Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

And Just Like That … part 8 discussion: cliCHÉ abounds

Previous thread below and at R1, so you can access it when this OP is greyed out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600February 4, 2022 3:02 AM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2022 2:58 PM

Kim Cattrall was so smart to avoid this! SJP looks old! I hate Che!

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2022 7:28 PM

Thanks R2. LMAO

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2022 7:29 PM

I want to watch this but I keep hearing about how awful Sara Ramirez is in this show. I can't stand her/them/whatever.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2022 7:30 PM

I think Che needed to be cast a little bit younger. There's a type of boyish look that straight women do love (people have mentioned Shane already, as an example), that would be more believable as a type that would get the audience on board too. Sara Ramirez doesn't have that, and all people see is this nearly 50 year old acting like a teenager ("I smoke!") and it's off putting. And for all their posturing to Miranda about honestly, I feel like Che is talking to her in a way that anybody would see is not with enough clarity. I can see Miranda getting upset over something and Che saying: "I told you I wasn't traditional", which they did, but they also didn't have a proper, grown-up conversation about what "non traditional" looks like to them, and anyone seeing the way Miranda is behaving over them would be clear about that, I would think.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2022 8:03 PM

It's like the Che storyline was secretly written by Kim Cattrall, having her revenge.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2022 8:05 PM

Poor Miranda. She’s in a rom-com and the exotic/romantic destination chosen by the writers for her to profess her love is Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2022 8:15 PM

Why is this thread greyed out?

Anyway, “Che” telling the Pride audience how wet they made they gave me the dry heaves🤢 - at least Miranda wasn’t begging for an alfresco fingering behind the stage.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2022 8:22 PM

^^^ “they made they” is a perfect example of why the pronouns agenda is an assault on the brain if anybody who loves the English language.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2022 8:31 PM

Is anyone else disturbed that Miranda got over her drinking problem (they're not calling it alcoholism) just by a book she drunk-ordered on Amazon, and is now perfectly fine just having club sodas?

Nope, no addiction here my friends. I just jumped from my alcohol addiction to a sex addiction to a woke addiction...

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]“they made they” is a perfect example of why the pronouns agenda is an assault on the brain if anybody who loves the English language.

Shouldn't it have been "they made them" though? Which is a pretty standard construction in English.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2022 8:41 PM

I liked how Miranda, after having an affair with another woman, ending her longstanding marriage and ignoring her son's needs exclaims "I'm living in a rom-com!"

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2022 8:51 PM

I no longer try and work it out, R11.

For example, “they made they” could mean:

Che made the crowd wet

The crowd made Che wet

Che made Che wet

or

The crowd made the crowd wet

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2022 8:53 PM

I was using the “they made they” somewhat facetiously since I’m fucking sick of the whole movement. I wait for the day where people state their favourite sex position when introducing themselves at work meetings.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2022 8:55 PM

It did make me laugh, R14, and I guessed you were having a little joke, but these days I never like to assume.

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2022 8:57 PM

I'm Bob and my favourite position is anything that gets me consent.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2022 9:07 PM

I totally screwed that up ^. I should have been Dick.

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2022 9:08 PM

"2. Was confirmed to be HETERO, not LESBO, not BI. She tried to be in a lesbian relationship and it was made clear she is "not wired that way".

This isn't an argument against your point, just a clarification of the actual SATC arc. Miranda never tried to be in a lesbian relationship.

Her coworker who knew she was single, brings Sid (Syd?), a lesbian, to an office softball game because he thinks Miranda is a lesbian. She immediately objects and tells her coworker that she's not gay and apologizes to Syd. Both still play the softball game and Sid and Miranda make some great play and hug and are sitting next to each other after the game when her boss approaches and invites her to a dinner that is "mostly couples" thinking Miranda and Sid are a couple. Miranda runs with it because she wants to get her boss's ear about her work at the firm - which she admits to him days after the dinner. She and Sid are just acting like a couple for that reason, not trying to be in a lesbian relationship. She playfully kisses Sid on the elevator after the party "just to see" but confirms - "nope."

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2022 9:10 PM

^And after the kiss, Sid confirms: "Yeah, you definitely aren't"

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2022 9:12 PM

Miranda replaced her alcohol addiction with an addiction to Che. Maybe she’ll go back to the bottle when Cheryl dumps her.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2022 9:17 PM

Samantha's lesbian storyline was way more interesting. And classier.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2022 9:22 PM

Sonia Braga was beautiful and charming as Maria so it was very believable that women and men would want to be with her. Che? Not so much though we’re supposed to believe everyone wants to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2022 10:02 PM

Those shots of Che in Miranda's fantasy, being all "inhale" were REALLY off putting. Did anyone find that sexy?

Whereas, despite not being into women, someone like Sonia Braga does have this kind of effortless sexuality just as a part of her that is very attractive, even just on the "I'd like to be friends with her", end of things.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2022 10:09 PM

have we seen anything to make Che seem as great as everyone says they is

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2022 10:10 PM

I think Kim was smart to avoid this….for now. She needs creative input into where they take Samantha. I still don’t think a billion dollars would get her to return. She’s stubborn and really nuked the bridge back.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2022 10:14 PM

I broke, just started hate watching and Bradys condom shenanigans is the most palatable mental picture to emerge from this. Charlotte needs atleast 3 more nannies for her situation to be plausible.

So they take Miranda from a second secondary degree pursuant which would make more sense if I didn't know about the great dumbing down that's coming with cliChé..

The writers would serve this whole project by having a Maddoffing of the herd.

This level of petty and I'm barely one quarter through the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2022 10:20 PM

Why would Kim ever return? Unlike SJP, she’s not someone with a pathological need to accumulate money. (SJP’s not just an actress… she’s willing to commercialize herself in ways that long ago sacrificed any boundaries.)

Kim’s continuing to find steady work, and not many actresses her age can say that.

So she’s not willing to do shit work or be treated shittily. So why would she want to be part of a project with no artistic reason to exist beyond being a cash grab? When SJP and the Mean Girl Troupe don’t make her feel welcome? When she has to get naked and be the butt of old lady jokes? When the critical and audience reaction is pretty poor?

I picture her, martini in hand, cackling at the reviews and recaps. Cheers, Kim!

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2022 10:56 PM

Carrie going back to her old apartment partially doesn’t make sense. She just had surgery and she’s fine with walking up and down those steps day after day?

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2022 11:08 PM

I don't even think its about money for SJP. By all accounts, she's a VERY wealthy woman. She could retire and probably not have to downsize. Unless she has secret Johnny Depp-esque spending habits that haven't been reported.

I think it's ego. She can't let go of Carrie. The bitchy way she reacted to the prequel show, the iron wall she has against criticism. She can't let go of being the beautiful ingenue. Hell, even Carrie's hip problem had to be a birth defect and not...gasp...old age. She's Baby Jane Hudson, with more money and better outfits.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2022 11:10 PM

But can she sing? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2022 11:19 PM

With Carrie's money she can afford to hire someone to carry her up and down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2022 11:59 PM

Next episode the young, hip, sexy, and slutty jewelry designer who moved in below Carrie creates a matching bedazzled strap-on/ nipple ring combo for Ché.

by Anonymousreply 32January 25, 2022 12:06 AM

Episode 2, the makeup and lighting used is mercilessly aging. SJP aged in hamster years between episodes 1-2.

(I know grief takes a toll, but not THAT drastically)

Yeah, Brady is obnoxious and the layout makes ZERO sense but the point of Kristen needs to go the ridiculously large breast and ass route to balance out her midsection. But she's still looking the best (not saying much).

Episode 3: zzzzing after the eyeroll repetitive stress injury. Episode 4: the HELL is the costume department on?? Seema is a needed breath of fresh air

Every episode SJP/Carrie looks like a Mormon sister wife atleast once.

by Anonymousreply 33January 25, 2022 12:58 AM

^The point of the torch being passed was hammered in like the boys headboard ^

by Anonymousreply 34January 25, 2022 1:00 AM

How many more episodes are left, one, two?

by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2022 1:05 AM

The last episode was so much more like the original SATC. FINALLY!

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2022 1:17 AM

WEHT the "guy, this is gonna be SO good!" troll? What do they think of the show so far?

by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2022 1:34 AM

SJP — ego vs money? Who knows. I can say that her friends are shit… people like Andy and John Benjamin Hickey who would be pained to be around around not famous. It’s a poor reflection on her.

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2022 1:38 AM

I’m not so sure Kim gave up Samantha for reasons many of you think. Her ego was wounded. She wanted and deserved more money. She wanted more respect. She didn’t feel SJP treated her right. Though, they did give her Emmy bait in S6 with her cancer story.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2022 1:46 AM

SJP didn’t treat her right. That’s beyond dispute.

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2022 1:57 AM

Those of you have been through it will know: there are few feelings in life better than quitting a job that treated you like shit and knowing you never have to go crawling back. It's like an orgasm for the soul.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2022 2:11 AM

Isn’t CHE the abbreviation for the Cleveland airport?

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2022 2:15 AM

No, R42, that is CLE.

It is Cleveland Hopkins Airport, though, so maybe that is why you thought that.

Maybe Shady Ass and Miranda will decide to stay after they flee to the Cleve. They can live Liz Lemon's dream.

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2022 2:51 AM

When did Sara Ramirez go non-binary? I remember her being femme back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2022 4:28 AM

I actually liked Che in ep 1, the smooth way she handled Miranda's outburst and her kind offer to Carrie if a bouncer was needed at Big's funeral.

Miranda is surrounded by people with whom she has nothing in common, so Che isn't even all that much of a stretch for her.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2022 4:33 AM

The fraus at primetimer are furious at Miranda and unanimously hate Che Guevara.

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2022 4:39 AM

Uh, so many people have a bizaare view of "drinking problems".

Many, many people hit the booze hard when they're under stress or going through difficult patches in their life. Doesn't mean they're an alcoholic...they're just using booze as a helpful crutch/mood elevator to help deal with/forget their woes. You can be a situational boozer and back away from it.

People seem to love to label themselves/others. I've seen it happen where people start boozing/drugging it up a bit more than they should be and all of a sudden they're ALCOHOLICS/DRUG ABUSERS and 'in recovery' when in reality they're nothing of the sort. But, they enjoy the drama of it all.

by Anonymousreply 47January 25, 2022 5:18 AM

And, while speaking of Cynthia Nixon and her rather terrible performance on And Just Like That, I just watched her in the first episode of The Gilded Age and....she's the best thing in that terrible show. She's the ONLY one giving a decent performance...though that's slight praise in a show full of awful performances, terrible writing and flaccid direction.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2022 5:21 AM

R29 I think it's also got a lot to do with SJP's shoe and perfume lines. She has to keep the whole Carrie mythology going to get in the frau purse.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2022 5:52 AM

I wonder if they do something left field like have something happen to Brady to make Miranda realise how selfish she has been.

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2022 6:15 AM

I'd be hard put to feel any grief about Brady. Seldom have I seen such an unattractive, unlovable kid.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2022 6:30 AM

Che is the new hard cock this show desperately needed! Men? Fuck hunky men!! There is Che!

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2022 6:37 AM

R51, there's nothing wrong with Brady to my eyes, he seems like a sweet kid with character. And the actor did a good job of that stupid "ride 'em cowboy" line, managing to not make it cringe-worthy, which is difficult with lines written for Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2022 8:01 AM

The direction is just awful! Awful!

The only scene that has risen to "HBO drama quality" is the one between Audra Mcdonald and Denee Benton.

All these actors — except Louisa Jacobson, maybe — are better than this!

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2022 8:17 AM

There are a couple promising twinks below stairs, but only one got to say anything...

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2022 8:17 AM

Sorry, I meant this for the Gilded Age threads, obv -

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2022 8:19 AM

HBO killed promising shows in the 2000s like Rome, Carnival and Deadwood because they got all cheapass but here we are 15 years later and they're giving green lights and 2 season orders to shit like AJLT and The Gilded Age.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2022 9:14 AM

R47 agree 100%

Drinking excessively because you’re going through shit doesn’t make you an alcoholic. That label fits physically addicted people. How many are/were drinking excessively during the pandemic? A lot. The vast majority aren’t by definition alcoholics.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2022 10:53 AM

[quote]The fraus at primetimer are furious at Miranda and unanimously hate Che Guevara.

But that's noteworthy because if the viewers aren't there, HBO will shift interest elsewhere. Still, it should be an easy property to strengthen, if HBO gives notes.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2022 11:40 AM

One thing that annoys me is that the characters of Miranda and Charlotte are being dumbed down and humiliated by the writers to show their “unconscious biases”, but Carrie is this wise sage who has no internal racism at all.

And so many lazy, childish plot devices. For god’s sake, they had Charlotte not being able to tell two black women apart at a party. Society born and raised Charlotte would never put her foot in her mouth in a situation like that.

by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2022 12:24 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2022 12:27 PM

He’s 67 years old, so a bit older than the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2022 12:42 PM

R46, did you see the mod at threaten to ban anyone who misgendered Che? Hah!

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2022 1:03 PM

The mods at Primetimer threaten to ban users for breathing too regularly. I used to read those forums more often, but there's no point really. Any time it gets interesting, the mods come in and shut everyone down. I'm surprised they still have people left posting.

by Anonymousreply 64January 25, 2022 1:43 PM

^ Is it the reinvention of TwOP?

by Anonymousreply 65January 25, 2022 1:50 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure many of the same people from TWoP are involved or were in the setup of Primetimer.

by Anonymousreply 66January 25, 2022 2:07 PM

R48 Yep, seeing her in Gilded Age reminded me that she played Emily Dickinson in A Quiet Passion (2016) and was truly brilliant. Miranda in AJLT is a messy cartoon, not the actor's fault. Although seems like she would have resisted the hopeless wigs at least.

by Anonymousreply 67January 25, 2022 2:13 PM

That explains the hammer.

It's sad when a fetish controls your life.

by Anonymousreply 68January 25, 2022 2:14 PM

R68 I actually believe Miranda in AJLT might be the actor’s fault. Many on here have the sneaking suspicion that CN basically asked or required the writers to turn Miranda into Cynthia Nixon with the late in life lesbian/non-binary lover thing.

by Anonymousreply 69January 25, 2022 3:51 PM

Agree re Cynthia Nixon but that Hey it’s Che shit is ALL the Writer’s Room. Utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 70January 25, 2022 3:54 PM

The Wrap agrees with DL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 25, 2022 4:35 PM

Che reminds me of Tyne Daly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 25, 2022 4:43 PM

There used to be a claim the women were eventually based on gay men. Perhaps that's how age is being seen, too.

by Anonymousreply 73January 25, 2022 4:52 PM

I want Miranda to find Steve, Che and Bobby Lee in bed having sex together, and there should be a laugh track or a drop whistle or the Benny Hill theme playing

by Anonymousreply 74January 25, 2022 5:03 PM

MPK is an ugly elf

by Anonymousreply 75January 25, 2022 5:04 PM

I hate hearing about, or God forbid, seeing the sex lives of ugly people. The Bobby Lee character is just as repulsive as Sara Ramirez's. Gray haired Cynthia and Evan Handler's aren't any more appealing.

Don't hate me, I just can't.

by Anonymousreply 76January 25, 2022 5:36 PM

I saw Sara Ramirez on broadway in a musical called A Class Act maybe 20 years ago? She was the best thing in it. Funny, sexy, great voice. Glad she’s happy being her true self but playing Che wasn’t a great career move.

by Anonymousreply 77January 25, 2022 5:47 PM

R77 The world is such an odd place....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 25, 2022 5:50 PM

I agree... she's got star quality. She is tackling this horrible part with gusto. Not her fault the character is so dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 79January 25, 2022 6:22 PM

I mean, it sounds like Sara was heavily involved in developing Che.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 25, 2022 6:30 PM

Really? FFS. There’s too much interference in the narrative which is why it is such an inconsistent shambles between the “Carrie so brave, adorbs and fashion”, Hey it’s Che and Miranda the fingering fiend.

by Anonymousreply 81January 25, 2022 6:37 PM

Actually that is probably the main problem. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Actors, here's you words - learn 'em.

by Anonymousreply 82January 25, 2022 6:41 PM

At the end of the day, the buck stops with MPK. He could've made Miranda's journey to LesbiTown better, and Che could've been more than a bulldyke that smokes weed EVERYWHERE

by Anonymousreply 83January 25, 2022 6:47 PM

But his writing speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 84January 25, 2022 6:50 PM

Whenever I see a photo of MPK I always think of this....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 25, 2022 9:20 PM

Speaking of Shane… even Max was sexier than Che.

by Anonymousreply 86January 25, 2022 9:21 PM

^haha R85. There really IS a resemblance!

by Anonymousreply 87January 25, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote]Speaking of Shane… even Max was sexier than Che.

And at least Ivan was sweet when wooing Kit.

The writers have got to know how badly they balled up the Che character, surely?

by Anonymousreply 88January 25, 2022 9:22 PM

Things I've read have indicated that Nixon wasn't that keen on doing a reboot and had to be talked into doing it. The lesbian plot line was a way to lure her into doing the show....even though it makes little sense.

by Anonymousreply 89January 25, 2022 9:26 PM

They have these three great actresses in LTW and Seema and Naya - they could easily have built a show around Carrie, widowed in New York, branching out because Samantha fell out and went to London and Miranda had been killed in a shooting after being a bitch one too many times to the wrong fellow New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 90January 26, 2022 12:40 AM

r90 And here we all thought Samantha would've been the one who got Looking for Mr. Goodbarred.

by Anonymousreply 91January 26, 2022 1:06 AM

They could easily have had a lunatic push Carrie in front of a speeding subway car then moved on to more interesting characters.

by Anonymousreply 92January 26, 2022 1:09 AM

It really does make little sense R89. Miranda was very straight in the original series. She also wasn't so clumsily stupid.

by Anonymousreply 93January 26, 2022 2:09 AM

I didn't, R63. Fortunately. The mods at these places are always deeply stupid, always curbing interesting discussion for the sake of... I don't know. Or care.

by Anonymousreply 94January 26, 2022 2:21 AM

For the sake of their own empty lives. If you moderate an internet site, you've given up.

by Anonymousreply 95January 26, 2022 2:28 AM

True, R95. They're like mini kapos. Idiots who are given an iota of (empty) power and love to use it. I was once scolded for pointing out an analogy between an episode of a TV series and the (then) political climate. It's a big no no to reference anything other than the current episode they're discussing. Not even previous episodes or promos. Or talk about the actors. Nope. It's out of topic, they screech. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 96January 26, 2022 2:45 AM

If Carrie was going to move back to her brownstone (to bring back the old apt for nostalgia) then she should have bought the whole thing. But of course despite her gazillions of dollars she has to remain totally unaffected and “cool.”

But yet move into that one apt for 10 seconds just to get in some real estate porn. (And I still want to know what that beeping was!)

by Anonymousreply 97January 26, 2022 2:46 AM

[quote]It's a big no no to reference anything other than the current episode they're discussing.

Even then, if they decide a topic is too controversial, they will ban people - for instance for some reason they decided Cindy McCain was not to be discussed on The View board, even on episodes where Cindy McCain was on the panel, talking about the issues people had brought up.

I have seen some pushback from the community occasionally, but it's pretty rare, and only when the poster seems sure they are on really firm footing.

by Anonymousreply 98January 26, 2022 2:49 AM

That's why I never post there anymore. I just went back to read how the fraus were reacting to the Miranda storyline. I remember back in the TWOP days they loooved Steve, he was like their dream man.

by Anonymousreply 99January 26, 2022 2:54 AM

Ugh. Fucking Steve.

by Anonymousreply 100January 26, 2022 3:18 AM

She should have dumped Steve after she found the skidmarks.

by Anonymousreply 101January 26, 2022 4:13 PM

^her period stained panties were no prize

by Anonymousreply 102January 26, 2022 4:38 PM

I'm jushst making shum shhnackshs!

by Anonymousreply 103January 26, 2022 8:11 PM

Please elucidate me, when Cynthia says its good luck Chris Noth is cut from the finale, did she know he had a rep for sexual harassment or is she just tossing him to the lions without fair trial?

by Anonymousreply 104January 26, 2022 9:15 PM

Cynthia’s not an a attorney; she just plays one on TV

by Anonymousreply 105January 26, 2022 9:26 PM

Did Cynthia just throw an old colleague under the bus?

by Anonymousreply 106January 26, 2022 10:33 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 26, 2022 10:50 PM

So, Ramirez was chosen by Nixon specifically for the role? That's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 108January 26, 2022 10:56 PM

Shame Cynthia didn’t want to retain what was right with the show: the disciplined writing and the laughs.

by Anonymousreply 109January 26, 2022 11:09 PM

R109 to be fair, those went out the window a WHILE ago.

The intent is admirable, the execution is ABYSMAL

by Anonymousreply 110January 26, 2022 11:12 PM

Cynthia Nixon sounds EXHAUSTING.

by Anonymousreply 111January 26, 2022 11:32 PM

It just proves the bubble which will probably cause the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 112January 27, 2022 12:01 AM

And just like that, a piano fell on Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 113January 27, 2022 2:01 AM

I assume someone as self-serious as Cynthia Nixon considers herself an artist; so she should know that legislating a show in that way is pretty much the antithesis of “art.”

That said, why couldn’t her hair be like that on the show? She looks worlds better here.

by Anonymousreply 114January 27, 2022 3:21 AM

Cynthia's jacked teeth look perfect for her other role in The Gilded Age. But surely by 2022, modern dentistry has arrived in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 115January 27, 2022 3:27 AM

I never understood her fucked up, grey teeth.

by Anonymousreply 116January 27, 2022 3:28 AM

Thanks for confirming you’re insufferable, Cynthia, so we don’t have to speculate.

by Anonymousreply 117January 27, 2022 4:30 AM

How furious do you think SJP is with Cynthia for hijacking HER show? It was interesting how lukewarm she was in publicly supporting Cynthia's foray into politics.

by Anonymousreply 118January 27, 2022 4:45 AM

My show - my movie!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 27, 2022 7:15 AM

Episode 9:

The brownstone painting was a good device to bring all the characters together. I do really like Andre and Naya, but these are supposed to be side characters. Bringing so much of their own personal and separate story into show is what makes them not seem integrated. LTW, while making a big splash at first, only appears intermittently and that's fine.

Carrie and Seema remain a great pairing as friends who met in later life.

I was surprised there wasn't even more conflict with Miranda and Che - to the point where they weren't seeing each other at all. I guess they've settled on not dating but getting to know each other. Miranda was obnoxious with Che again when she shows up at her apartment, but seemed to accept pulling back in the end.

The scene with Carrie and the teacher not having the dinner date was good. The arc with the ring and Carrie trying to move on was well done.

Even with the scenes of Steve and Carrie talking, I think the arc of Steve trying to understand Miranda and come to terms with the state of his marriage is bit too thin.

Lily's period stuff - whatever. I guess the episode was partially about parenting. It was fine, but they cram so much into these episodes.

The guy Seema meets who lets them into the club at the end is the actor who played Carrie's Prada guy. I also know him from Emily in Paris; I'm sure others know him from other shows as well.

"Don't be a white lady who writes a check" was too try-hard, which is I criticism about the show that I agree with. The effort to say the "right" things is palpable.

Overall, an okay episode. I like the show even if I understand a lot of the criticisms and agree with some and have some of my own.

by Anonymousreply 120January 27, 2022 7:53 AM

Sounds like more teachable moments in the new episode

by Anonymousreply 121January 27, 2022 9:06 AM

Charlotte's daughter is an annoying, shrill brat

by Anonymousreply 122January 27, 2022 1:06 PM

I try not to spoil in advance so my hate is fresh when I watch, but I scrolled past a picture on the Daily Mail that showed they resorted to one of those real life tragedies that occurs when you wear white pants in public. I have no context for it but at - literally - first glance it seems hard to give it the benefit of the doubt.

So really looking forward to that.

We've had vomit, now this. Maybe in the finale they'll go out for Mexican or explore pussy farts.

by Anonymousreply 123January 27, 2022 1:12 PM

I know that Steve (and the actor) has hearing aids, but he talks like someone who was born deaf. The scene where he’s asking Carrie about Miranda was especially noticeable.

What was the outfit LTW wore to the painting party?

by Anonymousreply 124January 27, 2022 1:50 PM

Ew, they showed Harry's dick? Glad I fast forwarded through the blowjob scene.

by Anonymousreply 125January 27, 2022 2:10 PM

I knew it was Nixon's input molding the wokeness of the show.

What I don't get about the viewer kvetching is that everyone is comparing the poor quality of the reboot to all the merits of the original Sex and the City series—and pretending like the abysmal movies never existed.

Sex and the City became a terrible dramedy as soon as it was sent to theatres. I don't know why anyone would expect the writing to be stellar all of a sudden just because it's back on TV. It lost its mojo before the TV series wrapped.

by Anonymousreply 126January 27, 2022 2:23 PM

I still wonder what is the reason for that R126. Is it because MPK needs the input and creativity of a team of talented female writers and he wrote the movies alone? Did they employ the writers from the original for the reboot? AJLT reminds me of The Conners in the sense that the players are the same but the writing has declined so steeply in quality that you wish the original writers could get involved.

by Anonymousreply 127January 27, 2022 2:42 PM

"Sex and the City became a terrible dramedy as soon as it was sent to theatres. I don't know why anyone would expect the writing to be stellar all of a sudden just because it's back on TV. It lost its mojo before the TV series wrapped."

I've often said the original SATC went down hill (with episode exceptions) as it went on. So, IMO, the first three seasons are the best, four is less so, and then 5 and 6 are even worse. But having rewatched the entire series recently, the latter seasons are better written than I remember. The movies of course are an entirely different thing. I never saw the second movie.

by Anonymousreply 128January 27, 2022 3:03 PM

A lot of people feel the original series declined in quality when SJP decided to turn Carrie (and by extension herself) into a bombshell instead of the flawed, quirky character she was during the first few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 129January 27, 2022 3:08 PM

And just like that, with her role on “The Gilded Age” Cynthia Nixon’s gray, jacked up teeth makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 130January 27, 2022 3:45 PM

R128 yeah I agree with this. But I also realized watching the old shows that I never liked Miranda - even if she wasn’t the train wreck she is now.

by Anonymousreply 131January 27, 2022 4:31 PM

Why is Lily who is at MINIMUM 15 in the show, asking about tampons? Shouldn't this be covered already???

by Anonymousreply 132January 27, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote] It was fine, but they cram so much into these episodes.

Which is exactly what I meant by the disciplined writing at r109. A-plot, b-plot, brunch, “I couldn’t help but wonder…” and the result was a well structured 30-minute screwball comedy.

by Anonymousreply 133January 27, 2022 4:50 PM

[quote] Why is Lily who is at MINIMUM 15 in the show, asking about tampons? Shouldn't this be covered already???

Apparently, up to this point, she has refused to use one.

It made me wonder, what the hell was she using to sop up Auntie Flo's juicy juice?

by Anonymousreply 134January 27, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote] But I also realized watching the old shows that I never liked Miranda - even if she wasn’t the train wreck she is now.

R131 I realised that I liked Miranda because I felt I had to because she was the smart, bitchy one, and she wasn’t as immature as Carrie, as slutty as Samantha or as shallow as Charlotte, and because she wasn’t the prettiest of the sexiest of the bunch. But over 20+ years, I realise that her sarcasm and negativity isn’t necessarily a virtue, but a form of vanity and self-hatred, even if it does make for a “flawed”, “true-to-life” character.

by Anonymousreply 135January 27, 2022 4:58 PM

Halfway through the latest episode and Miranda is so shrill, take it down a notch bitch!

by Anonymousreply 136January 27, 2022 4:59 PM

Again, I like the show, but when I'm most invested in the question of whether Naya and Andre will stay together or if their respective desires to have or not have kids will drive them apart, there's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 137January 27, 2022 5:08 PM

Charlotte looked good this ep. but she’s still slurring her words.

If Miranda had been more attractive in the OG show, she probably would have been more well-liked. I found her unpleasant AND hard to look at. That’s not a good combo. In the new series, she’s aggressively irritating.

by Anonymousreply 138January 27, 2022 5:12 PM

I can’t believe how much Miranda irritates me!

This was a better episode overall I felt.

by Anonymousreply 139January 27, 2022 5:15 PM

It's a shame the show is just now starting to hit it's stride this late into it. This is why they should have had the Big, and Miranda/Steve story lines happen before this time line. It would have freed up screen time to introduce the new charters.

by Anonymousreply 140January 27, 2022 5:17 PM

Of course Che is SO POPULAR AND AMAZING they get approached by hyperventilating fangirls in diners.

by Anonymousreply 141January 27, 2022 5:25 PM

I actually like Mario Cantone in this episode. Between the slutty outfit and bringing a nazi to Charlotte’s dinner he was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 142January 27, 2022 5:29 PM

GET OUT!!!!

I love Anthony.

by Anonymousreply 143January 27, 2022 5:33 PM

R142 he looked good in that outfit

by Anonymousreply 144January 27, 2022 5:37 PM

Che is getting the "everyone has to say you're AMAZING in every scene" Carrie treatment, without the buildup of being a character that people know or care about. Someone drop Che in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 145January 27, 2022 5:39 PM

R85, MPK reminds me of Malachai from Children of The Corn.

by Anonymousreply 146January 27, 2022 5:42 PM

That Holocaust "joke" was so fucking cringe.

by Anonymousreply 147January 27, 2022 5:46 PM

Hmmm...tampon humor, Holocaust humor, AND a psychotic Miranda and Che scene? BRING ON THE EMMYS!

by Anonymousreply 148January 27, 2022 5:54 PM

He looked funny in the outfit, and that's a triumph for this series that can't figure out if it wants to be funny or a seminar on societal consciousness and equity.

by Anonymousreply 149January 27, 2022 6:13 PM

Carrie was actually kind to Steve. Miranda is so bad she is making Carrie look good in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 150January 27, 2022 6:28 PM

I can't stand Che, but I have no idea why they are putting up with Miranda's insanity. The granny puss can't be that good, especially with young fangirls offering themselves up everywhere they go.

by Anonymousreply 151January 27, 2022 6:32 PM

Fangirls with Adam's apples.

The dinner date: what kind of idiot determines that you are at a dinner party, and then instantly busts out the "Holocaust was a hoax," garbage.

I did laugh, but I have a hard time believing anyone could be that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 152January 27, 2022 6:35 PM

R152 exactly. It could've been more nuanced and had his gross views come out casually at dinner, but hey, let's go for a cheap Holocaust joke! And air the episode on Holocaust Remembrance Day! Cyn must be so proud

by Anonymousreply 153January 27, 2022 6:40 PM

What happened to Miranda’s trip to Cleveland? I thought that I had skipped an episode.

Never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 154January 27, 2022 7:02 PM

I guess she went and then they jumped forward in time.

by Anonymousreply 155January 27, 2022 7:17 PM

I assumed they were in Cleveland when they were at the diner, and the girls who approached them were people from the audience—and then they were back in NYC,

But just a guess because the writing and direction are unclear. I did also wonder for a moment if I had missed a scene or an episode.

I feel like the writers believe they are being clever by setting up certain obvious expectations and then subverting them. We all assumed Miranda would catch her with someone else. The writing did a fakeout. We all assumed Che would break up with her or ghost her. She clings back instead. It's pretty poorly done, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 156January 27, 2022 7:46 PM

I've read that the last straw for Kim Cattrall was that there was going to be a storyline with Samantha and teenaged Brady sexting each other. Cattrall thought that was totally inappropriate (and rightly so) and that confirmed her decision to not come back.

by Anonymousreply 157January 27, 2022 7:48 PM

They were at Empire Diner in NYC

by Anonymousreply 158January 27, 2022 7:48 PM

I thought Miranda showed up with cookies at her apartment before they went to the diner. So I figured they were in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 159January 27, 2022 7:49 PM

R159 the diner was their first scene. The AWFUL apartment scene was later

I get Cynthia wanting to live her real life awakening, but does Miranda have to act like a retarded tween? She can't have feelings for a woman AND act like an adult?

by Anonymousreply 160January 27, 2022 7:52 PM

Maybe Miranda's 'dabbling in alcoholism' thing was another red-herring fakeout and we will soon find out she's seriously addicted to painkillers or meth or something that is causing actual brain damage.

by Anonymousreply 161January 27, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote]I get Cynthia wanting to live her real life awakening,

SJP and Michael Patrick King should've said to her "you know what? It's really not that interesting. We're not going to do it."

by Anonymousreply 162January 27, 2022 8:02 PM

The holocaust joke was tasteless in an episode released on holocaust Remembrance Day.

by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2022 8:04 PM

Oops sorry, this was pointed out above. ^ A bunch of previous posts showed up after I posted this. The board has been super glitchy for me recently.

by Anonymousreply 164January 27, 2022 8:06 PM

R162 the IDEA is fine, the execution is TERRIBLE

by Anonymousreply 165January 27, 2022 8:07 PM

I thought it was a really boring episode overall, although it was the first where Miranda (when not with Che) acted like a normal human being and not anxiety level mach 10. Bringing everybody together at the painting bee worked. I couldn't care less about the stork dilemma. LTW's outfit was stupid. Screechy Lily needs shove her tampon in her mouth. Anthony's hot pants were terrible. The holocaust thing was offensive for the pointless absurdity. That doesn't happen. In the canon of that doesn't happen that wasn't even something that deserved to happen so we could say it doesn't happen. This is not hate watching. This is oh for fuck's sake watching.

Carrie's thing about the ring and her acting in the scene of the no date date was really nice work and the only part of the episode that worked for me.

And Just Like That, it'll be over next week. They didn't even set up next week in any useful way. Piece of shit. Makes the Gilded Age look better by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 166January 27, 2022 8:59 PM

To R165's point, the show could have been rebooted with only Charlotte and Carrie and better integrated the new women. If this show can stagger along without Samantha, it could sure as hell manage without Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 167January 27, 2022 9:01 PM

I'd watch a show about LTW and Nya (two VERY different Black women) coming together.

by Anonymousreply 168January 27, 2022 9:04 PM

I would have thought Miranda had the most potental as a spinoff seed. She was always repressed and type A and making mistakes, and the character seemed like a Frasier Crane type who had untapped potential. But oy, this is not good.

Of the four originals, Charlotte was my least favorite by far. I used to wonder why she was there.

Now, of the three, Charlotte is my favorite because Davis seems so daffy and affable. Although I think Davis should make a public apology for participating in a "my first black friend!" story at 55 and in 2022.

My favorite characters in order are Seema, Nya, Natasha, Lisa, Charlotte, Harry, Carrie, Anthony, Lily, Steve, Rock, Miranda, Brady, Peloton, Che.

by Anonymousreply 169January 27, 2022 9:09 PM

[quote]Now, of the three, Charlotte is my favorite because Davis seems so daffy

It's the resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 170January 27, 2022 9:12 PM

Charlotte has a huge caboose.

LTW's husband... we need some of him in the shower.

by Anonymousreply 171January 27, 2022 9:19 PM

OMG R170 brilliant

by Anonymousreply 172January 27, 2022 9:19 PM

Will Cynthia submit her captivating work in the Stairwell Scene for an Emmy? She's a shoo-in!

by Anonymousreply 173January 27, 2022 9:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 27, 2022 9:38 PM

From R174: "It’s in the way she treats both her husband Steve (David Eigenberg) and her son Brady (Niall Cunningham) as though they’re a burden she can’t rid herself of quickly enough"

It would be so satisfy if they'd do a scene where Brady basically tells her go, do whatever you want, you're no more to me than I am to you.

by Anonymousreply 175January 27, 2022 9:44 PM

I was just about to post that av club article, which is written by a non-binary person, by the way.

As much as I like Seema, I hated her dialogue with the club owner. Do 50-year-olds talk like that, with such superficial banter? If so, no wonder she's single.

by Anonymousreply 176January 27, 2022 9:46 PM

"Do 50-year-olds talk like that, with such superficial banter?" Of course they do. That's not the ONLY way they talk, but there's definitely no "always mature and substantive" flick that switches on at a particular age.

by Anonymousreply 177January 27, 2022 10:05 PM

I love that they brought back the Prada salesman from the original series as the club owner who flirts with Seema. I love him on Emily in Paris, too. I wonder if the season finale will be a full hour.

by Anonymousreply 178January 27, 2022 10:09 PM

R176 I like her and I thought that was a cute fantastical encounter, but it also seems to betray her character based on who she tells us she is.

We see Seema as a confident, funny, proud older woman.

She tells us (Carrie) she has everything except she hasn't landed a man in her whole lifetime.

We see her very comfortably flirt with some random guy on the street. No awkwardness, no bashfulness, pure sex cougar.

Yet she longs for a relationship.

We've not seen or been told why she can't get a guy. Is she too picky like Seinfeld's character was? Unlikely; she just hooked a dirtball on the streets of New York. Is she, like Carrie, only interested in a guy if he is super rich? That would be in character for her—but she is depicted as being rich and networked as a real estate agent to celebrities (if you count Colin Jost as a celebrity). So she could meet someone. Is she only looking for a Mr. Perfect of Indian heritage? Clearly not; she made that clear at the Diwali party.

I don't see any reason why Seema can't get a guy.

Well, I can see one reason. If she didn't have man trouble, she'd very transparently be "Indian Samantha."

by Anonymousreply 179January 27, 2022 10:12 PM

I feel really, really cheated.

Last episode showed ridiculous Miranda going to catch a flight to Cleveland so she could tell Che they could be together.

What was supposed to happen in this episode is that she busts Che chowing down on another muff. They's a standup comedian (a painfully unfunny one, but apparently in the AJLT alternate universe, they's a hilarious genius), it's what they do. Miranda is exposed as the naive, selfish, drunk-on-pussy-juice fool she is, and goes slinking back to Manhattan with her tail between her legs.

But of course, Che is one of the new "diversity" characters, and therefore can't be shown in any sort of negative light whatsoever.

It's a total cliche plot point, of course, but you cannot telegraph this and then not follow up! Do not deny us the satisfaction of seeing Miranda make a complete ass of herself!

by Anonymousreply 180January 27, 2022 10:26 PM

I tried, but by episodes 5-7 are a totally unremarkable bore. The ultra minimalist apartment was just downright dumb, couldn’t care less about Miranda being a self centered and self destructive mess. Che just needs to be in the rear view, but I recall them ending on an 'I love you!' note which is beyond grating and Steve...the poor, simple, man baby is the only sympathetic character in that mess.

Charlotte may as well be living in another universe for all of her relatability, blowjobs aside, (but she gets a bit of a break given she's still actually trying to keep her and Harry's relationship in a healthy place).

Better apartment Carrie was another set of clichés, kinda funny. But seriously who spends hours to put on an expensive gown to eat popcorn?!?

Not sure what the hell else happened because it's not the most...engaging of shows.

by Anonymousreply 181January 27, 2022 10:30 PM

Carrie's fanciness also betrays her supposed mourning.

When she showed up at her second date with the widower, she was all glammed up and in a fancy dress and fancy shoes. She told the guy she missed her dead husband too much to go through with the date. But she doesn't miss him too much to be legitimately depressed enough not to play dress up?

What the characters are missing is humanity.

Yes, we all know Carrie's character is materialistic and a fashion victim. Even such people are human, and when they become truly depressed and are in mourning, they don't care about playing dress up. It would be endearing to see Carrie give up on her appearance because she is distraught. Instead, we see her and know how much time and effort she puts into being 'cute' even just to go tell someone she is depressed, and it's off putting and it makes her unlikable.

The writers and/or executive-stars don't understand basic psychology at all. It's very weird.

by Anonymousreply 182January 27, 2022 10:37 PM

[quote] flick that switches on

You sound like a really self-assured moron. A woman in her 50s who has been unsuccessful in finding lasting relationships might reflect and then gradually mature, change, and develop.

by Anonymousreply 183January 27, 2022 10:44 PM

Or they're projecting.

by Anonymousreply 184January 27, 2022 10:54 PM

I agree they should have started with Miranda divorced amicably from Steve and Big dead but show flashbacks of what happened.

by Anonymousreply 185January 27, 2022 11:19 PM

[quote] It would be so satisfy if they'd do a scene where Brady basically tells her go, do whatever you want, you're no more to me than I am to you.

And then have him say “By the way, one night when I was sexting with Samantha, she told me you wanted to abort me. Whore!”

by Anonymousreply 186January 27, 2022 11:22 PM

I was under the impression Samantha wouldn’t have known it was Brady she was sexting with.

by Anonymousreply 187January 27, 2022 11:24 PM

Is there a preview for next week? There doesn’t appear to be.

by Anonymousreply 188January 27, 2022 11:42 PM

Carrie could have had dinner with the poor guy instead of dragging him down to the restaurant because she didn’t want to be rude and cancel via text.

by Anonymousreply 189January 27, 2022 11:42 PM

The “Holocaust was a hoax“ scene was lame and very badly written. They could have used a much more subtle scenario to unmask Justin.

by Anonymousreply 190January 28, 2022 2:52 AM

R190, I think the moment was just a setup for Cantone to scream "Get Out!", and nothing more.

The writers were thinking - what is the worst thing this rando could say to elicit a patented scream from our dear Mario...and that's what they came up with.

It was really stupid, because nobody would ever say that, in that situation, even if they were Hitler himself.

by Anonymousreply 191January 28, 2022 3:11 AM

I liked the scene! I liked that it wasn’t subtle.

by Anonymousreply 192January 28, 2022 3:12 AM

I would have sat Justin down for dinner and then say something incredibly smug and offensive. Mario could have still had his little Get Out scream. No gay Nazi in New York (and there are plenty) would say something like this in the hallway a few minutes in. It was just lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 193January 28, 2022 3:17 AM

[quote] No gay Nazi in New York (and there are plenty)

There are? I've never met one.

by Anonymousreply 194January 28, 2022 3:21 AM

For a brief moment I thought the writers were aiming at a Carrie-Steve romance. They are that bad.

by Anonymousreply 195January 28, 2022 3:22 AM

The subtle kind, R194. Not the Michigan militia type.

by Anonymousreply 196January 28, 2022 3:23 AM

I've still never met a gay man in NYC who was rabidly racist/anti-Semitic at a Nazi-like level. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 197January 28, 2022 3:30 AM

Cynthia is much better in The Gilded Age. Her wig is much better, too.

by Anonymousreply 198January 28, 2022 4:21 AM

I know why Seema can't get a man - she's a hard, scary ballbuster.

by Anonymousreply 199January 28, 2022 4:33 AM

Ugh, I could have done without the menstruation and menopause segment. Poor Charlotte, first they had her shit her pants in Mexico, now she had a menstrual accident.

by Anonymousreply 200January 28, 2022 7:33 AM

Yes R150 I actually thought Carrie showed a lot of compassion for him once they sorted out the wedding ring down the drain drama.

by Anonymousreply 201January 28, 2022 8:48 AM

I'm surprised they didn't do the menstruation story with Rock so we could have an it's not only females who have periods lecture.

by Anonymousreply 202January 28, 2022 8:51 AM

Why has no one suggested that Miranda get some therapy? She has clearly gone off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 203January 28, 2022 8:52 AM

Because she's being her true, authentic self R203. No-one as stunning and brave as she is needs to try and make sense of their questionable life choices.

by Anonymousreply 204January 28, 2022 8:56 AM

Cynthia Nixon was on WWHL tonight and the fans asked tough questions. Andy did not. Cynthia had a smug response to every critical question. When someone asked her about turning Miranda into Cynthia, she said that Miranda's life is a mess and hers isn't.

by Anonymousreply 205January 28, 2022 9:02 AM

Fucking hell that woman is the dictionary definition of arrogant R205

by Anonymousreply 206January 28, 2022 9:04 AM

I seriously doubt a greedy little bottom like Anthony would let some retrogressive politics stand in the way of a good fuck.

by Anonymousreply 207January 28, 2022 9:54 AM

Carrie’s shoes when she was painting really pissed me off. I get that it’s supposed to be ‘cute’ that she wears incredibly expensive and impractical shoes constantly, but wearing them while painting is just a bit sad and pathetic. Of course she then stepped in paint and basically blamed Steve too. Put on some sneakers to spend all day painting like a grown ass woman. I find the flaunting of wealth in inappropriate situations on this show like painting a house for charity really gross.

by Anonymousreply 208January 28, 2022 11:14 AM

The way the Right has gone off the rails and says the quiet parts out loud now it was totally believable about Anthony’s date saying that out loud. And it was funny.

Ep 9 was the best yet. It is finally getting back to being more SATC-ish. I enjoyed every moment except Che. Che really has to go.

by Anonymousreply 209January 28, 2022 11:25 AM

Carrie has always been very ghetto fabulous in her wearing inappropriate clothes all the time. Agree it’s obnoxious and also weirdly trashy.

by Anonymousreply 210January 28, 2022 11:27 AM

I would love to see that interview on WWHL (words I can say I honestly never expected to utter.) How soon do they upload after broadcast? I checked website and it's not there. (Though I expect the Daily Mail will do a summary of her grandest hits.)

by Anonymousreply 211January 28, 2022 12:59 PM

[quote]ghetto fabulous

Jesus Christ you are retarded R210.

by Anonymousreply 212January 28, 2022 1:10 PM

Steve is hot: he turned me on in satc and he's turning me on now.

by Anonymousreply 213January 28, 2022 1:27 PM

He was rocking the daddy forearms

by Anonymousreply 214January 28, 2022 1:55 PM

Who would have thought that people watched SATC for the annoyingly babyvoiced Steve.

by Anonymousreply 215January 28, 2022 1:58 PM

Are we going to just gloss over that absolute joke LTW was wearing to paint? Those thigh high construction looking boots and jacket dress with golden hairdresser tools sticking out of the pockets? What in the actual fuck?

by Anonymousreply 216January 28, 2022 1:59 PM

Can you imagine having to listen to Steve's babyvoice the whole day? I think I would puncture my eardrums with a pair of chopsticks. If there is an aural encapsulation of a "boner killer", that must be it. No wonder Miranda turned to eating pussy.

by Anonymousreply 217January 28, 2022 2:26 PM

Is this David Eigenberg's real voice or does he only put it on for Steve?

by Anonymousreply 218January 28, 2022 2:39 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that the Che character and plot line is what ruined this season. The character is ridiculous, the podcast is atrocious, and this plot line is what make the show feel so overly “woke.” (Complete with the “woke moment” podcast button).

If Carrie were to do a podcast in 2022, it would be a WNYC style podcast, and she would be the star. If Miranda explored her sexuality, it would be with a woman and she wouldn’t be so goddamn ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 219January 28, 2022 2:41 PM

Episode 9 was dreadful. Absolutely the worst yet.

Meandering, pointless and - yet again - ridiculously maudlin..

What was the point of setting up "I'm in a rom com!" Miranda's reckoning with Che in Cleveland only to ignore it this week? Do these smug writers believe they're being clever by setting up a fake-out? I think they did and it was anything but clever or satisfying.

No one - but No ONE - not Steve, Brady, Carrie or Charlotte - has called Miranda out for her pure selfishness and recklessness. Like others here, I think this has to be the handiwork of Cynthia Nixon, insisting that this story of Miranda pursuing her truth is stunning and brave and that the character is to be supported and applauded by all. It's atrocious storytelling.

And on that same note, last week, Steve was done rallying for his marriage and this week he's vowing never to remove his wedding ring. Nice consistency, AJLT writers.

Carrie's endless pax de deus with Jon Tenney just isn't interesting. At all. We know exactly where this is going and the journey there hasn't been fun or funny.

Anthony's date was merely a set-up to hear Mario Cantone shriek one line. As others have pointed out, having a dinner party with a slow burn where it gradually becomes apparent that Anthony's date was a white supremacist would have been so much more effective, but again, we're dealing with AJLT's writers. (And by the way, what kind of dinner party was that? Just Charlotte's family and Anthony? Why on Earth would everyone be so formal?)

The infertile professor and her husband: why are they on this show? Why? Nine episodes in and they've just now had the most cursory on introductions to other characters. Plus - and this is important - there story hasn't moved a single millimeter forward. Why are we meant to be invested in them?

I really had high hopes for this show. I was a rabid fan of SATC and believed HBO would assemble a crack creative team to revive and reinvigorate the franchise. And I kept watching, hoping against hope that AJLT would improve. It hasn't. I'll watch the season finale just to have completion, but it's not a show I'll ever come back to.

SATC is long dead and AJLT is its zombie corpse.

by Anonymousreply 220January 28, 2022 2:52 PM

[quote]If Carrie were to do a podcast in 2022, it would be a WNYC style podcast, and she would be the star. If Miranda explored her sexuality, it would be with a woman and she wouldn’t be so goddamn ridiculous.

I can't improve on this observation and I am disposed to the delusion I can improve on every observation.

by Anonymousreply 221January 28, 2022 2:59 PM

So on Rotten Tomatoes, about as close to measurement as you can get, the show is 60% with the professional critics and 29% with viewers. Critics move on. Viewers are the ones showrunners should recall (and aren't.) It isn't in the top twenty of shows and it just aired an episode yesterday. The Gilded Age outstrips it in all three categories and no one's going to confuse that with a triumph of creativity in television.

Nixon is the only one doing the rounds and she's evidently not in listening mode. So if there's any hope of better, it will be down to HBO. Maybe the thing is too expensive to produce for this kind of reaction. Maybe Samantha moved to London and next year Miranda does a Mamma Mia! on Lesbos. The show doesn't need her and she's the main drag on it.

by Anonymousreply 222January 28, 2022 3:09 PM

My HBO MAX subscription ended a few weeks ago so I haven't watched past the third episode. Sounds like I haven't missed much. It's a shame the two movies and AJLT have failed to live up to the specialness of the original.

by Anonymousreply 223January 28, 2022 3:13 PM

On paper Miranda was supposed to be the relatable one. But she’s always been intensely unlikeable.

A character can be bitchy and intense but not if she’s completely lacking warmth and humor— which Miranda is.

It’s too bad because it perpetuates negative stereotypes about women professionals.

The new show just adds another layer of ridiculousness to an already annoying character.

by Anonymousreply 224January 28, 2022 3:28 PM

This is why we work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 28, 2022 3:38 PM

I feel out of synch. I didn't hate this one. The whole thing with Anthony was silly. hey everyone, Anthony doesn't like Nazis! I think we could assume that. And avoiding the obvious cheating Che storyline in Cleveland (and the confusion of whether that even was Cleveland, cause, it was pretty damn vague) was dumb.

But I like the discussion about whether Miranda and Che have to ape every hetero relationship in history is a discussion we have right here on the DL sometimes. Does every gay couple or nonbinary couple or whatever have to be exactly like some 1950s ideal straight couple? Is not doing that failing in some way?

And I loved everything about Carrie and the wedding rings. I really felt for her panic when she thought she'd lost Big's ring. I know she had to stomp all over Steve's moment with her stupid overpriced shoes, cause Carrie, but still, overall I loved the whole scene with Steve.

by Anonymousreply 226January 28, 2022 3:47 PM

I understood what Steve meant. He was not going to resist Miranda leaving the marriage, but he was going to maintain his commitment. But again, he's just passive. If he had wanted his marriage to last, he could have made some effort to keep Miranda's interest.

by Anonymousreply 227January 28, 2022 3:54 PM

I agree, R226 on the rings. Carrie had the most genuine, human being type episode of the series, for Carrie. (And only she would be stupid enough to wear those shoes to paint. What I wish is the writers would have somebody for once call her on that uniquely Carrie kind of stupid because it's not boop-boop-dee-doo cute, it's stupid). They should write Charlotte into the blunt mother of the gang - she skates around it but it's not her space. It would be good for Charlotte to be the one bringing down the hammer on a regular basis. Let a little Anthony rub off on her.

I'm not sure Che and Miranda were actually having a discussion. Che seemed to be telling Miranda how things would be and you could tell Miranda has no understanding of what it really means.

I forget who observed upthread there's been no exploration of the chaos Miranda has caused beyond a bit of St. Steve. That would be interesting but I don't suppose you can do anything to get in the way of progress.

by Anonymousreply 228January 28, 2022 4:02 PM

I don’t get it why some consider the remark from Anthony’s date a “joke”?

by Anonymousreply 229January 28, 2022 4:09 PM

An odd mix of relatable, offensive, and stupid. The holocaust joke seemed apropos of nothing. The interaction between Steve and Carrie was probably the most realistic interaction of the whole season and, of course, esp. now that she has tons of money, she'd wear inappropriate shoes. Che's somewhat didactic thing on the stairway also seemed realistic, although Miranda remains like a 12 year old and didn't really hear it. The lack of continuity begs the question of whether the story editor does anything--like remembering her previous brush with lesbianism or where the diner was. The whole menstrual instruction thing was clearly a dull set-up for the Charlotte sight gag.

The professor and her husband seem to be on another show and Charlotte's friend saving the day seemed gratuitous. Carrie's non-date of course sets her up for what we see in the previews. At least next week we can try to guess where the deleted Noth cameo would have been.

by Anonymousreply 230January 28, 2022 4:36 PM

Are we going to let anyone in on what Brady thinks of his mom's new life? Oh, we're not? OK, then!

by Anonymousreply 231January 28, 2022 4:40 PM

The whole series is sad because there are potential good plot points emerging and none of them are done correctly.

Miranda having a pretty late-in-life crisis about the state of her life is completely understandable, and also pretty true to her character overall. It would make sense for Miranda the over-analyze that she has achieved the things she wanted in her thirties, making her feel extremely uncomfortable and anxious about ' falling into a rut ' or alternatively the life she wanted to achieve not being as fulfilling as she had hoped. Considering she ran for marathon, was a partner in a law firm and seemingly very successful AND ambitious, it would make sense.

Even the current storyline for Miranda would've worked out SOMEWHAT if the point was to show Miranda in critical light, as she destroys the life she had built since her 30s, all because she feels anxious that her goals in life are mostly met and she can't enjoy the moment and instead only sees the quick downhill from the top she is standing in now, with no other mountains or even hills to climb in sight (which a lot of viewers could relate to).

by Anonymousreply 232January 28, 2022 4:47 PM

Cynthia loves the plots! They're so good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 28, 2022 4:51 PM

Seema seems like the low budget, less randy Samantha. She seems to be the only new character who really seems connected to anyone here. Miranda's professor and Che sometimes seem to be on other shows which is especially remarkable when she supposedly has a thing going with Che.

by Anonymousreply 234January 28, 2022 4:51 PM

Loved when the downstairs neighbor said if she didn’t make it as a jewelry designer she’d have to go back to modeling. Oh no! Anything but that! Poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 235January 28, 2022 5:44 PM

I think this was the episode that was supposed to have the Bug flashback. I think there was a scramble at the end to re-edit, which is why it might have felt disjointed. I do like that the humor is moving to the forefront. The latter episodes are much better.

by Anonymousreply 236January 28, 2022 5:52 PM

I enjoyed seeing the girls at Lafayette sitting at the corner table where I sat last time in NYC. I wonder if they also went to Marie’s Crisis afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 237January 28, 2022 6:06 PM

Hah. Big flashback at r236.

by Anonymousreply 238January 28, 2022 6:10 PM

R234, a huge fan of LTW... they just don't do much with her.

by Anonymousreply 239January 28, 2022 6:15 PM

The one small comfort from R233 is if Nixon knows what they're saying, the entire production team knows.

I would also point out the last clunker episode, 9, was written by three long term vets.

So basically there's nowhere to turn.

by Anonymousreply 240January 28, 2022 6:16 PM

Had to love Che's face when Miranda clueless said "I'm the gf". This will not end well for Miranda but she's just pussmatized.

by Anonymousreply 241January 28, 2022 6:55 PM

Sorry for sounding old fashioned, but what the fuck is wrong with aiming for a label of 'girlfriend' or 'boyfriend', or even 'partner'?

I can understand that this label needs to be earned, but it should still be a goal. I don't get behind this vagueness because it just leads to confusion and heartbreak, even if someone like Miranda is rushing the situation.

by Anonymousreply 242January 28, 2022 7:16 PM

[quote](And by the way, what kind of dinner party was that? Just Charlotte's family and Anthony? Why on Earth would everyone be so formal?)

R220 I've seen that on Friends and on Big Bang Theory. They decide to have parties but the only people there are everyone they see every day.

by Anonymousreply 243January 28, 2022 7:52 PM

R243 Or there are groupings of people we've never seen before and never see again. I love focusing on the background extras sometimes instead of the main action, it's like eavesdropping in a way.

by Anonymousreply 244January 28, 2022 7:54 PM

Seems a bit foolish in retrospect to have worried [italic]all[/italic] these new characters would overwhelm the show.

by Anonymousreply 245January 28, 2022 8:29 PM

Anthony a top?? I just assumed they used double dildos

by Anonymousreply 246January 28, 2022 8:39 PM

Well Stanford didn't exactly conjure up images of a jackhammer.

by Anonymousreply 247January 28, 2022 8:57 PM

[quote]Are we going to just gloss over that absolute joke LTW was wearing to paint? Those thigh high construction looking boots and jacket dress with golden hairdresser tools sticking out of the pockets? What in the actual fuck?

It looked like an outfit Edina Monsoon would wear to paint a house.

Not that Edina would ever do that, of course.

by Anonymousreply 248January 28, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote] Cynthia Nixon was on WWHL tonight and the fans asked tough questions. Andy did not. Cynthia had a smug response to every critical question. When someone asked her about turning Miranda into Cynthia, she said that Miranda's life is a mess and hers isn't.

I'm not defending Nixon because I do think she has wielded her executive producer powers wickedly to influence the storytelling for the worse—but for accuracy, the summary above is a little biased in translation.

A called asked Nixon if Miranda's life on the show has been influenced by Nixon's real life. She admitted that it has, and she said the writers have drawn from all the actors' real lives for their storylines. (She didn't mention it, but Steve's hearing problem is an obvious example.)

She finished not with "Miranda's life is a mess and mine isn't" but with "Miranda is a 55-year-old in the middle of a mid-life crisis, and I'm not having a mid-life crisis.

So, similar gist but not quite as curt and smug as the poster suggested.

by Anonymousreply 249January 28, 2022 9:07 PM

They're really trying to make Samantha Irby happen:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250January 28, 2022 9:25 PM

Why is he shouting? We get it Brandon!

You know what else is Sam Irby's impact? The universal revulsion the audience has for Che.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 28, 2022 9:26 PM

SOME gay actors know the difference between them and their characters, Cynthia

[quote]Actress and That’s So Raven star Raven-Symoné said she told Disney she wanted her character on the spin-off Raven’s Home to remain straight. Speaking to the “Pride” podcast, Symone said that Disney offered to make the spin-off character a lesbian to accommodate Raven-Symone, who is gay in real life.

[quote]“There was a conversation before the series started, and I was asked the question, ‘Would you like Raven Baxter to be a lesbian?’ And I said, no. I said no,” Symoné said. Symone said she is proud to be gay, but “The reason I said no wasn’t because I wasn’t proud of who I was, or I didn’t want to represent the LGBTQ+ community in any way,” Symoné said.. “It was because Raven Baxter is Raven Baxter is Raven Baxter. And Raven Baxter is a character that I was proud to play, even if she is straight, cisgender — I don’t mind — let her have her moment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252January 28, 2022 9:33 PM

Following Raven's comment above, it's also kind of insulting to assume a gay actor must play a gay character.

I understand how social progress and representation work, and I DO agree strongly that, for example, ScarJo should not play Japanese and Tiffani-Amber Thiessen should not play a black woman from Queens, but aside from roles in which people's faces have to be changed with prosthetics or CGI, the best actor should be cast in any role. Gay people can play straight. Straight people can play gay. A gay actor or actress can play Caitlin Jenner as long as they can get away with it.

That's a rule I hold dearly for all art: if you can get away with it, you can do it.

I'm in a writing group and a young woman asked me about whether I feel she has the right to write a gay male character. I was like, "If I say no, are all your stories and books only going to be populated with straight white women because you're a straight white woman? Cmon. The only thing you should not do is write terribly written characters." She was like...hmm! That's an interesting perspective!

by Anonymousreply 253January 28, 2022 9:53 PM

R251 I thought he HAD to be joking.

Just gonna act like Insecure wasn't a whole ass show, huh?

by Anonymousreply 254January 28, 2022 10:04 PM

Nixon’s grey wig is the worst part of the show. If they want Miranda to embrace her grey, great but do it in a flattering style and cut.

by Anonymousreply 255January 28, 2022 10:05 PM

[quote]A gay actor or actress can play Caitlin Jenner as long as they can get away with it.

The casting call for that part could empty entire villages.

by Anonymousreply 256January 28, 2022 11:19 PM

I do wonder what the writers intended.

Was it, "Miranda is going through a mid-life crisis, and she damages people all around her while she tries to figure out why she's always been so uncomfortable in her life and her skin"?

Or was it, "Let's just go crazy with Miranda. Like, anything goes. She has an affair. With a woman! No, wait, with a trans person! No, wait, trans is too easy and we have the trans girl already—a gender nonspecific person! And, like, she just takes a wrecking ball to her husband and son, and no one in the entire story will care at all about them. Has that ever been done before? Visionary!"

Or was it, "Cynthia's an exec producer now and she insists that we graft her real life onto Miranda. How are we gonna do that? She'll have to dumb Steve for a woman, I guess. What about the kid? Cynthia seems to hate her kids and regret having had them. Can we get away with making Miranda hate Brady?"

by Anonymousreply 257January 29, 2022 12:09 AM

R256 Who needs a casting call? I'm ready for my close up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258January 29, 2022 12:11 AM

R258 Not so fast, Cathy! You've got competition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 29, 2022 12:12 AM

Miranda’s hair will be updated once she goes through the crisis.

Sorta of a rebirth but with a hairstyle/color

by Anonymousreply 260January 29, 2022 12:27 AM

Radar says Glenn Close and Eddie Redmayne have already come to blows over the part.

by Anonymousreply 261January 29, 2022 1:36 AM

Just watched ep. 9 and only had a couple of eyeroll moments. DaFUQ that Fuller Brush outfit lisatoddwexley was wearing. They still need to dump CliCHÉ but I didn't hate her as much this episode. Screaming Miranda has now become a caricature of herself. And Harry's that stupid that he doesn't hear a timer?

by Anonymousreply 262January 29, 2022 1:58 AM

I wonder if the actor who plays Harry gets the script and ponders the psychological depths of his character. But why, WHY doesn't Harry take the bread out? Is he lashing out about the Holocaust comment? Is he passive-aggressively lashing out as Charlotte because her fingers are in their daughter's cooch while he's left alone with creepy Anthony? Is it a sign of early negligence? What motivates Harry's challah negligence?

by Anonymousreply 263January 29, 2022 2:15 AM

For those in this thread who actually enjoy ajlt, and post comments like 'another great episode', or 'so great to catch up with the ladies': do you also post in the Jonbenet threads with intruder theories defending John and Patsy Ramsey? I want to know if there's a correlation...

by Anonymousreply 264January 29, 2022 2:26 AM

Everything out of Anthony's mouth has to do with being gay and other men's dicks. What a ridiculous stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 265January 29, 2022 2:30 AM

Basically half of episode 9 was about a kid with her fingers up her pussy and maybe ass and her mother talking about it. WTF????? Then the icing on the cake is Charlotte's bloody pants at the crotch and ass. Between that and the Miranda BS with that fright wig to look at this show is shit. The only good part was Carrie and Steve talking. I can't believe they will renew this.

by Anonymousreply 266January 29, 2022 2:32 AM

Maybe HBO will demand some changes for season 2 because the show has become a laughingstock with audiences.

by Anonymousreply 267January 29, 2022 2:34 AM

Someone should make a post-season trailer featuring Miranda talking about the feeling of her son's cum on the sole of her foot, Carrie pissing in the bed, the fingering and Miranda's orgasmic sealbarking, the tampon, the bloody crotch, "the Holocaust never happened!" and whatever horrors will come next.

by Anonymousreply 268January 29, 2022 2:36 AM

There’s no doubt HBO will renew. Look at these threads. Eight of them for one 10-episode series. Even if you hate watch… you’re watching. That’s all HBO cares about.

by Anonymousreply 269January 29, 2022 2:40 AM

Difference is: I re-watch SATC on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 270January 29, 2022 2:45 AM

It will be renewed but they need to ditch a few of the new characters (I’m looking at you Cheryl).

by Anonymousreply 271January 29, 2022 2:50 AM

It's not even the new characters. It's that the show is terribly underwritten, with no pacing, and no wit or humor, in comparison to the original. Every episode feels like it's hour long, something that deserves 5 minutes drags forever, and with so many new characters, they need to give them something to say or do but with no clue as to how to turn it into something interesting or a good story arc.

by Anonymousreply 272January 29, 2022 3:12 AM

I'm tired of the relentless grossness -discussions of urine, menstrual blood, semen.

by Anonymousreply 273January 29, 2022 3:20 AM

The only new character that's remotely interesting is the downstairs neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 274January 29, 2022 3:20 AM

It's also not doing what the original did by while, yes, having some overarching plots (usually due to longer term relationships that were happening), but mainly having a particular topic that was explored in each episode. I guess 'cause Carrie doesn't write her column anymore, but I mean, if they wanted to modernise it, why not have had Carrie decide to run her own podcast each week on a different topic. She could've had Che on as a guest if they wanted to include that character somehow, and still have the teachable moments they want to.

I don't get the point of having Brady in the show at all when he has had nothing to do, pretty much. His grand total of minutes on screen probably doesn't exceed 3.

by Anonymousreply 275January 29, 2022 3:21 AM

When 15 minutes of your episode are about a young girl trying to figure out how to use a tampon, you're desperately out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 276January 29, 2022 3:23 AM

Curious how a writer from NYC has no idea by 2022 that a podcast is just a long, uncensored radio show.

And curious how a character known for making sassy bon mots and silly sexual puns at the restaurant with her friends for 15 years is awkward and uncapable of conversing with two dimbulbs in a studio.

Do the SATC writers not know that literally anyone with a PC and a microphone can record their own podcast? And Carrie may not have been a genius, but she was good at witty repartée. What happened to that?

by Anonymousreply 277January 29, 2022 3:27 AM

I only started watching the series today and have really been surprised and delighted. I binge-watched the 1st 4 episodes.

But I am amazed at how realistically (and unflatteringly) SJ P is allowing herself to be photographed. She doesn't look like she's had any work done to her face (or hands - is that even possible?) and seems proud of it. Well, BRAVA to her! Has this been mentioned a lot? I'm only now catching up on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 278January 29, 2022 3:31 AM

R278 No, no one here is allowed to say anything positive about it. Doing so will get you zapped by the zapper.

by Anonymousreply 279January 29, 2022 3:33 AM

"Are we going to just gloss over that absolute joke LTW was wearing to paint? Those thigh high construction looking boots and jacket dress with golden hairdresser tools sticking out of the pockets? What in the actual fuck?"

She didn't paint.

by Anonymousreply 280January 29, 2022 3:35 AM

Ok, here's a few positive things -

The conversation between Carrie and Steve

Che's response to Miranda's outburst at the funeral

Carrie's conversation with Natasha

Steve's response to Miranda when she told him they were finished

Carrie's upset at losing Big's ring and Steve retrieving it for her

Carrie's date with the teacher, who seemed very decent

Seema's looks, hair and clothes, which are elegant, glamorous and appropriate

Seema's Indian parents

LTW's beautiful face

Lily's ability on the piano

Big's death and Carrie's reaction, which was unforgettable. (I was in tears.)

by Anonymousreply 281January 29, 2022 3:53 AM

"There’s no doubt HBO will renew. Look at these threads. Eight of them for one 10-episode series. Even if you hate watch… you’re watching. That’s all HBO cares about. "

I agree. I guess hate watching is real, but I wouldn't even call it hate watching. You don't engage with things you hate. People LOVE to critique and criticize and give their ideas for how they'd write a show - especially when they have an audience. It's just normal now for people to discuss shows online as they watch, get feedback, glow when praised or bristle and argue when disagreed with.

Eight threads in, people writing entire New Yorker articles or the script for a Ted Talk in their posts about a single character, a single episode, glossing over the smallest of details, and on and on. Then mentioning in some form, "I hate this show." Yeah, you don't. If there's a season two they'll be back doing the exact same thing.

by Anonymousreply 282January 29, 2022 3:54 AM

Natasha is the character from the original series who I think came across the best in this new series, and most in line with her old character.

[quote]When 15 minutes of your episode are about a young girl trying to figure out how to use a tampon, you're desperately out of ideas.

This is probably very true, but on a personal level as a guy I found it kinda interesting just because I don't KNOW a lot of this stuff and had never really thought about it before. Like having to insert it to the back not upwards, and that it's not felt once in. But I do see what you're saying too - I could just ask my friends about that, rather than have a lesson in a television show, I guess. I did find Charlotte and Lily as actresses played off each other well and it was amusing to me, though one of my friends thought the way Charlotte spoke to Lily was pretty bad parenting.

by Anonymousreply 283January 29, 2022 4:20 AM

I bet SJP and CN’s friendship doesn’t survive this debacle. SJP is unhealthily attached to the validation she gets from playing Carrie, and Miranda’s lesbo storyline has eaten the show.

by Anonymousreply 284January 29, 2022 4:55 AM

[quote]Miranda’s lesbo storyline has eaten the show.

R284, might you say it’s had the pink sucked off of it?

by Anonymousreply 285January 29, 2022 5:02 AM

The writers really have their heads up their ass. Even hiding the podcast now. Feel free to add comments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 29, 2022 5:06 AM

Jon Tenney used to be hot, but his hair curled under in the front he looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 287January 29, 2022 5:10 AM

r262 CliCHÉ ... that made me laugh

by Anonymousreply 288January 29, 2022 5:15 AM

Will Aiden make an appearance in the finale?

by Anonymousreply 289January 29, 2022 5:19 AM

What's wrong with Cynthia's real hair? Why that terrible gray wig?

by Anonymousreply 290January 29, 2022 5:20 AM

Apart from her bizarre looks, the podcasts, her awful 'comedy,' and when she told Miranda she wasn't a homewrecker, I thought Che was quite reasonable and appealing. She's low drama.

by Anonymousreply 291January 29, 2022 5:48 AM

New to the series.

Who is LTW?

by Anonymousreply 292January 29, 2022 12:44 PM

Any chance that any Cleveland scene was edited out? If Miranda was to find Cheryl in bed with someone else the audience would detest Cheryl more than they already do.

by Anonymousreply 293January 29, 2022 12:46 PM

"It's so hard to be white" (Seema's comment to Carrie) as bad the holocaust "joke". This episode's "moment of shit".

by Anonymousreply 294January 29, 2022 12:53 PM

What's worse is that the MPK jokes about it.

by Anonymousreply 295January 29, 2022 12:55 PM

It's no secret where the finale goes - is it? In any event I won't spoil it but I think it's widely known. Only to say, if Aiden pops up there, the international vomit could affect sea levels.

by Anonymousreply 296January 29, 2022 12:55 PM

Further to R296, I was looking around youtube and I couldn't find a preview for next week for AJLT. I'm sure it's out there but it surprised me how difficult it was to find (I didn't.) The HBO and. HBO Max youtube pages weren't prominently displaying it. It's not in the top twenty discussed shows on Rottentomatoes. It never scored above a 7 on IMDB.

So to the point HBO will follow the any publicity is good publicity line. The Jewish joke bombed and got them a ton of bad chatter and little negative publicity. The bodily function humour/storylines aren't well received. (I know, can you imagine?) If you pump Cynthia Nixon's name into Google news the number of times the headline includes the word "defends" is telling.

I posted this link before, about another prestige show HBO cancelled: "In the end, it drew meager ratings because you've seen the same plot 1,000 times already. But ratings have never been a huge concern for HBO. The real problem with Vinyl was that it made HBO look bad. They blew their money, their own reputation—and the reputation of some of the finest living artists!—on a show that combined all the worst parts of Mad Men and Almost Famous and somehow made that idea worse than it actually sounds."

If this isn't a bomb, it isn't a success, either, on any level. (The Gilded Age is a critical success, the missed a few major outlets like NYT but that can be rationalized. Overall, the majority of the critics gave the show thumbs up. That's what you want to hear.) People in HBO will be scrambling to cover their asses. The key will be the clues in the post season coverage. If there's any even subtle comments about reflection or what works and what could be done differently, there's an overhaul coming.

I agree with the poster upthread: SJP is so wound up in this thing... she'll want to save it, whatever it takes. I bet she saw years ahead of AJLT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297January 29, 2022 1:16 PM

I've never had the blood pressure to listen to the writers' podcast. All that self congratulatory bullshit from within the bubble...

by Anonymousreply 298January 29, 2022 1:17 PM

Che’s grandma Lea Delaria claims that people don’t like Che because she’s non-binary. No, Lea, you idiot. We don’t like characters who are not well-written.

by Anonymousreply 299January 29, 2022 1:22 PM

[quote] Apart from her bizarre looks, the podcasts, her awful 'comedy,' and when she told Miranda she wasn't a homewrecker, I thought Che was quite reasonable and appealing. She's low drama.

No. She is not low drama. THEY is low drama.

If you want to see Cheryl get dramatic, misgender them. They'll cut a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 300January 29, 2022 1:24 PM

[quote]And by the way, what kind of dinner party was that? Just Charlotte's family and Anthony? Why on Earth would everyone be so formal?)

Given the Challah in the oven, I take it that it’s “Friday Night Dinner”, the first Shabbas meal of the week and Charlotte can justifiably dress up the family each week to live out her Donna Reed (Deborah Reichl?) fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 301January 29, 2022 1:27 PM

They, R300? Are there more than one? Che is a hefty gal but there is only one of her.

by Anonymousreply 302January 29, 2022 1:29 PM

I couldn't find the preview either

and r298

I have listened to the podcast and in the last one, one of the writers kept going on about how people get telling her that they love Che... yeah sure...

by Anonymousreply 303January 29, 2022 1:30 PM

Setting aside Holocaust references usually being inherently a bad idea and often offensive, it was done poorly for multiple reasons.

It didn't seem to serve any greater purpose except to kill Anthony's burgeoning relationship and blow him up for a one-and-done laugh.

It was obvious where it was going immediately when Anthony's date asked "Is this a Jewish dinner?"

I'm not sure if "a Jewish dinner" is a thing at all aside from holiday observances, but it doesn't feel right. And instead of anyone seeming puzzled, Harry just answered "yes."

If I knew intuitively that that was a fucked up question that was going to lead to worse, then I'm sure Harry and Anthony would have, too. So the 'surprise' of the Holocaust denial felt utterly false and that robbed it of any shock value it could have had, despite Anthony's "get out!"

But again, the really big question is where are these writers coming from? I can't imagine a writers' room in which someone proposes an entirely out-of-context Holocaust denial as a comic beat and the other writers saying "OMG THAT'S HILARIOUS!" It's so bizarre I can't really make sense of it in my brain. I hear 'Holocaust' and I visualize thousands of emaciated bodies of old people and kids with bullet holes in their heads piled up in a ditch like sandbags. Fuckin' hilarious, Mr. King.

by Anonymousreply 304January 29, 2022 1:37 PM

[quote] "It's so hard to be white" (Seema's comment to Carrie) as bad the holocaust "joke". This episode's "moment of shit".

Oh STFU you snowflake. Mentioning whiteness in a conversation literally about a wealthy white woman who married into hundreds of millions writing cheques for charity like the lady of the manor and the Indian woman of comparable means joking that she can get away with writing a cheque and not doing manual labour because she’s a WOC is the literal point about white liberal guilt which in this case Carrie doesn’t really have but Miranda does.

by Anonymousreply 305January 29, 2022 1:39 PM

[quote] "It's so hard to be white" (Seema's comment to Carrie) as bad the holocaust "joke". This episode's "moment of shit".

I consider that one an example of good writing, and it's surprising in this show that has forced wokeness down viewers' throats. Seema was taking advantage of her 'nonwhite privilege' by not feeling pressure to be charitable and recognizing that right now moral expectations are higher for wealthy white people than they are for brown people, even very rich ones. She did it with a knowing wink and a nod, selfishly taking advantage lf her advantage and delighting in it.

That's the kind of flawed characterization that makes characters feel more human and believable. She embraced her brattiness and she took advantage of a loophole that works in her favor. I thought it was funny and very refreshingly irreverent in a show that's exhaustively ardent.

by Anonymousreply 306January 29, 2022 1:45 PM

^ exactly r306. I liked it too. If there was this kind of writing earlier in the season, the themes of a new, woke NYC and the place of aging ironic Gen X women in it would be better integrated. Seema chortling at Carrie with her paintbrush and overalls and opting to spend the day drinking coffee and smoking rang true.

And even in OG SATC the women would all volunteer for different reasons. Miranda because she’s a guilty white liberal. Charlotte because she earnestly believes it’s a good deed and a teachable moment for her children in giving back. Samantha because it’s a great way to network with connected women in the area and because she heard about the hot club owner next door. And Carrie because she’s dragged into it by her friends.

by Anonymousreply 307January 29, 2022 2:01 PM

I didn't recognize the club owner until the final scene. When he was mentioned upthread I was thinking it was the security guard Anthony mentioned when they first went to Prada.

by Anonymousreply 308January 29, 2022 2:04 PM

I don't think Carrie married into 'hundreds of millions.' Maybe tens of millions..

by Anonymousreply 309January 29, 2022 2:09 PM

He was the new Donald Trump and left a cool mill to Natasha like it was nothing.

by Anonymousreply 310January 29, 2022 2:12 PM

Ooh, if the series would explicitly liken Carrie to Melania and dig into that angle, it could get interesting. Materialistic, vain, shallow, willfully ignorant and politically agonostic while agonizing over her eager pursuit of the next perfect pair of shoes and luxury penthouse and the next mogul to latch onto. It fits.

by Anonymousreply 311January 29, 2022 2:15 PM

[quote]I couldn't find the preview either

It's after the credits it you're watching on HBO Max

by Anonymousreply 312January 29, 2022 2:46 PM

I’ll admit it. I’m enjoying the latter episodes. Starting from around episode 5, I’m only fast forwarding through the Che/Miranda scenes, and it’s not because I don’t like Che, it’s because Miranda is acting like not-Miranda. I get someone who is having a mid-life crisis, but it’s unreal to me because we never saw it on screen.

Funny enough two women I know—both fans of the origins series—just started watching the series, and they like it.

by Anonymousreply 313January 29, 2022 2:59 PM

r312

I just watched the credits for the last ep... no preview for this one though

by Anonymousreply 314January 29, 2022 3:01 PM

The only bizarre thing about the finale preview is it ends with Carrie turning around and just staring into space for what seems like forever. read into that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 315January 29, 2022 3:22 PM

Does she ask what year it is?

by Anonymousreply 316January 29, 2022 3:22 PM

The thing is... this isn't an original program. It's a reboot. Successful reboots are essentially resuming sales of an established product to an existing consumer base. This doesn't do it. If MPK and his gang wanted write something original with all the stuff apparently most of their audience doesn't want to see, they should have written an original show.

by Anonymousreply 317January 29, 2022 3:25 PM

It feels like it's a cast for an hour long show. Everybody gets a few lines if they're not Cheranda.

by Anonymousreply 318January 29, 2022 3:27 PM

Carrie takes an errant airborne stilletto to the heart in the last episode, and just as time slowed down when she found Big dying, we learn that the entire preceding season was a surreal hallucinatory vision that happened at the instant of Carrie's death.

The shoe was flung by shoe salesman Andy Cohen. Anthony screams at Andy for killing his best girlfriend and then he and Andy tear one another's clothes off and make out as they launch into their own spinoff, the most annoying romcom ever made.

by Anonymousreply 319January 29, 2022 3:28 PM

The perfect ending for me would be for Carrie to wake up next to Big and say, "You wouldn't believe the dream I just had!"

by Anonymousreply 320January 29, 2022 3:37 PM

And Big to say, "In had the same dream and you just sat there and let me die. I'm going back to Natasha."

by Anonymousreply 321January 29, 2022 3:39 PM

Writer 1: How would we describe Carrie's personality?

Writer 2: Shoes.

Writer 1: Shoes isn't a personality.

Writer 3: Right. Still, it's just shoes.

by Anonymousreply 322January 29, 2022 3:47 PM

Funny how the narrative has shifted from will Cattrall come back to will the show come back?

by Anonymousreply 323January 29, 2022 3:59 PM

Exactly r317. You go with what the audience knows, you don't try to change the whole narrative and radically alter established storylines and characters. This is also why the Skywalker Trilogy was underwhelming and pissed off so many fans - it wasn't really Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 324January 29, 2022 4:03 PM

I just listened to part of the podcast (embedded in a story about Harry's penis size) and King and the two women writers sounds like a trio of cackling old people.

by Anonymousreply 325January 29, 2022 4:05 PM

[quote] it’s because Miranda is acting like not-Miranda.

AJLT Miranda is SATC Miranda taken to her logical conclusion of although she’s the smartest person and the most hardworking person in the room, she’s not the happiest because unlike the other 3 she really doesn’t like herself.

She often got became hysterical and acted rashly and foolishly: hitting her date’s kid in a panic because her saw her naked on the toilet, becoming so smug the one time a handsome cop was into her and turning him off due to her vanity. The dropping in unannounced on Che with cookies then running off screaming is totally in character.

by Anonymousreply 326January 29, 2022 4:20 PM

"becoming so smug the one time a handsome cop was into her and turning him off due to her vanity."

That was the guy from the gym, who, IMO, just came across as an insecure baby when she had a moment and said she loved her job and her life. Yeah, she was feeling herself and slightly obnoxious, but it was one short convo.

The cop was the reverse -- she was super insecure being with him because he was so hot, so she got hammered and he thought he was an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 327January 29, 2022 4:32 PM

and just like that... here's the promo

and I finally realized that Seema's man is Carrie's friend Tony who worked for Prada. Maybe he went into the nightclub business

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 29, 2022 4:55 PM

It's strange the work SJP appears to have had done is just lips. Or did she have that and a conventional facelift that is waaaaaaaay too tight? She looks so taut but the promo those lips are going 3D.

by Anonymousreply 329January 29, 2022 5:01 PM

It's weird though her lips don't always look huge throughout the promo. I actually don't want to wail on her as much as many here but damn she looks... like she's trying for something and it isn't working but I can't figure out what to look at her.

by Anonymousreply 330January 29, 2022 5:04 PM

R304, I also wondered how this scene originated…I can’t imagine any experienced writer to sign off on this either. But Evan Handler participated in it. Do actors ever protest against really lame lines and scenes?

by Anonymousreply 331January 29, 2022 5:05 PM

R303 Do the writers on the podcast even acknowledge the proliferation of Che hate memes?

Also, weird that the downstairs neighbor tells Carrie she’s a fan of her podcast but doesn’t know Carrie’s husband died.

by Anonymousreply 332January 29, 2022 5:06 PM

She thinks all that eyeliner makes her look young but it just helps highlight all the stuff that makes her look old.

The downstairs neighbor seems like a privileged airhead. people like that usually miss the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 333January 29, 2022 5:07 PM

The downstairs neighbor has a wrinkled face for a twenty something.

by Anonymousreply 334January 29, 2022 5:22 PM

r332

of course not, they all talk about how amazing Che is as well

by Anonymousreply 335January 29, 2022 5:35 PM

Agree r306 and I have to say that when Sarita Choudhury is on screen I am reminded of exotic Hollywood actresses like Yvonne De Carlo. I hope they don't fuck up her character, so far, I really like her.

by Anonymousreply 336January 29, 2022 5:46 PM

I'm glad to see Sarita get a glamorous role. I only know her as the neglected wife of Saul on Homeland.

by Anonymousreply 337January 29, 2022 5:47 PM

DeCarlo always had the cheap look of Universal B-actress--not a flattering comaprison.

by Anonymousreply 338January 29, 2022 5:49 PM

We'll just have to disagree on that 338.

by Anonymousreply 339January 29, 2022 5:59 PM

so there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340January 29, 2022 6:01 PM

If CN is correct that they borrowed from the casts’ lives, we know that Matthew Broderick hasn’t died so the part they took from SJP’s life is… the lack of maturity and substance?

by Anonymousreply 341January 29, 2022 6:10 PM

That is one underwhelming season finale promo. I think it indicates there's little of substance actually happening in the episode.

No wonder it didn't air Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 342January 29, 2022 6:30 PM

Rock’s “They-mitzvah” looks like it will be fun for none

by Anonymousreply 343January 29, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote] Do the writers on the podcast even acknowledge the proliferation of Che hate memes?

I haven't listened to it, but I would guess the podcast was recorded before the show aired. HBO often has short commentary from writers that air immediately after episodes (Game of Thrones and Succession, anyway), and they appear to have been all recorded in one sitting, which means they are not newly recorded every week while the show has aired.

And the writing process exists outside of critical commentary because the criticisms come in response to the writing, and therefore afterwards.

If there's a second season, then I'd think the writers probably would talk around the elephants in the room, like, "Last season, Miranda had a personal reckoning. We saw her make impulsive decisions and hurt the people around her like Steve and her son. This year, as she finds better emotional stability, she has to finally confront the damage she has done to her relationships and figure out how to be a better person while being herself."

That way, they could make it sound as if it was intentional that Miranda/the viewer didn't see any of the wreckage in her life. It was kept off camera because Miranda was blindly following her heart and we were following her, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

That's the kind of excuse I would make, anyway. TV writers make their livings writing successfully for TV and so they certainly are not going to admit on TV that they wrote an abysmal season.

by Anonymousreply 344January 29, 2022 7:13 PM

I mean, this is the team that responded to the criticism from the bad first movie by making an even WORSE movie

by Anonymousreply 345January 29, 2022 8:17 PM

SATC and AbFab demonstrate that some concepts really are made for television alone.

by Anonymousreply 346January 29, 2022 8:21 PM

[quote] That was the guy from the gym, who, IMO, just came across as an insecure baby when she had a moment and said she loved her job and her life. Yeah, she was feeling herself and slightly obnoxious, but it was one short convo.

[quote]The cop was the reverse -- she was super insecure being with him because he was so hot, so she got hammered and he thought she was an alcoholic.

Agree to all of this, plus the cop was a dick because he thought she was an alcoholic, still slept with her anyway, and then disappeared the next morning before she woke up, yet it was portrayed as solely a moment of Miranda doing the wrong thing.

by Anonymousreply 347January 29, 2022 9:29 PM

[quote]I mean, this is the team that responded to the criticism from the bad first movie by making an even WORSE movie

I wonder who owns the creative rights. Maybe that team is immoveable. Though why anyone would then want to gamble on them.... here, take my money and do more crap.

by Anonymousreply 348January 29, 2022 9:35 PM

I imagine the movies were created solely to bank on the success of the series, and that a committee of executives and marketers probably insisted on distilling the movie to what it thought fans loved about the series: the Carrie/Big romance, horny, punny Samantha, gaudy designer clothes and shoes, and they probably workshopped and focus tested ad nauseam to check off all the boxes they expected would get viewers to shell out for a movie ticket: bigger budget, exotic locale, Carrie finally lands big, a glimpse of a penis. (Notice that character development and compelling story are not considerations in this scenario, just romance and 'fabulousness,' which make for a shitty movie on their own.)

by Anonymousreply 349January 29, 2022 9:49 PM

However, I must say I loved seeing the downstairs neighbor's boyfriend's penis.

Why is nobody talking about that?

by Anonymousreply 350January 30, 2022 2:16 AM

A minor detail perhaps but did anyone else notice that in the painting scenes there was blue tape on the wall surfaces protecting all the wood paneling yet they were painting the walls?

by Anonymousreply 351January 30, 2022 2:18 AM

Non-binary Che told Miranda that she wasn’t a guy. Guess she was feeling like a girl that day. Mir acts like a 5-year-old around her/him/they. And we are all wondering why.

by Anonymousreply 352January 30, 2022 3:20 AM

Miranda is acting like 'Dat's Da Suck Job' around Che.

by Anonymousreply 353January 30, 2022 5:32 AM

Are we really to believe that Charlotte still has periods? What a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 354January 30, 2022 10:20 AM

SJP needs to get herself to Sherrell Aston before he retires and get a facelift and upper and lower eye job.

He's done Debbie Harry's numerous facelifts, which have her still looking terrific (facially, at least) for.a woman of 76.

SJP's eyes are barely open at this point, and her bags are packed. It's distracting to see her that way.

by Anonymousreply 355January 30, 2022 10:31 AM

Che Diaz is the representation no one asked for

by Anonymousreply 356January 30, 2022 11:16 AM

So no one thinks it's nice for a change to see actresses in their 50s looking like real women in their 50s? SJP, Nixon and Sarita are all showing some wrinkles and sagging and I think it's beautiful and honest. I would imagine the lighting and film lenses and makeup could hide or flatter them more than they do but they seem to be rejecting that kind of thing. It's refreshing. English actresses have been doing this for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 357January 30, 2022 1:39 PM

I think it's really sad that it's regarded as courageous not to mutilate your face and body to look 'normal.' How dystopian can you get? Yet the only movie I can think of that acknowledges this is 'Brazil.'

Yes, I am glad to see that most of the women in the show look like they are in their fifties because they are. While I like the Charlotte character better than ever and I think Davis is charming and funny, her mutilated mouth is really distracting and a little disturbing. She certainly stands out among a normally aging cast as the one who is hard to look at. As with all such surgery victims, she doesn't look her age, but that's because she looks strange, not young. It's a shame people are so afraid of time, and it's sad and bizarre that people really believe they can outsmart time and biological processes with knives and needles.

Yet it'll continue to be the norm. Morning shows, talk shows, magazines, tabloids and all their online counterparts endlessly praise 'ageless' celebrities. DataLounge does the same. Ryan Phillippe was one of these and I kept drawing attention to his strangely modified eyes and plumped up face for a few years. Then he was in People's 'sexiest' this year and he was fawned over for being 'ageless.' I came across a couple of outtakes of the People photoshoot that showed him in less flattering lighting, which showed evidence of both age and surgical scars, and the fawning came to an immediate halt. Our culture is really strange. People just insist on believing that some people are supernaturally ageless and absolutely worship them for it. It's not real. Not only is it not natural, but it always looks bizarre in person, unsettling, and more like mutilation than youth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358January 30, 2022 1:59 PM

Fuck r358!

by Anonymousreply 359January 30, 2022 2:02 PM

R357, you're not wrong. I'd rather look at SJP and poor Kristin Davis, for obvious reasons. But....

SJP has tiny, beady eyes. OK. What strikes me is how poorly she is put together. There is a whole team that could be maximizing what she's got to work with, without having to resort to the knife or the potions. Her hairstyles don't support her, her make up doesn't support her... she could look better without being worked on and it isn't happening much on that show. Which is inconsistent with Carrie Bradshaw, grieving widow or not. This show isn't well written or real life enough to carry off a clothes horse who looks like Mother Theresa's pretty youngest.

by Anonymousreply 360January 30, 2022 2:14 PM

r358, that photo is disturbingly enlightening. Wow!

by Anonymousreply 361January 30, 2022 2:18 PM

R361 You can see the surgical scar under his eye in this one.

He's still a very attractive guy IMO, but he would have been more so without the mutilations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362January 30, 2022 2:25 PM

R358 is exactly why straight women don't belong on this site.

by Anonymousreply 363January 30, 2022 2:33 PM

R363 I'm a gay man, you gumball.

by Anonymousreply 364January 30, 2022 2:51 PM

And r360, I basically agree with you, SJP could look a bit prettier even with just better makeup and hairstyling. But as exec producer, she's clearly presenting herself exactly as she desires.

by Anonymousreply 365January 30, 2022 2:56 PM

Ryan Phillippe is still hot AF. He's always had that line under his eye, it's not a surgical scar. Of course he's had work done, but that's not from surgery.

I love all of you Aunt Nancys bitching about plastic surgery like it's evil. Everybody in LA has work done. EVERYBODY. The receptionist at your dentist's office has had an eye job and a chin implant FFS.

by Anonymousreply 366January 30, 2022 3:21 PM

So we're supposed to celebrate the vapidity R366? That's one of the reasons so many mock LA and that culture. It's fake and shallow.

by Anonymousreply 367January 30, 2022 3:27 PM

It's... an unexpected turn of events when Cynthia Nixon is the pretty one.

by Anonymousreply 368January 30, 2022 3:31 PM

r367 if you have bags under your eyes and your neck is starting to sag, there's nothing wrong with getting it fixed. I had a lower blepharaplasty and a chin lift and the results were fantastic. I was tired of the eye bags and sagging neck, it did wonders for my appearance.

Of course I think people like the Kardashians look like freaks, and then there's Madonna. There is such a thing as too much. But a little fine-tuning is wonderful for a person's looks and it's a psychological boost too.

by Anonymousreply 369January 30, 2022 3:34 PM

You really think SJP hasn't had work done? Really? Does anyone remember what a woman in her mid-fifties looked like way back when? They looked OLD!

by Anonymousreply 370January 30, 2022 4:00 PM

What mid-fifties used to look like.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371January 30, 2022 4:16 PM

What mid-fifties used to look like....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372January 30, 2022 4:19 PM

That's probably close, R71, but when your idea of moisturizing is a forty of vodka, you're not a great example of self-care in any decade.

by Anonymousreply 373January 30, 2022 4:19 PM

Sorry, meant R371.

by Anonymousreply 374January 30, 2022 4:20 PM

r371, post a b&w close up candid photo of SJP with her hand up to her face and I honestly don't think you'll see that much difference (except for the eyebrows, of course). Bette's another story - she looked haggardly 20 years older than her age by 35.

by Anonymousreply 375January 30, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote]Bette's another story - she looked haggardly 20 years older than her age by 35.

The booze and cigs really took their toll on her face.

by Anonymousreply 376January 30, 2022 4:46 PM

Btw, anyone else on this thread notice that the Episode 10 preview actually ends with the much-discussed "moment of shit"?

by Anonymousreply 377January 30, 2022 4:55 PM

I hope Nixon got hazard pay for having to touch CliCHÉ.

by Anonymousreply 378January 30, 2022 5:00 PM

My favorite character is Seema, and that was from her first appearance onto the show. Her character has only gotten more interesting, IMO. I'd love to see a spinoff featuring her about her life and escapades in NYC as a "woman of a certain age." She has a comfortable, seemingly effortless chic and a relaxed, playful demeanor that is quite attractive, especially on older women.

by Anonymousreply 379January 30, 2022 5:02 PM

Seema is the only thing this reboot did right. She's great.

by Anonymousreply 380January 30, 2022 5:04 PM

They need to rename that house that got repainted The House that Resolves All Plot Points.

by Anonymousreply 381January 30, 2022 5:06 PM

Well, except for those white overalls, r381.

by Anonymousreply 382January 30, 2022 8:37 PM

OK, here's a dumb male question:

Nya said that no one used tampons in her household when she was growing up. None of the ladies seemed aghast. So....what did they use?

by Anonymousreply 383January 30, 2022 8:39 PM

Palm leaves, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 384January 30, 2022 8:50 PM

Che Diaz came over to their house and licked all their pussies.

by Anonymousreply 385January 30, 2022 8:51 PM

R383 in my house the girls started on pads before graduating to tampons.

These days there are also cups and period pants.

by Anonymousreply 386January 30, 2022 8:53 PM

Was Kotex pads? I remember finding a Kotex box in my mother's closet and wondering what it was. Something told me not to ask.

by Anonymousreply 387January 30, 2022 9:09 PM

I remember seeing what I now recognize as a tampon - fully bloodied - in the toilet once after I used the bathroom after my mom. I thought my mom was dying.

by Anonymousreply 388January 30, 2022 9:14 PM

I knew I recognized her, but I didn't realize Sarita Choudhury was Saul's wife on Homeland. Of course she was. She's one of those actors who is just totally magnetic and yet only seems to show up in small roles. Why is that?

Another is Hiam Abbass, who plays Marcia Roy in Succession.

Both of these actresses convey such interesting 'back stories' when they act that aren't in the writing.

by Anonymousreply 389January 30, 2022 9:51 PM

I wish Seema wasn’t a cigarette smoker.

by Anonymousreply 390January 30, 2022 9:58 PM

It looks like KC was right, giving her role to some other actor and changing things up a bit gives the show a shot at continuing in a more interesting way. Now we just need the writers to figure out how to make the most of what they've got.

by Anonymousreply 391January 30, 2022 10:11 PM

Miranda can move to LA with Shady Ass, (or she can die, I don't care.) Charlotte brings LTW into the group, Carrie brings in Seema, and they continue forward as a foursome. The professor gets spun off into her own series, since for the most part her story is separate from the group anyway.

by Anonymousreply 392January 30, 2022 10:19 PM

or we can just completely forget about the professor since neither the character nor the actress are interesting enough to spend time with.

by Anonymousreply 393January 30, 2022 10:28 PM

R347 the hot Cop didn't sleep with Miranda, he got her home safely and left the contact details of her nearest AA.

by Anonymousreply 394January 30, 2022 10:48 PM

While I echo the general sentiment that I enkoy Seema's character, do we really like Seema? Or do we just like Seema because she is NOT Che Diaz?

by Anonymousreply 395January 30, 2022 10:51 PM

I don't really get the Seema love, R395.

We honestly don't know that much about the character at all (though it looks like she gets some action in the season finale). She seems like a watered-down version of Samantha, or a cast member from some Bravo real estate show.

True, she's not as egregious as Che, nor as pointless as the professor, but she does not have a clearly defined point of view - which is actually missing in all the characters here, with the exception of Charlotte. Original recipe SATC had four distinct comic voices and this one sorely lacks that.

by Anonymousreply 396January 30, 2022 10:58 PM

Maybe the professor can become the Tik Tok tsr's lawyer and run away to Tokyo or Tallahassee or Tofofino or wherever the hell it is.

It worked before!

by Anonymousreply 397January 30, 2022 11:04 PM

I like Seema. The actress command attention. Fair point the character is underdeveloped. Same with LTW. She's actually worse off. The cast is too big, the run time too short for that many and Che is eating them all.

by Anonymousreply 398January 30, 2022 11:06 PM

I do like the character. Or probably more correctly, I like the depiction of her, the way she is played. Yes, she comes across a bit like a chaste Samantha, but I feel like there's something knowing and complicated in the actress's portrayal and it intrigues me. I feel the same way about Nya. Both actresses have some sort of mysterious heft. And the actress who plays Lisa gushes warmth and sincerity, so what seems to be written as a pretty shallow character feels authentic and really like a different kind ot character than I've seen on TV—rich, beautiful, warm, gracious, sweet but not at all stupid. She's as competent as Charlotte is daffy, but she does seem like a good pairing with Charlotte if they'd just drop all the race shit.

by Anonymousreply 399January 30, 2022 11:06 PM

Seema might be good or might be bad. We don't really know yet.

by Anonymousreply 400January 30, 2022 11:07 PM

If Seema revealed she is a witch, I would totally buy it.

by Anonymousreply 401January 30, 2022 11:09 PM

Seems already screwed Carrie over by talking her into that awful apartment. How much money did she lose with this? I could not develop a friendship with a real estate agent after that.

by Anonymousreply 402January 30, 2022 11:20 PM

^Seema

by Anonymousreply 403January 30, 2022 11:20 PM

Yes there's some bad writing, but I think the "cramming" problem comes from the fact that they don't know how long this is gonna last but DID know it could possibly be only one season. So they freak out trying to "right the wrongs" of SATC (not necessary IMO, but whatever) AND establish the characters we know in a new context, not knowing how long they have to do it. Aware this could be the last offering for the SATC brand, they try to make a statement and cram much too much stuff into 10 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 404January 30, 2022 11:21 PM

Can we really count on "character development" when it comes to satc/ajlt writers?

We spent 6 season and 2 movies getting to know Miranda as a sarcastic no bullshit corporate lawyer happily married to Steve, then she shows up in a grey wig and 2 grey front teeth getting finger Ed by Che Diaz?!?!

by Anonymousreply 405January 30, 2022 11:46 PM

Face it. Miranda has brain cancer.

My dad's brother was always a little eccentric, but at one point he started mentoring a young drug addict in his 20s. Prior to that, he had been a lifelong teetotaler who ran a drug rehab center. He divorced his wife and the drug addict moved in and they installed a stripper pole in the living room. That really happened. He was about 60. He started randomly falling down and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with glioblastoma. He was fully demented within weeks and he died about two months later.

Miranda's behavioral changes remind me of my uncle who died from glioblastoma.

by Anonymousreply 406January 30, 2022 11:52 PM

You are right R406. Anything less than glioblastoma or murder-suicide in the last episode would be deeply unsatisfactory.

by Anonymousreply 407January 31, 2022 12:00 AM

What does Steve do for a living? Has that ever been established? And did NO ONE think that Eigenberg's character voice needed to be toned down just a little for a man in his 50s??

by Anonymousreply 408January 31, 2022 12:01 AM

[quote]So they freak out trying to "right the wrongs" of SATC (not necessary IMO, but whatever)

Exactly! IT WASN'T THAT BAD! WE WERE ALL CLUELESS THEN! FORGIVE YOURSELVES FIRST!

by Anonymousreply 409January 31, 2022 12:02 AM

r408

did you watch SATC? Steve still does what he did then

by Anonymousreply 410January 31, 2022 12:05 AM

So fair bet the third movie was the death of Big (and probably saved by Aiden for a happy ending.) The pervs got Samantha sexting. Dunno what else, but in there'd been a third movie, Che Diaz never would have happened.

So thanks, Kim Cattrall. Thanks a lot.

by Anonymousreply 411January 31, 2022 12:05 AM

[quote]I wish Seema wasn’t a cigarette smoker.

Some people smoke. BFD.

by Anonymousreply 412January 31, 2022 12:08 AM

SATC was too long ago for me to remember Steve's occupation.

What was/is it, r410?

by Anonymousreply 413January 31, 2022 12:17 AM

He was a voice and diction teacher, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 414January 31, 2022 12:24 AM

OK, he owns a bar.

by Anonymousreply 415January 31, 2022 12:25 AM

Didn't Steve and Aidan own a bar together?

by Anonymousreply 416January 31, 2022 1:04 AM

I can't be the only one who actually loves how bad some aspects of this show are, can I?

I saw the first movie and then vowed never again. It was Sharknado-level bad—sounds like it might be so bad it's good, but it turns out to be unwatchably bad. I saw the second movie went to Dubai and knew it was going to be too superficial and mindless to bother with.

This new iteration is actually so bad it's fun. It's bad in many different complicated ways. It doesn't understand itself. It tries so hard to be earnest when viewers want dumb dick puns. It's grotesque and unfunny. The new characters are good characters but trapped in a poorly written world and they play second fiddle to the stars, who are not good characters anymore. It seems like the writers not only are riding the woke fad wave but also the psychedelic renaissance wave, tripping their brains out and writing nonsense that they almost certainly take VERY SERIOUSLY but is just...nonsense.

It's actually so forcibly, awkwardly and wrongly woke that even the woke army is saying, "guys, just go back to being ignorant, OK? Ignorant was better than this. Kill Che and forget about the thems and the Latinx stuff. Just show us shoes and glimpses of limp dicks and we will be fine."

by Anonymousreply 417January 31, 2022 1:17 AM

Let’s suggest WORST plot lines. I start:

A) Steve hooks up with Carrie

B) Justin the Nazi hooks up with a CGI-d Sanford

C) Baryshnikov returns

by Anonymousreply 418January 31, 2022 1:23 AM

Carrie walks in as Seema is tucking.

by Anonymousreply 419January 31, 2022 1:25 AM

Che, Brady and Brady's annoying girlfriend confess to Miranda that they are a throuple—and they want her to join to become a foursome.

"I TOLD YOU I can't give you a traditional relationship, Miranda. So you in?"

by Anonymousreply 420January 31, 2022 1:42 AM

A product placement agreement is reached with Vagisil.

by Anonymousreply 421January 31, 2022 1:47 AM

Well, I did learn more than I ever wanted to know about tampons.

by Anonymousreply 422January 31, 2022 2:23 AM

Whenever the SATC universe tries to be woke it ends up being a clumsy misfire (Jennifer Hudson anyone?)

by Anonymousreply 423January 31, 2022 2:55 AM

Can't wait for season two to find out how Charlotte copes with her first-ever encounter with an Asian American.

by Anonymousreply 424January 31, 2022 3:05 AM

What do you call her daughter, dear?

by Anonymousreply 425January 31, 2022 3:10 AM

A few years back, pre-revival, the original SATC writers wrote synopses of episodes they'd produce if the series were updated and they were really strong - great, character-based stories.

It was published in some online magazine and now I can't find it. But it's exactly what this effort *should* have been,

by Anonymousreply 426January 31, 2022 3:12 AM

I couldn't help but wonder if this is what you were looking for, R426?

by Anonymousreply 427January 31, 2022 3:28 AM

Mea Culpa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428January 31, 2022 3:32 AM

Che IS sex.

Che is the city!

Che is the culmination of all my writerly ambitions.

by Anonymousreply 429January 31, 2022 3:35 AM

Excellent work, R427!

by Anonymousreply 430January 31, 2022 3:37 AM

R394, that's not true. Miranda yanks his belt off and pushes him into the bedroom, making some reference to American Beauty: "I'm no Mena Suvari, but I'm great in bed" and they both go in. It's clear they were going to have sex. He left the AA number the next morning as he left. Miranda wakes up with a really bad hangover and finds the note there.

by Anonymousreply 431January 31, 2022 5:59 AM

Seema is impressive. She gleams. She's confident, she acts like she is in command. Age hasn't degraded her; her years burnish her. She is blessed with an attractive face, a reasonably good figure, the money and taste to dress extremely well, and fantastic hair.

But as I said earlier, there's a reason she hasn't found a husband and it's not because she's picky. She's intimidating; a hard, scary ballbuster. Men wisely give her a hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 432January 31, 2022 6:26 AM

I can't believe there haven't been any Seema/semen jokes yet, here or on the show. On the old SATC, that would have been the entire reason her character was introduced, for Sam to say something like, "Seema, what you SEEM to need is some good SEMEN. I know just the guy for you. Nothing funky about HIM!"

by Anonymousreply 433January 31, 2022 11:21 AM

[quote] She's as competent as Charlotte is daffy, but she does seem like a good pairing with Charlotte if they'd just drop all the race shit.

You sound like one of those Lena Dunham “I thought that after Obama we’re all post-racial now” people.

The “race shit” is real. Black people often do worry if their white friends will feel awkward at an all black people party. White people often do confuse black people with each other (my mother received many spontaneous hugs from people who confuse her with the midwife who birthed their babies. She came across said midwife at a supermarket, they took one look at each other and laughed). Seema teasing Carrie that as a POC she isn’t shamed for not taking part in performative charity is real.

This is all stuff that organically happen. People of different races in America have different expectations and different experiences and - yet - they can still be friends and present in each other’s lives. How novel! And how telling that it triggers you.

The show is actually writing LTW and Seema very well.

by Anonymousreply 434January 31, 2022 11:48 AM

It doesn't trigger white people to be friends with people with different skin colors.

It does trigger white people when a tv show of old white heifers suddenly all find friendships at the same time with people with different skin colors.

And when these old white heifers start acting like they'd never seen anyone who wasn't white, well, we bitch endlessly about it here.

by Anonymousreply 435January 31, 2022 11:54 AM

R434 I agree with the spirit of what you wrote. The 'race shit' I was referring to was the shitty way racial matters are framed on the show. I praised the writers for Seema's comment, and I understand that anyone is made uncomfortable by being the only one of their type in a group—especially a group of strangers, including black people, white people, gay people and anyone else.

My problem is that Lisa was introduced via Charlotte's perspective of giddily and awkwardly making her first-ever black friend. I am bothered by that. She has lived in Manhattan for decades. It's an insane proposition, especially considering how knowledgeable she is about African American art history and artists. The writing shows that Lisa is primarily "the black one" to Charlotte, and that's objectifying and weird because Lisa's character is just a cool, charismatic woman. So I don't buy it.

I'm bothered that Nya was introduced to us by Miranda saying "I chose you because you're black." What the fuck? Again, Mirand has lived in NYC for decades. Why did she just fall into 2022 without having lived through the gradual awakening other conscious white people have had over the past decade? It does not ring true at all that she is suddenly struck to wake herself up, and her approach is annoying.

We like Seema because Seema just showed up. She stepped out of a private car onto a cigarette and was immediately defined as having a sovreign personality and character without being positioned as "Carrie's diverse friend." The writing directly addresses her ethnic background and her Hinduism, but it's not an Afterschool Special starring old ladies like the other storyline is. It's just part of who she is. Notice that Carrie wasn't walking on eggshells around her, nervous that she'd say something accidentally racist or SHOCKED that she was interacting with a woman with a different cultural background.

by Anonymousreply 436January 31, 2022 12:14 PM

Paraphrasing a tweet: I wonder if it was part of the plan to bring back Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte so everyone would root for Steve?

by Anonymousreply 437January 31, 2022 2:30 PM

Those storylines are ok... none really made me wish they'd done them. They're all better than this shit. This series feels like after the brainstorm (no endorsement of brain power implied or assumed) they took their top (top is a descriptive term that in addition to meaning best can also mean favourite or most popular) two hundred PostIts and jammed them into ten episodes no matter what it took. These scripts are the creative equivalent of putting on Spanx.

So Carrie wonders: did familiarity breed And Just Like That?

by Anonymousreply 438January 31, 2022 2:39 PM

R436, very well written points.

I would also further that argument and say that SJP deliberately influenced the writers to make her token friend seem more natural, because Carrie is supposed to be the coolest person in NYC. Her friends are the awkward ones that have a lesson to learn, not her.

by Anonymousreply 439January 31, 2022 5:50 PM

We're getting a documentary! hooray...

And they took down the YouTube video from the writer's podcast for episode 9.

haha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440January 31, 2022 8:14 PM

I couldn't help but wonder...why is the all-white main cast of Curb Your Enthusiasm never called out for not being diverse?

by Anonymousreply 441January 31, 2022 8:32 PM

Youtube comments:

New writers ASAP

Yea, lets really explore how this absolute train wreck of a show developed.

Also it would be nice to hear women's stories from women and not a gay white man idea of women Talking to you too Andy Cohen

A documentary about how all these "super woke" writers ruined a once beloved series? Can't wait 🙄

Why did they start putting Miranda in that f*cked up wig?

This is like watching the Captain of the Titanic high fiving his crew after hitting the iceberg

HBO Max - I love your channel but this reboot was a mistake. It’s not funny and it’s just one cringe followed by another. The never ending attempts at WOKENESS are beneath HBO’s stellar programming, since The Larry Sanders Show in the 1990s and the best TV drama of all time, The Sopranos. Curb Your Enthusiasm remains to be hilarious as well.

by Anonymousreply 442January 31, 2022 8:37 PM

"I couldn't help but wonder...why is the all-white main cast of Curb Your Enthusiasm never called out for not being diverse?"

I don't really remember the SATC "main cast" being called out. It was more that they lived in NYC and the show didn't reflect the diversity off the city (like Seinfeld) which I don't think is totally true. I's say any main cast, or regular supporting cast, complaints started long after the show ended and "we need to reexamine" type articles and hot takes started to surface. Still, most of what I've seen is more about diversity in general, not the main cast. Why Curb didn't meet the same criticism, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 443January 31, 2022 10:43 PM

I agree, R433... when AJLT came out I watched the series from start to finish. I was more diverse than it was given credit for. Were there any leads who weren't white? No. Welcome to the times. Frankly, I think they overdid the guilt. It reflected the time and the cluelessness and while that's not great in retrospect, it was omission, not commission.

by Anonymousreply 444January 31, 2022 10:45 PM

Leon, R441.

by Anonymousreply 445January 31, 2022 10:53 PM

R441 Curb’s cast isn’t all white— J. B. Smoove has been one of the main cast members for several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 446January 31, 2022 11:18 PM

Ok they have one black cast member on Curb, but most of the guest stars and background extras are white. I just wonder why Curb doesn't get called out for it. Perhaps the Woke crowd doesn't have Curb on their radar?

by Anonymousreply 447January 31, 2022 11:35 PM

"Ok they have one black cast member on Curb"

Ok they FINALLY have one black cast member on Curb,

by Anonymousreply 448January 31, 2022 11:39 PM

I was thinking the same, R446, and Smoove moved into Larry's house with his family after Hurricane Katrina. The family's name is "the Blacks," and it provided fodder for lots of irreverent jokes.

And that series is actually a very good example of integrating a more diverse cast and racial dynamics into its existing point of view and setting without 'correcting' itself. This season, there was a whole episode about how Leon (Smoove) is caught eating watermelon secretly after having told Larry for years he hates watermelon. He confesses he loves it but won't eat it or fried chicken in front of white people and Larry leads a mini watermelon pride movement in the grocery store to free black people from their self-deprivation because, after all, everybody loves watermelon and no one should have to hide their watermelon love!

Has this been handled like AJLT, Leon would have lectured Larry about the history of black stereotypes and Larry would have nodded knowingly and told Leon he is trying to be a better person. And viewers would have said "what the fuck is this? This is all so out of character and it makes no sense. Larry doesn't know about the 'black people eat watermelon' trope? Who the fuck came up with this? Larry's an idiot now?"

by Anonymousreply 449February 1, 2022 12:46 AM

If Curb's cast's ethnicities are being picked apart, it's far more limited than mostly white. The primary cast is almost entirely Jewish people. Only 2.4 percent of Americans are Jewish, and so technically the series is majority minorities.

by Anonymousreply 450February 1, 2022 12:51 AM

[quote] Ok they FINALLY have one black cast member on Curb,

JB Smoove (and Vivica A Fox who played Larry’s love interest) joined back in 2007.

Curb is a really good example of well written “race shit”. Leon and Larry compare and contrast their black-centric and very Jewish points of view all the time and it’s integrated into storyline’s but is never a “very special episode”.

by Anonymousreply 451February 1, 2022 4:33 AM

Hey! How about some more Curb talk on this AJLT thread!

by Anonymousreply 452February 1, 2022 4:41 AM

I was thinking that too, R450. Curb is very Jewish. Jews are white, but not "white white." So, the Jewish cast provides for check box diversity.

by Anonymousreply 453February 1, 2022 4:45 AM

You Americans are getting tiresome. TARSOME, I say.

by Anonymousreply 454February 1, 2022 11:26 AM

Since Miranda actually lived with a black bf, I would think she would be well acquainted with black people. Samantha had a black bf as well as a Latina gf. And Charlotte managed a NYC gallery for many years; presumably some of her artists and customers were POC.

Carrie?

by Anonymousreply 455February 1, 2022 12:40 PM

I am going to mount a modest defence of the Miranda black people awkwardness in that, in some circumstances, I am so conscious of every word I say, of blowing it, that I am often very silent around some people of colour now in some situations that feel charged. I had a contract with a public, semi-governmental agency where I attended the management meetings. 80% women, 80% women of color, agency had a social focus. I am a white male. I was terrified the whole time of saying something wrong and I saw the other white guy, who was staff and a lovely, decent, lefty man landed in the soup and humiliated in front of his peers for an off-hand remark that was a) harmless and b) got him a wood shedding that his track record and character did not deserve. (Ironically the most dangerous characters were the white women who had awoken. They were like fucking Javert.) So for white people who are understanding more and conscious of what we've come to understand and wanting to get it right, I can see the Miranda scene.

That said, the clumsy, bumbling should have been a Charlotte scene to high comedic effect, because Charlotte is smart enough to know when she's got it wrong but when she does she just gets in deeper and deeper, every time. Miranda is a lawyer. She knows how to tackle situations that need understanding. Her woking should have been thoughtful conversations with Naya.

by Anonymousreply 456February 1, 2022 12:49 PM

Larry's nod to inclusivity was off the charts this season. The staff at Hulu at one of everything, including an obese black woman in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 457February 1, 2022 2:04 PM

The curb nod to diversity is a parody of diverse and inclusive workplaces.

by Anonymousreply 458February 1, 2022 4:03 PM

[quote]Jews are white, but not "white white."

I was about to reply: "Oh hey, Whoopi!" but considering her comments this week, well, never mind!

by Anonymousreply 459February 1, 2022 6:34 PM

"I am going to mount a modest defence of the Miranda black people awkwardness"

The issue isn't awkwardness. Instead, it's that the awkwardness never existed before when Miranda was very comfortable interacting with black people. Now, we're supposed to believe that she's never spoken with black people.

by Anonymousreply 460February 1, 2022 7:09 PM

Granted, R460, but that ship has sailed. I was working with a world where nothing happened if it didn't support making up for the shitkicking taken over the two movies and historic lack of diversity.

by Anonymousreply 461February 1, 2022 7:58 PM

They should have just started with minorities as part of the story and filled in the blanks later on how they became part of the story.

by Anonymousreply 462February 1, 2022 8:01 PM

True, good point, R462... it's been 10 + years since Lawrence of My Labia and they're only making diversity friends now?

by Anonymousreply 463February 1, 2022 8:12 PM

Review: “And Just Like That” Ends with An Actually Pleasant 10th Episode, Miranda Colors Her Hair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464February 1, 2022 8:16 PM

Maybe they are dining on a sidewalk when a garbage truck veers off the street and plows over them. The hall ending viewers deserve!

by Anonymousreply 465February 1, 2022 9:12 PM

Her hair or a new wig, r464?

I imagine what happened is somewhere during filming, maybe around ep. 3, Cynthia decided her hair, which is not abundant, couldn't take the constant and necessary fussing during every shot on set, and she demanded a wig. It seemed to me, at least at first, that she would occasionally return to using her own hair for some scenes, even within the same episode. Nevertheless, a wig would be fine if they could provide her with ine of better quality.

by Anonymousreply 466February 1, 2022 9:15 PM

As punishment for this, I think SJP should be required to do a remake of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane in which Kim Cattrall gets top billing.

by Anonymousreply 467February 1, 2022 9:58 PM

When does the finale drop?

by Anonymousreply 468February 1, 2022 10:09 PM

Like a turd, it drops after dinner

by Anonymousreply 469February 1, 2022 10:12 PM

MPK and Marc Malkin are both insane. “Responds” to criticism here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470February 2, 2022 12:04 AM

MPK: “Che is, in my estimation, honest, dangerous, sexy, funny and warm. What everybody else is projecting on that character has a lot to do with what they want to have happen to Miranda in the story. It has so little to do with Che.”

by Anonymousreply 471February 2, 2022 12:06 AM

R453 = not Whoopi Goldberg

by Anonymousreply 472February 2, 2022 4:05 AM

MPK is the problem. They need to ditch him. I guarantee the quality would improve exponentially if he were to leave the show alone. He doesn’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 473February 2, 2022 4:09 AM

I refuse to read that puff piece, R471. Did MPK really say that?

Dear God, he's delusional. Absolutely tone-deaf. His - and the show's - only job is to please the fans and he's obviously failing. But to blame the widespread dislike of a character he created on the audience? Absolutely suicidal.

HBO needs to fire his ass.

by Anonymousreply 474February 2, 2022 4:12 AM

R474 YEP

by Anonymousreply 475February 2, 2022 5:06 AM

[quote]MPK: “Che is, in my estimation, honest, dangerous, sexy, funny and warm. What everybody else is projecting on that character has a lot to do with what they want to have happen to Miranda in the story. It has so little to do with Che.”

Talk about living in The Nile. He's like a parent who won't accept that their kid is an ugly asshole that everybody hates.

by Anonymousreply 476February 2, 2022 5:55 AM

It is all about MPK, not about us. He seems like a huge, exhausting asshole. Is Che based on his personality?

by Anonymousreply 477February 2, 2022 10:38 AM

So basically the powers that be are telling the viewers " Shut up and eat this shit and like it!". Doubling down on the media manipulation.

People need to just watching this.

by Anonymousreply 478February 2, 2022 10:53 AM

just stop watching ^

by Anonymousreply 479February 2, 2022 10:54 AM

They could still salvage Che. Have her show up at brunch with a machine gun and blow the main three away,

The next season can pick up with the black characters.

by Anonymousreply 480February 2, 2022 10:56 AM

A coworker friend of mine is a black woman who is around 70. I was surprised yesterday to learn she is watching AJLT. She thinks the awkwardness around blackness feels credible, and to quote her, "I LOVE CHE!!!"

So I guess it's working for some people!

She did admit the writing is terrible, plots and dialogue alike, and she said she likes that SJP has allowed herself to age without bizarre surgeries, but that she "is over" her wardrobe and it makes her sad to see an old lady dress up in "little girl dresses and tutus."

by Anonymousreply 481February 2, 2022 11:16 AM

Our target audience is EXACTLY 70 year old grannies!

by Anonymousreply 482February 2, 2022 11:22 AM

MPK, you sniveling delusional clusterf*ck!

We should all stream KC’s Filthy Rich so Fox can bring it back!

by Anonymousreply 483February 2, 2022 11:35 AM

MPK, SJP, and CN need to wake up and smell the lack of talent. It's 2022, they are competing with shows like Mare of Eastown. I just watched Station Elevan, and the writing is infinitely better than ajlt.

When yoi have to explain and compliment how deep and dynamic a character is in an interview that does NOT come across at all on your show, you have no talent.

by Anonymousreply 484February 2, 2022 11:38 AM

Nothing will change for the better, based on Variety and it was all me, me, me, I, I, I. You'd think he did the whole thing single handedly.

I would really love to understand how MPK in particular has what seems to be total ownership and control of the franchise. Who owns the copyright that allows for the series to be commissioned?

by Anonymousreply 485February 2, 2022 1:27 PM

This is gonna kill Sara Ramirez' career.

by Anonymousreply 486February 2, 2022 2:07 PM

I don't think it will kill her career but it will be interesting whether she reprises the role in any further series. If I was her agent, I'd tell her to run. It's doing nothing for her brand.

by Anonymousreply 487February 2, 2022 2:23 PM

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I think Ramirez is really good in her scenes. THe problem for me is the general idea for the character, the terrible writing, (especially her stand up) and they way she looks. She does not look attractive at all, so when people keep saying how sexy she is, it kind of turns my stomach.

by Anonymousreply 488February 2, 2022 3:59 PM

MPK claims "the door is not open for Kim to return", conveniently forgetting she was never going to walk through it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489February 2, 2022 4:27 PM

^ That is the remark of a big ego and wounded feelings. It's not quite as bad a the snot oozing from the NYT interview but MPK really shouldn't be interviewed if there's an interest in avoiding the appearance of total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 490February 2, 2022 4:32 PM

Why has SJP done such little press for this?

by Anonymousreply 491February 2, 2022 6:21 PM

R491 She’s busy rehearsing for Plaza Suite. Maybe next season.

by Anonymousreply 492February 2, 2022 6:25 PM

I thought she was filming Hocus Pocus 2

by Anonymousreply 493February 2, 2022 6:45 PM

She’s too embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 494February 2, 2022 8:29 PM

Her trainers don't want to wear her out.

by Anonymousreply 495February 2, 2022 9:17 PM

“ the door is not open for Kim to return"

And the only reason we keep talking about her and having Carrie reach out to her is because we want her to know the door is not open. And all of the continuing references to her are really intended to convey that the door is not open.

But if she would be a dear and would return Carrie’s text, then we will pay her whatever the fuck she wants

by Anonymousreply 496February 2, 2022 9:21 PM

Sara Ramirez killed her own character by changing her look to that of an unattractive bulldyke and only playing same

by Anonymousreply 497February 2, 2022 9:50 PM

*her own career

by Anonymousreply 498February 2, 2022 9:51 PM

Not sure she's interested (or physically capable) but if Ramirez could lose 20 (30?) lbs and grow her hair out I think she's more than talented enough to make a big splash as an entirely different kind of (heterosexual) character. It's certainly what I'd advise her if I were her agent/manager.

by Anonymousreply 499February 3, 2022 12:15 AM

Honestly, if I was her manager, I'd say no more AJLT.

by Anonymousreply 500February 3, 2022 12:19 AM

She looked like a drag queen when she won the Tony in 2005

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501February 3, 2022 12:19 AM

I'm doing my part by illegally streaming the show even though I have HBOMax

by Anonymousreply 502February 3, 2022 12:49 AM

One plus for Sara at R501 is she beat out that cunt JoANNA Gleeson for that Tony.

by Anonymousreply 503February 3, 2022 1:42 AM

I know nothing about Ramirez other than AJLT so I'm pleased to hear she actually has talent. It makes it sadder that she couldn't elevate CliCHÉ above how she was written.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504February 3, 2022 1:51 AM

R503 Joanna Gleason played the therapist in the SATC movie who helped Miranda and Steve find their way back to one another. Looks like Sara Ramirez effed poor Joanna over twice!

by Anonymousreply 505February 3, 2022 2:14 AM

R505 she came across as a Low Rent Lowenstein during that scene.

by Anonymousreply 506February 3, 2022 2:19 AM

WOW! I'd forgotten but, if you know Broadway, that was incredible competition for the Tony Award that Sara Ramirez won. Any one of those women would have been deserving.

by Anonymousreply 507February 3, 2022 2:23 AM

Sara's already playing damage control

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508February 3, 2022 2:31 AM

I always thought SR was incredible ugly. When she first appeared on Grey's and every character kept referring to her as hot and sexy, I was like, wtf. And then they paired her up with tiny TR Knight. Quoting what some critic said about the DiCaprio/Winslet pairing on Titanic, "it was like watching a chihuahua try to mount a golden retriever".

by Anonymousreply 509February 3, 2022 2:36 AM

I don't think Ramirez is 'ugly' at all, but I do think they are hard looking. Which does seem to be sexy to a lot of gay women.

by Anonymousreply 510February 3, 2022 2:42 AM

Interesting. She's doing the rounds. MPK is doing the rounds. A bit of a blitz before the failed season autopsy stories after Thursday?

by Anonymousreply 511February 3, 2022 2:46 AM

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

Che gets a pilot in California and subjects us to singing the Beach Boys

by Anonymousreply 512February 3, 2022 7:28 AM

Hope Miranda and Che go to California and we don’t have to see them again

by Anonymousreply 513February 3, 2022 7:28 AM

I'm watching the finale episode and it's sort of bittersweet and also completely ridiculous. I liked, if not loved, most of AJLT. It had some nice pieces that could have been assembled better.

I'd love if Carrie would go off on Miranda and tell her she's making a mistake like Miranda did to her when Carrie was going to Paris.

by Anonymousreply 514February 3, 2022 7:34 AM

MOK is delusional. And Sara is delusional. And Che’s awful haircut is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 515February 3, 2022 7:36 AM

*MPK

by Anonymousreply 516February 3, 2022 7:39 AM

I actually like the trans Rabbi. I wish Harry would slap Rock.

by Anonymousreply 517February 3, 2022 7:46 AM

A very "clean" last episode - wrapped up with a satin bow. I really there would be some push back in the Che-Miranda story line.

Carrie in Paris in that ridiculous dress spreading Big's ashes - corny, but fitting (don't mind the ridiculous getups). I feel like making Samantha even a "virtual" character via text is disrespectful to Kim Cattrall.

by Anonymousreply 518February 3, 2022 7:53 AM

We called it that the good looking producer was going to get with Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 519February 3, 2022 7:55 AM

If there's a second season, I think they set it up well for it to continue. Carrie with her podcast, dating the hot producer, Miranda off with Che. Hopefully Seema more centered as Carrie's friend.

For all the "check box diversity" misgivings by some, I really didn't think they over did it with the three black and brown women who were friends of Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda. They were used sparingly. Seema and LTW were integrated very well. They could have cut out the whole thing with the professor and her husband, which we've discussed seemed like it was a different show. I liked all three characters. Che was annoying but I guess the point was Miranda was making a huge change and Che was a huge change.

A pretty good last episode.

by Anonymousreply 520February 3, 2022 8:01 AM

Jesus God, that was horrendous. WTF did I just watch? I burst out laughing when they cut to Carrie in that Xanadu Nine Sisters I'm Alive reject getup.

Charlotte, you are a bad mother. You've raised two spoiled little cunts.

The cutting around Big was clumsy and ridiculous, and like everything else this season that didn't work (which was pretty much everything), just laid there like a bloated corpse.

I really hope they don't bring this thing back for a 2nd season without really retooling it. Get rid of ALL the extraneous characters or figure out how to really incorporate them. Send all the kids off to boarding school. Slam Miranda in the head with a 2x4 and never, NEVER speak the name Che Diaz or use a bullshit pronoun again.

On a somewhat side note- What happened to Isaac Powell? Did he ever show up in the season? I know he was cast, and IMDB has him listed in tonight's episode, but I sure didn't see him.

by Anonymousreply 521February 3, 2022 8:02 AM

Second season - Carrie and Charlotte. Miranda lives somewhere with Che and they communicate with her and see her sometimes, but she's not a main character. That also rids us of Steve and Brady. More Seema as a main friend/character. LTW used about the same amount, maybe a little more, than she was this season. Professor gone - not because I don't her, but her link to the show was via Miranda. Carrie has a lover - the producer, and we see their relationship succeed or fail or succeed then fail. Carrie has the podcast, so we get back to the old "column question" format of episodes - where a sex/relationship question is explored via the main cast and one-off episode guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 522February 3, 2022 8:09 AM

"Professor gone - not because I don't her, but her link to the show was via Miranda."

I meant to say, "not because I don't like her ...."

by Anonymousreply 523February 3, 2022 8:11 AM

WTF is Brady supposed to say "Glad you dyed your hair red again after you dumped dad for that butch creature"

by Anonymousreply 524February 3, 2022 8:15 AM

Brady was surprisingly chill. Maybe he hates Steve and doesn't care his parents aren't together. Or, more likely, the writers didn't give any thought to Brady as a character and he's just there.

by Anonymousreply 525February 3, 2022 8:17 AM

The writers don't seem to understand human interaction or the world past the 90's. They think a podcast is a call in radio show.

by Anonymousreply 526February 3, 2022 8:21 AM

[quote]I'm watching the finale episode and it's sort of bittersweet and also completely ridiculous.

I haven't enjoyed this reboot very much, but I did find some of it bittersweet. I actually was hoping Samantha and Carrie would meet up, but then we don't even get a discussion on it. And this show really doesn't know what a podcast is (though I do think Carrie would be better doing her own than belonging to whatever it was that Che was doing).

I hope this means Sara Ramirez is saving her career and leaving Che behind her now. Che was still awful, the way they spring that surprise on someone they're dating and then is all: "I'm a narcissist!" thinking they're joking. Very selfish.

SJP looked great at the "they-mitzvah". And I loved the look of the lolly bar. And the rabbi was fun. Also, I disagree with others here, I totally thought it was fair for Rock to say they didn't want to be pigeonholed as anything. Especially when it comes to religion, which is always forced on children from an early age.

Getting to the end of this though just confirms to me how badly the show did with forcing all these characters and storylines into it. We should've spent more time with Charlotte's kids, with the new characters etc. It felt like I was meant to be feeling more than I did, but we haven't had enough time with them.

by Anonymousreply 527February 3, 2022 8:22 AM

I have preteen and teenage nephews and nieces and they got the kids parts right. Kids today think the world revolves around them (more so than other generations) and are very adamant about their rights.

by Anonymousreply 528February 3, 2022 8:27 AM

I didn't want more time with them. They ranged from awful to unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 529February 3, 2022 8:28 AM

So Carrie did meet with Samantha off camera.

by Anonymousreply 530February 3, 2022 8:29 AM

I didn't like the LTW or Nya couple. Why are blacks always represented as ideal and enviable, and never ordinary or below average or criminal?

by Anonymousreply 531February 3, 2022 8:29 AM

The producer was hotter when he didn't speak much.

by Anonymousreply 532February 3, 2022 8:30 AM

Cynthia EXPOSED

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533February 3, 2022 8:30 AM

Miranda looked the same age as Che's grandmas

by Anonymousreply 534February 3, 2022 8:31 AM

R534, I thought that too!

by Anonymousreply 535February 3, 2022 8:49 AM

"Guys, I'm moving across the country and as you know, there is no possible way to record an audio-only podcast from outside of this small room in Manhattan. Since no one has invented telephones or high-speed internet with video chat that can easily record audio, I must abandon this podcast project."

"Oh, yes, that makes a lot of sense. Good luck to you. Send us letters and postcards when you find time to write from the covered wagon."

by Anonymousreply 536February 3, 2022 11:12 AM

Covered wagons? Well, horses are involved.

by Anonymousreply 537February 3, 2022 11:21 AM

OK, Carrie's storyline got me, from the lamp to the dream to the end.

Miranda continues to disappoint. I'm surprised she told Nya before Carrie and Charlotte, and only told them incidentally, that she was moving. After all those years.

by Anonymousreply 538February 3, 2022 11:54 AM

[quote]I feel like making Samantha even a "virtual" character via text is disrespectful to Kim Cattrall.

The show - whatever its merits - really doesn't need Samantha any longer. Or Miranda. Especially Miranda. I haven't seen it yet but she's gone from social justice warrior wannbe to California gal? Well, why not?

If there's a series two leave weird, unlikeable, shrill Miranda out hiding from the sun and fill the third and fourth chairs with Seema and LTW and you got yourself a manageable show.

The pragmatist in me says Nixon likes and needs money and work as much as the rest of us, so why turn down a second series? But maybe she's done with the franchise? Maybe her deal was one season where Miranda and I morph into one big show ruining symmetrical mirror image and then I go to LA of all places and am never heard from again.

If we're really, really, really, really, really, really lucky.

by Anonymousreply 539February 3, 2022 12:00 PM

The Daily Mail is trying to spin MPK's comments as opening the door a wee bit to a Samantha recast. I can't see the point. They've re-established the friendship is not dead as Big, Seema fills the void. I give these writers credit for next to nothing but if the thing isn't renewed, they tied up where they started effectively.

by Anonymousreply 540February 3, 2022 12:02 PM

I had to ask myself, after ten episodes, lows and lowers, and enough bodily functions subplots to be a Dumb and Dumber tribute: can one series really be this over written and under written at the same time?

And just like that I realized, when you stuff a turkey, it's the audience that doesn't understand.

by Anonymousreply 541February 3, 2022 12:08 PM

It seems like Samantha is Carrie's second infatuation after John. It's touching in a way and strange in a way, particularly given that Sam moved away and stopped communicating with Carrie. She seems a little bit stalkerish. Sam stopped talking to her altogether and Carrie has used her grief and "oops I revealed an intimate encounter with you publicly!" as bait to get responses from Sam.

It would be satisfying to see Cattrall show up as Samantha just to meet Carrie and say, "Listen, Honey, I'm sorry your husband is dead, but you're not getting my signal. I'm just not that into you! I skipped the country to get away from you and you still won't let it go! We had a good time! It's over! Please DON'T make me get an international restraining order! Now, I have an appointment to get dicked by two libidinous young boulangers, so I gotta run. Sorry again about the guy, sweetheart."

It's really interesting that fans chatter about Cattrall, the characters chatter about Samantha, the actors chatter about Cattrall, the producers chatter about her, journalists talk about her, and she doesn't say a goddamned thing. It makes everyone but Kim Cattrall seem kind of obsessive and borderline crazy.

by Anonymousreply 542February 3, 2022 12:14 PM

IMO, Carrie's worst break-up came via Post-It Note.

Carrie had a lot of nerve judging Miranda about her choices. I recall sitting through that silliness of her moving to Paris to be with the Russian. She left everything behind -- even her column. The geriatric ballerina paid her no mind when they were in New York; I have no idea why she thought things would be different in Paris.

I hated Big, but even I was relieved when he arrived to get her stupid ass.

Carrie's such an asshole. An asshole with a short memory.

And I wish she'd leave Samantha alone. I never thought Sam would hang out with such an uptight, judgey bitch to begin with. Samantha gave Carrie some good years and some good times. Time to get over it!

by Anonymousreply 543February 3, 2022 12:22 PM

One blessing, no Aiden, right? So was that all bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 544February 3, 2022 12:22 PM

Damn, I loved this episode with the exception of Miranda/Che. Although I did enjoy Sara Ramirez’ voice when she was singing, too bad she didn’t do more musicals after her Tony award win. More Seema would have been good.

I’m assuming the setup for the next season will be Carrie and the cute producer will be a thing for a while; a Che-less Miranda returns from L.A.; Charlotte continues to be daffy. Don’t imagine Nya would return.

Was the season perfect? Far from it, but I’m glad it was done and I’m glad I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 545February 3, 2022 2:13 PM

Please, no Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 546February 3, 2022 2:39 PM

Random thoughts about the season finale:

1) The Carrie storyline worked, largely because it has the chance of ushering out the grief storyline. I actually like SJP most of the time, but a huge problem with this revival has been her performance. Morose, listless Carrie might be accurate given the character's state of mind, but it hasn't been fun to watch. Compare 2022 Carrie to the energetic, punny, fun-loving Carrie of 2002 and the difference is stark.

2) The show really does have a serious Miranda problem and it can surely be traced back to Cynthia Nixon. There was the mean Miranda at breakfast, scolding Carrie for considering that there might be an Afterlife, the daffy Miranda who had once again got blindsided by Che at the party, and the ridiculously out of character Miranda who would throw over her career, family and friends to be with someone who's not committed to her. None of those Mirandas resemble the smart, sensible, insightful Miranda from SATC.

And shame on these writers for not exploring the ramifications of Miranda's actions. We don't see how gutted her husband and son are, how torn Miranda might be, how mystified and perhaps disappointed her friends would be. It's more than an oversight - it's egregious. This was not an honest portrayal of a 50-something woman finding her true self. It was a concession to an egomaniacal actress.

3) Sara Ramirez has a great singing voice. I loved her version of "California Girls." And I hope we've seen the last of Chez Diaz, forevermore.

4.) Anthony scolding Rock was pitch-perfect. He's his/ her de facto uncle and it made sense that he'd call him/her onto the carpet for laziness.

5) Charlotte has been the one character the writers got right, all season. She's leading the life we all thought she'd lead and she's more Charlotte than ever. Her getting bar-mitzvahed was hilarious.

6) It's impossible to watch this and not feel like viewers aren't getting social-engineered to death. How many transgendered characters need to be crammed into one episode? And sorry, the non-binary pronouns drove me fucking batshit. I really don't believe most people use the "hey/them" lingo outside of social media or journalism. It's serious overkill on this show.

7) Carrie having her own podcast called SATC where she discusses relationship issues would be a great fix for this show (I'd thought this several episodes ago). If there's a second season, tying in that week's theme to her podcast would be a smart update to the original, which used her column to do the same.

And finally:

8) Did NO ONE on the production staff object when a PODCAST was said to take CALLS?? Who doesn't know how podcasts work??

Rant over,

by Anonymousreply 547February 3, 2022 2:42 PM

[quote]I really don't believe most people use the "hey/them" lingo outside of social media or journalism.

I really don't believe most people could remember them all.

by Anonymousreply 548February 3, 2022 2:46 PM

"I didn't like the LTW or Nya couple. Why are blacks always represented as ideal and enviable, and never ordinary or below average or criminal?"

It's totally what YOU'RE watching. What have you watched in the past 30 years? Blacks are always portrayed as ordinary, below average, and criminal.

by Anonymousreply 549February 3, 2022 4:13 PM

Miranda did look better with her hair dyed red.

by Anonymousreply 550February 3, 2022 4:16 PM

Anyone else think that was kitty litter?

by Anonymousreply 551February 3, 2022 5:19 PM

The last ep was pretty bad, but did tie things up a bit in case of no renewal.

SJP / Carrie is annoying, but it’s been interesting to see her in dour mode. Somewhat brave. We’re all reevaluating things in mid-life. How much of the somber mood of the show is actually coming from the viewers’ own reflections?

Pretty badly written season, but it’s entertaining at least.

Loved Auntie Anthony’s scolding Rock!

by Anonymousreply 552February 3, 2022 5:47 PM

PRetty bad, but I did like Rabbi Jan! We were laughing uproariously at Carrie's outfit in Paris.

Okay so here's Season 2: Charlotte and family move to Israel. The whole season is Carrie texting her, Samantha in London, Miranda in LA, Sanford in Japan, not to mention Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin and whatever shoe designer is on her radar that week. It will make for an hilarious season. Must watch TV!

by Anonymousreply 553February 3, 2022 6:17 PM

So her sweet date politely asks skittish Carrie if he can kiss her knowing that she’s just coming out of mourning and she criticizes his lack of spontaneity. This is why I hate Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 554February 3, 2022 8:16 PM

From one of the post-season interviews:

[quote]If some miracle were to happen, and Cattrall wanted to play Samantha again, would Parker be OK with that? “I don’t think I would, because I think there’s just too much public history of feelings on her part that she’s shared,” Parker said. “I haven’t participated in or read articles, although people are inclined to let me know.”

SJP is sooo above it all. Sure bitch.

by Anonymousreply 555February 3, 2022 8:37 PM

You know the writers are geniuses in that they waited to the end of the season to utilize Sara's great singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 556February 3, 2022 8:39 PM

I love how MPK and SJP keep acting like they're the ones keeping Cattrall off the show.

She told you assholes no, several times. And she hasn't commented on the new series once. Yet you both keep bringing her up. Who has the problem?

by Anonymousreply 557February 3, 2022 8:40 PM

WTF is this insane dress? And who puts orange and purple together???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558February 3, 2022 8:44 PM

The last episode was the dreckiest in a season of utter, utter dreck. The best seasons of the original show were grounded in reality, light-hearted and funny. This was just corny in the worst way.

by Anonymousreply 559February 3, 2022 8:47 PM

I listened to it because I would have cringed to death if I had watched the screen.

Bury Miranda at sea. Emancipate Rock so we don't have to listen to her whiny ass again. Give Seema her own show about her four DESI gal pals, as long as one isn't Mindy Kaling. And I never want to see simpering, narcissist SJP in anything again. Maybe she can change places with Bridget Fonda.

Thanks for killing "Hello, it's me" forever.

by Anonymousreply 560February 3, 2022 9:01 PM

Has it ever happened that a bar mitzvah boy or girl refused to perform at the last minute? Its pretty clear that Charlotte's daughter could not have fulfilled her role so she decided to bail, under some ideological pretence. But there must be some children who are not well enough prepared by the appointed day. Rock's parents were warned.

If there were 300 guests, the event would have cost $30,000 at a bare minimum. I don't see a Chinese kid pulling a stunt like that.

by Anonymousreply 561February 3, 2022 9:14 PM

Rabbi Jan needs her own series.

SHALOM AND THE CITY

by Anonymousreply 562February 3, 2022 9:16 PM

If the kids aren't well-prepared, they sing one prayer and do the rest in English. Or they have a phonetic version of the Hebrew and read that aloud.

The whole thing was a fairy tale.

by Anonymousreply 563February 3, 2022 9:27 PM

And Jews like that, I realized Charlotte had organized a real Whoopi.

by Anonymousreply 564February 3, 2022 9:29 PM

"I, for one, appreciate seeing life beyond the enchanted happy ending. Call me a glutton for discord and cynicism, but I sincerely hope this series is greenlit for a second season. These are still my women, through and through (even if they no longer see each other with that same rosiness).

There are innumerable reasons to lovingly hate-watch this series, from its try-hard cultural tone deafness to its superfluous vision of carefree mega-wealth to its insistence that insufferable Che Diaz is the funniest and most famous comedian in the world. Still, I genuinely looked forward to it every week. Call me a classic Charlotte, but I prefer to see the emotional intelligence hidden underneath all its impossible dumbness. Perhaps we’ll all judge these characters way less, however, when we stop seeing them as sublimating our own identities."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565February 3, 2022 9:29 PM

^ From the article:

"She finally recognizes that she no longer wants the current of her detached marriage to drift her toward the grave. Yeah, Che might be a “comedy concert”-performing douche who hosts a podcast that no human would ever listen to, but I respect that Miranda has the right to love whomever she wants — even if that means following them to Los Angeles instead of participating in a prestigious internship for her master’s program. Carrie, as it turns out, may not be willing to afford her that same respect."

This is true. But who rooted for her? Bad writing. Bad show running. The whole reboot was a great idea really badly done.

by Anonymousreply 566February 3, 2022 9:37 PM

Knowing Chris Noth was a big, fat ole sleaze who had gotten booted from the show undercut the theme of Carrie grieving for her lost love. SJP was unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 567February 3, 2022 9:42 PM

CliCHE til the end. The writers can't even write about show business.

No one MOVES for a pilot. Those are AT MAX a two month commitment and the majority are a few weeks. Why not give the Worlds Greatest Comedian an extended comedy tour?

And Why the fuck can't Che record their podcast from LA? Is there no wifi??

And of course the writers had to pat themselves on the back about podcast hottie. They made it "so subtle" that he'd be Carrie's new man, even though DL was calling it day one.

by Anonymousreply 568February 3, 2022 9:51 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569February 3, 2022 9:54 PM

“ And who puts orange and purple together???”

Fuck you faggot

by Anonymousreply 570February 3, 2022 9:58 PM

I may be alone in this, but I kind of loved how they handled Samantha's absence. I never liked KC or her character, so the texting was the perfect amount of Sam for me.

by Anonymousreply 571February 3, 2022 9:58 PM

Has anyone watched the "documentary"?

by Anonymousreply 572February 3, 2022 10:00 PM

I love this comment from the Mail Online: Whatever happened to the other girl on Square Pegs? The one who could act.

by Anonymousreply 573February 3, 2022 10:01 PM

^ LOL!

by Anonymousreply 574February 3, 2022 10:02 PM

Che is Cynthia's fault. CONFIRMED.

Nya was supposed to be Miranda's love interest, but Cynthia had "sexier" ideas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575February 3, 2022 10:03 PM

Is she talking about the dress or SJP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576February 3, 2022 10:05 PM

r571 We know, MPK.

by Anonymousreply 577February 3, 2022 10:08 PM

r576 That HAD to be intentionally funny. I just started laughing.

SJP really did look great at the "They-Mitzvah" though.

by Anonymousreply 578February 3, 2022 10:10 PM

Next thread below for the final bitchy comments about AJLT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579February 3, 2022 10:15 PM

I take umbrage at even the barest hint that the hot podcast producer and Carrie would get together for anything remotely romantic or sexy. UMBRAGE.

by Anonymousreply 580February 3, 2022 10:55 PM

Get the fuck out of here, r558.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581February 3, 2022 10:58 PM

This last episode was almost so bad, did they actually reuse that damned turban from the painting scene? I have to say that dumped off a bridge is way better than the family crypt. Totally believable. As is a prudish elder woman hosting a podcast extolling traditional relationship advice.

It's funny how they have Miranda make every mistake with cliChé being similar to former critiques of hers to Carrie regarding Big and Petrovsky. The writers may not have much of a sense of humor but the stylists have me thoroughly entertained. They all couldn't have looked more ridiculous through the last episode; puffed sleeves, bad wigs, Eiffel Tower bag, opera length gloves and a clementine costume were just a few of the gems.

Totally a cheat move with those texts from 'Samantha'.

by Anonymousreply 582February 3, 2022 11:00 PM

Thoughts (and prayers):

I loved how Carrie invites both women to Paris, but when Miranda has scheduling issues, Carrie tells Charlotte, "nah, I'm good. I'll just go by myself." They've supposedly been besties for 40 years. Poor Charlotte.

I'm loving everyone calling out AJLT for not knowing how podcasts work. Also, Carrie's podcast. We only heard 30 seconds of it and I had to talk myself down from the ledge. How depressing!

Loved Charlotte getting Bat mitzvahed, but hated her 80s prom dress.

In regards to the trans rabbi. Is "sassy" really what someone wants in a spiritual guide? If that's what you're into, why are you even doing religion at all?

by Anonymousreply 583February 3, 2022 11:08 PM

Thank God we've gotten past the pollyannish reviews of this episode. It's as bad as the rest of them. Carrie treats her date like shit, Anthony makes sourdough challa (sounds revolting), Che's dumb party (a pilot for what?), the Black lawyer suddenly wants to hang out with Miranda, Big's ashes in Paris? He seems to have no sentimental tie there (she does) and his family has a crypt---he dies but it's all about her. Brady is conveniently written away (along with Steve about whom nothing is said). Carrie's podcast advice seems insipid and fucking her boss will be even dumber than the Big romance. The Samantha text is, of course, the teaser that won't result in anything.

A more realistic end to the Miranda-Che thing would have been for Che to point out the obvious---Miranda is a needy 12 year old and end things with her. Instead we get a bad "Beach Boys" cover and more Miranda as a 12 year old. At least Che admits to being a narcissist. Carrie's "judgment" is the only realistic behavior in the whole episode.

I hope Rabbi Jen comes back if there's a second season. I'm surprised she isn't trans---that was my first guess. And finally they dress Charlotte in something that doesn't accentuate those hips.

SJP has more wrinkles than I do and I have a few years on her. I have a better neck, too. Big did not seem like the Todd Rundgren type---more frat rock-ish. And that hideous orange dress with the raspberry gloves.

Miranda looks so much better as a red head.

by Anonymousreply 584February 3, 2022 11:22 PM

I assumed Rabbi Jen was trans

by Anonymousreply 585February 3, 2022 11:29 PM

I really wish Samantha had pulled a Berger in response to Carrie's request for a cocktail/catch up

by Anonymousreply 586February 3, 2022 11:30 PM

^ That would require MPK and the hip-replacement sisters to have a sense of humour about themselves.

by Anonymousreply 587February 3, 2022 11:34 PM

I love orange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588February 3, 2022 11:36 PM

Rabbi Jen IS trans

by Anonymousreply 589February 3, 2022 11:41 PM

Yup. They mention a couple times. Charlotte was relieved she secured a trans Rabbi. And as predictable as that may be in this series, I really liked Rabbi Jen.

by Anonymousreply 590February 3, 2022 11:54 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I thought Kristen Davis came off best. Charlotte didn’t evolve into someone we don’t recognize. Some people just never change with age and Charlotte is one of them. She got the life and husband and kids she wanted and GASP she’s happy!!!! Would have loved a scene where Charlotte and family run into Trey.

by Anonymousreply 591February 4, 2022 12:03 AM

Didn't like the the first two episodes, but grew to like the show. I thought it was fine, and like I've said a couple of times before, there were a lot of really good pieces and perfomrances that didn't ever end up completely fitting together. At times it felt bloated and like they didn't know what to do with various story arcs (possibly because they didn't know if they'd have one, two, or three seasons). That said, I did enjoy it and looked forward to it every week. I'm glad it was made. But, IMO, it's forgettable. I don't think I'll ever rewatch it like I do SATC. But, I'd definitely check out a second season.

by Anonymousreply 592February 4, 2022 12:04 AM

Podcast is up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593February 4, 2022 12:06 AM

Same, R591.

I never liked Charlotte. She was so dull and so naive and so relatively uninteresting. The big revelation to me from this season is that Davis can be really, really funny, and being older seems to make her funnier, and having bizarre lips is distracting but not so distracting it keeps her from being funny. I am really impressed with her. Slow and Steady Charlotte won the race.

by Anonymousreply 594February 4, 2022 1:10 AM

I accidentally blocked myself. How do I undo that? Jesus I'm so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 595February 4, 2022 2:47 AM

Okay I figured it out.

by Anonymousreply 596February 4, 2022 2:50 AM

Charlotte was totally annoying this season. The lips didn't bother me as much as her inability to act. Also, the plot lines made her into an annoying bossy busybody. She may seem better off than Miranda or Carrie but only because she didn't have to act like an infant (Miranda) or be a totally self-centered bitch in freakish clothes (Carrie).

by Anonymousreply 597February 4, 2022 2:55 AM

In the end, what was the point of all these extra characters that were introduced (the mayoral candidate and his wife, the law school professor and her husband, Seema,...)? It feels insulting that they inserted them in as token minority characters without giving them anything of substance to work with. For a show that was intentionally trying to make a diversity point, it evolved into pure tokenism. Rabbi Jen was fun - I'd rather watch a show about her than the three main characters.

by Anonymousreply 598February 4, 2022 3:00 AM

And just like that....

by Anonymousreply 599February 4, 2022 3:02 AM

This show, and thread, were mercifully over.

by Anonymousreply 600February 4, 2022 3:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!