Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #523: The "Tony,Tony, Tony Nominations 2023" Edition.

With Lea announcing the nominations next month, is this a sign she will win a 'Sensation of the Season' award? Will 1776 and Porkchop be nominated? Will best revival be a bloodbath? All will be debated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600May 3, 2023 1:58 AM

Lea announcement here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2023 11:56 PM

I will bet someone that they will make a “surprise” announcement on Tony morning that Lea is being awarded a special Tony

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2023 12:07 AM

I will bet that the announcement will be made by Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2023 12:29 AM

R4 GroffSauce.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2023 12:32 AM

Oh thank GOD you rushed to make this thread, OP. This title was just too, too, TOO clever to keep hidden!

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2023 12:57 AM

Anybody for Best Actress but Comer.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2023 12:58 AM

R5 Even if apparently spacing commas was a challenge for her....

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2023 12:59 AM

Well, you can hardly blame her, R7. When genius bursts forth, one has little control.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2023 1:02 AM

Announcing a special Tony at that time would be tacky.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2023 1:07 AM

Don't they usually announce the Special Tonys (i.e. Lifetime Achievement) in separate press releases? Why blow your wad all at once when you can keep getting free press?

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2023 1:09 AM

Jesus, tough crowd. Try the veal.

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2023 1:37 AM

R4 dad will be crying too hard, mom will have to come to the conclusion herself

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2023 1:39 AM

I'm just getting nervous that the big announcement on Tuesday will be gender neutral categories.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2023 3:01 AM

Nice Dame Edna remembrance from Ben Brantley. When was the last time Brantley returned to write a tribute to a theatre artist?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2023 3:38 AM

paywall

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2023 3:41 AM

Playwright Megan Terry has died. Her work sounds fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2023 3:53 AM

"One of the leading cast members of Viet Rock was Gerome Ragni, who would go on to create the musical Hair."

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2023 4:09 AM

Deadline reviews "Good Night, Oscar":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2023 4:12 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2023 4:13 AM

I worked on a production of this circa '82, r16. She and Joanne Metcalf worked on it with our theater company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2023 4:16 AM

R20 How was it?

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2023 5:35 AM

[quote]blow your wad all at once

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Jim Wilhelm has died. He was a much-beloved theatrical agent who represented actors including Olivia de Havilland, Alice Ripley, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Lea Salonga and DL's c-list actor. He was also a founding board member of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. He was 68, and had retired only 2 years ago.

Speaking of c-list actor, I sometimes wish he would back away from the computer., for his own good. He goes through phases of near compulsive posting. Yesterday, on All That Chat, he said of the abrupt cancellation of Seth Rudetsky's fundraising for charity channel Stars In The House: "This sounds like homophobia".

Wait. what? It does sound like YouTube did a fucked-up thing, but where does the homophobia come in? A couple days ago, he corrected somebody who posted a link regarding Adam James playing Glinda's father in the Wicked film, saying "it's Galinda". When told Playbill listed her as Glinda, he flatly said "Playbill is wrong"

When told that IBDB, Wikipedia, and Ovrtur all listed the character as Glinda, he said "They're all wrong too", at which point Seth Christenfeld posted "[insert Principal Skinner meme here]".

I mean, he's not quite at the level he was a year or so ago when he called for Alice Ripley's head after a Tik Tocker said “Growing up is realizing I was groomed by a Tony-Award winning Broadway actress". That led to a board-wide 3-day meltdown on ATC, all of which was deleted each day, because it got so heated and crazy.

I've worked C-list. He's a nice guy. IMO, though, as a public person, he might want to think twice about posting quite so frequently and vehemently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 25, 2023 9:53 AM

Here's Seth Rudetsky's tweet regarding the cancellation of Stars In The House. I'm not a huge fan of his, and I have never watched the channel, but it sounds like a good thing, raising money for charities. Since they allowed the channel to run all this time, I think he deserves an explanation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 25, 2023 10:11 AM

YouTube probably had enough of Seth’s face.

It’s best for everyone

by Anonymousreply 25April 25, 2023 10:48 AM

^homophobe!

by Anonymousreply 26April 25, 2023 10:53 AM

[quote] paywall

r15 pay the New York Times for their journalism.

by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2023 11:47 AM

Goodbye Oscar,

It's been nice.

Hope you find your paradise...

by Anonymousreply 28April 25, 2023 11:59 AM

YouTube probably cancelled because of music rights. They will randomly shut things down if their algorithm tells them that music might be stolen. Someone probably screwed up the paperwork. Did Seth and his husband clear the songs?

by Anonymousreply 29April 25, 2023 12:43 PM

After all the Chicago raves and awards, I was surprised at the poor reviews for "Goodnight, Oscar." What the hell happened?

by Anonymousreply 30April 25, 2023 12:47 PM

bad play. worse than I expected.

Doug Hughes: I Am My Own Wife, The Little Mermaid book, Hands on a Hardbody book, War Paint book, Grey Gardens book.

Hmmm......

by Anonymousreply 31April 25, 2023 12:57 PM

[r29] how do you clear rights for an online performance? They weren’t lip syncing or anything.

by Anonymousreply 32April 25, 2023 1:02 PM

I thought I Am My Own Wife was brilliant. I wonder what happened with GNO. It didn't seem to have much of a point.

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2023 1:10 PM

[quote] pay the New York Times for their journalism.

If they had anything resembling decent journalism, I would.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2023 1:23 PM

TDF, here I come.

by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2023 2:07 PM

Were the noms announced?

by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2023 2:23 PM

Another show Chris Jones raved about in Chicago flops in New York.

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2023 2:32 PM

What were we expecting? These are the same lead producers as "Diana The Musical"

by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2023 2:35 PM

R36, the Tony noms will be announced on May 2nd.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2023 2:35 PM

Oops, never mind. I don't know why I thought noms were today.

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2023 2:36 PM

Oscar Levant was not a great choice to build a play around. A collection of tics and one-liners does not complexity make (as Green indicated). Plus, those who remember him while he was alive are old or dead. I'm among the former. And I didn't care about him then.

by Anonymousreply 41April 25, 2023 2:43 PM

[quote]R36, slinking away

You do that very well.

by Anonymousreply 42April 25, 2023 3:12 PM

Very pleased to see my thoroughly bad impressions of Goodnight, Oscar and Hayes' hammy performance, even his over the top playing of Rhapsody in Blue, were confirmed by Green in his NY Times review. It also received a few other bad to mixed reviews. I really wouldn't trust any reviews coming out of Chicago tryouts.

by Anonymousreply 43April 25, 2023 3:13 PM

Depending on the reviews tonight, perhaps this clears the Tony field for Oscar Isaac.

by Anonymousreply 44April 25, 2023 3:16 PM

Does anyone think a play about Richard Burton and the making of his Hamlet production, about to premiere in London, will do any better here?

by Anonymousreply 45April 25, 2023 3:17 PM

Doug Wright wrote Good Night, Oscar, not Doug Hughes. Doug Hughes is a director.

by Anonymousreply 46April 25, 2023 3:26 PM

I, for one, am very eager to see that Burton/Broadway Hamlet play and hope it's still running at The National next time I'm in London. Elizabeth Taylor and John Gielgud are also characters in it. I find the premise fascinating, though, obviously, it will all depend on the writing. That Sam Mendes is directing it is a major plus. I don't think he'd take on a questionable project.

by Anonymousreply 47April 25, 2023 3:31 PM

[quote] I don't think he'd take on a questionable project.

But he'd sure turn out one.

by Anonymousreply 48April 25, 2023 3:32 PM

Leopoldstadt had the lowest percentage of attendance on Broadway last week, at 58%, followed by Good Night, Oscar at 70%. Even that POS The Thanksgiving Play is at 82% (thought its avg ticket price is $42).

Why are they still running Leopoldstadt? Do they think if it wins Best Play it's going to bring in the tourists?

by Anonymousreply 49April 25, 2023 3:37 PM

If OSCAR is doing so poorly, why isn't it on TDF?

by Anonymousreply 50April 25, 2023 3:39 PM

Even NY, NY is at 87%

by Anonymousreply 51April 25, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote]I've worked C-list. He's a nice guy. IMO, though, as a public person, he might want to think twice about posting quite so frequently and vehemently.

Since it seems you know him fairly well, I imagine you're aware that. by his own admission, he has some serious mental/emotional issues. At least, he SOMETIMES admits to that.

by Anonymousreply 52April 25, 2023 3:44 PM

CBS & Pluto TV Partner For Tony Awards Pre-Show:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 25, 2023 4:08 PM

Drama League noms announced today. Everyone got one except poor, lonely Brandon Uranowitz

by Anonymousreply 54April 25, 2023 4:38 PM

Drama League nominations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 25, 2023 4:40 PM

Oh, how fabulous. A new play at the Golden this summer about Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, and Roy Scheider aboard the Orca during the filming of Jaws. Ian Shaw plays his father. No casting for the other two yet. This sin't the musical that played last Sumer. It's a comedy.

I suggest Dan Fogler for Dreyfuss.

by Anonymousreply 56April 25, 2023 5:20 PM

^ the musical, "Bruce", that played last summer.

by Anonymousreply 57April 25, 2023 5:21 PM

Danny Mastrogiorgio for Scheider!

by Anonymousreply 58April 25, 2023 5:22 PM

[quote]I've worked [with] C-list. He's a nice guy. IMO, though, as a public person, he might want to think twice about posting quite so frequently and vehemently.

[quote]Since it seems you know him fairly well, I imagine you're aware that. by his own admission, he has some serious mental/emotional issues.

I surely do, r52. He's been very open about the fact that he's bipolar 1, aka rapid-cycling bipolar disorder - and good for him. It carries a hell of a stigma. That's exactly why I think he might want to be a little more circumspect about what he posts. Right now, he is arguing with strangers on a public board where his identity is known, over something completely inconsequential, and it makes him look unstable. He also supports Laura Osnes, not a popular look on Broadway.

He really went off the deep end with the Alice Ripley grooming accusations on ATC, though. They all did. He was extremely emotional and overshared things about his past that I haven't seen anywhere else. He led the charge when the torches and pitchforks came out for Alice. While it's fairly clear that Ripley has issues of her own, and that she definitely behaved inappropriately with her fans at Next to Normal, suggesting that she was grooming young women and even sexually assaulting them was beyond the pale.

He's a big boy, and is entitled to post whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Maybe he is done with performing, but if not, he does himself (and other bipolar people) no favors by posting so often and on the kinds of subjects he does here, on ATC and BWW.

He's a sweet man. I'd love to see him on stage or screen again.

by Anonymousreply 59April 25, 2023 6:02 PM

[quote]He's a sweet man.

The sweetest! I'm a friend, and he's smart and funny.

by Anonymousreply 60April 25, 2023 6:04 PM

R54 Wendell Pierce missed, as well.

by Anonymousreply 61April 25, 2023 6:12 PM

‘The Lion King’ Takes Top Box Office Spot In ‘Phantom’-less Broadway; ‘Peter Pan Goes Wrong’, ‘Prima Facie’ Among Strong Newcomers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 25, 2023 6:36 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 63April 25, 2023 6:50 PM

[quote]This sin't the musical that played last Sumer.

Was it a big hit with the farmwives?

by Anonymousreply 64April 25, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote]He's been very open about the fact that he's bipolar 1, aka rapid-cycling bipolar disorder - and good for him. It carries a hell of a stigma. That's exactly why I think he might want to be a little more circumspect about what he posts.

Or, he might want to stop posting on social media altogether. And if he doesn't have enough judgement and awareness of his issues to make that decision himself, maybe his husband or someone else could take his computer away for his own good. One of the most unfortunate effects of the growth of the internet/social media is that it has made it abundantly clear just how many people there are in this world who suffer from mental/emotional illness -- some might say insanity -- at one level or another. Which is truly sad for them but also extremely difficult for those who have to be exposed to them online. And sometimes they can cause real damage, as for example the Alice Ripley situation you noted.

by Anonymousreply 65April 25, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote][R54] Wendell Pierce missed, as well.

Good, r61. Pierce is an ok actor but has an enormous ego that he doesn't deserve. Likes to pretend he's a nice guy but isn't. He was highly praised for dealing with a heckler during the run of Death of a Salesman. They said he de-escalated the situation, but the truth is, he did the exact opposite. He prolonged it unnecessarily.

In the video within the link below, you can clearly hear the stage manager politely request that the actors get off the stage - but no, Pierce had to grandstand and make it all about him. He slips up and says, "I've waited too long for this", then quickly corrects it to "We've waited too long for this". He negotiated with this drunken loon. Tried to get the *ushers* to give her money FFS. This would have been over much sooner had he simply done as requested.

Now, the heckler has her 15 minutes of fame with bragging rights, and Pierce got international acclaim for "saving" the show - all because of him.

I've worked with him, too. I'd work with c-list again in a minute. I would avoid working on any project involving Pierce ever again.

[quote]The sweetest! I'm a friend, and he's smart and funny.

C-list is smart, funny, and shy, r60.

I obviously agree r65. I don't see how his posting habits over the past few years are doing him or anyone else any good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 25, 2023 7:43 PM

Here's the kid cast in City Center's Oliver. Lovely voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 25, 2023 7:45 PM

Lovely r67.

by Anonymousreply 68April 25, 2023 8:42 PM

Peter Pan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 25, 2023 8:54 PM

[quote]Here's the kid cast in City Center's Oliver. Lovely voice.

He was Winthrop in " The Music Man" revival. Benjamin Pajak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 25, 2023 8:57 PM

I'm anticipating lots of disappointed, even angry theatre-goers, who will put down good money (lots of it) for that Sidney Brustein revival, thinking they'll see something interesting, if flawed. The mediocre production only proves how unfinished the play remained at Lorraine Hansberry's death and will do her legacy no good. And it's 3 hours long! An hour could easily have been cut and only make for a better play.

Oscar Isaac is fine (my goodness he has a large head!) but the writing for his character is so inconsistent and over-written, it inevitably hurts his performance. I was surprised Rachel Brosnahan wanted to be in this as her role is so cliched and boring and the other two female characters are much more interesting.

That said, Gus Birney, who plays the youngest sister is a total embarrassment. And the other nepo-baby Julian De Niro isn't much better. The only actors I thought really did well were Miriam Silverman in the scene-stealing snobby middle sister role and Glenn Fitzgerald as the gay Edward Albee-like playwright living upstairs, as the writing of those roles is so far superior to anything else in the play.

by Anonymousreply 71April 25, 2023 9:04 PM

Quick question: why can't replacements get considered for a Tony? If their performance is brilliant it seems a bit mean to shut them out. Is it so that new productions get the attention in their year?

I'm not advocating for Michelle btw!

by Anonymousreply 72April 25, 2023 9:21 PM

Watching Schmigadoon (meaning, it's on in the background while I vacuum) and wondering what roles Aaron T and his hearty nasolabial folds will be able to age into.

by Anonymousreply 73April 25, 2023 9:42 PM

One of the reasons replacements can't be considered for Tonys is it would mean that the producers would have to invite back all the Tony nominators and Tony voters. That's a lot of lost box office revenue .

by Anonymousreply 74April 25, 2023 9:45 PM

[quote]Quick question: why can't replacements get considered for a Tony? If their performance is brilliant it seems a bit mean to shut them out. Is it so that new productions get the attention in their year?

As I'm sure (or I hope) you know, there was a very brief attempt to make a separate category for this, but it didn't even last one season. And they can't just throw all the replacement people in as nominees in the exiting categories, because that would be far too many potential nominees. Honestly, couldn't you have figured that out on your own?

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2023 10:36 PM

Yes, R74, that too.

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2023 10:38 PM

Patti lupone outed herself as a Tony voter in her new queerty interview. Good think Bernadette hasn’t been cast in anything lately on Broadway because lord knows a nomination wouldn’t be coming her way!

by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2023 11:19 PM

A Tony voter who has all but announced she'll be quitting Equity and "doesn't think" she'll be returning to Broadway. Makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2023 12:57 AM

How many Tony voters are in AEA and perform on Broadway, r78?

Serious question. I don't think either of those are required.

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2023 1:03 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe actors, directors and designers only become Tony voters if they're officers in their unions. And very often, those union officers will be people who are not particularly active in their respective careers but want to get involved in union activities.

And it's a common misbelief to think that if one wins a Tony, one becomes a Tony voter. It doesn't work that way at all.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2023 1:40 AM

I saw that SALESMAN production in London and thought it was absolutely marvelous. I can't be alone in that; it was generally acclaimed in London. Can someone explain why it tanked so hard in New York? Did something in the production change? Wha?

Regarding BRUSTEIN: perfectly good production of an admittedly flawed play. Somebody thought it could win some awards this year, but I can't imagine that would be sufficient motivation to move it to Broadway. Mystifying.

by Anonymousreply 81April 26, 2023 2:49 AM

Guys, I have a confession to make. And it only just hit me today.

I am the originator of The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Snatch thread from a couple weeks ago. I had no memory of making it until just recently. I was high as a kite on edibles after a day of chemo (and stayed that way until my nausea abated a couple days later).

I believe what I was trying to do was mash up The Brustein announcement with the opening of Shucked. Where the fuck I got snatch from, I have no idea. I vaguely recall doing it while in my online cancer support group, to distract myself from everyone finding out I was stoned. A thousand pardons, you filthy whores. The thread deserved to go down in flames. We shall speak of it no more.

by Anonymousreply 82April 26, 2023 2:57 AM

Nathan Lane should have played Oscar Levant. Pianism not needed.

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2023 3:00 AM

Deadline reviews "Summer, 1976":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2023 3:04 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2023 3:06 AM

[quote]Nathan Lane should have played Oscar Levant. Pianism not needed.

As long as subtlety isn't needed, either, I guess he would have been all right.

by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2023 3:08 AM

God, that Auburn play sounds mind-numbingly awful.

by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2023 3:09 AM

[quote] As long as subtlety isn't needed, either, I guess he would have been all right.

Yeah, Sean Hayes is known for his subtlety.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2023 3:25 AM

[Quote] “I sort of immediately hated her,” Alice tells us in narrator mode, which she and Diana slip in and out of as they recall the time when they were new to each other.

This sentence from The Times makes it clear I don’t want to see this play

by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2023 3:32 AM

Oh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2023 4:03 AM

Why not, indeed, r90?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 91April 26, 2023 9:20 AM

Well, tonight we will finally find out what the critics think of NYNY. I saw an early preview and I thought it was boring, long, overstuffed with plots that do not go anywhere. It always surprises me when professionals put these mediocre works out there. Do they listen to the criticisms? The problem about too many plots has been mentioned since day one and, from what I heard from a friend last night, they are still all there. Oh well, I am predicting mixed to negative reviews.

by Anonymousreply 92April 26, 2023 9:26 AM

[Quote] It always surprises me when professionals put these mediocre works out there

These [italic] two hour and forty-five minute [/italic] mediocre works, you mean.

by Anonymousreply 93April 26, 2023 11:18 AM

Maud Apatow leaves little shop to become new sally bowles in London

by Anonymousreply 94April 26, 2023 12:15 PM

Link

Baby’s got a new career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 26, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote]The problem about too many plots has been mentioned since day one and, from what I heard from a friend last night, they are still all there.

I too have heard that same complaint since NY, NY began performances. I expect the people in charge, mainly Stroman and the book writer, simply don't have enough knowledge or strength to fix this problem, which probably would have required some ruthless cutting and firing. See also STEEL PIER. (Stroman didn't direct that one, but she choreographed.)

by Anonymousreply 96April 26, 2023 2:02 PM

Maybe Maude will be Sally when Cabaret eventually makes its way to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 97April 26, 2023 2:26 PM

NY NY has the worst book of a musical in eons. It's an overlong, boring mess. I admit I fell in like with Colton Ryan, even though his singing voice is horrific. Some of the choreography is pretty good, but Stro blows her wad in the first act with the steelworker number. The songs are mediocre at best, mostly crap by Lin-Manuel. Does Emily Skinner need a job that badly? She's wasted. Whatever happened to sound design? I couldn't understand much of the book(mercifully), and about half the lyrics. It's a stinker that might make it until Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 98April 26, 2023 2:40 PM

The good reviews of that Laura Linney play don't even make we want to see it. I find my eyes glassing over the "plot" descriptions.

by Anonymousreply 99April 26, 2023 3:20 PM

[quote] Maybe Maude will be Sally when Cabaret eventually makes its way to NYC.

Christ, let's hope not. And keep that enby creature playing the Emcee far, far away from Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 100April 26, 2023 4:00 PM

R23- I hear you. I type what I think. I guess I could tone it down. Let’s wait and see about Stars in the House though. I do think they could’ve gotten complaints that were homophobic in nature. What could they have meant about needing YT to be a safe place for all? Sounds like “what about the children” to me.

by Anonymousreply 101April 26, 2023 4:11 PM

Yes, r52- I have bipolar disorder and work at a mental health respite. That has nothing to do with my posts though. I’m on medication and quite balanced. I’m very out about it. Here’s my speech at the UN if you’re interested….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2023 4:19 PM

R59- I do not support Laura Osnes. I do support the truth and there were some lies told about her.

by Anonymousreply 103April 26, 2023 4:21 PM

R59- thanks for your sweet words. I am at a place in my life where I’m not afraid to say what I think. I’m currently working on a performance art piece about my coming out story for the Bourbon Room in Hollywood. We were going to premiere it in October but just postponed it because we’re not going to be ready in time. It’s a big ordeal with a lot of moving parts. Of course, I’ll let you know when it happens. If it goes well, the plan is to take it to London and then NYC.

by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2023 4:29 PM

[quote]I hear you. I type what I think. I guess I could tone it down.

My intent was not to tell you what to post, but rather to ask for you to think about whether some things are worth arguing about. I thought long and hard about what to say or whether to even say it, c-list/r101/r103/r104. In the end, I posted it because I knew you would see it. I'm grateful that you took it the way it was intended. I was honestly concerned. I stopped posting at ATC because I revealed too much of myself and got a stalker. I obviously still lurk but haven't posted in years.

I wish this place or ATC had some form of private messaging, but we can't even get an edit button here. :)

[quote][R59]- I do not support Laura Osnes. I do support the truth and there were some lies told about her.

I do apologize for that. I inadvertently misrepresented you by phrasing that inadequately. What I should have said was that you supported her lawsuit against the New York Post. We will have to agree to disagree as to whether lies were told about her or not. We really don't know whether she quit or was fired, which I think is what you are talking about.

Anyway, best of luck with your show. I will absolutely attend, and I'll even introduce myself. I believe that you would recognize me.

I am so sorry for the loss of your former manager and friend. So unfair that he never had time to enjoy his retirement with his husband.

We were not close colleagues when we worked together, but you were always a pleasure to work with. I would welcome the chance to work with you again.

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2023 5:12 PM

R105- thanks

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2023 5:17 PM

Best Actor Nominees- Sean Hayes

Marcel Spears

John David Washington

Hiran Abeysekera

Oscar Isaacs

I wouldn't bet against Washington on June 11th.

by Anonymousreply 107April 26, 2023 5:39 PM

Don't count out Stephen McKinley Henderson or Wendell Pierce, r107!

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2023 5:54 PM

Let's take a break for Equus. The link is working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 26, 2023 5:59 PM

Let's take a dance break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 26, 2023 6:02 PM

Holes WILL be presented!

by Anonymousreply 111April 26, 2023 7:04 PM

I guess no one cares about the OCC noms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 26, 2023 7:06 PM

Oh god, they did the stupid genderless categories thing resulting in less nominees.

by Anonymousreply 113April 26, 2023 7:10 PM

In the intermission of PETER PAN GOES WRONG. I’m sitting front row center and I have unwillingly received Neil Patrick Harris’ bodily fluids. Be warned, there is a splash zone.

by Anonymousreply 114April 26, 2023 7:11 PM

R102 that is kinda scary - but I am sure some DL posters would have given the same speech.

by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2023 7:11 PM

[quote]I fell in like with Colton Ryan, even though his singing voice is horrific.

I thought his singing was excellent in previous shows, so I'm not sure what happened here.

by Anonymousreply 116April 26, 2023 7:11 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2023 7:14 PM

No OCC nom for Ben Platt.

I guess we can credit the genderless categories for one good thing. (And ONLY one.)

by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2023 7:15 PM

Can we please be spared the personal drama between posters and bs from other message boards, please?

No one here cares about that shit and you’re just embarrassing yourselves. STFU.

Stay on topic here and post about Follies or, failing that, Gypsy, or fuck off. We don’t care about your personal melodramas.

by Anonymousreply 119April 26, 2023 8:01 PM

r117 cut it out. Three time in the last 2 threads. We're as bored by you as your ex-lovers were.

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2023 8:02 PM

[quote]Oh god, they did the stupid genderless categories thing resulting in less nominees.

Actually, the genderless categories resulted in fewer nominees.

by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2023 8:38 PM

Saw SUMMER, 1976 this afternoon and it was more engrossing than I expected. Linney is wonderful as usual, though at first I thought we were going to just get another patrician performance from her. But her character has a number of shadings that she reveals expertly. Hecht's character is, in the end, less interesting. I tend to run hot and cold with her, but she does have some strong moments.

Not a great play but a solid one.

However, I'm sure Comer will get the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 122April 26, 2023 9:45 PM

Oh there's no way Linney or Hecht have a shot in hell. If it isn't Comer, it's Chastain. Linney is a distant 4th behind Rachel Brosnahan (who's a distant 3rd).

by Anonymousreply 123April 26, 2023 9:48 PM

I’d rather see Linney do it with her buddy Brooke Shields.

by Anonymousreply 124April 26, 2023 9:50 PM

"Amiens" of ATC outed as a pointlessly bitchy Datalounger ; )

I remember your post about Lucy & Desi photos on the Goodnight, Oscar set, Amy. You're right, details matter. You have a keen eye, I didn't even notice the portraits at all when I saw the show. I guess it was tough to see anything beyond Sean Hayes'.... effortful performance, though.

by Anonymousreply 125April 26, 2023 9:53 PM

You got me, r125!

I'll be interested to see if I get many responses over there.

by Anonymousreply 126April 26, 2023 9:57 PM

Inside Scoop: Dylan Mulvaney allegedly in talks to be Roxie Hart in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 127April 26, 2023 11:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 27, 2023 1:32 AM

Ohh, Ann Wedgworth.

by Anonymousreply 129April 27, 2023 2:19 AM

NYNY reviews pretty mixed/negative so far...

by Anonymousreply 130April 27, 2023 2:20 AM

Ohh, Kenneth Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 131April 27, 2023 2:21 AM

R128. What a cast. Shelley, Ann, Sally Kirkland, Farley Granger and Al Freeman Jr.

by Anonymousreply 132April 27, 2023 2:24 AM

R127. Dylan is a Go To Hell Kitty not a Roxie.

by Anonymousreply 133April 27, 2023 2:27 AM

Deadline reviews "New York, New York":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 27, 2023 2:37 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 27, 2023 2:38 AM

Eek! Those NYNY reviews are even worse than I thought they'd be.

What's become of lead producers like Sonia Friedman and Tom Kirdahy? Both have been around hits and misses long enough to know better. All of the criticism I'm reading in these reviews are complaints I've heard about this show since it was workshopped. Since the first preview. I'd ask if "show doctors" are ever brought in any more, but who you gonna ask these days that knows any better? Sad, and what a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 136April 27, 2023 2:50 AM

“sprawling, unwieldy, surprisingly dull show” — ny times...OUCH! And the budget has to be huge!

by Anonymousreply 137April 27, 2023 2:51 AM

And I have a feeling NYNY was lucky Elizabeth Vincentelli reviewed it for the Times instead of Jesse Green, who would have, no doubt, been even harsher.

by Anonymousreply 138April 27, 2023 3:14 AM

I think Jesse might have wanted to stay far away from NYNY. He must have wanted to avoid filing yet another pan. (And doesn't he have a past connection to Kander?)

by Anonymousreply 139April 27, 2023 3:27 AM

Re Robert Patrick:

"In 1976, Marlo Thomas commissioned Patrick to write My Cup Ranneth Over for her and Lily Tomlin. Although they never performed in the play, it would become Patrick's most produced work."

In a 2009 interview with the "Village Voice," he said he now made his living reviewing gay porn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 27, 2023 3:57 AM

Gay porn needs reviews?

by Anonymousreply 141April 27, 2023 4:01 AM

R141 "It made me cum'.

by Anonymousreply 142April 27, 2023 4:16 AM

Robert Patrick was not a great playwright. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time and is given an elevated role in the development of off and off-off Broadway.

Then again, Harvey Fierstein is also not a great playwright and has given himself an elevated role in the development of off and off-off Broadway (and everything else).

by Anonymousreply 143April 27, 2023 4:20 AM

R143 Patrick is pretty well known. And Kennedys Children was performed around the world.

by Anonymousreply 144April 27, 2023 4:34 AM

[quote] And Kennedys Children was performed around the world.

So was Angel Street. And no one remembers that, either.

by Anonymousreply 145April 27, 2023 4:43 AM

Yes, Jesse Green knows and has worked with John Kander. That's why he did the advance piece on Kander and the show but did not review it.

by Anonymousreply 146April 27, 2023 4:56 AM

Anybody know why Stephanie J Block is missing performances on the “Into the Woods” tour?

BTW, her husband Sebastian Arcelas simply disappears into the (almost nonexistent) set when he’s not singing. Zero stage presence in this (touring) production.

by Anonymousreply 147April 27, 2023 5:07 AM

I believe she's getting a tooth pulled.

From her cunt.

by Anonymousreply 148April 27, 2023 5:09 AM

Why does Raul look so “different”?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 27, 2023 5:37 AM

R149 Papi looks hot. Maybe he is getting well railed, at last.

by Anonymousreply 150April 27, 2023 5:40 AM

Robert Patrick's Youtube channel is quite a rabbit hole. He refers to himself in one video as "a lovelorn top from Texas." In another video, he mentions that Betty Buckley was almost cast as Carla in "Kennedy's Children" (the role that won Shirley Knight a Tony), but Betty's approach to "every speech we had her read was to break into tears."

This effusive tribute to Barbara Montgomery (who played Wanda in "Kennedy's Children") was made just last year.

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 27, 2023 7:18 AM

I feel like Robert Patrick and Richard Jay Alexander could have quite podcast together if they wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 152April 27, 2023 10:27 AM

Raúl looks every minute of his nearly 53 years. I guess that’s what comes from living two lives.

by Anonymousreply 153April 27, 2023 11:24 AM

Ben Crawford AND Clay! Be still my heart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 27, 2023 11:26 AM

I’m not trying to be a bitch, I really don’t know much of this stuff but is doing a show at the Muny considered a good career thing or a bad career thing?

by Anonymousreply 155April 27, 2023 1:07 PM

R155, I've been told that it's not an audience friendly venue, the seating is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 156April 27, 2023 1:11 PM

R155, Didn't FOLLIES play there between closing on Broadway and opening in Los Angeles in 1972?

by Anonymousreply 157April 27, 2023 1:13 PM

I saw SWEENEY there last summer. Thought it was fantastic. I was 1/2 back and I got everything...I was impressed.

by Anonymousreply 158April 27, 2023 1:16 PM

Yes, r157. That's where I saw it.

That cavernous stage swallowed the production. And the Loveland transformation snagged and never completely opened.

by Anonymousreply 159April 27, 2023 1:17 PM

How did we know, even before reading the article, that Belle would be black ?

by Anonymousreply 160April 27, 2023 1:21 PM

People at ATC are up in arms with Mark's little song/review of NYNY. This is another case of "Who Approved This"? It was boring beyond belief, nothing was improved during previews, and when they were doing readings/workshops no one was brave enough to say..... this kinda sucks?

by Anonymousreply 161April 27, 2023 1:41 PM

The original production of MACK & MABEL also played the Muny on its way to Broadway from its first tryout run in LA. I wonder if it was a way for these productions to make back some good quick money? Huge audiences in only a week of performances.

by Anonymousreply 162April 27, 2023 2:10 PM

r161, I wonder if Kander had final say and no one wanted to hurt the feelings of a nonagenarian by contradicting him. Also, it's very hard to cobble together a coherent storyline with a bunch of disparate songs, many written for earlier shows with no link to NYNY. Some trunk songs are trunk songs for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 163April 27, 2023 2:37 PM

So there's a job opening somewhere for someone to review porn?

I'm checking Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 164April 27, 2023 2:40 PM

a blog with pics/text from Cafe Cino era

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165April 27, 2023 3:00 PM

[R163] Agreed but "cobble together a coherent storyline with a bunch of disparate songs" is a jukebox and we have seen many successful ones (quality aside). So, I really do not get what happened but I wish I could have witnessed the reactions of the first workshop, reading, run-through....I see it as a very disturbing case of groupthink.

by Anonymousreply 166April 27, 2023 4:36 PM

[quote]So there's a job opening somewhere for someone to review porn?

"I call dibs on the gay porn."

by Anonymousreply 167April 27, 2023 4:42 PM

Image if it had been in the hands of Fosse, Tune or Champion, r166.

by Anonymousreply 168April 27, 2023 4:44 PM

What happened to New York New York is what always happens to Stroman's shows. She loves her own work, and will fight cutting it. She's interested in the musical's structure only in so far as it serves as a showcase for her choreography and scenic pictures. That's why her shows are so long and poorly structured.

I assume at this moment she's giving detailed dance notes.

by Anonymousreply 169April 27, 2023 4:52 PM

I imagine Stro also loves her actors and dancers too much to be too critical (except maybe of their dance moves) or to cut and edit their material.

by Anonymousreply 170April 27, 2023 5:26 PM

Which is why she shouldn't be directing. Stick to choreography, Stro.

by Anonymousreply 171April 27, 2023 5:29 PM

I'd rather watch a fantastically staged and choreographed show that maybe wasn't as strong on plot and score than one that had none of those things. I can forgive a lot if a show is visually dazzling that way and takes my breath away. It sounds like Stro knows she can't fix the dogshit book or score, so she's focusing on her strengths.

by Anonymousreply 172April 27, 2023 5:32 PM

Wow, I just got an email advertising a new play by Paul Sand in Los Angeles. I had no idea he was still even around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173April 27, 2023 5:33 PM

Paul Sand must be in his 90s by now. Is his jewfro grey?

by Anonymousreply 174April 27, 2023 5:36 PM

Drama Desk nominations are out

No nominations for either Josh Groban or Ben Platt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 27, 2023 5:54 PM

Jesus, those DD noms were so boring, I couldn't even make it through the list.

by Anonymousreply 176April 27, 2023 6:02 PM

Shucked Ain't Fucked might have been a headline that would entice readers to finish the list of gender neutral acting noms....

by Anonymousreply 177April 27, 2023 6:04 PM

I just don't know why these awards bodies think anybody cares about a shortlist of 10 nominees - it's like, why bother? Just give out citations.

It's not compressed enough to be interesting or to make us feel like all of those performances are in any actual competition with one another.

I've lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 178April 27, 2023 6:12 PM

I agree, R178. That's why I got bored looking at it. It doesn't feel like an exciting competition. It feels like.... the Obies.

by Anonymousreply 179April 27, 2023 6:14 PM

Most successful jukebox musicals have been based on bios of the composer or star: BEAUTIFUL,CHER, MJ, JERSEY BOYS. Can't think of any good ones that used an original story.

by Anonymousreply 180April 27, 2023 6:44 PM

The genderless category thing is so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 181April 27, 2023 6:52 PM

[quote]Most successful jukebox musicals have been based on bios of the composer or star: BEAUTIFUL,CHER, MJ, JERSEY BOYS. Can't think of any good ones that used an original story.

Oh, really?

by Anonymousreply 182April 27, 2023 6:58 PM

Was Mamma Mia more successful than Jersey Boys? I'd say you could argue for either.

by Anonymousreply 183April 27, 2023 7:19 PM

Why are they selecting two winners per acting category? So much for shattering the binary….

by Anonymousreply 184April 27, 2023 7:21 PM

Jerry Mitchell Named Recipient of 2023 Isabelle Stevenson Tony Award:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 27, 2023 7:24 PM

[quote]Was Mamma Mia more successful than Jersey Boys?

I assume it was, r183.

by Anonymousreply 186April 27, 2023 7:27 PM

Ben Platt was on “The View” this morning to promote Parade and his upcoming wedding.

In describing Parade, he revealed the ending, which seemed dumb for any unaware of it.

by Anonymousreply 187April 27, 2023 7:57 PM

What happens if both winners of a category are [biological] males?

by Anonymousreply 188April 27, 2023 7:59 PM

R187 I hate 100 year old spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 189April 27, 2023 8:02 PM

R187 Hold up, marriage? Is he marrying Noah Galvin?

by Anonymousreply 190April 27, 2023 8:03 PM

R190, Ben said they're deciding on a venue and how Jewish the wedding should be.

by Anonymousreply 191April 27, 2023 8:17 PM

Life Magazine from November 19, 1951 - Lynn Fontanne, Katherine Cornell and Helen Hayes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192April 27, 2023 8:17 PM

R189, Psst, the Beggar Woman in Sweeney Todd is really . . .

by Anonymousreply 193April 27, 2023 8:19 PM

R192, "Name That Dyke"

by Anonymousreply 194April 27, 2023 8:20 PM

[quote]What happens if both winners of a category are [biological] males?

What happens is that the shit will hit the fan, which is why I don't believe the genderless categories solve anything (assuming there was really a problem in the first place).

by Anonymousreply 195April 27, 2023 8:33 PM

Jersey Boys is still running in London as well as a UK tour, both companies selling tickets into 2024.

by Anonymousreply 196April 27, 2023 8:56 PM

They lack glamour, r192.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 27, 2023 9:43 PM

Wow, bad reviews for a stage version of Martin Scorsese’s worst movie. I am shocked.

by Anonymousreply 198April 27, 2023 9:51 PM

R198, John Kander should have ended his Broadway career with Curtains.

by Anonymousreply 199April 27, 2023 10:24 PM

I'm not a Drama Desk voter, but if I was, I'd only vote for straight white males. Just to encourage them to end the insanity.

by Anonymousreply 200April 27, 2023 10:37 PM

Before, CURTAINS, r198. Before.

by Anonymousreply 201April 27, 2023 10:51 PM

Mamma Mia an original story?

by Anonymousreply 202April 27, 2023 10:53 PM

God, Curtains was absolute fucking dreck.

by Anonymousreply 203April 27, 2023 11:14 PM

[quote]Psst, the Beggar Woman in Sweeney Todd is really . . .

...Scottish, British and American.... according to Ruthie's bizarre mid-show accent shifts in the current production, R193.

by Anonymousreply 204April 27, 2023 11:45 PM

Is Jerry Mitchell gay at r185?

He’s cute as fuck

by Anonymousreply 205April 28, 2023 12:17 AM

Is the Pope Catholic, R205?! You bet Jerry's gay!

by Anonymousreply 206April 28, 2023 1:01 AM

Jerry's so gay, he's almost straight.

by Anonymousreply 207April 28, 2023 1:02 AM

R180- it’s called MAMMA MIA, the most successful jukebox of them all

by Anonymousreply 208April 28, 2023 1:07 AM

Mamma Mia was more successful than Jersey Boys because of the movies that were monster hits.

by Anonymousreply 209April 28, 2023 1:08 AM

I ran into Jerry on 59th street a few weeks ago and he reeked of pussy

by Anonymousreply 210April 28, 2023 1:17 AM

Theatremania asshole trying to make a case for the Tonys going genderless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 28, 2023 1:20 AM

R211 The kids are just so ahead of the oldies with their open view of gender. Or something.

by Anonymousreply 212April 28, 2023 1:25 AM

Edna still making us laugh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 28, 2023 1:34 AM

Bernie looked lovely on the Carol Burnett 90th Birthday celebration, but the voice is really going. Can she handle 8 shows a week in the West End Sondheim tribute? Even if it is just for a few months?

by Anonymousreply 214April 28, 2023 2:01 AM

[quote]Wow, bad reviews for a stage version of Martin Scorsese’s worst movie.

It's not really based on the movie, and it is not his worst. It's one of his best.

by Anonymousreply 215April 28, 2023 2:03 AM

r208 See R182.

Oh, and

MAMMA MIA - 5,758 performances

JERSEY BOYS - 4,642 performances

by Anonymousreply 216April 28, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote]It's one of his best.

Really, r215? I don't think so. I saw it when it came out and I had the 2-disc soundtrack. I thought it would be a rediscovered classic eventually. But frankly, I can't sit through it now.

by Anonymousreply 217April 28, 2023 2:10 AM

I'm perpetually annoyed that both "New York, New York" and "All That Jazz" are not available anywhere to stream.

by Anonymousreply 218April 28, 2023 2:10 AM

R217: I saw it for the first time a few years ago when it screened in NYC, and I loved it. I saw it again last year and loved it even more. It's deeply cynical, but Liza counteracts all that. It's beautifully shot and designed. The musical sequence towards the end is one of the wildest cinematic fever dreams I think I've ever seen. Plus Liza, and the songs, and the sets.

I had watched Judy's "A Star is Born" for the first time a few months before that, and I was giddy over how much Scorsese seemed to be in conversation with that film. (One example is that I read the musical sequence mentioned above as a playful riff on the sequence when Judy's character goes to the preview of her first big picture—both are meta in a way that you lose sense of what you are watching... a movie within a movie? a Broadway show within a Broadway show? You get lost in Judy and Liza's performances and lose your grounding in a really thrilling way.)

I do admit that it is the most cocaine-fueled movie I've ever seen. The blow that Scorsese et al were doing basically explodes off the celluloid.

by Anonymousreply 219April 28, 2023 2:21 AM

What’s happening over at the St. James is a gigantic misfire. Cliched, simple-minded, long, woke, badly cast.

by Anonymousreply 220April 28, 2023 2:31 AM

And the Tony goes to...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 28, 2023 2:37 AM

[quote] Oh, and MAMMA MIA - 5,758 performances JERSEY BOYS - 4,642 performances

You forgot the 1200 or so performances of Jersey Boys off-Broadway, hon. They count. So that puts Jersey Boys ahead of Mamma Mia.

by Anonymousreply 222April 28, 2023 3:14 AM

This is a great article on Justin Cooley from "Kimberly Akimbo." Adorable kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223April 28, 2023 3:14 AM

For Two Playwrights, a Connection That Began When One Made the Other Cry:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224April 28, 2023 3:17 AM

A friend of mine and I were talking about Stritch because he didn't realize she actually never won a Tony. And I wondered how come she never got a lifetime achievement Tony. They just gave one to Chita who has two competitive ones. They gave a special Tony to Diana Ross, for fuck's sake. Why not Stritch, who was one of the last true Broadway stars?

by Anonymousreply 225April 28, 2023 3:27 AM

Sarah Ruhl makes me cry, too, but in a very different way.

by Anonymousreply 226April 28, 2023 3:27 AM

I thought Stritch won a Tony for "Elaine Stritch at Liberty," but Wikipedia tells me the award went only to the producers.

by Anonymousreply 227April 28, 2023 3:42 AM

Correct, the award only went to the producers, but they let her speak.

by Anonymousreply 228April 28, 2023 3:44 AM

She actually got one though. There are pictures of her at her home in Michigan before she died and her Tony is on the piano with the Emmys. Also in her documentary, there are several shots of her room at the Carlyle and her Tony is there.

by Anonymousreply 229April 28, 2023 10:43 AM

R229, In reading Michael Riedel’s latest book, he writes of much animosity backstage at A Delicate Balance, particularly between Elaine and George Grizzard.

Also, Elaine was known to venture out into the lobby to make sure her house seats had not been given away, wearing just a bra and panties.

by Anonymousreply 230April 28, 2023 11:46 AM

I can't say enough good thngs about Justin Cooley. A, he's managing to make a potentially cloying role really enjoyable. B, he has excellent chemistry opposite Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 231April 28, 2023 12:06 PM

Grizzard's Tony win. Stritch looks thrilled for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232April 28, 2023 12:30 PM

I agree, Cooley is fantastic, R231.

One of my few criticisms of KA (and I really loved it) was that Cooley's character pretty much disappeared from the story for most of the second act. I loved the way they explored the dynamics of Kimberly's family in Act 2 but Kimberly's relationship with Cooley's character was the emotional heart of the story. I really wanted to see that develop even further during the second act as well.

Brilliant cast, great show. They ought to receive a bucketload of Tony nominations (and they would deserve to win a lot of them).

by Anonymousreply 233April 28, 2023 1:47 PM

Doesn't anyone remember the controversy over Stritch's Tony Award speech?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 28, 2023 1:47 PM

I too am a fan of New York, New York... the movie.

by Anonymousreply 235April 28, 2023 1:59 PM

[quote] She actually got one though. There are pictures of her at her home in Michigan before she died and her Tony is on the piano with the Emmys. Also in her documentary, there are several shots of her room at the Carlyle and her Tony is there.

Oh yes, I don't doubt that the producers bought her a physical trophy (and they damn well should have), but it still doesn't change the fact that she didn't actually *win* one.

And for the record, I think that was a bullshit call on the part of the Tonys. 99% of the Special Event shows that were nominated in that short time were solo shows, most of which were written or co-written by the performers. I don't see why the award for that category could not have been given to the producers and performer, much like the way the Best Play Tony goes to the producers and the author.

by Anonymousreply 236April 28, 2023 2:00 PM

But back to my original question, which seems to have gotten buried under "did she or didn't she," why do we think Stritch was never awarded a Lifetime Achievement Tony? I can think of no one better suited for that award than Elaine. She basically gave her life to the stage, was a multi-generational star, worked on Broadway right up until near the end, was nominated for several Tonys and never won, and was a true theater legend. When that word has been thrown around so much, it barely retains its meaning these days, Elaine really WAS one.

by Anonymousreply 237April 28, 2023 2:04 PM

She was a great talent on stage, and a rancid cunt as a person.

by Anonymousreply 238April 28, 2023 2:10 PM

SHUCKED! STRITCHIE!

by Anonymousreply 239April 28, 2023 2:14 PM

Stritch was not a beloved figure nor a worshiped talent within the industry. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 240April 28, 2023 2:17 PM

[quote]I thought Stritch won a Tony for "Elaine Stritch at Liberty," but Wikipedia tells me the award went only to the producers.

It seems that Stritch was deservedly hated by many/most people in the industry, who were aware of her constant ridiculous, destructive antics as a (barely) functioning alcoholic to a much greater degree than the public was aware of them.

by Anonymousreply 241April 28, 2023 2:45 PM

Yes, but you act like Stritch is the first difficult actress the industry ever encountered. If we decided to ignore talent and only give accolades to nice people, then... well, I guess we'd be about where we are now.

by Anonymousreply 242April 28, 2023 2:54 PM

I think the other issue is when she won theatrical event many assumed that was her Tony and her award. They probably didn’t feel a reason to give her an additional award.

by Anonymousreply 243April 28, 2023 2:55 PM

[quote]Yes, but you act like Stritch is the first difficult actress the industry ever encountered

No, she wasn't, but when it came to "difficulty," she was truly in a class by herself.

by Anonymousreply 244April 28, 2023 3:01 PM

[quote]Yes, but you act like Stritch is the first difficult actress the industry ever encountered.

Stritch was in a league of her own.

by Anonymousreply 245April 28, 2023 3:02 PM

She was awful, and its always be highly embarrassing that this industry and some delusional synchophants have constantly celebrated her ugliness as a high-camp drag queen delight. She was an awful drunk for years, and then just an ugly, delusional narcissist. Enough.

by Anonymousreply 246April 28, 2023 3:08 PM

But why does loving her work automatically mean we're celebrating her offstage behavior? I don't. I would never have wanted to spend any time with her offstage. I think she'd be exhausting. But I have been thrilled by her work on several occasions. And isn't that why we give awards, to reward the work?

by Anonymousreply 247April 28, 2023 3:14 PM

[quote]delusional synchophants

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 248April 28, 2023 3:21 PM

Stritch? She had talent. Reeeeeeal talent. I knew that when I kicked her outta my show.

by Anonymousreply 249April 28, 2023 3:22 PM

I saw her quite a lot - and her performances were wildly variable. I thought she was just great in A Delicate Balance, perhaps never better. Elaine Stritch At Liberty, she occasionally veered into self indulgence, but is largely captivating. Really enjoyed her in the Company reunion concert and Sail Away at Carnegie Hall. And then there's Show Boat and A Little Night Music, where she was awful.

by Anonymousreply 250April 28, 2023 3:22 PM

R247, no we give awards to market the industry.

And you in the audience might not have to spend time with her, but people who work for the Tonys and the committees etc would have to spend time with her if they gave her an award. Why would they torture themselves?

by Anonymousreply 251April 28, 2023 3:36 PM

Se was loathed within the industry, but had steady employment for decades on both sides of the Atlantic. An odd contradiction, but I'm happy for it. She gave me many thrilling evenings in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 252April 28, 2023 3:47 PM

Sesshie is writing an autobiography on Strichie

by Anonymousreply 253April 28, 2023 3:59 PM

Well, R251, if it's to market the industry, then Stritch would seem like a no-brainer. What primarily theater star of the past few decades had as much widespread appeal as Stritch? Lansbury? Sure, but she's just as much (if not more) a TV star and a movie star as she is a theater star. Chita? Hardly. Lupone? She tries, but she's even more universally hated than Stritch, yet she has three Tonys. 30 Rock only served to

It would seem to me that honoring Stritch would bring in some viewers. She's got the Howard Stern appeal. When asking listeners who loved him why they listen- I want to hear what he'll say next. When asking listeners who HATED him why they listen- I want to hear what he'll say next. With Stritch, you knew you'd get a show. And with the flatlined ratings of the Tonys, it would seem giving Stritch a guaranteed platform to be Stritch for five minutes, and publicizing the hell out of it, might just drag those numbers up a tick.

I'm not trying to be contradictory. And yes, it may have just come down to a couple of people on the board with a grudge who wouldn't let it go. But I just think it's a travesty. (I know, MARY!) Matt Doyle has a Tony but Elaine Stritch doesn't. But then Jennifer Hudson has an Oscar and Montgomery Clift doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 254April 28, 2023 3:59 PM

[quote] It would seem to me that honoring Stritch would bring in some viewers. She's got the Howard Stern appeal. When asking listeners who loved him why they listen- I want to hear what he'll say next. When asking listeners who HATED him why they listen- I want to hear what he'll say next. With Stritch, you knew you'd get a show. And with the flatlined ratings of the Tonys, it would seem giving Stritch a guaranteed platform to be Stritch for five minutes, and publicizing the hell out of it, might just drag those numbers up a tick.

You know she’s dead, yes?

by Anonymousreply 255April 28, 2023 4:05 PM

[quote]Sure, but she's just as much (if not more) a TV star and a movie star as she is a theater star.

A TV star, certainly. But Angela Lansbury, by her own admission, was never a movie star. She was a huge star on Broadway, however. Trying to minimalize Lansbury's stature on stage to make your point is disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 256April 28, 2023 4:06 PM

How did I minimize Lansbury? I said she was just as much a movie and tv star as she was a theater star.

by Anonymousreply 257April 28, 2023 4:14 PM

I'll drink to THAT!

by Anonymousreply 258April 28, 2023 4:14 PM

Oh look, Bruce Vilanch is among us at R255.

by Anonymousreply 259April 28, 2023 4:16 PM

So will NYNY even make it to July 4? Their operating costs must be massive.

by Anonymousreply 260April 28, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote]With Stritch, you knew you'd get a show. And with the flatlined ratings of the Tonys, it would seem giving Stritch a guaranteed platform to be Stritch for five minutes, and publicizing the hell out of it, might just drag those numbers up a tick.

Anyone who cared about Elaine Stritch getting a Lifetime Achievement Tony would already have been watching regardless.

by Anonymousreply 261April 28, 2023 4:19 PM

Not really. I haven't watched the Tonys for more than a decade and I'd have tuned in for it. I think the last full ceremony I watched was whatever year CZJ won, because I was at someone else's house when it was on. I've seen a couple numbers here and there on YouTube, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 262April 28, 2023 4:25 PM

[quote]How did I minimize Lansbury? I said she was just as much a movie and tv star as she was a theater star.

Because what you said simply isn't true. Lansbury didn't become a star until she became a star on Broadway. She said this herself. Her TV stardom came after her Broadway stardom, and she was strictly a supporting actress in movies, never the leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 263April 28, 2023 4:43 PM

Oh for fuck's sake. Lansbury was best known for her television stardom first, then her movie roles, and THEN her stage roles, simply due to the number of people each reached. What I said was that she had commensurate amounts of success/stardom in each, so that you could not call her simply a stage star the way you could Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 264April 28, 2023 4:48 PM

[quote]Oh for fuck's sake. Lansbury was best known for her television stardom first

We're talking about theater fans and theater audiences here, genius.

by Anonymousreply 265April 28, 2023 4:50 PM

She wouldn't have gotten MSW without her Broadway stardom, r264.

by Anonymousreply 266April 28, 2023 4:50 PM

R266, And if I hadn’t turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 267April 28, 2023 5:00 PM

That too.

by Anonymousreply 268April 28, 2023 5:17 PM

Finally we can all rest...American Icon Barry Manilow will have a show on Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 269April 28, 2023 5:20 PM

[quote] We're talking about theater fans and theater audiences here, genius.

If you're going to keep cherry picking to try to win your argument, you're worthless. Bye.

Fucking queens on here.

by Anonymousreply 270April 28, 2023 5:24 PM

It was your argument that was worthless, R270. Have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 271April 28, 2023 5:28 PM

[quote]Fucking queens on here.

Just how many of us queens on here have you fucked r270?

by Anonymousreply 272April 28, 2023 5:28 PM

Patti is not hated in the industry. Stritch was.

by Anonymousreply 273April 28, 2023 5:51 PM

Patti is tolerated in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 274April 28, 2023 6:02 PM

What does everyone think of Tour Bobbie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 28, 2023 6:05 PM

She's very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 276April 28, 2023 6:28 PM

Tony Committee announces, new book for Camelot now eligible (for Best Book).

by Anonymousreply 277April 28, 2023 6:43 PM

The big question is what has-been TV star will play Joanne in the tour of COMPANY.

by Anonymousreply 278April 28, 2023 6:46 PM

We can all breathe easier knowing that Camelot is eligible for an award it wouldn’t win in a million years.

by Anonymousreply 279April 28, 2023 6:55 PM

Britney went on as Bobbie at least twice when Katrina was out with COVID.

by Anonymousreply 280April 28, 2023 7:00 PM

Tony noms out on Tuesday. Bad CINDERELLA will post closing notice on............Wednesday?

by Anonymousreply 281April 28, 2023 7:01 PM

It could get a nod for Carolee, R281.

by Anonymousreply 282April 28, 2023 7:07 PM

[quote]The big question is what has-been TV star will play Joanne in the tour of COMPANY.

I hope it's Suzanne Somers!

by Anonymousreply 283April 28, 2023 7:23 PM

R283, Not necessarily.

by Anonymousreply 284April 28, 2023 7:49 PM

[quote]I haven't watched the Tonys for more than a decade and I'd have tuned in for it. I think the last full ceremony I watched was whatever year CZJ won, because I was at someone else's house when it was on. I've seen a couple numbers here and there on YouTube, but that's it.

Pardon my French, but who the FUCK cares about your personal Tony Awards viewing habits? The comment that anyone who cares about Stritch winning an award or not would be watching the show anyway is very cogent regarding the VAST majority of people, with you apparently excepted.

by Anonymousreply 285April 28, 2023 8:36 PM

STRITCHED!

by Anonymousreply 286April 28, 2023 8:56 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287April 28, 2023 8:59 PM

[quote]Pardon my French, but who the FUCK cares about your personal Tony Awards viewing habits?

Maybe switch to decaf?

by Anonymousreply 288April 28, 2023 9:00 PM

Or heroin?

by Anonymousreply 289April 28, 2023 9:06 PM

Tony Nominations are out.

Zero nominations for Camelot and 1776. That’ll teach them to fuck with the classics.

I hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290April 28, 2023 9:34 PM

Who wants to tell R290?

by Anonymousreply 291April 28, 2023 9:36 PM

R291, Let me.

by Anonymousreply 292April 28, 2023 9:37 PM

Big, big yawn.

by Anonymousreply 293April 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Tell me what? What did I mess up?

by Anonymousreply 294April 28, 2023 9:41 PM

You messed up your reading skills r294.

by Anonymousreply 295April 28, 2023 9:44 PM

Those aren't the Tony nominations. They are the TONY (Time Out New York) nominations.

Tony nods will be announced Tuesday morning.

by Anonymousreply 296April 28, 2023 9:44 PM

Nvm I feel like an idiot now

by Anonymousreply 297April 28, 2023 9:44 PM

The DL condoles you r297.

by Anonymousreply 298April 28, 2023 9:47 PM

And you also screwed up about Camelot. It got a nomination for best book.

by Anonymousreply 299April 28, 2023 9:47 PM

No genderless acting categories????!!!! The nerve!

by Anonymousreply 300April 28, 2023 9:50 PM

Ok I get it I screwed up. I work overnights and just woke up for work so I’m kind of groggy. It’s not like I called a cast recording a soundtrack or anything so please move on.

by Anonymousreply 301April 28, 2023 9:50 PM

What, you just woke up and thought it was Tuesday morning?

by Anonymousreply 302April 28, 2023 9:54 PM

R290, you're like the Marjorie Taylor Green of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 303April 28, 2023 9:55 PM

Broadway performers featured at the State Dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304April 28, 2023 10:01 PM

Will Leopoldstadt close after it loses all the awards?

by Anonymousreply 305April 28, 2023 10:05 PM

I admitted my guilt, ok? Have you ever worked overnights R302? You really don’t know what day it is when you wake up sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 306April 28, 2023 10:06 PM

Leopoldstadt will win Best Play. Bank.

by Anonymousreply 307April 28, 2023 10:06 PM

Don't worry about it, R306. We all fuck up sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 308April 28, 2023 10:10 PM

What, r304, no Patti?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 28, 2023 10:16 PM

Faye Castelow should have been nominated for Leopoldstadt. She was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 310April 28, 2023 10:17 PM

Faye still has a chance on Tuesday morning. I also happen to think that Leopoldstadt should at least be nominated for Best Set Design and Best Lighting Design, as well as Costume Design. And Arty Froushan for Best Shirtless Dragoon.

by Anonymousreply 311April 28, 2023 10:23 PM

Tin, tin, tin.

by Anonymousreply 312April 28, 2023 10:47 PM

[quote]Arty Froushan for Best Shirtless Dragoon.

Hard to imagine any situation in which a dragoon needs to wear a shirt.

by Anonymousreply 313April 28, 2023 10:57 PM

TONY put Alex Newell in Featured Actor category. Uh oh.

by Anonymousreply 314April 28, 2023 11:00 PM

I always thought Norm Lewis was prime straight beef, but that photo above does not do him any favors. Do all straight men eventually hit a wall?

by Anonymousreply 315April 28, 2023 11:40 PM

Norm’s a homo.

by Anonymousreply 316April 29, 2023 1:10 AM

[r316] oh really? I had always heard he was hetero

by Anonymousreply 317April 29, 2023 1:19 AM

..........and their story intersects with those of freshly invented characters—two Cuban immigrants, a Polish refugee, an English theater producer, an African American just back from the war, a violin teacher and the know-it-all native New Yorker who’s Jimmy’s best friend!!

by Anonymousreply 318April 29, 2023 1:20 AM

Focus, Stro...FOCUS!!!

by Anonymousreply 319April 29, 2023 1:24 AM

If Sweeney continues to be a hit throughout the year, do you think they'll try to replace Groban in 2024 or just give up and close? My impression is, his name is driving a lot of the strong sales. Yes, a couple of the other cast members have some following and contributing. And, yes, of course, Sweeney is a beloved property for theatre lovers, but it's definitely not just Sondheim heads who are filling the Lunt-Fontane at very high prices right now.

But, the thing is, I struggle to think of another actor who could do the role and the vocals justice who also has anywhere near Groban's name recognition or, apparent pull. If they put a talented but no-name theatre actor in the role, I imagine it will be another Hearn and Loudon situation and it will close pretty quickly.

And, yes, I know I'm making assumptions about it continuing to sell well into the new year.

by Anonymousreply 320April 29, 2023 3:20 AM

[Quote] I'm not trying to be contradictory.

And yet.

by Anonymousreply 321April 29, 2023 3:25 AM

[Quote] TONY put Alex Newell in Featured Actor category. Uh oh.

That’s what they prefer for Tonys too. Said so in an interview

by Anonymousreply 322April 29, 2023 3:29 AM

R320, perhaps Jake G?

by Anonymousreply 323April 29, 2023 3:43 AM

R323 - huh. Interesting idea. I wonder if he could sing deep enough for Sweeney. Though, of course, if expressed the least bit of interest, a producer would be insane not to cast him. And, of course, we know he's got Sondheim experience. I can't imagine him committing to more than a very limited run.

Apparently, Taron Egerton wants to do it, but I agree with him that he's too young...

[quote]Taron says his dream role is the title character in Stephen Sondheim‘s classic musical Sweeney Todd.

[quote]“At the moment I’m too young and not gruff enough, but I probably could do it at 40,” he said. “No one’s going to buy me as Sweeney just yet. I need to have accrued enough years to be that jaded and embittered.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324April 29, 2023 3:51 AM

[quote]She was a great talent on stage, and a rancid cunt as a person.

And that was on her good days.

by Anonymousreply 325April 29, 2023 4:03 AM

[quote]I wonder if he could sing deep enough for Sweeney. Though, of course, if expressed the least bit of interest, a producer would be insane not to cast him.

There is no way Jake G. could ever remotely handle that role vocally -- probably not even once, let alone seven or eight times a week. SWEENEY is a far, far more difficult sing than SUNDAY IN THE PARK or LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. But I'm sure it's a moot point because I'm sure Jake is smart enough to know this and would never put himself up for the role.

by Anonymousreply 326April 29, 2023 4:18 AM

R290, don't feel bad about your gaffe. We knew what it was and no one cares if you made a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 327April 29, 2023 4:49 AM

Why the hell has no one mentioned the delightfully named Caroline Innerbichler before.

Now THAT is a datalounge drag name if I ever heard one.

by Anonymousreply 328April 29, 2023 4:50 AM

Saw some video of Sweeney, from the mezz. Advice: don't sit in the orchestra, sit in the mezzanine, much better overall.

P.S. Josh Groban really can do it. His voice is surprisingly rich, and supple. His acting isn't Cariou's, but he's getting better and better.

by Anonymousreply 329April 29, 2023 5:00 AM

Aaron Tveit IS Sweeney Todd.

by Anonymousreply 330April 29, 2023 8:09 AM

R329- Why do you advise sitting in the mezz? I saw the show last week from house left orchestra, before the overhang of the mezz. Sound was superb and didn't miss anything visually, really.

Also, agreed on Groban. He's much better than folks have been saying. I'd honestly go back to see him and I went in hoping he'd be sick and I'd see his understudy/standby.

by Anonymousreply 331April 29, 2023 8:22 AM

[quote]I'd honestly go back to see him and I went in hoping he'd be sick and I'd see his understudy/standby.

Perhaps the ultimate DL sentence.

by Anonymousreply 332April 29, 2023 8:36 AM

They could always bring in a big name for Lovett opposite a lesser name for ST.

by Anonymousreply 333April 29, 2023 11:46 AM

[r333] and she can play a Tuba!

by Anonymousreply 334April 29, 2023 11:54 AM

If patti had opened this revival as well as the 05 one, could she have been nominated twice?

by Anonymousreply 335April 29, 2023 12:01 PM

R335, Andy Cohen asked Patti to name the five greatest theatre performances she’d ever seen the other evening, and she cited her performance in Gypsy as #1.

by Anonymousreply 336April 29, 2023 12:30 PM

R232, Accord to Riedel, Grizzard became so disgusted with Stritch that at one point he slugged her.

by Anonymousreply 337April 29, 2023 12:34 PM

[r377] from that same book she then went after him with a curling iron.

Can you imagine being Mary Beth Hurt in that shitshow?

by Anonymousreply 338April 29, 2023 1:29 PM

Do we really think Leopoldstadt will win?

by Anonymousreply 339April 29, 2023 2:10 PM

Some FB friends are waging a campaign to cast Raul Esparza and Toni Collette as replacements in SWEENEY TODD, both excellent ideas in my view if they'd consent to replace.

by Anonymousreply 340April 29, 2023 2:11 PM

Saw Sweeney last night and can confirm that Groban is getting better and better. (I also saw a late preview.) In fact, the show and audience were in synch on fire from the opening chords. As for Ashford, she has honed her performance to near perfection, every moment polished. Never have seen By the Sea stop the show. Her applause at curtain equaled that of Groban's. Yes, her Cockney is a bit off, but I went with four people from Great Britain and they thought the accent was charming. One of the most electrifying evenings I've had in the theatre in many moons.

I also had it confirmed that they've recorded the show, release date TBD.

by Anonymousreply 341April 29, 2023 2:19 PM

George Santos IS Sweeney Todd!

by Anonymousreply 342April 29, 2023 2:19 PM

R342, But, me first.

by Anonymousreply 343April 29, 2023 2:23 PM

[quote]George Santos IS Sweeney Todd!

...and Mrs. Lovett and Toby and Anthony and Joanna. But, in reality, he most fits the part of the beggar woman.

by Anonymousreply 344April 29, 2023 2:24 PM

He could pull off the Beadle

by Anonymousreply 345April 29, 2023 3:17 PM

[question]Newell identifies as gender nonconforming,[34] and in May 2020 said they relate to their character Mo in Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, who is genderfluid.[35] They have stated they go by all pronouns.[36][37] Newell also identifies as gay.[38]

Honest question, because I'm honestly confused. Given the quote above, from Wikipedia, doe this mean that one is free to refer to this Alex Newell person as "she," "he," OR "they" and any of those choices would be acceptable? If so, why do I ONLY see this person referred to as "they, them, their," as in this example. Do people just think it's safer to do it that way?

by Anonymousreply 346April 29, 2023 3:27 PM

He's a he, duh.

by Anonymousreply 347April 29, 2023 3:35 PM

He's yours,mine, and ours.

by Anonymousreply 348April 29, 2023 3:44 PM

Toni Colette isn’t coming to Broadway to replace someone.

by Anonymousreply 349April 29, 2023 3:46 PM

I love Toni Colette in film but it’s amazing to me how people on this board are obsessed with her being

1) Mrs Lovett

2) Roxie Hart

3) Mame

I feel like if she did all three in one weekend the two queens on here obsessed with this casting would have multiple orgasms

by Anonymousreply 350April 29, 2023 3:53 PM

They just want her back on Broadway in a musical, r350. If you saw her in Wild Party, you'd know why.

by Anonymousreply 351April 29, 2023 3:55 PM

[quote]does this mean that one is free to refer to Alex Newell as "she," "he," OR "they" and any of those choices would be acceptable?

Yes.

[quote]If so, why do I ONLY see this person referred to as "they, them, their," as in this example. Do people just think it's safer to do it that way?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 352April 29, 2023 3:56 PM

I feel like Alex Newell is totally in on the grift and figured- this is a way I can make myself stand out, but if you expect me to actually swallow this bullshit, you're off your ass.

by Anonymousreply 353April 29, 2023 4:57 PM

[quote]He could pull off the Beadle

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 354April 29, 2023 5:18 PM

R351 is not kidding. Collette onstage is much like Laurie Metcalfe: her performances in film and TV give no indication of how incredible she is onstage. I couldn’t take my eyes off her in The Wild Party. She owned that stage, which was also shared by Eartha Kitt, Mandy Patinkin and a lot of others with a lot of star wattage.

by Anonymousreply 355April 29, 2023 6:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356April 29, 2023 6:11 PM

Isn't Justin Timberlake on the short list to replace Groban?

by Anonymousreply 357April 29, 2023 6:25 PM

Wow - Toni Collette was fantastic in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 358April 29, 2023 6:26 PM

If Gypsy is revived again (and it will be) Toni C for Rose.

by Anonymousreply 359April 29, 2023 6:40 PM

I appreciated Wild Party, but I didn't really enjoy being at *that* party with *those* people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360April 29, 2023 6:48 PM

Ashford’s Lovett is absurdly broad and slapstick. It’s like Carol Burnett or Lucy playing the part. She gets laughs at the expense of character and pathos. Totally Tommy “how do i direct this?” Kail’s fault…

by Anonymousreply 361April 29, 2023 7:00 PM

[r359] sorry prepare to be disappointed….the next Rose is going to be Audra. She’s been prepping for it in concerts doing “Rose’s Turn”

There is a big push to have the next Rose be a WOC.

by Anonymousreply 362April 29, 2023 7:22 PM

r362 Will Alex Newell play Louise or June?

by Anonymousreply 363April 29, 2023 7:28 PM

Pockchop for Louise!

by Anonymousreply 364April 29, 2023 7:29 PM

Alex for Miss Mazeppa, of course!

by Anonymousreply 365April 29, 2023 7:57 PM

This thread needs some dancing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366April 29, 2023 8:12 PM

R362, With a Caucasian Louise?

by Anonymousreply 367April 29, 2023 8:13 PM

may be of interest ... runs down the songs and original source material from NY NY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368April 29, 2023 8:25 PM

It is hard to believe that Toni Collette was the second choice for Wild Party.

She only got it when Vanessa Williams backed out.

by Anonymousreply 369April 29, 2023 8:30 PM

The opening number for "New York, New York" is a repurposed song from a Hamilton side project? I know Kander is in his nineties, but that's so lazy and lame.

by Anonymousreply 370April 29, 2023 8:40 PM

[Quote] There is a big push to have the next Rose be a WOC.

Where is this “big push”?

by Anonymousreply 371April 29, 2023 9:06 PM

I don't dislike Audra but I don't suspect her Rose would be particularly revelatory in any way, shape or form. Other than sung somewhat well.

by Anonymousreply 372April 29, 2023 9:25 PM

[quote]Some FB friends are waging a campaign to cast Raul Esparza and Toni Collette as replacements in SWEENEY TODD, both excellent ideas in my view if they'd consent to replace.

[quote]Toni Colette isn’t coming to Broadway to replace someone.

Neither is Raul, r349.

by Anonymousreply 373April 29, 2023 9:58 PM

Oh, I bet he would.

by Anonymousreply 374April 29, 2023 10:13 PM

Funny, r372.- I think her singing would be my concern. She always brings a unique perspective to her characterization and has the acting chops to pull it off.

I’ve seen Ragtime in many productions, and many Sarahs sang the big stuff well. What i remember about Audra is her sitting upstairs while Coalhouse sang in New Music. She was silent, but fully present - knitting away at something with all of her anger and resistance. When I saw it on tour, the Sarah just sat there acting up a storm of untethered emotions.

Her voice is very good, but for me her operatic urges are offputting. However, I love her as an actress. I’ve seen her in a lot, and never saw a false moment. Her Lady Day was just haunting.

by Anonymousreply 375April 29, 2023 10:15 PM

R375 - same. No doubt about her acting ability, and, as lovely as her voice CAN be, when she tries to 'belt' her sound is so... shrill. I think, sonically, her Rose would be... unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 376April 30, 2023 12:26 AM

We need to get Audra to start smoking.

by Anonymousreply 377April 30, 2023 12:43 AM

MikeR always wasn't as confidently and defiantly out and proud as he became. I still remember the night I became a man, in a private booth of the back room of the San Jose Capital Grille for our cast party of The Music Man. The things MikeR could do under the cover of a tablecloth without another patron or waiter knowing was amazing -- what an incredibly strong grip he had, too. I fondly recall that first time I felt that vice grip under the table as he leaned in and whispered in my ear....

[quote]You know, I'm not gay. I've done stuff with mlop and Ann.

I'll never know if that was true or just the bluff of a man still finding his way fully out of the closet, but either way, that was one of the best nights I've ever had at a suburban chain steakhouse.

by Anonymousreply 378April 30, 2023 1:20 AM

At this point in time, there aren't many actresses who could deliver a revelatory portrayal or unique perspective of Rose.

Perhaps it's a shame that Streisand didn't get that GYPSY film made in the 1990s. Was she even considering it back then?

by Anonymousreply 379April 30, 2023 1:55 AM

I think Raul would totally be up for replacing Josh, especially if it were opposite the likes of Toni Collette. Their casting would certainly be an event and get me into the theater.

If Josh leaves the production and it's still presumably selling out (unlike when Lansbury and Cariou were replaced by Loudon and Hearn), it would seem to be a lucrative and tempting proposition with the only drawback being the lack of a Tony Award.

by Anonymousreply 380April 30, 2023 2:06 AM

So has anyone read Chita’s book yet? Is there anything really good juicy gossip wise?

by Anonymousreply 381April 30, 2023 2:08 AM

R381, Chita mildly trashes Liza.

by Anonymousreply 382April 30, 2023 3:16 AM

Chita is a pro and Liza was anything but during The Rink. Showing up in bad shape, forgetting lines or just not showing up at all. In the short run Chita played opposite Liza, Lenora Nemetz, Mary Testa and Stockard. Liza"s heart was in the right place because the show wouldn't have ended up on Broadway without her but it was a shit show.

by Anonymousreply 383April 30, 2023 3:25 AM

r381 - Michael Musto has some tidbits -- nothing too juicy. I'm kind of surprised to hear about a potential screentest for West Side Story. Kind of assumed that wasn't even offered to her. I imagine Rita would have still gotten it even if Chita did screentest, though. Chita was, hands down, far more of a triple threat and a far more accomplished dancer than Rita, but she was never as pretty as Rita.

I wouldn't say she shits on Liza, but she certainly.... brings her down a peg. She apparently speaks about their short run together in Chicago as well. Speaking of which, she apparently wasn't a huge fan of the Chicago revival.

[quote]The aforementioned Chita Rivera (the original Anita in West Side Story, for any straights out there) just released Chita, A Memoir, and it’s as readable as you’d expect. Among the revelations in the book (written with Patrick Pacheco): Chita says that she turned down the screen test for the Oscar-winning 1961 film adaptation of West Side Story. I asked her publicist for more detail, and the reply was, “Chita recalls that when the call came through her agent, she had scheduling conflicts that prevented her from flying to California for it.” One wonders if Chita would have gotten her kicks on the big screen if not for that twist of fate.

[quote]Another interesting section has to do with Chicago, the now legendary show she co-starred in with Gwen Verdon in 1975. I was there at one of the performances where Liza Minnelli, at the peak of her powers, subbed for Verdon. It was astonishing, but Chita has it right when she writes, “Even though Liza was rapturously received, I never thought she outshone me during her short run. She had her strengths. I had mine. She sang more. I danced more.” They were fab together — though imho, their reteaming for 1984’s The Rink gave Chita a Tony-winning star turn and Liza a meh daughter role.

[quote]Meanwhile, the still-running revival of Chicago—the second longest-running production in Broadway history (Phantom of the Opera was #1)—has never been Chita’s favorite. “I just didn’t think it came anywhere close to the radiance of the original version,” she confesses in the book. (Having seen both, I have to agree. The revival is scaled down and made sense to the public after the O.J. trial underlined what “celebrity justice” really means, but the original — whether with Rivera/Verdon or Rivera/Minnelli — was absolutely transcendent in its brilliantly bawdy satire.) Anyway, in 1999, Chita got to play Roxie in London and explains, “Playing Roxie again, in Vegas, I got to respect the adaptation. What had been sacrificed to keep costs down has been compensated with longer runs, giving more people the chance to see Chicago.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384April 30, 2023 3:43 AM

R383, I saw it twice and must have hit two of Liza’s good nights because she was fine.

Liza dumped her unflattering shapeless costume and took her curtain call in a slinky red Halston gown.

by Anonymousreply 385April 30, 2023 3:44 AM

[quote]I fondly recall that first time I felt that vice grip under the table

So the police showed up?

by Anonymousreply 386April 30, 2023 3:46 AM

R384, Liza insisted on performing My Own Best Friend as a solo.

by Anonymousreply 387April 30, 2023 3:50 AM

Interested in hearing some Grey House reports. I’m seeing it in May. I can’t get enough Laurie Metcalf, I think she is the most naturalistic actor in theater since Laurette Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 388April 30, 2023 4:48 AM

[quote]So the police showed up?

Is that why we don't hear from him anymore? Doing 10-15 upstate?

by Anonymousreply 389April 30, 2023 5:29 AM

r388, there are 2 or 3 reports on THE GREY HOUSE from the first preview already up at BroadwayWorld.com's Chat Room. Not terribly scintillating, puzzled by what the show is trying to say, and they seem to agree that Laurie Metcalf is somewhat wasted. As these things go, I suspect the chat will only get more critical as more discerning (bitchier) people see the show.

by Anonymousreply 390April 30, 2023 12:08 PM

That’s disappointing Metcalf is being wasted. She seems to have an ironclad relationship with Joe Mantello at this point and will follow him anywhere.

I wonder why he works really well with Laurie but working with Megan Mullally turned into such a shitshow for both of them

by Anonymousreply 391April 30, 2023 1:13 PM

Because Megan Mullally is a stone cunt.

by Anonymousreply 392April 30, 2023 2:41 PM

Andrew Rannells just posted a selfie on Instagram stories with Tuc Watkins. So I guess they didn’t break up after all

by Anonymousreply 393April 30, 2023 3:02 PM

R393, They rendezvoused in Rome.

by Anonymousreply 394April 30, 2023 3:24 PM

R391. Mullaly, while very talented, is a bit of a diva—she already was in college (I observed her firsthand)—professional but very clear that she knows best. I get the feeling that Metcalf, given all her years with Steppenwolf, while a star in her own right, also plays well with others.

by Anonymousreply 395April 30, 2023 6:43 PM

I’d like to hear more about “Grey House” and whether it would be worth a ticket.

I saw Laurie Metcalf in “Three Tall Women” back in 2018. I had initially gotten tickets because I really wanted to see Glenda Jackson (and she did not disappoint) but I was truly blown away by Metcalf. She had this ferocious and angry monologue at the lip of the stage late in the play that was just unforgettable. I still think about it. I’m very glad they both received Tonys that year. They were well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 396April 30, 2023 7:29 PM

God how I wish I'd seen her as Martha.

by Anonymousreply 397April 30, 2023 7:36 PM

I wish I'd seen her in Balm in Gilead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398April 30, 2023 7:47 PM

[quote][R391]. Mullaly, while very talented, is a bit of a diva—she already was in college (I observed her firsthand)—professional but very clear that she knows best. I get the feeling that Metcalf, given all her years with Steppenwolf, while a star in her own right, also plays well with others.

I've worked with them both, r395, and you are correct on both accounts. Metcalf is lovely woman. Mullaly, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 399April 30, 2023 7:51 PM

Making Mr. Right

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400April 30, 2023 8:19 PM

Laurie spent years working with Roseann and survived.

by Anonymousreply 401April 30, 2023 8:19 PM

Laurie Metcalf does seem egoless, however, I did listen to the podcast of Megan and her husband that was about bullying and it was hard not to sympathize with her.

However….I think it’s interesting that nobody has said a shit word against Debra, so her rep outside of this situation seems to be good. So I don’t know who or what to believe

by Anonymousreply 402April 30, 2023 8:48 PM

Debra had abortion bloat.

by Anonymousreply 403April 30, 2023 9:08 PM

I resisted seeing this production of Parade because I wasn’t crazy about the original. Glad I changed my mind. This one is so much better. Better sung, better staging, and much more emotional.

by Anonymousreply 404April 30, 2023 10:44 PM

Well everyone bashing our original production can go fuck themselves!

by Anonymousreply 405May 1, 2023 12:10 AM

I don't think Laurie will be too old to play to Martha in the next few years so hopefully she and Joe M will revisit the show. And with Russell Tovey and Patsy Ferran as planned. Rupert, Everett, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 406May 1, 2023 12:54 AM

I never never never need to sit through Virginia Woolf again

by Anonymousreply 407May 1, 2023 1:13 AM

Parade is 100% better today.

by Anonymousreply 408May 1, 2023 1:59 AM

I saw Laurie Metcalf in Balm in Gilead. Three times. The 2nd time, we sat behind Bruce Springsteen and his then girlfriend, who became his wife, but then he divorced her.

by Anonymousreply 409May 1, 2023 2:01 AM

[quote]I never never never need to sit through Virginia Woolf again.

I feel the same way,

by Anonymousreply 410May 1, 2023 2:01 AM

R406, she is already too old.

No one would ever buy her as a 52 year old.

Her menopause was so far back that any idiot would know the boy was imaginary.

by Anonymousreply 411May 1, 2023 2:04 AM

I would love to see Toni Collette play Martha!

by Anonymousreply 412May 1, 2023 2:24 AM

So what will be the biggest upsets tomorrow morning who will be shockingly egregiously left out?

by Anonymousreply 413May 1, 2023 11:34 AM

R413, Some Like It Hot will receive a surprisingly impressive number of nominations.

by Anonymousreply 414May 1, 2023 11:43 AM

Does anybody really care? It's such a flat season.

by Anonymousreply 415May 1, 2023 12:11 PM

Would love to see Chastain snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 416May 1, 2023 12:12 PM

As well as the entirety of Bad Cinderella, so it can live down to its name.

by Anonymousreply 417May 1, 2023 12:12 PM

Would love to see Porkalob nominated, just to see all of your heads twist like Reagan McNeil in The Exorcist, which I'd be happy to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 418May 1, 2023 12:13 PM

Just send us a selfie r418. Your twisty neck is sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 419May 1, 2023 12:19 PM

Sam Jackson Wendell pierce Sean Hayes BOTH Topdog guys Life of pi guy Fat ham guy Tough category

by Anonymousreply 420May 1, 2023 12:20 PM

I saw Laurie Metcalf and Austin Pendleton off Broadway in Educating Rita decades ago and I still remember her performance.

by Anonymousreply 421May 1, 2023 12:44 PM

R420: Oscar Isaac, as well.

by Anonymousreply 422May 1, 2023 1:54 PM

I saw Laurie Metcalf at the National Theatre, London in All My Sons and I'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 423May 1, 2023 2:15 PM

R423, And she was robbed of an Oscar for “Ladybird”.

by Anonymousreply 424May 1, 2023 2:26 PM

Variety gives its Tony nom predictions:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425May 1, 2023 2:38 PM

Most interesting to me about the Variety predictions is that Sean Hayes won't be nominated. And I agree.

by Anonymousreply 426May 1, 2023 2:46 PM

Gaten unfairly left out

And looks like they could have predicated [italic] Dancin’ [/italic] and left It off on purpose. Too bad I enjoyed it though very imperfect

by Anonymousreply 427May 1, 2023 3:04 PM

R426, He will be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 428May 1, 2023 3:05 PM

I wish we could fill this thread today and start fresh tomorrow morning, but that feels unlikely.

Whatever we do, there should not be a separate nominations thread please God

by Anonymousreply 429May 1, 2023 3:05 PM

There usually isn't, R429, so relax your crack.

by Anonymousreply 430May 1, 2023 3:11 PM

why so it can be prolapsed like yours?

by Anonymousreply 431May 1, 2023 3:19 PM

I watched MAKING MR RIGHT last week - and watching Laurie Metcalf in it was just like seeing Zoe Perry, her daughter now in YOUNG SHELDON.....it was eerie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432May 1, 2023 3:24 PM

I can make more Laurie Metcalf posts to help fill it up!

Laurie appeared uncomfortable at the stage door during “Three Tall Women.” Not mean or anything and she did sign our playbills. But she wanted to get the fuck out of there and it showed. Glenda, on the other hand, stayed until the last fan had gotten a picture with her and/or received a signature. She was very warm.

Allison Pill had some stage manager come out to inform everyone that “Allison would not be signing playbills today” and we all just laughed like who the fuck cares, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 433May 1, 2023 4:03 PM

Laurie Metcalf hit me in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 434May 1, 2023 4:07 PM

*autograph

by Anonymousreply 435May 1, 2023 4:09 PM

I can imagine Laurie might be wary of fans because her persona (the characters she's often played) from TV and films makes her seem very accessible and approachable and she probably gets accosted by nutty strangers all the time.

by Anonymousreply 436May 1, 2023 4:15 PM

The Atlantic Theatre Company website claims Kimberly Akimbo is closing at the Booth in early August. Fat Ham is closing earlier than announced. Will it make a difference to Tony voters?

by Anonymousreply 437May 1, 2023 4:21 PM

Are Variety predictions usually accurate?

by Anonymousreply 438May 1, 2023 4:23 PM

Shucked is selling tix through January. I don't think it's going anywhere. Wouldn't a Best Musical win be a hoot?

by Anonymousreply 439May 1, 2023 4:26 PM

Fat Ham is closing 6 weeks early? I'm shucked, I tell you, shucked!

by Anonymousreply 440May 1, 2023 4:32 PM

R436, I’m sure you’re right about that. And she was perfectly fine, just not as warm as we were expecting her to be. She was chummy and gave a little bit more to Zachary Quinto and Matt Bomer who were also in our audience for that TTW performance (and who we had seen in “The Boys in the Band” the night before).

I thought Glenda Jackson was going to be cold and intimidating and I could not have been more mistaken. She was even nicer the next year at the “King Lear” stage door when she and Ruth Wilson were joined at the hip. Ruth was lovely and kept pointing at Glenda and saying, “Can you believe her? Just incredible.”

by Anonymousreply 441May 1, 2023 4:33 PM

*whom

by Anonymousreply 442May 1, 2023 4:35 PM

I think Laurie Metcalf has social anxiety disorder. She seems like the type that is really good one on one but not good in a crowd atmosphere

by Anonymousreply 443May 1, 2023 4:35 PM

R433, I saw 'Three Tall Women' right after the Tonys that year, and had a similar experience at the stage door, though Alison Pill did sign Playbills that night. Laurie Metcalf was accommodating to her fans, and was appreciative when I congratulated her on her amazing year (Oscar nomination for Lady Bird and a Tony win), but she seems genuinely shy and low-key and not comfortable when the attention is on her as a person versus her as a character. Her younger daughter, who looked to be 12 or 13, was there with her and she may have wanted to get her home, too.

It's unfortunate if she is being wasted in 'Grey House,' but at least she is back on Broadway in a Joe Mantello production. Theater is her main source of high quality work, and the pandemic + Scott Rudin's cancellation (he was the producer of both of her Tony-winning plays and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf) hurt her momentum. I hope that coming back to Broadway this year, even in a limited role, will open the door for more substantial opportunities in the future. She is one of the greatest actors I have ever seen perform live.

by Anonymousreply 444May 1, 2023 4:45 PM

Metcalf is wonderful, I agree. And Glenda Jackson in THREE TALL WOMEN was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 445May 1, 2023 4:59 PM

But that Hillary play

by Anonymousreply 446May 1, 2023 5:15 PM

Glenda was indeed masterful in THREE TALL WOMEN. An incredibly well deserved Tony win.

She should have at least been nominated for KING LEAR the following year, although I’m happy that they recognized Ruth Wilson as Cordelia/The Fool who was best in show.

by Anonymousreply 447May 1, 2023 5:54 PM

[quote]Does anybody really care? It's such a flat season.

We occasionally have to discuss something other than "Follies," even in a flat season.

by Anonymousreply 448May 1, 2023 5:56 PM

Do we really think the nominations won't cater to the recent "Let's nominate BIPOC artists first and foremost!" agenda?

by Anonymousreply 449May 1, 2023 6:03 PM

I was kind of underwhelmed by Mantello's production of Three Tall Women. Perhaps it was because I had seen the original (which I thought was tremendous). By that time, Myra Carter had left, Marian Seldes moved into her role and Joan Van Ark had moved into Marian's role. (Jordan Baker was still in it and all three women were marvelous).

I also think the set and the theater itself made the play feel remote. Seeing it at the old Promenade was so intimate, and the staging was so intimate. Mantello's production was all about a gigantic mirror to me.

by Anonymousreply 450May 1, 2023 6:20 PM

All three women holding hands together at the end of the play all the way downstage was so powerful to me when I saw it. It was unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 451May 1, 2023 6:38 PM

Three Tall Women was my first time seeing Glenda Jackson on stage. I was surprised at how much I disliked her performance. I wish I had a better recall/memory of the performance, but I distinctly recall being in the minority and finding her very one-note and perhaps a bit actory? Or was that another performance I caught on video?

by Anonymousreply 452May 1, 2023 8:19 PM

I think prognosticators have been underestimating “Leopoldstadt” in the acting categories. It’s a *very* successful production for a straight play and that doesn't usually just translate into only one acting nomination. I’m betting that Krumholz, Uranowitz, and Castelow all get in.

by Anonymousreply 453May 1, 2023 8:20 PM

Is SHUCKED moving into the St. James?

by Anonymousreply 454May 1, 2023 8:31 PM

I'm still betting on John David Washington getting in.

by Anonymousreply 455May 1, 2023 9:05 PM

As long as Denzel doesn't tag along.

by Anonymousreply 456May 1, 2023 9:25 PM

The only time I saw Glenda Jackson on stage was years ago in Strange Interlude. I thought she was dreadful. (And I love her on screen.)

by Anonymousreply 457May 1, 2023 9:29 PM

There's a reason Strange Interlude isn't done often, r457.

by Anonymousreply 458May 1, 2023 9:33 PM

Glenda’s “comeback” was just so unexpected. You never thought you’d see her act again. That was part of the thrill of the “Three Tall Women” performance.

Allison Pill was the weak link of that cast but she was serviceable.

by Anonymousreply 459May 1, 2023 10:03 PM

My friend and I still use the “Allison Pill will NOT be signing playbills today” line.

by Anonymousreply 460May 1, 2023 10:08 PM

Tell me about it, r458.

by Anonymousreply 461May 1, 2023 10:29 PM

Why the hell does Joe Mantello have such a hard on for Allison Pill? That role in 3 Tall Women could have been played by hundreds of better (and taller!) NY actresses.

And r450 I agree with everything you said about the original production at The Promenade, which I was fortunate to see with all the original actresses. So much more powerful in that small theater. Mantello's production became all about the tricks of the set. And Laurie Metcalf in sneakers, for fuck's sake!

by Anonymousreply 462May 1, 2023 10:59 PM

AS much as I loved Marian Seldes in the original production, I didn't truly appreciate her perofrmance until I saw it in London. Frances De la Tour played 2 and though she was great, I realized that all the weird stuff Marion did in the original was not in the script, it was her.

by Anonymousreply 463May 1, 2023 11:04 PM

"Strange Interlude"

"Count them all as one, and that one a ghost of nothing, that is to me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464May 1, 2023 11:17 PM

I didn't realize Stephen McKinley Henderson was in the new Ari Aster film until he showed up in the first scene. I love when actors have late career renaissances like he's had.

by Anonymousreply 465May 1, 2023 11:22 PM

Love SMH.

by Anonymousreply 466May 1, 2023 11:31 PM

He was also great in “Causeway” last year with JLaw and Academy Award nominee Brian Tyree Henry.

by Anonymousreply 467May 2, 2023 12:10 AM

They’re always a few high profile snubs/surprises.

Best Actor in a Musical. I’m thinking either Ben Platt or Josh Groban are snubbed.

Best Actress in a Musical. The list of predictions seem pretty on the nose.

Best Actor Play Sean Hayes is the wild card. I bet he is nominated.

Best Actress in a Play. Jodie Comer vs Jessica Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 468May 2, 2023 12:11 AM

If Ben or Josh get snubbed, R468, does that mean that both Some Like It Hot leads get in?

by Anonymousreply 469May 2, 2023 12:13 AM

What was the Deb Messing/ Megan M brouhaha? I knew they were on the outs but never heard the scoop.

by Anonymousreply 470May 2, 2023 12:22 AM

There is NO way Christina Borle will be nominated. I feel like even the enthusiasm for Ghee and Del Aguira (is that the name?) has lessened as SLIH rambles on with middling box office. My guess is they'll be lucky to win Best Choreography and Costumes and send out a non-Eq tour in the fall with the Broadway sets and costumes.

by Anonymousreply 471May 2, 2023 1:30 AM

Ooof. Christina was auto-correct. I wouldn't be that disrespectful.

by Anonymousreply 472May 2, 2023 1:31 AM

Oh I miss The Promenade.

by Anonymousreply 473May 2, 2023 1:37 AM

I think Platt and Groban will not be snubbed. Groban, like Lea, is bringing in lots of $$ to the theater. Platt will ride the wave of Parade noms.

by Anonymousreply 474May 2, 2023 2:08 AM

What did you see there, r473?

by Anonymousreply 475May 2, 2023 2:23 AM

I'd be greatly surprised if Josh doesn't get nominated. He might not win -- after all, the seemingly foolproof situation of Hugh Jackman getting another Tony didn't happen last year -- but he's certainly getting nominated.

by Anonymousreply 476May 2, 2023 2:30 AM

I like Christian Borle a lot but he really didn’t do anything Tony-worthy in SLIH. Ghee, yes, but Borle, no.

by Anonymousreply 477May 2, 2023 2:32 AM

R475. Tryst, Tea at Five' Three Tall Women, Lisbon Traviata among others. What a gem of a theatre.

by Anonymousreply 478May 2, 2023 2:33 AM

I saw all those shows at The Promenade, too, r478.

Greta theater space, what a loss.

by Anonymousreply 479May 2, 2023 2:40 AM

If you look at a list of the Tony nominators, I'll bet you've never heard of most of them. In any case, I don't think they nominate actors because they're grateful they're selling tickets.

by Anonymousreply 480May 2, 2023 2:42 AM

My first time going to the Promenade was 1990, for some horrible Jules Feiffer play. (Is there any other kind?) Anthony Heald and Christine Baranski. Hated the show, loved the theater. Returned many times over the next decade. My last show was another stinker, Madame Melville, with Macauley Culkin and Joely Richardson (but I did discover the talents of Robin Weigert in that show). I hate that they closed it down. So many great Off-Broadway spaces are gone, even many that opened in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 481May 2, 2023 2:46 AM

I guess I only saw two shows at the Promenade. Power Plays (with both casts) and The Waverly Gallery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482May 2, 2023 2:47 AM

Thank you for posting that glorious clip of Cherry and Heckie, r482. Two treasures!!

by Anonymousreply 483May 2, 2023 2:55 AM

It used to be that you could count on at least one closing notice being posted on Tony Nominations Day. My money's on Bad Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 484May 2, 2023 3:50 AM

[quote]I didn't realize Stephen McKinley Henderson was in the new Ari Aster film until he showed up in the first scene. I love when actors have late career renaissances like he's had.

He is an interesting guy, r465. I'm happy for him, also.

by Anonymousreply 485May 2, 2023 4:02 AM

Josh and Ben will be nominated because they are names people recognize and the Tonys needs to add to its viewership. 350 gay NY theater queens is not enough of a television audience.

by Anonymousreply 486May 2, 2023 7:49 AM

It is for the discerning advertiser.

by Anonymousreply 487May 2, 2023 8:38 AM

Can anyone tell me what time the Tony Nominations are announced?

by Anonymousreply 488May 2, 2023 9:45 AM

I wonder if Gavin Creel will be the FIRST Prince not nominated. Even the last 2002 revival, the prince was nominated.

For Into the Woods, the nominated characters have been

Witch 2002

Bakers Wife 1987

Prince/Wolf. 1987, 2002

Cinderella. 2002

The Narrator/Mysterious Man. 2002

This year seems like Little Red Riding Hood will join the list.

The Baker and Jack have never been nominated. Only the Wife has ever won.

by Anonymousreply 489May 2, 2023 10:01 AM

Here are the lead acting nominations, announced at 8:30 this morning. The remaining nominations will be announced at 9:00:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490May 2, 2023 12:50 PM

If Broadway were truly interested in diversity, nominators would give a Tony nomination to Milky White... or did the name and color of the cow have to be changed? Maybe if it declared itself non-binary, things would be fine.

by Anonymousreply 491May 2, 2023 12:52 PM

I'm shocked that Laura Linney was left out of the lead actress in a play nominations, especially considering that they only did four nominees and dropped the fifth slot.

by Anonymousreply 492May 2, 2023 12:55 PM

Borle is bullshit. If he appears he gets nominated

by Anonymousreply 493May 2, 2023 12:58 PM

R492: I think they could only nominate four in Lead Actress in a Play since there were only seven potential nominees.

by Anonymousreply 494May 2, 2023 1:01 PM

[QUOTE] I wonder if Gavin Creel will be the FIRST Prince not nominated.

We’ll wonder no more! He didn’t get nominated. They nominated Baker’s Wife and Little Red Riding Hood.

The Jessica Hecht nomination seemed like the only shocker in the acting races. Both Cost of Living getting in might be another since I didn’t see that anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 495May 2, 2023 1:15 PM

I'm happy Miriam Silverman received a nomination. She gave the best performance in Sidney Brustein.

by Anonymousreply 496May 2, 2023 1:16 PM

SLIH most nominations with 13.

by Anonymousreply 497May 2, 2023 1:16 PM

Bad Cinderella with a big fat zero.

by Anonymousreply 498May 2, 2023 1:20 PM

Gaten was robbed. By Donica or Sewell

by Anonymousreply 499May 2, 2023 1:20 PM

Juliet did much better than I expected

by Anonymousreply 500May 2, 2023 1:25 PM

No Soo for either Camelot or ITW is pretty shocking. Audra? I forgot she was even on Broadway this season.

by Anonymousreply 501May 2, 2023 1:30 PM

R501, Audra nominated, Will not nominated. Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 502May 2, 2023 1:37 PM

R414 called it.

by Anonymousreply 503May 2, 2023 1:39 PM

Christian Borle stole Will Swenson’s nomination.

by Anonymousreply 504May 2, 2023 1:40 PM

That Miriam Silverman nom was low-hanging fruit. I saw both her and her understudy at BAM and anyone could have played that part. It's the writing, not the acting. The Broadway equivalent of Maria in WSS at the Oscars. Nowhere near the best performance in the play, but at least better than the two nepo babies.

by Anonymousreply 505May 2, 2023 1:40 PM

Meant Anita, no clue why the fuck I said Maria.

by Anonymousreply 506May 2, 2023 1:47 PM

[quote]at least better than the two nepo babies

I didn't realize the actress who played Gloria was a nepo baby until this post. She gave the most bafflingly bad performance I've seen since Matthew Broderick in "It's Only a Play."

by Anonymousreply 507May 2, 2023 1:48 PM

What a shitshow

by Anonymousreply 508May 2, 2023 1:52 PM

R492: Unfortunately it looks like Jessica Chastain has it wrapped up.

by Anonymousreply 509May 2, 2023 2:09 PM

Jessica is really on a roll right now. Oscar, SAG, now a potential Tony. And she’ll be nominated for an Emmy for “George and Tammy” soon.

Girl could EGOT in record time.

by Anonymousreply 510May 2, 2023 2:10 PM

I think it's between Chastain and Comer.

by Anonymousreply 511May 2, 2023 2:11 PM

I hope it goes to Comer. I'm sick of the Chastain fatigue.

by Anonymousreply 512May 2, 2023 2:13 PM

I have a voting question that I hope someone with more knowledge than me might be able to answer. It is my understanding that in order to vote in a category, a voter must have seen every show nominated in said category—and that attendance is logged.

KPOP only ran for a few weeks, so it's likely that very few voters even had a chance to see it. Does that mean that the number of voters who can actually vote in Best Score and Best Choreography this year is significantly smaller than usual?

by Anonymousreply 513May 2, 2023 2:15 PM

DANCIN’ was snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 514May 2, 2023 2:17 PM

It'll go to Comer. It's a much more dynamic, exciting performance than Chastain sitting in a chair for two hours, and with Prima not in the running for Best Play, the Best Actress category is where the voters can support it. I think the same scenario will play out for Sean Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 515May 2, 2023 2:19 PM

Wow. What to say when nominations for Best Book of a Musical include NY, NY and SLIH. Damn.

Even better, Best Score includes Almost Famous, with lyrics by, erm, Cameron Crowe, and KPOP?

If only Starmites premiered this season, it likely would’ve swept the boards.

by Anonymousreply 516May 2, 2023 2:23 PM

No Burnap. I’ll console him.

by Anonymousreply 517May 2, 2023 2:24 PM

Well, I can answer my own question. It seems they changed the rule for this season (but only for this season)—voters are allowed to miss out on seeing one nominee per category and still vote in said category.

Okay, carry on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518May 2, 2023 2:24 PM

Why Hecht and no Linney? Isn’t it a two-hander?

by Anonymousreply 519May 2, 2023 2:24 PM

I’m glad that Ruthie Ann Miles got in.

by Anonymousreply 520May 2, 2023 2:25 PM

Saw production of Sweeney Todd in Amsterdam over the weekend and it was great. Fabulous cast and orchestra. Dialogue and lyrics are in Dutch. The setting concept was a co-ed penitentiary which worked most of the time. No onstage oven for Mrs. Lovett to get tossed in, unfortunately. Good ideas in it, like a Last Supper tableaux at the start of Act 2 and poor Toby getting electric shock therapy in Act 1 and the electric chair in Act 2. And Sweeney giving Toby a shard of glass to murder him with. And in “A Little Priest” Mrs. Lovett uses a flashlight on some members of the audience. For “the financier/bank cashier” lyric she pointed it at ME. Probably because I was more well dressed than the others. Isn’t it already in the show that she almost strangles poor Toby with the scarf she just made for him? The screaming factory whistle is in this production- it still isn’t in the current Broadway revival, right? Of course Johanna is black (both parents are white) but she had a beautiful voice so I let that slide. The Anthony was the best I’ve ever seen out of the four productions I’ve seen in NY and London over the years and yes, I do include Victor Garber’s in the original Broadway cast. Judge Turpin is played by a guy who’s about 6’7” and he’s burly, too. His basso profundo voice was so beautiful it almost made me weep. He sang the first couple of lines of “The Ballad of Sweeney Todd” and his “bum diddy bum bums” in “Pretty Women” were absolutely gorgeous. So good. I know…MARY! The guy playing Sweeney was really good. But he’s far outclassed by his Mrs. Lovett who’s played by the biggest musical star in The Netherlands, 65 year old Simone Kleinsma. And she’s fucking amazing.

Seeing a big new production of Les Miserables tomorrow night but the city it’s in (Apeldoorn) is too far away (an hour and a half journey, at least) I’ll just leave at intermission. I know how it ends and it’s too depressing, anyway. I’ll leave on the high of “One Day More,” so it could be worse.

by Anonymousreply 521May 2, 2023 2:28 PM

It's ridiculous when one actor in a two hander gets nominated and the other doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 522May 2, 2023 2:28 PM

There are a lot of videos of Simone Kleinsma on YouTube. Her Roxie is amazing.

Here is the trailer for the production R521 talked about.

There is also a recording of Simone Kleinsma singing Worst Pies from a few years ago if you look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523May 2, 2023 2:41 PM

Lots of POC nominated. I’m sure they’ll find something to gripe about tho.

by Anonymousreply 524May 2, 2023 2:42 PM

Why does Toby get the electric chair? Because he kills Todd? Think that would be considered a noble deed.

by Anonymousreply 525May 2, 2023 2:54 PM

So Hayes is competing with four black men for Best Actor. Will there be a dust up if he wins?

by Anonymousreply 526May 2, 2023 2:57 PM

R524: Broadway has always been kinder to POC than Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 527May 2, 2023 2:58 PM

No Special Tony for Lea? Or could that still come?

by Anonymousreply 528May 2, 2023 3:01 PM

Please, just write " black" instead of "POC." There are other colors too.

by Anonymousreply 529May 2, 2023 3:03 PM

[quote]Wow. What to say when nominations for Best Book of a Musical include NY, NY and SLIH. Damn.

I had the same reaction. Pretty shocking. On the other hand, what was left out of that category other than BAD CINDERELLA, which has maybe the worst Broadway musical book of all time?

by Anonymousreply 530May 2, 2023 3:17 PM

R528, A special “surprise” Tony Award to Mary Tyler Moore was presented on air in 1980, who also happened to be co-hosting that year.

by Anonymousreply 531May 2, 2023 3:21 PM

Fuck Jeremy O. Harris. His influence is felt everywhere. And not for the right reasons.

And pulling actors from Cost Of Living, Top Dog/Underdog, and Ain't No Mo out of their asses? Pleeeeze.

by Anonymousreply 532May 2, 2023 3:25 PM

R525, yeah, right after the murder Toby is arrested and brought to the barber chair center stage on a platform which is now, of course, an electric chair.

by Anonymousreply 533May 2, 2023 3:26 PM

Several actors from Leopoldstadt should have replaced some of these nominees. Faye Castelow, Eden Epstein, David Krumholtz, Arty Froushan, etc.

by Anonymousreply 534May 2, 2023 3:27 PM

Nominating Camelot for Best Scenic Design? They brought furniture in from their cabin in the Adirondacks.

by Anonymousreply 535May 2, 2023 3:29 PM

I’m surprised no Thomas Kail or Bartlett Sher for best director of a musical.

by Anonymousreply 536May 2, 2023 3:35 PM

I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 537May 2, 2023 3:39 PM

Glenda Jackson.....a hundred posts ago.....

I have loved her since that movie she made with George Segal. They had a big argument in bed and got up to pack their suitcases and go home. She kept telling him to make a plane reservation.....he said NOT NECESSARY.

They drove to the airport in a car that would only go into second gear. They got up the desk and the man said the flight was sold out.....a group of nuns had just booked tickets for an excursion.

And Glenda Jackson looked at him and said to him witheringly: "Press THAT in your book of memories."

Allison Pill will not be signed Playbills tonight.

by Anonymousreply 538May 2, 2023 3:49 PM

R538. A Touch of Class. She and George Segal were great together and Glenda won the Oscar. Sadly, a forgotten film.

by Anonymousreply 539May 2, 2023 3:51 PM

Interesting, a certain WW noted on ATC that Phillipa Soo was not Tony nominated for CAMELOT (or INTO THE WOODS), but he didn't mentioned that Andrew Burnap was also passed over for CAMELOT. Is WW not smitten with Burnap? He would seem to be very much his type.

by Anonymousreply 540May 2, 2023 3:52 PM

R55. Same price Ike won Alice Ghostley the Tony in the original

by Anonymousreply 541May 2, 2023 3:54 PM

LITERAL VIOLINS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542May 2, 2023 3:55 PM

Thanks for the title R539......perhaps we will help someone discover it......

by Anonymousreply 543May 2, 2023 3:58 PM

And Frances Sternhagen in the 1972 revival.

by Anonymousreply 544May 2, 2023 4:00 PM

^She and Ghostley both won for the same role.

by Anonymousreply 545May 2, 2023 4:01 PM

[QUOTE] Allison Pill will not be signing Playbills tonight.

This would be a fun thread title.

by Anonymousreply 546May 2, 2023 4:06 PM

R537, I just meant that Kail and Sher are usually both favorites of Tony voters, which is why I'm surprised they didn't get in this time. (That, in my opinion, is the only reason for Borle's nomination.)

by Anonymousreply 547May 2, 2023 4:38 PM

Nathan Lane must be dying to get out of that awful play he's in. He probably won't have long to wait now.

by Anonymousreply 548May 2, 2023 4:42 PM

Tony snubs and surprises:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549May 2, 2023 4:42 PM

Is Into the Woods the first show where ever main character (except Jack) is a nominated role?

The Baker

The Wife

Cinderella

Cinderella Prince/Wolf

Little Red Riding Hood

Witch

The Narrator/Mysterious Man

by Anonymousreply 550May 2, 2023 4:43 PM

I'd be shocked at the Oscar Isaac and Rachel Brosnahan snubs except I just saw the production.

And I totally agree with the poster upthread who said that Miriam Silverman is perfectly fine but it's the role that wins, especially in contrast to everything else in those 3 excruciating hours.

by Anonymousreply 551May 2, 2023 4:46 PM

J. Harrison Ghee, Alex Newell Break Down Gender Barriers as Nonbinary Tony Acting Nominees:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552May 2, 2023 4:49 PM

Nathan's play closed on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 553May 2, 2023 4:55 PM

Really, r553?

I had no idea. Clearly.

by Anonymousreply 554May 2, 2023 5:02 PM

WHO CARES ABOUT FUCKING NON-BINARY????? It's a made up, bullshit, LOOK AT ME fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 555May 2, 2023 5:11 PM

Says someone who doesn't understand.

by Anonymousreply 556May 2, 2023 5:40 PM

Oh, I understand. I understand it's complete nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 557May 2, 2023 5:41 PM

[quote] Snub: A Native American Breakthrough. The producers of Larissa Fasthorse’s “The Thanksgiving Play” didn’t have much to be thankful for Tuesday morning. Thought to be the first play by a Native American woman to have a Broadway run, the show was entirely shut out. The play is a comedy that shows four white Americans fumbling toward a devised work that celebrates Native American Heritage Month, but it is also a parable of Native American erasure, which makes the exclusion disconcerting.

This, according to the New York Times. So a crappy play you liked didn't get nominated and it's injustice. Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 558May 2, 2023 5:57 PM

Everyone should have Sacheen Littlefeather accept their Tony Awards this year to protest.

Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 559May 2, 2023 5:59 PM

Participation awards for everybody!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 560May 2, 2023 6:06 PM

I am surprised that The Thanksgiving Play did not do well. It is not a great play, but it is funny when done well.

It sounds like the Broadway production fucked it up royally.

by Anonymousreply 561May 2, 2023 6:12 PM

Kamala Harris will make a special appearance on the Tony Awards like Jill Biden did a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 562May 2, 2023 6:13 PM

To give a special award to Lea Michele?

by Anonymousreply 563May 2, 2023 6:34 PM

I'm very puzzled about Linney too, especially since she gave, I thought, the better performance. It helped that her character was more interesting than Hecht's.

by Anonymousreply 564May 2, 2023 7:00 PM

The Thanksgiving Play is a smelly Native American turd.

by Anonymousreply 565May 2, 2023 7:09 PM

Saw Gray House yesterday. Metcalf is indeed wasted, but it's basically a B-Grade Stephen King piece, with character transitions that don't make much sense.

At the curtain call, yummy Paul Sparks looked like he'd rather be somewhere else.

The house must have been heavily papered given the standing ovation. It was a pretty young crowde. I really don't know why this was brought to Broadway, other than to capitalize on the glut of horror projects in the movies and streaming. I know it got good notices when it played in Chicago, but the script needs more work.

It would probably work better as a film, with some rewrites.

by Anonymousreply 566May 2, 2023 7:12 PM

I just noticed that Danielle Brooks didn’t get nominated. She was on a lot of lists for Featured Actress in a Play.

by Anonymousreply 567May 2, 2023 7:28 PM

[quote]In the Featured Actor/Musical category, Gaten Matarazzo (Sweeney Todd), Gavin Creek (Into the Woods), Alex Joseph Grayson (Parade), Steven Boyer (Kimberly Akimbo) and Joshua Henry (Into the Woods) all received sterling reviews; none were nominated.

I'm disappointed that Gavin Creek didn't get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 568May 2, 2023 8:25 PM

In repose to that quote: Yeah, so?

Lots of people get great reviews every year and don’t get a nomination. Not everyone can be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 569May 2, 2023 8:27 PM

[quote]Not everyone can be nominated.

And anyone who isn't nominated has been SNUBBED!

by Anonymousreply 570May 2, 2023 8:46 PM

Tony Nomination discussion is here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571May 2, 2023 9:17 PM

It's ridiculous that ANY Beggar Woman would be nominated. It's a dumb role with nothing to do but run around and be annoying.

by Anonymousreply 572May 2, 2023 9:21 PM

fuck you r430, see r571

by Anonymousreply 573May 2, 2023 9:25 PM

Fuck you sideways with a chainsaw, r572.

by Anonymousreply 574May 2, 2023 9:30 PM

R572 you mean like every role Sean Hayes has ever played?

by Anonymousreply 575May 2, 2023 10:16 PM

Agree, r572. Can't think of any production that has had a notable Beggar Woman (except Audra in the Philharmonic concert). In the Doyle version it was Diana DiMarzio (???)

by Anonymousreply 576May 2, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote]In the Doyle version it was Diana DiMarzio (???)

The Doyle production sucked. The Beggar Woman was the least of its problems.

by Anonymousreply 577May 2, 2023 10:23 PM

I'm shocked that "1776" and Porkloin were shut out of the nominations.

by Anonymousreply 578May 2, 2023 10:27 PM

Ruthie Ann Miles has been through hell and back. I’m glad she got nominated.

I thought she was phenomenal in “The Americans” and deserved a guest Emmy nomination that season. I remember one scene in which she and Keri Russell went to see “Tender Mercies” (1983) and the theater looked like the one at Tyson’s Corner mall in the ‘80s.

by Anonymousreply 579May 2, 2023 10:35 PM

I think it's becoming clearer why The Grey House didn't rush in to make the Tony deadline. They always knew it wouldn't get any nominations.

by Anonymousreply 580May 2, 2023 10:53 PM

No noms at all for "A Beautiful Noise?"

by Anonymousreply 581May 2, 2023 11:07 PM

Did Porkalob get a nom?

by Anonymousreply 582May 2, 2023 11:11 PM

R581, considering that A Beautiful Noise was a steaming pile of shit, I’m thrilled it laid a goose egg.

by Anonymousreply 583May 2, 2023 11:13 PM

DANCIN' is now the first of the non-nominated shows to post its closing notice.

I expect we'll see a few more announcements this week.

by Anonymousreply 584May 2, 2023 11:14 PM

Summer, 1976 extended again.

by Anonymousreply 585May 2, 2023 11:23 PM

R583, Rosie O’Donnell raved about it to Jimmy Fallon on Monday evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586May 2, 2023 11:48 PM

In that thumbnail , Rosie looks like she's morphed into Nathan Lane.

by Anonymousreply 587May 2, 2023 11:52 PM

R587, Or Bill Cullen.

by Anonymousreply 588May 2, 2023 11:54 PM

‘Shucked’, ‘Kimberly Akimbo’, ‘Fat Ham’ Could See Sales Boost With Tony Nominations – Broadway Box Office:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589May 3, 2023 12:09 AM

Per R584's post:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590May 3, 2023 12:12 AM

[quote] Can't think of any production that has had a notable Beggar Woman (except Audra in the Philharmonic concert).

Audra played the Beggar Woman in two separate NY Phil presentations of SWEENEY TODD, and in both cases, I thought it was by far the worst performance she has ever given. Shamelessly overacted and very poorly sung.

Victoria Clark played the Beggar Woman, succeeding Audra, when Lonnie Price's original production for the NY Phil was done in San Francisco with the symphony there.

by Anonymousreply 591May 3, 2023 12:14 AM

Those Dancin’ costumes look horrible

by Anonymousreply 592May 3, 2023 12:18 AM

The extension of Summer, 1976 (announced today) is an example of why Broadway ticketing is turning many long-time audience members away. They are selling only the outer sides for most of the orchestra, holding back all of the central seats. Even for the Wednesday matinee. Tickets range from $145 to $338. For a 90 minute, two person show that is mostly selling to subscribers at an average ticket price of $79.55.

by Anonymousreply 593May 3, 2023 12:30 AM

Tonys could be dark, because of writers' strike.

by Anonymousreply 594May 3, 2023 1:14 AM

Rosie O’Donnell *IS* Dan Marino

by Anonymousreply 595May 3, 2023 1:17 AM

Ariana DeBose should write the show!

by Anonymousreply 596May 3, 2023 1:17 AM

R532, calm the fuck down. The 2 [only] actors in TOPDOG UNDERDOG rightly won rave reviews -- hardly surprising nominations.

by Anonymousreply 597May 3, 2023 1:41 AM

[quote]‘Shucked’, ‘Kimberly Akimbo’, ‘Fat Ham’ Could See Sales Boost With Tony Nominations

No boost for "Some Like It Hot," which got the most nominations?

by Anonymousreply 598May 3, 2023 1:54 AM

Camelot got nominations??. Broadway is dead to me!

by Anonymousreply 599May 3, 2023 1:57 AM

[quote]‘Shucked’, ‘Kimberly Akimbo’, ‘Fat Ham’ Could See Sales Boost With Tony Nominations

No boost for "Some Like It Hot," which got the most nominations?

by Anonymousreply 600May 3, 2023 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!