Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

I finally watched this legendary slasher yesterday. This is one of those movies that could never be made today because it would be labeled both homophobic and transphobic. And quite deservedly too, since the movie strongly implies that the murderer is so fucked up because of his two gay dads.

And I love how horrible and over-the-top the acting is and all those 80's cut jeans and T-shirts on men. The movie definitely falls into the so bad it's good category. Any fans here?

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2018 4:07 AM

Actually the kid was fine with the two dads. It was the fucked-up, moralistic aunt that made him crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2014 4:38 PM

Very strange movie.

Everybody should see it once.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2014 4:54 PM

Best ending for a horror film ever! Has to be seen to be believed. Haven't seen it in years but I remember all the flack silence of the lambs got from gay rights groups for its depiction of a serial killer which wasn't warranted. This one was so low budget it just flew under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2014 5:00 PM

R1 Did you forget about the scene where a boy tries to kiss Angela and she gets a flashback of her two dads fucking and then suddenly runs away in panic.

by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2014 5:12 PM

Bruce Springsteen's sister Pamela played Angela in the horrible, black comedy-ish sequels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2014 12:49 AM

I agree with R1, the aunt was fucked up. The bio dad of the kid was hot.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2014 1:00 AM

I read a review once that said the main bad girl at the camp vamps it up so much with the hands and gestures as if she thought she were in a silent movie.

I love that they used real kids as extras but damn, some of those girls were ugly in the scene when they guys are trying to convince them to skinny dip.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2014 1:02 AM

That frozen look on the girl/boy killer's face at the end was priceless. I guess it was a mask>

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2014 1:03 AM

Only instance of death by hot curling iron in the cooch. (that I'm aware of anyway ...)

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2014 2:42 AM

WHET Christopher Collet? Hot twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2014 6:17 AM

Collet and his wife teach yoga in New York. Not sure if he still acts. He and the actor who played Ricky remain good friends. Not sure why he didn't take part in the new DVD documentary, though he was the only one from Sleepaway Camp to have even a minor acting career. (Firstborn, The Manhattan Project, The Tommyknockers)

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2014 12:51 PM

It's the Showgirls of horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 12June 10, 2014 1:54 PM

I used to fantasize about muscle-bound Ronny in his little shorts. I wish guys still wore those.

by Anonymousreply 13June 10, 2014 1:57 PM

[quote] It's the Showgirls of horror movies.

More like The Crying Game of horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 14June 10, 2014 6:07 PM

Ronny bulge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 10, 2014 7:12 PM

I liked this movie, but I hated the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 16June 10, 2014 7:43 PM

Ronnie? Gross. If you weren't fantasizing about Gene, you weren't paying attention.

Here he is in his only other film role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 10, 2014 7:50 PM

Was Judy a drag queen?

by Anonymousreply 18June 11, 2014 3:12 AM

A trip down memory lane .... RIP, Judy ... you CUNT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 11, 2014 3:24 AM

Angela ...she's a MAN, baby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 11, 2014 3:30 AM

The child molester cook really freaked me out when I first saw this

by Anonymousreply 21June 11, 2014 3:32 AM

Love this crazy movie. I still find it really creepy. Sure, it's campy as hell, but there's something really disturbing about it. Aunt Martha's acting especially. I always felt that's what real insanity looks like.

by Anonymousreply 22June 11, 2014 3:36 AM

That last shot was SERIOUSLY disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 23June 11, 2014 12:32 PM

Definitely not a California cast. They must have plumbed the depths of Long AND Staten Island for actors.

by Anonymousreply 24June 11, 2014 12:42 PM

Agreed, R23. That was the only scene in a horror movie that gave me nightmares. Whoever did the mask was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 25June 11, 2014 1:33 PM

Here's the last scene in all it's delicious glory!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 11, 2014 1:36 PM

Fun fact: Jane Krakowski was originally cast as "Judy" but backed out when she found out her character would die from taking a hot curling iron to the vagina.

by Anonymousreply 27June 11, 2014 1:48 PM

I just watched this for the first time and am still taking in what I saw. That's hilarious what someone said upthread about the actress who played Judy acting like she's in a silent movie.

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2018 2:19 PM

R26 That still is terrifying. I need to check it out sometime.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2018 6:40 PM

I love the second one too, it's so bad its funny.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2018 8:09 PM

[R19] Jane Krakowski was originally cast as Judy but couldn't get out of a previous booking.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2018 9:18 PM

Only instance of death by hot curling iron in the cooch. (that I'm aware of anyway ...)

Ah, this is the movie I was thinking of; yes, I remember watching at sleep over and being very disturbed! I mean, yes, a curling iron up your cooch would hurt, but kill you?

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2018 10:06 PM

You'd probably want it to kill you.

by Anonymousreply 33June 29, 2018 12:18 AM

Inspired by this again, I watched the movie again today on YouTube and I discovered this documentary (a DVD/Bluray extra?), which has some great interviews with the cast and behind-the-scenes anecdotes. The young female lead is a very charming and bubbly adult:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2018 1:05 AM

r17, great video, that man is sexy af.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2018 1:20 AM

LOVE this movie

by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2018 1:31 AM

I think the first one is overrated and the only parts that were memorable were the curling iron scene and of course the ending. The acting was horrible mostly and not in an enjoyable way. They should've gotten a more androgynous male to have done the ending scene because Felissa Rose's body was nothing like the guy they picked to do the scene with.

I actually enjoyed the second one the most. One of the more entertaining horror movies of the late 80s. The third one, which was shot right after the second one, seemed was almost a retread of the second, only not as nearly entertaining.

Return to Sleepaway Camp. Well the less said about that shitfest of a movie, the better. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not one redeeming thing about it. I feel bad for the fans who had to wait 5 long years for it come out and that hated it (seemingly most of them).

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2018 1:36 AM

They aren't two dads. The other man lives there. The dads gay lover.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2018 2:02 AM

Angela looked like Sarah Silverman.

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2018 2:09 AM

The thing that struck me most the weird pedophile vibe it has.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2018 2:21 AM

God the acting is so bad in this. I think the award goes to the waterskier at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2018 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!