Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RuPaul's Drag Race: General/Off Season Discussion #2

The first thread is behind the pay wall. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Wednesday at 5:24 AM

SILKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell the rest of the queens to stop telling Mayhem she a fucking amazing singer !!!!!!! Mayhem's SUCKS !!!!! All Mayhem does on her Instagram is sing and all her enablers jumping in a say, " amazing!" IT'S NOT! She has a fucking TERRIBLE voice! Stop lying to her! Horrid voice! She needs to shut her delusional hole!

by Anonymousreply 106/17/2021

What a specific rant, [R393]. Mayhem is cute as a man.

by Anonymousreply 206/17/2021

So what if Mayhem is cute as a man? He's one of those ancient L.A. bar queens. Like Detox,Morgan, Raja and Delta. None of them are very talented but they rule their tiny piece of property. Hamburger fucking Marys. Really mean old bitches. Mayhem tried for 10 years to get on Drag Race and then we saw that she had nothing more to offer than a few good dresses. He's not talented and is indeed, a very terrible live singer. Don't do it.

He's cute and has nice skin. That doesn't mean we have to listen to him sing.

by Anonymousreply 306/17/2021

Detox lives in Chicago now.

by Anonymousreply 406/17/2021

I C&Ped the last few post from today on the 1st thread to start it off.

by Anonymousreply 506/17/2021

by Anonymousreply 606/18/2021

[Quote] Like Detox,Morgan, Raja and Delta. None of them are very talented but they rule their tiny piece of property. Hamburger fucking Marys. Really mean old bitches.

Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 706/18/2021

by Anonymousreply 806/18/2021

bump

by Anonymousreply 906/19/2021

It's Baaaaaack!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1006/25/2021

It could be funny but I'm betting not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1106/25/2021

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT

by Anonymousreply 1206/25/2021

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1306/25/2021

A Cultural Moment.

by Anonymousreply 1406/25/2021

Jaidynn is delish with Miley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1506/25/2021

Jaymes Mansfield is doing some of the wigs on the Brady Bunch thing. I also LOVE Kit Harrington replied to her. Yum! Maybe he's into queens. Delish!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2021

Jaymes just moved to Vegas and is now getting gigs with the other Vegas queens. Good for her. She's fab!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2021

Symone doing some Tina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2021

[quote] I also LOVE Kit Harrington replied to her.

Lol, that was a fan account. He could still be into queens, tho.

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2021

Watched the Brady abortion. Why are they trying to make Sonique happen?

by Anonymousreply 2007/04/2021

^ it was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2107/04/2021

I love Jaymes!

by Anonymousreply 2207/04/2021

^ me too!

by Anonymousreply 2307/04/2021

I just rewatched season 8 and I am now watching season 9.

Some things that stand out to me:

—Pearl annoyed me the first time around but this time I found her sensitive and endearing. Also, the infamous "Do I have something on my face?" faceoff *did* seem to "wake up Pearl!" and motivate her to perform better. And Pearl won that very week, so RuPaul didn't really seem to be victimizing Pearl as has become the popular lore.

—I never registered that Shae and Sasha Velour were friends but midway through the season, the two of them suddenly seem to become close and cling to one another. That changes the whole dynamic of the finale IMO, especially since Shae claimed on All Stars to have been traumatized by losing. You'd think she could have been happy for her friend.

—The first time I watched, Sasha was a real standout and a favorite for me, along with Trinity. This time I realize it's a very mixed bag throughout the season. There are a lot of standout performers and personalities besides them, including especially Shae, Peppermint (both of whom I liked the first go around but neither stood out to me as being as creative or visually striking as Sasha) and Valentina. And...that brings me to...

—Alexis Michelle. What happened to her? She made it far but hasn't resurfaced on All Stars and I don't think I've seen her in any of the YouTube recaps, etc. She was really good a lot of the time. Her Liza Minnelli impression was one of the best and funniest ever of Snatch Game, her Kris Jenner was memorable, even her bombing of the Michelle Visage roast covered in green is memorable. Did she retire? Does everyone hate her? She didn't seem hateable on the show.

—All these years, I have been watching on my old HGTV from 2010. It was 42" and an early version of HD. I never got rid of it because it worked fine and I don't like to dispose of electronics. Someone gave me a new 50" TV for my birthday and 👁👄👁 wow, I had no idea what I was missing on this show. You can see the makeup caked on top of contestants' stubble. You can see...Aja is not the only one with skin problems! It's really a whole other story goin' on here. Half the contestants look the same to me as they did before and half look like men with spackle on their rough faces.

by Anonymousreply 2407/10/2021

sex-ooooooooooo!

by Anonymousreply 2507/10/2021

Not fucking "sad". Pay your dues, you fucking losers.

Here is the link to the first thread, you useless OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2607/10/2021

Paywall you fucktard, r26. That's why this was started! DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2707/10/2021

Really? I had no idea! Such rapier wit r27

If you are so fucking poor that you can't afford a couple of dollars a month, go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 2807/10/2021

R26 You appear to be the same subscriber who posted a link to this thread on the other thread ranting about people being too cheap to pay.

A lot of us have discussed this in threads dedicated to the topic, but here's my reason for not paying to subscribe: it's the content and the functioning of the site, not the cost.

I pay for many subscriptions of many types—newspapers, TV channels, magazines, apps. I don't pay for any subscription to any platform that hosts white supremacist content or other kinds of hatred that are rampant here, including hateful commentary about transgender people. Yes, I know you will defend that this content is not moderated. I don't share your point of view. I won't spend my money or associate my name with a website that will not moderate this kind of hate speech, even when I do seek out other discussions here. I can't do that on principle.

A lesser concern but nevertheless a concern is the functionality of the site. I regularly write responses and then hit reply only for the page to reload and my comment to disappear, for example. That's fine if I am not paying. If I were paying, that kind of glitch happening regularly would be enough to make me cancel my subscription.

Also, in order to subscribe, I'd need to give my name and credit card information to...who? The site is the opposite of transparent. The only administrator we know of lurks invisibly and operates like the wrathful YHWH of the Old Testament: there are some written site polities but they are rarely enforced and they don't seem to be enforced consistently or fairly. Otherwise, the administrators—whose names are unknown and who can't be reached—delete threads at will and do other things without explanation. The aforementioned hate speech threads and posters sometimes take over the site for many months at a time, usually during US elections, without any moderation at all, and then occasionally they are wiped out temporarily.

I would be happy to pay $2.99 per month or more for a site like this site IF it did not allow hate speech and if it functioned transparently and with fewer major tech glitches. Hell, I would pay $2.99 with the glitches if the hate speech were removed and administrators identified themselves even with annoying glitches. But when people here write about black people being animals, antisemitic shit, things about trans people that are exactly like what straight people used to say about gay people, I can't put my name and my money behind it. And that the site owners have prioritized allowing this content over growing paid subscribers tells me a lot about what they want this site to be. A lot of times it's fun bitchy gay content with occasional insight and illumination, but too often it reads like the comments section of Breitbart or Stormfront.

by Anonymousreply 2907/10/2021

Such originality, r28. Take your own advise, douche cunt. And take your MEDS, hon.

by Anonymousreply 3007/10/2021

My own "advise"? r30

Getting right on it you poor relation.

by Anonymousreply 3107/10/2021

Alexis Michelle does not want to go back on DR - she got Birta level hate from Valentina's fans. She is doing that drag make over show on TLC With Throgy Bebe and JuJu.

by Anonymousreply 3207/10/2021

R32 Thanks. I had no idea. She didn't seem hateful toward Valentina. I liked her. She was obnoxious in one ep in particular but otherwise seemed among the best of the contestants. Very polished and fairly witty (relative to many others).

by Anonymousreply 3307/10/2021

Bravo for your post R29. I agree with every word. Thank you for stating it all so well.

by Anonymousreply 3407/10/2021

I thank you as well r29.

I had forgotten that Deidre Hall posted on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 3507/11/2021

r33 Valentina's fans came for everyone. She got called out on the reunion for not stopping it. Shea said, "you could go on your instagram and aske then to stop it but you never did, you could go on twitter and stop it but you never did." Alexis got a lot of hate becasue she would blame her failings on others. She would make a shitty outfit then when called out about it complain no one told her it was shitty. Alexis does that show with JuJu, Bebe and Thorgy - she is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 3607/12/2021

a moment for one of the 2 best performances on all stars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3707/12/2021

Beautiful Bimini. I think she's gonna rock the world when her book comes out. I see film parts for her too. She's different from any and all the rest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3807/14/2021

I don't hate RuPaul like a lot of people do nowadays. I think he's creative and has a lot of gumption and resilience. I say that so I'm clear that what follows isn't meant to be condemning.

I reviewed his Wikipedia yesterday and was amazed how many projects he has done, many of which I don't remember.

RuPaul has put out a lot of albums. I have never bought them but of course I'm familiar with many songs because of Drag Race. I listened to extended clips of most yesterday and although it's not great music and his voice is a solid C, I give him big points for creative versatility. I was surprised to see that RuPaul writes all of his own music/lyrics, and more surprised that most of his albums have been produced and co-written by the profoundly mentally ill Lucian Piane. No wonder RuPaul has stood by him even after he called RuPaul an n*****. They must be very close given all the work they have done together.

It also occurred to me that RuPaul may have brilliantly licensed his songs to his own TV show in such a way as to pay him royalties every time a show re-airs. That alone would make him fabulously wealthy if he owns the publishing. All the international versions of Drag Race also feature his music, whether he hosts or not.

Many of us remember Drag U and AJ and the Queen, but I had forgotten a lot of his other one-and-done projects: Skin Wars (judge), Good Work (host), Gay for Play (host), The RuPaul Show (host). None got any footing. But I give him credit for continuing to plug along.

The awards thing is a curiosity. He spent a lot of time years ago on his podcast talking about why awards are meaningless and how people who get hung up on them need to do spiritual work, etc., and now he is regularly nominated for Emmys and proud as fuck about it. He has pointed out that he gets a lot of Emmy nominations, but still has never been nominated for a BET or NAACP award, which is a really interesting observation...

by Anonymousreply 3907/15/2021

yummy!

by Anonymousreply 4007/15/2021

Holy crap, I had no idea Naomi Smalls is 6'5" barefoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4107/15/2021

[italic]Drag Race Thailand[/italic] is coming back for a third season!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4207/15/2021

R39, Ru will never be nominated for an NAACP or BET award because the heterosexual black community is one of the most homophobic cultures in the world and have never, and will never be, allies to the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 4307/16/2021

^ Fuck off you ancient white monster. Nobody would like you, from any culture.

by Anonymousreply 4407/16/2021

Can someone explain body suits?

I've never seen a woman wearing what they call body suits on the show except as a bathing suit or maybe as a leotard for a gymnast.

And the judges constantly, constantly admonish contestants for wearing them.

And yet, contestants wear them as often as they wear anything else. Probably more often. Why??

I get that the garment may be useful for shaping the padding, etc., but why not put a dress over it if someone feels they have to wear a body suit?

I'm watching Season 10 right now and in the makeover episode, Monet X-Change (one of my favorites) put herself and her partner in bodysuits with skirts and then they both ripped off the skirt part on the runway—and no surprise, she ended up in the bottom.

Why does seemingly every contestant rely on these things for half their outfits, especially knowing that the judges hate them? Are they significantly cheaper to buy than dresses? Is it to save space in the luggage they bring? What's the deal?

by Anonymousreply 4507/17/2021

R45 For the reasons you mentioned as well as they "work" a number of other ways. As body/waist cinchers, as tuck garments, as fake tit holders, etc. I hate them myself. They are lazy in my opinion and rarely look attractive. Give me old school drag sexy body shapers (even if you must do that) over some fucking ratty Danskin that looks like it's going to burst any second.

by Anonymousreply 4607/17/2021

Mrs Kasha Davies letting Gia have it, bring this woman to All Stars 7, she's a gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4707/17/2021

and the reply...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4807/17/2021

LUUUUUUUUUUUV MKD !!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4907/17/2021

Does Gia not think covid is real or an anti mask shit head? Is she an anti vax loon too?

by Anonymousreply 5007/17/2021

Drag Race is such a strange phenomenon. ANTM and Project Runway et al. obviously were serious from the beginning, but Drag Race was originally a parody of those with a lot of gay camp references. Everyone was in on the joke even though there was a cash prize.

People are so insanely serious about it now. I get why it matters to most contestants, given that they sign their lives away in the contract and want to make fortunes from the exposure and want to win the money, but fans taking it so seriously makes me sad. Drag queens are supposed to be like clowns, just ridiculous, colorful entertainment with nothing on the line, and the show has created a whole subculture of psychotic stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 5107/17/2021

[Quote] People are so insanely serious about it now. I get why it matters to most contestants, given that they sign their lives away in the contract and want to make fortunes from the exposure and want to win the money, but fans taking it so seriously makes me sad.

r51, see r 44. She's the insane racist homophobic troll who call everyone old racist f@gs it they don't agree with her. She's exactly who you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5207/17/2021

^^^^ r51, see what I mean. Oh and she projects A LOT!

by Anonymousreply 5407/17/2021

^ r53 on her cell. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 5607/17/2021

R44 is blocked, so I guess I don't have to see that particular menace :)

by Anonymousreply 5707/17/2021

We see and know who you are R52. Your attempts to deflect attention don't work. When we isolate your posts - your vile hatred and troubled nature is revealed. Under a few different accounts.

by Anonymousreply 5807/17/2021

R51, cause just enough really do make it big without Ru. So they all sign away their rights thinking they’ll be the next Bianca or Katya. Even if they never make it that big, they still get enough attention to keep them hustling.

Ben DelaCreme did it right. The reason she quit was cause she didn’t want a contract with the show. She used them for exposure and bounced.

by Anonymousreply 5907/17/2021

Sure, r55. Keep projecting, hon/loon!

by Anonymousreply 6007/17/2021

LOL r58. AGAIN, your projecting is your worst enemy, dear/loon.

by Anonymousreply 6107/17/2021

I was going to ask Miss Georgia: "Do you believe in life after love?"

by Anonymousreply 62Last Sunday at 5:50 AM

r51 the original pitch/concept of Drag race was to pair a drag queen with a designer and do a theme each week where the drag queen and designer would collaborate to create a look. Ru stole the idea from the episode of PR she was on where they made clothes for NYC drag queens (sherry vine, Acid Betty etc)..

by Anonymousreply 63Last Sunday at 7:03 AM

Queen of the box wine has been blocked by Gia Gunn. What an honour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64Last Tuesday at 7:29 AM

LOL,r64!

by Anonymousreply 65Last Tuesday at 9:57 AM

Lets have MRS KASHA DAVIS on ALL STARS please!! That bitch is funny and has amazing cleavage without a breastplate....

by Anonymousreply 66Last Tuesday at 10:11 AM

Does anyone have this? What is on it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67Last Tuesday at 1:36 PM

This doesn't belong here, but FUCK. What the fuck? DOLLY! Ru wants Dolly as a guest judge so bad. He's said before that if Dolly, Cher and Diana Ross all guest judge on Drag Race - he will retire!

Dolly keeps giving. She scares me but I ❤️ her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68Last Tuesday at 2:28 PM

There's a mythological trope among so many cultures of a male god fathering a son who is his pride and joy until the son grows up and suddenly appears to be a threat to the father, and the father tries to kill him preemptively, which makes the father's fear a self-fulfilling prophesy. It's probably an archetypal, deeply embedded fear that men have of being rendered obsolete by their own progeny.

Not to suggest RuPaul is any kind of god, but I find that this career is playing out in accordance with those myths in many ways.

To my knowledge, drag as a performing art that made it to the mainstream used to be primarily comic celebrity impersonation, with men playing Bette Davis and Joan Rivers and Judy Garland, or else people like Dame Edna. And then in gay media, there was Divine, and we all know that type of drag queen.

Today it seems like the only commentary from among LGBT people about RuPaul is about how horrible he is in every way, and celebrating his 'progeny.' It's really interesting to me.

All drag queens who are famous now were made in RuPaul's image in many ways. RuPaul was different from all those old female impersonators by being younger and glamorous, aiming for pretty instead of mocking the appearances and mannerisms of famous women. He had a strong wit that made him great for TV appearances, but his wit was uniquely a kind of wise-cracking camp wit, and mixed with Oprah-esque platitudes. And of course, he has released a lot of music and although few of his songs have gotten mainstream radio play—all of his songs being campy in one way or another and part of his drag package—they've sold well enough to have supported him and made it worthwhile for him to keep doing it.

All the drag queens we know from Drag Race are made in RuPaul's image. Most of them aim for pretty and glam, not for Bette Davis. Some are edgy and regard themselves as punk and political as RuPaul did when he first showed up on talk shows. There are the Divine types who are less inspired by RuPaul's look, but they tend to emulate his persona closely. And all these goddamned drag queens churn out factory-made music to make a quick buck. I don't think almost any of them would have done any of this without emulating RuPaul.

I'm not writing this to praise RuPaul. I just think it's really fascinating that he really did create his own influential persona as an amalgamation of many different aspects of gay and camp and fashion and music culture, and then created a televised factory to produce new versions of himself and reward the best, and then as they've come along, just like in the myths, the progeny have become threats to the originator and now there's so much dramatic tension between them. The kids loathe RuPaul because he's not a loving, gushing parent to all 150 of them, and that loathing has turned into criticizing veritably every aspect of his life, and at the same time, they are still auditioning for him, still begging him weekly for his praise, still asking him for cash prizes and gigs. And RuPaul at first seemed to resent their resentments, and now he seems to have (scorpion-like! He's a scorpio.) retreated into a dark cave when not making public appearances. He scrubbed all his social media of authentically personal sentiments last year and now seems to be all business publicly. And the relationship with his needy progeny has never felt less personal, and their resentment never stronger.

I can't help thinking of Cronus giving life to Zeus and then becoming so paranoid of Zeus's growing power that Zeus had to kill Cronus to escape being killed by him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69Last Wednesday at 1:55 AM

Have any of them performed to this song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70Last Wednesday at 2:28 AM

R69: That's a lot of very thoughty words about a bunch of guys in dresses.

by Anonymousreply 71Last Wednesday at 2:34 AM

r70 This drag queen did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72Last Wednesday at 5:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!