Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Millennials horrified by vicious insults from younger generation: ‘Why are they so furious at us?'

Each generation has its own stereotype.

Baby Boomers are known for being technologically challenged and intolerant to change. Millennials are apparently overly sensitive and kill everything. Gen Z is known for its obsession with social media and lack of focus.

According to the American Psychological Association, these stereotypes are often wrong, and can even be harmful in an age-diverse workplace.

Generally, there is tension between the youngest and oldest generations in a shared space, like Gen Z and “Boomers,” but the latest battle in the generational wars is between Gen Z and millennials,

Twitter user local_celeb uncovered a series of TikTok comments in which younger users roasted the generation ahead of them.

Gen Z users criticized millennials for saying words like “doggo” and “adulting,” living in one-bedroom apartments, oversharing their “Harry Potter” houses and being obsessed with avocado toast.

“All they do is drink wine, post cringey ’90s kid’ memes, talk about tech start-up and lie,” one user wrote.

“Millennials are monsters and I stand by that,” another said.

Reactions have been mixed, to say the least.

Some say the critiques are harsh, and members of Gen Z are in for a “rude awakening.”

“If millennials are finding it impossible to own houses and hold down grown-up jobs, it won’t get any better for the next generations,” one Twitter user said.

“We come in peace goodness gracious, why are they so furious at us?” another wrote.

Others couldn’t argue with the criticism.

“I for one welcome our new Gen Z overlords,” a Twitter user said.

“They’re not wrong,” another wrote.

Local__celeb said the original video where she found the comments was uploaded by TikTok user mayalepa.

“Tired of Boomers bunching Gen Z and millennials together because I personally don’t want to be associated with people who think Harry Potter movies are a personality trait,” she said in the video.

Harsh, but maybe fair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273February 22, 2021 8:26 AM

Shared dislike of millennials unites generations.

by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2020 12:14 AM

I'm delighted they're here.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2020 12:14 AM

[quote] “All they do is drink wine, post cringey ’90s kid’ memes, talk about tech start-up and lie,” one user wrote.

[quote] “Millennials are monsters and I stand by that,” another said.

Rofl!!!

So true.

Gen Z is funny.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2020 12:16 AM

Must be a brat-fight between the younger millennials and teenyboppers.

I didn't care what teenagers thought when I was a teenager and I certainly don't care now.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2020 12:16 AM

As usual, Gen X is left out of the conversation.

They might as well just disappear.

Oh, wait. Nobody notices them any way.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2020 12:17 AM

And we're okay with that, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Gen X is the cool one because of our cool name and bad attitude.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2020 12:21 AM

No, we aren't. This is just another attempt by division trolls and insecure boomers to attack millennials.

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2020 12:21 AM

Enough with this Baby Boomers being technologically challenged bullshit.

I’m 64 and I recently had to show a 25-year-old how to download an e-book to her Kindle

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2020 12:22 AM

Sometimes it pays to be the overlooked generation

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote]Gen Z users criticized millennials for saying words like “doggo” and “adulting,” living in one-bedroom apartments, oversharing their “Harry Potter” houses and being obsessed with avocado toast.

What's wrong with living in a one-bedroom apartment?

WTF is a "Harry Potter house"? (Does YourMillennialFece have one?)

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2020 12:25 AM

Nobody cares about them and they have no identity of their own. All their music and pop culture is Millennial. Everybody just thinks they're extremely young Millennials heh

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2020 12:26 AM

Technologically challenged = imagined it, invented it, designed it, built it

and saw all the good bands when admission was $6.50 tops.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2020 12:29 AM

They are on the money about Gen X being Karens however

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2020 12:30 AM

Hear, hear, R9. The younger lot act terribly sniffy about their mastery of technology, but the only reason it mystifies the boomers with whom they're in contact is that they don't understand it well enough to be able to teach it. Result: Boomers who want to think well of them think they're geniuses, a point on which millennials are always happy to agree.

I've always found young people very limited in what they can do technologically, especially if they're Apple users. Apple software makes you follow a particular path and gives you a very hard time if you want to move away from the herd, so any kid since the young Steve Jobs who is acclaimed an Apple genius is just good at following the herd trail. (That also goes for the Geniuses in their stores, who never once solved any of my slightly-left-field requests, until I finally threw the phone at the wall and went Android.)

Even among non-Apple users, young people who think they're great with tech can usually do a small number of things very well. If you ask them a question beyond that, they try to trivialise it so they don't have to reveal they can't do it. If they were really tech-savvy, the answer would be, "I've never tried that, but give me 24 hours and I'm sure I can work it out for you. Then, I'll know what I'm doing so well that I can explain it to you so you can do it too."

The other point about which I'm deeply suspicious is the claim that Millennials and younger are far more visually aware than Boomers. Ask them to talk about a painting and see how that goes for you.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2020 12:31 AM

And as typical, Generation X isn’t even mentioned in the top passage. (Whatever)

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2020 12:32 AM

Have you met Amy Cooper, r14?

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote] Why are they so furious at us?

Because Millennials are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2020 12:36 AM

R17 Amy Cooper is 41 and Gen X like most of those viral videos of entitled middle age people acting crazy. I guess you're the Rage Generation

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2020 12:37 AM

Every generation turns on its elder. Millennials just never realized it could happen to them.

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2020 12:39 AM

Gen Z is actually good at snark. They learned it at a young age, from being on the internet their whole lives.

I kind of like it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2020 12:41 AM

Another Gen-Xer delighted to not be included in this dull and ridiculous generational war. In any case, Gen Z are the children of Gen-X, so get used to their sarcasm and irreverence.

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2020 12:42 AM

Gee, don't DL's Proud Millennials make it clear to everyone here that it can only be The Olds™ who aren't enamored of them, and that Gen Z must think they're so amazing and inspirational?

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2020 12:47 AM

Young Millennials and Gen Z are largely just the same group of uninformed, tasteless, and useless COVID-spreading assholes, so who cares what they think about each other.

Putting these people in charge of anything is a recipe for disaster. I could die just from the second-hand embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2020 12:48 AM

Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2020 12:48 AM

R21 They're the Internet Generation but nonetheless always get caught acting like Little Shits on camera, then their Helicopter Gen X Mama Bears have to rush to their defense

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2020 12:55 AM

Gen Z needs to learn hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2020 1:02 AM

So there's a meme for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2020 1:12 AM

Gen Z has no future, so joke’s on them.

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2020 1:18 AM

Are they the generation of kids walking around with no vaccines?

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2020 1:35 AM

I went on the twitter thread linked in the article, and Millennials are taking this badly. It's schadenfreude at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2020 1:35 AM

Okay Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2020 1:37 AM

R30 Yes. Gen X thought it was a great idea to not vax their kids. Now you have these Oafs walking around spreading Measles and Mumps

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2020 1:41 AM

How old is generation z again?

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2020 4:22 AM

GenXer here. Thank God that we continue to float by unnoticed and unaffected by all the crazy.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2020 4:25 AM

GenZs are less supportive of free speech rights than Millennials are, so it's interesting they see themselves as less "offended by everything". Interesting but wrong, most likely.

[quote]The skeptics are correct that Millennials are not much different than previous generations when asked about free speech issues. We also argued that this debate has nothing to do with Millennials; it is about CURRENT college students, who are not Millennials. By the fall of 2015, most college students (especially at elite four year schools) were members of iGen, the “Internet generation” (sometimes called “Gen Z”), which begins around birth year 1995, and which first arrived at college around 2013.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2020 4:33 AM

Who is more easily triggered, Millennials or Gen Z? Whomever it is, I'm on the other group's team.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2020 5:06 AM

Gen Z is a trainwreck just starting to happen. They've lived their entire lives glued to their phone. They're not readers....TL/DR. They're not that tech savvy. They know how to turn shit on, but that's about it. Most of them have had helicopter parenting so they're not very good at real life stuff...they're the generation who grew up with DVDs entertaining them strapped in their car seats in the back of the SUV until they were 8 rewatching Frozen over and over again. They're very emotional and threaten suicide a lot. Meltdowns happen frequently over relatively mundane things like finding an apartment. Prone to announcing they are "gender queer" but then not actually doing or behaving or appearing any other way than their actual biological gender except maybe they've spent 10 minutes making out with a same gendered friend when they were 12. They're the first generation to not have ANY good music or film culture....it's all shitty pop music and Marvel. They can recite complicated cast lists/histories/ genealogies of their favorite genre pop culture ComicCon franchises but they're not so good when it comes to any kind of real history or culture that happened before they were born. (Also true of the Millennials).

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2020 6:13 AM

I'd like to see what Generation Alpha has to say about Generation Z once they're older.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2020 6:31 AM

Zoomers desperately need to get a damn social life. As teens we spent all our time trying to avoid adults and have fun, not spend it talking about Boomers or Gen X'ers or whatever other boring older generation.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2020 6:36 AM

Gen Z social life is the photo at top. They've lived on their cellphone all their life

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2020 7:03 AM

Take away their automation and Gen-Z is fucking USELESS.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2020 7:14 AM

I call bullshit on this. I can’t remember wasting a single minute in my teens and 20s being bothered or angry at other generations. Young people are mostly preoccupied with other people their age. I suspect it’s mostly a thing at elite universities, where you’ll find these generation agitators. They’re mostly extremely ambitious young people who are out to make a name for themselves as the ‘voice of their generation’ and want get book deal or become a writer/professional opinion maker.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2020 7:17 AM

Why should I care? We all live and die but no one chooses when they were born. Happy to be a Boomer. Plentiful jobs, more freedom, easy to acquire property and possessions, best music and films. I feel sorry for my young friends of all ages; they have an uncertain future.

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2020 7:19 AM

Based on my few interactions on Grindr with them, Gen Z gays seem sheltered and sexphobic

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2020 8:17 AM

[quote]I call bullshit on this. I can’t remember wasting a single minute in my teens and 20s being bothered or angry at other generations

1. It's not that serious. They're just commenters on TikTok which is very much a Gen Z Platform. Millennials had Vine.

2. They're responding to a video about Boomers confusing Gen Z with Millennials so it wasn't apropos of nothing.

3. The comments sections are similar to Youtube. They're full of praise or snark. There is no in between. They make instagram comments look like fine literature.

4. That generation can do multiple things at once like no other. Using social media is second nature to them. They've always had it.

This is the video they were responding to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2020 8:32 AM

Stupid Generation relying on Mommy and Daddy to do everything for them, including paying their precious cellphone bill and Vaping habits. Get the Popcorn out cuz it's going to get nasty between them and their Parents in the next few years!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2020 8:50 AM

They cannot be bothered with Summer Jobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2020 9:00 AM

Humorless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2020 9:10 AM

[quote]As usual, Gen X is left out of the conversation.

They were mentioned quite a bit in the Twitter thread, at least. They're mostly the parents of Gen Z/Zoomers and I saw a lot of GenXers say they thought these insults were hilarious, which tracks: they're basically the same things GenX has always said about Millennials.

Millennials are just young Baby Boomers in a way, and I suspect their far-left liberalism will become Me Generation greed in about a decade, just like their hippie/yuppie parents.

by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2020 9:21 AM

[quote] Millennials are just young Baby Boomers in a way,

As opposed to Gen X who have become a prematurely grosser, entitled version of angry boomers themselves. All those Videos leaking out everyday is some 40 50 year old cunt losing their shit. They're a fucking nightmare to deal with. They make Boomers look Chill

by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2020 9:26 AM

[quote]I can’t remember wasting a single minute in my teens and 20s being bothered or angry at other generations

If you're GenX you were dunking on other generations constantly, because Boomers turned generational in-fighting into a commercial product. Their whole shtick was about generational hatred: don't trust anyone over 30, hope I die before I get old, live fast die young, etc.

The first real nasty articles about "useless generations" were the Boomer articles on GenX "slackers" who "were lazy and never did anything and had terrible taste in music." GenX didn't exactly take that kind of shit quietly. Lots of early 90s grunge and rock specifically made fun of hippie dippie late 60s music, resulting in commercial art like Bob Roberts where Lynne Thigpen gives a long impassioned speech about how Boomers saved the world and were all saints on earth.

Since then, the Boomer model of "shit on the generations nearest you for fun and profit" has really taken hold. Millennials on social media won't shut up about GenX and Boomers, who they for some reason conflate with each other as though they don't know the difference between a 45-year-old and a 65-year-old. Now Gen Z is doing it to them, much more lightheartedly, and a lot of them can't handle it.

Which is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2020 9:26 AM

Every generation has psychos and conservatives, R51. Leave it to Boomers and Millennials to think literally 100% of GenXers are white people who love Trump and hate blacks.

There's a very small segment of Boomers left who are truly progressive. The same might happen to GenX, who knows. But as of right now (and as gets posted in every generational in-fighting political thread we have) stats show Millennials and GenX vote almost exactly the same way across all demographics, even though the "let's pit generations against each other" folks pretend that's not true.

by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2020 9:30 AM

Mark my words, when Gen X turns 60 and 70, they'll make today's Boomers look like sweethearts. They're already Fucking Awful at 40 50

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2020 9:31 AM

If Silent, Greatest, and Boomer already went rightwing as they turned elderly, then sure, GenX might as well, but Millennial will too. It's what happens in America.

by Anonymousreply 55June 17, 2020 9:36 AM

R55 Those other Generations were already elderly when they did their Hard Right Tilt. What's Gen X's excuse? I know for a fact at least half of those Assholes are MAGA and they're the Conservative Judges Trump is installing to the courts

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2020 9:45 AM

So what's after Gen Z? Gen AA? Children of the Corn? Apocalypse?

by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2020 9:50 AM

Half of GenX aren't MAGA, in the 2018 midterms only 25% were Republican and another 11% were "leans Republican." Everyone else was indie or Democrat.

Boomers started voting more rightwing in the 1980s, it didn't start when they were elderly.

[quote]In the 1960s and ’70s, as the Pew Research Center noted last year in a report profiling the politics of different generations, boomers as a whole wanted little to do with the Republican Party, but by the 1980s that changed significantly. To make things even more complicated, there is a political difference between the first half of the baby boom and the second. “Older boomers, who cast their first ballots in the Nixon elections of 1968 and 1972, have voted more Democratic than have younger boomers who came of age under Ford, Carter and Reagan,” the report commented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2020 9:55 AM

Generation Alpha, R57.

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2020 10:02 AM

[quote]stats show Millennials and GenX vote almost exactly the same way across all demographics, even though the "let's pit generations against each other" folks pretend that's not true.

My God, that's such a fucking lie. Just see how Bernie's popularity changes among voters depending on which side of 40 they are.

Politically, GenX are carbon copies of Boomers, by the way. They're also insanely homophobic, especially the males.

by Anonymousreply 60June 17, 2020 10:09 AM

R59 I feel bad for Generation Beta.

by Anonymousreply 61June 17, 2020 10:24 AM

Well these threads always turn out so loving!

by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2020 10:47 AM

At least most millenials still have a sense of humor.

Gen Z is trying to get comedy outlawed because it hurts their feelings.

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2020 11:05 AM

Are they ever not furious?

by Anonymousreply 64June 17, 2020 11:56 AM

Are they ever not furious?

by Anonymousreply 65June 17, 2020 11:56 AM

Older millenials had to deal with Columbine, 9/11, the Iraq-Afghanistan Wars (which we actually had to fight in), the Great Recession (when we were entering the workplace), and now a global pandemic.

Gen Z has it all figured out and single handedly ended racism, sexism, homophobia, sexual assault, and transphobia with a hashtag on Twitter.

I eagerly await the wake-up call they’ll receive when they enter a post-COVID job market.

by Anonymousreply 66June 17, 2020 12:16 PM

R66 Their parents told them they're Very Special and Snarky. It's going to be fun to see their rude awakening!

by Anonymousreply 67June 17, 2020 12:42 PM

The boomers also gave the world Clinton & Obama!

by Anonymousreply 68June 17, 2020 12:46 PM

R43, you have to be a Millennial.

Boomers were the famous Younger Generation of "Generation Gap" fame, so they thought about the previous generation and how different they were from them All. The. Time. Xs were pissed off at coming after such a huge cohort, so they were very conscious of Boomers as they struggled to assert their difference (as some are still doing on this thread).

Gen Y, aka Millennials, never seemed to think about anything except themselves. They certainly never seemed to learn anything, including the history of the previous generations.

All gross generalisations, but still.

by Anonymousreply 69June 17, 2020 3:54 PM

There is no such thing as generational wars, allies or enemies. It’s families, friends, acquaintances & coworkers. Sometimes you don’t like some of your families, friends, acquaintances or coworkers, but that’s ok. You don’t have to be crazy about each other.

I know boomers who are completely different from other boomers (tech challenged? Steve Jobs & Bill Gates are boomers). I know basement dwelling millennials & ones that couldn’t wait to get out of their parents houses, go to school, get jobs & travel the world.

I’d say class is the biggest thing that divides people, not age. A poor Gen Z is going to have a completely different life from a middle class Gen Z & will have more in common with a millennial or boomer who grew up poor. At least in the US, money is happiness, not age.

by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2020 5:18 PM

I blame advertising. Once upon a time it was only total viewers that counted. They made things generationally competitive once they started to slice into demographics and gave "favored" status to younger people". It's an outdated model as people are working longer and young people no longer have the same disposable income as previous generations.

by Anonymousreply 71June 17, 2020 5:26 PM

I'm a millennial. My partner is Gen X. I tell all my single friends to only date older or younger than us- we're awful.

by Anonymousreply 72June 17, 2020 5:40 PM

R72, we are awful. A generation that has a world of knowledge, information, and convenience literally at its fingertips through a smart phone, and yet, so many can't get their shit together. The Millennial generation is documented as having record levels of anxiety, fear, and depression (with gen Z close behind), and for what? Because whimsical expectations didn't match reality?

Every generation has had to deal with hardships of one form or another. Toughen the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 73June 17, 2020 6:39 PM

R73 You're a Millennial, Sure Jan

by Anonymousreply 74June 17, 2020 6:45 PM

GenX is generation that has it worst right now followed by older millennials. The financial safety nets that were in place previously are slowly disappearing and it's tough to find work nowadays if you're over 45 but under 65.

by Anonymousreply 75June 17, 2020 7:40 PM

I've begun to wonder what the generation prior to boomers thought of us as we were coming into our own, if they see some of what we see now. When I walk past most young adults (not all), if I manage to look at them at all, I see vapid, soul-less, sad creatures with no real identity all their own. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. In my 20's, I loved older people and would often find mentors in them while people my age either complained about them or ignored them. Some older people loved the attention, while others would basically scoot me away. I still hate when I tell older people my age and they tell me, "Oh, you're just a baby." I want to say back, "Well, just because you are sitting in God's waiting room doesn't make this 57 year old a baby!"

by Anonymousreply 76June 17, 2020 7:50 PM

Millenials and Boomers actually have a lot in common, the raging narcissism being most prominent in both groups. Gen X and Gen Z are similar in being forgotten generations swallowed up by the outsized and exagerrated focus on the generation immediately before them.

I am Gen X and I do remember resentment against Boomers when we were young. Boomers took over leadership positions in their 20s/the 1970s and never let go of them; Millennials are acting the same way.

by Anonymousreply 77June 17, 2020 7:51 PM

R76 They did not think very highly of you. I don't know why Xers are trying to rewrite history about themselves as if they were some great youth generation. Gen X always act like their Shit don't stink

R77 What fucking "Leadership" positions do Millennials currently hold in their 20s exactly?

by Anonymousreply 78June 17, 2020 7:57 PM

I know the Boomers are sitting this one out, so which groups are at the forefront of the protests that are happening around the country?

X

Z

Millennials

Or all the above?

by Anonymousreply 79June 17, 2020 8:03 PM

R79 Millennials. Xers are the ones losing their Shit in the Karen videos. Zs just talk a good game on TikTok but I guess Mommy and Daddy didn't give them a permission slip to participate

by Anonymousreply 80June 17, 2020 8:05 PM

Most of this intergenerational fighting is ridiculous. Not every Boomer went to Woodstock or was an activist, not every Gen-Xer is a slacker and cynical, not every Millennial is entitled or obsessed with Harry Potter, and not every Zoomer is addicted to their phone and avoids eye contact. People are individuals first. Of all the things that divide us, this is the most ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 81June 17, 2020 8:08 PM

Thanks R81.

The kid makes a good point

by Anonymousreply 82June 17, 2020 8:17 PM

R74, I am a Millennial. I just don't turn into a sobbing mess on TikTok or Instagram when life doesn't go my way.

by Anonymousreply 83June 17, 2020 8:29 PM

[quote]The other sticky thing is that "Karen" has a gender bias. While the label can be applied to anyone, the image is generally of a shrill woman. Julia agreed that the stereotype is sexist, and she wishes it were more gender-neutral.

From the article at R47, some Gen Y'ers are concerned that the "Karen" stereotype they named for Gen X is too gender-exclusionary.

by Anonymousreply 84June 17, 2020 8:32 PM

R84 You must be confused as that article references Gen Zers

by Anonymousreply 85June 17, 2020 8:36 PM

From what I see where I am, r80, it's the blue haired brigade -- GenZ and Boomers.

by Anonymousreply 86June 17, 2020 8:37 PM

R83: Neither do most millennials, this vanguard millennial included. This generation has anxiety because we have no security. No home equity, no good jobs. The things boomers had do not exist for the later generations. I'm happy you were lucky to avoid that but a good chunk of our generation and the Zoomers will not. Which is why I think millennials will NOT go right wing as we age, we will not have the mid-century prosperity with nice houses and happy families and good pensions to help make that political shift possible.

by Anonymousreply 87June 17, 2020 8:54 PM

I am a Boomer and I'm rooting for Millennials. Proud of you guys out protesting, it's the only chance you will have at a decent life. You have to put pressure on the power structures that were formed while the Boomers were enjoying all the stuff we bought with those easy to get credit cards in the 80's. Oh and the coke, all the coke in the 80's and a bit in the 90's but more ecstasy in the 90's than coke. . . I digress.

by Anonymousreply 88June 17, 2020 9:03 PM

R87, Who said I was lucky? I graduated college in 2008 right when everything collapsed and I had to bounce around a few jobs for years before finally finding something stable that paid well. I don't own a house, but I'm fixing that problem by saving money. I also researched my undergrad majors to make sure they were financially viable and not something self-indulgent that would be worthless in the marketplace. In any case, anxiety and depression are normal, but experiencing them in perpetuity because you feel financially and/or psychologically insecure is not normal, and it's not going to fix your problems.

by Anonymousreply 89June 17, 2020 9:12 PM

They are disobedient, disrespectful oafs Noisy, crazy, sloppy, lazy loafers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 17, 2020 9:30 PM

Children on occasion need discipline. In fact, they often crave it.

by Anonymousreply 91June 17, 2020 9:31 PM

I’m a boomer & couldn’t find a job when I graduated high school in the 1970s. Everyone thinks there were plenty of non skilled jobs back then. There weren’t. There were no malls in most of America. Indoor malls started being built in the 70s & hired adults with experience because the pay & benefits in retail were pretty good. I was shocked by Fast Times at Ridgemont High because the mall in California had tons of teens working there. That didn’t happen at that time in my area of the northeast.

When Reagan came along he overhauled banking so that businesses could get loans easier & the people who owned them didn’t go bankrupt when their business did. That’s when strip malls started getting built everywhere. Franchises really took off.

Without Reagan, there would be no Donald Trump. Trump wouldn’t have been able to borrow $900M let alone lose it.

by Anonymousreply 92June 17, 2020 10:09 PM

Most people under 40 are wastes of cellulite and arguments FOR abortion.

by Anonymousreply 93June 17, 2020 10:12 PM

Depends on where you lived r92.

Young people in the suburbs worked at McDonalds and other fast food chains, there were no immigrants doing those jobs back then. Jobs washing dishes and waiting tables as well. Young guys would make money shoveling driveways in the winter and doing yard work in the summer. You could make money under the table working catering jobs and doing unskilled labor in construction. You could also call places directly and ask to speak to a manager to inquire about a job. You could also walk into an establishment and inquire, which I did a number of times. You could actually talk to people back then and if you were a good talker, talk yourself into a job, that does not exist today.

In the city, unskilled office temp jobs paid really good money for that time $13 dollars an hour (which is what I made). There were also places that had offices with cubicles for those doing phones sales which was big back in those days. There was also messenger work.

I guess you were just lazy and unimaginative.

by Anonymousreply 94June 17, 2020 10:37 PM

Blaming Gen X for all the mentally ill women having manic episodes in viral videos is typical cluelessness from Millennials and Gen Z. Newsflash: every generation has severely mentally ill people.

by Anonymousreply 95June 18, 2020 12:59 AM

One of the lines said above -- "you're 34, stop talking about Harry Potter, and go do some drugs" -- is funny-ish, but weird when you consider whom it is coming from. Gen Z is the generation least likely to have drunk and smoked in adolescence. So, most likely, they won't be doing coke in adulthood, either. Like the line about Millennials being offended about everything, it seems Gen Z are attacking Millennials for trends that are actually stronger among their peers than among previous generations.

by Anonymousreply 96June 18, 2020 1:35 AM

Gen Z are TEENAGERS. Teens have always been self-absorbed assholes. Gen Z do seem a little more caustic because in general they acknowledge that their future is very grim, if they have a future. Yet they don’t seem smart enough to be “nihilistic” but feel very cool and smarter than everyone nonetheless. Millennials are living their grim future and know it will likely get harder. Gen Z’s future has not yet hit them. The oldest Gen Z are just probably starting their OnlyFans accounts, right? There’s something for them at least.

by Anonymousreply 97June 18, 2020 1:51 AM

R89: We don't choose to feel anxious, it IS the nature of the reality a lot of people face, including a decent chunk of GenXers as well. To just claim that millennials just choose to be anxious is beyond ridiculous. Aside from your nonsense about you "picking a good major" (laughable right wing talking point), by getting a job and saving money to buy a house, my dear, YOU'RE LUCKY. Jobs are scarce now thanks to the COVID-19 depression, a good chunk don't pay well, and people are in debt for school and other various reasons. You are apparently debt free with a decent-paying job and saving for a house. In June 2020, that makes you lucky. To deny it is folly.

by Anonymousreply 98June 18, 2020 2:40 PM

r95 brings up a good point- due to social media, EVERYONE chronicles anything if it's sensational and publishes it for the whole world to see.

r95- what about marijuana? I don't have anything against it, but here in California, it's the drug du jour.

by Anonymousreply 99June 18, 2020 2:44 PM

R98, feeling anxious is a feeling like any other and you can choose to succumb to it or not. One triumph of the human mind over animals is that we can use logic and reason to understand our emotions but not let them rule us. You propose something more basic, which is just giving into any emotion, letting it rule, and just shrugging it off as, "well that's the nature of REALITY". You can change your reality by your actions and decisions in life. I've seen numerous families do it.

And picking a good major is hardly a right wing talking point. It's common sense. A degree in fine arts or gender studies is not going to pay you as much as a major in computer science or electrical engineering, or generally something more quantitative, because that's where the demand is. That's been demonstrably proven through economic research for quite some time.

Plus, you keep attributing all this to luck but you have no idea the obstacles I had to overcome. You confuse and conflate perseverance and thinking with luck because it's much easier for you to blame your problems on an unfair universe, or the nature of reality as you put it, then fix them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 100June 18, 2020 3:59 PM

Zoomers aren't as obnoxious as Millennials, but they're still young twats who think they know everything.

by Anonymousreply 101June 18, 2020 4:03 PM

I love Gen Z.

I think it's because I have a lot of 18-22 year old nieces and nephews, and they crack me up.

They're actually very nice and well behaved.

Overall, Gen X did a good job raising them.

Gen Z is smart, well-informed, and they have a good sense of humor. And for the most part, they're pretty respectful.

by Anonymousreply 102June 18, 2020 4:14 PM

Your nieces and nephews don't count, they're required to be nice to you.

by Anonymousreply 103June 18, 2020 4:16 PM

R100: I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this post proves you're just a typical selfish bootstraper who refuses to understand anything about what is going now or has happened in this country economically over the last 40 years. You also seem to refuse to understand that we are not all YOU and cannot and will not have your experience. Newsflash, your experience is not everyone else's experience and is not repeatable for everyone (if it's even true). Again, good for you that you overcame those obstacles, but honey, you are lucky. I cannot change 40 years of economic bullshit nor can you. Stop puking out platitudes that any one person can or that the past 40 years do not matter. They do.

by Anonymousreply 104June 18, 2020 4:17 PM

Choosing a good major is now a right wing talking point?

Everyone knows that your major directly affects the jobs you can get out of college, and those jobs are heavily dependent upon certain skills being in demand. Choose an arts major and you likely won't be making anywhere near as much money, and you will have a harder time getting a job than a STEM major. Our society doesn't value the arts as much.

by Anonymousreply 105June 18, 2020 4:32 PM

R95 Yes every age has mentally ill but why are the vast majority of these Angry Crazies Gen Xers, eh? Even far more than Boomers. You're definitely very well represented in these latest National Dramas and not so overlooked like you claim to be

by Anonymousreply 106June 18, 2020 4:45 PM

Angry Crazies?

by Anonymousreply 107June 18, 2020 4:49 PM

R104, your response is interesting because it is so revealing. Look through what you have written previously and there is nothing about solving a problem just being dismissive and blaming others.

It quite literally encapsulates almost everything millennials are criticized for. The country and economic system are set up against me, my experience is so unique it can’t be understood by anyone else, I cannot change 40 years of economic bullshit…. Ok, so these are things you say you can’t change. If your “experience” isn’t working then take a look around or read about people who did have successful experiences, apply what works, and learn from the mistakes of others.

The whole “I cannot change 40 years of economic bullshit.” Why do you think it’s your burden to do so in the first place? As trite as it sounds, you work with what you have not what you want. The millennial generation is not the first generation to deal with economic uncertainty, pandemics, or wars but we act like we are. Your line of “stop puking platitudes that any one person can” change 40 years of anything is incredibly self-defeating and negative. You’re right! You can’t. So don’t dwell endlessly on it. And “selfish bootstrapping”? There’s nothing selfish about it. If you cannot fix your own problems (financial/psychological), you are going to have a very difficult time helping anyone else successfully.

Ultimately, having an attitude that the past 40 years are holding you back and everything is unfair will turn into 50 years, then 60, 70, 80 and then you’re dead. And you’re going to spend all that time being angry and frustrated at the world? What a waste. I would imagine your capable of doing more than that. And lose this whole "luck" thing. If everything is luck then there is no deliberate cause and effect or action and consequences to anything, and every person's entire life is just some blind random ass happenstance.

by Anonymousreply 108June 18, 2020 8:20 PM

I find Gen Z kind of sanctimonious and uptight personally. All the Gen Z’s I know seem to not like to have a good time. Maybe they’ll step out of it. Very earnest kids.

Millennials were annoying but I did like their overly precious restaurants which had good food, even if you had to hear its history before hand (a la Portlandia)

by Anonymousreply 109June 18, 2020 8:42 PM

R109 try being a Gen X manager for millennials fresh out of college. "Annoying" doesn't begin to describe it!

by Anonymousreply 110June 18, 2020 8:50 PM

Unfortunately, R108, he's hardly alone in this mindset.

Surrendering before you've started to fight seems self-defeating but there you are.

by Anonymousreply 111June 18, 2020 10:39 PM

R111 it's self defeating and self-destructive. The viewpoint is used by people who are cynical and lazy.

I think one of the biggest issues with Millennials is how cynical they actually are. Like, Gen X can be cynical, but it was a different kind of cynicism and we actually did something with it. Millennials' cynicism gives them an excuse to be lazy, so they are, and things don't change except by luck or chance or how attractive you are.

It's this whole victim mentality that is pervasive - it's much easier to be a victim and release control to luck or whatnot than it is so take responsibility. I'm not saying all Millennials are like this, but it's definitely reached a head in their generation.

Zoomers have grown up on social media, have no attention spans, and decades of things being dumbed down because of complaining Millennials. This isn't doing them any favors.

by Anonymousreply 112June 18, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote] we actually did something with it.

Like what exactly?

by Anonymousreply 113June 18, 2020 11:16 PM

Gen Z learned everything they know from obnoxious YouTube videos produced by morons.

by Anonymousreply 114June 18, 2020 11:50 PM

[quote] Gen Z learned everything they know from obnoxious YouTube videos produced by morons.

Better learning from YouTube, than learning from bathroom walls, the way that you did R114.

by Anonymousreply 115June 18, 2020 11:56 PM

G X were cynical much earlier than Millennials. Their cynicism actually seemed genetic, and not acquired through learned behavior.

by Anonymousreply 116June 18, 2020 11:58 PM

Careful R112! Tell a self-pitying millennial they have a "victim mentality" and all of sudden you're an extreme right-wing nazi!

by Anonymousreply 117June 18, 2020 11:58 PM

Gen X still whines about Boomers controlling everything all the time even at Age 50 so they're not without their Whiners either

by Anonymousreply 118June 19, 2020 12:04 AM

I can't stand the Boomers or the Millennials and I can't figure out what the Gen Z is about anyway.

by Anonymousreply 119June 19, 2020 12:04 AM

Gen X loves to stir the pot, always talking Shit about everyone else like they are so Perfect themselves. They think they're Experts on Millennials, seems like they should focus more on themselves and their Nasty Entitled children.

by Anonymousreply 120June 19, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote] Gen X still whines about Boomers controlling everything all the time even at Age 50 so they're not without their Whiners either

That's because Boomers are old as fuck, and they still won't let go.

They've held U.S. Presidential power since 1993, and it doesn't look like that's going to end, straight through to 2025.

That's over THIRTY YEARS of being in control of this country. And look at how well that has worked out for us.

From the Clintons, W. Bush, Obama, Trump, Pelosi, McConnell, Reid, etc. etc. We've been stuck with the same shitheads since forever, and to be perfectly honest, they have fucking RUINED our country.

Gen X will never have a chance to lead, because they will be passed over as Millennials start to come of age.

The fact of the matter is that there are so many fucking BOOMERS.

According to this chart, in 2019 they were still right up there in numbers with Millennials, and they have always outnumbered GenX. Even today.

So GenX has a right to complain. They never stood a chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 19, 2020 12:12 AM

Millennials are uniquely horrible. The fucking ridiculous Harry Potter obsession is certainly part of it.

But it’s really the boomers’ fault. They raised this generation they never reprimanded or guided, who are the most entitled generation in human history. They don’t feel like they have to learn or go through the school of hard knocks, and if you criticize anything they do, or something doesn’t go just as they want it, they literally go insane. And yes I absolutely blame their parents, the boomers, for that. “We must not restrict little Ashley’s creativity.”

by Anonymousreply 122June 19, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote] Gen X will never have a chance to lead,

I don't know why you're having such a give up Mentality when a man even older than Boomers is about to be president.

Sounds like some of that Victim Mentality R112 is talking about .

by Anonymousreply 123June 19, 2020 12:20 AM

[quote] Millennials are uniquely horrible.

Gen Xers are Fucking Horrible and that's why I'm not surprised you're right in the thick of all of this Drama. Hell is having to deal with these entitled 40 50 year old Fucks in any work setting. Meanest, Nastiest cunts you can ever meet. Love to talk shit but even judging from this thread can't handle any Criticism of themselves or their kids

by Anonymousreply 124June 19, 2020 12:23 AM

*cricks fingers* an Open letter to Gen Z...

[quote] “All they do is drink wine, post cringey ’90s kid’ memes, talk about tech start-up and lie,” one user wrote.

Hahahahaha. Whine and stamp away, podlings. Guess a longboard will naturally give a little extra height & speed to that baseless and vapid condescension...

Right now Pluto in Scorpio/Capricorn Stellium people aka ‘Millennials’ (hate that term) may seem like harmless duplicitous whining lounges to you, but watch out for the real sting in our tails that you have yet to experience. Being so young you can have no idea what we’ve been through from the ‘90s til now, so fraught that many of us aren’t here to tell the tale anymore. Those of us who remain have to gather strength once again, but once we reach full power like Vegeta you are all dead in the water.

‘Monster’? Oh, stop, I’m blushing. Last I checked monsters are a powerful and credible threat, enough to make even jumped-up little demigods tremble.

By the idealistic metric of pure civility (a lie of wokeness you were sold, by the way) Gen Y weren’t great to start with and we haven’t got much better, and we’ve done and said plenty that is majorly fucked-up. Some of that was on society, and some on the fact that we’re just a dark selfish jealous group of people who live in our feelings and internalise pain. That doesn’t mean we owe the glistening cherubic crotchfruit shit out of our older cousins an apology, now does it? You call us liars and alcoholics and moody insular technophiles...just how do you think we survived the war years 1996-2016?

It’s not a coincidence that Pluto in Scorpio generation is the one with thousands of articles talking about all the industries and societal expectations we’ve killed. Killing is all we know because it’s all we were raised to know. And you know what needs to happen to anything in Nature and in society for new growth and adaptation and improvement - you know, that concept Gen Z won’t shut the fuck up about? They have to die. So we take care of it for you, knowing how you hate to take blame or be a scapegoat or get your pristine glitter-slimed hands all bloody and dirty. A sincere ‘thank you’ would be appreciated.

So you might want to be a smidge more tactful and strategic to your older cousins, Zees. Remember, before long you’ll be working for us.

[quote] Tired of Boomers bunching Gen Z and millennials together because I personally don’t want to be associated..

Note also that according to another generational theory, it is you who most resemble your grandparents the Boomers (1937-58, the astrological age of Leo and the era of victorious post-war prosperity in the West/America). By contrast we Ys are most akin to our own grandparents from the preceding Silent Generation (1912-1939, the astrological age of Cancer and the heart of two World Wars). Just a different and perhaps more pertinent model to consider.

Oh, and a parting word of friendly sisterly advice: cut the woke horseshit, don’t be the black hole in any rooms you’re in, and stop being Marks for yourselves. You think you’re the spotless pinnacle of advanced humanity and can never do wrong - we get it, we HEARD you. You’re starting to sound like your sneering sanctimonious parents who, FYI, turned Heel and abandoned their counterculture and their ideologies as soon as there was money to be had. There’s still hope for all of you yet, but going for the throat of the people who thus far have sheltered you and taken your hits is...unwise. Your grandparents will be dead in fifteen years and your parents will fuck you over - who else is there to save you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 19, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote] I don't know why you're having such a give up Mentality when a man even older than Boomers is about to be president.

They're not going to have a chance. Believe it.

GenX will end up like the "Silent Generation":

[quote] The Silent Generation is the demographic cohort following the Greatest Generation and preceding the baby boomers. The cohort is defined as individuals born between 1928 and 1945.

The U.S. was led by the "Greatest Generation" for years and years. H.W. Bush, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, LBJ, Kennedy, Eisenhower, were all part of the Greatest Generation, and they maintained that power for about the same amount of time as the Boomers.

Then in one fell swoop, power went from George H.W. Bush to Bill Clinton in 1993, and Boomers have never relinquished that power.

The Silent Generation was completely passed over, and I think that GenX will experience the same thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 19, 2020 12:31 AM

These threads are so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 127June 19, 2020 12:52 AM

Yes, R127, but revealing, very revealing

by Anonymousreply 128June 19, 2020 12:55 AM

r124 you sound sane!

by Anonymousreply 129June 19, 2020 1:06 AM

You read an article on Yahoo that is a compilation of tweets and decided to post it here. Did you run out of things to read on the internet, or are you just retarded?

by Anonymousreply 130June 19, 2020 1:10 AM

This thread is not even about Gen X yet they found fit to swoop in and interject to defend their HellSpawn. They claim Boomers were Helicopter Parents so I wonder what that makes them. DroneParents probably. Angry Momma Grizzly Parents

by Anonymousreply 131June 19, 2020 1:14 AM

For every Boomer who hates a Millennial and every Millennial who hates a Boomer, there's a generation in between who thinks they're both cunts.

by Anonymousreply 132June 19, 2020 1:15 AM

Judging from how your Nasty Kids walk all over you, doesn't seem like they respect you very much R132. Nasty cunts even nastier and more bitter than Boomers and not even as Old.

by Anonymousreply 133June 19, 2020 1:20 AM

r124 = Exhibit A of literally everything I wrote 😄

by Anonymousreply 134June 19, 2020 1:25 AM

R134 Typical Gen X. I'm just glad with these Viral Videos everybody is starting to see how Nasty your Generation really is on a day to day basis! And you're only going to get worse with age

by Anonymousreply 135June 19, 2020 1:29 AM

R135 is triggered because someone misidentified her as House Slytherin

by Anonymousreply 136June 19, 2020 1:32 AM

Lots of Karens are in their 30s, so they're not Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 137June 19, 2020 1:32 AM

R137 The Majority are Karens in their 40s and 50s. Erectile Dysfunction and Menopause has hit them Hard

by Anonymousreply 138June 19, 2020 1:42 AM

[quote] They claim Boomers were Helicopter Parents so I wonder what that makes them.

“They claim” ....

[quote] Generational demographer Neil Howe describes helicopter parenting as the parenting style of Baby Boomer parents of Millennial children. Howe describes the helicopter parenting of baby-boomers as a distinct parenting style from Generation X parents.

by Anonymousreply 139June 19, 2020 1:43 AM

Some of you take this generation shit way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 140June 19, 2020 2:01 AM

Lots of Boomers were the parents of Gen X. I was born in '76 and my parents and most of the parents of the kids I grew up with and went to school with were Boomers. There were only a few who had Silent Gen parents.

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2020 2:08 AM

Why the fuck are we fighting? All this fighting over who is the worst generation, who sucks more, blah blah. Guess what, everyone is a fucking shitbag, ok? Everyone.

Now let's just go have a smoke and hug it out. Our country is in shambles and we'll be in a recession for the next decade. Better learn to get along.

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2020 7:17 AM

R102 OMS hurt!

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2020 11:50 AM

With no exaggeration, 90% of Gen Z kids I know are all attempting suicide or self-harming or or transing themselves or camming and only because someone they don’t know online told them to. Worse, they are blogging incessantly about it and writing manifestos about how empowering it all is in an endless boring self-congratulating circle-jerk. Smug pontificating bunch of Christian martyrs.

Gen Y were also avid self-harmers and into dark shit, but they didn’t feel the need to broadcast it outside their social circle or turn it into an abstracted regressive political movement that sets back gays & women. The Devil doesn’t need permission and doesn’t need everyone knowing his business.

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2020 12:00 PM

When younger generations mock me for being Generation X, I just reply “John Taylor”.

by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2020 1:07 PM

When GenZ brats get bitchy, just tell them that their feet and asses stink.

That'll fix them.

by Anonymousreply 146June 19, 2020 1:09 PM

R126 Obama is on the boomer/X cusp, I think.

by Anonymousreply 147June 19, 2020 1:11 PM

Obama was born in 1961. Gen X started in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 148June 19, 2020 1:50 PM

Technically R148, Generation X started in 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149June 19, 2020 1:59 PM

The only thing anyone can agree on is that everybody born in the 1970s is Gen X. Exactly when Gen X started in the 60s and when it ended in the 80s is different depending on who you ask.

by Anonymousreply 150June 19, 2020 2:18 PM

Threads like this one make me think this is a fitting solution to the problem of younger generations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 19, 2020 2:25 PM

I fucking hate Poisoned Dragon.

by Anonymousreply 152June 19, 2020 2:26 PM

[quote]I fucking hate Poisoned Dragon.

R152, so much so that you decided to spend a single-use sock saying it on the '[bold]Why Do So Many Gay Men Hate the Word "Queer'?'[/bold] thread, at R105.

Where there's one sock, there's multiples - judging from the 'WW's on that one post, at least seven. Probably more.

So, are you 'Donkey Teeth,' or are you the Yahoo 'HomosexualsAreReprobates' troll?

Either way, your hatred validates me; evidently I'm doing something right to be hated by an alt-righter.

Cheers! ;D

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 19, 2020 2:39 PM

Yeah, I really fucking hate Poisoned Dragon.

by Anonymousreply 154June 19, 2020 3:02 PM

The reason why it seems like younger people are "technologically savvy" is because everything is so automated now that anyone can use it. If you don't give those assholes a set of icons and expect them to read or type a script you're basically throwing them on a boat in the middle of a lake with no oars.

by Anonymousreply 155June 19, 2020 6:45 PM

Millennials have always been jealous of Generation Z because they're younger and cuter.

And apparently, they have a better sense of humor too.

by Anonymousreply 156June 20, 2020 12:23 AM

Millennials are pissed because Zoomers have all the same issues they blame for everything, but aren't making it the excuse for their lives, thus revealing Millennials to be frauds.

by Anonymousreply 157June 20, 2020 12:25 AM

Aging is going to be hell for Millennials and we'll all have to suffer with them. Remember when Boomers hit middle age? Millennials are going to be even worse.

by Anonymousreply 158June 20, 2020 12:31 AM

Didn't millenials start the okay boomer thing? Well gen z sees ypu as old now too? Does that sting?

by Anonymousreply 159June 20, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote] Aging is going to be hell for Millennials and we'll all have to suffer with them.

It'll be an endless fountain of tears and meltdowns.

by Anonymousreply 160June 20, 2020 12:33 AM

No one has ever suffered like me!

by Anonymousreply 161June 20, 2020 12:36 AM

Agreed R155. We're starting to bring in Gen Z college grads where I work and they don't learn how to use office software any better/faster than anyone else I've seen. If it's not touchy-screeny, forget about it!

by Anonymousreply 162June 20, 2020 12:38 AM

I was born in 1995 so I’m one of the youngest of the millennials ... nearly gen Z. but gen Z kind of confuses me ... I feel like I relate more to older millennials

by Anonymousreply 163June 20, 2020 12:44 AM

Maybe a new tattoo will help them get through it

by Anonymousreply 164June 20, 2020 1:17 AM

Proud Gen X-er here, we're likely the last of civilization who can change a tire or use a screwdriver without googling it.

by Anonymousreply 165June 20, 2020 1:18 AM

R148

He seems young and immortal to me.

by Anonymousreply 166June 20, 2020 6:31 PM

R158 I blame Boomers for the proliferation of irritating medication ads on TV.

by Anonymousreply 167June 20, 2020 6:32 PM

Cut that shit, R167: Geritol, Anacin, and Milk of Magnesia ads were all over TV in the 1950's when the earliest Boomers were 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 168June 20, 2020 7:08 PM

r168 those weren't prescription medicines. You used not to be able to advertise those on TV, by law.

by Anonymousreply 169June 20, 2020 8:56 PM

I’m highly skeptical of the generation-hype that has intensified in the last decade. I think it’s a marketing ruse and someone’s profiting. Generation X, Y, Z ... does this mean that when we’ve wrapped around to ‘Generation W’ the end times are at hand?

by Anonymousreply 170June 21, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote] Generation X, Y, Z ... does this mean that when we’ve wrapped around to ‘Generation W’ the end times are at hand?

That's quite a way down the road, because they've gone back to A. Generation "Alpha."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 21, 2020 2:53 PM

What we need is a good war to teach these kids a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 172June 21, 2020 3:15 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 21, 2020 3:17 PM

This is why I love GenZ, R173.

They're hilarious.

They really do have a good sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 174June 21, 2020 3:19 PM

R174 et al Well done, Zoomers.

But let's not forget it was a 51 year old grandmother who gave them the idea.

by Anonymousreply 175June 21, 2020 4:01 PM

Exactly, R175.

Which makes R28's link even funnier. And true!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176June 21, 2020 4:06 PM

That's apt, r176!

by Anonymousreply 177June 21, 2020 5:15 PM

51 would make her Gen X, R175.

Spot the coalition forming?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178June 21, 2020 5:38 PM

Gen z seems annoying and forgettable just like their parents. Bring on Gen Alpha already.

by Anonymousreply 179June 22, 2020 2:00 AM

R158 GenXers are aging like curdled milk.

Bitter, sanctimonious cunts already more awful than Boomers

by Anonymousreply 180June 22, 2020 2:05 AM

R180 nice try!

by Anonymousreply 181June 22, 2020 2:43 AM

Boomers hate Millennials so much because it's like looking in a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 182June 22, 2020 2:44 AM

I laugh at you all.

by Anonymousreply 183June 22, 2020 2:58 AM

Xennial, you're technically Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 184June 22, 2020 3:01 AM

I was born December 29 1980, so if I'm "technically" anything else, it's a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 185June 22, 2020 3:10 AM

Millennials started in '82.

by Anonymousreply 186June 22, 2020 3:14 AM

You're on the cusp, R185.

And probably on the spectrum, if I do say so myself.

by Anonymousreply 187June 22, 2020 3:16 AM

[quote] Millennials started in '82.

You're wrong. January 1981.

by Anonymousreply 188June 22, 2020 3:25 AM

[quote] You're on the cusp, [R185]. And probably on the spectrum, if I do say so myself.

Or maybe I just have a sense of humor you don't, grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 189June 22, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote] Or maybe I just have a sense of humor you don't, grandpa.

Suck a dick, Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 190June 22, 2020 3:27 AM

The US Census Bureau uses 1982 as the start date for Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 191June 22, 2020 3:29 AM

I'm 3 years from entering daddy territory, it will be another 20 to reach grandpa status. So suck my dick granny R190

by Anonymousreply 192June 22, 2020 3:31 AM

R142 Insufferable GenXers have been taking Cheap Shots at Millennials for years. I think it was just anger because Boomers have been completely Owning them for Decades and they took it out on us. Now on a thread that has NOTHING to do with them they feel a need to gang up and defend their Little Shits. I guess they don't believe in letting their little brats fight their own battles

by Anonymousreply 193June 22, 2020 5:27 AM

Generation Peanut Allergy sure do a lot of badmouthing. Wake me up when they get jobs and pay their own bills.

by Anonymousreply 194June 22, 2020 6:05 AM

[quote] Zoomers desperately need to get a damn social life.

I think their problem is they have no life. They don't drink, party, have sex or go out. Their whole lives is their phone so I guess they have lots of time to talk about older people

by Anonymousreply 195June 22, 2020 6:08 AM

R142 Spoken like a true Gen X-er. :) We've always known we're all fucked, don't know why it's taken all the generations before and after so long to figure it out. :)

by Anonymousreply 196June 22, 2020 6:38 AM

r5 Gen X is too cool to be involved in this cringefest. Keep us out of it.

by Anonymousreply 197June 22, 2020 12:55 PM

But when Gen Z does go out and get jobs, R194, how will millennials spin being jobless losers living in mawmaw's basement? I'd think Millennials would appreciate Z not working (yet). When they do, it will prove beyond a doubt that Millennials are Forever Children whining into the abyss.

by Anonymousreply 198June 22, 2020 2:03 PM

R197 Ha GenX probably makes up over half the responses in this thread. They can never keep their Mouth shut when it comes to Millennials, meanwhile Millennials don't usually give enough of a shit about them to mention them. R198 Millennials are the largest group in the workplace. Meanwhile your AARP Discount card and Viagra pills are in the mail. Stay pressed!

by Anonymousreply 199June 22, 2020 2:57 PM

From the headline alone I knew this was a link to a Yahoo article.

by Anonymousreply 200June 22, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] Now on a thread that has NOTHING to do with them they feel a need to gang up and defend their Little Shits. I guess they don't believe in letting their little brats fight their own battles

R193 bet. The Boomer parenting response to their own childrens’ foibles is not to defend or pathologise but IGNORE IGNORE DEFLECT DEFLECT, and eventually if warranted even agree with the castigation. The times my folks threatened me, “you know, your [insert behaviour] has the neighbours talking and it’s reflecting badly. The [military drive, Peace Corps meet, local cult assembly] is next month and we’re driving you there with bags packed...” would shock Gen X parents.

[quote] Millennials are Forever Children whining into the abyss.

Every generations has had deadbeats, doleys, do-nothing bitches and so-called ‘losers’. That’s what happens in any industrialist or post-industrialist society, age and generation no object. We are eithe producers or we are dissenters.

Just one generation in known history, however, has been reared by memes & mobile phones since the cradle. Come back to this very thread in ten years (if DL still exists) and see if there aren’t worse comments about the ineptitude of Gen Z. Flame away in the meantime, but be sure you’re looking closely when Gen Y come of age the second time around (say, turning 40).

by Anonymousreply 201June 22, 2020 4:24 PM

I think that GenX parents are very close to their GenZ kids.

Unlike previous parenting generations, GenX has chosen to be their kids' "friends," rather than the disciplinarian.

I think that it has worked out well for them, because GenX has a closer bond with their kids than any other generation.

by Anonymousreply 202June 22, 2020 8:08 PM

Many Gen Xers were raised by horrible 80s Boomer parents, so it's natural they would want to be close to their kids and not focused on themselves 24/7 like their Boomer parents were.

by Anonymousreply 203June 22, 2020 8:37 PM

R196

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 22, 2020 9:08 PM

R193 Well, I love Millennials. I don't go for this generational fighting. I think it's plain bullshit.

I was a teenager in the early 90's when I started protesting, took part in protests against the Iraq War, for environmental causes, LGBT rights most of all, and I protested and worked alongside Boomers. I continue to be an activist and work alongside Boomers, Millennials, and now, our beloved Zoomers. Like R201 mentioned, every generation has different types of people. Just like some Boomers stayed home and did nothing during the 60's - except take credit later - there are plenty of Zoomers who are doing nothing. It's about individuals coming together regardless of their age to change things for the better. I for one, embrace everyone who wants to put in the hard work.

by Anonymousreply 205June 22, 2020 9:14 PM

R205, I get along with all other generations as well, both older and younger than me. I have friends and family of all ages.

I believe this generational crap is trolls throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what will stick.

by Anonymousreply 206June 23, 2020 1:39 AM

R205, I get along with all other generations as well, both older and younger than me. I have friends and family of all ages.

I believe this generational crap is trolls throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what will stick.

by Anonymousreply 207June 23, 2020 1:39 AM

By the time any generation hits age 50, they'll be seen as losers and failures by people 30 years younger. That's never going to change and that's what every generation has to look forward to. History gets to decide which generations actually contributed to the world. Hint...it's a good idea to produce some kind of art that lasts.

by Anonymousreply 208June 23, 2020 1:56 AM

[quote] I believe this generational crap is trolls throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and seeing what will stick.

Sounds like all of DL.

by Anonymousreply 209June 23, 2020 2:32 AM

R206, the more you accuse innocent people of being trolls, the less effective it becomes.

At this point, no one is even paying attention to your complaints.

by Anonymousreply 210June 23, 2020 8:17 AM

[quote]By the time any generation hits age 50, they'll be seen as losers and failures by people 30 years younger.

Time marches on. The last of the few Xers in their 30s will extinguish this year, then the oldest Millennials will then be crossing the threshold of 40. There's no escaping it for them.

by Anonymousreply 211July 3, 2020 7:18 PM

To the rampantly bitter poster going on and on about GenXers . . . sorry you got dumped, man.

by Anonymousreply 212July 3, 2020 7:25 PM

Millennials still have a couple years before 40, don't they? They started in '82 IIRC. The whole think about Millennials was that they reached legal adulthood (age 18) in the year 2000.

by Anonymousreply 213July 3, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote]Gen X will never have a chance to lead, because they will be passed over as Millennials start to come of age.

The best Gen X had to offer so far was Beto O’Rourke, so maybe it’s best...

by Anonymousreply 214July 3, 2020 8:41 PM

A millennial president will need to google how to run the country.

by Anonymousreply 215July 3, 2020 9:26 PM

Quoting from wiki R213:

[quote]Pew Research Center, a non-partisan think-tank, delineates a Generation X period of 1965–1980 which has, albeit gradually, come to gain acceptance in academic circles.

[quote]Pew's Trend magazine in 2018, psychologist Jean Twenge observed that the "birth year boundaries of Gen X are debated but settle somewhere around 1965–1980." According to this definition, the oldest Gen Xer is 55 years old and the youngest is, or is turning, 40 years old in 2020.

[quote]The U.S. Federal Reserve Board use 1965–1980 to define Gen X. U.S. news outlets such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, Bloomberg, Business Insider, and Forbes use 1965–1980. U.S. polling firm Gallup uses 1965–1979.

by Anonymousreply 216July 4, 2020 3:03 AM

Kim Kardashian turns 40 in October (born 21 October 1980). This woman represents the sharp dividing line. Therefore anyone born on, or before the 20th October 1980 can still claim to be Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 217July 4, 2020 3:36 AM

[quote]Kim Kardashian turns 40 in October (born 21 October 1980). This woman represents the sharp dividing line.

The Millennials can have that gaping Kunt.

by Anonymousreply 218July 4, 2020 3:41 AM

Apparently, GenZ has declared themselves the "Greatest Generation."

Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 2, 2020 2:08 PM

They are also whining about the Pandemic ruining their lives, and they will not shut up about it for 70-80 years.

by Anonymousreply 220August 2, 2020 2:14 PM

Anyone who says “doggo” and “kiddo” deserves to be loathed.

by Anonymousreply 221August 2, 2020 2:16 PM

[quote] They are also whining about the Pandemic ruining their lives, and they will not shut up about it for 70-80 years.

Millennials have been whinging since they came out of the coin slot, and they haven't shut the fuck up since then!

by Anonymousreply 222August 2, 2020 2:16 PM

We are doomed, because no one born after 1964 knows enough to keep themselves going, much less a country.

by Anonymousreply 223August 2, 2020 2:22 PM

Poor GenX. It's like wiping their ass and spreading baby powder

by Anonymousreply 224August 2, 2020 2:22 PM

We like being ignored, R224. It suits us.

by Anonymousreply 225August 2, 2020 2:24 PM

R225 Being a total retard would suit you, asswipe

by Anonymousreply 226August 2, 2020 2:26 PM

Wow, R224 and R226 are TRIGGERED!

I guess with Milennials being the "Most Hated Generation," it's really getting to them.

Millennnials are surrounded by older people and younger people who can't stand them.

by Anonymousreply 227August 2, 2020 2:28 PM

WTF is your problem, R226? Mama a member of Gen X?

by Anonymousreply 228August 2, 2020 2:29 PM

GEN X is butthurt

by Anonymousreply 229August 2, 2020 2:40 PM

Retarded GEN X can't even handle millennials

by Anonymousreply 230August 2, 2020 2:41 PM

fuck off, I've been called "Boomer" one too many times.

by Anonymousreply 231August 2, 2020 2:41 PM

R231, what happened Gen X? I thought you were such badasses?

by Anonymousreply 232August 2, 2020 2:43 PM

R232, exactly what I thought, you mealy-mouthed motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 233August 2, 2020 2:45 PM

Wow, this conversation has gotten deeper and deeper since the last time I was here. So much insight, so much clarity, so much understanding.

by Anonymousreply 234August 2, 2020 3:34 PM

I never thought much about Gen X identity outside of our pop culture which is always fun to talk about with people who know it.

I've heard Gen Xers say we're the "latch key" generation - and thus self-sufficient, independent. Yet, we went crazy with helicopter parenting and children as status and birthed millenials.

by Anonymousreply 235August 2, 2020 7:07 PM

I guess, we birthed Gen Z more than millenials.

by Anonymousreply 236August 2, 2020 7:19 PM

Nobody butthurt. We are still the coolest generation and we know it. Gen Z are masquerading as baby Gen Xers, listening to our music, wearing the same clothes we wore in high school. Gen X basically invented all things millennial, such as the internet, so suck it.

by Anonymousreply 237August 2, 2020 9:44 PM

I'm millennial and generally do not have an issue with Gen Z, Millennials, and many Gen Xers. The conflict just isn't there.

Maybe I'll have it with younger Gen Zers (currently in earlier teens) but any I know, I get on with. Even the ones, like some family, that appear clearly on a more successful path than me to this day.

Sorry, but in my and my friends' experience, there just isn't the divide that exists between Boomers-and-surrounding and Millennials-and-surrounding. There's something far more economically and socially significant about living from the mid 1900s compared to around 2000+. Its about living standards, technology, fundamental philosophies than the spats some posters above are describing. Yes those typical generational conflicts can happen too, but its definitely important that Boomers are broadly brandishing anyone younger they resent as Millennial kids, and Gen Zers are calling anyone they're considering pathetically old fashioned Boomers. Its because its still about that - not some hypothetical future job competition between out of work Millennials and ambitious Zoomers.

I just returned to and graduated college with earliest-millennials to older-zers and it was perfectly fine. I wasn't invited to the most age exclusive of parties (good) and they weren't invited to the intimate occasions of my life (good, though up to a few might become closer), but otherwise everything was great.

by Anonymousreply 238August 2, 2020 10:38 PM

R221 the only person I’ve heard say that in real life is my Gen X Frau cousin. She also uses all the cutesy dumb Facebook abbreviations like “totes” and “adorbs”, and when she is online won’t shut up about or stop taking photos of her kids. No-one of my age or younger that I know would ever be caught dead using such insipid language. Even back in the MySpace days, that was too embarrassing. But perhaps my social circle is just unusually conscious of such nonsense.

That said, I agree with R207 that this generational factionalism is merely a cheap divide-and-conquer tactic, and the privileged will exploit that to keep people oppressed and distracted. We should all try to move past it and learn to get along as an intergenerational group, so it’s harder for the elites to exterminate us.

R213 the oldest, yes. I didn’t legal adulthood until 2011.

by Anonymousreply 239December 31, 2020 1:09 PM

R5 That’s not true. Gen X’ers are the eloquent troubadours that record the rise and fall of lesser generations.

by Anonymousreply 240December 31, 2020 1:17 PM

I’m gen-x. I just want to watch the world burn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241December 31, 2020 1:25 PM

Pretty much

by Anonymousreply 242December 31, 2020 1:28 PM

The more I read this, the more it cracks me the fuck up.

It's so bratty, so snarky, and so... Gen Z.

The best part is that they're right!

by Anonymousreply 243December 31, 2020 3:50 PM

^^young Millennial here. I hate wine (don’t drink much at all, tbh, prefer a real cigarette, a black coffee with nothing else in it, or a Voidrealm), I can’t figure out how memes or social media work given that I prioritise longform conversation, I have no interest in either becoming or being anywhere near a business-shark Silicon Valley douchebro, and I would say integrity counts as one of my few good qualities.

Monsterhood I will own up to (I’m posting here as a regular, aren’t I?), but that’s just the thing—monsters aren’t necessarily evil, it’s the way they’re treated and misconstrued that makes them seem so. Many gen Z kids are lecithin-and-Juul addled little trolls & poseurs who only care about their Twitchstreams, so I doubt such a notion has ever occurred to the majority.

So the cute little talking emojis can say what they want. When the time comes they want sex or money or a promotion from a Millennial for either themselves or their crotchfruit, they’d do well to remember what they posted online (probably using their real names and photos, like dopes) for people to read for all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 244December 31, 2020 4:02 PM

There isn't enough prejudice around, let's gin up some bigotry between generations.

by Anonymousreply 245December 31, 2020 4:10 PM

Millennials are MONSTERS!

by Anonymousreply 246February 19, 2021 8:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!

by Anonymousreply 247February 19, 2021 8:18 PM

What set off GenZ to start attacking Millennials?

Are they just annoyed by them?

by Anonymousreply 248February 20, 2021 6:56 AM

Social media thrives on hate and conflict. It doesn’t even have to be instigated by paid trolls. The kids who grew up with Social Media know that dissing others will draw attention to them.

by Anonymousreply 249February 20, 2021 1:00 PM

[quote] Gen Z users criticized millennials for saying words like “doggo” and “adulting,” living in one-bedroom apartments, oversharing their “Harry Potter” houses and being obsessed with avocado toast.

Rofl. I don't know why, but this just cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 250February 20, 2021 2:35 PM

GenZ is definitely winning this "war."

They're younger and smarter than Millennials. Always will be.

by Anonymousreply 251February 20, 2021 10:01 PM

Ok Grandmother Karen R251, whatever you say, I'm sure you're unbiased

by Anonymousreply 252February 21, 2021 4:03 AM

All these useless labels exist only in US and nowhere else in the world. And DL is for some reason especially obsessed with it.

by Anonymousreply 253February 21, 2021 4:11 AM

Poor, bitter Millennial at R252.

You're getting old, hun.

Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 254February 21, 2021 11:06 AM

In the wink of an eye Millennials will be yelling, " Get off my lawn;" Because they are monsters!! 😂😂 GenXer, lmao!

by Anonymousreply 255February 21, 2021 11:27 AM

Like you're becoming so young yourself Gen Xer R254. Shouldn't you be taking advantage of your AARP discount or maybe it's time to start shopping around for some dentures

by Anonymousreply 256February 21, 2021 11:33 AM

I hear they're starting to sell mobility scooters that play bad 80s music.😂😂

by Anonymousreply 257February 21, 2021 11:40 AM

[quote] I hear they're starting to sell mobility scooters that play bad 80s music.😂😂

Guess what's the decade next to the 80's, dear Millennial?

The 90's.

It's only a 10 year difference, so I wouldn't be so high and mighty if I were you.

by Anonymousreply 258February 21, 2021 11:42 AM

Dear R258 You would know. Your generation perfected the art of trying to be high and mighty, pointing fingers at everyone else. Meanwhile you're reaching 60 and you don't even know that you're the new Baby Boomers

by Anonymousreply 259February 21, 2021 11:45 AM

Mentioning that you're turning 60 shut ur ass up, didn't it, bitch R258?

by Anonymousreply 260February 21, 2021 12:12 PM

Millennials need to eat a dick and chill.

by Anonymousreply 261February 21, 2021 12:21 PM

[quote]I've heard Gen Xers say we're the "latch key" generation - and thus self-sufficient, independent. Yet, we went crazy with helicopter parenting and children as status and birthed millenials.

The first helicopter parents I ran into were parents of my fellow GenXer friends in college. It seemed about half of the kids at university had parents who wouldn't let them work and paid for everything, including expensive cars and vacations over break. The other half of us were baffled by this, we'd never seen anything like it in high school except for the occasional spoiled rich kid.

Now I wonder how many of those GenXers who had helicopter Boomer or Silent Gen parents went on to helicopter parent their OWN kids? Probably quite a few.

by Anonymousreply 262February 21, 2021 12:34 PM

Ageism sells. Capitalist society dictates that your life is worthless over the age of 35 and people take it for granted. It’s good for the stock market and you can sell a lot of anti-depressants to the elderly has-beens.

by Anonymousreply 263February 21, 2021 1:43 PM

Fetuses used to mature.

People under 45 in the US are like Pekingese dogs, bred to be stupid and to lie around and to growl if they don't get what they want brought to them. Useless, uneducated, terrible employees, disconnected from their contexts and unable to communicate without starting a sentence with "I," as in "I hate you because...."

And I'm 50.

by Anonymousreply 264February 21, 2021 2:01 PM

Why is there SO much discussion on generations? It seems endless and EVERYWHERE more than ever. Isn’t there anything else to talk about?? Especially here.

by Anonymousreply 265February 21, 2021 2:21 PM

[quote]R7 Gen X is the cool one because of our cool name and bad attitude.

And we have Brooke Shields on our side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266February 21, 2021 5:02 PM

R265?

ENOUGH!!!!

We heard you the first fucking 100 times.

Now please shut the fuck up!!!!

by Anonymousreply 267February 21, 2021 9:34 PM

I stand with Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 268February 21, 2021 9:36 PM

[quote]I personally don’t want to be associated with people who think Harry Potter movies are a personality trait,”

Best line.

by Anonymousreply 269February 21, 2021 9:55 PM

Why is the media manufacturing these non-existent wars between generations? Newsflash, most people don't care and aren't that bigoted to put millions of people into boxes. Nobody thought about this until Facebook and Buzzfeed.

I will say this a million times. Your upbringing, peer group, religion and environment plays a bigger role on your personality than the generation you are in. Terms like Boomer, Millennial, Gen X and Zoomer are absolutely useful just like horoscopes and reading palms

by Anonymousreply 270February 21, 2021 10:00 PM

I think reality shows have a lot to do with why people communicate as harshly as they do to one another.

People now think it's cute and funny to display the worst behavior you think you can get away with, reality shows made it cool.

American society is based too much on what popular culture promotes as cool. Even during the Obama presidency it was about how much cooler he was than the other candidates. On the right it's about who would you rather have a beer with. There is not much that is "adult" about popular figures or how they communicate. Even "journalists" try hard to be cool instead of just being good and professional at their jobs. We function on a high school standard of behavior and thinking.

by Anonymousreply 271February 21, 2021 10:12 PM

The biggest conflict in The US is between the rich minority and the poor majority which has been a thing since the foundation of the colonies. The rich were good at creating diversions (like mass media), creating false hope (American dream and exceptionalism) and of course manufacturing conflict (racism, xenophobia and fear-mongering) between marginalized groups. This so-called generational war is just another distraction from the real people screwing everyone (across the globe too) over across all age groups

by Anonymousreply 272February 21, 2021 10:13 PM

Omg R271 and R272 are so fucking tedious and tiresome.

Don't you EVER get tired of lecturing people?

by Anonymousreply 273February 22, 2021 8:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!