Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Catnip for DL: A Hamilton Chorus Boy’s Lament

The Unraveling of a Dream My life in the cast of Hamilton: An American Musical

daniel james belnavis

[TW: racism, mental illness, heterosexism, sexual assault, self-harm]

“There is an extreme lack of intersectionality within the gatekeepers of Hamilton which drastically juxtaposes the highly intersectional identities of the Black and Brown actors they employ and continue to get rich off of.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442November 14, 2022 1:26 PM

[quote] "There is an extreme lack of intersectionality"

This polysyllabic phrase had me groaning.

Is 'intersectionality' an abstract concept? Can I touch it?

by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2021 11:52 PM

Intershecshonality.

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote] continue to get rich off of

I'm guessing this chorus boy played truant during the English grammar lessons at high school.

by Anonymousreply 3March 19, 2021 11:58 PM

This is really a sad read. This kid is mentally ill. Why they feel they need to go online to share all this is horrifying. This will haunt him for the rest of his life.

And Intersectionality is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2021 11:59 PM

Intersectionality is a ploy to destabilise our society.

Kamala and Old Joe are running around like cats in a bag trying to please the Intersectionalist idiots.

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2021 12:02 AM

The Chorus Boy should upload his lament to YouTube.

Perhaps he could perform his lament using the medium of Modern Dance rather than face the agony of using the English language.

by Anonymousreply 6March 20, 2021 12:16 AM

R4 intersectionality isn’t bullshit at all. You look at the trends within people suffering from HIV / AIDs in the US today and tell me intersectionality doesn’t exist. Ye thick.

by Anonymousreply 7March 20, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote] people suffering from HIV / AIDs

Are they taking their medication?

by Anonymousreply 8March 20, 2021 12:19 AM

What is this young man complaining about?

I don't have the time to read a thousand words of whining.

Was he paid correctly? Was he fed and clothed? Was he given a roof over his head?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 20, 2021 12:24 AM

𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒚 definition is - the complex, cumulative way in which the effects of multiple forms of discrimination (such as racism, sexism, and classism) combine, overlap, or intersect especially in the experiences of marginalized individuals or groups.

ie -Why's everybody always pickin' on me

by Anonymousreply 10March 20, 2021 12:29 AM

“There is an extreme sectionality...off of”.

This is the most American sentence that I have ever read.

by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2021 12:31 AM

The reality of intersectionality does not excuse the word "intersectionality."

The word confuses the presence of complex overlaps of domains and projects human complexity as a 2-d graph. It only considers risk factors and not possible protective factors by being included in several subgroups, no matter how conflictive they are as well.

by Anonymousreply 12March 20, 2021 12:34 AM

R12 I overheard a child in the playground whining "Your skimmernating genst me!"

I don't think children should not be allowed to play with words they don't comprehend.

by Anonymousreply 13March 20, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote]The white leadership of the Angelica Company knowingly put a Black actor who was currently in psychiatric treatment six hours a day, five days a week, while also recovering from the flu, onstage in front of thousands of people performing a role which he explicitly expressed discomfort with. In doing so, they endangered both my mental and physical well-being and illustrated just how little my Black-gay-mentally-ill-life mattered to them.

So he got a job and didn't like it.

Here's your next job: Table 2 wants another side of ranch dressing, and Table 5 is still waiting for their check.

by Anonymousreply 14March 20, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote] Black actor … psychiatric treatment six hours a day, five days a week …recovering from the flu,… in front of thousands of people…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 20, 2021 12:44 AM

I think intersectionality is a perfectly fine concept, when used appropriately, as people like Kimberley Crenshaw does in critical legal studies, to get at how inhabiting or being viewed in simultaneous multiple identity categories produces conditions different from simply adding them together. It’s tiresome and self-victimizing when used, as this writer does, to compete in the oppression Olympics.

It is also irresponsible of whoever published to have done so, given the obvious mental fragility of the writer. It’s exploitative of his delusions of grandeur—he was basically the chorus boy cast to fill the stage and he thinks he’s ready to move into a principal role? And when given the chance to show what he could do in a marginally larger role, he resents it, blows it, and runs out of the theater?

Does he realize the odds of him EVER getting cast in another Equity production are now slim to none? Good luck to his agent even submitting him. Casting is a small world and word gets around. There is such a surplus of talented and un/detemployef acuprs (including POC) that who would want to take on the burden of this mess?

by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote]Perhaps if there had been more understanding, the gatekeepers of Hamilton would have realized how endlessly triggering my lived experience in the show could be.

EFFIE WE ALL GOT PAIN!

by Anonymousreply 17March 20, 2021 12:56 AM

R16 This chorus boy could switch profession and be a professional media victim like Megan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 18March 20, 2021 1:02 AM

Was this a parody?

by Anonymousreply 19March 20, 2021 2:16 AM

He is complaining about many things, but particularly about being cast as Man 6, a "marginalized" role:

Man 6 is the most marginalized ensemble role in Hamilton–– a marginality that is written into the very fabric of the show. Within the hierarchy of Hamilton, he is of the lowest status. This low status is reinforced and maintained through a consciously imposed structure that informs the practices, rhetoric, and decisions associated with the role. This effectively insinuates that the Black male actors playing Man 6 are of low status themselves and can be exploited accordingly, thus curating a culture of institutionalized racism that reflects the larger institutionalized racism of the United States.

Man 6 is almost always on the edge of the stage or singing from the wings. He is commonly referred to as the “shadow track”. I was told early on in the process that the role was “cuttable if need be”. During a tech rehearsal, I got a note to “be less noticeable” as I merely walked across the stage from the furthest upstage-right wing to the furthest upstage-left wing during the seconds-long transition between “Right Hand Man” and “Helpless” — a moment in which I could not have been less noticeable if I tried.

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2021 2:24 AM

R10, that is not what intersectionality means in this context.

As others have said, it means our identitys overlap. I don't stop being a white man when I am being a gay man. I am a white gay man, which is different than being a white straight man, a white gay woman, a black gay man, etc.

Basically it means identity is so complex that you cannot pull apart one particular quality and say that explains everything.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2021 2:33 AM

The writer of the piece also does not understand what intersectionality means. How can there be a lack of it?

Unless he means that there were people on the team without a gender, or a race, or a title, or a sexual orientation, etc.

by Anonymousreply 22March 20, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote]drastically juxtaposes the highly intersectional identities of the Black and Brown actors they employ and continue to get rich off of.”

Juxtaposes them with WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 23March 20, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote]This effectively insinuates that the Black male actors playing Man 6 are of low status themselves

Then shouldn't it be called Mandingo 6?

by Anonymousreply 24March 20, 2021 2:58 AM

Another fine graduate of the Tonya Pinkins School of Acting (Like A Pain In The Ass)

by Anonymousreply 25March 20, 2021 2:58 AM

intersectionality is so state college 2016, elite college 2003

by Anonymousreply 26March 20, 2021 2:58 AM

There's a disgruntled chorus boy for every light on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2021 3:03 AM

A summary:

He accepted a job where the creative team and management were mostly white, and he hated working for white people.

He accepted a job as Man 6, a role that wasn't showy, and was angry and insulted that nobody paid much attention to him.

He suffered a trauma and undertook extensive psychiatric treatment during the day, and was angry that the managers of Hamilton let him keep his job.

He was angry that he was kept in the Man 6 role for ages and wasn't promoted, and when he was promoted, he didn't like it and got very angry.

Underneath all the SJW language you find the old proverb, "There's no pleasing some people".

by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2021 3:06 AM

Take back your mink, take back your pearls, what made you thin that I was one of those girls.

by Anonymousreply 29March 20, 2021 3:07 AM

Does Stanislavski's "There are no small parts, only small actors" hold true for marginalized parts too?

by Anonymousreply 30March 20, 2021 3:07 AM

Jesus Christ, this bitch is complaining in one paragraph about how horrible his job is and how awful white people are, and then in the next paragraph, he's complaining he wants to move up in the same said company run by white people and is pissed when he's not considered.

What a fucking exhausting drama queen.

If there's any privilege in this article, this bitch should feel privileged to have had a fucking job on the Hamilton tour. How amazing on a resume that looks.

I'm sure there were countless others who came to work, rolled their eyes at some of the things they didn't like - at any job - and did their fucking job.

by Anonymousreply 31March 20, 2021 3:10 AM

[quote]Man 6 is the most marginalized ensemble role in Hamilton–– a marginality that is written into the very fabric of the show. Within the hierarchy of Hamilton, he is of the lowest status. This low status is reinforced and maintained through a consciously imposed structure that informs the practices, rhetoric, and decisions associated with the role. This effectively insinuates that the Black male actors playing Man 6 are of low status themselves and can be exploited accordingly

Let's see, who wrote the show? If I recall correctly, it wasn't a white man.

by Anonymousreply 32March 20, 2021 3:14 AM

He says white people are horrible.

Who does he hook up with?

Let me guess, white men??

by Anonymousreply 33March 20, 2021 3:16 AM

You may be surrounded by white people, but the money they are paying you is green!

by Anonymousreply 34March 20, 2021 3:18 AM

I couldn't finish it. It's very sad. The young man is badly damaged, but not by HAMILTON.

Standing on stage and being applauded by 2,000 people, 8 times a week, is not going to fill the hole in his life. It never does. But show biz is filled with people who that it will They are certain they are being denied the recognition they... so.. richly... deserve! And perhaps they are. But they are not being denied by the theater. The theater owes you nothing. The theater doesn't care.

He won't have to worry about it anymore. No casting director will touch this guy. His agent will dump him soon, or he will get pissed off and dump his agent. And that will be the end of him. Except...

Except for when he turns this essay into his one man show.

by Anonymousreply 35March 20, 2021 3:19 AM

R14 You made my day. Spot on.

by Anonymousreply 36March 20, 2021 3:25 AM

How do they treat him at his other job (Cater Waiter)?

by Anonymousreply 37March 20, 2021 3:28 AM

I'm not 100% sure if he's for real or of this is just some elaborate shit post.

by Anonymousreply 38March 20, 2021 3:28 AM

[quote]The word confuses the presence of complex overlaps of domains and projects human complexity as a 2-d graph. It only considers risk factors and not possible protective factors by being included in several subgroups, no matter how conflictive they are as well.

Charlie Brown, you were specifically told NOT to bring along that wet blanket, Linus.

by Anonymousreply 39March 20, 2021 3:29 AM

" I had been suppressing the trauma of the assault since it happened. Only a small handful of my castmates, along with the show’s company management and security team, knew about it."

The guy CAN'T be gay. A professional victim yes, but not gay.

by Anonymousreply 40March 20, 2021 3:33 AM

This guy is one step away from boiling somone's rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 41March 20, 2021 3:38 AM

He seems tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 42March 20, 2021 3:38 AM

The teachers who taught him how to write all that boilerplate claptrap should have taught him brevity and straightforward address to a target reader. Target readers should be people who sustain the hegemony that oppresses him. Instead he addresses other woke people. Preaching to the converted. Which is odd in a show girl, because a successful young performer plays to the people who need persuading.

by Anonymousreply 43March 20, 2021 3:40 AM

[quote]The guy CAN'T be gay. A professional victim yes, but not gay.

Since when are those things mutually exclusive? He says himself that he is a black gay man.

Either way, he's definitely the biggest MARY! I've encountered in quite awhile.

by Anonymousreply 44March 20, 2021 3:41 AM

[quote]I'm not 100% sure if he's for real or of this is just some elaborate shit post.

Oh, he's for real. This exact attitude has roiled the Chicago theater community in recent years. The Chicago Sun-Times cut its longtime theater reviewer after several theater companies found her problematic:

[quote][bold]Hedy Weiss, theatre critic for the Chicago Sun-Times, has proven that she is not willing to work with us to create a positive environment.[/bold] She has proven this repeatedly with the racism, homophobia, and body shaming found in her reviews. She has proven this by never, not once, apologizing to a party injured by her words.

And if you want a shit show, check out the implosion of Second City's "A Red Line Runs Through It," which had four of the six cast members up and quit over racial/gender/orientation reasons, and the one straight white guy in the cast sue Second City for "racial discrimination in the workplace."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2021 3:44 AM

So now he's complaining about having to work under the guise of racism? He should be grateful he was even employed to move around stage, while his fellow coworkers are waiting tables at 50% capacity.

I also am underapperciated and unimportant at work. You know what I do? Look at my paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2021 3:44 AM

He seems fat adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2021 3:47 AM

By the way, someone should mention the name of the pathetic, mentally ill fellow who wrote this screed somewhere in the thread, so none of us will forget it:

Daniel James Belnavis

by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote]If there's any privilege in this article, this bitch should feel privileged to have had a fucking job on the Hamilton tour. How amazing on a resume that looks.

Maybe not. There's some very interesting posts in the theatre thread (principally posts 178-215) from a poster with a friend within the industry, who says those in the business know that the Hamilton casts are notoriously unprofessional. So that could well mean having Hamilton on your resume is actually a negative, compared to less zeitgeisty shows which at least don't have such a reputation for poor behaviour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2021 3:49 AM

He actually sings quite well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 20, 2021 3:50 AM

Whoever came up with intersectionality should be put to death.

by Anonymousreply 51March 20, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote]In the early morning hours of January 26, 2019, I was sexually assaulted and held at gunpoint. [bold]I will not go into great detail about my assault[/bold] or its subsequent legal proceedings in this piece

Yeah, getting held up by a trick is the ONE thing he doesn't want to overexplain at length.

by Anonymousreply 52March 20, 2021 3:56 AM

[quote]I will not go into great detail about my assault or its subsequent legal proceedings in this piece.

Ace teaser for the next piece.

by Anonymousreply 53March 20, 2021 3:58 AM

Boring. They are all so fucking boring .

by Anonymousreply 54March 20, 2021 4:03 AM

[quote] He accepted a job where the creative team and management were mostly white, and he hated working for white people.

This whiner needs to seek employment with the Lavarious Slaughter Theatre Company

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 20, 2021 4:10 AM

Complaining they had people on staff as physical therapist types but not mental health. I had to work with too any white people even though a Puerto Rican guy created this.

Yes, because all workplaces where evil white people congregate secretly have those. A little secret we have been hiding.

Obviously, self-reflection is something he can't possibly do. Maybe, your attitude sucked? You aren't as great as you think you are?

I wouldn't hire this guy after reading this. No freaking way.

by Anonymousreply 56March 20, 2021 4:14 AM

R45, Hedy Weiss was problematic. Remember when she criticized the tour of Wicked for its anti-semitism. She noted that the Munchkins' costumes were clearly meant to evoke the image of the prisoners at Auschwitz. She said the musical was an "apologia for terrorism."

And she famously called Tony Kushner a self-hating Jew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 20, 2021 4:16 AM

Mr. Belnavis is a very good writer. This is a quite an impressive essay, even if I do not agree with or buy its every premise. I'm sorry for the pain he has felt, endured and held onto. I hope he can find his way with or without engagement on Broadway again. This is a story of his experience in "Hamilton." But it is much bigger than the show and begs for changes that no professional experience in any arena can personally fix.

by Anonymousreply 58March 20, 2021 4:16 AM

This complainer has persuaded me NOT to pay a lot of money to see this Hamilton show.

by Anonymousreply 59March 20, 2021 4:18 AM

He is a good writer?

by Anonymousreply 60March 20, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote]Hedy Weiss was problematic. Remember when she criticized the tour of Wicked for its anti-semitism. She noted that the Munchkins' costumes were clearly meant to evoke the image of the prisoners at Auschwitz. She said the musical was an "apologia for terrorism." And she famously called Tony Kushner a self-hating Jew.

Critics of the past often were more biting — and personal — than they are today. Not that it excuses Hedy, who often was a muddled thinker and not a particularly good writer to boot. But she covered theater full-time, and now that's she's gone, the job is gone too.

What the Chicago theater scene did was take a person whose entire job it was to let the public know about them, for free, and hack off that valuable resource. Stories and reviews in traditional media are still vital to promoting shows.

But enough about that kerfuffle. Back to the chorus boy who was so ruthlessly tortured in over 800 paid performances for which he was paid ...

by Anonymousreply 61March 20, 2021 4:31 AM

The entertainment business is brutal.

Some people just don't have the gumption for it.

He might have all the talent in the world, but he's clearly not cut out for it.

And, I hate to say it, but he may not be suited to any type of work whatsoever.

This is the type of seriously mentally ill person that probably should just stay home and collect whatever he can from the government.

by Anonymousreply 62March 20, 2021 4:39 AM

[quote]In the early morning hours of January 26, 2019, I was sexually assaulted and held at gunpoint. I will not go into great detail about my assault or its subsequent legal proceedings in this piece

Stop stealing MY shit!

by Anonymousreply 63March 20, 2021 4:42 AM

[quote] The entertainment business is brutal.… but he's clearly not cut out for it.

The profession is overcrowded, And the struggle's pretty tough And admitting the fact, He's burning to act, That isn't quite enough

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 20, 2021 4:55 AM

He seemed to not mention his credits, pre-Hamilton. No doubt, judging from his expectations, they must be vast and impressive.

by Anonymousreply 65March 20, 2021 4:58 AM

This about summarizes it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 20, 2021 5:04 AM

If you bitches really want a fight, post a comment on his instagram. The SJW's are out for blood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 20, 2021 5:31 AM

The inevitable solo show/book will be titled: "M6"

No...."Hamilton M6"

by Anonymousreply 68March 20, 2021 5:52 AM

[quote]was currently in psychiatric treatment six hours a day,

Six hours a day? That's almost like a half day in the looney bin.

Maybe you shouldn't have been working at all.

by Anonymousreply 69March 20, 2021 5:53 AM

“He’s a great writer”

by Anonymousreply 70March 20, 2021 6:04 AM

R67 The SJWs in that link adore him!

by Anonymousreply 71March 20, 2021 6:06 AM

WE SEE YOU WHITE PRODUCTION TEAM.

by Anonymousreply 72March 20, 2021 6:22 AM

R67 To whoever ddbrille in his comments is, why the fuck are you directing those frau cunts to come here?

by Anonymousreply 73March 20, 2021 6:25 AM

[quote]He is complaining about many things, but particularly about being cast as Man 6, a "marginalized" role:

Tell us about it!

by Anonymousreply 74March 20, 2021 6:26 AM

An unnamed instagrammer claims that—

[quote] Diversity strengthens everyone.

But I don't know a claim like that can be measured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 20, 2021 6:33 AM

Diversity will ruin us all!

Also, how stupid does a person have to be to read that essay and genuinely believe this is a “diversity” issue and not a “mental health” one?

by Anonymousreply 76March 20, 2021 6:36 AM

[quote] Basically it means identity is so complex that you cannot pull apart one particular quality and say that explains everything.

R21 So true and yet...

by Anonymousreply 77March 20, 2021 6:45 AM

He feels the pain when he does the Mambo...

by Anonymousreply 78March 20, 2021 6:45 AM

This guy is a twat!

by Anonymousreply 79March 20, 2021 6:49 AM

R79 😂

Seriously, I can’t keep up with the increasing levels of victimhood.

by Anonymousreply 80March 20, 2021 6:56 AM

He's the theater equivalent of a shop girl and....he's whining because he didn't get promoted to the lead.

And, he's the rare actor with a gig in one of the biggest theater hits of all time and...he's whining.

He's basically the Meghan Markle of Hamilton...."WAAAAH! I hate the Royals but I like the perks but I don't want to do what the job requires but...I LIKE THE PERKS! EVERYTHING'S NOT FAIR!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 81March 20, 2021 7:06 AM

"He is a good writer?"

No, R60, he's quite remarkably terrible. Meandering, whining, and loaded to the gills with SJW buzzwords and copied phrases.

by Anonymousreply 82March 20, 2021 7:36 AM

Victimhood may be entertaining in small doses for the SJWs on TV and on-line but it's inimical to theatre.

Theatre is about stars and entertainment.

The Marxists tried to impose democracy into theatre in the 1960s. Bertolt Brecht and Helene Weigel imposed it at the Berliner Ensemble. Laurence Olivier had to endure its heavy hand at the National Theatre.

Preaching is inimical to show business.

by Anonymousreply 83March 20, 2021 7:37 AM

There is some sublime justice in knowing that he will never get another theatre gig again. #lifeistooshortforthisbullshit

by Anonymousreply 84March 20, 2021 7:59 AM

[quote]He is a good writer?

He is. Really!

The piece is very eye-opening and gives us a peek into the workings of this megahit behind shiny coat and kumbaya fed to the public.

by Anonymousreply 85March 20, 2021 9:29 AM

The Brits strike again:

[quote]My music director for the first year and a half of the tour was a white, British man. He constantly white-man-splained Hip-Hop to us and committed multitudes of microaggressions. Once while giving the cast notes about the ensemble vocals of “Wait for It”, he told us that we sounded too urban when we sang the word, “preacher”— in other words, we sounded too Black for his liking. In working with a group of largely Black and Brown individuals, this man showed little humility, self-awareness, or deference.

Why are they everywhere? American theatre has gone on to far eclipse the British the last half-century. And don't even get me started with the musical format where the UK has never been able to hold a candle to Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 20, 2021 9:45 AM

[quote] By the way, someone should mention the name of the pathetic, mentally ill fellow who wrote this screed somewhere in the thread, so none of us will forget it:

It’s literally in the OP, you blind bat.

by Anonymousreply 87March 20, 2021 9:59 AM

First, it’s this ... [quote] I played Man 6 in the ensemble of Hamilton–– a role that is always played by a Black actor whereas most of the other ensemble roles within the show are cast with a racial variation. Then, it’s this ... [quote] I’ll never forget the time that a straight, white, male swing was supposed to make his debut as Man 6. Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 88March 20, 2021 10:01 AM

First, it’s this ...

[quote] I played Man 6 in the ensemble of Hamilton–– a role that is always played by a Black actor whereas most of the other ensemble roles within the show are cast with a racial variation.

Then, it’s this ...

[quote] I’ll never forget the time that a straight, white, male swing was supposed to make his debut as Man 6.

Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 89March 20, 2021 10:02 AM

What time is his interview with Gayle King?

by Anonymousreply 90March 20, 2021 10:19 AM

[Quote] Man 6 is the most marginalized ensemble role in Hamilton–– a marginality that is written into the very fabric of the show.

To put it in a pseudo-academic vernacular he might understand: Marginality only exists when there's also the potential to be centred and for hierarchies to shift, or when an individual or a group is intentionally excluded from the centre by those who occupy positions of centrality. This potentiality - for change, progress - is vital and necessary in a functioning, healthy society and to sustain a robust public sphere.

But a tour of a megamusical is neither of those things. It is a place of work. There's a reason why the musical is called 'Hamilton' and not 'Man 6'. The role of Man 6 is not marginalized, because Man 6 cannot ever be more than the track that has already been created and assigned. When he says 'marginalised', what he means is that it's one of the most minor roles. And so while it's true to say the minor nature of the role is written into 'the very fabric of the show', the limits and position of every EVERY role in the show is also equally written into its fabric. The basic requirement of the job is to maintain the requirements of that predetermined role. If he's unsatisfied with the marginalized nature of a role, he should go get another job, or write his own musical.

by Anonymousreply 91March 20, 2021 11:13 AM

I demand justice for Hamilton Man 6 and Woman 5!

by Anonymousreply 92March 20, 2021 11:39 AM

The guy writes like that skit in Living Color where people try to talk with as many big words as possible.

by Anonymousreply 93March 20, 2021 12:06 PM

Having skimmed through much of his drivel, I have yet to understand how he was mistreated.

by Anonymousreply 94March 20, 2021 12:11 PM

Newsflash— no one gives a flying fuck about Man 6 in a touring show.

by Anonymousreply 95March 20, 2021 12:12 PM

I remember when the complaint was that Broadway was dominated by the Jews. When did cis white men grab control?

by Anonymousreply 96March 20, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote]The teachers who taught him how to write all that boilerplate claptrap should have taught him brevity and straightforward address to a target reader.

Yes, but he's absolutely mastered contemporary victim-speak.

by Anonymousreply 97March 20, 2021 12:15 PM

[quote]Having skimmed through much of his drivel, I have yet to understand how he was mistreated.

None of the white men involved in the show would fuck him. You can tell he was thirsty for that British music director and got turned down.

by Anonymousreply 98March 20, 2021 12:15 PM

R93 I was just coming to say he reminded me of Damon Wayans’ Oswald Bates! Great minds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 20, 2021 12:17 PM

Maybe he’s just not that good...

by Anonymousreply 100March 20, 2021 12:18 PM

Here’s in with Babs Bush

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 20, 2021 12:19 PM

#Defund.Lin.Manuel.Miranda

by Anonymousreply 102March 20, 2021 12:27 PM

Countdown to Lin apologizing for the Hamilton creators' "toxic masculinity and heteronormativity" and promising "we'll do better" ...

by Anonymousreply 103March 20, 2021 12:35 PM

You’re only good enough for the chorus, Cassie!

by Anonymousreply 104March 20, 2021 12:39 PM

I was never in the chorus!

Daniel “Vera” Belnavis

by Anonymousreply 105March 20, 2021 1:01 PM

Are we at the point where a critic of the 21st Century writing about a 21st Century musical can be described as a "critic of the past?"

by Anonymousreply 106March 20, 2021 1:16 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda must be furious about being so blatantly called out by an understudy.

I would not want to be working on that show at this time. Oh, no.

by Anonymousreply 107March 20, 2021 2:08 PM

I bet there waiter #645 would love to be M6 in Hamilton.

Maybe he just didn't have what it takes to have a main role. I wish he would upload his singing onto youtube so we could see his talent.

by Anonymousreply 108March 20, 2021 2:31 PM

r94, Man 6 is the lowest of the ensemble but is understudy for G. Washington, Madison/Hercules Mulligan. (a baritone). Doesn't do much in the ensemble and is pretty much ignored in scenes. I guess just put there so he can be understudy for this vocal role. Always a black person so he's attached racism to his critique.

He has two opportunities to try out for GW and HM when the other actors left and was passed over. That is why he is complaining. I'm just wondering if he was good enough for these roles beyond being the back up.

by Anonymousreply 109March 20, 2021 2:35 PM

As an actor, I’d like to know an actor who is receiving 30 hours a week in psychiatric (!) treatment can even get a job, let alone a job that requires 8 performances a week.

by Anonymousreply 110March 20, 2021 2:41 PM

I don't think he is George Washington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 20, 2021 2:52 PM

A lot of people get intersectionality wrong. That's what happens when a complex issue like intersectionality becomes mainstream. It's not meant for mainstream discussion, which tends to be light and meant to bring in ad dollars, rather than meaningful discussion. It's a tool to use when examining media, news, etc. in detail, and it shouldn't be the only tool used.

What most DLers won't admit is that THEY'RE getting it just as wrong as the young people, college students, Twitter and Tumblr posters they're complaining about. DLers just don't like what's being said, so they lash out with complaints about "Old Joe" catering to leftists which will ruin the country blah blah blah, then they like their own post with sockpuppets and sit back while other trolls and disaffected people who are out of the loop get angrier and angrier at something that does. not. fucking. matter.

This actor is mentally unwell. Like a lot of people in his position, he's latched onto something in the popular culture and applied it to his problems.

Most of you are presumably not mentally unwell, so there's no excuse for you taking what is obviously an unimportant (but sad, in a lot of ways) article and acting as though your entire existence is being threatened by it.

by Anonymousreply 112March 20, 2021 2:54 PM

He has a nice voice but I don't really see him in those parts. He wanted GW. He has to be bigger than life. He could have been Reynold's husband or had a bigger ensemble role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 20, 2021 2:56 PM

[quote]here's no excuse for you taking what is obviously an unimportant (but sad, in a lot of ways) article and acting as though your entire existence is being threatened by it.

Odd, I've somehow missed the posts expressing such a fear.

by Anonymousreply 114March 20, 2021 2:59 PM

He's a UMich kid...What do his classmates say? That mafia always knows the tea..

by Anonymousreply 115March 20, 2021 3:30 PM

[quote]He has two opportunities to try out for GW and HM when the other actors left and was passed over. That is why he is complaining. I'm just wondering if he was good enough for these roles beyond being the back up.

Or maybe he was excellent, but they had already seen that he was a major pain in the ass. Is it possible that they felt his delicate constitution couldn't handle a larger role?

by Anonymousreply 116March 20, 2021 3:32 PM

Dance 10, looks 3, Man 6, brain-free

by Anonymousreply 117March 20, 2021 3:36 PM

I hate to discover corporate hierarchies are applied to the theatre as well. I'm a commie at heart and can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 118March 20, 2021 4:01 PM

He’s stuck as Man #6 for a reason

by Anonymousreply 119March 20, 2021 4:03 PM

I’m sure this is all a bid for an overwrought one person show in song and dance exploring the trauma he experienced by being Man 6.

by Anonymousreply 120March 20, 2021 4:06 PM

Old story Producers, team owners, studios make a big profit because they do the financing, the work and take the risks while providing opportunity and venue for talent. Others would kill for the chances this illiterate crybaby had.

by Anonymousreply 121March 20, 2021 4:09 PM

This guy is nuts or, more likely, he's not and this is how he gets positive attention in whatever crowd he's trying to appeal to.

If he just would have said "While Hamilton had a black and brown cast, nearly all the gatekeepers and behind the scenes power players were white, and that's disappointing. I hope for more diversity in that regards in the future." - I'd be on board.

But this:

"I played Man 6 in the ensemble of Hamilton–– a role that is always played by a Black actor whereas most of the other ensemble roles within the show are cast with a racial variation. In each company of the show, Man 6’s central responsibilities are holding down the baritone vocal line and understudying principal roles. I understudied George Washington, King George III, and Hercules Mulligan/James Madison.

Man 6 is the most marginalized ensemble role in Hamilton–– a marginality that is written into the very fabric of the show. Within the hierarchy of Hamilton, he is of the lowest status. This low status is reinforced and maintained through a consciously imposed structure that informs the practices, rhetoric, and decisions associated with the role. This effectively insinuates that the Black male actors playing Man 6 are of low status themselves and can be exploited accordingly, thus curating a culture of institutionalized racism that reflects the larger institutionalized racism of the United States."

The whole thing is a first draft of a college "studies" class essay.

by Anonymousreply 122March 20, 2021 4:31 PM

Intersectionality = trying to solve a complicated problem by making it even more complicated.

by Anonymousreply 123March 20, 2021 4:35 PM

Man 6... More like Cunt 10.

by Anonymousreply 124March 20, 2021 5:23 PM

“Art” that has been created by a team is always shit, no matter how “diverse” the team is. All great works of art were created by no more than two or three people. Stravinsky wrote the “The Rite of Spring” all by himself in a tiny room with a crappy piano. And the mediocre pablum you hear on the radio all day was created by a small army of grifters in a multi-million dollar studio.

by Anonymousreply 125March 20, 2021 5:58 PM

R73, Probably so they can step out of their little protective bubble in SJW-Land, and read some dissenting opinions.

by Anonymousreply 126March 20, 2021 6:30 PM

Why isn’t he blaming Lin Manuel Miranda???

He’s intersectional: he claims to be a POC (even though he’s just a white Latino) and is huge Queen despite claiming to be straight.

He’s the creator.

by Anonymousreply 127March 20, 2021 6:58 PM

Newsflash-

There is nothing wrong with "The Music Man" just because Eulalie Mackechnie Shinn never gets to sing "My White Knight"!

by Anonymousreply 128March 20, 2021 7:13 PM

This crazed doofus is like so many current Wokesters.

He is clearly afraid and alarmed that any white person is employed anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 129March 20, 2021 7:15 PM

If he hates the show so much, why doesn’t he find another show?

‘Cause he be cray cray

by Anonymousreply 130March 20, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote]and is huge Queen despite claiming to be straight.

Broadway geeks know he's not.

by Anonymousreply 131March 20, 2021 7:22 PM

Being stuck in a nothing role in a massively overhyped, banal show is potentially great material. This could have been like David Sedaris’s story about being Crumpet the Elf at Macy’s. (“I’m wearing an elf costume, it doesn’t get worse than this!”)

by Anonymousreply 132March 20, 2021 7:34 PM

That's show biz.

by Anonymousreply 133March 20, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]Why isn’t he blaming Lin Manuel Miranda???

From OP's link:

[quote]Hamilton is, without question, a Boys’ Club rooted in toxic masculinity and heteronormativity which is derived from its four creators: Lin Manuel Miranda, Tommy Kail, Andy Blankenbeuhler, and Alex Lacamoire — all of whom are straight cis-gendered men with either white or light-skinned privilege. In my experience, they facilitated a heterosexist work environment that made “some persons comfortable or powerful” while “providing supports, assets, approvals, and rewards to those who live and expect to live in heterosexual pairs”.

[quote]The creative team gravitated towards and showed genuine interest in straight male cast members and lavished, in my opinion, inappropriate attention upon female cast members while I got a lot of “hey buddy”s or “hey man”s in passing.

Mr. Belnavis lays blame all around ... except on himself.

by Anonymousreply 134March 20, 2021 8:24 PM

Hasn't anyone mentioned that Hamilton sucked? After 30 minutes the characters, dialog via erstaz hip hop and the music were undistinguished became tedious and aside from the costumes and the performers the show felt like a high school production with choreography that consisted of people leaping and twirling about and the colorless in every sense of the word Lin Manuel Miranda has the stage presence of a church mouse. Like the equally over-priced, over praised and over-hyped Rent and The Producers, Hamilton failed to produce one memorable tune and all 3 were turned into miserable films and I suspect that none of them will be revived decade after decade like Chicago, West Side Story, Gypsy and Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 135March 20, 2021 8:34 PM

I blame Liza Minnelli’s Broadway legacy.

by Anonymousreply 136March 20, 2021 8:36 PM

Thanks R134. I tried to read the whole article but couldn't make it through that far.

by Anonymousreply 137March 20, 2021 8:43 PM

R135 It's fine to dislike material but to state that Rent, The Producers and Hamilton don't have any memorable songs is ridiculous. You might not like the shows or the songs in the shows but each of them have music that is obviously memorable to a great many people.

by Anonymousreply 138March 20, 2021 8:48 PM

r136 = Chita Rivera

by Anonymousreply 139March 20, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote]Man 6 is the most marginalized ensemble role in Hamilton–– a marginality that is written into the very fabric of the show. Within the hierarchy of Hamilton, he is of the lowest status. This low status is reinforced and maintained through a consciously imposed structure that informs the practices, rhetoric, and decisions associated with the role. This effectively insinuates that the Black male actors playing Man 6 are of low status themselves and can be exploited accordingly, thus curating a culture of institutionalized racism that reflects the larger institutionalized racism of the United States.

This is nonsense. It's just stringing words together. People on Twitter are eating it up, though.

by Anonymousreply 140March 20, 2021 8:55 PM

The only good thing about this is Lin Miranda getting called out for his bullshit, thinking he's "oh so down" and all "hip hop" when he's a privileged, white closet case.

by Anonymousreply 141March 20, 2021 8:57 PM

Man 6 is the sex traffic role of Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 142March 20, 2021 8:57 PM

R138 Name one song from those shows that have become standards covered by other artists like the ones from Gypsy, West Side Story, Cabaret. . .. The song from the Producers Springtime for Hitler is from the 1968 film. I know there is one song from Rent that had mild success though I can't remember the title (365 Days?).

by Anonymousreply 143March 20, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote]It mirrored the marginalization that I have felt for my entire life. I am gay. I am Black. I have never been economically privileged. I have had a life-long struggle with my weight.

He's also a fatty. Probably was a nightmare for the costume people. He'd spiral downwards into his self-pity, go out and eat three cheeseburgers, then show up for the next performance needing his costume to be let out.

by Anonymousreply 144March 20, 2021 8:58 PM

I especially like the trigger warnings, at least that's what I expect "TW" to mean: racism, mental illness, heterosexism, sexual assault, self-harm.

If you're triggered by these concepts, then why would you read the article? This seems to put off the most likely to be sympathetic to his plight. His plight being that he has been cast in a hit show in an industry that is notoriously difficult to gain a foothold. But now it can be part of the conversation how homophobic Broadway really is.

by Anonymousreply 145March 20, 2021 9:10 PM

Broadway homophobic? Anyone ever hear of Broadway Bares which for decades has been a popular fundraiser for AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 146March 20, 2021 9:19 PM

R143

RENT has enabled people to permanently remember how many minutes are in a typical year.

525,600 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 147March 20, 2021 9:46 PM

This guy will never get cast anytime, anywhere. If you knew you had an employee who was going to take to social media to blast you, why would you take that risk. There are plenty of other talented, rational people around.

by Anonymousreply 148March 20, 2021 10:37 PM

^ And the six hours of therapy A DAY!

by Anonymousreply 149March 20, 2021 10:48 PM

I'll take 6 men anytime.

by Anonymousreply 150March 20, 2021 10:48 PM

I really wonder what his shrink said about taking his grievances to the internet and costing himself a future career in acting.

by Anonymousreply 151March 20, 2021 10:49 PM

IS there no end to the victimization syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 152March 20, 2021 11:03 PM

R147 What people? Rent hasn't been revived since it's original run in NYC which gathered attention because it's author Jonathan Larson, who I knew when he was a waiter at the Moondance Diner in SoHo, died before the first previews. The song and the play have not endured. The movie flopped at the BO and who sings this song anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 153March 20, 2021 11:23 PM

Girls! (R147, R138) Take your argument elsewhere!

This thread is about Super-Victim Daniel James Belnavis!

by Anonymousreply 154March 20, 2021 11:30 PM

[quote] the victimization syndrome

This reminds me of an incident from 1985. Tina Turner was in Australia filming 'Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome'.

Some person suggested she go and visit the Desert People in the remote Northern Territory because most Indigenous people then had a 'Poor-fellow-me' attitude. The overseas star told them to be optimistic and that they should be 'heroes'.

I wonder what Tina Turner would say to Daniel James Belnavis?

by Anonymousreply 155March 20, 2021 11:39 PM

Can a kind someone post a condensed summary of what he's saying? Im slightly interested but not enough to read it

by Anonymousreply 156March 20, 2021 11:40 PM

There's a summary at R28.

by Anonymousreply 157March 20, 2021 11:45 PM

R154 Welcome to DL! Besides career and topic wise A Hamilton is dead What's left to say?

by Anonymousreply 158March 20, 2021 11:45 PM

Sorry wrong name used ^ but it doesn't matter his 15 minutes of DL fame are up.

by Anonymousreply 159March 20, 2021 11:47 PM

I'm sure Oprah will adopt Daniel James Belnavis soon.

There will be a 90 minute TV interview with on Belnavis' life and Oprah will give him $3 million to mount his own Broadway show where he gets the starring role.

But I wonder what the show will be about? A hip musical about George Washington? James Madison? General Henry Knox? George William Fairfax?

by Anonymousreply 160March 20, 2021 11:55 PM

Wasn't Lin close with Groff sauce?

by Anonymousreply 161March 21, 2021 12:01 AM

R161 They shared a dressing room

by Anonymousreply 162March 21, 2021 12:03 AM

So many accusations of homophobia and racism in that article yet not one example.

by Anonymousreply 163March 21, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote]The anxiety I already felt about returning to the show in my normal track was now magnified by the pressure of going on for a principal role with less than two hours’ notice.

That is what a swing's job is, literally. And hadn't he just bitched and moaned about not getting the chance to play a principal?

[quote]The stage manager was well aware of this because his buzzard-ass had called or texted me nearly every day I was in the hospital to ask when I would be back.

Maybe his buzzard-ass was concerned about you. Maybe his buzzard-ass knew the job was opening up and wanted to know if you were up for it.

[quote]I communicated my concerns to the music director and told him that if I went on for Mull/Mad it would be an [italic]extremely[/italic] calibrated performance.

"[italic]Extremely[/italic] calibrated." Quite the little precious. The response should have been "I'm getting over my flu, but will do my best." Then do a great job. Show 'em what you can do under pressure.

[quote]I did not feel safe going on but I felt backed into a corner. I also needed the money after missing a few weeks' worths of performances.

I am so, so weary of the generation who needs to feel "safe" at every moment, with "safe" depending entirely on their own definition of the word at any given moment. Fucking be grateful they held the job for you.

Miss Judy Kaye, you're not, kid.

by Anonymousreply 164March 21, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote] Hasn't anyone mentioned that Hamilton sucked?

I refused to see it because the people who were raving about it had obviously never been in a theatre before.

by Anonymousreply 165March 21, 2021 12:05 AM

Woke the Magic Chorus Boy laments that the creative team on Hamilton are "CISGENDERED men"!!

So, basically the same as every other Broadway musical ever created!

by Anonymousreply 166March 21, 2021 12:10 AM

Wow, the shittiness of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 167March 21, 2021 12:12 AM

R167 What do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 168March 21, 2021 12:16 AM

R167 I think the "shitty" thing is that someone with admitted mental problems can publish an article throwing around seriously damaging accusations without any evidence provided. Just "feelings." And then the "woke" fascists of the internet all heap on and support and validate this article, further reinforcing the current trend of supporting and amplifying anyone who cries "racism" or "homophobia". There is no critical thinking just reactionary emotions and hopping on the bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 169March 21, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] "feelings."

R169 Feelings are more important than facts nowdays

by Anonymousreply 170March 21, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]I think the "shitty" thing is that someone with admitted mental problems can publish an article throwing around seriously damaging accusations without any evidence provided.

And when did it become a good idea to publicly announce personal mental health issues? It's like a badge of honor. "Look at me, I have mental health issues." This is a problem that I also have with Harry & Meghan. Perhaps, people should keep their mental health issues between them and their doctor?

by Anonymousreply 171March 21, 2021 12:30 AM

[quote]Perhaps, people should keep their mental health issues between them and their doctor?

DL would get very very quiet

by Anonymousreply 172March 21, 2021 12:34 AM

It’s hosted by medium dot com. Anybody was publish there.

I feel bad for this guy. As I read, I was just waiting for the mental illness to be unveiled. Of course, it was.

Bottom line is, he has declared himself to be unemployable. I hope he can live with that.

by Anonymousreply 173March 21, 2021 12:36 AM

^can

by Anonymousreply 174March 21, 2021 12:36 AM

I don't care what color or sexual orientation someone is, there is always, ALWAYS a role or roles in a big Broadway musical that is/are of little significance to the storytelling. Like a previous poster said, it's usually a performer who is hired to fill out the sound in the chorus and to be a second or third understudy to some larger roles. They are a cog in the machine. They are there for sound, stage pictures, and insurance for when the standby and first understudy can't go on. It's just how it is. They understandably can feel unfulfilled and not find any satisfaction in the job. And they rarely take over for the lead roles they understudy on a permanent basis. Not feeling included or important and feeling alienated are part of this too. It's a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 175March 21, 2021 12:43 AM

Dame Diana Rigg would not have put up with his shenanigans, even days after dying she still always met her curtain time with full aplomb.

by Anonymousreply 176March 21, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote] And when did it become a good idea to publicly announce personal mental health issues?

R171 You and I must be 'eldergays'. I was brought up with the notion that one shouldn't wash one's dirty linen in public.

Years ago I was surprised to see Rosemary Clooney tell a television audience that she was a drunkard. She was the first of an ever-increasing long line of over-the-hill celebrities seek publicity for their illnesses rather than their skill.

by Anonymousreply 177March 21, 2021 12:51 AM

Attention Must Be Paid!

by Anonymousreply 178March 21, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote]Years ago I was surprised to see Rosemary Clooney tell a television audience that she was a drunkard. She was the first of an ever-increasing long line of over-the-hill celebrities seek publicity for their illnesses rather than their skill.

And it reached its saturation point with Roseanne and her "repressed memories" crap. "I was raped in my mothers womb and this psychologist took me back to that moment and helped me recover that memory."

by Anonymousreply 179March 21, 2021 12:58 AM

Demi Lovato is the classic case of too much information

by Anonymousreply 180March 21, 2021 1:06 AM

I wish I could see how Daniel James Belnavis’ diatribe leads to a better show, workplace, or world. Hamilton is an incredibly inclusive cast, and also frequently cats people who lack the experience to be cast in other shows.

In an industry where most people are unemployed and struggling, it’s really tone deaf to complain about being given an opportunity to work. It’s very telling that his request for promotion focuses exclusively on his needs rather tha any value he would bring to another role. He would have these problems in just about any industry because the problem is him.

by Anonymousreply 181March 21, 2021 1:08 AM

He needs to read What Color Is My Parachute and find a new career.

by Anonymousreply 182March 21, 2021 1:13 AM

I think it's interesting that he complains about there being so many white people involved in the production. His whining is dangerous because it takes everyone back to Jim Crow days, separate but equal. This is a BLACK production and only BLACK people can be involved in it. August Wilson made those stipulations with his plays (and I understand his intent) but there have been some extremely bad productions of shows like "Fences" because a black director must be chosen!

by Anonymousreply 183March 21, 2021 1:22 AM

He's to chorus boys what Megan Markle is to briefcase models.

by Anonymousreply 184March 21, 2021 1:26 AM

So basically he's saying "Im crazy and will go to the media with the tiniest grievances against you " and expects to get not only hired but promoted ??? Her shrink needs to up her dosage for real.

by Anonymousreply 185March 21, 2021 1:35 AM

I'll play Man #6! I still got some tanning pills!

by Anonymousreply 186March 21, 2021 1:39 AM

Can someone explain his therapy visits? Was he really in therapy for six hours a day? No psychiatrist is going to sit with him that long. What would he have done in that time? And was this a tour? With each new city, did he register with a new mental health clinic?

by Anonymousreply 187March 21, 2021 1:42 AM

[quote]They are a cog in the machine. They are there for sound, stage pictures, and insurance for when the standby and first understudy can't go on. It's just how it is. They understandably can feel unfulfilled and not find any satisfaction in the job.

r175 I know shit all about theatre, but after reading most of his complaint, he sounds like most people who work, a job. I think everyone has felt the same way as he has as some point, a cog in the machine. I feel sorry that his his deep feelings of marginalization in his youth were exacerbated by this however. As gay men and especially for a black gay man you have to find methods to channel that stuff or you start total self destruction. It was unhealthy for him to continue in that environment with those feelings, if white directors were triggering him.

Now for the shade: he goes into such great detail about everything, BUT that pesky sexual assault at gunpoint. A night with rough trade gone wrong?

by Anonymousreply 188March 21, 2021 1:48 AM

Oh, dear Lord, he's written something else about firing his agents because they also didn't respect his extreme specialness. At the bottom he signs it "black, gay & exhausted".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 21, 2021 2:00 AM

R178 Attention must be paid.

Linda Loman "Death of a Salesman"

by Anonymousreply 190March 21, 2021 2:10 AM

R187 Everything she says reeks of exaggeration including the charges of racism and homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 191March 21, 2021 2:18 AM

"..and your lucky to be in a job...and in a bed"

"and we're counting our blessings."

Man 6 might have been nowhere along with all the other black and brown actors who got jobs on Broadway because of Hamilton. And will continue to do so once B'way reopens.

by Anonymousreply 192March 21, 2021 2:19 AM

I wonder if the white audiences at Hamilton scare him?

by Anonymousreply 193March 21, 2021 2:23 AM

Whatever happened to the days when actors used their personal experiences to turn in great performances?

by Anonymousreply 194March 21, 2021 2:38 AM

Chorus Bottom. Welcome to the world of being an actor. Jesus...

At least he is smart enough not to mention that most of the toxic males he is talking about are probably Jewish, in the great tradition of the theatre and show business in general. As if he will ever work again as is.

by Anonymousreply 195March 21, 2021 2:45 AM

R194 Whatever hapoened...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 21, 2021 2:48 AM

"Exhausting, gay and black". Fixed it for him.

We all bitch to others in our field about bad auditions, agents, etc., venting is allowed and encouraged. But all of it is in the bottom .00001% of the world's problems, if that. Find another profession if you don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 197March 21, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote]Find another profession if you don't like it.

But it's not the profession, it's him. African-Americans make up roughly 13% of the US population. It's going to be extremely difficult for him to find a job where he only has to deal with black and/or gay people. And if he did find that situation, I can guarantee he would be complaining about the other blacks and/or gays that worked with him.

by Anonymousreply 198March 21, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote] I can guarantee he would be complaining about the other blacks and/or gays that worked with him.

Well, he was complaining about some of the creators being privileged by their lighter skin. Cf R134.

by Anonymousreply 199March 21, 2021 3:07 AM

His career in theatre is over. Keep doing those singing telegrams.

by Anonymousreply 200March 21, 2021 3:20 AM

[quote] I later found out that the person I would be understudying was a famous, extremely caucasian actor.

And that lady was Adele Dazeem!

by Anonymousreply 201March 21, 2021 3:27 AM

Due Diligence: Search and Replace all usage of the words "White" with "white" and "black" with "Black."

by Anonymousreply 202March 21, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote]The anxiety I already felt about returning to the show in my normal track was now magnified by the pressure of going on for a principal role with less than two hours’ notice.

[quote]I called out of the show the first chance I got— after “The Story of Tonight”— and left the theatre in tears.

That's the fourth number in Act One.

So he was "pressured" to go on as an understudy — literally, his job — but bailed mid-show, forcing another performer to go on with no preparation whatsoever.

I hope that guy got promoted, and quick.

by Anonymousreply 203March 21, 2021 3:29 AM

r203, what? This guy gets his chance to go on as the understudy. What he has been preparing for and waiting for and he walks out?

WOW. I can't believe he is even questioning why he was Man 6. Man 5 would have gotten that shit done.

by Anonymousreply 204March 21, 2021 3:32 AM

R203

Thank you for heroically wading through that twaddle to find that.

This Man 6 is insane. Bad.

by Anonymousreply 205March 21, 2021 3:33 AM

I believe him.

Maybe he would be better off in the SpongeBob musical.

by Anonymousreply 206March 21, 2021 3:52 AM

She isn’t promoted? Racism. She isn’t advanced to a larger role? Racism. She goes on as understudy but can’t even make it through the first act? Racism.

by Anonymousreply 207March 21, 2021 3:57 AM

He was hired for a role that in the end he felt was below him. It’s all other people’s fault that he felt it wasn’t enough and that he should be held in higher regard and given more responsibility. Then when he gets the opportunity to do a larger role, he flakes. Riiiiight....

by Anonymousreply 208March 21, 2021 3:58 AM

From his website:

Daniel currently resides in the New York City area and, when he’s not performing, can be found on his couch eating a snack and bingewatching Bravo.

For masterclass inquiries, please email @djbelnavis@gmail.com

"On his couch eating a snack and bngewatching Bravo" I believe. But Masterclass? Come the fuck on!

by Anonymousreply 209March 21, 2021 4:08 AM

I say, I say, I say...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 21, 2021 4:13 AM

R187 He seems the type to consider talking with friends and reading self-help books to be therapy.

R195 Well, not mentioning it in public, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 211March 21, 2021 4:18 AM

In light of these recent findings being brought to their attention, Lin Manuel Miranda and the creative team of Hamilton will be retiring the role formerly known as Man 6 and the singing and dancing performances will now be performed by the intersectionality role of Man 7. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 212March 21, 2021 5:28 AM

One thing the article doesn't mention much is that no cast member who was even marginally connected with money and or power would be treated this way. I think the issues he brings up happen all the time to people from the 'lower ranks' of society, no matter how talented or nice or easygoing they are. Economic reality--if you don't come from the upper classes, you have a tough time rising.

by Anonymousreply 213March 21, 2021 5:40 AM

He claims to be in psychoanalysis. That form of treatment is very rare these days and would be very expensive, requiring multiple sessions a week with an analyst.

I suspect he is just in regular therapy. But he does seem to use a lot of words without actually knowing what they mean.

by Anonymousreply 214March 21, 2021 5:44 AM

I spoke too soon. He was in treatment six hours a day, five days a week.

And the reason he was not given a bigger part was racism.

by Anonymousreply 215March 21, 2021 5:47 AM

R213: treated what "way"? Seriously. What way?

by Anonymousreply 216March 21, 2021 5:50 AM

The awful treatment of having a stage manager inquire after you when you are ill and receiving polite notes from management when you ask about taking on other roles.

by Anonymousreply 217March 21, 2021 5:57 AM

If they thought you were right for the bigger roles, they would not have cast you as Man 6 in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 218March 21, 2021 5:58 AM

R206 He'd be better off in Avenue Q!

by Anonymousreply 219March 21, 2021 6:01 AM

R217 there should be a tongue-in-cheek font I thought you were serious for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 220March 21, 2021 6:05 AM

He is getting a lot of support from the Angelica cast.

by Anonymousreply 221March 21, 2021 6:07 AM

So gurl, let's get to the important stuff. Onlyfans?

by Anonymousreply 222March 21, 2021 6:09 AM

I'm waiting for someone to expose this as a hoax.

How could this undisciplined egotistical chorus boy compose this inordinately-long diatribe.?

Is it a hoax perpetrated by the psychologist? He taped the appallingly-verbose in-session private ramblings and had them published online?

by Anonymousreply 223March 21, 2021 6:11 AM

R221 really? How so? Unless a lot of them are just disgruntled people with their own beefs with management, enjoying management being taken to task, I can't imagine what in that article is a valid example of homophobia or racism.

by Anonymousreply 224March 21, 2021 6:14 AM

Note how he waited to post this until Hamilton was back in the news with the Australia production opening

by Anonymousreply 225March 21, 2021 6:15 AM

R188 Pity the people who have work with this 3 alarm Mary!

by Anonymousreply 226March 21, 2021 6:15 AM

Oh shut the fuck up you boring motherfucker. What fucking yawn. This shit is the worst.

What a whiner.

by Anonymousreply 227March 21, 2021 6:19 AM

Having read the first part of the piece and the quotes here, I think this must be a parody. It sounds like it was written by a grad student in Whatever Studies, not a hustling actor. (And Hamilton would be a ripe target for conservatives.) Or maybe he kvetched to an academic and they translated it into critical-race-theory speak?

by Anonymousreply 228March 21, 2021 6:21 AM

He’s a U Mich grad right? Has Darren Criss or Andy Meintus reached out to him?

by Anonymousreply 229March 21, 2021 11:04 AM

Broadway is littered with standbys who never became stars.

by Anonymousreply 230March 21, 2021 12:13 PM

[Quote] Woke the Magic Chorus Boy laments that the creative team on Hamilton are "CISGENDERED men"!!

He conveniently leaves out that he’s a cisgender dog man too...

by Anonymousreply 231March 21, 2021 12:28 PM

I’m still not sure what he’s composing about that can be fixed. Should Miranda get a sex change?

by Anonymousreply 232March 21, 2021 12:29 PM

R189, wow, that’s just as awful. He doesn’t get that being an actor means you have to say the lines as written.

by Anonymousreply 233March 21, 2021 12:34 PM

He could always do The Wiz!

by Anonymousreply 234March 21, 2021 12:35 PM

He should stick to only doing one woman shows.

by Anonymousreply 235March 21, 2021 2:13 PM

I asked my neighbor who has done several Broadway shows to comment on this. He didn't know anything about it so I forwarded him the article. His response below. And yes, I have permission to print it without revealing his name or identifying details.

"it seems to me this guy used his strong mind to justify assumptions he should never have made, he has a point about the lack of representation on the management side, but that's about it and that is no excuse for the entitled expectations he developed. He attributes his erratic mental state to the culture of the show and that appears to be the product of not getting what the business is about. This is a professional engagement NOT a wish fulfillment factory. All that therapy he was getting should have been focused on helping him to not personalize the PERCEIVED low status in the company and in developing techniques to cope with is baggage getting triggered by the way people say hello to you or fantasies of being hired for a role that was constructed to demean the actor playing it.

I am sure the trac he was on was designed to be dispensable so that the actor playing that track could fulfill their real purpose that of being an understudy. I have done Broadway shows where one of the actors doing standby had been nominated for a Tony twice. Another show, an understudy was an emmy award winning actor. These were plays, not musicals but the point is sometimes even a heavy hitter has to take a gig that is "beneath" him or her for the bucks or the insurance or whatever. These are actually coveted jobs and of the thousands of people who come to NYC every year to act professionally, less than 1 percent of those people ever get near a job like that. In musicals, people call in a lot more often than in plays, I guess because of vocal strain. This means he had a VERY important role in the company from the management perspective but he and his therapist could not see that AND it was a tour making the covers even more important. I realize this was a tour and not Broadway but this was still a coveted gig and the dude must have talent. I fear he's getting reinforcement for this from all the wrong people on social media who know fuck all about the business or any business for that matter. The whole grievance filled rant about not being "promoted" leads me to believe this is his first fully professional job. Actors can be moved into larger roles over the course of a run, sure , but the only thing you are guaranteed is what is written in the contract. As I said, I am sure the guy is talented but didn't he go on in principal roles for the 2 years he was covering? Maybe the management didn't think he was ready to take over a larger role from an acting perspective, assuming his singing is what booked him the gig. Any number of things could have contributed to that. Also his dig at stage management being "buzzardly" for checking in on him when he was on sick leave every day. The SM has to fill out a report every day and if someone is out, they have to enter the reason, if someone is sick they have to provide and update.

I feel sorry for this guy because he shot himself in the foot here and got some really (IMHO) bad therapy that didn't help him develop coping mechanisms for these feelings real or imagined. I wish him the best and hope he gets real help.

by Anonymousreply 236March 21, 2021 2:18 PM

I think what we have here is an attitude problem.

by Anonymousreply 237March 21, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote]At the bottom he signs it "black, gay & exhausted".

Stay out of my lane, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 238March 21, 2021 2:33 PM

I can just imagine “black, gay and exhausted” being the type to try and kill themselves the way Demi Moore’s character in St. Elmo’s Fire does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239March 21, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote]Also, how stupid does a person have to be to read that essay and genuinely believe this is a “diversity” issue and not a “mental health” one?

Answer: Extremely fucking stupid. But, alas, there are LOTS of those people in this world, especially nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 240March 21, 2021 2:55 PM

Bitch, you would have something to complain about if you were in The Sound of Fucking Music.

by Anonymousreply 241March 21, 2021 2:57 PM

R241 Well at least he wouldn’t have been cast as Nazi 6.

by Anonymousreply 242March 21, 2021 3:26 PM

[quote]No, [R60], he's quite remarkably terrible. Meandering, whining, and loaded to the gills with SJW buzzwords and copied phrases.

A friend and I were discussing this screed and wondering who helped this pathetic guy with it, since we doubt that even an aggressive SJW like him would have known ALL those buzzwords and phrases and used them all by himself.

by Anonymousreply 243March 21, 2021 3:27 PM

What R241 said. The track for Nun 6 is dull, dull, dull.

by Anonymousreply 244March 21, 2021 3:28 PM

Incorrect, r153. ‘Rent’ was revived off-Broadway in 2011 at New Wold Stages.

by Anonymousreply 245March 21, 2021 4:02 PM

What has happened during Covid is that some of the inmates have come to believe they run the asylum. On both the left, the right, and on Broadway, extreme isolation has led to some bizarre thinking and beliefs. This is another example...

by Anonymousreply 246March 21, 2021 4:15 PM

These two "tracks" were added between the Off-Broadway production and the Broadway production, so of course they're going to have less to do and feel kinda shoehorned into the show. Off-Broadway had 9 ensemble members, Broadway/tour has 11.

by Anonymousreply 247March 21, 2021 4:24 PM

R245 Stand corrected. Off Broadway? Still. will it rank with Grease, Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, Bye, Bye Birdie . . .?

by Anonymousreply 248March 21, 2021 4:27 PM

R248, it already does.

by Anonymousreply 249March 21, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote]Man 6 is the lowest of the ensemble but is understudy for G. Washington, Madison/Hercules Mulligan. (a baritone). Doesn't do much in the ensemble and is pretty much ignored in scenes. I guess just put there so he can be understudy for this vocal role. Always a black person so he's attached racism to his critique. He has two opportunities to try out for GW and HM when the other actors left and was passed over.

And when he finally was asked to go on in one of the major roles as an understudy, he couldn't hack it, and left MID-PERFORMANCE. Any rational human being would have emerged from that experience humbled and extremely grateful that he wasn't fired outright. Instead, this pathetic individual calls out the HAMILTON company on social media for "offenses" that are all in his mind.

By the way, I recently heard third-that the producers of HAMILTON have been monetarily generous towards members of the Broadway company as the pandemic drags on, and I'm guessing that extends to other companies as well.

by Anonymousreply 250March 21, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote]The only good thing about this is Lin Miranda getting called out for his bullshit, thinking he's "oh so down" and all "hip hop" when he's a privileged, white closet case.

Don't be a childish, delusionary asshole. Oops, too late....

by Anonymousreply 251March 21, 2021 4:55 PM

Clearly, his true destiny was not to work in musical theater, but to get a blog...

by Anonymousreply 252March 21, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote]For masterclass inquiries, please email @djbelnavis@gmail.com

Perhaps he teaches master classes in how to play the victim. But he shouldn't, as he obviously does so with such ineptitude that anyone with a brain can recognize he's a pathetic, selfish, mentally ill fool.

by Anonymousreply 253March 21, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]Having read the first part of the piece and the quotes here, I think this must be a parody. It sounds like it was written by a grad student in Whatever Studies, not a hustling actor.

Agreed, except there are a few phrases in the screed that seem to have been contributed by this sad-sack himself. For example, the one about the "buzzard-ass" stage manager.

by Anonymousreply 254March 21, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote]I feel sorry for this guy because he shot himself in the foot here and got some really (IMHO) bad therapy that didn't help him develop coping mechanisms for these feelings real or imagined. I wish him the best and hope he gets real help.

This person is a better man than I am, very magnanimous towards someone who did something so destructive.

by Anonymousreply 255March 21, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote] "Exhausting, gay and black".

This is the sexual to Aretha's "Young, Gifted and Black"

by Anonymousreply 256March 21, 2021 6:42 PM

Can someone rewrite the lyrics to “Adelaide’s Lament” for La Belle Belnavis?

by Anonymousreply 257March 21, 2021 6:45 PM

AMANDA: "I'll be the victim!"

WEDNESDAY: "All your life..."

--"Addams Family Values"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258March 21, 2021 7:02 PM

Thank you for that thoughtful post, r236. It hadn't occurred to me that a stage manager must of course check in and report in writing on anyone who is sick, probably for insurance reasons.

by Anonymousreply 259March 21, 2021 7:27 PM

R229 Judging by his IG, Andy is too busy making himself look even more unfuckable than before. 90s lesbian seems to be his current look.

by Anonymousreply 260March 21, 2021 7:28 PM

He is clearly still mentally ill. Since his part was the smallest in the cast, he believes that made him [italic]as a human being[/italic] marginalized (he has obviously never heard the saying, "There are no small parts, just small actors"). Did he really think he should have been treated as if he were the star?

This is someone who obviously should not hired for any cast--he is too fragile and self-important to make it in the acting profession (which is really saying something).

by Anonymousreply 261March 21, 2021 7:29 PM

I really want to know what it is about Hamilton which causes this kind of entitlement. It was there from the start. That whole mess about royalties for the original cast - which they themselves voluntarily gave up in favour of increased payments for the developmental "lab", contrary to the advice of Equity. But they did it anyway, and then when the show was a hit they start whining they weren't getting royalties, and even shitting on Equity for not helping them, when they signed a contract Equity told them not to.

by Anonymousreply 262March 21, 2021 7:31 PM

Cool story, bro.

by Anonymousreply 263March 21, 2021 7:40 PM

I think that his sexual assault is the catalyst here. He needs to focus on recovering from this traumatic incident first. Fuck the Hamilton roadshow.

by Anonymousreply 264March 21, 2021 8:00 PM

I can’t with him....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265March 21, 2021 8:22 PM

He thinks he looks good in that photo @ R265? 😅🤣 He looks like an average, slightly chubby guy.

by Anonymousreply 266March 21, 2021 8:35 PM

Buck wouldn't have bitched.

by Anonymousreply 267March 21, 2021 8:39 PM

[quote] He looks like an average, slightly chubby guy

The OP's photo looks less chubby. But I guess people suffering with mental illness suffer with fluctuating weight.

by Anonymousreply 268March 21, 2021 8:42 PM

Daniel, call me. I think you and my husband share some problems and perhaps I can help you, too.

by Anonymousreply 269March 21, 2021 9:09 PM

Early on, a poster mentioned his delusions of grandeur in the original article. It’s also obvious in the Instagram post. Wow.

He’s got some really intense problems, and I hope he receives the right kind of help. My guess is he was never promoted because he didn’t have the “it” factor required for Washington or the other roles. He might have had a great voice, but that only goes so far.

by Anonymousreply 270March 21, 2021 10:11 PM

R248 But what measurement? 1 off-Broadway revival?

by Anonymousreply 271March 21, 2021 10:26 PM

R271ts original run closed in 2008, how many revivals are you expecting it to have in 12 years?

by Anonymousreply 272March 21, 2021 10:27 PM

At this rate he'll get that bathroom attendant job sooner than he thinks.

by Anonymousreply 273March 21, 2021 10:47 PM

Daniel sees menace in every encounter with white people.

I see he hasn't the perspicacity to comment upon the fact that the mostly all-black cast of "Hamilton" are portraying WHITE PEOPLE! Did this jump start his trauma, or should he CANCEL himself for blatant BLACK-WASHING and stealing a job from a deserving white actor? The mind reels!

Actually he is not much worse than Lin Manuel Miranda himself, who most notably signed that ridiculous BROADWAY IS RACIST screed back when they all thought Broadway was just closed for a few weeks. Mr. Miranda agreed that "Broadway should be BURNED DOWN" for it's racism! You know, that racism which awarded him two best Musical Tonys, gave him the ability to hire an almost totally black cast (playing white people) and about half a billion dollars in his own bank account! How does Broadway get away with this racism?

Another shrieking signer of this petition was playwright Suzan-Lori Parks, who went to that famed HCBU Mt. Holyoke, who without WHITE scholarships, white funded grants, awards, white critics and white audiences would be waitressing at a diner. Her work simply has never appealed to black audiences, but yeah, burn it down!

by Anonymousreply 274March 21, 2021 10:49 PM

R265: That never happened!

by Anonymousreply 275March 21, 2021 10:51 PM

The whole "burn it down" thing regarding broadway, during the looting and burning going on. at the time was really poor language.

by Anonymousreply 276March 21, 2021 10:51 PM

I know we Dataloungers take pleasure from other peoples' stupidity. But now, looking at that overweight bathroom attendant at R265, I almost feel sorry for him.

Now, on consideration, I think we should be blaming that frightful magazine which published this embarrassing self confession. It is frightful.

by Anonymousreply 277March 21, 2021 10:52 PM

Was this blog diatribe him taking his “shot?”

by Anonymousreply 278March 21, 2021 11:00 PM

You just know some theater academic will be writing their thesis soon on the Intersectionality of Man 6 in Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 279March 21, 2021 11:03 PM

R272 The New Stages theater is a 5 theater complex in the basement of the World View Plaza. The Largest auditorium seats 499 which is less seating capacity than my high school auditorium. Obviously no one was not willing to risk staging a Broadway production where the average show needs to fill 1,500 or more seats to be a success.. Gypsy(1959) has been revived 6 times between 1973 and 2008 which is every 6 years and ditto Cabaret 3 times in 18 years from 1991-2010 and Fiddler on The Roof, West Side Story, Oklahoma, Anything Goes, 42nd Street, Carousel . . .have all been revived at least once every decade since their original productions. Rent can't pay the rent.

by Anonymousreply 280March 21, 2021 11:05 PM

Videos on Man 6...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 21, 2021 11:07 PM

Those are interesting statistics, R280.

by Anonymousreply 282March 21, 2021 11:12 PM

Can you bitches take your 'Rent' squabble elsewhere? This is my thread!

by Anonymousreply 283March 21, 2021 11:14 PM

Don't forget Man 5!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284March 21, 2021 11:15 PM

You people discussing "Rent" are detracting from my VERY IMPORTANT LIVED EXPERIENCE OF INTERSECTIONALITY! And "Rent" is NOT one of those intersections!

You are preventing me from USING MY VOICE and TAKING UP SPACE!

by Anonymousreply 285March 21, 2021 11:16 PM

“I can’t sing!”

by Anonymousreply 286March 21, 2021 11:18 PM

"Now, on consideration, I think we should be blaming that frightful magazine which published this embarrassing self confession. It is frightful."

They weren't doing him any favors, quite the opposite. They knew their article would generate clicks, and they also knew that he'd never work again in the NY theater scene if it was published. And they published it.

by Anonymousreply 287March 21, 2021 11:27 PM

Angry BIPOC Theatre People: WE SEE YOU!

Madeline Ashton: YOU MEAN ME?

by Anonymousreply 288March 21, 2021 11:32 PM

I'm not even sure what I mean by this, but it needs to be said!

"Dear Evan Hansen I am writing this to you-

And I hope that you will read it, so you'll know..."

by Anonymousreply 289March 21, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] They knew their article would generate clicks

R287 They knew the chorus boy's reputation was collateral damage in their SJW War against 'The Establishment'

by Anonymousreply 290March 21, 2021 11:34 PM

And don't forget and/or marginalize Girl 6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291March 21, 2021 11:35 PM

R280 And yet Rent's original production ran longer than any production of any of those shows.

by Anonymousreply 292March 21, 2021 11:41 PM

The links to the other articles in this "Zine" border on the comical with headlines like

"Things White People in Nonprofits Say When No One Else Is In the Room"

I'm sure there will be a bidding war for the movie rights.

by Anonymousreply 293March 21, 2021 11:53 PM

I AM throwing away ... my shot!

I AM throwing away ... my shot!

I'm just what you think, hunty:

Bitchy, whiny and cunty!

AND I AM throwing away ... my shot!

by Anonymousreply 294March 22, 2021 12:01 AM

"Things Broadway Stage Managers Say When No Ones In the Room"

"Why the fuck can't the black actors get here by half-hour!?"

by Anonymousreply 295March 22, 2021 12:02 AM

Daniel my brother, you are older than me

Do you still feel the pain of the scares that won’t heal?

Your eyes have died but you see more...

Daniel your the star in the face of the sky

by Anonymousreply 296March 22, 2021 12:10 AM

He sort of has crazed, wonky eyes in the OP's pic.

by Anonymousreply 297March 22, 2021 12:13 AM

Two observations about the severity of his mental illness and how that impacts his perception of his experiences as reported in his screed. First, remember he casually mentions late in the story that he was eventually diagnosed as bipolar. Having lived with a bipolar partner in the past, I can tell you that he reflects many aspects of mania, though it is amplified by the Millennial love for being the victim. He is grandiose and seemingly self-entititled. Seems to have an inflated sense of his abilities compared to what others around him observe. Feels victimized and oppressed. Bipolars in manic phases are often hyper sexual and put themselves in dangerous situations, both sexual and other (this may be the rape). Extreme mania can move into psychotic episodes with paranoia and delusions of persecution. Can swing into depression and lethargy.

Second, he is misnaming his treatment experience. It is extraordinarily rare for the mildly neurotic to be in true psychoanalysis these days let alone someone with a serious and persistent mood disorder like bipolar. He is likely in some sort of psychiatric treatment that includes psychotherapy along with — one hopes — psychoactive medication, though bipolar sate notorious not being adherent to their meds. He describes being admitted to a partial hospitalization/day treatment program. The average worried well person in therapy can’t access those programs, and insurers make sure that it’s limited to folks in severe need because it is expensive. Eligibility is limited to those with significant psychiatric illness and treatment involves a packed day of some regimen of individual therapy, multiple group therapy sessions, structured socialization, medical visits.

The craziness of the current victim culture, however, makes it harder to recognize the craziness of this individual.

by Anonymousreply 298March 22, 2021 12:49 AM

Ah, R298, you sound like a professional.

What can be done about our society's current fashion for victim culture?

by Anonymousreply 299March 22, 2021 1:15 AM

I understand his need to address this issue and I believe him. I just think that his sexual assault is coloring his POV, as it would anyone. He must be feeling pretty powerless at this point, everything that has happened to him so far. A break from social media would be a good idea. I mean, if he read some of the toxic comments here, it could be disheartening.

by Anonymousreply 300March 22, 2021 1:23 AM

R262

Link?

AYFKM? That’s...such a dismal take on the prospects of the show, and a slap at LMM (who deserves copious face-slapping!)

That makes this thread racist.

by Anonymousreply 301March 22, 2021 1:38 AM

I can guess who LMM is but what is AYFKM?

by Anonymousreply 302March 22, 2021 1:43 AM

R274

Sounds like you have stories to tell.

Liberals aren’t, nowadays.

Free speech is LITERALLY violence.

SMDH.

by Anonymousreply 303March 22, 2021 1:43 AM

[quote] SMDH

Are you Shaking your Damn Head?

by Anonymousreply 304March 22, 2021 1:47 AM

R281

Your link has been pulled, apparently.

No longer available.

by Anonymousreply 305March 22, 2021 1:53 AM

R302

Are you fucking kidding me?

by Anonymousreply 306March 22, 2021 1:54 AM

R304 scares me.

New to the internet?

by Anonymousreply 307March 22, 2021 2:04 AM

R280 There was a lot of publicity when the show opened right before the death of its author. It's # 11 and Cats is #3 of the longest running Broadway musicals and #2 is the 1996 revival of Chicago which ran longer than the original production. I saw Rent it was unmemorable and understandably interest it has expired and, MY Fair Lady, Hello Dolly, The Sound of Music . ..and so many others will always draw large audiences while I doubt Rent and Cats even play dinner theaters.

by Anonymousreply 308March 22, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote] Rent and Cats… and 'A Chorus Line' failed because a Broadway show needs a STAR.

And as I said back in R83 Democracy doesn't work in Show business.

by Anonymousreply 309March 22, 2021 2:54 AM

R301 A link about the Hamilton royalties? This one sums it all up with regards to Hamilton.

The backstory to it: A Chorus Line was based on the real stories from many members of the original cast, and they felt they were entitled to share in its success. They ended up getting about 1% share of the gross amongst all of them, and this ended up being a standard for the cast who worked on the development, including doing workshops. Workshops are overseen by Equity, and in exchange for a much reduced weekly salary, they get the 1% share of the gross.

Hamilton didn't have a workshop. It had a "lab". Just by changing the name of it, the producers could avoid following Equity rules - and in exchange they paid a higher weekly salary for the lab process, but no share of royalties. All of the cast agreed, and it's only when Hamilton proved to be a hit that they started rethinking things.

R308 Ah so because you didn't like it, no-one else really does it's just because Larson died? Yeah, his death alone sustained a Broadway transfer and a 12 year run. Get the fuck over yourself, you sound like an idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310March 22, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote] That makes this thread racist.

What do you mean, R301?

by Anonymousreply 311March 22, 2021 3:10 AM

R311

Hyperbole. It’s the new black.

by Anonymousreply 312March 22, 2021 3:12 AM

Brrrr-oad way doesn't go for accuse and mope.

by Anonymousreply 313March 22, 2021 3:37 AM

R310 Why so triggered? The publicity surrounding the show with celebs showing up and Robert Altman interested in doing a film version ala Nashville drummed up a lot of interest and it was a hot ticket but that doesn't mean people who saw it were not overwhelmed with the play itself. That the revival played in a small off Broadway basement venue in Hell's Kitchen is telling. Cleopatra is a terrible film but it was big BO because of the Burton-Taylor scandal. Did people like it much? No Goodfellas lost Best Picture to Dances with Wolves which I've never seen but when is the last time you heard anyone talk about or recommend Dances. Goodfellas has enduring popularity. And people I know who saw the long running Cats hated it.

by Anonymousreply 314March 22, 2021 3:44 AM

We should hook him up with Charles Blow.

by Anonymousreply 315March 22, 2021 3:45 AM

I went to see "Dances with Wolves" with dread, but I found it to be highly entertaining and well made. I'm recommending it to you right now!

by Anonymousreply 316March 22, 2021 3:47 AM

R300 may I ask what you believe? As far as the charges of homophobia and racism, what in the article explains that?

by Anonymousreply 317March 22, 2021 3:57 AM

R314 "Triggered"? Your use of that says a lot about you. Fascinating how you can speak for every single person who saw the show over a 12 year run and know how they all felt about it. And your obsession with the lack of a Broadway revival which closed in 2008 is hilarious. I guess it's the only thing you can bang on about since you have no real arguments to make.

by Anonymousreply 318March 22, 2021 3:57 AM

Can you girls keep to the point and keep your squabbles outside!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 22, 2021 4:01 AM

Rent still draws an audience regionally. A lot of the musicals brandonjoseph mentioned do not draw as well as Rent, In the Heights, Sweeney Todd, etc,

At this point theaters often have a choice between drawing an older audience or a younger one with their choice of musicals. Most try to split the difference, but claiming that Rent does not draw is just bizarre. The story makes no sense but people really love the songs.

by Anonymousreply 320March 22, 2021 4:10 AM

R314 N0, resorting to calling someone a fucking idiot shows that you have no argument nor do you have the coping skills to have a conversation with someone with whom you do not agree. Rent was unmemorable! I lived in NY until 2006 saw many Broadway shows and no one I know raved about it. Cats had that overplayed song Midnight that attracted tourists and Phantom of the Opera another longest running show was a tourist trap as well. Did you actually see Rent, Hamilton or The Producers?

by Anonymousreply 321March 22, 2021 4:14 AM

R320 Grease is popular too in High School productions does that make it good? Your reasoning is bizarre!

by Anonymousreply 322March 22, 2021 4:16 AM

Girls! GIRLS! This is about ME! MY trauma! MY lived experience!

Arguing about "Rent" in MY thread is erasure, silence of my voice and LITERAL VIOLENCE!

by Anonymousreply 323March 22, 2021 4:21 AM

R322, were you not arguing that Rent would never be as popular as Grease and Fiddler on the Roof? That it is not revived?

My guess is that Grease is mostly done by high schools. I was referring to professional productions.

by Anonymousreply 324March 22, 2021 4:23 AM

R323 The whiny headcase is boring and senseless and don't deserve a thread. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 325March 22, 2021 4:30 AM

I wonder if Miranda's PR company has been informed of the unhappiness of the Sixth Man.

(Miranda is now worth $80 Million)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326March 22, 2021 5:03 AM

R227 Summed it up best.

by Anonymousreply 327March 22, 2021 5:06 AM

I downloaded Hamilton when it was available and still haven't watched it.

And I like theater. My favorite show in the last twenty years was Grey Gardens. I love Sondheim and especially Kander & Ebb, but the long clips I've seen of Hamilton leave me cold.

C'mon DL, give me some insight that will make me want to watch it.

DL HAS that power. I can't tell you how many films I've watched just because of thread discussions.

by Anonymousreply 328March 22, 2021 5:16 AM

Hamilton Man 6 is tearing us apart!

by Anonymousreply 329March 22, 2021 5:17 AM

R318 Did you ever see Rent, The Producers or Hamilton? You have no argument so you resort to childish and pointless and angry invective all over a play!

by Anonymousreply 330March 22, 2021 5:37 AM

I suspect Miss BrandonJoseph is just another manifestation of the Matt Loon aka the Poppins Loon aka THE Loon to End All Loons on DL.

by Anonymousreply 331March 22, 2021 6:53 AM

R316 Even a potential glimpse of Costner's ass is not sufficient motivation to see a 3hr film starring Costner who has always been bland and uninteresting. Several reliable sources have recommended it as a safe, non habit forming sleep aid

by Anonymousreply 332March 22, 2021 7:50 AM

He says here he works in a bakery 'all the time'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333March 22, 2021 8:02 AM

R331 My original statement was Rent will not be revived decade after decade like Hello Dolly, Cabaret. . . and regional theater is not what I had in mind nor is a revival at a basement in HK with less seating than my high school auditorium. And since you have keyboard courage you can mean girl it all you want but it has no affect.

by Anonymousreply 334March 22, 2021 8:06 AM

R328 Hamilton is 2 and a half hours of your life you'll never remember or get back and the streaming version edited from 3 filmed live performances is not well thought of and R135 is my opinion of the Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 335March 22, 2021 8:18 AM

[quote]Mr. Belnavis is a very good writer.

Oh my sides! Is this a joke, R58? I can't tell.

by Anonymousreply 336March 22, 2021 8:57 AM

[quote]They knew their article would generate clicks

I, like many (most?) others here, couldn't make it through more than a few paragraphs of this whiny tripe. So my question is, does it matter if you read the whole article? Do the analytics for "click bate" include how long you stay on the page? Or does it only matter that you clicked at all?

by Anonymousreply 337March 22, 2021 9:44 AM

R298, I'm sure it's nothing that complicated or structured. His "therapy" no doubt includes hours of self care: meditation, exercise, self reflection, journalling, massage, yoga.....on and on. These are ALL very helpful interventions for the "worried well" of course. But they won't do much for this guy who has some very deep rooted problems.

by Anonymousreply 338March 22, 2021 9:52 AM

[quote]I suspect Miss BrandonJoseph is just another manifestation of the Matt Loon aka the Poppins Loon aka THE Loon to End All Loons on DL.

Bingo, r331. brandonhoseph is also r327 (Ronald McDonald) in this thread. In all, he's posted 25 times on this thread.

In the thread I linked to, "has nyc bounced back?", he's posted as FNY (Former New Yorker), brandonjoseph, Ronald McDonald, Cindy Adams, Dade County Here, Jealous in Jersey, sugar coated pill, Philadelphia, and Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love. brandonjoseph is coming unglued over there, posting over 120 times in a thread of 426 posts, post after unhinged post of NYC crime stats, attacking anyone who dares to suggest that NYC is slowly coming back to life as the pandemic winds down. At one point, he had posted 22 of 25 posts in a row. It's truly psychotic, very Matt-like behavior.

On topic, r236's friend offers an apt Broadway insider's view of the chorus boy's lament:

[quote]These are actually coveted jobs and of the thousands of people who come to NYC every year to act professionally, less than 1 percent of those people ever get near a job like that. In musicals, people call in a lot more often than in plays, I guess because of vocal strain. This means he had a VERY important role in the company from the management perspective but he and his therapist could not see that.

Hamilton chorus boy was in a situation much like Jim Borstelmann in The Producers. Borstelmann started out as a swing, understudying Franz Liebkind and Roger De Bris. Then he began understudying Scott, the choreographer. He was given the role of Liebkind after Brad Oscar left, but after a month or so, took over the lesser role of Scott - because he was much more valuable to management playing in the easily replaceable Scott to understudy to the bigger and harder to play roles of Franz Liebkind and Roger De Bris. If Borstelmann felt demoted, he never said a word about it - but then, he is a Broadway veteran who isn't mentally ill, and knew a good thing when he saw it. Nice guy, too.

tl:dr? Yes, brandonjoseph is a self-admitted troll if not THE Loon, and Hamilton chorus boy is spectacularly ill-suited for show business. I hope he gets help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339March 22, 2021 11:51 AM

[quote]I, like many (most?) others here, couldn't make it through more than a few paragraphs of this whiny tripe

His essay on his first visit to a bathhouse is a bit shorter:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340March 22, 2021 12:23 PM

I'm starting to wonder if BrandonJosie is Hamilton's chorus boy.

by Anonymousreply 341March 22, 2021 1:45 PM

I truly feel sorry for this cat... he is a mess. Probably solvable but so introspective. You wonder if he isn't making a hard situation worse. I feel bad for him... he's got to be the type to Google himself so he may find here... don't take it to heart, dude, and keep working at sorting yourself out.

by Anonymousreply 342March 22, 2021 1:51 PM

r281 and r287: Medium is not a zine or magazine. It's [italic]self[/italic]publishing. It's a long-form, magazine-[italic]style[/italic] social platform. You could write and "publish" an article there.

by Anonymousreply 343March 22, 2021 2:25 PM

sorry r281, I meant r277 and r 287

by Anonymousreply 344March 22, 2021 2:45 PM

If I do, does it have to be wordy and boring?

by Anonymousreply 345March 22, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote] I am so, so weary of the generation who needs to feel "safe" at every moment, with "safe" depending entirely on their own definition of the word at any given moment.

Agreed r164. And no one has ever said that marching out onto a stage to perform in a show live is [italic]supposed[/italic] to be “safe.” It’s not. Ever. And that’s kind of the point.

by Anonymousreply 346March 22, 2021 3:15 PM

Despite his pain, I’m hoping this inspires a spate of other chorus boys writing long diatribe blogs of life in the shadows of the stage and the grief and damage they sustain. I bet there are some great stories out there.

by Anonymousreply 347March 22, 2021 3:50 PM

R339 Those who feed trolls are trolls. The pot calling the kettle . . .

by Anonymousreply 348March 22, 2021 4:31 PM

I would totally be up for his unironic performance of Hardknock Life.

by Anonymousreply 349March 22, 2021 4:52 PM

Maybe Daniel should meet the equally self-involved and verbose Dr. Jake.

by Anonymousreply 350March 22, 2021 4:55 PM

This guy was probably not raised in a household which prepared him for the basic rules of life...one that is when starting off in a profession, you start at the bottom and put in your dues, and work your way up. he got cast in a major musical that hundreds of men would be salivating to get, even if it's a walk on. When the break happens you should be prepared for it. For him, it sounds like the break happened and he wasn't. This is the rule for chorus boys, mailroom clerks, corporate drones, restaurant kitchens, and just about everything else. Poor Daniel should have written this, run it by a few friends, or just printed it and then deleted after he worked out his angst.

For Lin-Manuel, this is a delicious serving of getting back what you're dishing out. He probably felt completely woke, staging an all-minority musical with roles for all kinds of talented Black, Asian, Latinx with an "x" people, only to have it blow up in his face. He shoulda made a blacker, more Latinx-er show, and stopped giving roles to light-skinned passers, like himself.

by Anonymousreply 351March 22, 2021 5:31 PM

It's not easy being Millennial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352March 22, 2021 5:38 PM

^ That's a satirical account. Right?

by Anonymousreply 353March 22, 2021 5:45 PM

I know just the thing to fix an extreme lack of Wessonality!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 22, 2021 5:48 PM

[quote] only to have it blow up in his face

r351 do you think this is going to even make a tiny ripple?

by Anonymousreply 355March 22, 2021 6:00 PM

From what I understand Jussie had similar feelings of discontent that lead to self destructive behavior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356March 22, 2021 6:05 PM

R356 And Jussie had to set up a faux hate crime to prove a point! Just like Megan and the chorus boy have to create enemies in their heads. Pathetic!

by Anonymousreply 357March 22, 2021 7:58 PM

Re-reading the essay, I feel kind of bad for the guy, but the truth is, the theatre has never been an easy place for anyone involved.

by Anonymousreply 358March 22, 2021 8:39 PM

"He shoulda made a blacker, more Latinx-er show, and stopped giving roles to light-skinned passers, like himself."

Well, no, IMHO what made "Hamilton" popular is that it's a good show, of course, but also that it made hip-hop palatable to Broadway's well-to-do white and white-ish audiences. He went blacker than anyone had in ages and carried it off, and got praised to the skies and filthy rich for doing so.

But of course nothing is ever enough for the Wokies, because they're a bunch of chickenshits who'd rather attack their allies than their enemies, because their allies won't fight back and their real enemies will. So there's nothing they like better than a chance to look at someone who's broken barriers or done great work in their field... and whine that they haven't done enough.

by Anonymousreply 359March 22, 2021 9:40 PM

LMM left out the very people whose land his musical was about was stolen from. How groundbreaking to ignore Indigenous people.

by Anonymousreply 360March 22, 2021 9:45 PM

bravo r359

[quote] they're a bunch of chickenshits who'd rather attack their allies than their enemies, because their allies won't fight back and their real enemies will.

Never heard that better said. It also applies to most of the BIPOC advocacy groups in the theater space. White American Theater needs to change a lot but they've also given the most opportunities to BIPOC artists

by Anonymousreply 361March 22, 2021 10:43 PM

Is this guy really worth all this attention? He's mentally ill, and he self-published that essay.

I don't think he's exempt from critcism, but going on and on about him seems pointless. He's really only hurting himself at this point.

by Anonymousreply 362March 22, 2021 10:47 PM

You say "He's really only hurting himself at this point".

But he's reinforcing our opinions against the coming generation of millennial whiners who embrace the new culture of Victimhood..

by Anonymousreply 363March 22, 2021 10:51 PM

Attention seeker.

Next!

by Anonymousreply 364March 22, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]White American Theater needs to change a lot

What a lotta crap.

by Anonymousreply 365March 22, 2021 11:28 PM

R350 Ew, no fats or ethnics.

by Anonymousreply 366March 23, 2021 1:21 AM

His facial features remind me of a German fashion designer called Harald Glööckler. The latter is mainly to criticize for his bad choice of plastic surgeons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367March 23, 2021 1:41 AM

[quote]But of course nothing is ever enough for the Wokies, because they're a bunch of chickenshits who'd rather attack their allies than their enemies, because their allies won't fight back and their real enemies will. So there's nothing they like better than a chance to look at someone who's broken barriers or done great work in their field... and whine that they haven't done enough.

Yup. Martina. RuPaul. JK Rowling. LMM. Etc.

by Anonymousreply 368March 23, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote] White American Theater needs to change a lot

Why? How?

Entertainment is available via so many electronic media nowdays.

People said American Theater needed to change back in the 50s that but all that spurred was revivals for the ageing regular theatre-goers.

'Hamilton' was a one-off. I haven't seen any 'Washingtons' or 'Jeffersons'.

by Anonymousreply 369March 23, 2021 1:50 AM

R367 eek!! Someone step on it!

by Anonymousreply 370March 23, 2021 1:53 AM

I'm still waiting for millionaire Miranda to make a statement on this very sad case. Miranda has profited from the suffering of his servants.

He is a cracker!

by Anonymousreply 371March 23, 2021 1:56 AM

Yall think Tyler Perry will read this and give this brother a job?

by Anonymousreply 372March 23, 2021 3:36 AM

r365 as with most things, except perhaps for you, there's some nuance to consider. Are the leadership and boards of most theaters in the US snow-blindingly white? Yes. Do you they premiere more BIPOC works than any other source? Yes. Are they comfortable places for BIPOC staffers and artists to work? Probably not. Is the absurdity of this [italic]Hamilton[/italic] guy's lament harmful to the cause. Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 373March 23, 2021 12:35 PM

NO ONE is stopping well off black Americans from producing theater they want to see, or at least won't object to.

Going to commercial theater has a large middle class audience and a LOT of white people are in this demographic. What do people expect? America is basically 13% African American, and I'd say on stage the actors are close to that as far as diversity in casting. What there isn't is diversity in the the producers, but it's not like anybody is stopping anyone from sinking their money into a Broadway show, learning the ropes of this fairly small club, and risk losing everything, the way most shows do.

Clearly the music world has a great number of would-be producers who can finance theater. The whole idea is you have to produce shows a LOT of people want to see. It isn't easy.

by Anonymousreply 374March 24, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote] NO ONE is stopping well off black Americans from producing theater they want to see

To wit, Lavarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375March 24, 2021 2:33 AM

R374 They were literally giving away free tickets to black people to come and see Slave Play and they still couldn't fill the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 376March 24, 2021 6:48 AM

R376 That's the same for this generously taxpayer-supported Australian indigenous company.

We got free tickets and in the interval we spoke to others who all said they also were given free tickets.

You can't force people to go to the theatre if they have no idea what 'live theatre' is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377March 24, 2021 6:58 AM

R369, I beg your pardon! May I present one of the greatest musical numbers from one of the greatest shows...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378March 24, 2021 7:02 AM

How’s Man 6 tonight, have the meds kicked in yet?

by Anonymousreply 379March 24, 2021 7:06 AM

He would make a good bf for ray fisher

by Anonymousreply 380March 27, 2021 2:36 AM

He would make a good ashtray for monty clift

by Anonymousreply 381March 27, 2021 7:34 AM

Is this guy's 13 minutes over?

by Anonymousreply 382March 27, 2021 11:55 AM

Yes. No traction. Thankfully for him and all concerned.

by Anonymousreply 383March 27, 2021 3:30 PM

Has he quit show biz?

Voluntarily or involuntarily?

by Anonymousreply 384March 27, 2021 4:49 PM

Sometimes people are not aware that they are not pleasant to be around. Sometimes people believe they are more talented than they actually are.

I'd like to speak with some of his co-workers. I'm sure they'd have a very interesting different view.

Most problem people I've ever worked with never saw themselves as the problem - and they were the most unbending personalities you'd ever meet. "That's who I am - I shouldn't have to change for other people".

Bitch - YOU are the problem. How many more messages do you need from the universe?

by Anonymousreply 385March 27, 2021 5:04 PM

Man 6, Man UP!

by Anonymousreply 386March 28, 2021 4:48 PM

WE SEE YOU NON-WHITE MAN 6!

by Anonymousreply 387March 28, 2021 4:49 PM

Wow is your WE SEE YOU schtick not funny, here and on the theatre threads.

by Anonymousreply 388March 28, 2021 5:37 PM

Some of us find it funny. The board is not intended for the pretentiously uber serious...

by Anonymousreply 389March 28, 2021 8:29 PM

Oh for FUCK'S SAKE. While I believe there may have been some shady shenanigans going on in this company, as there are in almost any employment situation, this guy has created an entire universe of imagined wrongs against him. He uses confirmation bias to turn absolutely everything into a slight against him for being black and gay. The biggest issue here, I believe, is that he's not mentally equipped to handle the rigors of a career in show business, and being in Hamilton magnified his shortcomings. I actually feel sorry for him because his entire belief system is rooted in placing the blame for any and every knock that comes his way on personal persecution from the outside. But does he ever ask himself how he's contributed to his situation with his negativity? Is there institutionalized racism? Absolutely. Does it pervade show biz? Absolutely. Do I believe that every single thing he wrote here has its origin in that? Fuck no. He needs to work in an office, and forget about the biz. He's far too fragile.

by Anonymousreply 390April 1, 2021 1:14 AM

He's representative of an entire generation who has somehow come to believe an employer is there to serve them. It's everywhere with that age group.

by Anonymousreply 391April 1, 2021 4:24 PM

...and that everything you feel is someone else's fault—and responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 392April 1, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote] I believe in talent. I know you're not supposed to believe in that anymore because you're supposed to believe if you just work hard you can do anything. That's how you succeed, maybe. But talent is something you're born with. You cannot acquire it by working hard, and you cannot lose it by lying around either.

That's a quote from Fran Leibowitz on talent. I immediately thought of this, as I read this man's critique of the choreographers or directors who criticized his dancing.

Representation of all brown, black, and other underrepresented minority people should be increased, but there are times when I read such critiques as this man's and think we'll end up in re-segregated societies.

by Anonymousreply 393April 1, 2021 5:29 PM

Charlie, do you seriously think black and brown people are UNDERrepresented in this industry? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 394April 1, 2021 5:42 PM

R391 I think it's more they all think they're oh-so-talented and lacking success because they're somehow being held back by "the man" - it's why they're all so desperate to insist they're victims

by Anonymousreply 395April 1, 2021 6:11 PM

If Man 6 were talented enough, he would have been a principal. Clearly he wasn't , and his talents and skills were what as commonly referred to as a "Keep the Curtain Up" performance.

by Anonymousreply 396April 1, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]He's representative of an entire generation who has somehow come to believe an employer is there to serve them. It's everywhere with that age group.

Was it in "Work Friend" recently where a company had hired a young woman and her first thing on the job was to state she thought she would be supervised by a woman, not a man, with the implication she intended them to do something about it?

by Anonymousreply 397April 1, 2021 8:41 PM

R394 That's why Lavarious Slaughter set up his own theatre company. Man 6 should seek employment there

by Anonymousreply 398April 2, 2021 12:03 AM

R394, I don't know, but I suspect that they are underrepresented amongst producers. Choreographers, directors, and what not probably not. But my point was that you don't ave to be Black to understand hip hop, which was what this guy was suggesting. Talent knows no color.

by Anonymousreply 399April 2, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote]If Man 6 were talented enough, he would have been a principal. Clearly he wasn't , and his talents and skills were what as commonly referred to as a "Keep the Curtain Up" performance.

I grew up in NYC and my career was in publicity. I have seen hundreds of Broadway and Off-Broadway productions over the years (age 72) Some of the best performances I've ever seen have been given by understudies/standbys. Many replacements and understudies were better than the person they replaced or covered.

I remember one night I was attending a performance of "PLENTY" at the Public Theater in the early 80s. I was standing in line right behind Shirley MacLaine, in line waiting to enter the theater as an announcement came over the loud speaker indicating that Kate Nelligan would not be appearing and her understudy would be on. The woman in front of Shirley groaned and thrust her Playbill in the air, yelling at the usher "Take this back, I have no intention of paying all this money to watch her understudy" MaClaine snatched the Playbill from the womans hand and loudly announced " I LIKE UNDERSTUDIES" and disappeared into the theater. People applauded, many realizing MacLaine's break came as an understudy in Pajama Game

by Anonymousreply 400April 6, 2021 9:57 PM

R400 That's a great story.

I wish Shirl had snapped at her, "bitch...please" as she stormed past her.

by Anonymousreply 401April 6, 2021 9:59 PM

r401, it was quite the moment and Shirl was thinking on her feet and playing to an audience in the lobby. I think you will appreciate knowing that after she grabbed the playbill, she took an "Aurora Greenway" moment to compose herself, flipped her head back and clicked her high heels into the theatre to a smattering of applause. It was gay heaven. She looked fantastic in an orange high collared coat and flawless skin.

by Anonymousreply 402April 6, 2021 10:11 PM

I wouldn't say there's an equivalency between "Man 6" and understudying Kate Nelligan. Directors pay attention to their primary understudies. Not to Men and Women 6.

by Anonymousreply 403April 7, 2021 2:12 AM

I listen to Daniel on a podcast interview and he sounds disappointingly normal.

by Anonymousreply 404April 7, 2021 3:13 AM

I think we can make "Meh, he's just a man 6" happen on DL with a little effort

by Anonymousreply 405April 7, 2021 5:19 PM

Is this thread STILL GOING?

by Anonymousreply 406April 8, 2021 2:48 PM

Boo hoo Man 6 you have NOTHING to complain about. You're just a big baby. Get me a potato.

by Anonymousreply 407April 8, 2021 3:01 PM

This guy and Karen Olivo should do a tour of [italic]They're Playing Our Song[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 408April 15, 2021 12:30 PM

You can a singing telegram from him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409June 14, 2021 4:22 PM

R409: You can a singing telegram from him

by Anonymousreply 410June 15, 2021 7:11 AM

Poor guy. He really did throw away his shot.

by Anonymousreply 411June 15, 2021 11:01 AM

I'm sorry r410 a missing "get" does not merit an "oh dear."

by Anonymousreply 412June 15, 2021 12:04 PM

[quote] "There is an extreme lack of intersectionality"

How do I acquire 'Intersectionality'?

Can I purchase it? Can I get some wholesale or get a cheap Chinese copy?

by Anonymousreply 413June 15, 2021 12:42 PM

R413, this guy is such an idiot.

He has no idea what the words he are using even mean.

by Anonymousreply 414June 15, 2021 1:54 PM

I studied Cultural Studies (the precursor to whatever the fuck this kid thinks he's doing) in graduate school a long time ago, and the first thing you do with blather like that is analyze the sentence.

If you diagram/analyze that sentence, you get: "lack of intersectionality juxtaposes identities." A lack can't juxtapose anything. Actually a lack can't do anything. And I don't think he knows "juxtapose" means.

by Anonymousreply 415June 15, 2021 2:00 PM

Now is the time for this crazy bitch to go after Lin Manuel Miranda!

by Anonymousreply 416June 15, 2021 2:06 PM

R412, It does indeed, when you fuck up a SEVEN WORD SENTENCE.

by Anonymousreply 417June 17, 2021 6:29 AM

I'm sending you a singing FUCK YOU telegram r417

by Anonymousreply 418June 17, 2021 11:53 AM

He complains about being "marginalized" and given nothing to do on stage, but when he gets a chance to go on in a principal role he ducks out early in Act One?

Setting the hypocrisy aside, he wilfully threw a castmate into the position of having to go on in his stead with no time to prepare--and, for those who nhaven't seen H, this is a very intricately-staged production.

I can't believe he seriously thinks anyone is going to hire him for anything in the theater after that.

by Anonymousreply 419June 17, 2021 3:58 PM

It is fascinating to read this. The producers treated him well. The SM did his job. But he resents them all because of his own entitlement.

His entitlement runs so deep that he expects the reader to go along with it, even though he provides no evidence that he was in any way mistreated.

Fascinating!

by Anonymousreply 420June 17, 2021 4:06 PM

I'm afraid this is the new workplace we're all coming back into

by Anonymousreply 421June 18, 2021 12:26 PM

Typical spoiled millennial. They think everything in the workplace is about them.

by Anonymousreply 422June 18, 2021 4:58 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 423October 16, 2021 1:45 PM

I am still enjoying that this man does not understand what intersectionality means.

by Anonymousreply 424October 16, 2021 2:21 PM

I agree his mental condition prevents him from having any real perspective on the effect his behaviour has on those around him, but the thing I find cynical is his clear implication that Man 6 is marginalized because ONLY Man 6 is always played by a black actor, thus Man 6's marginalization is because he's black.

What he fails to point out is that Man 6 is the understudy for George Washington because WASHINGTON IS ALSO ALWAYS PLAYED BY A BLACK MAN. As is Jefferson. And Burr. So Man 6 is NOT marginalized because he's black, he's marginalized because the role is the bottom of the totem pole, barely needed in the play, and that's how it was written by that (unfortunately for his thesis) not-white guy LMM. Those other black dudes who were actually cast in those starring roles impressed the white casting director and the white musical director enough to get those roles, and this guy didn't. Proving beyond doubt, I'd have thought, that his experience as Man 6 was nothing to do with racism.

PS I do agree, as a separate issue, that it's poor if the backstage team was as entirely white as he says.

by Anonymousreply 425October 16, 2021 2:30 PM

R424 - nobody does. At least, nobody who hasn't been paid or bribed with a degree by a university to listen to that stuff till their brain bleeds out through their ears.

by Anonymousreply 426October 16, 2021 2:32 PM

People would kill for his job but he can't get out of his own way to recognize that.

by Anonymousreply 427October 16, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote]PS I do agree, as a separate issue, that it's poor if the backstage team was as entirely white as he says.

You do know that hiring, or not hiring someone because of their race is illegal, right? It is not the responsibility of ANYONE working on a show to create mosaics of races in every department, so when the wokesters glance upon them they find a pleasing sight! The real world hires the best they can for the money and is satisfied, even if the stage management team (four people?) might not look like the United Colors of Benetton!

Does Man 6 think it is his purview to do a once over of the entire production and chime in with his demands on who gets hired? This is an absolutely outrageous notion on its very face! This man is clearly mentally afflicted.

by Anonymousreply 428October 17, 2021 5:35 AM

George Washington in Hamilton is NOT always played by a black actor.

On one of the tours he is played by an Asian actor and has been for several years now.

by Anonymousreply 429October 1, 2022 8:49 AM

[quote] This man is clearly mentally afflicted.

R428 No, he 's just a normal woke millennial who believes what he's told and has no experience of the harshness of life.

by Anonymousreply 430October 1, 2022 8:55 AM

[quote] Is 'intersectionality' an abstract concept? Can I touch it?

R1 It is a euphemism or 'a weasel word' to describe things they don't want to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 431October 1, 2022 9:16 AM

[quote] how inhabiting or being viewed in simultaneous multiple identity categories produces conditions different from simply adding them together

I still don't understand this, R16.

So 'viewing' something is different from 'adding' something?

by Anonymousreply 432October 1, 2022 9:26 AM

I disagree, r430. I think he's pretty unsound--in addition to being "woke" or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 433October 1, 2022 1:16 PM

Looks like the sad thing has been eatin' her feelins....

She's too fat for Hamilton now.

None of the costumes would fit.

by Anonymousreply 434October 1, 2022 9:52 PM

Music is therapeutic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435October 1, 2022 10:00 PM

well, you know, good for him.

by Anonymousreply 436October 1, 2022 10:01 PM

What kind of job does a Master's in Musical Therapy get you?

A job in a retirement village as Musical director?

Vocal coach at a high school for the autistic and neurotic?

Ms Michele's personal assistant at Funny Girl?

by Anonymousreply 437October 1, 2022 10:07 PM

Why are we still discussing ancient history?

by Anonymousreply 438October 2, 2022 1:47 AM

Because, R438, the OP tells us this case is 'catnip'. This case is a lesson for all of us.

by Anonymousreply 439October 2, 2022 1:49 AM

Remember this? This was fun!

by Anonymousreply 440November 14, 2022 12:12 PM

Any updates?

by Anonymousreply 441November 14, 2022 1:07 PM

R20 oh damn! I once was an extra at the opera house in a big production and had a blast. Maybe if he hadn't expected this role to be a career defining make-or-break thing, he would have fared better. He seems a bitter cunt.

by Anonymousreply 442November 14, 2022 1:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!