Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #368: "The Has There Ever Been a Musical Called GO FUCK YOURSELF?" Edition

Drama queen r20 is invited to respond, in her usual charmless and community-spirit-minded way.

[quote]go fuck yourself. And we know exactly what will happen if you try to lamely start 368 with one of your stupid titles. You're not clever at all, though you clearly think you are.

LINK TO PREVIOUS THREAD:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 7, 2019 4:24 PM

Yes, but star Faye Dunaway got fired before the show got to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2019 8:44 PM

Can we start posting here now that Muriel has locked down thread 367?

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2019 2:05 PM

I think so. They need a link in the old thread.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2019 2:11 PM

This one will rise to the top. Once the old one gets locked, the life goes out of it immediately.

And, OP, this is a theater thread. Needless arguing is inherent.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2019 2:26 PM

I just read a 1986 paperback novel called "The Original Cast" by a former Broadway dancer named Kristen Valbor. She was in "Brigadoon," "Guys & Dolls" etc.

It's a backstage story about developing a new musical in 1953.

Reading that she died last March makes me think how ephemeral our lives are, except to those who knew us - - and those people will be gone some day, too. She did a decade of landmark musicals, published a book ... but who knows the name Kristen Valbor?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2019 2:52 PM

DL is so much less fun these days. Registering, locked threads, popups to pay. Losing interest.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2019 2:58 PM

Re: R5

Sorry - how unintentionally mean. It's spelled [bold]Kirsten[/bold]

Kirsten Valbor.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2019 3:01 PM

Yes, I have to post all my theater thoughts before I get locked out.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote]who knows the name Kristen Valbor?

She was no Kristen (original fired Annie) Vigard. The damn sun won't come out tomorrow because they changed the damn concept of the show and hired that damn girl that could belt but couldn't act her way out of a speeding ticket.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2019 3:49 PM

Let's talk about Gypsy and Follies!

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2019 6:00 PM

It's a shame Imelda didn't get to enjoy what Angela did - a London tryout and a Broadway finish.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2019 6:05 PM

I say we just abandon the thread as soon as it gets locked.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2019 6:23 PM

Who does that cunt (R 20) think she is? Patti Lupone?

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2019 6:47 PM

I posted this on the "Did Yoko ruin John" thread, but I'll post it here as well because it's such a throwback to a kinder, gentler era.

(It's better than A Chorus Line, my ass!!) And the poor old women who just seems stunned at what she saw!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2019 6:52 PM

Did that Beatlemania show appear before that Bee Gees etc. Sgt. Pepper movie? Was Allen Klein behind all that almost premature nostalgia?

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2019 6:56 PM

Well, that R20 wouldn't know a "kinder, gentler era" if it fucked her up the ASS!

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Reply 20 hasn't been posted yet, has it?

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2019 7:01 PM

It was R20 from the old thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2019 7:04 PM

Wow, this thread is wretched so much earlier than they normally are.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2019 7:10 PM

Yay I’m r20.

Let me have it!

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2019 7:13 PM

[quote] Did that Beatlemania show appear before that Bee Gees etc. Sgt. Pepper movie? Was Allen Klein behind all that almost premature nostalgia?

It did. However, the Bee Gees Sgt. Pepper movie was actually based on a 1974 Off Broadway musical called Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on the Road, which got horrendous reviews, but was doing decent business when it closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2019 7:16 PM

r21

Thanks. Boy, that catalogue has been milked like no other.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2019 7:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2019 7:19 PM

I have to laugh when people get pissy in the other thread about moving to a new one. There'll be two posts in seven hours but "we can't abandon ship."

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2019 7:20 PM

The [italic]contretemps[/italic] that birthed this thread, back in the old one, was kind of like this -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2019 7:24 PM

Someone on the other thread asked if the lights would dim for Phyllis Newman.

I think the honor should be rescinded simply for inflicting the supremely untalented Amanda Green on us.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2019 7:30 PM

Whenever I hear the name "Phyllis Newman" (and being a DLer...), I think of Stritch's "I neve liked you" in FOLLIES IN CONCERT.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2019 7:33 PM

*"I never liked you"

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2019 7:33 PM

R1 What was your post about Faye Dunaway in reference to?

I know she was fired but was the context of your reply? thanks

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2019 8:04 PM

This thread was craeted the same week Dunaway had been canned for screaming and cursing at the backstage crew of her play. So she would have been the star of a play called "Go Fuck Yourself".

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2019 8:08 PM

No, the title of this thread is in reference to a Hall Monitor/OCD type from the previous thread.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2019 8:10 PM

povo thread

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2019 8:11 PM

[Quote] I keep reading about threads being “locked,” which allegedly includes this one. What does that mean? Only paying customers are allowed to post in a locked thread?

Yes, which is why the theatre threads are crawling along.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2019 8:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2019 8:18 PM

[quote]r31 No, the title of this thread is in reference to a Hall Monitor/OCD type from the previous thread.

Yes. But the first reply was in regards to the Dunaway situation - couched in answering the OP question.

That's what r29 was asking about.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2019 8:22 PM

Speaking of that debacle, I guess they haven't lured a name to take over from Faye.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2019 8:24 PM

Is she still hiding in Europe? I doubt she has money to settle the lawsuit from her assistant.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2019 8:27 PM

[Quote] If you subscribe, this is not a problem, as we are so never see it, but apparently yes, popular threads become subscriber only and people, who say hilarious shit like, "Datalounge should pay me for the amazing content I supply', refuse to pay the pittance and set up threads with bizarre obtuse titles, or, in the case of these threads, set the next one up earlier than needed to say 2.00 a month

"If you subscribe, this is not a problem, as we are DO...."

[Quote] They are poverty threads

You write poorly.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2019 8:38 PM

"If you subscribe, this is not a problem, as we DO...."

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2019 8:39 PM

They are not "poverty threads." I was a paying member until Muriel took away our ability to block threads. I would be a paying member again were she to restore blockability. Not paying again until then.

The "poverty threads" guy: Wowie! He must be rich as shit. He can afford $20 a year.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]Speaking of that debacle, I guess they haven't lured a name to take over from Faye.

I’m far too busy with my writing.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2019 8:48 PM

It's shame he can afford electricity with the kind of repetitive shit he posts.

[Quote] Rannalls got fat as fuck

[Quote] Rannalls got so FAT

[Quote] Trying to think what character Rannalls is playing as none of the characters are described as having gotten fat as he has given up hope

[Quote] Rannalls needs a girdle, or zero light, to possibly look good

I suspect ever day is "Friday drinkie poos" with this one...

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2019 8:48 PM

r42 You'd think he'd've figured out how to spell "Rannells," to boot.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2019 8:55 PM

R42 R43 I shall use your tears for lube

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2019 9:12 PM

[Quote] I shall use your tears for lube

You'd have to find your cock first.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2019 9:22 PM

[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2019 9:27 PM

R45 ....your tone sounds very pointed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2019 1:09 AM

I enjoyed the Raul Julia documentary on American Masters (except for the Man of La Mancha clips, yipes, no, Raul, no, but at least we were spared Sheena E). How had I forgotten he starred in Nine and Two Gentlemen? I was hoping for more from Threepenny Opera, which I saw back in the day and loved. Blessedly, we got the long clip of Raul and Meryl in Shrew, which I'd never seen before. I saw her in Happy End, and you'll have to tear the Playbill out of my cold, dead hand.

Going back a couple of threads, that clip of Do You Love Me? from the Yiddish Fiddler, wait, am I crying?! Anyone know if the production will tour?

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2019 1:12 AM

Fun fact: Joe Papp seriously considered Meryl Streep to succeed him as Artistic Director of The Public Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2019 1:25 AM

Considered her? Like she'd ever accept?

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2019 1:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2019 1:48 AM

Jeezus Sheena, lemme show ya how to do it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2019 1:51 AM

Isn't her tempo kind of...fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Considered her? Like she'd ever accept?

She actually did consider it. And it was before she became *Meryl The Star*. It actually would have been a good gig because she would have been one of the few female artistic directors in the US. It was already a well established theater with an extraordinary reputation. She wouldn't have to work that hard (the staff picks and chooses most of the shows and makes recommendations) and she could do movies on the side like Kevin Spacey does.

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2019 2:05 AM

Considering she was nominated for an Oscar for her second film, I'd say she was a star pretty much from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2019 2:24 AM

As good as Anne's.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2019 6:42 PM

Given what's claimed to have gone on at Betrayal, have any DLers done a Michael Arden and masturbated in the theatre?

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2019 10:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote]Given what's claimed to have gone on at Betrayal, have any DLers done a Michael Arden and masturbated in the theatre?

Wait, can you please bring me up to speed? What's gone on at Betryal, and why would Michael Arden be involved? I would personally hope he was caught blowing Tom Hiddleston.

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2019 12:12 AM

[quote]I sure hope that Rhianna remembers this playwright because his play is crashing.

This article suggests that Riedel is lying about "Slave Play" being a box-office bust:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2019 12:37 AM

This is a great article in the New Yorker on Matthew Lopez:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2019 12:41 AM

R59 A poster on ATC said they were at Betrayal during which a woman was behaving very oddly, and basically the only thing which would explain her behaviour is that she was masturbating.

It was said in past Broadway sex threads that Arden and some other guy, during the rehearsals of some show, went off into the balcony and left a mess on the seats for the FOH staff to clean up.

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2019 12:57 AM

I think Broadway needs to bring back Ute Lemper. She was terrrrrrrrrific!

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2019 1:13 AM

Bring back Uta Hagen. That would be really impressive.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2019 1:21 AM

Will Jean do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote]Bring back Uta Hagen. That would be really impressive.

Uta, Aga, Aga, Uta. Uta, Una . . .

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2019 1:27 AM

[quote]Bring back Uta Hagen. That would be really impressive.

Not it wouldn't. Uta Hagen was the hammiest ham that ever hamboned across any stage. My god, that woman chewed scenery in her theater and then started on the scenery in the theater down the street.

Her Mrs. Klein was a snoozefest. And while Collected Stories was an interesting play, Che-rist you could anticipate every action and voice inflection five minutes before she did it.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2019 1:45 AM

Blanched Uta................

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2019 2:04 AM

I'm disgusted by the behavior of the writher of Slave Play, What a sycophantic, celebrity-worshipping asswipe. Does he have any idea how foolish he sounds when he talks like that? And why on earth would the stage manager have allowed him to hold the curtain? Even if I had wanted to see the play, I wouldn't now, after reading his comments. I don't think he would have anything to say that I want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2019 2:24 AM

I saw Uta Hagen as Mrs. Clandon in a 1986 production of Shaw's "You Never Can Tell" at Circle in the Square. It's supposed to be a comedy of errors, but Uta's dour, depressed portrayal dragged down the entire production. I remember that the New York Times review said of her performance that the role of Mrs. Clandon "didn't play to her strengths," rather than saying that she stank up the theater. The role didn't play to her strengths, so I guess it was Shaw's fault she was so bad.

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2019 2:36 AM

R69 Presumably if he doesn't mind people using their phones he won't object to someone recording a bootleg.

The most tedious part of this all is the amount of people acting like not wanting people to text is only from those wealthy enough to attend the theatre regularly - which totally misses the fact that people at the cinema get equally pissed about it, hence the rise of places like Alamo Drafthouse. But I guess the wealth issue lets them try and pretend it's a social justice issue, rather than having no consideration for other people.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2019 2:49 AM

The play is an incomprehensible mess so don't bother seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote]why on earth would the stage manager have allowed him to hold the curtain?

Good question, though to be fair, most Broadway shows never really start on time anyway (it seems the curtain almost never rises exactly at 8, more like 8:05), so if we're talking 8:15 here, sure, that's beyond the norm but I just wonder how much the audience really noticed -- i.e., many may not have at the time and only got pissed about it later after hearing what the real holdup was.

[quote]I guess the wealth issue lets them try and pretend it's a social justice issue, rather than having no consideration for other people.

This is a very good point.

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2019 3:37 AM

Oh my gosh this season is gonna be the worst of all time. Even worse than last year. It's only WSS vs. Company for revival. For new musical Moulin Rouge has it in the bag. Up against TINA, JAGGED LITTLE PILL, LIGHTNING THIEF. My goodness. It's truly dead!

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2019 3:45 AM

Maybe this is the year "Hazel" will come in!

by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2019 3:49 AM

It never occurred to me that texting was a wealth issue. To me, it is 100% about consideration of your fellow audience, whether it is a play, concert, or movie. It is distracting, and takes you out of the moment.

I wonder if the producers are just milking the curtain holding for publicity's sake. Given that, as someone upstream mentioned, curtains don't usually rise at 8 -- I did not know that -- they might hold the curtain even longer for Slave Play because it does not have an intermission. Be that as it may, the author sounds like a complete twat.

by Anonymousreply 76September 19, 2019 3:49 AM

It's also amusing that he's acting as though holding the curtain and texting during the show is absolutely normal. If he really thought it was so normal, why did he feel the need to tweet about it to begin with?

I think it was just a poor attempt to brag that he has Rihanna's phone number. Though his tweet suggesting allowing people to text during plays would save theatre from dying was a reach. Maybe he should write better stuff so that people don't need to reach for their phones in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2019 4:00 AM

I wonder how he would feel about people FaceBooking during a show? (I've seen this.....at TFANA.)

by Anonymousreply 78September 19, 2019 4:52 AM

Few theaters start exactly at the designated start time. Curtains are usually held for at least 5 minutes to allow for late arrivals and if the weather is bad they'll hold a bit longer. It's just common sense.

by Anonymousreply 79September 19, 2019 5:36 AM

But how many theaters feel the need to tweet that they deliberately held the curtain for one particular celebrity audience member?

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2019 6:47 AM

[quote]Uta Hagen was the hammiest ham that ever hamboned across any stage

Across the screen, too. Check out her big scene in "The Boys From Brazil." It's with Larry Olivier, so between the two of them, there are teeth marks all over the scenery.

(Go to 1:09 for a small taste of Uta's deviled ham)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 19, 2019 7:49 AM

[quote] I just wonder how much the audience really noticed -- i.e., many may not have at the time and only got pissed about it later after hearing what the real holdup was.

I was at that performance, and I, along with many others I noticed nearby, seemed annoyed or worried that something was wrong, such as a sick cast member or set malfunction I was in the mezzanine, and because there is a giant mirror at the back of the stage that shows a reflection of the whole audience, we could all see Rihanna and her crew sashay in 20 minutes late and take their seats in the orchestra. I agree with the person above who called Harris a twat for holding the curtain and condoning texting during a show. It has nothing to do with race, even if Harris wants to make that the issue.

by Anonymousreply 82September 19, 2019 8:19 AM

[quote]Good question, though to be fair, most Broadway shows never really start on time anyway (it seems the curtain almost never rises exactly at 8, more like 8:05), so if we're talking 8:15 here, sure, that's beyond the norm but I just wonder how much the audience really noticed -- i.e., many may not have at the time and only got pissed about it later after hearing what the real holdup was.

The published curtain time is 8:00 but the actual show is unofficially but universally always 8:07. Very rarely is the entire audience seated and ready by curtain time so thru the years this time has been adapted. Shows that are long will always state curtain promptly at 8:00 like Les Miz and mean it. But don't tell anyone because they really want you in and ready at 8:00.

by Anonymousreply 83September 19, 2019 9:14 AM

I know it is not Broadway, but every show I have seen at radio city music Hall starts exactly on the dot

by Anonymousreply 84September 19, 2019 12:15 PM

But no one has topped Hagen's Martha in WAOVW.

by Anonymousreply 85September 19, 2019 2:08 PM

Who the fuck would want a bootleg of a piece of shit like Slave Play? As an instrument of torture, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 86September 19, 2019 2:30 PM

[quote]no one has topped Hagen

That I believe.

by Anonymousreply 87September 19, 2019 2:37 PM

[quote]Shows that are long will always state curtain promptly at 8:00 like Les Miz and mean it.

Les Miz had to start on time because they would have to pay their actors overtime at a certain point. That's why the Broadway production cut the show down (Gavroche's song "Little People" was cut drastically). Also, they have to end on time because of the children. You can't have child actors roaming Times Square at midnight looking for their ride home.

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2019 2:46 PM

[Quote] You can't have child actors roaming Times Square at midnight looking for their ride home.

Drat.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2019 2:51 PM

I waited on Uta one evening in a bistro on the UES and afterwards she blew chunks on the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 90September 19, 2019 2:53 PM

[quote]Across the screen, too. Check out her big scene in "The Boys From Brazil." It's with Larry Olivier, so between the two of them, there are teeth marks all over the scenery.

I have no doubt that Glenn Close learned how to chew scenery from Uta Hagen on the set of "Reversal of Fortune."

by Anonymousreply 91September 19, 2019 2:56 PM

Who is chunks, r90?

by Anonymousreply 92September 19, 2019 2:57 PM

The Other...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 19, 2019 2:58 PM

What the hell were you serving in that bistro, R90? Pork tartare?

by Anonymousreply 94September 19, 2019 2:59 PM

A whole thread about curtain time. YAY!

by Anonymousreply 95September 19, 2019 3:00 PM

A whole thread about curtain time. YAY!

by Anonymousreply 96September 19, 2019 3:00 PM

I remember when Dustin Hoffman did Merchant of Venice on Broadway. They stated in the NY Times advertisement that pagers had to be turned into house management upon arrival. I can see Dustin throwing a huge fit, "I will not enter the playing area until I am assured that every last doctor in the audience has turned in his pager. "

by Anonymousreply 97September 19, 2019 3:12 PM

Shit. Sorry, it wasn't Uta in that bistro, it was Stella. My mistake. They were so much alike, imperious and self-aggrandizing. And when Stella blew chunks, chunks went everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 98September 19, 2019 3:15 PM

I assume she did it with a soupçon of glamour, r98.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 19, 2019 3:20 PM

Scenery? When did I eat scenery?

by Anonymousreply 100September 19, 2019 3:27 PM

W/W, r100!

by Anonymousreply 101September 19, 2019 3:29 PM

[quote]Also, they have to end on time because of the children. You can't have child actors roaming Times Square at midnight looking for their ride home.

Do the kids appear in the last part of the show? I know they'd miss their curtain call, but if bedtime and/or midtown safety was really an issue, couldn't they just be sent home when they're done?

by Anonymousreply 102September 19, 2019 3:38 PM

^^ Sorry - in reference to R88 discussing Les Miz

by Anonymousreply 103September 19, 2019 3:39 PM

Any guesses which actor will be playing Bobby in the American Buffalo revival. Has to be a film star.

by Anonymousreply 104September 19, 2019 4:03 PM

I listened to the record of Virginia Wolfe when I was a kid, as Columbia House Records sent me a copy by mistake. I thought Uta was amazing and I pretty much memorized her line readngs. I thought she was fine in the few movies I saw her in. When she returned to the stage, I saw her in at least 3 shows. I was so shocked at how hammy she was! What a letdown!

by Anonymousreply 105September 19, 2019 6:32 PM

[quote]Virginia Wolfe

Oh, dear. I guess they don't teach literature at the Richmond School for Girls.

by Anonymousreply 106September 19, 2019 6:42 PM

Also, it was four LPs.

by Anonymousreply 107September 19, 2019 7:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 19, 2019 7:09 PM

Why the FUCK are people going on about some meaningless stage actress like Uta Hagen?

by Anonymousreply 109September 19, 2019 8:21 PM

Fuck off IreenEEE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 19, 2019 8:26 PM

She had a remarkably stupid-sounding name. It's no wonder she never became a movie star with a dumb name like that.

by Anonymousreply 111September 19, 2019 8:34 PM

Anthony Quinn, who played Stanley opposite Uta in the replacement cast of "Streetcar" on Broadway, told the story of one night at the end of the "tiger, tiger" rape scene. The lights were supposed to black out, and they didn't. He looked at Uta in terror and whispered "What do I do?"

"Rape me!" she hissed.

by Anonymousreply 112September 19, 2019 8:40 PM

Uta Hagen's daughter (with Jose Ferrer), Letty (Leticia) Ferrer. Imagine being the child of two hams like Uta and Jose.

The marriage broke up because of Uta's secret affair with Paul Robeson. She craved the BBD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 19, 2019 8:48 PM

[quote]Anthony Quinn, who played Stanley opposite Uta in the replacement cast of "Streetcar" on Broadway, told the story of one night at the end of the "tiger, tiger" rape scene. The lights were supposed to black out, and they didn't.

They must have had a stage manager that was a drinker.

Kim Hunter told me in the original that there was a point where Marlon Brandon picked her up and carried her into the bedroom (was this the end of the STELLA!! scene). The lights were supposed to go out but they didn't, so Marlon just opened the closet door and went into the closet.

by Anonymousreply 114September 19, 2019 8:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 19, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]Uta Hagen's daughter (with Jose Ferrer), Letty (Leticia) Ferrer. Imagine being the child of two hams like Uta and Jose.

Letty worked the office at HB Studios and indeed she was a ham. People would approach her to sign up for courses and she would talk to them in different accents. I think she was too lazy to pursue a career in acting. She just liked sitting at the desk and pushing paper around.

by Anonymousreply 116September 19, 2019 8:52 PM

The guy sitting beside Sean Hayes in that clip went into porn, right?

by Anonymousreply 117September 19, 2019 8:56 PM

Stella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 19, 2019 9:30 PM

R118 Am reading The Art of Acting at the moment. Boy, but Stella shits on all the biggies, and her refrain is 'I am the only teacher that actually trained with Stanislavsky, the rest are fake trash'. I kinda love her

by Anonymousreply 119September 19, 2019 9:35 PM

What would Stella say about holding the curtain so a celebrity can see the show?

by Anonymousreply 120September 19, 2019 10:19 PM

Playwrights sound off about cell phone usage in theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 19, 2019 10:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 19, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote]The guy sitting beside Sean Hayes in that clip went into porn, right?

Hard to tell. Who were you thinking he was?

by Anonymousreply 123September 20, 2019 1:31 AM

I don't know his name. I think it was only JO stuff. Legendmen - one of those sites. There was a thread here on it.

by Anonymousreply 124September 20, 2019 1:37 AM

Never thought I'd have to defend Uta Hagen here. Her book, RESPECT FOR ACTING, is important and useful. Like one previous poster, I fell in love with that Original Broadway Cast record of VIRGINIA WOOLF, especially Hagen. And seeing her in MRS. KLEIN and COLLECTED STORIES -- two of my top 10 lifetime theatergoing experiences, and I've been going for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 125September 20, 2019 2:38 AM

So Tuc Watkins and Andrew Rannells have come out as a couple.

It feels like Tuc could do better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 20, 2019 2:39 AM

What's not to love?

"Insulin? My ladies not diabeTICK, yavol"

by Anonymousreply 127September 20, 2019 2:46 AM

You know how Scott Rudin is producing Cinderella? Remember how we was producing Groundhog Day? The same thing happened.

by Anonymousreply 128September 20, 2019 3:07 AM

Woman files suit over "Mockingbird" stampede:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 20, 2019 4:43 AM

[quote] So Tuc Watkins and Andrew Rannells have come out as a couple. It feels like Tuc could do better.

What does that even mean? You are talking about two complete strangers.

by Anonymousreply 130September 20, 2019 9:59 AM

So Tuc is a top? I wouldn’t have guessed that.

by Anonymousreply 131September 20, 2019 1:45 PM

Thanks, r125. Hagen was an amazing actress and a lovely woman. I interviewed her in her Washington Square apartment late in her life and she was warm, funny, and smart.

by Anonymousreply 132September 20, 2019 1:51 PM

Uta's husband was a nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 133September 20, 2019 3:44 PM

Took this photo at the Hal Prince exhibit at the NY Public Library in Lincoln Center. It's Flo Klotz ogling and measuring Bob Holiday for his Superman costume. Look at that fuzzy chest! Bob's, that is, not Flo's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 20, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]Uta's husband was a nutjob.

Jose Ferrar or Herbert Berghof?

by Anonymousreply 135September 20, 2019 4:06 PM

You mean faux ogling, r134.

by Anonymousreply 136September 20, 2019 4:19 PM

It's true, Rudin dropped Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 137September 20, 2019 6:00 PM

R134, Flo Klotz couldn’t have cared less about that hunk of man meat in front of her.

by Anonymousreply 138September 20, 2019 9:31 PM

Not necessarily true. He could have lured women to her, Suddenly Last Summer style.

by Anonymousreply 139September 20, 2019 9:43 PM

You bet your ass, r138!

by Anonymousreply 140September 20, 2019 9:48 PM

[quote] Uta's husband was a nutjob.....Jose Ferrar or Herbert Berghof?

But was Berghof a good man?

by Anonymousreply 141September 20, 2019 11:11 PM

"Chasing Rainbows," the Judy Garland musical at Goodspeed, in rehearsal.

Mostly, it doesn't look too good. And the kid playing Mickey Rooney is going to regret having his arms tattooed like that. Makeup can only hide so much, and there's no CGI in theater to get rid of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 20, 2019 11:11 PM

I don't know what some theatre queens see in that yodelling Margarita woman.

by Anonymousreply 143September 20, 2019 11:33 PM

I'm a bit reminded of....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 20, 2019 11:33 PM

She has a good face but there's nothing of Judy in the voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 20, 2019 11:35 PM

Which one of you old whores had Judy Garland's father? Cut? Uncut?

by Anonymousreply 146September 21, 2019 12:14 AM

In other news...

My own darling Mamie is starring in a Kushner revival at the Public! I think some other people are in it too.

UNSTOPPABLE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 21, 2019 12:45 AM

[quote]r120 What would Stella say about holding the curtain so a celebrity can see the show?

[italic]"USE IT!"

by Anonymousreply 148September 21, 2019 12:48 AM

[quote]She has a good face but there's nothing of Judy in the voice.

She's too chirpy for Judy and she doesn't have Judy's diction, which is the easiest part of Judy to imitate. Judy's tone is a difficult to imitate because she had such a mature voice, even as a young girl.

[quote]"Chasing Rainbows," the Judy Garland musical at Goodspeed, in rehearsal.

This looks really bad. The women are not singing in the 1930s style. Their pop belts don't fit the music. The little girl playing Shirley Temple is good. Everyone else is mediocre to bad. Not Broadway worthy in the least.

by Anonymousreply 149September 21, 2019 1:15 AM

[quote] "Chasing Rainbows," the Judy Garland musical at Goodspeed, in rehearsal. Mostly, it doesn't look too good. And the kid playing Mickey Rooney is going to regret having his arms tattooed like that. Makeup can only hide so much, and there's no CGI in theater to get rid of them.

Actually, it's the Tony Award winning Paper Mill Playhouse. I agree about the tattoos, I would never hire an actor who covers himself like that. Shows he's not really serious about his craft and I ain't paying the make-up bill to cover them. Anyone recognize that rehearsal studio? Paper Mill is usually on 42nd St.

by Anonymousreply 150September 21, 2019 1:39 AM

The little girl playing Shirley Temple is execrable.

She has none of the charm and sincerity of Shirley Temple. She is as phony as can be.

But really, with that score, what does any of it matter?

by Anonymousreply 151September 21, 2019 1:52 AM

Has Max von Essen settled down with someone? Haven't heard any gossip about him in years.

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2019 2:05 AM

The clip from their rehearsal is... much better than most rehearsal room clips that Broadway.com has posted over the years. The musical might be a dud but they at least have it together in the videos

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2019 2:09 AM

Who's the blond that goes sashaying by in the scat number? Is she an actress playing a character or just some reporter returning from the bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2019 2:13 AM

The clips are certainly better than those of TovahGYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2019 2:13 AM

Speaking of someone unnecessarily covering up his body with tattoos, Ramin Karimloo is doing a concert version of Jesus Christ Superstar in Tokyo.Telly Leung is also in it. I bet Telly will at some point beg Ramin to fuck him but Ramin’s in a committed marriage to a lady so it’s probably no bueno.

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2019 3:13 AM

[quote]Has Max von Essen settled down with someone? Haven't heard any gossip about him in years.

Max had a lovely boyfriend for some years, but it has very recently ended. Max's loss, to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2019 3:48 AM

Chasing rainbows is awful. Seen a few incarnations of it.

No reason to be and not written well. Why people do it is a mystery

Rent the Andrea mcardle TV movie rainbow. It’s the same story. But the show writers won’t admit it is

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2019 12:17 PM

I saw a recent run of Chasing Rainbows before they left for tech at Paper Mill and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's a little long, and I questioned some choices here and there. But overall, I was satisfied by it, and found it to be darker than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2019 1:18 PM

How dare you R159.

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2019 2:02 PM

Yeah, I know. I was just as skeptical as anyone about it, and still hate the "Road to Oz" subtitle. But I liked the girl a lot. And I know he gets ragged on quite a bit here, but Max sings so beautifully. He's great to listen to. Good cast and some big dance numbers. I don't know what it will be when it all comes together, but compared to some of last season's musical atrocities, this was an easy sit for me.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2019 2:22 PM

[quote]Which one of you old whores had Judy Garland's father?

Darling, “Judy Garland’s father” is DL fave Max Von Essen, so the answer would “who hasn’t has him?.” And it's cut, and perfectly lovely, but not huge.

by Anonymousreply 162September 22, 2019 2:33 AM

Jackie Hoffman just tweeted:

Justice Jeanine Pirro just called Brett Kavanaugh the closest thing she seen to an altar boy. He strikes me more as a priest who is extremely close to an alter boy.

Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 163September 22, 2019 4:28 AM

Finally on yt. La LuPone’s tv version of I’m Still Here performed as her character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 22, 2019 11:09 AM

^^ in character

by Anonymousreply 165September 22, 2019 11:11 AM

If I never hear "I'm Still Here" again, it will be too soon.

by Anonymousreply 166September 22, 2019 11:46 AM

But then, what will the over-the-hill women sing?

by Anonymousreply 167September 22, 2019 11:48 AM

It's time for "When I'm Drunk, I'm Beautiful" to supplant it.

by Anonymousreply 168September 22, 2019 12:06 PM

[quote]If I never hear "I'm Still Here" again, it will be too soon.

Same here. I like the song but many women should just sing it in their showers. Too many bad versions have been allowed out in public.

by Anonymousreply 169September 22, 2019 1:00 PM

I'M STILL..... HAIR!

by Anonymousreply 170September 22, 2019 3:04 PM

Who controls Sondheim's catalog? He just lets his music be whored out to anyone who can drag themselves onto a stage and sing it with whatever interpretation they feel like putting on it.

by Anonymousreply 171September 22, 2019 3:09 PM

The man is 89 years old, soon to be 90. Rightly or wrongly, Sondheim wants his music everywhere before he goes. Rumor is that he's deeply concerned about being forgotten.

Hence the endless revivals, revisals of earlier songs and scripts, tributes, etc. (I never need to see COMPANY or FOLLIES again, frankly.)

He seemed genuinely happy and touched to be at the ENCORES revival of ROADSHOW. When he passes, it will end an entire era of theatre.

by Anonymousreply 172September 22, 2019 3:37 PM

The ugly, the brain-damaged, the fat fraus stuffing Lion King cupcakes in their pieholes, the hundreds of M. Butterfly and Hedwig t-shirts nobody wants, the obsessive little acne'd suburban fairies looking for SpongeBob Squarepants playbills, no bags when you purchase unless you pay 2 bucks for a hideous blue thing with a logo on it, the sweaty, smelly, soccer moms who push you out of the way because they think they see Barry Manilow (they don't.He wouldn't go near this trash) who you then have to elbow slam to keep them from trampling over you-------Welcome the BC/EFA annual flame market. Oh, wait-they're bidding on Phyllis Newman's corpse.

by Anonymousreply 173September 22, 2019 4:13 PM

Sorry. Annual Flea Market. Although, flame works, too.

by Anonymousreply 174September 22, 2019 4:15 PM

The great unwashed waiting in a ridiculous line for a chance to get Gavin Creel's autograph, "Oh God, I LOVE you", said no one.

by Anonymousreply 175September 22, 2019 4:17 PM

I'm also sick of hearing I'm Still Here, but Tracey Bennett's version in the NT revival was a revelation. Instead of it being a song about survival, she made it a song about being angry at being ignored -- I'M STILL HERE, DAMMIT! -- and it was magic.

by Anonymousreply 176September 22, 2019 4:42 PM

It’s a beautiful day out for the Flea Market, though. Same was true yesterday for the Steuben Parade here in NYC. Proof that God loves the queens and the krauts.

by Anonymousreply 177September 22, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote]Tracey Bennett's version in the NT revival was a revelation

That whole production was so well thought-out. Beginning the song by having her talk to a news crew was a great way to get into the song.

by Anonymousreply 178September 22, 2019 4:45 PM

It's a shame if that production doesn't come to New York. There was room for improvement. Vicki Clark could still play Sally.

by Anonymousreply 179September 22, 2019 4:53 PM

Vicki Clark would be wonderful as Sally, but sadly, I think the prime audience for (yet another) FOLLIES revival is posting here on this thread. (I saw the recorded version of the NT production and thought it was swell.)

There's not a wide enough paying audience for another big expensive Sondheim revival, as I predict the new COMPANY production will demonstrate. The diehards will all see it early on, and discuss it to death... and it will close in under a year. (Sorry, Patti...)

by Anonymousreply 180September 22, 2019 5:14 PM

So stay home, cunt. No one's asking for you.

by Anonymousreply 181September 22, 2019 6:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182September 22, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote]Who controls Sondheim's catalog? He just lets his music be whored out to anyone who can drag themselves onto a stage and sing it

Pretty much, those are the rules. He has no control over what someone sings in a cabaret or club or concert setting. The song has been published, and as long as the ASCAP license is paid (or BMI), no one has to ask Sondheim's permission. So Patti's CHARACTER wouldn't have needed permission. But for the song to be used in the TV series, that required permission.

by Anonymousreply 183September 22, 2019 8:27 PM

[quote]Vicki Clark would be wonderful as Sally

That bitch is 60 and looks much older. Time for Kelli O'Hara to play Sally. She's sliding towards 50ish.

by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]and it will close in under a year. (Sorry, Patti...)

What do I care? I'm only committing through Tony season. Six months and I'm outta there.

by Anonymousreply 185September 22, 2019 8:30 PM

I was thinking of someone who could play opposite Janie Dee, who is mid-50s, I think. New York deserves Dee's Phyllis after Maxwell's far too loveable screwball heroine take on the role.

by Anonymousreply 186September 22, 2019 8:35 PM

Why didn’t Manhattan Theater Club (or someone else) do a 40th anniversary revival of Ain’t Misbehavin’? It’s the best jukebox musical ever.

by Anonymousreply 187September 22, 2019 9:27 PM

[quote]Why didn’t Manhattan Theater Club (or someone else) do a 40th anniversary revival of Ain’t Misbehavin’? It’s the best jukebox musical ever.

And it's quite cheap to produce. It would have been an excellent fundraiser.

by Anonymousreply 188September 22, 2019 9:33 PM

I know a theatre that did Ain't Misbehavin' recently and got tons of shit from the SJW community about supposed stereotypes. For the life of me, I don’t see what’s wrong with it.

by Anonymousreply 189September 22, 2019 10:17 PM

R189 Was it a colour blind production?

If you are skipping the Emmys, here is Fleabag Live, to compare to the TV version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2019 11:13 PM

[quote]I know a theatre that did Ain't Misbehavin' recently and got tons of shit from the SJW community about supposed stereotypes. For the life of me, I don’t see what’s wrong with it.

In the original, Charlaine hated her role. She thought they made her character too goofy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 22, 2019 11:18 PM

[quote] If you are skipping the Emmys, here is Fleabag Live, to compare to the TV version

I saw this last night in the theater. I sat next to a woman who laughed uproariously at everything. I wanted to say to her, "You know that Phoebe can't hear you, don't you?"

I liked the tv version. In the stage show, it got a bit static with PWB just sitting there the whole time. And I thought the sound effects were annoying.

by Anonymousreply 192September 22, 2019 11:26 PM

R117 His name is Jon Fleming. It was a solo for theguysite. He was also on Dantes Cove seasons 2 & 3. More recently, he was a stripper/prostitute for Adonis Lounge in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 193September 22, 2019 11:37 PM

R156 Ramin seemed happy enough to spend his affections on Yu Shirota, so he clearly has a predilection for rice whatever his wife thinks about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 22, 2019 11:55 PM

Yeah, and Connor Jessup was rice queen to DL until...

by Anonymousreply 195September 23, 2019 12:03 AM

R178, that is how the staging was in the original production. Carlotta begins talking to a small group and later they disperse turning the remainder of the song into a soliloquy.

In fact I think it is in the original script. (Though Goldman's widow later revised it so that Carlotta is only talking to Wiessman).

And that staging is described in Everything Was Possible on page 256.

by Anonymousreply 196September 23, 2019 12:33 AM

From now on, can everyone please annotate their postings (whatever the topic) with a page number from Everything Was Possible?

"And lo on the third day, the lord Hal created Yvonne De Carlo and she puteth the make on me." - Everything Was Possible, 126:17

by Anonymousreply 197September 23, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote]r163 Stupid cunt.

was that part of her tweet?

by Anonymousreply 198September 23, 2019 7:48 AM

I wonder if Ted Chapin left out the real dirt - like, Yvonne blowing him on their 15 minute breaks, and things like that.

by Anonymousreply 199September 23, 2019 8:29 AM

If you thought Billy Porter was an insufferable queen before winning an Emmy, just wait - you ain’t seen nothing.

by Anonymousreply 200September 23, 2019 9:29 AM

And if he gets an EGOT . . . lord help us.

by Anonymousreply 201September 23, 2019 1:54 PM

He's already got a massive EGO. Please make it stop.

by Anonymousreply 202September 23, 2019 2:15 PM

Yea He's up there yelling LOVE but when I met him and congratulated him on his Tony win he was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 203September 23, 2019 2:40 PM

Please stop with the EGOT love. It's misplaced.

by Anonymousreply 204September 23, 2019 2:52 PM

With the massive quantity of Emmys and Grammys given each year, EGOT has become meaningless

by Anonymousreply 205September 23, 2019 3:38 PM

How many EGOTS are there?

by Anonymousreply 206September 23, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote] I know a theatre that did Ain't Misbehavin' recently and got tons of shit from the SJW community about supposed stereotypes. For the life of me, I don’t see what’s wrong with it.

Who was that singer I saw you with last night, Oh, 'dat wasn't no singer, Wait a minute! You mean to tell me you didn't admire that girls beautifully-rounded toes, Ha Ha! I was surprised to see her up there, I didn't know she could sing that way, Never could! Well, how'd she get that job, One never knows, do one?

I'm sure that would go over VERY well in the era of #metoo

by Anonymousreply 207September 23, 2019 4:01 PM

The idea that Les Mis has to start on time so that the kids can get home is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 208September 23, 2019 4:02 PM

[quote]The idea that Les Mis has to start on time so that the kids can get home is laughable.

Laugh all you want. It's true.

by Anonymousreply 209September 23, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote] Laugh all you want. It's true.

No it isn't. It's about overtime pay. The cost of transporting those kids (who all have chaperones) is negligible.

by Anonymousreply 210September 23, 2019 4:15 PM

In Ain't Misbehavin', I think some of the lyrics of the song Black and Blue may prove to be a problem.

All my life through I've been so black and blue

I'm white inside, but that don't help my case

'Cause I can't hide what is on my face

by Anonymousreply 211September 23, 2019 5:51 PM

Who wants to hang with the McDonald-Swensons and Gavin Creel in the Lido Lounge next year? Book now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 23, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote]Who wants to hang with the McDonald-Swensons and Gavin Creel in the Lido Lounge next year? Book now!

Just the other day, I was asking myself, "Whatever happened to Lindsay Mendez?" Now I know.

by Anonymousreply 213September 23, 2019 6:10 PM

Are they going to recreate Titanic? Lindsay Mendez is as big as an iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 214September 23, 2019 6:38 PM

this motherfucker here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 23, 2019 7:05 PM

Me, Me, MEEEEEEEEEE

by Anonymousreply 216September 23, 2019 7:09 PM

R16 All day. He has a serious problem. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 217September 23, 2019 8:14 PM

R212 - Aren't those the cruises Seth Rudetsky runs? I can think of nothing less appealing than being trapped at sea with Seth Rudetsky.

OK, stuck at sea with Andy Cohen -- I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 218September 23, 2019 8:35 PM

Does Seth run them with Rosie's ex?

by Anonymousreply 219September 23, 2019 8:38 PM

Couple hundred people are in Times Sq right now watching the opening night of The Met's "Porgy & Bess" live in the giant TV screens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 23, 2019 10:14 PM

[quote]I'm disgusted by the behavior of the writer of Slave Play, What a sycophantic, celebrity-worshipping asswipe. Does he have any idea how foolish he sounds when he talks like that? And why on earth would the stage manager have allowed him to hold the curtain? Even if I had wanted to see the play, I wouldn't now, after reading his comments. I don't think he would have anything to say that I want to hear.

Agreed. I liked the play when I saw it Off-Broadway, but the author did come across as a complete asshole in his comments about holding the curtain for Rihanna and replying to her text during the show. Also, the other play by this guy that I saw -- the one with Alan Cumming -- was a POS, so I think the jury's still out on his talent level.

[quote]I know it is not Broadway, but every show I have seen at radio city music Hall starts exactly on the dot

They do, like, six or more shows a day, so they have to!

[quote]"Chasing Rainbows," the Judy Garland musical at Goodspeed, in rehearsal. Mostly, it doesn't look too good. And the kid playing Mickey Rooney is going to regret having his arms tattooed like that. Makeup can only hide so much, and there's no CGI in theater to get rid of them.

The show played Goodspeed a little while ago, but now it's coming up at Paper Mill. I saw an earlier version of it, and it's awful. Agree about that stupid actor with the horrible tattooed arms. Fool!

[quote]The clip from their rehearsal is... much better than most rehearsal room clips that Broadway.com has posted over the years. The musical might be a dud but they at least have it together in the videos

I'm pretty sure it depends almost entirely on the point in the rehearsal period when the videos are made.

[quote]Max had a lovely boyfriend for some years, but it has very recently ended. Max's loss, to be sure.

I'm sorry to hear this. Daniel seemed like a really nice guy, and very handsome.

[quote]Couple hundred people are in Times Sq right now watching the opening night of The Met's "Porgy & Bess" live in the giant TV screens.

That's news to me. How well was it publicized, if at all?

by Anonymousreply 221September 24, 2019 2:20 AM

R221 are you B-List Actor? I miss posts from him.

by Anonymousreply 222September 24, 2019 9:15 AM

I believe it was C-List Actor r222.

by Anonymousreply 223September 24, 2019 11:26 AM

While channel surfing last night, I believe I saw Mendez on a new CBS shitfest called "All Rise". She played the courtroom.

by Anonymousreply 224September 24, 2019 2:23 PM

ALL RISE looks very SJW-ish.

by Anonymousreply 225September 24, 2019 2:52 PM

ALL RISE looks like yet another dump circling round the CBS toilet.

by Anonymousreply 226September 24, 2019 3:18 PM

Someone must know what happened between Max von Essen and Daniel Rowan. Their split looks to be in the last month. Too bad. They seemed very happy together.

Max will be at Paper Mill soon. Daniel has disappeared from social media.

by Anonymousreply 227September 24, 2019 10:10 PM

r227 Who got Pocket?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228September 24, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote]Max will be at Paper Mill soon

Yes, we know. Rehearsal footage was posted a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 229September 24, 2019 11:10 PM

[quote]Who got Pocket?

Looks like Max did, judging by his IG

by Anonymousreply 230September 24, 2019 11:11 PM

Just received a flyer for this thing at City Center: a play called HARRY TOWNSEND'S LAST STAND.

With, god bless him, Len "Sweeney" Cariou....

And Craig Bierko.

Yes, that is Craig Bierko in the pic. Now, none of us are the hotties we were 20-odd years ago, but what has he done to his face?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231September 25, 2019 1:04 AM

That’s probably just a weird picture, but if that’s the result of “work,” he should get his money back.

by Anonymousreply 232September 25, 2019 1:08 AM

I saw Bierko on the streetvrecently, and wouldn't have recognized him, if he hadn't recognized me first.

by Anonymousreply 233September 25, 2019 1:33 AM

Oooh, casting announced for Classic Stage Company revival of ASSASSINS.

And it's... interesting.

THIS is the Sondheim revival I'm looking forward to more than gender-bending COMPANY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 25, 2019 1:49 AM

How could it be anything but fabulous, Wesley Taylor is in it!

by Anonymousreply 235September 25, 2019 3:47 AM

[quote]Wesley Taylor is in it!

Just don’t let him eat at Taco Bell before a performance.

by Anonymousreply 236September 25, 2019 4:56 AM

In all seriousness, how the fuck does Wesley Taylor keep getting cast when he doesn't possess any discernible talent?

by Anonymousreply 237September 25, 2019 5:35 AM

And, he doesn't have the voice for Zangara.

by Anonymousreply 238September 25, 2019 7:34 AM

He was good in SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.

by Anonymousreply 239September 25, 2019 11:55 AM

I love him because he's able to fuck me until I scream!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 25, 2019 12:43 PM

I thought screaming was your default...

by Anonymousreply 241September 25, 2019 4:03 PM

If my husband wore those ugly briefs, I'd scream too.

by Anonymousreply 242September 25, 2019 4:48 PM

Isaac Powell is a beautiful young man, but that photo at R240, and those briefs, do him NO favors. Hard to believe any photo could make him look that bad.

by Anonymousreply 243September 25, 2019 6:10 PM

I miss SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 244September 25, 2019 6:39 PM

Placido Domingo is out from the Met Opera. Any instances like him still around in the theater on either the hetero- or homo- side?

by Anonymousreply 245September 25, 2019 9:08 PM

"Out" as in fired, dismissed, parted ways, that is. Levine was their homosexual version.

by Anonymousreply 246September 25, 2019 9:09 PM

[quote]I miss SMASH.

Did you play Deb Messing's mildly retarded son on the show?

I feel sorry for Smash, really. It looked good on paper. The first season they tried to make it a night time soap opera and it didn't work. So they were given a Season 2 where they tried to make it into Fame/Glee.

I kept thinking, "How can they mess this show up so much?"

by Anonymousreply 247September 25, 2019 10:21 PM

[quote]r234 THIS is the Sondheim revival I'm looking forward to more than gender-bending COMPANY.

This section is so moving when sung by Victor Garber. (Even if the sound's kind of muffled.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248September 25, 2019 10:52 PM

R247 Yeah that show had such promise.

by Anonymousreply 249September 25, 2019 10:54 PM

r248

I love that version.. Victor was incredible

by Anonymousreply 250September 25, 2019 10:57 PM

Speaking of SMASH, this was the first time I ever laid eyes on Wesley Taylor and must admit I thought he was pretty cute then:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251September 25, 2019 11:06 PM

Perhaps this link will work:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 25, 2019 11:08 PM

r248, what is that from? Was a concert version of Assassins ever broadcast? I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 253September 25, 2019 11:11 PM

Wesley also seems faintly villainous.

by Anonymousreply 254September 25, 2019 11:19 PM

*Wesley always

by Anonymousreply 255September 25, 2019 11:19 PM

The Sondheim Celebration at Carnegie Hall from the early 90s

by Anonymousreply 256September 25, 2019 11:19 PM

Raza Jaffrey was wasted on Smash. Here you have one of the sexiest men on tv and you don't give him anything to do. And he was paired with the understudy Marilyn who was a dullard actress. I don't even think they let him take his clothes off. If they had, the ratings would have soared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 25, 2019 11:23 PM

[quote]r244 I miss SMASH.

SMASH was divine. And the cause of bitter contention between my straight sister and me. For some stupid reason I was #TeamKaren. Katharine McPhee's taller and more graceful, and I like her singing voice much better than Megan Hilty's. But my sister, who's just represents your average audience member, posted on Facebook, "Come on, we all know Ivy was the better Marilyn."

In retrospect, it's true there's really nothing "Marilyn" about McPhee. I posted on imdb that I preferred her interpretation, and someone answered, [italic]"WHAT[/italic] interpretation??"

That made me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 25, 2019 11:23 PM

But now I can acknowledge that even though I don’t really respond to it, it’s true Megan Hilty researched and invested in her performance. (She’s just so SQUAT, though.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259September 25, 2019 11:25 PM

Originally, there was an idea floating around that they were going to take the Marilyn material from Season1 and make it into a real Broadway musical. Why did that never happen?

by Anonymousreply 260September 25, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote]253 what is that from? Was a concert version of Assassins ever broadcast, r248? I missed it.

That number is from a 1992 tribute called [italic]Sondheim - A Celebration at Carnegie Hall.[/italic] It was broadcast, and then released as a CD.

It featured everyone they could get their hands on. Besides Garber, there's Bill Irwin, Betty Buckley, Dorothy Loudon, Liza Minnelli, Karen Ziemba, Kevin Anderson, Daisy Egan, Bernadette Peters...a ton of other people...and Patti Lupone going to town on this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 25, 2019 11:45 PM

Nothing can make Isaac look bad. But, if the briefs offend you, maybe you can convince him to take them off.

by Anonymousreply 262September 25, 2019 11:46 PM

I love everything in this concert especially the aforementioned Ballad of Booth and the weekend in the country

Here's the whole song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 25, 2019 11:48 PM

Raza Jaffrey singing the gorgeous song "The Journey Home" from "Bombay Dreams"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 25, 2019 11:49 PM

I couldn't even hate-watch Smash, it was so bad. Nor could I believe it was made by people who have actually done Broadway shows and successful ones, too; it was like it was written by a some randoms who walked down Broadway once (perhaps the Broadway in San Francisco). However, I do like Hilty's They Just Keep Moving the Line (even though the lyrics make no sense logically -- again, written by people who'd maybe strolled by a racetrack). Lady can *belt*.

by Anonymousreply 265September 25, 2019 11:56 PM

Smash could be excellent or cringe worthy. there were some great songs though. I love they just keep moving the line, hang the moon etc

by Anonymousreply 266September 26, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote]However, I do like Hilty's They Just Keep Moving the Line (even though the lyrics make no sense logically -- again, written by people who'd maybe strolled by a racetrack). Lady can *belt*.

I wish off-Broadway was still alive. I'd like to see a production of Meagan Hilty as the mother in "Blood Brothers."

by Anonymousreply 267September 26, 2019 12:05 AM

I loved all of SMASH ... like when the veteran chorus members dragged Karen to some piano bar where they taught her how to perform backup. They did an Adele number ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 26, 2019 12:09 AM

That Sondheim Celebration has perhaps my favorite Getting Married Today, due largely to Madeline Kahn's immaculate diction (and, well, just her generally -- RIP). That Weekend in the Country was good, too. Loved the Charlotte (Henrik less so, too operatic).

by Anonymousreply 269September 26, 2019 12:10 AM

It has the only version of "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" I actually like listening to. The singer delivers the final notes (amongst others) so beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 26, 2019 12:16 AM

For no reason....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 26, 2019 2:29 AM

Broadway Lottery Tickets Are No Longer The Bargain They Used To Be:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272September 26, 2019 3:35 AM

I mentioned the Wes Tay Tay casting to a friend today and he said- Well, Wes is a Broadway star. I laughed my ass off, assuming he was kidding, but he was deadly serious and nothing could sway him.

by Anonymousreply 273September 26, 2019 4:17 AM

"Yeah that show had such promise."

Except that it was dreadful in every way.

by Anonymousreply 274September 26, 2019 5:01 AM

A character in Fabulation draws the distinction between musical theater stars and real stars.

by Anonymousreply 275September 26, 2019 12:23 PM

The body of a Broadway star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 26, 2019 12:41 PM

OT slightly, but I'm looking for advice on sliding sideways into the business of theater.

I have a degree in Dramaturgy & Script (I know, cackle away) and I miss working in stage as a writer/performer like hell (daydreaming about it everyday) but I can't see a way back into the field having little practical experience and no contacts now I'm a decade out of school - I may not be highly-experienced but I know coveted theater jobs are protected and passed down to protégé or young beautiful triple-threats well-known to the already-successful. I unfortunately don't sing or dance or act (didn't even take classes as a kid, I was one of the poors pushed through academic scholarships), haven't any stage credits, and though I write scraps of scripts & lyrics in spare time and on weekends I don't think they're high-calibre or performance-ready yet.

I wouldn't mind working entry-level grunt positions like as a runner for a year or two to pay dues, and I know and accept the business works (let's say) however I do want to have mobility of career and the chance to excel wherever I start. I have heard that working IN a theater building is the best route to take for those who want to work professionally in the non-creative side of things, but what is the entry point for others who don't want to work in marketing or tech? Do I just submit scripts to open calls until someone says yes? Join an amateur group or start my own? Open an acting school for little kids? Mock up a fake list of credits/IMDB? Go back and get a Masters? Is it better to start in Bumfuck when you have nothing on your resume or just go balls-out and move?

What I miss most is concept work & rehearsal with a high-energy group of other people - that physical & emotional release & closeness you develop and the meeting of minds that comes with working on a script or score. Being surrounded by music and dancing and art and performance. That's what I love and what I want back in my life, and I know that being a workaholic unsociable type outside of work I would fare best integrating it as part of my job. It's the only place I've ever felt equally comfortable & challenged working and 'playing'. While even I have limits as to what I'll do to return to that environment, it's not much. I have literally nothing to lose on going for a creative job at this point, as I'm estranged from almost all family (except the one on whose couch I sleep) with no friends at all either and not making a dime in my current low-rung work. It's just me, my notebooks and a damn bus ticket. So, dearest mavens, whatever is this gay to do?

by Anonymousreply 277September 26, 2019 1:02 PM

Wes taylor is just ugly. But that's what happens when you let butt buddies and fruit flies do all the casting.

by Anonymousreply 278September 26, 2019 2:40 PM

What an ill chosen username...

by Anonymousreply 279September 26, 2019 2:46 PM

Stephen Bogardus has been replaced by Jay Sanders in "Girl From The North Country". Now you've got a show! Bogardus dragged the entire piece down. Good riddance to bad luggage. To paraphrase.

by Anonymousreply 280September 26, 2019 3:05 PM

[quote]Broadway Lottery Tickets Are No Longer The Bargain They Used To Be:

This is an interesting article, but not entirely factual.

[quote]The real reason that the bigger Broadway shows even offered lottery tickets in the first place was to recognize and show their appreciation to their less financially-fortunate fans, but things are now changing fast on the bright lights of Broadway.

The *REAL* reason was publicity. I think it was Rent that started this practice.

In the early days, I did Rent a couple of times. Rent first started out using the Shakespeare in the Park model. You lined up at the box office and the tickets were given out on the line. The first time I did it, the line was backed all the way up to 8th Avenue. It was a huge publicity coup for Rent because they could take pictures of the line at the box office.

After awhile, the city began to get a bit tired of Rent's "line" and so they asked Rent to start doing the lottery version, where you show up 30 minutes early, write your name on a card and the names were drawn.

To say that it was done to give "the less fortunate" a chance is a slick line. Rent had been playing downtown at New York Theatre Workshop for many weeks. It was constantly on the paper services. I saw it twice downtown for $3 per performance. Not much changed when it moved uptown, I think they rearranged the order of one or two songs. But when it moved to Broadway, the PR machine went into full gear and it became *THE* must see show. I had to laugh. Nobody wanted to see it downtown.

The producers also were quite smart. Rent didn't take a lot of money to produce. The set is nothing, the costumes are off the rack and the cast were all newbies and didn't have star salaries. So they could afford to give away 20-30 seats and it wouldn't affect their profit that much.

by Anonymousreply 281September 26, 2019 3:29 PM

Re- Broadway lotteries, credit where credit's due: [italic]Hamilton[/italic] is still offering fans a bargain.

(From R272's link)

[quote]In early 2016, Wicked crossed the billion dollar mark in total show revenue and they are only one of three Broadway shows to ever do this. Their new lottery prices are so pricey, it has got people on the Broadway social media sites asking, “If lottery tickets are supposed to be a cheap way to see the show, then why is their lottery so expensive?” and “How does that extra few hundred dollars that they get from it, really help them?” In contrast, Hamilton (the show that needs no introduction), offers the best Broadway show ticket lottery. The Hamilton Production hosts their own ticket lottery on the Ham4Ham website and “Ham4Ham” mobile app. The show follows the old lottery system, where winners pay only $10 per ticket if they win and get to sit in the first two rows of the theatre. Hamilton runs their lottery with their same give-back mentality as they did when the show first started, as they are just trying to give a lucky handful of fans a performance to remember.

by Anonymousreply 282September 26, 2019 4:03 PM

The other genius part of that Rent system is that you have two cheering rows of super fans at the front of every house. It’s infectious.

by Anonymousreply 283September 26, 2019 4:51 PM

Daniel shouldn't be too upset as Max's leaked photos show, he's got a tiny dick.

by Anonymousreply 284September 26, 2019 5:29 PM

Link?

by Anonymousreply 285September 26, 2019 5:32 PM

When were Max’s nudes leaked????

by Anonymousreply 286September 26, 2019 5:38 PM

His nudes are out there. People trade this stuff. If you have stuff to trade head over to LPSG and reach out to people on the Broadway thread.

by Anonymousreply 287September 26, 2019 5:47 PM

Will they accept nudes of Barbara Nichols for trade?

by Anonymousreply 288September 26, 2019 6:04 PM

Yeah, it is vitally important that I obtain pictures of a celebrity (minor) with a tiny dick.

by Anonymousreply 289September 26, 2019 6:12 PM

Get a grip, girls. Max von Essen is not a celebrity in any sense of the term. His name is commonly known on about three, maybe four, internet websites that cater to theater queens. But so is Maryann Lopinto's. If Max is a celebrity, Maryann is, too.

by Anonymousreply 290September 26, 2019 7:05 PM

Don't want to see Mlop's dick either.

by Anonymousreply 291September 26, 2019 7:07 PM

Chita's never lifted her leg for Max.

by Anonymousreply 292September 26, 2019 7:11 PM

[quote]Chita's never lifted her leg for Max.

Chita was never able to lift her leg when she was dancing West Side Story. Or Bye Bye Birdie. Or Sweet Charity, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 293September 26, 2019 7:13 PM

But for a portait photographer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 26, 2019 7:20 PM

[quote]Stephen Bogardus has been replaced by Jay Sanders in "Girl From The North Country". Now you've got a show! Bogardus dragged the entire piece down. Good riddance to bad luggage. To paraphrase.

It seems they may be replacing Sydney James Harcourt as well. His name is not in the cast list, although no one else has been named for his role. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe he got a movie or a TV gig?

[quote]Rent had been playing downtown at New York Theatre Workshop for many weeks. It was constantly on the paper services. I saw it twice downtown for $3 per performance. Nobody wanted to see it downtown.

This cannot be true. My memory is that the show was a phenomenon from the beginning, probably mostly due to the huge publicity surrounding Jonathan Larson's death right before the first scheduled preview at NYTW. Plus, doesn't that theater only have about 200 seats? It sure sounds to me that you're lying about the demand for tickets Off-Broadway, but I can't figure out your motivation in doing so. Would you care to explain?

by Anonymousreply 295September 26, 2019 7:29 PM

If there were many empty seats at NYTW, it would not have moved to the Nederlander.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 296September 26, 2019 7:32 PM

Plus, doesn't that theater only have about 200 seats? It sure sounds to me that you're lying about the demand for tickets Off-Broadway, but I can't figure out your motivation in doing so. Would you care to explain?

Believe what you want. I bought my tickets from Audience Extras. When I saw it, the weather was foul. It was bitter cold and nasty sleeting outside. So maybe I was buying cancellation tickets?

by Anonymousreply 297September 26, 2019 8:14 PM

Gee, ya think?

by Anonymousreply 298September 26, 2019 8:50 PM

Sydney James Harcourt announced in June that he couldn’t join “Girl from the North Country” on Broadway. It’s a shame - he was great, plus smoking hot.

by Anonymousreply 299September 26, 2019 9:40 PM

Mlop has big dick face.

by Anonymousreply 300September 26, 2019 10:28 PM

Max’s dick isn’t “tiny” tiny, it’s not a micropenis. It’s just maybe average or just under average. But he gives spectacular head and is a juicy bottom, so if you’re a top, it evens out.

by Anonymousreply 301September 26, 2019 10:30 PM

Lemme know, r288!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302September 26, 2019 10:39 PM

My dears Broadway favourite and Tony winner Steve Kazee has knocked up the ferociously thirsty Jenna Dewan. I’m shocked I tell you. Always thought my Stevie was a bit gay.

by Anonymousreply 303September 26, 2019 10:45 PM

Max, nude but hiding the family jewels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 26, 2019 11:10 PM

Mac presenting his luscious ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 26, 2019 11:12 PM

They don't seem to be able to make luscious asses like they used to.

by Anonymousreply 306September 26, 2019 11:22 PM

Don't be too sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307September 27, 2019 1:00 AM

Of course, Broadway will never reach the heights of ballet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308September 27, 2019 1:03 AM

He could always throw his legs in the air higher than anyone ... and wider.

by Anonymousreply 309September 27, 2019 1:05 AM

Nice outfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 27, 2019 1:07 AM

Wow, that guy in the center has one really shaky dismount.

by Anonymousreply 311September 27, 2019 1:14 AM

R303 He dated Megan Hilty for over 5 years. They broke up around 2012.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312September 27, 2019 1:30 AM

Wasn't Steve Kazee kind of messy? I think there was a cougar break up reported here back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 313September 27, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]Sydney James Harcourt announced in June that he couldn’t join “Girl from the North Country” on Broadway. It’s a shame - he was great, plus smoking hot.

Thanks for that info. Did he say why?

As for Steve Kazee, do we think his severe neurosis has been addressed?

by Anonymousreply 314September 27, 2019 1:47 AM

I'm surprised Kazee was able to keep it together during ONCE's original run. Hiltry broke up with him just as the show was transferring to Broadway in early 2012. Then his mother died of cancer a month after the show opened in the spring. Also, he grew up in a trailer park without a father so that probably has something to do with his neuroses.

by Anonymousreply 315September 27, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Max von Essen is not a celebrity in any sense of the term.

With all due respect to Max, I guess I can confirm this given that I stood behind him in line at the grocery store about a year ago and no one but me likely knew who he was. Still, I admit it was kinda weird knowing this Tony-nominated actor was schlepping his groceries through the line just like everybody else.

And yes, he is very cute.

by Anonymousreply 316September 27, 2019 5:40 AM

Max Von Essen is a good looking guy - cute ass. As Miss Midler might say, is he a quilt?

by Anonymousreply 317September 27, 2019 10:37 AM

Imagine that. Max von Essen buys groceries just like regular people.

by Anonymousreply 318September 27, 2019 11:29 AM

He must be poor. Don't all NYC DLers have their groceries delivered? If you have to shop for yourself, you have no business living in the city.

by Anonymousreply 319September 27, 2019 11:59 AM

R316, your registered name explains it all.

As Sondheim wrote, "Move on!"

by Anonymousreply 320September 27, 2019 12:25 PM

[quote]Sunday's disappearing as we look

Actually, it’s “Sundays disappearing as we look.” Plural Sundays. I just double-checked.

by Anonymousreply 321September 27, 2019 12:26 PM

Thanks Ken.

And I mean that in a truly Datalounge kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 322September 27, 2019 12:52 PM

R320 what do you mean by that?

by Anonymousreply 323September 27, 2019 1:46 PM

[quote]Imagine that. Max von Essen buys groceries just like regular people.

LOL! That reminds me of a Broadwayworld.com thread from like 5 years ago. The poster titled it "Alice Ripley Takes the Subway" and was shocked that she didn't have a personal driver. The poster was like "Is she not rich or just down-to-earth?"

by Anonymousreply 324September 27, 2019 1:56 PM

I've seen many Broadway actors on the subway on my way home from shows. How funny that people think New York stage actors live pampered lifestyles of the rich and famous.

by Anonymousreply 325September 27, 2019 2:39 PM

Any word on Almost Famous?

by Anonymousreply 326September 27, 2019 3:04 PM

But we do, r325.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 27, 2019 3:08 PM

I saw Elizabeth Franz ride the subway one night after "Death of a Salesman."

I could see the bitter taste in her mouth as she had elbowed her way to the subway entrance only to see Brian Dennehy's slick car roar by. As he rode by, he rolled down his window and yelled, "You flubbed a line in Act 2." Then he toasted her with a flute of champagne, rolled up his tinted window and roared off into the night.

by Anonymousreply 328September 27, 2019 3:48 PM

"Essen" means to eat, and also, to live, in German. It's also part of the word Delicatessen -- meaning to eat delicacies. So Max lives and eats, just like his name.

by Anonymousreply 329September 27, 2019 4:09 PM

Are these two cuties currently employed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 27, 2019 4:40 PM

I would love to see a list of Tony winners and nominees so rich they don't need to use public transportation. I assume it would be a short one.

by Anonymousreply 331September 27, 2019 5:26 PM

Rich is.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332September 27, 2019 7:02 PM

Jake Gyllenhall takes the subway often, even when he was at the height of his popularity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333September 27, 2019 7:59 PM

If you want get around the city quickly, you take the subway. It's not even a "down to earth" thing.

by Anonymousreply 334September 27, 2019 8:06 PM

Did you say.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335September 27, 2019 9:21 PM

Speaking of Jake Gyllanhaal, subways, and sleeping:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336September 27, 2019 9:27 PM

R323, I know exactly what he means and he'll get no argument from me.

by Anonymousreply 337September 27, 2019 10:39 PM

If the subway is good enough for Jake, it's good enough for all you bitches.

It's true, though. I feel like people who think Broadway actors ride around in special cars all the time have never actually been to New York. There's a reason people have shit fits when a subway line is down - it's how everyone gets everywhere. I couldn't believe how many native New Yorkers were complaining about it. We'd just gotten somewhere in 15 minutes that would have taken 45 minutes back home in my car. The subway is a magical invention.

by Anonymousreply 338September 27, 2019 10:56 PM

I think you’d be hard-pressed to find many fans of the New York City subways. Yes they get you around quickly and efficiently but they are filthy, old, hot and overcrowded - particularly during rush hour when they are often unbearable.

If you live in a borough besides Manhattan they’re also shut for repairs constantly and always late.

People use them but nobody likes them.

by Anonymousreply 339September 27, 2019 11:21 PM

Sex pests like them.

by Anonymousreply 340September 27, 2019 11:23 PM

r335 Too soon.

by Anonymousreply 341September 27, 2019 11:32 PM

R328= No wonder Franz hated his guys. She often told stories of what a prick he was to the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 342September 28, 2019 4:33 AM

R338 You big cuddly teddy, many kisses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343September 28, 2019 7:07 AM

Franz hated his GUTS!! Maybe his guys, too, but he was a mean motherfucker to her.

by Anonymousreply 344September 28, 2019 2:49 PM

Honestly, who cares what Dennehy and Franz thought of each other? They were great together on stage. It doesn't all have to be a friendship club.

by Anonymousreply 345September 28, 2019 4:12 PM

Why did Dennehy dislike Franz?

by Anonymousreply 346September 28, 2019 4:40 PM

Looking at the pics of Alice Ripley in Sunset Blvd, all I can say is "She never had a face."

by Anonymousreply 347September 28, 2019 5:36 PM

R347 you mean she's not pretty?

by Anonymousreply 348September 28, 2019 6:57 PM

Alice had a face for the rear mezzanine.

by Anonymousreply 349September 28, 2019 7:03 PM

José José is DEAD to me.

by Anonymousreply 350September 28, 2019 10:05 PM

The wig is...what's the word....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351September 28, 2019 10:07 PM

Helen....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352September 28, 2019 10:11 PM

Ripley looks like a Catherine O'Hara character in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 353September 28, 2019 10:20 PM

Customarily, one styles a wig before wearing it on stage in front of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 354September 28, 2019 10:37 PM

Like Swanson, she's similarly mean of lip. They should have had Ripley bare her teeth in this shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 28, 2019 10:42 PM

[quote]The wig is...what's the word....

From an Eva Gabor garage sale?

by Anonymousreply 356September 29, 2019 12:16 AM

LUCY/NORMA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357September 29, 2019 12:24 AM

Drag Queen Norma

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358September 29, 2019 12:29 AM

R357 = Norma as interpreted by Mrs. Bozo.

by Anonymousreply 359September 29, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote]what's the word....

Hideous. The word is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 360September 29, 2019 1:01 AM

Any advance word on "The Inheritance"?

by Anonymousreply 361September 29, 2019 1:05 AM

Glenn Close really, really looks like Charles Busch as Norma. A more mannish version, that is.

I'm looking forward to THE INHERITANCE and hope it lives up to the hype. But putting on my producer hat; is there really that large an audience for almost 7 hours of this gay-themed play?

This had better be really Epic and not merely Long.

by Anonymousreply 362September 29, 2019 5:33 AM

The Inheritance is a play that legitimises wealthy white people’s ignorance of recent history.

I’m sure it’ll find an audience.

by Anonymousreply 363September 29, 2019 7:31 AM

R176 doesn’t get it. I saw that production twice from the front row at the NT in 2017 and 2019, with Imelda and the. Joanna Riding.

Tracie Bennett didn’t play Carla at all like she was angry at being ignored. She was sleek like a cat on stage. R176 must be on the spectrum and can only register happy/sad, angry faces. There was no anger in her performance at all, she was the coolest of them all.

by Anonymousreply 364September 29, 2019 11:06 AM

Btw, how long have you guys been referencing the Ted Chapin book? I don’t think I knew of it until my friend gave it to me for my birthday in August (read it immediately) and when I came back here you were all referencing it (and posting as the characters), which I loved. As Aladdin would say, it’s now like a whole new world! To me, at least. How long has this been going on?

by Anonymousreply 365September 29, 2019 11:10 AM

R281 is delusional. You couldn’t get a ticket to the NYTW production of Rent. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Take your meds, luv.

by Anonymousreply 366September 29, 2019 11:26 AM

Lots of nudity (front and back; male and female) in the Tracy Letts play Linda Vista at the Helen Hayes. Unfortunately, the male lead is not remotely hot. Stage is extremely high to accommodate a turntable, so if you want to ogle sit at least 7 or 8 rows back.

by Anonymousreply 367September 29, 2019 2:10 PM

R363 I thought The Inheritance was about gay men and the AIDS epidemic. What does white got to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 368September 29, 2019 2:16 PM

[quote]You couldn’t get a ticket to the NYTW production of Rent. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Take your meds, luv.

I was there, luv. I got my tickets off Audience Extras. Now maybe they were cancellation tickets, but any person who was a member of AE could get tickets after Larson died. So yes, NYTW says all performances sold out, but that was with using a papering service.

by Anonymousreply 369September 29, 2019 2:51 PM

It's a play about WASPs, R368. WASPs who know nothing until they [italic]inherit[/italic] an estate in Upstate New York.

And its whiteness is pretty pronounced, even if unintentionally. Particularly as the only black characters are finger-snapping 'Hey gurrrl'-ing friends of the white leads.

by Anonymousreply 370September 29, 2019 3:02 PM

[quote]is there really that large an audience for almost 7 hours of this gay-themed play?

Only if the cast includes 20 hot men who do full frontal every few minutes or so.

by Anonymousreply 371September 29, 2019 3:46 PM

There are plenty of alumni from "Naked Boys Singing" out there who, if they haven't been signed for "Take Me Out", who'd be happy to comply.

by Anonymousreply 372September 29, 2019 4:29 PM

Take Me Out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373September 29, 2019 4:37 PM

"There are plenty of alumni from "Naked Boys Singing" out there who, if they haven't been signed for "Take Me Out", who'd be happy to comply."

Some from this cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374September 29, 2019 4:42 PM

Amazing how that video got out, since they used to/still confiscate phones/cameras from taping during the show. They'd actually stop the show until this was done. With that said, I recognized some of the actors in that clip. I wonder how they feel that this ended up all over the web, including on porn sites, when it isn't porn at all, just a lot of nudity.

by Anonymousreply 375September 29, 2019 4:44 PM

Right. They didn't want "Naked Boys Singing" recorded because the music was so goddamned awful.

by Anonymousreply 376September 29, 2019 5:50 PM

I know it's fun to think so, but appearing naked onstage for a male is not exactly the launch pad to stardom some of you imagine.

If you're any good already, it shouldn't hurt matters, particularly if the part really calls for it.

But it's not as if it's going to open any doors.

by Anonymousreply 377September 29, 2019 5:54 PM

Nah, they was already a CD released of the LA cast, plus an authorized movie version. The clip above was taken from the audience. Some of the guys were really very cute.

by Anonymousreply 378September 29, 2019 5:54 PM

One of the those guys in the clip is straight and now a therapist in California. Another is more into arranging music and has put on a decent amount of weight. Another was an administrator for a college, which he has since left. Another married a woman and is singing in cabarets down south, way off-Broadway. Most of the others seems to have disappeared from the business. Just goes to show that taking off your clothes to get an off-Broadway credit doesn't really help your acting career, even with a good voice and a nice body. There are some exceptions. One guy in the original cast of Naked Boys sings opera occasionally and also from the original cast I believe directs musical theater and might be the head of a theater company as well. But they were from the first company when it was new and they were kind of pioneers in a show where they were like 90% naked throughout. Oh, there was also a guy in one of the replacement casts who took over a role in a long-running Broadway show who might still be doing it for years and years. But many of these guys seemed to have disappeared as they got older. It's a tough business.

by Anonymousreply 379September 29, 2019 6:01 PM

A couple of them have ended up in a well-known Gilbert and Sullivan company in chorus and character parts.

by Anonymousreply 380September 29, 2019 6:15 PM

The naked boys in the clip are so much much better looking than the cast on the released video.

by Anonymousreply 381September 29, 2019 6:21 PM

The ones in the film knew that their performances were going to be preserved, unlike those in the clip though, so it might have been a smaller casting pool of people to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 382September 29, 2019 6:33 PM

Wasn’t a video of Naked Boys on Netflix for a while?

by Anonymousreply 383September 29, 2019 6:55 PM

Critics Misgendered This Off-Broadway Actor, Now They’re Speaking Out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384September 29, 2019 7:54 PM

It seems apparent from reading the article at R384 that the person in question is highly unstable emotionally and very likely mentally ill. And the writer of the article comes across as a caricature of a SJW.

by Anonymousreply 385September 29, 2019 8:04 PM

R384 They seem the very definition of tiresome

by Anonymousreply 386September 29, 2019 8:07 PM

[quote]Actor-advocate Maybe Burke explains how the theatre community can better ally with trans and non-binary communities.

Surely Not.

by Anonymousreply 387September 29, 2019 8:07 PM

[quote]They seem the very definition of tiresome.

Ha! Yes, "they" certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 388September 29, 2019 8:16 PM

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

Because I never miss a new Celtic musical based on a short story by an American Jazz Age writer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389September 29, 2019 9:00 PM

Wow, I actually enjoyed an Adam Rapp play. Never thought that would happen!

by Anonymousreply 390September 29, 2019 9:02 PM

Who is the actor in that Naked Boys clip who does the birthday bit and sings “Perky Little Porn Star”? He seems to have some personality/talent.

Only about four impressive dicks in that cast.

by Anonymousreply 391September 29, 2019 10:54 PM

Maybe Burke sounds like the kind of person who sucks all of the air out of the room.

by Anonymousreply 392September 30, 2019 12:34 AM

Some nice bushes too in that cast -- it's not only about length, some have girth too. Some are growers.

by Anonymousreply 393September 30, 2019 12:48 AM

The anger in the audience for "Heroes Of The Fourth Turning" was loud and palpable. The idea is to enrage theatergoers and in this it succeeds. The play is much like Robbie Baitz in his controlled substance abuse days, looking to play devil's advocate, and only succeeding in pissing off the audience, because it can't take a definitive stand on any issue. The play is a bit of a mess, but there is a lot of inspired writing, but the supernatural aspects of the play make very little sense. One thing for sure, you'll certainly stay awake. The cast is phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 394September 30, 2019 4:12 PM

I'm angry that Maybe Burke miscategorized its production. That theater is purely OFF-OFF Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 395September 30, 2019 6:13 PM

Maybe Burke, maybe not.....

by Anonymousreply 396September 30, 2019 6:28 PM

I’ve been catching up on lapsed theatre gossip threads for many months and I am finally caught up. I wanted to add some comments from way back:

I saw the NT Follies back in December 2017 when I was in London visiting a friend and I was incredibly impressed by it. I’m 41 (mid-elder gay, I guess) and have only heard about it on Datalounge and, of course, I also have all the cast recordings and have listened to them several times. The NT set was just really evocative and the Follies ghosts’ costumes were just beautiful. Very elaborate. The turntable on the stage allowed the production to become less stagnant, especially in those first scenes where are a lot of people coming and going as they arrive at the party. Imelda seems to be noted around here as a weak element of this production, but I was really impressed by her and, at times (especially her “Too Many Mornings”) found her almost heartbreaking. It seems popular to lambast her in that role but I enjoyed her performance.

As an aside, I attended a special dinner at the Ivy the next night where the servers were famous British folks and Janie Dee was supposed to be one of the servers, but she was sick so she couldn’t come. Maggie Smith was dining near us (with the woman who plays her daughter on Downton Abbey) and I later spoke to her near the bar. I told her that I loved her in “California Suite” and she was like “THAT movie?!” It was hilarious and she was lovely.

Getting back to Follies, that “One More Kiss” was as exceptional and affecting as has been previously remarked upon. It was an unforgettable moment and a highlight of the entire production. I’m so happy that I was able to see a production that has been so praised. I really wish it would come to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 397September 30, 2019 6:49 PM

[quote]Getting back to Follies, that “One More Kiss” was as exceptional and affecting as has been previously remarked upon.

I have a copy of the NT Follies and I so much want to post the "One More Kiss" segment on YouTube because it's that beautiful. However, I don't want to be hauled off to jail.

But honestly, I always hated that song in the show. Some shrieky opera singer pining away. Then when I saw this performance, I started crying (Oh, Mary!) Josephine Barstow was so perfect in the role. She's so frail looking and the difference between her ghost and her drove home the point that time moves forward very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 398September 30, 2019 7:09 PM

I think it was “Follies in Concert” that ruined “One More Kiss”.

That and having been left off the OBC recording.

In context, it’s lovely.

by Anonymousreply 399September 30, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote]In context, it’s lovely.

Not when it was sung by Joan Roberts, it wasn't. I was there.

by Anonymousreply 400September 30, 2019 7:34 PM

[quote]The play is much like Robbie Baitz in his controlled substance abuse days

God save us from that unholy mess.

by Anonymousreply 401September 30, 2019 7:34 PM

R400 what's wrong with Joan Roberts? Wasn't she the original Laurey in OKLAHOMA?

by Anonymousreply 402September 30, 2019 7:36 PM

Nothing worked in the 2001 revival.

by Anonymousreply 403September 30, 2019 7:37 PM

I’m not sure this has been mentioned, but during the D.C. tryout of “Beetlejuice,” the actress playing Lydia had blonde hair. I’m not sure if it was a wig or not, but we were immediately taken aback by that particular decision. It didn’t feel right and was an unnecessary change from the film. I was glad to see that she was in a black wig when the show finally made it to Broadway.

The show was not good by the way. Leslie Kritzer and the sets were probably the only good parts about it. The two actors playing the Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis characters honestly looked like they were plotting to come up with a plan to escape the show without anyone noticing.

by Anonymousreply 404September 30, 2019 7:42 PM

Yeah, blonde goth is an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 405September 30, 2019 7:47 PM

[Quote] Imelda seems to be noted around here as a weak element of this production, but I was really impressed by her and, at times (especially her “Too Many Mornings”) found her almost heartbreaking. It seems popular to lambast her in that role but I enjoyed her performance.

Most DL mainstays haven't seen Imelda on stage. I disliked the TV recording (I think it was BBC) of GYPSY. I was glad to have seen the production on stage. Twice.

by Anonymousreply 406September 30, 2019 7:49 PM

[Quote] I have a copy of the NT Follies and I so much want to post the "One More Kiss" segment on YouTube because it's that beautiful. However, I don't want to be hauled off to jail.

You could just post it without a title and as an unlisted video.

by Anonymousreply 407September 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Joan Roberts' voice sounded terrific in that "Follies", just like listening to her from the OCR of "Oklahoma!" but singing "One More Kiss" instead of "Out of My Dreams". That production had a lot of problems (was it Blythe Danner throwing chairs? Judith Ivey screaming when she couldn't hit the top note?, Polly Bergen doing a lot of yelling "I'm Still Here", but Ms. Roberts and perhaps Betty Garrett and Marge Champion were among the only bright spots.

by Anonymousreply 408September 30, 2019 7:51 PM

[quote]what's wrong with Joan Roberts?

She's not an opera singer.

by Anonymousreply 409September 30, 2019 8:00 PM

[quote]I think it was “Follies in Concert” that ruined “One More Kiss”.

Why do you feel that way? Did the sound of Licia Albanese's voice at that very advanced age bother you so much?

by Anonymousreply 410September 30, 2019 8:04 PM

409, I suppose pointing out that the character is an *operetta* singer not an *opera* singing is being picayune.

by Anonymousreply 411September 30, 2019 8:05 PM

How soon was Joan Roberts replaced by Marni Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 412September 30, 2019 8:07 PM

I seem to remember that Joan Roberts was replaced fairly quickly by Marni Nixon, and I think I remember hearing it wasn't because Joan had trouble singing the role but because she was difficult.

by Anonymousreply 413September 30, 2019 8:13 PM

[quote]Why do you feel that way? Did the sound of Licia Albanese's voice at that very advanced age bother you so much?

It’s the wrong kind of voice for that song.

by Anonymousreply 414September 30, 2019 8:15 PM

[quote]It’s the wrong kind of voice for that song.

I don't know, I think one superannuated soprano sounds pretty much like the other. And, actually I always thought Justine Johnson sounded too American on the original cast recording, once it was restored to the album, and also on the album of that Sondheim celebration concert. Of course, Albanese was Italian, not Austrian or German, but I think she makes a good attempt at the accent.

by Anonymousreply 415September 30, 2019 8:29 PM

Joan's Kiss at 1:48....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416September 30, 2019 8:35 PM

[quote]Joan's Kiss at 1:48....

Well, she hits some of the notes that were written.

by Anonymousreply 417September 30, 2019 8:42 PM

Weren't there some juicy stories about fights Joan Roberts got into with some of the other seniors in that Follies? I think there was one that ended with Marge Champion telling Joan off. Can't remember them, but they were all reported here on DL at the time.

by Anonymousreply 418September 30, 2019 9:46 PM

The 2001 Follies was pretty bad. It was like seeing a slightly above average community theatre version with a budget of about 4 dollars. Judith Ivey can most definitely sing, but Sally just wasn't the right role for her. I'd have bought her much more as a Carlotta. She has more of a loud broad vibe. I could see her as a great Joanne in Company or even a decent Dolly or Rose, but Sally didn't seem like a good fit for her.

Danner wasn't that bad, though. When she remembered her lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 419September 30, 2019 9:53 PM

Ivey and Staunton are two of the oddest choices for Sally. I think Shani Wallis was a strange choice, too. I don't even remember her attempting an American accent the entire night and, like the others, she's more of a belter, not a soprano. I can't remember if they changed some keys for her or not. I know they did with Staunton.

by Anonymousreply 420September 30, 2019 9:55 PM

Judith losing her mind....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 30, 2019 10:05 PM

Even the window card was meh.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422September 30, 2019 10:08 PM

Half meh....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423September 30, 2019 10:12 PM

Caroline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424September 30, 2019 10:15 PM

Judith doesn't sound too bad there, but she does seem a strange type for the role.

by Anonymousreply 425September 30, 2019 10:17 PM

That Chicago production was pretty great. Caroline O' Connor didn't quite seem the trophy wife type, but she sang and danced the shit out of it and landed all the big laughs. I liked that, for once, Ben was actually hot enough to where you understood why Sally would pine for him for decades.

by Anonymousreply 426September 30, 2019 10:18 PM

Hey Follies trolls - Go Fuck Yourselves. Will that do it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 427September 30, 2019 10:19 PM

Even with the short rehearsal period, Donna knocks it out of the park....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428September 30, 2019 10:28 PM

Polly, still here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429September 30, 2019 10:42 PM

I'm Still Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430September 30, 2019 10:52 PM

Sing, kween!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431September 30, 2019 10:55 PM

"You could use a good gym." Sir...

by Anonymousreply 432September 30, 2019 10:59 PM

That's the subtext of every musical produced today, OP.

by Anonymousreply 433September 30, 2019 11:15 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434October 1, 2019 1:07 AM

Homosexuality isn't "right" but Miss Celie was her "dream role"? Make it make sense.

by Anonymousreply 435October 1, 2019 1:10 AM

Musical theater doesn't go for booze, dope and homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 436October 1, 2019 1:14 AM

Yes, honey. Because suing the producers is a sure way back into a stage career.

I'm so glad it was another actor of color who called her own her homophobic shit.

by Anonymousreply 437October 1, 2019 1:14 AM

I hate that it's being reported that she was sacked because of a bible passage. Here is what she actually wrote (at the link).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438October 1, 2019 1:20 AM

[quote]I hate that it's being reported that she was sacked because of a bible passage.

Perhaps that's why so many of the comments on the Mail Online website are supportive of her and critical of "cancel culture."

by Anonymousreply 439October 1, 2019 1:22 AM

Some are even suggesting that as actors play murderers without being pro-murder, she be allowed to play a gay character.... Talk about false equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 440October 1, 2019 1:26 AM

Has the actress ever appeared in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441October 1, 2019 1:38 AM

Her father is apparently some outspoken christian minister type, with ties to conversion therapy. The complainers over "cancel culture" have been trying to deflect - the post was 5 years ago, why was someone combing through her social media etc. - but apparently she refused to take part in a Pride video done by her fellow actors in a particular show, so I've no doubt that her views were known from more than just that old Facebook post. Black Hollywood is small. Black Britannia must be even smaller.

by Anonymousreply 442October 1, 2019 1:44 AM

Step aside, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443October 1, 2019 1:52 AM

I don't care about her ... but I want Aaron Lee Lambert in me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 444October 1, 2019 2:20 AM

The NT podcast has an interview with Barstow in which she discusses how she and the director decided that Heidi is dying, so her trip to the reunion is a goodbye.

Sometimes acting is all it takes to turn a song into something stunning.

by Anonymousreply 445October 1, 2019 2:39 AM

If only we could get that lucky with Cynthia Erivo

by Anonymousreply 446October 1, 2019 2:44 AM

[quote]I don't even remember her attempting an American accent the entire night

I do. I remember being impressed with Shani’s American accent. She’s lived over here so long it’s no surprise she can do one. It wasn’t necessarily on the level of some of today’s Brit & Aussie actors who ace “American” but it was good. I remember her “Losing My Mind,” but don’t recall how she fared with the songs that were pitched higher.

Karen Morrow knocked me out in that production- the second best “I’m Still Here” I’ve ever seen (after Yvonne’s). Juliet Prowse acted well, but her costumes were bizarre. In the original, Alexis wore a red evening gown that covered her, head to toe. Then she wore the sexy number with the tassels for Lucy & Jessie. Prowse did the opposite. Her evening gown was sexy with bared shoulders. But for L&J, she wore a kind of body suit that covered her completely, with a huge feathered tail/bustle kind of thing. I thought it had a deadening effect on the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447October 1, 2019 3:03 AM

I've heard a bootleg of the Long Beach (and I've seen the videos of numbers on YT). Shani Wallis had a rather metallic edge to her voice, a bit like Betty Buckley. It was odd hearing her sing numbers originated by Dorothy Collins. No one in that production made much of an impression on me in the acting department.

by Anonymousreply 448October 1, 2019 3:15 AM

You rock, R443. Thank you for sharing that.

I watched the recording of the NT production at Symphony Space and that scene actually brought me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 449October 1, 2019 3:33 AM

r443

Thanks. Can you upload the whole thing? If you keep it unlisted, it should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 450October 1, 2019 3:34 AM

R450 I am not R443 but give me twenty minutes.....

by Anonymousreply 451October 1, 2019 3:44 AM

Thanks. Someone uploaded a 340p version but it would be great to see it in 1080p.

by Anonymousreply 452October 1, 2019 3:47 AM

r449, you're welcome. I'm r398 above. As I said up there, I never liked "One More Kiss." Then when I saw this production, I too teared up. I fell in love with this song because of this very performance.

by Anonymousreply 453October 1, 2019 3:49 AM

R452 You size queen x

Can anyone explain Cypress Avenue to me? I understand the 'troubles' shit, but this just seems endlessly loathsome. And what is with the hysterics from the audience, I just don't see the humour.

If you haven't seen it, this is the recent BBC broadcast, fucking bizarre piece of theater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454October 1, 2019 3:51 AM

[quote]I understand the 'troubles' shit, but this just seems endlessly loathsome. And what is with the hysterics from the audience, I just don't see the humour.

It's an Irish play. You have to be three sheets to the wind to get it. Yours is the same reaction every sober person has.

by Anonymousreply 455October 1, 2019 4:04 AM

The thing about that NT Follies broadcast is that I never saw a microphone or a microphone cord. They were well masked.

by Anonymousreply 456October 1, 2019 4:15 AM

R450 Here you go, hope it is big enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457October 1, 2019 4:37 AM

Go to 1:06:15 immediately to see Judy Garland perform "I'm Still Here."

by Anonymousreply 458October 1, 2019 4:46 AM

Thanks for uploading. It's 480p - is the original file? Or did YouTube downscale it?

by Anonymousreply 459October 1, 2019 4:51 AM

^ Bit of a luddite sorry, the original file was a 1,670,000kb, have no idea if it shrunk it. I grabbed it off reddit, if you get in quick they post the best shit

by Anonymousreply 460October 1, 2019 6:42 AM

Is the Reddit link still active?

by Anonymousreply 461October 1, 2019 6:44 AM

Fuck no, posts are up for a day usually before they are removed, the recent fleabag live cast lasted 8 hours, but follies is on torrents, pirate bay the last time i looked x

by Anonymousreply 462October 1, 2019 6:48 AM

What's the best way to download something from YouTube? My usual video downloader (that I mostly use for porn, of course) does some weird thing with a huge watermark for YT vids. Is there a better app/extension that works for YT?

by Anonymousreply 463October 1, 2019 2:12 PM

What do we think of the Musical Theater Project? I enjoy some of their programming on the SiriusXM channel. It's shameful that they don't have a single broadcast outlet in California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464October 1, 2019 2:28 PM

The Musical Theater Project is out of Cleveland and has been a staple for years with concerts and radio broadcasts. They are very informative and quite entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 465October 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Big ad push for Girl From The North Country. I fear it may have lost all momentum, if indeed it had any to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 466October 1, 2019 3:31 PM

Shani's Buddy's Eyes......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467October 1, 2019 4:40 PM

Let's remember Shani like this.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468October 1, 2019 4:44 PM

All this talk of the Long Beach Follies and not a word about the great Susan Johnson?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 469October 1, 2019 5:01 PM

[quote]What's the best way to download something from YouTube?

The Firefox browser has an add-on called "YouTube Downloader" or something like that. That works well for me.

by Anonymousreply 470October 1, 2019 5:06 PM

Firefox?? People still use Firefox??

by Anonymousreply 471October 1, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote] What's the best way to download something from YouTube?

Try a program called ClipGrab. It's free.

by Anonymousreply 472October 1, 2019 6:01 PM

R463 y2mate is good

by Anonymousreply 473October 1, 2019 6:02 PM

[quote] All this talk of the Long Beach Follies and not a word about the great Susan Johnson?!?!?

Should this place be renamed [bold]DataFollies[/bold]?

by Anonymousreply 474October 1, 2019 6:19 PM

Sure, why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475October 1, 2019 6:27 PM

R472 if I may, how do you use ClipGrab? Just Googled it after your recommendation and downloaded it. How do you download YouTube videos with it?

by Anonymousreply 476October 1, 2019 6:27 PM

you just copy the URL of the youtube page where the clip resides and paste it into the empty area of Clip Grab right below the blue box that says Please enter the link of the video you want to download in the field below.

And then hit the Grab This CLip button

by Anonymousreply 477October 1, 2019 6:31 PM

^^ what a kind reply.

Have you ever been in [bold]Follies[/bold] ? ? ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478October 1, 2019 6:33 PM

Here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479October 1, 2019 6:40 PM

Should there be a new all-male version, centered around the closing of that gogo house Steven Meisel photographed in Madonna's SEX book? (She can't be in it, though.) (#SorryNotSorry)

"The Twink You Didn't Take" / "In Buddy's Ass" / "The Loons Upstairs" / "Who's That; Vulva?" etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480October 1, 2019 7:18 PM

R477 Thank you so much! It worked! :-)

by Anonymousreply 481October 1, 2019 7:24 PM

Susan Johnson was terrific. She was kind of hefty & wore a sort of caftan-gown. Her voice had dropped an octave, but it was still great & she sounded wonderful. I think this was right after she filmed Sister Act.

by Anonymousreply 482October 1, 2019 7:33 PM

[quote]Should there be a new all-male version, centered around the closing of that gogo house Steven Meisel photographed in Madonna's SEX book?

No, it should take place in the late 90s and be centered around the closing of the Adonis Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 483October 1, 2019 7:35 PM

Karen Morrow looks spectacular in that black (blue?) sequined gown.

by Anonymousreply 484October 1, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote] It should take place in the late 90s and be centered around the closing of the Adonis Theatre.

[italic]"In the late 70’s the Adonis was a sexual amusement part. While the images of Jack Wrangler and Movies by Joe Gage flickered on the screen men in the aisles, the seats, the balcony, the bathrooms and anywhere they could find would act out their own sexual fantasies. Sundays were so crowded that it was hard to find a seat in Adonis but that was all that was hard to find. Patrons would literally avoid the seats under the balcony’s edge at busy times for fear of being showered with semen from high above.

The Adonis was crowded at most times of the day, and night. Sleazy, and dark, it attracted a fun, fast crowd. Instead of popcorn you could buy small tubs of lube, cockrings and poppers at the concession stand. And for “boys on a budget” If one didn’t have the $7 admission you could easily meet someone in front of the theater to pay your entrance fee."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485October 1, 2019 8:14 PM

Don't be silly. Set it in the Finocchio's rubble!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486October 1, 2019 8:45 PM

So no one has been to The Inheritance Pt. 1? (Do you only watch "Follies" videos?) There is full nudity plus the actor who plays Toby has a huge ass.

The direction and acting are superb. I will reserve my opinion on the play itself until I see Pt. 2.

I thought that one of the British actors was caught off guard once by the audience's roar to a local reference (there are lots of them and the audience responds accordingly). It was sweet, actually.

by Anonymousreply 487October 1, 2019 9:20 PM

I watched much of that Ireland play. I can see why the audiences are laughing at the pedentary of the small minded man at the centre. I didn't quite buy the psychologist character.

by Anonymousreply 488October 1, 2019 9:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489October 1, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]I thought that one of the British actors was caught off guard once by the audience's roar to a local reference (there are lots of them and the audience responds accordingly). It was sweet, actually.

Could you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 490October 1, 2019 9:50 PM

RED ALERT:

Remember, we do not start a new thread until we approach post #600

Some queens here get very ruffled (even outraged) if this procedure is not followed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491October 1, 2019 10:17 PM

I feel like listenin' to a showtune!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492October 1, 2019 10:21 PM

Any word on the Rialto about further casting for Compani? ("Compani" since Bobby is now Bobbi.)

by Anonymousreply 493October 1, 2019 11:28 PM

The word is "theater," but you wouldn’t know it from all the "theatres" in town:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494October 2, 2019 2:52 AM

Someone said Matt Doyle was playing Jamie in the new Company, which would not be bad casting at all.

by Anonymousreply 495October 2, 2019 2:54 AM

R490 I meant to say he looked happily caught off guard by one of the local flippant/snarky lines later in the play (most of them are early on). I can't imagine that London audiences would roar at a remark about Bushwick (or whatever it was, I can't remember) like the audience I was in here and the actors had to pause before they continued on. Anyways, I thought I could see a momentary gleam of surprise and satisfaction in his eye that the line was so well received.

by Anonymousreply 496October 2, 2019 4:03 AM

saw Alice Ripley in Sunset Blvd last night... it wasn't half bad. She spoke in this high pitched voice that was a little annoying though

by Anonymousreply 497October 2, 2019 1:07 PM

You're wrong, r494, the word is "TUNA".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498October 2, 2019 3:09 PM

[quote]The word is "theater," but you wouldn’t know it from all the "theatres" in town:

This, from a newspaper that for years insisted on spelling employee as "employe."

by Anonymousreply 499October 2, 2019 4:12 PM

The Pasadena Playhouse Little Shop cast needs to come to NYC this winter when Groff, Blanchard, and Borle depart. Salazar, Rodriguez, and Chamberlin. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 500October 2, 2019 4:14 PM

R494 In short, Americans who use 'theatre' are pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 501October 2, 2019 6:54 PM

Some would say reverent.

by Anonymousreply 502October 2, 2019 6:57 PM

Some would say posters on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 503October 2, 2019 7:23 PM

'Theater' is the original Germanic spelling. That's how it's also spelled in German and Dutch. For whatever reason, the Brits adopted the French spelling (théâtre).

by Anonymousreply 504October 2, 2019 8:54 PM

Jonathan Groff Is a Seymour at Heart:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505October 3, 2019 3:17 AM

Ben Brantley and Jesse Green respond to readers curious about the Tony race, hungry for happy fare, and heading to London:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506October 3, 2019 3:22 AM

R505 That article finally confirms what DLers sniffed out over a year ago - Groff is dating this Kiwi:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507October 3, 2019 3:36 AM

Mj Rodriguez and George Salazar blow the roof off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508October 3, 2019 9:49 AM

They seem like they're in a Community College production. He looks like a butch lesbian and she looks more suited to be a queen than an abused gutter dweller. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 509October 3, 2019 12:10 PM

The happy couple?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510October 3, 2019 12:47 PM

[quote]They seem like they're in a Community College production. He looks like a butch lesbian and she looks more suited to be a queen than an abused gutter dweller. Pass.

You sound like a bore.

by Anonymousreply 511October 3, 2019 1:00 PM

In the Pasadena "Little Shop," is Amber Riley actually performing in person, or is her part just recorded?

by Anonymousreply 512October 3, 2019 2:45 PM

Isn't that the tranny who embarrassed himself playing Angel in Rent Live?

by Anonymousreply 513October 3, 2019 5:40 PM

Devoid of any charm whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 514October 3, 2019 5:52 PM

Can either of them sing a straight tone? They're both wobbly as fuck and at times don't seem to know what they're singing.

by Anonymousreply 515October 3, 2019 5:56 PM

Judging from the clip, this Mj Rodriguez person is completely wrong for the role of Audrey in every conceivable way. But I guess they felt they needed to check that box when casting the show. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 516October 3, 2019 6:04 PM

Is George padded in that clip or did he get really fat?

by Anonymousreply 517October 3, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote]Judging from the clip, this Mj Rodriguez person is completely wrong for the role of Audrey in every conceivable way. But I guess they felt they needed to check that box when casting the show. Sad.

And the insufferable Theater Queens emerge from reorganizing their playbill collections in the basement on cue to give their useless opinions once again. Of course they can't be good, they must be exact recreations of the originals, no variations or notes allowed EVER.

by Anonymousreply 518October 3, 2019 8:03 PM

Your rant might be worth something, R518, if the performances were any good, but they aren't.

by Anonymousreply 519October 3, 2019 8:19 PM

I like Mj Rodriguez, I really do. But here, as in Pose, she tends to go overly-earnest in her acting (and singing, apparently). This song needs to be H O T. It's all about sexual tension.

by Anonymousreply 520October 3, 2019 8:32 PM

While I do not expect exact replicas of the original performers, I did miss Audrey's thick Noo Yawk accent on "Me, I'd say shu-ah." Ellen Greene's still makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 521October 3, 2019 8:38 PM

I think it's fine as a vocal performance. But if it similar to how they perform it in the show, it feels oversung. I think by adding riffs and melisma, the song's plaintiveness is lost. It's two sad characters coming together, and the wonderful thing about the song is that it transitions from the initial laugh it gets on "suddenly Seymour is standing beside you..." to something more real and moving. It doesn't have to be Ellen Greene's performance, because no one can do what she did with the role, but the song doesn't need so much embellishment.

by Anonymousreply 522October 3, 2019 8:54 PM

R518 is too stupid and reactionary to understand that whether or not a performance is very different from the original is an ENTIRELY SEPARATE issue from whether the performance fits the character AS WRITTEN. And I realize that performance of "Suddenly, Seymour" linked to above took place outside of the production, but if that's the way this Mj Rodriguez person looks and sounds and acts while singing that song in the show, we do have a case of epic miscasting, which is what often happens when someone is cast for the wrong reasons.

by Anonymousreply 523October 3, 2019 9:05 PM

Just four years ago.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524October 3, 2019 9:10 PM

Greene always looked 50 in the role. It was a little cruel to put her opposite Gyllenhaal. She'd actually look good in Norma Desmond's wardrobe. Are there any pics of DL fave Faith Prince as Audrey?

by Anonymousreply 525October 3, 2019 9:20 PM

She still knocked it out of the park, r525. Here's Faith...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526October 3, 2019 9:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527October 3, 2019 9:26 PM

Faith looked cute then. Obviously it's her signature role but I could never get onboard with Greene - the belt vs. the baby voice, the chasm between the two put me at a distance from the character/performance. Has Greene essayed any of the Great Lady musical roles? I'd rather see her tackle MAME (even if she failed) than Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 528October 3, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote]is too stupid and reactionary to understand that whether or not a performance is very different from the original is an ENTIRELY SEPARATE issue from whether the performance fits the character AS WRITTEN. And I realize that performance of "Suddenly, Seymour" linked to above took place outside of the production, but if that's the way this Mj Rodriguez person looks and sounds and acts while singing that song in the show, we do have a case of epic miscasting, which is what often happens when someone is cast for the wrong reasons.

You proved my point.

by Anonymousreply 529October 3, 2019 9:43 PM

I always did find it odd that Greene was such a huge hit with Audrey, but she's never really done any other of the big musical theatre roles like Mame, Rose, Remo, The Witch, Norma, etc. She might be a good Sally in (wait for it) FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 530October 3, 2019 9:52 PM

Oops. Reno, not Remo.

by Anonymousreply 531October 3, 2019 9:53 PM

Mj Rodriguez was...ok in that clip but the Seymour was much better. Audrey is supposed to have a big voice...that wasn't big.

Was that done in their street clothes or is that how they're costumed for the show? 'Cause, if so, it's awful. Audrey is supposed to be a tacky tramp with a heart of gold...not some depressed schmengie in a t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 532October 3, 2019 9:53 PM

[Quote] I always did find it odd that Greene was such a huge hit with Audrey, but she's never really done any other of the big musical theatre roles like Mame, Rose, Remo, The Witch, Norma, etc. She might be a good Sally in (wait for it) FOLLIES!

Rumors of the D word...

by Anonymousreply 533October 3, 2019 9:57 PM

Ellen Greene is Dutch?

by Anonymousreply 534October 3, 2019 9:59 PM

Here's a Green thread. I was not expecting reply 14...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535October 3, 2019 10:00 PM

*Greene

by Anonymousreply 536October 3, 2019 10:01 PM

She was Rachael Lily Rosenbloom, r530.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537October 3, 2019 10:05 PM

[quote] Mj Rodriguez was...ok in that clip but the Seymour was much better. Audrey is supposed to have a big voice...that wasn't big. Was that done in their street clothes or is that how they're costumed for the show? 'Cause, if so, it's awful. Audrey is supposed to be a tacky tramp with a heart of gold...not some depressed schmengie in a t-shirt.

Audrey is supposed to have a big voice.... Says who? Because Ellen Greene does? Once again this isn't an exact replica of the original Off Broadway show. It's a different version and apparently they have the right to do it as Alan Menken or the rights holders would have stopped it. Some people refused to get it.

by Anonymousreply 538October 3, 2019 10:25 PM

Who was Faith’s Seymour?

by Anonymousreply 539October 3, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]Who was Faith’s Seymour?

In the photo at R527, she's with Lee Wilkof, the original Seymour (off-Broadway). Faith was a replacement Audrey.

by Anonymousreply 540October 3, 2019 11:02 PM

When Lee and Ellen did it in L.A, who was doing it in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 541October 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Casting a man as Audrey seems stupid

by Anonymousreply 542October 3, 2019 11:46 PM

Ellen Greene also started in the national tour of “They’re Playing My Song.” I think it was opposite Victor Garber.

by Anonymousreply 543October 4, 2019 12:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544October 4, 2019 12:55 AM

R529, what idiotic point of yours do you think I "proved?"

[quote]I always did find it odd that Greene was such a huge hit with Audrey, but she's never really done any other of the big musical theatre roles like Mame, Rose, Remo, The Witch, Norma, etc.

I don't find that very odd. Her voice has/had a very distinctive sound that's not appropriate for many roles. Also, I've heard that she is/was extremely neurotic, but of course, that also applies to a lot of other actors :-)

by Anonymousreply 545October 4, 2019 3:05 AM

Greene would have been a very interesting witch in INTO THE WOODS.

by Anonymousreply 546October 4, 2019 3:08 AM

Salazar looks like he's been eating lots of cake.

by Anonymousreply 547October 4, 2019 2:42 PM

He looks like the Hispanic son from "Modern Family".

by Anonymousreply 548October 4, 2019 3:42 PM

Oh no....she's DEAD to us....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549October 4, 2019 5:17 PM

R543 Yes, that's right--I saw them do on their stop in Chicago when I was in college. They were both very good (he sings better than Robert Klein and landed the jokes perfectly well; she brought a tough-daffy quality that felt right--I'd never seen her before and only knew him from the OBC of Sweeney Todd). I was in the balcony--it was an enjoyable, if pretty instantly forgettable show (with a few nice songs).

by Anonymousreply 550October 4, 2019 5:41 PM

It was also instantly forgettable on Broadway with Klein and Lucie Arnaz, R550. Neil Simon one-liners and mostly so-so songs. There's a reason it's never revived.

by Anonymousreply 551October 4, 2019 5:47 PM

I like Marissa Tomei, but am I overly harsh in thinking that THE ROSE TATTOO is the non-event of the season?

I'm avoiding it based on the word-of-mouth.

by Anonymousreply 552October 4, 2019 6:42 PM

Miss Stapleton....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553October 4, 2019 8:13 PM

EVERY BROADWAY REVIVAL MUST HAVE THE TRANS in it or ELSE IT IS UNACCEPTABLE!

Good Lord what foolishness!

by Anonymousreply 554October 5, 2019 6:50 AM

Carroll was heaven in NO STRINGS.

by Anonymousreply 555October 5, 2019 1:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556October 5, 2019 2:08 PM

This has to be the slowest theater thread in recent memory.

by Anonymousreply 557October 5, 2019 4:18 PM

A baby Diahann Carroll in HOUSE OF FLOWERS, 1954.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558October 5, 2019 4:19 PM

And how pretty was Pearl Bailey in the same show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559October 5, 2019 4:20 PM

In NO STRINGS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560October 5, 2019 4:22 PM

They've all been slow lately, R557, because of the paywall.

by Anonymousreply 561October 5, 2019 4:22 PM

She did wear clothes well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562October 5, 2019 4:25 PM

Hostess pants! Gowns of fur! What the Bible really says about segregation!

Gotta love 1962.

by Anonymousreply 563October 5, 2019 4:33 PM

He's here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564October 5, 2019 9:07 PM

I never miss a Brenda Vaccaro musical.

by Anonymousreply 565October 5, 2019 9:22 PM

I saw How Now Dow Jones 3 times! I enjoyed it. Very entertaining. Good score by film composer Elmer Bernstein. Vaccaro was very funny; got a Tony nomination, but didn’t win.

by Anonymousreply 566October 5, 2019 10:52 PM

"House of Flowers" and "No Strings" are both lousy shows with impressive pedigrees. They just ain't any good.

by Anonymousreply 567October 6, 2019 4:12 AM

But the scores are good, even great in the case of House of Flowers.

by Anonymousreply 568October 6, 2019 5:34 AM

Based on photos I've seen over the years, House of Flowers looked like it was one of the most beautifully designed shows ever. The book is a big old mess (based on what was shown at Encores), but the score is glorious.

And WTF is going on with this thread? Last night I tried to post here several times (I'm a paying subscriber, by the way) on my phone but kept getting error messages. This was the only thread where I had that problem. I finally had to use my desktop to post here.

by Anonymousreply 569October 6, 2019 11:25 AM

Only Follies posts are allowed come from phones.

by Anonymousreply 570October 6, 2019 1:04 PM

Can't praise HOW NOW without giving credit to some of Carolyn Leigh's sharpest lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 571October 6, 2019 1:14 PM

[quote]This has to be the slowest theater thread in recent memory.

And your post has contributed tremendously.

by Anonymousreply 572October 6, 2019 1:25 PM

Whatever the merits of its music and lyrics, "How Now" had one of the stupidest books among '60s musicals.

by Anonymousreply 573October 6, 2019 1:26 PM

Agree. And yet I'd still rather see that than Next to Normal.

by Anonymousreply 574October 6, 2019 2:20 PM

[quote]But the scores are good, even great in the case of House of Flowers.

Eh, I've seen productions of both and the scores are "pretty good", but just not as good as I kept hearing. They're both sort of dull. One or two good songs do not constitute a great score in my book.

by Anonymousreply 575October 6, 2019 4:28 PM

Huh. I remember when Sharon Lawrence went in as a replacement Velma. I assumed she had a more extensive Broadway resume than she apparently has.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576October 6, 2019 4:30 PM

ROZA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577October 6, 2019 4:45 PM

I saw Roza twice in LA, where it was a hit, and I loved it. Georgia Brown and Bob Gunton were amazing. Then I saw it the night before it opened in NY. It was like someone had sprinkled it with flop dust. I don’t know what happened to it.

by Anonymousreply 578October 6, 2019 6:29 PM

I just remembered that there was a video of Norbert Butz and Sherrie Scott talking about their upcoming show, in which they hinted at a feud they had at one point. It was a big much ado about nuthin', but I just realized that I never saw a review nor heard any more of the show. Was it aborted? Or did it come and go before anyone noticed?

by Anonymousreply 579October 6, 2019 7:52 PM

[quote]r570 Only Follies posts are allowed to come from phones.

FOLLIES is coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE ! !

by Anonymousreply 580October 6, 2019 8:19 PM

The best song in “How Now Dow Jones” is “Shakespeare Lied.” But it’s offset by cringeworthy songs like “He’s Here,” with its immortal line “My long awaited Lancelot is here, my God, he’s here. Gadzooks, Godwot, I’m trembling in my pants a lot”

by Anonymousreply 581October 6, 2019 8:34 PM

Were her panties wringing wet?

by Anonymousreply 582October 6, 2019 9:43 PM

Only when she was dating Ben Stone, r582.

by Anonymousreply 583October 6, 2019 10:06 PM

Sondheimites must have been orgasming when Ben Patt & Zoey Deutch sang "Unworthy Of Your Love" in "The Politician". Only Ryan Murphy would do this. Of course Queens here will hate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584October 6, 2019 11:13 PM

I thought that was about their cabaret show at 54 BELOW, R 579. So it was much ado about.... not much, to be uncharitable. If anyone else did go, please weigh in.

I really like Norbert. But frankly, Sherie Rene Scott's biggest fan is, was, and always will be Sherie Rene Scott. I'm with Team Patti Lu on that one.

by Anonymousreply 585October 7, 2019 2:12 AM

Aww.....much ado.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586October 7, 2019 2:15 AM

Sam Waterston was so goofball cute when he was young!

He's one of my favorite things about the very flawed GREAT GATSBY with Redford and Mia. Sam and the clothes, which are gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587October 7, 2019 2:19 AM

I'm almost afraid to ask, but there are only 12-13 posts left....

Did someone start a THEATRE GOSSIP #369? I would, but I don't respond well to posters being mean to me.

by Anonymousreply 588October 7, 2019 2:36 AM

^^ I myself have been on the receiving end of the wrath for doing so prematurely - - DON'T RISK IT - - [italic]anybody ! ! !

by Anonymousreply 589October 7, 2019 3:36 AM

"Clairvoyant" is the best song (IMHO) from SCOTLAND, PA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590October 7, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote]The best song in “How Now Dow Jones” is “Shakespeare Lied.”

Maybe so, but this it the only song that had a life outside of the show. It was even used in commercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591October 7, 2019 4:21 AM

Oh, fuck it.

When you speak of me... and you will...

Be kind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592October 7, 2019 4:37 AM

Let's dial down the tense, and up the mellow.....

Time for the soulful song stylings of Miss Bonnie Franklin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593October 7, 2019 4:43 AM

[quote]r592 Oh, fuck it. When you speak of me... and you will...Be kind.

Kind? KIND??

With NO fucking link in the starter post to this old thread??

I am purely [italic]flummoxed.

by Anonymousreply 594October 7, 2019 5:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595October 7, 2019 4:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596October 7, 2019 4:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597October 7, 2019 4:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598October 7, 2019 4:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599October 7, 2019 4:22 PM

Bajour....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 7, 2019 4:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!