Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Penny Hughes?

I'm worried about her. She should really see a dermatologist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246September 2, 2020 10:38 PM

Was India Murieled?

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2020 7:07 PM

not yet R1 but...well....I was setting up a quieter room

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2020 7:19 PM

r2 Is Scoche scoching?

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2020 7:21 PM

Yes....I figured perhaps a quieter corner of the Cory library might be a more suitable meeting place.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2020 7:24 PM

Penny Hughes in the Cory library. What a treat!

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2020 7:47 PM

Was Rosemary Prinz put on a short term contract when she was back in 1986, or was she recurring . I thought they should have brought Amy (her daughter) on in the 1990s, as well as Don’s daughter Christina.

I always thought it would have been fun to have a recast, divorced Donald come back as Lucinda’s love interest, and have Christina come back as his spoiled, bitchy daughter who tries to break them up.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote]It would have been fun to have a recast, divorced Donald come back as Lucinda’s love interest, and have Christina come back as his spoiled, bitchy daughter who tries to break them up.

Only if they'd gotten Pete Lemay to write it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2020 7:59 PM

I meant have her come on as a teenager/young adult. Liz Hubbard was great with younger actors and that would have brought Lucinda into the Hughes family orbit. Maybe it would have spared us the Lucinda/James pairing.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]Maybe it would have spared us the Lucinda/James pairing.

When was that?

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2020 8:16 PM

1997, r9, they weren’t a couple but they married shortly after that stupid David Allen story. I hated the way Lucinda was written then, she never would have married James, after what he did in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2020 8:20 PM

Lucinda married Stenbeck? I had given up on the show by that point, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2020 8:23 PM

Amy did make appearances in the Marland years, IIRC. Didn't she hang with Frannie and Seth in London once or twice? And I thought she made an appearance after Lien was brought on.

I could have dreamed both.

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2020 8:28 PM

The idea that Lucinda would somehow have had an affair with James years prior that was unrevealed to the audience AND that she gave a child away was just absolute batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2020 8:31 PM

Amy Cunningham in 1986. Jump to around 15:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2020 8:39 PM

r13 Lucinda was David Allen's mother?

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2020 8:46 PM

R15 It had so many twists I can't remember if they retconned the retcon but at one point, yes

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2020 9:07 PM

R16 they did retcon the retcon. James was his father, but Lucinda wasn’t his mother. But James and Lucinda did apparently have a child together in the past that died and wasn’t David. I think?

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2020 9:10 PM

R17 I skipped most of ATWT from around 1996 to 2000, sadly. I'll take your word for it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Poor Rosemary. If it were today, Irna would have been fired for making ATWT a toxic work environment.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2020 9:29 PM

LOL Rosemary would get under Irna's skin. She was mega popular so Irma couldn't get rid of her. Instead she would write scenes where Penny would bemoan how homely and unattractive she was, and unworthy of a man. Rosemary would just laugh it off. She also took Irna to task for having Penny be 'barren' and then later suffer a miscarriage.

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2020 9:51 PM

So again - the actor that three Another World actors from Locher Room episode were referring to as "difficult" (besides Robert Kelker-Kelly)

Will NOT be revealed in this this thread (WHET Penny Hughes?) reaches [R300]

So get busy! I want to see these replies FILLED!

by Anonymousreply 21August 26, 2020 1:31 PM

If the poster claiming to know who the difficult AW actor was, he/she would go ahead and reveal it.THAT info would likely get a good discussion going.

And a good discussion is apparently the point of withholding the information until reply 300, which these threads will never get to since they are all Murieled by the time they reach about 250 replies.

by Anonymousreply 22August 26, 2020 1:35 PM

Time fades memories. If any of you REALLY think that it was so far and few between to have difficult actors, you are oblivious. There were many many difficult actors on all shows, AW included. Lead by the cunty Connie “get the fuck out of my light” Ford. Imagine saying that to a scared newbie. Ford would be fired on the spot today if she pulled that shit.

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2020 1:41 PM

r21 = Muriel

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2020 1:42 PM

[quote] Ford would be fired on the spot today if she pulled that shit.

Constance Ford also showed a very generous side, taking young actors under her wing giving them pointers. And sending flowers, notes and cards to cast and crew whenever any of them were sick or going through a personal tragedy

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2020 1:45 PM

R21, either share the details or don't. These threads rarely make it to 300.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2020 1:48 PM

R25 I bet many of them told Connie to shove her flowers up her twat. You don’t treat people like shit and then send them flowers. Bitch. I’d have kicked her in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2020 2:35 PM

I was just a kid in grade school but I remember my mother just loved Penny.

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2020 2:49 PM

r26, has a soap thread [italic]ever[/italic] made it to 300?

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2020 3:02 PM

R29 Oh, before the paywall stuff we'd regularly max out at 600 on our P&G threads.

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2020 3:03 PM

Obviously—except, apparently, to you, r30—I was referring to Muriel's current miasma.

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2020 3:06 PM

So why don't soap threads go beyond 300 replies? They used to all the time.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2020 3:09 PM

Because Muriel started to enforce the paywall on threads more across the board. Soap threads really weren't on her list before but they apparently are now. And once unpaid posters can't share anything, the threads die.

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2020 3:11 PM

I read once that Larry Bryggman and Kathy Hays didn’t get along in the 70s. What was that about ?

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote] Because Muriel started to enforce the paywall on threads more across the board. Soap threads really weren't on her list before but they apparently are now. And once unpaid posters can't share anything, the threads die.

Then posters should spring for a subscription - it won't break people's banks.

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2020 3:13 PM

Normally I'd agree r35 but we're living in a different era now.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2020 3:21 PM

R36 a DL subscription is not even $20.00

by Anonymousreply 37August 26, 2020 3:24 PM

For the thousandth time, it’s not the price. I refuse to pay for a broken website.

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2020 3:25 PM

r37 = another nincompoop who thinks the $20 is the issue

by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2020 3:25 PM

For newer readers I’ll once more repeat my Constance Ford story:

I was at audition to “replace” Mike Hammett, the bespectacled kid who then played Dennis Carrington. I went to Benton & Bowles, walked into a room and Constance Ford got up, shook my hand, looked me dead in the eye and said “Hi, how ya doin’?” I watched the show a little by then (it was my mom’s favorite) so I knew who she was. And I was very impressed by her treating my 12 year old self like a fellow actor. It turned out Hammett’s agents were playing hardball in negotiations so Paul Rauch used the “we’ll just recast” ploy. Hammett didn’t walk. Even if he had I wouldn’t have gotten the gig because I looked too similar to the kid then playing Jamie.

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2020 3:26 PM

What R38 said. I had been paying for years until Muriel purposely broke DL and refused to fix it. The day we can ignore threads again, I'll subscribe once more.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2020 3:27 PM

I think one of the reasons why the threads no longer go as long, as these shows shows have now been off the air for ten years or more. As much as I have enjoyed reading them, they have been discussed multiple times and there is not really much new that can be added.

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2020 3:27 PM

And yet, r42, we continue to create new P&G thread after new P&G thread after new P&G thread.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote]As much as I have enjoyed reading them, they have been discussed multiple times and there is not really much new that can be added.

We do rehash a lot of things on the P&G threads, especially about La McKinsey and La Hubbard and how grand Grant Aleksander's dong is.

Nonetheless, there seems to be new info coming out which makes the threads worthwhile. For example, the Locher Room interviews have given us lots of new information. New posters arrive and provide lots of new insights/information (unlike Mr. I've Got A Secret I'll Reveal at Reply 300). And as long as I've been here, I've never heard r40's story before.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote] until Muriel purposely broke DL and refused to fix it.

How is it broken?

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2020 3:38 PM

Peter and Courtney Simon are on Locher Room Next week! I am looking forward to this one. I don't think Simon did a lot of press when he was on GL.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote]How is it broken?

As of the last renovation, we have not been able to ignore threads, something I used to find essential. I am not interested in 75% of the things people post about on DL (politics, 21st century "music," sportsball, Madden/Froylan, BRF/MM, trans, Madonna), and I used to click the "ignore thread" button and they would go away.

You can ignore posters, but sometimes Trump, Madonna, or Froylan posters will have something interesting to say on other matters, and you have to go back and unignore them. It's broken.

by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2020 3:49 PM

r47 That's why the thread watcher scroll on the right is so vital. It lets you know when there are new posts in the threads you're interested in.

But even the thread watcher is semi-broken since some threads mysteriously drop off the watcher for no explicable reason, despite new posts being added to those threads.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2020 3:53 PM

The thread watcher posts numbers for posts you can't read, however, because you have the poster on ignore, and it will not stop. I keep clicking, and getting blanks, until I deselect the thread from the thread watcher.

It didn't work that way when you could ignore threads.

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2020 3:56 PM

R49 thank you, I couldn't figure out why so often I had a number in my thread counter, especially for soap threads, when I'd looked at all the threads.

I didn't realize it was counting the poster on ignore as unread.

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2020 4:50 PM

Unfortunately a well intentioned soul has shared the link to this thread on the India thread, so we may have to suffer the trials and tribulations of internecine board battles and eaten snatches soon.

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote] Obviously—except, apparently, to you, [R30]—I was referring to Muriel's current miasma.

You wrote: has a soap thread ever made it to 300?

I understood ever to be, well, ever. My apologies for not discerning that you only meant more recent threads.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2020 5:49 PM

R29 The current Days and Y&R threads are both over 300.

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2020 6:45 PM

I don't know about the Days thread, r53 (there are a few), but the Y&R thread of which you type has been paywalled for weeks. No one mentions it, I suspect, because it is Scoche-infested.

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2020 6:50 PM

They don't want to fuck a Penny. They want to fuck a Heather! Or, a Tiffany. Or, a Hope.

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2020 7:33 PM

Penny’s mole always freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2020 10:42 PM

The nonsense on the India thread appears to have gotten Muriel's attention. It's paywalled.

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2020 10:59 PM

Well, it's also now over 300 replies so that could also be part of the reason it was M'd.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2020 11:04 PM

The R300 question has been answered in the India thread as that thread has reached 300

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2020 11:05 PM

Carl from SON is a real eeyore. I read his posts to be depressed

by Anonymousreply 60August 26, 2020 11:15 PM

Are there many GL episodes left on YouTube?

by Anonymousreply 61August 26, 2020 11:17 PM

Penny Hughes had that look of who you'd point to if someone asked, " whose feet do you think are smelling up the place?"

by Anonymousreply 62August 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Marcus Smythe has died of brain cancer.

by Anonymousreply 63August 26, 2020 11:20 PM

R40 That was some nutjob Tim something or other who always called Anna Stuart ‘Anna Banana’, very annoyingly. Cunt Connie had better be nice to young kids. Connie Ford was a miserable old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2020 12:06 AM

McCabe and Goutman are both flaunting their new loves in each others faces. Messy!

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2020 12:09 AM

Aw, that's sad. One of the Peter Love's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2020 12:36 AM

And a hat tip to Marcus, because the article I posted above includes this:

"In lieu of flower tributes, the family respectfully encourages contributions to a favorite charity or Democrat in the upcoming election. The family wishes to reinforce to everyone that the pandemic is real and asks everyone to please wear a mask"

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2020 12:38 AM

Bonus points for who can guess who Jef Spencer-Hira blew in order to get a character named after him?

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2020 3:07 AM

R65

Details please!! I didn't know McCabe & Goutman finally divorced. Did she finally get her drinking under control? Is he fucking one of his students?

Details!

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2020 9:00 AM

Hey , asshole who referred to me as a “nutjob”: do you know me?

Anna Stuart WAS known as “Anna Banana” by her pals such as my now deceased friend Geraldine Court. And I absolutely did meet Constance Ford in a casting session back in the 70’s.

You jealous, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2020 3:47 PM

R70 The person who said that is a Grade A loon. Just FF and ignore them.

This is the same adult human person who thinks it's hysterical to talk about actresses clogging toilets. This person has severe, dire mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 71August 27, 2020 3:52 PM

Goutman looked like the Crypt Keeper in that 2018 interview.

by Anonymousreply 72August 27, 2020 7:20 PM

Tim Will is off his meds apparently. No one ever said that Anna wasn’t called Anna Banana. No one ever said that he didn’t meet cunty Connie.

by Anonymousreply 73August 27, 2020 8:23 PM

Meanwhile The Purge continues on YouTube and hundreds of episodes of Guiding Light and As The World Turns are continuing to be yanked off.

I should have downloaded those episodes, but silly me. I had thought they'd remain on YouTube, as what use does P&G have with them now?

by Anonymousreply 74August 27, 2020 8:25 PM

Are they still broadcasting GL and ATWT in China?

by Anonymousreply 75August 27, 2020 8:40 PM

R75 it has been over a decade since the shows went off the air in the USA - even if they were behind in broadcasts in China, surely they would've run out of episodes by now.

by Anonymousreply 76August 27, 2020 8:41 PM

It was reported that the shows were sold to China sometime after the U.S. broadcasts ended.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2020 8:43 PM

just saw this about "Texas"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote]just saw this about "Texas"

I agree with this writer. I bow to no one in my love for B. McKinsey, but Texas was sooooo bad at the beginning, I checked out after a few months. But I picked it up again in the last few months, largely because my local station moved it to a new time slot. It was really quite good. I was not surprised that Pam Long went on to great success with Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 79August 27, 2020 11:17 PM

Thanks, R71.

by Anonymousreply 80August 27, 2020 11:18 PM

I was flipping through an Old Soap Opera Digest (I'm the one that has every issue from 1982 to 2004)

When Beverlee McKinsey quit Texas she gave a rare press conference for the media (she still believed in the show and wanted to give it some publicity before she left)

she said it was a MISTAKE to make Iris a romantic heroine, because that is not Iris. She did enjoy it when Iris went back to her villainous ways, but by then it was too late. She just didn't want to do a soap anymore.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote] I should have downloaded those episodes, but silly me. I had thought they'd remain on YouTube, as what use does P&G have with them now?

Maybe P&G, or whoever currently owns the rights, is thinking of a Watch The Doctors type streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2020 11:59 PM

Could never stand McKinsey’s voice. Chalkboard, nails.

by Anonymousreply 83August 27, 2020 11:59 PM

I loved Beverlee's voice.

LOVED!

by Anonymousreply 84August 28, 2020 3:42 AM

From your mouth, r82...

by Anonymousreply 85August 28, 2020 5:58 AM

[quote]Maybe P&G, or whoever currently owns the rights, is thinking of a Watch The Doctors type streaming service.

That would be a dream! I would definitely be a subscriber.

by Anonymousreply 86August 28, 2020 6:01 AM

P&G is not going to do anything with its dead soaps.

by Anonymousreply 87August 28, 2020 7:07 AM

Soap blogger Patrick Erwin appears to have restarted his A Thousand Other Worlds soap blog, with special emphasis on P&G soaps. He wrote that blog regularly in the late 2000s then paused it after the P&G soaps died. He restarted it a few years ago after getting some traffic from our DL soap threads, but paused it again. And now he's back!

Below is a recent blog he wrote where references our P&G soap threads on DL. He doesn't name DataLounge, but its clear he's talking about these threads.

Glad to have you back writing Patrick. Thanks for joining us here too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 28, 2020 9:21 AM

Why did GL write off Rita Stapleton? I always loved the character and Lenore Kasdorf. Did she just want to leave?

Actually Guiding Light under the Dobsons was really great. I enjoyed the show more under them than even with Marland. And Marland's ATWT was better than the Dobsons.

Any dish on Mart Hulswit? He had a presence that Peter Simon never did.

by Anonymousreply 89August 28, 2020 9:39 AM

Oops, put link in wrong place..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 28, 2020 9:40 AM

A profile of Beverlee McKinsey recently written up by her hometown newspaper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 28, 2020 9:57 AM

r89, No idea why Lenore Kasdorf wanted to leave GL in 1980. She was so good. I always figured they'd bring Rita back at some point in the 80s, but they obviously never did.

People on these P&G threads have reported that newly installed GL EP Joe Wilmore wanted to bring Kasdorf back as Rita when he took over in 1986. He lured both Chris Bernau and Peter Simon back, so bringing Kasdorf back would seem natural.

However, the Dobsons were doing Santa Barbara at that point and signed Kasdorf to play Caroline Wilson in fall 1986. She played that role for a little over a years but Caroline was never fully developed and got lost amidst all the other Santa Barbara characters.

by Anonymousreply 92August 28, 2020 10:07 AM

r89 What I've always heard about Mart Hulswit was that the show wanted a younger actor to play Ed. Even though Peter Simon (born in 1943) was only 3 years younger than Hulswit (born in 1940) in real life, he looked a good 7-10 years younger. Thus, they deSORASed Ed with the casting of Peter Simon.

This was around the time the show was trying hard to project a younger, hip, cool image to attract younger viewers (remember 1981 was the height of Luke and Laura mania and ABC soaps were attracting many young viewers).

So, to project that younger, hip, cool image, they adopted the disco opening and emphasized the Laurel Falls gang. Casting a younger looking leading man to play Ed would seem to go along with that thinking.

by Anonymousreply 93August 28, 2020 10:20 AM

I too would love a P&G service. It's what many of us have wanted for years.

Give the people what they want!

by Anonymousreply 94August 28, 2020 2:37 PM

ORD my dear. It will never ever ever happen. Senile much?

by Anonymousreply 95August 28, 2020 3:09 PM

Anyone know if Meryl has more than one brother. More than the one married to Maeve?

I just read that Meryl's nephew has been arrested for road rage. He beat the guy & strangled him. The guy was air lifted for brain surgery.

by Anonymousreply 96August 28, 2020 4:40 PM

Wikipedia indicates Meryl has two brothers. The nephew in question is the son of Meryl's brother Dana.

by Anonymousreply 97August 28, 2020 4:42 PM

R92 I know there was fan chatter in later years that Olivia would turn out to be Ed and Rita's daughter. Crystal did a solid job with Olivia despite a lack of any real definition for the character, but that would have been interesting on several levels - bringing Rita back might have unsettled Holly and Blake, as well as Michelle and Rick.

by Anonymousreply 98August 28, 2020 5:48 PM

Peter Simon was off the show when Olivia was first introduced in 1999. He only came back in 2002 for the Rick heart transplant story (which mercifully rid the show of the yawn inducing Prince Richard character).

I agree, having Olivia be Ed and Rita's daughter would have been great. Would have really tied her to the show nicely. But Ed would have needed to be on the canvas at the time for that reveal to have any real impact.

Bringing Rita back in 2002 would have made sense since the show was observing its 50th anniversary on TV that year. Interestingly, Lenore Kasdorf and Peter Simon never played opposite each other. Kasdorf left the show in June 1981 and he didn't take over as Ed until August 1981

by Anonymousreply 99August 28, 2020 10:30 PM

I don't get P&G's mentality. They don't want people putting their old home recordings of the soaps up online, but they can't be arsed to make a deal with any of the streaming services. You'd think they'd want to squeeze whatever money they can get out of them.

by Anonymousreply 100August 28, 2020 11:17 PM

They should have recast Ed in 1981 with Robert Gentry. He would have brought a sexiness to the role that Peter Simon and Mart Hulswit lacked. And he had played him in the 60s, so it wouldn’t have been that jarring. Gentry left Another World in November of 1981, so I’m sure they could have made that work .

by Anonymousreply 101August 28, 2020 11:53 PM

They tried bringing Gentry back in the late 80's and it didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 102August 29, 2020 12:09 AM

r102

Late 90s

by Anonymousreply 103August 29, 2020 12:11 AM

R100 I think they'd just prefer that everyone forgot about the shows entirely, and they've had this attitude since about 1995.

by Anonymousreply 104August 29, 2020 12:11 AM

Robert Gentry was at his absolute peak of hotness in 1980 and 1981 when he played Phillip Lyons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 29, 2020 12:12 AM

Peter Simon is a miserable person.

by Anonymousreply 106August 29, 2020 12:15 AM

On an episode of The Locher Room - Sharon Gabet (Raven, Edge of Night) says it was P&G that pulled the plug on the show and NOT ABC

Many ABC affiliates were airing "Edge of Night" in late night, at like 1:30 AM and amazingly, they were pulling in good numbers!

But P&G just wanted to be done with EON and just pulled the plug.

by Anonymousreply 107August 29, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote][R100] I think they'd just prefer that everyone forgot about the shows entirely, and they've had this attitude since about 1995.

Well, obviously they failed at that even if they succeeded in their plan of letting them die through willful neglect, for lack of a better way of putting it.

[quote]But P&G just wanted to be done with EON and just pulled the plug.

And that was the same with their NBC and CBS shows.

by Anonymousreply 108August 29, 2020 12:17 AM

I was flipping through an old Soap Opera Weekly the other day and looked at the ratings in 1994

Another World was the HIGHEST rated P&G show in the 18-49 female demo, scoring higher ratings in that demo than either ATWT & GL

Yet AW was treated like the bastard stepchild at P&G, bit that show made money back in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 109August 29, 2020 12:22 AM

That was before they put a sitcom producer on it as showrunner.

by Anonymousreply 110August 29, 2020 12:24 AM

R109 That was Jill Farren Phelps who really pulled AW’s ratings to the stratosphere! AW beat GL outright.

by Anonymousreply 111August 29, 2020 12:25 AM

Obviously, they no longer cared about shows being on opposite each other if AW and ATWT were up against each other for years.

by Anonymousreply 112August 29, 2020 12:27 AM

R112 There wasn't alot of real estate on the daytime schedule to move around AW & ATWT so they wouldn't be opposite one another

by Anonymousreply 113August 29, 2020 12:29 AM

GL bore the brunt of local stations' desire to play musical chairs with its time slot.

by Anonymousreply 114August 29, 2020 12:31 AM

Just stumbled across this today.

I've always liked Peter Simon as Ed, but this makes me better understand why old time fans liked Ed and Mike - they were hotties here!

(RIP Opa Bauer, though.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 29, 2020 12:32 AM

I’d like receipts, r109, that this occurred at all and for any measurable length of time. Usually, GL and ATWT were far ahead Of AW at all times yet I keep seeing the same poster saying this over and over.

by Anonymousreply 116August 29, 2020 12:37 AM

R116 you have to remember AW lead-in was "Days of our Lives" which was number #1 in the 18-49 female demo.

While there was a huge drop-off in the demo from "Days" to "AW" - Another World still pulling in higher demos than ATWT & GL - and the reason was being after "Days" on the NBC schedule

by Anonymousreply 117August 29, 2020 12:46 AM

For R116 - I made a mistake -it was in 1996

Jill Farren Phleps pulled off the impossible - she raised AW Female Demos (18 - 49( HIGHER than both GL & ATWT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 29, 2020 12:59 AM

For how long? That is one week.

by Anonymousreply 119August 29, 2020 1:01 AM

R119 and here is the proof we some of us said that JFP pulled AW AHEAD of GL in the National ratings for one week

Week of July 29, plus AW has higher female demos than ATWT & GL - again JFP was kicking that show into higher ratings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 29, 2020 1:04 AM

Sorry Monticello Edge but facts are facts. Jill Farren Phelps knew how to get ratings!

by Anonymousreply 121August 29, 2020 1:05 AM

These are the Nielsen ratings for the soaps for the entire year of 1996 (including the female demo 18-49)

and you can see JFP managed to push AW female demos HIGHER than ATWT & GL pretty much every week (those some weeks were off)

But it amazing she managed to get women to watch AW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 29, 2020 1:06 AM

Not nearly every week and it didn’t last long. Both GL and ATWT were both much higher rated overall.

by Anonymousreply 123August 29, 2020 1:08 AM

JFP totally kicked ASS at AW!

by Anonymousreply 124August 29, 2020 1:09 AM

R123 the national are meaningless to advertisers & P&G - it is the 18-49 female demo that counts

and JFP was earning her salary by pushing AW into HIGHER female demos consistently BEATING ATWT & GL

by Anonymousreply 125August 29, 2020 1:10 AM

I don't know if that was JFP's doing, because CLEARLY the NBC shows got a bump from the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 126August 29, 2020 1:11 AM

R126 JFP was scoring higher demos in April, and the Olympics were not on in that month

by Anonymousreply 127August 29, 2020 1:13 AM

JFP is vile. On each show she produced she created a dark misogynistic tone that decimated the show she was helming.

GL didn’t recover from Maureen’s death and Beverlee McKinsey’s departure.

AW didn’t recover from the deaths of Ryan and Frankie.

She decimated the Quartermaines and ran nearly every vet off GH.

And so on.

The one good thing about only having 4 soaps remaining on the air is that she probably won’t be hired back to GH and Y&R, and there’s no way Brad Bell or Ken Corday would be willing to step aside for her.

by Anonymousreply 128August 29, 2020 1:16 AM

Have there ever been any threads on the best storyline ever for each soap?

by Anonymousreply 129August 29, 2020 1:19 AM

GL beat it most of 1996. Then there were quite a few ties in there. Overall, slight edge to GL for the year. ATWT did poorly as well. Shows how bad 1996 was for GL.

by Anonymousreply 130August 29, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote] GL beat it most of 1996.

NOPE AW had higher ratings in the 18-49 Female Demo OVER GL for 26 weeks (though not consecutively)

So AW & GL were actually tied in the 18-49 Female Demo as to which show had the higher ratings

by Anonymousreply 131August 29, 2020 1:32 AM

26 or tied. The rest GL was on top. As expected.

by Anonymousreply 132August 29, 2020 1:42 AM

R132 not when it came to 18-49 demo - they were tied. and if you want to get technical AW consistently scored higher demos than GL in 1996

The numbers don't lie, deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 133August 29, 2020 1:46 AM

I've had quite enough of the JFPstan. Blocked and FF'd.

by Anonymousreply 134August 29, 2020 2:16 AM

R133 I went week by week that’s not the case. Only summer into fall was it consistent. But they tied many times. GL dominated the early to mid part of 96. GL comes out slightly on top.

by Anonymousreply 135August 29, 2020 2:17 AM

R135 is in denial, despite the overwhelming evidence

by Anonymousreply 136August 29, 2020 2:22 AM

Anyway......as I was saying, darling, I just DON'T know what to do about Lily.

by Anonymousreply 137August 29, 2020 2:32 AM

R136 You provided evidence, I shifted through it and you’re mostly wrong. You desperately want AW to be above GL and ATWT. I get it. AW was always the also ran since the late 70s. It had some demo wins in 1996. Woooweeee. Ok. Otherwise, it got clobbered.

by Anonymousreply 138August 29, 2020 2:53 AM

Somebody needs to write a book about the decline and fall of the soaps. Once the backstage dramas became more interesting than the ones on the screen, that was pretty much the writing on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 139August 29, 2020 4:35 AM

R139 Someone has, Elana Levine.

by Anonymousreply 140August 29, 2020 4:41 AM

Serial Monticello is off the meds again. Its to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 141August 29, 2020 9:05 AM

Peter Simon will be on the Locher Room next week along with his wife Courtney (who was on the GL writer episode) and their daughter who I think is on the writing team at GH.

by Anonymousreply 142August 29, 2020 2:10 PM

Is Peter Simon still a miserable old coot? He was never happy.

by Anonymousreply 143August 29, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote] you’re mostly wrong. You desperately want AW to be above GL and ATWT.

But AW ratings were ABOVE GL and ATWT even after all the Nielsen ratings were provided to you

next you are going to say these numbers were faked, like Donald Trump talks about fake polls.

by Anonymousreply 144August 29, 2020 3:14 PM

You have to wonder how accurate these ratings were back then.

by Anonymousreply 145August 29, 2020 4:02 PM

This discussion about ratings from 24 years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 29, 2020 5:12 PM

Mart Hulswit was gaining too much weight and Ed would look like a perv with young-ish Maureen (Ellen Dolan). They made the right choice. Gentry was all wrong as Ed in his second shot at the role-he was as big a stick of wood as Richard Van Vleet was

by Anonymousreply 147August 29, 2020 5:36 PM

Richard Van Vleet was cute and he had chemistry with Ellen Dolan that I'm not sure Peter Simon really had with her (he was much better paired with Ellen Parker).

But Van Vleet was terrible at the dramatic parts. I've seen some early episodes of his where he was doing more lighthearted comedy and they came across well, but when they did the whole Beirut story, then had Ed and Claire, etc. he just wasn't up to the task.

by Anonymousreply 148August 29, 2020 5:50 PM

I was surprised at how poor Richard Van Vleet was playing Ed. He was easy on the eyes, but just so wrong for the part. I'd always liked him as Chuck on AMC, had never understood why they didn't give him more storyline. So, it was a shuck to how much be wasn't Ed.

by Anonymousreply 149August 29, 2020 9:56 PM

Susan Piper never sucked MY cock!

by Anonymousreply 150August 30, 2020 4:39 PM

I was almost Alexandra Spaulding.

by Anonymousreply 151August 30, 2020 5:27 PM

Look at what was uploaded yesterday. Now this is a fucking Emmy reel!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 30, 2020 7:52 PM

Interesting re R88 and that photo at R90 - MARY!

by Anonymousreply 153August 30, 2020 7:56 PM

R152 Charles Keating gold! Jill Farren Phelps really brought out the best in AW. Anna Holbrook, Charles Keating. Great material.

by Anonymousreply 154August 31, 2020 1:31 AM

Penny Hughes is a HUMAN ROACH NEST!

by Anonymousreply 155August 31, 2020 3:19 AM

Penny had that gawd awful mole on her face! Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 156August 31, 2020 9:45 AM

Just a quick question, because I know people don't want ABC questions here, but was it a big deal when Prinz helped launch All My Children? Was she one of the reasons people would have checked out the show?

She seemed like such a key character to one of the first story lines, I am surprised they did not plan on recasting her after Prinz's short contract was up, esp. with the pace of stories at the time.

by Anonymousreply 157August 31, 2020 12:58 PM

R157 I wasn't watching live then (since I was one years old!!) but Prinz was insanely popular and had just ended her long ATWT run, so yes, having someone that recognizable would have encouraged people to sample AMC.

I think later on Texas had the same hope w/Beverlee and Iris but because it was an existing character being mapped onto a new show it didn't work as well.

by Anonymousreply 158August 31, 2020 1:44 PM

anyone know if there is an OLTL thread?

by Anonymousreply 159August 31, 2020 6:13 PM

I need to talk about Miss Victoria Sleestack!

by Anonymousreply 160August 31, 2020 6:30 PM

Has there ever been an instance of a marquee name soap star switching shows and increasing ratings?

by Anonymousreply 161August 31, 2020 7:06 PM

R159 there is now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 31, 2020 7:07 PM

R161 I think when Jacqueline Courtney and George Reinhart went from AW to OLTL they did, at least for a time.

But it's rare for lightning to strike twice. I think Maura West has done it, but there was a gap between those two roles (plus that brief awful run on Y&R).

by Anonymousreply 163August 31, 2020 7:09 PM

Despite what every soap producer believes, fans do not tend to follow actors from one show to the other.

by Anonymousreply 164August 31, 2020 8:44 PM

Queen Bergman said that Maura’s pussy stunk. #YR

by Anonymousreply 165August 31, 2020 9:19 PM

r162

gracias

by Anonymousreply 166August 31, 2020 9:37 PM

I've been impressed by how long Maura has hung on at GH by the brute force of her talent. Anyone with less dynamism would have been written off a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 167August 31, 2020 9:39 PM

Sleestak's Locher Room session will cost you. ($15).

[quote] Daytime Stars and Strikes is teaming up with The Locher Room for a private pay per view session with Soap Opera legend Erika Slezak (Viki Lord) and two of her leading men – Mark Derwin (Dr. Ben Davidson) and Jerry verDorn (Clint Buchanan)! Join us on Thursday, September 17th at 2pm EST to watch these actors reminisce about the characters, the chemistry, the moments that shocked daytime television and the friendships built along the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 31, 2020 10:56 PM

WHAT???? Miss Locher is now making people pay for his god awful interviews??? WTF. No thank you. We already heard what their first day was like and what they’ve been doing during quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 169August 31, 2020 11:12 PM

If Alan Locher had something like the three Vicky/Marley actresses from Another World (Ellen Wheeler/Anne Heche/Jensen Buchanan) that would be something to pay for

But not this.

by Anonymousreply 170August 31, 2020 11:17 PM

R169 It's a charity event sponsored by Daytime Strikes and Stars for Autism (who work with Jerry verDorn and Liz Keifer). I think it's their thing, and they just got Alan to be the host.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 31, 2020 11:40 PM

R171 Alan Locher did a version of this already with Jerry Ver Dorn & Liz Keifer - but instead of closing it to non-paying people, he let fans contribute $100 to co-host with Locher for a period of time, then rotate to the next contributor.

by Anonymousreply 172August 31, 2020 11:44 PM

I figured eventually Locher had to transition this model into some kind of moneymaking thing for him, and these fundraisers are probably a trial run.

by Anonymousreply 173August 31, 2020 11:46 PM

R173 what Locher can do is auction off questions during the Livestream - watchers submit questions and pay an amount of money, and then Locher will ask the question.

by Anonymousreply 174August 31, 2020 11:49 PM

I should say at R172 the $100 to co-host with Locher went to charity, the autism charity that Guiding Light has supported for many years,

by Anonymousreply 175August 31, 2020 11:50 PM

Sorry Alan, but just NO. Not interested in paying to see or listen to these has beens.

by Anonymousreply 176September 1, 2020 12:19 AM

I wouldn't pay $15.00 to watch this - but I would chip in money to see Alan Locher continue his webcasts.

by Anonymousreply 177September 1, 2020 12:20 AM

I’ll pay $15 to watch Alan rub one out.

by Anonymousreply 178September 1, 2020 12:29 AM

I'd pay $50 if Mark Derwin would do a Zoom session in only boxers.

by Anonymousreply 179September 1, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote] I'd pay $50 if Mark Derwin would do a Zoom session in only boxers.

You can see his shirtless scenes from Guiding Light on YouTube

by Anonymousreply 180September 1, 2020 12:31 AM

I’d pay $50 to watch Miss Sleestack pleasure herself!!

by Anonymousreply 181September 1, 2020 12:36 AM

OK, then Grant in his BVDs.

by Anonymousreply 182September 1, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote] OK, then Grant in his BVDs.

You can also see that for free on YouTube

by Anonymousreply 183September 1, 2020 12:53 AM

You're trying rather hard to miss the point, Where Are Your Sources/Ratings Troll queen.

by Anonymousreply 184September 1, 2020 12:54 AM

General Hospital lured Denise Alexander away from DOOL - but it took the Laura storyline to finally give Denise great stuff to work with and that wasn't until about 5 years into her run,, 1978ish.

by Anonymousreply 185September 1, 2020 1:54 AM

SON people are so creepy and insufferable: Vee, Soapsuds, the new dumbdumb Dylan. I long for the days of Jonny, Jerry, and Vanessareardon

by Anonymousreply 186September 1, 2020 2:09 AM

We don't care, R186. Why do you persist in talking about people that none of us know about or care?

by Anonymousreply 187September 1, 2020 2:20 AM

r187 must be an undercover SON queen.

by Anonymousreply 188September 1, 2020 2:26 AM

No, R189, I am an old timer here and profoundly uninterested in SON. Some of you are not getting the fucking hint that none of us care about people on some other board.

by Anonymousreply 189September 1, 2020 2:31 AM

r189 is that you Vee? Don’t you have some ass zits to pop?

by Anonymousreply 190September 1, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote] If Alan Locher had something like the three Vicky/Marley actresses from Another World (Ellen Wheeler/Anne Heche/Jensen Buchanan) that would be something to pay for

Can you imagine those three in the same room?

by Anonymousreply 191September 1, 2020 3:02 AM

When Beverlee McKinsey started as Alex on GL in 1984, the ratings went up-but was it because of her or because Luke and Laura were written off GH around that time?

by Anonymousreply 192September 1, 2020 3:27 AM

R192 It was the Beth/Phillip/Mindy/Rick/Lujack story line.

by Anonymousreply 193September 1, 2020 3:52 AM

Anne Heche is rumored to be doing Dancing with the Stars this season. Final cast will be announced this Wednesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 1, 2020 5:12 AM

Celestia!

by Anonymousreply 195September 1, 2020 6:49 AM

Public Service Announcement : Be careful when ascending staircases and pay close attention lest you should misstep and fall UP the stairs. It could prove fatal.

Good night.

by Anonymousreply 196September 1, 2020 7:09 AM

Vee from SON is an asshole. He’s been mean to me.

by Anonymousreply 197September 1, 2020 8:40 AM

[quote] Can you imagine those three in the same room?

No, but I can safely predict he will ask each of them "Do you remember your first day?"

by Anonymousreply 198September 1, 2020 12:08 PM

How do/did Heche and Wheeler feel about each other? I expect that they respected each other, maybe even admired how the roles were handled by the other actor. But somehow, I doubt that either of them was impressed by Buchanan's approach to the roles -- and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they didn't/don't like her as a person (and probably vice versa).

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2020 2:37 PM

Wheeler and Buchanan met and worked together - I don't know that Wheeler and Heche ever met, though it would be hard to find two more diametrically opposite people.

Ellen Wheeler fascinates me, truly, and I say that without snark. Her soap career and then.....how does she go from "only love will save the world" to working for Glenn Beck?

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2020 2:53 PM

Is she still Mormon, R200?

by Anonymousreply 201September 1, 2020 3:10 PM

I would think Wheeler & Heche probably looked down on Jenson because Jenson only wanted to play Vicky. Ellen & Anne embraced playing both characters.

by Anonymousreply 202September 1, 2020 3:53 PM

Jensen

by Anonymousreply 203September 1, 2020 4:19 PM

Drunksen

by Anonymousreply 204September 1, 2020 4:48 PM

They’re just jealous because Jensen got a helicopter ride.

by Anonymousreply 205September 1, 2020 4:49 PM

Ha, Ha, R205! They might be jealous because Buchanan is beautiful and they're not. But there's such a huge, obvious gap between the acting ability of Heche and Wheeler vs. Buchanan, just no contest.

by Anonymousreply 206September 1, 2020 5:37 PM

I liked Buchanan as Vicki. I liked her version of Vicki and Jake, despite the fucked up history. But Heche was transcendent. An all-time great performance. No one could follow her and not be a come down. (Wheeler was before my time. Though her bit as Marley at the end was loopy.)

by Anonymousreply 207September 1, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote]I liked Buchanan as Vicki

Y&R = Vicki

OLTL = Viki

AW = Vicky

by Anonymousreply 208September 1, 2020 5:46 PM

I think Heche was the best, by a tiny smidge, if you look at just Vicky. Wheeler did a great job with both roles, though.

Jensen was a poor substitute, period.

by Anonymousreply 209September 1, 2020 5:46 PM

Jensen was incredibly boring as Marley, even when she and Dennis were banging in the closet at Iris's Christmas party that one time. Her Vicky was better than her Marley, but softer/weaker than the character seemed with Heche, Wheeler or even Lewin (part of that's a function of the writing, but some of it's on her).

Wheeler was better as Marley than Vicky (her version felt a bit like a kind playing dress-up to me). Heche nailed both of the characters (and was startlingly good at distinguishing between the two, if you watch her playing one twin posing as the other). Rhonda Lewin was...also there.

by Anonymousreply 210September 1, 2020 6:24 PM

Anne Heche is underappreciated.

by Anonymousreply 211September 1, 2020 8:51 PM

I loved Wheeler’s Vicky pretending to be Marley and accentuating her high pitched voice.

by Anonymousreply 212September 1, 2020 8:54 PM

R211 I’m an ATWT person, but from what I saw of AW on SoapNet and a bit on YouTube, Anne Heche was my favorite. It was pretty impressive that they had a 21 year old as their leading lady, and she more than rose to the occasion. Her Vicky was just such a unique character: half trashy tart, half gold-dust woman.

by Anonymousreply 213September 1, 2020 8:58 PM

R209 from what I saw of Jensen, I wasn’t impressed. She just seemed to have RBF all the time. Idk if she did enough to justify all those helicopter rides.

by Anonymousreply 214September 1, 2020 9:03 PM

Jensen was the personification of mediocrity as Vicky/Marley . And I always hated how she always pronounced “Carl” as “Cal.” What the fuck was up with that?

by Anonymousreply 215September 1, 2020 9:09 PM

Can anyone really blame Jensen for not wanting to play Marley though? Aside for the rape storyline, during the Heche era, Marley’s storylines (and wigs) were usually really awful.

by Anonymousreply 216September 1, 2020 9:10 PM

R215 so why did TPTB think she was so irreplaceable that they moved heaven and earth to keep her if we can all agree she wasn’t all that?

by Anonymousreply 217September 1, 2020 9:11 PM

Heche's run as Vicky and Marley really was one of the great sustained soap performances of all time. You always knew which was Vicky, which was Marley, and her scenes playing both were always exciting and full of beautifully rendered reactions (often outsized for Vicky, subtle for Marley, but always detectable and realized).

I liked Wheeler just fine, and didn't hate Jensen (I disliked that her salary reportedly caused a lot of cuts in the later years), but neither is in the neighborhood with Heche.

by Anonymousreply 218September 1, 2020 9:18 PM

They should have made Penny a more contemporary character!

Or twins! How about Penni/Penita?

by Anonymousreply 219September 1, 2020 10:09 PM

R216

I disagree with you that Marley wasn't a good character except during the rape. Marley was great with Jake (Ellen & Anne's versions), with Michael & Donna, with Jamie, etc..

by Anonymousreply 220September 1, 2020 10:34 PM

R219 Was "Penny" not a nickname for "Penelope"? .. Perhaps her twin's name could be "Caliope" and they can call her "Callie."

by Anonymousreply 221September 1, 2020 10:45 PM

All the talk about Vicki/Marley made me think about how doing a dual role can really elevate or expose an actor. When someone succeeds (Heche, Martha Byrne, David Canary, Julianne Moore), it's a joy to watch. But when they're bad (Jennifer Landon, Vicky Wyndham, Adrienne Frantz), it can be downright painful.

by Anonymousreply 222September 2, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote]But when they're bad (Vicky Wyndham), it can be downright painful.

The only thing wrong with Justine was the idiotic writing. I LOVED watching Lady Eyes-a-Buggin' really buggin' out. It was the only reason to watch AW in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 223September 2, 2020 1:43 AM

Was Frances Fisher good on Guiding Light? Was it obvious she had potential? I knew Allison Janney did when I watched her on Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 224September 2, 2020 1:54 AM

R223 - agreed. Justine as Rachel really popped off the screen. I was excited to see "Rachel" with Vicky, Ryan and Grant. VW really shone during that time.

by Anonymousreply 225September 2, 2020 2:08 AM

Frances Fisher got her acting start on Edge of Night in the late 70s. She played police detective Deborah Saxon, the daughter of a mob boss named Tony Saxon, who eventually married Geraldine Whitney.

Frances was great in the role. Showed amazing potential. I am not surprised she went on to have a big career. In fact, I'm surprised she didn't have a bigger career.

Her stint on GL as Suzette Saxon was a bit of a misfire. Show's writing was going a bit downhill by that point and the entire record company storyline was poorly thought out. Deborah did what she could with the character, but was written out after about 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 226September 2, 2020 2:10 AM

That should read "Frances did what she could could with the character but was written out after about 6 months."

by Anonymousreply 227September 2, 2020 2:32 AM

Deborah married Geraldine?

Gerry, you sly old lez!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228September 2, 2020 3:14 AM

R225, oh, get real. The Justine story was a fiasco, partly due to writing, but mostly due to the over-the-top histrionics of Wyndham.

by Anonymousreply 229September 2, 2020 4:26 AM

When I read these P&G threads I’m always reminded of how great, and underrated, Another World was from 1988-91 or so. It was classic soap opera-rioted in family and history with an emphasis on romance and adventure.. The show had an amazing roster of actresses, too-Wyndham, Ford, Stuart, Heche, Holbrook.

The only thing missing were Beverlee McKinsey and a few more 40 something actors capable of playing the love interests of such powerhouse female characters.

by Anonymousreply 230September 2, 2020 5:03 AM

Sadly, though I never watched, AW just never had buzz, seemed hip, or was much on the radar by the 80s. I was always sad the wildly inferior B&B caught on.

by Anonymousreply 231September 2, 2020 11:18 AM

[quote]The only thing missing were Beverlee McKinsey...

Since my soap-watching career started with AW in 1988, I never saw her as Iris. I thought Carmen Duncan was perfect, though I wondered at what point Iris had picked up that accent. It would be another year before I started watching GL, so for my first year watching AW, I had no concept of Beverlee McKinsey in anything.

by Anonymousreply 232September 2, 2020 12:54 PM

Unpopular opinion, while I liked David Canary and in general thought he was a good actor and thought Adam was a great character, I did not think his dual acting as Adam/Stuart was that impressive. Stuart was largely just a bunch of tics and mugging and shrugging of the shoulders. He often did not really seem like a real person. He could also be very annoying when used too much. A little Stuart could go a long way.

by Anonymousreply 233September 2, 2020 1:11 PM

I watched AW on youtube from about 1986 on. I was mesmerized by most everyone, but especially Denise Alexander. The only parts I had to skip (from 1986-89) were Philece Sampler as Donna. So very very wrong for the part. Even when Harding Lemay's stuff started, BNSD stood out like a sore thumb.

by Anonymousreply 234September 2, 2020 1:12 PM

I resisted Carmen Duncan as Iris initially but she actually really nailed the character's complicated relationships with "Daddy" and Rachel.

The problem with nuIris was that later writing wasn't very good to her, and she just became an OTT villainess.

by Anonymousreply 235September 2, 2020 1:25 PM

Last AMC post -- but this is AW related. The brought on Grant Pinter and Anna Stuart in as Greenlee's parents. Great actors and created some great dysfunctional characters that could have been filled the old money vibe that had been filled by Phoebe and they gave Greenlee interesting foils to play-off. Her relationship with Jack was pretty boring and its only purpose was to cause conflict between Jack and Erica. It was a mistake killing of Pinter and writing out Stuart (who also had good chemistry bantering with Lucci), they were always watchable and were a nice break from younger people eating the show, not all of who were necessarily skilled thespians.

by Anonymousreply 236September 2, 2020 1:34 PM

R236 True but Frons was on his murderous rampage of killing those shows by that time.

by Anonymousreply 237September 2, 2020 1:36 PM

R232, Carmen Duncan, in her first scene as Iris, told Mac she lived in London for a few years so I guess she could have picked it up watching her favorite Aussie soap Neighbours.

by Anonymousreply 238September 2, 2020 2:22 PM

[quote] I would think Wheeler & Heche probably looked down on Jenson because Jenson only wanted to play Vicky.

Well Jensen and Judi Evans were both cast at the same time. It would've made more sense to have Jensen as Marley and Judi Evans as Vicki - both ladies were even the same height. Then do the whole (she burned her whole face) story so the two would look different. But still have the same body type and height

Years later they did the (she burned her whole face) story with Ellen Wheeler when they brought her back as Marley and the audience was asked to accept them as twins, despite Wheeler being 2 feet taller than Jensen Buchanan!

by Anonymousreply 239September 2, 2020 2:42 PM

Gawd Penny Hughes was so boring. That sad pathetic Wade Bookshop set was drab and gray. Penny would eat an apple and sigh, and be visited by Ellen or Nancy. Nothing ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 240September 2, 2020 4:46 PM

This scene with Dusty has lots of homoerotic tension

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241September 2, 2020 5:02 PM

Mom!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242September 2, 2020 5:28 PM

OMFG I just realized the dude shaving in that clip is Jamey Sheridan!

by Anonymousreply 243September 2, 2020 9:31 PM

They're saying on another thread that this one has been Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 244September 2, 2020 10:33 PM

Thanks R244, will create a new one in a moment

by Anonymousreply 245September 2, 2020 10:34 PM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246September 2, 2020 10:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!