Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Get out and volunteer!

Why, with all these new viruses, your local hospital needs all the volunteers it can get!

So do it, or I'll kick you with my good leg!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170February 21, 2020 2:05 PM

We know Bert's sons make all the ladies moist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 5, 2020 1:53 PM

I'm volunteering for a free trip to Barbados. Of course, I'll have to avoid the psychotic Tallulah Bankhead look-alike and her karate loving lover running around searching for a damned doll and those awful Reardons who bought a cottage without her OK and wouldn't return it. Yes, poor Hilary Bauer had to die, the result of an exploding mail box, but someone has to be sacrificed since they now have Kim and la Bev under contract and are about to get Larkin Malloy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 5, 2020 2:06 PM

That's music box. Bad fingers! Bad fingers!

by Anonymousreply 3February 5, 2020 2:07 PM

Now with two flavors: Original Recipe Mo and You Have Broken My Heart Mo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 5, 2020 2:11 PM

Who were the gays on "Dark Shadows?" WE have Jonathan Frid, Louis Edmonds, Joel Crothers and who else?

by Anonymousreply 5February 5, 2020 6:21 PM

See Daniel Markel on Murder, She Wrote tomorrow—Thursday, 02/05/20 @ 8:00 AM on COZI TV. The episode is called Murder a la Mode (S11: E17). It takes place in Paris. I wish AW hadn't fired him. That face. That voice. That treasure trail.

They didn't let him be as hot on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 6February 5, 2020 6:28 PM

R5 Chris Bernau, later the original Alan Spaulding on GL, was on Dark Shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 5, 2020 8:27 PM

So there's a thread elsewhere on the DL about an Oscar-nominated actress, Catherine Burns, who basically fell off the map a few decades ago.

The article mentions that among her last professional credits was when she "submitted scripts" to GL.

I didn't think soaps worked like that, where they would "buy" scripts from an unaffiliated writer. Unless she did it during the writer's strike, I'm not sure what they mean......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 5, 2020 8:30 PM

Thank you for starting this new thread!

by Anonymousreply 9February 5, 2020 9:54 PM

R6 Did you also start the Sexiest Men on Murder She Wrote thread? LOL

by Anonymousreply 10February 5, 2020 10:32 PM

Honestly, Mother......can't you knock?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 5, 2020 11:29 PM

No, r10. Not me.

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2020 12:54 AM

R6/R12 Then enjoy! We'll have to make sure Danny gets an entry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2020 1:19 AM

James Cromwell was on Kelly & Ryan this morning. Very affable.

He's doing a Broadway play about a "gray divorce". Supposedly it's become a big thing where senior citizens are getting divorced.

Ryan asked him what that meant. James said he's been married 3 times and he finally got it right. His marriage now is the real deal. (Our beloved Anna finally found her happily ever after)

He did say one thing that made my ears prick up. Kelly/Ryan were praising Succession . They said you must be thrilled to be on that show. He responded semi-cattily, "I don't know if I'd say I'm thrilled to be on the show but I am thrilled to be working." Hmmmm........

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2020 2:51 PM

R14 I saw "Grand Horizons" on Saturday. It was very funny. Jane Alexander has a hysterical monologue that embarrasses her son (Michael Urie) but has the audience in stitches. Right after that, I went to see the play about Bess Myerson. The other "AW" Anna "Banana" (Holbrook) provided the off-screen voice for Bess Myerson. She came out at the end and looked gorgeous. I gave her a big "I recognize you, Sharlene!" round of applause, and she looked at me most appreciative. I saw her a year ago in the Off Broadway play "Daniel's Husband" where she played the mother of a gay man, loving and approving of the relationship (if a bit clingy) until her son is injured and becomes paraplegic, then she wants to take him away from the only man he's ever loved. I've also had the chance to see Mark Pinter, Steve Schnetzer, Ellen Parker and Denise Pence in recent Off Broadway plays as well.

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2020 3:14 PM

R8 She is also listed as the original Cathy Craig on "One Life to Live" (1969).

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2020 3:16 PM

R15 I am so jealous!

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2020 4:08 PM

Does anyone know when Scoche Marin will first air as the new Kay Chancellor on Y&R? We Y&R fans are thrilled that Scoche will be remaking Mrs. C. Esther had been keeping her on ice all of these years in the Chancellor basement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2020 12:37 AM

Don't bring that nonsense here, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2020 2:52 AM

I came across this list again today. So many good names on here.

But no Irene Dailey!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2020 3:38 PM

r20 That human piece of garbage, the "rly" in "Jarly," ahead of my mom, a.k.a. Lady Eyes-a-Buggin? And no Aunt Liz?

Obviously put together by a team of Big Fat Stupidheads.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2020 3:48 PM

r21 = Matthew Cory

by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2020 3:48 PM

RIP Pamela Lincoln who passed away last November. Recently seen on Retro as the delightfully scheming Doreen Aldrich (1977-1979) in re-runs "The Doctors" (who unfortunately turned into a kidnapping, murderous macadamia in her last months on the show), Pamela also played Nurse Ford on "A World Apart" (handing Susan Sarandon's baby to her in the last episode), Felicia Fleming Lamont on "Love of Life" (1974-1977) and Suzanne Alardyce, the widow of the president of a war-torn Spanish country on "One Life to Live" (1984). On "The Doctors", Doreen schemed against Kathleen Turner's Nola, even distracting her ex-husband Jason from watching his wife sing "One Halloween" from "Applause!" which nearly caused Kathleen to turn into Beverly Suptfin of "Serial Mom" on her. Camp movie audiences will remember as the screaming niece of Vincent Price's murderous wife in "The Tingler". Pamela was one of those commanding old school actresses who, like Marj Dusay, would make your head turn the moment she walked into a room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2020 4:00 PM

R21 Matthew - it was voted on by a few dozen journalists and industry folks. Very arbitrary, though the results were interesting.

Surprised Irene D didn't make the honorable mentions (though Anna Banana did)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2020 4:02 PM

If they did a list of the top scene stealers and Irene Dailey wasn't included, that would be a real travesty. I saw her with Frank Langella in Strinberg's "The Father", and her seemingly innocuous character takes over the big plot twist near the end. She is hysterical in her final "AW" episode where she walks into the Cory Publishing anniversary party (still living in Bay City although she hadn't been seen since Ada's funeral), and she walks around and barks at everybody from Matt and Donna to Carl and Rachel. Iris basically has to pull her off the platform when she asks her to say a few words and Liz proceeds to talk and talk and talk. I really missed her when I realized we wouldn't be seeing her again. I always wanted her to bring her grandson Rick to see Rachel, get him a job at Cory, and for Rick to turn out to be gay. Rather than be shocked, Liz would try to play matchmaker for him for every young gay man she knew in Bay City.

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2020 4:11 PM

Speaking of Bay City gays, r25, I always wanted Steven Frame and Luke Snyder to be boyfriends. And then they brought Vicky and her children to Oakdale. Whereupon they summarily blew it.

Later, though, we got Animal Kingdom, which united Steven and Luke in assfucking and cocksucking, if not love, exactly. We won't discuss the beating Luke put on Steven, which would never have happened in Oakdale. Of course, neither would the assfucking or cocksucking, or even a mistletoe-inspired kiss under the SFK clock at midnight on NYE.

It's so nice to be a second-class citizen.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2020 4:49 PM

I thought I'd seen every GL opening ever made but I don't think I remember this one....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2020 2:57 AM

Or this one (love the shot of Maureen Garrett at 0:14)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2020 2:58 AM

r27

was that fake Frannie with Ross?

by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2020 12:30 PM

Who is the guy in the first slide (0:06) in r28? I like him, but I don't remember him. I started watching in 1988 or 1989, so I remember that opening, but not that actor.

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2020 12:50 PM

Springfield should never have gotten rid of the opening that starts at 06:20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2020 12:53 PM

r30

I think that is Will JEffries... he was hot . He was married to Mindy

by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2020 12:57 PM

r32 Lucky Mindy. How could she ever have gone from that to Roger Thorpe?

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2020 1:04 PM

R29 Yes, that was Mary Ellen Stuart. She's a decent actress and I liked her on GL, but never liked her as Frannie. She was so different from Julianne. (Seriously.)

R30 That was Will Jeffries, who was married to Mindy for a bit and was part of the Sonni/Solita story. He was featured prominently in story for about a year and a half, two years.

He was played by Joseph Breen. He went on to ATWT to play Lisa's long lost son Scott, and lost his job there when his HIV status became public.

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2020 2:04 PM

Joseph Breen's story in a nutshell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2020 2:05 PM

(don't click on the link *IN* the We Love Soaps article, though, it's not working.)

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2020 2:07 PM

R30

That's Joe Breen who played Will Jeffries. He was so fucking talented. He was in the gloriously twisted Sonni/Solita story with the fabulous Michelle Forbes. God how I loved that story.

After GL he moved on to ATWT. They fired him when it came out he was HIV+. He had a drug habit. He was married with a couple kids. Years later he met wild child Carlene Carter. She calmed down & they've been married for eons now.

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote]He was played by Joseph Breen. He went on to ATWT to play Lisa's long lost son Scott, and lost his job there when his HIV status became public.

[quote]They fired him when it came out he was HIV+.

It was still Trach-Fitts-Caso when he got fired. It sounded so MADD / Minei-Behr. The last end credits of 1993 start at 36:00. He is named as an actor, but there's no pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 8, 2020 2:32 PM

R38 Not sure if it was the network or P&G that did the firing.

P&G certainly had HIV positive actors working for them in the past. I think the issue was more how the news came out (the Enquirer). Don't know if his issues affected his performance, punctuality, etc.

by Anonymousreply 39February 8, 2020 4:27 PM

He was playing opposite Lucinda (Liz Hubbard) and I have always suspected she had a hand in his firing. It was handled poorly both on and off screen.

by Anonymousreply 40February 8, 2020 4:37 PM

Scott was one of the all time wasted characters at ATWT.

The idea to bring him to the canvas was undoubtedly Doug's, but like Sabrina, I'm not sure there was a clear idea of what to do with the character after he arrived. And the post-Doug regimes just ruined the character.

There were parts of the Jonathan story at GL that were icky (like him dating his cousin) but THAT is who Scott should have been - someone angry at his mother and siblings who eventually comes to love them. We never really saw that, though.

by Anonymousreply 41February 8, 2020 4:42 PM

Scott and Neal were magic together. But I think once Mary Kay Adams left they didn't really have a B-plan for Scott.

Breen also hadn't endeared himself to anyone at ATWT before his firing. He bitched loudly and repeatedly about having to act in "mob scenes," referring to Marland's fabled and wonderful gatherings of half the cast or more into one place to give the show a sense of community.

by Anonymousreply 42February 8, 2020 7:18 PM

I always thought a great storyline would have been for Scott to return in the early 2000s with a wife and baby. Both Scott and his wife could have been addicted to drugs and the whole Town except Lisa refused to see it, until he accidentally killed his wife in a car accident and went to jail, leaving Lisa, Tom and Margo to raise the baby. That would have given Eileen a great final story.

by Anonymousreply 43February 8, 2020 7:55 PM

R43

Jonathan definitely hated his mother. He set out to destroy Tammy because of his hatred for Reva. He also lashed out at Reva for almost a year. It would've been nice to see him lash out at his half siblings but they weren't on the show.at that point.

by Anonymousreply 44February 8, 2020 8:07 PM

Sorry, I'm too busy working.

by Anonymousreply 45February 8, 2020 8:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 9, 2020 4:36 AM

r46 I wonder who played Marcy's "date"? I always thought we would find out Marcy was a's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 47February 9, 2020 5:36 AM

I'd all but forgotten Marcy existed.

I would have forgotten Linc too but....I mean, James Wlcek *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 48February 9, 2020 3:04 PM

Who else is counting. down to when Scoche Marin airs as nuMrs. C on Y&R? I cannot believe the show is making such a risky move.

by Anonymousreply 49February 10, 2020 2:04 AM

Are we sure she’s Katherine and not marge?

Will they recast Murphy? I wonder if that’s why Bryan Craig was spotted on the y&r set?

by Anonymousreply 50February 10, 2020 2:16 AM

Please ignore any and all mentions of Katherine Chancellor returning.

A, this isn't the Y&R thread.

And B, this is some lunatic posting this shit - the same one that likes to post about various P&G divas clogging the studio toilets.

by Anonymousreply 51February 10, 2020 2:17 AM

The Kay returns storyline will be up there with the best of Doug Marland and Pam Long

by Anonymousreply 52February 10, 2020 2:25 AM

THIS

is how one does it, by the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 10, 2020 2:29 AM

The Corona Virus scare has me thinking about the Dreaming Death storyline on GL from 1984.

Can anyone refresh my memory on how that all came about.

by Anonymousreply 54February 10, 2020 6:21 AM

Having Blake, Holly, Ed, and even Adam there made that return work so well. I had forgotten that Adam was at the wedding. It's too bad those scenes weren't with Sherri.

by Anonymousreply 55February 10, 2020 11:43 AM

R55 Barbara Berjer was also there as Barbara Norris, doing double duty as both Bridget on "AW" and "GL". She had left right after the Roger exposure (probably out of horror and disgust), but I have yet to find her in any of the clips, although I recall Holly mentioning her when I watched them on YouTube a while back. Later, Barbara was brought back on a recurring basis right before Bridget was killed off (although her ghost did make several appearances), but basically faded out by the time they brought Mary Stuart on as Meta. I guess they figured they didn't need two matriarchs, but I would have liked to have seen Barbara remain. Ms. Berjer was one of my favorite character actors on the soaps. There's an audio recording of her as Claire on "As the World Turns". I'd love to see her "From These Roots" character Lynn Franklin who was supposedly the show's wicked "diva".

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2020 1:04 PM

R55 That storyline involved Dr. John Stephens, aka Dr. Jim Reardon, incognito, working at the Cedar's Hospital Lab. I guess Ed hired him but sister Maureen knew nothing about him being back in town and since Ed had never met him, he had no idea that "John" was Maureen's brother. Jim had difficulties with hospital administrator Warren Andrews, but Alexandra stepped in with the board and prevented Jim from being fired. It was that indication that made the audience realize that Alexandra was actually very kind and rooted for the underdog. A lab mouse escaped, bit Leslie Ann Monroe (Warren's new wife of a few weeks), and she died. Jim and Claire ended up in the jungle somewhere, and this involved a character played by Adolph Caesar ("A Soldier's Story", "The Color Purple") and also introduced Fletcher Reed. It was also utilized as part of Alan's first exit. Hopefully someone else can clarify more details that don't sound so convoluted. The story was decent but not really memorable, and was followed up with the Reardon cottage story that took a bunch of people to Barbados and introduced the fabulously campy Susan Piper (Carrie Nye).

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2020 1:18 PM

R56

How did Bridgit die on AW?

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2020 1:54 PM

R58 I believe that she had a stroke. She was with Jake in the laundry room and they were having a beautiful conversation, rather tearjerking, and he told her how much he loved her and appreciated her. She suddenly collapsed and he rushed her to the hospital. It looked like she would survive but be incapacitated, but someone (I forget) came along and removed her life support. Donna, Marley and Vicki were all in tears. It was truly sad. She had been assaulted by Justine a few months before but survived.

by Anonymousreply 59February 10, 2020 2:45 PM

Anyone else follow Patrick Mulcahey on Twitter? I recommend it.

Someone asked him what are the favorite storylines he's written. He said off the top of his head: The return of Buzz Cooper, The Maya story on B&B and Nola's fantasy life and the Diane Ballard story.

His tweets have answered some of the behind the scenes info regarding budget, changes in storylines, etc.. If he wrote a book abut his life as a soap writer I'd for sure buy it.

Someone asked him which character or story he felt was most like himself. He said Mason Capwell because it mirrored his relationship with his dad. He also said Mason/Julia felt like 2 different variations of himself (minus the alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2020 3:02 PM

Thanks, R60!

Patrick has had some interesting interviews in the past and what he's sharing on Twitter is great stuff. I knew he had a long history at GL but had no idea he was one of the writers as far back as Marland's team - I though he came on board in the early 90s.

From what I know of him, I don't think he ever wants to be a HW (despite people clamoring for him to HW Y&R) and I don't think plotting is his strong point, but there's probably no one better out there in terms of dialogue and carving out shades and textures in a character. He wrote the Capwell dinner scenes that Marj Dusay slayed, and he also wrote (I believe) one of my favorite soap moments of all time, when Alexandra (Beverlee McKinsey) reads Roger the riot act in front of the entire town.

by Anonymousreply 61February 10, 2020 3:24 PM

Mulcahey really is a master at dialogue.. I had no idea he wrote that Alexandra take down of Roger. Just brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 62February 10, 2020 4:10 PM

R62 I *think* he did - not 100 percent sure, but he's written so many other great pieces of dialogue, and the timelines match, so I think it's him.

by Anonymousreply 63February 10, 2020 4:19 PM

R5 at an "All My Children" fan event, a woman asked Ruth Warrick if she and Louis Edmonds were an item off-screen. She replied, "No, he has someone else."

by Anonymousreply 64February 10, 2020 5:58 PM

R27 what were the "more truths" than she wanted to know?

by Anonymousreply 65February 10, 2020 6:13 PM

R65 Not sure what came next in that episode but I think Chelsea and Phillip eventually broke up because he admitted he was still hung up on Beth. I think Phillip was also planning his takeover of Spaulding around this time, and that may have been a factor, too.

How she gave up The Pendulous One for Johnny Bauer (blech) I'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 66February 10, 2020 9:33 PM

Y&R is trying to secure Mulcahey for the Mrs. C returns story. They know that his writing will sell Scoche Marin as Kay.

by Anonymousreply 67February 11, 2020 12:08 AM

What was GL's single best year in all its storied history?

by Anonymousreply 68February 11, 2020 12:55 AM

It's really hard to say, R68. Most of us only remember from the late 70s on, and it depends on when someone was a fan, but I'd say these are contenders:

- The late 70s when the Dobsons were writing - when Roger's deeds came to a head, and when Alan Spaulding and Hope Bauer were a big story.

- The Marland years (1980-82) - primarily because of Nola - first the story with Kelly, then her story with Quint. The introduction of the Reardons, and the Chamberlains, of course!

- 1984 - Pam Long's first tenure - the show is on fire with the Four Musketeers, the arrival of Alexandra, and then of Lujack. Some of Pam's second tenure (1987-1990) is really solid, but it doesn't quite get to the level the show was in 1984.

- 1991-1993 - Post Reva GL. No one story dominated but it was probably the best and the most evenly distributed the show had been.

There have been decent stories, or periods, after that point, but never quite to the level of quality the show had been at during these years.

by Anonymousreply 69February 11, 2020 1:16 AM

R69 Thank you for that!

It seems 89-90 were really good years but, aside from Beth and Roger's return which were written perfectly, there wasn't a huge story that jumped out during this time.

What was so great about the last 70's? Was the show really that good? I've heard great things on here. Was it considered to be really great in the 70's? I think the ratings were still really good.

by Anonymousreply 70February 11, 2020 1:30 AM

R70 The Dobsons knew how to kick it up a notch. I think it was considered very sophisticated to tackle marital rape at that time. And after the show went to an hour it really got more sophisticated. I think it had been a little more traditional and buttoned down before that. Some of the characters from the late 70s - Ed, Holly, Roger, Ross, Alan and even Philip - were still part of the show till the end or near the end.

by Anonymousreply 71February 11, 2020 4:50 AM

I was too young when Nola was doing her fantasies but it seems to be it would be annoying or boring but I've heard a lot of raves about it. Was it popular with a broad variety of viewers or just gays? I've only seen gays raving about it online so I was curious.

by Anonymousreply 72February 11, 2020 9:23 PM

It was really her redemption story, R72.

Nola initially was a total schemer and had trapped Kelly into thinking she was pregnant with his baby. He eventually learned the truth and dumped her.

Nola's fantasies underscored how she viewed the world - that she was a ne'er do well that was trying to find her way. A few of her fantasies specifically included Quint (after they met).

They weren't on, like, every week or anything. But it was an innovative way to give insight into her as a character and frame the Quint/Nola stuff as the suspensful romance that Doug Marland was writing it as......

Some of the better ones aren't on YouTube - this one was her dream about Quint as she was hanging out with Josh Lewis (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 11, 2020 9:30 PM

Nice analysis r73.

As r73 said, you can view many of her movie fantasies on YouTube. That gives you a sense of what they were about. But you miss the context of fantasies. They never came out of nowhere. The fantasies were always commenting on where the story was. The storyline usually lead into the specific fantasy. And often what happened in those fantasies also commented on other characters storylines too, at least in a passing way.

When Nola was struggling with her longtime feelings for Kelly and her burgeoning feelings for Quint, her mind went to Cassablanca where Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) struggled with her feelings for Rick and Victor Laszlo.

When she was beginning to have feelings for Quint, she went to Wuthering Heights.

I came to GL in May 1982. The soap mags had raved about the movie fantasies, so I was curious to see them. They were quite clever at the time. But watching them again now, I must admit they loose a little bit.

Wish all of the fantasies were on YouTube. And wish there was master list of them and what storyline circumstances lead Nola into having them.

by Anonymousreply 74February 11, 2020 10:49 PM

True, Aunt Liz. The fantasies aren't as powerful now, since we know the ending of those stories. There's also been a lot of shows since (daytime and nighttime) that have done similar stories or themes (some all about the inner thoughts of someone).

But then again, all soap stories lose a bit in the retelling when they are out of context. I was talking about the Alex/Roger country club showdown the other day, but those who missed any/all of the preceding few years (or indeed, any of Roger's prior deeds) would not appreciate the impact of those scenes.

I agree, it would be great to see all of them together - maybe with associated scenes to help introduce them.

by Anonymousreply 75February 12, 2020 12:19 AM

R75 I don't know- Roger's take down hold up very well. The way the lines are delivered and what was said is still very powerful.

by Anonymousreply 76February 12, 2020 12:39 AM

It is powerful on its own, but understanding what he did to everyone adds to the devastation and impact.

by Anonymousreply 77February 12, 2020 4:07 AM

Anyone have the clip of Roger's take down or the episode date?

by Anonymousreply 78February 12, 2020 6:33 AM

This collection of Nola's movie fantasies provides some of the establishing scenes and/or after scenes for the fantasies, therefore offering some context.

It includes, (1) Dracula, (2) Jane Eyre, (3) Now Voyager, (4) Wuthering Heights, (5) Casablanca, (6) Rebecca, (7) Camelot, (8) Maltese Falcon, (9) Murder on the Orient Express and (10) Wizard of Oz.

Note these seem to be in the order in which they appeared on screen, thus offering some evolution of the Nola-Quint relationship. Also note the Maltese Falcon, Murder on the Orient Express and Wizard of Oz ones were written by Pam Long. The others were by Doug Marland.

The Wuthering Heights one even has a scene with Nola's best friend Gracie in the establishing scene. The Casablanca one has lawyer Derek Colby. Both are supporting characters we've discussed some here on these P&G threads.

The Rebecca one has Gracie as well as Helena Manzini.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79February 12, 2020 8:30 AM

Well, my Youtube posting above didn't work like it was supposed to. It was supposed to go from one video directly into the next -- that's what it does on the YouTube site. Sorry about that.

Anyway, here's Jane Eyre with the before and after scenes to provide context.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 12, 2020 11:53 AM

Here's the Now Voyager fantasy.

Although the YouTube poster did not label it as such. Perhaps he/she didn't recognize it was Now Voyager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 12, 2020 11:55 AM

Here's Wuthering Heights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 12, 2020 11:56 AM

Here's Casablanca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 12, 2020 11:57 AM

I love the scene where Nola meets Joan Bennett, one of my favorite leading ladies of the 1930's, 40's and 50's. She mentions actors from "Dark Shadows" (not Chris Bernau interestingly enough), and Joan truly loves the attention and the fact that she won't be forgotten with young people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 12, 2020 1:01 PM

Bennett's soap acting hadn't improved much even though it was no longer live to tape.

by Anonymousreply 85February 12, 2020 1:02 PM

That scene at R84 reminds of one of the things that's missing in soaps now. The aspirational, yet complicated, young female character. Nola was a great character.

by Anonymousreply 86February 12, 2020 1:09 PM

I had always heard he was fired then I heard he quit

by Anonymousreply 87February 12, 2020 2:27 PM

Thanks, Aunt Liz! You are a treasure.

I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable soapity soap person, but it is news to me that Pam wrote a few of the fantasies. (Or that they happened during Pam's tenure.) I thought that was all Doug.*

*Minus, of course, the 1995-97 Nola return, which tried a few fantasies - that whole sad era.

by Anonymousreply 88February 12, 2020 2:27 PM

R87 who?

by Anonymousreply 89February 12, 2020 2:27 PM

R78 Yes! Have a seat and watch this fantastic series of scenes.

The fact that Beverlee did not win an Emmy for this is one of the great travesties of soapdom. She does EVERYTHING in these scenes - from heartbreak to vicious attacks on Roger and every point in between. You root for her from the moment she appears on screen. One of GL's finest moments.

Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90February 12, 2020 2:30 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 12, 2020 2:30 PM

Part 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 12, 2020 2:30 PM

Part 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 12, 2020 2:31 PM

The catches in her voice when she apologizes to others in Springfield in Part 4.....always get me.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 94February 12, 2020 2:33 PM

R90 - r93 When did this episode run? I saw it, but all I can remember is "sometime around 1992."

by Anonymousreply 95February 12, 2020 2:46 PM

I believe it was Independence Day 1991 - or somewhere in that week. It was one of the first really big Nancy Curlee stories to go off. Pam Long's stuff ended in late 1990/early 1991 and they'd spent a few months sort of moving the chess pieces around before this.

by Anonymousreply 96February 12, 2020 2:48 PM

How I miss that show's good periods!

by Anonymousreply 97February 12, 2020 4:09 PM

R97 I will MARY! right behind you on that one!

by Anonymousreply 98February 12, 2020 4:13 PM

There is apparently a stand alone thread/discussion on James Rebhorn aka Bradley Raines from GL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 13, 2020 9:17 PM

R90

Thanks to your clips I fell down the Alexandra rabbit hole. There has never been a more electric actress on Daytime. She could seamlessly change from gleeful to bitching to abject rage to broken all in an instant.. She also had the ability to make you root for Alex even when she was doing nasty things because she always let the undercurrent of pain flicker.

Yeah...MARY!

by Anonymousreply 100February 13, 2020 10:15 PM

I was just over on the James Rebhorn thread talking about his performance of Bradley Raines. I reminded people that it was Bradley who revealed Phillip was not a Spaulding.

That lead me to go back and watch those reveal scenes over again. Fantastic work all the way round. Chris Bernau and Tom O'Rourke was stupendous. Rebhorn was amazing as you could literally feel him seething with vengeance.

But it was Grant who just knocked these scenes out of the ball. He'd only been on the show 9 months when they gave him these scenes. Not many shows would give such meaty material to such a new young actor. It's no wonder Phillip grew to be one of show's tentpole characters after what he did in these scenes.

And Pam Long seemed to adore Phillip. After Reva, she gave more story material to Phillip than any other character. Phillip was always front burner.

Enjoy the video below from August 1983.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 13, 2020 11:50 PM

R100 That's why I always loved Beverlee. She was that way as Iris too.

by Anonymousreply 102February 14, 2020 12:04 AM

R101 She wrote the hell out of Reva, Beth and Phillip.

by Anonymousreply 103February 14, 2020 2:03 AM

R103 That was the good and bad thing about Pam, especially during her first stint as headwriter.

She was very good at a few characters, and not as good with writing a whole show.

by Anonymousreply 104February 14, 2020 3:21 AM

She also wrote Alex, Alan and Lujack very well. Actually, she wrote most characters really well.

by Anonymousreply 105February 14, 2020 3:32 AM

R105 I'd respectfully disagree about Alex. She wrote Alex's introduction well and captured Alan and Alex's relationship perfectly, but there was a long stretch until Alex became involved w/Fletcher, then Roger where she was woefully utilized.

by Anonymousreply 106February 14, 2020 3:46 AM

And Lujack was mostly written by the writers after Pam One and before Pam Two.

by Anonymousreply 107February 14, 2020 3:46 AM

Pam did burning love really well. Her couples had fire.

by Anonymousreply 108February 14, 2020 3:51 AM

Yes, I still remember Reva and Josh pining for each other with Springsteen's "I'm on Fire" playing in the background.

by Anonymousreply 109February 14, 2020 3:55 AM

^^^^

Yep. I re-watched that scene about a month ago.

by Anonymousreply 110February 14, 2020 1:13 PM

R110 If you find it again on YT please link here.

by Anonymousreply 111February 14, 2020 3:09 PM

r111, go to 19:34.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 14, 2020 4:58 PM

All this talk of La Bev's Alexandra has brought back memories.

I can't remember all the details but I remember scenes where she's trying to explain to LuJack or Nick that she is his mother. IIRC she's in her drawing room and she becomes more & more frantic as he won't believe her. She even brings out IIRC a music box.

Those scenes were so good. Does anyone else remember them? Any idea how I could find them on Youtube? I can't even narrow down the year because I can't remember if it was Lujack or Nick

by Anonymousreply 113February 14, 2020 10:14 PM

r113 Those were scenes that aired in early May 1984. Alex was desperate to convince Lujack that she was his mother.

by Anonymousreply 114February 14, 2020 11:24 PM

Here it is r113

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 14, 2020 11:24 PM

I forget if Eric Luvoneczech (sp?) was ever introduced. I remember hating who they brought on briefly as the Baron von Halkein. Both were big missed opportunities. And Locke Walls was an awful love interest for Alex.

by Anonymousreply 116February 15, 2020 12:38 AM

R56, the shows can't help it when folks like Charita and Don McLaughlin die, but I would have had Holly's mom back; also Adam, who only died IRL recently.

The BIG mistake after Maureen died, I'll always feel, was not bringing back Claire right away and mixing her up with Ed, Holly, Roger and Fletcher.

Also, bring back Elvera Roussel as Hope and plant her in the Bauer kitchen as the new matriarch/talk to.

by Anonymousreply 117February 15, 2020 1:25 AM

R116, yeah, they brought on Eric after Nick came on; he couldn't be sympathetic, selling one of Alex's twins.

And I agree about the Baron and Locke, tho I don't think Bev and the guy who played the Baron actually shared scenes?

The only two men around her age that Bev ever had chemistry with were Zaslow and Bernau (not sexual chemistry with Bernau).

by Anonymousreply 118February 15, 2020 1:27 AM

R8 ,good question. I got my WGA card writing scripts for a soap (they didn't air, but I was paid and therefore got the points needed to join the guild).

When I croak, every spec of dust I was ever able to stir up -- scripts that didn't air, extra work (I sat behind a juror once in a film) -- is going in my death notice.

People will laugh at it, but at least I'm giving it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 119February 15, 2020 1:31 AM

If they didn’t want to bring on Elvera Roussel, they could have hired Robin Mattson. Santa Barbara has just been canceled, she played Hope before Elvera, and she had a good relationship with Jill Farren Phelps.

Also, Roger had flirted with a teenage Hope, I believe. I think she would have been interesting opposite Michael Zaslow.

by Anonymousreply 120February 15, 2020 1:43 AM

Mattson would have played Hope like Gina Capwell, Heather Webber, or Deila Reid Ryan Ryan Coleridge Crane.

If they were looking for that energy, then yes, by all means. She really sold that line when she said 'I'd have gotten away with it -- if it weren't for Luke Spencer and those meddling kids!'

I have nothing against Mattson, but I preferred Linda Gibboney as Gina; I preferred Randall Edwards as Delia (she was the first one I'd seen - not Ilene), I even preferred Mary O'Brien as Heather; she played Heather with an eerie Sheila Carter hypnotic thing going on. I preferred Kate Collins as Natalie AND Janet.

Trying to think what role of Mattson's I liked her in. I guess Tiffany's pal on Charlie's Angels?

Seriously, Mattson always looks like she's about to heave before each line..."aaahh ahHHhh...URRFF TREVORRR"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2020 1:50 AM

just to finish...GL needed a matriarch, an every mom; e.g. Bert, with her and Maureen, gone, Elvera would have filled that void

Mattson's Hope would have poisoned Alan.

by Anonymousreply 122February 15, 2020 1:52 AM

Yes but she would have poisoned Ron Raines ‘ Alan so that wouldn’t have been so bad

by Anonymousreply 123February 15, 2020 1:57 AM

ha! I walked into that one.

had Bernau lived, it would have made sense to bring back Elvera, too; as they had been paired together.

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote] just to finish...GL needed a matriarch, an every mom; e.g. Bert, with her and Maureen, gone, Elvera would have filled that void

But sadly, Maureen being gone was a feature, not a bug, for The Powers That Be. Any characters that lended any sort of character or texture to the canvas were gone or pushed very far in the background.

by Anonymousreply 125February 15, 2020 2:03 AM

R118

I thought Bev had chem with Fletcher. Not so much romantic chem but friends/cohorts with an underlying desire for more.

by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2020 11:45 AM

I thought one of the cute stories near the end was Alexandra and Cyrus. Shades of Simon and Alexandra years before.

by Anonymousreply 127February 15, 2020 10:27 PM

Why would they think it was a good idea to put Alan and Beth together? And to add insult, she bore him a child. Fucking disgusting.

Alan always had a begrudging respect for Beth even though he thought she was below Phillip's class. During the CB's years as Alan, he could never get the best of her. Any time he would attempt to demean her, she had a way of calmly letting him know what he said did not bother her in the least. Judi Evans had a great way of delivering her lines to CB's Alan that dripped with an "I don't really care what you think of me" attitude.

by Anonymousreply 128February 15, 2020 11:08 PM

The troubles all began when the announcer at GL stopped saying "Fashions by Barney's!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 15, 2020 11:10 PM

R115

Thank you so much for finding the scenes of Alexandra, Lujack and the music box! How did you ever find it? La Bev was so great. She truly was a marvel.

What a wonderful episode that was. Alexandra revealing she was Lujack's mother. & being rejected. The seeds being sown ever so slowly for a Beth/:Lujack relationship. The emotional & sexual push pull between Josh/Reva. The emotional death of Warren's wife.

Just wonderful soap drama and that was probably a Tuesday & not a Friday because back then we had must see TV every day.

Once again. Thank You.

by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2020 6:46 PM

R113/R130 So true.

I am in tears after your post.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2020 7:02 PM

Is it true GL originally wanted to bring Lujack back in 1991 but since Beth had just married Phillip and moved away with him they didn't want to break them up by bringing Beth back without Phillip?

I seem to remember the story was going to be that the Infinity group had made it look like Lujack died and whisked him away to some Chinese prison where he heard about Beth being alive (he had heard she died years earlier and lost all interest in escaping). Once he heard she was alive, he escaped his captors and made his way back to Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2020 8:44 PM

I'd never heard that, R132, but it does seem weird that they would have brought Lujack back without Beth there.

I still think it's weird that neither Phillip nor Beth set eyes on Lujack - not even for a few scenes.

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2020 9:05 PM

So they changed the story line to be about Lujack's twin, Nick. It is a real head scratcher they did not have a Beth/Nick story line.

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2020 9:58 PM

I find it amazing how GL, which was considered to have some of the best acting in daytime and the show was considered great in the late 70s, did not get a single Daytime Emmy nom or win until 1980 for Best Show and not a single nom or win until 1894 for Acting when Judi Evans won for Supporting as Beth Raines.

Why did they ignore the show for so long?

by Anonymousreply 135February 16, 2020 11:55 PM

Just got lost in the shuffle, I think.

by Anonymousreply 136February 16, 2020 11:57 PM

There wasn't really a Daytime Emmy show to speak of until the mid-70s - there were smatterings of awards for soaps here and there for a few years but I think it was 1975 or 1976 when it looked more like the show we know today.

AW and the Agnes Nixon ABC soaps were very dominant in those early years. GL and ATWT had sort of frowsy, old fashioned reputations.

by Anonymousreply 137February 16, 2020 11:59 PM

R137 Yes it was the mid-70s. AW and SFT were getting noms and were old shows. I am just surprised GL wasn't when it was thought to be very good esp acting wise. Even when it won Best Show in 80 and 82, there were no acting noms.

by Anonymousreply 138February 17, 2020 12:25 AM

Agreed, not sure why it took so long.

by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2020 12:36 AM

Even after the 84 break through, it struggled to get many nominations and wins for anything until 89 and after. Zimmer and Gates were exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 140February 17, 2020 2:04 AM

ATWT was the Emmy hog for a lot of the late 80s

by Anonymousreply 141February 17, 2020 2:45 AM

Why did they kill off Lujack only to bring on Nick?

by Anonymousreply 142February 17, 2020 4:24 AM

Those were years apart - 7, I think?

When Irizarry left they didn't think he'd ever come back.

by Anonymousreply 143February 17, 2020 6:26 AM

GL killed off Lujack in Nov 1985 when Vince Irizarry's contract was up and he didn't want to renew.

Nick McHenry arrived in July 1991 when Mindy saw him at an event in San Francisco and recognized him as looking exactly like Lujack.

During those 6 years, Irizarry tried his hand at Hollywood and had some success, the biggest being a role in the Clint Eastwood film Heartbreak Ridge and a TV miniseries Lucky Chances. But he ended up doing Santa Barbara for two years (1987-89) in there too. That's where he met JFP who brought him back to GL soon after becoming EP in 1991.

In an interview I read somewhere (perhaps I heard it on a podcast), Pam Long explained she was still a relatively green HW when Irizarry said he wanted to leave GL in 1985. She didn't realize that actors often leave to try greener pastures but soon want to return to the show when they don't quickly find stardom. So, thinking he was gone for good when he said he was leaving, Long killed off Lujack in a big way, giving Beth and Alexandra big emotional goodbyes with him. Long hinted that she would have handled Irizarry's leaving differently if she had more experience as a HW, leaving some wiggle room if he changed his mind and wanted to return later.

No idea why JFP decided to make him Nick rather than bring him back as Lujack. But as suggested upthread, bringing back Lujack without Beth there really would make no sense.

by Anonymousreply 144February 17, 2020 9:14 AM

WOW! I had no idea it was 6 years between Lujack's death & Nick's arrival. Everything is so fuzzy after all these years.

Anyone know the approx dates of Lujack's death? I'd love to see Judi & La Bev do their thing.

by Anonymousreply 145February 17, 2020 9:22 AM

Where did LittleMissSeattle go?

by Anonymousreply 146February 17, 2020 9:27 AM

Where did LittleMissSeattle go?

by Anonymousreply 147February 17, 2020 9:27 AM

The interview with Vince Irizarry linked below indicates that it was EP Robert Calhoun who recruited him to come back to GL in 1991.

[quote]I came back to Guiding Light in 1991 when [the late] Bob Calhoun was the executive producer. I had recently starred in Lucky Chances, the Jackie Collins mini-series, when Bob wanted to talk to me about coming back onto the show. I said it wasn’t the best time, but he said let me reach out back to you again. Six months later, he did. I came back to New York to meet with [late co-head writer] James Reilly and Bob over lunch. There were discussions about the storyline and I came back, but within no time both Bob and James had left the show!

You can also read about his audition for Lujack in that same interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 17, 2020 9:30 AM

[quote]Anyone know the approx dates of Lujack's death? I'd love to see Judi & La Bev do their thing.

This website indicated Lujack died on Dec. 2, 1985 following a boat explosion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 17, 2020 9:37 AM

Nancy Curlee was the HW during one of GL's golden eras. I looked her up on imdb and was shocked to learn her only writing credit was her time at GL.

WTF? Why is that? I would think another soap would've snatched her up or she would've moved up to primetime. She brought GL multiple Emmys and her GL run was phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 150February 17, 2020 1:09 PM

Nancy wrote for GL for a very long time and when she left I think she left to raise children, so she was just *done*

by Anonymousreply 151February 17, 2020 3:52 PM

R151 GL was cursed I tell ya. So much "bad luck"in such a short amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 152February 17, 2020 10:36 PM

Interview w/Curlee from near the end of GL's run. (There's a podcast out there from around the same time w/Pam Long.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153February 17, 2020 10:57 PM

Q: At its heart, what do you believe Guiding Light is all about?

Curlee: For me, the Guiding Light was always a porch light, just outside the Bauer’s kitchen. Outside, a bad moon may be rising, forces gathering to do you harm, foes behind bushes…Outside, friends may be treacherous, lovers untrue… But if you ran like hell, and made it to the porch, and banged through that screen door, inside there would be warmth and light and the smell of good things cooking.....Guiding Light was about love and home truths and compassion prevailing. For me, anyway, that’s what it was all about.

SOB!

by Anonymousreply 154February 17, 2020 11:04 PM

I'm here, SDFT/R146! It's comments like this that draw my ornery, Marland-worshiping ass out:

"ATWT was the Emmy hog for a lot of the late 80s"

(In Lucinda's voice) Well, I'll roll around in the mud with that hog any old time, darling, whilst pretending I'm in a hot tub with Dr. John Dixon! Seriously, though... ATWT deserved every Emmy it got, and in fact, should have had more for my queens Elizabeth Hubbard and Kathryn Hays. Oh, and Kathleen Widdoes. And Lisa Brown. (Okay, I'll stop...)

HAVING SAID THAT: I do appreciate GL for the great show that it was, and absolutely loved it all through the Eighties. I *really* wish there was as much GL Eighties stuff on Youtube as there is ATWT Eighties stuff, but it really is slim pickings. Even the insanely popular couples like Phillip/Beth and Billy/Vanessa don't seem to have devoted channels, or threads, or whatever you'd call them. So instead I started to watch "Jammy's Story" (Jonathan and Tammy) and I have to admit that Tom Pelphrey has really drawn me in, with his crude mannerisms and leonine face. Also, both Kim Zimmer and Robert Newman kicked ass in that story, as improbable as it was.

by Anonymousreply 155February 17, 2020 11:22 PM

R155 I wrote the Emmy hog post.

It wasn't a diss, and I loved ATWT then too. Between 1985 and 1988 ATWT was unbeatable - it was fun to watch ATWT and then GL!

by Anonymousreply 156February 17, 2020 11:35 PM

R154

I'm sobbing right along with you.....................

Her kids should be grown by now. She needs to get back in the soap game.

by Anonymousreply 157February 18, 2020 12:05 AM

R156, I was just giving you the business, didn't mean to sound harsh. Both shows were awesome. GL lost me in the early Nineties. In the Eighties there was something so wild and fun about it-- big hair, big shoulders, big everything. In the Nineties it got so serious and sedate. But then, that happened with all the soaps to various extents. To me, it just seemed the most obvious on GL, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 158February 18, 2020 12:24 AM

So glad you wrote back, Little Miss Seattle. I'm going to let this response process quickly, as Muriel had closed the thread earlier, but now it has been restored.

I'm very, very sick today—cold, flu, IDK—and I will write a more detailed response when I'm feeling better.

by Anonymousreply 159February 18, 2020 12:28 AM

The soap profiler guy who makes all the character profiles for GL characters has inexplicably not made one for Beth Raines. How? Why?

by Anonymousreply 160February 18, 2020 2:12 AM

R159 Hope you feel better soon! We need the SDFT troll here. Who else will protect us from DDD?

by Anonymousreply 161February 18, 2020 2:20 AM

Ah, yes... Drew Dixon. He would have "blended" so well on ATWT, wouldn't he? None of those pesky "personality traits" or "human weaknesses" that Marland just INSISTED on giving his characters.

by Anonymousreply 162February 18, 2020 3:08 AM

r160 Good question.

by Anonymousreply 163February 18, 2020 3:59 AM

Terrible sound but a bit of Marland here.

And OMG, this is almost 40 years ago....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 18, 2020 10:03 PM

Thanks for posting that video r164.

I didn't realize Harding Lemay was writing for GL when it won the Writing Emmy. But there he was up on stage with Marland as he accepted the award.

That means Lemay won one Emmy for HW of AW in 1975 and another for being on the GL team in 1981.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 20, 2020 9:37 AM

I knew Lemay wrote for GL, on and off a number of times. But like you, Aunt Liz, I did not know he was part of Marland's winning team.

He was hired as a consultant many times, at ATWT, GL and if I remember correctly, OLTL as well.

by Anonymousreply 166February 20, 2020 3:33 PM

Where is everyone?

Has this thread been paywalled already?

by Anonymousreply 167February 21, 2020 1:32 PM

I hope not, Aunt Liz!

I wonder if we've been TOO successful at hiding our titles.

by Anonymousreply 168February 21, 2020 1:59 PM

I just saw a comment in the Y&R thread that this has indeed been Murieled.

I'll go build us a new thread. BRB

by Anonymousreply 169February 21, 2020 2:00 PM

and here's the new P&G thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170February 21, 2020 2:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!