Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

has new york city bounced back? part 2: start spreading the news!

carry on from the original thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134Last Saturday at 1:10 PM

Everybody sing the state song! Take that " My Old Kentucky Home," " Back Home Again in Indiana." and " Oklahoma!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104/22/2021

From the previous thread...

[quote]Buying and living are 2 different things [R591] with so many properties for sale at lower prices many wealthy people and foreigners are investing though the properties themselves may remain empty and claimed for a tax deduction as unleased rental property. And if vacant office space is at a peak it doesn't sound like NYC will have anything like the job market it's seen pre pandemic.

It's a co-op that doesn't allow pied -a-terres. Co-op boards have much tighter controls over who lives in their building.

And, on office space being at a high...why would anyone take space and pay rent NOW when most businesses aren't calling people back until after labor day?

by Anonymousreply 204/22/2021

R2 I did not mean to imply that your small corner of NY represented the realty or reality of today's market but rather there are many opportunities for foreign and wealthy investors as NY real estate prices plummeted with widespread seller concessions. It's certainly a buyers market. And many buyers won't be claiming it as their primary residence or even live there and can use the properties they invest in for tax deduction purposes. And the workplace environment is changing as well and a number of companies will have employees continuing to work from home or work on a hybrid schedule and a number of companies will not be returning to NY at all so there will be a considerably smaller demand for office space. And with rising crime, De Blasio's congestion tax becoming a reality and the possibility of even higher taxes . . .

by Anonymousreply 304/22/2021

R3 between the elimination of the SALT deduction and the millionaires tax...NYC isn't the tax haven you make it out to be. It's partly why I'm getting rid of my place. I used to get a nice chunk back thanks to SALT. But that's no more and since I have other homes it's just not worth it if I'm not going to live there.

by Anonymousreply 404/22/2021

R4 I was responding to something that I posted in Part 1 of this thread. Unoccupied/ unleased rental property can be used for tax deduction. And yes I did note at R3 the possibility or inevitability of rising taxes in NY. And doesn't capping the SALT deduction hurt average to moderate earners most?

by Anonymousreply 504/22/2021

R5 you're responding to me from the previous thread. And, quite frankly, I have no idea what point you're trying to make because you're all over the place.

You needed to itemize to take the SALT deduction so, no, it didn't hurt average to modest earners.

by Anonymousreply 604/22/2021

Well, I thought I made it clear: real estate prices have plummeted, it's a buyers market and buyers and foreign investors who can afford to wait are buying, office space availability is at an all time high and it's uncertain that businesses will not be returning in full and crime and mismanagement and policy decisions won't make NY's bouncing back any easier.

by Anonymousreply 704/22/2021

Well you're wrong, r7. Prices and sales are both steadily rebounding, especially in Brooklyn. Co-ops are outpacing condos (+167% to +50% source: Douglas Elliman). And these foreign buyers you speak of went away a few years ago due to an oversupply in the luxury market and changes in the tax code in their mother country, specifically China, as well as changes in taxes here. There was a brief resurgence in foreign buyers, specifically from Europe, early on in the pandemic, but that has since dried up. None of that's to say the luxury market isn't doing well, it is, but it remains to be seen if it's demand that held over from last year.

by Anonymousreply 804/22/2021

R8 Wrong? I said real estate prices plummeted (they did), it was a buyers market (it is) and people were taking advantage of that and are investing in NY (they are) foreigners are buying (they still are) unoccupied office space is at it's highest peak in NY since 1994 (it is) the future of the workplace and the demand for office space is uncertain (it is) and skyrocketing crime and De Blasio's policies. . . are roadblocks to NY's bouncing back.

by Anonymousreply 904/22/2021

You sure know all about those foreign buyers, r9. 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1004/22/2021

And again, r9, you're all over the place. You talk about NY real estate picking up in one breath and then talk about everything that's holding it back in another. And you're clearly off about the foreign markets.

by Anonymousreply 1104/22/2021

Well my partner and I are heading out soon ourselves. The end of this month. Luckily I run a small clothing line and can do that from anywhere. I made this t-shirt for anyone else who kinda feels like me right now after this intense last year - "Dear NYC, It's Not You, It's Me"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1204/22/2021

Start Spreading the News!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1304/22/2021

[quote]has new york city bounced back?

I don't know. Let's push Chrissy Metz off the Empire State Building and see if she bounces.

by Anonymousreply 1404/22/2021

People seem to be a little bit more positive. There was a calm in the air today

by Anonymousreply 1504/22/2021

R11 I'm not all over the place but discussing the various aspects involved in NY bouncing back Real estate aside, the $60 billion dollar a year tourist industry is not back nor is it certain how and when businesses and commuters which will keep restaurants, hotels, parking garages, theaters, MSG, the Beacon, cab and Uber drivers in business.

by Anonymousreply 1604/22/2021

"It'll be a great place if they ever finish it" O'Henry

Sounds like it might finally be finished!

by Anonymousreply 1704/22/2021

R15 Pot is legal you can smoke weed in the street now. That should restore calm.

by Anonymousreply 1804/22/2021

R10 I may not know all about those foreign buyers but I know a dated, pointless puff piece when I see it. That Crain's report is from July 2020 . Who was buying real estate then? Taking a step back from NY real estate is putting it mildly; it was a complete stoppage. The city was at its emptiest, construction was halted, travel bans were in place, there were no vaccines and Cuomo was seen as the 'COVID Governor'

by Anonymousreply 1904/23/2021

R12 I want one!

by Anonymousreply 2004/23/2021

Hey R20, then go ahead and buy one please on the site. Nothing would make me happier.

by Anonymousreply 2104/24/2021

Not sure where the real estate market “plummeted”. Rentals maybe - but real estate prices dipped slightly and are now coming back. Kept my eye out for pandemic deals and there were very few. I wish they had plummeted - I would have bought. But the narrow window opened and shut pretty fast. And there were never fire sale deals.

by Anonymousreply 2204/24/2021

If you want to know whether NYC and it's economy is bouncing back, look at the tourism industry vis-a-vis the Times Square Live Cam on YouTube. The times I had to go down there on a weekend at night it could be midnight and the crowd would be shoulder to shoulder.

Take a quick look at the live cam now on a Friday or Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 2304/24/2021

I haven't checked the Herald Square Hobo camp recently, but the last time I ran through it, it seemed pretty thriving.

by Anonymousreply 2404/24/2021

Longtime Hell's kitchen advocate Marisa Redanty described the neighborhood as a 'sewer' and a 'cesspool' as thousands of vagrants the city dumped in the neighborhood over the last year emerge from their homeless hotels. The Four Points Sheraton on West 40th and the now notorious Skyline Hotel on 10th Avenue both have on average four 911 calls per day. Neighbors cite a visibly ugly increase in trouble spilling out of the hotels and onto the sidewalks: theft, drug abuse, public defecation, open-air sex and random violence. Hell's Kitchen residents fear a summer of 'living dea

by Anonymousreply 2504/24/2021

^ 'living dead'

by Anonymousreply 2604/24/2021

I live in Chelsea and I encounter at least one Black Zombie shuffling down the street with their hand out every time I go out. I am indeed black, so I can say this. I live on 24th Street around London Terrace just south of the 25th street projects. I have found myself running home, clutching my pearls, scrambling for my keys, like a 50 yo white woman, after a post dawn trip to the corner bodega. Early on in the quarantine this young kid passed me and said, "you better be careful out here with all of that money..." I didn't have any money on me... Another guy started chasing me and I started running and then he started laughing saying, "look at you run, ya dumbass." It's actually harder being black because a lot of these panhandlers just ASSUME I am going to give them money because I "understand the struggle." They get pretty aggressive when I don't. If there is a white woman walking down the street in front of me, I tend to tuck in behind her because they tend to be a bit more respectful to them.

by Anonymousreply 2704/24/2021

R27, thanks for that interesting perspective. I hope things improve.

by Anonymousreply 2804/24/2021

The Salon where I get my haircut was located in Chelsea on 25th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue and they moved last August due to hundreds of homeless people had who taken up residence under scaffolding on the north side of the street complete with pup tents, lawn chairs and bicycles and the street was littered with trash. Fortunately with high vacancies the salon was able to relocate in Chelsea. My question: Where did all these people come from seemingly over night?

by Anonymousreply 2904/24/2021

R22 Where were you last year? He who hesitates masturbates!

Bloomberg News reported in December of 2020 that with the pandemic sales of commercial and residential properties were down 49% June through November with some properties being sold at up to 50% less than the original asking price and that the slowdown in real estate cost NYC $1.2 in lost revenue. A 42% decline in city tax revenue compared with the same period in 2019. Hardly open and shut and still with vacancies both residential and commercial at near record highs and unemployment still up and properties going into foreclosure with people still out of work and landlords not getting rental revenues there are still deals to be had. She who hesitates, masturbates,

by Anonymousreply 3004/24/2021

Is R30 Fox News? Blatant lies masquerading as facts to advance an agenda that makes bitter old people feel better. Median sales price was up 3%. A minor dip last year that has been eliminated. Unless you were looking for a rental last year, there were very few deals to be had.

by Anonymousreply 3104/24/2021

R22 Where were you June through November last year? According to a Bloomberg News article from December 2020 NYC's plummeting real estate sales cost the city $1.2 in lost revenue with sales of commercial and residential properties down 49% and due to both apartment and office vacancies at an all time high and continued unemployment real estate values plummeted to as much as 50% and now though the market is slowly coming back there are an increasing number of foreclosures as unemployment numbers continue to be high and landlords are stuck with empty apartments. It's still a buyers market.

by Anonymousreply 3204/24/2021

R22 R30 You're fishy as fuck. Even Stevie Wonder could see the migration from NY last year that caused a drop in prices and sales of NY real estate as prices in Westchester, Mommouth County NJ and Connecticut increased and people were buying properties sight unseen! Is everyone who doesn't agree with you a bitter old person and every news organization you don't agree with liars? I suspect you don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. You type bitter old queen.

by Anonymousreply 3304/24/2021

R31 ^

by Anonymousreply 3404/24/2021

R23 What s there to do in Times Square now? If it's eating at the McDonald's or getting a picture with the Naked Cowboy I pass.

by Anonymousreply 3504/24/2021

R24 Herald Square a hobo camp now? Awww fuck that was nice when I was there in 2003.

I used to eat dinner there, cheap eats from street vendors as my hotel had too many roaches so I'd eat it in the square as it was close to the dump I was staying at

by Anonymousreply 3604/24/2021

New York might be the last American tourist city to bounce back economically. Tourists will not go very soon.

by Anonymousreply 3704/24/2021

With NYPD officers rushing to retire amid anti-cop climate and with the proliferation of crime and homeless people and Broadway shuttered it's not happening this summer. And with today's news that four people were wounded in three separate shootings across NY last night and an Asian man who was brutally stomped yesterday has been placed in a medically induced coma, violence is a norm and the city has yet to address it . Why visit NY?

by Anonymousreply 3804/24/2021

R27 If you think it's hard being black in NYC, consider what it must be like to be Asian who have been the target of daily assaults.

by Anonymousreply 3904/24/2021

R39 racist blacks make it hard on Asians and I can say that because I’m a black man.

by Anonymousreply 4004/25/2021

R40 Any sentient person can say that. It doesn't require being black.

by Anonymousreply 4104/25/2021

[quote]I live in Chelsea and I encounter at least one Black Zombie shuffling down the street with their hand out every time I go out. I am indeed black, so I can say this. I live on 24th Street around London Terrace just south of the 25th street projects.

I used to walk over to 8th Ave and up to and east on 23rd for exercise — I had to stop last fall because there were aggressive types hanging around harassing people.

Two people I know who live in London Terrace were mugged in the last year, just after stepping out of their front doors onto 23rd.

by Anonymousreply 4204/25/2021

A rash of 14 shooting incidents over the weekend with 15 victims!

Take it from us New York, You in danger girl!

by Anonymousreply 4304/26/2021

New York had the largest 2019-20 population decline of any state. I don't think that trend will be reversing anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 4404/26/2021

It was too crowded.

by Anonymousreply 4504/26/2021

R44 Same here! Now I'm breathing where the air is nice and clean, and I'm surrounded by nature. Never going back to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 4604/26/2021

Has New York City bounced back? Yep, to the 1970s (but without the fun and creativity)

"Man is shot dead after asking a stranger if he is 'ok' and a driver, 20, is killed in front of multimillion dollar Upper East Side homes: NYC police union blames De Blasio as shootings rocket by 257%"

"New York City saw 50 people shot across the city in the week to Monday"

"The figure represents a 257% increase from the same period last year, at the height of lockdown"

"So far this year 416 people have been shot citywide - a 72% increase on 2020"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4704/26/2021

NEW YORK IS LOSING one congressional seat under new Census data and losing its mind. Not only dis it see the bloodiest week of 2021 in surge of shootings, but random, unprovoked attacks on citizens are a daily event. It's never been worse and I lived in the Metro area my entire life.

by Anonymousreply 4804/26/2021

[quote]If you want to know whether NYC and it's economy is bouncing back, look at the tourism industry vis-a-vis the Times Square Live Cam on YouTube.

It's picking up from six months ago, but now a couple of dozen of people is a big crowd.

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2021

R45 And now it's packed with homeless and people off their meds.

by Anonymousreply 5004/27/2021

It will be interesting to see what happens on Fourth of July after the city reopens 100%. I think the whole city is going to be shit faced drunk.

by Anonymousreply 5104/29/2021

We need to collect the homeless and put them in a facility. Somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5204/29/2021

R27: Try saying "Man, I was about to ask you!" with a chuckle when you encounter a panhandler.

by Anonymousreply 5304/29/2021

NYC is an elitist hellhole, it serves no real purpose anymore. It used to breed great artists and great thinkers. Now it's just a shopping mall for the very rich and posers who wish they were rich.

by Anonymousreply 5404/29/2021

NYC will fully reopen 1 July 2021

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5504/29/2021

"[R27]: Try saying "Man, I was about to ask you!" with a chuckle when you encounter a panhandler."

I was approached by a panhandler in Oakland. I told him I really didn't have any money and he, menacingly said," Yes you do. I know you do." I replied," Have I ever lied to you before?" He smiled and said, " That's a good one," and walked on by.

by Anonymousreply 5604/29/2021

Instead of fully opening, maybe NY should think about closing: In the last 48 hours:

A 22-year old was shot following a dispute in Morningside Heights, a 29 and 29-year old man were shot in South Ozone Park, couple aboard a #4 train was attacked by a knife wielding man, a cyclist hit an MTA worker in the head with a U-Lock when asked to move his bike away from the doors, 1 person was killed and several injured after a vehicle crashes into a restaurant's outdoor space, 2 people were shot while dining at Peter Luger's steak house, 3 teens in custody after a 6-year old child was shot in Queens, a 17-year old took a bullet in the stomach in front of a Brooklyn charter school for troubled teens, a man was stabbed and his wife was pushed down stairs near a Bronx subway station, an Asian man needed 9 stiches after being attacked in a hate crime, a homeless woman who pitched a tent on the UWS is charged in a teen's death, a teen arrested in Brooklyn shooting that injured 5-year old girl, 2 men injured after a gunman fires into double-parked car in Brooklyn. a man was punched at Penn Station by a man making anti-gay slurs,

by Anonymousreply 5704/29/2021

Broadway is coming back in September! Deal with it bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5804/30/2021

Asian tourism must be down, more than any other demographic.

by Anonymousreply 5904/30/2021

As long as NYC is perceived to be unsafe for Asians, you are going to lose big bucks. From 2020 before the attacks:

The manager of a hotel near Newark Liberty International Airport that relies on tourists from China estimated the loss from the coronavirus outbreak at “well over $100,000 and climbing.”

A company that arranges Chinese-language bus tours of the sights in Manhattan is dealing with as many as 300 cancellations from Chinese tourists who cannot come to New York this week.

In New York City, Chinese tourists represent the second-largest group of foreign travelers. (Visitors from Britain are No. 1.)

Nationwide, China was the third-largest source of overseas visitors to the United States in 2018, according to the U.S. Travel Association. Among cities, New York was the top destination, followed by Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 6004/30/2021

"This is New York" Shooting victim at Peter Luger's steak house said 'You go out to dinner and this is what happens' Who wants to visit NY now?

by Anonymousreply 6104/30/2021

Don't walk this way!

58% more NYC pedestrians killed so far in 2021

by Anonymousreply 6205/01/2021

Walkin' here!

Staten Island, Brooklyn, The Bronx and Manhattan were in the top ten of most dangerous places for pedestrians in the US

by Anonymousreply 6305/01/2021

I know you bitter shopbottoms had to leave NYC for dilapidated Joisey but enough with the doom and gloom…

by Anonymousreply 6405/01/2021

Due to demand, there will be a second company of "Hamilton" opening on Broadway starring Idina Menzel. Instead of Alexander, she'll be playing Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 6505/01/2021

R64 Yeah, like all those people who left starting in 2017 and now NY is losing 1 congressional seat due to population decline. It had the largest migration away from than any US city in 2019. Change 'had to' to wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 6605/02/2021

New York state actually gained population by about 4%, not a net decrease. It is losing that congressional seat because other states grew by larger numbers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6705/02/2021

Washington – New York state will lose one seat in Congress after falling a remarkable 89 people short of having a population large enough to keep all 27 of its House seats, the U.S. Census Bureau said today.

Minnesota edged out New York for the 435th and final seat to be awarded in the U.S. House of Representatives based on the 2020 Census, the officials said.

New York managed to avoid taking a bigger hit after the census count showed the state’s overall population grew by about 4.2% from 19.37 million in 2010 to 20.2 million last year. Overall, the state’s population increased by 823,147 during the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6805/02/2021

Despite the panic caused by covid-19 NYS did a remarkable job in pulling census off. This shows in fact that if only 89 more persons were counted NY would have held onto that seat in House.

Other issue is what everyone knows, many New Yorkers period don't complete the census. Then you have the huge population of illegal aliens who won't for assorted reasons. Added to list for latter was DT being POTUS at the time and his anti illegal immigration actions and views.

by Anonymousreply 6905/02/2021

R69 3,000 a year since 2016/17 have left it's been falling continually. 89 is probably the number of people killed in the city since the beginning of this year.

by Anonymousreply 7005/02/2021

R68 Does that include the homeless put up in the hotels in Hell's Kitchen, the UWS and Queens?

by Anonymousreply 7105/02/2021

Having a wild weekend in NY.! Weekend update.

Eight people shot overnight in Manhattan and Brooklyn

Asian woman attacked with hammer in Times Square

Woman, 62, fatally struck by Jeep on Staten Island

Suspect beats, stomps man in caught-on camera Brooklyn attack

5-year old boy critically injured in Brooklyn crash

Grisly video shows random attack on elderly man in the Bronx

Man sucker-punched and robbed of watch in Greenwich Village

NYC couple celebrates anniversary with a bang during shooting at Peter Luger's steakhouse

Unhinged motorist intentionally mows down school bus driver in Brooklyn

Cops search for known attacker who raped 29-year old woman in Central Park

by Anonymousreply 7205/03/2021

24 hour subway service returns 17 May 2021

by Anonymousreply 7305/03/2021

look forward to round the clock subway assaults

by Anonymousreply 7405/03/2021

Gov. Cuomo said, however, that he still wants the subways shut down two hours a day for cleaning and disinfecting, stressing that surface transmittal of covid still remains a concern.

Might be wise to resume wearing gloves if and when 24 hour ridership returns.

by Anonymousreply 7505/03/2021

I spent last weekend walking all around the city and it definitely feels different these days, almost back to normal. Even the subway was full and it used to be so empty during the past months.

by Anonymousreply 7605/03/2021

I'm fully vaccinated so I'm planning on going somewhere this summer. NYC isn't even on my list. Too dangerous. Too expensive. Mayor and Governor who are both fucking nuts. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 7705/03/2021

I would say NO, NYC is not bouncing back. DeBlasio and his far left friends have created a no bail system in the city where the criminals come right back out and continue to terrorize the decent tax paying citizens who are all scrambling to leave. More people (who pay taxes) are leaving while the people looking for the free govt programs are increasing the population. This is not a winning receipe. Also, DeBlasio's implementation of defund the police and no more stop and frisk has made NYC the place for criminals to relocate without fear of arrest or apprehension. Also, NYC is a sanctuary city and the MS13 and Trinitarios who are growing bigger and stronger thanks to this ass wipe of a mayor. The last 7 years have been a DeBlasio disaster. His wife is equally incompetent and corrupt, ask almost anyone besides her lesbian friends from Stonewall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7805/03/2021

[QUOTE] I had to stop last fall because there were aggressive types hanging around harassing people.

yeah, I get my haircut at a barbershop on 23rd/7th and I really hate getting out of the E train on 8th avenue and walking over. The corner of 23rd street is a cesspool, zombies hanging around the pizza joint and camped out against the buildings. I guess one way of getting rid of them might be to raise the prices of the pizza, and also make the bodega near there stop selling blunts, bath salts, and loosies.

by Anonymousreply 7905/03/2021

In a news conference on Monday Cuomo said many New Yorkers are afraid to ride the subway and that he wouldn't tell his own child to ride the rails. Who's on the subway after midnight? it would seem to attract homeless people.

by Anonymousreply 8005/03/2021

R52 How about 3 Mile Island?

by Anonymousreply 8105/03/2021

There were a ton of people riding the subway this past Saturday r80. Of course this was during the afternoon and early evening.

There is still a curfew in effect with bars and restaurants so I imagine the late night subway is fairly sketch.

by Anonymousreply 8205/03/2021

R82 A ton of people? Was that Chrissy Metz and Len Dunham?

by Anonymousreply 8305/03/2021

NYC will be on par with New Delhi by mid-August.

Deja vu all over again.

by Anonymousreply 8405/03/2021

R79 HOLY FUCKING FUCK! I get my haircut near 23rd and 5th!!! Maybe we've walked by each other on the sidewalk and didn't even know it! Maybe we've exchanged curious glances! Maybe we've secretly lusted after each other not knowing each other's intentions!

by Anonymousreply 8505/03/2021

Why do you say that R84?

by Anonymousreply 8605/03/2021

Not r84 Because opening up when there's multiple variants in a densely populated city and allowing people in indoor spaces at maximum capacity who are not distancing or wearing masks still seems risky even if starting tomorrow flights from India are being restricted though the Biden administration hasn't divulged specifics. In some one both COVID and the vaccines are still in their infancy. Now that warm weather is approaching restaurants will have more opportunity to provide outdoor dining.

by Anonymousreply 8705/03/2021

^ 'in some ways'

by Anonymousreply 8805/03/2021

I say that in light of the onslaught of unmasked, unvaccinated tourists headed here from all over the country and around the world, R86.

I am more afraid of these clueless (and not-so) interlopers and their children than I am of petty street wannabe thugs, "bunny-sized" rats and previously unheard of gangs listed above.

by Anonymousreply 8905/03/2021

I’m not afraid of anything except suburban transplants!

by Anonymousreply 9005/03/2021

Are tourists arriving in NY going to be told whether the hotel they are staying at is or was used to house the homeless like The Skyline in Hell's Kitchen where I use to swim at the rooftop pool and the Lucerne on the UWS to name 2 I know of. Besides 'bunny sized' rats what about bed bugs, scabies and typhus Oh, my!

by Anonymousreply 9105/03/2021

R91 The Lucerne got a lot of bad press but at least there's a La Quinta nearby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9205/03/2021

Don't worry; you won't be getting many tourists for a long time, especially if your current mayor and his successor continue to let the criminals have unbridled freedom in the city.

by Anonymousreply 9305/03/2021

It's raining now, but even on the nicer days you're not going to see a lot of tourists in Times Square. People yes, but they're definitely not tourists.... I saw a fight break out the other night over nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9405/03/2021

After COVID people are seeking beach vacations and aren't likely to flock to a hot city where Broadway is still shuttered. New Yorkers will be going to the Hamptons, Fire Island and the Jersey Shore.

by Anonymousreply 9505/03/2021

We need a Republican mayor. Nyc has way too many social services. These attract the losers of the country (and the world). There is no reason this burden should rest on the shoulders of New York. All social services should be implemented by the federal government and come from federal tax dollars.

by Anonymousreply 9605/03/2021

We never need a Republican anything.

by Anonymousreply 9705/03/2021

R97. The Democrats are turning my beautiful city into a cesspool. Do you have a better idea?

by Anonymousreply 9805/03/2021

A police department that actually does the work they should be doing, for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 9905/03/2021

That really sucks to hear about Chelsea :(

Central Park feels normal at this point. Union square, soho, west village, upper east and upper west sides also feel normal. Williamsburg feels fine.

Midtown is definitely dicey. A lot more panhandlers. Aggressive too.

I’ve noticed young people have started visiting again in terms of tourism.

I got a really good covid deal on an apartment rental so I can’t complain. Still love living here.

by Anonymousreply 10005/03/2021

R97 Tell that to Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Milwaukee, Michigan and NYC.

by Anonymousreply 10105/03/2021

Maybe Ghouliani could run again.

by Anonymousreply 10205/03/2021

100% capacity in 2 weeks when we are only at 30% vaxxed? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10305/03/2021

If there is a summer wave of infections in NYC what happens? Back to lockdowns and business closures?

by Anonymousreply 10405/03/2021

R104 unfortunately yes. If the numbers go back up so do the restrictions. There would be no other choice sadly. I know we’re all so afraid to be optimistic now because of the mindfuck that’s been the last one year plus, but I honestly don’t think that’s gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 10505/03/2021

R104

Highly doubt it... New York both state and local governments (in particular NYC) lucked out Biden won and Charles Schumer is head of senate. Latter in particular used his position as senate majority leader to ensure hundreds of billion in federal aid flowed to New York and directly to NYC. In short rather than facing fiscal calamity from covid-19 both state and city government no only were made whole, but have buckets of cash to spare. That may not happen again if NY in whole or part (including just NYC alone) shuts down.

by Anonymousreply 10605/03/2021

R99 Actually that would start with the Mayor. The MTA and the PBA have asked Lurch for more police for the subway. Any other ideas?

by Anonymousreply 10705/03/2021

How will NYC be if Maya Wiley is the next mayor? People shitting on the sidewalks will be given blue ribbons and gift cards. People of color getting reparations and told they can do no wrong I fear.

by Anonymousreply 10805/04/2021

The state of vaccinations in America versus the state of vaccinations in India cannot be compared r84. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 10905/04/2021

R78- DeBlasio's wife is behind all of that.

The NYT has published one negative story after another about Yang because the NYT has decided that the next mayor of NYC must be black.

Wiley or the ANGRY BLACK MAN will just be DeBlasio 2.

by Anonymousreply 11005/04/2021

Looking at the Times Square view camera at R94 Monday noon. Compared to how wall-wall crowded it used to be it looks something out of the Will Smith film I Am Legend. And looking at the prices of the La Quinta Inn at R92 feels like a return to the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 11105/04/2021

Chirlane McCray GRIFTER DELUXE

by Anonymousreply 11205/04/2021

Did Maya munch Chirlane for the concession?

by Anonymousreply 11305/04/2021

A lot of people I know are being ordered back to work this summer. I suspect that might make a difference when commuters start using the subway and going into midtown again? Right now there is no reason to be in Times Square. Of course it's emptier. This will shift. Or New Yorkers will just avoid Times Square. I already do.

I was in Bryant Park last week meeting a friend for coffee and the park was crowded but there were aggressive panhandlers, which was not good. They were approaching tables. Friend and I left. But I was surprised how crowded the park was on a weekday afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 11405/04/2021

Yeah every local avoids Time Square. You will only see it full when you get flyover and international tourists coming again.

by Anonymousreply 11505/04/2021

I was in midtown today; sad how many empty stores run the length of Madison Ave. never saw anything close to this. The restaurants seems to be doing okay but retail is dead. Block after block of empty stores for rent.

Also took the subway to and from Bklyn; it was fine. Not too crowded and no homeless that I could see. There were 3 cops stationed at the Bryant park subway stop.

by Anonymousreply 11605/04/2021

Everyone saying that the cops should do their job:

You do realize that the mayor’s office makes it pointless to arrest people since they’re just going to be released. We really need a government that is tough on crime. It’s just bullshit pandering to leave criminals on the street.

Gritty is one thing- nasty, dirty, high homeless bastard a are another... same for hoodlems.

We have to attract people who can pay taxes and encourage everyone else to find handouts elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 11705/04/2021

what do you say about folks like Joy Reid who, despite being vaccinated, are encouraging people to stay masked? The infection disease chief at my hospital (a prestigious one in Manhattan) says that fully vaccinated people are unlikely to be asymptomatic ‘carriers’ of Covid. So what’s she going on about? Wouldn’t she rather encourage her Brethren of Color to get vaccinated? They have EVERY opportunity in NYC, our public health system makes it easy for disadvantaged people to find care. NYC Health & Hospitals have facilities all over the 5 boroughs, literally always within walking distance of the major housing projects, by design. Staffed by Folks of Color.

by Anonymousreply 118Last Wednesday at 4:33 AM

Things will not turn around until a new mayor is elected. It is important to know which candidates are DeBlasio clones. Maya Wiley comes to mind and she scares me.

by Anonymousreply 119Last Wednesday at 4:43 AM

"Yeah every local avoids Time Square. You will only see it full when you get flyover and international tourists coming again."

Which won't be soon.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Wednesday at 4:59 AM

Another black attacking an Asian in NYC. Our feckless and useless Mayor DeBlasio refuses to condemn these acts of violence and tells everyone on MSNBC that NYC is safer than ever. If this person lives off the generosity of working taxpayers, then threaten to cut off all govt support to criminals you might have a better crime stats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121Last Wednesday at 12:52 PM

April 2021 was best month for new condo sales in NYC for over five years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122Last Friday at 11:48 AM

R122 article is for subscribers, but does it state who the buyers are? Is it foreign investors who will just buy condos in blocks leaving them empty to sell later or actual professionals moving into the city who will contribute to the local economy?

There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 123Last Friday at 11:53 AM

For those who haven't yet signed contracts the covid-19 discount is over. Well at least according to this local UWS NYC RE broker...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124Last Friday at 11:55 AM

R123

Linked article isn't behind paywall or requires subscription for me, was easily clicked from my daily local Google newsfeed.

If you cannot open article search Google News or any other site using keywords "New York City condo contracts" or similar.

Or just try this.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125Last Friday at 11:58 AM

Again there's plenty out there if you know how to look..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126Last Friday at 11:59 AM

Am also going to say clear out nearly 90% of the awful things many (including local state or city politicians) predicted about New York at start of covid-19 mess largely have *NOT* happened.

Wealthy have not fled city in droves, in fact opposite seems to be true.

Neither NYS nor NYC economy has hit the skids. Again in fact both had record setting revenue for 2020 thanks in large part to financial and real estate sector earnings which are heavily taxed, fees and surcharged.

Did people move out of Manhattan? Yes, but in many cases they just moved across river to Brooklyn where they found more space for less money.

by Anonymousreply 127Last Friday at 12:05 PM

Furthermore vis-a-vis NYC real estate the same thing happens after nearly every seismic economic event. People predict total collapse of RE as many (but not all) flee for perceived safety of suburbs. Those who buck that trend and move into city land deals and often do rather well. Meanwhile those who fled and want to return in several years find they are priced out.

This happened after in 1980's, 1990's, after 9/11/01, etc... and still today. Anyone hoping that prices rents or condo/house prices would drop further in city due to covid-19 and sat on sidelines may end up sorely disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 128Last Friday at 12:09 PM

$4 billion in emergency transit relief for the MTA $42.7 milion for John F. Kennedy airport and $22 million for LaGuardia airport $810 million in vaccine, testing and tracing funding for New York City ($135 million for vaccine distribution and $675 million for testing, tracing, isolation support and mitigation) $251 million in emergency rental assistance for New York City in addition to the extension of the federal eviction moratorium until Jan. 31, 2021 More than $20 billion from Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program for the state, with New York getting the lion’s share of the $15 billion allocated nationally for the Save Our Stages program benefiting Broadway and other entertainment venues

Those estimates show that New York City would be allocated a total of roughly $5.6 billion in aid.

by Anonymousreply 129Last Friday at 12:33 PM

$5.6 billi9on in Covid relief funds. The rest is additional.

by Anonymousreply 130Last Friday at 12:34 PM

NYC’s population is a little bigger than Peoria.

by Anonymousreply 131Last Friday at 1:02 PM

NYC=criminals have more rights than the working taxpayers.

by Anonymousreply 132Last Friday at 4:16 PM

Pretty apparent that NYC still has a way to go. Step one, elect a new mayor that believes the citizens who do not commit crimes have civil rights. The criminal justice system has been dismantled thanks to DeBlasio and the woke ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133Last Saturday at 4:02 AM

I think NYC still has a problem with crime since DeBlasio ended stop/frisk and cash bail requirements. The criminals arm themselves and engage in attacking and mugging people with impunity. Thanks to the far left party in NYC safety of the common man is no longer a concern....just keep working and pay your taxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134Last Saturday at 1:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!