle Stevik

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 20, 2016 8:47 PM

The John List case has always fascinated me especially how the murder mansion burned down a year after the murders.

by Anonymousreply 218July 21, 2016 1:08 AM

There is no mystery there, R218... Is there?

by Anonymousreply 219July 21, 2016 1:12 AM

Jean Spangler disappearance

by Anonymousreply 220July 21, 2016 1:43 AM

Who was the killer who would pick out houses at random, bury a kill kit near the house and strike years later? That's creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 221July 21, 2016 5:38 PM

R221 IIRC, the BTK killer did similar things, IIRC, most of his victims were picked at random except for a woman that lived near him that he was acquaintances with.

by Anonymousreply 222July 22, 2016 3:20 AM

R205 You're a pedophile plant. Richard became domiciled in another country AND he took citizenship of that nation(Barbados). He has been associated with the pedo sex ring since the Sixties. He was used by politicians and others as a sex toy. There are people in The US who defend Michael Jackson, but you are the first cunt . I've encountered that would even dare defend UK politicians, musicians, royalty and clergy from this. Cliff I'm glad you post on The Dl! Everyone can see how sleazy you really are.

by Anonymousreply 223July 22, 2016 3:33 AM

Etan Patz . I hope they find him .

They never found the rest of the remains of Jay Orbin or Adam Walsh.

I grew up in Miramar , Florida and I remember the mall where Adam was kidnapped from. My parents left me in the toy section also when they went to look at lamps . All of my friends parents did too, it was only 25-30 feet away .

by Anonymousreply 224July 22, 2016 5:04 AM

Ottis toole & his toothless lover kept the head of Adam Walsh for their sex games...

by Anonymousreply 225July 22, 2016 5:07 AM

Jerry Sandusky had Ray Gricar killed.

by Anonymousreply 226July 22, 2016 6:02 PM

Lori Kennedy Ruff's true identity revealed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227January 31, 2017 5:30 AM

This!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 31, 2017 6:21 AM

Mary Shotwell-Little. Eerie disappearance from Lenox Square Mall in ATL in the 60's. Just read about this for the first time last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229January 31, 2017 6:43 AM

disappeared and then became a snacky snack for some demon on voiemail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230January 31, 2017 6:52 AM

This is very interesting. However I haven't seen a press conference yet on this case which states they were planning on having yesterday? Has anyone heard any updated info on this case on who the slime is who committed this crime?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231January 31, 2017 7:48 AM

The case of Lori Ruff. So not buying her mother's story of her running away and don't look for me. I kind of read that like her mother was unstable. They don't mention Mr.McLean being Lori's father. That mother sounds like an abusive ho! Remember reading the case and someone back then said she was from Pennsylvania. Not on Websleuths though. They never figure out anything there.

by Anonymousreply 232January 31, 2017 9:00 AM

R231, yep. They nailed it with DNA of relative.

by Anonymousreply 233January 31, 2017 9:02 AM

I remember the Jesse Ross case because I was in the Great Lakes area at the time. There's a podcast on YouTube about it which is kind of long but brings up some interesting points, such as that the information given out was wrong and he was staying at an inland hotel but actually disappeared from the waterfront, that the footage shown in the media was not actually the last image of him but from his hotel hours earlier, that he'd been partying at the end of the conference when he and several other students were called back in for a mock emergency session, that it was almost 12 hours before anyone realized something was wrong and raised the alarm. By that time the conference was over and a lot of the kids who could have shed some light on his last hours were probably gone on their way back home.

No signal from his phone was picked up (unlikethe Henry McCabe case) and no none ever tried to use his credit cards . Also, he'd been robbed on a previous trip to Chicago, so he might not have been as situationally unaware as you might think.

The people on the podcast are amateurs and maybe law enforcement knows something it hasn't released but they come to the least titillating but probable conclusion, that the kid was drunk and unused to drinking, he hadn't slept in many hours, and didnt say where he was going because he was unwell and didn't think he'd be gone more than a few minutes. Most likely he stepped outside to sober up or throw up in the river and fell in. It was November, the middle of the night, and though that river might not be the Yukon it's not a little creek either, it's deep and bitter cold that time of year with strong currents, and full of junk like cars, boat wrecks, etc. . To top it off, no one started looking for him till half a day later and they would have had to organize a search first, so we're probably talking a missing period of well over 24 hours before the police divers entered the river at the earliest.

It's a really sad case but I d bet he's still down there somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 31, 2017 3:24 PM

When I first moved here this case was in the news. They arrested a kid, Bernard Howell, for another murder nearby, and it was noted he lived a mile from Moyer when she disappeared. The cops officially say they have nothing to link him and since he's doing 27 years he has no motivation to give them anything to increase his sentence so right now, Nancy Moyer is another of the Northwest's vanished women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 31, 2017 3:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236January 31, 2017 7:27 PM

The 1969 unsolved murder of Penn State student Betsy Aardsma

by Anonymousreply 237February 1, 2017 4:03 PM

R230's recording is insanely disturbing and sounds like he is being physically harmed, but the victim was apparently found in a lake without any signs of physical trauma. Very weird.

by Anonymousreply 238February 1, 2017 6:45 PM

You guys might like Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories. It's a podcast that takes unsolved murders throughout history and goes through the crime on one episode and then the suspects on the second. It's done like a radio drama with a full voice cast.

They're in the middle of doing Betsy Aardsma currently.

Also, the Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries is now on Amazon Prime. The show's new owners are planning to continue updates.

by Anonymousreply 239February 4, 2017 6:37 PM

[quote]The case of Lori Ruff. So not buying her mother's story of her running away and don't look for me. I kind of read that like her mother was unstable. They don't mention Mr.McLean being Lori's father. That mother sounds like an abusive ho! Remember reading the case and someone back then said she was from Pennsylvania. Not on Websleuths though. They never figure out anything there.

Some people on Websleuths, Reddit, etc. now think she was running from abuse at the stepfather's hands. I tend to agree that she wouldn't have gone to the lengths she did to erase her past simply because she didn't get along with her parents.

by Anonymousreply 240February 4, 2017 6:54 PM

Whoops, forgot the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241February 4, 2017 7:23 PM

Ricky Kasso was a dumbass, mentally ill minor drug dealer who killed a guy he felt had beat him in a drug deal. The "satanic" idiocy was because there was a rock where the body was found wsheree someone had spray painted "Satin Lives."

Yes, Satin.

It had been spray painted months before the murder. And the murder never went to trial, so the true story of the killing was never presented in public.

A book was written about it that had as much true stuff in it as "Amityville Horror" did -- meaning virtually no truth whatsoever. But hey, it was Lawn Guyland and Amityville Horror spawned a mini industry, so every hack in the tri state area was looking for a book deal so s/he could lock in movie and tv rights.

by Anonymousreply 242February 4, 2017 7:30 PM

[quote]A show could be made about family members, friends of the missing or dead, and amateur sleuths who are still trying to find out what happened. The case would be profiled in the program and the 'leads' the amateur investigator found could be explored. In some cases, surely there is law enforcement corruption or TPTB that have unjustly shut some cases down- the show could shed some light on these poor people. Netflix or Amazon could make it.

Netflix's new documentary show The Keepers is a good example of people trying to figure out what happened in a murder case. I could see Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu doing some kind of weekly true crime show with amateur sleuths covering different cases. Lifetime did a show like that with Natalee Holloway's mother where she traveled and met with families of missing people to look into the cases. The show only lasted like five episodes. I recall one episode was about Amy Bradley.

by Anonymousreply 243June 1, 2017 4:28 AM

Robert Anthony Spellman, missing since April 12, 2005 from Sherman Oaks, California

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 19, 2017 2:43 AM

Ben Stanford, a 17-year-old prep school student and the grandson of an Alabama state senator, went missing in 2007 and was found shot to death a week later in a wooded area near where his car was abandoned. His death was ruled a suicide, but the angle of the gunshot wound and the fact that his wallet, car keys, and phone were never recovered suggested that he may have been murdered in a carjacking or a drug deal gone bad. There was also speculation at the time that he was gay and unable to deal with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 14, 2017 7:13 AM

She's been discussed here before, but I'm fascinated by the case of family poisoner extraordinary Marie Hilley, made famous by Judith Light in the camptastic TV movie [italic]Wife, Mother, Murderer.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246September 21, 2017 6:47 AM

Dang, Ricky Kasso looks just like Sandra Bernhart.

by Anonymousreply 247September 21, 2017 6:51 AM

Some of these cases give me the willies!

by Anonymousreply 248September 21, 2017 7:34 AM

The case of Alya Reynolds. Still unsolved. I suspect drugs involved, something went horribly wrong and certain people disposed of her body. Poor little kid. Breaks my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249September 21, 2017 7:56 AM

Freaky, r246. This thread popped up in my watched list and I assumed I had posted what you wrote and that's why it was in my list. I've never seen the Judith Light movie but the segment Unsolved Mysteries did on Hilley has always fascinated me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250September 21, 2017 9:56 AM

The reporter who broke the Lori Ruff/Kimberly McLean story has written an excellent Amazon mini-book about the case that contains some new reporting.

Her family insists that she wasn't abused, and they say they have no idea why she decided to cut them out of her life.

Her father was a hardcore alcoholic who drank himself to death. She was a gawky, introverted, socially awkward kid who was bullied in school and apparently had just one close friend growing up. To me that makes it all the more remarkable that she had the balls to strike out on her own at 18 and (allegedly) support herself as a stripper before changing her identity. The book also makes her wealthy Texas in-laws sound insufferable.

Shortly before Kimberly's identity was confirmed in late 2016, someone claiming to be the researcher who had cracked the case posted in a thread on CrimeWatchers.net. They used "extreme dysfunction" to describe Kimberly's family and asserted that Kimberly's identity needed to be kept secret in the best interest of her daughter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251February 2, 2019 12:35 AM

[quote] "Michael Rockefeller, who disappeared in Dutch New Guinea. Dad fought there during ww2 and he always said, "Aw, that guy's soup.',"

What an uncaring thing for his father to have said about him.

by Anonymousreply 252February 2, 2019 12:55 AM

[quote]Walking out and about in Chicago at 2:30 AM sounds really dangerous, Yikes.

Yeah, tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 253February 2, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]Bradford Bishop, who brutally slaughtered his family in 1976 and then disappeared. I've lived in Montgomery County, MD since the early 70s, and we are still haunted by that tragedy. It's so frustrating not to know where he went, what he did, if he's still alive hiding in plain sight, or if he died long ago. We want closure.

There were possible sightings in Europe which included two people who knew Bishop here in US. The 1979 sighting by a former colleague of Bishop's sounds credible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254February 2, 2019 1:58 AM

Ancient rapist Kirk Douglas murdered her R220.

by Anonymousreply 255February 2, 2019 2:24 AM

I don't know if this quite fits here, but I've been reading The Skies Belong to Us, about the Western Airlines 701 hijacking in 1972. The man, Willie Holder, ended up in the US to face trial, but the woman, Cathy Kerkow, just totally vanished.

by Anonymousreply 256February 2, 2019 2:34 AM

"To me that makes it all the more remarkable that she had the balls to strike out on her own at 18 and (allegedly) support herself as a stripper before changing her identity"

Stealing someone's identity and being a stripper are proof that you have balls? To me, that makes you a fucked-up dishonest cunt. If she didn't like her family, all she had to do was MOVE.

by Anonymousreply 257February 2, 2019 2:37 AM

I sort of remember a similar case to Lori Ruff. A woman left her husband and child and changed her name. She moved several states away got married under the alias and had a child with that guy. She passed away years later of an illness and her real identity was then found out. I can remember any of the names.

by Anonymousreply 258February 2, 2019 2:52 AM

[quote]You guys might like Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories. It's a podcast that takes unsolved murders throughout history and goes through the crime on one episode and then the suspects on the second. It's done like a radio drama with a full voice cast.

They recently covered the Richard Cox case. I have wondered if any true crime shows have covered that case.

by Anonymousreply 259February 2, 2019 2:56 AM

They should cover the Robert Wone murder. We still don't know who killed him and why; only have conjectures. The likely killers are free thanks to the DC police mishandling evidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260February 2, 2019 3:37 AM

Joey Labute-----Young cute gay guy---left a gay bar in Columbus and found dead 3 weeks later......He went missing the weekend of the Arnold Schwartzenneger Sports Festival ----so a lot of tourists were in town that weekend....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261February 2, 2019 4:14 AM

Oklahoma Girl scout camp murder case

by Anonymousreply 262February 2, 2019 10:04 PM

R255 I have done a lot of research on Jean. As easy as it is to believe Douglas killed her he ddidnt. He's a piece of shit that deserves to burn thru eternity in hell but be did not kill Jean.

He would have gained nothing from killing a mob involved pregnant hooker. Actually that might have gotten him in deep water with the mob.

The only people to gain from Jeans death were her ex husband and his new wife, both of whom were also involved with the mob.

After her death the ex regained custody of his daughter joined the military and left town. He was well decorated at his retirement.

The daughter has changed her name never married and never had children. I drove past her house once when I was in the area and saw a woman I think was her. She looked like an older version of her high school picture.

Yes I am very obsessed with this missing person case.

by Anonymousreply 263February 3, 2019 4:18 AM

The Elijah "Bear' Diaz disappearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264February 3, 2019 4:34 AM

Exactly R67

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265February 3, 2019 5:47 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 266February 10, 2019 12:41 AM

The Oklahoma Girl Scout case is fascinating and I'm surprised current true crime shows haven't covered the case.

by Anonymousreply 267March 26, 2019 10:45 PM

Kyle Horman Baby Lisa

by Anonymousreply 268March 26, 2019 11:23 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 269April 5, 2019 9:11 PM

I hadn't heard about the Timmothy Pitzen disappearance until that hoax a few days ago. It's a fascinating missing persons case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270April 6, 2019 10:58 PM

Last night I saw a TV promo for next week's 20/20 which is about Rebecca Shaffer's murder. I had forgotten about that very sad crime.

by Anonymousreply 271April 6, 2019 11:00 PM

The Cleveland Torso murders were extremly creepy. Sadly the killer was never identified.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272April 10, 2019 10:49 PM

I heard about this one on a podcast a few months ago. Definitkey creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 10, 2019 10:53 PM

Another mysterious case

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 10, 2019 10:54 PM

Another successful case of identity theft

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 10, 2019 10:56 PM

David Venable's waistline.

It hasn't been seen since 2001.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276April 10, 2019 11:35 PM

Insanely talented singer songwriter Elliott Smith Either stabbed himself twice in the heart or was murdered. The case is still open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 10, 2019 11:38 PM

Where did my waiter go?

by Anonymousreply 278April 10, 2019 11:38 PM

R277, New York lawyer Darnay Hoffman (married to Mayflower Madam Sydney Biddle Barrows) killed himself that way. Gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 279April 11, 2019 1:03 AM

R227 That's very interesting because proponents of the " Elliott Smith was murdered" theory often say that it's not possible to stab your own heart. I'm still kind of leaning to that side but hearing about this other case puts things in perspective. I believe it's an extremely rare way for people to kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 280April 12, 2019 11:00 AM

Great thread

by Anonymousreply 281April 12, 2019 11:11 AM

Charles Rocket was another person who committed suicide stab wound in the chest.

by Anonymousreply 282April 12, 2019 5:27 PM

There was a zine in the 90s called “Answer Me!” and it was kind of edgy and jerky. They did a “suicide issue” that was filled with stories of gruesome and obscure ways that people killed themselves, throughout history. I’ll see if I can find it.

by Anonymousreply 283April 12, 2019 8:15 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 284April 18, 2019 2:20 AM

Rocket slit his own throat.

by Anonymousreply 285April 18, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]The most mysterious death of recent history.

The surveillance video is creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286April 19, 2019 12:03 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 287April 20, 2019 7:39 PM

This case will always creep me out. I wonder what happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288April 20, 2019 7:41 PM

BUMP.

by Anonymousreply 289April 15, 2020 1:31 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 290November 13, 2020 4:46 PM

R31 There have been so many cases about people, especially women, disappearing from cruise ships. In the documentaries I've seen they speculate that they might have fallen overboard, been murdered or sold in sex trade.

by Anonymousreply 291November 13, 2020 4:57 PM

R31 There have been so many cases about people, especially women, disappearing from cruise ships. In the documentaries I've seen they speculate that they might have fallen overboard, been murdered or sold in sex trade.

by Anonymousreply 292November 13, 2020 4:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!