Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Remains of the Day (1993)

Let's discuss my favorite film of all time. I looked and could not find a recent thread that was not marked out.

In 1958, while on a cross country trip to visit his old colleague Ms. Kenton, James Stevens reflects on his life and career as the butler to the once illustrious Darlington Hall.

Directed by James Ivory

Based on the novel by Kazuo Ishiguro

Produced by Ismail Merchant

Screenplay by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala

Music by Richard Robbins

Starring Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Fox, Hugh Grant, Peter Vaughan, Tim Pigott-Smith, Michael Lonsdale, Patrick Godfrey, Lena Headey, Ben Chaplin, and Christopher Reeve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200October 28, 2023 4:27 PM

The film is perfect in every way.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2022 8:11 PM

Hopkins, Thompson, Fox, Reeve, Grant, Lonsdale, Pigott-Smith, and Vaughan give damn good performances.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2022 8:13 PM

I own the lunchbox.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2022 8:29 PM

R3 Pic?????

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2022 8:38 PM

Exquisite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2022 9:24 PM

A sigh followed by a groan followed by a mutter. The end.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote] Vaughan give damn good performances.

How did Vaughan produce that drop of nasal mucous on cue?

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote] Screenplay by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala

The one who refused to script the gay 'Maurice'.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2022 10:45 PM

The film is that rare brilliant adaptation of a brilliant novel. Both just perfect in every way.

Sadly, I've never found any of Ishiguros' other books to live up to this one.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2022 10:53 PM

[quote] Ishiguros' other books

Are they about gays and English servants?

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2022 10:55 PM

R9 Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go is supposed to be good, I never read it though.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2022 11:02 PM

[quote] Never Let Me Go

A kids' movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2022 11:06 PM

Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins were outstanding. She was in another excellent movie that year, In the Name of the Father with Daniel Day Lewis. He was remarkable in it.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2022 11:15 PM

Meryl Streep had a falling out with Mike Nichols over this project. She "expected" that she would play the female lead. Only to be told it was given to Emma Thompson.

Streep and Nichols didn't speak for a while, as Streep was beyond pissed

She was so angry that she fired her agency and management, and signed up with a new team to get her career back on track,

Being turned down for roles is NOT in Meryl's DNA

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2022 11:17 PM

Emma Thompson's obnoxious behavior off-screen and her tactless gabby mouth has completely tainted my honest perception of movies that I previously liked.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2022 11:18 PM

[quote] Being turned down for roles is NOT in Meryl's DNA

That machinating woman has been turned down by the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2022 11:21 PM

Amazing soundtrack

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2022 11:47 PM

I didn't see the lovely Ben in this movie.

Did I nod off?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2022 11:49 PM

Great movie

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2022 11:52 PM

A small, inconsequential movie with two protagonists and four scene changes.

'Howards End' was much better value with more protagonists, drama and delightful things happening on screen.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2022 12:13 AM

R18 He was the young butler who wanted to get married to a young Lena Headey.

R14 There are not many American actresses in Merchant Ivory films and Meryl is not good enough. Lee Remick, Glenn Close, Anjelica Huston, Jessica Tandy, and Joanne Woodward are.

R20 This movie is not small.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2022 1:18 AM

R21 The budget was a tiny $15 mill.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2022 1:49 AM

I want to see The Remains of the Gay, the homocentric remake

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2022 2:09 AM

Was this Christopher Reeves final film before his accident? Very sad, because he was finally given a great role to play.

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2022 2:19 AM

For R4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2022 2:26 AM

Years later, Nichols offered Streep "Wit," but she turned it down, having just played a woman with cancer in "One True Thing," so Emma got to adapt and star in "Wit" too.

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2022 2:37 AM

R11 Never let me Go is brilliant, it was my first Ish novel. "The artist in the Floating World" is also brilliant. I love his books.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2022 2:52 AM

R20, your comparison of these two equally excellent movies is pointless. Your silly condescension of "Remains of the Day" as inferior to "Howards End" shows that you have no comprehension of what "Remains of the Day" was about. "Howards End" gave "much better value"? What a laughable thing to say--like a movie is some kind of product.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2022 2:57 AM

What about A Pale View of Hills? I could not make head or tail of that one. I got only halfway through it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2022 2:57 AM

Hmm R29, was that the "ghost" story The woman whose daughter commits suicide? Yeah, that was a different one, it's definitely not like his others, I wouldn't reccomend that, I only read it because I read all his books. I'm currently on "The Buried Giant" which is also unlike his other books. I would sat "Artist in the Floating World" should be a second read book. And of course "Remains of the Day" should be read too. I've read it many times, I only saw the movie once. I was thinking about watching it recently.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2022 3:04 AM

No, that was the one where an unnamed (I think?) person arrives in an unknown destination and is met by a group who take him to be someone else (or *are* they really wrong?) and treat him like some kind of dignitary. I believe he has to give a speech but he doesn't know why or on what subject, and things just get more and more surreal and unnerving (there's an undercurrent of threat throughout), yet somehow boring.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2022 3:08 AM

I'm sorry, I was totally wrong. The title I was thinking of was The Unconsoled!

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2022 3:10 AM

P.S. and the main character did indeed have a name. He was Ryder, a concert pianist. I got a lot of details wrong, unsurprisingly.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2022 3:11 AM

Oh The Unconsoled is the only one I haven't read! Now I want to. Okay, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2022 3:15 AM

What does Ben whisper at 1.40?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2022 4:08 AM

He was telling him that his father needed him R35, remember his dad passed out.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2022 4:12 AM

R24 Yes, this was Christopher Reeve's last performance before his tragic accident. This film was also his best performance

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2022 1:34 PM

R37 I thought Christopher Reeve was miscast. The other people could act.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2022 1:51 PM

Reeve was excellently cast.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2022 1:52 PM

This film had a very odd effect on me. While watching it, I enjoyed it but found myself getting a bit bored at times.

After it finished, I walked to my car, got in, and burst into tears.

The Remains of the Day really rattled me in ways I wasn't aware of while I was watching it.

It spoke to a deep sadness I was feeling from being in love with someone a decade earlier and neither of us having the nerve to say anything.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2022 1:54 PM

R40 I know what you mean. That movie is one slow burn.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2022 2:06 PM

*I've seen it twice*

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2022 2:07 PM

“What is the point of worrying oneself too much about what one could or could not have done to control the course one's life took? Surely it is enough that the likes of you and I at least try to make our small contribution count for something true and worthy. And if some of us are prepared to sacrifice much in life in order to pursue such aspirations, surely that in itself, whatever the outcome, cause for pride and contentment.”

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2022 2:24 PM

I could not finish Ishiguro's KLARA AND THE SUN, which I think is his latest book. Chilling yet also preposterous. and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2022 2:30 PM

Oh I loved it too R44! It gives off the same vibes as Remains, doomed robot is as sad as unrequited love butler.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2022 2:34 PM

“He chose a certain path in life, it proved to be a misguided one, but there, he chose it, he can say that at least. As for myself, I cannot even claim that. You see, I trusted. I trusted in his lordship's wisdom. All those years I served him, I trusted I was doing something worthwhile. I can't even say I made my own mistakes. Really - one has to ask oneself - what dignity is there in that?”

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2022 2:37 PM

Except I didn't love it, r45. Perhaps you read my post with the same carelessness you read the book?

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2022 2:39 PM

No, I meant I loved it too, as I love all his works, sorry. I can see that how I wrote that is confusing. You should finish it, you're already in it.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2022 2:42 PM

No need to be a cunt, R47. Do you need a Midol?

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2022 2:43 PM

R14 tell the story right. Meryl and Jeremy Irons were both courted for the leads by Mike Nichols when he was set to Direct/Produce. He eventually decided neither of them was the right fit for the movie but did not tell Streep, who was by this point a friend (they'd collaborated on Silkwood, Heartburn & Postcards From The Edge). That's why she was so pissed.

She fired her agent because they didn't have the balls to tell her the project was off. She was not replaced by Thompson, she was cast when Nichols dropped out and a new Director was brought in.

Poor Streep went on to star in epic turkey "The House Of The Spirits" instead, where Glenn played her sister!

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2022 3:13 PM

[quote] She was not replaced by Thompson, she was cast when Nichols dropped out and a new Director was brought in.

No one is saying that Meryl was replaced by Thompson

Mike Nichols was still an Executive Producer and Meryl had expected to be the female lead. Instead she finds out that Thompson was cast instead, and nobody, not even her BFF Mike Nichols told her.

That is why she was so pissed an Nichols, him of all people should have told her they are moving in a new direction

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2022 3:16 PM

The movie would suck if Meryl was in it. Thompson and Hopkins were perfect together.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2022 3:24 PM

Thompson was perfect for that role. As was Hopkins.

I'm glad the other version never saw the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2022 3:27 PM

Me, too.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2022 3:37 PM

Emma Thompson had no chemistry with Hopkins, who was perfect in the role

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2022 3:53 PM

I'm gonna get crushed for this, and I loved the movie, but I thought Hopkins could have offered a little more affect for Thompson to work with to justify her hope, and still stay true to the painfully proper, emotionally remote character. Just a quibble.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2022 3:54 PM

[quote]Emma Thompson had no chemistry with Hopkins

I disagree. She was very playful with him. Probably the only person in his entire life who had been.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2022 4:06 PM

Never Let Me Go is a wonderful book, though didn't necessarily translate well to film. Klara & The Sun was good, but sort of a pale imitation of NLMG.

Remains of the Day is a wonderful movie, though I remember watching it, thinking "fucks sake, just say something nice to the woman! One word from you would do it!" But as an elder person, I have a better understanding of how you don't necessarily appreciate or understand "big moments" in your life & let them pass you by. One of my favorite scenes is when the maid tries to stand up for the jewish immigrants, only to eventually back down. And she confesses that she hates herself for doing it, but it's a scary world out there & she doesn't have the resources & will to stand on her convictions. How true is that of so many people? Lord Darlington is not necessarily a bad guy, just entitled & oblivious. A really wonderful work all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2022 4:07 PM

Completely disagree, R55.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote]I disagree. She was very playful with him. Probably the only person in his entire life who had been.

They're both rather hammy, but only those two could make an extended argument over "who moved the china man?" sound like foreplay

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2022 4:17 PM

"They're both rather hammy"

No, R60, they decidedly were not.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2022 4:23 PM

[quote]And she confesses that she hates herself for doing it, but it's a scary world out there & she doesn't have the resources & will to stand on her convictions. How true is that of so many people?

Very true. I believe she called herself a coward. Gutting scene.

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2022 4:24 PM

“For a great many people, the evening is the most enjoyable part of the day. Perhaps, then, there is something to his advice that I should cease looking back so much, that I should adopt a more positive outlook and try to make the best of what remains of my day. After all, what can we ever gain in forever looking back and blaming ourselves if our lives have not turned out quite as we might have wished?”

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2022 4:26 PM

I thought Thompson and Hopkins had off the charts chemistry, both in this and in Howards End. That scene in which she caught him with the book and he stood gazing at her!

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2022 5:14 PM

Exactly, R64.

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2022 5:15 PM

I read the book years ago. And I could never quite grasp why they were both so repressed and unwilling to make a move. I mean it's not like either of them took a vow of celibacy or that there was any social taboo against them dating ( they were both of the same class)

by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2022 5:32 PM

This is funny, my memory must be going. I was 100 percent sure that Kristin Scott Thomas played opposite Hopkins in this film.

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2022 5:33 PM

[quote]And I could never quite grasp why they were both so repressed and unwilling to make a move.

I did not find this difficult to understand. As the child of emotionally withholding parents, I was in several situations when I was young where I wanted to let someone who had shown an interest in me know that I had feelings for them, too. But I just froze up and couldn't say anything. I didn't even understand why at the time. Those situations have always haunted me.

And that was, no doubt, why this film shook me up.

by Anonymousreply 68October 24, 2022 5:36 PM

[quote]I read the book years ago. And I could never quite grasp why they were both so repressed and unwilling to make a move.

Probably a combination of fear (what if he/she rejects me & I'm forever humiliated in front of this person I see *every* day) and feelings of being unlovable. Another of my favorite scenes is when the young maid quits (a very young Lena Headey) and the Emma Thompson character is baffled & impressed by her complete lack of fear for their dubious future. It's as if if the idea of chucking it all aside for love never even occurred to her.

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2022 5:48 PM

I had the same reaction to the movie as R40. It really stayed with me. Along those same lines, the 1995 version of Persuasion had the same effect.

I agree Remains of the Day, the book as well as movie, were perfect.

by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2022 6:07 PM

Emma Thompson is the only actress who can honestly hold her own with Anthony Hopkins. Hopkins usually steals the scene, but he is hard to see, even when standing in the middle of an empty room.

by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2022 9:02 PM

This movie is very suitable movie to watch before dying.

by Anonymousreply 72October 24, 2022 9:44 PM

Outstanding movie. Movie might even be better than the book, like "Gone with the Wind".

by Anonymousreply 73October 24, 2022 10:30 PM

One needs to watch this movie twice in one night to appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 74October 24, 2022 10:31 PM

I just purchased the movie from Amazon and am having my mom re-read it on my kindle again so we can watch and talk about it. My mom reads fast, she's 70 percent through it and i just told her this morning so it's a good quick read if anyone hasn't read it and is thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 75October 24, 2022 10:34 PM

Is the text in the book as sparse as the dialogue in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2022 10:36 PM

I don't think so R76, there's a lot of flashbacks with talking. There are some rambling Thoreau-ish descriptions of the countryside and stuff though.

by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2022 10:39 PM

I always liked James Fox's performance in this.

by Anonymousreply 78October 25, 2022 12:29 AM

Yes, R78, James Fox can always be counted upon. He is always upper class and well put together.

Always well groomed, ironed, buttoned down, and a quintessential old school Englishman.

by Anonymousreply 79October 25, 2022 12:33 AM

R79 are you mimicking me?

by Anonymousreply 80October 25, 2022 12:43 AM

R78, me too

by Anonymousreply 81October 25, 2022 1:06 AM

James Fox was pretty in the 1960s.

But if you look at his televised interviews you will see that he is a mere shell of a man. He's sometimes incapable of forming a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 82October 25, 2022 1:33 AM

R82 interview links?

by Anonymousreply 83October 25, 2022 2:21 AM

I seem to remember he got really into LSD and Christianity, or was that Edward? I can't keep them straight.

by Anonymousreply 84October 25, 2022 2:38 AM

[quote]“What is the point of worrying oneself too much about what one could or could not have done to control the course one's life took? Surely it is enough that the likes of you and I at least try to make our small contribution count for something true and worthy. And if some of us are prepared to sacrifice much in life in order to pursue such aspirations, surely that in itself, whatever the outcome, cause for pride and contentment.”

There is something profoundly English about this passage. The Anthony Hopkins character is horrifying and sad.

by Anonymousreply 85October 25, 2022 7:19 AM

James was an evangelical Christian and temporarily retired from acting because of it.

by Anonymousreply 86October 25, 2022 7:27 AM

The person with Hopkins is the one who had to ben taken away from the dinner table with the unhygienic drippy nose (alluded to at R7).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 25, 2022 7:45 AM

I watched it a few months ago and I couldn't figure out if he was suppressing his personality or if he never developed one to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 88October 25, 2022 7:50 AM

[quote] [R82] interview links?

Go to Google.

by Anonymousreply 89October 25, 2022 7:54 AM

He was so uptight he was up his own arse r88. The Emma Thomson character had a good go at shaking him out of it though. Watched this film many times and get something more from it every time. It’s become essential Christmas viewing, along with Gossford Park. Just need a servant or two to keep the glasses topped up. . . I live in a community which still has the Laird up in the big hoose and he still maintains remnants of the house party, hunting shooting, fishing lifestyle. Much pared back though with contractors and temporary staff brought in as required.

by Anonymousreply 90October 25, 2022 8:04 AM

Getting drunk while watching Gosford Park sounds like a great Christmas tradition. I might have to steal it.

by Anonymousreply 91October 25, 2022 8:09 AM

Wonderful film. I especially liked the vibrant cinematography and sharp, bright contrasts of the 1930s scenes compared with the washed-out palette of the 1950s.

I guess they were tilting at Hollywood and the Peoria audience with those scenes in which, ludicrously, the smart young American Congressman is the only one who can see the danger of Hitler coming - since there was even less appetite for war in the US than in the UK at that time.

James Fox is great as amiable, charming old fool Lord Darlington - apparently in the book, which I haven't read, he is much nastier and has more pronounced fascist tendencies himself.

by Anonymousreply 92October 25, 2022 8:14 AM

A friend of mine was actually one of the riders in the hunting scene too - "A sport his lordship neither enjoyed, nor approved of".

by Anonymousreply 93October 25, 2022 8:22 AM

R92 James Fox is incapable of being nasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 25, 2022 8:24 AM

The book is the classic example of "untrustworthy narrator" as in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

by Anonymousreply 95October 25, 2022 12:50 PM

I watched it last night because of this thread.

It was excellent. Well written and acted. Thompson's acting in the "I am a coward" scene was amazing. When Hopkins tells her how important she is to "the house," the flicker of recognition of what he is really trying to say is wonderful.

The scene at the end where they are saying goodbye broke my heart.

by Anonymousreply 96October 25, 2022 1:15 PM

R92 Fox was nasty in this, but he was sophisticated nasty. It is all there, but Fox covered it up well. Men in his time would never outright exclaim their true views to lessers.

by Anonymousreply 97October 25, 2022 1:17 PM

I adore Ishiguro. I cherish each of his books, though I do consider "Klara and the Sun" a step below his other work. I find myself thinking of his books often. They creep up on you and stay with you.

"The Artist of the Floating World" and "The Remains of the Day" are great companion reads, as they both explore similar themes—one from an English POV, one from a Japanese POV.

by Anonymousreply 98October 25, 2022 1:35 PM

r95, I believe the expression you're looking for is UNRELIABLE NARRATOR.

by Anonymousreply 99October 25, 2022 2:07 PM

I loved how the film showed how the servants were just treated like children/furniture:

How Stevens is holding out the drink at the hunt and he is ignored until the rider is damn well ready to stop talking and reach for it.

How Stevens' father has just died and Cardinal is nattering on about fish and thinking he is being dreadfully amusing.

How Stevens is repeatedly mocked by the obnoxious know-it-all asking him policy questions just to humiliate him for sport. Q.E.D.

by Anonymousreply 100October 25, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote] How Stevens is repeatedly mocked by the obnoxious know-it-all asking him policy questions just to humiliate him for sport.

Oh god I forgot about that scene, it was so vile. I hated Fox's character for allowing that abuse, and for being a Nazi lover of course.

by Anonymousreply 101October 25, 2022 2:23 PM

[quote] I hated Fox's character for allowing that abuse

That's when you realize that the lord of the house only pretended to give a shit about Stevens.

So uncomfortable to watch.

by Anonymousreply 102October 25, 2022 2:33 PM

R95 Yes, all Ishiguro's narrators are unreliable and we need to read to suss out what the truth is.

by Anonymousreply 103October 25, 2022 2:47 PM

“One is not struck by the truth until prompted quite accidentally by some external event.”

by Anonymousreply 104October 25, 2022 3:08 PM

I wanted to shit in the mouth of the dickhead who humiliated Stevens

by Anonymousreply 105October 25, 2022 5:19 PM

"When domestic servants are treated as human beings it is not worth while to keep them" - Shaw

by Anonymousreply 106October 25, 2022 6:12 PM

The part where he ate her brains while sipping chianti was unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 107October 25, 2022 6:41 PM

[quote]How Stevens is repeatedly mocked by the obnoxious know-it-all asking him policy questions just to humiliate him for sport. Q.E.D.

I didn't really think it was so much for sport as to prove the point that that common man knows nothing and therefore the important decisions should be left up to the landed gentry types, like him, not even considering that as a servant, Stevens will never express any opinion and certainly one that conflicts his master. I thought that scene hit home how unworthy Darlington was of Steven's devotion and just what a boorish old fool he was. The Emma Thompson character might be too scared to act, but at least she saw Darlington for what he really was

by Anonymousreply 108October 25, 2022 6:55 PM

That was my impression too, r108. I thought Stevens was playing dumb so he wouldn't seem impolite. I think he could have answered those questions if he wanted. I also don't think he was humiliated, even if that guy was being a despicable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 109October 25, 2022 7:39 PM

I agree R108 R109 it was a very I comfortable scene which Hopkins just handled beautifully. He would have been a worthy Oscar winner that year too. If Shadowlands had come out in a separate year he would have justly been nominated for that too. Remarkable talent

by Anonymousreply 110October 25, 2022 8:44 PM

All good things

by Anonymousreply 111October 25, 2022 9:00 PM

All good things come to a end.

by Anonymousreply 112October 25, 2022 9:28 PM

The American version-

Stevens- Robert De Niro

Miss Kenton- Meryl Streep

Lord Darlington- Kevin Kline

Congressman Lewis- Bill Murray

Reginald- Keanu Reeves

by Anonymousreply 113October 25, 2022 9:43 PM

Father - Charles Durning

by Anonymousreply 114October 25, 2022 9:56 PM

DuPont- James Earl Jones

by Anonymousreply 115October 25, 2022 10:08 PM

R115 Who is 'DuPont'?

by Anonymousreply 116October 25, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote] The American version-

Yes, R113, you need to recast this film with actors from your homeland.

by Anonymousreply 117October 25, 2022 11:09 PM

BTW, I agree with the two people who differed with me on the humiliation scene. Your take is better.

Although I don't know if I believe that the butler could have answered those questions.

His employer's inaction was disgusting either way.

by Anonymousreply 118October 25, 2022 11:21 PM

Oh I just saw the scene where Stevens has to pretend he didn't know the nazi sympathizer that once owned Darlington hall. That must have killed him to lie.

by Anonymousreply 119October 26, 2022 2:39 AM

There is a point where Darlington tries to dismiss Stevens after the second question he fails to answer, but the condescending twat keeps him back for a third, and Darlington accedes to his guest. I took it that Darlington was a little uncomfortable at the scene but ultimately not enough to stand in the way of what he thought he ought to do as host.

Ultimately it's a fascist scene - the guest is arguing against the principles of democracy, and Darlington, despite his unease, is going along with it.

What's also interesting is that the one character who properly stands up to these landed gentlemen with their nazi sympathies is Mr Benn, Miss Kenton's eventual husband: but their life together is portrayed as a disaster and we are given to believe that Miss Kenton would have gotten along much better if she had stayed in service to the landed nobility at Darlington Hall like Stephens did, rather than strike out on her own with a husband trying to make something of himself.

by Anonymousreply 120October 26, 2022 2:41 AM

[quote]we are given to believe that Miss Kenton would have gotten along much better if she had stayed in service to the landed nobility at Darlington Hall like Stephens did, rather than strike out on her own with a husband trying to make something of himself.

But the thing is that we learn that he never made anything of himself. He never had the boarding house. He is portrayed as a failure.

And Miss Kenton only wound up with him, not because of his ambition or love, but because you had given up on Stevens ever asking her to be with him instead.

by Anonymousreply 121October 26, 2022 3:39 AM

If it hadn't been for Miss Kenton's daughter being pregnant, would she have returned to work with Stevens?

by Anonymousreply 122October 26, 2022 8:02 AM

R121 Yes indeed, That's why ultimately, though I love it, I think it's politically a conservative film: full of nostalgia for the Old hierarchical England where gentlemen where gentlemen and the lower orders knew their places. I did get into a very interesting discussion about this on another forum though with someone who believed very strongly it was gently subversive. The 1950s scene where Stevens is confronted by the doctor "Did you agree with his opinions?" is key.

R122 I think so, that's intended to be the last tragic piece of the story.

by Anonymousreply 123October 26, 2022 8:13 AM

What gets me is when Darlington realizes what he has done and is completely out of it. That one scene where Stevens enters his bedroom and Darlington is distraught and haunted by his actions. There are no spoken words.

Anthony Hopkins and James Fox give so much in such a small and silent scene.

by Anonymousreply 124October 26, 2022 11:54 AM

Have to disagree respectfully with r123. I think the whole point of the book and film is that this Edwardian world of old gentlemen - the codes and morality and privilege - are precisely what led certain members of that class to turn a blind eye (or at least be way too tolerant of) fascism. Stevens is implicated in this too, because he remains blissfully in the dark about what his "master" is up to appeasing the Nazis. Even when the Hugh Grant character begs him to see otherwise, Stevens remains blind in the belief Darlington is acting as a gentleman. So I think it's a pretty damning portrait of old English "values".

by Anonymousreply 125October 26, 2022 12:05 PM

So the book/ film is about a life in servitude?

by Anonymousreply 126October 26, 2022 12:31 PM

Thank you all for noting The Unreliable Narrator. I'd never known it as a plot device.

The Unreliable Narrator

[quote]Ishiguro, who favors the first-person viewpoint, is master of the unreliable narrator. Not showboats like notorious con artists Humbert Humbert or Holden Caulfield, who willfully bend facts to their advantage, but law-abiding, everyday people who remain loyal to an ideal even after they realize that the ideal is corrupt. They are unreliable not because they are lying to the reader, but because they are lying to themselves.

[quote]These narrators find comfort and purpose in being a dutiful cog, ignoring the pernicious intent of the machine they serve. It’s only when their world changes — their side loses the war, a daughter kills herself, a new employer craves banter — that they are forced to consider past mistakes. They blink and look away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 26, 2022 12:40 PM

Kazuo Ishiguro's Desert Island Disc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 26, 2022 1:37 PM

Anthony Hopkins Desert Island Disc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 26, 2022 1:37 PM

James Fox on Desert Island Discs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 26, 2022 1:38 PM

Desert Island Discs hosts Emma Thompson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 26, 2022 1:38 PM

James Ivory DID

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 26, 2022 1:39 PM

American actor Christopher Reeve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 26, 2022 1:40 PM

Sue Lawley's DID guest is Hugh Grant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 26, 2022 1:40 PM

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 26, 2022 1:41 PM

Ismail Merchant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 26, 2022 1:41 PM

R127 Yes, it's Ishiguro's biggest plot device and you're always meant to try and decipher what's real. Read "The Artist in the Floating World" next, as someone said it's the flip side of this, a Japanese artist whose work is used for war propaganda and the aftermath of the war on Japan. It's pretty heartbreaking too.

by Anonymousreply 137October 26, 2022 3:31 PM

Thank you, R137. I'm going to move that to the top of the Ishiguro reading list.

Though I may first read "The Remains of the Day" again, based on this thread.

It's been interesting to read the varying interpretations. You move from "Yes, that's how I interpreted it" to "Oh wow, yes, I never thought of that."

Brilliant book. Brilliant movie.

by Anonymousreply 138October 26, 2022 3:53 PM

Can anyone please explain why Stevens was an unreliable narrator?

by Anonymousreply 139October 26, 2022 4:48 PM

He wasn't what I'd call a classic unreliable narrator, who's hiding essential context from the reader or putting forth an illusion, but he relates events and conditions that he didn't understand himself, creating a misleading picture.

Maybe that's "classic unreliable narrator" to some, and I'd like to give some counterexamples of what I consider that to be, but I also think that telling someone who hasn't read a book that the narrator is unreliable is a big spoiler. A lot of the pleasure in reading such a book is the slow dawning that there's someone else behind what the narrator is telling you.

by Anonymousreply 140October 26, 2022 4:55 PM

Yes its not intentional R139, his narration is clouded by the loyalty he has for Lord Darlington so he may underestimate how important things are.

by Anonymousreply 141October 26, 2022 5:24 PM

Excuse me, I meant "something else," not "someone else."

by Anonymousreply 142October 26, 2022 5:25 PM

All first person narrators are unreliable, though to varying degrees. As others have stated, it's the mode that Ishiguro works in, and brilliantly so. I believe the only novel of his that isn't written in the first person is the sly, beautiful, elegiac "The Buried Giant."

by Anonymousreply 143October 26, 2022 5:30 PM

I'm reading that now R143! I am about 70 percent through and really dragging on it, I need to just dig in and finish. Yes, it's not written like his usual fare so it's taking me awhile because I put it down for months at a time. But now I want to re-read "The Artist in the Floating World" so I may do that first.

by Anonymousreply 144October 26, 2022 6:00 PM

I wasn't completely into as I was reading it, R144, especially compared to some of his other works. After I finished it, however, I found myself thinking about it at random moments for months afterwards. It kept coming back to "haunt" me. On my second read, I fell in love with it.

by Anonymousreply 145October 26, 2022 6:04 PM

R145 Did you read "Klara and the Sun"? I loved that too but only read it once so far.

by Anonymousreply 146October 26, 2022 6:36 PM

Someone else already said it, R139, but all first person narrators are unreliable in the way all humans are unreliable because out perspectives are unavoidably subjective.

Stevens in the book is also unreliable because he's emotionally repressed - he has blind spots and incorrect beliefs etc. that he himself doesn't see and therefore cannot inform the reader of their existence.

Someone earlier in this thread posted various passages from the book, which I assumed were posted for that purpose: to show how unreliable a narrator Stevens was. But now that I recall I think they were posted without commentary so it's possible someone was just posting them 'straight' - i.e. as examples of correct beliefs or thinking?

by Anonymousreply 147October 26, 2022 8:41 PM

[quote]I think it's politically a conservative film: full of nostalgia for the Old hierarchical England where gentlemen where gentlemen and the lower orders knew their places

Can you go into this, R123? When I saw the movie I thought it was obviously a critique of that whole world.

by Anonymousreply 148October 26, 2022 8:42 PM

R64 that's so odd - I remember that scene! Hopkins' face just melted - he turned into a timid, hopelessly amorous little boy just with the look in his eyes. An extraordinary accomplishment. I loved both Howards End and Remains of the Day. I loved the book Never Let Me Go - just heart-breaking - but hated the movie.

by Anonymousreply 149October 26, 2022 9:23 PM

I've never read ishiguro but I've always liked him.

by Anonymousreply 150October 26, 2022 10:23 PM

Met him once when he accompanied his friend to a meeting, unannounced. Colleagues said I behaved like they would on meeting their football heroes

by Anonymousreply 151October 26, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote] he accompanied his friend

A homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 152October 26, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote]I loved the book Never Let Me Go - just heart-breaking - but hated the movie.

Agreed that the movie wasn't good, though I can't quite explain why when it was such a beautiful story. I guess it's because the British class system & the people who wanted to pacify Hitler is an easier concept to create a watchable 2 hr movie around as opposed to individuals (or clones) raised solely for the purpose of harvesting body parts/i.e. what is it about us that makes us humans. Maybe NLMG would've done better in an HBO-limited series type format, offering more time to lay out a subtle, but complex story.

by Anonymousreply 153October 26, 2022 11:23 PM

[quote]Maybe NLMG would've done better in an HBO-limited series type format, offering more time to lay out a subtle, but complex story.

Well, we will see because it's currently being made into a limited series by FX, with Tracey Ullman and Kelly Macdonald attached to star.

by Anonymousreply 154October 26, 2022 11:37 PM

Kelly Macdonald is like the reincarnation of the late Kay Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 155October 26, 2022 11:39 PM

R148 Well, I'm basing a lot of it on Miss Kenton and her eventual husband, Mr Benn.

Mr Benn is the opposite of Stevens. Firstly, he doesn't take the 'Master knows best' attitude. He condemns 'Sir Geoffrey and his Blackshirts' and eventually leaves his employment, believing in his own right to stand up for himself and speak his beliefs 'If I don't like something, I want to be in a position to stay "Stuff it!"'. There is if I remember correctly a key scene between Benn and Stevens in which Stevens tells Benn that his greatest satisfaction is of being good service to his employer, which Benn demurs at. Later, Benn and Kenton agree that Stevens is wrong to say 'Look after the house and the rest will look after itself' (my quotes won't be precise here). Secondly, Benn actually has the balls to ask Kenton to marry him. Thirdly, he wants to become a self-made man and set up a boarding house together with her. What happens? The boarding house is a disaster, their marriage collapses, and Benn is reduced to crawling to Sally (Kenton) begging her to agree to go together to visit their daughter with him. We are left with the strong implication that she ends up staying with him because she has nothing else she can do. She acknowledges at the end that she has made 'a terrible waste of her life' by deciding to leave Darlington Hall and marry him. Why did the small business plan and the being master of your own life dream collapse for them? We are meant to feel that, but for the tragedy of circumstance and her daughter's pregnancy at the end, she would have been better off back in employment and serving the upper-classes with Stevens, but it's too late to turn the clock back.

Secondly more for cinematographic reasons. Consider the bright, sharp colours, the activity and energy, the thriving house and the handsome young servants (Chaplin, Headley, etc), even funny Mr Cardinal in the 1930s scenes. The montage that follows Stevens' claim that 'in England, order and tradition still prevail'. Now contrast that with the 1950s scenes. Darlington Hall has been saved and has a new master, Mr Lewis. Yet the colour palette is washed-out and depressing, it all seems darker and dingier, there are endless scenes of the house covered in dust protectors looking well past its best, the magic isn't coming back. Mr Lewis is a decent chap but he's a rich, somewhat vulgar American, haute bourgeoisie/nouveau riche rather than aristocracy, he has different values ('the professionals'), and he'll never seem in his right place in the house like Lord Darlington did. Stevens' new housekeeper (a matron at a boys' preparatory school) sounds smart and competent but she'll never replace Miss Kenton. The war cost England too much and it will never recapture its former glory. The pigeon which flies away at the end symbolises a lost love but also the glory of a lost era.

I do think R125 is right to note that the film points up the flaws of the old English values of decency, honesty etc and how they led 'gullible' Lord Darlington to be taken in by the Nazis (again in contrast to the book where I'm told he is portrayed as much more enthusiastically a Nazi himself) but nevertheless that doesn't preclude the film essentially being a work of nostalgia, longing for a world which it nonetheless recognises could not survive modernity, but which will always be a lot better than that which replaced it.

by Anonymousreply 156October 27, 2022 1:42 PM

Yawn

by Anonymousreply 157October 27, 2022 1:43 PM

Wow, R156, I want to go see movies with you and go for coffee afterwards.

Thanks for the insights.

(Though I often wonder about scenes such as with the pigeon - did James Ivory story board that, or did a pigeon just randomly happen to fly through the shot? I wonder how often I'm seeing "things" that aren't really meaningful. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Though now that I think of it, it's James Ivory, so he probably had a point.)

by Anonymousreply 158October 27, 2022 1:58 PM

No problem! The pigeon is much more important. Lewis and Stevens capture it in the final scene, then Stevens throws it outside and as it flies away we see Darlington Hall diminishing in the distance, almost as if the camera has been mounted on the pigeon - a reversal of the first establishing shot in which the camera approaches the hall.

by Anonymousreply 159October 27, 2022 2:05 PM

[quote]The boarding house is a disaster, their marriage collapses, and Benn is reduced to crawling to Sally (Kenton) begging her to agree to go together to visit their daughter with him.

This is an interesting point; in Hollywood terms, the (attempted) self-made man (a man of post-war Britain) should be the hero of this story. Instead, ee ends up as kind of a pathetic loser. And his wife is sorry she ever left service. So for as much as this story is an indictment of "the old way (Darlington)", it doesn't seem to think too much of the "new way" either

by Anonymousreply 160October 27, 2022 2:07 PM

Here's where I would slightly differ: just because Mr. Benn and Miss. Kenton end up in a failed marriage does not therefore imply that staying with Stevens/old world would have been better. I think the film has a profoundly bleak outlook - the whole world of Stevens and Darlington was a moral failure and ends in ruin. But the life of commoners in postwar Britain was no joy either - remember that the modern day scenes of Miss Kenton and Mr. Benn are essentially contemporaneous with the emerging John Osborne/British kitchen sink drama era. And let's of course not forget that Miss Kenton chooses Mr. Benn because he is decisive in his desire for her - not because she was so madly in love with him. But that he had acted where Mr. Stevens could not because of his repression. By the time her loveless marriage has fallen apart, she is ready to go back into service, longing for those days of yore, and yes perhaps the comfort/nostalgia of this vanishing upper class world. But it's too late - her daughter is pregnant and she decides she needs to stay in the unhappy life she chose. But, again, I don't think the film is suggesting at all that she should have - or would have been happier - if she'd stayed at Darlington Hall. At least she has a family, a daughter, and grandchild on the way. Whereas Stevens is left, in the end, with absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 161November 4, 2022 11:51 AM

Well, the tone of the movie has to be one of "failure."

Whichever "side" you're on, Britain was a poor, broke country at the end of WW2. The movie portrayed it as such. There was a link drawn between people who *prolonged* the inevitable conflict by collaborating with the Nazis.

Churchill was correct. If we had bombed Germany after its invasion of the Rhineland in 1936, they would not have had to strength to conquer all of Europe. So the movie was more a condemnation of people who believe in false ideals. Mr Stevens believing in service at any cost, and Lord Darlington believing in the Nazis.

The pigeon to me was more a sign of hope. The end of the movie was extremely depressing. I was glad to escape the house on the "wings of a pigeon" as it were, to get away from that atmosphere of death and loss.

by Anonymousreply 162November 4, 2022 11:55 AM

The pigeon is a common, city bird that falls down the chimney of that elegant old mansion.

Yet at least it has wings to fly away from that crumbling ruin. Perhaps represents the common man.

by Anonymousreply 163November 4, 2022 11:58 AM

Very insightful R161; "bleak" seems to be the overriding tone in all of Ishiguro's work. After reading "Never Let Me Go" - a book that really stays with you - I kept thinking about: did it really matter that Kathy, Tommy & Ruth were brought up in this school, encouraged to develop talents & skills, when it was all going to end the same anyway? There was no escaping the inevitable, despite the fantasy they'd cooked up about "being in love" Was Ruth any less courageous for raging against her fate when Kathy especially accepted it and even welcomed it? RoTD is easier to get your head around because it involves a historical period (mostly) familiar to people, whereas the concept of "disposable" clones is harder to get your head around (even though there are all kinds of people society considers "disposable")

by Anonymousreply 164November 4, 2022 3:43 PM

R161, Yes, I think we're broadly on the same page here. The old order had to die, and we can't go back to what it was like before, because the world is now run by people like Mr Lewis, and not Lord Darlington. But by the end of the film, the two central characters do nothing except look back, with nostalgia, at a past they have come to idealise, and nothing (in the narrative, or in the subtext or cinematography) gives us any reason to really believe in or be hopeful for the future.

by Anonymousreply 165November 4, 2022 9:08 PM

I can't imagine Streep and Irons in the two leads, especially the latter. Thank God that didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 166November 4, 2022 9:58 PM

Last thing I will say. When Kenton says goodbye to Stevens for the last time - he gives her this sweet little farewell speech - and as the bus pulls away, Miss Kenton starts sobbing hysterically, almost like a teenager. It is one of the most heartbreaking moments in any movie ever. Stevens seems almost oblivious. Miss Kenton in that moment is the only one who seems fully to grasp the tragedy of their failed lives and love.

by Anonymousreply 167November 5, 2022 12:19 PM

[quote]Stevens seems almost oblivious.

Good point, though being oblivious seems like both a blessing & a curse to Stevens. He's so caught up in duty that he can't see the forest for the trees, but he also doesn't seem to feel the tragedy and wastefulness of it all the way the others do.

by Anonymousreply 168November 5, 2022 4:53 PM

Helen Mirren wanted the Miss Kenton role but negotiations broke down over nudity

by Anonymousreply 169November 5, 2022 5:00 PM

R169 to be air, Bob Altman cut her nude scene out of Gosford Park.

by Anonymousreply 170November 5, 2022 6:40 PM

R7 An assistant director held a hidden plastic pipe and squeezed it behind his head.

Just like they used a similar, thicker, pipe behind Murray Bartlett's buttocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 5, 2022 9:43 PM

Do people get a thrill out of derailing thoughtful threads? Does it make them feel better about themselves?

Just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 172November 5, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote] derailing thoughtful threads

Who are you taking about, R172?

Give us their R number!

by Anonymousreply 173November 5, 2022 11:00 PM

Gorgeous film.

by Anonymousreply 174January 2, 2023 7:02 PM

Wow. So much good discussion.

My question- who is your favorite character?

Stevens, Miss Kenton, Lord Darlington, Reginald Darlington, Mr. Stevens Sr., Mr. Benn, or Senator Jack Lewis

by Anonymousreply 175January 2, 2023 7:03 PM

[quote] I watched it a few months ago and I couldn't figure out if he was suppressing his personality or if he never developed one to begin with.

Don't be so 20th century, R88!

Good servants don't have "personalities". They are invisible entities that cook food and serve it. They are the 'ghosts' that do the housework and the gardening.

by Anonymousreply 176January 2, 2023 7:08 PM

Lord Darlington was foul for what he did to those Jewish girls

by Anonymousreply 177January 2, 2023 7:25 PM

R177 Yes. Just like most German sympathizers, Darlington was a well educated, aristocratic gentleman who knew about art, literature, opera, and world travel. Which also makes his views even more sad, foul, and horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 178January 2, 2023 7:43 PM

Good servants should have as much personality as the wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 179January 2, 2023 8:31 PM

R175

Decision paralysis, after I easily narrow it down to Stevens and Miss Kenton.

by Anonymousreply 180January 2, 2023 8:57 PM

A relatively minor scene I like, which tells us a lot about their relationship is the scene where Kenton catches Stevens surreptitiously checking out Lizzie, and teasingly confronts him about it 'You don't like pretty girls on the staff, I've noticed', and his reply signals that he knows exactly what she is getting at but is taking it in good humour: 'You know what I'm doing Miss Kenton? I'm placing my thoughts elsewhere while you chatter away'. That gives the lie to claims that Stevens is totally oblivious of the subtle, emotionally charged situations he finds himself in.

R175 I'd probably say I like Kenton's character slightly better than Stevens, if only because she manages to score these points every now and again.

by Anonymousreply 181January 3, 2023 12:09 AM

Stevens all the way for me, but that probably a lot to do with how effortlessly charming Anthony Hopkins is, even in roles that really don't require it. Maybe it's that voice and those eyes!

by Anonymousreply 182January 3, 2023 4:00 AM

I get this confused with Howard’s End.

by Anonymousreply 183January 3, 2023 4:19 AM

[quote] James Fox was pretty in the 1960s. But if you look at his televised interviews you will see that he is a mere shell of a man. He's sometimes incapable of forming a sentence

This Christian interview is 1895 with another prettier ex-actor Christian named Paul Jones.

You can see his embarrassment, pain and confusion and he talks about patriotism, Christianity and dislike of immorality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184January 3, 2023 4:23 AM

R184 awkward

by Anonymousreply 185January 3, 2023 4:34 AM

Beautifully done. A bit long just to show they lived miserable lives then died.

by Anonymousreply 186January 3, 2023 5:03 PM

[quote] Great movie

[quote] James Fox is great

[quote] are great companion

[quote] a great role

So Christopher Reeves had a great role to play, but did he play it greatly?

by Anonymousreply 187January 3, 2023 10:50 PM

I am in the minority, but I think Reeves was miscast, though that doesn't affect my opinion that this is one of the finest movies I've ever seen.

Also not sure whether I don't like him as an actor, or if I truly think he was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 188January 3, 2023 11:04 PM

^ He wasn't an actor. He had the appearance and vivacity of a brick wall.

by Anonymousreply 189January 3, 2023 11:24 PM

Who would you have cast as the American, Jack Lewis then? In the novel he is described as attractive.

Kurt Russell? Ryan O'Neal? Patrick Swayze? Jeff Bridges?

by Anonymousreply 190January 4, 2023 12:22 AM

Of those choices, Jeff Bridges. Had never thought of him. I think he would have been perfect.

Reeves being miscast is an anomaly I think. Ivory/Merchant production casts are usually spot on.

I'll settle on miscast, because he's not a good actor. I don't even think he looked the part. He never looked a serious character and less so that he would be the type that would be interested in revitalizing Darlington Hall.

by Anonymousreply 191January 4, 2023 1:27 AM

Christopher Reeve was also in The Bostonians. He was good there.

by Anonymousreply 192January 4, 2023 2:08 AM

James Ivory from a Vanity Fair interview...

[quote]...and Christopher Reeve was “very thoughtful.” Reeve, Ivory continues, “was so associated with Superman by [the time of] The Remains of the Day [in 1993], and some audiences did not take him seriously.” Ivory calls Reeve’s performance in 1984’s The Bostonians “positively Rhett Butler.”

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of Reeves in 'The Remains of the Day', and I don't remember from reading his books how much influence he had on casting. But he does agree with R192 on his performance in 'The Bostonians.'

by Anonymousreply 193January 4, 2023 12:56 PM

I like Reeve in this film. During the 1950's years he looked like Burt Lancaster

by Anonymousreply 194January 4, 2023 3:10 PM

Should Anthony have won a second Oscar for this?

by Anonymousreply 195January 4, 2023 7:08 PM

R195 yes

by Anonymousreply 196January 4, 2023 9:03 PM

So Tom Hanks doesn't win for Philadelphia?

by Anonymousreply 197January 4, 2023 9:27 PM

R195 here’s the revote

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 4, 2023 10:54 PM

Hopkins was up against three strong contenders (1994); Daniel Day Lewis (In the Name of the Father), Laurence Fishburne (What's Love Got...), and Liam Neeson (Schindler's List).

The weakest nominee - Tom Hanks (Philadelphia) - won on a 'sympathy' vote, for lack of a better term.

Hopkins did win a BAFTA and other various Best Actor awards for that role.

I don't know if I could make an argument that he should have gotten it over the others. Would I have given it to him? Probably, but that is based on my appreciation of the movie, which is not the way a Best Actor performance should be decided.

by Anonymousreply 199January 4, 2023 11:58 PM

Question:

Was Reginald Lord Darlington's son or nephew? I can't remember.

Was Lord Darlington a homosexual? It never mentioned his wife or a lover in the book or film.

by Anonymousreply 200October 28, 2023 4:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!