Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mare of Easttown: Enter Number Two

After highlighting transcendent Kate Winslet in part one, a big shout out to Evan Peters doing some phenomenal career defining work, especially drunk Colin and his sad bagel story and messy pass at Mare.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602May 24, 2021 10:34 PM

Part one of Mare of Easttown thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2021 5:40 AM

Watching the recent episode I paid more attention to the Deacon Mark character given the discussion about his age. Agree that he looks at least a decade older than he is, but he also isn’t pulling off an American accent very well...of any kind. His inflections and vowels keep shifting all over with his Glaswegian occasionally popping through. He’s supposed to be from ‘somewhere else’ but they haven’t really explained it well enough to make his convoluted accent convincing to the story line.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2021 9:35 AM

R2 He’s an Alien and there will be a surprise SciFi twists.

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2021 9:42 AM

well i think evan and the cute boys will save the day, we certainly not watching the show for fattycakes in her butch dirty coat...... YES MADAME ACTRESS, WE GET IT UR A REAL REAL PERSON FROM THE WRONG SIDE O THE TRACKS,HONEY

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2021 11:20 AM

For some reason, Scottish actors seem to look older and they don't age well. life is rough in Scotland, and the climate and the industrial air pollution do things. Not to mention the typical diet of a Scotsman.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2021 2:07 PM

I'm still trying to puzzle out how Guy Pearce's character fits into the plot.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2021 2:08 PM

R6 it would be interesting if with her suspension Mare actually starts to read his book and discovers some potentially problematic information that makes her begin to suspect him.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote]well i think evan and the cute boys will save the day, we certainly not watching the show for fattycakes in her butch dirty coat.

Dirty pillows in her dirty coat! Why are the only eligible men in town fighting over my bitch daughter?

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2021 2:14 PM

r5 they all drink like fish, too, and many are smokers.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2021 2:53 PM

Can't help but think Siobahn is deeply involved in this. When Frank asks her what her mom has been up to. She responds, being a hero. They look at each other and chuckle. When the detective asks for tips to get along with Mare, Siobhan says, lower your expectations. Like saying, my mom is way in over her head. She ain't gonna find what me and daddy have done. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2021 2:54 PM

R2 Well, the priest thing, right? Could have begun as a novitiate in UK or Ireland... come to US is serve as a priest... moved around from Diocese to Diocese - north, midwest, south, back to north... picking up bits of accents along the way. This would make more sense if he were in his 40s or 50s...

... but basically, as the character were are clearly manipulated to suspect (throwing her bicycle off the bridge, the late night call from her the night she died, the history of child abuse) he's not very scary. Not much presence or creepiness... kind of blah.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2021 3:20 PM

Jinx! You owe me a Coke!

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2021 3:44 PM

Hard to believe a dumpy pig like Mare would have men like Peters and Pearce falling over themselves to try to woo her. Not to mention her mental instability and the fact that she’s a CUNT. Pearce’s character is up to something.

by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2021 3:49 PM

[quote] I'm still trying to puzzle out how Guy Pearce's character fits into the plot.

Initially I thought he will be a suspect but now I think he really is just a love interest for Mare. And now a possible love🔺with Colin. I guess the writers believe she needs to have a love life as well. Especially if they plan it as multiple seasons.

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2021 3:51 PM

Guy Pearce is pretty dumpy in this too... He's a has-been with one mildly success book that now teachers writing at some community college... Hardly a prize pig. Plus that awful hair... I could see him going for Mare.

Detective Zabel on the other hand... Unless he has a specific fetish for GILF cougars... I can't see why he'd be remotely attracted to Mare.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2021 3:57 PM

I watched the preview for next week and I'm not understanding why posters are calling out Lori's husband as the kidnapper - it seemed to indicate her brother-in-law (Billy?), not her husband, as someone suspicious. I mentioned that back in episode 2. The camera seemed to linger on his troubled face when they were preparing to go tell Kenny that Erin was dead. But his physique is not bulky enough for the shot of the guy carrying the second girl into Bennie's Bar (so who owns this place? I think we'll find out next week). So perhaps he had something to do with Erin's death and not the other two girls. You always know its the characters hovering in the background who are going to become important later on.

I hope Mare has another family meeting soon. Jean Smart is the best. (She deserved an Emmy for Fargo S2 and was the best thing about Watchmen).

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2021 3:58 PM

Binged all 4 episodes last night.

Agree with:

More to the cold case that Evan “solved”

Daughter and Ex both seem like they know more than they’re letting on. They both withheld info from Mare about their interactions with Erin. Maybe DJ is Kevin’s son.

The kidnapper looks like a big guy - not the smaller BIL of Mare’s BFF - but could be the husband. He really wanted to show Mare that her ex had an alibi and gave himself one in the process.

There is probably no connection between Erin and the kidnappings of the prostitutes. Why shoot Erin?

Also - it was shocking seeing tough as hell Mare getting the shit scared out of her by her junkie son and his gf.

by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2021 4:18 PM

DJ is not Kevin's son. They tested Frank (the ex). They said he isn't the father, but if he were the grandfather, there would've still been a considerable match, especially the Y chromosome

by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2021 4:39 PM

I think they said Mares ex is not DJ’s father in ep 4.

by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2021 4:39 PM

R18 On the other hand, what if Frank was not Kevin's father? The Kevin story will certainly continue to be a bigger part of the plot... the scenes where Mare cowers from him as he robbed her for drug money was so shocking... Mare never showed any quality before that would lead her to seem so weak, afraid, passive.

by Anonymousreply 20May 11, 2021 5:01 PM

R20 as someone who had a drug addicted older sibling (he sorted his life out eventually) that scene was a terrifying body flashback

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2021 5:04 PM

Mare is gonna hit the pedal to the metal these next 3 episodes. I'm thinking Erin's killers are Kenny's drinking buddies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2021 5:08 PM

I think the killer is Kenny. I think he is kidnapping the young women and when he went to the woods to meet Erin under her fake name he was enraged that she was whoring and so he killed her. He is easily enraged.

by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2021 5:33 PM

I don't understand why I love this show so much. I pretty much pity every single character, except Helen played by Jean Smart. Hiding the ice cream in a frozen vegetable bag? She's my spirit animal!

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2021 5:49 PM

I agree with R15, Guy Pierce is no prize. Bed hair is one thing, his is Crypt Keeper.

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2021 5:55 PM

The ice cream in the veg bag was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote]Especially if they plan it as multiple seasons.

HBO has presented this as a "Limited Series", just as they did with The Night Of. Three more episodes and it's over.

by Anonymousreply 27May 11, 2021 9:56 PM

may I ask why did mare delete the security footage of the spray paint incident? did she recognize the perp?

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2021 1:02 AM

I think she was tired of being called about petty bullshit R28

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2021 1:04 AM

I think she thought that the old lady was spreading rumors and kinda got what she deserved. No harm done, really.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2021 1:25 AM

[quote] Guy Pearce is pretty dumpy in this too... He's a has-been with one mildly success book that now teachers writing at some community college... Hardly a prize pig. Plus that awful hair... I could see him going for Mare.

Bare in mind Mare isn’t Rose from Titanic. She is frumpy, has the police and personal ethics of Dirty Harry (if a character from Law And Order pulled her shit in this day and age, we would be rolling in the aisles) and has the personality of a used tampon.

Nope; manorexic, ravaged Guy Pearce is National Book Award nominee, not fat, friendly, funny, literate and has a hint of darkness. He would attract women over 30 like flies on shit, because men like that do.

The fact that he and the cute, young, normal detective who physically looks a good 15 years Mare’s junior are fighting to fuck her is either designed to appeal to Kate Winslet’s movie star ego; or, Colin is a murderer and Richard is writing an expose on that shitty town.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote] Especially if they plan it as multiple seasons.

Oh please no. This needs to be one and done. You’d think HBO would have learned from Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2021 2:33 AM

i don't buy that Evans Peter's character would be interested in Mare...unless he has major mummy issues.

by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2021 2:42 AM

"phenomenal career defining work" Give me a break OP. You can't just say you like his work? It has to be phenomenal and career-defining? I've seen the four latest episodes and I don't think anyone is going to forget the last 10 years of AHS and start thinking of Peters as the "mare of easttown guy". Don't be an easy-to-please sycophant. It's a dreary murder mystery, no better or worse than a dozen British TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2021 2:43 AM

I've never seen Evan Peter's before, so I come to him without preconceptions. I find he has a very appealing quality - quirky charm. His drunk scene was great.

Re: Winslet not being attractive. Don't know why all the bitchy criticism of her and her appearance. She is supposed be "real", middle class, tired, tread is a bit worn... a woman of an uncertain age. But I think the homosexual choir is missing something... she is magnetic, has a strength, presence... no nonsense, smart.... a lots of men see that as very attractive. The scene with her on top having a very energetic origin.... it's hot to be with a woman who knows how to use her vagina. Besides, she has great bones, an epic face, even with the mysterious moles/warts.

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2021 3:08 AM

^^^Kiss me, you fool !!

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2021 3:15 AM

Nice long interview with the Australian actress who plays the daughter. I guess the inside joke when the DJ talked about Mannequin Pussy is that it’s there actual music the band sings in the series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2021 9:39 AM

Article has a nice collection of Mare’s mom’s gifs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2021 9:46 AM

I don't understand why no one has asked out Jean Smart. Doesn't she have a love interest?

Apparently older people just stop having any need for love and sex.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2021 9:49 AM

I think Evan Peter's character is attracted to Mare's dominating personality, and he is challenged by her tough exterior. He admires her. She really is good detective. There's also the macho urge to dominate her, and he expresses that sexually. But honestly he admires her, wants to learn from her. I will bet you there will be scene where he "saves " her life from a bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2021 1:06 PM

R39 There’s an upcoming scene where little Drew finds Great Grandma’s vibrators that she hides in a box of Frosted Mini Wheats, hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote]"phenomenal career defining work"

Is Evan's publicist or agent posting here?

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2021 4:31 PM

If someone ever does a film about The White Stripes, Evan Peters would be great as Jack White, he looks so much like him, especially the dark circles under his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2021 4:43 PM

This guy does some very through examinations of shows and deciphers the coming attractions trailer for the remain episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2021 5:34 PM

There are a lot of skanks, druggies, and needy women out there. It's not at all implausible both Guy Pearce and Evan Peters would be sniffing around Mare; she has breasts, she's relatively clean, she has a career (aka her own money), she's intense, she looks like she'd fuck hard, and she has breasts.

That's a lot of stuff straight men find attractive--no one needs to spend a lot buying drinks for some waitress-type who then clings right onto you, looking for a "relationship" and to be "taken care of," when all you are looking for is a wet hole and something more than a B cup.

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2021 5:53 PM

Thanks, R44, I really enjoyed that conversation. This show provides so much entertainment--on and off-screen.

Here's another forgotten character: has Brianna's father, Tony ( he of the milk bottle flinging skills), dropped below our radar?

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2021 6:02 PM

many fat fraus here explaining that men can prefer such women

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2021 6:06 PM

Mare is an Easttown 9/10.

And these are not successful hunks going after her. One is a one-hit-wonder writer with godawful hair and the other lives at home with his mother. They're both squarely within her league.

by Anonymousreply 48May 12, 2021 6:13 PM

I never thought that the deacon might be kidnapping the junkie hookers for their “protection”.

Interesting theory.

by Anonymousreply 49May 12, 2021 6:16 PM

I don't think he'd have them locked in a cage and Katie wouldn't say "You ain't never gettin' outta here" if he was abducting them for their own protection. God some of you are twits.

by Anonymousreply 50May 12, 2021 6:20 PM

I meant that he would be a freak who thinks he is “protecting” them. Hence the quotes around protecting. I just read it at that linked YouTube video.

Fuck you bitch! 🙃

by Anonymousreply 51May 12, 2021 6:28 PM

OK. I'm going out on a limb to make a few predictions. I think Siobhan has this inaccurate image of her dear brother that's a lot different from Mare's experience. Daughter blames Mare for his deterioration, and she obviously feels more comfortable hanging with her father who presents as this big kind hearted lug....and he might be just what he seems to be. But Siobhan has misjudged her mother who won't win prizes as Mother of the Year, but she is the slayer of monsters. Mare's life is too stress filled and she deals with it by becoming tough and brittle to the point where she might break. However. I'm putting Frank, Mare's ex on my list as a possible suspect in the abduction of the two missing girls. I'm also putting Richard, Zabel and the larger of the two bearded friends of Frank, the guy who said he was with Frank when he peed in the closet. Now. Let's look at the murdered girl, Erin. I think they will find the abducted girls and they will catch whoever kidnapped them...but we won't find Erin's killer until the end. It's two different cases. Mare's BFF's son knows something. Siobhan knows something. Jesse knows something...all related to Erin's murder and DJ's father.

by Anonymousreply 52May 12, 2021 6:30 PM

R49, that twisted thought occurred to me too. Maybe not necessarily to only protect them, but also to punish them for being on the prostitution website.

by Anonymousreply 53May 12, 2021 6:32 PM

It's be kinda hard for a deacon with little money or resources, and living in what appears to be shared housing, to sneak around in big navy van.

by Anonymousreply 54May 12, 2021 6:36 PM

The deacon is the most obvious red herring. We see in the preview that he gets the shit kicked out of him and left for dead. It's a popular trope meant to highlight small-town hive mind. Erin came to him for help. He hid the bike because he knew exactly what people would think after his last vague parish move. He wasn't involved at all but he's going to be punished severely nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 55May 12, 2021 6:41 PM

I agree with the above poster that it's probably not the deacon. He lives in shared housing and it would be hard to sneak around and be gone for extended periods of time. And it's just too cliche that a religious figure would be doing this anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56May 12, 2021 6:44 PM

I didn't think I'd like this show. I haven't been able to get into cable dramas for a long time, not sure why, but I'm glad I gave this show a chance. It's much better than I was expecting!! I am relieved that it's a limited series, too.

by Anonymousreply 57May 12, 2021 8:29 PM

R56 He had her pink bicycle which was last seen after 10 the night Erin died. How did he get it R55 if he can't get out late?

Seeing throw the bike in the river does seem too obvious, and fits with the red herring scenario. But there's a lot for him to explain and he seems pretty creepy all the way around. He may not have killed her, nor kidnapped the teen hookers, but he's not innocent.

by Anonymousreply 58May 12, 2021 10:54 PM

Dumb question, but in which episode did we see the Deacon throw the bicycle into the river?! I can't remember it. I binged episodes 1-4 and I think I missed that detail.

by Anonymousreply 59May 13, 2021 12:39 AM

It's either the 3rd or 4th. I think 3rd

by Anonymousreply 60May 13, 2021 12:50 AM

The end of episode 3, the deacon threw the bike.

by Anonymousreply 61May 13, 2021 1:07 AM

I might have to re-watch episode 3. I have no recollection of that scene! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 62May 13, 2021 1:08 AM

Really great scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 13, 2021 1:24 AM

R63 Someone questioned why they were in the same bar for this scene since it’s his high school reunion, but this is when she checks her purse looking at the bags of heroin and most likely is about to go plant them in Carrie’s car. And despite what she says, she has not been talked out of that bad thought. Carrie is pulled over in a town different from Easttown, another jurisdiction, I’m not sure if the Chief says directly, but later Colin invites her to dinner at a friend’s newly opened restaurant in Kennett Square and I bet that’s where he went to high school and this bar places her most likely where she set up Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 64May 13, 2021 2:22 AM

R64 again, I just went back and listened to the Chief confront Mare about Carrie and he says she was pulled over in Kennett Square! Ironically, Kennett Square is the mushroom capital of the world, albeit not the psychotropic ones, but just the regular culinary ones.

by Anonymousreply 65May 13, 2021 2:29 AM

That explains it! I was wondering why Colin’s reunion was taking place in Easttown.

Or that the guys went to a bar in Easttown I should say...

by Anonymousreply 66May 13, 2021 3:15 AM

In the previews, the Deacon is shown going into a bar, which is where he is spotted by the locals and run out of the bar, chased down the street and attacked. So obviously he did go out at night. I wonder if he is the father of the baby. IMO that is the only connection that makes sense. I don't think he was the murderer. Erin gets beat up. She calls him, he comes and gets her, maybe he makes a pass at her and she jumps out and runs away. Then she gets shot. So all in all Erin has a really bad night. The thing is, she is found naked, right? That's the thing that throws me off. I might even believe she was shot and killed by mistake, by accident, if it weren't for that. I hate to even think this, but maybe her father killed he. Maybe it's his baby.

by Anonymousreply 67May 13, 2021 3:16 AM

R67 From the start I thought the father would find us the father. What... well, you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 68May 13, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote] but later Colin invites her to dinner at a friend’s newly opened restaurant in Kennett Square and I bet that’s where he went to high school and this bar places her most likely where she set up Carrie.

Thank you for posting that. There are a few little things like this that I missed.

by Anonymousreply 69May 13, 2021 3:22 AM

I don’t really buy that the kidnapper is using the girls as sex slaves as have been mentioned in some YouTube theory videos. I don’t get the sense that he raped Missy and he didn’t even wait until after or while doing sex before he grabbed her when she would have been more vulnerable. I think whoever is taking them has a twisted idea that he’s saving them from addiction and sex work. I don’t think it’s the deacon, I’m almost more likely to think it’s Mare’s cousin the priest and the deacon is covering up for him with the bike. The look of shock and horror on Mare’s face when she trying to shoot backed up by the door could really be that it’s her cousin.

by Anonymousreply 70May 13, 2021 3:29 AM

Body count:

Ten year old girl (Colin's case) - Dead Erin - Dead

Katie - Abducted Molly - Abducted ------------------------------------------- Pray for:

(a) Lori's Down-syndrome daughter; and (b) D.J. Anne.

by Anonymousreply 71May 13, 2021 7:13 AM

Dead: (a) ten year old girl; and (b) Erin.

Abducted: (a) Katie; and (b) Molly.

Thoughts and prayers for: (a) Lori's daughter; and (b) DJ Anne

Apologies for misformatting in R71.

by Anonymousreply 72May 13, 2021 7:20 AM

I'm thinking it's Kenny McMenamin. He's the baby's father and grandfather. He's capable of murder and was cruel to his daughter. Richard is too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 73May 13, 2021 10:35 AM

[quote]It's not at all implausible both Guy Pearce and Evan Peters would be sniffing around Mare

It's far more implausible that Evan Peters would be trying to fuck his granny boss in 2021, and that Guy Pearce's character would be considered less of a catch to women than Mare is to men.

by Anonymousreply 74May 13, 2021 10:43 AM

I think the killer is the young black cop introduced in the first episode as Mary’s new partner but then is never heard from again and only seen in background shots. Why introduce him as a main character and then go on to ignore him?

by Anonymousreply 75May 13, 2021 10:59 AM

I can’t remember why Evan Peters was brought on the case?

by Anonymousreply 76May 13, 2021 12:25 PM

He solved a difficult murder case involving a missing girl in his district, so his expertise was requested after Mare and her team were failing to crack the Katie case and the new murder of Erin was piling into her workload.

by Anonymousreply 77May 13, 2021 12:59 PM

Thanks r77.

by Anonymousreply 78May 13, 2021 1:18 PM

Remember: Erin was not found naked. She was found with her panties firmly in place.

by Anonymousreply 79May 13, 2021 1:46 PM

This is fun article that talks about the little details that make the show great. And I’m proud to say number one is drunk Colin at that bar and Evan Peters’ performance, which I feel vindicated for chosen to headline the second thread with despite some naysayers! I didn’t quite catch the gender divide about beers (or that at home Colin goes for the lite version) and there’s better information about Colin’s hometown, seems he’s from Ridley Township, which is a bit closer to the Main Line (hence maybe the perceived step in in class), but then not as close to Kennett Square as I imagined him to be living nearby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 13, 2021 1:50 PM

I'm so grateful that I'm not from Pennsylvania and couldn't care less about the various real or unreal locations in this series. But good for you all who are from that area if it's making the series more interesting for you.

by Anonymousreply 81May 13, 2021 2:07 PM

OK. I like the father of Erin for this as well as those two brothers for the abductions.

by Anonymousreply 82May 13, 2021 5:48 PM

Yeah Pennsylvania is such a depressing state... even more depressing than boring Delaware.

by Anonymousreply 83May 13, 2021 6:04 PM

R75, I've wondered about him, too. There was absolutely no reason for his introduction. His "I can't stand the site of blood" routine seemed suspect for a cop as well.

by Anonymousreply 84May 13, 2021 6:10 PM

meh no, that was only a reason to put more blacks in a show , they have to nowadays.. They will feel offended otherwise

by Anonymousreply 85May 13, 2021 6:25 PM

Winslet and Peters are outstanding in that scene at R63!

by Anonymousreply 86May 13, 2021 6:38 PM

R85 Hon, get some help. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 87May 13, 2021 6:39 PM

R87 no thanks, i am not the one who needs help.fuck off to LSA

by Anonymousreply 88May 13, 2021 6:40 PM

R88 Lebanese Society of Anesthesiologists?

by Anonymousreply 89May 14, 2021 2:25 AM

Absolutely loving this so far. It's layered, well acted, great story and nicely done. Wish I could binge watch it all the way through instead of this week by week crap releasing.

by Anonymousreply 90May 14, 2021 4:14 AM

R85 isn't wrong. There's a quota now to have POC.

by Anonymousreply 91May 14, 2021 5:11 AM

Yes. Because there are no Black people living just west of Philadelphia. Did the brain trust in Daily Caller or Breitbart come up with that insight?

by Anonymousreply 92May 14, 2021 11:40 AM

There aren't many black people in these white trash towns like the show depicts. Towns like that are nearly 100% white, no other POC either.

by Anonymousreply 93May 14, 2021 2:17 PM

R92 Wasn’t the Fresh Prince from west Philadelphia born and raised?

by Anonymousreply 94May 14, 2021 2:25 PM

Yes. On the playground was where he spent most of his days.

by Anonymousreply 95May 14, 2021 2:27 PM

POCK.

I don't like calling people that. They aren't even that different. They're like more toasted than raw people not cooked by sun but people act like they're different species.

by Anonymousreply 96May 14, 2021 2:44 PM

The guy in the blue van who abducted the latest girl didn't have a beard so it can't be the ex-husband. I keep thinking that it has to be Guy Pierce, not because of anything in the story, but because he is a movie-guy on a TV show so he needs a bigger part. That stated, the guy in the van looked bigger than Guy Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 97May 14, 2021 2:44 PM

The guy in the van strikes me as Dylan's dad.

by Anonymousreply 98May 14, 2021 2:48 PM

21% of Montgomery county are not white. 9% are black.

14% of Bucks county are not white.

19% of Northampton county are not white.

28% of Lehigh county are not white.

Etc.

by Anonymousreply 99May 14, 2021 3:19 PM

r99 there are towns that are mostly white.

by Anonymousreply 100May 14, 2021 3:31 PM

R100 And no humans are allowed to drive from one town to another to work, etc. Right.

Nativists are like flat-earthers.... not amount of data will change what they want to believe.

by Anonymousreply 101May 14, 2021 3:42 PM

As others theorized, I also believe Erin's killer is not the same person who kidnapped those girls. We already saw the kidnapper - and it seems he's not one of the characters we've met before? I think we already met Erin's killer.

by Anonymousreply 102May 14, 2021 4:05 PM

R102 Why do you think the kidnapper is someone we haven't met? We didn't see his face and his body shape suggest he could be Erin's father, the naughty Priest, or others. The momma's boy cop, and the failed writer... both look too slim to be the kidnapper we saw.

by Anonymousreply 103May 14, 2021 4:13 PM

Isn't "People of Color" the exact same thing saying "colored people"? The wokeness has made us all retarded.

by Anonymousreply 104May 14, 2021 5:27 PM

R104 I'll be glad when "wokeness" leaves our vocabulary. It gets weaponized to "win arguments" and diminish social-cultural ideas.

What you are saying is something similar to a white person in 1955 saying... "Isn't Negro the exact same thing as nigger?" No, junior, it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 105May 14, 2021 5:32 PM

R92 They put blacks into the show even for one minute because they have to, dear. There are more of them than before. I dont say I dont like it. Now you can find "a reason" why there are blacks, but find an answer for me why Anna Boylen is black.

by Anonymousreply 106May 14, 2021 6:01 PM

R106 Anna Boylen. Wow, what a surprise you're an ignorant fuck.

by Anonymousreply 107May 14, 2021 6:03 PM

R106 So an answer or you are just a black abuser?

by Anonymousreply 108May 14, 2021 6:07 PM

[quote]And no humans are allowed to drive from one town to another to work, etc. Right.

[quote]Nativists are like flat-earthers.... not amount of data will change what they want to believe.

Sweetheart, it is not racist to point out that there are small towns that are mostly white people. I don't know if you're familiar with rural areas, but towns like these skew heavily white. Please calm down.

by Anonymousreply 109May 14, 2021 7:15 PM

R103 Why are people still thinking it could be Erin’s father who abducted the girls, he’s still in jail for shooting Dylan and couldn’t have abducted Missy, and Katie would have probably starved by now.

by Anonymousreply 110May 14, 2021 7:29 PM

I pick Erin's father as her potential killer, but here's a new possibility....suppose the deacon comes to her rescue after she gets beaten up by that nasty girl, and they start making out in his car... which is why she was almost naked when found. ( I think the Deacon is the baby daddy) He drunk-ish father, who was suspicious of him, was following the Deacon, and starts shooting, but misses the deacon and hits his daughter...who was covering her face to hide her identity. When the shooting starts and Erin drops, the Deacon makes a run for it back to his vehicle, and speeds away. When old drunk dad sees that he shot his own kid and she is dead he removes her body, takes her back to the rocks, and poses her then leaves. Remember, after he shot Dylan, he drunkenly posed himself on the same rocks just the way Erin was when his buddies found him drunk. Now. On the abductions, I like those two friends of Erin's dad. One or both are the kidnappers.

by Anonymousreply 111May 14, 2021 9:03 PM

R109 You're addressing a question that wasn't posed. The point (in this thread) was why do we see black and other POC in this show when these areas are mostly or all white? The challenge was saying "it's only because there is some new woke quota - that's why they cast black people!!"

My point was there is significantly large communities of non-white people in the county and surrounding counties where this drama is set.... it is realistic that there are black people, has nothing to do with a "quota". Is pointing this out other than the calm facts? Please advise.

R110 Righto, Erin's dad is in jail, he could not have done the last kidnapping . My error. (I suggested he could be the kidnapper).

by Anonymousreply 112May 14, 2021 11:30 PM

[quote]The point (in this thread) was why do we see black and other POC in this show when these areas are mostly or all white? The challenge was saying "it's only because there is some new woke quota - that's why they cast black people!!"

This is actually now required with British tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 113May 14, 2021 11:54 PM

Whenever I get a work email that ends with "please advise" I know the person is a passive-aggressive turd.

by Anonymousreply 114May 14, 2021 11:55 PM

R144 ... of COURSE it's a response to others' snideness. Duh.

R113 Again, not the point. Whether or not there are hiring benchmarks, the point is for this series, given the counties involved, not having any black people visible would be incorrect. Would not be really reflective of these places.

by Anonymousreply 115May 14, 2021 11:58 PM

r115 a small, tight-knit white circle of friends doesn't always have non-whites in it. I also thought it was reaching a bit.

by Anonymousreply 116May 14, 2021 11:59 PM

If this had been Central PA, I might have questioned the presence of the black characters (I lived there for a brief time and its whiteness was unbearable). But this is outside of Philly. That's a whole other side of the state and totally makes sense. I really hope the race baiting troll with their quotas bullshit shuts up because its ruining this thread.

I felt the point of the black cop in the first episode was to show how capable Mare is - she's trying to apprehend a drug addict while hobbling with a twisted foot, she's trying to coax the drug addict to come out of his locked room since she knows him, instead of resorting to violence, and in the midst of it she's trying to soothe the cop with an aversion to blood and about to pass out on his first day in the field. Mare can juggle a lot and she has some empathy, is what the scene seemed to be saying, which is important to remember when we see her later antagonizing a woman with cancer who has a missing child.

by Anonymousreply 117May 15, 2021 1:17 AM

R116 It was the casting of the black cop that was the original challenge of "oh, it's just because they have to put black people on screen...." A rookie black cop in that county, yep, pretty realistic.

R117 Exactly the take away from those first scenes... Mare is a woman with a LOT on her plate. A LOT. Divorce, pressure at the job, questions about her performance (the demonstrations about the missing girl), a lesbian daughter about the leave for college, a problematic mother in her face every day, a grandkid she adores who MAY have some neural issue similar to his father who committed suicide... Mare still grieving his loss and worrying about losing custody of the grandkid to a mom who had robbed Mare and was just now trying to get clean.... (breathe) AND then she gets a new cop to work with who faints at the sight of blood, sprains her ankle as she chases a guy she knows...

And.... she handles is all... barely. You want something good to happen to this woman. Way more on her plate than she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 118May 15, 2021 2:05 AM

I haven't seen the show or read the threads, but I'm sick of seeing the name "Mare". Who names their daughter that? Why not "Sow"?

by Anonymousreply 119May 15, 2021 3:13 AM

Sow is nice, much better than Ewe.

by Anonymousreply 120May 15, 2021 3:45 AM

The sow is mine!

by Anonymousreply 121May 15, 2021 4:26 AM

R105, MIchael Che just made the exact same joke in his new Hulu show.

Go watch it but he says:

Sayin' "people of color" is the same damn thing as calling us colored people. Ain't no damn difference.

by Anonymousreply 122May 15, 2021 5:30 AM

R119 Her name is Marianne, idiot

by Anonymousreply 123May 15, 2021 8:59 AM

The scene at R63 is the height of click-click-click acting.

I don't believe for a second that those are real people having a moment—they're two actors trying to nail "drunk acting" and a Philly-adjacent accent.

by Anonymousreply 124May 15, 2021 9:11 AM

[quote]actors trying to nail "drunk acting"

R124: "sober-acting," not "drunk-acting," is the actor's motivation when portraying an intoxicated character.

by Anonymousreply 125May 15, 2021 5:38 PM

And if you read some of the prep material, apparently Evan does continuous shots of apple cider vinegar to give himself the feel of loading up on alcohol. I guess like putting a stone in your shoe to help you limp, like what I imagine Winslet doing in the first episode after the fall. Also, I was thinking, I bet drinking all that gives you the loaded feel and need to take a piss that drinking causes and I imagine him having to do a little pee dance during the long filming that would be true to being a bit drunk.

by Anonymousreply 126May 15, 2021 6:01 PM

Newsflash: Actors routinely take a few little nips before doing a drunk scene. They're not intoxicated, but they have a little booze in them to help with their performance. This has been going on with actors since the beginning of time.

by Anonymousreply 127May 15, 2021 6:22 PM

He speaks the truth! I would swallow fermented grain juice before performing Ug of Madork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 15, 2021 11:04 PM

What will happen to night?

by Anonymousreply 129May 16, 2021 11:42 AM

Wait and see........

by Anonymousreply 130May 16, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote]I'm so grateful that I'm not from Pennsylvania and couldn't care less about the various real or unreal locations in this series. But good for you all who are from that area if it's making the series more interesting for you.

THANK YOU r81. The daily "here's where Evan Peters gets his disgusting hoagies and Kate Winslet purchased her coffee" articles are overkill.

by Anonymousreply 131May 16, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote]The scene at [R63] is the height of click-click-click acting. I don't believe for a second that those are real people having a moment—they're two actors trying to nail "drunk acting" and a Philly-adjacent accent.

Agreed. I often have this issue with Kate Winslet. She doesn't allow her characters to be feel humiliated when they should be, and she never quite rings true for me.

by Anonymousreply 132May 16, 2021 12:42 PM

She always radiates “haughty“, the way Kevin Spacey can’t shake “slimy”.

by Anonymousreply 133May 16, 2021 12:52 PM

Couldn't disagree more, r132. Kate as Mare often seems broken and humiliated by circumstances here. And she's certainly allowing herself to be filmed unflatteringly throughout. There's a strength and intelligence but that's what makes for a complex character, unlike what we see on those stupid Ryan Murphy shows.

by Anonymousreply 134May 16, 2021 1:12 PM

I don’t like the tonal shifts. One minute it’s as bleak as anything you’d see on TV, the next (especially scenes with the normally wonderful Jean Smart) feels sitcommy. And the idea that Dylan would smother a crying baby with a pillow is ridiculous. There are moments I really like Winslet and others I find her actressy.

by Anonymousreply 135May 16, 2021 3:17 PM

Interesting assessment, R135. Have to admit that the husband and I roared when Jean Smart snapped, “I’m sorry I wasn’t MAIMED enough for you!” but scenes like that do seem a little jarring among the bleakness. Still, very much intrigued by the show, and I think Winslet and Peters are excellent— I happen to love the scene at R63.

by Anonymousreply 136May 16, 2021 3:33 PM

R132 Interesting. I think perhaps the reasons why you dislike her are also why I do like her. As an actress she never seems like she is pandering for our sympathy and affection. And she is, in this series and other roles (circumstances and plot in Ammonite were existentially humiliating - life putting her "in her place") . In this series she continues to navigate forces that want to diminish her, she swims against the tide as "best she can"... messy, brow bloodied but, so far, unbowed.

R135 Comic relief helps make the darkness more credible. Relentless suspense and heavy drama would (so my theory goes) raises the plot to melodrama.

by Anonymousreply 137May 16, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote] Couldn't disagree more, [R132]. Kate as Mare often seems broken and humiliated by circumstances here.

Actually, you’re wrong. Mare possibly should be broken and humiliated by circumstances, but Winslet doesn’t perform this at all. Her demotion at work didn’t affect her demeanour or mood. The next day the same way she always does, clamped up and sour. She wasn’t even honest enough to be sheepish about planting the drugs. She was actually shocked that her boss dressed her down. Mare is a character who thinks her shit doesn’t stink. Someone with that kind of ego has no humility.

[quote]And she's certainly allowing herself to be filmed unflatteringly throughout.

That’s not a lack or vanity nor a sign of humiliation, a bad wig and a butch wardrobe are a sign an actress wants another Emmy. Not forgetting, of course, this “unflatteringly filmed” woman has been praised for her beauty on screen and has the only two eligible men in town beating her door down.

[quote]There's a strength and intelligence but that's what makes for a complex character, unlike what we see on those stupid Ryan Murphy shows.

She doesn’t seem particularly intelligent at all. She seems to be operating on the level of an average cop, which at least rings true.

by Anonymousreply 138May 16, 2021 5:17 PM

R138 Did you not watch her cowering and whimpering on the floor of her bathroom when she was being robbed by her son? That was broad enough for you?

But I think you want pantomimed Noh Theater-like performance of humiliation. Winslet's struggles show both a strong woman, but also a lot of cracks in the façade.

by Anonymousreply 139May 16, 2021 5:23 PM

[quote] As an actress she never seems like she is pandering for our sympathy and affection. And she is, in this series and other roles (circumstances and plot in Ammonite were existentially humiliating - life putting her "in her place") In this series she continues to navigate forces that want to diminish her, she swims against the tide as "best she can"... messy, brow bloodied but, so far, unbowed

Winslet is an actor who often refuses to play weakness - or conversely its twin, self-awareness.

There is no complexity to a portrayal where the response to everything from a conversation with her best friend, interaction her grandson, her multiple acts of almost laughable corruption as a police officer, the verbal abuse and humiliation she lays on her a daughter and a mother and ex-husband, the attempts at seduction two different men lay on her is the same hard, cold meanness. She leaves the room and she behaves no different. She wakes up in the morning utterly unchanged as per Winslet.

Winslet is an actor who is all costumes and accents and appearance. She generally picks one tone for her character an sticks to it throughout (Natalie Portman is also like this). All the reviews are dazzled by the dialect and the coffee and the cheese in a can.

[quote] But I think you want pantomimed Noh Theater-like performance of humiliation. Winslet's struggles show both a strong woman, but also a lot of cracks in the façade.

You seem weirdly offended by criticism of her performance. Where did I request more “broadness”? If anything I would like more subtly in the way Mare responds to what she experiences.

[quote] Did you not watch her cowering and whimpering on the floor of her bathroom when she was being robbed by her son? That was broad enough for you?

That was in flashback, and didn’t add much shade to what we already know about Mare as a person so much as reveal events of the past, so...

by Anonymousreply 140May 16, 2021 5:42 PM

I understand your comments and observations. We'll just agree to disagree. No offense taken at all... just disagreement.

I do think her abject fear and disintegration as her son terrorized her is an important clue to her character, and plays in the background of a lot of her attempt to "stay strong"... along with the still-to-be-explicated comment from her daughter, " ... whatever you think you'll get from her you'll be disappointed"

by Anonymousreply 141May 16, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] I understand your comments and observations. We'll just agree to disagree. No offense taken at all... just disagreement.

R141 thank you for your polite and generous response - we will agree to disagree and hope that more layers are revealed in both the mysteries and Mare.

by Anonymousreply 142May 16, 2021 5:54 PM

r140 have you ever known any real-life women like Mare? They always have an edge and a hardness to them. Beaten down by life and economic circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 143May 16, 2021 7:13 PM

I like the darkness and then moments of humor. That’s life. I’ve been through some dark shit - but I have always been able to laugh my way through it. I definitely get that trait from my mother.

Anyway - 3 generations of women living under the same roof. Of course they’ll bicker and bitch each other out and then make up.

by Anonymousreply 144May 16, 2021 8:45 PM

I feel sorry for the turtle, he’s never going to survive until the end.

by Anonymousreply 145May 16, 2021 8:48 PM

Sharp Objects gave us lots of luscious male nudity. Mare is failing us in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 146May 16, 2021 8:50 PM

That turtle must be a shape shifter. He's the one kidnapping the girls. First, he gets into their homes disguised as a pet turtle, finds out all kinds of stuff about his victims, sets the trap and then kidnaps them. Siobhan is his next victim. Watch and see, watch and see.

by Anonymousreply 147May 16, 2021 8:51 PM

It is a little weird that the young woman of Easttown don’t exactly seem to be in fear of being abducted, one would think there’d be some type of community effort to protect them and encourage them not be out at night alone.

by Anonymousreply 148May 16, 2021 8:58 PM

I wonder if we'll ever see Dawn in a different cancer head rag.

by Anonymousreply 149May 16, 2021 9:25 PM

You people are taking this show way too seriously. Have a beer and enjoy it. Good god.

by Anonymousreply 150May 16, 2021 11:08 PM

The show would be even more enjoyable with a few more hot shirtless men, no?

by Anonymousreply 151May 16, 2021 11:14 PM

The turtle probably snuck to kill someone.

by Anonymousreply 152May 17, 2021 2:09 AM

Mare is a total butch straight woman.

by Anonymousreply 153May 17, 2021 2:10 AM

R148 Maybe Jean Smart's character will stop playing on her ipad and knit a cancer rag for Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 154May 17, 2021 2:12 AM

Who is the real father of the baby?

by Anonymousreply 155May 17, 2021 2:20 AM

R155 It's probably the cousin guy who Erin lived with.

by Anonymousreply 156May 17, 2021 2:22 AM

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 157May 17, 2021 3:06 AM

Okay wasn’t expecting that at the end with Evan Peters. But it was an amazing episode.

by Anonymousreply 158May 17, 2021 3:09 AM

You can say that again, R157.

by Anonymousreply 159May 17, 2021 3:09 AM

Mare is pissed off now!

by Anonymousreply 160May 17, 2021 3:11 AM

You know, at first....don't want to seem too spoilerish.... I thought Mare's BFF 's son was a victim of abuse by his father. I mean when she saw them in his bedroom and the guy kept insisting his son "keep a secret." But clearly something else is going on.

But I'm telling you those two brothers with the beards, especially the one who admitted Erin's father was no good and she stayed with him for "a few weeks" or "I don't remember" something shady was going on. I think one of them was the baby daddy.

But then things take a sinister turn with Jessie and Dylan and those journals. Yeah Mare has a lot to be pissed about... because it sure looks like Jess is deliberately misleading Mare... nd once Mare realizes she was being played she is going to be extremely pissed.

by Anonymousreply 161May 17, 2021 3:19 AM

I think Dylan, Jess, and the other guy committed some crime and they all end up in jail. DJ will probably be taken away from Dylan's parents and placed with John and Lori.

by Anonymousreply 162May 17, 2021 3:19 AM

Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 163May 17, 2021 3:22 AM

Boy, the last ten minutes of this week's episode really ripped off the ending of "The Silence of the Lambs."

by Anonymousreply 164May 17, 2021 3:27 AM

[quote]DJ will probably be taken away from Dylan's parents and placed with John and Lori.

Not likely now with all the drama and acting-out going on in the latter family's home.

by Anonymousreply 165May 17, 2021 3:28 AM

r164 I was just going to post that.

by Anonymousreply 166May 17, 2021 4:00 AM

I told you Colin’s mom is one of those Catholic bunny boiler nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 167May 17, 2021 4:08 AM

Ugh. I had a feeling that Zabel was about to die after his conversation with Mare, when he confessed not solving the case. However, I thought they'd kill him off during the finale, not with two episodes left to go!

I was reading peoples' theories about Erin's killer and a few people suggested Billy, who I had completely forgotten about. I went back and re-watched the first four episodes this weekend (yes, I have no life... sue me) and yeah, there's a scene where he is vaguely suspicious in the second episode. That combined with his behaviour during this episode leads me to think he's the killer. He's probably the baby daddy.

I can't tell if it's the actress or the character who is annoying, but the show just draaaaaags when Siobhan is on screen.

by Anonymousreply 168May 17, 2021 4:11 AM

I think it's the haircut that makes Siobhan so tiresome

by Anonymousreply 169May 17, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote]I was reading peoples' theories about Erin's killer and a few people suggested Billy

I was one of them. I don't know if I am totally sold on her killing her, but he is 100% the baby daddy. The way that Mare was eyeing his Rolling Rock longneck, I am wondering if she takes it and has the spit/dna tested against the baby's. At first I thought she was just finding it odd he'd be leaving right after opening a brand new beer, but now I think she's going to test it.

I completely agree that the last 10 minutes borrowed heavily from Silence of the Lambs. I felt like a few shots of the killer even matched up to Buffalo Bill's exit from the kitchen. Shooting Colin dead so soon did shock me though. I thought those girls were going to rip out the pipes before the two of them actually did anything, and then I remembered Mare had no gun. Colin really was a bit of a rookie.

I did not buy that cafeteria scene, tho. An adult finally shows up and does something *after* the asshole kids have flung food at the mentally challenged sister TWICE.

by Anonymousreply 170May 17, 2021 4:19 AM

Did anyone else chuckle when Brianne was whining about going to beauty school and doing hair of the "main line" women? It was too much.

by Anonymousreply 171May 17, 2021 4:20 AM

R170 The cafeteria scene didn't ring true for me, either.

by Anonymousreply 172May 17, 2021 4:21 AM

Also, I wonder what Erin's bff found in the journal and hid in her pocket. A photo of Billy/baby daddy? Or something else even more damning?

by Anonymousreply 173May 17, 2021 4:21 AM

Babydykes in love bonding over one of them making a "brave" art project at a private school is about the least interesting thing I could possibly imagine.

by Anonymousreply 174May 17, 2021 4:22 AM

ugh, *him* killing her ^^

by Anonymousreply 175May 17, 2021 4:22 AM

They were probably going with Silence of the Lambs with the burning of the diaries the one most prominent of the bunch is the one with the butterflies. Like when Clarice shot BUFFALO Bill the butterfly thingy appears

by Anonymousreply 176May 17, 2021 4:23 AM

Apparently Easttown is the prostitution capital of the entire US Eastern Seaboard.

by Anonymousreply 177May 17, 2021 4:24 AM

Sneak peak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178May 17, 2021 4:27 AM

An earlier shot / theme ripped off from. SOTL was Mare first going to look for the diaries. 100% Frederick Bimmel.

by Anonymousreply 179May 17, 2021 4:28 AM

[quote] 100% Frederick Bimmel.

Hey! Jame may have turned my skin into a woman suit, but I was still a real woman all the same!!

by Anonymousreply 180May 17, 2021 4:35 AM

Isn't Mare partially responsible for Colin's death? Going there as a "civilian" with no gun herself... it'd seem that she might be under some legal jeopardy herself?

But then it's just TV, right?

I don't think we're going to get to a happy ending here, though.

by Anonymousreply 181May 17, 2021 4:42 AM

I've been singing "Beauty School Dropout" all evening, R171.

by Anonymousreply 182May 17, 2021 4:47 AM

Where was Richard Ryan all episode? Was he off killing Mrs Carroll?

by Anonymousreply 183May 17, 2021 4:54 AM

Richard does resemble a ferret...

by Anonymousreply 184May 17, 2021 4:58 AM

What do Easttown women have against hair of a single color?

by Anonymousreply 185May 17, 2021 5:00 AM

Ugh, Zabel had sacrificial lamb written all over him.

by Anonymousreply 186May 17, 2021 5:35 AM

damn...wasn't expecting that!

by Anonymousreply 187May 17, 2021 5:58 AM

The table full of Pyrex bowls filled with potato salad and casseroles at the funeral reception was a perfect Pennsylvania touch, but there should have been at least one with a classic Amish design like these. Also, referring to the washcloth as a “rag” was very Pennsylvanian as well, surprisingly they didn’t fully call it a “warsh rag” where the intrusive “r” comes from who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188May 17, 2021 6:05 AM

Notice that "radiator" is pronounced so it rhymes with "gladiator."

by Anonymousreply 189May 17, 2021 6:07 AM

HOLY FUCK!

Just finished watching episode 5! Fantastic! I am absolutely loving this series. As soon as I saw the blue van man's body I knew he was the one.

Didn't expect what happened to Zabel and he's not in next weeks preview...

by Anonymousreply 190May 17, 2021 6:39 AM

So we're sure Zabel is dead? I can't recall if his eyes were closed or open when Mare came back to grab his gun and kill the serial kidnapper/rapist.

by Anonymousreply 191May 17, 2021 6:48 AM

[quote] What do Easttown women have against hair of a single color?

Multi-colored hair is the style these days.

My sister is a hairdresser and colorist in a small town near enough a large city to qualify as an exurb, and all the women want highlights and lowlights of different colors.

by Anonymousreply 192May 17, 2021 6:57 AM

I binged watch this last night, and now this new episode. Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 193May 17, 2021 7:48 AM

R71 - I had to google the connotation of ‘Main Line women’. Learning so much about southeastern Pennsylvania from this show! I hope to see more productions like this where the geography and local culture are as intriguing as the stars.

by Anonymousreply 194May 17, 2021 8:37 AM

Evan Peters talks about his character dying in an article. He’s done.

by Anonymousreply 195May 17, 2021 8:45 AM

r195 thanks for the update and bummer. I really liked his acting, and I didn't watch Glee or recall seeing him in anything, so came in without preconceived notions.

by Anonymousreply 196May 17, 2021 8:57 AM

R196 He’s been on most of the American Horror Story seasons. The main male featured player you can say.

by Anonymousreply 197May 17, 2021 9:14 AM

You queens are sick. Even if Mare looked like Amy Schumer she’d still probably be getting dick. This is Kate Winslet, have a little respect.

by Anonymousreply 198May 17, 2021 9:15 AM

r196 i have only "accidentally" watched an episode or two of AHS when I was in a hotel room. Slasher shit and horror porn are not my cup of tea, just like the reason I don't want to watch Ratched.

I just appreciated his contribution to the story/role. I also think he's cute.

by Anonymousreply 199May 17, 2021 9:46 AM

His eyes were open R191. Dead as a door nail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200May 17, 2021 9:55 AM

OMG!

by Anonymousreply 201May 17, 2021 11:07 AM

I wonder what Colin’s mother is going to throw through Mare’s window, it’s bound to be worse then a gallon of milk.

by Anonymousreply 202May 17, 2021 11:41 AM

Poor Colin will never get the chance to try the tortellini now, unless he finished off Mare’s plate when she walked out on him.

by Anonymousreply 203May 17, 2021 11:44 AM

Colin should've eaten zucchini when he had the chance.

(How funny was it that they both had an aversion to zucchini?!)

by Anonymousreply 204May 17, 2021 11:53 AM

So, it's John, Lori's husband, Erin's killer. The secret he told his son to keep had to do with that situation.

by Anonymousreply 205May 17, 2021 12:06 PM

Nope, I don't think so, R205. I think he and his brother have secrets but I think Lori's husband is having an affair, and his kid knows, but it was the one who bailed when Mae started questioning him, who is the baby daddy. As to who killed Erin, after this last episode I'm willing to take another look at Dylan. He is disgusting. I probably was off with some of my theories, but I read the Deacon right in my post at R111.

by Anonymousreply 206May 17, 2021 1:11 PM

I've worked with the fabulous Robbie Tann who plays Billy, the bearded cousin/brother-in-law to Lori so I hope he's more featured in the last two episodes in any capacity.

And I'm not convinced that Colin is dead. Last night we had DJ wandering all over town a few weeks after he'd been shot in the back.

Very odd that Guy Pearce has disappeared from the action. It would seem to be quite contrived to get him back into the story line in any significant way. But what a great episode last night! The discovery of the missing girls might indicate that their disappearance had nothing to do with Erin's murder, yes?

by Anonymousreply 207May 17, 2021 1:24 PM

What about the cranky neighbor lady played by Phyllis Somerville whose car crash caused the power outage.....what was that all about? It didn't really seem to lead to anything plot wise and and I'm wondering if it was the result of Phyllis Somerville actually dying during Covid (RIP) and the writers having to change course about her character's involvement in the series. Or was the power outage about something else??

Even the funny moment about the widower declaring his affair with Jean Smart seemed to come out of nowhere and almost seemed like it was all adlibbed that day on the set.......am I crazy?

by Anonymousreply 208May 17, 2021 1:30 PM

Actually there are moments of hilarity in this series, and that accident and the husband's confession at the funeral had me weeping with laughter. The scene with Mae laughing hysterically on the drive home was delightful. If you really get into the vibe of this series there are other funny moments, it isn't nearly as bleak as first appears. Well, it is but still... Actually I think the main characters all play their parts with tongue in cheek at times.

by Anonymousreply 209May 17, 2021 1:37 PM

I don’t like looking at Jean Smart or listening to her.

by Anonymousreply 210May 17, 2021 1:53 PM

r210, Leave this place.

by Anonymousreply 211May 17, 2021 1:54 PM

Me after episode 4: Colin is gonna die. Have a bad feeling.

Me as soon as Colin kisses Mare: Oh yeah! Colin is dead. Kiss of death.

Me after Colin gets shot in the head: Nooo! 😭 Why? How could they?

Yeah. Colin had his head blown off. He’s gone. I’m just glad that his secret wasn’t really terrible.

by Anonymousreply 212May 17, 2021 2:05 PM

I think that Erin’s cousin (Billy, right?) is the baby daddy. The cheater cousin is going to stay with his dad because wife kicked him out and HIS dad is going to tell him about catching Billy with Erin. That’s what the preview seemed to show.

I think maybe the teens are up to something like drugs. Jess lead Mare down the escort path to keep her from finding out about what they’re doing.

Seems like all three crimes (Erin’s pregnancy being statutory rape) are unconnected.

by Anonymousreply 213May 17, 2021 2:16 PM

What is it exactly that John is "doing" with that same woman? I find Lori's phrasing ("is your father 'doing it again'") a strange way of discussing an affair.

I reiterate my concern for the safety of Lori's daughter and DJ Anne; is there time enough remaining in the season for a near-murder?

RIP, Colin; glad you got that kiss.

by Anonymousreply 214May 17, 2021 3:06 PM

Am I the only one that thought John Ross was abusing his kids? Although nothing about Lori 's character suggests that she would simply face it with "is your father doing it again?" She'd likely shoot him. So....

I think Frank having problems with his girlfriend is significant. I still think there is something to be revealed about Frank, and Siobhan too...

Actually too many loose ends and subplots to finish off well in two more episodes. Although as has been said upthread, really glad this is a "one and done" limited series. Too many good stories are stretched out to multiple seasons then at one point you feel, well who cares what happens to these people.

by Anonymousreply 215May 17, 2021 3:17 PM

John is revealed in this episode to be, at minimum, guilty of infidelity. That, at least, is what young Ryan Ross (Cameron Mann) lets his mother Lori (Julianne Nicholson) believe when she asks why he's acting up. Notice Ryan doesn't say anything himself, just nods along to her assumption. During a phone chat this week, director Craig Zobel said this scene will “mean something later.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 17, 2021 3:42 PM

Well, I think once the whole series drops this is definitely one I will have to re-watch, because it is well done and I know I'm missing cues and clues.

by Anonymousreply 217May 17, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote]John is revealed in this episode to be, at minimum, guilty of infidelity. That, at least, is what young Ryan Ross (Cameron Mann) lets his mother Lori (Julianne Nicholson) believe when she asks why he's acting up. Notice Ryan doesn't say anything himself, just nods along to her assumption. During a phone chat this week, director Craig Zobel said this scene will “mean something later.”

Remember to attribute copied material to the source, R216. A set of quotation marks would have sufficed since you went on to link the article.

by Anonymousreply 218May 17, 2021 4:27 PM

I love the series but I find it a little unbelievable that a police search of Erin's bedroom after her murder wouldn't have uncovered her journals hiding in plain sight in that broken radiator.

by Anonymousreply 219May 17, 2021 5:17 PM

The writing and casting of Dylan as the “hot teenage boy who is actually ugly, stupid and annoying but all the girls want to fuck him anyway because there’s like 4 other options in a 50km radius” is so utterly on point.

by Anonymousreply 220May 17, 2021 5:24 PM

The radiators were the unsung heroes of the episode!

by Anonymousreply 221May 17, 2021 5:24 PM

Anyone else sad they burned Erin’s journals? They amount to what was her life’s work and would have been her sons only chance of really knowing his mother.

by Anonymousreply 222May 17, 2021 5:26 PM

That Neanderthal hairline on Dylan is disturbing and unflattering. Some soft bangs would really help.

by Anonymousreply 223May 17, 2021 5:30 PM

Dylan’s hair is the most appropriate male hairstyle for the region on this show, the irony is it’s just the actor’s regular hairstyle. I still feel really cheated we won’t see more of his gay football star loves deaf gay boy on Society. A pox on you Netflix for canceling it after renewing it. But my pox doesn’t seem necessary, they seem to be fucking things up there well enough on their own.

by Anonymousreply 224May 17, 2021 5:36 PM

Seems like Frank's fiance called off the wedding?

by Anonymousreply 225May 17, 2021 5:56 PM

Would you marry into that family?

by Anonymousreply 226May 17, 2021 6:00 PM

Maybe Frank's fiancée is the woman Lori's husband is seeing again? Idk their connection with Erin's death.

by Anonymousreply 227May 17, 2021 6:01 PM

My guess is that everyone in town is related and Mare's her own grandma.

by Anonymousreply 228May 17, 2021 6:04 PM

Why burn the journals?

by Anonymousreply 229May 17, 2021 6:12 PM

Erin's writing skills were so terrible that the gang of Grammar Nazis had to torch the journals.

by Anonymousreply 230May 17, 2021 6:14 PM

R229 I’m wondering if Dylan had her dealing drugs or turning tricks for money. He turned out to be an even bigger piece of shit then originally thought, and palming that ear operation money fund from a dead girl was really low.

by Anonymousreply 231May 17, 2021 6:15 PM

This is the most absorbing HBO detective show since True Detective I.

by Anonymousreply 232May 17, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote]The writing and casting of Dylan as the “hot teenage boy who is actually ugly, stupid and annoying but all the girls want to fuck him anyway because there’s like 4 other options in a 50km radius” is so utterly on point.

It's amazing what passes for "hot" in a small town where options are few and far between.

by Anonymousreply 233May 17, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote]Would you marry into that family?

Anybody with any sense would run away screaming from that family.

by Anonymousreply 234May 17, 2021 6:36 PM

Will we see a mother and daughter reunion with Dawn and Katie, or is there not enough time with all that we need to get through?

by Anonymousreply 235May 17, 2021 6:42 PM

R235 Maybe they'll reunite at Zabel's funeral to save time!

R232 Yep. I was craving more HBO detective dramas after re-watching the first four episodes this weekend and I made the mistake of watching The Outsider, lord, that was NOT a good decision. Although, I was surprised to realize that Lori is played by the same actress who played Glory Maitland (I wasn't familiar with Julianne Nicholson at all). She's hard to recognize when she isn't shrieking at everyone and she has bangs.

by Anonymousreply 236May 17, 2021 7:05 PM

The Outsider was WAY too long. Yet another limited series that should've been a two-hour movie.

by Anonymousreply 237May 17, 2021 7:21 PM

The Outsider started off pretty good, but when they introduced La Cuckoo I checked out.

by Anonymousreply 238May 17, 2021 7:25 PM

Bow down to Julianne Nicholson, bitches, she is the long time contented wife of Jonathan Cake!

by Anonymousreply 239May 17, 2021 10:10 PM

Anyone with any sense in that town would be a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 240May 17, 2021 10:10 PM

Siobhan has a sex scene in a car coming up, as per the actresses interviews. I wonder if it will be with a guy or a girl?

by Anonymousreply 241May 17, 2021 10:29 PM

^^^ It's probably with her hair clippers.

by Anonymousreply 242May 17, 2021 10:45 PM

If the father of Erin's baby were her father's cousin, wouldn't the genetic link show up on the paternity test?

by Anonymousreply 243May 17, 2021 11:03 PM

yes

by Anonymousreply 244May 17, 2021 11:05 PM

I love Kate Winslet’s relationship with that little boy who plays her grandson.

She’s like 100x better with children than Julianne Moore was in The Hours!

by Anonymousreply 245May 17, 2021 11:05 PM

Seriously, R245?

by Anonymousreply 246May 17, 2021 11:12 PM

Why didn't the girls trapped in the tavern's secret room tap out loudly on the pipes the S-O-S Morse code pattern (three dots, three dashes, three dots)? Everyone knows it, and Mare and Colin would have known much sooner they were in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 247May 17, 2021 11:14 PM

[quote] She’s like 100x better with children than Julianne Moore was in The Hours!

Part of the point of Julianne Moore's character in "The Hours" was that she was awkward with her own child--she was not a natural mother.

by Anonymousreply 248May 17, 2021 11:15 PM

“I had an affair…with Helen Fahey.”

Best moment in the series!

by Anonymousreply 249May 17, 2021 11:19 PM

I had no idea who Helen Fahey was at first. He should have added, "Played by Jean Smart."

by Anonymousreply 250May 17, 2021 11:21 PM

Seriously, R246?

by Anonymousreply 251May 17, 2021 11:22 PM

^^ooops "Seriously, R247"

by Anonymousreply 252May 17, 2021 11:25 PM

The bigger question is why didn't the enslaved girls scream out bloody murder instead of just clanging on the pipes??

by Anonymousreply 253May 17, 2021 11:28 PM

R241 Take a wild fucking guess

by Anonymousreply 254May 17, 2021 11:37 PM

The name "Siobhan" is obnoxious. Why's it pronounced Shavonne and not See-ob-han?

by Anonymousreply 255May 17, 2021 11:39 PM

R239, LUCKY BITCH. Jonathan Cake is the textbook definition of BDF and BDE.

by Anonymousreply 256May 17, 2021 11:42 PM

R255 ask the Irish

by Anonymousreply 257May 17, 2021 11:43 PM

If Siobhan rhymes with Lavonne, then Lavonne should be spelled Lobhan.

by Anonymousreply 258May 17, 2021 11:47 PM

role of siobhan is pathetic on this show.. her role is only being a lesbian of course with a black girl , who else

by Anonymousreply 259May 17, 2021 11:49 PM

You have a cloistered and parochial little mind, don't you, R255? You'll lose your mind over Saoirse.

by Anonymousreply 260May 17, 2021 11:51 PM

Did the perp blow off Colin's head? Looked like it to me.

by Anonymousreply 261May 17, 2021 11:54 PM

R209, the scene when they’re all eating pizza and Helen is going on about how maybe Betty was scared by small woodland animal or something - the look Mare gives Lore is so hilarious! I think they cut away from that stuff too quickly in the edit because I keep rewinding to watch it over and over again. It’s hilarious.

My people are from PA - SW instead of SE but it still resonates. Cracks me up.

They have to do another season of this. I’m pretty sure Winslet said she wants to do it - why wouldn’t she? I expect they’ll announce it right after the finale.

by Anonymousreply 262May 17, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote]cloistered and parochial

lol I don't know what those words mean.

by Anonymousreply 263May 17, 2021 11:58 PM

R255, it’s almost as annoying as Niamh being pronounced Neve.

by Anonymousreply 264May 18, 2021 12:09 AM

I spent years shitting all over Evan Peters, but between this and WandaVision, I’m officially a fan. He’s not the most handsome guy out there, but he’s pretty damn charismatic. I hate to see his character go, but I’m so glad I was able to avoid spoilers...it was a complete shock.

[quote] So we're sure Zabel is dead? I can't recall if his eyes were closed or open when Mare came back to grab his gun and kill the serial kidnapper/rapist.

Um, did you not see his head JFK all over the place? The spray of blood coming from the back of his head was pretty telling.

by Anonymousreply 265May 18, 2021 12:19 AM

There are just too many characters. When Phyllis Somerville was killed, my husband insisted it was cancer lady; once we established it wasn’t, we couldn’t remember what PS was doing in the series in the first place. And then Downs girl’s cafeteria drama—what’s the point of her again? R250 has a point.

by Anonymousreply 266May 18, 2021 12:29 AM

Do people usually get cut and killed by their airbag when they crash? Was Phyllis Somerville murdered?

by Anonymousreply 267May 18, 2021 12:40 AM

I thought it was Dawn who died too, until I realized it was peeping Tom woman.

The point of Down Syndrome girl was to raise suspicion that Lori’s husband was molesting the son. At some point it became clear Kenny was physically abusive, and Billy is likely the father of Erin’s baby, so the son violently lashing out foreshadowed sexual abuse. Fortunately it was a red herring and he just had knowledge his father was cheating on his mom.

I don’t think there are too many characters per see, but the desire to jam each episode with plot twists has made it necessary to abandon interesting plots (Frank having an affair with Erin, the peeping Tom, Richard’s storyline). Meanwhile, this latest episode introduces an entirely new plot that involves Erin’s friend lying about the journals and Dylan disappearing the night of Erin’s murder.

This show definitely takes the crown from It’s a Sin as my favorite show of 2021. Kate Winslet is a gift....she should be an example to her peers of what you can accomplish when you aren’t consumed by vanity. So fucking tired of Nicole Kidman playing the mother of young children, while Kate’s like, “Sure, I’ll play a grandmother and not wear makeup.”

by Anonymousreply 268May 18, 2021 12:51 AM

Did the ferret-looking prowler cause Phyllis' fatal car crash? Maybe Helen is on to something with her "woodland animals" quips. Only other reasons for that accident scene were to (a) create a power outage and (b) set-up the wake luncheon revelation of Helen's fling with the dead woman's husband. What are we missing?

by Anonymousreply 269May 18, 2021 12:55 AM

That kid is a pretty good actor to be able to play a sweet gay jock on The Society and a total straight douche on MARE.

by Anonymousreply 270May 18, 2021 1:16 AM

How will Guy Pearce be reintroduced into the story? I can't even remember what his character was up to the last time we saw him.

by Anonymousreply 271May 18, 2021 2:41 AM

r265 I didn't recall any parts of his head missing, and blood splatter that hits the wall behind you can come from other parts of the body (namely the chest). No need to be bitchy. The words "I can't recall if his eyes were closed or open" in my post should tip you off that I couldn't remember, but I certainly didn't recall half his head blown away. Like I said, blood splatter from a gunshot can happen from other GSW besides head-related.

by Anonymousreply 272May 18, 2021 2:56 AM

That business when Mare is about to go out with Zabel, and her mother wants to know why she isn't wearing the red dress with the thing.

"it wasn't working."

"Oh, in that case, you look great."

That's when I cracked up laughing. Jean Smart has timing.

by Anonymousreply 273May 18, 2021 3:31 AM

R271 From last week’s preview, Richard shows up with an impromptu picnic, including wine, most likely to distract her from just having lost her partner and having him Kennedied all over the kidnapper’s house. I wonder if Kabel would have been more happier about the date, had he known he was chosen over another man who asked first? Kabel in heaven knows, so there that.

by Anonymousreply 274May 18, 2021 4:31 AM

Anyone else distracted by the beauty of Evan Peters Adam’s apple?

by Anonymousreply 275May 18, 2021 4:33 AM

No but I did notice pock marks on his temple.

He's cute. Is he still dating the girl who beat him up a couple of times?

by Anonymousreply 276May 18, 2021 4:39 AM

R276 No, luckily he got away just in time before she got knocked up by another actor who’s life she’s ruined and he went from a very handsome man to a wrecked shell of a man. And may or may not be dieing.

by Anonymousreply 277May 18, 2021 4:50 AM

I'm confused. So the old guy was the prowler? Or just mistaken for him? He's the same guy Mare drives by and sees in the first episode?

by Anonymousreply 278May 18, 2021 4:58 AM

Perhaps dead Betty’s husband wasn’t the only one having an affair, but she had dementia too and dementia old guy was her secret boyfriend, but by the time he left she’d forget and think he was a prowler.

by Anonymousreply 279May 18, 2021 5:03 AM

I assumed Phyllis Somerville’s car crash was just a way to quickly write out the character before Ms Somerville’s real-life sickness & death? It felt like a way to tie up a loose end.

by Anonymousreply 280May 18, 2021 5:05 AM

It's a good show. Great writing. Great performances.

by Anonymousreply 281May 18, 2021 5:20 AM

I really do wonder how this show came together. On paper it would've seemed a bit formulaic (as the recent SNL skit spoofing it highlights). However, the cast--even the unknown child actors--has made the show riveting.

As for Kate, it's impressive how the few times she slums it on TV, she hits the ball out of the park (Extras, Mildred Pierce, Mare of Easttown).

by Anonymousreply 282May 18, 2021 1:27 PM

I loved Drew in his pajamas doing that funny ass dance before being swept off to bed, seemed like a real four year old and despite the grim things going on around him he has a joyous life.

by Anonymousreply 283May 18, 2021 1:47 PM

I was concerned he was possessed by Pazuzu at first.

by Anonymousreply 284May 18, 2021 3:41 PM

OK. Two more episodes to go. So I'll say it now: Billy is the baby daddy. He fucked his under aged niece.... either her father found out she was a prostitute and killed her, or Billy killed her when she attempted to blackmail him for her son's operation money. Dylan is shady, and he is my third candidate for killer....except he is a punk assed coward and probably wanted to burn the journals because he was afraid Erin would have implicated him in some kind of drug shit. Oh. I bet Frank knew Billy was the father and that's why he tried to help Erin.

by Anonymousreply 285May 18, 2021 5:11 PM

It was Betty Carroll who died in the car crash, not Phyllis Somerville.

That's what wikipedia says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286May 18, 2021 5:31 PM

How realistic is it that a "town without pity" like Easttown, chock full of bullies, misogynists, mean girls and other assorted small-minded types, would be so tolerant of Siobhan's lesbianism?

Might Erin's killer be a woman? Detective Sheehan's cool, calm and collected daughter was among the last to see Erin that night. Repressed rage, anyone?

Just found an extra $.02 in the sofa cushions.

by Anonymousreply 287May 18, 2021 5:37 PM

R285 Yes, everything is pointing to Billy. Which is why I think it may not be... if it is, so be it. The quality of the show isn't the plot and whodunnit, but all the details along the way.

For a surprise ending I'd go for Frank's fiancé, or for the cousin Priest. (but we'd need to get a few more clues in episode 6 for not to be stupid, off the wall revelation...)

by Anonymousreply 288May 18, 2021 5:45 PM

Dylan probably told Erin he would help her pay for the operation (believing the kid was his) if she helped him sell drugs. Or: Maybe Dylan was her pimp and got a cut from her earnings. Jess knew all of this.

by Anonymousreply 289May 18, 2021 5:48 PM

You had your chance to get some of that hot, young Zabel dick, Mare. You waited too long.

by Anonymousreply 290May 18, 2021 5:53 PM

The part of Betty Caroll is played by the actress Phyllis Somerville, r286.

by Anonymousreply 291May 18, 2021 5:59 PM

I've asked a few times. Who was on the video surveillance in the back yard, and Mare erases it?

by Anonymousreply 292May 18, 2021 6:07 PM

It feel likes the only one who hasn't seemed suspicious is Lori. Which is suspicious! Could there be a "Presumed Innocent"-esque twist? It's odd that Nicholson has 2nd billing with very little screen time so far.

by Anonymousreply 293May 18, 2021 6:13 PM

With Lori’s husband moving out and Zabel dead I think Mare and Lori will realize they are their own best mates and should just spend the rest of their years as the lesbian power couple of Easttown.

by Anonymousreply 294May 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Mare didn't like Zabel that way. Did she?

by Anonymousreply 295May 18, 2021 6:30 PM

I don't think Mare let herself even think about liking Zabel. She's grown accustomed to her life being a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 296May 18, 2021 6:31 PM

R287 I went to a shitty town in the early 2000s. Not quite as shitty as Easttown. The only out kid (not me) was the son of a cop. He was left alone.

by Anonymousreply 297May 18, 2021 6:33 PM

Thank, R297. I thought Mare might be Siobhan's built-in shield, but half the town's miscreants dislike Mare and aren't afraid to taunt (if not downright attack) their Lady Hawk.

I wonder who tormented Siobhan--the smart, protective, studious, goal-oriented "outsider?" She shares these traits with the troubled young Ryan Ross.

Now, having spent my loose change above, I'm chasing wild geese.

by Anonymousreply 298May 18, 2021 6:49 PM

Total truth, I interviewed about a decade ago for a position at the actual Easttown Public Library, as many know it’s more of an upscale Philly bedroom community (Main Line Lite) then the hard scrabble town portrayed here. It was, hands down, one of the worst interviews, they had a list of 100 plus questions that they felt the need to regimentally march through, even when I has answered the question through an earlier answer. It was the never ending interview that I just wanted to stop.

by Anonymousreply 299May 18, 2021 6:49 PM

Mare would’ve broken Zabel in two. He was wowed by the sight of her in a cardigan. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 300May 18, 2021 6:50 PM

Siobhan does go to a private school, which are much more supportive of LGBTQ+ students then going to Easttown high school.

by Anonymousreply 301May 18, 2021 6:53 PM

Both Betty and Phyllis are dead, what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 302May 18, 2021 7:17 PM

R293 Julianne Nicholson and Kate Winslet are very close friends. In fact Jonathan Cake is godfather to Winslet’s son. That may be who Nicholson gets second billing.

by Anonymousreply 303May 18, 2021 7:43 PM

God if this is how close Winslet keeps her friends, I can’t imagine what she does with her enemies?

by Anonymousreply 304May 18, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote] It was, hands down, one of the worst interviews, they had a list of 100 plus questions that they felt the need to regimentally march through, even when I has answered the question through an earlier answer. It was the never ending interview that I just wanted to stop.

It's probably good ultimately you didn't get the job then. You likely would have been miserable working there.

When the interview is chaotic and poorly executed, it's almost always a sure sign that the people you would be working for don't have their act together.

by Anonymousreply 305May 18, 2021 7:47 PM

Yes, r305, but think of all the good meth he missed out on!

by Anonymousreply 306May 18, 2021 7:48 PM

I wasn’t expecting the abrupt ending to Zabel. This show seems to have a few red herrings thrown in to cast doubt on certain people. The Billy theory is plausible, but seems too obvious at this point.

by Anonymousreply 307May 18, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote]How realistic is it that a "town without pity" like Easttown, chock full of bullies, misogynists, mean girls and other assorted small-minded types, would be so tolerant of Siobhan's lesbianism?

They are also painting it as a town where everyone knows each other and support each other, many are related to each other in some way be it by blood or just through relationship. Siobhan is the police chief's kid, you wanna fuck with that?

by Anonymousreply 308May 18, 2021 8:08 PM

R308 Mare isn't the police chief...

by Anonymousreply 309May 18, 2021 8:09 PM

We went from Enter Number Two to Exit Number Two in a Bodybag.

by Anonymousreply 310May 18, 2021 8:12 PM

Right, police Sargent.

by Anonymousreply 311May 18, 2021 8:12 PM

Right, Mare the basketball legend. Another thing that went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 312May 18, 2021 8:38 PM

Billy left his beer bottle behind when he abruptly left. Mare was eyeing it, I hope for his DNA.

by Anonymousreply 313May 18, 2021 9:28 PM

Nothing escapes your eye, clever Sherlock, you, R313

by Anonymousreply 314May 18, 2021 9:32 PM

Do you even watch the show, R311?

by Anonymousreply 315May 18, 2021 9:36 PM

If Lori's husband is diddling their Down's daughter, I'm cancelling HBO.

by Anonymousreply 316May 18, 2021 10:58 PM

Oh, gross, R316. That's somehow even worse than the son (which would've been bad enough). But now that I think of it, they have kind of gone out of the way to sexualize Down Syndrome girl.

by Anonymousreply 317May 18, 2021 11:05 PM

Lori asked her son "Is he doing it again?" and then asked "Is it with the same woman as last time?". Ryan shook his head to indicate yes. There is no molestation coming up, that I can see.

by Anonymousreply 318May 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Good point, R318...emphasis on woman.

by Anonymousreply 319May 18, 2021 11:12 PM

R318 yeah the way she asked him SCREAMED molestation. But apparently he's just a ho

by Anonymousreply 320May 18, 2021 11:39 PM

So, is John Ross going to go live with Billy, possibly stumbling on some key information or might he go live with “that woman,” and who might that be? Could it be Dawn? Jess’ mom? Mare’s ex husband’s fiancée? It’s got be be someone we’ve met right?

by Anonymousreply 321May 18, 2021 11:46 PM

Probably not the mother of Jess, r321. She wouldn't have taken Jess to Lori with the information on Erin had she been the other woman. But I agree, it's someone we have met. I say the fiancée who failed to show for the reception hall appointment.

by Anonymousreply 322May 18, 2021 11:57 PM

How can he might go living with Mare’s ex husband’s fiancée? She lives with Frank probably

by Anonymousreply 323May 19, 2021 12:02 AM

[quote]So, is John Ross going to go live with Billy

It looks like he's at his dad's house in the trailer for next week's ep. And his dad seems to have info on Billy and Erin, as someone mentioned upthread a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 324May 19, 2021 12:10 AM

Why does Guy Pearce have such a small role? That's suspicious. He's the second biggest star after Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 325May 19, 2021 12:17 AM

Because he’s the killer, R325. Murder Mysteries 101 - the heroine falls for the murderer, who suspiciously is seen very little throughout the middle of the movie, series, etc.

by Anonymousreply 326May 19, 2021 12:21 AM

I don't think Billy has uttered more than 3 full sentences in 5 episodes. I'll be rather disappointed if such an underdeveloped character is Erin's killer.

by Anonymousreply 327May 19, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote] How realistic is it that a "town without pity" like Easttown, chock full of bullies, misogynists, mean girls and other assorted small-minded types, would be so tolerant of Siobhan's lesbianism?

I assume that's at least part of why Mare is sending her to private school, where lesbianism would be much more greatly tolerated than at the Easttown public high school.

by Anonymousreply 328May 19, 2021 1:27 AM

Have they established yet if Mare's real name is "Mary"?

It would be distubrbng to me if Helen had named her "Mare" as her full name.

by Anonymousreply 329May 19, 2021 1:28 AM

I think her mother called her Mary Ann or Marianne in anger at one point in the series.

by Anonymousreply 330May 19, 2021 1:32 AM

The misdirection on child molestation was a very cheap shot to the viewers. Maudlin manipulation of us.. The show creator failed, there.

by Anonymousreply 331May 19, 2021 1:34 AM

Would Billy be clever enough to leave the open bottle there for the detective-in-law to absolve him from Erin's demise? We're looking at the wrong brother methinks.

by Anonymousreply 332May 19, 2021 2:09 AM

R293 - I agree; I have been thinking of Lori as the killer since before the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 333May 19, 2021 2:35 AM

I watch the show with closed captioning on, and in anger Helen called Mare “Marianne.”

by Anonymousreply 334May 19, 2021 2:50 AM

I posted up thread - that Mare (and the story) has an issue to resolve. She stole evidence to plant it for a fake charge - all as an attempt to resolve a personal need or desire. That's kind of serious. She was put on administrative leave (albeit as leave to work out her grief). While "on leave" she disobeyed clear directives and continued on the case, to the point where she initiated questioning at a perp's house that resulted in the death of a fellow officer. She is in deeper shit now, no?

How does this resolve in two episodes? It's a detective series, but now the main character/detective shouldn't be anywhere near the investigation, nor solve the case. If anything she should be charged with something. It'll be interesting to see how the writers bring this to a landing.

by Anonymousreply 335May 19, 2021 2:51 AM

I love this show but will still nitpick it. There are too many characters for the length. Three brown-haired bearded dudes in flannel who are all possible suspects. I had to backtrack and rewatch to keep track of who’s who. Also agree with the up thread comments about Siobann killing the shows vibe whenever she's on. Unless the documentary she's producing will lead to some revelation, her character has no point. I doubt she's the killer. Also distracting Is her hair style. It's a trope.

by Anonymousreply 336May 19, 2021 7:53 AM

Not realistic. No mention of the male homosex.

by Anonymousreply 337May 19, 2021 9:41 AM

Siobhan is not supposed to "fit in." That's the whole point of he character and why her new girlfriend wants her to leave. Break away. I mean look at the girls who are around the same age. That town doesn't have a lot to offer...unless she sets up a website to turn tricks.

by Anonymousreply 338May 19, 2021 1:04 PM

It's a good series. Well done, well written, inclusive, gripping, suspenseful and thoughtful.

by Anonymousreply 339May 19, 2021 1:07 PM

I went back and watched the first 2 episodes again and there are a number of unresolved moments presented without explanation.

When Mare breaks the news about the dead daughter, Kenny and John almost break into a fight over something. This will surely have great meaning later.

by Anonymousreply 340May 19, 2021 1:24 PM

Are there ZERO abortion clinics in Pennsylvania? For the price of one ear surgery (probably less), Erin could have saved herself a world of misery. Drew’s junkie mom, too.

For fucks sake, when I was a teenager, you got an abortion!

by Anonymousreply 341May 19, 2021 2:07 PM

R341, poor women squeeze out lots of kids for the govt checks!

by Anonymousreply 342May 19, 2021 2:09 PM

R341 Yes, getting an abortion would be logical. HOWEVER, I'd argue that Erin kept the baby because she thought it would bring her unconditional love, which is something she clearly didn't have in her life after her mother died.

by Anonymousreply 343May 19, 2021 2:12 PM

The shot when Mare and Zabel were talking to the man in his doorway that pulled back to reveal the bar where there kidnapped girls were being held was terrific. And the tension that built in the scene that followed was excellent!

by Anonymousreply 344May 19, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote]"Mare the basketball legend. Another thing that went nowhere."

Were you not listening to what Mare said in this episode to Zabel, about how past victories become burdensome expectations? That basketball victory is an integral part of her place in the town and her behavior

by Anonymousreply 345May 19, 2021 2:57 PM

R345 Agreed. As well as give some background to her relationship with Lori and the cancer lady. Small town, longtime history, everyone know everyone.

I do think Siobhan and her video will have some significance and role in solving the murder. Her comment about Mare "... whatever you expect you will be disappointed"

by Anonymousreply 346May 19, 2021 3:11 PM

It's becoming more apparent that a star of Guy Pearce's calibre is going to turn out to be the killer.

by Anonymousreply 347May 19, 2021 3:19 PM

R13 I agree. She is too dumpy and cunty for me to believe those dudes chasing after her. Maybe if they had dolled her up a bit to brassy whore status, with big 80’s hair, makeup and a push up bra, I might believe it.

by Anonymousreply 348May 19, 2021 3:30 PM

Well, R13 and R348, maybe that's the point. She is told she is beautiful o petty, but she seems not to care how she looks and almost deliberately de-sexualizes herself, does not want to look even marginally nice. She goes beyond plain to downright gross, but in reality, she can look very attractive. A standout in a town where no one stands out, everyone dresses down. Her look, the way she presents, with her lumberjack clothing, her disheveled appearance is her shield, her camouflage. Now contrast that with her daughter, the lesbian, who is very pretty and likes to look pretty....

by Anonymousreply 349May 19, 2021 3:41 PM

R341 - check out last year's excellent indie film, Never Rarely Sometimes Always for what a young teenage girl goes through to get an abortion in PA. (It's a brilliant film.)

None of my relatives in PA believe in abortion. My cousin's daughter just got pregnant and married at 19. Never been anywhere in the world other than PA. A lot of young single mothers; one of my cousins raised her ex-husband's son from his 1st marriage after they divorced and that son is still in the family, more or less "adopted" by his stepmother (even though his own parents are still alive). So Dylan's parents feeling compelled to care for DJ (or, before other events took hold this week, possibly by Lore and her husband) really rings true. They don't want to abandon their kin - however distant - to the foster care system.

by Anonymousreply 350May 19, 2021 5:19 PM

R350 Never Rarely Sometimes Always was a brilliant film. Reminded me of classic New York "new wave" films of the 60s and 70s. Absolutely captures the community vibe that Mare of Easttown is going for. Surprised it didn't get more recognition last year.

by Anonymousreply 351May 19, 2021 5:35 PM

I'm only on episode 4 but great cast so far. I really liked the young actress playing Erin. She didn't have many lines, but she really sold me on being a struggling lonely young mom desperate for love and I really believed she loved her baby and wanted to be good to him. It was necessary because I really care who killed her now. She deserved better, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 352May 19, 2021 6:31 PM

This DL discussion has hyped the quality beyond what is there. The more we praise it the more I see its flaws. Its fine. But.its quite thirsty as a production and slavishly imitates the European models. And can we rein in the hyperbole about Peters brilliant performance? Its good as well, but is it Eve Harrington revelatory! Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 353May 19, 2021 8:14 PM

R349 Great observation. Except that Kate Winslet is too ordinary looking to pull this off. Mare has a terrible personality. In order for men to chase after her she would have to be attractive even without makeup and nice clothing. She is just too basic for me to believe Evan Peters would ever want her, unless he had serious mommy issues, or was bearding Hugh Jackman style. They dressed her like a butch lesbian with a plaid fetish. And I agree with R13 that Guy Pearce’s character is up to something.

by Anonymousreply 354May 19, 2021 8:14 PM

We should always defer to gay men in determining what straight men would find appealing in a woman.

by Anonymousreply 355May 19, 2021 8:16 PM

I wish there were some straight guys on this thread to weigh in on Kate Winslet's supposed lack of sexuality and beauty. I think you bitches would all be quite startled.

by Anonymousreply 356May 19, 2021 8:17 PM

It seems that Winslet has stacked the cast with her friends, so Guy MIGHT be the killer, might not.

by Anonymousreply 357May 19, 2021 8:18 PM

R355 sounds like a fat frau. I’m gay. Not blind. I can see that Kate is plain. It ins’t like Hollywood has ever sold her as some bombshell or femme-fatal. The most attractive I have ever seen her was in Titanic. She isn’t an uggo, but she is not attractive enough for me to believe that Evan’s character would be hot for her as Mare. Nope.

by Anonymousreply 358May 19, 2021 8:21 PM

I have built up scenarios and I am probably making this more complex than it really is. I did the same back in the day with True Detective - whoa! The shit I came up with and then - BOOM - it was over and I felt a little let down.

However, I have enjoyed Mare of Easttown more than I’ve enjoyed a show in a looong time. I won’t let my imagination make me dissatisfied with the ending.

by Anonymousreply 359May 19, 2021 8:30 PM

R359 it's my favorite detective show since True Detective 1.

by Anonymousreply 360May 19, 2021 8:42 PM

It has kept me from Vera, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 361May 19, 2021 8:57 PM

Vera has been MIA for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 362May 19, 2021 8:59 PM

[quote]None of my relatives in PA believe in abortion. My cousin's daughter just got pregnant and married at 19. Never been anywhere in the world other than PA. A lot of young single mothers; one of my cousins raised her ex-husband's son from his 1st marriage after they divorced and that son is still in the family, more or less "adopted" by his stepmother (even though his own parents are still alive). So Dylan's parents feeling compelled to care for DJ (or, before other events took hold this week, possibly by Lore and her husband) really rings true. They don't want to abandon their kin - however distant - to the foster care system.

Pretty odd that Pennsylvania, of all places, seems so insular and close-minded. Of course, these attitudes go on in large cities, but the people involved in large cosmopolitan cities don't seem this backwards, these Pennsylvanians are almost like hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 363May 19, 2021 9:05 PM

They ARE hillbillies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364May 19, 2021 9:08 PM

Straight men don't care. For guys in small shitty towns like that, they would probably fuck anything that moves.

by Anonymousreply 365May 19, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]I’m gay. Not blind. I can see that Kate is plain. It ins’t like Hollywood has ever sold her as some bombshell or femme-fatal. The most attractive I have ever seen her was in Titanic. She isn’t an uggo, but she is not attractive enough for me to believe that Evan’s character would be hot for her as Mare. Nope.

Kate isn't ugly, she's not plain at all. Even without makeup and looking like she rolled out of bed, she's still an attractive woman, she has nice features. The way some of you in this thread are going on about her looks, you'd think she looks like a troll with pus pimples on her face. Way too many think most people live in a world of Photoshop, once in awhile, step away from the internet. Those IG 'models' are all altered and so are most celebrities, they sure love those filters!

I've noticed with actresses, especially those whose career is based solely on their looks, they seem to take aging much worse than actresses who can actually act. The clone type plastic surgery then begins.

I don't get the emphasis on Kate's looks, especially for this role. The character is not supposed to be glamorous, Mare seems angry and depressed. Do any of you know people who are depressed, most don't care about their looks.

Also, why are so many here acting as if Evan's character was some Golden God! Evan is attractive in a sort of sickly rockstar way, especially those dark under eye circles and pale skin.

However, I cannot imagine many women standing in line to be with him, especially Evan as this character, an awkward grown man, a detective no less, who was still living at home with his mother?! Seriously, was he really such a catch? I could imagine his character dating the police station's secretary. Many in this thread are acting as if his character should have been dating a super model. Lmao

by Anonymousreply 366May 19, 2021 9:34 PM

R364 You do realize that your map doesn’t cover the section of the state where Easttown is located? As a former, yet still lifetime Pennsylvanian, if you erased many of the very specific regionalisms, I would have thought at first glance this was Western Pennsylvania more then Eastern.

by Anonymousreply 367May 19, 2021 9:39 PM

R366 not still, he was living with his fiance. and Marie still lives with her mother, who does her laundry so what?

by Anonymousreply 368May 19, 2021 9:40 PM

A lot of obvious middle aged fraus in this thread. I can tell by how they take offense to criticism of Winslet’s appearance. You are missing the point. She isn’t ugly. Kate Winslet is attractive. When she is in films like The Holiday, or in her actual life. As the character, Mare, she isn’t. Awful personality, dumpy haggard appearance, walks and sits like a lesbian, dresses like a slob..... there is nothing attractive about her.

by Anonymousreply 369May 19, 2021 9:46 PM

R367 here, just to clarify, this fits more into the ethos of the rust belt mythology seen in such films as All the Right Moves, The Deer Hunter and states adjacent Reckless that define Western Pennsylvania much more then Eastern Pennsylvania, which has been shown much more agriculturally in movies like Witness and At Close Range.

by Anonymousreply 370May 19, 2021 9:52 PM

Outside of Philly and the other cities, Pennsylvania is Pennsyltucky

by Anonymousreply 371May 19, 2021 9:58 PM

The main thing that is off for me is Winslet's performance which comes across like imitation more than embodiment, and the imitation it not great.

In talking about Colin's case and how he solved it he mentions that there was one detail that was overlooked and that detail lead to solving the whole case. With Mare's case it will come down to the same thing, the detail being the baby's DNA test. They tested the DNA for a match for Dylan and for Frank but never did a deep dive into the baby's DNA on it's own which will probably show that his father is a blood relative.

by Anonymousreply 372May 19, 2021 10:25 PM

the catholic church is featured promptly in this. How can the major twist be sexual abuse of boy by priests?

by Anonymousreply 373May 20, 2021 1:01 AM

The breadcrumbs are all there the showrunner says.... Hannibal Lecter asks Clarice, "what does this guy do? This guy you seek?".... I'm thinking it's the priest, Mare's cousin. He seeks validation as a priest. The deviant fuck

by Anonymousreply 374May 20, 2021 1:15 AM

Thank God Evan Peters’ character died before we had to endure him licking Mare’s hairy fish.

by Anonymousreply 375May 20, 2021 2:27 AM

I really don't get y'all saying KW looks like trash here -- I think it's interesting and different that she doesn't, that it's not an aggressive "de-glam" (like say what Kidman was going for in that movie Destroyer). I think the show allows Mare to look pretty when she cleans up for her dates, even if her outfits stay within her class and location. She's just depressed mostly, and that translates to the way she carries herself most of the time.

And anybody arguing that Kate Winslet isn't movie star gorgeous is bizarre and probably prone to thinking the blandest Ken and Barbies are the cream of the crop. She's got absolutely stunning features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376May 20, 2021 3:51 AM

Say what you will about Winslet’s attractiveness, nevertheless she is still the titular character!

by Anonymousreply 377May 20, 2021 4:23 AM

Mare of Easttown? Should've cast SJP instead. With Kate, this show is more like Sow of Easttown, no?

by Anonymousreply 378May 20, 2021 4:35 AM

Of course Winslet possesses beauty - that is evident from her first feature film, Heavenly Creatures, and at its apex with Titanic. But she’s so much more than that.

She can afford to not wear make up, etc. (aside from what is required) because she has such great bone structure and strong features. It’s what was so amazing about Ammonite. Kate is a fantastic actress - which is what makes this show so compelling - because whether she’s doing a set dance with David Harbour in Revolutionary Road or digging up artefacts on the beach in Ammonite, she’s always navigating and revealing a drama in her eyes. She’s amazing.

This series has had me revisiting her film career a bit between episodes, like Steve Jobs. I may even watch Titanic for the 1st time since I 1st saw it in 1997. I’m just enthralled by her. I admit it.

by Anonymousreply 379May 20, 2021 7:34 AM

I love her in Revolution Road, it shows off her timeless and classic beauty.

by Anonymousreply 380May 20, 2021 7:54 AM

Agree with R366. A lot of posters seem to think his attraction to her was physical - it seems obvious to me he admired her for intelligence and abilities. It was also more about where he was at - stuck at home, living with his mother, his greatest professional achievement was handed to him by someone else. He admired her energy, drive and commitment to their profession. Plus, Mare is funny, in a deadpan way, and challenging.

Posters are looking at this like he knew what he was doing, pursuing Mare - when the whole point was that he didn’t know what he was doing at all. That was part of his appeal as a character, and his sweetness. It gave him a kind of poignancy.

In her personal life, Mare didn’t know what she was doing either. But she’d already been with Richard and was probably flattered by Colin’s attention enough to at least give it a try.

I had no idea that Colin was going to die (I don’t watch previews and even on this thread, avoid the fan boy speculation) but when he kissed Mare, I could understand why the writers went there - it furthered a sense of possibility in their relationship and revealed to us that Colin had ambitions for himself, on a personal as well as professional level. It drew me further into it.

There’s obviously going to be a lot of details that will remain unresolved, in regards to the mystery genre. But I think the writers are aiming to present a detailed fabric of an entire community; some of it has been positioned as red herring tropes which is too bad because I think they could’ve gone deeper than that and maybe trusted themselves more. But it’s still been very satisfying to watch and I would love to see a Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 381May 20, 2021 7:55 AM

Also, I have a cousin in PA who did several tours of duty in Afghanistan and he came back from his service built like a brick shithouse - he was ripped and gorgeous (but not vain about it in any way). He did not start dating a super model as some on this thread would have it. He started dating a somewhat average though really sweet girl to whom he is now married and has a family with. And while he’s not overweight, he did let his ripped body go and now he’s just a skinny guy again. That’s PA.

by Anonymousreply 382May 20, 2021 8:02 AM

R354 You’re an ass. Winslet has never been ordinary looking.

by Anonymousreply 383May 20, 2021 8:43 AM

Since when are men attracted to “intelligence”?

by Anonymousreply 384May 20, 2021 11:13 AM

Absolutely right, r379. What will any of us on this thread have to talk about when this series is over? Not much; there isn't anything like it.

We have slipped into Mare's life as we would a pair of our most comfortable old shoes, because Kate Winslet has taken us there. She's a damn fine actress.

by Anonymousreply 385May 20, 2021 12:18 PM

LOVING the series and looking forward to bingeing it all again once it's over.

by Anonymousreply 386May 20, 2021 1:07 PM

Guy Pearce's character may indeed be the killer but some of you are overestimating his "movie star" credentials. It isn't exactly like Brad Pitt took a role in an HBO limited series.

by Anonymousreply 387May 20, 2021 1:36 PM

Does anyone think Leo will make an appearance before the end of the series?

by Anonymousreply 388May 20, 2021 1:39 PM

R387 Yeah, I don't get the "he's a star and so he's gotta be the killer!" thinking. Initially my reaction was, "Guy who?"

by Anonymousreply 389May 20, 2021 3:45 PM

[quote] For fucks sake, when I was a teenager, you got an abortion!

Not everywhere. Erin might have been Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 390May 20, 2021 3:47 PM

Winslet isn't winning anything unless we see her TAKE a number two.

by Anonymousreply 391May 20, 2021 3:58 PM

Abortions in blue-collar Pennsylvania (esp. Catholic) probably more the exception than the rule.

I think we have to accept the story they're telling, whether or not we agree with the way they're telling it. Otherwise, go watch a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 392May 20, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote]Are there ZERO abortion clinics in Pennsylvania? For the price of one ear surgery (probably less), Erin could have saved herself a world of misery. Drew’s junkie mom, too.

This takes me back to the great DL Mad Men-Norwegian Catholic debate.

by Anonymousreply 393May 20, 2021 4:07 PM

I grew up in the south in the 80s, and many of the girls at the local Catholic high school had abortions.

Pennsylvania culture is different, though. Maybe they don’t think a teen birth ruins your life.

by Anonymousreply 394May 20, 2021 4:12 PM

The weird thing about Guy Pearce's casting is how low his billing is; well below Evan Peters, the kids and various bearded men.

by Anonymousreply 395May 20, 2021 4:49 PM

Is Mare really a name in USA? No one asks any questions when she introduces herself as Mare, so I guess it is.

by Anonymousreply 396May 20, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote] The weird thing about Guy Pearce's casting is how low his billing is

I have been a fan of his since LA Confidential and Priscilla, but except for Mildred Pearce I don't really remember seeing him in anything. He's not A list.

by Anonymousreply 397May 20, 2021 5:04 PM

R396 Absolutely. Although when saying "Mare" foe Mary, or Marianne... I never visualize it as Mare. I'd say "mare", but see it just as short for Mary, so I guess I'd see it as Mar'...thought the phonics of that is a problem.

Is DL over-scrutinizing this cable limited series. Of course. But I do like seeing all the ideas and responses.. and have it strung out week to week, not after-the-fact after binge watching the whole thing.

The cousin Priest did it.

by Anonymousreply 398May 20, 2021 5:05 PM

Why didn't those two girls scream or anything. Just bang on pipes? The one said the creep ties her and gags her when he has people over for poker. They weren't gaged, so why not scream? Obviously, it was to create more suspense and to have Zanele killed, but it was such a bad writing.

by Anonymousreply 399May 20, 2021 5:07 PM

Funny how in a town of, I guess, a few thousand people, all the suspects and eyewitnesses are from a small circle of people that is close to Mare.

by Anonymousreply 400May 20, 2021 5:10 PM

R13 Only a gay guy could say something as moronic as this.

by Anonymousreply 401May 20, 2021 5:11 PM

R401 but hard not to disagree. There is a pattern now in holly that they show women as uglier, not so attractive, but smart , saucy and men go over them..

by Anonymousreply 402May 20, 2021 5:22 PM

I had the opposite reaction to Mare going on a date with Zabel. What could she possibly see in him? He has awful skin that seems at times jaundiced. Huge black circles under his eyes. Pock marks. He was dumb and boring and immature.

by Anonymousreply 403May 20, 2021 5:34 PM

Well, it’s not a name, it’s a nickname. I know Rhoda called Mary “Mare” a lot, hence the “Oh Mare!” And I feel like Murray may have called her that many times as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404May 20, 2021 5:39 PM

R403 She wanted to manipulate him to keep getting information on the case. Eventually she kissed him after he confessed his feeling like a loser, he had lied about the stellar case he got credited for... she felt sorry for him, tender about his honesty. And then he died. Fun, huh?

by Anonymousreply 405May 20, 2021 5:41 PM

Mare is now......a hoagie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406May 20, 2021 6:04 PM

The banging on pipes worked for me. They had no idea who was out there, if it was help or an accomplice. If they weren't rescued, they could lie and say they didn't realize they were making noise or something. Screaming for help...kinda hard to explain away. They would've been punished.

by Anonymousreply 407May 20, 2021 6:09 PM

R402 Most straight men find Kate W. attractive and hot. That poster is delusional or purposely an idiot

by Anonymousreply 408May 20, 2021 6:28 PM

R407 Yeah, I'm sure they came up with that and discussed in those two seconds before starting hitting the pipes. They could say they didn't what they were doing? The pipe was dancing in the wall, almost broke from how hard they were hitting it. Give me a break. It was a terrible writing.

by Anonymousreply 409May 20, 2021 6:30 PM

R409, they could have honestly said they were arguing, wrestling, fighting with one another and didn't realize they wee banging the pipe and making noise.

by Anonymousreply 410May 20, 2021 6:32 PM

R410 Do you really think that is something they came up with in a second before they started hitting the pipe? Since this is the first time ever he has left them in and unchained when having people in the house. And director decided not to show us that conversation. Again, you gotta be fucking kidding me. It was a terrible writing. Just accept it

by Anonymousreply 411May 20, 2021 6:41 PM

So, where is Hillary’s body?

by Anonymousreply 412May 20, 2021 6:50 PM

Hilary?

by Anonymousreply 413May 20, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote]So, where is Hillary’s body?

It's being kept alive in an underground bunker, being pumped full of the blood of young children. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 414May 20, 2021 6:55 PM

And WHET Hillary's baby?

R413: Hillary, according to Katie, was the girl who was impregnated by the killer and who was "disappeared;" I don't remember if she gave birth during captivity.

by Anonymousreply 415May 20, 2021 6:59 PM

Oh, Right. Thx, r415.

Really, too many random characters.

by Anonymousreply 416May 20, 2021 7:03 PM

By "the killer," I meant Colin's killer @ my R415, above.

by Anonymousreply 417May 20, 2021 7:20 PM

Food for thought:

Both Mare's father and her son committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 418May 20, 2021 7:31 PM

I have a new theory: Was there a quick scene of Mare and Siobhan fighting with one another? because maybe in the course of doing her documentary about her brother, Siobhan talked to the mother of his kid, and she is tying to help the mother with the custody issue. That would send Mare around the bend. She would be incandescent with rage. After all, we see her memories of her son, being terrified of him and his junkie girlfriend, and Siobhan sees the other, opposite parts of him in her videos.

by Anonymousreply 419May 20, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]I have been a fan of his since LA Confidential and Priscilla, but except for Mildred Pearce I don't really remember seeing him in anything.

Your memory is faulty. He was also in Memento and The Time Machine, among other films.

by Anonymousreply 420May 20, 2021 8:08 PM

Anyone else notice how Mare's memory of Kevin standing over her altered? The first time he's angry and screaming how much he fucking hates her. The second time he looks more sad and is saying something like "Look at me, I'm your son."

by Anonymousreply 421May 20, 2021 8:08 PM

This series reminds me of an American Broadchurch. I really would watch another few seasons of it.

by Anonymousreply 422May 20, 2021 9:01 PM

R419 I've said a couple times on this thread... seems to me there's something going on between Siobhan and Mare... that we haven't seen yet. Or it could just be one of the plot threads that are to distract and won't be resolved.

by Anonymousreply 423May 20, 2021 9:24 PM

I'd guess that Siobhan is probably generally resentful of Mare because she was likely "neglected" as Mare was dealt with all of her son's issues. Siobhan is what, 17 or 18? So I'd guess her brother was on drugs for maybe 2-3 years before he killed himself and, as we all know, he's been dead for 4.... so this shit has been going on since Siobhan was 12-13. That's prime time for creating resentment in one child towards their parents, especially if they felt ignored or whatever. Even if they were doing well in school, friends, etc. Her son sounded like a handful even before his junkie days, so his issues probably ALWAYS got more attention, even when Siobhan was a child.

by Anonymousreply 424May 20, 2021 9:51 PM

What was the other recent detective series that had kidnapped girls screaming behind a soundproof window? And they could see the detective but the detective could only see a mirror? Gonna drive me nuts trying to remember.

by Anonymousreply 425May 20, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote] I've said a couple times on this thread... seems to me there's something going on between Siobhan and Mare... that we haven't seen yet.

Incest?

by Anonymousreply 426May 20, 2021 10:04 PM

R425 That sounds like something that might be coming up in Cruel Summer, but it’s just been speculated about.

by Anonymousreply 427May 20, 2021 10:11 PM

R425, I think you're talking about The Five, a British crime show.

by Anonymousreply 428May 20, 2021 10:29 PM

r428 that's correct, I watched that as well.

by Anonymousreply 429May 21, 2021 12:44 AM

Is this the first show Evan has been on where he hasn’t shown his delicious ass?

by Anonymousreply 430May 21, 2021 12:49 AM

Guy Pearce has done quite a bit of work in Australia over the years since LA Confidential, too, including a few seasons of an entertaining light detective series (TV) called Jack Irish.

I keep saying that a lot of Australian stars who are well known in Hollywood consider themselves to live in Australia, and they will take work here if they can get it. Rachel Griffiths has been in two Aussie TV series in the last two years - three if you count Season 2 of Total Control.

by Anonymousreply 431May 21, 2021 1:12 AM

Guy Peace is a national treasure in Australia. He was a teen star, kind of like Johnny Depp back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 432May 21, 2021 2:06 AM

R424: Your insightful character study of Siobhan has me thinking again about young Ryan Ross. Your description provides warning flag examples of how his and Siobhan's lives are near-mirror images: both are resentful of a parent; both are secondary to a "special needs" sibling; studious; neglected during puberty; etc. Neither seems to have a comfortable fit within the family dynamic. I'm probably overthinking this, but I think Ryan and Siobhan are half-brother and sister. Also, I remain curious as to what "it" was that John was doing with a woman with whom he has a history. Sexting? Drugs?

Food for thought: The dead abductor seemed to kidnap junkies only; Katie told Molly how Hillary had cared for her during withdrawal just like she was now nursing Molly through cold turkey. More drugs?

I'm drowning in the middle of a school of red herrings.

One last thing: as for the cast credits, the five star actors are listed first: Winslet, Nicholson, Smart, Rice and Peters. The co-stars are listed next, in alphabetical order. That is why Guy Pearce appears so far down the line.

by Anonymousreply 433May 21, 2021 3:34 AM

Siobhan is hot.

by Anonymousreply 434May 21, 2021 3:50 AM

R427 Why would be incest coming up in Cruel Summer? Between whom?

by Anonymousreply 435May 21, 2021 3:52 AM

The scene where Mare has killed the creep and the cops are finally there; she has lost a fair amount of blood. She closed her eyes and thought of her son at a younger age, celebrating his birthday on a beach.

It seemed as though she thought she was dying, and her last thoughts were of Kevin.

That means something, but I don't know what.

by Anonymousreply 436May 21, 2021 4:09 AM

R436 That she is a mother that misses her dead child, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 437May 21, 2021 8:19 AM

Who are you people who ponder, so elaborately, TV plots?

by Anonymousreply 438May 21, 2021 8:32 AM

[quote] We should always defer to gay men in determining what straight men would find appealing in a woman.

Most of this thread is populated by straight women.

by Anonymousreply 439May 21, 2021 9:29 AM

Please r439. If you don’t see how gay this thread is, you’re clearly no cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 440May 21, 2021 11:47 AM

I think this is going to turn into yet another case of a disappointed, needlessly angry fan base when it turns out the real solution doesn’t match the wildly overthought and overwrought theories spun online.

by Anonymousreply 441May 21, 2021 12:42 PM

I thought the bunker where the girls were being kept was sound-proofed. That's why they banged on the pipes.

by Anonymousreply 442May 21, 2021 12:52 PM

R442, soundproofed? In THAT hovel?! You realize they could hear the voices downstairs, right? The earlier poster was correct in that it was stupid they just didn't yell out, "Help! We're being held as sex slaves!" versus just banging on the stupid pipe.

by Anonymousreply 443May 21, 2021 12:57 PM

It the room had been soundproofed, he woudn't have needed to gagg them.

by Anonymousreply 444May 21, 2021 12:59 PM

Jean Smart seen as potential supporting actress Emmy nominee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445May 21, 2021 1:36 PM

Also, those girls could have easily kicked out an exterior wall that dumpy house/bar. If I were going to have sex slaves in my attic, I would keep them chained up and gagged.

Who wants to come over for drinks?

by Anonymousreply 446May 21, 2021 1:41 PM

R441 That's why I think it's ridiculous to suspect that that killer would be someone like Lori.

by Anonymousreply 447May 21, 2021 1:41 PM

Billy could teach a master class in conveying non-verbal concern.

by Anonymousreply 448May 21, 2021 1:49 PM

You know, with the right team behind the project, this could be made into a Broadway musical and be the 21st century Les Miz.

by Anonymousreply 449May 21, 2021 1:55 PM

Ben Platt IS Mare Of Easttown.

by Anonymousreply 450May 21, 2021 3:23 PM

James McArdle who played the priest was in The Man in the Orange Shirt.

by Anonymousreply 451May 21, 2021 9:44 PM

Why did Lori’s husband move out?

by Anonymousreply 452May 21, 2021 9:47 PM

R452: Presumably John moved out because he reneged on a promise to his family to stop "doing it" with "the same woman."

An affair seems too obvious an assumption; I think he and the woman are involved with drugs, the silent theme coursing through the show.

by Anonymousreply 453May 21, 2021 10:02 PM

Deborah Hedwall played Zabel’s mother. She’s been on everything; West Wing, Law and Order, Homeland, a really good working actress.

by Anonymousreply 454May 21, 2021 10:06 PM

I think Lori is holding "guilty " knowledge like... Billy is the baby daddy for Erin's kid. I'm still wondering if Erin was shot by accident. Up thread I suggested that she and the Deacon had a spat and she jumped out of his car and maybe her father shot her while aiming for who ever was in the vehicle. When he realized what he did he brought her to that stream and posed he on the rocks.

by Anonymousreply 455May 21, 2021 10:14 PM

R455: That certainly goes to explaining why Erin was found wearing her underpants.

Even in staging the scene to make his accidentally killing his only daughter appear a rape/murder, Kenny could not bear to remove his daughter's panties and leave her so exposed. In playing the vengeful father, he was deliberate in making his shot to Dylan a non-life threatening injury to avoid murder charges.

Days later, the poor sad sack got sloshed and returned to the scene of the crime where he reenacted Erin's body placement.

I think you solved our mystery, R455.

by Anonymousreply 456May 22, 2021 12:28 AM

R455 and 456, it’s plausible, I guess, if the kidnappings and murder are unrelated. That is, if the kidnappings are another red herring.

by Anonymousreply 457May 22, 2021 1:36 AM

If Kenny set up his daughter's body to be found he wouldn't have left her there topless and uncovered, even a creep like Kenny.

by Anonymousreply 458May 22, 2021 2:08 AM

R456, I missed the part where Erin still had her underpants on. Was that shown or said?

by Anonymousreply 459May 22, 2021 3:01 AM

One very obvious thing that is being overlooked about Erin’s death is about her being returned to the scene of the “meet up” in the woods from earlier in the night. The person who killed her has to have known her and that she was in the woods to have returned her body there to throw off the location of the murder scene that would be more evidence.

That does include her father, who wouldn’t give her the car, her ex boyfriend Dylan and Brianna the new girlfriend, Siobhan, Jesse, the Deacon (who she most likely told the story to) and any other intimate that she would have met in the park, such as Uncle Billy or John.

Another thing, do we know who posted the video of the fight, it was taken by that third friend who was with Dylan and Jess to burn the journals. Was the video posted as a means to find the body, the idea that she was in the woods when she disappeared, but she was found by the jogger earlier. Was it to deflect suspicion on Brianna and make her look like the murderer? Could the baby daddy be Dylan’s ride or die friend, maybe who lured her to the park promising to delete the humiliating video or by Erin extorting him for the surgery money? If he’s dealing drugs with Dylan, maybe he’s the heavy and the one to carry a gun?

by Anonymousreply 460May 22, 2021 5:45 AM

R 459 It was shown when Mare went to investigate the crime scene and her body was splayed upon the rocks, she was naked except for panties and it seems to indicate that she was sexually violated, but the autopsy confirmed that she wasn’t. In a way it points to maybe a female having committed the murder and trying to throw off suspicion by making the murderer appear to be a male.

Even the leaving of the panties on seems like something another female might do who couldn’t bring herself to go that far, knowing the vulnerability of a woman. The wife or girlfriend of the actual baby daddy would be a high suspect if she knew about the fathering of the child or suspected as much. Frank’s fiancée does not have an alibi for the after party when Frank went drinking with John Ross and was driven home by him and passed out. Maybe she too thought Frank might be the father and confronted Erin, or Erin was threatening to extort her and ruin the wedding by telling people he was the daddy to get money from her.

by Anonymousreply 461May 22, 2021 6:00 AM

I don’t ever want to watch the 1st episode of this again. Cailee Spaeny’s performance as Erin was so heartbreaking and she was treated so cruelly by everybody… it’s brutal. Too hard to re-watch.

by Anonymousreply 462May 22, 2021 8:41 AM

I hate that Brianna bitch. She’s fat, ugly, and dumpy. They are definitely making it out like there is more to Dylan and Jess’ involvement. I was surprised because Jess seemed so earnest. It made me remember Mare saying something about “teenage girls are fucking sneaky”.

by Anonymousreply 463May 22, 2021 9:04 AM

It was Bob.

by Anonymousreply 464May 22, 2021 10:03 AM

I’m going to admit to a stupid. I thought the series ended at the fourth episode with Zabel getting killed. I turned to my partner and told him what a dramatic ending but so many plot lines hanging. Checking TIVO, I saw more episodes scheduled to record!

by Anonymousreply 465May 22, 2021 11:38 AM

Frank's fiancee seems unlikely as Erin's killer to me because she's been so absent from the action in the last few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 466May 22, 2021 12:33 PM

So, who killed Laura Palmer?

by Anonymousreply 467May 22, 2021 1:22 PM

Lots of theories online. I kind of wonder if it won’t be Lori. Or that at least Lori took her to the river and posed her. By the way Erin was shot, it’s possible the shooter was inexperienced- Ryan? Maybe Ryan thinking his dad was the father of Erin’s baby, or knowing Erin was blackmailing him? Ryan has a lot of anger over his father, and it seems it needs to lead somewhere. Plus, as I said upthread, there’s usually a period in the middle of the movie where the guilty party lays low - Lori hasn’t figured prominently in the last couple episodes.

by Anonymousreply 468May 22, 2021 1:50 PM

The killer is obviously Jean Smart with her hidden ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 469May 22, 2021 1:52 PM

I missed if this has been explained... was Erin a high school dropout because she was a teen mom? Or was she in school? Why wasn’t she receiving some sort of social services?

A school would have her in a program for teen moms, with counseling and GED track and WIC, etc. The baby needed ear tubes? So that meant he at least saw a specialist. How did she afford that?

Maybe I’m overthinking this.

by Anonymousreply 470May 22, 2021 2:07 PM

I can’t buy Lori as the killer for the obvious fact that she would be pulling away from Mare out of needing to hide the crime, and she’s been there for her every minute and more and has complete confidence in her to solve the crime.

by Anonymousreply 471May 22, 2021 2:27 PM

But Lori wouldn’t be the killer, her son would be.

by Anonymousreply 472May 22, 2021 2:29 PM

R472 So we’re talking Tilda Swinton in the Deep End?

by Anonymousreply 473May 22, 2021 2:36 PM

I dunno R473. Just a theory amongst the 5 or 6 that are no less plausible, I guess. Whoever is the killer, I just hope it makes sense and that there have been actual clues sown all along. Otherwise, it’ll be a huge letdown.

by Anonymousreply 474May 22, 2021 3:08 PM

OK. Let me summarize my theory: Erin calls the Deacon crying and upset. He comes to pick her up and puts her bike in his car. There's a struggle in the car and she gets out and runs off. Now, I believe Billy is the baby daddy. I believe either he, or her father was following her that night. Maybe Erin was blackmailing Billy to get money for her kids operation....Or maybe her father followed her because he was going to confront the guy she was meeting. Whether it was her father or Billy, they saw her get in to the car with the Deacon, and then jumping out. Who ever saw this took a few shots and missed the car, but shot Erin in the head. Erin had put her hand up to her face when the shots started and one caught her hand, shooting her finger off . The Deacon took off when the shooting started. (He may have gone back late but he sees that Erin was gone and he is scared he will be implicated so he leaves. The shooter realizes he shot Erin, and she is dead and has to bring her back to the creek and lay her down. He remove her clothes except her panties and positions her. Now I believe it was her father. Because (1) her father goes after Dylan...who was last seen at Erin's beatdown. And afterwards, her dunk ass father is found sprawled in the creek in the exact same position as Erin was. Of course it could be Billy if he's the baby daddy and she was blackmailing him.

by Anonymousreply 475May 22, 2021 7:13 PM

IMO, the only thing Lori might be guilty of is knowing Billy is the baby daddy and she never told Mare.

I also believe Billy deliberately let Erin's father leave the house to go after Dylan. In fact, he could have talked him into it, convincing him Dylan killed her. Because if Dylan had been killed that would have been the end of it as far as Billy could see. Her father would be in jail, and Dylan dead. I guess Billy never read about DNA. So those are my theories. As I said earlier the only thing Siobhan might be up to is helping her brother's baby momma on the custody issue.

by Anonymousreply 476May 22, 2021 7:20 PM

That could explain why he got blotto that night too, R475.

by Anonymousreply 477May 22, 2021 7:28 PM

Why would Erin want Dylan to believe he was her baby's father and not Billy? I'm assuming that Billy had a job and was making some money as opposed to student Dylan....

by Anonymousreply 478May 22, 2021 8:47 PM

Isn't Billy Erin's cousin?

I'm losing it, y'all! :o)

by Anonymousreply 479May 22, 2021 8:54 PM

I think Billy and his brother were Erin's father's cousins. Or are they the father's brothers?

by Anonymousreply 480May 22, 2021 9:00 PM

But John (the older brother ) is definitely Lori's husband.

by Anonymousreply 481May 22, 2021 9:01 PM

While we wait for the next episode, could someone please explain to me the term "baby daddy"? It has been used here fourteen times so far. Do you mean "baby's daddy" , but fail to type the apostrophe?

Sorry for the off-topic question.

by Anonymousreply 482May 23, 2021 1:36 AM

it means a sperm donor that isn't in a real relationship (i.e. married or recognized relationship) with the baby mama. He donated his sperm via hookup or rape.

by Anonymousreply 483May 23, 2021 2:11 AM

I just hope the finale isn’t a gigantic stinker like the finale of The Undoing.

by Anonymousreply 484May 23, 2021 2:22 AM

r484 don't rain on our parade.

by Anonymousreply 485May 23, 2021 2:24 AM

R484 what made it undone?

by Anonymousreply 486May 23, 2021 2:32 AM

R483, that isn't what "baby daddy" is. A "baby daddy" is the guy who impregnated his girl friend but they never married. It isn't a rape or sperm donor situation.

by Anonymousreply 487May 23, 2021 2:40 AM

r487 it means all of that...rape, sperm donor and didn't marry her. Are you dim? it means all manner of illegitimate conception without a follow up marriage.

by Anonymousreply 488May 23, 2021 2:52 AM

baby daddy = the baby's daddy

by Anonymousreply 489May 23, 2021 2:55 AM

R482 here. I understood that it meant the baby's biological father. I guess I should have asked why it seems many posters intentionally do not use the apostrophe and "s" to type "baby's daddy". What is the etiology of this?

I apologize for interrupting the discussion. I'm thoroughly enjoying the series, and reading the thoughtful comments in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 490May 23, 2021 3:07 AM

r490 we're inherently lazy and would just prefer to use baby daddy with out an apostrophe. it's just a phrase.

by Anonymousreply 491May 23, 2021 3:24 AM

R479 I think they are all related in this town

by Anonymousreply 492May 23, 2021 3:46 AM

[quote]A lot of obvious middle aged fraus in this thread. I can tell by how they take offense to criticism of Winslet’s appearance. You are missing the point. She isn’t ugly. Kate Winslet is attractive. When she is in films like The Holiday, or in her actual life. As the character, Mare, she isn’t. Awful personality, dumpy haggard appearance, walks and sits like a lesbian, dresses like a slob..... there is nothing attractive about her.

So let me get this straight (pun intended), anyone in this thread who doesn’t think Kate is plain, or cannot attract a younger man, MUST be a “middle aged frau”. Please stop, you are coming across like a fucking troll.

Even though the Mare character is a hot mess, her attractiveness still comes through, mostly because Kate herself isn't exactly ugly or common looking.

You are just trying to stir up shit where there shouldn’t even be a debate about this woman’s level of attractiveness. There are many attractive women who dress slovenly and never where makeup or just a little, yet their natural beauty still comes through.

Guess it’s OK for Guy Pierce, who was once attractive, to now look like a meth addict? It that perfectly OK because he’s a man?

So, all lesbians are ‘butch’? How moronic can you be? What exactly is walking like a lesbian? There are lots of gorgeous femme lesbians out there. There are many types of gay women out there, you'd be surprised how many of them are very feminine. Not all lesbians wear flannel and combat boots. Don't be ridiculous. Are you even a gay man?

by Anonymousreply 493May 23, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote]it means all of that...rape, sperm donor and didn't marry her. Are you dim? it means all manner of illegitimate conception without a follow up marriage.

No one would refer to the guy who raped a girl and got her pregnant as the baby daddy. They would call him the RAPIST, you dumb fuck. Your answer makes you sound touched.

For R482, the term is just a riff on a baby mama

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494May 23, 2021 5:41 AM

Could someone do a poll of who they believe is the killer?

by Anonymousreply 495May 23, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote]I missed if this has been explained... was Erin a high school dropout because she was a teen mom? Or was she in school? Why wasn’t she receiving some sort of social services?

[quote]A school would have her in a program for teen moms, with counseling and GED track and WIC, etc. The baby needed ear tubes? So that meant he at least saw a specialist. How did she afford that?

[quote] Maybe I’m overthinking this.

I think she was still attending school. In the first thread, someone mentioned that in real life Medicaid would have paid for ear tube surgery for a baby or toddler because it's a medical need. Yes, schools usually do work with teen mom regarding education, counseling, and referrals to social services for WIC, medical needs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 496May 23, 2021 8:13 PM

Who was babysitting for Erin when she was in classes??

I think she dropped out of school when she had the baby.

by Anonymousreply 497May 23, 2021 8:47 PM

Ironically, the New England Journal of Medicine published a study on May 13, 2021, partially done at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, that treating young children’s ear infections with antibiotics over having ear tube surgery showed little or not difference, basically negating surgery, especially in children that young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498May 23, 2021 8:51 PM

Jesus. The women in this series. The only truly beautiful women are the two lesbians. And Kate...now and then.

by Anonymousreply 499May 24, 2021 2:28 AM

Can't load on hbo max! The new episode. Ep6

by Anonymousreply 500May 24, 2021 2:31 AM

R499 Siobhan is a fug.

by Anonymousreply 501May 24, 2021 2:33 AM

Did anyone laugh when Colin's mom bitch slapped Mare?

by Anonymousreply 502May 24, 2021 2:46 AM

I hate the daughter so much!

by Anonymousreply 503May 24, 2021 2:49 AM

I think John’s the real killer and the baby daddy, not Billy.

by Anonymousreply 504May 24, 2021 3:04 AM

I don't hate Siobhan. She was deeply traumatized from finding her brother suicided. Think about it. She was a teenage dealing with issues regarding her sexuality, and she was dealing with a crazy drug addicted brother. And she was first on the scene.

I hate Dylan. And I'm not real fond of Jess. WTF did she finally share with the police. Her shit stinks. I get so impatient with these fake-timid, conniving, weak assed young girls.

by Anonymousreply 505May 24, 2021 3:05 AM

BRILLIANT EPISODE!

Maybe Billy killed Erin out of jealousy because brother John is the baby daddy?

But I have no idea why Erin was still mixed up with Dylan and why she let him think he was the baby daddy.

And why did Jess help burn Erin's journals? Why was she apparently 2-timing Erin? For that matter, why did Dylan want the journals burned?

by Anonymousreply 506May 24, 2021 3:09 AM

Does anyone think there's a possibility that Billy was going to confess for someone else? Like maybe his father killed Erin? Or even maybe John? It was his father who said he saw him with blood all over him. And in the previews for Episode 7, we see Richard all packed and loading bags into his trunk of his car. So WTF? And Jean Smart was hugging Mare again. So something bad is going to happen next week. I'm there for it. I hate when a series manipulates us with fucking cliffhangers. So let's say Billy is the Baby Daddy, but John killed Erin and Billy takes the blame? Maybe John took him to the lake to kill him. You know, like Fredo? I think John is involved and I think he was planning on Killing Billy. He thinks Billy is too weak to keep quiet about what really happened.

by Anonymousreply 507May 24, 2021 3:13 AM

I think John’s the real baby daddy and he guilted Billy into either killing Erin to keep her from spilling the beans. Or he got Billy involved in helping him kill Erin. John’s the dominant one in his relationship with Billy. And he probably guilted Billy by telling him he does t have a wife and kids, like he does so he can take the wrap. Also, the scene when John and his dad are moving his mattress in the house then Billy walks in and learns John is staying there, Billy gets pissed and snaps, “John needs to learn to clean up his own messes”—is very telling.

by Anonymousreply 508May 24, 2021 3:22 AM

All the receipt said was “Ross” and there are three of them.

by Anonymousreply 509May 24, 2021 3:26 AM

Who the fuck is Ross?

by Anonymousreply 510May 24, 2021 3:30 AM

John is 100% the baby daddy and might even have been the killer, but is talking his brother into taking the fall after he got him to help move her body. I kept thinking that John's reactions were really bizarre throughout the episode, especially when his father was telling him what he saw and John had kind of a delayed reaction. We don't actually hear what happened from Billy, just Billy looking terrified after talking to his brother. And then John suggests they go fishing "one last time" before taking him to the police station? He asks Lore not to tell Mare to protect the family? Billy keeps eyeing the gun and clinging to that tackle box for dear life.

I think he expects his brother to try and kill him out there to shut him up. Billy is riddled with guilt for having been an accessory, but as R508 pointed out, Billy being angry at John who needs to clean up his mess said it all.

The only name Mare sees on the receipt for the locket was "Ross", no first name.

I think part of Lori believes it might be her husband, too. Ryan didn't see his dad with another woman, he saw him with Erin.

by Anonymousreply 511May 24, 2021 3:31 AM

R510 John Ross, Billy Ross and Daddy Ross- there is also Ryan Ross, but I think we can rule him out as baby daddy.

by Anonymousreply 512May 24, 2021 3:35 AM

That being said, there was a moment when Richard comes to visit Mare that I had this sudden feeling that he actually WAS the killer, or was somehow involved. It was weird. Like it felt as it there were no other purpose for that scene other than to remind us he was around.

What if John is DJ's father, and he threatened Erin and he and his brother shot at her but she got away? And goes to see Richard who had maybe hired her off of the porn site she was on and they had a connection? The photo her friend has will either show Erin with John or Erin with Richard, but I'm wondering why the sheriff would try to call and stop Mare then?

by Anonymousreply 513May 24, 2021 3:37 AM

When the Police Chief said the gun that killed Erin was a cop’s gun of Mare’s dad’s era - the Ross dad is played by Gordon Clapp - stuttering Greg Medavoy from NYPD Blue - so of course that is gun. And when Billy got mad at his dad for letting him stay there - “He has to pay for his mistakes sometime!” Yes he is trying to get Billy to take the fall.

by Anonymousreply 514May 24, 2021 3:37 AM

Ingelsby make one Pennsylvanian misstep in this episode, John and Billy Ross are going to “hunting camp,” “fishing camp” or “camp,” but not to a “cabin.” He is probably not a hunter, fisherman, nor a redneck, obviously, as he got the hell out of there to California. When my family got our cabin my professional hunter father declared it “camp,” my mother said it was our weekend “cabin,” I referred to it as our “summer vacation house” and when my aunt came to visit she told people she was going to the “little cottage in the big woods,” she was a children’s librarian. My mom won, it’s our cabin, and the rest of us just live in our fantasy of it. But any Pennsylvania outdoorsman will refer to that as “camp,” even ones with running water and indoor plumbing.

by Anonymousreply 515May 24, 2021 3:50 AM

I may not be remembering this right, but weren’t Mare and Lori bonded in friendship by by both having fathers who were cops? She could have inherited his gun? We do know that the guns in Billy’s tackle box and that Dylan was flashing around were not the murder weapons. One other possible side bit of information we learned is that Kevin stole things out Mare and Frank’s house to sell and get drug money. If Mare had inherited her father’s gun, Kevin might have stolen and sold it and potentially the gun that killed Erin might have been Mare’s dad’s gun. Note also that Kevin hung himself, he didn’t shoot himself despite I’m sure knowing how to get access to Mare pistol or other guns in the house.

by Anonymousreply 516May 24, 2021 4:04 AM

I predict that the mother of Mare's grandson is going to change her mind and let Mare retain custody, because she doesn't think she can handle being a mother.

I really want to know the plot of Richard's book now.

by Anonymousreply 517May 24, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote]When the Police Chief said the gun that killed Erin was a cop’s gun of Mare’s dad’s era

I assumed Siobhan would be implicated somehow. After Mare's father committed suicide (do we know the method?), the gun might have been among his possessions. Siobhan could have had access. I haven't come up with motive. It's just that Siobhan going to prison would be the most tragic resolution, and it feels like that kind of show.

by Anonymousreply 518May 24, 2021 4:28 AM

R516 [quote] One other possible side bit of information we learned is that Kevin stole things out Mare and Frank’s house to sell and get drug money. If Mare had inherited her father’s gun, Kevin might have stolen and sold it and potentially the gun that killed Erin might have been Mare’s dad’s gun. Note also that Kevin hung himself, he didn’t shoot himself despite I’m sure knowing how to get access to Mare pistol or other guns in the house.

This could also tie in with the flashback in a previous episode of Carrie and Kevin stealing money or things from Mare's house. Maybe, Carrie was the one who stole a gun that belonged to Mare's father and sold it to the killer.

by Anonymousreply 519May 24, 2021 4:39 AM

Guy Pearce is so seedy, LOL

by Anonymousreply 520May 24, 2021 4:44 AM

[quote]. . .mostly because Kate herself isn't exactly ugly or common looking, to other white people.

Fixed it for you r493

by Anonymousreply 521May 24, 2021 5:10 AM

^^^I just blocked the racist.

by Anonymousreply 522May 24, 2021 5:13 AM

SPOILER BELOW

r506 did you suddenly fall sleep at the part where Lori told Mare that Erin threatened Billy with telling everyone that he was the father of her kid?

by Anonymousreply 523May 24, 2021 5:14 AM

[quote]I really want to know the plot of Richard's book now.

That keeps going through my mind too r517, I keep going back to that book every now and then since he mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 524May 24, 2021 5:21 AM

Maybe Lori found out that John was the father of Erin's baby, went mental and shot her, then Billy helped cover it up. Now he's covering for Lori, but John knows and is going to get rid of Billy to prevent him from spilling the beans on what actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 525May 24, 2021 5:36 AM

I think r511 got it right.

by Anonymousreply 526May 24, 2021 5:51 AM

Well, we now know that it all comes down to the Ross family.

So why did we have the Zabel, girls locked in the basement, Katie story line at all? And Richard?

It's kind of nice that not every damn thing meant something. That gets tedious and doesn't reflect real life.

by Anonymousreply 527May 24, 2021 6:39 AM

well they have to out do epi 5 for the finale.

by Anonymousreply 528May 24, 2021 6:46 AM

I'm thinking the killer is Dylans dad. Dylan and him are trying to frame the Ross family.

by Anonymousreply 529May 24, 2021 6:49 AM

John Ross is so hot! I would love to fuck that hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 530May 24, 2021 7:36 AM

Wait, Freddie got permission by Erin’s Dad to go into her room to get clothes to give to his own daughter for a present, why would he choose two very specific “named” pieces like a family reunion shirt and Erin’s sport’s jersey with her name on it? He would be looking for something more along the lines of something cute from Hot Topic for his kid. He also might have found, read and moved Erin’s journals at that time. Her dad may have even asked him to do that as there may be things he knows are in them that compromise him as well?

We know Freddie is a lurker, a watcher and willing to extort a person for money to get drugs, even someone as vulnerable as Dawn. He choose those clothing items because he knows something about Erin and can use them as blackmail against that person, why else would he have them? Freddie didn’t just OD, he was killed, and most likely it was very stealthily done by the dealer who upped the fentanyl level to quiet him and what he knows.

If Dylan, Jesse and friend are dealing drugs(Dylan is driving a pretty nice truck for a high school kid struggling with money needs for his kid’s operation and he’s carrying a piece) they might be part of it. Erin knew he does that, it’s in the journals, and she may have decided to extort him for drug money to pay for the operation -her being jumped by Brianna was the last straw and she was going to use it against him.

Freddie has just been too prominent and prevalent (from a script point of view) to be just a red herring, he’s a piece of the puzzle. The show opened with him doing a crime on his sister, so he has no bounds about what he won’t do. He tries extorting a mom with a missing child, there’s no reason for that other then for us to know how desperate he is and willing to do illegal things and take advantage of people. He’s in the dead girls bedroom and takes items that don’t make sense unless there’s a sinister reason to have them.

by Anonymousreply 531May 24, 2021 9:07 AM

[quote]And then John suggests they go fishing "one last time" before taking him to the police station?

The one thing we know for sure is that Billy has not seen Godfather II.

by Anonymousreply 532May 24, 2021 9:12 AM

The episode title is from a line in Emily Dickinson’s most prominent poem, “Hope is the thing with feathers.” The line speaks of abashing the little bird, who would be Erin or possible Mare being beaten down?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533May 24, 2021 9:19 AM

Either there has to be a twist involving Guy Pearce next week or it has to be obvious it's set up for a second season. He's too big a name to be in what so far has been very much a bit-part.

by Anonymousreply 534May 24, 2021 9:29 AM

The chief seeing the picture and demanding to have Mare called immediately can’t be because it’s a picture of Kevin could it? Erin gets pregnant by Kevin, he kills himself over fucking up yet again, already having a kid he can’t support. Erin latches on to Dylan because she likes his parents and he has drug money to help support the kid.

Of course this hinges on Kevin not being fathered by Frank, as there would be a DNA overlap. Mare has her own secret of who Kevin’s father might be, and did she possibly cheat with “can’t keep it in his pants” John Ross, her best friend’s husband?

Mare WAS that sneaky teen girl she admonished to Colin, we really haven’t learned Mare’s secrets yet. This also sets DJ up to be fostered/adopted by Mare as another grandchild. It would also destroy Mare’s friendship with Lori. It connects Kevin’s reddish hair with DJ as well.

by Anonymousreply 535May 24, 2021 9:47 AM

Episode 5 should have been the end of the series.

by Anonymousreply 536May 24, 2021 9:49 AM

The only character I like in the show is Helen.

by Anonymousreply 537May 24, 2021 11:22 AM

I hope there’s a second season. It looks like it right?

by Anonymousreply 538May 24, 2021 12:36 PM

R511 If Billy thinks John wants to kill him, why would he agree to go with him on a fishing trip? That would be a terrible writing. But then again, we already had a terrible writing with those two locked girls banging on a pipe instead of yelling and screaming for help.

by Anonymousreply 539May 24, 2021 12:43 PM

R501 You are a fug. Do you say stupid shit just to be controversial and different? Obviously she a very attractive young lady.

by Anonymousreply 540May 24, 2021 12:45 PM

Whichever Ross bought the medallion for Erin was pretty stupid to go to a local jeweler who would know his name.

by Anonymousreply 541May 24, 2021 12:48 PM

Maybe Billy found Erin shot, but didn’t actually kill her. He might have posed her thinking he was framing or covering for someone? I think the fact that it was a bullet from an old gun was a huge clue.

by Anonymousreply 542May 24, 2021 12:54 PM

Billy is a drunk. He was probably blacked out the night Erin died and John is manipulating him into making him believe he killed her when it was actually John.

The biggest question mark for me is Guy Pearce. There’s got to be more to his story. I don’t think it’s a coincidence he was in the bar that night when Mare and all her friends were there for their big event.

by Anonymousreply 543May 24, 2021 12:58 PM

Isn't Guy Pearce just a replacement cast member? I can't remember the name of the actor he replaced, but he was brought on after the rest of the cast, no? I don't think the actor he replaced was a "big name," so that's why I doubt that Guy Pearce's character has anything to do with anything just because Guy Pearce is a "big name."

by Anonymousreply 544May 24, 2021 1:00 PM

Yeah, I think John is the baby daddy and killer, letting Billy take the fall.. There’ll be a standoff between Mare and John when John says something to make her realize he’s the killer. Or the gun is in the tackle box.

by Anonymousreply 545May 24, 2021 1:09 PM

And John let Billy get his fingerprints on the tackle box.

by Anonymousreply 546May 24, 2021 1:14 PM

Its COMPLETE bullshit Mare got her badge back just like that. This series is getting pretty damn cheesy. Also the direction and acting, can be super obvious.

by Anonymousreply 547May 24, 2021 1:15 PM

Plus, Lori going on about not knowing John was having an affair again. I think it’s because he wasn’t, what Ryan knew was about his dad and Erin.

by Anonymousreply 548May 24, 2021 1:19 PM

Further, she totally deserves to (a) get shot and (b) have her badge taken away permanently, for not obeying the order to pull over and wait for backup. They'd have been there in an hour and there was no reason for her to go screaming into danger. It wasn't as if there was an innocent hostage this time - she doesn't even know that Billy might be one.

Didn't she learn last episode that running around without appropriate backup causes problems?

by Anonymousreply 549May 24, 2021 1:22 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550May 24, 2021 1:32 PM

Guy Pearce was a last minute replacement for British actor Ben Miles, who played Princess Margaret's first love in THE CROWN in Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 551May 24, 2021 2:05 PM

John and Lori’s son Ryan knows more than he’s said so far. He probably saw John and Erin together at the family reunion

by Anonymousreply 552May 24, 2021 2:09 PM

It's Lori.

by Anonymousreply 553May 24, 2021 2:35 PM

At this point, I guess Billy or John seem too likely. There has to be some twist.

by Anonymousreply 554May 24, 2021 2:38 PM

I wander if the Mare of East town Pensalvina can look into voter freud in that State.

by Anonymousreply 555May 24, 2021 2:43 PM

What is the story with Dylan and the two other kids? Were they also at the park when Erin was killed?

by Anonymousreply 556May 24, 2021 2:50 PM

I think this series is different from the typical Detective story because it has several different storylines going on simultaneously, and it is introducing us to a whole world and characters, hopefully setting things up for a Season Two. So we have the kidnappings, the junkies, the murder, etc. We are gradually leaning the backstories of Mare's immediate family, explaining her estrangement with Siobhan, her ex husband, her mother, etc.

Now her husband is the storyline leading to the Rosses, and so is Lori's. Mare's personal life and relationships with her Mother, her daughter, the back story of a son's suicide and drug addiction. And Richard is part of that story. It was an important line but very easily dismissed, when Zabel asked Mare if she was related to everyone in the town. It was an important set up...because some of the back stories or threads from her personal life lead us to other lines of inquiry. But I'm noticing that all the outsiders, Zabel, Richard, the Deacon, all eventually disappear form the main story. I don't think Richard is involved. There have been no "bread crumbs" to suggest it. And we are very good, at DL at following the bread crumbs.

The info about that gun used to kill Erin is critical. It's a lead. Are we sure the gun in Billy's tackle box is not an older gun? And remember, if they do a DNA test, the results could implicate John Ross, Billy Ross, or their father. All of them share DNA. Not yet sure how Dylan and Jess figure in to the story. I'm thinking drugs? But their involvement functions to let new evidence be introduced.

The new evidence introduced at the very end is Erin telling them who the baby daddy is, that's what I'm betting. So what we have now is the circle of suspects getting smaller. And the storylines for all the elements are coming to a head. I don't think Freddie had anything more to do than introducing the link between the reunion t shirt and the heart pendant. It was a break in the case. His pitiful attempt to extort money failed like a limp Dick.

by Anonymousreply 557May 24, 2021 2:57 PM

In episode 1 Frank and the priest- cousin are in Mare's kitchen the night of Erin's murder. Giving either one of them access to the attic and getting Mare's dad's gun. The kind of gun they haven't produced in decades. Also, in that scene, the priest says slyly, "I'm innocent." I'm thinking it's the priest

by Anonymousreply 558May 24, 2021 3:05 PM

See, I think the whole point of introducing the priest was so we could be introduced to the Deacon...who had a relationship with Erin and had the bike. We don't really know what his relationship was with her, but we assume it was inappropriate. But maybe it wasn't. He just went too far in trying to "help" her. The Deacon was momentarily important because he answered the question of how Erin was shot somewhere and her body ended somewhere else. Obviously Mare going to the fishing camp to arrest Billy is a wrong direction based on the new evidence Jess just gave the police chief.

by Anonymousreply 559May 24, 2021 3:17 PM

R547, I know. It’s bogus. I don’t know exactly how it works, but isn’t there a police union? Taking the badge and gun effective immediately, pending a hearing, I can see. But I can’t imagine anything else happening without a lot of red tape and a hearing. Police personnel seem to get hired and fired at the Chief’s whim.

by Anonymousreply 560May 24, 2021 3:22 PM

Here's a pretty good analysis of the show . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561May 24, 2021 3:47 PM

I don’t think Guy Pearce is going to figure into this at all other than a nice little coda where Mare phones him and says, “I’m ready to see you.” It’ll be Mare moving on.

Also, Richard is only 52?! More like 57 at least.

Mare should be investigating what other married men Helen fucked. Just as an amusing side gig.

by Anonymousreply 562May 24, 2021 3:53 PM

John killed Erin, Billy helped move the body. My guess, anyway.

John is DJ’s father and convinced his unstable brother to take the fall. Only John doesn’t trust him to do it.

“Lori THINKS I had an affair.”

The question “Did you have an affair,” went unanswered.

by Anonymousreply 563May 24, 2021 3:56 PM

But wouldn’t Lori wonder where her husband was on the night of the murder?

by Anonymousreply 564May 24, 2021 3:57 PM

I remeber Dylan asked about necklace, didnt he?

by Anonymousreply 565May 24, 2021 3:57 PM

Did anyone else roll their eyes when they kept saying family reunion? Everybody who went lives in the same town!

by Anonymousreply 566May 24, 2021 4:12 PM

Plus it was the same family who all live in the same town and see each other every day.

by Anonymousreply 567May 24, 2021 4:21 PM

R566 I have to laugh because, for some reason, that didn't occur to me while watching the episode. 🤣 It IS strange how they called it a family reunion and LITERALLY the only people who attended seem to be the people in the town. They never mentioned that Aunt Gladys from 2 towns over attended, or their other cousins, etc. How strange!!

by Anonymousreply 568May 24, 2021 4:28 PM

Maybe Lori bought the jewelry as a gesture to a girl whose mother had died. Interesting isn't it, that when Frank came under suspicion for a minute, it was John who provided the alibi..."He was with me, drunk and peed in the closet." complete with a photo.

BTW: I think when Dylan and his fiend were gathering and burning the journals, Jess was sitting there secretly photographing pages, so I think it is not just a picture, it may also be photos of actual pages in the journal.

by Anonymousreply 569May 24, 2021 4:31 PM

I don't think so, r569. The camera clearly showed Jess coming upon a loose piece of paper (maybe roughly photo sized) while going through the journal, and just as clearly showed her slipping it into her jacket pocket. She only turns over one piece of paper to the police--that one.

by Anonymousreply 570May 24, 2021 4:39 PM

Thanks a lot r568, now I'm seeing the ending differently.

AUNT GLADYS killed Erin!

by Anonymousreply 571May 24, 2021 4:39 PM

So at least one uncle sexed their niece? And the father mistakenly shot someone? These people are a mess.

by Anonymousreply 572May 24, 2021 4:43 PM

If one of the Rosses is the baby daddy and related to Erin, would that be identifiable in baby DJ’s genetic profile showing he got a double set of DNA markers from very two similar related parents?

by Anonymousreply 573May 24, 2021 4:47 PM

R568 I noticed it every time they said REUNION. Like, why not just call it a getaway or a vacation? "Hey cousin, haven't seen you since...Wednesday!"

R570 It was definitely a photo that she handed over.

R573 the Rosses are Erin's dad's cousins, so her first cousins once removed. I don't know if that's close enough to flag inbreeding in a DNA test if they weren't looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 574May 24, 2021 4:49 PM

I just took a 2nd look at the receipts - and the one on the left says the client is Bill Ross. The other more prominent one just has Ross. So clearly it's Billy who bought it.

by Anonymousreply 575May 24, 2021 5:07 PM

Who's in the photo?

John and his sons: Ryan and Erin's baby.

Remember the look on Ryan's face when his parents mentioned interest in adopting the baby.

by Anonymousreply 576May 24, 2021 5:27 PM

Wouldn't Mare already have the DNA results of the beer bottle Billy was drinking in ep 5? I mean, supposing she grabbed the bottle

by Anonymousreply 577May 24, 2021 5:28 PM

So there’s an HBO miniseries with absolutely no male nudity?

by Anonymousreply 578May 24, 2021 5:31 PM

"Did you just fart?"

"I got new shoes!"

by Anonymousreply 579May 24, 2021 6:25 PM

Maybe I missed it, but was it ever said who the woman John is hooking up with again is?

by Anonymousreply 580May 24, 2021 8:28 PM

[quote] I'm thinking the killer is Dylans dad. Dylan and him are trying to frame the Ross family.

This is a good theory. Maybe, Dylan's dad found out that Dylan wasn't the father of DJ and was furious by the deception because he, his wife, and Dylan had been giving some monetary support for the baby. The dad killed Erin and framed the Ross family after finding out that Billy or John is the father.

by Anonymousreply 581May 24, 2021 8:46 PM

Mrs. Zabel used Double Slap! It's super effective! CRITICAL HIT! Mare flinched!

by Anonymousreply 582May 24, 2021 9:02 PM

We could have seen nude Zabel on the autopsy table.

by Anonymousreply 583May 24, 2021 9:03 PM

Son of Lori knows more. He made the story up with the same lover to get rid of daddy off the house.

by Anonymousreply 584May 24, 2021 9:06 PM

Jean Smart's wardrobe is awful in this show.

by Anonymousreply 585May 24, 2021 9:09 PM

R585, I heard she’s wearing her own clothes.

by Anonymousreply 586May 24, 2021 9:10 PM

This is more confusing than who killed JR Ewing.

by Anonymousreply 587May 24, 2021 9:10 PM

I like the show, but I can’t keep up with all these characters.

I’m old! I’m confused!

by Anonymousreply 588May 24, 2021 9:13 PM

R563 I doubt John would need help carrying Erin. He's a big guy and she was a petite girl.

by Anonymousreply 589May 24, 2021 9:45 PM

J.R. DEAD?????!!!!!!!!

But seriously, ROP please create a new (part three) thread. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 590May 24, 2021 9:54 PM

Siobhan saying “I spoke to that professor at Berkeley this morning.” Yeah, last time I checked there’s a 3 hour time difference. Does that mean she spoke to her BEFORE 9AM on the west coast? Doubtful.

Also, a cousin of mine in PA was propositioned by her uncle. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 591May 24, 2021 10:05 PM

One thing we know for sure: Erin was a little whore.

by Anonymousreply 592May 24, 2021 10:06 PM

So Erin is flat broke and got knocked up by a cousin. Girl, hop on the train and go to Planned Parenthood in downtown Philly.

by Anonymousreply 593May 24, 2021 10:18 PM

This show has way too many suspects. They have yet to figure out who was with Erin at the park where they found the bullet.

And why would the deacon take Erin to the park but not leave her bike with her so she could get home?

by Anonymousreply 594May 24, 2021 10:24 PM

It’s like Murder on the Orient Express. Everybody in this white trash town raped and killed her.

by Anonymousreply 595May 24, 2021 10:27 PM

R590 Sure! The Mare of Easttown Finale Thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596May 24, 2021 10:28 PM

But....

by Anonymousreply 597May 24, 2021 10:33 PM

let's.....

by Anonymousreply 598May 24, 2021 10:33 PM

just......

by Anonymousreply 599May 24, 2021 10:33 PM

finish.....

by Anonymousreply 600May 24, 2021 10:34 PM

this thread.......

by Anonymousreply 601May 24, 2021 10:34 PM

up!!!

by Anonymousreply 602May 24, 2021 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!