Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Barbara Ryan?

Is Fashions still open? I saw the most darling caftan in the window and if it's the Simply Barbara line, I simply MUST have it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379October 2, 2020 4:56 AM

Ten years ago today - hard to believe ATWT has been off the air for ten years.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2020 4:54 PM

Was Fashions a set that was still in use at the end of shows run? It lasted a long time if that’s the case, since Barbara and Lisa opened the store in 1981 or so.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 4:57 PM

I don't think so, R2. I think it wasn't referred to much in the Hogan Sheffer years either.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 5:02 PM

I liked when Johnny Dixon referred to Barbara's clothing line as "Simply Barracuda"

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 5:10 PM

That ole Johnny D!

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 5:13 PM

Most of her best and most hilarious scenes have been removed from YouTube. It's too bad because they were priceless.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 5:35 PM

Poor CZP has 2 dui’s to her credit. Is she even allowed to drive anymore??

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 5:55 PM

R7 you are not welcome here, or in any of the threads. Take your nonsense to whatever other place puts up with your fuckery and bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 5:58 PM

R8 can’t handle FACTS? It’s not even gossip. Its a fact that CZP has been arrested TWICE for DUI. Twice!

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2020 8:42 PM

R8 YOU

ARE

NOT

WELCOME

HERE

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2020 8:44 PM

Correction: R9

YOU

ARE

NOT

WELCOME

HERE

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2020 8:44 PM

And anyway, Colleen Zenk has had enough sorrow over the last decade that if she wanted to swim in a pool of vodka, I'd give her the pool noodles and the bikini to do it.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 8:47 PM

R2 Yes, technically, Fashions was still around nearly right up to end. .. In May 2010, TPTB did that "50 Years of Lisa" anniversary special, and in the opening scene, we saw Tom bring Lisa a coffee at Fashions where she was working. Lisa thanked Tom, but warned him not to spill it on the merchandise. After some more banter, she asked her son, if he knew what tomorrow was, and when he feigned he didn't, she told him it was the 50th anniversary of her arrival in Oakdale. (Bob and Tom were actually planning some kind of party for her.) .. Later, she was seen helping a young man buy a cocktail dress for his wife. He worried that it had to be perfect, explaining they'd had a rough start in their new marriage; leading Lisa to remember a conversation between her and Young Bob.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 9:00 PM

Is r7 Spicen or the 2015 Bump Bitch? (I already had him blocked.)

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 9:05 PM

Excited to see the scorching hot Melanie Smith and Andrew Kavovit next week on the Locher Room!

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 9:13 PM

It's tomorrow, r15, at 2:00 eastern.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 9:30 PM

R14 I don't know, but whoever it is, they aren't getting the message that we are profoundly uninterested in SON style gossip here.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Julie Andrews daughter (Emma Walton Hamilton) played Barbara's cellmate on "As The World Turns"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 9:46 PM

I think GL could have been saved at the end. It was actually good for the last 9 months. Could ATWT been saved?

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2020 10:08 PM

They should have both gone to 30 minutes in 2005. They might still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 11:07 PM

I'd love to see some images of Fashions. I thought the retail operations of Oakdale moved to the riverfront. No?

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 11:12 PM

Oh, so confused! I thought you were discussing moi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2020 11:18 PM

What? Not talking about my beautiful brain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 11:20 PM

R11 you remind of Nola in the country club powder room with Vanessa on GL: “No you take your dress off!”’

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 11:32 PM

R24 Fabulous! I will take that as a compliment.

I'll be Nola and that trashy poster will be.....well, let's call her Morgan. How I hate that name!

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 11:36 PM

R20 Why didn’t they?

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 11:43 PM

This frau has moved her character edits and other blocked videos to Patreon due to the ongoing 'issues' with youtube. Yeah, you cheapskates will have to pay .. lol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 11:56 PM

Vee from SON would never fit into the clothes at Fashions and dumb dumb Dylan wouldnt know how to work the front door

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2020 12:24 AM

Shit that’s Pam Dawber

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2020 12:35 AM

And that pervert grampa Soapsuds from SON is jerking his mini meat to Kavovit.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2020 1:06 AM

Will Carl/Drw50/eeyore be at the live chat moping about political polls and the news media?

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2020 1:13 AM

When will Eileen Fulton appear on The Locher Room?!?

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2020 1:16 AM

R32 when donkeys fly

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 1:17 AM

SON certainly has its share of losers and assholes like Vee, who’s in the industry, ya know. LOL

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2020 1:32 AM

R31 Lol.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2020 1:35 AM

I'm lost. Can we get back to P&G stories, characters, etc discussions.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2020 1:59 AM

I want a Locher Room with Colleen Zenk, Kathy Hays, Eileen Fulton, and Marie Masters. Colleen can drink a lot beforehand so it makes Kathy and Eileen look better

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2020 2:20 AM

Please FF and block the poster(s) contributing other bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2020 2:24 AM

It was announced today that Locher is doing a 2 part reunion of The Doctors

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2020 2:29 AM

with Anna!

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2020 2:38 AM

I have no idea who this Barbara Ryan is, but I clicked the thread because she looks like my mum. (well, forty-five years ago) Uncanny. Thanks for the memories OP.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2020 2:39 AM

When Barbara was going off to jail for killing James, she wanted to sell Simply Barbara to Lucinda so that Paul would have money.

Lucinda, trying to talk her out of it, "Darling, Simply Barbara simply wouldn't be Simply Barbara without Barbara."

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2020 4:13 AM

They should have made Babsy a drunk. That would have been a real acting challenge for Colleen. Hee hee hee

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2020 6:36 AM

I was always surprised the show never brought back Tonio Reyes in later years. He was such a smug prick, and did a lot of damage while he was in Oakdale. I remember the day he and Meg fought at the top of the stairs and she went south and lost her baby. Couldn't miss a day back then.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2020 11:26 AM

I never watched The Doctors but I remember reading (years ago) that Kathleen Turner did not understand the direction her character was going. She had played Nola one way but suddenly the character was to act or do something completely out of character. Anyway, Kathleen said that she decided to play Nola as having a drinking problem, (maybe even carrying around a flask). This, in Kathleen's mind, justified why Nola would suddenly act differently. Does this seem correct? I know KZ took over the role, but not much more than that.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2020 12:12 PM

I loved Barbara was she was a bitch on wheels, and that’s also when I think CZP had the most fun playing her. I was rewatching the dissolution of her third marriage to Hal recently, and it’s so well done. After years of playing the wet blanket, Barbara becomes all about Barbara, and CZP clearly relishes it. Her material in fall and winter 2000 is a lot of fun to watch.

It was a shame that they overdid it in later years and made Barbara a psychopath jumping out of court windows.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2020 1:36 PM

Um, R45 , I think that was less an acting decision than a life choice.

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2020 1:59 PM

R42: "When Barbara was going off to jail for killing James, she wanted to sell Simply Barbara to Lucinda so that Paul would have money. Lucinda, trying to talk her out of it, 'Darling, Simply Barbara simply wouldn't be Simply Barbara without Barbara.'"

Barbara was so irrational about it. She INSISTED that Lucinda take control of Simply Barbara before she went to prison, but then when she got out, she was like, "I want it back. Today!" Lucinda pointed out to her that it doesn't work that way; that all she'd have to do is wait a year and it would be hers again; that she need a nice, long rest anyway. Well, Barbara flipped the fuck out and created an entirely new company just to sooth her wounded pride. Ridiculous.

R44, I have always believed that Tonio was one of ATWT's most underrated characters and that Peter Boynton never got the credit he deserved, probably because James Stenbeck/Anthony Herrera got so much attention around the same time. No disrespect to Mr. Herrera, who is rightly remembered as a Daytime legend, but Tonio was my favorite soap villain of all time. His was a reality-based, down-to-earth sleaziness that was far more believable, IMO, than James', and Boynton took such obvious relish in his portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2020 2:55 PM

So well put, R48 . His was the stuff of true nightmares, not fantasy, which is why I'll never forget him.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2020 3:45 PM

The Locher reunion with Andrew Kavovit, Ming-Na Wen and Melanie Smith is a delight. I loved it when Smith was defending Emily seducing a 16 year old claiming he was of legal age and Ming-Na said “Maybe In OAKDALE he was!”

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2020 6:29 PM

I have so many Locher Rooms to catch up on, going back to the Gregg Marx/Hillary Bailey Smith one.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2020 7:54 PM

I remember being shocked when Barbara jumped out of the courtroom window? I can't remember what she was on trial for.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2020 8:13 PM

Not as fabulous as when my dong leapt out the window.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2020 8:16 PM

Hah, so do I, R51. I’ve only watched the first half hour of the Stuart/Browne/Barrett/Coppola one. I want to savor ones like those.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2020 8:34 PM

Tina Sloan interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2020 8:39 PM

here's Colleen at her finest; Hillary, too; great writing

Doug looked at Barbara's history; does Margo really have a leg to stand on here when Babs points out that Margo slept with James.

6;13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2020 8:39 PM

Those rumors about CZ and HBS coming to blows have been around for eons but when I watch shows from that era I think it has to be true.

They looked like they wanted to tear each other's faces off.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2020 8:41 PM

R56 That scene was SO fabulous.

It's a shame that they really never did much of anything else with that rivalry after Tom and Margo got back together.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2020 8:49 PM

One of the funniest episodes was the funeral scene with Brabara, Paul, Henry & Vienna. I'd love to see that again.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote]The Locher reunion with Andrew Kavovit, Ming-Na Wen and Melanie Smith is a delight.

Did they get rid of the background noise? Someone had their TV or radio on. Too distracting. I gave up.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2020 9:13 PM

R58, here's another fab scene from March; the first one was from Jan.

It was the clip shown for the 1986 writing noms at the Daytime Emmys in July; I think the Emmy eligibility period once ran March to March, but I can't swear to that; go to 1:26

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2020 11:29 PM

R61 is a great example of how realistic ATWT was at one point: Lucinda has high blood pressure, and Casey makes a house call to tell her that she has to calm down. That's it; that's the scene. With great writing and great acting, you don't need anything more!

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2020 12:27 AM

I want to see a Locher Room with Bev Penberthy, Robert Gentry, Susan Keith and Irene Daily (through a medium).

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2020 2:39 AM

Khan (who works at a KFC/Taco Bell combo restaurant and lives with his mom at age 45) at SON is almost dumber than Vee.

Colleen had def had a bottle of pinot grigio before she hopped on board the Locher train today.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2020 4:08 AM

I want Lady Eyes A Buggin but she would never ever do it.

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2020 4:17 AM

Casey Peretti blew into Oakdale like a breath of fresh air; youth, fun, good looks; he and Lyla had chemistry from day one.

A sweet love story, turned so tragic.

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2020 6:23 AM

As long as Colleen doesn’t get behind the wheel AGAIN, she can drink all she wants. Let’s hope she learned her lesson after TWO dui’s!!! Does she even have a drivers license? One would hope not.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2020 9:24 AM

Colleen's Uber driver told me to tell you, R67 , that she is doing well and appreciates all of your heartfelt support.

by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2020 10:10 AM

Mmmm, Casey Peretti.... Bill Shanks was so hot in the 80s.

Marland really had quite the stable of hot guys at ATWT in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2020 10:25 AM

Did Bill Shanks have to suck Marland’s toes?

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2020 11:29 AM

You are STILL not welcome here, R70. Take the hint. You're embarrassing yourself. No one cares about your invisible friends.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2020 8:56 PM

R71 You don’t have a say who is or isn’t welcome here. Do you want Vee or Khan Or Dumb Dylan here?

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2020 9:04 PM

But literally no one on this entire board finds you even remotely amusing.

That intense smoke must be affecting your brain.

Go clog the toilets elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2020 9:31 PM

I wish they never dropped the Barbara/Margo rivalry. Instead we got Barbara/Carly and Margo/Emily which weren't nearly as much fun.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2020 9:38 PM

But Babs and Margo worked best with Hillary as Margo. That line in the scene above.....Margo said something like "you look like so many of us want to look" - almost a jealousy there. Lots of layers to that.

Margo was for some reason terribly neutered for a while, though, when she went off to Greece, and Scott Holmes made HBS more dull. No wonder she wanted to leave.

Same thing unfortunately happened on OLTL for her - Nora was really something the first few years and then she became a dumb dumb with the usual boring cliches.

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2020 9:42 PM

R75 Honestly, I never stopped loving her Nora. The only time I felt they made her truly dumb was when they had her with the closeted murdering DA.

by Anonymousreply 76September 19, 2020 11:48 PM

Huge Nora fan here too. What an intelligent and MODERN woman (for 1993!!)

NEVER WAS AN ATWT fan, I don't think that I ever watched ONE entire episode (die hard OLTL er here) however, I love following these P&G threads.

A different breed of people in all the best ways.

And I stand by, that the best Locher Room podcast was Elizabeth Hubbard and Martha Byrne.

Liz stands for everything about someone passionate for her craft/art- no matter what it is. She could be an inspiration to a medical technician or a CEO.

Just a truly great interview to watch someone so passionate and fucking fearless about her job.

She goes DEEP.

by Anonymousreply 77September 20, 2020 12:09 AM

What a delicious fantasy image, though, of Hot Daddy Daniel Colson pounding College Jock Mark Solomon (Mark Dobies and Matt Cavenaugh).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2020 12:15 AM

I recently subscribed to a Youtube channel where the guy is uploading GL, AW, ATWT episodes

I watched one today but my memory fails me. Phillip had been in a mental hospital (I remember that) but then he was murdered (I don't remember that).

Alan was angry & despondent. Harley was arrested for his murder & Alan was lashing out at Buzz.

Can anyone refresh my memory? Who "killed" him & where was he?

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2020 1:52 AM

R79 I can't remember the whole story but I think initially Phillip was actually murdered - this was when they fired Grant. Harley was framed for the murder, then somehow Alan confessed he was involved/murdered him and at some point after that Alan said Phillip was actually alive, that he had done it to whisk Philip away, but that Phillip had run off to escape him.

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2020 2:35 AM

"I recently subscribed to a Youtube channel where the guy is uploading GL, AW, ATWT episodes"

Link, please

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2020 2:42 AM

Who, R79?

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2020 2:43 AM

No link please or it will get shut down.

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2020 3:03 AM

Whisper it in our ear, Mary

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2020 3:18 AM

R75, that was Doug. he knew how to tap into what women were feeling. Many women thought their husbands (and many men age better than women) would go off and find someone else; soaps represented strong women who could win over these rivals.

He did this well with Lesley and Monica on GH. Lesley knew there was an attraction between Monica and her husband Rick.

They were all at a party once and Lesley is across the room and Rick is yucking it up with Monica and there's an instrumental playing of Wives Should Always Be Lovers Too.

Doug left GH to take over GL before it could be played out, but Pat Falken Smith, another great writer, carried this story to fruition. I was living in Boston and Denise came to down to do a radio interview. First question she was asked was "When you are going to slap Monica?"

"I did. You missed it," Denise replied.

Here's a clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2020 4:01 AM

R56 Wow, that is a great one.

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2020 4:40 AM

Hillary revealed recently in the Locher room that BRYAN CRANSTON was up for the part of Tom after Marx left. I can't believe they didn't go with him.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2020 8:23 AM

Jesus, how many bottles of wine did Colleen have before the latest Locher room interview? She was sloshed! And b.s. about her not wanting to do a west coast soap - it’s that no one wants her, given her history. Awhile back, she was trying to rally her fans to tweet Morina at Y&R and Valentini at GH to get her on either show. She was even interested in B&B. Of course, given her penchant for the sauce, she’s probably forgotten. She couldn’t even remember that Kavovit was 12 when he started on WT during the interview. Kavovit stated a few times and then a few minutes later, Colleen asked him again. Too much wine, dear.

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2020 10:50 AM

WE could have had Bryan Cranston as Tom and instead got Scott Holmes?!?

Well, if he'd taken the Tom role, he might not have ever gone on to Malcolm in the Middle or Breaking Bad. So, I guess it worked out best in the long run.

But still, ATWT got stuck with bland Scott Holmes,.

by Anonymousreply 89September 20, 2020 10:53 AM

Spicen and Vee were also once up for the role of Tom Hughes.

by Anonymousreply 90September 20, 2020 11:23 AM

I did not start watching until 1989, so Scott Holmes was the only Tom I ever knew. I'd rather have watched him than hammy Justin Deas.

The blandness during most of Scott Holmes' time on the show came from the storytelling post-Lisa sues John, not from any particular actor...well, except for the new, unimproved Meg.

by Anonymousreply 91September 20, 2020 11:26 AM

If CZ was day drinking, who can blame her? She was clearly in despair regarding the 10 th anniversary of her career defining show going off the air. Probably a bad idea to do so before appearing 9n a reunion show. Oh well. I thought it was one of the better LR shows.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s 7:38am. Time for my second glass of Riesling.

by Anonymousreply 92September 20, 2020 11:38 AM

Both Barbara and Nora wee excellent characters. At their best they were layered and strong. In RL Colleen is an exceptional, kind person. HBS not so much.

I have had cocktails with Colleen and would continue to do so given the opportunity. To know her is to love her.

by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2020 11:41 AM

A non-P&G aside, if Y&R is planning to keep the wretched Theo Vanderway character, they should bring Colleen on as his mother and love interest for Jack Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 94September 20, 2020 12:18 PM

Isn't Colleen Traci's daughter, r94?

It would be nice if someone would start a new Y&R thread. The current one has been Murieled since July. OTOH, who wants to deal with Scoche Marin / Spicen?

by Anonymousreply 95September 20, 2020 12:23 PM

Ha ha Colleen Zenk, not Colleen Carlton.

by Anonymousreply 96September 20, 2020 12:30 PM

Well, you did say "non-P&G," r96. But I love your Colleen Zenk idea. And it would fit in perfectly with where Jack's trying to go right now, with this "love is the only thing that matters" theme.

by Anonymousreply 97September 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Khan (the 45 year old male Taco Bell employee who lives with Mom) was up for a Lien Hughes recast. Serial Scholar - another dumbass - wanted to be Alexandra Spaulding. And dumb Dylan is still dumb.

by Anonymousreply 98September 20, 2020 1:02 PM

There is an Y&R thread, dears.

by Anonymousreply 99September 20, 2020 1:34 PM

R93 I've had the same experience.

She's withdrawn a great deal in the last few years. Losing Morgan was the straw that broke the camel's back I think.

by Anonymousreply 100September 20, 2020 1:38 PM

In terms of Bryan Cranston, it is possible he turned the part down, even after auditioning for it

At the time they re-introduced the character of Tom Hughes, a Prime Time Pilot Cranston filmed was picked up for a Fall debut - so he would contractually obliged to do the series.

by Anonymousreply 101September 20, 2020 2:05 PM

It was Cranston and the actor from Guiding Light that played Derek in the early 80s.

I just found Scott Holmes so boring and generic. Not a bad actor, and he did some good work in a few of the Margo in jeopardy stories, but he was sleepwalking for most of the last decade, and I mean.....going from Gregg Marx to Scott Holmes.....

by Anonymousreply 102September 20, 2020 2:10 PM

I will say it again. When Scott Holmes was given material to work with he was terrific. But no one wrote for him.

by Anonymousreply 103September 20, 2020 2:18 PM

He was such an asshole on the Locher Room it actually lowered my opinion on him.

If he couldn't stop chewing gum like a cow for an hour.......FFS

by Anonymousreply 104September 20, 2020 2:22 PM

How was he an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 105September 20, 2020 3:11 PM

Jesus. This really sucks. I figured this poster was a troll posting about Zenk's DUI's

If you google search, Zenk has had 3 DUI's since 2000. 2000, 2010, and 2017.. (The 2017 one in Florida shocked me- there is a link to her arrest with her mugshot. Its not pretty)

The woman has been through a lot and I suspect that alcohol is self medication for her. I

Shocked that after having oral cancer, that she would consume alcohol at all.

by Anonymousreply 106September 20, 2020 3:23 PM

R106 I make no excuse for DUI's but I do think she's been through hell and I can understand her struggle, to a degree. I believe the 2017 one was right after her mother died - which was during/in the middle of a hurricane where the water in mother's house was almost up to second story.

by Anonymousreply 107September 20, 2020 4:08 PM

R105 He came off as one. Very dismissive in a lot of his answers. Was chewing gum the whole time. Maybe that's more of an NYC attitude or something but to me he was just kinda......dickish

by Anonymousreply 108September 20, 2020 4:09 PM

Hillary has never trashed Scott Holmes; but boy he's a boring Tom, and he comes off not so great in person; in fact, when Tom wasn't being boring he was being more pompous than Mike Bauer.

When Tom the d.a. realized there was shadow of doubt that Caleb didn't kill Henry Lange. There was a great scene where the defense tried to show that someone (Caleb) could hold a gun and another person (Henry) could reach between his fingers and pull the trigger, essentially killing themselves -- which is what happened.

Hughes relatives were saying Tom was so great to go for the law and truth - not the win. PLEASE. You have to cast your d.a.'s appropriately. That was an Avril Hobson move.

Would Hillary have left ATWT if Bryan had been Tom? Or if Gregg had stayed (and Doug had lived!)

Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 109September 20, 2020 5:46 PM

What if they had signed Robert Woods as Tom? He was off OLTL and had just done a short run on Days. He’s only 7 years older than Gregg and he would have made a more believable father to Lien. Also he had chemistry with HBS.

by Anonymousreply 110September 20, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote] Would Hillary have left ATWT if Bryan had been Tom? Or if Gregg had stayed (and Doug had lived!) Probably not.

She would, because CBS signed Hillary to a development deal to star in a Prime Time Sitcom - contingent of her leaving ATWT,

HBS came THISCLOSE to landing the lead in the Diane English sitcom "Love & War" - until they decided to go with Susan Dey at the last minute

Then she did pilot for the movie version of "Driving Miss Daisy" - that didn't get picked up, so then HBS decided to return to daytime.

by Anonymousreply 111September 20, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote] How was he an asshole?

When Ming-Na Wen joined the cast as Lien, her first scene is Tom opening the door and her standing there

Apparently Scott Holmes decided to have fun, and when he opened the door and saw Ming-Na standing there he said "I didn't order Chinese food"

by Anonymousreply 112September 20, 2020 6:42 PM

Tell me about the q-ratings of the actors.

by Anonymousreply 113September 20, 2020 6:57 PM

R112 That definitely sounds racist out of context, however Ming Na's family owns a very well known Chinese restaurant in Pittsburgh and that was what the joke pertained to....he said he was trying to put Ming Na at ease.

(Of course, if she said she objected I would want to hear that, but just saying, the comment was not as random as you might think)

by Anonymousreply 114September 20, 2020 7:22 PM

I forgot that Hillary actually landed the Gene Wilder show when she was under contract to OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 115September 20, 2020 7:23 PM

There will be NO Colleen slander here. None.

by Anonymousreply 116September 20, 2020 7:26 PM

[quote] (Of course, if she said she objected I would want to hear that,

Ming-Na says she took it at the time for what it was, as a joke to put her at ease. That said, Ming-Na also says it would not be politically correct, if he made the same joke today.

by Anonymousreply 117September 20, 2020 7:35 PM

r117

how does anyone know all this stuff?

by Anonymousreply 118September 20, 2020 7:55 PM

It was a few weeks ago, R118, and we watched them say it.

You know, like an interview. Are you familiar with the premise?

by Anonymousreply 119September 20, 2020 7:58 PM

Never knew that Colleen has 3 THREE three fucking dui’s! I knew of TWO of them, but three!!!!! What an obnoxious cunt!! To go on Alan Lockerrroom drunk..........Colleen, get help.

by Anonymousreply 120September 20, 2020 9:41 PM

I can see CBS/P&G execs thinking Holmes was more fuckable than Venton or Cranston.

by Anonymousreply 121September 20, 2020 10:17 PM

I can't!

by Anonymousreply 122September 20, 2020 10:50 PM

I dont know if she's drunk. She may actually have dentures because of the cancer and when she talks it sounds like it. Having said that she did sound boozed up. I really feel sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 123September 20, 2020 11:02 PM

It's not dentures. It was tongue cancer and she literally puts her tongue in a different place now when she speaks.

I noticed it in the final years of the show, but it's not so radically different than before, but yes a little more sibilant.

by Anonymousreply 124September 20, 2020 11:12 PM

I have no tolerance fr DUIs. .. But why on earth would she want to live in Trumpville Naples. blech.

by Anonymousreply 125September 20, 2020 11:18 PM

She lost half her tongue due to cancer.

by Anonymousreply 126September 20, 2020 11:19 PM

R125 Her mother lived there for years and she cared for her as mom was dying.

by Anonymousreply 127September 20, 2020 11:21 PM

R127 Yeah, but she didn't have to buy the place from the estate and move there permanently.

by Anonymousreply 128September 20, 2020 11:45 PM

R128 Maybe she didn't buy it from the estate. Her mom could have left it to her.

by Anonymousreply 129September 21, 2020 12:29 AM

R128 She isn't living there now. Or not permanently, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 130September 21, 2020 1:21 AM

Correct. Colleen lives on the Pinot Grigio aisle. Can she drive up to see her good friend Eileen or does she have to breathe to start the car?

by Anonymousreply 131September 21, 2020 1:36 AM

How much did Colleen get paid at her peak and then later?? Was she ATWT’s highest paid per episode at the end.?!?

by Anonymousreply 132September 21, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote] How much did Colleen get paid at her peak and then later?? Was she ATWT’s highest paid per episode at the end.?!?

People were taking pay cuts towards the end of ATWT run, so nobody was rolling in the dough

by Anonymousreply 133September 21, 2020 1:42 AM

Colleen saw her fortunes rise and fall based on the writers. She had played the perils-of-Pauline victim ad nauseum by the time Doug Marland came along. Marland's decision to change her character into a bitch, and give her TWO enemies (Margo and Shannon) was the best thing to ever happen to CZP. After Marland died, she slipped way back on the storyline backburner, until Hogan Sheffer rescued her again.

by Anonymousreply 134September 21, 2020 1:48 AM

R134 though Colleen Zenk did say between Marland and Sheffer, Jessica Klein wrote her character romance with John Dixon and that was one of her favorite storylines

by Anonymousreply 135September 21, 2020 1:51 AM

She did get a bit of play at the end too, and the Henry romance saved her character from being just a humorless cunt, which is kinda what Barbara devolved into with Howarth as Paul.

by Anonymousreply 136September 21, 2020 1:56 AM

She’s had oral cancer twice but she’s still guzzling the pinot noir? Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 137September 21, 2020 6:28 AM

R103 When, exactly? He was usually pretty boring. He was mediocre at best.

He was handsome. But that shouldn't have been enough to last 23 years.

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2020 6:32 AM

Whoever the brainiac is who decided to name this thread sure hasn’t done Mrs Zenk Pinter any favors. All her dirt is dragged up on here. 3 dui’s!! And she’s still drinking as seen on her most recent chat with Miss Locher. Where is Siri Daley when you need her?

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2020 6:42 AM

WEHT.

by Anonymousreply 140September 21, 2020 9:31 AM

[quote]I did not start watching until 1989, so Scott Holmes was the only Tom I ever knew. I'd rather have watched him than hammy Justin Deas.

Was Justin Deas hammy when he played Tom in the early 80s? I watched off and on back then (didn't really become must see TV until Marland) but I did like Tom/Margo. I don't remember Deas being particularly hammy. Of course, I really liked Margaret Colin so that my have helped disguise any hamminess.

I did think Tom/Justin was kinda cute for a midget. He had really hit the wall hard by the time be came to Springfield.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 21, 2020 11:07 AM

r141

smoking(and maybe drinking) really caught up with him

by Anonymousreply 142September 21, 2020 11:09 AM

[quote]There is an Y&R thread, dears.

And it has been locked down since July.

by Anonymousreply 143September 21, 2020 11:27 AM

R143 I had no idea, and no one has started a new one? I can remedy that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 21, 2020 1:34 PM

R140 No. It's WHET.

At Datalounge, it will always, always be WHET.

by Anonymousreply 145September 21, 2020 1:35 PM

What do we know of the dick sizes and circumcision status of the ATWT cast?

by Anonymousreply 146September 21, 2020 1:41 PM

Thank you, precious gift r144.

by Anonymousreply 147September 21, 2020 1:43 PM

R147 You're welcome, hun. Always happy to help.

by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2020 1:45 PM

R145, Van Hansis mentioned somewhere that his smegma collector is still attached. Jake Silberdong is free of that concern, either based on that jerking-off video or merely the fact that he's Jewish.

I find it hard to believe that SDF or Andy Kavovit would be smegmatic. Kavovit is Jewish and SDF grew up in Newton, MA.

I wonder if Danny Markel is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 149September 21, 2020 1:46 PM

Oops. R149 was meant for r146.

by Anonymousreply 150September 21, 2020 1:47 PM

R146 I would like to know for all P&G soaps.

by Anonymousreply 151September 21, 2020 1:52 PM

r151, stop Bump Bitching and we'll think about it.

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2020 1:55 PM

During the Marland era, there were a few actors that always made my big dick face radar twitch.

Mark Pinter for sure. William Fichtner, I'm guessing he has a very long dick that's a bit on the skinny side. And Tom Wiggin is likely packing a long, fat dick.

The only one that really made my radar twitch in later years was the original Brad Snyder. THAT man was packing.

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2020 1:57 PM

"I'm very much alive!"

Cue theme music,

FABULOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2020 2:59 PM

R153 him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2020 3:02 PM

R155 yes indeed, him

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2020 3:03 PM

As for GL, we know about Grant.

We know Rob Bogue (Mallet #1) is in the double digit club.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2020 3:04 PM

Sorry, that should read Mallet #2

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2020 3:04 PM

That's a great back from the dead clip of James.

I wish the lighting had been a little less dark. But it was at night at Duncan's castle.

I'd love to see the clip of Lisa (Eileen Fulton) coming back and finding Whit's body. That made ET back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2020 3:50 PM

Eileen used to shit bricks and plug up the studio toilet. She now shits her diapers.

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2020 4:14 PM

A friend's sister is an RN. In 1989 she took care of David O'Brien of "The Doctors" in the hospital when he was dying of AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2020 4:42 PM

40 years ago, when soaps were on the upswing.

A very skinny Zimmer and a very zaftig Judy Light!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2020 8:36 PM

R146 Here's some Paolo Seganti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2020 9:41 PM

Ah, Paolo. Not unexpected that he'd look so nice.

by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2020 9:42 PM

All of you SH bashers seem to forget that he came straight out of "Ryan's Hope," where his character (Dave Greenberg? or something like that) was very popular. ATWT got lots of good press because of that....more than if they had picked up BC or others you've named who weren't well known at that time.

There was little writing for Tom Hughes the last 10+ years of the show. The only story I can think of that focused on him during that time period was that lame affair with Emily, which was badly written (one day they took off work to see a Buster Keaton movie, not knowing the other would be there....and three episodes or so later, they were in the sack). Otherwise, he was peripheral to Margo's stories or called in as a lawyer to make a few comments. IIRC, ED begged the writers to kill off Margo so it would give Tom a good story.

He is a very high energy person IRL, so I'm not surprised about the gum chewing. He was well liked by his ATWT (and RH) colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 165September 22, 2020 5:35 AM

R165 that Emily affair storyline was pretty bad. Tom was such a freaking idiot and was so easily manipulated by her.

The Stewart women were just irresistible catnip to the Hughes men, I guess. Bob had Susan. Tom had Emily. Chris had Emily and Alison. Did Casey have Alison?

by Anonymousreply 166September 22, 2020 5:59 AM

[quote] Did Casey have Alison?

Yes, as I recall, they were kind of played as "star crossed" for awhile with events and interlopers interfering, but did have sex and were engaged at some point. And by the time the show ended, they had rekindled things and were back together as a couple with their end story being that moving to Carbondale together where Casey was going to attend law school. (Get ready for the male version of Legally Blonde .. lol!)

by Anonymousreply 167September 22, 2020 6:27 AM

Hogan Sheffer didn't write for Tom and Margo. He said in some interview that he couldn't envision them as a romantic couple so he didn't know what to write for them, or something like that. And no Sources troll, I can't give you the exact source which I'm paraphrasing from.

The subsequent HWs didn't know what to do with them as a couple either. I think that's why we got that lame Tom-Emily pairing.

by Anonymousreply 168September 22, 2020 12:18 PM

Goutman hated Holmes, but was too chicken to fire him. He kept hoping Holmes would quit, but Holmes cashed the checks.

by Anonymousreply 169September 22, 2020 12:21 PM

Holmes is still very fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 170September 22, 2020 12:28 PM

When I worked in the production office, I didn’t get to know Colleen but she seemed absolutely lovely. And for as glamorous as Barbara was, Colleen would come into the office in sweatshirts and no makeup and was just as gorgeous, albeit in a more natural way.

Hillary would come by with her baby carriage and, again, I didn’t get to know her, but she didn’t give off approachable vibes.

Melanie Smith was an absolute doll, on the other hand. Same with Robert Tyler and Richard Burgi (who was dating Heche at the time). Swan was a real character but incredibly friendly and interested in others.

by Anonymousreply 171September 22, 2020 12:53 PM

R168

If the HW can't envision them as a couple then WTF wouldn't he break them up? That would give them new directions & possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 172September 22, 2020 1:01 PM

Van looks uncut - I find most pale, hippieish boys are.

Where is there a Jake Silbermann masturbating video? Where can we see?

by Anonymousreply 173September 22, 2020 1:13 PM

R173 It's not Jake.

by Anonymousreply 174September 22, 2020 1:16 PM

Latest Locher Room: Charlie's Angels' Jaclyn Smith. September 30 @ 2:30 eastern.

Alert Bootsie-Gumdrop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 22, 2020 1:17 PM

An article about the Flash TV - the 1990 version - which mentions star John Wesley Shipp AND another soap veteran who was up for the same role....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 22, 2020 1:17 PM

r174 types "But It's Photoshoppppppppppppppppped!"er.

by Anonymousreply 177September 22, 2020 1:20 PM

R168 I can’t really blame him for that because I can’t either. SH and ED just didn’t have that much chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 178September 22, 2020 1:40 PM

R172 well we did get that storyline where Margo practically drooled over Doc Reese. It was so over the top. I won’t post the clips because I don’t want anything to get pulled, but there are some where I alternatively cringe and crack up laughing with how bizarrely horny Margo became out of nowhere. And still, at least it wasn’t dull as dishwater like Tom and Margo were.

by Anonymousreply 179September 22, 2020 1:45 PM

[quote] If the HW can't envision them as a couple then WTF wouldn't he break them up?

But that would give Tom & Margo a storyline, which the HW wasn't interested in doing

[quote] An article about the Flash TV - the 1990 version - which mentions star John Wesley Shipp AND another soap veteran who was up for the same role....

The other person was James DaPavia (One Life To Live)

by Anonymousreply 180September 22, 2020 1:45 PM

R180 You didn't read the article, the other person was not DePaiva, it was Richard Burgi.

by Anonymousreply 181September 22, 2020 1:46 PM

A heads up for those who remember when these threads were banned.

We have a few posters who are apparently writers for a small TV website that focuses on reality TV and soaps. They are making dozens of threads every day. The soap ones will always have the same name - just the show name - so we have hundreds of threads now named "General Hospital."

So far none of these threads get more than a handful of traffic, but I'm worried that eventually Madame M et al will get the banning itch again, so just be aware. You may want to FF those spam threads if you see them.

by Anonymousreply 182September 22, 2020 1:49 PM

Alan Locher's big announcement this morning was not a soap star but Jaclyn Smith

by Anonymousreply 183September 22, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] Alan Locher's big announcement this morning was not a soap star but Jaclyn Smith

Will he ask her if she remembers her first day?

by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2020 4:40 PM

No but he’ll ask her if she’s seen Tom Pelphrey in Ozark yet. And he’ll pass on Jill Lorie Hurst’s kvelling over her hair.

by Anonymousreply 185September 22, 2020 5:07 PM

You bitches are HATEFUL and MEAN

by Anonymousreply 186September 22, 2020 5:57 PM

and don't forget Hillary and Crystal Chappell tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 187September 22, 2020 6:00 PM

r185

Now I wouldn't mind seeeing if Tom Pelphrey in cut or not

by Anonymousreply 188September 22, 2020 8:06 PM

Tyler has said that Van is uncut.

by Anonymousreply 189September 22, 2020 9:12 PM

PRESS RELEASE

SIMPLY BARBARA RELEASES NEW PRODUCT LINE.....

Caftans.

Earrings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2020 9:18 PM

Jay Hammer and Susie Pratt on Locher Room next week

by Anonymousreply 191September 22, 2020 9:30 PM

R191

That location shoot to Barbados was so good.

by Anonymousreply 192September 22, 2020 10:26 PM

Too bad Carrie Nye is no longer with us. A Zoom meeting with her would be a hoot. She'd complain about the technology and how everyone looks entirely too much at their phones. *fans self*

by Anonymousreply 193September 22, 2020 10:36 PM

Oh, my dear, dear Carrie!

by Anonymousreply 194September 22, 2020 10:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 22, 2020 11:06 PM

This was posted in another thread but I was amused and decided to share here:

Carolyn Jones and Joan Collins played scheming buddies in "The Opposite Sex". Marj Dusay replaced Carolyn as Myrna Clegg on "Capitol", and Joan briefly took over the role of Alexandra Spaulding on "Guiding Light" which Marj had previously played and returned to after Joan realized she couldn't handle all the dialog she was supposed to memorize.

Joan's "Dynasty" son Gordon Thompson played Marj's "Santa Barbara" son. Between the original and final Mason Capwell, there was Terry Lester who played the son of Marla Adams on "The Young and the Restless" before Peter Bergman played the part. Marla was the temporary sub for Myrna Clegg on "Capitol" before Marj was hired.

by Anonymousreply 196September 23, 2020 4:26 AM

R196, didn't Joan leave because Rauch left and she had a book tour?

by Anonymousreply 197September 23, 2020 5:09 PM

Joan signed a contract for six months but left early because she's Joan Fucking Collins and claimed it was planned that way all along.

by Anonymousreply 198September 23, 2020 5:35 PM

Because, like Beverlee McKinsey, Joan was Alexandra Fucking Spaulding, and she'll so as she damn well pleases.

by Anonymousreply 199September 23, 2020 5:55 PM

They can be as grand as they want to be, but *I* was the real deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 23, 2020 6:03 PM

Beverlee with black hair is a trip!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 23, 2020 6:09 PM

I'm sure she didn't leave early because she didn't realize how hard daytime is

by Anonymousreply 202September 23, 2020 8:04 PM

[quote] Joan signed a contract for six months but left early because she's Joan Fucking Collins and claimed it was planned that way all along.

In the casting director's "Locher Room" the casting directors said Joan Collins had her agents call all the NY Soaps to express interest in doing a short term role

Of course all the soaps made offers, but GL was the only one that had a fleshed out character by resurrecting Alexandra

by Anonymousreply 203September 23, 2020 8:06 PM

Soapsuds jerked off to Carl T Evans today. GROSS!!!

by Anonymousreply 204September 23, 2020 10:32 PM

r204

to be fair, who hasn't??

by Anonymousreply 205September 23, 2020 10:40 PM

Don't feed the trolls

by Anonymousreply 206September 23, 2020 10:44 PM

Carl Tye Evans has gotten pussy all of his life! He!s straight and does not want OLD perverts like Soapsuds jerking off to him. Gross gross gross!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 207September 24, 2020 12:01 AM

Carl Tye Evans was offered to return to Guiding Light after Rick Hearst left, and he said no

He is not interested in acting anymore and has focused on screenwriting and directing

by Anonymousreply 208September 24, 2020 12:04 AM

Instead we got Michael Dietz who later went on to producer reality shows.

So ironical.

As far as Alexandras go, let's not forget Lydia Bruce who stepped in for La Beverlee who took a few days off after her husband died.

You can FEEL the tension between Alex and India. Bruce did a great job walking into a blind situation.

Bonus shirtless and smooth chested Phillip at the top of the show. I usually associate the hairless look with twinks, but GA's all man, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209September 24, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote] Michael Dietz who later went on to producer reality shows.

He is just one of those actors who get arrested outside of soaps, fired from every soap he worked on

Finally he had to get into producing, to make a living

by Anonymousreply 210September 24, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote] Michael Dietz who later went on to producer reality shows.

In an old soap magazine interview he bragged that in 20 years he would be a movie star and live in a big mansion. Saying that is not arrogance, but confidence in oneself.

by Anonymousreply 211September 24, 2020 12:16 AM

personally, he sucked the energy out of scenes; he didn't understand pace and vitality.

just don't read the lines; dissect the scrip. Decide your relationship. What it is. What do you want in this scene; and why does the other person not to give it to you.

I wouldn't call Carl a great actor, but he was good, especially as Phillip's pissed off younger brother whom Phillip saw so much of himself in. Alan Michael had figured out Phillip was the father of Meredith's baby and when PHillip is trying to steer Alan Michael clear of being used by their father, A-M says; "Phillip. you want to be my daddy. Go be a daddy to your own kid."

Powerful stuff. Pam Long knew how to write MEN as well as WOMEN.

by Anonymousreply 212September 24, 2020 12:21 AM

Joan gave an interview to SPW and said that Alexandra (1984) was based on Alexis (1981), but what Joan didn't know is that Alexis was based on Iris (AW) played by Beverlee.

Ironical

by Anonymousreply 213September 24, 2020 1:06 AM

And that the Carringtons of Dynasty were thus named because of Iris Carrington.

by Anonymousreply 214September 24, 2020 2:32 AM

Thank god the old witch is dead. #Beverlee

by Anonymousreply 215September 24, 2020 9:42 AM

I have no friends and I smell

by Anonymousreply 216September 24, 2020 1:58 PM

Has there ever been a daytime male soap character that had his endowment discussed on screen?

by Anonymousreply 217September 24, 2020 2:00 PM

"Has there ever been a daytime male soap character that had his endowment discussed on screen?"

Closest thing I can think of: Once on ATWT, Tonio Reyes was "entertaining" a female business associate in his hotel room, and they were staring out the window at the Walsh Tower. The woman asked him about another building that was in the works, and he said, with a leer, as he moved in on her, "It hasn't been ERECTED yet-- but it soon will be."

Can't believe they got away with that one, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 218September 24, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote] Instead we got Michael Dietz who later went on to producer reality shows. So ironical.

Oh, dear and Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 219September 24, 2020 4:07 PM

The ATWT censors must have been asleep.

I remember one scene where Craig said "pissed off" - I had to rewind my VCR a few times to make sure I heard it right!

by Anonymousreply 220September 24, 2020 4:18 PM

[quote] I remember one scene where Craig said "pissed off" - I had to rewind my VCR a few times to make sure I heard it right!

How funny! I remember that too! It just stood out so much at the time!

by Anonymousreply 221September 24, 2020 4:23 PM

Andrew Kavovit is registered to vote as a Republican in Florida. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 222September 24, 2020 4:24 PM

Khan and Vee are going nuts over at SON. Poor poor Vee. He’s in the business, you know. lololololololol

by Anonymousreply 223September 24, 2020 5:40 PM

R221 If I remember right, I think he was in Lyla's house when he said it. But I cannot remember who he was talking to.....

by Anonymousreply 224September 24, 2020 7:14 PM

R222, I knew I wanted to punch him in the face repeatedly for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 225September 24, 2020 8:40 PM

That is weird Kavovit is a Republican because be is very involved in Native American Issues, and that is a community IGNORED by the GOP

by Anonymousreply 226September 24, 2020 8:43 PM

R219 'producer' was a typo; 'ironical' is my homage to Grape Antler.

by Anonymousreply 227September 24, 2020 8:50 PM

Michael Dietz was a poor follow-up to Rick Hearst. i mean, he was so bad, show wrote him off after just six months and then the Alan- Michael character was rarely even mentioned again for the next eight years.

In fairness, Dietz was in way over his head with A-M. Rick Hearst had set such a high bar, anyone would have trouble filling A-M's shoes. Over at OLTL, Don Jeffcoat also had huge shoes to fill as Joey Buchanan when he was cast after Nathan Fillion left.

Dietz went on to star in Port Charles as Joe Scanlon. And he actually was very good in the part. Don't get me wrong, I was never under the illusion that Dietz was going to win multiple Emmys for his acting, but Joe was a much better fit for him than A-M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228September 25, 2020 2:42 AM

^^^^

Speaking of Dietz, Kin Shriner tweeted a pic today of Dietz on a plane & watching Kin on today's GH

by Anonymousreply 229September 25, 2020 2:50 AM

I worked with a cousin of Michael D's a long time ago. Short guy with a very deep voice.

by Anonymousreply 230September 25, 2020 3:27 AM

Dietz was a pussy hound when he was on GL. He bedded a few cast members.

by Anonymousreply 231September 25, 2020 5:57 AM

[quote] I worked with a cousin of Michael D's a long time ago. Short guy with a very deep voice.

Fascinating!

by Anonymousreply 232September 25, 2020 12:13 PM

I didn't care for Michael Dietz as Alan Michael...until the day he didn't have a shirt on.

by Anonymousreply 233September 25, 2020 12:21 PM

R232 Not really, but there you have it. LOL

by Anonymousreply 234September 25, 2020 1:57 PM

I preferred Donnie Jeffcoat as Joey Buchanan. Seeing him on OLTL, I was given to wishing they'd gone with the original plan of making Joey gay, a thought Nathan Fillion never inspired in me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 25, 2020 2:10 PM

The Locher Room with Ming-Na Wen, Andy Kavovit and Melanie Smith is delightful. And extra credit to all three participants for having decent lighting and a good internet connection!

by Anonymousreply 236September 25, 2020 2:20 PM

I could only listen for about ten minutes, r236. Someone's radio or TV in the background drove me away. Did that eventually go away, or are you oblivious to such onslaughts?

by Anonymousreply 237September 25, 2020 2:26 PM

R236, they were all delightful to work with when I was in the production office. Glad to see Ming-NA’s success. Couldn’t happen to a nicer person.

by Anonymousreply 238September 25, 2020 2:31 PM

R238 I know all shows say "we're all a big family" but how true was it for ATWT when you were there?

by Anonymousreply 239September 25, 2020 2:47 PM

I’m sure that for the most part, these shows are somewhat familial behind the scenes but there is always drama. It might not be seen or heard in the production office. I was at OLTL as an extra one day and Tonja Walker was holding up production for some reason. She was missing from the set (who knows - maybe she had a bad bout of diarrhea and was on the shitter) but finally the director came on to the loudspeaker for all to hear and quite forcefully told Tonja to get on the set NOW. A couple of the actors were mumbling that was par for the course with Tonja. That is just one of many many examples that I personally witnessed. Another is Jane Elliot being a diva at GL. Even Jerry verDorn very recently spoke about how the Carrie Todd Three Faces of Eve story was perfect for Jane since she had many personalities of her own. She could be a beyatch one minute and then another personality would kick in and she’d do a 180 and be nice. You never knew which Jane you’d get.

by Anonymousreply 240September 25, 2020 3:46 PM

r233

I think he's adorable... he looks a lot like a BF I had in college

by Anonymousreply 241September 25, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote] Someone's radio or TV in the background drove me away.

That was only when Colleen Zenk came on about halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 242September 25, 2020 5:20 PM

I wouldn’t say one big happy family just because not everyone works together. There were lots of friendships among the cast and most people were nice but some people are closer just because they are in scenes together back in the day.

I’ll never forget on my first day when I needed to find the studio (which was in a different part of the building) and someone asked Kathleen Widdoes to walk me down since she was heading there. I asked how she liked working in the show and she said, “It’s a job.”

It’s not easy work. You come in at the crack of dawn and they block a scene...run through it once, twice max...block the next then the next...then makeup and hair, where they try to memorize lines and blocking...then they have a walk-thru with cameras and then shoot it.

There isn’t time to do lots of takes so they have to be more focused than they’d like on nailing blocking, getting every line perfect, leaning into lights, avoiding blocking another actor’s key lights, cheating to the cameras, etc. to get the acne in the can.

It’s hard to produce art under those conditions. And if you have a major role and work lots of days, consider that you get scripts maybe three days ahead and it’s tons to learn and you have to focus on one episode at a time.

by Anonymousreply 243September 25, 2020 5:34 PM

Mo Garrett, Rick Hearst and Amelia Marshall in an upcoming Locher Room.

by Anonymousreply 244September 25, 2020 7:33 PM

Alexandra LOVED Beth; she should have called AM to come back to town to break up Phillip and Harley; instead the writers had Beth reach out to Mallet and Phillip EXPLODED at her over it.

Phillip and Beth were almost ruined after he fell for Harley.

by Anonymousreply 245September 25, 2020 10:52 PM

I never for one minute bought into Phillip & Harley.

by Anonymousreply 246September 25, 2020 11:50 PM

R246 Same

Alexandra did love Beth as a daughter. That relationship was neglected by the writers. The writers criminally wrote Beth. It was shocking to see what they did to one of the show’s most popular characters of all time.

by Anonymousreply 247September 25, 2020 11:52 PM

What the writers did to Alexandra when Marj returned in the late 90s was criminal.

What Ellen Weston did to her should have resulted in criminal charges.

by Anonymousreply 248September 26, 2020 12:41 AM

The fault also lies with the execs who hire these people who do NOT know the shows or the histories.

Mal Young writing JT as a wife beater?

Ridiculous.

Jill painting over the Chancellor mansion into battleship gray/blue after Jeanne died? Insane.

I know a guy who is in the WGA, works in the industry and approached a head writer about getting a shot at pitching story or doing dialogue; the assholic head writer looked at him and said: "We don't hire fans."

Maybe they should? Fans know the show.

by Anonymousreply 249September 26, 2020 2:36 AM

Is Mo Garrett still desperate for attention? How many Locher Rooms have she and Hearsty done? WTF.

by Anonymousreply 250September 26, 2020 2:45 AM

Maureen Garrett has done one interview I think early on in the Locher Room series. If not for the remote nature of these she would not be involved at all. An attention whore she is not.

If you want over-exposed look at Zimmer, Newman, and even Ver Dorn and Keifer who have done 3-4. Rick Hearst has been dying to talk about himself for like 10 years now. He too has done several interviews lately.

by Anonymousreply 251September 26, 2020 2:50 AM

R251 don't pay that poster any mind whatsoever. This is the same poster who goes on and on about snatches being eaten and all the people at other soap boards none of us give a remote fuck about.

by Anonymousreply 252September 26, 2020 2:58 AM

Believe me, R251, those press whores who loved to talk were the lifeblood of the soap mags.

People like Maeve and Grant, who would never be called press whores, would step up once every 2 to 3 years to do an updated profile, especially if there was a big life change or if they had a big storyline coming.

by Anonymousreply 253September 26, 2020 4:46 AM

Hey, there’s nothing wrong with eating snatch!

by Anonymousreply 254September 26, 2020 6:48 AM

[quote]I know a guy who is in the WGA, works in the industry and approached a head writer about getting a shot at pitching story or doing dialogue; the assholic head writer looked at him and said: "We don't hire fans."

Oh, come on. Who was it?

by Anonymousreply 255September 26, 2020 10:21 AM

Atta girl, Connie!!!

And mine is waiting', honey!

by Anonymousreply 256September 26, 2020 12:09 PM

Don’t forget me! I love snatch eating!!

by Anonymousreply 257September 26, 2020 3:35 PM

R251, Maureen Garrett has done two Locher Rooms previous to the one coming up.

by Anonymousreply 258September 26, 2020 3:38 PM

[quote] I know a guy who is in the WGA, works in the industry and approached a head writer about getting a shot at pitching story or doing dialogue; the assholic head writer looked at him and said: "We don't hire fans."

And, that is a problem. They don't have to hire amateurs(though they might be better), but they should hire professionals who are actual fans of the show.

by Anonymousreply 259September 26, 2020 3:57 PM

Who is this Vee person and Khan person everyone keeps mentioning?

by Anonymousreply 260September 26, 2020 4:23 PM

You don’t know who Vee is? OMG! Everyone knows Vee. Or so he thinks. lol Just like Vee thinks that anyone cares what he thinks. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 261September 26, 2020 5:20 PM

One person keeps mentioning, r260, and it's best to block the troll (and its manifestations when it erases cookies).

by Anonymousreply 262September 26, 2020 5:29 PM

R259, you don't get to be in the WGA by being a total novice.

Industry folks use the word 'fan' like it's a slam; who the fuck is watching these shows if not for fans?

Look at the writers this industry has had over the last decade....incompetents like Josh and Dena...a hack like Pratt...

Love or hate B&B, you can't deny that Bell puts out the No. 2 show and the people who love it, love it. Ron saved GH from cancellation; he came up with stories inspired from what he watched the show from when he was a kid, a fan.

Being a fan means admiring these shows. Caring about them.

Most of the people running these shows today don't have that.

by Anonymousreply 263September 26, 2020 5:52 PM

The shows have been run and written by people with contempt for the industry and hatred toward fans since the 90's. The Jill Farren Phelps's, Paul Rauch's, and Megan McTavishes of the world who used these soaps to get out their own personal hang ups and aggressions. They'd fuck up one show and then get hired at the next and got to repeat that cycle til retirement age.

by Anonymousreply 264September 26, 2020 7:24 PM

Paul Rauch began producing Another World in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 265September 26, 2020 7:33 PM

At AW Paul Rauch had Harding Lemay who was in charge of creative/writing. He wasn't afraid to tell Rauch to fuck off, so it worked. Everywhere else he went apeshit on the shows he produced because he took over and the writers amounted to his puppets.

by Anonymousreply 266September 26, 2020 7:44 PM

R263 That was my point, if a professional is also a fan of the show that should be the people they are looking for.

by Anonymousreply 267September 26, 2020 9:32 PM

Alan Sarapa, the hottie from twitter, should be a headwriter. lololololololololol Just kidding!

by Anonymousreply 268September 26, 2020 10:27 PM

The anti-soapers running (and ruining) soaps started with Monty

by Anonymousreply 269September 26, 2020 10:33 PM

I believe we may be Murieled

by Anonymousreply 270September 27, 2020 8:59 PM

Not yet, r270. We've been spicened and Scoche Marined, which makes me click off the orange eye a lot, so I don't see soap threads often.

by Anonymousreply 271September 27, 2020 9:01 PM

R268 Huh? No idea what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 272September 27, 2020 9:03 PM

R272 Ignore the mentally ill poster. Unfortunately, the infestation won't go away.

For some reason, this demented clown thinks we care about his invisible friends and mortal enemies.

by Anonymousreply 273September 27, 2020 9:09 PM

R267, my bad; misread your post. Please accept my my bad/apology.

Btw, I just recalled while my friend's ultimate goal was to write for a show, he had actually approached a hw about an ASSISTANT opening. Was not afraid to start at the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 274September 28, 2020 12:44 AM

Zenk Pinter has no idea how she got covid because she hasn’t been ANYWHERE. lol Maybe she forgot to wash her hands after the alcohol delivery.

by Anonymousreply 275September 28, 2020 1:45 PM

[quote] Was not afraid to start at the bottom.

Speaking of bottoms, where is Marty West these days?

by Anonymousreply 276September 28, 2020 3:08 PM

Sitting on my face right now, R276. His $80 fee is so worth it.

by Anonymousreply 277September 28, 2020 3:44 PM

R275 She lives in a red county of Florida. All you have to do is walk outside and breathe the deplorable air.

by Anonymousreply 278September 28, 2020 6:15 PM

Watching the Ellen Parker Locher Room and Maeve K actually rolled her eyes when Alan asked someone about their first day.

Go, gurl!

by Anonymousreply 279September 29, 2020 1:51 PM

Hahaha!

I wanted her to also issue a flat “No” when Locher asked her if she’d seen Tom Pelphrey on Ozark. And a blank look on her face when Locher brings up Jill Lorie Hurst for the 86th time.

by Anonymousreply 280September 29, 2020 3:39 PM

I like her but it is sort of weird that he mentions her so much.

I had to stop the Parker one halfway through, they all seemed very frosty to each other and especially to Rachel Miner.

by Anonymousreply 281September 29, 2020 10:00 PM

Is anybody watching the PBS mystery Van der Walk? It’s with British actors playing Dutch characters. The latest one reminded me a lot of the Sonni/Solita storyline. In this one “good girl” Aamina was found murdered. It turned out she had an identical twin, “bad girl” Zafira. Zafira had been turned away from her family by her very religious father. The mystery is was it really Aamina who was murdered or was it Zafira? It was nowhere near as satisfying as the Sonni/Solita storyline.

by Anonymousreply 282September 29, 2020 11:31 PM

Tina Sloan would make an obvious ticked off face every time Rachel interrupted, which was frequently.

by Anonymousreply 283September 30, 2020 3:32 AM

R282, I'll always believe that when soaps were great, there was nothing better.

Watch this scene between Bernau and McKinsey, their last, sadly, I believe from May 1988.

Alan is DOWN AND OUT yet he still is in command. And Alex KNOWS it.

When Alan says Spaulding's don't forget, Alex asks (in her best Iris) is that a threat? Just a statement of act. Brilliant.

ATWt 1986-90; GL 1984; summer 1987 to Feb. 1991.

Golden ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 30, 2020 3:54 AM

statement of FACT

by Anonymousreply 285September 30, 2020 3:56 AM

Sonni/Solita was soap at it’s most soapy-in the best way. It was such a powerhouse story.

by Anonymousreply 286September 30, 2020 4:04 AM

R284 I've seen that a few times recently. Such a great episode. Phillip's takeover of Spaulding was a great leap forward for him as a character.

by Anonymousreply 287September 30, 2020 4:14 AM

Michelle Forbesvvs Kim Zimmer 4 days a week for 3 years in a riveting story was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 288September 30, 2020 4:23 AM

Michelle Forbes vs Kim Zimmer^^^

by Anonymousreply 289September 30, 2020 4:24 AM

Not to be a killjoy, but I'm just not a fan of posting whole episodes from YouTube. It risks getting them pulled down.

by Anonymousreply 290September 30, 2020 4:30 AM

Is the nutjob Serial Monticello back here? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 291September 30, 2020 5:50 AM

Yeah, Defacto. You're exactly who we're going to listen to about internet "good manners."

by Anonymousreply 292September 30, 2020 8:41 AM

Defacto - I know there was an issue with one poster getting a lot of his/her videos pulled but there are many others still out there. Something else was going on with that particular YT poster.

by Anonymousreply 293September 30, 2020 1:18 PM

Jay Hammer and Susan Pratt were on the Locher Room today.

Interesting conversation, the two certainly still have chemistry.

Susan Pratt looks fantastic! She's 64 but looks younger.

However, Jay Hammer looks like death warmed over. So pale. He's 75. Hope its just because he's been inside watching Netflix .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 30, 2020 10:37 PM

Upcoming is Krista Tesreau and the dude that played Kurt

by Anonymousreply 295September 30, 2020 10:41 PM

He needs to get the original 4 musketeers. Seriously. Judi seems to be recovering nicely.

Ahhhh Sonni/Solita. Dayum. GL took it to another level. It would make a great movie. Michelle and Kim was the best. Powerhouses. You saw Oscar level work weekly. MARY! but true.

by Anonymousreply 296September 30, 2020 11:11 PM

Wow. Susie Pratt threw some shade at Richard Van Vleet.

Interesting hearing Jay Hammer contrast Beverlee and Marj.

by Anonymousreply 297September 30, 2020 11:25 PM

R294 I never understood his playing Allan Willis on The Jeffersons or Berlinda Tolbert playing Jenny, for that matter. Did Hollywood not have any mixed race actors at the time or did they just not understand that mixed race children are actually mixed?

by Anonymousreply 298October 1, 2020 12:25 AM

Susan Pratt was a cunt. It’s not like she was a great actress or anything.

by Anonymousreply 299October 1, 2020 1:19 AM

And Jay Hammer was bitchy too. It’s not like he won emmys or anything. Ok, Fletch was there for awhile. He had a hat. Ok. Next. I can understand why Rauch fired him. Who cared????

by Anonymousreply 300October 1, 2020 1:25 AM

Jay Hammer was upset they never brought him back to when Matt Bomer started playing Ben (his son)

The problem with that is Hammer held out for a 13 week contract, take it or leave it, P&G preferred recurring, and if that was Hammer;s stand, they would leave it,

by Anonymousreply 301October 1, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote] Seriously. Judi seems to be recovering nicely.

Judi has ZERO interest in revisiting her time on Guiding Light.

After her accident Judi received an outpouring of support from cast-members of ALL THREE shows she was on. So when Judi talked to Soap Opera Digest about her accident, she said how much she appreciated the love and support from her former cast members at Another World and Days of our Lives

She didn't mention the people at Guiding Light AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 302October 1, 2020 1:31 AM

She clearly didn’t have issues bad enough with Grant or Vincent as she posed for pics with them a year ago. She kept in contact with Krista it seemed from the Locher Room chat. She follows Tina in Twitter. Soooo, why wouldn’t she do a Locher Room with those she’s already proven to have decent relationships with? Her time ar GL was terrible mainly due to her ex producer boyfriend. He made her life hell.

by Anonymousreply 303October 1, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote] She clearly didn’t have issues bad enough with Grant or Vincent as she posed for pics with them a year ago.

What is she suppose to say "No, I don't want to pose for a picture with you?" And it was Vincent who tweeted the photo out

[quote] She kept in contact with Krista it seemed from the Locher Room chat.

That is what Krista says, but the fact is the only person Judi follows on twitter from Guiding Light is Tina Sloan - NO ONE else from Guiding Light

by Anonymousreply 304October 1, 2020 2:17 AM

There's one name missing from R303 and R304's post, and that name is, from all accounts, the name of the person who was the most hateful to Judi.

When said name appeared on an earlier Locher Room and her name was mentioned, they got out of their chair and left the room so.....yeah.

by Anonymousreply 305October 1, 2020 2:24 AM

I hate when people drop Cindy Brady hints like r305.

Who was it-Charita Bauer? Lee Lawson? The old queen that played Henry?

by Anonymousreply 306October 1, 2020 2:26 AM

there was another poster who said on another soap thread that he has encountered Judi Evans at fan events. But everytime he has tried to ask Judi a question about Guiding Light, Judi clams up and it is like pulling teeth,

Judi just doesn't want to talk about Guiding Light

R306 it is Michael O'Leary

by Anonymousreply 307October 1, 2020 2:28 AM

R306- O'Leary, ya space cadet!

I didn't even watch GL and I knew this!

by Anonymousreply 308October 1, 2020 2:29 AM

That old cunt Mo Garrett is doing another one of these???

by Anonymousreply 309October 1, 2020 2:30 AM

I know Grant and Mikey teased her a bit but something went really ugly after she was dating Whitesell. I wonder if Mikey was dating her or had feelings for her. He left the show for a while not long after that all played out.

But I could see Judi just not wanting to revisit all that. Despite a good early storyline, it was not a pleasant experience for her overall.

by Anonymousreply 310October 1, 2020 2:35 AM

Just as Michelle Forbes ran from GL as if she was on fire and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 311October 1, 2020 2:41 AM

I mean, REALLY, who does that?

by Anonymousreply 312October 1, 2020 2:49 AM

Hearing about Susan Pratt and Jay Hammer unabashedly spilling the tea gets me thinking about her place in the soap world. I get the impression GH fans never had an issue with her, but her '70s-'80s character Anne Logan is almost universally loathed. Susan joked that her own daughter was bored by her work on AMC. How do GL fans feel about her/Claire?

by Anonymousreply 313October 1, 2020 2:52 AM

I loved Susan Pratt on her original run on AMC. She was so beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 314October 1, 2020 2:55 AM

Michelle Forbes was driven to exhaustion but GL. That was her only issue.

MOL didn’t just get up he also said how concerned he was. When Krista was giving her rundown of how Judi was doing, MOL got up for part of it but came back, said he was concerned and nodded along as Krista spoke.

I think it was Whitesell who made her time miserable and exhausted her. Beth was on at least 4 days a week. Her and Reva had the most airtime. That said, Judi seems fine with that crew now. And FFS it was 35 years ago. She’s over it.

by Anonymousreply 315October 1, 2020 3:07 AM

R313 Claire was an interesting character when she was first brought in - a little edge to her. She was supposed to be for Kelly but then JWS left, and she was paired with Jay, which I don't think was ever meant long term but which really clicked. In some ways, Claire and Fletcher as they were originally written were sort of General Hospital type characters on GL.

Unfortunately when GL went through that terrible clusterfuck of writers between Long 1 and Long 2 they made Claire a villainess and just took any real depth to the character away. She was a cunt to everyone and no one was sad to see the character go.

They totally fucked up on her 90s return as well. But then again, in that Rauch era all the characters had the depth of a penny so it really wasn't her fault.

Anne Logan wasn't hated, though we've often made the joke here that her lady business had a Perma Seal on it because of her virginity. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 316October 1, 2020 3:11 AM

R297

Can you expound on what Jay said about Beverlee and Marj?

Did they mention the Barbados remote for Fletch & Claire? The pools scenes were so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 317October 1, 2020 3:18 AM

Did Jay talk about Pamela?

by Anonymousreply 318October 1, 2020 4:38 AM

Jay was a bitch talking about Pam. Said she was always late for everything and that she’s still late for everything. That’s the mother of some of your children, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 319October 1, 2020 9:04 AM

hmph

by Anonymousreply 320October 1, 2020 12:28 PM

By all accounts from various Locher Room interviews, Michael O'Leary was a huge practical joker with his castmates. Thing about it is, practical jokers often cross a line with their antics. Their jokes can be very hurtful to some of the recipients.

Judi was just 18 when she started on GL. Had never been on her own before, had never even seen snow when she moved from California to NYC to take the part. The role of Beth was the hardest of the Four Mustketeers. Character was very vulnerable, very emotional. Judi had to dig deep inside to pull off her performance, which won her an Emmy just a year after she got the part.

From everything I've read, Judi was very sensitive to the good natured teasing from her castmates, especially Michael and Grant. And if Michael took some of the practical jokes too far, well that would have made it even worse.

The fact the show broke up its super-couple of Phillip and Beth less than a year into their pairing speaks volumes. Most shows would tell castmates who don't get along to suck it up and find a way to make it work. But GL didn't do that. They paired Beth with Lujack and found onscreen magic again.

Vince was said to have been very protective of Judi, which likely helped make their pairing work. The two hung out a lot thus giving Judi a friend her own age on the set. Meanwhile, the others of her age group -- Grant, Michael and Krista Tesreau -- hung out separately.

However, at the same time as they paired Beth and Lujack, show broke up the Four Musketeers. Judi continued to have some scenes with Grant until he departed in Dec. 1984 (as Phillip tried to win Beth back from Lujack). However, Judi rarely had scenes with Michael O'Leary ever again.

Add into this being in an abusive relationship with director John Whitesell, is it any wonder Judi doesn't want to revisit that dark time in her life.

by Anonymousreply 321October 1, 2020 1:42 PM

I wish I had gotten to see Grant’s long dong.

by Anonymousreply 322October 1, 2020 2:04 PM

I loved Jay and Susie's honesty especially around Richard Van Vleet and him being fired. They were refreshingly honest.

by Anonymousreply 323October 1, 2020 2:59 PM

What did they say about RVV?

by Anonymousreply 324October 1, 2020 5:09 PM

Wow. I just took a glance at the latest Locher Room and I would've never known that was Susan Pratt by looking at her.

by Anonymousreply 325October 1, 2020 5:17 PM

Susan Pratt looks good considering she has 3 children, the youngest being 29!

by Anonymousreply 326October 1, 2020 5:21 PM

I loved listening to Susan Pratt! I started watching GL just towards the end of her run as Claire so I missed the pairing with Fletcher. Susan clearly adores Jay Hammer. It’s too bad the show was such a mess when Claire returned in 99 that they couldn’t have brought Fletcher back then. Sounds like Jay would have basically worked for free at that point.

by Anonymousreply 327October 1, 2020 5:30 PM

Matthew Crane (Matthew Another World) brother Anthony Crane who was/is a model - pictures from the 90s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328October 1, 2020 5:39 PM

She kept talking over Jay Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 329October 1, 2020 5:47 PM

Susie looks good.

As Claire in the 80s her hair and makeup looked harsh - she came across as very ratfaced. But she looks better now than she did then!

by Anonymousreply 330October 1, 2020 6:10 PM

Jay Hammer on Maureen being killed off: "The writers must've been high on crack!"

by Anonymousreply 331October 1, 2020 6:37 PM

Queen Locher is an idiot. He edited out some of the tea that Sue Pratt and Jay spilled. The show is off the air Alan. Whats the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 332October 1, 2020 8:14 PM

It’s his show r332. Don’t like it, don’t watch.

by Anonymousreply 333October 1, 2020 8:17 PM

Is that you Miss Queen Locher?

by Anonymousreply 334October 1, 2020 8:31 PM

That's the insane, demented loon that we all ignore, R333. Don't even give that bitch the time of day.

by Anonymousreply 335October 1, 2020 8:42 PM

I’ve listened to most of the Jay/Susie session and really liked them. And I disagree with the poster who implied Jay was trashing Pam when he said how she’s always late. I have good friends who are always late and it’s a thing and we acknowledge it...it’s not trashing them.

And Susie is wonderfully dishy.

by Anonymousreply 336October 1, 2020 8:51 PM

He was not trashing Pam. He said with a tone of affection.

by Anonymousreply 337October 1, 2020 9:30 PM

Jay really did have great chemistry with a number of female co-stars: Susan, Bev, Ellen Parker, Maureen Garrett...

And he was absolutely right that Buzz took over what should have continued being Fletcher's place on the show.

by Anonymousreply 338October 1, 2020 9:38 PM

Jay was really the only person who had genuine believable romantic chemistry with Beverlee - he softened her and made Alexandra more human. And he also worked wonderfully with Marj. Had he been paired with Marj instead of Maureen Garrett, perhaps Alex wouldn't have become such an OTT character.

Beverlee would have torn Don Stewart to shreds, which he recognized early on. They stuck her with the old guys for a long time - Hawk Shayne and HB Lewis - in an attempt to soften her, but while HB and Alex were charming as friends, she was 25 or more years younger than both.

She and Zaslow definitely had chemistry as screen partners, but as enemies - apparently not so different than real life.

I liked Jay (and Fletcher) but he was a little bit....I don't know. Not boring, a better actor than, say, Frankie D. But he was sort of always generically written and plugged in for whoever didn't have a partner at the moment. A lot of his bold flavor was wiped out when Fletcher married Maeve and I'm not sure he ever got it back.

by Anonymousreply 339October 1, 2020 10:32 PM

A few actors (including CZ) have talked about these changes.....basically a lot of our older actors are in danger of losing health insurance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340October 1, 2020 10:33 PM

Why was Richard Van Vleet fired? Other than being completely wrong for the role? What did they say?

by Anonymousreply 341October 1, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote] Why was Richard Van Vleet fired?

Because Peter Simon agreed to come back

by Anonymousreply 342October 1, 2020 11:04 PM

Ellen Parker debuted as Maureen at the same time that Peter Simon returned in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 343October 1, 2020 11:06 PM

R324 Susie said she adored Peter Simon and that RVV was a pain in the ass and all he talked about was being a star on AMC. Never was prepared. Didn't know his lines, was unprofessional and just all around unpleasant.

She was a fucking hoot!

by Anonymousreply 344October 1, 2020 11:08 PM

What did he edit out?

by Anonymousreply 345October 1, 2020 11:11 PM

Susie said that all he talked about was being a star over at AMC, never knew his lines. He was difficult. I think he was fired because they got Peter Simon to come back which everyone adored.

by Anonymousreply 346October 1, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote]And he was absolutely right that Buzz took over what should have continued being Fletcher's place on the show.

Yet another reason to dislike the Buzz character. Not only did Maureen get killed off for him, Fletcher got written off to accommodate him.

Justin Deas is a fine actor, but he never did anything for me as Buzz. A hammy character that was so un-interesting compared to all the others on the show.

I could tolerate the Cooper family for the first few years, but once Buzz arrived and he started eating the show, I came to really dislike the enitre clan including Harley.

by Anonymousreply 347October 1, 2020 11:13 PM

Beth was definitely the hardest role of the younger set. She had to be tough yet extremely vulnerable. They put Beth through the ringer. Judi was battling exhaustion, an abusive boyfriend who just happened to be a director (I can’t believe the show allowed that- Beth was one of their top characters) and had some jealousy for winning th show’s first ever acting Emmy.

Someone mentioned they were thinking of killing Beth off after her 1989 return. Surely not. That would have been extremely cruel. Beth survived so much, was beloved, only to come back from the dead only to be killed? No way. That would have been an epic mistake.

I don’t believe Judi and Grant had a bad relationship. They had plenty of scenes together until he left. Phillip never stopped pursuing Beth.

by Anonymousreply 348October 1, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] Because Peter Simon agreed to come back

I should add that when Joe Willmore became producer of Guiding Light, he went on a hiring spree to get as many former fan favorites back on the show. In rapid succession he lured Grant Alexander, Peter Simon & Christopher Bernau (and later Robert Newman)

by Anonymousreply 349October 1, 2020 11:14 PM

[quote] Yet another reason to dislike the Buzz character. Not only did Maureen get killed off for him, Fletcher got written off to accommodate him.

Once and for all - Maureen WAS NOT killed off for the Buzz character. Prior to Maureen getting killed off, Beverlee McKinsey, left the show - so there was plenty of money to pay Justin Deas his salary as Beverlee was no longer drawing a salary from GL

by Anonymousreply 350October 1, 2020 11:16 PM

There was also a 6-7 span between Maureen being killed and Fletcher leaving.

JFP that fucking cunt killed Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 351October 1, 2020 11:17 PM

Why did Chris Bernau leave originally?

by Anonymousreply 352October 1, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote] Why did Chris Bernau leave originally?

He left the first time around, as he played the part for seven years and wanted to give L.A. a shot

by Anonymousreply 353October 1, 2020 11:31 PM

Thats strange because if you go to IMDB it shows no credits other than GL during that time.

by Anonymousreply 354October 1, 2020 11:36 PM

r354

well 353 said he wanted to give LA a shot but he didn't say he was successful

by Anonymousreply 355October 1, 2020 11:38 PM

R354 that is why he came back - nothing happened for him in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 356October 1, 2020 11:39 PM

Except unfortunately the AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 357October 1, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote] Except unfortunately the AIDS.

I suspect that is why Chris returned to Guiding Light - not only for the salary, but the SAG medical benefits

by Anonymousreply 358October 2, 2020 12:04 AM

R352 In his SOD interview, he said he left GL because he wanted to take a well-deserved vacation. indicating that he took off to travel around Europe. When he returned, he did go to California, but indicated that once there he only did a few local theater gigs and/or small films. If those were indies or shorts, then given their age, they might not be in IMDb. He also said that just prior to his GL return, he completed a film that was tentatively titled "The Key." Again, given that this was over 30 years ago, if it never actually got released-distributed, then it's possible it's never got added to IMDb.

by Anonymousreply 359October 2, 2020 12:35 AM

So many soap stars lost in that era.

I guess it was understandable why press was vague about Bernau's death then. But still now....? Zimmer's book said he died of some odd disease.....bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 360October 2, 2020 1:45 AM

R360 regardless Zimmer as nothing but positive things to say about Bernau in her book -

by Anonymousreply 361October 2, 2020 1:54 AM

R361 True. And about almost everyone else she wrote about.

by Anonymousreply 362October 2, 2020 1:56 AM

She didn’t have anything positive to say about Ellen Wheeler.

by Anonymousreply 363October 2, 2020 2:05 AM

and she didn't have anything positive to say about her second stint on OLTL and the "unnamed" actress who had affairs with her co-stars

by Anonymousreply 364October 2, 2020 2:07 AM

It's possible Bernau used a different name for those films he shot while in LA. Not unheard of for soap actors to change their names in Hollywood.

Grant's full name is Grant Aleksander Kunkowski. He obviously used Aleksander as his soap name, but said in an interview (no sources queen, I don't remember which one), that once he got Hollywood and hit the big time, he intended to use a different name.

As for Kim Zimmer, I was shocked she said Chris Bernau died of some "tropical disease" in her book. It was common knowledge on that set he died of AIDS. So for her to say "tropical disease" was like a slap in the face.

We discussed that at length here on DL back in 2010 when the book came out. A lot of us were outraged, but one poster pointed out she would have been the first to say in print that he died of AIDS. She might have been reluctant to take that step, to publicly announce he died of AIDS. That would be a big responsibility outing him, especially not knowing how Bernau's family felt about disclosing his death from AIDS.

Or for that matter how his fans might have felt about getting that news. I mean, there are still some Edge of Night fans who insist Joel Crothers was straight and engaged to Veleka Gray, and even today, if you ask the other Edge actors about it, they sidestep the question.

So, instead, it was Roger Newcomb on the We Love Soaps site who outed Bernau as having died of AIDS. He did that as part of a 2011 World AIDS Day roundup of all the soap actors we've lost to AIDS, which is linked below. Roger also outed Joel Crothers as having died of AIDS at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365October 2, 2020 2:07 AM

From Kim's book:

My early days as Reva offered me the opportunity to work with some fantastically talented actors, including Chris Bernau, who was a real ballbuster. Chris lived and breathed his character. He was an amazing actor who scared a lot of the other actors he worked with because all he wanted was to do his scenes, do them right, and then move on. There was seldom any laughter working with Chris. If you did somehow make him laugh, it was the highlight of everyone’s day. Let’s just say that I made him laugh a lot! He’d give me shit and I’d give it right back to him. Although he probably never admitted it, I like to think Chris enjoyed working with me as much as I enjoyed working with him. I found him to be a wonderful challenge and loved every minute of working together. His death in 1989 was a huge shock. Chris traveled extensively, and although I never really knew for sure, it was rumored that he had caught some terrible bug on one of his exotic journeys. His loss was really painful.

by Anonymousreply 366October 2, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] and she didn't have anything positive to say about her second stint on OLTL and the "unnamed" actress who had affairs with her co-stars

Viki Sleestak, you hussy!

by Anonymousreply 367October 2, 2020 2:12 AM

Well maybe Zimmer wanted to be sensitive to the Bernau family, even though he was outed as dying from AIDS - the official death certificate says Natural Causes

Who is Zimmer to out Bernau in print, as the only record of him dying from AIDS, is from the internet. Plus her book was obviously looked over by lawyers. If she wrote he died of AIDS, when the death certificate says something different, that would set her up for a lawsuit from the Bernau estate.,

by Anonymousreply 368October 2, 2020 2:17 AM

r368 I largely agree with everything you said. Not Zimmer's place to be the first to out Chris Bernau. And lawyers probably vetoed it as well.

But Zimmer also didn't have to write that he "caught some terrible bug on one of his exotic journeys." (Thanks to r366 for posting the exact paragraph, thereby correcting my earlier phrasing). I mean, she could have left that sentence out entirely and just said "His death loss was really painful and I miss him."

by Anonymousreply 369October 2, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote] But Zimmer also didn't have to write that he "caught some terrible bug on one of his exotic journeys." She could have left that sentence out entirely and just said "His death loss was really painful and I miss him."

Agree 100%

by Anonymousreply 370October 2, 2020 2:26 AM

[quote] But Zimmer also didn't have to write that he "caught some terrible bug on one of his exotic journeys." She could have left that sentence out entirely and just said "His death loss was really painful and I miss him."

Agree 100%

by Anonymousreply 371October 2, 2020 2:26 AM

[quote] Roger also outed Joel Crothers as having died of AIDS at the same time.

You can forget that claim that Roger Newcomb "outed" Joel Crothers' death from AIDS in his 2011 World AIDS Day tribute.

That fact had already been published in-print way back in 2003 in Craig Hamrick's biography of actor Louis Edmonds, "Big Lou."

by Anonymousreply 372October 2, 2020 2:36 AM

I would also question that Roger Newcomb was the first to report on Bernau.

If you go to the excellent Dark Shadows wiki, their entry on Bernau includes the same information about his heart attack and AIDS. And looking at the editing notes there, that fact was part of the original version they put up in October 2010 -- more than a year before Newcomb's 2011 article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373October 2, 2020 3:17 AM

Liz, you are so right, as always.

by Anonymousreply 374October 2, 2020 3:19 AM

Herbert Augustine Bernau becomes Chris Bernau. I can certainly understand why he changed his name.

But maybe Herb Bernau is how he is credited in those films he did while in LA in 1984-86, Or maybe he went by Gus Bernau. Or maybe Herb August.

by Anonymousreply 375October 2, 2020 3:57 AM

That Dark Shadows Wiki also outs Joel Crothers and acknowledges he died of AIDS. However, it presents the engagement to Veleka Gray as legitimate rather than the bearding situation it most likely was.

Also it casually mentions his role on Edge of Night in passing, even though he played Miles Cavanaugh for 7 years. Edge of Night is the role he is best known for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376October 2, 2020 4:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377October 2, 2020 4:01 AM

We seem to be M'd - making a new thread now.

by Anonymousreply 378October 2, 2020 4:51 AM

Here we go, next thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379October 2, 2020 4:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!