Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New Yorkers react to the sudden reopening

Only the NYT would have the gall to print the quote by Katheryn Wyld stating that being “on edge” is the only reason people are concerned about the recent spate of horrifying violent attacks, while also saying such worry is unfounded. Yes, let’s not blow those attacks out of proportion. Unbelievable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 15, 2022 5:51 AM

What recent spate of horrifying attacks? Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2021 9:06 PM

R1 We’ve been bombarded with stories of violent attacks on Asian Americans in NYC.

Also, random stabbings, sucker punching and shoved off subway platforms...but it’s “not fair” to be concerned about that.

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2021 9:08 PM

R2 have we? Maybe you’ve just over-exposed yourself to those stories. Idk what your ‘not fair’ bit is about, is there another thread this is referencing or something? Is this another race-bait thread?

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2021 9:15 PM

R2 Me thinks R1 was being sarcastic. NYC shootings surged 200% last week with 49 people either killed or wounded and Cuomo said Monday that he wouldn't let his own kid ride the subway.

by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2021 9:16 PM

R4 I wasn’t honest. 200% in relation to when? Try not to link a NYPost article ;)

by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2021 9:20 PM

Just took a glance at some basic stats, and while it seems shootings are higher in comparison to the last 3 years, they’re still lower than the rates over most of the last two decades. I wouldn’t stress out too much. I’m guessing neither OP nor any of the other posters live in NY, so you can take a deep breath from your inhalers and move on to the next outrage topic.

by Anonymousreply 6May 4, 2021 9:26 PM

Why not both? I hope it works. I’ll avoid theatres / concerts & eating in. I will go to museums & the beach / parks. I’ll hang with friends in open spaces. At least that’s the plan. I wonder about hunting for cock. Can’t say the idea of hooking up is high on my list. Is it a hold over from lockdown or covid heebie jeebies?

by Anonymousreply 7May 4, 2021 9:27 PM

R5 R6 Well besides 49 people killed and injured in shootings over a week what about the people being attack with hammers in 2 separate incidents last week, a man sucker- punched for his watch in Greenwich Village, a 71 year old man stomped on early Saturday, a bus driver run over and killed in an intentional road rage incident, a rape in Central Park . . .the week that was. People celebrating their anniversary were shot at Peter Luger's Steakhouse, diners at West Bank Cafe watched as an Asian woman was attacked with a hammer right in front of the restaurant. It's very random and is happening in all boroughs. Even the Governor and the head of the MTA said they wouldn't feel safe letting their children ride the subway. How bad does it have to be?

by Anonymousreply 8May 4, 2021 9:31 PM

R8 idk honestly in a city of 18m people crime will happen. Unless that’s a worrying 400% increase in sucker punches?!? Do you live in a small town? Is your expectation that in a city of 18m people that there would be no violent crime whatsoever? I’m confused, by you, you’re confusing.

Your “it’s all random and happening in all boroughs!!!1!!” bit makes you sound like you’re writing teen fiction.

by Anonymousreply 9May 4, 2021 9:38 PM

R9 So I take it you were never concerned about COVID either. After all 97.3 %of people infected recovered in a country over of 340 million . . Are you a COVID denier? You sound like one. And you are also easily confused because you misrepresented what I said. You responses are all over the place and even teen fiction is better written and more logical. And what does where someone is from have anything to do with it? You're easily triggered like so many New Yorkers it would seem.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2021 9:47 PM

I've always hated finding myself suddenly reopened.

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2021 9:51 PM

I thought the virus sets the timeline.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2021 9:53 PM

R9 Marisa Redanty a long time resident and advocate of Hell's Kitchen has described the neighborhood as a cesspool and a sewer as thousands of vagrants the city dumped in the neighborhood over the last year emerge from their homeless hotels like the Four Points Sheraton on West 40th and the Skyline on 10th Avenue day and are causing an increase in theft, drug abuse, public defecation, open-air sex and random violence making business and residents fearing a 'summer of the living dead'

by Anonymousreply 13May 4, 2021 10:00 PM

R10 girl 🙄 I’m not the one freaking out about a epidemic of sucker-punching / potential stomping. You’re clearly from some suburb of Nowhere - worry about your own cage.

by Anonymousreply 14May 4, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote] advocate of Hell's Kitchen

Wtf does this even mean. Advocate of Hell’s Kitchen? Is it a paid position? Is she a magazine? 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 15May 4, 2021 10:02 PM

R9 are you a New Yorker or from LA?

by Anonymousreply 16May 4, 2021 10:11 PM

R16 somewhere between vague question / none of ur business.

by Anonymousreply 17May 4, 2021 10:14 PM

R17 the population of NY is 8.40 million just to keep facts straight and since you got your COVID shot in South LA, me thinks you are a fabulous fabulist.

by Anonymousreply 18May 4, 2021 10:20 PM

R18 metro pop is 18m - this feels like splitting hairs. I never claimed to live in NY. I literally said in one of my comments upthread that nobody commenting on this thread lives in NY, that includes me. Your gotcha moment isn’t so gotcha sorry. But lol that you were bothered that you went to all that block / unblock trouble. Not desperate at all.

by Anonymousreply 19May 4, 2021 10:27 PM

R19 So what does metro mean? Does it include parts of NJ and Connecticut?

An 'advocate' by the way as used in R13 is a person who supports or recommends a particular cause or policy. I don't believe it is a paid position and yes, it is also the title of a publication. And I suspect an actual resident of NY knows more about what's going on in her neighborhood than you do! Though you seem to think otherwise which is interesting.

Oh, and no trouble blocking and unblocking. Less painful than reading your uniformed rants.

And take your own advice and 'worry about your own cage' and clean it . It must reek of phony like you.

by Anonymousreply 20May 4, 2021 10:55 PM

From the comments:

[quote]The infection rate now is HIGHER than it was when we first shut down in March of 2020. At least 50% of the population hasn't even gotten ONE shot. And the variants are far more transmissible and deadly.

I don’t know how accurate this is.

by Anonymousreply 21May 4, 2021 10:56 PM

The rape in Central Park was a date rape R8 - that would have happened pre-COVID. Not random. A woman in Harlem went with some guy she knew into the park after dark and he tried to rape her.

Oh and calm the fuck down. Your hysteria isn't helping. I ride the subway regularly. There are more homeless in the stations, but otherwise it has been fine.

by Anonymousreply 22May 4, 2021 11:01 PM

R20 I think you do your own research on the confines of what’s termed the metro area.

My point still stands whether it’s 18m or 8m, a certain amount of crime is expected, and not to be whinged about and dramatized.

I know what advocate means, it was terribly used in that instance. Wow you’re boring to reply to. I can’t do the rest sorry. You’re just going to misunderstand again and again, it’s not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 4, 2021 11:04 PM

There has been a nationwide increase in violent crime.

Chicago has 201 homicides to date compared to 166 in 2020

NYC has 120 ytd compared to 2020’s 110.

Philadelphia has 176, up from 127 in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 4, 2021 11:05 PM

NYC is a city of fools. Have fun spending $2300 a month on a 300sq ft studio with a view of the crackhead shitting outside on your stoop 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 25May 4, 2021 11:07 PM

R23 Don't be discouraged and angry because someone saw through your pointless, baseless series of nonsensical rants. Next time stick to topics you know something about as limiting as that may be. And ironically you're the one who bothered to take the time to defend a 'cage' that has nothing to do with you and you're the one 'freaking out' And truly Jan, who'd take you seriously now? After all, if I'm so boring to reply to then why . . .?

by Anonymousreply 26May 4, 2021 11:15 PM

r25 - we see your type invade every single NYC thread and say the same thing.

It is so tired.

But sure MARY. Go off. You tell us how we are such FOOLS. And tell us all about the CRACKHEADS. And mock our 300 foot studios for $2300 (????).

by Anonymousreply 27May 4, 2021 11:16 PM

New Yorkers don't get "dizzy" about anything.

by Anonymousreply 28May 4, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote] NYC has 120 ytd compared to 2020’s 110.

Wow a 9% increase!!!! What will become of us?!?!?!?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 29May 4, 2021 11:17 PM

R22 Miss Yorkville it seems you are the one who needs to calm down and once again take you're own advice. If things are peachy keen in the bland, 76% white Snoozeville just enjoy and wander about.

by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2021 11:18 PM

Oh please R27. Anyone who spends that much to live in a glorified storage closet is a fool. And spare me “but I pay for the city! For the culture!” NYC stopped being interesting 20 years ago. It’s basically a crowded, dirty, and obscenely expensive suburb now. You might as well live in CT or Westchester, at least you’d have a yard.

by Anonymousreply 31May 4, 2021 11:20 PM

Don't you know that everything that NYC does is exactly right and done at the perfect time for the correct reasons? If only you peasants in Flyoverstan would try to understand so you could learn from us.

by Anonymousreply 32May 4, 2021 11:23 PM

FWIW there are actually seem to be far fewer homeless around Penn Station, maybe because they’ve all been moved to hotels in Hells Kitchen and the UWS?

As for Cuomo’s comment, he lives to to twist a knife in the Mayor’s back so take with a grain of salt.

It is extremely disorienting to be on a sparkly clean subway with only two other people in the car at rush hour. I moved to the city in the eighties so I always have in the back of my mind a fear of mostly empty subway cars. But so far my subway experience had been super chill with much better mask adherence than the LIRR.

by Anonymousreply 33May 4, 2021 11:24 PM

R24 Is that supposed to make people feel safer, better. It would seem to suggest avoid urban areas and this summer many tourists will.

by Anonymousreply 34May 4, 2021 11:25 PM

Word, R28

by Anonymousreply 35May 4, 2021 11:28 PM

R27 And your defensive, over reactive type invades every thread as well. People are commenting on a topic and you are commenting on them. WHY?

by Anonymousreply 36May 4, 2021 11:28 PM

R26 and R20 are replying as if they’re the same person yet not on the same account. How funny.

by Anonymousreply 37May 4, 2021 11:29 PM

R32 We did learn from you. You are thinned-skinned and easily triggered.

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2021 11:30 PM

Dizziness is a common symptom of Covid infection.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2021 11:31 PM

The woman who was attacked with a hammer on 42nd Street is returning to Taiwan until NY is safe again. At the rate it's going she may never be back.

by Anonymousreply 40May 4, 2021 11:37 PM

R40 that’s like going to Palm Springs from LA to get out of the heat.

by Anonymousreply 41May 4, 2021 11:38 PM

R41 Well Palm Springs is drier, less populated, cleaner, safer and more relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 42May 4, 2021 11:41 PM

R42 depends on where you hang out ;)

by Anonymousreply 43May 4, 2021 11:46 PM

R32 Maybe they should have lockdown sooner. It is serviced by three of the busiest international airports and being in the most densely populated area of the country lives would have been saved. The first outbreak in the Northeast was in Westchester County New York in mid-February and on March 9 De Blasio said he was not going to close the largest public school system and it took the threat from the head of the Teacher's Union to change his mind. Cuomo and De Blasio are bunglers.

by Anonymousreply 44May 4, 2021 11:51 PM

[quote]Is that supposed to make people feel safer, better. It would seem to suggest avoid urban areas and this summer many tourists will.

I live in Center City, Philadelphia, Philly being so much smaller than NYC & Chicago makes the homicide numbers that much more alarming.

I don’t know about NYC but a lot of people here are bracing themselves for wild west style lawlessness this summer.

The city is having a town hall webinar to discuss some of the “escalating safety issues” tomorrow night.

by Anonymousreply 45May 5, 2021 12:22 AM

R31 I didn’t say any of that shit you just wrote about paying for the culture etc. You don’t know anythint about the reasons I live here. Why do you care if I live in the city vs Westchester or Connecticut? Such judgment passed on strangers you will never meet.

It will never fail to amaze me the anger and bitterness New York inspires in some of you nasty old queens. I don’t comment or give one single fuck about wherever you all live - why do you give a shit about me having a YARD?

Every place has its own set of problems. Different things bother different people.

To me - New York is the greatest city in the world. A bunch of you think it’s a horrible shithole. Different strokes, different folks.

by Anonymousreply 46May 5, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote] To me - New York is the greatest city in the world.

Oh please. NYC is barely above Moscow in safety, and ranks right around Wuhan on the disease scale.

by Anonymousreply 47May 5, 2021 1:18 AM

I've been going into my office in Manhattan an average of twice a week since September. The first few months midtown was desolate. Once I get both vaccines I will probably increase going to the office to 3-4 days a week. I have observed starting last week more people walking around, so there is an uptick of tourists and workers. I would say about 95% of people outside a wearing masks, so at least the overwhelming majority are following proper protocol.

by Anonymousreply 48May 5, 2021 1:29 AM

I'm not sure that it's an entirely sensible move.

Your vaccination rate still isn't great (while moving in the right direction), it's not even as good as the UK's and they're still in partial lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 49May 5, 2021 1:39 AM

R47 what’s the ‘disease scale’? Is there a SI unit of disease? Like it’s decibels or something. Wow I wonder how some of you are able to walk out the door in the mornings you must have so much fear in your lives. Depressing!

by Anonymousreply 50May 5, 2021 1:47 AM

R6 Yes, I live in NY. Mt Vernon.

It’s annoying that the NYPost is conservative but it does report on NYC news. That includes crime.

by Anonymousreply 51May 5, 2021 3:22 AM

R 24 R29 Last week alone 49 people were killed or wounded by gun violence in New York NY you in trouble girl.

by Anonymousreply 52May 5, 2021 3:52 AM

R24 416 people have been shot citywide so far this year and increase of 72% from 2020. Fortunately most survived, but that's only small comfort. And there's been a 58% increase in pedestrians killed so far in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 53May 5, 2021 4:01 AM

R53 well you’ll get huge comfort out of the one most important statistic you failed to mention (funny that) that overall crime is down this year on last year. Great news :) also even if murders continue at the rate they are at for this year they’ll still come in at 20% of what they were in 1990 and 75% of what they were in 2001 so remember the grander historical context which is extremely significant. Factor in the year we’ve had which introduces huge potential for variation in the figures with more people exposed to emergency financial situations and you’ll see your cause for panic….well almost disappear. You’re welcome :)

by Anonymousreply 54May 5, 2021 5:32 AM

R48 Do people wear masks in your office as well?

by Anonymousreply 55May 5, 2021 5:34 AM

R51 what’s more annoying is that people come on here posting NYPost articles as if they’re not totally biased towards presenting a conservative misrepresentation of reality. And then what’s more annoying is that dumb uncritical people look at them and take it all at face value, and then we have thread after thread of dickheads falling over themselves declaring NY or LA or any larger city a warzone just like the conservatives want them to think.

by Anonymousreply 56May 5, 2021 5:37 AM

NY is much more exciting when it’s much more dangerous. Keep up the killing.

by Anonymousreply 57May 5, 2021 6:47 AM

R55 My office has alternate cubicles/desks closed so that there is more than 6 feet social distancing, so I don't wear a mask when I am at my desk. Only a couple of times when there were two or more people near me did I wear a mask. After I'm fully vaccinated I will be comfortable not wearing a mask at all in the office.

by Anonymousreply 58May 5, 2021 10:31 AM

R19- The NYC metropolitan area has a population of 20 million NOT 18 million.

by Anonymousreply 59May 5, 2021 10:48 AM

R56 Are you saying the NY Post writers are making up the crime stories? Or are you saying these crimes shouldn’t be reported at all? That’s bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 60May 5, 2021 10:48 AM

R51- Mt Vernon is practically a SLUM. No wonder you're concerned about crime. Mt Vernon was a nice place to live in 1928.

by Anonymousreply 61May 5, 2021 10:50 AM

R61 Well, according to R56, the crime reports are made up, so no, it’s actually really lovely here.

by Anonymousreply 62May 5, 2021 10:53 AM

I never understand the mania some flyover queens feel to compulsively shit on New York. Sure, it's got its flaws and its problems. Crime is going up and midtown commercial real estate is fucked.

But to post over and over and over how horrible it is here is just...weird. Like ...why do you care? Do you live here? Is where you live such a paradise that all your energy can be poured into shitting on a city you don't live in?

It's like if my whole life was consumed with screaming about how horrible Jacksonville, FL is. I mean - i bet it is horrible. I just don't care. And I have better things to do.

Switch to herbal tea? Get some rest?

by Anonymousreply 63May 5, 2021 11:09 AM

R63, it's New Yorkers who are posting terrible things about they city. The " flyovers" couldn't care less. But then, by blaming non-New Yorkers, you don't have to face the problem.

by Anonymousreply 64May 5, 2021 12:50 PM

not open for the performing arts, what ever

by Anonymousreply 65May 5, 2021 1:08 PM

As someone who has lived her for 35 years, I’m wholly unconcerned. The city got too safe. Then people started to complain about noise - shutting down clubs and arresting thousands for pot. Whatever - hopefully it keeps the pearl clutchers and SJP-wannabes away. I’m enjoying the new scene - younger, tougher, more dedicated to the urban experience.

by Anonymousreply 66May 5, 2021 2:04 PM

This is a very unpleasant discussion. But yeah, a friend said she told her Asian friend it's not a good time to visit.

by Anonymousreply 67May 5, 2021 2:05 PM

R54 Small comfort is right. Liker saying ingesting rubbing alcohol is safer than drinking bleach. Not a compelling reason for people to return to NY.

by Anonymousreply 68May 5, 2021 2:21 PM

R66 Sure Jan. Keep telling yourself that.

by Anonymousreply 69May 5, 2021 2:23 PM

R54 Where do you get your stats? I remember last March, April and May that NY was shut down due to something called COVID and crime was down because no one was around to hammer, shove, slash, shoot and assault. Crime was down in all major cities. In the last 2 weeks 99 people were shot in NY compare that to the same time last year?

by Anonymousreply 70May 5, 2021 3:16 PM

OK R64, let's pretend a cunt like you isn't totally full of shit (I think you are, but whatever). So it's a bunch of people who live in new york, compulsively and maniacally shitposting about their own home? Paranoid about crime and garbage? Whatever. It says more about their own self-loathing and personality flaws than whatever New York is going through. Maybe they should try some of that legal weed and calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 71May 5, 2021 3:27 PM

R63 I am theOP and I live in Mt Vernon, which is located in NY (look it up).

Flyoverstans don’t care about NYC crime, why would they?

by Anonymousreply 72May 5, 2021 3:34 PM

Why do suburban queens give a shit about NYC crime either? It's not like any of you boring mallwalkers ever come to the city anyway. Please stay in Mount Shitberg and never leave. We'll all be happier.

by Anonymousreply 73May 5, 2021 3:36 PM

Mount Vernon is in Westchester County. It is in New York State and many people who live there commute into New York, but it is NOT part of New York City. Unlike the Boston area the NYC subway does not extend outside the city proper although some people from Mount Vernon might drive to the Bronx to hop on the subway to save $ since MetroNorth is much more expensive. OP I don’t want to accuse you of anything, but you seem either personally confused or purposely misleading.

by Anonymousreply 74May 5, 2021 3:46 PM

I KNOW it’s not part of NYC. I was born in the Bronx. I’ve lived in and out of NYC and Brooklyn my entire life. Currently I commute to the city which involves taking the subway, etc. Most of my friends live in the city, Brooklyn, or Astoria.

The crime in the city affects me as I (unfortunely) spend most of my time there.

by Anonymousreply 75May 5, 2021 4:06 PM

R60 / R62 I’m saying that the NYPost’s editorial slant is dishonest, and purely about deception. I’m not saying don’t report the facts of crime, but it should be reported on with proper historical context. For instance, murders might be up on last year, but have been falling since the early 90s so that they’re still relatively low, but the NYPost won’t mention any of that, and ignorant people like yourself fall into that trap and come on here bemoanining the mortal dangers of leaving your house in NY. It’s embarrassing. Don’t you feel embarrassed? What do you make of the statistic that total crime between Jan-April2021 is down 15% on that of Jan-April2020? Oh you didn’t read that statistic? How interesting.

by Anonymousreply 76May 5, 2021 4:23 PM

R76 More interesting is that last year people were sheltering in place due to COVID and that March-May crime across the nation was down for obvious reasons. And your saying that crime is down this year compared to the same time last year? Something's fishy about those stats.

by Anonymousreply 77May 5, 2021 4:42 PM

[quote]The rape in Central Park was a date rape

Phew.

by Anonymousreply 78May 5, 2021 4:44 PM

R75 needs to invest in a map and a Metro Card (once he arrives for his first trip to New York, that is). Please don't overstay your Greyhound Bus special fare coupon.

by Anonymousreply 79May 5, 2021 4:55 PM

R78 Well, it wasn't rape rape! Date rape carries a penalty of up to a 2 month ban from Grindr!

by Anonymousreply 80May 5, 2021 4:56 PM

It is a relief to know you can walk through Central Park without being raped by a stranger.

by Anonymousreply 81May 5, 2021 4:58 PM

But back to hunting for cock. How's it going? Anything changed in that regard?

by Anonymousreply 82May 5, 2021 5:00 PM

Well if you hate NYC so fucking much that you feel compelled to compulsively shit on it, then may I suggest you fuck the fuck right off? Move to Pensacola where no crimes happen? Move to Tucson where you never leave your car? Move literally anywhere and complain about *there.

by Anonymousreply 83May 5, 2021 5:02 PM

There's NY tough for ya... the thick skin on R83.... lol... New Yorkers are as whiny, defensive as anywhere else... it's Yankee Doodle USA! USA! mentality with more choices for dining out.

by Anonymousreply 84May 5, 2021 5:04 PM

If Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen and UWS are "cesspools" thanks to city dumping tons of homeless, drug addicts and so forth, they only have themselves to blame.

Keep voting in woke, progressive, bleeding heart liberal democrats on city council and Albany.

by Anonymousreply 85May 5, 2021 5:10 PM

R77 🙄 I would say your ‘more interesting’ part is actually less interesting. I also said January to April - think about when lockdown occurred. Yes I’m saying crime this year is down on last year, by 15%. If you’re gonna start disbelieving basic general statistics then your need for drama in your life has allowed bias to overwhelm your rational faculties which is something you should figure out with a therapist. Maybe change up the sites you get your news from.

by Anonymousreply 86May 5, 2021 5:18 PM

I always find emoticons such a compelling argument.

by Anonymousreply 87May 5, 2021 5:19 PM

As a fellow suburban commuter who has recently returned to working in the City and who often takes the subway rather than walking from Penn Station to the office, it really doesn’t feel that scary other than the psychological issue of being on a nearly empty train R75. Now if I were Asian I’d be much more concerned, but I am not. Are you very young that you grew up in the Bronx and find the current situation scary? I ask because when I first moved to New York someone was stabbed next to me on a subway in mid-town and that was just something that happened then.

by Anonymousreply 88May 5, 2021 5:30 PM

R87 The title of this thread should be 'New Yorkers Overreact!' With all the 'random', 'unprovoked' violence maybe they should check what's in the water supply!

by Anonymousreply 89May 5, 2021 5:31 PM

R76 I don’t only go by the Post (and if there is another site with up to date NYC news, please tell me) but by what friends have told me. Some say the city is the same, some say they’re not comfortable riding on the subway.

I’ve noticed all of us have just gotten the same return to the office date, even though we work for different large companies. I suspect Di Blasio is offering incentives to bring workers back. I’m sure I’ll be told this is incorrect, but without commuters like me small businesses will close and empty/vacant storefronts lead to more crimes.

Just my two cents. I’m with those in the NYT article who aren’t happy about the sudden return. For me, isn’t so much the crime as the lengthy commute. I just found it disengenous that one week the Times is bemoaning all the anti-Asian violence and the next we’re being told such crimes aren’t significant. Can’t have it both ways....

by Anonymousreply 90May 5, 2021 5:40 PM

It has been said previously and am doing so again; there has been huge pressure on city's large employers and businesses to bring back their employees. Mayor ordered municipal employees back as of last Monday, now Goldman Sachs says they will begin that process in June, while JP Morgan and others have announced they will begin in September.

There are many reasons both political and for individual businesses to end remote WFH in whole or part. From city's view things cannot remotely begin to recover near 100% when, unless or until offices are once again filled with people. Lack of commuters, workers or whatever you want to call them is killing all sorts of small and even large businesses. Retail, restaurant, all sorts of services such as dry cleaning/laundries, shoe shine/repair... the lot are all hurting from lack of business.

The other bit is linked to social justice and equality (surprise, surprise) in that some people take exception with fact those who can and are doing WFH are often from higher income demographics. Meanwhile service and "essential" workers (who are largely minorities, and or from lower income demographics) don't have that luxury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 5, 2021 5:43 PM

Thank you R91! I suspected as much.

by Anonymousreply 92May 5, 2021 6:22 PM

R90 I don’t know how many different ways I can tell you that crime is down this year on last year. If your friends are worried about leaving their houses then I’m sorry but that’s an emotional response to irresponsible news sources - there’s not much else to say. The reality is that crime is down, as borne out by statistics. You can choose to base your life on reality or a conservative smokescreen, make whatever choice you want but just reckon with the consequences.

I also am dreading a return to office, and will resist a requirement to go back mon-fri, it’s totally unnecessary. Maybe there will be a workers revolution. I won’t hold my breath. On your point re small businesses - business models have always historically evolved to address changing social structures within a city - if WFH becomes more of a thing (and that can only be a good thing) then the city will change as a result. Change is not to be feared, it’s a natural process in the built environment.

by Anonymousreply 93May 5, 2021 6:22 PM

R87 glad you have something to cling onto 😜

by Anonymousreply 94May 5, 2021 6:24 PM

public defecation? omg, how do they know it’s not pit bull shit?

by Anonymousreply 95May 5, 2021 6:33 PM

R86 The lockdown started March 16th 2020. Show your stats. Denial and anger have clearly overwhelmed your rational faculties. People who always respond with pointless nonsense like 'you need a therapist' don't have a logical response or facts and usually need a therapist themselves.

by Anonymousreply 96May 5, 2021 6:43 PM

R92

There are other reasons including fact that all this free money (unemployment and federal extra money currently $300/week) comes to an end 6 September 2021. People have been sitting home collecting UI (in some cases pretty hefty sums) for nearly or over year and don't think even Biden will sign off on another extension.

All these people getting PUA/PEUC because they've been laid off due to their company shut down for covid-19 reasons need to get back to work. As it relates to R91 this includes cleaners and others who staff office buildings, hotels, etc....

In fact tons of various social efforts enacted in aid of covid-19 will begin expiring starting in June. Things like federal and or local moratoriums on evictions and foreclosures for residential or commercial businesses, and so forth.

NYC and NYS dodged a huge fiscal bullet in that Schumer, Biden and Pelosi stepped in and showered state and city with hundreds in billions of federal aid, but that's not likely to be repeated. City needs to open up, get tourists and office workers back and start functioning somewhat normally (whatever that is) in order to generate revenue.

by Anonymousreply 97May 5, 2021 6:53 PM

R93 What statistics? People were in lockdown March through May last year. Crime and traffic accidents were virtually nil. Subways were empty, schools and businesses were closed and the streets of NY were quiet and empty like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie. There was little activity anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 98May 5, 2021 6:55 PM

R96 here you go:

[quote] Even with the March uptick, the first three months of 2021 have proven successful for the NYPD in turning back serious crime. Between Jan. 1 and March 31 of this year, the department recorded 19,551 total major index crimes, which is down 15.8% from the number tallied in the same period of 2020.

The article is overwhelmingly negative and hysterically negative but the reality is (barely mentioned) that crime is down.

R98 same as above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 5, 2021 6:59 PM

It's so tedious the way you nasty old grandmothers want to blame young social justice people for every fucking inconvenience in your life.

There's no way for DeBlasio to *make any private company end WFH. He can't even *make Goldman Sachs stay in NYC. If Goldman Sachs is phasing out WFH it's because they want to. It has nothing to do with progressives or AOC or "the woke!" or any fucking thing you dumb crotchety eldergays whine about.

Personally, I think corporate managers want office life to return because it gratifies their ego. It's fun to be a big shot in a big office and have a bunch of people jump when you say jump. You can't do that from home. It's not the same over Zoom. Your wife's not gonna run out and get your favorite lunch. Your kids won't follow you around, writing down everything you say.

They like it and miss it and want it back.

by Anonymousreply 100May 5, 2021 7:00 PM

R95 It's the smell. Just like the reek of bullshit in all the posts claiming that crime in NY is down this year! Pit bull shit is discernable with you sense of smell; bullshit you discern by using common sense and logic.

by Anonymousreply 101May 5, 2021 7:10 PM

R100 plainly wears a hairnet on the occasions she works. You know nothing of the office. There is nothing worse.

by Anonymousreply 102May 5, 2021 7:19 PM

"sudden"???

by Anonymousreply 103May 5, 2021 7:35 PM

Who is blaming the young’uns?

They didn’t experience the extraordinary level of 1980s NYC crime, but that isn’t their fault.

by Anonymousreply 104May 5, 2021 7:36 PM

Hanging over all this is fact BdeB and large part of city government will be gone in 2021 after elections in November. Nearly entire city council will have new members, all the local borough presidents, controller, etc... will be new faces. Well in some cases not entirely "new" as term limits has produced a game of political musical chairs as those pushed out of one office run for something else, but you get the drift.

This means totally different complexion may govern city's covid response and fallout starting in January 2021, and people are already worried what form that may take.

There won't be much rest for wicked either as 2021 is statewide election year with everyone in Albany from Cuomo on down facing reelection bids.

by Anonymousreply 105May 5, 2021 8:33 PM

R90 How many different ways can a basement dweller from LA tell New Yorkers that crime is down in their city, but why bother you are thoroughly unconvincing always and in all ways!

by Anonymousreply 106May 5, 2021 8:46 PM

R17 somewhere between vague question/ none of ur business

Is that what your mother said when you asked who your father was?

by Anonymousreply 107May 5, 2021 8:48 PM

R54 one of the most interesting statistics you failed to mention is that you aren't a New Yorker! Worry about your own cesspool dear!

by Anonymousreply 108May 5, 2021 8:50 PM

R23 "I know wat advocate means, it was terribly used in that instance"

Just like your mother was terribly used by all those drunken sailors!

by Anonymousreply 109May 5, 2021 8:54 PM

[quote] I’m guessing neither OP nor any of the other posters live in NY,

Of course we don’t! Nobody does. NYC was destroyed with all the other major cities in the country when BLM burned them last summer. The remains are still smoldering. All the white people fled or are hiding behind closed doors, terrified.

by Anonymousreply 110May 5, 2021 8:57 PM

R66 'younger, tougher, more dedicated to the urban experience'

Are those the Adderall zombies dedicated to their phones I see walking around in oblivion?

by Anonymousreply 111May 5, 2021 9:07 PM

R110 Have you been to Mommouth or Ocean County NJ where there are a lot of transplanted New Yorkers and a lot of white people enjoying the boardwalk and the open air restaurants in Asbury, Spring Lake and Red Bank?

by Anonymousreply 112May 5, 2021 9:10 PM

I was really amused when I went home for christmas and my family confidently told me that NYC was a dangerous wasteland where no one lived and no one went outside. When I told that that I live in NYC and that's just not true, they told me I was wrong. That I couldn't believe my own eyes and ears because they knew the *real truth.

I see a lot of people just like them on this thread.

Thank god neither you nor they come to NYC ever.

by Anonymousreply 113May 5, 2021 9:14 PM

R113 Your family didn't know that you lived in NY!!!! You sound fishier than an aquarium. Talk about the real truth!!!!

by Anonymousreply 114May 5, 2021 9:29 PM

And R113 they'll probably get to NY before you ever do! LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 115May 5, 2021 9:58 PM

R113 'let's pretend a cunt like you isn't totally full of shit'

But YOU are Blanche, YOU are!!

by Anonymousreply 116May 5, 2021 10:04 PM

R112 =

by Anonymousreply 117May 5, 2021 10:29 PM

R99 I didn't realize news traveled so slowly between NY and LA. It's May, and April saw shootings more than double-skyrocketing by 166% in NY compared to the same time last year and anti-Asian crimes skyrocketed as well. Same old NY story: I step forward 2 steps back.

by Anonymousreply 118May 5, 2021 10:39 PM

Y-o-Y numbers are of dubious relevance anyway, but 2019, 2020 and 2021 numbers would be more informative than just this year and the last.

by Anonymousreply 119May 5, 2021 10:52 PM

What an utter pile of bullshit bucket this thread has devolved into. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

by Anonymousreply 120May 5, 2021 10:54 PM

R120 You should say the same to Lurch De Blasio. Just replace the word 'thread' with city.

by Anonymousreply 121May 5, 2021 10:59 PM

Of course they know I live in NYC. They live in the NYC suburbs and never ever ever come into the city for any reason. But they know - JUST KNOW! - that the city is a shithole mess, despite someone who lives there telling them they're wrong.

Like I said, just like a lot of people on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 122May 5, 2021 11:42 PM

I am baffled by why so many people who don’t even live here give a fuck. Really.

by Anonymousreply 123May 6, 2021 12:05 AM

R122 the only reason people live in Westchester is for access to the city. Rents and housing costs more for this reason. Why pay that if you aren’t going to visit or work in the city?

by Anonymousreply 124May 6, 2021 1:29 AM

R99 - thank you for being the only one to inject sanity to these pearl clutching grandmothers sitting at home watching the news and assuming they will be mugged just walking down the street. Because, you know, they saw a story about it on TV so it is happening everywhere. Let them stay home - I’m enjoying NYC with the young, vibrant, urban stalwarts who remain. Thank God this is getting rid of the urban wannabes and people more focused on taxes than lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 125May 6, 2021 2:47 AM

Funny R99 lives in LA and has probably never been to NY.

by Anonymousreply 126May 6, 2021 3:16 AM

[quote] So I take it you were never concerned about COVID either. After all 97.3 %of people infected recovered in a country over of 340 million . . Are you a COVID denier? You sound like one. And you are also easily confused because you misrepresented what I said. You responses are all over the place and even teen fiction is better written and more logical. And what does where someone is from have anything to do with it? You're easily triggered like so many New Yorkers it would seem.

Are you “FormerNYer” as well as the unhinged loon from the Texas Chain Saw Massacre thread?

by Anonymousreply 127May 6, 2021 3:27 AM

My prediction: Eric Adams will be the next Mayor of New York. The non New Yorkers probably have no idea who he is. But he’ll win because crime is seen is a key issue in the mayoral race.

by Anonymousreply 128May 6, 2021 3:33 AM

R127 Sorry Detective Tinkerbell, but I don't know what your point is and WTF you are referring to or why?

by Anonymousreply 129May 6, 2021 3:35 AM

[quote]New Yorkers Dizzy and Divided

Literal vertigo!

by Anonymousreply 130May 6, 2021 3:38 AM

R128 And non New Yorkers don't probably know who Andrew Cuomo is just like non Californians don't know who Gavin Newsom is. Welcome to the 'Global village' of the modern world granny.

by Anonymousreply 131May 6, 2021 3:39 AM

FU, FNY.

[quote] I would say about 95% of people outside a wearing masks, so at least the overwhelming majority are following proper protocol.

“Proper protocol” is not to wear a mask outside unless you’re gathered in a dense group for a period of time. Jesus fucking Christ.

Oh and “95%” of New Yorkers are not still wearing masks outside, thank god. Where I roam, in the EV and north Brooklyn, at least half of us appear to have gotten familiar with the new CDC guidelines, and now it’s possible to check people out, see whole faces, etc.—just in time for gray sweatpants weather.

And I ride the subway 5 days a week. It is neither dangerous nor deserted. I’m not scared anywhere, either. Never was.

by Anonymousreply 132May 6, 2021 3:42 AM

R132 And you keyboard courage is awe inspiring Tinkerbell. Is Yorkville really that boring that you spend your time worrying about what people on DL think and keep responding to someone you kept announcing to a disinterested world that you were ignoring?

by Anonymousreply 133May 6, 2021 3:51 AM

Okay everyone name the current Boro President of Brooklyn, extra points for naming the City Comptroller. Probably not as well known as Andrew Cuomo. You think.

by Anonymousreply 134May 6, 2021 4:00 AM

R125 glad to assist. Hoping to take a trip up there later this year. Had a lot of fun the last time but now that the tech-bros are moving to the country and pearl-clutchers hiding indoors afraid for their lives, the expectations for a good time have gone up a notch!

by Anonymousreply 135May 6, 2021 4:15 AM

R134 Who cares about them, but I do know they aren't doing their jobs because the city is out of control. Even when I lived in NY I couldn't have named the people in those positions.

More interesting: What was the name of the famous coat check girl at the recently closed Pyramid? Where was the Tuesday night party 'Beige' held? Name one or all 3 of locations that Wigstock was held? Where was the now defunct Splash Bar located? Where was Escuelita located? What play revival did Tom Hiidleston appear in in 2019? What was the flagship store in The Hudson Yards that closed in September?

by Anonymousreply 136May 6, 2021 4:16 AM

Better keep those masks on, and avoid crowded places.

I haven't heard heard the Fat Lady sing yet.

by Anonymousreply 137May 6, 2021 4:20 AM

[quote] [R132] And you keyboard courage is awe inspiring Tinkerbell. Is Yorkville really that boring that you spend your time worrying about what people on DL think and keep responding to someone you kept announcing to a disinterested world that you were ignoring? —FNY

Fuck are you talking about? R132 was my first post in this entire thread. And I LIVE IN NORTH BROOKLYN, freak.

by Anonymousreply 138May 6, 2021 4:27 AM

Sorry and sorry that New Yorkers are so angry. Must be stressful.

by Anonymousreply 139May 6, 2021 4:33 AM

Datalounge is a worse place than NYC. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 140May 6, 2021 4:35 AM

Point is .. the current Boro President of Brooklyn is leading Andrew Yang in the mayoral race . So get ready for a black former cop to be the new Mayor. Not sure what effect that will have on all the NYC doomsayers. I think he’s a decent choice.

by Anonymousreply 141May 6, 2021 4:36 AM

I live and work in Hell's Kitchen, I even know who Marisa Redanty is, yet I don't know where these hordes of homeless, or this "cesspool" are hiding?'

"Spare a DALLAH fer a CUPPAKAWFEE? guy has recently died, so there's actually one fewer!

by Anonymousreply 142May 6, 2021 4:42 AM

Sorry R127 but you sound like so many other easily triggered New Yorkers who are over reactive in fact you all sound scripted and the same. Have all the educated, interesting, cultured and sophisticated people left NY? And what's left is a group people venting on DL? That might explain why there's so much 'unprovoked' and 'random' violence in the city.

by Anonymousreply 143May 6, 2021 4:44 AM

R142 Well the Skyline Hotel on 10th for one. The woman hammered outside of West Bank Cafe on 42nd Street was probably attacked by a homeless person and the Asian woman attacked outside of the building on 43rd and 9th as the cowardly doorman did nothing was from a homeless shelter. Sounds like you're not too familiar with what's happening in you neighborhood. How do you like the Target boutique that opened up on Tenth between 44th and 45th? That used to be a busy Hess Station when I lived in HK always filled with cabs 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 144May 6, 2021 4:50 AM

R142 If you know Marisa Redanty why don't you just ask her? She would seem to be the best source.

by Anonymousreply 145May 6, 2021 4:55 AM

I’d like to sign the petition to move FNY back to NYC so he can get hammered.

by Anonymousreply 146May 6, 2021 4:59 AM

I kid, I kid, FNY.

Seriously, though, you’re an asshole

by Anonymousreply 147May 6, 2021 4:59 AM

R147 I live 10 minutes from midtown across the Hudson and still visit and have friends in Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen and they are concerned as they never were in all the years and they go out of their way to avoid certain areas in their neighborhoods and I used to take the Subway to BAM and visit friends who lived on Carroll Street in Brooklyn, but now I wouldn't chance it at night especially. The real asshole is a Mayor who doesn't address the concerns of New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 148May 6, 2021 5:13 AM

R141 Crime is the problem not the naysayers!

by Anonymousreply 149May 6, 2021 5:15 AM

I've lived on 10th Ave for 18 years, and 40 years in Manhattan neighborhoods as well as one in Brooklyn, r144.

That Hess station has been gone a number of years, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Marisa is, or used to be an actress, her brother has been a legit agent for decades. I know who they are, but don't really pal around with them, tbh. There have always been dicey blocks and some unsavory action here. I mean it's called Hell's Kitchen. These crimes were committed by unhinged psych ward types. Building doormen are instructed for liability reasons to call cops and not physically attempt to stop crimes.

by Anonymousreply 150May 6, 2021 5:21 AM

R150 I was thinking of Wendy Wild she not only worked the coat check at Pyramid but was a performer who can be seen performing in the movie Wigstock (1993) I believe that doorman was fired. And you don't sound like my friends or Marisa they say the homeless are a problem not only for the residents but for the outdoor restaurants. I lived across from the Hess Station and some of my former neighbors said the construction of the building on that space with the Target was a nightmare with trucks constantly beeping and construction starting early in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 151May 6, 2021 5:37 AM

R151 I thought you were responding to a question I asked upthread about Pyramid. Ignore the first sentence.

by Anonymousreply 152May 6, 2021 5:45 AM

R142: Is that the guy who used to pace outside Amish Market asking for coffee money? How did he die?

by Anonymousreply 153May 6, 2021 7:14 AM

R128 = Concern Troll working for the Adams campaign

by Anonymousreply 154May 6, 2021 11:05 AM

The richest part of all this is that when New Yorkers bother responding to the trolls screaming about how horrible NY is - the troll response is always "oh you're so DEFENSIVE."

Sure Jan.

And no - it's not New Yorkers writing these hysterical anti-NYC posts about "crackheads" and 300 foot studios. No one I know uses the term "crackhead." That sounds like eldergay flyover speak.

Enjoy Tucson or Tampa or Cleveland or wherever you live. I'm sure it's lovely.

by Anonymousreply 155May 6, 2021 3:21 PM

R155 Your response is typical? What are you so triggered? I've seen so many posts use the term 'pearl clutching' to describe those concerned that shootings, subway assaults, and anti-Asian attacks has reached unacceptable levels and is a concern. Last summer people weren't hiding indoors but being cautious as the number of deaths and cases of COVID were rising and there was no vaccine and even now people are still wearing masks. No one is hiding indoors but going about their lives and are being cautious. What make generalizations and rant about people who see things differently. And no I don't live in Tucson, Tampa or Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 156May 6, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote]What [sic] make generalizations and rant about people who see things differently. And no I don't live in Tucson, Tampa or Cleveland. —FNY

I'm not r155, but it is because you go on and on and oh dear God on about it, FNY, brandonjoseph, RonaldMcDonald. Cindy Adams, Dade County Here. Jealous in Jersey, sugar coated pill, philadelphia, and whatever else you are calling yourselves these days. You troll obsessively.

You posted nearly 200 posts in the linked DL thread. Over 30% of the thread was yours. The same listing of crime stats. The same insults to those who respond ("fishier than an aquarium", etc). You aren't getting the reaction you need in part 2 of the "is new york city bouncing back?" thread, so you're infesting this one.

Have you no life in New Jersey that you post so frequently here - and almost exclusively about how awful New York City is?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 6, 2021 4:40 PM

"And no - it's not New Yorkers writing these hysterical anti-NYC posts about "crackheads" and 300 foot studios. No one I know uses the term "crackhead." That sounds like eldergay flyover speak.Enjoy Tucson or Tampa or Cleveland or wherever you live. I'm sure it's lovely."

And you wonder why people pile on New York. It's the arrogance, sweetie, and the disdain that New York Dlers have been piling on for years.

by Anonymousreply 158May 6, 2021 4:51 PM

R157 I'm 10 minutes away from mid town and my old HK neighborhood and I still have friends in NYC and my chiropractor of over 20 years is on W46th street and have gotten my haircut for decades at a salon in Chelsea. I've said it before I live closer to Manhattan than people in the Bronx, parts of Queens and Brooklyn. And my insults were responding in kind to people who attacked me. And once again you are questioning my spending time on DL. Why are you?

by Anonymousreply 159May 6, 2021 4:57 PM

PS R157 My life in Jersey includes working from home which I'm doing now and I never posted on DL until recently. Working at home is great as it gives me time to do lots of things I could never have done while working in the office. And virtually everyone I work with doesn't want to return to the office if and when that happens. Saves time, money and reduces stress. Pandemic silver lining.

by Anonymousreply 160May 6, 2021 5:17 PM

actually I meant it r158. You jaded bitch.

Tucson IS lovely - I've visited in the winter and loved it. Beautiful hiking. I have family in Cleveland. And Tampa is supposed to be fine too - I don't know - a family friend lives there and seems happy. My point, SWEETIE, is that I don't really give a fuck wherever you live - it's hopefully lovely for you - if it's not - sorry to hear it. The bigger question is why do you care so much about us in NY? And immediately scream "arrogance" and "defensiveness" no matter what we say?

Everyone accuses New Yorkers of being nasty cunts, but I've found on DL that we are actually a lot less cunty than the rest of you.

And I maintain that no one in NYC says "crackheads." Maybe in the 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 161May 6, 2021 6:37 PM

[QUOTE] at a salon in Chelsea

tee-hee! he goes to a ‘salon’, does Madge soak your nails while you’re there?

by Anonymousreply 162May 6, 2021 6:54 PM

R162 Well butch not everyone wants to go to the Barbershop at 23rd and 7th with clients like you who are so easily amused and sound like 12-year olds with arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 163May 6, 2021 7:10 PM

it’s ok Mary, I’m sure frosted tips look great on you.

by Anonymousreply 164May 6, 2021 8:37 PM

"And immediately scream "arrogance" and "defensiveness" no matter what we say?"

Does the term " flyovers" mean anything to you? Arrogance? Dismissiveness? That's what we get from you. So, good luck with your new mayor; this one pretty much made you a " flyover" city.

by Anonymousreply 165May 6, 2021 8:42 PM

It's this weird thing - out of towners get really defensive and rude when they ask for directions, as if it's the only way New Yorkers talk to each other. And no one from New York compulsively shits on other American cities unless goaded. Well, except maybe LA.

by Anonymousreply 166May 6, 2021 8:46 PM

I said crackhead back in 1990 when I briefly lived on 38th and 9th and I had to shoo them out of the way to get inside the door, but are there crackheads anymore? It seems such an old-timey drug like laudanum or angel dust.

Speaking of old-times and random item on this thread, it doesn’t seem right to me that Wigstock should be held anywhere other than Tompkins Square Park.

Anyway the City is lovely and I am so happy to be back. There were 8 people on my 7 train car this morning! People are returning by the day.

by Anonymousreply 167May 6, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote]Better keep those masks on, and avoid crowded places. I haven't heard heard the Fat Lady sing yet.

Sounds like Broadway houses will be requiring masks and proof of vaccination in September.

by Anonymousreply 168May 6, 2021 9:46 PM

R167 Wigstock was originally held at Union Square, then moved to Tompkins Square Park and finally to the pier on the Hudson River below 14th Street.

by Anonymousreply 169May 6, 2021 10:21 PM

What is North like in New York? Is North a good neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 170May 6, 2021 10:25 PM

Ah R169 I guess I am just too beholden to my particular slice of experience then. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 171May 7, 2021 12:09 AM

R171 I preferred Tompkins Square Park also. The pier seemed too crowded.

by Anonymousreply 172May 7, 2021 12:17 AM

ElderLez is speaking my mind in this thread and I was born here and have lived here all of my life. 😊

by Anonymousreply 173May 7, 2021 12:36 AM

[quote]...my insults were responding in kind to people who attacked me.

We both know that's a lie, r114 / FNY, brandonjoseph, RonaldMcDonald, Cindy Adams, Dade County Here, Jealous in Jersey, sugar coated pill, philadelphia, and countless other names you use. You attack people for no reason, and you're astonishingly lame about it - you actually responded to two different people with "fishier than an aquarium" on two different threads. I mean, vary your insults, or at least update them, Aunt Bea ("Mayberry" references being another favorite insult of yours).

[quote]And once again you are questioning my spending time on DL. Why are you?

Why am I what. r157 / FNY, brandonjoseph, RonaldMcDonald, Cindy Adams, Dade County Here, Jealous in Jersey, sugar coated pill, philadelphia? I've posted here from last century. I post from time time time on a variety of subjects. I miss the NYC we shared in our youth, too.

What I don't do is post 200 times on the same thread, nor have I ever posted TWENTY posts in a row, as you have - and all on the same. Damn. Subject. Any sane person might question that level of obsessiveness. Just a PSA for fellow DLers to pay you no heed.

Anyone who understands how ignordar works can see that you are trolling, or unhappily, that you are truly disturbed. You only post negative things.

...and now, off for a beer and a pizza under the stars!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 7, 2021 12:54 AM

Oh dear-ing myself!

"Why am I what, r159?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 7, 2021 1:03 AM

"And no one from New York compulsively shits on other American cities unless goaded. "

Unless they are posting on DL? You sound like a Deplorable trying to re-write history.

by Anonymousreply 176May 7, 2021 1:04 AM

Girls, girls! Just listen to yourselves! This isn't who you are!

by Anonymousreply 177May 7, 2021 1:11 AM

R1 Here's the latest you might have missed. The number of murders in NY were up from 38 in April of 2020 to 44 of April 20121 while the number of shooting incidents saw a huge uptick with 149 compared to 26 April 2020 and from January 2021 to May 2 the NY has seen a 73% increase in hate crimes compared to the same time last year. What a difference a month makes. Just look at the March report you cited a R99!

And this is how May is shaping up so far:

An off-duty MTA worker was slashed in the face while riding the subway Wednesday night while over the weekend a woman was punched in the head and robbed leaving the subway station and a naked man barricaded himself in the conductors cabin of the J train shutting down service for hours and the West Side Highway was shut down for 6 hours Thursday morning due to a carjacker shooting at police during a chase Thursday and a knife wielding man was shot by security guards at Bronx Macy's today and earlier a police officer opened fire on a carjacker who deliberately slammed onto a police cruiser in Midtown and the man who has been robbing people at gunpoint in Central Park is in custody and they are investigating a shooting that left one man dead outside of a neighborhood lounge in the Bronx last night as well as looking for a man caught on video following a 69 year old man into his apartment building attacking him and robbing him in Brooklyn Tuesday Never a dull moment!

by Anonymousreply 178May 7, 2021 1:49 AM

^^^ Joyful [psychopath] in Joisey

You are positively gleeful about posting this stuff. You're a sick pup.

by Anonymousreply 179May 7, 2021 2:00 AM

r178 is a whole bunch of words in a run on sentence with 4 punctuation marks. Two of them are EXCLAMATION MARKS!

He just can't wait to tell you how awful NYC is.

by Anonymousreply 180May 7, 2021 2:05 AM

Here's a tip for you R164 stop watching so much ME TV! Madge? Really granny!

by Anonymousreply 181May 7, 2021 2:06 AM

R180 Just ignore the content like your Mayor.

by Anonymousreply 182May 7, 2021 2:08 AM

[quote]Here's a tip for you [R164] stop watching so much ME TV! Madge? Really granny!

^^^says the grandpa who calls NYC's mayor "Lurch DeBlasio, r121/ r181/r182.

Practice what you preach. The Addams Family ran for two years in the 60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183May 7, 2021 2:38 AM

R183 Thanks for the ancient history lesson gran but did you ever did you ever hear of a movie called Adams Family Values (1993) And I didn't download that on r520 some other poster did. Lurch is a cultural icon!

by Anonymousreply 184May 7, 2021 2:54 AM

r167 - Alas, not a Redbird, I trust,...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185May 7, 2021 3:01 AM

R174 After your rant I suggest a beer and a Xanax with your slice err I mean pie. And are you taking a telescope to see the stars?

by Anonymousreply 186May 7, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] are you taking a telescope to see the stars?

Not me personally, no, r186/brandonjoseph/FNY, etc, but this group decided to have a little early get together tonight. They are nice and are sharing their telescopes.

I brought the beer and pizza,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187May 7, 2021 3:25 AM

R187 Wow! That was a quick meal and fast little get together and here you are right back on DL! Hmmm! What do you eat besides pizza?

by Anonymousreply 188May 7, 2021 3:32 AM

Perhaps the story of Carole Dowling says it best. A nurse set to start a new job was here two days and was sucker punched in the head on the corner of 34th and Ninth. The incident sent her packing home. She and her husband visited the city in June 2019 and had a great time, but they said this trip was dramatically different. "We have seen everything. We've seen people shooting up drugs. The first time we were in New York it was never like that" CBS News May 6, 20121

by Anonymousreply 189May 7, 2021 4:40 AM

^ Taylor Dowling

by Anonymousreply 190May 7, 2021 4:48 AM

No not a redbird R185! Oh how wonderful, but decrepit they were. I think they are all finally at the bottom of the sea now as artificial reefs.

by Anonymousreply 191May 7, 2021 9:54 AM

I live in queens and I have no clue what the fuck goes on in Brooklyn. I noticed the subway has started to get dirty and now there are panhandlers in almost every train asking for money. I have to say most of them do not smell bad but I just want peace and quiet without some mentally ill person asking for a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 192May 7, 2021 10:54 AM

they also standing at the turnstiles waiting for someone to swipe them in, OR waiting to see if their cardboard one-ride Metro-card they received for free at the HHC clinic will pick up additional rides if they bend it just so and swipe it seconds after another person swipes a yellow card ahead of them. An old trick, on its way out since the MTA is wise to it, but they still try.

by Anonymousreply 193May 7, 2021 11:42 AM

a “onesey” they call it

by Anonymousreply 194May 7, 2021 11:43 AM

[quote]I said crackhead back in 1990 when I briefly lived on 38th and 9th and I had to shoo them out of the way to get inside the door, but are there crackheads anymore?

They mostly died off. Meth has taken its place. 38th and 9th in 1990? You are a brave ElderLez.

[quote]Speaking of old-times and random item on this thread, it doesn’t seem right to me that Wigstock should be held anywhere other than Tompkins Square Park.

I still love Tomkins Square. Remember the "riot" there in the late 80s? Cops beating the hell out of anyone they could lay a baton on? I got caught up in it, but ran to Aztec Lounge, where a bunch of us sheltered til things cooled down. Clayton Patterson, who took the photos in this article about the Pyramid, took a lot of photos that night.

[quote]Anyway the City is lovely and I am so happy to be back. There were 8 people on my 7 train car this morning! People are returning by the day. —ElderLez

I ended up travelling to and from 3 boroughs yesterday. The A and F trains had plenty of room, but the C was pretty crowded. Clean, though, and no crazies.

Sorry for the length of the preview, but I thought you might enjoy the blast from the past:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195May 7, 2021 2:55 PM

Those subways better be clean! New York City Transit spent an additional $322M for cleaning and disinfecting in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 196May 7, 2021 3:28 PM

[quote]Only the NYT would have the gall to print the quote by Katheryn Wyld stating that being “on edge” is the only reason people are concerned about the recent spate of horrifying violent attacks,

Mary! They DASSN'T!

by Anonymousreply 197May 7, 2021 3:37 PM

Cuomo definitely caught Broadway off-guard by announcing that it was re-opening. It was always going to be a staggered start, but Cuomo goosed them, so they had to start scrambling. There is one Broadway show being filmed before a live audience this weekend, but that was already planned.

Anyone who thought that NYC, or anyplace else, was going to "bounce back", or return to the way it was before Covid and the shutdown, was deluded. Things are and will continue to change, slowly, all over the planet as a result. Broadway will catch up, NYC will catch up. No, it won't go back to the way that it was, and it shouldn't. Change is an inevitable part of life. New York City has reinvented itself many times, and it will again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198May 7, 2021 4:01 PM

Thank you so much R195! There’s an enforced bravery in poverty so I can’t take too much credit, but that was one scary block. The pimps used to beat their girls across the street. I could never understand how it could be so close to the police station and yet so wild.

And oh the names from that article - Hapi Phace- what a blast from the past! I only went to the Pyramid a few times, I knew no one, had no money, looked like I was an 11 year old and was completely uncool, so I have no great stories to tell sadly. But I treasure that period of my life. I loved all the gender queer people doing their own thing. It was a really joyful time amidst a lot of sadness.

I moved to New York the year after the Tompkins Square riots and right right after the cannibal feeding his roommate to the homeless there. Meanwhile it’s a beautiful park.

OK back to New York today. The Macy’s flower show windows are great and protesters are back in front of Cuomo’s Manhattan office on Third Ave. (although from the momentary lack of yelling they may be breaking for lunch)

by Anonymousreply 199May 7, 2021 4:32 PM

;quote]The Macy’s flower show windows are great and protesters are back in front of Cuomo’s Manhattan office on Third Ave. (although from the momentary lack of yelling they may be breaking for lunch)

You're welcome, and thanks for that reminder, ElderLez! I love that flower show. Maybe on Monday, I'll swing by and take a peek. Central Park is blooming like crazy right now, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200May 7, 2021 4:47 PM

R1 While you were sleeping 4 people were killed and 7 others wounded in 9 shootings from late Thursday afternoon through early Friday across NYC. It's a spate within a spate.

by Anonymousreply 201May 7, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]What do you eat besides pizza?—JJ

Aren't you a nosey one, r188/r201, JJ, Brandonjoseph, FNY, etc? Yesterday, for lunch, I had oysters, a house made pate with bread fresh from the oven, and a salad at a French bistro in Manhattan. From my table, I watched people walk, drive and bike along the avenue. Ran a few errands. It was an enjoyable and productive afternoon. Stopped off at my local joint afterwards for a coffee, before heading out for a night of star-gazing.

[quote][R187] Wow! That was a quick meal and fast little get together and here you are right back on DL! Hmmm!

I was posting to DL while the astronomers set up their telescopes, silly. Once they had assembled them, I stopped posting. I didn't get home til just before dawn.

We all survived the night, miraculously, and had a great time, though it wasn't a particularly auspicious night for sky-watching. We did see Mars set, and Saturn and Jupiter rise. We were able to see a couple of Jupiter's moons, and Saturn's rings. The constellations Perseus, Cassiopeia, and Orpheus. The moon was rising by the time Ursa Major began to appear, and then we were near sunrise. I caught a ride home, watched the sun rise from my stoop, then went to bed.

A pretty good  NYC day and night, by my accounts. I travelled mostly by subway, quelle horreur! I hung out with nice people that I learned from and had pleasant conversations with. We danced, sang, and watched the sky until almost dawn. Almost like the good old days at Pyramid, without the drugs and drag queens

I could hope your day/night went half as well, but you were probably too busy doom scrolling to find your crime stats to post here to enjoy anything much.

tl;dr?

Here's some flowers for ElderLez's enjoyment (and anyone else who is bored with brandonjoseph/jj/FNY's unrelenting negativity).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 7, 2021 5:21 PM

R202 Did you happen to see any UFOs from Uranus?

by Anonymousreply 203May 7, 2021 7:38 PM

[QUOTE] No, it won't go back to the way that it was, and it shouldn't.

Yes, let’s wear masks forever.

by Anonymousreply 204May 7, 2021 8:14 PM

R6 Why WOULD you stress out about it? You don't live here! And what are you inhaling besides the crotch rot in your mother's basement?

by Anonymousreply 205May 8, 2021 2:15 AM

When Mayor Wiley takes over, the city will be able to run much more efficiently. Crime will be a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 206May 8, 2021 11:28 AM

Well maybe what we should do is take the panicky advice of all the paranoid racists on the DL and introduce police-state-rule in NYC. White residents in suits can go about their business but anyone looking *suspicious to a panel of resentful, pudgy suburban queens who never leave their homes get tossed in prison for life!!

They'll have to find a new thing to complain about. But in Tucker We Trust.

by Anonymousreply 207May 8, 2021 1:56 PM

Maybe some people are just a little anxious? I know I am, but that doesn't mean I won't be happy when things get back to normal in my area.

by Anonymousreply 208May 8, 2021 2:02 PM

Thank you R202! I used to work near the conservatory gardens and would often have lunch there. The odd summer-warm April day was my favorite time to go. Did you do any stargazing last night?

As a white, suited, pudgier than I was 30 years ago currently living in the suburbs poster, I find your comments kind of strange R207. New York City area suburbanites, like New York City residents are a pretty diverse bunch; although nothing compares to the City proper. The suburbs are very expensive so people who don’t appreciate NYC enough to pay the premium mostly move to other parts of the country I think.

by Anonymousreply 209May 8, 2021 2:38 PM

NYC still storing COVID-19 victims in refrigerated trucks

New York City is still using refrigerated trucks to store bodies of coronavirus victims, more than a year after they were first set up as temporary morgues as deaths surged at at the height of the pandemic.

The city’s medical examiner’s office said Friday that 750 bodies are being kept in long-term storage in refrigerated trailers at a Brooklyn pier while family members sort out plans for their final resting places.

Dina Maniotis, a deputy commissioner with the Office of Chief Medical Examiner, told a city council committee on Wednesday that many of the bodies held at the 39th Street Pier could end up buried in the city’s potter’s field on Hart Island.

by Anonymousreply 210May 8, 2021 2:41 PM

You're welcome, r209/ElderLez. I love the conservatory gardens. I had gone to Central Park week before last using the guide at r202 for the best blooms. It was pretty spot on. Didn't stargaze last night, but there are a few viewings coming up this month, all visible with the naked eye:

May 11th: New moon May 12th: Mars and the waxing crescent moon set together in the west. May 13th: Mercury will pass near the crescent moon. Venus will be just below them. Mercury is visible in the northwest sky in the early evening from now until around the end of next week May 15th: Mars will be paired with the moon as they set together around midnight. May 26th: A full "flower" moon. I like to go to Coney Island, Brighton or Rockaway Beach to watch it rise over the ocean May 31st: Another conjunction, with Saturn and Jupiter positioned near the moon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 8, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote]No, it won't go back to the way that it was, and it shouldn't.

[quote]Yes, let’s wear masks forever.

Masks are not mentioned at all in the post at r198, r204.

by Anonymousreply 212May 8, 2021 8:11 PM

Some of them are not taking it well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213May 8, 2021 10:30 PM

And on a happier note the Neil Diamond bio-musical "A Beautiful Noise" is set to open on Broadway in the summer of 2022. It's seen by some as a move to get those 'pearl clutching grannies' back to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 214May 8, 2021 11:53 PM

NY can look forward to 'a summer of love'

by Anonymousreply 215May 9, 2021 12:20 AM

If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere, it's up to you New York, New York!

by Anonymousreply 216May 9, 2021 1:49 AM

R213 that is a fake story. The New York Post must be behind it!

by Anonymousreply 217May 9, 2021 2:22 AM

Does anyone have their return to the office schedule yet?

by Anonymousreply 218May 9, 2021 2:23 AM

I hope the Naked Cowboy is all right!

by Anonymousreply 219May 9, 2021 2:43 AM

^ Maybe he just shit in his pants which always looked like they need a good washing anyway!

by Anonymousreply 220May 9, 2021 2:54 AM

Wendy Magrinat who was one of the 3 innocent bystanders shot in Times Square said "I was screaming, 'I don't want to die, please help me!-and people were just recording, they weren't helping" Probably just a bunch of deplorables from flyover states!

by Anonymousreply 221May 9, 2021 5:31 PM

"Probably just a bunch of deplorables from flyover states!"

No doubt. New Yorkers would have helped immediately.

by Anonymousreply 222May 9, 2021 6:02 PM

Like the doorman that watched as the woman was attacked and then went and closed the doors on her, R221?

by Anonymousreply 223May 9, 2021 6:05 PM

Yes, exactly! R223

by Anonymousreply 224May 9, 2021 6:24 PM

R198

It has been said previously and am doing so again, King Cuomo had no other choice but to ease up on remaining covid restrictions including performing arts/Broadway.

First and foremost the governor is in a weakened position politically with state senate and assembly running things because they can.

Two, NY state averted major fiscal disaster thanks to Chuck Schumer funneling hundreds of billions in aid but there's no certainty more aid will flow again. A surprisingly strong Wall Street in 2020 also poured money into state's coffers, but who knows how long that will last into 2021....

Other states are opening up, cancelling unemployment, etc.. leaving King Cuomo and Albany in a tough spot. If they continue keeping state and NYC economy locked down in whole or major part then New York alone may be left holding that economic bag from fall out. People need to get back to work or find other jobs especially as all sorts of covid related things start coming to an end, and will do so by first week of September. Eviction/foreclosure moratoriums, that generous federal unemployment scheme, etc....

For all the grumbling about them tourists and tourism pump huge sums into NYC and NYS economy. Broadway and other performing arts are major reasons why people come into New York. Their absence has turned Times Square into nearly a ghost town, emptied out hotels and had other horrible effects on economy.

by Anonymousreply 225May 9, 2021 7:28 PM

R14 Unlike you I do care because I work and pay federal taxes and billions of federal dollars is being poured into these declining urban cesspools that have failed programs and leadership and we are all paying the price. In 2019 NY received $55.7 billion and $64B in May of 2020 in COVID aid.

by Anonymousreply 226May 9, 2021 8:27 PM

New York State pays more in federal taxes than it receives back, but nice try with the whole fake grievance messaging R226!

by Anonymousreply 227May 9, 2021 8:40 PM

R227 Stats hon?

by Anonymousreply 228May 9, 2021 8:47 PM

I’m not your hon R228, but since you don’t seem to be fromthe United States I’ve taken pity and done a google search for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 9, 2021 9:08 PM

And what about Chirlaine McCray De Blasio's fishy 'Thrive' program which the Mayor recently and quietly signed an executive order shifting the program into city hall and renaming it ? The $1.5 billion spent has been the subject of a number of city council hearings due to the lack of information on the overall goals of the program.

by Anonymousreply 230May 9, 2021 9:09 PM

Do you get Voice of America where you live R228? Or does your government block it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231May 9, 2021 9:13 PM

R227 Thanks, but that's from January 2019. What a difference a year and a half makes! And un

by Anonymousreply 232May 9, 2021 9:13 PM

R227 I do live in the US and from Jan. 2019 to May 2020 NY received $110 Billion before the pandemic, homelessness and crime really took its toll.

by Anonymousreply 233May 9, 2021 9:17 PM

R226 = Boris, I can tell by how she writes

by Anonymousreply 234May 9, 2021 9:37 PM

R234 Oh, Madge! How do stay so au courant? I bet that barbershop you go to has magazines from 1998!

by Anonymousreply 235May 9, 2021 9:46 PM

Nope, no magazines. You sit there on a hard bench and wait your turn like a man.

by Anonymousreply 236May 9, 2021 9:55 PM

R236 Wow! What a test of manhood! What other manly pursuits are offered at this shop?

by Anonymousreply 237May 9, 2021 9:59 PM

R231 Elderlez Those studies are from data collected between 2015 and 2017 and the imbalance is due to the fact that the tri state is home to some of the highest household incomes in the country and therefore pay more in federal taxes in a state that has along with CA the highest tax rates in the country. And in NYC alone less than 1 million households are responsible for 50% of the city's personal income revenue. No wonder NY and California saw population decline starting in 2016/17 NY spends more per student than almost any other state which is great if you have kids in public schools 65% of whom receive breakfast and lunch and yet are NY public schools successful? Maintained? Air-conditioned? Safe? Were students given Google Chrome Books as many were in school districts around the country? Educators were reluctant to return last fall because of the conditions where windows were nailed shut and rooms had poor ventilation and would be potentially over-crowded. And what happened to all the money the Lottery was supposed to generate for education?

by Anonymousreply 238May 9, 2021 11:02 PM

Hi R238 I was replying specifically on the federal tax issue to R226. So many welfare (not that there is anything wrong with that) state residents and assorted bot and trolls are under the misguided impression that New York State is a drain to the rest of the country. You are absolutely right that it is because New York State has so many wealthy residents that it has historically been able to subsidize states like Oklahoma. May it always be so.

You won’t get any argument from me on the horrible mismanagement of the New York City public schools. That’s a real multi-decade scandal! It’s a shame too given that NYC has some of the most extraordinary specialized public schools. Clearly if there were the will all NYC schools could be all at least adequate. My wife went to Performing Arts and how many places in the world have a school like that as a public option?

by Anonymousreply 239May 9, 2021 11:46 PM

New York state ratepayers are the ones who fork over huge sums in federal taxes. That is largely a reflection of how many high income households, businesses and other enterprises are based in NYS for tax purposes, and nothing else. Same for Conn, NJ, etc.....

NY gets back "less" if you will due in large part the state does not have a large amount of federal agencies, offices, etc... There are only a handful of things connected to military for instance which is where many other states (especially in the south) rake in money.

New Yorkers at least downstate historically don't want large numbers of military or other federal agencies such as immigration, so there you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240May 10, 2021 12:23 AM

R239 But what NY isn't going to have is many tech and finance companies returning and the $60 billion dollar a year tourist industry because of the dreadful leadership particularly a mayor who hasn't a clue. Even since yesterday's shooting in Times Square there's been another spate of shootings with at least 2 people dead, a man stabbed to death at a midtown hotel, another subway incident where a woman was punched and robbed and another woman was punched by a man on the LES who was demanding money and 2 more incidents of anti-Asian attacks! An all to the good, NY has received $810 million for vaccine distribution as well as testing, tracing, isolation support and migration more than $20 billion from the Small Business Administrations Paycheck Protection Program for the state, $4 billion in emergency transit relief for the MTA and NY will get the lion's share of the $15 billion Save Our Stages program allocated nationally benefiting Broadway and other entertainment venues ,why not, but will people be returning in such a dangerous climate? All the boxes for reopening and recovery have been checked except one: public safety. And that's where leadership comes in.

by Anonymousreply 241May 10, 2021 12:34 AM

It's funny that the MAGA nazis who infest this board, like the semi-informed typist at R241, think the mayor of NYC is more powerful that the President of the US.

by Anonymousreply 242May 10, 2021 11:32 AM

The mayor is more powerful when it comes to the daily operation and tenor of the city. The president has much more important business to do.

by Anonymousreply 243May 10, 2021 11:51 AM

R241 is a cunt

by Anonymousreply 244May 10, 2021 11:51 AM

The "tenor" of the city?? Not the soprano of the city but the tenor? What the fuck is the "tenor" of NYC? When did DeBlasio (who I don't like) get behind defunding the NYPD? What is the name and number of the budget deal that did it? It doesn't fucking exist. It's a figment of Fox News and Murdoch fever dreams and trolls and dum dums like R243 repeat it.

by Anonymousreply 245May 10, 2021 12:01 PM

Oh for God's sake, I am the tenor of the city, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246May 10, 2021 12:57 PM

“Tenor” is correct...as in to “gauge the tenor of the group.”

Unless there is an alternate spelling?

by Anonymousreply 247May 10, 2021 1:46 PM

I don’t think people realize how the scarcity and cost of space has hindered the growth and diversification of New York City industry. Many businesses will be able to take root or expand in New York because their office footprint can be smaller and less expensive. And workers coming in once a week or less can comfortably live in places like Duchess county which might reverse some upstate population declines.

And as the outer boroughs clear out with the middle class remote workers moving further away and with the Biden child tax credit we might actually see positive movement on reducing homelessness amongst working families.

by Anonymousreply 248May 10, 2021 2:04 PM

Yes, we are all familiar with the spelling and the meaning of the word "tenor," but it's beyond stupid to think it can apply to a place as big and diverse as New York. It's also childish and ill-informed to think the Mayor of NYC has anything to do with it, if it even exists. What "tenor" did Abe Beame impart? Dinkins? None. You can repeat the fairy stories that the NYC media sold to the rest of America but if you actually lived here, you'd know it's utter bullshit.

And you're stupid and credulous enough to fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 249May 10, 2021 2:56 PM

R113 R242 What's Trump got to do with it? You do know that Biden is President! Cluelessness seems to run in your family. You type TDS

by Anonymousreply 250May 10, 2021 3:52 PM

New York is not for childless single people since I am tired of paying more in taxes and getting very little in return. Rent is effing high and the food prices has increased.

by Anonymousreply 251May 10, 2021 4:12 PM

Just another day in De Blasio's NY:

A tourist from Ecuador was stabbed by a man with a screwdriver while riding the subway in downtown Manhattan and in yet another subway incident a man was slashed in the face and Le Sak Paris on Fifth Avenue was robbed at gunpoint It's time to 'sak' the Mayor!

by Anonymousreply 252May 10, 2021 4:42 PM

"It's also childish and ill-informed to think the Mayor of NYC has anything to do with it, if it even exists. What "tenor" did Abe Beame impart? Dinkins? None. You can repeat the fairy stories that the NYC media sold to the rest of America but if you actually lived here, you'd know it's utter bullshit."

So then, why are there endless threads complaining about deBlasio, if he has nothing to do with setting the atmosphere of the city and prioritizing what is necessary to let the citizens have a safer, more prosperous life? Why have a mayor at all? And the others you cited were just another indication that New Yorkers can't pick a leader.

by Anonymousreply 253May 10, 2021 6:36 PM

There are endless threads complaining about DeBlasio because the Murdoch media has brainpoisoned a generation of angry old white men (some of whom are gay and post on here) to hate and fear anything other than a police state.

There was fearmongering panic before Covid when the city's crime rate was historically low and there's fearmongering panic now that crime rates have ticked back up to a medium year during Bloomberg. So far, at least, we haven't experienced anything as bad as Giuliani's best year.

But beyond that, it's stupid, peasant thinking to say that a leader in a democratic society imprints himself on citizens beyond idle chatter while waiting for a haircut. The Mayor of New York doesn't have much power and doesn't impact the thinking of New Yorkers all that much. People who think he does are gullible fools who believe the NY Post and don't live in New York.

by Anonymousreply 254May 10, 2021 6:55 PM

R254 New Yorkers may be in the same waters, but they are not in the same boat. And not everyone is on board with your conspiracy theories. Interim NYC transit president Sarah Feinberg called De Blasio 'out of touch' and accused City Hall of hiding subway police numbers while leading mayoral contender Eric Adams says he'll use Kendra's Law to get dangerously mentally ill people off the subways. Times Square workers slammed the Mayor for suggesting the recent triple shooting wouldn't hurt tourism in NYC and Randal Weaver a subway shoving attack victim said he wants De Blasio to do a better job protecting commuters on the subway! And r254, I'll bet that you're not Asian!

by Anonymousreply 255May 10, 2021 11:25 PM

Oh, and speaking of Asians R254 Det. Vincent Cheung, a 16 year veteran of the NYPD, said that the rising racism is something that he 'never witnessed in my life' But what would he know!

by Anonymousreply 256May 10, 2021 11:49 PM

Not sure how you got "denying anti-Asian violence" out of my post but I would just observe that there's a pretty good chance you got your quotes about this or that person SLAMMING deBlasio from....a Murdoch property.

But enjoy hate-posting. I wonder why you're ignoring the violence in Dublin? There's a whole thread about it. Hmmm. I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 257May 11, 2021 12:03 AM

R257 This thread isn't about Dublin or Israel for that matter. And the quotes were from bona fide New Yorkers who don't seem to think that the rise in shootings, subway assaults, homelessness and racist attacks are about Murdoch or fear mongering. Like you apocryphal story about your family, I never said 'denying anti-Asian violence'. So why the quotation marks? And why are you asking me about something I never said.

by Anonymousreply 258May 11, 2021 2:57 AM

I'm so grateful for this article and also for this thread, because I so deeply care about the emotional states of New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 259May 11, 2021 3:00 AM

No links to the stories tho....

by Anonymousreply 260May 11, 2021 10:13 AM

Another day another random act of violence. Likely unintentional but still sad as it involves a child......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 11, 2021 7:39 PM

It's terrible that that happened. I guess if Giuliani were mayor and racism were cool again, it wouldn't have happened?

by Anonymousreply 262May 11, 2021 11:14 PM

WTF does racism have to do with it? No, it has everything to do with the large number of mentally ill people walking the streets of New York.

by Anonymousreply 263May 12, 2021 12:48 AM

R261 Sounds similar to the story of Taylor Dowling R189 who visited NY in June of 2019 with her husband and returned a week ago to start a job as a nurse and was here for a couple of days when she was punched out of nowhere on 34th and 9th and decided to leave NY. She and her husband both noticed how dramatically different NY has become. What's scary is the number of people on DL who like the Mayor don't see a problem and attack those who do.

by Anonymousreply 264May 12, 2021 2:33 AM

New York, New Yuk!

At least half a dozen more victims of gun violence overnight in NY including a NYPD member shot 3 times. Another hammer attack on an Asian woman and another slashing in Times Square subway station. And NYC bus drivers are demanding cops in their vehicles amid surge in assaults. This is what a typical day in NY looks like now.

by Anonymousreply 265May 13, 2021 8:01 PM

Just in the past few days I am noticing the return of the rich and stylish. Is there some fashion event going on? Today I noticed more tourists and bigger crowds. I’m surprised the Times Square shootings didn’t have more effect. I dread the return of tourists. It’s much nicer without them. I also hate the rich people but once it’s hot they leave.

by Anonymousreply 266May 13, 2021 8:14 PM

Two friends moved back to NYC from Australia. They had tons of money to spend and got outbid on three different places they wanted on the UWS. Meanwhile all the deals to be had on rents are evaporating.

Not sure what to tell you FNY. Besides maybe take that energy and try and improve your own city?

by Anonymousreply 267May 13, 2021 10:43 PM

R267 Fortunately, my city across the Hudson is fine. I'm 10 minutes from Midtown and like many people in my neighborhood we have a connection to NY, but many like me aren't going like we used to and that's a loss. One of the owners of a restaurant in Times Square said that on the night of the shooting reservations were canceled and on a typical Saturday night he had many customers from Westchester and New Jersey. New Yorkers aren't the reason shows like Phantom ran for 3 decades nor are they enough to keep all the restaurants, hotels, parking lots, vendors, shops. . .operating.

by Anonymousreply 268May 14, 2021 2:35 AM

I can acknowledge an increase in crime but also realize it’s nothing to worry about - as it is still half of what it was a few years ago when I lived here and didn’t worry about crime. Worry if you want - and stay away if you want - but don’t be all Fox News that NYC is dead and crime is out of control by focusing only on a 3 year span instead of 20-30 years that many of us have experienced - and loved.

by Anonymousreply 269May 14, 2021 3:17 AM

R269 Not everyone feels as you do including members of the MTA, PBA, Times Square Business Association, Asian Americans and other citizens. And for me Fox News has nothing to do with it. Poor leadership and policies are more the problem. No one is forcing you to read this thread.

by Anonymousreply 270May 14, 2021 4:06 AM

Well sure FNY but no one is forcing you to post on it. Merely your kind of sad compulsion. It must be frustrating to have your life and psyche totally dominated by a thing you can't control and have no say over.

And I'm not sure how DeBlasio is responsible for a rise in anti-Asian assaults? I guess you just get a weird satisfaction on blaming him for everything.

Is he why you're single?

by Anonymousreply 271May 14, 2021 10:22 AM

R271 Not sure why you are so concerned about me. Aren't there things to do in NY?

by Anonymousreply 272May 14, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote]Merely your kind of sad compulsion.

"Sad compulsion" is right, r271. r270and r272 is authenticated as brandonjoseph. He has a string of other names. If you ignoredar him, you'll see that he posts almost exclusively on NYC, and how awful it is. Any questioning results in insults.

He literally posted 200 posts in the original "Has new york city bounced back?" thread.

Obsessed troll.

by Anonymousreply 273May 14, 2021 5:55 PM

R273 Now that you gotten that off your chest for the umpteenth time go out and enjoy the beautiful day and go to all those places you post about.

by Anonymousreply 274May 14, 2021 6:54 PM

R1 Talk about a NY minute! 4 people were slashed in 35 minutes in a chain of a attacks on NYC subway early this morning.

And if you are still planning a trip from LA to NY, may I suggest the lovely Warwick Hotel on W54th Street. A few blocks south of Central Park, right down the block from MOMA and a short walk to Rockefeller Center and Times Square. You can reserve a Premier Suite 1 for less than $200. per night which is easily half of what it would usually cost during June and July!

by Anonymousreply 275May 14, 2021 8:03 PM

90% of the people on the streets of my Hell's Kitchen/Midtown West neighborhood this afternoon were wearing their masks. Yay!!!

Now let's see if the hordes of B&T and other outsiders who descend upon us for dinner and bar-life will be as conscientious.

by Anonymousreply 276May 14, 2021 8:29 PM

Just a little PSA for my fellow denizens, r273, FNY, brandonjoseph, r275.

You've posted 50 posts on this thread alone. 6 out if the last 12 were yours. That is one unhealthy obsession. I feel it my civic duty to alert other DLers as to your very singular agenda of infesting threads. I will continue to do that for as long as it pleases me to.

Today was a garden day. I stopped home to refrigerate my greens, and take a shower before heading out to the beach for a BBQ with friends. I'm taking the subway, too.

Have an enjoyable evening of trolling and posting crime stats! Ta for now.

by Anonymousreply 277May 14, 2021 8:33 PM

R276 And how do you feel about people spending hours indoors in bars and restaurants maskless? As a vaccinated person and even before I was less concerned about wearing a mask outdoors than at the gym, on airplanes, airports, grocery shopping . . .

by Anonymousreply 278May 14, 2021 10:38 PM

Nonsense, I was in Hell’s Kitchen late this afternoon and it was more like 40% maskless on the street. Awesome!

by Anonymousreply 279May 15, 2021 2:24 AM

R279 Nonsense! I was in Hell's Kitchen and at least 50% of the homeless people were wearing masks and carrying hammers! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 280May 15, 2021 2:58 AM

Nice try, but no cigar R279; everyone with whom I engaged in conversation remarked on the high number of masks in evidence this afternoon.

We Hell's Kitchen imps are playing it safe: "(Our) Mamas didn't raise no fools."

by Anonymousreply 281May 15, 2021 2:59 AM

R279 Is a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 282May 15, 2021 5:49 AM

"New Yorkers react to the sudden reopening"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283May 15, 2021 11:32 AM

NYC Dlers react.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284May 15, 2021 11:33 AM

You have to get back on the subway and come to the office every day...and you pay has been cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 15, 2021 11:35 AM

I hate going into some cubicle almost everyday with no pay increase. Cheap ass agency.

by Anonymousreply 286May 15, 2021 9:25 PM

R277 Sounds fabulist!

by Anonymousreply 287May 15, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote][R167] Wigstock was originally held at Union Square, then moved to Tompkins Square Park and finally to the pier on the Hudson River below 14th Street.

Oh, dear no.

Wigstock started in Tompkins Square Park and temporarily used Union Square Park ONCE (The big Mona Foot as Wonder Woman year) before returning to Tompkins Square, and then eventually the Westside Piers.

by Anonymousreply 288May 15, 2021 10:56 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that! .

by Anonymousreply 289May 15, 2021 11:02 PM

NYC murders in 1994 (Giuliani's first full year) - 1,960

NYC murders in 2020 - 462

Although a slight uptick in the historically low murder rate (they said it would NEVER be below 600- it's been under that for years) the overall crime rate in NYC tumbled in 2020 to "record low".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 15, 2021 11:23 PM

R290 Since many states in the US were in lockdown for months homicides dropped dramatically as did vehicular deaths. No one was using transit, Times Square was empty and people left the city. Those stats for 2020 are unsurprising.

by Anonymousreply 291May 16, 2021 1:07 AM

Yes, r291, so why are we comparing this spring to last spring?

by Anonymousreply 292May 16, 2021 1:54 AM

R292 Because last spring people weren't visiting NY during COVID but now as the city is opening up and trying to recover as daily stories of targeted attacks on Asian and reports of random, unprovoked daylight attacks on the streets and subways as well will not have tourists flocking to NY. especially as it seems to be increasing. In the last week of April there were 49 victims of shootings in NY and stories of people being shot while dining at Peter Lugers Steakhouse or diners at West Bank Cafe witnessing a hammer attack by a homeless person on 42ns St. or the much reported story of an Asian woman attacked by a homeless man while the doorman of the building on 43rd and 9th watched and did nothing will probably keep people away.

by Anonymousreply 293May 16, 2021 2:51 AM

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Eleven people shot in eight hours across NYC, one fatally and in more subway mayhem a straphanger was robbed at gunpoint and two other passengers punched in the face early Sunday morning and cops were assaulted trying to remove a fare beater and an armed robber forced a man to withdraw $200 from a Manhattan ATM. For those who say the 70s or the Giuliani era was worse does that make this acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 294May 17, 2021 12:59 AM

OK FNY - let's give you carte blanche. You now run NYC. What do you do? Concentration camps? Citywide police state? DeBlasio is gone in 6 months so saying "Get rid of DeBlasio" is not a thing.

You won't be able to say anything coherent because you don't really care that there's crime. You just like to complain and you get a kind of thrill from what you assume is OWNING LIBS. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 295May 17, 2021 10:47 AM

R295 Criminals own NY because an incompetent stoner like De Blasio hasn't even addressed the numerous shootings, slashings, shovings, hammerings and punchings that seem to be an almost daily event. Perhaps police presence on subways and busses as the MTA and PBA has been recommending for for months might help. Why leap to police states and concentration camps? Take your own advice and I'm sure you'd have the Mayor's blessing on this and try some of that legal weed and calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 296May 17, 2021 12:28 PM

Of course the grouchy Nazis on the DL who want a police state for the poor and the not-white HAVE to mention DeBlasio. It doesn't matter to them that he's given them everything they've wanted for the past 8 years. The Mayor *they want has to actively shit on everyone except paranoid white lawyers who are scared of the subway and mean to their maids.

by Anonymousreply 297May 17, 2021 2:10 PM

NYPD adding 250 police officers to transit system as subway resumes 24/7 and is the offering free self-defense classes to help support Asian community. Nice to know that logical, sane and productive responses still exist.

by Anonymousreply 298May 17, 2021 4:30 PM

[quote]You won't be able to say anything coherent because you don't really care that there's crime. You just like to complain and you get a kind of thrill from what you assume is OWNING LIBS. Pathetic.

It's simpler than that, r295. FNY is a garden variety troll, and is quite persistent. His posts are exclusively anti-NYC. He's quite prolific, signing under other names as well. He's also r296

[quote][R277] Sounds fabulist! —FNY

I know, what an outrageous lie, r287/brandonjoseph! No one could possibly believe that someone would spend a beautiful spring day working with fellow community gardeners, and the evening barbequing at the beach with friends? (We had grilled striper, vegetables, and greens from the garden, btw).

Seriously, if I were to make something up, why would I create such a mundane tale of gardens and BBQs? You're really reaching now. Your obsessive hate of NYC is dulling your senses.

Beaches opening soon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 17, 2021 4:58 PM

R299 What are you trying to prove and to whom and why? You may have survived the subway, but it sounds like you've gone off the rails!

by Anonymousreply 300May 17, 2021 5:24 PM

I was walking through midtown today and i’d say about 38% of people were maskless.

by Anonymousreply 301May 17, 2021 5:41 PM

R297 R295 R253 R249 and other insane posts.

So De Blasio is not responsible for the city but Trump, Tucker, Nazi's, concentration camps, Fox News, police states, racism, Murdoch, nasty old Grandmas, paranoid racists, MAGA Nazis,, Giuliani, dumb crotchety elder gays, gullible fools, brainpoisoned angry old white men and paranoid white lawyers who are scared of the subway and mean to their maids are. You sound very paranoid. See if those 'friends' from Australia who have 'tons' of money to spend could help you find a psychiatrist.

'it's stupid, peasant thinking to say that a leader in a democratic society imprints himself on citizens beyond idle chatter while waiting for a haircut' WOW! You said a mouthful and said nothing.

by Anonymousreply 302May 18, 2021 5:30 AM

OK FNY, tell us about all the vast powers DeBlasio has. How does the big mean man haunt your dreams? Thrall us with your acumen.

by Anonymousreply 303May 18, 2021 10:35 AM

R303 Then why elected and pay someone to be Mayor if they have no power to govern?

by Anonymousreply 304May 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Not surprising that FNY can bitch a fit about DeBlasio in the abstract but can't name a single fucking actual real act he's done to bring forward this compulsive hatred.

He's a dumb useless goober for sure but there are certain things out of his hands.

by Anonymousreply 305May 18, 2021 4:39 PM

R305 'there are certain things out of his hands' For example?

by Anonymousreply 306May 18, 2021 4:45 PM

Why doesn't FNY give an example of a real thing DeBlasio did that caused death and chaos and closed businesses? The best I think he can come up with was DeBlasio set the wrong "tenor" which sure sounds like FNY woke up on the wrong side of his cave that morning.

by Anonymousreply 307May 19, 2021 12:16 AM

Again R307 you are wrong and pointless. I never said tenor in relation to De Blasio. Like your family you don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 308May 19, 2021 7:06 AM

Meanwhile in De Blasio's NY, another anti-Asian attack in Hell's Kitchen, three more people slashed in 3 separate incidents in subway stations in Manhattan and Brooklyn, another fatal hit-and run in Brooklyn and a woman was killed in a Brooklyn drive-by shooting while attending a vigil for another shooting victim.

by Anonymousreply 309May 19, 2021 7:24 AM

[quote]it sounds like you've gone off the rails! —Not buying it!

r307, talking to r300/FNY/brandonjoseph, etc is an exercise in futility. You end up with typo-ridden responses, or hokey insults and weird personal attacks! Or crime stats! With exclamation points! Or the absurd and mysterious:

[quote]Like your family you don't know what you're talking about.

Whatever the hell that means. Wait until he tells you that you are "fishier than an aquarium!". He's used that one at least twice. His hate is cracking him up.

Go see some wacky art. Visit the Highline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310May 19, 2021 9:36 AM

R310 Are you confusing DL with Facebook? Shouldn't you be sharing personal photos of all the wonderful places you've been in NY with your friends on Facebook? The night under the stars, the hot surfers and pizza on a windy March day . . .And maybe you could help R305 with suggestions of how his Australian friends could spend the 'ton' of money they have.

I was in NY yesterday and Washington Square Park seemed packed compared to the surrounding streets and neighborhood with NYU grads in their purple cap and gowns. and despite what someone posted about 90% of the people wearing masks. I saw very few people wearing masks unless 'wearing' means hanging it from one ear or around your neck. On 7th Avenue South block after block of outdoor restaurant structures were completely empty late afternoon and so many places were boarded up and Douglas Elliman signs were everywhere. Hudson Yards was empty, Times Square was busier than the surrounding streets which were devoid of traffic of any kind and more people were wearing masks there than downtown.

by Anonymousreply 311May 19, 2021 6:51 PM

R310 Look at what R305 posted at R113 regarding family. Calm down sweetie and find and find another hobby!

by Anonymousreply 312May 19, 2021 9:45 PM

FNY is so very invested in this thread. Doesn’t she have any hobbies there in Hoboken?

by Anonymousreply 313May 20, 2021 3:13 PM

48 Hours in De Blasio's NY

5 people shot, one fatally, Tuesday night across the city and 7 people were shot, and 2 killed in another wild night of violence on Wednesday!

Union Square station saw 2 separate random slashings incidents one involving a 44-year old man on Tuesday and on Wednesday a 54-year old woman and another slashing occurred at the Fulton Street station in lower Manhattan yesterday.

2 people were punched in separate unprovoked street attacks in Queens yesterday.

Yesterday a 74-year old woman became the latest victim in another deadly hit-and-run in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 314May 20, 2021 4:33 PM

Little Island is open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315May 20, 2021 7:25 PM

The area around Penn Station was so crowded this morning it seemed pre-pandemic. (I even saw some some ladies of the five o’clock shadow!) The subway on the other hand while no longer almost empty is still pleasantly not packed.

The 2020 St. Patrick’s Day decorations were finally taken down on my floor. That was a little disorienting.

by Anonymousreply 316May 21, 2021 12:33 AM

I went to Macy's, ElderLez/r316, thank you! It was lovely. " ladies of the five o’clock shadow" :)

I'm interested in this place that just opened

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317May 21, 2021 1:29 AM

Oooohhhh. I need to see that R317!

by Anonymousreply 318May 21, 2021 1:32 AM

Right?

Opened yesterday, I think - I plan to go soon. You can call me "nobody" :).

by Anonymousreply 319May 21, 2021 1:36 AM

That "Little Park" has been Barry Diller's wet dream for ages, battles were fought, things went back and forth until it finally prevailed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320May 21, 2021 1:39 AM

More, and as usual for NYS King Cuomo was involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321May 21, 2021 1:39 AM

I got my second shot on 4/13/21 so by May 1st I was ready to try to get back into life a little. No restaurants because I didn't want to take my mask off but ready to go back into stores. Now, thanks to the latest fuck up by the CDC, probably forced to say what they did, this time by the Ds instead of Trump, most stores like Target and Costco are not requiring masks. 70% of Americans under 65 are not vaccinated and we're supposed to depend on their honesty, yeah right! Like those who refused to wear masks this entire time won't lie about being vaccinated or even those who did wear a mask.

So, I'm back to being a shut in, getting everything I need online and delivered.

I'm so fucking sick of being lied to about this goddamn virus!

by Anonymousreply 322May 21, 2021 1:40 AM

Still more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323May 21, 2021 1:40 AM

New York won't truly be reopened until the blonde headed lesbian is back on the street, standing at her card table, holding up pictures of naked women and yelling, "Sign the petition!"

by Anonymousreply 324May 21, 2021 1:42 AM

R324 Is she really still around? I don't think I've seen her in like 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 325May 21, 2021 2:08 AM

"Damn those philanthropists!"

by Anonymousreply 326May 21, 2021 2:10 AM

I don’t know if anyone else has a Crain’s subscription, but allegedly google searches for restaurants, lipstick and high heels are at record highs in New York.

by Anonymousreply 327May 21, 2021 10:04 PM

So many women world over stopped bothering with lipstick if not make-up all together during covid thanks to those mask wearing mandates. Now that things are getting back to normal women have to start wearing slap again.

High heels? Well again if no one was going anywhere (restaurants, nights out on town/bars/clubs, weddings, dates....) what's the point if getting dressed up and wearing heels.

Just this week on UES noticed many young women back in dresses/skirts and high heels (and no masks) out on dates or whatever.

The shop bottoms and girls at make-up and cosmetics counters all over city are rejoicing!

by Anonymousreply 328May 22, 2021 12:24 AM

R253 And looking at the Mayoral debacle I mean debate last night, NY has little to pick from.

by Anonymousreply 329June 3, 2021 7:11 AM

PSA Always look before crossing and look all ways New Yorkers don't have your back!

Tourist hit by scooter at 64th and Amsterdam; driver flees.

16-year old cyclist critically injured in Queens hit-and-run

10-year old hit by car while crossing street in NYC

Dirt-bike rider who struck 5-year old boy turns himself in.

63-year old cyclist attacked by two suspects riding a scooter.

E-Bike rider threatens to kill NYPD traffic agents. NYPD to offer cash for tips leading to illegal bikes, ATV's

by Anonymousreply 330June 5, 2021 4:37 PM

The only truthful section of the NYTs is Arts & Leisure.

by Anonymousreply 331June 5, 2021 4:41 PM

R331 I still enjoy the Real Estate, Travel, Obituaries, Sports and Business sections

by Anonymousreply 332June 5, 2021 5:21 PM

[quote] I still enjoy the Real Estate, Travel, Obituaries, Sports and Business sections

The Travel section has been taken over by women writing the stupidest shit. I mean, it really is some stupid, often whiny, drivel.

"I arrived at Machu Pichu and my hair was a mess so I was embarrassed to post any pictures on Facebook until I could get to a local town and buy some hair product because the airline misdirected my luggage."

"My Timmy couldn't enjoy the Louvre because it was too crowded. My husband had to hoist him up on his shoulders so he could see the Mona Lisa. And then we had an overpriced baguette in the museum cafeteria because Timmy was upset by the crowds."

"I went to the local post office to get Summer a passport, and even though she's only three, the PO clerk just could NOT get a good picture. Summer was crying and wouldn't look straight into the camera and the clerk kept telling me that I had to hold Summer up but my arm couldn't be in the picture. There needs to be a better way for three year olds to travel."

by Anonymousreply 333June 6, 2021 4:07 AM

Lol, an obvious DLer gives a TikTok review, watch until the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334June 6, 2021 2:35 PM

Washington Square Park now has a 10 pm curfew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 6, 2021 4:16 PM

Whatever happened to that park built on top of a human waste processing plant near Haarlem?

by Anonymousreply 336June 6, 2021 4:25 PM

R336 The human waste is now walking the streets of NY and riding the subways.

by Anonymousreply 337June 6, 2021 4:37 PM

R333 She sounds relatable for whiny New Yorkers. Just look at R334.

by Anonymousreply 338June 6, 2021 5:02 PM

R267 A month has past and I was wondering if your friends from Australia who had tons of money to spend bought anything in NY. I hear some beautiful deals can be had around Washington Square Park.

by Anonymousreply 339June 13, 2021 1:27 AM

R95 'how do they know it's not pit bull shit?'

By using their tongue like you do with those doodle-holes you lick.

by Anonymousreply 340June 13, 2021 1:40 AM

The new 'The Little Park' is open as well as the newly named Washington Scare Park

by Anonymousreply 341June 14, 2021 5:18 PM

I get the NYT overviews every morning. By and large, they've been of the scary, scary covid a la MSNBC perspective: stay tuned for our continuing portrait of doom.

by Anonymousreply 342June 14, 2021 5:58 PM

Wow this FNY cunt is all over this thread too, eh?

by Anonymousreply 343June 14, 2021 7:07 PM

R343 Yeah, just like shootings, punching, hit and runs, stabbings, random assaults . . . are all over the 5 boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 344June 14, 2021 8:24 PM

Seven shot-one fatally-overnight in NYC. It ain't over till it's over!

by Anonymousreply 345June 14, 2021 8:33 PM

I see you took my advice about the bedpan! Now just remember - it's not a cute replacement for your tin foil hat.

by Anonymousreply 346June 14, 2021 8:39 PM

R346 Don't you have something more exciting to do now that you are in NY for the first time in a year than talk about bed pans and spend time responding to my posts without ever referencing the thread's topic and since you apparently don't live in NY, why do you care? The more you respond the more idiotic and infantile you seem. You obviously have nothing else to do or anything significant to say and do you really think anyone gives a fuck about the menu for your post vaccination dinner party or the fact that you weren't stabbed or shot? The odds are unlikely just like dying or contracting COVID, but does that make it nothing to be concerned about. After all you did get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 347June 14, 2021 8:53 PM

I'd say your dance card has been empty for quite a long while.

Hasn't it.

by Anonymousreply 348June 14, 2021 9:04 PM

Sure Jan! Believe what you want. You ought to think about why you spend time trolling someone you find sad and pathetic? To feel better about your own sad and pathetic life? Well, I'm through work for the day. Bye, Bye Betty!

by Anonymousreply 349June 14, 2021 9:11 PM

Trolling you?

I'm simply pointing out that your shrill, gloating tone suggests that you've never actually lived in New York, are quite likely a frau with Daddy issues deeper than your gash and jam a Ken doll up yourself and pretend that's Mr. President Donald Trump Sir's tiny little plastic hand fingering your meaty clit.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 350June 14, 2021 9:13 PM

GONE GIRL ^ actress Lisa Banes succumbed to injuries sustained after getting struck by a hit-and-run scooter driver on the UWS on her way to a dinner party, friends and police have said. Banes, a Los Angeles resident, visiting the Big Apple for first time since the pandemic began was mowed down by a red and black scooter on June 4 on West 64th and Amsterdam Avenue. Banes suffered a traumatic brain injury and was unable to recover.

by Anonymousreply 351June 15, 2021 6:26 AM

R351 The scooter had a mower attached to it?

by Anonymousreply 352June 15, 2021 6:32 AM

R352 It had an indifferent driver attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 353June 15, 2021 6:45 AM

[quote][R352] It had an indifferent driver attached to it. —She was 65

You say that as if you actually cared about Lisa Banes as anything other than another casualty on your murder/assault list, FDY/Bedpan Betty.

It's vile to use Ms Bane's memory in this way, in service to pathetic trollery.

Here's her final performance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354June 15, 2021 4:54 PM

70% vaccinated in NY state. Time for celebration.

by Anonymousreply 355June 15, 2021 5:16 PM

The celebration has begun. They've been celebrating in Washington Square Park like it's 1979!

by Anonymousreply 356June 15, 2021 5:29 PM

Who wants to hazard a guess that Bedpan Betty hasn't been to New York since 1982?

by Anonymousreply 357June 15, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote]Who wants to hazard a guess that Bedpan Betty hasn't been to New York since 1982?

I believe FNY/Bedpan Betty when he says he lives in Weehawken and visits NYC, r357. He seems angry that New York City isn't the same as it was when we were geylings.

I probably threw him out of Boy Bar back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 358June 15, 2021 5:57 PM

Evidently "Relative to New Jersey, Weehawken has a crime rate that is higher than 77% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes" and "Your chance of being a victim of violent crime in Weehawken is 1 in 667 and property crime is 1 in 64."

Sounds kind of like a shithole.

Bedpan Betty must be on a bit of budget.

by Anonymousreply 359June 15, 2021 6:07 PM

R359 I'll hazard a guess that that rooftop party like the day in March watching hot surfers and eating pizza and the night under the stars is just more of your ranting trolling nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 360June 15, 2021 7:26 PM

As you weren't invited to either one, I expect they might as well be, FNY.

But I'm sure Weehawken provides all the nightlife you need.

Rats, tramps, homeless people, muggers and a nearly 40% chance of being burgled. Whee!

by Anonymousreply 361June 15, 2021 7:39 PM

R361 t's obvious you have a fabulist life that is as phony as your PSA announcements about blocking/ignoring me.

by Anonymousreply 362June 15, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote][R359] I'll hazard a guess that that rooftop party like the day in March watching hot surfers and eating pizza and the night under the stars is just more of your ranting trolling nonsense.

Wrong poster, Bedpan Betty/FNY! I am not r359/r361/Rooftop Party Guy. I am r358/surfer watcher/stargazer and lover of pizza and music. We are different posters who share a common disdain for you. I'm sure there are others that loathe you as well. Do try to keep up

March 11th was my beautiful day at the beach you are so obsessed with proving was cold, windy and miserable. The temperature was in the 60s from 11am to 11pm, and topped out at a balmy 71. It was sunny, and the wind was 3mph. Yes, there were surfers (in wetsuits), and later there was beer and pizza  under the stars and a beautiful crescent moon. There was even a band. Somehow it strains FNY's credulity that such a thing could be possible or enjoyable.

...but don't believe a fabulist, just check out the recorded weather history. BTW, Bedpan Betty/FNY/brendonjoseph, was "fabulist" on your word of the day calendar? You sure use it a lot. Kinda like the way you overuse "Sure, Jan!". "Sounds fabulist!". Some new material might be in order.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363June 15, 2021 8:34 PM

R363 And how was the weather on Sunday March 15th when you were allegedly at the beach. Remember a liar needs a good memory!

by Anonymousreply 364June 15, 2021 9:37 PM

Bedpan Betty is angry.

She accidently sat on her tinfoil hat.

And now only the bedpan keeps the rain away.

by Anonymousreply 365June 15, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote][R363] And how was the weather on Sunday March 15th when you were allegedly at the beach. Remember a liar needs a good memory!

I stayed at a hotel at the beach from March 9th through March 16th, you psychopath/Bedpan Betty/FNY. March 11th was unseasonably warm and glorious. No amount of calling me a liar (or a "fabulist") will change that fact. I've provided you proof of that.

March 15th was colder and windier, but still very sunny. I still managed to beach comb and pick up trash.

by Anonymousreply 366June 15, 2021 9:56 PM

Also, you pathetic troll/FNY/BedpanBetty/brandonjoseph/CindyAdams/RonaldMcDonald/r364, I'm not r365.

R365 is just another poster who finds you as sad and weird as I do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367June 15, 2021 10:06 PM

70% of Black New York City residents have not received a first dose

​61% of Hispanic/Latino New York City residents have not received a first dose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368June 16, 2021 1:36 AM

R366 Sybil a weather report proves nothing certainly not where you were!

by Anonymousreply 369June 16, 2021 3:40 AM

R367 Sybil a weather report proves nothing certainly not where you were!

by Anonymousreply 370June 16, 2021 3:42 AM

Bedpan Betty is very, very angry.

Be careful of her.

Don't snatch her bedpan!!!

CRIME!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 371June 16, 2021 3:42 AM

R366 Sybil, you must love the taste of your foot!

by Anonymousreply 372June 16, 2021 3:43 AM

R367 Sybil, you must love the taste of your foot!

by Anonymousreply 373June 16, 2021 3:44 AM

R366 Sybil, take your own advice.

by Anonymousreply 374June 16, 2021 3:51 AM

R367 Sybil, take your own advice.

by Anonymousreply 375June 16, 2021 3:53 AM

R366 Sybil, how do you have the time to post so often when you have such a busy 'dance card'?

by Anonymousreply 376June 16, 2021 3:54 AM

R367 Sybil, how do you have the time to post so often when you have such a busy 'dance card'?

by Anonymousreply 377June 16, 2021 3:55 AM

Cunt, I know your brain is very small and flooded with pleasure every time someone in New York dies.

But I and the other guy are two different people.

Go play with your cunt, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 378June 16, 2021 3:56 AM

R366 Is your last name Bates?

by Anonymousreply 379June 16, 2021 3:59 AM

R367 Is you last name Bates?

by Anonymousreply 380June 16, 2021 3:59 AM

R366 Norman, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 381June 16, 2021 4:00 AM

R367 Norman, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 382June 16, 2021 4:00 AM

R366/R367 Are you Siamese, fraternal, identical or polar body?

by Anonymousreply 383June 16, 2021 4:10 AM

R364/R365 Here's a list of films I know you'll love: Psycho, The Three Faces of Eve, Sisters and Dressed to Kill!

by Anonymousreply 384June 16, 2021 4:18 AM

This twat is beyond help.

by Anonymousreply 385June 16, 2021 4:21 AM

R385 This twat's confused! So Dominique went to the rooftop party during her first visit in over a year and loves bed pans and Danielle who has a fondness for pizza watched the hot surfers in March! Is that accurate?

by Anonymousreply 386June 16, 2021 8:05 AM

[quote[R366] Sybil a weather report proves nothing certainly not where you were! —Former New Yorker

Dear God, you are truly deranged. I am poster 329 in the thread linked below. I did not retroactively arrange the weather I experienced on March 11th, crazy man.

You should recognize the thread I linked to, since you posted nearly 200 times in it. One third of the thread!

16 posts in just a few hours here, ya crazy person/FNY.r368/r369/r370/r372/r373/r374/r375/r376/r377

*breath*

r379/r380/r381/r382/r383/r384

and the especially box o' crazy r386

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387June 16, 2021 8:37 AM

Also from that thread? You:

[quote][R135] and they are saying what I said at [[R146]]. NY has been changing for the worse for 20 years. Beige, Cake, Jackie 60, The Limelight, The Tunnel, 10th Avenue Lounge, Barracuda, Crowbar, Splash are long gone. Chelsea, The Village, UWS, East Village gentrified and suburbanized. 30 years ago people protested the building of NYCs first K-Mart on Astor Place now it's the norm. I really "lived" in NY. I lived in a different NY than the one that exists now.

Me: [quote]Bitch, ([R211]) please. I've been here from the 70s. I was shooting pool at Splash when the first Broadway Bares happened. I lived in the East Village and ran an after hours club there. I remember Chameleon, Boy Bar, Aztec, Pyramid, and I could go on, but the point is this: even if those places still existed, I wouldn't be frequenting them. That was decades ago. Now, I am more inclined to go to museums, walk in parks, beach comb, work in the community garden. I'm doing more than exist. I'm thriving.

When the bars and restaurants come trickling back, I'll be here. For someone who seems to have enjoyed NYC so much during a specific time from, you seem to enjoy even more shitting all over it now.

by Anonymousreply 388June 16, 2021 9:06 AM

The article at R368 Bothers me because people like the harpies of The View were among those who kept reiterating that people of color were at a disadvantage during the pandemic because of lack of access to health care. The vaccine is free and widely available in NY and you don't need an appointment so what's the problem?

by Anonymousreply 389June 16, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]The vaccine is free and widely available in NY and you don't need an appointment so what's the problem?

It doesn't make sense, r389. There are mobile vans and buses all over the city. There are two in Washington Heights. Lincoln Center, Empire State Building. Union Square, Parks, libraries, museums. Churches. I have seen a mobile van everywhere I've gone in the 5 boroughs over the past two weeks. There was one at the beach last weekend.

I stop and chat with these guys when I can, thanking them for providing this service. Most also do covid testing, So far, the outreach workers that I have encountered have been young Black men. They say they aren't very busy, but they do get a fair amount of walk ins who had previously been on the fence about the vaccine. They are doing a lot of good work.

The site with all the mobile vans that I linked to here was actually within r368's link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390June 16, 2021 6:25 PM

^Those statistics are disturbing. IDK but some reasons come to mind.

I imagine that many people are hesitant to give up so much personal information for reasons real and imagined. Real-I might have warrants, Imagined-Vaccine plus 5G will turn me in to a Reptilian.

Today my super was telling me that many evangelical Hispanics are being told it's from the devil and it's going to change your DNA. I saw the tenant who told him this and she WAS wearing a mask, credit for that but otherwise so crazy and fucking stupid.

There's probably some machismo involved, real men don't get sick and or they might fear the needle or the side effects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391June 16, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote]the harpies of The View were among those who kept reiterating that people of color were at a disadvantage during the pandemic because of lack of access to health care.

Not in NYC. They've done an excellent job getting vaccine access in all boroughs. They even have a service that will come to your apartment and give you the shot at home (for those who have mobility problems). It's being given in community centers, schools, drug stores, hospitals, Javits Center, health department offices

by Anonymousreply 392June 16, 2021 6:51 PM

R338 A lot of people are literally shitting all over New York. Hand out bed pans to the homeless.

by Anonymousreply 393June 16, 2021 6:58 PM

singing in the park

by Anonymousreply 394June 16, 2021 7:02 PM

I think the ability to schedule paid time off for the side effects of the vaccine has been an issue for some people.

I said it on the ‘Rona threads but given the rare, but serious, J&J issue there could have been a great campaign.

With a name like Johnson & Johnson you know it’s the vaccine for men.

by Anonymousreply 395June 16, 2021 7:20 PM

Opportunities for people of color are unfairly lacking.

People of color are willfully refusing vaccines out of paranoia.

Can both be true?

by Anonymousreply 396June 16, 2021 7:22 PM

R395 And what about the time off of work and the medical expenses and the potentially serious health risks if one does not get vaccinated and contracts COVID?

by Anonymousreply 397June 16, 2021 7:29 PM

R396 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink' Some of these people who might be seen. as victims of systemic racism are victims of their own indifference. And are they concerned about the risk they pose to others and the Delta variant which is mutating? Where's their sense of social responsibility? And you can't blame this on the former guy in the White House because the population described in the article at R368 don't sound like Trumpers.

by Anonymousreply 398June 16, 2021 8:22 PM

^ strike 'you' -this can't be blamed

by Anonymousreply 399June 16, 2021 8:34 PM

Why are you mad at me R397. I’m fully vaccinated. I am just pointing out that some people choose greater uncertain catastrophic risk over a certain bad immediate outcome.

by Anonymousreply 400June 16, 2021 9:31 PM

R400 My tone and language seemed angry? Seems like a reasonable question. If people are afraid to get the vaccine or worried about taking time off of work the results of not getting vaccinated could pose far greater problems not just for the individual, but also for family, coworkers and others they come into contact with. Don't you agree? If you want mad in every sense of the word look at R387 R388!

by Anonymousreply 401June 16, 2021 9:48 PM

I think we’ve all failed the marshmallow test at least once in our lives. If I were going to get fired for taking time off from work and I had children to feed who knows but I might gamble on not getting sick especially if I’d already had COVID once. Luckily I had plenty of vacation time and a pro-vaccine employer and no financial issues. So I try to be sympathetic to the fact that other people have different lives, stresses and motivations.

by Anonymousreply 402June 16, 2021 10:18 PM

R402 Are you aware of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act enacted by Congress that was signed into law March 18, 2020?

by Anonymousreply 403June 16, 2021 11:10 PM

R402 PS People in certain jobs might also lose their job if they are not vaccinated. So on the whole it seems that getting vaccinated is the smart choice and sensible advice is just as empathic as making excuses for.

by Anonymousreply 404June 16, 2021 11:32 PM

I was not aware that this was an advice column Ann Landers.

Sympathy and empathy are different words.

Yes, I am very acutely aware that some jobs require vaccination.

by Anonymousreply 405June 16, 2021 11:54 PM

R405 Not sure what your point is anymore than I understand why my perfectly reasoned response at R397 would make you think I'm mad at you. Nor do I understand what you're referring to when you say 'that some people choose greater uncertain catastrophic risk over a certain bad immediate outcome' R400 Among several things which are not clear what is the 'catastrophic risk' and is it an outcome worse than contracting COVID? After all we are talking about New Yorkers who face risk from being randomly punched, hit by a motor vehicle, pepper sprayed, assaulted, sliced or shot every day. And empathy and sympathy are synonyms and share apathy as an antonym. If sympathy is a fellowship of feeling it's something I don't share with those who refused to be vaccinated because like you I chose to be vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 406June 17, 2021 4:15 AM

Empathy and sympathy are not synonymous.

Empathy is being able to imagine what another person is experiencing.

Sympathy is feeling supportive of that person's responses to the experience.

by Anonymousreply 407June 17, 2021 4:24 AM

[quote]With a name like Johnson & Johnson you know it’s the vaccine for men.

LOL, ElderLez/r395, I missed ya. I'm a ModernaMan myself. I was the guy who forgot the Macy's flower show, until you kindly reminded me. I'm so glad you did. I sometimes sign as "nobody" and am a stargazer. I see you wasted no time in quickly ferreting out our old troll FNY/r397/bedpan betty/AnnLanders/error r404, who foolishly thought he could escape your eagle eye/bullshit barometer by not signing, as if his style o' crazy isn't visible from outer space. You've kicked things worse than him off your steps on your way to work when ya was a mere lesbling :)

[quote] If you want mad in every sense of the word look at [R387] [R388]! —r397

Oh, yeah, ElderLez, FNY is also r401, r406 and I am most definitely the barking mad r387/r388, and I would etch every word of those posts on FNY's forehead with a sharpei, if I could catch one sharp enough - but only if it would amuse you.

Or we could go to Thai Rock, instead. They are hosting a Fathers' Day Vaccination drive from 8am-6pm on June 20th. We can have a Pad Kaproaw or a curry on the waterfront while watching the sun set. My treat. You can invite FNY if ya wanna, but I'm just gonna throw him in the bay. 'til he drowns or floats downtide of me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408June 17, 2021 4:34 AM

^ needs to get laid.

by Anonymousreply 409June 17, 2021 4:39 AM

^^^says formula r409/FNY, who has posted a whopping ONE HUNDRED AND ONE times in this thread alone, sixteen of them back to back, with double posts. Here is some of the wit and wisdom that he's graced us with, from r282:

[quote]R279 Is a cunt!

Algonquin-level sparkling repartee, that. FNY needs another hobby.

Never mind all the spittle.

FNY needs another hobby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410June 17, 2021 5:02 AM

^ needs to get laid.

by Anonymousreply 411June 17, 2021 5:53 AM

If Webster's is to be trusted they list sympathy, compassion, pity, feeling, concern as synonyms for empathy.

by Anonymousreply 412June 17, 2021 6:30 AM

R407 needs to get laid

by Anonymousreply 413June 17, 2021 6:33 AM

At this stage, anyone who chooses not to take the vaccine deserves to catch Covid and die. No sympathies to give.

by Anonymousreply 414June 17, 2021 7:03 AM

R359 Sybil, where did you get those stats? Uranus? No homelessness, garbage, graffiti, vehicular deaths, stabbings, shootings, punchings, pepper sprayings, slicings here in Weehawken? I see in New Yuck 3 people were killed in separate shootings overnight and 5 more wounded and a 'good Samaritan' was stabbed on the 59th Street-Columbus Circle Station and 2 people were struck and injured by Fresh Direct truck at 57th and Park Avenue. And residents from Greenwich Village packed a NYPD meeting to address the chaos in Washington Scare Park. Quiet, clean, safe, serene and sane here Joisey.

by Anonymousreply 415June 17, 2021 7:40 PM

R407 New York is synonymous with crime and apathy. More hit and runs than a baseball game.

by Anonymousreply 416June 17, 2021 7:43 PM

I was wrong about FNY posting 101 times. He has, in fact,  posted over 170 posts in this thread. Has FNY/Bedpan Betty/brandonjoseph succumbed to Alzheimers? He sure repeats himself a lot:

[quote]"And truly Jan, who'd take you seriously now?" ." Sure Jan!"  "R66 Sure Jan".   "Here's a tip for you R164 stop watching so much ME TV! Madge?"  "R234 Oh, Madge"!

[quote]"R277 Sounds fabulist !" "me thinks you are a fabulous fabulist." " R361 t's obvious you have a fabulist life."

FNY/Bedpan Betty is scatological:

[quote]" R113 'let's pretend a cunt like you isn't totally full of shit'. "Maybe he just shit in his pants which always looked like they need a good washing anyway!" "R95 'how do they know it's not pit bull shit?' By using their tongue like you do with those doodle-holes you lick." "Worry about your own cesspool dear!" "R202 Did you happen to see any UFOs from Uranus?"

FNY has Mommy issues:

[quote]"Is that what your mother said when you asked who your father was?" " Just like your mother was terribly used by all those drunken sailors!" " what are you inhaling besides the crotch rot in your mother's basement?"

by Anonymousreply 417June 17, 2021 8:35 PM

REOPENING AND REGRESSING

Young mother among 3 killed during bloody night in NYC; 10 shot ABC 7

Man beat, struck on head with glass bottle on Brooklyn train during dispute. WINS NY

Arrest made after 82-year-old man punched, knocked to ground in NYC bodega ABC 7

Man attacks BK straphangers with rock in unprovoked attack Patch 40 mins ago

Two men fatally shot outside Brooklyn NYCHA housing project Thursday Microsoft News

Tensions boil over as Mayoral candidates debate tackling gun violence ahead of NYC primary ABC 7

AstraZeneca vaccine recipients will be barred from Broadway show National Review

State pols call for stiffer e-scooter hit-and-run penalties after latest NYC fatality NY Post

NYC lags behind other US cities in getting workers to return to offices NY Post (I wonder why?)

by Anonymousreply 418June 17, 2021 8:54 PM

R359 You girls still haven't provided the source of you Weehawken crime stats have 'we'?

by Anonymousreply 419June 17, 2021 10:01 PM

Apologies for the delay in responding. After a certain number of replies on a thread my phone goes glitchy and won't let me post.

Dear R406/R419 the catastrophic risk is the risk of getting symptomatically infected with SARS-CoV-2. I wasn't the one who was posting about crime in Weehawken and honestly I don't care, but since you keep nattering on about it I've googled it for you and attach.

Stargazer R408 what a lovely offer! My wife and I have plans that evening. But it's supposed to be a beautiful day on Sunday and I am sure we'll be at the beach in the afternoon if you'd be willing to cross the bridge from The Rockaways to suburban (and A+ safe) Long Beach to meet us.

Do you think they'll ever hold the Masa festival again on Beach 97?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420June 18, 2021 12:29 AM

ElderLez, yes, that was where I got my info too - it's the first link given after Google search for Weehawken crime rate.

by Anonymousreply 421June 18, 2021 12:32 AM

R420 Thanks. Interesting that no news reports of crime or murder is ever reported for Weehawken though frequently for Newark and Jersey City and of course New York and Weehawken is right across the river from midtown and not far from Newark and JC.

by Anonymousreply 422June 18, 2021 12:58 AM

Sorry meant to add for R408 that I'm a ModernaMaiden myself and Macy's has Pride windows now if you haven't been back. (I found them just kind of meh, but still happy making on the way to work.)

Always happy to be of assistance R420. So much of the feeling of safety or lack thereof is disconnected from actual risk numbers.

by Anonymousreply 423June 18, 2021 1:38 AM

R423 I googled murder in Weehawken and found reports from 2019, 2015, 2009 and 2006 but nothing current and certainly nothing that occurs daily and would be described as 'random' and 'unprovoked' or 'stray bullets'. And according to an ABC news poll crime leads voter concern with a surge in shootings pushing public safety to the top of voters' concerns. Crime and policing have dominated recent mayoral debates. You seem disconnected from the concerns of your fellow New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 424June 18, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote]Stargazer [R408] what a lovely offer! My wife and I have plans that evening.

I will happily foray into your neck o'the woods, ElderLez/r420. Keep an eye on this space and I'll set up a throwaway email account here some time in the next week, or perhaps you already have one handy (damn you Muriel, with your lack of previews, edits and pms!).

We shall find a time and place to meet. I'll check into the Masa Fest and get back to you.

Until then, here is a story of Oct 1st, 2019, another unseasonably warm day at the beach, not unlike my own earlier mundane and yet somehow fabulist! tale of beachcombing  on a lovely breezy 60 degree plus day on March 11th of  2021. This story also involves surfers being in the ocean at a time when many people think they can't or shouldn't be. We all know that surfers never defy authority, of course, and yet...

This is a cautionary tale, because 3 young men were enticed into the Atlantic that deceptively warm October day, but only one came back out alive. That kid was rescued by four female surfers. One of them was three months pregnant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425June 18, 2021 2:31 PM

R425 Needs to find a daddy and get laid. Fishing in the wrong pond,

by Anonymousreply 426June 18, 2021 6:29 PM

^^^Are you ok, FNY/brandonjoseph/BedpanBetty/Jealous/JoyousInJoisey? You keep repeating yourself, as shown in r417. You've used the phrase "needs to get laid" four times in two days. You have an unhealthy obsession with other posters' sex lives and you aren't making sense.

Then there's the fact that you have posted almost 200 times in a thread of only 427 posts. You have filled nearly HALF of this thread with nothing but crime stats and childish insults - and it's the *other* posters that need to get laid?

The Mermaid Parade is returning Sept 12th. I'll be there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427June 18, 2021 9:59 PM

^ desperately needs to get laid!

by Anonymousreply 428June 18, 2021 10:45 PM

How's the night life in Weehawken, Pearl of Hudson River and Lily of the Garden State?

by Anonymousreply 429June 18, 2021 10:47 PM

^ Is that your idea of Algonquin-level sparkling repartee, Dorothy?

by Anonymousreply 430June 18, 2021 10:59 PM

NEW YORK CELEBRATES JUNETEENTH

15 -year old stabbed to death in Brooklyn was killed over parking spot!

Gunman opens fire on Bronx street next to woman, child!

Teen driver careens onto sidewalk when rival gang member opens fire in Brooklyn!

'Violent' sex offender brutally rapes 61-year old woman in Ward's Island Park!

Driver, female passenger dead after motocycle crash in Brooklyn!

FDNY truck collides with vehicle in Brooklyn, injures 10!

Cop hit by stray bullet at NYPD firing range plans to sue for $5M!

Bear found dead in NYC parking lot suffered 'blunt force trauma'!

'Combative' patient tries to attack paramedic!

3 teens steal Hadsidic man's hat, demand he yell 'Free Palestine'!

Washington Square Park statue of famous Italian vandalized!

by Anonymousreply 431June 18, 2021 11:31 PM

You are very confused, FNY/r428/r430.

r429 was not the poster who made the Algonquin comment originally, though his level of wit easily outclasses yours, which rarely rises above the level of

[quote]"using their tongue like you do with those doodle-holes you lick."

and

[quote]needs to get laid

- though, to be fair, your scatological schoolboy insults made it an easy bar for r429 to clear.

r427 made the Algonquin comment. There are at least two different posters that loathe you. Do keep up.

Here's some fun things to do in nyc:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432June 18, 2021 11:40 PM

^Thou doth protest too much Sybil!

by Anonymousreply 433June 18, 2021 11:43 PM

Young NYC homeless people to get $1,250 in no-strings attached cash each month. Is this going to combat the spike in the city's homeless or attract more to the city?

by Anonymousreply 434June 19, 2021 12:14 AM

Thanks R425. That sounds good.

As I have said before, it really doesn't matter to me what the crime rate in Weehawken is. If you are happy there FYNY, more power to you. But innumeracy really bugs me and so your comment about there only being four murders in the past 15 years bothered me since it was a numerator without a denominator. It's like if I told you I was first in my class (I wasn't, but humor me). Were there 2 people in my class? 20,000? The denominator is very important. Anyway, do you realize there are only about 14,500 people in Weehawken? Of course Jersey City has more murders than you do. For context, I live in a suburban municipality that has three times the people as Weehawken and only one murder in the past 15 years. Weehawken is a scary place! I also think you might be suffering from a logical fallacy in that you seem to think that being killed by a stranger is somehow more salient than being killed by someone you know. May we all die quietly in our sleep at the ripe old age of 120, but all of us have more to fear from people we know than from strangers, from a statistical point of view.

by Anonymousreply 435June 19, 2021 12:36 AM

^ more wisdom from the passive-aggressive snarky old dyke who doesn't think the words empathy and sympathy are synonymous and who is trying to control DL a site for gay men. Dykes are synonymous with buzz kill.

by Anonymousreply 436June 19, 2021 12:47 AM

^Senile In Weehawken.

mean, too.

Catch ya later this week, ElderLez

by Anonymousreply 437June 19, 2021 12:56 AM

It was a site for gay men and lesbians in 1997 when I started here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438June 19, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote]It was a site for gay men and lesbians in 1997 when I started here.

Still is, sister.

Also? Words have meanings, and nuance matters.

Cranford Garden:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439June 19, 2021 1:21 AM

A 35-year old man was slashed in the head at New York City's busiest subway station in Times Square during the Friday evening rush. What a start to the weekend! Is there no safe place in NYC anymore?

by Anonymousreply 440June 19, 2021 1:57 AM

2 Children and 2 adults were hospitalized after they were struck by vehicle during an attempted carjacking in Brooklyn Friday night. The streets in NYC are out of control!

by Anonymousreply 441June 19, 2021 5:40 AM

R432 Dominique and Daniele you are slipping. The one of you that made the Algonquin reference is the same one of you denying! The two people who loathe me both talk to the old crone and talk about Macy's flowers . . .so much in common it's a phenomena!

by Anonymousreply 442June 19, 2021 9:40 AM

R432 Look in the mirror and meet R427

by Anonymousreply 443June 19, 2021 9:48 AM

R427 R432 are you also ElderLez?

by Anonymousreply 444June 19, 2021 9:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445June 19, 2021 12:48 PM

When reading her posts, I find it's best to think of ElderLez as Eyeore. Lightens her content up a little.

by Anonymousreply 446June 19, 2021 12:49 PM

FNY I assure that both my numerator and my denominator are one. Check my posting history if you are really suspicious. (Sometimes people get me and Old Lez confused. She's a wonderful person, I am always happy to see a post from her and she also authenticates. But like sympathy and empathy, elder and old are not interchangeable in all circumstances.)

by Anonymousreply 447June 19, 2021 2:50 PM

Old bones are old bones.

by Anonymousreply 448June 19, 2021 3:00 PM

R447 Thanks Eve, but unlike R446 I prefer to pronounce your alter ego a parasite which is synonymous with leech, bloodsucker, sponge . . .

by Anonymousreply 449June 19, 2021 6:07 PM

R445 As the NY Post headline stated 'This is NYC Now' as video shows children in the crossfire of an assassination attempt in broad daylight.

by Anonymousreply 450June 19, 2021 6:45 PM

R447 'elder and older are not interchangeable in all circumstances'

And certainly not as interchangeable as you Eve.

by Anonymousreply 451June 19, 2021 9:03 PM

The inmates have taken over:

Taser-wielding madman armed with knife triggers bloody stampede in Washington Scare Park early Saturday. Sounds like a Seattle-style 'summer of love' is imminent.

An 87-year old who woman was sucker-punched Saturday exiting a Morton Williams in Grammercy said 'You can't even go to the supermarket these days'

Tourist-magnet SoHo is experiencing a 37% decrease in retail rents.

NYC is in free fall and all the flowers, mermaids, empty Vessels and little parks on tulip shaped pillars won't stop it.

by Anonymousreply 452June 19, 2021 10:07 PM

The Repugs are attacking NYC and California because they’re trying another one of their coups in both places

by Anonymousreply 453June 20, 2021 4:08 AM

The coup it seems is doing fine without any outside help.

by Anonymousreply 454June 20, 2021 5:25 AM

Multiple shootings leave 1, dead 8 wounded overnight.

Ambulance stolen outside Mount Sinai West in hell's Kitchen

Cyclist, 22. killed by Amazon truck in the Bronx

Domestic dispute leads to stabbing, car crash in Midtown.

NEW YORK IS REOPENING AND TAKING IT TO THE STREETS!

by Anonymousreply 455June 20, 2021 5:38 AM

SUNDAY IN NEW YORK!

At least 11 shot, two killed, during another bloody night in NYC even bloodier than Saturday which saw 8 wounded and 1 dead.

Eric Adams campaign volunteer stabbed in broad daylight.

Gunman arrested after firing at transit cops in NYC.

Dog tied to cinderblock found dead in East River. Not a city fit for man or beast!

Bullet fired into Brooklyn synagogue.

6 celebrating at a family gathering struck by vehicle in NYC, suspect flees. Happy Father's Day

2 officers taking an accident report in Queens injured when another car crashes into the back of a police vehicle. The irony!

The Taser and knife-wielding madman who triggered stampede in Washington Scare Park was released WITHOUT bail! WTF!

Yankees honor 2 sisters who survived harrowing Bronx shooting. Surviving on NY streets is some achievement!

by Anonymousreply 456June 21, 2021 6:08 PM

R453 Stop with the paranoid conspiracy theories. Bad policies and failed leadership are destroying NY and California. See R456 R452 R455 to see what a typical weekend in De Blasio's NY has become!

by Anonymousreply 457June 21, 2021 7:21 PM

Friends of Dorothy celebrate re-opening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458June 22, 2021 12:27 AM

New Yorkers react with anything at hand! 6/21/21

Woman dies after husband brutally beat her with a crowbar at Washington Heights bus stop.

Off-duty NYPD officer attacked with a bat in the Bronx.

Man arrested for intentionally running over school bus driver in NYC.

Tourist randomly attacked with glass bottle aboard NYC subway.

by Anonymousreply 459June 22, 2021 3:08 AM

CRAZY IN MANHATTAN

Woman pushing stroller hit and killed by car in NYC

Man, 57, in critical condition after Brooklyn hit-and-run

Cyclist in critical condition after being hit by car in NYC

man fatally shot in BMW over $3,000 chain in upper Manhattan

Man shot in mouth while driving on FDR drive

27-year old was shot in the face inside a car in Kips Bay

Man fatally shot during fight outside Bronx apartment building

Transgender woman stabbed with screwdriver on NYC subway

Vandals cut power at NYC subway station, disrupting yesterday's morning commute

Elderly diners attacked by homeless man outside 'Think Coffee' on Bleecker Street.

Homeless man assaults, bites cops at NYC hospital

Cops bust homeless man for attempted rape in Midtown

Trio of armed robbers hold Bronx couple at gunpoint, steal $100K in home invasion

Hate-fueled assailant targets Muslims in Queens assault spree

Police search for man who kicked Asian woman in Chelsea

George Floyd statue in Brooklyn defaced with white nationalist graffiti

by Anonymousreply 460June 24, 2021 9:20 PM

R1 FYI Here's the latest spate of horrifying attacks you may have missed due to the power outages in CA. Seems your state is about as well-run as NYC.

June 17-June 24

A transgender woman was stabbed with a screwdriver on a NYC subway. An off-duty police officer was attacked with a bat in the Bronx. A tourist was randomly attacked with a glass bottle aboard a NYC subway. A woman was killed when her husband beat her with a crowbar at a Washington Heights bus stop. Eric Adams campaign manager was stabbed in broad daylight. An 87-year old woman was sucker-punched exiting a Morton Williams store in Grammercy. A 15-year old was stabbed to death in Brooklyn over a parking spot. A man was struck on the head with a glass bottle on a Brooklyn train. A man randomly attacked straphangers with a rock. An 82-year old man was punched knocked to the ground in a NYC bodega. A 35-year old man was slashed in the head during las Friday's evening rush hour in a Time s Square subway station last Friday. The week that was.

by Anonymousreply 461June 25, 2021 12:49 AM

R460 R461 Well, if you're going to nitpick.....

by Anonymousreply 462June 25, 2021 2:15 AM

The weekend hasn't officially begun, but the party has started.

Gunman opened fire on 5 people outside Bronx graduation party.

Gunman hops off dirt bike and shoots at SUV driver in the Bronx

Man punched, robbed at gunpoint in Brooklyn subway station

Apparent innocent bystander, 27 shot in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 463June 25, 2021 9:24 PM

R463 This random stuff has been going on for decades in NYC. It had taken a sabbatical during the pandemic lock-down, but now it's taken a surge in most more densely populated cities, in part because some people forgotten how to act civilized in a social and public settings.

by Anonymousreply 464June 25, 2021 9:40 PM

and disbanding the anti-crime unit and demoralizing the police turned out not to be a good idea and more than ever, the attacks are random and unprovoked and guns are more plentiful and the shooters lack marksmanship and the crime is more pervasive and unrelenting and daily multiple shootings with several killed or wounded are the new normal. and in all neighborhoods with few 'safe' neighborhoods anymore.

by Anonymousreply 465June 26, 2021 3:06 AM

R202

'I was posting to DL while the astronomers set up their telescopes, silly' Doesn't everyone. But isn't it silly Sybil to bother responding to the 'unrelenting negativity' while you're having such a fabulist evening where you danced, sang and watched the sky until almost dawn and then watched the sun rise from your stoop, then went to bed.

by Anonymousreply 466June 27, 2021 1:43 AM

R439 frustrated schoolmarm

by Anonymousreply 467June 27, 2021 4:44 AM

After Sunday's Times Square shooting, 1 man was killed and 8 wounded Monday in shootings across NYC and more stabbings on subways. Flying bullets 'not on my itinerary' as tourists fear for their safety.

by Anonymousreply 468June 29, 2021 7:05 PM

FEAR CITY 24 hours in De Blasio's NY

Multiple teens among at least 12 hurt in 8 overnight shootings in NYC > An intruder fractures NYC doorman's face after being ordered to leave> Homeless man beaten with baseball bat, stabbed by other vagrants> Man pulls out ax during subway fight> Dirt bikers pummel Brooklyn postal worker> Man assaulted on UES in possible hate crime> Man punched during parking dispute in the Bronx> Man attacks, slashes deli worker in Brooklyn> Ambulette van hit pedestrian in Brooklyn and drove away> Group of men stab a man during early morning argument in Chinatown

by Anonymousreply 469June 30, 2021 8:37 PM

Oh, say can he see. July 4th weekend underway in Fun City as Lurch remains in denial.

3 people wounded in 2 separate knife attacks in Manhattan-3 wounded in 2 separate NYC shootings Saturday-Man slashed during drunken brawl on NYC subway platform-3 injured in drive-by shooting in NYC Friday-Taxi crashes into Japanese restaurant-65-year old man pummeled by stranger on NYC subway train-Woman randomly attacked on NYC sidewalk in broad daylight-4 injured after DOC bus plows into scaffolding in NYC-Carjackers in Hell's Kitchen drag victim

by Anonymousreply 470July 3, 2021 5:33 PM

Suddenly Chicago. Joey Chestnut broke a record for hot dog eating, but it seems another record may have been broken over the weekend as 2 dozen people were shot, one fatally across NYC over the 4th weekend!

by Anonymousreply 471July 5, 2021 8:47 PM

Literally reopening. 4 days after a sinkhole on the Upper West Side swallowed 2 cars another massive sinkhole opened up on the Upper East Side as De Blasio pushes urgent need for 'congestion tax' for cars driving (or sinking) in the Central Business District.

by Anonymousreply 472July 15, 2021 11:27 PM

R6 This is OP's obsession. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. If it were a real thing rather than some sort of mental problem, he'd be using his time way more productively than posting and arguing on DL.

by Anonymousreply 473July 16, 2021 12:04 AM

Yes R6 you should take the Park Slope Princess' advice and spend your time more productively going from thread to thread endlessly talking about another poster and issuing warnings like a modern day Paula Revere. Not stressed here. Thanks for the concern something Lurch de Blasio seems to lack. Adams seems to have taken over already so Bill can sit back and light up another bowl with his grifter wife.

by Anonymousreply 474July 16, 2021 12:33 AM

You can't please everyone. 'It's extremely loud and annoying' East Village residents raise issues with outdoor dining

by Anonymousreply 475July 16, 2021 12:49 AM

What me worry? Departing Mayor suggests 'politics' motivating Times Square business leaders concerned about gun violence. It's none of their business I guess as they see business falling off after 2 widely report incidents of tourist struck by stray bullets.

by Anonymousreply 476July 16, 2021 12:56 AM

Ney York night life is dead. Was in the city late Thursday night through early morning Friday. PJ Clark's which used to have people spilling out onto the sidewalk on Third Avenue from 4pm till closing, now closes at 10PM and at 9pm there were only a handful of people there. The city felt dark and empty and quiet. The traffic on the street was mostly garbage trucks and delivery trucks with hardly a yellow cab in sight,

by Anonymousreply 477July 17, 2021 6:31 PM

Thanks, Lexie.

by Anonymousreply 478July 17, 2021 6:33 PM

^ on cue and on point as always!

by Anonymousreply 479July 17, 2021 6:43 PM

^Who's Lexie?

by Anonymousreply 480July 17, 2021 6:53 PM

^ 'Lexie'=trivial pursuit

by Anonymousreply 481July 17, 2021 7:07 PM

^ Haha, I see. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 482July 17, 2021 7:10 PM

^ No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483July 17, 2021 7:47 PM

Sign of the times: The PJ Clarkes by Lincoln Center is 'temporarily closed'

by Anonymousreply 484July 17, 2021 7:53 PM

Wallace Shawn was in that crap?

by Anonymousreply 485July 17, 2021 7:58 PM

Saw Kristen Johnston at West Bank Cafe across from theater row on 42nd when she was appearing with Wally Shawn in a production of Shawn's play "Aunt Don and Lemon" She was having a good time at the bar with friends and/or castmates.

by Anonymousreply 486July 17, 2021 8:32 PM

"Yes, she's going to be obnoxiously insisting on smoking, and will lean up against a window. She'll say something like "I could just die." You'll see it coming from a mile away, don't worry."

by Anonymousreply 487July 17, 2021 8:37 PM

R225 and now King Cuomo is being dethroned!

by Anonymousreply 488August 8, 2021 1:24 AM

By the numbers:10 people shot-3 fatally- in a 4 hour span Saturday night in 6 shootings including 4 teens.

by Anonymousreply 489August 8, 2021 9:50 PM

R429 Safer, saner, cleaner, quieter and more relaxed. Great views of Manhattan without the sight and smell of the homeless. Hoboken is five minutes away and filled with young professionals who live there now that NY has lost its luster. What's happening in NY? Not much from what I experienced lately.

by Anonymousreply 490August 9, 2021 6:23 PM

NYC on the attack:

Woman killed, husband hurt when drag racer hops curb in Brooklyn

2women, 2 children struck by hit-n-run driver in Washington Heights

Knife-wielding man bites EMS worker, steals ambulance near Bronx Zoo

Man stabbed in the head in unprovoked Bronx attack

Teen fatally shot NYC home late Saturday

15-year old fighting for his life after being shot multiple times

Dirt-bike rider attacks, punches NYPD traffic enforcement agent

Man slashed after being attacked in Sunset Park

by Anonymousreply 491August 9, 2021 6:53 PM

R464 New Yorker on cell phones, bikes, elevators, subways or just walking on the streets and sidewalks forgot how to be civilized decades ago and do you believe that people being randomly sliced, shot, hammered , pushed on to subway tracks, suckered punched, slammed in a vehicular hit-and-run . . .is just post COVID lack of civility?

by Anonymousreply 492August 13, 2021 7:39 AM

Friday the 13th Just another day in the rotting apple

Man gunned down in Bronx deli, five others injured in spate of shootings between 4pm and 7pm Friday

2 dead amid 7 overnight shootings in NYC Thursday night

67 year old woman attack on subway in Midtown

OD death toll mounts in Washington Scare Park including 3 last week alone

by Anonymousreply 493August 14, 2021 5:23 PM

Law and Disorder NYC: 15 people killed or wounded in 11 shootings across NYC Friday

1 killed, innocent bystander injured in Bronx shooting Sunday

Man attacked by hatchet wielding man at NYC ATM

22-year old woman was nearly shoved onto subway tracks in Times Square station in an unprovoked attack

Mother of 'Law and Order' extra fatally shot at NY deli Friday calls for more cops

by Anonymousreply 494August 16, 2021 3:49 AM

Changing the face of NY night life. 17 shot across NYC in a 2 hour span Sunday including 8 people shot at a Brooklyn party.

by Anonymousreply 495August 16, 2021 4:52 PM

NY remains plagued by gun violence as 16 people including teens were shot in a 90 min span

by Anonymousreply 496August 18, 2021 12:27 AM

Crime has become more rampant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497August 14, 2022 11:28 PM

Hit and runs are back with a vengeance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498August 15, 2022 1:16 AM

🛑🛑🛑

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499August 15, 2022 1:18 AM

Slow down!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500August 15, 2022 1:19 AM

Squeegee-men are back at work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501August 15, 2022 1:23 AM

🚵🚵‍♂️🚵‍♀️Cyclists refuse to yield to pedestrians

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502August 15, 2022 1:25 AM

Teenage victims

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503August 15, 2022 1:26 AM

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504August 15, 2022 1:28 AM

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505August 15, 2022 1:29 AM

and tweens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506August 15, 2022 1:31 AM

Teen stabbed outside store in midtown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 15, 2022 5:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!