Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will The 93rd Oscars Go Down In TV History As The Most Epic Failure Ever?

It is certainly seeming that way.

Poor Soderbergh

by Anonymousreply 170April 30, 2021 8:23 PM

Wokeness causes anything to fail so yeah

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2021 12:42 AM

I used to watch it religiously, but I haven't watched the Oscars in many years.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2021 12:43 AM

Yes. FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2021 12:45 AM

I hate that they’re not showing clips of the performances.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2021 12:46 AM

I didn't even know tonight was the night! I used to love the Oscars, but not anymore. The films aren't as good or interesting, and politics have taken over. I just don't have much interest anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2021 12:47 AM

OP may be right. Watching it now. Maudlin and boring.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2021 12:51 AM

"Boring" seems to be the most common descriptor on Twitter and other social media.

I think people would have forgiven the Wokeness some if it had been interesting.

But it's like watching paint dry

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2021 12:51 AM

I'm sure between the COVID pandemic and BLM protests, the motivation was to do a solemn and dignified Oscars, but they missed the mark and we're getting boring and preachy. And no clips of any of the work nominated?!

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2021 12:54 AM

I used to make it a point to see as many Oscar nominees in the theater. This is the first year I don't even know who's nominated and don't care to find out. I haven't even bothered to watch the films that are already available for streaming on Amazon and Netflix. What a comedown.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2021 12:54 AM

I think this is the first year where I also haven't seen any of the nominated movies.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2021 12:55 AM

I really find it difficult to empathize with any of the nominees. The woke grandstanding has not only turned me off of these actor's personal lives but their films as well.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2021 12:56 AM

The most privileged people in the world lecturing the rest of us during a pandemic where so many people are suffering emotionally and financially is just really distasteful. Fortunately there are a lot of good films from the past that I can enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2021 12:59 AM

I think it's just that we're living through a difficult time, probably a return to normal Oscars next year.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2021 1:00 AM

Luckily no one will watch. After over a year of indescribable human misery and suffering the last thing anyone wants to do is watch a bunch of millionaires pat themselves on the back and lecture all of us

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2021 1:00 AM

The choice to not show clips was fatal.

Given how few people have seen so many of the nominees it would at least give some context

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2021 1:06 AM

One of the main reasons why the Oscars were created was to advertise and market their movies. Not showing any clips is just dumb. They couldn't even get that right.

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2021 1:10 AM

Correct, R12.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2021 1:11 AM

LET THEM ALL TALK: THE SEQUEL

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2021 1:14 AM

It's like watching several hours of the technical awards only not as interesting.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2021 1:24 AM

Hectoring is the word I would use to describe what has happened in film, and the rest of traditional media. Hectoring, and pandering to an astounding level of ignorance because they believe everyone watching is beneath them, aka a moron. Even though they'd never say that word out loud. That's pretty much all there is.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2021 1:24 AM

I'm watching a movie from 1931 instead.

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2021 1:28 AM

9 to 5?

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2021 1:29 AM

Which one R21?

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2021 1:30 AM

R21 City Streets, starring Sylvia Sidney, Gary Cooper, and Guy Kibbee

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2021 1:30 AM

I mean R23 City Streets, starring Sylvia Sidney, Gary Cooper, and Guy Kibbee

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2021 1:31 AM

I've seen City Streets, it's pretty good. I'd also rather watch that than any film nominated this year.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2021 1:32 AM

Thanks for info R21, 24,25.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2021 1:33 AM

Honestly, watching reruns of Family Ties is a better use of my time.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2021 1:34 AM

Maybe the real goal was to tank this year’s ceremony so that Netflix or Amazon could buy the rights from ABC. Because I don’t think I’ve seen a worse Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2021 1:40 AM

I was gonna watch this year, but I've got to give Brownie a flea dip.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2021 1:41 AM

Hopefully this will be the last time it's broadcast. It literally couldn't get any worse or be any more irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2021 1:42 AM

Man, imagine if your Cadillac and this is your main marketing vehicle to be relevant and interesting to a new audience. You might as well go back to the fossils.

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2021 1:43 AM

R25 I'll watch anything pre-Code.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2021 1:43 AM

JESUS CHRIST THEY WONT SHUT UP

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2021 1:44 AM

It should be part of the in memoriam celebration.

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2021 1:44 AM

All guest received expensive designer gift bags. Meanwhile the area was fenced off due to greater visibility of homeless people. Guests were also told that they could remove their masks during commercial breaks.

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2021 1:49 AM

COVID has thrown everything off, to be fair, although the Oscars have been losing their magic. TV is bigger than ever with Netflix et al.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2021 2:45 AM

Shoulda watched The Oscar instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2021 2:49 AM

no, its innovative and fun

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2021 2:50 AM

It's like some middle management banquet as written by Spike Lee. And oh dear, Glenn Close...

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2021 2:51 AM

I heard a rumor that Glenn won for playing MeMaw in "Hillbilly Elegy"

I guess the Oscars just don't mean what they used to...

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2021 2:59 AM

As per my tradition, I did watch all the Best Picture nominees, which were all good, save “Mank.” Ugh. I don’t understand the choice of Union Station, but it is a gorgeous building. The wokeness pandering is just too much though.

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2021 2:59 AM

i found Minari merely ....ok

by Anonymousreply 43April 26, 2021 3:03 AM

This Oscar will end marriages...between my sighs, eye rolls and muttering my spouse was so annoyed, haha! But really, I could produce a better show. Don't mention the pandemic, social justice or politics. And for chrissakes, mute the lighting. I've been to Union Station a few times and it doesn't need to look like the concession stand at a high school football game. If any Hollywood production staff reads this blog for the sake of all that is beautiful and pure please bring back art and escapism. Enough with the Baptist sermons on justice and the cult fundamentalism.

by Anonymousreply 44April 26, 2021 3:08 AM

The Supertrain of award shows.

Disgraceful.

If the LAPD shot the show's producers on video tonight, the case wouldn't get beyond the grand jury.

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2021 3:11 AM

sad that the sad film Nomadland is sweeping......miss day was robbed, carey too

bummer, hopkins won....boo!

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2021 3:14 AM

The worst. Truly. The absolute worst.

I longed for that Snow Whiye musical number or the Stars of the Future segment to show up. This. Sucked.

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2021 3:15 AM

QuestLove ruined it for me....too tv.

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2021 3:16 AM

alll that poor funky house music, icky

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2021 3:17 AM

[quote] I used to make it a point to see as many Oscar nominees in the theater.

This is so revealing. It’s always been a basic bitch marketing exercise that allows people to think they have taste.

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2021 3:17 AM

At least the lady from ma rainey lost !!!!! YAY

by Anonymousreply 51April 26, 2021 3:17 AM

Very happy for Sir Anthony!

by Anonymousreply 52April 26, 2021 3:24 AM

My children just explained to me that what poor G. was doing is called “twerking.” Isn’t that sweet.

by Anonymousreply 53April 26, 2021 3:26 AM

It was like a film school graduation. There was no effort to entice viewers to watch any of the films. Are they assuming that there is no box office to enhance? Who was the hammy drag queen pretending to be Angela Bassett?

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2021 3:29 AM

agree, total crap sophomore attempt.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2021 3:33 AM

mank was my fave, a real movie....bummer they shut out

hopkins for the win? fuk NO

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2021 3:33 AM

R20 To a degree, the harridans are right. Most people are artless imbeciles, just look at the popularity of superhero films in the past 20 years. But Hollywood forgets the film patrons who enjoy neither populist garbage NOR elitist hectoring. Once they lose that group, the industry is as good as dead.

by Anonymousreply 57April 26, 2021 3:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 26, 2021 3:41 AM

Regina King needs to take a seat with Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 59April 26, 2021 3:41 AM

MA RAINEY BEST HAIR/MAKE UP ????? WHAT A JOKE

by Anonymousreply 60April 26, 2021 3:54 AM

I also agree with r20.

by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2021 4:07 AM

[quote] But Hollywood forgets the film patrons who enjoy neither populist garbage NOR elitist hectoring.

I wish Hollywood would make entertaining thrillers and mysteries. That's one genre that doesn't get much attention these days.

by Anonymousreply 62April 26, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote]I wish Hollywood would make entertaining thrillers and mysteries.

They tried.

by Anonymousreply 63April 26, 2021 4:13 AM

Manc was robbed

by Anonymousreply 64April 26, 2021 4:15 AM

Agreed, only false not in that film was Amanda S.

by Anonymousreply 65April 26, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote] But Hollywood forgets the film patrons who enjoy neither populist garbage NOR elitist hectoring. Once they lose that group, the industry is as good as dead.

Oh pls this melodrama. The only metric that counted has always been $$$.

by Anonymousreply 66April 26, 2021 5:02 AM

weird that folks dont know that most awards/nominations in all shows are bought and sold like whores....

by Anonymousreply 67April 26, 2021 5:34 AM

Used to love the glamour. Now it all feels contrived and silly. These showbiz people need to stick to their knitting and leave the world's problems to the grown ups. I guess I just lost all interest when they got all preachy.

by Anonymousreply 68April 26, 2021 5:41 AM

I find it funny that the Minari actress dissed her executive producer Brad Pitt on national tv for being absent/not being hands on when they were filming and only meeting the casts on Oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 69April 26, 2021 6:03 AM

Ha, I caught slash kind of loved that too, R69.

by Anonymousreply 70April 26, 2021 6:09 AM

this year was just terrible. people wore crocs, baseball hats and sunglasses ffs. this ain't the mtv music awards.

by Anonymousreply 71April 26, 2021 6:11 AM

She also called Brad’s company for the extremely low budget even for an American film. I guessed 2021 is not Brad’s year, huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 26, 2021 6:18 AM

Surprisingly, what I missed the most was the orchestra to play people off the stage. The director and Questlove weren't about to ask anyone to cut their speeches short.

by Anonymousreply 73April 26, 2021 6:22 AM

I'm so much better than you. Hear me, really listen to me, see me, but not in the traditional superficial way, even though you will never, ever really know me. Pretend that I am above all of that because of my superficial cues that we're all supposed to pretend that are new to the viewing public, that are absolute idiots. We're going to pretend that this is important while we pander to the idiots in the world. That's the new global view. And we're all going to pretend that it's the best thing ever.

And good for you Glenn for never winning an Oscar. You're in good company.

by Anonymousreply 74April 26, 2021 6:24 AM

Of course Boris the Nazi Incel and his poorly disguised sock puppets are just using Oscars as another excuse to shit on minorities and demonize the social justice smug whites and rednecks depend on.

How many different ways can you say “actors shouldn’t preach” before you go back to blindly obeying the sermons of shallow, show business airheads like Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump?

What a small, worm-like existence you lead when dissing underprivileged minorities is your only joy in life and your only accomplishment is lying to yourself that your skin or gender makes you superior?

You’re the cancer that everyone hates and your rooting for the LAPD to kill artists is particular proof that you’re a suck, evil sack of shit.

You’ll have lots of time to share your opinions with Adolf himself when you join his full-body skewer on the hot coals of Hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 26, 2021 6:25 AM

r75 people want GLAMOUR not lectures.

by Anonymousreply 76April 26, 2021 6:27 AM

R75 One can agree with the social justice sentiments while also finding the Oscars to be an ill-considered venue for all of the sanctimonious hectoring that comes along with their expression.

by Anonymousreply 77April 26, 2021 6:34 AM

i only saw Nomadland and liked it, despite naysayers. I could understand it though; i was homeless for 6 months and living out of my car. i was able to draw some parallels as to wanting to be somewhat free from societal norms. i appreciate Frances McDormand's dedication to the experience, and also that most of the cast didn't know this was actually a movie being filmed and not a docu. i love that it wasn't some fucking superhero BS or re-make...it was innovative and addressed some real shiat that is taking place in America today. Also, sometimes, we all just don't want to do a farking 9-5 nightmare where we are working to pay for the overpriced roof over our heads for an unfulfilling life. probably an uneducated opinion since i didn't see the other movies.

by Anonymousreply 78April 26, 2021 6:35 AM

All the good stuff is on cable and streaming now.

by Anonymousreply 79April 26, 2021 6:35 AM

What would r77 be without “sanctimonious hectoring?” We hear it all day, every day from him.

And if I had a nickel every time people who blindly heap money and power on hereditary real estate barons, oil tycoons and Russian mafiarchs while calling black actors who came from nothing “elitists,” I’d be an elitist.

by Anonymousreply 80April 26, 2021 6:50 AM

R80 That riposte was too clever and sophisticated by half. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 81April 26, 2021 7:00 AM

R75 actually believes the woke shit coming from these people. Like anybody who believes in the Oscars has anybody else's concern's at heart. R75 you are truly a very stupid individual. You make liberal ideology a joke. Are you really Greg Gutfeld?

by Anonymousreply 82April 26, 2021 7:15 AM

I can't watch one more fucking thing about slavery or the Civil Rights Movement. Sorry, I can't. I've just fucking had enough of both of those periods of history.

by Anonymousreply 83April 26, 2021 7:26 AM

They used to never show clips.

by Anonymousreply 84April 26, 2021 7:34 AM

It will be much better next year with a Royal Duchess hosting it.

by Anonymousreply 85April 26, 2021 7:51 AM

i found nomandland most depressing and zero.

by Anonymousreply 86April 26, 2021 11:08 AM

I must admit the ending of the show was rather satisfying to see. They switched up the order of the awards to set up a tearjerker ending, the deification of Chadwick Bowman. But they didn't reckon that the voting results might not conform with their expectations. Also gratifying to see Viola Davis lose. I bet she's going to be cussing out the minions in her life for the next few weeks.

And an Oscar show, a show designed to promote movies, rarely showing clips of the movies nominated? Especially when most of the films up for honors were barely seen? Really odd.

I did like the Union Station setting, it was different. I didn't miss the musical numbers at all.

The Glenn Close/Da Butt thing was cringeworthy. That joke was done much better and more efficiently 41 years ago in Airplane when Barbara Billingsley spoke "jive". And there have been too many comedies made over the years in which there is a scene in which uptight white people, exposed to Black music, start getting down and funky in their uptight white way. Cliched.

by Anonymousreply 87April 26, 2021 12:06 PM

I despise Lyndon Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 88April 26, 2021 12:07 PM

The internet and social media have rendered award shows wholly irrelevant. The masses simply do not need these shows to see or learn about the films or the performers, many of which are overexposed due to social media.

by Anonymousreply 89April 26, 2021 12:58 PM

Maybe move it back to radio—or podcast. Make it more intimate.

by Anonymousreply 90April 26, 2021 1:01 PM

Yon Yuh-jung gave the best speech of the evening. She was funny. She even joked that she may have won just because she was Korean. Nice poke to the woke crowd.

And R20 is right.

by Anonymousreply 91April 26, 2021 1:09 PM

The Oscars are part popularity contest, part award for excellence in film, but always a three hour plus commercial for the movie industry. How can you not show people what they are getting by not showing clips of the films? Especially when the industry is trying to rebound from a pandemic that has cost them a lot of money. That was a glaring mistake. By not having it at the Dolby, again, big mistake. People could’ve been socially distanced and had that intimate feel like they did with the 2009 show. It lost a lot of grandeur by moving it inside a train station. Even though it looked good before the show where a lot of attendees were outside hob knobbing at tables instead of just filing into a theater.

The ending was horrible. Setting it up with best actor last thinking Boseman was going to win was ridiculous. Best pic always comes last. Not having last years best actor present best actress and vice versa. I’m unsure why they shook that up with Joaquin and Renee. Things like that, and not adhering to Oscar tradition, drive me nuts. Even though Hopkins and McDormand winning were shockers, it wasn’t enough to make me like this ceremony enough. Really just average at best.

by Anonymousreply 92April 26, 2021 1:14 PM

Not bad with Riz looking as gorgeous and classy as he did. And Lakeith in a jumpsuit, very hot.

by Anonymousreply 93April 26, 2021 1:32 PM

While a tiny minority people are trying to create controversy about Boseman not winning, the vast majority of people no longer care. To be fair, Oscars has been politicized for decades but this is shameless pandering at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 26, 2021 2:17 PM

I shoulda swept in every category, honky cracka muthafuckas!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 26, 2021 3:21 PM

There are three big problems with the Oscars:

- it's lost what little credibility it had for merit and excellence; and therefore,

- lost it's unique position among awards shows. It's really the People's Choice awards with lipstick on that pig.

- the broadcast itself has long been tedious. It should be Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, Director, Movie, Soundtrack, original song (so they can do big performance numbers), screenplay and three technical categories - cinematography, editing, special effects

by Anonymousreply 96April 26, 2021 3:30 PM

WHAT ABOUT A TRANS CATEGORY?!!!!! WAKE UP EVERYONE!!!!

by Anonymousreply 97April 26, 2021 3:50 PM

[83] Would you prefer another round of WW II and Holocaust films? More super hero nonsense? More space westerns? Spy thrillers? Of all the possible genres the civil rights and slave genres are two of the least explored.

by Anonymousreply 98April 26, 2021 3:55 PM

I think we’re headed for a dystopia, unfortunately. I thought maybe not, but I really believe life will get much worse.

by Anonymousreply 99April 26, 2021 3:56 PM

It gave us this gem, so I can't complain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 26, 2021 3:58 PM

R98 I honestly miss the thrillers and mysteries that were so popular around the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 101April 26, 2021 3:58 PM

I'm tired of the superhero and WW2 stuff as well. That doesn't mean it can't be done in an interesting way. I thought Inglorious Bastards and Kickass were interesting takes on pretty stale genres. Biopics have to go. Bohemian Rhapsody was crap and yet it still won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2021 4:00 PM

I tell you something, homos! There are certain things missing in American (Hollywood) cinema, which I now call 'European sensibilities' (excluding the Brits). In American cinema, there is no Pedro Almodovar-like director, producing fiery and passionate movies with relatable and interesting female characters and large female ensemble casts rooted in an everyday, hoi polloi world. In Hollywood, there is also cannot be found the sensitivity of French cinema and the earthiness of mostly boring Bergman movies. The auteurs are missing. I think Hollywood should nominate and honour more European movies. That would make it more diverse as well.

by Anonymousreply 103April 26, 2021 4:17 PM

R96 got it exactly right on his 3 points, especially the first one. I would only differ slightly on the third point, that even those three technical categories shouldn't be aired (they can be awarded in a separate ceremony like they do for others).

by Anonymousreply 104April 26, 2021 4:34 PM

Le sigh. Anyone that has mentioned ‘pandering’ - for the first 90 years of its existence the entire industry pandered to white people, audiences, actors, producers etc etc. unless you’re an actual white supremacist this fact is undeniable. For you all to get so upset that the last two years have had some non white winners is so intellectually weak. Get over it.

As an example I remember people complaining that the accents in Oliver stones dumb Alexander movie weren’t authentic sounding because he used non English accents for a historical movie. Tells you all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 105April 26, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote]Hopefully this will be the last time it's broadcast. It literally couldn't get any worse or be any more irrelevant.

I agree. I couldn’t watch more than 2 minutes it was so bad. Award shows just seem so old fashioned now, and of course, it doesn’t help that most celebrities now are untalented and unlikeable.

by Anonymousreply 106April 26, 2021 4:47 PM

I wonder why the ratings haven’t been released yet. They must have been really bad.

by Anonymousreply 107April 26, 2021 4:51 PM

I’m glad he just smiled and chuckled. And shrugged. The only people who look bad are the insecure gay guys.

by Anonymousreply 108April 26, 2021 4:53 PM

Or trans...whatever.

by Anonymousreply 109April 26, 2021 4:53 PM

R93 = Riz

Hello, nice of you to stop by DL!

by Anonymousreply 110April 26, 2021 4:55 PM

They're out now R107. Down big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 26, 2021 4:56 PM

The woke doesn’t watch. Can we tell them to fuck off already?

by Anonymousreply 112April 26, 2021 4:57 PM

How to improve the Oscar broadcast:

1. Ban all that "Red Carpet" baloney and any shows showing arrivals, early interviews, etc. Too much. Also open the show with everyone seated. I don't need to see anyone walking through anywhere. Start the show.

2. Stop putting all the "A-List" stars in the front row. I can't be the only one who hated seeing the disgusting Jack Nicholson sitting there every year. Mix them up. OK, put them in aisle seats so they don't have to climb over everyone, but do a lottery and place them throughout the theater. One of my early memories of the Oscar broadcast was seeing Susan Hayward running down the long aisle toward the stage when her name was called for "Best Actress", which showed her excitement and added to the fun of the show. More of this, please.

3. Cut the big musical numbers. Perhaps show a film clip featuring part of the score or song that was nominated.

4. Drop any of those cutesy connect with the stars in the audience bits, including the selfies with the host (was that Ellen?), the bus load of tourists (wasn't one of the guys right out of prison, talking to Streep?) and was there a pizza delivery too? STOP THAT SHIT. This bunch is too over privileged as it is.

5. Stop the stupid patter from the presenters. Get on, read the nominees, open the envelope, hand over the statue, back up out of camera range and then depart. Most of the presenters can't talk on their own, or worse seize the moment to inflict their unwelcome comments on the audience.

6. Start the show with a talented comedian (if you can combine with film clips like Billy Crystal did, all the better) who punctures as much hot air as possible and then leaves. He can come on at the end to finish it off, but that's it.

7. Back to the dress code. If anyone, nominee, presenter or guest, shows up inappropriately attired, they are refused entry and escorted out, and never invited back. Baseball caps and tennis shoes last night?- tacky, tacky, tacky.

I'm sure I can think of other things, but these would speed up the show and consequently improve the mood of the audience. Both in person or at home.

by Anonymousreply 113April 26, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote] Stop putting all the "A-List" stars in the front row. I can't be the only one who hated seeing the disgusting Jack Nicholson sitting there every year.

Are you a wokester or something? Jack Nicholson is a legend. I don't think the Oscars can be saved at this point. It has little to do with the ceremony. Comedy has become too safe. The Oscars were never considered edgy but the hosts still used to poke fun. People are not interested in movies that are meant to lecture or shame and not entertain. The pandemic has also exposed how hypocritical most of Hollywood's elite is, and this was only a few years after Harvey Weinstein. People also don't need to watch Oscars for the fashion, since manufactured PR is now handled on social media. Moreover, people don't need the Oscars for movie recommendations when there is already since there is so much niche content out there, that if someone who only likes to watch films with African American casts can do so. I already have a full plate of gay movies, most of which are foreign and which American audiences probably never heard of. There are also too many awards shows as it is which doesn't help.

And if I want to go to an actual theatre, I want the spectacle. I don't want indie dramas or docudramas. Sorry. There are so many options now with streaming along with so many options for not just film but TV. The Oscars are truly dead and it's all for the best.

by Anonymousreply 114April 26, 2021 5:12 PM

WAAAAAAAHHH!!! WAAAAAAAHHH!!! HOLLYWOOD WANTS PEOPLE TO BE TREATED FAIRLY!! THEY WANT TO EQUATE BLACK PEOPLE AND WOMEN WITH MYSELF!!! THEY'RE THE SHITTY PEOPLE AND I'M THE SAINT! WAAAAAHHH!!!

You're a scumbag and a psychopath, Boris, and behind most of the posts on this thread. If only I knew how to W&W my own posts like you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2021 5:14 PM

Nah, I still loved them and SO much less of a train wreck than the Grammies herding nominees together in designer masks or the hideous Globes. This looked like a homage to old days when awards were in Roosevelt Hotel ballroom and not televised. Released;and nice. Did miss the clips though.

Still, the fact that Frances Mc and Hopkins won the big acting awards is proof that it still has pedigree and isn't all politics. They clearly were setting up a Boseman win by making it the last of the night, the big emotional high, even moved Best Picuire earlier as if a reel had been switched -- and then whomp whomp, Hopkins wins and isn't even there. I laughed my ass off actually. But it does show integrity, not a fix for more exciting TV.

by Anonymousreply 116April 26, 2021 5:14 PM

If the show didn't pander so hard it would have been a good show. Almost every single element of the show was pure pander. A little goes a long way next time.

by Anonymousreply 117April 26, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote] Jack Nicholson is a legend

Groan. None of these people are important. It’s just acting. You need to reconfigure your life and what you place value in.

by Anonymousreply 118April 26, 2021 5:15 PM

Then what are you doing here R118?

by Anonymousreply 119April 26, 2021 5:16 PM

Godammit, there are still people who believe in fairness. Life is so unfair!

by Anonymousreply 120April 26, 2021 5:16 PM

Let's compare the net worth of Jack Nicholson ($400 million) ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2021 5:18 PM

they should just focus on films and stay off the politics!

People tune in to escape the horrors of reality, not be reminded of them.

by Anonymousreply 122April 26, 2021 5:19 PM

... with Boris the Nazi Incel (—$2 million).

Sucks to be cut off from that Russian mafia cash when you took out too many loans based on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 26, 2021 5:19 PM

R119 teasing the desperate gays that form their personalities from celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 124April 26, 2021 5:20 PM

The " Everyone is a Boris the Nazi Incel" troll is unhinged and needs her meds asap!

by Anonymousreply 125April 26, 2021 5:22 PM

Trolling then R124. Revaluate your life, kween.

by Anonymousreply 126April 26, 2021 5:22 PM

R126 I think of it more as a wake up call, charity work of sorts. It’s not trolling, I truly believe they’re desperate and need guidance to escape from the celeb adulation charade.

by Anonymousreply 127April 26, 2021 5:26 PM

r119 has identified Boris the Nazi Incel and that Boris's main objective is to spread right-wing propaganda only on DL; to denigrate and demoralize liberals and use sock puppets and self-W&Ws to fabricate a false sense of consensus around his vicious, bigoted and warped view of the world.

DL used to be a place where gays who love show business (like most gays) would come to gossip. But we all loved pop culture and admitted the positive impact it can have on making our lives richer, better informed, empathetic and entertained.

But thanks to Boris, you will find insults and an abject disregard all show business on DL with as many accusations of pedophilia rings as he can muster. He will constantly refer to Hollywood as "a cess pit" and "prostitution." He will say things like, "NYC club music was never a profitable business" and that everyone always hated it. He's a sick, loveless, sanctimonious sociopath who gets livid anytime someone is having more fun than him.

DL has become more like DEADLINE — full of fundie, right-wing hate and horse shit.

Boris is here to make you vote for the likes of Trump and there's no thread he won't try to pervert in that direction. Thanks, Muriel!

by Anonymousreply 128April 26, 2021 5:34 PM

R128-- And it still sucked. What the fuck is your point? No troll can make the awards interesting or exciting, and we have all had enough of rich mf'ers preaching to us about things that never affect them.

by Anonymousreply 129April 26, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote] But we all loved pop culture and admitted the positive impact it can have on making our lives richer, better informed, empathetic and entertained.

Yet you are the one who shits on the last 100 years of pop culture thinking only the last 2 matters. Please save us your sanctimonious bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 130April 26, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote] But thanks to Boris, you will find insults and an abject disregard all show business on DL with as many accusations of pedophilia rings as he can muster. He will constantly refer to Hollywood as "a cess pit" and "prostitution."

Boris, whoever the fuck that is, isn't the one who made #metoo a thing. Most people with common sense realize that metoo was only meant for a few sacrificial lambs.

by Anonymousreply 131April 26, 2021 5:42 PM

So, just to be clear:

THERE IS NO THING THAT HOLLYWOOD WILL EVER DO THAT WILL EARN THE APPROVAL OF r131.

His multiple sock puppets on this thread and DL at large will ONLY find fault until he achieves his sick political agenda of wiping out all freedom of speech and art that makes anyone feel good or suggests a right winger is doing something wrong.

YOU ARE NOT DEALING WITH AN HONEST BROKER.. YOU'RE DEALING WITH A SOCIOPATHIC TROLL THAT RATINGS WILL NEVER IMPRESS.

by Anonymousreply 132April 26, 2021 5:52 PM

R113 I agree with you but think a lot of people tune in to see the glam red carpet. I haven't watched this but who dared show up wearing their lounge Wear?

Glenn's dress was horrid and she's put on weight.

Did Anthony Hopkins have a rep accept or at least send a video in the event he did win? I know he wasn't considered a likely win but he was dedinately more likely than the other 3 male nominees.

by Anonymousreply 133April 26, 2021 6:00 PM

r132 clearing with you self WW you gave yourself YOU are the sock puppet, hon. Noe TAKE YOUR MEDS, LOSER !!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 134April 26, 2021 6:00 PM

Ignore the "everyone I don't like is a Boris!!!" troll and watch half the thread go poof.

by Anonymousreply 135April 26, 2021 6:04 PM

R132 There was a fun thread on 80s teen movies which was derailed by someone claiming how awful and racist everything 80s was. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same person so offended that we criticize pop culture which he decided to embrace all of a sudden because it makes people feel good.

by Anonymousreply 136April 26, 2021 6:06 PM

Yeah, play dumb.

Pretend nobody can tell it’s largely the same shitstain who dumps a right-wing manifesto and hate bomb on liberals in every thread.

by Anonymousreply 137April 26, 2021 6:26 PM

Wow there are some really poorly constructed sentences happening here. This thread has become very difficult to follow.

by Anonymousreply 138April 26, 2021 6:27 PM

how did a minority with 18% of the population take control of the oscars, tv, ads, and ever god damn thing????

by Anonymousreply 139April 27, 2021 7:21 AM

Soderbergh tried something. It didn't work. Hollywood, as we understood it, is just over.

I can't believe I've lived to see the end of Hollywood movies as a dominant cultural force. And television. 20 years ago, I couldn't imagine a life where the television set wasn't a major hub of daily activity in my home. That day has come.

Hollywood stars are over. They've been replaced with a bunch of idiots living in Calabasas. It's really a bizarre thing to witness.

by Anonymousreply 140April 27, 2021 7:40 AM

[quote]Hollywood stars are over. They've been replaced with a bunch of idiots living in Calabasas. It's really a bizarre thing to witness.

As sad as that is, it's really true.

by Anonymousreply 141April 27, 2021 1:30 PM

I don't get the Calabasas reference. Isn't that just an LA suburb?

by Anonymousreply 142April 27, 2021 1:45 PM

Calabasas is where the Kardashians, Bieber and lots of reality people/Influencers live. It's the hive of trash celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 143April 27, 2021 1:48 PM

I see, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 144April 27, 2021 1:50 PM

Perhaps a streaker could have livened things up?

by Anonymousreply 145April 27, 2021 2:08 PM

Hollywood has got to start making movies again that are not simply epic superhero/fantasy OR woke feel-bad movies.

They're got to be something else they can offer.

by Anonymousreply 146April 27, 2021 2:10 PM

WHEN WOKE SHIT IS OVER TV SHOWS AND FLIX WILL BE BAK TO NORMAL.....HOPEFULLY

by Anonymousreply 147April 29, 2021 11:09 AM

So they shifted Best Actor to the last award? Why? Because they thought Boseman was going to win? Sounds like pandering to me.

The Academy doesn't understand that going woke to avoid getting slammed on twitter, they'll still get slammed anyway ... on twitter. lmao

I used to watch religiously. Yes, it was ridiculous - everyone knew it - but that's what made it fun. I was there for the glamour, the stars, and the movies. I wouldn't watch it now if you paid me.

by Anonymousreply 148April 29, 2021 12:19 PM

Yes, R148. It was pandering.

And insulting.

Insulting to Boseman (if he had won) by treating is as "different" from other Best Actor winners. Instead of awarding the statue to him as an equal to other men who had been nominated and won in other years.

And insulting to the 4 other actors who were nominated because it was so obviously done for Boseman which meant that any of the other 4 nominees who could have won would have their award attacked by Boseman loonies.

by Anonymousreply 149April 29, 2021 4:32 PM

R148/R149 pandering is the over-representation of white people in every sphere in the US. Wealth / political representation at all levels / media presence / positions of power etc etc etc. you’re both clearly biased so it’s harder for you to see that, but you go look up the population breakdown and then glance at the representation in Congress and then get back to me about ‘pandering’.

by Anonymousreply 150April 29, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote]Will The 93rd Oscars Go Down In TV History As The Most Epic Failure Ever?

No. That distinction still belongs to the last season of Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 151April 29, 2021 5:03 PM

Once again, Al Capone's vault is nothing!?!

by Anonymousreply 152April 29, 2021 5:09 PM

R150 You do realize that white people make up 73% of the US population, right?

by Anonymousreply 153April 30, 2021 7:05 AM

And whites make up 77% of the current congress. So they're slightly overrepresented, but not overwhelmingly so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 30, 2021 10:39 AM

R154 Ummmmm did you read the graph in your own link about white over-representation? It literally says on the graph that white (non hispanic) people make up 60% of the population while holding 77% of the seats in Congress. Come on now

by Anonymousreply 155April 30, 2021 3:47 PM

No the lily white Up With People salute to Motown half time show at the 1982 Super Bowl is the worst thing ever televised

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 30, 2021 4:07 PM

R155 That's easy to explain. Immigrants from Mexico and Central America have risen dramatically only in the last few decades. They have been here a relatively short time. The fact that whites may still be somewhat overrepresented has more to do with nepotism and corporate lobbying than racism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 30, 2021 4:57 PM

And despite left wing propaganda about white supremacy, whites largely do no vote for other white people just because of their race. Rich white people don't care at all about underprivileged white people.

by Anonymousreply 158April 30, 2021 5:00 PM

I guess you can say that black celebrities, especially ones who campaign for silly awards, don't really care about poor blacks either. Their political grandstanding is all for show.

by Anonymousreply 159April 30, 2021 5:03 PM

R157 girl I was correcting the last poster that had her numbers wrong. Nobody asked you to butt in with your weird specious explanation for the overrepresentation of white people in congress that blames Central Americans (??) ok?

And I don’t know what your definition of ‘somewhat’ is but it’s over representation by 30% with respect to population. That’s big. I suppose that’s also someone some Mexican persons fault is it? Lol

by Anonymousreply 160April 30, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote] whites largely do no vote for other white people just because of their race

Especially when compared to other racial groups. However, the fact that they don't automatically support other unqualified candidates just because their race is spun into this white supremacy narrative.

by Anonymousreply 161April 30, 2021 5:06 PM

White people don’t feel a requirement to vote for other people for representation because they know that the system is weighted in their favour. In order for minorities to get any representation they HAVE to vote for representatives from their demographic or it just wouldn’t happen.

There have been 9 Asian American senators. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 162April 30, 2021 5:10 PM

R160 It's because increasingly difficult for new immigrants to rise up the income ladder due to us transitioning into a technocratic economy run by a small group of elites. Considering the majority of new immigration has occurred during this period of transition, combined with those at the top consolidating more wealth and influence, has more to do with it. Unprecedented third world immigration during a period where lots of manual jobs are being replaced is another reason.

by Anonymousreply 163April 30, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote] There have been 9 Asian American senators. Ever.

Have Asians made civil rights a core issue? The Anti Asian hate campaign was largely created by white people. Asians seem to be benefiting from the system.

by Anonymousreply 164April 30, 2021 5:14 PM

R163 girl get off Twitter. While people have always been over represented in US politics, if you think that white representation in Congress is being controlled by low income immigrants then there’s not much can be done for you sorry.

by Anonymousreply 165April 30, 2021 5:15 PM

R164 yes Asian Americans are rly enjoying all the hate crimes being committed against them. Lucky them!

by Anonymousreply 166April 30, 2021 5:16 PM

R166 Yes, I'm sure refunding or "re imagining police" will take care of that problem.

by Anonymousreply 167April 30, 2021 5:18 PM

defunding ^

by Anonymousreply 168April 30, 2021 5:18 PM

R167 as I said, get off Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 169April 30, 2021 5:29 PM

R153 / R154 did u figure out your mistake? Hope that was educational for you.

by Anonymousreply 170April 30, 2021 8:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!