Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ELDERGAYS: Tell me about Donna Love Hudson

Was she a snooty rich bitch or a sex kitten. I've heard her described both ways. Tell me your opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 5, 2020 1:49 PM

Here's another photo of her. Looks nothing like the first. Almost like she's two different people. What gives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 18, 2020 12:30 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 2January 18, 2020 12:30 AM

I gave my life so she could live!

by Anonymousreply 3January 18, 2020 12:31 AM

Thanks, Matthew.

by Anonymousreply 4January 18, 2020 12:32 AM

Anne Heche Emmy Reel (where she won the Emmy) the first episode on her reel is a knock down fight between Vicky & Donna

Vicky confronts Donna about her one-night stand with Jake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 18, 2020 12:34 AM

She's my sister. Mother. Sister. Mother. Sister. Mother.

by Anonymousreply 6January 18, 2020 12:34 AM

Donna with her baby daddy. She fell in love with him and became pregnant with his child when he was a stable boy.

As one does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 18, 2020 12:52 AM

Didn't someone impersonate Donna's stable boy lover Michael at one point?

I seem to remember someone named Michael Garrison pretending to be Donna's baby daddy for a few weeks/months prior the real Michael Hudson appearing, in the form of Kale Browne.

by Anonymousreply 8January 18, 2020 1:27 AM

Ah, Bella! I was her first husband, but for whatever reason she doesn't mention that very often.

by Anonymousreply 9January 18, 2020 1:32 AM

Philece gives an update to Buzzradio. The largest segment of the interview is about her role as Renée DuMonde (DiMera) on Days of Our Lives. She also mentions Another World briefly and that she and Anne Heche got to play mother and daughter once again in a recent voice-over project.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 18, 2020 3:04 AM

I love Donna Love Hudson pausing at 4:53 to check her hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 18, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote] I seem to remember someone named Michael Garrison pretending to be Donna's baby daddy for a few weeks/months prior the real Michael Hudson appearing, in the form of Kale Browne.

Donna hired someone to pretend to be Michael Garrison, because she was too embarrassed to admit that her lover was a stable boy - so she made up this persona.

by Anonymousreply 12January 18, 2020 3:06 AM

Very funny, R2.

by Anonymousreply 13January 18, 2020 3:09 AM

I meant R1, not R2.

by Anonymousreply 14January 18, 2020 3:11 AM

The show never explained Donna & Carl's marriage, did it? He just arrived one day as her ex, and no background was ever really given?

by Anonymousreply 15January 18, 2020 10:30 AM

What's the chanced of Peacock TV adding Another World and Santa Barbara to its line up? They're adding DAYS.

by Anonymousreply 16January 18, 2020 12:48 PM

I'd say unlikely, as it doesn't sound as if it's a dedicated retro station. But Ken Corday mentions there could be packages of "Classic Days" shown. I was surprised to read that current Days is the most popular streaming show on the entire NBC website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 18, 2020 1:23 PM

Oh my. Jonny, Jerry, Eboneece, and Donna have taken their act to the Y&R soapcentral (SOC) boards. They are now telling those people that spoileralert: Kay Chancellor is returning. Apparently Esther has been keeping her on ice in the Chancellor basement.

Those crazy kids! I hear they will be prowling at their old SON stomping grounds for February Sweeps and they have made a grand alliance with a long time regular poster over there. Just who is it you might ask? Well, I guess you will have to keep your eye on SON.

by Anonymousreply 18January 18, 2020 6:19 PM

I find it fascinating how James Earl Jones and Cicely Tyson were replaced by Billy Dee Williams and Rudy Dee (is that the order) on GL. Wow. Was it controversial GL used black actors in the mid-60's as doctors?

by Anonymousreply 19January 18, 2020 8:31 PM

I just ran across Reva:The Scarlet Years on Youtube. The scenes chosen are really excellent especially during the Cat on a Hot Tin Roof story . That's what Robert Newman called it in the video.

It's been so long can someone refresh my memory? Why did Reva marry HB when she desperately loved Josh and why would HB marry her knowing how hurtful it would be to his son.

The video says it's an hour & a half but it's really only 45 minutes. I would kill for a sequel for all the story that followed her driving off the bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 18, 2020 8:53 PM

Darlings, I'm back.

I'm almost flattered that you're talking about me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 19, 2020 4:22 AM

From the previous thread, re Phillip and Beth

[quote] I know some have said his behavior towards Beth bordered on psychotic

Well, there was the whole thing where he was going to, y'know, kill Lujack and ended up blinding Beth instead. (A piece of history that was mostly glossed over, except for around the time Grant was written off in 2004.)

by Anonymousreply 22January 19, 2020 4:23 AM

I’ve always been low key shocked that Linda Dano never rose to the status of top 10 DL icon.

Why the f not??

by Anonymousreply 23January 19, 2020 5:03 AM

Felicia would never have used "low key" as an adverb.

by Anonymousreply 24January 19, 2020 5:49 AM

[R11] I miss hearing, "The role of______, is now being played by______".

by Anonymousreply 25January 19, 2020 8:07 AM

Would love classic SB and AW tor return!

by Anonymousreply 26January 19, 2020 12:57 PM

The role of Jonny at SON is now being played by Jerry, Eboneece, and AuntieSheila,

by Anonymousreply 27January 19, 2020 3:40 PM

R22 I don't remember what was said. How did they bring it up?

by Anonymousreply 28January 19, 2020 9:03 PM

R11 That was SO perfect. She was able to refocus Donna, bring her back to who she was and what she needed to be, with ONE gesture.

by Anonymousreply 29January 19, 2020 9:34 PM

Donna Love Hudson is now Mrs. James Cromwell

by Anonymousreply 30January 19, 2020 9:36 PM

Yes, darling, we know. We love Anna here.

by Anonymousreply 31January 19, 2020 9:37 PM

Anna Banana, darling R31!

by Anonymousreply 32January 19, 2020 9:41 PM

Precisely R32!!

by Anonymousreply 33January 19, 2020 9:42 PM

I liked Cass. He was funny.

by Anonymousreply 34January 19, 2020 9:47 PM

I really loved Nancy Frangione's Cecile. She was comic gold but so often was misused as a character.

by Anonymousreply 35January 20, 2020 4:06 AM

Can anyone refresh my memory as to why Reva married HB when she was in love with Josh and why HB married her knowing how much his son loved her?

by Anonymousreply 36January 20, 2020 6:48 AM

R36 From Soap Central. I didn't remember that Reva and Billy had been married, or married so long, before she and Josh first got together, but the rest of this sounds right.

Reva Shayne, the oldest daughter of Hawk and Sarah Shayne, grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. As the daughter of the Lewis' housekeeper, Reva always felt like trash compared to the wealthy Lewis family. Though she and Josh Lewis were childhood sweethearts, they broke up when Josh went off to college, and she later married his brother, Billy, to get back at Josh. She and Billy stayed married for eight years.

Reva arrived in Springfield in 1983 when Alan offered her $25,000 to break up Billy's engagement to Vanessa Chamberlain. So Reva showed up with the news that she and Billy weren't officially divorced, and demanded $5 million. However, when Billy found the divorce papers, Reva realized she was cornered and gave Alan his money back.

In 1984, when Alan attacked the Lewis family, Billy talked Reva into convincing Josh to merge LTA and Lewis Oil so that they could combine power to destroy Spaulding Enterprises. It didn't take long for Reva and Josh to rekindle their passion when they returned to Cross Creek, where they had made love for the first time. Though they planned to wed, before they could make it official, Josh learned from Anita about Reva's cooperation with Alan, and bitterly left her. His father, H.B. was relieved at first, and decided to further drive Reva away from Josh by bribing Reva into marrying him.

When Josh learned about the marriage, he was so disgusted, he went for a wild drive and crashed his car, which left him paralyzed from the waist down. He had surgery and was disheartened by the long road of physical therapy that lay ahead. While at a party at the Country Club, a drunken Phillip Spaulding was coming on to Reva. Josh thought the worst of Reva and accused her of making a play for another man. It was then, while he was wheelchair-bound, that he and Reva had the showdown to end all showdowns ... culminating in her stripping off her clothes, diving into a fountain, and baptizing herself "The Slut of Springfield."

After months of sexual tension...one rainy night, Reva climbed into Josh's bed when H.B. was not around and they made love. Later that night Billy found them and pulled her out of bed. Feeling like a loser, the scarlet woman hightailed it back home to Tulsa. While Reva was gone, Josh regained the use of his legs and tracked Reva down and begged her to run away with him. Just then, they heard from Josh's sister, Trish, that a heartsick H.B. was in failing health. The lovers returned home and gave H.B. the will to live. Shortly after, Reva discovered she was pregnant with H.B.'s baby. A heartbroken, Josh sadly told her to take good care of his "daddy" and left to work on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

(This was when Robert Newman left, and Reva was paired with Kyle.)

by Anonymousreply 37January 20, 2020 11:00 PM

This actor just died, according to Variety.

He was on AW and the Doctors but I don't remember him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 20, 2020 11:02 PM

R38, he was a very reliable character actor, always played lawyers, businessmen, etc. I don’t think he ever had a contract role on a soap. He probably didn’t want one, he had a decent career in the theater, too.

by Anonymousreply 39January 20, 2020 11:45 PM

On January 19, 2010, my last favorite P&G character was introduced on ATWT: Dr. Reid Oliver. I admit I didn't pay much attention to him at the time because I thought he would only be on for a few episodes. I am so glad I was wrong.

Part 1 (sorry that there are 2; I couldn't find only one for Jan. 19). This is the best quality I could find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 21, 2020 6:03 AM

Dr. Oliver's introduction on ATWT: Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 21, 2020 6:05 AM

I was so pissed ATWT killed off Reid. I wanted Reid & Luke to be end game.

by Anonymousreply 42January 21, 2020 11:38 AM

I always thought it was funny that Sam Rappaport was originated on "One Life to Live" by Kale Browne and later on, he was replaced by his former "Another World" son-in-law, Kale Browne.

Also, Anna Stuart replaced Linda Dano for one episode as "Gretel" Rae Cummings for a few scenes that any B lister could have done or any day player. She was wasted for meatless material. That year (2002), Anna appeared on "As the World Turns" (as Donna, wrapping up Jake's story), "OLTL" and "All My Children" as Mary Smythe, reunited with Mark Pinter (ex-Grant, Roger Smythe). The highlight of her first week on the show was trying to integrate herself with the institutionalized Vanessa Bennett (fellow daytime diva Marj Dusay) and looked on in horror as Vanessa revealed her attempt on daughter Greenlee's life.

Later on, they attempted to pair Mary with Palmer Cortlandt and they had some great scenes, but it was obvious that James Mitchell wasn't going to be able to continue on the show and Mary faded out until they brought her back for a few episodes in 2009. I'm currently enjoying her in re-runs of "The Doctors", having found episodes of her stint as Toni Ferra Powers, fortunately grabbing them off the web before the site was taken down.

Here's some "Anna Banana" on "GH" in 1977 as Dr. Gina Dante, appearing within the first 2 minutes and later on about 9 1/2 minutes in. Tracking isn't great, but it's the only Anna/GH out there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 21, 2020 12:30 PM

[quote]I always thought it was funny that Sam Rappaport was originated on "One Life to Live" by Kale Browne and later on, he was replaced by his former "Another World" son-in-law, Lawrence Lau.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 44January 21, 2020 12:36 PM

There is a lot of non P&G talk in here.

by Anonymousreply 45January 21, 2020 9:24 PM

R45 Bish, where?

There's two posts that mention other soaps in passing that had to do with earlier conversations about P&G actors or shows.

Also, no one named you hall monitor. Our dear Aunt Liz would have that role, if anyone would.

by Anonymousreply 46January 21, 2020 9:29 PM

Anna Banana and her best pal Geri Court coincidentally both played a character named Mary on AMC. Anna Banana played Mary Smythe and Geri played Mary Georgia (Bob Georgia’s mother).

Back to P&G shows-I wonder if GL ever thought of bringing India’s mother on to the show. I know she supposedly had died but, you know.

by Anonymousreply 47January 21, 2020 10:30 PM

There is a lot of talk about how much change GL went through in the 80's. Some very good but some very bad. There were a lot of firings that were controversial. Many blame Pam Long but I think the network is more to blame. CBS seemed freaked they got their GL back in the thick of things (it really never waned for long) but instead of being happy it was briefly #1 in 84 and holding steady in the top 3 or 4 they forced the show to veer off in directions many older viewers did not like. It seems to never recover from its 86-87 slump when is was painful to watch. It then clawed its way back in 92 only to have devastating cast departures followed by horrible recasts.

by Anonymousreply 48January 21, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] Many blame Pam Long but I think the network is more to blame.

CBS wanted the Bauers completely gone. They did diminish in number, but it's to the credit of Long and Gail Kobe that they understood the family couldn't disappear entirely.

by Anonymousreply 49January 22, 2020 2:23 AM

It really angers me how network interference ruined GL. Both GL ad ATWT were fucking powerhouses through the 70s though GL dipped a bit for a short time.

by Anonymousreply 50January 22, 2020 3:08 AM

Now it's the lack of network interference that's ruining them. They're letting social media do their dirty work. Frequent commenters on the soap blogs are merciless, and slightly unhinged.

But back to topic: Donna Love and Matt Cory gave me life, and set the stage for Dorian and Joey on OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2020 4:13 PM

Found this information on the "Cancelled Soap Board" for "The Doctors". Several Proctor & Gamble actors will be interviewed including a former "Donna Love".

Posted January 13 Update from the Retro rep. She also said she would be interviewing the following actors today for the behind-the-scenes material and promos:

Jada Rowland, Liz Hubbard, Kim Zimmer, Jennifer Houlton, Richard Niles, Anna Stuart, Marie Foster, Thor Fields, Count Stovall, Eileen Kearney, Brian McKeon and Patricia Hayling.

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2020 5:58 PM

I also love Matthewcand Donna's relationship. It should have played out for several years with her pushing him towards Josie because of the age difference. Matt and Josie could have had a baby. Donna could have gone back to Michael, knowing that her heart was with Matthew. It would have been great.

A agre that Cecile was often written poorly. She was one of daytime's best characters and very well,played by Nancy.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2020 6:15 PM

What was with the rag doll and kitten and that Cecile and Alma were trying to terrify Blaine (?) with in 1982? And what happened to Alma?

by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote] I also love Matthew and Donna's relationship. It should have played out for several years with her pushing him towards Josie because of the age difference. Matt and Josie could have had a baby. Donna could have gone back to Michael, knowing that her heart was with Matthew. It would have been great.

This is the thing that really killed AW from the mid 80s on (and repeated to a degree with GL and ATWT): the writers and/or EPs changed SO often that you never saw a through line. What you describe would have been great, but from around 1993 on, the definitions of some of those relationships changed with every writer, producer, or P&G/NBC suit who figured they had THE way to save the show.

by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2020 6:40 PM

I remember Alma!

My mom said "That woman is so evil, she makes Iris look like an Avon lady!" (Iris was gone by then, I think, but that was the yardstick for evil bitches!)

by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2020 10:48 PM

Did anybody post on SoapCity back in the day? There was a huge scandal somebody uncovered about admin (at least for the GL part) in the tank for certain couples (Pharley-ugh- was one of them). They would go after posters who didn't like those couples. A few of them were fired when one of the admins gave up the game when someone called them out in messages. Diane (I think) stepped in and fired a few of the admin when she saw the bias was very real. SuperSage (?) a poster, was the ring leader. He even left the site, made up an alternative site which died quickly, because he was in a tizzy. To watch it all unfold was better than the show at the time.

by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2020 10:53 PM

LOL R57. I miss the pre-social media internet. Message board drama was the best.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote] Did anybody post on SoapCity back in the day

No, but I remember the GL Buzz board, which was circa early 2000s.

I also remember chatting about P&G shows on AOL back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2020 11:06 PM

R59 All of that was when I knew the internet was not going to make the world better. It brought out the crazy in everybody.

by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2020 11:09 PM

It did. I found it a bit amusing at the time.

Now I recoil at that sort of drama. And I loathe when those few people come on here with some news of some drama on Twitter or a soap board.

I want to hear about the performers. I'm not above some good gossip about them and of course would never say no to a dick pic of some of them! But I have less than no interest in what Snarly Fan #3 On The Left has to say about any one, or anything.

by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2020 11:59 PM

R52

I don't get Retro TV but I am positively giddy to see all those actresses interviewed

Where is this "Cancelled Soap Board" that you mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2020 12:00 AM

who remembers RoseBud1 who always posted on Media Domain about the machinations of TPTB, Corp. non stop on every post for years on end about P&G soaps?

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]Also, no one named you hall monitor. Our dear Aunt Liz would have that role, if anyone would.

While I do love to tattle on people and share the good gossip I overhear about people, I have no desire to play hall monitor on this thread. And I hope I don't have to take that role since it would interfere with my eavesdropping.

That said, this is a HAPPY thread. We DION'T get into flame wars on these P&G threads. We're here to share our memories of our beloved P&G soaps. It's OK to disagree, but do it respectfully. This P&G community is a small but loyal one, so it's best to keep on good terms with all its residents. Please remember to treat others the way you want them to treat you.

It's OK to occasionally mention a non P&G soap here especially if it ties into a point you're trying to make. But if you want to have a long discussion of another soap, there are other threads for that. If you're unsure where the current thread for a particular soap is, just ask and someone will post the link.

If you need to engage in a flame war, there are hundreds of other DL threads that quickly devolve into name-calling, race-baiting and political arguments. Please take your flame wars there. Those threads are much more appropriate places if you've had a bad day and want to take your mood out on someone else.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 7:25 AM

Cecil didn't like that Blaine witch. Neither did I.

I was happy to make her go crazy. She deserved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 11:20 AM

Fun fact: Elizabeth Franz played Alma Rudder on AW. She left the part shortly after the opening of Brighton Beach Memoirs on Broadway. She played Kate Jerome, the mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 11:28 AM

R57 Yahoo also had soap boards back in the early 2000's and pages devoted to certain actors. I created one for one of my favorite old short lived soaps and the back-biting became so unnecessarily hateful after a short period of time that I deleted it without warning anybody. I made sure a few weeks before I did it that any way of contacting me was gone. One of the culprits had uploaded a ton of photos, but they were so vile in their attacks on others that I just didn't want to be a part of such an evil tool anymore.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 12:21 PM

I'm remembering Matt Crane's unfortunate ponytail period, which coincided with the Matt/Donna storyline. I even LIKE long hair, but just...no, honey.

Keating was the only member of that cast who could pull off the mid 90s ponytail.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 12:32 PM

Why did they break Matt and Josie up?

Why did they replace / fire / whatever Alexandra Wilson? I thought she was the perfect Josie. Gary Sinclair's Josie could never have been Matthew's Josie.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 12:34 PM

Ah, Gary Sinclair.

I always wanted to bounce on THAT.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 3:59 PM

I also remember the Google boards. RATS? or RATSC? Or something like that.

Those were mostly sane and often the places I would find out some real scoop or some more academic sorts of things about various shows.

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2020 4:01 PM

I don't do soaps, never did.

by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2020 4:03 PM

R72 This thread is all about them, so perhaps another thread would be more to your liking.

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2020 4:05 PM

r72, the google boards were the next phase of usenet. I remember some cool people (DonnaB, Shirl, Mark, Cheri, a cousin of Linda Ronstadt's) and a couple of, well, less cool people. I wonder what happened to some of them.

DonnaB drove me crazy at times because she was spoiler-positive. I was sure she was Mimi Torchin IRL. Shirl was more conservative than I, especially over immigration, but she lives in AZ, so her perspective is bound to be different from mine in Western PA. Cheri I talked to about cooking, mostly. And Linda's cousin, well...

Mark was an interesting guy. He was the first to leave the group. Is any of you Mark?

by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2020 4:11 PM

R74 is directed at ORD r71, not r72.

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2020 4:12 PM

Are you Mark r74?

by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2020 4:17 PM

r76 Nope.

by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 4:18 PM

R74 Donna B is Donna Bridges. If you thought she was Mimi you had it sort of right. Donna is the longtime partner (and maybe wife now, not sure) of Melissa Scardaville, who at the time was a Digest writer. Donna appeared on some boards as Shallotpeel and sometimes was a bit of a shit stirrer, but I think she often had inside intel from Melissa and so she could stake a particular claim with more confidence than those of us just swimming around the fishbowl, so to speak.

I wonder if Mark is the same Mark that showed up on a lot of soap sites and was very interested in ratings data, he'd always post about ratings trends.

by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2020 4:19 PM

R74 and R71 I was a regular on usenet's rec.arts.tv.soaps.misc, which was the ghetto where one had to go in order to discuss AW. All (or most) the other soaps had their own usenet groups.

by Anonymousreply 79January 23, 2020 4:23 PM

I don't recall Mark being obsessed with ratings data, but I may simply have skipped over it if he was. Usenet is the only place I ever encountered him. He was Mark with a last initial, IIRC, but I don't remember the initial. He was gay.

This was on the RATSC board, rec-arts-tv-soaps-cbs. Most of them were Y&R fans who didn't watch ATWT or GL. There was another guy named Michael who lived in Northern Virginia, I believe, who was a big WT/GL fan. He and I would rage against Mickey Against Daytime Drama when it was still the thing to do. If ruining TV shows for their fans turns out to be something God hates you for, that woman is never going to get out of hell.

Michael had a cute name, but I don't remember it. It was two words, I think.

by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2020 4:26 PM

Ah, I remember that term, MADD, showing up often on the boards.

R80 I do think it may be the same Mark. MarkH if I remember right (but could be wrong).

by Anonymousreply 81January 23, 2020 4:29 PM

Yes, r81. It was MarkH. No space.

by Anonymousreply 82January 23, 2020 4:35 PM

It's sad where things are today with online spaces and places to discuss shows. Of course the four remaining shows are virtually unwatchable.

But I miss the early days and some of the people who wrote about the shows. There was a blog, Snark Weighs In, that was especially insightful about the P&G shows, maybe specifically GL if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]Ah, I remember that term, MADD, showing up often on the boards.

Those were Mary Ann Dwyer Dobbin's initials. I repurposed them to stand for "Mickey Against Daytime Drama."

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2020 4:43 PM

[quote]Those were Mary Ann Dwyer Dobbin's initials.

Mary ALICE Dwyer-Dobbin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 23, 2020 4:47 PM

Thanks, Aunt Liz.

What WOULD we do without you?

by Anonymousreply 86January 23, 2020 4:48 PM

Indeed, r73. I only clicked on it to find out who Donna Love Hudson was. I didn't do the night time soaps either. No judgement, they certainly have their audience.

by Anonymousreply 87January 23, 2020 4:52 PM

I was involved in AOL chatroom fandom in the late 90s and wrote a review column that ran in a series of websites around that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 23, 2020 4:54 PM

Incidentally, if you want to know when P&G soaps really started going downhill, it was in 1994. That was when Edward Trach retired. He was the P&G executive in charge of production. And he reportedly LOVED soaps and carefully nurtured them. He had a strong vision for his shows and keen instincts for what the audience wanted.

Those who replaced him did not have the same understanding or love of soaps that Trach had. All three P&G soaps suffered greatly in 1994. In my opinion, that was the beginning of the end for P&G soaps.

Kenneth Fitts initially replaced Trach for a couple of years starting in 1994. But he did such a poor job, P&G hired Mary Alice Dwyer-Dobbin away from ABC Daytime to head up P&G. And we all know how well MADD did in the job.

by Anonymousreply 89January 23, 2020 5:05 PM

I agree MADD sucked. But I think when they eliminated her role in 2004-2005 that just expedited the end of the two remaining shows.

But yes, Aunt Liz, 1993 and 1994 was the year a lot of things changed and not for the good. I think both CBS and NBC had changes in leadership that year and like many mergers, the focus was on the bottom line.

1993 was the year that GL was shifted to mornings in a lot of markets - it's so weird that it happened literally as it was coming off one of its best years ever. That's when cancellation rumors started.

And 1993-94 was when changes started happening really rapid fire at AW, too. Look at the Wikipedia page for AW and scroll near the bottom for the listings of writers and EPs. There were so many changes between Nov. 1994 and the end.

by Anonymousreply 90January 23, 2020 5:19 PM

Can any of our NYC Eldergays tell me whether the old AW studio building in Brooklyn is still standing, or has it fallen to gentrification?

by Anonymousreply 91January 23, 2020 5:49 PM

I was on Usenet a little but MediaDomain was more my jam.

by Anonymousreply 92January 23, 2020 5:52 PM

March 6, 1993, Douglas Marland died. That was the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 93January 23, 2020 5:54 PM

[quote] Can any of our NYC Eldergays tell me whether the old AW studio building in Brooklyn is still standing, or has it fallen to gentrification?

Ooh! I'm not in NYC but I know this answer! See this Wikipedia article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 23, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote] I was on Usenet a little but MediaDomain was more my jam.

I don't think I was ever there, but remember people seemed to either love it or hate it.

by Anonymousreply 95January 23, 2020 11:28 PM

The only place I ever discussed soaps were here. I remember when the soap talk first started here after a Daytime Emmys season. It was glorious with lots of insiders.

Gossip Girl worked for one of the soap magazines. HemmerHummer was a big mucky muck who worked higher up in the network. I would love to hear from them again.

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2020 4:37 AM

The soap discussions were what really pulled me into DL when I stumbled upon the site in 2003.

Back in those days, there was just one giant thread for all the soaps. With nine soaps still on and only one thread, we filled it in 2 to 3 weeks. But lots of insider stuff shared in those threads. Several of the soap script writers posted routinely. In those days, we also didn't have to hide the thread name. It would be something blatant like "April Soap Discussion Thread."

Unfortunately, because there was so much insider stuff, a lot of bloggers kept linking those soap threads, which brought in the many non-gay posters. As much as we complained to the bloggers about posting links to those threads, they would merely say they were doing their job by linking in the source of the information they were reporting. And as more outsiders kept coming, fewer insiders posted here.

I remember GossipGrrl well. Became good friends with her. Wish she was still posting here. Also remember HemmerHummer. There was also Jeffhamlin and denny. And a much missed Gregoriz (or something like that) who was from Cincinnati and had lots of P&G information.

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2020 5:49 AM

PS I can't tell you how wonderful it was to discuss soaps with other gay fans on these DL soap threads. Finally there were people who shared a gay perspective on soaps! It was so refreshing!

None of my friends were into soaps like I was. They might watch a few soaps, but weren't hardcore like I was. So, it wasn't until I got here that I could have those hardcore discussions with other hardcore fans. That was so important to me.

Even better, those fellow hardcore fans were gay too! Great to be able to talk about how hunky various actors were. Or who was gay IRL. Or how other gay aspects were influencing what we were seeing on screen.

But the fact this entire site was for gays was so vital. So refreshing to have a messageboard to call our own!! A place to talk about things from a gay perspective! That's why a lot of us oldtimers on DL are so fiercely protective of the site and don't like when the "fraus" invade.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2020 6:02 AM

And now we get bullied by Muriel, and our threads put behind paywalls, while she allows 20 or 50 threads at a time about Trump and Meghan Markle.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2020 6:14 AM

Jefhamlin was and is me.

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2020 11:52 AM

Lol r88. I was on that board a little but those bitches were too cliquey for me.

by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2020 11:54 AM

There was also a GH insider named Best Boy. He had so much dirt. I would have bet a month's salary he was Billy Warlock.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2020 11:55 AM

Hi JeffHamlin! If I remember right I've seen your comments on other boards/sites too.

Wasn't Jeff Hamlin an ATWT character?

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2020 12:49 PM

Yes, I took the name from a short-run character on ATWT for an old AOL alias. He was Dani Andropoulos's teacher and briefly dated Emily...sometime around 1994-1995. They named the character after someone who worked on the show named Jef-Spencer Hira. (One F.) I think the only other place I used the name would have been for the Soap Opera Digest synopses I used to do for their website back in the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2020 6:54 PM

I thought Jef Hamlin was Penny's lover. What was his name?

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2020 8:35 PM

That's Jeff Baker.

by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2020 8:56 PM

What good insider scoop did they give about GL?

The fact they had Lujack's twin on the show and missed having him interact with Beth is mind blowing. I realize the actors did not overlap but they should have begged VI to join, if even for a year, for this story to happen. And they never had Beth once comment on it.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2020 10:16 PM

R107 We have discussed that before and it is SO mystifying they did that. Especially when Grant and Beth C came back to the canvas not long after VI left - with Grant it was SO close that they could have had at least one or two scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2020 10:24 PM

JefHamlin - was Diva von Dish a particular writer, or was that just a generic nom de plume at Digest?

I always figured when Connie P started using the name Marlena DeLacroix that Diva had been the inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2020 10:25 PM

Interesting, Digest just posted this old interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2020 12:54 AM

What about Ivana Kipling? Talk about an egregious omission. She actually posted the spoiler about Reid being killed off on ATWT prompting enough outrage to make Chris Goutman a very miserable EP those final months.

by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2020 1:36 AM

Kinda not the right thread for this, but a step in the right direction. According to Twitter both Passions and Sunset Beach will be on the NBC Streaming Service Peacock. No word about Santa Barbara. The Doctors is on Retro. Dark Shadows is on Hulu and Amazon Prime. So hopefully it will only be a matter of time before the PG soaps end up on a streaming service somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2020 1:43 AM

I get why they don’t want to make past episodes of current series available. They want us to stay current.

But why wouldn’t Procter and gamble license their programming if they could?

Seems like there has to be a reason no streaming service has picked these up if they could (?). Is it cost prohibitive because of residual fees to music or something?

by Anonymousreply 113January 25, 2020 2:57 AM

Didn't Ivana/Ivan Kipling the poster die in a car accident?

by Anonymousreply 114January 25, 2020 3:57 AM

What about the midget who dated Rose?

He hung out with Cass & Felicia.

by Anonymousreply 115January 25, 2020 5:34 AM

Back in the day I was a member of a board where the owner (I think was Trixie? Was it Trixie's Corner or was that something else) would give us tons of blind items. She would even charge for specials. The funny thing is the BI were super fun but we never got to ever verify if they were even true. Even comings and goings ones were fuzzy enough that she could claim vindication on pretty much anything. Nevertheless I have always wanted someone to revisit old behind-the-scenes Blind Items and out them - fifteen-twenty years later, there is prescription, right?

It always amused me that it is taken at face value by mainstream press that the OJ trial was the beginning of the decline for soaps. It certainly hurt and pointed to larger shifts in television landscape but quite clear that many of the shows that later died (AW and GL as mentioned above) had started leaking a few years earlier than that. OJ trial was a convenient spin for executives who f***ed things up.

by Anonymousreply 116January 25, 2020 6:54 AM

It always amused me that it is taken at face value by mainstream press that the OJ trial was the beginning of the decline for soaps. It certainly hurt and pointed to larger shifts in television landscape but quite clear that many of the shows that later died (AW and GL as mentioned above) had started seriously going on a downward spiral a few years earlier than that. OJ trial was a convenient spin for executives who f***ed things up.

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2020 6:55 AM

R114

Yes, Ivan passed away. He used to post here as well. He also uploaded lots of soap content to Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2020 9:10 AM

R107

I'll do you one better in regards to mind-blowing.

A couple years ago DAYS had both VI and JE and they never shared a single scene. Absolute idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2020 9:12 AM

R112

If Peacock adds AW and Santa Barbara then they can have all my money.

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2020 9:14 AM

[quote]A couple years ago DAYS had both VI and JE and they never shared a single scene. Absolute idiocy.

r119 Judy and Vince did share a few scenes one day. They all took place in the Kiriakas living room and were inconsequential, filler scenes. It was disappointing. Their characters never interacted again.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2020 9:38 AM

r120 NBC owns Passions completely and partially owns Sunset Beach. So, it's easy enough for NBC to make the content available on its streaming service.

NBC doesn't own AW or Santa Barbara. P&G owns AW and New World owns Santa Barbara (although NBC did try to get ownership of the show at one point, which is why the Dobsons were locked out of the studio). So, NBC would have to negotiate for the rights to include AW and Santa Barbara on its Peacock streaming service.

And of course, there's also the issue of music rights. Santa Barbara used more popular music than any other soap, so those rights would be expensive. They could sub in some other less expensive songs for a lot of the popular songs, but not all of them.

I can't imagine watching Santa Barbara without Peabo Bryson's "If Ever You're in My Arms Again" playing for Kelly and Joe's theme song, Michael Feinstein's "My Favorite Year" playing for CC and Sophia's love song and of course Natalie Cole's "A Little Bit of Heaven" playing for Cruz and Eden's love song.

Fingers crossed, maybe they'll find a way to make it happen with the music intact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2020 9:54 AM

At one point I heard that a lot of the issues with the older soaps, such as PG is you have to convert all of that content from old videotape to a digital format which costs more money than they could get back from airing the shows. I'm not going to even pretend to know if that's true.

I can understand that we're talking about thousands of episodes versus 100 or 200 episodes of a primetime series run. I can also understand the challenges that videotape presents versus film when it comes to editing and removing certain elements such as music or the transfer from videotape to digital.

I know that on The Doctors they played a few very popular songs, not many, put they were hits and I'm not sure how Retro dealt with that. Maybe because the audience is so small for Retro they just hoped that no one would notice. In a few of the early rebroadcasts they left in a few of the old 60s Colgate commercials, which made it even more fun to watch.

Ultimately, I just don't get having all of that content sitting in a vault somewhere degrading with each passing year and not doing anything with it, especially when this new world of streaming has exploded. But, me personally, I've never thought that PG respected their soap opera history and legacy. And I'm sure the people running the company now even know or care about all of the content that just sitting around getting dusty.

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2020 12:35 PM

Passions and Sunset Beach won't entice me to buy Peacock. They were never my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]What about the midget who dated Rose? He hung out with Cass & Felicia.

Wallingford is who hung out with Cass and Felicia. Actor Brent Collins played the part. He also played Mr. Big on ATWT before that.

Not sure what your reference to Rose is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2020 1:41 PM

r125

he dated Rose on golden girls

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2020 1:50 PM

P&G shows were really music heavy in the 80s and that seems to be the biggest issue - music licensing.

The music wasn't edited in on a separate track - in most cases, it was playing in the background as the scene was taped. So those scenes can't just have the music edited out of them.

And that's just the popular music. I'm sure Score Productions and those sorts of folks who did instrumental cues also want money.

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2020 3:10 PM

But still, it makes me wonder why they couldn't just find a solution. The music cues weren't as prominent by the 90s, so we could still get 90s era shows.

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2020 3:11 PM

I remember the OJ trial in 1995 as the catalyst that made many of my friends realize they could live without soaps. In the present, these ridiculous airings of the impeachment trial on NETWORK tv while each one has cable, online, streaming, etc. outlets is doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2020 3:48 PM

Actually, Santa Barbara could end up on Disney+ (by virtue of being part of Fox's catalog). It might not be a bad canary in the coalmine test re: eventual streaming of the ABC soaps.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2020 3:49 PM

To answer a question from above, I don't really have any inside dope on the folks at Soap Opera Digest back in the 90s. Most of my direct contact was with the editor who covered Another World when she was reassigned to As the World Turns after AWs cancellation. She'd ask me ATWT history stuff every once in a while and kept some of the stuff I had put online, like family genealogies, in her office for reference.

by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote]In the present, these ridiculous airings of the impeachment trial on NETWORK tv while each one has cable, online, streaming, etc. outlets is doing the same thing.

I don't agree. The OJ Trial was a classic soap opera. Money, power, fame, domestic turmoil, jealousy, affairs, pretty people, a colorful cast of supporting players. It had everything that the soaps had, except the fact that it was all real life. It left people with a desire to see real life soap opera instead of the fiction of regular daytime soaps. Thus the explosion of court shows and eventually even more reality TV.

The impeachment hearings are something else entirely and will not have the same impact on daytime. There is not the same desire to see the country coming undone by an insane president and a Senate that will allow him to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2020 5:24 PM

Yes I agree that OJ/impeachment trial are two different animals so to speak, but their impact on daytime is the same: without actually AIRING the soaps, people get un-hooked and it becomes less and less must-see tv. It's one more nail in the coffin of a dying industry to air this insipid programming over them (when there are other, more appropriate outlets) and just conditions people to learn to live in a world without them.

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2020 5:46 PM

[quote]Thus the explosion of court shows and eventually even more reality TV.

Yes, you can draw a straight line from OJ to the Kardashians the Real Housewives. I don't get the appeal but I know a lot of former soap lovers who live for that trash.

by Anonymousreply 134January 25, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote]I don't get the appeal but I know a lot of former soap lovers who live for that trash.

Because at the very core of those shows, they're soaps. And most viewers don't really get that they're scripted because the "characters" are using their real names.

by Anonymousreply 135January 25, 2020 6:26 PM

I remember the Oliver North shit pre-empted the soaps as well.

by Anonymousreply 136January 25, 2020 6:37 PM

OJ did not have the effect on me that r132 describes. I just wanted to get back to my program, which was OLTL at the time. It was another real-life event, however, that killed OLTL, and soaps, for me in 2000: the Elian Gonzalez story.

On Good Friday, and all through Easter weekend, I had the choice of watching the Elian story unfold in all its glorious, genuine suspense—would the US government send him back to Cuba or let him stay with his Miami relatives? Or would I watch One Life? Mimi Torchin had spoiled the then-current OLTL storyline so completely in 128-point type across the cover of her ragazine that week, there was no debate: in order to know what happened next with Elian, you had to actually watch cable news that weekend.

I never watched OLTL again—not seriously. I didn't really watch soaps for much longer, either. I was through with both "World" shows, and I would not watch another soap again until LML took over at Y&R (2005?), an interlude I loved, but that's another story.

And then there was "Luke is gay" on ATWT. I took as much of that as I could stomach, and then soaps and I were done (I returned for a little of Mark Grossman as Adam Newman on Y&R, but I think I'm done with that now, too). The impeachment will have little effect on my soap watching. Y&R has killed my interest in Y&R on its own.

by Anonymousreply 137January 25, 2020 6:40 PM

Jef/R131 No worries. I was just curious. It was interesting to me that some of the articles/columns were written under pseudonyms, but I guess in the 80s in particular someone writing about soaps might not be considered a serious journalist for other publications. This was before the era of EW, etc. where writers like Michael Logan could write about daytime AND nighttime.

I remember Stephanie Sloane was the AW editor for years, of course she's now EIC. She was the subject of a lot of gossipy speculation around the time Carolyn Hinsey was fired from Soap Opera Weekly.

I know, or have had some minor online chit chat, with some of the Digest writers, and a few of the writers who have written for various shows. I don't claim any inside track as I'm rarely afforded that kind of insight (or gossip) but we have chatted.

by Anonymousreply 138January 25, 2020 9:54 PM

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 139January 25, 2020 10:19 PM

Miss R137 must be the Mimi Torchin Killed Soaps troll (sorry, enthusiast) who shows up every once in a while!

The Georgie story, right?

by Anonymousreply 140January 25, 2020 10:21 PM

Guiding Light would be 83 years old today (including radio broadcasts).

If it were still on the air, it would have been on TV 68 years in June.

by Anonymousreply 141January 26, 2020 3:33 AM

Have no idea who or what she was-

by Anonymousreply 142January 26, 2020 3:47 AM

GASP!

by Anonymousreply 143January 26, 2020 3:56 AM

I always thought Melrose Place — once it decided to be the “funny, campy” soap, took a lot of cues from SB.

by Anonymousreply 144January 26, 2020 5:35 AM

R141, yes to "Mimi Torchin Killed the Soaps" enthusiast. I don't know who Georgie was, though. The OLTL story Mimi Torchin killed that weekend had to do with Will Rappaport escaping the train that was taking him to Statesville Prison.

by Anonymousreply 145January 26, 2020 7:22 AM

Oops. R145 was in response to r140.

by Anonymousreply 146January 26, 2020 7:23 AM

I loved the Georgie storyline. OLTL was fun during those years. Both Teddy Sears and Brandon Routh were on and shirtless all the time.

by Anonymousreply 147January 26, 2020 2:17 PM

I [italic]know[/italic] I didn't see them, r147.

by Anonymousreply 148January 26, 2020 2:45 PM

R145 The original Mimi Killed Soaps queen was mad about the Georgie storyline, circa.....1997? 1998?

Georgie was murdered and Weekly released the identity of the murder before it was ever revealed on screen.

by Anonymousreply 149January 26, 2020 3:03 PM

PS, that's about OLTL and since this is the P&G thread, let's continue any further OLTL discussion at the current AMC/OLTL thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 26, 2020 3:05 PM

I must be the "Mimi Killed the Soaps" Queen II, then, because Georgie is not familiar to me. I started watching OLTL again when Pete Lemay started working on it with JFP. I'd given it up years earlier, the day Billy Douglas left for Yale. When I started to watch, the Rappaports were the new family in town, in just about every scene. It must have been 1998-99. Georgie apparently died in 1998. Obviously, Mimi had been killing the soaps prior to 2000.

I have nothing to say on an OLTL board, r150. I was responding here to existing commentary on the effect OJ Simpson had and the current impeachment will have on daytime viewing.

by Anonymousreply 151January 26, 2020 4:32 PM

I thought the Georgie reference was about the murder of Deorgie Scorpio on GH.

by Anonymousreply 152January 26, 2020 7:17 PM

Back to Anna Banana.

I wonder if she and Ellen Wheeler stayed in touch.

by Anonymousreply 153January 26, 2020 10:08 PM

I wonder if Jensen Buchanan ever gave Anna a ride in her helicopter.

by Anonymousreply 154January 26, 2020 11:58 PM

Considering that Ellen is now working for Glenn Beck, it amazes me that anyone is still in touch with her, but surprisingly, a number of former colleagues still seem to be.

by Anonymousreply 155January 27, 2020 12:04 AM

R155

What does she do for Glen Beck? I looked at her IMDB and there's nothing listed.

by Anonymousreply 156January 27, 2020 6:48 AM

R156

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 27, 2020 3:06 PM

Wheeler is a Mormon so not super surprising that she's a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 158January 27, 2020 6:03 PM

EWhee sort of fascinates me, I admit.

She's just so....unusual. Her trajectory is a fascinating story.

by Anonymousreply 159January 27, 2020 6:35 PM

Like, when did she realize her then-bf Tom Eplin still tricked with former “benefactors” for fun even after he was raking in the bucks at AW?

by Anonymousreply 160January 27, 2020 6:57 PM

The Ellen Wheeler - Tom Eplin marriage is one for the books. She, a pious, straight-laced Mormon and he an oversexed hedonist. I can't imagine why either of them thought their pairing was a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 161January 27, 2020 7:33 PM

Ellen Wheeler did not like how Kim Zimmer’s beauty secret was saving her own piss in a jar and rubbing it all over her face. It caused on set fights galore.

by Anonymousreply 162January 27, 2020 8:04 PM

Glenn Beck is anti-Trump

by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2020 8:09 PM

Glenn Beck WAS anti-Trump. He's all in for him now.

by Anonymousreply 164January 27, 2020 8:15 PM

Beck had about 30 seconds of not acting like a loon and then his ratings dropped and money dried up, so he's back on the shitposting fuckery bus.

by Anonymousreply 165January 27, 2020 8:41 PM

Glenn Beck belongs in this thread even less than OLTL does. Much, much less.

by Anonymousreply 166January 27, 2020 8:46 PM

Excuse me! This thread is about ME!

by Anonymousreply 167January 27, 2020 8:47 PM

I used to chase Ellen W around the GL set with my jar of piss. It made her cry.

by Anonymousreply 168January 27, 2020 9:14 PM

Peapack is really pretty....though you'd never know it from some of the shaky-cam episodes.

by Anonymousreply 169January 27, 2020 10:07 PM

Peapack is pretty? Really? It looked like a dump. People talking on the phone to each other pretending to be in different parts of town, only you could tell they were positioned on opposite ends of the same park, overgrown weeds and all.

by Anonymousreply 170January 28, 2020 2:14 AM

Zim used to squat behind the trees, grab some piss, and wipe it on her face. They don’t call it PEEpack for no reason

by Anonymousreply 171January 28, 2020 2:44 AM

I thought Peakpack looked better on ATWT where only externals were used, whereas on GL, actors were crammed into tight spaces in real houses, etc. It always looked awkward.

by Anonymousreply 172January 28, 2020 2:47 AM

It looked great, actually. Very pretty.

They had some stunning visuals towards the end. I remember watching, after Grant A came back, and seeing two characters having an intense discussion in heavy (real) snowfall. It was breathtaking.

I stopped watching when they started destroying Phillip after years of destroying Beth. I couldn't take it any more. I know there was the Beth split personality story where it was discovered Bradley left Beth a silver mine. But nothing really came of it. That was typical of what was wrong with GL and most soaps then and now.

Btw- when I tuned back in, Beth was having a torrid romance with (gorgeous) Coop. Beth C looked fantastic! She was always very pretty and in shape but her bod and face made her look late 20's. And a good late 20's.

by Anonymousreply 173January 28, 2020 2:49 AM

John Driscoll and his enormous biceps. Le sigh.

by Anonymousreply 174January 28, 2020 3:17 AM

Speaking of Beth, someone asked a few threads back if there was a clip of Judi Evan's last episode as Beth when she was kidnapped. I have looked but it really does seem they have the day before and the day after which is strange. Why not the day GL's first actor Emmy winner leaves her iconic role?

If any of you great people can help, much appreciated!

by Anonymousreply 175January 28, 2020 4:09 AM

I think that should be Judi Evans'. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 176January 28, 2020 4:10 AM

We’re Tom Eplin’s “benefactors” men or women?

by Anonymousreply 177January 28, 2020 6:49 AM

The Tom Eplin-Ellen Wheeler marriage always puzzled me.

At the time, one of the soap magazines asked her how she could act opposite him all day long then turn around and spend the entire evening with him. She said something about being in love meaning wanting to spend 24 hours a day with someone.

Wasn't surprised the marriage was shortlived.

by Anonymousreply 178January 28, 2020 8:37 AM

[quote]The Tom Eplin-Ellen Wheeler marriage always puzzled me.

Not me. Youth and intense sexual chemistry has lead many of us on a journey that we didn't plan to go on.

by Anonymousreply 179January 28, 2020 12:51 PM

R175 I think 95 percent of the GL content online came from one or two posters. They unfortunately didn't have that scene (circa 1986) though I think they had a few days after that.

They're also missing a lot of the summer and fall of 1987.

by Anonymousreply 180January 28, 2020 1:42 PM

R177, they were definitely men.

by Anonymousreply 181January 28, 2020 2:00 PM

I was reading a short bit about James Cromwell in the Post. He was quoted denigrating Hillary.

Now I'm pissed that he's married to our Anna Banana.

by Anonymousreply 182January 28, 2020 2:20 PM

James is probably a bit more on the Bernie side of things, one imagines.

by Anonymousreply 183January 28, 2020 2:22 PM

Tom Eplin was as pretty as any 80's Falcon porn star.

He was apparently "dating" Tracey Bregman before he and Ellen had a relationship....but one wonders if bearding was involved? Or whether he was just bi with benefactors.

by Anonymousreply 184January 28, 2020 2:23 PM

R183

Yes, he was spouting Bernie Bro shit but the vitriol against Hillary was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 185January 28, 2020 2:24 PM

I mean, this sounds very rehearsed.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 28, 2020 2:26 PM

Part One of same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187January 28, 2020 2:27 PM

The site where I found the Eplin pieces has some very interesting snippets from old soap mags.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188January 28, 2020 2:52 PM

Floyd from GL had an album? No way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189January 28, 2020 3:02 PM

I used to live for Soap Opera Digest. I loved Michael Logan's articles- though I have since learned that the "wife" he always mentioned in his articles was more like a husband. Diva Von Dish was funny, especially when Kim Zimmer called "her" out at the Daytime Emmys.

And of course, all the imaginary real-life couples that SOD tried to make us believe existed. Like Jeremy and Natalie from AMC being a real-life couple. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 190January 28, 2020 3:14 PM

R190 Was Natalie Todd Curtis's nickname?

by Anonymousreply 191January 28, 2020 3:21 PM

You mean Christopher Durham, R191.

by Anonymousreply 192January 28, 2020 3:42 PM

R192 You are so right. My mistake. "Bad soap queen. Bad soap queen." (Hitting wrist.....)

by Anonymousreply 193January 28, 2020 3:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194January 28, 2020 3:59 PM

Who is the guy on the left in R194's photo?

by Anonymousreply 195January 28, 2020 4:51 PM

R195 His name is Korey Mall, according to the eBay description.

He was on Loving and Santa Barbara for about 3 seconds.

(and he's the cutest one of the bunch if you ask me!)

by Anonymousreply 196January 28, 2020 5:03 PM

Durham was also with Le Clerc. Le Cler dumped him when Durham learned he was poz.

by Anonymousreply 197January 28, 2020 6:18 PM

Before Jean LeClerc landed his role on "All My Children" (which he later took to "Loving"), he was passed around practically every New York based soap in minor parts: "The Doctors" as a doctor with a magical de-aging formula who was Elizabeth Hubbard's last love interest on the show; "As the World Turns" as Elaine Princi's ex-lover who came to squire her away from Bob Hughes and "The Edge of Night" as a guest in the old Whitney Mansion where Sky and Raven were posing as the butler and maid to solve the mystery of the house being haunted.

by Anonymousreply 198January 28, 2020 6:25 PM

R190

How did Zimmer call her out at the Emmys?

by Anonymousreply 199January 28, 2020 6:40 PM

R199, Zimmer said something along the lines of, "And Diva Von Dish, if you're watching, what do you think of this??"

Zimmer often got made fun of by DvD.

by Anonymousreply 200January 28, 2020 6:50 PM

Variety is saying P&G are entering the world of streaming.

Bring on my AW, GL, ATWT reruns.

by Anonymousreply 201January 28, 2020 7:41 PM

From the article r201 didn't bother to link to: “At P&G, as the world’s largest advertiser, we feel we are uniquely positioned to make a positive impact and help create a world free from gender bias, with equal voice and equal representation for all individuals."

Oh, dear fucking Christ on a cross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202January 28, 2020 7:56 PM

R197 We know. It has been discussed here many times.

And the LeClerc/Durham coupling is what R190, R191, R192 and R193 were referring to in their posts.

by Anonymousreply 203January 28, 2020 10:24 PM

[quote]Bring on my AW, GL, ATWT reruns.

What about me Bitch?

by Anonymousreply 204January 29, 2020 12:13 AM

The edge of night

Half Dark and Half Light!

by Anonymousreply 205January 29, 2020 12:14 AM

And R201, don't make me come over there and cut you.

by Anonymousreply 206January 29, 2020 12:16 AM

And Mary is a grade A cunt. She'll do it!

by Anonymousreply 207January 29, 2020 12:21 AM

Watch me sponge pee on my face in Peepack.

by Anonymousreply 208January 29, 2020 12:25 AM

What are the chances they actually put their soaps on a streaming service?

by Anonymousreply 209January 29, 2020 2:08 AM

I would imagine the streaming services like Hulu and Amazon would be anxious to get the content of the P&G shows, but soaps on a streaming service is unchartered territory.

I mean, there's just no track record to prove large numbers of people will actually stream entire seasons of old soaps. Remember, AW got super low ratings when repeats aired on SoapNet. So far, the only soap that has entire seasons on a streaming service is Dark Shadows, but it always had a cult following.

Likewise, licensing the P&G soaps could be pricey. So, I suspect Amazon or Hulu or whoever is going to wait and see how well NBC's Peacock streaming service does with the soaps it offers before making a bid on the P&G shows.

Alternately, P&G could start its own streaming service. Everyone else is, so why not P&G? Except P&G has been doing everything to get out of the TV production game in recent decades save for a few special shows as discussed the Variety article linked at r202.

by Anonymousreply 210January 29, 2020 2:20 AM

Here's the thing. I was on Amazon Video the other and they are showing this sitcom called "Good Morning World". I had never heard of it, so I Googled it. It was a one season show that was on before I was born about a radio station. And I bet that most of you have never heard of that show, as well as many other old shows that are on Amazon.

If Amazon or any streaming service can put on such an obscure old show, they can put on soaps. The money in streaming is in subscriptions, not in how many views a show gets. I'm sure they love it when a show catches on fire and gets many hits and buzz, but it's not ratings driven like network TV.

The issue with most soaps is the cost of the conversion to digital and the music rights. And because most of the audio was recorded on one track, you can't replace the music. Since PG foolishly wiped the majority of their content before 1978 and before soaps started using popular music they are in this weird position with most of the catalogue.

I love old soaps, but if I were on the board of directors at PG, I wouldn't vote to show soaps because the investment to get them on the air would outweigh any kind of return. And let's be honest here, we old soap fans are a niche market. We are not Dark Shadows. We are not hosting and attending annual Another World conventions. We are not spending millions on Another World DVDs.

But, if someone wants to put on an AW Convention with guest stars, I'll be the first one there.

by Anonymousreply 211January 29, 2020 2:40 AM

The sad fact is that it has been 25-30 years since anybody in any position of importance has loved, or even cared about, the P&G soaps. Millions of us fans did, but there was no exec or writer left to really fight for them, and there still isn't now.

They have become abandonware :(

by Anonymousreply 212January 29, 2020 2:42 AM

Amazon followed a theory called the Long Tail. Long story short: By having the capacity to carry nearly everything, it could make money even if it only sold a few of something.

I'm sure to some degree Amazon Video can do the same if it is not paying substantial upfront money. So even if they have only, say, 500 people watching old P&G soaps, those 500 will then also watch other things on there.

It could work, if the numbers were right on both ends. But I suspect P&G still thinks their library is worth more than it really is. Which means those tapes will probably rot from neglect.

by Anonymousreply 213January 29, 2020 2:50 AM

As far as music rights- a simple law passed could fix that. They could exempt them or have the company pay a flat rate.

by Anonymousreply 214January 29, 2020 2:52 AM

R214 But the record companies have gotten way more aggressive about money for rights, especially after so many songs, etc. were shared online for free. It would be hard to convince them to do what you're suggesting. They lose money.

I agree that for snippets as small as they often featured they should accept a smaller rate, but they feel differently.

by Anonymousreply 215January 29, 2020 2:54 AM

R215 It would either be some money or none. I can't see them fight that hard about old soap episodes.

by Anonymousreply 216January 29, 2020 3:00 AM

I may be wrong about this, but I thought I read that the only time music producers can waive rights fees is when the production is being broadcast for educational purposes.

by Anonymousreply 217January 29, 2020 3:04 AM

R204 & R205 The last "Edge" gave hints that Alicia Van Dine was stabbed to death, but out there in Monticello heaven, I bet Alicia was actually stabbed to render unconscious so insane brother Louis could plant some sort of mind control device in her. Louis's assistant, Donald Hext, was played by Ralph Beyers who also played the D.A. Eric Weston on "Another World" who was a social acquaintance of Donna's.

by Anonymousreply 218January 29, 2020 12:38 PM

Breaking on Twitter

Marj Dusay has died. No info on the cause yet

by Anonymousreply 219January 29, 2020 1:27 PM

R219 Nothing on Soap Central, but I went onto Facebook and Twitter and found several articles. She was such a sweet lady, devoted to the cause of raising money for AIDS research, having lost her son to HIV related illnesses when she first joined "Guiding Light". I am truly saddened. She was always at the flea market in Times Square for years. I was once a member of her Yahoo fan group and got some personal responses for messages I wrote. Recently, I revisited her work as Pamela Capwell on "Santa Barbara", and had been a fan of hers ever since she took over the role of Myrna Clegg on "Capitol". It seems like a day went by where I didn't think of her in one way or another. She was very comforting to people who lost their partners or family or siblings to the disease. Her birthday would have been three weeks away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 29, 2020 1:56 PM

Very lovely remembrance, R220.

by Anonymousreply 221January 29, 2020 2:12 PM

Marj and Anna Stuart shared a terrific scene together on "All My Children" when Vanessa, in straight jacket and wheelchair, was preparing for medical tests, and was approached by Mary Smythe who introduced herself to her as Greenlee's mother. Marj cackled and told her about how she had almost stabbed Greenlee to death just weeks before. It was delightfully sinister. Mary backed away very cautiously as if she had just encountered Hannibal Lechter. Two of my favorite divas playing beautifully off each other!

by Anonymousreply 222January 29, 2020 2:15 PM

Marj!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223January 29, 2020 2:25 PM

Obit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224January 29, 2020 8:36 PM

Just an aside, one of the reasons Good Morning World has been remembered is because Goldie Hawn appeared there before Laugh-In (alongside DL fave Billy DeWolfe).

by Anonymousreply 225January 29, 2020 9:26 PM

RIP Marj. I didn't care for her as Alex but she seemed like a great lady. I saw her in person when I walked by the GL studios in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 226January 29, 2020 9:26 PM

I thought Marj was lazy, unimaginative casting for Alexandra but I did like her as Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 227January 29, 2020 10:00 PM

A wonderful post in the thread for Marj.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228January 30, 2020 3:46 AM

Just looking at Mark’s face without googling was she Blair Warner’s mother?

So many AW actors mentioned from the 80s — does anyone remember Ed Fry? He played Adam Cory, I thought he was really cute at the time, pretty sure he was gay. No idea what or if he did anything after; I may just google him now.

by Anonymousreply 229January 30, 2020 6:24 AM

MARJ***

by Anonymousreply 230January 30, 2020 6:25 AM

Ed Fry certainly looked gay. But him IMDB page says he's been married to a woman since 1994.

After he left AW, he went over to ATWT for a few years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231January 30, 2020 8:13 AM

Adam Cory's parents (and presumably Robert LuPone's Neil Cory) were played by "Edge of Night's" Forrest Compton and Joanna Merlin. Ann Flood of "Edge" was also on "AW" at the time as a Cory Publishing employee as was Sharon Gabet.

by Anonymousreply 232January 30, 2020 1:28 PM

R229, I was roommates once with someone who went to college with Ed Fry and he told me Fry was genuinely tortured by his sexuality-he was apparently from a very conservative family. Yes, he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 233January 30, 2020 3:26 PM

I would have taken Ed's hairy cock inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 234January 30, 2020 3:51 PM

Can it be?

Gayle King on Guiding Light?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 30, 2020 11:59 PM

Aunt Liz, are you here?

Have we been Muriel'd?

by Anonymousreply 236February 1, 2020 12:49 AM

Not Muri eled...yet.

by Anonymousreply 237February 1, 2020 1:30 AM

Darling! Where is everyone?

by Anonymousreply 238February 2, 2020 4:08 AM

pissing so I can spread it on my face. only one facelift needed bitches

by Anonymousreply 239February 2, 2020 4:19 AM

What was the main gossip about Kim Z? We know she drank towards the end. Anything else juicy?

by Anonymousreply 240February 2, 2020 7:40 PM

R240 I think towards the end - the last 5-10 years - she was just so frustrated that she became a bit of a diva.

Some of her complaints were very valid. She saw the writing on the wall and knew the more cuts the shows made, the sooner they'd eventually disappear.

I think actors like Zimmer and Grant A liked Paul Rauch, even though he could be a bit of a control freak, because he ran things with a strong hand and the actors could go to him with issues - not nonsense, but real issues - and trust he'd go to bat for them. After he left, things were a mess. Zimmer was constantly complaining about storylines.

Some of her diva rep is warranted, but I also think Grant A said and did some of the same things during his time - it was part of why he was let go in 2004 - and he's never had that same "diva" or "difficult" label really stick to him. (Then again, most of his female costars went on record to praise him when he was fired.)

by Anonymousreply 241February 2, 2020 9:12 PM

Grant was frustrated with story and character assassination like most of them. He always played his character's love for Beth correctly even when the dialogue wanted to say different.

by Anonymousreply 242February 2, 2020 9:29 PM

Zimmer is 65 today!

Drink up, bitches!!

by Anonymousreply 243February 2, 2020 11:21 PM

Aunt Liz here. Sorry, I haven't posted here in recent days, but this thread fell off my Watchlist, despite the fact I am the one who started the thread!.

I just assumed everyone was posting on the Marj Dusay thread instead, so didn't really think much about this thread being quiet. Then today, I searched for the thread and discovered it was no longer in my Thread Watcher list on the right side of the screen. Very weird that it would just fall off like that, but it's certainly not the first thread ever to fall of of the Watchlist.

To get things back on topic, let's discuss why P&G and CBS allowed individual stations to move GL to the 10 a.m. slot beginning back in 1993.

My local station carried GL at 3 p.m. until the final episode, so I don't have any personal experience with this. But others of you may have lived through it airing at 10 a.m. I do know that the NYC station, which is owned and operated by CBS (!!!), moved it to 10 a.m. sometime in 1993.

This is so strange. Santa Barbara aired its last episode in Jan. 1993, so the only soap competition that GL had was GH, which wasn't in fantastic shape for much of 1993, at least not until Luke and Laura returned in Nov. 1993.

Meanwhile, GL was in fantastic shape, coming off the strongest year it had had (1992) for a while. It faltered some by the very end of 1993, but not much. Now 1994 is a different matter -- GL declined precipitously in 1994.

So, what happened? Why did CBS start allowing individual stations to air GL at other times? What are your theories?

by Anonymousreply 244February 3, 2020 6:27 AM

I remember a number of the soap folks mentioning that before, Liz. It is really weird how quickly GL went from can't miss to can't watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245February 3, 2020 6:39 AM

I read somewhere that CBS allowed their O&Os to move Guiding Light because they wanted an afternoon timeslot for Dr. Phil where it wouldn't compete with Oprah. The CBS stations that weren't O&Os probably used this option to broadcast other afternoon talkshows, my affiliate (not an O&O) showed Ellen instead of GL. Some CBS stations just stopped carrying the show.

The thing that has always bothered me about soaps is that none of them have ever gone out on their own terms. They've all been cancelled for one reason or another. Before getting to the Peapack nonsense, P&G and CBS should have just let the show do a nice wrap up while it still looked like itself.

by Anonymousreply 246February 3, 2020 12:34 PM

r246 Dr. Phil show didn't debut until 2002, Ellen debuted in 2003.

CBS started allowing its stations to move GL to morning in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 247February 3, 2020 12:44 PM

Affiliate stations that are not owned by the network (O&Os) are contracted to carry a certain number of hours of programming from the network, but they don't have to broadcast every show the network provides or at the time they show it.

For instance when Edge was still on the official time was 4:00 est, but some ABC stations didn't carry it at all or did a delayed broadcast thing and showed it late at night or the next day in an early morning spot. My ABC station showed it at, I think, 10:30 am.

NBC, non O&Os, did this quite a bit with NBC soaps in the 80s. My station moved Texas and then just stopped carrying it and The Doctors completely about a year before they both were cancelled. For a year they moved Days to the 3:00 est slot, after AW for some local talk show. Then moved it back to 1:00 the next year.

If a CBS affiliate moved GL to a morning slot in 93, I would assume that it was a delayed broadcast (typically a day behind). I believe the 2000's time shifts for GL were not day behind delayed broadcasts.

by Anonymousreply 248February 3, 2020 1:10 PM

Just to clarify -

An O&O (owned and operated) is an affiliate station that is owned by the network

Regular affiliate stations that are not owned by the network have contractual agreements with the networks to show a certain amount of the network's programming.

by Anonymousreply 249February 3, 2020 1:14 PM

I live in Tennessee and I was told many years ago that the GL & ATWT were much loved in the South.

I believe that because if they were preempted they were always shown overnight. Not just that but we always got a crawl onscreen to tell us what time and the evening newscaster would even make an announcement during the local news.

Contrast that to present day: more often than not my ABC channel won't show a pre-empted GH overnight or if they do we don't get a crawl or announcement. You have to call the station and ask programming.

by Anonymousreply 250February 3, 2020 1:25 PM

Over the years my local stations moved Texas and Edge of Night to morning time slots. The NBC affiliate didn't carry the last few years of The Doctors at all.

by Anonymousreply 251February 3, 2020 1:32 PM

In NYC, WCBS moved GL to 10am in 1995, not 1993. The show was already shaky at that point.

The first episode at 10am on a Monday (in I think, September) was a repeat of the previous Friday - that was the beginning of the terrible “day behind” syndrome. How could the writers make a real Friday cliffhanger when we wouldn’t see it until the next week?

I remember thinking the whole 10am/day behind thing was not a good sign. It took 15 years to get to cancellation but this was a big step towards the abyss.

by Anonymousreply 252February 3, 2020 1:42 PM

I thought GL was still good up until 93ish, Reilly left in late 92, but I think Curlee and Demorest stay on until 93. That was a great writing team Curlee, Reilly, and Demorest. Sounds like a law firm.

by Anonymousreply 253February 3, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote]That was a great writing team Curlee, Reilly, and Demorest.

Indeed it was. I just dipped in and out during those years but I could see how good it was. I would never have suspected that Reilly would be capable of such schlock on DAYS. Curlee and Demorest really reined him him.

by Anonymousreply 254February 3, 2020 2:25 PM

[quote]In NYC, WCBS moved GL to 10am in 1995, not 1993. The show was already shaky at that point.

Well, that makes more sense. 1994 was one of the worst years ever for GL. Probably worse than anything in its final decade under Kreizman. And that's saying a lot!!

No wonder CBS allowed affiliates, even its own stations, to move the show around after the disaster of 1994. And that was still under JFP's reign. Amazing that someone who oversaw the brilliance of 1991-93 could then give us the tripe of 1994.

Enjoying this discussion tremendously. Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

by Anonymousreply 255February 3, 2020 7:04 PM

R250, that's been done this past few weeks when Y&R was pre-empted by the impeachment hearings on the CBS affiliate in the San Francisco Bay -- CBS' local evening news announced when Y&R would be shown overnight. I don't watch the evening news on the NBC and ABC local affiliates, so don't know whether they were doing the same for DOL and GH (assuming that those were also pre-empted).

by Anonymousreply 256February 3, 2020 8:35 PM

My local ABC station aired Edge of Night at 10:30 a.m. for many years. So, I was quite used to being day behind. Thus the big Friday cliffhanger always come on Mondays. You learn to adjust.

Of course this was long before online messageboards where people discuss every aspect of plots. The one-day delay broadcasts would mean so many plots would be spoiled by people who saw the show in its regular time slot.

Of course, for the last 30 years, we've also lived in a world where shows release detailed spoilers before shows even air. That's one of the things I believe contributed significantly to the demise of soap. Nowadays, who needs to tune in tomorrow when they can go online and read about it? And they wonder why the ratings started going down?

by Anonymousreply 257February 3, 2020 8:50 PM

CBS underwent huge changes between 1993 and 1995. Lots of corporate turmoil and I suspect the bean counters that had previously left daytime alone decided to milk it for shareholder revenue.

They also lost a ton of money circa 1995 when they lost NFL games, which may have led to a lot of the cancellation rumors and shows across the board being cut.

It's around the time CBS started to come under Les Moonves' control and cut all its Tiffany Network classiness for reality TV and constant procedurals.

by Anonymousreply 258February 3, 2020 8:55 PM

Yes, the point of allowing stations to move GL to the morning was because they could make more money airing a syndicated show in that time slot and stations also hoped to get better lead-ins to their real money-makers, the local news.

by Anonymousreply 259February 3, 2020 9:00 PM

My CBS affiliate didn't run ATWT for years, and luckily another station that our cable system carried did.

But I wonder how a city not carrying a show really made a difference in ratings.

Apparently toward the end GL only had coverage in 70 percent of the country. For most shows it's more like 90-95 percent.

by Anonymousreply 260February 3, 2020 9:42 PM

In actuality affiliates could air those soaps at any time they like, they are under no obligation to air them when the networks ask them to air them. They are also under no obligation to air any soap.

That is one of the many reason NBC cancelled Another World- AW followed Days of our Lives in many parts of the country. The network wanted James Reilly's new soap Passions to follow "Days" in every market that would carry the new soap. Even if they moved Another World to another time slot, that was no guarantee that the local stations would follow suit. By canning AW, that freed up that time-slot for a good guarantee that Passions would follow Days in most of the country.

by Anonymousreply 261February 3, 2020 10:02 PM

Passions was such shit. I can't believe they killed AW's legacy for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 262February 3, 2020 11:17 PM

There was something special about Guiding Light the other shows didn't seem to have. Acting? I kid.

Watching the network and P&G slowly kill its shows was very frustrating.

Is it true G fucking H will surpass GL as the longest running drama next year or two?

by Anonymousreply 263February 4, 2020 2:46 AM

Years on TV, yes, R263, but as of this moment GL still has a 72 year span overall.

by Anonymousreply 264February 4, 2020 3:37 AM

I know Jill Farren Phelps had haters, especially for the killing of Maureen Bauer bit, but I for one respected the woman for working so hard in 1995 to keep Kim Zimmer off the show. I remember KZ and RN campaigned heavily for YEARS to get her back on, and finally KZ got her way, but JFP put up a good fight.

And despite 1994 being cited as the year that GL started to go down the toilet, for me it brought about one of my favorite story lines of all time: the early days of Matt and Vanessa.

by Anonymousreply 265February 4, 2020 3:49 AM

I liked early Matt/Vanessa, too.

But that era was when GL started to bug me a bit about the way they did stories, because they'd have a coupling that worked, like Matt/Vanessa, or Danny/Michelle, and then they would play them EVERY. SINGLE. DAAAAAY. To death.

by Anonymousreply 266February 4, 2020 3:55 AM

Brent/Marion was one of the best. I know it is controversial but it really pushed the envelope. It was terrifying, campy, funny, disgusting, tragic, compelling and very well acted. You could not take your eyes off Brent/Marion when they were on screen. It was one of the few truly compelling story lines on any soap at the time. MARY!

I did not mind him killing Nadine since I did not like the character and found her annoying. It was, though, never sad when he killed her and the way he killed her. I think she was expendable and a big enough character to kill for the story line to have some weight behind it.

OF COURSE- GL was snake bit at the time and it ended when the fantastic actor playing him had a mental breakdown and left the role for awhile. GL really couldn't win for losing back then.

by Anonymousreply 267February 4, 2020 3:56 AM

Donna Love Hudson was someone I took under my wing and who I tried to mold into a successful, worldly, and admired soap opera royal. Sadly, she like all the others, accepted mediocrity and never reached the heights of celebrity like I did and continue to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268February 4, 2020 4:35 AM

[quote]I read somewhere that CBS allowed their O&Os to move Guiding Light because they wanted an afternoon timeslot for Dr. Phil where it wouldn't compete with Oprah.

There is a piece in Zimmer's book about soap diva's from several networks being invited on Oprah, and O was fawning over all the ABC actresses, and mostly ignoring the others. Well Kim was having none of that, she stormed off in a huff and when she was confronted about the ignoring, Oprah stated "I've watched these women my whole life, and I don't even know you".

by Anonymousreply 269February 4, 2020 4:54 AM

R267

You can blame JFP for being complicit for that. Beaty begged her to let up on him. He was faltering but she refused. He wound up being taken from the set straight to the psych hospital.

That cunt has a shit load of stuff to answer for when she dies.

by Anonymousreply 270February 4, 2020 7:23 AM

Frank Beaty had a breakdown? Tell me more.

by Anonymousreply 271February 4, 2020 11:45 AM

Frank Beaty was incredible in that role. But the role was so intense, it's no wonder he had a breakdown at the end.

It was a shame they had to hire day actor Marc Wolf, who had done drag before, to play the climatic final scenes. Wolf did a great job subbing at the last minute, but the audience was invested in Beaty, so the recasting for final few days lessened the impact of the climax.

by Anonymousreply 272February 4, 2020 1:27 PM

R268 Sorry, BD. You never really measured to the amounts of diva ladies like I did. Even your replacement Jess Walton and your mortal enemy Jeanne Cooper made this list along with me. You can use the excuse that they only considered current divas for this book, but Patricia Barry, who hadn't been on a soap in a while, made this list, while you were forgotten. Forgotten, forgotten, forgotten. Well maybe not forgotten. Everyone likes a good joke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273February 4, 2020 1:39 PM

^^^

Who the the woman between Dee and Linda?

by Anonymousreply 274February 4, 2020 2:59 PM

I believe that's Hunter Tylo, R274.

by Anonymousreply 275February 4, 2020 3:04 PM

Looks like one of the incarnations of Hunter Tylo to me.

by Anonymousreply 276February 4, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote] Donna Love Hudson was someone I took under my wing and who I tried to mold into a successful, worldly, and

Oh, honey. Only a few of us have earned the right to make fun of Donna, and I am at the top of that list. Now, shoo.

by Anonymousreply 277February 4, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote] You can blame JFP for being complicit for that. Beaty begged her to let up on him. He was faltering but she refused. He wound up being taken from the set straight to the psych hospital.

Actually JFP was fired in the summer of 1995 (June) and the Marian stuff didn't happen until late August 1995

So you are blaming the wrong producer

by Anonymousreply 278February 4, 2020 3:13 PM

R278 You do realize there are taping delays, no?

by Anonymousreply 279February 4, 2020 3:20 PM

The Brent Lawrence/Marion Crane story wrapped up in January/February of 1996. That's when Marc Wolf took over the part after Frank Beatty had his breakdown.

As I recall, that was one of the first stories Megan McTavish did when she became HW in June 1995. Michael Laibson was EP at that point.

by Anonymousreply 280February 4, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote] You do realize there are taping delays, no?

Yes I realize there is a delay and I admit I made a mistake.

JFP got fired in MAY of 1995 not June. Beaty didn't get up in the Marian outfit until August of 1995 and he had the entire month of July off, so the writers could transition the storyline.

There is a delay but not that much of a delay as they only only shoot a month in advance. There was a four month gap between JFP firing and when Beaty got into the Marian character,

by Anonymousreply 281February 4, 2020 4:41 PM

That, and the reintroduction of Dinah, were the only decent stories during McTavish's time.

by Anonymousreply 282February 4, 2020 8:32 PM

McTavish did a wonderful job with the very intense Brent/ Marion storyline. There were some legit scary, disturbing scenes during the run.

I had heard Frank Beatty (such a hottie) had a breakdown. That is sad. The role was very intense and would have broken many actors without a break. The ratings spiked enough during the storyline that I can see why the EP would want to keep it front and center. It was quite riveting and unlike anything else on daytime.

It is a shame he pretty much quit acting after that. He was so talented in addition to his good looks and sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 283February 4, 2020 9:46 PM

The dirt ran deeper than that, R283.

While the Brent/Lucy/Alan Michael story played out on screen, Frank Beaty was - allegedly - in love and/or in a sexual relationship with Rick Hearst, and that falling apart PLUS having to do the end of that story sent Frank into a breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 284February 4, 2020 10:35 PM

r284 That was the rumor. How likely is it true?

What a hot pair to be hooking up!!!!

by Anonymousreply 285February 4, 2020 10:37 PM

I loved the Brent/Marion story. It would never fly nowadays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286February 4, 2020 10:40 PM

Rick Hearst tweeted to Frank Beaty a few years agp

"Frankie, you are among the most honest and brave I've worked with"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287February 4, 2020 10:42 PM

Daddy Rick Hearst is lookin' good

by Anonymousreply 288February 4, 2020 10:44 PM

r288 Hmmmmm. I doubt they were sexually involved but I do think FB was in love with Rick.

by Anonymousreply 289February 4, 2020 10:48 PM

La Strasser is spilling more tea about JFP today. Damn! How did JFP escape all those years without someone cutting her brake lines or punching her in the face?

She truly is a retched woman.

by Anonymousreply 290February 5, 2020 12:36 AM

r290 She said?????

by Anonymousreply 291February 5, 2020 12:40 AM

R291 Check out Robin Strasser's Twitter feed for the details - there are several posts.

Discussions about OLTL (part of the topic she Tweeted about) can be found at the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292February 5, 2020 3:08 AM

Someone posted a notice on a Y&R Thread that this thread has been Murieled.

I'm happy to start a new thread, but it might be better that someone else start it.

I've started the last half dozen or so P&G threads, all of which have been paywalled after about two weeks. It's possible that my ID gets flagged by starting them, alerting Muriel that its one to keep an eye on for paywalling. So maybe someone else should try to start it.

by Anonymousreply 293February 5, 2020 8:52 AM

I can start one....let me ponder the title (one that flies a bit under the radar)

by Anonymousreply 294February 5, 2020 12:14 PM

New post, darlings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 5, 2020 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!