Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Australia Still Locked Down?

I know they were sending out their troops to enforce the lockdown. What's happening now?

by Anonymousreply 231October 9, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] Is Australia Still Locked Down?

If one is from North, yes.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 3:20 AM

I'm in Sydney, Australia. Yes, our country has fallen.

Not sure where to start but here goes, our government is corrupt and sold us all out. Freedoms we thought we had have been nibbled at for decades, the slow creep of corruption into every facet of the system. This is Medical/Political/Governmental overreach in every way. They are breaking every law they can to enforce harsh draconian rules on a whole city, we've been locked down for months under emergency health orders that breach the Biosecurity act of 2015 in every way imaginable. People can't go more than 5kms from home, only places allowed are food/liquor stores, junk food and petrol stations. Police do target people and intimidate to enforce compliance even though public health orders do not supercede the biosecurity act. This has been 12 weeks and 5 more to go.

The gullible who took the jab thinking it would end things are starting to have buyer's remorse. Not all at once but the penny has dropped for many, more to follow no doubt. Even with our tight as can be censored internet if you look in the right places you find info, then more info, then it all adds up and you can't sleep at night knowing where this goes.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote]Is Australia Still Locked Down?

Who cares?!

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote] they were sending out their troops

Delivering food to people in quarantine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2021 3:39 AM

Rebel News has shown how draconian and capricious the lockdown measures have become. Australia once again a prison colony.

I feel sorry for my relatives in Sydney area.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 3:46 AM

[quote] draconian and capricious

Yes, the Delta Variant is draconian and capricious.

It comes and goes and kills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2021 3:50 AM

NSW is using 45 PCR cycles, which is an amplification of over 1 million times the value of a more reasonable 25 PCR cycles (220). Even their minimum baseline of 40 is insane.

They are looking literally 1 million times closer than would be reasonable to confirm infection in a symptomatic person (there’s no way so many of positive tests are symptomatic- and PCR doesn’t tell you if you are sick).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 4:14 AM

I'm not sure what you're saying, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 6:32 AM

R7 is saying that there is more chance of a false positive.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 6:41 AM

I wonder if I need to anxious about the New Long Covid seeing as how I'm so young, fit and healthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2021 7:08 AM

R2 I am so sorry to hear what is happening down under. I know the Overlords in America ( RED and BLUE) are salivating over this kind of control over citizens .

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2021 7:10 AM

Well. If everyone got the jab which the government fucked up on- I believe 15% only have been vaccinated ,then this would not be happening. Yes the Australian government is corrupt, but this whole business is down to not locking down quickly enough and not vaccinating. That's all. Sydney population in particular did not take it seriously enough. So it spread.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2021 8:27 AM

R12 Australia is currently at 70% first dose, and 45% double.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2021 8:30 AM

Oh wow. So they jumped up on double vaccination by 30% in two months? That's very impressive

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2021 8:52 AM

It seems there's a spike in cases every time there is one of these violent protests, so you have got to wonder whose side they are really on. 40% of the country is still unaffected, there are also protests going on in these places where they have been very few or no restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2021 8:55 AM

I'm in Queensland, and we are as free as a bird....within our state. But honestly, why on earth would you want to go south of the border?

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2021 9:30 AM

R14 Australia will be overtaking the UK vaccination rates in a few weeks at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2021 1:50 PM

Moderna is available as of today, starting another rush of vaccinations. Moderna is setting up to be produced in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2021 1:58 PM

Yes, we are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2021 2:01 PM

R2 [quote] Freedoms we thought we had have been nibbled at for decades. . .

You still have the freedom to go out and bash police.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2021 7:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2021 7:22 AM

Trust the Daily Mail to feed us anti-police hatred.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2021 7:33 AM

[quote] host of The Primodcast posted.

The Daily Mail mentions a 'Primodcast' but doesn't tell us what it is.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2021 7:39 AM

Look there are issues of Mental Health and Cancer as well as Covid. In South Australia we have masks we need to wear indoors as in restaurants and even at work when we have 0 cases. I mean WTF!!!

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2021 7:58 AM

Lovely Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2021 8:52 AM

More lockdowns, please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2021 8:54 AM

R25 That foolish woman wanted trouble and she got it.

She disobeyed the health orders, she made her illegal protest, she tried to break the police line. She wanted to fight.

And she got the consequences for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2021 9:00 AM

While the majority still believe in these lockdowns , a lot of people are getting frustrated by the whole thing. One of my best friends is unable to go further than 5 kilometres and spends all his time by himself , not seeing anyone. He is in NSW and has depression and is now in hospital for mental health. He is not the only one.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2021 9:32 AM

[quote] One of my best friends is unable to go further than 5 kilometres and spends all his time by himself

Why aren't you telephoning your best friend?

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2021 9:38 AM

Yes, because we have a huge number of dipshit anti-vaxxers and troublemakers like R2

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2021 9:42 AM

There is no reason why Australia won't make it to over 90% vaccinated by the end of the year.

However, it is inevitable that most people will come into contact with the Delta variant in the coming months. Vaccines are great but people with serious underlining conditions will still potentially be at risk of serious illness or death.

The states that are COVID free (about 2 fifths of the population of Australia) are on borrowed time.

Also have heard that NSW and Victoria will be stopping hotel quarantine by the start of December which will mean Australians from other states won't be able to return to the country as things stand now. Victoria are not taking overseas flights anyway, and NSW wants to put the medical and law enforcement resources into more useful purposes than hotel quarantine. Residents from NSW, Victoria & the ACT will be able to home quarantine. People from the other states will be stuck overseas until the virus is loose in their states.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2021 9:54 AM

[quote] anti-vaxxers

They seem to be centred around Byron Bay— where Chris Hemsworth has his mansion.

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2021 9:59 AM

Anti-vaxxers are thankfully a minority in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2021 10:04 AM

I don’t know any anti vaxxers tbh. But had enough of the lockdown, now that is a different story.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2021 10:20 AM

I found out today my asshole, abusive brother is an anti-vaxxer. Didn’t let anyone know before visiting my elderly mother. So yes, the morons are amongst us.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2021 10:30 AM

R34 Same here. And as much as I am sick of lockdown I would personally rather wait until 90% of people are fully vaccinated.

But NSW & Victoria are wedged. So many businesses are suffering and soon the suffering will be the unvaccinated on a mass scale along with health care workers (who are already suffering).

At the end of the day most of the world have gone through this and there is nothing special about Australians.....just the states that have no COVID cases need to keep it out for as long as they can.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2021 10:31 AM

wow that's really fucked up! i hope you guys vote the cunts out of office.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2021 10:50 AM

Yes, we are in Week #12 of lockdown in Sydney. Melbourne is having a harder time because they've been through more lockdowns than we have. Other states and territories are doing better.

NSW is doing well with the vaccination rollout (now, anyway).

Some of us can go 10km from where we live. If you are in an "area of concern" (aka hotspot; there are 12 in the western part of the Sydney metro-area), you can't go beyond 5km. The restrictions started to ease last week. But we have to get to 70% double-dose in order for more restrictions to ease, which will happen in about mid-October. Once we hit 80%, more restrictions will ease. Lots of people aren't following the rules because they're fed up, though.

However, most importantly, our ICU's are overrun and ambos are ramping in cues outside. It's not pretty and it would be uglier without the restrictions. The government isn't spending enough money on managing this crisis, as things like contact tracing have pretty much been thrown out the window because the system is overwhelmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2021 11:04 AM

R38 On top of that the NSW Government have plenty of ventilators and ICU beds but they don't have the staff to man them.

I haven't sent Gladys an email in more than a week telling her very bluntly what I think of her, her party, the useless Kerry Chant and her useless health Minister Brian Hazzard. Must tap another one out tomorrow if I get a chance.

Not locking Sydney down the day the limo driver was diagnosed is unforgivable, not to mention that he wasn't legally required to be vaccinated or even wear a mask. Over 200 dead so far and has cost the NSW economy more than $19 billion dollars (as of last week).

Not to mention that it spread to the ACT, Victoria & New Zealand.

Fasten your seatbelts fellow Sydneysiders......it's going to be a very rocky next couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 11:40 AM

[quote] I haven't sent Gladys an email in more than a week telling her very bluntly what I think of her

R39 Did you say the same thing in all those emails?

Did you get an email in response?

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 11:45 AM

R40 I've said different things and didn't ask for a response, except for one which I have been advised as been sent to Brad Hazzard's Department - I don't expect a response.

Three rules when I send emails to politicians:

1) I never use bad language

2) I never make threats

3) I never say anything that could be libellous

She wouldn't see any of them of course and they are all probably scanned for anything threatening, etc.

Some are rather nasty. Probably the nastiest was that I hope she died of cancer. That was all I said in one of the emails. And hardly an original wish as I lifted that line from Martin Scorsese's The King of Comedy.

I've sent her one worded emails 'Resign'.

Other emails calling for her the sack Kerry Chant - after all Gladys says she follows the health advice and clearly that advise was not very sound.

Stuff like that. I'm probably on the 'nutter list' so to speak but I'm beyond giving a shit. And I provide my name and address and I stand by all the statements I have sent to her. I would be prepared to defend everything I have sent her on live TV.

Her arrogance has done so much damage not just to NSW, but Australia & New Zealand. Doubt she'll be around by the time the next election comes around - she'll resign closer to that date. The deaths, financial hardships and emotional toll on people will be very difficult to overcome.

Also, Chris Minns, the new leader of the State ALP seems good so far. And he doesn't come with the baggage of the Carr/Iemma/Kenneally ALP years.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 11:56 AM

Btw, I totally disagree with @R2, but whatever. Just another anti-vaxer. I’m in Sydney and of course it’s a complex issue. But to me this is largely a Federal Govt error, as they were / are arrogant and cheap. As Celeste Barbour puts it, They did the hard bit easy and the easy but hard. Early on, Australia was a shining example of success with covid management. But the Gov’t thought they are smarter than anyone else and so didn’t push vaccines, did buy enough of them and did a horrible job of messaging the whole program. The result is 13 weeks of lockdown and counting, at a cost of billions, increasing daily. The govt was offered extra vaccine doses early on and refused. The PM was running around saying that it wasn’t a race to get vaccinations moving. It’s been a disaster and totally avoidable. Very few countries got covid management right, we thought we were smarter than other countries. Turns out, not the case.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 12:47 PM

[Quote] Fasten your seatbelts fellow Sydneysiders......it's going to be a very rocky next couple of months.

I'll be staying in my 5km radius.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 12:58 PM

I’d rather be locked down than dead.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 1:12 PM

I don’t understand Australia. First pissing off the French over nuclear subs. Now lockdown. Different parts make sense. Nothing ever adds up this country for me though.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 1:22 PM

It has been an open secret for a while that the Government was frustrated with the French submarine project. It was supposed to employ Australians and give jobs for them as well, didn’t happen. The costs blew out long ago and the price went up and up and the time for completion grew longer and longer. Before this happened some people believe the Government was trying to shop around and were disatisfied.

Look with the vaccines, if you look at the countries that didn’t get them fast , it seems to be many countries that didn’t get high rates of Covid at the beginning. So South Korea, Taiwan , New Zealand and Australia fall into that, whereas countries that were struck hard took up the vaccine fast.

I also blame the Media. When AstraZeneca came out we got early supplies but the Media kept telling people all the problems that occurred with it like blood clots. What they didn’t put out was that blood clots were also a feature of Covid and were worse.

I remember in June/ July many people I spoke too were like let’s wait and see if a better one comes along. Then Covid really hit NSW and everyone was like WTF let’s take it. But many people still had the thought, we can lock down forever and saw no problem with doing that.

Even this 90% Vaccine rate is controversial. The Federal Government wanted 70% -80% and then start opening up, but some State Governments have insisted they want 90% and New Zealand says everyone 100% vaccination. It is becoming insane.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote] Not locking Sydney down the day the limo driver was diagnosed is unforgivable, not to mention that he wasn't legally required to be vaccinated or even wear a mask. Over 200 dead so far

R39, what's the story on this?

I'm not from Australia, so I've never heard of it. But it sounds interesting.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 3:12 PM

R46 is just that Australia seems to do the bidding of the US. Remember the Iraq war. “Jump! How high sir?”

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote] I haven't sent Gladys an email in more than a week telling her very bluntly what I think of her

Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 5:28 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 21, 2021 2:36 AM

Oh, R41!

[quote] I'm probably on the 'nutter list' so to speak but I'm beyond giving a shit.

by Anonymousreply 51September 21, 2021 2:56 AM

Never underestimate the power of bogans in this country. Scott Morrison is a bogan himself, so he probably should have understood his people better.

Bogans are the engine that drives the economy here, and they know it. They are not sensitive, they are not smart. And they are tired of having their voices stifled for the benefit of migrants, trans, vaccers. Most bogans are uneducated, and many if not most have drug dependency and/or mental health issues. It has been a powderkeg waiting to go off for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2021 4:17 AM

Are bogans the equivalent of white trash?

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 4:38 AM

R47 Basically what happened was the NSW State Government where hiring limo drivers to drive airline workers and diplomats who had arrived from overseas from the airport to hotel quarantine accomodation where they would spend 14 days until proven COVID free.

However, there was no requirement for the limo drivers to be vaccinated or to even wear a mask. In the case of vaccination I can understand that as there was a shortage and a long list of people who needed to be vaccinated back in June. However, not to have masks mandated for these drivers was a gross oversight on the NSW Department of Health.

So the limo driver not only picked up some international arrivals but picked up some COVID and worst still the Delta variant. It was on Wednesday 15th June that it was reported in the media that a driver had picked up the COVID infection.

Blame was thrown at him (unfairly) and sections of the media even released his name and photo. Very unfair when legally he had not done anything wrong. I think the guy was stupid for not wearing a mask but he didn't break any laws and the responsibility of this COVID breakout lies with the NSW Department of Health. Brian Hazzard (aka Hazzard by name hazard by nature) should have resigned but of course hasn't.

What happen then is that the virus spread through some sections of Eastern Sydney and was brought under control but in the meantime an individual who was infected by one of the numerous people who it had spread to went to a birthday party in South Western Sydney which was attended by about 40 people. I must stress that this person didn't no anything wrong and the birthday party was not a breach of any regulations or laws. That birthday party became a super spreading event which engulfed South Western and Western Sydney, spreading to most parts of regional NSW, the ACT, Melbourne and regional Victoria and New Zealand.

Major, major fuck up that nobody in the Health Department of the Minister himself has or will accept responsibility for.

Since then the rules for limo drivers has been tightened and they must wear a mask though I don't know what their vaccine status must be, but it is all too late.

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2021 5:10 AM

R53 They are generally working-class, Euro descendants of both sexes. Sometimes, they are seen as rough, uncouth, ignorant, or uneducated. Often they will work in construction, manufacturing, as tradies, or in menial jobs (sometimes well paid).

Generally, they do pretty well, and live in less desirable areas where their spare time revolves around sports, drinking, drugs, sex, and socialising with other bogans.

I say they are generally working-class but some work in high-end management, like banking or government. Some old-money types are like this too.

by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2021 5:11 AM

R55 You'd be surprised who many work in the high ranks of Federal Public Service.

And the things that some of them get away with that us ordinary people would be hauled over hot coals for. Including the high ranking female bogans who bully staff.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 5:14 AM

That's terrible, R54.

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 5:27 AM

R53 Bogans are typically blue collar folks. Some are definitely trashy. I think by the US equivalent of 'white trash'; that is someone with no redeeming features at all to society or anybody may be a little bit harsh.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 9:12 AM

[quote]When AstraZeneca came out we got early supplies but the Media kept telling people all the problems that occurred with it like blood clots.

There where problems with AZ and blood clots R46, several people died from it. It doesn't help that AZ vaccination age range was changed several times. The under 50 years old were supposed to get Pfizer because AZ was too dangerous for under 50 year olds, because of the blood clotting issue. Then an over 50 y old woman died from blood clots because of AZ too and everybody under 60 was supposed to get Pfizer, which we still didn't have because Morrison deliberately refused and delayed the ordering.

Then delta hit, cases in the hundreds in just a few weeks and all of a sudden AZ was safe for everybody over 18. No wonder people didn't want AZ.

Morrison got himself 2 Pfizer jabs at 53, btw.

Totally incompetent and corrupt government.

Insiders warned the liberals that there were going to be cost blow outs and delays with the French submarines. The reason the gov went ahead anyway was because they wanted to win voters in South Australia.

Total mess!

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 9:59 AM

R59 Just for the record Anthony Albanese (57) got Pfizer too.

Former PM Julia Gillard (59), NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian (50), Federal Health Minister Greg Cunt....I mean Hunt (55) and a host of others got AZ.

Annastacia Palaszuzuk (51) got Pfizer because she had to rush off to Japan for the Olympics (she is appalling and as stupid as Scott Morrison, make no mistake about that). This was when AZ was still recommended for over 50s.

The only reason that the age limited for AZ dropped was because the risk of dying from COVID as opposed to AZ had increased due to the Delta outbreak. Had that not occurred the age recommendation for AZ would not have been lowered.

WA, SA, QLD & NT are now allowing Pfizer shots for over 60s. What a joke - none of those areas bar South East QLD are under any immediate threat and those shots should be going into younger peoples arms.

Younger people were asked last year to make enormous sacrifices to help protect older people which they did. Then a small number of oldies didn't return the favour and go out and get the AZ shot when it was available to them, spat the dummy and demanded Pfizer. Fuck those selfish old fuckers.

I am 58 and got AZ as soon as I could.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 10:25 AM

My memory is poor, so I don’t know which of any restrictions were put in place the first week or so. But I do recall thinking what the fucking hell are people doing having a huge birthday party in the west. The alarm had been sounded. It was selfish and stupid to hold that party at a minimum.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 12:14 PM
by Anonymousreply 62September 21, 2021 12:16 PM

The problem is that Morrison deliberately stalled ordering Pfizer, R60. Nobody would have a problem with him having his 2 Pfizer jabs if he had ordered the same vaccine for every Australian.

But no, he didn't do that. The problem with AZ and blood clots was known in February-March. Some 8 people died from it. It was also known that mRNA vaccines had a higher efficacy than AZ.

by Anonymousreply 63September 21, 2021 12:52 PM

R61 The birthday party in West Hoxton took place after the limo driver's positive case was publicly announced but before any restrictions came into effect.

The first restrictions came into effect one and half week after the limo drivers COVID case (a Wednesday), then the following Friday week the LGAs for Sydney CBD and Eastern Suburbs when placed on lockdown from 6.00.

The following day (Saturday) the idiot Government locked down all of Sydney. The birthday party the set us on the terrible course we are know on I believe was on the Friday night of the same week that the limo driver tested positive.

Here is some dreadful reading relating to how badly Sydney Hospitals are (not) coping with the COVID outbreak. It's very depressing reading and keep in mind that NSW does have the best health services in Australia so the situation will be even worse once it hits the other states. And then there are the regional areas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 2:40 PM

Oz will open up her borders sometime in November 2021, but only for fully vaccinated citizens and permanent residents. International travel will follow sometime later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 1, 2021 8:25 AM

This will all end in tears (and deaths on a mass scale).

by Anonymousreply 66October 1, 2021 8:44 AM

Well the premier Agnes is out now. I knew it was going to happen though.

by Anonymousreply 67October 1, 2021 9:27 AM

^Im sorry I meant Gladys..

by Anonymousreply 68October 1, 2021 9:28 AM

"Australia is set to announce new “no jab, no pay” rules for all health workers in a move that is set to inflame tensions with anti-vaxxers."------->>The U.S. needs to follow suit. Why are we being held hostage by the minority unvaxxinated?...We could have been done with this pandemic if it weren't for them...Fire Them. Ridicule Them. Shame Them. I am also tired of watching politicians beg them to get the shot...Ohio is starting ANOTHER lottery to convince the hillbillies..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 1, 2021 9:32 AM

[quote] Gladys..

I'm sorry she lost her hob for sleeping with dishonest dog.

by Anonymousreply 70October 1, 2021 9:38 AM

Yes indeed maybe a lottery will persuade those hillbillies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 1, 2021 9:38 AM

I'm still processing Gladys' exit. After the tornado in Bathurst, thunderstorms all over, international travel (with one week quarantine at home) opening up at 80% double-dose, it has been quite a day.

by Anonymousreply 72October 1, 2021 9:38 AM

I can't help but feel sad for Gladys. Despite her major fuckup with COVID (not locking down Sydney the day the limo driver tested positive), she has for an LNP leader been pretty progressive and spent a fortune on infrastructure which will be nothing but a big plus for Sydney for decades to come.

She is by far the most competent leader NSW has had since Neville Wran. Ironically, they have both been tarred by corruption allegations. Wran was never able to be pinned down and Gladys may come out of this OK, but I somehow doubt it. And in Wran's case it is only after his death that we have found out he probably knew after the fact of the true nature of the fire that took the lives of 6 children & 1 adult in June 1979 and chose to do nothing about it because of his corrupt links to crime boss Abe Saffron.

by Anonymousreply 73October 1, 2021 9:50 AM

She didn't lose her job. She is being investigated by the Independent Commission Against Corruption. The normal procedure in such a case is to stand aside and resume your job when you are found innocent. She chose to resign, not only from the Premiership but from Parliament altogether. There is no election till March 2023 so there was no political imperative to do this.

She is being investigated for improper use of government funds (channelling them to electorates held by her Party regardless of need in general, and to her boyfriend's electorate in particular); and for breaches of public trust around not acknowledging her relationship for 5 years with someone who is being investigated Very Thoroughly for large-scale corruption; and around being very evasive when asked how much she knew about his activities. There is a written Code of Conduct for Parliamentarians and she's breached it all over the place. As Premier with a boyfriend who was a Member of Parliament, she immediately had numerous conflicts of interest. Not to be transparent about such things is deeply unethical, if not actually corrupt. Added to that, it is clear from the police recordings we have heard that she had a good idea he was up to financial dealings she didn't want to know about. You have to remember that as head of the Party in NSW she was his boss, and by not asking him to clarify what he was doing and having him arrested, or at the very least telling him to stop and having some senior person investigate to ensure he had, she was condoning fraud by one of her team, while keeping the rest of the team in the dark.

She is NOT being investigated for dating a bozo.

Wran also left extremely quickly and with no explanation, by the way. He was a great Premier in most other respects, and can take a lot of the credit for the enlightened way NSW approached AIDS, but there was a lot of high-level corruption back then so any speedy exit would raise eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 74October 1, 2021 11:08 AM

Carr left quickly too but nobody cared and most were glad to see the do-nothing creep go. I suppose he saw the writing on the wall and left whilst everything appeared to be going well. It all started turning to shit for the ALP once Morris Iemma took over the leadership and the demise of the ALP would not have taken 16 years had the LNP been such an incompetent opposition.

Whilst credit can certainly go the Wran on lots of social issues including AIDS, most the the initiatives in relation to how to deal with AIDS where determined at the Federal level and by the then Health Minister at the time, Neil Blewett, one of the very few genuine decent people in Australian politics.

And speaking of AIDS and Australia does make me ponder what would have been if Fraser had won the 1983 Federal Election. I suspect we'd have been in the same sorry mess as many other countries. Fraser a do-nothing but wind back the clock PM did nothing to further social issues and was hell bent on reducing the rights of workers.

by Anonymousreply 75October 1, 2021 11:29 AM

She should have said NO to Morrison, like other premiers did, when he pressured her to not lock down.

Was she so love starved to give this ugly Daryl bloke the 5.5 million grant? I don't get why she risked her career, which she obviously worked very hard for, for some shady low level MP.

by Anonymousreply 76October 1, 2021 11:40 AM

All the stuff that has come out since about Ian McDonald and Eddie Obeid was happening under Carr. Most likely he just didn't notice. Too busy contemplating his own greatness.

I agree many kudos are due to Neal Blewett, but I know that Wran insisted NSW's reaction to AIDS be based entirely on medical advice and would have nothing to do with having it circumscribed by the anti-gay backlash. Sydney was where the worst of the epidemic, and therefore the generalised fear of it, were. Remember that it was Wran who had previously introduced the Act that legalised homosexuality in NSW. He brought it as a private member's Bill, which means it was seen to be his own and not the Party's.

by Anonymousreply 77October 1, 2021 11:56 AM

[quote] Fraser a do-nothing

The Multicultural Laws were enacted during his time.

by Anonymousreply 78October 1, 2021 12:02 PM

R76 I think she might have been cock struck - Daryl is no oil painting but Gladys may not have had much experience over the years and was making bad decisions between her legs. Sorry to be so crude but I can't help feeling that has something to do with it. And it is our loss because she was reasonably competent compared most of the hideous leaders NSW has has. Let's face it we haven't had a have decent leader before Gladys since Neville Wran and that is a long time ago.

I know she dropped the ball with COVID but prior to the fuck up in June she had done a really good job and I think it is important for people of Australia to remember if they don't already know that the lockdown we had that began in March 2020 was all due to Gladys and Dan Andrews basically telling Morrison they were locking their states down which led Morrison to have a national lockdown.

That fat ugly whore from QLD and loudmouth Mark McGowan (who has let the WA health system run into the ground since he has been leader) owe Gladys and Dan each a big thank you for what they did in March 2020. I know Dan & Gladys have made mistakes but they have much larger populations and actually better health care systems than the rest of Australia - which is fucked when Delta hits them because it is coming. The stupid fat slag in QLD hasn't even placed South East QLD into lockdown which they clearly need because she is so determined for a fucking football match to take place. Hope for the sack of the people of QLD that she hasn't screwed them over.

by Anonymousreply 79October 1, 2021 12:03 PM

R78 Possibly started by the previous Whitlam Government, though I don't know. SBS for example - that was an ALP plan that Fraser went through with and fucking Howard destroyed 20 years later. Fraser also tore down the free health care that the ALP had implemented.

Fraser is now praised for his handling of 'boat people'. But at the time it simply wasn't a public issue. The media never made an issue of asylum seekers and neither did the ALP.

I would bet that had Fraser not be Prime Minister until Howard got to be leader that he would have behaved exactly the same way in relation to Tampa and Asylum seekers. Fraser was a fucking NAZI. Plus there is 11 November 1975. Lest we forget.

by Anonymousreply 80October 1, 2021 12:09 PM

Thanks, R2.

by Anonymousreply 81October 1, 2021 12:10 PM

R77 Bob Carr is a hideous person. I find it hard to believe that he was not aware of the corrupt behaviour of certain members in his party but I do concede he was obsessed with his own 'greatness'. Talk about self deluded.

I find it interesting that Bob Carr & Malcolm Turnbull were previous business partners of Neville Wran. As much as I admire much of what Neville Wran did for NSW, Carr & Turnbull involved with Wran in business matters does causes ones eyebrows to raise. Probably all harmless but Wran wasn't known as Nifty Neville for nothing.

But politics is a dirty gain and it is hard to find many that can sleep straight in bed across all political parties.

by Anonymousreply 82October 1, 2021 12:16 PM

[quote] The stupid fat slag in QLD

Yes, Annastacia isn't very appealing.

But there's something repellant yet disgustingly sexy about Deputy Premier Steven Miles. Sometimes he wears pants to the press conferences which are so tight you'd need two hands to grab his package.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 1, 2021 12:17 PM

R83 Can't stand Steven Miles either. Apparently there is tension between him and Annastacia because she is getting him to deliver bad news a bit too often and he is getting sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 84October 1, 2021 12:19 PM

You wouldn't see homely Gladys doing incredibly DUMB things like this vain, douchey show-pony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 1, 2021 10:10 PM

Look at all the communists on this thread

by Anonymousreply 86October 1, 2021 10:40 PM

Can you name names, R86?

by Anonymousreply 87October 1, 2021 10:43 PM

Thank goodness this evil, lying, corrupt, treasonous, NWO princess has "resigned." She should be in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 2, 2021 2:22 AM

Aussies, know that at least a small portion of Los Angeles has your back. I driving on Olympic. At the corner of Century Park & Olympic right before you hit the Beverly Hills border, there we're about 20 people out protesting with bull horns to "Free Australia" and to end your imprisonment. I don't know who the organizers are, but we got you!

by Anonymousreply 89October 2, 2021 2:27 AM

R86 I guess you're talking about R88 who has linked to something which looks like an Anarchist/Satanist website and quite irrelevant to Australia now.

by Anonymousreply 90October 2, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote] Mark McGowan (who has let the WA health system run into the ground since he has been leader)

Mark McGowan may be miserly, but he is probably the first non-corrupt WA state Premier since 2001 and Labour's Geoff Gallop and frankly, Mark has done a wonderful job of keeping his state safe.

WA had to recently put up with the supremely corrupt combination of Liberal Premier Colin Barnett and Treasurer Troy Buswell (who liked to sniff at chairs after ladies sat in them). Barnett and Buswell almost managed to bankrupt WA by losing the state's AAA credit rating, and this was during the peak of the mining boom. Corruption has always run rife and extremely deep during WA's Liberal administrations, though others like Labor's inept Carmen Lawrance were just as bad in their own ways.

by Anonymousreply 91October 2, 2021 3:36 AM

R91 Well, two points in his favour 1) keeping COVID out 2) not being corrupt.

I have a feeling he will make the move the Federal Politics some time in the near future (not the next election though).

by Anonymousreply 92October 2, 2021 6:21 AM

Does anyone else get a Crying Game vibe from Gladys?

by Anonymousreply 93October 2, 2021 6:48 AM

R93 Are you suggesting Gladys is a transvestite?

She may be homely but I think her homeliness, her humility, her gender, and her ethnicity have made a lots of voters sympathetic to her bad choice of men-friends.

by Anonymousreply 94October 2, 2021 6:54 AM

R94 The reality is most people don't give a fuck about the corruption allegations. We've seen it all a thousand times before and in the scheme in of things it seems pretty minor compared to burning children alive in a ghost train ride at an amusement park.

by Anonymousreply 95October 2, 2021 7:04 AM

R95 = #ScottyfromMarketing praying to Lord Jesus Christ there will never be a federal body investigating the multiple corruption incidents he was involved.

by Anonymousreply 96October 2, 2021 7:26 AM

[quote] the multiple corruption incidents

What? where? when?

by Anonymousreply 97October 2, 2021 7:43 AM

R79 The Qld premier and chief health officer of Qld are very much liked and admired in their own state.

If there were doubts about the Delta strain in SEQ they would lock down immediately, irrespective of the NRL final. Today's 2 locally transmitted results surely don't warrant a lock down.

However if it worsens tomorrow and there is a lock down in SEQ, I'm sure you'll have no concerns about continuing your juvenile, sexist, weight shaming agenda.

by Anonymousreply 98October 2, 2021 8:49 AM

R98 QLD needs to secede.

As for Jeannette Young she set the whole countries AZ vaccination jab campaign back with unhelpful comments. She has been widely and correctly criticised for her comments several months ago. Hard to believe that the creepy old thing is under 60 - looks over 80. She is widely disliked outside of QLD but QLD is like another country.

by Anonymousreply 99October 2, 2021 8:54 AM

The person assisting chief health officer of Qld is named Yvette D'Ath which is modified spelling to mean Yvette Death

by Anonymousreply 100October 2, 2021 8:59 AM

R96 The level of corruption at the Federal level of politics is much smaller than at the State and Local levels simply because there is less opportunity for Federal members to indulge themselves.

However, many Federal members have been responsible for some of the most appalling decisions that have had very negative effects on many peoples lives. Robodebt being a recent prime example, which hopefully if the ALP win the next election (and I see no reason why they won't - bye, bye Scumo) we will have a Royal Commission into the whole scandal. I do suspect the politicians involved in letting that fiasco happen will wiggle their way out of it but I would love to see cunt Kathryn Campbell, appointed so lovingly by Julia Gillard in 2012 to head up Human Services, take the fall for the Robodebt debacle like she richly deserves to. She has clearly misled Parliament on numerous occasions at Senate Estimates committee's and is openly hostile to the ALP - they will/should pay her back big time. It's all on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 101October 2, 2021 9:00 AM

I've seen references to Queensland as the 'Florida' of Australia.

by Anonymousreply 102October 2, 2021 9:02 AM

R102 They are true.

by Anonymousreply 103October 2, 2021 9:04 AM

Gold Coast is like Miami and Orlando combined.

by Anonymousreply 104October 2, 2021 9:44 AM

R91 Less common in the Mark McGowan era, very common during Liberal state leadership. There has been a culture of Liberal rorting in WA back to Robert Holmes à Court and beyond.

The latest incident as an example. Around $22 million (some say up to $60m) of public sector money stolen by ONE public servant to fund his racehorse habit, his huge mansion in Perth's most expensive area, and what looks to be his gay lover. This was using money earmarked for Aboriginal housing projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 2, 2021 9:54 AM

R104 - Gold Coast is no melting pot. Gold Coast = Daytona Beach. Brisbane = Jacksonville.

by Anonymousreply 106October 2, 2021 10:00 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 2, 2021 10:07 AM

The Gold Coast and much of Brisbane will be all under water in a few decades.

by Anonymousreply 108October 2, 2021 10:08 AM

How does the US side of datalounge see the new military alliances of AUKUS (AUS, UK, US) and QUAD (India, Japan, US, Australia)?

by Anonymousreply 109October 2, 2021 10:19 AM

It's amazing Biden signed off on AUKUS. It's pretty much the only Trump project he followed through on. A very smart move, though the ham-handled diplomacy with France at the end was unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 110October 2, 2021 10:34 AM

France and the US are already repairing relations. That is not the case with Australia though and I don't think that will happen until we have a change of Government next year (I hope).

The whole French submarine deal was a dud but what can one expect from Abbott & Turnbull who arranged it all. And of course stupid clueless Morrison could not even handle how to tell France, though I admit I would not have liked to have been in that position. But still he dropped the ball in diplomacy big time which was of no surprise to anybody.

by Anonymousreply 111October 2, 2021 10:44 AM

"To be clear I have opposed the French submarine deal since the outset - its motive was entirely political to sustain votes in SA,I had seen ests that final cost of $90 billion contract could become near $500 billion with construction cost blowouts and operating expenses."

John Hewsom via twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 2, 2021 11:24 AM

*Hewson

by Anonymousreply 113October 2, 2021 11:25 AM

QUAD had been in the planning since even before Obama became presidet. Iirc, Obama was furious when Turnbull sold that Darwin port to China for 100 years.

by Anonymousreply 114October 2, 2021 11:28 AM

R112 I mostly loath John Hewson but he was right on this.

by Anonymousreply 115October 2, 2021 12:03 PM

[quote]Gold Coast is like Miami and Orlando combined.

More like Jacksonville and Daytona.

by Anonymousreply 116October 2, 2021 12:15 PM

Who is going to replace Gladys in NSW?

by Anonymousreply 117October 2, 2021 8:13 PM

Check out this reaction to Gladys' resignation. So good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 2, 2021 8:13 PM

R104 THE Gold Coast

by Anonymousreply 119October 2, 2021 9:42 PM

R114 What on earth was Turnball thinking when he allowed that sale?

by Anonymousreply 120October 2, 2021 9:43 PM

Same thing when he signed that stupid submarine contract with France that many people from the start said would result in major cost blowouts and delays. I actually thought it was funny he was trying to spin himself out of responsibility and clear his name a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 121October 2, 2021 11:32 PM

R120 His ego. It's very big.

by Anonymousreply 122October 2, 2021 11:39 PM

Who knew there were so many Aussies on Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2021 1:28 AM

R123 More than half the country is in lockdown so there isn't much else to do.

by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2021 1:30 AM

Abbott gone full on Trump with defending the Shrine of Remembrance protesters. It's pretty shocking how this toxic far right movement spreads to other western countries. Abbott was probably cheering on the mob that breached the Capitol on Jan 6th.

by Anonymousreply 125October 3, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote] movement spreads to other western countries

There's a very small part of the Australian population which has its own innate stupidity; it doesn't need to import someone else's ideology.

by Anonymousreply 126October 3, 2021 2:53 AM

[quote] More than half the country is in lockdown so there isn't much else to do.

I'm in the backyard slapping mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 127October 3, 2021 3:14 AM

The Melbourne protests definitely were inspired by the Capitol insurrection R126.

by Anonymousreply 128October 3, 2021 3:42 AM

R128 How can you assume that? Were you there throwing missiles that day?

That sounds like a conspiracy theory like those at R88 and R118

by Anonymousreply 129October 3, 2021 3:51 AM

R128 is making things up. The protestors were complaining g about the lack of freedoms and loss of income because of the horrendous shutdowns. God forbid Melboirne has two cases of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 130October 3, 2021 4:08 AM

r28 has the IQ of a Cocker Spaniel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 3, 2021 4:12 AM

r129 what's the "conspiracy theory" (anything that steps outside the "narrative"?) at [R88] and [R118] ? Live video from a pub here in Sydney is now a "conspiracy"? Do you support what's happening to our country? Wake the fuck up mate.

by Anonymousreply 132October 3, 2021 5:13 AM

[quote] Wake the fuck up mate.

OK, cobber!

by Anonymousreply 133October 3, 2021 5:46 AM

Oh come on Scotty @R129, everybody knows you would have preferred Trump.

by Anonymousreply 134October 3, 2021 5:48 AM

Hopefully Morrison will be gone soon, though like former exPMs get on the whinging trail.

I'm sick to death of hearing former PMs giving there views on everything. Turnbull and Rudd are by far the worst. They are critical of things that when they were in office failed to act on. They may have tried (climate change is a good example) but they FAILED as leaders. They need to shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 135October 3, 2021 6:10 AM

the new Gladys Dominic Perrottet remnds me of someone. David Cronenberg?

by Anonymousreply 136October 3, 2021 7:35 AM

R136 He is a crazy right-wing religious nut job.

by Anonymousreply 137October 3, 2021 7:40 AM

vote is on Australian Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 138October 3, 2021 7:44 AM

R138 Or you mean Wednesday Australian time to determine the leader. However, it is a given that the religious nut-job will get the job.

by Anonymousreply 139October 3, 2021 8:04 AM

R136 There's a 40 year age difference.

R137 Are you affected by his alleged beliefs?

Do you want to have an abortion or commit euthanasia?

by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2021 8:10 AM

R140 Oh do fuck off. People have the right to decide if they want an abortion or to end their life legally provided they fit the legal criteria (which otherwise means going down an unpleasant path).

You sound like the loonies running Texas.

by Anonymousreply 141October 3, 2021 8:20 AM

With an unbelievable 245 days, Melbourne is now the world's most locked-down city.

I do feel sorry for all the people who moved to Melbourne expecting it to be some kind of woke paradise.

It almost feels like we are back in the 90s again. This is the real draconian, controlling, conservative city Melbourne always has been throughout its whole history until about 15-20 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 3, 2021 10:10 AM

Can people leave Australia to travel?

by Anonymousreply 143October 3, 2021 10:22 AM

No, there is still currently a ban on international travel for people who don't have an exemption.

by Anonymousreply 144October 3, 2021 10:26 AM

R144 But if you are rich or famous you can come and leave as you like.

by Anonymousreply 145October 3, 2021 10:40 AM

Vaccinations will now be required by law for the following exhaustive list of occupations in Victoria by October the 15th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 3, 2021 10:41 AM

I'm getting a third vaccine shot next week. Had my first in June, second in September and they said fine that I wanted a third. What the hell, there doesn't seem to be any negative effects from multiple shots.

by Anonymousreply 147October 3, 2021 10:44 AM

R147, how do you know? A lot of people will scoff at multiple boosters

by Anonymousreply 148October 3, 2021 10:58 AM

Some good news with NSW recording only 667 new cases today, a sharp decline from the over 1000 cases per day last week.

by Anonymousreply 149October 3, 2021 11:27 AM

R148 If it is good enough for anti vaxxers to reject the vaccine outright, it's my right the have extra shots if I want - and pay for them too.

Trying to lessen my chances of getting sick and spreading the wretched disease onto others. Just one of numerous measures I am taking.

by Anonymousreply 150October 3, 2021 12:33 PM

I have a friend in Malta who has has 3 shots but says his country is no longer in lockup.

by Anonymousreply 151October 3, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote]It's amazing Biden signed off on AUKUS. It's pretty much the only Trump project he followed through on. A very smart move, though the ham-handled diplomacy with France at the end was unfortunate.

Australian comedian Celia Paquola pointed out that they couldn't include France in the alliance because then it would have to be called FUKUS.

by Anonymousreply 152October 3, 2021 1:03 PM

It was picnic day today in Sydney. Glorious spring weather and up to five fully vaccinated adults, plus unvaccinated children under 12 are allowed to socialise outdoors within 5kms of their homes. I rode my bike up the Cooks River towpath to meet some old workmates in Tempe and so many groups were meeting up and socialising. I'm doing another bike ride and picnic tomorrow. Things are starting to feel a bit more normal. It's nice not to hear ambulance sirens all day and night.

by Anonymousreply 153October 3, 2021 1:15 PM

Celia is hilarious on Have You Been Paying Attention. There's no they could pull off a US version of that show.

by Anonymousreply 154October 3, 2021 1:58 PM

I'm perplexed by some Australian lefties who think we should play nice with China. Yes there are risks having an alliance with the US, there's no way to predict that Biden and Dems can keep congress and the White House. The GQP is like a Nazi party hell bent on destroying democracy in the US. But the US is the only country with enough fire power to pushback on China if things get really hairy down here.

by Anonymousreply 155October 3, 2021 9:59 PM

Zero Covid New Zealand brings in MORE lockdowns as Delta outbreak spreads beyond Auckland - which has been locked down for one-and-a-half months in attempt to eliminate virus

Ardern announced 32 new cases in Auckland, and two in the Waikato region

Parts of the region will now enter a five-day lockdown to combat Delta spread

Government will decide whether to extend Auckland's lockdown on Monday

Ardern has said measures can be relaxed if 90% of population is vaccinated

So far, the figure stands at around 46 per cent

by Anonymousreply 156October 3, 2021 10:09 PM

Australians are low intelligence

by Anonymousreply 157October 3, 2021 10:20 PM

^^ Oh, the irony!

by Anonymousreply 158October 3, 2021 10:24 PM

R158, is an inbred loser

by Anonymousreply 159October 3, 2021 10:27 PM

Is Queensland the Texas of Australia? or is it WA?

by Anonymousreply 160October 4, 2021 9:37 AM

I can't believe there are Aussie and Kiwi posters on here who just want to open everything up the like the rest of the world when you have so far stopped the virus that the rest of the world couldn't. 2000 per million dead in US and Europe versus 50 in Australia and just 5 in NZ. You literally have a statistical cautionary tale surrounding you; can you wait a couple more weeks. until you get to 80%+ vaccinated.

Or, which family members amongst a 15,000 newly dead fellow citizens would you like to offer up? Your nana? Your partner? A child? Kylie? Lorde?

If one sees a car crash on the other side of the road, sane people keep their seat belts on until they get home.

by Anonymousreply 161October 4, 2021 9:51 AM

R160 WA is Texas with lots of Indians.

by Anonymousreply 162October 4, 2021 9:54 AM

R161: if we get to pick from that list: 100% Lorde

by Anonymousreply 163October 4, 2021 9:55 AM

R161, the Covid death toll in Australia reached 1,000 last month. It's still statistically insignificant compared with most other countries, but it's not 50. New cases are still rising at the rate of around 1,500 a day in Victoria. They're falling in NSW, but we're going to start opening up next week with a whole-population fully vaxxed rate of only 56%, so that seems like a dumb decision when another couple of weeks in lockdown would have the current outbreak at manageable numbers.

The other side of the coin is that people, especially in Sydney and even moreso Melbourne, are starting to cease to cope with lockdown conditions and just disobey.

But the politicians are just being stupid who expect the small-population states to throw their borders open to the world, when they've experienced neither Covid nor any significant lockdown (apart from not being able to leave a State the size of a large country), and their vaccination rates are still well below 80%. Their economies will have suffered a bit, but not enough to make the citizenry feel they want to share NSW's or Victoria's pain. They're not suffering vaccine hesitancy, they're just casual about it because they're safe.

by Anonymousreply 164October 5, 2021 1:34 AM

The new NSW premier is Dominic Perrottet.

by Anonymousreply 165October 5, 2021 2:21 AM

R137 hates Dominic Perrottet.

But Perrottet is certainly looks pretty and delicate for the rough world of politicians and chronic liars.

by Anonymousreply 166October 5, 2021 2:27 AM

Wiki say he was opposed to the July lockdowns so it is now assumed he will bump up Freedom Day.

by Anonymousreply 167October 5, 2021 2:31 AM

We have together the economy MOVING!!

I've been wearing winter rags for the last 3 months because I couldn't get winter clothes at the clothes stores!

by Anonymousreply 168October 5, 2021 2:34 AM

R164 Problem is the small population states (bar QLD) are simply not able to cope with even a small outbreak of COVID. They really need to stay locked away from the rest of the country until they have at least 90% of the population 12 and over vaccinated. They'll be fucked even at those levels. One way or another the are on a course to great pain and suffering but better to hold it if for as long as possible.

Tasmania relies on Victoria a great deal and none of the smaller population states are equiped for complex medical issues.

Very specialist issues are mainly done in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to a lesser degree. There are a lot of people of who have died or faced great personal expense because of some real cold hearted decisions by the small states. A few of these stories make the news but most don't.

And once the virus hits WA, SA, Tassie, NT they can forget about assistance from NSW or Victoria because the healthcare workers are beyond exhaustion. They will be on their own and in the case of WA all of McGowan's own making because he has had 4 years to get the WA health system into shape and out of the mess that the previous LNP had gotten it into and he has done nothing about it so it is still operating at 90% capacity with emergency ambulances banked up outside Perth's hospitals several times a week.

WA & QLD need to get their vaccine levels up but I suppose people feel there is no urgency. If I was in Perth I could understand that but not QLD. With most of the population located in the South East near the NSW border Miss Delta will arrive well before Christmas.

As for NSW opening up we are well and truely fucked with the 'let it rip' Dominic Perrottet as leader now. Hope I'm proven wrong on that.

Interesting too how the virus is all over poor Melbourne which I suppose has something to do with lockdown fatigue plus they have a centralised health system. That odious cunt Jeff Kennett completely destroyed Victoria's healthcare network, though to be fair nobody since has done anything to really fix it.

And I am amazed how the NSW Government has been able to contain Delta within 12? LGAs. I know it has spread throughout the state but it is no rampage. A mixture of locking down (too late though) and decentralised health care system has helped this but the easing of restrictions is very worrying at this stage - I'd rather it was another month to have more people double vaxxed.

by Anonymousreply 169October 5, 2021 5:12 AM

Australia is doomed

by Anonymousreply 170October 5, 2021 5:25 AM

New Zealand to abandon elimination strategy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 5, 2021 5:27 AM

Hot weather is coming. Kununurra in the Pilbara has already recorded 40°C+ temperatures for 7 consecutive days, and that is pushing off the east towards Darwin and Brisbane. Personally, I can't wait for the heat to arrive this year.

by Anonymousreply 172October 5, 2021 7:46 AM

Covid is everywhere in regional NSW now.

by Anonymousreply 173October 5, 2021 11:08 AM

Be alert but not alarmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 5, 2021 11:17 AM

R174 I really don't know why they don't let Australian's (at least from NSW, Victoria & the ACT) come back and do home quarantine. I think Victoria have stopped International Flights already and NSW have halved them, but they may as well let people just come back and quarantine at home and shut down hotel quarantine. I know that leaves people from the smaller states wanting to return with far less options but the resources like police, security, armed services and health workers can be better used elsewhere.

And though people returning are supposed to pay for their quarantine lots of them aren't are the other states are under no legal obligation to pay for them. The WA & QLD Governments have shown so much disdain for the own citizens returning from NSW, Victoria & the ACT I'm sure they won't have any problems if their citizens are stranded overseas longer.

by Anonymousreply 175October 5, 2021 11:28 AM

R173 -this is not a surprise to me. I live in regional NSW and when I have needed to go out I saw lots of people not wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 176October 5, 2021 1:19 PM

R176 Lots not wearing them in Sydney either. Though at least in the supermarket and chemist which are the only indoor places that I have been people to were their masks.

Have to admit that I feel ridiculous wearing a mask when I'm walking down a street that barely anybody uses. But I do believe in following the law so I do wear my mask even when I'm somewhere alone. If we all did our own thing society would descent into complete chaos.

And for people who don't won't to wear masks they should write to their local member to express their feelings. Mind you I'm not calling anybody out as there are some people who have legitimate reasons for not wearing one and it isn't my job anyway. Prefer to mind my own business.

Had a very bad personal experience last year with somebody telling me I should wear a mask even though there was no legal requirement to do so. This was back in November. I don't feel like writing down the full details of what happened but the old hag was completely in the wrong and trying to bait me. Hopefully the silly bitter old cunt is dead by now. Her nervous looking husband probably is. He looked like death, probably battling cancer but I was legally in the right - I was not obligated to wear a mask at that time.

by Anonymousreply 177October 5, 2021 1:30 PM

I had a car driver yell out to me to take my mask off and breathe in some fresh air when i was in the street.

by Anonymousreply 178October 5, 2021 2:13 PM

Fresh air is good

by Anonymousreply 179October 5, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote] Had a very bad personal experience last year

That sounded traumatic for you, R177.

by Anonymousreply 180October 5, 2021 10:20 PM

R177 Actually it was, but nothing compared to health workers around the world battling COVID in hospitals.

by Anonymousreply 181October 5, 2021 11:34 PM

Yes, R181, I spoke to some old people and they compared our current trauma to that of 1942 when the Japanese were bombing us and threatening to invade us..

by Anonymousreply 182October 5, 2021 11:43 PM

Japanese submarines got to Sydney Harbour.

by Anonymousreply 183October 6, 2021 12:33 AM

Can 🇺🇸 travel to Australia?

by Anonymousreply 184October 6, 2021 12:48 AM

R184 Anyone can travel to Australia so long as they are rich and/or famous.

by Anonymousreply 185October 6, 2021 1:05 AM

During their lockdown?

by Anonymousreply 186October 6, 2021 1:07 AM

First stage will be returning citizens.

Next stage tourists who are doubly vaccinated with an approved vaccine determined by Australia.

Unvaccinated tourists would have to be tested prior, then again on arrival, and have to serve 14 days quarantine at their own expense. That of course means you will unlikely have unvaccinated tourists coming into the country.

by Anonymousreply 187October 6, 2021 1:10 AM

Yes, R186, although it does help to be a famous movie star.

by Anonymousreply 188October 6, 2021 1:50 AM

I just can't wait to get more than 5k's from home.

Anyone else amused by the demise of Glad and Bruzz???

by Anonymousreply 189October 6, 2021 5:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 6, 2021 6:10 AM

R189, best news in 10 years. Good riddance to both of them. Gladys= Koala killer. Bruz=pork barrelling.

by Anonymousreply 191October 6, 2021 7:01 AM

The new guy is completely bonkers!

by Anonymousreply 192October 6, 2021 7:58 AM

What has he done, R192?

by Anonymousreply 193October 6, 2021 7:59 AM

What is the point ever of visiting Australia if it is perpetually in lockdown? Glad I did so 3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 194October 6, 2021 8:34 AM

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet has promised better things are coming for the state with a new recovery plan to keep restaurants open, bring workers back to their offices and invigorate Sydney's Covid-weary west.

The new leader has vowed NSW will turn a new leaf in coming months as he attempts to steer Sydney out of a gruelling 14-week lockdown.

Mr Perrottet is set to announce a recovery package that will prioritise the needs of business owners and residents in Sydney's west and southwest.

Businesses including cafes, pubs and restaurants that begin to purchase perishable produce will be able to claim the loss of stock if the state is plunged into another lockdown.

Mr Perrottet also revealed he had a 'constructive discussion' with Health Minister Brad Hazzard about ditching masks in a bid to get workers back into CBD offices before 2022.

'There's no doubt masks in an office environment is an impediment for people to come back into town,' he told 2GB's Ben Fordham.

'It's important to get people back into town … there's so many businesses that rely on that foot traffic in Sydney's CBD and Parramatta.'

by Anonymousreply 195October 6, 2021 8:47 AM

R189 I would be about Gladys if she wasn't replaced by Perrottet.

Gladys with her arrogance created the mess in NSW, Victoria, the ACT and poor New Zealand. She should have hung around until she cleaned it up but she did the right thing resigning in relation to the allegations in ICAC. A shame more politicians did do the morally right thing and resign in similar circumstances. So many of them hold on for dear life.

I wonder if she is cleared if she'll make a comeback at the Federal level? She has a lot of baggage as but as far as NSW Premiers go she is the best we had had since Neville Wran - that is fucking over 30 years ago! In between Wran and Gladys we had the well meaning and I think genuinely decent but way in over their heads Barrie Unsworth, Nathan Rees & Barry O'Farrell. But we also had the appalling and corrupt (or in some cases covering up corrupt underlings) Greiner, Fahey (a pedo apparently - into little girls so I've heard from numerous people), Carr (closeted homo/pedo some say), Iemma, Kenneally & Baird.

Despite all her faults Gladys wasn't too bad in comparison those between her and Wran. And people generally liked and respected her.

Shame she got undone for some cock, and not attractive even cock at that.

by Anonymousreply 196October 6, 2021 8:57 AM

R195 Perrottet can shove 'getting back into town' right up his arse. I live less than within 30 minutes walking distance of Sydney's CBD and I'm not going anywhere near what is going to be a COVID Delta breeding ground.

The last time I went into the CBD was in February earlier this year and I didn't even recognise it with the light rail. Ugly, souless and so corporate looking now. All the character has long left the CBD with rising rents, etc forcing all the interesting shops of earlier years out.

There is nothing in Sydney's CBD that you can't buy over the internet and the restaurants across the suburbs are far better and cheaper. Fuck the CBD - Clover Moore and the State Government have killed it.

I'm afraid Melbourne is heading the same way but at least they still have lots of great restaurants in the CBD.....for now.

by Anonymousreply 197October 6, 2021 9:05 AM

If you’re vaccinated, what are you afraid of? Get out of the basement and live your life.

by Anonymousreply 198October 6, 2021 10:54 AM

Daryl Maguire is extremely gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Being vaccinated is not a cure all. You can still get Covid and be a carrier. So they say.

by Anonymousreply 200October 6, 2021 12:20 PM

The Australian Reptile Park will REOPEN on Monday 11 October 2021! ⭐ Dedicated staff have been working throughout lockdown to care for our animals, and now, we’re SO EXCITED to reopen our doors and welcome you back in a careful and responsible way.

by Anonymousreply 201October 6, 2021 9:56 PM

New NSW premier is a drunk and doesn't believe people should masturbate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202October 7, 2021 9:42 PM

my gym in NSW re-opens on Monday. You need to be double vaxxed and have to wear a mask inside unless you are doing heavy exercise which i guess means cardio.

by Anonymousreply 203October 7, 2021 10:54 PM

Australia is a prison

by Anonymousreply 204October 7, 2021 11:18 PM

R202 I wouldn't believe a word that person says. They are a vile slug who got kicked out of politics.

by Anonymousreply 205October 8, 2021 1:21 AM

Perrottet seems like an angry closeted gay with huge mental issues. No wonder he's a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 206October 8, 2021 4:18 AM

[quote] seems like

Anything can seem like anything else if you're an obsessed monomaniac.

What could possibly suggest to you that Perrottet is drunk or gay?

by Anonymousreply 207October 8, 2021 4:23 AM

I don’t care whether he’s drunk or gay - I do care that he’s a far right wing conservative Catholic who doesn’t believe in a woman’s right to choose, doesn’t support marriage equality and doesn’t believe in contraception.

by Anonymousreply 208October 8, 2021 4:29 AM

Has he done ANYTHING in his public life which suggests your fears will be turned into reality?

by Anonymousreply 209October 8, 2021 4:38 AM

You’re crazy if you don’t think his personal beliefs don’t his public actions. Of course he’s not going to be open about it. The hardcore right wing takeover of Australian politics is scary as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 210October 8, 2021 5:23 AM

Australia's parliaments are based on the bicameral Westminster system which is full of checks and balances to withstand any tyranny.

The Labour Party forces its members to vote according to the dictates of the party. But Perrotet has mentioned he will suggest conscience votes on controversial issues that you fear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 8, 2021 5:32 AM

Both major parties are as corrupt as anything. In the process they have made the Public Service corrupt.

The Brittany Higgins allegations of being raped in Parliament House (I completely believe her) is just the tip of the iceberg. There are some decent people in the ALP & LNP but they are outnumbered by the horrors.

The Greens mean well but are basically stupid and some of them anti-Semitic. And then the is the crazy far right wingers like Pauline Hanson, Bob Kater, Fred Nile and the like. Urgh....horrible people. No wonder Australia has become such a shambles.

by Anonymousreply 212October 8, 2021 6:05 AM

^ Yes, dear!

by Anonymousreply 213October 8, 2021 6:07 AM

R212, Jesus... November can't come quick enough to get rid of Fred Nile. Hallelujah

by Anonymousreply 214October 8, 2021 6:35 AM

[quote] Jesus... He's older than God!!

No. God is older than Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 215October 8, 2021 8:23 AM

R214 The next NSW State election is March 2023. He will be up for re-election. At the last election for the first time in decades his party failed to gain a seat in the upper house (ha ha ha ha). It is doubtful he will get elected. Lyle Shelton, the creep who used to run the Australian Christian Lobby recently moved from QLD to NSW so he can run for a seat in the NSW Upper House. Nothing like splitting a dying voter base.

Even when Pauline Hanson, despite her high profile, tried for an Upper House NSW State seat she failed. Nile's career will end at the next election and so will he splinted and shrinking party. Hopefully the old prick will be dead before then. I understand he new wife (the Eastern European unmarried mother that Fred said Elaine would have approved of) is feeding him lots of bacon sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 216October 8, 2021 8:27 AM

^ I'm out of touch. I thought Fred would stand down early and Lyle Shelton would take his place. Oh well ever hopeful. R215 Fred is older than God!

by Anonymousreply 217October 8, 2021 9:03 AM

Perrotted voted against decriminalising abortion in 2019 and reportedly will vote against voluntary euthanasia legislation when it is introduced in New South Wales Parliament in October 2021.

by Anonymousreply 218October 8, 2021 9:13 AM

He idolizes Trump, he has connections to Opus Dei. Pretty much says it all.

by Anonymousreply 219October 8, 2021 9:14 AM

R217 Sorry if my post was clear. As far as I know Fred is not standing down but given his age I wouldn't be surprised. However, Lyle Shelton is not associated with Fred Nile or his fading party and Shelton is running as either an independent or for the Australia Christian Lobby. But the two will be up against each other.

by Anonymousreply 220October 8, 2021 9:15 AM

[quote] He idolizes Trump

Who says? Where is your evidence?

by Anonymousreply 221October 8, 2021 9:18 AM

Perrottet is also fiercely anti-gay and anti-gay marriage.

I really don't expect him to do anything radical before the next state election (March 2023) but who knows after that - particularly if he wins big time.

Would be odd if he criminalised homosexuality but at the same time gay marriage is legal at a Federal level and he would be able to override that. Really don't think that will happen to be honest. If he wants a long career he needs to keep his extremist personal views in check.

by Anonymousreply 222October 8, 2021 9:19 AM

In a 2016 post on his official Facebook account, Mr Perrottet praised Donald Trump's election as US President, describing it as "a victory for people who have been taken for granted by the elites".

Part of the post read: "If you stand for free speech, you are not a bigot."

"If you question man-made climate change, you are not a sceptic.

"If you support stronger borders, you are not a racist.

"If you want a plebiscite on same sex marriage, you are not a homophobe.

"If you love your country, you are not an extremist."

"These are mainstream values that people should be free to articulate without fear of ridicule or persecution by the Left."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223October 8, 2021 9:21 AM

Perrottet thinks he can force his views on NSW. He normalizes religious extremism.

by Anonymousreply 224October 8, 2021 9:25 AM

R222 Correction to my post. Even if Perrottet was to decriminalise gay sex he CANNOT override the Federal gay marriage bill. So gay couples would be legal but sex between them would not be. Doubt it will happen but it would be an odd scenario.

by Anonymousreply 225October 8, 2021 9:48 AM

Well Covid is his top priority at the moment. You have to wonder if Gladys had stayed on whether she would have kept the October 11 re-opening of NSW date or would have waited for higher percentage of vaccinations. I think they really should wait until it is 100% but I guess that will never happen with the anti-vaxxers.

by Anonymousreply 226October 8, 2021 12:02 PM

In the meantime as they countdown to re-opening I am reading about 30 to 50 new positive cases every day in my locality and still seeing idiots not wearing masks and not social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 227October 8, 2021 12:05 PM

Jordan Shanks (Friendlyjordies) is going to have a field day with Perrottet!!! Bring it on.

by Anonymousreply 228October 8, 2021 5:26 PM

It's his "everybody go back to the office and don't worry about face masks" policy that's worrying me. The white collar workers are about to be hit, just like the essential workers have been.

There is no great need for folks who've been working from home to go back.

by Anonymousreply 229October 9, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote] that's worrying me

I'm worried that Dr Chant says there are 8 cases this week with a New Variation.

We were blasé about this disease until the super-infectious Delta Variation arrived.

by Anonymousreply 230October 9, 2021 3:35 AM

[quote] I think they really should wait until it is 100% but I guess that will never happen with the anti-vaxxers.

We don't have 100% vaccination against any disease in Australia, as far as I know, but we do have over 90% for all the ones people are usually vaccinated for. What that means is we get the occasional outbreak of measles or whooping cough in a particular area: it affects a child care centre or a small area and then it disappears. That's herd immunity in action, and it's what we could expect with Covid once we get to those numbers - which in NSW will probably be by the end of the year, especially with the 12-15s catching up as fast as they are.

[quote]I'm worried that Dr Chant says there are 8 cases this week with a New Variation.

I saw her say that on TV. She followed up immediately by saying there was nothing to suggest this strain was any worse in any way than the Delta we're used to. I gathered her concern is how it got here, not what it might do.

by Anonymousreply 231October 9, 2021 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!