Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Rachel Cory?

Is she still living on Over Under Lane, or wherever the hell that was?

Has the poor dear seen an optometrist yet? Her eyes are....well, buggin'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 1, 2020 4:24 PM

Murdered by the IDF

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 6:37 PM

Discussion continued from here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2020 6:37 PM

Wait...wrong one. That's Corrie

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2020 6:37 PM

Yes, a different Rachel. May she rest in piece.

This one lives in Bay City.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2020 6:39 PM

I’m currently watching the GL era with Infinity. Take away some elements and it could have worked really well. I’m entertained but it plays like GH. This was the last year GL finished in the top 5.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2020 8:25 PM

SO good.

The beginning scene is well known but the ending of this episode is great too. I wish the character would have kept more of the bitchy edge.

Soaps are missing that I'll-do-anything type of character......they're either simps or murderesses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2020 12:10 AM

Hard to imagine that it was 21 years ago that AW aired its final episode. 21 years!

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2020 2:58 AM

Equally hard to comprehend is that July 7 will mark the 45th anniversary of the debut of Ryan's Hope.

And Aug. 4 will mark the 40th anniversary of the debut of Texas.

I watched both of those debuts live and cannot comprehend that it was 45 and 40 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2020 3:01 AM

I thought the last big ratings bump for GL was the climax of Annie's trial in '97. Please don't tell me the clone story got it higher than that.

I'm new here, have been reading the other threads dying to be able to post on them but unable to now lol. I've forgotten probably half of what I wanted to comment on but here are some I remember:

Beth Ehlers was definitely the person Kim Zimmer wrote about in her book. I knew it right away when I read it because I knew about her and Mark Derwin, the first Mallet. I figured it out about her and the second Mallet because i saw at the time she and Bogue went with each other to an award's show. I knew she was married and I had the feeling they were more than friends. Then I wondered about her and RPG, but he pings for me and didn't he wear eyeliner in the 80s? That just makes it more obvious for me. But interesting that he and Rick Hearst made it obvious that they hooked up. Back on the subject when I heard that Ehlers and Cynthia Watros got done I could totally see it. I just watched their scenes again of Annie and Harley in the mental hospital and Cynthia seemed to butch it up.when Ehlers was with her.

I also knew that the rumors of Rick Hearst and Frank Beaty hooking up because they had more chemistry together than either one did with any of the female characters, especially Sonia (Lucy).

Same with Frank Grillo and the actor that played Rob. I knew watching those episodes when they were on that those two were hot for each other. They both were in the movie The Sweetest Thing, though Frank was on for a few seconds at the beginning. I was glad when my instincts were confirmed about Hearst/Beatty and Grillo/what's his name. Wendy Moniz had to know about those two. Either she was in denial, they had group sex or she was like just have sex with him and not tell me. Cause those two guys were definitely fucking.

I am surprised about Wendy Moniz being such a diva and not liked much by the cast. Especially her fling with McKinney. I had no idea about that. I always assumed that she got with Grillo right away but seems that wasn't the case. I do know that she and Grillo were together at least 5 or 6 months after he started because at the 60th anniversary episodes they were heard fucking in the dressing room(s) while the press were there. They had major press there like Entertainment Tonight. And that was almost a year before Hunt Block got there and his mention of hearing them fuck too. Plus Grillo was still with his pregnant wife then too, yet he didn't make it not obvious that he's cheating on her with press there.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2020 3:59 AM

Here’s a very amusing clip of Elizabeth Hubbard in 2009 in the Dutch soap Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden. Her acting is more disciplined, probably because she wasn’t allowed to improvise as much as she did on ATWT. Also in the clip is a tall, dark and handsome actor who would have made the ideal Gavin Kruger on ATWT. A Dutch actor was originally brought on for Kruger (I remember the huge build up of the character) but he was gone after three weeks and replaced by a generic American at least fifteen years younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2020 4:06 AM

Finally! A classy thread headline.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2020 4:07 AM

Oops, I meant the Dutch actor was only on ATWT for three months.

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2020 4:09 AM

I can't believe the scene I posted at R6 is almost 40 (!) years old.

John's overstuffed jeans...and soaking wet speedo.... will always feel like just yesterday to me.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2020 4:23 AM

[quote] got done

Is this some sort of euphemism for something?

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2020 4:24 AM

Where am *I?*

WHERE is the son you've ever given him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2020 4:27 AM

She was sent back to the glue factory ages ago.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2020 4:31 AM

Frank Grillo was on Kelly Clarkson Show earlier this week.

Surprisingly, Frank displayed a seemingly gay side talking about arranging flowers, loving interior decorating, painting pictures and being a clean freak. Of these not traditionally masculine likes, Frank said, "I'm the perfect wife."

Here's the clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2020 4:33 AM

I hear she got a part time job in a diner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2020 4:35 AM

Okay, I know the DL is not the trans friendliest place.

But I was looking at some comments on there about Beth Chamberlain. For those who may not know, she's been suggested as a replacement for Melissa Reeves on DAYS. (No, Melissa hasn't been fired, but she's in a bit of hot water, at least on social media.)

Anyway, a trans black woman said something about how great Beth would be and Beth had a few very nice comments for this fan, and it just has me a bit verklempt. How nice of her.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2020 4:44 AM

R9, that's some good dish.

I saw Beth Ehlers blast a waitress like she was ripping into Vanessa over not letting Marah wear a leather jacket to pre-school on leather jacket day at pre-school.

Totally unnecessary to treat anyone that way. I was mortified for the waitress.

You've got good scoop on backstage affairs. Is Grant A. as loyal as he seems in the press? His wife did a nice turn as Derek Mason's snooty sister Trish on ATWT circa 1989. But I always got a bi vibe from the one called the pendulous one.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2020 4:59 AM

Beth Chamberlin is gorgeous. She grew more and more gorgeous with age. Beth Raines was always written to be physical perfection and Chamberlin embodied that.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2020 5:03 AM

Wow, Rachel Cory and Vera could easily pass as sister. Vera should have played Justine!

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2020 5:05 AM

R21

Chamberlin was on Billions a couple weeks ago. She shared her scenes with Frank Grillo. She looked drop dead gorgeous. I'd love to know her skin care routine. Grillo is still hotter than hot.

R9

Grillo has never pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2020 5:15 AM

[quote] Beth Chamberlin is gorgeous. She grew more and more gorgeous with age. Beth Raines was always written to be physical perfection and Chamberlin embodied that.

I have always liked her, but honestly I always thought her mother Lillian, played by Tina Sloan, was even more beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote]I'm new here, have been reading the other threads dying to be able to post on them but unable to now lol. I've forgotten probably half of what I wanted to comment on.

Don't worry. These P&G soap threads are great, but they tend to revisit the same themes frequently. You'll have another chance.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2020 5:24 AM

Beth Chamberlin never did it for me. Maybe it's because I only saw her during the Rauch incarnation of Beth Raines, where she was a washed out bleached blonde bimbo with the camera squarely focused on her chest mole. The gaspy, pausing line delivery made me wonder who she fucked to keep her job there. I'm guessing Rauch. considering what a fan of hers he was.

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2020 5:38 AM

Even with that interview with him on Kelly Clarkson show from this week???

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2020 5:42 AM

Grillo has always pinged for me. There was something off considering he would marry a 5 foot tall chick with a pubescent body. Even at the studio he got along with everyone way better than she did, commented on the female cast's hairdos, outfits - you know, stuff a guy, especially a macho guy, wouldn't even notice, let alone giggle about.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2020 5:49 AM

Would Beth Chamberlin leave her long-time home in Nyack to work at DAYS, which films in LA? Either that or a shitty commute to tape. She's one of those who probably doesn't need the work (her kettlebell business does quite well) especially at this stage in her life, where she has that plus other acting gigs continue to come her way.

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2020 5:53 AM

That sucks to hear that Beth Ehlers was like that to a waitress. Do you remember what year that was? I'm just wondering if it's during her "dark period" last year or two on GL.

Only gossip on GA is what I've read on here with him not getting along with Judi and Crystal in the past. However I live in Virginia and I went to meet a man that teaches at William and Mary school in the drama department, I believe in Lexington, VA (sorry it's been about five years). Well Grant acts in the school plays there and I saw his signature on the wall backstage that actors sign over the years. The man had only nice things to say about Grant and he's known him since the 80s he said.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2020 5:59 AM

I thought Beth was stunning when she returned in 97. The writing for Beth Raines was unforgivable. Beth was one of the most popular characters in the 80s for GL. To see what they did to her upon her 97 return was egregious.

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2020 6:08 AM

I wondered about BC and Paul Raunch also. He made it clear who he had the hots for, Cynthia Watros for sure. Her clothes got skimpier than her tight nurse uniform she used to rock, and I always thought he envisioned himself as Alan to her Annie. Then we CW was set to leave they brought on her skinny, hot blond in BC and then tried to make Beth crazy and wild like Annie.

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2020 6:10 AM

R32 Doing that you Beth Raines, if you watched the 80s version, was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2020 6:12 AM

Add me to the list of people not pleased with the reinvention of Beth Raines when the character returned in 1997. There was a helplessness about the character that hadn't been there before. Desperate for a man (why else would she get involved with Carl?) and wearing clothing too tight and too skimpy? Then rushing into a marriage with Boring as Fuck Jim LeMay?!!?! That's not the independent and assertive Beth we knew from the 1980s.

All that said, I loved Beth Chamberlain in the 1980s. She won me over when she first appeared in 1989. Because I had liked her so much then, I was more patient with this revised 1990s incarnation of Beth that she was played.

For what it's worth, I've always assumed there was some sort of hanky panky going on between Paul Rauch and Beth Chamberlain. As I recall from an interview at the time, Beth Chamberlain contacted Rauch saying she'd like to return to the show. As such, that would put Rauch into a position to makes certain demands (or at least hint at some needs that he had). Given that he made Beth one of the show's leading ladies, it seems obvious she serviced him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2020 6:46 AM

Beth Chamberlain was excellent in her scene on Billions. And she looked AMAZING. I remember it took me a long time to adjust to her Beth on GL because of her low voice but eventually I came around and thought she was a good recast.

by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2020 12:56 PM

Someone on Twitter suggested Cady McClain as a recast for Missy Reeves. I think she would be a better choice than Chamberlin. Not to mention she lives in LA.

by Anonymousreply 36June 26, 2020 1:02 PM

R36 Yes, Cady and Beth have been the two most mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 37June 26, 2020 2:06 PM

PS, the mention of a Missy replacement led to several Twitter posts for "those we'd love to see back on the air in general" and two that came out on top of THOSE mentions were Robert Newman and Colleen Zenk.

Who, come to think of it, would play a great pair of parents for a new character somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2020 2:07 PM

Robert Newman is another dud in my book. One of the worst actors with a limited range - a brooding, judgmental character that relied on his leading ladies to give him any dimension and popularity. If not for Reva you'd be asking 'Josh who?' If a soap is looking for a guy who plays sanctimonious well, they should hire him.

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2020 2:55 PM

R38

I've seen a lot of mentions over the last couple of years wanting Newman & Zenk to play Elizabeth's parents on GH.

by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2020 2:56 PM

It's well established that Rauch had a thing for blonde and trashy, so the longer he was producer, the shorter and tighter the dresses got and the blonder the hair became. The scenes with Lilian, Beth, and Lizzie were just blinding when you also factor in the harsh lighting that washed people out and made it so nobody had a neck or contrasting features.

by Anonymousreply 41June 26, 2020 3:02 PM

I always get sucked into these threads by the AW-themed titles, but then they immediately turn into 95% GL talk and I sigh and quietly bow out.

by Anonymousreply 42June 26, 2020 3:07 PM

I watched all three shows, Sylvia, mostly ATWT, but I, too, get lost in the Springfield commentary.

by Anonymousreply 43June 26, 2020 3:10 PM

Sylvia, we do try to be fair.

I think less people remember AW now since it's been off the air longer, but I will always watching it with Mom on Channel 11.

We do have a core group of avid AW fans, for sure!

by Anonymousreply 44June 26, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote] I thought the last big ratings bump for GL was the climax of Annie's trial in '97. Please don't tell me the clone story got it higher than that.

Sorry, the clone story got higher ratings - it pushed Guiding Light to number 5 - that the highest ratings they got since the mid-80s

by Anonymousreply 45June 26, 2020 3:55 PM

It is a shame Alan has had so few AW folks on the various reunions.

I don't think it's any preference of his, he just asks the people he knows. But would love to see some of the folks like Nancy Frangione, La Wyndham, Anna Banana, et al. All four Jamies, as someone suggested.

by Anonymousreply 46June 26, 2020 4:00 PM

Just announced for the Locher Room: Jean Carol, Stephanie Gaschet and some dude that wrote "Misguided" which is apparently some sort of GL spoof that Jean and Stephanie have been in.

by Anonymousreply 47June 26, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote] . One of the worst actors with a limited range - a brooding, judgmental character that relied on his leading ladies to give him any dimension and popularity.

Well that is how the part was written - in all fairness Robert Newman knew that, which is why he left several times, but kept coming back because GL kept offering him more money and he couldn't break into Primetime. After a few years he just accepted that the role is to support Reva, and just phoned it in. Actors ask about their character "What's my motivation?" In Newman's case the paycheck for his two kids and mortgage

Since GL has given him a nice nest egg, Newman has been able to do regional theater (plays and musicals)

by Anonymousreply 48June 26, 2020 4:02 PM

In terms of Beth Chamberlain - Judi Evans has nothing high praise for her

She said she didn't think anyone could replace her as Beth on Guiding Light, but she sees Chamberlain playing the part and she is doing just fine and is wonderful in the role.

by Anonymousreply 49June 26, 2020 4:04 PM

R46 I'd like him to get Alice Barrett. I follow her on IG, but she hasn't posted anything since last year. She seems to be living a very chill life in Park Slope, picking up small tv gigs here and there.

by Anonymousreply 50June 26, 2020 4:20 PM

I think Alan is trying to reach as many stars as he can, even beyond his own network. I think I read that Susan Lucci took a few channels and had to be worked out through her agent (and LOL she did her session from 10 feet away in a slip, which I know is her usual attire).

by Anonymousreply 51June 26, 2020 6:53 PM

R49 I’ve never seen Judi comment on Beth Chamberlin as Beth. I’ve chatted with Judi probably around 2001 and she said she’d never watched her as Beth IIRC.

I’m another person who didn’t like the character assassination in her return. Auntliz said it best-they took a rape survivor who was assertive and independent and raped her all over again. Beth was written almost like this angel in human form but she never acted like she was. She was very humble but could go toe to toe with Alan and Roger.

by Anonymousreply 52June 26, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote] I’ve never seen Judi comment on Beth Chamberlin as Beth

That was in 1991 when she was leaving Days of our Lives and they asked if she would be mad if they recast her. That is when she said she thought no one could fill her shoes at Guiding Light, but she sees Beth Chamberlain play the part she is doing a wonderful job

And because Another World and Guiding Light are P&G soaps, Chamberlain and Judi Evans have run into each other at the P&G Christmas Party, and even posed for photos

by Anonymousreply 53June 26, 2020 8:33 PM

There was some really bad histrionic shit contrasted by almost slapstick physical comedy with the late 90's version of Beth. Totally needed a man as others have said and they would often set her up as a damsel in distress. Quite literally tripping, falling, slipping, etc. after she'd go on a bender because her life was shit and it was SO BADLY ACTED, just so whoever she'd set her sights on at the time would run to her rescue and hold her up. Factor in the ironed hair and the dresses cut down to her navel in a bevy of Easter egg colors and it was pure outright comedy.

by Anonymousreply 54June 26, 2020 8:36 PM

R53 I googled but came up short on photos together.

by Anonymousreply 55June 26, 2020 8:41 PM

R55 it was in Soap Opera Digest

by Anonymousreply 56June 26, 2020 8:46 PM

[quote] it was in Soap Opera Digest

It was Chamberlain, Judi Evans and Tina Sloan with one of the actresses who was playing Lizzie at the time.

by Anonymousreply 57June 26, 2020 8:47 PM

R47, the “Missguided dude” is John-Paul Laboissier who was quite a star on the OLTL threads here. A blond twink who we suspected was into the homosex although he was apparently straight and married.

by Anonymousreply 58June 26, 2020 9:15 PM

I meant Lavoisseur, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 59June 26, 2020 9:16 PM

But I kinda felt like the Rauch era Beth, as much as she wasn't the 80s Beth, was where that character might go. She was elevated to this princess and then sort of became the person that relied on it.

That part, I didn't mind as much. It was one possible route for the character.

The later years post Lorelai where she had sex with and then married Alan....THAT was the thing that I could never get past

by Anonymousreply 60June 26, 2020 9:17 PM

R58 Oh yeah, I've had several dirty dreams about John-Paul Lavoisseur.

by Anonymousreply 61June 26, 2020 9:28 PM

R60 Yeah I only heard about the Alan/Beth arc but was no longer watching GL in those years. There are some lines that shouldn't be crossed but soap writers have no imagination so they either triangle characters to death and/or they stick them in the most vile pairings, like mothers/daughters or sons/fathers. By the end, everybody was screwing everyone except their own biological children.

by Anonymousreply 62June 26, 2020 9:43 PM

R60 I agree with others there is no way Beth of the 80s and early 90s ended up there. If this had to be they should have given better motivation for her odd 180 behavior. She was one of the most popular characters the show ever had yet they tossed it out the window to make her largely unlikeable. Well until 08/09 when they wrote her more like the Beth of old. I actually loved her affair with the hot Coop. Beth was peak gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 63June 26, 2020 10:04 PM

No, the "Misguided" dude that was announced for the Locher Room is Paul Gosselin the writer/producer. I know who John Paul Whatsersnatch aka John Paul Seponski is, and knew this was not him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 26, 2020 10:08 PM

The Beth that returned to Springfield in 1997 was essentially a different character than the Beth who left town in 1991. Yes, the same actress was playing Beth both times, but the writers just plastered a new personality onto her and used select bits of her history.

It was the forerunner of ATWT doing the same thing to Dusty and Paul and Meg.

by Anonymousreply 65June 26, 2020 10:22 PM

To those wanting to talk Another World, here a day after the 21st anniversary of its final episode, here's a question for discussion.

Cass Winthrop was on the show for 17 years and had many lovers during his time in Bay City. Who was the best mate for him?

Cecile DePoulignac

Kathleen McKinnon

Nicole Love

Frankie Frame

Lilla Roberts

Please explain your reasons for making your choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 26, 2020 10:29 PM

Kathleen or Frankie. Or me.

by Anonymousreply 67June 26, 2020 10:33 PM

I grew up with her son in a certain town in Westchester. He was a dick and looked just like her.

by Anonymousreply 68June 26, 2020 10:35 PM

R68 which one? The one that is the actor?

by Anonymousreply 69June 26, 2020 10:37 PM

R66 I didn't start watching until 1990, and I adored Cass, Frankie, and their Arts and Crafts house. I only knew Kathleen from her 'back from the dead' storyline, so naturally I hated her at the time.

Last year, I watched a lot of Kathleen's original 1980s run on YouTube, and was surprised how much I enjoyed her. She and Cass were great together, and I loved how the show seemed to be trying to emulate classic screwball comedy/romances of the 30s with the pair of them. The 90s writers did her character a grave disservice when they brought her back.

So either Frankie or Kathleen, but I have to go with Frankie.

by Anonymousreply 70June 26, 2020 10:44 PM

R42 so talk about what you want to talk about instead of just bitching that nobody’s talking about what you want to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 71June 26, 2020 10:48 PM

I don't know which was his best but a "Same Time, Next Year" arrangement with Cecile could have been fun. Have all the women since her find out about it and give him grief.

I fucking love Cass when I see old episodes. I only wish I had appreciated him as much at the time. AW could go from excruciatingly bad to excellent and back several times a year but it felt as if we loyal viewers stayed in hope that things would get better for the characters we loved. Cass was one of those guys I liked no matter what but he was never a favorite. Looking back he should have been.

I seem to remember being VERY disappointed in Steve Schnechter when I found out he was married and not gay. I loved his voice.

More than anything, I loved how he played friendships, with women and men. His platonic friendship with Felicia was iconic.

Friday evening toast to Steve Schnechter, aka Cass Winthrop. Chin chin!

by Anonymousreply 72June 26, 2020 10:51 PM

I just finished the Hillary B. Smith - Scott Bryce - Gregg Marx Locher Room. I could listen to those guys forever. And HBS was very generous with her comments about Colleen Zenk Pinter. Really good stories about co-stars, Pyramid, their other work. Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 73June 26, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote] I loved his voice.

He has a very lucrative voice-over career, so when AW got cancelled he was fine, because it meant he would be available for more Voiceover workl

by Anonymousreply 74June 26, 2020 10:54 PM

R59 It's correct spelling is "Lavoisier" ... but no worry, it's a totally made up name anyway, with his real name being John-Paul Seponski.

Also, as far as I know, he's still single and has never been married. He had been hooked up with his OLTL co-star, Farah Fath, but that ended not long after the soap was canceled, and they'd moved to L.A.

by Anonymousreply 75June 26, 2020 10:59 PM

Vincent Irizarry apparently went off at a fan event about how pissed he was about the character assassination of Beth but said her thought Beth Chamberlin was doing a good job with the material given.

by Anonymousreply 76June 26, 2020 11:05 PM

R66

It is a testament to the writing & the actors that I wanted Cass with both Kathleen and Frankie. I adored both pairings so much that when Kathleen returned I wanted him to just split his time between them.

SS is one of the most charismatic soap actors ever. Cass was such a great character. He could play romance, comedy, loving friendship, etc... And then he was so fantastic as Marley's attorney during the rape & shooting of Jake.

by Anonymousreply 77June 26, 2020 11:05 PM

Stephen Schnetzer and Alice Barrett cast as a married couple on "The Following" in 2015

Watch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 26, 2020 11:08 PM

Cass reunites with Kathleen after 4 years of thinking she was dead

Stephen Schnetzer was so good in this scene, he should've gotten nominated for an Emmy, he could've won

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 26, 2020 11:10 PM

I guess he's another who never got an Emmy. Was he ever nominated?

by Anonymousreply 80June 26, 2020 11:13 PM

R80 once but lost to A Martinez of Santa Barbara

by Anonymousreply 81June 26, 2020 11:15 PM

R69 - The other one. The photographer.

by Anonymousreply 82June 26, 2020 11:17 PM

The best Rachel Cory storyline was when she was kidnapped and held for ransom by Sven. To this day I get excited when Sven shows up in that scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Nostalgia!!

by Anonymousreply 83June 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Thanks r81. I feel okay that he lost to A Martinez (one of the hottest good actors in soaps)

by Anonymousreply 84June 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Wow the AW person sure got busy posting nonstop AW posts. You go, girl just don’t spam the thread every 3 minutes please.

by Anonymousreply 85June 26, 2020 11:20 PM

I like the idea of a Same Time Next Year relationship for Cass and Cecile. That could have been fun. And it would have accommodated Nancy Frangione's schedule for her to just come in for a short arc every year.

Since Cass was with Kathleen first, she was my initial preference over Frankie. But Frankie certainly grew on me over time. So, I will say I was happy with both of them.

I despised the character of Lila. Hated that Cass ended up with her.

Yes, would have been nice if Stephen Schnetzer had gotten an Emmy. Certainly did Emmy winning work. But A Martinez was so good as Cruz on Santa Barbara. And I think Cruz and Eden is absolutely my favorite Super Couple of all time, so I have to say I'm very happy A got the Emmy that year.

David Canary was always good on AMC, but after the third or fourth Emmy, he'd proven himself. I wish he'd stepped aside after that point. No reason for him to keep submitting when there were so many other deserving actors. Same goes for Tony Geary. And Justin Deas.

by Anonymousreply 86June 26, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote]To this day I get excited when Sven shows up in that scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

So many of the ‘70s-era AW actors showed up on the big screen. Roberts Blossom (Sven) did a slew of movies and prime time TV shows until his death. Barbara Eda-Young, who played Sven’s niece, Regine, played Al Pacino’s love interest in Serpico. Dolph Sweet (Gil McGowan), Ann Wedgeworth (Lahoma Lucas) and Jacqueline Brooks ((Beatrice Gordon) were a few of the others who showed up on the big and small screen, before and after their AW runs.

But my biggest thrill was seeing Ray Liotta on the big screen in Something Wild — playing a character far removed from sweet Joey Perrini!

by Anonymousreply 87June 26, 2020 11:55 PM

ZZZZZZzzzzap! To r85.

by Anonymousreply 88June 27, 2020 12:02 AM

R88 What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 89June 27, 2020 12:24 AM

Test

by Anonymousreply 90June 27, 2020 2:32 AM

Late in my reply, but I liked Cass with Kathleen and Frankie, both.

And it was always fun when he was sparring with Cecile.

Nicole underwhelmed me and Lila was.....meh.

Of course, he should have worshipped Donna!

by Anonymousreply 91June 27, 2020 2:52 AM

Stephen Schnetzer had chemistry with everyone. I loved Cass & Kathleen, they reminded me of classic movie couples. But I also loved Cass & Frankie, I didn't know who to root for when Kathleen came back. Cass & Cecile were magic, too, though in a different way, I never would have accepted them as end game. I liked Cass & Lila, though I don't think that pairing was anywhere near the heights of the first two. Nicole was the only love interest I didn't care about, because that actress didn't do much for me.

I think Schnetzer never got an Emmy because he made it look so easy. He was so smooth. Long before the first Marvel movie was a glint in Stan Lee's eye, I thought Schnetzer would have made a great Tony Stark/Iron Man.

by Anonymousreply 92June 27, 2020 3:18 AM

R53, John Bolger (ex-'Phillip') played Gabe on AW and shared scenes with Judi. IT was like Beth and Faux Phil all over again

by Anonymousreply 93June 27, 2020 4:38 AM

saying "Cass, Kathleen and Cecile" was a mouthful.

by Anonymousreply 94June 27, 2020 4:39 AM

I never thought of that R93!

by Anonymousreply 95June 27, 2020 4:41 AM

this might belong in the emmy thread but I can't believe the following never won:

Liz Hubbard for Lucinda; Grant Aleksander for Phillip; Mary Kay Adams for India; Denise Alexander for Lesley Webber;

Jackie Zeman for early Bobbie Spencer or for that first year Carly came on and Bobbie caught her in bed with Tony.

by Anonymousreply 96June 27, 2020 4:42 AM

oh, duh and Beverlee McKinsey for trashing Raj at the country club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 27, 2020 4:44 AM

R93 Really? Any links?

by Anonymousreply 98June 27, 2020 5:49 AM

R98, no but here's some great Rachel/Sharlene stuff!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 27, 2020 6:21 AM

Have there been any updates on how Judi Evans is doing?

by Anonymousreply 100June 27, 2020 10:30 AM

Love that, R99. Love this even more. Lemay's short-lived refocusing of the show was magic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 27, 2020 12:06 PM

R100

EXTRA did an interview with a hospitalized Judi. It aired a week to 10 days ago. I'm sure you can find it on YT. She was still hospitalized but getting ready for discharge home. She went thru total hell.

The new SOD also has an interview with her about her ordeal.

by Anonymousreply 102June 27, 2020 12:32 PM

R99 R101 Yes! Such great stuff. I had just started to watch AW that August. It was my first soap opera ever. I could not understand why people put down this particular type of drama. It was terrific. I wish Pete Lemay could have stayed until he died. The show would never have gone off the air. Of course, I might never have watched ATWT, either. We'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 103June 27, 2020 12:49 PM

Everything's fuzzy after all this time. Why did Kathleen stay away after her accident & let everyone believe she was dead?

by Anonymousreply 104June 27, 2020 12:50 PM

If you mean the period from 86-91, R104, it's because she was in Witness Protection because she'd been threatened after working on an exposé of Carl. Her story involved a confidential source called "Signet", who turned out to be Grant Harrison (back when he was sickly from whatever that made-up ailment John cured him of was).

by Anonymousreply 105June 27, 2020 1:13 PM

Didn't she also let everyone think she was dead because the lives of her family & Cass were being threatened?

by Anonymousreply 106June 27, 2020 2:09 PM

R100 R102 I just came to comment that I've read the Judi Evans interview in SOD. She is recovering at home now, being seen by a pulmonary doctor. There's a bit of fluid in her lungs but they are hoping everything is OK in a few weeks.

Judi breaks down in tears when she talks about how supportive and helpful Deidre Hall has been. She also mentions Wally Kurth. No mention of others.

by Anonymousreply 107June 27, 2020 4:03 PM

R101 Lady Eyes-a-Buggin's eyes were SERIOUSLY bulging out as she yelled at Sharlene.

Rachel, you sanctimonious bitch, have you forgotten you came from the wrong side of the tracks? That you killed Sharlene's sister?

by Anonymousreply 108June 27, 2020 4:18 PM

Felicia Gallant & Sharlene Frame Catfight - Another World

Both ladies slap each other

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 27, 2020 4:20 PM

r109 Sharlene was right. Besides which, John and Felicia never made sense as a couple. Sorry, Jilly.

by Anonymousreply 110June 27, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote] Sorry, Jilly.

Jill Farren Phelps achieved something on Another World no other producer was able to do

She managed to push the show to its highest ratings, even moving AHEAD of Guiding Light for a week

by Anonymousreply 111June 27, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote]Jill Farren Phelps achieved something on Another World no other producer was able to do.

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 112June 27, 2020 4:32 PM

R112 Jill Farren Phelps achieved something on Another World no other producer SINCE PAUL RAUCH was able to do.

by Anonymousreply 113June 27, 2020 4:34 PM

AW's household rating, January 20-24, 1986, long after Rauch was gone: 5.8.

Highest household rating under Phelps: 3.7.

by Anonymousreply 114June 27, 2020 4:42 PM

R114 even with that rating in 1986 AW was never able to move AHEAD of any soap

JFP pushed AW Ahead of GL for one week. No producer since Paul Rauch was able to pull that off.

by Anonymousreply 115June 27, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote]Jill Farren Phelps achieved something on Another World no other producer was able to do.

Drive it into the fucking ground?

by Anonymousreply 116June 27, 2020 4:45 PM

R106, yes, Cass and Kathleen’s family being threatened was the main reason Kathleen stayed away.

by Anonymousreply 117June 27, 2020 4:52 PM

You keep moving the goalpost, R115.

by Anonymousreply 118June 27, 2020 4:52 PM

R109 turning Felicia into a homewrecker was so wrong, but those scenes are so good. Maybe it was almost worth it.

by Anonymousreply 119June 27, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote] You keep moving the goalpost,

Because ratings kept falling in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 120June 27, 2020 4:55 PM

Comparing anything pre-1995 with post 1995 is apples and oranges

by Anonymousreply 121June 27, 2020 4:56 PM

At least Jill didn't kill Felicia or Sharlene.

by Anonymousreply 122June 27, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote]Comparing anything pre-1995 with post 1995 is apples and oranges

More like apples and skunk shit.

by Anonymousreply 123June 27, 2020 4:57 PM

[quote]Because ratings kept falling in the 90s

Including GL’s, more precipitously than AW’s, so beating it for a week isn’t all that impressive.

by Anonymousreply 124June 27, 2020 4:58 PM

[quote] Including GL’s, more precipitously than AW’s

Actually GL achieved it highest ranking at #5 in the ratings in the 90s

It's highest ranking since the mid-80s

by Anonymousreply 125June 27, 2020 5:00 PM

During1990-92 OLTL and GH faltered in the ratings, and CBS benefitted. B&B and ATWT in particular shot up-in the summer of 1990 ATWT often hit second or third place. GL went up, peaking at fifth in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 126June 27, 2020 5:12 PM

R126 that was all pre-O.J.

After 1994 the ratings started to go down and never really recovered

by Anonymousreply 127June 27, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote] Actually GL achieved it highest ranking at #5 in the ratings in the 90s

Well, it sure wasn’t #5 when AW surpassed it for a week. GL ranked #8 in 94-95 and 95-96, when Phelps was at AW’s helm.

by Anonymousreply 128June 27, 2020 5:17 PM

R128 Guiding Light was pushed up to #5 during the clone storyline in 1998

by Anonymousreply 129June 27, 2020 5:20 PM

[quote] Kim Zimmer's book was a huge flop. It didn't even chart. Interesting how the only thing people mention about it is the blind item lie about Beth Ehlers clearly written by Zimmer's troll of a personal assistant. Literally every attack on Beth Ehlers on the internet comes from the same person, Zimmer's personal assistant. She has a long history of going online and smearing and slandering actresses she feels were a threat to her boss. Whether it was Michelle Forbes or Cynthia Watros or Laura Wright or Crystal Chappell or Beth Ehlers. Zimmer's assistant uses multiple accounts with different identities to spread her lies in order to appear as people who "agree" with her. She apparently has no life and spends every day attacking Beth Ehlers online. She made up the ridiculous Bogue story, the Watros story, and the Derwin story. There was no "fling" with Watros. Ehlers was not married when she started dating Derwin. Ehlers got divorced in the summer of 1991 and didn't start dating Derwin until Spring 1992. Derwin was obsessed with Ehlers. He pursued her heavily. She kept rejecting him, not wanting to date an actor. They broke up two years later in the Spring of 1994. Derwin did not want to get married and have children as Ehlers had wanted. Funny thing about the blind item: Zimmer never met Derwin or Ehlers' first husband. Zimmer had left GL by then (June of 1990). Zimmer returned to GL in late 1995.

Looks like Beth Ehlers is clearing the air about herself on another message board.

by Anonymousreply 130June 27, 2020 6:11 PM

r130

where? Any details?

by Anonymousreply 131June 27, 2020 6:26 PM

The multiple accounts thing is true - Zimmer and her groupies have always used this tactic. However, aside from Zimmer, Ehlers inability to distinguish between reality and fiction is well documented and known in ways beyond Zimmer's book. Not as bad as Vincent Irizarry who screwed everyone he was paired with, but close.

by Anonymousreply 132June 27, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote] Whether it was Michelle Forbes or Cynthia Watros or Laura Wright or Crystal Chappell or Beth Ehlers.

With the exception of Michelle Forbes, Kim is still friendly with Watros, Wight and Chappell and vice-versa.

by Anonymousreply 133June 27, 2020 7:02 PM

I know R130 is sharing things from another message board but *that* poster is a loon.

For one thing, Kim doesn't even identify Ehlers by name.

Secondly, the issue wasn't so much with how Derwin and Ehlers met or that time frame, but more the stuff that happened later. Ehlers was pretty well adjusted in early days and she would not have been the first to fall for a co-star. It was what played out with Bogue and why, and the aftermath of that, that's what became an issue.

There's also suggestions that the Watros/Zimmer conflict was fueled by Ehlers stirring up shit with Watros. As Beth and Cynthia were, uh, kinda close then.

by Anonymousreply 134June 27, 2020 8:04 PM

Zimmerman was not threatened by Ehlers. Ehlers was not in her league.

by Anonymousreply 135June 27, 2020 8:25 PM

Zimmerman?

LOL!

What a doofus!

by Anonymousreply 136June 27, 2020 8:30 PM

Lol it autocorrected to that. Of course it’s Zimmer the Great.

by Anonymousreply 137June 27, 2020 8:31 PM

I am not intiminated by anybbbburrrrrrrppppp!

by Anonymousreply 138June 27, 2020 8:35 PM

Love ya Kim Zimmerman!

by Anonymousreply 139June 27, 2020 8:38 PM

"Zimmerman" is about as funny as the troll who insisted on calling Robin Strasser Dorian Strasserman.

by Anonymousreply 140June 27, 2020 8:45 PM

R140, Who the fuck are you? Kim is in her cups! Help a girl out.

Don't call her out of her name, BITCH.

And YOU are the Robin Strasserman troll AND the Viki Sleezetack troll!

by Anonymousreply 141June 27, 2020 8:50 PM

Zimmer is the best actress hands down and I’m glad GL had her. There isn’t anything she can’t do. She was given her fair share of trash but when she was given great material she shined. Pam was the best writer for her. She would never allow the amount of trash Reva was given.

by Anonymousreply 142June 27, 2020 8:56 PM

Zimmer was a very solid actress and she deserved a lot of recognition.

She did what she could in later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 27, 2020 8:58 PM

Lucci should not be in the top 50.

by Anonymousreply 144June 27, 2020 9:05 PM

From nine years ago...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 27, 2020 9:05 PM

I’m still giggling over Zimmer saying on The Locher Room that maybe she and her son can do Sweet Bird of Youth together onstage. Has she read the fucking play? It’s clear that the two characters have had sex and he’s her paid-for stud.

by Anonymousreply 146June 27, 2020 9:06 PM

R143: Colleen Zenk and Kathryn Hays not in the Top 50? *sigh* Well, at least Lisa Brown made it, but still...

by Anonymousreply 147June 27, 2020 9:43 PM

R147 Zenk made that website's "Fans Strike Back" Top 50 List compiled about a month later in response to the panel's choices.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148June 27, 2020 9:56 PM

I know Kathy Hays was also mentioned as someone who garnered some votes, as did Anna Stuart. There was an honorable mention list somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 149June 27, 2020 11:31 PM

R146 Jake was so sour faced when he did that Locher Room session. Something is not right with him or with them.

by Anonymousreply 150June 28, 2020 12:14 AM

R149 Yes. here's the companion "Honorable Mention" List. This list was by decade, with Hays appearing in the 1970s group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 28, 2020 1:13 AM

Michelle Forbes is on that list!

by Anonymousreply 152June 28, 2020 2:17 AM

That list was so dumb when it came out. Sarah Felder, who was on Ryan’s Hope for two years, is not one of the best actresses to grace daytime. Neither is Patsy Pease or Deidre Hall. And Sarah Brown is NOT a better actress than Liz Hubbard.

by Anonymousreply 153June 28, 2020 2:47 AM

Sorry, new to posting on DL. This post below and a few others I'm about to repost because they are showing up in Ignored, and I'm not sure if I did that or other users. I signed up for the paid subscription to see if that'll help. I also don't know how to reply/tag to a reply (example: R46) Is there a help or FAQ that I'm not seeing.

Here was my second posting and I'll follow up with a few of the others that were under Ignored:

I thought the last big ratings bump for GL was the climax of Annie's trial in '97. Please don't tell me the clone story got it higher than that.

I'm new here, have been reading the other threads dying to be able to post on them but unable to now lol. I've forgotten probably half of what I wanted to comment on but here are some I remember:

Beth Ehlers was definitely the person Kim Zimmer wrote about in her book. I knew it right away when I read it because I knew about her and Mark Derwin, the first Mallet. I figured it out about her and the second Mallet because i saw at the time she and Bogue went with each other to an award's show. I knew she was married and I had the feeling they were more than friends. Then I wondered about her and RPG, but he pings for me and didn't he wear eyeliner in the 80s? That just makes it more obvious for me. But interesting that he and Rick Hearst made it obvious that they hooked up. Back on the subject when I heard that Ehlers and Cynthia Watros got done I could totally see it. I just watched their scenes again of Annie and Harley in the mental hospital and Cynthia seemed to butch it up.when Ehlers was with her.

I also knew that the rumors of Rick Hearst and Frank Beaty hooking up because they had more chemistry together than either one did with any of the female characters, especially Sonia (Lucy).

Same with Frank Grillo and the actor that played Rob. I knew watching those episodes when they were on that those two were hot for each other. They both were in the movie The Sweetest Thing, though Frank was on for a few seconds at the beginning. I was glad when my instincts were confirmed about Hearst/Beatty and Grillo/what's his name. Wendy Moniz had to know about those two. Either she was in denial, they had group sex or she was like just have sex with him and not tell me. Cause those two guys were definitely fucking.

I am surprised about Wendy Moniz being such a diva and not liked much by the cast. Especially her fling with McKinney. I had no idea about those things. But now that I've been watching the 1997 episodes on YouTube I'm starting to see it, and boy is it interesting! In a scene with Dinah, Hart, Matt and Vanessa it's funny to see Kurt keeping his distance from Wendy. His Matt is supposed to be upset and concerned that Vanessa is pregnant while she's still sick, but he stands being Maeve Kinkead while they all stand and talk. Then in a later scene they all walk to the front door and Matt/Kurt is last, still keeping that distance. And Wendy seems to be enjoying annoying Kurt, she has that twinkle in her eye even though that's not what Dinah is supposed to be doing.

by Anonymousreply 154June 28, 2020 3:42 AM

R154, we already read the same post on another thread. No need to repost.

by Anonymousreply 155June 28, 2020 3:45 AM

How come I can't see my posts that are in this thread? I saw my first one R9 but none of the others.

by Anonymousreply 156June 28, 2020 3:48 AM

I don't know, R156. Sounds like a technical issue to me.

by Anonymousreply 157June 28, 2020 3:52 AM

The locher room had the Bauer BBQ fundraiser chat this evening. Did anyone catch it? I need to check it out soon.

by Anonymousreply 158June 28, 2020 3:52 AM

R158 they had the two Mindy's side by side meeting for the first time

Amelia Marshall talks about her son getting racially profiled, about to be arrested by cops (for nothing) and when they find out he goes to Princeton, they do a 180 and let him go

by Anonymousreply 159June 28, 2020 3:56 AM

R158 I watched a bit. I do like most of the Locher room things but usually watch them after the fact

by Anonymousreply 160June 28, 2020 3:56 AM

[quote] they had the two Mindy's side by side meeting for the first time

oh, that's truly lovely. will have to check that out

by Anonymousreply 161June 28, 2020 3:59 AM

[R159]  Wait, was Kimberely Simms there also? I thought only Krista was the only actress that played Mindy that was going to be on today.

by Anonymousreply 162June 28, 2020 4:05 AM

Simms & Tesreau met for the first time

by Anonymousreply 163June 28, 2020 4:26 AM

I want more recasts to meet. Simms and Tesreau were funny together.

by Anonymousreply 164June 28, 2020 6:05 AM

What is “the guiding light,” exactly?

Does it help you through dark basements?

The names of some soaps are befuddling...

by Anonymousreply 165June 28, 2020 6:05 AM

R165 I think it's a religious reference.

[quote]The show's title refers to a lamp in the study of Reverend Dr. John Ruthledge, a major character when The Guiding Light debuted in 1937, that family and residents could see as a sign for them to find help when needed.

by Anonymousreply 166June 28, 2020 6:07 AM

R166 more so, even though Irma Phillips was Jewish she had been inspired by the liberal Christian preacher Preston Bradley. She credited his sermons with helping her spiritually after she had suffered a miscarriage. The creed of his People’s Church sounds like a soap opera epitaph itself “the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.”

by Anonymousreply 167June 28, 2020 6:17 AM

Sorry, I meant epigraph. Damn you autocorrect!

by Anonymousreply 168June 28, 2020 6:25 AM

R165 A Guiding Light is a well known saying. If you’re someone’s Guiding Light you are their moral compass, the light in their lives, the person they aspire to be. And so on.

by Anonymousreply 169June 28, 2020 6:27 AM

Zimmer's memoir speaks well of Lucci; I never knew them to be pals.

Then I realized that Zimmer and La Lucci used the same co-author.

Zimmer should have used someone else.

In her book, she didn't remember what she won her first Emmy for.

I, like many of her fans, could tell her it was hosting the Mr. Springfield contest and then some knockdown scenes with Josh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 28, 2020 6:42 AM

this episode comes right after; scenes in Reva's condo.

That later became Warren's; then Kyle's; then it was Alan's and connected to Spaulding Enterprises, I think.

These episodes are off the charts: Alex tells Lujack he's her kid; Phillip and Mindy are pregnant.

Lesley-Ann is dying;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 28, 2020 6:44 AM

JR Martinez rips Ehlers in his book; he quotes are saying when they kissed on AMC: "ewwwww. the new guy had onions'

and in the Bill Bell bio, there's a passage about how writers on another soap (not Y&R) couldn't write for a couple as they'd broken up in real life (I got the impression it was Ehlers and Bouge).

by Anonymousreply 172June 28, 2020 6:45 AM

I just watched it. Loved seeing the two Mindys together. It just wasn't long enough, I hope they can get them on together again.

I'd love to see Sherry Springfield on one of them.

It was great seeing Amelia Marshall, she was wonderful as Gilly. And how does she look better now than she ever did on GL. She looks stunning. I'm glad that she and Maureen Garrett are planning on doing a future reunion. These are great!

by Anonymousreply 173June 28, 2020 6:47 AM

GL will always have a special place in my heart.

That said, the show would have been served well by the returns over the years of Hope, Trish, Amanda, India, and other.s

Tobey Poser was a miscast; should not have been de-aged.

by Anonymousreply 174June 28, 2020 7:01 AM

[quote]I'd love to see Sherry Springfield on one of them.

I would, too. But she'd quit twenty minutes in.

by Anonymousreply 175June 28, 2020 7:24 AM

R172

It's well known that Ehlers was an absolute cunt to JR. She treated him like shit & didn't care who say it. She belittled him & thought he wasn't fit to be her love interest.

by Anonymousreply 176June 28, 2020 11:11 AM

[quote]I would, too. But she'd quit twenty minutes in.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 177June 28, 2020 3:11 PM

Had to search for this for a bit, I remembered one of the soap bloggers writing about the actual religious people who influenced Irna at the beginning of GL, R167 has it right.

While there was another minister (Coughlin) doing a lot of right wing stuff, Bradley's sermons were somewhat progressive for that time and had an impact on Irna Phillips - who had either had a miscarriage or an abortion, depending on who you ask, and then been abandoned by the married man she loved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 28, 2020 3:19 PM

Regarding Cass Winthrop and the return from the dead of his first wife Kathleen, it was fairly obvious from the outset Cass would end up with Frankie. The only relative Kathleen still had in town when she returned in 1991 was her cousin Jake. All of her immediate family members had moved away. Although Denise Alexander did return as her mother, Mary, for a few episodes when Kathleen returned from the dead.

If the McKinnon family (besides Jake) had still been living in Bay City in 1991, the stakes would have bee much higher in the Cass-Frankie-Kathleen triangle. There re would have been a stronger chance that Cass would have wound up with Kathleen. As it was, there was little hope for Cass and Kathleen to permanently end up together.

All that said, I thoroughly enjoyed the Cass-Frankie-Kathleen triangle since I liked all three characters. Wish it has played out much longer than 9 months. It could have gone on for several years.

by Anonymousreply 179June 28, 2020 3:24 PM

R176 I've always thought this was really rich considering, as others have pointed out, Ehlers was not beautiful enough to have commanded the long line of love interests that her character got over the years.

by Anonymousreply 180June 28, 2020 3:29 PM

I always liked her portrayal of Mindy but I am having a new appreciate for Kimberley Simms. She really did do wonderful things with the role of Mindy. (Although Tesreau's Mindy and Simms' Mindy really feel almost like two separate characters sometimes.)

She is still a beautiful woman, and seems to be very nice about her GL experience and costars.

by Anonymousreply 181June 28, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote] Although Tesreau's Mindy and Simms' Mindy really feel almost like two separate characters sometimes

and Tesreau said that, saying the only thing her Mindy and Simms' Mindy shared was the same name.

by Anonymousreply 182June 28, 2020 4:04 PM

I'm just wondering for all of Judi Evans past statements of certain Guiding Light's cast-members being mean to her, that maybe it was HER that was the problem.

Seeing Michael O'Leary, Grant Alexander and Krista Tesreau together on the webcast (and Vince Irrizary on a previous webcast) - they all seem to get along fine (except Irrizary sleeping with all his co-stars)

The only person that seems to be the odd person out is Judi Evans - mind you she was hospitalized, but before all this you could never get here to any Guiding Light alumni event.

She would do Another World alumni events, but never Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 183June 28, 2020 4:08 PM

Simms was such a drama queen!

(LOL not really, it's the title of the article)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 28, 2020 4:09 PM

R184 WOW a Four Musketeers Website, thanks for that!

by Anonymousreply 185June 28, 2020 4:11 PM

R183 I don't know that it was even Judi, because apparently the actors all got along at first. But for her last year, year and a half on the show she was dating one of the producers and that complicated things.

We know she isn't on bad terms with Grant, since there was a photo of them together when he visited DAYS, but it was telling on one of the Locher Room reunions when Mikey O'Leary left the room when she was being discussed.

Also? They were all in their twenties. Maybe they didn't handle it the best way back then. I can think of a few situations in my twenties I wish I'd handled differently!

by Anonymousreply 186June 28, 2020 4:12 PM

R185 You are welcome - it's been forever since I'd been on that site but I knew it existed

by Anonymousreply 187June 28, 2020 4:12 PM

R166 Which is why I liked the idea of, towards the end, a major character becoming a pastor. It helped to bring the show full circle. But, Josh Lewis was just not the character to do it with.

by Anonymousreply 188June 28, 2020 5:15 PM

I'd love to see Sherry Springfield on one of them.

I would, too. But she'd quit twenty minutes in.

Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 189June 28, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote]Josh Lewis was just not the character to do it with.

He would have been a good candidate if the story had been done a few years earlier.

And it would have given Zimmer a good Reva storyline, because having to become a minister's wife.....that would have been a lot to handle for the Slut of Springfield.

I see HOW it would have worked and ways it might have been fabulous, but they rushed it and did it at the wrong time, a little too late.

by Anonymousreply 190June 28, 2020 6:00 PM

I was one of the few who liked GLs earlier attempt to revive its religious themes with the character who was implied might have been an angel.

by Anonymousreply 191June 28, 2020 7:29 PM

Was he played by Marty West, r191, in nothing but a jockstrap, his baseball uniform down around his ankles?

by Anonymousreply 192June 28, 2020 7:36 PM

R192 - John Conboy

by Anonymousreply 193June 28, 2020 7:43 PM

John Conboy is the one who came up with Matt Bomer character being a male prostitute

by Anonymousreply 194June 28, 2020 7:44 PM

R175 That is hysterical! I do think she’d do the show.

Vincent did a Locher Room?

I don’t think Judi was the issue. She definitely got along with Krista and Vincent. Seems to have gotten along with Grant and John Bolger. None of them was the one who gave her hell for her Emmy win. Her dating the producer did cause issues. He was possessive and he made her last year unpleasant for her and her costars. It’s true it is curious she never did GL fan events and for a long time she didn’t seem to speak of her time on GL well but she gushed about Days and AW. We need the scoop. This is one backstage drama no one seems to truly have the scoop. None of our supposed insiders do. Simple- who gave her shit for her Emmy win, GLs first for acting? No one has ever named names.Not even Zimmer in her book.

by Anonymousreply 195June 28, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote] Vincent did a Locher Room?

He did, but for a All My Children webcast

by Anonymousreply 196June 28, 2020 9:05 PM

[quote] It’s true it is curious she never did GL fan events and for a long time she didn’t seem to speak of her time on GL

It was glaring on The Locher Room when they had Grant Alexander, Michael O'Leary and Krista Tesreau and No Judi -

It was really glaring

by Anonymousreply 197June 28, 2020 9:07 PM

Another 1990 ATWT episode.

And Bill Shanks still looking as fuckable as ever in this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 28, 2020 9:10 PM

Interesting comment on that clip that it's one of a few times we ever saw Lisa at the Snyders.

by Anonymousreply 199June 28, 2020 9:13 PM

Rare Video of Judi Evans winning the Emmy in 1984

Go 10:00 into video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 28, 2020 9:13 PM

R197 She’s recovering from COVID-19, broken bones and losing her only child. It wasn’t that glaring given all that.

by Anonymousreply 201June 28, 2020 9:13 PM

Amen R201.

Several Locher Room sessions have all had people expressing love and best wishes for Judi. Including the AW one.

by Anonymousreply 202June 28, 2020 9:15 PM

[quote] She’s recovering from COVID-19, broken bones and losing her only child. It wasn’t that glaring given all that.

Yes that was stated in R183

But was is her excuse from previous years when they have put together Guiding Light alumni reunions - that is my point

by Anonymousreply 203June 28, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote] Several Locher Room sessions have all had people expressing love and best wishes for Judi. Including the AW one.

We have mentioned that PRIOR to her hellish year, she always had time for anything involving AW - but she isn't interested in revisiting GL

So while people at GL are sending their love to Judi, PRIOR to her hellish year she wasn't returning the favor to the GL alumni

That is all I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 204June 28, 2020 9:19 PM

True she wasn’t but with Beth Chamberlin in her former role I think it is understandable. How many role originators go to those when the recast is currently playing their part?

by Anonymousreply 205June 28, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote] How many role originators go to those when the recast is currently playing their part?

Robin Strasser went to the Another World anniversary parties when Victoria Wyndham was playing the part

Margaret Colin & Justin Deas have went to ATWT anniversary parties when the roles were played by Ellen Dolan and Scott Holmes

There are other examples

by Anonymousreply 206June 28, 2020 9:41 PM

R206 How common is it? Judi definitely had issues with GL no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 207June 28, 2020 10:04 PM

Judi's on the West Coast and I imagine she might have been invited but was too busy to make the trip. Let us not forget she also has a job at a cemetery.

This is a rather curious detail to slice and dice to death.

by Anonymousreply 208June 28, 2020 10:04 PM

R206 Source for those claims?

by Anonymousreply 209June 28, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote] Judi's on the West Coast and I imagine she might have been invited but was too busy to make the trip. Let us not forget she also has a job at a cemetery.

These Guiding Light anniversary parties happened when she was on Another World

by Anonymousreply 210June 28, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote] Source for those claims?

In my Soap Opera Digest magazines

by Anonymousreply 211June 28, 2020 10:08 PM

I think her difficulty at GL is a real mystery that has never been solved. There’s been so much speculation but no confirmation. And I’ve chatted with Judi but she wouldn’t touch the subject. We’ve gotten so much information about other behind the scenes scandals except this. It’s frustrating. Lol

by Anonymousreply 212June 28, 2020 10:10 PM

R211 scan them or it didn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 213June 28, 2020 10:10 PM

r206

I haven't gone to a party at my old job.once I left.. I see the people who I became friends with but why would I go to party with people I don't know or work with anymore?

by Anonymousreply 214June 28, 2020 10:11 PM

R191, my understanding of the more spiritual and religious version of The Guiding Light is that everyone needed "guidance" to be the best they could. I doubt it had anything to do with cheesy religious miracles.

by Anonymousreply 215June 28, 2020 10:18 PM

Judi was so abused her last year on Guiding Light (by her ex-boyfriend who was a director) maybe the mention of Guiding Light just triggers all those bad memories

by Anonymousreply 216June 28, 2020 10:19 PM

I haven't blocked anyone for what they have said on Soap threads but there is someone missing from my feed on this thread.

That's all I needed to say. As they say in French, A Vos Risques

by Anonymousreply 217June 28, 2020 10:26 PM

Apparently he would berate Judi in front of the cast and she was getting so much story I’m sure there was jealousy. She was on at least 4 days a week.

by Anonymousreply 218June 28, 2020 10:27 PM

R200, thanks for the clip. What made it even more interesting is that Lauren Marie Taylor is right by her side beaming up at her during her interview with that Philadelphia reporter.

by Anonymousreply 219June 28, 2020 11:00 PM

R211 We'll need volume and issue number, date on the cover, and also the name of the store where you bought the magazine.

by Anonymousreply 220June 28, 2020 11:08 PM

R217 Are you sure you haven't blocked any one? You can check under your Ignored tab.

by Anonymousreply 221June 28, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote] How many role originators go to those when the recast is currently playing their part?

I recall there being a handful of such duos at the Days 50th Anniversary event back in 2015. These are the ones I remember. There could have been more.

Ashley Benson/Kate Mansi (Abigail Deveraux)

Kyle Lowder/Eric Martsolf (Brady Black)

Wayne Northrup/Josh Taylor (Roman Brady)

Casey Deidrick/Billy Flynn (Chad DiMera)

Jason Cook/Brandon Beemer .. although who exactly was playing the role of Shawn-Brady at the time of the event escapes me. I think Cook may have been on screen, but Beemer was set to replace him again.

by Anonymousreply 222June 28, 2020 11:13 PM

Wayne has long had friends at DAYS and came back in the last decade to play a different role. The others have been cast members relatively recently. And a 50th anniversary makes sense.

GL has had limited reunions in person (prior to COVID) and usually it was the Bowling/Bauer BBQ that had the same handful of people most years until this year. It was usually Liz Keifer and Jerry, Zimmer, Frank D and whoever else was nearby and available.

by Anonymousreply 223June 28, 2020 11:16 PM

R186, that's it exactly; I probably didn't handle everything right in my 20s and these four had fame and money thrown at them.

Imagine living in NY being on a highly rated soap, getting to work; NO internet; making money, being on your own as an adult.

Joshua Morrow told a story about Jeanne Cooper walked up on to him after meeting him at the studio; he's 19, adorable and a TV star.

She grabbed his cheeks (on his face) and said "Oh....the girls are going to lovvvve you. (Beat.) Don't be stupid."

by Anonymousreply 224June 28, 2020 11:32 PM

Judi was in an relationship with GL director John Whitsell. It seems to have been an abusive relationship or at least had undertones of an abusive relationship. Whitsell, when directing, would berate Judy in front of the entire studio instead of taking her aside like he would do with every other actor. Thus he humiliated her in front of her coworkers regularly. No telling what kind of verbal abuse she got when they were alone.

At the same time, Grant and Michael O'Leary were known to tease her. As we've heard over and over again in these Locker Room interviews, O'Leary was the class clown, the joker and the prankster on the set. It isn't a far stretch to think that O'Leary would also be teasing her. It probably started as good natured teasing but gradually evolved into more pointed and biting teasing as these things typically do.

Grant and Michael were thick as thieves so, I'm sure Grant joined in the teasing. I sincerely doubt either of them meant to be malicious and mean spirited, but from Judi's perspective, it likely evolved into such nastiness and harrassment.

Likely there was also some jealousy about Judi being the first person to win an acting Emmy. Some of that jealousy likely came out in the teasing her about winning. Imagine being honored with an acting Emmy and rather than support from your coworkers, at least the ones she worked with most often, she got teased and harassed about. What should have been one of her finest moments became a source of pain.

It's no wonder she bolted the moment her contract was up and has no interest in looking back on it.

by Anonymousreply 225June 29, 2020 1:59 AM

Was he played by Marty West, [R191], in nothing but a jockstrap, his baseball uniform down around his ankles?

Mmmm, thank you for that visual [R192] ! Marty was so hot. I wonder if it's true that he was Conboy's boy toy. I knew the executive producer then had to be gay when there were so many hot, young guys hired. Marty as Shane, Matthew Bomer as Ben, Nico and Joey. I had fantasies when Nico helped a disabled Shayne. I'm sure that was what Conboy thought also, that old queen lol.

by Anonymousreply 226June 29, 2020 2:08 AM

O'Leary is so proud of that story where Rick says VCR instead of CPR.

Ha-larious. But what would the experienced, trained performers like Bill Roerick or McKinsey have felt about that.

Buddy (with two men) relationships on soaps are rare. And on Y&R and B&B they're practically non-existent. When guys on Y&R hug, they'll pound on each others backs like they're trying to dislodge a piece of crusted bread from their windpipes.

GA and MOL really sell that 'we're buddies off screen,' but I get the hint that's more for press than it is in reality.

by Anonymousreply 227June 29, 2020 4:23 AM

We need to have a Locher Room where GA shares details of pendulousness with us.

by Anonymousreply 228June 29, 2020 4:25 AM

The angel character was Zachary, as played by Brody Hutzler. The show certainly dropped some hints Zachary might be an angel, but always left it vague.

The show was also considering making Zachary into Reva's brother. This was circa 1996. If you recall, when Sarah Shayne was dying and confessed she had another child, she said she gave it up instantly. She never even knew if it was a boy or a girl. Reva repeated the fact she didn't know if it was a boy or a girl many times as she began her search for this never before mentioned sibling. That was to give the show time to advance the plot while deciding which direction to go with this new character.

As for the character of Zachary, he was written out about 6 months after his debut. Brody Hutzler went on to Days where he played Patrick Lockhart, the son of Judi Evans' Bonnie Lockhart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229June 29, 2020 4:54 AM

R229 Ah yes, Zachary, I remember. He helped Vanessa fake her death and then was her tie to Springfield while she convalesced in Zurich. He seemed to have super powers, including instant trans-Atlantic flights to see Vanessa and back while characters in other scenes barely had lunch. I wasn't sure if it was hint-dropping or just plain stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 230June 29, 2020 5:02 AM

Who wrote that mess? The worst.

by Anonymousreply 231June 29, 2020 5:04 AM

I think the last BIG gala on the show was GL's 60th in January 1997. The country club ballroom was expanded to accommodate everyone.

And kudos to the show for extending invitations to past cast members and including so many characters: Nola, Quint, Jenna, Harley, Mike all back for the gala.

Mike and Alan sparred over Hope like it was 1981 all over again. Reva in a red dress -- initially separated from Josh; she dances with Billy, who says I was wondering when the old Reva was going to come back. Kim quipped: "I'm back. I didn't want to come back. But I'm back."

I'm being picky here, but Mary Stuart was never Meta to me. She was Jo. Plus, she'd been gone for so long. The show dropped the ball by not having more classic characters come back: Hope, the real Amanda, India, Ed, Rita (!), But we got a scene with Vanessa at the end. Some Roger and Holly scenes -- though the Internet was abuzz back then by then with what was up with Zaslow's voice?

That shot at the end where Josh and Reva are on top of the lighthouse and the light engulfs them just as they kiss was a great money shot.

Some nitpicky stuff but Michael Dietz was not a good Alan-Michael; it was criminal not to bring Beth back; pairing Harley and Phillip was ....wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232June 29, 2020 5:25 AM

For a long time I couldn’t figure out who Barack Obama reminded me of and it finally dawned on me-it’s Grant Aleksander. They have similar speech patterns.

by Anonymousreply 233June 29, 2020 2:03 PM

R229 I've heard a few things about Sarah's baby - we know the show considered a dual role for Zimmer - but have NEVER heard that about Zachary.

Where did you hear or see that?

by Anonymousreply 234June 29, 2020 3:22 PM

This must have been right after all four Musketeers were cast and on air. They were really something special. Very assured for a young group of actors and characters.

And Nola gets married!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 29, 2020 4:15 PM

r235

The camera just lingered on Grant's dong and the 20 dollars comment cracked me up

by Anonymousreply 236June 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Yeah, they weren't even subtle about the camera shots.

There's one we've discussed many times (I think from the clip in one of the opening montages where Mindy is stretching) where Grant is clearly aroused and it's very visible during that scene.

by Anonymousreply 237June 29, 2020 5:26 PM

I read the soap mags religiously but somehow missed when they announced Mary Stuart would come to GL as Meta.

When I watched the anniversary gala in 1997 and saw her......and all the memories of Bert Bauer AND SFT's Jo came to me.......I cried.

by Anonymousreply 238June 29, 2020 8:05 PM

Reportedly, this thread has been Murieled after just five days.

New thread link below. Be sure to bring sunscreen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 29, 2020 10:28 PM

Grant's thighs...geez Louise. I think I read in an interview where he said he was a chubby kid. I do/don't want to see those pics.

He's always so freaking modest when they bring up his body -- which is still nothing to ignore -- in the locker room.

by Anonymousreply 240June 29, 2020 10:36 PM

Those thighs....well, it was part of a certain Awakening for me.

by Anonymousreply 241June 29, 2020 10:59 PM

little Judi Evans

my goodness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242June 30, 2020 5:09 PM

Rick Bauer, son of Leslie and Ed, should NEVER have been comic relief and secondary to Phillip Spaulding. Making him a Fred Mertz was too stupid to believe.

by Anonymousreply 243June 30, 2020 5:16 PM

maybe Phil MacGregor could have been sent to acting class; he did manage to get a gig on LOVING after GL canned him.

what that must have been like for NY actors.

"I got fired at the soap."

"Oh, man! That sucks!"

"Yeah, but I got another one."

"oh, GREAT! Which one?"

"Um. I'm on LOVING now."

"................oh."

O'Leary did schtick for most of his GL run. I don't get how that was tolerated by a shown known for its acting.

by Anonymousreply 244July 1, 2020 4:23 PM

Folks, we are over at the new thread (see below)

You all are, of course, welcome to continue here but as it's been Muriel'd only a limited audience can reply.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 1, 2020 4:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!