Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

3 Missouri Women Who Vanished 30 Years Ago Are Still Missing: 'I'll Never Give Up,' Says Mom

Suzie Streeter, Sherrill Levitt and Stacy McCall have never been found

June 6, 1992, was a joyous moment in Stacy McCall’s life. That day, the 18-year-old graduated from Kickapoo High School in Springfield, Missouri, before going to parties that evening.

Before she left home for the night, she told her mom she was running late and would call her later, when she knew her exact plan.

“We both said, ‘I love you,'” her mom, Janis McCall, tells PEOPLE in this week’s issue.

That exchange, more than 27 years ago, marked the last time Janis ever saw her daughter.

After a night out, Stacy and her friend Suzie Streeter, 19, went back to the home Suzie shared with her mother, Sherrill Levitt, 47.

The next morning, Suzie and Stacy had plans to go to a water park with other friends. But the friends never heard from them, and after Janis couldn’t reach her daughter, she drove to Suzie and Sherill’s home hoping to find her.

Stacy’s car was parked outside, but no one answered the door. After opening the unlocked door, she walked into an empty house. The television was on and the three women’s purses sat lined up, opened on the floor. Stacy’s clothes from the night before were folded neatly in a bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 18, 2021 8:28 AM

The trio is still missing, and the unsolved case of the so-called “Springfield Three” is explored in the season premiere of People Magazine Investigates on Investigation Discovery, airing Nov. 4 at 10 p.m.

To this day, the case brings in several leads a week, according to the Springfield Police Department.

“Whoever is responsible for this can’t take back what happened, but they can help bring some closure to the families while they’re still alive,” Officer Rick Bookout tells PEOPLE.

by Anonymousreply 1October 28, 2019 8:54 PM

In the immediate aftermath of the disappearances, Janis made missing persons posters, went on radio stations, talked to the media, put up billboards and helped raise $100,000 for a reward fund. Her husband, Stu, canvassed the city looking for Stacy, and the case was featured on America’s Most Wanted.

The number of tips skyrocketed because of the publicity, and the FBI was called in to help local police.

“I thought they would be home right away,” says Janis, now 71. “I was angry we couldn’t find her.”

A day doesn’t go by that their families don’t miss Stacy, Sherill, and Suzie and wonder what befell them.

Sherill’s sister had Sherill and Suzie declared dead in 1997. But Janis McCall says she her husband Stu will never stop looking for Stacy, who would now be 45.

“There’s not a word called closure in the dictionary for families missing someone,” says Janis. “My baby is gone. We want some justice.”

People Magazine Investigates: The Springfield Three airs Monday, Nov. 4 at 10 p.m. on Investigation Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2019 8:55 PM

Either Sherill Lovitts ex husband or ex boyfriend killed them all. Poor Stacy was in the wrong place at the wrong time

by Anonymousreply 3October 28, 2019 9:08 PM

Her exes had alibis.

by Anonymousreply 4October 28, 2019 9:15 PM

I bet they all like Wilson Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 5October 28, 2019 9:31 PM

*liked

by Anonymousreply 6October 28, 2019 9:31 PM

It was a jealous ex or drug-related. These kinds of disappearances nearly always are.

by Anonymousreply 7October 28, 2019 9:52 PM

My sister is one of those weirdos that loves true crime and unsolved mysteries and she told me about this case. IIRC the girls weren't supposed to be in the house that night, so I think Sherrill Levitt was the intended target.

by Anonymousreply 8October 28, 2019 10:14 PM

This wasn't about money. Sherrill had $800 in her purse that was untouched. There were two phone calls made to the house after the women disappeared. Stacey's mom erased the messages because they were obscene. I think someone was stalking Sherrill and Susy.

by Anonymousreply 9October 28, 2019 10:46 PM

The episode is here.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2019 4:02 AM

The Springfield Three?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2019 4:17 AM

There was a serial killer long suspected to have abducted the women at gunpoint. Can't recall his name right now. Crime of opportunity, I bet.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2019 4:22 AM

I first came upon this case a few years ago.

I assume this was a case of someone, or several individuals in the house being targeted by someone they knew, or someone that they were acquainted with loosely.

Anyhow, fun fact: Springfield, MS had a sustained uptick at one point, of criminal activity that narrowed into sex crimes against children. Lots of human trafficking and consumption, and production of CP, as well. I came across that info when reviewing this case.

I’m not sure exactly where I read that, but it was on some database centric site, where stats were published, like the FBI site or Missing and Exploited Children site. I recall being surprised at the numbers, because I always thought it was a pretty safe place to live.

Unless these 2 girls and woman left on their own volition, deciding to disappear for reasons unknown, they’re sadly, most likely expired.

Question: is Springfield near major highways that are common routes for long distance truck drivers?

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2019 11:10 AM

Sad

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2019 11:21 AM

Maybe they were sensible ladies who just wanted to get the hell out of that shithole state of Missouri and never wanted to return.

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2019 11:22 AM

R15, No-that makes no sense- the friend not related was headed to college, ect- The women were not planning some escape from shitty Missouri.

It sounded like the hairdresser mother and daughter had some iffy connections and the mom was the target. Also, didn't the daughter have to testify in some court case coming up?

The girlfriend sounded a little more "upper class" and may have very well gotten out of Missouri in other ways

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2019 11:46 AM

Yes R13, in fact there are (or used to be) several big trucking companies with large central locations or even headquarters in Springfield. Highway 44 goes through there east-west, and 65 is a big road going north-south because it heads to Branson and can have heavy traffic. It used to be a big Route 66 hub but I think that dwindled well before 1992.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2019 12:01 PM

"Anyhow, fun fact: Springfield, MS."

Another fun fact: It's Springfield MO, idiot. MS is the abbreviation for Mississippi.

R13 types will scream about how awful the USPS is, when the reality is mail is misdirected because people are too stupid to address an envelope correctly.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2019 12:11 PM

The two girls were headed to Branson the next day to some water park. Obviously, they never made it.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2019 12:14 PM

[quote]I assume this was a case of someone, or several individuals in the house being targeted by someone they knew, or someone that they were acquainted with loosely.

I agree. There is no woman on Earth (or man, for that matter) who would open the door for some random stranger knocking on the door in the middle of the night. Most people would be terrified and immediately call the police. It was probably someone who was known to at least one of the women, even if only casually, and trusted enough that they would open the door. There was no forced entry and no signs of struggle.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2019 1:52 PM

The glass globe over the door light had been shattered.I think someone heard the sound of it breaking. They opened the door to see what was going on and the perp pushed his way in.

by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2019 1:59 PM

Kidnapped and murdered, long gone. Someone who knew them did it and whatever that town is like, stay the fuck out of it.

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2019 2:01 PM

Yes, they were all probably dead before anyone even realized something was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2019 2:10 PM

The mother of one of the girls erased evidence because it was obscene? Could she be any stupider?

by Anonymousreply 24November 5, 2019 2:23 PM

R18, really? The reason the mail is misdirected is because everyone except you is too stupid to know the proper abbreviations?

Every damn week I have my neighbor's properly-addressed mail in my mailbox and vice versa-- large checks from clients have been "lost" three times in ten years (I can see they issued the check; it never arrives or arrives weeks late). My post office uses Joe Slob private contractors (are you one of those?) to deliver the mail and I guarantee these dummies don't know state abbreviations. I don't know how they're literate enough to pass a driving test.

Twenty years ago I would have never trashed the post office. It was different when the carriers were federal employees assigned to one route. You had the same mail carrier for years. Now I see a different driver (because that's pretty much all they are) every week.

What about Joe Slob contract mail carrier throwing bags of mail in the ditch because it's too much work, or taking trash bags full of mail home?

by Anonymousreply 25November 5, 2019 2:25 PM

At the time Stacey's mother didn't know the women had been kidnapped.

by Anonymousreply 26November 5, 2019 2:38 PM

I had wealthy uppity family members who lived in Springfield- all the kids were super intelligent, went to private schools, country club, ect-

I had never visited there so I figured it was a lovely town when I was a kid..

Sounds like Springfield is a shithole!

by Anonymousreply 27November 5, 2019 2:53 PM

I believe there are sex slaves tied-up in basements, etc. all over the U.S.

I'm all for micro-chipping people, to track both victims and perpetrators.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2019 2:55 PM

Springfield is a college town but there is a lot of crime. Highway 60 runs through there which makes it ideal for trafficking.

by Anonymousreply 29November 5, 2019 2:58 PM

R29- Is Springfield pretty in parts or just ugly??

by Anonymousreply 30November 5, 2019 3:00 PM

The Ozarks are beautiful. The people less so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2019 3:07 PM

The cost of living is relatively good compared with other mid-sized cities. You can buy a lovely home for little money. Enjoy the forests and the lakes and never have to think about the meth and homelessness that surrounds you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 5, 2019 3:11 PM

Get over it, R18. I hadn’t even had my cup of Joe, yet.

by Anonymousreply 33November 5, 2019 5:34 PM

Springfield itself is ugly, but the outskirts and the countryside around it are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2019 5:42 PM

They know who did this. They are buried and it's too expensive to dig them up.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2019 5:56 PM

I have vague memories that they were buried under a car park or mall or something but like R35 said, it would have been too expensive to dig them up. Don't remember any rumours that they knew who had done it though.

by Anonymousreply 36November 5, 2019 7:04 PM

Was this the case where a message from the answering machine was mysteriously deleted?

by Anonymousreply 37November 5, 2019 7:14 PM

R37, yes. I remember hearing that it was one of those machines that deleted the message right after you listen to it.

Although the woman who went into the house sounds a bit dim. She cleaned the house while she was there looking around, and probably destroyed evidence.

by Anonymousreply 38November 5, 2019 7:42 PM

Hmm. Didn't the mother (the not dead one) have a life insurance policy on her daughter?

by Anonymousreply 39November 5, 2019 7:44 PM

Life insurance doesn't pay out unless the person is dead. Stacey 's mom never had her declared dead.

by Anonymousreply 40November 5, 2019 7:48 PM

*Did (not didn't)

by Anonymousreply 41November 5, 2019 7:59 PM

I wonder if any of the victims knew Brad Pitt? He was originally from Soringfiekd and went to Kickapoo High Dvhiol.

by Anonymousreply 42November 5, 2019 9:35 PM

‘This breaking news just in, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!’

by Anonymousreply 43November 5, 2019 9:39 PM

[Quote] He was originally from Soringfiekd and went to Kickapoo High Dvhiol.

That sounds more like Brad Pitt was from St. Olaf.

by Anonymousreply 44November 5, 2019 9:58 PM

This was not a random crime of opportunity, it was meticulously planned. I think the unsavory people Suzie hung around was the reason why this happened. It was feared she "knew things" about illegal shit going on in Springfield and she needed to be silenced. Stacy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This wasn't mentioned on the show, but people in the neighborhood saw a white van cruising the neighborhood in the three weeks leading up to the abduction, and the people who worked in the office building directly across the street from the house also saw a white van parked in the building's parking lot. When the women disappeared, so did the van.

Really creepy shit.

by Anonymousreply 45November 5, 2019 10:02 PM

There was no way someone planned for Suzie and Stacey to be there. It was a last minute decision to stay at Suzie's house. They couldn't stay with Janice because there was nowhere to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 46November 5, 2019 10:09 PM

It's possible the kidnapper(s) just assumed that Suzie would be at the house that night, just like she would any other night, and didn't have any knowledge of the original plans.

It is very odd that the kidnapper(s) still went through with it when there was a third, unknown car in the driveway. Perhaps they were watching the house when the girls arrived so they knew exactly who was in the house.

It's such a baffling case. My theory is that whoever did it is an unknown entity, someone who's never been on anybody's radar.

by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2019 10:19 PM

r38, the show last night said that as many as 10 people walked through the house before the police got a chance to get there and put tape up.

Who knows how much evidence was accidentally destroyed or corrupted.

by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2019 1:57 AM

I always thought it was odd that alarm bells didn't go off right away, because all of the womens' personal belongings were still in the house. Where the hell were they going to go without their keys, wallets, purses, money etc.? Sherril and Suzie smoked constantly, and their cigarettes and lighters were left behind. Have you ever known a person who smokes like a chimney? They won't leave the house for five minutes without their cigarettes. That always struck me as strange, that nobody began to think that something was very wrong as soon as they saw that.

by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2019 2:26 AM

If they graduated in 1992 they would have been way behind Brad Pitt, who graduated a decade earlier. Even his youngest sister would have been out of high school before these two girls were freshmen.

The girls made last-minute plans to stay over like others have already mentioned before, so if Suzie was the target then the girls were collateral. But for all we know some high school psycho fearing that he wouldn't see either of the girls again now that they'd graduated might have followed them to the house.

Whoever did it probably is in jail or at least has served time for other crimes. Without DNA evidence though we'll probably never know what happened.

by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2019 10:20 AM

"Anyhow, fun fact: Springfield, MS had a sustained uptick at one point, of criminal activity that narrowed into sex crimes against children. Lots of human trafficking and consumption, and production of CP, as well. I came across that info when reviewing this case. I’m not sure exactly where I read that, but it was on some database centric site, where stats were published, like the FBI site or Missing and Exploited Children site. I recall being surprised at the numbers, because I always thought it was a pretty safe place to live. "

I wonder why that is. I took a Sociology class in college call "Social Problems" and the professor explained that places become "hubs" for human trafficking for specific reasons, like an international airport with lots of connecting flights (Atlanta, GA) , or lots of kids runaway to there (Panama City, FL), or there's already a thriving sex industry (Las Vegas, NV), but I can't think of any reason for Springfield, MO to be a hotspot for human trafficking.

by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2019 5:06 PM

[Quote] I can't think of any reason for Springfield, MO to be a hotspot for human trafficking.

Runaway fans of The Simpsons?

by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2019 5:10 PM

Several major highways run through Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2019 5:49 PM

This is one case where there are nothing but questions, and no leads or evidence whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2019 4:05 AM

Wasn't Springfield a major stolen car hub back in the 1980s because of all the highways?

As for the obscene phone calls I'm sure even in 1992 the cops could have gotten a list of all numbers that called over the last 48 hours or so, so they probably know where the obscene phone calls came from.

by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2019 4:10 AM

The women's purses were lined up on the steps leading down into Suzie's room. Nothing was taken from them. The perp may have told the women it was a robbery and if they complied nobody would be hurt. This was a ruse that BTK used.

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2019 7:35 AM

The phone calls could have led back to a pay phone.

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2019 7:41 AM

"The Springfield Three" and "The Keddie Murders" are two of DL's most beloved unsolved cases! Every once in a while they are revived in a new thread which contributes new clues and observances.

What happened to that parking garage (I think it was near a hospital?) It was being built when the three disappeared, and not too long ago they used some kind of sonar and a cadaver dog, and both indicated there was something in the cement. I know the city was blaring at the idea of paying to have that part of the garage torn up. Did nothing ever happen with it?

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2019 8:01 AM

The parking garage theory was based on a tip from a psychic who used to post on Websleuths. He said Stacey McCall told him this in a vision. He's also the one who claimed there were anomalies in the cement. Which explains why Cox Hospital won't dig up their parking garage. It's a load of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2019 8:09 AM

Watched the show last night and there weren’t obscene messages left - there were two obscene calls when the friend went to the house and she hung up both times. Her boyfriend is also the one who cleaned up the glass outside the door.

My theory is that someone saw the girls and followed them home. They were out at 2:30 am and that might explain why someone would take the risk when they saw that many cars - they knew that they were 2 younger girls that they could overpower.

That potential serial killer was finally arrested and is spending life in prison for aggravated robbery for holding a 12 year old girl at gun point, so perhaps he did the same to the women - hence the lined up purses. They said that he says he won’t say anything about the women until his mother dies.

by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2019 8:38 PM

Nobody knows exactly when the girls arrived. After leaving Janice's house they could have stopped at a convenience store or gotten something to eat. That might be when the perp spotted them.

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2019 8:45 PM

But wouldn't a perp assume there was a man in the house?

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2019 8:47 PM

Not if he was peeking through windows. The blinds in Suzie's room were slightly parted as if someone had been looking outside. Maybe they heard something suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2019 8:49 PM

There were no signs of a struggle in the house?

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2019 8:51 PM

No signs of a struggle, no forced entry, and the neighbors heard nothing. So bizarre. How do three physically fit adult women get taken against their will without a struggle? And we know they were taken, their purses, wallets, keys and cigarettes were left in the house.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2019 8:53 PM

Some of people who had gathered at the home decided to tidy up because they didn't want Sherrill coming home to a messy house. They didn't know it was a crime scene.

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2019 8:55 PM

I wonder if the perp was someone who knew them and concocted a story that someone they cared about was in hospital after an accident. Perhaps all three left with him (most likely a him) voluntarily.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2019 8:59 PM

Abducting three women is easier than you would think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2019 8:59 PM

I think we all have to remember the time this happened. It was before all the crime shows we have now - Discovery ID, Forensic Files, SVU, CSI etc. It was also before the OJ Simpson trial, when DNA really entered the public consciousness. In 2019, we are a lot more aware of crime scenes and suspicious behavior but way back in 1992 that wasn't really a thing yet.

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2019 9:00 PM

[quote] wonder if the perp was someone who knew them and concocted a story that someone they cared about was in hospital after an accident. Perhaps all three left with him (most likely a him) voluntarily.

As has been said before, two chain-smokers are not going to leave their cigarettes behind, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2019 9:00 PM

The mysterious telephone calls to the Levitt home - ** While Janelle Kirby and her boyfriend searched the Levitt home, the phone rang twice. Both times Janelle picked it up, and reported that an unknown male caller made "sexual innuendos" before she hung up on him. Later on, another call was made to the Levitt house, leaving a message. That afternoon, McCall's mother Janis, searching for her daughter in the house, saw there was a message and played the message. She said it was a "strange message" but nothing else. By playing the message, she inadvertently erased it, as answering machines often self-deleted after playing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2019 9:05 PM

It was a "Murder on the Orient Express" situation. All these "helpful" motherfuckers were in on the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2019 9:08 PM

I think this case resonates with people because it's everybody's worst nightmare - you can live in a safe, quiet neighborhood where nothing ever happens and bad shit can still happen to you.

by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2019 9:11 PM

It's either someone they know or a neighbor. And as for the ex having an alibi, a lot of cold cases are solved when the alibi witness admits they were lying all those years ago

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2019 9:21 PM

This is crazy! I went to school with Suzy Streeter! Graduated from Kickapoo High School in 1991. Did not know the other girls, or even really anything much about Suzy. I just remember that, in the classes we had together, I really savored the alliteration of her name when they called it out for attendance. And she was really, really pretty!

I can't believe I never heard about this awful tragedy. Sounds like this all happened the year after we graduated. I moved away for college after graduation and didn't keep up with the wherabouts of my class. There was no Facebook or even email. No cell phones. I just never heard.

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2019 10:25 PM

It happened on graduation night.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2019 10:29 PM

"Kickapoo High School?"

Sounds like an institute of higher learning straight out of a DataLounge thread!

by Anonymousreply 77November 7, 2019 10:36 PM

R76 It happened on Stacy McCall's graduation night, 1992. Suzy (and myself) graduated the year before, in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 78November 7, 2019 10:46 PM

Streeter and McCall graduated from Kickapoo High School on June 6, 1992. They were last seen at around 2:00 a.m. on June 7, when they were leaving the last of the few graduation parties they had attended that evening. At some point during the night, they were also seen in Battlefield. The pair planned to spend the night at their friend Janelle Kirby's house, but when they decided Kirby's house was too crowded, they instead left to go to Streeter's (and thus Levitt's) home at 1717 East Delmar Street to retire for the night. It is assumed they arrived, because their clothing, jewelry, purses and vehicles were all present at the house the next day. Levitt was last heard from at approximately 11:15 p.m. on June 6 when she spoke with a friend on the phone about painting an armoire. The alleged timeline of the three is suspected to be convoluted, as the friends who last saw the girls the previous evening were also the first to arrive at the Levitt home the next day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 7, 2019 10:49 PM

Hmm. But Suzy was in some of my classes. Well I guess actually you can have mixed grades in, like a math class or a language class. But it says she was 19 when she went missing and Stacy was 18. And typically you are 18 when you graduate, not 19.

I wonder if she got held back a year or something?

It's all moot now... Very very sad.

by Anonymousreply 80November 7, 2019 10:53 PM

I stand corrected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 7, 2019 10:55 PM

Whatever the details were of exactly what went down, we all know what ultimately happened to them. I can't even imagine how terrifying that must've been.

I really hope this case can be solved somehow, and the guilty party (or parties) brought to justice, if they're still alive.

by Anonymousreply 82November 7, 2019 10:59 PM

I hate that this happens to anyone. Is there anything more awful a person could experience? Just awful. Not fair. And the poor relatives.

by Anonymousreply 83November 7, 2019 11:00 PM

It always fascinates me the small decisions we make can have life changing consequences. If the girls had stayed at Janelle's would Sherrill have been abducted? Would they still be living their lives unaware of the fate they narrowly avoided?

by Anonymousreply 84November 7, 2019 11:04 PM

I wonder if the mother was killed (or tied up or something) first, before the two girls arrived? That would make sense as far as how the killer managed to overcome three women.

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2019 12:50 AM

There was evidence the girls arrived safely, removed their make-up, and got ready for bed.

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2019 12:53 AM

Maybe they scissored themselves into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]there were two obscene calls when the friend went to the house and she hung up both times

That's hardly a coincidence, someone involved must have been watching the house after the women were kidnapped. They probably didn't go in because the friend's boyfriend was with her.

This article mentions a friend of Suzie's noticing she parked on the street instead of in the carport, making him wonder if there was already a car parked there when she and Stacy arrived after the party.

Typical of idiot Midwesterners the cops saw a book about "Satanic things" on the shelf and decided the family was sketchy. But Suzie's boyfriend stealing gold teeth out of graves is 100% a hillbilly thing, not a "Satanic" thing, that's just ridiculous. What kind of sheriff in southern Missouri doesn't recognize hillbilly when he sees it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2019 10:01 AM

1717 East Delmar. On Google maps there are office buildings across the street and right next door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2019 4:44 PM

The room with sliding glass doors was Suzie's bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2019 4:45 PM

The ID Discovery series "Disappeared" aired an episode on this case several years ago. Their coverage made it sound as though the women were buried under a nearby hospital parking garage, which was under construction around the time they went missing. I cannot remember the exact details of the episode, but I recall they had traced some connection to a man who had some affiliation with the hospital. They did GPR scans of the garage and apparently found three human-sized anomalies, but the hospital refused to excavate the structure as it would cost too much money. That was the last thing I'd heard about it. It is a truly perplexing, bizarre case.

by Anonymousreply 91November 9, 2019 2:46 AM

I don't know about the hospital garage theory. Why would someone dispose of three bodies at a hospital, of all places? A very well-lit, heavily trafficked area 24/7, the risk of being seen would be very high. Bodies are usually dumped or buried in isolated locations.

by Anonymousreply 92November 9, 2019 2:49 AM

R92 it was under development at the time and from the way the documentary made it seem, it was plausible that someone could have snuck into the construction site and concealed the bodies in the foundation. Since it was a construction site, it probably was not well-lit in the middle of the night. I'm not sure I necessarily believe it, but it seems possible (although, in this case, almost anything does).

by Anonymousreply 93November 9, 2019 2:53 AM

My theory is that the women were loaded into a van at gunpoint, possibly by two perps and not just one perp. Then they were taken to some kind of private residence that was secluded or semi-secluded (no neighbors close by) somewhere in the Springfield area. It goes without saying what happened next. The bodies were buried on the property or somewhere adjacent to the property. If only the location where the women were taken to were known, this case could be solved.

I think wherever the place was where the women were taken, it was within the Springfield city limits or just outside the city limits. It wasn't very far away.

by Anonymousreply 94November 9, 2019 3:00 AM

So was one of the women involved with crime?

by Anonymousreply 95November 9, 2019 3:03 AM

Maybe the girls tried to sneak a couple of guys through the sliding glass doors and things went bad.

by Anonymousreply 96November 9, 2019 4:30 AM

r91, I remember watching that episode on TV. They seemed pretty certain that the bodies were buried underneath the hospital parking garage. At the time of the disappearances, that location was an empty lot. The parking garage was built one year later.

by Anonymousreply 97November 9, 2019 7:01 AM

[quote]it was under development at the time

The parking lot wasn't under construction until September 1993, over a year after the women disappeared. It's not likely that the women were held for a year and then dumped there.

by Anonymousreply 98November 9, 2019 9:04 AM

Honestly there's so much about this case we don't know that the police must. They have to know the phone numbers where the obscene phone calls originated (even if it was a pay phone), and they have to have a better description than the vague ones we've gotten. Stacy's mother probably remembered more about the call than she's said publicly, probably to preserve evidence.

Also in looking this case up I discovered there was a man named Steven Garrison who said he knew who committed the murders and who led police to a farm, and while bodies weren't found there, items of interest to the case were. We don't know much of anything about that, either.

by Anonymousreply 99November 9, 2019 9:11 AM

I don't think Suzie's ex-bf and his two friends (who robbed the graves with him) did it. This crime was way too clean for teenagers, imho. It was done by someone who was older, had been involved in criminal activity for some time and knew exactly what he was doing.

by Anonymousreply 100November 10, 2019 3:23 AM

The Golden State Killer and BTK were both caught after decades, so it’s not impossible that the Springfield Three case can still be solved.

by Anonymousreply 101November 10, 2019 5:08 AM

Not unless someone confesses. They don't have any physical evidence in this case.

by Anonymousreply 102November 10, 2019 5:16 AM

[quote]That day, the 18-year-old graduated from [bold]Kickapoo High School [/bold]in Springfield, Missouri, before going to parties that evening.

I’d give anything to have Kickapoo High School on my resume!

by Anonymousreply 103November 10, 2019 5:34 AM

Named for the Kickapoo tribe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 10, 2019 5:42 AM

This case and the Texas Yoghurt Shop murders really get to me. Similarly, the case where the Mum and two daughters from a farm were on holiday in Miami or somewhere beachy and murdered absolutely horribly on a boat ride a stranger offered them. That case was solved though. But it was horrific.

by Anonymousreply 105November 10, 2019 5:59 AM

Somebody has to know something.

by Anonymousreply 106November 10, 2019 2:05 PM

I hope the person responsible confesses while the women’s families are still alive. It took a confession to solve the murder of Kari Lynn Nixon, who disappeared without a trace a short distance from home while running an errand for her father.

In the months and years after she went missing, numerous people recounted meeting her throughout the United States, and there was even a potential sighting of her in the audience of a New Kids on the Block concert.

Tragically, it turned out that she was raped and murdered by Robert Anthony Jones the night she went missing. He buried her on his parents’ property, only a few miles from her family home.

by Anonymousreply 107November 10, 2019 2:37 PM

Somebody they knew got them to open that door in the middle of the night. Who in in the world would ever open the door at 3am for a strange man they've never seen before?

by Anonymousreply 108November 10, 2019 11:09 PM

R98 that actually serves as further evidence for the possibility that they in fact were buried there, though. If the parking lot wasn't under construction until a year later, then that means it was an unoccupied patch of land at the time they disappeared—which is a better place to dispose of a body than an active construction site. They could have been buried on that land, which was subsequently covered in asphalt for the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 109November 10, 2019 11:17 PM

R103 I have it on my resume! (As does Brad Pitt.) It was a good high school. Considered the best of the five public high schools in Springfield when I was a student from 87-91. Fun fact, my drama teacher at Kickapoo was very much like Corky St. Clair in "Waiting for Guffman" including having lived in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2019 6:24 AM

Kim Crosby is also a Kickapoo alumni.

by Anonymousreply 111November 11, 2019 6:31 AM

R111 Damn, you are correct! She is older than Brad but he might have been a freshman when she was a senior. Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 112November 11, 2019 6:37 AM

No, R109, the bodies were supposedly found via sonar in the concrete itself, in a support column that wasn't even poured until over a year after the women disappeared. The anomalies that might be bodies weren't found under the garage.

This is pretty basic information and I suggest you actually look some stuff up first before going on at length about how you're right when you're actually way off the mark.

by Anonymousreply 113November 11, 2019 9:58 AM

He wasn't claiming he was right, he was just positing a theory, r113.

by Anonymousreply 114November 11, 2019 8:19 PM

By god, you'd think I pissed in R113's Cheerios. For the record, I based my post on the Disappeared documentary, and a couple of articles I've read. Pardon me for not having completed my dissertation on the subject. Also, I've found no shred of documentation that specified the women may have been buried beneath a support beam; the articles I've read merely stated that it was suspected they had been concealed under the garage.

by Anonymousreply 115November 12, 2019 1:10 AM

Why bury them in a parking garage when Springfield is surrounded by vast acres of forests?

by Anonymousreply 116November 12, 2019 7:22 AM

Look, we were nowhere in the neighborhood that whole month, ok?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117November 12, 2019 7:39 AM

D E A D .

by Anonymousreply 118November 12, 2019 9:30 AM

This is a relatively decent website that has a photo of the area of the parking garage and a picture of the sonar scan that supposedly detected anomalies.

It says that the sonar detected these anomalies three feet under the cement, and from the photo you can see it's under or in the column pictured.

The thing is, the area wasn't an empty lot prior to the parking garage, it was developed land already owned by Cox South since 1981 with the original building finished in 1985 and a lot already there, just not a multi-level parking lot. It's right off South National in Springfield which is a busy street and it's not isolated, and wouldn't have been isolated at all when the women disappeared, and there isn't any indication that the old lot was already being torn up in June of 1992 when the women disappeared.

The new parking lot didn't even start construction until September 1993. Whether in the concrete or under the concrete, it's not likely the women were there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 12, 2019 12:05 PM

This is a pretty good timeline which shows that in August 1993 a farm was searched and items of interest were found, but we don't know what they were.

A different farm south of Cassville in 2003 was also searched, but again nothing substantial was found.

The big thing that hasn't been mentioned on this thread (as far as I can tell) is that Robert Cox, convicted murderer, was working at a business owned by Stacy's father when the women went missing. The woman who gave him an alibi for the night the three women disappeared later recanted it, and Cox claims to know something about the missing women but won't say what it is until his mother passes away.

It's possible that he's just milking this for attention but it's an interesting angle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 12, 2019 12:11 PM

The Ozark’s ass backs up all the way up to Springfield’s dick?

by Anonymousreply 121November 13, 2019 9:11 AM

Maybe the mother kidnapped the two girls for some reason, and they are living in disguise somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 122November 13, 2019 12:09 PM

Yeah R121, Springfield keep encroaching on tiny towns around it (one of which is actually called Ozark) but right outside the limits it's almost immediately just empty Shepherd of the Hills country.

by Anonymousreply 123November 13, 2019 4:15 PM

The bodies were probably buried on some remote undeveloped piece of land and will never be found.

I think if this happened today, it would've been solved quickly. An emergency text would've been sent, the vehicle used to abduct the women would've been caught on traffic cameras, and so on. Technology has changed so much since '92.

by Anonymousreply 124November 13, 2019 4:19 PM

A year earlier Angela Hammond was abducted from a phone booth in Clinton,MO. It's an hour and a half away from Springfield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 13, 2019 5:35 PM

Perhaps it's like "Picnic at Hanging Rock," and they all slipped into another dimension?

by Anonymousreply 126November 13, 2019 6:54 PM

The gals at MY FAVORITE MURDER run down the case at 55:00 mark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127November 14, 2019 4:36 AM

^^ actually, sorry, they don't really go into much detail about the Springfield ladies when they outline it.

But they do do a "deeper dive" on the gay Amish serial killer @ the 27:00 mark, which is interesting!

by Anonymousreply 128November 14, 2019 2:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 21, 2019 8:48 AM

Oh wow I didn't realize Bartt (Suzie's brother and Sherryll's son) was arrested for trying to kidnap a girl. The article I read earlier just said public intoxication.

[quote]A man related to two of the missing women in Springfield's infamous Three Missing Women case was arrested last month for allegedly trying take a teenager from a Tennessee nail salon.

[quote]Bartt Streeter, 54, was arrested Feb. 28 on suspicion of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and attempted false imprisonment, according to the Smyrna (Tennessee) Police Department. Streeter is the brother of Suzie Streeter and son of Sherrill Levitt.

He would have been 27 at the time they disappeared. But what would be the motive?

by Anonymousreply 130November 21, 2019 10:19 AM

[quote]Police say Bartt Streeter was arrested Feb. 28 on suspicion of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and attempted false imprisonment after an incident at a nail salon in Smyrna, Tennessee.

[quote]A Smyrna police spokesman said Bartt Streeter is accused of walking into the business and claiming to be the grandfather of a 15-year-old girl at the salon whom he was there to pick up.

[quote]The teen did not know Bartt Streeter and did not go with him, according to police.

[quote]...The News-Leader reported in 1992 that Bartt Streeter had been eliminated as a primary suspect in the Three Missing Women case after he was questioned and polygraphed.

This follow-up article has a statement from the Streeter family saying he wasn't trying to kidnap the girl at all and everything has been blown out of proportion. They sound really freaked out that Bartt is now being seen by the public as a potential suspect.

[quote]A statement emailed to the News-Leader on Wednesday that is attributed to the Streeter family and posted on the Streeter Family Blogg says Bartt Streeter did not try to take the girl, but rather asked if the girl was the granddaughter of a woman in the lobby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 21, 2019 10:23 AM

Where was Britain's Prince Andrew during all of this? Shady crap about him's been surfacing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132November 21, 2019 4:27 PM

That's really why Prince Andrew had to resign from duties. There are three skeletons in the Royal Closet!

by Anonymousreply 133November 22, 2019 8:26 PM

Just been listening to this case being discussed on a crime podcast. Fascinating, sad and absolutely baffling.

by Anonymousreply 134August 27, 2020 10:27 PM

"Give up", says everyone.

by Anonymousreply 135August 27, 2020 10:42 PM

This is one of the most baffling missing persons cases I've ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 136August 27, 2020 10:55 PM

The mother and/or the daughter were clearly the targets. That poor McCall girl was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

by Anonymousreply 137August 27, 2020 11:07 PM

Yes r136 I think a three person case is extremely rare.

by Anonymousreply 138August 27, 2020 11:15 PM

by Anonymousreply 139May 18, 2021 8:09 AM

R126. Thank you. Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my all time faves. Ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 140May 18, 2021 8:17 AM

Bumped because?

by Anonymousreply 141May 18, 2021 8:26 AM

Because DL won't let us block that gross pic of incinerated children.

by Anonymousreply 142May 18, 2021 8:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!