Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SHITLEY MacLaine brags about her perfect life

"I eat what I want, sleep when I want!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293October 31, 2019 8:46 PM

And her daughter hates her, her career is over and she looks like shit.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2019 7:23 PM

All-you-can-eat creme brulee, bitches!!

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2019 7:25 PM

Sounds good to me!!

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2019 7:26 PM

[quote] All-you-can-eat creme brulee, bitches!!

She didn’t get to eat that when she wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2019 7:27 PM

She must be ninety years old by now, so I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2019 7:27 PM

I’m barely able to pay my rent this month.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2019 7:27 PM

I hope in her next life she is reincarnated into a bug.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2019 7:39 PM

That's okay, Sachi. When your mom dies, you can write a bestselling tell-all about her and rake in the big bucks for ye-

Oh, right.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2019 7:42 PM

Here she is on a trip to the grocery store in Malibu, acting and looking like a bag lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2019 7:42 PM

Shirley always looks like she's still smelling Debra Winger's farts.

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2019 7:43 PM

Even when young she always looks like some kind of weird, red haired gremlin. She was called "kooky" even way back when. If you believe her daughter's book, and I do, she's crazy and always was.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2019 7:44 PM

She looks exactly like her bitter mean old lady character in “Bernie”, [R9]

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2019 7:48 PM

Good for her. She’s worked hard and earned everything she has, good & bad.

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2019 7:49 PM

R11, lol.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2019 9:16 PM

Nice, Shirley drives a Toyota Prius.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2019 9:33 PM

I do all that now, far younger. She was always a bitter pill.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2019 9:35 PM

I used to be a big fan, then the Sachi bombshells came out and now I don't look at Shirley the same.

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2019 9:37 PM

Tell all about Shirley and her daughter, please.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2019 9:38 PM

You can get the book on ebay cheap. It's a kick and easy to believe. Every word.

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2019 9:40 PM

She's 102 she earned it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2019 9:57 PM

Didn't she claim she sent her daughter away as a child to protect her from terrorists who were threatening her life?!

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2019 9:59 PM

Carol Haney says hi

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2019 10:00 PM

She's great. Much more intelligent than your average actress and one with a healthy but expansive ego. Like many people in show business, she had no business having children. Shirley was wonderfully talented. Loves her showbiz peers. She just doesn't view everyone in showbiz as peers. I dig her. She's much more talented than Liza or Rita Moreno or Meryl for that matter. A very interesting actresses and a inviting funny performer who doesn't beg to be loved. Shirley is so much better than most of the old dames that DL eldergays idolize. She's not the best at anything. But she's good at everything.

Why do gay men have such mommy issues? Rhetorical. Shirley MacLaine is right to enjoy her life at 85. What else should anyone do? Eat, drink, sleep and only see who you enjoy - sounds just right. The other chapters are closed. If she can get closer to her daughter, she should make the effort. That does not mean taking on constant abuse and free floating tsouris from a disgruntled 60 year old.

It bugs boomers when their elderly parents lives go one without much need of their children's company or much desire to make amends. It's understandable. To your therapist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2019 10:07 PM

She was on Larry King in the 80's. I called in and got thru and asked her if she thought big movie musicals would make a come back. She didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2019 10:12 PM

[quote]And her daughter hates her, her career is over and she looks like shit.

You expect her to be the 'IT' girl in Hollywood at 85? She actually has a great career for an 85 year old actress. And you expect her to look great at 85? Sweetie, most people are fucking dead at 85.

Her daughter is a mess and possessed by demons.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2019 10:19 PM

Good advise- accept things as they are- look to animals for happiness. Animals and children almost never fail to bring happiness. I watched how much pleasure and meaning grandchildren gave my parents and I’ve also notice how the same works for beasties. You know the phrase, “bless the beasts and the children” and then “give them shelter from the storm”. Well if you do life will give back to you. Cat ladies and animal crazed old movie stars are happy!

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2019 10:20 PM

I tend to believe that Hollywood stars are terrible parents. They're so dishonest almost as a way of life (sham relationships, using surrogates (fake pregnancies)).

However, I admit that I have been entertained by Shirley MacLaine's performances.

She's 85 years old, no money problems, lives in Malibu, still driving (a Prius, apparently), doing her own shopping at a grocery store, etc. Sounds like a nice life to me.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2019 10:30 PM

[quote] And you expect her to look great at 85?

Yes. She obviously should be doing CrossFit.

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2019 10:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2019 10:38 PM

She eats what she wants, and sleeps when she wants, because she’s a former celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2019 10:39 PM

I adore MacLaine.

She should not have had a child.

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2019 10:46 PM

I think she’s tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2019 10:49 PM

I’ve never really cared for her, she seems to play the same character over and over

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2019 10:52 PM

Great gams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2019 11:01 PM

[quote]Here she is on a trip to the grocery store in Malibu, acting and looking like a bag lady.

At least Shirley pays for her groceries.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2019 11:03 PM

So Steve had to take care of the crotch fruit. Boo hoo.

I adored her books when a gayling, and found it fascinating on how the press turned on her for her very inoffensive beliefs and portrayed as a nutty as fuck nutbar.

I think she is cool

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote]Tell all about Shirley and her daughter, please.

This was covered extensively on the DL.

483 posts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2019 11:29 PM

I read the Sashi thread and now hate Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2019 12:51 AM

Wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT. Are none of you going to comment on R9's post? Shirley drives a Toyota Corolla?

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2019 1:20 AM

She breathes when she wants!.....for now!!

I will say this in Shirl's defense, as a successful, wealthy Hollywood actress she was once challenged about the relative external ease in all of her awareness and growth, and she admitted, "Spirituality is always better with room service", which I found very funny.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2019 1:39 AM

"Her daughter is a mess and possessed by demons."

No, her daughter seems very well adjusted, which is akin to a miracle, considering she had a crazy mother and pervy father. And I guess you think you're being clever by saying she's "possessed" by demons. For those of you who don't recognize the origins of your lame joke, I'll explain. Shirley MacLaine was an acquaintance of William Peter Blatty, author of "The Exorcist." The character of Chris McNeil was supposedly inspired by MacLaine; Chris McNeil is red haired, freckled, not very bright, foul mouthed, an atheist who nonetheless believes in supernatural phenomena, like levitation. She also has one child, a girl oddly named Regan, who she's photographed with in all the movie magazines. After "The Exorcist" hit it big, rumor had it that it was based on a true story, and that "Regan" was Sachi Parker. Of course it was utter bullshit, but the cover photo on the dust jacket for "The Exorcist" appeared to be a distorted photo of Sachi Parker. I can't remember the story behind that, but Parker talks about it in her book.

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2019 1:52 AM

We're you expecting a yellow Rolls Royce, r39?

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2019 1:53 AM

OP types jealous.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2019 2:07 AM

Pete Hamill dumped her for Jackie Onassis.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote]SHITLEY MacLaine brags about her perfect life

*perfect lives*

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2019 2:14 AM

If you ask me [I doubt any of you would!], it's not just celebrities who shouldn't have children. There are millions of totally fucked up NON-celebrities raising hoards of children in the wrong way as I write this. But I think if you've got any sense of yourself and self-worth, you become who you are [fuck I'm sounding like Dr. Fil via Oprah via J.Z. fuckin Knight] as you edge on your snake like belly into some form of adulthood. My grandmother abused my mother. My mother abused my sister. My sister systematically flung it into the faces of our parents that she was searching for her biological parents [we're both adopted], also announcing at social gatherings what she experienced at my mother's hands. I was a witness to this abuse at my mother's hands, and had occasion to break it up. Once, my mother was beating my sister with a badminton raquet in the next room and I went in and grabbed it from my mother's hands and said, "What're you planning on doing with this? PLAYING BADMINTON?" I never backed down from stating what I saw [mainly to my father, who denied it ever happened]. It was her fierce determination to shame and embarrass my parents that I found I couldn't get my head around. I supported her 100% without question during this period. She has failed heroically to do one one hundreth for me what I did for her. I've never had an urge to find my biological parents. The point of this shower of shit is that at some point you've got to stop blaming your parents. I know there are extreme cases, but it's not all celebs, kids. I read Shirley's books "Don't Fall Off the Mountain" and "You Can Get There from Here" when I was eleven or so. They're really great reads. Why did her daughter feel compelled to write a book about her mother? Was it the advance? Did her analyst suggest it? Did her 'inner voice' start pinging? There are so many other ways to expend energy. I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2019 2:15 AM

I thought she lived in Arizona. When did she move back to Cali?

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2019 2:17 AM

Shirley has decided that she is going to be a whirling dervish in her next life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2019 2:18 AM

Oops I meant New Mexico, but I just read the article. Guess she splits her time now between the two.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2019 2:19 AM

Jesus, r46, make an appointment.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2019 2:20 AM

Shirley MacLaine is the MOST annoying old time celebrity who ever lived. Limited in everything she ever tried to do - act, dance, sing (lol). Somehow the old bitch lives to annoy over and over. I wish she'd go the fuck away forever.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2019 2:20 AM

And like my mother she is alone, having driven everyone away.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2019 2:20 AM

I just googled the town she lives in New Mexico - wow, what a ghost town! She is out in the middle of nowhere!

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2019 2:21 AM

I have read a lot of Shirley's books. The early ones were the best when she just lightly touched on metaphysical spiritual incidents which made them interesting, but as time went on her books were drowning in UFO's, reincarnation, past lives, the year 2012, etc. which made them over-the-top and tedious. Note to Shirley: Less Is More!!!

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2019 2:24 AM

Does anyone believe her when she insists she and Sinatra never fucked?

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2019 2:26 AM

Shirley stated in one of her books that she has personal knowledge that President Eisenhower had a meeting with aliens back in the 1950's. Speechless...………..!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2019 2:29 AM

Honestly, her later work will be enjoyed for a long time. She's fantastic in her 70s movies too. Along with Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn - Shirley was just entering her 40s in the 1970s. The Possession of Joel Delaney, Two Mules for Sister Sara & A Delicate Balance are all interesting because of the very modern feel of a conflicted Shirley MaClaine. Then came The Turning Point and the best renaissance run that any actress has EVER had in middle age for the next twenty years! Everyone grows old or dies. Shirley doesn't try too hard to be witty. She's bored and cranky. Not as clever as she used to be. She's as crackpot as Marianne Williamson and as pragmatic as Obama. She's been a movie star for 60 years AND she cares more about politics than money! A true iconoclast. Bored with talking. Short on answers. A GREAT actress. Yes, great.

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2019 2:29 AM

Yes, r55, I believe it. Judy didn't fuck Sinatra either.

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2019 2:33 AM

Shirley often takes a UFO to town whenever she needs a lift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2019 2:34 AM

I don't remember her in "A Delicate Balance", which is probably a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2019 2:34 AM

If Shirley were truly a huge bitch she would've demanded some young clerk bring her groceries to her car and left the cart in the parking lot. But she did not, per R9!

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2019 2:37 AM

I always liked her....well, most of the time anyway. Boomer here, 41 yoa and I remember that my nut-job evangelical Christian parents HATed her when I was a young kid. They hated that she was an atheist, hated that she believed in past lives and reincarnation, hated that she was both a vocal and also respected celebrity (Academy Award) and finally hated that she was a "secular" (in an "evangelical" context - very stupid, but their verbiage not mine) celebrity who was getting attention on the talk show circuit. Naturally, I gravitated towards her years later when I was old enough to watch and care about her films. Much like Jane Fonda, she was quite maligned and disliked by conservatives of a certain age - yet often embraced by the generation or two after. I find her to be a very gifted actress with a very powerful presence (few actors have her "force" and confidence. I have not read her daughter's book (celebrities being so-so parents are nothing new), but will. Whatever the case, I very much enjoy Shirley in most of her movies. She does seem to play somewhat similar characters, but what actor doesn't? Most do.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2019 2:38 AM

R58, Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2019 2:40 AM

I'm not clicking, r63, I refuse to pay it any mind.

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2019 2:42 AM

"Didn't she claim she sent her daughter away as a child to protect her from terrorists who were threatening her life?!"

No. She said a friend of hers told her there was talk of The Mob kidnapping her daughter in order to "appropriate your talent. They want to own you and this is how they'd threaten to do it." She claimed to have said in a rage "You tell those people to go fuck themselves. If they so much as cross to my side of a wide street or come within the same city as my daughter, I will call the President of the United States and every fucking reporter I know. I'll blow the whistle publicly on not only them but their wives and girlfriends, too. You tell them I think they are scumbags and I am not amused." She added "And one more thing. Tell them to shove their horse's heads up their asses!" All this happened BEFORE the novel "The Godfather" was released, so the horse's head reference seems rather suspect. At any rate she spoke of this with Sachie's pervy father Steve Parker and he said Sachi should come to Japan. She should go to school here, where she'll be safe." After "much soul searching", MacLaine packed her daughter off to Japan to save her from The Mob. Sachi later said in her book that if The Mob was intent on kidnapping her they surely would know where Japan was, so thinking she'd be "safe" from the Mob in Japan seemed rather ridiculous. Sachi seemed to believe that she was sent to Japan because Maclaine would have more freedom without her around. Her father, in the meantime, treated her like shit and when he wasn't ignoring her he was molesting her.

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2019 2:43 AM

" Judy didn't fuck Sinatra either."

Yes, she did. I heard that she said he liked blow jobs all the time and said in exasperation "you gotta fuck sometimes, too!"

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2019 2:47 AM

I wonder if she ever goes over to Lauren Hutton's for a cup of sugar?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2019 3:07 AM

Shirley put her New Mexico ranch on the market a few years ago for $18 million, but I don't know if it ever sold. She also bought a house in Santa Fe because she felt too isolated on the ranch and wanted to be able to go to the movies and nice restaurants.

She's filming 3 movies next year, which is amazing for her age. Most actresses in their 20s would kill for her career.

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2019 3:12 AM

Like R1, I too am shocked and appalled that her career is over and she looks ghastly at the sprightly age of merely 85.

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2019 3:16 AM

Doris Mann would never wear look like that at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2019 3:23 AM

Here Shirley sings wanly to Sammy Davis Jr. It's a great special if you can find it. Everybody was there. MJ, Whitney, Patti Labelle, Dean, Frank, Eddie Murphy, Cosby, Gregory Hines, Ella, Liza, Stevie. I was only 12 years old, but it stays in my mind. My parents loved Sammy. I waited for Michael Jackson and Whitney of course. But I don't know if there's ever been a more spectacular single tribute special. They sure didn't do it right for Whitney or Aretha. Because the level of talent is not the same and the old timers were ultimately somehow more sincere. Sammy was too much for anyone. THE triple threat. Anyway the part with Shirley begins at 7:20. She doesn't do it like a fake stranger. She loves him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2019 3:47 AM

R62 Shirley is not an atheist. She's a New Age person and believes in God in her own way.

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2019 3:53 AM

I think the most outlandish, unintentionally humorous thing that Shirley ever said in one of her books was that when Hitler died his soul was put in a warehouse in the next world. Is it a warehouse that all the bad souls go to?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2019 3:59 AM

[quote] I don't remember her in "A Delicate Balance", which is probably a blessing.

That's because she wasn't in it. It was Katharine Hepburn, Kate Reid, Lee Remick and Betsy Blair.

by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2019 4:50 AM

For a while, Shirl was delicately balanced atop Robert Mitchum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2019 5:14 AM

I loved the ABC miniseries "Out on a Limb" she did based on her book. It was directed by Colin Higgins, who directed 9 to 5. It was the last thing he directed before he died of AIDS.

I was fascinated by it as a young gayling. I remember my mother watching it with me and saying, "She's lost her mind! I think she's gone crazy!" But I believed every second of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2019 5:24 AM

Here's part 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2019 5:25 AM

The Sachi book is extraordinary (& earned Sachi a 483 post thread on the DL, a classic in fact). I agree with the person upthread who said more or less whatever Shirley did, Sachi should have found another way to work her stuff with her mother out.

I know someone (not famous) who also wrote one of those books about her mother and it became a bestseller. Great read. But dreadful, total assassination. The mother has since killed herself. Wonder how the daughter feels now.

by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2019 7:02 AM

"Wonder how the daughter feels now."

Wealthier?

by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2019 7:33 AM

That woman!

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2019 7:58 AM

[R78] The only reason she had a kid was to have someone to tear down. Does she not see all her own bad karma ? It’s not surprising that she’s still going strong. The bitter mean selfish ones always do.

by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2019 12:32 PM

Warren Beatty cruised us heavily in a restaurant in Bel Air one Saturday lunch hour 20 or so years ago.

We declined, since no money was offered.

by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2019 12:34 PM

R78, if the book was a bestseller and the person it was written about is a public figure and killed herself, why can't you just say who it was, for fuck's sake, instead of acting like you've got a state secret?

by Anonymousreply 83October 9, 2019 5:47 PM

"The only reason she had a kid was to have someone to tear down. "

I don't think that was the case. But I have no idea why she had a baby. Like many actresses she's totally self-absorbed and career driven. Not mother material at all. Her neglect of Sachi was profound. She packed her off to another country, for God's sake. But she did get lots of prime publicity from photo shoots where she would behave like a playful, attentive mom with her little red haired mini-me. Those photos of her with little Sachi where they're playing dress up and making identical funny faces are rather disturbing to me. They seem like those photos of Joan Crawford and Christina when she was a little girl, both of them posing and preening in matching "mother and daughter" frilly dresses. Mommy and Little Girl look so cute but in real life the situation was a very dark one. Both Sachi and Christian were used by their mothers in that way.

by Anonymousreply 84October 9, 2019 9:09 PM

Appropriation of Shirley MacLaine's talent would not have taken the entire Mob.....Norm Crosby could have done it - in his spare time.

by Anonymousreply 85October 9, 2019 10:14 PM

[quote][R78], if the book was a bestseller and the person it was written about is a public figure and killed herself, why can't you just say who it was, for fuck's sake, instead of acting like you've got a state secret?

As I said - she WASN'T famous.

by Anonymousreply 86October 9, 2019 10:21 PM

Renée Zellweger should follow up “Judy” with “Shitley”.

by Anonymousreply 87October 9, 2019 10:24 PM

[quote] As I said - she WASN'T famous.

And where the fuck did I say it?

She was written about in a bestselling non-fiction book, therefore she's a public figure, which is what I said.

You're probably making it up, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 88October 9, 2019 11:24 PM

Trust me, I worked with her. She's not so much a bitch as just cold. Glares a lot, much like Bacall used to.

by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2019 11:31 PM

[quote]She was written about in a bestselling non-fiction book, therefore she's a public figure, which is what I said.

Her daughter wrote a book about her mother ten years ago, which was on NY Times best seller list for a very brief window of time - this does not make the mother a "public figure".

The mother's suicide did NOT make the papers when it occurred about 8 years after the book was published - that's why I'm reluctant to post about it in detail on here. Though I have to admit, her other daughter did write about it on her Instagram account. So she did, in effect, make it public knowledge.

Anyway, you're the only person who'd shown any interest in the identity of the woman.

[quote]You're probably making it up, anyway.

eye-roll

by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2019 11:51 PM

I've lost interest. You're boring.

by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2019 11:57 PM

Give her credit, she put her money where her mouth was when it came to McGovern. She went all over the country stumping for him, organized benefits on his behalf. She wrote that she would have quit acting and worked for him had he been elected. Most celebrities give lip service, she did the ground work.

by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2019 11:58 PM

[quote]I've lost interest.

Good.

[quote] You're boring.

And you've lost the argument, so you post a lame insult. Don't be so nosy in future.

by Anonymousreply 93October 10, 2019 12:01 AM

Such an overrated actress and that scowling face is so fucking ugly.

by Anonymousreply 94October 10, 2019 12:03 AM

She was very good in a lot of films. Just because you don't like her, doesn't mean she was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 95October 10, 2019 12:05 AM

[quote] And you've lost the argument

Not really. You were wrong, but it wasn't important enough for me to keep pushing it, which is why I said I was bored.

However if you're going to act like an asshole, then I'm happy to rub your face in it. You were wrong. Anyone who has a book written about them that's a bestseller is a public figure. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 96October 10, 2019 12:09 AM

Sachi really was possessed by a demon and Shirley had her exercised. The Exorcist was based upon Shirley and Sachi.

Shirley would have been better in the film than Ellen Burstyn. Much, much better and she would have won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 97October 10, 2019 12:29 AM

Why didn't you just ask me to name the book? Instead, you posted a mini and totally unwarranted diatribe including the word "fuck" >

[quote][R78], if the book was a bestseller and the person it was written about is a public figure and killed herself, why can't you just say who it was, for fuck's sake, instead of acting like you've got a state secret?

Then you told me I was "making it up" and that I was "boring" and now "you're happy to rub my face in it".

Is this what you're like in real life when you want some information? You've got a lot to learn.

by Anonymousreply 98October 10, 2019 1:03 AM

[quote]Shirley would have been better in the film than Ellen Burstyn. Much, much better and she would have won the Oscar.

I agree. Or Vanessa Redgrave! (as long as she didn't have to do her awful American accent). Burstyn was miscast.

Or - this is magical thinking > Sachi!!! should have played the kid and Shitley, the mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 10, 2019 1:07 AM

[quote] Sachi really was possessed by a demon and Shirley had her exercised.

LOL! Was Sachi spewing pea soup and cracking men's necks?

by Anonymousreply 100October 10, 2019 1:14 AM

I would love to see a revealing documentary called "Sachi vs. Pazuzu: The True Story of The Excorist"

by Anonymousreply 101October 10, 2019 1:24 AM

What the latest on Sachi?

She more or less disappeared after she wrote the book and did the publicity.

by Anonymousreply 102October 10, 2019 1:26 AM

re Sachi

go to 19:30 below @ link.

"None of it was TRUE!" - love her body language when she says that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 10, 2019 1:29 AM

r103 No remorse on her part about Sachi, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 104October 10, 2019 2:39 AM

R97 The author of The Exorcist wrote the mother character with Shirley in mind and the part was offered to her - but she turned it down because her agent told her that the movie was not going to be a hit. I wonder what happened to that agent...……?

by Anonymousreply 105October 10, 2019 2:43 AM

R103...It's just silly, saying her daughter wrote a whole book of lies. Larry should have pursued his questioning.

She was wicked to her daughter and there she is on TV lying about it

by Anonymousreply 106October 10, 2019 2:44 AM

Shirley is a Taurus. Like Cher and Streisand. They're too narcissistic to be mothers and not very nurturing individuals. No Taurus should be allowed to be mothers, unless they are male.

by Anonymousreply 107October 10, 2019 2:45 AM

How can a mother be male?

by Anonymousreply 108October 10, 2019 2:46 AM

She's such a liar. What a horrible old bag.

by Anonymousreply 109October 10, 2019 2:56 AM

I agree, R33, I’ve never really cared for her either but I am a snobby Brit.

She and Jack Lemmon marked the time when the great Billy Wilder stopped making important films and started making ordinary films about American schmucks.

It's sad that Wilder could pick MacLaine to play the prostitute 'Irma La Douce' in place of Marilyn Monroe who was indisposed.

by Anonymousreply 110October 10, 2019 2:57 AM

She wrote that Doris Day was odd-looking with a big head.

by Anonymousreply 111October 10, 2019 3:00 AM

I liked watching Burstyn go haywire in The Exorcist. It was a good performance.

by Anonymousreply 112October 10, 2019 3:00 AM

Faye Dunaway should have been the mother. Brought some glamor to the proceedings.

PLUS she knows how to do spooky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 10, 2019 3:27 AM

[quote]I liked watching Burstyn go haywire in The Exorcist

Gays love a crazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 114October 10, 2019 3:28 AM

Miss Dunaway recently played Katharine Hepburn channeling Pazuzu, and it was anything but glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 115October 10, 2019 3:32 AM

Yes, but this was 45 years ago. Faye personified 70s glamor.

AND knew how to look spooky 👻

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 10, 2019 3:35 AM

Spooky glamour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 10, 2019 3:39 AM

My Shirley MacLaine story: I was at the theatre in LA seeing Ragtime (pre-Broadway). During the intermission I was minding my own business when, out of the blue, I was knocked over by a running woman. It was Shirley MacLaine, fleeing from an autograph hound in the ladies room. She came back and helped me up, apologizing profusely, and then dragged me by the arm to a quiet corner behind a staircase, while telling me about the crazy fan who wouldn't let her pee in peace.

She then asked me what I thought of the show. I said it was brilliant and she hugged me like a lost child, saying the people she had come with were idiots and philistines who didn't get the show at all. We chatted and congratulated each other on our exceptional taste and sophistication for the rest of the intermission, then she let go of my arm and we went our separate ways. Two ships in the night...

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2019 3:47 AM

That's your fantasy, R118? Dear God.

by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2019 3:49 AM

This was all an illusion?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2019 3:51 AM

I liked her in "The Apartment."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2019 4:11 AM

Burstyn was not believable as a glamorous Hollywood actress. She wasn't pretty enough and she was dull.

Shirley would have washed Ellen in that role. It's not that different a role than the one she played in Terms of Endearment, except that Pazuzu would have been slightly easier to work with than Debra Winger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]Burstyn was not believable as a glamorous Hollywood actress. She wasn't pretty enough and she was dull.

I thought this too. She was pretty, but had no style.

by Anonymousreply 123October 10, 2019 4:23 AM

It's interesting to hear Shirley talk about Meryl Streep in the Larry King interview. She says that Meryl is an amazing actress because she gives up her identity. Shirley says she never gives up her identity when she acts. None of the iconic actresses give up their identity on the screen. Davis, Crawford, Hepburn, Streisand, etc., always play a version of themselves. And frankly, that's what audiences want to see from them.

by Anonymousreply 124October 10, 2019 4:27 AM

I actually think Shirley has more range than even she believes. I bought her as her naive characters in The Apartment and Sweet Charity and the hard, tough as nails characters she played later in Terms of Endearment, Postcards From the Edge, and Steel Magnolias. That's talent to me.

by Anonymousreply 125October 10, 2019 4:53 AM

Faye Dunaway was AMAZING. Her beyond EPIC performances in Bonnie and Clyde, The Thomas Crown Affair, Chinatown (!!!!), Three Days of the Condor and of course her Oscar Award winning role in Network.......well she OWNED the late 1960's through the entire 1970's. She was one of the most gorgeous and talented women the silver screen and was really the THE female star during that period. How most do not give her the acclaim that she deserves - that I will never understand.

by Anonymousreply 126October 10, 2019 5:28 AM

The 1970s was the era of the pretty(ish) leading lady with no style.

by Anonymousreply 127October 10, 2019 5:35 AM

[quote]The author of The Exorcist wrote the mother character with Shirley in mind and the part was offered to her - but she turned it down because her agent told her that the movie was not going to be a hit. I wonder what happened to that agent...……?

No she turned it down because she had made a possession movie the year before called "The Possession of Joel Delaney" released in May of '72 while "The Exorcist was in production. That would have been tow possession movies in a row.

[quote]Burstyn was miscast.

Yeah an actress/mother playing an actress/mother, what a stretch. Read the book and saw the movie and don't remember Chris MacNeil being described as glamorous, just a movie star and the shot at the beginning where she is filming at the campus was hardly a glamorous role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 10, 2019 9:15 AM

[quote]and the hard, tough as nails characters she played later in Terms of Endearment

Aurora was NOT tough as nails. She was "difficult".

It was an excellent performance and as she said re The Oscar "I deserve this".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 10, 2019 10:25 AM

"Terms of Endearment" is the best soap opera film evah.

What an every weekday soap plot would take years to unfold was brilliantly condensed into 2 hours. It's like a shot of pure cinematic junk-food that hits every neuron.

I LOVE ToE, and every single actor in the cast is superb, all anchored by MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 130October 10, 2019 11:02 AM

She's so vain.....

by Anonymousreply 131October 10, 2019 11:23 AM

R130, As good as Shirley is in the film, she's matched throughout by Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 132October 10, 2019 11:24 AM

R106, Do you believe she actually read the book?

by Anonymousreply 133October 10, 2019 11:25 AM

[quote] LOVE ToE, and every single actor in the cast is superb

Um...NO!

>>>

CLUE: on the left

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 10, 2019 11:38 AM

[quote][R106], Do you believe she actually read the book?

I don't know. Maybe her "friends" read her excerpts over the phone.

by Anonymousreply 135October 10, 2019 11:40 AM

We had our revenge!

by Anonymousreply 136October 10, 2019 11:48 AM

Shirley was dumb to say EVERYTHING was lies. She could've said this or that was exaggerated or taken out of context, but no. She wants people to believe that her daughter literally write a book full of nothing but lies...including stuff that's easily verifiable, like Shirl sending her toddler halfway across the world to spend her formative years.

Sure.

by Anonymousreply 137October 10, 2019 1:00 PM

R137, Do you think Larry warned her that he'd be mentioning the book?

by Anonymousreply 138October 10, 2019 2:01 PM

The way she acts like the kicker is that it's all lies...

by Anonymousreply 139October 10, 2019 2:03 PM

R138 Larry doesn't do ANYthing prior to an interview, so no.

"Do you have any other kids?"

by Anonymousreply 140October 10, 2019 2:16 PM

Awhile back there was a thread about Sachi's book and Shitley on DL that was deleted while we were posting on it. She must be controlling her image pretty tightly. When she said Holocaust victims were paying for their sins in past lives I was pretty much done with her.

Debra Winger on Shitley in an interview with Barbara Walters...

[quote]So I told her, "Let me get this straight... you live the life, then you write a book about it, and then you star as yourself in the TV adaptation of the book. Why not just strap a video camera to your shoulder all the time so you can skip the intermediate steps?"

by Anonymousreply 141October 10, 2019 2:20 PM

I liked Patsy #1, r134. I wonder what became of the actress.

Patsy #2 (Miranda Richardson in The Evening Star) was way over the top with an atrocious Texas accent.

by Anonymousreply 142October 10, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote] [R130], As good as Shirley is in the film, she's matched throughout by Debra Winger.

Two cunts crying and cunting around for two hours. Shitley + Debra CUNT Winger. Jesus, that set must have been a nightmare!

by Anonymousreply 143October 10, 2019 2:28 PM

Sachi's book is a page turner. When she was in her twenties, she learned that Shitley believed Sachi's father, Steve Parker, was not her real father but a clone of the real one, an astronaut named Paul. For years Steve had conned MacLaine into paying him up to $60,000 a month for “Paul’s space travel expenses.” Sachi had to break it to her mother that she'd married a con man, which didn't go over well.

You can't make this shit up.

by Anonymousreply 144October 10, 2019 2:52 PM

From the book...

On her mom’s belief in aliens:

“When we got back to the house, Mom pointed to the balcony. ‘See up there? That’s where I met them.’

‘Met who?”

‘The extraterrestrials. They landed over here on the sand, and then they came up on the porch, and we talked.’”

On her mom’s belief that her father had been cloned and was sometimes there and sometimes “Paul”:

“‘Paul is my real father? How come I’ve never heard of him? Where is he?’

‘Right now, he’s in outer space.’ Mom said this with disarming matter-of-factnes and a quiet sense of pride.

‘He’s in outer space?’

Mom made an equivocating gesture. ‘He’s on a mission for the government.’

‘A mission? What kind of mission?’

She gave me a patient smile. ‘A secret mission, sweetheart. All I know is, he’s in the Pleiades.’”

On her mom’s insistence that the government was a very real Big Brother:

“Mom fixed me with a benev0lently patronizing look. ‘Sachi, you’re very young, and you’re very naïve… The government does all kinds of crazy things. Do you realize they have surveillance satellites up there in space that can listen in on any conversation we have earth?’”

On discovering she had a different blood type than both her parents:

“…how could I be A positive? It wasn’t scientifically possible. I knew damn well Mom was my real mother — there was no escaping that — but was Dad my real father?….I do look like Dad…but I think I also bear a resemblance to, say, Yves Montand (or, for that matter, Alfred Hitchcock).”

So basically, Sachi isn't even Steve Parker's daughter and Shitley conned HIM into babysitting her all those years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 10, 2019 3:03 PM

In my books, if you’re still here at near 90 and living independently, free, and contently, you must have done something good. So Shirley , go for it, bashers be damned.

by Anonymousreply 146October 10, 2019 3:06 PM

Love her

by Anonymousreply 147October 10, 2019 3:10 PM

Shirl having some fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 10, 2019 3:12 PM

[quote] In my books, if you’re still here at near 90 and living independently, free, and contently, you must have done something good.

Apparently, she's not content that her dogs prefer the dog sitter @ OPs link.

This is what happens when you neglect your kids.

by Anonymousreply 149October 10, 2019 3:30 PM

How big an asshole do you have to be if your own dogs abandon you? Animals are great judges of character.

by Anonymousreply 150October 10, 2019 4:21 PM

Shirley's the Queen of the Gypsies.....gyp gyp gyp gyp gyp gyp gypsies.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 10, 2019 4:30 PM

She's a very "special" lady.

by Anonymousreply 152October 10, 2019 4:31 PM

R142 Kate Charleson was the original Janice She passed away in 1996 at the age of 43. Her younger sister, Leslie, has been playing Dr. Monica Quartermain on "General Hospital" since 1977.

by Anonymousreply 153October 10, 2019 4:32 PM

Poster of r153 here. I confused Patsy and Janice who was a friend of Emma's (Debra Winger) in New York. Lisa Hart Carroll played Patsy, not Kate Charleson.

by Anonymousreply 154October 10, 2019 4:35 PM

Sounds like too many Wild Turkeys down your throat, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 155October 10, 2019 5:54 PM

I can't remember what was the final straw that broke the camel's back re Shit and Sachi...that ultimately led to the book. Can YOU?

by Anonymousreply 156October 10, 2019 5:59 PM

Maybe Shirl disinherited Satch?

by Anonymousreply 157October 10, 2019 6:01 PM

There wasn't a final straw. Sachi said she hadn't written about her childhood because she knew if she did her mother would stop speaking to her. But then she realized Shirley already wasn't speaking to her. So she had nothing left to lose.

by Anonymousreply 158October 10, 2019 6:45 PM

R155 No turkey, but definitely bull sized!

by Anonymousreply 159October 10, 2019 7:21 PM

"It's sad that Wilder could pick MacLaine to play the prostitute 'Irma La Douce' in place of Marilyn Monroe who was indisposed."

After the experience with working with Monroe while filming "Some Like It Hot" Billy Wilder said in an interview that his psychiatrist said he was "too old and too rich" to ever go through something like that again. But directors will apparently be willing to do anything for a hit movie, because after the success of "Some Like It Hot" he was actually considering using Marilyn Monroe in "Irma La Douce." I guess it seemed like Monroe was the perfect choice for it; the character was the proverbial hooker with a heart of gold, an expert at pleasing men sexually. But she got mad at Wilder for something he'd said about what working with her was like, and the talks with Wilder were off. She died of an overdose not long after. At any rate, Wilder got his film made starring Shirley MacLaine, and should have been grateful. If the movie had starred Monroe it probably would never have been completed.

by Anonymousreply 160October 10, 2019 8:53 PM

"Maybe Shirl disinherited Satch?"

Shitley never 'inherited" her daughter in the first place. That was one of the major things about Sachi's memoir; how her mother and father did not believe in "supporting" their child and giving her money. "Make it on your own wit out any help! You'll feel better about yourself that way!" That was what shitty Shirley tried to instill in her daughter. Sachi held a variety of jobs and tried to be an actress in order to make her own way. But according to her, Mommy Dearest even tried to stymie her acting to career by using her connections to make sure Sachi didn't get major roles. I can certainly believe that. I really don't think Shirley MacLaine wanted a successful actress as a daughter.

by Anonymousreply 161October 10, 2019 9:00 PM

Artistic geniuses like Shirley should never be burdened with children, especially precocious little liars like Sachi.

The fact that Shirley even acknowledged her and gave her bread and water is more than enough.

by Anonymousreply 162October 10, 2019 9:08 PM

[quote]how her mother and father did not believe in "supporting" their child and giving her money.

The father allowed Shit' to support HIM.

by Anonymousreply 163October 10, 2019 9:10 PM

What was the story around Sachi's wedding? Mom had agreed to pay - but had delayed it and then arrived at the wedding late, waving the check around.

There are probably others here who remember those details better. I hate to misquote.

by Anonymousreply 164October 10, 2019 9:13 PM

[quote]In my books, if you’re still here at near 90 and living independently, free, and contently, you must have done something good.

Not really. The good die young.

by Anonymousreply 165October 10, 2019 9:17 PM

I thought Wilder wanted Monroe for The Apartment?

by Anonymousreply 166October 10, 2019 9:18 PM

"I thought Wilder wanted Monroe for The Apartment?"

No,Monroe wanted Monroe for "The Apartment." She said she would have loved to have played Fran Kubelik. But she would have been totally wrong for the part. She was too much of a sex symbol to portray some poor office girl getting played by her executive older lover. Audiences would never have believed someone as glaringly sexy and gorgeous as Monroe would be strung along like Fran was; someone who looked like Monroe would have had her lover wrapped around her finger, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 167October 10, 2019 9:38 PM

Not to mention that Monroe was 8 years older than MacLaine. MacLaine is wonderful in The Apartment. Shut up and deal.

by Anonymousreply 168October 10, 2019 10:20 PM

R122: You could say the same things about Maclaine. She was never really glamorous. Winsome or kooky, but not glamorous. She was fine in The Apartment, but annoying in Irma La Douce. She was tiresome in "Endearment" which is an awful cliche-ridden mess. Winger is better but gets stuck with that death from cancer ending.

by Anonymousreply 169October 10, 2019 11:01 PM

Shirley did take over Marilyn's role in What a Way to Go, which was planned as Marilyn's next picture after the ill-fated Something's Got To Give. Shirley wore the far-out, sexy costumes that had been designed with Monroe in mind. The movie would've been better with Monroe because Shirley didn't have enough sex appeal to pull it off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 10, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]She was tiresome in "Endearment" which is an awful cliche-ridden mess.

I didn't think so at all. Could easily have been, but wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 171October 10, 2019 11:12 PM

R160 Yes, you are right.

I'm no fan of Monroe but she might have made slightly more interesting Irma than skinny, sad-sack MacLaine in the role.

And, R160, you're also making me rethink my demarcation of Billy Wilder's 1950s 'important' films from his 1960s American schmuck films.

Marilyn Monroe played the decorative subsidiary character in 'The Seven Year' in 1955, 'Some Like It Hot' in 1959 and (if things went as planned) 'Irma la Douce' in 1963. Her role was the subsidiary, sex-object for the schmucks played by Jack Lemmon and Tom Ewell.

by Anonymousreply 172October 10, 2019 11:15 PM

R170 So MacLaine replaced Monroe twice.

She's sounding like Greer Garson in 1942. She got all those roles which MGM meant for Greta Garbo and Norma Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 173October 10, 2019 11:20 PM

What's odd about Sachi is how sweet and genuine she is. Her experience could have turned her into an angry bitter cunt. I think that's why DL got behind her in such a big way in this feud.

by Anonymousreply 174October 10, 2019 11:24 PM

(cont.) And her book was never bitter or angry - she just told the story of what happened to her.

Though I guess, to write such a book, you have to be somewhat bitter and angry. It WAS her revenge.

by Anonymousreply 175October 10, 2019 11:26 PM

Oh, leave her be. She was a pass-around Polly for the Rat Pack, hadn't she been through enough?

by Anonymousreply 176October 10, 2019 11:28 PM

Janice was a cunt. “Validate my feelings?” Such a dunking cunt!

by Anonymousreply 177October 10, 2019 11:50 PM

Love her. She's so entertaining. Terms, Sweet Charity, Steel- a great old broad.

Her daughter's book bothered me, but what are ya gonna do? Actresses shouldn't be mothers.

by Anonymousreply 178October 10, 2019 11:55 PM

Does Shirls' ol pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 179October 11, 2019 1:32 AM

Shirley was first choice to play Molly Brown, Debbie got it by default.

by Anonymousreply 180October 11, 2019 2:00 AM

R164 On the day of Sachi's wedding she stated in her book that she spoke to Shirley and wished that she could have been more supportive of her. Shirley got the hint but then went overboard - she told all the wedding guests that she was picking up the entire $20,000 bill for the wedding. She was like a foghorn and Sachi was a bit mortified.

by Anonymousreply 181October 11, 2019 2:01 AM

"It's hard to feel much warmth for her," said Don Siegel, who directed her in "Two Mules for Sister Sara." " She's too unfeminine and has too much balls. She's very, very hard." Anthony Hopkins, who worked beside her in "A Change of Seasons", called her "the most obnoxious actress I have ever worked with".

by Anonymousreply 182October 11, 2019 2:10 AM

I wonder why Shitley didn't try to do the movie of Mame. She would have been the right age and God knows, just about as wrong for the role as Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 183October 11, 2019 2:16 AM

And judging by OPs picture she's also free to draw her eyebrows wherever she wants on her forehead and free to put her Yorkie on her head instead of her regular wig.

by Anonymousreply 184October 11, 2019 2:18 AM

I heard she's in negotiations to steal Gypsy from Babs.

by Anonymousreply 185October 11, 2019 2:19 AM

In interviews she strikes me as someone who is totally without a sense of humor. Warren Beatty is kind of like that, too. Both have that strange quality.

by Anonymousreply 186October 11, 2019 2:20 AM

[quote]If you're still here at near 90

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 11, 2019 2:23 AM

She said when her baby was born she looked down and saw the placenta and was amazed at what a long penis the baby had!

by Anonymousreply 188October 11, 2019 2:26 AM

Gowns by Edie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 11, 2019 2:33 AM

William Peter Blatty asked about "The Exorcist" and kooky Shirl:

Is there any connection with the story you wrote to a situation that may have occurred with Shirley MacLaine's daughter, Sachiko?

BLATTY: No. But Shirley was my first choice for the part because I had modeled the character of the mother (Chris MacNeil) on her. Not on Jane Fonda. On Shirley. Shirley was the first to read it. It didn't happen. And the next thing I knew, Jason Miller was telling me that he'd run into Shirley, who to this day I love, and she told him that the cover illustration on the book jacket was her daughter Sachiko . And the next time I saw Shirley, I said, "Shirley, how would I get the picture of Sachiko put on the cover?" She said, "Well, you broke into the house and you took it." I said, "Well, I didn't do that. Someone at Harper & Row created that image. How? I have no idea. It was not Sachiko."

by Anonymousreply 190October 11, 2019 2:59 AM

If the image on the dust jacket of "The Exorcist" was NOT a photo of Sachi Parker, then it is indeed an odd coincidence that it so resembled a distorted image of her. You look at it, and if you'd seen photos of Sachi Parker you WOULD think that it's her. Did Harper & Row, knowing that the character of Chris MacNeil was modeled on Shirley MacLaine, somehow get a hold of a photo of Sachi Parker (I imagine it would not have been hard to do) and doctor it to make it look devilish? I wonder if that is what happened.

by Anonymousreply 191October 11, 2019 3:07 AM

Blatty is trying backtrack on Shirley and Sachi because he doesn't want to admit that he stole the story from her life instead of creating it himself.

by Anonymousreply 192October 11, 2019 3:56 AM

I worked w Shirley in Postcards, r187!

by Anonymousreply 193October 11, 2019 4:36 AM

Were you the gay pianist???

by Anonymousreply 194October 11, 2019 4:40 AM

Did M bring little Mamie to the set?

by Anonymousreply 195October 11, 2019 4:43 AM

It twirled.

by Anonymousreply 196October 11, 2019 4:54 AM

No, I initiate the number. ("Doris, sing something!")

by Anonymousreply 197October 11, 2019 6:12 AM

Wait, what? Sachi Parker is reprising her mother's role in a play with Richard Pryor about an interracial couple who were supposedly abducted by aliens?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 11, 2019 8:51 AM

GREAT FIND, R198.

If I lived in NYC I'd go.

by Anonymousreply 199October 11, 2019 8:54 AM

Couldn't Stacey have found a job at Starbucks or returning messages for a real estate agent? Why would such a homely woman want to be an actress? She must be over 60 and she hasn't any credit to her name. Stachki should stop trying to capitalize off her mom. That might improve their afterlife. Go Shirley. I'm not convinced Sketchi is even your kid. Who wants a senior citizen as a dependent?

by Anonymousreply 200October 11, 2019 9:00 AM

R199 We have until October 17 to get there. haha

[quote]She must be over 60 and she hasn't any credit to her name.

R200 Not quite. But this obsession with the paranormal does seem to run in the family. Satchi's appeared in three time travel films: Back to the Future (1985), Peggy Sue Got Married (1986) and Scrooged (1988).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 11, 2019 9:05 AM

She looks like her mother. I never understood the Paul the Astronaut story. $60k a month for space travel? So weird.

I don't see anything wrong with a child living with one parent or the other if the parents don't live together. Happens all the time. Except this time it was with a con-man who probably wasn't her father. In normal separated/divorced couples, the kids often live with one parent a lot more than the other.

by Anonymousreply 202October 11, 2019 9:12 AM

By the way, when Sachi told her mother that Steve was a con man Shitley hired a private investigator check him out and promptly divorced him. Otherwise, she'd probably still be paying "clone" Steve $60k per month to support astronaut "Paul" on a secret government project in the Pleiades, 425 light years away. smh Sachi did her mom a favor and saved her $.

by Anonymousreply 203October 11, 2019 9:20 AM

[quote]Why would such a homely woman want to be an actress?

I dunno, honey, but it happens!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 11, 2019 9:32 AM

She was a dancer. Not a beauty but a smoking hot body and she was a good hoofer back when movies used a lot of dancers.

I always thought she was talented. Never bothered with her books that people made such a fuss about.

by Anonymousreply 205October 11, 2019 9:38 AM

[quote]he told him that the cover illustration on the book jacket was her daughter Sachiko

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 11, 2019 9:52 AM

What's your name again, honey?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 11, 2019 9:58 AM

R203 Doubtful, since Steve turned up his toes in 2001.

by Anonymousreply 208October 11, 2019 10:10 AM

R205 Yes, she was once a starving dancer in NYC and I remember the story in her first book "Don't Fall Off the Mountain" about eating cheaply at the "automat" before her big break with Hitch. Funny, I just found this excerpt from a later book:

[quote]I had just come out of the chorus for Pajama Game on Broadway and was thin and broke. My diet as a chorus girl was Horn & Hardart's Automat food. I could live on ten cents a meal. There were lemons and sugar at the tables and water at the fountain. I'd make lemonade. Peanut butter and raisin bread sandwiches were ten cents in the food windows. So I had my peanut butter-raisin bread sandwich and lemonade for two nickels.

I liked her the earlier books about her life on Broadway and in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 209October 11, 2019 10:10 AM

I hate to be one of those people who tells people off for not following the DL way of thinking and doing things and I LOATH "we" trolls, but >

[bold]WE do not knock and criticise Sachi on The DL.[/bold] In fact there are a couple of recent posts, which I will not quote, that have made me feel very uncomfortable indeed.

by Anonymousreply 210October 11, 2019 10:11 AM

R208 Literally, no she wouldn't still be paying him, but she divorced him in 1982 so there would have been plenty of time between then and his death in 2001 that she could have been paying him if Sachi hadn't blown the whistle on that swindler.

by Anonymousreply 211October 11, 2019 10:21 AM

We criticize everyone on the DL, dear.

by Anonymousreply 212October 11, 2019 10:22 AM

Not Jan Hooks.

by Anonymousreply 213October 11, 2019 10:24 AM

[quote]We criticize everyone on the DL, dear.

Ever heard the expression DL Fave?

You're looking at one... ⬇️⬇️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214October 11, 2019 10:42 AM

I've heard all of the DL expressions, dear, and she's no Dina Merrill or Liz Montgomery.

by Anonymousreply 215October 11, 2019 10:44 AM

The DL was so supportive of Sachi on the classic Sachi thread it almost brought tears to my eyes.💦

There were a few knockers (probably you)...but by and large the support was unanimous.

by Anonymousreply 216October 11, 2019 10:50 AM

Sorry about the little emojis - I only just discovered them. They're so cute.👨‍❤️‍👨< but they're a bit small. (That one depicts two men in love).

by Anonymousreply 217October 11, 2019 10:52 AM

R197 - please tell us about your time on the set. Both M and Shirl were so great in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 218October 11, 2019 11:38 AM

Why did they name her Stephanie Sachiko and call her Sachi? Pretty weird, especially for the '50s.

by Anonymousreply 219October 11, 2019 11:49 AM

Maybe Sachi worked well for her in Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 11, 2019 12:02 PM

What Exorcist book cover had a girl on it who looked like Sachi? The only one I can find with a girl on it has a picture of Regan who doesn't look much like Sachi.

by Anonymousreply 221October 11, 2019 12:10 PM

Oh sorry I just saw R206, but honestly that doesn't look like Sachi at all. Shirley really thought someone broke into her house and stole a photo to make that?

by Anonymousreply 222October 11, 2019 12:13 PM

R222 Not really a stretch for the woman who for years sent $60,000 per month to her "real" husband working in the Pleiades...

by Anonymousreply 223October 11, 2019 1:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224October 11, 2019 4:34 PM

R223 ...and had a friendly chat with some ETs...

[quote] “When we got back to the house, Mom pointed to the balcony. ‘See up there? That’s where I met them.’

[quote] ‘Met who?”

[quote] ‘The extraterrestrials. They landed over here on the sand, and then they came up on the porch, and we talked.’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 11, 2019 8:57 PM

The great Shirley Maclaine was too fabulous. So talented and alive and sexy. What has little Scootchie ever accomplished?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226October 11, 2019 9:21 PM

Her her book "My Lucky Stars" Shirley claimed to have found out for certain from "a channeler" that her husband was a con artist. More gooney New Age blather.

In her first book "Don't Fall Off The Mountain" I liked her story of a supposedly real life Irma La Douce. She went with the young son of some friends (he was her interpreter) to Les Halles in order to "research" the life of a hooker, so she could play Irma La Douce authentically. They find a tall girl with black hair, "reasonably pretty" with a good figure and a no nonsense attitude about her "Job." The girl is seemingly 'the best hooker on the block." The hooker, named Danielle, allows herself to be observed and insists that MacLaine watch her do her "work" in order to teach her how to play Irma properly. So MacLaine watches through a peephole while Danielle (and a few other hookers) are hard at "work" on a client. She doesn't describe what she sees in any detail, only that the "activity was frantic. It looked like something Jerome Robbins would have staged." Later she tried to question in depth the happy hooker but can't get much more out of her besides "I like my job and it pays well." Of course she has a "mec" or pimp, but he's her one true lover and takes care of her. MacLaine kept probing her with questions until finally Danielle has some kind of panic attack and "bolts from the room.' A madam at the hotel where Danielle brings her tricks explained that Danielle was a heroin addict. Hating her "job" she asked to be released from her mec, but instead he supplied her with heroin, "something that numbed her body and her mind, something that put her beyond caring what happened to her thirty-five times a night." MacLaine goes on:

"Once a prostitute becomes a drug addict the circle is tightly drawn. The money must come from somewhere. The young ones and the old, the pretty and the ugly stand in line, night after night, in pouring rain, in bitter cold, in snow, always wearing the dresses with the long, fast zippers, swaying up a hundred flights of stairs a night, offering their numbed bodies and their deadened souls for their reward: a heroin fix."

Sound pretty awful. At any rate, MacLaine's experience with real life hookers (if true) is sharply different from what is portrayed in "Irma La Douce." In that movie, prostitution is depicted as...well, kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 227October 11, 2019 9:23 PM

The "channeler" was of course Sachi but Shitley could never give her daughter credit.

by Anonymousreply 228October 12, 2019 12:50 AM

Shitley and Satchmo-

WHAT A PAIR OF CUNTS!!!!

They need to do an autobiographical Broadway play called Shitley and Satchmo.

Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 229October 12, 2019 12:57 AM

Before the hilarity ended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230October 12, 2019 1:17 AM

She not bragging- she’s just telling about her state of mind. If someone says the myvare content with their life, is that bragging?

by Anonymousreply 231October 12, 2019 1:47 AM

The OP resents Shirl having a relaxed, comfortable retirement.

I wonder what kind of issues OP has/had with her own mother

by Anonymousreply 232October 12, 2019 3:39 AM

"The OP resents Shirl having a relaxed, comfortable retirement."

In that photo at R9 she doesn't look very "comfortable" or "relaxed." Her scowl suggests a very miserable, unhappy person.

by Anonymousreply 233October 12, 2019 4:00 AM

Yes, R232, I agree with you that this thread's headline displays the OP's fecal frame of mind.

Whereas I have no interest in this woman or her feces.

by Anonymousreply 234October 12, 2019 4:00 AM

Don't we all eat what we want and sleep when we want?

Did it take her all this time to achieve that?

by Anonymousreply 235October 12, 2019 4:01 AM

R235 Yes. She's been too busy studying UFO's and past lives.

by Anonymousreply 236October 12, 2019 4:07 AM

R236 The Mother Ship beaming up Shirley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237October 12, 2019 4:09 AM

It SHIRLLLED up!!!

by Anonymousreply 238October 12, 2019 6:36 AM

I can’t believe all these queens who mistook a Toyota Carolla for a Prius!

by Anonymousreply 239October 12, 2019 7:08 AM

Did she and Warren ever.....you know....?

by Anonymousreply 240October 12, 2019 8:01 AM

I'm looking at the OP's pic and Shirl doesn't look miserable to me, from what she said about her life now she sure doesn't sound miserable either.

Do you hate her success in films for so many decades and her well-funded retirement now? Is it because you wanted those things and know you will never achieve them? Hmm.. sucks to be you, green eyed monster.

If you failed at life, you failed. It's not Shirl's fault.

by Anonymousreply 241October 12, 2019 7:33 PM

R185, funny you should mention that, because I remember hearing that Shirl did a bang up "Rose's Turn" once during one of her concerts. Knowing her vocal limitations, I'm sure it wasn't beautifully sung, but I could see her acting the hell out of Rose back in the day. She's more that type than Streisand ever was.

by Anonymousreply 242October 12, 2019 8:56 PM

Shirl finally found this thread, at R241.

Have some crème brûlée and STFU, Hon.

by Anonymousreply 243October 13, 2019 12:58 AM

Mother made Mama Rose look like June Cleaver.

Mother made Pazuzu look like Tinky-Winky.

by Anonymousreply 244October 13, 2019 1:15 AM

[quote] If you failed at life, you failed. It's not Shirl's fault.

In some cases, it is.

by Anonymousreply 245October 13, 2019 1:57 AM

Scratchi would have failed regardless. She's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 246October 13, 2019 1:59 AM

R246=Miss S. Beaty, Santa Fe

by Anonymousreply 247October 13, 2019 2:02 AM

I read [italic] Dancing in the Light [/italic], and [italic] Out on a Limb [/italic] back when they came out, and believed a bit, but still thought Shirley was a nutcup. I'm definitely reading the Satchi thread next!

by Anonymousreply 248October 13, 2019 2:46 AM

The Scootie thread is just a bunch of old gays with mommy issues, whining.

by Anonymousreply 249October 13, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote]Scratchi would have failed regardless. She's pathetic.

Her father used to take her to a cocktail bar in Tokyo where the waiters stirred the cocktails with their penises.

She's turned out surprisingly normal.

by Anonymousreply 250October 13, 2019 4:06 AM

R248, you type OLD

by Anonymousreply 251October 13, 2019 4:08 AM

[quote]Shirl finally found this thread, at [R241].

I am NOT Shirley Maclaine!

by Anonymousreply 252October 13, 2019 4:14 AM

[quote][R248], you type OLD

R251, You type retarded.

by Anonymousreply 253October 13, 2019 4:15 AM

r194 Yes. Really gay, all the more so for that scene...

by Anonymousreply 254October 13, 2019 4:18 AM

R253 is an excerpt from Schotzi's book! She's a scintillating writer.

by Anonymousreply 255October 13, 2019 4:21 AM

[quote]Her father used to take her to a cocktail bar in Tokyo where the waiters stirred the cocktails with their penises.

So all the drinks were served in shot glasses?

by Anonymousreply 256October 13, 2019 10:37 AM

[quote][R253] is an excerpt from Schotzi's book! She's a scintillating writer.

DL seemed to think so.

[bold]>>>[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257October 13, 2019 11:24 AM

I see Shitley used her Ouija board and found this thread.

by Anonymousreply 258October 13, 2019 3:19 PM

Scanki should start a gofundme for DL contributions. Can't the girl waitress?

by Anonymousreply 259October 13, 2019 6:29 PM

Sachi was a flight attendant for Qantas, I think. She was bilingual English/Japanese. To get the job she had to take a test in which she scored the highest they'd ever seen on empathy. She really does look like Yves Montand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260October 13, 2019 8:48 PM

Shitley and Yves Montand...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261October 13, 2019 8:50 PM

OP, you spelled her name wrong. I hope it wasn't intentional.

by Anonymousreply 262October 13, 2019 8:54 PM

[quote]Sachi was a flight attendant for Qantas, I think.

That's right. Didn't she says she was schlepping food on the plane and Shitley was up on the movie screen?

by Anonymousreply 263October 13, 2019 9:06 PM

So this deep, personal hatred of Shirley Maclaine, it's in "defense" of her now adult daughter being sent to live with her father as a child?

by Anonymousreply 264October 13, 2019 9:11 PM

Another tidbit from Sachi's book. She and Shirley did a commercial, together, mother and daughter shilling diet Pepsi. Sachi was paid union scale. Shirley was paid a million.

by Anonymousreply 265October 13, 2019 9:51 PM

But isn't Shirley the movie star and her daughter is just her daughter? It stands to reason that the movie star would get paid a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 266October 13, 2019 9:53 PM

Not THAT much more.

Show Sachi some respect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267October 13, 2019 9:54 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 268October 13, 2019 9:57 PM

I love the way the commercial's all about a very wise, very loving mother.

by Anonymousreply 269October 13, 2019 10:04 PM

Scatti was homely as fuck. She wouldn't be in a commercial if it weren't for Shirl's generosity.

by Anonymousreply 270October 13, 2019 10:37 PM

I sort of want to reread Sachi's book, but I'm not sure if I can face it. Know what I mean?

by Anonymousreply 271October 13, 2019 11:24 PM

In that commercial Sachi reminds me a bit of Teri Garr.

by Anonymousreply 272October 14, 2019 12:34 AM

I see what you mean, R272.

by Anonymousreply 273October 14, 2019 12:36 AM

Snatchy look like Valerie Cherish in that Diet Pepsi commercial!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 274October 14, 2019 12:50 AM

Scrunchie received Shirl's first kiss when she won her Oscar in 1984.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275October 14, 2019 3:37 AM

When Meryl Street gave her the AFI Life Achievement Award last year I believe, she dedicated it to the person she most loved in her life and ever will... her bother Warren. Talk about throwing a dagger at her daughter. MacLaine is a crazy, spoiled Hollywood star.

I knew someone who worked as her personal assistant. On his first day on the job she sent him out to buy every red blouse he could find, everywhere. He came home with, oh I don't know, probably 20 or 30 blouses from all different stores. She tried them on, picked one and told him to return the rest. His job lasted just a few more days because he couldn't bare that kind of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 276October 16, 2019 6:48 AM

[Quote]His job lasted just a few more days because he couldn't bare that kind of crazy.

She had him take his clothes off? I thought she was the one trying out the blouses.

by Anonymousreply 277October 16, 2019 7:33 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278October 18, 2019 5:11 PM

[quote]Maybe things are better, now.

Or worse.

by Anonymousreply 279October 18, 2019 5:56 PM

Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 280October 18, 2019 8:29 PM

Were all her lives perfect?

by Anonymousreply 281October 23, 2019 7:04 PM

R281 Yes, they were.

by Anonymousreply 282October 24, 2019 1:51 AM

I think Shirley is a wonderful actress and I love her in Some Came Running, The Apartment, and Sweet Charity but I believe everything Sachi wrote. A total Hollywood narcissist who would care more about a political campaign than her own daughter. Getting rid of her daughter allowed her to pursue her career with no worries and allowed her to have affairs with whomever she wanted.

Sachi when interviewed seems pretty damaged and who wouldn't be? She's fortunate though that her mother is so famous she could make money off this book. And Shirley probably told her she was not inheriting anything so Sachi had nothing to lose. And what's wrong with Sachi making money off her mother's rotten behavior? Shirl abused her daughter so horribly through neglect and putting her in harms way Sachi might as well get something out of it. That's really something when you're in school in Switzerland and you're so forgotten there is no one in the world who cares what you are going to do at Christmas break. Talk about having to depend on the kindness of strangers. Too bad Sachi didn't become a well known liberal politician. She would have gotten everything at her mother's death.

But Shirl is such a mean cranky old lady she probably has a number of years ahead of her.

by Anonymousreply 283October 24, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote] and one with a healthy but expansive ego.

You must consider Donald Trump a shrinking violet.

by Anonymousreply 284October 24, 2019 2:56 AM

She wheels her cart to her car - loads her own groceries - and takes the cart back to the proper place. She also seems to acknowledge people who recognize her.....and she's still driving herself.

Not a bad way to spend her last years.....in this existence.

by Anonymousreply 285October 24, 2019 4:48 PM

[quote]But Shirl is such a mean cranky old lady she probably has a number of years ahead of her.

Most old ladies are mean and cranky.

by Anonymousreply 286October 25, 2019 2:42 AM

That's a cruel stereotype, r286. Some older women are kind, cultured, and refined.

by Anonymousreply 287October 26, 2019 12:19 PM

I see Sachi's back - bumping the thread.

by Anonymousreply 288October 26, 2019 12:40 PM

Here's another Shirley sighting, this time at a drug store in Malibu. She's in another bag lady outfit that does nothing for her, but it's the same Prius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289October 30, 2019 11:39 PM

She's kind of overdoing the crème brulee. That's not a Fosse butt.

I thought it had been established it's a Corolla.

by Anonymousreply 290October 31, 2019 8:58 AM

She's eating her denial.

by Anonymousreply 291October 31, 2019 3:18 PM

Shirley says in another lifetime she was a princess in Egypt; she knows all about da Nile.

by Anonymousreply 292October 31, 2019 4:56 PM

After reading about Carrie Fisher and Debbie and their relationship, I really do wonder how lonely Shirley is without Sachi or if she even cares. She also has two grandsons. Does she ever see them.

by Anonymousreply 293October 31, 2019 8:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!