Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Phillip's Funeral - This truly was the beginning of the end

things were never the same, for me, after Phillip died.

this footage is painful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 28, 2021 10:00 PM

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1April 18, 2021 2:43 AM

Yeah, idea they could kill of Phillip and the show wouldn't suffer was crazy.

But then, it was David Kreizman and Ellen Wheeler's idea. 'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 2April 18, 2021 3:46 AM

Jill Lorie Hurst had the bright idea to kill Phillip. Stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 3:01 AM

R2 remember when people thought Ellen Wheeler was gonna be a savior? Then she was a bigger hack than the hacks.

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 3:08 AM

The acting was atrocious and where was a laugh track?

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 3:10 AM

R4 Yes, I'm one of those people who thought Ellen Wheeler would be a savior. I mean, she had the acting experience and the producing experience, so how could this go wrong?

It was the killing of Phillip that left me scratching my head, realizing she was no savior and everything I'd assumed about her abilities as EP were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 3:12 AM

Did they need a separate casket for his dong?

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 3:21 AM

Lots of people thought Ellen Wheeler could turn things around because she worked hard and seemed to care. I've seen plenty of people work hard and care and still suck. I think that describes the situation pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 3:36 AM

I think Wheeler had good intentions. The show would've been canned a year or two earlier, and people in front of and behind the cameras would've been out of work, if they hadn't switched to the new production model.

by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 3:44 AM

The behind-the-scenes crew are the only ones I legitimately feel bad for. Otherwise, the show should have been put out of its misery years before. The long-timer's had gotten so old and fat and with the shaky hand-held cams up the actor's noses and zoomed in to their pores to reveal every flaw - it was not pretty. A soap should be fantasy and you need the whole kit and caboodle - the sets, the wardrobe, the lighting, the lifestyles, the REHEARSAL, etc. to sustain the fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 4:02 AM

I get that Goutman at ATWt and Ellen at GL worked all hours day and night and worked so hard to get the show out.

How could they fail with them working so hard?

Because nobody cared about the stories.

I was tired of tuning into ATWt and seeing the cast of Port Charles -- Lindstrom, Shriner, Herring, Wilson; Stuart Damon was on briefly, I recall. No. No. No. give us ATWT.

As for GL, the Bauers were decimated; I gave up when Phillip left; Grant's one of the best actors ever on soaps. Frankly, he and Scott Bryce are my two favorites.

Babs Bloom inflicted her Port Charles pals on GL, too; with Brian Gaskill as Dylan.

Doug on GL and on ATWt and Pam on GL spoiled me rotten. The shows then were about family, love, secrets, romance, adventure, revenge.

After them, there were only rare moments of great drama.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2021 5:35 AM

Wheeler was so weak. She cried daily. Not a good leader at all.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2021 6:02 AM

OP, why the fuck did you start a new thread when we already had two other ones going?

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2021 12:24 PM

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2021 3:11 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, started this.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2021 4:00 PM

Was Bert Bauer buried with her leg?

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, had a reaction to his covid shot. The BIZ shut down!!! Thank GOD that Vee is better. The entire biz was shut down when Vee felt bad!!!

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2021 4:09 PM

No, R16, it’s in the Smithsonian.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2021 5:38 PM

Bauer Power!

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2021 6:24 PM

Those Bauer women sure were fug. Bert, Hope, Hillary, Maureen. The only hot piece that Ed ever got was Rita. No wonder he was a hopeless alkie.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2021 9:24 PM

I agree. The show became totally unwatchable - the production values sucked and the storylines were horrible. I did not recognize the show any time I tried to tune in the last few years. Even the opening themes sucked bad. To me, it all seemed deliberate to kill the show.

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2021 9:36 PM

Otalia still resonates.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2021 9:54 PM

You gotta dust yourself off and move on. Like I did.

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2021 9:56 PM

ENOUGH with these blue-haired ol' elderqueen soap threads!

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2021 10:01 PM

Let's lock R24 and our loon in a room together.

He can tell you all about snatches eaten and clogged toilets, R24. You'll love it.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2021 10:04 PM

GL was coming back the last 9 months. Which is probably why they killed it before ATWT. Otalia was hot and popular. The show was getting some buzz. Production values were much better. Storylines were better.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2021 10:05 PM

Agree R26. They were finally getting the hang of the new model, and Grant had just come back.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2021 10:06 PM

Vee forced GL off the air because he was jelly of Otalia. He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 10:14 PM

R27 Yes. It was gelling well. It looked like it could have been the best since 1992 if it kept that trajectory.

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote] OP, why the fuck did you start a new thread when we already had two other ones going?

WHEREEEEEEEE?

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2021 10:38 PM

Poor Maureen was frumpy and homely. And didn’t she have a big ‘thing’ on her face?

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2021 10:38 PM

R21 I just couldn’t with GL at the end. Don’t get me wrong, the writing on ATWT was just as awful, but ATWT still looked recognizable. The Peapack production model just made GL totally inaccessible to me.

It’s such a shame that CBS and P&G understood these gems so little and cared so little.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2021 10:38 PM

It isn’t GL. It is TGL.

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2021 10:40 PM

Aka “toggle”

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2021 10:43 PM

Otalia eating each other’s snatch killed TGL.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2021 10:45 PM

Vee’s vaccine cost the biz millions in lost production costs. It will probably cause Days to be canceled. Vee is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2021 10:45 PM

OMG watching Maureen was like like watching a clock move on a wall on which you're also watching paint dry. JFP and the focus groups got that one right!

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2021 10:46 PM

Kim Zimmer bitched about the Peapack years on her book.

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2021 10:47 PM

TGL just wasn’t the same after they fired the fat and ugly Bauers ca. 1967. I could barely watch it for the other 40 years it was on.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2021 10:48 PM

Other thread is M’d already

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2021 10:52 PM

R40 We have Lucille Wexler and this one.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2021 10:53 PM

Which Ellen was homelier? Parker or Dolan? Poor Peter Simon to get stuck with those two uggos. Not that he was any great prize. Richard Van Vleet should've worked in that role, but the crazy viewers wouldn't have it.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2021 10:55 PM

Maureen brought in the ratings! -Said no one who isn’t delusional

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2021 11:12 PM

Otalia made industry killer MeeMee Torchin moist - down there.

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2021 11:18 PM

Dolan was attractive. Parker was not. Ed and Holly all the way.

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2021 11:22 PM

zzzzzzzz. Suddenly I feel the need to take a nap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2021 11:25 PM

If I had been part of the infamous focus group who said that they wouldn’t miss the Maureen character, I’d have agreed with them. She was BORING! Killing her off made for great daytime drama.

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2021 12:29 AM

Give me Reva Shayne dominated GL any day over boring Bauer TGL. zzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2021 12:44 AM

The Bauers WERE dull and played out by the late 70s. They were only kept on in a marginalized way to appease older viewers. The writers weren't invested in the Bauers and really had no interest in writing for them. I agree, Reva and the Lewis/Shaynes were the money stories.

by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2021 12:48 AM

They needed more, younger Bauers. And better casting for them.

by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2021 12:56 AM

Firing Mart Hulswit for mopey Peter Simon was not a smart move. The Bauers were the equivalent of Sominex. Those Bauer BBQs were cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2021 1:02 AM

r51

Peter Simon was Ed for many people

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2021 1:07 AM

I'd like to have seen what someone movie star handsome like Dennis Cole could've done with the role of Ed. The rest of the show was sexed up. If they had also sexed up the Bauers, they would've had more longevity. Instead we get hot Zimmer juxtaposed with dowdy Ellen Parker.

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2021 1:13 AM

BBQ were family and you best not critique Bert’s cole slaw. Lets just say she had friends in loooooow places.

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2021 1:52 AM

Who got Bert’s leg when she passed?

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2021 2:20 AM

^Henry Chamberlain stole it, painted it black, and used it as a dildo.

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2021 2:25 AM

Where exactly did Rick go for the few years Michael O’Leary was off the show?

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2021 2:45 AM

As much as I like MOL, they really needed to recast Rick. I mean, I guess that Tad guy was similar. Not hunky but funny and cute. MOL was sorta like that. If they did recast, the person would have to have great chemistry with GA or it wouldn’t work. It also could have made for more realistic tension b/w the Four Musketeers down the line.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2021 2:59 AM

R4, I read this memorable line on the old mediadomain site: "We all said it couldn't get worse after Rauch and then it did with Conboy and we all said couldn't get worse after Conboy and then we got Ellen and it got worse with her."

What I never got was when Mary Kay Adams would pop in for a few visits that TPTB never kept her around.

Great actress. History with the Spauldings and Ross.

They could have brought on a teen (de-aged) Dorie....

Interestingly, Mary Kay worked with all four Alexandras; one of her few days was with Lydia Bruce; then Beverlee, then Joan Collins, and finally Marj.

by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2021 3:37 AM

It is a shame Joan Collins didn’t stay on GL longer and had a better Alan as a foe. The possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2021 3:57 AM

Marj was an extremely nice woman, but she simply wasn't Alex.

Tobey Poser wasn't Amanda. Amanda was Alan's daughter not his sister.

Why do producers think that fans don't want to see originals?

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2021 4:07 AM

GL kept getting gifts in the 90s and squandering them. Great younger, hot actors (like Brittany Snow/Matt Bomer/Hayden Panetteire/ Tammy Blanchard/Joy Lenz among others) yet they struck it hot too quickly and left after 3 years, were in the middle of various writers/EP changes, upheaval. Struck gold with Annie/Reva. Joan Collins as Alexandra. It just seemed the show was snake bit as things fell through or it was bad timing.

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 4:14 AM

I think Linda Dano could have been a fascinating Alex.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2021 4:16 AM

I loved Beth/Coop. Beth C never looked so good and Coop was drop dead gorgeous. John Driscoll. Yum. I thought, Beth, you’ve been through some things. Hopping on some nice, hot cock, when you’re at peak MILF, is well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2021 4:24 AM

I wasn’t watching then, but that does sound hot r64

by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2021 4:41 AM

Peter Simon was the Debbie Downer of daytime. Has there ever been a more insufferable actor? Unless the storyline appealed to HIM, he half-assed it. Lots of shitty writing, for sure, but most actors at least try to rise to the occasion in exchange for their paycheck. That is, after all, their job.

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 4:49 AM

Jamie Goodwin said on Locher’s reunion last week that Judi Evans slipped in the tongue when they had to kiss for his screen test. Beth wasn’t even going to be paired with Johnny Bauer. He also said he went to Limelight with Kristi Ferrell and Michael O’Leary. I wonder if only Kristi did hard drugs there.

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2021 6:29 AM

[quote]Interestingly, Mary Kay worked with all four Alexandras; one of her few days was with Lydia Bruce; then Beverlee, then Joan Collins, and finally Marj.

Grant would have been the other person who also worked with all four. He was certainly on the show for the handful of episodes where Lydia Bruce subbed for Bev. But no idea if Grant and Lydia actually shared scenes.

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2021 11:27 PM

I didn't see every Bruce show, but I saw a few (on youtube); Bruce got great direction in her first scenes with India; it was clear there was no real love lost between them.

the tension was just thick enough

"INDIA! What are you doing here??"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2021 11:51 PM

Lydia Bruce is such an unsung, underrated actress. She was so terrific on "The Doctors" and brought so much warmth to the character of Maggie Powers. It's hard to believe she was a replacement for Bethel Leslie, who played Maggie more prickly. I think that if "The Doctors" had come along a decade later and/or had been successful thru the 80s and 90s, she would be much better remembered and beloved, in the group of people like Hubbard, Strasser, Zimmer, etc.

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2021 12:35 AM

What a great show, R69. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 71April 21, 2021 12:41 AM

Dumb Dylan has the scoop on May Sweeps at SON. Every month is sweeps to that idiot! He is an insider. When will Vee tell him to get lost? Has Vee recovered from the vaccine? He’s in the biz, you know. Will the biz survive?

by Anonymousreply 72April 21, 2021 1:28 AM

That opening of GL is something else. I’ve seen more exciting images in the montage but that hot air balloon was a sight. It always looked like a classy show.

by Anonymousreply 73April 21, 2021 3:04 AM

It wasn't even that I wouldn't have accepted anyone but Kathleen Cullen as Amanda.

If they had recast Amanda and gently de-aged her by a few years with a talented actress who still looked similar, then fine.

But they cast Toby Poser, who was 16 years younger, and then basically just used the name "Amanda" as none of her history was used. Making Amanda a madam? Uh. no.

by Anonymousreply 74April 21, 2021 3:12 AM

Since it was Megan McTavish's writing we're lucky she didn't give her two heads and send her on a killing spree through SF.

by Anonymousreply 75April 21, 2021 3:18 AM

And I’ll spell it out, I don’t care-Poser looked exactly like the Jewish-American Princesses I grew up with on LI. She looked extremely long to play the WASP Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 76April 21, 2021 4:07 AM

Doug Marland was always bringing back originals when he could for family events and sometimes people would stay a while -- Marie Masters as Susan; others include Donald, Penny, Dee, Annie, Grant Coleman....all played by original or identifiable actors.

Tobey Poser as Amanda made no sense. She was a fine actress, but she was wrong for the part in every way.

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2021 5:07 AM

Dumb Dylan is such an important part of the daytime community. What would we do if he stopped copying Soap opera Digest sweeps spoilers?????? Vee is lucky to have Dumbo post on the same board.

by Anonymousreply 78April 21, 2021 7:25 AM

Shared on another thread too. Very cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 21, 2021 3:22 PM

[quote] Tobey Poser as Amanda made no sense. She was a fine actress, but she was wrong for the part in every way.

Exactly. I would have sooner accepted her as Amanda's daughter or something, or any random Spaulding. Or anyone.

I think Liz Keifer may have been one of Betty Rea's last recasts. (I know many people dislike Liz's take on Blake but she was at least physically and age wise appropriate.) Toby couldn't have been cast by Betty - nor could Michael Dietz as AM. They were so terrible.

by Anonymousreply 80April 21, 2021 3:24 PM

Cynthia Watros told a story about Betty Rea; said she tried to buy her a drink for being so nice to her -- this might have been when Watros was still working at a restaurant after she initially started as Annie. Not sure.

Anyway, she said Betty was so gracious and kind. Betty used to go out to theater to FIND great actors.

R80, I know Liz was a BIG GL fan and I love her for that alone, but to me, Sherry was impossible to follow up. Liz was a few years older at least and never 'went for it' the way Sherry did.

by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2021 3:40 PM

Watros should have become the star of the show.

She had chemistry with just about everyone. They could have easily had her paired with Grant and it would have been just as good as Annie/Josh if not better. It would have been nice to have her be a catalyst - as much as I like the Reva/Annie rivalry they made her too much of a villain at the end.

by Anonymousreply 82April 21, 2021 4:33 PM

I think when they knew she was leaving they sent her way over the top; Teri Austin said about Jill becoming bad on Knots Landing 'Everyone who leaves Knots Landing goes a little crazy first"

They briefly paired Annie with Phillip as pals, but it never went anywhere; too bad.

But even worse was ruwinning Beth off camera by having them breakup and taking years to get back together.

by Anonymousreply 83April 21, 2021 5:13 PM

I mean, Annie had to choose between The Pendulous One and Josh.

And I'm sure Josh was nothing to sneeze at.....seems like he'd be thick, with big balls. But not as Pendulous as The Pendulous One.

by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2021 5:25 PM

[quote] Jill Lorie Hurst had the bright idea to kill Phillip

No, Kreizman was the HW at that time and aside from THAT, the edict to kill Phillip off - even temporarily - came down from CBS. It was supposed to shake some sense into GA and make him come crawling back to the show newly humbled. Didn't work that way, though.

Jill was the one who convinced GA to come back and got Wheeler on board to revive Phillip.

by Anonymousreply 85April 21, 2021 5:35 PM

Charita Bauer Last TV Interview - September 1984

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2021 5:54 PM

R86

wow, that's lovely

by Anonymousreply 87April 21, 2021 6:11 PM

Oh, man, that “deja vu” line wrecked me again, as it did back in 1984. So moving. Thanks, R86.

Shame Don Stewart was such a stick of wood.

by Anonymousreply 88April 21, 2021 7:39 PM

A pretty stick of wood but a stick of wood all the same.

by Anonymousreply 89April 21, 2021 9:03 PM

Pam Long should've brought Papa Bauer back from the dead and turned him into a predatory monster, a la the Victor Lord rewrite on OLTL. That would've given the Bauers something interesting to do, and may have prevented the Lewises from eating the show. Maybe have Papa use the lighthouse as his self-named "Bauer Tower", where he tied up and kept his victims. That would've been a great use of the show's history. Maybe P&G could've moved Larry Haines over to GL once SFT was canceled to play Papa Bauer. Or maybe Bernie Barrow once RH was canned. What do y'all think?

by Anonymousreply 90April 21, 2021 10:14 PM

R80 I'm pretty sure Betty Rea was casting people even up to 1996, including Poser. There was somewhat of a transition period between Rea and whoever the next person was (I forget the name) but it was not early 90's (when Keifer was cast), it was mid 90's or later.

by Anonymousreply 91April 21, 2021 11:51 PM

Her obit says 1996

by Anonymousreply 92April 21, 2021 11:53 PM

No matter how good you are, you can't bowl 300 every game.

For every Kimberly Simms, there's an Ann Hamilton.

For every Rick Hearst, there's a Michael Dietz.

But I will also say, the bar was set so very high by Kimberly Simms and Rick Hearst, it was virtually impossible for anyone to replace them.

Betty Rae had a great track record, better than most casting directors. But she also had some misses. We also remember some of those misses like the two mentioned above because they were so spectacularly bad.

As for Liz Keifer, she was no Sherry Stringfield, but she looked enough like Sherry and served as a good placeholder. I figured they would replace her after a year or two, but instead, Liz sort of grew into the role Or more likely, the writers adjusted the writing to meet Liz's strengths. Either way, after a couple of years, I found myself liking Liz as Blake.

by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2021 12:12 AM

Did Betty Rea cast Ellen "Sominex" Parker?

by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2021 12:24 AM

Liz, darling! So nice to see you back where you belong!

I liked Liz too. But I know I'm in a relative minority.

I actually thought Sherry was a bit one note when she first came on - fun, but a little too cartoonish at first - but she was definitely at her best versus Jerry ver Dorn or with her on screen parents. But Sherry's Blake and Ross would have likely been just a notch on Blake's bedpost, where I really believed that Blake and Ross were in love, with Liz in the role.

For me, when Holly had the scene with Blake where she admitted she didn't love her - that was when Liz became Blake for me. I know that Sherry might have played this with more of a chip on her shoulder, breaking down in private. But then again, this scene might not have worked with Sherry at all. It rang true for all the characters, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 22, 2021 12:24 AM

Donna, dear,

You've got an excellent point. They wrote the story that Blake was seducing Ross to get back at her mother. If Sherry had stayed in the role, Ross would have been a brief fling at best for Blake. But with Liz in the role, they kept Blake and Ross together.

I figured they backburnered Blake and left her with Ross to give the audience time to adjust to Liz in the role. I assumed a break up would be down the line. But instead, to my surprise, they kept them together. Go figure.

But these are the same writers that paired Ed with Eve Guthrie rather than bring back Rita or Claire and even put Ed and Holly back together. So, I guess I shouldn't be surprised the left Blake and Ross togehter.

by Anonymousreply 96April 22, 2021 12:33 AM

As much as I like Stacey Edson, few characters in the history of soaps were more unnecessary than Eve Guthrie. She was just such an "iron on" character, with no connections or purpose. A bookend to Tangie Hill.

Agree that Rita or Claire would have been a welcome return at that time.

by Anonymousreply 97April 22, 2021 12:39 AM

Alan Locher (Locher Room) said he has reached out to Michelle Forbes AND Nicholas Coster is coming soon

by Anonymousreply 98April 22, 2021 12:56 AM

R98 Wait, Michelle Forbes agreed? If so, OMG. Yes!

Sherry was the best Blake because Blake was best when played by Sherry. Liz grew in the role but Blake was never as interesting when Liz was playing her. Liz was never the actress Sherry was.

by Anonymousreply 99April 22, 2021 1:38 AM

R99 he said he reached out to Michelle Forbes - no word if she agreed

by Anonymousreply 100April 22, 2021 3:11 AM

I can’t imagine Michelle will do the Locher Room but having her on with Zimmer would be wild.

Michelle was one of the most dynamic, interesting , and exotic actresses on daytime. It didn’t hurt she played two great characters with a story so twisty it can’t ever truly be told.

by Anonymousreply 101April 22, 2021 3:24 AM

Power bottom Locher should reach out to Jill Farren Phelps. We know that he’s scared of her.

by Anonymousreply 102April 22, 2021 3:29 AM

Sonni looked like she was going to snap in half when the walls were closing in.

by Anonymousreply 103April 22, 2021 3:40 AM

Michelle Forbes on Guiding Light was effing heaven. I do think, initially, Zimmer made her up her game. But, damn, Forbes upped it and then some making Zimmer up hers. She was so good, and her story so intense, it nearly broke her. I need to hear her take on things.

by Anonymousreply 104April 22, 2021 4:03 AM

R81 I agree, Sherry was excellent. And her Blake had blazing hot chemistry with Ross, which Liz Keifer’s Blake never did.

by Anonymousreply 105April 22, 2021 4:05 AM

Michelle Forbes had mental issues.

by Anonymousreply 106April 22, 2021 4:09 AM

Initially I thought Sherry was a terrible recast. She was a quick learner and soon developed into a highly entertaining actress. You could see her being an Alexis Carrington one day. Not to rehash the Sherry/Liz thing but it never seemed like the same character after Sherry left.

by Anonymousreply 107April 22, 2021 4:19 AM

Eve Guthrie was brought on to be a foil in the Nick-Mindy romance. Eve debuted in May 1992 and was just beginning to pose a threat to Nick and Mindy when Kimberly Simms departed the show in July 1992.

That put the kabosh on a Nick-Mindy-Eve triangle. They tried pairing Eve and Nick for a little while after that, but the two didn't have much chemistry.

So, I guess the show tried to salvage the character by pairing her with Ed. Although, personally, I figured they should have tried doing a Ross-Eve-Blake triangle.

by Anonymousreply 108April 22, 2021 4:49 AM

Hilary Edson is stunning

she was an extra at the prom in 1983 with Rick, Mindy, Phillip, and Beth

by Anonymousreply 109April 22, 2021 5:20 AM

I HATE MEGHAN!

by Anonymousreply 110April 22, 2021 5:31 AM

Ain't that a kick in the cunt!

Here's a thread someone started about lesbian actresses in daytime.

And people are talking about me on that thread. Imagine that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 22, 2021 10:43 AM

Why hasn’t Alan reached out to ME?!? I am a little North Carolina preacher’s daughter who made it BIG in the city!!! I negotiated special billing and my character didn’t need a last name!!

by Anonymousreply 112April 22, 2021 11:34 AM

Please tell me about the torrid love affair between Joel Crothers and Velekka Gray. Such a handsome couple.

by Anonymousreply 113April 22, 2021 1:11 PM

Phillip's pendulous cock should have been shown at the opening and closing of the show.

by Anonymousreply 114April 22, 2021 1:27 PM

Grant’s pendulum touches the water when he sits down to shit.

by Anonymousreply 115April 22, 2021 1:29 PM

Like this, but with the pendulousness showing instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 22, 2021 1:32 PM

AND Lisa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117April 22, 2021 1:46 PM

R117, who had the most pendulous dong in Oakdale?

by Anonymousreply 118April 22, 2021 3:04 PM

Grandpa Hughes has major BDF.

by Anonymousreply 119April 22, 2021 4:25 PM

I would guess either Seth Snyder or Kirk Anderson.

I mean, Holden's was pretty but pretty doesn't mean humungous.

by Anonymousreply 120April 22, 2021 4:30 PM

Austin Peck has always been one of my huge soap crushes. Something about his look, his swagger, telegraphs huge endowment.

by Anonymousreply 121April 22, 2021 4:59 PM

Henderson Forsythe had a huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 122April 22, 2021 4:59 PM

Is he coming out any time soon?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 22, 2021 5:08 PM

I want Mark Collier inside me quite deeply. Does he have a husband?

by Anonymousreply 124April 22, 2021 5:36 PM

Mark Collier is straight fyi. I have more news for you...just about all the daytime actors you've fantasized about over the years are straight. A soap gig is a great job for a straight actor who wants to get married and have kids, since it affords them pretty regular hours and allows them to be home to have dinner with the family. If you're looking for gay actors, I suggest you check the off-Broadway theaters. Way off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 125April 22, 2021 6:26 PM

R123 Mark might “play” straight but the things he did in the men’s restroom in the Westway dinner about 15 years ago sure seemed gay to me.

by Anonymousreply 126April 22, 2021 6:38 PM

Oh please, r126. Your feverish little mind is working overtime.

by Anonymousreply 127April 22, 2021 6:45 PM

Mark is nearing 50 and never married. Hmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 128April 22, 2021 8:06 PM

Lots of actors who are getting up there never married. They are simply straight and married to their careers. Look at AMC's Jean LeClerc for example. He's never been married but was romantically linked to co-star Kate Collins, so he is straight. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 129April 22, 2021 8:12 PM

Look at Joel Crothers and Velekka Gray. Totally in love and engaged. A real true love that has never died.

by Anonymousreply 130April 22, 2021 9:29 PM

Exactly, r130, however that is a bit different. Joel and Velekka were actually engaged to be married when he became ill with terminal cancer. I don't think she ever quite got over that loss.

by Anonymousreply 131April 22, 2021 9:37 PM

[quote] Michelle Forbes had mental issues.

You'd recognize crazy, you loony ass bitch.

by Anonymousreply 132April 22, 2021 9:58 PM

R121 the virtual garden of eden storyline on DAYS occurred just as I was awakening and realizing I was gay. I jerked off furiously to it.

by Anonymousreply 133April 22, 2021 10:01 PM

Did anyone watch the Reardon reunion yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 134April 22, 2021 10:03 PM

Michael Woods has lost his looks. Harley Kozak is kind of looney. Ellen Dolan got fat.

by Anonymousreply 135April 22, 2021 10:35 PM

When is the Lisa Brown interview? Didn't Miss Locher already have Michael Tylo on. Perhaps he can do a Nola/Quint reunion.

by Anonymousreply 136April 22, 2021 11:01 PM

Okay then.

by Anonymousreply 137April 23, 2021 12:12 AM

R129, excellent point. He's my 'go to' whenever I explain to pals that all soap actors are straight.

by Anonymousreply 138April 23, 2021 1:27 AM

R121, I recall in the 1990s DAYS, OLTL, and ATWT being opposite each other.

ATWT had a brief period of glory when Lisa was suing John and the aftermath. OLTL was riding high revisiting Viki and Niki and Dorian...I remember switching back and forth and then on DAYS, there's Austin bed with Carrie; it's the prologue and he's just lying there shirtless, stirring. The camera just held on him....had to be a minute or so of just a gratuitous shot of him, those pink nipples staring out at me.

Reilly was a freakin' genius.

by Anonymousreply 139April 23, 2021 1:31 AM

Uh, Jean LeClerc was gayer than a Richard Simmons fart.

by Anonymousreply 140April 23, 2021 1:43 AM

R140.

I know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141April 23, 2021 2:28 AM

R139 Reilly’s DAYS was my favorite soap ever (it was also my first). It was like the heroin that Billie was forcibly injected with.

by Anonymousreply 142April 23, 2021 3:11 AM

Leclerc can never be forgiven for dumping that hottie on RH who was HIV+. The guy is still alive, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 143April 23, 2021 3:39 AM

What are you babbling on about, r143?

by Anonymousreply 144April 23, 2021 3:45 AM

I can never remember who dumped who on that one.

by Anonymousreply 145April 23, 2021 3:46 AM

R141 between the loon(s) and people trolling it's hard to be sure these days.

by Anonymousreply 146April 23, 2021 3:47 AM

As asked on the other thread....which one of you bitches commented on this post as "Ada Hobson's Dishtowel?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 23, 2021 3:49 AM

If Alan gets Michelle Forbes who will be on with her? If not Zimmer, it would still be interesting but with Zimmer it would be must see.

by Anonymousreply 148April 23, 2021 4:08 AM

Christopher Durham played Dakota on Ryan’s Hope. He was living with Jean LeClerc. Durham tested HIV+. LeClerc dumped him, threw him out of his apartment. Durham is still alive. Need it to be any clearer?

by Anonymousreply 149April 23, 2021 4:14 AM

Michelle Forbes' last episode killed me; Josh brings Marah to say goodbye to Sonni at the airport; they can't kiss good bye or it'd confuse Marah; after the leave, Sonni checks on departure time; clerk says to her 'smoking or non' and the camera holds on Michelle -- was she Sonni or Solita deep down?

Classic.

Here's a scene where you can tell Zimmer delivers a line differently than she did in rehearsal and Forbes laughs; hopefully, they got along IRL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150April 23, 2021 4:55 AM

and here's the next part

how spoiled we were...Forbes, Zimmer. McKinsey all on a given day together.

Today....?

Paris farted out a smoothie.

DAYS is uneven.

Y&R...Abby's baby...Kyle doesn't care he's a dad... Elena needs to stop sleeping with guys b/c of the PTSD; Y&R is horrible.

GH is the only one I can watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151April 23, 2021 5:01 AM

Ugh. McKunty.

by Anonymousreply 152April 23, 2021 7:16 AM

That last scene with Michelle Forbes is indeed a classic. Sonni/Solita really had it all in a storyline. Powerhouse. Even though its ratings weren’t bad, GL’s ratings weren’t where they should have been during this time. It was high quality. That story alone deserved a huge ratings spike. I think so many had left GL because of the horrible ‘86/‘87 season. That did real damage to the show.

by Anonymousreply 153April 23, 2021 11:21 AM

Yep, Infinity was one of the stupidest ideas for a storyline EVAH.

by Anonymousreply 154April 23, 2021 2:11 PM

R149 No need to hiss, dear. I knew the gist of it. But it's been repeated wrong over the years here as to who the dumper and dumpee was. You were ever so kind to clear it up.

by Anonymousreply 155April 23, 2021 2:39 PM

R148 I don't know what their personal relationship was, but it would be something if Joe Breen appeared with Michelle.

To be honest, both of their stories are so amazing they could probably each do an hour solo. The possible pitfall of that, of course, is that the conversation lags and then you have time to kill with an uncooperative guest.

by Anonymousreply 156April 23, 2021 2:41 PM

Go away Serial Monticello mental whack job. No wonder your people put you away against your will. You live to fight. Sick bastard.

by Anonymousreply 157April 23, 2021 2:52 PM

Dumb Dylan is an exhausting idiot. But allmc2008 is a true dumbass. Dude is taking typing classes at Northwestern and using looney tunes SON posters for research and telling them to scan soap opera digests. He thinks he is bff with kay alden. Poor kay must get all kinds of requests from dumb queens trying to make it big in Chicago like she, bill bell, and irna did.What does a. citation look like for “vee is an asshole?” Vee is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 158April 23, 2021 2:57 PM

Our resident loon is being extra ranty lately.....and is dropping clues about who they are in real life.

*suspenseful cue music plays as La Loon stares angrily into the camera*

by Anonymousreply 159April 23, 2021 3:21 PM

Wut is there identitties? These are a tru Aprill swweeops missteurry. lol I luv adam numann

by Anonymousreply 160April 23, 2021 3:51 PM

If Phillip had not been killed off, how would it have changed GL? Would the show have stayed on the air any longer ?

by Anonymousreply 161April 23, 2021 4:06 PM

It needed to be more than keep Phillip.

The show needed to regroup, get the families back together; tell stories that people could relate to.

I go back to how Doug re-energized ATWT in 1985.

He came in right after Bob and Kim re-wed, but he built on that (not sure if he was doing some uncredited consulting earlier in 1985)

The year 1986 for ATWT was brilliant. Everything was firing on all cylinders

by Anonymousreply 162April 23, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote] Christopher Durham played Dakota on Ryan’s Hope. He was living with Jean LeClerc. Durham tested HIV+. LeClerc dumped him, threw him out of his apartment.

Is that the reason he was written out of Ryan's Hope? He was such a great villain and stirring up so much trouble, then all of a sudden he was written out.

Then to add insult to injury, they invited almost everyone back for the finale, except Chris Durham

by Anonymousreply 163April 23, 2021 4:10 PM

amc2008 is an idiot. on SON he posted videos of himself whacking off on chaturbate. does kay know?

by Anonymousreply 164April 23, 2021 4:20 PM

Wasn’t Chris Durham on ATWT when Ryan’s Hope was taping its last episodes. He was playing Glenn Harrington’s brother, who was involved with Shannon.

by Anonymousreply 165April 23, 2021 5:34 PM

amc2008 is so fucking homely like Alan Sarapa. Who the fuck would want to see him jerk off?????? Good god. Anyone in power laughs at the soap fans. We certainly earn the laughs. No one in charge ever takes us seriously. Vee and Dumb Dylan are changing the soap genre!

by Anonymousreply 166April 23, 2021 5:51 PM

[quote] Wasn’t Chris Durham on ATWT when Ryan’s Hope was taping its last episodes. He was playing Glenn Harrington’s brother, who was involved with Shannon.

the final episodes of Ryan's Hope was filmed December of 1988 - Durham didn't appear on ATWT until the spring of 1989

by Anonymousreply 167April 23, 2021 7:12 PM

re: that last episode of RH, apparently, Helen/Maeve asking everyone to chime in with Danny Boy was an ad lib and most of the cast didn't know the words..

Oh, Danny Boy...the...mrhhd rrrahh...rirght; ththat

by Anonymousreply 168April 23, 2021 7:15 PM

The funeral scene with Olivia yelling at Phillip's casket shows just how intense the then-feud with GA and CC was.....it was clearly muted enough for them to do a few scenes when he came back but still....wow

by Anonymousreply 169April 23, 2021 7:54 PM

CC is a cunt. Grant’s fine and sends his love.

by Anonymousreply 170April 23, 2021 8:40 PM

Here are Grant and Crystal in their prime

Olivia CANNOT forgive Phillip for doubting her so, she's moved on. He is begging for forgiveness and crashes her lamaze class.

They look great together. Of course, the end game was always Beth, but the avenues taken along the way are interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 23, 2021 8:44 PM

here's where they worked together again in the final days

I follow them both on FB and I've seen him 'like' on some of her posts; possibly vice versa

I'll never understand actors or the dynamics between them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172April 23, 2021 8:48 PM

I wouldn't blame actors for having passionate feuds. We don't know what personal things are happening, the pressures of other coworkers, job security, etc. And sometimes things spill over. I'm sure when HBS and Colleen Zenk had their slapfest at ATWT in the 80s it was a combo of personal feelings and the animosity their characters had for each other.

by Anonymousreply 173April 23, 2021 8:51 PM

What the fuck is this thread about?! Prince Philip?

by Anonymousreply 174April 23, 2021 8:57 PM

What is this thread about?

by Anonymousreply 175April 23, 2021 9:01 PM

No, R174.

If you know, you know. If you do not, move it along, toots.

by Anonymousreply 176April 23, 2021 9:01 PM

I assume whichever one of you left this in the shirtless jogger thread meant it for here

[quote] HBS and Zenk were one of the best pairings on screen for feuds; Margo, doubting her beauty, being a cop and all v beautiful Barbara. "the living picture of what every woman would love to look like just once in their lives -- I gotta get outta here before I throw up all over you."

by Anonymousreply 177April 23, 2021 9:09 PM

HBS hated the way CZ cheated.

by Anonymousreply 178April 23, 2021 9:11 PM

R174, yes. There is only one Prince Phillip.

by Anonymousreply 179April 23, 2021 9:35 PM

R177, ug; yes, thanks, that was me.

ty

HBS and Zenk were one of the best pairings on screen for feuds; Margo, doubting her beauty, being a cop and all v beautiful Barbara. "the living picture of what every woman would love to look like just once in their lives -- I gotta get outta here before I throw up all over you."

by Anonymousreply 180April 23, 2021 9:42 PM

Well, ain't r176 a kick in the cunt!

by Anonymousreply 181April 24, 2021 12:10 AM

Tony winner Alice Ripley confronts Holly (Maureen Garrett) saying

"You bitch, you stole my man!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 24, 2021 12:16 AM

Remember that time Stepford and Bald left eight month old George in London while they holidayed in the Maldives for two weeks? Callous bastards. Harry and Meghan have never left Archie, even for a weekend.

by Anonymousreply 183April 24, 2021 12:21 AM

R183 wrong thread, dear.

by Anonymousreply 184April 24, 2021 2:05 AM

I loathed few GL stories as much as I loathed Holly, Fletcher and Meg.

by Anonymousreply 185April 24, 2021 2:06 AM

^That was McTavish, right? Her stories are so transparently plot-driven. She helped to destroy AMC.

by Anonymousreply 186April 24, 2021 2:07 AM

Isn’t Megan McTavish of the lesbian persuasion?

by Anonymousreply 187April 24, 2021 2:59 AM

ick is she family? We don't want her.

by Anonymousreply 188April 24, 2021 3:05 AM

Yeah the Meg story was for what? It was never going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 189April 24, 2021 3:14 AM

I remember one plot point that was supposed to happen with Meg but didn't thanks to fan outrage. While Rauch was producer Matt/Vanessa had a daughter (Maureen) who was born prematurely and needed a kidney transplant to survive.

If I remember correctly, the original story was that Meg was supposed to die and be the donor. Something about a car accident? Maybe Fletcher was supposed to die too and that's how they'd write them off. The details are a little fuzzy.

Fans caught wind of it as they do and objected to killing the downs syndrome baby, so they changed the story, spared Meg, and made Holly the donor. They used this to 'connect' her with Maureen and thus get overly attached, leading eventually to the idiotic story where she kidnaps the kids of Springfield.

I think that plot got changed too. It was originally supposed to be her obsessed with just Maureen and absconding with her, but somehow it turned into her kidnapping all the kids within a 50 mile radius. Morons.

by Anonymousreply 190April 24, 2021 4:01 AM

I loved Mindy when they introduced Philip in the stables and she said “what a beautiful animal”.. Beth was a boring wimp. I also like Nola and Kelly ended up with boring Morgan “You needed me”

by Anonymousreply 191April 24, 2021 4:19 AM

Thread is full of 80 yr olds talking about an ancient showm

by Anonymousreply 192April 24, 2021 4:52 AM

I just nodded off thinking about Maureen Bauer. She tended to have that effect on viewers. Best decision JFP ever made, bar none!

by Anonymousreply 193April 24, 2021 4:57 AM

R191 I don’t think Beth was boring or a wimp. Clearly, if you watched, it was the opposite. She drove a lot of story (maybe too much) and helped GL jump in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 194April 24, 2021 4:57 AM

r190 The baby Meg dies to save baby Maureen storyline was merely a ripoff GH's young BJ dies to save Maxie storyline done a few years earlier. The audience protested it and reportedly the actors did too -- the GH storyline was the gold standard and the story GL was proposing was far inferior to the original.

The HWs (Brown and Essenstein) reworked the story to have Holly give her kidney to baby Maureen. But that story made absolutely no sense since Holly was an adult and Maureen was a baby.

How can an adult kidney fit in the body of a baby? They never even tried to address that; just ignored and charged forward with the story.

by Anonymousreply 195April 24, 2021 5:04 AM

Once you hit all the educational beats in a social issue storyline, it's time to move on.

Doug Marland wrote Margo's HIV rape and played out all the raw emotions, the fear, the dealing with mortality.

He brought on Dawn, another of Elroy Nevins' victims, who was positive as a contrast to Margo who was negative probably because -- and this was the most sexually descriptive line ever uttered on daytime TV (by Audrey Samuels): "Margo, fortunately, Elroy Nevins ejaculated on your thigh."

by Anonymousreply 196April 24, 2021 8:14 PM

But didn't Margo still get Hep from him? So he must have cum somewhat inside Margo. (fictionally)

by Anonymousreply 197April 24, 2021 10:39 PM

R195 Liz, you're bringing back the bad flashbacks of that story! It was just so bad. So, so bad.

by Anonymousreply 198April 24, 2021 10:39 PM

r197 well he WAS inside her

by Anonymousreply 199April 24, 2021 10:49 PM

Okay, let's not think any more about that....

by Anonymousreply 200April 25, 2021 12:02 AM

We were spoiled with the likes of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201April 25, 2021 12:12 AM

^Spoiled? LOL! That scene was horribly written and acted. Did you people actually watch soaps for the stories? I watched for the hunky eye candy, that's really all they're good for.

by Anonymousreply 202April 25, 2021 2:00 AM

R202 Eye rolls isn’t adequate for that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 203April 25, 2021 2:19 AM

^meant “aren’t” adequate

by Anonymousreply 204April 25, 2021 2:19 AM

McKunty was horrible. That voice. Ugh!!!!

by Anonymousreply 205April 25, 2021 2:29 AM

I don't get the great love for McKinsey. She was good on AW, but she just always seemed to be phoning it in on GL. Her line delivery in that scene was very mechanical. You guys take these shows way too seriously. I understand that for the more damaged gay men among us, the families on these shows became your surrogate families, replacing the families that rejected you for being gay. I get that, but the material is so awful. Do you just look past the inferior writing because these people became your replacement families?

by Anonymousreply 206April 25, 2021 3:28 AM

R203 I have that nonsense blocked.

by Anonymousreply 207April 25, 2021 4:22 PM

God you soap people are severely damaged. Taking criticism to heart about a dumb character on a stupid soap. You're lol crazy.

by Anonymousreply 208April 25, 2021 4:28 PM

Beverlee McKinsey was one of the finest actresses to ever grace daytime.

by Anonymousreply 209April 25, 2021 4:37 PM

I was better and more popular.

by Anonymousreply 210April 25, 2021 4:50 PM

lalala

by Anonymousreply 211April 25, 2021 4:51 PM

LOL at r209. That's like saying you have the prettiest turd in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 212April 25, 2021 4:51 PM

Another excellent scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213April 25, 2021 4:58 PM

Yes, scenes full of exposition meant to recap the stupid plot are just always so excellent.

by Anonymousreply 214April 25, 2021 5:06 PM

McKinsey was mediocre, at best.

by Anonymousreply 215April 25, 2021 7:19 PM

In every scene Bev telegraphs "I'm just doing this crap for the paycheck." No one who works in daytime actually thinks the material is any good. Some of the actors try and elevate it, but let's be honest, the storytelling is inferior and the dialogue wretched.

by Anonymousreply 216April 25, 2021 7:44 PM

Anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 217April 25, 2021 8:36 PM

R216, they were just grinding out the sausage at the sausage factory and the bosses had active disdain for the customers .

by Anonymousreply 218April 26, 2021 1:48 AM

Did someone mention sausage?

by Anonymousreply 219April 28, 2021 1:57 AM

new thread here (yes the Doctors is not technically P&G but Doctors chat is always welcome here)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220April 28, 2021 10:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!