Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #522: The "It's Over Now...The Music Of The Night" Edition

Be kind. I had to.

The Phantom of the Opera is closing this weekend and that's pretty much the biggest show Broadway's ever seen, making this one of the biggest moments in Broadway history...so even if this is jumping the gun a wee bit on the last thread, it felt only right to give POTO the title this time. I will leave the clever pun-filled titles to the rest of you guys from here on out, I promise.

Hal, Maria, Gillian, Michael and yes, Andrew - you made this one hell of a show. Thanks guys.

Here's some awesome rehearsal footage from before the show opened. Glorious stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600April 25, 2023 3:23 AM

They're seasoned professionals, but I wonder how long it will take them to strike/load it out.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2023 2:02 AM

God, it hurts to think about it.

It was hard just seeing the footage of them taking set pieces out during the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2023 2:14 AM

It would have been so much funnier if you'd put "Snatch" or "Beanie" somewhere in the title, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2023 2:26 AM

Any word on pending strike? I thought Mon/Tues were final days of negotiations?

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2023 2:28 AM

Great production. Dumb material. Buh-bye.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2023 2:28 AM

Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2023 2:29 AM

I think you did a fine job, OP. Also, we've GOT to make Thread No. 600 the Bajour edition.

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2023 2:34 AM

Isn't there still another rogue #521?

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2023 2:40 AM

Yes, let's finish that one first (I tried to say that in the other thread after starting this one, but couldn't post for some stupid reason. This site is inconsistent).

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2023 2:43 AM

r7 awww thanks. Didn't want to ruffle feathers - just wanted to give POTO its due.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2023 2:44 AM

Current Phantom, the hunky/chunky Ben Crawford, has basically blown his voice out, will he make it to the final show?!

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2023 3:02 AM

R11 Bring back Michael!

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2023 3:47 AM

R7, there's no way to ensure that. Back before 500 we had people pitching all kinds of titles for that thread, only to have some jackass title it "The Untitled Edition" or some such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2023 4:10 AM

Ted Keegan was on for both shows today. Maybe they're going to let him do the final week in case Crawford can't come back? He has the longest history with the show of the current Phantoms in the cast. It would be a nice for him to finish it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2023 4:12 AM

I can't imagine he'd have stuck it out this long to miss out on being the "final!" Phantom. There's the charity gala on Friday night (which was having a heck of a time moving tickets, from what I've read online), the final two public shows and then the big finale on Sunday.

Logically, whoever is in the best vocal shape should do it. But this is about bragging rights, so I'm betting that unless he's coughing up blood, Ben'll be there.

Guessing of course, but it seems the most likely outcome.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2023 8:51 AM

Is Sarah Brightman coming back? Has she ever, even as an audience member?

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2023 5:13 PM

Oh God that insufferable self-focused Broadway whooping and cheering is just insufferable. Thank God it's still less in London, except for tourists. It would drive me bats.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2023 5:19 PM

[quote]Is Sarah Brightman coming back? Has she ever, even as an audience member?

About six or seven years ago she was ushering matinees.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2023 5:23 PM

[quote]About six or seven years ago she was ushering matinees.

I see no problem with this.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2023 5:28 PM

No strike. They came to an agreement. No surprise -- a strike would have been monumentally stupid for everyone right now.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2023 5:30 PM

[quote] Be kind. I had to. The Phantom of the Opera is closing this weekend.

Oh, must we really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2023 5:32 PM

R9. No shit, Shirley. Look at it this way: this site is *consistently* fucked up.

šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2023 5:36 PM

R16 She has been back time to time when the show has celebrated a milestone. She has seen it several times with her young relatives.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2023 5:40 PM

Phantom, ALWā€™s love letter to Sarah Brightiman, who still performs those iconic songs in her concerts.

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2023 5:41 PM

R16, she was at one of the anniversary shows, from what I recall (could be wrong). But I don't recall if it was 20 or 25. I don't think it was 30.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2023 5:42 PM

There's definitely something afoot with Ben Crawford at PHANTOM. He's been in awful shape vocally since returning to the role post-pandemic. A lot of the hardcore Phans have suggested that he's literally just doing it for the paycheck (some even said they heard he begged the producers to keep him in the role for financial reasons). Some of this sounds a bit looney no question, but given how inconsistent his performances have been (all over the map vocally but also with the characterization) it makes you wonder what's happening... And WILL he close it out?

All this said, Ted Keegan is a TERRIFIC Phantom. Definitely one of the remaining in the cast that still evokes the Hal Prince direction for the character. His vocal approach is more traditional too, which I think is a huge asset. That younger rock/pop tenor sound that Phantom's like Ramin bring to it feels out of place.

It's a shame that CamMac and his soldiers decided to make the story some young, sexy love triangle in the casting and direction. It's completely undercut any tension, mystery or stakes the show once had. Plus, they're casting young guys like Ben who have no sense of how to play the high style of the piece. Give me a Howard McGillin or Davis Gaines any day over the new kids.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2023 7:41 PM

Annie aka Reba makes her triumphant return to NYC this Saturday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2023 9:55 PM

Fancy that.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2023 10:13 PM

Is the Cinderella thing closed yet?

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2023 10:19 PM

My favorite Phantom was Hugh Panera

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2023 10:22 PM

Oh dear, r30.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2023 10:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Bad Cinderella is the first show to post a closing notice after the Tony nods come out.

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2023 11:53 PM

I could use some Panera bread now that Passover is over.

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2023 1:42 AM

R24, and Love Never Dies must have been his hate mail (slam book?) to her. The singer really did love the composer all along and is revealed to have fucked him (contrasting everything in the first story). And she dies in the end. Subtle, ALW. Real subtle.

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2023 3:15 AM

Crawford out again; Stolle was on tonight. Crawford's been out since the 1st.

He may have intended to stick it out until the end, but if his voice is shot and he sounds like shit, I have a hard time believing he'd want to go on in front of the invited audience of alums and friends of the show. Is it worth going on as the final Phantom of the run just to embarrass himself in front of people who know how it should sound?

But maybe he'll make a miraculous recovery and rise to the occasion.

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2023 3:21 AM

Posted in the last thread, but Green's takedown of Camelot is delightful and should be posted again.

[Quote]How many more Golden Age musicals can Sher and Lincoln Center Theater lavish their love on before the project turns into Encores! with elephantiasis? Is Kelli Oā€™Hara in ā€œFlahooleyā€ next?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2023 3:25 AM

Wasn't there a political aspect to Flahooley?

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2023 3:29 AM

Yes, it was a parody of anti-Communist hysteria and blacklisting. Sounds right up Sorkin's alley for a rewrite.

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2023 3:35 AM

Is it just me who found Green's review of CAMELOT confusing and muddled? I get that he didn't like it but half the time I wasn't sure if he was talking about the original production or this revival. Nevertheless, the saddest thing is this production and the bad reviews, which so often are blaming poor dead Alan Jay Lerner, will probably kill the show for any meaningful revivals for the next 50 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2023 3:37 AM

Well with Camelot out it seems the Tony is between Parade, Into the Woods, Dancin and Sweeney Todd

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2023 3:46 AM

Dancin' may get a nomination to fill out the category but it ain't winnin'

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2023 4:16 AM

R39, it really is a terrible piece of writing. It seems Jesse Green only had two real points to make:

1: He wants Jordan Donica inside of him, quite deeply

2. He hates Alan Jay Lerner

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2023 7:12 AM

What makes me really mad about Sorkin is that he has reinforced the opinion that Camelot is a bad show. Itā€™s a bad investment for future revivals.

Which is a shame, because I know that somewhere out there is a perfect version of the show. Perfect as it can be.

There are worse Broadway musicals with less persecution than Camelot.

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2023 7:18 AM

I must be the only person who doesnā€™t think Jordan Donica is attractive.

I donā€™t get it.

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2023 8:21 AM

I blame Phillipa Soo.

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2023 8:34 AM

R35 how was Stolle? I happened to see him a few years back and thought he was pretty great. I even saw his Raoul, which I'm not sure he does anymore? But he was really great there too, and what was neat was they were two very different performances from the same person.

by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2023 8:41 AM

I'm waiting for the Sher/Sorokin Brigadoon where they take all the Scottish tropes out of it.

by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2023 11:42 AM

Stolle played Raul just a few months back and maybe again more recently. For some reason they brought John Riddle back to close it replacing the gorgeous Paul Adam Schaeffer.

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2023 11:42 AM

That Times review of Camelot is a complete mess. Does he even discuss the performances?

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2023 11:48 AM

A friend saw Dear Oscar this week and says there's no way Hayes won't win the Tony. Say it isn't so.

by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2023 12:48 PM

Why r50? He's supposed to be great.

by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2023 12:49 PM

R49 He only talks about Donica and I think it is because he fell in love with him. I thought the three principals were great.

by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2023 1:08 PM

So how is Andrew Burnapā€™s singing? Iā€™ve heard good and Iā€™ve heard just okay.

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2023 1:13 PM

Burnap does not sing out loud. He carries a tune... a sprechstimme of sorts, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2023 1:18 PM

Jesse Green's review is exactly how I felt about the show. Camelot has some nice songs, several useless songs, and an intractable story/plot.

It has never worked, and this production fixes nothing. Just do this show as a concert, using the original book and a big orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2023 1:47 PM

The NYT Daily podcast today covers Phantomā€™s closing. Good episode, which provides good (if debatable) context on Broadway then and now.

by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2023 1:49 PM

So it's pretty clear that the best revival nominees will be: Into the Woods, Parade, Sweeney, Dancin' and Camelot. Is there a chance with those mostly negative reviews Camelot will be left out? LCT is an industry powerhouse so I would think it has the clout to get the nomination, but could 1776 sneak in? (And I hated 1776).

The shoo-in Best New musical nominees are: Me & Juliet, Some Like it Hot, New York, New York and Kimberly Akimbo. The fifth slot is probably Shucked, but it's dying at the box office and there's not much industry love, and the relentless marketing is not helping. Is there a chance K-Pop or Almost Famous could grab the fifth slot?

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2023 2:22 PM

I find Jordan attractive and I think itā€™s because he also isnā€™t on social media, so there is mystery to him.

Is he gay, is he straight? Is he single?

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2023 2:29 PM

Thank god Me&Juliet may finally get the recognition it deserves. Thanks, r57!

by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2023 2:31 PM

Can't wait for the rewritten Aaron Sorkin/Bart Sher production of "Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?", starring Danny Burstein and Kelli O'Hara. Perfect for the Beaumont!

by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2023 3:00 PM

Is that Jordan Danica's real hair or is it a big wig? I don't think I'd like to sit behind him or Tems in an audience.

by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2023 3:03 PM

IT'S A WIG!

by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2023 3:19 PM

Can we please stop calling that thing currently running on Broadway ME & Juliet?

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2023 3:30 PM

ALW was given the key to NYC today and Sarah Brightman was by his side.

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2023 4:08 PM

R62-Don't let Lea wander around backstage.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote]He only talks about Donica and I think it is because he fell in love with him. I thought the three principals were great.

[quote]Burnap does not sing out loud. He carries a tune... a sprechstimme of sorts, if you will.

As per usual, so many people posting here have no idea what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2023 6:18 PM

Burnap was cute on ā€œwecrashed.ā€

by Anonymousreply 67April 14, 2023 7:08 PM

[Quote] As per usual, so many people posting here have no idea what they're talking about.

Except you of course. ā€œAs per usual.ā€

by Anonymousreply 68April 14, 2023 7:31 PM

Well, R68, I'm not genius, but I know what "sprechstimme" is, and though I realize it's a ultimately a matter of opinion, I think it's a huge stretch to describe the performances of the three principals in the current CAMELOT as "great."

by Anonymousreply 69April 14, 2023 8:03 PM

I think itā€™s possible Jesse was taken by Jordan. Lord knows Arthur Laurents was with Matt Caveneaugh. I still shudder when I hear those stories

by Anonymousreply 70April 14, 2023 8:06 PM

[quote]I think itā€™s possible Jesse was taken by Jordan. Lord knows Arthur Laurents was with Matt Caveneaugh.

What does one situation (theater critic and performer) have to do with the other (director and actor)?

by Anonymousreply 71April 14, 2023 8:14 PM

Burnap was also notable in Under the Banner of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 72April 14, 2023 8:15 PM

Is Burnap gay?

by Anonymousreply 73April 14, 2023 8:24 PM

[r71] the similarities were clunkyā€¦but just older men being captivated by younger men to a degree where that is the sole focus of praise at the expense of everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 74April 14, 2023 8:41 PM

Jordan Donica is a butched-up Robin de Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 75April 14, 2023 8:51 PM

With a much bigger dick.

by Anonymousreply 76April 14, 2023 8:53 PM

Should actors of new musicals be competing against actors in revivals? They have separate categories for new musicals and revivals, so why are actors lumped into one category? Actors in revivals have an unfair advantage because they are playing roles from classic musicals and are usually cast with big, well-known actors. It's not fair to have an actress starring in a new, unfamiliar show competing against a big name playing Mama Rose in Gypsy.

It's time for the Tonys to split up the acting categories for new vs. revival shows.

by Anonymousreply 77April 14, 2023 9:44 PM

Nah, roles are roles. If things were really fair, they'd all be competing at different versions of the same role.

by Anonymousreply 78April 14, 2023 9:53 PM

r77, that's the dumbest thing I've ever read on DL, and we all know the depths that plunges too...

by Anonymousreply 79April 14, 2023 9:54 PM

Benson sings Phantom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 14, 2023 10:06 PM

"The Phantom Of The Opera" closes Sunday evening, the upcoming revival announced on Monday.

Though it will be weird walking past the Majestic after 32 years and seeing a different show outside.

by Anonymousreply 81April 14, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote]It's not fair to have an actress starring in a new, unfamiliar show competing against a big name playing Mama Rose in Gypsy.

Or Reno Sweeney, r77!

by Anonymousreply 82April 14, 2023 10:37 PM

I remember when A Chorus Line was closing. They were begging for money to put a plaque in the lobby of the Shubert to commemorate the long run of ACL.

Maybe the Majestic should hang the chandelier in the lobby.

by Anonymousreply 83April 14, 2023 10:38 PM

So Singapore/Fling, arbiter of all things politically correct, now thinks itā€™s okay to address KingSpeed (our beloved C-list Actor) as ā€œgirlā€ and ā€œMary,ā€ after KS has made it clear he doesnā€™t want to be addressed with feminizing language? What will it take to get him kicked off the site. I complained to the Webmaster, though I donā€™t expect it will do any good.

Itā€™s bullying, homophobic, and misogynisticā€”a triple crown. And heā€™s the first to accuse posters of racism and transphobia. If he used this language in a classroom, heā€™d be sanctioned or fired. I feel sorry for his students, but I bet they know how to play him. What an ass.

by Anonymousreply 84April 14, 2023 10:42 PM

Nobody nobody nobody nobody nobody cares r84

by Anonymousreply 85April 14, 2023 10:45 PM

Speaking of Camelot , Frankel Nero is in the new movie the popeā€™s exorcist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 14, 2023 10:45 PM

Franco

by Anonymousreply 87April 14, 2023 10:46 PM

speak for yourself r85.

by Anonymousreply 88April 14, 2023 10:47 PM

If Me & Juliet is nominated, I'm willing to come to New York and present the show's musical number. It would be a thrill 70 years later!

by Anonymousreply 89April 14, 2023 11:01 PM

If Me & Juliet is nominated, I'm willing to come to New York and present the show's musical number. It would be a thrill 70 years later!

by Anonymousreply 90April 14, 2023 11:02 PM

I'll be there, Bill!

by Anonymousreply 91April 14, 2023 11:04 PM

How do we know Jordan has a big dick?

by Anonymousreply 92April 14, 2023 11:13 PM

r48, the reason they brought back Riddle is that he's clearly better in the role. If Schaefer was good enough to be the full-time Raoul he would have been given that opportunity long ago since he's been with the show for years. Instead he was only allowed to have the role full-time after the closing was announced and they didn't want to bother casting a new Raoul. He's a competent understudy, and that's it, and having listened to quite a few recordings from the past few months, he just doesn't sound very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 14, 2023 11:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 14, 2023 11:14 PM

For comparison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 14, 2023 11:16 PM

Crawford's out again tonight, and this time instead of any of the understudies still with the show, they brought back someone who officially left the production last month, Laird Mackintosh.

by Anonymousreply 96April 14, 2023 11:49 PM

Now John Riddle. That man is gorgeous. I follow him on Instagram and just marvel at some of his pics

by Anonymousreply 97April 14, 2023 11:49 PM

Well done, R77. Youā€™ve plumbed heretofore unheard of depths of stupidity.

And R79 would know.

by Anonymousreply 98April 15, 2023 12:10 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Laird closed the show. He started as Raoul then played Monsieur Andre (I think) for years and was a frequent Phantom sub. He left the show pre Covid to play Higgins in the MFL tour. He seems to be a Phantom Phavorite.

by Anonymousreply 99April 15, 2023 12:16 AM

What will win Best Play Revival? Is that why Sidney's Window is rushing in?

by Anonymousreply 100April 15, 2023 12:16 AM

[quote]What's the word on GRAY HOUSE? A new play with Laurie Metcalf, directed by Joe Mantello, it starts previews in days, and I was surprised to just be hearing of it now.

They did a media event recently with Jonathan Groff moderating a panel with the cast and he unsurprisingly revealed his obsession with Laurie Metcalf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 15, 2023 1:10 AM

Man, you wonder what the backstage machinations are at PHANTOM that they're having this understudy dance right up to the end (and without a word). Laird has been in the Phantom world since the mid 90s, where he played Raoul up in Toronto opposite Ciaran Sheehan (who was excellent).

by Anonymousreply 102April 15, 2023 1:14 AM

I never miss a Frankel Nero musical.

by Anonymousreply 103April 15, 2023 1:20 AM

R88 I just sent off a missive to Ann at talkinbroadway to complain about Singapore/FuckingFling too. He's harassing someone in failing to use the sexual nomenclature that KIngSpeed wishes (and deserves to be) called and is frankly, being mocked by the Singapore/FuckingFling who culturally misappropriated that moniker.

by Anonymousreply 104April 15, 2023 1:30 AM

KingSpeed seems to be a very nice guy, btw.

by Anonymousreply 105April 15, 2023 1:30 AM

[quote]It's time for the Tonys to split up the acting categories for new vs. revival shows.

Until now, one of the major reasons why that would never happen was that it would increase the number of awards considerably, and there are so many of them as it is.

That said....I suppose it's conceivable that if the Tonys ever do go to gender-neutral categories, thereby decreasing the number of awards in that sense, then instituting separate acting categories for new shows and revivals might be a good way to balance that. So instead of Actor, Actress, Featured Actor and Featured Actress in a Musical, you would have Actor (gender-neutral) in a New Musical, Actor (gender-neutral) in a Musical Revival, Featured Actor (gender neutral) in a New Play, and Featured Actor (gender-neutral) in a Play Revival.

by Anonymousreply 106April 15, 2023 1:36 AM

He hit me in the head with a fondue pot, r105.

by Anonymousreply 107April 15, 2023 1:59 AM

If KingSpeed had previously asked, r104, Singapore/Flung was obviously being puerile. I was kicked off ATC *years* ago. I did not let the door hit me in my pert and perky butt.

by Anonymousreply 108April 15, 2023 2:07 AM

C List Actor is golden. And a total sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 109April 15, 2023 2:51 AM

If they open a revival of "Phantom" next week, will it be Tony-eligible?

by Anonymousreply 110April 15, 2023 3:35 AM

This is awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 15, 2023 4:11 AM

R111, awful in what respect?

by Anonymousreply 112April 15, 2023 4:15 AM

MeTV just showed the final episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" called "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," which featured Larry Kert, whom I've seen mentioned several times here on DL but never really knew much about him myself. He was gorgeous to say the least. I just looked up his bio on Wikipedia and he had quite the long and varied career both on stage and film, though never achieved the movie stardom he reportedly greatly desired (sadly, he died of AIDS in 1991).

By the way, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was originally scheduled to be episode 39 of the 7th season of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" but was pulled because one of NBC's network sponsors (Revlon) deemed it "too gruesome" for broadcast. It would therefore come to be known as the show's "lost" episode until it was eventually aired in syndication to absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 15, 2023 7:01 AM

Saw Goodnight, Oscar last night. Yes, Sean Hayes is quite good. But, the play is so slight and the whole ghost of Gershwin thing is just silly.

by Anonymousreply 114April 15, 2023 7:59 AM

[quote] Best revival nominees will be: Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Parade, Dancin' and Camelot. 1776 is long forgotten. Best new musical nominees will be: Some Like it Hot, Kimberly Akimbo, Me & Juliet, New York, New York and either 1) K Pop or 2) Shucked

Aren't The Tonys usually four nominees per category?

by Anonymousreply 115April 15, 2023 8:40 AM

Don't know why OP is greyed out; what can be more natural on a gay chat board than theatre?

Oh well, can hardly believe Phantom has come to an end. Just began working on Wall Street when it opened and tickets to Phantom were something every broker, trader or anyone else wanted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 15, 2023 10:41 AM

If there are nine or more eligible nominees in a category, the category can be expanded, usually to five slots, but recently, some categories have ended up with six or seven nominees. There are just six eligible musical revivals, so there will be four slots in that category. I think the new musical category will be Kimberly Akimbo, &Juliet, New York, New York, Shucked and Some Like It Hot. (KPOP will be best remembered for complete fumbling of a property from Off-Broadway to Broadway). For the musical revivals, I think Dancin' probably squeaks in before Camelot, even though Dancin' is incredibly disappointing and somehow got a pass from most of the critics, so Dancin', Into the Woods, Parade and Sweeney Todd.

There are six play revivals (A Doll's House, Death of a Salesman, Ohio State Murders, The Piano Lesson, Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window, Topdog/Underdog), so two are going to be left out. They will probably include Doll's House and Sidney Brustein, as they will still be running. For the remaining two slots, I would probably give the edge to The Piano Lesson and Topdog. Salesman had some very spotty performances and an overwrought production. I liked Ohio State Murders better than most, but something has to get left out. They'll probably honor it with a nomination for Audra.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the play category, as there are 17 eligible new plays this season. You can fill it with the three Pulitzer winners (Cost of Living, Between Riverside and Crazy, Fat Ham) and the three Olivier winners (Leopoldstadt, Life of Pi, Prima Facie), which is what I think will happen.

by Anonymousreply 117April 15, 2023 10:57 AM

Wait...I got greyed-out? It doesn't show that way on my end...huh. What does that mean?

So, there have been some big twists at the Majestic. Laird returning for possibly all the final shows...cameras there filming....Sarah Brightman, Sierra and Ali E all popping up last night. And they're auctioning off their costumes apparently?

Andrew getting the key to the city...crazy stuff!

by Anonymousreply 118April 15, 2023 12:01 PM

Asbestos eyeballs r118?

They make the DL experience richer and less stupid.

by Anonymousreply 119April 15, 2023 12:02 PM

There's a long tradition of Theatre Gossip threads getting grayed out. It means a lot of people downvoted the thread. Sometimes it has happened within minutes of threads being started. Some people must really not like them (and/or it's the usual complaining about the titles). No big deal.

by Anonymousreply 120April 15, 2023 12:41 PM

Youā€™re not a true DataLounger until youā€™ve been grayed out at least once.

by Anonymousreply 121April 15, 2023 1:38 PM

Jordan Donica, currently playing Lancelot, was Rapunzel's prince in Into the Woods at Encores! He couldn't do Broadway, because he was returning to Phantom as Raoul, which was probably a better paycheck anyway.

by Anonymousreply 122April 15, 2023 1:42 PM

Ben Crawford really imploded, his entire run post pandemic has been really strange. He changed the entire way he performed the role and it seems to have broken him. Real DRAMA there in The Lair!

by Anonymousreply 123April 15, 2023 1:42 PM

Into The Woods was a much better paycheck than Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 124April 15, 2023 1:51 PM

Is it possible that they would do only 4 Best Musical nominees? I think "Almost Famous" would get a nomination over K-Pop, if they go there. I also think they might give Shucked a nomination for "Best Book" but give best score to "Almost Famous." It was a weak show but some of Kitt's work was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 125April 15, 2023 1:52 PM

I always mock-complain about the titles of the threads, but I have never FF'ed one. I've never understood why they have all been greyed out. We all show up and post on these threads quite loyally. Hell, I've been here since around #75 and we're now past 500.

Doesn't FF'ing someone enough to get a thread greyed out also give them that stupid red "troll" designation? I rarely FF unless someone is being obnoxious for an extended period of time.

by Anonymousreply 126April 15, 2023 2:39 PM

I only FF if youā€™re insufferable

by Anonymousreply 127April 15, 2023 2:45 PM

I only FF the assholes who continually, incessantly, relentlessly use the word "insufferable" -- and ONLY that word -- to slam others. It's a very ironic "glass houses" situation, as the person or persons who keep hissing "Insufferable" are themselves the best (or worst) embodiment of that word.

by Anonymousreply 128April 15, 2023 2:52 PM

WTF?

I pre-ordered THE MINUTES by Tracy Letts when the book came up on Amazon.

I had a shipping date. Then I got a NEW shipping date some months later. Then it happened again. Then this week I get an Amazon notice that says it will be shipped at a later date - WITH NO DATE indicated.

He could print me out a copy and walk it over to my house in a shorter amount of time. Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 129April 15, 2023 3:23 PM

That's odd, R129. It says on Amazon it won't be released until July 11, 2023. I know TCG published it in their magazine a while back.

by Anonymousreply 130April 15, 2023 3:30 PM

And of course Donica's Raoul run last summer ended early when he was injured during a show. (Hit by a piece of equipment, I believe?) Plenty of drama at Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 131April 15, 2023 3:32 PM

[quote]Andrew getting the key to the city...crazy stuff!

He also deserves The Majestic renamed after him. No one in theater history has put more asses in seats than him, not just in NY but all over the world. People have traveled to the US and based their whole trip around seeing "Phantom".

by Anonymousreply 132April 15, 2023 3:36 PM

I agree. Like him or hate him, ALW pretty much kept Broadway afloat through the worst years of the AIDS crisis. Of course many people don't like what Broadway became in the aftermath, but I don't think ALW is necessarily responsible for that. I'd blame Guiliani for starters.

by Anonymousreply 133April 15, 2023 3:39 PM

By all means, let's rename the theatre for a plagiarizing hack before we rename it for someone far more important, like Hal Prince, or Tennessee Williams, or Ethel Merman. Why don't we just rename it THE PHANTOM THEATRE?

by Anonymousreply 134April 15, 2023 4:03 PM

Harold Prince deserves the credit. Without his staging, the show would never have run as long as it did. The score and story help a bit, but they needed to be framed to cover their significant flaws. The production managed to suggest grandeur with very understated and almost minimalist techniques. That intelligence and tasteful opulence is what becomes a thing of the past on Sunday, not a few sappy ALW ballads.

by Anonymousreply 135April 15, 2023 4:26 PM

Ted Keegan on for the matinee.

by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2023 4:40 PM

[quote]A friend saw Dear Oscar this week and says there's no way Hayes won't win the Tony. Say it isn't so.

Did your friend give specifics, r50? Has anyone else seen it? I'm interested in Levant, but not so much in Hayes.

[quote]Doesn't FF'ing someone enough to get a thread greyed out also give them that stupid red "troll" designation?

No. Ony Muriel or one of her minions can designate (and thus ban) a troll, r126. What is stupid about identifying and banning trolls, anyway? A poster has to be seriously and consistently obnoxious to make Muriel stub out her ciggie and hit the ban button. Enough F&Fs can "disappear" a post, though.

[quote]Nobody nobody nobody nobody nobody cares [R84]

[quote]speak for yourself [R85].

I agree with Doris-LaChat/r88, r85. This is DataLounge. Only Muriel gets to tell us what to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137April 15, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote] No. Ony Muriel or one of her minions can designate (and thus ban) a troll, [R126]. What is stupid about identifying and banning trolls, anyway? A poster has to be seriously and consistently obnoxious to make Muriel stub out her ciggie and hit the ban button. Enough F&Fs can "disappear" a post, though.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know how the "troll" designation happened. I truly thought it was someone getting enough F&Fs on a post (or a few posts). (Not to derail the thread, but) if someone gets that designation, does it mean they can no longer post, or just that their posts are always accompanied with that red tag? (If you know.)

by Anonymousreply 138April 15, 2023 4:56 PM

[quote]By all means, let's rename the theatre for a plagiarizing hack before we rename it for someone far more important, like Hal Prince, or Tennessee Williams, or Ethel Merman. Why don't we just rename it THE PHANTOM THEATRE?

Hal Prince can have The Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre or The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, named after two pencil pushers at The Shubert Organization. The only asses they put into a theater seat was their own.

by Anonymousreply 139April 15, 2023 5:16 PM

Or rename the Golden. Or the Belasco. Or the James (as we in the biz call it).

by Anonymousreply 140April 15, 2023 5:20 PM

Here's an obscure question: does anyone know why Jessica Lee Golden left Moulin Rouge when her contract ran out this month? During the A Chorus Line revival, many seemed to think she was going to take Broadway by storm, but all she's done since is replacements and even summer stock. Is she difficult to work with?

[quote]Hal Prince can have The Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre or The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, named after two pencil pushers at The Shubert Organization. The only asses they put into a theater seat was their own.

[quote]Or rename the Golden. Or the Belasco. Or the James (as we in the biz call it).

Or the Boo, r140. How long, O how long must we continue to honor the long-dead brother of an assassin? Keep your grubby hands off of the Belasco, though - and the Schoenfeld and Jacobs, r139. Without the money men, there would be no asses in seats. I met both Schoenfeld and Jacobs. They seemed quite nice for money men.

Met Belasco, too, if we count ghosts.

[quote]if someone gets that designation, does it mean they can no longer post, or just that their posts are always accompanied with that red tag? (If you know.)

It means that ALL of their posts are greyed out, r138 - but trolls are like hydras - I think they can just clear their cookies or use another device and come back with a vengeance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 15, 2023 5:31 PM

"Somebody Will" from SHUCKED.

What say we, showqueens?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 15, 2023 5:39 PM

R137, he simply said that his immersion into the character and his impeccable timing are superb. I think he'll get a lot of competition from Wendell Pierce and Samuel L Jackson, not to mention one of the actors from Top Dog. But I haven't seen Hayes yet.

by Anonymousreply 143April 15, 2023 5:54 PM

I'd say he's got a face for radio, R142

by Anonymousreply 144April 15, 2023 5:58 PM

The Tony winners have already been set in stone:

Best Musical: & Juliet

Best Revival: Parade

Best Play: Fat Ham

by Anonymousreply 145April 15, 2023 6:09 PM

&Juliet over Kimberly Akimbo?

Parade over Sweeney?

Fat Ham over Leopoldstadt?

Set in stone? I think not.

by Anonymousreply 146April 15, 2023 6:14 PM

& Juliet is the only hit musical this season. The rest will be closed within a year.

The anti-semitic protests ensure a win for Parade.

Fat Ham is getting RAVE reviews and is a real crowd-pleaser. Voters will be more passionate about it than Leprechaun.

by Anonymousreply 147April 15, 2023 6:21 PM

R129 Tell me about it. I'm sitting here counting the minutes until they publish THE HOT WING KING and it won the Pulitzer two years ago!

by Anonymousreply 148April 15, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote]Fat Ham is getting RAVE reviews and is a real crowd-pleaser. Voters will be more passionate about it than Leprechaun.

"Leprechaun"? Was that an autocorrect or an attempt to be funny, r147? If it's the latter, it didn't succeed. As an autocorrect, it's hilarious.

No matter. Leopoldstadt is Stoppard's swan song, and it's highly regarded. I'm betting on him.

by Anonymousreply 149April 15, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote] Of course many people don't like what Broadway became in the aftermath, but I don't think ALW is necessarily responsible for that. I'd blame Guiliani for starters.

I blame Disney

by Anonymousreply 150April 15, 2023 8:42 PM

I blame Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 151April 15, 2023 8:44 PM

I put the blame on Mame.

by Anonymousreply 152April 15, 2023 8:49 PM

Lucy Mame, you mean

by Anonymousreply 153April 15, 2023 10:03 PM

Saw today's matinee of PRIMA FACIE. Wow - this is truly Comer's Tony to lose. It almost feels cruel to subject her to giving that performance 8x a week... electrifying

by Anonymousreply 154April 15, 2023 10:52 PM

Fat Ham is gay, black, American, a Pulitzer winner. Ticks off a lot of current boxes, like Strange Loop did. I think it's a close call. (And Stoppard has lots of Tonys.)

by Anonymousreply 155April 15, 2023 11:02 PM

Here's who I feel will be the top 3 contenders in this year's race for lead actor in a musical (and the pros and cons for each):

BEN PLATT

Pros: 1) Good to great reviews for both him and the show; 2) the show is a SRO hit at the box office, proof of Platt's appeal with Broadway audiences.

Con: He's won in this category before, which may factor into some voters' thinking when filling out their ballots (i.e., they may not feel any rush to give him a second one).

JOSH GROBAN

Pros: 1) Received great reviews for his performance, plus he's a huge star in his own right outside of Broadway; 2) this is his second nomination and some voters may feel this will be his best shot.

Con: Despite positive notices from critics, there's some word-of-mouth opinion that he's really not right for the role

J. HARRISON GHEE

Pros: 1) Gives what's arguably the best performance in an otherwise so-so show; 2) would make history as the first non-binary performer to win a lead acting Tony award

Con: The show, despite decent notices, suffers from lackluster box office.

by Anonymousreply 156April 15, 2023 11:06 PM

R155 How did you find the writing?

by Anonymousreply 157April 15, 2023 11:06 PM

One interesting tidbit about FAT HAM: the lead actor is Marcel Spears, who plays Cedric the Entertainer's son on the CBS hit sitcom "The Neighborhood." Read that he got his MFA in acting from Columbia and has performed Shakespeare on stage. Glad to see he's not let TV success keep him away from the theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158April 15, 2023 11:14 PM

Did Ben Crawford go on tonight in Phantom? thx in advance

by Anonymousreply 159April 15, 2023 11:17 PM

Damn it if I didn't shed a few tears watching Frank DiLella's "Phantom" special earlier today. I agree it will be sad to see it go.

by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote] I blame Disney

Well, if you're going to blame Disney, you have to blame their enabler, who was Guiliani.

by Anonymousreply 161April 15, 2023 11:34 PM

Is "Phantom" headed for off-Broadway or a smaller theater like Teeny Todd?

by Anonymousreply 162April 15, 2023 11:57 PM

Who else do you think will fill that category, R156?

by Anonymousreply 163April 15, 2023 11:57 PM

I don't think Josh Groban got great reviews for his acting. They said he said the role well.

by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2023 11:58 PM

sang, that is

by Anonymousreply 165April 15, 2023 11:58 PM

R159, Ben Crawford is not returning to the show.

by Anonymousreply 166April 16, 2023 12:06 AM

How sad for Ben. I'm sure he would have loved to close out the show (not to mention how nice it would have been from a historical perspective -- i.e., opening with one Crawford and closing with another).

by Anonymousreply 167April 16, 2023 12:11 AM

Or how about MIchael Crawford coming out on stage for the bows? Better for him to leave that way than the way he did in "Dance of the Vampires" all those years ago.

by Anonymousreply 168April 16, 2023 12:14 AM

R163, I'm not sure, though I would never bet against a nomination for Christian Borle since he's been a Tony favorite in the past. I could also see a possible nomination for Colton Ryan for NYNY if it pulls halfway decent reviews in a couple of weeks.

by Anonymousreply 169April 16, 2023 12:49 AM

Nobody is nominating Borle for anything after his Willy Wonka debacle.

by Anonymousreply 170April 16, 2023 12:51 AM

Borle's numbers without Ghee aren't very good

by Anonymousreply 171April 16, 2023 12:52 AM

[quote]Ben Crawford is not returning to the show.

Is he just sick with some temporary illness, or is it really that he has blown his voice out, as some have said? If the latter, how the HELL did he do that so completely that he can't even do the final show after missing several just prior?

by Anonymousreply 172April 16, 2023 12:53 AM

yes R 61 that is Jordanā€™s real head if hair. He wears a merkin though.

by Anonymousreply 173April 16, 2023 12:57 AM

To add on to r266's comment, Mackintosh was on tonight.

Rumor has it Keegan will get the final show, but who knows? Could be either Stolle or Mackintosh too.

by Anonymousreply 174April 16, 2023 1:07 AM

Ben Crawford is so fucking sexy in Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 175April 16, 2023 1:07 AM

If &Juliet wins the Best Musical Tony, it would be pathetic.

Itā€™s fun but a completely stupid show.

by Anonymousreply 176April 16, 2023 1:08 AM

I have it on good authority that Andrew Lloyd Webber will be playing the Phantom in the final show.

by Anonymousreply 177April 16, 2023 1:20 AM

So he'll be doing it without a mask?

by Anonymousreply 178April 16, 2023 1:24 AM

Why not? Ben Crawford certainly could.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179April 16, 2023 1:28 AM

Will ALW and Tim Rice ever write another show together?

by Anonymousreply 180April 16, 2023 1:29 AM

Technically, when Covid shut down NYC, all long running shows became revivals.

by Anonymousreply 181April 16, 2023 1:31 AM

Saw Parade today. It's electrifying. Best of everything this year (including 3 Sondheim shows).

by Anonymousreply 182April 16, 2023 1:34 AM

[Quote] Saw Parade today. It's electrifying. Best of everything this year (including 3 Sondheim shows).

I was at the matinee today too. Amazing show but such a downer

by Anonymousreply 183April 16, 2023 1:39 AM

Cried and cried, long after the end.

by Anonymousreply 184April 16, 2023 1:40 AM

Parade was always an incredible show, but the critics and audiences in 1999 didnā€™t see it. They dismissed it as overwrought because they did not understand the realities of America outside of elite circles. No one has those illusions any longer.

by Anonymousreply 185April 16, 2023 1:48 AM

I saw it in 1999, but I did not *get* it until today.

by Anonymousreply 186April 16, 2023 1:54 AM

I only had the Cast Album for years of Parade, and always loved it. So much emotion. And then, recently got the House cam of the original production. It seemed really really good. Just the staging of the parade was thrilling. Glad it is finally getting a much deserved second life.

by Anonymousreply 187April 16, 2023 1:58 AM

Sondheim is dead. If Broadway wants to survive and flourish, then it needs to encourage and reward its living and working creatives, like Jason Robert Brown. It can't keep relying on dead composers like Sondheim and Rodgers & Hammerstein if it wants to remain relevant. Art must always grow and push forward.

I think Sondheim would be the first one to agree with this. That's why Parade should win over Sweeney Todd. It's time to move on....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 16, 2023 2:02 AM

You're talking about a 25-year-old show to make the point about art staying relevant and pushing forward.

by Anonymousreply 189April 16, 2023 2:03 AM

I sure hope PARADE wins. It is the best revival (and probably the best show) on Broadway now.

by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2023 2:11 AM

I think it would be interesting if the voters did a split between "Parade" and "Sweeney" by awarding Platt for actor and Annaleigh for actress. Revival could go either way.

by Anonymousreply 191April 16, 2023 2:16 AM

Anyone but Annaleigh, please.

by Anonymousreply 192April 16, 2023 2:19 AM

The second Act of Parade is so good that it must have made Sondheim jealous. Sondheimā€™s second Acts always seem to implode

by Anonymousreply 193April 16, 2023 2:23 AM

Ben Platt is good but he does his ā€œIm a whinerā€ schtick here too

by Anonymousreply 194April 16, 2023 2:23 AM

Do you think they might do something crazy like let Ramin play the final Phantom. Or too much rehearsal/safety issues involved?

by Anonymousreply 195April 16, 2023 2:47 AM

[quote] I think Sondheim would be the first one to agree with this. That's why Parade should win over Sweeney Todd. It's time to move on....

Stop worrying if your vision is new

Let others make that decision

They usually do

You keep moving on

by Anonymousreply 196April 16, 2023 2:52 AM

Does "Parade" have the big balloons like Macys?

by Anonymousreply 197April 16, 2023 2:55 AM

No, just marching racists.

by Anonymousreply 198April 16, 2023 3:04 AM

Except for his (their?) big Act II power balled number about getting knocked with a feather, J Harrison Ghee's performance in SLIH was totally unmemorable, which is really saying something considering it was (somewhat) based on Billy Wilder's and Jack Lemmon's creation.

I loved Parade, it was really the only musical this season I can say I loved and that includes Kimberly Akimbo, which just sort of misses the mark (and would NEVER sell on the road). I think Parade will surprise everyone with more wins than expected. Of course, kits a revival so the win will go to KA. I expect NYNY to get mixed reviews (esp. based on that GMA performance, wtf?).

by Anonymousreply 199April 16, 2023 3:05 AM

Biggest mistake of SLIH was not writing and allowing the Daphne and Sugar characters to be funny (because they're black, ya know and must be dignified).

by Anonymousreply 200April 16, 2023 3:07 AM

What's especially exciting about PARADE is that it doesn't even feel like a revival. It's like experiencing a new show (and I saw the original which was totally forgettable).

by Anonymousreply 201April 16, 2023 3:08 AM

r157, I agree that the Fat Ham writing has its flaws, but I want to see it again before I offer a fair critique. My appraisal was based on the bare facts of the two plays. If I were a Tony voter, not sure which way I'd go. The Stoppard has its own drawbacks. (And I've never seen one of his works that I wished was longer.)

by Anonymousreply 202April 16, 2023 3:12 AM

r185, the audiences in 1999 weren't aware of "the realities of America"?? You must be joking.

by Anonymousreply 203April 16, 2023 3:18 AM

I think the reason why Parade is resonating is because anti-semitism was bubbling under the surface is 1999 in America.

Nazis are literally marching in the street now.

by Anonymousreply 204April 16, 2023 3:25 AM

R204, and supporting Supreme Court justices!

by Anonymousreply 205April 16, 2023 3:58 AM

Singapore/FuckingFling didn't post for over 24 hours. Maybe Ann finally did something about him at ATC!

by Anonymousreply 206April 16, 2023 4:12 AM

The end of Parade where they sing the same song about Dixie that they did at the beginning is all the about the same anti-Semitic shit happening even now

by Anonymousreply 207April 16, 2023 4:38 AM

Saw Leopoldstadt tonight. Gosh it was... talky. Wonderful cast (except for Josh Molina, who seemed to be channeling Nick Kroll) and, yes, the impact of seeing the family grow and then vanish except for a few survivors was very powerful, but there was also a hell of a lot of speechifying in a 2-hour show. I don't really have much experience with Stoppard's work, but assume that isn't unusual for him? Also, I'm 42 and I've never felt so young as I did sitting amongst that audience!

Haven't seen Fat Ham on Broadway, but saw it at The Public last year, with the same cast, and absolutely loved it. The way in which the playwright and company tackled toxic masculinity and the scarring homophobia so many Black and brown gay men experience from their own families while remaining so genuinely funny really worked for me. It made for one of the most entertaining evenings I've had in the theatre... in years.

For me Fat Ham was a play I loved. Leopoldstadt was a play I found much to... admire.

by Anonymousreply 208April 16, 2023 6:29 AM

I loved Fat Ham but Leopoldstadt will take the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 209April 16, 2023 6:33 AM

Iā€™ve seen over 1000 Broadway, West End and national tour performances in the last 25 years and the revival of Parade is unquestionably in the top 10 ever. A perfect production and every accolade ascribable is well earned. Not a fun show, but a magnificent work of art that reminds us why musical theatre does what nothing else can do.

by Anonymousreply 210April 16, 2023 6:40 AM

It's very interesting that PHANTOM has been using Howard McGillin as the official spokesperson / Phantom for commemorative news and media pieces this past week (he was on several different CBS pieces). Obviously, he's Broadway's longest running Phantom so it makes sense, but I imagine Ben Crawford WOULD have been the talking head had things gone differently.

I know Howard's in Parade, but he would've been someone to tap for this final week/end of performances. As longest serving Phantom in New York it would seem quite fitting (and especially as a Phantom who so evoked Prince's notion of the character too!)

by Anonymousreply 211April 16, 2023 7:05 AM

Itā€™s also very interesting Howard is in a thankless role in the revival of a Hal Prince musical (that he ā€œconceivedā€) that everyone agrees is iconic, and not looking backā€¦

by Anonymousreply 212April 16, 2023 7:09 AM

Howard and his giant cock are golden.

And ALW does not have the invention or imagination to do anything really interesting for the end of Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 213April 16, 2023 7:26 AM

[quote]If Broadway wants to survive and flourish, then it needs to encourage and reward its living and working creatives, like Jason Robert Brown.

Geez, how many chances is this guy going to get?

by Anonymousreply 214April 16, 2023 7:33 AM

Final public performance of Phantom was hugely emotional. Many gorgeous fan costumes were worn, but generally Oriole seemed there to soak it all in one last time.

Emilie's "Wishing" cut deep....many tears shed and a standing ovation given.

She was in strong voice, though Emilie doesn't emote much facially.

The lasso spark happened! It wasn't working in past shows apparently.

Ruthie II is beloved, let's just say that. Her every move was cheered.

Fantastic orchestra, really. Great job from the musicians.

Laird was very good, but they rushed the chord progression on Music of the Night at the end as if he couldn't hold it (seemed he could).

Lots of comedy from the cast.

The costumes and sets looked incredible. Brand new and sparkly.

The audience could not leave. The applauding lasted all through the bows and a good 15 minutes afterward. People finally started chanting "one more song!" to try and hint that and encore was appropriate, give this was the end. Nothing came.

Crew and cast in their regular clothes wandered around the stage basking in the love but didn't have a clue what to do.

Andrew didn't show, nor was there an "in case" song prepared. It was beautiful to see everyone's gratitude for the show...but awkward.

Huge missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 215April 16, 2023 9:24 AM

Not gonna begrudge anyone their fun with speculation, but itā€™s Leopoldstadt, Parade, Hayes, Comer, Platt, Clark, Branuran, Milligan

by Anonymousreply 216April 16, 2023 9:46 AM

R215, while I was standing in line at the Majestic, I figured there had to be a Datalounge with me there too! Yep, you were there!

Iā€™ll post my thoughts when Iā€™m awake and gather them; but I do know that if you read the boards, ā€œphansā€ are a bit upset Cam Mac and ALW did nothing to for us at the very last public performance.

It was like Rocky Horror. People were in costume. Everyone wore Phantom attire. It was cool.

But some bitch behind me decided to steal attention from Christine by crying loudly during the graveyard scene. And people all around me were singing and talking back. Whatever, it was a special occasion-but every time I see the show I notice a small detail provided by Hal Prince Iā€™ve never noticed before. Itā€™s distracting.

I wish they had SOMETHING planned for the folks who kept it running this long. On the other hand, the candid and genuine are of the cast at the end was heartwarming.

It was special. This is not the end of ALW, it is the end of Hal Prince forever on Broadway. That is the biggest loss of all.

Anyone wanna dumpster dive the Majestic tonight around 9? I want that elephant.

by Anonymousreply 217April 16, 2023 9:46 AM

I thought there was a Sunday Phantom show as the last one.

by Anonymousreply 218April 16, 2023 11:22 AM

There is, r218, but tickets were not available to the general public.

by Anonymousreply 219April 16, 2023 11:39 AM

[quote]Saw Leopoldstadt tonight. Gosh it was... talky. Wonderful cast (except for Josh Molina, who seemed to be channeling Nick Kroll) and, yes, the impact of seeing the family grow and then vanish except for a few survivors was very powerful, but there was also a hell of a lot of speechifying in a 2-hour show. I don't really have much experience with Stoppard's work, but assume that isn't unusual for him?

ALL of his plays are like that, though some are even worse than others (and none is worse in that regard that THE COAST OF UTOPIA, which gave us NINE HOURS of speechifying).

LEOPOLDSTADT is ultimately very compelling because of the subject matter and the specific reason you cited (we see that huge, extended family reduced to one or two individuals), but sadly, Stoppard's one tremendous failing as a dramatist is still very much in evidence.

by Anonymousreply 220April 16, 2023 12:26 PM

Any gossip on John Riddle? I saw him on TV yesterday and agree with the poster above that he's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 221April 16, 2023 1:25 PM

I don't understand this speculation that PHANTOM will soon come back but in a "reduced" production off-Broadway. There are no off-Broadway theaters that could accommodate even a reduced version of the show. Now, if it were to come back to a smaller Broadway house, I suppose that's a pssibility, though I hope it never happens and doesn't re-open in NY until after I die.

by Anonymousreply 222April 16, 2023 1:46 PM

R206. I received a response from Ann to my complaint. She agreed his comments were unacceptable, but did not say what action, if any, she planned to take (nor was she under any obligation to), but maybe weā€™re seeing it. Letā€™s hope.

by Anonymousreply 223April 16, 2023 3:06 PM

Riddle has a nice dick.

by Anonymousreply 224April 16, 2023 3:47 PM

A friend posted about seeing yesterdayā€™s matinee and they say Ben Crawford was on

by Anonymousreply 225April 16, 2023 3:50 PM

So today's Phantom will be done in the nude?

by Anonymousreply 226April 16, 2023 3:59 PM

r225, I hate to break it to you, but your friend is dumb, especially if they can't tell the difference between Ben Crawford and Ted Keegan.

Keegan announced it on his Instagram page a few hours before the show yesterday, and there are numerous videos of him at the curtain call.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 16, 2023 4:52 PM

Yep, R225, your friend needs glasses, Ben Crawford played his last performance on April 1st. He is gone baby gone. The far superior Ted Keegan did indeed play the matinee yesterday, and he was glorious.

by Anonymousreply 228April 16, 2023 5:00 PM

R223 what did Singapore post?

by Anonymousreply 229April 16, 2023 5:02 PM

Why all the Ben Crawford hate? He's a lovely guy with a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 230April 16, 2023 5:13 PM

I love Crawfordā€™s Phantom. He oozes sexuality in the role.

by Anonymousreply 231April 16, 2023 5:16 PM

Ben Crawford had some sort of vocal/emotional breakdown and completely vanished, throwing the entire final week into chaos and robbing the production of a less stressful end of run. Ben is a sweet guy, but ever since he returned post-pandemic, heā€™s been a mess, an unreliable part of the show. Hereā€™s wishing him some peace and clarity in the coming monthsā€¦

by Anonymousreply 232April 16, 2023 5:25 PM

S/F referred to the very nice KingSpeed as "Girl" in a post. When KS said he's a man, and basically to knock it off, S/F replied by calling him "Mary". Which is sexual harassment and bullying among other things, which is a violation of ATC's Terms of Service. This is especially interesting since S/FuckingFling is a leader there in talking about sexual identity and nomenclature, race issues, etc. I hope he is gone for good, and I hope his students have learned to take defensive action against him and call out all his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 233April 16, 2023 5:29 PM

Playbill has the scoop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 16, 2023 5:29 PM

R224 Riddle me that, Batman!

by Anonymousreply 235April 16, 2023 5:30 PM

[Quote] This is especially interesting

Is it?

by Anonymousreply 236April 16, 2023 5:31 PM

to R229 and others who WW'd posting about it. They asked.

by Anonymousreply 237April 16, 2023 5:32 PM

I wai need

by Anonymousreply 238April 16, 2023 5:34 PM

Today I learned that the Ambassador, Belasco, Cort (now the Jones) and Hayes were all considered possible venues for the Late Show with David Letterman leading up to its premiere. It's interesting to think about how that could have changed the course of the district.

by Anonymousreply 239April 16, 2023 5:39 PM

In the past, posters on ATC who broke the rules would be warned and possibly suspended for a brief period, then let back on.

So, unfortunately, S/Fling might return shortly, if he hasn't been suspended before.

On the other hand, the site is Ann's to do with as she and her (I think it's two) partners see things, and she can ban him forever if she wants to. People have been banned in the past for being no more than irritants, unlike the genuinely obnoxious S/Fling.

I know of one who was dropped because he radiated a kind of deliberately obtuse attitude and inflated threads by replying with unnecessary Thank Yous and whatnot, and another who was so absurdly sensitive he couldn't bear anyone's disagreeing with him (however mildly) and would try to have threads canceled for that reason.

In the end, Ann is sensible and S/Fling is hateful, and that may be what deep sixes him. Let us hope.

by Anonymousreply 240April 16, 2023 8:54 PM

R239. Thatā€™s useless info. It would have been for the worse, if it had ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 241April 16, 2023 9:02 PM

Banning is silly because a banned person hits to create a different account is immediately start posting again

by Anonymousreply 242April 16, 2023 9:28 PM

Itā€™s getting close to the Tonys. Is there still talk of getting Lea Michele a special Tony for Funny Girl?

Will she get the Bette Midler/Liza Minnelli Tony from the 70s that was legit called ā€œAdding luster to the Broadway season?

by Anonymousreply 243April 16, 2023 9:31 PM

Old news at this point, though I thought someone would have posted it by now. Laird Mackintosh is the final Phantom. They finally announced Crawford is out with a viral infection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244April 16, 2023 9:44 PM

[Quote] Is there still talk of getting Lea Michele a special Tony for Funny Girl?

No

by Anonymousreply 245April 16, 2023 9:49 PM

Ah, I missed r234's link. Mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 246April 16, 2023 10:02 PM

I think they should give her one. She fucking rescued that disaster and legitimately made it a huge seller. Everyone has basically forgotten the huge stench of Beanie from a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 247April 16, 2023 10:23 PM

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they awarded Lea with a special Tony but wonder if it wouldn't be more effective to surprise her and us? Have her perform a number from FG and then spring the Tony Award on her, presented, of course, by bff Jonathan Groff (or Barbra herself - can you imagine??).

Either way, it would create quite the memorable sensation, much more fun than her knowing about it beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 248April 16, 2023 10:35 PM

Were S/F's "offensive" comments to C-List (KingSpeed) on ATC deleted? I don't see them. What thread/topic were they in?

Anyway, S/F just commented on Parade.

by Anonymousreply 249April 16, 2023 10:49 PM

What time is the final PHANTOM performance? Was it this afternoon or will it be tonight?

by Anonymousreply 250April 16, 2023 10:54 PM

I was able to see the show 4 times over its run and enjoyed it every time. And I'll always remember one July 4th weekend about 5 or 6 years ago, I was in the elevator with this young black woman who lived in my building and we were making small talk about plans for the long weekend. I said I was thankful to have the whole weekend off and she said she'd love to but "I'm in the chorus of 'Phantom of the Opera' and we have two shows today." Of course lots of people here work in the theater industry (so it's not a big deal per se) but it still took me aback when she said it because she said it so casually -- her tone was very much "hey, it's just a job" like working in a grocery store or hospital or something and I greatly admired that. No pretentiousness whatsoever, just a hard-working girl on her way to work in one of the biggest musicals on Broadway.

Well, who knows if she's still part of the show but, if not, I sincerely hope she got to attend the final performance today.

by Anonymousreply 251April 16, 2023 10:54 PM

Lea got her career back and was uncancelled. That's better than a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 252April 16, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote]There is, [R218], but tickets were not available to the general public.

"General public? GENERAL PUBLIC? I ain't the general public!!!"

by Anonymousreply 253April 16, 2023 11:39 PM

Show was at 5. Probably started very late and running very long.

Lots of humble brag posts from folks who pretend to be saying congrats but just want to boast theyā€™re there

by Anonymousreply 254April 17, 2023 12:02 AM

It's gonna feel so strange when that marquee comes down.

by Anonymousreply 255April 17, 2023 12:37 AM

It's a great theater though, it will be good to make it available again.

by Anonymousreply 256April 17, 2023 1:42 AM

With Cheers and Tears, ā€˜Phantom of the Operaā€™ Ends Record Broadway Run:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 17, 2023 3:05 AM

Michael Crawford Posts Tribute to Phantom of the Opera:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258April 17, 2023 3:08 AM

I can only hope this will also mean the end of all posts about PHANTOM and its casts, past and present.

Now, if only CHICAGO would finally close.

by Anonymousreply 259April 17, 2023 3:09 AM

Phollies Phorever!

by Anonymousreply 260April 17, 2023 3:19 AM

R158 Marcel Spears was also in The Mayor with Lea Michele, but I might have been the only person that watched that.

by Anonymousreply 261April 17, 2023 4:06 AM

Man, tell us how you really feel, Ben...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 17, 2023 5:58 AM

R262 Really bad luck for him, will he work again?

by Anonymousreply 263April 17, 2023 5:59 AM

Apparently closing night Phantom attendees got a special Playbill and big souvenir book like the regular one they used to have but with more pages and a special cover.

...they're already there, at the final red carpet show, VIPs (or well-connected people!) only....and you still give them treats?

Should have been available to the public.

by Anonymousreply 264April 17, 2023 7:03 AM

Since deleted, R262.

What was it?

by Anonymousreply 265April 17, 2023 7:25 AM

Saw Lea in Funny Girl this weekend. Sometimes things live up to the hype. The role fit her like a glove. Just fantastic. Tovah's voice has gotten quite gruff since Pippin, but she was great, too. And how could you not love Jared Grimes? What a wonderful, warm presence he has. And, of course, what a dancer! I was wondering what I remembered him from -- he was in perhaps the best musical revue I've ever seen, After Midnight.

by Anonymousreply 266April 17, 2023 7:48 AM

So, I just got back from London and I saw seven shows in seven days, here are my brief thoughts on the first three:

Guys & Dolls - one of the most innovative and spectacular stagings of any show Iā€™ve ever seen. The immersive production (I stood) as it stands will never fly in NYC with fire codes, etc. but even in a lesser form it will be enthralling, especially if you choose to stand. The bonus intermission concert and post-show disco party only makes the entire experience more fun and memorable. Every accent was perfect and the entire cast was excellent. Also, there is a gay club visited during the Havana sequence which makes perfect sense. The multi-racial casting worked beautifully. A powerhouse production, putting shame to the shit being hoisted on Broadway for quadruple the price.

Newsies - a fantastic space utilized very well with a so-so show. The (black) lead was not up to snuff and the woke casting took me totally out of the era (1890s), particularly since he had none of the charisma or vocal talent of Jeremy Jordan in the original. Heā€™s the weak link, besides the middling score/book. That said, the new choreography is outstanding and the (again) immersive staging was thrilling and made a subpar show seem better than it is. Definitely worth the schlep to Wembley.

A Streetcar Named Desire - Paul Mescal is apparently the new Hollywood golden boy, so it was exciting to see him live onstage in such an iconic role (maybe the most?). He was electrifying in a sparse but effective rendering of one of my favorite plays. Yes, he does make Stanley more ā€œhumanā€, yet he was absolutely terrifying, feral, sexy and bestial when required. A magnificent performance that deserves all the acclaim that he has gotten for it. Also, the ā€œcoup de theatreā€ rain effect was elegantly done and incorporated well into the overall directorial/scenic conceit - a live wire light bulb inundated with Louisiana rain as Blanche descends fully into madness.

I also saw Bat out of Hell final performance, the immersive Cabaret revival plus Titus Andronicus & The Winterā€™s Tale at Shakespeareā€™s Globe of anybody cares to hear more thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 267April 17, 2023 7:58 AM

R267 - yes, curious to hear your take on the Cabaret production. Every clip I've seen on a variety of TV performances have been so heavy-handed, but some things just have to be seen live to be appreciated, I know.

by Anonymousreply 268April 17, 2023 8:14 AM

[quote]Today I learned that the Ambassador, Belasco, Cort (now the Jones) and Hayes were all considered possible venues for the Late Show with David Letterman leading up to its premiere. It's interesting to think about how that could have changed the course of the district.

Why when the Ed Sullivan was available and already a TV studio/theatre? "Kate & Allie" shot there for CBS.

by Anonymousreply 269April 17, 2023 10:25 AM

[quote]Guys & Dolls - one of the most innovative and spectacular stagings of any show Iā€™ve ever seen. The immersive production (I stood) as it stands will never fly in NYC with fire codes, etc. but even in a lesser form it will be enthralling, especially if you choose to stand.

NY has never shied away from immersive shows.

by Anonymousreply 270April 17, 2023 10:27 AM

R265,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271April 17, 2023 11:45 AM

Oh dear. Bad move, Ben. Though one of the Phantom swings posted a lovely tribute to him yesterday and made him sound like a wonderful company leader. Hope he's ok.

by Anonymousreply 272April 17, 2023 11:48 AM

May have deleted it on Twitter but it's still in his Instagram stories so he's standing by it.

by Anonymousreply 273April 17, 2023 11:50 AM

Watched a bit of the final Phantom curtain call and even shed a tear MARY when members of the OBC came out led by Sarah and Judy Kaye.

by Anonymousreply 274April 17, 2023 12:04 PM

Is there a link to a good clip, r276?

by Anonymousreply 275April 17, 2023 12:26 PM

sorry r274

by Anonymousreply 276April 17, 2023 12:26 PM

Iā€™m sorry, to whom was Ben directing his comment?

by Anonymousreply 277April 17, 2023 1:19 PM

Every other actor that ever played the Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 278April 17, 2023 1:32 PM

r267, I was in London a couple of weeks ago and totally agree with your assessments of Guys & Dolls and Streetcar. Didn't you just love Andrew Richardson's Sky? What a hottie and a huge star in the making. And Patsy Ferran as Blanche? Best and most heart-breaking I've ever seen and my Blanches go back to Rosemary Harris in 1973. Very sorry she was denied the Olivier.

Yes, curious about your take on that Cabaret. I didn't think I needed to see it as it seemed so heavy-handed in clips but we had a free night and tix were available at the 1/2 price booth so we saw it and loved it. Same director, Rebecca Frecknall, as that Streetcar, and once again, she reinvented the material. Highly theatrical and great fun! The in the round staging seemed to me to allow for less reality and it really worked. I had wondered before seeing it, why is Sally wearing an over large beige suit to sing Cabaret at the end, but one has to see the production to get it (no spoilers!).

by Anonymousreply 279April 17, 2023 1:38 PM

Here, R275.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 17, 2023 1:42 PM

Thanks r280

by Anonymousreply 281April 17, 2023 1:51 PM

So is it true Ben attended the final show? If so, he must have tweeted that while in the audience ā€” at intermission, I guess, judging from the time stamp. Tacky.

by Anonymousreply 282April 17, 2023 2:05 PM

What was Ben's tweet?

by Anonymousreply 283April 17, 2023 2:11 PM

R282, yes, he was there. On the 11:00 news last night, they showed him taking a bow during curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 284April 17, 2023 2:23 PM

For anyone who missed it, the cast of NYNY performed on GMA last week:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285April 17, 2023 2:24 PM

R283, see R271.

by Anonymousreply 286April 17, 2023 2:24 PM

I also saw the London Cabaret with Aimee Lou Wood (I had no idea she was in the cast) and McCrea. Most expensive ticket I have ever bought at a London box office (ROH excluded) but, thankfully, I did not regret it. I loved it. It is great.

by Anonymousreply 287April 17, 2023 2:28 PM

Lea Michele deserves a Tony for the same reason Hugh Jackman deserved his in 2004: Jackman took a critically-scorned show (The Boy From Oz) and made it a hit. Lea Michele has one the same thing - and had to withstand constant attacks by Twitter vigilantes at the same time. She doesn't just deserve a Tony, she deserves a medal.

Her professionalism under fire is exactly the sort of thing the business (and Tony Awards committee) should reward.

by Anonymousreply 288April 17, 2023 3:09 PM

oops - "done" the same thing (not "one")

by Anonymousreply 289April 17, 2023 3:11 PM

Thank you for sharing, Lea.

by Anonymousreply 290April 17, 2023 3:12 PM

Funny, R290! No, I'm not affiliated with Lea or "her people" in any way, shape or form. I'm just sick of the notion that artists have to be nice people. As long as they aren't criminals then it really is a case of MYOB. I recently read an opinion piece suggesting Picasso should be cancelled for being an emotionally abusive creep as a lover. Wtf?!

by Anonymousreply 291April 17, 2023 3:18 PM

Since you asked....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292April 17, 2023 4:09 PM

Does Ben Crawford have herpes?

by Anonymousreply 293April 17, 2023 4:20 PM

Lea Michele deserves a Tony for saving Funny Girl?

Reba McEntire circa 2001 would like a word!

by Anonymousreply 294April 17, 2023 4:42 PM

Reba deserved one, too, for a different reason. She didn't exactly "save" AGYG. The show was doing very well w/ Bernadette, who won a (maybe not terribly well deserved) Tony for her performance. Reba was a much better fit for the role, and the show was more enjoyable with her in it, but it was not the disaster that Funny Girl was with Beanie, either critically or commercially.

by Anonymousreply 295April 17, 2023 4:44 PM

Why didn't anybody ever get Donna Douglas (Elly May Clampett from "The Beverly Hillbillies") to play Annie Oakley? She sang opposite Elvis in "Frankie and Johnny" and that's pretty much how Bernadette played her in AGYG.

by Anonymousreply 296April 17, 2023 5:00 PM

But then again, Elly May loved her critters, but I think her Pa and Jethro went hunting. Granny sure loved to make all kinds of vittles out of possums.

by Anonymousreply 297April 17, 2023 5:01 PM

It was very classy of them to bring Ben onstage for the final bows. And he wasnā€™t ever ā€œfiredā€, there was just a very intense period where the ā€œunknownā€ became a bit of a struggle. Heā€™s an emotional guy, and itā€™s u definitely understandable how his vocal concerns helped escalate the disappointment of knowing he wouldnā€™t be able to continue in the show. Heā€™d make a grand Sweeney Todd once heā€™s all healed up.

by Anonymousreply 298April 17, 2023 5:27 PM

[quote]I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they awarded Lea with a special Tony but wonder if it wouldn't be more effective to surprise her and us? Have her perform a number from FG and then spring the Tony Award on her, presented, of course, by bff Jonathan Groff (or Barbra herself - can you imagine??).

And sitting in the front row will be Ben Platt who's head will explode. You know he and best friend Beanie were convinced they would both have Tonys when she was cast.

by Anonymousreply 299April 17, 2023 5:28 PM

R298, of course you didn't need to comment at all on whatever the hell it is that's been going on with Ben Crawford, but since you chose to do so, IMHO and FWIW, your extremely vague post is pointless.

by Anonymousreply 300April 17, 2023 6:27 PM

what's with the greyed out/strike through text?

by Anonymousreply 301April 17, 2023 6:28 PM

In its Tony campaigning [italic] & Juliet [/italic] is launching a podcast. Looks like a way to put their creatives forward by using the celebrity of other friends of the production. Here's how they describe the first:

[quote] The & Juliet Podcast kicks off with longtime Sondheim collaborator James Lapine & book writer David West Read on their approach to writing, and Sara Bareilles & Max Martin on the intersection of pop and Broadway. Stay tuned for Jerry Mitchell & choreographer Jennifer Weber, and Kenny Leon & director Luke Sheppard.

Sad how they describe Lapine as "longtime Sondheim collaborator" when it's so irrelevant here. It's the only thing he'll ever be known as.

by Anonymousreply 302April 17, 2023 7:24 PM

New pic of Cynthia Erivo and Ariana Grande. It was making me crazy what Erivo reminded me of, and then I recalled the aliens who abducted Burt on "Soap."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303April 17, 2023 7:39 PM

Man, Erivo is one ugly woman.

by Anonymousreply 304April 17, 2023 8:34 PM

Inside even more than out, R304.

by Anonymousreply 305April 17, 2023 9:09 PM

So is this the anorexic version of Wicked?

by Anonymousreply 306April 17, 2023 9:11 PM

Is Darfur Orphan Ariana's stand-in?

by Anonymousreply 307April 17, 2023 9:23 PM

I don't care if it's an ethnic thing, no human being looks good with a nose ring.

by Anonymousreply 308April 17, 2023 9:58 PM

They should've gotten Chrissy Metz for Elphaba.

by Anonymousreply 309April 17, 2023 9:59 PM

[quote]Man, Erivo is one ugly woman.

She's ugly enough for several women.

by Anonymousreply 310April 17, 2023 10:05 PM

What an unappealing duo.

by Anonymousreply 311April 17, 2023 10:16 PM

I know some of you are tired of "Phantom" stories but this is a very nice read by two Playbill writers who attended the final performance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312April 17, 2023 11:22 PM

Something tells me this is going to be a box office disappointment. Not because Erivo is black- she's going to be in green makeup, for christ's sakes- but John Chu is a really shitty director, especially with musicals, which aren't his strong suit. People don't want to see this story turned into a crazily edited ADHD movie.

by Anonymousreply 313April 17, 2023 11:25 PM

r313 In The Heights was fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 314April 17, 2023 11:30 PM

Yeah, I expect this Wicked film to be frenetic, ponderous, screechy and over-designed, just by those photos (and Chu's previous shit). But watch it flop and only boost Wicked's business on Broadway and the road for another 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 315April 18, 2023 1:04 AM

Here is what I see:

The critics will marvel at Cynthia Ervio and applaud both the leads being non-white.

Michelle Yeoh will be acclaimed for Madame Morrible, but they will also say that she was ā€œunderusedā€

It will make money like the live action Disney moviesā€¦but wonā€™t be a superhit

by Anonymousreply 316April 18, 2023 1:08 AM

[quote]The critics will marvel at Cynthia Ervio and applaud both the leads being non-white.

Then the critics might want to do a little fact checking.

Per WIki: Ariana Grande-Butera was born on June 26, 1993, in Boca Raton, Florida.[3][4] She is the daughter of Joan Grande, the Brooklyn-born CEO of Hose-McCann Communications, a manufacturer of communications and safety equipment owned by the Grande family since 1964,[5] and Edward Butera, a graphic design firm owner in Boca Raton.[6][7] Grande is of Italian[8] descent and has described herself as an Italian American with Sicilian and Abruzzese roots.[9]

by Anonymousreply 317April 18, 2023 1:29 AM

R317 Are you new here? DL will be quick to tell you that Italian Americans are white adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 318April 18, 2023 1:31 AM

NW

by Anonymousreply 319April 18, 2023 1:37 AM

[quote]R317, Are you new here? DL will be quick to tell you that Italian Americans are white adjacent.

Not true. Only a handful of persistent, loudmouth morons on DL will try to convince you of that utter bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 320April 18, 2023 1:54 AM

Wicked will be just fine

by Anonymousreply 321April 18, 2023 2:01 AM

R320 Oh sweetie, I was taking the piss of that belief.

by Anonymousreply 322April 18, 2023 2:07 AM

Absolutely, R279! I tried to keep my comments as brief as possible, but no question that Andrew Richardson walked away with the show - which, given how spectacular the entire experience is, was no small feat! I was mere inches away from him during several scenes (including the wet ones) and he is as sexy and charismatic up close as onstage (and smells great!). Heā€™s definitely a huge star in the making, heā€™s got it all. Also loved the Blanche in Streetcar - a very thoughtful and thought-through performance, perhaps a bit too small (for some) given what we have come to expect from that role which may be why she has not been appreciated as much as she deserves to be. As I said, I could write much more about each production but nobody really cares here. So glad you were equally enraptured by both, as well!

by Anonymousreply 323April 18, 2023 2:09 AM

R323 Oh jesus, just write about what your saw, you won't get a written invitation. You seem weak.

by Anonymousreply 324April 18, 2023 2:26 AM

[quote]Wicked will be just fine.

Only if Cynthia removes that nose ring.

by Anonymousreply 325April 18, 2023 2:47 AM

[Quote] Yeah, I expect this Wicked film to be freneticā€¦

Films, dear, [italic] filmS [/italic] , if you please.

by Anonymousreply 326April 18, 2023 3:00 AM

Either things have improved dramatically since early previews, or Groban's weaknesses in Sweeney have been overstated. Saw him this weekend and thought he was excellent. I was not remotely excited about his casting, but he worked very well in the role. Much more gravitas and darkness than I was expecting -- and, yes, well before Epiphany. I don't even like his pop-opera recording career or, frankly, the sound of his 'dayjob' singing voice, so I was even surprised at how great he sounded -- adding darker color and character to his voice than I've heard before.

Annaleigh was very good, too. Yes, a few moments of broad physical comedy, but they weren't distracting and she didn't overdo it.

Orchestra sounded magnificent. Rest of the cast was very strong (understudy/standby was on for Anthony and he was strong.)

The ensemble choreography was dumb as fuck. I'll give you that. It was like... a cheer squad choreographer had been hired at the last minute. A bizarre choice.

No sound issues whatsoever, either.

I went in deeply skeptical of the casting and assuming I'd just enjoy hearing the score played by a full orchestra, but left hoping to return before the run ends.

Will Sondheimheads have things to quibble about? Of course... when do we not? But, if you can score non-premium tickets, I'd say it's can't miss.

by Anonymousreply 327April 18, 2023 3:49 AM

Laura Benanti was just on Colbert's show as Melania and she was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 328April 18, 2023 4:01 AM

A certain disgraced costume designer attended the Phantom finale and after-party. I've seen grease stains not hang around with such persistenceā€”what is he up to these days? Is he still getting hired? Does he identify with the Phantom? So many questions.

by Anonymousreply 329April 18, 2023 11:51 AM

Both Bernadette and Patti look to have high profile film and TV roles coming up. Bernadette is starring in the new Apple TV show 'High Desert' with Patricia Arquette, Matt Dillon and Rupert Friend. And Patti seems to already be earning acclaim as Joaquin Phoenix's mother in Beau is Not Afraid.

by Anonymousreply 330April 18, 2023 12:38 PM

[r330] Patti is also doing a Sondheim show at the Hollywood Bowl with DL villain Sutton Foster. Are any of you guys going?

Iā€™m thinking of flying outā€¦but I also have tickets later in the year to see Bernadette in the Sondheim show in London and that took up a lot of my fun money for the year

by Anonymousreply 331April 18, 2023 12:54 PM

R331 - thanks for the tip. I'd missed that announcement. And that it's a Sondheim tribute concert. Perhaps I'll time a trip home to Southern California around the concert. Curious about how many other performers will be announced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332April 18, 2023 1:33 PM

For anyone interested, Patti will be on ā€œThe Viewā€ later this morning.

by Anonymousreply 333April 18, 2023 1:57 PM

A sloppy birthday blowjob for Gavin Creel today.

by Anonymousreply 334April 18, 2023 2:40 PM

r329, that disgraced costume designer has not been hired for anything since the cast and crew of DIANA, THE MUSICAL refused to allow him to enter the theater when they filmed the thing during Covid. You'll note he did not design (former?) BFF Stro's latest musical NY, NY. Nor anything else. He's lucky he can quietly retire to his properties on the North Carolina shores and live off his union pension and what's left of his royalties

by Anonymousreply 335April 18, 2023 2:41 PM

[quote]Patti is also doing a Sondheim show at the Hollywood Bowl with DL villain Sutton Foster.

That concert will be co-curated by Kevin Stites and......Robert Longbottom, whom I really thought we would never hear from again. Has he been working steadily all these years in places and venues I'm not aware of? Or does he just resurface erratically every several years, like some kind of sea monster?

by Anonymousreply 336April 18, 2023 2:57 PM

Does that show end with Patti pushing Sutton into the orchestra pit?

by Anonymousreply 337April 18, 2023 3:00 PM

I was looking through some old local Playbills and found a tour of GREASE! from October, 1995.....Adrian Zmed was Danny......and according to a small insert the part of Sandy Dombrowski was played that night by:

SUTTON FOSTER - was recently seen as a new Ziegfeld girl in the touring company of "The Will Rogers Follies". Other credits: teen vocalist in Ed McMahon's Star Search '91. Thanks to Mom, Dad, Big Bro Hunter and The Lord. "The Lord is thy shade upon they right hand." Psalm 12:15

and joining the GREASE! ensemble is Erin Leigh Peck! Miss Lynch was played by Sally Struthers and Donny Most was Vince Fontaine.

by Anonymousreply 338April 18, 2023 3:12 PM

Oh and the reviewer singled out Sutton Foster's "slow motion split" as a highlight of the fun evening.

Did she do the splits in The Music Man?

by Anonymousreply 339April 18, 2023 3:15 PM

I think it would be funny if the announcer announced them as:

ā€œLadies and Gentlemen please welcome the actress who was nominated for a Tony as Reno Sweeney in Anything Goes, Patti LuPone. Also please welcome the actress who actually WON the Tony for playing Reno Sweeney, Sutton Fosterā€

by Anonymousreply 340April 18, 2023 3:17 PM

Not a Patti fan, but she looked great on The View and took some satisfying verbal hits at Trump.

by Anonymousreply 341April 18, 2023 4:54 PM

Wow. Just won the Parade lottery for Wednesday night! Front mezzanine for $45.

by Anonymousreply 342April 18, 2023 5:19 PM

[quote]The ensemble choreography was dumb as fuck. I'll give you that. It was like... a cheer squad choreographer had been hired at the last minute. A bizarre choice.

Sorry can't be any worse than the last production with Lupone lugging around a fucking tuba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343April 18, 2023 6:20 PM

[r343] what I will say though is that at least she was game to do that.

Could you imagine Lauren Bacall playing a flute during act 2 of Women of the Year?

by Anonymousreply 344April 18, 2023 6:58 PM

R344 Imagine, her singing.

by Anonymousreply 345April 18, 2023 7:09 PM

ā€˜The Phantom Of The Operaā€™ Goes Out On High Note With $3.7M Weekly Gross:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 18, 2023 7:52 PM

Drama Desk Awards will have genderless acting categories; nominations date announced:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347April 18, 2023 8:01 PM

R347 Porkchop will be happy.

by Anonymousreply 348April 18, 2023 8:51 PM

Iā€™m fine with genderless categories. Itā€™s kind of goofy that we put men vs men and women vs women.

However, it means half the number of winners.

If they did that for the Oscars, for example, it would mean only two actors being honored each year.

by Anonymousreply 349April 18, 2023 8:55 PM

Won't they have more nominees in the genderless categories than they previously had?

by Anonymousreply 350April 18, 2023 8:56 PM

According to the article, there will be two winners for each category:

[quote]The updated gender-free categories are: Outstanding Leading Performer in a Play, Outstanding Leading Performer in a Musical, Outstanding Featured Performer in a Play and Outstanding Featured Performer in a Musical.

[quote]Each of these categories will have twice as many nominees as the former gendered categories. The categories will also have two winners each. If there is a tie, there may be more than two winners in a category.

by Anonymousreply 351April 18, 2023 8:58 PM

Maybe more nominees but that just means ridiculously crowded categories where one or two usually stand above the rest.

by Anonymousreply 352April 18, 2023 8:59 PM

Oh just get used to it, old fart at r352. The world is changing whether you can deal with it or not. It's just a minor theatre award, not the cure for cancer.

by Anonymousreply 353April 18, 2023 9:41 PM

Why two awards for every category. Kind of cheapens the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 354April 18, 2023 9:43 PM

It totally cheapens it. If there are two "winners" then no one actually wins.

by Anonymousreply 355April 18, 2023 10:07 PM

Personally, I was hoping that it would just make those tedious awards shows half as long.

by Anonymousreply 356April 18, 2023 10:14 PM

Why not just have an award for Best Performance in a Male Role and one for in a Female Role (though of course non-binaries would complain, so if there were enough to qualify, in a non-binary role).

by Anonymousreply 357April 18, 2023 10:15 PM

Honestly, why are we catering to the made up bullshit of "non-binary?" It's as though a handful of people decided they were purple dinosaurs and we scrambled to make a category- Best Performance by a Purple Dinosaur. It's bullshit. And if you don't have the balls to declare a single winner, then do without competition altogether and do what the Obies do. But nooooo, that wouldn't get you the PR interest you so desperately desire. So instead, we're going to declare two winners, which most likely will be male and female, and now you're back to where you started at the beginning, except no one can claim a win. At best, it's a tie.

by Anonymousreply 358April 18, 2023 10:17 PM

Hannah Waddingham as Mame!

by Anonymousreply 359April 18, 2023 10:38 PM

Lucie Arnaz as Mame

by Anonymousreply 360April 18, 2023 10:50 PM

Ben Platt as Gooch. Noah Galvin as Ito.

by Anonymousreply 361April 18, 2023 10:55 PM

The TONYs, like all competitive awards, are a marketing/PR device designed to help publicize individual shows, performers, and the industry as a whole. And like those other award shows (looking at you, Oscar), they're in decline. Audiences care less and less about these things, particularly younger audiences.

Nothing lasts forever. Consider how a staple of pop culture like the Miss America pageant has all but disappeared.

For the record, I think doing away with gendered categories is a terrible idea. It will not help rebuild an audience.

by Anonymousreply 362April 18, 2023 10:57 PM

as if the writing isn't on the wall?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 18, 2023 11:08 PM

non paywalll link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364April 18, 2023 11:10 PM

R362 How could you mention the decline of Broadway and Miss America in the same breath?~and forget me šŸ¤Ø

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365April 18, 2023 11:12 PM

This genderless category pandering WILL BLOW UP IN THEIR FACES.

Look at the Brit Awards. It's STILL going to be about keeping balanced quotas. And the minute there are more men than women, or more women than non-binary, or more straight men than gay women (see how tedious this is?) all hell will break lose from the TINY fraction of privileged arseholes on social media PUSHING this cockamamie, self-indulgent agenda.

This is what you get when you let the inmates run the asylum.

by Anonymousreply 366April 18, 2023 11:55 PM

R323: Feel free to blather away about the Bridge Guys and Dolls! Lord knows I've blathered away about Hytner's immersive Midsummer Night's Dream, which I've only seen thanks to streaming it on National Theatre at Home. I'm hoping G&D is filmed for streaming there. (Just like I continue to hope that a pro-shot film of the Nathan Lane-Faith Prince G&D arises from whatever crypt it's in.)

by Anonymousreply 367April 18, 2023 11:58 PM

"In this car you feel like everything's coming up roses..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368April 19, 2023 12:19 AM

R368 Wait, that's Palmer Cortlandt! I mean, James Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 369April 19, 2023 12:23 AM

No mention of Thelma "Tad" Tadlock, r369?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370April 19, 2023 12:26 AM

It's funny. I remember the name Tad Tadlock from my obsessive gayling childhood TV watching, but can't quite place where she performed. Was she a featured dancer on one of those variety hours like Garry Moore's or Perry Como's? Was she a Peter Gennaro Dancer? I'll have to check and see if she has a wiki page.

by Anonymousreply 371April 19, 2023 2:07 AM

Shit. All the answers are right there in r371's post.

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 372April 19, 2023 2:08 AM

Design for Dreaming

Marc Breaux in place of James Mitchell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373April 19, 2023 2:16 AM

Doing the math with her Wiki page, she started dancing at four.

by Anonymousreply 374April 19, 2023 2:26 AM

R367 That Midsummers is so fucking good. Still wank over the Oberon.

R359 I really hated her Witch in into The Woods, the first time I saw her. Just crass, but she seems to be the toast of some town now.

by Anonymousreply 375April 19, 2023 2:27 AM

Patti's aging better than Bernie!

(They couldn't take 10 seconds to promote her concert tour?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376April 19, 2023 5:10 AM

Patti's "imperious force" is duly noted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377April 19, 2023 5:27 AM

Was Fat Ham always a limited run through June? If not, a shame it didn't catch on with Broadway audiences. Loved it at The Public.

by Anonymousreply 378April 19, 2023 6:25 AM

Anything The Roundabout opens at The American Airlines Theatre is limited. If "Fat Ham" were to continue it's run it would have to relocate.

by Anonymousreply 379April 19, 2023 9:45 AM

Not necessarily.

by Anonymousreply 380April 19, 2023 11:40 AM

[quote]I agree. Like him or hate him, ALW pretty much kept Broadway afloat through the worst years of the AIDS crisis. Of course many people don't like what Broadway became in the aftermath, but I don't think ALW is necessarily responsible for that. I'd blame Guiliani for starters.

[quote]Well, if you're going to blame Disney, you have to blame their enabler, who was Guiliani.

Liberals are so weird. No wonder NYC has gone to shit since they took it back in the 2010s.

Blame Giuliani for what? Cleaning up the city of filth, crime, drugs, homelessness, etc. and making it safer once again?

You forget (or choose to ignore) that NYC was high on crime and homelessness and nearly went bankrupt when the Democrats were in power in the '70s and '80s.

Furthermore, Broadway attendance suffered because of the imminent danger of being mugged and/or killed, not AIDS, so nice history rewrite there.

What AIDS affected in the Broadway community was killing off many of the gay performers/creatives. That was a damn shame. That you can blame Reagan et al. and his slow response to the crisis.

by Anonymousreply 381April 19, 2023 11:45 AM

[quote] Liberals are so weird.

And that makes the rest of your post completely worthless. Thanks for saving us the time.

by Anonymousreply 382April 19, 2023 12:05 PM

[quote] That you can blame Reagan et al. and his slow response to the crisis.

Or more to the point: Dr. Fauci.

by Anonymousreply 383April 19, 2023 12:06 PM

Happy for Patti getting some positive attention. Just a shame it has to be in an Ari Aster film. That guy is a fucking horrible filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 384April 19, 2023 12:06 PM

Yeah Patti does seem to be on an upswing.

1) she looks great.

2) successful concert tour that has high profile stops at Carnegie Hall next year and the Hollywood bowl this year.

3) Choice role in a marvel television show

4) Oscar notices for her first big screen role in many years (if ever)

I know she gets ripped to shreds by some on here, but as a fan, Iā€™m happy to see things go well for her

by Anonymousreply 385April 19, 2023 12:15 PM

Patti and her two patties should have won something for 'Summer of Sam.'

by Anonymousreply 386April 19, 2023 1:07 PM

[quote] Not necessarily.

Roundabout has already announced the Danny DeVito play, with his daughter, for the fall at the American Airlines, r380

by Anonymousreply 387April 19, 2023 1:36 PM

I'd really like to know the reason Roundabout is producing so little these days.

by Anonymousreply 388April 19, 2023 2:19 PM

Your only post in this thread, r381?

by Anonymousreply 389April 19, 2023 2:23 PM

What do we think about 54 Below going the non-profit route? 501(c) Meatloaf anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 19, 2023 2:39 PM

Has anyone seen NYNY lately? Any changes? Is it still as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago?

by Anonymousreply 391April 19, 2023 3:02 PM

By the time you walk out you could pay $300 to listen to someone sing for an hour. Now they can get rich donators and benefactors to help keep the lights on and hopefully take away the food/drink minimums.

by Anonymousreply 392April 19, 2023 3:34 PM

Or at the very least lower the price of cocktails.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393April 19, 2023 4:40 PM

Maybe if it has to move they can serve Fat Ham on the side.

by Anonymousreply 394April 19, 2023 4:49 PM

Melania...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395April 19, 2023 6:02 PM

One year ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396April 19, 2023 9:26 PM

For those who don't want to click the IG link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 19, 2023 9:27 PM

Wake me up when Melania is cast in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 398April 19, 2023 10:20 PM

I saw New York, New York. All I can say is that Susan Stroman has done it again!

by Anonymousreply 399April 19, 2023 10:21 PM

Another Young Frankenstein, eh?

by Anonymousreply 400April 19, 2023 10:24 PM

[r399] welcome Mel to Datalounge!! Us queens would rather spend time with your wife Anne Bancroft, but weā€™re mostly nice here

by Anonymousreply 401April 19, 2023 10:29 PM

Some idiot on All That Chat wrote that MAME can't be revived because it "sentimentalizes the Old South." I agree that the show can't be revived, but for pity's sake, that's not the reason. The show doesn't "sentimentalize" the Old South, it does quite the opposite in satirizing it. The issue is that the satire is written in a very problematic way that's probably not acceptable day, in addition to the fact that the show is also hopelessly dated in other ways.

by Anonymousreply 402April 19, 2023 11:35 PM

GET ME GOOCH!

by Anonymousreply 403April 19, 2023 11:36 PM

R401 Us queens?!

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 404April 20, 2023 12:19 AM

More about Riddle!

by Anonymousreply 405April 20, 2023 12:21 AM

r154 I saw the National Theatre pro shot last year and was massively impressed. Yeah, that she would do this twice to herself is crazy. I have no idea how she finds the intestinal fortitude to do this once on the West End and then to want to do it again a year later on Broadway.

I do pick up from her interviews that she desperately wants to do theater and no one would even give her a chance before this play. I think she considers this her kamikaze audition for both major theatre scenes.

by Anonymousreply 406April 20, 2023 12:53 AM

No r195but if they want to revive it before too long they could get Ramin and Sierra Boggess together again. A lot of fans loved their chemistry and were rather obsessed with that pairing.

by Anonymousreply 407April 20, 2023 12:57 AM

Holy Shit! Todd Haimes died of cancer. This explains so much.

by Anonymousreply 408April 20, 2023 1:44 AM

The story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409April 20, 2023 2:01 AM

r405, I hate to admit I know this but if you're familiar with m a l e g e n e r a l, his dick pics are there. Easily found under a search of his name. There's one uncut one that's not him but the cut ones are.

by Anonymousreply 410April 20, 2023 2:04 AM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 411April 20, 2023 2:04 AM

^My Wow above was for r409

by Anonymousreply 412April 20, 2023 2:05 AM

That poster at R397 didn't age well at all.

by Anonymousreply 413April 20, 2023 2:07 AM

I worked at Roundabout for just a few months back in the early 2000s doing data entry after hours and would sometimes see Todd Haimes around the building. He seemed nice but very shy. One day I encountered him in the hall and said hello. He smiled and said hello back, then we both moved on and I can't remember if I ever saw him again after that. He did not have a diva air about him at all.

RIP, Todd.

by Anonymousreply 414April 20, 2023 2:32 AM

No, r413...

by Anonymousreply 415April 20, 2023 2:35 AM

NYT reviews "Peter Pan Goes Wrong":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416April 20, 2023 2:37 AM

Deadline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417April 20, 2023 2:38 AM

I did several shows for Todd at The Roundabout over the years, going back as early as the late 1980s when their main space was in Union Square. Todd was always beloved by all, a very modest and kind man, if of limited artistic vision. I do hope they find a great replacement for him (what an opportunity!) and not allow Scott Ellis to last more than as an interim producer.

by Anonymousreply 418April 20, 2023 3:15 AM

When does Roundabout Theatre announce Sara Porkalob as the new Artistic Director?

by Anonymousreply 419April 20, 2023 3:25 AM

Apparently Barry Humphries is on his deathbed. 89 is a good run, but, it's still sad. Such a funny man.

by Anonymousreply 420April 20, 2023 3:57 AM

R397 Yeah, it's weird seeing that poster and awful logo. Those idiots really thought fuckin' Beanie was going to be the next big thing on Broadway.

Well...she WAS big.

by Anonymousreply 421April 20, 2023 7:07 AM

R419 Porkalob just wrapped up her big run doing Shakespeare in Seattle for a 2nd rate company. She's now directing a play for another 2nd rate company in Seattle. She's far too busy to go back to NY and give 75% to running the Roundabout when she has important gigs in Seattle she can do at 75%!

by Anonymousreply 422April 20, 2023 7:09 AM

[quote]Well...she WAS big.

It's the costumes that got small!

by Anonymousreply 423April 20, 2023 7:35 AM

Not sure if this has been posted but Ben Crawford did an AMA on Reddit yesterday and some of his comments were certainly blunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424April 20, 2023 10:40 AM

I honestly don't know what he means by this: " I gave my life to the show & when I had to miss the last two weeks because Iā€™m always giving my all I got thrown out with the set."

I mean...the show was over. They threw out the whole cast. They had him there for the curtain call at the last show. What else were they supposed to do if he couldn't go on?

by Anonymousreply 425April 20, 2023 10:45 AM

R425 He talks about what he was expecting in another reply:

[quote]Did not feel great about the closing show. I was told there would be a big ā€œto doā€ & a thank you and it was a hand shake and then placed in the back.

by Anonymousreply 426April 20, 2023 11:13 AM

That's the way every actor is treated when every show closes. It's always "don't let the door hit you in the ass". Welcome to show business. Good luck getting your next job.

by Anonymousreply 427April 20, 2023 11:16 AM

Porky O'Sara will never work in this town again!

by Anonymousreply 428April 20, 2023 11:21 AM

Wow. Ben Crawford gives Porkalob a run for most self-involved performer to implode on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 429April 20, 2023 11:30 AM

Have any other Broadway people done AMAs on Reddit?

by Anonymousreply 430April 20, 2023 11:34 AM

How did I never know about this? So, apparently, some bloke named Ken Hill was the first to create a Phantom musical (setting new lyrics to melodies by classical composers) and, at first, Cameron and ALW wanted to produce Ken's version, but then decided to make their own? Even weirder, Ken Hill's version toured for several years (including after ALW's version was in the West End and on Broadway) and made a small fortune for Ken? I wonder, in those pre-internet days, how many people thought they were buying tickets for the 'other' Phantom??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431April 20, 2023 12:04 PM

More here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432April 20, 2023 12:05 PM

I just heard that Adrian Hall died back in February.

He was a crazy, flamboyant queen but a great director. Some of the stage pictures he created were amazing.

I didnā€™t realize he served in the Army. I donā€™t know how that would even work because he was the very definition of purses falling out of his mouth. And like many creative geniuses, his head was always in the clouds.

RIP Adrian. You made beautiful theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433April 20, 2023 12:41 PM

R426, if that's his idea of getting thrown out, and if he really expected more, he really is nuts.

by Anonymousreply 434April 20, 2023 12:41 PM

Maybe Ben should retire and take up pottery.

by Anonymousreply 435April 20, 2023 12:46 PM

Getting old ain't for sissies, but the NY Times couldn't have given Chita a slightly more flattering photo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436April 20, 2023 12:54 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 437April 20, 2023 1:14 PM

Give Chita a break. She was born in 1933, the same year as Ruth Bader Ginsburg. 90 doesnā€™t look great on anyone, When I saw her perform in 2018, I said it gave me confidence Ruth would make it to 2020. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

by Anonymousreply 438April 20, 2023 1:28 PM

There are far more flattering current photos of Chita they could have used.

by Anonymousreply 439April 20, 2023 1:36 PM

Ken Hill is a joke, now and forever. The other Phantom (that mattered) was by Maury Yeston.

by Anonymousreply 440April 20, 2023 1:45 PM

Poor Chita never had much to work with.

by Anonymousreply 441April 20, 2023 1:50 PM

I agree on Chita! Glad she is getting her due, but yikes on the photographs.

Yikes on Ben Crawford. I feel bad for the heat issue and the lack of AC. Itā€™s impossible to perform at top level if u feel ill from the heat. However the rest of the bitterness is on level with Arthur Laurents and he is king of cuntsā€¦so.

by Anonymousreply 442April 20, 2023 2:09 PM

God bless Chita but her book sounds dull. dull. dull.

by Anonymousreply 443April 20, 2023 2:20 PM

Chita's Broadway show was dull, dull, dull.

by Anonymousreply 444April 20, 2023 2:24 PM

If Parade wins Best Revival, will they recast Leo and keep it going?

by Anonymousreply 445April 20, 2023 2:33 PM

Well we know Chita has too much class to dish and write poorly of the dead so I guess some would consider her book dull.

by Anonymousreply 446April 20, 2023 2:44 PM

Beanie as Leo!

by Anonymousreply 447April 20, 2023 2:55 PM

From Crawford's AMA reddit at r424:

[quote] I love putting people in their place if itā€™s needed. Didnā€™t really happen at the stage door- usually itā€™s a person saying ā€œyou wereā€¦ pretty goodā€ to which I reply ā€œI know- itā€™s nowhere near as good the way YOU do "

and this:

[quote]Hey Ben! I came to see Phantom in February and I was in one of the box seats. During all I ask of you, when you're up in the little chandelier thing, idk what it's called, my father and I were watching you the whole time. That sounds a bit creepy but anyway we noticed it looked like you were on your phone and we're eating or drinking something. Is that what you do while you're up there? Is it just because you've been doing this for a while or is it just because it's boring to be up there? Love you Ben!ā¤ļø

[quote]Haha Iā€™m on my phone while I eat a pedialyte popsicle because the heat is terrible in the theatre.

He admits being on his phone sucking on a popsicle in view of the audience and thinks that's funny?

[quote]Chita's Broadway show was dull, dull, dull.

You're not wrong, r444, but it had its moments. I'm glad I saw it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448April 20, 2023 2:59 PM

R424 What's it MICHAEL Crawford who is famous for "Phantom of the Opera"?

by Anonymousreply 449April 20, 2023 3:20 PM

R449, no. Ben Crawford was the final full-time Phantom, but he had vocal and health issues in the final weeks.

He had commented on the symmetry of opening and closing with a Crawford in the title role. Instead, they closed with a Mackintosh. And no, I donā€™t mean Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 450April 20, 2023 3:24 PM

He sounds like a nut-job.

by Anonymousreply 451April 20, 2023 3:26 PM

Yes, but it's Michael on the OCR who is famous for the role.

by Anonymousreply 452April 20, 2023 3:27 PM

Seventies TV movie-of-the-week queen Linda Purl IS Joan Didion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453April 20, 2023 3:28 PM

Ben said that Phantom had never been done with a real baritone, isn't Norm Lewis a real baritone?

by Anonymousreply 454April 20, 2023 3:32 PM

Hmmm... I don't know if Linda Purl has the chops for this role.

Kay Lenz, maybe....

by Anonymousreply 455April 20, 2023 3:32 PM

HERE LIES LOVE finds its Imelda Marcos, at last.

I saw Arielle Jacobs in BETWEEN THE LINES and found her competent but unexciting. Don't know what she'll make of Imelda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456April 20, 2023 3:33 PM

Davis Gaines is a true baritone.

by Anonymousreply 457April 20, 2023 3:42 PM

[quote]NY Times couldn't have given Chita a slightly more flattering photo?

My gosh, I haven't thought of these in years!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458April 20, 2023 3:54 PM

R456. Competent but unexciting describes about 75% of the actors working on Broadway today.

by Anonymousreply 459April 20, 2023 4:20 PM

R457-Pity. These days he can barely open his mouth. He was so hot once.

by Anonymousreply 460April 20, 2023 4:22 PM

It seems like Chinaā€™s book would have been better has it been published posthumously A LA Mary Rodgers.

You can serve cunt from beyond the grave best!

by Anonymousreply 461April 20, 2023 4:23 PM

[quote]Hmmm... I don't know if Linda Purl has the chops for this role.

[quote]Kay Lenz, maybe....

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 462April 20, 2023 5:14 PM

Thanks for posting the Adrian Hall obituary. He directed the American premiere of Harold Pinter's funniest play, "The Hothouse," in Providence and that production transferred to Broadway in 1982. By coincidence, the set designer Eugene Lee, who worked with Hall in Providence for many years and won three Tonys, died two days after Hall in February.

by Anonymousreply 463April 20, 2023 5:42 PM

[quote]Davis Gaines is a true baritone.

So was Howard McGillin, and I'm sure there were others. Ben Crawford is coming across as a real putz in his latest tweets and comments, giving ALW a run for his money.

by Anonymousreply 464April 20, 2023 6:20 PM

Who cares about this nobody Ben Crawford??

Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 465April 20, 2023 7:26 PM

My take on the Ben Crawford situation: Even if he honestly feels he was treated badly as the run of PHANTOM ended (no matter how many people may disagree), it's still a spectacularly stupid movie to publicly badmouth the production. There was a time not so long ago when no actor with a functioning brain would ever dream of doing anything so idiotic, but I guess that was before social media and the internet....

by Anonymousreply 466April 20, 2023 7:30 PM

It's a shame that with all the Phantom love and happy memories shared by people associated with the production over the past few months Ben has to trash it. It's making him stand out in a very bad away.

by Anonymousreply 467April 20, 2023 7:36 PM

[quote]It's a shame that with all the Phantom love and happy memories shared by people associated with the production over the past few months Ben has to trash it. It's making him stand out in a very bad away.

Again, utter stupidity. Who does he think is going to hire him after all this? Or maybe he feels he has blown out his voice permanently and will never work again anyway, so he just wants to vent?

If he does work again, maybe he can go do a show with Sara Porkalob and Tonya Pinkins. They all deserve each other.

by Anonymousreply 468April 20, 2023 7:40 PM

Saw GOODNIGHT, OSCAR last night and while I enjoyed it a bit less than some, I'm really shocked that nobody caught the huge gaffe in the propping of the NBC TV Studio's Green Room set which prominently features four framed celebrity photographs, one of which is of a1950s Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Did no one connected with the production know that the couple was rather famously connected to CBS, not NBC? This is the sort of detail that drives me nuts and makes me lose faith in the entire production.

There's also a photo of Bette Davis from her All About Eve days but what she had to do with NBC TV is beyond me. I couldn't tell who was in the other two photos.

by Anonymousreply 469April 20, 2023 7:43 PM

[quote]I couldn't tell who was in the other two photos.

Sonny and Cher?

by Anonymousreply 470April 20, 2023 7:47 PM

Is this the first London production of THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING? The script doesn't really work, even with Redgrave -- but then it was VR all alone on stage, there to tell you something; and so I listened absolutely spellbound. I am not sure who else could possibly carry it off.

by Anonymousreply 471April 20, 2023 8:07 PM

Redgrave did it at the National Theatre in London after New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472April 20, 2023 8:23 PM

[quote]Ben said that Phantom had never been done with a real baritone, isn't Norm Lewis a real baritone?

Is the Phantom a baritone role? If so, high baritone. Doesn't Music of the Night go up to a high A at some points?

by Anonymousreply 473April 20, 2023 8:32 PM

r465, the same people who care about that nobody Sara Porkalob. Anyone who's interested in or entertained by Broadway performers behaving like jackasses in public.

by Anonymousreply 474April 20, 2023 8:35 PM

For what it's worth, I"ve seen a ton of Phantoms, and Ben Crawford played him the sexiest.

by Anonymousreply 475April 20, 2023 8:41 PM

Has Man 6 weighed in?

by Anonymousreply 476April 20, 2023 8:44 PM

I wonder what Cameron McIntosh thinks

by Anonymousreply 477April 20, 2023 9:40 PM

R469 - I saw it last week, too. Sean Hayes is very good, but it's not much of a play. As for those photos, perhaps they're intended to be phots of some of Jack Paar's more prominent guests?

by Anonymousreply 478April 20, 2023 9:51 PM

Well done, NYer cartoonist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479April 20, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote]I couldn't tell who was in the other two photos.

Madonna and Catherine Zeta-Jones

by Anonymousreply 480April 20, 2023 11:38 PM

I don't think Ben Crawford dumped on the show itself. In fact, he was very warm in his enthusiasm about playing the phantom and would happily do it again if asked. He had quarrels with the way he was treated by the penny-pinching producers, and his gripes sound justified. Was it so hard to get him an in-ear monitor system so that he could consistently perform the strenuous role? I mean, he HAD been playing it for several years. Take about taking your workers' loyalty for granted. They also treated him shabbily at the end.

by Anonymousreply 481April 20, 2023 11:52 PM

Go behind the scenes with the queer queens of ā€˜Bob Fosseā€™s Dancinā€™ā€™:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482April 21, 2023 12:41 AM

God, that hideous blond enby/tranny would keep me far away from that theater.

by Anonymousreply 483April 21, 2023 12:49 AM

[quote]Go behind the scenes with the queer queens of ā€˜Bob Fosseā€™s Dancinā€™ā€™:

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 484April 21, 2023 12:49 AM

How was DL fave Kathleen Chalfant in Magical Thinking? Wasn't it performed in different places all over Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 485April 21, 2023 1:57 AM

Where's Kathleen's Phaedra?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486April 21, 2023 2:08 AM

[quote]I don't think Ben Crawford dumped on the show itself.

Well, no, of course he didn't have problem with "the show itself" in terms of the writing or the direction. What a weird comment.

[quote]He had quarrels with the way he was treated by the penny-pinching producers, and his gripes sound justified. Was it so hard to get him an in-ear monitor system so that he could consistently perform the strenuous role? I mean, he HAD been playing it for several years. Take about taking your workers' loyalty for granted. They also treated him shabbily at the end.

First of all, I find it incredible that the show's sound system would not have included monitors, so I wonder if he's just an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. If he was able to perform the role for several years with no noticeable difficulty, why would it suddenly be necessary to get him an "in-ear-monitor system." Just because he thinks he was treated shabbily doesn't mean it's true. And finally, as I noted above, even if he honestly and truly feels he was not treated well, it's beyond stupid of him to air his grievances publicly through social media.

by Anonymousreply 487April 21, 2023 2:50 AM

If the photos in the NBC Studio Green Room were supposed to be of Jack Paar's "more prominent guests" then they should have been photos of Genevieve, Charley Weaver, Zsa Zsa Gabor and Jonathan Winters.

In any case, the set is the Green Room for lots of shows that were shot in that LA studio, not just the Paar show. And, as a matter of fact. much is made in the script that this is first time the Paar show was shot in LA. But thanks for trying, r478.

by Anonymousreply 488April 21, 2023 2:53 AM

Chalfant was good in Magical Thinking, but she was nowhere near as wonderful as Vanessa Redgrave was. Redgrave should have won the Tony over Julie White.

by Anonymousreply 489April 21, 2023 3:00 AM

Wow they really saved the best for last in the article at R482

by Anonymousreply 490April 21, 2023 3:05 AM

I don't know how many of you saw Redgrave in her small role in The Inheritance in London but her presence on stage for those 20 minutes or so at the end of the play was beyond incomparable. You couldn't take your eyes off her.

by Anonymousreply 491April 21, 2023 3:09 AM

Excuse me, r488, ex-c-u-u-u-s-e me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492April 21, 2023 3:09 AM

Sorry, Judy at r492, but Goodnight, Oscar takes place in 1958 at a Tonight Show taping and your infamous appearances with Jack were on The Jack Paar Show, 1960s and afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 493April 21, 2023 3:35 AM

Tony winner Aaron Tveit is on ā€œThe Viewā€ this morning.

by Anonymousreply 494April 21, 2023 11:08 AM

Has someone alerted Wayman?

by Anonymousreply 495April 21, 2023 12:20 PM

hey! the NYTimes knew how to put vaseline on the camera lens for Sean!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496April 21, 2023 1:34 PM

R496, Or, someone unearthed the lens used for Doris Day.

by Anonymousreply 497April 21, 2023 1:39 PM

Deadline reviews "The Thanksgiving Play":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498April 21, 2023 2:32 PM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499April 21, 2023 2:33 PM

Josh Groban talks about the hardest part of doing "Sweeney":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500April 21, 2023 2:45 PM

R482-I think they were the only ones to admit to being gay. I know a couple of others.

by Anonymousreply 501April 21, 2023 3:44 PM

R494, Joy introduced Aaron as a "Broadway superstar" as he walked out wearing a lilac colored suit.

by Anonymousreply 502April 21, 2023 3:53 PM

That NYT review for Thanksgiving Play.... I think Jesse Green has gone full on woke to save his job after the bullshit K-Pop dust-up. When even Deadline hates your show, you know it's a dud because that guy loves everything. So Jesse definitely gave this thing a good review to clean up his rep.

by Anonymousreply 503April 21, 2023 4:26 PM

R27 the gays were out in full force at the Reba show. Did any DLrs go?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504April 21, 2023 4:57 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505April 21, 2023 5:33 PM

R505 this one is good too with DL fave Rosie Oā€™Donnell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506April 21, 2023 5:50 PM

The best one from AGYG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507April 21, 2023 5:52 PM

I love everything about Reba. Except her music.

by Anonymousreply 508April 21, 2023 6:17 PM

R508 the tv show seemed authentic because it was like the cast all legitimately liked each other

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509April 21, 2023 6:34 PM

Hopefully they revive the show while Steve Howey is still hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510April 21, 2023 6:37 PM

Oh, I loved her show, R509. She's quite a gifted comedienne. If she wanted it, I think she could have had a much bigger acting career.

by Anonymousreply 511April 21, 2023 7:00 PM

Guess you didn't see her in Big Sky.

by Anonymousreply 512April 21, 2023 7:03 PM

The Story Behind Oscar Isaac & Rachel Brosnahanā€™s Last-Minute Arrival On Broadway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513April 21, 2023 7:04 PM

Was Big Sky a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 514April 21, 2023 7:04 PM

Big Sky overall wasnā€™t great for the entire cast, seemed like bad direction. Her new lifetime movie was really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515April 21, 2023 7:08 PM

R515 probably the best Lifetime movie Iā€™ve seen in years. Iā€™m embarrassed that I watch them.

by Anonymousreply 516April 21, 2023 7:09 PM

Nathan Lane on coming out, that infamous Oprah moment, & why his next movie might get him deported:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517April 21, 2023 7:33 PM

Oh that Queerty, on the cutting edge of news!

by Anonymousreply 518April 21, 2023 7:42 PM

[quote]God, that hideous blond enby/tranny would keep me far away from that theater.

The blond is a bit much, but if I'm recalling accurately, he (they?) was one of the few high points of the show when I saw it pre-Broadway at the Old Globe. A fine dancer with flair, personality and technique.... unlike most of the company who were mostly serviceable. 90% of them wouldn't have made it past a first audition with Bob Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 519April 21, 2023 11:05 PM

They will be sitting Shiva for Todd at the American Airlines Theatre this Monday.

by Anonymousreply 520April 21, 2023 11:39 PM

Patti says she wasn't included on Schmigadoon because she was too old.

It must have been a kinder option to tell her that was the reason, since "sorry, but you're an unbearable cunt" probably wouldn't have gone down as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521April 22, 2023 1:36 AM

Thanks to the people in this thread who said nice things about me. Means a lot and makes my day. These comments are responses to last couple threads:

I loved the 1994 Tony Awards opening. OJ killed Ron & Nicole that night. Sam Cassell hit a shot to beat the Knicks in Game 3 of the NBA Finals. And my husband celebrated his 40th birthday. I met him exactly 3 weeks later.

TITANIC set broke down when I saw it and they had to stop the show. Nonetheless, it bored me BUT Iā€™ve grown to love the score and would probably love the show if I could go back in time and watch it again. A lot of shows, I havenā€™t liked on first viewing. One of those is URINETOWN which is probably my favorite musical of all time. Didnā€™t get it til second viewing. Back to TITANIC, there was a production outside on an actual sinking boat with actors jumping into the water a few years ago. Thereā€™s a YT video about how they did it (it involved scaffolding) but I canā€™t find it.

Just saw the current production of A DOLLā€™S HOUSE. I was in 100% the minute the first scene was underway.

Do we know Jennifer Hudson bought her Tony? Maybe she just lent her name not money.

I loved the CAMELOT revival. Saw it early in previews. I looked forward to it for months (LOVE the score) and it did not disappoint. My husband loved it too. He was in tears during the end of Act One.

LOL R140- I remember that discussion about the St James theater hilarious.

R170- Borle was nominated for FALSETTOS the same year he played Wonka.

R188- Yep- Itā€™s been 8 years since HAMILTON opened. When are we getting his follow-up? Book, music, and lyrics, that is.

Can you believe the original PARADE lost to FOSSE? I wonder if DANCINā€™ gives Jason Robert Brown PTSD.

Does anyone know Cameron Mackintosh? I think heā€™s adorable. I first saw him at the CATS closing night party and was smitten but didnā€™t say anything and now, 23 years later, I saw him on YouTube at the Phantom curtain call and I swooned. Can anyone introduce me? Not looking for a job, just a kiss.

Ariana Grande is white. She was Penny in Hairspray!

R493- and afterwards? The 1960s were it for Judy!

Really upset about Todd Haimes. Didnā€™t know he was sick. Wrote him an email once and he responded kindly. I worked for Roundabout briefly. I played Moritz in an experimental production they produced of Spring Awakening back in 2001.

I leave you with thisā€¦. the best Annie I ever saw and I saw Reba. {;o)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522April 22, 2023 1:48 AM

R522 You are a darling.

by Anonymousreply 523April 22, 2023 3:32 AM

[quote] Patti says she wasn't included on Schmigadoon because she was too old.

And yet they have Jackie Hoffman walking around with a neon teal martini squawking ā€œIā€™ll drink to that!ā€, randomly.

by Anonymousreply 524April 22, 2023 3:42 AM

Sorry, not Jackie, Karin Konoval

by Anonymousreply 525April 22, 2023 3:45 AM

[quote]I leave you with thisā€¦. the best Annie I ever saw and I saw Reba. {;o)

Reba must have been having a really bad night when you saw her.

I will say that La Lucci's screech-singing was an interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 526April 22, 2023 7:55 AM

How desperate is Here Lies Love getting? Another new "starry" producer who brings nothing to the table but ego and a team that does nothing for the show. (Did any of the celebrity producers of A Strange Loop provide anything but a Tony grab? -- Mindy Kaling, really?) Is the money raising so difficult these days that you need this sort of falsehood?

by Anonymousreply 527April 22, 2023 9:44 AM

R522 Susan Douchey was definitely the worst. This must be parody. Rebaā€™s performance is still acclaimed to this day and theatre queens salivate every time her return to Broadway is rumored.

by Anonymousreply 528April 22, 2023 1:24 PM

[quoute] One of those is URINETOWN which is probably my favorite musical of all time.

Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 529April 22, 2023 2:23 PM

Susan Lucci would have made a wonderful Tess Harding.

by Anonymousreply 530April 22, 2023 4:05 PM

Susan Lucci can barely play Susan Lucci effectively

by Anonymousreply 531April 22, 2023 4:07 PM

R530, As wonderful as Barbara Eden?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532April 22, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]As wonderful as Barbara Eden?

Barbara Eden had a legit stage voice, way better than Bacall and Welch and toured all over the country in musical tours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533April 23, 2023 1:40 AM

In the wake of Phantomā€™s Broadway closing, Iā€™m very curious about the new large venue production in Italy this summer (in English!), produced by Really Useful Group and starring Ramin Karimloo. Apparently, the Phantom will ride a chandelier on fire through the audience, which seems on par with Raminā€™s current penchant for adrenaline-based attention-seeking with his side gig as a professional wrestler (look it up). Perhaps arena-based productions is on the menu for the rest of the world if this works outā€¦ the two-week tryout in Trieste is pretty much completely sold out and cast have been told that it will be a sit-down of some sort till May following the two-week tryout.

by Anonymousreply 534April 23, 2023 2:24 AM

PS hereā€™s the official website/teaser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535April 23, 2023 2:25 AM

I wonder how Dame Edna would have been as Nancy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536April 23, 2023 2:45 AM

[quote]Apparently, the Phantom will ride a chandelier on fire through the audience,

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 537April 23, 2023 3:39 AM

Not since Rebecca...

by Anonymousreply 538April 23, 2023 4:18 AM

They're also using 4 real elephants.

by Anonymousreply 539April 23, 2023 4:20 AM

Please, dear sweet baby Jesus, let there be a freewheeling patio number.

by Anonymousreply 540April 23, 2023 4:23 AM

I genuinely thought R534 was satire at first. I suppose they'll try to bring this flaming chandelier to Broadway eventually as a new Phantom mounting. Probably with a 10-piece "orchestra", though.

by Anonymousreply 541April 23, 2023 5:18 AM

r534- May is in 8 days.

by Anonymousreply 542April 23, 2023 6:03 AM

[quote] May is in 8 days.

Tra la!

by Anonymousreply 543April 23, 2023 6:40 AM

I saw one of Ramin stories on IG and I thought he was dressed as a Mario Bros. character. He looked like a 55 y.o. mechanic from Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 544April 23, 2023 12:04 PM

Hot.

by Anonymousreply 545April 23, 2023 12:13 PM

Ramin is the worst of the gay baiter. He knows what heā€™s doing but when he gets called out, he does the whole, ā€œIā€™m just being meā€ routine.

by Anonymousreply 546April 23, 2023 12:26 PM

So, I guess that means he is just being a gay baiter.

by Anonymousreply 547April 23, 2023 12:29 PM

I'd rather see Dame Edna as Nancy than Patti Lupone.

by Anonymousreply 548April 23, 2023 1:06 PM

Humphries really underscored Fagin's Jewishness, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 549April 23, 2023 1:11 PM

Does the "free-wheeling patio number" refer to any particular number in any classic Broadway musical? Was there ever one?

by Anonymousreply 550April 23, 2023 2:13 PM

See top right photo, r550...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551April 23, 2023 2:23 PM

[quote] They're also using 4 real elephants.

Well, Lindsay Mendez and Alex Newell should be free by then. Who will play the other two?

by Anonymousreply 552April 23, 2023 2:46 PM

R552, Beanie Feldstein could play the other two.

by Anonymousreply 553April 23, 2023 3:16 PM

There ya go!

by Anonymousreply 554April 23, 2023 3:20 PM

Ugh. I saw Thanksgiving Play. I didn't laugh once. Everything was so obvious, including the acting. These were not "characters" they were paper-thin stereotypes. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

by Anonymousreply 555April 23, 2023 3:59 PM

Saw Prima Facie. Content: TV Movie Delivery: Astonishingly good.

by Anonymousreply 556April 23, 2023 5:28 PM

R555, Scott Foley shows a major bald spot when he bows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557April 23, 2023 5:31 PM

Oh, my! Well, kudos to Scott for not hiding it.

by Anonymousreply 558April 23, 2023 9:09 PM

THE THANKSGIVING PLAY is garbage. It's as if you took Fox News' GUTFELD! show and stretched it out over 90 minutes. I could give a critic a pass for raving about something like SHUCKED, but Jesse Green recommending this piece of shit forever taints anything I read of his.

by Anonymousreply 559April 24, 2023 12:12 AM

I still remember the first time MikeR invited me backstage at the San Jose Playhouse for a private audience with him in his dressing room. Thel chaise lounge was made from this soft, inviting dark blue velvet and MikeR had the most powerful hip flexors and such incredible sense of rhythm.

by Anonymousreply 560April 24, 2023 1:06 AM

Damn, I can't believe MikeR is still invoked on the DL. Was he banned from ATC years ago, or did he leave of his own volition? What if anything is he doing these days, and where if anywhere is he posting?

by Anonymousreply 561April 24, 2023 1:10 AM

Deadline reviews "Prima Facie":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562April 24, 2023 2:21 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563April 24, 2023 2:21 AM

Here we are, folks, the final four openings of the season: Good Night, Oscar, Summer, 1976, New York, New York and The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window.

by Anonymousreply 564April 24, 2023 6:40 AM

How did Jessica Hecht get cast in Summer, 1976? I didn't know women had that much plastic surgery back then.

by Anonymousreply 565April 24, 2023 6:53 AM

Question about the new season of Schmigadoon -- [italic] [bold] Who approved this???? [/italic] [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 566April 24, 2023 1:56 PM

561- I think heā€™s dead. Can anyone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 567April 24, 2023 4:32 PM

He is NOT dead. He played the father in Fun Home last summer and has a Twitter account which just commented on Tucker Carlson leaving Fox. I found this in under 30 seconds of searching.

by Anonymousreply 568April 24, 2023 4:38 PM

He could be twitting from beyond.

by Anonymousreply 569April 24, 2023 5:18 PM

Hmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570April 24, 2023 5:44 PM

[quote]How did Jessica Hecht get cast in Summer, 1976? I didn't know women had that much plastic surgery back then.

Wow, wouldn't recognize her. Watch the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571April 24, 2023 7:17 PM

I feel bad for Laura Linney. This will be her 6th Tony nomination and her 6th loss.

After a while that has to hurt.

by Anonymousreply 572April 24, 2023 7:43 PM

How are Jessica Hecht and Laura Linney "two young women?" They're both in their 60s.

by Anonymousreply 573April 24, 2023 8:01 PM

I noticed that as well, r573. Is it told in flashbacks?

by Anonymousreply 574April 24, 2023 8:07 PM

Anythingā€™s possible in a season where Danny Burstein plays Nathan Laneā€™s son

by Anonymousreply 575April 24, 2023 9:15 PM

Or where anyone plays Nathan Lane's son.

by Anonymousreply 576April 24, 2023 9:16 PM

Summer, 1976 looks so... dull. Has anyone seen it? Was recently in NY, but only had a couple of openings to see shows and as much as I LOVE Linney, I couldn't waste one of 4 spots with what looked like such a snooezefest.

by Anonymousreply 577April 24, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]How did Jessica Hecht get cast in Summer, 1976? I didn't know women had that much plastic surgery back then.

One more reason to avoid seeing her onstage if at all possible.

by Anonymousreply 578April 24, 2023 11:32 PM

I think the Tony will go to Jessica Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 579April 24, 2023 11:35 PM

New thread here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580April 24, 2023 11:54 PM

Tepid title....but we'll manage

by Anonymousreply 581April 25, 2023 12:04 AM

The producers of Prima Facie think they can come in for 10 weeks, charge exorbitant prices for tix, and nab the Tony for the play and the performance? Fuck them. They deserve to walk away with nothing. Pure, unadulterated greed. Big time. Like the bastards who are charging a fortune to see Sean Hayes. Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 582April 25, 2023 12:54 AM

Won't win Best Play.

by Anonymousreply 583April 25, 2023 1:01 AM

The difference is people will pay for the Comer show. They will NOT for Sean Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 584April 25, 2023 1:03 AM

Is being chosen to read this yearā€™s Tony nominations supposed to appease Lea?

by Anonymousreply 585April 25, 2023 1:19 AM

R577- I was thinking the same thing but a person I met at a party last week raved about it so Iā€™m gonna get tickets.

by Anonymousreply 586April 25, 2023 1:24 AM

Itā€™s like Lea opened FG last season and she and Myles won the Tony. Itā€™s like Beanie and the woman from Paradise Square never happened.

by Anonymousreply 587April 25, 2023 1:27 AM

R587 We can only dream.

by Anonymousreply 588April 25, 2023 1:33 AM

And yet there would have been huge uproar on Twitter of Lea had beaten Paradise Square lady for said Tony.

by Anonymousreply 589April 25, 2023 2:28 AM

Nah. If Lea had opened FG, it would have been apparent that she was the deserving winner. Whatever her fucking name is from paradise Square won it due to an absence of quality. It really should have gone to Mare Winningham for a career award, but the voters went woke. No one sat through Paradise Square. And anyone who did certainly didn't vote for that woman because of her screaming.

by Anonymousreply 590April 25, 2023 2:41 AM

Golden Apple!

by Anonymousreply 591April 25, 2023 2:42 AM

R590 have they released the eagerly awaited Paradise Square cast album yet?

by Anonymousreply 592April 25, 2023 2:44 AM

Dame Edna, for twilight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593April 25, 2023 2:46 AM

And now...the Kessler Twins...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594April 25, 2023 2:50 AM

13 Daughters!

by Anonymousreply 595April 25, 2023 3:02 AM

Lovely Ladies, Kind Gentlemen!

by Anonymousreply 596April 25, 2023 3:03 AM

[titleofshow]

by Anonymousreply 597April 25, 2023 3:16 AM

New Girl in Town

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598April 25, 2023 3:20 AM

Reba was amazing. But Susan Lucci sounds better than I expected.

Well, whatever one thinks of her, you must admit the work sheā€™s had done is flawless.

by Anonymousreply 599April 25, 2023 3:22 AM

Dracula the Musical

by Anonymousreply 600April 25, 2023 3:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!