Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, Tell me about Douglass Watson

Everyone's favorite father figure. Patient, understanding and accepting. The ideal father figure for so many of us growing up.

Even when he was pissed off at or divorced from Rachel, he was still loving and generous with her children. If only every father (and step-father) was so perfect!

Share your Douglass Watson memories .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329October 27, 2021 11:15 PM

What's to fucking say? Dude dead for like 40 years now. Time to fucking move on.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2021 12:58 AM

Actually my recollection of Mac is that he was a son of a bitch when it came to custody of Amanda and Matthew, and slut-shamed his wife for living with hot piece Mitch Blake and used it against her in the custody battle. Meanwhile he was boning some no-name Alice.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2021 1:02 AM

I don't have one single memory of this man. Well, now I do have one, from this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2021 1:05 AM

What

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2021 1:07 AM

Mac was a tiresome pompous windbag. Though I'm sure Mr. Watson was a lovely person.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2021 1:14 AM

He had serious sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2021 3:15 AM

Mac!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2021 3:20 AM

Aunt Liz wanted him inside her quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 3:22 AM

STEP BACK BITCHES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2021 3:23 AM

I’m still verklempt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2021 3:35 AM

Poor Aunt Liz. She thought she was having dinner with Mac in his hotel suite and she shows up and there's Rachel slinked on the couch. She was so embarrassed. Then she hightailed it over to Iris' to tell her about Mac and Rachel. Iris looked like she was going to cut a bitch. Liz knew exactly what she was doing, because Iris left her place and went over to Mac's.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2021 3:38 AM

Bug eyed Rachel had the crazy eyes!

I know she killed my daddy.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2021 3:38 AM

[quote] Rachel had the crazy eyes!

How rude.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2021 3:41 AM

Hiya, OP!

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2021 3:43 AM

I was confused as a kid because I thought Douglass/Mac was like our neighbor or something. Our news anchor looked a lot like "Mac" and I think I was 7 or 8 before I got it all straight as to who was who.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2021 3:56 AM

Victoria paid tribute to Douglass at the 1989 Daytime Emmy Awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2021 3:59 AM

[quote]What's to fucking say? Dude dead for like 40 years now. Time to fucking move on.

Yes, once they're dead, there's no reason ever to mention an actor or celebrity again. That's why you never hear mention of Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor or Bea Arthur on DataLounge these days.

And I don't think there's been any mention of Connie Ford or Beverlee McKinsey here since their deaths either.

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2021 1:52 PM

I used to go into his bedroom and sniff his worn boxers.

Iris wasn't the only one calling out "Daddy!"

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2021 2:14 PM

HE was a handsome man, a handsome daddy/grandfather...

AND I LOVED LOVED that even at his mature age, on the show, he would wear SPEEDOS! showing his hairy beefy body! awesome!... How i wish I could find episodes of this on youtube or somewhere!...

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2021 2:39 PM

Other thread got Muriel’d. Can we migrate here and someone post a link in the old thread?

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2021 4:06 AM

Dude smoked wayyyyyyyy too many ciggies. Dropped dead right before our eyes..

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2021 6:32 AM

a shame he isn't here to put one out in your eye

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2021 11:27 AM

Douglass was such a tremendous force on the show. Even ten years after his death his character was often mentioned, his memory and spirit was alive.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2021 12:21 PM

Sadly, it looks like marvelous midwestern favorite Danny Markel has been a bad, bad boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2021 12:26 PM

Looks to be the same Danny/Dan.

Damn, he looks good salt-and-pepper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2021 12:27 PM

Has Icky Wyndham commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2021 1:18 PM

I think he looks far better as a daddy than a young guy.

Poor Douglass Watson-somebody on the AW Locher Room reunion said he was on vacation at some resort in the Southwest, went for a long run and straight to an exercise class and dropped dead right there.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2021 1:53 PM

I had no idea Rita Rudner was on Daytime.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote] I think he looks far better as a daddy than a young guy.

Fucking beautiful as a young man. Still hot as a mature man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2021 2:07 PM

Danny wasn't dripping with sex the way that RKK was, but he was a good replacement. Much better than that Brian Lane Green mess they brought in.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2021 2:16 PM

[quote]Danny wasn't dripping with sex the way that RKK was

You're absolutely right. He was a thousand times drippinger than that clown RKK. Danny Markel is my single favorite daytime actor of all time. So sad he dropped out after the David Stenbeck mess. He'd have made a convincing Adam Newman.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2021 4:14 PM

I get that some thought of Mac as the ideal dad.

For me, it was another Mac -- Kevin Dobson's character on KNOTS.

Michael ADORED Mac; he was longing for a dad after poor William Sidney died on the operating table.

And he got it. He felt protected and cared for by Mac.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2021 6:20 PM

Another World was my mother's favorite. She adored Mac, though he was too good for conniving Rachel. My high school was on split session, so I was home by 3. We used to watch it together (I know, Mary!) When Douglass Watson died in real life, a funeral was held 6 weeks later for Mac on air. My mother was inconsolable.

Here we have Rachel saying her final goodbyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2021 6:30 PM

Had I known they were going to hire Douglass, I would have stuck around.

He was so debonair and more exciting than dull-as-dishwater Sam Groom.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2021 6:42 PM

Danny Markel was also furry as hell.....mmmm.....furry pubes!!

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2021 6:44 PM

Why put on subscribe so early? We barely had 300 replies.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2021 10:10 PM

You're absolutely right. He was a thousand times drippinger than that clown RKK.

Here's the difference.

RKK will throw you up against a building in a back alley, pull your shorts to side and fuck you while biting your neck and twisting your nips.

Danny Markel will wait until you get home to fuck you in your bed. He'll ask if you want to use a condom and he'll call you the next day.

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2021 10:10 PM

[quote] RKK will throw you up against a building in a back alley, pull your shorts to side and fuck you while biting your neck and twisting your nips.

But only if you are a 16-year-old girl.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2021 10:24 PM

R36 who knows these days

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2021 11:11 PM

[quote]Poor Douglass Watson-somebody on the AW Locher Room reunion said he was on vacation at some resort in the Southwest, went for a long run and straight to an exercise class and dropped dead right there.

Watson had a heart attack while taking an exercise class at at retreat in Arizona.

He'd gone there to get in better shape for a storyline that AW planned for him.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote] RKK will throw you up against a building in a back alley, pull your shorts to side and fuck you while biting your neck and twisting your nips.

Raw

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2021 11:41 PM

Those ciggies did Doug in. Did Connie snatch eater comment when he croaked?

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2021 11:46 PM

Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2021 12:00 AM

sure, mary

by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2021 12:52 AM

Bottom’s up!

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2021 1:22 AM

What storyline were they going to do for Mac and Rachel is he had lived?

The scene in this clip between Mac and Ada is amazing. It starts at 25:00. I think it’s from 1984 or so. Mac and Ada had a unique friendship that was unusual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2021 1:57 AM

Locher Room session with Carolyn and Richard Culliton. Lots of fascinating tidbits shared. Well worth listening too.

My favorite comment was what Paul Rauch's assistant said when Texas was cancelled in 1982 -- "What do you expect from a show written by an actress and a secretary."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2021 3:16 AM

I don't often think Victoria W's Hispanic heritage is very obvious, but there are a few spots in that clip at R46 where she looks very Latina, in a way I don't remember seeing much before or after.

by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2021 3:35 AM

Did Victoria Wyndham resent the late Beth Howland because she was on a prime-time hit for years and was also Sondheim's muse?

by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2021 3:20 PM

Everyone take a shot every time La Locherina says "You know...."

You'll be shitfaced in about 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2021 3:24 PM

Of course the Cullitons said I was their favorite.

They didn't mention you as a favorite, Donna dear.

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2021 3:59 PM

My guess is, based on interviews she's given and the way she has conducted herself post AW, I would say that Victoria Wyndham doesn't waste her time being resentful of anyone.

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2021 4:36 PM

Everytime Queen Locher says “that’s crazy”, take a drink. I did.

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2021 7:32 PM

I wonder what conversations she has with her in-law Sir Mark Rylance.

Did the Cullitons write for AW when Douglass Watson died? If so damn Locher for not bringing it up and asking them what the planned storyline was.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2021 7:41 PM

Watson died in the Lemay-Swajeski years, no?

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2021 7:51 PM

I don’t think Lemay was there at that particular time.

by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2021 7:53 PM

Lemay's very quick Welcome Back/See Ya Later was in 1988, when P&G rehired him, used his work for a few months and then rethought the idea after the writer's strike that year.

Douglass Watson died the following spring.

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote]Danny Markel is my single favorite daytime actor of all time.

He was handsome enough -- and still was as of 2015, based on the photo at R25 -- but he wasn't much of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2021 8:29 PM

He wasn't a grand actor but he exuded sex

by Anonymousreply 59September 4, 2021 1:15 AM

Essay discussing the changes Doug Marland made to the Barbara Ryan character and the changes Brown and Essenstein made to the Beth Raines character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 4, 2021 12:53 PM

Doug was no hunk, and his style of acting was so mannered and affected. Just hyper-theatrical. He'd be laughed off the screen today. HIs AW clips are good for a solid laugh. The only reason you queens love him is because he is the surrogate father who, unlike your real fathers, didn't reject you because you were "different". Now, an attractive prime time actor without all the theater training nonsense would've been much better in the role, someone like Dennis Cole or John Saxon. And you get someone like Shannon Tweed or Susan Anton as nuAlice, and Mac and Alice would've taken off as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 61September 4, 2021 1:37 PM

r61 = the Drew Dixon Troll

by Anonymousreply 62September 4, 2021 2:05 PM

A lot of NYC soap actors used soaps to supplement their theatre income. Shows like AW, went after those types of actors and were lauded for it. For instance I adore Constance Ford and every time she pops up in a classic movie or one of those old TV shows on the vaginal mesh channels, I stop and watch. But on AW, Connie was playing to back row in every scene. So was Doug and Irene Daily and Anne Meacham.

by Anonymousreply 63September 4, 2021 2:12 PM

R61 you with that joke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 4, 2021 2:16 PM

Played to the back row, r63? You're being generous. Actually they played to the deli across the street from the Brooklyn studio. That style of acting was NOT meant for TV, which is why, looking back all these years, that they all come off beyond laughable. Someone, say, like Michael Mealor or Galen Gering could teach Doug and those others a thing or two about how to act for television.

by Anonymousreply 65September 4, 2021 2:23 PM

anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 66September 4, 2021 2:27 PM

Galen Gering teach someone to act, r65? You mean the Galen Gering who never uttered a phrase that didn't require closed captioning?

by Anonymousreply 67September 4, 2021 2:45 PM

Doug didn’t age well.

by Anonymousreply 68September 4, 2021 3:01 PM

Doug was so queeny. It was really tough to buy Iris and Rachel or any female lusting after Mac. Felicia would've been believable as Mac's hag if she didn't already have that uberqueen Wallingford.

by Anonymousreply 69September 4, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote][R61] = the Drew Dixon Troll

Oh, I suspect it's a whole bunch of trolls rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 70September 4, 2021 4:56 PM

The most subtle piece of acting ever recorded on camera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 4, 2021 6:17 PM

You could practically smell the snatch on Connie’s breath through the tv screen.

by Anonymousreply 72September 4, 2021 6:49 PM

R71, I oughta slap you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 4, 2021 7:28 PM

R71, I wonder if Connie 'hit' that, and I'm not talking about slapping...

by Anonymousreply 74September 4, 2021 7:51 PM

I remember teen Nancy’s first episode where she was in Mac’s limo sashaying to Material Girl.

by Anonymousreply 75September 4, 2021 8:12 PM

Ya just know that Mac was going to the Townhouse and hiring rentboys on his business trips to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 76September 4, 2021 8:39 PM

Haha, Ilsa. And I bet he went down on Sandy not knowing he was his father.

by Anonymousreply 77September 4, 2021 8:51 PM

Sandy ONLY rented out to women, R77.

by Anonymousreply 78September 4, 2021 10:12 PM

Sandy and Jamie had steamy stroke sessions in the sauna at the Bay City Racquet Club.

by Anonymousreply 79September 4, 2021 10:32 PM

[quote]And you get someone like Shannon Tweed or Susan Anton as nuAlice, and Mac and Alice would've taken off as a couple.

Wow! Shannon Tweed would have been one busy actress if the Drew Dixon Troll was in charge. First he's got her playing Maureen on GL. Now she's playing Alice on AW too. Double duty! I guess the P&G limos would have been ready to whisk her from one studio to the other.

And what about Savannah Wilder on Days? Did Shannon keep that role while playing the other two?

by Anonymousreply 80September 4, 2021 11:01 PM

Don't feed the trolls, darlings.

by Anonymousreply 81September 4, 2021 11:29 PM

P&G hired ugly actors. That's why those shows played so well in the nursing homes with the legally blind old biddies. None of them would've passed muster on Days or a Bell show. I mean, seriously, can you see Bell even contemplating hiring a Vicky Wyndham or the low-energy Ellen Parker?

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2021 1:50 AM

anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2021 2:43 AM

GLORY HOLE AT BAY CITY MOTEL

Tall, handsome masc, taking on Bay City Men in room 7.

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2021 1:30 PM

^Directions, please!

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2021 1:51 PM

*unzips*

by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2021 2:59 PM

Which Jamie F.? Bekins, Yates, Lau or Todd.

by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2021 3:02 PM

It is Sunday Funday!

by Anonymousreply 88September 5, 2021 3:13 PM

R87 They all had cocksucking lips

by Anonymousreply 89September 5, 2021 3:18 PM

Lots of raw loads were taken in the Complex parking lot. That lot was a notorious after-hours cruising and hookup spot.

by Anonymousreply 90September 5, 2021 3:33 PM

Which is why I stayed away from that Complex

by Anonymousreply 91September 5, 2021 3:43 PM

Are there any active bath houses in Bay City that don't attract sad old queens like Brian Bancroft?

by Anonymousreply 92September 5, 2021 3:50 PM

I know of one, r92. It's called Bottoms, and it's right along the bay, at Fourth Street. It's owned by that woman with the boas who has that restaurant called Tops.

by Anonymousreply 93September 5, 2021 3:52 PM

R92=Walter Curtin

by Anonymousreply 94September 5, 2021 4:08 PM

Lenore's scarf was up my ass! I loved it!

by Anonymousreply 95September 5, 2021 4:15 PM

I took so many raw loads in the Complex parking lot, we used to nickname it the Cumplex.

by Anonymousreply 96September 5, 2021 5:37 PM

R96 = Jim Matthews

by Anonymousreply 97September 5, 2021 5:59 PM

Yes, I really WAS gay and I was getting it regularly from Zachary Scott, Attorney at Law-and a damn fine piece of ass.

by Anonymousreply 98September 5, 2021 6:08 PM

Who was Gail Brown fucking behind the scenes? Worst actress ever, yet she someone managed to endure not only throughout Lemay's entire regime, but also through all those multiple transitional regimes after Lemay left. Jacker couldn't write for Pat, yet she could for Clarice?

by Anonymousreply 99September 5, 2021 6:53 PM

Remember the horrible woman who played Henrietta, the would-be cookie entrepeneur? Jacker wrote more for her than for Rachel. And Michele Shay, a fine theater actress, delivered the most bizarre line readings I ever heard on a soap. I’ll always remember Wyndham referring to Jacker’s writing regime as a “renaissance” for AW. Boy, was she wrong.

by Anonymousreply 100September 5, 2021 6:57 PM

Beverlee McKunty was the worst!

by Anonymousreply 101September 5, 2021 8:00 PM

I actually really enjoyed Carole Shelley as tempIris. She was so wonderfully campy and OTT, like she was parodying McKinsey. I felt like I was watching a hip ABC type soap and not some P&G dinosaur, so I was dismayed when McKinsey returned.

by Anonymousreply 102September 5, 2021 8:32 PM

I especially loved how Shelley would theatrically tear into “Rachel!” every time, like she utterly detested her and wanted to wring her neck. McKinsey’s approach was always much more subtle and Southern-like.

by Anonymousreply 103September 5, 2021 9:51 PM

I meant how she’d say the name “Rachel” like “Rrrrachel!”

by Anonymousreply 104September 5, 2021 9:52 PM

I read in Sharon Gabet's book, From the Raven to the Dove--the new edition published in 2021--where she stated she made $420,000 in 1986 while on Another World.

by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2021 12:28 AM

I love Sharon but they didn't know what to do with her on AW. It's as though P&G just wanted to keep her in the fold once Edge was canceled, because she was a popular actress with a high Q score, but they didn't think her character through. They basically did the same thing with Larkin Malloy on The Guiding Light, but that was a much better marriage of actor and show. Was Terry Davis also a P&G mandate when she was brought to AW, or was she off Edge before it was canned? My memory is a little fuzzy with her.

by Anonymousreply 106September 6, 2021 1:04 AM

R106, Terry Davis left EON a few years before the show was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 107September 6, 2021 1:07 AM

That sounds about right. Did you think she would be making more?

by Anonymousreply 108September 6, 2021 1:07 AM

R108, I'm not sure if she should have been making more or not. That salary in 1986 sounds pretty good, but I have no idea what's a good salary for a daytime actor. If Sharon Gabet was making that amount, I wonder what Anna Stuart and Linda Dano were making. I suspect quite a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 109September 6, 2021 1:12 AM

At that point, I'm guessing Sharon was making more than Anna Stuart. Anna had been popular a decade earlier on The Doctors, but her soap career had flatlined before she joined AW. I gather that Sharon was much in demand after EON was canned, so she had room to negotiate a huge salary.

by Anonymousreply 110September 6, 2021 1:19 AM

At that point, I'm guessing Sharon was making more than Anna Stuart. Anna had been popular a decade earlier on The Doctors, but her soap career had flatlined before she joined AW. I gather that Sharon was much in demand after EON was canned, so she had room to negotiate a huge salary.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2021 1:19 AM

It comes out to be about $2700 per episode, assuming she had a 3 day a week guarantee - which was probably more than Thomas Ian Griffith and Mary Page Keller were making . I would also assume that people like Wyndham and Watson were making about $5000 an episode at that time given their status and seniority.

In case anyone is curious Sharon's salary is $1,046.179.38 in today's numbers.

by Anonymousreply 112September 6, 2021 1:24 AM

She probably made bupkus on Edge, given that it was a half hour and low rated. I would think the only people who made some decent buck in its final years were Ann Flood, Forrest Compton, and Joel Crothers. Flood and Compton were both brought over to AW in recurring roles, while Crothers, who was dying, went over to Santa Barbara, where he died soon after.

by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2021 1:42 AM

Brittany was a dumb character and it was clear the writers didn’t know what to do with her.

Pam Davis has been mentioned before as a character that should have been brought to Bay City, and Sharon would have been interesting in that role.

by Anonymousreply 114September 6, 2021 1:47 AM

[quote]I love Sharon but they didn't know what to do with her on AW. It's as though P&G just wanted to keep her in the fold once Edge was canceled, because she was a popular actress with a high Q score, but they didn't think her character through. They basically did the same thing with Larkin Malloy on The Guiding Light, but that was a much better marriage of actor and show.

So, true. P&G just wanted to keep them in the fold. Sharon said somewhere (maybe a Locher Room interview) that the main reason she went to AW was to stay with P&G since they'd been so good to her.

Brittany Peterson was definitely not written to Sharon's strengths. Seems AW had this role ready and just inserted Sharon into rather than creating a role for her. Yes, Pammy Davis would have been a good role for her.

As for Kyle Sampson, I wanted to like Larkin in the role, I really did. I adored him as Sky and wanted so much to like his Kyle, but the role never really worked for me. Sky was a lovable scalawag turned hero, whereas Kyle was a stuffy, pompous and vengeful. Travis Montgomery was a much better fit for him than Kyle.

by Anonymousreply 115September 6, 2021 1:55 AM

I think by the mid-80s, no one in charge was really interested in exploring Rachel's ancient history with the arrival of a sister who hadn't been mentioned in eons. The dramatic thrust in those years was the Loves/McKinnons/Sally/Catlin/Felicia/Cass/Cecile. Rachel and Mac had basically become talk-to characters.

by Anonymousreply 116September 6, 2021 1:56 AM

I agree about Larkin. Travis and Sky were his two signature roles. Even though he and Zimmer were a popular pairing, Kyle is basically a footnote in GL's history.

by Anonymousreply 117September 6, 2021 1:58 AM

I sometimes wonder if Sharon should have gone to GL and Larkin should have gone to AW. The problem is, though, I can't think of any role either could have played. Maybe Michael Hudson, but he wouldn't be on canvas until 1986.

by Anonymousreply 118September 6, 2021 2:22 AM

There was really no room for Sharon at GL, which was already top-heavy with 30-something actresses. Maybe she could've played Maeve. I don't see Larkin as one of the Hudson brothers on AW. They were written as earthy and macho, and that wasn't Larkin's strength.

by Anonymousreply 119September 6, 2021 2:29 AM

R47? is that referring to Pam Long (ex-Ashley, Texas)?

She went on to win TWO Daytime Emmys for best writing on Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 120September 6, 2021 2:33 AM

I guess that leaves ATWT and SEARCH if Sharon and Larkin wanted/had to stay in the P&G family.

by Anonymousreply 121September 6, 2021 2:44 AM

they should have been paired together on another show.

by Anonymousreply 122September 6, 2021 2:46 AM

Sharon could've worked on ATWT as a recast of a long-gone character, like Barbara's sister Melinda, or Cricket Montgomery. Do you think Larkin would've made a decent Craig Montgomery?

by Anonymousreply 123September 6, 2021 2:53 AM

Poor Doug was so god damned homely!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 124September 6, 2021 3:00 AM

400K is solid.

I mean, 30ish percent for federal taxes, some for local taxes, 15 percent to your agent.......so that leaves about 200K.

In NYC, the most expensive real estate market in the cuntry.

by Anonymousreply 125September 6, 2021 3:06 AM

Sharon Gabet and Marcy Walker are the two gold prize winners in the Let's Grab Her For The Show Without Planning an Actual Role awards.

by Anonymousreply 126September 6, 2021 3:07 AM

(P&G version, anyway)

by Anonymousreply 127September 6, 2021 3:08 AM

Grabbing big stars from one shows and forcing chemistry with the star(s) of another show rarely works. Look at Robin Mattson on Ryan's Hope. That was such an hysterically obvious ploy to bring over GH reviewers. She had zero chemistry with any of Ryan actors.

by Anonymousreply 128September 6, 2021 3:33 AM

Robert Newman was on Santa Barbara for about 6 weeks in 1986 as the second Kirk Cranston. He and Marcy Walker did have some chemistry in those scenes.

So, it wasn't outrageous to think they two could possibly have that screen magic on GL. But it became obvious quickly that they did not have any sparkle as Josh and Tangie. '

Just goes to show its about the roles the actor are playing as much as it is the actor. Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans were magic on Days as Patch and Kayla. They were dull as dishwater together as Stefan Cassadine and Katherine Bell on GH.

Similarly, George Reinholt and Jacqueline Courtney as Steve and Alice were the couple who put AW on the map. Yet, when they were paired again on OLTL, they sort of fizzled.

by Anonymousreply 129September 6, 2021 3:45 AM

eeerp

by Anonymousreply 130September 6, 2021 3:45 AM

[quote]they should have been paired together on another show.

Since P&G owned the characters and the shows, there was no reason not to have them continue playing Sky and Raven on another show.

Larkin and Sharon could easily have brought Sky and Raven to live in Bay City, Oakdale, Henderson or Springfield. The question is, which of those four cities would have been the best fit for them?

by Anonymousreply 131September 6, 2021 3:52 AM

Did they fizzle or did George start acted crazy again which lead to his firing?

One annoying thing about soaps, and they've always been this way, is that they always play the let's bring so and so over here and hope that lightning strikes twice. Whether it's a writer or an actor or a storyline or just the general thrust of the show. For instance let's fire perfectly cast Cali Timmons and bring on Judi Evans to play a vixen. I'll never get over that one Another World.

by Anonymousreply 132September 6, 2021 3:56 AM

I'll never understand the fuss over Cali Timmons, sorry. I know someone here loves her and I condole you, but nothing about her portrayal was memorable to me.

by Anonymousreply 133September 6, 2021 3:58 AM

How about Beth Ehlers on AMC? That was a disaster as Taylor. She was brought on to recreate her chemistry with Ricky Paul Goldin, but her character was so underdeveloped. He sparked with Chrishelle Stause, and they wound up pairing her with non-actor JR Martinez, about whom she said some not very complimentary things to the press. There was talk of trying to salvage her character by pairing her with MEK, but that never happened, and she just disappeared from the canvass.

by Anonymousreply 134September 6, 2021 4:07 AM

Cali Timmons made a surprise appearance alongside her husband Geoff Pierson during Miss Locher's RH reunion a few months ago. She's definitely aged, but she still looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 135September 6, 2021 4:14 AM

Well, her portrayal was memorable to me. I thought she was great as Paulina. It was tough watching Judi Evans, at least in the beginning, try to play that role. And they would stuff poor Judi into those tight dresses, eventually they just rewrote the character to make it work for Judi.

by Anonymousreply 136September 6, 2021 4:16 AM

Cali’s portrayal of Paulina was different-she was more mysterious and sexual. Paulina was originally written as a mysterious femme fatale type.

Judi played Paulina differently, and to me it was jarring. It took awhile for me to get used to her.

by Anonymousreply 137September 6, 2021 4:20 AM

Replacing Cali with Judi is akin to replacing Marilyn Monroe with Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 138September 6, 2021 4:21 AM

Look at what ATWT did with Paul. Paul basically became Todd Manning.

by Anonymousreply 139September 6, 2021 4:29 AM

Cali was sexy and sultry.

Judi's more popular but they're different types.

by Anonymousreply 140September 6, 2021 4:46 AM

I found Cali's portrayal of Paulina quite memorable. She really brought some pizzazz to the role and had some sparks with Russell Todd's Jamie.

Judi's interpretation of Paulina was initially disappointing. But as someone said above, the show started writing the character to Judi's strengths.

But the casting came off as "Judi Evans is available, let's grab her quick and get her back in the P&G fold!" And then they had to figure out what role to put her in.

by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2021 6:20 AM

Ray Liotta is asked about his time on Another World in a new Rolling Stone interview:

"I remember when I got offered it, I was like, “I don’t want to do a soap opera. I want to go and do a Scorsese movie.” But I got Another World six months out of graduating. It happened really fast. It just so happened it was really, really good training. These were unbelievable people I was working with, these great stage actors, really seasoned, and our producer made sure they would be free to go and do plays when they wanted to. So I learned a lot being around them. I really liked it. It didn’t bother me at all."

by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2021 1:09 PM

r120 Yes, the actress was Pam Long, secretary was Carolyn Culliton.

by Anonymousreply 143September 6, 2021 1:13 PM

Eldergays, tell me about Margie Impert as Rachel. Was she THAT forgettable?

by Anonymousreply 144September 6, 2021 1:15 PM

nein!

by Anonymousreply 145September 6, 2021 1:16 PM

With a name like that do you really require an answer?

by Anonymousreply 146September 6, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote] Eldergays, tell me about Margie Impert as Rachel. Was she THAT forgettable?

I'd be truly surprised if anyone here saw her on air.

She was on for a matter of weeks....and in 1971, when many of us were either a glimmer in our mother's eye or were mere sleeping, eating, shitting machines in our cribs!

by Anonymousreply 147September 6, 2021 1:22 PM

I went on a long drive this past weekend and decided to listen to those Eddie Drueding AW tapes from the 60s. I must say that Audra Lindley's Aunt Liz was everything. She's a busybody, a gossip. and lonely (like Irene Dailey's Liz)... but she was so vicious and such a snob and she had Rachel's number from the beginning. My guess is Audra's Liz was Agnes Nixon's inspiration for Phoebe on All My Children.

by Anonymousreply 148September 6, 2021 1:30 PM

Cali Timmons is an awful actress. No wonder she hasn’t worked in forever. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 149September 6, 2021 1:34 PM

R148 If I remember right, Agnes wrote AMC first and submitted it to P&G way back in, I think, 1965, and then when P&G turned her down, she lost the bible to the show, so when she wrote AW, she borrowed some from that bible.

Rachel was Erica and Ada was Mona, for sure, in terms of new characters Aggie created.

And you're right, she probably positioned Liz to be similar to Phoebe.

by Anonymousreply 150September 6, 2021 1:35 PM

Agnes even duplicated the Russ/Rachel marriage on AMC with Erica/Jeff. Bitch-brat marries the boring son of the show's moral-center family.

by Anonymousreply 151September 6, 2021 1:46 PM

Margie Impert as Rachel. I can see the resemblance to Strasser, which is probably why she was cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 6, 2021 1:52 PM

I know this is the P&G thread but I loved Phoebe.

She was an old bitch, a snob and a priss, and she was allowed to be. These days the remaining soaps are so flat. No character to them.

by Anonymousreply 153September 6, 2021 2:02 PM

Then you would have loved Audra's Liz R153.

by Anonymousreply 154September 6, 2021 2:14 PM

Audra Lindley had gas issues. She farted constantly. Strasser said that she stunk up the place out in Brooklyn. Heard she did the same thing under her caftans on Three’s Company.

by Anonymousreply 155September 6, 2021 2:18 PM

[quote]Look at what ATWT did with Paul. Paul basically became Todd Manning.

Such a mistake. I called him Podd.

by Anonymousreply 156September 6, 2021 2:23 PM

Did Connie even kick Audra in the cunt?

by Anonymousreply 157September 6, 2021 2:23 PM

I think Connie was really close to Nancy Wickwire who played Liz #2. I'm not sure how she felt about Audra.

by Anonymousreply 158September 6, 2021 2:33 PM

Cali and Judi were both wonderful in different ways. Cali's Paulina was colder, more self-contained and as another poster said, mysterious. Judi's Paulina was hot-tempered and prone to tantrums and over the top physicality.

During Judi's first scenes I knew Paulina and Jake would get together simply because of the way the actors played the scenes. Jake was all over Paulina, pawing Judi in a way Tom Eplin never really had done when Cali played the role. It was down and dirty. Electric. Feral. Judi and Tom had great chemistry. I liked Cali with Dack Rambo's Grant.

by Anonymousreply 159September 6, 2021 2:36 PM

When Cali first showed up it was obvious they were going to put her with Jamie, but for some reason that was scrapped.

by Anonymousreply 160September 6, 2021 2:42 PM

Among his many Broadway appearances, Douglass Watson played Christian De Neuvillette in CYRANO DE BERGERAC with Jose Ferrer and Arlene Dahl as well as Romeo in ROMEO AND JULIET with Olivia de Havilland as Juliet.

by Anonymousreply 161September 6, 2021 2:48 PM

^Big whoop. But did he ever model Calvin Klein underwear? That's the only qualification I look for in my soap actors.

by Anonymousreply 162September 6, 2021 2:55 PM

Don't know about Calvin Klein but here he is in leather.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 6, 2021 4:49 PM

R158 Nancy, Ada's daughter, was named for Nancy Wickwire.

by Anonymousreply 164September 6, 2021 5:34 PM

Link please, R164.

by Anonymousreply 165September 6, 2021 5:48 PM

Here, bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 6, 2021 6:06 PM

It’s in Harding Lemay’s book, too, about naming Nancy after Wickwire.

by Anonymousreply 167September 6, 2021 6:10 PM

The bigger question is how a post-menopausal bulldyke like Ada managed to get pregnant in the first pace.

by Anonymousreply 168September 6, 2021 6:28 PM

Danny Markel and sons. The resemblance is clear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 6, 2021 6:36 PM

Connie was 51 in 1974 and you can assume that Ada was the same age, so (technically) she could have gotten pregnant and Nancy was a "change of life" baby. Gil hit Ada's last good egg.

by Anonymousreply 170September 6, 2021 6:37 PM

Connie Ford was 51 when Nancy was born, but I would assume Ada was supposed to be younger than that , since she showed up in 1967 as the single mother of college-aged Rachel. So the character was probably mid to late 40s when Nancy was born.

So younger than cunty Helen Wagner, whose snatch was probably as dry and barren as the Atacama desert by the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 171September 6, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote] cunty Helen Wagner

Helen Wagner was not cunty. I knew her and I know cunty and she wasn't it.

by Anonymousreply 172September 6, 2021 6:43 PM

My snatch was drier than sawdust and sand in the Sahara.

by Anonymousreply 173September 6, 2021 6:47 PM

I thought I read that Rachel was 18 when she showed up in 1967 and I got the impression that Rachel was a shotgun baby and Ada was young when she was born, so you are probably correct R171.

by Anonymousreply 174September 6, 2021 6:50 PM

Connie and Irene had palpable lez chemistry, but Irene only had eyes for Susan Keith. It's apparent that Irene wanted to devour Susan in their early scenes.

by Anonymousreply 175September 6, 2021 7:04 PM

That could have been a Notes on a Scandal storyline before its time, R175! Or at least a Windows one with Cecile in the Talia Shire role.

by Anonymousreply 176September 6, 2021 7:07 PM

Connie was a bull dyke bully. Get the fuck out of my light!

by Anonymousreply 177September 6, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] She was on for a matter of weeks....and in 1971, when many of us were either a glimmer in our mother's eye or were mere sleeping, eating, shitting machines in our cribs!

In 1971, the majority of DataLoungers were contemplating whether to go for their masters degree in a subject that might actually help them get a job.

by Anonymousreply 178September 6, 2021 7:31 PM

R178 Oh honey, we're old but not all of us are THAT old.

We didn't ALL play on the same playground as Irna Phillips

by Anonymousreply 179September 6, 2021 7:37 PM

The battle of the Ed Bauers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 6, 2021 10:57 PM

So JWS had to suck Marland’s toes????? Yuck!!!!

by Anonymousreply 181September 7, 2021 12:45 AM

Vetsoapfan LOVES to be crabby and fat soap things. Fat Ed Bauer! Fat Bert! Fat Maureen! Fat soap names like THE Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 182September 7, 2021 1:57 AM

I have no idea who he is- I have never watched 5 minutes of a daytime soap- in my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 183September 7, 2021 2:02 AM

R183 Well...fuck you and you don't have to post in a soap thread.

by Anonymousreply 184September 7, 2021 2:11 AM

The Bauers were obese. Bert, Ed, Hope, Rick, Maureen, Hillary. Can you imagine the farts unleased at the Thanksgiving Dinner table. Mike was trim. Was he adopted?

by Anonymousreply 185September 7, 2021 2:25 AM

Judging by Mike's teeth, R185, he lit up a cigarette whenever he became too hungry. The family was too busy shaming Ed about his alcoholism to call out Mike's intense --even for the 70s -- nicotine habit.

by Anonymousreply 186September 7, 2021 2:28 AM

Vetsoapfan loved every obese Bauer, especially Fat Ed!

by Anonymousreply 187September 7, 2021 2:34 AM

Elvera Roussel was a fattie. She was definitely her uncle's niece. No wonder Alan fucked around.

by Anonymousreply 188September 7, 2021 2:40 AM

Douglass also sang with the Andrew Sisters and John Travolta in Over Here

by Anonymousreply 189September 7, 2021 2:43 AM

Mart Hulswit was a big cuddly teddy bear. Marland called him a doofus and wanted his fired.

by Anonymousreply 190September 7, 2021 2:44 AM

The Bauers were slim compared to other Midwesterners.

by Anonymousreply 191September 7, 2021 2:45 AM

The Matthews family seemed to keep themselves in good shape. And I doubt the Frames had much opportunity for between-meal snacking.

by Anonymousreply 192September 7, 2021 2:49 AM

The Hughes and Matthews families were thin. The Bauers overate. Bert didn't get the diabeetus from eating carrot sticks.

by Anonymousreply 193September 7, 2021 2:50 AM

I had my snacks in the woods behind Tops.

by Anonymousreply 194September 7, 2021 2:51 AM

Janice Frame was stick thin. Willis has birthing thighs, and Steve always looked one eclair away from Mama Cass territory.

by Anonymousreply 195September 7, 2021 2:55 AM

The Bauers were German so they were probably shoveling in streudels and bratwursts by the pound.

Vinegary Nancy Hughes probably only allowed desserts on birthdays and holidays; , otherwise it was an apple or a couple of prunes as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 196September 7, 2021 2:57 AM

ummm

by Anonymousreply 197September 7, 2021 2:57 AM

The Bauers kept it 💯real.

by Anonymousreply 198September 7, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote] The Bauers were German so they were probably shoveling in streudels and bratwursts by the pound.

Ha ja!

by Anonymousreply 199September 7, 2021 2:58 AM

The Bauer men were packing the bratwurst if you catch my drift.

by Anonymousreply 200September 7, 2021 3:04 AM

Mike had big dick energy. Ed had a cocklet, which is why he could never satisfy Rita. Bill Bauer had BDF.

by Anonymousreply 201September 7, 2021 3:10 AM

Papa Bauer was known for his double digit weisswurst back in the day.....

by Anonymousreply 202September 7, 2021 3:11 AM

You couldn’t keep the Bauers away from the craft services table or the prop food.

Nancy Hughes and Kim Hughes taught their children that no one wants to go to bed with a fatty!

by Anonymousreply 203September 7, 2021 3:39 AM

R194 Jamie was a total top, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 204September 7, 2021 3:41 AM

Not entirely true, r204.

by Anonymousreply 205September 7, 2021 3:48 AM

Gurrrrrl.....

NO ONE wearing these coochie cutters is a top.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 7, 2021 4:08 AM

OMG Dejure posts in this thread? He’s been red tagged 3 times.

by Anonymousreply 207September 7, 2021 4:14 AM

Well smell you, r183

by Anonymousreply 208September 7, 2021 5:12 AM

R207 [italic]Two[/italic] times. And yes, I’m a soap queen. I was raised on ATWT, GL, and DOOL, and I caught the AW reruns on soapnet 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 209September 7, 2021 5:56 PM

Dejure’s pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 210September 7, 2021 6:46 PM

Ada's pussy must've been ripe. Gerald Davis, Ernie Downs, Gil McGowan, Charlie Hobson. She got more cock over the years than some of the younger bitches.

by Anonymousreply 211September 7, 2021 7:32 PM

Why doesn't anyone ever mention me?

by Anonymousreply 212September 7, 2021 9:26 PM

Juicy Janet’s famous Italian cooking gave Lisa some “issues.”

by Anonymousreply 213September 7, 2021 9:35 PM

Eileen Fulton's lawyer is now reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 214September 7, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote]Eileen Fulton's lawyer is now reading this thread.

We should be so lucky.

by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2021 11:26 PM

[quote]Why doesn't anyone ever mention me? —Juicy Janet

You were the town bicycle. Everybody rode you and discarded you afterward. Not much worth mentioning.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2021 11:34 PM

Did GL need a really good villainous like Sonni/Solita or Annie to come in and out of SF through the years to help ratings and story? Roger gave a ton of story,, but that ended with the actor’s death. Had Sonni/Solita or Annie (Cynthia and no one else) kept coming back like Sheila on YR and BB it may have given GL more buzz in the later years, more story, more excitement, and better ratings.

by Anonymousreply 217September 8, 2021 4:07 AM

I mean, it worked to an extent with ATWT and John Steinbeck, plus AW and Carl Hutchins (until his redemption).

by Anonymousreply 218September 8, 2021 4:14 AM

Before we get too far away from coochie cutters, I just wanna say that Shawn Christian in those short shorts ...

by Anonymousreply 219September 8, 2021 4:18 AM

Ron Raines’ Alan was just not the type of villain like that. I would even say Chris Bernau’s wasn’t either. GL had great short term villains- Sonni/Solita, Annie, Brent/Marian among others- and one of the all time great long term villains with Roger. Roger was somewhat redeemed after 1989, and he never became the bad guy he was before. He was just a very interesting character from 1989 on.

by Anonymousreply 220September 8, 2021 10:27 AM

James Stenbeck's first two returns were dramatic, but after that it was.....just hard to believe.

Sheila at B&B has become a joke.

Stefano at DAYS was too, a mop to clean up any story messes, but DAYS had the framework to play along with the joke.

by Anonymousreply 221September 8, 2021 1:22 PM

When the whole Jonathan/Sandy business was happening, they should have sent Sandy to jail, and then had his mama, Solita, come to get him out, whereupon Sandy would learn he was Josh and Solita's son.

by Anonymousreply 222September 8, 2021 5:54 PM

Who was Sandy rented out to among the discreet Bay City gays?

by Anonymousreply 223September 8, 2021 6:29 PM

Brian Bancroft, r223

by Anonymousreply 224September 8, 2021 6:42 PM

Sven wrecked Sandy's hole.

by Anonymousreply 225September 8, 2021 6:47 PM

A friend of mine worked as a PA on the set of AW in the early '80s and whenever some young up and comer wanted to 'improv' something, Connie Ford would invariably start by entering the scene and saying, 'I wouldn't go into the toilet for a while if I was you'.

by Anonymousreply 226September 8, 2021 7:37 PM

Did Brian Bancroft enjoy the mansex?

by Anonymousreply 227September 8, 2021 8:22 PM

Connie Ford was a nasty old bulldyke. An unhappy lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 228September 8, 2021 9:05 PM

R222 I would have taken a Solita/Sonni recast but it would have to be someone phenomenal. The Annie recast (Signey!) was awful beyond belief. If you’re going to follow up Cynthia Watros, you better swing for the fences.

They had an initially good idea about Roger’s son and the creepy Sebastian. In the end, the writing wasn’t interesting enough.

by Anonymousreply 229September 8, 2021 9:53 PM

The real reason Martha Byrne left ATWT in 08 was because the studio constantly smelled bad. She won’t admit it in any interviews.

by Anonymousreply 230September 8, 2021 10:25 PM

226, 227,228, 230 are invisible to me. Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 231September 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Thank your lucky stars, R231.

by Anonymousreply 232September 8, 2021 10:35 PM

R221 I'd say Mitch Laurence become that on OLTL.

GH was the best at it though, because they had a whole stable of bad guys and gals they could cycle in and out. Port Charles was like Gotham City they had a rouge's gallery of villains that took turns terrorizing the city.

by Anonymousreply 233September 8, 2021 10:59 PM

Rod Arrants, who was Travis on Search for Tomorrow, died in February. Apparently, like Audrey Peters, we're just learning about it now from the SAF/AFTRA magazine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 8, 2021 11:59 PM

Rod Arrants died back in February but its just now being announced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 8, 2021 11:59 PM

Sad news about Rod Arrants. Buzzr's been rerunning his week of Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour appearances.

by Anonymousreply 236September 9, 2021 12:25 AM

This reminds me of when Marcia McCabe, ostensibly remembering the late Louan Gideon, took the time to say when an apparent cunt Sherry Mathis was.

by Anonymousreply 237September 9, 2021 4:53 AM

Sherry Mathis thought that SHE was the star of SFT. I put her in her place real quick!

by Anonymousreply 238September 9, 2021 10:28 AM

GH had too many villains and it got tedious. It really was one of my least favorite shows. Almost unwatchable.

I guess no one knows if Michelle Forbes really said if she would have returned to Guiding Light briefly when Zimmer returned. It would have been interesting and a story Pam Long could have written the fuck out of.

by Anonymousreply 239September 9, 2021 10:30 AM

Pam Long decimated the Bauers on TGL. I’ve never forgiven her.

by Anonymousreply 240September 9, 2021 1:55 PM

Sorry to hear about Rod Arrants. He was a good looking guy. He looked like he could have easily been one of the many Frank Ryan recasts on Ryan's Hope.

by Anonymousreply 241September 9, 2021 2:04 PM

Sherry Mathis was luminous as Liza. Bond Gideon was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 242September 9, 2021 3:10 PM

Wasn’t Louan Gideon friends with Marla Maples

by Anonymousreply 243September 9, 2021 5:31 PM

Sherry Mathis was married to Jerry Lanning, who played Justin Marshall on Texas.

They met at Search for Tomorrow in 1978, where he played Nick D'Antonio, a hitman who tried to kill Liza.

by Anonymousreply 244September 9, 2021 11:56 PM

My grandma watched all the ABC shows. She hated the P&G shows except Guiding Light which was her personal favorite. She felt the ABC shows were hipper and modern whereas P&G were slow and seemed old fashioned. Again, except for Guiding Light. She would rave about the Roger years and the marital rape storyline, the clown mirror chasing, the jungle chasing. She said Guiding Light always seemed fresh, hip, and edgy.

by Anonymousreply 245September 10, 2021 12:33 AM

[quote]She felt the ABC shows were hipper and modern whereas P&G were slow and seemed old fashioned.

I totally get that. I'm currently listening to Eddie Drueding's AW from the 60s tapes. The show is filled with great drama and fun acting, but the organ music makes it seem so old fashioned - luckily the music was mostly played at the beginning and end of scenes, so it wasn't too bad. But it must have been weird to go from Days and The Doctors with orchestrated music to the organ music of Another World. And all of the CBS soaps were organ music soaps. LIAMST started with orchestrated music, but switched to to organ music.

by Anonymousreply 246September 10, 2021 2:31 AM

Surprised this hasn’t gotten more attention here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 11, 2021 1:16 AM

Martha Byrne has a new gig... shilling for wrinkle cream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248September 13, 2021 9:54 PM

At least she's not hawking the No! No! ladystache removal kit!

by Anonymousreply 249September 13, 2021 10:17 PM

The P&G soaps were always the old lady/gramma stories. ABC was young and hip.

by Anonymousreply 250September 13, 2021 10:46 PM

ATWT’s studio always needed diapers on hand. It really helped them to save money in the end when there was no time for breaks.

by Anonymousreply 251September 13, 2021 11:05 PM

Happy birthday, Eileen Fulton! 88 years young.

by Anonymousreply 252September 14, 2021 12:19 AM

This thread died. Why?

by Anonymousreply 253September 14, 2021 12:34 AM

Because the troll is just talking to itself.

by Anonymousreply 254September 14, 2021 12:36 AM

I have it blocked

by Anonymousreply 255September 14, 2021 12:37 AM

Amazing how much nicer this thread (and many others) becomes by just simply putting one single poster on IGNORE.

by Anonymousreply 256September 14, 2021 12:39 AM

You have to ignore him twice. He has two accounts.

by Anonymousreply 257September 14, 2021 1:40 AM

I made doo doo!

by Anonymousreply 258September 14, 2021 5:25 AM

Imagine being over 60 and finding jokes about old lady shit amusing

by Anonymousreply 259September 14, 2021 5:28 AM

^I resent that. I’m over 70! Get it right.

by Anonymousreply 260September 14, 2021 4:44 PM

Soooo did we start a new thread?

by Anonymousreply 261September 15, 2021 4:14 AM

The role of Mackenzie Cory is now being played by Dennis Cole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 15, 2021 4:59 AM

Yeah, did we start a new thread?

by Anonymousreply 263September 15, 2021 10:56 AM

This is still an active P&G thread, despite the lack of activity except from a certain troll. Some people have been posting on this new Connie Ford thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 15, 2021 12:19 PM

I always cringed when Alma would pronounce "Cecile" as "SEE-sill". Pronounce it correctly, you trailer trash psycho bitch.

by Anonymousreply 265September 15, 2021 4:49 PM

Former ATWT twink Paul Korver has grown into a daddy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266September 15, 2021 5:32 PM

He was a handsome guy. I never understood why Goutman kept hiring and firing actors in key roles like the many Chris Hugheses.

by Anonymousreply 267September 15, 2021 8:53 PM

Korver couldn't act. That was part of the problem. The endless parade of square jawed underwear hunks as Chris Hughes was pretty ridiculous, given that the other Hughes actors were not so great looking. No way would Don Hastings and Kathy Hays produce someone so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 268September 15, 2021 9:00 PM

That old Korvie wouldn’t bring me my special towels!

by Anonymousreply 269September 15, 2021 10:41 PM

Jenshen, wheresh the pahrty?

by Anonymousreply 270September 17, 2021 2:16 AM

^At Goutman’s ex’s house.

by Anonymousreply 271September 17, 2021 5:02 AM

R268 He was cute but he failed because he had no chemistry with Kristina Sisco/Abigail. They never quite got Chris right.

by Anonymousreply 272September 17, 2021 5:06 AM

R265 everyone on Dynasty except for Joan Collins pronounced it the same way.

by Anonymousreply 273September 17, 2021 1:56 PM

I'm watching 1999 ATWT during the Reid Hamilton storyline right now. I know this era is not well-regarded, but I'm enjoying it.

Kelley Menighan Hensley really was such an atrocious actress though. How in the world did she last 18 years? I just crack up laughing when she does that "mmmmmmmm" thing when she's crying.

by Anonymousreply 274September 17, 2021 9:56 PM

I used to love when Larry Bryggman would take pot shots at ATWT and soaps in general. When all the soap mags and viewers were proclaiming how Marland's ATWT was the best thing to come along since sliced bread, he was probably laughing at how awful the storytelling and dialogue would have been in any other genre. And he's right! I can't imagine any sane person watching these shows for anything but pretty faces and bodies, and for an occasional laugh. No one ever took them seriously.

by Anonymousreply 275September 17, 2021 10:29 PM

Whenever Bryggman would appear on the screen on ATWT, my mother would always say, 'that's one of Al Pacino's good friends'. I guess it would be a bit embarrassing to be an actor who was good friends with Pacino and be on a soap.

by Anonymousreply 276September 17, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] No one ever took them seriously.

Miss r275 is also outraged that they did not perform Shakespeare on [italic]The Real World.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 277September 18, 2021 6:21 AM

I’m in 1999. Georgia is hiding fuckable mimbo Eddie in Lucinda’s pool house. Lucinda finds boxer shorts and Georgia says she sleeps in them. A bewildered Lucinda says, “Back in my day we wore the tops.” 😭

by Anonymousreply 278September 18, 2021 6:22 AM

What I’m most surprised by in 1999 ATWT is how little CZP has to do. No wonder she didn’t mind the theatrics of jumping out a courtroom window later on. They really weren’t using her at all.

by Anonymousreply 279September 20, 2021 9:57 PM

I shshallsh washh a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 280September 20, 2021 11:16 PM

Why did Nick Kokotakis leave? He was fine as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 281September 21, 2021 12:38 AM

His daughter has cerebral palsy and he needed to take care of her

by Anonymousreply 282September 21, 2021 3:13 AM

So, did Connie Ford kick everyone in the cunt? Why's it so quiet?

What's happened to our lively P&G discussion?

The Connie Ford thread is just as quiet as this one.

by Anonymousreply 283September 26, 2021 2:17 AM

Ok I’ll liven it up.

Which P&G couples appeared to have great chemistry on camera but loathed each other ?

by Anonymousreply 284September 26, 2021 6:35 PM

Apparently Grant Aleksander and Judi Evans didn't get along off camera.

by Anonymousreply 285September 26, 2021 11:17 PM

seems like this thread is M'd

in any case here's a new one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286September 27, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote] Apparently Grant Aleksander and Judi Evans didn't get along off camera.

Well, it sounds like Judi believes Grant, Mikey and Krista mean girled her

And Grant and Mikey think Judi got favors and story because she was fucking the producer.

by Anonymousreply 287September 27, 2021 2:14 PM

Doug with Brando in "Julius Caesar."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288September 27, 2021 6:10 PM

Christopher Goutman was the guest on a Locher Room episode last week.

Interesting interview, but not a lot of earth shattering info revealed. These are some of the biggest reveals:

He explained the budget was so tight in the final years, they couldn't afford to buy green screens or props. That's why they did location shoots about once a week.

Also revealed he mishandled the Martha Byrne contract renewal situation, but said that at the time, he was very concerned about setting a precedent by giving into her demands.

Said it was pressure from P&G (responding to viewer complaints) that kept Luke and Noah from kissing on screen for so long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289September 27, 2021 11:25 PM

Apparently Goutman is also a budding author.

He revealed on the Locher Room that he has penned five novels in the past decade, all apparently self-published. His pen name is C.P. Goutman.

The most recent novel, published in Sept. 2020, is named Edge of Night. But don't get your hopes up thinking this is a behind the scenes tell all about the soap we loved. Apparently, it has little connection to the soap opera other than loosely basing some characters on Edge characters, especially Sky Whitney.

Here is the blurb from the Amazon page:

[quote]NYPD Detective David McIntire never thought he'd see his fiancé again after she left him five years ago. When the two reunite she is no longer Mary Burr but Sister Mary Catherine, a Catholic nun. Despite his resistance, she enlists him to investigate the death of her brother, who reportedly committed suicide while doing missionary work in Argentina. As they work together to uncover the truth, what they find pits them against one of New York’s oldest and most powerful families, the Whitneys, whose patriarch will do anything to protect his and the Church’s secrets. Always meeting at the edge of night in the catacombs beneath the parish church, they discover that the strange underground labyrinth possesses the key to unlock the mystery and bring the Whitney empire crashing down with it. Edge of Night is a high-adrenaline suspense thriller that travels across continents and a hundred years into the past, proving in the end that the corridors of power are no match for the enduring strength of love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290September 27, 2021 11:32 PM

R286 the entire board was Muriel’d.

by Anonymousreply 291September 28, 2021 5:02 PM

Did Goutman talk about his ex Ms McCabe or their lezzy daughter?

by Anonymousreply 292September 28, 2021 6:21 PM

Thank you, R289.

He just angers me so, I don't want to hear him talk, to be honest. I'm glad he acknowledges some mishandling of Martha's situation, but he didn't just mishandle it, he fucked it up beyond repair.

by Anonymousreply 293September 28, 2021 6:43 PM

Martha pulled a diva act and it backfired on her. Good for Goutman for not putting up with her shit.

by Anonymousreply 294September 28, 2021 7:05 PM

Nah, Martha was not a diva. She'd taken a 70 percent pay cut, and all she was asking for was to not cut her guarantee any further.

by Anonymousreply 295September 28, 2021 7:22 PM

Seriously though, how did Kelley Menighan Hensley last so long? Just because she was fucking John Hensley? It doesn’t make sense that they never recast her with someone good. From what I’ve seen of 1992 on YouTube she actually started out Ok and got *worse* with time.

Another one who shouldn’t have lasted is Terri Conn as Katie. Where I am in 1999 she is just awful. I think she got slightly better later on when she was more of a schemer and got exposed at the Endicotts, but they could have written the character off then and the last ten years wouldn’t have missed a beat.

by Anonymousreply 296September 29, 2021 3:40 AM

R147, I'm a little older; was about 8 when I started watching AW circa 1970; I recall Caroline Johnson poisoning Pat and multiple flashbacks Aunt Liz had of picking up a statue and starting to club Wayne Addison over the head; the flashbacks always dropped out before she conked him.

Then, one time, you saw the full flashback; Wayne grabs the statue and orders Liz out; then Walter Curtain comes in and finishes the job.

I have an odd odd memory, recalling minutia -- so reading Harding Lemay's memoir Eight Years in Another World brought it all back.

by Anonymousreply 297September 29, 2021 5:20 AM

What has Martha Byrne done since ATWT?

by Anonymousreply 298September 29, 2021 1:36 PM

Fans never understand the behind the scenes stuff. All they know is what they've made up in their own minds, usually based one person's account. I don't know Chris Goutman from Adam, but I do know that producing these shows is hard, especially when money is tight and you don't have the full support of the network and the production company. Luke and Noah aren't kissing. It's easy to blame Goutman, when the real culprit is bigots and the Network who gives into them. Martha Byrne is let go. Let's blame Goutman, and he took some responsibility. But money was tight and sometimes you have to make tough choices so you don't set a precedent.

Being the headwriter or EP of a soap is one of the most thankless jobs in entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 299September 29, 2021 2:10 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, would he a GREAT EP!!! But no one ever hires him. lolololololol

by Anonymousreply 300September 29, 2021 2:13 PM

I guess we should be glad that Jill Farrell Phelps didn’t take over ATWT. She would have had Nancy, Lisa, Kim and Bob shot to death in a mob hit at Memorial.

by Anonymousreply 301September 29, 2021 2:33 PM

Farren! I hate autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 302September 29, 2021 2:34 PM

^That would have been more interesting than what happened on ATWT in its last 10 years. Nancy added nothing to the show. Just an old battleaxe they rolled out every 2 or 3 months. Lisa couldn’t remember her lines. lol Bob and Kim were the tentpole couple. They were great.

by Anonymousreply 303September 29, 2021 3:27 PM

I actually didn't mind Katie for the first few years, though her connections to family were underplayed.

But as a Tracy Flick wannabe stirring up trouble with Henry and Holden....that was fun. Simon and Katie had its moments.

It's only after she and Carly took over the show that I began to despise her.

by Anonymousreply 304September 29, 2021 4:05 PM

Michael Tylo has died, according to a post on the Locher Room FB page.

by Anonymousreply 305September 29, 2021 10:25 PM

Vee, who is in the biz, and that fool slick jones think they can dictate who posts and what gets posted at SON. Insufferable!

by Anonymousreply 306September 30, 2021 12:07 AM

Does Sally Morina have the Alzheimer’s?

by Anonymousreply 307September 30, 2021 12:10 AM

How much money did Martha Byrne make?

by Anonymousreply 308September 30, 2021 12:15 AM

I wonder if ATWT tried to reach out to Heather Rattray after things did not work out with Martha Byrne. I liked Heather in the role.

by Anonymousreply 309September 30, 2021 12:18 AM

Michael Tylo has died at age 73.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 30, 2021 6:01 AM

Has Hunter Tylo commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 311September 30, 2021 6:07 AM

What was Martha Byrne’s salary before her 70% pay cut?

by Anonymousreply 312September 30, 2021 12:10 PM

nein

by Anonymousreply 313September 30, 2021 12:54 PM

Since someone threw a shit fit about new threads not being linked, let me make sure the new one is linked here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314October 14, 2021 6:50 PM

Anyone know why Lisa Brown is so reluctant to talk about her soap years now. Would love for her to do a Locher Room session on Quint and Nola.

by Anonymousreply 315October 15, 2021 1:26 AM

My favorite scene in AW is when Robert Delaney defaced Iris’ portrait and Mac’s bust. The reaction of Louise and later Iris -priceless !

by Anonymousreply 316October 15, 2021 3:06 AM

Ish the party shtill at Marksh and Colleensh?

by Anonymousreply 317October 15, 2021 3:21 AM

When will Queen Locher be interviewing Lady Camargo-Wyndham? That's the one I'm waiting for. I bet she has a ton of tea to spill and some great BTS stories.

by Anonymousreply 318October 15, 2021 4:17 AM

R315, I don't know...Lisa DID give a quote to one of the site about Michael's passing.

I saw the 'tribute' to him in Soap Opera Digest -- it just rehashed old Twitter quotes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319October 15, 2021 4:49 AM

Lisa’s worried that Queen Locher will ask her about her gay son.

by Anonymousreply 320October 15, 2021 9:42 AM

[quote]When will Queen Locher be interviewing Lady Camargo-Wyndham?

I doubt very much whether she would agree to do it. She seems uninterested in revisiting the past.

by Anonymousreply 321October 15, 2021 9:48 PM

Just got through watching the Linda Dano session of the Locher Room.

I highly recommend it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322October 21, 2021 9:41 PM

Rather tell you about Doug Weston...

by Anonymousreply 323October 21, 2021 9:43 PM

Oh Aunt Liz. Do keep up. We’ve all known for years about the love story of Linda and Frank. Nothing earth shattering there. Have you gone senile?

by Anonymousreply 324October 21, 2021 10:45 PM

Somebody on here said Linda didn’t get along with Henderson Forsythe when she did ATWT; I guess that old fool didn’t like the story, since it was first time he had to do something on the show other than look constipated and tell various Hughes and Stewart family members they were dying.

by Anonymousreply 325October 21, 2021 11:22 PM

Linda is lying. She has a new hookup practically every 6 mths since Frank died.

by Anonymousreply 326October 21, 2021 11:48 PM

Linda indicated in her Locher Room session she didn't really enjoy her time on ATWT or her first stint on OLTL. Was very reluctant to even audition for Felicia on AW.

by Anonymousreply 327October 22, 2021 12:23 AM

Linda always slept around the AW and OLTL sets. This is common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 328October 22, 2021 1:55 AM

Doesh anyone wantsh to shee my beauty shecret?

by Anonymousreply 329October 27, 2021 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!