Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Warren Beatty & Shirley MacLaine

Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are the most unlikely celebrity siblings. They don't look, act or sound alike, and both have huge Hollywood reputations while taking separate paths in the same business.

Which one do you think is more talented?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 16, 2022 12:53 AM

Warren and Shirley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2020 6:52 AM

Shirley was the more talented. She was a triple threat, could act, sing and dance. Warren was just a pretty face.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2020 6:54 AM

I want my creme brûlée!

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2020 6:55 AM

They look somewhat alike (Shirl isn’t a real red head you know). Both have basically the same coloring (the type of fair skin you often only see with red heads, blue eyes that are small/almond shaped but wide set, and similar smiles).

More talented? I think Beatty is certainly more intelligent and I probably enjoy (most) of his best performances more than hers — he’s somewhat underrated as an actor, imo.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2020 6:56 AM

This scene tops them all!

[quote]It's past ten. My daughter is in pain. I don't understand why she has to have this pain. All she has to do is hold out until ten, and IT'S PAST TEN! My daughter is in pain, can't you understand that! GIVE MY DAUGHTER THE SHOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2020 7:01 AM

I always wondered how Warren fit in with the Rat Pack guys and that world, and how Shirley shoehorned her way into that boys club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2020 7:05 AM

They don't seem like brother and sister, unlike us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2020 7:12 AM

C'mon. You can't really compare. They are both extraordinarily talented and gifted in many but different ways. Warren's greatest talent is as a director. He doesn't sing and dance. Shirley doesn't direct. She's given more memorable acting performances.

It's amazing the careers each has had without either helping out the other. An incredible set of genes.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2020 7:13 AM

So Warren fucked everyone. How was he hung?

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2020 7:28 AM

So Warren fucked everyone. How was he hung?

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2020 7:29 AM

[R10], "My jaw aches at the thought." A line from "Angels in America."

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2020 7:32 AM

R2, Warren was also a triple threat in his day, he was an actor, director, and film producer.

I agree that they dont seem like siblings. They dont look alike, they dont have similar personas, and in decades of following Hollywood gossip, I've never heard much about them hanging out together.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2020 7:50 AM

[quote]I agree that they dont seem like siblings. They dont look alike, they dont have similar personas, and in decades of following Hollywood gossip, I've never heard much about them hanging out together.

Thank you! These were my thoughts swimming around in my head too, and I was totally shocked, when I heard they were sibs.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2020 8:29 AM

She mentions him in her book, so it’s not like they are estranged, just hanging out with different crowds. She is way into esoteric bullshit, I would try to stay away from her for that reason alone.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2020 8:38 AM

They are always there for each other at public tributes. I think they're quite close. It's Shirley who lives a less conventional life and is not so interested in family life. But if you've read her books, she loves her brother as much as she loves anyone. I admire her. She doesn't say things she doesn't mean. And Warren is deeply in love with his family. They are both devastatingly talented and unusually bright for showbiz folk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2020 11:19 AM

Shirley used to embarrass Warren a bit by examining their childhood and parents so publicly. Making jokes about his prowess with women. And some political differences, though both of them are very liberal. They're very close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2020 11:27 AM

I enjoy Shirley much more, far better actor. I find that Warren ruins movies for me, he's so sleazy. He has the most stereotypical Baby Boomer-esque “I own the world, I want pussy” attitude. Bulworth and Bonnie & Clyde are the only things I ever enjoyed him in. He has a rather unimpressive filmography, he was the type who’s ego was too big and he only took on “passion projects” and made a film every 4-8 years. Town & Country is an abomination and still one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. Shirley has Steel Magnolias and I love The Evening Star.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2020 12:03 PM

This is allegedly Warren, nude as a jaybird! I'd suck it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2020 1:08 PM

Shirley is/was such an over the top attention seeking freako, that Warren wins by default. And you can't sing, Shirley , STOP.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2020 1:18 PM

That's a well known fake, R18.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2020 1:19 PM

I loved Warren in “Heaven can Wait”

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2020 1:31 PM

Think they fucked?

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2020 3:28 PM

Pussy Pack: Jack Nicholson, Harry Reems, Warren Beatty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2020 4:04 PM

R20 no it isn't

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2020 4:05 PM

R17 Warren is about 10 years too old to be a 'Baby Boomer' he was born in 1937 a couple of years before WWII. They both qualify in the 'Post War Cohort' generation (post WWI)

Shirley's daughter Sachi Parker is a 'Baby Boomer II' having been born in 1956.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2020 4:06 PM

R25 hence the “-esque”, you fucking hall monitor retard.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2020 4:12 PM

Is that really Warren naked? Because I've wanked over it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2020 5:23 PM

The 80s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 4:49 PM

Customer service is so bad now that I've had a few "give my daughter the shot" moments.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 8:54 PM

How does Warren stack up in the 60s-70s leading pretty boy actor question? That would be Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds etc. I think early Beatty (Splendor in the Grass , Mickey One) was a Montgomery Clift imitator, but he's at least as good as Redford, and much better with women onscreen. Or this a different thread?

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2020 9:12 PM

R30 he’s easily the best of that bunch.

Redford has given a couple of very good performances (All the President’s Men comes to mind) but he never really took risks and it’s true his chemistry with women was often lacking. He never took a true leap like Beatty did with Bugsy, for example.

The other two aren’t even really worth mentioning, certainly not Ryan O’Neal.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2020 9:16 PM

Beatty's performance in Reds was also good. I think his reputation as a pussy hound overshadowed his acting and nobody could get past that and still can't. Redford was the golden boy from a popularity standpoint. He was the blonde Adonis but his performances lacked passion, as if he were always holding back.

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2020 9:43 PM

Burt Reynolds has deliverance, starting over and a couple of other gems to his credit. Burt was a great actor, the problem was in the choice of material he chose to do.

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2020 9:50 PM

Shirley is WAY more talented than Warren. She is one of the great American actresses who can handle both drama and comedy, very unaffected and unmannered actress, I love her.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2020 10:04 PM

Those two movies were about it for Reynolds, R33. By NO MEANS was Burt a great actor or even a good actor except upon occasion. And he had the power as a top box office attraction in the 70s to buy some quality material get financing on his name and do something really above and beyond the usual crap.

Whatever talent Shirley MacLaine had was overshadowed by her ability to be annoying every second of her damned life. Very unaffected and unmannered? Gee, that's a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 35March 30, 2020 10:07 PM

R32 agree with all that. I love Bulworth too. He definitely took risks and he also proved himself to be great at comedy, often darkly funny. I agree MacLaine is also very talented but ...unaffected and unmannered??? Sheesh. Also just a terribly annoying and unpleasant person, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2020 10:21 PM

Warren Beatty. So vain. Probably thinks the thread is about him.

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2020 10:24 PM

Anyone read Shirley's book? I remember there was a story when it was promoted about Sachi being left alone at boarding school in Europe during Christmas break.

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2020 10:28 PM

R38 Sachi's book

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 10:29 PM

"Redford was the golden boy from a popularity standpoint. He was the blonde Adonis but his performances lacked passion, as if he were always holding back. "

There are actors who can stand still and let the audience see what's running through their heads without their moving a muscle. Redford was the actor who could stand perfectly still, and let the audience assume there was something running through his head. It's why he was always better at drama than comedy, in drama he could let the audience fill in the blanks, in comedy an actor actually has to do something.

Beatty could do comedy, I'll give him that. He wasn't much of an actor, but he had enough superficial charm to put him over the top in the right role.

by Anonymousreply 40March 30, 2020 10:39 PM

R38 Yes, we recently discussed it here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 30, 2020 10:40 PM

R40 Paul Newman was truly the actor who could do that (and he’s a far better actor than all of the above). I’m not sure how much was actually going through Redford’s head a lot of those times. Like you said, I think the audience was doing a lot of that filling in for him.

There are a handful of performances of his that I really enjoy, though.

by Anonymousreply 42March 30, 2020 10:55 PM

Shirley has more talent and is also more obnoxious. Perhaps the two go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2020 11:43 PM

Yeah - Newman is the only one of that bunch that I think is a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2020 11:56 PM

"Redford was the actor who could stand perfectly still, and let the audience assume there was something running through his head."

Um, no. Even Streisand spewed that bullshit, "there's something going on behind his eyes." Guess it made her believe that he wasn't ignoring her in The Way We Were. No one ever assumed anything about Redford, he was as stiff as a block and his acting was constipated. Pretty, but no sex appeal whatsoever. Moviegoers loved his looks and his peroxide, the end.

Warren had a lot of sex appeal, so did O'Neal and Reynolds, though Burt was so bad as an actor he was unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2020 12:13 AM

Redford held back a lot in terms of his range for whatever reason. He was seemingly afraid to be vulnerable on film.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2020 6:46 PM

Patricia Routledge said in an interview that Shirley had her lines cut from the movie they made together as she didn't want to be upstaged. She strongly implied Maclaine was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2020 7:02 PM

R47, She was right.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2020 7:07 PM

Sachi Parker's book is a must read for stories like that.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2020 8:34 PM

I was going to mention her, R49.

It's safe to say that out the two, Warren was the better parent. At his none of his children wrote a tell-all book on how shitty of a parent he was to them.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2020 8:56 PM

*At least

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2020 8:57 PM

OP forgot their sister Shitley MacLaine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2020 9:05 PM

It was rumored that young Warren had a generous 10” and really didn’t need any talent.

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2020 9:19 PM

I always found Beatty a very mannered, limited actor. I tried to watch McCABE AND MRS. MILLER again recently and could barely stand him - the film only comes alive when Julie Christie is onscreen. The only films where he is effective IMO are BONNIE & CLYDE, SHAMPOO (no stretch there), and to a lesser degree REDS.

MacLaine is also pretty limited, really. Yes, she can be effective in drama and comedy, but her roles have generally been within a certain range. She is a good - not great - dancer (both Chita Rivera and Paula Kelly outdo her in SWEET CHARITY) and a passable singer. She did take some risks in the early 70's with films like DESPERATE CHARACTERS (where she's miscast but does pretty well) and the lousy POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY but when she tries to do "character roles" like MADAME SOUSATZKA, she's awful.

Other than THE APARTMENT and TERMS OF ENDEARMENT, I liker her best in POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE.

by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2020 9:23 PM

Not a good match.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2020 9:49 PM

One reason Shirley flopped in "Sweet Charity" is though she is a fine actress (her best talent), she was not a star dancer like Gwen Verdon, the role's originator who really was a star dancer who was a brilliant actress and an effective but limited singer because of smoking. But Shirley was a natural actress, terrific in things like "The Apartment", "Gambit", "Some Came Running" and "Terms of Endearment", among many others. Her film debut in Hitchcock's "Trouble with Harry" showed she was a natural with a kooky individual manner (though I wonder how original possibility Carol Haney might have been).

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2020 10:40 PM

They seriously considered Shirley to star in the movie version of Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2020 11:34 PM

Legend has it that Warren once offered himself to Tennessee Williams for a role.

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2020 12:00 AM

Isn't it ironic that the child of one of the greatest lotharios of all time became a ftm?

by Anonymousreply 59April 1, 2020 12:03 AM

Pulling out your big dick and letting a drunk old fag suck it is not exactly the casting couch R58. Warren is still a gold star straight man.

by Anonymousreply 60April 1, 2020 12:04 AM

R58 That was 'The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone' with Vivien Leigh.

He got the part......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 1, 2020 12:09 AM

Both Shirley and Warren were grotesque narcissists. Apparently there mother was one too, and had little love to give them unless they achieved things. They grew up and spent their salad days being ridiculously self-centered.

Shirley still is--even in an industry famous for its narcissists, she stands out as a real piece of work. She is not going to be missed by many people when she dies other than gay men who liked her performances. Her daughter made very clear in her memoir what she thinks of her mother.

From what I understand, Warren became a much more generous person once he married Annette Bening and they had children together.

by Anonymousreply 62April 1, 2020 12:22 AM

He was embarrassingly awful in 'The Roman Spring of Mrs.Stone' . It was made even more evident because the rest of the cast were great.

I'm sure that even in the 1960's people thought he'd fucked someone to his role.

by Anonymousreply 63April 1, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote] Pulling out your big dick and letting a drunk old fag suck it is not exactly the casting couch [R58]. Warren is still a gold star straight man.

You realize that makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 64April 1, 2020 1:13 AM

It makes perfect sense to good looking men with heavy dicks. You don't recall by how fast you fall to your knees R64? A cocksucking white fag is powerless.

by Anonymousreply 65April 1, 2020 1:29 AM

*how fast you fell to your knees....

by Anonymousreply 66April 1, 2020 1:33 AM

After all these years you would think that Shirley and Warren would have made a movie together - but they haven't and never will. I suspect that there is a competitiveness and an uneasiness between them. SMILE for the camera when together in public but making a movie together would be too much for them, including sibling rivalry.

by Anonymousreply 67April 1, 2020 1:51 AM

I believe that Shirley's New Age beliefs have cost her some popularity in Hollywood, some celebrities are wary of her, possibly including her own brother. How many UFO's can a person see in a lifetime, and in one book she even stated that President Eisenhower had a meeting with aliens back in the 1950's, and also claimed that when Hitler died his soul was put in a warehouse in the next phase of life. Reviewers of her books have not been kind to her. She seems to be a fount of information of the very strange type. She IS interesting but be a tad careful with her belief system.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68April 1, 2020 2:04 AM

They're both a hundred years old, but Shirley has had a spectacular career in film and beyond. Who the fuck is avoiding her because of her belief in past lives and UFOs? No one. She got every part for the acerbic, funny angry and unexpected woman, mother, grandmother, matriarch or dowager in your sixties and seventies that you can get. In FILMS. She was more enjoyable in all of them than Meryl is in anything.

Warren doesn't know what to do. He's like Streisand. So concerned with his visage and image that he talks himself out of every good part. Once every 10 years he makes a film, vanity intact.

by Anonymousreply 69April 1, 2020 2:13 AM

R69 I read an excellent review of Shirley in a film star book and it stated that she is not able to rise above the material given her as an actress. She has limitations and is a good actress but not a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 70April 1, 2020 2:18 AM

What does DL think of Shirley's stint on Downton Abbey, going toe-to-toe with Dame Maggie Smith?

by Anonymousreply 71April 1, 2020 3:16 AM

Enjoy someone else's opinions, by all means R70. Where did I say that Shirley Maclaine was a "great" actress? You could check out her many talents. She's a unique performer. One of the true triple threats if maybe not the best at any one of them. But she is fantastically talented and accomplished. When she said that she deserved to win that Oscar, she wasn't wrong. Shirley can sing, dance, do comedy and drama - has been the Broadway and film ingenue of all times. Her story and life and personality and trajectory have been fantastically unique. Is she greater than Streep? No. Is she as dull and bad as Streep can be? No. It was a fucking comment you dead eyed weirdo R70. Watch her old films too. Shirley was always modern. And she's performed the world as a disciplined dancer and performer in unique stage shows. She's not the best at anything - but what other movie star does this?

Her ordinariness and quirkiness and mob connections maybe worked against her. She's not a warm woman but funny and very intelligent. Few women in film are so multi talented. And yes, she is a deeply gifted actress too. Who cares what your article said R70? Streep is the most overpraised woman to ever make bad films. I imagine that's what set you off. Shirley doesn't give a rusty fuck what you think of her. She loved to perform. They do it for themselves you know. She's a dancer at heart. That's all showbiz without the Liza begging for applause or Meryl's fake humility for grande accolades. MacLaine is a most disciplined and appealing star. On screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 1, 2020 3:16 AM

Maggie wiped the floor with her, I can barely remember anything about her character. Kudos to Shirley for trying though.

by Anonymousreply 73April 1, 2020 4:06 AM

Shirley was out of practice acting-wise (as Jack Lemmon might say in "The Apartment"). Or like Mary Martin said about Lerner and Loewe when she was considering doing "My Fair Lady" and they played her a few songs, "Those poor boys have lost their talent". Untrue, in Lerner & Loewe's case, possibly true in Shirley's.

by Anonymousreply 74April 1, 2020 4:20 AM

Downton Abbey work is not acting. Maggie Smith is no longer an actress either. She's a wind up hag of her greatest ticks and tricks. It's a stupid comparison regardless. Maclaine is much more American, entirely more physical and exuberant, a thoughtful actress but not a trained one. Maggie Smith shades and controls her farts. She's great on stage, but way too broad on screen. All those ticks and twitches, the swoop of her vulturous voice, the ridiculous crank of her neck mechanism. MacLaine is for the most part a far more natural and surprising actress. She's quite inspired a lot of the time. Just because she's not a tragedienne, doesn't make her a lightweight. There's pathos in her movement, seriousness in her small expressions and a sizable intellect in her approach to work. She's the star of one of the greatest tearjerkers of all time - and how she builds that performance is why she earns the tears. It's unclockable. And foolproof. To this day.

Plus she was around in the 70s and 80s to make a few interesting choices that no one saw. I'm all for Shirley. So many old gays here with mommy issues. Judge her on her work. If you can separate actresses from you mommy.

by Anonymousreply 75April 1, 2020 4:33 AM

R75 My mother wasn't an actress and I can take or leave Shirley MacLaine. No deep seated issues - just not one of my favorite actresses.

by Anonymousreply 76April 1, 2020 4:40 AM

R75 I agree with most of that but imo after Terms she basically packaged that character into a bunch of ticks and twitches as well — for just about anything she did after that. It’s in large part why she became so easy to cast in later years — everyone knew what was meant by a “Shirley MacLaine role.”

by Anonymousreply 77April 1, 2020 4:45 AM

[quote] Maggie wiped the floor with her, I can barely remember anything about her character. Kudos to Shirley for trying though.

I agree. She couldn't keep up with Maggie. Even Shirley's comedic timing, something she was famous for back in the day, was eerily off on Downton. As a fan of hers, I felt the performance was a let-down, to say the least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 1, 2020 4:46 AM

Gee, but you're dumb R76. Your mom was an actress alright.

Here is Shirley proving that she was a great singing actress LIVE performer. Ignore the Liz Taylor photos. (Though Liz was a most deluded, pampered and faded star.) This recording is hard to come by. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 1, 2020 4:46 AM

"Warren is still a gold star straight man."

I can't be the only one who doubts that!

Sure, the man is obviously attracted to women, but he lived the life of a narcissistic Hollywood sex addict for so long that he probably slipped up at some point.

by Anonymousreply 80April 1, 2020 4:54 AM

Shirley threw her small child on a plane to go half way around the world by herself so she could be abused by her father while at least Joan had the decency to abuse her children in her own home.

Who was the better mother I ask you?

by Anonymousreply 81April 1, 2020 5:07 AM

R80, I'm sure Warren has had his share of threesomes, some with another male.

by Anonymousreply 82April 1, 2020 5:07 AM

To me, Shirley seems 20 years older than Warren even though she only about three. It's her plastic surgery that's always made me barf, Warren's is much more subtle, much better job.

by Anonymousreply 83April 1, 2020 1:56 PM

Dead eye troll @R71! And way over the top as usual, like a fourteen years old girl defending her teen idol.

"Shirley can sing" That's a matter of opinion, and most people do not share yours.

R71/R75 etc, you're really working overtime.

by Anonymousreply 84April 1, 2020 2:26 PM

Oops - R71 should be R72. Sorry to make that mistake, R71.

by Anonymousreply 85April 1, 2020 2:27 PM

Where am I going and what will I find? What's in this grab bag that I call my mind?

by Anonymousreply 86April 1, 2020 2:59 PM

Who wrote that crap at r79 - Linda Belcher?

by Anonymousreply 87April 1, 2020 3:05 PM

R82, Madonna said Warren told her he wanted to explore that part of sexuality, but was scared off because of the AIDS crisis. Nobody raised an eyebrow.

by Anonymousreply 88April 1, 2020 3:06 PM

Me thinks he explored it long before AIDS was afoot.

by Anonymousreply 89April 1, 2020 3:09 PM

I'm not entirely sure that there wasn't a switched at birth situation at work with these two siblings that couldn't look, sound, behave, or have any common demeanor to indicate they were even brought up in the same family.

by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2020 3:56 PM

I actually liked her in In Her Shoes. It felt like she dropped her kooky mannerisms and gave a performance.

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2020 4:53 PM

Has Shirley ever bared her bosom?

by Anonymousreply 92April 1, 2020 6:11 PM

R92, Yes.

DESPERATE CHARACTERS(1971)

Shirley MacLaine had a guy unbutton her shirt and expose her breasts, which he grabbed while kissing her. We then saw her lying naked in bed, showing her breasts again as the guy made out with her and she half-heartedly tried to get him to stop.

by Anonymousreply 93April 1, 2020 8:15 PM

Thanks R93 I'm off to wank now x

by Anonymousreply 94April 1, 2020 9:22 PM

Laura and Tommy were lovers. He wanted to give her everything. Flowers, presents, and most of all a wedding ring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 1, 2020 9:39 PM

What's this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 1, 2020 9:44 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 1, 2020 9:46 PM

Warren getting some MILF Joan Collins pussy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 1, 2020 9:51 PM

Photo at R96 looks like IRMA LA DOUCE.

by Anonymousreply 99April 1, 2020 10:27 PM

R98, She was hardly a MILF sixty years ago, when that photo was taken.

by Anonymousreply 100April 1, 2020 10:55 PM

I loved Irma la Douche!

by Anonymousreply 101April 1, 2020 10:58 PM

Irma La Douce = Green Legs and Ham

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 3, 2020 9:30 AM

The true Irma La Douce... Elizabeth Seal doing "Hey, Look Me Over" from "Wildcat" around that time, showing how great she must have been as Irma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 3, 2020 6:40 PM

Irma is such a terrible movie but it was Wilder's last big hit. I think it might have been better if Laughton hadn't died and been replaced by Jacobi.

I always wondered why Bennett hired Seal for Chorus Line when it opened in London and then caused such a todo by almost immediately firing her. Was she any worse than so many who played Cassie?

by Anonymousreply 104April 3, 2020 8:53 PM

Lou Jacobi is perfectly fine in "Irma" -- plenty of other stuff to blame, including getting rid of all the songs.

by Anonymousreply 105April 3, 2020 10:31 PM

Jacobi is fine as he is in everything. Laughton would have been wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 106April 3, 2020 11:27 PM

R93 Thanks for that little known gem. Shirl serves up emotional vulnerability realness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107April 5, 2020 3:21 AM

Shirley has a grating personality.

And a heavy addiction to creme brûlée’.

by Anonymousreply 108April 5, 2020 3:42 AM

Your fancy french accents are nuts R108. A lot of work for no purpose. Nothing original either. MacLaine is a great film actress. Yeah, a great one. You're a hack who knows his keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 109April 5, 2020 5:05 AM

I saw this as a 12 year old in 1964 and that sumptuous Edith Head wardrobe confirmed that I was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 5, 2020 5:30 AM

Shitley MacLaine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 5, 2020 5:44 AM

Warren is flat footed. The other asset is average at best.

by Anonymousreply 112April 5, 2020 6:08 AM

Sometimes hours will slip by as I try to decide which one is more insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 113April 5, 2020 6:47 AM

Jenny McCarthy and Melissa McCarthy are two famous people you never think of together and they even have the same last name

by Anonymousreply 114May 18, 2021 4:35 AM

Really, they’re both rather insufferable.

MacLaine is by far more talented, though. The fact that they’d even be considered on the same level shows how much harder women have to work than men to be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 115May 18, 2021 4:43 AM

It is strange when there are celebrity siblings that don’t really seem similar at all. Shirley and Warren are like that and I feel the same about Loretta Lynn and Crystal Gayle. In both cases the elder sibling who was a star first is the more talented(Shirley and Loretta).

by Anonymousreply 116May 18, 2021 5:00 AM

Warren seems like he would tan easily and Shirley probably sunburns easily and has fair skin.

How are these two related?

by Anonymousreply 117May 18, 2021 5:44 AM

Two enigmas

by Anonymousreply 118July 25, 2021 3:52 AM

Warren loves his ass played with while getting blown.

by Anonymousreply 119July 25, 2021 4:43 AM

Beatty is an incredible talent. Heck, Bonnie and Clyde alone will do it. Shampoo is one of the best films (satires) ever made- Shirley is an actress and showgirl, also very intelligent. I prefer Beatty over Redford any day. Beatty oozes sex while Redford is perhaps the best looking unsexy actor of his day. When well cast, he’s ok- he practically ruins Out of Africa and Way We Were.

by Anonymousreply 120July 25, 2021 5:38 AM

Shirley is a wonderful actress. I don’t really have anything to say about Warren Beatty. I’m 42 years old.

by Anonymousreply 121July 25, 2021 8:29 AM

Splendor in the Grass and Bonnie and Clyde are the only films I love Beatty in.

Shirley is just tacky razzle dazzle and new age insanity. I know she is considered a great film star but I was always turned off by her persona, and haven’t seen any of them…..she was ok in Being There.

by Anonymousreply 122July 26, 2021 9:08 PM

Warren is even good in Ishtar (1987). Always interesting on screen.

by Anonymousreply 123July 26, 2021 9:16 PM

Warren and Shirley lived in my neighborhood (when they were teens) at 930 N. Liberty St., Arlington, VA. Yes, the house is still there.

by Anonymousreply 124July 26, 2021 9:20 PM

I always thought Shirley was one of the most dependable actresses out there. You knew that she'd at least give an entertaining performance even if the material wasn't great. I can't imagine anyone else playing Aurora in Terms of Endearment.

And for all the stink about her not being a star dancer in Sweet Charity, she's one of the better examples of star casting in a big Hollywood stage to screen adaptation. She sings and dances the role very well and better than any other star would have at the time.

In real life, she strikes me as kooky and maybe a bit spoiled or self-centered at times, but not really narcissistic. Given the chances she's taken and the vanity she's shed in many of her roles, she doesn't strike me as someone who only makes movies to go on an ego trip. She's never done anything she wasn't capable of pulling off.

by Anonymousreply 125July 26, 2021 9:54 PM

Shirley is the better actor and Warren is the better - director?

by Anonymousreply 126July 26, 2021 10:04 PM

I think they look alike. Now when I see Warren I can’t help but see Shirley in his face too. I like his films but I don’t find him to be a great actor. He’s serviceable in most of his films though and he picked roles well aside from a few flops I won’t mention.

My favourite films of his are “the parallax view” and “shampoo”. I’m also partial to “all fall down” but I think that’s for Brandon de Wilde’s character.

by Anonymousreply 127July 26, 2021 10:33 PM

r120 Beatty never really oozed sex to me either.

by Anonymousreply 128July 26, 2021 10:40 PM

Who just said Shirley is not a narcissist?

by Anonymousreply 129July 27, 2021 9:44 PM

What happened to Shirley circa 1970 to make her go into tv? Was her movie career considered over after “sweet charity” and “two mules for sister Sarah”? Did she have financial troubles like Doris Day, anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 130July 28, 2021 2:55 AM

I can't even imagine them having a conversation, much less grow up together in the same house

by Anonymousreply 131July 28, 2021 2:56 AM

I find Beatty a little hard to watch pre “Bonnie & Clyde” because he’s far too affected in his roles. I still love some of those films though but he’s often the weakest link in them acting-wise. By the time of “bonnie & clyde” he seemed more relaxed and I guess the role and the film fit him like a glove. Then in the 70s I can see his style had changed and his performances were more subtle and rivalling others at the time like Robert Redford and Paul Newman… the thing is in his early work he didn’t have a persona of his own it all felt learned and copied from others, as Hepburn would say: I could hear tick tick tick… I feel he found his own persona around the time of “bonnie”

by Anonymousreply 132July 28, 2021 3:11 AM

Sorry, Hepburn would say: click click click

by Anonymousreply 133July 28, 2021 3:21 AM

[R56]: You can see Carol Haney onscreen in the movie of “Pajama Game” (1957). Certainly kooky. Hoarse voice, maybe due to smoking? But her performance is theatrical, probably due to her having performed the role onstage for a while. Her acting is similar to that of Carol Channing. Perfect for an auditorium. But not subtle.

by Anonymousreply 134August 20, 2021 4:48 PM

Both are talented, but Shirley gets the edge. She had a bigger acting career with more memorable roles, mostly leading roles.

by Anonymousreply 135August 20, 2021 5:58 PM

So interesting that Shirley is the one mentioned alongside machismo Rat Pack members Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy - and never ladies man Warren

by Anonymousreply 136August 20, 2021 10:31 PM

Mr Redford was really good in The Way We Were, IMO

by Anonymousreply 137August 20, 2021 10:45 PM

Janis Paige said in her auto bio that Shirley recommended a voice coach for Janis and he was an absolute disaster. He ruined her vocal cords and she needed surgery . From what she described this man, there’s no way that Shirley actually used this fraud coach . I believe it was intentional, just to be a cunt

by Anonymousreply 138August 22, 2021 4:07 AM

Warren and Shirley's childhood home in Virginia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 22, 2021 4:13 AM

I'd give Shirley the edge because she's in one of my top ten movies: The Apartment.

by Anonymousreply 140August 22, 2021 4:39 AM

One of my favorite Shirley MacLaine performances ever was in The Turning Point. Watching her and Anne Bancroft play off each other was like watching a master class in the art of acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 22, 2021 4:40 AM

Shirley is talented, no question. Just gives me bad vibes

by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2021 4:50 AM

That masturbation scene in Being There was so hilariously done she nearly stole the movie from Peter Sellers.

In her prime, she could do anything, drama or comedy, with ease.

by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2021 8:26 AM

I'm a big fan of both. He was breathtakingly beautiful for a time and I'm sure Tennessee Williams got to suck the well established big dick that only Annette was able to tie up. I think they were both really talented. Both good actors. Warren could also direct a good movie. Both Reds and Bulworth are my two favorite movies he made. Gorgeous man. Like Robert Redford and Paul Newman striking onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2021 8:41 AM

I've just wiki'd Janis Paige. Unless I'm counting wrongly, she was 79 when she went to the voice coach. Who still has a singing voice at 79?

Apart from Sinatra, and that's debatable.

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2021 10:47 AM

Good point r145. Janis is a great lady! Everyone liked her

by Anonymousreply 146August 23, 2021 2:32 AM

Who has more Hollywood dirt?

by Anonymousreply 147October 2, 2021 4:22 AM

Here’s Shirl being a cunt just for laughs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 2, 2021 5:49 AM

Why do they have different surnames?

by Anonymousreply 149October 2, 2021 2:12 PM

Shirley Maclaine's Biography

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150December 11, 2021 10:21 PM

[Quote] How does Warren stack up in the 60s-70s leading pretty boy actor question? That would be Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds etc. I think early Beatty (Splendor in the Grass , Mickey One) was a Montgomery Clift imitator, but he's at least as good as Redford, and much better with women onscreen. Or this a different thread?

Alan Bates!

by Anonymousreply 151December 11, 2021 10:26 PM

[Quote] I've just wiki'd Janis Paige. Unless I'm counting wrongly, she was 79 when she went to the voice coach. Who still has a singing voice at 79? Apart from Sinatra, and that's debatable.

Marilyn Maye!

by Anonymousreply 152December 11, 2021 10:26 PM

930 N. Liberty St., Arlington, VA.

It's there on Google Street View.

Red brick with a blue sign saying ADT Security Home Monitoring.

by Anonymousreply 153December 11, 2021 10:40 PM

They are as different from each other as the Arquettes

by Anonymousreply 154December 11, 2021 10:47 PM

Both are pretty limited all the way around. Beatty did manage to find someone who turned him into a father whereas Shirly sent her kid to live with her "husband" in Japan, so I guess he is slightly more of a human.

I don't get the love for Maclaine in "Terms of Endearment", a predictable film (spoiler alert: the daughter dies in the end) where her innovation is to play an angry, brittle version of her old kook roles. Her subsequent roles were basically variations on this.

by Anonymousreply 155December 11, 2021 11:13 PM

Warren was shrewd enough in Hollywood to produce and star in "Bonnie and Clyde" when he was thirty

by Anonymousreply 156December 11, 2021 11:23 PM

I first noticed her in "Terms in Endearment" and think she's a great actress

I am surprised by her early success since she's somewhat fair and plain-looking, isn't an outstanding singer or presence

by Anonymousreply 157December 11, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] I first noticed her in "Terms in Endearment"

She was a hasbeen at that time.

by Anonymousreply 158December 11, 2021 11:38 PM

If they did a 23 and me, they'd probably find out they have a different parent

by Anonymousreply 159March 20, 2022 2:16 AM

Not really r159. Even though they don't look much alike, Warren's kids, especially his daughters, look strongly like Shirley. One of his daughters is her doppelganger: red hair, pale skin, gamine features.

by Anonymousreply 160March 20, 2022 2:57 AM

I remember reading an interview with Shirley way back when, and the interviewer did that thing where she (or he) named people Shirley had been associated with, and she was supposed to respond with a one or two word answer describing them.

When Warren Beatty came up, Shirley's response was "unrequited love".

That kind of made me sad to read. I think it was around the time of "Terms of Endearment" and Shirley's peak New Age kookiness. After reading that, I imagined they were somewhat estranged. In those days, you never saw them together, and they rarely spoke about each other, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 161March 20, 2022 3:11 AM

Warren and Shirley would not have stood for OscarsSoHoodRat

by Anonymousreply 162March 29, 2022 5:44 AM

“Reds” is one of my favorite movies. It should have won the Oscar for Best Picture. Beatty did win for Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 163March 29, 2022 12:41 PM

R7- They are alike in one way-

He’s a HOMO and she’s a LESBO.

by Anonymousreply 164March 29, 2022 12:48 PM

R25- Warren Beatty is a baby BUSTER

by Anonymousreply 165March 29, 2022 12:51 PM

R25 Beatty and MacLaine are members of the silent generation, in between the greatest generation and the boomers.

by Anonymousreply 166March 29, 2022 12:54 PM

Warren is incredibly talented and gorgeous. I always admired him. He’s a true movie star.

by Anonymousreply 167March 29, 2022 1:31 PM

Joan Collins used to say that Warren would faint when he had an erection, because there was not enough blood left for his brain.

by Anonymousreply 168March 29, 2022 1:42 PM

R167- Sorry but at 84 years old NO ONE is gorgeous anymore.

by Anonymousreply 169March 29, 2022 1:47 PM

It twirled up!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 15, 2022 6:16 PM

R81.

She sent her daughter to live with the child's father.

MacLaine was the primary earner, this makes sense.

Everything else does not make sense.

by Anonymousreply 171July 15, 2022 6:44 PM

Shirley of course

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 15, 2022 6:46 PM

The ex husband was a grifter, he roped MacLaine in and proceeded to rip her off for decades for an obscene amount of money. He lied about everything and lived a completely separate life from his wife in Japan with a side piece. Sashis' memoir is more damning against the dad when you get through it. Sashi accused dad of neglect,mental,physical and sexual abuse. Mom just wasn't there and when she was, Mom was a typical actor, self absorbed and competitive.

by Anonymousreply 173July 15, 2022 7:00 PM

But MacLaine sent the daughter to him absolving herself of all responsibility for her child. I assume she told her daughter she was getting nothing that she was leaving everything to the housekeeper or some guru and therefore the book was written. It is depressing to read when you're such a fan of someone and it pretty much rings true.

by Anonymousreply 174July 15, 2022 7:07 PM

Equal- Shirley was a showgirl (could dance, not sing much better than anyone off the street) and writer.. Both good actors. Warren was a great film maker- Bonnie and Clyde, Reds,, Shampoo are very good films. So they are quite different but both very talented.

by Anonymousreply 175July 15, 2022 7:10 PM

..but can Warren do this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 15, 2022 7:30 PM

Shirley got some very hot cock in her day, so I'd go with her.

by Anonymousreply 177July 15, 2022 8:17 PM

[quote] Warren was a great film maker- Bonnie and Clyde, Reds,, Shampoo are very good films.

Reds is the only film out of those three that he directed.

by Anonymousreply 178July 15, 2022 11:24 PM

Warren is not a great filmmaker. His films could have been directed by anyone. He did have interesting taste in the topics, though, and personally he's just essentially a Beverly Hills limousine liberal.

by Anonymousreply 179July 15, 2022 11:32 PM

Datalounge scares me sometimes for its ability to read my mind. I was just thinking about these two talents last night.

My mother snd I used to talk about how different they were.

by Anonymousreply 180July 15, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote]Shirley got some very hot cock in her day, so I'd go with her.

Warren could have gotten the hottest cock in his day.

by Anonymousreply 181July 15, 2022 11:43 PM

When I found out Hollywood Spa on Ivar used to be straight sex club "Plato's Retreat" in the 70s, the first celebrities I thought that must have gone there were Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson

by Anonymousreply 182July 16, 2022 12:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!