Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The 2020 Bauer Barbecue

The annual Bauer Barbecue! Always lots of fun whether you're soaking in the hot tub, rendezvousing with your secret lover, breaking up with your current lover or parachuting into town after being SORASed.

I look forward to it every year. It's coming up this week and you know it will be fabulous.

What are you planning to bring to this year's festivities? And no, Emma, we don't need a Hubbard squash. But Ada, your dish towel is always welcomed.

by Anonymousreply 289July 8, 2020 5:08 AM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2020 10:30 PM

2020 Bauer Barbecue @ The Locher Room, 6/27/20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2020 10:33 PM

That was way too fast to be muriel’d. Ugh.

My own family started an annual 4th of July bbq because of the Bauer bbq.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2020 10:41 PM

We're going so fast these days, it's no surprise we get Mur'd so quickly.

Thanks for the great thread title, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2020 10:58 PM

r3 r4 WHET Rachel Cory made it to 241 before Murielization took place.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2020 11:01 PM

R5 Yes, which might be close to a new record for our Marvelous Midwestern Towns!

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2020 11:06 PM

Parachuting into the barbeque, as one does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2020 11:07 PM

Lacey Bauer had such potential...NOT. The girl was a professional gymnast, wasn’t she? I vaguely remember Lacey was hoping to go to the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2020 11:20 PM

I get to snack on Carl T Evans hotdog.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] I vaguely remember Lacey was hoping to go to the Olympics.

If so, they should have made her a figure skater, CBS still broadcasted the Winter Olympics at that time. I doubt CBS wanted to air anything that could be seen as promoting the Summer Olympics on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2020 11:34 PM

I once attended the Bauer Barbecue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2020 12:00 AM

I can’t see 11. Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2020 2:02 AM

Charita Bauer was top billed on Guiding Light

Guiding Light

Starring

Charita Bauer

As

Bert Bauer

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2020 2:05 AM

R12 It means it's someone you blocked.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2020 3:44 AM

[quote]It means it's someone you blocked

In this case, with good reason.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2020 3:50 AM

R14 I said that on purpose. I know who I blocked here. Lol

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2020 4:26 AM

Funny, I have that one blocked as well.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2020 4:28 AM

what does Muriel mean? You have to pay? I know times are tough but it's $1.50 a month. Do-able?

Lacey was cast, I believe, before Pam came back and she jettisoned her in favor of Harley, yes, the actress was of limited range, but at the end of the day Harley was a pissed off Reva wanna-bee, ball-busting men left and right.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2020 4:31 AM

Harley wore thin after awhile. You could see Beth Ehlers making acting decisions to make her relatable. It’s hard to explain.

To pay at yet another site is yet another site where my information is out there. I just feel like I’m nickel and dime to death and too many sites have my information. I dunno maybe that’s stupid but it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2020 4:37 AM

Did anyone see the Locher Room with Maura and Michael Park?

He tells this story about how Jon Hensley told him that the writers were going to reveal that Jack was gay (because Park wasn't connecting enough with any of his leading ladies).

Park tells the story and West says...nothing. Finally, she chimes in...and if they had made Jack gay that would've been okay....that wouldn't have mattered.

LOVE HER.

got to 7:30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2020 4:40 AM

Today would have been 68 years on TV for GL.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2020 3:01 PM

R12 11 is Scoche Marin

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2020 3:25 PM

Let's not even say that name here, please.

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2020 3:36 PM

The primetime special to mark the 40th year on TV - which played 5 years after the 50th anniversary (confusing).

Featuring the Goddess herself, La Bev.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2020 3:39 PM

Any of you remember the GL TV movie with Lauren Hutton. I don't remember any details but I know I watched it and was disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2020 3:43 PM

Something about the Cradle Rocked. There were about four GL characters in it but none significantly. Ross had the biggest role and at least Bert and I think Hope appeared.

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2020 3:45 PM

Yes, Lauren Hutton was Hope's best friend. I think Leslie Ann was there too, maybe for a few seconds.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2020 3:54 PM

R18 I would pay if there were more premium features to make it worth it. From what paying members have said, the board is still barely functional even after you pay. Plus, I just feel wrong funding Muriel’s drinking habit.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2020 3:59 PM

The Cradle Will Fall is the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2020 4:01 PM

I saw Hope, Ross and Ed. Supposedly Charita was also in this but it must have been for a second and I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 4:22 PM

Didn’t Warren Andrews first appear in The Cradle Will Fall, then he was brought onto the show ?

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote] Charita was also in this but it must have been for a second and I missed it.

Charita appears at the one hour nine minute mark

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 4:31 PM

Bless your heart, R32, I knew someone would find out for us!

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 5:46 PM

I loved the year GL won best show Emmy in the 80s and during the closing credits they were all "Yeah, bitches, we won!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 9:19 PM

I wish American networks would do like the BBC, they have some shows like Father Brown, Land Girls, The Coroner, etc. that are daytime programs that only run for a week or two at a time. The networks here could do that with their cancelled soaps, instead of fully bringing them back they could do one or two week a year versions based on the originals, that would just focus on select characters. With some of the older ones like Search For Tomorrow, they could make them a period piece going back to the original source material.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 11:37 PM

Or have them several times a year. They should have tried GL and ATWT at 30 mins first.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 11:43 PM

Channel grazing tonight and happened upon a scene in a Law & Order rerun on WE with Mary Kay Adams and Jean LeClerc playing parents of a young boy who, I think, had posed for some “gay” photographs. LeClerc’s character gasped out “Gay?” and put his head in his hands and I nearly choked on my fish sticks. Adams’ character reassured her husband that their son wasn’t gay.

by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2020 12:45 AM

Someone said this in the previous thread:

[quote]Rick Bauer, son of Leslie and Ed, should NEVER have been comic relief and secondary to Phillip Spaulding. Making him a Fred Mertz was too stupid to believe.

I was always disappointed Rick played second fiddle to Phillip throughout the show. Rick being subordinate to Phillip to the point that Phillip slept with all of Rick's women in the 1980s was really distasteful. At least they moved away from that in the 90s.

I suspect a large part of that was casting. Michael O'Leary as we're hearing over and over was the jokester and prankster on set. That likely influenced how they wrote for him.. Meanwhile, Grant was very serious and didn't seem to crack a smile often. That influenced how they wrote for Phillip.

Plus Grant was a stronger actor.

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2020 1:40 AM

The much beloved Gregorzik from the early days of these DL soap threads would have agreed with you r38. He believed the Bauer should have been the stud and I tend to agree.

by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2020 1:46 AM

Well, the first teen Rick (Philip McGregor, brought on the same time as Aleksander) was very pretty but a very weak actor. He was let go from Loving in a contract role the year after, I think. McGregor and Aleksander apparently stayed friends for many years. I like to think it was because McGregor gave expert blowjobs which helped Aleksander relieve pressure at times.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2020 4:14 AM

Otalia were supposed to come out together as a couple at the 2009 BBQ.

by Anonymousreply 41July 1, 2020 4:38 AM

I would have helped GA relieve any pressure at any time.

Man, it would be amazing to gulp that down.......

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2020 4:49 AM

Go to 1:25:04 The 9th Annual Daytime Emmys (1982); it was a 90 minute show on CBS.

Charita Bauer and Don McLaughlin (!!!) present the Emmy for best soap.

GL wins and the new disco theme blasts throughout the room.

Think about it; this was for the year 1981 -- Luke and Laura's wedding, the Ice Princess...Cassadines... yet they were no match for Nola Reardon and Carrie Todd; the Spauldings, and the Bauers...Henry and Vanessa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2020 5:45 AM

R43 Fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2020 5:51 AM

R43 wow, nice find!

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2020 5:59 AM

Go to the writing clip about 12-15 minutes before; once again Chris Bernau presents, this time with Elvera Roussel, the writing award;

they show some clips (Sky and Raven!) and a great GL clip with Tony and Katie and the camera dissolves from the clip of Katie to the ballroom live on her portrayer Denise Pence....they don't do beautiful stuff like this anymore.

To go from that to a Zoom ceremony or even the online stuff they did the last few years; Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2020 6:14 AM

Thanks r46 but nah, I'm not hopping around to your tune like some slave.

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2020 6:27 AM

R39

I really miss Gregorzik on these threads. I also miss the guy whose family worked for P&G. His name was something that started with the letter "E". Ehrenstein or something like that. He had loads of info.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2020 10:25 AM

Yeah, Gregorzik was great. But he took a lot of abuse so I don't blame him for being on the down low.

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2020 12:56 PM

Thank you for the 1981 Emmy link! Funny how Chris Bernau calls the show "THE Guiding Light". It's great seeing Doug Marland accept the writing award. I can't believe how long the clips are before the writing award is announced. Lisa Brown was VERY excited to see her show win! LOL.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2020 2:08 PM

Yes, that Emmy video is great! Thanks for sharing it.

A young Patrick Mulcahey standing behind Marland during the acceptance speech was quite a looker.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2020 2:31 PM

R51 OMG THAT was Mulcahey? Wow, I didn't put that together, Liz!

That whole thing is a find! I've never seen so much of Marland speaking at one time!

They must have had tables where shows would "mingle" together because there are several Y&R performers at the GL table where Charita is sitting - I think Jamie Lyn Bauer is there and if I am not mistaken, Terry Lester, too.

And this is 1982. Was it before or after Douglas flounced because Allen Potter cancelled the Carrie Todd story?

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2020 2:38 PM

At 32 minutes in you can see Richard Simmons win an Emmy.. lol

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2020 2:53 PM

Jane Elliot's final air date was July 2, 1982. Emmy show aired on June 8, 1982.

Marland left the show in August 1982 with his final scripts airing in mid Sept. So, not sure whether he'd turned in his notice by the time of the Emmys. He certainly didn't seem like a man who was about to leave his HW position as he accepted that award.

As I recall, Carrie Todd's departure was abrupt. Just one episode, maybe two, for goodbyes. Perhaps Jane Elliot was fired right after the Emmy show and Marland hastily wrote her final episodes. Back in those days, typical tape date for all NYC soaps was 2 weeks before air date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2020 2:54 PM

FYI If anyone wants to discuss Brian Bloom, there's a new thread about him linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2020 2:59 PM

R54 That sounds about right. Lots of joy at the Emmys and then the Carrie Todd decision probably happened soon after they went back to work.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2020 3:05 PM

Speaking of GL writers

Today at 3 pm Eastern is the Locher Room with various GL writers

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2020 3:06 PM

[quote] Today at 3 pm Eastern is the Locher Room with various GL writers

Will he ask them watch they've been watching during the quarantine?

by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2020 3:28 PM

Doug was praising Aggie Nixon in this speech; why do that unless he was planning on going to ABC to team up with her for LOVING?

Imagine those GH folks sitting there, coming off the best year ever and losing to GL, and the writer whom Gloria let walk out the door.

She supposedly wanted Doug in LA; he wasn't moving. She also wanted conflict for newlyweds Scott and Laura, but Doug wanted them to be happy for a bit.

I heard someone asked Kin what made Scotty turn so evil...He took a beat and said...'Well, this guy RAPED his wife...and suddenly, Scotty was the bad guy..." Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2020 4:18 PM

I forgot they worked together after this, R59. I was originally thinking Doug's shout out to Aggie was a bit of shade.

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2020 4:20 PM

R58, he’ll no doubt ask them if they’ve been watching Ozark. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Tom Pelphrey is great in the latest season, we got it, already.

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2020 4:25 PM

DO YOU REMEMBER YOUR FIRST DAY?????????????????

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2020 4:26 PM

I don't remember seeing much of Anna Stuart's time as Vanessa on GL but indeed here it is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2020 6:42 PM

[quote]I don't remember seeing much of Anna Stuart's time as Vanessa on GL but indeed here it is!

With Jennifer Leak, who famously cuckolded John Randolph as Olive on AW.

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2020 6:47 PM

Now I'm hearing that creepy music when Evan Webster died.

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2020 6:49 PM

And I'm seeing the black screen over which the credits ran while Olive wailed after discovering Evan's dead body.

(I wish I could hear that piece of music again.)

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2020 6:51 PM

Another find!

Alan telling Reva "You will NEVER be a Lewis!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2020 6:55 PM

R67 great find. What a cast back then!

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2020 7:00 PM

I found it r66. It's the whole episode, audio only,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2020 7:05 PM

Thank you, R69! I FFed to the end to hear the music -- almost Dark Shadows=esque.

by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2020 7:06 PM

Yes! Very Dark Shadows-esque.

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2020 7:09 PM

R51

Mulcahey is still an incredibly hot man.

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2020 8:31 PM

Alan's relationship was Reva was far from over.

They reconnected in 1987 when Reva, having lost Josh, was living it up at the country club, flirting with married day player men, pissing off their wives. Regis asks Reva to leave as her membership was long revoked and the Lewises were over her.

Alan steps in: "Regis. Miss Shayne is my guest. See to it she gets everything she wants."

And it was on.

Alan takes Reva home, she tells him about eating garbage out of a can. She says it's over between her and Joshua.

"And how many times has it been 'over' between you and Josh Lewis -- it's time for a new regime." (only he says it 'RAY-geem.')

Then it was on...and climaxed at the Spaulding Centennial; Phillip takes control #goldenage

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2020 8:51 PM

R73 I have been looking for that episode (or series of them) on YouTube for eons and eons.

I know it's near September 1987 but GL on YT skips from August to December in 1987,

by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2020 9:12 PM

I’m still looking for the GL episode which introduced Roxie. I think it was in September or October 1984.

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2020 9:17 PM

According to this, Roxie debuted in Sept 1984, but does not have the exact date. Usually SoapCentral has the exact dates for most of the other GL characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2020 9:24 PM

Weird to hear Marland thank Brian Frons in that acceptance speech.

I'd forgotten that Frons' path of destruction went through all three networks, starting at CBS.

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2020 9:26 PM

Olive Gordon Randolph was such a great villainess on AW. Jennifer Leak did such a good job with that role. And she was a major force on AW for three years, 1976-1979.

There's virtually nothing of Olive on YouTube. . Such a shame! If there were, I guarantee you we P&G queens on DL would be talking about her frequently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2020 9:37 PM

300 disposable, three-ply, nonsurgical face masks.

by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2020 9:42 PM

Something that always puzzled me as a kid. If Alan Spaulding (as played by Chris Bernau) is such a rich man, why doesn't he wear a better toupee?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2020 9:42 PM

r79 Wrong thread?

by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2020 9:43 PM

I'd love to stop by, but I'll be at the Annual Horton ⏳ Brady Fourth of July Blowout.

by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2020 9:44 PM

Does anyone know the AW date where Cass told Vicky about Marley's rape? She went into the court bathroom & tore it apart.

So many folks are uploading AW episodes but I have no idea what the date might be in order to narrow it down.

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2020 9:47 PM

No, r81.

Look for the red pick with the flag on the roof.

I'll be selling masks and fireworks from the back of my truck.

Then I'm heading out to Genoa City for some real fun.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2020 9:48 PM

Oops .....red pick-up !

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2020 9:49 PM

the youtuber that uploaded the daytime emmys from 1981, 1985, 1986 & 1990 just got this account terminated for copyright infringement

good thing I downloaded them before he got yanked

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2020 9:59 PM

R78, I’ll always remember that Olive (via Lemay) was fond of using the word “undermine.” And after she was gone Rachel used it, mostly to describe Iris.

by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2020 10:01 PM

[quote] She supposedly wanted Doug in LA; he wasn't moving. She also wanted conflict for newlyweds Scott and Laura, but Doug wanted them to be happy for a bit.

Actually it was more than that - Marland said while there were major conflicts between himself and Gloria, that wasn't the straw that broke the camels back

It was the fact all the credit went to Gloria Monty for GH going to number 1 - and the fact Gloria would never acknowledge Marland part in the rating going up. You can have the most slick production values for the soap. But it goes nowhere if you don't have a story.

He wanted credit where credit was due. And he wasn't getting it with Monty taking all the credit, so that is the main reason he left.

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2020 10:05 PM

R86 It's why we should be careful about posting stuff here...

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2020 10:06 PM

R88 Why did she get all the credit anyway? On our beloved and righteous P&G soaps, Writer was credited first before Executive Producer until the mid-90s. Was that not the case on the heathen, barbarian ABC soaps?

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2020 10:09 PM

I remember it mentioned several times that when one went to Marland's Connecticut estate and used the guest bathroom, one was greeted with a photo of Monty.

by Anonymousreply 91July 1, 2020 10:12 PM

The writers' version of the Locher Room was on today.

Interesting, though not truly groundshaking.

Thing I learned today by watching: Millee Taggart's name is not pronounced "Millie" but almost like M'Lynn from Steel Magnolias: M'Lee.

by Anonymousreply 92July 1, 2020 10:13 PM

[quote] Why did she get all the credit anyway?

It is an LA vs NY thing, where Gloria went where no soap had gone before. Making the producer one of the stars of the show. She gave countless interviews in an effort to promote the show. General Hospital & Gloria Monty became one and the same.

by Anonymousreply 93July 1, 2020 10:19 PM

R93 I think it also had to do with the fact that Marland was already at GH and it was still close to getting cancelled. Monty was brought in as a last ditch effort to save it, and it was. It seems obvious that it was a combination of the talents of the two of them, but they both had large egos. And, Monty was better at playing the game.

by Anonymousreply 94July 1, 2020 10:34 PM

Not that I want this to turn into a GH thread, but I thought Monty hired Marland?

by Anonymousreply 95July 1, 2020 10:38 PM

Denise Pence came off pretty badly in that GL reunion. Like, bitch, a new producer and headwriter came on board and decided you weren’t a good fit for their show, get over it. And then she harped on and on that they sent her character away with...a DAY PLAYER! So she thought another contract player should have been written off solely to escort Katie out of Springfield? Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 96July 1, 2020 10:40 PM

Damn, Mulcahey was a fine piece of ass in 1981.

not bad today for an old grizzled leather top but seeing him all big and blond.....well, as Madeline Kahn would say, WOOF.

by Anonymousreply 97July 1, 2020 10:40 PM

R91, in a podcast Pam Long mentioned Gloria Monty’s photo being in Marland’s john.

by Anonymousreply 98July 1, 2020 10:42 PM

I think it's been mentioned in one of these Locher room sessions, too. Maybe one of trhe ATWT ones, I think.

by Anonymousreply 99July 1, 2020 10:45 PM

R95 No. Marland started in 1977, right after leaving The Doctors. Gloria Monty didn't start until Jan. 2, 1978.

by Anonymousreply 100July 1, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote] Marland started in 1977, right after leaving The Doctors. Gloria Monty didn't start until Jan. 2, 1978.

He first day on the job she threw out the previous 5 shows that were just filmed and demanded a rewrite and reshoot PRONTO

That must of really endeared Monty to Marland.

by Anonymousreply 101July 1, 2020 11:02 PM

Even the Wiki article says that Monty hired Marland.

He was, in any case, only at GH for two to three months before Gloria arrived.

[quote] That must of really endeared Monty to Marland.

That must HAVE really endeared Monty to Marland, you mean.

by Anonymousreply 102July 1, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote] That must HAVE really endeared Monty to Marland, you mean.

yes thank you

by Anonymousreply 103July 1, 2020 11:06 PM

My mother switched back to Guiding Light around the time of the ice princess story. She said General Hospital got so ridiculous and stupid she couldn’t watch it anymore. She’s always been a lifelong Guiding Light viewer but checked out General Hospital for the hype but quickly regretted it after a year.

by Anonymousreply 104July 1, 2020 11:08 PM

r83, it's December 26 of that year (1989 or 1990--I am blanking) but it's never been uploaded anywhere, though the episodes bordering it have. I have been dying to see it--Anne Heche is incredible registering Marley's rape as Vicky (pretending to be Marley) and then trashing the bathroom once she could get away from Cass.

by Anonymousreply 105July 1, 2020 11:16 PM

R102 I saw that on Wikipedia, as well. But the dates just don't add up. She couldn't have hired him since he went straight from The Doctors to GH in 1977, and she didn't start until Jan. 1978. I think the idea that she hired him was part of her PR. If she had hired him, she wouldn't have been able to throw out the episodes he had written and demand they be rewritten. In fact, both of them were hired by ABC executives to try to save the show. They managed to save the show, together.

by Anonymousreply 106July 1, 2020 11:21 PM

To bad they saved it. They became so smug after they shot to #1. All ABC shows were. But GL was right there in the thick of things. Then Y&R dethroned them in 85 for good.

by Anonymousreply 107July 1, 2020 11:33 PM

[quote] Something that always puzzled me as a kid. If Alan Spaulding (as played by Chris Bernau) is such a rich man, why doesn't he wear a better toupee?

I don't think it's so bad. Not at all. I have seen much worse.

by Anonymousreply 108July 1, 2020 11:53 PM

I think Spaulding-Bernau's toupee looks pretty standard for the era (e.g. Howard Cossell, Sam Donaldson, Frank Sinatra, etc.), and probably points to the reason why the term "rug" came about.

by Anonymousreply 109July 2, 2020 1:14 AM

[quote] And then she harped on and on that they sent her character away with...a DAY PLAYER! So she thought another contract player should have been written off solely to escort Katie out of Springfield? Give me a fucking break.

I didn't understand her to be saying that at all. I was watching at the time and Louie was always pestering her to date him and he totally seemed beneath and unworthy of her, especially since Katie had been a much loved character so long. It was very lazy and sloppy writing. Sending Katie away to a better job or teaching position or something would have been much more dignified and appropriate.

Writers should respect the characters. If they don't want to write them, get rid of them in a way that respects the audience's investment in them.

by Anonymousreply 110July 2, 2020 1:48 AM

R110, it’s exactly what she said-“I was written out with a DAY PLAYER!” Katie apparently got married to a basketball player (obviously not Louie).

by Anonymousreply 111July 2, 2020 3:30 AM

In all my years of discussing GL or reading message boards/soap sites that did, in all of the many pre-1985 GL characters where fans cried out for their return, I can't remember more than a few random mentions of Katie Parker.

I've seen interviews with Denise elsewhere where you'd have thought Katie Parker was the Victoria Lord Buchanan of Springfield.

I do think perhaps her opinion/perspective and the reality of her time at GL are, shall we say, a few miles apart.

by Anonymousreply 112July 2, 2020 3:43 AM

Miss Pence Speaks, Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 2, 2020 3:45 AM

Miss Pence Speaks, Part 2

Includes the "Katie married a day player!" complaint

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 2, 2020 3:45 AM

I was trying to watch that Locher Room earlier today w/Pence, Jerry ver Dorn and Michael Tylo.....

I wondered if Tylo has Parkinson's disease because his hand was shaking in some unusual ways.....I mean, it's not an unusual think for someone over 60 to have, though it usually hits later.

by Anonymousreply 115July 2, 2020 3:53 AM

His son, who died, had a seizure disorder. It could be something he has as well.

by Anonymousreply 116July 2, 2020 3:56 AM

R115 I was pretty sure he was jerking off with one hand and holding the phone with the other.

by Anonymousreply 117July 2, 2020 4:06 AM

SOAP THREAD!

Webmistress, please spray the soap trolls with Raid! before they spread!

by Anonymousreply 118July 2, 2020 4:09 AM

Do fuck all the way off, R118.

by Anonymousreply 119July 2, 2020 4:18 AM

Doug should have stayed at GH and hired himself a personal publicist. Back then, there was Daytime TV and Soap Opera Digest.

You hire a publicist, who calls the magazine editors and say, 'Doug wants exposure; let's get him a four page QA; you can have some story teasers, previewing the fall -- the rest is about him. Plus, he'll do an at home spread at his house and you can show him having tea with a few actors."

But I'm glad he went to GL and I'm glad he went to ATWT. I'd love to see a magazine spread or even a book on the Marland Girls: Bobbie Spencer, Nola Reardon, Lorna Forbes, Ava Rescott, Iva Snyder, Meg Snyder....there were many others.

by Anonymousreply 120July 2, 2020 4:50 AM

R112, did you see the 1982 Daytime Emmy writing clip? Doug played her up big. Andy Norris' betrayal, how she withdrew and how Tony helped her come out.

Most writers didn't know what to do with her; she was a nurse so that helped keep her around.

The woman is ballsy. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 121July 2, 2020 4:52 AM

[quote]I was pretty sure he was jerking off with one hand and holding the phone with the other.

I also thought Michael Tylo was perhaps jerking off while holding the phone.

by Anonymousreply 122July 2, 2020 4:57 AM

Ironic that Doug Marland went to such lengths to thank Agnes Nixon in his acceptance speech.

A year later, he would be HWing the brand new Loving. And we all know what a dud that was. The soap never took off and the partnership between Agnes and Doug didn't work well either.

by Anonymousreply 123July 2, 2020 4:59 AM

R120 I'm always surprised that he and Agnes Nixon co-created Loving. He wrote it for the first two years then she took over for two, and then they both just kind of forgot about it, until she came back for a year in the 1990s.

I do love the fact that Jane Elliot, the actress Marland seemed to really love, above all his leading ladies, served as Loving's final co-producer.

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2020 5:00 AM

Makes you wonder how GL would have fared had Marland stayed with it. Would it eventually have gotten to #1? It briefly did with the 4 Musketeers and did well with the younger demo.

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2020 5:03 AM

R123 One problem with Loving was it didn't feel like a Marland show nor a Nixon show. It didn't even seem like a mashup of the two. I can go back and watch Marland's time writing for The Doctors, GH, GL, ATWT, and they have a certain feel to them. AMC and OLTL always had that special Nixon touch, regardless of whom was writing them at the time. But, I don't get any of that from the episodes of Loving I've seen. It just seems generic. It is even worse that it basically caused the end of Ryan's Hope, which was unique.

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2020 5:10 AM

Well said r126. You summed it up nicely.

Loving didn't feel like Doug Marland. Not in the least.

The basic premise and initial characters all felt very Agnes Nixon to me. But once the show got going, the feeling quickly faded. It just felt like a mess.

As you said, Loving's debut spelled the beginning of the end for Ryan's Hope, especially when Loving moved to the 12:30 p.m. time slot, bumping Ryan's Hope to 12 noon, a time slot in which many stations didn't air it since they had local news instead.

And by the way, what kind of name is "Loving" for a soap opera?

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2020 5:24 AM

Except for giving us Lorna, Ava, and classy grandparents Cabot and Isabelle and crazy bitchy Gwyneth, LOVING should have never been born.

It hurt Ryan's Hope.

Doug was better off at GL or ATWT.

Silly name for a soap.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2020 5:51 AM

How did Nixon/Marland come up with such a dud? Too many cooks?

by Anonymousreply 129July 2, 2020 5:59 AM

Working title "Love Without End," was probably deemed too old-fashioned and kinda clunky.

by Anonymousreply 130July 2, 2020 6:18 AM

That Andy Norris Katie storyline was fantastic! When I was watching that Emmy clip of her and Tony I couldn't remember why she was being portrayed as someone who had no confidence in herself, but then the poster upthread reminded me Tony brought her back to life after the shattering Andy experience. Great stuff!

by Anonymousreply 131July 2, 2020 11:28 AM

Yeah, my argument was not that Katie was NOT sent off with a day player. It was that sending her off that WAY was disrespectful to the character and audience. Which I think was her argument too.

by Anonymousreply 132July 2, 2020 12:09 PM

Well, R132, she needs to get over herself and you need to get over yourself. How was her exit disrespectful? Katie could have gone to the john to douche and was never seen again. Or she could have been found gagged and mutilated in the back of a pick-up truck. Come ON,

And...uhhh...yeah, you WERE challenging me on her “day player” comment. Because it was confirmed by another poster you’re backtracking.

R127, Loving’s original title was Love Without End.

I definitely got the feeling that Tylo had some sort of condition. His speech was extremely slow along with the jerky hand movements.

by Anonymousreply 133July 2, 2020 1:00 PM

OK, you seem really invested in this, so I'm just going to say I'm sorry I upset you so much.

by Anonymousreply 134July 2, 2020 1:06 PM

This is probably why I imagined she left with Louie. Her final scenes were with him, and my ancient addled brain got facts all mixed up.

Interesting that she credits Addie Walsh here, as I remember her interim stints as head writer on ATWT as very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 2, 2020 1:16 PM

Is K-k-k-Katy pence related to Mike Pence?

by Anonymousreply 136July 2, 2020 1:21 PM

For all intents, Katie was a day player once Pam Long took over. Pam wrote for her characters and neglected most of the Marland characters. Katie fell victim to that and essentially became recurring even though she was on contract. At least they gave her a send off. Louie, the guy who proposed to Katie was at least a fellow recurring character (albeit one who was barely developed) and not just someone brought in for a single episode to whisk her off the canvas.

As much as I loved Pam Long's first tenure (at least the first 18-24 months of it before it began faltering with Infinity, Sampson Girl, the record company bullshit), she didn't know what to do with the Marland characters. She tried to write for Nola and Quinton but failed to capture their essence. She tried to write for Tony, pairing him with Annabelle, but he lost his vitality under her pen. She paired Kelly Nelson with Claire, but that was a lackluster pairing. But so many others were completely neglected like Floyd and Katie.

And of course, she didn't even try to do anything with Sarah MacIntyre, Amanda Spaulding, Hope Bauer Spaulding, Mike Bauer, or Trish Lewis. All of them were characters I loved. I was so disappointed they got backburnered upon her arrival and let go when their contracts expired. And she foolishly killed off Hillary Bauer.

The two Marland characters who benefited most under Pam Long were Josh Lewis and Vanessa Chamberlain. And to a lesser extent Maureen Reardon Bauer.

Of course, Phillip became front and center under Pam Long, but he wasn't a Marland creation. In fact Grant joined the cast in Dec. 1982, after Marland was gone. Same with Freddie (Rick) Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 137July 2, 2020 1:40 PM

About Sarah MacIntyre, the actress left on her own accord. She wanted to make a career change as a concert pianist and hasn't looked back

by Anonymousreply 138July 2, 2020 1:42 PM

Didn't Marland set up the whole Philip paternity story though with the young red-headed Philip?

by Anonymousreply 139July 2, 2020 1:44 PM

3 of the 4 musketeers all left around the same time(91/92?), did they all decide to leave around the same time or were they let go?

by Anonymousreply 140July 2, 2020 1:47 PM

Alan Spaulding came on the canvas in Nov 1977 at the time the show expanded to 60 minutes. The Dobsons were writing GL at that time. They tied Alan into the Marlers, who had come on the show in 1976, again while the Dobsons were writing.

by Anonymousreply 141July 2, 2020 1:51 PM

Grant Alexander and MIchael O'Leary left on their own accord - because they finally reunited Phillip & Beth, the decision was made to write off Beth & Phillip together

So it was not Beth Chamberlain choice to go. A year later Kimberly Simms would be dismissed after contract negotiations broke down.

But back to Grant, both his parents died at the same time and he needed to grieve those losses. So TPTB wrapped up his storyline as quickly as possible,

by Anonymousreply 142July 2, 2020 1:52 PM

Thanks, r141. I watched back then, but was too young to be aware of who the writers were.

by Anonymousreply 143July 2, 2020 1:56 PM

Yeah, both Grants parents died in 1990. He'd been front burner for four years since his return in 1986. He said he needed time off to grieve.

As I recall, his father died in Sept or Oct 1990 and there was a temp recast for Phillip a few episodes that aired in Oct 1990. I forget the actor's name. He had been on Edge of Night in 1981 or 82. I think he was also briefly on Search.

Several years ago, we discussed that temp recast and someone figured out who it was. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the name again.

by Anonymousreply 144July 2, 2020 2:04 PM

Yes, Phillip and Beth were hurriedly married and written out once Grant decided to leave. I wish they would have had Phillip go to jail, leave Beth and see what they could have done with Beth/ Nick. I think they’d have brought back Lujack instead of Nick or both- Nick first then Lujack. Vincent said they had a story ready for the return of Lujack.

Btw- I know characters coming back from the dead is somewhat controversial but I loved that about soaps.

by Anonymousreply 145July 2, 2020 2:31 PM

[quote] Several years ago, we discussed that temp recast and someone figured out who it was.

Craig Augustine

by Anonymousreply 146July 2, 2020 2:39 PM

Thank you r146.

by Anonymousreply 147July 2, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote]In fact Grant joined the cast in Dec. 1982, after Marland was gone.

I'm sure Marland noticed Grant once he hit the airwaves.

by Anonymousreply 148July 2, 2020 2:45 PM

[quote] I definitely got the feeling that Tylo had some sort of condition. His speech was extremely slow along with the jerky hand movements.

Those are all signs of Parkinson's. He also had a bit of the "Parkinson's mask" where the face is a bit expressionless.

I have a parent suffering the same and all the signs just really reminded me of the same symptoms.

And it's none of our business, and I love Michael and his work. Just thinking that may have explained his actions that day.

by Anonymousreply 149July 2, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote] In fact Grant joined the cast in Dec. 1982, after Marland was gone.

Doug Marland & Allen Potter were fine with Jarod Hall and Phil MacGregor playing Phillip and Rick

But when Gail Kobe took over, she fired both and hired Grant Alexander and Michael O'Leary to play those roles

I don't think anyone would complain about that.

by Anonymousreply 150July 2, 2020 2:48 PM

[quote]Doug Marland & Allen Potter were fine with Jarod Hall and Phil MacGregor playing Phillip and Rick But when Gail Kobe took over, she fired both and hired Grant Alexander and Michael O'Leary to play those roles

No, that's incorrect.

Doug Marland left the show in August 1982. Grant debuted as Phillip in Dec. 1982 with Phillip coming home for Christmas. Grant even talked about his first day on one of the Locker Room interviews.

Phil MaGregor debuted as Rick around the same time as Grant, either shortly before or shortly after Grant.

Marland was gone would have had nothing to do with the casting of either actor, but he obviously would not have complained about the casting of Grant. Maland might have gone a different way with casting for Rick.

Allan Potter was still the EP when Grant was hired.

Gail Kobe took over as EP in early 1983. Gail Kobe fired MacGregor and hired Michael O'Leary in May 1983. But Grant was there before Kobe was

by Anonymousreply 151July 2, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]r67 Alan telling Reva "You will NEVER be a Lewis!"

Maybe it was that cowbell necklace....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 2, 2020 3:07 PM

R151 Yet in the Locher room chats, Both Grant and Michael said Michael started in 82 with Grant starting in 83.

by Anonymousreply 153July 2, 2020 3:10 PM

R134, I’m not upset at all. I was merely pushing back on you for basically telling me that what I had posted was incorrect. Pence, on both the GL reunion and in the other link provided, whined about her character being led off the show by a lowly day player. I was right and you were wrong. Period.

by Anonymousreply 154July 2, 2020 4:19 PM

Rick and Philip were both brought back to Springfield at the exact same time in December 1982. They’d both been expelled from Lincoln Prep. I like to think the reason was Rick had gotten caught giving Philip’s massive dong an expert bj.

R146/AuntLiz, Craig Augustine was quite popular with male and female TV viewers for a commercial where he announced “I’ve got a new roommate” and it was an air freshener. An awful lot of us would have loved to be his roommate.

by Anonymousreply 155July 2, 2020 4:25 PM

R155 Was this him and/or the commercial?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 2, 2020 4:57 PM

Miss Pence is having A Moment, apparently.

The Locher Room's Facebook page says something about her sending her apologies for something she said at the Bauer BBQ on Saturday.

I didn't see much of the BBQ so I am not sure what it was, but apparently she ruffled a few feathers.

(Sorry we cannot link to FB or I would share it directly.)

by Anonymousreply 157July 2, 2020 5:27 PM

Yep, ORD. It sure is him.

by Anonymousreply 158July 2, 2020 6:39 PM

Years ago when I was "friending" cast members on Facebook I sent a request to Denise and got a stern but polite response about how she reserves her FB page for her true friends and acquaintances, and that I can join her fan page. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 159July 2, 2020 6:46 PM

Miss Pence obviously needs to face up to reality.

I as a panelist alongside her at the Daytime Emmy screenings and she rubbed me the wrong way. That was one bossy bitch and someone who thought way too highly of herself. I laughed when she mentioned how her fellow panelists were making derogatory remarks about Susan Luccu during the lunch break. I must say that I was not one of them. I’m sure I was at the table because we tended to eat lunch together because we were broken at different times than other judges. Anyway did it really matter that someone made a nasty comment about Ms. Lucci’s acting ability after we’d already voted? No. Her tapes for the four times I voted were terrible except for the one which led to her finally winning.

by Anonymousreply 160July 2, 2020 6:47 PM

Judi Evans apparently was running from 3 sketchy men which led to her falling off her horse. I didn’t know that. She said the COVID-19 ward was horrific not even doctors would go in there. People screaming in pain all hours day and night.

by Anonymousreply 161July 2, 2020 6:53 PM

Someone created a new thread to talk about Ryan's Hope.

The 45th anniversary (!!) of its debut is on July 7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 2, 2020 10:44 PM

In the Locher Room chat yesterday some poster was talking about having an "awakening" to seeing Chris Bernau in a Speedo!

I mean, not that he was an unattractive man but that was a bit before my time I suppose. I was more of the John Wesley Shipp in a very snug Speedo kind of baby gay.

by Anonymousreply 163July 2, 2020 10:57 PM

The guy at R156 is NOT Craig Augustine

Here is Craig Augustine on Edge of Night - go 13:35 into video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 2, 2020 11:15 PM

Well, the Renuzit guy’s first name was Craig, that I do know. He was one of the clients of an actors agency I worked in back in the late 80s/early 90s. And this Craig did bits in soaps, too.

by Anonymousreply 165July 2, 2020 11:37 PM

So it was not Beth Chamberlain choice to go. A year later Kimberly Simms would be dismissed after contract negotiations broke down.

[R142] This is the second time I've read on here about Kimberley Simms' contract negotiations. I remember when the news came out at the same time about her and Sherry Stringfield leaving the show (that about killed me since they were my favorites, and then my other favorite Beverly McKinsey would leave soon after!) I assumed that Simms wanted out and to not renew. That pisses me off that they didn't offer her what she wanted to stay. Do you have any idea what she wanted that made them decline it? Guessing she wanted something short term like a year long contract.

by Anonymousreply 166July 3, 2020 12:30 AM

completely random but did Beth and Reva ever interact in any meaningful way?

by Anonymousreply 167July 3, 2020 12:34 AM

R166 Simms only wanted to resign for one year - P&G insisted on a two year deal and would not take no for answer

After Simms wouldn't budge, they just dismissed her and decided to recast

by Anonymousreply 168July 3, 2020 12:38 AM

Amy Ryan (who played Holly on "The Office" and was also nominated for an oscar) played a character named Renee (or Reenie) on "As the World Turns" in I think 1990.

Was this a substantial role? I wish there were some youtube clips of her scenes.

This other clip they're discussing is from the same era, but on a different show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 3, 2020 12:55 AM

R169, after Paul shot James and Emily dumped Paul, Paul became disillusioned with his privileged lifestyle. He left Barbara and Hal's home and his job at BRO, moved into a flophouse, and took a job in construction. Amy Ryan played the diner waitress, Reenie (sp?), that Paul hooked up with at that time. Paul liked Reenie, but never really fell in love with her, and she just kind of dropped out of sight after a month or two. Surprisingly, Barbara was kind to Reenie and had no objection to Paul's relationship with her, so that wasn't the problem.

There are definitely a few episodes involving Reenie on Youtube; I've watched them.

by Anonymousreply 170July 3, 2020 1:43 AM

Reenie has absolutely nothing to do - it was a non-contract role and basically Amy Ryan would enter and say one or two lines a week.

by Anonymousreply 171July 3, 2020 1:46 AM

Terrible, terrible quality, but Sara McIntyre and Tim Werner in the disco opening! (Also, I believe their final show.)

Oh and Phil MacGregor and Grant Aleksander as Rick and Philip. And pretty much everyone else in the cast from Alan to Helena ManZini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 3, 2020 2:27 AM

R167 You know I don’t think Beth and Reva were ever really in each others orbit much. They had almost no relationship during their entire time on the show. Very odd. I never realized that. Hmmmm

Reva did lead the search for Beth when she went missing in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2020 2:32 AM

R173 True, almost never saw them together in a scene.

In the Pam Long days I think that was because Beth and Reva were both her big story characters and so it would make sense that a Reva day might not be a Beth day or vice versa.

And certainly over the years Reva and Phillip have had a number of scenes. But almost never with Beth there.

by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2020 2:59 AM

Phil MacGregor did look like Peter Simon, but I can kind of see why they recast him. He looked considerably older than the character of Rick was supposed to be.

O'Leary did have an all-American look about him when he first came on.

by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2020 3:00 AM

R175 I always loved O'Leary's curly hair.

by Anonymousreply 176July 3, 2020 3:05 AM

Michael O'Leary didn't even audition for the role of Rick Bauer - he was in L.A. and was hired to read the various "Mindys" and "Beths" the show was looking for.

So he read with all of them, on videotape

The next thing he knew, he got a call for his agent saying he was just hired for Guiding Light and had to get to NY pronto. McGregor was out that Friday, and O'Leary had the weekend to get to NY and start work that Monday.

by Anonymousreply 177July 3, 2020 3:05 AM

R174 They were close when Beth was presumed dead or with Lujack, right?

Two of the biggest female characters of the 80s and were never close. They could have teamed up against India! Lol

by Anonymousreply 178July 3, 2020 3:06 AM

Thanks for the background, R170 and R171

I love all of the glimpses and info re: the "Before They Were Famous" crowd. A performer usually hits it big years after they started working, if they ever do. But they had been under our noses the whole time[bold] : )

by Anonymousreply 179July 3, 2020 3:38 AM

R178 The initial moment I remember re: Phillip and Reva was of course the John Bolger dancing to Proud Mary moment.

But as for more substantial story - there was a point where Reva was fighting Alan and Josh was with Sonni that Phillip was at Reva Bend a few times. There was a bit of an innocent flirtation., I think, but Reva cut it short for a number of reasons. But they kept that friendship. At the end there was a great Reva/Phillip scene.

by Anonymousreply 180July 3, 2020 4:16 AM

R160, I'm a little confused; you said La Lucci's tapes were terrible four times -- sounds like Pence did too.

And that's what people do at those things; they dish.

I appreciate your position; she rubbed you the wrong way. Sure, she's a bit forceful.

I can see why Pence felt Katie got the rush out the door. Nola and Quint were already gone or on their way out; Katie didn't get a farewell scene with her brother Floyd who was being exposed as a killer around the same time. Kelly, Morgan, Derek, Hillary (RIP) were all gone or forgotten at this point. RIP Laurel Falls gang 1980-81.

Spring 1985 was the end of an era.

I'm a huge fan of the Long eras: Reva, Alexandra, India. (Von Halkein), Sonni...Blake. Vanessa lost her way but got her groove back. Holly came back to town. She played Phillip in the forefront.

Sure, I missed the Marland era like crazy and believe that Amanda, Hope, Rita and others should have been brought back. They never DID find Jackie's body in the plane crash that went into the Chicago waters. Sara McIntyre was such a classy, sophisticated presence.

Of all the ones, who left, I would have had Amanda and Hope back. Amanda to deal with Alan's downfall; Hope for A-M's wedding and/or when he was shot.

by Anonymousreply 181July 3, 2020 4:24 AM

at 51:30, Denise semi puts her foot in her mouth; in today's PC times, some would say she shoves it in totally.

She talks about Jerry verDorn's daytimestarsandstrikes the charity benefit that raises money for autism.

she said she had a dear family friend who raised an autistic (or adjacent?) son and that her hat was off to that family; she added that she (Denise) had two daughters who were not autistic, which she was grateful for and then joked that they might be psychotic.

I can see where some felt it may have come out wrong, but I don't think she meant any harm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 3, 2020 4:42 AM

R182 oooh, ouch. Not very PC - or wise - at all.

by Anonymousreply 183July 3, 2020 4:48 AM

Yes the Renuzit actor is Craig Stepp.

by Anonymousreply 184July 3, 2020 4:56 AM

Yes Reva/Phillip was mainly when Beth was with Lujack or presumed dead. Shockingly, Reva and Beth, two of GL’s most popular characters were never close or shared many scenes together. Wow. That is shocking.

by Anonymousreply 185July 3, 2020 5:47 AM

Phillip and Reva really got close after Mindy miscarried. She brought him home to her condo afterwards.

Phillip, drunk, really threw himself at Reva the night of Vanessa's big soiree and she ended up jumping in the fountain.

Whenever a woman would slap Phillip, Grant would tighten his jaw and say: "I'm sorry you're upset. I don't think that now is the time and place to talk about this."

Classic. He made his co-star work even harder.

Reva, though, laid into him like no other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 3, 2020 5:57 AM

Thanks for finding and posting that Christmas Eve 1982 episode. The whole cast was in that episode. Really made Springfield feel like a community seeing them all in church together. Especially great to see Bert hosting Christmas Eve like she always did.

There was one person I just can't place. The best scene with him is at 4:40 in the video below. Tony Reardon calls him Matt (or something like that -- the audio and video are so bad it's hard to tell). "Matt" says he's in town and considering a job at Cedars or possibly one in Dallas. Anyone know who the character is? Or who the actor is? He looks so familiar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 3, 2020 8:10 AM

R187 wasn't that 'Matt' Maureen's ex boyfriend, who wouldn't marry her?

by Anonymousreply 188July 3, 2020 10:37 AM

R187 Credits for the episode indicate that "Dr. Matt Davenport" was played by James Carroll.

Carroll was on a few soaps. He played "Leo Burnell" on Loving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 3, 2020 11:39 AM

Thanks r189. He must have been a short term character because I do not remember the name Matt Davenport.

Where did you find the credits? Part 5 of 5 cuts off right as Bert and Mike address the audience to say Merry Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 190July 3, 2020 11:43 AM

About that Christmas GL episode -- to use an old DL phrase -- I have more questions than answers!

Was that Evie holding Samantha at Hope's house?

Who was the guy Vanessa tossed off sarcastic quips to at Quint's house?

Where was Hillary? Was Katie at the Bauers?

Was anyone missing? Was Kelly only in that shot at the church? And why the two ministers?

In any case, the show was remarkably well structured, full of Bauers, with lots of storyline potential. Just goes to show you how quickly a show can fall apart.

by Anonymousreply 191July 3, 2020 12:27 PM

R186 thanks for filling in some blanks re Reva/Phillip. I knew some of it had to do with when Phillip brought Alan down.

I remembered this bit where Phillip is sitting on the floor of the country club at the end, but didn't remember all the nuances before it - interesting to see all that led up to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 3, 2020 4:40 PM

R181, I think Pence said on The Locher Room that she thought Lucci’s tape that year was very good. The first three of hers that I’d judged were so bad I placed her last. But in the year that she won I placed her first-that stuff with Bianca was quite moving.

by Anonymousreply 193July 3, 2020 4:49 PM

Lucci should never have been nominated so many times.

Very interesting about Reva and Beth. They were the two most popular female characters and Pam loved writing for them you’d think she would have given them some kind of relationship.

by Anonymousreply 194July 3, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote] They were the two most popular female characters and Pam loved writing for them you’d think she would have given them some kind of relationship.

I think that was a scheduling thing, that Reva story played out on some days and Beth story on others.

Probably not unlike Rachel and Iris on AW in later years.

by Anonymousreply 195July 3, 2020 6:58 PM

R195 I’m sure that’s it but I’m just surprised Pam didn’t write them a relationship. Even in later years they hardly interacted.

by Anonymousreply 196July 3, 2020 7:34 PM

Reva & Beth interacted when their kids battled it out over little Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 197July 3, 2020 8:12 PM

r197

I asked the initial question so thanks for all the responses... I forgot the Beth and Reva share a grandchild

by Anonymousreply 198July 3, 2020 8:24 PM

I remember when Reva, Harley and Blake were visiting and very judgmental about Beth. Of all people, Blake and Reva had no room to talk or judge anybody. Also, India, Harley and Blake did the same thing about Beth during the Wives Club Meeting. Again, with the shit India and Blake have done and did to Beth, they had no room to talk. Blake wanted Roger to kill Beth. But this was the disgusting way GL was writing Beth in the 00s. And of course Saint Harley was always a victim.

by Anonymousreply 199July 3, 2020 8:30 PM

I forgot about Reva and Beth both being Sarah's grandmothers.

But I was thinking about earlier iterations of Beth (both Judi and Beth C) and Reva.

by Anonymousreply 200July 3, 2020 8:40 PM

Who was Beth's true love? Phillip or Lujack?

by Anonymousreply 201July 3, 2020 8:41 PM

The show would have you believe it's Phillip, but Beth and Lujack certainly had a one of a kind relationship.

A shame that Beth almost never mentioned Lujack - and of course she never met Nick.

by Anonymousreply 202July 3, 2020 8:43 PM

I think her true love was Lujack. Phillip’s true love is Beth.

by Anonymousreply 203July 3, 2020 8:43 PM

I never knew Beth lost her virginity, I don’t count her rape, to Lujack not Phillip.

Josh and Beth would have made a good looking couple.

Wait, Beth never met Nick? Whaaaaat?

by Anonymousreply 204July 3, 2020 8:47 PM

I can confirm, having used Doug’s guest bathroom that there was a photo of Gloria Monty hanging over thr toilet. He hated her!

by Anonymousreply 205July 3, 2020 8:48 PM

r204

crazy huh?

by Anonymousreply 206July 3, 2020 8:48 PM

I really liked Josh and Harley as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 207July 3, 2020 8:49 PM

R204 I don't know if it was a budget thing or what, but Grant and Beth C left the show in the spring-ish of 1991, and Vincent Irizarry came on a few months after they left.

Grant returned as Phillip in 1996, but it was *literally* mere episodes after Nick (and Irizarry) left town. Not even one scene between the two. The character of Beth hadn't returned at that point - she would come back a few months later or in 1997, I think.

by Anonymousreply 208July 3, 2020 8:51 PM

[quote] I really liked Josh and Harley as a couple.

I did too. If RN hadn't left the show at that point, it might have broken him out of the whole "Jeva" thing.

by Anonymousreply 209July 3, 2020 8:51 PM

R208 Grant left due to losing his parents and needled time off. So they quickly married Phillip and Beth and sent them away.

by Anonymousreply 210July 3, 2020 8:53 PM

Imagine the story possibilities if Beth and Nick would have met in 1991. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 211July 3, 2020 8:55 PM

r211

what are some other blatant examples of ignoring history and missed storylines

by Anonymousreply 212July 3, 2020 9:00 PM

Well, the return of Dusty Donovan fits that bill, r212. I think he had one scene with John.

And, of course, for all the years of nuPaul he never once even mentioned Andy.

by Anonymousreply 213July 3, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote] I'm a little confused; you said La Lucci's tapes were terrible four times

It is common knowledge in the daytime community that for some reason Lucci always picked the worst tape for submission.

Both Erika Slezak and Kim Zimmer would look at their strategically and they would screen tapes for their husbands (who were both actors) and ask advice on which tapes they should submit

Lucci on the other hand, for some reason viewed it as a vanity project. One year she submitted "Erica Kane - The Movie" - which had no acting whatsoever - all Lucci did was recap all the past loves of Erica Kane

Another year she submitted the 20th Anniversary show - all that had was the five original cast members sitting on the couch reminiscing about the past 20 years.

She finally got smart about it, and started submitting tapes that showed some meat, and she kept at it until she finally won.

by Anonymousreply 214July 3, 2020 9:06 PM

E213

I think that wasn't so much about Paul but about the show totally disregarding the character of Andy. No one really discussed him.

by Anonymousreply 215July 3, 2020 9:07 PM

R214, the story goes that Lucci’s husband Helmut actually picked the tapes for her to submit. And, being a savvy businessman, he knew it was becoming quite lucrative for his wife to keep losing-remember that sugar substitute commercial? So he’d have her submit bad tapes.

by Anonymousreply 216July 3, 2020 9:11 PM

this came up as a recommendation on youtube... Michael O'Leary was good looking but he was hot with a beard!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 3, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote] I think that wasn't so much about Paul but about the show totally disregarding the character of Andy. No one really discussed him.

Well, I thought the game was ignoring history and missed storylines. Doesn't that still fit?

by Anonymousreply 218July 3, 2020 9:23 PM

R214 and r216 yet she kept getting nominated. What a joke when there were dozens of more deserving actresses. An absolute joke. Zimmer should have been nominated every year then. Yet Lucci submits shitty tapes and is nominated? I’d be pissed if I were one of the dozens of actually talented actresses snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 219July 3, 2020 9:23 PM

I remember thinking how intense Phillip and Lujack’s love for Beth was. To be loved like that! Beth was written to be very smart and beautiful but in an approachable way. Every guy fell for her.

by Anonymousreply 220July 3, 2020 9:29 PM

R219, the tapes are for the blue ribbon panelists judging the nominees. The nomination is earned by fellow actors voting for each performer.

by Anonymousreply 221July 3, 2020 9:43 PM

R221 talk about rigged. She didn’t deserve being nominated every year.

by Anonymousreply 222July 3, 2020 10:08 PM

R222 As someone who watched AMC, I can understand many of her nominations, from her peers but thanks to R214 and others I understand why she never won. There were years when she gave good performances and I thought she was going to win. Now I know she didn't submit those scenes.

Since we have some insiders on here. I have to ask if you have any insight as to why Melody Thomas Scott has never won an award and only received one nomination. I know she isn't the greatest actress, but there have been years when I felt she should have at least been nominated.

by Anonymousreply 223July 3, 2020 10:50 PM

[quote] What a joke when there were dozens of more deserving actresses. An absolute joke. Yet Lucci submits shitty tapes and is nominated? I’d be pissed if I were one of the dozens of actually talented actresses snubbed.

Says Deidre Hall who could get a nomination after 1985 despite YEARS of trying!

by Anonymousreply 224July 3, 2020 11:05 PM

I watched AMC too and SL did not deserve 99% of her noms. She pales in comparison to the Zimmers and Slezaks in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 225July 4, 2020 3:13 AM

R275 Susan Lucci got her nominations in the old voting system

Every single contract player on a soap got sent a ballot and had to mark 5 names as their choice for Best Actress nominee (they could only select 2 from their own show)

Susan Lucci was the biggest name in all of daytime, so when people saw her name on the list, they just checked it off. She had that much power in the daytime community

Contrast that with Deidre Hall who tried to compete with Susan for the title of "Queen of the Soaps" and couldn't get a nomination after 1985

by Anonymousreply 226July 4, 2020 3:16 AM

Once Lucci started getting nominated in the old ballot system people joked that the ballot came with her name pre-checked on it.

I love Zimmer but in 1987, I would have given the award to either Hubbard or Kathy Hays for their work in 1986.

McKinsey should have won in 1992 for the 1991 episodes in which Alexandra ripped into Roger at the country club.

Grant Aleksander should have won for either Lead or Younger Actor (not sure of his age) in 1989 for the story he did in 1988 where Phillip took Spaulding from Alan.

by Anonymousreply 227July 4, 2020 3:28 AM

I get it about SL but I watched the show and she was so undeserving of the vast majority of her nominations. She sticks out like a sore thumb in the company of the others. Her nominations were pre planned for ratings. Once she won suddenly no more nominations. Hmmm

by Anonymousreply 228July 4, 2020 3:37 AM

La Wydham should have swept the Emmys every year! Every category!

by Anonymousreply 229July 4, 2020 3:37 AM

R228, actually, she got at least one more in 2002.

Instead of having last year's actor winner present, CBS curiously asked two young actors Justin Torkildsen and Adrienne Frantz presented and instead of reading the name, they shrieked it.

If you listen to the clip, production actually played the AMC theme -- not the BB theme -- so SL understandably thinks she may have won.

Fortunately, she had already; otherwise it would have been a disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 4, 2020 3:49 AM

R230 Yeah one more but that’s it. Speaks volumes. I heard they voted for her just to get it over with. The community was tired of the shit. It was planned for 1998 but Cynthia Watros and Zimmer were too good that year.

by Anonymousreply 231July 4, 2020 3:52 AM

R225 I completely agree La Lucci pales in comparison to Zimmer and Slezak. Hell she paled in comparison to others on AMC, such as the great Julia Barr, who somehow never won in the lead category. But there were a few years when she would have made as good a choice as the winner. I like Finola Hughes as Anna Devine, but she has never been on the level of the greats. I love Linda Dano, but I'm not sure she was Lead Actress Emmy level. Like Lucci she seems to be more of a personality than an actress.

Speaking of Zimmer and Slezak, I was expecting much more when Zimmer went to OLTL. Having Zimmer, Slezak, and Strasser in scenes together, should have been much, much better than it was.

Now back to P&G, I can't believe that Elizabeth Hubbard never won for Lucinda out of eight nominations, that is a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 232July 4, 2020 4:00 AM

I think Zimmer was very respectful of the gang at OLTL.

She went there to do good work and she did.

She's very sedate in the scene in which Viki rips into Echo for sleeping with Charlie; Zimmer didn't try to steal focus.

by Anonymousreply 233July 4, 2020 4:12 AM

R222 of course she was going to be nominated every year. It was better for ratings.

by Anonymousreply 234July 4, 2020 4:17 AM

R233 It might have been how they wrote Echo, or Zimmer wanting to tone it down and play nice, but I didn't care for her return on there. I wanted a major bitchfest between the three. She just seemed like she was on autopilot. If you go back and watch the three of them when she was on there in the 1980s, it was much better. Part of the great thing about Echo, was that she was one of those things that Viki and Dorian could agree on and team up against. But, the Echo of 2010, seemed like such a pushover that it didn't take the two of them to take her down, them teaming up against her almost looked like bullying.

by Anonymousreply 235July 4, 2020 4:20 AM

[quote] McKinsey should have won in 1992 for the 1991 episodes in which Alexandra ripped into Roger at the country club.

The fact that Lisa Brown didn't win for Kelly exposing Nola is an outright disgrace.

The fact that Beverlee was not handed every award on stage for those Country Club scenes was an international OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 236July 4, 2020 4:21 AM

R235 I think based on what Kim said in her book you are right.

She was shellshocked still from the GL cancellation and also, once her return as Echo was announced, got crapped on by a lot of fans who didn't want "Reva" to fuck up "their" show.

There were scenes where Strasser and Sleestak made not terribly nice comments about Echo's appearance that I thought had to be hard for Kim to hear.

by Anonymousreply 237July 4, 2020 4:23 AM

R232, I really wanted to vote for Elizabeth Hubbard but her tape was filled with scenes in which her “messy” style of acting as Lucinda was very off-putting. Waaaay too much improv and “improving” dialogue By the end of watching it I was exhausted and I don’t think I was alone. Out of context her performance didn’t work. Slezak’s tapes were immaculate, her performance was clean and crisp and easy to understand. Linda Dano’s winning tape was also fabulous. I remember voting for Genie Francis (who won) because of just one moment-she hugs someone for saving her son and mouths “Thank you.” Which I think Helen Hunt did in As Good As It Gets. That moment obviously stood out for us. I remember that was a particularly weak year in terms of the tapes submitted for Outstanding Actress.

by Anonymousreply 238July 4, 2020 4:37 AM

Having Susan nominated every year for ratings was wrong. She wasn’t on their level especially Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 239July 4, 2020 5:13 AM

My GAWD Zimmer and Slezak are 2 of the biggest HAMS in soap history. Or histrionics. Just because you can screech does not mean you are a great actress. That stands for Judith Light as well.

by Anonymousreply 240July 4, 2020 7:09 AM

R240 They could chew the scenery but they could handle subtlety as well. They could play anything. Susan- no. She wasn’t in their ballpark on anything. Susan is highly overrated. Highly.

by Anonymousreply 241July 4, 2020 7:29 AM

Kim Zimmer can definitely do subtle. Just look at the reel for her last Emmy win. Just masterful work by Zimmer & Newman.

by Anonymousreply 242July 4, 2020 11:57 AM

R232

Anyone intimating that La Dano didn't deserve her nomination & win needs to exit this thread. She was brilliant & most definitely in a Lead role that year.

by Anonymousreply 243July 4, 2020 11:58 AM

[quote] I remember voting for Genie Francis (who won) because of just one moment-she hugs someone for saving her son and mouths “Thank you.”

She lost to Jess Walton

R238 what do you remember of Jess Walton tape?

by Anonymousreply 244July 4, 2020 2:10 PM

I could see that about La Hubbard. I think most of her scenes were great in context but could look very sloppy out of context.

by Anonymousreply 245July 4, 2020 4:18 PM

R244, no, Genie Francis won the Daytime Emmy in 2007. That was the last time I was a judge.

I do vaguely remember Jess Walton’s tape (s) not being particularly good. I’m guessing, like with Hubbard, her work wasn’t impressive out of context.

by Anonymousreply 246July 4, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote] no, Genie Francis won the Daytime Emmy in 2007. That was the last time I was a judge.

[quote] I remember voting for Genie Francis (who won) because of just one moment-she hugs someone for saving her son and mouths “Thank you.”

Her Emmy reel DOES NOT have someone she hugs for saving her son

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 4, 2020 6:39 PM

Is R247 our beloved Where Are Your Sources poster?

by Anonymousreply 248July 4, 2020 6:40 PM

R247, wow, you got me, I guess! Heh heh.

As I wrote in an earlier post I REALLY wanted Ellen Dolan to win for ATWT. She was fantastic in the rape aftermath storyline but unfortunately on her tape she was practically catatonic in every damn scene. I should have even placed her last but didn’t. That was a bummer.

by Anonymousreply 249July 4, 2020 6:45 PM

R249 did you place Linda Dano first?

by Anonymousreply 250July 4, 2020 6:47 PM

Most actors really don't know how to put together a tape. The winners have always had good help.

There have been years where a truly solid performance rightfully wins (Linda Dano, Cynthia Watros) but as evidenced by the number of performances that were never nominated (Lisa Brown, Beverlee McKinsey as Alexandra) or never won (La Wyndham) there's more to it than just the tape.

It became clear around the 276th time Peter Bergman was nominated that he could essentially submit clips of him farting into a tin can and he would be nominated, because he was incredibly familiar to his peers, a team player on the show, campaigned for it in some years. They knew him to be capable of good work and/or liked him personally.

Compare that to someone like McKinsey, who worked on multiple shows and had two long runs in NYC. She was by all accounts not a diva, but focused on the work, did her best, and then went home to her child (and, later, her husband - especially as he was dying). But because she didn't Play The Game, a game she was MOST uninterested in playing, she was never nominated.

Contrast that with

by Anonymousreply 251July 4, 2020 6:55 PM

Whoops forgot to delete that last bit of text which I covered in the paragraph before.....DL is being so glitchy again.

by Anonymousreply 252July 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Oh, and none of that even gets into the block voting business, which Phelps perfected. That's a whole other thing and didn't always reflect a given performance....from JFP, it was more of a reward given to an employee.

by Anonymousreply 253July 4, 2020 6:58 PM

R250, yes, I did. Linda Dano’s tape was clearly the best of the bunch that year. It was easy to follow by the panelists (most of whom don’t watch AW or any other soaps, for that matter) and I knew she must have it in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 254July 4, 2020 7:00 PM

It must be stressed that each performer’s tape had to consist only of every single scene from two particular episodes, not a complilation of a year’s work.

by Anonymousreply 255July 4, 2020 7:02 PM

R160 do you remember what two episodes Linda Dano submitted

I know one was where she had a fight with Lorna (her daughter)

Do you remember the other episode?

by Anonymousreply 256July 4, 2020 7:07 PM

R256, her alcoholism was the main feature, from what I remember.

by Anonymousreply 257July 4, 2020 7:13 PM

OK thanks R160!

by Anonymousreply 258July 4, 2020 7:23 PM

[quote] It became clear around the 276th time Peter Bergman was nominated that he could essentially submit clips of him farting into a tin can and he would be nominated ...

LOL! ... I always thought LaBergman's first win at Y&R was personal, with TPTB strongly lobbying for him to win his very first full-year in the role just to get back at Terry Lester (who'd played "Jack Abbott" for nine years, yet had never won for it), because of what Lester had publicly said about the amateurish Lauralee eating the show when he exited.

by Anonymousreply 259July 4, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote] because of what Lester had publicly said about the amateurish Lauralee eating the show when he exited.

Terry Lester actually apologized to the Bells shortly after he left, saying he was wrong.

BTW this is a Bell show, and it is within his right to do whatever he wants to do with it, If he wanted Lauralee on the show, that is his right, and no one (not even networks executives) could stop him,

by Anonymousreply 260July 4, 2020 9:04 PM

Bill Bell was a really good HW but he was an idiot to give so much focus to his daughter. She did not have the talent or charisma.

by Anonymousreply 261July 4, 2020 10:35 PM

Bill Bell was the Trump of daytime, Lauralee was the Ivanka and Bradley was the Eric.

by Anonymousreply 262July 4, 2020 11:49 PM

R262 and Bradley Bell worked 24/7 to make Bold & Beautiful an international hit in over 50 countries

by Anonymousreply 263July 4, 2020 11:55 PM

Bradley Bell is a talent-free moron like Eric. The show was already an international hit because of daddy.

by Anonymousreply 264July 5, 2020 12:05 AM

R264 like you are in the room during story picthes

Susan Flannery says Bradley Bell is 100% responsible for how successful the show is, and I'll take her word over yours

by Anonymousreply 265July 5, 2020 12:07 AM

I'm not R264 but IDGAF is B&B is popular in the international market. The show is utter garbage & Bradley is a piss poor HW. The show is laughably bad.

by Anonymousreply 266July 5, 2020 2:37 AM

R266 I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is only 30 min. The big English-speaking soaps shown around the world from the UK and Australia are also 30 min, Coronation Street, Eastenders, Home & Away, Neighbours. Also, the storylines are very simple, so they are easy to translate to another language or to follow for English as a second language viewers.

by Anonymousreply 267July 5, 2020 2:44 AM

R267

It has zip to do with it being 30 minutes. The storylines are puddle deep. He plays the same stories over & over: Steffy/Liam then Hope/Liam. Katie with her never ending health problems.

People fall in love in 3 episodes, Rush into marriage & then split up with no build up. Bradley has the attention of a gnat. It's eye-rolling bad.

by Anonymousreply 268July 5, 2020 3:16 AM

B&B is arguably the worst US soap of all time. The romantic pairings over the years have become so incestuous it’s laughable. The actors on it are grateful to make a good living from it but must feel ashamed to be on such an unaldersted piece of shit. And when it’s finally gone it won’t be missed. At all.

Bradley Bell is a no-talent imbecile who only got a job because of daddy. Let’s not kid ourselves, R265.

by Anonymousreply 269July 5, 2020 3:28 AM

Let's open a B&B thread if we want to discuss it, dear.

by Anonymousreply 270July 5, 2020 3:41 AM

R268 I said the storylines are simple. But I do think the length has something to do with it. Most other countries are not use to an hour-long daily scripted show, that goes on and on. The telenovela format is popular around the world, with hour-long episodes, but they only last for a set amount of time. With our hour-long soaps it seemed that only one could be big in a single country, at a time, like ATWT in the Netherlands, Y&R in France, Sunset Beach in the UK. It is like they could only tolerate one hour-long daily soap at a time.

R269 Sadly, it is the worst but might be the last standing. I read an article, one time, in which they said that foreign sales would more than pay for continued production. So CBS could cut what they are willing to pay or move it to CBS All Access and Bell would still be making a huge amount of profits. It is similar to Australia's Neighbours, which airs on CBS owned Network 10. The show has became much less popular in Australia, and was moved to a sub-channel. But, Fremantle still produces it because it makes so much money overseas. Incidentally, Channel 5 in the UK, which is now also CBS owned, is one of the biggest foreign buyers of Neighbours.

by Anonymousreply 271July 5, 2020 3:42 AM

Are you guys saying Corrie, Emmerdale, Holly Oaks are only 30 minutes? That surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 272July 5, 2020 1:48 PM

Edge of Night always knew how to balance out multiple stories. HW Henry Slesar was a master at that. And it was always a 30 minute show.

He always had an A, B, and C storyline. The A storyline was climaxing, the B storyline was building up and the C storyline was just getting started. As the A storyline began winding down, the B storyline would begin climaxing and C storyline would begin building up.

Generally, this was the show's formula for balancing the stories.

First Act -- A storyline

Second Act -- B storyline

Third Act -- C storyline

Fourth Act -- B storyline

Fifth Act -- A storyline

Yes, there were variations of that formula over time, but that's generally how it played out.

by Anonymousreply 273July 5, 2020 2:00 PM

R272 Yes. Occasionally they have two episodes a day or an hour-long episode, but that is a more recent development, that will probably change due to Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 274July 5, 2020 5:09 PM

Towards the end Hour long soaps basically had THREE 12 minutes scenes between two or three people had to be filmed everyday

Nowadays to cut down costs even more, soaps are filming the show by set

Meaning you can film 3 to 5 of these 12 minutes scenes in a day, on the same set to span 5 days.

Then the next day they'd do the same thing on a different set. So instead of filming one show a day, everything is now filmed out of sequence, like a movie or an hour long drama.

by Anonymousreply 275July 5, 2020 5:15 PM

Soaps got too into the quick cuts where even before opening credits, Act One would be 90 seconds of all the stories of that day.

by Anonymousreply 276July 5, 2020 5:26 PM

Watched the Denise Pence foot-in-mouth bit during the Bauer barbrcue. Wowza. She starts off by kissing up to Alan by saying that SHE knows a kid raised up in Connecticut who’s autistic. And then she says she’s grateful she doesn’t have kids who are autistic but her two daughters might be psychotic. Jerry VerDorn had a subtle but hilarious WTF? look on his face and Alan looked stunned for a half second before breaking out a frozen smile.

I loved him having on one of GL’s directors Bruce Barry, who seems like a great guy. His remarks about Bev were touching. And I loved Gina Tognoni bringing up the beloved make-up lady Helen Gallagher, who died a few years ago. I knew Helen from sets like The Good Wife and she was one fabulous lady.

by Anonymousreply 277July 5, 2020 6:35 PM

The best one so far has been HBS, Scott Bryce and Gregg Marx

by Anonymousreply 278July 5, 2020 7:11 PM

R264 what’s your take on this scene?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279July 5, 2020 7:12 PM

R270 I agree

by Anonymousreply 280July 5, 2020 7:17 PM

must have been said for the Marland Laurel Falls gang to drop off one by one.

Tim Werner leaves. Morgan goes. Kelly is paired with Claire, but then he leaves town. Hillary is killed by Susan Piper. Floyd commits murder and goes off to jail. Nola and Quint leave town. Katie gets an insta-beau and leaves town.

Except for Nola and Quint, all these people never came back.

by Anonymousreply 281July 5, 2020 7:34 PM

R270 R280 There's already an open B&B thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282July 5, 2020 7:49 PM

R278- They certainly seemed like a great group of folks (And HBS's reputation has been iffy, however, she has been wonderful on these reunions- so down to earth and likable- kind of like the characters she has generally played!) A lot of love between them-

My favorite so far was Martha Byrne and Elizabeth Hubbard..

by Anonymousreply 283July 5, 2020 7:53 PM

I agree, R283, that was very special.

by Anonymousreply 284July 5, 2020 8:39 PM

Yeah, Martha and Elizabeth would be at the top of my list, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 285July 5, 2020 9:20 PM

said = sad

by Anonymousreply 286July 5, 2020 9:39 PM

Rosemary Prinz is NINETY years old!

I had no idea

by Anonymousreply 287July 6, 2020 3:57 AM

Party's over girls! Muriel has spoken.

So, we're continuing it here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288July 6, 2020 5:35 AM

R168 Simms only wanted to resign for one year - P&G insisted on a two year deal and would not take no for answer

After Simms wouldn't budge, they just dismissed her and decided to recast

Thank you! How disappointing

by Anonymousreply 289July 8, 2020 5:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!