Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bo Buchanan: "Fraternity Road" producer or Llanview's police commissioner?

Posting for an elderdyke who calls herself Ada's Dish Rag and wonders whether Asa bought Bo's way in as PC. (See r 109 in the old thread.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318September 5, 2022 10:55 AM

I have heard it's true that when Christine Jones joined as Sheila Rafferty in 1976, more than one cast member remarked 'She should have been cast as Vikki in the first place.' She was stork like, and had striking features and cheekbones, the very embodiment of the Vikki Agnes created. She could wear long caftans and all the 70's Halston outfits that could never put on the dumpy Erika Slezak.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2022 4:32 PM

Christine was breath of fresh air playing Viki for those six months she subbed for pregnant La Sleastack

I'd only been watching OLTL for a couple of years at that point, but from what I had seen, Viki was a dull-as-dishwater character who looked matronly who served as the last connection to one of core families. I figured they kept her around to maintain that connection to the show's roots, much like AW kept the yawn-inducing Pat Randolph character around for her connection to that show's core family. Perhaps Viki had been an exciting character when the show debuted, but here 12 years later, she was stale and boring. The Pat Randolph character on AW was in similar state, originally exciting, but now stale.

Suddenly, when Christine was playing her, Viki became dynamic and electric. I was fascinated to watch her. I suddenly cared about Viki and what happened to her. Others viewers were feeling the same way as evidenced in some of the letters in the soap magazines.

I assumed the show would keep Christine as Viki and dump La Sleastack. It had certainly been done on other shows in the past. And the threat of that happening was something that kept actresses in line; reluctant to get pregnant and when they did, reluctant to ask for too much maternity leave for fear of being written out permanently or replaced permanently by the substitute .

But show stuck by Sleastack and she returned to the role. However, I think the possibility that she'd lose her job to Christine Jones scared her shitless, as it should have. She upped her game and started giving better performances. Much better performances. The writers began noticing that and gave better storylines to Viki.

Within a few years, Viki became the center of the show. That's something that would have never happened if La Sleastack hadn't upped her game as a result of Christine Jones doing such a good job as her sub.

by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2022 5:30 PM

In the 1989 uploads, we're now up to the baby swap having been revealed, on 9/11/89, no less.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2022 6:24 PM

Fraternity Road?

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2022 7:57 PM

Thanks, OP!

So I hopped over to some 1993 uploads and the show is on fire! This is my favorite era of the show. I'm enjoying it better than I did the 1989 uploads (though I do miss Gabrielle and Andrea Evans' version of Tina).

Mia Korf's Blair is a revelation. Too bad she's on her way out. She lit Asa up in front of the whole town and stupidly admitted to fucking Max on her wedding dress right before marrying Asa. So good! Good and stupid -- that's my Blair, no matter who plays her. Poor thang.

Jimmy DePaiva is still doing his Shouty McYellerson routine. Max is such a douche. He's a hot douche, but I always forget that when he starts acting self righteous. Don't understand him and Luna, but it's a good thing. Max always shits on my favorite female characters, so I'm glad he's with someone I don't care about. I like Elaine Princi's restrained version of Dorian. She's very good. Marty is drinking and slutting around town. Kevin, Todd, Powell, and Zack leer at her from their seats at Rodis. Lots of tension.

Bo and Nora are now flirting and I'm unclear on what he's up to now; that's why I asked the OP to start this thread. Don't know whether he's still producing soaps or if he is on the force yet. He was in the police station in the December 1992 episode I watched, but I got the impression he didn't work there yet.

Just trying to get a timeline of how Bo jumped from a TV producer to the commander of Llanview's police force.

by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2022 8:26 PM

Christine Jones received more fan mail when she was Viki than Miss Slee received.

by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2022 8:50 PM

R5- I am now of the opposite viewpoint- despite the show looking amazing and the Marty Saybrooke/Alex stories being really excellent, I find this Gottlieb era to be utterly boring bullshit. It's just so stodgy and boring. And this is coming from a huge Y&R fan- only other soap I really watched other than OLTL. I am so glad that you are digging Mia Korf- I LOVED her. People think she was horrible, but I really liked her then and now. And Nora was the only other great part of Gottlieb's tenure. Nora, Blair, Alex/Carlo, Marty- Pretty much it. And I did like Andrew. It was refreshing to have a minister as a main character- I really liked Andrew.

I have had to admit to myself that I am a fan of the trashtastic and brightly lit Rauch era- by a mile. (and the 85-88 Rauch was actually quite a damn good show)

And check out James DePaiva in the Gabrielle/Baby Switch storyline episode that was uploaded yesterday (from 9/11/89) he was an absolutelyhorrendous actor. Nearly Ron Moss bad. That episode in particular- he was godawful. Not a fan of his wife either.

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2022 8:51 PM

And this Christine Jones fan troll cracks me the hell up.

I believe its the Kathy Glass Troll/Slezak is a Ham Troll/I finger myself to Christine Jones troll.

Same bitch.

by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2022 8:52 PM

I finger myself to Sleestack! Said no one ever. That bulldog face. At least Katherine Glass and all of her fan mail made her #1 in the polls! A feat that has never been broken.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2022 9:05 PM

R9- Yes- and I also suspect you are that SON loon as well. How may IP addresses do you have?

Post a picture of Schoche Marin- please.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2022 9:13 PM

I watched that episode yesterday, R7. Watching Gabrielle as she was pummeled by Michael Grande was heartbreaking, but so, so real. Do they do stuff like that on soaps today? Doubtful. They're too busy catering to social media warriors and fanbases. Michael beat her mercilessly. It was a lot to digest, but so mesmerizing.

I've never liked Max as a character. He's sleazy to me, but can be entertaining. I like Kassie DePaiva a lot. I think her Blair is an archetype that I recognize and enjoy. She's no master thespian, but she always had the ability to make me feel for her character. I can't say the same for her real-life husband.

And yes, Mia Korf is wonderful! People think she was bad? Really? I couldn't take my eyes off her. She's stunning and dynamic. She totally fills the screen no matter who she's up against. I love Kassie, but if Mia had remained Blair, I would have been perfectly satisfied.

Glad you're enjoying the 1989 episodes. They're definitely their own thing. There was just too much Sarah for me. I don't care about what happens to her, and since she ate so much of the show during that time, I find myself either rolling my eyes or fast-forwarding. Her sister, Megan, is better. But I haven't really connected with her. That's bad since she's set to take the baton in the Gordon Girls' relay now that Sarah is being rested.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2022 9:15 PM

[quote]I also suspect you are that SON loon as well.

Yes, this loon contains legions.

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2022 9:19 PM

How did Bo go from TV producer to law enforcement? Talk about a man of all trades and a master of none!

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2022 9:44 PM

[quote]And this Christine Jones fan troll cracks me the hell up.

I'm embarrassed to admit that the teen fan mail and Toyota Tercel, get me every time. It's funny to me because it so absurd. I saw Kathy Glass on The Doctors, how was she connecting with teens so much?

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2022 10:44 PM

No- Lil and the Tercel and her termination by an intern in the parking garage gives me life. Every. time.

Agreed!

the Kathy Glass troll goes back many years. I believe the SON Loon is one of many.

The original used that hilarious "largest female fanmail ever accumulated in the ABC Daypart" It was clear that he/she was someone who was at least 70 with a great sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2022 10:50 PM

I love Mia’s Blair. She had this underlying mischievousness that worked for her character. Dorian knew that Blair was trying to undermine her and Blair acted coy about it. But she really wanted to shout “yes bitch I’m gunning for you.” Or when Tina was all riled up about Blair breaking up her and Cain.

When Kassie was introduced, Southern Blair was surrounded by boy toys in Miami. Stupid, stupid and stupid. That’s not who Blair was. And it’s why Southern Blair was often an afterthought in her own storylines throughout her 18 year run.

Fiona Hutchinson should’ve been nominated for an Emmy for the baby switch storyline. She is incredible. Thankfully she got her just due on Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 16April 30, 2022 4:39 AM

Kassie DePaiva got 20 years on a soap largely because she got paired with Roger Howarth at the height of his soapdom. I like her Blair. But I found Asian Blair endlessly interesting. The fact that she was a bad girl going up against heavyweights made her fascinating to a young gayling like me.

by Anonymousreply 17April 30, 2022 4:46 AM

Was Mia's Blair one of "the Cramer women," or did that start with Kassie?

by Anonymousreply 18April 30, 2022 5:00 AM

Blair was always at war with Dorian until Depaiva. It wasn't until some plot that required Dorian helping Blair in one of her schemes that they became allies. And then became close.

by Anonymousreply 19April 30, 2022 5:04 AM

Slee was such a lazy actress. She never wanted to work and always whined about needing a vacation.

by Anonymousreply 20April 30, 2022 1:49 PM

Mia Korf was fine as Blair. She should never have been canned but Gottlieb had some bug up her twat and fired her.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2022 3:33 PM

I thought Slee tried to do a good job, but after Jones subbed for her, the Specter of Christine lingered. CJ looked like she could have on the cover of Cosmo, while poor, downtrodden Erika was strictly Modern Maturity.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2022 3:55 PM

Didn't Bo use his military background to qualify for his Police Chief role? I guess the producers wanted to give him a role in Llanview other than rich handsome playboy businessman.

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2022 7:43 PM

The SON loon has at least 4 account, possibly more.

One is dedicated to a persona insisting that she, Scoche Marin, is mere minutes away from her first airdate as the new Katharine Chancellor.

The other three seem to talk about any variation of the following topics:

- Snatches being eaten

- Foot fetishes, but without having an understanding of how one works

- Daytime actresses who have had a DUI

- Daytime actresses who clogged the studio toilets

- Any number of posters on SON, most of who we do not know. He's now mentioning a woman who posts at SON, and is the partner of a former Digest columnist. She is in the advance stages of a chronic disease/neurological issue, and he's harassing her. He's fucking around, and he is very much about to find out.

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2022 7:51 PM

R23, I just watched a January 1993 episode where Max talked Bo into buying the radio station Luna worked at. Max referred to Bo as a businessman.

As late as 1989 Rafe Garretson was the chief of the LPD. I did notice, however, that during the hunt for Michael Grande, officers referred to Rafe as "Captain." Commissioner, Bo's title, is higher in rank.

by Anonymousreply 25April 30, 2022 8:08 PM

Marty is in spectacular free-fall in these January 1993 episodes. She just tried to break up Cassie and Andrew's wedding. Luckily, Viki stepped in. Had no idea she was so nuts before her rape-redemption arc.

She's erratic and drunk most of the time. Ryan Phillipe's main role is to shake his finger at her.

by Anonymousreply 26April 30, 2022 11:21 PM

That's what made her story so compelling. When something terrible happened to her no one could believe her. She was an awful mess that even spread a horrible rumor that set off a bad series of events in the whole town. Fantastic dialogue from the trial M:"I was not responsible for Sarah's death. I was nowhere near that accident." N:"No you weren't. But you still lied about it. Doesn't that say something Miss Saybrooke? That even when you're innocent, your first impulse is to lie?" M:"But when no one believes you no matter what you say.."N;"Its like the little boy that cried wolf" M:"Yes" N:"Or rape?"

by Anonymousreply 27April 30, 2022 11:38 PM

Yep, R27. Definitely compelling. Susan Haskell is killing this. When Marty visited Cassie before the wedding, I was afraid for Cassie because of Marty's single-minded intensity. She's in the middle of a nervous breakdown and things will only get worse with the upcoming rape storyline.

by Anonymousreply 28April 30, 2022 11:43 PM

Weren't Marty and Todd fucking before the rape?

by Anonymousreply 29May 1, 2022 2:28 AM

R29 yes. Complicated things more for her. Marty was very promiscuous when she was eaped.

by Anonymousreply 30May 1, 2022 2:30 AM

Just saw that episode. After they slept together, Marty asked Todd to stay a while; she obviously didn't want to be alone. Todd told her to "comb her hair or something," and left. Marty freaked because she's losing hair due to lupus. She did comb her hair, losing strands in the brush. She screamed and broke the mirror when she saw the hair loss.

by Anonymousreply 31May 1, 2022 9:00 AM

Everyone is rightfully ignoring that nutcase KooKoosadora over at SON. What a fucken loon!!!

by Anonymousreply 32May 1, 2022 5:03 PM

I had no idea Anna Holbrook (Sharlene Frame Hudson, Another World) was on One Life to Live! Her character, Lindsay, is sniffing around a depressed Clint, who is in the middle of losing Viki to Sloan Carpenter in these February 1993 episodes. Viki's acting snippy with Lindsay, but she's got some nerve, especially since she's been sneaking around Llanview getting her groove back with the General!

Watching Erika attempt to play passion is kinda funny. She's all aflutter. She confessed to Tina that she's "absolutely obsessed" with Sloan. Meanwhile, she still looks and acts like her same matronly, icy self. I guess she's melting on the inside.

I love all these characters that seem lost to history -- Leann, Jason Webb, Cain Rogan, etc. None lasted that long, but they really added to the canvas. They made Llanview seem real.

by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2022 1:18 PM

What I never understood about Viki's DID is that the cure is integration. After she was integrated why didn't we see more of Niki come out from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2022 1:44 PM

Miss Sleestack was the MOST best actresses of them all!!!

by Anonymousreply 35May 2, 2022 4:11 PM

Christine Jones would have 20 Emmys had she continued as Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 36May 2, 2022 5:17 PM

ES is the MS of Daytime. SL was the GC, but then she won.

by Anonymousreply 37May 2, 2022 6:27 PM

Jerry ver Dorn had died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 2, 2022 10:40 PM

I was never a big fan of Clint Ritchie's Clint, but it's obvious that TPTB threw him under the bus to give Viki an excuse to run to Sloan. Suddenly Clint is violent and out of control (in these February 1993 episodes?) Since when? Unless I missed something, that seems highly out of character. Why couldn't the couple have simply grown apart, as was apparent, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2022 9:22 PM

Agreed Ada's Dish Rag. It was a real kick in the cunt what Malone did to Clint's character.

I am like a broken record, but this Gottlieb era leaves alot to be desired in many ways.

And I stand by- it is STODGY and BORING. (Most of it)

Susan Haskell and Hilary B Smith (And Tonja Walker) were the saving graces.. And I actually never minded Susan Batten as Luna. And of course Andrew.

The Todd phenomenon meant nothing to me one way or the other- I never got this guy's appeal.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2022 9:27 PM

Ritchie wasn’t pleased by Clint’s about face either. He felt that a newspaper man would not be the homophobe suddenly turned out to be.

I did not care for Jerry verDorn’s take on Clint. The show had the habit of recasting with names that didn’t make sense. He could’ve been a new character.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2022 9:51 PM

R40, I like that we can have conversations where we can agree to disagree about certain things. I'm raising through this era at a very fast clip because I'm enjoying it so much. Meanwhile, I pretty much abandoned the 1989 episodes I started watching a couple of months back because they'd become a chore. That period did have its bright spots, of course. Just not enough to hold my interest for very long.

Jerry totally should have been a new character, R41. He was Clint in name only. I did, however, enjoy watching him camp it up after so many years of him playing Ross, who only got to raise his voice when he was yelling at his cuckolding young wife.

That reminds me of my issue with Blake: I actually liked Liz Keifer, but she's another actor I believe was wrong for the role. She was very warm, while Stringfield's Blake was ice-cold. I accepted Keifer, though, because I'd only been watching the show about a year when she took over. Now re-watching, I realize that Blake really lost something with the recast. She transformed from a driven business woman in charge of her life into Ross's wife, a woman who couldn't control her sexual urges (dalliances with Rick and Ben) and a mommy who wrote romances on the side.

Of course those changes weren't Keifer's fault; yet I don't believe the character would have taken that route had Stringfield continued in the role. In fact, I doubt Blake/Ross would have even made it down the aisle, much less become a tentpole couple.

Guiding Light is off topic in this thread, so I'll end by saying: I'm surprised by how much I like Karen Witter's Tina. It amuses me to watch her attempts to rein in Cain. It's like Tina is playing the Cord role during this era.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2022 10:09 PM

OH DEAR!

*racing not raising

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2022 10:11 PM

I'm watching episodes from 1998 and the writers turned Kevin Buchanan into a real ass. I find myself rooting for Barbara Graham to kill Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2022 10:43 PM

[quote] Ritchie wasn’t pleased by Clint’s about face either. He felt that a newspaper man would not be the homophobe suddenly turned out to be.

He isn't wrong and I think it would have been very powerful if cowboy Clint had been accepting of homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2022 12:37 AM

College professor here. On Monday, I had a student tell me that she has DiD and couldn't do her presentation because the alter there with with hadn't been in my class this semester.

All I could think of was Slee.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2022 4:01 AM

R46 I think the decline of soaps is partly responsible for things, today. When people had soaps they could live out their fantasies vicariously now they have to make life their own reality show.

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2022 4:16 AM

Victoria Sleestack would not like that at Tall!

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2022 4:37 AM

I'm surprised John Loprieno isn't mentioned more when the worst actors are discussed. Probably because of the hotness. He's really, really, really bad in these 1993 episodes. Not surprised to see he's now teaching acting. He, along with Drake Hogestyn and Ronn Moss, could have started their own acting school: The Heavy Breathing, Heaving Chests, and Half-Opened Shirts Academy for Dramatic Arts.

by Anonymousreply 49May 11, 2022 12:38 PM

Ada Hobson has the stinkiest snatch.

by Anonymousreply 50May 11, 2022 12:53 PM

You loved my lady lunch!

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2022 12:56 PM

Nothing against John L., but you kinda have to wonder why Tina kept being drawn to Cord. Okay, aside from his body.

by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2022 12:59 PM

That was from me, Aunt Lez. And if you must attack me, please be sure to do so on the P&G threads were such attacks will be more appreciated.

Back to OLTL: Alex Olanov spent more time looking for a partner than actually committing any good scams/thefts. She would have been more successful if she'd come up with new plans instead of gloming on to men.

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2022 12:59 PM

R2 , Viki was a dull-as-dishwater character who looked matronly That was the character. She was supposed to be dowdy, as opposed to flashy Niki Smith. Jill Spencer played her the same way, but could glam it up as Daisy on AMC.

by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2022 1:05 PM

Even I can appreciate the sight of John Loprieno in a speedo, R52. THAT is the ONLY reason Tina suffered under his tantrums and haranguing as long as she did. That over-stuffed speedo, alongside the Buchanan name and money. Cord was a real fucking downer; he spent most of their relationship lecturing her about changing her ways.

I actually like Karen Witter's Tina with Cain, but the show almost turned her into Cord to make it work. Now she's the one berating Cain about becoming a better person.

by Anonymousreply 55May 11, 2022 1:08 PM

To answer your question, no. No had turned his back on the Buchanan bucks and made his own millions, mainly in amusement parks, broadcasting and records. When the police commissioner was caught steeling they asked Bo to take over on the theory he’d never steel because he was already had lotsa money. Supposedly he was going to be a glorified pencil pusher, but he insisted on being a real hands on police officer, even though totally unqualified beyond a stint in Nam ad an MP. It was one of those soap devices where a character suddenly had skills and experience that appeared out of thin air.

by Anonymousreply 56May 11, 2022 1:16 PM

Hey Victoria Fuckton - go the fuck away! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 57May 11, 2022 1:26 PM

Thanks, R56, for the history lesson.

Anyone remember how Rafe Garrisson left the show? If he was still alive, he should have gone after Bo for stealing the job that was rightfully his. Rafe put in the time and solved all the crimes! Yet Bo got the cushy gig?

by Anonymousreply 58May 11, 2022 1:43 PM

The old witch Strassman is going off about Paul Rauch. Is there anyone she didn’t clash with?

by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2022 2:17 PM

Anyone watching the latest 1989 episodes and getting really sick of how Viki's treating Clint? Look, either hook up with Roger or don't. I will say that this scenario is less contrived than how she got together with Sloan.

by Anonymousreply 60May 12, 2022 12:28 AM

I love how the internet is allowing us to watch various periods at the same time. It's The One Life to Live Multiverse. It's chaos!

by Anonymousreply 61May 12, 2022 10:31 AM

Watching these old episodes are really reminding me of why I got hooked when I was young. I almost forgot how often characters simply left town when their storylines came to their natural conclusions. In the four months beginning 1993, so far, Blair and Leann have left town. We all know that Blair will return, but when she left, it was with little fanfare and felt right after her divorce from Asa. Especially since, other than Cassie, she had not a friend left in town.

In the last twenty years, it seems that soap writers would rather kill off people than allow them to take a breather elsewhere. And that's only because they usually plan on bringing them back from the dead.

by Anonymousreply 62May 12, 2022 3:37 PM

Florencia Lozano (Tea Delgado) was interviewed on The Locher Room today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 13, 2022 11:03 PM

Tea was a character I only learned to like with Trevor St. Jon's Todd/Victor.

by Anonymousreply 64May 13, 2022 11:09 PM

If you ever wondered whatever happened to the actor who played Jamie Sanders (Mark Philpot)

Video update below

and you will be surprised - but I only say that because he played such an EVIL & NASTY character

But that is why they call it acting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2022 2:05 PM

Since this is about Robert S Woods Bo on OLTL, what's the real scoop on why he left OLTL in 1086 to play Paul on Days of Our Lives?

I mean he literally packed up and moved to the other side of the country to do DAYS from 1986-1987

I was watching old DAYS episodes from that time and he has a dramatic wife named Barbara who died, and they were definitely chem testing Woods with Kimberly Brady and then Genie Francis ' Diana Colviille

1987 is weird on DAYS, you have Bob Woods, Genie Francis and Jane Elliot as Angelica Devereaux all on the show and in front burner stories, all ABC soap stars

by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote] Since this is about Robert S Woods Bo on OLTL, what's the real scoop on why he left OLTL in 1086 to play Paul on Days of Our Lives? I mean he literally packed up and moved to the other side of the country to do DAYS from 1986-1987

He left OLTL NOT to join Days, but to break into Primetime & Film. But when you move to L.A. you literally sit by the phone and wait. The role of Paul Stewart on "Days of our Lives" dropped in his lap, and they promised him "outs" for pilot season and any guest spots

So he could either continue to sit by the phone, or do "Days", make money and still pursue pilot season.

He did one pilot, which nowhere, couldn't land many guest spots and his year on Days was joining phoning in five lines a week. When OLTL came calling after his one year in L.A., , he jumped at the chance to go back. Because at least he would get to act, instead of sitting by the phone and going to endless auditions.

by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2022 2:27 PM

R65! I was going to post that today!! Over the years the rumor was that he died of AIDS in the 80's.. I had heard this in numeous places.

So thrilled to see him alive and he aged really well!!!! Still had great hair too!

by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2022 2:41 PM

What did Lois Kibbee think of her grandson on the show being a big ole homo in real life? She must have looked over the tops of her glasses at him and gave him The Look.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote] What did Lois Kibbee think of her grandson on the show being a big ole homo in real life?

Well her grand daughter was played by Marcia Cross

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2022 10:45 PM

R69 Didn't she come from The Edge of Night? Wasn't it like the gayest cast next to Dark Shadows?

by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2022 11:10 PM

Lois was a lezzy herself.

by Anonymousreply 72May 17, 2022 11:32 PM

Miss Victoria Sleestack did not like the gays at tall.

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2022 4:50 AM

Dear Vee - please tell KooKooSadora to shut the fuck up! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2022 6:03 AM

The story I heard was that Woodsey had a lot of mental issues from his time in ‘Nam and he crapoed up his marriage. His wife divorced him and moved to California. Woodsy got his head together and went to LA to try to win back his ex wife, which he did. They got remarried haddd va a son and lived happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2022 3:01 AM

WHERE ARE YOU Finding these old episodes?

by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2022 4:24 AM

They've started uploading a few episodes from 1974

by Anonymousreply 77May 20, 2022 4:26 AM

This is your resident soap-loving elderdyke with a pressing message: "Reverend Rutledge's window" (the last Midwestern soaps thread) is now subscriber only. I've lifted my graying head and leaned against my teetering cane to beg someone to have mercy on fans of the Midwestern soaps and begin another one. I'm watching Guiding Light and want to rage into the cavernous asshole of this site about it.

Or maybe not?

A couple of weeks ago someone suggested we have one all-encompassing thread for cancelled soaps. What do y'all think?

I know many of you are separatists. I get it. The worlds aren't always conducive to shared discussion. Yet it's grown quieter lately. Not many of us discussing these shows anymore. The silent generation is dead, the Boomers are on their last legs, and we Gen Xers appear to be the last to want to share memories.

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2022 5:11 PM

Fuck off, Ada! Take fucken Lez Matthews and the fucken Donnas with you.

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2022 7:48 PM

I had to ask, R79. I know the soaps don't mix, but I had to ask.

And now back to our regularly scheduled Llanview discussion!

by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2022 10:11 PM

I'm watching OLTL 1993. Marty's rape trial is eating the show, but I love it.

Now I understand why Anna Holbrook's character Lindsay didn't stick around. Clint Ritchie's tractor ran over him, putting him out of work for nearly six months. I wonder what would have become of her if not for that freak accident.

by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2022 10:38 PM

Linda Gottlieb was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 82June 7, 2022 12:50 AM

In favor of consolidating old soap threads.

Unfortunately the characters aren’t doing anything new so we were really talking about the actors who all intersect among defunct soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 83June 7, 2022 3:36 AM

R80 Has anyone made a new thread, if not I will. Without the P&G soaps Agnes Nixon would have never been given the opportunity to create Llanview.

by Anonymousreply 84June 7, 2022 3:40 AM

Here ya go, R84.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 7, 2022 7:56 AM

Back in the early 2000s when I first discovered DL, there was indeed one giant soap thread each month. All the soaps were discussed there. Current shows as well as cancelled shows. Unfortunately, the thread was always completely dominated by OLTL discussion. GH had a pretty strong following too. As did Days.

As a result, comments about other shows often got overlooked and/or drowned out That's why people started creating threads for the individual shows. So they could have a place to discuss their shows and not be drowned out by the OLTL discussion.

I'm very much in favor of letting each individual show have their own thread.

If you want to experiment and create one giant soap thread, that's fine. I'll be happy to participate in that. However, I suspect you'll find the same thing happening as did 20 years ago -- one or two shows will dominate and people will create threads about individual shows.

by Anonymousreply 86June 7, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote]A couple of weeks ago someone suggested we have one all-encompassing thread for cancelled soaps. What do y'all think?

Oh, God, no. I hated the ABC soaps, with the infrequent exception of OLTL. I bought another VCR to watch Billy Douglas. And the death of Meghan didn't suck. And the run-up to the "Will Rappaport escapes train taking him to Statesville Prison" storyline, well, that was worth watching, until it wasn't.

But I have no desire to read about AMC or GH. Or the rest of OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 87June 7, 2022 10:49 PM

I think we should do a thread on legendary daytime feuds

by Anonymousreply 88June 7, 2022 11:10 PM

R87, I videotaped the entire Billy Douglas storyline in 1992-93. Every day. I then bought a 2nd VCR to edit it to include just his story, not the entire show.

I remember one or both breaking at the conclusion of the story where Billy faces off with the town during the showing of the AIDS quilt. I was so upset I couldn’t record this. I’d carried it to a VCR repair shop, but it wasn’t ready in time. Thank God for YouTube.

I had (and still have) no life.

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2022 12:48 AM

R87

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2022 2:39 AM

What are the legendary feuds?

Ellen Holly vs Erika Slezak

Lucci vs Gellar

Genie vs Tony

Dee vs any attractive woman on DOOL

Zenk vs Schultz

Mary Stuart vs Barbara Monte Britt

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2022 10:01 AM

- Robert Kelker-Kelly vs His Leading Ladies

- Eric Braeden vs Peter Bergman

- Victoria Rowell vs Y&R

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2022 10:13 AM

R91 Kate Collins vs James Kiberd on AMC. It got very ugly between them, especially toward the end of their pairing together on the show.

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2022 10:14 AM

Scoche Marin (NuKay, Y&R) vs. Jess Walton (Jill, Y&R)

by Anonymousreply 94June 8, 2022 10:45 AM

Hunter Tylo vs Kimberlin Brown

Kim Zimmer vs Beth Ehlers

Brenda vs The Bells

Melissa Reeves vs Jason Brooks zipper

by Anonymousreply 95June 8, 2022 10:45 AM

Seaforth Hayes vs Benet

Audrey Peters vs Toni Bua

Maeve McGuire vs Don May

Rauch v Reinholt

Zimmer vs Forbes

by Anonymousreply 96June 8, 2022 11:57 AM

Tony Geary, NLG, Mo Bernard, Jane Elliot versus Ron Carlivati . There were two others that have never been named, but it was those 6 actors (4 mentioned) who went to ABC to get him fired from GH.

by Anonymousreply 97June 8, 2022 12:28 PM

I get why MO would be mad at RC but why were the others?

by Anonymousreply 98June 8, 2022 12:35 PM

They didn't like Ron's approach to the show, which is understandable. And, as everyone knows, they all think they're doing Shakespeare over at GH.

by Anonymousreply 99June 8, 2022 12:44 PM

I can't say I blame them, R97. Carlivati made One Life to Live's last years unwatchable for me at times. The aspects he chose to concentrate on were ... interesting. The only thing Ron's and I agreed on was his seeming hatred for John McBain. The contest for this man's dick was bewildering. By the time they dragged poor Blair into it -- via some pity-marriage -- I threw up my fucking hands.

The only storyline Ron did well, IMO, was the Kyle/Fish story. He took his time. Built them up. I probably would have liked them better if they hadn't been surrounded by the Gigi/Rex/Stacy vortex. Though, Kim Andrews was awesome! Oh, and I liked Schuyler/Rachel, but that didn't last at all.

I will admit to enjoying some of the show's last year. After it was canceled and they had nothing to lose, Carlivati and his team went bonkers in the best way.

Don't FUCK with me, fellas! I'm typing this from an Undisclosed Location!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 18, 2022 11:49 AM

Fuck off Ada. You’re always on the rag.

by Anonymousreply 101June 18, 2022 12:22 PM

I'm menopause-ing right the fuck now, as I type.

I dust with rags; I don't stuff 'em down my crotch!

by Anonymousreply 102June 18, 2022 12:25 PM

Miss Victoria Sleestack doesn’t like this language AT TALL!

by Anonymousreply 103June 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Thanks, R100, for that link. It was fun watching OLTL make fun of OLTL. It was a very silly episode, but it reminded me how much I loved and miss OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 104June 18, 2022 10:58 PM

Glad you enjoyed it, R104. Of the three soaps closest to my heart, One Life to Live always made me laugh the most.

by Anonymousreply 105June 18, 2022 11:26 PM

R100 That actually aired on my birthday, that year. Since that episode was basically a love letter to the fans, I really felt Vikki and Co. were giving me one last birthday gift. I felt just like Roxy. I remember crying for a few hours when the final tv episode aired. Just the thought of not visiting Llanview everyday, as I had basically done since before leaving the womb, was extremely depressing. It felt like a close friend had died.

by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2022 12:18 AM

*HUGS* R106.

I miss our friends in Llanview something awful. I like the idea of Worlds Without End. I pretend they're still living life, creating more stories. We just can't watch anymore.

I love that shortened it's WWE. Soaps and wrestling have more in common than most people would think, since wrestling is known for its outlandish storylines, as well.

by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2022 10:48 AM

Ada is polluting this thread. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2022 11:00 AM

Smooches, doll!

I'm allowed to love Llanview AND the Midwestern soaps all at the same time.

I'm complex.

by Anonymousreply 109June 19, 2022 11:07 AM

r108, Ada is who asked me to start this thread.

by Anonymousreply 110June 19, 2022 11:14 AM

R107 That is exactly how I feel about all the cancelled soaps, we might not be able to watch anymore but the characters are still alive and living their lives in Llanview, Pine Valley, Springfield, Oakdale, etc...

by Anonymousreply 111June 19, 2022 3:26 PM

Just stopped in to share a scene from an episode I watched today that literally made me laugh harder than I have in years. Yes. Literally. (For the impatient among you, the good stuff starts at about 3:50).

Wortham Krimmer knew One Life to Live would be basking in Emmy gold the following year. I think dude decided this was his chance. This was THE scene. And he was right.

Because this will be all I'll ever remember him for.

I'd like to apologize to John Loprieno, Drake Hogestyn, Ronn Moss, James DePaiva, and a host of other pretty hair models I have openly disparaged in the past.

Dear Mr. Krimmer: Come get your award. You paid the cost to be the boss, sir. You friggin' won, son!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 22, 2022 1:50 AM

He was such a good strong actor, from what I remember, but after awhile he was like Dr. Larry, he was just around, but didn't actually do much.

by Anonymousreply 113June 22, 2022 1:57 AM

A good interview with Robert Krimmer from 2008.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 22, 2022 2:12 AM

His former co-star is a life coach now. She was the only Cassie I was familiar with. I did like her coupling with Kevin before she was written off and Kevin was subsequently recast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 22, 2022 4:58 AM

I remember when Cusi Cram played Cassie. Holly Gagnier was more fun -- she had spirit and came alive on camera. Laura Bonarrigo was beautiful, but Cassie was written as a victim and lost all her spunk. She was more fun when she was standing up to Dorian than when she was just another soap opera heroine and one of the weak "Cramer girls."

by Anonymousreply 116June 22, 2022 11:27 AM

Laura's Cassie was the definition of Frau.

I spent several episodes of yesterday's OLTL-watch listening to her harangue Dorian. I did enjoy the slap, though. Dorian needs a good slap every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 117June 22, 2022 1:33 PM

What in God’s name was that shit at R112? Was that acting by Bob Krimmer? And he wondered why he had to leave acting and go into law. He probably used that shit as his acting reel. No wonder that our queen Miss Victoria Sleestack said that she did not particularly like the Gottlieb era and that Linda Gottlieb was not good for the show.

by Anonymousreply 118June 22, 2022 4:48 PM

Re-watching this era of OLTL, R118, I'm not surprised by Krimmer's performance. Some of the worst male actors of the show's history converged in 1993. That's what made Roger Howarth's ascendancy so damned easy. He really had very little competition. Who was there to stop him?

- Casper van Dien - Wortham Krimmer - John Loprieno - Nathan Purdee - David Ledingham - Christopher Douglas

None of these were acting powerhouses.

James DePaiva was acceptable, except when he was yelling -- which was 75% of the time. Ugh. Christopher Cousins (Cain Rogan) was a good actor, but he never amounted to more than supporting or a side character. Robert Woods had aged out of the heartthrob role by this time. I love Phil Carey's Asa, but the only reason I accepted his obviously reading from cue cards is because I find the old coot to be so damn funny.

The women carried this show during this period. For real. The guys were just eye candy. Nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 119June 22, 2022 9:32 PM

Perhaps Krimmer wasn’t good in that scene, but he was excellent in the Billy Douglas storyline.

I thought Ryan Philippe was also very good considering this was his first role and it was a hot topic at the time.

Erika didn’t play a big role in any of this which is why I imagine she wasn’t a big fan of Gottlieb’s. I was. It’s hard to believe this aired 30 years ago this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120June 22, 2022 9:45 PM

[quote]Erika didn’t play a big role in any of this which is why I imagine she wasn’t a big fan of Gottlieb’s. I was.

She could have had a big role in it if the network had gone with the original choice and let Joey Buchanan be the gay teen.

by Anonymousreply 121June 22, 2022 9:51 PM

True, R121. Good point.

by Anonymousreply 122June 22, 2022 10:07 PM

If I were a network executive in the 90s, I probably wouldn't have had the courage to let the writers make Joey gay or Kevin a rapist. Those would have been bold choices in the 90s, especially for two legacy characters. Todd worked because Howarth was so good. And Billy Douglas worked because Ryan was good, but he was expendable. I'm not sure if the Kevin and Joey actors could have pulled those stories off.

by Anonymousreply 123June 22, 2022 10:13 PM

Chris McKenna played Joey at that time. He’s worked steadily ever since. Kirk Geiger hasn’t had as much success, but continues to act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 22, 2022 10:22 PM

Dan Gauthier was an amazing actor and a great Kevin - should have had a contract role for years.

He's now giving acting classes in the desert.

by Anonymousreply 125June 23, 2022 1:19 AM

They all go into ‘teaching’ acting when they can’t get a job. Who’d listen to them? You can’t get a job acting so now you’re telling me how to act??? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 126June 23, 2022 2:14 AM

R125- HE WAS FUCKING AWESOME... One of my favorite actors on the show- ever.

And my god, not only do I find Gottlieb's "Afterschool special" era SO boring and overrated (other than the beautiful production values) but the secondary and MALE CHARACTERS were utter duds.

Ada's list above NAILED it. Kicked me right in the cunt.

Fucking SUEDE? What a dork. I am sorry to say I thought Nathan Purdee was a horrific actor as well. James DePaiva was utterly terrible. Fuck, even the guy who played Powell Lord was atrocious.

I will say I always enjoyed Wortham Krimmer and Phil Carey is my favorite actor on OLTL of all time. Carey was supremely underrated and my favorite scenes were when Asa was angry- which was always. And I LOVED his chemistry with Andrea Evans- especially when Asa hated Tina. Absolutely hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 127June 23, 2022 2:17 AM

Didn’t DePaiva throw a chair at Gottlieb? The cast hated her.

by Anonymousreply 128June 23, 2022 10:02 AM

R127, Dan Gauthier was my favorite Kevin by far. He had the look, demeanor, and smug entitlement that could develop when raised in his circumstances. He had great chemistry with everyone. I'm really sad he wasn't around when Howarth came back. I can see Gauthier rolling his eyes if he'd been included in the scenes of the Todd/Victor DNA test results. Hilarious.

I forgot the guy who played Powell, but you're right. He was, indeed, awful.

The guy who played Jason Webb wasn't all bad, but his skill set seemed stuck on playing surly or with telling Dorian what a piece of shit she was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 23, 2022 10:30 AM

I agree that Fiona Hutchinson was a force of nature. Unlike most soap couplings that are created by writers, she created such an obsession for Max which was her throughline throughout most of her character's history. Her desperation, and her antics with Tina, made for fun television.

by Anonymousreply 130June 23, 2022 11:35 AM

Fiona was a nasty cunt.

by Anonymousreply 131June 23, 2022 8:17 PM

R130- I think Fiona may be my favorite actress on daytime- ever. I have sung her praises here before (I hold Susan Haskell in extremely high esteem as well) I watch those episodes from the late 80's and Fiona has it all. In spades.

by Anonymousreply 132June 23, 2022 10:50 PM

Dan Gauthier was (and remains to this day) a stunning looking man during his time on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 24, 2022 12:10 AM

I'm still scratching my head 15 years later, wondering why OLTL kicked Dan Gauthier to the curb but kept Michael Easton.

by Anonymousreply 134June 24, 2022 12:22 AM

The show claimed it was storyline dictated as in they had no story for the character. Big mistake on their part. Even today the man should be getting steady work!

by Anonymousreply 135June 24, 2022 12:25 AM

Question: Did Elaine Princi's Dorian arrive before or after Andrea Evans left in 1990?

by Anonymousreply 136June 24, 2022 2:41 AM

Dan deserves better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 24, 2022 2:49 PM

Susan Batten is on GH next week

by Anonymousreply 138June 24, 2022 7:53 PM

Mo thinks the studio is his personal mental hospital. Everyone is tired of it.

by Anonymousreply 139June 24, 2022 8:03 PM

He seems very anxious or is having a panic attack in R137’s video.

by Anonymousreply 140June 24, 2022 10:56 PM

[quote]Mo thinks the studio is his personal mental hospital.

If you watch Mo's Youtube show, you would think the entire cast of GH is a bunch of crazies.

by Anonymousreply 141June 24, 2022 10:59 PM

Whatever Happened To Mark Philpot - The Actor Who Played Jamie Sanders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 24, 2022 11:16 PM

Mark Philpot is a gay.

by Anonymousreply 143June 25, 2022 12:34 PM

we been knew

by Anonymousreply 144June 28, 2022 12:28 PM

Is Lil’s Toyota Tercel in the Smithsonian?

by Anonymousreply 145June 29, 2022 10:36 PM

Mark Arnold as Rob was a hottie wish they’d kept him On longer and Holly G was the best Cassie (most Cramer like)

by Anonymousreply 146July 2, 2022 3:33 AM

Cusi Cram was my favorite Cassie.

by Anonymousreply 147July 2, 2022 3:55 AM

Holly Gagnier was the fiestiest Cassie, before she became a drip. Yes, Mark Arnold was uber hot. WHET?

by Anonymousreply 148July 2, 2022 11:59 AM

Mark Arnold was soooooooooooooo gay.

by Anonymousreply 149July 2, 2022 12:36 PM

Rafe was another 80s OLTL hottie…remember when Rob got mixed up with “touched by an angel” Joanna Leighton? She couldn’t act to save her life but loved the story and trope.

by Anonymousreply 150July 2, 2022 3:21 PM

R150- OLTL in the summer of 88 was the fucking best.

The show even hit #1.

Damn- Patrick London, Lady Joanna Leighton, The Sanders, Tina mixed up in it- and then Ursulla Blackwell at the end of it.

The show was like crack.

by Anonymousreply 151July 2, 2022 5:54 PM

Paul Rauch was great for OLTL!

by Anonymousreply 152July 2, 2022 8:47 PM

The way this show destroyed the Holden family (Max, Gabrielle, Al) in favor of those fucking McBains made me wish for its cancelation.

by Anonymousreply 153July 2, 2022 9:02 PM

I thought the Al becomes Michael thing was because all the Marcie and Al fans screamed bloody murder until they figured out a way of bringing him back.

by Anonymousreply 154July 2, 2022 11:46 PM

Hated that they did the Holdens like that. Not even a Max return before the show ended. They ignored the character his last few years.

Killing Al when they could have corrected it by saying it was a dream what an insult having more focus to the Mcbain clan.

Brutally killing Gabrielle was so wrong. Hoped they’d fix that before the show ended. I didn’t even mind her being happy with Bo. Would have loved a Max and Gabrielle reunion or even more Tina/Gabby!

by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2022 12:34 AM

I have a question about the Lord Love the Children storyline from 1989, where Tina uncovers a black market adoption ring. Was it always intended to be so quickly moving, as something for Andrea Evans to do before her time on the show wrapped up? Or did Andrea's imminent departure require the story to be sped up?

by Anonymousreply 156July 7, 2022 3:54 AM

Andrea's stalker was getting increasingly crazy (he ever assaulted her in the lobby of the studio once and Fiona Hutchison had to pull him off of her) and she feared for her life. She requested to be released from her contract to flee NYC to move to LA to try to avoid her stalker. They didn't want her to leave but gave in due to her unfortunate situation.

by Anonymousreply 157July 7, 2022 4:08 AM

I am excited for Mendorra Ambassador Dorian Lord to show up. Elaine Princi (Dorian recast in 1990) never seemed to have married. hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 158July 7, 2022 4:28 AM

The AIDS Quilt Storyline is coming up in 1992 (if this person posts that far)...I hope so. They are also such good quality uploads...Thank You to whoever is posting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 7, 2022 4:33 AM

Oh, yes, I'm familiar with Andrea's horrifying issue (and thank god for Fiona!). I just wondered if the story was originally supposed to be drawn out, or if it was always meant to be so fast moving. Just little over a month left of 1989 ...

by Anonymousreply 160July 7, 2022 4:57 AM

R160 = The show was setting up the Medorra storyline into high gear for the following Feb Sweeps and it had a lot of moving parts. I think the Gaby/Tina Baby Brokers storyline was just fodder for November Sweeps. The show just introduced Prince Raymond as a college friend of Michael Grandes. But the Mendorra storyline brought back both Dorian and (original) Cassie and introduced Prince Roland. They had to get Debra (!) and Sarah and Megan all to Mendorra so Cord and Bo could follow and much of it was filmed in Austria. Tina will be exiting soon and recast with Karen Witter on May 10 1990. She will immediately be put into the Johnny Dee, Charlotte Hesser, Badderly Island story. VIDEO = Cutie Tyler with Clint (40 second mark)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 7, 2022 5:26 AM

The show is losing Max and Tina very soon.

by Anonymousreply 162July 7, 2022 5:35 AM

[quote]Elaine Princi (Dorian recast in 1990) never seemed to have married. hmmm...

As competent an actress as Princi is, and as great a recast she was as Dorian, I can see why Strasser was snapped back up when she became available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 7, 2022 6:47 AM

I still chuckle when I think of the story that Queen Logan spilled. Phil Carey was so pissed off when he found out that they fired Elaine Princi in favor of Strasser, Phil marched up 2 flights of stairs to Gottlieb’s office (dressing rooms were in the basement and Gottlieb was on the 2nd floor) and told her that she better not put him in any scenes with that bitch Strasser. And they didn’t have scenes together for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 164July 7, 2022 1:14 PM

Who’s the young actor at the ski resort with Dorian in R163’s clip? He looks familiar.

by Anonymousreply 165July 7, 2022 4:14 PM

I'd like to know that, too. If I'm not mistaken, Cameron was our first opportunity to see Robin's Dorian as a cougar (like Elaine's Dorian had with Jason and arguably Nancy's Dorian had with Mark).

by Anonymousreply 166July 7, 2022 10:21 PM

From summer of 1990 through most of 1991, this show SUCKED. Wasn't it some recycled hack like Craig Carlson/Leah Laiman/Margaret DePriest writing it?

Badderly was an atrocity. First summer I thought OLTL sucked.

85-89 was my favorite period of this show. ( was around 8-12 here, so I was too young to see other eras, but based on YouTube, OLTL from 82-84 seemed downright hokey and old fashioned.

Some great Tina stuff starting at 56:50 (with MITCH- right before he starts a cult)

I always loved OLTL's dramatic fades to commercial , especially when they involved Tina. Andrea knew how to work a camera in a big way. She gets very little credit for being an expert soap actress, and she read really campy lines in a very natural way. An actress who knew how to use her eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 7, 2022 11:48 PM

Something I've noted: OLTL skipped Halloween and I'm positive they're going to skip Thanksgiving in 1989. Both of thosr holidays were part of the story in 1988 (Gaby and Michael wearing Eterna-themed costumes, Ursula's aggressive turkey-stuffing). Also, both AMC and GH worked Halloween into their storylines in 1989 (and I know GH worked Thanksgiving in). Maybe it's a silly think to notice, but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 168July 8, 2022 1:23 AM

What do people think of Nicholas Walker as Max. I don’t recall a lot of criticism about his hiring. At the time Heather Ratray had taken over the role of Lily on ATWT and she was unpopular. I do remember fans were thrilled when James DePaiva came back.

by Anonymousreply 169July 8, 2022 1:49 AM

R169- I remember not minding him. And for some reason I DID like that storyline when Max had his face burnt off. It was very gothic and actually very sad- Fiona knocked it out of the park.. When was that!?? Was it early 1990 at the same time as Mendorra possibly?

I recall Fiona carrying that show in 1990 in many ways..

by Anonymousreply 170July 8, 2022 2:37 AM

I wasn't a fan of NuMax. Gabrielle (who I love) was just put thru the wringer after the trial and then Max "dying". I just wanted Gabrielle to be happy. Also I think Father Tony is entering the picture soon.. More tears!!

by Anonymousreply 171July 8, 2022 3:01 AM

Max and Gabrielle didn’t have the same passion with Walker in the role. Plus the show started writing Max differently almost as Asa’s “son”.

by Anonymousreply 172July 8, 2022 5:55 AM

Gabrielle was the best! Didn’t need her crying all the time but she was such a force of a character. A true anti-heroine. Loved when she was bad and she always (like Tina) seemed to be her own worst enemy. Tina was driven by greed and Gabrielle love.

by Anonymousreply 173July 9, 2022 5:49 AM

R173 = Agreed...Sadly Gabrielle never really got her happily ever after.. Al died. She was murdered after finally finding some happiness with Bo....Video of Gabrielles last scene before she exited in 1991....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 9, 2022 6:41 AM

Fiona’s career died.

by Anonymousreply 175July 9, 2022 8:51 AM

In case anyone is interested and didn’t know, Susan Batten (Luna) guest starred on GH this week as a home shopping network person. She still looks basically the same as her last OLTL appearance.

by Anonymousreply 176July 9, 2022 3:47 PM

Susan Batten looks very refreshed. She’s had facework done. I wouldn’t have recognized her if I hadn’t read about her being on. Same with Morgan Fairchild. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 177July 9, 2022 4:16 PM

Hated Luna…country bumpkin Goddess nonsense never made sense paired with Max! When will we get Liz’s mom?

by Anonymousreply 178July 9, 2022 4:27 PM

Elaine is the Dorian I’m familiar with. Strasser came back and chewed the heck out of the scenery. Other than her chemistry with gay David, her second and third runs on the show paled in comparison to her first. She only has the benefit of no episodes of Nancy being available. And I hated how the “Cramer girls” were no longer brunettes with Robin dying her hair. And then the blonde Southern Blair and Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 179July 9, 2022 4:42 PM

I didn't like Luna either. The actress was very unattractive too. She was popular though for some odd reason.

She was hated with a passion by fans on ATWT after she was hired to replace another popular actress by her friend Felicia Minei-Behr despite being a bad fit for the character. She gave an interview where she basically she said she didn't care if fans liked her or not and gave off an air as if she thought she was untouchable, which made fans hate her more. Some fans sent cans of dog food to the studio with her name on it and "can her" written on it. She was gone after 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 180July 9, 2022 4:51 PM

At least Luna knew Reba and got her to come to Llanview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 9, 2022 4:56 PM

I hated Luna..."Oh my Goddess"....ugh.....Also hated the way Max sent his kids to live with her hillbilly family....WHAT?....Furthering the ruination of Max Holden. Casper Van Dien played her hot brother...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 9, 2022 11:20 PM

Why isn't Andrea Evans on Days of Our Lives?

She can do camp, she played Rebecca for years on Passions for God sakes a d Ron Carlivati is DAYS headwriter, her old OLTL writer

by Anonymousreply 183July 9, 2022 11:42 PM

r174 that was a beautifully acted scene. Fiona Hutchison should have won as many Emmys as Susan Lucci got nominated for them.

by Anonymousreply 184July 9, 2022 11:43 PM

R180, I never found the actress who played Luna unattractive. She was just an irritating presence, a filler character who never had any purpose.

Wasn't the recast actress who got sent cans of dog food on the set of As the World Turns Hillary Bailey Smith?

by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2022 7:35 AM

Cusi Cram, one of the early Cassies, was the daughter of Lady Jeanne Campbell (who had had affairs with JFK, among many others), who was the daughter of the 11th Duke of Argyll by his first wife. His marriage to a third wife, Margaret, is the subject of the series "A Very British Scandal." The 1963 scandal was that polaroid pictures were found of Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, going down on a man. Although naked, she was identifiable by the three ropes of pearls she always wore. The fellated man, whose head does not appear in the picture, was never identified, although Britain was rife with rumors about who it was.

by Anonymousreply 186July 11, 2022 1:54 AM

Fiona is so overrated on here. That nutcase Serial Moron Monticello tries to promote her on here. She hasn’t had a career in decades. She sucked!

by Anonymousreply 187July 11, 2022 2:23 AM

Fiona was awesome. Her Jenna was great on GL til they paired her with Buzz. Buzz was blah!

by Anonymousreply 188July 13, 2022 1:58 AM

Can’t think of a Fiona pairing that didn’t work…liked Gabby with Max best but with Bo or even Asa it was still so good!

by Anonymousreply 189July 13, 2022 2:01 AM

R188 = Agreed. Buzz was so overrated on GL. Fiona brought a lot of fans with her to GL (I was one of them). What did we think of Fionas haircut when she returned to Llanview in 2002?...It was jarring at first but she is/was so gorgeous....VIDEO of Asa and Gaby rubbing in their marriage to Max..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 13, 2022 2:05 AM

Gabby’s true soulmate was Tina. It’s too bad Max and Gabrielle didn’t get their happily ever after though.

by Anonymousreply 191July 13, 2022 2:07 AM

R191 just like Vicki and Dorian, OLTL was very good at creating female frenimies.

by Anonymousreply 192July 13, 2022 2:11 AM

Blair and Tea, Nora and Lindsay, Dorian and Viki, and of course Gabrielle and Tina oltl had some of the best complicated enemies / friends.

by Anonymousreply 193July 14, 2022 4:56 AM

Did they ever find Lil’s tercel when they renovated that garage next to OLTL’s studio?

by Anonymousreply 194July 14, 2022 9:05 AM

If Gabrielle had never left OLTL, there would be no Blair.

by Anonymousreply 195July 14, 2022 12:09 PM

Gabrielle, in her adoration of Max, might James de Paiva a better actor. Fiona, like Robin Strasser, knew how to make all of her scenes fill with electricity. They were fun to watch. The both took the writing and gave it life. It helped that they played characters who stirred the pot -- you never knew what Gabrielle or Dorian were capable of. But, most importantly, the two actresses are intelligent and they played their characters intelligently.

by Anonymousreply 196July 14, 2022 12:25 PM

I like the Dorian and Gabrielle comparison. Both actresses fully committed and had chemistry with everyone. Always wonder why we didn’t get Tina, Kevin, Joey, Cj, Cord, and Cassie in the last fifteen years as focus characters?! Instead was all Mcbain, Rex, and Natalie.

by Anonymousreply 197July 14, 2022 12:41 PM

Dorian and Gabrielle had an amusing scene together when Elaine Princi played the character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 14, 2022 1:01 PM

GREAT FEMALE FRIENDSHIPS were a staple of One Life from the beginning

Anna and Eileen

Julie and Cathy

Meredith and Vikki (sisters)

Carla and everyone else

by Anonymousreply 199July 14, 2022 1:19 PM

If Fiona and Andrea Evans had never left the show, the vileness of Roger Howarth would never have manifested.

by Anonymousreply 200July 14, 2022 1:38 PM

The scenes with AE Tina and Roger’s Todd were amazing sad we didn’t get much of it. Same as Gabby and Todd scenes. Feel like the three of them could have really stirred it up. Blair was not a replacement for either of those ladies.

Why no Bitchy Bangs versus the Buch Twins? Could have been a new generation of Dorian versus Viki!

by Anonymousreply 201July 14, 2022 1:50 PM

Blair was the most overrated character in OLTL's history. And I far preferred Mia Korf.

Kassie is a LOVELY human being, but I was never a fan.

Gabrielle and Tina alone could wipe the floor with 1990's OLTL.

So over 90's OLTL after getting to rewatch on Youtube. Utterly boring and does not appear as groundbreaking in retrospect. Its like a boring and preachy afterschool special.

Only Alex had any edge. And Marty. (Susan Haskell WAS OLTL to me at various times- a phenomenal actress- Top 10 of all time with Fiona)

by Anonymousreply 202July 14, 2022 9:58 PM

Fiona is a great actress. Robin, on the other hand, is one of the most overrated daytime divas ever. Nancy and Elaine were better.

by Anonymousreply 203July 15, 2022 3:52 AM

R201 = Damn....I forgot that Gabrielle was mixing it up with Todd when she returned....Video Link...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 15, 2022 4:35 AM

R79 This recent upload is one with the most Nancy Pinkerton screen time. The clips I have seen of her show her as a cunning woman, who's fairly pleasant at the surface, but with a terrible malevolence hidden right under. Not a bossy or loud woman. I wonder what Pinkerton Dorian's relationship with Cassie was like if she existed at that time? I can't imagine her being very needy in the love department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205July 15, 2022 7:40 AM

OLTL felt so gay friendly during the 80s. I didn't feel during the 90s. Viki and Dorian simply did not have the same camp appeal as Tina and Gabrielle. I didn't feel like Llanview was a place where I wanted to be myself in anymore.

by Anonymousreply 206July 15, 2022 11:33 AM

90's OLTL was stodgy as fuck (92-96). (Other than Alex, Marty, Carlo) Was never a Todd fan really, but I know he is a big part of its success-

OLTL was similar to Y&R with the stodginess, good lighting. but 90's OLTL is just boring.

Y&R was my other show and that show always worked for me- The trite dialogue, the 50's potboiler vibe, the long drawn out stories.

The only Malone/Gottlieb stories I really loved were Marty's rape and Viki's DID. The rest of the show was 2nd rate soap opera with some guise of pseudo-intellectual bullshit. It wasn't that great upon review.

80's OLTL? All day , every day.

by Anonymousreply 207July 15, 2022 7:54 PM

Strasser was so over rated and she was nasty to the crew. That is unforgivable.

by Anonymousreply 208July 16, 2022 1:23 AM

Strasser is a throwback to Crawford and Davis. That is why I love her.

by Anonymousreply 209July 16, 2022 1:28 AM

John Russell was a compact little piece of ass. Beautiful eyes, that thick fluffy hair, and the mustache just enhances his handsomeness.

by Anonymousreply 210July 16, 2022 1:28 AM

R210. Holy cow, I have been noticing how HOT he was. Damn. He was more handsome than Tom Selleck and other similar 80's dudes.

Not the greatest actor, but what a stud.

by Anonymousreply 211July 16, 2022 1:31 AM

John Russell was my fantasyman for the years he was on OLTL. The whole package -- including the bad acting -- was perfect to me.

by Anonymousreply 212July 16, 2022 1:46 AM

A tribute to Ivana! No matter how bad she was, she was still better than Kourtney Kardashian. This was one good and 'spectac-ah-lar' episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213July 18, 2022 1:18 PM

Serial Monticello asshole nutcase is at it again. Fuck Fiona.

by Anonymousreply 214July 18, 2022 2:44 PM

R214

by Anonymousreply 215July 20, 2022 9:35 AM

Locher interviewed Kristen Alderson.

So far my favorite part is @ 26:45 when she called Eric Braeden old, then followed up with hoping to work with him one day.

Hmm. Even if Y&R had been open to having her, seems she may have shot herself in the foot with that slip of the tongue. Plus, Braeden probably thinks she's too old for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 20, 2022 9:08 PM

R216 = I never understood why KA isn't a working daytime actress. She grew up on a soap and can act. GH can bring Todd/Austin/Franco back over and over again but not KA?

by Anonymousreply 217July 21, 2022 4:09 AM

R217 I guess that has to do with CD.

by Anonymousreply 218July 21, 2022 4:10 AM

R218 = I thought of that. She is way more talented than CD. She won a Daytime Emmy on GH before he did. He looks petty. ...How is her cutie brother doing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 21, 2022 4:15 AM

According to Kristen, Eddie's doing fine. He's engaged and works in law enforcement.

by Anonymousreply 220July 21, 2022 10:42 AM

Keep that ugly horsefaced cunt out of daytime.

by Anonymousreply 221July 21, 2022 11:22 AM

[quote]I guess that has to do with CD.

Chad was done with her, but she wasn't done with that dick of death. Poor girl got dickmatized and showed out on her way out of GH. Frank probably won't have her back.

by Anonymousreply 222July 21, 2022 12:23 PM

The biggest mistake this show made was not bringing back Fiona H when Andrea Evans returned. They were a true super couple, as much as Viki and Dorian.

by Anonymousreply 223July 21, 2022 12:36 PM

Psycho Kristen deets, please!

by Anonymousreply 224July 21, 2022 12:51 PM

R222 = You are a stupid bitch. Your every post is dick related. He is tiny and short and cannot make a relationship work = there is a reason for that and it isn't having a big dick. yawn.

by Anonymousreply 225July 22, 2022 3:21 AM

R225 Short? I thought he was very tall.

by Anonymousreply 226July 22, 2022 3:25 AM

I’d neVer seen Nancy Pinkerton in the role before that clip and am entirely unimpressed. She was Disengaging and stiff.

Robin Strasser is a ham but she was great to watch in her day. She made me a soap fan.

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2022 12:24 AM

R226 Yeah, CD isn't short.

Frank V. is well over six feet. At least, 6'2 or even taller (I've heard). And look at Duell standing next to him in the photo below.

Alderson is the short one. Even when she'd wear her 4-inch stilettos, he'd tower over her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 23, 2022 6:12 AM

Tonja Walker keeps posting on social media about what a genius Ron Carlivati is and how she loved Beyond Salem and how she would love to be on the next one or on the daily Days of Our Lives

by Anonymousreply 229July 23, 2022 6:46 AM

Wow. What a sad, pathetic thread.

People actually posting about individual episodes and characters from SOAP OPERAS from the 70's-80's?

And we wonder why the country's gone to hell...

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2022 7:01 AM

Tonja Walker has alot of dirt in her background. ALOT. No wonder she hasn’t worked.

by Anonymousreply 231July 23, 2022 10:08 AM

R227, to be fair, Viki was also stuffy in the 70s. Pinkerton's Dorian fit with the slow burn pace of the show back then, and the approach never to give too much away to the audience. Acting with subtext and manners lessened greatly in the 90s, and was completely gone by 2010.

I love Strasser too, unless they start uploading shows from the early 70s she will remain my favorite Dorian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2022 10:40 AM

[quote][R222] = You are a stupid bitch. Your every post is dick related. He is tiny and short and cannot make a relationship work = there is a reason for that and it isn't having a big dick. yawn.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's welcome Miss Alderson to the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 233July 23, 2022 2:20 PM

If that's true, R233, I hope Kristen will share a few anecdotes from her days on OLTL and GH.

Also: Were you ladylike when things went bad with Chad? Or did you trip out like Gina Tognoni supposedly did when she discovered Tom Pelphrey and Stephanie Gatschet were doing it? Did Chad cheat on you (like he cheated with you?) Or did he just go cold, tossing you aside after he'd had his fill?

by Anonymousreply 234July 23, 2022 2:47 PM

I never believed Tom Pelphrey is straight. Saw he is now "dating" Kalie Cuoko. He must be BI...I have had MMF threeways and there are chicks out there who actually cheer you on while you fuck their men. Used to gross me out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 24, 2022 4:23 AM

Tom Pelphrey ate out Tognoni’s snatch and then fucked some other chick. Gina was pissed! Gina isn’t one to be crossed. It didn’t go over well. Tom feated for his life.

by Anonymousreply 236July 25, 2022 10:51 AM

IRL, Gina is a lot like Phyllis.

by Anonymousreply 237July 25, 2022 10:59 AM

r235

I would love if he were gay/bi but I always thought it was wishful thinking

r236

by Anonymousreply 238July 25, 2022 11:36 AM

Was the actor who played Asa Buchanan gay irl? I seem to remember he was accused of domestic violence and this was not long before the actor died?

by Anonymousreply 239July 25, 2022 2:13 PM

As I recall, porn actor Jerry Butler in his book said that Phil Carey made a pass at him when he was an extra on "One Life to Live," as did the actor who played Will Vernon, which could have been either Farley Granger or Anthony George, both of whom were gay. I always wondered if Butler didn't confuse Phil Carey with another actor, since it seemed unlikely -- although impossible -- that he liked the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 240July 25, 2022 3:17 PM

R240- Thank you. He never pinged to me and he was one of the few soap actors who didn't.

by Anonymousreply 241July 25, 2022 3:21 PM

Butler didn't name Phil Carey in his book. He didn't name him (well, just saying "the guy who played Asa Buchanan") until much later in his Rialto Report podcast interview. He didn't name anyone by name in that whole story in his book, probably by the publisher's insistence due to fear of a lawsuit. Because Butler had very little filter. Based on the timeline, it would've been when Anthony George was playing Will Vernon at the time and Butler said in his book two actors (Carey and George presumably) had bet going who would get him first.

He also claimed the casting director promised him the role of Brad Vernon if he slept with him. He didn't, so he didn't get the part. He named the casting director by name in the Rialto Report interview, but I can't remember what it was right now.

by Anonymousreply 242July 25, 2022 8:23 PM

I stand corrected. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 243July 25, 2022 9:22 PM

Does lead to the possibility that Jameson Parker slept with the casting director for the part of Brad Vernon?

by Anonymousreply 244July 25, 2022 9:23 PM

Would a OLTL reboot work? Would you be interested in it if new actors played younger versions of the characters? Erika Slezak looked sixty when was 30 so doubtful she could pull off a younger version of Viki.

by Anonymousreply 245July 25, 2022 9:24 PM

From the above stories, a reboot-spinoff might work, if it were called "One Fuck to Give."

by Anonymousreply 246July 25, 2022 10:05 PM

R244 This would've been for when they were recasting the role after Parker left in 1978. Steve Fletcher ultimately got cast.

by Anonymousreply 247July 25, 2022 10:18 PM

VIDEO = Brad and Asa in a scene. Anthony George also...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 26, 2022 12:53 AM

Carey was in the Marine Corps during WW2 and the Korean War, so maybe he was okay with getting a blow job from another guy now and again.

by Anonymousreply 249July 26, 2022 2:04 AM

Jeffrey David Pomerantz had no trouble giving blowjobs to men.

by Anonymousreply 250July 26, 2022 2:46 AM

The rumors of Carey being bi preceded his time at OLTL.

But by the time he was on One Life, he was on so much medication sex was likely the last thing on his mind. Some of his female costars poured the tea in that OLTL book on that.

by Anonymousreply 251July 26, 2022 2:49 AM

A friend of mine was in the Navy and he swore there are "cruising" areas on ships and plenty of BJs. I believe him.

by Anonymousreply 252July 26, 2022 2:52 AM

Phil Carey had a hard on for Elaine Princi.

by Anonymousreply 253July 26, 2022 3:10 AM

What OLTL book?

by Anonymousreply 254July 26, 2022 1:56 PM

Any elders who watched during the 70s still here?

I'm watching 1994 episodes where Dorian is on trial for Victor Lord's murder. Nora has been forced to defend Dorian. She is concerned Dorian is being too flashy. They keep talking about how wealthy Dorian is.

Does Dorian have more money than Viki? It sounds like she inherited the bulk of Victor's estate. A man like Victor would not have died without a will, so I'm asking if anyone recalls what it said. Not that the storyline could not have been rewritten.

I've seen clips of Viki and Clint forcing Dorian from Llanfair during the 80s because Dorian felt she had a claim. I know Viki is rich, of course. But was she given a trust -- and then made the rest of her money from The Banner (and anything she may have gained from being married to Clint)?

by Anonymousreply 255July 26, 2022 2:40 PM

[quote]What OLTL book?

Llanview in the Afternoon: An Oral History of One Life to Live by Jeff Giles.

Published in 2013. Very interesting read. Wish there were oral histories of other soaps too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256July 26, 2022 4:41 PM

Phil Carey played the butch gay friend of Archie Bunker on All In The Family. The ep also included Tony Geary as the effeminate gay who carried a purse.

by Anonymousreply 257July 26, 2022 6:04 PM

R255 = I always thought Viki and Dorian split the estate. Then Tina came along but she didn't seem to get much of anything. Tina was going to marry Richard Abbott because he was rich. Then she blackmailed Asa to get Cord money (so Tina wouldn't be marrying a broke guy from Texas)....Over the years it was revealed Victor created trusts....Todd had his....And when Natalie showed up she made a claim (and got) Jessicas Lord Trust. Victors estate got murky when they brought him back from the dead in 2024. Really bad writing. The Lord Estate then reverted to Mitch Laurence and Dorian married him to keep her fortune.. Then Irene came back from the dead and made a claim to Todds estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258July 26, 2022 11:15 PM

R203 I never cared for Elaine because all she did was imitate Robin, but that’s probably what they told her to do, so in a way it was a very effective performance. Robin was great, but her Dorian was sometimes too strident. I LOVED Nancy. She was THE Dorian. Her performance was subtle, she kept friends and foe alike off kilter. Robin was more of a steam roller, but damn baby she could rock! Not sure if I ever saw Claire in the role. (I must be what? A million years old?)

by Anonymousreply 259July 26, 2022 11:26 PM

WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THEY ARE FINDING ALL THESE GREAT EPISODES ONLINE???😁🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

by Anonymousreply 260July 26, 2022 11:29 PM

Nancy Pinkerton played a very different type of Dorian -- her nastiness was hidden. Robin Strasser played Dorian as needy and desperate -- almost a different character entirely. But Robin brought electricity to every single scene. No scene with Robin was boring. And I think she challenged her scene partners to up their game. I always thought she was an intelligent actor.

by Anonymousreply 261July 26, 2022 11:43 PM

Let's see Bo with his shirt off!

by Anonymousreply 262July 27, 2022 12:03 AM

R262 = I got Cutter OILED UP and Shirtless and in a skimpy bathing suit!!....Is that close enough?....You're Welcome...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263July 27, 2022 1:07 AM

Liz Hubbard shared scenes with Robin and totally chewed her up! Robin Strasser has to be one of THE most overrated divas in daytime. The Cramer aesthetic worked when they were all brunettes. Robin came back and dyed her hair red and totally messed up that dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 264July 27, 2022 4:06 AM

[quote] What are the legendary feuds?

[quote] Zenk vs Schultz

They had a deep dislike of each other, but the animosity between Zenk and Hillary Bailey Smith turned into a. physical fight at least once and had the entire studio taking sides. It's the main reason why suddenly, the Tom/Margo/Barbara story was redirected into different directions.

[quote] Kim Zimmer vs Beth Ehlers

Nah, this wasn't any kind of feud. Kim wrote about Beth in her book and said she was, in so many words, a black cloud of drama. But she didn't hate her at all. She didn't hate Watros, either, but they worked each other's last nerve for a while since they were on screen so much together, and their conflicts were way more intense than anything with Ehlers.

by Anonymousreply 265July 27, 2022 2:38 PM

Zimmer and Michelle Forbes was interesting too. Michelle was only 23 when she played opposite Zaslow. Joe Breen called Zimmer out for her diva behavior. Forbes was a protégé of Beverlee's, and I'm sure Bev could not stand someone like Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 266July 27, 2022 5:07 PM

Did RSW and HBS get along? Was that why Bo and Nora were kept apart for so long. Seemed like the show was insistent on pairing Bo with a much younger pretty blonde. Only pairing that compares to Bo & Nora was the chemistry of JB Sarah & Bo!

by Anonymousreply 267July 27, 2022 7:04 PM

Thanks, R258. However, the moment I hit POST, I wondered why I bothered. Soaps retcon themselves so much that it doesn't even matter in the long run. I didn't mind so much when they rewrote things that happened off-screen or before the show aired, but when they totally changed plots and situations the audience watched play out, it always bugged me.

by Anonymousreply 268July 27, 2022 7:34 PM

I hated when Re-Ron did the 1968 story because the math was totally wrong. Clint and Maria met in 1966. Yes, the audience does remember little details. He’s notorious for revisiting classic stories and effing them up.

by Anonymousreply 269July 28, 2022 2:17 AM

Ada’s dish rag is annoying as fuck! Ugh. Ignorant queen who knows shit about stuff. Fuck off asshole.

by Anonymousreply 270July 28, 2022 7:02 AM

I'm loving on you, R270. You seem like you need a hug, doll.

by Anonymousreply 271July 28, 2022 11:22 AM

Ada dear, that's the severely, deeply mentally ill obsessive. Block her, forget her and flush her.

by Anonymousreply 272July 28, 2022 11:33 PM

Word in the industry is that Scoche Marin (Kay Chancellor, Y&R) is frontrunner for next year’s Outstanding Lead Actress Daytime Emmy. She has been a revelation as Mrs. C.

by Anonymousreply 273July 29, 2022 12:22 AM

David Gregory (ex-Ford) has a part in Neil Patrick Harris’ show that premieres tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 29, 2022 12:50 AM

I know David/Ford wasn't the most popular (except with Ron and/or Frank), but I liked him.

by Anonymousreply 275July 29, 2022 1:10 AM

R274 Hmmm. so does a certain other David...David Vickers a/k/a Tuc Watkins.

by Anonymousreply 276July 29, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote] the animosity between Zenk and Hillary Bailey Smith turned into a. physical fight at least once and had the entire studio taking sides. It's the main reason why suddenly, the Tom/Margo/Barbara story was redirected into different directions.

But then why did TPTB keep CZP & HBS keep working together after that? After Gregg Marx left they moved into the Barbara/Hal/Margo triangle - then they moved into the Barbara/Hal/Margo/Tom - who is Adam's father storyline

TPTB had those two women together for at least 3 years - long after the Barbara/Tom/Margo triangle wrapped up

by Anonymousreply 277July 29, 2022 1:17 AM

R275, I like him, too. He discusses his father’s early-onset Alzheimer’s on Instagram from time to time. It’s heart breaking.

by Anonymousreply 278July 29, 2022 1:21 AM

R277 They eventually cooled off and moved forward. But circa 1985/early 86 shit was intense. And apparently most of it was HBS (as well as several others) being very agitated that Colleen and Mark Pinter had hooked up, when both of them were married.

by Anonymousreply 279July 29, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote] And apparently most of it was HBS (as well as several others) being very agitated that Colleen and Mark Pinter had hooked up, when both of them were married.

That timeline doesn't match, because Mark Pinter was off the show for at least six months before Colleen & Hillary started working together in the Margo/Tom/Barbara triangle

by Anonymousreply 280July 29, 2022 4:50 PM

Whether he was off the show or not for a time, Mark and Colleen started their relationship at that time. And Brian MacColl was on after that time, for sure, re his relationship with Beatrice McKechnie.

by Anonymousreply 281July 29, 2022 4:53 PM

So when did Helen Wagner pull Colleen aside and tell her she was a tramp not living up to the Family Values of the Hughes family? And then Colleen told the old battleaxe to buzz off?

by Anonymousreply 282July 29, 2022 5:07 PM

I remember hearing for years that there was video of the HBS/Colleen slapfest. I've never seen it but slaps were slapped and hair was pulled, from what I was told.

by Anonymousreply 283July 30, 2022 12:36 AM

If there was a fight why weren't either of the actresses reprimanded?

I remember when there was fight between Eric Braden & Peter Bergman - and Bill Bell hauled both in his office (separately) and reamed both of them out. Telling them if that happens again, they are out

Why not HBS/Colleen?

by Anonymousreply 284July 30, 2022 12:39 AM

I don't know why not, R284.

It could be that two men had a knock down drag out fight that made it to the mainstream press, while these two women had a fight that, while intense, didn't break skin or draw blood, apparently. The soap press heard about it but by the time it was mentioned or alluded to in print it was months or even the next year later.

I never read or heard about either of their jobs in jeopardy, so I don't know why not, toots.

by Anonymousreply 285July 30, 2022 12:45 AM

R285 maybe because a fight between HBS & Colleen never happened and is just a rumor?

by Anonymousreply 286July 30, 2022 12:49 AM

Also, don't forget that straight/bi men rather like watching two attractive women having a catfight.

by Anonymousreply 287July 30, 2022 12:57 AM

R286 smells a whole lot like the Where Is Your Proof cuntessa, so cunt all you want, sister, and I'll find the SOD where their argument is mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 288July 30, 2022 1:12 AM

I know few people here seem to have liked the last five or ten years of OLTL but I loved them. Todd/Victor keeping Marty with amnesia hidden away in his house. Destiny's mother punching Nora. The baby switch with Star and Jessica. The campy David Vickers storylines. Everything to do with Natalie however stupid. Echo and Vickie. Tina's last appearances. I can go on and on.

by Anonymousreply 289July 30, 2022 5:14 AM

R289 me too. It wasn’t the greatest but at least it was fun!

by Anonymousreply 290July 30, 2022 5:21 AM

Agreed- I enjoyed 2008 until the end.

I did not enjoy 2001-2007 nearly as much and stopped watching during the Higley era for 1-2 years.

by Anonymousreply 291July 30, 2022 10:02 AM

[quote]I did not enjoy 2001-2007 nearly as much and stopped watching during the Higley era for 1-2 years.

Michael Malone's second run 2003-2005 was quite disappointing with the Santi family being the absolute worst. Clearly Malone needed Linda Gotlieb to help bring out his brilliance.

But during the Dena Higley era, I also stopped watching regularly. I would occasionally tune in but kept rolling my eyes at the idea that Spencer Truman was a master criminal behind everything bad happening in Llanview. It was ludicrous thinking that Spencer Truman was Llanview's answer to Stefano DiMera.

by Anonymousreply 292July 30, 2022 10:39 PM

I totally forgot about Spenser Truman. That's how bad the storyline was.

by Anonymousreply 293July 30, 2022 10:48 PM

Fun OLTL (and Spenser) Trivia.....Mary Beth Evans was cast as Paige Miller. MBE (two weeks after the ABC/OLTL announcement)---changed her mind and decided to stay on ATWT (where she was playing Sierra)...The show wanted a "name" and hired Kimberlin Brown (YR/BB).. The character was set up to be a new love interest for Bo. She was Spensers ex wife and Davids sister in law. When YR offered KB a pile of money to return as Sheila Carter, she left OLTL and the role was recast two more times before Paige promptly left town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294July 31, 2022 12:33 AM

The TSJ feets troll will be so happy.

Part of me wishes he'd take over Adam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 3, 2022 4:25 PM

Happy 76th birthday to daytime legend Viki Sleestak!

by Anonymousreply 296August 5, 2022 3:09 PM

[quote] Part of me wishes he'd take over Adam.

Mark Grossman is a great Adam. Best one yet, and one of the prime daytime casting finds in recent memory. Plus, he's hot and age appropriate (younger than Victoria and Nick), and actually looks like he could be Victor's son.

by Anonymousreply 297August 5, 2022 7:33 PM

How did Miss Vikki Sleestack celebrate being 76?

by Anonymousreply 298August 6, 2022 4:21 PM

76????????????? Add 7,

by Anonymousreply 299August 6, 2022 6:42 PM

Slew’s fat incel son threw a gift wrapped bag of prunes at her from the basement as a present. The old fag husband was too busy cruising for cocks at rest stops to give her anything. The lazy unemployed daughter? Who cares.

by Anonymousreply 300August 6, 2022 7:17 PM

Colleen Zenk Pinter was just on a "webcast" and she says she knows for a FACT

That P&G have destroyed their entire library of Soaps

From Edge of Night to Search for Tomorrow to Guiding Light to As The World Turns

Once they decided to get out of the soap business, they destroyed every single copy of every single episode of every single Soap Opera they owned

What a WASTE as content is in HIGH demand

by Anonymousreply 301August 6, 2022 9:53 PM

R301 Did they even offer them to any libraries or museums, for the tax break?

But, I remember buying a few officially licensed Guiding Light and As the World Turns DVDs that some company came out with, so they didn't destroy all the copies immediately. And they had episodes that went back to at least the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 302August 7, 2022 2:50 AM

R302 they destroyed after P&G axed the DVD program

by Anonymousreply 303August 7, 2022 3:05 AM

Link to the podcast where Colleen said this?

by Anonymousreply 304August 7, 2022 3:25 AM

I hope poor Colleen is just confused. Maybe she's talking about "every single copy" of the old TAPES ??? and not what may have been subsequently digitized.

After the last P&G soaps left the airwaves, the company that got the licensing contract to sell these shows on the international market indicated that the shows were going to be encoded (converted-digitized). This was beyond the little DVD collections that had been produced.

And when the DIGITAL unit of the company subsequently exhibited what they had available at MIPCOM, the catalog said how many THOUSANDS of hours of each show they could supply. Copy seen at link is from the MIPCOM catalog. And another feature article on MIPCOM exhibitors said that Broadway Video Digital Media had over 21,000 hours of these shows available on "various platforms."

It would make sense if they got rid of all those old tapes and digitized them for possible streaming. That's what Retro has been doing with The Doctors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305August 7, 2022 3:39 AM

R305 Isn't that Lorne Michael's company?

by Anonymousreply 306August 7, 2022 3:57 AM

R306 It appears that it's a division within Michael's company. There's a video at the link where one of the VP's discusses BVDM and mentions the parent company and Lorne Michaels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307August 7, 2022 5:11 AM

Who cares? Those old granny P&G soaps died years ago, along with their old audience.

by Anonymousreply 308August 7, 2022 9:06 AM

R307 Good, that gives me confidence that they truly have them, because Broadway Video is a legit company. Also, Lorne has always seemed to have, and to understand and appreciate all genres/aspects of tv. So I'm sure his company will be a safe pair of hands to keep them safe. I wonder how much they paid for them and how much it cost to digitize them. I'm not sure if Retro ever finished digitizing The Doctors. If you go on any of the free apps that simulate cable tv liner channels such as CBS's Pluto, and a section of NBC's Peacock, etc... some of them are programed by the app using their on-demand library but some of the channels are real channels that are distributed on multiple apps, I would imagine those channels generate a surprising amount of revenue. BV should do a classic soap one built around the P&G catalog. Since they already have them and spent money digitizing them, it would be stupid not to exploit them. Also, there is bound to be a surge in the ad supported free streaming model over the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 309August 7, 2022 1:56 PM

But Colleen Zenk, 2X dui survivor said that P&G wiped all the tapes. Who to believe????

by Anonymousreply 310August 7, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote] I'm not sure if Retro ever finished digitizing The Doctors.

When COVID lockdown hit, Retro announced that they had to shut down their digitization activity for The Doctors - something having to do with access to the warehouse where the tapes are at and techs not being able to work. .. Then when lockdown was over, they said that they'd made the decision to not broadcast any newly-digitized episodes for TV or internet streaming until they'd completed the entire project. I don't know that kind of (financial) resources they have had or currently have dedicated to this project, but it sounds rather piecemeal (imo).

In any event, less than a year ago, Retro Television president, Joel Wertman, did a podcast interview, and at that time, the project was still a go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311August 7, 2022 9:03 PM

R310 Basically both could be true. Broadway Video could have digitized them all, returned the original tapes to P&G and then P&G destroyed them. Also, P&G had to have already digitized a good amount of their archive prior to GL and ATWT's cancellations because they had an AOL channel devoted to their classic soaps from 2006-2008.

by Anonymousreply 312August 7, 2022 11:44 PM

Michael Palance was a nice looking guy. Beautiful thick head of hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313August 7, 2022 11:49 PM

Fun Clip....OLTL Camera Rehearsals....Bo...Asa....Clint....Max...LeeAnn....Vicki...Larry..Megan...Sarah.............Extra Cutie (1:45) at the bar background.......And a MUCH YOUNGER FV!!! (4:08)....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314August 8, 2022 10:44 AM

Kind of cool because its early in Gottlieb's tenure. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 315August 8, 2022 4:53 PM

Michael Malone - DEAD

by Anonymousreply 316August 20, 2022 5:15 PM

Michael Malone was behind the AIDS Quilt + Billy Douglas Storyline...He created Todd Manning. He created Blair Daimler. He created Nora. He had some dud storylines too. He killed off Megan Gordon (which many writers considered a massive blunder). He wrote off Gabrielle (and Tina). He created Cain Rogan (a worthless throwaway character). He turned Alex Olanov from an FBI agent into a cartoon with Mortimer Berns. By the time Malone left the show was in bad shape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317August 21, 2022 12:30 AM

Interesting. So the book Marcy wrote was a real book he wrote that rose to #11 on the NYT best seller list.

by Anonymousreply 318September 5, 2022 10:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!