Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sue vs. Slee

In the world of ABC daytime divas, there's only room for ONE Queen.

Battle lines have been drawn. As two grand dames of drama slug it out, the greatest one of ALL will win...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 7, 2020 6:04 PM

It’s like Sophie’s Choice...

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2019 10:45 AM

Oh, it must have been like torture for poor Susan Lucci, with losses year upon year. Yet at the same award show, Slezak routinely walks away with another meaningless trophy to add to her multitude of Emmys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2019 11:31 AM

Susan Lucci displayed a high amount of class, manners, and grace on the night she finally did win, and almost was overwhelmed with appreciation at finally being recognized.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2019 12:59 PM

That was a great moment for Sue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2019 1:00 PM

Well, Sue has one Emmy out of 21 nominations while Viki Sleestack has six Emmys out of 9 nominations.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2019 2:26 PM

#TeamSleeForever

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2019 2:34 PM

These three in a scene.....I'm surprised the walls stayed in place, with all the scenery chewing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2019 5:26 PM

Shouldn't it REALLY be Sue vs. Deedee?

I remember reading about Deidre being ENRAGED at the positive reaction that Drake Hogestyn and Susan Lucci received when they hosted the daytime Emmy's together one year and they filmed a soap spoof skit for the show and people were raving about the chemistry between Sue and Drake and saying "Marlena who?". And supposedly, according to the tabloids in the mid 90s, AMC offered Drake a lot of money to relocate to NYC to join AMC

Remember when Dee Dee was on Arsenio Hall's show in 1991 and he brought up Erica Kane and Dee Dee shouted back "Don't say Erica to me!"

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2019 9:22 PM

Dee Dee Halls!

I love her! I still wish she would have come over to AMC to play my grandmother!

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2019 9:28 PM

R9 Dee Dee Hall's actually met with Brian Frons, who was head of NBC daytime in the early 80s and was responsible for making Marlena the center of DAYS in the 80s, in 2010 to discuss joining AMC as a Tara Martin recast when the soap moved from taping in NYC to LA, in case Sue didn't sign on

Sue got word of the meetings with Dee Dee Hall's and she quickly signed on!

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2019 9:32 PM

Sue was a better personality, while Slee was the better actress. They were like Joan and Bette, Joan was a "movie star," while Bette was the "actress." Though both were great.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2019 9:53 PM

It should actually be Sue vs. Judith, but oh well.

Dee got some good press when Aaron Spelling said if there was one daytime actress he could hire for Dynasty, it would be her. Ironic since you'd think he'd name an ABC soap star.

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2019 10:33 PM

R12 well to be fair, Dynasty had a lot of actors from DAYS as part of it's main cast

Wayne Northrup, Jack Coleman, Leann Hunley, Debrah Adair etc

Michael Nader, Dimitri on AMC, was a regular on Dynasty pre AMC as Dex Dexter

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2019 10:41 PM

It was strange that ABC soap stars were better represented on CBS primetime soaps. Susan got to appear on Dallas, Robin Strasser on Knots. David Selby, who first became a star on ABC's Dark Shadows, went on the star on Falcon Crest.

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]Dee Dee Hall's actually met with Brian Frons, who was head of NBC daytime in the early 80s and was responsible for making Marlena the center of DAYS in the 80s,

That's not quite right. Frons became head of NBC Daytime in April 1983. He was the one who insisted on emphasizing the younger characters, which is why Bo and Hope surged to the forefront soon after joining the show in spring 1983.

Marlena was already the center of the show when Frons joined NBC. She had been ever since the Salen Stangler storyline that culminated in May 1982 with Jake Kositchek (Jack Coleman) strangling Marlena's identical twin sister Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2019 11:44 PM

Susan Seaforth Hayes was livid when Dee Dee became the STAR! of Days. And between Dee and Kristian "Skeletor" Alfonso, they wiped Julie and SSH off the map.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2019 11:51 PM

Diedre Hall as a Marlena type psychiatrist in Pine Valley on AMC would have worked great in the 70s or early 80s

I always said of all the LA taped soaps that DAYS in the 60s- early 80s anyway, had the closest feel to a NYC taped soap, in part because a majority of it's cast was NYC theatre actors shipped off to LA to do the show

I was just watching Mickey Horton' s nervous breakdown scene from 1975 and it's brilliant soap acting, raw and gritty and it feels like Agnes Nixon wrote it and while the DAYS cast is somewhat "attractive", they weren't the models who can't act LA variety that ALL the soaps would eventually cast.

I mean they looked like REAL people!

by Anonymousreply 17December 11, 2019 12:00 AM

DAYS Executive producer and son of series creators Ted and Betty Corday talks about his father working with Agnes Nixon on As The World Turns before DAYS got started in the early 60s, in his autobiography book, he also said that as a kid he called Agnes Nixon "Aunt Aggie" because she was like a family member , a sister to his parents

DAYS was also developed as a NYC taped soap and Agnes was offered a writing job on it but turned it down to write the Bible for what would be One Life to Live, she also took a job writing for Another World under the impression that NBC would pick up OLTL as a series

After NBC agreed to distribute DAYS through Sony, they insisted that DAYS tape in LA because it was more cost effective so they entire NYC based Corday family had to move out to LA

The soap opera world is truly incestuous

by Anonymousreply 18December 11, 2019 12:13 AM

Agreed, R3 and R4. Her speech was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 19December 11, 2019 12:19 AM

I always thought it was sad that DAYS didn't continue to be the socially relevant topical soap opera in the 80s, like it was known for in the 70s under Bill Bell's headwriting run

Instead both AMC and OLTL became the "social issue" soaps , the kind of controversial stories that DAYS did a well in the 60s-early 80s

Angie and Jessie Hubbard on AMC were the first black supercouple on the soaps, but before that in 1975, DAYS had the first frontburner core African American family with the Grant family and the first interracial love story in daytime too with Valerie Grant and David Banning

All that went out the door as DAYS decided to out copy GH in the 80s, so DAYS became this supernatural action/adventure glam, supercouple soap, filled with LA pretty people "actors" in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 20December 11, 2019 12:22 AM

r18 Thanks, but a few of your details are wrong.

Bill Bell and Agnes Nixon both started under Irna Phliips, so its only natural they would be close.

Ted Corday worked on NYC soaps for many years, he was a ATWT director. That's why his shows had a New York feel even though they were taped in LA. Ted Corday moved to the West Coast specifically to start up Days, as well as two other soaps for NBC (Morning Star and Paradise Bay, which were both canceled quickly).

Sony was NOT the original production company of Days. I'm not sure who the original production company was, but it definitely wasn't Sony. Hell, Sony didn't even exist in 1965.

Agnes wrote her Bible for All My Children and sold it to CBS in 1965. However, last minute legal issues prevented CBS from putting it into production. So the AMC bible got shelved and Agnes moved over to write Another World beginning in late 1965. She did so well with AW that ABC approved her a few years later about doing a soap opera and that's when she created One Life to Live. Agnes detailed all that in her auto-biography.

by Anonymousreply 21December 11, 2019 12:31 AM

R21 gotcha, I'm paraphrasing but you're right now that I remember

Agnes created AMC BEFORE OLTL, so she turned down a writing job on DAYS to write her own bible for AMC, also I think she pitched both the AMC and OLTL Bibles to Proctor and Gamble, who she was working with on Another World

by Anonymousreply 22December 11, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote] Sony was NOT the original production company of Days. I'm not sure who the original production company was, but it definitely wasn't Sony. Hell, Sony didn't even exist in 1965.

Screen Gems, a division of Columbia Pictures, was the original company, they turned into Columbia Pictures Television, then Columbia TriStar Domestic Television, and then Sony Pictures Television. But, they are all technically the same company, that was either renamed or sold.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2019 12:38 AM

Sony Corporation was founded right after WWII.

They didn’t get into the movie business until Coca-Cola wanted to dump Columbia (and the holdings they acquired from Norman Lear, Merv Griffin, and others along the way) and they needed something to ease the pain of losing the Betamax vs. VHS format war.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2019 11:20 AM

Give it up, girls....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2019 11:24 AM

R25 Ruth Warrick was lucky she got to work for three of the greatest writers/creatives in the history of US entertainment, Orson Wells, Irna Phillips, and Agnes Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 26December 11, 2019 4:25 PM

Make it four since she was also the mother in [italic]Song of the South[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 27December 11, 2019 4:32 PM

Phoebe was queen of the nellie prisspots.

Only fitting that she married one, too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 11, 2019 4:35 PM

R27 I would have included WD, except I've never been able to watch the film.

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2019 4:37 PM

I've always loved Erika Slezak's Viki

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2019 4:44 PM

I am a Judith Light person myself.

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2019 4:56 PM

TALBOT HUDDLESTON!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2019 8:54 PM

Denise Alexander should have won an Emmy for her 1967 portrayal of Susan Martin during her trial for murdering David Martin. Alas no Emmys back then for daytime! Dark Shadows would have cleaned up too for production/sets/music and Jonathan Frid and Lara Parker (and Nancy Barrett) were always especially so outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2019 9:01 PM

R33 when Denise Alexander went to General Hospital for a huge sum and quit Days of Our Lives in 1973, she started the "DAYS and GH rivalry" that still goes on today according to Gerard J. Waggett in his "Ultimate Days of Our Lives trivia book"

It's the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry of the soap world! With Denise Alexander in the Babe Ruth role!

by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2019 9:28 PM

...and if Denise had stayed at Days there would NEVER have been Luke and Laura!

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2019 10:33 PM

Helen Gallagher is still alive, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 13, 2019 12:43 AM

R8 Drake was super sexy in 1994. He was fuckable, and great looking in the classic leading man way that you could safely take home to meet your mother. That would have been a huge coup for Lucci/AMC and their "off the charts" chemistry.

The battle of the soap vixens might have been over if for that.

Luckily for Deidre, Days had two huge stories for Drake that year that would allow him to flex his acting muscles marginally: Maison Blanche, and John the priest during possession, those two stories kept J&M at the front and center of Days for years after.

by Anonymousreply 37December 13, 2019 8:34 AM

Drake has never been a great thespian, but he's always been a stud in that Eighties McGyver sort of way, with a raised eyebrow and a smile, and that's kept him employed.

by Anonymousreply 38December 13, 2019 3:26 PM

[quote]Well, Sue has one Emmy out of 21 nominations while Viki Sleestack has six Emmys out of 9 nominations.

There was that terrible moment when Susan thought she had won again in 2002, and went up to the podium when they played the "All My Children" theme music by mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2019 3:53 AM

Slee was just too matronly but also too Frau. She always looked old. Lucci always looked young and stylish. No contest.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2019 4:02 AM

R40 it ain't a style contest!

Slee acted rings around Sue Lu. All Sue Lu could do is coo, giggle, toss her hair, and pretend to act big and bad.

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2019 4:10 AM

The hell it isn't R40. We're talking soaps, not Shakespeare. And this is DL. Looks and style count more than diction and elocution.

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2019 4:34 AM

Was Agnes Nixon a big fan of Lucci? My feeling from interviews they weren't particularly close in the beginning but became more friendly over the decades. Erica was of course based on another Agnes creation: Rachel from Another World.

Erica was "Rachel Lite". Robin Strasser took Rachel into darker places during that short period of '67-'73, her character more devious and... insane. There's a clip only audio, but there's a machiavellian rhythm in Strasser's voice that suggests a deeper pathos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2019 9:37 AM

Meghan McCain could decimate them both with her mere countenance.

by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2019 11:03 AM

The problem with Susan Lucci is that the sun doesn't shine out of her at all times like it does with me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 14, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]DAYS was also developed as a NYC taped soap and Agnes was offered a writing job on it but turned it down to write the Bible for what would be One Life to Live, she also took a job writing for Another World under the impression that NBC would pick up OLTL as a series

I always believed that Days was developed as a primetime serial about a university doctor and his family and it turned into a daytime serial at the request of NBC. Interesting.

Back to the topic.

Susan Lucci is like Drake Hogestyn and Ronn Moss. Not great actors, but are perfect for those specific characters/roles and every once in a while turns out a performance that is pretty good, because even a broken clock does it's job well twice a day.

Slezak does the kind of acting that works well in soap opera, but doesn't translate well outside of that genre. She was good, but had a tendency to go over the top and hammy even for soaps. Compare Slezak's performance to Judith Light's performance on the show and you can see where Slezak was weak.

by Anonymousreply 46December 14, 2019 3:15 PM

R45 That's because she doesn't eat Sunsweet prunes!

by Anonymousreply 47December 14, 2019 4:50 PM

[quote] but had a tendency to go over the top and hammy even for soaps

Did someone say HAM??!???!???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 14, 2019 4:51 PM

There is nothing wrong with OTT, in fact I prefer it to underplaying. I took a theater class in college. At the end we had to perform in a showcase, we were broken into groups and we performed the same skits or vignettes for two performances. The professor said I was being OTT and I needed to tone it down. I got him to agree that I would play it how he wanted for one performance and for the other I would play it my way. When we got the audience response cards back, my way was off the charts and the performance where I underplayed was rated adequate but not spectacular. He even admitted he was wrong. In fact, I broke his heart when I didn't change my major. He bugged me to become a theater major until I graduated.

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2019 12:05 AM

(quote)Did someone say HAM??!???!???

Did you want brown sugar or pineapple with that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2019 9:29 AM

Slee's ham fisted acting actually makes Linda Dano's seem subtle in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 15, 2019 10:15 AM

I think they went back to the Viki/Niki well too many times. What was left of that story after Michael Malone's epic and realistic take on DID? After that story all of Viki's alters were supposed to have been merged. Everyone else just played it for comedy and camp and they never got Niki right. I'm surprised that Slezak didn't put her foot down at some point.

by Anonymousreply 52December 15, 2019 2:23 PM

In that clip at R51, what was the point. Of Slee asking about about Dano’s face?

by Anonymousreply 53December 15, 2019 4:11 PM

A distraction technique? Was Linda trying to put the focus on Slee's hamminess with elusive, subtle delivery? Either way, Slee was not having any of it.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2019 4:32 PM

Of course Slee was hammy during her DID stories. It is rare for someone to not become hammy in those type of stories, even Joanne Woodward veered into hammy in The Three Faces of Eve. You have to create another character inhabiting another character’s body. Hammy and OTT is a basic way of doing that especially when you will have to do it for weeks or months at a time.

by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2019 4:38 PM

Slee would go full on ham even in her non-DID stories. This is not to say that she isn't a good actress, but you just don't have the time and the number of takes you'll need in daytime to refine that kind of performance. Susan Flannary gave a great interview about this very thing. About how easy it is to go over the top in daytime because you just don't have time to do it right.

by Anonymousreply 56December 15, 2019 4:46 PM

Especially as time went on and budgets were slashed.

by Anonymousreply 57December 15, 2019 4:49 PM

Slee was into scene stealing and throwing other actors off. Lucci was generous and would run lines with anyone. Susan had a few opps to leave daytime but stayed put because she'd started a family in the mid 70's. Slee got zero offers to do anything else.

by Anonymousreply 58December 16, 2019 12:21 AM

The only thing Sue ever got offers to do were Riunite commercials and bad movie of the week shit.

Slee is a THESPIAN!

by Anonymousreply 59December 16, 2019 12:31 AM

I am watching Ellen Holly's Television Academy interview. It's very good and very informative. She's 87 and she needs help with some of the names, but it's a pretty lucid interview. It's her perspective and there are two sides to every story, but my God does she hate Slee. So much so that she won't even call her by name. She only refers to her as "the third actress to play the role".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2019 1:32 AM

Who was the actor that Holly hated so much that was cast opposite her after she begged them not to? And did Slee really use racial language about her?

by Anonymousreply 61December 16, 2019 2:23 AM

I looked it up and it was Arthur Burghardt who is still badmouthing Holly.

by Anonymousreply 62December 16, 2019 2:28 AM

Ellen Holly put glue on those hands and grabbed that grudge.

HARD.

by Anonymousreply 63December 16, 2019 3:13 AM

R60 To me Ellen seems like Victoria Rowell. Bitter because she thinks she should have been a bigger star. I do hate how Lillian Hellman was apparently fired by Paul Rauch. After they got rid of Ellen, there wasn't a real role for Sadie. But, it should have been handled more professionally, though the only source for that story is Ellen Holly, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 64December 16, 2019 3:13 AM

I know what happened with Lil, but I'll never tell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 16, 2019 3:18 AM

Sorry I meant Lillian Hayman and Lillian Hellman.

by Anonymousreply 66December 16, 2019 3:22 AM

[quote]Bitter because she thinks she should have been a bigger star.

I don't agree with that. I think she is bitter, not because she was a bigger star, but from her vantage point, she feels that she was not treated fairly or as an equal on OLTL. Given the role she played in putting the show on the map. She feels that she and Sadie were tentpole characters and got screwed and you can tell that it still bothers her.

She goes off the rails a bit at the end with conspiracies, but a lot of her problems would have been solved by having a competent agent and not by putting her complete trust in Agnes Nixon. Nothing against Nixon, but if someone can get away with paying you a dollar, then they are going to pay you a dollar.

There are things that she doesn't take responsibility for with contracts and representation, but at the same time we are talking about the late 60s and the early 70s which was not a very progressive time for black actors.

by Anonymousreply 67December 16, 2019 3:23 AM

R67 The problem was that after her initial "Imitation of Life" style storyline, there didn't seem to much for her to do. As a black woman, at that time Carla could only be paired with a black man and since her's was the only black family on the show, she could only be featured in "romantic" triangles by bringing in another black male character. At least with Sadie, since she wasn't a romantic leading character, she could be used as a sounding board for other characters.

by Anonymousreply 68December 16, 2019 3:38 AM

Yes, R68, good points.

Soaps were still dealing with a resistance to anything but black on black couples even more recently when they tried to pair Victoria (then Heather Tom) and Neil (Kristoff St John) on Y&R. That was maybe 15ish years ago, so imagine 40 years back....

by Anonymousreply 69December 16, 2019 3:54 AM

Kate Collins was the true ABC goddess.

by Anonymousreply 70December 16, 2019 4:58 AM

Not room for two goddesses at AMC. You should know that r70.

by Anonymousreply 71December 16, 2019 12:29 PM

[quote]The problem was that after her initial "Imitation of Life" style storyline, there didn't seem to much for her to do. As a black woman, at that time Carla could only be paired with a black man and since her's was the only black family on the show, she could only be featured in "romantic" triangles by bringing in another black male character. At least with Sadie, since she wasn't a romantic leading character, she could be used as a sounding board for other characters.

I get the feeling that certain promises were made to her and not followed through on because of the controversial nature of her original story. She mentions Texas, but several ABC affiliates in the south threatened to stop carrying the show. She lost both her white and black love interests and Agnes probably kept her on out of guilt and just wasn't honest with her about what was really going on.

Just another sad entertainment story tinged with racism (ABC affiliates), liberal white guilt (Nixon), broken promises (Nixon and ABC), and fragile egos (Holly). But those were the times. There was no way she was going to be a black Erica Kane, like she alludes to. There was no way they were going to portray a black woman going through black men like that on daytime TV in an era when groups like the NAACP were desperately trying to change the image of black characters in TV and film.

It is funny how much she hates Slee, though. Holly even praises Joanne Dorian. Who even remembers Joanne Dorian, except Ellen Holly.

by Anonymousreply 72December 16, 2019 1:00 PM

R70 As the old hag at R71 reminds us, there is never room for two goddesses at AMC.

by Anonymousreply 73December 16, 2019 1:03 PM

R72 what you allude to is spot on. It might have been later but she suffered from similar problems as Hattie McDaniel and black actresses of earlier generations. The network AND the NAACP type groups were, for different reasons, not prepared to allow a black woman to play that type of role. We have seen that play out more recently with LGBT characters. Networks fearful of how viewers would react to an LGBT character and when they did allow one LGBT pressure groups wanted them neutered into such a positive role model that they became bland and unappealing. Thankfully such things seem to be ending, though we seem to still be in that phase when it comes to trans characters in Hollywood, in that they have to be positive heroes or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 74December 16, 2019 1:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 16, 2019 7:58 PM

This remains one of my favorite thread names of all time at the DL.

Whoever did this one deserved a gold star and a cookie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2019 7:59 PM

Always loved Jeanne Cooper portrayal of Katherine Chancellor in the The Young and the Restless,

by Anonymousreply 77December 17, 2019 3:50 PM

R77 Me too. Here's the Y&R thread where we discuss ol' Wilma Jeanne all the time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78December 17, 2019 3:54 PM

Sorry Slee but Andrea Evans ruled llanview in the 80’s

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2019 2:20 PM

I was never much of an OLTL fan, but I did watch more frequently during the Andrea Evans years...she was so fascinating, with her teased out straw hair and eye bags--fun to watch!

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2019 8:01 PM

I'm not sure what Andrea Evans life was like before acting, but the three main ABC actresses all came from backgrounds that helped shape their careers: Slee - a RADA trained daughter of Hollywood royalty, Lucci - a middle-class girl from Long Island, and Strasser, from her own admissions she grew up poor and from a broken home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 19, 2019 6:58 AM

Robin Strasser was the original blood-splattered bride in The House that Cried Murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 19, 2019 7:02 AM

R81 Robin Strasser faced some of the same casting issues that faced Joan Collins, it's hard to see her as anything but the social-climbing diva. But that interview reminded me how good Strasser was in the tv movie about a woman who hires a surrogate in Baby M. That was a controversial story in its day and made quite a splash.

Jo Beth Williams (Emmy nominated) is amazing and gives a masterclass of female suffering in her part. But Robin is good, carefully measured in her less showy role. She's sympathetic and not OTT or bitchy at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 19, 2019 2:19 PM

I like Ilene Kristen's Dee from Ryan's Hope better than any of them.

by Anonymousreply 84December 20, 2019 5:33 AM

I can't believe Ilene's voice changed so much between Ryan's Hope and OLTL. What was she doing, slugging back shots of raw eggs and kerosine between Pall Malls?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 20, 2019 11:07 AM

The first year of Ryan's Hope had a solid foundation story wise but that acting was awful, including Ilene. I was shocked when I first saw it. But Ilene eventually grew into the part.

by Anonymousreply 86December 20, 2019 12:25 PM

R86, acting on RH was always outstanding. S1 had Kristen, Mulgrew, Gallagher, etc. Only Christian Slater's dad was genuinely awful.

by Anonymousreply 87December 20, 2019 5:34 PM

Has there ever been a movie titled "The Erika Slezak Story", or "The Susan Lucci Story"?

No. Amateurs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 20, 2019 11:04 PM

R88 I've always felt it is kind of tawdry for an actor to play themselves in a biopic, unless it is a short cameo in the present day.

by Anonymousreply 89December 21, 2019 1:34 AM

I've always thought Robin Strasser was a better actress than Erika Sleezak. I've heard and read that Strasser is a bit of a flake in real life.

Deidre Hall and Kim Zimmer are annoying cunts and no soap was made better by them, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 90December 21, 2019 3:25 AM

R90 I don't agree, while I disliked Zimmer's Echo on OLTL, her Reva on GL, is one of the best soap characters in history.

by Anonymousreply 91December 21, 2019 3:53 AM

I liked Kim as Bonnie Harmon, and as Echo #1 and Echo #2. Was Slee the actor who she referred to in her book as someone who pulled strings behind the scenes to get her sacked from OLTL the second time?

by Anonymousreply 92December 21, 2019 11:18 AM

Someone of Slee's breeding would always look down on a Kim Zimmer Michigan trashy girl.

by Anonymousreply 93December 21, 2019 12:25 PM

I'm the poster who just watched the Ellen Holly Television Academy Interview. After that, I watched the Kim Zimmer interview. That was also good. Apparently they really dicked her over at OLTL. Fired her without giving her a reason after giving her an enormous salary. She sort of implies that her popularity was pissing off a few stars of the show. She doesn't name names, but one can wonder who would have been threatened by an actress like Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 94December 21, 2019 1:14 PM

R94 Your post is a bit confusing, sorry.

Who was dicked over and fired at OLTL - Zimmer, or Holly?

If Zimmer, was it the time she was on in the early 80s, or her post GL run?

by Anonymousreply 95December 21, 2019 1:36 PM

I'm sorry R95. Kim Zimmer was fucked over by OLTL during her Echo run. This is all according to Zimmer, they offered her a shit load of money for the role and they were going to make her a thing. Then she got fired and it came out of the blue. She implies that it was bigger stars on the show that forced ABC's hand to let her go.

by Anonymousreply 96December 21, 2019 1:48 PM

r96

are you talking about the 2nd time she came back?

by Anonymousreply 97December 21, 2019 2:18 PM

The first time in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 98December 21, 2019 2:23 PM

Thanks R94/R96/R98.

I wonder who the other star(s) were. Slee was at least publicly welcoming when Zimmer came back in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 99December 21, 2019 2:26 PM

I’m too young to have experienced her first stint, but her second time as Echo was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 100December 21, 2019 4:12 PM

Her second stint was also marred by some shit writing, and the fact that she was so Orcan that she really did read as the kind of girl a man would cheat on his rich wife with.

by Anonymousreply 101December 21, 2019 9:03 PM

Well, her second run as Echo was badly written...but also, by that time, Zimmer was phoning it in and just giving them Reva Lite. Echo Pt II had little or nothing to do wit Original Recipe Echo.

by Anonymousreply 102December 21, 2019 10:10 PM

Echo's zany last moments on the Llantano bridge:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 22, 2019 3:49 AM

Vicki slapped Echo and called her a pig. The writers were trolling Zimmer always having her carrying in takeout from a pig restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 104December 22, 2019 2:07 PM

Oh God Slezak was a terrible actress....ham on rye.

by Anonymousreply 105December 22, 2019 9:22 PM

I just watched Susan Lucci's run as Sheila Foley/Hillary Taylor on the original nighttime soap Dallas during it's final season and she's TERRIBLE

I was glad when April's sister killed her in retaliation for killing April on her wedding day to Bobby Ewing

by Anonymousreply 106December 23, 2019 8:59 PM

x Merry Christmas 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107December 24, 2019 5:59 AM

R107 Slee really hasn't aged much since the end of the show. Thankfully, Dano is wearing a fur hat, at first I thought it was her hair.

by Anonymousreply 108December 24, 2019 2:25 PM

R105 I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Remember when they had her play "Princess," a 6-year old alter of Viki's? It was soooo cringey and embarrassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109December 24, 2019 2:35 PM

Erika slezak as Elizabeth warren in a lifetime movie...

by Anonymousreply 110December 25, 2019 3:00 AM

Viki Slestack certain is looking like Elizabeth Warren in r107's photo.

by Anonymousreply 111December 25, 2019 10:51 AM

Thank god that's a hat Linda Dano is wearing in R107 's photo. For a minute I thought she'd stopped coloring her hair.

by Anonymousreply 112December 27, 2019 9:45 PM

My Dear Friends, As we come up to the closing of this decade, I find that I am more grateful than ever for all of the blessings that I have in my life. I have been given so much; I am very lucky to have a loving, close family, and I have friends whom I truly care about, and among those are all of you; wonderful people who have supported me in my work for so many years. Many of you I know, some I have never met, but all of you have been so important to me because I know that you are there and that you have enjoyed the work that I have done, and that has meant a great deal to me. Life goes on in a remarkable way for me, and I’m sure, for many of you. I have learned to accept what happens and to roll with the punches, and my faith in God has carried me through in so many instances. I do miss working regularly, but find that I am so happy at home, and when I have to go into New York City for an audition, I almost don’t want to go. But my wonderful agents are looking out for me, and if I can work once or twice a year, just to keep my hand in, I am quite content. Home is fun for me; lots of cooking, cupboards to clean, TV shows to catch up on, and books to read - my nightstand is piled high with books that I have put aside for years and that I am now slowly going through. I still have the attic to deal with, but I will put that off, probably forever. I sincerely hope that you are all well, and bearing up. It’s been a difficult time for all of us, no matter which political leanings you have, in terms of the political climate in this country; the unbelievable rise in senseless murders, the total lack of any kind of moral judgment from so many people – but we go on and do the best we can with what we are given. On a lighter note, I do, most sincerely, want to thank the remarkable people who have run our club for so many years. Walter Miller, our leader in chief, who just reminded me that I have been writing these letters coming up to 48 years. He has been an absolutely dependable and delightful friend for me since we first met in 1971. When he suggested that he start a fan club for me, I had no idea that we would still be going on this many years later, and it is really due to his diligence and persistence. Kit and AJ, two great ladies, have been invaluable to the club and to me. If I could have them run my life, I would. Finally I want to thank all of you for your friendship and loyalty, and wish you all a wonderful Holiday season and a happy, healthy and stress free 2020. With love and gratitude,

by Anonymousreply 113December 27, 2019 10:34 PM

Erika's 2019 Holiday letter at the link.

She's auditioning in NYC occasionally she says, and is pissed off about the political climate in the US. Susan, meanwhile, was best friends with Ivana Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 27, 2019 10:36 PM

Kathleen Noone and, of course, Julia Barr were the real ACTRESSES on AMC. Susan was the STAR however.

by Anonymousreply 115December 27, 2019 10:37 PM

Slee could act circles around every man, woman and child on daytime (and most of primetime too). She gave masterful performances day in and day out. She could have had Meryl’s career if she had left daytime, but she was loyal to OLTL and the fans.

by Anonymousreply 116December 27, 2019 11:13 PM

R114 Slee is a Republican too.

[quote]"Erika S Davies (age 73) is listed at ------- New Canaan, Ct 06840 and is affiliated with the Republican Party. She is a female registered to vote in Connecticut."

by Anonymousreply 117December 27, 2019 11:21 PM

R117 Slee is very much an old school Country Club Republican, not a Trump type Republican.

by Anonymousreply 118December 28, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote]Slee is a Republican too.

My opinion of her just dropped several notches knowing she is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 119December 28, 2019 12:44 AM

Strasser tweeted that the actress who played Addie passed away.

by Anonymousreply 120December 28, 2019 1:59 PM

R120- Pamela Payton Wright??? She was actually very good friends with Slee. (very good friends)

That is sad! I always liked her!

by Anonymousreply 121December 28, 2019 4:34 PM

A lot of soap actors are republican. A lot of soap actors are also very 'Jesusy'.

by Anonymousreply 122December 28, 2019 4:39 PM

I found it interesting that Erika makes it clear that she is embarrassed by Trump and the Republican Party, and the general state of the world. I agree on all counts.

I don't mind that she's a republican, as Lucci is a republican as well.

I think that they are both more fiscal republicans anyway..

by Anonymousreply 123December 28, 2019 5:00 PM

Viki Sleestak was a friend and confidant to the town's common whores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 29, 2019 10:34 AM

Erika at Linda Dano's Xmas party this year:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 29, 2019 12:41 PM

The actress who played Addie, Dorian's sister, has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 2, 2020 8:26 PM

R126 so sad I loved her as Addie.

by Anonymousreply 127January 2, 2020 8:28 PM

FYI a new article about AMC - a book on AMC and Agnes Nixon (among other topics) coming out from the same author in March

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 6, 2020 9:05 PM

When is OLTL being rebooted?

by Anonymousreply 129January 15, 2020 2:57 PM

Roscoe Born (Mitch Laurence) has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 7, 2020 1:49 PM

R129 Never.

by Anonymousreply 131March 7, 2020 1:57 PM

[quote] When is OLTL being rebooted?

On the same date that Scoche Marin has her first airdate as the new Katherine Chancellor on Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 132March 8, 2020 5:14 PM

Tell us more about Scoche’s credits

by Anonymousreply 133March 8, 2020 5:36 PM

R133 the ones that don't exist? LOL

by Anonymousreply 134March 8, 2020 11:17 PM

Scoche Marin has extensive theatre credits in SW California. Y&R will be one of her first TV credits when she plays nuMrs. Chancellor. This is a big break for her. Please do not be elitist. Her daughter Sjeil Marin will be playing the new Casey Reed.

by Anonymousreply 135March 9, 2020 1:41 AM

John Callahan AMC's Edmond Grey has died after a massive stroke at age 66.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 28, 2020 9:45 PM

reunion info!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 1, 2020 4:14 PM

I vote for not lucci, but the other one: one fine ACTRESS FOR THE AGES

LUCCI MERELY HAWKS SKIN SCHTICK

by Anonymousreply 138May 1, 2020 4:23 PM

Erika will be in the soap special coming up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 4, 2020 10:29 PM

It's great that they've been doing these reunions. Even Loving is going to have one in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 140May 4, 2020 10:37 PM

The Queen of Daytime (Susan, not Erika) is giving a solo interview to Alan Locher on May 7.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 4, 2020 11:28 PM

I loved Susan Lucci in Devious Maids.

by Anonymousreply 142May 5, 2020 1:21 PM

Alan Locker is interviewing Susan Lucci right now. Link below. It's just Susan on this show. No one else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 7, 2020 5:45 PM

Susan gives good interview.

by Anonymousreply 144May 7, 2020 5:59 PM

Susan is a great interview. Alan is doing a very good job with it. Hard to do a one-on-one interview like this. Bravo Alan!

by Anonymousreply 145May 7, 2020 6:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!