Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

i wish more men dressed like the male counselors in Sleepaway Camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80April 19, 2022 12:02 AM

Lad in red.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2020 1:25 AM

Treasure trail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2020 1:26 AM

Was this a gay horror film? Or "gay coded" since it was the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2020 1:27 AM

Why the fuck would they need belts? Those shorts aren't going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] Why the fuck would they need belts? Those shorts aren't going anywhere.

Hilarious & very true. IIRC, jeans shorts and belts were a look in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2020 1:33 AM

The subtext is off the charts with this one.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2020 1:36 AM

You're spoiling the end of this movie OP! :D

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2020 1:46 AM

That's one whacky movie. Gotta love it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2020 1:49 AM

I'm not a big fan of guys in Daisy Dukes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2020 1:56 AM

I watched it for the first time this summer. Loved it. Complete trash and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2020 2:02 AM

I went to sleepaway school!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2020 2:05 AM

R2 he was hot.

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2020 4:10 AM

At the beginning it features two gay dads raising kids.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2020 4:14 AM

The guy in OP's pic was my favorite. Nice body on him. I liked his death scene.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2020 4:16 AM

Cunt Rebecca Gay would not approve.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2020 4:32 AM

I had a pair of denim shorts JUST like Op's ! I used to roll them up too. I had great legs and a great ass and I liked showing them. Those shorts got me plenty, and I do mean plenty of dick ! R2 is hot as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2020 4:57 AM

Did you use condoms?

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2020 5:17 AM

Just what is your damage, r9? Did you eat a brain tumor for lunch?

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2020 6:30 AM

I just watched Sleep Away Camp 2 tonight. I need to watch the original.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2020 7:07 AM

The guy in first pair of shorts looks like he has no male genitals to speak of.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2020 7:45 AM

The first two Sleepaway Camp films are awesome. 3 could be better but has it's moments. 4 is just 30 minutes of unfinished footage padded with clips from the previous films and should be avoided at all costs. Return to Sleepaway Camp was dreadful. The only good thing about it was that 3 of the main characters from the first film returned. Still undecided on who was the better Angela. Felissa Rose (Sleepaway Camp and Return to Sleepaway Camp) or Pamela Springsteen (Bruce's younger sister, Sleepaway Camps 2 and 3). They were going to make another sequel which would feature Original Angela, Ricky and Aunt Martha called Sleepaway Camp Reunion but it never went through.

This film would be impossible to make/remake today.

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2020 8:16 AM

Both this and Sleepaway Camp 2 are my favorites

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2020 8:34 AM

Sleepaway Camp 2 is so fun with Renee Estivez pre-Heathers. I loved the bitchy girl Alley who was always showing her tits. Angela was especially witty. I think 2 is my favorite. The Shit Sisters.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2020 8:52 AM

*** Spoiler alert if you haven't seen this movie yet ***

They got a young guy (of legal age) to shoot that final full frontal scene, and got him drunk on a few beers because he was nervous. He was wearing a mask cast from Felissa Rose's face.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2020 2:19 PM

I was a Sleepaway camp counselor for two summers in the 80's at a posh camp in Maine. Best sex life I've ever enjoyed! I was a sailing instructor and had access to the equipment cabin on the lakefront - perfect for trysts.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2020 2:36 PM

Who were you fucking?

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2020 2:46 PM

I went to sleepaway camp and we would jerk off in the showers. I remember all the counselors were college students and they had these huge cocks. I was like 12. We didn't j/o with the counselors, but they would change in front of us.

The best killing of part 2 was Ally being shoved in the toilet.

Angela: What's in there?

Ally: Shit?

Angela: If I may borrow your favorite word, you have been a shitty friend and a shitty camper - ha!

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2020 3:57 PM

[quote] The subtext is off the charts with this one.

Subtext is just an anagram for buttsex.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2020 4:12 PM

"This film would be impossible to make/remake today."

R1, How so? If it's due to the increased awareness in trans rights, if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I watched the original), it was Angela's mother that raised him to be a girl because she wanted a daughter. It doesn't necessarily mean that Angela was actually transgender herself.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2020 3:55 PM

I've heard trans people defending this movie because it's not Angela's choice to be trans. It was forced on her, but a lot of woker than thou cis folks are still taking it upon themselves to be offended by this movie for trans people and they'd probably be the ones who'd stage all the boycotts and cancel everyone involved if this was remade.

The sequels turn Angela into the hero and has her killing rude people and racists. That might be some of the most positive trans representation I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2020 7:32 PM

Couldn't they remake it where the character is intersex and assigned the wrong gender at birth?

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2020 7:37 PM

Silence of the Lambs had a tranny theme that showed them as complex people and that is still a Oscar worthy classic.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2020 6:26 AM

Fuck Angela. They need to do a movie all about Aunt Martha.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2020 11:23 AM

Looks 👀 more like slutaway camp

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2020 11:29 AM

I doubt Silence of the Lambs would be made today without PC backlash.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2020 11:44 AM

R35 Oh it could be made but Buffalo Bill would be the hero, giving those cis women what they deserve

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2020 12:10 PM

I used to jerk off to Ronny’s bulge as a kid. How did that guy not pop wood in those shorts?

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2020 12:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2020 12:26 PM

I'm all for an Aunt Martha prequel. What a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2020 6:44 PM

Who would you cast?

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2020 6:46 PM

I went to a place called Camp Dudley. So many hot male counselors in short snug shorts. First gay wet dream there about one of them.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2020 6:50 PM

What current 30-something actor could possibly match Desiree Gould's weirdo performance as Martha? It's one of those performances that's so unique you can't really think of anything else remotely like it.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2020 7:06 PM

A million actresses could give Gould's vocal performance. It was her unusual build that made her stand out.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2020 7:26 PM

"Why does Angela get to hang out with all the boys????'

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2020 4:54 PM

No we DON'T NEED ANOTHER THREAD ON THIS, CopyCat Thread Thief who stole this idea from the "sleepaway school" thread, etc..!!!!

F&F this fucking freak OP who literally can't stop himself starting a new thread for every noun mentioned in a prior thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2020 5:08 PM

Datalounge overdiscussed this terrible film here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2020 5:10 PM

And here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2020 5:10 PM

And here JUST LAST WINTER:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2020 5:11 PM

And here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2020 5:11 PM

I am not OP, but the search isn't working very well. Sometimes you miss threads that have already been started unless you google the subject and then add DL after it - "sleep away camp 1983 datalounge"

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2020 5:37 PM

The Silence of the Lambs was criticized. I think it's why Jonathan Demme followed it up with Philadelphia. But the criticism was tame compared to what it would be today.

Anyway,. I'm shocked the guy who wrote/directed the original Sleepaway Camp is straight.

by Anonymousreply 51June 28, 2021 6:55 AM

They can, OP. All you need is a time machine.

by Anonymousreply 52June 28, 2021 1:05 PM

Short-shorts looked even better on thunder-thighed, fit-fat 1980s dads like Max Gail.

by Anonymousreply 53June 28, 2021 1:28 PM

According to Jonathan Tiersten, this movie actually had a major theatrical release. Tiersten has aged well. He looks about 10 younger than he is. I don't know if he's had plastic surgery or what.

by Anonymousreply 54July 6, 2021 10:58 AM

Tiersten could maybe even pass for late 30s.

by Anonymousreply 55July 6, 2021 11:05 AM

In some interviews, Tiersten talks about how he was baffled by all the over the top acting and was afraid the movie was a disaster. I find it weird that a totally green, non-product of nepotism teenaged actor would be that attentive. Wouldn't he just be happy to be there?

by Anonymousreply 56July 13, 2021 12:16 PM

I would have put this comment on the general "Sleepaway Camp" films thread but it's closed.

After recently watching the first three Sleepaway Camp films, I read all the threads I could find on the movies and none of them mentioned what I thought was a brilliant meta detail about the sequels.

In Sleepaway Camp 2, many of the characters are named after popular early 80s young actors (Brat Pack etc.) including Molly (Ringwald), Sean (Penn), Ally (Sheedy), TC (Cruise), Mare (Winningham), Demi (Moore), Lea (Thompson), Brooke (Shields), Jodi (Foster), Judd (Nelson), Charlie (Sheen), Phoebe (Cates), and Emilio (Estevez). And Molly (Renee Estevez) is the sister of Charlie and Emilio.

In Sleepaway Camp 3, many characters are named after The Brady Bunch (all the kids), West Side Story (Maria, Anita, Arab, Tony, Riff) and The Munsters (Herman and Lily).

by Anonymousreply 57October 15, 2021 4:55 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2021 9:03 AM

Oh bugger, I didn't see this thread before I added to the Friday 13th vs The Burning one. I'll copy and paste what I said about this movie here:

---

So, continuing my camp horror movies (as in holiday camp) I watched SLEEPAWAY CAMP tonight.

I really enjoyed it! There was a lot I thought it did well, compared to others of its type.

For a start it was refreshing to see none of the usual "male gaze" stuff. The only nudity was male arse (as usual), all in non-sexual ways. The movie instead did it better by rather than showing stuff, making one of the themes be about sexual predation. It's actually really horrific when you hear the cook talk about the young girls the way he does AND no one really worries too much about it. The use of actual young kids in this adds more to the feeling of danger, when you use 20 year olds as teens there's almost this feeling that none of it really matters, if that makes sense.

There's also a big theme here of useless adults, which I think must've been deliberate. Perhaps I'm reaching and it's because I was someone who was bullied a lot when younger who quickly realised how little the adults who were meant to be looking after you would protect you, but it is what I saw in this film.

Frankly, Angela killed mostly those who deserved it, exception being the kids in the sleeping bags, I guess. Oh, and I actually really liked her romance with her boyfriend, but I wonder if the movie was trying to show he wasn't that different maybe? I'm not sure. Or she had gone mad by then anyway.

As for the ending, well, I already knew about it, so it wasn't a surprise. I'm not sure what to think of it from the offense angle. Is it offensive? I'm not sure, and it's not for me to say. I would argue though that she can't really be considered transgendered - she had that forced on her by her nutty adopted mother. Also, was the memory of her father in bed with another man meant to be offensive too? I'm not sure, I feel so far removed from those days and intention, but it didn't feel like that to me. I thought at the beginning he had a nice bum, good to see he put it to some good use, I say! ;)

Yeah, I thought this was a good one (closing song was a bit weird though hehe). It's amazing some of the stuff they used to get away with. There is a real nasty feeling under the surface of this film which helps with the horror. It still has a bit of power to shock just because it couldn't do some of the stuff it did nowadays.

Oh, and interesting they had another archery seen here, similar to the set up to Friday the 13th, but this time it actually did what you expected.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2021 8:18 AM

It just occured to me (because I'm slow, I guess) that the kids killed in the sleeping bags were the kids throwing sand at Angela after she was thrown into the water by the other girls. So that makes more sense to me now.

The more I think about it too, the more I think Paul could actually be seen as the quintessential "nice guy", putting on a nice act but all the time pressuring and pushing.

There's actually a bit to think about with this film, which is quit enjoyable for a low budget horror.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2021 8:54 AM

[quote] Short-shorts looked even better on thunder-thighed, fit-fat 1980s dads like Max Gail.

Indeed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2021 10:40 AM

The short shorts really are something, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2021 11:23 AM

I love this movie, the 2nd one is my favorite though. It's comedy gold.

by Anonymousreply 63October 22, 2021 12:14 AM

Sleepaway Camp 2 has a really funny "Facts of life" reference/joke among other meta humor.

Sleepaway Camp 3 has some really cynical/merciless social satire/commentary. A really gross, awkward sex scene as well.

by Anonymousreply 64November 13, 2021 1:37 PM

[quote] F&F this fucking freak OP who literally can't stop himself starting a new thread for every noun mentioned in a prior thread.

Whoops! I accidentally clicked F&F for posts R45 through R49... I'm terrible at following instructions.

by Anonymousreply 65November 13, 2021 3:55 PM

Nice body, but kind of a butterface...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 13, 2021 3:58 PM

I found this review of this movie last night. I had to share it with my fellow gay men, who just need to press play for a few seconds and I'm sure you'll understand how it is I managed to watch the entire 50+ minutes of it, but was... distracted... for most of it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2021 9:30 AM

Paul DeAngelo....

Hot fucking damn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2021 9:51 AM

Hot damn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2021 9:52 AM

Live action clip....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2021 9:55 AM

For those not around those short shorts were standard issue for boys and men gym class or any other fitness all though from 1970 and into 1990s. This was before everyone started wearing those knee length drawers.

Gym, basketball, volleyball, biking, roller skating, jogging, etc... those shorts were standard athletic wear for guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2021 9:59 AM

Men's thighs are one of the most beautiful things out there. Show 'em off!

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2021 11:57 AM

Paul DeAngelo's shorts were OBSCENE. One impure thought and his wood would have been impossible to hide.

by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2021 5:16 PM

Go to any pride event, gays dressed just like this prance around looking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2021 5:24 PM

Ahh memories of summers in NYC during 1970's. Pity Steve Guttenberg wasn't wearing such shorts when he filmed opening sequence for "Can't Stop The Music"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2021 7:40 PM

However later on in film both Bruce Jenner and Steve Guttenberg did wear "short shorts".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 15, 2021 7:43 PM

R73

Who needed impure thoughts! Depending upon how much a guy or young man was packing everything was clearly visible.

Scroll through photos in link as proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2021 7:45 PM

See also....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2021 7:46 PM

Christopher Street and West streets, 1978

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 15, 2021 7:51 PM

Love that pic, R79!

I watched the three sequels last night (they are pretty short movies). I never intended to, the original is a movie I really enjoy, including all the weirdness and low budgetedness of it. I feel it succeeded against all odds, and not sure that would be sustained over sequels. And I feel I was right there, but the second one is campy fun in its own way, and I didn't have a bad time watching it at all hehe.

The third was pretty bad and uninteresting. The fourth, also done by the director of the first, was, while kinda repulsive in certain parts, at least an interesting watch, and I got a kick out of seeing some of the original actors back, and actually some good (and ridiculous) kills.

by Anonymousreply 80April 19, 2022 12:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!