Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Connie Ford..."no day at the beach"

Jackee dishes on her days on Another World.

what's a 'sightline'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370October 21, 2021 9:40 PM

Shocker! Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that smoking causes cancer.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 2:29 AM

Jackee meant "slaplines" not "sightlines".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2021 2:51 AM

Get the fuck out of my light!

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2021 2:51 PM

Get your tongue the fuck out of my cunt!

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2021 4:11 PM

Susan Keith, get over here and service me.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 12:18 PM

Back off, Connie! I saw her first. Go sniff around Judith McConnell.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 12:53 PM

Connie Ford?

I prefer talking about CONNIE FRANCIS

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 1:13 PM

A sight line is when some other actor is off camera, not quite ready to come into view, but they're standing in a way you can see them, and likely being distracting and/or in the way of something you might need to see. The idea is they should not be in an active actor's sightline until the right time or, if they are, blend in with whoever else really needs to be over there.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 1:50 PM

They used to call her Connie the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 1:56 PM

They were probably standing in the way of her cue cards. She and Hugh Marlowe were the biggest, and most obvious offenders, when it came to glancing off to the side at the cue cards.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 2:28 PM

Beverlee was nicer than Connie, but she would cut a bitch that got in her light or in her sightlines. Woe to the untrained model who tried it.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 2:32 PM

Bev hated Gail Brown because she always tried to steal scenes from her. Bev finally gave up and let Gail have her way.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 2:47 PM

Poor Bev was always overworked. The poor dear. Only getting 12 weeks off a year and never working a 5 day work week. How brutal the biz is. My heart bleeds.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 3:17 PM

Carole Shelley was the consummate Iris. Bev who?

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 3:19 PM

Sometimes you're having a shit day, and DL makes you feel at home.

Bless it.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 3:23 PM

I heard that Mr. Paul Rauch seeked out Connie’s grave and left a huge shit on it. He really really really hated her.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 4:00 PM

Bev was so lazy. Never wanted to work or earn her keep in any cast. Everyone was glad when she left each of her shows.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 11:03 PM

I’ve never heard the term “sightline” on all the sets I’ve worked on over the years. It’s always been “eyeline.”

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 3:37 AM

According to various interviews about Connie on AW, she liked to test and tease the newbies. She would give them shit. if they gave her shit back, they had her respect and friendship. According to legend, she even did that to VW when Connie told her that VW wasn't playing a scene the way Robin would have played it. VW gave it right back to her and they became lifelong friends afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 3:50 AM

Did Connie like Ann Wedgeworth? Ann seemed flighty and very theater diva-ish, and I couldn't see Connie putting up with that at all. Maybe I'm imagining this, but didn't Connie have some run-in with Jennifer Leak, who played Olive, because of her diva behavior?

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 4:41 AM

Connie was a miserable old dyke.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 5:22 AM

Connie as a brunette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 5:31 AM

That photo at r22 looks to be from fall 1972.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 5:47 AM

I love Jackee.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 1:56 PM

There are black people on soaps now? REALLY? I'm totally shocked. I haven't watched since the late 80's as a young gayling and figured blacks would have their own soaps, like they have their own channel.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 1:57 PM

Were Lily and Felicia scissoring?

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 2:18 PM

Who had the bigger cock-Connie Ford or Paul Rauch?

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 2:27 PM

Agnes tried to lure Connie to AMC to replace the original actress playing Kate Martin who wasn't working out.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 3:33 PM

In R22's photo, who is the guy in the back row, far right?

He's the primo piece of ass in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 1:23 PM

That's Stephen Bolster who played Rachel's second husband, Ted Clark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 1:32 PM

Re-reading Lemay's book and never noticed before.....I guess Margie Impert's casting was a parting shot by producer Lyle Hill, who was clashing with Lemay and was on his way out of AW, as he was headed to produce the spinoff, Somerset.

Pretty much the first thing Rauch did at AW was fire Impert and get Strasser back short term.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 3:15 PM

That's not the fucking way Robbie would've done it! Fuck this shit!

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 3:42 PM

When I was a teenager I actually did a short film with Bolster, we both got put up in a hotel in Connecticut for the week. This was probably a few years after he left AW in the mid 1970s. I had the hots for him even though he was something of a self-absorbed dumbbell. He was married and almost certainly straight but I wouldn’t have put it past him to have allowed TPTB to give him blow jobs. I don’t know if he ever noticed my sexual desire for him. If he did he wasn’t so dumb as to actually address it.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 6:08 PM

If everyone hated her, how did she stay on contract? She wasn't that integral to the show.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 11:12 PM

Harding Lemay loved her.

It sounds like she was standoffish and prickly at first to people, then she’d soften if you “proved” yourself .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 11:43 PM

She had a high Q rating. High, but not the highest! She also received a lot of teen fail mail. A lot, not a ton that would qualify her for all-time record of most teen fan mail in a given year.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 11:50 PM

I saw her in an episode of the old TV series "The Naked City" with Paul Burke. She played a total bitch to perfection and at the end you understood why she turned out as she had. Excellent performance by her.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 11:53 PM

She was such an OTT theater actress. Forget the back row. She played to the ticket taker outside. Horrible horrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2021 1:00 AM

They should"ve hooked up Ada and Aunt Lez Muffchews.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2021 1:18 AM

Jackeé also plays to the ticket taker outside....and the people on the M8 bus driving by...

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2021 1:19 AM

Oh we can be sure that Ada and Aunt Lez bumped pussies in secret.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2021 2:23 AM

Which one of you listed Victoria Wyndham under Children on the Google search page for Connie?

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2021 4:03 AM

Can somebody tell that curmudgeon vetsoapfan to stop posting his garbage about frumpy Ellen Stewart in the Y&R threads at SON?!? Nobody cares. Go watch Youtube clips of TGL and Fat Ed Bauer for the zillionth time.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2021 7:00 PM

So VW’s real name is Felice Camargo? Her son Christian was born out of wedlock so that’s why he has her maiden name?

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2021 7:07 PM

R43 SON is a mess! There’s newbies trying to post but the old bullies drown them out because they weren’t born 50 years ago when it was TGL. They don’t welcome Gen X’s over there. And heaven help ya if you think Chandler Massey smirks instead of acts. Blasphemy not to love Smirky Chandler.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2021 7:43 PM

IMDB says Felice is Lady EAB's sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2021 7:52 PM

You know Mahhhhh-rey,

I think she may be a dyyyyykke..

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2021 2:02 AM

r45 soapsuds is a CREEP about Smirky! Gross!

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2021 2:12 AM

Vicky EAB HATED Bev McKinsey’s complaining. She never wanted to work and got 12 weeks of vacation per year! She was one of the highest paid stars in soaps!

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2021 2:15 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, forced Vicky Wyndham to use a British accent during AW’s final years.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote] She and Hugh Marlowe were the biggest, and most obvious offenders, when it came to glancing off to the side at the cue cards.

Hello? I invented that.

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2021 2:32 AM

When it comes to soaps, I don't begrudge the actors using cue cards. In terms of learning lines, they have the hardest fucking job in entertainment, especially if they are a big name major character.

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2021 2:36 AM

I used to work on a daytime set. I had an actor berate me for walking in his sightline, so I asked him what that was as clearly I made a mistake. He told me to imagine a laser coming out of his eyes, that is his sightline. I said you mean to tell me three cameras, pas, and cue card people spread around the set in a c formation and me getting up from BEHIND them and walking out breaks your sightline? He got so mad he asked I be off the set while he was shooting. I told him no problem. I was the show's PR rep and we were there to take pictures but Happy to skip him.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 2:53 AM

Cue cards and later teleprompters were invaluable for soap actors and really a necessity because of the amount of dialog to be performed on a 5 days a week basis and until the 1970s, many of the soaps were still being done live on air.

A weekly show gives actors about 3 days to work on their lines as well as rehearsals. The production pace of soap operas allowed for 24 hours of memorizing the dialog with one rehearsal and then the performance whether live to broadcast or live to tape. Movie actors and nighttime television actors would find the daytime restrictions impossible to work with.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 3:00 AM

One of the nursing home patients who posts at SON argued that 1950-51 is Guiding Light’s best era. Omg. I can’t breathe. It wasn’t even on TV yet.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2021 3:06 AM

Daytime PR vet -- more stories please. And we need names...

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] One of the nursing home patients who posts at SON argued that 1950-51 is Guiding Light’s best era. Omg. I can’t breathe. It wasn’t even on TV yet.

Not on TV, but it was on radio since 1937. 1950-51 might have been the time when Meta killed her asshole husband Ted who was responsible for their son Chuckie's death.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2021 3:26 AM

Which family was fatter? The Bauers or the Lewises? Billy looked like he never met a bucket of chicken he didn't like, and Josh was an endomorph. And Reva was the size of a hot air balloon by the time the show went off the air. The Spauldings were trim and slim, except for fat Hope who was technically a fat Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2021 3:39 AM

Fat Bert and Fat HB would have made magic between the sheets! They should have brought Fat Ed back for Fat Reva at the end. Vetsoapfool at SON would have had a stroke!

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2021 3:43 AM

Fat Billy and Fat Hillary would've worked. Instead, they were paired with fit actors who only made them look fatter.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2021 4:26 AM

Ellen Wheeler said that the original thought for THE GL’s last episode was for Reva snd Josh to float away in a hot air balloon ala Nola & Quint’s wedding but they soon realized that fat Reva would not float in anything. Vetsoapfan is still bitter about putting fat Reva in a truck with Josh.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2021 5:01 AM

Nancy Hughes was trim, but a diet consisting solely of vinegar will keep one slim.

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2021 5:08 AM

R53, sounds like he's a real asshole. You dodge a bullet.

What network and coast were you on?

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2021 5:21 AM

Victoria Wyndham changed her name because her father told her that it would be hard to get work as a Mexican American. Her son took Camargo because he's proud of his roots. Felice is Victoria's sister.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2021 5:29 AM

Why wasn't Victoria Wyndham promoted the way Lucci, Hall, and Zimmer were? Even Slezak got more attention.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2021 2:27 PM

P&G was reluctant to promote the individual actors on its shows. Wanted the audience to think of the character, not the actor. Didn't even want the audience to know the actors names.

That hearkens back to the Irna Phillips days when she would refer to the actors to their faces by their character names.

It wasn't until the late 70s that P&G began to really promote the individual actors. But even then ABC had much better promotion for its stars.

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 2:39 PM

I doubt Susan Lucci would have become the name star that she did if she had been on a P&G soap.

Kim Zimmer was very good at self promotion. She knew how to get a lot of mileage out of Reva's popularity.

Same with Deidre Hall.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 2:42 PM

I can see that with the P&G stars, especially since the shows were New York-based. Many of them concentrated on theater opportunities, treating daytime like a steady paycheck vs. their real passion. They weren't all over the soap mags when I was a kid. Growing up, it was all about DAYS, GH and Y&R. AMC got covers for special events mostly.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 3:01 PM

The P&G seemed to be more "actory" shows, while the Bell shows, Days, and the ABC shows had stars. However, AMC and OLTL did have some really talented actors (ahem, not Lucci), but ABC seemed to promote the stars. The Bell show actors were mostly godawful IMO.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2021 3:09 PM

I grew up watching soaps so when they started being canceled, I really tried to pick up new ones. I just could never get into Y&R, B&B and GH. Heather Tom is the only actor on B&B, IMO (now that Flannery's gone). I watched DAYS as a kid in the 80s but when I tune in now, it seems sad to me. My favorites were One Life to Live, Guiding Light, and Another World (in that order) and I just never found any of the remaining shows capable of taking their place.

I'd rather watch Youtube eps of Edge of Night rather than waste time on the remaining shows.

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote]The Bell show actors were mostly godawful IMO.

Back in the day, i.e., when there were P&G shows to compare the Bell shows to, I thought the Bell actors were only godawful because of the writing, which was beyond godawful. No one talked IRL the way the citizens of Genoa City talked.

Douglas Marland's "gossip as recap" was so much easier to listen to than each Bell character defining his or her connection at the beginning of each scene to each of his or her scene partners.

I would watch, and then give up on Y&R after a week or so. I'd go back a month later, and it was the same shit. It only got better when LML became HW, and thankfully, no one has gone back to Bill and Kay's daily abuse of the English language.

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2021 3:54 PM

Everybody on Y&R was always in an “involvement” or on “holiday’ but then there was

Jill: You old bat, Phillip loved you

Katherine: You used your youth and your sexuality to lure him away

Jill: You did that with your smoking and your drinking and your bad breath and your stable boys

Katherine: You were nothing more than a distraction displaying your body around the pool like a wanton sl…

Jill: Phillip never knew love until I showed him what love was you wretched hag

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2021 4:24 PM

I remember the days when my show was The Guiding Light. Then they dropped The. Worst mistake in soaps, ever!!!!

by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2021 10:04 PM

I would say that the ABC soaps benefited from being in house productions, in terms of publicity.

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2021 10:49 PM

The B&W Perry Mason shows run 4:00-6:00PM and 8:00-10:00 PM weekdays on FETV (Family Entertainment TV), Have seen Connie in a few episodes, usually as a tough broad. No stretch.

by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2021 10:51 PM

Goutman's up next for the Locher Room Asslicking Session.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2021 11:02 PM

OMG, Miss Locher is going to fawn all over Goutman. I wonder Mrs. Goutman will be joining them, or she is away at "the facility" again.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2021 2:25 AM

Goutman has a lezzy daughter with McCabe. Viv told us that he would gave been Pissed if his son was gay too. But he’s not. Like father like son, eating pussy anywhere he can get it. But the hell with the lez daughter.

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2021 3:38 AM

Did Chris eat out that little hussy, Colleen? My, she was such a little tramp, wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2021 3:42 AM

Thriller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2021 3:50 AM

Connie always had the old lady hairdo.

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2021 9:55 AM

Pussy. Yum yum in my tum tum!

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2021 10:59 AM

Geri Court was not a lesbian. She used to be seen about town with the handsome David O' Brien, her Doctors co-star. The mags used to feature them all the time and even implied they were an item.

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2021 12:40 PM

Yeah. Geri and David used to double date with Joel Crothers and Velekka Gray.

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2021 1:34 PM

Thanks for the info, r84. They were all popular NY soap and theater actors in the 70s, so I can see the four of them hanging out and double dating. It must have been an exciting time to be a NY actor. I think Joel and Velekka were on and off during most of the 70s, but they more formally became a couple after he was diagnosed with cancer. Joel and Geri were on so many soaps, but curiously enough their paths never crossed on screen I don't think.

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2021 1:58 PM

Linda Dano on Locher

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2021 10:19 PM

[BOLD] Whatever the fuck THAT means. {/BOLD}

by Anonymousreply 87September 19, 2021 12:52 AM

ah, fuck

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2021 12:52 AM

I was never a big fan of Linda Dano. I thought she was overrated, and Felicia Gallant was over the top. I much more preferred Donna and Cecile.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2021 1:28 AM

I never watched AW, but I saw Felicia a few times, and she seemed like an ABC soap character plopped into a P&G show. I guess ABC agreed since after, AW was cancelled they signed Linda Dano and featured her on ALL their soaps.

by Anonymousreply 90September 19, 2021 1:50 AM

Didn't ABC attempt to buy the rights to the Felicia Gallant character from P&G?

by Anonymousreply 91September 19, 2021 1:54 AM

Were any of the Jamie's straight? Larry Lau is at least bi, right?

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2021 2:39 AM

Lau and the one with curly hair ( who I thought was totally wrong for the part).

The best Jamie was Bekins.

The sexiest Jamie was Todd.

The most interesting Jamie was Lau because he was essentially replaying the Steve/Alice/Rachel triangle. There were scenes between Lau and Heche where you believed they were actually fucking in real life and Lau's Jamie had edges.

by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2021 3:38 AM

R93, great analysis on the Jamies.

Stephen Yates had played Marianne's bf on the show before so I couldn't get past that; Bekins was the best but Lau was quite good too.

by Anonymousreply 94September 19, 2021 7:49 AM

[quote]Didn't ABC attempt to buy the rights to the Felicia Gallant character from P&G?

Yes, Dano being maneuvered to ABC came right from the top - Angela Shapiro, Head of Daytime. P&G would not part with Felicia for any amount. Rae Cummings was the second choice.

Her contract was $5m, over 5 years, and appearances on 5 shows - OLTL, AMC, PC, GH, and The View. And reportedly it left some other ABC actresses --- livid.

Of course, after the big buildup was over (on the second day of her return) it turns out to be a massive flop, and Dano films all her scenes looking as if she's stifling a yawn the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 95September 19, 2021 10:21 AM

r56 it was Peter Brown. He was not well-liked on the set. Bad casting decision. He was well past daytime hunk status but they cast him anyway.

by Anonymousreply 96September 19, 2021 2:16 PM

Peter Brown was dreadful on every show he was ever on. I think his last one was B&B.

by Anonymousreply 97September 19, 2021 2:18 PM

And speaking of actors with the last name Brown.....

One wonders what GL might have been with Ben Warren played by Philip Brown, who was the one originally cast as Ben. Not sure why he was recast.

Brown is 5 years younger than Hunt Block (who is 68 years old).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 19, 2021 2:21 PM

Bell would cast his shows for a look. If the actor looked like what he though the character was in his head and they could line read, they were in. East coast shows had plenty of broadway talent to pull from. Most of them just wanted to be a working actor and soaps gave them that, a bit of notarity and all the men or women they could ever want to bang. Most daytimes had an anchor star or stars. Older actors who were semi famous in the talkies.

by Anonymousreply 99September 19, 2021 2:21 PM

Daytime in NYC provided a valuable source of employment for Broadway actors and it continued until the end. One of my favorite new characters from the last decade of OLTL was Evangeline played by, now Broadway Legend, Renée Elise Goldsberry.

by Anonymousreply 100September 19, 2021 2:49 PM

broadway legend Renee Elise Goldsberry??

legend is means different things to different people I guess

by Anonymousreply 101September 19, 2021 2:57 PM

Bell also cast a lot of people he worked with in the past, especially Days, on his shows. Flannery, Susan Hayes, Peter Brown, the lady who played Trish Clayton, Robert LeClair...

by Anonymousreply 102September 19, 2021 3:12 PM

The SON board might be the most miserable group of people ever assembled. Check out the ATWT thread. Nobody cares about your boycott of Queen Locher’s interview with Goutman. Go listen to your radio soaps. FFS.

by Anonymousreply 103September 19, 2021 4:59 PM

Don't you DARE threaten me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 19, 2021 5:03 PM

Why was a great film star like Constance Ford slumming on a daytime soap opera? It's interesting that two of her other adult co-stars in A Summer Place would also wind down their careers on soaps: Richard Egan on Capitol, and Dorothy McGuire on Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 105September 19, 2021 6:07 PM

Hush up, Connie. I'm still Queen of the Daytime Dykes!

by Anonymousreply 106September 19, 2021 6:09 PM

Think again, Sue!

by Anonymousreply 107September 19, 2021 6:11 PM

R105, as actresses get older, there are less and less acting opportunities for them. I suspect Connie did daytime because she wanted to do what she loved and keep a roof over her head.

by Anonymousreply 108September 19, 2021 6:12 PM

Ada was practically orgasmic at Liz's return. I wonder if Connie and Irene bumped pussies at some point while taping this episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 19, 2021 6:17 PM

R95, it does not surprise me that it was a massive flop. Dano was over rated.

by Anonymousreply 110September 19, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]Why was a great film star like Constance Ford slumming on a daytime soap opera?

Connie was more a supporting player, then she hit 35 and went to TV and then daytime TV. She also loved doing theatre, which is probably why she ended up in NYC and doing daytime to supplement her stage work. Connie gives me Eve Arden vibes in a lot of her work. Plus she was friends with Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 111September 19, 2021 6:18 PM

Connie makes Eve Arden look like a novitiate nun.

by Anonymousreply 112September 19, 2021 6:22 PM

R96, I worked for Peter Brown’s agents for a bit. Not a nice guy butI still fantasized about sex with him. He had a blonde bimbo for a wife. They visited the office together once and they were annoying as hell.

by Anonymousreply 113September 19, 2021 6:28 PM

I remember Peter Brown as Roger Forbes #2 on Loving. I liked the first actor, John Shearin, and never understood why he was let go in favor of Brown.

by Anonymousreply 114September 19, 2021 6:32 PM

nope

by Anonymousreply 115September 19, 2021 7:00 PM

Rae Cummings' real first name was Gretel; Dano played the part way back in the day; late 70s early 80s, I believe in a triangle with Herb and Dorian.

I think there was another guy; not sure.

Rae was a bust but then the writing didn't help either; on one soap, she was looking for her daughter, on another, a diary or bible on another I forget.

Angela had an idea to cross Dano over to all the shows, but what the soaps have needed for decades aren't ideas but WRITERS.

by Anonymousreply 116September 19, 2021 7:11 PM

They stupidly made Rae Myrtle's daughter and Skye's bio mother in order to tie her familially to all three soaps. Evidently, JFP and McTavish devised Rae's story arc to encompass all three shows, even though I believe McTavish was OLTL HW at the time. It was all just so awful.

by Anonymousreply 117September 19, 2021 7:18 PM

It's kind of funny to think of how fearful the other networks were of Passions. Did they really think hiring Linda Dano (who is a great lady and I liked Felicia) was the secret to beating Passions? A very strange time in daytime which made no sense. Even the AW characters who went over to ATWT didn't really make a whole lot of sense, except in the case of Tom Eplin who is rumored to have had a pay or play deal.

by Anonymousreply 118September 19, 2021 7:25 PM

The thing was, people *liked* Jake. I don't know what happened backstage, but Eplin and Lesli Kay seemed to have good chemistry, he worked well with Hubbard and the various other vets in his story, etc.

Most of the time that shit fails because the old characters don't match with the new but this case seemed to be working and suddenly, Jake is killed off and all that work was done for naught.

by Anonymousreply 119September 19, 2021 7:28 PM

Linda Dano had a high Q rating and was very popular with viewers. She was also BFFs with JFP and Angela Shapiro.

by Anonymousreply 120September 19, 2021 7:29 PM

by Anonymousreply 121September 19, 2021 7:34 PM

Peter Brown-Peter Brown?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 19, 2021 7:34 PM

I need to hear this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 19, 2021 7:41 PM

It can't be any better than this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 19, 2021 7:42 PM

Or this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 19, 2021 7:42 PM

ahem, that's Mary STEWART!

by Anonymousreply 126September 19, 2021 7:45 PM

Don't no one come for my Mary Stuart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 19, 2021 7:45 PM

Mary had Ann Williams fired.

by Anonymousreply 128September 19, 2021 7:47 PM

Mary was as miserable as an SON poster, like Vee, who is in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 129September 19, 2021 7:51 PM

R127 I love me some Mary!

She had a pleasant voice, if not an operatic one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 19, 2021 7:54 PM

Phoebe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 19, 2021 7:55 PM

Mary Stuart tries to steal the spotlight from my beloved Mary Fickett, but Babs is having none of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 19, 2021 7:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 133September 19, 2021 8:18 PM

I heard you calling me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 19, 2021 8:22 PM

The posters at SON want to be as miserable as Connie

by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2021 8:41 PM

The note on the clip above made me laugh.

Smell her! "Do not attempt to claim copyright for this video. I have countersued, and won the right to post all of these episodes."

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2021 8:51 PM

Connie AND Kathleen Widdoes were in that anthology

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2021 8:55 PM

R135 SON is the place for misery. And that perv Soapsuds is going on and on and on about Locher deleting his comments. ATWT has been off the air for over a decade. It’s dead. What does anyone expect of Goutman now? When ATWT was on the air, Goutman said he doesn’t read viewer comments. You think he’s gonna start caring now that the show has been off the air for years? Dumbasses. SON is the place for misery.

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 9:14 PM

>>>>>>>>

by Anonymousreply 139September 19, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote]Peter Brown-Peter Brown?

Peter Brown-Peter Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 19, 2021 9:19 PM

Well, r140, this page is certainly DL worthy. From FOLLIES to caftans!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2021 9:31 PM

Did people who watched AW realize that Ada was a bulldyke, or did that not occur to anyone in the 70s and 80s? Multiple hetero marriages and two kids. Who did they think they were kidding?

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2021 9:55 PM

OP, I'm disappointed. I thought you were going to share this juicy clip from the YouTube show "Hey Qween". Jack'ee dished about how it really went down....."GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY EYELINE!!!!!". LOL. [The clip starts with Jack'ee's hilarious memories of Alaina Reed-Hall (of Sesame Street & 227 fame which immediately segues into the Connie dish.]

That whole Jack'ee interview was fabulous. Its worth tracking down the whole thing. In addition to Connie Ford & Alaina Reed-Hall, she dropped some delicious bits about Milton Berle, Marla Gibbs, Rodney Dangerfield, Dolly Parton & several others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2021 10:35 PM

I'd almost forgotten the musical masterpiece from Dennis Parker/Wade Nichols of the Edge of Night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2021 11:40 PM

How would Helen Wagner have handled Connie screaming “GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY EYELINE” at her?

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2021 11:40 PM

Helen would have knocked that bitch down and put a lit cigarette out in her eye.

Helen let a bitch know who was boss!

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2021 11:43 PM

Helen tooksh my car keysh

by Anonymousreply 147September 19, 2021 11:44 PM

by Anonymousreply 148September 19, 2021 11:49 PM

I always liked Peter Brown as Greg Peters on Days. Was a sexy, reassuring presence.

Disappointing to know that Peter Brown was such a jerk. But also not surprising. Peter definitely gave off high maintenance vibes in his performances and in his interviews.

I thought Peter should have been cast as Alex Wheeler when they started Texas in 1980. He had just left Days at that point and I think he could have gone toe to toe with Bev McKinsey. I think he would actually have given her an acting partner worthy of her talent. (Bert Kramer, who was cast as Alex Wheeler, couldn't keep up with Bev).

Soap PR guy, did the incident you describe happen on Loving, OLTL or Y&R?

by Anonymousreply 149September 20, 2021 12:59 AM

Who’sh hoshting the emmy party thish year?

by Anonymousreply 150September 20, 2021 1:15 AM

Helen put that little tramp Colleen in her place, but I think Connie would've been too much for her.

by Anonymousreply 151September 20, 2021 1:20 AM

R127 Holy shit, spic and span. Does that product still exist? The concept still does, sort of…

by Anonymousreply 152September 20, 2021 2:44 AM

Do household products like Spic 'N Span still make commercials to air during daytime tv?

I imagine they could just keep running that old Calgon commercial, right? That thing easily ran for a decade! It has to be a record!

by Anonymousreply 153September 20, 2021 6:12 AM

Going back to the albums by soap stars ... oh, how I wish somebody reviewed them.

by Anonymousreply 154September 20, 2021 6:25 AM

John Wesley Shipp and Marsha Clark were a hot and heavy couple. The soap mags were all over them when they dated. I wonder if they triple dated with Geraldine Court and David O’Brien and Joel and Velekka. I wonder what lead to John and Marsha’s break up? They seemed like the perfect couple in the soap mags.

by Anonymousreply 155September 20, 2021 8:49 AM

What? Peter Brown was uncut?

by Anonymousreply 156September 20, 2021 8:49 AM

I would’ve put up with his smegma.

by Anonymousreply 157September 20, 2021 2:53 PM

ew ew ew ew ew ew no

by Anonymousreply 158September 20, 2021 5:09 PM

I’m not sure why we bailed on the other P&G thread which hasn’t been M’d.

by Anonymousreply 159September 20, 2021 11:00 PM

r159 For some reason, few people were posting on the Douglass Watson thread, aside from the Psycho Troll.

Some one started this thread and more people started posting here. It's just as simple as this is where the activity landed. The Douglass Watson thread will still be there when Muriel visits this one.

by Anonymousreply 160September 20, 2021 11:25 PM

When Muriel Visits

Hey, that’s a swell idea for a play? Let’s round up the kids and write it and put it on Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 161September 20, 2021 11:58 PM

Snatch & twats!

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2021 12:12 AM

Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2021 3:14 AM

[quote]R19 Connie liked to test and tease the newbies. She would give them shit. if they gave her shit back, they had her respect and friendship.

Sounds like she needed a good psychiatrist.

Just say the lines, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2021 3:19 AM

Show us your gams, Connie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 21, 2021 3:20 AM

I like the idea of a When Muriel Visits play.

She's a combination grim reaper, party pooper and nanny state who creates havoc, chaos and despair where ever she goes.

by Anonymousreply 166September 21, 2021 3:29 AM

Lol Vee and the other creeps at SON hate new people, especially when they call SON a den of unhappy freaks. Dramatist Dreamed needs serious therapy and medication.

by Anonymousreply 167September 21, 2021 12:08 PM

Vee is in bullying mode again.

by Anonymousreply 168September 21, 2021 1:44 PM

and now we also have an anthony addobao thread

by Anonymousreply 169September 21, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote] She's a combination grim reaper, party pooper and nanny state who creates havoc, chaos and despair where ever she goes.

She needs to visit our resident poop/DUI/overworked/Scoche/in the biz troll, and nuke it from the site forever

by Anonymousreply 170September 21, 2021 5:04 PM

Vee , who’s in the biz, got told off today. lololololol

by Anonymousreply 171September 21, 2021 5:07 PM

Did Connie eat out DL fave Geri Court when she was playing June Laverty? Lots of bis and lezzies on the AW set in the late '70s .

by Anonymousreply 172September 21, 2021 5:11 PM

Which set had the most debauchery behind the scenes in the 70s and 80s-AW, ATWT or GL? I’m guessing there was more sex and drugs happening at Marland’s ATWT, with all of those twentysomethings he added to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 173September 21, 2021 5:25 PM

AW was probably a minefield of egos and resentment as it reached its height in popularity in 77/78.

by Anonymousreply 174September 21, 2021 5:43 PM

GL and AMC were THE party sets in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 175September 21, 2021 5:53 PM

I bet Curt Dawson had a lot of sex partners hopping from show to show. He was a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 176September 21, 2021 6:21 PM

I wonder if there was a sling at GL?

by Anonymousreply 177September 21, 2021 6:29 PM

R177, yes, Chris Bernau and Stephen Sondheim were buddies and Sondheim referred him to his sling designer.

by Anonymousreply 178September 21, 2021 8:00 PM

Who at GL was partying? I am inferring that means coke. From all I’ve heard from the set, it was very tight. They didn’t seem like partiers even during the Kevin Bacon years.

by Anonymousreply 179September 21, 2021 11:19 PM

In the mid 80s, lots of coke and partying on the GL set, at least among the younger crowd.

Kristie Farrell was one of the ones who couldn't handle all the coke. Supposedly, Vincent Irrizarry indulged quite a bit too.

And we all know Jordan Clark had a coke problem later in his life. It likely started in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 180September 22, 2021 2:15 AM

The Locher Room is hosting the Daytime Stars and Strikes thing that Liz Keifer and Jerry ver Dorn started years ago. Now an autism event.

This description, though:

[quote] The 17th Annual Daytime Stars and Strikes Virtual Charity event for Autism will be held on Sunday, October 10, 2021 from 2-6 (Eastern Standard Time) and hosted by Alan along with Guiding Light’s Liz Keifer, Jerry verDorn, and Michael O’Leary in conjunction in The Locher Room!we have an incredible line-up already signed up. Pull up a chair, turn on your techie devices and join our daytime actors, writers, producers and directors from both coasts. Enjoy as they reminisce [BOLD] about their first day on the set, [/BOLD] their best storyline, their toughest scene to get through and who inspired their journey into acting. Find out what new projects each are involved in and where you can see them next.

Someone tell Miss Locher we have EXHAUSTED the first day on set as a topic of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 181September 22, 2021 6:44 PM

The only interesting first day story I’ve heard is Jackee’s. Anyone working with Helen Wagner or Connie on their first day will have a fun story. The rest, not so much

by Anonymousreply 182September 22, 2021 7:01 PM

I wonder if the Linda Dano Locher Room is worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 183September 22, 2021 9:56 PM

Hope her technical issues from the last time were resolved.

by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2021 10:01 PM

I watched about 20 minutes so far. She's charming, as usual. Most surprising revelation to me so far: she struggled with bulimia for much of her life and her weight ballooned to 180 lbs. at one point during Another World.

by Anonymousreply 185September 22, 2021 10:29 PM

There was a period around 85-87 or so when Felicia was really over the top with hats, boxy suits, turbans and snoods, I wonder if that’s when she was doing that

by Anonymousreply 186September 22, 2021 11:26 PM

[quote] her weight ballooned to 180 lbs. at one point

I blame Cecile.

by Anonymousreply 187September 22, 2021 11:30 PM

Felicia was too fat back then to be porked by my boys.

by Anonymousreply 188September 22, 2021 11:45 PM

Is DL on Primetime right now? Why is this thread so quiet?

by Anonymousreply 189September 23, 2021 11:15 PM

I think the numbers of us willing to deal with our mentally ill troll are few.

And Muriel won't do anything.

by Anonymousreply 190September 24, 2021 10:22 PM

If you just click on ignore for the trolls, it’s all good.

by Anonymousreply 191September 25, 2021 1:04 AM

Looking at the stars during the 80s on GL I don’t see a coke frenzy. I can see Vincent maybe partaking a little but not a lot. I just can’t see many tolerating it. I know it was a fun set, but coke fueled? Did Kim have a few dozen lines before her famous fountain scene?

by Anonymousreply 192September 28, 2021 3:59 AM

If you don’t look like act like you with me , I’m gonna take out my TITTIES.

by Anonymousreply 193September 28, 2021 4:24 AM

R192, How about Jordan Clarke (Billy)? I know he was an alcoholic. Was he into coke too? Not as sexy to think about as maybe Grant or Vincent. I also wonder about Don Stewart. Old dudes used to party too.

by Anonymousreply 194September 28, 2021 3:05 PM

Jordan Clarke was busted for crack possession, wasn’t he? I always thought Billy was sexy.

by Anonymousreply 195September 28, 2021 3:50 PM

Vinnie I got lots of pussy and coke.

by Anonymousreply 196September 28, 2021 4:13 PM

I tried to warn these young people about the dangers of coke and crack, but they would not listen. I was seen as old and not "with it", so I didn't have a leg to stand on with them.

by Anonymousreply 197September 28, 2021 4:53 PM

They buried Bert’s half leg with Mo Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 198September 28, 2021 6:22 PM

I still demand an explanation why Stefan Schnabel, with a thick German accent, played someone named Dr. Steve Jackson. He would have been too old to have been adopted by an American family as a German refugee during WW2.

by Anonymousreply 199September 28, 2021 6:33 PM

So did we abandon this thread, too. P&Gers?

by Anonymousreply 200September 29, 2021 10:03 PM

Were Papa Bauer and Steve Jackson nazis?

by Anonymousreply 201September 29, 2021 10:07 PM

They sure sounded like they were.

by Anonymousreply 202September 29, 2021 10:10 PM

Just block the trolls. I did so I never see their stupid shit. We keep opening new threads but how the hell can we find them when nobody links to them? Lol

by Anonymousreply 203September 29, 2021 10:13 PM

Just read on Instagram that Michael Tylo has died at the age of 73.

He had a hot ass but he couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 204September 30, 2021 1:08 AM

VetSoapFan the old curmudgeon keeps rambling on about fat Ed on The Guiding Light. Put him out of his misery.

by Anonymousreply 205September 30, 2021 5:59 AM

Apparently it's official. Michael Tylo has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 30, 2021 6:00 AM

Tylo seemed in bad shape a year ago when he did the his Locher Room session.

The session is linked below. It was conducted in May 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 30, 2021 6:10 AM

Was Tylo jerking off in that Locher Room video? Sure sounded like it.

by Anonymousreply 208September 30, 2021 9:35 AM

Has Kimberlin Brown commented?

by Anonymousreply 209September 30, 2021 12:14 PM

Lisa Brown gave a nice (but brief) quote on Tylo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 30, 2021 8:28 PM

What about Daphne Zuniga?

by Anonymousreply 211September 30, 2021 8:38 PM

Has Hunter commented? Or is she still talking about her other ex husbands and Brad Bell?

by Anonymousreply 212September 30, 2021 11:17 PM

Is it possible for the SON creeps to be any more jealous of Queen Locher’s access to former daytime stars? Nobody would want to see them on camera!

by Anonymousreply 213October 1, 2021 12:10 AM

The SON creeps are all old, bitter, unhappy morons.

by Anonymousreply 214October 1, 2021 12:44 AM

Crabby vetsoapfan! Creepy Soapsuds! Nobody cares Vicki Coxton! Not slick joans! Toilet scrubbing Vee, who is in the biz!

by Anonymousreply 215October 1, 2021 12:49 AM

Has dear Maeve commented yet? I believe he played her brother on that tacky little television series she trifled on.

by Anonymousreply 216October 1, 2021 1:44 AM

I still think Meryl would have made a great Trish Lewis, making her Vanessa’s sister-in-law as well as Maeve’s sister-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 217October 1, 2021 3:32 AM

Young and hopeful...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 1, 2021 3:36 AM

In the 80s, Ada was more masc than most of the male characters on Another World, except for Jake, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 219October 1, 2021 3:42 AM

Is is true Connie told David Oliver to butch it up?

by Anonymousreply 220October 1, 2021 4:18 AM

I rewatched "A Summer Place" recently. The movie goes downhill when Connie's character exits the story. She was so good in it.

by Anonymousreply 221October 1, 2021 5:04 AM

^Hi Connie!

by Anonymousreply 222October 1, 2021 6:09 PM

I bet that in her younger days, Connie had her snatch eaten out for days by young nubile tittied starlets.

by Anonymousreply 223October 1, 2021 7:10 PM

Whose snatches did Ada used to eat out? Cheryl McKinnon? Maisie Watkins? Rose Perrini?

by Anonymousreply 224October 2, 2021 12:21 AM

Somebody ask Vee, who is in the biz. He knows everything soaps, politics, SON management, etc.

by Anonymousreply 225October 2, 2021 12:32 AM

R219, there comes a point when they just stop caring.

Connie turns her head away when Charlie goes to kiss her at Charlie and Ada's wedding.

Flannery played some heterosexuality in the first few years of B&B; maybe the first two...but then....it was ...not working.

by Anonymousreply 226October 2, 2021 2:06 AM

R226 It was like Flannery just got a little more butch every year, especially that haircut the last few years she was on.

I've met butch lesbians who thought she was too manly, especially since she was playing a straight woman. I was working in this one place and it was on in the breakroom and this really butch lesbian, that I actually worked with for a month before I realized she was a she, walked in and said oh I didn't know they had real lesbians on soaps. And, I said actually she is supposed the straight matriarch of a fashion house, who keeps winning her husband back from younger women. She busted out laughing and said, "People watch this shit?"

Instead of her and Brooke having a mother daughter bond at the end, they should've had her hookup with Brooke and die in the heat of passion. Brooke would've become the first soap slut to sleep with both sons, the father, and the mother, of a main family.

by Anonymousreply 227October 2, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote]this really butch lesbian, that I actually worked with for a month before I realized she was a she, walked in and said oh I didn't know they had real lesbians on soaps. And, I said actually she is supposed the straight matriarch of a fashion house, who keeps winning her husband back from younger women. She busted out laughing and said, "People watch this shit?"

LOL! Great story!

by Anonymousreply 228October 2, 2021 5:39 AM

I thought Flannery was very believable as a straight married woman. Do we even know she's a lesbian? Not all straight woman have beauty pageant hair or wear micro-minis.

by Anonymousreply 229October 2, 2021 12:16 PM

[quote]Do we even know she's a lesbian? Not all straight woman have beauty pageant hair or wear micro-minis.

r229 Read the Personal Life section of Flannery's Wikipedia entry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230October 2, 2021 12:33 PM

She’s not a lesbian. She just likes eating pussy.

by Anonymousreply 231October 2, 2021 12:56 PM

Ada was probably the most married character in AW history, so someone must've thought she was believable as a heterosexual wife and mother.

by Anonymousreply 232October 2, 2021 1:21 PM

[quote]Ada was probably the most married character in AW history

I beg your pardon?

by Anonymousreply 233October 2, 2021 1:31 PM

After Charlie Hobson died , they didn’t bother giving Ada another love interest. Liz Matthews and Ada should have become late in life lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 234October 2, 2021 3:54 PM

Yeah sure Connie and Irene as a couple would've really attracted the straight Midwestern 18-49 housefrau demo. However it would've been entertaining to see Ada use a dildo on Liz.

by Anonymousreply 235October 2, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote]After Charlie Hobson died , they didn’t bother giving Ada another love interest.

Her post-Charlie dates, according to AWHP:

• Captain Delaney (1985-1987)

• Sidney Sugarman (1989)

by Anonymousreply 236October 2, 2021 5:18 PM

Ada’s snatch was all dried up by then.

by Anonymousreply 237October 2, 2021 5:51 PM

I bet Ada and Ilsa Fredericks got it on at least twice.

by Anonymousreply 238October 2, 2021 6:03 PM

They toyed with Ada and Jim, but that didn't go anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 239October 2, 2021 8:57 PM

Larry Haines played Ada's love interest Sid Sugarman (as mentioned above) for about 6 months in 1989.

No idea why the show dropped the character. Larry and Connie were decent together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240October 2, 2021 9:35 PM

I must say-R1 won this thread right off the bat-Thank you ! I am curious if Louise (Anne Meachem) got roughed up by Ada/Connie. Louise was sort of well mannered/refined and had clearly intense love for bug eyes . Louise must have hated the subservience to the low class harridan Ada. I imagine Connie giving her a hard time, forcing a few tubs of the auld relic.

by Anonymousreply 241October 2, 2021 10:34 PM

When they tried to pair Brian Bancroft up with Ada-that must have been the final straw for him . There was a scene with Aunt Alex, Ada and Brian trapped in a cabin. Farce of all farces …..

by Anonymousreply 242October 2, 2021 11:16 PM

Aunt Liz not Alex,,,,grrrr

by Anonymousreply 243October 2, 2021 11:19 PM

In the late 70s, Harding Lemay did some scenes of Ada, Liz and Jim Matthews trapped someplace together. I believe one time they were trapped in a cabin together.

So, I guess subsequent writersr just substituted Brian Bancroft for Jim Matthews and did the scenes again.

by Anonymousreply 244October 2, 2021 11:38 PM

what's everyone's earliest memories of AW?

I go back to Pat Randolph being poisoned by Caroline Johnson; John sleeping with Bernice; Nancy Wickwire as Aunt Liz.

I'm 59.

by Anonymousreply 245October 3, 2021 12:13 AM

R244- the scenes you mentioned must have killed off Hugh Marlowe. It must have been a tactic when they wanted to get rid of someone.

by Anonymousreply 246October 3, 2021 1:11 AM

I doubt Connie would've had any patience with Hugh Marlowe as a screen partner. He was forever flubbing his lines.

by Anonymousreply 247October 3, 2021 4:15 AM

I'm 54 and my earliest memory of AW was the Friday cliffhanger where John Randolph and Olive's lover Evan Webster are struggling with a gun, which goes off, and we're left waiting till Monday to find out which one got shot. It was my mom's favorite show, next to AMC, so I'm sure I watched it earlier, but that is as far back as I remember. I also have vivid memories of the Sven kidnapping Rachel storyline, but I think that came a little later. Sven terrified me! My mom had a huge crush on Nicholas Coster btw. I tear up every time I hear the iconic theme song, because it reminds me so much of my mom, who passed away last year.

by Anonymousreply 248October 3, 2021 4:22 AM

The people who still luv and mourn its loss are 70 year old virgins. Get over it. 1999 was 22 years ago

by Anonymousreply 249October 3, 2021 4:59 AM

I don't recall exactly when I started watching AW. Probably sometime in 1970. My earliest specific memory was a Friday cliffhanger in late May 1971. My mother was preparing for her 25th high school reunion that night. She was on the reunion committee and needed to go to check out things at the venue before coming home to put on her makeup and get dressed. I was too young to be left home alone, so I had to go with her to the venue. She wanted to leave for the venue (10 minutes away) about 3 p.m. I kept begging to wait until the end of the episode, which ended at 3:30 p.m. She ultimately consented. And it was WORTH it to see the Friday cliffhanger!

Rachel's husband Ted Clark had broken into the medical clinic where Russ Matthews (Rachel's ex-husband) and his fiance Cindy Clark (Ted's sister) worked. Ted was there to steal drugs (I believe he was being blackmailed or something like that). Russ came back to the clinic late that night while Ted was stealing the narcotics. Before Russ saw him, Ted hit Russ in the back of the head with a crowbar and fled the scene, leaving Russ there unconscious and bleeding! End of episode!

I spent the whole weekend worrying about what would happen to Russ. Would he die? Would someone find him and save him? Would Ted get caught?

by Anonymousreply 250October 3, 2021 6:07 AM

R249 I’m still not over it that they originally called the show The Another World but changed it at the last minute to Another World.

by Anonymousreply 251October 3, 2021 7:54 AM

r251

by Anonymousreply 252October 3, 2021 12:18 PM

My earliest memory of AW is when Cecile and Alma were trying to make Blaine think she was crazy. I think this storyline occurred while I was on summer break from high school. Up until that time, I was a big ABC fan, but I think I was getting bored with OLTL. I remember AW had a different look to it than other soaps. The lighting was brighter, and the show seemed a bit more sophisticated than the other shows I watched. The show eventually brought on Donna and the Love family, which I loved.

by Anonymousreply 253October 3, 2021 5:14 PM

My earliest memory must have been around 1971 when Rachel sent Alice “dead baby clothes.” I was 10 and even then I knew that was one hell of a cunty thing to do.

I, too, was terrified by Sven. And even though Rocky seemed a tad too close to young Jamie and Dennis I mourned him when they found his chopped up body parts in a plastic bag under the floorboards of the Cory boathouse. Fucking Sven. This was Lemay’s attempted merging of Ibsen with Hitchcock and it was unforgettable (and got huge ratings).

by Anonymousreply 254October 3, 2021 6:29 PM

My mom stopped watching altogether after the resolution of the Mac/Rachel/Janice/Mitch plot resolution in St. Croix. Our "family soap" became AMC, after my mom's younger sister, a die-hard AMC fan, began getting us hooked on that show around 1977. I revisited AW during the Sally/Catlin/Felicia/Cass/ Wallingford/Cecile/Kathleen years and the return of Jackie Courtney, but it really didn't hold my interest past 1985/1986. I watched sporadically after that, but It just could never even come close to recapturing its glory years, and its constant change in tone and structure in an effort to boost ratings and demos just came off as desperate IMO.

by Anonymousreply 255October 3, 2021 6:55 PM

My first real memory of AW was Iris' above ground pool. I found it fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 256October 3, 2021 7:43 PM

They sure gave Connie homely husbands: Harry Bellaver, Dolph Sweet, Fred Scollay. That would be enough to turn even the most femme woman into a butch lez. Ada needed to be fucked by Mitch Blake or Catlin Ewing to appreciate hot dick.

by Anonymousreply 257October 3, 2021 8:04 PM

Yep, Dolph was fat and Fred had terrible pockmarks.

by Anonymousreply 258October 3, 2021 8:06 PM

R227 I think that's what Stephanie's death scene sort of implied.

It was a way for Stephanie to die in Brooke's arms without, well, dying in her arms.

by Anonymousreply 259October 3, 2021 8:08 PM

Connie HATED how lazy Beverlee McKinsey was. She could not understand why Bev complained of overwork when she only worked 3 days a week and 8 months per year.

by Anonymousreply 260October 3, 2021 8:26 PM

[quote]My mom stopped watching altogether after the resolution of the Mac/Rachel/Janice/Mitch plot resolution in St. Croix.

That was a good time to stop, there were some rough years after that.

by Anonymousreply 261October 3, 2021 8:30 PM

Flannery was karmically punished for her heterosexual dalliance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262October 3, 2021 8:46 PM

I'm the one that many moons ago mentioned my dear (and late) friend and I bonding over AW because when we first became roommates, he said he was off to visit Miss Rachel and when I asked what he meant, he said, "Gurl, after I smoke a bowl I am off to Another World! Announce me at the Cory Mansion, gurl!"

I was somewhere around the Bicentennial years when I began to comprehend - Mom had watched since it started, I think, but I picked up on the story around 6 or so. Mom reminded me of Rachel (the Wyndham Rachel) and our mean cunt blond neighbor was SO Iris.

Mean Cunt Neighbor (MCN) talked about my mom behind her back and was spreading rumors about my dad cheating on my mom. She tried to get me to share gossip about the neighbors to her and in typical Iris fashion I made up a few things as "plants" and when MCN confronted me about what I'd said and told me it was going to get her in trouble I used an Iris line from an AW air show a few days earlier. "Lotsa luck, honey" and walked away. She never did talk to any of us again after that until they moved.

by Anonymousreply 263October 3, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote]I remember AW had a different look to it than other soaps. The lighting was brighter, and the show seemed a bit more sophisticated than the other shows I watched.

Bright lighting was Paul Rauch's signature on all the soaps he EPed.

by Anonymousreply 264October 3, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] I revisited AW during the Sally/Catlin/Felicia/Cass/ Wallingford/Cecile/Kathleen years and the return of Jackie Courtney, but it really didn't hold my interest past 1985/1986.

Yeah, AW went through some rough years in the 1980s, ones that chased away many people who had been accustomed to the tone and style of Harding Lemay's glory days in the 70s. In my opinion 1982 and 1987 were the absolute worst years, but 1985-86 was pretty bad too.

Things improved drastically in 1988 when Harding Lemay come back as HW. Even though he didn't stick around for long, not needing the headache of network interference, in the short time he was there, he got the show on the right track and wrote the Bible the carried the show for the next 3-4 years.

by Anonymousreply 265October 3, 2021 11:59 PM

I'm one of those who says that Another World never really recovered from Harding Lemay being fired. He really put his mark on that show and quite frankly nothing was right again, really, until he returned in 88 and then Donna Swajeski ( allegedly) coasted on his bible for years.

I think AW had three great eras.

1)Nixon which bled into some of Cenedella

2)Lemay

3) Lemay again, followed by some of Swajeski

AW just had a tone and feel that was different from other soaps during Lemay and it was hard to make it a "soap soap" again. Watch some of that late 79 early 80 stuff and it was still very much Lemay's style. And in all fairness people probably started tuning out because it did seem dated compared to what was happening over on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 266October 4, 2021 12:09 AM

I think AW would have rebounded in 1984 if Richard Culliton had stayed as headwriter and they had been able to keep Nancy Frangione as Cecile.

by Anonymousreply 267October 4, 2021 12:39 AM

Agreed r266. Even though Lemay had left, Tom King's HW stint still carried the tone of Lemay's AW. Very stagey and theater-like, which I appreciated. The problem was the 90-minute format combined, the loss of McKinsey, and the addition of a ton of new, mostly boring characters. Judith McConnell's Miranda Bishop was obviously meant to be an Iris replacement. I thought she was very good in the role, but the Bishop/Halloway family were so boring. They would all be gone within a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 268October 4, 2021 2:41 AM

And then Rauch hired another playwright as headwriter who proved to be disastrous. Love him or hate him, Lemay really was a singular talent.

by Anonymousreply 269October 4, 2021 2:44 AM

Lemay's era was SO GOOD and transcended soap opera, so any creative highs the show might have experienced after he left seemed lackluster and never lived up to the quality of his work. Ryan's Hope was another very high-quality show that suffered tremendously the moment its gate keepers, Labine and Mayer, left after selling the show to ABC. Labine and/or Mayer returned a few times, but they were never able to capture the magic or quality of their first stint.

by Anonymousreply 270October 4, 2021 2:51 AM

R250, I recall that also; I think Ted's sneakers stepped in some paint or some kind of liquid that left a print and would i.d. him as the killer.

by Anonymousreply 271October 4, 2021 3:11 AM

R245 Bratty Rachel (Robin Strasser) getting SPANKED by her fed-up husband Russ.

by Anonymousreply 272October 4, 2021 3:16 AM

This has probably been discussed but was Marland’s HW stint on GL or ATWT better? His time on GL was only 2 years so it may not be the best comparison.

by Anonymousreply 273October 4, 2021 4:03 AM

R273, I think ATWT -- late 1985 to 1987 or '88 was his best and then he got great again in 1990 with Bob/Susan/Kim story, Casey dying (heartbreaking etc)

he told the mother lying to protect the daughter at a murder trial three times; Lesley/Laura on GH; Jennifer/Amanda on GL; Kim/Frannie on ATWT; the ATWT was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 274October 4, 2021 4:44 AM

Marland was a big homo who made actors suck his toes in order to get a job.

by Anonymousreply 275October 4, 2021 9:37 AM

What was Pam Long’s best run on GL? 83-85, or late 87-90? I’d say her 83-to early/mid 85 were as strong as any HW has ever had.

by Anonymousreply 276October 4, 2021 10:40 AM

Did Anne Heche ever diddle Connie’s snatch? We know that Anna Stuart gave Anne her first dildo. Maybe Anne used it on Connie. Yum yum yum!!!

by Anonymousreply 277October 4, 2021 11:26 AM

Pam's first run from was incredible. The period from May 1983 when her scripts started airing until about May 1985 was fantastic. Her final year from about May 1985 until Jan/Feb 1986 when she left on maternity leave was less than stellar, but a lot of that was network interference and a co-HW who didn't have such great stories.

But that first two-year period May 1983 to about May 1985 was just amazing. It's one of my favorite periods of GL. Show was must see-TV for me at that point. Pam revitalized the show which had been floundering in the 8-9 months since Marland's final scripts aired. She brought in characters that lasted through the rest of the show like Reva, Beth and Alex. Plus she created characters we still talk about and who came back for visits often like Mindy, India and Lujack (who came back as twin brother, Nick).

That said, as much as I loved those first 2 years, my biggest grip about her first run is that she neglected many of the characters that were already there. Sure, she brought established characters like Phillip, Rick, Tony, Vanessa and Josh into the stories she was writing. But at the same time, she only made half-hearted attempts to write for Nola and Quint, Kelly Nelson, Ross Marler, Ed and Maureen. And she virtually ignored Mike Bauer, Katie Parker, Floyd Parker, Trish Lewis, only giving them enough scenes to meet their guarantee until their contracts ended. And she wrote off or killed off Justin, Hope, Amanda, Leslie Ann and Hillary.

By the end of her first run in Jan/Feb 1986, there were only a handful of characters who had been there three years earlier. Someone who last watched in Jan. 1983 and then tuned in again in Jan. 1986 would only recognize Maureen, Vanessa, Ross, Henry and Bea, plus would know the characters of Rick, Phillip and Ed, but all three were played by different actors at that point. Everyone else would be strangers. Such a huge cast turnover in just three years time was really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 278October 4, 2021 1:11 PM

[quote] my biggest grip about her first run

I'll OH DEAR myself here.

Should be GRIPE

by Anonymousreply 279October 4, 2021 1:23 PM

Pam's writing in her first stint was very entertaining and definitely got back to basics by making it more family-oriented, but the show was really dumbed down during this period, if you compare it to Marland's much more intelligent, adult writing from just a few years earlier. I'm not one of those people who worships Marland, but if you watch episodes and clips on YT of both regimes, there's no denying that his storytelling and day-to-day scripts were much more literate and mature that Long's. I found her second stint (88-90?) much more interesting and mature.

by Anonymousreply 280October 4, 2021 2:54 PM

R278, spot on analysis.

I can't imagine being a GL fan in the Marland Era circa 1981 and then popping the show back in three short years later and not recognizing it at all.

Pam wrote Vanessa MUCH better in her second time at the show, but she'd been diffused to say the least. the first time.

Gone were Amanda, Jennifer, Jackie, Diane, Carrie, Rita (!), and little Evie and in their places were India, Alexandra, Maeve, Beth, Mindy, Reva, and Roxie.

It's hard to say which I preferred better. BOTH eras were amazeballs and I'd love to see them all released on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 281October 4, 2021 4:48 PM

Pam was a hack. Terrible choice to write TGL. She killed my beloved Bauers.

by Anonymousreply 282October 4, 2021 5:07 PM

The only time GL was ever must watch for me was during Curlee, Demorest and Reilly and then just Curlee and Demorest. That was some of the best soap opera I had ever seen and (I'm alone in this) the best era of GL. I've never seen a period of show where almost everything hit and everything was so balanced.

by Anonymousreply 283October 4, 2021 6:15 PM

I'd say for me, Pam Long's first stint was the show's most entertaining, if dumbed down, era. There's a real warmth and hokey sentimentality to her writing that absolutely transcends her worst tendencies. And the familial tone was refreshing at the time (1983), when most other shows were trying to copy GH and its action adventure/sci fi nonsense. I find Marland's writing a few years earlier so much more intelligent and literate, though rigid at times. Warmth and sentimental charm were not his strong points. I watched a few episodes from the early 70s which were just fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 284October 4, 2021 7:11 PM

R275, get it right. The reality wasMarland would be in the kitchen jerking himself off WATCHING John Wesley Shipp and other ATWT/GL hunks cavorting about in Speedos and bare feet. There was never any direct contact required. Marland knew better than that.

by Anonymousreply 285October 4, 2021 7:18 PM

Good for Marland! Happy to know I wasn't the only queer jerking off to a speedo-clad JWS in 1981. Too bad Marland wasn't around for the casting of a SORAS-ed Philip. His mouth would've dropped to the ground when Grant walked in to audition, just like mine did when I saw him on screen for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 286October 4, 2021 8:27 PM

I became a fan of GL during the Marland years, so when Hope and Amanda and Kelly and Nola got sidelined and worst of all when Carrie was hurriedly written out, I lost interest. The only Lewis I ever cared about was Trish. For me, GL wasn't must see again until it came together leading up to Maureen's death.

by Anonymousreply 287October 4, 2021 9:16 PM

I can't believe you guys liked when they tried to turn GL into Texas. There was just something not GL about it.

by Anonymousreply 288October 4, 2021 9:31 PM

It is THE Guiding Light!

by Anonymousreply 289October 4, 2021 9:38 PM

That creepy little kid on GL who played Gregory on Texas was the last straw. I’m amazed Sharon Acker or Eluzabeth Allen weren’t brought on for Alexandra.

by Anonymousreply 290October 4, 2021 9:40 PM

Gail Kobe was a lezzy.

by Anonymousreply 291October 4, 2021 9:41 PM

Elizabeth Allen had a brief recurring role as a psychiatrist on GL circa 1983. I believe she was treating Annabelle.

by Anonymousreply 292October 4, 2021 9:45 PM

And the whole Annabelle story was an enormous violation of GL history. My mother, who was a huge GL fan, turned off GL then and never got back into it. She just kept saying, "These old men did not know each other then!"

by Anonymousreply 293October 4, 2021 9:48 PM

Pam Long wanted her Texas pal Carla Borelli for Reva.

by Anonymousreply 294October 4, 2021 10:14 PM

Pam really wanted to cast Jerry Lanning as Billy Lewis in 1983, but the network squashed that.

Jerry had played Pam's on-screen husband, Justin Marshall, on Texas. And he would have been PERFECT for Billy Lewis. The Billy character was clearly created with Jerry in mind, written to all his strengths as an actor.

But she had already cast Texas alums Harley Kozak (Annabelle) and James Rebhorn (Bradley Raines) and bringing in Jerry Lanning as Billy within the six weeks of her tenure would have really looked bad. That's why the network said no.

Perhaps if she had waited a year of so, until 1984, to bring in Billy, she could have gotten Jerry Lanning cast in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295October 4, 2021 10:29 PM

She brought on Jerry Lanning a few years later to play Cain Harris, but the character was a flop. She also brought over Bev McKinsey and Lisby Larson, who I adored on Texas, but she was so shrill as Calla.

by Anonymousreply 296October 4, 2021 10:36 PM

GL was must see TV , according to my mom, from the mid-70s until mid 80s. Then 1989-1993. My grandma said GL and ATWT were must see TV in the 50s and 60s.

I loved Brent/Marian, though the show had too much Deas. I loved Annie/Reva/ Josh in 1997-1998. I also enjoyed GL from 1997-2001. It had a ton of great young actors/characters who would go on to have solid Hollywood careers (B. Snow, T Blanchard, H Panettiere, P Wesley, J Lenz, L McKeon, and several more). The last 9 months was also solid.

by Anonymousreply 297October 4, 2021 11:00 PM

The Cain Harris character might have worked if Pam had still been there. But she created the character, cast Jerry Lanning and then went on maternity leave.

If she'd been there to oversee how the character evolved and write to Jerry Lanning's strengths, I think Cain could have turned into a long term character.

He was clearly intended as a love interest for Reva. Instead, show decided to jettison Cain about three months after he debuted. They made Cain go all psycho on Reva and soon after, he was history.

by Anonymousreply 298October 4, 2021 11:44 PM

I couldn't see Lanning and Maeve Kinkead having any chemistry, and Billy was clearly brought on for Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 299October 4, 2021 11:53 PM

I’ve seen footage of Reva trying to commit suicide by jumping from the bridge. It looked cool. She even walked over real ice. The camera work was stellar esp when they filmed from above as she went into the water.

by Anonymousreply 300October 5, 2021 12:42 AM

Soaps, especially from the mid 80s-mid 90s, were really good at big scenes like that. I think because they didn't have to do them every day or week, they were able to plan and budget for them. Now, they have the time but not the budget. GH looks great, compared to Y&R, for instance, but Jason's big return to Port Charles the other year was a lackluster sequence that lacked the pizazz required.

by Anonymousreply 301October 5, 2021 12:49 AM

Trish Lewis was the first of the Lewis family to arrive in Springfield, making her debut in Aug. 1981, followed by Joshua in Oct. 1981.

Then in 1983, Billy, Mindy and HB all arrived and the Lewis family was suddenly one of the main families on Guilding Light.

Must have been weird for actress Rebecca Hollen, who played Trish. She was the first character in what became a main family but she was never more than a supporting character throughout her four years on the show. Meanwhile, all the other Lewis characters -- Josh, Billy, HB and Mindy -- all became vital characters.

And during Pam's tenure when all her Lewis relatives were becoming main characters, Trish was only used enough to meet her guarantee. She must have been wondering, "What did I do wrong?" All my relatives get main storylines and I'm only on once a week with about dozen lines each day."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302October 5, 2021 12:55 AM

The network must not have thought enough of her to keep her around.

I similarly think the network didn’t think much of Beth C her first time around. I think they would have sent Phillip off to prison knowing VI was coming back as either Lujack or his twin Nick.

by Anonymousreply 303October 5, 2021 1:14 AM

Rebecca Hollen was a mediocre actress.

by Anonymousreply 304October 5, 2021 1:37 AM

Will Queen Locher interview Jensen B. from the slammer? It would be a viewership bonanza!

by Anonymousreply 305October 5, 2021 1:54 AM

When will Miss Locher be interviewing JWS and Marsha Clark? Am dying to hear about their hot youthful romance. Maybe he can get Velekka Gray to come on and talk about her torrid romance with Joel Crothers.

by Anonymousreply 306October 5, 2021 2:56 AM

Beth C was a bit vanilla during her first stint as Beth. Judi had a certain something that gave Beth a spark. Beth C didn’t display that her first go around. I enjoyed her, but I think it was the writing more than the actress. I think Judi’s Beth would have had fun with Sherry Stringfield’s Blake. Beth C was fine against her, but not as fun as Judi would have been.

Beth C did great in limited scenes with Roger. Beth had a stinging delivery when Roger tried to give her a wedding present. Judi did also did great against Bernau’s Alan I wonder how her Beth would have done against Roger.

by Anonymousreply 307October 5, 2021 3:01 AM

Vee, who’s in the biz, wants Miss Locher to interview potty mouth Fulton.

by Anonymousreply 308October 5, 2021 3:02 AM

Lololol SON is imploding.

by Anonymousreply 309October 5, 2021 3:11 AM

Vee is in the biz. In case you didn’t know.

by Anonymousreply 310October 5, 2021 3:42 AM

Who is Vee? Virginia "Ginny" Dwyer?

by Anonymousreply 311October 5, 2021 4:00 AM

Beth Chamberlin became a knockout when she returned in ‘97.

by Anonymousreply 312October 5, 2021 4:03 AM

[quote]r251 I’m still not over it that they originally called the show “The Another World”

How very strange. What was the rational for that??

by Anonymousreply 313October 5, 2021 5:13 AM

Sharon Gless had to have been the dikiest looking straight woman in history. It is my belief she deserves Honorable Mention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314October 5, 2021 5:23 AM

^^ sorry. this was for the Elder Dykes thread : (

by Anonymousreply 315October 5, 2021 5:25 AM

It was a sad day when all the shows dropped "The" from their titles. The shows were just never the same after that. I stopped watching on principal. Would continue calling it "The Edge of Night" really have hurt the demos THAT much?

by Anonymousreply 316October 5, 2021 5:35 AM

R316 What I can't figure out is why the network never tried airing a show called "The Edge of Night" at 7:30pm, back when they programmed that time slot? Especially when they were all looking for another Peyton Place and men were much more important at nighttime and it was known to have a uniquely large male viewership for a soap.

by Anonymousreply 317October 6, 2021 12:31 AM

They tried to, but Donald May sort of put the kibosh on it due to residuals. He wasn't wrong, but he wanted the type of money that PG wasn't going to pay for re-airing a soap.

by Anonymousreply 318October 6, 2021 12:39 AM

I mean why didn't they just move it to that slot, not air it in both daytime and primetime.

by Anonymousreply 319October 6, 2021 12:44 AM

Trish Lewis temporarily survived the post Marland purge.

She was not only a Lewis but she was the ex-wife of Andy Norris so that gave her ties to lots of characters.

by Anonymousreply 320October 6, 2021 1:03 AM

Shortly after Edge moved to ABC in Dec. 1975, the network wanted to have late night airings of the soap. Like at 11:30 p.m. or 12 midnight. In fact ABC repeated the 90 minute episode that kicked off the ABC run in late night and it got decent ratings (Back in the mid 70s, ABC experimented with a lot of things for that late night time period) .

Anyway, ABC, P&G and the cast never could come to terms on residuals. Whether Donald May (Adam Drake) was the one causing the problems, I do not know. But the end result was that we didn't get same-day late night repeat episodes of Edge because of it.

Who knows how soaps might have changed if they had gotten those late night airings done.

I think Edge was especially well suited for an 11:30 p.m. time slot and would have done well.

by Anonymousreply 321October 6, 2021 1:03 AM

When the USA cable network broadcast reruns of the of EON, it was on late at night. It fit the show really well.

by Anonymousreply 322October 6, 2021 1:09 AM

P&G must've liked Rebecca Hollen, because they moved her over to AW as Peggy Lazarus. She didn't last long there. Didn't they try pairing her with the actor playing Peter Love at the time? The one after Chris Holder.

Did Eve Stapleton or Sarah McIntyre air during any of the Long/Kobe era. They appear early in the reworked disco theme, and their spots are replaced by newly arrived Billy and Philip/Beth at the prom, which leads me to believe that they must've appeared minimally before being written off. Did they get exit stories?

by Anonymousreply 323October 6, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] She was not only a Lewis but she was the ex-wife of Andy Norris so that gave her ties to lots of characters.

Characters Pam Long never wrote for, like Barbara and Holly. She probably didn't even realize the connection.

by Anonymousreply 324October 6, 2021 1:50 AM

Pam wrote Holly well in 89 & 90.

by Anonymousreply 325October 6, 2021 1:55 AM

R270 I wish I could have seen it. It does sound fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 326October 6, 2021 2:09 AM

Doug brought Trish Lewis Norris in as Andy's battered ex and a friend of...someone's Vanessa, I guess.

Rebecca Hollen was terrific and they should have kept her in 1997 when she came back for HB's funeral and used her as foil for Ross and Blake; Liz is a very nice woman and a big GL fan but I was never a fan of her Bloss.

Rebbecca survived a few post Marland regimes -- Pat Falken Smith, L. Virginia Brown and the next regime Long and Cullton kept her and continued to build the Lewises.

She was a loss in 1985 when she left.

by Anonymousreply 327October 6, 2021 2:26 AM

The show started going off the rails with the Dreaming Death. I remember enjoying it when I was a teen, but rewatching it and much of Long's original run on YT now, she really dumbed down the show. It became very plot-driven and less about the long-term relationships. The Bauers really suffered under her, with the loss of Mike, Hillary, Hope, and Bert, and the recast of Ed. Peter Simon is a very good actor, but he comes off as very low energy. He lacks charisma. They needed a more dynamic actor in the role as last remaining Bauer of his generation, and Richard Van Vleet, although he was great on AMC, was not a good fit. If they fired Mart Hulswit to de-age Ed and make him closer to Maureen's age, certainly they could've found a good actor with more screen presence who was already in the P&G stable.

by Anonymousreply 328October 6, 2021 2:35 AM

Donald May was a problem on that show. Sort of similar to Don Stewart on GL. And later Bob Woods on OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 329October 6, 2021 2:40 AM

Was Don Stewart universally hated? Apparently, he and Geri Court loathed each other. I heard she disliked him instantly, and he wasn't about be paired with someone his own age. He wanted a younger romantic interest. Tina Raines and Bev McKinsey evidently were brought on as potential romantic interests for Mike, but, again, he wanted to be paired with a younger actress. I think someone mentioned here awhile back that he wanted to be paired with Rebecca Hollen, but TPTB said no.

by Anonymousreply 330October 6, 2021 2:51 AM

I have never understood the appeal of Beth C, especially her return in the late 90's. Talk about over-acting and chewing the scenery. When she was on screen I didn’t know if she was drowning or talking. That kind of overly emotive acting (gasping, sighing, stammering, head slapping) is often why soaps get panned despite how hard the actors (and everybody) in the medium work.

by Anonymousreply 331October 6, 2021 2:52 AM

R331 She was completely different in character and acting. It was jarring. She settled down and earned her Emmy nom later on. She was more “Beth” in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 332October 6, 2021 2:55 AM

Queen Locher needs to do a 4 Eds reunion. All four actors are unbelievably still alive and kicking: Peter Simon, Mart Hulswit, Richard Van Vleet, and Robert Gentry. Am I forgetting anyone?

by Anonymousreply 333October 6, 2021 3:01 AM

what actors on GL had to do in the late 90s to hold onto their sanity was beyond me

The writing was all over the place and the end had begun with clone Reva (Kim's great but that was NOT a P&G story), San Cristobel and the Santos clan

Phillip and Beth breaking up over Alan's fake letter made no sense. Alan Michael should have come back and broken up Harley and Phillip. God bless Grant for never phoning it in, but Harley and Phillip were wrong on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 334October 6, 2021 3:22 AM

Get this fucking thread back to discussing ME, or I swear I will kick somebody in the cunt!!

by Anonymousreply 335October 6, 2021 3:27 AM

Harley and Phillip had a great friendship. They did not work as lovers. Yes, AM should have broken them up if they had to be together in the first place. At some point, GL should have lured Vincent back to have Beth and Nick interact. I’m not going to go there again about them never meeting because my blood pressure is now 300/210 thinking about it.

Late 90s GL had some great stuff. It was entertaining. It also had some maddening stuff. Newer viewers loved it. Older viewers hated it. My sister loved 90s/00s GL. She never watched it until 1995 when I got her into Brent/Marian.

by Anonymousreply 336October 6, 2021 4:04 AM

Connie and Kim Zimmer would have hated each other

by Anonymousreply 337October 6, 2021 4:49 AM

Connie would have kicked Kim in the cunt on day one.

by Anonymousreply 338October 6, 2021 10:03 AM

Though the writers assassinated Beth as a character, Beth C made her someone to still root for, except not in the beginning. After her terrible return she was a normally complex soap character. She just lost a lot of what made her Beth Raines. They regained some of the character’s essence following the Lorelei split personality storyline. It somewhat explained Beth’s torment.

by Anonymousreply 339October 6, 2021 10:43 AM

WHET fat Ed, fat Hope, fat Hillary, fat Rick, and fat Bert? Someone should've told the Bauers that knockwurst is not a basic food staple.

by Anonymousreply 340October 6, 2021 1:12 PM

Beth being a completely different character is right. Like all Rauch ladies at the time she was clingy, whiny, and desperate for a man. She sat in the overly lit Spaulding living room with her tits out and cried about how no one loved her. I remember they paraded her around to every eligible (and non-eligible) man and the acting was laughable - lots of drunk falling down slapstick type comedy that wasn't supposed to play for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 341October 6, 2021 3:09 PM

Was Rauch better than Conboy for the show?

by Anonymousreply 342October 6, 2021 3:14 PM

One turned the show into a cartoon and the other spent the budget into the ground, to the point where it never recovered and they ended up shooting in trailer parks in the final stretch. It's a toss up.

by Anonymousreply 343October 6, 2021 3:19 PM

Conboy's sophisticated/gay/Bell-show aesthetic didn't really translate well to a kitchen-sink NYC show like GL.

by Anonymousreply 344October 6, 2021 5:07 PM

Rauch's GL was so strange sometimes. During the 1997-1998 period, there were several love triangles moving the show, yet all of them had a man at the center: Phillip = Harley/Beth; Hart=Dinah/Cassie; Josh=Annie/Reva; Buzz=Nola/Jenna; Matt=Beth/Vanessa. And that's just off the top of my head. There were a couple of triangles with C-Listers too (characters on only a few times a month).

Triangles are fine; some are even great. But I found it funny that there were so few triangles that centered on the female character since soaps are considered a women's medium. During that year the show had Blake=Ben/Ross as a triangle centering on a woman, but I don't recall any others. I stopped watching in 1998.

by Anonymousreply 345October 6, 2021 5:59 PM

Which female actresses fled GL because Paul Rauch tried to grab them by the pussy. Maeve Kinkead doesn’t count because that happened on AW.

by Anonymousreply 346October 6, 2021 10:23 PM

GL had flashes of greatness during the 95-09 years. As someone mentioned, Brent/Marian, Lizzie Leukemia, a lot of great young actors, Reva/Annie……it is just the rest did not seem like GL

by Anonymousreply 347October 6, 2021 10:36 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, told Ellen Wheeler to move GL to Peapack.

by Anonymousreply 348October 6, 2021 10:59 PM

Vetsoapfan wanted FatEd to come to Peapack to romance FatReva on TGL.

by Anonymousreply 349October 6, 2021 11:35 PM

Conboy’s GL was awful schlock. His opening credits looked cheaper than a powerpoint.

by Anonymousreply 350October 6, 2021 11:37 PM

I would've had a coronary if they had dropped The from The Secret Storm or The Brighter Day.

by Anonymousreply 351October 6, 2021 11:54 PM

I hope TYATR doesn’t drop The!

by Anonymousreply 352October 7, 2021 12:13 AM

Leave it to the SON losers to have the dumbest opinions! The ATWT finale was ruined for DramatistNightmare because Lucy Deakins didn’t reprise Lily and she was played by Noelle Beck. FFS, morons.

by Anonymousreply 353October 7, 2021 12:21 AM

What would "The City" have been without a 'The.'

by Anonymousreply 354October 7, 2021 12:26 AM

I bet James Rebhorn would have come back to GL during the Lorelei story. He was always appreciative of his soap origins and particularly loved the writing on GL during his time as Bradley Raines.

by Anonymousreply 355October 7, 2021 12:27 AM

R355 For a short time, of course! Lol

by Anonymousreply 356October 7, 2021 12:27 AM

I bet that bitch India had something to do with this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357October 8, 2021 4:37 PM

Ah, but R354, why the fuck didn’t they call it City Loving?

by Anonymousreply 358October 8, 2021 5:02 PM

An alternate title they considered was "Love and the City."

Also considered "❤ and the City" but feared newspapers and magazines in the mid 90s might not have the heart emoji or heart symbol available to use in their typeset. They were worried what they might end up using instead of the ❤ if it wasn't available to them.

The ❤ certainly would have been ahead of it's time, which is what The City was definitely doing on many fronts, but audiences weren't ready for.

by Anonymousreply 359October 8, 2021 8:11 PM

Watched the Chris Goutman interview on The Locher Room. He confirmed his reputation for being a vindictive, arrogant son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 360October 9, 2021 1:02 PM

Janice Lynde is back on Y&R next week as Leslie Brooks.

She did two NY soaps: AW's Tracy DeWitt and OLTL's Laurel Chapin.

Both women died in cars; an explosion on AW and a car wreck (I believe) on OLTL.

Rauch produced both soaps at the time of her characters' deaths.

by Anonymousreply 361October 10, 2021 5:13 AM

And don’t think she wasn’t chowing down on his bratwurst at lunchtime.

by Anonymousreply 362October 10, 2021 5:05 PM

Wasn’t Janice Lynde a pain in the ass. I thought somebody here said that.

I wonder which actors/actresses had a really hard time working with Connie.

by Anonymousreply 363October 10, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote]Wasn’t Janice Lynde a pain in the ass.

I don't know, but her AW character was a waste of air time.

by Anonymousreply 364October 10, 2021 5:52 PM

"A Summer Place" is on TCM right now. And why did no one tell me that BONNIE FRANKLIN had an uncredited part in the movie? Bonnie and Connie together! It's DL Fave overload!

by Anonymousreply 365October 10, 2021 7:24 PM

WTF! So, you queens just abandon me!?. No posts on this thread in over 48 hours!?

I ought to come back and kick each one of you in the cunt! Keep the discussion going, girls!

by Anonymousreply 366October 13, 2021 7:54 PM

If I had stripped down to my undies, jumped in a fountain and baptized myself the Slut of Bay City, that would have given you something to talk about!

by Anonymousreply 367October 13, 2021 7:57 PM

these four remaining shows, save GH, are hollow shells of what they used to be.

I remember running home in high school to watch Karen Wolek testify at Viki's trial. Bobbie try to break up Laura and Scotty, and Rachel try to save Mac from Janice and Mitch in St. Croix.

But these shows now? Y&R has no more drama. DAYS is a mess. B&B is, at best, predictable. I wish ATWT, GL and AMC and OLTL from the 1980s and early 90s were all available.

by Anonymousreply 368October 14, 2021 5:10 AM

Ada should have been a prison matron instead of a beautician or restauranteur.

by Anonymousreply 369October 14, 2021 5:13 AM

Just got through watching the Linda Dano session of the Locher Room.

It's well worth watching. Linda talks a lot about her background and how she met her husband Frank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370October 21, 2021 9:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!