Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Karen Carpenter 1981 GMA interview

Do you believe Karen spoke to the GMA producers before her 1981 interview?

Hard to believe she was just 31 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579February 23, 2022 9:11 AM

Such a loss. Her voice could have aged in beautiful ways. I'm grateful for the music Karen Carpenter made.

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2022 7:12 AM

Fuck.....where is her NECK?!?

She looks like a skull on a post.

Horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2022 7:16 AM

Her hair was the epitome of dead protein

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2022 7:17 AM

R3 Dust bunnies held together with White Rain.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2022 7:36 AM

why does she have 2 sets of eyebrows??? i don’t understand at all there was so much going on with her face to begin with…. did the makeup people say hey we need an extra set of eyebrows, no one will be able to take their eyes off them, so hopefully they won’t notice she is a skeleton

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2022 7:39 AM

This poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2022 7:42 AM

R4 LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2022 7:42 AM

I would bet the farm I don't own that Richard was both fucking her, and fucking with her. Not to mention what hell her mother put her through.

What a wonderful talent she was. I'm so sad she couldn't get away from the clutches of the vultures around her.

Some of the most comprehensive information about her life and eventual demise is here. Good photos too as well as anecdotes from friends and acquaintances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2022 7:51 AM

I thought it was just a bad perm.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2022 7:52 AM

She would not listen to the pleas of everyone in her life. Do you honestly think somebody at GMA would make a difference. She would have gotten up and walked off and gone straight to the shitter to throw ip.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2022 7:54 AM

I was so close to my goal weight in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2022 8:14 AM

The infamous "slimmer's disease" interview w/ Sue Lawley, 1981:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2022 8:23 AM

Her family did say something (and they were a dysfunctional family, no doubt about it). "Saying something" doesn't cure somebody with an addiction or a mental illness or an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2022 9:36 AM

Karen was not anorexic, girl was just simply pooped.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2022 10:00 AM

[quote] I would bet the farm I don't own that Richard was both fucking her, and fucking with her.

Was Karen molested? The truth would have been too shocking to America in the 70s. We may not learn the truth until Richard passes.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2022 10:01 AM

Such a disappointment.

I told her, I says, "Karen...ya eat that tossed salad and it'll go straight to your thighs."

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2022 10:01 AM

FRAU ALERT AT R15!

MAN BATTLESTATIONS!

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2022 10:18 AM

She was pooped and puked!

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2022 5:28 PM

Fat!

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2022 5:35 PM

If Mama Cass had given her the ham sandwich, they'd BOTH be alive today!

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2022 5:41 PM

She looks truly horrible in that interview. It's nothing less than heartbreaking.

Having said that, I have to admit her look takes me to this - one of my favorite descriptions in the DL repertoire:

A poster stating that Armie Hammer's wife is "now just gristle clinging to bone powder."

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2022 6:03 PM

Looking at R12 it's truly difficult to believe she was only 31!

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2022 6:42 PM

Karen’s husband looked like her brother’s twin.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2022 7:43 PM

R23 oops I forgot to link photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2022 7:44 PM

I think she looks GREAT!

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2022 8:13 PM

Publicly saying something just puts the anorexic person further on guard and heightens the secrecy already characteristic of the disease. Look how angry she is when the British interviewer asks her about anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2022 8:19 PM

I really don’t think she was ever sexually abused.

It was more psychological abuse and favoritism toward Richard. Her family never showed her that they loved her even when she was the breakout star.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2022 8:22 PM

Anorexia—what causes it and how to cure it—is still not well understood, which is strange for a serious fatal illness. Is is purely psychological? What trips the right wire in the brain? Etc.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2022 8:25 PM

R24 unsurprisingly her husband has gay face for days

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2022 10:19 PM

Her husband resembles a young Miss Lindsay @R24

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2022 10:20 PM

Richard seems so controlling in that interview. Cutting them both off so the genius can speak.

Her voice is my favorite of all time.

k.d. lang is right up there, too.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2022 10:27 PM

They had a toxic relationship, if she had lived she would have had to break away from him to have her own career. In that GMA interview she looks angry and a little deranged.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2022 10:39 PM

It’s really too bad she married grifter trash. If she’d found a caring husband she might have turned things around. She could have gotten more distance from her family.

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2022 10:50 PM

[quote]If Mama Cass had given her the ham sandwich, they'd BOTH be alive today!

PLEASE stop W&Wing this old chestnut.

by Anonymousreply 34January 9, 2022 12:33 AM

What is this breakneck grueling schedule they're talking about? They had been corny and passe' for years, as Disco was sweeping the nation. Were they playing county fairs?

She mentions 'Olivia' like she's her spouse.

Such jaw-dropping denial. Lots of skeletons in the Capenter's closet...

by Anonymousreply 35January 9, 2022 2:31 AM

"... in that GMA interview she looks angry and a little deranged."

Her new album was to be called "Electrolytes".

by Anonymousreply 36January 9, 2022 2:33 AM

Wow, I don't think I had ever seen that - scary. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 37January 9, 2022 2:36 AM

Karen’s disco track was wonderful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 9, 2022 2:48 AM

Was Karen a closeted lesbian in love with Olivia? Is that why she married a closeted gay man?

by Anonymousreply 39January 9, 2022 2:53 AM

Thanks for that clip, R12, never saw that before. They actually made her redo the interview to omit the anorexia questions, amazing.

But I must say, Richard looked kind of hot there.

by Anonymousreply 40January 9, 2022 2:58 AM

I think Karen was just starved for human kindness and friendship. I think she was in love with the loser she married until she found out his game.

by Anonymousreply 41January 9, 2022 3:18 AM

[quote] Was Karen a closeted lesbian in love with Olivia?

Yes, Karen had secrets and I believe Olivia knew them all. I admire that Olivia chose not to publicize their friendship.

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2022 3:26 AM

She finally reached her target weight in July 1983.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2022 3:45 AM

[quote]Karen’s disco track was wonderful

oh please, it's like disco for 80-year-olds.

I'm sorry but I'll never understand their appeal. They're like the musical equivalent of your grandmother's needlepoint.

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2022 3:52 AM

R44 = blocked.

This deserved to be a hit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2022 4:05 AM

Unfortunately, her mind kept changing her body.

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2022 4:12 AM

She was offered “rock with you” when she was recording her solo album but turned it down. She went to a recording session when Michael Jackson was cutting the song and said she could never make that song as great as MJ did.

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2022 4:17 AM

Karen figured out before the wedding that her fiance was a conman. He even lied to her about starting a family and then she found out he had a vasectomy. But battle axe Agnes insisted the wedding had to take place because People magazine was doing a spread.

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2022 4:17 AM

R48 that's so sad! What type of conman was he and what was his game? Was he after her money or her fame? Was he really secretly gay? If he was after her money, why the vasectomy? Or did he already have it before they met? Why did Karen fall for him? There had to be many thousands of wonderful men who would have really loved her. Why did she choose this creep?

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2022 4:21 AM

A new book about the Carpenters came out at the end of the last year. It’s really just a big compendium of information and facts about each album and single released and about them touring. Richard cooperated extensively and comes off as the most insufferable, hotheaded asshole who I wouldn’t want to be in a room with for more then five minutes before stabbing him. There’s also a lot about the record company as well, they really saved A&R records, but seem to be despised by them at the same time. They really worked them to death with the touring, it’s amazing they got as far as they did before imploding or burning out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2022 4:22 AM

I recently finished reading her biography, Little Girl Blue. There was a LOT of strangeness in that family. She dated her husband for two months before they became engaged. Apparently, he claimed he didn't know she was a celebrity (red flag). Right before the wedding, she found out he had a vasectomy (she told him she wanted to have children). After finding out, she broke up with him, but her mom forced her to go through with the wedding. He constantly borrowed money from her, and a friend said she once saw Karen with bruises on her, implying that the husband was beating her. It wasn't until one of his cars got repossessed that Karen finally moved out.

It's mentioned that while Karen was being hospitalized (feeding tube), she would call her parents' house. The mom would always answer the phone and would not let the dad talk with Karen. Karen's mom was very against the idea of Karen moving out, and when Karen expressed the idea, Agnes flipped out, referring to Karen as a "traitor." Later on, Karen started living with a boyfriend for a brief time. Of course, when this was revealed to her mom, she flipped out about her daughter living with a man out of wedlock.

The book mentions that Richard began dating their 18-year-old first cousin (now his wife) and how no one in the family thought that was weird except Karen. (I don't remember if the book states if the cousin was biological or adopted.)

Karen seemed to have idolized her brother. When she went to make her solo album, she felt the need to ask him for permission first. And after she had finished the album, she again needed his approval. And he told her it was shit and that she stole the Carpenters' sound. The album (good or not) was Karen's attempt at independence from Richard. The album wasn't released until years after Karen had died.

by Anonymousreply 51January 9, 2022 4:29 AM

From Phil Ramone's "Making Records":

[quote] The reception that Karen’s album received from her brother Richard and the executives at A&M Records was cooler than expected. The pessimism of the executives won out, and Karen decided to shelve the album. A year or so after we finished her solo album, Karen called me at home. She and Richard had signed a new deal with A&M Records earlier in the day, and she was happy about going back to work. “We’ll be making a new Carpenters album,” she said, “And I just wanted to tell you how much I love you.” Then she lowered her voice. “I hope you don’t mind if I curse. I still love our fucking record!”. In the morning she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 52January 9, 2022 4:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53January 9, 2022 4:57 AM

I always thought she looked beautiful in this video of her singing with Perry Como in 1974. Hard to believe that just 7 years later she does that GMA interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 9, 2022 5:23 AM

I don't know where they thought they were going in showbiz. An aging brother and sister act that made Debby Boone sound edgy. There was Disco, then Punk, then New Wave, then HipHop, then Grunge, then the Disney brats...

Actually Karen might have had a comeback with Grunge. Music as dreary as a rainy winter day in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2022 5:30 AM

I definitely get sad hearing their songs.

by Anonymousreply 56January 9, 2022 5:33 AM

Here's a rare, early recording of Karen singing a duet. Very different to the stuff she would later do with her brother. The lyrics are a bit eerie/melancholy when considering what happened to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 9, 2022 5:46 AM

[quote] don't know where they thought they were going in showbiz.

Didn't Linda Ronstadt go through a period of doing standards?

That could've been one route for them. They had already done stuff like When I Fall in Live, Little Boy Blue and I Can Dream Can't I.

by Anonymousreply 58January 9, 2022 10:45 AM

^^ "Live" should be "Love" obviously ^^

by Anonymousreply 59January 9, 2022 10:47 AM

I think it's a misguided control freak issue. What causes it can be multi faceted.

by Anonymousreply 60January 9, 2022 10:59 AM

Didn't Las Vegas call?

by Anonymousreply 61January 9, 2022 11:10 AM

"Lots of skeletons in the Carpenter's closet..."

Yes.

And near the end, one of them was Karen...

by Anonymousreply 62January 9, 2022 11:56 AM

[quote] I don't know where they thought they were going in showbiz.

They could've gone the theme song route: Family Ties, Growing Pains, The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 63January 9, 2022 12:24 PM

She looks like Lady Tremain from Cinderella in that interview.

by Anonymousreply 64January 9, 2022 12:41 PM

R55 they weren’t hip. Then, as now, not everyone likes hip. Your mom listened to their record (and so did you when you thought nobody was looking.)

by Anonymousreply 65January 9, 2022 12:45 PM

R61 They did many annual residencies for two to three weeks in Vegas. At first they were the opening act for the oldie performers, but quickly segued into being the main act which created much tension with other performers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 9, 2022 1:25 PM

Joan Lunden probably didn't ask any weight questions because she looked like Chrissy Metz next to Karen.

by Anonymousreply 67January 9, 2022 1:49 PM

if dionne warwick and others like her could and did make a comeback in the early to mid 80's, then surely the carpenters could of as well, although i think it would take some great songs and outside help away from richard to make that happen..

the creep husband tom burris has long since remarried and yes to a woman....

getting back to that 1981 GMA interview, karen actually is pretty funny and intelligent with the jokes and comments.....she had a wonderful speaking voice as well....

by Anonymousreply 68January 9, 2022 2:01 PM

If you want to know what the Carpenters would have sounded like in the 80's, listen to Richard's Time album, which had a minor Adult Contemporary hit with Dusty Springfield singing the lead.

[quote]Yes, Karen had secrets and I believe Olivia knew them all. I admire that Olivia chose not to publicize their friendship.

I believe this too. She supposedly didn't like Richard at all.

by Anonymousreply 69January 9, 2022 2:14 PM

I've read that Richard was mentally and physically abusive to her, and there are moments in this interview where she's speaking and he's looking at her as if to say, "You better not fuck up or you're gonna pay."

by Anonymousreply 70January 9, 2022 2:22 PM

R2 Anorexics hide their emaciated bodies with baggy clothes, ruffles etc. That way they don’t have to deal with concerned friends and relatives going on about how skinny they are. Karen’s neck is hidden behind a high ruffly collar here by design.

by Anonymousreply 71January 9, 2022 3:15 PM

Imagine your family hating whatever you do, no matter what you do.

by Anonymousreply 72January 9, 2022 3:51 PM

[quote] Anorexics hide their emaciated bodies with baggy clothes, ruffles etc. That way they don’t have to deal with concerned friends and relatives going on about how skinny they are. Karen’s neck is hidden behind a high ruffly collar here by design.

Some even go further and wear a fat suit and prosthetics. At least that's what I do.

by Anonymousreply 73January 9, 2022 4:25 PM

The thing that I always remember about the Carpenter family dynamic was when they were in family therapy for Karen's anorexia. The therapist urged the family to tell Karen that they loved her. Richard was the only one who immediately said 'I love you.' Agnes said, "she knows we love her" and then refused to do it. That woman was a cold-hearted bitch. Maybe she was one of those women who viewed her daughter as competition from the males in the family? I think Karen hated herself and that's why she refused to nourish herself.

I looked at Richard's wikipedia. It states that his wife is his first cousin "adopted, no blood relation." SICK. They were still raised as family, you don't fuck your family, Richard. That's almost as bad as that actress whose parents were brother and (adopted) sister.

by Anonymousreply 74January 9, 2022 5:20 PM

Here she is singing "Touch Me When We're Dancing" in 1981. She usually sang flawlessly live, but in this performance, she struggles with the song in places.I also can't help but notice the sadness in her eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 9, 2022 5:44 PM

[quote] Imagine your family hating whatever you do, no matter what you do.

Don't really have to imagine that, unfortunately. No doubt one of the many reasons I feel such sympathy for Karen.

by Anonymousreply 76January 9, 2022 9:29 PM

I LOVE Touch Me When We're Dancing. Wish it had done better on the charts.

by Anonymousreply 77January 9, 2022 10:27 PM

R77 I just listened to it. I didn’t enjoy it at all.

by Anonymousreply 78January 9, 2022 10:32 PM

When Karen and Richard, well into adulthood and mega-fame, finally moved out of their parents home, the two of them moved into the same house, where they each had their own living quarters. There were some co-dependency or control issues going on there.

by Anonymousreply 79January 9, 2022 10:37 PM

Karen and Richard were lifelong lovers

by Anonymousreply 80January 9, 2022 10:41 PM

Anorexia also makes people exhausted and she looked tired.

by Anonymousreply 81January 9, 2022 10:49 PM

I bed Richard suffered when Karen was too weak to fuck

by Anonymousreply 82January 9, 2022 10:51 PM

IIRC, a journalist wrote that Karen was "chubby" and that was all it took to drive her to mental illness-anorexia. She had very wide hips and no amount of starvation could change that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83January 9, 2022 11:05 PM

Hugs, R76.

by Anonymousreply 84January 9, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote]Anorexia also makes people exhausted and she looked tired.

Karen herself said it best: she was pooped!

by Anonymousreply 85January 10, 2022 1:55 AM

R85 laxatives will make you pooped

by Anonymousreply 86January 10, 2022 1:57 AM

The mind still staggers that they originally talked about casting her as Sandy in "Grease."

by Anonymousreply 87January 10, 2022 1:58 AM

R87 Frenchie the 'Beauty Queen Dropout' would have suited her better

by Anonymousreply 88January 10, 2022 2:05 AM

Tell me about, Stud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 10, 2022 2:07 AM

Speaking of Grease, were they lezing it up in this picture?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 10, 2022 2:39 AM

R77, wasn't "Touch Me When We're Dancing" their only top 20 hit of the Eighties? I knew they were popular in the Seventies, but I didn't realize how much. Apparently only Elton John, the Bee Gees and Paul McCartney had more hit singles in that decade.

I loved their trio of Leon Russell songs...Superstar, A Song For You and This Masquerade.

by Anonymousreply 91January 10, 2022 2:50 AM

I believe so, R91.

by Anonymousreply 92January 10, 2022 2:58 AM

R91.. the carpenters were actually the top U.S. hitmakers of the 1970s

their single "touch me when were dancing" from their last album "made in america" that was released before Karen passed, reached #16 on the adult contemporary and was their last top 20 hit...it was considered somewhat of a comeback since they had not made a album (besides the christmas albums) in 4 years and had not toured in a few years as well...

richard to this day claims that the song was on it's way to the top 10 on the billboard chart, but because they were not considered "hip" they faced backlash from radio stations who even if they created the greatest pop song ever by the early 1980's they would NOT play the carpenters. and didn't want them to have too much success...Don't know how true this is? I mean people like dionne warwick and gladys knight and others regain popularity on at least the adult contemporary radio stations and charts, during this time, and i don't think they were considered "hip and cool" by radio stations and the powers that be?...

by Anonymousreply 93January 10, 2022 3:00 AM

That R75 clip is so sad and disturbing.

Surely there are people on this board that watched those 1981 interviews and performances live. Was it rumored she had cancer, or had a drug problem? Did these appearances even make the news?

My generation was shocked by Whitney's September 2001 performance, and it was front page news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 10, 2022 3:12 AM

Richard, ready for a night of cruising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 10, 2022 6:14 AM

Love this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 10, 2022 7:06 AM

Richard wanted them to be young, thin and gorgeous forever- selling out arenas. They weren't that kind of group. And the more frustrated he became the more he nagged Karen about her looks.

In no way should she have been on stage or doing interviews looking like that. He's literally insane.

by Anonymousreply 97January 10, 2022 7:59 AM

Too bad Karen never got to meet a Joan Jett or her friend Bebe Buell. They would have cured her of her “neurosis”.

by Anonymousreply 98January 10, 2022 10:18 AM

Agnes seems like the kind of mother who shames her daughter into losing weight.

by Anonymousreply 99January 10, 2022 10:39 AM

In middle school (mid-1990's), our health class had to watch The Karen Carpenter story as part of a lesson on eating disorders. It was actually well done, but as a 12 year old boy I still joined my friends in making jokes throughout it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 10, 2022 10:48 AM

What were Kristy MacNichol’s comments after Karen died?

by Anonymousreply 101January 10, 2022 10:49 AM

[quote]There’s also a lot about the record company as well, they really saved A&R records, but seem to be despised by them at the same time.

You can imagine record company sitting around a table moaning how the music sucks, but hey, it pays the bills.

I didn't see it mentioned, but there is a notorious interview Richard did with NPR/Terry Gross in which she asks him about their sound, being labeled "uncool", and Richard does not take it well. at. all. You might've thought he had some perspective, could make a joke like "he, Terry (bitch), we were the top selling artists of our day" (or something like that). Apparently Richard fancied himself this genius producer, when most people feel that his producing was the equivalent of dumping ranch dressing all over Karen's beautiful vocals.

by Anonymousreply 102January 10, 2022 11:58 AM

"Agnes seems like the kind of mother who shames her daughter into losing weight."

If only that was all...

by Anonymousreply 103January 10, 2022 2:06 PM

I really love that film Todd Haynes made about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 10, 2022 5:43 PM

Performing Dancing in the Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 10, 2022 8:34 PM

That was great, r105.

by Anonymousreply 106January 10, 2022 8:51 PM

I don't understand the renewed love for the Carpenters that some people (many on Datalounge) have comes from. The Carpenters may have had a string of hits but they were in their time considered a joke. The music they made was the blandest of the bland, lame MOR. But I guess there is always an audience for that kind of thing.

Richard and Karen were both conservative people. They hated the flamboyant glitter rockers of the era. One of them, I can't remember which one, called Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople "that thing with the boots and the shades." They performed for Nixon at the White House and he called them "American youth at its finest!" They would go on to be a pill addict and an anorexic who would die of the disease.

by Anonymousreply 107January 10, 2022 8:52 PM

"They wanted me to play Sandy in the movie Grease but Richard said no. He said it didn't mesh with our wholesome image, and besides I was too fat... So I swallowed a whole box of Ex Lax. Even though I was pooped at the time, I never pooped again"

by Anonymousreply 108January 10, 2022 9:18 PM

I always get into The Carpenters this time of year. I play their Christmas albums throughout December and once it's over, I start listening to them again.

by Anonymousreply 109January 10, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote] I don't understand the renewed love for the Carpenters that some people (many on Datalounge) have comes from.

Their songs are very relatable: a blossoming romance (Top of the World, Close to You, We've Only Just Begun), a troubled romance (Hurting Each Other), a misstep (It's Going To Take Some Time), and who the fuck can't relate to Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down

by Anonymousreply 110January 10, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote] Their songs are very relatable: a blossoming romance (Top of the World, Close to You, We've Only Just Begun), a troubled romance (Hurting Each Other), a misstep (It's Going To Take Some Time), and who the fuck can't relate to Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down.

They're BLAND. And treacly. I hated most of the songs you mentioned; sugary pop pap makes me ill. But I will admit I actually did like a few of their songs. "Superstar", "Rainy Days and Mondays" and "Goodbye To Love" all suited Karen Carpenter's mournful, depressed vocals perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 111January 10, 2022 9:29 PM

I remember seeing her as a kid performing on a TV special around 1978 or 1979. I don't think it was that stupid "Space Encounters" thing they did, it was something else. But I was shocked at how thin she was. I thought she had cancer, and I got the impression that she was going to die soon.

by Anonymousreply 112January 10, 2022 9:34 PM

[quote] I don't understand the renewed love for the Carpenters that some people (many on Datalounge) have comes from. The Carpenters may have had a string of hits but they were in their time considered a joke. The music they made was the blandest of the bland, lame MOR. But I guess there is always an audience for that kind of thing.

The mere fact that they had a big string of hits proves that they weren't considered a joke by a large swath of the listening public.

Even though it was all a bit saccharine in tone, there was genuine quality there...in the compositions, the arrangements, the production, and the performance. Also there was a decent amount of variety within that string of hits; each one wasn't a carbon copy of the last, unlike their fellow 70's schlockmeister Barry Manilow. A lot of people might not have liked what they did, but they usually did it very well.

I think maybe a lot of people like me grew up as kids hearing them on AM top 40 radio, whether we wanted to or not. And since their music was true "adult contemporary" it translated well into our adult years.

Also people always love you more after you're dead. Especially if you die young and tragically.

by Anonymousreply 113January 10, 2022 9:45 PM

Perry Como is a hot daddy in R54.

by Anonymousreply 114January 10, 2022 9:45 PM

From This Moment On.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 10, 2022 10:38 PM

[quote] I think maybe a lot of people like me grew up as kids hearing them on AM top 40 radio, whether we wanted to or not.

This is so true.

by Anonymousreply 116January 10, 2022 10:59 PM

"The mere fact that they had a big string of hits proves that they weren't considered a joke by a large swath of the listening public."

Oh, they had their fan base. But the Carpenters were considered to be SO uncool. And they certainly were. They were about as uncool as you could get.

by Anonymousreply 117January 10, 2022 11:05 PM

Any stories of cuntery from either Richard or Karen?

by Anonymousreply 118January 10, 2022 11:07 PM

[quote] Oh, they had their fan base. But the Carpenters were considered to be SO uncool. And they certainly were. They were about as uncool as you could get.

You'll get no argument from me on that. In those days, an artist was either on the right side of the so-called "Generation Gap", or on the wrong side. If you threw in with the old farts, like the Carpenters did, you got no respect from your own generation.

I just think that as people from that era grew up, a lot of us realized how unimportant image and "the cool factor" is when it comes to the actual quality of the music.

John Denver was similarly seen as uncool, then he tragically croaked, and suddenly everybody loves "Rocky Mountain High" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads". They forget what a hopeless dork he came off as...which is a good thing, because he actually was a huge talent and made some very good music, for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 119January 10, 2022 11:20 PM

I think the Carpenters had a built in nostalgia factor from the beginning that was embraced by many during one of the most turbulent periods in history. They were a safe space to gravitate to for many, the Captain and Tennile served very much the same purpose, married edition.

by Anonymousreply 120January 10, 2022 11:26 PM

I'm with R111 in liking some of their songs (including the ones he mentioned) and very much disliking others, especially the perky ones like Sing and Top of the World. But I like many of the sad ones and some of the others (Hurting Each Other, We've Only Just Begun, For All We Know).

Re her illness, I don't know how to link to them but if you Google 'Karen Carpenter Emmylou Harris', images come up of them at the Grammys around 1977. The contrast in the two women is striking - Emmylou looks gorgeous and healthy and Karen is just so emaciated.

by Anonymousreply 121January 10, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote]The Carpenters may have had a string of hits but they were in their time considered a joke.

So was ABBA. Time can change some perspectives.

by Anonymousreply 122January 10, 2022 11:41 PM

Last press junket....Merv Griffin....Also on Mervs couch : Travolta and Olivia Newton John.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 10, 2022 11:57 PM

They re-recorded "Merry Christmas Darling" seven years later because Karen (Richard?) felt the original vocals were too "low" (too lezzie?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 10, 2022 11:59 PM

Olivia talking about Karen in her autobiography:

[quote]I still miss Karen a lot to this day. She and I became friends immediately. I was drawn to her terrific sense of humour and, of course, her extraordinary talent. She was quirky and fun, and we really enjoyed each other’s company.

[quote]Karen’s lush voice was truly astonishing and reached the depths of my heart. We talked about what she wanted for her life and what I wanted from mine. No topic was off limits.

[quote]She got married and it sadly ended fourteen months later. That’s when the anorexia really hit her hard. She became so thin it was frightening, but she still mustered the guts to divorce her husband, break out on her own and move to New York for treatment. I was so proud of strong and determined Karen.

[quote]I truly believed that she was on the road to recovery. She had the most gorgeous townhouse she was putting the finishing touches on. She adored anything Disney, so her house was full of all whimsical things, and beautifully done.

[quote]The last time I saw her, we were both staying at the Drake Hotel in New York and she looked so much better. She had gained some weight and was bouncing back, shopping, laughing and doing all the things she used to do. It was one of those moments where you sigh with relief, and I truly believed that the crisis had passed.

[quote]I was in Los Angeles, listening to my car radio on the way to a restaurant for a lunch meeting with Pat, when I heard that Karen had died. It was as if the sky fell to earth. My stomach hit the ground. This couldn’t be possible. I had a date to see her [italic]the very next day[/italic].

[quote]Devastated, I arrived at the restaurant and cried all the way through our lunch. Pat tried to comfort me, but I was inconsolable. Karen was so young and full of hope and promise.

[quote]Karen Carpenter’s death was a great loss, not only to her friends and family, but also to everyone graced with her gorgeous voice. We will never know what she could have done artistically, which was sad for everyone around the globe. She was bursting with talent and creativity, but that was only part of it. She was also a kind and authentic human being.

[quote]I’ve always wanted to respect Karen’s privacy and I know that her struggle was a hard one. Perhaps there can be a positive from such a terrible tragedy: her death marked the beginning of raising awareness about anorexia and body image. Little did I know that later in my life, I’d be confronted with this insidious illness with my own daughter.

[quote]Karen shined a bright light on anorexia, which allowed so many others to heal, including my own Chloe. Karen never got a chance to tell her story, but I’m so proud of my daughter who is working on telling her own.

[quote]We have Karen to thank for all the lives that have been saved after women and men found treatment and acceptance from their families and society.

[quote]One thing remains: I still miss my friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 11, 2022 12:02 AM

[quote] Karen shined a bright light on anorexia, which allowed so many others to heal.

What? During her lifetime she vehemently denied having a problem. She went to her grave denying she has any kind of eating disorder. She never "shined a bright light" on anything, unless you believe her death was the catalyst for anorexia to be taken seriously. Olivia Newton John sure is giving her a lot of credit that she doesn't deserve, like she was some kind of savior for anorexics or something.

by Anonymousreply 126January 11, 2022 12:12 AM

[quote]unless you believe her death was the catalyst for anorexia to be taken seriously

I guess that was her point.

by Anonymousreply 127January 11, 2022 12:25 AM

R126.. privately, karen DID admit towards the end she had a problem, she just wasn't ready to do so publicly, but if she had lived I think she would have....

by Anonymousreply 128January 11, 2022 12:36 AM

[quote] I was in Los Angeles, listening to my car radio on the way to a restaurant for a lunch meeting with Pa

Who's Pat?

by Anonymousreply 129January 11, 2022 12:38 AM

Pat Farrar, her friend and partner in Koala Blue.

by Anonymousreply 130January 11, 2022 12:40 AM

You have to want to get better to get better.

Karen never got further than denial. Yes, her mom was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 131January 11, 2022 12:43 AM

How could GMA allow her to go on the air with TWO sets of eyebrows?

That is so bizarre.

She looked like a crazy drunk.

by Anonymousreply 132January 11, 2022 1:08 AM

Thanks r125. That was beautiful.

I think a lot of gay men can relate to Karen. She tried so hard to live up to everyone else’s standards that she suffered in silence and never found someone to love her the way she deserved to be loved. A lot of us can sympathize with that.

by Anonymousreply 133January 11, 2022 1:08 AM

R132 it is strange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134January 11, 2022 1:11 AM

Here is the song, "Road Ode." Written about the weariness of touring, they performed various concerts from 1971–75, with 203 shows in 1974.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 11, 2022 1:44 AM

R11

You are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 136January 11, 2022 3:03 AM

Just before we aired, I told Karen she looked a bit bloated and could afford to lose a few.

by Anonymousreply 137January 11, 2022 3:06 AM

I remember seeing photos of Karen Carpenter where she's mugging for the camera next to Richard, whose face remains impassive. I think it was from a photoshoot for the Rolling Stone; one of the photos ended up on the cover. What was the photographer thinking when he took those pictures? That they were cute and funny? They weren't. They made her look retarded.

by Anonymousreply 138January 11, 2022 3:10 AM

Since R138 has decided to NOT present a picture for reference, here it is...from 1974.

Their big hit that year was a cover of the Marvelettes "Please Mr. Postman".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 11, 2022 4:25 AM

Karen was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with Karen's struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 140January 11, 2022 5:14 AM

I always found it odd that for an act that was SO identified with ballads, two of their three number one songs were not ballads.

by Anonymousreply 141January 11, 2022 5:18 AM

"Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with Karen's struggles and she theirs."

What makes you think she had a "good heart?" I never heard of any indication that she had one. And she "identified" with the "struggles" of "gay people?" What the hell kind of La-La Land are you living in? I never heard anywhere that she had any fondness in her heart for gays whatsoever. And no, she wasn't gay herself. She was just unlucky in love. The guy she married was a total loser dickhead. She must have been really desperate to be married to tie the knot with that creep.

by Anonymousreply 142January 11, 2022 5:20 AM

She was the best advertisement we ever had...and the worst advertisement we ever had...

by Anonymousreply 143January 11, 2022 5:20 AM

She could have lost a few more pounds.

by Anonymousreply 144January 11, 2022 5:31 AM

Agnes was Richard's number one fan and I think she hated Karen for becoming the star.

by Anonymousreply 145January 11, 2022 6:01 AM

R142... karen was KNOWN throughout the industry as having a "good heart".... her friends and colleagues all agree to this...

she was one of those friends who would do anything for you types.....perhaps TOO much to the detriment of her own life, choices and wishes...

by Anonymousreply 146January 11, 2022 1:57 PM

[quote] karen was KNOWN throughout the industry as having a "good heart".... her friends and colleagues all agree to this...

Of course, they all said that after she died. What did you expect them to say.

by Anonymousreply 147January 11, 2022 2:03 PM

R147... oh brother, whatever.....

by Anonymousreply 148January 11, 2022 2:12 PM

I always thought Richard was cute, but now I find him very creepy.

by Anonymousreply 149January 11, 2022 3:13 PM

Weird that she died in that bedroom in her parents' house- after moving away, buying homes, getting married, etc. Right back where she started.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 11, 2022 3:27 PM

Karen was happiest playing the drums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 11, 2022 3:28 PM

How could Karen identify with the struggles of gay people?

She had no problem in refusing food, whereas.....well, you know.....

FAT WHORES!

by Anonymousreply 152January 11, 2022 3:33 PM

[quote]Karen was happiest playing the drums.

Karen was happiest flicking a clit with her tongue.

by Anonymousreply 153January 11, 2022 3:43 PM

That poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 154January 11, 2022 4:23 PM

People looked older in those days, and the early 80s fashions didn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 155January 11, 2022 4:24 PM

In fairness to Richard, I thought most of the songs that Phil Ramone got Karen to record for her solo album were either crap or unsuited for her.

Richard’s arrangements suited Karen perfectly. The problem was mostly the material. Richard and John Bettis had written great songs that were perfect for Karen in the 70s (including hits such as Only Yesterday, Goodbye to Love, Top Of The World) and Richard also managed to find songs by other composers that fit The Carpenters 70s sound perfectly.

By the late 70s, Richard’s original output had dwindled and the song selections for each album after the excellent “Horizon” were not great. Their one 80s album before Karen died (Made In America) was atrocious.

I did enjoy “Lovelines” which was released after Karen’s death. It included the four best tracks from her solo album, plus unreleased material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 11, 2022 4:24 PM

[quote]Weird that she died in that bedroom in her parents' house

She was found in the kitchen according to the findadeath story linked above.

by Anonymousreply 157January 11, 2022 4:26 PM

[quote]She was found in the kitchen according to the findadeath story linked above.

Ironically, it was the only time she'd ever been there.

by Anonymousreply 158January 11, 2022 4:39 PM

Wrong, she died in her walk in closet.

by Anonymousreply 159January 11, 2022 4:45 PM

In fairness, she'd spent most of her life in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 160January 11, 2022 4:46 PM

Re: the eyebrows, I think this is very poor execution of a “cut crease” eyeshadow technique which is used to make eyes look bigger and brighter. Usually you don’t end up with 2 sets of eyebrows.

And also r140 was making a long running dl joke. It was originally a quote someone or another said about Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 161January 11, 2022 5:25 PM

Wasn't it originally a reply to Judy "Pills" Garland?

by Anonymousreply 162January 11, 2022 5:36 PM

House tour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 11, 2022 5:54 PM

Karen's mother Agnes Carpenter was a fire-breathing cunt who openly favored Richard, made no secret that he was her favorite child, and was always critical of Karen. Karen could never do anything right and Richard was perfect. That did a lot of damage to Karen.

by Anonymousreply 164January 11, 2022 6:12 PM

I think if Karen had lived she could've had a resurgence in the second half of the 80s when the adult contemporary sound became huge, either as a solo artist or with Richard. Bette Midler and Rod Stewart revived their careers with that sound and you also had Gloria Estefan and Michael Bolton. Yes, the music was total MOR but it would've been a perfect fit for Karen.

by Anonymousreply 165January 11, 2022 6:29 PM

R95--Hmmm "LOADING ONLY" sign in the background--Richard was a bossy bottom or a total top?

by Anonymousreply 166January 11, 2022 7:37 PM

I can easily hear Karen singing "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "From A Distance."

by Anonymousreply 167January 11, 2022 7:42 PM

Karen should have moved out of her parents' house when she made her first million and not looked back. If Richard didn't like it, she could have gotten someone else to write and arrange her songs. She was the star of the Carpenters, not her brother. The problem was that she could never break out of the toxic patterns her family established when she was young.

A lot of anorexics are emotionally stunted, and Karen was no exception.

by Anonymousreply 168January 11, 2022 7:43 PM

[quote] I always thought Richard was cute, but now I find him very creepy.

He looked attractive in every fourth or fifth photo.

by Anonymousreply 169January 11, 2022 9:11 PM

Trading in one lesbian for another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 11, 2022 9:28 PM

Karen and Phil Ramone were a bad pairing for her solo outing.

Karen should have gone to Peter Asher and used Linda Ronstadt’s backing musicians. It could have been Karen in roller skates 🛼 in 1978!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 11, 2022 9:28 PM

Karen's sad family dynamics remind me of Whitney's. Extraordinarily talented closeted lesbians growing in hostile families, forced into being musical "Sweethearts" of the MOR pop music world, unhappy marriages, and early self-destruction and death.

by Anonymousreply 172January 11, 2022 9:34 PM

Time for a commercial break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173January 11, 2022 9:42 PM

Japanese chocolate ad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174January 11, 2022 9:44 PM

I’m not ashamed to admit on an anonymous message board that I had this poster on my wall as a kid! I was a wholesome gayling once upon a time.

I thought Richard showing a bit of chest hair was hot at the time. Karen looked healthy in this photo too, and her blouse accentuated a pair of nice titties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 11, 2022 9:48 PM

The Carpenters did an episode of This is Your Life right after hit it big. Anges and Harold come out around 16:20

The body language between Anges and both Karen and Richard is cold and visibly awkward, and then there's a bizarre moment where Agnes gives Karen her catchers mit and hat from when she played softball as a kid. It seems very passive aggressive, and you can tell Karen was not happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 11, 2022 9:50 PM

[quote] Agnes gives Karen her catchers mit and hat from when she played softball as a kid.

Softball? An OGT (Obviously Gay Trait). Karen was Family, no question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177January 11, 2022 9:54 PM

R-64 misogyny has many tentacles, and the patriarchy seek to set women against their own.

Sounds like embittered Agnes resented the power and wealth (and the corollary of freedom) her daughter acquired through talent and fame, while hating her own enslaved and probably miserable womanhood, and so sought to sabotage.

by Anonymousreply 178January 11, 2022 9:59 PM

That's a hard living 61-year-old truck stop lot lizard 31-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 179January 11, 2022 10:16 PM

Harold passed on Richard's 42nd birthday.

Agnes, while I'm sure deeply saddened by the loss, probably cursed him under her breath for ruining her perfect little baby boy's "special day."

by Anonymousreply 180January 11, 2022 10:20 PM

Funny how huge Linda Ronstadt was back then, but she's half-forgotten now.

by Anonymousreply 181January 11, 2022 11:34 PM

r172 that is true. Whitney also had an overbearing family that was a total pain in the ass and caused her a lot of problems.

by Anonymousreply 182January 11, 2022 11:35 PM

I always disliked that photo at R175.Richard looks angry; Karen looks depressed, head head hanging down, her uncombed hair hanging in her face. It's a strange picture.

by Anonymousreply 183January 11, 2022 11:44 PM

They need to bring that show (This Is Your Life) back.

by Anonymousreply 184January 12, 2022 1:33 AM

I wish Karen had done a duet with David Gates from the group Bread. The two groups had parallel careers (Make It With You knocked out Close To You from the number one spot in 1970), and their voices would've sounded great together on songs like "If" or "It Don't Matter To Me".

by Anonymousreply 185January 12, 2022 1:38 AM

A simple multi-vitamin would have added years to Karen's life. The straw-like hair was proof she was lacking essential nutrients.

by Anonymousreply 186January 12, 2022 1:50 AM

[quote] They need to bring that show (This Is Your Life) back.

Sid Caesar and company did a brilliant parody of that embarrassing show. Carl Reiner was the host of "This Is Your Story" and when he tells Al Duncy (Caesar), who is an unsuspecting member of the audience, that it's his life they'll be showcasing he first faints in shock, then attempts to flee. It's one of the greatest comedy skits from "Your Show Of Shows."

by Anonymousreply 187January 12, 2022 2:13 AM

R176 Richard is such an asshole talking about how much he hated the music to "Merry Christmas Darling" -- to the composer-- and how he made it so much better.

by Anonymousreply 188January 12, 2022 2:29 AM

I always thought those big shoulder pads were popular in the mid-80s. Was Karen actually setting fashion trends?

by Anonymousreply 189January 12, 2022 2:43 AM

Karen's voice WAS the Carpenters. Not to belittle Richard's skill and hard work, but she delivered the goods. They were a package deal, but he must have picked up on the audience adulation of her, and not necessarily of his arranging and piano playing (and singing!), though he brought them up every chance he got. He probably dreaded losing control of her.

by Anonymousreply 190January 12, 2022 2:47 AM

He was definitely controlling of Karen and feared her going solo because he knew he was nothing without her.

The biography "Little Girl Blue" is very good, Karen had such an unhappy life. Karen Ramone (who has since died) was the wife of Phil Ramone and a close friend of Karen's. She was interviewed for the book and she didn't hold back at all. She hated Richard and Agnes and went into detail about how controlling and critical they were of Karen. She said it was a very sad situation.

by Anonymousreply 191January 12, 2022 2:58 AM

I think Karen was just fucking exhausted by Agnes and Richard and saw no escape and her body did her in as the only way to escape their clutches and get some god damn peace for once in her life.

by Anonymousreply 192January 12, 2022 3:00 AM

Olivia sings 'CLOSE TO YOU' live in Japan, 2003.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 12, 2022 3:02 AM

Karen at the end. Yikes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194January 12, 2022 3:10 AM

R193, that was sweet. I remember Petula Clark singing "For All We Know" a few days after Karen died.

by Anonymousreply 195January 12, 2022 3:11 AM

R194, that is a fake photo.

by Anonymousreply 196January 12, 2022 3:25 AM

Donna Summer performing Superstar with Richard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 12, 2022 3:27 AM

Incredibile performance by Donna in R197.

by Anonymousreply 198January 12, 2022 3:38 AM

r196 no it isn't fake, it's been published in many sources and in various Carpenters tv documentaries. This is the full photo, of Karen with Richard and Herb Alpert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199January 12, 2022 3:41 AM

#194, from all reports Karen had gained weight near the end and at least looked healthier. But years of dieting, abuse and sudden weight gain led to cardiac arrest.

I believe she and Richard wanted to stay the teen wundertwins 4-ever. That's when they 'peaked', and they could never mature or evolve. They didn't know how to grow up. The attachment to their parents is a red flag.

by Anonymousreply 200January 12, 2022 3:53 AM

[quote]They're BLAND. And treacly.

These are OPINIONS. And bad ones.

by Anonymousreply 201January 12, 2022 3:56 AM

Wrong, R199. the photo in R194 is quite different from the one in R199. It's clearly been edited.

by Anonymousreply 202January 12, 2022 4:01 AM

It hasn't been edited, it's just a close up. I vividly remember this photo from Behind the Music.

God, you queens just don't quit.

by Anonymousreply 203January 12, 2022 4:07 AM

Richard was not to blame you vultures

by Anonymousreply 204January 12, 2022 4:07 AM

Do you guys think Richard married his cousin because he couldn't marry his sister?

by Anonymousreply 205January 12, 2022 4:10 AM

I don't care if the cousin was adopted and not a blood relation, that's still gross.

by Anonymousreply 206January 12, 2022 4:11 AM

I believe Richard's cousin was also quite a few years younger than him, she was just barely legal.

by Anonymousreply 207January 12, 2022 4:12 AM

It's not a close up, R203. Your photo was stretched vertically to make her look even thinner. It's obvious to anyone with photo editing experience.

by Anonymousreply 208January 12, 2022 4:17 AM

It’s not like we have sexual intercourse or anything.

by Anonymousreply 209January 12, 2022 4:18 AM

Another photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210January 12, 2022 4:19 AM

Same photo of Karen with Richard and Herb Alpert. Her face looks the same as the close up photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211January 12, 2022 4:21 AM

This was Karen about a month before she died, at her last public appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 12, 2022 4:21 AM

[quote] These are OPINIONS. And bad ones.

Nope. You're just a fan of bland and treacly and the Carpenters were the epitome of it.

by Anonymousreply 213January 12, 2022 4:27 AM

[quote]if dionne warwick and others like her could and did make a comeback in the early to mid 80's, then surely the carpenters could of as well, although i think it would take some great songs and outside help away from richard to make that happen.

ie, the Bee Gees. Did the Caroenters ever work with the Gibbs?

by Anonymousreply 214January 12, 2022 4:51 AM

[quote] When the Carpenters version became a hit, Bette Midler took some shots at Karen Carpenter, often mocking her wholesome image. Karen claimed the jokes didn't bother her; after her death, Midler apologized in Redbook magazine, saying she often thinks of Karen.

Talk about low-hanging fruit, Bette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 12, 2022 4:58 AM

I always thought that Richard Carpenter was gay. I was so surprised when he eventually got married!

by Anonymousreply 216January 12, 2022 5:19 AM

[quote] "Dust bunnies held together with White Rain."

And they still make that shit. We never used it, but I knew plenty of people who did. Even Suave was better!

by Anonymousreply 217January 12, 2022 5:37 AM

If the Carpenters were considered uncool, then... so what?

Like most people, I stopped caring about what was considered "cool" long before the end of adolescence.

by Anonymousreply 218January 12, 2022 6:32 AM

Is she in OP’s pic? I see some sort of shadow…..

by Anonymousreply 219January 12, 2022 6:40 AM

Herb Alpert in r211 is totally hot.

by Anonymousreply 220January 12, 2022 6:51 AM

[quote] If the Carpenters were considered uncool, then... so what? Like most people, I stopped caring about what was considered "cool" long before the end of adolescence

I think music journalists and musicians themselves are the gatekeepers of what is considers fool because it’s an industry circle jerk that affects reputation, advertising and (back in the not so distant past) airplay.

Whereas 95% of humanity simply listen to what they like.

by Anonymousreply 221January 12, 2022 7:33 AM

I wish I could go back in time to save Karen and fuck Herb Albert!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222January 12, 2022 9:11 AM

Richard wanted to too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223January 12, 2022 9:14 AM

I thought was The Sky’s In Love with You?

by Anonymousreply 224January 12, 2022 9:46 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 12, 2022 10:31 AM

Herb Albert and A&M also produced the Brothers Johnson and the bass is all Louis Johnson in “Rise”(1979). It’s a distinct bass guitar. The Brothers Johnson also collaborated in Karen’s solo album and My Body Keeps Changing My Mind. I always felt like it was the most odd collaborations, to put the Carpenters in with a kind of hard core funk sound. It may have been destined for disaster right from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 226January 12, 2022 11:41 AM

[quote]How could GMA allow her to go on the air with TWO sets of eyebrows?

The "second set of eyebrows" below the brows are actually the shadows from the natural indentation of her eye sockets. That's just how thin she was. You can see it better here, this is also from 1981.

It's actually really peculiar that so many people here thought she went on with two sets of eyebrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227January 12, 2022 12:38 PM

R221... exactly! the same goes for the rock and roll hall of fame.. a few gatekeepers and the clique of what is considered "cool" enough to become members..

the fact that the carpenters are not in the hall is shameful... sure they aren't rock, but is madonna or donna summer?

by Anonymousreply 228January 12, 2022 12:39 PM

R208 is right, put the photos together and you can see the first one was stretched in editing. Not sure why R193 is being so defensive about it, they probably just got it from a terrible blog who didn't know how to publish photos without messing them up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229January 12, 2022 12:46 PM

damn her hair was a hot mess

by Anonymousreply 230January 12, 2022 12:53 PM

Anorexics have terrible hair because they are so nutrient-deficient and maintain a dangerously low weight. Their hair on their head falls out and body hair becomes thick all over in an effort to keep the person (devoid of body fat) warm. It's a horrible disease.

by Anonymousreply 231January 12, 2022 1:00 PM

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is bullshit. They won't let the Monkees in because they were a 'fake' band who didn't always play their own instruments, when it's well known that the Wrecking Crew (a cadre of expert studio musicians) played on albums by most popular groups of the 60s and early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 232January 12, 2022 2:45 PM

Emotionally, Karen sounded about 14 years old: living with her parents, obsessed with Disney, making lists of (amazing, unrealistic) traits she wanted in a husband. One theory is that anorexia is a way of staving off puberty. If Karen were a closeted lesbian, her fleeing from an adult body and adult sexuality by starving herself and living like a child makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 233January 12, 2022 2:47 PM

R211 She is all wig and dentures.

by Anonymousreply 234January 12, 2022 3:14 PM

Anorexia can also be triggered by sexual abuse.

by Anonymousreply 235January 12, 2022 3:17 PM

R222 Hert Albert was cute, but I can't hear that song without thinking of a "single" included in Hustler magazine. A friend of mine had it. You cut it out and it would play on a turntable.

That song was in the background. I'm sure it was unauthorized. As it played, two women in a bubble bath had sex with each other.

Whenever I hear that music I can still hear, "Pass that bottle of body lotion. No, here, let me do that for you . . ."

by Anonymousreply 236January 12, 2022 3:20 PM

Herb Alpert, guys. Not Albert, Alpert.

by Anonymousreply 237January 12, 2022 3:21 PM

[quote]Anorexia can also be triggered by sexual abuse.

The Todd Hanes movie implies that. You can see a naked Barbie butt being spanked in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 238January 12, 2022 3:21 PM

R324 They are not dentures, they just look like they are. When people lose a huge amount of weight, say like people with cancer, their faces shrivel making their teeth protrude.

by Anonymousreply 239January 12, 2022 3:41 PM

I have recently started listening to the British singer Rumer, and I find that her voice has traces of Karen in it. I really like her rendition of (They Long To Be) Close To You, which is featured on her album of Bacharach songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240January 12, 2022 10:47 PM

I wonder what Karen would have made of Madonna. I can imagine Karen doing ballads like Live To Tell and You'll See, had she been making music in the mid 80s and into the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 241January 13, 2022 12:44 AM

I don't think the Carpenters would have had any hits during the 80s. The way music was going they would have been considered totally passe. Karen's droning, depressed voice would have grated on people.

by Anonymousreply 242January 13, 2022 1:10 AM

Madonna’s “Crazy For You” was co-written by John Bettis who co-wrote many of The Carpenters’ hits.

by Anonymousreply 243January 13, 2022 1:26 AM

Her face looks like a talking shovel.

by Anonymousreply 244January 13, 2022 1:26 AM

I took Karen’s place.

by Anonymousreply 245January 13, 2022 1:52 AM

[quote] Madonna’s “Crazy For You” was co-written by John Bettis who co-wrote many of The Carpenters’ hits.

I don't think the Carpenters would have have a hit with that song. Richard probably would not have wanted Karen to record it. It's about....SEX! And the idea of Karen Carpenter singing about sex was unfathomable. It's why her solo album was never released. It contained songs about....SEX! The Carpenter's fan base would never have wanted their little Karen to be singing about....SEX!

by Anonymousreply 246January 13, 2022 2:48 AM

The Japanese sure do love The Carpenters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247January 13, 2022 4:35 AM

SEX, R246 , SEX!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 13, 2022 5:11 AM

the beginning of this songs gives me chills it's so prophetic "in my own time nobody knew the pain I was going thru."

I guess they knew Karen but nobody could help.

by Anonymousreply 249January 13, 2022 5:31 AM

R241, Madonna has actually named Karen as an early influence on her growing up in the ‘70s. Madonna’s delivery on the song Ghosttown from Rebel Heart (a definite mixed bag album) always reminded me of Karen a little, especially during the verses.

by Anonymousreply 250January 13, 2022 10:12 AM

That Aggie Carpenter was a nasty old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 251January 13, 2022 11:27 AM

Karen would have sounded great singing the Madonna tracks, This Used To Be My Playground, and Take A Bow.

by Anonymousreply 252January 13, 2022 12:44 PM

Karen:

Oh Mother 🎵

You can't hurt me now

I got away from you, I never thought I would

You can't make me cry, you once had the power

I never felt so good about myself

by Anonymousreply 253January 13, 2022 12:49 PM

R253 - I can totally hear Karen singing that. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 254January 13, 2022 12:55 PM

Supposedly "Rain" is Madonna's attempt at a Karen-esque vocal.

by Anonymousreply 255January 13, 2022 1:04 PM

So sad, and such a loss.

by Anonymousreply 256January 13, 2022 1:06 PM

R255 “Rain” is one of Madonna’s best. Her work in the 90’s is definitely her best.

by Anonymousreply 257January 13, 2022 1:07 PM

The Carpenters had a comeback in the 90s. There was even a tribute album by then-hot bands. If Karen had lived, they probably would have done more albums and tours then. Seventies nostalgia was a big thing in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 258January 13, 2022 1:51 PM

Karen would definitely have chuckled to herself seeing how fat Midler got.

by Anonymousreply 259January 13, 2022 3:26 PM

[quote] “Rain” is one of Madonna’s best. Her work in the 90’s is definitely her best.

Let's not kid ourselves. For every Vogue, there's a Hanky Panky.

by Anonymousreply 260January 13, 2022 3:37 PM

R260 lol

by Anonymousreply 261January 13, 2022 4:13 PM

I actually loved the I Am Breathless album. Hanky Panky was my least favorite track on it, though.

by Anonymousreply 262January 13, 2022 5:48 PM

I really think it was a different time in several ways.

There were boundaries that a show like GMA would not cross to guarantee access - same as today, with the difference that a gossip blog or social media would have elevated chatter about Karen much earlier.

And we really didn't know as much about anorexia - I mean, now it's a well known thing, but then the cultural awareness of it was limited, and it was thought to be a limited issue in scope.

by Anonymousreply 263January 13, 2022 5:52 PM

She looks a little porky there, OP.

by Anonymousreply 264January 13, 2022 5:53 PM

Would Agnes have flipped her lid if Karen sang Hanky Panky or would she have demanded Karen appear bare-assed in the video with Harold spanking her?

by Anonymousreply 265January 13, 2022 6:04 PM

I'm sorry, it's true. P is for Porky.

Rainy days and moo cows always get ME down!

by Anonymousreply 266January 13, 2022 6:08 PM

Can we enshrine Agnes Carpenter in the DL Cunt Hall of Fame? It seems like a glaring omission that she's not included with Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, Mamie Eisenhower, et al.

by Anonymousreply 267January 13, 2022 6:32 PM

"Looking a little pudgy around the eye sockets, Karen. Have you weighed yourself today?"

by Anonymousreply 268January 13, 2022 6:34 PM

[quote]And we really didn't know as much about anorexia - I mean, now it's a well known thing, but then the cultural awareness of it was limited, and it was thought to be a limited issue in scope.

I remember when I was a teen, mowing my parents' grass and seeing the girl who lived next door. I hadn't seen her in ages, but she scared me. She looked like a skeleton draped in skin.

My mother explained that she was anorexic and what that meant. This was in the late '70s. So I knew about it. And I assume other people did, even before Karen made it a topic talked about openly.

by Anonymousreply 269January 13, 2022 6:51 PM

"Karen, have you weighed yourself this hour, pudding?"

by Anonymousreply 270January 13, 2022 6:53 PM

Agnes was a nightmare. Associates of the Carpenters have talked about what a critical bitch she was to Karen. Nobody really liked her.

by Anonymousreply 271January 13, 2022 6:56 PM

I was the one who introduced the world to anorexia! I WIN!

Sincerely,

The Best Little Girl in the World (brought to you by Aaron Spelling two full years before KC died)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272January 13, 2022 7:36 PM

Karen, what would be the top tips you'd give to other pear-shaped women, like you are, what would you like to tell them?

by Anonymousreply 273January 13, 2022 9:08 PM

Carol Burnette said Richard C was the worst guest on her show.

by Anonymousreply 274January 13, 2022 9:21 PM

Their strength was Karen's melancholy songs sung in low alto. When they veered from that it was treacly.

Without Karen, Richard would be a h.s. music teacher who moonlights in lounges. He has no voice to speak of, no charisma and that irritating lisp.

by Anonymousreply 275January 13, 2022 9:53 PM

You will refer to me as Mrs. Carpenter! That's how we do it where I'm from!

by Anonymousreply 276January 13, 2022 10:21 PM

Here's a blind item that's obviously Carol Burnett talking about Richard Carpenter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 13, 2022 10:52 PM

I believe that Carol Burnett said that Richard and particularly Karen seemed petrified of their mother. It wasn’t Richard who was the bad guest, it was their mother who Carol said was the worst show business parent she’d ever come across.

by Anonymousreply 278January 13, 2022 10:59 PM

In that TV movie, The Karen Carpenter Story, Agnes seemed infantilizing and controlling. Since Richard Carpenter was an uncredited director on the thing, I'm sure it's accurate.

by Anonymousreply 279January 13, 2022 11:12 PM

If Richard allowed that portrayal to be irked you know the reality was many times worse.

by Anonymousreply 280January 13, 2022 11:29 PM

It wasn't me in that Carol Burnett blind item, it was that fat breeding sow Olive Osmond who slapped her tub-o-lard little bitch Marie! I swear!

by Anonymousreply 281January 13, 2022 11:33 PM

R280... From other biographies of the carpenters and karen carpenter, the tv movie was MAJORLY watered down because of Richard's involvement, NOT including his mother Agnes major racism, her dominating her weak husband to the point where Agnes would very very rarely even let him, the father Harold even talk to Karen when she called the home, to the story of her forcing karen to go thru with the marriage because all of the invitations had been sent out and the media notified and to karen "you made your bed you now have to lie in it!" even AFTER karen came to her crying and uncontrollably upset because she found out that her future husband had a vasectomy without telling her until the last minute and couldn't have kids, something karen desperately wanted, and so on and so on....

by Anonymousreply 282January 13, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote] And we really didn't know as much about anorexia - I mean, now it's a well known thing, but then the cultural awareness of it was limited, and it was thought to be a limited issue in scope.

Was Karen Carpenter the first major anorexia tragedy in the modern sense?

by Anonymousreply 283January 14, 2022 12:12 AM

Stop the nonsense. The two of them were geniuses together as was Karen on her own. The world is a poorer place without her voice and their music. I miss her so much.

by Anonymousreply 284January 14, 2022 2:33 AM

To hide that she wasn't eating Karen would rave about her meal and insist that others at the table had to try it. This would continue until Karen's plate was empty. Agnes caught on to this trick so she would pile more food onto the plate. It infuriated Karen.

by Anonymousreply 285January 14, 2022 2:47 AM

Damn, Agnes slapped Karen in the face right in front of Carol Burnett and everybody who worked on her show!

by Anonymousreply 286January 14, 2022 2:55 AM

Agnes was a cunt - but slap Karen across the face? In front of others? Maybe in private, I hope not! Agnes was so rigid and proper. I'm not siding with the devil, just the accuracy of that blind item.

by Anonymousreply 287January 14, 2022 3:02 AM

Mitchell Anderson who played Richard in the TV movie said the script was changed several times to appease Agnes.

I think they were part of the musical purge that happens every decade, but there were groups and artists during the made in America time frame that were having big hits with soft rock/adult contemporary songs.

by Anonymousreply 288January 14, 2022 3:10 AM

The mother shouldn't be blamed for Karen's dreadful marriage. So what if she said Karen had to go through with it because the invitations were sent and People magazine was going to be there? She didn't HAVE to do it. So the fault was hers, for getting involved with the dickhead in the first place and walking down the aisle with him.

by Anonymousreply 289January 14, 2022 3:11 AM

"She didn't HAVE to do it."

Yeah, she did. Because she was in that creepy Carpenter cult family. We like to think Karen would be doing this and doing that now (Lana Del Rey-type songs come to mind). But for whatever reason she couldn't escape them, and it killed her.

by Anonymousreply 290January 14, 2022 3:15 AM

[quote]there were groups and artists during the made in America time frame that were having big hits with soft rock/adult contemporary songs.

True, that was the peak of the soft rock/yacht rock sound.

by Anonymousreply 291January 14, 2022 3:23 AM

[quote] Yeah, she did. Because she was in that creepy Carpenter cult family.

Oh, come on. She was an adult, a very rich adult. She didn't have to do anything she didn't want to do. If she let her mother have that much control over her then she was very sick in the head indeed.

by Anonymousreply 292January 14, 2022 4:15 AM

R5 I just noticed in the British Sue Lawley interview that her eyes are sunken in so much, that that's what looks like she has second eye brows!! Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 293January 14, 2022 5:40 AM

[quote]If she let her mother have that much control over her then she was very sick in the head indeed.

Did you see what she looked like at the end? That she was very sick in the head was quite clear.

by Anonymousreply 294January 14, 2022 7:04 AM

"Sick in the head?" I think it's clear that she had mental health issues. Her mother was abusive towards her; there are multiple accounts. Her brother was no ally, either. The effects of that family abuse don't magically fall away when one turns 18. Karen was a troubled adult because her family treated her like dirt.

Jesus, some damaged freaks post here.

by Anonymousreply 295January 14, 2022 10:34 AM

It’s unbelievable that Karen’s last meal was a shrimp salad from Denny’s!

by Anonymousreply 296January 14, 2022 12:39 PM

Are they sure she didn't die of food poisoning?

by Anonymousreply 297January 14, 2022 12:58 PM

R296... i believe her last meal was a shrimp salad at Big Boy's and then she also stopped somewhere to pick up a taco that she later ate at her parent's home, before turning to bed upstairs and sadly so sadly not seen alive again....

by Anonymousreply 298January 14, 2022 1:27 PM

[quote] shrimp salad

[quote] taco

Sounds like an amuse bouche to me

by Anonymousreply 299January 14, 2022 1:28 PM

It doesn't sound like Karen to pick up a taco after dinner! Or to get a taco after a shrimp salad. What was up with that?

by Anonymousreply 300January 14, 2022 1:31 PM

A girl's gotta eat!

by Anonymousreply 301January 14, 2022 1:40 PM

Karen was eating again at the end, but it was much too late. She killer her heart with ipecac abuse and long-term starvation, not to mention whatever thyroid medication misuse did to her. It really was a slow suicide.

by Anonymousreply 302January 14, 2022 1:47 PM

*killed her heart

by Anonymousreply 303January 14, 2022 1:47 PM

[quote]It wasn’t Richard who was the bad guest, it was their mother who Carol said was the worst show business parent she’d ever come across.

Bullshit. That blind makes Richard seem really awful. Not only was he abusive to Karen, Carol thought he was on cocaine.

She could ban Agnes from the show because she wasn't part of the act.

by Anonymousreply 304January 14, 2022 1:59 PM

Karen's interests, lifestyle, and relationships SCREAM desperate closeted lesbian. No wonder she could never come out, even to herself, probably. Can you imagine Agnes and Richard's reaction? She'd have been ostracized by her family for sure. And yes, as a famous millionaire she didn't need them materially, but emotionally she was totally dependent on them, even though their 'love' came a high price.

by Anonymousreply 305January 14, 2022 2:03 PM

[quote]And yes, as a famous millionaire she didn't need them materially

But how much control did she really have over the money coming in?

by Anonymousreply 306January 14, 2022 2:14 PM

Agnes will go down as the cuntiest cunt whoever cunted! Total cunt. I’m glad that I farted at her grave. I would have shit on it, but security cameras.

by Anonymousreply 307January 14, 2022 3:30 PM

[quote]Karen's interests, lifestyle, and relationships SCREAM desperate closeted lesbian. No wonder she could never come out, even to herself, probably.

Not to mention her close friendship with Olivia Newton-Lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 308January 14, 2022 5:20 PM

Here's her autopsy report. I'm surprised that her heart was listed as being normal. Also what's with the dried tea leaves found in her stomach?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309January 14, 2022 5:28 PM

Why does the autopsy mention so many syringe marks?

Was this a medication?

by Anonymousreply 310January 14, 2022 6:18 PM

by Anonymousreply 311January 14, 2022 6:30 PM

"Shrimp salad and a taco? Hit the treadmill chubby!"

by Anonymousreply 312January 14, 2022 7:20 PM

Wasn’t Karen using ipecac syrup again?

by Anonymousreply 313January 14, 2022 7:50 PM

Karen's entry at Find a Death. There's an interesting quote from someone who grew up in Downey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314January 14, 2022 8:03 PM

Ipecac syrup used regularly actually/allegedly eats away at heart muscle which of course weakens it, but yet in the autopsy it's stated her heart looked normal?

I also wonder if back then, if the bottle for ipecac syrup had this warning on their label and if not, why not? if it did, why didn't karen pay any attention to that?...

by Anonymousreply 315January 14, 2022 8:05 PM

Karen weight 108 pounds at the time of her death, skinny for a 5'4 person but not deadly. The real damage was from ipecac abuse. She'd stopped taking it but had already damaged her heart. From the bio Little Girl Blue:

[quote]cause of death as “emetine cardiotoxicity due to or as a consequence of anorexia nervosa.” The anatomical summary listed pulmonary edema and congestion (usually caused by heart failure) first and anorexia second. Third was cachexia, which usually indicates extreme weight loss and an apparent lack of nutrition. The finding of emetine cardiotoxicity (ipecac poisoning) revealed that Karen had poisoned herself with ipecac syrup, a well-known emetic commonly recommended to induce vomiting in cases of overdose or poisoning. A letter detailing National Medical Services’s lab findings was composed March 23, 1983. After testing both blood and liver, it was determined that 0.48 micrograms/g emetine, “the major alkaloidal constituent of ipecac,” was present in the liver. “In the present case,” they explained, “the finding of 0.5 micrograms emetine/g, with none detected in the blood, is consistent with residua of the drug after relatively remote cessation of its chronic use."

by Anonymousreply 316January 14, 2022 8:08 PM

*Karen weighed

by Anonymousreply 317January 14, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote]I also wonder if back then, if the bottle for ipecac syrup had this warning on their label and if not, why not? if it did, why didn't karen pay any attention to that?

Seriously? She was anorexic. Ignoring common-sense advice about her health was a way of life for her.

by Anonymousreply 318January 14, 2022 8:15 PM

Ipecac is no longer sold over the counter and is not recommended for cases of poisoning. It was widely available throughout Karen's lifetime, though.

The thyroid drugs she abused probably contributed to her early death, too. She was taking dozens of pills a day at one point.

by Anonymousreply 319January 14, 2022 8:18 PM

OMG! Those comments at R314 about how she needed to be pounded by thug dick instead of her brother! Oy.

by Anonymousreply 320January 14, 2022 8:20 PM

Yes, why did she have dried tea leaves in her stomach when she died? Was she eating loose leaf tea?

by Anonymousreply 321January 14, 2022 8:22 PM

If you had a cup of tea and drank some of the leaves at the bottom, they might not be digested.

by Anonymousreply 322January 14, 2022 8:34 PM

R296 Denny’s? Wasn’t it called Sambo’s back then?

by Anonymousreply 323January 14, 2022 8:36 PM

R323 No, Sambo's was a separate chain altogether.

Not surprisingly, it's no longer in business.

by Anonymousreply 324January 14, 2022 8:39 PM

Karen's weight gain at the end was only due to being in a hospital with an IV in her arm. Richard said they didn't find any "open" containers of ipecac in her condo. Her fried Itchy Ramone said she was taking 60-90 laxatives per night. Per night. She really needed psych meds.

by Anonymousreply 325January 14, 2022 8:39 PM

[quote] Jesus, some damaged freaks post here.

Well, YOU post here so you're living proof of that!

by Anonymousreply 326January 14, 2022 8:39 PM

Anyone abusing ipecac, thyroid pills, and laxatives to that extent wants to die. Plain and simple. It was good-girl Karen's way of offing herself without making it seem deliberate.

by Anonymousreply 327January 14, 2022 8:42 PM

Richard said that Karen "loved tacos and chile." I guess she didn't love them enough.

Neither of the Carpenters were gay. No biography of them confirms that. I think, being as conservative as they were, they would be horrified at the gay rumors. In all likelihood they were both homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 328January 14, 2022 8:48 PM

[quote]Richard said that Karen "loved tacos and chile."

Well, she certainly loved my taco!

by Anonymousreply 329January 14, 2022 9:53 PM

Calling Occupants!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 14, 2022 10:47 PM

R330 Without a doubt, their worst song.

by Anonymousreply 331January 14, 2022 10:49 PM

[quote] To hide that she wasn't eating Karen would rave about her meal and insist that others at the table had to try it. This would continue until Karen's plate was empty.

WHY would Karen be swallowing fistfuls of laxatives, and taking ipecac if she wasn't even eating? No wonder people were confused about anorexia in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 332January 15, 2022 12:22 AM

Anorexics binge in private but can be phobic about eating in front of others.

by Anonymousreply 333January 15, 2022 12:36 AM

Remember the TV movie where Meredith Baxter was anorexic? It was like a horror movie about food!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334January 15, 2022 12:40 AM

[quote]WHY would Karen be swallowing fistfuls of laxatives, and taking ipecac if she wasn't even eating?

Because even a taste would make her think she had eaten too much.

by Anonymousreply 335January 15, 2022 12:40 AM

Kate was bulimic, R334. I had to watch that movie in junior high.

by Anonymousreply 336January 15, 2022 12:42 AM

[quote] Without a doubt, their worst song.

I thought a lot of their songs, especially uptempo ones, were worse that that. I hated "Close To You", "There's A Kind of Hush", "Top of the World", "Sing", Please Mr. Postman" and "Merry Christmas, Darling" among others.

by Anonymousreply 337January 15, 2022 12:51 AM

I agree r337. Karen was at her best singing the downbeat, depressing songs like Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar and Goodbye To Love.

by Anonymousreply 338January 15, 2022 1:07 AM

R337 Merry Christmas Darling was their first big Christmas song and a big hit. I remember buying the vinyl single (because it was so popular) and LOVE it! An iconic great!!!

by Anonymousreply 339January 15, 2022 4:04 AM

[quote] Merry Christmas Darling was their first big Christmas song and a big hit. I remember buying the vinyl single (because it was so popular) and LOVE it! An iconic great!!!

Her singing in that song makes one think she's contemplating suicide. Or that she's on quaaludes.

by Anonymousreply 340January 15, 2022 4:49 AM

The Karen Carpenter Story is worth watching. I saw it as a kid and it broke my heart.

Karen looks like a wraith in this video. I’m always shocked at how people’s bodies can survive as they eat their own muscle to keep the person alive (hopefully long enough to get more nutrients to go back to homeostasis of regular food intake).

All of you who allege she was closeted…beyond the friendship with OLivia NJ, what evidence do you have? I’m intrigued, but not sold on this idea yet.

by Anonymousreply 341January 15, 2022 6:37 AM

I always thought the Sue Lawley interview in R12 came first, but now I see that was late October 1981. The GMA interview was in August. ISue was not comfortable with another softball interview and directly addressed the obvious decline in Karen’s health.

by Anonymousreply 342January 15, 2022 9:35 AM

I love Carpenters Christmas music but Merry Christmas, Darla is absolutely dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 343January 15, 2022 11:51 AM

^ Darling

by Anonymousreply 344January 15, 2022 11:51 AM

I love MCD but this is my favorite Christmas recording by The Carpenters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345January 15, 2022 2:11 PM

Cynthia Gibb would say that Richard's involvement ruined the experience for her and pretty much everyone else on the set. Because he had final approval, he went over everything with a fine tooth comb. He was particularly obsessed with how Louise Fletcher portrayed Agnes. That being said, the whole cast was baffled when Richard broke down after the family therapy "we don't hug in our family" scene, because he thought it was beautiful. Meanwhile, everyone else couldn't comprehend how Agnes could be so cold.

He even told Cynthia she had to lose weight because he wanted her to wear Karen's actual clothes, which she felt was creepy.

That being said, the Carpenters movie was a huge hit, and one of the most watched TV programs of all time when it aired. It singlehandedly revived interest in the Carpenters, which had been dormant since Karen's passing.

by Anonymousreply 346January 15, 2022 2:17 PM

DL is going to have to make up its mind once and for all.

Richard Carpenter is a sister-fucking monster....

OR...

Richard Carpenter is a jizz-guzzling power bottom.

He cannot be both. He just can't.

Well, I guess technically he could, but the possibility is next to nil.

So which is it, DL?

by Anonymousreply 347January 15, 2022 2:19 PM

R347, I think he's neither. He seems like an asexual, emotionally stunted man who would be happiest just playing his piano all day every day. He probably married his cousin because he was too timid to meet anyone new outside his family. Maybe he had sex with her just a few times because his domineering parents were demanding grandchildren from him, and of course, he had to do what they said.

by Anonymousreply 348January 15, 2022 4:20 PM

What did Karen say about Richard dating their cousin? What did any of them say?

by Anonymousreply 349January 15, 2022 6:05 PM

[quote]What did Karen say about Richard dating their cousin?

"No, thanks, I'm full."

by Anonymousreply 350January 15, 2022 6:14 PM

[quote]What did Karen say about Richard dating their cousin?

"Maybe SHE would like to try my dinner entree! It is really yummy! I feel selfish keeping it all to myself. Here, you try it, too! And you. And you."

by Anonymousreply 351January 15, 2022 6:40 PM

R338 and don't forget her favorite song 'Goodbye to Lunch'

by Anonymousreply 352January 15, 2022 6:45 PM

[quote] "Maybe SHE would like to try my dinner entree! It is really yummy! I feel selfish keeping it all to myself. Here, you try it, too! And you. And you."

Woody Allen joked about all the exorbitant meals he'd buy for Diane Keaton that ended up in the toilet minutes later. He would have saved money dating Karen.

by Anonymousreply 353January 15, 2022 7:09 PM

Richard’s not a gay.

by Anonymousreply 354January 15, 2022 7:33 PM

The story about Karen getting rid of her food by raving about it and insisting other people eat it, only to be foiled by Agnes piling more food onto her plate, makes no sense.

The way it's described, they're all at a family dinner with everybody eating the same thing. Maybe she pulled the trick when eating in restaurants with Richard/the band, but then Agnes couldn't dump more food onto Karen's plate.

I'm guessing that she was just a regular anorexic who pushed the food around, cut it into tiny bits, and only ate about a tenth of what was on her plate. No need to be fancy.

by Anonymousreply 355January 15, 2022 7:45 PM

Karen Carpenter sang "Ave Maria" in Latin beautifully. It's enough to make most anyone shed a tear. I prefer it to "Merry Christmas, Darling."

Back in my Elementary schoolgirl years the rumor was that Karen Carpenters had cancer. Such a thing we children thought quite innocently. I don't know what the grown adults thought back then or maybe I just don't remember. I was stupid and after Karen Carpenter died I thought that Anorexia Nervosa was a form of cancer until my parents told me different.

That poor lady, man. She couldn't catch a break and her own mother basically hated her.

I saw a documentary about the Carpenters. Richard apparently would memorize records when he was a wee child. He'd memorize the grooves in the records in regard to the tracks. This he did before he knew how to read. That's really fucking odd to me. The mother would clean the doorknobs and peephole to the front door back when they lived in Connecticut and one of Karen's former playmates thought that was weird as hell since it is you know. I think something bad must have occurred in Connecticut for them to have moved to L.A. for Richard's career because he could have just taken the train to NYC.

God knows what dark stuff is in that family. And, Richard Carpenter should not have married his cousin even if she could very well have been adopted because that's sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356January 15, 2022 7:58 PM

Karen would drink chicken broth and iced tea instead of eating.

by Anonymousreply 357January 15, 2022 7:58 PM

From "Little Girl Blue":

[quote] As Mike Curb had witnessed a year earlier, friends and family began to notice extreme changes in Karen’s eating habits, despite her attempts at subtlety. She rearranged and pushed her food around the plate with a fork as she talked, which gave the appearance of eating. Another of her strategies involved offering samples of her food to others around the table. She would rave on and on about her delicious meal and then insist that everyone at the table try it for themselves. “Here, you have some,” she would say as she enthusiastically scooped heaps of her own meal onto others’ plates. “Would you like to taste this?” By the time dinner was over, Karen’s plate was clean, but she had dispersed her entire meal to everyone else. Agnes caught on to this ploy and began to do the same in return. “Well, this is good, too,” she would say as she put more food onto her daughter’s plate. This infuriated Karen, who realized she would have to find other ways to successfully avoid eating.

by Anonymousreply 358January 15, 2022 8:02 PM

Richard with his wife/cousin and his kids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359January 15, 2022 8:05 PM

Here is "I Need To Be In Love," which Karen considered to be her favorite out of all of her songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360January 15, 2022 10:01 PM

according to the book "little girl blue',,, karen was upset and aghast that richard was going to marry his cousin, whether blood or not...

also, karen had already chosen baby names should she ever have kids that she desperately wanted. if she had a girl, it was going to be Kristy and a boy, of course, it was going to be Richard.

by Anonymousreply 361January 15, 2022 10:06 PM

Yeah, that's healthy.

by Anonymousreply 362January 16, 2022 1:22 AM

On the Carol Burnett Show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363January 16, 2022 1:45 AM

Fan gurl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364January 16, 2022 1:48 AM

[quote] DL is going to have to make up its mind once and for all. Richard Carpenter is a sister-fucking monster....OR...Richard Carpenter is a jizz-guzzling power bottom.

My vote is jizz whore power bottom. Was there a poll?

by Anonymousreply 365January 16, 2022 2:12 AM

It was apparently the ipecac that did her in.

by Anonymousreply 366January 16, 2022 3:09 AM

Agnes was truly a viscous miserable bitch. Did she not see that the more money Karen’s voice made, the better her (Agnes) life would be? I hate Agnes Carpenter for what she did to Karen.

by Anonymousreply 367January 16, 2022 7:09 PM

In Agnes's mind Richard should have been the star. She once told Karen that Richard a real musician and she couldn't possibly understand his genius.

by Anonymousreply 368January 16, 2022 7:18 PM

R363, thank you! I love that clip!

Karen seemed happiest when she was behind the drums.

by Anonymousreply 369January 16, 2022 8:12 PM

Olivia, Tina, Karen, and Toni from Olivia's "Hollywood Nights", 1980:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370January 17, 2022 2:56 AM

It’s weird how Karen just pops up out of nowhere in the middle of that performance ^.

by Anonymousreply 371January 17, 2022 3:24 AM

Carol Burnet was as skinny as Karen when they sang trio in that clip with Richard, yet Carol wasn't anorexic, was she? Was Carol naturally skinny?

by Anonymousreply 372January 17, 2022 4:14 AM

I think Karen and olivia bumped pussies.

by Anonymousreply 373January 17, 2022 8:29 AM

Richard released an album Friday of piano versions of their hits. I listened to a sample on Itunes. It’s sleep inducing!

by Anonymousreply 374January 17, 2022 9:00 AM

I agree R107. Never understood the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 375January 17, 2022 9:05 AM

[quote]an album of piano versions of their hits

Another one? He's grasping at straws.

by Anonymousreply 376January 17, 2022 9:05 AM

Thanks for that! I’d never believe Karen Carpenter ever met Tina, let alone that they sang on stage together.

by Anonymousreply 377January 17, 2022 10:46 AM

R370 Who's the black girl in that clip? Peaches?

by Anonymousreply 378January 17, 2022 11:53 AM

A still unreleased track recorded during her solo sessions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379January 17, 2022 9:00 PM

OMG! What the fuck is that? Horrible. No wonder the execs and Richard hated her solo effort. Beyond terrible.

by Anonymousreply 380January 17, 2022 11:44 PM

Wow that is bad.

It reminds me of a 1980s era old person's attempt to do a contemporary song - like the way those Henry Mancini songs you'd hear in a Pink Panther movie try to sound contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 381January 17, 2022 11:55 PM

Karen's solo album only had a couple of good songs, her cover of Still Crazy After All These Years was one of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382January 18, 2022 1:33 AM

I don't think that the song at R379 is that bad. It sounds dated, but that disco-jazz r&b sound was popular in the late 70s and early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 383January 18, 2022 2:27 AM

Karen should have dumped Richard and teamed up with Christopher Cross.

by Anonymousreply 384January 18, 2022 2:34 AM

Great idea. Team up an anorexic with a fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 385January 18, 2022 2:53 AM

So edgy to declare your disdain for the Carpenters. Such an outlier opinion. So bold. Fascinating... (eye roll)

by Anonymousreply 386January 18, 2022 3:03 AM

They really did her dirty on that CD cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387January 18, 2022 6:03 AM

other songs on Karen's solo album that i thought were good and possible hits were "if i had you" and "if we try"

I do believe the ONLY way that karen or her brother were going to have success in the 1980s on the adult contemporary charts was for either karen to go solo and get new outside producers, arrangers and songwriters or staying in the duo and richard getting said outside help...

on the last carpenter's album that was put out shortly after karen's passing "voice of the heart" besides the incredible "NOW" and "make believe it's your first time" and "your baby doesn't love you anymore", the rest of the album was junk and richard was putting in o.k. choral choruses and cheesy syrupy instrumentals. stuff that was bad and dated EVEN BEFORE they hit it big in the early 70s.... TOTAL Lawrence Welk stuff! elevator music! what was he thinking??..

by Anonymousreply 388January 18, 2022 1:10 PM

As a 90s kid the first time I ever heard about Karen Carpenter in detail - beyond having heard Top Of The World and Close To You on the oldies station - was in the novel Veronica by Mary Gaitskill:

[quote] When John took those naked pictures, the most popular singer was a girl with a tiny stick body and a large deferential head, who sang in a delicious lilt of white lace and promises and longing to be close. When she shut herself up in her closet and starved herself to death, people were shocked. But starvation was in her voice all along. That was the poignancy of it. A sweet voice locked in a dark place, but focused entirely on the tiny strip of light coming under the door.

by Anonymousreply 389January 18, 2022 4:04 PM

R388 - The overuse of the O.K. Choral on "Voice of the Heart" was not Richard's first choice. The original intent was the backing vocals to be the classic Carpenters sound of Karen's and Richard's harmonizing voices layered over multiple recordings. The Powers That Be (Were?) at A&M at that moment (Alpert and Moss actually were less and less hands on at that point.) put pressure on Richard to rush production on the album in order to capitalize on Karen's death. He couldn't complete the backing vocals himself, so he substituted the chorus on the backing vocals. Going back to work was Richard's way of dealing with his grief. This rushed production also resulted in several unused completed tracks recorded for "Made in America" to be put into service to flesh out "Voice of the Heart". Also, a few of the tracks while intended for inclusion on "Voice" are what Richard called "work leads". Karen would go in, sing the song according to what she heard in her mind, then Richard would build the accompaniment and backing vocals around it. Once that was completed, Karen would re-record her lead in a more polished sound. It's a testament to her that these vocals- although considered throw aways and not professional in her opinion- sound better than any of the "world class voices" which have sprung up since her passing.

"Now" is one of those work leads and has the distinction of being Karen's final recorded performance, from April of 1982.

by Anonymousreply 390January 18, 2022 5:14 PM

Looking a little porky today, Karen! Oink oink!

by Anonymousreply 391January 18, 2022 6:12 PM

R390 - there's a recording of the group doing Trying to Get The Feeling Again on one of their hits collections, and it's one of those "work leads" you're talking about.

At one point in the song, you can hear the sound of Karen turning the page of the sheet music.

by Anonymousreply 392January 18, 2022 6:21 PM

R390... okay, but why use ANY chorus? I would prefer to have heard just music and no harmonies of richard with karen, then hearing some choral chorus....can't believe alpert and moss thought some chorus was needed and sounded good?!

other songs on that "voice of the heart" album besides bad instrumentation the lyrics of the songs were bad. example "prime time love"? "sailing on the tide", "look to your dreams"...WTF.....

They should have simply used the few good songs on there and then add in perhaps live in concert recording of their classics. I wonder if there was a issue with using the good songs with karen's solo album on voice of the heart? like "if i had you" and "if we try"....they included "ordinary fool" which was a recorded song from years ago? SO why did they include that long ago recorded song, but crap like the songs they included? Sounds like it was rush rush and no quality was given a second thought?...

I found the bad taste of all involved to rush a album and include such bad "work lead" songs to fill up a album amazing instead of gosh knows what else could have been included instead..

by Anonymousreply 393January 18, 2022 7:20 PM

Sailing on the Tide was the flip side of Goodbye to Love.

by Anonymousreply 394January 18, 2022 7:23 PM

The Matt Pop Carpenters remixes are brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395January 18, 2022 9:51 PM

Just perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396January 18, 2022 9:54 PM

I'm not too crazy about this one, but "We've Only Just Begun" is not one of my Carpenters faves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397January 18, 2022 9:58 PM

R396 I love it!!!!

by Anonymousreply 398January 18, 2022 10:01 PM

Sure, they were a “joke” to many, but no less than Ella Fitzgerald said at the height of their popularity that if you didn’t love Karen’s voice you just didn’t like popular music.

by Anonymousreply 399January 18, 2022 10:34 PM

“Ordinary Fool” is the best track from “Voices Of The Heart” in my opinion. It was recorded in 1976 to be included on the “A Kind of Hush” album but didn’t make the cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400January 18, 2022 10:35 PM

She looks completely unrecognizable in this bit of age-progression (starting at 6:05).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401January 19, 2022 12:00 AM

The song at R397 is sublime, especially at the 2:24 mark. Listen with headphones.

by Anonymousreply 402January 19, 2022 12:15 AM

Michael Jackson looks like Michael Myers!

by Anonymousreply 403January 19, 2022 12:28 AM

R403, he looks more like Liza in this one (starting at 7:13).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404January 19, 2022 12:33 AM

Karen Carpenter seemed to be stuck at the age of 14. She collected stuffed animals and Mickey Mouse memorabilia. This is from an article about the Carpenters and that doomed solo album of her:

Karen Ichiuji, Phil Ramone's wife and a glamorous, street-smart singer, became Karen Carpenter's cultural compass.

"This really was the girl next door," Ichiuji says. "She didn't know how to hail a cab, wasn't comfortable even ordering for herself in restaurants."

Karen encouraged glam photo sessions for the album cover. When she saw the proofs of one shot, which showed her elegantly coiffed and made up and wearing an oversize white sweat shirt -- a precursor of the "Flashdance" look -- she ran to Ichiuji in a rare outburst of self-worth.

"Look at me, Itch," she said. "I'm pretty. I'm really pretty."

"Look at me! I'm pretty, I'm really pretty!" Jesus Christ, what grown woman (she was in her 30s) talks like THAT? I guess she remained "the girl next door" type until she died, perpetually stuck in teenybopper mode.

by Anonymousreply 405January 19, 2022 12:59 AM

Of course she was emotionally stunted with a family like that. The only way she'd have gotten out of her parents' vise grip is if she'd found a smart, savvy, somewhat ruthless husband early on who had Karen's best interests at heart. But how would a man like that even have gotten his foot in the door with Agnes controlling Karen's every move? She was doomed.

by Anonymousreply 406January 19, 2022 1:07 AM

[quote] Karen Ichiuji, Phil Ramone's wife and a glamorous, street-smart singer, became Karen Carpenter's cultural compass.

Karen "Kamon" from the Flashdance soundtrack:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407January 19, 2022 1:20 AM

They recorded a lot of songs that became big hits later for others....like Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You" and "Tryin To Get The Feeling Again", George Benson's "This Masquerade" and Anne Murray's "I Just Fall In Love Again". They should have released these songs as singles instead of awful tracks like "Goofus".

Two album cuts I really liked were "Let Me Be The One" and "Baby It's You".

by Anonymousreply 408January 19, 2022 1:21 AM

Let's not forget Richards' solo album. He worked very hard on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409January 19, 2022 5:00 AM

An underrated gem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410January 19, 2022 5:29 AM

B'wana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411January 19, 2022 5:47 AM

All I Can Do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412January 19, 2022 6:15 AM

She never stood a chance with that cunt of a mother.

by Anonymousreply 413January 20, 2022 8:12 AM

OP, "If you see something, say something" wasn't a thing until 2001.

by Anonymousreply 414January 20, 2022 9:51 AM

[quote]"She didn't know how to hail a cab, wasn't comfortable even ordering for herself in restaurants."

Yes, but not for the reason you think.

by Anonymousreply 415January 20, 2022 1:53 PM

[quote]An underrated gem

And if by that you mean hilarious crap, yes.

by Anonymousreply 416January 20, 2022 1:54 PM

She wasn't anorexic. She just hit a gypsy's daughter with her car.

by Anonymousreply 417January 20, 2022 2:00 PM

Do you think that if Karen had lived she would be selling stuff on QVC?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418January 20, 2022 9:02 PM

Karen seems happiest at Disneyland, check out her joy at 1:05 when riding the Mad Tea Cups and the Dumbo ride.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419January 20, 2022 9:53 PM

Did she have her own parking spot at Disney?

by Anonymousreply 420January 21, 2022 12:07 AM

R419, surprised that song was a number one song for them, but not We've Only Just Begun or Superstar.

by Anonymousreply 421January 21, 2022 12:41 AM

Disneyland had some fantastic all-you-can-eat character buffets. Why didn't anyone buy Karen a Disney annual park pass ?

by Anonymousreply 422January 21, 2022 3:31 AM

It looks like Olivia is auctioning some of her stuff. Her Carpenters albums have already sold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423January 21, 2022 5:14 AM

Oh no! The end must be near for Olivia. She’ll be reunited with Karen.

by Anonymousreply 424January 21, 2022 8:26 AM

I’ve never witnessed a lesbian vibe from ONJ. Am I confused? I always believed KC was obsessed by her ultra-femininity.

by Anonymousreply 425January 21, 2022 10:44 AM

Bless your heart, R426.

by Anonymousreply 426January 21, 2022 11:08 AM

Well, R426, you are quite self referential.

by Anonymousreply 427January 21, 2022 1:35 PM

No offense to her fans, but this woman has the most mediocre voice I have ever heard. My sister sounds better when she sings in the passenger seat of my car.

by Anonymousreply 428January 21, 2022 3:41 PM

And what do you think of Vanity's voice?

by Anonymousreply 429January 21, 2022 10:02 PM

Karen was an angel. She had a fucking cunt as a mother.

by Anonymousreply 430January 21, 2022 10:16 PM

Karen’s voice peaked with the Horizon album, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 431January 21, 2022 10:27 PM

Her voice is so compelling because it is warm and intimate, with empathy. She was not a belter but had the perfect tone in the right context. Richard overproduced her most of the time and she still shone through. It wouldn’t have worked for the time, but a solo album of her voice stripped down would have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 432January 22, 2022 12:07 AM

So effervescent. So charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 433January 22, 2022 12:34 AM

If Miss Warwick is a 40 ounce, Karen is skim milk.

by Anonymousreply 434January 22, 2022 12:36 AM

It's a shame Karen never did any recorded duets. I can think of several male vocalists her voice would have blended well with.

by Anonymousreply 435January 22, 2022 1:23 AM

I really enjoy her duet with Ella Fitzgerald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436January 22, 2022 1:38 AM

Here she is with John Denver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437January 22, 2022 2:49 AM

With John Davidson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438January 22, 2022 4:23 AM

Another one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439January 22, 2022 4:24 AM

From the personal journals of Karen -- recently discovered alternate lyrics to "Rainy Days and Mondays"

Throwing up my food and feeling sick Sometimes I'd like to quit Now my clothes don't seem to fit Hanging around, face is a haggard frown Grainy maize on Mondays -- I can't keep it down.

by Anonymousreply 440January 22, 2022 4:27 AM

God, those tv specials they did would cause diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 441January 22, 2022 5:57 AM

Is John Davidson a homo?

by Anonymousreply 442January 22, 2022 6:22 AM

John Davidson is 1000 years old. Who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 443January 22, 2022 8:40 AM

John Davidson is still handsome and still has that full head of hair, he is also a avowed atheist...

by Anonymousreply 444January 22, 2022 1:31 PM

R444 If he's an atheist, I like him even more.

He was a huge crush of mine when I was a very young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 445January 22, 2022 2:37 PM

Davidson is not now and never was a homo.

by Anonymousreply 446January 22, 2022 5:45 PM

Years ago an article stated that Karen Carpenter read a review of a Carpenters show and the journalist referred to her as the "chubby girl singer." It sparked off a terrible reaction in her and started her off on that doomed road of anorexia. And she wasn't chubby in the first place!!!

by Anonymousreply 447January 23, 2022 9:36 PM

Here she is singing with Captain & Tennille and Ben Vereen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448January 23, 2022 10:04 PM

Karen seems so fit and healthy in that it clip. It appears to be from ABC's Silver Anniversary Special, which aired January 31, 1978.

by Anonymousreply 449January 23, 2022 11:13 PM

The parallels between the Carpenters and Captain and Tennille are uncanny. Both were duos at A&M records that specialized in middle-of-the-road pop. Both were duos featuring a female vocalist backed by a keyboard-playing arranger who mostly stayed in the background. Both had No. 1 songs in 1975 (Please Mr. Postman and Love Will Keep Us Together).

by Anonymousreply 450January 24, 2022 12:02 AM

If Karen had been mentally healthy, one bitchy comment from a journalist wouldn't have turned her anorexic. The seeds of her self-destruction were planted in childhood.

by Anonymousreply 451January 24, 2022 12:49 AM

It was her cunt mother and her asshole brother who were nothing but critical and short-tempered with her that had a lot to do with Karen's anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 452January 24, 2022 12:57 AM

I’m thinking it was Karen’s own obsession with her brother, not an incest thing on his part. He may have been the only family member who paid attention to her.

by Anonymousreply 453January 24, 2022 1:51 AM

She did have big childbearing hips though.

by Anonymousreply 454January 24, 2022 1:53 AM

She was a cute, pear-shaped woman. Nothing wrong with that. If she'd had healthy self-esteem, she'd have told her family and the press to fuck off. Of course, with that family, healthy self-esteem was never possible.

by Anonymousreply 455January 24, 2022 2:21 AM

As a kid, I did think she was older than my parents who were both born in 1940 ( 10 years before her). Meh she died. Lena Zavaroni made anorexia a big issue in the UK, same age as me bratty loud singer and then she was this awful tragic figure.

by Anonymousreply 456January 24, 2022 3:23 AM

[quote] She was a cute, pear-shaped woman.

She wasn't "cute." She was very plain. I think she was self conscious about they way she looked even before some reviewer called her "chubby."

by Anonymousreply 457January 24, 2022 5:12 AM

Karen was always insecure about her looks and she felt unattractive compared to other women in the music biz at time like Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and her friend ONJ, who were all genuinely attractive women.

by Anonymousreply 458January 24, 2022 5:15 AM

Intermission.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459January 24, 2022 6:42 AM

OMG, EmmyLou Harris was an absolute dog, and that greasy stringy straight hair makes me gag.

by Anonymousreply 460January 24, 2022 9:14 AM

Emmylou Harris was quite pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461January 24, 2022 3:19 PM

R429, no idea what you mean. I was not saying she had a vain voice. Just...average. My sister sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 462January 24, 2022 4:28 PM

[quote] , EmmyLou Harris was an absolute dog, and that greasy stringy straight hair makes me gag.

You're blind. She was beautiful. And still is a very attractive woman.

by Anonymousreply 463January 25, 2022 12:16 AM

I found the perfect shirt for you bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464February 2, 2022 4:50 AM

Karen died on February 4, 1983.

by Anonymousreply 465February 4, 2022 2:30 AM

Someone who loved Karen Carpenter was Miss Warwick.

by Anonymousreply 466February 4, 2022 2:44 AM

PEOPLE magazine did a nice article on Karen on what would've been her 70th birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467February 4, 2022 3:00 AM

39 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 468February 4, 2022 6:14 AM

[quote]Karen died on February 4, 1983.

Hard to believe it's been 39 years.

by Anonymousreply 469February 4, 2022 6:15 AM

R466 Then why did that bitch just walk on by, when poor Karen needed help?

by Anonymousreply 470February 4, 2022 8:29 AM

Karen had alot of female singer friends,.. olivia, dionne and petula clark to name a few...

for those who have never seen or watched petula clark's tribute to karen literally only a day or two after karen's passing, by singing the song "for all we know" in concert on youtube. YOU HAVE to see it!... beyond beautiful and so so sad and touching....

Don't know how Petula got thru it quite frankly...

by Anonymousreply 471February 4, 2022 2:00 PM

Here is the performance that R471 is talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472February 4, 2022 3:45 PM

Did she chose that song as a “we really don’t really ever know anything about another person and what they’re going through” meaning?

by Anonymousreply 473February 4, 2022 4:33 PM

This is the band that Richard's son sings in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474February 4, 2022 4:59 PM

I'm really creeped out that Richard married his first cousin. That's just fucking gross.

by Anonymousreply 475February 4, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]I'm really creeped out that Richard married his first cousin. That's just fucking gross.

In his defense, Karen was no longer available.

by Anonymousreply 476February 4, 2022 6:30 PM

R475.. well at least she wasn't his BIOLOGICAL BLOOD first cousin.. in the latest autobiography of karen carpenter, she was opposed to this, way to go Karen..

by Anonymousreply 477February 4, 2022 6:32 PM

Even though the cousin was adopted, it's still creepy. I believe she was also quite a few years younger than Richard, too.

by Anonymousreply 478February 4, 2022 6:34 PM

Petula's tribute to Karen at R472 was lovely and heartfelt.

by Anonymousreply 479February 4, 2022 6:36 PM

Karen should've told her cunt of a mother to go fuck herself, and gotten out from under her influence.

by Anonymousreply 480February 4, 2022 6:38 PM

She looks sick and horrible in that video.

Such a beautiful voice. What a disastrous self image and the consequences from it.

by Anonymousreply 481February 4, 2022 6:42 PM

Here is "Now." The final song that Karen recorded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482February 5, 2022 1:25 AM

Anyone know how Karen is remembered in the "Friends of Ana" community? I'm curious if she's treated as a goddess, or a cautionary tale.

by Anonymousreply 483February 6, 2022 1:29 AM

Quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484February 8, 2022 2:52 AM

Really?!

by Anonymousreply 485February 8, 2022 2:54 AM

Here she is being interviewed with her husband and her brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486February 15, 2022 9:30 PM

I recently learned they hosted a variety show in 1971 called Make Your own kind of Music. It looks like it was a summer replacement series. Some kind of alphabet theme each week. Was watching the Carpenters highlights uploaded on YouTube. They sang live when covering other songs. The video quality isn’t great but it’s a fun relic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487February 16, 2022 2:31 AM

Karen singing ABBA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488February 17, 2022 12:10 AM

Olivia, Helen Reddy and Barbra should have all retired and let Karen have their careers.

by Anonymousreply 489February 17, 2022 12:32 AM

That would be an interesting poll. Which easy-listening female vocalist of the Seventies was your favorite? A lot of good choices.

by Anonymousreply 490February 17, 2022 12:38 AM

I wish that some interviewer could get Richard to open up about why Agnes was such a cunt to Karen.

by Anonymousreply 491February 17, 2022 5:18 AM

In the video at R486 Karen's husband looks like an older, heavier version of her brother! She really married someone who reminded her of Richard!

by Anonymousreply 492February 18, 2022 12:00 AM

Just looking at her husband gives me the creeps. What possessed her to marry him? Couldn't she have done than that loser?

by Anonymousreply 493February 18, 2022 2:25 AM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 494February 18, 2022 2:34 AM

R493... she was desperate for love and affection and to get some form of independence from her family and felt that at her age, the clock was ticking to be wife and mother... Sad because she found out right before the marriage that he had had a vasectomy without telling her until the last minute, cried her heart out to her mother because of this betrayal and she wanted kids more than anything and her mother told her she HAD to go thru with the wedding because it was already planned, people magazine was going to be there and it would make everyone look bad if she cancelled at the last minute... Perhaps Karen also went thru with it, because she figured that perhaps his vasectomy could be reversed?.... Also Karen falsely believed that he was wealthy and had his own money so he wasn't going to Use her... WHICH of course he did because he lied about his personal wealth too!....

by Anonymousreply 495February 18, 2022 12:36 PM

That fucking cunt Agnes had better be burning in hell!!!!

by Anonymousreply 496February 18, 2022 3:21 PM

[quote] she was desperate for love and affection and to get some form of independence from her family and felt that at her age, the clock was ticking to be wife and mother

Maybe so. But of all the men in the world she marries THAT one? Talk about bad judgement. At any rate, she could have independence without being married to someone. She was a rich, famous pop star; she could go anywhere she wanted, do anything she wanted. And she was still quite young; I don't why she thought she needed to rush into marriage in order to have kids.

by Anonymousreply 497February 18, 2022 5:20 PM

Some of you are alleging that she was emotionally stunted/immature with the Disney love. Was she as immature when it came to relationships and planning out her life?

by Anonymousreply 498February 18, 2022 6:35 PM

[quote]And she was still quite young; I don't why she thought she needed to rush into marriage in order to have kids.

Different times back then. Most women got married and had kids in their 20s. Today, only religious nuts and third worlders do that.

by Anonymousreply 499February 18, 2022 6:38 PM

Karen had a cute little bod before she started starving herself. Add her fame and money on top, and she could have pulled a quality trophy husband. Her problem was wanting a man who was her 'equal.' Most men of her equal fame in the entertainment world wanted gorgeous trophy wives of their own, not a plainish woman who would also compete with them for attention.

Karen's real issue was that she never jettisoned her adolescent middle-class values and really lived her life like a rich and powerful woman should. If she had, she'd have been a lot happier.

by Anonymousreply 500February 18, 2022 8:01 PM

Yes R499 is right! Different times. In our time, we look at Karen as someone who had it all--success, fame, money, talent--and should have been among the freest of people due to that. In her time and the way she was raised, a woman wasn't considered mature or successful unless married and having children. Karen had to marry to break away from her parents' home and her brother's influence through marriage, but sadly, being raised by hateful conservatives, she was part of a negative cycle and married a hateful man.

by Anonymousreply 501February 18, 2022 10:48 PM

That's the sad thing about Karen. She was the vocalist and the star. She could have walked away from her shitty parents and controlling brother at any point and worked with other producers and arrangers. She'd have probably done really well with the AOR sound in the late 70s and 80s. But she was so psychologically beaten down and emotionally stunted that she just couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 502February 18, 2022 10:58 PM

Did any of the biographies talk about Karen and her hubby's sex life? Wonder if either of them were satisfied.

by Anonymousreply 503February 18, 2022 11:44 PM

R502, I'm not sure about that. Her solo album with Billy Joel's producer Phil Ramone wasn't really that great. They needed to stay away from that OK Chorale stuff that infected every Carpenters album after the wonderful "Passage". Their only top 20 song of the Eighties (Touch Me When We're Dancing) was a step in the right direction.

Who would've been a good fit as a producer for a solo Karen Carpenter album?

by Anonymousreply 504February 19, 2022 12:22 AM

[quote] Did any of the biographies talk about Karen and her hubby's sex life?

I doubt that they had one. He didn't seem like he was really that much into women.

by Anonymousreply 505February 19, 2022 12:37 AM

R504... karen should have hooked up with producers for dionne warwick and others who WERE having hits in the early to mid 1980s on adult contemporary radio... then again, perhaps karen and dionne being good friends, it would be like competing with your friend for the best work...

R505.. well tom burris, DID remarry and had a son, and I believe got into real estate but lives a very very private life, very difficult to find anything on him...

by Anonymousreply 506February 19, 2022 2:02 AM

I don't think Karen was lesbian or straight, I think she was asexual. I don't get any sexual vibrations from her, period. She was probably too reserved to even masturbate. It's kind of ironic because so many of their songs were about falling in/falling out/falling back into love and she never really experienced any of it. When I hear her recording of "The Rainbow Connection" I hear haunting, poignant, child-like yearnings of someone on another plane.

by Anonymousreply 507February 19, 2022 2:22 AM

[quote] I don't think Karen was lesbian or straight, I think she was asexual.

Both Karen and Richard seemed without sexuality. Ant that was their image. Squeaky clean, G-rated. Boring, sexless. That role seemed perfect for them. They both seemed very sexually repressed.

by Anonymousreply 508February 19, 2022 3:19 AM

R507 I think you're correct about Karen being asexual and without sexual desire. For medical reasons, this is likely very accurate. Women who become anorexic to the level of Karen stop having their periods and their sex drive goes away. Anorexia eventually affects the hormones as well as sexual function, development, and sex drive. Essentially, when the female body starts dying due to lack of nutrients, the body knows it is dying and cannot support a pregnancy or feed a child, so the sexual desire dies with hormones as the female organs stop functioning.

by Anonymousreply 509February 19, 2022 3:21 AM

Karen's sexuality appeared to be that of a fourteen-year-old girl, moony and romantic. It likely explains why she went for a man who presented himself as Prince Charming--but was really a conman--rather than seeking out an adult relationship with a flawed but decent person.

by Anonymousreply 510February 19, 2022 8:10 PM

R510.. perhaps but Karen had had a number of relationships that didn't work out and Burris being the con man he was was very good at conning....

by Anonymousreply 511February 19, 2022 8:40 PM

Karen Carpenter was BORING as fuck. A literal Karen. A republican. There was a beautiful clarity and tone to her voice but not an iota of inflection or soul. She just had sad tonality that people projected deeper meaning too. Bland and boring as Fuck. The Carpenters. I wasn't even born when they were popular. They had 4 good songs in their career. All ballads. Nothing has changed just cuz she wouldn't eat.

by Anonymousreply 512February 19, 2022 8:47 PM

r512 is the ancient white fags troll. Insane as usual. It's best to ignore him.

by Anonymousreply 513February 19, 2022 8:59 PM

R512 speaks truth about her voice. Karen was aptly named. She WAS a Karen.

We're not all 80 year old white men on this site.

R513 is abusive. May jesus visit healing to his troubled mind this night.🙏🏾🙏🏾

by Anonymousreply 514February 19, 2022 9:56 PM

R512... karen carpenter had no inflection? HUH? What because she didn't use runs and vocal gymnastics? She actually had incredible inflection to go with the clarity and tone, she put emphasis on every word for every song unlike most singers and was a master storyteller, that is what makes her a great vocalist as opposed to a singer.

by Anonymousreply 515February 19, 2022 10:11 PM

Your post matches well with ALL your racist comments about the Superbowl Hip Hop half-time show R515. You have a very OLD and extremely whitebread idea of what music is.

Karen had a beautiful voice and I found it moving and evocative. She had a great voice that was beautifully produced and presented. She is not an important singer. There IS a difference. No one said anything about vocal gynastics. She was very basic.

by Anonymousreply 516February 19, 2022 10:43 PM

R516.. R515 here.. "my racist comments about the superbowl? what are you talking about? Sorry to tell you, all music critics, historians, singers and vocalist for the past decades agree with me, NOT you on karen carpenter. "not a important singer"? DO tell what a "important singer" is?...

Oh and for my taste in music, i love every decade and almost every genre except rap and modern country music, I can listen to the carpenters to led zeppelin to sade to patsy cline to the stylistics to the doors to madonna to the mama and the papas to green day to nat king cole and on and on... So i'm pretty sure my taste is quite varied thank you!...

by Anonymousreply 517February 19, 2022 10:49 PM

She is still hideously fat in that interview. Good she tried to stay thin.

by Anonymousreply 518February 19, 2022 10:53 PM

Did R517 die in 1984? That's quite an Oldie's Play List. Sade! Is she your affirmative action contribution? She's dental surgery music. Or what they play when white people dine at the beach. All inclusive.

And to compare classic 90s rap to modern country demonstrates what you don't know about the making of music or the elements of style. Karen lacked style. She was not good enough to be classic, but too dorky to be progressive.

Like who you like. Led Zeppelin? I bet you post the Heart version of Stairway to Heaven, every chance you get. jaysus

Get jiggy with it Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 519February 19, 2022 11:18 PM

r515/r517 don't respond to that poster. He is one of the most loathsome trolls on this site and needs to die in a grease fire. Just put him on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 520February 19, 2022 11:20 PM

R519 Yes, it is hilarious what the dino-gays consider to be hip. More like "oops I broke my hip" music. Puke.

by Anonymousreply 521February 19, 2022 11:25 PM

R519! I AM OLD... Could I say that YOU are age discriminatory and a hypocrite in that YOU don't listen to anything other than what is current today? pot calling the kettle black..

R521 and you'll be a dino someday as well....

R520, is that how it works? when someone defends their stance and does NOT use name calling they're a troll?...

by Anonymousreply 522February 20, 2022 1:23 AM

Hey DLers. Most of the Carpenter's hits have more than 44 Million hits on YouTube. I ask you to find any other team as popular. At least for a period as short as theirs.

I skated to their hits at the rink. But weirdly, my boomer dad commented how beautiful her voice and phrasing was.Ans all he ever did was rave about Sinatra and maybe Peggy Lee. A big deal as we agreed on nothing.

Karen is a gem. Richard did a good job arranging. They made a purely American sound that the rest of the world worked hard to emulate.

Listening now. Hard not to sing along.

by Anonymousreply 523February 20, 2022 2:45 AM

Here is a link to a live performance that captures their magic. And it was magic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524February 20, 2022 2:56 AM

The Bee Gees and Christopher Cross would’ve been good producers for Karen in the 80s. And probably Barry Manilow. And Cyndi Lauper writing songs for her. And Lionel Richie.

by Anonymousreply 525February 20, 2022 2:56 AM

Karen was not FUN. How sad is your list R525?

The Bee Gees created some great records - even with Kenny and Dolly. Karen Carpenter in her only solo outing made a truly terrible and tasteless record. She knew nothing about music. She was robotic. And her non basement notes were weak and wispy. Though she had a pretty belting mid range that we all know. Hurting Each Other. A beautiful voice and pretty and always correct with intonation. But let's not talk about her "range." She was kind of useless without Richard. And HE both discovered and destroyed who she might have been.

by Anonymousreply 526February 20, 2022 3:04 AM

Madonna is basically a smarter Karen. They both have that basic tone but know how to emote and have no range.

by Anonymousreply 527February 20, 2022 3:12 AM

r526/527 are the same ancient white fags troll. He hates every white female singer. He's basically useless and a nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 528February 20, 2022 3:30 AM

Wouldn't it be funny if they had put her in a cooking segment?

by Anonymousreply 529February 20, 2022 3:32 AM

R526 you seem unable to appreciate this artist. That's ok. Just go on another thread, ok?

by Anonymousreply 530February 20, 2022 3:37 AM

r 526 couldn't be more wrong. What a fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 531February 20, 2022 6:00 AM

Karen had a 3 octave and according to biographer ray coleman a 4 octave range...

on her solo album she purposely tried to sing and to sound "lighter" (ala olivia newton john) on some of the songs, trying to emulate Olivia's current success at the time and to reach the audience at that time...

Too many of you posting are confusing range with being a loud belter (ronstadt), a loud caterwaller (franklin), vocal gymnastics (carey), listen to what I can do I get off on hearing myself sing ( houston) and american idol "range" talent...

by Anonymousreply 532February 20, 2022 11:58 AM

Oh dear. Imagine thinking that Miss Carpenter has range on par with the Aretha’s, Whitney’s, etc.

Then again, there are people in the world who call Brandy the Vocal Bible.

Clutches pearls.

by Anonymousreply 533February 20, 2022 12:39 PM

She was no Dinah Shore

by Anonymousreply 534February 20, 2022 4:38 PM

R529: "After the break, Julia Child joins us in the kitchen to whip up a batch of Karen's signature cocktail: ice water garnished with a celery twist!"

by Anonymousreply 535February 20, 2022 4:38 PM

I loved her very first sort-of hit, a remake of the Beatles "Ticket To Ride", done as a ballad. I remember Paul McCartney saying how good he thought it was. Actually, the more I think of it, the stuff on their earlier albums were more enjoyable. Check out the remake of "Baby It's You" on the Close To You album. Really, really good.

by Anonymousreply 536February 21, 2022 12:17 AM

Paul McCartney sucks ass. And sucks up to the press in his dotage. His ego is HUGE.

BUT - John Lennon famously stopped Karen outside a Los Angeles restaurant and said - "I just wanted to say that I love your voice, Love." Karen was with her manager that night and this story is famously true. And obviously before 1981.

by Anonymousreply 537February 21, 2022 5:58 AM

R526 = Richard

by Anonymousreply 538February 21, 2022 12:42 PM

Here is a clip of Karen singing in the kitchen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539February 22, 2022 3:53 AM

* Correction. She's lip syncing in the kitchen, R539. The Carpenters lip synced more than any other performers of their time. Once Karen was out from behind the drums - game over. Yes, they performed many concerts and did the Johnny Carson show. With less voice than people expected. Karen could pinch off a note or lose her legato. Not often. But for the last 7 years of their career did she ever sing *LIVE*? Bitch was weak.

Karen lip synced a medley/duet with the GREAT Ella Fitzgerald on a TV special while ELLA sang it LIVE!! How insecure is that? That's how great a "vocalist" Karen Carpenter was. She was a mike singer and a studio artist. She certainly knew how to sing - but her particular vocal production was weak outside the studio. Everyone knows this. Her control freak freaky brother ruined any chance she had of being a comfortable person on stage. Her voice does not have quite the same depth when she sings live - though she still has the same great clarity and tone. Richard Carpenter used to double, triple, Quad her vocals and then do it again. Over and over. He jerked off to his own drum in the studio. Just to get that signature sound. Too bad - because Karen sang just fine on her own. He built a legend around her voice - but she had to die first.

He's still jerkin off in a studio over some ancient syrup song of theirs as I type this.....

This is the real sound of Carpenters. Pretty Great. Musicians and singers and harmonics. But kind of collegiate. Free summer concert fare. The audience was not overly enthused. They needed all the studio help they could get. Not because they couldn't sing. But because they were dull performers who were hung up on bland vocal and physical perfection. See where that got you Karen? Dead. And insulting the greatest vocalist of them all - Ella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540February 22, 2022 4:28 AM

r540 you don't know shit and you forgot your trademark "ancient white fags" in your post. For someone who is allegedly educated in music your actual knowledge is appalling.

Karen usually sang live in concert, this has been well-documented.

by Anonymousreply 541February 22, 2022 4:31 AM

You're especially stupid R541. And very old.

by Anonymousreply 542February 22, 2022 4:48 AM

Kelly Clarkson sang this live on a Monday morning. Wtf!?! She's the best vocalist in the game. In most any genre. She gives a master class everyday to other people's songs. A great singer sings better LIVE. It's an emotional communication. As Whitney, Aretha, Kelly, Ella, Billie, Sarah, Annie Lennox, Beth Hart and Gladys Knight prove, erryday.

There are hundreds of better female singers than Karen Carpenter - all of them famous. Some old men just can't let go of their tears or the constant victim hood of long ago youth. Oh Karen sang live? No. Not if they could get away without doing it. She hated performing. And eating. She did like recording. Karen Carpenter was a victim - but to be honest their music is not memorable enough for anyone to mourn. She brought nothing to a live performance but bad fashion and X-Lax.

Karen had a very pretty recorded voice and 4 good songs. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543February 22, 2022 5:11 AM

Kelly Clarkson is her dead nane. She is Kelly Brianne now.

by Anonymousreply 544February 22, 2022 5:16 AM

r543 again you prove how ignorant you are. Karen Carpenter is widely regarded as one of the greatest female vocalists of the 20th Century. She and Richard took great effort to reproduce their studio sound in live performances, they were famous for doing this. Their songs have stood the test of time and are still well-known 50 years later. Honestly, you're just an idiot troll.

by Anonymousreply 545February 22, 2022 5:31 AM

Agnes Cuntenter was the cuntiest cunt who ever cunted!

by Anonymousreply 546February 22, 2022 5:32 AM

Carpenters were musical robots and emotional morons. This is how Richard answered the question about Ella Fitzgerald:

[quote]Was Karen not comfortable singing with ELLA on the soundstage for the MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC special, and so that is why she recorded her vocals in the studio, or was she not feeling she would sing well LIVE with all these newer songs to her? What did you and Karen think of working with Ella?

[quote]Ella, Perry, Sinatra, the old school singers, were never really asked to lip-sync, you just didn’t do that back then, and as a result they would not do it, were not comfortable with it, and would always sing live. Karen and I, being raised more as a record act, were very comfortable with recording and lip-syncing. We could listen to what we recorded then lip-sync it perfectly. Since we could do that we always preferred studio sound over live television sound; the sound was better to begin with, the microphones were better in the studio, and we mixed it the way we wanted it, having complete control over it in the studio. Then we would lip-sync it. It had nothing to do with being uncomfortable. Ella was fine to work with, and very sweet.

Jesus fucking Christ. They didn't deserve to be in the same room with Ella Fitzgerald - never mind PRETEND to sing with her.

This is why the Carpenters were jokes. Aside from a couple of Karen's most beautiful vocals - they still are.

by Anonymousreply 547February 22, 2022 5:48 AM

Keep beating that drum ancient white fags troll. But you're wrong. The Carpenters are respected as masterful creators of pop music and their songs have stood the test of time. Lip syncing on a set for a tv broadcast is pretty standard for performers. They all did it on Soul Train and American Bandstand, and also on variety specials and talk shows.

by Anonymousreply 548February 22, 2022 5:56 AM

For some reason the troll has a real hate hard-on for Karen Carpenter. How odd. But his mind is very addled.

by Anonymousreply 549February 22, 2022 5:56 AM

Just terrible and tasteless. Cheesy bad singing too. Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550February 22, 2022 5:57 AM

Somebody once said that when Ella Fitzgerald sang she sounded like she was looking for something at the bottom of her purse and that's all I can think about when I hear her. Not that she wasn't a good singer, it's just that mental image always appears.

by Anonymousreply 551February 22, 2022 5:58 AM

Karen's vocal on Still Crazy After All These Years has a great sense of languidness and louche detachment that's perfect for the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 552February 22, 2022 6:00 AM

Karen Carpenter was not one of the world's best vocalists and is on no such lists. Ella is number one, two or three on ALL of them.

by Anonymousreply 553February 22, 2022 6:02 AM

Carpenter's singing has attracted critical praise and influenced several significant musicians and singers, including Madonna, Sheryl Crow, Pat Metheny, Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, Shania Twain, Natalie Imbruglia, and k.d. lang.[4][95] Paul McCartney has said that she had "the best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive".[66] She has been called "one of the greatest voices of our lifetime" by Elton John.[1] In the BBC documentary Only Yesterday: The Carpenters Story, her friend Nicky Chinn said that John Lennon walked up to her at a Los Angeles restaurant and told her "I want to tell you love, that you've got a fabulous voice." Her drumming has been praised by fellow musicians Hal Blaine, Cubby O'Brien and Buddy Rich[96] and by Modern Drummer magazine. In 1975, she was voted the best rock drummer in a poll of Playboy readers, beating Led Zeppelin's John Bonham.[4]

by Anonymousreply 554February 22, 2022 6:07 AM

In 2010, Rolling Stone ranked Carpenter No. 94 on its list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time, calling her voice "impossibly lush and almost shockingly intimate", adding "even the sappiest songs sound like she was staring directly into your eyes".[1]

by Anonymousreply 555February 22, 2022 6:07 AM

LAME

by Anonymousreply 556February 22, 2022 6:11 AM

She's not playing the drums OR singing. The clothes are hideous and the background Waaah,aaah aah waahs are puerile. Karen was not as pretty as Richard, as their Mom would often say.

Her voice was sometimes haunting on record. But the arrangements most often ruin it on everything but This Masquerade and Rainy Days and Mondays. Karen was a homely chick with a California accent when she sang and a bit of a lisp. Zero charisma, no movement, emotion, sex or charm. She liked Rita Coolidge and Perry Como. EEK! They don't come any whiter than the Carpenters. This is just A record being played. Not even a fresh prerecord.

Don't say that's what everyone did. Real singers most often sang. Even on variety shows. And you know it. The Carpenters were a processed cheese product. Karen doesn't appear to feel anything. The quality of her voice just lent itself to sad ballads and big hips. That's why she sat behind the drums. Later came the HOOP skirts. Richard designed them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557February 22, 2022 6:39 AM

God what a tedious troll you are r557. Again your apparent musical education was a waste of time and money because your actual knowledge of music and singing is severely lacking. I mean, you actually praise Beyonce and Taylor Swift, of all people, as examples of great singing and talent. It's clear you know nothing and have a serious lack of taste.

by Anonymousreply 558February 22, 2022 6:53 AM

[quote]Don't say that's what everyone did. Real singers most often sang. Even on variety shows. And you know it.

False. Prerecorded vocals were the norm on lots of variety shows and definitely Soul Train and American Bandstand.

by Anonymousreply 559February 22, 2022 6:54 AM

Much like yourself R559, Karen Carpenter was non eventful in person and totally lacking sex appeal or presence. Though I am sure you are at least 15 years older than she would be, if she ate. The Carpenters were also delusional about their importance and defensive about their lack of stature. I see why you identify with them.

You are welcome to learn all you can from my posts. They are free here. But watch your mouth with me. 85 year old men are not exempt from retribution.

by Anonymousreply 560February 22, 2022 7:07 AM

Insanity isn't becoming r560. I'm actually a contemporary of yours, is your 1983 birthdate is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 561February 22, 2022 7:22 AM

[quote] The Carpenters were also delusional about their importance and defensive about their lack of stature.

Actually, you're wrong again. They let the criticisms slide and had a pretty good attitude about their place in the music world. Since they're still well-known and their catalog still sells 50 years later, they've obviously stood the test of time. There actually more revered and respected now than they were back then. Two things you'll never be, btw. But you already know that.

by Anonymousreply 562February 22, 2022 7:25 AM

[quote]You are welcome to learn all you can from my posts.

But there's nothing to learn. You're insane and a total fucking loser bitch.

by Anonymousreply 563February 22, 2022 7:26 AM

They would have had hits well into the '80s.

Not on the pop charts—although they would have crossed over occasionally—but as Adult Contemporary. That was a huge radio format through the '80s (inc. smooth jazz). Banks, lobbies, and elevators needed something to play. Gawd, those commercials haunted my childhood and dictated my parents' listening habits.

I remember my mother playing Julio Iglesias's album like every night in 1984-85. That's the spot they would have hit. Collaborations with country artists, etc.

by Anonymousreply 564February 22, 2022 7:46 AM

Why are you so obsessed with me R563? I'll never give it to you. You can't afford a hour of my expertise. You weren't born in 1983. You turned 42 in 1983. Change your diaper Karen. Night Nana.

by Anonymousreply 565February 22, 2022 7:46 AM

Particularly in the video at R75, Richard reminds me of my favorite straight porn star from the golden age, Kevin James (who was doomed to die young, just like Karen).

Man, that guy had the most perfect body and cock.

But I digress!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566February 22, 2022 7:59 AM

r564 is correct. The Carpenters would've ridden the Adult Contemporary wave that was huge in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 567February 22, 2022 2:02 PM

Karen should a run away from home and joined the Osmond family

by Anonymousreply 568February 22, 2022 2:39 PM

David Foster or Arif Mardin would have been great producers for Karen. She would have excelled with material like Wind Beneath My Wings.

by Anonymousreply 569February 22, 2022 4:05 PM

Girl, R540 etc. is outta control! She unhinged! F&F and block her destabilizing ass!

by Anonymousreply 570February 22, 2022 4:42 PM

I think Karen's fans would have enjoyed hearing her on the big charity singles in the 80s.

Dionne's AIDS single "That's That Friends Are For" was a huge hit, as well as USA for Africa.

by Anonymousreply 571February 22, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote] again you prove how ignorant you are. Karen Carpenter is widely regarded as one of the greatest female vocalists of the 20th Century. She and Richard took great effort to reproduce their studio sound in live performances, they were famous for doing this. Their songs have stood the test of time and are still well-known 50 years later. Honestly, you're just an idiot troll.

Actually, you sound like the idiot troll. A nutty troll.

by Anonymousreply 572February 23, 2022 12:45 AM

Some people just prefer Cheese Whiz to Camembert.

by Anonymousreply 573February 23, 2022 12:52 AM

[quote] Their strength was Karen's melancholy songs sung in low alto. When they veered from that it was treacly.

That is true. Their best songs were when Karen was mournfully singing songs about feeling old and being alone and pining for love. She sounded ridiculous singing up tempo numbers.

by Anonymousreply 574February 23, 2022 12:53 AM

[quote] I think Karen's fans would have enjoyed hearing her on the big charity singles in the 80s. Dionne's AIDS single "That's That Friends Are For" was a huge hit, as well as USA for Africa.

That would have been an interesting twist. A charity song performed to help people who are starving, sung in part by a woman who was literally starving.

And another done for the benefit of people who were wasting away, featuring somebody who was also wasting away.

She could have sang on the records, AND received some of the benefit money!

by Anonymousreply 575February 23, 2022 1:05 AM

Looks like the ancient white fags troll just got off his shift at Popeye's.

by Anonymousreply 576February 23, 2022 1:10 AM

George Carlin had little sympathy for anorexics:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577February 23, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote] Looks like the ancient white fags troll just got off his shift at Popeye's.

She can continue posting here. Karen fans, head over to the new thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578February 23, 2022 1:20 AM

One of the best explanations of anorexia I've ever heard came from my therapist, who said that anorexia is often a rejection of the mother, whose traditional role is to feed her children.

Seems more than apt in Karen's case.

by Anonymousreply 579February 23, 2022 9:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!