Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best Actor Oscar revote: 1993

Following on from our "The Remains Of The Day" thread when Anthony Hopkins' performance was so highly praised, let's comment on who was the most deserving victor for the Oscar that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2023 11:32 PM

Hopkins. I’m guessing he came in second to Hanks. Hanks had a big year with Philadelphia and Sleepless in Seattle. Plus the Academy wanted to show they were socially aware of AIDS. I’m glad Hopkins won his second one recently that he was owed in 93.

by Anonymousreply 1January 4, 2023 10:56 PM

That's hard. Day-Lewis, Fishburne, Hanks, Hopkins, and Neeson, all gave damn good performances.

by Anonymousreply 2January 4, 2023 11:06 PM

None of them. Tommy Lee Jones was a lead in The Fugitive and should have won the corresponding Oscar, clearing the way for Ralph Fiennes to get the true Supporting Actor Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3January 4, 2023 11:10 PM

Hopkins for Lead, Fiennes for Supporting

by Anonymousreply 4January 4, 2023 11:12 PM

Very stacked year

by Anonymousreply 5January 4, 2023 11:14 PM

And Stockard Channing and Rosie Perez should have won on the distaff side.

by Anonymousreply 6January 4, 2023 11:15 PM

R3, I like the way you think. Those are the two best performances of that year, and it's so difficult to choose between them. Your way solves that problem.

by Anonymousreply 7January 4, 2023 11:22 PM

I remember Neeson was generally considered Hanks' biggest competition. I'd vote for Hopkins, because it's one of the best performances I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 8January 4, 2023 11:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!