Terms and Conditions / Privacy Policies
This statement covers the site datalounge.com ("The DataLounge" and/or the "Site") which is proved by Mediapolis inc. ("Mediapolis" and/or "we") and any associated content such as email, text messages, and possible subliminal suggestions. Please read this statement carefully before proceeding to access The DataLounge. Your use of The DataLounge indicates your agreement to abide by these terms below. Yes it does. Don't argue. Thank you.
Your Privacy Matters to Us
(even though it might not to our government and certain litigious personalities) The DataLounge recognizes there are dual privacy concerns for our users. First, you want to know what personal information is collected when you come to this, or any, web site. Second, as a person who identifies as a member of the greater LGBT communities or as a person who may have same-sex encounters without identifying with any community, you may have a strong interest in keeping your personal orientations or behaviors private.
Now if that's not PC, we're in the wrong business.
What We Gather and Track
The DataLounge collects two types of visitor data: 1) personally identifiable information that you give voluntarily through newsletter subscriptions, registration and/or memberships; and 2) tracking information which is collected each time a visitor comes to the Site.
What We Don't Gather and Track
The DataLounge has little interest in gathering the following items: your mother's maiden name, your pet's name, who taught your first grade class, what time the Superbowl starts, curds and whey.
How the Information Is Used
Unlike the radical right, The DataLounge does not rent, sell or otherwise share any personally identifiable information about our users. We will not transfer any such personal information to any third parties (who will then hound you to the brink of conversion), unless we explicitly state otherwise at the point the information is collected (e.g. contests or sweepstakes) or as may be required by law or as we think necessary to protect our company or others from injury (for example, in response to a court order or subpoena or in response to a law enforcement agency request).
Personally-identifiable information in the form of e-mail addresses is used to send newsletters and other alerts that you have signed up for. No other personally-identifiable data is collected except for those brave, progressive thinkers who contribute to us, thus improving their lives and the lives of those around them. In these noteworthy instances we need to collect email and street addresses, telephone and credit card numbers in order to process payments. Credit card information is deleted upon completion of the transaction. Contact information is only used to re-contact you after your one year contribution has expired or to send you a membership premium you requested.
The heaven sent fact that you have made a contribution will be tracked in a cookie (a small individual data file deposited in each visitor's web browser), but no personal information will be tracked in this cookie -- only the fact that you have contributed. This cookie will give you the option to block the irritating contribution ads we run on the Site from time to time. Please note, and please note this well, contributions do not bestow a right to post. Most especially if you get out-of-control. See guidelines below.
We do not require you to identify yourself to participate in our forum (although it's always nice to know the identity of guests in your own home). However, we ask users to post responsible comments. In order to make our forum interesting and informative for our users (that's you!), the following guidelines must be adhered to by all users posting and/or viewing comments: If a comment is made using your authenticated identity, it will be deemed to have been posted by you.
- Please do not post abusive, obscene, threatening, harassing, defamatory, libelous, fraudulent, offensive or sexually explicit material or material that is invasic of another's privacy or publicity rights. You don't like it when someone calls you a bad name; you must assume she or he won't like it either.
- Please do not intentionally make false or misleading statements (or you may not get re-elected).
- Please do not offer to sell or buy any product or service. The internet is a scary place, and there are scary people who just wait to lead your astray, so you'd better mind your p's and q's.
- Please do not post any personal information. See above re: scary people out there.
- Please do not impersonate, or misrepresent your affiliation with, any other person or entity. Remember, you are best you that can be - no one else if better at being you! If you try to be someone else, you can only be second best.
- Please do not post material that infringes copyright or other intellectual property rights.
- Please do not post information that you know to be confidential or sensitive or otherwise in breach of the law.
- Please do not use this Site in an unlawful manner or to promote unlawful conduct or in a manner likely to give rise to civil liability. We think that's a bit obvious but sometimes you just have to smack people upside the head with the obvious and even then...
- Please do your best to keep all comments relevant and "on topic" to the particular thread. (We know how trying this can be, but sometimes you just have to put the pen down, peg.)
- Finally, and most importantly, The DataLounge will not accept responsibility for information posted in the forum(s). You posted it - take your medicine and suck it up. We are not your mother, though you may treat us like her. Why don't you write more often? And by the way, how dare you treat your mother like that!
If The DataLounge receives notice that any posting is not in keeping with these terms and conditions or the intended use of the Site, The DataLounge may remove that posting and/or any other related postings as well as restrict posting privileges.
We reserve the right, as we must, to give you a time out from the DataLounge, temporarily or permanently, by means at our disposal at any time in our sole discretion. Just want to make sure we all are onboard about this little bit of housekeeping. Sounds scary, right? You betcha. Sister Rita taught us in the 5th grade made who was in charge and boy-howdy we learned that lesson well. Just passing on the love.
Please note that unless The DataLounge is notified of a posting that is not in keeping with these terms and conditions, then it may not be removed. Furthermore we do not exercise any form of editorial control or censorship of the forum other than the above stated procedure.
Use of Content
By using and/or posting on The DataLounge, you acknowledge that we own and have the right to republish, re-issue, regurgitate, recreate derivative works of, redistribute, reproduce, relicense and re-etc., the content herein created by yourself in any media now known or hereafter devised in perpetuity, irrevocably. (Imagine that we might someday be able to transmit The DataLounge directly into your brain! Maybe we already can!)
External Link Disclaimer
The DataLounge does not monitor or control information on web sites that we link to, or those linked to by our users -- including the anonymous trolls (whom we adore, in our own tough love kind of way). For privacy information outside of The DataLounge, please refer the privacy policies posted on those sites.
Notification of Changes
Whenever The DataLounge changes these Terms, we will post those changes to this statement and other places we deem appropriate so our users will be aware. And an aware user is a responsible and happy user. Knowlege is power. We may change this statement from time to time by posting changes here, which take effect on the date posted. If you continue to use the Site after any such changes, that also indicates your agreement to those changes. If you don't agree to the terms and conditions herein you must discontinue using this Site. It's a playground and teacher sets the rules. See Sister Rita above. Shiver.
If you have any questions or notices of violations to these terms and conditions, or perhaps you are just feeling lonely, please contact us at email@example.com or via post at The DataLounge, c/o Mediapolis, inc., 511 6th Ave., #339, New York, NY 10011
The DataLounge is a wonderfully, horrible and untamed beast that many try to ride, some successfully, some abysmally. But remember this: information is only as good as it's source. You are responsbile for what you post and you make the choice whether to believe what you read here or not, much like making the choice whether to believe what you see on .... well, Fox News for instance.