Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Room with a View (1985)

WOW. What a piece of cinema. I am already a huge fan of Merchant-Ivory productions, but this is definitely their crowning achievement.

Everything is absolutely perfect. From the opening aria "O mio babbino caro" sung by Kiri Te Kanawa to the beautiful costumes to the closing chamber music by the American composer, Richard Robbins.

Although Helena Bonham Carter is the leading lady of the picture, it is Maggie Smith's Cousin Charlotte that is the heart of the film.

The supporting cast is superb; Denholm Elliott and Julian Sands play lower-class tourists, Daniel Day-Lewis is the perfect antiquated English snob, Simon Callow makes a thankless role humorous, Rupert Graves is a cute younger brother, and Judi Dench, as always, does more with a role than it is written.

No one does E.M. Forster adaptations like James Ivory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2023 8:46 PM

No cock though

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2022 3:15 PM

Wasn’t this discussed ad nauseam recently during the DL James Ivory book launch party? You discuss this film now more than people did then OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2022 3:18 PM

R1 what are you talking about. That swimming scene has plenty of cock.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2022 3:27 PM

R2 Yeah. I posted that, but it was marked out so I edited and reposted.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2022 3:30 PM

I'm friends with someone who was a costume consultant for the film

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2022 3:44 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis and Maggie Smith are the best part of the movie

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2022 6:18 PM

HBC was already growing that mustache, getting ready for Planet in which she was typecast. Merchant-Ivory prods were popular but not now.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2022 6:23 PM

Don't miss the sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2022 6:32 PM

R8 That is funny. Also makes fun of Maurice

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2022 6:39 PM

This is Mary!est film review post that ever Mary!ed!

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2022 8:46 PM

Thread = dead

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2022 8:48 PM

Hot

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2022 8:59 PM

My favorite of all time.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2022 9:00 PM

Such a fun film. Light hearted. Elegant. Classic

by Anonymousreply 14January 2, 2023 6:39 PM

OP Have you ever seen The Remains of the Day (1993]?

An engaging and powerful motion picture, every bit the equal of Merchant Ivory's best work, and certainly the most emotionally wrenching tale they have brought to the screen. - Reel Views

by Anonymousreply 15January 2, 2023 6:45 PM

R15 Yes I have. I started this thread a few months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 2, 2023 6:48 PM

Was Daniel Day-Lewis supposed to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 17January 2, 2023 7:45 PM

Certainly seems that way R17. He certainly wasn't interested in Lucy Honeychurch's honeypot.

by Anonymousreply 18January 2, 2023 8:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!