Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Andy Dixon?

Starting a new thread because the previous one was Muriel'd.

I'm rewatching early Sheffer era ATWT. I'm into early 2001 now. Summer 2000 was just so delicious with the long-awaited end of the Lily/Rose storyline and Rose getting revealed and then Holden catching Lily making out with Simon on an island. It was all so well done. Bringing back Iva to retcon Rose into Lily's twin just worked for me for some reason. I also love the whole Endicott Awards with Katie finally getting revealed as faking her own stalking to steal Molly's job and knowing about the Lily/Rose switch all along. That material is all dynamite, and pretty much from July 2000 - September 2000, ATWT is firing on all cylinders (for what would be the last time?)

By fall 2000, I started to notice some of Sheffer's more annoying tics start to pop up. In his effort to "give the men their balls back," Jack and Hal become complete assholes. The storylines aren't exactly anything to write home about either -- Craig selling illegal microchips or whatever and Hal trying to nail him on it is all pretty lame. Molly being visited by [italic]Another World's[/italic] Vicky Hudson (in ghost form) shouldn't work at all. And yet, it's clear that Sheffer has earned incredible good will among the writing staff and the actors. The day to day episodes are quite good, even when the storylines shouldn't work. I noticed a particularly witty script, and sure enough, it was a Marie Masters script. And the actors are playing the heck out of the material. Colleen Zenk-Pinter is clearly loving the breakdown of Barbara's marriage, and Barbara has become a TOTAL bitch (lol), but she's clearly enjoying the first material she could sink her teeth into in a long time. I know it's going to get ridiculous eventually after she gets burnt and they eventually have her jumping out of courthouses, but for now, the darker Barbara is just great. Hunt Block was a decent Craig recast for the first few months. Yes, a little darker than Scott Bryce's take on the character, but I can see a through line. But it's starting to go south as he becomes more mustache-twirling.

I'm up thru January 2001. For now I'll keep going. I know it's going to get ridiculous and over-the-top at some point. But it's quite good. I saw Lauren Martin's last episode as Camille for probably the first time since it aired 20 years ago. She had very little to do her last year or so there, but her last episode with her saying goodbye to John at the train station was quite a tearjerker! Surprised no other soap ever picked her up. She was very beautiful. I saw Andy leave. It was sold as just a temporary leave as Andy went to rehab, but that's it.... Andy never appeared again for the next 10 years. At least we never had to deal with an awful recast. Can you imagine Steve Burton or some other ABC actor as a "hunkier" Andy Dixon? Our beloved Scott DeFreitas was the HEART and SOUL of ATWT.

Saw an ad for GL at the end of an ATWT episode... Prince Richard is not the legitimate Prince of San Cristobal. As much as I loved this period of ATWT, I remember this as an awful period for GL. I stuck by GL for the clone, stuck by for the Nursery Rhyme Stalker, but once it became 100% mafia/San Cristobal, I stopped watching. I didn't come back to GL until Millee Taggart's tenure in 2002 (and by then, I remember thinking ATWT had gone south again. They could never both be good at the same time.)

Anyway, sorry for rambling. There is nobody else I can talk about this with outside of DL, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 19, 2020 10:04 PM

link to previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2020 5:43 AM

Hogan Sheffer wanted me to come in as a recast for Lisa Grimaldi to replace Eileen Fulton. I will be debuting on Y&R soon as the resurrected Katherine Shepherd Reynolds Chancellor Thurston Sterling Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2020 6:05 AM

R2 Thanks for the update, Scoche Marin troll.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2020 6:08 AM

Oooh...I just noticed this. I found Andy to be very boringly written after the Lisa v. Johnny Boy Dixon trial, in which Andrew had to testify against his father. Overall, the writing made me Marland so much, at some point, I began watching only the scenes Andy was in.

I was never able to believe he fell in love with Denise. What happened to Courtney? Or Little Miss Seattle? Or Mike Kasnoff? (I was so hoping Andrew would come to know his real, true addiction was to what swung between Shawn Christian's legs, but it was not to be.)

I so hated Carly for taking Mike away from Andrew (in my mind only, I know, but still: wasn't Chris Whitesell headwriting there for awhile?)

And then the mindless cunts from ABC, Mickey Against Daytime Drama and Felicia Mini-Bear, showed up and flushed Andrew (and SDF's career) right down the shitter. I do hope there is a hell, because if there is, that's where those two are going when they die.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2020 7:50 PM

Andy falling for the bad girl or a girl that was completely wrong for him was a well they went back to over and over... but it kinda worked. He always fell too hard too fast, and that's part of what made him so attractive.

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2020 1:29 AM

Hi OP -

When you create a new thread, it also really helps to go back to the old, just-Murieled thread and link to it THERE so that we all know where to go next.

I didn't see any such link and so yesterday I created a WHET India von Halkein thread. So we now have two. Which is not the end of the world, but a bit confusing.

(Just wanted to explain what happened - I would have saved the India thread for another time had I known this one existed.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2020 1:35 PM

When Scott DeFreitas came back to the show in 1997 he really bulked up - he has several shirtless scenes and he was muscular

I suspect DeFreitas started hitting the gym, thinking having a primo body would equal a contract and job security. But it wasn't in the cards, he continued to be non-contract and was eventually written out by Goutman

by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2020 1:48 PM

The recent Locher Room with Paulo Benedeti, Paul Wesley, Joy Lenz (or whatever name she is going by today), Tammy Blanchard etc was very good. Thanks again to Alan for these! Paulo is pretty unrecognizable from the guy he used to be. I wonder if the technology exists for Alan to be able to "direct" the video so that sometimes when a person is speaking it could bring that person full screen.

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2020 2:20 PM

r6 More than likely, ORD, the person who started this thread—not me, btw—was Murieled out of the Jamie Frame thread, and was thus unable to post a link there. If you felt like posting a link there, all would be forgiven (not that there's really anything to forgive).

by Anonymousreply 9August 6, 2020 2:21 PM

R9 If they started a thread, they were a paying member and could have added this WHET Andy link to the Jamie Frame thread.

It's not an issue, I just wanted to explain why I started a second thread. Usually we are pretty good about not stepping on each other's toes! I don't *have* to start every thread but happy to keep the ball rolling if the prior one is Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 10August 6, 2020 3:02 PM

Not in every case, r10. I am not a paying member, but I can start threads.

by Anonymousreply 11August 6, 2020 3:04 PM

The new Soap Opera Digest podcast has a delightful interview with Rick Hearst

by Anonymousreply 12August 6, 2020 3:07 PM

R11 Hmm. Maybe your "karma" or whatever that is (points for activities) allow that.

by Anonymousreply 13August 6, 2020 3:30 PM

I am not a paying member either and can start threads on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 14August 6, 2020 4:12 PM

Next week's Locher Room is with Maeve Kincaide, Ellen Parker, Tina Sloan, Rachel Miner

by Anonymousreply 15August 6, 2020 4:25 PM

Mmmm...good one, r15.

by Anonymousreply 16August 6, 2020 4:26 PM

Ooh, that is a good one!

But still no Lisa Brown.......

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2020 5:15 PM

Holee!! They are gonna talk about Maureen's death. I am going to cry like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2020 8:22 PM

If Alan were to invite JFP, would she show up?

by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2020 8:53 PM

I've been watching ATWT episodes from the late 80s (specifically summer 1989), when Andy lost his virginity to Julie (episode aired July 31 1989). Scott DeFreitas had a done of shirtless scenes that summer, as he was working at the Yacht Club. Was fun to watch him and Paul both have sex, but in completely different situations; Paul's was much more sensual when he slept with Emily, and yet Andy's was steamy with Julie, who calls out "I always knew it would be this way with you" in the midst of it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 6, 2020 8:59 PM

R19

Who the fuck wants to have JFP aka soap killer on a Zoom? She needs to be shunned forever.

by Anonymousreply 21August 6, 2020 9:06 PM

[quote]I've been watching ATWT episodes from the late 80s (specifically summer 1989), when Andy lost his virginity to Julie (episode aired July 31 1989).

I'm having a hard time finding that date, r20. I wonder if you could help me out. Thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 6, 2020 9:08 PM

Are you kidding, r21? I'd love for that group of castmates to be able to publicly tar and feather Jilly on Zoom. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 23August 6, 2020 9:09 PM

One of Maura West and Andy Dixon’s zillion children is a broadway star

by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2020 9:13 PM

R22 Can't find it either, I'm afraid. But the Friday before episode, when he and Julie start to kiss and fall into bed (or what looks like them falling into bed) is online, and this scene is toward the end of the episode, after Julie receives news from Dr. Michaels that she is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 25August 6, 2020 9:51 PM

R19 I'm sure JFP's broom could take her to a computer with Zoom.

But if she appeared? She would change the graphics and music of the title card of the Locher Room, make everything much darker and harder to see, kill whoever the oldest woman was on her episode, and then cancel the whole thing at the end.

by Anonymousreply 26August 6, 2020 10:00 PM

The thing is, most actors seem to have an appreciation for JFP. The ones that don't REALLY don't but weirdly, some actors like having a very strong, almost bully-esque leader. Gloria Monty, Paul Rauch....they all had their fans.

by Anonymousreply 27August 6, 2020 10:02 PM

Just saw the Beth Raines character profile on YouTube. Why did it take him so long? He spend through a lot of information. What a huge character to be almost completely ruined.

I always felt Alexandra should have taken Beth under her wing and molded her after herself. Beth was always portrayed as very intelligent ( valedictorian) and Alex considered her like a daughter. Phillip and Beth could have fought Alan OR Alex and Beth could have fought Alan and Phillip when P&B were broke up.

Point is, there were many ways they could have taken the character instead of the saint she was or the neurotic they wrote later.

by Anonymousreply 28August 6, 2020 11:20 PM

I love Andy. He's why I started watching in 1989.

However, just a few years ago, I saw Scott and Maura in the audience at the Pasadena Playhouse - and while his face was as handsome as ever, his ass was HUGE. Maura was as stunning as she's always been.

by Anonymousreply 29August 6, 2020 11:51 PM

Face stunning? He’s only ever been slightly handsome. Geez I can’t believe people think he was ever hot. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2020 12:18 AM

He has that big fat dad ass now. Mmm. Bet it looks hot in khakis.

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2020 12:27 AM

I wonder what he does for "work". I've never seen him in anything aside from ATWT. He must have had other roles, don't you think? They can't be living off of Maura's GH salary alone.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote] They can't be living off of Maura's GH salary alone.

Well, I think they have been. She's been working pretty much nonstop for 20 years and he's been the stay at home dad. I think he was doing something for/with the school where they lived. But she has to make somewhere in six figures a year, even in the age of soap austerity.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2020 12:39 AM

Wasn't he in real estate when they lived on the east coast?

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2020 1:15 AM

R19 depends who’s on with her. If it was all FOJs, she’d do it.

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2020 1:21 AM

Aaargh, r35. The point was doing it with all her non-friends!

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2020 1:22 AM

And now the Locher Room "Black Widow" episode

With Jill Farren Phelps!

Featuring Ellen Parker, Alice Barrett, Kim Zimmer and special guest Genie Francis

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2020 1:27 AM

r37 There. You. Have. It.

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2020 1:29 AM

The FOJ who should have been a much bigger star was that hot McClatchy guy.

if GL hadn't have had him be only short term, he would have been a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote]The FOJ who should have been a much bigger star was that hot McClatchy guy.

Why did he leave AW? He was splendiferous as Nick Hudson (TBH, so was Justin Chambers).

by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2020 1:42 AM

Don't know if he was ever signed to a contract.

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2020 2:04 AM

Yes, the Beth Raines profile was shit and took this long? Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote]And now the Locher Room "Black Widow" episode With Jill Farren Phelps! Featuring Ellen Parker, Alice Barrett, Kim Zimmer and special guest Genie Francis

Don't forget to add Robin Strasser to the guest list!

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2020 3:07 AM

Rick Hearst goes by his real name (Rick Herbst) in his new profession as COO of Nonna's Family Kitchen in Georgia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2020 3:41 PM

Wow, Rick's son looks JUST like him

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2020 3:49 PM

r45

is that Nick? Isn't he a friend of Hank Eliot?

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2020 3:53 PM

Locher Room for 8/13

Anna Stuart!!!

Kale Brown

Alice Barrett

Alicia Coppola!

Chrisina Tucci

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2020 4:31 PM

YES! Oh my heart!

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2020 5:01 PM

Is anyone tuning in for today's Locher Room with ATWT writers? I'm afraid I will lose my temper and post something snarky, so I am just going to wait until it's over and then watch.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2020 5:40 PM

I had given up on AtWT a few years before that Hogan Sheffer guy started writing. His material seems to have a lot of fans on here. Can anyone summarize what was so good about his time on the show?

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2020 6:03 PM

I am so glad Rick Hearst has finally laid off the hair dye. I love my Curly Locks.

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote]Is anyone tuning in for today's Locher Room with ATWT writers? I'm afraid I will lose my temper and post something snarky, so I am just going to wait until it's over and then watch.

I tried, but I could not watch it. I kept wanting to type "THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO RUINED THE SHOW." Instead, I turned it off.

At one point early on, Alan warned The Writers not to read what the fans were writing. Some were saying what I was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2020 6:27 PM

The Locher Room will be hosting another session with DL favorite Mimi "I Killed The Soaps" Torchin

AND

Muscle Mary Michael Fairman

AND

Michael will be sharing his new music video - yes, you read that right - on that episode.

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2020 7:30 PM

Mimi Torchin and Michael Fairman. That should be a fascinating interview. Maybe add Michael Logan in there too.

Wonder if Alan will have to balls to even touch on how Mimi's convincing the shows to release detailed spoilers was a significant factor in the ultimate death of soaps. I would love to hear Mimi defend herself on that.

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2020 10:48 PM

No, r54. He's going to tell her not to read what the posters are typing, because we know [bold]it was Mimi Torchin who killed the soaps[/bold], and we will all be typing it at her.

It wasn't OJ. It wasn't Elian. It was Mimi.

by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2020 11:32 PM

Well, don't type those words exactly or she'll miss the point.

Her SPOILERS killed the soaps

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2020 11:47 PM

Mimi Torchin was good at missing the point. Probably why she couldn't get hired to write for AMC or GL.

by Anonymousreply 57August 8, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote]we know it was Mimi Torchin who killed the soaps,

Don't hold back, r55. Tell us what you really think!

by Anonymousreply 58August 8, 2020 12:18 AM

Once the soap rags were dependent upon the shows to release the detailed spoilers, the shows actually gained a bit more control over the magazines.

Before the detailed spoilers, the magazine writers watched the episodes to write the synopsis. They only had to deal with the shows directly when trying to arrange an interview with an actor or a writer, etc. And even then, the reporters who knew the actors personally could bypass a publicist and phone the actor directly.

Once the mags were dependent on shows for their main content (the synopsis), then the shows could exert more subtle control. Shows started demanding more in order for the mags to have access to the actors, writers, producers

by Anonymousreply 59August 8, 2020 12:26 AM

R59 Yep.

This is one thing that pushed the declines of the P&G shows a little - in the late 90s there was some falling out between DAYS and Digest. It's been so long I don't remember all the details but for a while, DAYS was insistent on covers for many stories. You'd go 3 or 4 months and see nothing but DAYS covers before another one slipped in. Then there was a period (six months? a year?) where they fell out and DAYS didn't have any covers.

But for most of the 2000s, even before other shows were cancelled, the three hour shows still standing all got 98 percent of covers. (Before they started doing multiple squares on Weekly, anyway.) I don't know if that's a chicken or egg question but it seems to me it didn't help any of the shows we loved.

by Anonymousreply 60August 8, 2020 12:30 AM

r60

I still remember seeing Marlena as the Salem stalker 2 days before the reveal on screen

by Anonymousreply 61August 8, 2020 1:04 AM

R60 I thought it was SPW that got into a fight with DAYS? Or maybe it was both. Ken Corday seems like a bossy bottom.

by Anonymousreply 62August 8, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote]SPW

What did that set of initials stand for, r62, "Soa Popera Weekly" or "Soapo Pera Weekly"?

by Anonymousreply 63August 8, 2020 1:13 AM

R50, Hogan Sheffer was good and bad for ATWT. On the good side, he shook up and revitalized the show when it desperately needed it. He got attention for ATWT, which usually got minimal from the media. He also was in charge when a slew of Emmys were won (including the show's first ever for Best Actress...Martha Byrne). He took Colleen Zenk out of the backburner and made her a focus of the show (like Douglas Marland had done years before). And he had a great year-and-a-half of storytelling, all springing from the break-up of Barbara and Hal's marriage.

That's the good side. On the bad side, after the year=and-a-half was up, Sheffer ran out of story, and replaced it with shock. Turning Barbara bitter was great, but making her want to kill her enemies...not so good. I was not a fan of Hunt Block's Craig, but he WAS entertaining, but making him sleep with the girl he once raised as his daughter? ICK. Th list goes on (and down) from there.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2020 1:45 AM

Days- ugh! That cover hogging turned me off.

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2020 1:52 AM

If you've never read it, Darryl Pinckney's love letter to ATWT (and his obsession with the Luke/Noah storyline) from Harper's magazine is quite touching. There's also a funny account of an ATWT luncheon he attended in New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2020 2:07 AM

R52 I’m sure it’s been a long time since soap writers were able to do everything they wanted. I think the execs at P&G and CBS are more to blame.

by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2020 2:49 AM

Just listened to the ATWT writers’ room. It is skippable.

by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2020 4:31 AM

I like Casiello but really have no time for Jean or the others so.....not sure if I will watch

by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2020 4:32 AM

As I recall, back in 1999 soap critic Marlena de la Croix, who wrote a weekly column in Soap Weekly, wrote a column critical of General Hospital's storylines. This was during a particularly slow time on the show. I believe it was when Chloe Morgan was dreaming of benches on an island and Lucky was living in a boxcar, estranged from his parents.

Ken Corday of Days was upset by the column. He suggested that with ratings for all soaps declining, it was inappropriate for the soap press to write critical pieces like Marlena's column. He felt the soap press should be writing supportive pieces about the shows.

Mimi Torchin replied that criticism is what kept the shows on their toes, nudging them to try harder to do better. Ken got pissed and cut off access to Soap Weekly for Days spoilers and interviews with the actors.

This sent a strong message to the other soap rags to stay in line (i.e., be supportive) or Days might cut access for them too. Remember, Days had the strongest fan bases and Days covers sold magazines.

All this over a column critical of GH that a Days exec didn't like.

After about six months, Days started giving access back to Soap Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2020 1:38 PM

[quote] I’m sure it’s been a long time since soap writers were able to do everything they wanted

They never had total power, anyway, but Marland, Bell and Nixon were probably the last to have a certain amount of leeway. When CBS became more of a corporate hivemind in the mid/late 90s then all the shows went through many more layers of input - and got watered down as a result

by Anonymousreply 71August 8, 2020 6:28 PM

R70 Liz, thanks for that! I had completely forgotten that Connie/Marlena was involved. And I thought Digest also had issues with Days for a time, or some sort of argument about the covers. But as I said before, details are fuzzy for me!

by Anonymousreply 72August 8, 2020 6:29 PM

I remember the 80s/90s SOD coverage of the Emmys, which could be rather opinionated, sometimes in ways even the DL would raise an eyebrow to. Mary Jo Catlett's (WTF) nomination for General Hospital was derided pretty nastily, and I think they were generally dismissive whenever Arleen Sorkin got nominated. I also recall them putting Lesli Kay in last place the year she won for ATWT (did they also say she was the only one who couldn't win?). I'm pretty sure someone would put odds of winning every year for the major categories, with some rationales, which could be stinging (like critiquing Kathleen Widdoes in lead one year, saying that her story was Holden's story, which made her supporting). Cut to 2020, and Heather Tom wins an Emmy in Lead for yelling at Flo about Flo's story.

I'm sure there's more, but it was, roughly as Mimi said, that the soap publications felt it their right to keep the shows on their toes. As the genre started waning, that was a bit counterproductive. Mind you, so was publishing spoilers, Mimi!

by Anonymousreply 73August 8, 2020 6:57 PM

[quote] Marry Dusty, Fuck Caleb, Fuck Holden, Fuck Damian

All at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 74August 8, 2020 7:04 PM

"I also recall them putting Lesli Kay in last place the year she won for ATWT (did they also say she was the only one who couldn't win?)."

I remember being annoyed by Leslie Kay all those many years ago, but when I watch episodes from 98-99 now, I really like Molly. Yes, she's deranged, but she acknowledges her own insanity, and empathizes deeply with others because of it. I really wish they could have dragged the David/Molly romance out longer, because Kay and Daniel Markel together were dynamite, and absolutely hilarious. David would say or do something completely unhinged, and everyone else would be shocked and appalled, but Molly would just shrug, like, "Hello, it's David we're talking about."

I like Molly with Andy, too, but I feel like Molly and David had so much more to play out. And I really, really wish Markel had not left the show. He was incredibly charismatic in such a weird, unique way.

by Anonymousreply 75August 8, 2020 7:23 PM

I hate the heyday for soaps are long over. They were so much fun. None of the remaining are good imo

by Anonymousreply 76August 8, 2020 8:22 PM

[quote]I really, really wish Markel had not left the show.

Though I had loved Danny Markel as Sam Fowler, the character of David Allen, then David Stenbeck, never was enough to get me to watch the show again. The writing had just become too horrible. It bothered me in particular that they paired him with Molly, co-metaphor with her cousin Carly for the savage destruction of what had been my favorite television program. It was simply impossible for me to believe in someone whose dick got hard for Molly Conlon.

by Anonymousreply 77August 8, 2020 8:33 PM

I really disliked the character of Molly, as introduced, but I grew to respect Ms. Kay's talents. She definitely elevated her game on B&B against Flannery.

Marry Dusty, Fuck Caleb, Fuck Holden, Fuck Damian Yeah, realistically that's a quintangle I would be happy to be the apex of. Lily had a cornucopia of guys (all hot, all in different ways). If I could only have one, I guess I go Caleb (MDM), but that's because he looks like he would still be doing kinky things ten years into marriage.

by Anonymousreply 78August 8, 2020 10:01 PM

Is Kay still married to the actor she met on a soap? His name escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 79August 8, 2020 11:55 PM

R79 I can't remember his name either, he played the David Stenbeck recast. They broke up quite some time ago after having a kid.

by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2020 11:56 PM

Keith Coulouris played the new David Allen. Why did Danny Markel leave?

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2020 12:03 AM

Danny Markel was and is one of the sexiest men I have ever seen in my life.

by Anonymousreply 82August 9, 2020 12:06 AM

R70 Sadly the soap press is still stuck in that mindset. I quit going to the soapcentral message boards, because the moderators wouldn't let you be even mildly critical of anything.

by Anonymousreply 83August 9, 2020 12:07 AM

I was never on that board much but some soap boards were kinda crazy in terms of all of that stuff. Too many message boards or, later, comment sections were hypercritical of really personal stuff re the actors, not the story or the show itself.

Respectful criticism of a story, though, that should totally be allowed.

I do miss We Love Soaps. That site and a few others did the best jobs of really good soap criticism. Most are gone or inactive

by Anonymousreply 84August 9, 2020 12:31 AM

Kay had great chemistry with Tom Eplin.

by Anonymousreply 85August 9, 2020 1:12 AM

"Kay had great chemistry with Tom Eplin."

True, but the storyline that brought them together was excruciating for ATWT fans who didn't give a flying fuck about AW or its characters. And then as soon as it was over and you thought, "Gee, maybe now they'll integrate Eplin's character into the show in a way that makes sense and we'll actually enjoy it," they killed Jake off. Like, what was even the point of all that???

I know, I know: Eplin's contract. But the writing was just awful. "My wife and babies have been killed in a plane crash!" just doesn't work when you have absolutely NOTHING invested in the characters.

by Anonymousreply 86August 9, 2020 1:34 AM

So what was Mimi's motivation for spoiling surprises?

by Anonymousreply 87August 9, 2020 1:49 AM

I don't remember that Mimi/Weekly was always SO bad, but the one I do remember having spoiled was re the Georgie story on OLTL. The cover spilled the beans several days before.

by Anonymousreply 88August 9, 2020 4:23 AM

Soapcity got exposed by a user as being biased. At least on the GL side. People got fired. Most of it had to do with pro- Harley fans.

by Anonymousreply 89August 9, 2020 6:26 AM

[quote]I don't remember that Mimi/Weekly was always SO bad, but the one I do remember having spoiled was re the Georgie story on OLTL. The cover spilled the beans several days before.

Hmmm...One Life is the show she ruined for me. I read about Will's escaping the train that was carrying him to Statesville the week before it happened while I was waiting in line to check out at the supermarket. It was Easter Weekend the year they came to get Elian Gonzalez, and since I already knew what was happening in Llanview, I decided to watch the 24/7 Elian coverage on CNN / MSNBC / Faux.

OLTL was so plot-heavy, I didn't [bold]need[/bold] to watch it again for a couple of weeks, and by the time the Will story played out, and there was new Nora/Lindsey suspense, I was over the show. I never watched it again. I didn't watch any soap regularly again until Lynn Marie Latham made Y&R interesting.

All thanks to torchin' Mimi.

by Anonymousreply 90August 9, 2020 7:32 AM

Markel didn't leave. He was fired. It was unfathomable. He made Lesli Kay tolerable and you completely bought him as James' son. And he was a doll to a group of fans I socialized with.

Firing Markel is one of many stupid firings in those years, including Scotty D, Yvonne Perry, ART, Lauren Martin...

by Anonymousreply 91August 9, 2020 3:53 PM

Was it MADD/FMB, r91?

by Anonymousreply 92August 9, 2020 3:56 PM

It was, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 93August 9, 2020 4:01 PM

And after being fired twice Danny gave up show business.

by Anonymousreply 94August 9, 2020 4:17 PM

Wow, this is over at the very good AW website, had never seen before. A transcript of Beverlee McKinsey on Donahue, 1978

Donahue, Early 1978

Donahue: Beverlee, what is it with you? Now, are you manipulative or what? ... As Iris, I should say. What is it that Iris does--

Beverlee McKinsey: --To say the least! Well, she's basically crazy. Well, I mean, that's really all I can... I cannot imagine any woman in the world being like Iris. ... She loves her father... too much. [laughs] A little too much. She's rich, she's spoiled, she's paranoid beyond belief. Everyone's doing something to her.

Donahue: Is she married?

Beverlee: Yes, recently. Well, at least for the next two weeks. [laughter] I married about three months ago, and I don't know, it's looking very shaky. I told him yesterday to drink his coffee and go to work, and that's the first sign of, you know... And next week I tell him to just go away.

Audience Member: I wanted to ask Beverlee. It seems your character of Iris is mellowing. She's not so bad.

Beverlee: Oh, yes, and I was so happy. For about three months since I'm married, I've been rather nice. And I liked it. ... But no such luck. In the last 2-3 weeks, ‘cause we're a week ahead of you, she's really getting impossible. And instead of Daddy it's going to be Dennis. She's going to drive — [to Donahue] Dennis is my son— She's really going to drive him up the wall. It's only going to take about a year.

Audience Member: Beverlee, how long in advance do you know the storyline? Do you know if you're going to be written out or killed by a truck?

Beverlee: Yes, you can know it quite a ways in advance if you're interested. [giggles] I don't know past tomorrow. Because I don't want to know! I mean, it's so depressing! "We have a terrific new storyline for you coming up this next year," and I said, "I don't want to hear it." Because we'll just be doing something awful to someone, and that would make me very unhappy, and I love this actor very much and I don't want to hear that. Or he's going to have an affair with someone. I learned that yesterday and it made me VERY angry [laughter]. And so I say, "Don't tell me!" I just read the pages, and learn them, and come to work. "Don't tell me."

Audience Member: Do you ever find it hard to disassociate your life from the character you play?

Beverlee: I never think of myself as Iris. Never. It's impossible! I'm just not like her in any way. She's not happy, you know, she's very unhappy. She doesn't find much fun in her life.

Donahue: Did you sign on for two years? How long have you been on Another World, Beverlee?

Beverlee: Five years. Five years last December. Five years and a lifetime [laughs]. No, I was not meant to last a minute.

Donahue: Was there any time in your association with Another World where you thought, I think they're going to write me out.

Beverlee: I never worry about that for a second. That's a waste of time. Because they will or they won't, and there's nothing we can do about it. But when I came here, they said, you'll be here three months at the most, that's it. And I was prepared for that. And I was not under contract. I had no guarantees of any kind. I just said, "Okay, I'll do it." And then when they said, "Sign," I said, "I don't WANT to sign. I LIKE it this way!" [giggles] But I did sign, and I've been there five years.

Audience Member: When you first came to Another World, you did not play Iris Carrington. Didn't you play Steve Frame's sister?

Beverlee: I played the homeliest lady you have ever seen in your life. For only three days. They put rubber under my eyes... and they put sun spots on my face, darkened my hair. And I [countrified accent] "tawlked like thay-at, and I carried a little handbag with both hands." And I played that six months before they had me as Iris. And no one but that lady [points to audience member] knew it. [laughter]

by Anonymousreply 95August 10, 2020 11:27 PM

Beverlee: I do believe you have a point when you say people watch because they would like to do that [be risque]. I know that's why Iris was put into Another World. We had middle class and we had lower middle class, and they said, "We need the upper class because the ladies want to see the clothes, the jewelry, the beauty." They want to look at it.

Donahue: So you're a rich.... ah...

Beverlee: Oh, honey, more money than you can even imagine.

Donahue: So that means a great wardrobe.

Beverlee: Mine's incredible. They had to build a room for mine. [laughter] Feathers and furs.....

Donahue: You must have designers waiting in line to dress you.

Beverlee: No, just the one who's hired to.

Audience Member: Do you get very much hostile-type mail?

Beverlee: No, I don't and that surprises people. I played a villainess on Love is a Many Splendored Thing in 1970. I played Julie Richards. But she was poor, the other side of the tracks. Not like Iris at all. And I think that's the reason... I get letters from ladies who say, "If I had that kind of money, honey, I'd do that too." [laughter] "Listen, you tell him what-for." I don't know. And they also write to me as the actress. They say they know that no one in the world could be like that and therefore I must be an angel. [laughter]

Donahue: What's the worst thing you did?

Beverlee: Let's see if I can give you just a little taste of it. Well, you see my father married a woman my age. And she was poor. And tacky tacky tacky. [laughs] So I hired a gigolo, a rich friend of mine in New York to seduce her. Oh that was Heaven! We had a show where I had this maid who will do anything, a very dear friend of mine, and we had a show where we had her on the roof with a camera. And this other guy trying to seduce my father's wife, and Louise is going to take the pictures. I mean it was outrageous. And I caused her to lose her child, ‘cause I don't want Daddy to have more than— That's going to change very soon. That's a little scoop for you.

Donahue: And, Beverlee, you grew up in?

Beverlee: You're going to die when I say it. I'm such a complete opposite of Iris Carrington, who is now, by the way, Iris Carrington Bancroft. I grew up in a very small town in Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 96August 10, 2020 11:30 PM

Donahue: How'd you learn to be such a snob?

Beverlee: I copied a few of my friends, that's all [laughter]

Audience Member: How long have you been an actress, and are you married?

Beverlee: Yes, I ... I'm married. Honestly, I'm married to a man who rapes ladies on stage. On One Life to Live. [Fellow guest Viki Sleestak shows great interest] He just came on three weeks ago. His name is Berkeley Harris, and I don't know the name of his character. I mean, I'm so busy I haven't found out. [to the OLTL guests] Has he raped either one of you?... He eats all the right foods. I'm at home with the potato chips, and he's with the okra or something.

Audience Member: Are you and Rachel good friends in real life? Is it hard to be so rude to her?

Beverlee: Oh, we laugh a lot. The biggest problem we have is to get through those scenes without cracking up. Yes, we are very good friends. It's impossible not to be on a show like this. With the people, you either really dislike them, and I have only one reason ever not to like an actor, and that's because he doesn't do his job properly. And the people who work with me (Mac, Rachel, Louise, my husband), they don't fall into that category. So I'm closer to them than to anyone else.

Audience Member: How much power does the public have in effecting change?

Beverlee: I think our writers did that once. The public went into such an uproar over something they did to the character of Alice, that it was a mistake and he changed it. With my character, the more upset you get the more likely they'll do it like that, because they want you to be upset. [Viki Sleestak reveals how viewer outrage made producers abort their plans to have Joe have an affair with Dorian]

Beverlee: You never see anyone [on soaps] watch televison. "What will we do tonight? Someone keep me company. I'm so bored." And I say, " Why don't you turn on Kojak?" [laughter] I don't understand that! They never watch!

Beverlee: [answering a question about an actor's need to be beautiful to be hired] I honestly believe, when you look at our show by the standards of young, blonde, and gorgeous, we are not one of those shows.

by Anonymousreply 97August 10, 2020 11:30 PM

Beverlee McKinsey (Iris on 'Texas") has quit daytime TV for good. But she has strong things to say to those who look down on soap operas. When McKinsey was offered the role of Iris Carrington on the NBC daytime drama "Another World," the part was a minor one due to be written out in three months. Beverlee admits she accepted it "just for the money" but eventually this small role expanded to become one of the best-known "bitch goddesses" on daytime TV. Beverlee's salary rose along with the show's popularity. Now, after seven and a half years of portraying Iris on "Another World" and on its spin-off, "Texas," Beverlee is leaving the world of soap operas. Looking back on her successful reign as one of the most talked-about women on daytime TV, she still finds it surprising that the character Iris caught on with the viewers. "I needed to make money, that's all," says Beverlee. "I had to make a living because I had a child to support and I wasn't really trained to do anything else but act. I really had no idea the part would ever last this long, and I certainly never dreamed it would bring me this much attention, although I still don't consider myself a star. I guess to some people, it must seem like a big deal, but there's no way you can compare the attention I get with the attention someone like Robert Redford gets. Now there's a really big deal!" Well, big deal or not, the cool, aloof and ever so nasty Iris won't be around to wreak havoc anymore.

by Anonymousreply 98August 11, 2020 12:19 AM

Beverlee McKinsey is leaving daytime TV to try her luck in the New York theater. Why would the queen of the soap operas relinquish her throne? "I'm bored," says Beverlee, with just a touch of Iris' haughtiness in her voice, "and I've been bored for years. Mainly, I just feel overworked. When 'Another World' went from 30 minutes to an hour, it was almost the end of my life. I'm highly disciplined, but the schedule took a terrible toll on me." The demands on Beverlee's time included learning 30 pages of dialogue a day (without the help of cue cards or teleprompters), rehearsing and taping 16 hours a day, and working on a year-round schedule. But though she is quitting the soap scene, Beverlee McKinsey is quick to defend the vehicle that brought her national acclaim and a string of Emmy nominations. "I'm so bloody furious at people like Johnny Carson," says Beverlee, "who says he has so much admiration for soap opera actors and then won't have any of them on his show. I've been trying for years to get on the Carson show and they won't touch daytime people as if we were somehow beneath them. They don't think we can be entertaining. "I went on an interview (with Carson's talent coordinators) and the girl said, 'Well, if we put one on, we'll have to put them all on. I said, 'What kind of statement is that? If I can't be as witty and amusing as some of the people you have on that show, I'll give you your money back!' "I've done all the other talk shows," Beverlee continues, "and I do those shows well. But you see people come on there and use phrases like 'soap opera acting’ and I'm thinking, 'What does that mean, buddy?' Because if it weren't for the profits made by daytime TV, nighttime TV wouldn't even be on the air. The networks rely on the daytime shows.’

by Anonymousreply 99August 11, 2020 12:19 AM

Anyone know if the Donahue interview is on Youtube?

I had no idea she was on AW prior to playing Iris.

by Anonymousreply 100August 11, 2020 1:38 AM

Picture of Beverlee McKinsey as Emma Frame here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 11, 2020 1:48 AM

R100 I looked for the interview and could not find it.

I knew about Bev playing an earlier character because it's mentioned in Harding Lemay's book. She made such an impression on him (and Rauch) that they cast her as Iris.

by Anonymousreply 102August 11, 2020 4:35 AM

Ok DLers- I asked my long time GL watching mom about the show pre- 1981. She said there was never a better show. She was always a GL/SFT/ATWT/ YR watcher. She has great taste.

by Anonymousreply 103August 11, 2020 12:19 PM

AW was by far the best show on the air pre-1991, specifically 1973-1978.

by Anonymousreply 104August 11, 2020 12:30 PM

AW's true golden period was Harding Lemay's first run, 1971-1979, and a second strong period that he wrote in 1988, which set up AW for a few years after. There was also a solid period in the early 80s where Cass, Felicia, Donna et al came on.

GL had a long run of several solid head writers. The Dobsons in the late 70s (R103's mom's era) really livened things up from GL's former dull domesticity. Douglas Marland's run was also amazing, and, in a very different way, so were Pam Long's runs. (What Long's stories lacked in intricate planning, they made up for in heart.) Then the Nancy Curlee years were magnificent. Sadly, by 1993, that run was over and aside from a few strong stories here and there, and the Millee Taggart run in 2002, GL never had that kind of all-cyclinders-firing feel again.

ATWT also had the Dobsons for a while, though I'm not sure they were quite as successful with ATWT, and before Marland arrived they had some bumpy years. Marland and ATWT were a great combo, and they struggled after his departure. I don't think it ever reached that sort of greatness again, though the first year or so of Hogan Sheffer's run had some solid stories.

by Anonymousreply 105August 11, 2020 2:16 PM

I completely agree with r105 assessment of AW and GL. Very astute.

Wasn't watching ATWT until AW was canceled, so can't comment on that. Although I will say that the first couple of years of Sheffer's run seemed solid.

As for the other P&G shows (this is a P&G thread after all), I'll add:

Edge of Night -- While Henry Slesar's run was the longest ever for a non-show creator (1968-1982), he had his ups and downs depending on the murder mystery he was presenting. Two of his greatest storylines were the original Whitney saga (Charles Manson-ish son Keith being a psychopath and murdering so many) of 1970-71 and the Sky Whitney-Raven Alexander romance (Jeff Brown impersonating the presumed dead Sky) which tied into Nancy Karr being held hostage at the Bryson Clinic in 1981-82. Also very compelling was the Serena-Josie split personality saga (1974-75), Nicole's return from the dead (1975-76), the Denise Cavanaugh (Holland Taylor) murder (1977) and the Winter Austin murder (1979). However, the show suffered greatly from lack of station clearances in the early 80s and P&G replaced him with a less adept writer who did nothing to help the ratings until P&G canceled it.

Texas -- A rocky launch in 1980 (discussed in the previous thread), but by late 1981 through to the final episode on Dec. 31, 1982, show was firing on all cylinders. NBC didn't properly support the show and disastrously placed it up against Luke & Laura on GH which hurt it tremendously.

Search for Tomorrow -- Although I caught some episodes here and there, I never watched it consistently to be able to assess its greatest periods. Of the episodes I saw, none were so compelling that it had me dying to see the next episode , although a 1972 storyline where Jo was blind and a psychopath was stalking her that aired while I was home sick with the chickenpox had me excited to see what happened next. Reportedly, the Liza and Travis period of 1978-80 was very good, but I never saw it. Can someone who watched Search for a long time weigh in.

Somerset -- Show didn't air where I lived so I never saw it and can't make any judgement. We never talk about Somerset on this thread. Did anyone watch? Can anyone offer their opinions?

by Anonymousreply 106August 11, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote] Danny Markel leave?

He was fired because TPTB wanted to do the "David Stenbeck in a different face" storyline

But he would have been fired regardless later on, as Christopher Goutman (who wasn't there when Markel was first fired) said the David Stenbeck character took too much oxygen from other characters and "unbalanced" the show.

by Anonymousreply 107August 11, 2020 3:26 PM

Didn't Liz Hubbard leave ATWT for about a year over some contract dispute in the late 90s? And when Goutman became EP, he quickly got her back on contract?

Am I recalling that correctly? Anyone remember the details?

by Anonymousreply 108August 11, 2020 3:32 PM

[quote] Somerset -- Show didn't air where I lived so I never saw it and can't make any judgement. We never talk about Somerset on this thread. Did anyone watch? Can anyone offer their opinions?

P&G produced Somerset and asked Edge of Night headwriter Henry Sleaser to write both "Edge" and Somerset at the same time. He created one of the most inventive storylines EVER for a soap - in fact I'm surprised that others soaps haven't recycled this plotline - I copied this text from another forum

Jingles the Clown was haunting a family while they slept - segments were often quite terrifying, and the storyline went on for an extended period. As it turned out, Zoe Cannell, Carter's sister and Julian Cannell's wife, was the one under the disguise. She was afraid that her husband Julian was falling for Andrea, and with a husband as handsome as Joel Crother's Julian, could anyone blame her for being nervous, LOL? Actress Lois Smith (of EAST OF EDEN and TRUE BLOOD fame) was mesmerizing as the deranged Zoe. This was Writer Henry Slesar at his delicious best. We were so lucky to have him pen exciting, intricate, layered mysteries on TEON, but his work on SOMERSET was also very good.

by Anonymousreply 109August 11, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote] Didn't Liz Hubbard leave ATWT for about a year over some contract dispute in the late 90s? And when Goutman became EP, he quickly got her back on contract?

Liz clashed with then EP Felicia Minei Behr - when Behr was fired Liz came back after Goutman became producer.

The clash was about Liz constant ad-libbing and use of props. Liz LOVES using props, but Behr tried to cut it down as much as possible. They even got into a fight when Behr banned Liz use of eyeglasses, which Liz said "what do I do with my hands now"

by Anonymousreply 110August 11, 2020 3:38 PM

I did not know that was the reason behind La Liz's departure!

She was so painfully ignored in the 2000s. She complained about Marland not writing for her (!) but she was such a catalyst in that era.

She should have been more of an Auntie Mame for Luke, which would have created more natural conflict between Lucinda, Lily and Holden.

by Anonymousreply 111August 11, 2020 3:52 PM

Someone is selling a bunch of 1993 Weeklys. Wonder if I should buy 'em?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 11, 2020 7:34 PM

ooh, 1992 ones as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 11, 2020 7:36 PM

I gave all issues of SOW away in 1999, before a big move. I had every issue. I did not know about eBay yet. It didn't even occur to me that someone would pay for them. They nearly filled up a medium speaker box.

by Anonymousreply 114August 11, 2020 7:39 PM

I am really thinking about getting them, but the shipping is kinda high.

by Anonymousreply 115August 11, 2020 7:53 PM

Back issues of Soap Weekly are even more valuable because so few people saved them. It was printed on newspaper stock rather than magazine quality paper, which also gave subliminal message that it wasn't worth saving.

by Anonymousreply 116August 11, 2020 10:07 PM

I have every edition of Soap Opera digest from 1981 to 2004 - 23 years worth

I is great to curl up on a rainy afternoon and read a year's worth of synopsis of a soap. That is the only reason I've hung on to my digests

by Anonymousreply 117August 11, 2020 11:04 PM

r117

I'm jealous, SOD and SOW were so much better than what we have now... I love finding one of them in an old box

by Anonymousreply 118August 11, 2020 11:21 PM

LaHubbard could get annoying with her ad libbing. Quite often it seems like she was fumbling her lines.

by Anonymousreply 119August 12, 2020 1:54 AM

R119 I've said it before but after watching The Doctors, which was done live, I think that is where Hubbard become accustomed to ad libbing. Because it was live, they had to ad lib if they or their scene partner forgot their lines.

by Anonymousreply 120August 12, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote] LaHubbard could get annoying with her ad libbing. Quite often it seems like she was fumbling her lines.

That was one of the reasons Charles Keating was fired from Another World - he was so dissatisfied with the scripts he ad-libbed entire scenes, which would throw off his scene partners. Vicky Wyndham was fine with it, rolling with the punches

Other cast members were not as generous, as the scene was suppose to go one way in rehearsal. But when it came time to tape, it would go in a different direction thanks to Keating.

by Anonymousreply 121August 12, 2020 2:06 AM

When was Keating fired from AW-he was in the final episode!

by Anonymousreply 122August 12, 2020 8:24 AM

Tom Wiggin used to refuse to follow Hubbard and followed the script. His responses to her seemed like non-sequitors because of it.

by Anonymousreply 123August 12, 2020 11:54 AM

I know mine is not a popular opinion, but, Charles Keating was captivating and mesmerizing. He could command a stage and an audience. I hope Anna and Alicia mention him on the Locher Room.

by Anonymousreply 124August 12, 2020 1:04 PM

[quote] I hope Anna and Alicia mention him on the Locher Room.

After they talk about their first day.

by Anonymousreply 125August 12, 2020 1:12 PM

Dang r108 I think she left because the writing for Lucinda in her pairing with James was embarrassingly bad and made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 126August 12, 2020 1:46 PM

R122 Keating was fired earlier in his run.....like Hubbard, he eventually came back under producers who were more receptive to his style of working.

by Anonymousreply 127August 12, 2020 2:47 PM

As I recall, an NBC exec didn't like the Carl Hutchins character and AW wrote him off in 1998. But as soon as the cancellation was announced, AW quickly brought Carl back for the last two weeks worth of shows in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 128August 12, 2020 3:25 PM

I adored Keating.

by Anonymousreply 129August 12, 2020 4:02 PM

He seems to have been truly loved by the cast. Anna Banana and James Cromwell were married at his home. Certainly Victoria had a lot of respect for him.

I appreciated his acting on various shows, but I have to say, I never cared for the Carl character, and got whiplash from his sudden redemption. But the fact that I nearly bought it is a testament to his talent.

by Anonymousreply 130August 12, 2020 4:05 PM

I quite enjoyed Carl when he came back to the show in the early 90s. Added some fun and some danger to the show. I really liked his relationship with his son Ryan Harrison.

I didn't especially like his 80s incarnation since Carl was more of a mustache-twirling cartoon then. However, I I suspect that was a result of NBC insisting AW be "more compatible" with Days, so AW created their version of Stefano DiMera.

My main objection to the Carl of the 90s was the romance and marriage to Rachel. It just seemed implausible that Rachel would fall for someone who had such a vendetta against Mac and even tried to kill Mac. I don't deny that Keating and Wyndham had good chemistry. I would have preferred they bring in a never-before mentioned twin brother to romance Rachel.

I was especially disappointed that Connie Ford's Ada had died by the time they did the Carl-Rachel romance because I would have LOVED to hear what Ada had to say about the Rachel-Carl romance and marriage.

by Anonymousreply 131August 12, 2020 5:13 PM

What are your favorite special episode from your favorite shows? I love Murder on the Honeymoon Express.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 12, 2020 5:16 PM

My favorite from GL is a farcical episode from election night. I don't know what it is called (other than brilliant), maybe, Ross's Fantasies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 12, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote]I was especially disappointed that Connie Ford's Ada had died by the time they did the Carl-Rachel romance because I would have LOVED to hear what Ada had to say about the Rachel-Carl romance and marriage.

"Well, Rachel, far be it from me to tell you what to do, especially now, this late in the game, but let me ask you, is he...is he really...a kick in the cunt?"

by Anonymousreply 134August 12, 2020 5:43 PM

R126 The problem a lot of soap writers had, especially for the more established shows, is they completely forgot their characters' history. That was why Douglas Marland was so successful. He didn't pair Lucinda and James and all of a sudden give them a long-lost son. Instead, he took Bob & Kim and gave them a rich backstory which resulted in Sabrina's introduction (and Julianne Moore's Emmy award). While Marland did stumble at times (remember the Falcon storyline that went on forever), or the Carolyn Crawford murder (which ended when the killer mentioned it as a throwaway line), his success was weaving the show's history (Lisa's time away resulted in a son, for example, was another great storyline showing Eileen Fulton's talent) made his time at ATWT ever-lasting, and made the CG era and the end of the show that much more painful.

by Anonymousreply 135August 12, 2020 6:22 PM

Who watched the Locher Room today?

by Anonymousreply 136August 12, 2020 9:24 PM

Going to watch it tonight. I fully expect to cry. (Mary!)

by Anonymousreply 137August 12, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote] Who watched the Locher Room today?

I watched it - asked about her firing by Jill Farren Phelps - Ellen Parker said she worked the AM shift at GL (they had AM & PM shooting schedules) then went home as she was preparing for her opening night of a new play she was appearing in

Jill phoned her at home to tell her she was fired. Despite (1) she worked with her in the morning, so why not tell her to her face rather than over the phone (2) Fired her on her opening night.

by Anonymousreply 138August 12, 2020 10:41 PM

OMG JILL FUCKING FELCHER PHELPS IS THE BIGGEST CUNT WHO EVER LIVED

by Anonymousreply 139August 12, 2020 10:43 PM

Don't forget! Mimi Torchin is live in the Locher Room on Friday, Aug. 14 at 12 noon (Eastern).

Get your poison darts ready!

Soap loving muscle queen Michael Fairman also joins in on the talk.

by Anonymousreply 140August 13, 2020 12:39 AM

Why is Jill Farren Phelps hated? She gave Ellen Parker her Emmy. What has Ellen done since then? Jill went on to win multiple Emmys at GH and Y&R. Hey, ya gotta be a bitch. Paul Rauch and Gloria Monty are looking down at Jill and winking at her. Again, remind me what Ellen Parker has done since GL?

by Anonymousreply 141August 13, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote]Why is Jill Farren Phelps hated?

You must be new here r141. Bless you.

by Anonymousreply 142August 13, 2020 1:44 AM

R142 What has Ellen Parker done lately? lol

by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2020 1:46 AM

[quote] She gave Ellen Parker her Emmy.

She DID NOT give Ellen Parker an Emmy. Ellen Parker EARNED that Emmy with her acting

If anything Ellen Parker should thank the writers for the scripts NOT Jill Farren Phelps.

by Anonymousreply 144August 13, 2020 1:48 AM

R144 If Jill didn’t decide to get rid of boring Maureen, Ellen would have nothing to submit for that Emmy. What has Ellen done since GL?

by Anonymousreply 145August 13, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] What has Ellen done since GL?

Ellen is a theatre actress, she focuses on the stage and does off-Broadway and regional theater, That is her first love as a performer, the stage

Which is why you haven't seen her on TV or film, she prefers working in the theater.

She did say on the Locher Room she did a play in January, and she still had people coming up to her saying "OMG it is Maureen" and this has been 30 years since she was on GL

by Anonymousreply 146August 13, 2020 2:20 AM

At least she was working, dumbass r145.

by Anonymousreply 147August 13, 2020 2:40 AM

Jill Farren Phelps is hated because she is a cunt who doesn't treat the actors or fans with any respect. We see how she treated Ellen Parker on GL, she ran Robin Strasser off OLTL, she basically killed Anna Lee on GH, she destroyed iconic sets on Y&R over the objections of the fans, etc.

by Anonymousreply 148August 13, 2020 2:43 AM

Don't forget me, r148.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 13, 2020 2:46 AM

[quote]she destroyed iconic sets on Y&R over the objections of the fans, etc.

Is she the reason it looks as though Victor and Nikki live in a hotel (and not Abby's hotel, like half the cast)?

by Anonymousreply 150August 13, 2020 2:48 AM

R148 Jesus Christ. Anna Lee couldn’t fucking say her lines! You couldn’t understand a thing she said. 2 Waaa waa waa waaa was all the old cunt could mumble.

by Anonymousreply 151August 13, 2020 2:50 AM

R146 Aha. Yup. Actors never embellish their importance. Ever. Ellen Parker is SO in demand since being fired from GL.

by Anonymousreply 152August 13, 2020 2:56 AM

R151 It doesn't matter, she was promised a job for life.

And you are wrong. Who are you JFP? Here is a clip of Anna Lee as Lila in 2003, the year she was fired. I have absolutely no problem understanding her. If you do, you are the one with the problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 13, 2020 3:00 AM

R152 Ellen Parker doesn't care what you think

by Anonymousreply 154August 13, 2020 3:01 AM

R141 sounds like the poster that wanted to rename Andy Dixon Drew Dixon.

by Anonymousreply 155August 13, 2020 3:01 AM

Maureen was boring but with the right material she showed her worth like being a friend to Roger. It was compelling and soaps need characters like that.

I was as shocked as anybody at my reaction to Maureen’s death and Parker’s gut wrenching performance. My sister had friends over that day and we all stopped in our tracks during this. Tears were flowing and 2 out of the 4 didn’t watch GL.

by Anonymousreply 156August 13, 2020 3:02 AM

R141 The killing off of Frankie Frame and Maureen Bauer; reasons to HATE JFP!

by Anonymousreply 157August 13, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote] Tears were flowing

That deserves a MARY!

by Anonymousreply 158August 13, 2020 3:12 AM

Parker would never have had that material if if weren’t for JFP. Remind me again how many Tony’s Parker has won? Since Ellen Parker loves the theater. lol

by Anonymousreply 159August 13, 2020 3:12 AM

My jaw dropped when I heard how JFP let Ellen Parker go over the phone. What a cunt. Parker said she was happy to play those family scenes. And you need tent pole characters like that in order for soaps to remain. In the short term it absolutely gave great story but the fact that still to this day she can’t admit she fucked up proves why there are only a handful of shows left and the genre is dying.

by Anonymousreply 160August 13, 2020 3:13 AM

R158 Some MARY’S need to be said. Thx for understanding.

by Anonymousreply 161August 13, 2020 3:14 AM

Actually it deserved a MAUREEN!

by Anonymousreply 162August 13, 2020 3:16 AM

So 159 the only reason Ellen Parker has an Emmy is because of JFP? Are you high?

by Anonymousreply 163August 13, 2020 3:16 AM

Maeve has her 1 Emmy because of Jill. Tina Sloan has.......well, she’s Tina Sloan. Not a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 164August 13, 2020 3:16 AM

Actors don’t win Emmys because of producers.

by Anonymousreply 165August 13, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote] Maeve has her 1 Emmy because of Nancy Curlee.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 166August 13, 2020 3:18 AM

Tina is like the Frank Dicopolous of GL. Why were they there so long but contributed nothing?

by Anonymousreply 167August 13, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote] Actors don’t win Emmys because of producers.

Producers can enhance a well told story but without good writing they can't do much. That was clear as a fucking bell re JFP in the year or so she flailed around after Curlee left. Her big idea was Tangie fucking Hill.

by Anonymousreply 168August 13, 2020 3:20 AM

R166 Nah. Maeve knows that her won her Emmy because of Jill.

by Anonymousreply 169August 13, 2020 3:21 AM

I think Tina and Frank were both willing to be there for cheap and/or recurring. And they were support for more key characters, so they were unlikely to be fired.

by Anonymousreply 170August 13, 2020 3:21 AM

Tina was not good but she was comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 171August 13, 2020 3:22 AM

R169 Nah, but thanks for playing. Maybe that flies in Port Charles, but not here,

by Anonymousreply 172August 13, 2020 3:22 AM

So are you saying that Zimmer Tognoni, Pelprey and Jordan Clarke won in 2006 because of Ellen fucking Wheeler?

by Anonymousreply 173August 13, 2020 3:24 AM

Jill found DL. You made bad choices. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 174August 13, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote] Zimmer Tognoni, Pelprey and Jordan Clarke won in 2006 because of Ellen fucking Wheeler?

Heaven help us, I'd have to credit David Kreizman with at least some of that.

And he was proficient-to-good at coming up with an interesting idea to explore. It's just that those stories never had pacing and would shit the bed after 2 or 3 months, and he (and the team) would move on to the next shiny seashell by the sea.

by Anonymousreply 175August 13, 2020 3:31 AM

R172 Maeve did thank Nancy Curlee and she did thank Jill for giving GL a new sense of purpose. Thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 176August 13, 2020 3:31 AM

R153 Anna Lee. Bless her heart. You try being the boss of 200 people and Anna messes up her lines 25 times in a row and you can’t go into overtime. I dare ya.

by Anonymousreply 177August 13, 2020 3:38 AM

Jill would be good for awhile then flameout spectacularly.

by Anonymousreply 178August 13, 2020 3:43 AM

R177 If she can't plan for that, she isn't a good at managing a show.

by Anonymousreply 179August 13, 2020 4:04 AM

STOP FEEDING THE JFP TROLL. Put him on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 180August 13, 2020 11:33 AM

So eldergays who watched P&G in the 50s & 60s- which show was the best? ATWT and GL dominated ratings.

by Anonymousreply 181August 13, 2020 12:00 PM

I loved Tina Sloan’s recounting of how she couldn’t play the scene that precipitated Maureen’s death, sitting in the Bauer kitchen and writing the letter to Ed that Maureen would find. After flubbing it several times, Ellen Parker told her to write the fucking letter.

It’s amazing to me that after 27 years I remember the scenes from that era so vividly. I remember Lillian writing the letter and I remember Maureen finding it.

by Anonymousreply 182August 13, 2020 12:02 PM

I have been told I watched the CBS soaps in the 1950s, and that it was how I learned to read. My grandmother and I would watch The Brighter Day, The Secret Storm, The Guiding Light, ATWT, The Edge of Night, maybe more. I don't remember a thing about any of the shows. What I do recall is that my grandmother would make us cream cheese and strawberry preserves sandwiches, cut in triangles with the crusts cut off. Cutting the crusts off was her thing: I like crust on bread just fine.

My parents decided it was watching the soaps that enabled me to read, because I would point to things at the grocery store I'd seen commercials for and say their names out loud: "Tide," "Rinso," "Joy," "Ivory." They were all Procter & Gamble products, of course.

by Anonymousreply 183August 13, 2020 1:31 PM

R180 I did and life is truly beautiful

by Anonymousreply 184August 13, 2020 2:01 PM

Lol, r177. You’re speaking the uncomfortable truth.

Soap fans have so many sacred cows that you’re not allowed to talk about. Eileen Fulton is another who soap fans complain about lack of respect for, but frankly she was lucky to have a job by the end.

by Anonymousreply 185August 13, 2020 2:05 PM

Was that confirmed with Eileen?

by Anonymousreply 186August 13, 2020 2:09 PM

[quote] Remind me again how many Tony’s Parker has won?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 187August 13, 2020 2:42 PM

R183 Similar, to me. I don't credit soaps with being able to read. But I credit them with teaching me reading comprehension. I was capable of understanding complex novels and books, well before my peers. It was an ability I developed by watching and following soaps.

by Anonymousreply 188August 13, 2020 7:09 PM

Yes!

I thought for a long time as a kid that soaps were books on TV. My intro to soaps was Rachel, Mac and Iris.

Can't get much better than that.

by Anonymousreply 189August 13, 2020 7:36 PM

Alan referred to something I wrote in the fan comments, that Michael Hudson had the best soap opera funeral ever. And Kale Browne goes "I did? ... I was already over in Llanview by the time I was dead in Bay City."

by Anonymousreply 190August 13, 2020 7:38 PM

Did Anna Banana mention Keating , Heche or her husband James?

by Anonymousreply 191August 13, 2020 11:07 PM

Her name is Anna Stuart. Not Anna Banana.

by Anonymousreply 192August 13, 2020 11:08 PM

Yes, yes, and yes, r191.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 13, 2020 11:10 PM

What was so great about GL? Never watched a second.

by Anonymousreply 194August 13, 2020 11:47 PM

Today's AW reunion was a good one. I swear the less Locher knows about a show the better the reunions. Lots of talk about co-stars, working in that Brooklyn studio and chemistry.

Anna Stuart's mouth fell open when Alice said that she was fired so TPTB would have money to bring Robert Kelker Kelley back. I don't think he was anyone's favorite in Brooklyn...

by Anonymousreply 195August 14, 2020 12:09 AM

GL had lots of gay and lesbian actors. Bernau, Shipp, Bomer, Garrett, Mary Kay Adams, Marsha Clark, Geri Court and on and on. Lots of sucking and snatch eating in that studio.

by Anonymousreply 196August 14, 2020 12:10 AM

I wonder what the 18-month storyline planned with Doug Watson at the center that was mentioned on the Locher Room today. Anyone care to speculate.

No doubt Harding Lemay included it as part of his 3 year Biible when he departed in Nov. 1988. I mean, the 25th anniversary was in May 1989, so Lemay surely would have planned out the storylien for Mac in connection with the 25th.

by Anonymousreply 197August 14, 2020 12:44 AM

I'll bet it had to do with Paulina, with no assistance from the Red Swan.

by Anonymousreply 198August 14, 2020 12:57 AM

I agree with R198 - it was probably the Red Swan and just got reworked with Rachel as the lead.

by Anonymousreply 199August 14, 2020 1:03 AM

I can't imagine that the writers reworked too much; probably just adjusted so that Rachel had more of a lead. I suppose Ken became a benefit of that reworking, making Rachel a heroine and he the lead male protagonist (along w/Ian Rain). I so mourned the death of Mac, but loved the story of Paulina and her entry into Another World . . .

by Anonymousreply 200August 14, 2020 2:39 AM

Watching and listening to the AW Locher Room: verklempt, to say the least. I loved AW more than my own family; seeing and hearing alums speak of Bay City (Brooklyn) . . .

by Anonymousreply 201August 14, 2020 3:04 AM

r200, Ian Rains was not a part of the original Red Swan story with Ken Jordan.

Ian Rains joined the show in 1993. Ken Jordan was there from 1990-91, along with the introduction of Paulina.

by Anonymousreply 202August 14, 2020 3:15 AM

R201

I totally agree. I vividly remember learning of DW's death. I was at my parent's house skimming through the morning newspaper. There was an article about his death and I broke down in tears at the kitchen table.

by Anonymousreply 203August 14, 2020 7:50 AM

Ken Jordan was one of the dullest characters ever.

by Anonymousreply 204August 14, 2020 2:36 PM

Marcia Clark is gay?

by Anonymousreply 205August 14, 2020 4:10 PM

I tried to watch Mimi Torchin on Locher Room today, but I had to stop after 90 seconds. Does anyone care about the failed acting career of a retired soap opera journalist ?!? Is Locher that desperate ?!

by Anonymousreply 206August 14, 2020 11:58 PM

MiMi tried out as an actress?? Really?

by Anonymousreply 207August 15, 2020 12:22 AM

Mee Mee ate alot of snatch. Of course Queen Alan ruined it whenever Mee Mee wanted to spill the beans.

by Anonymousreply 208August 15, 2020 12:29 AM

Which one of you bitches wrote "Mimi killed the soaps" in the comments??!!??

by Anonymousreply 209August 15, 2020 1:04 AM

Not I, r209. I didn't watch it until it was over so that I wouldn't be tempted.

by Anonymousreply 210August 15, 2020 1:08 AM

Any guesses on who the AW stars agreed was the only actor they ever encountered who was impossible to deal with?

by Anonymousreply 211August 15, 2020 1:12 AM

I checked the Mimi chat and no one actually wrote that (I was kidding above, but some people said they would).

A few people mentioned Ellen Wheeler with less than glowing words, though.

by Anonymousreply 212August 15, 2020 1:17 AM

r206

"journalist"

by Anonymousreply 213August 15, 2020 2:04 AM

I like when Alan pleads with people to be respectful in their comments.

by Anonymousreply 214August 15, 2020 2:57 AM

I like when Alan pleads with people to be respectful in their comments.

by Anonymousreply 215August 15, 2020 2:57 AM

Someone mentioned Marlena Delacroix, haven't heard that name in eons

by Anonymousreply 216August 15, 2020 3:20 AM

Always preferred Guiding Light to As The World Turns but so glad I found this thread. Guiding Light always had something special I couldn’t put my finger on. When it was good it was off the charts good. Even when it wasn’t it still had a certain quality I didn’t see on other shows.

by Anonymousreply 217August 15, 2020 9:38 PM

[quote] Any guesses on who the AW stars agreed was the only actor they ever encountered who was impossible to deal with?

It WAS NOT Robert Kelker-Kelly because all three ladies (who nodded in agreement about the actor) where not there when he came back the second time, and only one of them worked crossed paths with RKK briefly towards the end of his first run

I know who it is, but I'll reveal his name at R300

by Anonymousreply 218August 15, 2020 9:51 PM

I have my guess as to who it is.....

by Anonymousreply 219August 16, 2020 12:03 AM

A friendly reminder as we get up there in post count that if a certain w e b m i s t r e s s decides to r e s t r i c t this lovely discussion, we have another program already in progress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 16, 2020 12:05 AM

Does anyone know when the Holden/Emily shower sex scene happened and whether or not it's online? THere's a DL thread about the best sex scenes and I remember that one was practically pornographic.

by Anonymousreply 221August 16, 2020 4:10 AM

R218

Why wait til 300? We'll be paywalled by then.

by Anonymousreply 222August 16, 2020 11:34 AM

r222

that night be the point since they don't know the answer

by Anonymousreply 223August 16, 2020 1:12 PM

R223 actually I do know the answer - but there needs to be more action on this thread for me to reveal the answer

So get busy!

by Anonymousreply 224August 16, 2020 9:44 PM

I never got the feeling that Julian McMahon really meshed with the rest of the class when he was playing Ian Rains.

by Anonymousreply 225August 16, 2020 10:35 PM

Ian Rain, r225.

by Anonymousreply 226August 16, 2020 10:37 PM

Someone is reporting that this thread has been Murieled.

Time to move over to the India Von Halkien thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 17, 2020 2:42 AM

Please FF the fuck out of the crazies who continue to infest the board and talk about posters on other soap boards that none of us give a fuck about.

They've all but ruined the India vH thread.

by Anonymousreply 228August 19, 2020 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!