Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Bea Reardon?

Haven't seen her around for a while.

Nola and poor dead Maureen get all the attention but her two sons Jim and Tony had some serious sizemeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 17, 2020 10:09 PM

I think I would have picked Jim. Tony was hot too, of course, but Jim was that strong silent type.

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2020 10:44 PM

Tony looked like he smelled. I doubt he bathed that often.

Matt looked nothing like a Reardon but I’d never toss him out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2020 10:47 PM

Matt was too much of a pretty boy to me.

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2020 10:48 PM

OH Nola.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2020 10:51 PM

Morgan!

How I hate that NAME!

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2020 10:52 PM

Matt was Bea's grandson. Bridget was his sister.

So, we don't know how much those Reardon genes were diluted from the mother's side.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2020 11:25 PM

I liked the Reardons.

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2020 11:33 PM

The Reardons and their boarding house were first introduced to the show via Roger Thorpe of all people. Roger rented a room there in Jan 1980, hiding out while he was on the run.

Nola and Bea were the first two Reardons to be seen, first appearing on Jan. 7, 1980. Tony came a year and a half later, arriving in August 1981. Then Maureen came to town in January 1982.

Jim showed up in Dec. 1983, Thus, he was Pam Long's creation. But at first we only knew Jim as a mysterious doctor called Dr. John Stephens. We didn't learn he was a Reardon until Feb. 1984 when he revealed himself at the same gala where Alexandra was introduced and Billy and Vanessa got married. However, the show had been dropping hints about his true identity long before that.

Chelsea Reardon showed up in Nov. 1986, by which point all of her relatives except for Maureen and Bea were long gone from Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2020 11:40 PM

There were two more unseen Reardons - Sean (Matt and Bridget's father) and Lana.

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2020 11:52 PM

Lee Lawson (Bea Reardon) was apparently in a Broadway play with none other than true DL goddess Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2020 11:57 PM

Boarding House & its restaurant "Company" was AXED for the Cooper Diner on 5th Street

It gave Justin Deas something to do - but later in a strange twist, the Cooper wound up running a restaurant named "Company" and the Cooper Diner was never mentioned again

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2020 12:00 AM

I never knew this!

Marty West showing ass got John Conboy fired. Or was West MeToo'ed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote] There were two more unseen Reardons - Sean (Matt and Bridget's father)

He appeared on the show for a few episodes and was played by W.T. Martin

Matt and Bridget's mother was played by Soap Vet Elaine Bromka

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2020 12:06 AM

I loved Melissa Hayden

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2020 3:10 AM

I remember the brief Sean Reardon arc in 1995. I think Dinah brings him to town to make trouble for Matt, who's engaged to an older woman with money (Vanessa), which makes money-grubbing Sean see $$$$$. They had him around for like a month or two and then quickly sent him packing back to Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2020 5:40 AM

Is Melossa Hayden a big ole lez?

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2020 12:10 PM

OK, I have to give props to Alan Locher. The Simon Family Locher Room was great. They covered all the work the three did but also hit the main high points. Peter Simon's take on Maureen's death was fascinating and quite different from others. Highly recommended. As good as the Smith-Bryce-Marx episode.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2020 1:19 PM

Locher just landed Ron Raines & Ricky Paull Golden for a reunion

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2020 2:39 PM

Will have to watch R17. Sounds very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2020 3:32 PM

R6

My memory is a mess. I'd have sworn that Bea was their mom not their grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2020 3:33 PM

Lee Lawson, the actress that played Bea, was kind of young to be playing Bea.

Lisa Brown was about 25-26ish when Nola debuted, I think Nola was supposed to be maybe just out of HS. Lee was just turning 40 around that time.

So she was maybe 13-14 years older than Lisa (and Ellen Dolan) and 10-11 years older than Greg Beecroft. Not unheard of in soaps (was it Jed Allen who was younger than Stuart Damon but played his father?) but I guess they were going more for the physical match.

I remember seeing Lee on an episode of Maude from maybe 5-6 years earlier and she looked SO much younger.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2020 3:39 PM

Peter Simon couldn’t remember things. Does he got the dementia?

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2020 4:15 PM

Lee Lawson always seemed the right age to play a woman with kids that age.

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2020 7:13 PM

Today's Locher Room with the casting directors included special appearances by sexy Jordi Vilasuso and Van Haznisssssss himself!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2020 10:32 PM

Van is such a nelly queen. His career tanked after ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2020 1:41 AM

P&Gers- tell me why Nola’s fantasies were so great? I hear either really great things about them or really negative things. I was going to get around to them after I finished up my current timelines but DAMMT most were taken down. I don’t want to see an episode, but rather I wanted to see how it unfolded.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2020 2:44 AM

Fantasies were nothing new before or after on soaps - I remember seeing elaborate I-want-to-be-rich fantasies for ATWT's Meg and GL's Harley in the 80s.

Nola's fantasies really struck a note with viewers partly because they were part of her rehabilitation from schemer to heroine. To go from hated to heroine is quite a trick and those scenes helped her do it.

There's nothing technically special about them but they all tapped into Nola's story in a special way, either her romance with Quinton or ones like the Wizard of Oz, which is a beautifully universal story.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2020 3:01 AM

Nola's "Jane Eyre"- complete with a bit at the end with a character the show briefly appeared to be chemistry testing with Nola....a pre Reva Josh Lewis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2020 3:03 AM

Wuthering Heights

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2020 3:04 AM

R27 Thank you. Those that love them, really love the fantasies. They must’ve been special because I’ve heard about them a lot in my Guiding Light fandom.

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2020 3:05 AM

Marland wrote them well.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2020 3:10 AM

I did see one episode with Nola on YouTube when she was sick and I think had a dream/fantasy. It was funny from what I remember. Were the fantasies largely popular or more popular with a certain group.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2020 3:13 AM

R32 Not sure quite what you're asking but they were generally popular among fans.

I'm sure some younger fans would look at them now and think they were corny, but that's most everything these days.

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2020 3:57 AM

R33 Sorry I worded that awkwardly. Yes, I was wondering if they were a huge hit with most viewers or just those who are vocal on fan boards. Since I wasn’t born when they aired I don’t know many who watched them in real time except my mom. She wasn’t a huge fan of Quinton so she didn’t care for the fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2020 4:05 AM

Don't forget me, the Suddenly Southern Reardon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2020 11:01 PM

r35

I don't remember her having an accent on GL but she didn't even try on OLTL

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2020 11:34 PM

Oh, it came through. She tried hard at first to hide it but it's really hard to hide a Southern lilt.

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2020 11:35 PM

As much as I loved Kassie as Blair on OLTL and more recently as Eve on Days, I just never warmed up to her as Chelsea on GL.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2020 12:49 AM

Some tidbits from the Locher Room on "Casting Directors"

a then unknown Kristen Bell was up for a part on Guiding Light and was interested because it was non-contract. But once TPTB changed the role to a contract part, she withdrew from consideration as she didn't want to be tied up in a contract

Sterling K. Brown auditioned for five different parts on As The World Turns, and didn't get any of the roles

Mike Colter (TV Show "Evil") also auditioned for multiple roles on ATWT, and didn't get close to any of them

Emmy Nominee Anthony Carrigan (who plays a Mobster on the show "Barry") auditioned for the part of Noah, Luke's love interest

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2020 2:13 AM

This is Anthony Carrigan back then when he auditioned for Noah

He has lost all his hair due to a medical condition, which is why you google his name all that comes up are picture of him bald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2020 2:21 AM

In the Locher Room session with the casting directors, the GL guy said he only had 8 days to find Nicole Forrester as the NuCassie Layne.

That suggests Laura Wright's decision to bolt to GH in November 2005 came down to the wire. Her last air date as Cassie on GL was Nov. 3. Her first air date as Carly on GH was Nov. 4.

A few months ago, on the GH thread at that time, there was bit of a discussion about early JFP started trying to poach Laura Wright and how soon Wright made up her mind. Some were saying JFP first approached her 6 or 8 months in advance, Others were saying it was just like 6-8 weeks. Whichever it was, Wright didn't maker her decision until the very last minute if the casting director was left scrambling to cast a new actress as Cassie in just 8 days.

Incidentally, Nicole Forrester was an immediate recast. Her first air date as Cassie was Nov. 4, 2005.

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2020 9:02 AM

^^ that should read "about HOW early JFP tried to poach Laura Wright."

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2020 9:06 AM

ATWT should have cast anyone BUT big nosed Silbermann as Noah. He couldn’t act for shit. And that beak of his! Talk about homely.

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2020 9:46 AM

R41

It would be against union rules for JFP to approach anyone 6 months in advance. Union rules stipulate 3 months is the closest someone can be approached if they are under contract with another show.

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2020 10:06 AM

Nicole F wasn't super dreadful as Cassie because she was dreadful. The story happening at the time, and then the whole pushing Josh toward Cassie, would have been terrible anyway but Wright *might* have sold it. Forrester did not.

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2020 1:41 PM

[quote] ATWT should have cast anyone BUT big nosed Silbermann as Noah. He couldn’t act for shit. And that beak of his! Talk about homely.

Used to say that all the time and the Nukies would go...well, nuclear.

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2020 1:42 PM

Jake Silbermann was delightful. So handsome. I still watch anything I find him in. Wish I could have seen the play that featured his large dong.

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2020 1:46 PM

Silbermann was dreadful darling.

by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2020 2:12 PM

Chacun a son dong, r48.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2020 2:14 PM

If the dong were displayed on screen it would need to be a wideshot

by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2020 2:25 PM

[quote] Wright didn't maker her decision until the very last minute if the casting director was left scrambling to cast a new actress as Cassie in just 8 days.

Well it was an open secret backstage at Guiding Light because Laura Wright was asking everybody within earshot if she should go to General Hospital

That was revealed on an episode of the Locher Room as Nancy St. Alban (Michelle) talked about that with Laura Wright on the Locher Room.

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote] Incidentally, Nicole Forrester was an immediate recast.

In addition there was no shortage of experienced soap actresses willing to sign-up for the part. The reason they went with an unknown like Nicole Forrester, is the show was offering essential scale for the part - the bare minimum they would pay for a contract part.

Because of that, interest in the part waned and that is another reason why the show was scrambling to cast the part. The pay was so pitiful, only a newcomer would be interested in the role.

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2020 3:24 PM

I liked Jake Silberman as Noah. Thought he had good chemistry with Van Hansis. Thought he did very well in the role.

If anything was lacking, it was the writing for Luke and Noah. Beyond the initial Luke coming out storyline and meeting Noah, the storyline was lacking . Show was so busy playing it safe, that it really lacked any spark, any true creativity.

Its a testament to Jake and Van's talent they were able to keep the characters interesting and onscreen for four years with the nervousness the show felt about have an ongoing gay couple.

I know trashing Van's and Jake's acting is a popular sport on DL, but I liked them.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote]It would be against union rules for JFP to approach anyone 6 months in advance. Union rules stipulate 3 months is the closest someone can be approached if they are under contract with another show.

That was mentioned on the GH thread, but some of the posters refused to believe it. That's why the discussion about Laura Wright's casting went on for so long over there.

by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2020 3:46 PM

You know Miss Haznisssss sampled the Silbermann dongage at some point.

On screen it always looked like he wanted to sample daddy Holden's dong, too.

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote] It would be against union rules for JFP to approach anyone 6 months in advance. Union rules stipulate 3 months is the closest someone can be approached if they are under contract with another show.

While it is against union RULES, that doesn't mean there wasn't informal contact through back channels. Everyone doesn't always follow the rules, and it wouldn't surprise me if that cunt, JFP, is one of those type of people.

by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2020 5:06 PM

I always thought talk of the Silbermann dong was ridiculous but then I saw the cam video. Yeah, wow. How often has Van cum to that?

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2020 5:17 PM

So has Silbermann won any acting awards yet? lololol He was fucken hideous.

by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2020 5:21 PM

[quote] I always thought talk of the Silbermann dong was ridiculous but then I saw the cam video.

I missed that, is there a link on this?

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2020 7:18 PM

The dong in question

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 5, 2020 7:33 PM

The dong in question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 5, 2020 7:34 PM

Jake has great pubes, too. Never been topiaried.

by Anonymousreply 62September 5, 2020 7:35 PM

ok thanks for the link

I amazes me why so many actors would want to do this, jack-off and risk having the video be uploaded.

by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2020 7:48 PM

That’s a fake video, dumbasses!

by Anonymousreply 64September 5, 2020 8:01 PM

Come live in my toilet, r64, so you can eat all of the shit that comes out of my ass, nice and fresh and smelly. That's how much value your cuntribution makes today, particularly now that there's so little to be joyous over. I really, really, really hate you.

by Anonymousreply 65September 5, 2020 8:11 PM

R65 You’re so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2020 8:12 PM

And you're such a fucking asshole, r66. SUCH an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2020 8:15 PM

Someone, for some reason, has tried for years to insist that video is Jake.

Please take discussion as to whether it is, or is not Jake to another thread.

Do NOT ruin this thread, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2020 8:24 PM

One of our last threads mention Goutman and Marcia McCabe had split up.

I had no idea but indeed his Wikipedia shows that their marriage ended in 2016, though there did not appear to be any news story about it.

by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2020 8:29 PM

R65 runs a gay charm school in North Carolina!

by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2020 8:33 PM

Marcus Smythe (Peter Love) died of brain cancer August 20.

by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2020 11:19 PM

That video is not huge schnozola Silbermann. Don’t be so stupid people.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2020 11:34 PM

Marcus was the Peter who raped Brittany. I remember the camera panning down to his bare feets as he attacked her and...uggh. Pasty white feets.

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2020 11:54 PM

R72 again, please take any discussions about that to this other thread. Because it will go on forever, and it needs to not clog up this thread. TIA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote]here was no shortage of experienced soap actresses willing to sign-up for the part. The reason they went with an unknown like Nicole Forrester, is the show was offering essential scale for the part - the bare minimum they would pay for a contract part.

Who are some of the experienced actresses who in 2005 would have been both right for the part and available to play the part of a recast Cassie?

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2020 1:27 AM

R75 Cynthia Preston (General Hospital) was almost signed, the salary they were offering was so low, she turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2020 2:53 AM

Nicole Forrester had the charm of dry toast. WTH were they thinking when they cast her? And then even worse to keep her on in the role for 3 years. She had no chemistry with anyone. Worst replacement ever.

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2020 3:07 AM

R77 they had no money to hire anyone with experience

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2020 3:09 AM

You could tell Zimmer loathed Nicole F. She was polite but clearly there was no love lost between them.

GL was casting those really simpy women toward the end. Michelle Ray Smith was like Nicole's doppelganger with shorter hair.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2020 3:51 AM

I thought Nicole was fine

Did t she get a lead actress daytime Emmys nom?

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2020 10:05 AM

Nicole is fine, but she was definitely wrong for Cassie. She had no chemistry with Zimmer or Bradley Cole, and apparently was hired mostly for the planned Josh/Cassie pairing, since Newman was the only actor she had chemistry with.

And Josh/Cassie was a story that NO ONE wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2020 2:50 PM

She did receive an Emmy nomination.

Of course the problems with GL from 94 on was the uneven writing. It did have some great, compelling stories after that. I think the show was better In its last 14 years than a lot here do. It was the character assassinations, focus on too few characters, and unpopular stories with long time viewers like the mob and San Critobel- the last two, though, were very popular with newer viewers. I think some of the actors needed recast. Apparently it was good in 2006 since it won Best Show.

by Anonymousreply 82September 6, 2020 5:04 PM

The problem GL had from 1994 on is not that every story was terrible. It was, as R82 said, uneven.

They struggled to find stories that worked and then if it did work, they played it to death. Matt and Vanessa were a breath of fresh air.....until they played them to death and a lot of us got sick of the whole thing. (Vanessa faking her death didn't help.)

Same with Danny and Michelle, or Harley/Phillip, or Harley/Gus, or Jonathan/Tammy. If you liked them, you were in luck. If you didn't, too bad, because they were on 4-5 days a week.

This was a GL issue after the golden age ended in 1993, but it eventually became a problem at every show due to budget cuts and the Brian Frons "people only tune in to see the same 5 people" school of thought, which is why the poor GH fans have to see Laura Wright's snarl 10,000 times a week.

by Anonymousreply 83September 6, 2020 5:43 PM

So let's talk about that 2006 sweep at the Emmys. That was the industries way of keeping the show alive and supporting it right? I mean they were all good, but almost every category?

by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2020 6:01 PM

Was it 2006 or 2007?

They did have a good year, up to and including the 70th anniversary. But I think yes, it was a way to support it from the industry.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2020 6:05 PM

It was 2006. I looked it up. I thought they swept it. They only won 4 acting categories. I was under the impression that writing and Best show was also won. Still well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2020 6:10 PM

GL deserved all those wins in 2006.

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2020 9:22 PM

2003 -- GL won Daytime Emmy for Young Actor (Jordi Vilasuso).

2004 -- None

2005 -- None

2006 -- GL won for Actress (Kim Zimmer), Supporting Actor (Jordan Clarke), Supporting Actress (Gina Tognoni), Younger Actor (Tom Pelphrey).

2007 -- GL won for Best Show, Best Writing

2008 --GL won for Supporting Actress (Gina Tognoni), Younger Actor (Tom Pelphrey)

2009 -- GL won for Supporting Actor (Jeff Branson)

2010 -- None

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2020 9:39 PM

The Reardon Children - and the actors that played the parts

Sean Reardon - W.T. Martin

Dr. Jim Reardon - Michael Woods

Maureen Reardon - Ellen Dolan, then Ellen Parker

Tony Reardon - Greg Beecroft

Lana Reardon - never seen

Nola Reardon - Lisa Brown

Chelsea Reardon - Kassie DePavia

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2020 10:09 PM

WT Martin is a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2020 10:25 PM

I honestly don't remember ever seeing him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2020 10:30 PM

He was on the show for about two months in 1995. Dinah brings him to town to mess with Matt and he's basically after money, so he has some scenes with Vanessa where he tries to get Lewis Oil to invest in various plans of his. The storyline seemed to be abruptly dropped when Matt bought him a one-way bus ticket out of town and he was gone after that.

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2020 10:39 PM

was it Lana Reardon or Pat Reardon?

I remember when the left: Jimmy in early 1984; Jim and Tony shared a nice farewell; Tony and Annabelle left in the middle of a bash at the Blue Orchid later in 1985

Chelsea in late 1990 or early 1991; off to work with Jackson Freemont in England.

Nola and Quint in the spring of 1985; she came back in 1995 after leaving ATWT; stuck around for a few years, returned for finale; gave Company a fond look goodbye. Such a nice touch.

Maureen, they made her death so final in early 1993. Maureen never would have left Michelle, but it's too bad they didn't leave a door open. I know...I know, sometimes you have to really kill someone, but bringing her back as a ghost to interact with a Michelle she never was in scenes with missed the mark, for me.

No Reardons at Maureen's funeral was criminal; we saw the grave site! Were they standing next to the cameras?

Not sure if this came out in any Locher Rooms, but Ellen was fired to make room for another new actor/character Deas/Buzz.

But Maureen's death should have hastened the returns of Claire and Hope to help Ed through his grief and help raise Michelle.

I can't argue with Justin's multiple Emmys, but I didn't get giving so much of the show over to him; How'd a little guy like him father hunky Frank Dicopolous?

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote] No Reardons at Maureen's funeral was criminal

They were mentioned being off-camera - they decided to have their own reception away from the Bauers as the family blamed Ed for Maureen death

Even when Nola came back, the continued the story with Nola treating Ed horribly until they finally had it out

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2020 11:24 PM

If JFP had to force Marcy Walker on viewers, they should've cast her as Hope Bauer

Then she would be connected to a main family and they could reactivate the Hope/Alan romance

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote] Not sure if this came out in any Locher Rooms, but Ellen was fired to make room for another new actor/character Deas/Buzz.

This has been debated. I don't know if that's true.

However, TPTB had issues with Maureen for years. Parker (and Peter Simon) were great when given material, but that only happened occasionally. I remember reading an article on Ellen Dolan in either Digest or Weekly (and no, Source Queen, I don't have issues or page numbers) but she mentions that at some point someone approached her about returning to GL as Maureen while Parker was still playing the role. I want to say it was a CBS suit but not sure.

Point being, it was well before JFP and 1993 that either P&G or CBS felt the character was expendable or needed something different.

by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2020 11:33 PM

We still should have seen the Reardons at the gravesite; it's one thing to have your own reception. It's another to not go to the burial

Plus, if they really did blame Ed for Maureen's death, then, the show missed out on tons of drama; Ed going through all the angst and getting dirty looks from Tony and Bea and Chelsea?

Missed opportunity.

They could have had some of the Reardons back -- three out of six or seven remaining ones would have been nice.

Soaps used to bring people back for weddings and funerals; They can't afford them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2020 11:35 PM

R97 No one disagrees, we should have seen them all, but that was definitely when budgets started to get cut big time. If they killed Mo off for budgetary reasons they wouldn't spend some of that money to have returning actors for a week.

by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2020 11:38 PM

Just saw this when looking for Nola/Ed scenes from her 1995-97 return.

I think this guy (Derek?) was played by the actor who was one of the actors up for ATWT's Tom after Gregg Marx left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote] remember reading an article on Ellen Dolan in either Digest or Weekly (and no, Source Queen, I don't have issues or page numbers) but she mentions that at some point someone approached her about returning to GL as Maureen while Parker was still playing the role. I want to say it was a CBS suit but not sure.

That was Joe Willmore - he had been a producer during the Marland years and returned to GL as Executive Producer in 1987. The first thing he did was lure fan favorites back to the show - Chris Bernau, Grant Alexander and Peter Simon. Alexander and Simon replaced the actors that had replaced them when they first left

Since Willmore was on a hiring spree, he set his sights on Ellen Dolan who originated the role of Maureen. There was not too many places to conduct a meeting as Ellen Dolan and Ellen Parker lived on the same block in NYC!

But somehow Ellen Parker found out about the meeting and stormed into Willmore office to fight for her job. His complaint was that the character of Maureen was feisty enough. Parker countered there was only so much you could do to make the character feisty, if it is not on the page. Plus she could play the part anyway they wanted the character presented.

So they had a good meeting and by end of it, Willmore kept Parker on. But there was a rumor that Parker and Dolan had an unpleasant encounter afterwards when the two ran into each other (living in the same neighborhood)

All Dolan would say is that she had an "unpleasant" encounter with one of the actresses who took over her part. Well it could be either Ellen Parker or Glynnis O'Connor

by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote] Ed going through all the angst and getting dirty looks from Tony and Bea and Chelsea?

Well they picked up, where they left off when Nola returned in 1995

by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] If they killed Mo off for budgetary reasons they wouldn't spend some of that money to have returning actors for a week.

She was not killed off for budgetary reasons. It was for story - when they killed Maureen off, it spun almost all the characters into new stories

Patrick Mulcahey is one of the few Guiding Light writer who defended the killing off of Maureen, saying it gave the show 2 years of good story - and it all started with Maureen death

Plus it was Maureen death that won Guiding Light the Best Writing Award at the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2020 11:46 PM

R98, in 1993, pre-OJ, soaps still had decent ratings and budgets. They could have taken the entire day player budget for all of January and February and paid Lee Lawson, Greg Beecroft and Kassie DePaiva a decent amount to come back for two episodes. P&G could have said, 'we're going to loan out Lisa Brown for a day.' Sure, unorthodox at the time, but do-able.

Kassie didn't join OLTL until December of 1993 so, there was plenty of time.

Today, soaps have no money, but Y&R invited back Robert Parucha, Meg Bennett, and Robert Adamson and Eileen for Victor's big 50th party for Newman earlier this year.

It all goes back to they wanted Ellen's money for Justin, but it was glaring that Claire didn't come back right away; when Susan Pratt did return in 1999 they wrote some lame backstory where Claire said oh, I came back but your father turned me away.

No. No, that never happened. And it was only about six years earlier. Soap fans have longer memories than that, but the writers at the time were going off old summaries. They didn't know GL.

Look at when David Stewart dieCd on ATWT in 1991. We got the returns of Annie, Dee, Dani, Emily, Rod, Meg, and a fake Betsy. Ellen got a telegraph from Lord Markium Stewart Cushing (or whatever his name was) saying he and Marcy couldn't come b/c she was pregnant.

Doug rarely left a stone unturned.

It's the writing.

Maureen died so Jill could give her SB pal Deas a job. That's fine. EVERYONE in show biz does that. Sometimes the results are worth it. Sometimes not. I'm not saying I wouldn't have killed Maureen, but I would have taken the story organically forward and brought on Claire and Hope (to fill that matriarch role -- and make it Elvera, not Mattson playing a Gina Capwell version of Hope)

by Anonymousreply 103September 7, 2020 12:02 AM

R103 read R102

Maureen WAS NOT killed off for Justin Deas salary

You forget Beverlee McKinsey had just quit, she they had plenty of money to pay Deas.

by Anonymousreply 104September 7, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote] I think this guy (Derek?) was played by the actor who was one of the actors up for ATWT's Tom after Gregg Marx left.

That's Harley Venton. I had a big crush on him, but they never really found a place for him.

by Anonymousreply 105September 7, 2020 12:17 AM

I still don’t get why Bev left. She had 3 straight years of bad ass story.

by Anonymousreply 106September 7, 2020 12:18 AM

It was between Harley Venton and Bruce WIllis for the male lead on Moonlighting

They still have Harley Venton Moonlighting audition online (see below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 7, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote] I still don’t get why Bev left. She had 3 straight years of bad ass story.

You just answered your own question - she worked non-stop almost 4 days a week for 3 years. She was exhausted, and she just didn't want to act anymore.

by Anonymousreply 108September 7, 2020 12:20 AM

This is off topic, but I first remember watching Guiding Light when Bea Reardon was having trouble with the neighbors of the boarding house. Dark Shadows was airing right after it (NOT first run. I'm not quite that old.) I thought Dark Shadows was somehow a part of the Guiding Light universe and Barnabas Collins was Bea's terrible neighbors. I was not a smart kid.

by Anonymousreply 109September 7, 2020 12:36 AM

Anyone who thinks that Maureen was killed off to bring Justin Deas on is an idiot! Come on. Do you really think that Ellen Parker made a salary that by eliminating her, GL could now afford Justin Deas???? It was a focus group that determined Maureen’s fate. A focus group that I agree with to this day. Maureen was so fucking boring!!!!! Ellen Parker did great work with her exit storyline and deserved that Emmy, but I never missed Maureen. She was a snooze.

by Anonymousreply 110September 7, 2020 12:58 AM

R108 Oh poor Bev. Working 4 days a week for 3 years. Imagine what us folk who work 5 days a week for decades have to endure. Bev came across as an entitled cunt and you just confirmed it. Working 4 days a week for 3 years.......the poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 111September 7, 2020 1:05 AM

R111 you try memorizing 4 scripts the weight of a phone book every week.

by Anonymousreply 112September 7, 2020 1:07 AM

Something more pissed Bev off.

Maureen was a snooze until they killed her. Then, it was clear they didn’t give Ellen Parker the material she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 113September 7, 2020 2:12 AM

Every so often we get ignorant comments (like the one at R111) about the hours worked, clearly showing that many posters have no clue what hours it takes to film an episode of a soap. (Hint: it takes more than 60 minutes to film an hour show)

Let me share the same link I did the LAST time we had this discussion.....see Susan Flannery's comments near the bottom. They had shooting days that could easily go 16-18 hours a day. It took until several years after Bev left for them to enact the penalty mentioned in that article.

With the brief exception of the time between Texas and GL, Bev was on two shows taping those long hours for over 20 years. That probably took its toll on her. She was not happy with the sharp turn towards a more villainous Alex, either. And she was likely at the beginning of the health problems that eventually resulted in a need for a kidney transplant. She was a few years away from 60 and could do it, and she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 7, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote] Something more pissed Bev off.

In her exit interview with TV Guide, Bev said she was tired and just wanted to quit acting.

by Anonymousreply 115September 7, 2020 2:24 AM

I find it hard to believe she was upset over Alex’s more villainous turns which I didn’t think was all that villainous.

by Anonymousreply 116September 7, 2020 2:56 AM

Alex had her bad moments before but she was becoming obsessed with destroying Mindy in the story, in a way that did get a little weird.

by Anonymousreply 117September 7, 2020 3:03 AM

I thought it made for good story. They could have easily explained why Alex went a bit off the deep end over Mindy. It’s a soap. Those villainous scenes are GL legend.

by Anonymousreply 118September 7, 2020 3:15 AM

Alex allowed herself to open up and fall for Roger, but then has an affair with Minday.

Alex then discovers she has a son she never knew about and he ends up falling for Mindy, thus posing as a roadblock to her relationship with Nick.

Of course she would see Mindy as the problem. .

by Anonymousreply 119September 7, 2020 3:19 AM

you guys keep forgetting that Mindy was screwing with Lujack's twin, and that caused Alex to go off the deep end.

by Anonymousreply 120September 7, 2020 3:26 AM

R120 That made for great drama. Add Beth to the mix and it would have been epic.

by Anonymousreply 121September 7, 2020 3:55 AM

Were Boarding Houses still a thing in 1980?

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2020 5:36 AM

R112 Cunty Bev CHOSE to act on a soap. She knew what she was getting into. No sympathy for her here. The poor dear. Having to work 4 days a week at times. My heart bleeds just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 123September 7, 2020 11:16 AM

Aaand blocked.

by Anonymousreply 124September 7, 2020 11:22 AM

Remember when they tried to pair Bea Reardon with that flaming Henry Chamberlin? Henry was so gay.

by Anonymousreply 125September 7, 2020 11:23 AM

R123, you don’t realize the long hours, particularly in this days when budgets were less of an issue. A major player could be there from 7 in the morning until well into the evening and arrive home in time to grab a few hours sleep and turn around again.

And she would have had huge amounts of material to learn. I worked in that world (briefly) and it can be more grueling than you’d expect. On her days “off” I can assure you she was learning lines.

by Anonymousreply 126September 7, 2020 11:28 AM

Remember when someone cared about R123 or R125's posts?

Me neither.

by Anonymousreply 127September 7, 2020 11:29 AM

R126 Don't waste your breath. That particular poster is a shit stirring troll and always calls that particular actress a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 128September 7, 2020 11:29 AM

So Bev chose to become an actress and didn’t know that she’d have to learn lines? Is that what you’re saying. SMH.

by Anonymousreply 129September 7, 2020 12:40 PM

[quote] So Bev chose to become an actress and didn’t know that she’d have to learn lines? Is that what you’re saying.

P&G Soaps used to have cue cards - but when Vicky Wyndham was elevated as the top dog on AW, she used her influence to get them banned on Another World. Afterwards all P&G soaps followed suit. Wyndham got some heat from her fellow actors, but she didn't care saying

"We are actors, not readers" - and getting rid of the cue cards made for a better show.

by Anonymousreply 130September 7, 2020 1:37 PM

Good for Vicky! Don’t become an actor if you don’t want to learn lines. Don’t take a job on a soap if you don’t want to learn a new script everyday. These people were paid WELL to learn lines. You never heard the pros like Sleestack complain.

by Anonymousreply 131September 7, 2020 2:08 PM

McCunty complaining is ridiculous. Its not like she hadn’t done a soap before. She even had top billing on Texas, starring Beverly McCunty! She knew was she was getting into on GL and those defending the beyyatch having to work 4 days a week for 3 years...........and getting paid alot of money for doing so. Still no sympathy for the poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 132September 7, 2020 2:14 PM

You can see on early episodes of The Doctors that Liz Hubbard turned reading cue cards into an art form. It's no doubt where her gift for improv came from.

by Anonymousreply 133September 7, 2020 2:28 PM

On more than one occasion Bev used all of the toilet paper in the studio and clogged all of the toilets! But I said save your piss so I can put it on my face! Beauty secret #1!

by Anonymousreply 134September 7, 2020 3:23 PM

R111

Bev's exhaustion wasn't just from a heavy work load. She was already having kidney issues & kidney issues exacerbate exhaustion.

by Anonymousreply 135September 7, 2020 3:27 PM

Bye Bev. Don’t miss ya!

by Anonymousreply 136September 7, 2020 4:22 PM

I want Jim Reardon deeply in me while I eat the first Mallet's hole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 7, 2020 4:47 PM

Do you think Bea Reardon strapped it on when she fucked Henry or did she just finger fuck him?

by Anonymousreply 138September 7, 2020 4:48 PM

The funniest interview ever was in OUT Magazine. Miss Van Hansis claimed to be straight!!! LOL Absolutelyeveryone knew that Miss Hansis is a fag. Everyone knew it. Everyone!

by Anonymousreply 139September 8, 2020 3:59 AM

Anyway......as I was saying.....

by Anonymousreply 140September 8, 2020 1:02 PM

I love jacking it to Van after Chan!

by Anonymousreply 141September 8, 2020 2:10 PM

remember that SON poster who posted a link to his chaturbate? lol weirdo

by Anonymousreply 142September 8, 2020 2:11 PM

Soapsuds is old enough to be Chan’s grandfather. Gross!!!!

by Anonymousreply 143September 8, 2020 2:12 PM

New topic!

Why did Jane Elliot get fired from Guiding Light in 1982. All I’ve ever heard about this is he fired her and Marland quit in protest-but why did he can her? Was it the story? Was it the budget? Was she difficult? Etc.

by Anonymousreply 144September 8, 2020 2:29 PM

He - referring to Allen Potter

by Anonymousreply 145September 8, 2020 2:46 PM

I think Potter just didn’t like the storyline. It was getting a tad convoluted, anyway, as good as Elliot was.

by Anonymousreply 146September 8, 2020 2:53 PM

To say that Elliot was difficult is an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 147September 8, 2020 3:04 PM

Marland and Potter didn't ever see eye to eye and the Carrie storyline getting axed was the last straw - Marland flounced.

I've read comments about Potter from other various producing stints of his and none of them are flattering. Some producers can be tough but some actors will like them and some not (example Paul Rauch). Potter was unanimously loathed.

by Anonymousreply 148September 8, 2020 3:52 PM

Potter wouldn’t suck Marland’s toes - but I did!

by Anonymousreply 149September 8, 2020 4:00 PM

Marland definitely had a better match at ATWT with Calhoun. Having two gay men made it one of the best shows and certainly one of the gayest!

It de-gayed a bit after Laurie Caso took over, but Marland still had relatively free reign until his death. The only pushback he got was on budget. He would have written for 50 characters if he had the budget for it!

by Anonymousreply 150September 8, 2020 4:09 PM

No one ever talks about my fabulousness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 9, 2020 2:40 AM

Elliott quit because Charita Bauer left a huge dump in Elliott’s dressing room bathroom and didn’t flush and she was was known to do. Charita would go to Taco Bell on W 57th Order the large Chalupa for lunch and there was hell to pay the rest of the day.

by Anonymousreply 152September 9, 2020 3:05 AM

We really need to find R152 a reliable therapist. Her bipolar issues are terribly unmanaged.

by Anonymousreply 153September 9, 2020 3:30 AM

Jane Elliot said she took a pay cut to move cross country and leave General Hospital to go to Guiding Light. When her cycle on GL came up for renewal she didn't ask for a raise. She only asked to maintain the same pay as the previous year

They said NO and fired her

by Anonymousreply 154September 9, 2020 3:40 AM

Elliot on Carrie:

Q: Then there’s Carrie Todd on Guiding Light, which a lot of us old-timers feel was your absolute best work. A: And I agree. The most was asked of me when I was doing that role.

Q: Because she was a split personality? A: Because there were so many words on the page! [Head writer] Doug Marland used to say that I ended up only saying half his dialogue and he didn’t care. I just cut and cut and cut. He loved words so much and he was so good with them, but oftentimes he didn’t leave you enough time to act, so I had to trim. One day, I performed for 70 pages, with my character both in the present and in flashbacks and she also narrated the flashbacks, and part of it was in the rain and freezing cold. I could not have done it without Jerry verDorn [Ross]. He is one of my all-time favorite acting partners, and the most generous actor I have ever worked with. He is a marvel of selflessness, a man with a wonderful work ethic who is absolutely content to support you in every way. I felt so safe with him. Those were very great times for Guiding Light. Oh, my God, Lisa Brown! The character of Nola! Divine, divine, divine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 9, 2020 3:45 AM

R150 it could be a bit much sometimes IMO. Some characters were so pointless. Obviously the man was a genius, but I think he needed someone to rein him in.

by Anonymousreply 156September 9, 2020 4:56 AM

R12 really? IIRC, ATWT showed Mark Collier’s goods around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 157September 9, 2020 5:02 AM

Mark Collier should have topped Marty West on screen.

THAT woulda been a crossover for the ages

by Anonymousreply 158September 9, 2020 1:25 PM

Marty would swallow Mark’s cum. I know I would.

by Anonymousreply 159September 9, 2020 3:39 PM

Mmm.....Mark's big, veiny, swollen cock.

by Anonymousreply 160September 9, 2020 3:40 PM

According to IMDB, Marty and Matt Bomer both appeared on GL for only the month of June 2003. Matt's last episode was July 1, 2003, and Marty's first was May 26, 2003. They are both listed in that May 26 episode. Pairing those two up would have gotten me back to watching the show. I did catch a few episodes with Marty, not so many with Matt. I must have read about Marty's gayness somewhere.

Did Shayne and Ben's paths ever cross, storywise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 9, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote] Some characters were so pointless. Obviously the man was a genius, but I think he needed someone to rein him in.

I liked a lot of his characters that were short term or would show up to support the story, but yes, he did need a bit of reining in.

by Anonymousreply 162September 9, 2020 5:06 PM

R161 IMDb episode counts aren't always entirely accurate (all-inclusive) especially for older listings like daytime soaps. .. West's first episode was actually February 14, 2003, and Bomer's last episode was July 31, 2003, so there ware almost six months of crossover.

And yes, Ben and Shayne's paths crossed during Ben's final chapter. When Ben kidnapped Marina, Shayne tried to rescue her - with him and Ben actually having a "physical" confrontation. .. I suppose our boys could have spent time rehearsing this scene alone in a dressing room just to get those moves down right .. lol!

Clip from the July 30, 2003 episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 9, 2020 7:54 PM

God, Marty West couldn’t act for shit. But he could have sat on my face any day.

by Anonymousreply 164September 9, 2020 8:41 PM

He sho was pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 9, 2020 9:15 PM

I believe Marty's still trying to run a casting biz out of his home in the Hollywood area for reality-competition type shows. "West Casting". Scads more tattoos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 9, 2020 10:13 PM

Andrew Kavovit, Melanie Smith and Ming Na on an upcoming Locher Room

by Anonymousreply 167September 9, 2020 10:18 PM

I remember Ming Na, on some Sarurday morning local cable show, making digs at Kavovit’s pasty white body in the country club scenes.

by Anonymousreply 168September 9, 2020 11:21 PM

Should anyone care about any of these people? Kavovit is gross. Soapsuds will be whacking off for hours.

by Anonymousreply 169September 9, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote]Andrew Kavovit, Melanie Smith and Ming Na on an upcoming Locher Room

And no Scotty D?

by Anonymousreply 170September 10, 2020 12:00 AM

Back when we were swooning over Danny Markel as James' new son, we used to refer to Kavovit as "Barbara's pasty-faced boy" in AOL chatrooms.

by Anonymousreply 171September 10, 2020 12:01 AM

I know that Miss Locher wouldn’t do it but get Marcia McCabe. Cum on! She gave blowjobs to Chris Goutman for 40 years. Get the dirt, Alan.

by Anonymousreply 172September 10, 2020 12:07 AM

Let’s have Chris and Marcia together with special guest Martha Byrne and Eileen Fulton!

by Anonymousreply 173September 10, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote] I know that Miss Locher wouldn’t do it but get Marcia McCabe.

He is working on a Search for Tomorrow reunion, and you can bet Marcia will be on the show

by Anonymousreply 174September 10, 2020 12:46 AM

Will Alan ask them if they remember their first day?

by Anonymousreply 175September 10, 2020 12:59 AM

R174 Sources please! LOL

by Anonymousreply 176September 10, 2020 2:11 AM

I thought Kavovit was fuckable in his ATWT days.

by Anonymousreply 177September 10, 2020 6:30 AM

R163 that makes me so angry. Ellen Weston ruined everything. I hated when they made Ben crazy. But Bomer went on to bigger and better things after.

by Anonymousreply 178September 10, 2020 6:33 AM

Kavovit did indeed have the pasty skin. Will he talk to Miss Lockerroom about miss Zenk Pinter and her drinking?

by Anonymousreply 179September 10, 2020 10:09 AM

Bomer was so hot on GL. The possibilities were endless.

by Anonymousreply 180September 10, 2020 11:40 AM

R180 he was. I remember enjoying the scene of him making out with Marina in his tightly whities.

by Anonymousreply 181September 10, 2020 12:42 PM

Grownup Ben was such an underused character when he was there. He should have been more involved with the tapestry of the town.

by Anonymousreply 182September 10, 2020 2:33 PM

I want a show with Felicia Minei Behr and Liz Hubbard! Go!

by Anonymousreply 183September 10, 2020 2:51 PM

Maybe Shayne and Ben shoulda been making out in their tighty whities.

by Anonymousreply 184September 10, 2020 3:23 PM

Ellen Weston’s story’s were dreadful but Conboy did make the show look pretty. The production values were terrific.

by Anonymousreply 185September 10, 2020 5:51 PM

Come sample my debut on television’s number one daytime drama, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. I will be playing Genoa City’s grande dame Katherine Shepherd Reynolds Chancellor Thurston Sterling Murphy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 10, 2020 8:46 PM

They'll never dong like Grant dongs.

by Anonymousreply 187September 10, 2020 8:51 PM

Did Conboy sniff Marty West’s cum stained undies?

by Anonymousreply 188September 10, 2020 9:09 PM

*SLAP*

by Anonymousreply 189September 10, 2020 9:57 PM

Andrew Kavovit love interest on ATWT in 1990 was played by Amy Ryan

She became an Oscar nominee in "Gone Baby Gone" and was a regular on "the Office"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 10, 2020 10:10 PM

So much to comment on here.

They ruined Ben. They made a find in Matt Bomer. Imagine if they had brought back Larkin Malloy as Kyle and Meg Mundy as Julia Stoddard. Mundy lived until 2016 so it's feasible she could have worked some back in the early 2000s. or whenever Bomer was around.

I wouldn't have put it past Kyle to masterminded Maeve's death; after all, she took Ben from him for a while; then he made sure she was separated from Ben; maybe something less nefarious but anything to get Dennison back on screen.

If the plan to kill Maureen was just to kill Maureen and create story, then GL dropped the ball. It would have made sense for Claire to come back immediately and want to be there with Michelle; instant contact with Ed. Also, if Fletcher went on to father Meg, well, clearly the vasectomy didn't take; maybe he WAS Michelle's dad. Imagine Ed losing both his wife and his daughter?

All soaps need a kind matriarch; heck, kids watch soaps to find those caring substitutes they don't have in real life. We never got a matriarch to replace Maureen. I suppose some will say Meta, but, to me, Meta was always Jo from Search doing a guest spot using a second name. It would have made more sense to bring Elvera Roussel back as Hope. She was also Alan's moral compass.

I don't deny Deas' appeal or his talent or his six Emmys, but ... he really took over the show in many respects. I could have done without his hammy performances as Buzz was just constantly amazed in the Al Pacino HOOO YAAAAHH way.

McKinsey had a photographic memory; she probably left mostly for health reasons. And I agree, adding Beth back into that dynamic with Mindy and Nick would have been brilliant. Grant needed a break due to HIS heavy workload and the death of his parents (so sad); he returned to soaps in 1993 to play scumbucket/anti-hero Alec McIntyre. He was great in that role. On Hayley and Alec's wedding night, his mother in law Arlene blackmails him into having sex; she throws herself into him and he looks at his watch and rolls his eyes as if to say dammit, do I even have time to screw her and get back to my bride before she gets suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 191September 10, 2020 11:58 PM

Kavovit was endearingly called 'Casper' he was so pale.

that mullet was such a sign of the times.

by Anonymousreply 192September 11, 2020 12:16 AM

We called him Casper on the AOL soap groups/boards/chats.

(I was more of an AOL'er than a RATSCer in the early days - didn't know about RATSC until well after its heyday)

by Anonymousreply 193September 11, 2020 12:32 AM

a rare Bea Reardon / India Von Halkein exchange at Kurt and Mindy's engagement party at Company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 11, 2020 5:40 AM

that was the party where Beth tells India about Company: this is where Phillip, Rick, Mindy and I did our growing up.

India: "Maybe I should come back when the process is complete."

by Anonymousreply 195September 11, 2020 5:43 AM

Is anyone watching Y&R? It's hilarious-ish watching Sharon sitting so close to Adam (on his no-tell motel bed, of all places), whereas Rey stayed completely across the room from her at a moment when she had just realized her cancer had come back.

O, Pandemica, Queen of Irony.

by Anonymousreply 196September 11, 2020 7:00 AM

Aandy Kavovit—so overrated as an actor. Queens were clamoring for him to replace Howarth during the 2000s. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 197September 11, 2020 9:32 AM

Has Mr. Pasty done any acting since WT? Definitely over rated. Didn’t he win an Emmy when only 2 people were in the category? He had a 50-50 shot.

by Anonymousreply 198September 11, 2020 9:36 AM

I don't care how pasty Andrew Kavovit was, I thought he was so hot on ATWT.

I would have loved to have been the meat in an Andrew/Scott sandwich. Andrew would obviously be the bottom and Scott the top...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 11, 2020 10:50 AM

R190 I’ve never heard of that person.

by Anonymousreply 200September 11, 2020 11:36 AM

Here is Amy Ryan as Holly on The Office. Go to 7:17 if it doesnt automatically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201September 11, 2020 11:49 AM

I just finished watching the Simon family interview with Alan Locher. It was terrific. I don't know why I always got the impression Peter Simon was uptight but he was delightful.

by Anonymousreply 202September 11, 2020 12:21 PM

Andrew's Paul Ryan would have been the friend who would beat off with me or exchange BJs in the basement when our parents weren't around.

Scotty's Andy Dixon would have been the campus stud that would totally take my cherry with his big fat cock.

by Anonymousreply 203September 11, 2020 1:03 PM

Except both Kavovit and DeFreitas are STRAIGHT. These fat old fraus who think that everyone is gay. Reality check. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 204September 11, 2020 1:45 PM

Anyway.....as I was saying......

by Anonymousreply 205September 11, 2020 1:57 PM

Oh, old Lucy better not miss r203.

by Anonymousreply 206September 11, 2020 2:45 PM

From the Syracuse Post-Standard, November 2, 1982:

Writer's Love Affair with 'Light" is Over by Gary Deeb

Eight years ago, Douglas Marland gave up a moderately successful career as a television and stage actor and decided to write soap operas.

Having performed on a few soaps, he was generally unimpressed with the quality of the scripts he had seen. He was pretty sure that he could do better.

And so, after attending a soap-writing seminar sponsored by Procter & Gamble, which owns many daytime dramas, Marland got hired as a writer on ANOTHER WORLD.

He became head writer of THE DOCTORS, and GENERAL HOSPITAL (where he created the fabled Luke and Laura characters) and 2 1/2 years ago, of the GUIDING LIGHT.

Marland achieved his greatest success on the GUIDING LIGHT helping transform the video fossil into one of the liveliest, most imaginatively-written programs ever to hit daytime TV.

During his reign as head writer, the GUIDING LIGHT captured many awards - including two Emmys to Marland for his outstanding stories - and jumped back near the top rank of the daytime audience ratings.

An admittedly hopeless romantic, Marland often compared his work on the GUIDING LIGHT to a passionate love affair. He brought to the program his sense of style, charm and grace, while reinforcing the presence of discarded mainstays.

But in the classic soap opera tradition that he knows so well, Marland's love affair is over.

The last GUIDING LIGHT installment supervised by him was aired a month ago, and a new head writer, Pat Falken Smith, is at the helm.

"Sometimes something happens and you just fall out of love with a show," Marland told this column at his Connecticut home.

"That sounds corny and melodramatic - maybe like what someone would expect from a soap opera writer - but it's the truth. Because in daytime TV, you're working seven days a week, and if you really don't love what you're doing, you can't do it' it isn't fair to the show."

Surprisingly, Marland's falling-out with the producers of the GUIDING LIGHT and with sponsor, Procter & Gamble, had nothing to do with the usual writers' complaints about interference with the creative aspects of the program.

Beginning in January 1980, when he started as head writer, Marland says he was given a free hand to mold plots and characters as he saw fit.

The only problem was the "creative lethargy" of executive producer Allen Potter and his lieutenants.

As far as Marland was concerned, the last straw came with the firing of actress Jane Elliot, who played the Marland-created character of Carrie Marler.

Marland bitterly opposed the elimination of the Carrie role, for which he had just completed another year's worth of storyline.

What troubled Marland most deeply about the dumping of Elliot was that Potter had told him (and Elliot) that the decision had been dictated by Procter & Gamble for "budgetary reasons," and that the money problem was the sole reason that her contract wasn't renewed.

Weeks later, however, Marland said he learned the truth - that Potter pulled the plus on Elliot "because he said he found her to be a 'difficult actress' in the studio."

Once Marland reached his decision to quit the GUIDING LIGHT, he recommended Falken Smith as his replacement.

Although he isn't that well acquainted with her, Marland was familiar with her work as a writer for GENERAL HOSPITAL and more recently, for DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

Falken Smith's public feud with GENERAL HOSPITAL producer Gloria Monty was even more bitter than Marland's 1979 dismissal from "GH" by Monty.

"I knew Pat had suffered through many of the same things I did at the hands of Gloria Monty - and I wish you'd quote me on that," Marland said.

Marland's created a soap opera, NEW DAY IN EDEN, that'll premiere this month on cable and pay-TV systems across the country.

His agent is entertaining offers from several network soaps, and Marland expects to announce his next writing post very soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 12, 2020 6:41 AM

R207 Thanks for that. Ms. Elliot is not a nice person. The GL folks were THRILLED when she was fired.

by Anonymousreply 208September 12, 2020 8:20 AM

And Falken Smith was fired after three months.

by Anonymousreply 209September 12, 2020 2:21 PM

Falken Smith was a smidge before I started really watching every day, but I seem to remember that she really immediately shook things up - Company emerged from, was it a tractor trailer running into the boarding house?

by Anonymousreply 210September 12, 2020 3:10 PM

Andrew Kavovit has pretty much retired from acting to be an entrepreneur

Scott DeFrietas said on a previous Locher Room - Kavovit was always working on inventions during the down time on the set of "World Turns"

by Anonymousreply 211September 12, 2020 3:16 PM

Kavovit was an odd looking younger man but he's become more handsome as a grownup.

(Of course DeFrietas gets hotter all the time)

by Anonymousreply 212September 12, 2020 3:21 PM

R210, you recall correctly; I remember a scene in which Ross informed Bea that she legally owned the home as it was on her property and the people who were having it toed no longer wanted it probably because of the expense or something.

Pat Falken's creations had STAYING power. She created the Cassadines, the DiMeras, Kelly's Diner, Company, and the Brady Fish Mart (Market?) which became the Brady Pub under Reilly.

by Anonymousreply 213September 12, 2020 5:19 PM

Falken Smith wrote those endless weeks of Amanda and Mark being stranded on a tanker in a storm off the coast of Venezuela.

by Anonymousreply 214September 12, 2020 7:16 PM

Pat and later, L. Virginia Browne inherited the Mona Cartwright mess.

I never thought I'd like GL again after Doug left. And then Pam Long and Richard Culliton and Jeff Ryder came along.

The Reardons were phased out. Vanessa was 'diffused' for a while. No more Stapleton sisters. Holly and Roger gone. No more Morgan and Kelly.

But instead we got Alexandra India, the four Muskateers, Fletcher, Harley, Sonni and her twin, an expanded Lewis clan and the Shaynes, Reva Shayne. And Holly and Roger came back.

Change isn't always bad.

by Anonymousreply 215September 12, 2020 7:22 PM

R208 when you say the GL Folks were thrilled she was fired. What folks? Cast, crew?

by Anonymousreply 216September 12, 2020 7:41 PM

Elliot has been loved at every other show, so I'm not buying the diva BS.

If anything, she had a conflict with Potter. Potter was an asshole and could be cruel and Jane would not have put up with that in any way, shape or form.

by Anonymousreply 217September 12, 2020 8:12 PM

I hate fucking writers with names like L. Virginia Brown.

What an ASSHOLE.

by Anonymousreply 218September 12, 2020 8:33 PM

My, R218, that is....specific

by Anonymousreply 219September 12, 2020 8:42 PM

I can sympathize, R218.

by Anonymousreply 220September 12, 2020 8:45 PM

Virginia Browne introduced Sandy, brought Steve Frame back from the dead and sent Cecile down the villainess path. She seems like she did better than her successor, Corinne Jacker, who wrote off all of the Matthews Family except Liz and Sally. What is your assessment of her writing?

I think the best period between Harding Lemay’s two stints was the period when Richard Culliton wrote the show.

by Anonymousreply 221September 12, 2020 10:12 PM

Culliton wrote the Sally storyline with the kid she gave up for adoption, right?

by Anonymousreply 222September 12, 2020 10:26 PM

R218, tell me more. I need to create a new character.

by Anonymousreply 223September 12, 2020 10:55 PM

Harding- (Aren't you dead yet? Am I speaking to an angel?)

Any way, Hardy L, Anyone who has a name like L. Virginia Brown is a CUNT!'

And I am guessing, an overrated CUNT! Despite what any of these 88 year old Proctor and Gamble fans say IN THIS THREAD!

As I am young enough to understand GOOGLE, let me google this elitist FRAU writer with her melodramatic name, with the L.

Mr Lemay, I will let you know my thoughts on the bitch.

She sounds like an overrated SOW. L. Vagina Brown. Who the FUCK does she think she is? L.?? L.. So and So? Hate her.

by Anonymousreply 224September 12, 2020 11:11 PM

[quote] Harding Lemay dead

He's fine! He sends his love!

He and Paul Rauch are producing a new show - starring Beverlee McKinsey!

by Anonymousreply 225September 12, 2020 11:14 PM

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???!!!!!!!!

This L. Vagina Brown Eye is a goddamned 80's HAS BEEN! She is a vacuum! (Check out her credits! "Sioux City!"- Yeah, that's a classic, L. Vagina!!!

With that NAME I figured she was born in 1919 to ROYALTY! This bitch is neither alive OR dead!

And she was some 1980's creation! She's an enigma! And she's neither alive OR dead!

P&G fraus, get to work!

Where is our sweet L Vagina?

by Anonymousreply 226September 12, 2020 11:23 PM

Sorry, do-do birds

Here are your queens credits!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 12, 2020 11:24 PM

L. Virginia Browne does deserve credit for adding Black characters to Another World

but she also tried to reactivate the Rachel/Steve/Alice triangle, which was a failure

by Anonymousreply 228September 12, 2020 11:27 PM

R228- WHO IS THIS HAG???

Where did she go?

by Anonymousreply 229September 12, 2020 11:34 PM

L. Virginia Browne only successful story was the introduction of Mitch Blake

by Anonymousreply 230September 12, 2020 11:36 PM

THANK YOU R230!!!!!

That's about right for a bitch who barely exists!

L Virgina- I call upon thee now!

I invoke L Virgina!!!!!

Where you at, BITCH!??

It says you ain't old!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 231September 12, 2020 11:39 PM

[quote] Where you at, BITCH!??

She is six feet under

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 12, 2020 11:44 PM

BYE GURL

by Anonymousreply 233September 12, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] Pat Falken's creations had STAYING power.

Dave's Deli vanished when Pat Falken Smith left Ryan's Hope

by Anonymousreply 234September 12, 2020 11:49 PM

SHIT!!!! Holy FUCK, she was a almost a decade younger than me when she wrote AW!!!!!!!!

L Vagina. 68! That's YOUNG girl. Who were you??? I wonder if she had children! Shit.

by Anonymousreply 235September 12, 2020 11:50 PM

bwah

by Anonymousreply 236September 12, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]L. Virginia Browne does deserve credit for adding Black characters to Another World but she also tried to reactivate the Rachel/Steve/Alice triangle, which was a failure

She set up the relaunched Steve/Alice/Rachel traingle, adding Mac into the mix to make it a quadrange, fairly well. Lots of potential in there. However, her successor, Corine Jacker, did not know what to do with it and dropped the ball, focusing on only Rachel and Steve, ignoring the Mac and Alice part of the quadrangle. .

[quote]L. Virginia Browne only successful story was the introduction of Mitch Blake

She didn't introduce Mitch Blake. He was a creation of Tom King, first brought onto the show in fall 1979 as part of the Janice Frame poisoning Mac storyline that culminated in St. Croix. However. she did bring Mitch back later after Rachel was jailed for killing him.

by Anonymousreply 237September 13, 2020 1:26 AM

The problem with the Rachel/Steve/Mac/Alice quadrangle is that they could never find the right Alice to hold her own with those powerhouses.

by Anonymousreply 238September 13, 2020 4:10 AM

As a young gayling, I raced home off the bus to catch the opening of GL. That was the Quentin, Nola. India and Vanessa. I was mesmerized. I never cared much for the poor people at the Boarding House. I like the rich people the most. A boarding house? So odd.

by Anonymousreply 239September 13, 2020 4:16 AM

We have Miss India von Halkein at R239 here, who does not wish to be bothered with The Poors and Low Born Gutter Sluts!

by Anonymousreply 240September 13, 2020 4:32 AM

R240 Exactly. Who wants to see the goings on at some boarding house with all those blue collars drifting through. Focus on the Spaulding Mansion or Quentin's Manor. I prefer fancy things.

IvH

by Anonymousreply 241September 13, 2020 6:07 AM

I would have loved to have lived at the boarding house!

Bea would knock on my door. "Oh, honey, I'm sorry...my son Jimmy's coming home. And he doesn't have a room."

"Oh, you mean...I have to leave?"

Bea: "Well, would you mind sharing your room with him? You two can sleep head to toe. Of course, your rent would change."

"Gotcha. I'll pay double."

by Anonymousreply 242September 13, 2020 7:13 AM

Steve and Alice ranked #5 among the 50 Greatest Soap Couples of All Time, according to the We Love Soaps website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 13, 2020 8:10 AM

I think Jacqui Courtney was still doing OLTL when AW revived Steve/Alice/Mac/Rachel

I thought David Canary was great as Steve Frame.

Ridiculous to kill him again.

AW's great big event with vets was the 25th anniversary in 1989.

The show never should have lost the Matthews clan.

Even though they'd go to the backburner at times, the Hughes and Bauer families never left ATWT and GL.

by Anonymousreply 244September 13, 2020 8:15 AM

[quote]I think Jacqui Courtney was still doing OLTL when AW revived Steve/Alice/Mac/Rachel. I thought David Canary was great as Steve Frame.

She was. In 1981, AW brought on actress Linda Borgeson to play Alice. Shortly after that, they brought on David Canary as Edward Black/Steve Frame.

Borgeson certainly had the vulnerability to play Alice, but not Alice's backbone. Biggest problem was, show didn't write to Borgeson's strengths, which was a deadly mistake. Similarly,. she and Canary didn't have much chemistry (she had more chemistry with Douglass Watson). However, Canary and Victoria Wyndham had chemistry out the wazoo.

Audience was supposed to be rooting for Steve and Alice, but in this instance, they were rooting for Steve and Rachel. Alcie was an afterthought and never much of a threat to the Steve-Rachel pairing.

The main problem was that an inexperienced HW, Corine Jacker, just didn't know how to handle this storyline and consequently, it floundered. She didn't know how to adjust her storytelling to play to Linda Borgeson's strengths. She didn't know what to do with Mac, who was left on the sidelines with little to do. She didn't know how to write Steve Frame as forever pining for Alice. She didn't know how to write Rachel as torn between Steve and Mac, plus add in her love of Mitch Blake who was off-camera living in San Francisco at that point, but still had part of Rachel's heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 13, 2020 9:41 AM

Steve and Alice's wedding on May 4, 1974. AW aired a special one-hour episode to mark the show's 10th anniversary and this joyous celebration.

Because this 60 minute episode got such good ratings, show expanded to 60 minutes full time in Jan 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246September 13, 2020 9:45 AM

I know its a dream but I wonder if Julianne Moore would do a Locher Room with JWS and Don Hastings and Kathy "Kiddo" Hays.

by Anonymousreply 247September 13, 2020 5:59 PM

When they brought Jacqui Courtney back to AW, they could have revived a Alice-Rachel conflict with them fighting over Mac

However Jacqui was quoted in a magazine saying she was shocked Alice was involved with Mac previously calling the pairing "incestuous" - Jacqui had a similar problem when Alice was suppose to fall in love with Steve's brother, objecting to that storyline. which was one of the reasons she was fired

by Anonymousreply 248September 13, 2020 6:08 PM

Someone needed to explain to Jacqui Courtney what the term “incestuous” actually means.

by Anonymousreply 249September 13, 2020 7:02 PM

R247 I would love that, but I have to say, after seeing Kathy on the last one, I think she's a bit frail.

She's not in dementia by any means, but her reflexes were much slower and doing a show like that might be a bit stressful for her.

by Anonymousreply 250September 13, 2020 7:22 PM

I'd love to see an OG Snyder family reunion with Jennifer Ashe, Steve Bassett, Renee Props, maybe even Julie from Seattle.

And Kathleen W if she's feeling well enough to do it.

by Anonymousreply 251September 13, 2020 8:10 PM

GREAT idea, R251. I wonder if Jason Biggs would deign to do it, too.

by Anonymousreply 252September 13, 2020 9:49 PM

What is the difference between an Executive Producer and an Executive in Charge of Production?

by Anonymousreply 253September 15, 2020 2:26 PM

R253 I assume you're talking about the P&G shows because I think those were the only ones who had that second role.

An Executive Producer is the head producer for THAT show. They are the top dog in terms of all production aspects - sets, technical pieces, casting, budget - and will often involve themselves in story, as well.

The Executive in Charge of Production was a role the P&G shows had, I think Ed Trach was the 80s and MADD was the 90s. etc. That was the executive that represented P&G, and would have a voice at the table, so to speak, for all P&G shows. They might not be as involved with day to day stuff but they'd know long term story projections, make key long term decisions and have a voice when it came to casting and story.

by Anonymousreply 254September 15, 2020 3:19 PM

So for example, when they did that weird switcheroo of producers in the 90s, eventually AW had JFP, GL had Paul Rauch and ATWT had Felicia Minei Behr, who led their respective shows, and all had to report to both MADD (for P&G) and whoever was the head of daytime at their respective networks at that time, too. Lucy Johnson for CBS I think.

by Anonymousreply 255September 15, 2020 3:21 PM

The problem with P&G shows is that writers had TWO hurdles to clear - P&G & the network

Wheras with ABC Soaps, they owned their own shows, so writers only had one hurdle to clear and that was the network

Bill Bell had NO hurdle to clear, as he had total 100% creative control. He actually told the networks, "this is what we are doing" and based on his track record, the network let him run with it.

by Anonymousreply 256September 15, 2020 3:29 PM

[quote] She's (Katryn Hayes) not in dementia by any means, but her reflexes were much slower and doing a show like that might be a bit stressful for her.

and her mother is still alive!!!

by Anonymousreply 257September 15, 2020 3:32 PM

R256 Yes, and while all the shows eventually went in the shitter over network interference, P&G had a harder time earlier attracting writers who could handle that. Marland was the last one who probably had some level of leeway. He and Lemay would do the Irna Phillips "we'll tell them one thing and write another."

P&G interference was the specific reason Pam Long left the second time.

by Anonymousreply 258September 15, 2020 3:33 PM

On Y&R, Bill Bell did lose the battle over taking the show to an hour (ca 1980).

by Anonymousreply 259September 15, 2020 6:16 PM

Cady McClain IN as new Jennifer Horton at DAYS

by Anonymousreply 260September 15, 2020 6:23 PM

R260 Actually, Cady is just Temp-Jenn. Reeves doesn't want to travel during COVID, especially with her two new grandbabies around (one just born, the other ready to arrive any day now).

by Anonymousreply 261September 15, 2020 8:10 PM

R261

I'm hoping this "temp" thing turns into being permanent.

by Anonymousreply 262September 15, 2020 8:22 PM

Anyone watch Anne He he on last night's DWTS? She did really well especially for it being their first week. I hope she has enough fans to keep her in.

I have a question I've always wondered. WTF has happened to her voice? Her voice is nothing like it was during her AW days. She had a lovely speaking voice as Vicky & Marley. Now her voice is like a squawk.

by Anonymousreply 263September 15, 2020 8:25 PM

In the past, were soaps really cast and dictated story by advertising agencies, like they showed in Mad Men? If so, really reinforces that soaps were truly meant just to sell products...

by Anonymousreply 264September 15, 2020 11:32 PM

R264 It wasn't JUST soaps, in the early days of tv, and radio before, ad agencies were the producers of the shows. They owned the air time and largely controlled the show. It lasted longer with soaps, P&G, Colgate-Palmolive and American Home Products all owned and controlled soaps.

by Anonymousreply 265September 15, 2020 11:45 PM

[quote] On Y&R, Bill Bell did lose the battle over taking the show to an hour (ca 1980).

Since Bill Bell owned the show and received profits from advertising revenue, I'm sure CBS changed his mind in a big financial way

by Anonymousreply 266September 16, 2020 2:57 PM

Can't believe the producer or director didn't know "Company" was a gay bar on Columbus Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 267September 16, 2020 3:40 PM

Maybe he was just a fan of the Broadway show?

by Anonymousreply 268September 16, 2020 5:12 PM

R267, the producer and director may have known but if they did, did they tell Pat Falken Smith, the LA based writer who came up with Company?

Lisa Brown returning and taking one last wistful look as Nola was everything.

I wish ATWT had been as thoughtful with its LISA -- Eileen Fulton.

by Anonymousreply 269September 16, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote] Lisa Brown returning and taking one last wistful look as Nola was everything.

Then the next day Buzz Cooper and the rest of the family moved in and took over "Company"

by Anonymousreply 270September 16, 2020 6:48 PM

Locher Room on now with Ricky Paul Golden and Ron Raines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 16, 2020 7:05 PM

r270

Didn't Nola returning and having her last look well over 10 years after the Coopers took over?

by Anonymousreply 272September 16, 2020 11:21 PM

Nola returned to show during the final week of episodes in 2009 and blew a kiss at Company while there.

by Anonymousreply 273September 17, 2020 2:04 AM

Ron and Ricky Paul were great. What kind men they are.

by Anonymousreply 274September 17, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote] Nola returned to show during the final week of episodes in 2009 and blew a kiss at Company while there.

That was writer Jill Lorie Hurst, who was probably the only writer to respect the history of Guiding Light

by Anonymousreply 275September 17, 2020 4:24 PM

Jill did a lot of good things at the end but they didn't script much for Nola. That kiss was Lisa's idea.

by Anonymousreply 276September 17, 2020 4:50 PM

Jill did a lot of good things at the end but they didn't script much for Nola. That kiss was Lisa's idea.

by Anonymousreply 277September 17, 2020 4:50 PM

We've been Murieled so....new thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278September 17, 2020 4:53 PM

Most likely it was Lisa Brown's decision as an actress to blow the kiss to Company. Very unlikely it was scripted.

by Anonymousreply 279September 17, 2020 4:53 PM

of course; actors are always adding in things like that; they encourage that in acting class - some teachers have different takes on adding unscripted stuff.

I swear Grant (silently) mouths 'effing bitch' when blind Beth tells him she's India's maid of honor at P&I's blackmail wedding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 17, 2020 10:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!