Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Timothée Chalamet In Talks To Star In ‘Dune’ For Denis Villeneuve

[quote]Timothée Chalamet is in final talks to star in the Denis Villeneuve-directed Dune, the cinematic relaunch of one of the most celebrated science fiction properties of all time for Legendary.

[quote]Legendary acquired film and TV rights to the Frank Herbert novels Dune in 2016, with the intention of making multiple films. Villenueve chose that film over numerous offers as his followup to Blade Runner 2049. That included James Bond, this well before Danny Boyle came in with his own take for that movie that was drafted by John Hodge.

[quote]Chalamet will play the lead, which in the David Lynch-directed original was Kyle MacLachlan. The young nobleman Paul Atreides is the central figure in the series of sprawling epic novels first published in 1965. It is set in the far future involving worlds beyond Earth, ruled over by competing feudal families who control access to a drug called Melange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 3, 2019 1:05 AM

Most recent discussion of the original, if anyone's interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2018 9:38 PM

As who? Alia Atreides?

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2018 9:40 PM

r2 The third paragraph has that bit of information - Paul Atreides.

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2018 9:42 PM

Timmy + Denis?

I’m excited about this.

Armie need to play the Harkonnen heir played by sting in the original.

In the original metal jockstrap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2018 9:43 PM

I predict a self-indulgent and completely unnecessary mess.

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2018 9:43 PM

Ugh, no. He's to femme to be Paul.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2018 9:44 PM

I'm sure Denis will get him in shape the way Luca couldn't. He'll be all butch and masc in no time.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2018 9:46 PM

Was speculating this would happen last fall. He’s a great choice. If they cast Timo, I wanna see Eva Green as Lady Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2018 9:52 PM

R6 Timothée really doesn't look feminine.

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2018 10:29 PM

He's got a rat-like face and he's femme, r9.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2018 10:41 PM

Timmy is faun like and strong

“TIMMY IS THE KWISATZ HADERACH”

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2018 10:48 PM

Paul is 15 at the start of the book, a lot of people were fan casting him way back.

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2018 11:00 PM

r8 Great casting suggestion. I would also offer Andy Serkis for the worms.

This movie is going to look [italic]insane[/italic] with 2018 visuals and Villeneuve's direction.

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2018 11:08 PM

im over tim tim, one too many giggly miggly interviews where he does his laffin hyena impression. ughhhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2018 11:11 PM

And Tilda Swinton as the Mother Bene Gesserit

“This child is an ABOMINATION”

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2018 11:11 PM

Timmy is indeed the Sasquatch Headrash

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2018 11:13 PM

Say it in Liza’s voice r16

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2018 11:17 PM

[quote]And Tilda Swinton as the Mother Bene Gesserit

That would be a very good choice.

Timothee is no kwisatz haderach.

Baron Harkonene - Brendan Gleeson - no question.

Feyd - Michael Pitt (no one does sexy with crazy eyes like Pitt)

Dr. Yueh - Benicio del Toro

Duncan Idaho - Travis Fimmel or if you want to play diversity stunt casting, I could easily get behind Tina Torres

Thufir - Idris Elba

by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2018 11:45 PM

^^^ That's Gina Torres.

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2018 11:45 PM

Make that Thandie Newton instead as she's hotter right now.

by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2018 11:54 PM

Yay! We get to hear this line again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2018 12:28 AM

r21 Dear lord, what the fuck was that even?

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2018 12:32 AM

I just want to know who they'll get to play the Shadout Mapes.

I think this part would suit G, looks alone.

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2018 12:34 AM

R21 - that was The Abomination.

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2018 12:43 AM

I can see this. He'd need to buff up quite a bit but I think he could prove to be an inspired choice. I think the slightly melancholy quality of his face would be a good fit for the world.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2018 12:45 AM

r15 if Tilda isn't available, Sigourney Weaver would be an acceptable substitute.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2018 12:56 AM

Omg please let it go to someone else. I love DV and don’t want to have to see that skinny mongrel doofus in his film.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2018 12:59 AM

I agree with R27. Timothée is too skinny. Let it be filled by an unknown actor.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2018 1:01 AM

Let an unknown actor take the place the Oscar nominated It Boy r28?

You are obviously a genius at the movie biz

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2018 1:03 AM

Please, he’s a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2018 1:07 AM

r29 I really am.

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2018 1:08 AM

id be interested in seeing dune redone, the novel is a spectacular achievement, one of my favorite reads of all time.

im a david lynch fan but david lynch got it wrong, the casting was wrong too.

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2018 1:09 AM

David Lynch's DUNE is his STAR WARS. George Lucas approached him to direct RETURN OF THE JEDI but that fell apart and Dino De Laurentiis cajoled him into doing DUNE instead. The extended cut (available on DVD) is miles better than what was originally released, but it definitely doesn't work in any form. But, it's interesting and undeniably some exceptional scenes... more than can be said for 90% of big budget films these days. After BLADE RUNNER 2017 being such a flop it's surprising funding is in place for this similarly labyrinth sci-fi story, but one assumes Villeneuve will get major A-list cast (Benecio Del Toro? Hugh Jackman? Emily Blunt?).

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote][R15] if Tilda isn't available, Sigourney Weaver would be an acceptable substitute.

You know who would be great if not Tilda - Shohreh Aghdashloot - and again, not diversity stunt casting, but actual bona fide badass and terrifying.

Or, if you want to go another more traditional direction - Alice Krige.

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2018 3:11 AM

Dune is going to make Timothée a bonafide huge movie star... even more so after he wins the Oscar for Beautiful Boy. This kid is on fire!!!!

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2018 3:23 AM

If they do a remake with him in Grease he'll be on fire R35

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2018 4:03 AM

[quote]Duncan Idaho - Travis Fimmel or if you want to play diversity stunt casting, I could easily get behind Tina Torres

Back when he had his shit together, Fassbender would’ve made a great Idaho. But now... not so much.

Yeah Gleeson for the Baron seems a natural choice. And I love the Aghdashloot suggestion. Not sure who could do Duke Atreides

by Anonymousreply 37July 17, 2018 2:23 PM

Dune has always been the beginning of the end for any career. So this is great news.

by Anonymousreply 38July 17, 2018 2:25 PM

i've seen the trailer for Beautiful Boy: total Lifetime movies, but for men-fraus (is there a word for that?). I fell asleep after 20 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2018 2:32 PM

Chalamet is a critical darling but he's not a movie star. He doesn't sell tickets. They are hyping him up as the next DiCaprio without the success to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 40July 17, 2018 2:35 PM

I don't know why but I just don't like him nor his work. I hope he won't get the job.

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2018 2:50 PM

Harvey Wienstein for the Baron!

by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2018 2:51 PM

Love the casting suggestions. Why not an all female Dune?

by Anonymousreply 43July 17, 2018 2:52 PM

I almost feel sorry for the kid, with all these massive expectations everyone has heaped on him because of basically one role. I can’t imagine the kind of pressure he must feel to deliver in his upcoming projects. I hope he doesn’t go off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 44July 17, 2018 2:53 PM

[quote]Chalamet is a critical darling but he's not a movie star. He doesn't sell tickets. They are hyping him up as the next DiCaprio without the success to prove it.

He’s a darling of DL’s pedo contingent.

There’s a difference.

by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2018 2:54 PM

I didn't need no franchise to be a star.

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2018 2:55 PM

Don't do it kid.

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2018 2:56 PM

r34 I kinda loved the TV show 'Children of Dune' and I like Krige, but I don't think the two should mix, casting-wise.

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2018 2:58 PM

[quote]Love the casting suggestions. Why not an all female Dune?

Did "A Wrinkle in Time" not teach you anything about messing with classics for SJW reasons, or "Ghostbusters" for that matter?

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2018 3:02 PM

That had nothing to do with the casting; awful scripts will do any movie in.

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2018 3:09 PM

r44 that's what I'm worried about too. In a span of a year he's gone from being a nobody to being one of the most adored and sought after celebrities thanks to a little indie and now with this possible franchise he's gonna be everywhere. I hope he has a good support system around him to keep him sane and grounded. He seem very ambitious but he's still pretty young so it's easy to lose it. No wonder he's been keeping a very low profile. The pressure and expectations must be insane.

by Anonymousreply 51July 17, 2018 3:27 PM

... use actors like Sigourney, Tilda, Shohreh Aghdashloot. Women who have something to say other than cute/sexy. Allow them the same ability to stretch the drama without falling into the Ryan Murphy camp freak show.

by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2018 3:30 PM

r51, he can't live up to the hype because he doesn't appeal to men like Leo did and the only women who love him are lesbians or women who love gay culture. He will not be a star and if he opens a movie, it's going to bomb. He doesn't have the X Factor that made a DiCaprio or a Julia Roberts or a Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 53July 17, 2018 4:01 PM

Just no.

by Anonymousreply 54July 17, 2018 4:05 PM

Just yes.

by Anonymousreply 55July 17, 2018 4:07 PM

He is no Leo. The kid is a new breed that comes to represent the changes in time. Twinks are gonna take over. And all jokes aside, if someone can pull Dune of that is DV. Already excited.

by Anonymousreply 56July 17, 2018 4:10 PM

He IS the new Leo.

by Anonymousreply 57July 17, 2018 4:15 PM

I disagree r53. He has that thing that will make him a big star, something that none of the young actors like Lucas Hedges, Ansel Elgort, Tom Holland have. He's very talented and shrewd but he also seems very sensitive which could easily end up fucking things up for him. Given Villeneuve's box office track record this could turn out to be a disappointment financially so who knows maybe there won't even be a franchise. But movie star, yeah he's on his way to becoming one. Let's see if he can handle it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 17, 2018 4:15 PM

r58, no, he isn't. Plenty of actors have been hyped as the next big thing but it's the public who decides and the public have not made him a star yet.

by Anonymousreply 59July 17, 2018 4:21 PM

He is no Chandler Massey!

by Anonymousreply 60July 17, 2018 4:22 PM

Isn't this story an allegory of sorts? Is it saying something about oil in the Middle East being valuable? Like spice? So why not cast Middle Eastern or exotic types as the Freemen in the desert. Knowing our luck, the cast will be full of tired Game of Thrones people.

by Anonymousreply 61July 17, 2018 4:23 PM

The next big thing bit is just his PR people at work. Time will tell if they are successful. As noted upthread many people have been touted as The Next Big Thing and most have gone on to nothing stellar.

That said... He has a pointy rat-like face.

by Anonymousreply 62July 17, 2018 4:27 PM

[quote]As noted upthread many people have been touted as The Next Big Thing and most have gone on to nothing stellar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 17, 2018 4:32 PM

[quote]Did "A Wrinkle in Time" not teach you anything about messing with classics for SJW reasons, or "Ghostbusters" for that matter?

I have on numerous occasions argued against color blind casting (see the thread on Edward Albee thread). I've also stated a case for so-called canon and continuity.

However, I don't see a problem with certain casting choices - nor would, I suspect most fanboys. Sure, if you put Zoe Saldana in for Duncan Idaho, there would be an outcry. But, Gina Torres is a fanboy favorite who does badass like few women (I don't think Thandie Newton could do it). She'd do grizzled old fighter well.

I would argue against an all-female Dune simply because gender is a critical component of the entire story - the creation of the kwisatz haderach was based entirely on generations of manipulation by the Bene Gesserits. You cannot mess with the genders of any of the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Hardonen, and therefore, most of the supporting characters. There are only a few whose genders are not pivotal to the story.

Race on the other hand is probably irrelevant, as 10,000 years from now, it probably won't exist if humans exist at all given the likelihood of genetic manipulation for future adaptation, rather than evolution.

by Anonymousreply 64July 17, 2018 4:44 PM

They should hold Timothee back for God-Emperor of Dune - his beaky little face sticking out of a giant CGI slug body.

by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2018 4:45 PM

Another fucking remake ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2018 5:20 PM

Will this make version # 3? Or is it #4?

by Anonymousreply 67July 17, 2018 5:22 PM

The original film covered the first book; then there was a tv series that covered three books. This is the second film or third version.

by Anonymousreply 68July 17, 2018 5:35 PM

I'm hoping Mad Max quality remake. More for DV's work than for the cast.

by Anonymousreply 69July 17, 2018 5:48 PM

[quote]he's gone from being a nobody to being one of the most adored and sought after celebrities

Only among the pedo contingent here on DL.

In the rest of the world, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 70July 17, 2018 5:56 PM

Give it a rest Matt, you psycho unfuckable loon ^

by Anonymousreply 71July 17, 2018 6:02 PM

[quote]That said... He has a pointy rat-like face.

Such a downgrade from beautiful young Kyle Maclachlan.

by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2018 6:16 PM

Young and upcoming Di Caprio was beloved by women from 10 to 90. This ugly frenchie is beloved by eldergays and aspie girls from Tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 73July 17, 2018 7:11 PM

And here come the pedos, R71 included, slinging mud in a vain attempt to distract.

Nice try, no sale, pedo.

by Anonymousreply 74July 17, 2018 7:16 PM

R74 Timothee is 22 years old.

I know that you are still scandalized about CMBYN, but Timothee was 20 when I was filmed.

CMBYN was a movie. Not a documentary. An fictional movie.

Fiction vs reality.

Don’t you understand the difference Matt Anscher, you ugly twat?

by Anonymousreply 75July 17, 2018 7:26 PM

we don't need another Dune. the Lynch one is fine, and Maclachlan (damn spelling, scots) was interesting. all if the cast was interesting.

this guy is attractive, but not interesting.

that one they did for the Scyfy channel was also unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 76July 17, 2018 8:50 PM

[quote]we don't need another Dune.

Agreed. However, we're trapped in an endless circle of remakes, re-boots, and re-imaginings.

If they're going to do one, I'd like them to do a good one - as the Lynch one wasn't very good as far as most people judge it, including me.

As with most unmakeable movies, they are until someone does it, as Jackson did with LotR (though failed miserably with The Hobbit).

by Anonymousreply 77July 17, 2018 9:00 PM

The Lynch one was garbage. I don't mind reboots as long as they're done by good directors. And I loved Blade Runner 2049 so I'm excited about this one.

by Anonymousreply 78July 17, 2018 9:03 PM

I don't know if he is even capable of bulking up the way he needs to. Paul Atreides is supposed to be the golden child, the next generation heir and supposedly as perfect a specimen as could be produced up to that point.

Kyle Maclachlan fit the bill but who in this generation of actors is beautiful enough but also projects enough masculine energy to lead a military with credibility?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2018 9:22 PM

(gratuitous caftan!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2018 9:24 PM

Armie Hammer R79

by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2018 9:25 PM

R75 doesn’t get it.

Sad!

by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2018 9:26 PM

R81 I can see that. And the House of Atreides is supposed to be a sort of Camelot: High wisdom and ethics. Hammer projects that kind of energy.

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2018 9:27 PM

Chalamet is beautiful and has an interesting face but also has an anemic, frail look. Paul Atreides is supposed to be strapping.

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2018 9:31 PM

WTF Paul is supossed to be a teenager. TEENAGER as in 15 years old. You haven't read the books have you?

by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2018 9:31 PM

R85 He's supposed to be like a healthy, 15 year old jock but also very beautiful and intelligent looking. This is when the de-masculization of Hollywood causes problems. Look at teen male leads in 80's films and you'll understand what I mean. For example, William Zabka has been talked about on here recently and he was 17-18 while filming "The Karate Kid".

I'm not saying romantic, wan young men don't have their place in film but that's all we have available for casting today.

by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2018 9:38 PM

literally just realised the kid who played the Abomination was Zoe from "Cybil"

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2018 9:41 PM

That's Alicia Witt, famous for being the most annoying detective ever on LO: Criminal Intent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2018 9:59 PM

R86 True. However like you just said male beauty concepts, just like female ones change overtime and the predominant beauty figure takes over. So I would get used to the age of the twink. Besides, it's not like this 22 year old actor can't gain some weight and look like a strong teenager. More importantly, you need someone with the emotional intelligence to pull a good Paul and this kid, with all and his crazy fans that will annoy everyone under the sun, can deliver.

by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2018 10:02 PM

Paul goes from a teenager to a man in at least his thirties across the three books he features in.

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2018 10:04 PM

Helen Lawson IS the Bene Geserit Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam!!

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2018 11:45 PM

Since it's going to be two-parter, with the second par probably filmed after the release of the first, then he'll have plenty of time to bulk up a little bit to play the older version of Paul. Most believe that the first part probably ends with the Harkonnen attack on the Atreides, with the second chronicling Paul's rise as the Fremen messiah. It really is an exciting role for a young actor if done properly, and two films gives them the time to do justice to the boo.

Side note...Frank Herbert had been hoping that Lynch would cast a red-headed teenage actor as Paul for the 84' version...

by Anonymousreply 92July 18, 2018 12:42 AM

"Justice to the boo"...

Yes, oh dear...

by Anonymousreply 93July 18, 2018 12:43 AM

screams flopscicle.

by Anonymousreply 94July 19, 2018 9:17 AM

the twin peaks guy who was in dune, he was a downer ….

by Anonymousreply 95July 19, 2018 9:18 AM

This is gonna be interesting. Dune fans don´t like Timothée and they also say this is a flop in the making because the book is too dense, unknown and expensive to adapt to be a box office hit . Plus the Blade Runner flop. With this situation, I´m looking forward to see if the director and Timothée prove them wrong. Let´s see who else they cast and what´s the budget for this.

by Anonymousreply 96July 19, 2018 1:31 PM

Wasn't one awful version enough already ?

by Anonymousreply 97July 19, 2018 1:36 PM

R96 has it exactly right. This will flop. A proper Dune movie would need to be 4 hours. You could maybe get away with 2 movies taking place before and after Paul meets the Fremen. And Timothee is a bad cast. Paul Atreides is more than anything else a figure of vengeance, I don't think Timothee has the range

by Anonymousreply 98July 19, 2018 2:14 PM

The only people who want to fuck the bland, sexless, plain Timothee are pedos and fangurls. He will get a few prime roles and then will be over.

by Anonymousreply 99July 19, 2018 2:44 PM

I think he and his team are overreaching with this. If it flops, and there’s a good chance it will, he will be over before he even started. He needs to temper down his thirst if he wants longevity in this business.

by Anonymousreply 100July 19, 2018 2:54 PM

Stop trying to make him happen. He's already peaked and has nothing to look forward to except obscurity and misfortune.

by Anonymousreply 101July 19, 2018 3:01 PM

Well, I don't think he's all that interesting, but he's hardly peaked yet.

He needs to do a couple more projects before we can know for certain. I didn't realize he's 6' tall. He looks so tiny next to Armie Hammer, you forget that Hammer is 6'5" and would dwarf most people.

I'd like to see what kind of range he has. Who would have thought back in the Third Rock days that Joseph Gordon Levitt would have had the career he's had. Back then, he was just another non-descript teen actor. The fact that he's not tiny like Elijah Wood, Daniel Radcliffe, and so many others opens a few more opportunities for roles as he gets older.

But, Dune - no. He's no Paul Atreides.

by Anonymousreply 102July 19, 2018 3:13 PM

He's no Paul Atreides.

He's too emaciated/femme/whiny

by Anonymousreply 103July 19, 2018 4:38 PM

Which actor would you suggest to play Paul A r103?

by Anonymousreply 104July 19, 2018 4:46 PM

I just hope Sean Young gets a little part in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 19, 2018 6:19 PM

R104 Aaron Taylor Johnson. Not that he's particularly a good fit age wise, just hot as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 19, 2018 6:33 PM

paul atreides is small and youthful looking. as a fremen his body becomes desiccated and sinewy. kyle mcclanahan was too old for the role with perfect 1980s hair. sean young too, love her but wrong for the role of chani

by Anonymousreply 107July 20, 2018 1:04 AM

I think KJ Apa would be a great Paul. He's got the looks, athleticism, and is a good actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 20, 2018 7:47 AM

For that matter, I think Tom Holland could do well. He's certainly got the acting chops.

by Anonymousreply 109July 20, 2018 7:51 AM

Tom Holland is as cute as a button, but too boyish for the role.

The Kwistaz Haderach should not resemble a hobbit.

by Anonymousreply 110July 20, 2018 7:57 AM

R98, as previously mentioned in the thread, it's a two-part adaptation, they're not going for the whole book in one movie...

by Anonymousreply 111July 20, 2018 2:41 PM

Donald Trump for the fat Baron Harkonnen...

by Anonymousreply 112July 20, 2018 2:50 PM

Who should play Jessica the Ducal concubine and mother of the Abobination?

by Anonymousreply 113July 20, 2018 3:09 PM

Tilda Swinton for the win

by Anonymousreply 114July 20, 2018 3:13 PM

Timmy has a lot of experience riding big worms.

by Anonymousreply 115July 20, 2018 4:50 PM

The guy who played Thufir Hawat in the 1984 movie is still alive and was still working until last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 20, 2018 5:45 PM

He should take the lead role in THE NANCY KULP STORY.

by Anonymousreply 117July 20, 2018 6:01 PM

Dame Siân Phillips who played The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam is still alive and working also

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 20, 2018 6:24 PM

Loved her as Livia

by Anonymousreply 119July 20, 2018 10:45 PM

It would be great to see some of the older1984 cast back for a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 120July 20, 2018 10:56 PM

Perhaps Mr. Chalamet could grow a chin for the role?

by Anonymousreply 121July 20, 2018 11:06 PM

Denis is a great director. He'll make it work wonder what the budget will be?

by Anonymousreply 122July 21, 2018 2:20 AM

The author's son has received the screenplay and posted his thoughts about it on his Twitter, if anyone cares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 23, 2018 9:06 PM

Cate Blanchett as Jessica if they can get her. The guy who played Han in Solo would be a great Paul. He has the look and I thought his acting was pretty good

by Anonymousreply 124July 23, 2018 9:09 PM

Alden Ehrenreich is his name. That's close to enough to what Paul should look like

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 23, 2018 9:16 PM

Alden has zero charisma and his career is dead after the Solo flop.

by Anonymousreply 126July 23, 2018 9:21 PM

r34, I like the way you think! To tell you the truth, when I read, "Dune" as a kid, I imagined the denizens of Arrakis to be Middle Eastern looking , especially with the Litany of Fear sounding very (in my kid mind) like what the Koran verses would sound like, and the vaguely Middle Eastern sounding names.

I'll have you know that Shoreh is also a class act in every way- had the chance to work with her, and man what an elegant, classy lady.

by Anonymousreply 127July 23, 2018 9:51 PM

All this talk about TC (I personally think he will be okay in the role), when my big concern is DV. I don't think he has what it takes to make a good/great movie based on Dune. I was horrified at the boringness of Blade Runner 2049. What a snooze fest. At least 20-30 minutes could have been cut and no one would have been wiser. And it still wouldn't have been a great movie.

by Anonymousreply 128July 24, 2018 12:40 AM

r127

i replaced the word spice with 'oil' as i read the book

by Anonymousreply 129July 24, 2018 1:02 AM

Blade Runner 2049 was perfect

by Anonymousreply 130July 24, 2018 2:58 AM

R130 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 131July 24, 2018 3:35 AM

You know, there is nothing more disappointing that waiting years for a sequel and getting a craptacular movie.

Return of the Jedi - The Phantom Menace

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Crystal Skull

Blade Runner - Blade Runner 2049

Wait, I'm beginning to see a pattern here...

by Anonymousreply 132July 24, 2018 3:36 AM

It's not going to be a sequel

by Anonymousreply 133July 24, 2018 8:59 AM

r132

whats his name was the weakest part of Blade Runner 2049.

didnt get jared letos role either

by Anonymousreply 134July 25, 2018 4:29 AM

tim tim stop pickin such lemons to be in

screams ur career bout to crash n burn dear

by Anonymousreply 135July 25, 2018 10:25 AM

Pretty sure he picked this project because of the acclaimed director attached , which isn't a wrong choice for someone who's only recently made a name for himself

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2018 2:16 AM

So sick of him already.

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2018 2:42 AM

Then block this thread r137

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2018 5:20 AM

R73 Sure. Eyerollzzz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2018 1:28 PM

Any dune fans have any actors they think are perfect for some of other roles?

by Anonymousreply 140August 1, 2018 12:15 PM

Eva Green for Lady Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 141August 1, 2018 2:44 PM

I love Eva for Lady Jessica. Can we work Louie Garrel in somewhere???

by Anonymousreply 142August 1, 2018 2:48 PM

Eva Green would be perfect. I love the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 143August 1, 2018 2:57 PM

Danny Devito as Alia.

by Anonymousreply 144August 1, 2018 3:29 PM

Armie Hammer as Duncan Idaho.

I really want to see Jessica and Baron Harkonnen to continue to be redheads...

by Anonymousreply 145August 1, 2018 5:16 PM

There’s lots of red headed actresses to play Jessica (Scarlet Johansson comes to mind immediately, but she’d be godawful), but not a lot of red haired actors to play the Baron (they have to really ugly up Michael Fassbender to play that role).

by Anonymousreply 146August 1, 2018 5:31 PM

Asia Argento can bring steel to any role.

by Anonymousreply 147August 1, 2018 5:58 PM

Brendan Gleason for The Baron, R146!

Has Fassbender ever played a role with his natural red hair?

by Anonymousreply 148August 1, 2018 6:22 PM

Glenn Close as The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam...

Sally Hawkins as The Shadout Mapes

Since we're talking Fassbender, he would have the bearing for Duke Leto.

Chastain as Jessica?

by Anonymousreply 149August 1, 2018 6:31 PM

Jessica Chastain at Lady Jessica would be an an abomination

by Anonymousreply 150August 1, 2018 7:34 PM

There is such a thing as hair dye.

by Anonymousreply 151August 1, 2018 7:38 PM

Yes R151, hence Fassbender...

by Anonymousreply 152August 1, 2018 7:53 PM

You know, when they were casting for the 84' version, I was practically jumping up and down yelling "Alice Krige! Alice Krige!". But I loved Annis in the role, and thought Saskia Reeves was underrated. Got excited when Krige was cast for Children, but generally disappointed with the performance. But then it was almost 20 years later and she was on the tail end so to speak.

However you feel about 84', you have to admit that it was for the most part impeccably cast. Those actors are now what I picture when I think of those characters.

by Anonymousreply 153August 1, 2018 8:01 PM

Fassbender is a natural ginger, r152, hence my comment about hair dye.

by Anonymousreply 154August 1, 2018 8:05 PM

Yes, R154, *I know*...

by Anonymousreply 155August 1, 2018 8:30 PM

Then you might want to tell r146 who thinks you need a real redhead, r155. You're not the only one posting here.

by Anonymousreply 156August 1, 2018 9:28 PM

I just googled red headed actors / actresses r156

I didn’t subject them to a full body scan to see whether they had natural red hair

by Anonymousreply 157August 1, 2018 9:41 PM

I know he's too old, but Jared Leto would have made a good Feyd-Rautha (played by Sting). He has the attractiveness and the crazy eyes.

by Anonymousreply 158August 1, 2018 10:16 PM

Jared Leto IS the Shadout Mapes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 1, 2018 10:20 PM

No Leto

by Anonymousreply 160August 2, 2018 12:54 AM

Do you think they'll still go for a mostly white cast (considering the middle eastern elements) or will they realise it needs to be more diverse than the previous adaption?

by Anonymousreply 161August 2, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote]Do you think they'll still go for a mostly white cast (considering the middle eastern elements) or will they realise it needs to be more diverse than the previous adaption?

Exhausting.

What it needs is a better adapted screenplay and good actors. More diverse casting will not make a bad adaptation any better. And, I'm the one earlier who thought that these would be excellent choices.

Gina Torres - Duncan Idaho

Dr. Yueh - Benicio del Toro

Thufir - Idris Elba

Shohreh Aghdashloot - Reverend Mother

by Anonymousreply 162August 2, 2018 7:04 AM

DUNE? What's going on in Hollyweird, not ONE original thought in their empty heads! Re-vamped films, movies from old TV series, not one original idea. Yet they're all millionaires. A relative's film will be out soon, I joked to him, "It will bomb because it's too original!"

The film version of DUNE by David Lynch had to be one of the most boring Sci-Fi movies of all time, a total waste of money. I laughed out loud when I saw an even longer version was being shown on one of the premium cable movie channels.

Sting was riding high with The Police, so he jumped at that Feyd role, but he's mostly a crappy actor. He was good in Stormy Monday, likely because he was on screen so little of the time and he got to speak in his real Geordie accent. Sean Bean was the main actor.

by Anonymousreply 163August 2, 2018 7:20 AM

Yes Leto. I liked him in Blade Runner

by Anonymousreply 164August 2, 2018 1:36 PM

I disagree R162. I think using middle eastern looking actors or actresses for the Fremen and european types for the nobles will give the film an extra layer of immersiveness

by Anonymousreply 165August 2, 2018 1:43 PM

Leto was the WORST thing about Blade Runner 2049. He’s a good actor but he was terrible in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 166August 2, 2018 1:44 PM

I'd rather not focus on big name actors or actresses at all. They almost never actually make the movie better and use up huge amounts of budget that could otherwise go to make awesome looking sets and sandworms. I'd rather a great movie with meh box office than something everyone sees for Actor X that no one ends up liking

by Anonymousreply 167August 2, 2018 1:46 PM

I willing to give Timothee a chance I guess. I think he is a good actor but he would need to bulk up

by Anonymousreply 168August 2, 2018 1:49 PM

Shohreh would upgrade anything she's in

by Anonymousreply 169August 2, 2018 6:02 PM

This thread is for discussion of the 2020 film Dune including any filming, promotion and interviews.

by Anonymousreply 170August 12, 2018 9:17 AM

Rebecca Ferguson is in talks to play his mother. She is an excellent actor so he is in good company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 6, 2018 12:26 AM

34 years old to play the mother of a 23....lol HW

by Anonymousreply 172September 6, 2018 8:07 PM

Well, she IS essentially a concubine R172...Paul is 15 when Dune begins, so Jessica being a mother at 19 is not unthinkable.

by Anonymousreply 173September 6, 2018 11:33 PM

R173 It just made me laugh how the news is presented on articles.

by Anonymousreply 174September 7, 2018 7:12 AM

Since Anti Tumblrina psycho bitch spammed to death Timmy's thread, let's use this one and someone please ban that nutjob already ffs!

In spite of the mixed reviews for the film I think he'll get an Oscar nod again. He's got great reviews for his performance, the industry loves him and he's on a huge wave of popularity right now. According to Vulture he's not going to campaign as much as last year though. I remember reading that somewhere else too so it must be true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 10, 2018 8:01 PM

R175 Dear user, the BEAUTIFUL BOY thread is here. The one you’re writing in is dedicated to Dune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 10, 2018 8:14 PM

It's pretty impossible to campaign as much as he did for CMBYN, they were everywhere for 15 months.

However he is going to San Sebastian Festival in Spain, Mill Valley Festival in California and London Film Festival, fitting all of it around filming Little Women so it's not like he's gonna be slacking either.

by Anonymousreply 177September 10, 2018 9:01 PM

Dune won't be Oscar material lol. I will see this remake no matter what. It's my favorite book, but I hope it's not absolute shit. I think Timothee is talented but Paul is a bad cast unless he can put on quite a bit of muscle and change his style.

by Anonymousreply 178September 11, 2018 1:15 PM

R176 ATQ has spammed that thread to death, too.

by Anonymousreply 179September 11, 2018 1:38 PM

Hall is a good choice, even though Eva Green was my pick. Wonder if we’ll get any more casting news soon.

by Anonymousreply 180September 11, 2018 1:46 PM

Eva Green wouldn't have worked for Jessica. She's too intense. Jessica is awesome but very subtle in how she influences things

by Anonymousreply 181September 11, 2018 3:10 PM

I wanted Eva as well...Those green eyes are captivating!

by Anonymousreply 182September 11, 2018 3:19 PM

Love Eva. She would have been amazing

by Anonymousreply 183September 11, 2018 3:49 PM

I like Eva; Penny Dreadful is probably my favorite TV show of the last ten years. But, I think actors that fit the role are better than just celebrities I like. I'd MUCH prefer a low key but awesome movie than a bunch of big names and a final product that doesn't resemble Dune at all.

by Anonymousreply 184September 11, 2018 3:51 PM

Dune will actually probably be an Oscar contender in the tech categories.

by Anonymousreply 185September 11, 2018 4:50 PM

Timothée Chalamet will return to Budapest, and I think the shooting is 5 months (or so he said in an interview).

by Anonymousreply 186September 29, 2018 10:10 PM

On a side note, why is it that so many Hollywood films are shot in Budapest these days?

by Anonymousreply 187September 30, 2018 11:25 AM

R187 Less taxes.

by Anonymousreply 188September 30, 2018 11:29 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 2, 2018 3:10 PM

Is there an actual thread for this french bitch or do we face excommunication if we discuss anything involving him?

by Anonymousreply 190October 4, 2018 12:31 AM

There are two:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 7, 2018 7:11 PM

And the other one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 7, 2018 7:12 PM

Bautista in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 8, 2019 8:01 PM

I first assumed he would play Gurney Hallack. But he could fit Rabban well enough too.

It's encouraging that Rabban is even in the movie as he is a minor character, it makes me think the adaption will be faithful

by Anonymousreply 194January 8, 2019 8:04 PM

Kyle MacLachlan in the original is narcotic to look at. That jawline is perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195January 8, 2019 9:56 PM

R187 possibly tax breaks. You would be surprised but sometimes even governments help to bankroll HW films

by Anonymousreply 196January 8, 2019 10:03 PM

Stellan Skarsgård plays Baron Harkonnen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 9, 2019 8:29 PM

Warner Bros. has scheduled Legendary’s science-fiction tentpole “Dune” for a Nov. 20, 2020, release in 3D and Imax.

“Aquaman” star Jason Momoa is in negotiations to join the “Dune” reboot with Timothee Chalamet, Javier Bardem, Rebecca Ferguson, Stellan Skarsgard, Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin, Oscar Isaac, and Zendaya. Production is expected to launch in the spring in Budapest and Jordan.

more at linke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198February 16, 2019 12:10 AM

[quote] As who? Alia Atreides?

Come on now! He's far too old.

No, he will play instead the Princess Irulan.

by Anonymousreply 199February 16, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote] DUNE? What's going on in Hollyweird, not ONE original thought in their empty heads!

Which is SO unlike you yourself, so cleverly and originally referring to Hollywood as "Hollyweird"!

by Anonymousreply 200February 16, 2019 12:55 AM

Sometimes an all-star cast means a movie could be awesome but more often than not nowadays an all-star cast points to it being a total shit show. The fact that Charlotte Rampling is doing this means they're throwing money left and right to these quality actors which also bodes poorly. Would she and Javier Bardem etc be doing this if they were working for scale?

by Anonymousreply 201February 16, 2019 12:58 AM

Pedo thread

by Anonymousreply 202February 16, 2019 1:01 AM

Is that why you're here, R202?

by Anonymousreply 203February 16, 2019 1:03 AM

We all know why you love him so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204February 16, 2019 1:05 AM

Oscar Isaac is going to be Paul's father.....whaaaat? Bleh. Although i did like him in, "Ex Machina", but nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 205February 16, 2019 1:20 AM

Oscar Isaac is only 40, and looks younger to boot. He's the one who should play Duncan Idaho, not Jason Momoa. I'd vote for Colin Firth for Duke Leto.

by Anonymousreply 206May 3, 2019 1:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!