Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Still marvelous, still Midwestern

Still talking about old TV shows, indeed.

From 10 Underhill Terrace to Reva Bend and the Snyder farm in Luther's Corners, chatter away about your favorite pieces of real estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316April 10, 2020 10:03 PM

^ Aw....Casanova and Fanny ^

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2020 3:01 PM

Oooh...that old AW thread JUST got Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2020 3:02 PM

R2 My timing is exquisite, then!

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2020 3:07 PM

Just to update you - the last few discussion points included

ATWT's Rose story, and how it ended

ATWT killing the children of "legacy characters" off in the 2000s

The end of AW and the AW characters on ATWT

and more.

The old AW thread is here, for reference

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2020 5:53 PM

and the old GL thread.

They were both pretty much all P&G shows but one had a GL-related title (this one) and the other an AW title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2020 5:53 PM

West Wing's Bradley Whitford playing Dr, Jones during the Sonni/Solita storyline on Guiding Light

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2020 5:59 PM

I miss Gilly Grant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2020 9:00 PM

This makes me hate Goutman even more ...from SOD podcast from Martha B

I really needed something to kind of shake my tree a little bit. I felt like things were a little stagnant for me. When I say that I mean where do I go, like, everything was kind of done. When [EP] Chris Goutman presented it to me it was not supposed to be a biological twin, it was supposed to be just like a look-alike; that was the original idea. And then it was Hogan Sheffer who became the head writer right after that decision was made. He said, 'No, no, no, no. Let’s dive back into the history and make her a relative in some way.' So had he not done that, I think it would have fizzled …

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2020 10:29 PM

In May 1993, USA Network's 'Up All Night' late night show had a Mother's Day show features mothers in popular music.

When this 1984 video came on, my husband said, "Linda Dano did New Wave videos?!?!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2020 10:34 PM

For those that saw the scanned image last week....Digest did finally run the Martha B interview text online (from what people are saying the podcast may be somewhat different or have extra stuff....)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2020 12:40 AM

I didn't realize Bradley Whitford was on Guiding Light. And during the great Sonni/Solita story!

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2020 3:20 AM

A beacon in the darkness......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 26, 2020 6:31 AM

Aunt Liz?

I can hear you eavesdropping, dear.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2020 2:42 AM

Yes, r13. I'm eavesdropping. You know I always am.

I've been over on the Frank Grillo thread eavesdropping. Lots of discussion of Frank's GL days as Hart. Some quite juicy gossip over there, but lots of extraneous stuff too. Someone who seems to be an insider is saying Frank and Wendy were greatly disliked on the GL set and caused tremendous problems. Everyone was relieved when the pair finally departed.

Do go over there and have a listen. Most of the GL stuff is in the last half of the thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2020 10:29 AM

What did people think about Cady McLain's Rosanna Cabot?

I wasn't watching ATWT when Yvonne Perry played the part, but I quite enjoyed Cady's portrayal But then I didn't have anything to compare it.

So, tell me how the two compared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2020 10:33 AM

Three actors portrayed Mike Kasnoff on ATWT -- Shawn Christian, Mark Collier and Jon Prescott.

Which one was best in the role? Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2020 10:36 AM

I'm biased, because Yvonne Perry was on AOL (along with Allyson Rice-Taylor) and interacted with the fans. I thought both YP and ART were dolls. So I preferred her Rosanna over Cady's, who had too much of an edge and who frankly appeared in too many scenes with Hunt Block's Craig, who I loathed.

Shawn Christian was Mike. Mark Collier was OK, but his accent and lack of body hair disqualified him. Jon Prescott was too young for the part.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2020 11:34 AM

Did anybody catch Melina Kanakaredes on The Resident? She was killed off but she has aged shockingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2020 4:46 PM

I delete ALL soap threads and block their creators

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2020 4:51 PM

Shawn Christian was Mike, as someone said above. His first (shirtless) day, he owned the part, working in that garage. Mmm, mmm, mmm.

Now, I actually would prefer to have sex with Mark Collier. Much more my type. However, neither he nor any of the post-Shawn Christian actors really inhabited the role the way SC did.

I was already done with FMB's shitshow by the time she moved Dixie from Pine Valley to Oakdale. There was no Oakdale without Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2020 4:54 PM

Mark Collier was such a doll with fans - every fan event he was stayed well beyond the end time of the event to make sure every single fan had an autograph and picture with him (if they wanted one)

He said these fans drove miles and miles to see the stars of ATWT - so him giving up one day of his time to make sure all those fans got an autograph is no sacrifice for him.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2020 4:59 PM

Was he accepting blowjobs as payment for photos and autographs, one wonders, r21. I'd've exchanged dozens. I used to look exclusively at the scenes he was in after the anschluss.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2020 5:10 PM

And we are glad you do, r19.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2020 5:13 PM

and isn't everyone who played Mike Kasnoff gay(except SC)? Kinda like every adult Jamie from AW is gay

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2020 5:49 PM

Let's all FF and delete Miss R19. Clearly she has better things to do. Let us free those hours for her.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2020 6:19 PM

I thought Yvonne was boring and stiff. Cady was so much better when she arrived (it helps that the writer gave the character an edge she didn't have before), at least until she went into a stupor when paired with Paul.

SC was nice looking but a typical boring soap actor. Jon Prescott was pretty, but forgettable. I thought Mark C. was just okay, until they did that one special Christmas show where he played Desi Arnaz and showed he could be very, very funny. My opinion of his talent went way up after that.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2020 6:40 PM

There are rumors that once Mark C's preferences became known that he became chummy with a few married men on set.......

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2020 6:42 PM

Cady McClain Emmy Reel from 2004

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2020 6:44 PM

Cady McVain seems exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2020 6:53 PM

Wishful thinking, R27.

by Anonymousreply 30March 27, 2020 8:21 PM

R30 Well, it's old gossip. Take it as you will. Same gossip that claimed Michael Park loved to cruise bookstores.

by Anonymousreply 31March 27, 2020 8:42 PM

These soap threads have devolved into the same storyline

Every single male soap star is gay and having sex with each other and their "fans"

by Anonymousreply 32March 27, 2020 8:56 PM

R32 On the P&G threads, we talk about the actual show far, far more often than the gossip, so I don't know what the hell YOU are reading.

by Anonymousreply 33March 27, 2020 9:36 PM

In any case, we can leave the more lurid speculations in the Grillo thread and talk more about the performances and stories here.

by Anonymousreply 34March 27, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote] On the P&G threads, we talk about the actual show far, far more often than the gossip

I guess you missed the Frank Grillo/Kurt McKinney & Rick Hearst/ Frank Beatty stories on those P&G threads.

by Anonymousreply 35March 27, 2020 9:37 PM

[quote] On the P&G threads, we talk about the actual show far, far more often than the gossip

Who can forget the Douglas Marland and the endless actors who passed by the shows he was writing for - those stories are endless on P&G threads.

by Anonymousreply 36March 27, 2020 9:41 PM

Not saying the gossip doesn't appear at all but R32 was going a bit overboard.

by Anonymousreply 37March 27, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote]There are rumors that once Mark C's preferences became known that he became chummy with a few married men on set.......

When rumors about Mark C being gay and sometime after that that Michael Park was cruising bathhouses, suddenly Soap Digest or Soap Weekly ran a long story about the great friendship between Collier, Park and Scott Holroyd (he played Paul Ryan in 2001-2003, immediately before Roger Howarth). Went into great detail about what great buddies the three were and how they liked to hang out together when at the studio.

Whenever a story like that runs, it's always suspect. Sure, actors form friendships with their work colleagues. Sometimes they even do things together outside work. That doesn't mean it's worthy of a story about their friendship. So, when that story on the Collier, Park, Holroyd friendship ran, I knew something was up.

As someone who works in media, I can tell you stories like that are PR damage control trying to spin something. Often in the world of soaps, it's someone's heterosexuality they're trying to spin since the audience is primarily women who want/need to believe that their favorite actor is sexually available to them. Or at least to their sexual fantasies.

For example, in 2001 when gay gossip columnist Billy Masters ran a blind item suggesting GH's Jacob Young and Colton Scott (later known as Stephen Martines) were fucking like rabbits. About 6 weeks later, Soap Digest ran a long article about the fantastic friendship the two shared. That's when I knew there was possibly some truth behind the rumors. The blind item was in a gay gossip column, not a mainstream gossip column. If it had been completely false, they could have and likely would have ignored it.

Sometimes when there is smoke, there's fire.

by Anonymousreply 38March 27, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote] Not saying the gossip doesn't appear at all

R33 was acting as if these soap threads are a PHd discussion of the merits of daytime drama.

by Anonymousreply 39March 27, 2020 11:23 PM

R39 No, not at all. But we really don't spend huge amounts of time on gossip here, esp. compared to the hyper stan threads that litter the boards.

by Anonymousreply 40March 27, 2020 11:34 PM

R14 after almost twenty years of marriage Wendy and Frank are divorcing. She got tired of him cheating.

by Anonymousreply 41March 27, 2020 11:34 PM

R38 Liz, thank you for that post (and for jogging my memory).

I remembered gossip on the old RATSC boards and the like, specifically about Mark C in the studio with a guy - I thought they said it was one of the Chris Hughes actors. The poster on that old board said that whoever it was was overheard to say "No need to j/o, just go to Mark's dressing room, he'll take care of it in between scenes".

by Anonymousreply 42March 27, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote] For example, in 2001 when gay gossip columnist Billy Masters ran a blind item suggesting GH's Jacob Young and Colton Scott (later known as Stephen Martines) were fucking like rabbits.

I remember seeing the scene people gossiped about and damn, they looked like they were going to fuck right THERE.

by Anonymousreply 43March 27, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] But we really don't spend huge amounts of time on gossip here,

You must skip over alot of responses on these soap threads

by Anonymousreply 44March 27, 2020 11:39 PM

Recently saw Emma Snyder (Kathleen Widdoes) on the street. We chatted that it would soon be ten years since "World" went off Their Studio 2 in Brooklyn is now a self-storage facility.

by Anonymousreply 45March 27, 2020 11:41 PM

Kathleen Widdoes was on ATWT for 25 years

by Anonymousreply 46March 27, 2020 11:43 PM

I need some guidance, P&G pals. My s.o. and I are going crazy in quarantine, and I thought it might be fun for us to start watching The Doctors on Retro TV. But from what I've read, they are running it 3 times a day, with 3 different eras in each time slot? Is that true? And if it is, which time, as a huge Elizabeth Hubbard fan, should I watch?

I want to convert hubs to Hubs, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2020 12:11 AM

[qote]I remember seeing the scene people gossiped about and damn, they looked like they were going to fuck right THERE.

I know this isn't a GH thread and apologies for going off topic. But I wanted to address r43's comment. And Colton Scott/Stephen Martines did go on to star on GL, so this is about a P&G actor.

When GH first cast Jacob Young as Lucky in 2001, the show had Lucky and Nikolas arguing a lot as part of the storyline. I remember thinking at the time that those two seemed to be enjoying their arguments a bit too much. Seemed like they were really getting off on it. And yes, sometimes they looked like they were going to fuck right there on the set.

In 2002, I discovered DL and soon was involved with the DL soap thread. Back in those days, we had a lot of insiders posting here. Or at least they posed as insiders, but much of the information they posted turned out to be correct. As for Jacob Young and Stephen Martines, a supposed insider reported that during those arguing scenes the two would often get erections. Supposedly the cameramen had to do closeups to avoid showing the erections on screen. On a few occasions, a director would stop tape and tell them to calm down.

And if you want to know what Jacob Young's erection looked like, take a gander at this photo. I am stunned the show released that photo. Was someone blind? Or did they just not care?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2020 12:19 AM

Liz has all the tea! As she well should.

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2020 3:19 AM

Is Liz still with that Dutch fan? Did they marry? Or did that “special needs” kid of hers put the kibosh on it?

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2020 3:09 PM

Liz Hubbard?

I had no idea she had a "special needs" child.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2020 4:01 PM

Well, he’s not “special needs,” exactly but definitely has some form of ADHD.

by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2020 5:49 PM

Liz is 86, doubt her muffin shop is still open for business.

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2020 6:23 PM

As the OP of this thread I obv. know it's a P&G thread.....

But WOW. Sad news that John Callahan died. And way too young (66).

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2020 9:00 PM

I always thought they should have had Reva, instead of the clone or whatever other stupid stories they did, should have had another case of postpartum depression. But maybe it wasn't postpartum after all and she had another mental illness. It was smart to give her cancer, though.

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2020 9:07 PM

The cancer story had promise, but the way they did it was really dumb.

It should have been something that really made Reva think about who she was. Instead of something she kept secret.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2020 9:19 PM

I always liked Morgan Englund. Sigh.

Wish the show had done more with the Dylan character.

Hated Brian Gaskill's brief stint playing Dylan toward the end of the show. Completely wrong for the role. Luckily the show saw it too and dropped him. Was glad they brought Morgan back for a few shows at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 30, 2020 3:59 AM

Englund was cute, and he had great chemistry w/Zimmer and Jordan Clarke.

But I felt like his character never quite grew into what he could have potentially been. He was a bit too mellow to be the kid of Reva and Billy!

Both Dylan and Rusty Shayne ended up being entirely too goody two shoes. In the case of Rusty the role was just not cast very well.

by Anonymousreply 58March 30, 2020 4:27 AM

Rusty looked like a blond Dudley Do-Right.

by Anonymousreply 59March 30, 2020 8:16 PM

Not to be too snarky, but Dudley Do-Right was blond.

by Anonymousreply 60March 30, 2020 9:21 PM

Haha, OK, I wasn’t sure. He had pointy facial features like Dudley Do-Right. Good looking guy but zero sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 61March 30, 2020 9:30 PM

He may have been someone's type but not mine.

Just thought SO much more could have been done with a sexy, smirking kind of Rusty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 30, 2020 9:33 PM

Sort of cute here, but as dull as dishwater on screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 30, 2020 9:34 PM

I hated his voice. Too whispery. And he was too skinny. He was the sort of non-threatening men female soap watchers tend to like but arent really guy's guys.

by Anonymousreply 64March 30, 2020 9:35 PM

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I thought Mindy and Rusty had good chemistry

by Anonymousreply 65March 30, 2020 9:36 PM

Elizabeth Hubbard owns a bakery/ muffin shop!??

by Anonymousreply 66March 30, 2020 9:37 PM

R65, I thought they looked like brother and sister. I thought at one point that Rusty would have been revealed to be HB’s son.

by Anonymousreply 67March 30, 2020 10:03 PM

The actor who played Rusty was bad as was Sonia Satra as Lucy. Dull and could not act. That really was shocking on GL which was known for its acting.

by Anonymousreply 68March 30, 2020 10:12 PM

I see Sonia Satra all the time in my neighborhood on the Upper West Side. She still looks great.

by Anonymousreply 69March 30, 2020 10:45 PM

I didn't like Satra per se, she wasn't atrocious, but no one rang for Lucy, y'know? They were trying to make her Harley Part 2, and then made her a Beth Raines-style simp, which was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 70March 30, 2020 10:50 PM

In the 90s Guiding Light added the character of Bess Lowell (played by AMC's Elizabeth Lawrence) - Bess being the sister of Ellen Lowell Stewart (Patricia Bruder) of As The World Turns.

by Anonymousreply 71March 30, 2020 10:51 PM

Terrell Anthony was certainly cute. But as said, Rusty didn't really do much to light up the screen other than to look pretty.

Anybody know if Terrell Anthony was gay or straight?

by Anonymousreply 72March 31, 2020 12:57 AM

I didn't watch GL in the end because the Beverly HIllbillies was not a good look for it. I would rather it had ended sooner than watching it go from glorious sets and wardrobes to now filming inside of barns and people wearing their own Gap gear on camera. As Kim Zimmer put it, it was like raping the show. It was the one thing I ever agreed with her on anything.

by Anonymousreply 73March 31, 2020 1:09 AM

R72 I think he was a fundie Jesus freak.

Not answering your question but......

by Anonymousreply 74March 31, 2020 3:34 AM

[quote] As Kim Zimmer put it, it was like raping the show.

It was literal violence!

by Anonymousreply 75March 31, 2020 3:34 AM

I'm surprised Nia Long hasn't had a better career. Granted, she has done very well for herself but either Siskel or Ebert predicted she was absolutely win an Oscar some day.

by Anonymousreply 76March 31, 2020 4:55 AM

Muriel just Murieled the latest Y&R thread, "Are We Still Doing This?" I wonder if someone could start a new thread and provide a link to it in that thread. Current hot topic: the disgustingness of Phyllis, particularly as she sexes up the Crown Prince of Genoa City.

by Anonymousreply 77March 31, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote] I think he was a fundie Jesus freak.

He is still - but as an actor he still did bed scenes with his female co-stars, even if the characters were not married.

by Anonymousreply 78March 31, 2020 3:05 PM

Holy moly, 40 years ago tomorrow Roger Thorpe met his (first) demise. Plus Kevin Bacon and John Wesley Shipp sharing a scene!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 31, 2020 3:22 PM

I use to LOVE when soaps went on location. It was so exciting and GL did some great ones like this- so raw and gritty.

by Anonymousreply 80March 31, 2020 3:41 PM

Was any of you old queens watching when James Earl Jones/ Billy Dee Williams/Rudy Dee/ Cicely Tyson were on GL? JoBeth Williams? Was JoBeth on at the same time as Kevin Bacon?

by Anonymousreply 81March 31, 2020 5:45 PM

The guy who played Rusty once cruised me in the Village. What's the story with Shawn Christian? So good looking in his day. Who was he with?

by Anonymousreply 82March 31, 2020 5:57 PM

[quote]What's the story with Shawn Christian? So good looking in his day. Who was he with?

Not Scott DeFreitas.

by Anonymousreply 83March 31, 2020 6:05 PM

The new Y&R thread is here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 31, 2020 6:44 PM

If any of you were interested in the new soap book, Elana Levine's "Her Stories" it is 50 percent off right now. See link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 31, 2020 8:47 PM

Morgan Englund certainly aged well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 1, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote] Morgan Englund certainly aged well

His Guiding Light co-star Joan Collins had a TORRID affair with Morgan's father

by Anonymousreply 87April 1, 2020 12:45 AM

George Englund was handsome when he was younger.....Morgan looks like him a bit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 1, 2020 12:55 AM

11 years ago GL was cancelled.

Time is just FLYING by......

by Anonymousreply 89April 1, 2020 4:25 PM

Atwt wasn't the only show a certain exec foisted the cast of Port Charles upon; when I heard GL was bringing Dylan back I said to an exec at the show, 'Oh, Morgan...good.'

And there was silence; and I thought that's odd; well, they don't know who Morgan is maybe? Someone there has to know, though. They're bringing him back.

And, instead, we get Brian Gaskill. Who'd left a soap before. Models Inc. How bad do you have to be to be on a show whose nickname is Models Stink?

Fans knew the show so much better than the people who ran it.

by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2020 4:30 PM

Wasn’t Gaskill already on AMC before he went to GL?

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2020 4:49 PM

I don't think it was a terrible idea to try a new Dylan but Gaskill just wasn't it.

by Anonymousreply 92April 1, 2020 7:04 PM

R6, I think that's Helga of Sven and Helga on AW in the late 70s as the little old lady in the scene at the beginning.

Helen Stonberg.

She was married to Barnard Hughes "Doc"

by Anonymousreply 93April 2, 2020 2:58 AM

It’s Stenborg, not Stonberg.

by Anonymousreply 94April 2, 2020 4:43 PM

It’s Stenborg, not Stonberg.

by Anonymousreply 95April 2, 2020 4:43 PM

You say potato, I say po-tah-to.

by Anonymousreply 96April 2, 2020 6:26 PM

Uhh, no, R96, that’s her correct name. Nothing to do with pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 97April 2, 2020 9:09 PM

Thanks for correction; I think Sven, Helga, and Regina in the Cory manse got the show REALLY high ratings.

You had to suspend belief that Mac and Rachel couldn't see through Sven; he was SO threatening just by standing there.

I put Sven up there with Stefano and Helena Cassadine.

by Anonymousreply 98April 2, 2020 9:20 PM

Helen Stenborg daughter is married to Julianne Moore EX-Husband.

by Anonymousreply 99April 2, 2020 9:45 PM

Here is Helen Stenborg on Guiding Light as she was part of the Sonni/Solita storyline

Here she is with of all people Bradley Whitford (West Wing) playing a doctor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 2, 2020 9:50 PM

First time I saw Helen Stenborg was in an episode of St. Elsewhere - she played the mother of a dying AIDS patient (played by Kyle Secor)

Go 19:30 into video below - such a sad scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 2, 2020 9:56 PM

Frank, why is there a log backstage?

by Anonymousreply 102April 2, 2020 10:50 PM

Marvelous Midwesterners, I've been busy eavesdropping over on the Frank Grillo thread once again. That thread is still very active and has lots of juicy gossip.

I just wanted to report to you that the thread has evolved past talking exclusively about Frank and Wendy. Now they're talking about GL in general. Lots of comments about Justin Deas, Kim Zimmer, JFP, etc.

So, if the excruciating details about Wendy's backstage antics turned you off of that thread, you might want to return now to take a look. Some very provocative comments/info over there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 3, 2020 12:13 AM

R26, Yvonne Perry was no Meryl Streep, but she fit in with ATWT pretty well. I think the show was trying to recreate the success of Lily/Holden with Rosanna/Mike. Cady was a much better actress, and she was excellent when she first came on, hating Carly. But when they became loving sisters, and then when they paired Rosanna with Paul and Craig, things went downhill fast. I believe Cady is one of the few to receive Daytime Emmys for two different roles.

As for Mike Kasnoff, Mark C was my favorite. SC was steamy when he first created the character, but the actor had almost no range and could do little beyond take off his shirt. Jon Prescott was just WAY too young for the role.

by Anonymousreply 104April 3, 2020 1:04 AM

EDGE debuted 64 years ago today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 3, 2020 2:16 AM

[quote] I believe Cady is one of the few to receive Daytime Emmys for two different roles.

Hello? I ate two different shows!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 3, 2020 2:17 AM

Susan Flannery has acting Emmys for Days and for B&B.

by Anonymousreply 107April 3, 2020 3:39 AM

R104, a fair assessment of Yvonne, who is an extremely nice person.

The triangle with her Rosanna, Mike, and Carly was JUST starting to mesh when Maura left the show.

ATWT in the 90s post Doug Marland was uneven at best, but if you look at it compared to most of today's shows it's like Masterpiece Theater.

by Anonymousreply 108April 3, 2020 6:28 AM

Last night I had a terrible dream that Stephen Schnetzer was in the hospital with coronavirus. Comfort me!

by Anonymousreply 109April 3, 2020 10:28 AM

How is Linda Dano not THE patron saint of DL?

The things that keep me up at night...

by Anonymousreply 110April 3, 2020 10:57 AM

Interesting Search for Tomorrow trivia.

Jennifer Aniston was the guest on Jimmy Kimmel show Thursday night. She revealed that at age 13, she auditioned for the role of TR Kendall on Search. Since her father was playing the role of Martin Tourneur at the time, she figured it might give her an advantage in getting the part. However, she was wrong. Jane Krakowski won the role instead.

by Anonymousreply 111April 3, 2020 11:10 AM

[quote] Interesting Search for Tomorrow

26 episodes of Search For Tomorrow has just bee uploaded on YouTube from 1985

You can see Kevin Conroy singing and dancer Leslie Stevens dance to music from "La Cage aux Folles" (The best is yet to come) - at the time Leslie was doing DOUBLE Duty on "Search" - playing Justin during the day and her featured role on Broadways "La Cage aux Folles" 8 times a week,

Playlist at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 3, 2020 4:07 PM

Leslie Stevens reminded me a lot of Lisa Brown, who was also on Broadway before GL (she played one of the girls in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas).

by Anonymousreply 113April 3, 2020 5:20 PM

Didn't Lisa Brown do Anything Goes WHILE on the soaps?

by Anonymousreply 114April 3, 2020 5:21 PM

I recall reading that R114, yes

amazing; we didn't have the internet back in the 70s and 80s; 'just' the mags, but boy did they tell us a lot.

by Anonymousreply 115April 3, 2020 5:29 PM

ATWT reunion on YT hosted by former publicist:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 3, 2020 7:22 PM

R116 How exciting! Can't wait to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 117April 3, 2020 8:05 PM

SDFT, you should watch that one.....

by Anonymousreply 118April 3, 2020 8:11 PM

r114

If this is the Iva, Lisa Brown then I don't think she did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 3, 2020 8:35 PM

Lisa did Whorehouse before GL and 42nd Street while on GL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120April 3, 2020 8:37 PM

I missed later era SFT.

Who was the older man at the end of that clip at R112? And who was that sexy fucker with the curly hair that he was hugging?

by Anonymousreply 121April 3, 2020 8:44 PM

Six to eight weeks ago, someone posted the link to a streaming service that carried all the old episodes of The Doctors soap opera. Can someone please post that link again.

Now that I'm under coronavirus lockdown and stuck at home, it's a good time to binge watch The Doctors starting from those 1967 episodes.

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 122April 3, 2020 8:50 PM

[quote] who was that sexy fucker with the curly hair that he was hugging?

Robert Curtis Brown - here his now at 60

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123April 3, 2020 8:54 PM

Liz, it's RetroTV.

But I don't see the link to their subscription service on their site either, hope someone knows it!

by Anonymousreply 124April 3, 2020 8:55 PM

Yeah, I had the wrong tap-dancing show. I meant 42nd St. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 125April 3, 2020 10:38 PM

Thanks, r118. I turned it on and I couldn't stop watching it. That show was such a part of my life.

It was so nice to see Scotty D. I wish Maura had jumped out of the pool and given him a speaking part, but I got the feeling he really didn't want to be on camera. I was surprised at how much I liked Maura West. She reads books. She seems nothing like Carly Tenney. Martha Byrne and Don Hastings were fun, too.

I found that series A French Village that Dr. Bob was raving about. Seasons 1, 3, and 4 are available on Amazon Prime if you get a free 30-day trial subscription to MHz choice. And he said it's on hulu, to which I do not belong. I think I can get through 36 episodes in 30 days.

My favorite moments, of course, were the discussions of the SFK, including the eavesdropping porch. And the thing that makes me like Maura West most is that she took Emma's china home when the show ended. That is one classy lady, unlike the hideous character she played.

by Anonymousreply 126April 3, 2020 10:44 PM

Thanks, R116! That was fabulous. This cast is truly like a family.

by Anonymousreply 127April 3, 2020 10:46 PM

You’re welcome.

He was also publicist on GL-maybe he can bring on Kim Zimmer, Michelle Forbes and Beth Ehlers? Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 128April 3, 2020 10:56 PM

[quote] maybe he can bring on Kim Zimmer, Michelle Forbes and Beth Ehlers? Tee hee.

he'd have better luck bringing together Kim Zimmer & Cynthia Watros - as Watros recently gave a few interviews praising Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 129April 3, 2020 10:58 PM

Interesting mention of John Hensley in that video. And funny that Michael thought of Scott Holroyd before Scott Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 130April 3, 2020 11:05 PM

Love that video, thanks R116.

Don Hastings looks great for 86. Its actually a little amazing how many former vets are that age: Don, Eileen Fulton, Elizabeth Hubbard, and Kathryn Hays. Patricia Bruder is 83 and Kathleen Widdoes is 81 and Marie Masters is the youngster at 79.

While they are all still alive its almost like ATWT is still alive. It's going to be very depressing when they start passing away.

by Anonymousreply 131April 3, 2020 11:27 PM

AuntLiz, is this the one you mean? Otherwise, someone used to upload all of the episodes onto Dailymotion.com (under Hope Memorial, or something like that). I don't know if they are still there or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 4, 2020 5:54 AM

Yes, that's the site, r132. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 133April 4, 2020 11:34 AM

Just saw that the GL cast will be in a streamcast like the ATWT one - coming this Wednesday at 3 pm EST.

Wait, just realized they did the ATWT at 2 pm EST. Their old time slots. *sobs*

by Anonymousreply 134April 4, 2020 8:27 PM

We are in daylight saving time r134. It is EDT.

by Anonymousreply 135April 4, 2020 9:29 PM

Well, SMELL Miss R135!

by Anonymousreply 136April 4, 2020 9:51 PM

R134

What actors?

by Anonymousreply 137April 4, 2020 10:50 PM

R137 Hasn't been announced yet.

by Anonymousreply 138April 4, 2020 11:28 PM

I’m guessing it will be Kim Zimmer, Robert Newman, Ron Raines and, I hope, Beth Chamberlain and Grant Aleksander. Maybe Michael O’Leary.

by Anonymousreply 139April 5, 2020 12:07 AM

Who here remembers how the whole Marley is Donna's daughter not sister and oh, Vicky is her twin business was revealed?

by Anonymousreply 140April 5, 2020 1:08 AM

^^^^

I would love to see that on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 141April 5, 2020 1:32 AM

r141 It would have happened in 1985, shortly after the introduction of Vickey.

Don't know if the episodes are online, but Vickey's first appearance was on April 11, 1985 so it would have happened sometime shortly after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 5, 2020 1:47 AM

They are online - type Another world 1985 at youtube and a playlist will pop up

by Anonymousreply 143April 5, 2020 1:49 AM

Forrest Compton from EON died of COVID-19.

Sharon Gabet posted it on FB.

by Anonymousreply 144April 5, 2020 6:43 PM

Oh wow. That’s sad. He had a few good innings, at least.

AIDS really hit the EON cast worse than the others, didn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 145April 5, 2020 7:27 PM

Sharon Gabet is the same actress who REFUSED to do any scenes with an actor showing signs of AIDS

Yes Gabet was pregnant, but she was also a registered nurse

by Anonymousreply 146April 5, 2020 7:50 PM

R48 Right before Lucky returned played by Jacob Young, Nik started to show an interest in Liz and the show clearly stet-up a love triangle between the three, which was totally dropped and Nik's feelings were totally forgotten until years later when both Young and Scott were off the show.

by Anonymousreply 147April 5, 2020 8:07 PM

The actor who played Neil Everest from GL (the guy who brought a thought-dead Beth back to SF, is singer Billie Eilish's father.

by Anonymousreply 148April 5, 2020 8:23 PM

R146, this was at the beginning of the HIV days. We knew very little about it. Gabet was not being unreasonable. It was later that we learned how it was transmitted. Because the federal government refused to fund AIDS research for years (because the virus was affecting gays), it took too long a time to figure out how the virus worked. Contrast that with the current virus!

by Anonymousreply 149April 5, 2020 8:32 PM

I really love Tom Pelphrey who is in the newest season of Ozark but fuck he really can only play one type of character huh?

by Anonymousreply 150April 5, 2020 10:39 PM

R148 Wow, had no idea.

Her mom was briefly on ATWT as Taylor (a spoiler in the Lyla/Casey story in the late 80s).

by Anonymousreply 151April 5, 2020 10:42 PM

The sheer joy of knowing that two soap day players spawned the pox that is Billie Eilish will certainly carry me through this current national nightmare.

Perhaps Joel (as available) and Bootsie Gumdrop would like to participate in a celebratory Tik-Tok.

by Anonymousreply 152April 6, 2020 4:20 PM

R147, I don't think Gabet became a nurse until AFTER she left OLTL in the late 80s.

I had just come of age in the early 80s and throughout the mid 80s (EDGE went off in 84) there were talk shows -- Donahue, Geraldo -- doing entire episodes debating how the virus was transmitted.

I can't blame her.

The show incorporated a flashback of Dennis Parker in either its last or second to last episode.

by Anonymousreply 153April 6, 2020 4:55 PM

R150 OMG that's so true of ALL of them.

Even the greats have a certain style they fall into.

by Anonymousreply 154April 6, 2020 4:56 PM

There will be a GL reunion this Wednesday like last week's ATWT reunion.

As of now KZ, RN, MG and LK are going to be there.

by Anonymousreply 155April 6, 2020 5:19 PM

I dont speak initials. Zimmer, Newman, ?, ?

by Anonymousreply 156April 6, 2020 6:09 PM

Zimmer, Newman, Liz Keifer and Maureen Garrett, so far.

by Anonymousreply 157April 6, 2020 6:32 PM

R152 both of Billie Elish parents were CONTRACT players on their respective soaps - not day players

by Anonymousreply 158April 6, 2020 6:33 PM

I don't know that Maggie Baird was under contract at ATWT.

Neil may have well been on contract, though his stint was what, six months?

by Anonymousreply 159April 6, 2020 6:46 PM

[quote] I don't know that Maggie Baird was under contract at ATWT.

She was under contract

by Anonymousreply 160April 6, 2020 6:50 PM

How on earth would you know, R160?

by Anonymousreply 161April 6, 2020 6:52 PM

How does one view the GL reunion? I did not see the ATWT last week.

by Anonymousreply 162April 6, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote] How on earth would you know

Contract players get billed BEFORE day players

Here in this credit crawl (go into video at 43:07) Maggie Baird is billed BEFORE Scott Holmes (Tom) and Melanie Smith (Emily) as ATWT billed its contract players by seniority

Unless you are suggesting that Scott Holmes & Melanie Smith were day players as well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163April 6, 2020 7:11 PM

R161, I'm not R160, but did watch back at that time; Maggie was on 2 to 3 x week, I recall, a constant thorn in Lyla's side -- 'surely a woman of YOUR AGE is sophisticated enough to know that that kiss with Casey meant nothing...'

a character like that would be contract, especially back then when shows had more money.

She was positioned to be a long-term bitch; she was on her way to sink her hooks into Tom (Scott Holmes), but then her time abruptly ended.

by Anonymousreply 164April 6, 2020 7:12 PM

R164 see R163

by Anonymousreply 165April 6, 2020 7:15 PM

R162

The GL reunion will be LIVE on Youtube like the ATWT one was.

by Anonymousreply 166April 6, 2020 7:33 PM

Okay, I am convinced. You bitches did your homework.

by Anonymousreply 167April 6, 2020 7:34 PM

I went to IMDB after the post up thread about Billie's dad being on GL. I wanted to see what he looked like because I can't remember him.

He wasn't listed on IMDB. Anyone have a photo from back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 168April 6, 2020 7:35 PM

R168 Billie's dad sparring with Sherry Stringfield (Blake) on Guiding Light

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169April 6, 2020 7:37 PM

LK is Liz Keifer and MG must be Maureen Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 170April 6, 2020 8:34 PM

as we covered at R157

by Anonymousreply 171April 6, 2020 8:44 PM

I doubt she was on contract. She didn’t play an ongoing character, she was there for a very limited period of time.

by Anonymousreply 172April 6, 2020 8:55 PM

Jerry ve Dorn will be a part of the reunion as well.

by Anonymousreply 173April 6, 2020 8:57 PM

[quote] I doubt she was on contract. She didn’t play an ongoing character, she was there for a very limited period of time.

It's as if people don't even read the thread...

by Anonymousreply 174April 6, 2020 11:08 PM

R172 read R163

by Anonymousreply 175April 6, 2020 11:12 PM

Was Maggie Baird ever on contract?

by Anonymousreply 176April 6, 2020 11:27 PM

Sometimes day players DID manage to get put in the end crawl mixed in with the principals. I saw it on The Doctors all the time. No way was Maggie Baird on contract.

by Anonymousreply 177April 7, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote] I saw it on The Doctors all the time.

The Doctors was NOT a P&G soap -

P&G soaps policy was contract players, then dayplayers.

by Anonymousreply 178April 7, 2020 12:26 AM

GL had great day players ( I guess that is how they were characterized) like Wanda, Vera, Ginger and Donna (Ginger played by Allison Janney), Dr Sedgewick among others.

by Anonymousreply 179April 7, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote] No way was Maggie Baird on contract.

My God! You are just wrong. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 180April 7, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote] Dr Sedgewick among others.

In real life the actress was wife to GL director John Sedgewick (hence the character name) and later on her daughter JoAnne Sedgewick was a director on GL as well!

by Anonymousreply 181April 7, 2020 12:31 AM

FUCK MAGGIE BAIRD AND HER FUCKING HUSBAND AND THEIR STANK DAUGHTER!!!!!!!!

ENOUGH!!!!

You fucks all need a kick in your collective CUNTS!

by Anonymousreply 182April 7, 2020 12:35 AM

Love you, Ada! xoxoxoxo

Her daughter stinks and looks like a shaggy bathroom plush rug with eyes.

by Anonymousreply 183April 7, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] ENOUGH!!!! —Ada Hobson

Here Maggie Baird plays Rhonda the manicurist at the "Hair Affair" and does a scene with Ada Hobson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 7, 2020 12:39 AM

^oof the second Jerry Grove was a dud.

by Anonymousreply 185April 7, 2020 3:29 AM

R181

I had no idea. This is one of the reasons I love these threads. I learn something new.

by Anonymousreply 186April 7, 2020 11:11 AM

I miss Ada and Clarice; fun clip.

by Anonymousreply 187April 7, 2020 11:22 AM

December 1984: Carl Hutchins' introduction to Bay City society. I wish we had learned more about Carl & Donna's marriage, but they always kept it pretty vague.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188April 7, 2020 12:58 PM

Joe Morton has some awesomely large hair in that episode!

by Anonymousreply 189April 7, 2020 1:07 PM

Love love love Carl Hutchins! He was so deliciously evil. I particularly liked when he kidnapped Rachel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 7, 2020 2:02 PM

Love love love Carl Hutchins! He was so deliciously evil. I loved the sexual tension between Rachel and he, especially when he kidnapped her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191April 7, 2020 2:09 PM

Charles Keating was such a ham, but yes, I loved his Carl. He and Vicky Wyndham had major chemistry even as antagonists. But what I liked most about that episode you linked is early Tom Eplin in jeans an t-shirt (and shirtless, too).

by Anonymousreply 192April 7, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote] GL had great day players ( I guess that is how they were characterized) like Wanda, Vera, Ginger and Donna (Ginger played by Allison Janney), Dr Sedgewick among others.

Don't forget me!

by Anonymousreply 193April 7, 2020 3:29 PM

R192 oh yes. I remember when we were all young and good looking.

by Anonymousreply 194April 7, 2020 3:42 PM

I am the biggest Carl Hutchins fangurl, and I think it's interesting how the character progressed over the decades (even before his big mid-90s 'redemption arc') from his intro as a more-or-less straightlaced businessman villain to ponytailed Eastern philosopher villain.

I guess umpteen prison sentences and innumerable not-quite-deaths will change a man.

by Anonymousreply 195April 7, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]I guess umpteen prison sentences and innumerable not-quite-deaths will change a man.

Not to mention even more innumerable writer and producer changes...

by Anonymousreply 196April 7, 2020 6:34 PM

Is there some sort of database of all the 80s AW eps out there somewhere? It was the beginning of the videotape age and you just KNOW someone taped it all.

by Anonymousreply 197April 7, 2020 7:04 PM

The flames practically shot off Eplin when he made that entrance. Hot bastard.

by Anonymousreply 198April 7, 2020 7:26 PM

I suspect the show left the Donna-Carl Hutchins relationship deliberately vague so the writers would have plenty of room if they ever chose to explore it. Similarly, the Carl-Felicia relationship was never fully fleshed out either. Remember when Carl debuted in Dec. 1983, he was trying to rekindle his romance with Felicia.

Although Carl seemed like an average businessman when he debuted, the show quickly tried to make him into a super villain a la Stefano DiMera. That was during one of several periods where NBC was pushing AW to mimic Days more. That's also why Sally and Catlin emerged as the show's big super couple about that same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199April 7, 2020 7:53 PM

I never watched AW but how did it fall from grace so fast? Seemed like it was one of the top shows one minute then the next it just fell off a cliff to the lower rungs of the ratings forever, never to rebound.

by Anonymousreply 200April 7, 2020 7:56 PM

Why didn't the P&G shows cross pollinate more? They could have had, say, a character be presumed dead on one show, show up on another until they returned to the other show.

Or trade villians for awhile.

Seems esp GL and ATWT could have done this easily. I know there are lots of logistical issues with this but it could have been done.

by Anonymousreply 201April 7, 2020 7:59 PM

R200, I think it was the expansion to 90 minutes in 1979. It was just too long.

by Anonymousreply 202April 7, 2020 10:44 PM

R202 is right. It had periods of strength after that, but it never really recovered from the 90 minute debacle.

by Anonymousreply 203April 7, 2020 10:46 PM

"To accommodate Texas, Another World went back to 60 minutes, and was moved from 2:30PM to 2:00PM. Two million viewers defected from AW, partly due to McKinsey's departure, partly due to the time change, and partly due to the influx of new characters who then moved to Texas. Because of the audience erosion, the move to 90-minute installments is generally regarded as a failure."

by Anonymousreply 204April 7, 2020 10:49 PM

R204 If all that is true, what a colossal fuck up. AW seemed like such a non-issue from the 80's on. Even when ATWT or GL slipped in the ratings, they were still very much regarded as relevant and essential soaps. AW just seemed to have all the air taken out of it. Was it up against GL and GH? If so, both of them were ratings winners (how GL maintained its ratings against GH is a testament to its popularity).

by Anonymousreply 205April 7, 2020 11:06 PM

AW lost the bulk of its original families and no one figured out how to restore them (like ATWT did) AND they didn't bring in compelling new families (like Y&R did). As good as Cass and Felicia and ORDonna were, they weren't surrounded by long-running compelling families and were not tied strongly to the Matthews or the Corys well (except when following Lemay's bible).

by Anonymousreply 206April 7, 2020 11:11 PM

AW didn't seem to have any exciting characters or stories the others had in the 80's. Has a show ever fallen so hard so fast?

by Anonymousreply 207April 7, 2020 11:17 PM

Eddie Dreuding's comments in his 1996 SOD interview:

[quote]The show has a very bad reputation, I find. Especially in the last years. It was doing great in the '70s, with [former head writer] Harding Lemay, but then he left and they made some awful decisions. I mean, there was one story in the early '80s with Rachel and she was pursuing this Russian expatriate. Remember that? It was strange. And ANOTHER WORLD never really bounced back. They kept making changes and more changes every few years. It would get a reputation of the show being in transition. People hear about the show and they say, "That's the show that can't get its act together." Why should people have confidence in a show that has none in itself? So we're sort of caught in a double bind here. I think that ANOTHER WORLD has to appeal to its long-term fans, make them happy, and once that happens, they'll spread the good word about the show and perhaps attract new viewers, but it's a long process. It can't be solved by a quick fix.

by Anonymousreply 208April 7, 2020 11:20 PM

Who played the Russian expatriate?

by Anonymousreply 209April 8, 2020 12:07 AM

Another thing that happened to AW is that it had been at 3 PM for a long time, and the choice to make all the changes - first to 90 minutes, then to the spinoff, and losing McKinsey - happened just as General Hospital was on the rise.

So when it went back to 60 minutes, it was in a new time slot. It may have also lost a big chunk of viewers who liked seeing it at 3. Time slot changes do matter, or at least they did then. ATWT was on fire for a stretch but when they pushed it to 2 PM from 1:30 it took a hit.

by Anonymousreply 210April 8, 2020 12:11 AM

Of course, the worst thing to happen in AW's last years was the inconsistency. ATWT and GL had some of these issues at the end, but from the early 80s till the end, AW seemed to get a new writer or producer at least once a year, and it killed momentum.

Characters and families would enter the canvas, and exit at the whims of the next writer or producer. Through lines for existing characters weren't always easy to find.

by Anonymousreply 211April 8, 2020 12:12 AM

I agree with the writer up thread- AW just did not have a good reputation as a good show for whatever reason. It seemed dated and old, as well. It didn't seem to get the respect GL or ATWT did for their age because they reinvigorated their shows and the new audience sampling shows in the 80's deemed them interesting. GL, in particular, seemed fresh from the late 70's on. As has been pointed out, it held its own against GH during its heyday. It even gained during that time!

by Anonymousreply 212April 8, 2020 12:24 AM

I disagree. AW was still good after those changes. We had good storylines: Who Shot Jake, Vicky/Ryan, Cass/Franckie, Felicia learning Lorna was her daughter, Felicia's alcoholism, Iris being the Chief, etc...

Was it at it's zenith? No but it was still damn good soap.

by Anonymousreply 213April 8, 2020 12:28 AM

R213 I don't think many are disputing that. It was its reputation that wasn't good. And it could never shake it.

by Anonymousreply 214April 8, 2020 12:29 AM

R213 There were periods of good, especially around when Lemay did the late 80s reset, but for whatever reason, the bulk of its viewers left and never returned.

by Anonymousreply 215April 8, 2020 12:34 AM

So AW was opposite ATWT and ? in the 80's? I say this because if GL could have kept up and gained viewers against GH then AW could have but there was just a reputation that would not shake. Sorry to harp on that but it just didn't get any benefit of the doubt even after being so dominant and well regarded just before.

by Anonymousreply 216April 8, 2020 12:37 AM

There were 2 shows known has having zero identities or visions in the 1980's and some of the 90's-

They were Loving and AW.

by Anonymousreply 217April 8, 2020 12:46 AM

R216

In my city AW came on at 1pmC, GH came on at 2pmC and ATWT came on at 3pmC AW was opposite OLTL, GH was opposite Santa Barbara and ATWT had no soap opposite it.

by Anonymousreply 218April 8, 2020 12:52 AM

Network affiliates can air soaps anytime they chose - they are under no obligation to air it when the network wants them to air. Most affiliates do but some don't. Some affiliates didn't air some soaps at all.

by Anonymousreply 219April 8, 2020 12:54 AM

In most of the country, AW would have initially been on against GH and GL when it was at 3 PM - it went to an hour before either of those other shows did.

When it moved to 2 PM, it was on against OLTL and part or all of ATWT. ATWT was 1:30-2:30 until 1987, so AW's second half was against Search, then against Capitol. When ATWT moved to 2 PM, they were neck in neck.

R219 is correct. Times can be flexible or they don't have to air at all.

My local CBS station did not air ATWT at all for many years. I only got to see it because another CBS affiliate was on our cable system. GL's cancellation is almost certainly because their clearance rates were low at the end. Maybe 60-70 percent of affiliates were carrying it. Many were carrying GL in the morning.

As an aside: Ryan's Hope clearance was somewhere in the 30s or 40s if I remember - once ABC moved it to noon, none of the stations wanted to pull their newscast.

by Anonymousreply 220April 8, 2020 12:58 AM

I should say those times were Eastern but the general idea was the same for other zones.

by Anonymousreply 221April 8, 2020 12:59 AM

In the late 1970s, the entire NBC lineup was in ratings freefall. Both NBC daytime and primetime. Fred Silverman was brought in as the wunderkind network head, but he couldn't replicate the success he'd had with CBS and ABC earlier in the decade. The joke was the network test pattern got more viewers than the NBC primetime schedule.

As for the soap line up, the entire NBC soap line up was in trouble. Days was suffering because longtime HW Bill Bell left to devote himself to Y&R full time and subsequent HWs couldn't find the right direction for teh show. Meanwhile, Doug Marland who had done great things with The Doctors jumped ship to General Hospital in 1978.

As for AW, Harding Lemay was suffering from burnout from devising long term story for AW and also writing three or four scripts a week for AW. At the same time, he also had created and wrote the Lovers and and Friends soap for NBC in 1977, but it failed to take off. So, by 1978, his AW storylines were starting to suffer. Plus, the network was pushing him to create more sensationalist stories, which is why the evil Sven terrorized the Corys (it was a fantastic story, but it was not the type of story that Lemay typically did).

While all this was going on, the ABC soaps were surging. I've said this before, but ABC soaps captured the zeitgeist of the late 1970s in a way that the NBC soaps didn't. ABC soaps were fun, spellbinding and exciting. It was cool for young people, especially college age people, to watch ABC soaps. It was definitely not cool to watch NBC.

ABC soaps had unusual characters with many shades of gray like Luke Spencer or Marco Dane or Billy Clyde Tuggle, characters that you would never have seen in the Bay City. Allso the ABC soaps moved at a faster pace. ABC shows had multiple scenes within an act, whereas the NBC soaps still usually had just one scene to an act. So, it felt like you were getting a lot more story on ABC, stories that somehow captured the late 1970s zeitgeist.

All that factored into why AW suffered so much in the late 1970s. And then NBC made the disastrous decision to expand to 90 minutes. And we all know how well that went.

by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2020 1:12 AM

Great discussions and insights about AW everyone! It's interesting to lament . . . sad too. I don't know what happened to AW other than so many writing changes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2020 1:16 AM

R217; I agree

Once Loving lost Doug and I suppose Agnes on a regular basis, it was rudderless.

When AW dumped the Matthews clan, it lost so much.

Was I the only person who thought David Canary was great as Steve Frame?

If they felt he wasn't working out send him and Alice away, don't kill him off a second time.

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2020 1:19 AM

Aunt Liz, you are a plethora of soap information, I always appreciate your responses and insights.

by Anonymousreply 225April 8, 2020 1:22 AM

What killed Another World over the years was NBC continual insistence that AW be compatible to Days of our Lives - That is not what Another World was about. P&G soaps are not ABC Soaps

But that is what the network wanted, adventure, intrigue, spies. So each head writer tried to turn the show into an ABC Soap, but in process kept chipping away at the identity of the show and by the end there was nothing left

by Anonymousreply 226April 8, 2020 1:24 AM

Thanks for that post at R222, AuntLiz! You just cannot beat the soap historians at DL!

by Anonymousreply 227April 8, 2020 1:25 AM

Below is a link to the network daytime schedule for 1979-80. These times are all Eastern, but it lets you know what time the networks intended the soaps to run. To see the daytime line-up for different years, just click on the link for that year at the bottom of the page.

As was said, the affiliates were free to air the shows at different times if they wanted. However, the networks did pressure the affiliates to run the soaps at the times they intended. This was especially true at ABC which really wanted its shows presented as a block and they publicized them as such ("Love in the Afternoon").

CBS also put some pressure on its affiliate to run its shows as a block. However, NBC did not, especially once the daytime ratings started declining in the late 1970s. NBC letting those affiliates air the soaps piecemeal was another major mistake. Soaps need to air as a network block!

Where I lived in between several metro markets, we could receive multiple NBC stations. Once AW expanded to 90 minutes, one of those stations quit carrying AW altogether, opting for kids programming instead. Another station moved the 90 minute AW to the 9 a.m. slot and a third station aired it at 2:30 p.m. as the network intended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 8, 2020 1:31 AM

Y&R aired against nothing in TX for most of the 80's which I think gave it an unfair advantage. All the rest were thrown to the wolves and asked to fight it out. The 2pm slot (Central) where GL and GH were in the top 3/4 was particularly bloody.

by Anonymousreply 229April 8, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote]What killed Another World over the years was NBC continual insistence that AW be compatible to Days of our Lives

Yes, NBC pressured AW to be more compatible with Days in the 1980s and 1990s. No doubt about that.

The irony is, in the 1970s, the opposite was true. In the 1970s, AW was consistently higher rated that Days and NBC pushed Days to be more compatible with AW.

After nine years as Days HW, Bill Bell left in 1975, but stayed on as a storyline consultant for two more years. But once Bell was gone in 1977, Days was rudderless. NBC kept pushing Days to be more like AW, which was in much better shape at the time.

Days trying to mimic AW in the 1970s didn't work anymore than AW trying to mimic Days in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 230April 8, 2020 1:43 AM

Someone commented upthread about David Canary playing Steve Frame. I thought he was a good actor. He just wasn't right for Steve Frame. He was so completely different from George Reinholt. I'm still amazed they cast him.

There were many solutions rather than killing off Steve Frame a second time. Having Alice and Steve fall back in love was the most obvious (problem was Canary had so much more chemistry with Victoria Wyndham than he did with Linda Borgeson who was playing Alice at the time).

Another solution would be have someone come to town exposing him as a fraud. Or possibly even have him exposed as an escaped mental patient who had assumed Edward Black/Steve Frame's identity.

A good headwriter could have come up with any number of ideas for what to do with Canary. Problem was AW didn't have many good HWs in the early 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 231April 8, 2020 1:52 AM

Many thanks for the kind words everyone. A doddering old lady like myself always appreciates it. Happy to share my knowledge with you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232April 8, 2020 1:53 AM

GL benefited from being opposite GH. GL was getting good buzz for the Four Muskateers story line. Many would sample GL , particularly those in college, when GH was in commercial or boring (and lets face it, it was boring and got pretty stupid for awhile). They liked what they saw on GL so much it hit #1 briefly in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 233April 8, 2020 1:57 AM

R233 I am currently rewatching GL on YouTube 1982-1984. It was good! I love all my old friends and family from my favorite stories. AW, GL, so many characters and stories to love and remember. It's great to reminisce with all of you!

by Anonymousreply 234April 8, 2020 2:46 AM

R122 here is the link to The Doctors streaming service. There is also an app on Roku for it. I've been watching and it is great. I hope it is a success and inspires P&G(or whomever owns the soaps now) to follow suit with their soaps and ABC with their cancelled soaps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 8, 2020 3:00 AM

Regarding the question of Another World expanding to 90 minutes in March 1979, we obviously know now that was a fatal mistake, one the AW never fully recovered from. It finally pushed Harding Lemay over the edge to complete burnout and it pushed the boundaries of what viewers were willing to sit through.

But until it was tried, no one knew whether it could work. Remember, in 1975, no one knew whether 60 minutes of a soap five days a week was workable either. But when AW expanded to 60 minutes in Jan 1975, it was a hug success. Days quickly followed suit in April 1975 and ATWT went to an hour in Dec. 1975. But those three soaps were also at the top of the ratings when they expanded.

Before that, there had been a handful of special hour-long episodes of soaps. AW did a 60 minute episode in May 1974 for its 10th anniversary featuring Steve and Alice's wedding. Days did a 60 minute episode in Nov 1974 for its 9th anniversary. Both were ratings hits. But again, both AW and Days were at the top of the ratings at that time.

There had also been a handful of 90 minute episodes of soaps. When How to Survive a Marriage debuted on NBC in Jan 1974, it did so with a 90 minute episode. When Edge of Night moved from CBS to ABC in Dec 1975, its first ABC episode was 90 minutes long, running from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. That episode had to tie up storylines from the final cliffhanger on CBS and also launch new storylines for ABC viewers while also introducing the characters to ABC viewers. Incidentally, ABC also re-aired that 90 minute Edge episode that same night starting at 11:30 p.m.

My point is, the few attempts at doing 90 minute episodes were not a good indication that 90 minutes could work since both attempts were introductory episodes (the Edge episode introducing the show to ABC viewers). So, NBC expanding AW to 90 minutes on a full time basis in 1979 without even doing a few test run episodes was ill advised. But as I explained above, entire NBC network was in bad shape in 1979 and TPTB were doing many stupid things at the network.

Also consider that AW was not in great shape creatively in 1979. As I explained in my post above, Harding Lemay was getting burned out and the storylines airing at that point were far from his best. And the ratings reflected that as well. AW had fallen from #1 in the 1977-78 season to #8 in 1978-79.

I've often wondered what would have happened if it had been All My Children that had expanded to 90 minutes in 1979. Would it have found success with the 90 minutes? Who knows. But I can say that in 1979, AMC was #1 in the ratings in 1978-79 and was at the beginning of its most creative zenith, one that would last about five years. With that going for it, AMC certainly would have had a better chance of succeeding at 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 236April 8, 2020 11:07 AM

I called up my mom who was a long time GL watcher about why she switched to GH then switched back to GL. She said GL had always been so good and steady. She said GL had a certain quality no other show had but she couldn't put her finger on what it was. She said, like so many, she was curious about GH when the buzz began. GL, she said, had too many villians at the time, so she switched over to GH. She was riveted by the L&L story. But it didn't last long. She found the rest of the show so so and she said it got really silly quick. She switched back to GL and never looked back. She didn't regret switching over to GH for awhile saying when it was good, it was great. But she always found GL to be much better and said at its peak, GL was far superior.

by Anonymousreply 237April 8, 2020 3:50 PM

Just from watching clips of GH from 83-84- I am very surprised it held its popularity- It was boring and lifeless. As was OLTL during that period..

Not surprised at all that GL did so well- It clearly had excellent writing and extremely appealing characters/well cast actors of various ages..

Very impressed at that show doing as well as it did in the 80's during the ABC juggernaut.

(I haven't watched soaps in years and was just a Y&R and OLTL fan from 86-95?)

I do remember sampling GL during Sonni/Solita, and I loved it- but I didn't stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 238April 8, 2020 6:21 PM

GH rode for years on the work done by Doug Marland 77-79 and Pat Falken Smith late 79 to 81.

Viewers stayed for the characters.

Just like they're staying now for Y&R when it is absolute crap. Every storyline is happening off screen.

by Anonymousreply 239April 8, 2020 6:52 PM

I can't imagine why anybody would have been watching GH in 1983-84 when Santa Barbara was on in the same time slot.

by Anonymousreply 240April 8, 2020 6:57 PM

The GL'ers are on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241April 8, 2020 7:09 PM

Well, SB didn't start till July 84; to me, the show started with good intentions but it got all over the place.

First, they blared that song "if Ever You're In My Arms Again..." like 3x a week.

The Ice Castles theme, Victor and Nikki's song on Y&R, has maybe been played 10 times in 40 years.

SB did all that stunt casting -- Robin Mattson, Kristen Meadows, Justin Deas -- the list went on. I didn't get SB until the end when Pam Long took over. ( I know that's an unpopular opinion.)

by Anonymousreply 242April 8, 2020 7:14 PM

R236 Concerning running time, don't forget that the ABC soaps AMC, OLTL, and GH all expanded from 30 min to 45 min in the mid/late 1970s before expanding to an hour. Did any of the other soaps experiment with a 45min runtime?

by Anonymousreply 243April 8, 2020 8:33 PM

Enjoyed the GL reunion but not as much as the ATWT one.

Liz Keifer hosts a podcast! (rolls eyes). It’s called Let’s All Feel Better. I’d rather listen to Kim Zimmer host a podcast called Let’s All Bitch About Beth.

by Anonymousreply 244April 8, 2020 9:41 PM

Enjoyed the GL reunion but not as much as the ATWT one.

Liz Keifer hosts a podcast! (rolls eyes). It’s called Let’s All Feel Better. I’d rather listen to Kim Zimmer host a podcast called Let’s All Bitch About Beth.

by Anonymousreply 245April 8, 2020 9:41 PM

R245 Beth Ehlers, correct?

Kim needs to just DISH. Spill that tea. You know she wants to. Her book was tame.

by Anonymousreply 246April 8, 2020 10:01 PM

I loved Kim's Designing Women story -- that her role was basically a tryout for another Bloodworth-Thomason show, that Delta filmed all her scenes in one day apart from the rest of the cast, and that Delta was as sweet as could be to Kim.

by Anonymousreply 247April 8, 2020 10:12 PM

Didn't listen to the GL reunion. I might at some point. My impression is that that cast is not a family like the ATWT cast is.

by Anonymousreply 248April 8, 2020 10:14 PM

Her book was tame, R246.

I never knew her and La Lucci to be pals or even social friends (not that I would, granted), but Zim Zim goes on about how nice Lucci is in her book. Odd, I thought.

Her co-author? the same as La Lucci's!

It made me wonder what else in the book might have been more the co-author than Kim, if in fact there's a connection.

by Anonymousreply 249April 8, 2020 10:24 PM

Maureen G looked good.

I couldn't stay, though. After a while it felt weirdly like I was eavesdropping on their personal conversations.

by Anonymousreply 250April 8, 2020 10:32 PM

Maureen Garrett is a goddess! I'll never forget that party at the Country Club, when she wore a turban and long gloves and looked impossibly regal. I literally gasped. (I know, Mary...)

by Anonymousreply 251April 8, 2020 10:42 PM

Garrett dissed her Nursery Rhyme Stalker storyline with enormous charm.

by Anonymousreply 252April 8, 2020 11:35 PM

[quote]Concerning running time, don't forget that the ABC soaps AMC, OLTL, and GH all expanded from 30 min to 45 min in the mid/late 1970s before expanding to an hour. Did any of the other soaps experiment with a 45min runtime?

R243 GH and OLTL both expanded to 45 minutes in July 1976. It was at that time that the two also flipped time slots. Previously, GH had aired at 3 p.m, while OLTL aired at 3:30 p.m. Once they exapnded, OLTL moved to 2:30 p.m. and GH started at 3:15 p.m.

Since 45 minutes proved successful, both shows expanded to a full hour in Jan 1978.

Meanwhile, Agnes Nixon was very reluctant to go to an hour. She fought to keep AMC at 30 minutes, but finally relented and AMC went to 60 minutes in April 1977. AMC never aired at 45 minutes.

AMC had also done a week-long experiment of hour-long episodes in late June/early July 1975 leading up to the debut of Ryan's Hope. AMC had always aired at 1 p.m., but for that week of hour-long episodes, the show started at 12:30 instead. Then the following week, AMC moved into the 12:30 p.m. time slot and Ryan's Hope debuted in the 1 p.m. time slot.

Bill Bell also fought hard to keep Y&R at 30 minutes. He even threatened to quit the show if CBS expanded it. That worked for a few years, but finally the network announced the show would expand to 60 minutes regardless of whether Bell stayed. As we know, he relented and stay with the show. Y&R was the last show to expand to an hour, doing so in Feb. 1980, with Love of Life being cancelled to make room for the expanded Y&R.

Interestingly, the reason Bill Bell quit as HW of Days in 1975 was because that show expanded to 60 minutes. Prior to that, Bell was doing double duty as HW of both Days and Y&R. Bell objected to the hour-long format and didn't feel he could do 90 minutes worth of shows every day. So, he left Days and concentrated on Y&R. Of course, a decade later, he would indeed end up overseeing 90 minutes worth of show each day when B&B debuted.

Incidentally, in the 60s and 70s, it wasn't unusual for someone to HW two shows simultaneously -- Henry Slesar oversaw both Edge of Night and Somerset in the early 1970s. Agnes Nixon did both AW and GL in the mid 1960s. Then Nixon was HW on AMC and OLTL in the early 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 253April 9, 2020 12:35 AM

R253 Sorry, I thought AMC also went the 45 min route. 45 min just seems like a strange time length for a tv show, but I guess it makes sense since the early soaps were 15 min. And, wasn't Love of Life 25min for a large part of its run, to accommodate a five minute newscast?

by Anonymousreply 254April 9, 2020 12:42 AM

Yes, from fall 1962 until its cancellation, Love of Life was just 25 minutes to accommodate a 5 minute newscast at the end. Not sure why CBS did that but I suspect it had something to do with Love of Life airing at noon, and then later at 11:30 a.m. and people being home for lunch wanting to know the news.

And yes, I agree that 45 minutes was a very odd length for a soap opera. But apparently it worked as the ratings increased with the 45 minute format. I suspect that lapsed GH and OLTL viewers tuned in to see how a 45 minute show would operate and then stuck around because the storylines were really good.

by Anonymousreply 255April 9, 2020 12:55 AM

I remember getting out of school at 2 p.m and I could usually make it home by 2:45 so I could see the last half hour of OLTL when it was 45 minutes. but when it switched to an hour -- and aired from 2 to 3 -- I could only watch from 2:45 to 3.

This was around the time Doug was writing GH. The show skyrocketed! Bobbie's fight to better herself, warding off former john Cal Jamison, who was blackmailing her and he happened to be the guy who knew the scoop on Jeff's son, Steven Lars.

Bobbie went to Dan Rooney who lent her $500 (!!!) to pay off Cal. He said he didn't need it paid back and that he wanted Bobbie to think of her and Dan like family.

We hated Bobbie b/c she made Laura's life miserable, but we cared about her, too.

When Gloria Monty accepted the Emmy for Best Drama for GH at the Emmys, she said "and to two of our cast, who have carried so much of the load, Tony and Genie..." the camera was RIGHT on Jackie. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 256April 9, 2020 1:21 AM

I do agree GL held its own against the GH heyday then just as GH was getting boring, GL was on fire and had plenty of younger players who appealed to a younger audience. Had GL not had the unfortunate slump in 1986, I believe the show would have held its audience far longer and by the time 89-92 happened, the show well could have fought for #1. I know it got as high as #3 for a few weeks, I believe. Of course, I can't prove what I said I just truly believe the show had a strong younger audience following Beth/Phillip/Mindy/Rick/Lujack that left in droves in the slump of 86.

by Anonymousreply 257April 9, 2020 1:50 AM

What I don't understand is why networks/P&G, in an attempt to save the soaps, never tried cutting them back down to thirty minutes and trimming the cast.

by Anonymousreply 258April 9, 2020 1:55 AM

R258 I don't understand why both GL and ATWT didn't both go to 30 minutes in the same block. Well, I know. They wanted out of the soap business and wanted to add a game show and talk show. I'm sure network affiliates would have dropped them more since they likely would not have blocked them together.

by Anonymousreply 259April 9, 2020 2:01 AM

R259, my understanding was also that it wasn’t considered cost effective to produce a 30 minute soap by that point.

by Anonymousreply 260April 9, 2020 2:22 AM

R259 Yes, it would have made sense for CBS/P&G to have made ATWT and GL into an hour block, as it would have made sense for ABC to have done the same for AMC and OLTL. P&G wanting out of the soap business has never made sense to me, they basically created the genre and it sold their products very well. P&G, has to understand this, since they still advertise heavily on Y&R, B&B, DAYS, and GH. They should have kept the shows going and worked out a deal with CBS for more product placement on the shows. It was one of the stupidest business decisions, I have ever heard of. The only decision that was worse was when Gaylord closed the Opryland theme park, even though it was still making money. At least their next CEO admitted it was a stupid decision and that he wouldn't have done it.

Contrary to many assumptions talk shows are not always cheaper to produce than soaps. Katie Couric's show cost between 30 and 40 million a season, while it is estimated that soaps have gotten their budgets to similar if not smaller numbers. I have believe that The Talk can't be very cheap to produce with all the hosts.

by Anonymousreply 261April 9, 2020 2:23 AM

They've scheduled a second ATWT reunion for 4/10. Different cast members.

by Anonymousreply 262April 9, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote]They've scheduled a second ATWT reunion for 4/10. Different cast members.

I must be there. Lucinda, Barbara, (original) Paul, John, and Andrew

by Anonymousreply 263April 9, 2020 3:20 PM

As of now it's going to be Barbara, Henry, Katie, Margo. I assume more will be annouced.

by Anonymousreply 264April 9, 2020 3:46 PM

Katie? Does it HAVE to be Katie?

by Anonymousreply 265April 9, 2020 3:48 PM

This may seem silly but GL had a mystical quality/reputation at least with people I knew. Esp during the GH juggernaut. Many saw it as two titans going at it, battling in the 3pm timeslot. The fact both did so well and dominated was a testament to GL's resilience. GL was also seen as fresh since it had a lot of young characters Tim/Morgan/Kelly and that crew which gave way to Beth/Phillip/Rick/Mindy and that crew. GL had just won two Emmys for Best Show almost back to back. GL was seen as a worthy opponent to GH by viewers. It was respected unlike some other shows.

by Anonymousreply 266April 9, 2020 4:02 PM

Tim didn’t really hang out much with Morgan/Kelly/Nola/Floyd/Hillary/Katie, though. He was gone by the time of their heyday, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 267April 9, 2020 5:48 PM

Spauldingfield, who posts all the character profiles on youtube for GL, is finally doing one for Beth Raines he confirmed on the GL chat. I wonder what took him so long for such an important character to the show?

by Anonymousreply 268April 9, 2020 8:49 PM

Those YT character profiles are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 269April 9, 2020 8:51 PM

They really are. Crappy video and just badly put together.

Kim Zimmer and her son Jake will be on The Locher Room on YT tomorrow at 5 pm. We should bombard the page with questions about Beth Ehlers and also why Kimmer didn’t want her son to play Luke on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 270April 9, 2020 10:42 PM

They really are. Crappy video and just badly put together.

Kim Zimmer and her son Jake will be on The Locher Room on YT tomorrow at 5 pm. We should bombard the page with questions about Beth Ehlers and also why Kimmer didn’t want her son to play Luke on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 271April 9, 2020 10:42 PM

r271 And whether Jake enjoys sex scenes with Spencer Clark.

by Anonymousreply 272April 9, 2020 10:44 PM

R271

I don't believe the unfounded rumor that KZ pulled Jake from playing a gay character. She is extremely proud of his work on Animal Kingdom & they do full out gay scenes.

by Anonymousreply 273April 9, 2020 11:09 PM

r273

I thought she thought he was just too young for that storyline

by Anonymousreply 274April 9, 2020 11:47 PM

Is that Locher guy gay by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 275April 10, 2020 12:17 AM

R275 Yes. He's married. His husband is really cute.

by Anonymousreply 276April 10, 2020 12:18 AM

R274 I think it is much more likely that is the reason, Kim Z has never struck me as homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 277April 10, 2020 1:20 AM

Of course Zimmer was sipping a cocktail during the GL reunion. Lush much?

I was pleasantly surprised that Maureen Garrett participated. She usually runs the other way from anything fan-oriented and really values her privacy, but the remote tech must have been comforting for her (i.e. she knew she wouldn't be mauled by people she doesn't know).

by Anonymousreply 278April 10, 2020 1:33 AM

R278 - finally someone else mentions what I was seeing! Cocktail time, it's 3:00 somewhere in NJ!

by Anonymousreply 279April 10, 2020 1:47 AM

The cocktail was a perfect touch. To be able to sit with Kim one on one and get the tea.........................

by Anonymousreply 280April 10, 2020 1:58 AM

Julie Andrews Daughter (Emma Walton) on As The World Turns playing Barbara cellmate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281April 10, 2020 2:56 AM

R280, I worked in the daytime press and got to do that with Zimmer once. This was after GL ended.

She signed her book to me. We banged out the interview and then proceeded to dine and dish!

It was a highlight of my career and being a lifelong GL fan I was in heaven!

by Anonymousreply 282April 10, 2020 3:04 AM

R261 Most of the budget for Couric's talk show went to her massive salary. I knew it would get cancelled because unless it was super-popular out of the gate, there was no way it could be profitable. And I was right.

by Anonymousreply 283April 10, 2020 3:15 AM

R283 I would imagine that the salaries for the The Talk, while not as high as Couric's, isn't insignificant across all of them.

by Anonymousreply 284April 10, 2020 3:22 AM

I remember reading somewhere that at their highest point soaps would cost 1 million to a million and a half a week to produce five 1-hour shows and the big three (GH, YR, and Days) would pull in about 5/6 million a week in ad revenue. Those same shows now have weekly budgets between $600K - $850K. The budget cuts show up, mostly, in the sets and cast. Those huge sweeping sets are now gone. The extras/atmosphere cast are almost non-existent. Those big events and reveals where the entire casts gets together are so rare now. The actors can't go over their guarantee.

by Anonymousreply 285April 10, 2020 3:41 AM

R285 It depends on the soap, the budget cuts at Y&R really shows up in the sets, but I don't notice it on GH, which still manages to have a greater variety of sets. And, both of them have managed to have more extras lately, in the hotel and coffeehouse on Y&R and the Hospital, Metrocourt, and Kelly's on GH.

by Anonymousreply 286April 10, 2020 3:48 AM

I was with my Aunt Bev (she played Pat on Another World). She is doing fine. This past Christmas I gifted her 2 albums with photos and press clippings (thanks eBay!). Anyway, the only things she has left from her soap days are three tapes of episodes from the 70’s. Very interesting tapes and the actors are all good. She recently had lunch with Susan Sullivan and they reminisced about the old days. Just thought I would fill you all in...

by Anonymousreply 287April 10, 2020 3:50 AM

I was a Daytime Emmy panelist for many years and I never had as much fun as when I was judging Outstanding Game Show Host and during the Jeopardy! tape Kim Zimmer and I called out answers... I mean questions. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 288April 10, 2020 3:54 AM

R287 You should get your Aunt Bev to let you upload those tapes onto YouTube!

by Anonymousreply 289April 10, 2020 3:55 AM

Why didn’t your Aunt Bev do another contract role on a soap?? She was so beautiful and charismatic. And all of the shows added Alexis Carrington types in 1983/84, it could have been fun to see her as a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 290April 10, 2020 4:28 AM

Good to see you back Beverly Penberthy's nephew!! Don't be such a stranger on these Marvelous Midwestern threads!!!

And yes, please get Aunt Bev to upload the videos to YouTube so we can all enjoy them. 1970s episodes of AW are so very rare.

by Anonymousreply 291April 10, 2020 9:04 AM

That Zoom video with the people from GL on Wednesday was a nice respite from all the horror going on right now. It was really enjoyable checking in with "old friends", and the host wasn't too intrusive, although one time he brought up that some series was being rebooted and it was totally irrelevant to the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 292April 10, 2020 1:46 PM

I noticed that, too, R292. Like, who gives a fuck about a reboot of Designing Women? It will no doubt be as bad as the new Murphy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 293April 10, 2020 2:21 PM

R292 R293 Having not watched the reunion yet, I guess the DW reboot was brought up because Kim Zimmer guest starred in one of the best and most well remembered episodes.

by Anonymousreply 294April 10, 2020 2:41 PM

Yes, Kim told a story about her DW episode, including the fact that it was partly about getting Dixie Carter's approval to allow Kim to co-star with Hal Holbrook in a potential spin-off series. Also, she said Delta Burke was very nice to her, though Delta and the rest of the cast stayed far apart.

by Anonymousreply 295April 10, 2020 2:50 PM

Guiding Light still holds the record as the longest running serial (1937-2009). In 2022 it will be eclipsed by British radio drama the Archers, which started in 1950.

by Anonymousreply 296April 10, 2020 2:55 PM

R296 But, GL will still hold the record for hours produced, because The Archers sill only runs around 15 min, but GL expanded to 30 min and then an hour(on tv).

by Anonymousreply 297April 10, 2020 3:09 PM

I’m curious if anyone knows who the actress was that Pam Long wanted to play Reva. Zimmer said in the Zoom chat she was not Long’s first choice and that Long wanted to cast a friend of hers. She did not say who that actress was.

by Anonymousreply 298April 10, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote] Kim Zimmer and her son Jake will be on The Locher Room on YT tomorrow at 5 pm. We should bombard the page with questions about Beth Ehlers and also why Kimmer didn’t want her son to play Luke on ATWT.

Shit like this is what will spoil it for the rest of us and remind them that soap fans are fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 299April 10, 2020 3:20 PM

[quote] Yes, Kim told a story about her DW episode, including the fact that it was partly about getting Dixie Carter's approval to allow Kim to co-star with Hal Holbrook in a potential spin-off series. Also, she said Delta Burke was very nice to her, though Delta and the rest of the cast stayed far apart.

Kim never finished the story though. She said it was a test to see if there was a future for her on the spinoff show but never said what eventually happened. I guess she didn't pass the test?

by Anonymousreply 300April 10, 2020 3:28 PM

I've always thought it was crazy Kim Z didn't get nominated for a Guest Actress Primetime Emmy, for that episode. I guess it was because of prejudice against daytime performers.

by Anonymousreply 301April 10, 2020 4:00 PM

R284 Couric made $10 million her first year, but she had to take a pay cut the second year her talk show was on to $6 million. Sharon Osborne reportedly makes $1 million a year for The Talk. No idea what the rest make.

by Anonymousreply 302April 10, 2020 4:29 PM

New Time! New Length! I love VW's hair.

Who was the ruthless new man? How did it ignite an explosive clash between brothers?

Was it Willis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303April 10, 2020 5:09 PM

The thirst for wealth leading Rachel to a ruthless man was referring to Mac.

The clash of brothers was Steve Frame vs. Willis Frame, who had joined the show around the time of the expansion to an hour.

by Anonymousreply 304April 10, 2020 5:23 PM

I thought originally that the woman who had played Reena on Texas was the inspiration for Reva.

by Anonymousreply 305April 10, 2020 5:26 PM

If interested, please check in on this soap thread asking you what soap character you'd be......just a bit of fun, kittens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 10, 2020 5:33 PM

Was it from someone on Texas? Maybe Lisby Larson?

by Anonymousreply 307April 10, 2020 5:35 PM

R307 It was the woman that played Reena, Carla Borelli.

by Anonymousreply 308April 10, 2020 5:37 PM

Reena Bellman Cook Dekker from Texas was the obvious inspiration for Reva Shayne. That's a given since Pam Long got her start as an actress on Texas. She played Ashley Lindon, whose arch nemesis was Reena Dekker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 10, 2020 5:46 PM

The character of Billy Lewis was inspired by the Texas character of Justin Marshall, who was Ashley's husband. Jerry Lanning played Justin and was Pam Long's first choice to play Billy Lewis. However, CBS wouldn't let her cast Jerry Lanning since they'd already brought in too many actors from Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310April 10, 2020 5:48 PM

If you want to see Pam Long's first appearance as Ashley Linden on Texas from March 1981, go to 5:15 in the video below. Don't worry, Pam improved a lot as an actress during the year and a half she was on the show.

The video below also has scenes of Iris as well as Vivian, Iris's maid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311April 10, 2020 6:01 PM

I know there's a nice scene out there with Bev's Iris and Pam's Ashley, near the end of Bev's run on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 312April 10, 2020 6:06 PM

Is the sound horrible for everyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 10, 2020 6:12 PM

Verbal catfight between Iris and Reena Dekker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 10, 2020 6:36 PM

R305, I don't think other than the similar sounding names there was any big connection between Reena and Reva.

Jay Hammer pointed out in Schemering's GL book that Reena came from privilege and wealth; Reva was poor.

Her mother was the Lewis' maid! And she slept her way out the slums and into the mansion. She even snagged the old man. But she learned a thing or two about dignity back there.

by Anonymousreply 315April 10, 2020 9:35 PM

We've been Murieled, girls, but here's the new one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316April 10, 2020 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!