Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's talk about Jack Nicholson

I never had much interest in him, but he's mentioned in some of the Lara Flynn Boyle threads and I was intrigued after this comment:

"There is another, long thread here about this. It was awful, dark, almost scary---Can't find it right now--It might have been a thread about Jack Nicholson's evil heart, and how he delighted in degrading and ruining women, with lots of discussion about her. Somebody said she is not really there mentally there's been so much damage."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2021 4:29 PM

Wasn't at his house that pedophile Polanski raped a child?

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2021 3:24 PM

You can kind of just tell he's not that nice a guy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2021 3:27 PM

He's also a phony hammy actor. I don't get the praise AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2021 3:28 PM

He was very cute when he was young. A powerhouse of an actor.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2021 3:30 PM

He's a terrible actor that sounds like a robot. He's terrible at the ridiculous film Ryan Murphy ripped to make that show with the nurse.

A lot of old films are phony and hammy so maybe that's a generational thing too.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2021 3:36 PM

Carly Simon didn't have nice things to say about him.

Said he treated her like a piece of meat when he fucked her.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2021 3:53 PM

R5 = Holden Caufield, age 16.

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2021 3:56 PM

I'm going to post a reply here REEEEEEEEEEEAL soon.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2021 3:59 PM

R8: You better be quick because you are circling the drain.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2021 5:00 PM

Blind item from several years ago that many people took to be about Lara and Jack:

It is quite shocking that this actress is even still alive. She probably spent more on drugs and did more drugs than any other actress in modern Hollywood. She rarely works anymore although she has talked of a comeback. Back in the day this actress was just about A list and was doing movies and television and had an A list boyfriend. That was the peak of her drug use. His parties were legendary and he paid for the drugs and our actress had about a two year period there which is just one big blank. If this actress ever decides to write a book to tell her tales it will be filled with orgies and drugs like you have never seen. Her boyfriend used to make her have sex with everyone and everything. Men or women, old and young. She did it too because she was so crazy for the drugs. She basically could not function enough to work for a several year period but her boyfriend would make sure she was hired more to keep her out of the house than out of any goodness of his heart. She was just a plaything to him. Had them before and has them now. Not as many now, but he still has them. Back then he was winding down his party lifestyle and she was the perfect way for him to go out. She is a hollow shell compared to what she used to be. She is with someone else now. He doesn't really know what happened. He is just enamored with the fact that he has an actress who used to be in movies and television. The fact that she does not talk about that part of her life or have many memories of it and has had so much brain damage that she can barely make sentences sometimes does not really bother him. This actress had such promise and it went away in a drug induced haze that is the biggest anyone can remember.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2021 5:20 PM

R10 I think it is them because someone in one of the threads devoted to her said that her husband married her because he wanted a celebrity wife, so it fits.

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2021 5:27 PM

Jack Nicholson's views of women seemed to really change in the early 70s, when a journalist found out his mother was his grandmother and his sister was his real mother. Both women were dead at that point so he was never able to confront them about the lie. After that, he really seemed to step up his use/abuse of women.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2021 7:14 PM

He was good in Chinatown. Later he became a smirking parody of himself. Audiences didn't seem to mind, it brought in the money. Jack being "Jack."

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2021 7:20 PM

I knew a nephew of Angelica Houston. He told me a story. He was staying at her house, he was about 25 at the time. This is circa 1984. He and his buddy were sitting in the kitchen, and Jack comes in with what basically was a small zip-loc bag full of cocaine. He announced to the two young men: "I don't care if ya do it, or if ya don't do it. Tonight, you're doin' it!"

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2021 7:28 PM

He's sorta ugly.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2021 7:30 PM

Is he close to death?

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2021 7:31 PM

When’s the last time anyone has seen him? It’s been a few years. I read he has dementia.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2021 7:34 PM

From 1969 to about 1985, he was the greatest American film actor. He's delivered some really hammy, embarrassing performances since then. Why would he appear in something as hideous as The Bucket List or Wolf? He'll always get props for Five East Pieces, Chinatown, and Cuckoo's Nest.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2021 7:39 PM

I absolutely could not stand the sight of him, especially at the Academy Awards where he was always seated front row, even when not nominated.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2021 7:43 PM

I had to interview him once for a magazine article. I would say that with the exception of Melanie Griffith, he was the single most unpleasant celebrity I ever had the misfortune to meet. A truly dark, fucked-up creature.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2021 7:43 PM

He is (and was) so fuck-ugly that any woman who (intentionally) fucked him deserved whatever she got.

Straight women need to step up and take responsibility for their dumb decisions about men.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2021 7:50 PM

He was never attractive

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2021 7:59 PM

Let’s F&F the Copycat Thread Thief OP instead, for stealing yet another idea for a thread from Reply 113, etc., in the “93rd Oscars Go Down” thread.

The Copycat Thread Thief She doesn't watch new shows, doesn't follow the news, doesn't do research, doesn't have good taste, style, knowledge or an authentic personality of her own. She just lazily kicks back and waits for others to mention something, then steals the idea for "a thread of its own" and another bid for relevance. She's too cheap to pay writers or do her own research.

I think I might have to start suing Muriel for all this plagiarism. God knows I have LOTS of documentary evidence of the Copycat Thread Thief starting a new thread every time I've introduced her to names and artwork. I have a strong suspicion that the Copycat Thread Thief is just cheap Muriel herself.

Regardless of who this shady, mentally ill person is, one thing is certain: I reduce my participation on DL by about 7 percent each time one of my contributions is ripped off for a redundant "Thread of its own" and somebody else's cachet.

Any time I have helpful information or suggestions for the posters here, particularly from pop culture, I just keep it to myself 95% of the time now. Generate your own work and do your own research, you unoriginal, little paradite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2021 11:02 PM

Note to the Copycat Thread Thief:

This thread scraped up 8 more replies than the “Neverending Story” thread you stole, so Congratulations!

Your desperation is really paying off with 24 whole replies!

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2021 11:09 PM

I'd pretend I had Alzheimer's too during the me too era

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2021 11:11 PM

How has Jack managed to avoid being sucked into the whole #timesup / #metoo movement?

by Anonymousreply 26May 7, 2021 1:50 AM

R26 did he quid pro quo in the workplace? If not, there’s nothing to see there. He can do whatever he wants in his personal life. Also (and I think this is important) he never put on a public facade of being something other than he is. There’s no mask to rip off.

by Anonymousreply 27May 7, 2021 2:00 AM

R23 I'm the OP and AS I SAID IN MY POST I was inspired to post this by juicy gossip in the Lara Flynn Boyle threads, which is way more interesting than your one line about being "disgusted by" Nicholson in a thread I hadn't even read until you linked it.

I'll just put you on ignore. That way I can't "seal" any more of your posts about obscure figures like a three time Oscar winner that you "introduced" me to...

by Anonymousreply 28May 7, 2021 2:07 AM

A bit overrated, far too willing to go over the top, almost hammy at times.

by Anonymousreply 29May 7, 2021 2:07 AM

Don't let one paranoid weirdo derail the thread-I want gossip!

by Anonymousreply 30May 7, 2021 2:08 AM

Is Jack in diapers now?

by Anonymousreply 31May 7, 2021 2:23 AM

It's weird that he had a small part in On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.

by Anonymousreply 32May 7, 2021 2:37 AM

r16 His hammy performances started long before 1985. The Shining? I agree that it really started with Cuckoo's Nest.

by Anonymousreply 33May 7, 2021 2:38 AM

He was considered the coolest guy in Hollywood, but today he would just be considered a pervert and drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 34May 7, 2021 2:39 AM

R23 Get help. You realize you sound completely deranged and unhinged, don't you? It's a fucking internet message board. Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 35May 7, 2021 2:41 AM

He had an affair with Streep on Ironweed after she rejected him during Heartburn.

I think at one point he had prostitutes living in his guesthouse until LAPD told him that was illegal.

I would say he was as bad as Polanski with underage and deflowered Drew Barrymore with her mom’s consent.

by Anonymousreply 36May 7, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote] I had to interview him once for a magazine article. I would say that with the exception of Melanie Griffith, he was the single most unpleasant celebrity I ever had the misfortune to meet. A truly dark, fucked-up creature.

R20, can you say more about Nicholson and M. Griffith as well?

by Anonymousreply 37May 7, 2021 2:45 AM

He was miscast in As Good As It Gets (1997). That character was supposed to be OCD about cleanliness (hygiene) and I just didn't buy it. He got the mean (unkind) aspect of the character down-pat though.

He was a huge weak spot in The Departed (2006, as the Whitey Bulger character). Way over the top. The movie was already cartoonish, in a good way (Alec Baldwin).

by Anonymousreply 38May 7, 2021 2:50 AM

There is something mean-spirited about him, He seems like a huge cunt, especially to women.

by Anonymousreply 39May 7, 2021 2:57 AM

But back in the day he was devilish, handsome and a new type of guy. He seemed ultra hip, but was very disciplined in Five Easy Pieces, Chinatown, The Last Detail, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. He shouldn't be just written off as a joke.

by Anonymousreply 40May 7, 2021 2:58 AM

He was sexy in The Raven.

by Anonymousreply 41May 7, 2021 3:21 AM

Feel bad for the young Anjelica Huston. John Huston as a father, then Nicholson as her boyfriend when she was young.

John Huston, as a man who impregnated his own daughter, was perfectly cast. Really gave me the creeps.

by Anonymousreply 42May 7, 2021 3:29 AM

R36 Some years back there was a blind item about a child actress whose mother auctioned off her virginity to an actor. I never figured out who it was, but your post makes me think it was about Nicholson and Barrymore.

by Anonymousreply 43May 7, 2021 3:54 AM

R20 Tell us your Melanie Griffith story! Worse than Jack? Would also like to hear more about your interview with him.

by Anonymousreply 44May 7, 2021 4:06 AM

Do you think when he finally Circles that drain, all the stories will tumble out? He has dark energy to me.

by Anonymousreply 45May 7, 2021 4:29 AM

Elizabeth Taylor- winner, LB Mayer

by Anonymousreply 46May 7, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote] John Huston, as a man who impregnated his own daughter, was perfectly cast. Really gave me the creeps.

In "Chinatown," I meant.

by Anonymousreply 47May 7, 2021 5:51 PM

John Huston also likely raped Susan Tyrrell. It has been told by herself in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 48May 7, 2021 6:00 PM

R18 Over Al Pacino??

by Anonymousreply 49May 7, 2021 6:01 PM

'The King Of Marvin Gardens' was also part of the pre-ham Jack-pack, with the bonus of his admired friend Bruce Dern.

Jack's cameos in 'Reds', 'The Last Tycoon', 'Broadcast News' and 'A Few Good Men' are very much worth noting too. (Beatty it's been said cut lots of Jack in 'Reds' because he was so effortlessly good.) Not sure anyone else of his calibre would have taken such non-top roles, but such is idiosyncratic talent and confidence.

'About Schmidt' was something of a downbeat return to form. It's fairly easy to slice away the ham and enjoy the very best, maybe before all that's implied in this thread bursts forth.

by Anonymousreply 50May 7, 2021 6:40 PM

Okay. Let's talk.

What do you wanna talk about?

Maybe it was about Jack Nicholson. Maybe it was about ℎ𝑖𝑚.

I think we 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 discuss Jack Nicholson.

I think... we should discuss what should be 𝑑𝑜𝑛𝑒 with him.

What 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 be done with him?

by Anonymousreply 51May 7, 2021 7:01 PM

JN's once mischievous look in his eyes and roguish charm changed to something ugly, mean. Definitely menacing, but I do not remember what time frame it was when I noticed that. It seemed to be after his break up with AH? . They were together for many years and I was a bit surprised with they ended it. Did he abuse her as well?

by Anonymousreply 52May 8, 2021 6:03 AM

R52 I don't think he ever struck her, but he lied to her constantly (as cheaters do) and broke the news to her that he'd impregnated a waitress over dinner.

by Anonymousreply 53May 8, 2021 9:54 AM

He is not a gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 54May 8, 2021 2:16 PM

Does he still play golf?

by Anonymousreply 55May 8, 2021 2:19 PM

Yes, but perhaps he should not have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 8, 2021 5:23 PM

My dear, he is not *received.*

by Anonymousreply 57May 8, 2021 6:05 PM

He helped make Jessica Lange a major star/actress so he deserves our respect.

by Anonymousreply 58May 11, 2021 6:43 PM

R40 Would that "new kind of guy" be an anti-hero? I will admit he had a moment of cuteness and charm early on but by "Chinatown" his cuteness was gone.

His early performances were good but by the mid-eighties he seemed to have settled into his schtick. I don't know why people rave about "A Few Good Men." He was so hammy and over the top.

by Anonymousreply 59May 11, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote] Do you think when he finally Circles that drain, all the stories will tumble out? He has dark energy to me.

Didn’t happen for Kirk Douglas, so maybe not Jack either.

by Anonymousreply 60May 11, 2021 10:14 PM

By fingering Jessica? Streep turned it down. I also said no.

I think he will be revered when he dies but then later all the dirt will come out and people will still love him.

by Anonymousreply 61May 11, 2021 11:48 PM

He and Lange really fucked before the cameras in Postman.

by Anonymousreply 62May 12, 2021 2:06 AM

“Before the cameras” = you are seeing them fuck in the film

by Anonymousreply 63May 12, 2021 2:07 AM

[quote]It's weird that he had a small part in On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.

And I made it even smaller.

by Anonymousreply 64May 12, 2021 7:00 PM

Five Easy Pieces is one of my favourite films. And he was excellent as the astronaut in Terms of Endearment. I always find him entertaining to watch but he is a horrible person. Has the same entitled asshole, endlessly punchable face as Don Henley. One has to wonder about the damage Anjelica Houston has to screw around with the likes of Nicholson and Ryan O'Neal.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2021 10:24 PM

r65 and he and Henley are former good pals. Lived down the road from each other on Mulholland during their party animal bachelor heyday in the 80s and early 90s, sharing hookers, girlfriends, dealers and a lot of drugs and booze. Makes sense that they give off the same douchey vibe.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2021 10:41 PM

He creeps me out .

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2021 4:53 AM

I think he was once a very great actor, even if I wouldn't put him in my personal pantheon. He was a true star, could play complicated characters, had more range than one might think, and could be very daring in his choices. That said, I'm never really "moved" by his performances in the way I can be by, say, a Gene Hackman or young Pacino. Once we get to Terms of Endearment, I think he was at his best in comedic roles. Actually, he's a very sly comedic actor (About Schmidt). But he got fat and greedy and lazy like De Niro and the rest of them. I think it's a pretty open secret he has dementia and has not been well for several years.

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2021 11:51 AM

He's almost always good but not GREAT, young Pacino and Hackman are leagues above him as actors, and De Niro, though less compelling, has been in more movies I like. Besides Five Easy Pieces and The Last Detail I've only really loved Jack when he's had meaty (or not) supporting roles - Tommy, Easy Rider, Batman. I agree that he's at his best with a comedic undercurrent.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is an overrated performance - again, good but not great.

by Anonymousreply 69September 30, 2021 2:50 PM

Yes Davida, Jack Nicholson is a Satanist. His heart is evil and he ruined women.

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2021 4:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!