Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Historical mysteries that fascinate you?

What happened to the Roanoke colony? What happened to the Princes in The Tower? What happened to the Franklin expedition? Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 455March 7, 2020 11:04 PM

Dead.

Dead.

Dead.

Mysteries solved.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2018 5:43 AM

Henry Paget, 5th Marquess of Anglesey — how did he get "Toppy" as a nickname.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2018 5:58 AM

What the fuck was this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2018 6:03 AM

Dyatlov Pass comes to mind

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2018 6:07 AM

Carlos II of Spain, the final product of the extreme inbreeding of the Spanish Hapsburgs.

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2018 6:11 AM

Dyatlov Pass, R4? I have no idea what that is, but maybe I'll get lucky and someone will start a thread about it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2018 6:11 AM

It wasn't as final as you thought, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2018 6:18 AM

Obviously you all have the AIDS infestering in ur brain. There can be no other explanation.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2018 6:25 AM

MH370

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2018 6:28 AM

The 5 military planes that went down in Florida at the end of World War II.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2018 8:43 AM

Area 51

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2018 8:44 AM

all of them!

the Taman Shud guy in Oz--was he a spy? was it murder or suicide? did the woman they tracked down know him, even though she claimed ignorance?

Hintercaifeck Murders--who in hell was living in the barn?

Bela Kiss--where did that ghoul end up?

Lindbergh Kidnapping--the whole episode seems strange. was it all to keep him out of politics?

JFK--whatever happened wasn't what they said.

Dyatlov Pass--was their campsite ruined by a downed meterorite or satellite, or had they been attacked by forest people?

Louis le Prince--did he get pushed off the train, or walk away?

most uncaught serial killers. BTK and East Area/GSK used to be tops, but now i guess it's down to Zodiac, Jack, and a the Long Island one.

my personal favorite: who killed the Black Dahlia?

and what exactly did happen to all of those vanished civilizations?

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2018 9:11 AM

Jim Jordan. What did he know and when did he know it?

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2018 9:21 AM

Is Lord Lucan historical enough to count?

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2018 9:26 AM

Lindbergh "kidnapped" and accidentally killed his own kid. He had a history of doing this. He was straight up nuts but too big to fail.

This is my favorite "mystery". The people accused were innocent and railroaded.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2018 11:58 AM

DB Cooper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2018 12:05 PM

The princes in the tower were murdered by Henry VII.

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2018 12:05 PM

What is in the hollow space at the base of the Sphinx?

Probably nothing, but I'm annoyed they won't let people check it out.

by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2018 12:25 PM

Jack the ripper Le masque de fer Stonehenge Nostradamus Atlantid And i second jfk and Black dalhia

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2018 12:38 PM

The Princes in the Tower

The Zodiac Killer

by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2018 12:42 PM

JFK assassination

by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2018 1:12 PM

"Lindbergh "kidnapped" and accidentally killed his own kid. He had a history of doing this. "

Lindbergh had a history of kidnapping and murdering children? Or his own children?

If the latter, how many did he have to spare?

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2018 1:21 PM

On the 100th anniversary of their murder: the exact circumstances of the murder of Nicholas II, Alexandra, their children, and their retainers. It's been only in the last 20 years that we know the events of the night. But I remember this fascinated me as a kid and nurtured my love of history.

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2018 1:31 PM

Diana supposed murder by the royal family

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2018 1:33 PM

I'd like to know about certain conspiracy theories/alternate explanations for things which may just be creating mysteries out of nothing, but I'd like to know anyways. Did 9/11 really happen the way we were led to believe? Does the Illuminati really control the entertainment industry (and everything else for that matter)? Was the moon landing fake? Are all these crimes (from all the mass shootings to the Manchester bombings and even the Manson murders) really false flags with crisis actors?

Also, was Matthew Shepard's murder really a hate crime or was it all about drugs? For all these questions, it seems to depend who you ask. But I would like to know the truth.

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2018 1:36 PM

How did JonBenet Ramsey's death really happen? Who did it?

Who is responsible for the Texarkana Moonlight Murders?

Where are all the missing people who've vanished without a trace over the years never to be seen again?

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2018 1:42 PM

R3 Just back from the Prado. many of the royal portraits have that same protruding Hapsburg jaw.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2018 1:47 PM

Where did my ass go?

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2018 1:49 PM

I'm very fascinated by Vimanas.

by Anonymousreply 29July 16, 2018 1:53 PM

TWA Flight 800. All those eyewitnesses cannot be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2018 2:02 PM

9-11 & JFKs Assassination. Duh. So not what we were fed by the media & the govt.

The Springfield Three.

The Zodiac Killer & the Gilgo Beach (Long Island) Killer.

Disappearances of Henry Hudson, Ambrose Bierce.

Burial places of Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan.

In the last 15-20 yrs, more than 2000 people have disappeared in America's National Parks, without a trace. The Park Service & the Dept of the Interior stonewall outside efforts to investigate & claim not to keep records on NP disappearances.

by Anonymousreply 31July 16, 2018 2:22 PM

Bonnie Franklin's career.

by Anonymousreply 32July 16, 2018 2:26 PM

Remember the stained bedspread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 16, 2018 2:36 PM

Judy Smith was vacationing in Philadelphia and was supposed to meet her husband at the hotel. Instead, she travelled 600 miles to Asheville where she was seen having a great time for a fee days before she disappeared. Her body was found in a shallow grave a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 34July 16, 2018 3:18 PM

"Crime of the Century, the Lindbergh hoax." is a must read.

The baby was mentally challenged and was dropped and killed by his father. The "kidnappers" fingerprints were not on the ladder. The actual fingerprints were mysteriously washed away. Like the "magic bullet" or the third building at 9/11, you'd have to be a dope to believe the official stories.

by Anonymousreply 35July 16, 2018 11:36 PM

US film producer's Thomas Ince's cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 36July 16, 2018 11:40 PM

The Mary Celeste

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 16, 2018 11:52 PM

r 36 I think it was the mother.

I love this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 38July 16, 2018 11:54 PM

Carl Panzram

[bold]In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and, last but not least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry. [/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2018 12:00 AM

How did the Ancient Egyptians obtain cocaine and nicotine from the New World?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 17, 2018 12:06 AM

Fascinating, r34. I'd never read about that case before.

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2018 12:08 AM

Oh geez, for some reason I read the title wrong and thought it's about historical figures that fascinate you.

by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2018 12:11 AM

Britney Spears’ long career

by Anonymousreply 43July 17, 2018 12:12 AM

Why is Julie a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 44July 17, 2018 12:27 AM

Kelly Anne's pussy

by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2018 12:48 AM

I would like to know, with certainty, whether or not the Russians hacked state voting systems and changed vote totals in the 2016 election.

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2018 12:52 AM

When was Catherine Zeta-Jones REALLY born?

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2018 1:03 AM

One of my favorites from Worcester England: who put Bella in the wych-elm?

During WW2, a murdered woman's decayed corpse was found encased in a hollow up in a wych-elm on an estate; for years later, the graffito "Who put Bella in the wych-elm?" appeared all over a nearby town, although no one ever knew what the murdered woman's name actually was. The graffito continues to appear still in the town from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2018 1:03 AM

Autoerotic asphyxiation

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2018 1:08 AM

The disappearance of Ronald Tammen. He was a Miami University student who vanished from his dorm room in 1953, never to be seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2018 3:15 AM

DB Cooper may be solved. The suspect, who is still living, seems very plausible: a former pilot and paratrooper with expertise in explosive devices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2018 2:22 AM

I don't think it's Rackstraw, r51.

I think Ken Christiansen is the most viable suspect. That said, part of me hopes the case is never solved. I have become somewhat obsessed with it over the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 18, 2018 4:24 PM

The disappearance of West Point cadet Richard Cox in 1950

by Anonymousreply 53July 18, 2018 4:58 PM

Why people like Popeyes over KFC....I'm fuckin baffled

by Anonymousreply 54July 18, 2018 4:59 PM

How DJT has been married three times while I can't keep a LTR to save my life.

by Anonymousreply 55July 18, 2018 5:16 PM

The Paul Whipkey case, though he probably just died of radiation poisoning.

I'd like to be able to go back to 1963 and conduct an investigation of the Thresher sinking with the technology of 2018.

The identity of a woman who checked into the Vintage Park Hotel in 1996 as Mary Anderson to commit suicide.

What happened to Nancy Moyer, who vanished from her home in Tenino WA in 2009.

The others are all of the "what really happened variety"--

What really happened at the Alamo.

What really happened when the Russian sub K-431 exploded during refueling at Chazhma Bay in August 1985.

What really happened to the Roanoke Colony.

by Anonymousreply 56July 18, 2018 5:27 PM

Thank you R2, you really broadened my horizon

"Henry Paget was dubbed "the dancing marquess" for his habit of performing "sinuous, sexy, snake-like dances" and for his Butterfly Dancing, taken from Loie Fuller where a voluminous robe of transparent white silk would be waved like wings."

by Anonymousreply 57July 18, 2018 6:24 PM

The pic at R2 looks like Rick James.

by Anonymousreply 58July 18, 2018 9:11 PM

I want Dyatlov Pass to be more interesting but after watching numerous very scientific (*cough*) documentaries about it on youtube I think I agree with the one that concludes they went out, got too cold, freaked out and died. The bodies were found unclothed because they went hysterical and fell prey to paradoxical undressing, which is the same thing that happens with people in deserts when they get too hot and dehydrated. You flip out and run screaming into the night, shedding everything.

That or it was aliens. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 59July 18, 2018 9:20 PM

What happened to moi's rather soiled pink pillbox chapeau?

by Anonymousreply 60July 18, 2018 9:55 PM

Flight 800 WAS a terrorist attack on the eve of our hosting the Summer Olympics. It was hushed up because if it wasn't the goal of hitting us in the wallet (tourism for Olympics) would have worked. Since the message didn't get out to the American people to stop supporting Israel, they regrouped. No more single attacks on the water like Flight 800 and the S.S Cole. No more half assed attacks like the original one at WTC. NO! This time they orchestrated a massive grand attack our government couldn't hush up while using our own aircraft to do so. And yes, the sky was so blue that day.

Don't want to hear some retort by a flyover playing Devil's Advocate. Questions I will answer but if you refute my statements you'd better have done your homework or you'll be committing suicide by drowning.

by Anonymousreply 61July 18, 2018 10:49 PM

I still want to know what happened to Richie James Edwards of the Manic Street Preachers.

While suicide does sound likely, his body was never found.

by Anonymousreply 62July 18, 2018 11:02 PM

What EXACTLY went down with the Franklin Expedition?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 18, 2018 11:17 PM

Giglo Beach, Jack the Ripper, Nazca Lines, and Stone Hedge.

by Anonymousreply 64July 18, 2018 11:26 PM

TWA Flight 80O is an interesting one to me. I literally watched on television with am ex, footage of something, a white light of some sort, shooting up towards, and into that plane.

I know I saw it on CNN, or something similar. this was way before right-wing/left-wing media. it was just news, allegedly. But then all evidence of that just went away. it was very weird to see something with your own eyes, and then watch it erased, changed, and told it didn't happen the way you remember.

Probably not my top mystery of all time, but seeing it brought up here reminded me.

by Anonymousreply 65July 18, 2018 11:42 PM

There was an excellent documentary on flight 800. Nearly every investigator on the original team said it was a missile.

by Anonymousreply 66July 18, 2018 11:45 PM

+1 on Flight 800. I remember when that happened like yesterday. Right off the bat, everyone was saying a missile took it down. Keep in mind that this was in the days before social media and forums, so it's not like it was a conspiracy theory that started off the internet. Also, from what I remember, the US military had been conducting exercises in the vicinity. Some people have been trying to debunk this by claiming that it was too far away from the accident, but c'mon...what are the odds?

by Anonymousreply 67July 18, 2018 11:57 PM

^^ That's what I remember too. I'm R65. I remember it being if not said, it was speculated that it was US military, and a horrible mistake.

the cover up of it all though is what made it stick out. I really don't know what to think about that whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2018 12:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2018 12:25 AM

Right R67, Salinger came out of retirement to claim Navy exercises. He was paid to do so. The problem with that theory is that international flights departing and leaving JFK always hug the south shore of Long Island so there would be no way in hell there would be Navy exercises going on near the traffic of international flight paths. R65, you didn't see the witness testimony on CNN or any national news program. You saw it on NY local news stations if you saw it at all. Those broadcast were stifled by the feds in mere hours. So if you weren't on Long Island or vicinity, you haven't seen those broadcasts. I saw them when they aired. The sounds of unending fire trucks racing out east prompted me to turn on the TV. Yes, local reporters were told they saw what they thought were fireworks being shot off by a party boat. Waiting for the big sparkling spray instead of seeing a fireball that hung in the sky. Soon the feds were crawling all over the place and fire crews were not permitted into the area on shore. From someone who was summoned to report for duty that night he confided in my family and told us it was a heat seeking missile shot from a raft with an outboard motor by terrorists looking to strike panic in air travel and sabotaging our Olympic games.

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2018 12:28 AM

I'm always fascinated by Dyatlov Pass (scary shit) and Bigfoot (where is the proof?).

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2018 12:34 AM

R70, I'm R65, and definitely was not in LI/NY area when that happened. I distinctly remember watching footage of whatever that white light was shooting up to that airplane. I'm almost positive the footage I saw was attributed to someone in New Jersey, filming something else, and just happened to get it. and then it was gone. I've never seen it since. I have no idea what station I saw it on, but I know I saw it.

the only reason I brought up seeing it with an ex is because I don't just remember seeing it with him, but he is the only only other person I know who saw it. we brought it up off and on throughout the following years of our relationship because it was so weird, but I know what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2018 12:56 AM

Was anyone of note on flight 800? From the year I would have to ask if it were anyone the Clintons hated.

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2018 1:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2018 1:07 AM

Pyramids.

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2018 1:37 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2018 7:44 AM

Google Dare Stones Daily Mail for the article link. It's a long article for the DM.

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2018 7:47 AM

^ Sorry, Eleanor White Dare, not Elizabeth Dare, the daughter of Governor White. She gave birth to Virginia Dare, the first English child to be born in The New World.

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2018 7:56 AM

that whole mess of the bombing of the twin towers....so many unanswered questions...time will tell..

by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2018 8:41 AM

[quote]The baby was mentally challenged and was dropped and killed by his father.

I read a book about twenty years ago that presented convincing evidence that it was Mrs. Lindbergh's mentally ill sister who accidentally killed the baby. All the rest was a hoax to cover it up.

Lindbergh himself was a major asshole. He would have thought it nothing for Bruno Hauptmann to lose his life to avoid a family scandal.

by Anonymousreply 80July 19, 2018 9:04 AM

Who Threw the Overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?

by Anonymousreply 81July 19, 2018 9:07 AM

R22, Since you asked....Lindbergh was a sick prankster, including spikingthe drinks of his military mates.

But to the point: He not very long before the "real kidnapping" had hidden his infant son in a perverse Hide and Seek. However, nobody else knew it was a "game," and so were duly alarmed until Charles produced Jr.

The handmade ladder's steps were positioned for a tall man with a long stride. One broken step, and baby goes boom.

The night of the tragedy Lindbergh skipped an event in NYC that he theretofore had never missed.

Lindbergh insisted on leading the investigation.

And lastly, and more darkly, Lindbergh was an admirer of Nazi Germany's eugenics priorities (his many German illegitimate offspring are rarely discussed), and Jr. might have had rickets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 19, 2018 9:21 AM

I wouldn't have a problem believing TWA 800 was taken out by a heat seeking missile, except that's not what the damge showed.

A heat seeking missile would have hit an engine and torn the wing off. On 800, the nose broke off cleanly just below that auxiliary tank they determined that exploded.

by Anonymousreply 83July 19, 2018 9:44 AM

Fascinating thread. Johnny Golsch and the whole pedo ring piques my curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 84July 19, 2018 10:44 AM

Judy Garland losing the Oscar to Grace Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 85July 19, 2018 10:53 AM

R48's very creepy story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 21, 2018 5:34 AM

Did a dingo really eat the baby?

by Anonymousreply 87July 21, 2018 6:38 AM

R87, We can't really prove that the child was eaten, but the final determination was that a dingo did take the baby from the tent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 21, 2018 7:33 AM

So what DID happen to the princess in the tower? For centuries Richard III was blamed for their disappearance, but for the last century it's been fashionable to blame the Tudor/Lancaster camp. That the Tudors both wanted to eliminate possible rivals, and pin the crime on King Richard of York.

It's been said that Richard had no reason to kill them as they had been declared bastards and removed from the line of succession, but that's bull. Nobles were bastardized and relegitimized all the time, both Queen "Bloody" Mary and Elizabeth I were declared bastards when they were young but went in to become ruling queens. The young princes could easily have done the same if they'd lived to adulthood, that is, if someone with money and armies had cared to back their claim.

by Anonymousreply 89July 21, 2018 9:48 AM

I didn't really think anybody would care about the Lindbergh case. I became interested after "Murder on the Orient Express" which is based on it. I think he did it, but didn't know about the sister-in-law.

The Princes in the Tower were most likely the skeletal remains found under a stair case. They were definitely murdered, but by who we'ii never know. Way too many suspects with excellent motives.

The twin towers were an inside job and I will never be convinced otherwise. Just watch the untouched third building go down. I don't know who or why, but that was no "underground fire". Never.

And as for Bigfoot, oh my sides. If such a creature existed, there would have been a dead one years ago. Same with "Nessie".

& P.S. Aliens are real, it's just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 90July 21, 2018 12:30 PM

I think life exists elsewhere in the universe -- given the number of planets, stars, and galaxies, it seems statistically impossible that there doesn't exist a habitable planet somewhere else.

That said, I think UFO sightings and "alien abductions" are nonsense. Look at the massive variety of evolved life on Earth. Why do aliens always look human?

by Anonymousreply 91July 21, 2018 12:36 PM

One of the interesting things with Bigfoot sightings is that they're often associated with UFO sightings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 21, 2018 2:29 PM

It was reported recently that 80% of white evangelical christians view Donald Trump as a "divine" being.

They get told this from the religion industry profiteers, mega-church and TV preachers begging for money, solicitors to deceptively send elderly Jewish Russians to Israel, and hate organizations using religion as cover.

Fox News promotes it without by not questioning it, and helps provide these characters forums to espouse such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2018 2:30 PM

And what ABOUT Perkin Warbeck? Was he really Prince Richard of York all grown up?

Apparently he convinced a lot of his contemporaries he was the real deal. Unless a lot of his contemporaries had a political reason to say he convinced them...

by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2018 3:51 PM

I was always fascinated with the Joseph Newton-Chandler III case, which was partially solved in the last few weeks ( with the help of the same website that played a role in identifying the baby dick killer).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2018 11:03 PM

[quote] Nobles were bastardized and relegitimized all the time, both Queen "Bloody" Mary and Elizabeth I were declared bastards when they were young but went in to become ruling queens.

That happened decades AFTER the Princes in the Tower, but your point is taken all the same.

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2018 11:14 PM

Yeah, R96, Mary and Elizabeth were the granddaughters or great-granddaughters of the Tudors who are still some of the prime suspects in the disappearance of the young princes.

But I think my point stands, in those days a declaration that someone was a bastard wasn't fixed in law, the law was pretty much whatever the king or the most powerful nobles said it was, and if the princes had the right sort of backing they'd have been considered legitimate again. But the fact is they didn't have enough support to claim their kingship, their father was dead, their surviving paternal uncle had taken the throne for himself, and their mother and her family were unpopular with the sort of aristocrats who could make a king. So the only people who wanted to keep them alive were the dowager queen and her relatives and they were out of power, and both the Yorks and the Lancasters had reasons to want the poor kids out of the way. I suppose if Richard's reign had been any longer his enemies would have put their muscle behind the kids instead of Henry Tudor, so he really did have an excellent motive to get then out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 97July 22, 2018 12:11 AM

And that, BTW, is why the Plantagenet and Tudor dynasties died out.

After a century or two of killing any relative who was a threat or might pose a threat, they ran out of relatives.

by Anonymousreply 98July 22, 2018 12:12 AM

I’ve been trying to find where my 4th great Grandfather “drummer” Sam is buried. He was orphaned at 14. At 15, he enlisted in the Continental Army. He served under Washington in Cambridge, during the siege of Boston, as a drummer boy. He trained to signal the troops as to movement and such.

Years later, he lost a leg as a mariner. He made extra money endorsing his peg leg maker, Mrs. Southworth Howland. He became a painter.

I know the cemetery that he’s buried in, but he has no known grave. It likely he is entombed with his predeceased, first wife, and she with her family. I’ve found a tomb accommodating maybe 20, with her maiden name, but I want proof that he’s in there!

We call him Drummer Sam as he was a drummer, and it differentiates him from the 6 other Sams in the family.

by Anonymousreply 99July 22, 2018 12:34 AM

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE QUABBIN TOWNS LIKE PRESCOTT

by Anonymousreply 100July 22, 2018 12:38 AM

But, R97, if Richard III killed the kids (which I doubt) why didn't Henry Tudor make more political hay over it? Have it announced all over the land? Not only would this have made Tudor look good by comparison, it would have helped to squash future rebellions by people claiming to be one of the princes. Even if Richard HADN'T had them killed, why didn't Tudor tell everyone that he had? There was only rumour and innuendo assuming that Richard was responsible.

And IF the princes were indeed dead by anyone's hand, why didn't Tudor just say so when Perkin Warbeck and/or Lambert Simnell arrived on the scene? "I am yothe rightful King, returned from exile abroad!" "No you're not, Richard III had him offed. "

It just makes no sense! I get the impression that even then no one knew WTF had happened with any certainty.

by Anonymousreply 101July 22, 2018 12:44 AM

R101, a lack of dead bodies complicates every claim.

by Anonymousreply 102July 22, 2018 12:47 AM

What happened to the oldest Cunningham son , once he went upstairs ?

by Anonymousreply 103July 22, 2018 1:54 AM

Thanks for that article r95. Didn’t realize that case had an update.

by Anonymousreply 104July 22, 2018 2:02 AM

An actor dressed as Santa Claus killed those princes.

by Anonymousreply 105July 22, 2018 2:07 AM

Bigfoot is real! I've seen 'em.

by Anonymousreply 106July 22, 2018 2:38 AM

in case I forgot to post this earlier, I'd love for archaeologists to find the tomb of Alexander the Great. I'd also like to know what happened to Cleopatra after Octavius took Alexandria. I know she killed herself, but where was she buried. Some accounts say she died in her tomb. Others say he was angry with her and burned her body. His plan was to take her to Rome in chains and parade her through the streets, and he was pissed off wen he discovered he wouldn't be able to do that.

by Anonymousreply 107July 22, 2018 2:39 AM

What happened to Harold Holt?

Australia is to my knowledge the only country that ever managed to lose its Prime Minister. Not "lose" as in dead (although there's no reason to think he's not - this was more than a half-century ago) but just "went for a swim and never came back" off a beach near Portsea in December of 1966 while his mistress and her daughter were sunning themselves on the beach. No body or clothing was ever found.

Theories range from being drowned in rough surf to eaten by a shark to being kidnapped onto a Chinese mini-submarine.

But how does a modern, peaceful nation manage to lose a PM without a trace?

by Anonymousreply 108July 22, 2018 2:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 22, 2018 3:02 AM

R100 It was always a "well-watered place"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 22, 2018 3:11 AM

R108. the U.S. does have a similar case although the official involved wasn't quite as high ranked. When William Colby, who was Director of the CIA under Nixon an Ford, retired, he moved to a home on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay.

He would regularly exercise by going out for short paddles in his canoe. In 1996, he did so in good weather and didn't come back. The next day the canoe was found a quarter mile from his home and a few days later his body was found along the shore not far from the canoe. The ME gave a confused account of how he might come to drown.

There have been endless theories and conspiracy theories about what actually happened to him. Remember, he had been CIA Director during Watergate.

by Anonymousreply 111July 22, 2018 4:10 AM

The Princes in the Tower were murdered by Margaret Beaufort.

by Anonymousreply 112July 22, 2018 7:00 AM

The murder of Julia Wallace in Liverpool in 1931, which critics of the era thought was the most insoluble of all real-life murder mysteries.

"‘The Wallace case is the nonpareil of all murder mysteries ... I call it the impossible murder because Wallace couldn’t have done it, and neither could anyone else. ... The Wallace case is unbeatable; it will always be unbeatable." -- Raymond Chandler

"'Still unsolved, fascinating in its permutations, absolutely typical of the 1930s. Couldn't have happened at any other time, not in precisely the way it did happen... What is interesting is that the evidence, such as it was, could support either the prosecution or the defence depending on how you chose to look at it." -- P. D. James

"The Wallace case of 1931 is regarded as the classic English whodunnit, a labyrinth of clues and false trails leading everywhere except, it seems, to the identity of the murderer..." -- Roger Wilkes, editor, [italic]The Mammoth Book of Unsolved Crimes[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 22, 2018 7:27 AM

William Herbert Wallace and his wife Julia Wallace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 22, 2018 7:27 AM

A full account of the Julia Wallace case, with hotographs of the crime scene and of Wallace.

Both Dorothy L. Sayers and PD James were fascinated with this murder, and each wrote about it many times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 22, 2018 7:32 AM

Who was the Man in the Iron Mask?

Other than having read the Dumas novel as a boy, I can’t say it ever registered with me that he was an actual historic figure.

I saw a documentary on this a while back. Historians interviewed giving their own take and/or commenting on various theories. I had no idea that there is documentary evidence that he actually existed, was indeed kept under lock and key in various prisons (tho he was kept in luxury compared to others - had a servant, proper multi course meals), and was in an actual iron mask. Beyond that tho, nothing about his identity. Some speculated he was a twin to the king, or a royal bastard, etc.. I think one of the guys interviewed made mention that the actual mask was found when the revolutionaries stormed the Bastille.

Who knows how much is accurate but it is an interesting mystery, to me at least.

by Anonymousreply 116July 22, 2018 7:36 AM

I thought that contemporary accounts said the mask was made of black velvet. Voltaire was the first to suggest it was iron.

by Anonymousreply 117July 22, 2018 7:42 AM

You may very well be right R117 - it’s been a while since I saw the documentary so I may have details muddled. Still, iron or velvet, I find it all so interesting.

by Anonymousreply 118July 22, 2018 8:17 AM

The Harold Holt case really is not mysterious and doesn’t require comspiracy theories. The ocean is an extremely dangerous place. Get into trouble out there and unless you’re seen by a lifeguard, you’re probably not coming back. Lack of body isn’t odd since anything in the ocean becomes part of the food chain pretty quickly.

I was reading about the Death Valley Germans the other day, and one man basically solved the case (they got stranded, tried to walk for help, and died of the heat/dehydration).

I love conspiracy theories but there’s no need for them in cases of people going into the wilderness and vanishing. People who vanish in wilderness got lost and died. People simply don’t respect nature.

by Anonymousreply 119July 22, 2018 9:07 AM

Because, r91, we were created in their image, as detailed extensively on Sumerian clay tablets.

by Anonymousreply 120July 22, 2018 11:05 AM

R91, I heard an exobiologist remark that eating and breathing through the same orifice is a horrible design. It would be extremely rare in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 121July 22, 2018 12:13 PM

R115 I read the murderer was likely a young colleague of Wallace who had a grudge against him and wanted to rob the small amount of money the Wallaces kept at home. Richard Gordon Parry. A petrol station attendant remembered him washing his car down later that night and saw a his bloody gloves.

Given what we understood of Wallace it is highly unlikely he'd ever pull off such a crime. Really sad that this destroyed him in the end.

by Anonymousreply 122July 22, 2018 12:37 PM

It can be easy to forget what a desperate person will do for a small amount of money, if you have money yourself.

by Anonymousreply 123July 22, 2018 12:40 PM

R123 Very true. He was very spoiled as well

by Anonymousreply 124July 22, 2018 1:38 PM

R64 R65 Even Pierre Salinger said it was a missile, then he said he had made a mistake. And George Stephanopolus referred to Flight 800 as a bombing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 22, 2018 2:00 PM

This Amer. Air crash was November 12, 2001 in Queens - a month after 9-11. Very suspicious. I think it was terrorism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 22, 2018 2:18 PM

R126 No the co-pilot fucked too hard with the rudder, as he had been taught to do by AA, and he had been observed by other pilots to overuse the rudder.

by Anonymousreply 127July 22, 2018 2:22 PM

Egypt Air 990. The National Transportation Safety Board reports that the official probable cause of the crash was a deliberate action by the relief first officer. Egyptian authorities Declared it a mechanical failure. The relief first officer was heard praying, well, who wouldn’t, but in a suspicious manner, such as before the tragedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 22, 2018 2:24 PM

R128 Yes that co-pilot had been in trouble for publicly exposing himself to women in the Pennsylvania Hotel, was being recalled home, and knew he was in deep shit. It was an intentional crash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 22, 2018 2:31 PM

I HIGHLY recommend paying the $5.00 to see the TWA Documentary on Amazon. I have ZERO doubts where I stand after seeing that.

by Anonymousreply 130July 22, 2018 2:56 PM

Who was Peter Bergmann?

A man traveled to Co. Sligo in Ireland to disappear without a trace. He spent three nights in a hotel under the name "Peter Bergmann" and was recorded on various CCTVs. His body was found on a beach without any identification; even the labels had been cut out of his clothes. All attempts to discover his true identity have failed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2018 3:17 PM

That sounds similar to the Isdal woman in Norway in the 70's, r131.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2018 3:26 PM

The murder of Mary Meyer, the long-time lover and confidant of JFK. She was jogging alongside a river in Georgetown and shot twice in the head, execution style. Her journal disappeared the night she was killed and has never seen the light of day.

Curiously none of her powerful family members raised much of a stink about the shoddy, half added investigation.

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2018 3:32 PM

Wasn't James Angleton (CIA molehunter and paranoiac) already in her studio looking for her diary before they knew whose body it was? Her ex-husband Cord Meyer was a high level CIA guy.

She and JFK used to get high together when he was in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 134July 22, 2018 3:39 PM

Bump for Mysteries

by Anonymousreply 135July 22, 2018 3:55 PM

She was actually jogging along the towpath of a historic canal that runs through Georgetown, not a river, but yeah, it was almost certainly an assassination. She must have known too much about something but what?. She did not start her fling with JFK until after her divorce from her high ranking CIA husband in the late 1950s. She was an extremely talented painter.

by Anonymousreply 136July 22, 2018 9:43 PM

^ Meant to add that she was well educated, smart, a talented artist, and very pretty. She was also an outspoken critic of the way the CIA was being run at the time.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 137July 22, 2018 9:49 PM

Where did my spare set of keys go?

by Anonymousreply 138July 22, 2018 11:12 PM

I read a book about the Bermuda Triangle years ago that explained all of the mysticism or myths being put forth to this day.

On the boats found abandoned, they all correlated with miles of paralyzing sea weed of the Sargasso Sea. Underneath the water are huge extant volcanoes that at one time spewed metallic lava. As the tides shift over the volcanoes, huge whirlpools are formed pulling in anything in the path into the craters. When the waters shift again, miles wide waterspouts release the sea water into huge fountains. Of course water spouts come in many sizes. I witnessed a ten foot wide geyser while sailing off the coast of Florida. It seemed to reach up to the clouds with such force. Motivated me to investigate. The mystery of the Bermuda Triangle has been solved decades ago but that won't stop film producers making more of it than it really is. What a nightmare to realize your ship is going off course and headed to a watery grave on the cusp of a giant whirlpool. Not the kind caused by currents alone but the ones caused by an extant underground volcano. Shivers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 23, 2018 12:02 AM

Waterspouts. No mystery why planes go down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 23, 2018 12:09 AM

Someone on Reddit really did their homework and exposed one of the Long Island Serial Killers. This person was not a websleuth frau but did use some interview by WS of the serial killer to make a shut case.

This person used the interview of the perp from Websleuths. Identified his ex CIA? white van he bought at auction. Completely sound proof. Tracked the burlap sacks the 7 women were buried in to his deceased mother's gardening club out in Patchogue, Long Island. Linked him to a similar murder m.o of a Swedish au pair found mutilated in a dumpster a mere block from where this guy resided while attending a Boston area college. Riveting! The killer's dad is or was a Suffolk County District Attorney. His initials are B.M.

Let me see if I can find those postings from Reddit...

by Anonymousreply 141July 23, 2018 12:32 AM

Did Colby have anything on the Clintons?

by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2018 12:35 AM

What I don't get is people insisting 911 was an inside job. Someone here mentioned the 3rd building collapsing as proof. So were those Saudi hijackers working for an insider? Were videos of jets hitting the tower also an inside job? Was the jet going down in a Pennsylvania field an inside job? That one is the only one I believe our military shot down. I don't believe the passengers got the snack cart through the cockpit. I believe our jets took that one down. The government isn't going to admit jets intercepted and shot it down with civilians on board. It had to go down, it was heading for a target.

I'd like to know what reason conspiracy theorists claim as the perpetrators of this "inside job". I'd like to hear the theories of the goals and reasons of this inside job. Never heard one convincing explanation from these cuckoo birds. Not one. Anyone care to enlighten us? Truthers?

by Anonymousreply 143July 23, 2018 12:53 AM

Not really historical but I'd love to know who killed that girl in the library at Penn state or whatever school it was.

by Anonymousreply 144July 23, 2018 12:54 AM

I always read these types of threads with interest. So many rabbit holes to explore.

by Anonymousreply 145July 23, 2018 1:33 AM

R136 Most of JFK's flings were hit and quits (including Marilyn Monroe) but there were a handful that he had actual feelings for and made a connection with them. Mary Meyer was one. The Radcliffe student who worked for him was another.

He talked to Mary; how he felt about things, politics and politics figures and most important: she made him laugh, he enjoyed her company. She was unconventional and bohemian & JFK really liked that about her.

Apparently his affair bothered Jackie the most. She hated when he got emotionally close to another woman. She (tried) to overlook the secretaries, cocktail waitresses, actresses, good time girls-but the women in her social circle, the women who went to the same parties she attended, knew the same people-that she couldn't overlook. And Mary was cruel. She let Jackie KNOW she was fkg her husband. She used to smirk at her, practically laugh in her face.

Idk how much credence to give it but I've read the Atty General may have had a hand in what happened to Mary. Apparently she was becoming indiscrete re JFK & their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 146July 23, 2018 1:55 AM

Image of this Mary?

by Anonymousreply 147July 23, 2018 2:12 AM

You are very knowledgeable, r146.

Mary onboard the Presidential Yacht Sequoia for JFK's 46th birthday party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 23, 2018 2:12 AM

The young Mary Pinchot Meyer,

Wasn't Cord Meyer involved with Watergate, even if peripherally?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 23, 2018 2:15 AM

So Mary was Jewish? Looks like her name could be Miriam Goldstein. Interesting. Not attractive like some are saying here.

by Anonymousreply 150July 23, 2018 2:16 AM

R149 image is not the same person at r148. R149 makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 151July 23, 2018 2:18 AM

Exactly how delicious is the sarcophagus broth recently discovered in Egypt and why won't authorities let us taste it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 23, 2018 2:19 AM

Before they actually opened the black sarcophagus there was much speculation the tomb of Alexander the Great had been found. When they found inside the remains of three men, possibly warriors, the speculation subsided.

by Anonymousreply 153July 23, 2018 2:22 AM

Did Werner Heisenberg really try to sabotage the Nazi atomic bomb project from within, or did the father of quantum mechanics really not understand the science of the atom bomb?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 23, 2018 2:26 AM

👧 What Ever Happened To Baby Jane ?

by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2018 2:30 AM

Whether William Shakespeare of Stratford was the author of the works of Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2018 2:32 AM

💁 I've got the freakin' "Pillbox"

by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2018 2:35 AM

The Wikipedia article on Mary Pinchot Meyer is long and surprisingly well balanced for WP. The comments on the articles talk/archive pages are as revealing as the article.

She was assassinated along the canal in broad daylight and her ex husband, former CIA official Cord Meyer, said before he died that she was killed by the same people who killed JFK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2018 2:47 AM

I am hardly a nut, a "truther" or a conspiracy guy.

That 3rd building didn't go down by its self. Instead of telling us what it wasn't, r143, why not tell us what it was?

9/11 is/was my first memory of being here on DL. I've loved the ride and still do.

Discussions like this make it all worth it. I don't care if Cheryls' pussy stinks, Erna eating poop, porn crap or the real housewives and that wonk-eyed ass Mr. Cohen. Smart people with interesting (and often opposing) ideas make a great read.

And yes, the Princes were found, the remains are in the Abbey and no, they will not be submitted to DNA testing.

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2018 2:48 AM

Lol R148 that's because I've been reading all things Kennedy since forever.

I don't remember if it was Ben Bradlee or 1 of Jfk's navy buddies who said Mary Meyer encompassed both of Jfk's "types". He liked the free spirited, sexually adventurous, earthy, "big tittied blondes" like Monroe, Angie Dickenson and Jayne Mansfield but he was also drawn to the demure, French speaking, upper class, wealthy society girls like Jackie, the Radcliffe student and Pam Turnure. Women from that world fascinated him.

His friends say Meyer was the only woman JFK knew who was both.

by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2018 2:48 AM

Westminster Abbey. Why was that blocked?

That coffee shop I'll bet.

by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2018 2:53 AM

The Princes weren't conclusively ¨found¨. There were found two child/teen skelentons (one of them was apparently female) and could have been anyone. A lot of people have lived in the Tower thru the centuries, specially in the Middle Ages.

by Anonymousreply 162July 23, 2018 3:03 AM

You offered nothing R159. Absolutely zilch. Try filling us in, wouldja?

by Anonymousreply 163July 23, 2018 3:13 AM

R126, I thought bolts on the rudder were tampered with. That's all I remember from that. Also a lot of people in that neighborhood moved out of NY

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2018 3:17 AM

Yeah Jackie was so "threatened" by Mary that she invited her to JFK last birthday party and sat her a cross from him. Green eyed jealousy indeed.

by Anonymousreply 165July 23, 2018 3:19 AM

The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

by Anonymousreply 166July 23, 2018 3:21 AM

Mary Meyers publicly challenged the conclusions of the Warren Commission when they were released to the public. Three weeks later she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 167July 23, 2018 3:23 AM

The legend of Billie Joe McAllister - and what truly was thrown off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 168July 23, 2018 3:29 AM

[quote]The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The Edmund Fitzgerald sank during a huge, hurricane force storm on Lake Superior. The details of her exact location and what precisely happened in her final moments were unknown for years but there has never been a mystery about what happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 169July 23, 2018 3:35 AM

Who stole two five dollar bills from my wallet two weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 170July 23, 2018 3:35 AM

[quote] The details of her exact location and what precisely happened in her final moments were unknown for years

Sounds mysterious to me

by Anonymousreply 171July 23, 2018 3:36 AM

^ Ugh, Meyer, not Meyers for more than one of my above posts. Sorry.

[quote] Sounds mysterious to me

Ship sinks during hurricane force storm. Details may be unknown but not a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 172July 23, 2018 3:38 AM

Why do fools fall in love ?

by Anonymousreply 173July 23, 2018 3:39 AM

R172

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 23, 2018 3:40 AM

.That's a theory r162. The hole in it is the refusal to allow DNA testing. Saying "It's a girl!" without proof is a red herring. I have no dog in this fight but I'd love to know.

Skeletal remains don't just happen to be interred under a heavy stone stairwell. Somebody went to a lot of bother.

by Anonymousreply 175July 23, 2018 3:41 AM

What ever happened to my former neighbor. She was wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 23, 2018 3:45 AM

Has anyone mentioned Dayatlov Pass?

by Anonymousreply 177July 23, 2018 3:46 AM

Re the Princes in the Tower: circumstantial evidence points the most to Richard III having murdered them. If he had not had them killed Richard could have easily combat the immediate and widespread rumors they had been murdered by displaying them to the public, and if they had been murdered but not by him he could have taken action to avenge them. BUT Henry VII had as much if not more motive. So long as Richard kept Parliament's support, he was safe in relying on the boys' declared illegitimacy. Henry VII initially took the throne by right of conquest, but then relied on the boys' original legitimacy to strengthen his hold on the throne after marrying their sister. But that same legitimacy would work against him if they were still alive. Richard only held the throne about 2 years--it's likely Henry could have produced evidence of their murder had it been done during Richard's reign. Confirming their murder could only strengthen his position further. It's very odd that Henry would rely on assumption the boys had been murdered--at the very least he would have held a ceremonial funeral--because without any confirmation there was risk that someone would come forward with supporters claiming to be one of the escaped Princes. And in fact there were reported grifters who tried just that. Luckily for Henry he became wildly popular and none of them gained any kind of support.

by Anonymousreply 178July 23, 2018 4:13 AM

Probably what happened to the Princes is that the elder, the King died of disease. Apparently he was very sick in the summer of 1483. And the younger one got killed by orders of Henry VII.

by Anonymousreply 179July 23, 2018 4:15 AM

What happened to Elisa Lam?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180July 23, 2018 4:15 AM

Occam's razor would suggest Richard II killed the boys. He had the easiest access to them and the most reason to kill them.

by Anonymousreply 181July 23, 2018 4:30 AM

R141 - yes! That’s been talked about for years! I’ve heard it at parties, bars, BBQs, here and out on the island. Usually something along the lines of “you know, it’s so-and-so’s son, right? his father got the cops to help protect his son” gets said and heads start nodding in agreement.

The story that sounded most plausible to me was they found one of the bodies, things point to the son, father gets police chief somehow to help cover it up, he does but time goes by and more bodies found, cover up goes on, more involved, all in too deep to come clean without def jail time. Apparently tho, a whole lot of politicos and cops are shitting themselves now after those who orchestrated the initial cover up are either convicted or under investigation for corruption. Everyone’s waiting for that one guy to finally offer it all up for a deal.

R164 - I remember when the flight crashed in Queens - it was right after the concert at MSG for 9/11 where some drunk NYPD or FDNY invited Bin Laden to come kiss his Irish ass at an address that was only a few blocks from where the plane crashed. I have some family who live down there very near the crash, knew the ones killed on the ground, the whole neighborhood was a mess with wondering if this was because of what was said at MSG. But given that flight was headed to the Dominican Republic, I highly doubt it was deliberate. Just a tragedy with eerie coincidences related to then current events.

As for lots of people moving from there - I have call false on that. These neighborhoods-Belle Harbor, Neponsit, Breezy Point-are practically restricted neighborhoods within NYC. People grow up there, marry, buy their own place there. People usually sell by word of mouth. Good luck finding any dark complexions (beyond a summer tan) there other than workers. Hell, the residents complain every year the families from flight come down on the anniversary! They even tried to get the local RC church to not have a memorial mass!

These neighborhoods have some beautiful beaches, and are the closest beaches to some minority heavy neighborhoods but thanks to some Political shenanigans a few decades ago, no street parking from Memorial Day to Labor Day. In essence, they treat the beaches as their own private beach. Mostly Irish, Italian, and some Jewish make up the demographics. I still wonder how so many firefighters, teachers, police, can afford the houses down there when a fixer upper starts in the $700k’s.

But, they all cleaned up with Build It Back money to this day - I know one guy who is just now getting some $150k from some State agency because of supposed heretofore undiscovered foundation issues from Sandy damage requiring him to tear down and rebuild his house.

So yeah, lot of crocks down there too - and a lot intermarried into one family that own tons of property all over these neighborhoods, as well as the rest of the Rockaways and Broad Channel.

Sorry for going off on a tangent!

More mysteries, and theories please!!

by Anonymousreply 182July 23, 2018 5:17 AM

As for Richard III and the Princes in the Tower... one factor that hasn't been mentioned is that Richard was so short on heirs that he may not have wanted to get rid of minor nephews. He had one legitimate son, who died in 1484, and the princes vanished in 1483 or 1484. By the end of his reign in 1485, Richard had no son and no nephews, although with his wife's illness and death in 1485 he may have felt confident about remarrying and having more sons.

In those days it was normal for the richest and most powerful nobles to be deeply disloyal, untrustworthy, and even treasonous, it was only a matter of time before some entitled sumbitch tried to put the sons of the previous king on the throne. The logical thing for Richard to do would have been to keep the kids alive but completely under his own control, to keep them in the Tower or someplace secret, but alive.

Yes, the boys represented a potential threat to him, but also a potential asset, but to Henry Tudor they were nothing but rival claimants to the throne. Or potential rival claimants. And once he decided to marry their sister, they were a major threat, because if his wife was considered legitimate then their claim to the throne was infinitely better than his own. If the princes were alive and hidden by 1486, he'd have needed to hunt them down and kill them.

by Anonymousreply 183July 23, 2018 5:36 AM

R182, I've lived in New York since the early 1970s and everything you posted aligns with the stories I've heard over the years, including from a closeted married cop boyfriend who lived in Breezy Point.

by Anonymousreply 184July 23, 2018 6:13 AM

I think Lindberg killed his own son, perhaps he dropped him?

by Anonymousreply 185July 23, 2018 6:37 AM

Building 7.

by Anonymousreply 186July 23, 2018 6:38 AM

^ I have video footage of Building 7 massively aflame on its entire front side before its collapse, shot by a private videographer who had once worked for NYPD and was let on scene by some of his old friends in the department.

On the other hand, like the Towers, it dropped straight down when it collapsed and nearly all the publicly available footage shows squibs going off in multiple places immediately preceding the collapse if you look closely enough.

"Pull it."

by Anonymousreply 187July 23, 2018 6:50 AM

Why do fools fall in love ?

by Anonymousreply 188July 23, 2018 6:53 AM

What crashed in Roswell, NM?

by Anonymousreply 189July 23, 2018 6:58 AM

What crashed at Murray Island?

by Anonymousreply 190July 23, 2018 7:05 AM

Whatever happened in the soft butch sous chef murder?!? Was it simple robbery gone wrong?!?!

by Anonymousreply 191July 23, 2018 9:04 AM

r191, she took a plea deal for 2nd degree murder and got 24 years. Her girlfriend/accomplice got 6 months. Pretending to be a guy, she had replied to an online ad he placed, . At allocution she revealed horrifying details of his slaughter. He did fight back.

Google David Messerschmit.

by Anonymousreply 192July 23, 2018 9:33 AM

^ Messerschmit's wife started sobbing in court and couldn't stop while the bitch detailed what she had done to him.

by Anonymousreply 193July 23, 2018 9:41 AM

As a reader of history, the Princes in the Tower fascinate me. I've read enough to side with those who feel like Richard III, who was a very able fighter but lacked political skills, was duped and manipulated by Margaret Beaufort and the Stafford, the Duke of Buckingham. Buckingham believed he had a strong claim on the throne, and Margaret Beaufort, who married him, believed of course that her son Henry (VII) Tudor was the legitimate heir. Richard apparently delegated Buckingham to see to the boys' welfare and he & Margaret had them killed, then blamed Richard to destroy Richard's reputation. The one TV series that seemed to me to come close to historical accuracy about the entire mess was the excellent White Queen. It really followed the sequence of events that has been historically established, with, of course , some embellishment. I've always felt Richard III got a raw deal and the Tudors smeared him post mortem. Even accused him of having an affair with his Niece, Edward IV's daughter, who eventually married Henry VII.

by Anonymousreply 194July 23, 2018 11:21 AM

You're mostly right R194, except that Buckingham wasn't married to Margaret Beaufort. Buckingham was married to one of Edward IV's Woodville sisters-in-law, which Buckingham resented as they were of too low birth for him. Margaret was married to Thomas "Piece of Shit" Stanley, who turned traitor on Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth.

The real link between all of the Tudor conspirators is Bishop John Morton. Here's a good read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 23, 2018 11:39 AM

Elisa Lam isn’t unsolved. She was in psychosis and climbed into the water tower. There are videos on YouTube demonstrating how it would be possible for a person of her size to do so. Biggest non-mystery out there.

by Anonymousreply 196July 23, 2018 1:37 PM

[quote] Biggest non-mystery out there.

That's a stretch

by Anonymousreply 197July 23, 2018 1:42 PM

Usually the most prosaic is the truth. People love to make things more complicated and mysterious than they are. People who disappear in national parks? Simple. As others have said, they get lost, fall off cliffs or go exploring caves, etc., etc. and nature has a way of taking care of decaying bodies, not to mention wildlife. It's not aliens, Bigfoot or serial killers. Not that I don't know that a few people get murdered or commit suicide but the majority are accidental deaths. Like the Bermuda Triangle it's nothing supernatural or extraterrestrial.

by Anonymousreply 198July 23, 2018 1:58 PM

Recent article on DB Cooper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 23, 2018 2:22 PM

D.B. Cooper is dead to me!

by Anonymousreply 200July 23, 2018 2:45 PM

I'm not sure I believe anyone who claims to know "for sure" who D.B, Cooper was (or the people who claim to know "for sure" who Jack the Ripper, The Zodiac, The Black Dahlia slayer, etc. were)

by Anonymousreply 201July 23, 2018 2:57 PM

It would be very easy to get lost in a national park...I can get turned around in just a few acres.

by Anonymousreply 202July 23, 2018 3:11 PM

^^^ It would be equally easy to get kidnapped and/or murdered in a national park.

Or in Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 203July 23, 2018 4:24 PM

I'd like to know what happened to the Kardashian jewel theft case. That seemed to be dropped quickly by the media. Was it a publicity stunt?

by Anonymousreply 204July 23, 2018 5:18 PM

Google Operation Miranda

One of the strangest murder sprees I've ever heard about.

by Anonymousreply 205July 23, 2018 5:42 PM

^^ oops, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 206July 23, 2018 5:49 PM

That's fine R182. We're probably at most 20 mins apart. Knew 3 separate people in that neighborhood who bailed. They didn't sell their homes, you're correct. Passed them to family members. The one who didn't come back high tailed it to Wappingers Falls. The other 2, one moved to Florida and the other back to the crash site. These were high anxiety partially or fully Italians.

by Anonymousreply 207July 23, 2018 7:07 PM

As to people vanishing in National Parks, I assume it's because that's where people who aren't wilderness experts get in trouble in the wilderness. Get in serious trouble in the wilderness, and a bear or gator will probably find you before the rangers do!

Sure, people vanish in the wilderness wherever people go into the wilderness, but the national parks are where you get the highest proportion of clueless idiots trying stuff they shouldn't. Because it's a national park with rangers and warning signs and shit, people assume the places are somehow safe. They're not, nature is never safe.

by Anonymousreply 208July 23, 2018 7:18 PM

As to the Princes In The Tower, of course Margaret Beaufort would have killed them if she could have, and junk historical novelist Phillippa Gregory (author of "The White Queen") had her be responsible.

But Gregory is not a reliable source, to put it politely, and while I have no doubt that Beaufort would have killed any Yorks she could, the question is whether she'd have been able to find a way. Because it's not like Richard trusted her.

by Anonymousreply 209July 23, 2018 7:23 PM

In agreement R198. Every week someone at a natural park setting lookout site bites it somewhere in the world. Imagine what happens trekking at night in miles of deep woods.

I was so deflated finding out the truth of the Bermuda Triangle. I wanted it to stay a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 210July 23, 2018 7:41 PM

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think it says "Hysterical Mysteries".

That would be so much more DL...

by Anonymousreply 211July 23, 2018 7:44 PM

Where there's smoke...

Prince Edward and Wallis Simpson referred to the Queen Mum as Cookie. Supposedly her noble father knocked up the help from kitchen staff. The cook. The child was raised as if a full sibling to his other children but The Queen's mother was only their half sibling. I read some British site and this theory was 'sleuthed' rigorously, made a damned good case. I believe it. I mean look at her. Supposedly her daughter Margaret always ribbed her about it. Possibly The Queen descends from skullery staff. Try it on. See if it fits.

Take note of her birthplace. Odd, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 23, 2018 7:57 PM

^ nothing regal, noble or aristocratic in that portrait, is there?

She never did sit right with my instincts. A corundum. Always

by Anonymousreply 213July 23, 2018 8:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 23, 2018 8:06 PM

Great, R212! So if there is a King George VII, he'll be descended from both a cook and a stewardess.

Let's hope it gives him the common touch.

by Anonymousreply 215July 23, 2018 8:11 PM

What are the actual circumstances that doomed the Titanic? There are so many possibilities. In every case, they lead back to corporate greed and economic malfeasance, so in that real sense we know what sank the Titanic.

But the details are murky. The coal strike. The speed of the ship. Inferior steel used by White Star to clad the ship. Inferior rivets to hold it together. The onboard coal fire (combined with the inferior building materials.) The possibility that it really was the Olympic, switched with the Titanic, that was deliberately sunk, the Olympic having been badly damaged in a crash, and the switch having been made to collect a big insurance pay out.

White Star and the British government both moved swiftly to cover up the facts and blame it all on the ice berg. We will probably never know the full answer to any of it.

by Anonymousreply 216July 23, 2018 8:13 PM

I remember people checking the birthdate of Q.Mum's supposedly younger sibling noting it had been altered and mysterious birthplace attributed to it as well. This Brit biographer paid a visit to the archives around 1994. It was then determined Mum's cook mother and father's wife were knocked up within a few months of each other!

Noting the inconsistencies surrounding Mum's birth best to remind yourself of the year. 1900. Not 1700.

Myself, I have full life histories; birth, marriage, deaths. Dates, places even names of witnesses at weddings, births and christianings from the mid 1600s so I buy this theory with all of my being. Every fiber, every cell

by Anonymousreply 217July 23, 2018 8:47 PM

"Myself, I have full life histories; birth, marriage, deaths. Dates, places even names of witnesses at weddings, births and christianings from the mid 1600s "

Well that makes you the oldest eldergay on the Datalounge, cupcake!

by Anonymousreply 218July 23, 2018 8:59 PM

Didn't even know this book existed. Well here it is.

A French cook

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 23, 2018 9:02 PM

+1 for Johnny Gosh and The Franklin Cover-Up

by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2018 9:09 PM

@R219, photos, 4th one. Her mother, Marguerite the Cook behind her daughter on wedding day.

by Anonymousreply 221July 23, 2018 9:29 PM

OK. Does no one care at all about the location of tomb of Alexander the Great the most awesome Gay man who ever lived??????? And What about Cleopatra? Some say her tomb is now underwater in that treasure trove of monuments and artifacts under the ocean floor in the harbor at Alexandria.

There was a huge ornate tomb discovered a few years back in Greece,I think it's Amphipolis. not sure of the spelling. No one can figure out who's in it, but several skeletons were unearthed and who ever it was was seriously wealthy and powerful, and it was from Alexander's time. If Mary Renault's writings are to be believed, everything fell apart after Alexander died and Kassandros killed his entire family.

by Anonymousreply 222July 23, 2018 9:32 PM

The Queen mum was the eighth child of her aristocratic parents, there would have been no need to include her in the family. It's not like they were shorts of kids.

Wasn't the titanic wreckage conclusively proved to be the real deal, not her damaged sister?

by Anonymousreply 223July 23, 2018 9:34 PM

R184 - that’s interesting you mentioned a married closeted cop in Breezy as I knew (biblically) one as well! This was in the 90’s so probably not same guy. Also knew a closeted firefighter (again biblically) who wound up married in Belle Harbor. Anyway, curious if you heard anything else from your cop?

R207 - oh ok, understand now much better! Apparently it is a thing for families to sell (usually at absurdly low prices) their houses to other family or friends when retiring, settling wills, etc.. My family are all from the City, but thru the years scattered out to LI, upstate, NJ, CT, and MA. My mother on the UES, and me on the UWS, are the last holdouts lol I actually haven’t been down to Belle Harbor in a while - usually just for family events - but as nice as it may be to have a big, beautiful Victorian on a beach block, I could not imagine living there.

by Anonymousreply 224July 23, 2018 9:39 PM

Here you go, R222. Some interesting work is being done in search of Cleoatra's burial spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 23, 2018 9:42 PM

What happened to Frederick Valentich, the pilot who disappeared on a flight from Australia to Tasmania, after reporting being followed "by something I have never seen before".

After all that has been written about it, I reecently found out that the Japanese task force was spotted on its way to attack Pear Harbor. A Russian freighter on its way from the California to Vladivostok spotted the attack fleet on December 2 (5 days out from Hawaii). They reported the sighting to Moscow, but Moscow never reported it to Washington. Why? (Admittedly the Germans were at the gates of Moscow then and the Russians were planning a major counter attack.) But still - makes you wonder...

by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2018 9:43 PM

^^ Truman's mistake was dropping the 2nd A bomb on Nagasaki.

It should have been Moscow.

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2018 9:50 PM

Mary Jo Kopechne's death fascinates me because there are different theories and the recent podcast Cover-Up did a great job of discussing a couple of theories. I kind of lean to the theory that Mary Jo passed out in the backseat of the car and Ted and another Boiler Room girl who he was fucking drove off not knowing Mary Jo was in the backseat. Rosemary Keough's purse and ID were in the car. Rosemary and the other Boiler Room girls have mostly keep quiet about that night. Mary Jo's idiot parents fucked up the investigation, but not allowing an autopsy to be done. The parents regretted that for years.

by Anonymousreply 228July 23, 2018 10:00 PM

Thank you, R225, that's a good article about Cleopatra's tomb. Interesting. I've read that she was a great admirer of Alexander the Great and even took Julius Caesar to visit Alexander's tomb. I would not be surprised to learn she had her tomb placed not far from Alexander's. By that I mean Siwa.

Alexander traveled to Siwa and learned from the oracle there that he was indeed the son of Amon/ Zeus. Or so the legend goes. When Ptolemy intercepted Alexander's funeral cortege and re directed it to Egypt, it was speculated that he brought Alxander to Siwa. The location is not that far from this place they believe Cleopatra's tomb to be.

by Anonymousreply 229July 23, 2018 10:06 PM

R223 Are you headless!?!

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2018 11:00 PM

Absolutely adore this snow job article on Queen Mum. There it is again but worded diffrently. No less, the Queen's grandmother was a cook. The help!

I've got you beat Liz..at something😅

Let me have this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 23, 2018 11:08 PM

R204, that “robbery” stunk to high heaven.

Inside job, publicity stunt. Not sure what combination, but there were so many holes in the story, it’s certainly didn’t happen the way they said it did.

by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2018 11:57 PM

While researching Queen Elizabeth's maternal grandmother, the cook, I've solved another mystery. I've always wondered if dishy author Lady Colin was a transsexual. Turns out she is. Was raised as a boy named George

After surgery, the toast of the town. New York society for this blue blood. Combination of looks and breeding considered the most beautiful blond archetype unknown to man.

You've got to read this. Open the link. Should have posted this in the Schizophrenia thread.

What are you guys gonna do when I recover from my injuries and get on with life? I'll make a thread and visit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 24, 2018 12:02 AM

What is the real gender of Lady Colin Campbell. Is it male or female?

by Anonymousreply 234July 24, 2018 12:04 AM

Does anyone know the ethnic background of Carolyn Besette Kennedy? Was she French? Jewish?

It's a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 235July 24, 2018 12:05 AM

Whad do I look like R234? Do I look like a moron to you? Open the link, ya mook.

by Anonymousreply 236July 24, 2018 12:08 AM

R235 Google is your friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 24, 2018 12:08 AM

LOL. So tired of that decade old saying R237. It's tired. LOL. You're tired. LOL.Retire that comeback already. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 238July 24, 2018 12:13 AM

Hey idiot @237, it doesn't mention her ethnic background at all. There's no mention of it anywhere, actually. That's why I was asking. Stunad.

by Anonymousreply 239July 24, 2018 12:28 AM

There is no 237, at least not on my screen. She must be an Old Troll recycling one of her many browsers.

by Anonymousreply 240July 24, 2018 12:32 AM

Correct R240. It's one of the Devil's Advocate strain of troll. Whatever comment people leave, this troll says the exact opposite to get a response. Illogical word salad. See R223. It's really dumb. Sometimes I'll indulge it but I'll make it reach by ignoring it and someone else steps in. I make it work. Love when it retorts with a question while rolling eyes like a 7th grader.

There's the state of being alone. Then there's the state of sad, desperate loneliness. Poor mite is the latter.

by Anonymousreply 241July 24, 2018 12:44 AM

The truth about the old film trope

Quicksand. Never hear about it anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 24, 2018 12:46 AM

The serial killer of Halifax Nova Scotia.

Shouldn't this have been simple to figure? No Einsteins working this case

Reddit has a link and then there's this. Don't go down the rabbit hole if you have things to get done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 24, 2018 12:53 AM

Ye Olde Troll. Good one!😂

by Anonymousreply 244July 24, 2018 1:03 AM

Such a great thread.

The queen mother was in fact the daughter of a cook. This is the basis of her blinding hatred of the Duke & Duchess of Windsor. They knew. Everybody knew, and they tormented her. She was seen as necessary to offset the spector of inbreeding in the royal family. Fresh blood to preserve the line. That said, her show during the blitz and the production of Elizabeth II( with a very,very limited husband) makes her a true royal by any standard. If the current royal family were to be DNA tested, the fallout would be vast. The Queen, despite great challenges, has done a masterful job. And Diana, love her or hate her, has left us all with two fine sons.

2) And still, Lindbergh killed that kid.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 245July 24, 2018 1:17 AM

Sources on the Lindbergh killing? I'm familiar with the official Hauptmann story.

by Anonymousreply 246July 24, 2018 1:24 AM

Yeah, the idea that the Queen Mother was the daughter of a lowly cook would have been hilarious, but as you can see in the following portrait, she was the picture of her mother. Besides, lol at the idea that Mary of Teck would have let her son marry the daughter of a cook

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 24, 2018 2:07 AM

Who was the Poe Toaster?

by Anonymousreply 248July 24, 2018 2:10 AM

How is that Mark Whalberg had a career?

by Anonymousreply 249July 24, 2018 3:21 AM

Did you all know that the Titanic search and movie was used as a real-life “cover” for the search for a sunken Soviet sub? True story. A researcher had to find a US sub, on which my friend’s Dad died, and a Soviet sub. Only afterward, was he allowed to look for the Titanic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 24, 2018 4:36 AM

There is no mystery about the Edmund Fitzgerald, and the ship has been found. Here’s Harry Reasoner, the famous newsreader of the day,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251July 24, 2018 4:40 AM

What happened to the Hebrew ark of the covenant and Temple gold? It’s likely that they were taken to Rome as war booty and melted down to pay for the Pantheon and Colosseum, but it would be cool to know. Under Emporer Vespasian, General Titus.

Centuries later, in 410 A.D., when Rome was first sacked by barbarians, the Visigoths led by King Alaric declared that the Pantheon was too beautiful to destroy, and told his troops to leave it untouched. How’s that?

by Anonymousreply 252July 24, 2018 4:50 AM

When Julius Caesar conquered Gaul, he killed or enslaved one quarter of the population.

by Anonymousreply 253July 24, 2018 4:52 AM

Where is Shelly Miscavige?

by Anonymousreply 254July 24, 2018 5:03 AM

Only one Roman gladiator bone has ever been discovered. What’s with that?

Only one bone of a crucified man has ever been discovered. What’s with that? They can’t all have been assumed, bodily, into Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 255July 24, 2018 5:07 AM

What was Billie Joe MacAllister throwin' off the Tallahachee Bridge?

by Anonymousreply 256July 24, 2018 5:19 AM

My first trip to New England, R211.........We were headed toward Plymouth, Mass. to see the infamous rock, and there was a sign along the Interstate that originally read "Plymouth Rock: Historical Sight" but someone changer the word "Historical" to "Histerical." One we got our first glimpse of the actual size of the rock, and how it was displayed there was no mystery regarding the spelling. Like everyone else, we assumed it would be so much larger

by Anonymousreply 257July 24, 2018 5:20 AM

Man has been around for 100,000 to 2 million years. Civilization is less than 10,000 years old. What changed that created civilization?

People here said “agriculture”. That may be true, but I want to read the book, that lays it all out, as change occurred.

Indigenous Americans migrated 15,000 - 10,000 years ago. They didn’t have the wheel, or horses, suggesting both were new to man since that time.

by Anonymousreply 258July 24, 2018 5:22 AM

R257, it’s a symbol, with no historical basis.

My 11th Great Grandmother was on the Mayflower. After the trial of the journey, and seeing the desolation of Plymouth, MA, she flung herself overboard and died without ever first reaching shore. She was 31.

by Anonymousreply 259July 24, 2018 5:31 AM

Who threw the overalls in Mrs Murphy's chowder?

by Anonymousreply 260July 24, 2018 5:54 AM

Sometimes I'm still surprised by the random shit that gets legs on the internet. The Queen Mother one is probably one of the best - Mary of Teck, an insufferable snob who made Queen Victoria look laid back, allowing a bastard in the first string of royalty?

The nickname "cookie" was actually a dig at the fact the Lyons wing of her family was a grocery whizz who made a lot of money and married into old aristocracy due to them needing cash! This always rankled QE and was why she was a stickler for protocol when Bertie was alive.

by Anonymousreply 261July 24, 2018 6:21 AM

I want to know how the massive Chicago Fire really started....

I don't believe it was the cow.

by Anonymousreply 262July 24, 2018 6:46 AM

R261 - nail on the head! Even without Queen Mary, if the old Earl had in fact fathered a child with the cook, does anyone really think the Strathmores would have taken her in, raised her as “one of us”? This isn’t some Julian Fellowes drama. Plus, as pointed out above, Queen Mother grew into the image of her own mother.

As far as the “Cookie” nickname, I hadn’t heard that version. I have heard Wallace, commenting on QM’s matronly fashion and plump figure compared her to looking more like the cook than the duchess. Of course Edward loved her comparison and thereafter, both of these miserable persons referred to her as “Cookie”.

by Anonymousreply 263July 24, 2018 8:00 AM

"Only one Roman gladiator bone has ever been discovered. What’s with that? "

Gladiators were slaves, and didn't rate the kind of high-quality burials that preserve bodies for future generations of archeologists. Hell, for all we know the losing gladiators ended up as a high-protein breakfast on the next day's training table...

by Anonymousreply 264July 24, 2018 9:00 AM

Poor R263. A retart.

by Anonymousreply 265July 24, 2018 9:14 AM

Retart

by Anonymousreply 266July 24, 2018 9:17 AM

Restart.

by Anonymousreply 267July 24, 2018 10:13 AM

Great thread.

by Anonymousreply 268July 24, 2018 10:23 AM

Natalie Woods death

by Anonymousreply 269July 24, 2018 3:34 PM

[quote] R264: Gladiators were slaves...

I’m hearing lately that they grew to be more like slaves/sports stars. We have no real comparison today, but they were highly prized, in life, anyway. Their bodies may have been burnt, my guess, but for hundreds of years, no body? Hard to imagine.

I understand all Romans had to be interred outside the city gates, so maybe they got mixed up with the hoi palloi.

by Anonymousreply 270July 24, 2018 4:09 PM

Glaaaaaaaaaadiator

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271July 24, 2018 4:15 PM

That one, single, crucifiction bone is interesting.

The nails were thought to have brought good luck. Not to the inflicted, sadly. But that’s why we can expect to find no nails today. In this one case, it hit a knot in the wood, bending it, making it hard to pull out of the wood from the nail head. If they were Jews, they would have required burial by sundown, so in the rush, they did not get the nail out.

There’s a plaster cast of it. The original was supposed to be reburied after rediscovery (the modern Jewish authorities require prompt reburial, if the deceased might possibly have been a Jew), but it also is in a drawer somewhere, commandeered by some crafty Archeologist.

by Anonymousreply 272July 24, 2018 4:18 PM

Thank you R271!!!!!!! Thank you SO much!!!!!! I adore that woman!!! That was absolutely priceless. She was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 273July 24, 2018 5:36 PM

The police also can't rule out the possibility that Joseph Newton-Chandler III/ Robert Ivan Nichols was the zodiac killer.

by Anonymousreply 274July 24, 2018 10:21 PM

WEHT The Amber Room?

by Anonymousreply 275July 24, 2018 10:23 PM

r246 re: Lindberg. The source is A Scott Berg's bio of him. It is the one that implicates the aunt, who was known to be mentally unstable. Members of the household staff were instructed **never** to leave her alone with the baby.

One of the staff forgot about, or ignored the rule. Allegedly, she killed herself over it. People who were trying to implicate Hauptmann pointed to her suicide as proof of an 'inside job' between him and staff, although he was guilty of extortion only.

by Anonymousreply 276July 25, 2018 12:17 AM

Poor R265, R266, R267 - too much of mother’s sherry again, we see.

by Anonymousreply 277July 25, 2018 12:38 AM

The American Dyatlov Pass Incident or Lost boys of Yuba city. “On February 24, 1978, a group of friends from Yuba City in California; Gary Dale Mathias, Jack Madruga, Jackie Huett, Theodore (Ted) Weiher and William Sterling; set out on a trip to watch a basketball game, left after it finished and then somehow drove up a mountain into the wilderness and were never seen again. This story has been described as the American version of the very mysterious Dyatlov Pass incident. ”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278July 25, 2018 12:43 AM

There was a documentary asking that exact same question R275. It was either on NatGeo or History channels. The consensus seemed to be the Germans looted the room, transported it to Konigsberg Castle to be reconstructed later, but was destroyed during the Allied bombing of Konigsberg. Even so, there have been documented cases of pieces of the Amber room being found, so whether more is out there in private hands remains to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 279July 25, 2018 12:47 AM

Thank you, R276!

by Anonymousreply 280July 25, 2018 1:11 AM

R278 the American Dyatlov incident is so weird, they had food and heating soureces in the cabin they were found but they never used them and why did they leave the car, when it was functioning and not stucked in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 281July 25, 2018 2:34 AM

I vaguely recall reading a story about a group of three or four young men who went missing in Sweden in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 282July 25, 2018 2:36 AM

How about the young nun in Chicago who went missing, only to be found 2 months later dumped at a garbage dump? Rumour was and remains she stumbled upon abuses being committed at the HS she taught at was about to blow the whistle. There was a podcast about it recently. Sorry I’m having a brain fart and can’t recall the poor nun’s name or that of the podcast.

by Anonymousreply 283July 25, 2018 3:06 AM

The Arran Mystery of 1889 - was it murder or an accident?

(also reading about it made me wonder if the victim and the perp were getting it on......)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284July 25, 2018 3:16 AM

R144, Yes, it was PSU, the main library (Pattee). I was also one of the few on the campus that Thanksgiving vacation. Spooky. Unsolved.

by Anonymousreply 285July 25, 2018 3:32 AM

The girl killed in the Penn State library was Betsy Aardsma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286July 25, 2018 3:40 AM

Richard Cox - 2nd year West Point cadet, last seen January 1950 leaving West Point with a man named George, who his roommates said he had been spending time with the week before his disappearance.

I’ve read a few theories on this case:

• Cox and George were lovers, George helped him disappear, and start a new life.

• George was Cox’s handler, turned him into a Soviet agent, defected.

• Cox and George knew each other from/in Germany (Cox had been stationed there), renewed acquaintanceship here, George killed Cox either in retaliation for something that happened in Germany OR to keep him quiet about it.

Anyone else heard, read, or have any other theories?

I’d like to think theory number one explains it, and that Cox, either with or without George, lived a happy life as a gay man.

By the way, if Cox were still alive, he’d be turning 90 today, July 25th, 2018.

by Anonymousreply 287July 25, 2018 4:45 AM

r282: that’s probably the Dahlsjo case from 1965.

by Anonymousreply 288July 25, 2018 5:28 AM

That sounds like The Keepers, R283. You sure it wasn't Baltimore and a (terrific) Netflix series, not Chicago and a podcast?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289July 25, 2018 5:31 AM

R289 - I hang my head in shame! Yes, you are correct, it was The Keepers, a series, and in Baltimore. I blame a heavy pour in tonight’s Manhattan(s).

Curious if you have any additional info or thoughts on this case?

by Anonymousreply 290July 25, 2018 6:31 AM

EAR/ONS was my big one, and then the murders at/around Stanford in the seventies. One of those, Arlis Perry, was solved at the end of June and it's suspected that the same night watchman who killed her also killed the others. And then I'll only have the Doodler left, and it looks like that one may also be nearing the end.

Maybe it's time to jump on the Zodiac bandwagon even though it never really interested me.

by Anonymousreply 291July 25, 2018 7:04 AM

Bought the book DB Cooper and Me. Easy, quick, interesting read. Answers all questions and makes it clear the identity of the real hijacker and alphabet agency/"hamster" employee.

by Anonymousreply 292July 25, 2018 10:06 AM

Some of these posts are more about unsolved true crimes, than about Historical mysteries that fascinate me. Just sayin'.

OK. Here's a gossipy one: Did Janet Auchincloss, Jackie's mother, make sure her father was given a fifth of liquor when he checked into his rooms before Jackie's wedding to make sure he was completely incapacitated so Hugh could walk her down the aisle? Jackie adored Black Jack Bouvier and insisted he walk her down the aisle, and her mother was openly disapproving of it.

Also want to know if it's true that JFK bedded Lee Radziwill and Jackie got back at her by snatching Aristotle Onassis right out from under her nose? Lee was having an affair with Ari.

by Anonymousreply 293July 25, 2018 2:38 PM

The theft of The Irish Crown Jewels. The gay brother of explorer Ernest Shackleton was rumored to be involved

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294July 25, 2018 3:05 PM

[quote] R275: WEHT The Amber Room?

Good one. I think the Russians duplicated one wall for display in St. Petersburg. But imagine walking into a whole room like that! Also, I am in awe of people that are so wealthy that they can build such things, and live amongst it all.

by Anonymousreply 295July 25, 2018 3:19 PM

Roanoke Party was gay for pay, correct?

by Anonymousreply 296July 25, 2018 3:25 PM

R293, I have read both accounts of which you speak in numerous publications. The formidable Janet Auchincloss would do what she deemed necessary at any given moment. This was a woman who pulled a kitchen knife on a maid for insubordination, so...... Given Black Jack's love of the bottle, it's safe to say that he didn't leave the house without a few filled flasks on his person, so I don't even think it was necessary for Janet to intervene as a way of cultivating her own desired outcome. That said, Black Jack (it was reported) was drunk off his ass at Lee's wedding to Michael Canfield earlier that year, so Janet might have been thinking ahead. Nevertheless, there are those who INSIST that even though BJ didn't walk Jackie down the aisle, he was still there at the back pew to watch her get married - someone cleaned him up and took him to the church just in time.

I'm sure that JFK DID fuck Lee at least once, but Jackie was no innocent. Ari Onassis was a complete star fucker - she didn't have to devise a plan to capture him because he wanted her from the time they sailed together aboard the Christina in 1963. Some also INSIST that Jackie and Ari began their affair on that cruise while JFK was still alive. HE pursued HER!

by Anonymousreply 297July 25, 2018 5:16 PM

I'd read that Lee was fucking Ari even though he was still with Maria Callas and when JFK was assassinated Lee actually had Ari come over to the White House as intimate friends and family gathered in the days just prior to the wake and the funeral. Ari was anxious to be of use, he claimed he wanted to help Mrs. Kennedy in any way he could. Bobby was outraged because the DoJ was investigating Ari and Bobby thought Ari was trying to manipulate Jackie and Lee to get him to back off.

But Lee had already screwed up for herself back when Jackie had the miscarriage in August, 1963, and she was invited to travel on Ari's yacht with Lee as chaperone and the fairly well known tale was that Ari always gifted his lady guests and he gave Jackie some ostentatious gift of Rubies, and all Lee got was some paltry bauble. It was then that Lee realized Ari had the hots for Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 298July 25, 2018 6:40 PM

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.

-Churchill. (Also Caesar, essentially)

No matter with Trump however! Lol, not with a sharpie!

I’m sorry, no mystery here. He’ll be crucified. Just give it five years.

by Anonymousreply 299July 25, 2018 7:16 PM

Sorry, I should move this. Wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 300July 25, 2018 7:19 PM

Did Earhart and Noonan crash in the ocean and die, or crash near or on an island and die later on there? Very fascinating.

What crashed at Roswelll?

Where's that fucking plane that just disappeared? MH whatever..

by Anonymousreply 301July 26, 2018 5:47 AM

The speculation is that Earhart went down on some island and died there. Personally I think it is fascinating that they might actually have found her remains. When you consider her tiny plane and the probability it would crash into the ocean rather than on land, discovering it would be a miracle in a way.

by Anonymousreply 302July 26, 2018 12:29 PM

Yesterday, there were a bunch of articles on how several ships picked up Amelia's distress calls after she crashed.

by Anonymousreply 303July 26, 2018 2:10 PM

Steamships that sank and disappeared without any trace like the WARATAH and HANS HEDTOFT.

by Anonymousreply 304July 27, 2018 12:44 AM

Here's an article about the book that makes the case for the baby's killer being Anne's sister, Elizabeth Morrow. She died less than two years after the crime, officially of "pneumonia," but the book hints suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305July 27, 2018 1:09 AM

R286 Betsy's boyfriend was a medical student. He'd know exactly where to administer one quick,fatal stab to the heart ...... Hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 306July 27, 2018 2:18 PM

Great thread, OP!

Many interesting stories I was never aware of.

Gotta #❤LoveTheLounge

by Anonymousreply 307July 27, 2018 2:21 PM

Whenever I hear stories about the infamous Donner Party, I always have the most horrific nightmares. Can't sleep for days !

by Anonymousreply 308July 27, 2018 2:28 PM

r305 that's the book. It's an excellent read-Behn later wrote for Homicide: Life on the Street, and he's a good writer.

by Anonymousreply 309July 27, 2018 9:59 PM

Why did they find mummified remains of bodies of Norsemen with red hair in China?

by Anonymousreply 310July 28, 2018 12:14 AM

R310, Norsemen travelled to Constantinople on their own for trade. That city was connected to China by the Silk Road. Perhaps some Chinese trader thought their red hair would be interesting to the Emperor, so had them pickled for the trip back? They were also adventurists who hired-out as mercenaries, and might have willingly gone there for the money.

Mystery solved. Do I get a cookie?

by Anonymousreply 311July 28, 2018 12:33 AM

Just a note, the principle of Occum’s Razor suggests that the simplest solution is most likely to be the correct one; however, it does not say that it is, indeed, the correct one. This principle would lead one to conclude that the Sun goes around the Earth, or that the Earth is flat,for example.

There is another type of flawed logic used above that I can’t find now. I think it was about the Queen Mother. Oh yeah, it was: “where there is smoke, there is fire.” Smoke doesn’t imply anything, really. “Correlation does not imply causation”. Maybe there is so much smoke about the QM because it generates money for whoever is spreading the rumors? Or maybe not, we can’t tell, just from there being smoke.

by Anonymousreply 312July 28, 2018 1:02 AM

Until the investion of motion pictures, no one knew how it was that a horse galloped. The motion of horse feet was too fast for the human eye to see.

Problem since solved!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313July 28, 2018 1:19 AM

Yes, the MH flight that disappeared way off the coast of Australia. Someone turned off the known tracking devices and turned the plane around after the KL handoff and before the VN one. The plane flew a very precise course along the border of Thailand and then circled the tip of Sumatra. Then a straight line until it ran out of fuel.

The pilot had just been at a political rally for Anwar, the disgraced, jailed politician--actually I believe he's out again and he and Matathir have kissed and made up; that guy has been through the wringer--so he was probably disgusted with the corruption of the Malaysian government. Disappearing an airplane would embarrass the govt but to deliberately kill all the passengers, I just don't see it. He had posted a few videos on YouTube doing mundane things like how to fix a broken [appliance, can't remember exactly] and he was very calm and low key. I have NO faith that the Malaysian govt would figure it out and even if they managed to, they'd cover it up unless they could point the finger at the Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 314July 28, 2018 1:29 AM

Every pilot and ex-military officer I've talked to about MH370 believes that the US shot down the plane. That's what I think as well. I do not for a second believe that the US and Australian governments don't know what happened to it. That's the mystery at the top of my list. I'm not a kook, I'm a historian, for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 315July 28, 2018 1:35 AM

R315: Why was MH 370 shot down?

by Anonymousreply 316July 28, 2018 1:36 AM

r316 I'm not the other poster, but the theory at the time was the US conducted a secret exercise in/around the area. They have a base at Diego Garcia that was said to be the starting point for any regional operations. It was an accident in the one version I heard. In the other, the plane was off course and in/around the restricted area and they shot it down after getting no response from the pilots.

The other rumour I heard in the aviation community was that it *was* a pilot murder/suicide. The suspect was getting a divorce, in financial ruin and his political candidate was in disgrace (this is a big deal in Malaysia; politicians are personality cults and it's a dictatorship so it can be dangerous to support the wrong side). Like EgyptAir, US aviation officials fought amongst themselves about releasing any info because they didn't want to offend Malaysians in general and muslims in particular.

by Anonymousreply 317July 28, 2018 1:45 AM

[quote]“The only light available in the dark of the night was that given off by the fire itself,” reads The Deadly Night Of October 8, 1871, “creating an eerie glow that seemed to taunt the dying and surviving alike like the open mouth of hell.”

[quote]But on that very same night, some 250 miles north of Chicago, another inferno raged as well, this one in Peshtigo, Wis. Although widely eclipsed in history by the Great Chicago Fire, the Peshtigo Fire proved even deadlier than its neighbor to the south, and in fact gained the infamous status of the deadliest fire in recorded history.

[quote]The Peshtigo Fire ultimately reached the blistering temperature of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and speedily fanned through the fire hazard of a town built out of wood.

[quote]When the flames eventually died out, the damage of the Peshtigo Fire was staggering: The conflagration had consumed 1,875 square miles, obliterated 12 communities, and caused the deaths of between 1,500 and 2,500 people.

[quote]Because so many people died, there were not enough survivors to identify the victims, and many bodies remain unidentified to this day.

R262, The Great Chicago Fire happened at the same time of the Peshtigo Fire, which is largely forgotten (but shouldn't be). It appears that the atmospheric conditions at the time were just right for spreading fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318July 28, 2018 1:56 AM

London, San Francisco, and Rome also had their staggering fires.

by Anonymousreply 319July 28, 2018 2:04 AM

What r317 said are the same things I've heard. The sentiment is that the US would never tell the truth about what they know.

by Anonymousreply 320July 28, 2018 2:05 AM

r317 Was it then a coincidence that 20 staff members from a US technology company, Freescale Semiconductor were on MH370?

by Anonymousreply 321July 28, 2018 2:06 AM

I appreciate the gossip about the MH370, but remember that sentiment is another logical fallacy.

R321, people travel for business, in large groups, all the time. That’s not a coincidence, but doesn’t mean anything of significance.

by Anonymousreply 322July 28, 2018 2:09 AM

I would not expect it to be a US military failure because, if they never fessed-up, and lied about downing it, and then later, a foreign power released a tape of intercepted communication, it would mean lifetime prison sentences for whatever Americans were involved.

by Anonymousreply 323July 28, 2018 2:14 AM

R247, drunk again. He didn't marry the cook, you wasted fool! And Queen Mum looks nothing like her in ACTUAL photos. Die, troll.

by Anonymousreply 324July 28, 2018 2:33 AM

Wasted fool, R247 ^ not R287

by Anonymousreply 325July 28, 2018 2:36 AM

Thank you, R311. I'm baking your cookies as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 326July 28, 2018 2:43 AM

R310, the Norsemen or Vikings had dealings in Russia as well as the Middle East, trading or raiding or whatever they did. Didn't Russia have trade relations with China at least?

And anyway, there was a lot more serious migration before the West settled into nation-states. Nomadic people still existed, and so did campaigns of conquest, and tribal warfare where tribes decided they liked the next tribe's land better than their own, so they forced the other people off the land and both ended up moving... over and over again. There's a tribe of Jews who'd been found living in the western Chinese hinterlands for centuries, and there was a NOVA episode where they used a combination of DNA analysis and archaeology to trace a tribe of "Amazons" from the ancient Middle East to ancient Russia, to modern Mongolia. Maybe your Chinese Vikings were adventurers who wanted to see the world or who hired themselves out to some warlord, or maybe they just got pushed out of where they'd been living and went east.

by Anonymousreply 327July 28, 2018 3:09 AM

That airliner with 100 top AIDS researchers on it that got shot down over Ukraine. No radical group claimed responsibility.. Hmmm??

by Anonymousreply 328July 28, 2018 3:19 AM

oh bother, I just checked Aviation Herald, a website that collates aviation incidents. It was useful tracking MH370 updates when it first happened. The guy that runs the site posted a letter with his theory and it's a doozy. He posits that MH370 collided in mid air with another airplane off the northeast coast of Malaysia. The damage was to the cockpit, killing the pilots, knocking out the transponder, and interfering with the release of oxygen masks so passengers had no time to use their cell phones before dying of asphyxiation. It also pushed the airplane 180 degrees off course and it eventually ran out of fuel and went into the sea off Australia.

ooooookaaay. Thing is, there was talk about another airplane that night, a regularly scheduled one, but it was between Penang and Sumatra, i.e. the west coast. It was thought that MH 370 was shadowing it to avoid radar detection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329July 28, 2018 3:43 AM

I remember reading a woman's eyewitness account (she was a passenger on another plane, obviously) of seeing MH370 plummeting toward the sea.

by Anonymousreply 330July 28, 2018 3:49 AM

Mrs. O'Leary caused the fire. She used to smoke in the hayloft all the time, and wasn't always careful about where she tossed her cigarette butts.

by Anonymousreply 331July 28, 2018 4:18 AM

R328 the top AIDS researcher conspiracy theories floated a/Flight 800 and the one that went down into the ocean off of Nova Scotia, right into the ocean floor. Was the talk at all of gay clubs and AOL

by Anonymousreply 332July 28, 2018 5:05 AM

R321, meant for. Top AIDS researchers.😅 The US government. Ha! Pilot murder/suicide. Like the German pilot of GermanWings in the French Alps. No, AIDS researchers and US government!

by Anonymousreply 333July 28, 2018 5:15 AM

[quote]“where there is smoke, there is fire.” Smoke doesn’t imply anything, really. “Correlation does not imply causation”

Except that fire does, indeed, literally cause smoke.

by Anonymousreply 334July 28, 2018 2:17 PM

Some fires produces no smoke.

Some smoke is not the result of fire.

One must therefore be careful about drawing conclusions, just because fire often produces smoke.

by Anonymousreply 335July 28, 2018 3:27 PM

Why are all the conspirators in the Trump-Russer scandal not all in jail by now? Why have they all not fled the country, like Edward Snowden? At this point, I mean. Everybody knows how this enfolds. It’s just a question of who weasels out of the consequences and how effectively.

by Anonymousreply 336July 28, 2018 3:37 PM

^^^ UNFOLDS !

by Anonymousreply 337July 28, 2018 5:59 PM

Myself, and my friends Na'Gwabay and Dashumba used to swipe cigarettes from Father Feeney, and smoke them in the basement. There was plenty of smoke, but never a fire.

Eventually we quit when learned that "Cigarette Smoking May Be Hazardous To Your Health."

by Anonymousreply 338July 28, 2018 6:06 PM

I think there's a good chance Joseph Newton Chandler was the Zodiac killer.

Regarding the Doodler- I've read on r/UnresolvedMysteries that the police had a good suspect but he died during the AIDS epidemic so they were never able to charge him.

by Anonymousreply 339July 28, 2018 10:30 PM

I've read that the police knew exactly who the Doodler was but none of the three surviving victims would publicly identify him or testify because they were all highly closeted and doing so would out them. One was supposedly a famous performer and another a highly ranked government official.

by Anonymousreply 340July 28, 2018 10:48 PM

let's talk about Osama Bin Laden for a minute. I have a new theory. OK. So Russia invaded Afghanistan. The United States got involved arming the rebels, including Bin Laden and his Muslim extremists. So eventually the Afghans beat back the Russians and defeated them, ran them out of Afghanistan. Russia historically had problems with Chechen rebels who were Muslims too. Time passes. Bin Laden turns on the United states for reasons Still unknown to me and the vagueness seems contrived. Eventually Bin Laden and his extremists start plotting a scheming to get us out of the Middle East. As if we were the only ones in the Middle East. France and Great Britain were there too. So was Russia. Russia was supporting Syria and Iran.. But with the new Bin Laden he hates the United States and they attack us several times, but they really get us on 9/11. OK. So I'm wondering. Did Russia use Bin Laden and encourage the attack on 9/11? I know. You'll say Russia hated them. But Putin hates us more. And maybe his fingerprints are on 9/11. They were certainly all over the Middle east during "Arab Spring" and it would be typical of Russia to take an ally and turn them into our enemy.

by Anonymousreply 341July 28, 2018 11:18 PM

R431, interesting thoughts.

Firstly, it’s really not odd for bin Ladin to have turned on the US. His Afghan goal was freedom from infidel outsiders, all of them. In addition, he was anti-Israeli which I assume is Palestine related; and many conflate Israel with the USA. As Ron Pail asks: “Why do they hate us?” That’s a coward’s way of suggesting if we weren’t so aligned with Israel, maybe we wouldn’t be targeted by these terrorists.

But aside from that, it’s a reasonable question to ask as to whether or not the Russians encouraged bin Ladin. Personally, it’s unthinkable that any leader of a civilized country would have encouraged the specific 9-11 event. For humanitarian reasons, as it was civilians who were hit for futile military purposes; and also because it set a terrible precedent for which every nation that has civilized infrastructure is at risk. But the Russians might have en outraged bin Ladin without knowing the specifics of that plan.

by Anonymousreply 342July 29, 2018 10:35 AM

I recalling seeing a moving montage of pics of world leader’s initial reactions to 9-11. I can’t find it now. It was dozens of pics of leaders with anguish or shock on their faces as they react to the tragedy. Remember that civilians from around the world died that day. I don’t recall hearing how many children died, but there must have been some.

by Anonymousreply 343July 29, 2018 10:39 AM

[quote]Personally, it’s unthinkable that any leader of a civilized country would have encouraged the specific 9-11 event

There is speculation that the Russian apartment bombings were a false flag operation orchestrated by Putin and his goons to put Vlad in power. It worked.

Couple that with Malaysia Air flight 17 (the plane shot down over Ukraine) among many other smaller incidents and you start to wonder...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344July 29, 2018 11:05 AM

Is Rackstraw really DB Cooper?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345July 29, 2018 11:27 AM

Also, if DB Cooper survived the jump (I have my doubts), then why did he never spend any of the $200,000 ransom?

by Anonymousreply 346July 29, 2018 11:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347July 29, 2018 11:35 AM

R341, in light of current geopolitical events and ruso-american relations, I don’t think that your theory is as implausible as it once may have sounded.

by Anonymousreply 348July 29, 2018 11:35 AM

R341 here. There is no proof and I have seen no one publicly posit this theory. It comes out of my own brain just from observing and learning about Russia. But I believe the threads are there. I know from credible non fiction sources I've read about the Middle East, that Russia was and is the main non Middle Eastern power supporting Iran and Syria, and Russia's conduct these past couple of years in Syria shows they don't give a fuck about civilian casualties.

I also know that Russia has certainly been the invisible hand behind a lot of instability in the Middle East at least since the early 80's, and yes, they exploited our support of Israel as a point of conflict. I think, if you're interested, you might want to do some reading about the Middle East in the 70's & 80's. People talk about Jimmy Carter, who can be a pain in the ass, but he came closer to being an honest broker as we ever have.

The Camp David Accords are a great example of Carter's relentless determination to achieve some kind of peace in the ME. He negotiated an historical breakthrough between Egypt and Israel, at a time when the Muslim Brotherhood was gaining a foothold in the stews of Cairo. A short time later, Sadat was assassinated.

Even before Putin, Russia thrives on discord and chaos. The Cold War was all about surrogate nations fighting one another. And Russia was humiliated in Afghanistan. Really humiliated. Think about it. Carter backed the Afghans, (including Bin Laden,) and boycotted the Olympics, etc. which pissed a lot of Americans off because they wanted to compete. So Russia viewed Afghanistan as a real turning point in the relationship with us, and in the Middle East itself. I just think it is worth looking in to. I wonder what those Deplorables would think of Russia if a connection was discovered.

by Anonymousreply 349July 29, 2018 12:04 PM

Want to just add that a lot of Eastern Europeans Oligarchs made a lot of money being arms dealers and they've been up to their eyeballs in armed conflict in developing nations in Africa, with various warlords, as well as in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 350July 29, 2018 12:08 PM

R314, - R317, There's another theory of what happened to MH 370 and other mysterious plane crashes. Look who was on board and the resulting financial benefits. Abel Danger Field McConnell has made a few extremely controversial statements.

by Anonymousreply 351July 29, 2018 12:10 PM

Daily Mail is reporting Russia is liquidating almost all its holdings in U S treasuries. So after Putin encourages Asshole to fuck up our economy, he personally is making sure he bails out.

by Anonymousreply 352July 29, 2018 12:45 PM

"Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, missing since 2014, was probably steered off course deliberately and flown to the southern Indian Ocean, according to the Malaysian government’s safety report into the disaster."

One wonders about the truthfulness of a report on the matter submitted by the Malaysian government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353July 30, 2018 5:07 PM

Bah. Corrected link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354July 30, 2018 5:08 PM

My brother is a Captain for a major airline. Pilots are a strange bunch. They are smart, often have a "God" complex and they drink. A lot.

My brother and his coworkers all believe that Long Island flight was shot down. Half think it was a terrible accident. Friendly fire.

The problem, or my problem is this. This was on Bill Clintons' watch. I'm a Clinton supporter, both Bill and Hillary. Just tell us. I know they know.

Also, Daddy Bush is circling the drain. For the love of God why can't he just come clean about JFK? He was there and he knows.

by Anonymousreply 355July 31, 2018 4:10 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 356July 31, 2018 4:29 PM

oh please don't let this die. Best thread in such a long time.

How about the Marie Celeste? I think the haunted ship thing has been pretty thoroughly debunked but its still interesting.

Also G.H.W Bush, head of the C.I.A being in Dallas for the JFK assassination, denying being there and proven to have been?

Come on kids. Somebody knows something.

by Anonymousreply 357July 31, 2018 9:15 PM

R357 - re: Marie Celeste - I remember reading something within the past few years that a new (?) theory was the cargo they were carrying was giving off fumes, which was a sign it could explode, so the whole bunch went into the skiff to be safe, but some winds took the Marie Celeste and they were all left in the skiff in the ocean. If true imagine the horror!

by Anonymousreply 358July 31, 2018 9:48 PM

[quote]One wonders about the truthfulness of a report on the matter submitted by the Malaysian government.

One wonders about the truthfulness of a report on [bold]any[/bold] matter submitted by [bold]any[/bold] government.

by Anonymousreply 359July 31, 2018 11:13 PM

I always think the Templars were a fascinating group. So little is really known, were they the crack outfit many claim; or were they ultimate fundies that peaked through luck?

by Anonymousreply 360July 31, 2018 11:39 PM

Thank you. and I've read the same thing. There were no hot cups of coffee and all. Really great story though.

by Anonymousreply 361August 1, 2018 12:42 AM

George H. W. Bush has dementia now. It’s probably already too late to get anything interesting out of him now.

by Anonymousreply 362August 1, 2018 12:55 AM

There are a lot of mysteries about the Knights Templar. The order was founded in 1119 and was active until about 1312, almost two hundred years, so they went through a lot of changes and a lot of history over that period.

by Anonymousreply 363August 1, 2018 1:00 AM

MH 370, read somewhere yesterday that the head of the Malaysian aeronautical authority is stepping down--most likely because there was a change in government so a new crony wants to be installed. Anyway, the link had highlights of the Malaysian report and, imagine my surprise, the pilots were completely exonerated and there was no remote control device and I forget what else. I was in the middle of something and couldn't pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 364August 1, 2018 1:37 AM

Silkwood anyone?

by Anonymousreply 365August 1, 2018 2:29 AM

Trump is under the impression that he has all of the world leaders in his back pocket, especially Putin and Lil' Rocket Man.

Trump is too stupid to recognize the sound of laughter and snickering behind his back.

In the end, they'll be no one to support him except the "Trump Family Advisers."

by Anonymousreply 366August 1, 2018 4:37 AM

r355 The US Navy, particularly the Pacific Fleet, is a clusterfuck of epic proportions. They had a huge recent scandal they tried to pin one one bad actor, not least because they didn't want the whole rot exposed.

There is no way anything like that would ever be revealed by the military or the American government, except under extraordinary circumstances. We had a really informative poster who was former military who said the same thing in more detail.

by Anonymousreply 367August 1, 2018 1:11 PM

The ship's name was Mary Celeste, not Marie Celeste. A very young Arthur Conan Doyle started the confusion when he used Marie in a short story based on the incident but he played fast and loose with the facts.

The lifeboat story is no more likely nor more implausible than many other suggested solutions, including pirates, natural phenomena, the crew going mad, etc. The dangerous cargo resulting in fumes was alcohol.

Wikipedia's article is decent and as good a place to begin as any.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368August 1, 2018 6:30 PM

This is pretty recent, but the death of Jonathan Luna is a big mystery to me. The FBI even tried to push it was a suicide but they couldn't get away with it. No one wants to explain what happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369August 1, 2018 6:34 PM

What really happened in that DC townhouse the night Robert Wone was killed?

When and how did the Kimes mother and son grifters kill Irene Silverman and where/how did they get rid of her body? How many others did they kill in their career?

by Anonymousreply 370August 1, 2018 7:53 PM

The Wone case is utterly baffling.

by Anonymousreply 371August 1, 2018 9:41 PM

R371 - I agree! I don’t for a second believe Wone was a willing participant on “the dl” in some sex games that got out of hand - but what did happen, and what was the impetus? In some ways, this case reminds me of the Hitchcock flick “The Rope”, which itself was inspired by the Leopold and Loeb murders. Baffling is right!

Wonder where the others that were in that townhouse are now?

by Anonymousreply 372August 1, 2018 10:16 PM

Bump. This is such an interesting thread that has led to several google searches over the weeks.

by Anonymousreply 373August 3, 2018 11:50 AM

Yes r373, me too!

by Anonymousreply 374August 3, 2018 12:31 PM

There’s absolutely no way an intruder killed Robert Wone like the defendants said.

One or more of them killed him and then all were involved in the cover-up.

R372 Here you go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375August 3, 2018 12:32 PM

[quote]+1 for Johnny Gosh and The Franklin Cover-Up

Nick Bryant's book is required reading for anyone interested in the Franklin Cover Up. I definitely agree that there was more to the story that was purposely squashed.

by Anonymousreply 376August 3, 2018 1:44 PM

That Rackstraw guy was in his 20s back then, so he couldn't have been DB Cooper. Every eyewitness that night said that DB Cooper was a man who was clearly in his mid-late 40s.

by Anonymousreply 377August 3, 2018 2:06 PM

[quote]These were high anxiety partially or fully Italians.

Honest to god, I think some DLers are posting from a time loop from the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 378August 3, 2018 2:48 PM

This was the Queen Mother's mother, Cecilia Bowes-Lyon. The QM was basically the spitting image of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379August 3, 2018 3:08 PM

Bermuda Triangle mystery solved?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380August 3, 2018 3:10 PM

The all-but-forgotten KAL 007 (Digression: How many modern tragedies/terrorist acts involve the numbers 7, 9, and 11, since 11/22/63? Dates and airplane numbers, especially.).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381August 3, 2018 5:32 PM

The one man Queen Elizabeth I always seemed to come back to was Robert Dudley. Elizabeth kept Robert at her side at all times, especially early in her reign. Dudley lived at court but had a wife, Amy Robsart, whom he kept in the country, away from court. One day she was found dead at the bottom of a staircase. Elizabeth probably wouldn't have married Dudley anyway, but this incident tainted him and decreased his chances further. I don't think this will ever be definitively solved. Some theories that have been thrown out there include Elizabeth's advisor, William Cecil, having her offed in order to decrease Dudley's marriage prospects to Elizabeth, Dudley arranging to kill her in hopes of ridding himself of his wife to marry Elizabeth (most historians think this is unlikely), an accident, or suicide (what I think).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382August 3, 2018 7:04 PM

We might as well throw the Bisley Boy on the pile.

How do you suppose that mystery affects the mystery around Dudley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383August 3, 2018 8:22 PM

[QUOTE] R261 Sometimes I'm still surprised by the random shit that gets legs on the internet. The Queen Mother one is probably one of the best - Mary of Teck, an insufferable snob who made Queen Victoria look laid back, allowing a bastard in the first string of royalty? The nickname "cookie" was actually a dig at the fact the Lyons wing of her family was a grocery whizz who made a lot of money and married into old aristocracy due to them needing cash! This always rankled QE and was why she was a stickler for protocol when Bertie was alive.

The [BOLD]Bowes-Lyon[/BOLD] family had absolutely no connection to Joseph Lyons (the son of Nathaniel Lyons an itinerant vendor of cheap jewellery) who set up J. Lyons & Co with his relatives the Gluckstein's and the Salmon's. It eventually became the most successful mass catering company in the world at the time and established Lyons Corner Houses. The only famous cook to emerge from that empire was the daughter of Lyons heiress Vanessa Salmon - [BOLD]Nigella Lawson[/BOLD].

The 'Cookie' nickname for The Queen Mother came from Wallis & David (Edward VIII) because they said she looked like a 'Fat Scottish Cook' It was just cruel childish banter on their part.

Lady Colin Campbell invented a conspiracy to sell her book.

by Anonymousreply 384August 3, 2018 9:31 PM

The Bisley Boy (Elizabeth being replaced by a man) theory gets trotted out on some of those History's Mysteries type shows. I think it's nonsense for the reasons listed on the page at the link. Regarding Dudley: would he have stuck around for 20 years trying to convince Elizabeth to marry him if she were a man?

by Anonymousreply 385August 3, 2018 9:50 PM

Ok r384 I fell for an online fallacy. The current BRF are not as interesting as previous generations and it seemed plausible- the aristocracy are nearly always broke! I accept and wear my badge of ironic misadventure.

by Anonymousreply 386August 3, 2018 10:12 PM

Jean Spangler disappearance

by Anonymousreply 387August 4, 2018 2:35 AM

" Regarding Dudley: would he have stuck around for 20 years trying to convince Elizabeth to marry him if she were a man? "

Hey, Dudley was ambitious as they come! If he thought that he could marry his way onto the throne of England, he wouldn't have let a little thing like a dick stop him.

by Anonymousreply 388August 4, 2018 9:23 PM

Just ask Kirk Douglas. R387

by Anonymousreply 389August 4, 2018 9:31 PM

"Dear Kirk,...."

by Anonymousreply 390August 5, 2018 1:52 AM

Kirk - one nasty piece of work. And folks are none the wiser.

by Anonymousreply 391August 5, 2018 11:25 AM

R380 My dad was lifer in the Navy. He was not given to flights of fancy. He went thru the Bermuda triangle many times. He was of the opinion there was nothing odd there at all. Yet he admitted on 2occasions he had instrument failure for a brief time.

by Anonymousreply 392August 5, 2018 3:28 PM

R389 I am curious as to your thought process that kirk douglas did it. She was not a young girl that thought she loved him and would be running to the press. She was a pregnant hooker with ties to the mob. A couple hundred bucks she's gone for good. He could easily afford it.

On the other hand her ex husband who also had ties to the mob was very upset with how his daughter was being raised. She was also trying to shake him down for more money every month that he could not afford now that he was remarried.

The place she was going to when she disappeared was to meet up with her ex to get money from him.

Of course it was either Kirk or the ex so shes in a mob graveyard some where.

by Anonymousreply 393August 5, 2018 11:42 PM

R393, people suggested Douglas might be involved in Spangler's disappearance because she had just done a bit part in one of his films and because of a note found in her purse (she was never found but her purse was found in Griffith Park). The note was addressed to "Kirk" and said she couldn't wait any longer and was going to see a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 394August 6, 2018 12:34 PM

it seems obvious to me that while it would be delicious to put her murder/disappearance on Kirk's doorstep, she was probably killed by her ex or some of his cronies. It happens all the time. I worked with a woman who's daughter was murdered by her ex because she went to him to ask for money. He told her to meet him at some rental property he was looking at and they found her battered body two days later in the basement of that house. It was gross. Exes don't like getting pressured for money from pregnant hookers.

by Anonymousreply 395August 6, 2018 12:42 PM

^ Douglas changed his story to the press about Spangler, finally admitting he had met her on the set, after first denying it. One possible interpretation of the cryptic wording of the note addressed to "Kirk" found in her purse was that she was seeking an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 396August 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Kirk Douglas also called the police and told them that he wasn't the Kirk refered to in the note, even before the news about the note became public.

by Anonymousreply 397August 6, 2018 12:53 PM

R344, that’s interesting. Especially the bit about one bombing being announced three days early.

by Anonymousreply 398August 6, 2018 2:10 PM

What was the real story behind Bridey Murphy???

by Anonymousreply 399August 6, 2018 2:22 PM

[quote]What really happened in that DC townhouse the night Robert Wone was killed?

That murder case still fascinates me because of the revelations that came out about the townhouse residents.

by Anonymousreply 400August 11, 2018 3:35 AM

I discovered Datalounge because of the Wone case. I don't remember how I first heard of the case, but I followed it closely from early on and someone posting at the Who Murdered Robert Wone website mentioned that there was a long DL thread that seemed to have a few posters with inside knowledge. I came over to check it out. I had heard of DL but had never visited. I've been here since and have always regretted I wasn't here during DL's heyday.

by Anonymousreply 401August 11, 2018 3:52 AM

The Bisley Boy tho extremely unlikely to be true, could really have happened. All of the Children of Henry VIII spent their early years (and almost basically till they all acceded to the throne) in country manors/palaces, away from court. They were basically unknown in court, so a look alike supplanter could have happened, tho very unllikely as I said.

by Anonymousreply 402August 11, 2018 3:58 AM

R384, except i found that talk in 1997. Her mother was the cook. Bears no resemblance to the supposed mother

by Anonymousreply 403August 11, 2018 4:02 AM

The Queen Mother looks exactly like her mother. Maybe she was the illegitimate daughter of one of the elder daughters (or son) of Cecilia Bowes-Lyon, thus making her her granddaughter, but she surely is descended from her.

by Anonymousreply 404August 11, 2018 4:31 AM

R402 I also reject that theory out of hand. You're right, "extremely unlikely" is the best way to describe it. Elizabeth I was one of the most successful monarchs in modern history. They named an entire age after her. Since she remained single all her life, her success cannot justifiably be credited to any man ( though they try) so the rumors of her actually being a man sprouted up, because, "how could a mere woman achieve so much."

There are two royal mysteries that do fascinate me. One is the Princes in the Tower. Who killed them and what happened to their bodies? There was a clever plot twist in The White Queen, by Phillippa Gregory (I saw it on Showtime) which insisted that Elizabeth Woodville was able to spirit one of her sons out of the Tower and replace him with a street urchin, so he would survive.

The second Royal mystery is related to Alexandre Dumas' Man in the Iron Mask. Some people feel like it was based on a true story, and that King Louis XIV had an evil twin and was able to switch places with him. They claim there actually was a man in an iron mask imprisoned somewhere claiming the be king, and dismissed as insane.

by Anonymousreply 405August 11, 2018 2:16 PM

I'm always amazed by the short-sighted offerings a lot of posters add to some threads, and in particular concerning historical figures. Take, for example, Jackie Onassis - "whore," "slut," and "gold-digger" - and that's pretty much it as far as they're concerned. The truth, fact, and heart of the matter is always so much more complicated than that. These subjects deserve the benefit of intelligent opinion and debate.

Elizabeth I? For me, it's always been very simple as to the reason(s) she did not marry. I scoff at the notion that she was really a man. Ridiculous. So I ask how likely is it that YOU would marry if YOU were in her position - a woman who was an ABSOLUTE monarch of a rebellious nation (England defected from the strong-hold of Rome). Numerous attempts being made against her life as others insisted that she had no right to her throne (calling her a bastard). Would you trust ANYONE to become your spouse while you knew that so many coveted your extraordinary power? It must have played on her mind constantly that the man she married might be inclined to marry her, impregnate her, then kill her after a child was born of the union so that man could rule in the interests of that child. If he had no such designs on his own, then how likely is it that he could be persuaded to act accordingly for the interests of others. As I said, it always made perfect sense to me why she never married. Marriage dramatically increased the likelihood of her death (murder). Hell, it's even been suggested by some that she actually WAS murdered when her usefulness had served itself completely - that the die was cast to bring England and Scotland together under James, her only rightful heir.

As I say, there is always so, so much more to consider when discussing - well, ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 406August 11, 2018 2:34 PM

True, R406. With Elizabeth, everything you've pointed out is correct. In fact, IMO, one of the main reasons she never married is that she recognized that if she did marry she would in fact reduce England to a client of Spain or France who were both in the thrall of the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire. By remaining single she maintained England's independence.

by Anonymousreply 407August 11, 2018 3:05 PM

What did Jesus really do and say and who was Paul?

by Anonymousreply 408August 11, 2018 3:12 PM

Who stole from my credit card to wire 1000+ to one TRAVELGENIO.

by Anonymousreply 409August 11, 2018 3:27 PM

[quote]Mary Meyers publicly challenged the conclusions of the Warren Commission when they were released to the public. Three weeks later she was dead.

Leo Damore, the writer who wrote that book on Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick was working on a Mary Meyers book before his death. Damore's ex-wife and son claimed that the manuscript was missing.

by Anonymousreply 410August 11, 2018 4:06 PM

Get thee a Jeffersonian Bible, r408

by Anonymousreply 411August 11, 2018 4:09 PM

I love Jacqueline Kennedy. I just think she was class personified and she had substance. I cannot ever begin to imagine what it must have been lie for her to be riding in the car with her husband, and being "this close" when someone blew his brains out all over her beautiful pink suit. For the way she handled herself during those moments and throughout the days and weeks after, I will always love and admire her. And she raised two wonderful children. And she made some important contributions to our society and our culture. No one can ever say anything against her to me.

by Anonymousreply 412August 11, 2018 4:20 PM

R412 I agree with you on Jackie. Much better person than the current First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 413August 11, 2018 4:31 PM

The bum outside my local 7-11 is a much better person than our current FLOTUS [R413]

And, among all the reasons that Elizabeth I never married...um, she saw/knew how her father treated his wives, including beheading her own mother! Who wouldn't be afraid of marriage after that?

by Anonymousreply 414August 11, 2018 6:17 PM

Elizabeth I liked men, she was interested in several and probably had at least two affairs. If she didn't marry, it was entirely for political reasons, she couldn't marry without losing her power to her husband, and she just wasn't willing to give up The Divine Right of Kings.

And yeah, to say that she'd been replaced by a man was ridiculous, and shows a deep sexism. It's also ridiculous to say that such a replacement was possible because Henry's kids were raised out in the country, but who do you think was raising them out there? Top-level trusted courtiers, that's who, people who the monarch trusted not to pull any shit like that, and whose word that this was the king's child was accepted by all.

by Anonymousreply 415August 11, 2018 6:31 PM

Also, the death of women in childbirth was extremely high back then. Let´s see, by the time of Queen Elizabeth's accession several English Queens had died in childbirth: her stepmothers Jane Seymour, Katherine Parr, and her grandmother Elizabeth of York. More then 50% of Spanish queens died in childbirth. She wisely realized that if she were to die in childbirth, and either the baby survived (unlikely) or died itself (more likely) the country would have been plunged in absolute chaos and even civil war. The battle lines would have been drawn between the heirs of Margaret Tudor and Mary Tudor (sisters of Henry VIII). Heirs that were ALL female and thus could have been a repeat of the reign of her sis ter Mary I, were males were the ones who ruled in the name of the female.

by Anonymousreply 416August 11, 2018 6:53 PM

"Mrs. Kennedy wouldn't be caught DEAD in "pink!" The color of her suit was "raspberry."

by Anonymousreply 417August 11, 2018 6:57 PM

And regarding Louis XIV mysteries, I'm more interested in the Black Nun of Moret. Purported daughter of Louis XIV's wife Marie Therese. Was is known is that there existed a Black (or Blackish) nun and that she was visited by female members of the royal family and had a royal pension for life. Some connection must have existed there. The thing is that Queen Marie Therese being unfaithful was extremely unlikely, but possible. Another explanation is that she was indeed the daughter of both King and Queen but had a darker colouring, thus making her an embarassment and thus shipped to a nunery when a baby. (there was some Moorish blood in both the King and Queen's ancestors, which they shared as they were double cousins by blood).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418August 11, 2018 7:01 PM

I'm forgetting the details, but in regards to 9/11, I believe it was BBC or some other foreign news organization, reporting that one of the towers collapsed and fell a good 20 minutes before it actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 419August 24, 2018 7:56 PM

^He ain't one to gossip, so you ain't heard that from him! No you haven't! Mmm hmm

by Anonymousreply 420August 24, 2018 8:47 PM

The murder of Karyn Kupcinet is fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 16, 2018 12:06 AM

Websleuths has a big Springfield Three thread currently running. People are fascinated and baffled by that case.

by Anonymousreply 422September 16, 2018 2:13 AM

Love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 423September 16, 2018 5:27 AM

R418: The Black Nun of Moret eventually studied aerodynamics and learned how to fly. Her life was the inspiration for the Sister Bertrille character on "The Flying Nun."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424September 16, 2018 5:36 AM

This thread is creeping me out but I love it. There are a number of disappearances. The Beaumont Children for e.g. The Mary Celeste.

by Anonymousreply 425September 16, 2018 5:50 AM

This is a pretty good video about the murder of Mary Meyer.

Ben Bradley says that his wife (Toni), Mary's sister, gave the diary to the CIA guy who they knew and who they found searching her studio. Later it was returned to Toni, who, Bradley claims, destroyed it by burning it in the fireplace.

Watching this, clearly something was very suspicious about this whole series of events.

Watch Bradley's face at the 46:45 mark. When I first watched this I thought that he was not being truthful at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426September 16, 2018 5:58 AM

Bradford Bishop killed his whole family and his mother in the 70's in Bethesda, MD. Worked for the State Dept and the Foreign Service. Disappeared in NC and has never been caught. There have been sighting of him in Europe

by Anonymousreply 427September 16, 2018 1:20 PM

Are we going to do unsolved mysteries, crimes, etc or historical? Just asking. Yes I know there is some overlap. Definitely. But if this is an hitorical mysteries thread lets focus on that, m 'K ?

by Anonymousreply 428September 16, 2018 1:47 PM

Tamam Shud case

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429September 16, 2018 1:52 PM

R422 I occasionally read some of Web Sleuths threads. They have been covering the Springfield Three for years, but at one point they shut down threads because someone claimed they were psychic and having visions of the women.

by Anonymousreply 430September 16, 2018 2:07 PM

[quote]Also G.H.W Bush, head of the C.I.A being in Dallas for the JFK assassination, denying being there and proven to have been?

[quote]Come on kids. Somebody knows something.

Bush will never talk. Some people do think his connections to the assaination will be revealed after his death.

by Anonymousreply 431September 16, 2018 3:25 PM

r426 all of those people are elitist, establishment shills. Of course they gave it to the spook, they probably fucking called him over there.

by Anonymousreply 432September 16, 2018 3:44 PM

Concerning the JFK assassination, the thought that our own government took him out should be passe at this point. We should have moved onto the question of WHY by now. What precisely did he do? And from a citizenry standpoint, I'm not saying that whatever he did was a bad thing.....

by Anonymousreply 433September 16, 2018 3:49 PM

There are theories that LBJ took out JFK becaue he found out that JFK was planning to replace him as VP for the 1964 election. Penn Jones Jr pushed that theory quite a bit and had linked a lot of deceased people back to LBJ, George Smathers, and Bobby Baker.

by Anonymousreply 434September 16, 2018 4:03 PM

How did Ms. Keller know which notes to sing?

The world may never know . . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435September 16, 2018 4:05 PM

Helen’s cover of “Hoochie Coochie Man” was one for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 436September 17, 2018 5:22 AM

Bush was sworn in as head of the CIA in 1976. He didn't even enter politics until 1967.

by Anonymousreply 437September 17, 2018 5:50 AM

I've always believed it was the mafia who took out JFK plain and simple. He reneged on his agreement with them, and Bobby was relentlessly investigating them. It had everything to do with that. The mafia helped get JFK elected President through an unholy alliance set up by his father. In exchange they wanted Kennedy to go after Fidel Castro and get the communists out of Cuba.

They had a proprietary interest in Cuba and were losing a lot of money there. So they worked with the CIA contractors and tried to assassinate Fidel. It didn't work. They had the Bay of Pigs. It didn't work. It failed because Kennedy refused to give them air cover at the last minute. Then they had the 'stone in their shoe" of Bobby investigating them and he refused to back off, in spite of pressure he was getting from Hoover.

That's when one of them was famously quoted as "getting the head of the snake. You don't chop a snake in half because he just keeps coming. To kill a snake you chop off the head." The assassination I found bizarre was RFK's. To think that a Palestinian kitchen worker brought a gun to work to shoot him in LA was just too ironic. And yet that's what happened.

by Anonymousreply 438September 17, 2018 10:48 AM

One person who posted here said that the problem with the Mafia theory around JFK'S murder is that Jackie was there and the Mafia never would have chanced hitting a wife

by Anonymousreply 439September 17, 2018 2:51 PM

When discussing the JFK murder, you have to take into account all the other murders which coincided with his assassination. There were quite a few - you had the same thing happening with 9/11. Aside from Mary Pinchot Meyer and Dorothy Kilgallen, there were numerous other murders of individuals with an association. Witnesses, those who knew too much, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440September 17, 2018 7:22 PM

I believe the theory about LBJ having his sister Josefa murdered.

by Anonymousreply 441September 17, 2018 8:02 PM

Maybe the Mafia big shots would feel that way, but the guys they hired wouldn't give a fuck. and besides. Jackie wasn't hit. That was an incredibly 'clean' shot.

by Anonymousreply 442September 17, 2018 9:38 PM

Didn't Jackie's father have mafia ties?

by Anonymousreply 443September 17, 2018 10:35 PM

Jackie's father was a reclusive alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 444September 18, 2018 12:34 AM

Nope, not reclusive, but yeah, definitely alcoholic. I once read that Janet, his ex wife, sabotaged his walking Jackie down the aisle. Jackie was crazy about her father. Loved him to pieces. Wanted him to walk her down the aisle. So he showed up the day before, stone cold sober. Janet sent a couple bottle of scotch to his hotel room, and he passed out dead drunk, unable to walk her down the aisle. Has anyone else heard that? I know you'll correct me if I got it wrong....

R443, the only one I heard had mafia ties was Joe Kennedy, Sr. he was a bootlegger at one time.

by Anonymousreply 445September 18, 2018 3:10 AM

R445 I think relatives of Jackie confirmed that Janet sabotaged Black Jack Bouvier on the wedding day.

by Anonymousreply 446September 18, 2018 3:23 AM

There are conspiracy theories that JFK and RFK's murders were done as revenge acts to get back at Joe Sr for his mafia dealings and that Teddy was always worried the mafia would go after him and that Chappaquiddick was a set up to frame to Teddy.

by Anonymousreply 447September 18, 2018 3:32 AM

I'm not sure exactly how Janet would have done that. Black Jack Bouvier was a chronic, years-long alcoholic who died of alcohol related diseases.

At any rate, the most commonly told story about Black Jack and Jackie's wedding is that he showed up with just minutes to go so inebriated he was incoherent and could not stand unassisted. With seconds to go, her stepfather Hugh Auchincloss stepped in to walk her down the aisle. It was typical behavior for Black Jack at that point in his life.

by Anonymousreply 448September 18, 2018 3:34 AM

^ My point being that no one needed to sabotage or ruin Black Jack in his later years. You could count on him to do that himself.

by Anonymousreply 449September 18, 2018 5:24 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 450September 25, 2018 2:38 AM

Bump your ass back to Lipstick alley, dlisted and female first you geriatric nigga

by Anonymousreply 451September 25, 2018 3:42 AM

The Manchester (UK) Pusher: Does a serial killer haunt the city's canals?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452September 25, 2018 4:16 PM

by Anonymousreply 453September 25, 2018 5:22 PM

One that never gets discussed here and creeps me out a little is the disappearance of the Martin family from Portland, OR in December of 1958. The father, mother, and three daughters drove their car into the Columbia River Gorge nearby to get greenery for Christmas decorations, and then disappeared. Several months after their disappearance, the two younger daughters washed up, drowned, in the Columbia; the parents and the eldest daughter (and their car) have never been seen again.

The event occasioned the biggest investigation in Oregon's history. To this day, the police say they suspect foul play for multiple reasons; but nothing has ever been proven, and no chief suspect has emerged. I'm not sure what happened to Donald, the eldest child and the apparent only survivor, who was in the US Navy and stationed in NY at the time of the disappearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 25, 2019 5:01 AM

Who killed JonBenet? I just cannot figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 455March 7, 2020 11:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!