Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The "Sleepaway Camp" films

Has there been a more bizarre, ridiculous horror film series? The first one is high camp with hard-edged horror, while the following two sequels (which replaced Felissa Rose with Pamela Springsteen, now a post-op trans female killer) are outright ridiculous. The hilarious one-liners in those two are myriad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2020 3:02 AM

I remember having a brief obsession with these films as a teenager. and being soooo excited to buy the boxed set.

I wonder if they could remake this movie so it could be more trans-friendly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 10:09 PM

The last thing we need is a PC version of this

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 10:13 PM

I'm still wondering to this day if Desiree Gould who played Aunt Martha in the first film was trans or intersex.

The 4th film was unfinished so they horribly edited it together using clips from previous films with a narration on top to make a full film. They were going to do another sequel to the original after Return to Sleepaway Camp (which pulled a Halloween and ignored the events of movies 2-4) called Sleepaway Camp Reunion but it was shelved. It would've featured the return of (Felissa Rose's) Angela, Ricky and Aunt Martha.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 10:18 PM

Oh, I'm a happy camper... I like to drink and fuck.

And if you pay me money, my titties you can suck.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 10:22 PM

R3 I think anyone who's seen the film has thought the same thing. There is something notably odd about her, though the character (whether written that way or not) is bizarre on its own. This is an interview with her from a little 10 years ago. Her voice sounds very feminine to me, but when you look at her facial features and the size of her hands, it does give pause.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 10:23 PM

The fashion was great too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 2:50 AM

Gould was/is rather androgynistic looking. After seeing younger photos of her though, I think she is probably biologically female. Just one with strong features.

I actually prefer the second and third ones in the series with Pamela Springsteen.

The less said about Return to Sleepaway Camp, the better.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 3:08 AM

love Sleepaway Camp 2, so funny and so 80's

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 3:13 AM

A younger Gould. She's actually kind of pretty here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 3:13 AM

The first one was good only because of that shocking ending. Didn't see it coming when I was a kid and that opened mouth grimace from Felissa Rose is the stuff of nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 3:13 AM

R10 Pretty much. Although the hot curling iron up the cooch scene was rather memorable too. Even thought it wasn't explicitly shown.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 3:18 AM

Another picture of a young Gould. She looks like a natural-born female to me here, especially taking into account the thinness of her neck, but I could be wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 3:18 AM

R7 I agree. Her manner of speaking (not just voice) is quite feminine, too.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 3:19 AM

I took a quick glance at r9's post and thought it was Rachel Griffiths.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 3:22 AM

The hot iron up the pussy is what I remember most

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 3:22 AM

WHET to the guy in the first movie that got killed by bees taking a "wicked dump"

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2020 3:42 PM

R16 He is now a fashion designer under the name Loris Diran.

He's had some odd looking work done on his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2020 4:45 PM

Yikes! Steve Antin Part 2.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2020 5:17 PM

r9 She looks like she might have Swyer syndrome or AIS. Many of these "women" look a bit masculine because well, they are really men. Like Jamie Lee Curtis ( I know its a rumor).

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2020 5:33 PM

I love these movies! I still remember the first time we rented the original and what a fun time it was watching. It's so hilarious and trashy. We still quote it regularly. I was thrilled when I got a free poster for Sleepway Camp II from the video store in the late 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2020 5:58 PM

Love these movies! I think I like the 2nd one the best. It's such a campy good time and Pamela Springsteen is really great as Angela. I wish she still acted. She was very charming.

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2020 6:31 PM

I love the beginning of Part 2 when someone asks what happened to Angela. Someone says there's a rumor she's playing the dark haired girl on The Facts of Life lol

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2020 6:44 PM

I have seen the first 2 movies. Should I bother with the third?

by Anonymousreply 23May 3, 2020 7:03 AM

The third is the least of the original trilogy but it still has some fun moments. It's pretty short at only around 80 minutes so not a huge investment.

by Anonymousreply 24May 3, 2020 7:06 AM

[Quote] It's pretty short at only around 80 minutes so not a huge investment.

I don't see that as a bad thing. If it were made now I think it would be at least 100 mins.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2020 7:36 AM

The sequels are streaming on tubi tv right now.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2020 2:54 PM

I still can’t watch this movie. The ending terrified me as a kid!

by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2020 3:38 PM

Me too R27. The face, which I later found out was a mask, freaked me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2020 3:53 PM

I did find something very unnerving about the original when I was a kid. The mix of mean spiritedness, the gender fuckery, actual kids being killed, Aunt Martha, that weird gay sex scene that the kids spy on, and the ending reveal really made it a memorable experience for me. Love it or hate it, it's not your average summer camp slasher movie. There's so much more going on.

The first two sequels feel more like Serial Mom, Jr. which isn't a bad thing at all, but the tone of those two movies is very different from the first film. Sometimes, I pull them out if I'm feeling down. They're oddly comforting like a lot of those cheesy slashers from that time period.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2020 6:27 PM

Final shot gif.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 4, 2020 1:19 PM

Yes, I love that Facts of Life joke in the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2020 9:17 PM

R30 I think what is scary is she has a full grown man’s torso and muscular thighs. I wonder who that body double was.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2020 9:26 PM

I think they've tried to find him for reunions and such and he doesn't want to be recognized. According to people who were there he was a local college kid hired for the part and he was extremely nervous and had to be plied with alcohol to get the shot.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2020 9:39 PM

Judy is one of the great horror BITCHES of the genre.

Felissa is a sweetheart. I've met her several times.

Christopher Collet was a crush when I was a tween

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2020 9:41 PM

What a BITCH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2020 9:42 PM

R34 Felissa Rose was too pretty and not believable as a man.Maybe if they cast an actress like Jamie lee..

by Anonymousreply 36May 14, 2020 9:44 PM

R33 Interesting to read. He had a really nice build and If that dick is a grower, yum.

by Anonymousreply 37May 14, 2020 9:54 PM

Carpenter’s dream.....flat as a board and needs a screw.

by Anonymousreply 38May 14, 2020 10:06 PM

This is one of my favorite lines in movies history

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 14, 2020 10:42 PM

I always wondered if Pamela forced her family to sit through these movies. Since they never had a theatrical release, the only way they could have all seen it was to rent the video from the video store. I can just imagine Bruce sitting through this on Pamela's living room couch and just being like what the fuck is this?!

by Anonymousreply 40May 14, 2020 11:13 PM

Who was the better Angela? Felissa or Pamela?

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2020 2:44 AM

This is the only teen horror movie I've ever seen where it's the boys who are prancing around in next to nothing, while the director seems to revel in making the girls look unattractive. Adding to the oddness is that the boys at the camp seem to range from about 8 to 25.

I assumed the director was a queen, but he's married and seems straight, so I just don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2020 3:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!