Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Connie Ford..."no day at the beach"

Jackee dishes on her days on Another World.

what's a 'sightline'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2021 10:04 PM

Shocker! Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that smoking causes cancer.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 2:29 AM

Jackee meant "slaplines" not "sightlines".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2021 2:51 AM

Get the fuck out of my light!

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2021 2:51 PM

Get your tongue the fuck out of my cunt!

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2021 4:11 PM

Susan Keith, get over here and service me.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 12:18 PM

Back off, Connie! I saw her first. Go sniff around Judith McConnell.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 12:53 PM

Connie Ford?

I prefer talking about CONNIE FRANCIS

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 1:13 PM

A sight line is when some other actor is off camera, not quite ready to come into view, but they're standing in a way you can see them, and likely being distracting and/or in the way of something you might need to see. The idea is they should not be in an active actor's sightline until the right time or, if they are, blend in with whoever else really needs to be over there.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 1:50 PM

They used to call her Connie the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 1:56 PM

They were probably standing in the way of her cue cards. She and Hugh Marlowe were the biggest, and most obvious offenders, when it came to glancing off to the side at the cue cards.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 2:28 PM

Beverlee was nicer than Connie, but she would cut a bitch that got in her light or in her sightlines. Woe to the untrained model who tried it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 2:32 PM

Bev hated Gail Brown because she always tried to steal scenes from her. Bev finally gave up and let Gail have her way.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 2:47 PM

Poor Bev was always overworked. The poor dear. Only getting 12 weeks off a year and never working a 5 day work week. How brutal the biz is. My heart bleeds.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 3:17 PM

Carole Shelley was the consummate Iris. Bev who?

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 3:19 PM

Sometimes you're having a shit day, and DL makes you feel at home.

Bless it.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 3:23 PM

I heard that Mr. Paul Rauch seeked out Connie’s grave and left a huge shit on it. He really really really hated her.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 4:00 PM

Bev was so lazy. Never wanted to work or earn her keep in any cast. Everyone was glad when she left each of her shows.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 11:03 PM

I’ve never heard the term “sightline” on all the sets I’ve worked on over the years. It’s always been “eyeline.”

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 3:37 AM

According to various interviews about Connie on AW, she liked to test and tease the newbies. She would give them shit. if they gave her shit back, they had her respect and friendship. According to legend, she even did that to VW when Connie told her that VW wasn't playing a scene the way Robin would have played it. VW gave it right back to her and they became lifelong friends afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 3:50 AM

Did Connie like Ann Wedgeworth? Ann seemed flighty and very theater diva-ish, and I couldn't see Connie putting up with that at all. Maybe I'm imagining this, but didn't Connie have some run-in with Jennifer Leak, who played Olive, because of her diva behavior?

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 4:41 AM

Connie was a miserable old dyke.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 5:22 AM

Connie as a brunette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 5:31 AM

That photo at r22 looks to be from fall 1972.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 5:47 AM

I love Jackee.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 1:56 PM

There are black people on soaps now? REALLY? I'm totally shocked. I haven't watched since the late 80's as a young gayling and figured blacks would have their own soaps, like they have their own channel.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 1:57 PM

Were Lily and Felicia scissoring?

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 2:18 PM

Who had the bigger cock-Connie Ford or Paul Rauch?

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 2:27 PM

Agnes tried to lure Connie to AMC to replace the original actress playing Kate Martin who wasn't working out.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 3:33 PM

In R22's photo, who is the guy in the back row, far right?

He's the primo piece of ass in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 1:23 PM

That's Stephen Bolster who played Rachel's second husband, Ted Clark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 1:32 PM

Re-reading Lemay's book and never noticed before.....I guess Margie Impert's casting was a parting shot by producer Lyle Hill, who was clashing with Lemay and was on his way out of AW, as he was headed to produce the spinoff, Somerset.

Pretty much the first thing Rauch did at AW was fire Impert and get Strasser back short term.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 3:15 PM

That's not the fucking way Robbie would've done it! Fuck this shit!

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 3:42 PM

When I was a teenager I actually did a short film with Bolster, we both got put up in a hotel in Connecticut for the week. This was probably a few years after he left AW in the mid 1970s. I had the hots for him even though he was something of a self-absorbed dumbbell. He was married and almost certainly straight but I wouldn’t have put it past him to have allowed TPTB to give him blow jobs. I don’t know if he ever noticed my sexual desire for him. If he did he wasn’t so dumb as to actually address it.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 6:08 PM

If everyone hated her, how did she stay on contract? She wasn't that integral to the show.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 11:12 PM

Harding Lemay loved her.

It sounds like she was standoffish and prickly at first to people, then she’d soften if you “proved” yourself .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 11:43 PM

She had a high Q rating. High, but not the highest! She also received a lot of teen fail mail. A lot, not a ton that would qualify her for all-time record of most teen fan mail in a given year.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 11:50 PM

I saw her in an episode of the old TV series "The Naked City" with Paul Burke. She played a total bitch to perfection and at the end you understood why she turned out as she had. Excellent performance by her.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 11:53 PM

She was such an OTT theater actress. Forget the back row. She played to the ticket taker outside. Horrible horrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2021 1:00 AM

They should"ve hooked up Ada and Aunt Lez Muffchews.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2021 1:18 AM

Jackeé also plays to the ticket taker outside....and the people on the M8 bus driving by...

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2021 1:19 AM

Oh we can be sure that Ada and Aunt Lez bumped pussies in secret.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2021 2:23 AM

Which one of you listed Victoria Wyndham under Children on the Google search page for Connie?

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2021 4:03 AM

Can somebody tell that curmudgeon vetsoapfan to stop posting his garbage about frumpy Ellen Stewart in the Y&R threads at SON?!? Nobody cares. Go watch Youtube clips of TGL and Fat Ed Bauer for the zillionth time.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2021 7:00 PM

So VW’s real name is Felice Camargo? Her son Christian was born out of wedlock so that’s why he has her maiden name?

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2021 7:07 PM

R43 SON is a mess! There’s newbies trying to post but the old bullies drown them out because they weren’t born 50 years ago when it was TGL. They don’t welcome Gen X’s over there. And heaven help ya if you think Chandler Massey smirks instead of acts. Blasphemy not to love Smirky Chandler.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2021 7:43 PM

IMDB says Felice is Lady EAB's sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2021 7:52 PM

You know Mahhhhh-rey,

I think she may be a dyyyyykke..

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2021 2:02 AM

r45 soapsuds is a CREEP about Smirky! Gross!

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2021 2:12 AM

Vicky EAB HATED Bev McKinsey’s complaining. She never wanted to work and got 12 weeks of vacation per year! She was one of the highest paid stars in soaps!

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2021 2:15 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, forced Vicky Wyndham to use a British accent during AW’s final years.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote] She and Hugh Marlowe were the biggest, and most obvious offenders, when it came to glancing off to the side at the cue cards.

Hello? I invented that.

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2021 2:32 AM

When it comes to soaps, I don't begrudge the actors using cue cards. In terms of learning lines, they have the hardest fucking job in entertainment, especially if they are a big name major character.

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2021 2:36 AM

I used to work on a daytime set. I had an actor berate me for walking in his sightline, so I asked him what that was as clearly I made a mistake. He told me to imagine a laser coming out of his eyes, that is his sightline. I said you mean to tell me three cameras, pas, and cue card people spread around the set in a c formation and me getting up from BEHIND them and walking out breaks your sightline? He got so mad he asked I be off the set while he was shooting. I told him no problem. I was the show's PR rep and we were there to take pictures but Happy to skip him.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 2:53 AM

Cue cards and later teleprompters were invaluable for soap actors and really a necessity because of the amount of dialog to be performed on a 5 days a week basis and until the 1970s, many of the soaps were still being done live on air.

A weekly show gives actors about 3 days to work on their lines as well as rehearsals. The production pace of soap operas allowed for 24 hours of memorizing the dialog with one rehearsal and then the performance whether live to broadcast or live to tape. Movie actors and nighttime television actors would find the daytime restrictions impossible to work with.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 3:00 AM

One of the nursing home patients who posts at SON argued that 1950-51 is Guiding Light’s best era. Omg. I can’t breathe. It wasn’t even on TV yet.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2021 3:06 AM

Daytime PR vet -- more stories please. And we need names...

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] One of the nursing home patients who posts at SON argued that 1950-51 is Guiding Light’s best era. Omg. I can’t breathe. It wasn’t even on TV yet.

Not on TV, but it was on radio since 1937. 1950-51 might have been the time when Meta killed her asshole husband Ted who was responsible for their son Chuckie's death.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2021 3:26 AM

Which family was fatter? The Bauers or the Lewises? Billy looked like he never met a bucket of chicken he didn't like, and Josh was an endomorph. And Reva was the size of a hot air balloon by the time the show went off the air. The Spauldings were trim and slim, except for fat Hope who was technically a fat Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2021 3:39 AM

Fat Bert and Fat HB would have made magic between the sheets! They should have brought Fat Ed back for Fat Reva at the end. Vetsoapfool at SON would have had a stroke!

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2021 3:43 AM

Fat Billy and Fat Hillary would've worked. Instead, they were paired with fit actors who only made them look fatter.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2021 4:26 AM

Ellen Wheeler said that the original thought for THE GL’s last episode was for Reva snd Josh to float away in a hot air balloon ala Nola & Quint’s wedding but they soon realized that fat Reva would not float in anything. Vetsoapfan is still bitter about putting fat Reva in a truck with Josh.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2021 5:01 AM

Nancy Hughes was trim, but a diet consisting solely of vinegar will keep one slim.

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2021 5:08 AM

R53, sounds like he's a real asshole. You dodge a bullet.

What network and coast were you on?

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2021 5:21 AM

Victoria Wyndham changed her name because her father told her that it would be hard to get work as a Mexican American. Her son took Camargo because he's proud of his roots. Felice is Victoria's sister.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2021 5:29 AM

Why wasn't Victoria Wyndham promoted the way Lucci, Hall, and Zimmer were? Even Slezak got more attention.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2021 2:27 PM

P&G was reluctant to promote the individual actors on its shows. Wanted the audience to think of the character, not the actor. Didn't even want the audience to know the actors names.

That hearkens back to the Irna Phillips days when she would refer to the actors to their faces by their character names.

It wasn't until the late 70s that P&G began to really promote the individual actors. But even then ABC had much better promotion for its stars.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 2:39 PM

I doubt Susan Lucci would have become the name star that she did if she had been on a P&G soap.

Kim Zimmer was very good at self promotion. She knew how to get a lot of mileage out of Reva's popularity.

Same with Deidre Hall.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 2:42 PM

I can see that with the P&G stars, especially since the shows were New York-based. Many of them concentrated on theater opportunities, treating daytime like a steady paycheck vs. their real passion. They weren't all over the soap mags when I was a kid. Growing up, it was all about DAYS, GH and Y&R. AMC got covers for special events mostly.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 3:01 PM

The P&G seemed to be more "actory" shows, while the Bell shows, Days, and the ABC shows had stars. However, AMC and OLTL did have some really talented actors (ahem, not Lucci), but ABC seemed to promote the stars. The Bell show actors were mostly godawful IMO.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2021 3:09 PM

I grew up watching soaps so when they started being canceled, I really tried to pick up new ones. I just could never get into Y&R, B&B and GH. Heather Tom is the only actor on B&B, IMO (now that Flannery's gone). I watched DAYS as a kid in the 80s but when I tune in now, it seems sad to me. My favorites were One Life to Live, Guiding Light, and Another World (in that order) and I just never found any of the remaining shows capable of taking their place.

I'd rather watch Youtube eps of Edge of Night rather than waste time on the remaining shows.

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]The Bell show actors were mostly godawful IMO.

Back in the day, i.e., when there were P&G shows to compare the Bell shows to, I thought the Bell actors were only godawful because of the writing, which was beyond godawful. No one talked IRL the way the citizens of Genoa City talked.

Douglas Marland's "gossip as recap" was so much easier to listen to than each Bell character defining his or her connection at the beginning of each scene to each of his or her scene partners.

I would watch, and then give up on Y&R after a week or so. I'd go back a month later, and it was the same shit. It only got better when LML became HW, and thankfully, no one has gone back to Bill and Kay's daily abuse of the English language.

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2021 3:54 PM

Everybody on Y&R was always in an “involvement” or on “holiday’ but then there was

Jill: You old bat, Phillip loved you

Katherine: You used your youth and your sexuality to lure him away

Jill: You did that with your smoking and your drinking and your bad breath and your stable boys

Katherine: You were nothing more than a distraction displaying your body around the pool like a wanton sl…

Jill: Phillip never knew love until I showed him what love was you wretched hag

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2021 4:24 PM

I remember the days when my show was The Guiding Light. Then they dropped The. Worst mistake in soaps, ever!!!!

by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2021 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!