Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Room with A View (1985)

WOW. What a piece of cinema. I am already a huge fan of Merchant-Ivory productions, but this is definitely their crowning achievement.

I read the book about a month ago and fell madly in love with the story. Forster has always been on my list, but I am just now getting the chance to read his work. This is a near perfect adaptation.

Everything is absolutely perfect. From the opening aria "O mio babbino caro" sung by Kiri Te Kanawa to the beautiful costumes to the closing chamber music by the American composer, Richard Robbins.

Although Helena Bonham Carter is the leading lady of the picture, it is Maggie Smith's Cousin Charlotte that is the heart of the film. The supporting cast is superb; Denholm Elliott and Julian Sands play lower-class tourists, Daniel Day-Lewis is the perfect antiquated English snob, Simon Callow makes a thankless role humorous, Rupert Graves is a cute younger brother, and Judi Dench, as always, does more with a role than it is written.

David Lean's A Passage to India came out the prior year, yet when people think of a Forster movie, A Room with a View comes to mind. I have even met some people who think "India" is a Merchant-Ivory production!

No one does E.M. Forster adaptations like the gays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 25, 2022 4:30 PM

She was in a muddle.

by Anonymousreply 1August 6, 2021 8:36 PM

R1 Who was? Lucy Honeychurch?

by Anonymousreply 2August 6, 2021 8:38 PM

Terror came over her, and she lied again. She made the long, convincing speech that she had made to Mr. Beebe, and intended to make to the world when she announced that her engagement was no more. He heard her in silence, and then said: "My dear, I am worried about you. It seems to me"--dreamily; she was not alarmed--"that you are in a muddle."

She shook her head.

"Take an old man's word; there's nothing worse than a muddle in all the world. It is easy to face Death and Fate, and the things that sound so dreadful. It is on my muddles that I look back with horror--on the things that I might have avoided. We can help one another but little. I used to think I could teach young people the whole of life, but I know better now, and all my teaching of George has come down to this: beware of muddle. Do you remember in that church, when you pretended to be annoyed with me and weren't? Do you remember before, when you refused the room with the view? Those were muddles--little, but ominous--and I am fearing that you are in one now." She was silent. "Don't trust me, Miss Honeychurch. Though life is very glorious, it is difficult." She was still silent. "'Life' wrote a friend of mine, 'is a public performance on the violin, in which you must learn the instrument as you go along.' I think he puts it well. Man has to pick up the use of his functions as he goes along--especially the function of Love." Then he burst out excitedly; "That's it; that's what I mean. You love George!" And after his long preamble, the three words burst against Lucy like waves from the open sea.

"But you do," he went on, not waiting for contradiction. "You love the boy body and soul, plainly, directly, as he loves you, and no other word expresses it. You won't marry the other man for his sake."

"How dare you!" gasped Lucy, with the roaring of waters in her ears. "Oh, how like a man!--I mean, to suppose that a woman is always thinking about a man."

"But you are."

by Anonymousreply 3August 6, 2021 8:44 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 6, 2021 8:45 PM

The screenplay is a bit different.

by Anonymousreply 5August 6, 2021 8:45 PM

Is this on Amazon Prime or Neyflix?

by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2021 8:47 PM

R6 I bought the Blu Ray on the Criterion Collection. But I have attached a special link ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2021 8:51 PM

I want to like the trailer at R4 and to want to see the movie, but I think it's really something to be enjoyed intramurally among the British, who seem to enjoy sending themselves up. Doesn't quite appeal to me.

It's funny to see Samuel West in it, who played Leonard Bast in "Howard's End."

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2021 8:52 PM

Daniel Day Lewis was the weak link. He thought he was in a Monty Python film.

by Anonymousreply 9August 6, 2021 8:55 PM

Still my favorite. Saw it when I was like 12 and became enamoured with Helena Bonham Carter, but over the years have grown to love the little nuances and all the actors and Puccini.

I should reread the book though. I read it around 12 too and probably missed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 10August 6, 2021 8:58 PM

R9 NOOOO. He was amazing in this. Cecil is so full of himself he is a joke. Day-Lewis was my second favorite performances, besides Mother-Fuckin' Maggi Smith.

by Anonymousreply 11August 6, 2021 8:58 PM

Come and have a bathe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 6, 2021 8:59 PM

I used to think Daniel Day Lewis was such a great actor, but, with some exceptions, he's always got that Meryl Streep "click-click-click" thing going on for me when I watch him now.

by Anonymousreply 13August 6, 2021 9:00 PM

The lovely Helena Bonham with her perfect little foxxy face and pre raphaelite hair is worth every minute of this sometimes twee little movie. Julian Sands is not too swoony. Later he would date Jodie Foster!

by Anonymousreply 14August 6, 2021 9:00 PM

Bonham Carter is the Sandy Dennis of British film. Always something a little off in her characters.

by Anonymousreply 15August 6, 2021 9:06 PM

I saw this when it came out and I saw My Beautiful Launderette right around the same time. What a lovely contrast for Daniel Day-Lewis

Both films were fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 16August 6, 2021 9:11 PM

Julian Sands and the Italian carriage driver are worth it.

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2021 9:12 PM

Helena had just finished Lady Jane and did not want to play another costume drama. Alas for her she had more to do! She saw herself as a rocker and punker and wanted contemporary, hard, sexually charged characters to play. She was great in Howard's End.

by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2021 9:22 PM

R18 The entire cast is extremely talented.

by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2021 9:35 PM

One of my favorite movies! And I still have the deluxe promotional calendar they handed out at the theater when I went to see it in '85. Julian Sands is September and he's gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 20August 6, 2021 11:31 PM

This movie literally changed my life. It was a late night movie and my family was in the sleep. I was a young teenager and when the movie was over I just cried and cried. I don’t know why, but I did. There was something in it, but I still don’t know what. I was like Cecyl Vyce a serious outsider, bullied at school. I decided not to live my life like that and decided to change and to be more like Freddy Honeychuch and George Emerson. And I did. I learnt to open and speak up and to be around people. Stupid to change your life after a movie? Maybe, but it is the truth.

by Anonymousreply 21August 6, 2021 11:44 PM

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 22August 6, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote]This movie literally changed my life.

This movie and "Maurice" were the first two times I saw a penis on screen.

So in a way this movie changed my life too.

by Anonymousreply 23August 6, 2021 11:58 PM

Judi Dench talks about a scene where her character goes mad in the town square. Apparently, she filmed some of it, but it was scrapped because HBC wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to film her part. For anyone who has read the book, why does her character go mad in the town square?

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2021 12:12 AM

Daniel Day Lewis must be the luckiest person ever. This movie and “My Beautiful Launderette” opened on the same day. He was able to display his versatility to critics immediately. Roger Ebert creamed his panties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2021 12:22 AM

Tossing those bloody postal cards in the Arno was heartbreaking, the end of innocence.

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2021 12:24 AM

A view of WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2021 12:27 AM

It really was a magical film. It gave me the feels.

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2021 1:01 AM

Cecyl Vyce is SUCH a closet case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2021 1:06 AM

I just reread Kevin Kwan (Crazy Rich Asians) version of the book: Sex and Vanity. Light amusing stuff.

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2021 1:16 AM

Sheshil! A dapper man!

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] Julian Sands is September and he's gorgeous!

I'm surprised you were able to walk in October!

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2021 2:15 AM

Very romantic. DDL is funny as the uptight Cecil. Still handsome in his nerd costume.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2021 2:27 AM

This movie played at our local cinema for more than a year when it was first released. So many repeat moviegoers enjoying floppy hair and cocks, but I was happy to watch it multiple times!

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2021 4:29 AM

We stayed in the room a few years ago- yes we over paid & it was a splurge, but we love the movie. It's a fabulous hotel & the view was wonderful, everything was perfect- we'd do it again & again......

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2021 5:15 AM

Found A Passage to India and Maurice superior to A Room with a View. Though the same theme underlines all of these movies (and the books they are based in), British tourists always lose their minds, and ruin other peoples' lives.

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2021 5:35 AM

R36 like American tourists

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2021 6:01 AM

if you're into Merchant-Ivory, "Surviving Picasso" is a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2021 6:04 AM

It changed my life, too, though not as dramatically as R21. I grew up in crappy, low-class nowheresville and the whole movie was a glimpse of beauty and a different life (Mary!): the titles, the Puccini, the homes, Italy, the romanticism ....

And god bless James Ivory for turning his male gaze on the gorgeous Julian Sands frolicking nude in the pond like a young god.

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2021 6:32 AM

[quote] why does her character go mad in the town square? Her character was a daffy, emotional woman. She was given the silly name of Miss Lavish.

Forster gave all the characters names which symbolise something of other.

by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2021 7:01 AM

Julian Sands and Daniel Day-Lewis are at peak hotness in this film—it's worth watching for that alone (among numerous other reasons). They are both so handsome in this, it's almost painful to look at them.

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2021 7:27 AM

R39, I feel the same. Living in a small town with not much going on, it made a huge impression. Even the damn font for the movie/poster was beautiful.

My mother got a bunch of flack from her co-workers for letting me watch the movie though. Apparently, innocent frolicking penises are the devil, but my mom was cool that way, which I'm very thankful for.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2021 7:28 AM

Nice movie, but I also prefer Maurice.

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2021 7:30 AM

The full frontal male nudity in this film is so sweet and innocent and yet it gave so much incessant young gay boners. I wonder how the actors felt about it, then and now. A wonderful film, even if not the very best of all involved. Does it have to be? A wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2021 7:48 AM

h b carter ruins ev movie she in....vanilla, zzzzz, ugh

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2021 7:57 AM

Bonham Carter is never less than good and is usually great.

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2021 8:03 AM

Mediocre at best.

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2021 8:24 AM

[quote] I wonder how the actors felt about it, then and now

There are interviews on YouTube where middle-aged Julian and James discuss how their younger selves prepared and coped with exposing their younger bodies.

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2021 8:48 AM

I love this movie and Howards End. Always will.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2021 12:34 PM

R49 - The Remains of the Day is pretty good too.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2021 12:54 PM

One of my top 5 favorite movies. "Do not think me rude, we residents sometimes pity you poor tourists not a little!" That word play always stuck with me and I use it all the time. I also love Eleanor Lavish's "And I divine yet, Charlotte, you had an adventure there.....vain to deny it!" Just prior to that, Maggie Smith closing her eyes after stating she spent a summer at the home of her friend Miss Apesbury seemed to be a clear admission that she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2021 1:59 PM

Because of this movie I never venture forth without my Macintosh Squares!

by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2021 2:04 PM

Another filmed version of a Forster story is Where Angels Fear to Tread, which also has HBC and Rupert Graves, as well as Judy Davis playing a nasty bitch and Helen Mirren a young and blossoming heroine.

The film is flawed (largely because the Italian actor at the center of it really weak, although he's pleasant to look at), but it's yet another example of the cold, oppressive, judgemental and oh-so-proper British ruining the lives of others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2021 2:20 PM

How did Helen Mirren play a young and blossoming heroine?

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2021 2:23 PM

A perfect jewel-box of a movie.

Why did the lovely Julian Sands's career go down the shitter? I recently rented a movie he was in just a few years after Room With a View, called Warlock—it stunk!

by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2021 2:39 PM

R54 - At that stage of Helen Mirren's career, I have the exact same question.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2021 3:02 PM

She was already in middle age R56. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2021 3:03 PM

Young and blossoming?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2021 3:17 PM

Didn’t Julian Sands make a rather homophobic comment when it was thought he may play Maurice? I think James Wilbur did a great job. Has anyone mentioned Rupert Graves in Room with a View. So hot.

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2021 3:32 PM

[quote] Has anyone mentioned Rupert Graves in Room with a View. So hot.

Rupert Graves is one of the few Brits that has remained sexy as he aged.

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2021 4:04 PM

As I often post when Rupert is mentioned, Graves always said he was straight and then a few years ago he admitted he had had gay relationships in school and college.

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2021 4:17 PM

Where Angels Fear to Tread has a wonderful scene in an Italian opera house where Rupert gets pulled up from the orchestra to a box filled with gorgeous Italian men. Rupert plays a repressed gay man and I think it's obvious he is in love with the Italian guy and possibly had sex with him.... Helena Bohnam-Carter is in this one too.

by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2021 4:22 PM

Nice piece with some commentary by Helena, Simon, and Julian.

According to Julian, the investors threatened to walk unless his and Helena’s roles were recast with John Travolta and Glenn Close! Imagine? What a train wreck that would have been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote]John Travolta and Glenn Close!

LOL, surely he was joking. If that is true it just shows how out of touch people in the business are. John Travolta and Glenn Close playing what parts?

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Julian Sand was never more attractive then in this film.

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2021 4:55 PM

Not James Wilbur, James Wilby.

by Anonymousreply 66August 7, 2021 5:20 PM

According to the video in R63, they were promised in the bathing scene that nothing would be shot below the waist.

That seems like a gross violation of trust.

by Anonymousreply 67August 7, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote]they were promised in the bathing scene that nothing would be shot below the waist.

Then why weren't they provided with underwear or a jockstrap? If you are asked to appear on set naked, then you're going to be filmed naked.

Take a lesson from DL fave Miss Olivia de Havilland. She had that scene in "Gone With The Wind" where she takes off her nightgown. Even though she knew she wasn't going to be filmed naked, she didn't want the camera crew getting an eye full. So she wore clothing underneath the nightgown.

by Anonymousreply 68August 7, 2021 5:45 PM

Like anyone would be fapping to Olivia de Havilland.

by Anonymousreply 69August 7, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote]Then why weren't they provided with underwear or a jockstrap? If you are asked to appear on set naked, then you're going to be filmed naked.

You don't wear something with a waistband because it will keep popping into the scene.

You can suggest nudity without showing dick, but not if you can't slip below the navel or have underwear showing.

They could have worn cock-socks.

by Anonymousreply 70August 7, 2021 6:01 PM

Daniel Day Lewis pretty much ruins this.

by Anonymousreply 71August 7, 2021 6:02 PM

[quote]According to Julian, the investors threatened to walk unless his and Helena’s roles were recast with John Travolta and Glenn Close! Imagine? What a train wreck that would have been.

At least it wasn't Travolta and Lily Tomlin.

by Anonymousreply 72August 7, 2021 6:03 PM

R60 - I love Rupert Graves in Sherlock and Last Tango in Halifax.

by Anonymousreply 73August 7, 2021 6:06 PM

I heard Helena (or maybe most of the younger cast) really didn't get along with Maggie Smith. Any stories?

by Anonymousreply 74August 7, 2021 6:07 PM

The nude scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 7, 2021 6:09 PM

I remember the music the most, and also the scene where the gorgeous Italian carriage driver is forced to leave his girlfriend behind.

by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2021 6:12 PM

I loved the penises in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 77August 7, 2021 6:15 PM

That Italian was fucking gorgeous. Did he ever do anything in Italy after this?

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2021 6:21 PM

According to IMDB, the Italian was Luca Rossi, and he was only in a couple of other movies, besides appearing on the April 23, 2018 episode of The Today Show.

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2021 8:02 PM

The Today Show?

by Anonymousreply 80August 7, 2021 8:06 PM

Such a classy film

by Anonymousreply 81August 7, 2021 8:10 PM

Exactly what was the Honeychurch taint that Cecil's mother spoke of? What was wrong with them?

by Anonymousreply 82August 7, 2021 8:12 PM

BBC did an okay remake about 15 years ago. The cast was not too shabby (Tim and Rafe Spall as the Emersons, Sophie Thompson as Charlotte, Laurence Fox as Cecil), but overall it seemed pointless. And the Lucy was way less snotty and sullen than HBC.

It's streaming on Kanopy and Hoopla, if anyone's interested.

by Anonymousreply 83August 7, 2021 8:32 PM

My neighbor at the time asked me to accompany her to this movie since her husband had no interest in seeing it. At one point during the movie she whispered to me "I'm so jealous of Lucy's hair". I whispered back "It's a wig" to make her feel better. Was it a wig or Helena's real hair?

by Anonymousreply 84August 7, 2021 8:35 PM

R53 Where Angels Fear to Tread is the bit of scandalous gossip Judy Dench is relaying to Maggie Smith in A Room With a View:

Charlotte: "And did she really marry this young man?"

Mrs. Lavish: "Yes. An Italian -- TEN years her junior!"

Charlotte: "*gasp* -- Eleanor!"

[quote]And Helen Mirren as a young and blossoming heroine"

I'd say in this she's more of a late-bloomer.

by Anonymousreply 85August 7, 2021 8:39 PM

r83 Was there any nudity in that version?

by Anonymousreply 86August 7, 2021 10:09 PM

R86 To be honest, the production was so forgettable that I don't even remember (and I only watched it maybe 4 months ago)! Probably bare ass in the swimming scene, but definitely no "flopping".

by Anonymousreply 87August 7, 2021 10:17 PM

Ivory on Dame Judith:

He fell out with Dame Judi Dench, after advising her to turn her A Room with a View character, Eleanor Lavish, Scottish. “I think she thought, ‘How dare this American tell me anything about accents.’ She told me my idea was all wrong, impossible. I felt she was a little too ‘on’ during that film. It was a little hard to tone her down and I couldn’t tone her down.”

The final straw came when Ivory cut one of Dame Judi’s scenes from the final film. “She never forgave me or wanted to speak to me again, or have anything to do with me. I once went backstage to see Maggie [Smith] in Lettice and Lovage in the West End. They were sitting there together backstage. I said, ‘Oh hi Maggie, how are you?’ and Judi was so cold.”

by Anonymousreply 88August 7, 2021 10:25 PM

At least no Alec Guinness in brown face in this one...

by Anonymousreply 89August 7, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote] Exactly what was the Honeychurch taint that Cecil's mother spoke of? What was wrong with them?

I think she glimpsed Freddy Honeychurch's taint in the bathing scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 7, 2021 10:27 PM

I had no idea Ivory was American.

by Anonymousreply 91August 7, 2021 10:28 PM

Same here, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92August 7, 2021 10:33 PM

Helena Bonham Carter is nothing like that crazy stuttering cat lady Sandy Dennis. Helena is rock n roll. She's not a delicate girl. Ha.

Everyone should see her in Margaret's Museum. It's stunning high wire work she delivers. A very good film too. Powerful and dark, mad romance. heartbreaking.

On one of the HR roundtables, Helena had all the ladies crying with laughter, even the reserved Nicole Kidman and Annette Bening.

Helena was the first choice for Breaking The Waves and she's very insightful on why she decided to drop out of that film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2021 10:46 PM

One of my favorite books and films, OP. E.M. Forster possessed a gentle and disarming way of exploring class, British imperialism, gender norms, homophobia, and other social ills in his novels, without being preachy and sanctimonious. His stories gently pokes fun at the very people who benefit from classism, sexism, and homophobia by helping them to see themselves in the characters. Forster wrote his characters compassionately but did not spare them the truth of their character. Lucy is lovely, but a snob who almost loses her chance at love because of it. Even the ex-pat British residents of Florence, despite making good points about annoying British tourists, are just as annoying as the British tourists, since they think they are above Italians. Yet still, their dignity and full humanity is intact.

This film adaptation is superb because it honors Forster's approach. A lot of significant points are being made in the film, in an easily digestible form - like a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. At the same time, you can just ignore that if you want, watch the film superficially and still derive so much pleasure from viewing it. A truly superb film.

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote]Exactly what was the Honeychurch taint that Cecil's mother spoke of? What was wrong with them?

The Honeychurch family is (upper) middle class. It may also have had to do with [italic]how[/italic] they got their money (trade? I don't remember if it's mentioned.)

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]Judi Dench talks about a scene where her character goes mad in the town square. Apparently, she filmed some of it, but it was scrapped because HBC wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to film her part. For anyone who has read the book, why does her character go mad in the town square?

There isn't such a scene in the novel.

Dench gives her side of the story below, and in the video at the link Maggie Smith teases her about going on forever about the "very short" scene not making the final cut.

[in 1994, when asked why A Room with a View (1985) was such a success] I've never seen it, so I don't know. Florence was lovely, of course, and it's a wonderful love story. I did enjoy doing the part, because Maggie Smith and I were old friends from 1958. We both arrived in Florence on the same day and neither of us had any family with us, so we would spend all day together filming and then go out to dinner together, catching up on our Old Vic days. But I didn't enjoy working with James Ivory. I didn't feel that I was on his wavelength and I didn't feel that he wanted me in the film, I have to say that. I remember doing that scene in the middle of the square where she goes mad and attacks the man selling postcards; James went to see the rushes and told me afterwards that everyone had laughed at it, they'd thought it was very funny. "Well done", he said to me. I thought perhaps we'd turned the corner but, when I came to post-sync the film, that scene was missing. When I asked why, he told me that Helena Bonham Carter hadn't been feeling up to it that day, so he'd cut the whole sequence. I don't know if that was the real reason he cut it - I just don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2021 11:40 PM

[quote] Judi was so cold.

Which is weird because at the time of this movie, Judi was just a working actress. Nobody outside of the UK knew who she was.

by Anonymousreply 97August 7, 2021 11:42 PM

Loved the book.

by Anonymousreply 98August 7, 2021 11:59 PM

Who is this Old Vic, someone they were both fucking?

by Anonymousreply 99August 8, 2021 12:07 AM

When I saw it for the first time in '85, I had actually gone to our rep theater to see "Boudu sauvé des eaux" (1932) with Michel Simon. I was very surprised to see a long line at the box office, only to find out it had been preempted by "A Room with a View", which was held over. I was so upset, because I hadn't heard about this one and I was looking forward to my old French film. Someone in line asked me what I had come to seen (I was grumbling at the ticket guy) and I said "Boudu Saved from Drowning" and he looked at me like I was crazy. And then of course I loved "A Room with a View" immensely. And I finally got to see Boudu years later.

by Anonymousreply 100August 8, 2021 12:36 AM

R74 I know you Americans love gossip and think it tremendously funny when elderly British women behave like caricatures to feed your appetite.

But I have to tell it's a different culture. And elderly British women think and behave differently to you.

If you need to see a video that will make you cringe watch that awful interview rom 20 years or so ago when Maggie Smith was forced to publicise some project on American TV. She was pestered by some man named Charlie somebody who was begging for some titillating gossip to please his American viewers.

And thankfully she refused to play his game. But still it was an agonising performance.

by Anonymousreply 101August 8, 2021 12:54 AM

I agree with you R101. But Judi Dench is a different story. She's more like Sharon Osbourne than Maggie Smith. Dench is a most inauthentic public character.

by Anonymousreply 102August 8, 2021 1:10 AM

I loved Dame Judi Dench in the TV series Cranford and the film Mrs. Brown.

by Anonymousreply 103August 8, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote] David Lean's A Passage to India came out the prior year, yet when people think of a Forster movie, A Room with a View comes to mind.

We do?

Thanks for speaking for all of us!

by Anonymousreply 104August 8, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] [R74] I know you Americans love gossip and think it tremendously funny when elderly British women behave like caricatures to feed your appetite.

We do?

Thanks for speaking for all of us!

This really is the thread of self-appointed spokespeople.

by Anonymousreply 105August 8, 2021 2:11 AM

They weren't that elderly at the time. Charlie Rose was a terrible interviewer--leading questions, talking over people, overcontrolled hostility and that grating North Carolina accent. I don't know why he was so popular.

by Anonymousreply 106August 8, 2021 2:44 AM

I remember the nude scene, but not a whole lot else. I was interested to see what this Judi Dench person looked like. The only thing I knew about her was that she was the London Sally Bowles. I thought she'd gotten rather portly and couldn't imagine her in the role.

by Anonymousreply 107August 8, 2021 2:48 AM

Off topic, but R106 I recently tried to watch some Charlie Rose interviews and wondered the same thing. My theory is that people liked the long-form interviews (so different to the late-night talk show or press junket interviews).

Now we have podcasts to cater to that, but then it was rare.

by Anonymousreply 108August 8, 2021 9:20 AM

I recently watched Tea with the Dames (British title "Nothing Like a Dame") on Hulu, and Judi Dench came across as remarkably thin-skinned, even for an actress. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't her sole quality. She was generally pleasant. But she seemed very sensitive and quick to take things personally. It was surprising to me because she is so revered in the US, yet she seems to have little self-confidence.

by Anonymousreply 109August 8, 2021 9:27 AM

Mrs. Vyse referenced the Honeychurch taint because Lucy was always asking cook how the pudding was made. Apparently Mrs. Vyse thought such interest was low class.

by Anonymousreply 110August 8, 2021 10:57 AM

R99 Old Vic is one of the most famous and respected theatres in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 8, 2021 11:12 AM

Judi and Maggie on stage is everything. Seen them both, not together, and they are made for the stage. Seen HBC, too, and she has always been terrific.

by Anonymousreply 112August 8, 2021 11:14 AM

I remember seeing Maurice when it first came out on video—it never played in my little college town—and wishing Julian Sands had been the lead. I still think it would have been hot to see Sands and Graves in a love scene, but I’ve come to appreciate Wilby’s performance, even though he’s not as beautiful as Sands.

And yes, Graves could still get it.

by Anonymousreply 113August 8, 2021 2:02 PM

Just want to urge those who have not seen it to have a look at WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD, also based on a gorgeous Forster novel and with the usual suspects in all the roles. It's the finest film Merchant and Ivory never made.

by Anonymousreply 114August 8, 2021 2:27 PM

This thread inspired me to watch Room with a View last night. Hadn’t seen it in close to 20 years. It really is charming and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 115August 8, 2021 3:21 PM

Surprise - where Angels Fear to Tread was not a Merchant-Ivory film...

by Anonymousreply 116August 8, 2021 3:32 PM

R114 said that already, R16

Sheesh

Mother says I always get peevish when I play Beethoven

by Anonymousreply 117August 8, 2021 4:11 PM

R116, not R16

by Anonymousreply 118August 8, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote]Because of this movie I never venture forth without my Macintosh Squares!

Observe R52's foresight!

by Anonymousreply 119August 8, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote]Lucy was way less snotty and sullen than HBC.

R83 Yes, HBC played all her roles during that era in the same tedious and unvarying way which is why I FF over her parts when I re-watch those films.

OTOH Rupert Graves has really stood the test of time. He's fresh and interesting to watch in every role and at every age. He's also very frank and open about his life and his sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 120August 8, 2021 5:47 PM

I love the film. It's stood the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 121August 8, 2021 5:51 PM

Mr Julian Sands made me wet then and he still does it now.

by Anonymousreply 122August 8, 2021 5:54 PM

The Europeans (1979), Heat and Dust (1983), and The Bostonians (1984) are on Tubi (free app). Are these films any good? I wanna have a Merchant Ivory film fest. I recently (re)watched Maurice (1987) on Tubi. LOVE!

by Anonymousreply 123August 8, 2021 6:14 PM

I'm kind of curious why Sands didn't have a bigger career. How does he make a living now?

by Anonymousreply 124August 8, 2021 6:19 PM

R124 - actually, I saw an advertisement in the Phoenix newspaper for Julian Sands having a "reading" of Shakespeare or something. I should have gone, I doubt there would have been many people there and I could have probably met him. This was just two years ago or so.

by Anonymousreply 125August 8, 2021 6:32 PM

This and "My Beautiful Laundrette" were released within weeks of each other, and because Daniel Day-Lewis played such radically different parts in the two films, he immediately acquired a reputation as being the most versatile young actor of the day.

It's funny, though, because though I think he's terrific in MBL, I thought DDL was too much of a caricature in this. He and HBC both overplay their parts here, but everyone else is splendid.

Denholm Elliott's and Julian Sands's characters would make more sense according to the logic of Forster's narrative, though, if they had more recognizably non-posh accents, however. That's the only thing I liked about the later TV miniseries adaptation: it made it much clearer by giving them non-posh accents why Lucy would feel initially George was unacceptable as a suitor, and why the rest of the tourists in Florence would be so snobbish towards Mr. Emerson.

by Anonymousreply 126August 8, 2021 6:51 PM

R126, yes, because I totally missed that in the movie. I couldn't figure out why everyone was so lukewarm to the Emerson's. I had no idea they were what? Middle class or lower middle class? The Horror!

by Anonymousreply 127August 8, 2021 6:54 PM

That's the whole point of the movie, r127. And Forster's novel.

by Anonymousreply 128August 8, 2021 7:22 PM

Never read the novel but I did puzzle. I thought it was just because they were unconventional.

by Anonymousreply 129August 8, 2021 7:27 PM

The Emersons are middle middle-class, but come from even lower origins.

The Honeychurchs are from the landed gentry, as are the Vyses.

by Anonymousreply 130August 8, 2021 7:32 PM

Being American, I don't really get the class system of England at the time.

by Anonymousreply 131August 8, 2021 7:34 PM

No one seemed that much richer or poorer than anyone else. But that may be because it is hard to read economic issues into period clothing. It all looks rich to us.

by Anonymousreply 132August 8, 2021 7:44 PM

The "poor" people all seemed to still have fairly decent houses and servants. Even the Dashwood's in Sense and Sensibility kept a servant or two when they went to living in the cottage, which seems quite quaint and cute to me. Same with the March family in Little Women. I don't call that poor.

by Anonymousreply 133August 8, 2021 7:48 PM

America had a class system too. They called them slaves.

by Anonymousreply 134August 8, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote] America had a class system too. They called them slaves.

Thanks for the woke reminder, Roxane; but slavery had ended in the USA 35 years prior to when this novel was both written and set.

by Anonymousreply 135August 8, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] Thanks for the woke reminder, Roxane; but slavery had ended in the USA 35 years prior to when this novel was both written and set.

Not the Roxane you're referring to, but the racist US "class" mindset didn't just vanish the moment slavery was abolished. In its updated form, it still exists in the US.

Of course, for some, US racism and British class snobbery can't be compared for various reasons.

by Anonymousreply 136August 8, 2021 9:25 PM

I never said we didn't have A class system but it was different from the Brits. You fucking trolls are exhausting in your zeal to find shit to be offended and shriek faux outrage at.

by Anonymousreply 137August 8, 2021 9:32 PM

The social differences between the Emersons and the other families are pretty obvious.

by Anonymousreply 138August 8, 2021 9:34 PM

I don't see it R138. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 139August 8, 2021 9:38 PM

Naked men!

by Anonymousreply 140August 8, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote] You fucking trolls are exhausting in your zeal to find shit to be offended and shriek faux outrage at.

Please, do not grab your toys and leave like a petulant child. The thread would suffer so terribly if you leave!

by Anonymousreply 141August 8, 2021 9:40 PM

Who said anything like that R141? They are just full of shit and trying to perpetually be outraged at everything. They're ridiculous. If they start spouting racist bs or being really annoying I may block but as of now they are just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 142August 8, 2021 9:49 PM

r124, Julian Sands married an heiress as his second wife, the daughter of Lady Caroline Blackwood. He doesn't need to earn a living now.

by Anonymousreply 143August 8, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote] I'm kind of curious why Sands didn't have a bigger career

R125 I thought Julian Sands was almost as attractive as the character of George Emerson that he played.

But Sands has a long pointy nose and a strange grimace as he struggles to get words out of his mouth.

He was not conventionally attractive physically and he must be less so now that he's middle aged and wrinkly.

by Anonymousreply 144August 8, 2021 9:54 PM

He was more sexy than pretty R144.

by Anonymousreply 145August 8, 2021 9:56 PM

R146, he's a TWAT.

by Anonymousreply 146August 8, 2021 9:58 PM

In the novel, Mr. Emerson's socialism (as well as his class, atheism, and the invented scandal associated with his wife's death) raised eyebrows. I don't think his politics are mentioned in the film.

by Anonymousreply 147August 8, 2021 10:01 PM

The film tells us that the father and son are free-thinkers. Do you remember that odd situation at the dinner table with George arranging his meat on the plate into a question mark? .

EM Forster named the Emersons after the American homosexual. I knew about about RW Emerson so I fully expected George Emerson to appear naked in the wheat field— just like Rupert Birkin surprised us naked in the bracken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 8, 2021 10:16 PM

Just from being a reader of older English novels and watching PBS/BBC stuff, the British class system seems to stem from how money is made too. After the Industial Revolution, there seemed to a distinction between the merchant/clerk class versus old money/gentry/aristocratic class.

This isn't all of it and I'm definitely not an expert on British class, but the Emersons, although not poor, were not as polished as the Honeychurches and had income through trade jobs.

by Anonymousreply 149August 8, 2021 10:24 PM

We aren't told what the Emersons trade jobs were?

by Anonymousreply 150August 8, 2021 10:29 PM

R148, Emerson was NOT a homo!

by Anonymousreply 151August 8, 2021 10:30 PM

In the book Mr. Emerson is a retired journalist. His father (George's grandfather) was a laborer.

by Anonymousreply 152August 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Mr. Emerson said 'Always distrust a new venture that requires new clothes'.

Young George said we should take our clothes off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 8, 2021 10:42 PM

Julian Sands was in love with Jodie Foster. They dated and he fathered her children. Then she decided to try being gay and lives now with one of Ellen's exes. So it all worked out.

by Anonymousreply 154August 8, 2021 10:50 PM

The Emersons = Freethinkers

Miss Honeychurch = traditional virginal vagina

Mr Beebe = a booby

Charlotte Bartlett = a name with closed syllables and hard letters

Miss Lavish = a silly extravagant woman

Cecil Vyse = a man made narrow minded by being placed in vice

by Anonymousreply 155August 8, 2021 10:50 PM

Mr Beebe = a booby

And Simon Callow found the role he was born to play.

by Anonymousreply 156August 8, 2021 10:55 PM

Thank you, Brits for clarifying the class structure. I think the overarching theme is "love conquers all." But if we need course notes, here they are, in part...

[quote]Lucy Honeychurch is a well-to-do young woman who has been brought up in a well-mannered, conservative social bubble in the country. A trip to Italy opens her eyes to the wider world, and she begins to question her ideas about class and equality.

[quote]George Emerson is a modern, philosophical young man who has been raised by his free-thinking father. He believes in equality for men and women, and cares more about a person's nature than their social status.

[quote]Mr. Emerson is a smart, free-thinker from a working-class background. He raises George to think independently and take risks, rather than mindlessly obey the dictates of society.

[quote]Charlotte Bartlett, genteel but poor, serves as chaperone to her cousin Lucy in Italy. She is rigid and proper when it comes to behavior, following the dictates of society strictly. She does not care for the Emersons, who defy social conventions, and she actively seeks to keep Lucy and George apart.

[quote]Mrs. Marian Honeychurch has lived a fortunate life, indeed. She married a lawyer who built a lovely rural estate, where his family was gradually adopted by higher society as wealthy Londoners who've moved to the country. Her personality is appropriately jolly and contented for a woman who has lived such a life.

[quote]Cecil Vyse, a handsome, upper-crust young man, has a greater understanding of books and art than of people. He believes himself above the people of Lucy's social circle, whom he views as country bumpkins. Cecil is rude to them, makes fun of them, and plays mean tricks on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 8, 2021 10:56 PM

R139, I rewatched the film within the last year and was struck by how socially inappropriate and off-putting both the Emersons were. George was morose and hardly ever spoke, and Mr. Emerson was preachy and asked intrusive and challenging questions of (or made observations of that nature to) strangers. They still came off as decent and interesting people, especially the father, but it was easy to see how scandalized the other people in the pension, who were "carefully brought up," would have been.

by Anonymousreply 158August 8, 2021 11:07 PM

R154 Jodie Foster's baby daddy is most likely her Contact co-star and close friend, James Woods, who also shares her conservative views.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 8, 2021 11:09 PM

You're right, R85. And I believe that story was semi-based on Margaret Fuller, who married an Italian and later died of disease or childbirth. I'm not googling, just riffing from memory.

by Anonymousreply 160August 8, 2021 11:12 PM

I'm so sick of Judy Dench--she always seems peevish and pissed off that her fame didn't come until she was old.

by Anonymousreply 161August 8, 2021 11:13 PM

The Emersons were weird outcasts in that awful Charlotte Bartlett milieu.

There scene with with Puccini and Kiri te Kanawa soaring over the sunny landscape was obviously setting us up for a big reveal.

And as I mentioned earlier I expected freethinking George to be revealed naked in the field.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 8, 2021 11:16 PM

The Vyses ere the wealthiest of the bunch. If I remember correctly, Cecil was a lawyer by education, but did not have to work. His line, "I believe a proper gentleman can do however he pleases as long as he is no bother to anyone" is about his work and leisurely activities.

He tolerates Lucy Honeychurch because her father left a good name. They had money, but not Cecil Vyse money. She always was better at social gathering than he was. In the novel, he wanted her to play Beethoven and she played Chopin, as it fit the mood better.

Charlotte had a past of her own. She had an opportunity to marry a George Emerson-type but was scared. Ergo, she is an old maid. Remember, at the end of the novel it is revealed she purposely told Miss Lavish about George and Lucy and she talked with Mr. Emerson.

by Anonymousreply 163August 8, 2021 11:21 PM

Dear R161 You need to—

1. Understand that accomplished British Shakespeareans aren't interested in your idle fancies.

2. Learn not to misspell her name.

by Anonymousreply 164August 8, 2021 11:26 PM

[quote] Remember, at the end of the novel it is revealed she purposely told Miss Lavish about George and Lucy and she talked with Mr. Emerson.

That's one of the intricate plotting devices we romance-seekers didn't bother to understand.

And it's one of the intricate plotting devices that Forster didn't bother with in the sloppily-constructed 'Maurice' because he demanded that it should NOT be published.

by Anonymousreply 165August 8, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote]Cecil was a lawyer by education, but did not have to work. His line, "I believe a proper gentleman can do however he pleases as long as he is no bother to anyone" is about his work and leisurely activities.

So was the homosexual subtext entirely DDL's and/or Merchant-Ivory's creation or is that to be found between the lines of Forster's work?

by Anonymousreply 166August 8, 2021 11:37 PM

Does Cecil have a homosexual subtext? I thought he was just English.

by Anonymousreply 167August 8, 2021 11:40 PM

DDL plays everything as a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 168August 8, 2021 11:43 PM

R166, R167, R168 I took it as a very very very wry character development that Cecil is asexual.

by Anonymousreply 169August 8, 2021 11:45 PM

He comes off as an effeminite caricature who appears more avuncular than romantic toward Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 170August 8, 2021 11:46 PM

Yes, but is Cecil's subtext in Forster's novella?

by Anonymousreply 171August 8, 2021 11:48 PM

The word 'gentleman' appears 7 times. 'Bother' and 'proper' appears 15 times. 'Nude' once.

It is silent on Cecil's supposed 'homosexual philandering'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 8, 2021 11:58 PM

Still holds up and one of my favorite movies and book.

by Anonymousreply 173August 9, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote] I think the overarching theme is "love conquers all."

Forster's credo was "Only connect".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 9, 2021 1:32 AM

R174 I highly recommended the biography by her, it is quite well done and it ends somewhat happily with his well balanced open throuple relationship with a policeman and his wife.

by Anonymousreply 175August 9, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote] well balanced open throuple relationship with a policeman and his wife.

I think I heard that that relationship is going to be portrayed in a new move with that young man who looks like The Artful Dodger and who, I think, is named Harry Stiles.

by Anonymousreply 176August 9, 2021 2:21 AM

Only connect x 3!

by Anonymousreply 177August 9, 2021 2:23 AM

The policeman tried to prevent mention of Forster's sexuality after Forster died.

by Anonymousreply 178August 9, 2021 2:26 AM

[quote]OTOH Rupert Graves has really stood the test of time. He's fresh and interesting to watch in every role and at every age. He's also very frank and open about his life and his sexuality.

What's the deal with Graves's sexuality?

by Anonymousreply 179August 9, 2021 2:29 AM

Compare and contrast with "Enchanted April."

by Anonymousreply 180August 9, 2021 2:30 AM

Being a servant was not only a perfectly respectable way to make a living for generations of lower class Brits, it also enabled the British economic system to thrive. Only the very poor didn't have a servant or 2 at least a couple of days a week.

by Anonymousreply 181August 9, 2021 2:39 AM

R180 I've never seen Enchanted April, but I know this little trivia:

After he lost the 1992 election, George H.W. Bush, Colin Powell, Brent Scowcroft, and James Baker all watched Enchanted April at Camp David.

by Anonymousreply 182August 9, 2021 2:40 AM

I love Enchanted April.

by Anonymousreply 183August 9, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote] Compare and contrast with "Enchanted April."

There is no comparison. One is them 90% schmaltz.

by Anonymousreply 184August 9, 2021 2:48 AM

I thought Polly Walker's performance was the best thing about "Enchanted April". Very fresh and funny, and she looks great with a Louise Brooks bob.

by Anonymousreply 185August 9, 2021 2:54 AM

Reverend Beebe: "Looking at Italian art! You see, you talk of coincidence and fate. You're naturally drawn to things Italian, as are we and all our friends, aren't we, Freddy? That narrows the field immeasurably"

- George Emerson: "It is fate. But call it Italy if it pleases you, Vicar.”

by Anonymousreply 186August 9, 2021 3:08 AM

I can practically hear Julian’s voice r186 - “vicar”

by Anonymousreply 187August 9, 2021 3:21 AM

Julian Sands has had a steady career. A Room with a View

The Killing Fields

Arachnophobia

Leaving Las Vegas

Rose Red

Ocean's Thirteen

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Crooked House

The Painted Bird

by Anonymousreply 188August 9, 2021 3:29 AM

R179 Rupert Graves on his sexuality...

[quote]"But it's only when your fame dwindles that you start appreciating the expectations other people have. They get angry with you for not sustaining the image they had of you." Which was? "Well, I did Maurice and I did a couple of gay plays and I think it was because when I was young I was pretty and I was a pin-up for a lot of gay people. It's interesting when you're in your thirties and you're not the same pretty boy that you were when you were 21. I think people's anger at themselves getting older is projected on to you because you become a symbol of that.

[quote]"I'm a middle-aged man now. I mean, someone, not working on the show but around the show, said something to me the other day. And I just said, 'Well, that might be upsetting to you, but it doesn't upset me. Just because you don't want to f*** me any more, it doesn't upset me.'"

[quote]And homosexuality is not his thing? "I've swung between two per cent and 38 per cent gayness, I think, something like that, in my life."

[quote]Has he ever had a gay relationship? "Um, yes, one. I realised I wasn't gay because the only way I could really enjoy it was to close my eyes and imagine a woman. But I had issues to sort out and I felt like experiencing stuff."

[quote]He was a secret heterosexual? "It's true. I was a closet straight. I think I wanted to be gay because I thought it was arty and interesting. And also I was phenomenally shy with girls."

[quote]He explains that as a teenager he was dirty and spotty. Given that the prettiness of his twenties sent out the wrong signals to men, I suspect he is happiest looking the way he does now, which is still young.

[quote]"I just think the older I get, actually, the better I feel. It's given me the strength to say, 'If I get older and you don't like me any more, f*** you!' I'm kind of happy with that. Much more happy, much less vulnerable. As a young actor I felt like prey because I didn't know the business. I have much more confidence to be obnoxious now. The choice of being obnoxious, or not, is a lovely gift and it only comes with age."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 9, 2021 4:23 AM

Rupert Graves played Freddy who was just an unthinking adolescent and, really, just incidental to the plot.

I'm guessing Forster placed him in the story to embody that "free, natural spirit" that George Emerson preaches but doesn't actually do. Freddy was spontaneous and had no qualms about suggesting that they go nude.

I suppose Freddy went to be sexual and/or heterosexual but we don't know because he was unimportant to the main thrust of Forster's story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 9, 2021 4:42 AM

R146 I don't understand what you're trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 191August 9, 2021 5:26 AM

R191 He’s self referential.

by Anonymousreply 192August 9, 2021 5:27 AM

That scene in which Graves plays that silly song on the piano while singing makes him incredibly attractive.

Even his mother seems to be affected by it.She chides him, but she realizes that people as beautiful as he is makes their own rules.

by Anonymousreply 193August 9, 2021 10:27 AM

Oh, that's right, I forgot he was in The Killing Fields—good movie. But his leading roles dried up early, except for schlocky ones.

by Anonymousreply 194August 9, 2021 11:10 AM

[quote]Compare and contrast with "Enchanted April."

I almost lost a friendship over Enchanted April. It's the most stinking piece of clichéd "personal renewal" crap (Oh we must feature a plant blooming at the end!) ever put on screen. It truly is frau pap on estrogen. And appallingly photographed. There's a scene that's supposed to be a really important one where a character opens up the shutters at the villa after a rainy night, revealing a vista of sunshine and loveliness. Except the moment is completely lost because the cinematography is so rubbishy, the camera also blinded by water reflections. It's like no one had a light meter on set. And as for the twee dialogue: don't get me started!

by Anonymousreply 195August 9, 2021 11:12 AM

R191: people always confuse the Ruperts even though they're physically very different and only one of them is serious about acting.

by Anonymousreply 196August 9, 2021 11:20 AM

HELENA BONHAM CARTER IS A SORRY ASSED BORING ICKY ACTRESS.....

by Anonymousreply 197August 9, 2021 12:52 PM

Enchanted April is based on the novel The Enchanted April by best-selling 1920s writer Elizabeth von Arnim, who also wrote the novel Mr. Skeffington. Both books are far superior to their film adaptations and well-wroth checking out. She also wrote a novel called Vera that's still shocking today.

by Anonymousreply 198August 9, 2021 12:56 PM

English people don't understand Americans' use of the language.

They understand you might not be talking about donkeys and asses. They understand you use 'ass' instead of 'arse'. They don't understand you might use a noun instead of a verb in the past tense.

by Anonymousreply 199August 9, 2021 12:57 PM

Americans are so much better than the British.

by Anonymousreply 200August 9, 2021 7:28 PM

Americans of the best type, R200? So rare!

by Anonymousreply 201August 9, 2021 8:48 PM

[quote] You know the American girl in Punch who says: ‘Say, poppa, what did we see at Rome?’ And the father replies: ‘Why, guess Rome was the place where we saw the yaller dog.’

by Anonymousreply 202August 9, 2021 11:56 PM

R202 That anecdote is rather dismissive of Americans.

I had assumed it was the basis of this more recent fiction—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 10, 2021 5:10 AM

Helena Bohnam represents that rather common type of brit actress who coasts on the credential of her smart rich hubby....

by Anonymousreply 204August 10, 2021 12:58 PM

What hubby was that? Has she ever even been married? When she got her first success in the mid 80s she wasn't helped by any marriage or relationship.

by Anonymousreply 205August 10, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote][R148], Emerson was NOT a homo!

R148 must be confusing Emerson and Whitman

by Anonymousreply 206August 10, 2021 1:32 PM

R206 But what about Lake and Palmer?

by Anonymousreply 207August 10, 2021 3:09 PM

Nothing like watching a movie about a bunch of rich white people have rich white people problems.

by Anonymousreply 208August 10, 2021 3:35 PM

Oh, Mary! R208

by Anonymousreply 209August 10, 2021 3:46 PM

R681 I don't know why Simon Callow might have cared if they shot the nude scene below the waist, as I saw him starkers in the West End in "The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B" in a very funny nude entrance a few years before "A Room with A View", plus he did a number of nude stage performances afterwards. He seemed pretty much as ease naked on stage.

Julian Sands looks even better when he was older, at least in some of those clips in the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 210August 10, 2021 4:04 PM

oops, R63 I meant.

by Anonymousreply 211August 10, 2021 4:05 PM

R131 The class system is still there in present times as well. To some extent, you are judged and responded to as soon as you open your mouth to say a few words.

by Anonymousreply 212August 10, 2021 4:17 PM

Rupert's Freddie clears the room (and steals the film)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 10, 2021 4:18 PM

Of course, US has a class system too. But a guy with a Brooklyn accent, say, isn't judged by that. Nope, Americans judge by how much money one appears to have, based on how they are dressed, what kind of car they drive, what restaurants they eat at, etc.

by Anonymousreply 214August 10, 2021 4:19 PM

@ R206

[quote] "I am more puzzled than ever with Gay's conduct. He came out to meet me yesterday, but just before we met, I turned another corner and most strangely avoided him. This morning I went out to meet him in a different direction and stopped to speak to a lounger so as to be directly in Gay's way, but he turned into the first gate and went towards Stoughton. All this child's play persists without any apparent design, and as soberly as if both of us were intent on some tremendous affair."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 10, 2021 8:50 PM

[quote]But a guy with a Brooklyn accent, say, isn't judged by that. Nope

You are fooling yourself.

As soon as an American opens his mouth with a crude New York or a hick accent, judgments are instantly made by other Americans.

"Not our sort."

by Anonymousreply 216August 10, 2021 10:31 PM

R210 I don’t think he really cared as his attitude in the interview at R63 seems rather bemused about the nudity rather than bitter. I think R67 ‘s outrage is a bit melodramatic.

by Anonymousreply 217August 10, 2021 10:35 PM

Another part of the same program of RWAV interviews as linked at R63. This one with commentary by James Ivory, cinematographer Tony Pierce-Roberts, and costume designer John Bright.

For what it’s worth regarding the nudity, Ivory says it was approached with a whatever ends up on camera is what will be shown attitude and Pierce-Roberts agrees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 10, 2021 10:42 PM

[quote]As soon as an American opens his mouth with a crude New York or a hick accent, judgments are instantly made by other Americans. "Not our sort."

That's not what I think. When I hear a strong NYC accent, I think, "delightful" and smile. I love the sound of it.

by Anonymousreply 219August 10, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] That's not what I think…

At least two of us here think otherwise

by Anonymousreply 220August 10, 2021 10:48 PM

We love James Ivory for his swingin' dicks on the big screen. He was miffed that they nixed it for Call Me By Your Name...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2021 11:57 PM

Tiny nub white man dick under flabby gunts don't "SWING." The nudity is sweet in the movie but there's nothing sexy about any of it. YUK, as we say in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 222August 11, 2021 1:37 AM

[quote]That's not what I think. When I hear a strong NYC accent, I think, "delightful" and smile. I love the sound of it.

That's because you are also low-class trash.

I'm not judging. I'm sure you are very happy being vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 223August 11, 2021 2:56 AM

That's not necessarily true. When I, a Yank, but an actor with standard American speech, worked in London at a food establishment years ago, the Cockney lads and other folks there requested and were delighted to hear me do various American accents, including Brooklyn and Southern. I guess sometimes some non-Southern Americans might think a thick Southern US accent types that person as being kind of dumb and Gomer Pyle-ish. An recent episode of the tv series "History of Situation Comedy" said as much when talking about shows like "Andy Griffith", "Beverly Hillbillies", etc. When I hear a not so thick but certain type of Southern accent, especially from a lady like on "Designing Women", I just think it sounds rather genteel, refined and quite ladylike. Ok, Brooklyn accents are pretty out there and relatively exaggerated. But, unlike in the UK, except for the extreme accents, Easterners and Midwesterners size you up by your clothes, car, etc. In the UK a lot of folks can pretty much size up where you are in the social pecking order by your speech. "Pygmalion" is still very much there.

by Anonymousreply 224August 11, 2021 3:21 AM

Dixie Carter on "Designing Women" especially had a very lady-like, genteel Southern accent.

by Anonymousreply 225August 11, 2021 3:22 AM

Is the NY accent any worse than the "Boawsten" accent?

by Anonymousreply 226August 11, 2021 3:53 AM

Thanks for ;posting that great video, r218, I loved hearing the comments of Ivory, John Bright and the cinematographer. Made me want to watch the movie again.

by Anonymousreply 227August 11, 2021 1:38 PM

One of the best films of the 1980's.

I am currently reading Maurice and excited to watch the adaptation when I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 228August 11, 2021 3:17 PM

[quote]In the UK a lot of folks can pretty much size up where you are in the social pecking order by your speech. "Pygmalion" is still very much there.

That used to be the case. My parents and I all had elocution lessons as children so that we would speak with BBC received pronunciation. If we hadn't, we would have been looked down upon.

But now, regional accents are much more popular. In London, even well-to-do people speak with an Estuary accent, which would have been, literally, unheard of not so long ago.

by Anonymousreply 229August 11, 2021 7:35 PM

R228 You're in for a treat and more swingin' dicks.

by Anonymousreply 230August 11, 2021 9:04 PM

This was twenty years ago but I remember reading in some business journal that a lot of British companies were hiring manager from the US to head due to the more neutral "classless" American accent. I guess they felt that some guy with a broad regional accent would have a hard time bossing over someone with a more schooled and higher class accent.

by Anonymousreply 231August 11, 2021 10:28 PM

I didn’t think Cecil was that bad. He just seemed shy and awkward more than snobby. And I thought Lucy was really shitty to him.

by Anonymousreply 232August 12, 2021 1:56 AM

Cecil seems like the poster boy for Asexuality.

by Anonymousreply 233August 12, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote] Freddy who was just an unthinking adolescent and, really, just incidental to the plot.

Cecil was also just incidental. Forster didn't bother to give him two dimensions except he unwittingly acted in bringing the two lovers together.

I love this scene because Lucy is repeating EVERYTHING that George just told her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234August 12, 2021 2:10 AM

Cecil Vyse grew up to be Newland Archer from the Age of Innocence. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 235August 12, 2021 6:52 PM

Cecil just seemed like he wouldn't have the light on when he disrobed for bed, and Lucy had already (or was soon to see George naked (and packing) after his nude bathe.

by Anonymousreply 236August 13, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote] packing

An online dictionary tells me that 'Packing is wearing padding or a phallic object in the front of the pants or underwear to give the appearance of having a penis or bulge. Packing is commonly practiced by transvestites.

by Anonymousreply 237August 13, 2021 12:14 AM

So then what is “unpacking?”

by Anonymousreply 238August 13, 2021 12:27 AM

And let's not even go into "fudge-packing."

by Anonymousreply 239August 13, 2021 1:27 AM

Pics of Julian Sands' ass in Room with a View, please!

by Anonymousreply 240August 13, 2021 2:32 AM

Wow. This thread exploded. I didn't realize I created such an uproar.

by Anonymousreply 241August 13, 2021 1:11 PM

3 full-frontal naked guys in a major motion picture as a surprise kind of made a stir back then. It still does, if you don't know it's coming. The rest of the film is enchanting and visually beautiful, funny and moving as well.

by Anonymousreply 242August 13, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote]Cecil Vyse grew up to be Newland Archer from the Age of Innocence. Duh.

Actually, Newland Archer (Victorian) predates Cecil Vyse (Edwardian) by about 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 243August 13, 2021 7:36 PM

R243 Yeah, but as far as the character being written, E.M. Forster wrote Cecil in 1908. Edith Wharton wrote Newland Archer in 1920.

by Anonymousreply 244August 13, 2021 9:07 PM

It's a great thread. And I don't think we've even touched on the extreme beauty of the Italian guys in the piazza scene when they argue and one is stabbed. The way it was filmed was like a series of magnificent paintings.

by Anonymousreply 245August 14, 2021 12:01 AM

Where's the best streaming site to watch the film now?

by Anonymousreply 246August 14, 2021 3:41 AM

R246

It's currently available to stream on Amazon Prime for $2.99/SD or $3.99/HD, or HBO Max with a subscription. The Internet says it's available on Netflix Streaming, but it is currently only available on DVD.

It also comes and goes on other channels so your best bet is to search for "Where can I watch 'A Room With a View" to get current options.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 14, 2021 12:19 PM

Never watched it before, saw it last night based on this thread. Very good movie! Beautiful scenery. DDL and HBC were the weak links. But I really enjoyed it, thank you for the recommendation

by Anonymousreply 248August 14, 2021 12:46 PM

I think it's a film that's underestimated in people's memories. Mention the title and many people might respond, "Oh, that's a lovely/funny/pretty/fun film!," as though describing the dress of a birthday girl at her party. Initial reaction is that it's light and frivolous and a bit silly. But go past that and many people remember it in some detail, the plot, the locations, the people, and they have favorite scenes and characters and lines from different characters, which is to say a bigger impression than most films leave, years or many years after viewing them.

The light mood and quick pace of the film works because Merchant and Ivory made a lot of good decisions. For some time they were rather written off: "oh, it's one of those Merchant Ivory sorts of films, pretty girls, Edwardian dresses, trifling obstacles, but beautiful locations," all of which many Merchant Ivory films have, but well done and something better than the sum of the parts.

by Anonymousreply 249August 14, 2021 12:50 PM

I remember a "friend" saying "It's a movie only pretentious people like, like 'A Room With a View.'"

I responded, "I love that movie!"

And he rolled his eyes.

But in fairness, he liked sitcoms, so I looked down on him, too.

by Anonymousreply 250August 14, 2021 4:24 PM

R250, I had an eye-rolling attitude to A Room With a View for a few years after it came out, seeing it a few times and relishing it only for its pretentiousness, until at some point in the early 90s I admitted to myself, "I love this movie!"

by Anonymousreply 251August 14, 2021 4:32 PM

A straight friend of mine at the time eye-rolled it and said it was a movie for virgins. He was an 80s beatnik wannabe.

by Anonymousreply 252August 14, 2021 4:35 PM

Was George a virgin, or had he been around the block a few times before meeting Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 253August 14, 2021 4:40 PM

George found it pretty easy to get his dick out, so I imagine he probably dabbled a bit in some sex.

by Anonymousreply 254August 14, 2021 5:28 PM

George fucked Jodie Foster. He was experienced with the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 255August 14, 2021 5:45 PM

"O mio babbino caro" ("Oh My Beloved Father") is a soprano aria from the opera Gianni Schicchi (1918) by Giacomo Puccini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 15, 2021 6:58 AM

I watched it at 12 too and had an affair with a school mate over that summer. We went naked swimming just like in the movie in my pool. I was terrified!

by Anonymousreply 257August 15, 2021 7:25 AM

Also featured during the big kiss scene between George and Lucy is the aria usually referred to as "Doretta's Dream" from Puccini's "La Rondine", also sung by Kiri Te Kanawa. It was a popular encore that Leontyne Price used to feature in many of her concerts.

by Anonymousreply 258August 15, 2021 2:41 PM

This film is fucking perfect.

by Anonymousreply 259August 15, 2021 8:22 PM

^ That fourth word is neither necessary nor appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 260August 15, 2021 11:25 PM

Aunt Charlotte, you need another adventure, and quick!

by Anonymousreply 261August 16, 2021 12:17 AM

Aunt Charlotte needs a huge dildo up her snatch, STAT.

by Anonymousreply 262August 16, 2021 12:35 AM

Cecil, would you care for a bathe?

by Anonymousreply 263August 16, 2021 2:23 AM

Look at this woman with her appalling Dangling Tendrils trying to get a straight answer out of Daniel.

At least he admits he could have played The Lover instead of The Sissy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 16, 2021 5:43 AM

bonham carter is gross, i avoid anything she in......vanilla.

by Anonymousreply 265September 7, 2021 12:24 PM

[quote] Is this on Amazon Prime or Neyflix?

I wish it were on Neyflix, Wilbur!

by Anonymousreply 266September 7, 2021 12:37 PM

Are Helena Bonham Carter and Emma Samms two different moonfaced Brits, or the same one?

by Anonymousreply 267September 7, 2021 12:48 PM

EQUALLY GROSS

by Anonymousreply 268September 7, 2021 12:57 PM

helena b ruins another movie.....KARUMBA! (DESTROYED THE CROWN YE GADS.....

by Anonymousreply 269September 11, 2021 11:12 AM

I think Simon Callow is pretty cute being naked with those younger, thinner guys. It's kind of hot actually.

by Anonymousreply 270June 25, 2022 3:54 PM

It is one of those movies (like Altman's Gosford Park) where I tend to discover something new with each new viewing.

However, Maurice will remain my most favorite Merchant Ivory movie. I remember, on my first visit ever to a gay bookstore (God, was I fucking nervous), I did not buy a book, but the CD soundtrack of Maurice. I was, like, wow! What a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 271June 25, 2022 4:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!