Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #490: The "Has It Really Come to This: We're Discussing Dinah Shore ?!?" Edition

She was never on Broadway, but she has an Emmy and Sondheim doesn't, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 603September 10, 2022 3:41 PM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2022 7:54 PM

Thanks for linking the thread. Anyone for golf?

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2022 7:56 PM

She also replaced The Merm on the cast recording for "Call Me Madam."

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2022 7:56 PM

Chita!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2022 8:00 PM

Don't remind me, r3

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2022 8:01 PM

As always, trying to get more dick in these threads. Among Dinah's accomplishments is that she got this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2022 8:05 PM

*3* GIRLS *3*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2022 8:13 PM

I'd rather have George, r6...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2022 8:14 PM

Nathan Lane won an Emmy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2022 8:15 PM

She was a great lay in the back of her Chevrolet......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2022 8:17 PM

RCA Victor put money into the original production of Call Me Madam and so secured the rights to the cast album. But Merman had an exclusive contract with Decca and Decca refused to release her. Usually the recording companies would work something out in such situations but Decca wouldn't budge.

RCA went ahead and made the OBCR with Dinah replacing Ethel and Decca made a studio cast recording with Ethel, Dick Haymes and a chorus.

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2022 8:23 PM

R6 Is that photo of Burt Reynolds real? Can anyone confirm? Was this an outtake from the Cosmo shoot?

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2022 8:26 PM

I'm not sure the penis is real, but otherwise the shot is an outtake.

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2022 8:28 PM

The penis is definitely small.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2022 8:29 PM

r12, I was always led to believe it was a real outtake every time it's been posted somewhere, but I have no proof.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2022 8:34 PM

(And as far as flaccid penises go, it looks perfectly average sized to me.)

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2022 8:35 PM

I'm sure Dinah played Mame at some point, no?

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2022 8:37 PM

R14 The penis is not erect and looks to be rather average, Mr. Size Queen.

EVERY fucking time there's a dick pic on DL, there's always a cunty cunt who has to sniff "That's a small penis"....frequently the penis is question is quite average and sometimes actually on the larger size but there's always some bitch who has to cunt on it.

It's a DL Tradition.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2022 8:38 PM

[quote]RCA Victor put money into the original production of Call Me Madam and so secured the rights to the cast album. But Merman had an exclusive contract with Decca and Decca refused to release her. Usually the recording companies would work something out in such situations but Decca wouldn't budge. RCA went ahead and made the OBCR with Dinah replacing Ethel and Decca made a studio cast recording with Ethel, Dick Haymes and a chorus.

One of the most ridiculous occurrences in cast album history. Amazing that RCA didn't check with Decca ahead of time to see if they would allow RCA to make the album with her.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2022 8:40 PM

And, yay for Nathan Lane winning an Emmy. I know DL likes to snark on him but he really is a good actor. Or, can be with the right script/direction.

Though I'm glad he won this Emmy for Only Murders in the Building and not for his hamhanded work in that shitfest The Gilded Age.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2022 8:40 PM

Kander & Ebb tribute...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2022 8:40 PM

All That Chat and Theater Twitter must be all abuzz…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2022 8:45 PM

Nathan Lane and Laurie Metcalf both won Emmys last night.

There was talk of them doing Death of a Salesman on Broadway, directed by Joe Mantello, with Scott R. Producing but now that he is “persona non grata” and woke Broadway demands ONLY people of color in all revivals moving forward…I’m guessing this production is officially DOA.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2022 8:46 PM

"woke Broadway demands ONLY people of color in all revivals moving forward"

As if this comment weren't already dumb, it's made directly after a post for an upcoming revival starring two white people, thereby seeming even dumber.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2022 8:51 PM

Groban's gonna be hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2022 8:54 PM

RCA wouldn't let Monroe appear on the cast album for "There's No Business Like Show Business" so Decca artist Dolores Gray subbed for Monroe. Sounds like a tit for tat situation.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2022 8:55 PM

R26, I know there was a contract problem there, but I'm not sure you got the details right. Did Marilyn Monroe have a recording contract with RCA? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2022 9:06 PM

Yes, she did. RCA Victor released an EP of Monroe's songs from the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2022 9:07 PM

Not sure about Groban having the vocal quality/depth required, but goddamnit if I'm not excited about that 26 piece orchestra. It's about time that score be played the way Sondheim/Tunick originally envisioned it.

The fact they're even using a takeoff on the original '79 artwork suggests that they're almost trying to evoke the nostaglia Rudin brought to 'Hello Dolly' in its production design, casting, artwork, etc.

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2022 9:11 PM

Can't wait to hear the supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2022 9:27 PM

Sky Ferreira for the beggar woman!

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2022 9:29 PM

R28, that's interesting. I guess RCA sewed up Monroe in some kind of a contract just to release her songs from that movie. I'm pretty sure she did not record any sand-alone studio albums for them.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2022 9:31 PM

I don't think Marilyn Monroe ever recorded a solo album.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2022 9:34 PM

RCA also released a single of "River of No Return" so the connection wasn't just the Irving Berlin jukebox musical.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2022 9:34 PM

[quote]Not sure about Groban having the vocal quality/depth required, but goddamnit if I'm not excited about that 26 piece orchestra. It's about time that score be played the way Sondheim/Tunick originally envisioned it.

I share your excitement over the full orchestra, but of course, over the decades, the SWEENEY score has frequently been heard with even larger orchestras in concert and in performances by opera companies. It's only the Broadway and Off-Broadway revivals that have been cheap and/or minimalist in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2022 9:34 PM

What are you talking about OP. Stephen won Emmys for "A Passive/Aggressive Letter to Three Wives", "Stephen with a PH", and "Dungeness Crab Cakes, Recipes from My Basement".

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote]RCA also released a single of "River of No Return" so the connection wasn't just the Irving Berlin jukebox musical.

I wonder if RCA tried to induce her to record some solo albums. Maybe they did but she wasn't interested, and/or was too busy making movies to fit it into her schedule. I think she was a fine singer, and you can really hear that in some of her recordings when she sings out rather than relying too much on her baby-doll vocal mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2022 9:37 PM

Cue someone getting pissy about a Sondheim dungeon reference.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2022 9:37 PM

I expect it was down to timing and the absence of hit singles. RCA put out numerous albums on Ann-Marget. When Marilyn was recording, the format wasn't as established.

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2022 9:39 PM

*Ann-Margret

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2022 9:39 PM

R18 The pubes are really nice though!

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2022 9:40 PM

Wow, 29-piece orchestra! That's the whole reason to see this version, I think!

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2022 9:49 PM

It's nice that the 29-piece orchestra will be able to drown out Annaleigh Ashford's voice.

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2022 9:52 PM

Sheridan Smith would make more sense in the role than Annaleigh Ashford.

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2022 9:53 PM

I had heard on good authority that Mrs Lovett was going to be Carmen Cusack. I wonder what happened?

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2022 9:54 PM

Carmen Cusack in another role that would have better suited Caroline O'Connor?

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2022 10:00 PM

Bring back Toni Collette to Broadway. Don't worry -- they can probably get a restraining order to keep Mandy Patinkin blocks away from the theater.

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2022 10:03 PM

Patti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2022 10:03 PM

Just remembered the big news this week is, of course, Lea, so that should have been in the title. My bad.

(But did we really need another Funny Girl title though? Probably not.)

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2022 10:04 PM

I could imagine doing a version of Rosie Clooney's song "Botch-a-Me" with lyrics including "Beanie, Benko, Lea-Mi, won't you bac-cia, baccia-mi". Couldn't you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2022 10:07 PM

Lea Michele IS Former Girl (Now Mom!)

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2022 10:08 PM

Saw on IG that Brian D'Arcy James will be coming back to ITW and didn't join the four other departing cast members for their separate bow at the curtain call. Presumably he'll be returning after the Arcelus run, so they're obviously planning the next extension. At the same time, sales for the current extension aren't looking great. It'll be interesting to see how much of the big numbers were due to Bareilles (and Soo?). Of course the show is so cheap to run it could continue even at much lower grosses.

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2022 10:12 PM

R52, is ITW that cheap to run? Of course they saved a lot on sets and costumes, but it's a much larger orchestra than most Broadway shows, and the cast is fairly large as well, and filled with leads and featured players rather than chorus-contract people.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote]I don't think Marilyn Monroe ever recorded a solo album.

At least we were spared from her version of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2022 10:16 PM

Does anyone have Ginger Rogers' solo albums "Hello, Ginger" (1965) and "Miss Ginger Rogers" (1978)? I expect they're dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2022 10:19 PM

[quote] The fact they're even using a takeoff on the original '79 artwork suggests that they're almost trying to evoke the nostaglia Rudin brought to 'Hello Dolly' in its production design, casting, artwork, etc.

If this is any version of the new artwork, many people should be fired. I can picture Jeffrey Seller and all the other queens tee-heeing over how clever they are but it's a bad tacky cheap shitstain of a logo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2022 10:19 PM

The Burt Reynolds photo is real. When Reynolds did his famous photo layout for Cosmopolitan, he let the photographer take some full frontals but Cosmo decided not to run them. A German magazine bought the European rights to the photos and published them.

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2022 10:21 PM

Botcha-me??? Really?

by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2022 10:23 PM

Ginger Rogers did play the female lead on Broadway in "Girl Crazy" singing "Embreaceable You" back in 1930 when mics weren't used, so she must have had a decent voice back then. Of course, Merman stole that show. But Rogers certainly was noticed.

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2022 10:24 PM

PS I hope Frank 'Fraver' Verlizzo charged them $5 milllion for the rights to desecrate his original genius legendary idea

by Anonymousreply 60September 5, 2022 10:25 PM

R58 Hey, they used it on "Mad Men"!

by Anonymousreply 61September 5, 2022 10:25 PM

R56-The only thing that new logo makes me visualize is watered-down version of Sweeney Todd. With those leads, it seems pretty accurate.

by Anonymousreply 62September 5, 2022 10:32 PM

Jake Gyllenhaal should be Miss Lovett

by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2022 10:33 PM

Sammy Davis is Sportin' Life in the film of Porgy and Bess and does his own singing, which is heard in the film. But when Columbia released the soundtrack album, Davis' label refused to allow Davis's vocals to be used, so Cab Calloway was brought in to re-record the numbers for the album.

by Anonymousreply 64September 5, 2022 10:38 PM

Did Gertrude Lawrence ever have a decent singing voice? She screeches her way through the end of "Jenny."

by Anonymousreply 65September 5, 2022 10:40 PM

Would not surprise me if this Sweeney never makes land and is put in dry dock.

by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote]Sammy Davis is Sportin' Life in the film of Porgy and Bess and does his own singing, which is heard in the film. But when Columbia released the soundtrack album, Davis' label refused to allow Davis's vocals to be used, so Cab Calloway was brought in to re-record the numbers for the album.

Another head-scratching situation. Why wasn't all of this worked out between the record companies ahead of time? It seems like sheer incompetence. I wonder if anyone lost their job when things like this happened.

by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2022 10:42 PM

Dina! Is there anyone fina, now! In the state of Carolina, now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2022 10:43 PM

The Bozzies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2022 10:47 PM

[quote]I don't think Marilyn Monroe ever recorded a solo album.

She recorded enough songs including A Fine Romance, Do It Again and her selections from River of No Return and Show Business.

Here's her RCA contract that came up for auction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2022 10:50 PM

When are they going to actually announce the Sweeney revival? I feel like we have been talking about for a LONG time

by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2022 10:52 PM

[quote]Why wasn't all of this worked out between the record companies ahead of time?

It happened once in awhile and as I posted above, usually the record companies usually did work something out. The company with the exclusive contract could receive a fee, a royalties cut or were able to borrow an exclusive artist from the other company in exchange. But sometimes, for whatever reason, people would just be assholes about it.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2022 10:57 PM

Lea '06

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2022 11:01 PM

Dinah Shore must have had something going on.

Prior to dating and marrying Dinah, George Montgomery was engaged to Hedy Lamarr.

I mean, Hedy Lamarr to Dinah Shore?

by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2022 11:01 PM

Sam Smith to Richard Madden?

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2022 11:03 PM

That's changing your mind with a vengeance!

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2022 11:15 PM

There's going to be a tough list of candidates for Best Actor and Actress In A Musical come June.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2022 11:17 PM

And yet only ONE sure-bet!

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2022 11:32 PM

R77, Will Swenson - A Beautiful Noise

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2022 11:34 PM

Have they seen Aaron Carter for Tobias?

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2022 11:37 PM

TOMORROW IS THE BIG NIGHT!!!

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2022 11:42 PM

I would always sing this song as a young gayling when out with my family on vacation. And The Dinah Shore Show had already been off the air for decades.

Looking back, I wonder if my parents suspected that I was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2022 11:50 PM

My favorite version -

by Anonymousreply 83September 6, 2022 12:02 AM

Sorry -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2022 12:03 AM

Choni Chenille?

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2022 12:07 AM

SeatGeek is the official ticketing site for funny girl. Here is an orchestra seat available for tomorrow, partial view, $400 plus $80 [italic] in fees [/italic] . It is a resale ticket, but still for sale on the official site. Lady Roth struck a deal with SeatGeek and probably gets a cut nine different ways as if he doesn’t have enough money already from his Nazi father.

Broadway deserves to crash and burn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2022 12:22 AM

Carmen Cusack does not have "star" quality.

She's fine, but poor dear went down with the ship in Encore's encore of "Call Me Madame"!

Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2022 12:38 AM

That's a great dick and bush. Very 70s. God men were once so sexy. What the fuck happened?

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2022 12:40 AM

Drop the e, Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2022 12:49 AM

[quote]Just remembered the big news this week is, of course, Lea, so that should have been in the title. My bad.

God, no, OP. You did fine with this title.

I for one cannot wait until FUNNY GIRL closes due to slow sales (which it inevitably will, once the initial rush of GLEE fans drops off). And we can stop talking about it, perhaps forever.

For the record, GLEE ended over 7 years ago. Lea left SPRING AWAKENING 14 years ago. She's talented, but reports of her legions of rabid fangurls are hugely overestimated.

by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2022 12:50 AM

Carmen Cusack was a terrific Dot in Chicago Shakespeare's SITPWG. And she was one of the obly good things about MCC's Carrie revisal.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2022 12:53 AM

r82 My parents told me that I used to sit in my high chair while watching Dinah's '50s shows and blow a kiss at the TV when Dinah did. Is that even MORE gay?

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2022 12:55 AM

[quote]Diana Ross with Lucille Ball and Dinah Shore performed "Dinah", a song by Bing Crosby

Does anyone else HATE it when people attribute songs to a person who sang them but had nothing to do with composing them (or in this case, even being the first person who recorded it?) No one gives credit to composers or lyricists.

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2022 12:57 AM

Fair point, R93. But even I had to look up these results, and I love old tunes:

[quote]"Dinah" is a popular song published in 1925 and introduced by Ethel Waters at the Plantation Club on Broadway. It was integrated into the show Kid Boots.[1] The music was written by Harry Akst and the lyrics by Sam M. Lewis and Joe Young.

After Ethel, it's like... WHO?

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2022 1:00 AM

PS: I love KID BOOTS as a title, and think ENCORES should revive it, no matter how awful or outdated it is.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2022 1:02 AM

It should have said "A Bing Croby hit."

by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2022 1:04 AM

r95 = B. Singer

by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2022 1:04 AM

R94, Maybe if people didn't call "Dinah" a song by Bing Crosby bit by Lewis & Young, you would know who they were.

by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2022 1:04 AM

That reminds me of how someone advised Hal David to get a publicist once Burt Bacharach became a recording artist.

by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2022 1:07 AM

Cusack did The Muny's "Sweeney" with Ben Davis. I made the trip and it was worth it. they were both superb. The also had the full piece orchestra, and the ensemble was huge -- more than 25, I think.

by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2022 1:14 AM

Ethel's Dinah...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2022 1:19 AM

Old DL thread about the Burt R. photo. Stern Magazine published the dick shot and Francesco Scavullo was the photographer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2022 1:26 AM

Andrea as Judy sings Dinah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 6, 2022 1:33 AM

I was just a kid but I remember being very moved by that TV movie about Judy's early years. Not sure how it would hold up now, but little Andrea stole my heart when she sang Judy's songs.

by Anonymousreply 104September 6, 2022 1:38 AM

I imagine that the Sweeney Todd announcement will come tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2022 1:56 AM

Supposedly 10am

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 6, 2022 1:57 AM

I can never take SWEENEY TODD seriously after watching this -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 6, 2022 2:10 AM

Liza Minnelli *is* The Beggar Woman. Shity on fire!!!

by Anonymousreply 108September 6, 2022 2:12 AM

How funny...Mike Road as Gavin McLeod

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 6, 2022 2:44 AM

But who was in the kitchen with Dinah? Inquiring minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 110September 6, 2022 3:15 AM

The banjo player, r110.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote]Through the term of the contract, Monroe was obliged to record not fewer that "16 sides," interpreted to mean single tunes on either side of a 45 or 78 r.p.m. disc recording.....Marilyn Monroe was most certainly the sex symbol of her era. But it must also be acknowledged that she was responsible professional. She was primarily an actress, but no embarrassment as a singer. She faithfully fulfilled this contract - to include tunes from her two ensuing films, "River of No Return" and "There's No Business Like Show Business."

But did she fulfill the contract? I don't think she recorded "16 sides" in total for RCA, even if we count records of songs taken from the soundtracks of her films. And certainly not if we don't count the songs from GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, which wouldn't have been included in this contract because those had been recorded earlier.

by Anonymousreply 112September 6, 2022 3:24 AM

Dinah East

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2022 3:24 AM

Broadway Week starts tomorrow. 20 shows will be offering twofers though Sept. 25. Just heard it on the local news, don't have any more details.

by Anonymousreply 114September 6, 2022 3:30 AM

[quote]It happened once in awhile and as I posted above, usually the record companies usually did work something out. The company with the exclusive contract could receive a fee, a royalties cut or were able to borrow an exclusive artist from the other company in exchange. But sometimes, for whatever reason, people would just be assholes about it.

I understand. But what I meant was, in each case where an artist was under a contract to a record company other than the one that was going to issue the cast album or soundtrack, you would think that the one company would have checked with the other AHEAD OF TIME to make sure they could get the artist in question. For example, if someone at RCA had asked in advance whether Decca would allow Merman to record CALL ME MADAM for them, and had received "no" for an answer from some asshole at DECCA, then RCA would presumably have passed on securing the rights to record the cast album in the first place, and would have just let Decca do it.

by Anonymousreply 115September 6, 2022 3:30 AM

Presumably, record labels that weren't Decca were confident enough the property would be of interest to the public even without Merman. After all, Merman's songwriters were some of the greatest in popular music.

by Anonymousreply 116September 6, 2022 3:34 AM

[quote]Presumably, record labels that weren't Decca were confident enough the property would be of interest to the public even without Merman. After all, Merman's songwriters were some of the greatest in popular music.

If they were "confident" in that thought, they were fools. CALL ME MADAM was written and tailored very specifically for Ethel Merman by Irving Berlin, the songwriter of the Broadway show that had made her a star several years earlier: ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

by Anonymousreply 117September 6, 2022 3:39 AM

Also, I bet Dinah Shore was a far bigger name to the record buying public than Ethel Merman in the mid-1950s. Dinah was a HUGE TV star with her own weekly show and many hit records. Ethel was just that screechy old lady in NYC. RCA was probably thrilled.

And didn't Cab Calloway play the role of Sportin' Life on Broadway? So he was a brilliant replacement for Sammy Davis. These issues usually worked themselves out quite well.

by Anonymousreply 118September 6, 2022 3:41 AM

At least with the colorblind casting bickering, the topic was Broadway. Dinah Shore? Now it's at rock bottom.

by Anonymousreply 119September 6, 2022 3:50 AM

Lynne Truss >>> Liz Truss

by Anonymousreply 120September 6, 2022 3:54 AM

[quote]Also, I bet Dinah Shore was a far bigger name to the record buying public than Ethel Merman in the mid-1950s. Dinah was a HUGE TV star with her own weekly show and many hit records. Ethel was just that screechy old lady in NYC. RCA was probably thrilled. And didn't Cab Calloway play the role of Sportin' Life on Broadway? So he was a brilliant replacement for Sammy Davis. These issues usually worked themselves out quite well.

Well, I guess some people at those record companies shared your incredibly strange way of looking at things, which is why we got an "original cast album" of CALL ME MADAM without Ethel Merman and a "film soundtrack" recording of PORGY AND BESS without Sammy Davis, Jr.

The Merman/Dinah Shore CALL ME MADAM situation is equivalent to someone writing a show specifically tailored for Patti LuPone, but then, when the rights to record the cast album were sold, that company found out LuPone was under contract to another record company, so instead they got Kelli O'Hara to record the album.

by Anonymousreply 121September 6, 2022 3:55 AM

From ticketmaster.com:

"For the first time since 1980, Broadway audiences will experience Stephen Sondheim's Tony Award®-winning score as it was performed in the original production--with Jonathan Tunick's classic 26-player orchestration on an epic scale. Tony Award-winning director Thomas Kail (Hamilton) helms the return of this musical thriller starring Tony and Grammy® nominee Josh Groban (Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812) as Sweeney Todd, and Tony winner Annaleigh Ashford (Sunday in the Park With George, Kinky Boots) as Mrs. Lovett. Tony winner Alex Lacamoire (Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen) reunites with Kail as Music Supervisor, and Olivier Award winner Steven Hoggett (Once, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) choreographs this new production of Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

by Anonymousreply 122September 6, 2022 3:55 AM

This truss >>> Liz Truss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 6, 2022 4:31 AM

Tommy Kail is a bad director; nervous-making.

by Anonymousreply 124September 6, 2022 4:40 AM

[quote]At least with the colorblind casting bickering, the topic was Broadway. Dinah Shore? Now it's at rock bottom.

I certainly hope no one else is nostalgic for the inane colorblind casting bickering that stank up the previous thread. I'll take an analysis of Dinah Shore's wobbly vibrato over that.

by Anonymousreply 125September 6, 2022 6:29 AM

RCA Victor intended to record Call me Madam with Dinah Shore from the start; it was why the label capitalized the show. Shore was a phenomenally popular singer, and RCA thought Shore Sings Berlin was bank.

Just to show how little Decca thought of Ethel Merman's economic potential, the Decca-Merman Madam wasn't even a full album, just a ten-inch LP that didn't include Hostess with the Mostes'.

Then, ironically, the Decca disc took off, so the label immediately reissued it as an LP with more of the score, while the Dinah Shore Madam, though successful at first, fell by the wayside after a year or so, while Merman kept on selling.

Obviously, no big label--and RCA was the biggest (though overtaken by Columbia during the 1950s)-- would have spent money to make a cast album without knowing whether or not they could count on the star to take part. That just isn't the way big business operates. In fact, the 1940s routinely made "cast albums" (or something like a cast album) knowing there would be a major substitution-- Kitty Carlisle for Irra Petina in Song Of Norway, Mary Martin singing Gabey's ballads in Decca's On the Town (though that album actually started as studio singles), Alfred Drake singing Jud Fry's Lonely Room on the Oklahoma! volume 2, Eileen Farrell and Celeste Holm as ringers in Decca's Up in Central Park, etc.

Even in the early stereo years, Oh Captain! offered Eileen Rodgers singing Abbe Lane's numbers. Though that one has never been explained to my knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 126September 6, 2022 6:50 AM

To the poster who responded to my Rebecca question in the previous thread, I've heard short bits of some songs. Never the whole score. I'd prefer to see it live, even if in another language, so I can take it in organically.

But yeah, what little I've heard outside the title song sounds weirdly rock/popish...sort of Notre Dame de Paris or Jekyll and Hyde.

Why is it that if something is a hit primarily in Germany and China, it always seems to sound like Eurovision OTT schlock? Don't they appreciate subtlety?

People can shit on Webber all they want, but I still love the music of Phantom. Was hoping if Rebecca was being called the next Phantom, itd have more than 1 song.

by Anonymousreply 127September 6, 2022 7:40 AM

More than 1 GOOD song ^

by Anonymousreply 128September 6, 2022 7:42 AM

[quote]When are they going to actually announce the Sweeney revival? I feel like we have been talking about for a LONG time

Annaleigh hadn't mastered the tuba yet.

by Anonymousreply 129September 6, 2022 8:59 AM

Why didn't they just give her a tambourine?

by Anonymousreply 130September 6, 2022 9:04 AM

One true thing is we will have some lively Tony races next year. Calling Sean Hayes for best actor right now.

by Anonymousreply 131September 6, 2022 9:41 AM

In less antediluvian times, Joan Jett's contract prevented her from appearing on the 2001 Rocky Horror album and he got the fine but dull Kristen Lee Kelly who promptly disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 132September 6, 2022 10:34 AM

An Asian beggar woman? I cannot process how that could happen, and it will [italic] completely [/italic] take me out of the play.

by Anonymousreply 133September 6, 2022 10:35 AM

I hope Joanna's Black and the Beggar Woman is a Man, just to make the story a little confusing.

by Anonymousreply 134September 6, 2022 11:23 AM

Burt was a good guy but Dinah was still too good for him. The reason given why they split is what they made up together to give to the press but the real reason will never be known.

by Anonymousreply 135September 6, 2022 11:56 AM

Sweeney boner killer. Could this be more cheap and boring? It looks like one of Jeffrey’s kids did it for a summer camp a/v project. I hope the production has more ideas up its sleeves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 6, 2022 12:10 PM

And the trolls are trying to start their shit again.

by Anonymousreply 137September 6, 2022 12:15 PM

SWEENEY will be doing a dance workshop to let Hogget come up with something original. I think its going to be great.

by Anonymousreply 138September 6, 2022 12:30 PM

Peppermint IS The Beggar Person

by Anonymousreply 139September 6, 2022 12:35 PM

I think it looks and sounds great r136.

by Anonymousreply 140September 6, 2022 12:42 PM

It really is something at how hard some people will reach to find something to whine about.

by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2022 12:52 PM

Every time a new show is announced, they have to start in with their racial trolling

by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2022 12:54 PM

It's not trolling to make fun of a trend.

by Anonymousreply 143September 6, 2022 12:59 PM

It’s trolling if you have to bring it up, unprompted, every time a new show is announced

by Anonymousreply 144September 6, 2022 1:00 PM

[quote]RCA Victor intended to record Call me Madam with Dinah Shore from the start; it was why the label capitalized the show. Shore was a phenomenally popular singer, and RCA thought Shore Sings Berlin was bank.

Whether or not that's true, I find the reasoning nonsensical. RCA could have very easily recorded an album of Dinah Shore singing songs from CALL ME MADAM, and they didn't have to secure the rights to record the "original cast album" to do so. While I'm sure you're right that Shore was a far more popular singer than Merman in terms of selling records, I would think that fact would be overridden by the fact that Merman, not Shore, was the star of the show of which this was supposedly the original cast album. By 1950, original cast albums were fairly well established through such hit albums as OKLAHOMA!, CAROUSEL, and ANNIE GET YOUR GUN with Merman -- all of them recorded and issued by Decca.

[quote]Just to show how little Decca thought of Ethel Merman's economic potential, the Decca-Merman Madam wasn't even a full album, just a ten-inch LP that didn't include Hostess with the Mostes'.

I don't know why they didn't include "Hostess with the Mostes'," and I can't imagine why any company would have not wanted to record CALL ME MADAM with Merman, when the ANNIE GET YOUR GUN album had been a hit. Also, shouldn't Irving Berlin's feelings be factored into all this? I kind of suspect he would much rather have had Merman on the cast album, and I would think neither RCA nor any other record company would have wanted to anger Irving Berlin by signing some other singer for it.

by Anonymousreply 145September 6, 2022 1:16 PM

It's a masterpiece compared to Funny Girl. It's like somebody hired their high school kid to design the advertising campaign of that one. I've never seen marketing so cheap and amateurish. All the more so because the original logo is so iconic it was used to heavily promote the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146September 6, 2022 1:21 PM

Lea will be as funny as shit in a wig.

by Anonymousreply 147September 6, 2022 1:22 PM

I would think Irving Berlin primarily wanted hits of his songs. A "perfect" cast album wrapped up in a bow probably wasn't his chief wish.

by Anonymousreply 148September 6, 2022 1:26 PM

r121, you're missing the context of what the world was like in 1955. Replacing Merman with Dinah Shore then is not the equivalent of replacing Patti Lupone with Kelli O'Hara now. It's more akin to what replacing Lupone with Lizzo would be now.

I'm just kinda kidding. But, honestly, sometimes context is everything.

by Anonymousreply 149September 6, 2022 1:28 PM

R126, OH CAPTAIN! was recorded by Columbia Records. Abbe Lane was under contract to RCA. Abbe Lane recorded two songs from OH CAPTAIN! on her 1958 RCA album, THE LADY IN RED.

by Anonymousreply 150September 6, 2022 1:29 PM

Irving Berlin was a very very powerful man in the Broadway and recording industry at this point. It's a wonder why he couldn't work it out.

by Anonymousreply 151September 6, 2022 1:32 PM

Back to Savion Glover, his dick is HUGE, like double digits huge, he's straight, but when high (which is all the time), he'll let anyone suck it.

by Anonymousreply 152September 6, 2022 1:39 PM

Pics, please.

by Anonymousreply 153September 6, 2022 1:46 PM

R134, Toby will have Down Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 154September 6, 2022 1:56 PM

[r152] can someone speak to his heteroflexibility or is it just wishful thinking?

by Anonymousreply 155September 6, 2022 2:13 PM

I was a bit nonplussed by the Sweeny news, but I’m excited to see that Steven Hoggett is involved.

by Anonymousreply 156September 6, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] From ticketmaster.com:

[quote]"For the first time since 1980, Broadway audiences will experience Stephen Sondheim's Tony Award®-winning score as it was performed in the original production

Throwing shade at the revivals, are we?

by Anonymousreply 157September 6, 2022 2:26 PM

The 26 pieces will be thrilling, and the financial downfall for the production. Those producers don't care about returning a dime to their investors (just like the COMPANY producers); it's all about the Tony, which unfortunately ITW has locked up.

by Anonymousreply 158September 6, 2022 2:45 PM

How I wish we could retroactively re-title this TG thread, sigh. Maybe we should keep it until next time:

THEATRE GOSSIP #491: The "When Dinah Shore Ruled the Earth" Edition.

by Anonymousreply 159September 6, 2022 2:46 PM

R158, As long as it bolsters Sondheim's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 160September 6, 2022 2:51 PM

Can Josh Grobin play angry and menacing?

by Anonymousreply 161September 6, 2022 2:52 PM

Sweeney is an absolute masterpiece and my favorite Sondheim, but even I don't want to see another production for another decade at least

by Anonymousreply 162September 6, 2022 2:53 PM

Then you'll have an evening free come spring. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 163September 6, 2022 2:54 PM

Even Len Cariou, a gentleman of few words, called the Patti/Cerveris version "Silly Sweeney" and said that the scaled-down interpretation didn't make sense to him.

by Anonymousreply 164September 6, 2022 2:55 PM

R158, Len Cariou will be present for the opening night curtain call, Angie's too ill.

by Anonymousreply 165September 6, 2022 2:55 PM

Angela Lansbury's Mrs Lovett has spoiled me. NO ONE has been able to match how she could find the humor in every line--yet express innocence, empathy, yet some conniving--all simultaneously

by Anonymousreply 166September 6, 2022 2:56 PM

Ill with what?

by Anonymousreply 167September 6, 2022 2:57 PM

R167, old age

by Anonymousreply 168September 6, 2022 3:03 PM

R161-He sure can. I've been his waiter a few times.

by Anonymousreply 169September 6, 2022 3:33 PM

Marry me, r159

by Anonymousreply 170September 6, 2022 4:26 PM

Ethel Merman was a Broadway star quite a few years before ANNIE GET YOUR GUN......

by Anonymousreply 171September 6, 2022 4:33 PM

Ethel doesn't seem to have remained on friendly terms with Ginger or Betty or Betty. She stole a song from one and had a song cut from another. They all of course went on to become major Hollywood stars leaving Ethel in the Broadway dust.

by Anonymousreply 172September 6, 2022 4:46 PM

Funny Girl marketers can’t spell Tovah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 6, 2022 4:54 PM

[quote]For the first time since 1980, Broadway audiences will experience Stephen Sondheim's Tony Award®-winning score as it was performed in the original production

I saw Lansbury and Cariou a few weeks after the premiere when they still were fresh in their roles. Second row at the Uris. My God, what a production it was. The sets were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 174September 6, 2022 5:06 PM

"Premiere"?

by Anonymousreply 175September 6, 2022 5:13 PM

Adjusting for inflation, Orchestra seats for Sweeney Todd at the Uris which cost $35 in 1979, should sell for $142.83 today. This production is charging $213.50. And that's for back of the house. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from Jeffrey Seller.

by Anonymousreply 176September 6, 2022 5:24 PM

[quote] They all of course went on to become major Hollywood stars leaving Ethel in the Broadway dust.

Those gals can EAT my Broadway dust!

by Anonymousreply 177September 6, 2022 5:27 PM

any update on malcom or boyd?

by Anonymousreply 178September 6, 2022 5:33 PM

They aren't long for this earth, r178...apparently.

by Anonymousreply 179September 6, 2022 5:35 PM

Malcolm Boyd?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 6, 2022 5:37 PM

[quote]any update on malcom or boyd?

Malcolm Gets was spotted a few weeks ago in the audience for Melissa Errico's show at 54 Below. He looked older, of course, but healthy. As for Boyd Gaines, I've heard some talk about his health status, but nothing substantiated, so I won't repeat it here.

by Anonymousreply 181September 6, 2022 6:07 PM

They are both black women now and are looking forward to being casted in many things

by Anonymousreply 182September 6, 2022 6:15 PM

They're transitioning so they can audition for the lead in "DINAH: The Musical."

by Anonymousreply 183September 6, 2022 6:27 PM

See the USA in your ChevroTHEY!

by Anonymousreply 184September 6, 2022 7:06 PM

[quote]SWEENEY will be doing a dance workshop to let Hogget come up with something original. I think its going to be great.o

I never thought of "Sweeney" as a dance show, so this should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 185September 6, 2022 7:11 PM

I've seen Malcolm Gets in a few things.

He's really boring, like a gay Sam Waterston. I don't get his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 186September 6, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote}As for Boyd Gaines, I've heard some talk about his health status, but nothing substantiated, so I won't repeat it here.

Where did you hear this "talk", r181?

by Anonymousreply 187September 6, 2022 7:31 PM

Not Malcolm and Boyd!

Two of our longest, thickest and most delectable Broadway cocks.....it's a

TRAGEDY!

by Anonymousreply 188September 6, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote]Where did you hear this "talk", R181?

The same place we've all heard it, probably: From the DL troll who has been repeating it regularly without ever providing further details. He's the "I know something you don't know" troll.

by Anonymousreply 189September 6, 2022 7:56 PM

How bad are the numbers for STRANGE LOOP? It's appearing in all my feeds with discounted tix.

by Anonymousreply 190September 6, 2022 8:02 PM

I knew Malcolm Gets back when he was in Yale Drama School.

While he's had a respectable career, his being out of the closet really limited what he was asked to do. I would have thought that after being the break out star of Caroline in the City, he would have gone further

by Anonymousreply 191September 6, 2022 8:06 PM

[quote] How bad are the numbers for STRANGE LOOP? It's appearing in all my feeds with discounted tix.

Sad because it really was the Best Musical of the last two years. The subject matter may be the issue.

by Anonymousreply 192September 6, 2022 8:08 PM

No, R189, I heard something specific about Boyd Gaines' health status from someone outside of DL. But again, it was unsubstantiated, so I don't see any point in repeating it.

P.S. Up yours, R187.

by Anonymousreply 193September 6, 2022 8:11 PM

Then why even talk about it?

by Anonymousreply 194September 6, 2022 8:19 PM

What did Getz break out to?

by Anonymousreply 195September 6, 2022 8:20 PM

[quote] What did Getz break out to?

A bunch of middling gay movie roles

by Anonymousreply 196September 6, 2022 8:23 PM

Malcolm Gets did the William Finn musical “A New Brain” at Lincoln Center.

by Anonymousreply 197September 6, 2022 8:24 PM

Is tonight Lea's debut?

by Anonymousreply 198September 6, 2022 8:24 PM

How awful. It has now been confirmed that Megan Hilty's sister, brother-in-law and niece died in a plane crash in Puget Sound on Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 6, 2022 8:24 PM

I don't think Caroline In The City had a breakout star. Even Lea Thompson was pretty quite in its aftermath for many years.

by Anonymousreply 200September 6, 2022 8:26 PM

R199. That’s awful. And her sister was pregnant. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 201September 6, 2022 8:26 PM

I'd rather see Jake Gyllenhaal in Sweeney Todd than Josh Groban.

by Anonymousreply 202September 6, 2022 8:28 PM

Lauren is in the back of this pic. I always think it's tacky when they lead with a pic of the celebrity in these kinds of reports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 6, 2022 8:29 PM

R201, And the Coast Guard abruptly called off the search. Only one of the ten bodies has been found and that was by a private citizen.

by Anonymousreply 204September 6, 2022 8:31 PM

[quote] How bad are the numbers for STRANGE LOOP? It's appearing in all my feeds with discounted tix.

Their new ads feature quotes from celebrities including Jennifer Hudson a producer of the show

by Anonymousreply 205September 6, 2022 8:45 PM

Omg for Megan Hilty.

I can’t imagine the grief

by Anonymousreply 206September 6, 2022 8:59 PM

[quote]How bad are the numbers for STRANGE LOOP? It's appearing in all my feeds with discounted tix.

It's Broadway Week. 20 shows are offering twofers or other discounts through the 25th.

by Anonymousreply 207September 6, 2022 9:05 PM

It's 10 minutes into Lea's first performance. Why are none of you bitches reporting on it?

by Anonymousreply 208September 6, 2022 11:14 PM

[r208] because we are all STUNNED in silence and rendered mute by the majesty of her performance

by Anonymousreply 209September 6, 2022 11:17 PM

Because Julie went on.

by Anonymousreply 210September 6, 2022 11:18 PM

Which celebrities are in the Funny Girl audience this evening?

by Anonymousreply 211September 6, 2022 11:19 PM

Barbra dispatched Roslyn Kind.

by Anonymousreply 212September 6, 2022 11:22 PM

Not the cast of GLEE, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 213September 6, 2022 11:23 PM

Dinah's Ethel....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 6, 2022 11:24 PM

"Sad because it really was the Best Musical of the last two years:

Oh, definitely. Not one measure of distinctive music--it's state of the art!

by Anonymousreply 215September 6, 2022 11:25 PM

R211

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2022 12:09 AM

"Ryan Murphy could not be reached for comment."

by Anonymousreply 217September 7, 2022 12:12 AM

Does anyone remember which which songs Barbra would omit when she didn't feel like doing the whole show?

by Anonymousreply 218September 7, 2022 12:21 AM

[r216] well…when discerning theatre critic Drew Barrymore is in the audience, you KNOW it’s good theatre.

by Anonymousreply 219September 7, 2022 12:27 AM

I know the standards are low but Lea definteily at least looks like she has "it" and moves beatifully

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 7, 2022 12:30 AM

Lol at them having Lea hug a black person at the beginning of the backstage promo.

by Anonymousreply 221September 7, 2022 12:39 AM

The audience loves Lea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 7, 2022 12:39 AM

I bet she blows out her voice.

by Anonymousreply 223September 7, 2022 12:41 AM

[r222] America LOVES a bully

by Anonymousreply 224September 7, 2022 12:41 AM

Lea’s first performance is an event whether we like it or not. Check YouTube after 10pm because there’s bound to be curtain call videos.

by Anonymousreply 225September 7, 2022 12:41 AM

Willa Beanie boot leak? If only to embarrass her further?

by Anonymousreply 226September 7, 2022 12:43 AM

*Will a

by Anonymousreply 227September 7, 2022 12:43 AM

Can you imagine the meltdown Beanie is having...especially if Lea gets rave reviews...and she will.

by Anonymousreply 228September 7, 2022 12:53 AM

All of it meaningless, of course.

by Anonymousreply 229September 7, 2022 1:03 AM

R199

Jesus. Hilty tragically loses three family members...so they choose a picture of her looking like present-day Marilyn Monroe for the announcement?

Ghoulish.

Bitch smiles all the time...there must be a million normal-looking photos of her out there FFS.

by Anonymousreply 230September 7, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote]The audience loves Lea.

The audiences, at least early in the run, adored Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 231September 7, 2022 1:13 AM

C'mon...as much as we love to hate her, who would pass up a chance to see her as Fanny Brice in Funny Girl. I know I wouldn't. FG is the type of show you go to for the musical score and the singing. And Lea does have a stellar voice. And she can act. I was so disappointed when they announced BF would be starring in a revival. I knew she would fail, not because she didnt compare to Streisand (the go to excuse for her defenders) , or because of her size, but because she didnt have the talent, charisma, or even a passing resemblance to Brice. If I could get there, I would be there. Im sure its 1000x better. Hell, Lea and Ramin ? Thats hot in and of itself. Have you noticed how happy he appears to be with Lea as opposed to Beanie ? In all the promos and rehearsal clips, he smiling and seems exceptionally happy in the role now.

by Anonymousreply 232September 7, 2022 1:14 AM

I don't think she has a stellar voice. Her murdering of "Don't Rain on My Parade" on the Tonys did not make me want to see her play the role. She's an antagonist, that's her lane.

by Anonymousreply 233September 7, 2022 1:17 AM

[quote]Can you imagine the meltdown Beanie is having...especially if Lea gets rave reviews...and she will.

As a matter of fact, Beanie is on her way to Sardi's to wait for the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 234September 7, 2022 1:18 AM

Lea will be subject to the Streisand comparison too, fellas...

by Anonymousreply 235September 7, 2022 1:20 AM

I would like to join you bitches on this thread, but I have a mall to close.

by Anonymousreply 236September 7, 2022 1:23 AM

I really hope there's a bootleg to verify how OTT these comments are about eveyone loving her. Probably only a few are.

Juiciest Broadway scandal in years....

by Anonymousreply 237September 7, 2022 1:24 AM

It's opening night. Full of friends and fanatics.

by Anonymousreply 238September 7, 2022 1:27 AM

r235...she wont be subject to them...she WILL BE compared to Streisand because of Glee. Thats something they could never do with Beanie because of the drastic differences....and they wouldnt go there anyway out of fear of retaliation from her obsessed fans.

by Anonymousreply 239September 7, 2022 1:27 AM

Parade on TikTok already

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 7, 2022 1:50 AM

A few threads back, someone asked about how Barbara Cook fared in her stock FUNNY GIRL. Someone on a FB Cook fan page just posted this review by one Leo Seligsohn:

"WESTBURY -- Of course, Barbra Streisand is in Hollywood filming FUNNY GIRL, so she could hardly be expected to turn up in the role of Fanny Brice in the FUNNY GIRL which opened last night at the Westbury Music Fair. Instead, there was Barbara Cook, an extremely talented performer who is about as close to Fanny Brice as Doris Day is to Selma Diamond.

"Pert, blonde and bubbly, Miss Cook was a joy to listen to. But her manner and looks, pretty to a fault in this case, were a constantly discordant note as one tried to believe that she was that plain-looking girl from Henry Street, Brooklyn.

"But once that obstacle was overcome, it was easy to sit back and enjoy, enjoy. George Hamilton as Nick Arnstein came across strikingly debonair, flashing a walking stick and a smile as he swept Fanny and, if intermission comments were any indication, quite a few ladies in the audience off their feet. His pleasing singing voice and boyish if occasionally stiff manner were embellished by a fashion-plate wardrobe that had one counting the costume changes.

"The show, which glimmered somewhat unevenly during the first act, burst into its promised incandescence in Act 2. The jokes seemed funnier, the music more rousing, the cast more inspired. 'Sadie, Sadie' and 'Rat-a-Tat-Tat' were particularly exciting numbers. In the latter, the young, attractive dancers in the show sparkled, moving with grace and precision in a World War I doughboy do. Miss Cook proved herself a fine comedienne in this scene, the only one in which Fanny Brice got into the act.

"2 of the joys of this production were Jean Stapleton and Mrs. Brice and Mimi Randalph as Mrs. Strakosh. Their sweet-and-pungent comedy as they played a continual game of one-upsmanship was well timed and contained the flavor that brought authenticity to their roles. Miss Stapleton in the 'Find Yourself a Man' number was magnificent.

"Once the minor flaws were out of the way, Westbury's FUNNY GIRL was certainly a fine evening of entertainment. Helping mightily were Larry Ellis as Eddie Ryan and Sam Kressen as Tom Keeney. Both turned in outstanding performances.

"The facilities at the Music Fair and its theater in the round offer opportunity for original staging, and they were amply utilized by director-choreographer Larry Fuller. Members of the cast sweep up and down the aisles and play from the stage in a way that seems to integrate the audience into the production. One is rarely aware that the show is being played to anyone but him."

by Anonymousreply 241September 7, 2022 1:54 AM

They applaud as she BEGINS the first lyric...

by Anonymousreply 242September 7, 2022 1:55 AM

Fierce determination. Is that all she's got?

by Anonymousreply 243September 7, 2022 1:57 AM

And they applaud OVER her big finish... These people are just excited to see "the movie" on stage. That's how Benko was able to receive elated responses in her version of the song posted a while back. The audi performance doesn't really matter as the Beatlemania screams will drown it out.

by Anonymousreply 244September 7, 2022 1:59 AM

*audio

by Anonymousreply 245September 7, 2022 1:59 AM

Fuck you haters, she sounds great!!!

by Anonymousreply 246September 7, 2022 2:03 AM

Everybody loves a good comeback.

by Anonymousreply 247September 7, 2022 2:05 AM

curtain call too

it's funny to see tiny Tovah after enormous Jane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248September 7, 2022 2:09 AM

Tovah's heart is enormous.

by Anonymousreply 249September 7, 2022 2:10 AM

They're still using that tired fake entrance? WHY??

by Anonymousreply 250September 7, 2022 2:12 AM

Oh wow. She sounded fantastic. Very happy for her. What a voice.

The audio on this link below was slightly better for me than the version on tik tok even though it’s the same clip.

And these people on Twitter are still making endless jokes about how she can’t read 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251September 7, 2022 2:15 AM

Lea’s been humbled and it shows in that curtain call. Everybody deserves a second chance. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 252September 7, 2022 2:15 AM

Better shot of curtain call.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253September 7, 2022 2:16 AM

The clip above cuts out the end of the song… rest of it here….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254September 7, 2022 2:19 AM

Tovah should follow up "Becoming Dr. Ruth" with "Becoming Ruth Gordon."

by Anonymousreply 255September 7, 2022 2:19 AM

I gotta have my bite, suh!

by Anonymousreply 256September 7, 2022 2:20 AM

Meanwhile…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 7, 2022 2:25 AM

Lensie?

by Anonymousreply 258September 7, 2022 2:29 AM

OMG, that fucking obnoxious audience at Lea's first show sounds horrifying. I can't imagine paying those prices to have a bunch of morons whooping and hollering throughout every song. I would have asked for my money back.

Lea sounds great (what I could hear of her) but she's definitely not following the conductor. She sounds underrehearsed with the orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 259September 7, 2022 2:37 AM

Miss Brown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 7, 2022 4:02 AM

I'm shocked at how meager that FG cast is. What, are there 11 actors in it??

by Anonymousreply 261September 7, 2022 4:11 AM

[quote]Then why even talk about it?

Because someone asked about both Malcolm Gets and Boyd Gaines. I reported that Macolm was seen at Melissa Errico's show at 54 Below a few weeks ago, and also that I had heard something about Boyd's health status but it was uncorroborated so I didn't want to share it. Understand?

by Anonymousreply 262September 7, 2022 4:43 AM

It's really shameless how Lea Michele completely mimics Streisand's weird distortion of the music when she sings "But whether I'm a rose of sheer perfecSHUNN, a freckle on the nose of life's complecSHUNN!" I guess she probably did the same thing on Glee and when singing this song at the Tonys, but it's pretty damned nervy to carry that over to her Broadway performance in FUNNY GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 263September 7, 2022 4:51 AM

Even the extra vocal steps in "I'll Be-EeEeeat my drum!" are stolen from Streisand.

Ever heard of originality Lea?

I somehow doubt Julie does these things. She's not trying to be anyone but herself.

Lea can't find her own tics.

by Anonymousreply 264September 7, 2022 6:43 AM

Is Beanie currently on suicide watch?

by Anonymousreply 265September 7, 2022 8:03 AM

I hope Beanie doesn't eat her feelings.

by Anonymousreply 266September 7, 2022 8:18 AM

Lea is back you mother fuckers. She is killing Broadway dead, and no fucker will be left alive, after she eats the fucking ass of this city.

EAT IT< COOKIE!!!

by Anonymousreply 267September 7, 2022 8:46 AM

Poor Beanie. Who could have guessed she'd be a disgraced she-cow on a suicide watch in September of 2022?

Just a few short months ago, she had assumed she'd be stroking her Tony while getting ready to fly to Los Angeles to accept her Emmy for her brave portrayal as Monica Lewinsky in a few days time on her 16th weekend off from appearing in her bravura Broadway lead role debut. And, making plans to snag her Oscar and Grammy next year for yet another brave performance of hers.

Sad final days.

by Anonymousreply 268September 7, 2022 9:21 AM

[quote]she eats the fucking ass of this city

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 269September 7, 2022 9:38 AM

"In an attempt to give the change-up some breathing room, the production is formally inviting critics to review the show again in three weeks. So, The Post bought its own ticket Tuesday for the best seat in the house — Rear Mezzanine Row Q."

So it's 3 weeks, then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 7, 2022 9:43 AM

I'm happy for Lea. I watched GLEE back in the day. Well, the first three seasons up until they graduated from high school. I hate it when shows do drastic cast change-ups after 3-5 years, with new characters/locales. For this reason, I have never watched the latter seasons of ROSEANNE, WEEDS, or ALLY MCBEAL.

Anyway, I remember enjoying her Tracy Flick-esque character. I believe she was even nominated for an Emmy. That first season was really good. In fact, the first 13 episodes could be its own miniseries. It has a middle, beginning, and end -- and it was only mid-season. It was perfect. I wish it had been, because then GLEE would be more fondly remembered at large. But by Season 2 it had just become a big, autotuned music video covering the latest pop hits. And too much spontaneous singing But I stuck with it, because I liked the characters. But when some left after graduation or became secondary to new characters, I stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 271September 7, 2022 10:05 AM

I love curtain calls.

by Anonymousreply 272September 7, 2022 10:47 AM

[quote]I don't think she has a stellar voice. Her murdering of "Don't Rain on My Parade" on the Tonys did not make me want to see her play the role. She's an antagonist, that's her lane.

Murder!

by Anonymousreply 273September 7, 2022 10:49 AM

Did she sing "I'd Rather Be Blue"?

by Anonymousreply 274September 7, 2022 12:09 PM

Tovah looks genuinely happy for and proud of Lea in those curtain call vids

by Anonymousreply 275September 7, 2022 12:21 PM

'A role that’s harder to make stand out than a beige accent wall' is almost as lame as Ms Green's 'as layered as a lasagna' for Emily Skinner's Desiree. These writers are so bad.

by Anonymousreply 276September 7, 2022 12:24 PM

Lea’s Music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 7, 2022 12:28 PM

[Quote] also that I had heard something about Boyd's health status but it was uncorroborated so I didn't want to share it. Understand?

No. Why share that you're not going to share? It's phony discretion.

by Anonymousreply 278September 7, 2022 12:46 PM

R145, as you point out, if Berlin had a problem with Dinah on the album it would not have happened, since no one wanted to anger Berlin.

Clearly Dinah over Merman on the album had his blessing.

by Anonymousreply 279September 7, 2022 12:51 PM

And The Merm never worked with Berlin again.

by Anonymousreply 280September 7, 2022 12:53 PM

So the new Little Red is...voluptuous too. Is that the "concept" or were they afraid of getting slammed for replacing a big actress with a non-big actress?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281September 7, 2022 12:55 PM

That MTMD is pretty great. She’s doing exactly what we all expected she could do, sing the fucking role. What a relief that actual talent still exists.

by Anonymousreply 282September 7, 2022 12:57 PM

Well, they replaced me with someone who has little following...

by Anonymousreply 283September 7, 2022 12:57 PM

R281. Ummmmmm. Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 284September 7, 2022 12:57 PM

R281

Um....that's just called obese....or fat.

When you look like the Michelin Man....you're fat.

Christ.

by Anonymousreply 285September 7, 2022 1:07 PM

Holy fuck, how the hell would the wolf manage to swallow that Little Red without exploding? That is 1000 lb Sisters fat!

by Anonymousreply 286September 7, 2022 1:14 PM

I would be shocked if they didn't do a cast album with Lea.

by Anonymousreply 287September 7, 2022 1:15 PM

They need to beef up that orchestra if they do a cast album. They sound embarrassing. Out of tune and tinny. The music director needs to whip the pit into shape. There’s an actual singer on stage. Play your instrument in tune and like it actually means something. This isn’t talentless lazy Beanie. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 288September 7, 2022 1:18 PM

ITW announces FINAL EXTENSION through January. Why isn’t it an open ended run?

by Anonymousreply 289September 7, 2022 1:21 PM

Is the Live (or As Live) Musicals on TV thing dead? One would think Lea Michele in FUNNY GIRL would be a prime contender for that. Throw in Darring Criss or Nick Jonas in place of Ramin Karimloo.

by Anonymousreply 290September 7, 2022 1:25 PM

Ok queens in the know… who is the final cast of Into the Woods?

by Anonymousreply 291September 7, 2022 1:32 PM

Will Ellen Foley return?

by Anonymousreply 292September 7, 2022 1:34 PM

for all its supposed inclusivity Woods is keeping every role in the same category. Witch stays Black, baker and wife stay white, Red stays fat, one prince Black, wolf/prince white, etc. Only change is that Cinderella can be Asian or Latin, so that's the "miscellaneous minority" role because we don't really care about them, I'd love to see a Latin witch or a Black baker's wife.

by Anonymousreply 293September 7, 2022 1:34 PM

[Quote] Cinderella can be Asian or Latin, so that's the "miscellaneous minority" role because we don't really care about them

What a weird take.

by Anonymousreply 294September 7, 2022 1:36 PM

Can final Cinderella be differently abled? I'd like to see Ali Stroker singing about being "stuck on the steps of the palace."

by Anonymousreply 295September 7, 2022 1:42 PM

Nikki Renee Daniels would be a great Baker's Wife.

by Anonymousreply 296September 7, 2022 1:43 PM

[quote] It's really shameless how Lea Michele completely mimics Streisand's weird distortion of the music when she sings

Um, that's what she ALWAYS does

by Anonymousreply 297September 7, 2022 1:50 PM

Even when producers and creatives try and diversify the cast it just isn’t enough for some people. I WANT TO SEE A DOMINICAN DWARF AS LITTLE RED!

by Anonymousreply 298September 7, 2022 2:03 PM

Lainie's own words...

13:57

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 7, 2022 2:04 PM

Merman didn't work with Berlin after MADAM because he only wrote one more Bway musical, MR. PRESIDENT. Not a role in that show for the Merm.

by Anonymousreply 300September 7, 2022 2:19 PM

It coudn't have been MRS. PRESIDENT?!

by Anonymousreply 301September 7, 2022 2:19 PM

Are you all forgetting Merman had a huge hit in her Annie (Granny) Get Your Gun Broadway revival in 1966? So she did work with Berlin again, and very successfully. The OBC album is an utter delight even at her advanced age.

by Anonymousreply 302September 7, 2022 2:30 PM

[quote]Not a role in that show for the Merm.

It's not like the Secret Service would make *her* nervous.

by Anonymousreply 303September 7, 2022 2:32 PM

Go Lea!!!

by Anonymousreply 304September 7, 2022 2:43 PM

Uh, Beanie needs to leave the country the day Lea's reviews are posted. Those clips are thrilling. They should have started with her instead of Ms. Amateur Hour.

by Anonymousreply 305September 7, 2022 2:46 PM

Oh, please. Funny Girl is a bad show. And Lea is unsympathetic. She's no one's humbled underdog.

by Anonymousreply 306September 7, 2022 2:49 PM

r289, "New York, New York" is reported (or rumored?) to be going into the St. James. If true, it starts previews in March. The advance for the current ITW extension must not be big enough to make exploring moving another show (like they did with Piano Lesson) worth it.

by Anonymousreply 307September 7, 2022 2:51 PM

For those here who really know music and vocal performance, do you think Lea has the pipes to do what she did last night - adrenaline and drive - every night - or will she have to pull back and/or do damage and/or miss a lot?

by Anonymousreply 308September 7, 2022 2:51 PM

The audience covered many of her big vocalizing. Otherwise, she didn't seem to be taxing herself too much, to my ears.

by Anonymousreply 309September 7, 2022 2:54 PM

It sounds healthy to me. I’m a classically trained singer. She’s being careful where she needs to and letting out where she needs to. I think she’ll be fine. Working on Glee was most likely more arduous vocally. We’ll know in about a month.

by Anonymousreply 310September 7, 2022 2:57 PM

GLEE autotuned vocals to hell and back.

by Anonymousreply 311September 7, 2022 2:58 PM

The producers must be thrilled. Even THE TIMES covered last night. She'll be doing $1.5 million by week three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312September 7, 2022 3:02 PM

Agreed R312.

by Anonymousreply 313September 7, 2022 3:09 PM

Renee Elise Goldsberry would be a great Baker’s Wife!

by Anonymousreply 314September 7, 2022 3:24 PM

It just goes to show that if you are a bitch to everyone and hated by most of your peers, you are rewarded and given opportunities at every turn!

by Anonymousreply 315September 7, 2022 3:52 PM

Not always rewarded...

by Anonymousreply 316September 7, 2022 3:54 PM

Though I DO have 2 Tonys!

by Anonymousreply 317September 7, 2022 3:58 PM

She's not "hated by most of her peers." That's ridiculous. If she were all the awful things everyone has accused her of, Murphy would have called her on it. They were all young and stupid on GLEE. I'm sure there was bad behavior all around.

by Anonymousreply 318September 7, 2022 4:34 PM

Bless your heart re Murphy. And Lea was a terror before GLEE. Her stage co-stars have called her out too.

by Anonymousreply 319September 7, 2022 4:40 PM

Ah yes, that fair guy Ryan Murphy who totally doesn't play favourites with his actors, and was renowned for running a totally professional set on Glee

by Anonymousreply 320September 7, 2022 4:55 PM

[quote] Bless your heart re Murphy. And Lea was a terror before GLEE. Her stage co-stars have called her out too.

Darling, it's 2022. [italic] Everyone [/italic] has been called out.

by Anonymousreply 321September 7, 2022 4:59 PM

ITW should play off broadway like Kinky Boots. It’s a small production and would work in a smaller house. No?

by Anonymousreply 322September 7, 2022 5:03 PM

Is there even a production? It doesn’t look like it has a set or costumes for that matter. It looks as barebones as possible.

by Anonymousreply 323September 7, 2022 5:05 PM

[Quote] Darling, it's 2022. Everyone has been called out.

Hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 324September 7, 2022 5:12 PM

Everyone is being far too kind. Lea sounds pitchy and isn’t much of a singing actress. Sure, she has a big belt but that ain’t all that is required. That said, miles above Lardy Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 325September 7, 2022 6:36 PM

Anyone who uses the word “pitchy” doesn’t know anything about singing.

by Anonymousreply 326September 7, 2022 6:46 PM

r326 = Mrs. Jerry Orbach

by Anonymousreply 327September 7, 2022 6:53 PM

Why the fuck would Beanie wear a two piece swimsuit? She looks like a hausfrau in Idaho. I guess her next role will be Totie Fields.

by Anonymousreply 328September 7, 2022 7:16 PM

Because Beanie is BODY POSITIVE r328. How dare you!!!

by Anonymousreply 329September 7, 2022 7:17 PM

Ethel was 56 when she did Annie at Lincoln Center. On DL that's hardly considered an advanced age. Maybe if she were 86.

by Anonymousreply 330September 7, 2022 7:19 PM

R330, I loved her rendition of Tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 331September 7, 2022 7:22 PM

So did I, r331.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332September 7, 2022 7:32 PM

^ LOL

The fact remains that Lea is only adequate in Funny Girl, an imitation and a limited one, and that the hooplah surrounding the production and this being her "dream come true" is what's selling tickets and will keep the show going.

Ten years from now...heck five years from now...no one will be waxing poetic about her phenomenal turn.

It's a 3/10 show and she's giving the expected 5/10 performance.

I really hope critics make that clear. It's their job to document Broadway for future generations. God forbid this is categorized as some brilliant performance for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 333September 7, 2022 7:39 PM

Um but have you seen it r333

by Anonymousreply 334September 7, 2022 7:52 PM

[quote]As you point out, if Berlin had a problem with Dinah on the album it would not have happened, since no one wanted to anger Berlin.

That's an interesting point. Seeing how Berlin and Merman loved each other, I wonder what exactly were the various reactions when Dinah Shore was signed to do the CALL ME MADAM cast album. I imagine Merman was somewhat appeased by Decca issuing its own album of her doing the songs, but still....

As for you, R278 piss off. You're certainly not going to goad me into sharing what I've heard about Boyd Gaines. The reason I'm not going to share it is that IT'S TOTALLY UNCORROBORATED, and the only reason I mentioned that I'd heard something was in contrast to the solid information I had about Malcolm Gets having been present at Melissa Errico's show at 54 Below.

by Anonymousreply 335September 7, 2022 8:06 PM

Boyd Gaines' health is of no interest to me. Teasing information is tiresome. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 336September 7, 2022 8:07 PM

All I'd like to know, r335, is *where* you heard it.

by Anonymousreply 337September 7, 2022 8:09 PM

Don't poke r335. He make go ALL CAPS again.

by Anonymousreply 338September 7, 2022 8:14 PM

[quote]Ethel was 56 when she did Annie at Lincoln Center. On DL that's hardly considered an advanced age. Maybe if she were 86.

What?? On DL, 56 is considered one foot in the grave.

by Anonymousreply 339September 7, 2022 8:23 PM

So you are interested in Malcolm's health?

by Anonymousreply 340September 7, 2022 8:26 PM

Ethel looked like a teenager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341September 7, 2022 8:27 PM

So Young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342September 7, 2022 8:28 PM

Lea's The Music That Makes Me Dance sounds fantastic. She doesn't seem to be a great person, but you can't deny talent.

by Anonymousreply 343September 7, 2022 8:30 PM

Decca's Merman recording of Madam was originally just a 10" LP of highlights which didn't even include The Hostess with the Mostess. When it started outselling Shore's OBCR, Decca called Merman, Haymes and Gordon Jenkins and his orchestra back to the studio, recorded five more numbers and re-released it on a 12" LP. The OBCR went out of print fairly quickly but not Merman's recording, which stayed around for several years.

by Anonymousreply 344September 7, 2022 8:33 PM

It doesn’t sound fantastic, merely adequate—and she *is* pitchy, as in she often is over it under the nite in question. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 345September 7, 2022 8:35 PM

over or under the note!

(typing in the dark)

by Anonymousreply 346September 7, 2022 8:35 PM

Jule Styne wrote Gypsy for Merman and Funny Girl for Babs. Lots of other actresses have triumphed (some more than others) playing Rose in Gypsy, but everyone thinks that Funny Girl is owned by Streisand. Is it because Streisand did the movie of Funny Girl that the show is so strongly identified with her? Or is it just because there hadn't been a Funny Girl revival on Broadway? No matter how good Lea is, I can't imagine anyone saying that she has stolen the role from Babs the way that some said Angela Lansbury or Tyne Daley were better than the Merm.

by Anonymousreply 347September 7, 2022 8:37 PM

R345, the point is that "pitchy" is a silly term used by people whose knowledge of singing only comes from AMERICAN IDOL or AMERICA'S GOT TALENT.

by Anonymousreply 348September 7, 2022 8:38 PM

r260's post reminded me of this.

Please step aside for some *real* talent! These ladies knew how to work the audience.

THIS was why people originally went to Broadway shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349September 7, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote]Everyone thinks that Funny Girl is owned by Streisand. Is it because Streisand did the movie of Funny Girl that the show is so strongly identified with her? Or is it just because there hadn't been a Funny Girl revival on Broadway?

The answer is : for both reasons, but primarily the former. Similar situation, though maybe not quite to the same extent, as Yul Brynner/THE KING AND I and Robert Preston/THE MUSIC MAN.

by Anonymousreply 350September 7, 2022 8:41 PM

r317

2 tonys??? Did you get the 2nd for blowing the crew?

by Anonymousreply 351September 7, 2022 8:42 PM

That's a great clip at R349, but the title of the show was BLACK AND BLUE.

by Anonymousreply 352September 7, 2022 8:43 PM

I wonder if the “twink with opera gloves” is on OnlyFans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353September 7, 2022 8:47 PM

[Quote] (typing in the dark)

Burglary?

by Anonymousreply 354September 7, 2022 8:47 PM

[Quote] 2 tonys??? Did you get the 2nd for blowing the crew?

Betty Bacall. Buckley is Betty Lynn around these parts.

by Anonymousreply 355September 7, 2022 8:48 PM

[Quote] The point is that "pitchy" is a silly term used by people whose knowledge of singing

Many people have functioning ears.

by Anonymousreply 356September 7, 2022 8:49 PM

Exactly R348.

by Anonymousreply 357September 7, 2022 8:50 PM

Most of them wouldn’t know what out of tune singing was if it bit them in the ass R356, and that includes you. Whatever your issues with Lea Michele, out of tune singing is not one of them. Period. Complain about her being a cunt all you want, she has zero problem singing Fanny, and in fact sings the role with quite a bit of distinction, finesse, and vocal glamor. And don’t tell me there are a “million others” who could do it. There literally are not.

by Anonymousreply 358September 7, 2022 8:53 PM

Good examples, R350. I guess you could add Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady to that list. Certainly Merman owns Call Me Madam, but I think that's mainly because it's not a great show and doesn't get revived these days.

by Anonymousreply 359September 7, 2022 8:57 PM

At least learn to spell glamour if you're goint to attempt supercilious...

by Anonymousreply 360September 7, 2022 8:59 PM

*going

by Anonymousreply 361September 7, 2022 9:00 PM

How did the Merm feel when her arch rival Mary Martin did "Annie..." on tv?

Did Merm ignore it or did she scream at Little Ethel for the entire show like Joan Crawford berating Christina?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362September 7, 2022 9:00 PM

[quote]Good examples, [R350]. I guess you could add Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady to that list.

Yes, definitely. I just forgot him.

by Anonymousreply 363September 7, 2022 9:07 PM

I saw Granny Get Your Gun on tour in Detroit. Everyone knew Merman was too old for the role, but nobody gave a hoot. We were in the presence of a huge star proving why she was a legend. (Besides, the show is a cartoon to begin with.) There wasn't a single talented age-appropriate performer I would have rather seen in the role instead of Ethel.

by Anonymousreply 364September 7, 2022 9:18 PM

What I love about that audio of Lea’s MTMMD is the audience is finally quiet until some idiots start applauding then, when no one else joins in, they stop. I think she sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 365September 7, 2022 9:26 PM

Old Ethel could have played Annie in "Annie"!

by Anonymousreply 366September 7, 2022 9:36 PM

R333- doesn’t sound like you’ve seen it. Those who have raved about her acting, comedy, and vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 367September 7, 2022 10:12 PM

Zip!

by Anonymousreply 368September 7, 2022 10:19 PM

Fanny is harder to cast than some of those other roles because of the appropriate Jewishness required in her look and in her sense of comedy. Something that's not been easy to find in young leading lady types since Streisand debuted. Momma Rose, Harold Hill and Henry Higgins can all be cast successfully with a variety of physical types. I'll agree on the King of Siam, however.

by Anonymousreply 369September 7, 2022 11:16 PM

[quote] What?? On DL, 56 is considered one foot in the grave.

No r339, on DL, 56 is considered infancy.

by Anonymousreply 370September 7, 2022 11:42 PM

Jaysis, that Black And Blue number is thrilling. And was even more thrilling when I saw it at a Sunday matinee during its run. Yes, it needs two ladies of a certain age who can sing the blues, a big crew of dancers who can do precision tap and a big band (the sets weren’t much, as I remember), but I bet a revival would have a good run. It’s just so joyful, and when is that never not in demand?

by Anonymousreply 371September 8, 2022 1:43 AM

Good luck finding another Ruth Brown and Linda Hopkins, r371.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372September 8, 2022 1:47 AM

There's never a shortage out these of big black women who can sang.

by Anonymousreply 373September 8, 2022 1:52 AM

Ruth Brown and Linda Hopkins were names, r373, not merely big black women who could sing.

by Anonymousreply 374September 8, 2022 1:55 AM

Phil...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375September 8, 2022 1:57 AM

Lizzo could sing that.

by Anonymousreply 376September 8, 2022 2:03 AM

Carrie Smith and *that* costume...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377September 8, 2022 2:25 AM

Didn't Merman go to see Mary Martin play the part at the Majestic before the tour went out? I believe that is documented history.

by Anonymousreply 378September 8, 2022 2:46 AM

R378, she also went to see Lauren Bacall, mostly to jeer and laugh her ass off.

by Anonymousreply 379September 8, 2022 2:59 AM

I can so see that r379...and I bet she did it right to Bacalls face too.

by Anonymousreply 380September 8, 2022 3:03 AM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1960, a revival of "H.M.S. Pinafore" opened at the Phoenix Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 381September 8, 2022 3:06 AM

r381...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382September 8, 2022 3:10 AM

R380, there’s that old theater story that Merman went to see Applause and after Bacall’s first number, Merman could loudly be heard saying, “Jesus!”

by Anonymousreply 383September 8, 2022 3:12 AM

OMG r383...thanks for the laugh...im still laughing. You know she did it too. I can hear it. And thats the word she would use too.

by Anonymousreply 384September 8, 2022 3:16 AM

Lee Roy Reams tells that story on YouTube. Rick McKay's channel, I think.

by Anonymousreply 385September 8, 2022 3:17 AM

‘A Christmas Carol’ Starring Jefferson Mays Heading To Broadway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386September 8, 2022 3:22 AM

I love the story of Lauren Bacall opening her mouth to sing in Woman Of the Year and Ethel Merman in the front row saying, “Christ”

by Anonymousreply 387September 8, 2022 3:38 AM

r371 It seems they do not want to revive any of the many brilliant, vibrant and entertaining black lead shows that have played over the decades. They want some barely talented man singing about having a white mans' cum in his ass cavity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388September 8, 2022 3:44 AM

[Quote] They want some barely talented man singing about having a white mans' cum in his ass cavity.

Harry Styles is coming to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 389September 8, 2022 3:48 AM

BBS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390September 8, 2022 4:10 AM

r388

A Strange Poop

by Anonymousreply 391September 8, 2022 4:10 AM

Revive this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392September 8, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote]I'd like to see Ali Stroker singing about being "stuck on the steps of the palace."

#MeToo

by Anonymousreply 393September 8, 2022 5:17 AM

^ I really liked watching that.

But would it sell tickets, realistically? I mean, tastes change and are cyclical. The 20s and 40s were nostalgic during the 80s and 90s...

What are we nostalgic for now? Funny Girl is getting by more thanks to the scandal than the material. It's a weird time. I can't tell what's popular right now.

by Anonymousreply 394September 8, 2022 5:18 AM

R394 Lea and Idina in The Rink! Back Spring 2023.

by Anonymousreply 395September 8, 2022 5:19 AM

Ariana Grande in CLUELESS: The Musical.

by Anonymousreply 396September 8, 2022 5:21 AM

Zachary Quinto is playing Gore Vidal in London. And a black actor is playing William F. Buckley. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397September 8, 2022 6:15 AM

Jesus. William F. Buckley is a fucking REAL person. Why the hell would you cast a Black actor to play him?

by Anonymousreply 398September 8, 2022 6:33 AM

[quote]there’s that old theater story that Merman went to see Applause and after Bacall’s first number, Merman could loudly be heard saying, “Jesus!”

It was "Woman of the Year," not "Applause." And Merman's "Jesus!" was after Bacall's first note.

by Anonymousreply 399September 8, 2022 6:34 AM

R397 R398 Jesus fucking wept.

by Anonymousreply 400September 8, 2022 7:22 AM

Are any of you guys into Phantom?

I just realized it's almost never discussed in these threads...

I hate that Cameron Mackintosh has changed elements of the London original.

by Anonymousreply 401September 8, 2022 8:21 AM

[quote] Are any of you guys into Phantom? I just realized it's almost never discussed in these threads..

Not much to say about it, really. It's an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical that's been running for 56 years.

by Anonymousreply 402September 8, 2022 8:28 AM

The Ethel/Betty story goes around in slightly different versions and in one, Ethel says"Jesus! Pick a note Betty!"

by Anonymousreply 403September 8, 2022 8:41 AM

Lea Michelle’s DROMP is so meta, you can feel the audience is enjoying the “Rachel Berry” -iness of it all, applauding the performance and cheering the actress on in her own personal struggles. And that was just the first night.

Her performance will deepen, it will become more her own, she’ll play more with it in front of an audience and they will go to see her again and again.

by Anonymousreply 404September 8, 2022 8:47 AM

R4o4 You are so sweet. And I agree. She will kill it.

And I adored the re review that ended with that killer 'The Michael Mayer direction is still stodgy fail crap shit poo'....line.

by Anonymousreply 405September 8, 2022 8:52 AM

Black and Blue was sensational. But I just could have killed the guy who told me about the dress before I saw the show! And Sophisticated Ladies was wonderful. And Ain't Misbehavin is the Broadway show I saw the most times. I couldn't stop going back to see it. Perfection as joy. And the obc comes nowhere near giving an impression of how great it was.

And yes people like Linda Hopkins and Ruth Brown are not coming around again. And nobody would whoop and holler while they sang. They demanded too much respect. And you actually wanted to hear them.

by Anonymousreply 406September 8, 2022 9:18 AM

R399, "Sam Craig, wherever you are . . "

by Anonymousreply 407September 8, 2022 10:11 AM

Having a black actor play William F. Buckley is all kinds of wrong. What makes that Buckley/Vidal debate so interesting is that Buckley was coming from a place of white privilege. Today’s equivalent would be Anderson Cooper, even though his political ideology is different, he has money to be above the daily person’s problems.

by Anonymousreply 408September 8, 2022 11:02 AM

Political ideology and agendas are so much more important today than the theatrical experience itself. Points must be made disassociated from any theatrical context.

by Anonymousreply 409September 8, 2022 11:21 AM

Leo Roy Reams was sitting next to Ethel and said she simply exclaimed "Jesus!"

These anecdotes are like a game of telephone and become more enhanced the more they're told.

by Anonymousreply 410September 8, 2022 11:28 AM

This story comes from Reams, who loves a good tale even if it means a bit if exaggeration. I'm guessing Ethel said it, but not as loudly and dramatically as he reports.

by Anonymousreply 411September 8, 2022 11:54 AM

*of ^

by Anonymousreply 412September 8, 2022 11:56 AM

So happy to see Helen Shaw is now reviewing theater for the New Yorker after her stint at New York. Hope she isn't in circulation with the other lesser talents they've been using.

by Anonymousreply 413September 8, 2022 11:59 AM

[quote] I love the story of Lauren Bacall opening her mouth to sing in Woman Of the Year and Ethel Merman in the front row saying, “Christ”

[quote] [R380], there’s that old theater story that Merman went to see Applause and after Bacall’s first number, Merman could loudly be heard saying, “Jesus!”

[quote] The Ethel/Betty story goes around in slightly different versions and in one, Ethel says"Jesus! Pick a note Betty!"

[quote] Leo Roy Reams was sitting next to Ethel and said she simply exclaimed "Jesus!"

[quote] These anecdotes are like a game of telephone and become more enhanced the more they're told.

by Anonymousreply 414September 8, 2022 12:12 PM

Will Lea be as well-attended and celebrated in November as she is in September?

WE shall see.

by Anonymousreply 415September 8, 2022 1:35 PM

Does Tovah also resemble a light house keeper?

by Anonymousreply 416September 8, 2022 1:36 PM

She’ll certainly be better attended than your performances Beaner.

by Anonymousreply 417September 8, 2022 1:38 PM

Robert Altman directed a filmed stage version of Black & Blue for PBS' Great Performances which aired in 1993 but I'll be damned if I can find more than just a trailer for it.

by Anonymousreply 418September 8, 2022 3:33 PM

Did the now probably deceased Queen ever attend a Broadway performance?

by Anonymousreply 419September 8, 2022 4:02 PM

Yes. Diana The Musical. It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 420September 8, 2022 4:08 PM

I have it on good authority that when Lea Michele opened her mouth to sing at Funny Girl, Zachary Quinto said “Christ”

But that could also be because he just saw how good looking his ex boyfriend Jon Groff looked across the room.

My source will get back to me

by Anonymousreply 421September 8, 2022 4:39 PM

I didn't remember that, r418...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422September 8, 2022 4:39 PM

I. Just. Can’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423September 8, 2022 4:57 PM

Why are they talking about sleeves when it's obviously a shawl?

by Anonymousreply 424September 8, 2022 5:10 PM

Some felt that Beanie's singing was hurtful.

by Anonymousreply 425September 8, 2022 5:13 PM

So the producers hired a ‘plus size actress’ but didn’t put her picture outside of the theatre like they were trying to hide the fact that she’s plus size? Seriously? Did Beanie ever say ‘hey get rid of these sleeves because I want to celebrate my plus size arms?’

by Anonymousreply 426September 8, 2022 5:31 PM

[quote]“It took [the producers] no more than three seconds to remove the sleeves for Fanny’s final dress after Beanie left,” she said. “And you can say whatever you want about it, but as a bigger-bodied person, it was noticed, felt and noted.”

So, in addition to being "bigger-bodied," this person has atrocious grammar :-(

by Anonymousreply 427September 8, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote] Are any of you guys into Phantom? I just realized it's almost never discussed in these threads..

I revisited Phantom about 15 years ago. All I remember is how they had slowed down the tempos, robbing the show of energy.

Also, the auditorium had a thick layer of dust over the rafters

by Anonymousreply 428September 8, 2022 5:56 PM

Why couldn't Monkeypox only affect woke twitter and tiktok assholes (and be fatal)?

by Anonymousreply 429September 8, 2022 5:57 PM

If these idiots have a problem with sleeves then they should blame costume designer Susan Hilferty for putting Beanie in voluminous sleeves, not for removing them for Lea.

by Anonymousreply 430September 8, 2022 5:57 PM

Why are there side-by-side photos of Lea Michele and Kate Smith at R423?

by Anonymousreply 431September 8, 2022 6:01 PM

R430--How about Beanie is f'ing fat and no one wanted to see her fat face on the ads?

The drapy sleeves are to over her hideously fat arms.

Let's be real here

by Anonymousreply 432September 8, 2022 6:03 PM

How sad that Queen Elizabeth II isn't going to get to see the movie version of "Merrily We Roll Along" with Beanie and Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 433September 8, 2022 6:05 PM

Too bad Velma Middleton wasn't around to do "Black and Blue."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434September 8, 2022 6:07 PM

In case anyone has been wondering how the Thought Police at the Broadway Remembered group on Facebook have been dealing with Lea Michele taking over the lead in "Funny Girl," here's an update from the administrator. That group seems to be on the verge of book burning.

"Yet another reminder... Due to excessive flaming, NO DISCUSSION OF FUNNY GIRL. AT ALL. PERIOD. That also includes no bashing of Beanie Feldstein, Lea Michele or Josh Groban. We are very serious about this and hate having to keep bringing it up."

by Anonymousreply 435September 8, 2022 6:38 PM

[quote]Why are they talking about sleeves when it's obviously a shawl?

Why are you talking about a shawl, r424, when they're obviously sleeves?

by Anonymousreply 436September 8, 2022 6:44 PM

[quote] Due to excessive flaming

The only one doing any excessive flaming on there is that fat elderqueen who runs it.

by Anonymousreply 437September 8, 2022 6:47 PM

LaVern Baker took over for the last eight months after Ruth left, r434.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438September 8, 2022 6:51 PM

[quote]The only one doing any excessive flaming on there is that fat elderqueen who runs it.

Do you happen to have the name of that fat elderqueen? I've blocked it out after having had a bad experience with her.

by Anonymousreply 439September 8, 2022 7:03 PM

Are the West End shows on tonight?

by Anonymousreply 440September 8, 2022 7:12 PM

Won't matter. No one is going anyway...

by Anonymousreply 441September 8, 2022 7:14 PM

No one wanted to see Fanny Brice’s bare bingo wings flapping in the wind. I’m sure most of all, Beanie. I mean, are these people for real?

by Anonymousreply 442September 8, 2022 8:38 PM

Are some of you trying to promote this gatekeeper's page?

by Anonymousreply 443September 8, 2022 8:40 PM

r440 Yes

by Anonymousreply 444September 8, 2022 8:45 PM

Josh Groban is an interesting choice for Funny Girl

by Anonymousreply 445September 8, 2022 9:50 PM

Yeah, why include him? He's got nothing to do with this subject...

by Anonymousreply 446September 8, 2022 11:13 PM

The rule is: Black actors can play any role they want - even if the role is an actual white person, living or dead. White actors can only play white characters. To disagree is literal racsim.

by Anonymousreply 447September 8, 2022 11:27 PM

Emma Stone was a half Asian not that long ago, right?

by Anonymousreply 448September 8, 2022 11:29 PM

Could you imagine if Victor Garber played Martin Luther King Jr?

by Anonymousreply 449September 8, 2022 11:57 PM

Yawn, r449.

by Anonymousreply 450September 8, 2022 11:58 PM

R449-First of all, he's TOO FUCKING OLD!

by Anonymousreply 451September 9, 2022 12:12 AM

Benko doing Thursday nights was part of taking care of Benko. They needed her to do all the post-Beanie, pre-Lea performances, so it was only reasonable that she continued to do one show a week, if for her pride alone, and making sure they had someone they could trust. They have created a "star" in Benko, and they will smartly have her do the national tour, and she will sell tickets. Out of a real Beanie shitshow, they've saved this thing.

by Anonymousreply 452September 9, 2022 1:57 AM

Julie Benko's parents are posting on the DL, I see.

by Anonymousreply 453September 9, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote]and they will smartly have her do the national tour,

So, r452, Benko is the new Marilyn Michaels?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 9, 2022 2:09 AM

Well, she couldn't be the new Marilyn McCoo!

by Anonymousreply 455September 9, 2022 2:12 AM

If FUNNY GIRL tours it will need a name that potential ticket buyers out there know. Julie Benko, and I'm a fan, is not that name.

by Anonymousreply 456September 9, 2022 2:12 AM

Vicki Lewis IS Funny Girl!

by Anonymousreply 457September 9, 2022 2:13 AM

Even the rave -reviewed Hello Dolly! revival tour needed a name and Betty Lynn Buckley did not sell tickets and the tour struggled.

by Anonymousreply 458September 9, 2022 2:14 AM

Vicki Lewis WAS Funny Girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459September 9, 2022 2:15 AM

"Rave -reviewed", r458?

by Anonymousreply 460September 9, 2022 2:16 AM

They made Julie wear the body-shaming sleeves/shawl too out of blatant fatphobia. Not funny, gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461September 9, 2022 2:31 AM

^ It looks like a cross between Juicy Lucy and Tessie Tura.

by Anonymousreply 462September 9, 2022 2:33 AM

Christine Andreas *is* Tour Mrs. Brice.

by Anonymousreply 463September 9, 2022 2:41 AM

[Quote] Vicki Lewis IS Funny Girl!

I first read that as Vicki Lawrence!

by Anonymousreply 464September 9, 2022 2:43 AM

Mrs. Brice on the Marilyn Michaels tour was Lillian Roth and Mrs. Strakosh was Dena (Mother Nature) Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 465September 9, 2022 2:44 AM

I meant the tour was based on the rave-reviewed Broadway revival of Hello, Dolly! r460, not the tour itself.

Sorry for the horrid confusion!

by Anonymousreply 466September 9, 2022 2:58 AM

lol. Julie Benko will not be the start of a Funny Girl tour, dear. They need to actually sell tickets.

by Anonymousreply 467September 9, 2022 3:06 AM

It’s more likely to be Flo from the Progressive commercials.

by Anonymousreply 468September 9, 2022 3:07 AM

r458...the reason Hello Dolly was the sensation it was on Broadway wasnt the actual musical...it was Bette Midler. It faltered when she wasnt the star there as well.

by Anonymousreply 469September 9, 2022 3:16 AM

So does The Music Man have a prayer after Hugh leaves? Will they get Jake Gyllenhaal? Who might possibly give them the box office they need?

Will it tour?

by Anonymousreply 470September 9, 2022 3:39 AM

NPH

by Anonymousreply 471September 9, 2022 3:43 AM

Sean Hayes?

by Anonymousreply 472September 9, 2022 3:59 AM

Stop it Sean, you're embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 473September 9, 2022 4:01 AM

They should try for Zac Efron, especially as he now has a face for the stage.

by Anonymousreply 474September 9, 2022 4:01 AM

They could have a HSM reunion. Vanessa Hudgens could sing Sutton Foster keys, probably. And Corbin Bleu would annoy DL racists. See also: Justin Guarini.

by Anonymousreply 475September 9, 2022 4:02 AM

Funny Girl raised an incredible $2 million in ticket sales within 24 hours. Lea Michelle is not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 476September 9, 2022 4:06 AM

I’m sure everyone at FG is grateful to Julie and I’m also sure they’d rather have Lea do all 8 shows. I hope something good comes out of this for Julie but right now she’s just the carbon copy you read when you can’t find the original.

by Anonymousreply 477September 9, 2022 4:12 AM

D'OH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478September 9, 2022 4:26 AM

[quote]Dena (Mother Nature) Dietrich

We know her better as Dena (second Gloria Petrillo) Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 479September 9, 2022 4:51 AM

Lilian Roth was a gem. It's a shame her mental health derailed her young career.

by Anonymousreply 480September 9, 2022 5:03 AM

R476, Neither is Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 481September 9, 2022 5:09 AM

Roth is delightful in those early Paramount musicals. A terrific funny sexy talent. With a voice.

by Anonymousreply 482September 9, 2022 8:10 AM

You mean he'll have to work another week on it? I remember when he was doing "Lestat" it was said he wrote the whole score in two weeks, handed it in and walked away.

by Anonymousreply 483September 9, 2022 9:10 AM

I was at a FG preview pre-sleeves/shawl and the entire front row was smacked in the face by Bean's upper arm fat.

by Anonymousreply 484September 9, 2022 12:47 PM

The sleeves on Beanie’s curtain call caftan were very loose and when she raised her arms it wasn’t pretty. It’s not like the sleeves were really hiding anything.

by Anonymousreply 485September 9, 2022 1:01 PM

So if not Julie Benko then who is the tour Fanny Brice?

1). Krysta Rodriguez

2) Leslie Kritzer

3) Taylor Louderman

4) Laura Osnes (vaccine mandates are over and Republicans will probably take power in 2023 anyhow.

5) Lila Crawford

6) Leigh Ann Larkin

7) Betty Buckley (one last triumph)

by Anonymousreply 486September 9, 2022 1:26 PM

75-year-old Betty Buckley is the clear choice, although the humorless idiot soprano would also be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 487September 9, 2022 1:54 PM

R486, What about me?

by Anonymousreply 488September 9, 2022 2:13 PM

What’s nice about Betty Buckley in the part is we’ve had a fat Fanny, we’ve had an unknown Fanny, and now we’ve had a cunt Fanny. What we have yet to have is a Fanny who sings Cornet Man like someone who’s dentures don’t fit.

The train station scene would be electrifying especially for Betty “I don’t memorize lines, I memorize intentions” Buckley!

by Anonymousreply 489September 9, 2022 2:40 PM

The FG tour will look *just* like Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 490September 9, 2022 3:15 PM

[quote]I was at a FG preview pre-sleeves/shawl and the entire front row was smacked in the face by Bean's upper arm fat.

They should've marked off that section of the theater with something like the Splash Zone at Sea World.

by Anonymousreply 491September 9, 2022 3:25 PM

Noah Galvin as Fanny! And Ben Platt as Mrs. Brice! And they can alternate roles. Brooks Ashmanskas as Nick!

by Anonymousreply 492September 9, 2022 3:40 PM

The good thing about the FG tour is that it's already designed to load onto the back of a van!

by Anonymousreply 493September 9, 2022 4:21 PM

It looks like you could call an Uber.

by Anonymousreply 494September 9, 2022 4:45 PM

The FG tour will be Anna Gasteyer. Already signed.

by Anonymousreply 495September 9, 2022 5:30 PM

Ana Gasteyer stole Anna Gasteyer's career.

by Anonymousreply 496September 9, 2022 5:39 PM

[quote]4) Laura Osnes (vaccine mandates are over and Republicans will probably take power in 2023 anyhow.

You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 497September 9, 2022 6:29 PM

[quote] You know nothing.

Damn right! I would never play a filthy Jew!

by Anonymousreply 498September 9, 2022 6:41 PM

Ana Gastayer would make a wonderful Mrs. Brice. Her Fanny days are behind her.

by Anonymousreply 499September 9, 2022 6:53 PM

So is her fanny.

by Anonymousreply 500September 9, 2022 6:55 PM

Jenny Slate would make a great Fanny Brice

by Anonymousreply 501September 9, 2022 7:00 PM

Aurora Spiderwoman posted a clip of ICP singing Maria and...I know this is a reference that will go over the head of most posters in this thread, but he's acting like a NPC in a video game

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502September 9, 2022 7:22 PM

He sounds great. But yes, those hand gestures are robotically-studied "straight guy arm moves."

by Anonymousreply 503September 9, 2022 7:45 PM

Jenny Slate is funny and sure, she can sing. A little.

But I don't go to Bway shows (and pay Bway prices) to watch and listen to someone sing a little.

by Anonymousreply 504September 9, 2022 7:49 PM

Slightly OT but Jenny Slate is wonderful in a little movie called Obvious Child. If it ever pops up on cable it’s worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 505September 9, 2022 7:57 PM

R502 and R503, when I saw Isaac is WSS -- and I guess I'm one of relatively few people who did, because he was out for awhile with an injury, and then the show closed due to the pandemic -- I was impressed by the beauty of his singing voice but I thought his acting and gesturing were mannered, fake, and unintentionally funny.

by Anonymousreply 506September 9, 2022 8:20 PM

[quote] They should've marked off that section of the theater with something like the Splash Zone at Sea World.

When I first read this I thought you said 'Splash Zone at Sex World.' Which also worked.

by Anonymousreply 507September 9, 2022 8:23 PM

1776 at the Roundabout is scheduled to run from September 16 through January 8, yet it was just announced that Crystal Lucas-Perry, who's playing the leading role of John Adams, will be leaving on October 23 "for another project that is soon to be announced." Maybe she has a feeling that this production will be torn apart by the New York critics and will prove to be a disaster at the box office?

by Anonymousreply 508September 9, 2022 8:27 PM

r506 Him licking his lips after ones of the Marias was laugh out loud funny

by Anonymousreply 509September 9, 2022 8:31 PM

But his voice and interpretation are sublime.

by Anonymousreply 510September 9, 2022 8:34 PM

Uh oh. They took the sleeves off Benko’s curtain call dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511September 9, 2022 8:59 PM

r511 Haha, LOVE that!!! Wish they had done that while Beanster was still stinking up the stage!

by Anonymousreply 512September 9, 2022 9:08 PM

Isn't about time to stop talking about Beanie?

The jokes are not funny, repetitive and well past their sell-by date.

by Anonymousreply 513September 9, 2022 9:10 PM

r513 no, not at all. Beanie was in the news just yesterday about the change to the curtain dress and the whole backlash to Lea's dress. So I think it is hilarious that they also changed the sleeves on Julie's dress.

by Anonymousreply 514September 9, 2022 9:17 PM

You have a low threshold for humor.

by Anonymousreply 515September 9, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote]Surely you can think of something less unoriginal.

[quote]no, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 516September 9, 2022 9:19 PM

^ you must be a fat chick. I've known enough to know.

by Anonymousreply 517September 9, 2022 9:25 PM

Even Beanie’s pussy is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 518September 9, 2022 9:31 PM

The national tour of "Funny Girl" will be headline by Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young.

by Anonymousreply 519September 9, 2022 9:35 PM

*headlined

by Anonymousreply 520September 9, 2022 9:35 PM

Beanie was just cast in a movie so don’t feel too sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 521September 9, 2022 9:42 PM

r502

you beat me! His voice is great... the "acting"? well... he's not a great actor is he?

by Anonymousreply 522September 9, 2022 9:50 PM

I don't know why 1776 would get disastrous reviews in NYC...they received mostly positive/mixed reviews in Boston.

It's a limited run so no one is going to get too worked up. I supposed there is a slim chance it could be a hit and they'd want to extend but they're already committed to a tour so that's even very unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 523September 9, 2022 9:54 PM

The Boston reviews were respectful/mixed. The New York reviews will not have the respectful part. I saw it. It comes off as a gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 524September 9, 2022 10:23 PM

Would it be fair for Crystal to get a Tony nomination, r508?

by Anonymousreply 525September 9, 2022 10:32 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1975, a revival of "The Skin of Our Teeth" opened at the Mark Hellinger Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 526September 9, 2022 11:40 PM

I'm sure Liz was a divine Sabina, r526.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527September 9, 2022 11:50 PM

I think he took the Issac Powell acting class

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528September 10, 2022 12:32 AM

R528-Holy shit, that is painful to listen to. My dog ran out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 529September 10, 2022 12:38 AM

I adore you, R527.

by Anonymousreply 530September 10, 2022 12:40 AM

[quote]My dog ran out of the room

Mine killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 531September 10, 2022 12:41 AM

Well, r530, I think it's important to keep names like Gertrude Jeannette and Eda Seasongood in the public consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 532September 10, 2022 12:48 AM

R529 My dog, Mitzi Gaynor, ate her own head.

by Anonymousreply 533September 10, 2022 12:50 AM

Gertrude Jeannette:

[quote]In 1935 she became the first woman to get a license to drive a motorcycle in New York City, and she joined her husband's motorcycle club in the early 1940s. In 1942, she took and passed the cab driver's test and became the first female cab driver in New York City.

[quote]In 1949, she was present at the Peekskill Riots, when the Ku Klux Klan attempted to lynch Paul Robeson. Her husband worked as a bodyguard for Robeson, and during the riot, she and her husband rushed to the motorcycles to help get Robeson out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534September 10, 2022 12:54 AM

Is Noah hiding in his pants, squeezing his tiny balls?

by Anonymousreply 535September 10, 2022 12:55 AM

r527 Barry Livingston? As in ERNIE DOUGLAS?

by Anonymousreply 536September 10, 2022 1:01 AM

I was wondering that, r536. Liz looks awfully Estelle Winwood here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537September 10, 2022 1:15 AM

So, the big fucker from Hadestown is on Grindr right now and pretty open about being recognized as an actor on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 538September 10, 2022 1:21 AM

Eda Seasongood Field Zahl is DEAD to me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539September 10, 2022 1:26 AM

{R 528} if that bitch insists on singing, he needs to sing with his hands in his pockets.

Damn, does he think he’s Dusty or Aretha?

by Anonymousreply 540September 10, 2022 1:28 AM

Groff says Lea “became Bernadette Peters” in Funny Girl.

The faggotry was dialed up so high that even Marc Malkin looked uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541September 10, 2022 1:31 AM

R538 He probably has a name.

by Anonymousreply 542September 10, 2022 1:32 AM

[quote]His voice is great... the "acting"? well... he's not a great actor is he?

He was excellent in Once On This Island. His acting is fine with a good director, R522.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543September 10, 2022 1:36 AM

What the fuck does “became Bernadette Peters” even mean? To me that’s an insult. You became a kewpie doll with a lisp?

by Anonymousreply 544September 10, 2022 1:36 AM

I’ll give $10 to the person who can work “became Bernadette Peters” into the next theater gossip thread title.

by Anonymousreply 545September 10, 2022 1:39 AM

[quote]Isn't about time to stop talking about Beanie?

[quote]The jokes are not funny, repetitive and well past their sell-by date

Welcome to DL, where originality and genuine cleverness are DEAD TO ME.

by Anonymousreply 546September 10, 2022 1:40 AM

[quote]Damn, does he think he’s Dusty or Aretha?

Yes

by Anonymousreply 547September 10, 2022 1:41 AM

[quote]THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1975, a revival of "The Skin of Our Teeth" opened at the Mark Hellinger Theatre.

Co-starring Martha Scott, who created the role of Emily in Wilder's "Our Town" 37 years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 548September 10, 2022 1:48 AM

Groff didn't recognize Lea because she suddenly had class and grace? Believable.

by Anonymousreply 549September 10, 2022 1:48 AM

The whole Beanie disaster has been far more entertaining than anything on Broadway this year. It was a five-car pile up everyone but the “creatives” saw coming and our jokes are well justified. It’s a shitshow right up there with VOTD and Showgirls.

by Anonymousreply 550September 10, 2022 1:52 AM

R550 Watch your mouth, fairy prick.

by Anonymousreply 551September 10, 2022 2:12 AM

Remember, when ir was announced Beanie was originally cast, the reception wasnt even luke warm. That should have been the first red flag. And they were working the body image thing hard to justify it.

by Anonymousreply 552September 10, 2022 2:15 AM

Well, Lauren Ambrose proved she could sing Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 553September 10, 2022 2:16 AM

r552 here,,,,I meant to say that the reception wasnt even luke warm, in fact the comments were ravaging. And nobody paid attention. Ironically, it existed and ended just as most of us said it would...in fact, worse.

by Anonymousreply 554September 10, 2022 2:19 AM

There is just no accounting for taste these days and audiences under 35 are the worst.

But r554, you seem to be forgetting - for the first couple of months of Beanie's run she was getting ecstatic applause from the idiot audiences and the sold out show was pulling in well over a million a week. But once that audience was used up, the box office plummeted and the Emperor's new clothes were revealed.

I have no doubt Lea is doing a better job but the lame production is still the lame production. All bets on this one are off until November.

by Anonymousreply 555September 10, 2022 2:26 AM

Lea, Tovah and Ramin are all contracted to stay until June 2023.

by Anonymousreply 556September 10, 2022 2:33 AM

I wonder how Lea's nanny is doing.

by Anonymousreply 557September 10, 2022 2:38 AM

Okay, I'm one of the Lea haters who thinks she's an asshole who didn't deserve another shot...but one of the clips of I'm the Greatest Star came up on YT while I was listening to other things, and I'll admit...this is pretty good. I watched the Glee clip of this number and was unimpressed, but either she's gotten better, or it's easier when not watching her phony acting. Either way, this is better than I wanted to give her credit for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558September 10, 2022 2:48 AM

They need to make a cast recording with Lea.

by Anonymousreply 559September 10, 2022 2:54 AM

Lea DeLaria? That could be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 560September 10, 2022 2:55 AM

I worked with Ms. Seasongood many years ago. A fine performer, beautiful woman and gracious soul.

by Anonymousreply 561September 10, 2022 2:58 AM

Gertrude Jeannette's license...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562September 10, 2022 2:58 AM

She died in 2013, r561...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563September 10, 2022 3:00 AM

R528 Dear God, yep, same "arm acting" as Powell. It reads a butch, yet vulnerable to them.

That clip of overwrought, under-attractive Platt did worse that kill people's dogs. It killed the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 564September 10, 2022 3:02 AM

r538, this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565September 10, 2022 3:18 AM

Isaac may be giving "straight guy arm moves" but he's also giving hoochie hips about halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 566September 10, 2022 3:18 AM

[quote]So, the big fucker from Hadestown is on Grindr right now and pretty open about being recognized as an actor on Broadway.

I see one of the dancers in "Hamilton" on Grindr in my neighborhood quite frequently. Don't know his name.

by Anonymousreply 567September 10, 2022 3:19 AM

Better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568September 10, 2022 3:20 AM

Thats what made him stand out in Once upon this Island a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 569September 10, 2022 3:21 AM

Broadway’s ‘Between Riverside And Crazy’ Announces Cast: Stephen McKinley Henderson, Others Reprise Roles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570September 10, 2022 3:57 AM

[quote]Groff says Lea “became Bernadette Peters” in Funny Girl.

Oh dear. Wasn't she supposed to become Fanny Brice?

by Anonymousreply 571September 10, 2022 4:03 AM

When a play title includes the word 'fuck' in it or something otherwise obscene it usually means it's a desperate attempt for attention in an otherwise bad show and I wouldn't go near it. (And correctly history tells me.) When Guirgis's Motherfucker With The Hat was announced I was the same mind about that. But then I saw an extended clip of it with Chris Rock, not a montage of the play which can make anything look good even Moose Murders, and I was sold. Good play! Good playwright! Am looking forward to seeing Riverside/Crazy again.

by Anonymousreply 572September 10, 2022 5:23 AM

[Quote] (And correctly history tells me.)

You write pretty.

by Anonymousreply 573September 10, 2022 5:28 AM

The saga of Funny Girl cracks me up and it's just kind of weirdly wonderful--I particularly love the way the traditional casting is what's ended up working and the bitchy girl is the one coming in to save the day. It turns every self-serving fan-girl fantasy upside-down, no wonder fat-girl TikTok had a melt-down over the fricking sleeves. What an idea that the lead in a Broadway show should look and sound credible in the part.

Then there are the Twitter tantrums over Lea Michelle's refusing to stay cancelled and know her place.

By the way, have we ever heard why Lea said she'd shit in that actress's wig? After reading that extras thread a while ago, it seems to me that there are a ton of tacit on-set rules that are easy to break.

by Anonymousreply 574September 10, 2022 5:38 AM

I don't think Beanie's weight made her not credible as Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 575September 10, 2022 5:58 AM

I was never fat! Fuck you all!

by Anonymousreply 576September 10, 2022 6:10 AM

R575, All jokes in Funny Girl are about how skinny and flat-chested Fanny is. The actual Fanny Brice was quite elegant and svelte when not doing her comedy routines. Her most favorite bit was as Baby Snooks where she played a bratty child. Beanie's weight wasn't the same kind of issue her voice was--it's something that talent could overcome, but casting her was nontraditional for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 577September 10, 2022 6:11 AM

If Beanie had the voice to sing those songs properly, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Well, I'm sure there'd be some fat haters on here giving her shit but...isn't that always the case.

As the show is written and conceived, you need an actress with a strong voice, comedic timing and a lot of stage presence/charm/charisma/whatever you want to call it.

Beanie has comedic gifts but her voice isn't up to the role....and, she doesn't have enough charm to bluff her way through the weak voice.

Lea is only ok with comedy but she's got the stronger voice and she does have "star" charisma. Some might call it star cuntiness but it can substitute in a pinch.

by Anonymousreply 578September 10, 2022 6:31 AM

[quote]Groff says Lea “became Bernadette Peters” in Funny Girl.

By the end of the show she suddenly had big knockers?

by Anonymousreply 579September 10, 2022 6:44 AM

R578 Honey, she is selling tickets.

by Anonymousreply 580September 10, 2022 7:44 AM

Blacklisted actress Marsha Hunt, who appeared in a couple of Broadway productions, including "The Devil's Disciple," has died at age 104.

by Anonymousreply 581September 10, 2022 7:50 AM

I'm in London and on Tuesday, I saw the West End Production of & JULIET. Quite entertaining, well-staged, talented cast, loud, and extremely WOKE. I know this is transferring to Broadway, but I'm wondering if the US audience will accept all that wokeness.

Will this become the new RENT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582September 10, 2022 8:25 AM

R582 Is it any more woke than SIX or Hamilton? It seems like the SIX crowd will eat it up.

by Anonymousreply 583September 10, 2022 9:22 AM

"They need to make a cast recording with Lea."

Correction: They MUST to make a cast recording with Lea!

by Anonymousreply 584September 10, 2022 10:15 AM

R574 I love your post. Good analysis.

by Anonymousreply 585September 10, 2022 10:19 AM

[quote] They need to make a cast recording with Lea.

"Cast albums here! Get your cast albums here! Souvenir books! Sippy cups! Cast albums with actual singing!"

by Anonymousreply 586September 10, 2022 12:14 PM

You mean another flop R521? Beanie’s future in film is about as safe as Olivia Wilde’s right now.

by Anonymousreply 587September 10, 2022 12:54 PM

No she didn’t R553. She nearly had a Beanie sized disaster but managed to limp through a run that she frequently called out of and probably had as many absences as Beanie did but had better PR.

by Anonymousreply 588September 10, 2022 12:57 PM

It did.

Suspension of disbelief and all but really now? This was a real person.

How's about a wide Eva Peron?

by Anonymousreply 589September 10, 2022 1:01 PM

[Quote] By the way, have we ever heard why Lea said she'd shit in that actress's wig?

What exactly would be a good reason?

by Anonymousreply 590September 10, 2022 1:03 PM

Did they lower the keys for Lea in Funny Girl?

Hearing the clips of her sing, the songs seem to pose no difficulty but the notes don’t seem to go all that high. She talks through many of them because they’re pretty low actually

by Anonymousreply 591September 10, 2022 1:04 PM

Stop R591. You’re embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 592September 10, 2022 1:06 PM

I saw &Juliet and it was “woke” in that there were Black, gay, and trans story lines, I’m sure Bway audiences will be fine with it.

The whole show was a stupid jukebox musical—THAT’s what most will find stupid

by Anonymousreply 593September 10, 2022 1:06 PM

[quote]All jokes in Funny Girl are about how skinny and flat-chested Fanny is.

There are also at least two jokes, in the lyrics, about how Fanny has a big and/or oddly shaped nose. Beanie was miscast in that regard as well, but I'm sure both of those references were retained in the show when she was in it, even though there's nothing unusual or remarkable about her nose.

by Anonymousreply 594September 10, 2022 2:16 PM

Lol Isaac screaming Maria at 1:25 then simulating sex (?) is funny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595September 10, 2022 3:13 PM

I thought he was going to grab his junk around 2:23

by Anonymousreply 596September 10, 2022 3:27 PM

Crazy He Calls Me!

by Anonymousreply 597September 10, 2022 3:36 PM

New thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598September 10, 2022 3:37 PM

That Maria sure is tasty! Yum yum yum

by Anonymousreply 599September 10, 2022 3:40 PM

C

by Anonymousreply 600September 10, 2022 3:41 PM

U

by Anonymousreply 601September 10, 2022 3:41 PM

N

by Anonymousreply 602September 10, 2022 3:41 PM

T

by Anonymousreply 603September 10, 2022 3:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!