Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

has new york city bounced back?

last year, dataloungers who lived outside nyc were gloating that the city seemed on the cusp of some irreparable damage. the subways were abandoned but for homeless people. crime was soaring post-riots. work places were staying empty. businesses were closing.

but dataloungers who lived in nyc had a different view. the subways were never easier to use. any crime was not happening where dataloungers lived. nyc would become a mecca for work-from-home because why work from home in scarsdale? and the businesses that were closing would leave room for new and more interesting businesses to start up.

so what's the deal? is nyc back? is it suffering?

by Anonymousreply 600April 22, 2021 11:30 PM

Not yet. North Brooklyn is not that bad because people actually live here. Plenty of things open and when the weather was nice it almost seemed normal with people eating outdoors. But the city feels like a ghost town with all the empty offices and restaurants that catered to workers. My friend in HK hates it and a friend of his was mugged in broad daylight, forced to an ATM for cash. He wants to move to Bushwick.

by Anonymousreply 1February 8, 2021 11:42 AM

Fingers crossed that when DeBlasio is gone the city doesn't elect another far left lib like Maya Wiley who still wants to defund the police, even with crime up across the board. She also wants to tax the rich to pay for programs to ensure the poor who elect not to work will have a comfortable life, which invites the poor from other places to find their way to the city. The people who pay taxes will continue to leave and not return for fear of being a crime statistic. The middle class, whoever is left, will struggle to stay alive and keep up with bills since they won't qualify for anything, but will be expected to pay close to 40% of income to support others. Big problems ahead it seems.

by Anonymousreply 2February 8, 2021 11:47 AM

Compared to April, May, June and through until late summer yes, city is "back", but only just. There is so much more to go and don't believe things will be anywhere near 100% for another year or longer.

Subways still are largely devoid of passengers aside from essential workers and tourists. They are also still full of homeless and it seems every other day someone is being attacked, thrown on tracks, or whatever else is happening down there.

Offices still are not bringing back full or even half staff in most cases. Mayor says he will order city agencies to call employees back in May, but we shall see.

The mass rush to flee city seems to have abated, and some moving in activity is seen.

Still for most part city is empty starting early evening and dead quiet overnight. Then again bars and restaurants are either closed or forced to shut down by 10PM so there isn't any "night life" to keep people out anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3February 8, 2021 11:51 AM

Is studio 54 still good?

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2021 11:57 AM

...and we were all ready to drop Snake Plissken in.

Well, shucks.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2021 11:58 AM

City won't be anywhere near "bounced back" until bars and restaurants are allowed to return to normal hours, tourists return, and performing arts/entertainment/Broadway, etc.. opens up as well.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2021 11:59 AM

As long as "old people killer" Cuomo and "I hate whites" de Blasio are in charge, the city will continue to suffer. New York works better when centrist Republicans are in charge. Both of these men are hellbent on destroying NYC and all its businesses.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2021 12:24 PM

You have no tourists, so you have no money.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2021 12:25 PM

It became horrible. NYC was in a decline for a while, even before the pandemic. There were still great elements, but it was becoming a giant mall. The rents killed the cool, small businesses that made the city a legend. It became too expensive for artists to make their way. We decided to leave and moved out last week (during a snowstorm - whee!). We were sick of making low six figures and paying a fortune in taxes to live in a small, expensive apartment, in a neighborhood that, once glamorous, has become filled with homeless, crime, muggings, etc, When your only option of going out to eat means sitting in the freezing cold with the trash and rats, NYC becomes undesirable very quickly.

We moved to the Southwest, bought a convertible and are settling in to our new huge new place, with our backyard and our pool. ZERO regrets so far. When life returns, in many years, to normal, we will go back as visitors, but we have no desire to live in NYC again.

As a liberal, living in NYC has made me more centrist. The city needs someone fiscally smart and tough on crime. I know many, many, middle and upper middle class people who are either leaving or seriously exploring living at least 50% of the time in another state to bring down their tax burden. I don't blame them. When it becomes clear the lunatics are running the asylum, the desire to stay diminishes quite quickly. There will also be some New Yorkers that are ride or die and will still claim the city is the best in the world. It was. It no longer is.

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2021 12:47 PM

Manhattan won’t be back for several years. Offices are still completely empty as are subways. Recovery is a LONG way off.

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2021 12:50 PM

r9 speaks the truth. I've lived in Manhattan for 30 years and I'm trying to figure out what to do and where to go. I'm in the difficult employment age group, white male late 50s.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote]The rents killed the cool, small businesses that made the city a legend.

That's the case in every big city, I find. It's almost entirely megabrands and we're poorer for it.

[quote]As a liberal, living in NYC has made me more centrist. The city needs someone fiscally smart and tough on crime.

OK that made me giggle a lot given the fiery liberal passion on DL, because personally I've always held the center is where it's at and most people eventually move there when they realize how the world works. All the grit of lost New York is a great idea... living it is entirely different. I don't mean that as a judgment, it's just amusing as people pack it in under the weight of the inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2021 12:55 PM

it's broke. the real pain hasn't arrived yet.

by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2021 12:56 PM

yeah, it's only getting started

by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2021 12:59 PM

I drive by a train station on the Metro north line. Monday thru Friday the 90 or so parking spots perpendicular to the Grand Central bound tracks would ALWAYS be completely filled with cars. Since April only 7 or 8 cars fill the spots out of 90. Almost everyone is still staying home and the few people who are going into the city for their job are driving in.

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2021 1:13 PM

R9 sadly, I feel this is a metaphor for the USA itself. I truly hurt at what this country is becoming.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2021 1:28 PM

Of course it is not back.

There is a still a pandemic raging OP. Office space is largrly empty. All "nightlife" has to close by 10pm. There are few commuters coming into work and tourism barely exists.

On what planet is any city back? We aren't out of this pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2021 1:36 PM

R8

[quote]You have no tourists, so you have no money.

And until NYC has another mayor who will actually tackle the crime problem head on, NYC will have no tourists, full stop

I went in 2003 and loved it despite being poor and staying in a one star hotel. But until it is back the way it was then, I have no desire to return, even on a five star hotel budget

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2021 2:01 PM

What’s with OP’s intentional lack of capitalization?

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2021 2:23 PM

I think it probably will bounce back, eventually - but it is way, way too premature to say it's bounced back - as others have said, we're still in the middle of a global pandemic. New York City is a prime tourist destination but it will be a while yet before it gets back to that - I am glad I visited several years ago, I wouldn't go near it for a long time now.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2021 2:43 PM

It is like all other places: Paying the price of a pandemic.

It will be back when everything else is back.

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2021 3:01 PM

[quote]And until NYC has another mayor who will actually tackle the crime problem head on, NYC will have no tourists, full stop

I can't believe how stupid some DataLoungers are.

Crime hasn't gone up because of the mayor. Crime has gone up because the entertainment, leisure and hospitality industries have ceased and the street space once taken up by now-remote business, retail and financial workers is empty and itinerants have taken their place on the street.

As for tourists, it's not crime keeping them away. They're not vising NYC because there's nothing to fucking do.

It is simple economics. Once the pandemic is over things will slowly change.

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2021 3:27 PM

Tourists have read on DL that gay men rim each other in Sodom on the Hudson. Horrified, they will not be back to visit.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote] Fingers crossed that when DeBlasio is gone the city doesn't elect another far left lib like Maya Wiley who still wants to defund the police, even with crime up across the board. She also wants to tax the rich to pay for programs to ensure the poor who elect not to work will have a comfortable life, which invites the poor from other places to find their way to the city.

It's amazing to me that people who can twist reality to think this way still get to vote.

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] And until NYC has another mayor who will actually tackle the crime problem head on, NYC will have no tourists, full stop

The federal government giving bail out money to cities would help. Crime increases whenever there is a recession.

Trump actively lobbied to hold back money from cities. He is a big reason why NY and other cities are experiencing an increase in crime

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2021 3:52 PM

NYC will recover quickly if vaccines are given out by this summer. If this goes on another year, the return to a normal economy will be much slower

by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2021 3:54 PM

No city has "bounced back."

The entire country is in a recession.

by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2021 3:55 PM

The “crime & homelessness is sky high” crap is propaganda coming from Rupert Murdoch flunkies & racist NYPD who hates that a democrat married to a black woman is the mayor. After Koch they had one black mayor — Dinkins — who only got elected because everyone was sick & tired of antics after 12 years of Koch & wanted something different. Dinkins wasn’t a good mayor. So Giuliani’s ran, won 2 terms, then Bloomberg won 3 terms after he bribed the city council. Ed Koch was a Republican in democrat clothing. Do except for one term of Dinkins, NYC mayors were GOP for 30 years. NYPD doesn’t like that, nor does Rupert Murdoch. The added fact that the democratic mayor has a black wife is horrifying to loud mouthed NYPD union chiefs.

I render being at my husband’s cousin’s house. My always-overly-optimistic husband never mentioned their political leaning so I assumed it was the same as my husband, his parents & sister. His cousin’s husband, a surgeon & navy veteran made a remark about how DeBlasio dragged his black kids & put them in front of the cameras in his ads so that black people would go to the polls& vote for him. I had no idea who DeBlasio’s wife was or that he had biracial kids. My belief was that DeBlasio won the nomination because of everyone giving the poll booth equivalent of the finger to Christine Quinn, who agreed to overturn the term limits we NY voters had passed twice at the polls & who got her biggest campaign $ from the developer who oversaw the destruction of St Vincent’s hospital. Christine Quinn is going to hell & she’s not ever going to get the satisfaction of being mayor, which she sold her soul for.

Anyway, that’s when I realized my husband’s cousin’s husband was a racist libertarian who watched RT - russia today. (Cracked me up as his grandparents had fled pogroms in Russia, now he was spouting Russian propaganda about the NYC mayoral race. It ate at this guy that DeBlasio married a black woman. He even accused DeBlasio of marrying a black women & having biracial kids to further his political career. This kind of racist talk was all over Fox, the NY Post, Breitbart, RT opinion and message boards. Newspapers had messageboards in those days and they went from people civilly discussing articles of the day to enraged rightwing men screaming about “urban youth,” thugs, welfare queens, i dint do nuffin and other racist tropes. Rather than moderate these messageboards, most smaller, local newspapers just got rid of them.

NYPD has been refusing to do their jobs because they hate DeBlasio because he’s a white democrat (they hate democrats thanks to Rush & Fox) and married to a black woman. They are deliberately trying to drive up the crime rate & are even committing crimes themselves (fireworks, driving around in patrol cars screaming support for Trump in addition to infiltrating demonstrations in plain clothes, starting fires & breaking windows) so they can say the crime rate went up under democrats.

Well, NYC doesn’t care what NYPD does. NYC knows exactly who & what make up NYPD & they know about NYPD’s antics.

by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2021 4:42 PM

A nonsensical question OP. Why would NYC come back when we are still in the middle of the pandemic? The question can’t be asked until the Fall at best. Right now, all restaurants, bars, nightlife, theater and social spaces are effectively closed - which are the whole point of NYC. I knew the winter would be tough - and it is. Without the ability to eat and socialize outside, the city is in lockdown still.

I’m hopeful for the Summer - I think the ability to be outside, the slow relaxation of restrictions and increasing vaccination and decreasing spread will allow us to breathe again. I have no doubt about the return of NYC - IF the virus can be throughly defeated. The pent up need to socialize will make NYC very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2021 5:04 PM

I have to laugh at people who think DeBlasio is some wild liberal. He’s just another another hack who works for the powerful real estate interests in the city.

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2021 5:54 PM

DeBlasio's main political instinct is incompetence.

If there's a wrong decision to be made, he'll make it.

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2021 6:01 PM

I love how all these people who don't even live in NYC have such strong opinions on DiBlaisio.

by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2021 6:22 PM

R32 you’ve pretty much summed up most responses on DL. People have strong opinions on things they know very little about.

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2021 6:50 PM

DeBlasio is a turd and his wife is a grifter lesbian. Together they have done a lot of damage to NYC. People who pay the taxes are leaving in droves and the ones who live off the taxes are staying put and more are on the way here. It really has become the welfare state of DeBlasio's wet dreams.

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2021 8:13 PM

You give BdB too much credit. He is way too lazy to actually accomplish anything. If he was actually an effective leader, there might be some progressive policies. But he is just inept.

by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2021 8:37 PM

I don’t think it will bounce back until the restaurants are fully open and the threatre re-open. I hope that is by the Fall.

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2021 8:40 PM

[quote] People have strong opinions on things they know nothing about.

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2021 2:49 AM

Spring of 2022 will be the rebounding of NYC. A lot of experts are expecting a hedonistic 1920s like world after the pandemic is over. Tourism will increase, people will be dying to go to Broadway shows and concerts and good fine dining again. We will have a new mayor and as long as it’s not a BdB cronie they will surely be better than him.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2021 3:02 AM

[quote] nyc would become a mecca for work-from-home because why work from home in scarsdale?

OP, you got that backwards. Most people say if you can work from home, why live in a crowded big city.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2021 3:10 AM

Nope. People are still moving out, I still see moving trucks on a daily basis.

Workers are not back in midtown yet. It's dead after 8 or 9pm.Only bums, delivery people or folks walking their dogs.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2021 3:15 AM

These are tough times for cities and have been so even pre=pandemic. R9's post was so on-point. There are so many similarities with San Francisco. And can I just say it's shitty and provincial for any gay male to *gloat* about urban problems.

Does that stem from jealousy or insecurity?

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2021 3:17 AM

You realize that a ton of young people want to live in a exciting city with a ton to do r39?

Sure as people get older they often want a slower suburban life, but what drew people to New York was the appeal of living in one of the most dynamic places in the world.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2021 3:24 AM

Slowly giving up hope for 2021 - very similar to what happened in 2020. In April 2020, I was absolutely sure it would be back to normal by Fall. With the vaccine news, I was certain it would be by Summer 2021. Now the news seems to be gathering storm clouds for issues over the next few months. Then winter hits again - and this winter taught me that NYC in the winter and the virus can’t coexist.

Now I’m honestly wondering if I’m going to hold out hope for this city for another year. The places that are barely hanging on will be gone if they can’t reopen this summer. And that’s looking less and less likely. There are only so many outdoor seats - they cant keep a place alive for 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2021 3:25 AM

R28

Everyone who wasted their time reading that ignorant screed is now dumber than they were beforehand.

Trying to pretend that the policies enacted by Governor Cuomo and mayor Deblasio haven’t radically increased boat property crimes and violent crimes in the city. Only a fucking moron who still believes that Democrats will actually fix anything believes NYC will recover before 2030.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2021 4:08 AM

R34

Even more ominously, the people escaping are the highest earners.

How can you tax the rich if they all migrate to Florida, Texas, or Tennessee?

The top 1% of earners pay nearly half of all New York City income taxes. If you drive them out, the tax base will shrink and New York will become even more of a Third World shit hole.

I lived in New York for five years in Midtown, but at this point you couldn’t pay me to step foot in that wretched city.

by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2021 4:12 AM

Well, I've never been able to afford to live below 125th street so I am looking forward to moving downtown in May. 20 years in the city and I can finally live in a gay neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2021 4:48 AM

R1 - you hit on an important point. Actually, this is what I do for a living - analyze the real estate market in NYC (a few other cities too, but NYC is our core). In any case, in Q2 and Q3 of last year, there were more expensive properties sold in Brooklyn for the first time ever compared to Manhattan. Also, what everyone else is saying about flight from densely populate and now culturally "dead" NYC to more affordable places. Another important factor is WFH of course. This along with the astronomical prices for such small space, the lack of the cultural life (live-work-play) which drew so many people and the fact that Gen X is hitting 50 and Millennials are turning 40, is making the suburbs more attractive. This last year, the one and only city where, for example, office rentals and office-using jobs grew as well as where sales stayed relatively stable in many areas popular with professionals was Austin. Obviously, the move of employers like Oracle and Tesla to Texas helps. More and more companies, including ones owned by real estate developers and investors are shifting attention away from NYC to Texas and Florida for more favorable taxes, cheaper office rentals (for part time office work) and where construction continues in earnest due to sprawl and lower costs.

by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2021 7:19 AM

By the summer everyone who wants to get vaccinated will have been able to get vaccinated r43. Things are going to get a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 48February 9, 2021 2:37 PM

I drove in 2x this fall, October and mid-November for a museum visit/ holiday shopping. On a Saturday the area near Rockefeller was bustling with mainly foreign tourists but definitely 50% down in volume of people on the street. LES/East Village/Soho were b u s t l i n g as usual on a mild Saturday afternoon. Stores were open, restaurants were serving, locals/tourists were milling about. It was the most normal area I encountered.

It won't be back to somewhat "normal" until offices are back, most folks I have talked to are not being told to head back to offices before Fall 2021. Ask again then.

by Anonymousreply 49February 9, 2021 2:55 PM

I hope I don’t have to go back to the office more than once a month.

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote]Well, I've never been able to afford to live below 125th street so I am looking forward to moving downtown in May. 20 years in the city and I can finally live in a gay neighborhood.

What's gay about downtown these days?

Andrew Yang is leading in the mayoral polls. God help us.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2021 9:45 PM

I was wondering the same thing r51. Greenwich Village was historically a gayborhood but it has been a long time since that was the case.

I feel the only places you could still call a gayborhood is Hells Kitchen and arguably Chelsea.

Where you moving r46?

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2021 10:38 PM

NYC without Broadway is impossible.

by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2021 10:52 PM

subway crimes are still happening...people getting shoved onto the tracks, slashings etc.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2021 11:05 PM

As people have said, I think it really depends where you are in NYC. My neighborhood (Yorkville) is fine. People always walking around, lots of outdoor dining, stores open, feels safe. I was able to get a really good deal on a rental that I never could have afforded pre-Covid - they dropped the rent by $700 a month. Much bigger apartment in a nicer building. No fees.

Central Park is still great. I go daily. It was beautiful in the snow - people building snowmen and kids sledding. Felt magical.

Midtown feels deserted. Soho feels pretty empty. Union square is less crowded but feels okay?

I take the subway a couple times a week and it feels somewhat empty (obviously) and a lot cleaner and knock on wood I haven’t felt unsafe. But the pushing and slashings really scare me. I’ve also taken the bus, which feels fine.

All that being said, I haven’t ventured that far out of my comfort zone in terms of neighborhoods and I still don’t go out after dark - because there is nothing to do but also because I feel nervous?

I don’t do outdoor dining but I like seeing people at restaurants. Feels normal.

I have noticed tons of empty storefronts no matter what neighborhood I’ve been in. Midtown probably the most jarring....

I don’t know. Hate on it all you want but I really love New York - I’ve been here for 18 years - I’m not leaving. I think covid has fucked up most places? It will take awhile for everyone to bounce back? It’s all relative.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2021 11:07 PM

I can only speak for my corner of the outer boroughs, but I don't think I've noticed anything too untoward around here. Stores are open (my gym is still closed, and likely to remain so) people going about their business as normal. I've only had opportunity to go into Manhattan a few times since COVID started (nothing to do, so what's the point) beyond seeing a gentleman friend a few times, in Hell's Kitchen and in Midtown. HK seemed pretty normal, Midtown did now.

I did go in after the election was called to take an opportunity to flip off Trump Tower, and went to Times Square just to see what I saw. It was a little spooky, if I'm being honest.

I wish I could have justified moving. I signed for another two years, and the landlord did the regular rent hike.

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2021 11:13 PM

Midtown is definitely the biggest change. Going from bursting at the seams with commuters coming into work and tourists visiting to be a dead zone.

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2021 11:34 PM

R52 & R51

West Village was somewhat a "historically gay" area. Suppose you can add parts of Greenwich Village from Seventh Avenue South east towards Sixth avenue, but east of that towards Fifth and onward was never same solid gay area like around Christopher street going west from SAS to the river.

That being said both GV and WV really ceased being any sort of major gay mecca in aftermath of HIV/AIDs. People were still down there but much activity moved onto Chelsea. That didn't last either and while all three areas still have a substantial gay presence it's not same as before. You can't really say Hell's Kitchen (the new Chelsea) is a solidly gay area either.

So much has changed in decades since 1980's and 1990's that idea of a gay ghetto if you will just doesn't appeal to many younger gays. Technology (personal computers, phones, apps, etc... ) have decimated bars and clubs as people just "hook-up" or whatever online. It's all you can or could do to get people out of their homes to go for a drink, hangout and or maybe a bite to eat in the "hood". People just stay home glued to their phones or other devices.

Big thing of course is cost of housing. Greenwich Village, West Village, Chelsea, and even Hell's Kitchen have become far too expensive for anyone not earning bank. Areas still with a thriving gay scene are now out in Queens (Jackson Heights) where rents are lower....

Gays and lesbians nowadays down in West or Greenwich Village are often just as boogie as their straight neighbors IMHO> They're all well off to very on average, white, and are as uptight about "protecting" their real estate values. They don't want bars, clubs, or anything else that brings a certain element to their streets. Couldn't be bothered about Saint Vincent's closing because it was a hospital for "poor people" that they wouldn't set foot in unless it was a severe emergency (and maybe not even then).

When Christoper Street and surrounding area started to get "too dark" with LGBT young people of color they moaned, bitched and finally began to pull rank to see that action was taken to clean things up. I mean "what about the children?" they said. When Boots and Saddle was looking for a new home they shot that down quickly. There was supposed to be a LGBT youth center as part of development of Saint Luke's owned property, community had a fit because they knew just who would be clientele for such place, and that was that.

Probably only time West Village remotely resembles days of old is on Pride Day, but after that event is over things go right back to boring and bland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 11, 2021 4:49 AM

More evidence things are moving in right direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 11, 2021 5:13 AM

Valentino? Lol. Who the fuck in America wears Valentino? No one, that’s who. And a Soho store won’t be saved by foreign tourists since there will be no foreign tourists in NY for years.

It will be closed in six months.

by Anonymousreply 60February 11, 2021 1:06 PM

Yet more good news!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 12, 2021 12:39 AM

I am signing a lease today and have been stalking streeteasy for about two months and I’ve definitely noticed that rents are going up a bit. Nothing like pre covid but more apartments listed without net effective deals and things being rented faster.

Now if we could take care of the subway slashings and pushings....

by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2021 2:03 PM

No according to those I know who still leave there.

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2021 2:28 PM

[quote]Now if we could take care of the subway slashings and pushings....

That won’t happen until we get a mayor who is not a social justice warrior.

The current catch and release form of justice doesn’t work. I’m sorry that there are more black people in jail, but maybe someone should study why that is rather than just not holding them to acceptable standards of behavior.

by Anonymousreply 64February 12, 2021 2:56 PM

Agreed R64.

by Anonymousreply 65February 13, 2021 1:34 AM

The 2nd/3rd wave will be a lot worse than the 1st due to the variants. The US is the only country other than China to under report cases and your vaccination program is still not logical?

Trump left behind a horrible mess that will take months to make sense of.

by Anonymousreply 66February 13, 2021 1:45 AM

Thanks, Cuomo.

by Anonymousreply 67February 13, 2021 1:46 AM

DL Fave Fran Lebowitz was on the View last week, and she said that now is the time to move to New York. The prices have never been better!

by Anonymousreply 68February 13, 2021 1:48 AM

I have to question the spending choices of people who claim to be pulling in six-figure incomes (two of them between them, in fact) and act like they are poor. New York City isn't even in the top 10 of most expensive places to live in the world. I live in what last time I checked was the second most expensive city in the world on five figures, and am living perfectly comfortably.

[quote]A lot of experts are expecting a hedonistic 1920s like world after the pandemic is over.

Well, we should be careful, because that didn't end so well...

by Anonymousreply 69February 13, 2021 2:04 AM

[quote] His cousin’s husband, a surgeon & navy veteran made a remark about how DeBlasio dragged his black kids & put them in front of the cameras in his ads so that black people would go to the polls& vote for him.

He's right. An aide even admitted it in a recent interview.

by Anonymousreply 70February 13, 2021 2:07 AM

[quote]My friend in HK hates it and a friend of his was mugged in broad daylight, forced to an ATM for cash.

OMG are you kidding??? That is fucking scary as hell!

by Anonymousreply 71February 13, 2021 2:10 AM

[quote]The US is the only country other than China to under report cases Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 72February 13, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote]The US is the only country other than China to under report cases

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 73February 13, 2021 2:29 AM

Yorkville poster here. I cross the park and walk to the upper west side most days and it’s eerily deserted in the 60s. You’ll walk down 64th between CPW and Broadway at 12pm and there is no one in sight. It’s surreal. That also goes for the 70s between Columbus and CPW. I can see how someone could get mugged to be honest.

That’s awful about HK and the ATM.

On Broadway and 62nd (or 63rd - next to the old Lincoln plaza cinemas) they are doing these storefront concerts most days - with live classical music from inside an empty storefront. It’s really beautiful. Even in 28 degree weather - people will stop and listen. Not to be a raging MARY but the first time I saw it, I got teary.

by Anonymousreply 74February 13, 2021 2:45 AM

Not to speculate since I'm not a doctor, but I saw an interview with Fauci and he seems optimistic about the variants. He said that even if the current vaccines don't stop them from spreading, they do stop severe infections and hospitalizations at nearly 100% efficacy for all known variants so the harm basically goes away. Plus, pharma companies are working on booster shots to target them directly. I was more worried before this interview.

by Anonymousreply 75February 13, 2021 4:22 AM

Then why did South Africa suspend vaccinations with the millions of doses of astrazeneca it bought. Fauci is a very well known practitioner of spin. He spins to suit the public perception and the science of the moment.

by Anonymousreply 76February 13, 2021 4:31 AM

Which city is this R69?

by Anonymousreply 77February 13, 2021 4:46 AM

R76, crawl back into your anti-vaxx bunker, and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 78February 13, 2021 4:56 AM

I'm not anti-vaxx you twat, I'm reporting the dramatic news of the week. I'm taking it as soon as they will offer it to me but I'm not a senior citizen so who knows how long that will be.

by Anonymousreply 79February 13, 2021 5:53 AM

R74

With Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall and other performing arts venues still shut yes, west 60's and 70's from about Broadway to CPW are "dead".

From Columbus Circle area (starting at about West 57th and 8th avenue) going north past Time Warner building towards Lincoln Center is a very large tourist area. With everything shut down and tourists largely staying away only people in area are locals for most part.

Oh and remember offices are largely shut, restaurants and bars were closed to indoor dining, etc... All reasons that people would be out and about over there are gone.

In contrast during day UES from Madison to Second avenues is packed during day. Walked down to Target at 70th and Third other day, avenue was packed with all sorts of activity from construction to shoppers out and about. Target was crowded as well.....

by Anonymousreply 80February 13, 2021 6:14 AM

R79 your post at R76 sounds just like anti-vaxx conspiracy bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 81February 13, 2021 6:33 AM

One thing we've learned: New Yorkers "lower" themselves and shop at Target.

by Anonymousreply 82February 13, 2021 10:32 AM

How is London faring, London DLers? Is it a ghost town too?

by Anonymousreply 83February 13, 2021 10:38 AM

R83 like this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 13, 2021 2:48 PM

R82

Target recently opened a store on UES (Lexington Ave and 70th) that is very busy.

Maybe Target of old might have been seen as low brow tastes, but these modern stores with groceries, clothing, housewares, electronics, etc... are another matter.

Will give you in some ways these Target stores are over glorified K-mart, or Duane Reade type shops, but it does serve a purpose and seem to be doing well. Concept must be working since Target is seeking to open more stores in Manhattan and other areas of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 85February 13, 2021 6:21 PM

A friend whi takes the A train daily just told me there were two homeless people found stabbed to death, one on either end, this morning.

These crimes are so bizarre - it’s not about needing money for food...what can you steal from a homeless person?!

by Anonymousreply 86February 13, 2021 6:41 PM

^ sorry, found on the A train, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 87February 13, 2021 6:42 PM

Here’s the A train story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 13, 2021 6:49 PM

Were the stabbings in places where DLers live?

by Anonymousreply 89February 13, 2021 6:58 PM

Someone is killing homeless crazy people.

by Anonymousreply 90February 13, 2021 7:25 PM

All South Africa is doing is trying to switch to other vaccines rather than the Astrazeneca one r76. There is a reason the Astrazeneca vaccine isn't approved in America yet.

[Quote]Instead, it will offer health workers vaccines developed by Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer/BioNTech in the coming weeks. "What does that mean for our vaccination programme which we said will start in February? The answer is it will proceed," Mkhize told an online news briefing. "From next week for the next four weeks we expect that there will be J&J vaccines, there will be Pfizer vaccines."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 13, 2021 7:33 PM

R89 I think they were in Far Rockaway - which is way out in Queens by the ocean and Inwood - which is the very top of Manhattan way past Harlem. I would guess not a ton of DLers live in those places but what do I know?

I did take the subway today around 1pm in Manhattan and it felt scary empty - maybe 3-4 other people in my car. One mentally ill homeless guy without a mask got on at 34th street and was talking to himself, spitting and pacing up and down the car so I got off at union square to go to the next car and there was yet another mentally ill homeless guy without a mask - sitting and talking to himself. No cops in sight at any of the stations.

A few hours later, I was going back uptown though and the N train was packed with people - I couldn’t even get a seat.

I don’t know what the fuck is going on with the subways but it’s not good.

by Anonymousreply 92February 14, 2021 2:58 AM

They caught the A train killer.

It’s like there’s a switch in all the mentally ill people in NYC and someone switched it on to “murder.” I know rationally it’s just because less people are around, but it feels like more than that.

by Anonymousreply 93February 14, 2021 3:31 AM

72 people died in NYC from (mainly) republican intentional apathy towards the pandemic. That’s what’s going on. A worldwide pandemic. New York (as with all major international cities) can’t “bounce back” until the pandemic is declared over. And it’s not yet over. How is this thread even being entertained?

by Anonymousreply 94February 14, 2021 4:58 AM

^^ 72 ppl died yesterday

by Anonymousreply 95February 14, 2021 4:58 AM

R93

This is what happens when people are off their meds. Can't put them away in an institution anymore, so they're out in community where hopefully their illness is kept under control.

Eighth Avenue and Broadway subway lines are like Bellevue's waiting room. Homeless and mentally ill up and down the entire line. Sadly both lines run through Upper West Side and Harlem so people in those areas have to suffer.

There is also a shit ton of group homes, supportive housing, homeless shelters, half-way houses from Chelsea going north to UWS and into Harlem and beyond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 14, 2021 5:32 AM

r96 that is a horror show

by Anonymousreply 97February 14, 2021 5:40 AM

Something needs to be done, it's terrible. We can't go back to the horror houses that used to exist for people suffering from mental issues, but they shouldn't be left to the streets either. If we were a kinder society we could figure something out, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 98February 14, 2021 5:57 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 14, 2021 6:18 AM

A diagnosed schizophrenic shouldn't be living in a shelter, permanently. He should be in a properly staffed "group home". Nobody monitored him taking his meds, or delivered the meds and voila. He was unmedicated and insane everyday, getting into mischief.

by Anonymousreply 100February 14, 2021 6:34 AM

Based on the recent subway stabber, I'd say not.

by Anonymousreply 101February 14, 2021 6:44 AM

Agree with the above about the need to figure out a way to force the mentally ill into taking medication or institutions. Perhaps it’s the strain of the pandemic, but the number of mentally ill seems much higher in the past year. For a while I thought it was just that they were more obvious because of less people in the city - but now I think it’s truly a larger number of them on the streets. They are the only thing that scares me about NYC now - truly unpredictable violence.

by Anonymousreply 102February 14, 2021 7:54 AM

Probably the social workers and nurses have lost contact for one reason or another. that's what the dead guy's mother says. Nobody was delivering and monitoring his meds. and he wasn't homeless he was living long-term in an SRO for the "homeless" which is different. he wasn't living on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 103February 14, 2021 8:34 AM

There is a percentage of people who choose to live wild - not in shelters. Who refuse shelters. But there are a lot of people who would prefer to have a room and bathroom. They are people often unable to function and make a living. I am an expat in Europe. In many European countries the people who do want dignity and not to live on the street can get a "minimum" monthly income and a subsidized room. Needless to say there is also universal health care. I lived in NYC in the 80s when there was a huge messy homeless problem. Besides AIDS, it was a constant dismal fact - everyday. Homeless everywhere. One of them broke my nose. He was just flailing and smacked me in the face and kept walking. Parks had shanty town. People lived in the sewers and tunnels. Hundreds were camped in Penn Station. In the summer they sleeping all the way down 42nd street from Times Square to Fifth Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 104February 14, 2021 8:42 AM

The mother seems all about placing blame elsewhere in defense of her saint of a son. She says he wasn't getting meds "for a long time", then "two weeks", so which is it?

This unfortunate event occurred in January, by then worse of covid panic was over in city. So how did this man manage to get his meds and treatments in March through say November of 2021 or even March through September when things were really bad, then city run or whatever health/social services agency suddenly stopped in December?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105February 14, 2021 8:51 AM

was recently downtown on broadway...so many vacant shops. and majority of them tagged with graffiti.

by Anonymousreply 106February 14, 2021 8:53 AM

It’s sad that we don’t have a right to be protected from the mentally ill and violent addicts.

by Anonymousreply 107February 15, 2021 3:33 AM

R107, it’s sad Ronald Reagan radically changed policies about housing the violent and the mentally ill. You’ll have to tell him about that one day.

by Anonymousreply 108February 15, 2021 5:49 AM

Ronald Reagan was an idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 15, 2021 10:03 AM

I thought deinstitutionalization started in the 1970s? All those civil rights group started demanding that schizophrenics be able to give where they wanted because human rights and now 50 years later - here we are. They are living in the streets and attacking people.

And of course that mother isn’t taking any responsibility. It’s always someone else’s fault. Usually the government.

by Anonymousreply 110February 15, 2021 10:04 AM

Oh thanks for link r109. I guess it was 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 111February 15, 2021 10:05 AM

R50 yes liberals wanted deinstitutionalization of the less severe cases ON THE CONDITION that it was accompanied by halfway houses and visits by social welfare workers help them integrate fully into mainstream society.

Evil Reagan did the first and then did a Lucy football yank on Charlie for the second.

by Anonymousreply 112February 15, 2021 11:24 AM

We need to bring back institutions. Existence on the street isn’t good for them or us.

by Anonymousreply 113February 16, 2021 7:15 PM

there is not enough space in those tiny apartments for people to live and work from home. Bloomberg and Giuliani did this. Most people just live in NY for work. If you can work from home, anywhere, they leave.

So no.

by Anonymousreply 114February 16, 2021 7:20 PM

From Will & Grace:

Karen: I was walking down the street and someone came up from a hole in the ground!

Grace: That's called the subway, Karen.

by Anonymousreply 115February 16, 2021 7:47 PM

Oh that Karen. She grew up in some tenement in the Lower East Side, married some rich fatso from Long Island or something. And now she pretends she doesn't know the subway? She probably hawked her coochi in them for subway fare.

by Anonymousreply 116February 16, 2021 7:52 PM

R114, I disagree - most people don't live in NYC for work. You can always be a part of the commuter class if you need a house and a lawn to tend. People live in NYC for the social experience: they want to go to school, or be in the arts scene or the club scene, or dial into whatever the decadent uber-rich are doing.

by Anonymousreply 117February 16, 2021 7:55 PM

is there a progressive, working class migration occurring now? Are progressives moving from New York to other states? This is interesting regarding congress and better public policy.

by Anonymousreply 118February 16, 2021 7:59 PM

i disagree too r114. wtf do i need a house in the suburbs for? and a car? i can work from home just fine from my apartment in the city and go outside and take long walks. some of us don't need that much space. hence why we moved to the tiny apartments in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 119February 16, 2021 8:00 PM

New York lost it's Joie de vivre a long time ago. People just live there because their work is there. The art/literary scene is too commercial and stale. All the good artists left, or just keep a tiny apartment there, just in cause.

by Anonymousreply 120February 16, 2021 8:07 PM

R114 I think people want to live in the city for the social life.

by Anonymousreply 121February 16, 2021 9:49 PM

From the NY Post, so consider the source, but it’s interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 16, 2021 10:00 PM

[quote]From the NY Post, so consider the source...

What does that even mean? The facts are facts. The statistics are what they are. From those the author has drawn his conclusions. Either you agree with him or you don't.

I think he's right.

by Anonymousreply 123February 16, 2021 10:50 PM

R123 I do agree with him. I have found myself agreeing with the NYP editorials more and more.

There was a time I loathed the Post. I don’t know if I’m getting older or things are getting worse...or I’m just tired of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 124February 16, 2021 10:59 PM

R114 and R117 the pair of you don't know what you're talking about.

Plenty of New Yorkers from those in studio apartments to larger are making it a go of working from home. Others have found ways to make it work, but never the less that is a fact. Do you think everyone lives in a two bedroom with a maid's room they can convert into home office?

As for rest of it neither of you have a clue about commuting, suburban NYC living and rest.

For past several decades since Rudy Giuliani began cleaning up city making it fit for living there has been a flood of suburban persons moving in. That or those who once would have left city for suburbs once they married and or had children remained in NYC. This in particular much of Manhattan below Harlem, and Brooklyn (downtown/waterfront and now extending south past Red Hook and deep into Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy, etc...).

Have never seen so many children, babies, strollers, child minders in city. Streets on UES/UWS/Tribeca/West and Greenwich Village are full of them, and their parents.

These people either moved into city or never left are children, or grandchildren of those who did flee to suburbia from NYC decades ago. They recall their fathers leaving in the morning and not returning until late evening (sometimes not even then) and didn't want to raise their children that way. Wives in particular didn't want to be stuck out in suburbs while their husbands left on the 8:25 each morning and caught the 5:25 or 7:45 back home (again if even then).

You see this reflected in real estate market. Much if not majority of new construction during boom of past twenty years or so is large "family" sized apartments. Two to three bedroom units were what developers provided instead of the previous buildings mostly made up of studios and one bedrooms. Older buildings converted as many smaller units possible into larger family sized units.

You only have to walk around UES or UES and see tons of parents with their children and dogs to notice large part of things are totally driven by suburban style living in city.

The other thing is automobiles. People move here from suburbs and don't want to give up their cars, this as city has consistently removed parking spaces making what's left a hot commodity

by Anonymousreply 125February 17, 2021 4:08 AM

If there is a perception of crime, tourists won't return soon. No tourists = no money and higher taxes or reduced services. Time for a get tough mayor.

by Anonymousreply 126February 17, 2021 6:14 AM

They are already reducing services. They now clean from 2 to 4 am (starting Feb 22), instead of 1 to 5am. Dirty subways will be back soon!

by Anonymousreply 127February 17, 2021 6:36 AM

Until Broadway, performing arts and other entertainment venues open tourists aren't coming back to NYC in any huge numbers. There just isn't anything else that draws same large numbers.

Right now those who are coming walk around city, do some shopping and maybe hit a few cultural places, but that isn't same as seeing a concert or attending a live performance.

by Anonymousreply 128February 17, 2021 6:38 AM

R127

Subways were only closed between 1 a.m and 5 a.m to allow for "deep cleaning" of stations and sanitizing trains. It was never about general cleaning of system that went on previously as had for years.

In fact from March through rather recently subways were remarkably clean. Huge decrease in ridership took away the trash generated by pigs too nasty to clean up after themselves and left garbage on trains and platforms.

by Anonymousreply 129February 17, 2021 6:42 AM

I guess NYers are starting to feel the reality of what “defund the cops” really means. No police presence on the subway after 5pm? That’s pitiful.

But you let all your friends know how enlightened you are by putting that black box on your Instagram that day, so it’s worth being terrified to leave your apartment.

by Anonymousreply 130February 17, 2021 7:48 AM

F&F the desperate Trumpie at R130. He lost and he’s never coming back. Lolol.

by Anonymousreply 131February 17, 2021 1:06 PM

Way to run away from the truth, R131. Call anyone who says something you don't want to hear a " desperate Trumpie." That will help the situation immensely.

by Anonymousreply 132February 17, 2021 1:14 PM

Everything in my neighborhood (Upper West Side) feels pandemic normal, but that's a low bar. I never feel unsafe, and my walks in Central Park are lovely and needed. But I think me and most of my fellow Upper West Siders mostly work from home and stay at home unless we're exercising or need something from a store or restaurant. (I haven't taken the subway or bus in a year.) It's not great fun, but it's doable. My lease came up the end of last month and I negotiated a $400/month reduction. That was a first, and if my landlord hadn't come down, I'd have moved.

The truth is many shops and restaurants were struggling BEFORE the pandemic. A lot of these closures had already happened, and of course nothing will replace those storefronts now for a long while.

NYC won't bounce back until after this pandemic, and even then it's going to be a bit of a slog. The aspects of life here that make it special -- the theatre, the cinemas, the museums, the concert halls, the clubs, the crowded restaurants, the arenas -- aren't available or are a shadow of themselves. But they shouldn't be, and the cities that aren't following health guidelines are an embarrassment to the nation.

by Anonymousreply 133February 17, 2021 1:38 PM

Having been here 17 years, I think I got quite spoiled with how safe the city was pre-COVID. I was taking the subway at midnight, walking home, felt totally fine. Now NY feels like any other big city in terms of safety. I remember living in Philadelphia before NY and being much more careful. My brother in Baltimore was always more careful than I was in NY.

For NYers - do you agree? Granted there is no reason to be out late at this point but I wouldn’t feel safe walking home in Manhattan at 10pm these days. And that’s a huge shift.

But I’m not leaving. Just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 134February 17, 2021 1:53 PM

I feel like NYC without bars is not fun. And bars are likely the last thing that will come back - and I debate if they ever will. The socializing that occurs in a bar is an essential part of young adult life in NYC. Restaurants will come back - but bars are much more critical to the social life of the city. I feel like I may have witnessed the tail end of gay social life in NYC centered around bars. It was slowly fading before Covid - this may be the death knell.

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2021 1:57 PM

Why would bars be the last thing to come back? As soon as vaccinations are widespread they’ll be among the first.

by Anonymousreply 136February 17, 2021 2:01 PM

Sorry R131, you may not like it, but he’s right.

Forget Trump. He’s gone and these issues remain.

by Anonymousreply 137February 17, 2021 2:19 PM

Huh? Bars will be first to come back. Young people are still hooking up and hanging out - they will return to the bars in no time? Only us eldergays would worry about the bars.

Broadway will be last. I worry about theater/dance/etc.

by Anonymousreply 138February 17, 2021 2:22 PM

NYC will bounce back when its magnet schools are 100% Black and Latino.

BIK.

by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2021 2:23 PM

We didn’t actually defund the cops though. We mainly switched services from PD to other agencies.

Nothing BdB does matters much anymore. The fate of this city rests in the hands of whoever the next mayor is.

by Anonymousreply 140February 17, 2021 2:34 PM

[Quote] The truth is many shops and restaurants were struggling BEFORE the pandemic.

True r133

by Anonymousreply 141February 17, 2021 3:07 PM

Lol no he’s not R137.

by Anonymousreply 142February 17, 2021 4:21 PM

R134, plenty of people work second and third shift. They unfortunately have to use the subway and walk the streets after dark.

by Anonymousreply 143February 17, 2021 6:07 PM

Rents are coming down for some, but many still cannot afford rents in Manhattan or other prime areas at least.

Anyone who believes they will are dreaming, it just won't happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 18, 2021 5:55 AM

R110

Seeds of deinstitutionalization began in 1955, gained steam in 1960's and went full throttle by 1970's. However the effort was sidetracked and derailed largely by costs as both federal government and states realized just how much providing all that community mental healthcare would cost.

Reagan and GOP did what they do best; turned what had been a federally funded program into block grants to states. The latter did what they do best, doled money out as they saw fit but often tied to politics.

Results are what you started to see in 1960's and continues now; scores if not hundreds of often severely mentally ill persons largely left on their own in community settings. There isn't enough money nor will to build supportive housing with onsite services, so these people are either homeless or placed in SRO or other hotel/apartment housing with minimal oversight.

Key thing is that mentally ill persons aren't totally indigent. They quantify for Medicaid and often host of other benefits, something not lost upon everyone from SRO/residence hotel owners, various (supposedly) non-profits and others looking to get their hands on that money.

Long story short deinstitutionalization was doomed from the start for lack of money. To further make sure there was no going back states closed and often sold off former state hospitals for insane. That or they've been repurposed or dramatically scaled down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 18, 2021 6:18 AM

People were leaving in record numbers starting 2016/17. Crime, crowds, noise, ugly towering skyscrapers, vehicular and pedestrian traffic and bike riders not using the designated bike lanes were omnipresent as were people blabbing on or staring at their phones. With Grindr and social media nightlife dissipated, Broadway was jukebox musicals, film-stage works: Tootsie, Beetlejuice, Pretty Woman, Mean Girls all geared to tourists and corporate takeover; CVS, Walgreens, Whole Foods, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Five Guys were on every block. Boring!

by Anonymousreply 146February 18, 2021 6:19 AM

r146 get the fuck out of here. where the fuck did you move to that doesn't have CVS and walgreens and bike lanes?

it's one thing hearing from people that left because of covid but when "former new yorkers" come out of the woodwork yapping about 2016 and JUKEBOX musicals... gurl please. you never intended to stay in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 147February 18, 2021 4:23 PM

R147

I live across the river in Weehawken, NJ ten minutes from midtown. Traffic, garbage, noise, Citi Bikes, crime, mile long trucks for all the corporate chains are not common here and the homeless have not taken up residence. It's cleaner, safer, quieter. greener and saner. It's also more economical. Many people like me who worked in NY moved here where by bus, shuttle, car or ferry it's a quick commute.

Lived in NYC from 1988-2006 and the uniqueness that was NY is gone which was my point. Of course there are Walgreens here!

by Anonymousreply 148February 18, 2021 5:02 PM

R129 The subways may be cleaner but subway crime: assaults, stabbings, people pushed onto tracks or into oncoming trains has become an almost daily occurrence such much so that city activists in response are planning "safe walks" for commuters. Sounds like the Guardian Angels from the 70s and early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 149February 19, 2021 7:06 AM

^ 70s and early 80s

by Anonymousreply 150February 19, 2021 2:23 PM

R22 But what is Lurch doing about the rise in crime no matter what the reason?

by Anonymousreply 151February 19, 2021 9:11 PM

R148 moved to Weehawken in 2006 and is so busy enjoying his life there that he has time to spam every NYC thread on this board with the same complaints about garbage and CVS and crime that doesn't affect him, lol.

by Anonymousreply 152February 19, 2021 10:57 PM

Police are the ones committing the crimes

by Anonymousreply 153February 19, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote] One mentally ill homeless guy without a mask got on at 34th street and was talking to himself, spitting and pacing up and down the car so I got off at union square to go to the next car and there was yet another mentally ill homeless guy without a mask - sitting and talking to himself. No cops in sight at any of the stations.

They were the cops, lol.

Undercover, like they did with Occupy Wall Street. They use their old OWS clothes and go around frightening the people they can’t beat, imprison or kill.

by Anonymousreply 154February 20, 2021 12:00 AM

Good post r148

by Anonymousreply 155February 20, 2021 3:35 AM

R152 As someone who has easy access to NYC of course I'm interested in what happens. I've probably seen more Broadway shows in the 2019/2020 season than most New Yorkers. I'm 10 minutes from Hell's Kitchen my old neighborhood and 2 of my friends who still live there don't feel safe anymore. My chiropractor whose office was on W46th is now on Long Island and my massage therapist left for Brazil in March. Broadway will come back at the earliest in the spring of 2022 and the company I previously worked for AIG is not planning to return and even in 2016 several departments had move to North Carolina. I feel badly that the NY I loved with The Tunnel, The Limelight, Splash has been gone for a while and with the pandemic NYC is circling the drain and will not bounce back for years. Sorry if that upsets you but, I responded to the post about NYC that I still visit every couple of weeks but, just a little over a year ago I was there a couple of times a week.

by Anonymousreply 156February 20, 2021 4:41 AM

The annoying part is that the posts are repetitive, fear-mongering and limited in perspective. You have the same affliction that Fran Lebowitz has where you complain that everything is worse than it used to be, instead of recognizing that the world is constantly in flux and the value of each change is a perception. NYC is certainly facing challenges but "circling the drain" is so oversimplified.

Take The Limelight for example, it's not relevant to the current downturn, but yes, the nightlife scene has changed! But change is neutral and pandemic notwithstanding, people still enjoy their nights and weekends and have a great time. The culture has just moved to something different and you didn't follow. That's fine and even normal to experience. Complaining about it as a fault of the city when it's a personal issue is misleading though.

You fear-monger frequently about crime. It's true it has increased since last year. But you moved to NYC in 1988! Just looking at the number of murders, it was higher every single year you lived in NY than it was with 2020's uptick. And again, everything is changing. There's lots of opportunistic crime today but some economists are predicting a huge rush of big-city decadence after the vaccines. Opportunities will dry up with more crowds on the street and more political incentive to stop them.

Your other talking points which are chain stores and trash lying around are kind of unimportant? Life is about people and IMO the biggest appeal of NYC other than job opportunities is that it's one of the only places in the US dense enough to allow for the energy and buzz that it's known for. The trash and chain stores and roaches and rats don't affect that. But the stores are indicative of one of NYC's real problems which is the wealth disparity. They proliferate because only huge companies can afford the rent. So I'd give you that, but what you actually say in your posts is that the stores themselves are the issue. They don't seem that important to people, and there's always Brooklyn (until the wealth disparity moves there and fills it with chain stores too).

I feel like you probably have some good experience you can share. I also think it's a good compliment to NYC, despite what you actually say, that you still choose to build your life around the city as described in R156. But it's a pain to see the same "NY is dying" commentary on every thread that you could hear from any small-town Republican trying to make themselves feel superior.

by Anonymousreply 157February 20, 2021 5:35 PM

R157 One of the things that made NYC unique was the small independent stores , the mom and pop stores as some called them that could not in every mall and strip mall in the US. Corporate America with Bloomberg's help and enormous rent hikes put an end to those people's livelihood. If you don't want to hear about NY dying, put on your headphones and stop reading and watching the news.

by Anonymousreply 158February 20, 2021 8:24 PM

As a more ground up city, and not top down as from Giuliani's mayoralty on, new yorks buzz was more people and less corporate brand based. If you have to go to Brooklyn to escape the big stores culture, well, there's the problem right there.

by Anonymousreply 159February 20, 2021 8:33 PM

R153 and R154 have you even been to NYC? A large portion of the cops are black.

by Anonymousreply 160February 20, 2021 8:59 PM

R157 there’s good and bad. Many things are much better than they were 20 years ago. For me, it’s the off Broadway shows and the wide variety of vegan resturants! Thank you, millennials!

But lately, the subways have been frightening. The homeless problem is thrown in stark relief against the lack of tourists and commuters.

by Anonymousreply 161February 20, 2021 9:02 PM

Broadway? Vegan restaurants? I'm sorry to say this and you're probably a sweetheart but New York has too many people like you r161 and that's its downfall.

by Anonymousreply 162February 20, 2021 9:12 PM

R158 You've missed the point. I didn't say that NYC is going to be fine no matter what and that I don't want to hear news of its challenges. I said that your posts on here are not good examples of it being near death, and that you spam the same thing over and over on each post instead of contributing.

by Anonymousreply 163February 20, 2021 10:03 PM

R 163 Look at R9, R12, R41, R120, R125 and they are all saying what I've said that NYC has become a suburban mall and lacks the edge and originality it used to have. And what is nightlife now? Nightlife is dead thanks to Grindr and social media. Clubs and bars have been closing for years. The art scene? Where are the Mapplethorpes, Basquiats, Warhols, Lichtensteins? How about The Hudson Yards and The Vessel? All at an upscale mall. High Line? More empty tourist fodder.. Walk along what used to be an elevated train track! WOW! Broadway? Who will follow LaBute, Mamet, August Wilson? What Broadway musical in the last 20 years has produced a single tune that has become a standard? Chris Noth of SITC talked about this years ago. Alec Baldwin wrote an essay years ago lamenting what is disappearing in NYC. Years ago people talk about the Disneyfication of Times Square. Since 2016 NYC's population has been in decline and with headlines referring to NY as Criminal Paradise thanks to Lurch De Blasio, what's going to bring people back? The lifeblood of the city and it's culture has been in decline for a long time. That was my point.

by Anonymousreply 164February 20, 2021 11:57 PM

[R153] and [R154] have you even been to NYC? A large portion of the cops are black.

Whites are a MINORITY in the NYC police department.

by Anonymousreply 165February 21, 2021 12:23 AM

R163 See R164

Former New Yorker

by Anonymousreply 166February 21, 2021 2:05 AM

The “former New Yorkers” troll every New York thread running their mouths when the OP is almost always asking for opinions from current New Yorkers. All the screaming Marys in weehawken and Ohio and Denver get rock hard at the sight of an NYC thread and start yapping their traps about mom and pop stores dying and the horrible subway and blah blah blah New York is dead, it fucking sucks, everyone who still lives there is pathetic etc. We hear you every fucking time. Loud and clear. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 167February 21, 2021 7:24 PM

Agree it’s not what it was - but is still the place I want to be. The people, diversity and attitude that comes from living densely with millions is uniquely NYC. Haven’t found any place else that does it for me. Hoping the pandemic let the air out of the hyper gentrification - but have a feeling people will rush back in when Covid starts to fade.

by Anonymousreply 168February 21, 2021 9:31 PM

My personal opinion is that the economy will come roaring back once the pandemic ends. It will be a new "roaring '20s" filled with very exuberant living. And then, just like 1929, there will be some sort of crash.

by Anonymousreply 169February 21, 2021 10:09 PM

R167 Live closer to Manhattan than most people who live in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. I have live in, worked in and visited NYC for over 40 years. I've witnessed and experienced the changes that have gone on for decades and still do. Why is my opinion not valid? And why is your response an angry tirade that explains nothing? How long have you lived in NY? 17 years? Do you live in the city or Brooklyn?

by Anonymousreply 170February 21, 2021 10:12 PM

"All the screaming Marys in weehawken and Ohio and Denver get rock hard at the sight of an NYC thread and start yapping their traps about mom and pop stores dying and the horrible subway and blah blah blah New York is dead, it fucking sucks, everyone who still lives there is pathetic etc. We hear you every fucking time. Loud and clear. Enough already."

To be honest, we just don't care, since we have our own concerns. So, we aren't spending time worrying about you or your city. No, the posters are New Yorkers or those who recently left.

by Anonymousreply 171February 21, 2021 10:20 PM

R171 The thread is about NY and will it bounce back and by implication if and when that may happen. And what are your own concerns? Why not express those instead of going on the attack? NYC which is really the subject has lost 60 billion dollars from the lack of tourists and most landlords haven't ben receiving rents for months and many businesses are not planning to return and the spike in crime isn't helping. Those are basic facts, face them! No one is saying you should move, that's your choice. If you're happy living there even though you don't sound happy, fine.

by Anonymousreply 172February 21, 2021 10:34 PM

Latest update on NYC real estate market.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173February 25, 2021 11:42 AM

I’m admittedly one of the gloaters. As recently as 18 months ago there were threads here saying how NYC was the greatest city in the US, and their citizens were somehow superior to other Americans. I’m from Texas, so took much glee in seeing the demise of NYC (still do) and the “superior” people getting taken down. Can you imagine being stuck there now? Fearing for your life just walking to pick up coffee? Regretting every decision you ever made to place you in the center of hell? And lastly, receiving the comeuppance you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 174February 25, 2021 12:05 PM

R174 lol.... Go on and gloat honey. Whatever it takes to justify living in TEXAS. You couldn’t pay me. I love living in New York City - always have and always will. Zero regrets.

Very rich to accuse New Yorkers of thinking they are superior when all you hear from the cunts in Texas is don’t mess with them and they are bigger and better with their guns and meat and bullshit unregulated power grid.

I’ll bicker with my gurl in Weehawken all day every day but when a bitch from Texas shows up.... this thread is officially done.

by Anonymousreply 175February 25, 2021 12:21 PM

^^^ This.

by Anonymousreply 176February 25, 2021 12:22 PM

R174 is from New York, pretending to be from Texas. It's too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 177February 25, 2021 12:32 PM

As soon as I am vaccinated, hopefully by late-April I'm heading to NYC for a couple of nights. Can't wait! (Yes, I will follow NYC travel protocols and continue to mask for the safety of those around me)

by Anonymousreply 178February 25, 2021 12:58 PM

True re r174. Good point.

by Anonymousreply 179February 25, 2021 1:01 PM

I'm here in NYC, doing great. We send our love.

by Anonymousreply 180February 25, 2021 1:04 PM

R174 I’ve lived here my whole life and am anxious as hell to leave. Tired of It. But I don’t fear for my life when I get coffee in the city. When you walk around, it deals pretty normal, except there is lighter foot traffic. The heavy car traffic remains. I believe the stories of the crimes obviously, but I don’t really think that when I’m walking around.

I will say I wouldn’t take the subway if it’s still empty. There were crazy/aggressive homeless people on there befire COVID obviously, but all the riders acted like a buffer. Yes, there were sometimes fights between trashy people if one person accidentally shoved someone else or whatever, but again, the dense crowd of passengers prevented escalation. Now I read the story of the homeless woman and mother who got into a fight and a baby ended up getting punched. That’s just really, really sad.

Where have all the civic minded people gone?

by Anonymousreply 181February 25, 2021 2:19 PM

Oh and r174 there will always be peope clamoring to move here, especially the young. There are countless great things about the city. I’m just tired of the urban lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 182February 25, 2021 2:20 PM

r181 have you noticed a difference in the subway since the 80s to now? I've been here since early 2000s and always felt safe on the train but now I feel very uneasy. I guess it's because of the lack of a buffer like you said, but am curious whether the subway felt unsafe for other reasons in the 70s/80s and how you dealt with it?

I go back and forth about being tired of the urban lifestyle. I think if I had a partner, I would be fine moving out of the city but being single, I like being able to walk outside and see people. I spent some time in the suburbs over the summer and found it very lonely. Initially it was amazing, but once I got used to it, I felt isolated. Also, probably because of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 183February 25, 2021 2:27 PM

R174 Texas? Um, no. Tx and Fla, the two states I've avoided so far. But you be you.

by Anonymousreply 184February 25, 2021 2:47 PM

R183 I think the subway has gotten safer since the 80s, but I was too young to ride it until the 90s.

The subway is fine, I guess (except for this bizarre spate of pointless attacks). I’m just tired of riding it.

by Anonymousreply 185February 26, 2021 4:23 AM

You notice a difference at night, streets in Manhattan are largely devoid of traffic until things start picking up for rush hour next morning.

Took a walk around east 70's and 80's from Third to Fifth last night around 12:30 AM. Basically not a soul about except some young people trying to have fun, or rushing home. That and various service/delivery people making their way home or whatever.

Mind you with bars, restaurants and everything else forced to close by 11 pm or so there really isn't a reason to be out anyway. I mean there's no place to go or things to do anymore until late hours. Well unless you know of a private (and illegal) mass gathering or other party.

It is such a contrast to daytime when at least on UES things are all go. Construction is busy putting up or tearing down buildings. Stores are largely open, people are out and about.....

by Anonymousreply 186February 27, 2021 3:13 PM

Subways are empty. Assholes still get on without masks. But they’re very clean.

by Anonymousreply 187February 27, 2021 3:30 PM

I’m amazed at the amount of construction that continues. The massive Googleplex in the West Village for example. Or Steve Cohens mega-mansion on Perry St. These are huge investments in NYC real estate. I could only hope the market would crash and these luxury buildings become cheap enough for normal folk. But the reality is NYC will return with a slowly building roar as Covid subsides. The pent up demand for socializing and being around people is going to make NYC THE destination post-Covid. Just hoping some of my favorite bars and restaurants survive until then.

I’ve seen 3 new leases signed for restaurants near me. Seems like landlords are finally accepting reality and more reasonable rents for commercial spaces - which would be a huge change for the Village.

by Anonymousreply 188February 27, 2021 3:31 PM

There used to be a huge dropoff fee if you were moving stuff to California or Texas or New York because nobody wanted to move anything to the sticks. Now I hear it's reversed and you can get good deals in moving your stuff to NYC

by Anonymousreply 189February 27, 2021 7:07 PM

"Subways are empty"

But we're still here, serving the sandwiches that New Yorkers love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190February 27, 2021 7:13 PM

A violent home invasion in Queens and another subway slashing plus and ineffectual Mayor and corrupt Governor. NY will bounce back like a bowling ball!

by Anonymousreply 191March 3, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote] Tourists have read on DL that gay men rim each other in Sodom on the Hudson. Horrified, they will not be back to visit.

Oh grow up Dorothy

by Anonymousreply 192March 3, 2021 4:21 AM

R188 all those construction projects may have been commenced or the contracts signed pre COVID. Once the contracts are signed backing out gets very difficult and expensive, its usually best to push on. Its good that landlords are becoming more realistic

R189 that is interesting - the market speaks

by Anonymousreply 193March 3, 2021 5:10 AM

I know private sector professionals who are trying to move elsewhere and work remotely. Medical Doctors and Nurses are leaving. Of course, there are those NYC never leavers.

by Anonymousreply 194March 3, 2021 5:11 AM

Walking around UES/Yorkville noticed plenty of apartments that vacated early last spring and sat empty for several months have begun to rent. Even the crappy ground floor units in five or six story walk up tenements that face street (over garbage bins) have rented.

Going by window decorations and from what can be seen from street it's the same as always has been for such units. Two or more young people renting as roommates. Or in some cases a single person....

Covid madness seems to be dying out among many, and for the young who formerly were forced far out to less savory parts of east Brooklyn, or way out in Queens now is a good time to find an apartment in Manhattan.

Yorkville no longer is the no man's land it once was thanks to the Second Avenue subway so there's that as well.

by Anonymousreply 195March 3, 2021 5:52 AM

Yorkville resident here and can attest it's a great neighborhood. Safe, quiet but consistently people around, not as many aggressive fraus/strollers as the UWS and easy access now with the Q train. And close to Central Park and Carl Schurz.

Yorkville DLers unite - I love that there are a handful of us on here.

by Anonymousreply 196March 3, 2021 2:18 PM

R195 Glad that the Second Avenue subway is done, I remember the noise from the construction and the traffic and how it caused people to leave the neighborhood but, ironically people are wary of using the subway now and understandably so. Is Yorkville still the whitest naborhood in the city. A few years back the population was 76% white.

by Anonymousreply 197March 3, 2021 4:07 PM

R197 Today the whitest neighborhood is Tribeca. Home to wealthy liberal elites.

by Anonymousreply 198March 3, 2021 4:50 PM

The population in NY has been declining since 2010 and NY could lose up to 2 congressional seats. In 2019, pre pandemic NY was #1 in population decrease in the nation. A trend that shows no signs of abating.

by Anonymousreply 199March 3, 2021 5:10 PM

lol FNY. go off queen. keep feeding us those facts. teach us a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 200March 3, 2021 5:59 PM

NY rents have rebounded and are up 4% month over month.

They are down still for the year but heading back up now.

Looks like the party is over.

by Anonymousreply 201March 3, 2021 6:59 PM

Texas is a shithole.

They don’t even have running water or electricity.

I mean come on.

by Anonymousreply 202March 3, 2021 7:04 PM

R200 Why so angry? Who is "us"? You really need to find a husband instead of feeding trolls. Remember those who troll trolls are trolls.

by Anonymousreply 203March 3, 2021 7:44 PM

He gives new meaning to the word “Wilhelmstrasse.”

by Anonymousreply 204March 3, 2021 8:07 PM

lol FNY i'm not angry at all - stop projecting. i like all your facts and figures.

and honey i have a husband. xx

by Anonymousreply 205March 3, 2021 8:31 PM

R200

"Facts are stupid things."

by Anonymousreply 206March 3, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote] Texas is a shithole.

San Francisco had literal shit in the street even before COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 207March 3, 2021 9:24 PM

[quote]Who is "us"?

Those of us that you are trolling, FNY/r203. (I'm not r200). You're an annoying little twerp. Tiresome.

At least now you've admitted that you're a troll. Everyone should F&F your every signature. I doubt that you even lived in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 3, 2021 10:38 PM

R208 Face facts you're a troll. And who's coming to NYC in April? Theaters need to be filled to near capacity in order to make a profit and tourists like half of US citizens polled said they did not feel safe going back to "normal" even after the vaccine, It may be a jump start but the vehicle is dead! Wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 209March 3, 2021 11:06 PM

R205 Just last week at R183 you said you didn't have a partner. So I'm sorry if I assumed but, are partner and husband 2 different things?

by Anonymousreply 210March 4, 2021 1:26 AM

R208 I doubt you "live" in NY; you just exist. Look at R9 R47, R58, R125, R133,R135 and they are saying what I said at R146. NY has been changing for the worse for 20 years. Beige, Cake, Jackie 60, The Limelight, The Tunnel, 10th Avenue Lounge, Barracuda, Crowbar, Splash are long gone. Chelsea, The Village, UWS, East Village gentrified and suburbanized. 30 years ago people protested the building of NYCs first K-Mart on Astor Place now it's the norm. I really "lived" in NY. I lived in a different NY than the one that exists now.

Oh, and I guess you gurls have banned me from the Cashmere Sweater Club. Oh, my!

by Anonymousreply 211March 4, 2021 1:59 AM

R158 the problem is current New Yorkers like R205 and R208 have only experienced the bland and boring NYC and can't imagine what is was like before the Adderall zombies arrived walking the streets talking and staring at their phones.

by Anonymousreply 212March 5, 2021 4:31 AM

Things will never be back to normal. There are so many empty stores! It's very bad.

The subway is not safe. People are getting slashed, stabbed, pushed etc every day.

Just yesterday 2 people were slashed at 59th and lexington station (n and r line).

Still seeing moving vans every day.

by Anonymousreply 213March 5, 2021 4:59 AM

The five boroughs are losing population at a rapid clip. Suburbs of New York are gaining residents, but The City is becoming a ghost town.

New York is a tourist town. When the theaters and museums and restaurants are all closed, tourists stay away. Another year of shut downs and Manhattan will be a bad zombie flick.

by Anonymousreply 214March 5, 2021 5:04 AM

I imagine it will take at least 5 years for things to be slightly normal.

by Anonymousreply 215March 5, 2021 5:08 AM

R9 For many current New Yorkers like R174 the bland, corporate NY is all they know. It's the land of Whole Foods, Starbucks, Walgreens, Five Guys and Target and they think it's the greatest city and if you're from Petticoat Junction maybe it is. I remember going to Times Square on New Years in the 80s at 10:30 pm and it wasn't a problem. No bag checks, no being herded in and having to arrive at noon! It was simpler and more fun. 3 terms of Bloomberg was one of the worst things to happen to NY.

by Anonymousreply 216March 5, 2021 5:10 AM

r216 ^ New Year's Eve. Stood under the marque of the Criterion Theater where Tequila Sunrise (1988) was playing and watched the ball drop.

by Anonymousreply 217March 5, 2021 5:13 AM

I bet Broadway will have sellout crowds once we're all vaccinated. Looking forward to buying some tickets to anything.

by Anonymousreply 218March 5, 2021 5:30 AM

[quote] 3 terms of Bloomberg was one of the worst things to happen to NY.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 219March 5, 2021 7:39 AM

"Looking forward to buying some tickets to anything."

Looking forward to your buying a ticket to see the revival of my play, which has been hailed as the greatest theatrical work in history.

by Anonymousreply 220March 5, 2021 12:09 PM

My understanding from DataLounge is that all the bad stuff happening is pretty limited to a small part of the city that DataLoungers do not frequent.

by Anonymousreply 221March 5, 2021 12:15 PM

Well I just blocked the FNY troll and at least 20 posts beautifully vanished from this thread.

by Anonymousreply 222March 5, 2021 12:25 PM

Broadway won’t be selling out for awhile and that includes this fall when they supposedly think they’ll be back. It will be years before a recovery and even then it won’t be to be pre-pandemic levels. Same for Lincoln Center and other arts organizations. The Met, Carnegie, Philharmonic and NYCB will not be opening at full capacity in the fall, and when they do, likely sometime in later 2022, the audiences which are comprised mostly of ancient senior citizens will not return at the levels they were at. The complete fall out for the arts in this country is nowhere near to being fully understood. It is absolutely disastrous.

by Anonymousreply 223March 5, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote][R208] I doubt you "live" in NY; you just exist. Look at [R9] [R47], [R58], [R125], [R133],[R135] and they are saying what I said at [R146]. NY has been changing for the worse for 20 years. Beige, Cake, Jackie 60, The Limelight, The Tunnel, 10th Avenue Lounge, Barracuda, Crowbar, Splash are long gone. Chelsea, The Village, UWS, East Village gentrified and suburbanized. 30 years ago people protested the building of NYCs first K-Mart on Astor Place now it's the norm. I really "lived" in NY. I lived in a different NY than the one that exists now.

Bitch, (r211) please. I've been here from the 70s. I was shooting pool at Splash when the first Broadway Bares happened. I lived in the East Village and ran an after hours club there. I remember Chameleon, Boy Bar, Aztec, Pyramid, and I could go on, but the point is this: even if those places still existed, I wouldn't be frequenting them. That was decades ago. Now, I am more inclined to go to museums, walk in parks, beach comb, work in the community garden. I'm doing more than exist. I'm thriving.

When the bars and restaurants come trickling back, I'll be here. For someone who seems to have enjoyed NYC so much during a specific time from, you seem to enjoy even more shitting all over it now.

by Anonymousreply 224March 5, 2021 12:51 PM

I kind of want to go to the movies when they reopen at reduced capacity. Is that crazy? With a KN95 - if I go at an off time?

I never thought I would miss going to the movies but here we are.

by Anonymousreply 225March 5, 2021 1:00 PM

Personally I would say get vaccinated first r225, then go see as many movies as your heart desires.

by Anonymousreply 226March 5, 2021 1:14 PM

R224 I also stopped going out as I got older. I too loved the Pyramid, Boy Bar et al.

But I also get r211 is saying. Even though dinner parties and art openings became more my thing I also starting sensing the loss of the edge among the young people coming in, year after year.

As the city became increasingly expensive only rich kids could come here. There was less and less room for experimentation, exploration, and their necessary corollary, failure.

by Anonymousreply 227March 5, 2021 1:14 PM

[quote] A violent home invasion in Queens

It was a push-in robbery. Everyone is so dramatic these days. In my day you looked both ways before you put your key in the lock & you made sure no one was around. It’s been so safe for so many years that fraus don’t even do basic reconnaissance anymore. Bish, LOOK. Use your eyes & your common sense.

by Anonymousreply 228March 5, 2021 2:54 PM

But are there any DLers in Queens to start with?

by Anonymousreply 229March 5, 2021 3:16 PM

R227 You're thriving good for you but many have been leaving for years pre pandemic and decades ago a shift from Manhattan to Brooklyn occurred for a reason: socially and culturally and financially the city changed an people decide to move on. Enjoy! Don't take it personally, everyone has their own unique experiences and NY no longer works for some and as you and Fran Lebowitz know, it has changed drastically since 9/11 and Bloomberg. And it's the homeless that are shitting on NY!

by Anonymousreply 230March 5, 2021 3:50 PM

R224^

by Anonymousreply 231March 5, 2021 3:51 PM

R228 Yeah, and be that as it may the news stories of violent crime on the streets and subways in NY isn't going to help bring tourists and businesses back. Who wants to come to a place where you feel you can't let your guard down?

by Anonymousreply 232March 5, 2021 4:01 PM

R222 Says the person with the imaginary husband who has 23 posts on this thread and needs to announce blocking someone to the world!

by Anonymousreply 233March 5, 2021 4:20 PM

8 people injured as van crashes into makeshift outdoor dining facility. You are literally dining on the street where cars were usually parked and are a foot away from traffic with a piece of plastic between you and disaster. On 10th Avenue between 43 and 44th there is outdoor dining on both sides of the street forcing traffic into 2 lanes. Some streets like 46th Street aka Restaurant Row are blocked to vehicular traffic but many major streets can't do that. Disaster seems imminent..

by Anonymousreply 234March 5, 2021 8:29 PM

R85 Target boutique on ground floor of new building10th between 44/45th street on the site that was the Hess gas station for decades, It's he malling of Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 235March 6, 2021 10:14 AM

I will never spend one tourist dollar in NYC ever again. NY should get congressional seats taken away. Your leadership is shady and seems to be owned by the mob. Crime is rampant and basic food and services are exorbitantly priced. There’s no reason to live there or pay those prices since the “magic of NYC” is gone and “the greatest city in the US” monikers are now untrue. Nothing lasts forever and defending the credibility of NYC just proves your ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 236March 6, 2021 11:00 AM

^^^ resident of Podunk.

by Anonymousreply 237March 6, 2021 11:48 AM

“NYC is so over.”

by Anonymousreply 238March 6, 2021 1:05 PM

Opening up but crime is bouncing back. The head of the MTA said he was afraid to let his children ride the subway. 2 pedestrians killed in separate vehicular accidents, 18 year old hit smashed in the with bottle on subway platform, 34 year old beaten to death in East Harlem, 15 year old stabbed in broad daylight in Brooklyn . . .The Big Crapple as it's now known.

by Anonymousreply 239March 14, 2021 1:36 AM

You're right about one thing, R239. You're a fucking clown.

by Anonymousreply 240March 14, 2021 2:24 AM

No kidding, r240! r239 is "Former New Yorker", who started this thread and is responsible for a rather large percentage of its posts. It's baffling, really. Is he longing for the New York of his youth? Angry that an ever-changing city isn't the same as it was decades ago?

Such an odd idée fixe.

by Anonymousreply 241March 14, 2021 3:23 AM

R241, you can smell the failure off these sad cases like R239 who couldn't hack NYC and now attempt to trash it. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 242March 14, 2021 4:02 AM

R239 R240 I'm not angry nor did I start this thread. The city is not the gay mecca it was. Neighborhoods have been gentrified and taken over by fraus with strollers others have said this on several thread about NY. People feel the same way about the Pines in FI; too many straight people now. My feelings are not uncommon; just watch the documentary with Fran Lebowitz. The culture changed in the post 9/11 Bloomberg era which created a boom for real estate that drove people and small businesses out and corporate chains took over.

I was in the city Wednesday had lunch with friends at the Sullivan Street Bakery in Chelsea and got my haircut at the place I've been going to for 15 years. I didn't start this thread and why not ignore me since you see so easily triggered. I was happy that one of my favorite restaurants in HK 44th and 10th was reopening and it has plenty of outdoor seating on the sidewalk. Crime has continued to rise, the subways appear dangerous and many former NY restaurant owners have been opening in Delray Beach and Fort Lauderdale.

Since you seem so easily triggered why not ignore me? Why attack me or do dime store psychoanalysis.

by Anonymousreply 243March 14, 2021 4:13 AM

Sure, Jan R243. And if you know anything about Fran Lebowitz, you would know that she wouldn't live anywhere else but NYC--unlike you, a "former New Yorker."

by Anonymousreply 244March 14, 2021 4:17 AM

R241 You're angry and it's called projection when you transfer those feelings to others. Why do you take things so personally? I've never attacked you. I don't really care what you think and why do you care what I think? I accept change but I don't have to like it and I like many others left NY. The downward trend in population started pre pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 245March 14, 2021 4:31 AM

R245, clearly anyone like you who posts unrelentingly negative assessments of NYC repeatedly on a thread has issues with NYC. Why bother to bitch about NYC if you don't really care?

by Anonymousreply 246March 14, 2021 4:34 AM

And all the while making the statement you're a "FNY."

by Anonymousreply 247March 14, 2021 4:35 AM

R244 Did you watch the documentary? On Bill Maher she said it wasn't that she like LA more than she used to but rather she likes NY less than she used to. And realistically, where else could this chain smoking, non cell phone owner, Oscar Wilde look alike live? In the doc she doesn't like the ethos of current New Yorkers, Citi bikes, the ugly buildings or De Blasio.

by Anonymousreply 248March 14, 2021 5:36 AM

R246 You are proof of how unexciting life in NY has become. It isn't that the places I went to no longer exist but nothing interesting or comparable was put in their place unless you thrill to a new Target in HK? And the boring Adderall zombies addicted to their phones aren't the most interesting of people and here you are on a Saturday in the Greatest City in the World on DL responding to me!

by Anonymousreply 249March 14, 2021 5:45 AM

F247 Well I was a Manhattanite for 18 years, live 10 minutes from Midtown across the Hudson and worked in Manhattan until 2015 and still frequented NY until the pandemic. So I have witnessed and experienced the changes in NYC over the a number of years and unless you have lived there or worked there over a period of 27 years as I have, how would you know what it was like? Why triggered that I sign FNY?

by Anonymousreply 250March 14, 2021 7:52 AM

R240 see R250 Well non-entity anonymous 240,42.43, 46,47 That smell is not failure but the crotch rot in you mother's basement. You should analyze why you are wasting a Saturday night responding to a a pathetic, negative failure who couldn't hack it in NY according to you. My answer to anything you have to say is:

Sure Jan

Sure Jan

Sure Jan

by Anonymousreply 251March 14, 2021 8:14 AM

I've lived in Manhattan since the 1960s. Of course, it's not the same as it was. No place is. It's still a better place to live than most.

by Anonymousreply 252March 14, 2021 12:01 PM

[quote][R241] You're angry and it's called projection when you transfer those feelings to others. Why do you take things so personally? I've never attacked you. I don't really care what you think and why do you care what I think? I accept change but I don't have to like it and I like many others left NY. The downward trend in population started pre pandemic.

I'm not angry, I'm baffled. Also, I'm r208. You most certainly attacked me when you posted at r211, when you projected that I could not possibly be "living" in NYC. You've attacked many ("crotch rot in your mother's basement"?), and your posts make up roughly 10% of this thread. It's just weird to me that you spend so much time spreading bad news about a city that you used to love. I respond because I want to understand why you are trying to get others to feel the same way that you do. What's your upside here?

by Anonymousreply 253March 14, 2021 2:32 PM

I went to bed while FNY continued her rant about NYC at R248/R249/R250, while making the suggestion that Lebowitz is down on NYC just because she "likes it less." All FNY does is berate NYC for not being the city she nostaligically remembers it as, while not acknowledging what people who've lived here longer than 18 years love it for.

Frankly, no one cares one iota if FNY ever returns to NYC or that she ever moved to NYC to begin with. My life in NYC, after a lot more than 18 years, of living here, is the same: I'm quite content. And if people don't like where they live, they should leave. But usually they don't keep bitching about where they used to live, as FNY does, because her ass is chapped.

by Anonymousreply 254March 14, 2021 3:07 PM

R253 It's called responding in kind. If you are New Yorker or just a DLer you better develop a tougher skin.

by Anonymousreply 255March 14, 2021 5:27 PM

R254 But you care enough to make me the topic. You doth protest too much! Your concern is showing.

Sure Jan

Sure Jan

Sure Jan

by Anonymousreply 256March 14, 2021 5:29 PM

FNY, you're responsible for a quarter of this thread at this point. And believe me, hunty--I have quite a tough skin, unlike you, who couldn't hack NYC and ran to NJ and have been bitching about NYC ever since. LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 257March 14, 2021 5:52 PM

Disturbing Video Shows 3 Men Attack NYC Sanitation Worker with a Bat, Steal His Phone NY Post 3/11/21

Bloody Night in NY Leaves 2 Men Dead Two More Wounded NY Post 3/12/21

Only in NY kids, only in New York! Woman Stabs Taser Wielding 14 Year Old During Argument in NYC Subway Station NY Post 3/13/21

by Anonymousreply 258March 14, 2021 6:01 PM

It's not only in NYC, R258. Do you pay attention to the crime stats in Chicago? Philly? They're worse. Really, girls--if you're so afraid of NYC, stay away!

by Anonymousreply 259March 14, 2021 6:03 PM

R259 Has NY City Bounced Back? Leave Chicago alone!

by Anonymousreply 260March 14, 2021 6:08 PM

Chicago Shootout Leaves at Least Two Dead at South Side Party

NY Post 3/14/2021

Feel better R259?

I don't live near nor have I visited Chicago in over 20 years. Why should I or you care. Whataboutism isn't going to bring tourists or businesses back to NYC. And I'm not afraid to visit NY as I was there last Wednesday and will be there Thursday. Why concern yourself with Philly or Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 261March 14, 2021 6:26 PM

Because NYC was singled out in the R258 post, which mentioned subway crime in NYC and said "only in NYC." I posted saying that's bullshit. Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 262March 14, 2021 6:57 PM

Illegal 'pop up' Party in Brooklyn Ends with 5 people Shot

ABC News

Focus on your your own problems New York! You're no better than us!

by Anonymousreply 263March 14, 2021 7:01 PM

It's the implication that NYC is more crime ridden than these other cities that's the point. Are you illiterate?

by Anonymousreply 264March 14, 2021 7:09 PM

R264 The the head of the NY MTA stated that he is afraid for his children to ride the subway. I'm sure it's a consolation to him knowing Chicago is even more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 265March 14, 2021 7:17 PM

And why does that concern you, Former New Yorker? Why concern yourself with New York City?

by Anonymousreply 266March 14, 2021 7:44 PM

I have been on Zillow every day since June thinking about moving back there. Some Upper East Side apartments are actually reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 267March 14, 2021 7:47 PM

New York remains one the safest cities. Safer than DC, Chicago, LA, Houston etc.

I'll never stop being amused by people shocked than you can find crime in a major city. Stick to the burbs if you can't handle living in a city.

by Anonymousreply 268March 14, 2021 7:49 PM

Hear hear, R268. That's essentially the point. Cities have--shock!--crime!

And FNY can't seem to decide what she hates most about NYC--the fact that it's become homogenized and gentrified, or that crime is now up. Any excuse, apparently, to drag NYC from her perch in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 269March 14, 2021 7:53 PM

ANONYMOUS QUOTES:

What fucking site do you think you're posting on?

You're a cunt nobody quotes!

Are you all morons?

Your faux outrage is tiresome!

You type dumb!

R264 Types angry troll! Nice that she spends so much precious time responding to idiots, clowns, illiterates, and cunts. She loves those cunts!

It's not him you fucking idiot!

She's sharper than a lot of the dullards here!

What a bunch of stupid cunts troll here!

So boring to have to explain Fran's appeal to dimwits!

You jealous cunt!

I'd say you are the ones who are boring and repetitious and irrelevant . . .

by Anonymousreply 270March 14, 2021 7:58 PM

R266 Why concern yourself with me? I'm not the topic of this thread. Why not go to 44th and 10th it just reopened or stroll or cycle in Central Park or Riverside Park or see if there is a pop up show in Times Square . . .

You type basement dweller!

by Anonymousreply 271March 14, 2021 8:08 PM

Hey, Ronny at R271, and despite what you seem to think, I have no concern for you (but you already knew that). And I'm not nearly as obsessed with that rather mediocre restaurant you seem to love at 44andX, and in fact, I've been out today. But I also have a high floor and a balcony, so I'm also not a basement dweller. But you're the one who signs off as a fast-food clow, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 272March 14, 2021 8:35 PM

R272

SURE JAN!

SURE JAN!

SURE JAN!

by Anonymousreply 273March 14, 2021 8:44 PM

^^^The clown, again.^^^

by Anonymousreply 274March 14, 2021 8:51 PM

Woman, 68, Punched in Random Attack in Greenwich Village Attack

1010 Wins 2hrs ago

by Anonymousreply 275March 14, 2021 9:21 PM

2 Injured after Gunfire Exchange on Major Deegan Expressway Exit 5 Mott Haven section Bronx

Eyewitness News 2mins ago

by Anonymousreply 276March 14, 2021 9:28 PM

Expressway shooting. So don't walk around on the expressway.

by Anonymousreply 277March 14, 2021 9:31 PM

Innocent Mom Killed by Stray Bullet as Violence Soars in NYC

Sunday Post 3/14/2021

by Anonymousreply 278March 14, 2021 9:36 PM

Protestors Damages Outdoor Dining Barrier in Manhattan, Man Cut on Face

7 Eyewitness News 13mins ago

by Anonymousreply 279March 14, 2021 9:42 PM

R277 Idiot, no one was walking on the expressway! And don't walk around Greenwhich Village or eat outdoors in Midtown. Stay in your basement Jan!

by Anonymousreply 280March 14, 2021 9:44 PM

"Idiot, no one was walking on the expressway!"

Oh dear, Ronny--who exactly is the idiot?

And who says "Greenwich Village"? A hick clown?

by Anonymousreply 281March 14, 2021 9:57 PM

All those shootings in "Greenwich Village" or "Midtown"!

by Anonymousreply 282March 14, 2021 10:00 PM

For some of us new York has lost something amazing, for others it still means a lot. It is not the city only. It is us. What we did. What we do. What we live for. It's a different city for every one of us.

by Anonymousreply 283March 14, 2021 10:09 PM

For some of us who actually live here (maybe even a lot of us who live here), New York has lost nothing, amazing or otherwise. That's maybe why we're still here, and others left. But blaming NYC for the effects of a pandemic is as shallow as so many people posting here, none of whom actually inhabit NYC.

by Anonymousreply 284March 14, 2021 10:16 PM

R281 R282 The news reporter referred to it a Greenwich Village and nowhere did I see or say that anyone was shot in "the Village" or Midtown. The shootings occurred in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx though the night is till young and that could change.

by Anonymousreply 285March 14, 2021 10:23 PM

R267 After what has occurred in the city over the weekend, you may find rentals have become even more affordable.

by Anonymousreply 286March 14, 2021 10:26 PM

R267, I recommend NYC--it's better than NJ, where you look across the water and grow bitter, like FNY.

by Anonymousreply 287March 14, 2021 10:29 PM

R287 Good, but you don't convincingly sound like someone who is enjoying it and you are trying too hard to persuade the clowns, cunts, idiots and dimwits on DL that you are! You could live in Plattsburg and do as much!

by Anonymousreply 288March 14, 2021 10:40 PM

People are miserable in New York right now. It's no fun. Hopefully it will improve soon. We need New York. At least during our lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 289March 14, 2021 10:45 PM

"but you don't convincingly sound like someone who is enjoying it"

Really, R288? Did you miss my post where I said I'm quite content? And all my posts defending NYC against people like you, who don't live here? It's not like I'm trying to recruit people. In fact, I'd like fewer people living here.

People are. miserable everywhere at the moment, R289.

by Anonymousreply 290March 14, 2021 10:47 PM

Oh dear Lord - make this stop.

It’s been interesting to see how extreme the bounce back will be - based on the warm weather this past week. The under 30s are out getting raging drunk and partying like I heavens seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 291March 14, 2021 10:48 PM

I hope the rents continue to go down. I saw some listings where they were increased by 50 bucks. Also a lot of warehousing going on...meaning they "warehouse" the empty apts so there is less available apts in the market.

by Anonymousreply 292March 14, 2021 10:50 PM

Isn't it St. Patrick's Day, R291?

by Anonymousreply 293March 14, 2021 10:51 PM

I love the defenders throwing pink paint all over the overall situation in the city. When in truth, most posts call it what it is. Simply dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 294March 14, 2021 11:46 PM

"throwing pink paint all over the overall situation"

Is that good or bad? I've never heard of "throwing pink paint".

by Anonymousreply 295March 14, 2021 11:52 PM

R294, another who doesn't live in NYC and pretends to be all knowing about what it means to live in the city on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 296March 15, 2021 12:19 AM

The bottom line: everyone on this thread who attacks NYC doesn't live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 297March 15, 2021 12:21 AM

Oh and by the way, come summer, when the vaccine has been administered to a large swath of the population and tourists flood NYC, this thread will be a quaint remnant. And fall, Broadway will open.

by Anonymousreply 298March 15, 2021 12:24 AM

But FNY will still be living in NJ! LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 299March 15, 2021 12:25 AM

R299 I live a mere 10 minutes away from Midtown closer than most people who live in the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, Brooklyn and even Inwood. I have all the advantages: lower taxes, more room, it's greener, cleaner, quieter, much less crowded and safer. I can go to NY when I want and leave it all behind when I want. Don't waste time and pity on me.

by Anonymousreply 300March 15, 2021 12:34 AM

YOU ARE SO JEALOUS

by Anonymousreply 301March 15, 2021 12:36 AM

R300, I live in the heart of HK in a highrise with a balcony and a view of everything from the Hudson to Times Square.

by Anonymousreply 302March 15, 2021 12:46 AM

R302 If I wanted to live in NY I could but, having lived there I don't want to live there now even with the drop in rental prices. My friend lived in a high rise in HK with a balcony on the SW corner of 43rd and 10th and moved to North Carolina 10 years ago and has no desire to come back. And none of your 26 posts have convinced me.

by Anonymousreply 303March 15, 2021 1:18 AM

Is there fun stuff to do in NYC right now?

by Anonymousreply 304March 15, 2021 1:20 AM

R304- Yes. Wait in a 45 line to get into Fairway on the Upper West Side.

by Anonymousreply 305March 15, 2021 1:30 AM

Really! Are you being facetious? Haven't been up there in a long time but, one the pandemic silver linings is that the city is less crowded. I was at the Citarella's in Greenwich Village Wednesday and it wasn't crowded. Years ago I stopped going to Whole Foods. The one E57th and the one on 7th in Chelsea because were always so overcrowded and the check out lines ridiculously long.

by Anonymousreply 306March 15, 2021 1:43 AM

R303, I'm not interestred in convincing you or your friend. My life in NYC is wonderful. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 307March 15, 2021 1:56 AM

Blocking FNY has turned this thread into a crew of New Yorkers defending the city and I love it.

I will say rents seem to be rising a bit. I noticed the landlord of my building raised the rent $200 for an apartment I rented last month (exact same layout different floor).

Still deals to be had for sure though. Poster above - come to the UES! If you’re looking for quiet, safe and decidedly uncool - it’s the place to be. I love it over here.

by Anonymousreply 308March 15, 2021 2:05 AM

R307 Thou dost protest too much.

by Anonymousreply 309March 15, 2021 2:25 AM

On the contrary,R309. NYC is just fine.

by Anonymousreply 310March 15, 2021 2:55 AM

To be clear: we in NYC are just fine.

by Anonymousreply 311March 15, 2021 2:59 AM

17 Year Old Shot Dead, Two Others Wounded in Brooklyn

NYPost 9:10pm

by Anonymousreply 312March 15, 2021 3:11 AM

R311 Clear as mud!

by Anonymousreply 313March 15, 2021 3:13 AM

R297 Distance can offer a more objective view.

by Anonymousreply 314March 15, 2021 3:17 AM

R284 Are you blind., illiterate or slow? Or in denial like Cuomo and De Blasio?

by Anonymousreply 315March 15, 2021 3:19 AM

R308 Mrs Yorkville How many times are you and your imaginary husband/partner going to block me?

by Anonymousreply 316March 15, 2021 3:22 AM

R264 Not illiterate, informed. In 2019 NYC had a 72.6% higher crime rate compared to other US cities but, after this past weekend . to say nothing of the last 8 months . . .

by Anonymousreply 317March 15, 2021 3:46 AM

So, R317, what is your connection to NYC?

by Anonymousreply 318March 15, 2021 4:01 AM

Waiting, R317.

by Anonymousreply 319March 15, 2021 4:11 AM

R319 Are you a New Yorker? You must be you sound impatient!

Look at what I posted at R243 and R250 FNY FYI

by Anonymousreply 320March 15, 2021 4:17 AM

So, Ronald McDonDonald is the same poster as FNY.

by Anonymousreply 321March 15, 2021 4:20 AM

No it's not "back", they all moved, together with their co-travelers from urban California, to nice "red" cities like Nashville, Austin, and Boise to begin the process of turning them into nightmare dystopian shitholes, too.

by Anonymousreply 322March 15, 2021 4:28 AM

R321 Yes

by Anonymousreply 323March 15, 2021 4:29 AM

I actually live in n NYC. In a high-rise with a balcony. In HK. Sorry, loser who doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 324March 15, 2021 4:29 AM

R269 My mind is made up: it's both the rise in crime and the gentrification. Why does it have to be either or? Both are reasons that NY has lost its appeal.

by Anonymousreply 325March 15, 2021 4:37 AM

Sure, Jan R325.

by Anonymousreply 326March 15, 2021 4:39 AM

Meanwhile I enjoy my view.

by Anonymousreply 327March 15, 2021 4:45 AM

R327 So your life is about a view?

by Anonymousreply 328March 15, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote]Blocking FNY has turned this thread into a crew of New Yorkers defending the city and I love it.

I confess that I find the creature's pathology fascinating, though, r208. I spent the day beach-combing and watching surfers.

Then, I had pizza and went home. A glorious NYC day.

by Anonymousreply 329March 15, 2021 4:53 AM

You should see it.

by Anonymousreply 330March 15, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]Blocking FNY has turned this thread into a crew of New Yorkers defending the city and I love it.

Whoops! I meant r308! Good on ya, fellow New Yorker!

by Anonymousreply 331March 15, 2021 4:58 AM

It beats NJ.

by Anonymousreply 332March 15, 2021 4:58 AM

It beats NJ.

by Anonymousreply 333March 15, 2021 4:59 AM

R332 R333 How would you know? When did you live here?

by Anonymousreply 334March 15, 2021 5:02 AM

I currently live here.

by Anonymousreply 335March 15, 2021 5:04 AM

And it beats NJ.

by Anonymousreply 336March 15, 2021 5:05 AM

R239 Lucky you. You didn't get sliced, punched, pushed or shot!

by Anonymousreply 337March 15, 2021 5:08 AM

F329 So going to the beach and having pizza can only happen in NY?

by Anonymousreply 338March 15, 2021 5:09 AM

You're coming undone, dear r338. I said nothing of the kind.

by Anonymousreply 339March 15, 2021 5:15 AM

All these sad people who hate NYC.

by Anonymousreply 340March 15, 2021 5:21 AM

If you use trolldar, r340, I think you'll find that there's only a few, and most of them are FNY/Ronald McDonald, who is inexplicably quoting himself in r337.

Too bad that he didn't get to watch hot surfers in NYC today.

by Anonymousreply 341March 15, 2021 5:32 AM

R329 So having pizza and going to the beach is a glorious day in NY? Is that supposed to make someone envious? Hardly activities unique to NY. Wasn't it windy at the beach? What beach did you go to? Hopefully you didn't take the subway. Or instead of a slice you might have been sliced.

by Anonymousreply 342March 15, 2021 5:33 AM

R339 Correction it's NY that is coming undone.

by Anonymousreply 343March 15, 2021 5:34 AM

[quote]Too bad that he didn't get to watch hot surfers in NYC today.

Hawt

by Anonymousreply 344March 15, 2021 6:01 AM

....and you're talking to yourself again, dear r343. Is that because you have no one else to talk to? Aw, darlin'. I'll talk to you.

[quote][R329] So having pizza and going to the beach is a glorious day in NY?

It was today, yes.

[quote]Is that supposed to make someone envious?

That is never my intention. I was just sharing my day

[quote]Wasn't it windy at the beach?

Sure was! Sunny, too!

[quote]Hopefully you didn't take the subway. Or instead of a slice you might have been sliced.

You sound quite deranged, you know.

by Anonymousreply 345March 15, 2021 6:05 AM

R345 You type humorless. And no, many people take the time out of their glorious day to respond to me.

by Anonymousreply 346March 15, 2021 6:14 AM

R340 and how sad that New Yorkers take it to heart. Did it ever occurred to that very happy people might hate NY?

by Anonymousreply 347March 15, 2021 6:16 AM

R345 And why are you sharing your happy day on this thread by the way? Do you have no one to talk to and share?

by Anonymousreply 348March 15, 2021 6:19 AM

R340 should read

did it ever occur to you . . .?

And no I don't think it did.

by Anonymousreply 349March 15, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote][R345] You type humorless.

Au contraire! I find you hilarious, r346.

[quote][R345] And why are you sharing your happy day on this thread by the way? Do you have no one to talk to and share?

I'm a giver.

by Anonymousreply 350March 15, 2021 6:44 AM

R350 Since the underlying theme of this thread seems to be that those who don't agree that NYC is bouncing back triggers accusations of never having been to or lived in NYC or of being jealous (or deranged) and by describing your "glorious" day in NY it had that feel. And I find it hilarious how many people instead of talking about the topic become mean girls and sound like catty 8th graders with one poster who has mentioned several times her high rise in HK with a balcony and a view as if there's nothing that can top that as well as those who claim to not care what I have to say but nonetheless keep reading and responding to what I say!

by Anonymousreply 351March 15, 2021 7:07 AM

[quote]Sure was! Sunny, too!

New York is an incredible sunspot. The combination of that NY sun, blue skies and being on the edge of that vast ocean makes it an incredible energy centre. It will always bounce back.

They need a new mayor (so do we in London, we have a swine - pray for us).

by Anonymousreply 352March 15, 2021 7:29 AM

R352 De Blasio is ineffectual and has not addressed the soaring spike in crime but rather issues statements about Cuomo needing to resign! Lurch De Blasio wants to be Governor I fear.

by Anonymousreply 353March 15, 2021 7:37 AM

R352, you get it, thanks. NYC has great snowstorms, too. We ain't exactly bouncing back. Covid took the wind out of everyone's sails. but we're definitely coming back. Still here, still adapting. That's what cities do, and why the simples joys of a walk on the beach and pizza al fresco with friends after is so important right now.

Good luck with your mayor. Ours isn't such a prince, either. That is a common ground that r353 and I share, though I won't stoop to schoolyard insults based on DeBlasio's physical appearance (besides, Lurch was a cool dude). I think Cuomo is a bully and a boor, but I don't think he should resign, either.

R351, how utterly bizarre that my describing the joy I experienced yesterday "had that feel" for you (whatever that means). Sometimes a walk in the beach and pizza is just a walk on the beach and a pizza (this place does not serve slices). It wasn't intended to make you "envious", or say that it was purely a New York experience, or anything else at all. Simple joys in a complicated city.

[quote][R340] and how sad that New Yorkers take it to heart. Did it ever occurred to that very happy people might hate NY?

In my experience, "very happy people" don't tend to harbor much hate. It's a poor use of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 15, 2021 7:45 AM

Some of us would like posters to share actual information on this thread instead of fighting back and forth.

And we can do without the police blotter upthread.

What’s going on in the city. Share some more stories. Is it setting pick up again? Hope on the horizon?

Details please.

by Anonymousreply 355March 15, 2021 7:47 AM

R354 You do type humorless. You sound like an old scold. And you don't sound like a giver more like a receiver.

by Anonymousreply 356March 15, 2021 7:59 AM

R355 You are not the boss of me. Why not go out in NY and find out what's going on and engage with like-minded people instead of being such a controlling bottom on DL

by Anonymousreply 357March 15, 2021 8:06 AM

Point taken, r355. There are some theatrical pop ups happening. A couple days ago, there was an event at TKTS in Times Square, with Andre DeShields, Tom Viola, and others. SIX, a Broadway show that was to open the day Broadway shut down. released a commercial. These are small things, but that's how it starts. NYC is a huge machine. When a machine like that comes to a screeching halt, you can't just flip a switch to start it again.

Some parts are broken and need to be replaced. Things will be different. You have to start slow. It will take time to figure it out...and that's ok.

I spent a couple days at a staycation at a waterfront place in NYC. I could see the water from my window. I had some lovely dining experiences, indoors and out. Those places had live music. All within whatever guidelines the city has right now (distancing, masking, etc).

Good things are happening, especially with better weather on the horizon. Museums are opening. There will be more focus on socially distanced gatherings in parks. Outdoor performances.

You've got me thinking. Maybe I'll start a "Things to do in NYC this spring" thread.

It's spring. New beginnings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358March 15, 2021 8:53 AM

That’s not happening R298.

by Anonymousreply 359March 15, 2021 9:07 AM

Since you asked, R355, an actual Nw Yorker like me can tell you that the crime stats that are meant to paint NYC as a crime-riden cesspool don't affect 95% of us who ride the subway every day without incident. And though I've only mentioned my spectacular view twice (not several times), I can also say that my neighborhood (the enviable and gay-populated Hell's Kitchen) has seen some store closings (more a rent situation than a Covid situation), most of the the restuarants have stayed open. The bars are now opening as well. The museums like the MoMA, the Met, the Whitney--all the great institutions of NYC--are open, and once the days get warmer, we'll see the same surge of people going to Central Park as we saw last spring and summer. In fact, apart from wearing a mask amd having to see people on Zoom as opposed to in person (like everyone everywhere), my daily life has changed very little, and I'm very glad to live in the city, where I don;t have to drive to get groceries, etc. Of course, Broadway remains shuttered. But it will open again, and I'm only a 5-minute walk from the theatre, so yes, there's hope. NYC is far from dead. Rents are down--a good thing for people who want to move here. People who were in offices work from home. Life goes on, like everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 360March 15, 2021 1:38 PM

The best part of living in NYC is that I don't like in NJ, like Former New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 361March 15, 2021 1:41 PM

one doesn't "like in NJ".

one LOVES in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 362March 15, 2021 1:45 PM

One can love anywhere, even NJ, but still one has to live there, and not like it, like poor FNY, who clearly wishes she still lived in NYC and pretends it's NYC's fault that she no longer does.

by Anonymousreply 363March 15, 2021 1:48 PM

R354 does not type humorless, but FNY sure does. Also, FNY also types as Ronald McDonald. She's so bitter about NYC that she types as two different people. And yes, Broadway IS coming back, you silly old fool.

by Anonymousreply 364March 15, 2021 2:19 PM

R360 Crime stats affect the 60 billion dollar a year tourist industry which affects the economy and employment. Hotels, restaurants, transportation and the arts suffer and that combined with the pandemic has already cause an even larger budget deficit which is going to make it difficult for the city to bounce back. Even ridership on the subways has dropped 70% with fewer tourists and a greater number of commuters opting to drive into the city. And the city has lost a third of its population who left for greener pastures and many of them will not return nor will the businesses return to all those empty office spaces.

by Anonymousreply 365March 15, 2021 2:27 PM

Again, FNY--or should I say Ronald McDonald?--rages against the city across the water from her. The tourist industry will of course bounce back. The pandemic has affected the economy in the world, not just NYC. Subway ridership has dropped mainly because people are working from home. And people left because rents are high in NYC (as they are in most desirable cities) and with the pandemic leaving a lot of people out of work they had to move.

by Anonymousreply 366March 15, 2021 2:35 PM

When things got tough all the trust fund kids ran back to their rural farm and sunbelt suburbs. Hopefully the CoL goes down over time in this aftermath so people that actually want to live there can live there instead of those people just want to live there to show off on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 367March 15, 2021 2:38 PM

"New York, we the world are waiting breathlessly to come back to you"

by Anonymousreply 368March 15, 2021 2:39 PM

Not at all, R368. We would actually prefer people stayed away, especially tourists. But they never will.

by Anonymousreply 369March 15, 2021 2:45 PM

To be fair tourism is a huge part of the NY economy r369, the city needs them.

by Anonymousreply 370March 15, 2021 2:46 PM

I know that. But if you're asking tha average New Yorker, we don't want tourists. Of course because NYC is a highly desirable city to visit.

by Anonymousreply 371March 15, 2021 2:51 PM

The clown from NJ probably depends on NYC for her living.

by Anonymousreply 372March 15, 2021 2:59 PM

Indeed r372. I live in NJ too, but let's be real, Jersey is what it is because of NYC. Thats the engine that largely supports the state.

by Anonymousreply 373March 15, 2021 3:01 PM

Now that you are working at home in NJ instead of in an office in NYC, is NYC still getting its share of your wage taxes?

by Anonymousreply 374March 15, 2021 3:02 PM

As of right non-NY residents who are working from home still have to pay state income tax to New York r374.

However there is a case in front of the Supreme Court, New Hampshire versus Massachusetts, that is challenging this type of practice so we will see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 375March 15, 2021 7:51 PM

R358 thank you and if you do start such a thread, I will be watching. I have to go back to NY and MA this spring so it will be very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 376March 15, 2021 8:09 PM

R369 Be careful what you wish for. Broadway, Times Square , Hotels and restaurants need them more than ever. Broadway Theaters need full houses in order to make a profit.

by Anonymousreply 377March 15, 2021 9:54 PM

I'm not wishing for it. It's just been very pleasant to have the city to ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 378March 15, 2021 10:08 PM

Tourists have a way of making the homeless disappear.

by Anonymousreply 379March 15, 2021 10:25 PM

R354 How utterly bizarre that you went to the beach on a very windy and cold day in March when the sand must have been kicking up a storm. There's something fishy about your story and you never told me what beach you visited but you did answer with a song and dance routine from Pippin. And I'm sorry if I offended you by the slice comment but, certainly you ate it by the slice even if as you informed me this unspecified place does not sell it by the slice. Sounds gloriously exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 380March 15, 2021 10:40 PM

FNY is a pill.

by Anonymousreply 381March 15, 2021 10:44 PM

Light at the end of the tunnel. NY subway ridership hit a pandemic high of 1.9 million riders on March 12th. That's less than the pre pandemic daily average of 5 million. NY is crawling if not bouncing back.

by Anonymousreply 382March 16, 2021 11:59 AM

Man Captured on Video Firing Random Shots into Queens Apartment Building (ABC March 15)

Two People Shot While Waiting in Line at Brooklyn Restaurant (NBC March 15)

18 Year Old Woman Struck by Brute in Unprovoked NYC Attack NY Post March 15)

12 Year Old Slashed in Face During Queens Fight (NY Post March 15)

25 Year Old College Student Slashed Across Hand While Walking Home in Brooklyn (NY Post March 15)

by Anonymousreply 383March 16, 2021 7:43 PM

R355 I did share actual information and it was about NY which is the topic of the thread and as crime rises rapidly and De Blasio has no plan to do anything about it. NYC which relies on the 60 billion dollars a year from tourism and unless the crime stats drop tourists will be reluctant to return. If you want to find out what's going on in the city check out NY Metro is a better source than DL

by Anonymousreply 384March 17, 2021 2:09 AM

R266 Why concern yourself with Leslie Van Houton's parole? You posted 18 diatribes about someone you never met and who never harmed you?

by Anonymousreply 385March 17, 2021 4:07 AM

R369 Does the "we" include Broadway actors, landlords, waiters, vendors, small business owners, cab drivers . . .

by Anonymousreply 386March 17, 2021 6:52 AM

R32 Look at the DL posts on Fran Lebowitz and Leslie Van Houton. Media and information abound people can make judgements on places they've never been and people they've never known! You don't have to live in New York to know Lurch is incompetent. He spent more time protecting the BLM mural in front of tRUMP Tower instead of controlling the summer protests and ensuing looting and destruction and now with NYC crime soaring he's focused on Cuomo's need to resign. Distance doesn't make the heart grow fonder in this case.

by Anonymousreply 387March 17, 2021 7:04 AM

R33 NY and DeBlasio and Cuomo are constantly in the news and New Yorkers and non New Yorkers all have access to the same information

by Anonymousreply 388March 17, 2021 7:13 AM

All major cities are struggling. I have homes in DC and New York and both need to figure out what to do with commercial space that will remain empty.

by Anonymousreply 389March 17, 2021 12:04 PM

R389 In the Bloomberg's 3 terms as mayor every space including parking lots and gas stations were built on and steel and glass skyscrapers were everywhere zoning would allow and the Hudson Yards a large and ambitious project with rental, retail and performing arts theaters was recently completed. Commercial space is just a drop in the bucket. Office space and apartments are overwhelmingly empty as crime soars and the Mayor issues no plan to deal with it. Ridership is on subways and busses is just hit a pandemic high but it is still less than have of the daily average pre pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 390March 17, 2021 3:41 PM

NYC Mayor calls events in Atlanta GA 'domestic terrorism" What about the transit terrorism Mr. De Blasio? A woman's body apparently run over by a NYC subway was found on the tracks yesterday! I don't think she got there on her own accord. Subway crime has become a daily event.

by Anonymousreply 391March 17, 2021 5:31 PM

R9 R10 R11 R13 R15 R22 R40 R41 R43 R44 don't type like Miss Yorkville R74

by Anonymousreply 392March 17, 2021 9:33 PM

Happy Saint Paddy's Day!

March 17, 2021 NO LUCK FOR THE MTA

Woman Dies after Falling onto Brooklyn Subway Tracks NY ABC News

Woman Shoved onto Subway Tracks in Queens 1010 WINS

MTA Bus Driver Father of Five Killed in Brooklyn Hit n Run Daily News

by Anonymousreply 393March 18, 2021 4:23 AM

R290 What do you mean people are miserable everywhere? NY is experiencing a surge in crime and facing economic disaster. Other places don't depend on tourism and don't feel that we are going to be shot, sliced, punched, push or be a victim of a hit n run as we go about living our lives. We are very happy thank you. And how can you judge what's going on in places you've never been or visited?

by Anonymousreply 394March 18, 2021 7:10 AM

Samurai Sword Swinging Man Wrestles with Cops on Upper East Side 3.17.21 NY Post

Woman Raped By Man She Hailed for a Ride Home in Brooklyn 3.18.21 NY Post

20 Year Old Woman Fatally Shot in Head in the Bronx 3.18.21 ABC

Teens Rob Men of Citi Bikes in Central Park 3.18.21 NY Daily News

Only in NY kids only in NY

by Anonymousreply 395March 19, 2021 12:18 AM

^ Rob Men at Knifepoint

by Anonymousreply 396March 19, 2021 12:24 AM

Group Beat14 Year Old Boy in Manhattan Stab Man Who Tries to Intervene 3.18.21 1010WINS

It's NY kids!

by Anonymousreply 397March 19, 2021 2:30 AM

Lol, R393, "No luck"

by Anonymousreply 398March 19, 2021 3:13 AM

R146 Types angry and defensive. NY can do that to people.

by Anonymousreply 399March 19, 2021 3:42 AM

R341 Wow! On a cold March day with high winds the water must have been freezing! Even with wet suits I can't imagine the surfers being hot. Maybe they were members of the Polar Bears. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 400March 19, 2021 4:52 AM

No. Even before the pandemic it was getting out of hand. I live in Brooklyn and the crime rate is up here too. De Blasio and Cuomo suck, but I fear who’ll come next. The fact the De blasio even got re-elected was mind boggling to me. The world is crazy right now, so it wouldn’t surprise me if we get even worse elected officials. I have a house with rental units I was going to hang onto, but now I’m thinking of selling it while I can still get a decent price. NY will probably bounce back but I would personally rather live outside of the lunacy that we will forced to live under.

by Anonymousreply 401March 19, 2021 5:45 AM

R341 No pity I'm sure I'll get to watch hot surfers in the summer when they aren't wearing wet suits. I find it bizarre that you seem to think the ocean and surfers can only be seen in NY.

by Anonymousreply 402March 19, 2021 7:14 AM

THE LATEST 3.19.21

NYC MAN BLUDGEONS ELDERLY NEIGHBOR TO DEATH IN DISPUTE OVER NOISE NY Post It's the city that never sleeps; it's too noisy

5 NYC SCHOOLS SENT SUSPICIOUS PACKAGES WITH WHITE POWDERY SUBSTANCE 1010 WINS Somebody doesn't want schools to reopen

MAN KNIFES STRAPHANGER ON NO. 4 TRAIN IN DOWNTOWN BROOKLYN On a happier note the subways have never been cleaner

by Anonymousreply 403March 19, 2021 2:32 PM

For the curious:

brandonjoseph, Ronald McDonald,, Cindy Adams, Dade County Here,. Jealous in Jersey, and sugar coated pill are all the same person, and with r402, he has posted at least 104 times - more than 25% of the thread.

22 of the last 25 posts are his.

Let's just let him talk to himself from now on, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 404March 19, 2021 3:21 PM

R404 All of New York hears you!

by Anonymousreply 405March 19, 2021 4:47 PM

R404 Cuomo is calling for an investigation!

by Anonymousreply 406March 19, 2021 4:53 PM

R404 We are deeply concerned!

by Anonymousreply 407March 19, 2021 4:54 PM

R404 Life's a beach!

by Anonymousreply 408March 19, 2021 4:55 PM

Yes I blocked him and it keeps showing updates on this thread but I can't see any of them because he's talking to himself. Like right now it says the thread has 4 new replies (408 total) but I can't see anything from r404 on. So he has posted 4 times in a row.

WTF for real.

by Anonymousreply 409March 19, 2021 8:35 PM

409 Stick to walking about Yorkville and checking out available rentals and what's going on in your bland neighborhood and try not to tear up if you come across a band playing classical music in front of an empty storefront. Spend more time with your husband and don't bother announcing to an unconcerned world that your are blocking me again.

You type Mayberry RFD

by Anonymousreply 410March 19, 2021 9:40 PM

THE LATEST: ONLY IN NEW YORK 3.19.21

TEMPERS FLARE IN A NY MINUTE AS MTA BUS DRIVER GETS INTO STANDOFF WITH OTHER BUS DRIVER THAT REFUSED TO MOVE ABC 7

NYC WOMAN SUES CHELSEA LANDLORD AFTER STRANER SEXUALLY ASSAULTS HER IN HER APARTMENT NY Post

COPS LOOKING FOR TEEN SUSPECT IN SHOOTING OF HARLEM WOMAN, FIANCE NY Post

DEBLASIO ACCUSSES CUOMO OF RISKING LIVES TO BOOST POPULARITY NY Post

by Anonymousreply 411March 19, 2021 10:05 PM

HOMELESS MAN CHARGED IN FATAL QUEENS STABBING OF FELLOW SHELTER RESIDENT CBS News

71 YEAR OLD MAN BEATEN TO DEATH NEIGHBOR IN CUSTODY CBS NEWS

MAN STABBED MULTIPLE TIMES IN UNPROVOKED ATTCK ON BROOKLYN SUBWAY WCBS Radio

QUEENS MAN FOUND DEAD ON SIDEWALK VIDEO OF MAN USING HIS CREDIT CARDS IN BROOKLYN STORE NYPost

Well NY never was the city of brotherly love!

by Anonymousreply 412March 20, 2021 3:22 AM

Latest from The city that never sweeps! 3.20.21

2 PEOPLE SHOT IN SEPARATE INCIDENTS IN BROOKLYN NY Daily News Year to date: 1,469 shooting incidents 1,791 victims

MAN, WOMAN FATALLY STRUCK BY SEPARATE NYC SUBWAY TRAINS NY Post

MAN SLASHED AFTER DISPUTE IN NYC SUBWAY STATION NY Post

2 MORE SUSPICIOUS LETTERS SENT TO NYC SCHOOLS ABC News

BAWL STREET:TOP NU COMPANIES MULLING MASS EXODUS OVER TAX HIKE Wall Street Journal

by Anonymousreply 413March 20, 2021 6:32 PM

Lovely sunny day in Hell's Kitchen with people shopping and strolling and masked.

by Anonymousreply 414March 20, 2021 6:49 PM

R414 Same here except no need to worry about being punched, shot, sliced, pushed or killed in a hit n run .

Sounds enthralling. Thanks for the update.

by Anonymousreply 415March 20, 2021 7:00 PM

^^^As of r415, 113 posts are FNY, brandon joseph Ronald McDonald, Cindy Adams Dade County Here. Jealous in Jersey, sugar coated pill...and now a NEW alias, Philadelphia.

30 of the last 38 posts are his.

by Anonymousreply 416March 20, 2021 7:10 PM

R416 Why aren't you out enjoying the wonderful day you described? And if you are out, aren't there more interested things to do and see in the city that never sweeps?

You type frustrated frau.

by Anonymousreply 417March 20, 2021 7:14 PM

More March Madness 3.20.21 Spring Edition

ONE ARRESTED I N STABBING OF TEEN ON D TRAIN NY Post

HOMELESS MAN CRASHES STOLEN VAN INTO SCAFFOLDING IN MIDTOWN 2 INJURED BY DEBRIS NY Post

BRAZIL COVID VARIANT DETECTED IN NY RESIDENT FOR FIRST TIME CNBC

20 TOP FINANCE AND TECH FIRMS ON VERGE OF MOVING TO FLORIDA* Daily Mail

*McDonalds will never leave NY and is hiring!

by Anonymousreply 418March 21, 2021 4:23 AM

from The city that never sweeps: 3.21.21

DISGUSTED, ANGERED, FED UP NEW YORKERS RALLY TO SUPPORT ASIAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY ABC

BIGOTED BRUTE HURLS SLURS PUNCHES ASIAN MAN IN LOW EAST SIDE HATE CRIME AMNY

GOOD SAMARITAN ATTACKED TRYING TO STOP TEENS FROM HARASSING ASIAN AMERICAN LAUNDROMAT OWNER IN BROOKLYN ABC 7

1 step forward 2 steps back; NY in a nutshell.

by Anonymousreply 419March 21, 2021 5:37 AM

beautiful spring day in NYC. i'm going to the met this afternoon and then to the park. here's to bouncing back!

hugs to my fellow new yorkers xo

by Anonymousreply 420March 21, 2021 4:12 PM

Enjoy, r420. Ten outdoor spaces are opening at Lincoln Center April 7th. Performance spaces, reading spaces, blood drives, health services and much more.

Prospect Park is lovely today, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421March 21, 2021 6:02 PM

66 YEAR OLD ASIAN MAN ASSAULTED IN CHINATOWN EARLY THIS MORNING IN 14TH UNPROVOKED ATTACK ABC

It takes nothing to provoke New Yorkers nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 422March 21, 2021 6:32 PM

68 YEAR OLD MAN PUNCHED IN HEAD ON NO. 1 TRAIN IN UNPROVOKED SUBWAY ATTACK 1010 WINS

NY is punching if not bouncing back

by Anonymousreply 423March 21, 2021 7:30 PM

R420 R421 Sounds like an exciting day in Mayberry! Enjoy Aunt Bea! Enjoy Opie!

by Anonymousreply 424March 21, 2021 8:48 PM

MAN DRAGGED DOWN QUEENS STREET AS THIEF ESCAPES WITH E-BIKE 1010 WINS

Life in the Big Apple can be a drag sometimes!

by Anonymousreply 425March 21, 2021 8:58 PM

Lincoln Center is Launching 10 Outdoor Spaces starting April 7. No specific performances or occupants yet. Reminds me of NASA launching the Challenger. And Broadway is coming back April 5

SURE JAN

by Anonymousreply 426March 22, 2021 5:44 AM

Weekend Update: Only in NY Kids

WOMAN ATTACKED IN NOHO ON WAY TO ANTI-ASIAN RALLY NY Post

MAN DIES AFTER BEING SHOT IN THE NECK ON BROOKLYN STREET NY Post

MAN ATTEMPTS TO KIDNAP 8-YEAR OLD BOY IN BRONX SUBWAY STATION NY Post

MANIAC BUSTED FOR SLASHING 3 STRAPHANGERS ON SUBWAY NY Post

SUSPECT BASHED ASIAN WOMAN WITH PIPE DURING LES ATTACK NY Post

MAN HIT BY STRAY BULLET ON MIDTOWN NYC STREET NY Post

FORMER HEAD OF THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION WARNS OF POTENTIAL NYC OUTBREAK FUELED BY NEW VIRUS VARIANT CBS News

UBER PASSENGER PULLS KNIFE AND GUN ON DRIVER AFTER REFUSING TO WEAR MASK ROBS DRIVER IN MIDTOWN ABC

by Anonymousreply 427March 22, 2021 4:54 PM

A dark cloud hangs over NYC even on a sunny day!

by Anonymousreply 428March 22, 2021 5:25 PM

Hey guys!

NYC here.

I just bounced back.

Thanks for all your questions & concerns. But now it’s back to the grind. I had a nice out of pocket experience, though.

Hope to see you soon.

by Anonymousreply 429March 22, 2021 5:32 PM

I am sort of confused about why someone who doesn’t live in NYC is so concerned with tearing it down.

It’s a big city with lots of people so the problems are magnified but I think most places are seeing a rise in crime and a lot of closed businesses/vacant office and retail space. No?

It will take more than a pandemic to “end” NYC.

by Anonymousreply 430March 22, 2021 5:36 PM

R430 Said the troll who thought the Titanic was unsinkable! Rising crime, inept leadership, loss of tourism and tech and finance companies leaving are NYs iceberg. Enjoy your day and don't furrow your pretty brow with concern over me.

by Anonymousreply 431March 22, 2021 5:44 PM

I just spent a few weeks in Florida. Yes the weather was great BUT it's much more fun to be back in NYC. I think NYC will be ok .If not, the people who will be affected on the ones who live here. I'm not sure why others care so much.

by Anonymousreply 432March 22, 2021 6:14 PM

"I'm not sure why others care so much."

Really, only one person with many names. The rest of us really couldn't give a shit about NYC.

by Anonymousreply 433March 22, 2021 6:18 PM

R432 R433 and why do you care why people care? People concern themselves with "The Sting". Armie Hammer, Megan Markle, Jon Hamm's liquor habits, Hilaria Baldwin, chest sizes, dick sizes, . . .the answer is simple: because they can Blanche they can! This is DL not the NY Times.

by Anonymousreply 434March 22, 2021 6:30 PM

MAN SLASHED DURING FIGHT ABOARD MANAHATTAN SUBWAY NY POST

MAN ARRESTED AFTER ATTACKING ASIAN AMEICAN WOMAN LEAVING ANTI-VIOLENCE RALLY WITH DAUGHTER ABC

In other news water is wet.

by Anonymousreply 435March 23, 2021 1:02 AM

Daily Mail 3.22.21 Yellow Peril

MAN URINATES ON ASIAN WOMAN INSIDE NYC SUBWAY AND OTHER PASSENGERS DO NOTHING TO HELP

by Anonymousreply 436March 23, 2021 1:29 AM

^ I think the man was confused and thought it was the No. 1 Train

by Anonymousreply 437March 23, 2021 2:27 AM

"the rest of us really couldn't give a shit about NY" well put R433

by Anonymousreply 438March 23, 2021 2:35 AM

R420 R421R429 R430 I take it you're not Asian.

by Anonymousreply 439March 23, 2021 9:41 PM

3.23.21 From the city that never sweeps

ASIAN MAN PUNCED BY STRANGER WITH BRASS KNUCKLES IN NYC ATTACK NY Post

ASIAN AMERICAN MAN'S PHONE SLAPPED OUT OF HAND IN QUEENS ABC News

MAN FATALLY STABBED ON BROOKLYN SIDEWALK IN BROAD DAYLIGHT MONDAY 1010 WINS

MANHATTAN SUBWAY 'SHOVINGS' ON PACE TO MORE THAN DOUBLE IN 2021* ABC NEWS

*Does that include subway assaults and slashings and being pissed on?

by Anonymousreply 440March 23, 2021 9:53 PM

DeBlasio wants to give out reparations to anyone with black DNA at a time when the city's budget is shot to hell. This sounds like a wonderful ultra liberal Jerk off fantasy for him, but unlikely to happen.

by Anonymousreply 441March 23, 2021 10:12 PM

R441 In related news"

CEOs WARN NY TAX HIKES COULD DERAIL BIG APPLE RECOVERY AP

PALM BEACH AND MIAMI GET READY TO FEED INCOMING WALL STREET ANALYSTS Bloomberg News NY restaurants have been relocating to Florida and are ready for the influx of tech and finance companies leaving NY.

De Blasio gets everything backwards and has the worst timing.

by Anonymousreply 442March 23, 2021 10:40 PM

I can’t speak for the entire city, but we are doing okay in Harlem. A few small businesses in my area didn’t make it, sadly. It has not, however, been as bad as I anticipated. My building has started a message board for small businesses really feeling the pinch. Supporting them. Buying local. Outdoors people are masked. Friendly.

Speaking of friendly, thanks to whomever posted the ignore tip. Very helpful.

by Anonymousreply 443March 23, 2021 10:53 PM

You're welcome, r443.

Shakespeare in the Park is coming back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444March 23, 2021 10:56 PM

R443 You don't type Asian!

by Anonymousreply 445March 23, 2021 11:03 PM

3. 23.21 NYC UPDATE Little Miss Mary Sunshine edition

GUNMEN OPEN FIRE ON BRONX PLAYGROUND CBS News

MAN FIRES GUN INTO LOBBY OF BROOKLYN BUILDING WCBS Radio

TWO MORE ASIAN NEW YORKERS REPORT RACIST HARASSMENT NY Daily News

UNHINGED WOMAN SETS HERSELF ON FIRE ON MANHATTAN STREET, CRITICALLY INJURED NY Daily News

TRASH CAN EXPLODES IN TIMES SQUARE SUBWAY STATION Eyewitness News

COVID RATES RISING ACROSS THE STATE, NYC STILL GRAPPLING WITH CONTAGIOUS VARIANTS NY Post

by Anonymousreply 446March 23, 2021 11:27 PM

R446 OH MY GOD, I hope DeBlasio is calling all city social workers to respond to these 911 calls. The city has never felt more unsafe than this past year. Nobody with a brain travels on the subway unless they really need to. DeBlasio has done more to upend NYC than any previous mayor. It will be nice to see a change in leadership next year.

by Anonymousreply 447March 24, 2021 12:36 AM

Of course Merry Wives will be set in Harlem.

by Anonymousreply 448March 24, 2021 1:12 AM

R447 We'll he wanted to defund the police last year. As I said before his timing like everything about him sucks!

by Anonymousreply 449March 24, 2021 1:45 AM

ANTI-MASK SHOPPER SPEWS N-WORD FILLED RACIST TIRADE AT MANHATTAN BAGEL SHOP 1010WINS

NYC is beginning to sound like KLan territory. Where did all the liberals go?

by Anonymousreply 450March 24, 2021 2:17 AM

March 24, 2021

BIZ LEADERS VOTE WITH THEIR FEET: 7 BILLION IN NEW TAX HIKES WILL TRIGGER WORST EXODUS SINCE THE BIG APPLE FLIRTED WITH BANKRUPTCY IN THE 1970s NY Post

MAN MAKES ANTI-AISIAN REMARKS, SMASHES WOMAN'S PHONE IN QUEEN SUBWAY WCBS Radio

MAN FATALLY SHOT NEAR QUEENS HOUSING PROJECT DAYS AFTER WOMAN WAS KILLED IN CROSSFIRE 1010 WINS

GUNMAN OPENS FIRE ON BRONX STREET WOUNDING ONE Daily News

SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK RETURNING TO NYC Ladies Home Journal

by Anonymousreply 451March 24, 2021 5:21 PM

March 25, 2021 ONLY IN NY!

ASIAN MAN PUNCHED IN UNPROVOKED ATTACK NEAR PENN STATION NY Post

ASIAN-AMERICAN CITY COUNCIL CANDIDATE SUSAN LEE PUSHED DOWN SUBWAY STAIRS ABC News

HOMELESS MAN PUSHES, HURLS ANTI-ASIAN SLUR AT GOOD SAMARITAN COPS SAY WINS Radio NY

ATTACKER HITS WOMAN 62 WITH BOX CUTTER HANDLE AFTER DISPUTE OVER GRAFFITI NY Post

MAN, 64, ARRESTED FOR RACIST GRAFFITI ON POLITICAL ADS IN STATEN ISLAND WINS Radio NY

SERIAL THIEF ARRESTED FOR BASHING NYC ICE CREAM SHOPS WORKER'S HEAD WITH ROCK Daily News

MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER AFTER WOMAN, 26, FOUND DEAD IN MIDTOWN HOTEL 1010 WINS

NY POSTEL WORKER USED STOLEN CREDIT CARD FOR BREAST LIFT AP

Just keeping a breast with the latest news! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 452March 25, 2021 8:19 PM

R28 Sure Jan! Sure Jan! Sure Jan!

by Anonymousreply 453March 25, 2021 11:35 PM

March 26, 2021 Latest news from the Rotting Apple

MYSTERY SUROUNDS DEATHS OF 2 PEOPLE FOUND ROTTING INSIDE QUEENS APARTMENT AMNY ONE OF CUOMO'S ACCUSSERS COMPARES EMBRACE FROM HIM TO JABBA THE HUT NY Post MAN, 42, STRUCK WITH A CAN OF FOOD IN BROOKLYN ROBBERY WINS Radio 'PROBLEMATIC' HOMELESS HOTELS COSTING NYC TAXPAYERS MILLIONS ABC New York NEW VARIANT DRIVES UP NY CORONAVIRUS CASES CNBC MAN SHOT AND KILLED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT ON L.I. NY Post MAN KILLED BY SUBWAY TRAIN AT COLUMBUS CIRCLE Patch 3RD SHOOTING AT NY HOUSING COMPLEX PLAGUED BY RECENT VIOLENCE: RESIDENTS 'WE'VE SEEN THESE STREETS TURNED INTO WAR ZONES' CBS THERE'S A SALE AT JC PENNY'S! Herald Square News

by Anonymousreply 454March 26, 2021 5:29 AM

Wow - it is overwhelming to see the city kick alive after a year of enforced slumber. I guessed it would happen - but the younger crowd is bursting out to party and socialize. The energy and mania is palpable. I am surprised at how it’s almost homogeneously young people - under 35s - presumably because they stayed I t he city and didn’t have the luxury of a second home. They have been cooped up for a year and they are ready to party.

The younger crowds may also be the result of the flood of younger renters who found deals in the Village during the downturn. There are definitely domestic tourists too. Never thought I’d be glad to see them - but it’s actually nice to see someone appreciate the city for the first time. It feels like Spring on steroids here.

by Anonymousreply 455March 26, 2021 4:50 PM

I was in the village Tuesday and didn't notice a plethora of young people it was a beautiful day and there were fewer people around than usual in Washington Square Park and around NYU. I noticed more homeless on 6th Avenue and more cyclists on the street probably due to less vehicular traffic. Fewer people than usual around 14th and 9th which is usually very busy.

by Anonymousreply 456March 26, 2021 5:20 PM

Latest New York Trends Continue As Inmates Take Over The Asylum:

FOUR MEN WOUNDED IN TWO SHOOTINGS ACROSS NYC NY Post 3/26/21

THREE BROOKLYN SHOOTINGS LEAVE MAN DEAD, TWO OTHERS INJURED AMNY 3/27/21

TWO MEN ROB BRONX LAUNDROMAT PISTOL WHIP WORKER IN HEAD ABC 3/26/21

6 INJURED AFTER CAR JUMPS CURB IN BROOKLYN NY Post 3/26/21

MAN STABBED BY STRANGER ON NYC SUBWAY PLATFORM NY Post 3/27/21

PROTESTORS BREAK BARRIER AT VILLAGE RESTAURANT'S OUTDOOR AREA ABC 3/26/21

NYPD LOOKING FOR MAN WITH STROLLER ACCUSED OF THREATENING ASIAN WOMAN IN MIDTOWN CBS 3/27/21 . BROOKLYN JUDGE FREES TEEN WITH 5 OPEN GUN CASES INCLUDING ARMED ROBBERY ABC 3/26/27

by Anonymousreply 457March 27, 2021 3:26 PM

Weekend update: Crime on steroids!

Man Dies after Broad-Daylight Stabbing in Upper Manhattan ABC 7

Teen Stabbed to Death in Washington Heights ABC 7

Man Parked in Car, Ambushed Shot Dead in NYC NY Post

Brute Beats, Attempts to Rape Woman in Stairwell in Brooklyn Building NY Post

Man Slashes Store Employee Across the Face in 'Big Apple' Boutique ABC News

Man Makes Anti-Asian Statement, Assaults Woman Inside Subway Walkway NY Post

Off Duty NY Firefighter in Deadly Queens Bar Brawl 1010 WINS

by Anonymousreply 458March 28, 2021 8:55 PM

NEW YORK IS DEAD TO ME! Filled with crazies and citizens who won't get involved.

A 65 year old Asian women was brutally beaten in Hell's Kitchen on 43rd and Ninth Ave as a security guard watched and did nothing to help and closed the door as the woman lay injured on the ground. A NYPD convicted cop killer is sitting on an upstate NY police reform panel. You can't make this shit up! A uniformed, on-duty female cop was molested in NYC subway station. The inmates have taken over! Gov Cuomo threatened nursing home reps during vaccine call. The inmates are running the show! First hotel to open on Roosevelt Island has an infamous lunatic asylum history. Perfect emblem of NY. A man plunge to his death from a NYC high rise in Tudor City. Well, that's one way to escape New York! An Asian man was beaten unconscious by stranger on subway train as other passengers watched and filmed.

by Anonymousreply 459March 30, 2021 5:53 AM

How could you doubt that New York won't bounce back? It's charming citizens will assure its inevitability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460April 3, 2021 2:25 PM

Went into city yesterday. It was FUCKING COLD. I saw a huge line outside a Nike store. Why? No idea.

by Anonymousreply 461April 3, 2021 4:20 PM

Also saw lots of moving vans delivering to apartment buildings. People are moving in.

by Anonymousreply 462April 3, 2021 4:24 PM

R460 Whenever I went to NY in the last several years I was fearful I was going to be hit by a car or bike. No one pays attention to traffic lights or pedestrians and cyclists don't pay attention to the directional arrows in the bike lanes though most don't use the bike lanes. The rule seems to be don't ever stop. And the noise from non stop horn honking is insane.

by Anonymousreply 463April 3, 2021 5:47 PM

NY POST April 5, 2021 New York's bouncing back like an Easter egg!

Six men wounded in possible gang-related Queens stabbing spree

Four men wounded in chaotic NYC knife attack

Bronx shooting leaves one man dead, another critically injured

75-year old woman punched, knocked to the ground in random attack

Elderly Asian man punched in unprovoked Bronx attack

NYC ambulance crash leaves 9 injured, one critically

by Anonymousreply 464April 5, 2021 4:29 PM

I'm planning an NYC weekend in June, any predictions on whether it will be livelier? Looking at a downtown/LES stay. I'll be fully vaccinated by then.

by Anonymousreply 465April 7, 2021 1:16 PM

It’s already livelier. And the ability to be outside by June will ensure it is even more lively. Add the vaccine and the return of (domestic) tourists and NYC is likely to have a booming summer. My only question is whether they allow people to sit at the bar again. Now, 50% of the bars are open by serving food and isolating people at their own table.

by Anonymousreply 466April 7, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote] Whenever I went to NY in the last several years I was fearful I was going to be hit by a car or bike.

This us hilarious! This MARY! obviously never set foot in NYC when yellow cabs ruled the streets. They’d risk your neck for a dollar.

I miss yellow cabs. I’d walk outside my building stick out my arm & 3 cabs would come screeching to a halt next to me. No need to look at a screen & punch icons.

by Anonymousreply 467April 7, 2021 3:58 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468April 8, 2021 12:23 AM

R467 NY's going to hell in a handbag, Mary and yellow cabs aren't the only problem!

NY Post 4.7.21

Not in Kansas anymore: Tourist shot after getting caught in NYC fight.

Brooklyn man busted in two separate anti-Asian attacks

2 Fatally shot on grounds of NYCHA buildings

Cops bust man who attacked 7-Eleven worker, called him Chinese 'motherf---er'

Suspect busted in brutal mugging of homeless man in NYC subway station

NYPD officer's car torched in Coney Island

Double Shooting injures man, woman in Brooklyn ABC 7

Doormen Fired after failing to intervene in vicious attack on Asian woman ABC 7

Asian woman grabbed, hair pulled in random NYC attack

NYPD hate crimes division fears Asian attacks are the new normal ABC 7

Two people shot, 1 killed in drive by shooting in the Bronx ABC 7

by Anonymousreply 469April 8, 2021 5:12 AM

R468 NY Post April 7, 2021 See No Evil

DEBLASIO DOWNPLAYS NYC SAFETY WOES AMID SPATE OF VIOLENCE For the first 3 months of the year, shootings are up 57% compared to last year and NYC recorded double the number of shootings in March 2021 as the year before..

by Anonymousreply 470April 8, 2021 6:12 AM

R465 Livelier than the wild wild west I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 471April 8, 2021 4:59 PM

Lol - the crime obsessive here reminds me of my 85 year old mother who watches the news and is terrified of the city. Murders, rapes, robberies everywhere! If you even enter the city, you will be killed.

by Anonymousreply 472April 8, 2021 6:05 PM

Just what the news says and that certainly speaks to will NYC bounce back? The rest is conjecture on your part. And based on stats and news random, unprovoked attacks and attacks on Asians do seem to be happening in all areas of the city with greater frequency.

by Anonymousreply 473April 8, 2021 6:18 PM

R447 - have social workers respond to 911 calls re violent mentally ill?

You think elderly Jewish women are the solution to manage violent crime?

Bring the National Guard to the city.

by Anonymousreply 474April 8, 2021 7:02 PM

Putin should run NYC for 6 months and do all he can do to bring it back. A limited hard line dictator is what the city needs. Nothing else will work at this time. DeBlasio is an utter ass wipe of a mayor. Let's hope is accolyte Maya Wiley does not win.

by Anonymousreply 475April 8, 2021 7:19 PM

"Police arrested a Brooklyn, New York, resident on assault and reckless endangerment charges after he allegedly struck a 7-Eleven worker in the face multiple times while making anti-Asian statements, according to the NYPD.

The alleged assault occurred at a 7-Eleven in midtown Manhattan early Saturday morning, police said.

Gregory Jacques, 33, was later arrested Wednesday morning and charged with assault, along with attempted assault and reckless endangerment, both in the second degree, the NYPD said in a statement."

Any word from New York's black leaders about the hate crimes?

by Anonymousreply 476April 8, 2021 7:30 PM

Another typical NY day via the NY Post 4.8.21

97-year old man killed after driver jumps curb in Brooklyn

Teen grazed in head in Bronx shooting

"Go back to your country!" Attacker slaps woman in face in Manhattan

If you're not Bruce Lee, then f---k off: Asian man elbowed in chest at NYC subway station in hateful attack

Video shows 2X4 wielding suspect threaten to cut Asian man in Brooklyn Home Depot

Video shows NYC Popeyes customers bashing man with "Wet Floor' sign.

Teacher finds machete stashed outside Brooklyn elementary school

Gun control won't solve all problems but more self control might!

by Anonymousreply 477April 8, 2021 8:17 PM

Thanks Bill DeBlasio. Your inept ways of handling the violent crimes surge in NYC is causing the nicest queens in all of NYC on DL to cat fight with each other over whether you are a corrupt snowflake or just a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 478April 9, 2021 12:38 AM

[quote]Lol - the crime obsessive here reminds me of my 85 year old mother who watches the news and is terrified of the city. Murders, rapes, robberies everywhere! If you even enter the city, you will be killed.

The "crime obsessive" is responsible for a whopping 150 posts on this thread, r472. He's not obsessed, he's a troll. He loved NYC in the 80s and 90s, and personally attacks anyone who has anything positive to say about. Lives in New Jersey. Longs for his youth. no doubt.

A hateful, unrelentingly ball of negativity. Ignore him and more than 25% of this thread vanishes.

by Anonymousreply 479April 9, 2021 6:59 AM

NYC will be around long after r469 is.

by Anonymousreply 480April 9, 2021 9:35 AM

[quote] The police are so demoralized that they are not doing their job and just stand back

Hahahahahaa!

by Anonymousreply 481April 9, 2021 10:07 AM

The last time I went into NYC was early December 2019, when I went in to see a show. I haven't been in since...obviously because of covid, but even without the pandemic, I wouldn't go in because of all the random crimes. Of course, as a big city, there is always crime and you have to be aware. I used to go in by myself, walk around...go into stores. museums...or see a Broadway show. I would be afraid now, with all the homeless and mentally ill on the streets. You're walking down the street and someone punches or beats you, or stabs you. If you're waiting for a subway, someone could push you onto the tracks. There was always danger, but not like it is today. DeBlasio is a disgrace. He's done a terrible job running the city. He's a blah, blah...talky mayor who is lazy. He loves to hear himself talk...and seems impressed with himself. He does little in the way of action for the city.

by Anonymousreply 482April 9, 2021 2:16 PM

If you ever come back to visit, try to find out where the homeless hotels are and avoid those areas. A few of them are on the west side, close to garment district. you will find that many of these senseless crimes are in those areas, people getting punched in the face for no reason etc...

I see that more tourists are returning...but things are still not the same.

crime is wayyy up. many stores are still empty.

by Anonymousreply 483April 9, 2021 2:40 PM

I will never say never...and will go in again, but not for a very long time. I remember, after stepping off the train in Penn Station, how the excitement hit me. There was always that buzz of excitement and movement. It was a rush.

by Anonymousreply 484April 9, 2021 3:03 PM

R478 Not a fan of DeBlasio but you can't blame him for DL being what it is!. Don't blame the over reactive queens on him but rather for what has happened to Queens! LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 485April 9, 2021 5:29 PM

R484 My memory of Penn Station is the smell of urine in the tunnel under the Garden and of people nearly being knocked over by those in a rush.

by Anonymousreply 486April 9, 2021 5:33 PM

R480 A profound thought and I suspect NYC or what's left of it will be around longer than everyone posting here on DL! And you should ignore those as you encourage others to do who turn you into a defensive raging Mary.

by Anonymousreply 487April 9, 2021 5:39 PM

R482 The woman who cuts my hair travels on the subway from Queens to Chelsea 4 days a week and said she's very apprehensive now of riding the subway and the subway cars are relatively empty compared to a year ago but many 'assholes' on the trains don't wear masks.

by Anonymousreply 488April 9, 2021 6:20 PM

WARNING: Easily triggered, raging Marys are advised not to read the following:

Friday April 9, 2021 NY Post

Caught in the crossfire: Terrified mom asks de Blasio 'What's being done?' about daylight shootings

2 Pedestrians fatally struck, 1 seriously hurt in Brooklyn and Manhattan

Three gunman open fire on Bronx street near small child

Arrest made in armed robberies at Bronx parking garages

NYPD bumps up reward for killer of twin babies in Bronx

COVID variants now account for 80% of new cases in NYC

Same suspect arrested in 3 hate crime attacks on Asian New Yorkers ABC 7

by Anonymousreply 489April 9, 2021 9:00 PM

Beautiful fall evening in Manhattan... Out and about on UES and UWS now here to say "yes", things have bounced back considerably since last summer.

Subways and buses were crowded late afternoon into rush hour. Streets on UES and UWS were packed with people and streets with vehicles. Being a Friday night restaurants with outdoor seating had full tables, and all of what is allowed indoor as well.

Have been seeing tons of young people (middle through high school aged) all over as well.

Of course with Broadway and performing arts still largely shut things aren't what they should be totally. Am seeing (and hearing) more international tourists too.

All this being said there are still huge numbers of companies that haven't remotely brought back even one-quarter of staff. This means mid-town and down-town are still largely empty other than tourists and people who live or otherwise have reasons to be down there.

City announced earlier this week beaches and pools will open on schedule, but imagine there might be some sort of social distancing mandate.

by Anonymousreply 490April 9, 2021 11:51 PM

4/10/21 New York, New York Don't let your guard down!

12-year=old boy shot in chest while walking on NYC street

NYPD seeking man who punched cop near Washington Square Park

Slain NYPD cop's kin seek to stop his killer's role in police reform?????????????????

Man threatens to stab undercover Asian officer in face

NYC man who randomly stabbed teen to death arrested

Team work: Video shows men on motorcycle snatch chain from women's neck in NYC

Unhinged stranger twice tries to shove Asian woman onto NYC subway track

NYC rat race is back: Complaints surge as COVID restrictions ease

Woman, kids held hostage in armed standoff at Long Island home

Sanitation worker killed by hit-and-run driver NYC

Driver arrested after Mercedes slams into scaffolding in Midtown

Neil Diamond bio-musical "A Beautiful Noise" headed to Broadway in 2022

by Anonymousreply 491April 11, 2021 7:31 PM

^ Grandmother of shot 12-year-old: It's 'kill or be killed now'

Welcome to the New, New York!

by Anonymousreply 492April 11, 2021 8:27 PM

Prescient films set in NY

The Tenth Victim 1965 Little Murders 1971 Escape from New York 1981

by Anonymousreply 493April 12, 2021 1:14 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494April 12, 2021 11:50 AM

Planning a June visit, sticking to EV/LES/Downtown, has anyone been to Sushi by M or Ernestos? Wondering if they are worth a visit?

by Anonymousreply 495April 12, 2021 12:40 PM

R495 Still planning and still on DL? Try NY Metro.com for tourist information and updates.

by Anonymousreply 496April 12, 2021 3:09 PM

Lowe East Side man to cops: 'I just murdered my brother' NY Post 4.11.21

Long Island cop in critical condition after being stabbed during traffic stop NY Post 4.11.21

Suspect in Richie Rich hoodie robs Bronx straphanger NY Post 4.11.21

NYPD seeking man who punched cop near Washington Square Park NY Post 4.11.21

NYC Transit Museum lays off a third of staff NY Post 4.11.21

Straphangers punched in the face in two separate incidents just hours apart NY Post 4.12.21

Woman struck, seriously injured in Midtown hit-and-run 6 a.m. Monday ABC 7 Eyewitness News

by Anonymousreply 497April 12, 2021 3:26 PM

NYC was far more dangerous in the 70s & 80s when you could see 3 mugging a day and none were reported in the media. Even if someone was killed during a mugging it didn’t guarantee any media coverage. Plus we had at least 3 different East Side Rapists when I lived there. I used to watch people steal cars from my living room window - nicely dressed men in suits carrying their tools in a Bloomingdales Little Brown Bag. They could steal a car so fast yiu didn’t realize what you saw until after it was over.

We had a meeting in our non-doorman building about robberies. They were so frequent I used to leave a $20 bill on the corner of my dining table every day. $20 was the equivalent of $50 today...nothing for a crackhead to sneeze at. My dining table was in view as soon as I cracked open my apt door. If I saw the $20 bill on the table, I knew I hadn’t been robbed and entered the apartment. If i had ever opened the door & didn’t see the bill my plan was to go to a pay phone & call police.

One morning we all had to step over a homeless guy in our building’s vestibule. He’d smashed the inner doorway into pieces and crawled in through the broken glass. Our super lived in another building on our block & had t arrived for work yet. Nobody attempted to move the homeless man or take a pulse. We’d be late for work. Transit worked so poorly you’d never know when a train would show up, so you moved as fast as you could to the subway station in the hopes of not getting there just as the train pulled out. Buses ... forget it. I took a bus to work exactly once. I was 45 minutes late for work. And I had figured on one hour for the bus ride. It was 1 hour and 45 minutes in dead-stopped traffic. And homeless people preferred the bus to the subway because of softer seats to sleep on.

My friend was sitting in her living room once and watched a guy lower himself on a rope from the roof of another building onto a fire escape & proceeded to break into an apartment. She called police and cops caught him. Next day the apartment occupants put a sign on their fire escape “Thank you, Maggie.”

NYC is a paradise compared to how it was. It’s hilarious to see the rightwing squawking to Flyiverstan that NYC is a burnt hull...that it’s teeming with murderers & thieves. It’s a full on Murdochian/Kochian blitz to portray NYC, home to the most millionaires in the US and the world’s richest financial center, as a blacked shell of a city.

Weep for us, Omaha!

by Anonymousreply 498April 12, 2021 5:19 PM

r498 what neighborhood did you live in? When I was a kid, I remember Times Sq in the 70s was super scary/sketchy, just like in all the made for TV Runaway movies. In the mid 80's it was still pretty f-ed up. LES was like a bombed out war zone.

by Anonymousreply 499April 12, 2021 5:32 PM

Who's likely to win the Dem primary for mayor in June?

by Anonymousreply 500April 12, 2021 5:34 PM

What R498 said. Back in the late 1970s NYC was the setting for The Warriors -- without having to do much to make it look horrifying. The city was scary. I lived on the Upper West Side then, when wilding had become popular -- wilding being a bunch of kids from Harlem coming down to the UWS and UES and basically jumping on a solitary walker and taking everything they could within moments, like locusts with sneakers.

It happened to me, once, in the upper 80s, where out of the blue six guys attacked me, basically stripped me of everything I had, even some of my clothes, and left my unconscious on the street. Someone called the cops and I ended up in the ER where, luckily, it turned out II wasn't hurt badly. The doctors in the ER told me they saw several people each night because of wilding.

NYC today? A delight. A total delight compared to 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 501April 12, 2021 5:48 PM

Yeah anyone who complains about crime today being out of control was clearly born or moved to NYC in the past 20-25 years.

by Anonymousreply 502April 12, 2021 5:56 PM

R 501 R502 So Asian-American New Yorkers, the tourist industry and other New Yorkers should feel better despite the 300% increase in crime from last year because it was allegedly worse 40-50 years ago? And most people living in NY now probably have been living there 20-30 years and are now watching what was a busy tourist mecca and one of the safest large cities in the US become the wild, wild west. Sorry but people, businesses and tourists will look elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 503April 13, 2021 3:46 AM

R498 R499 R501 R502 and this is why people left in the 70s and 60s

Asian man slammed by ranting man in broad daylight attack ABC 7 4.12.21

Teen playing with gun on NYC rooftop allegedly shoots pal NY Post 4.12.21

Family sues over death of war hero crushed in SoHo crane accident NY Post 4.12.21

NYC straphangers feel less safe than 6 months ago survey says NY Post 4.12.21

Cousin of murdered NYPD cop carjacked at c]gunpoint in NYC NY Post 4.12.21

Worker Punched near Brooklyn Vietnamese eatery in potential hate crime NY Post 4.12.

by Anonymousreply 504April 13, 2021 3:58 AM

R499 Good news those days are coming back. Unfortunately not everyone shares you sense of nostalgia Granny.

by Anonymousreply 505April 13, 2021 4:18 AM

R502 You sound like grandpa telling people if you think it's tough today in my day . . . you yungins' don't know how easy you have it!

by Anonymousreply 506April 13, 2021 4:20 AM

R501 I wonder if cab drivers, restaurant owners, landlords, hotel workers, street vendors, subway riders, Asian-Americans and Broadway actors share you rose-colored vision?

by Anonymousreply 507April 13, 2021 4:31 AM

I walked from Chinatown up towards union sq on broadway, at least 60% of stores are empty and tagged with graffiti. People were only going to chain stores like zara, nike and sephora.

I like to get Chinese takeout on the weekends, I take the subway down every other week and I've noticed more tourists, they were buying fake gucci bags etc and they sell them out in the open.

by Anonymousreply 508April 13, 2021 5:53 AM

Ford to City: Drop Dead NY Daily News October 29, 1975 No one running for New York Mayor seems to care about crime NY Post March 14, 2021

- Nostalgia sweeps NY as the 70s return

Girl weeks away from first birthday fatally shot in drive-by NY Post 4.13.21

Man Shot to death outside Bronx public housing project NY Post 4.13.21

Man pulls gun on victim inside a Lower Manhattan subway station NY Post 4.13.21

MTA survey suggests it's not just COVID keeping riders away from subway ABC 7

Pedestrian dies after pole struck by MTA bus falls on him NY Post 4.13.21

Man uses kids to burglarize NYC frozen yogurt shop ABC 7

Asian man sucker punched in a broad daylight attack on Upper East Side NY Post 4.13.21

by Anonymousreply 509April 13, 2021 5:44 PM

Thousands Fled Midtown, Hell's Kitchen In 2020, New Data Shows

'New York City, which was already shrinking before the pandemic, had the second-most net move-outs of any metro in the country in 2020, trailing only San Francisco' Nick Garber

by Anonymousreply 510April 13, 2021 6:26 PM

I cannot stand DeBlasio and blame him and his corrupt, pandering policies for most everything bad happening to the city. Even if he is not directly at fault, his policies are only making things far worse. A true leader is not DeBlasio.

He did manage to put more bike lanes in the city!

by Anonymousreply 511April 13, 2021 7:27 PM

R511 The bike lanes aren't used properly by cyclists in my experience in Manhattan. They don't yield to traffic signals, cars or pedestrians i.e. they refuse to stop for anyone or thing and they often use the street instead of the bike lanes anyway and often ignore the directional arrows in the bike lanes. Too many vehicles and pedestrians ignore traffic signals and wander into traffic without looking at anything but their phones! And Citi Bikes are a mixed blessing at best. And now UWS residents are flipping out over a 'brigade of lawless' all-terrain vehicles terrorizing their neighborhood. Illegal quad riders ignore the riles of the rode according to NY Post report dated 4.10.21 Take back the streets Mayor!

by Anonymousreply 512April 13, 2021 7:57 PM

not to mention, now motorized scooters are legal. Have you seen how fast they go? They are on the sidewalks, on the roads and I've seen so many dumb motherfuckers using them without helmets!

by Anonymousreply 513April 13, 2021 8:37 PM

NY Post and Daily Mail are right-leaning tabloids and rely on fear and controversy to sell since conservatives are fear-driven. Not to say there isn't crime but those 2 news sources are an embarrassment to journalism and I can't believe people are posting them here.

by Anonymousreply 514April 13, 2021 8:52 PM

Fran Lebowitz a life long , die hard New Yorker was incredulous about people thinking of the streets of Manhattan as a place to ride bikes and in the Netflix documentary Pretend It's a City there's a shot of her stepping into the crosswalk when a cyclist whizzes past her as she steps back. Fran also talked disparagingly about people walking around on their phones unaware of their surroundings. A few years ago I asked a neighbor who's a driver in NYC what he thought of Citi Bikes, 'hate em' was his terse response. He said he feels that he's more likely than ever to be involved in an accident. Di Blasio is the embarrassment who gets everything wrong.

by Anonymousreply 515April 13, 2021 9:19 PM

Ignore r512 (or FNY, Brandonjoseph or any of his half a dozen other alias'), and literally 170 posts in this thread vanish. ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY out of 515.

Whatever problems NYC faces - and there are many - this guy has more.

by Anonymousreply 516April 13, 2021 10:53 PM

R516 'Let's just let him talk to himself from now on, shall we?' 'Too bad that he didn't get to watch hot surfers in NYC today' 'Au contraire! I find you hilarious' 'I'm a giver'

You are hilarious and your attempts to get the other humorless trolls who are so easily offended to ignore me are pointless and suspect since you clearly haven't taken your own advice. And when people use aliases like 'Kim Bassinger' don't you realize they are being facetious? You type humorless despite your protestations and pretentions.

by Anonymousreply 517April 13, 2021 11:45 PM

I haven't addressed you directly for a long time, r517, you hatefully obsessed psychopath, and I don't care if anyone else ignores you or not.

Just letting others know they can use the "ignore" function to track your insanity. That you have posted171 posts out of 517 on a single thread is weirdly obsessive, especially considering that in those 171 posts that you haven't posted on anything else. I've posted 19 here.

It's creepy.

You've made it impossible to post anything positive about NYC on this thread, as you personally attack anyone who does, and post little but crime stats. You don't even bother with links.

I welcome anyone to "ignore" me long enough to see that I post in lots of threads here. Most of my posts are informative and positive. You are nothing but negative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518April 14, 2021 12:24 AM

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 519April 14, 2021 12:38 AM

You rang, r519?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520April 14, 2021 12:47 AM

Well since Miss Information has informed us that Shakespeare in the Park is returning here's an appropriate quote from Hamlet for R518 'the lady doth protest too much, methinks' and gets fucked too little methinks!

Don't feed a troll, feed your hole!

by Anonymousreply 521April 14, 2021 2:28 AM

Lincoln Center/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522April 14, 2021 3:50 AM

YOU GOTTA WORK! NYC

Cuomo extends NY bar and restaurant curfew to midnight ABC 7

Gunmen on bike kills woman working at NYC construction site ABC 7

Man shot in chest after argument in Bronx bodega ABC 7

Search for attacker who stabbed man in back in Bronx deli ABC 7

Thief armed with boxcutter robs 3 Queens grocery stores NY Post

Trio goes postal on USPS worker in Staten Island beatdown NY Post

Unhinged 'incel' busted for bomb threat at NYC restaurant NY Post

More NYC parents sue DOE for return to in-person classes NY Post

MTA quietly cutting bus service to skimp on overtime, union leader claims NY Post

NYPD mulls move to 12-hour shifts in anticipation of Chauvin trial protests NY Post

by Anonymousreply 523April 15, 2021 4:23 PM

Man with a AK-47 at Times Square subway station arrested ABC 7

Subway train stabbing leaves man in serious condition ABC 7

Search for attacker in fatal subway stabbing in East Harlem ABC 7

Group smashes their way into pharmacies in burglary pattern throughout Brooklyn, Queens ABC 7

Protestors block traffic, shut down Holland Tunnel over police shootings ABC 7

Suspect threatens woman with fist, anti-Asian slurs ABC 7

Woman 72, fatally struck by driver in Brooklyn NY Post

4 charged after woman's body found in trunk during Queens MS-13 probe NY Post

Shooting blanks: De Blasio doubles down on vague answers as gunplay surges in NYC NY Post

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

by Anonymousreply 524April 17, 2021 2:28 AM

CITY UNDER SIEGE 4.17.21

Medics under siege: Union chief says EMTs are under attack by anarchist thugs NY Post

Madman attacks cop with caustic chemical, hurls Molotov cocktail at other officers AMNY

NYC teacher cut loose after 2nd bust for attacks on cops at protest NY Post

Vandals smash NYPD cop car window while officers respond to 911 call NY Post

Man 21 slashed in Washington Square Park attack AMNY

New version of the dreaded 'knock-out' game emerging in NYC 1010 WINS

Police search for duo who violently robbed man on Queens street WCBS Radio

Woman shot at NYC hotel NY Post

by Anonymousreply 525April 18, 2021 12:41 AM

New York may not be bouncing back, but spring had sprung.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526April 18, 2021 6:24 AM

NY seems to have sprung backwards the real pandemic is crime now.

by Anonymousreply 527April 18, 2021 7:10 AM

City has bounced back in big ways. Restaurants and bars are trying to reopen but cannot find employees. Too many are just happy sitting home on their behinds collecting big unemployment checks rather than working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528April 18, 2021 8:01 AM

Few more things happening this spring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529April 18, 2021 8:15 AM

New York won't bounce until BROADWAY'S back baby!

by Anonymousreply 530April 18, 2021 8:25 AM

A small outdoor dance performance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531April 18, 2021 8:34 AM

R530 You're GodDAMNED right, BABY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532April 18, 2021 8:38 AM

R528 R530 And Karen Olivo isn't returning to Moulin Rouge.

by Anonymousreply 533April 18, 2021 8:44 AM

This thread is so depressing. What in the fuck happened to this country? In 2014, was there anyone who realized what trouble we were in?

Yes, the pandemic caused much damage, obviously. But before that Trump had us going to hell in a handbasket.

Is that that most of us were all blissfully unaware that between 2008 and 2016, our parents, and an entire segment of the population was being slowly but surely brainwashed by FoxNews? I was SHOCKED in 2016, and am still surprised by the idiotic things FoxNews viewers say.

I hate FoxNews, I hate Trump, I hate QAnon morons. But I do see massive problems in our cities. New York, Los Angeles, and worst of all, it seems to me San Francisco. What is the answer?

Are we just doomed to live out our days in a severely diminished America? That really depresses me. I always loved this country, and felt lucky to be here. But now I feel we're in terrible danger.

by Anonymousreply 534April 18, 2021 8:47 AM

Coney Island!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535April 18, 2021 8:48 AM

[quote]This thread is so depressing.

It's mostly depressing because one malcontent is unrelentingly posting negative stats, r534. Literally over 30% of the thread. Trump was a disaster. Covid was a horror. This too, will pass. Is passing.

It's easy to sink into despair when so much negativity is being flung at you. Turn off the tv, the social media. It's spring. Go out and enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536April 18, 2021 9:08 AM

And one frau who isn't getting fucked keeps posting instead of doing all the wonderful things she posts about is really depressing and what she posts reads Mayberry RFD and ironically another thing she doesn't do is take her own advice. She's fishier than the Baltimore Inner Harbor Seaquarium!

by Anonymousreply 537April 18, 2021 9:21 AM

"You need a busload of faith to get by"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538April 18, 2021 9:35 AM

Coney Island gearing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539April 18, 2021 9:41 AM

Coney Island Aquarium is open (but sold out today).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540April 18, 2021 10:02 AM

Central Park Zoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541April 18, 2021 10:05 AM

Brooklyn Bridge Park

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542April 18, 2021 10:17 AM

The Cloisters/Fort Tryon.

Beautiful museum with a medieval garden. Great view overlooking the Hudson and the George Washington Bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543April 18, 2021 10:22 AM

^ Tour guide for a city bereft of tourists.

by Anonymousreply 544April 18, 2021 7:06 PM

R534 Too easy and wrong to blame Trump, Fox News, QAnon for what has happened in NY, LA and San Francisco the 3 most expensive US cities with the highest tax rates have seen a pattern of increased migration from those cities by tech and finance companies and citizens for a number of years due to bad policy decisions and a tax the rich attitude as homelessness and crime increased and COVID created a tailspin especially on tourism and nowhere is that more the case than NYC with its 60 billion dollar a year tourist industry. It wasn't New Yorkers keeping Broadway, MSG, The Beacon, the Hudson Yards, hotels, restaurants, parking garages street vendors busy but commuters and tourists. Most New Yorkers probably haven't visited the Statue of Liberty, The Empire State Building or have seen Phantom of the Opera whose 30 plus year run is due to tourists.

by Anonymousreply 545April 18, 2021 9:43 PM

SMASHING WEEKEND IN NY

6 People Injured After SUV Smashes Into Manhattan Bodega ABC 7 Thieves Steal 70K Worth Of Designer Bags In Smash And Grab On Madison Avenue NY Post Man, 25, Shot Multiple Times In Bronx Apartment NY Post 'I Got Nothing To Lose': Anti-Asian Man Nearly Shoves Undercover Cop Off NYC Subway Platform ABC 7 'My Hands Are Tied': Judge Releases Man Charged With Attacking Asian Undercover Cop Released Without Bail NY Post Woman Wanted For Punching MTA Bus Driver CBS NEWS Bus Driver Calls For Help While Man Attacks MTA Bus ABC 7 Asian Man Slugged In Face In Lower Manhattan NY Post Search For Woman Who Stole Valuable Necklace Off 84-Year Old Asian Woman ABC 7 Teen With AK-47 In Times Square Subway Confused About NYC Gun Laws: Lawyer NY Post Two Teenagers Injured In Brooklyn Drive-By Shooting NY Post Teens Climb Fire Escape To Break Into Bronx Apartment, Stole Jewelry Cash CBS NEWS Man Caught Trespassing At Taylor Swift's Building In TriBeCa ABC 7 Neil Diamond Bio-Musical 'A Beautiful Noise' Headed To Broadway In Summer 2022! WABC NY

by Anonymousreply 546April 19, 2021 5:34 AM

I didn't expect this. The Village Voice returns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547April 20, 2021 11:44 AM

R534: Mary!

by Anonymousreply 548April 20, 2021 11:54 AM

Museums, zoos, and cinemas, oh my!

Incrementally increasing capacity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549April 20, 2021 12:00 PM

The city seems more crowded and feels more like itself. It’s still not like before Covid times.. That isn’t all bad though as NYC was overcrowded and lacked affordable housing. Things seem better in those areas now.

by Anonymousreply 550April 20, 2021 12:05 PM

[quote]The city seems more crowded and feels more like itself. It’s still not like before Covid times..

It's creeping back, r550. This city always adapts.

Map of Central Park blooms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551April 20, 2021 12:14 PM

New brewery and taproom opens in Williamsburg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552April 20, 2021 12:18 PM

Who's posting all these links to New York City tourist spots? We don't need this Sinclair Lewis style of boosterism. You don't want to come to New York? Fine...don't come!

by Anonymousreply 553April 20, 2021 12:22 PM

New market opening on the Lower East Side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554April 20, 2021 12:32 PM

After you visit the market, there's Shakespeare in the Parking Lot.

This friday and Sat. Free

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555April 20, 2021 12:36 PM

DeBlasio's city of high crime and low bail will be his most horrific legacy with MANY of the victims the same poor people he promised to help the most. How sad it is when the rights of criminals are prioritized over the rights of the law abiding citizens who pay this dork's salary.

by Anonymousreply 556April 20, 2021 12:39 PM

EATALY opens their rooftop garden in Flatiron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557April 20, 2021 12:39 PM

Metropolitan Museum of Art's Rooftop Garden has reopened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558April 20, 2021 12:45 PM

The Mermaid Parade in Coney Island returns this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559April 20, 2021 12:49 PM

I appreciate the attempts to squash the insane crime posting troll with the reality of what he chooses to ignore in his bitter, angry, obsessive cut and paste project.

I’m seeing lots of life and the first real sense that things can return to normal. The combination of being able to be outdoors and increased indoor capacity has shown me what a huge lent up demand for socializing there is - especially among young people. Nice to hear the sounds of drunken singing on the street at midnight again. Happier, energized and stronger feeling among those who made it through - and I have a lot more repsoext for my fellow NYers.

by Anonymousreply 560April 20, 2021 12:52 PM

Thanks for the kind words, r560.

Once this is full, I'll start another thread on NYS's return. Need a new name, though.

Who doesn't like books and pickles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561April 20, 2021 1:00 PM

New York Still In A Pickle - Mermaids Aside Things Aren't Going Swimmingly- Shaping Up To Be Another Summer of Sam w/o Sam

NYC shootings continue to skyrocket, NYPD stats show NY Post

De Blasio Unveils 'Safe Summer NYC' aims to combat gun violence CBS News

Times Square Alliance says city needs to address crime, safety concerns ABC 7

Man wounded in hail of bullets at NYC apartment courtyard ABC 7

22-year old man gunned down inside SUV on Queens street NY Post

15 year old boy shot walking on 125th Street in Harlem CBS News

Police exchange gunfire with 2 men on 142nd Street CBS News

Teens charged with attempted murder freed from NYC court without bail NY Post

Bloodshed on LI: I dead, 2 hurt in Stop & Shop Shooting-and gunman is on the loose ABC 7

Robbers threaten attendant, steal 2 cars at Washington Heights garage ABC 7

Search for man in string of armed bodega robberies in Queens ABC 7

6 People force their way into Bronx Apartment, tie up occupants, steal $22,000 CBS News

Woman arrested in bizarre hatchet slashing in Manhattan ABC 7

Man fatally struck, dragged near Central Park on Upper West Side ABC 7

Woman believed to be homeless found dead on NYC subway NY Post

by Anonymousreply 562April 20, 2021 6:04 PM

A restaurant/bookstore that sells records in Brooklyn Heights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563April 20, 2021 6:10 PM

Beautiful and therapeutic. Free performances on Tuesdays through May 11th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564April 20, 2021 6:13 PM

Socrates Sculpture Park reopens May 14th

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565April 20, 2021 6:28 PM

R533 It makes NYC seem like Kansas and a stomping ground for geriatrics!

by Anonymousreply 566April 20, 2021 8:02 PM

R553 ^ NY the whimsical city.

by Anonymousreply 567April 20, 2021 8:06 PM

Looking for an inexpensive hour on the water? Round trip the SI Ferry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568April 20, 2021 8:13 PM

Dinner/drinks on the Grand Banks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569April 20, 2021 8:22 PM

Hit the High Line before it gets crowded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570April 20, 2021 8:27 PM

R547 How ironic that the Village Voice used to shame the cities worst landlords now that most landlords have been negatively impacted by the pandemic with empty apartments, dropping rental prices, a non eviction policy that protects tenants from the consequences of not paying rent and so many tenants fleeing the city without paying rent.

by Anonymousreply 571April 20, 2021 10:07 PM

Money talks and bullshit walks?

NYC Launches Historic $30M Ad Push To Get Tourists Back To Big Apple April 21, 2021 NY Post

BLM Protestors Wreak Havoc At Brooklyn Restaurant, Tell Diners to 'stay the f--k outta;=' NYC April 21, 2021 NY Post

by Anonymousreply 572April 21, 2021 5:38 PM

Black crime against Asians seems to be getting worse and there is nothing but silence from Mayor DeBlasio and his fugly partner and former lesbian Chirlaine. So sad since the Asians are a very productive part of NYC economic growth and give more than they take by any measure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573April 21, 2021 6:40 PM

Maybe the Klan should move their headquarters to NY! There's plenty of office space.

by Anonymousreply 574April 21, 2021 6:57 PM

NYC TO TOURISTS: COME BACK! Daily News To this!!!!

THREE MEN OPEN FIRE ON BROOKLYN STREET Daily News 4.21.21 MOTORCYCLIST DEAD, MOPED OPERATOR WOUNDED IN NYC SHOOTING ABC 7 4.21.21 WOMAN KILLED IN PARK SLOPE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT NY Post 4.21.21 MAN 38, SLASHED IN LOWER MANHATTAN FIGHT NY Post 4.21.21 TWO MORE ANTI-ASIAN ATTACKS REPORTED IN NYC AMID SURGE OF RACIST ENCOUNTERS NY Post 4.21.21 DRIVER FLED SCENE OF DEADLY CRASH THAT KILLED 23-YEAR OLD IN QUEENS ABC 7 4.21.21 YONKERS STORE OWNER FATALLY STABBED AFTER ALTERCATION WITH SHOPLIFTER CBS News 4.21.21

by Anonymousreply 575April 21, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote]She also wants to tax the rich to pay for programs to ensure the poor who elect not to work will have a comfortable life

You should have been aborted.

by Anonymousreply 576April 21, 2021 11:33 PM

This thread is full of nothing but white Boomers who don't want to pay taxes.

by Anonymousreply 577April 21, 2021 11:34 PM

Another white gays for Trump thread.

by Anonymousreply 578April 21, 2021 11:34 PM

DeBlasio and his looney far left ideals have turned NYC into the highest paying welfare state in the world. People from all over this planet want to come to NYC to get all the free benefits available. Why slum it in Detroit when NYC will give you everything free and then you can commit crimes like mugging people for cash and jewelry, get arrested with no cash bail.

by Anonymousreply 579April 22, 2021 12:36 AM

On March 9, 2020 as Italy and China were on lockdown and COVID was spreading throughout the world, De Blasio said that the closing of NYC schools was off the table for discussion because 65% of the students in the largest school district in the US depended on the schools for breakfast and lunch! 2 days later he changed his tune after the President of the teachers' union threatened to sue.

by Anonymousreply 580April 22, 2021 1:25 AM

Well thanks to R576 with 3 posts 576/7/8 that don't make sense, but are filled with overweening generalities and indoctrinated talking points, basement dwellers are making a return.

by Anonymousreply 581April 22, 2021 2:45 AM

R581 cannot see the truth if it was glued to his face, que snowflake!

by Anonymousreply 582April 22, 2021 11:27 AM

Prediction ...Eric Adam...black former Republican, cop and Borough President of Brooklyn will be the next Mayor of NYC

Yang will flame out.

by Anonymousreply 583April 22, 2021 11:32 AM

Adams .... only a moderate can win in NYC for Mayor

by Anonymousreply 584April 22, 2021 11:34 AM

The criminals seem to be winning these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585April 22, 2021 11:38 AM

No more prosecuting prostitutes in NYC!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586April 22, 2021 11:41 AM

I’m happy to pay an extra 5-6% of income taxes - as I make 20-30% more than I would elsewhere. And there are a ton of jobs in my field. Make more money - and get access to everything I could possibly want. And 3 airports to choose from to go wherever I want whenever I want.

by Anonymousreply 587April 22, 2021 4:38 PM

R587 Glad you are happy to pay more taxes and as the prices of housing, rentals, utilities, groceries, transportation, gas are at least 30% higher in NY, LA and San Francisco you are going to need to make more than anywhere else because the cost of living is so much higher and getting to the 3 airports in my experience often takes longer than the flight itself. And then there's the quality of life issues with traffic, noise, dirt, congestion and soaring crime. Housing prices and rentals near subway stations are no cheaper because people apparently don't want to live near them to say nothing of riding on them.

by Anonymousreply 588April 22, 2021 6:51 PM

R588 gets it!

by Anonymousreply 589April 22, 2021 6:53 PM

R587 is a far left liberal who never complains about tax increases or a Russian bot.

by Anonymousreply 590April 22, 2021 9:11 PM

Anecdotally...my apartment in midtown is now in contract and I didn't have to unload it in a fire sale. The buyer is from out of state. I'm aware of one other apartment in my soon to be old building that also went into contact at the same time. In the past month, 4 other units have gone up for sale. There still seems to be an appetite to live in the city.

by Anonymousreply 591April 22, 2021 9:24 PM

R591 Maybe it's prostitutes. It's legal now and I don't think they have to worry about paying taxes do they?

by Anonymousreply 592April 22, 2021 9:51 PM

thread 2 is below, if we decide to carry on bitching there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593April 22, 2021 9:56 PM

In my case it's a doctor looking to live near the hospital he'll be working out of, r592.

by Anonymousreply 594April 22, 2021 9:57 PM

Anecdotally, vacant NY office space hit its highest level since 1994 following the first terrorist attack on the WTC.

by Anonymousreply 595April 22, 2021 10:23 PM

Buying and living are 2 different things R591 with so many properties for sale at lower prices many wealthy people and foreigners are investing though the properties themselves may remain empty and claimed for a tax deduction as unleased rental property. And if vacant office space is at a peak it doesn't sound like NYC will have anything like the job market it's seen pre pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 596April 22, 2021 11:15 PM

DeBlasio wants to put the homeless in the empty condo units owned by foreign investors. Can you imagine paying millions to live in a luxury building and sharing the elevator with the homeless. That is way beyond socialism, more like communism.

by Anonymousreply 597April 22, 2021 11:20 PM

“Silence? What can New York-noisy, roaring, rumbling, tumbling, bustling, story, turbulent New York-have to do with silence? Amid the universal clatter, the incessant din of business, the all swallowing vortex of the great money whirlpool-who has any, even distant, idea of the profound repose......of silence?” ― Walt Whitman

by Anonymousreply 598April 22, 2021 11:29 PM

“I knew I couldn't live in America and I wasn't ready to move to Europe so I moved to an island off the coast of America - New York City .” ― Spalding Gray

by Anonymousreply 599April 22, 2021 11:29 PM

“It'll be a great place if they ever finish it.” ― O. Henry

by Anonymousreply 600April 22, 2021 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!