Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #369: "Some felt BETRAYAL reached a climax too early in this production" Edition.

As the story goes, you may want to avoid seat B3.

Carry on, kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 26, 2019 5:34 PM

I’ll never get why Hiddleston resigned himself to doing theatre. Not that he’s doing badly, mind you, but he’s a hot piece of ass despite his age and he’s clearly talented as far as acting goes. Why doesn’t he try harder at having a film career? I thought he was great in High-Rise.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2019 4:45 AM

If he has a hot ass, he's extra fortunate because the face...

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2019 4:49 AM

In other news, the much discussed Michael Jackson musical is soldiering on, now called "MJ."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2019 4:51 AM

I just saw Roma Torre's NY1 review of Slave Play. I would say that she loathed it.

The NY Times review however seems to be touting Jeremy Harris as the new Tony Kushner/Tennessee Williams/Arthur Miller.

The most shocking thing is there seems to be plenty of seats available as early as Tuesday night! Where's the audience!?!?

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2019 4:53 AM

" Where's the audience!?!?"

Avoiding it, perhaps? Harris didn't do himself any favors when he blathered on about Rhihanon being some sort of goddess or whatever he called her. If he worships someone like her, he has nothing to say that I want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2019 4:59 AM

R3 I hope they keep this scene from the previews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2019 4:59 AM

I heard Harris on Nico's podcast a couple of years ago. He was insufferable. I remember he said something like "I'm so into [insert random word] right now." He was even worse a guest than Colby Keller.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2019 5:01 AM

R2 His ass makes up for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2019 5:02 AM

After reading the review of Slave Play, i remembered that there was a hot ticket play at the Public a few years ago, that I didnt see, but remember reading raves about it, and expected it to transfer to Broadway, or, at least, have a life after the Public run. I want to say the name was Slave Ship? or something similar? It was also about black's place in history, and white racism, but, as I recall, it had more of gay subtext. Does anyone remember the play I'm thinking of? Does anyone know what became of it?

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2019 5:05 AM

Saw Almost Famous over the weekend at the Old Globe. Huge disappointment. It's a paint by numbers carnival ride that pretty much uses the screenplay verbatim as the book. Tom Kitt is completely the wrong person to have written the score as, with the exception of one song in each act, nothing sounds like rock music or 70s period or as reflecting the material at hand at all. (And both of those new songs are the only ones that work at all.) The opening number, "1973" sounded like "Good Morning, Baltimore." Making it even more plainly obvious is when they sneak snatches of actual 70s rock songs in, from Ramble On by Led Zeppelin to Jean Genie by David Bowie. They also perform, in full, Tiny Dancer, The Wind and River, which is shoehorned in so poorly in the 2nd act after a ridiculously obvious and badly written 1st act forewarning. And like Tootsie, all the new songs are forgettable.

The direction is awful. Jeremy Herrin's idea of working with his leads is to sit them all down and make them watch the movie over and over again while yelling "DO THAT!" Some listened, like Colin Donnell, who does Billy Crudup to a T (and there's nothing more to say about him) and young Casey Likes, who mimics every inflection of Patrick Fugit. Likes, however, has a gorgeous, if not quite trained, voice and charm to spare. They got very lucky with him. Several of the supporting roles also completely mimic their film counterparts, including Anika Larsen, who wants so badly to do more and you can see her struggling. She has a good number that opens the 2nd act called "Rock Stars Have Kidnapped My Son" which is part song, part monologue, the dialogue of which is NOT in the film, and it's the only time she is able to bring her own performance into it, and she knocks it out of the park. I felt sorry for her.

Drew Gehling plays Jeff Beebe and is terribly miscast (and he knows it), though he's busting his ass out there to try and make it work. The four Band-Aids have been cast like a Benetton ad. One is black, one is Asian, one is latina and one is grossly overweight. It wouldn't have bothered me if the effort wasn't so nakedly obvious. (They cast the rest of the band Stillwater slightly similarly and it doesn't stick out the way this did.)

The gal playing Penny Lane makes zero impression outside of her impossibly long legs. She's totally charmless, her voice is like wallpaper and she's a pale imitation of Kate Hudson (which...c'mon). You're left scratching your head as to why these two guys are so crazy about her. The actor playing Lester Bangs has more chemistry with Casey Likes than she does.

Oh, and I have to give a special shout out to the two worst performances, Sam Gravitte as the new manager of Stillwater (the Jimmy Fallon role in the film), who stepped on everyone's lines and either missed his cues or jumped the gun on them and recited his lines as though he'd been handed the script five minutes prior (and no, he was not understudying. That's his role.) And Julia Cassandra playing Polexia (the Asian Band Aid) who spoke in total 21st century "mean girls" inflection and vocal fry throughout the show, as well as using similar body language and gestures. Every time she was on stage, she took me completely out of the show. She should be fired immediately. But then so should the director for allowing it.

All in all, another soulless Disneyfied carnival ride for musical theater, and the perfect tourist trap for Broadway.

The curtain call is the best thing about the show. If the rest of the nearly three hour night were as creative and infectious and full of as much pure joy as it was, then the show would have been a triumph.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2019 5:51 AM

Slave Play was hoorrrrrrrible.

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2019 7:32 AM

R11 Presume the reviews are uniformly all raves.?

by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2019 7:33 AM

Only from the woke SJW apologists.

by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2019 9:46 AM

I loathe the Post's politics, but the review is right on point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2019 9:49 AM

OP, I don't understand 'avoid seat B3'.

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2019 11:19 AM

[quote]Saw Almost Famous over the weekend at the Old Globe. Huge disappointment.

Hated the movie and never got the Cameron Crowe adulation.

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2019 11:45 AM

R15, a few weeks ago it was reported that a woman seated in B3 masturbated, apparently to completion, while staring at Hiddleston.

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2019 12:01 PM

I found out on Saturday that Ali Stroker only performs six shows a week. It’s noted in the Playbill, but not In the ticketing process or on the website.

Terrible production. Not nearly as smart or critical of America as it wants to be, unless you consider sugar-laden cornbread and chili flavored with dusty spices to be trenchant. More off-pitch singing than any Broadway show not starring Lauren Bacall or Elaine Stritch. Lots of touches that are not integrated together into any kind of real vision. What production of Oklahoma has people sitting around for the whole show? The one that has a warning for children.

I thought I might go back to see Ali Stroker, but decided against by intermission.

by Anonymousreply 18October 7, 2019 12:06 PM

Is the Ado Annie understudy also in a wheelchair?

by Anonymousreply 19October 7, 2019 12:46 PM

No. She was a decent singer and actor, but she looked extremely awkward. Apparently, the earlier productions had an Ado Annie who was not in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 20October 7, 2019 12:49 PM

LINDA VISTA is probably a good play, but the main character is such a douchebag from beginning to end, who'll want to see it? There's no character arc, he's the same miserable fuck throughout the play, and the character learns nothing by the end.

BELLA BELLA is Harvey playing Bella Abzug with no drag, just his big lumpy self dressed in black, with painted toenails. No attempt to even sound like Bella.

Why is everyone getting so fucking lazy and still charging top prices?

by Anonymousreply 21October 7, 2019 2:03 PM

SLAVE PLAY's longest section is an interminable scene of group therapy unpacking the sex acts of the first section. It's long and dull and laden with therapy-speak, which it satirizes, but only sorta. It is basically boring.

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2019 3:15 PM

Just heard through the grapevine that Wildhorn's Bonnie & Clyde musical will finally making its West End debut next year, followed by a UK tour. Any truth to that? I've seen no announcement on BWW.

by Anonymousreply 23October 7, 2019 5:06 PM

Law & Order in the background. That voice made me look up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 7, 2019 6:19 PM

Does the actress in a wheelchair get the star dressing room on the ground floor or does someone have to carry her chair upstairs to the chorus dressing rooms? Those old Broadway theaters weren't built for handi-capable performers.

by Anonymousreply 25October 7, 2019 6:44 PM

Now that THE LIGHTENING THIEF has started previews....

TOOTSIE is no longer the worst-selling musical on Bway.

But still at under 70% capacity.

by Anonymousreply 26October 7, 2019 7:27 PM

Woo-hoo! This is on in an hour.....

Murder, She Wrote

TODAY, 1:00 PM ON COZI 4.2, 1 HR 1985 TV-PG

Season 1 • Episode 12 • Broadway Malady

Jessica suspects there's more there than meets the eye when a budding stage actress is critically wounded during a mugging. Milton Berle has a cameo. Rita Talbot: Vivian Blaine. Barry Bristol: Gregg Henry. Marc Faber: Robert Morse. Patti Bristol: Lorna Luft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 7, 2019 7:31 PM

[quote]Does the actress in a wheelchair get the star dressing room on the ground floor or does someone have to carry her chair upstairs to the chorus dressing rooms? Those old Broadway theaters weren't built for handi-capable performers.

Circle is pretty modern, though, so it might have elevators.

by Anonymousreply 28October 7, 2019 8:00 PM

R18 Dame Diana Rigg will have lazy bitches guts for garters. 6 shows a week? Why even bother casting the lazt slut

by Anonymousreply 29October 7, 2019 8:10 PM

So a singer’s name flew into my head who I literally had not thought of in decades and I was left wondering about her and knew you all will have the scoop. WHET Linda Ender?

Wikipedia doesn’t fill in much, she was a sudden sensation in Jekyll and Hyde, beloved by Rosie and I recall a mainstream album that had the gays touting her as the second coming of LuPone. It mentions a musical she was in based on Camille Claudel and more albums that a nobody has a right too, but nothing substantial since the 90s. Why didn’t she have more of a career as a singer and Broadway star? And what was her somewhat successful hit song late 90s that the gays seemed to love?

by Anonymousreply 30October 7, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]WHET Linda Ender?

It's "EDER" you peasant.

And my ex-husband, Frank Wildhorn, had me blacklisted from Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 31October 7, 2019 9:04 PM

She was her, Don Quixote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 7, 2019 9:08 PM

Right after HE was blacklisted from Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 33October 7, 2019 9:08 PM

I really enjoy Linda Eder's voice. Her "Broadway, My Way" album is very good. "Gold," from the above is a fantastic number

by Anonymousreply 34October 7, 2019 11:42 PM

Linda Eder also had a lovely Christmas cd.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2019 12:43 AM

I have a serious question. During a musical, do the dancers have time to shower? They do a huge, strenuous dance number at the close of Act 1. Do they have time to shower or do they just sit around backstage in their sweaty costumes?

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2019 1:42 AM

No, r36. They only have enough time to masturbate.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2019 1:59 AM

Re Almost Famous at the Old Globe - it got across-the-board rave reviews, including from Charles McNulty in the LAT, who is not easy to please. Most thought it could give Moulin Rouge some genuine Tonycompetition if it comes in this season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2019 2:04 AM

R36, I really don't think they have time to shower and re-apply makeup. A camera outside one theater shows that some choose to go outside and dance frantically, all the while complaining about how hot it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2019 2:04 AM

Tom Hiddleston used to be sexy when he was young. What happened?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2019 2:05 AM

But his ass is still great, as seen in R8.

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2019 2:06 AM

[quote]But his ass is still great

Pfffffffffft! That's a stunt ass.

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2019 2:09 AM

RE: Linda Eder

R30 [quote]It mentions a musical she was in based on Camille Claudel...

R34 [quote]Her "Broadway, My Way" album is very good. "Gold," from the above is a fantastic number ...

"Gold" is the final number from Camille Claudel. And it is a fantastic number. Linda Eder played the title role with Michael Nouri as her lover Rodin in a workshop production at Goodspeed many years ago. It was rumored that her affair with Nouri was the cause of her divorce from Frank Wildhorn.

Camille Claudel the Musical is coming to the Signature Theatre in DC this season. They are billing it as the "world-premiere run" which, in my opinion, it is not.

Frank Wildhorn, for all the scorn and ridicule he gets here on DL, is a sweetheart and very talented man. No one writes a power ballad better.

IMHO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote] Re Almost Famous at the Old Globe - it got across-the-board rave reviews, including from Charles McNulty in the LAT, who is not easy to please. Most thought it could give Moulin Rouge some genuine Tonycompetition if it comes in this season.

McNulty is hardly difficult to please.

The few reviews that Almost Famous got were not all raves. Outside of McNulty, they were good, but not raves, and they never really went into detail as to what made the show work. I'm not sure they know. If you're the kind of person who likes to see Ice Capade versions of your favorite movies, then yes, you'll jizz over AF until the cows come home.

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2019 3:05 AM

Saw 'Becoming Nancy' in Atlanta. Reminded me a lot of 'The Prom'. Needs to lose about ten minutes of second act, needs the first act climax restaged and needs a better set designer. Decent score and some nice performances. I've known Zachary Sayle, the lead since he was ten. He's grown up kind of nerdy cute.

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2019 3:05 AM

But, Wildhorn never copulated with Eder, right? Cause I met him once and flames, flames, flames, on the side of my face.

by Anonymousreply 46October 8, 2019 3:14 AM

Well, Linda and Frank have a child, so there's that. Of course, I suppose that might not be as straightforward as one would assume.

by Anonymousreply 47October 8, 2019 4:35 AM

I’ve seen Linda Eder 3 or 4 times in concert or cabaret. I think she’s great. I remember seeing her in Jekyll and Hyde with Christiane Noll and thinking I’d never heard more beautiful voices in my life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2019 11:14 AM

Curious about Slave Play dropping 62K from last week. And yet they are at 94 percent capacity, yet only approximately 42 percent of gross potential.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 8, 2019 1:04 PM

They're cooking the books, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 50October 8, 2019 1:40 PM

Well, Linda Eder is no Sarah Brightman!

by Anonymousreply 51October 8, 2019 2:13 PM

And they're no.....ME!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 8, 2019 2:59 PM

Reviews for Heroes of the Fourth Turning are largely excellent. Surprised the hell out of me. I thought it a pretentious mess.

by Anonymousreply 53October 8, 2019 3:28 PM

Jesus! Must everything on Broadway be politicized? Can't we just be entertained?

by Anonymousreply 54October 8, 2019 3:33 PM

[quote]But, Wildhorn never copulated with Eder, right? Cause I met him once and flames, flames, flames, on the side of my face.

I met Wildhorn once briefly, and he didn't at all strike me as gay. Are you sure you're not confusing him with someone else?

by Anonymousreply 55October 8, 2019 3:45 PM

Perfect example of a Frank Wildhorn/Linda Eder power ballad collaboration: Vienna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 8, 2019 7:06 PM

this thread is crawling, too. and it isn't even behind a paywall yet.

by Anonymousreply 57October 8, 2019 7:13 PM

Thanks for your contribution .

This is the Company key art?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 8, 2019 7:36 PM

That's similar to the full-page ad that ran in the Times on Oct. 6, R58. She wasn't holding a glass, though, and her smile was more rueful amid all the mylar balloons.

by Anonymousreply 59October 8, 2019 8:34 PM

R59 Thank you beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 8, 2019 8:49 PM

Nobody ever talks about this Jamie....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 8, 2019 8:55 PM

Jamie is over and Jamie is done.

by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2019 9:04 PM

Holy shit, r58, I saw that a few days ago and assumed it was something put together by a fan. I had no idea it was an actual PR thing.

I must say, seeing that quick glimpse of Richard Fleeshman stripped down to only his well-packed briefs made me sad that he's not going to be doing the NY version.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2019 9:22 PM

R63 The image looks really flip to me, like she is attending a Barbie Princess party.

Richard is very...talented

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2019 9:35 PM

But I really want Jonty Bailey to come. Ever since Broadchurch I have adored him. And those reviews for Company were very very very very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2019 9:38 PM

Slave Play is the most brilliant piece of literature ever written. It is a raw and uncompromising look at the foundations of white racism, a topic that has been ignored for too long. anyone who does not love it or refuses to see it is a blatant racist and potential white supremacist.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2019 9:39 PM

R65, Jonathan Bailey has become a Shonda Rhimes boy now. He is co-starring in her new series.

Someone mentioned in the last thread that Matt Doyle is playing Jamie, but I don't know if they really knew something or were just goofing.

by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2019 10:02 PM

R67 I heard, I think we need to organize a rescue party.

by Anonymousreply 68October 8, 2019 10:27 PM

Bailey was also great in the Phoebe W-B series CRASHING.

by Anonymousreply 69October 8, 2019 11:15 PM

And Doctor Who

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 8, 2019 11:26 PM

Jonty in Crashing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 8, 2019 11:28 PM

Wildhorn is a total and complete hack.

He’s practically Shelley Hack.

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2019 1:47 AM

Shelley Hack wasn't competent enough to be a hack.

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2019 2:42 AM

Frank Wildhorn wrote the score for WONDERLAND: 30 previews, 33 performances on Bway in 2011.

Alongside ALICE AT THE PALACE (by Elizabeth Swados) and ALICE BY HEART (by Duncan Sheik), these 3 represent 1) 3 of the worst shows I've experienced in my life, and 2) arguably, the worst work in the lives of 3 composers with literally, nothing in common with one another...

Except that they all wrote musicals based on ALICE IN WONDERLAND.

Therein lies the lesson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2019 2:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2019 2:58 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2019 2:59 AM

I can't find the picture, sadly, but the photo at R74 reminds me of one of the illustrations from "Little Me," by Patrick Dennis, in which Belle Poitrine is costumed as Alice in a bid to be cast in Paramount's 1930s movie version of "Alice In Wonderland." She's wearing Alice's traditional puffy-sleeved dress and pinafore, except that the dress is low-cut to display Belle's ample bosom.

by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2019 3:02 AM

I'm unfamiliar with those other versions, but it serves the point: has there ever been a good musical adaptation of ALICE?

I mean, besides this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2019 3:05 AM

[quote]I'm unfamiliar with those other versions, but it serves the point: has there ever been a good musical adaptation of ALICE?

Even Disney's 1950s animated version was a box-office disappointment, and Walt himself didn't like it, saying that it lacked "heart." It was shown on television fairly early, at a time when the classic animated features were never shown on television but instead re-released to theaters every seven years.

by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2019 3:11 AM

My god, I saw that as a child, and didn't even recall it being a musical, R79.

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2019 3:14 AM

Cary Grant as the Mock Turtle in Paramount's 1933 (non-musical) movie adaptation, in which Belle Poitrine hoped to star. The all-star cast also included Gary Cooper as the White Knight and W.C. Fields as Humpty Dumpty (the movie combined characters from "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass"). But Paramount made the mistake of making the stars unrecognizable under heavy masks and costumes, a mistake that MGM was determined to avoid six years later in "The Wizard of Oz."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2019 3:29 AM

R80 Really? There are like 20 songs in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2019 3:31 AM

Were/are any of them memorable?

by Anonymousreply 83October 9, 2019 3:39 AM

The songs were jaunty and amusing enough, R83, but certainly not on the level of the scores to "Pinocchio" or "Snow White."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 9, 2019 3:53 AM

My favorite was "The Walrus and the Carpenter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 9, 2019 4:24 AM

I love the songs in Disney's "Alice in wonderland." The title song is delightful, and "Very Good Advice" is superb. If you've only heard it in the movie, you wouldn't know, because Kathryn Beaumont couldn't sing for shit and for some reason Disney didn't get a different voice to sing the songs.

by Anonymousreply 86October 9, 2019 6:15 AM

“I’m Late” had a bit of a life from Disney’s Alice. Barbara Cook, of all people, recorded a fun version of it.

by Anonymousreply 87October 9, 2019 10:26 AM

As did the other TRUE Babs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 9, 2019 12:23 PM

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it either, r77.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2019 3:16 PM

I always liked her in The Scarlet Letter, myself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2019 3:25 PM

R90 was it better than Demi Moore's version?

by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2019 3:44 PM

Sur le plage....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2019 3:50 PM

Lunching with "Roz."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 9, 2019 3:57 PM

A low point....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 9, 2019 4:24 PM

Devoted mother Belle with her cherished Baby-dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 9, 2019 4:40 PM

[R86]: Disney's Alice in Wonderland had probably the best song score of any musical version of the source material. Interestingly, few of the songs, with the exception of "Golden Afternoon," are sung complete in the film, but remain fragmentary, interrupted by some kind of action. As noted, Kathryn Beaumont, otherwise the perfect voice for ever-prim Alice, can't really sing, and breaks up the "Golden Afternoon" sequence when she can't reach a note, and her voice breaks.

Interestingly, there was no soundtrack recording issued for the Disney Alice, until a CD in the 1990's, perhaps because of the fragmentary nature of the recordings used in the film. Consequently, during the 50's, the Disney company released a re-recording of the score, conducted by Camarata, with Mousketeer Darlene Gillespie singing Alice. The arrangements are not the same as those in the film, neither is the choral work, but Gillespie records the only, as far as I know, complete rendition of the best song in the score, "Very Good Advice," which is wonderful, and well deserves a life beyond the score. A perfect torch song.

Frankly, I have never understood the fascination Alice in Wonderland has for film and theater writers. Alice is more or less a passive observer, while all kinds of crazy antics occur around her. Though she encounters sometimes terrifying experiences, she wakes up at the end, the same rather bland, ever prim young English girl. (Hey! It was all a dream!) Unlike, say, a similar character in The Wizard of Oz, Alice doesn't really have an emotional through line; her only character trait being mostly her curiosity. Not much on which to construct a story, though the books are longterm bestsellers. (You can get away with a lot more in a book...)

I actually don't think there's ever been a successful theater or film version of the tale. Andre Gregory's psychedelic take on it in the early 70's had a kind of success, but hardly any further than Off Off Broadway. No film version has ever been successful. (The Disney cartoon was a flop when originally released in 1951, but found an audience in the 1970's, when it was marketed to the psychedelic crowd, and is now regarded as a classic. Disney, himself, was displeased with it, when he noted that his animators seemed to try to outdo each other in craziness with their sequences, which never ultimately meshed. The best sequence in it is probably the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, but, like everything else in the movie, that comes and goes, before we are subjected to yet another crazy antic. The voices in the film, though, are perfect, from Little Miss Brit Beaumont to Ed Wynn's Mad Hatter and Verna Felton's Queen of Hearts. And the color and design by Disney stalwart Mary Blair, probably her best work, are beautiful.)

by Anonymousreply 96October 9, 2019 5:17 PM

The TV version of Alice in Wonderland from '85 with Carol Channing and a whole slew of well-known folks was pretty good. It was a musical and I still remember some of the songs, so that must be a positive sign. That version seems fairly beloved by people my age.

by Anonymousreply 97October 9, 2019 5:43 PM

R96, the Eva le Gallienne production in 1932-33 was a huge success. It not only ran for over a year, but sparked an interest in all things Alice. Anything that one could slap an image of Alice in Wonderland on, was made. Unfortunately, the revival in the 1980s just could not capture the magic of the original.

by Anonymousreply 98October 9, 2019 5:47 PM

I miss Follies.

by Anonymousreply 99October 9, 2019 5:55 PM

Writers are attracted to Alice because it offers an excuse to write a bunch of songs as opposed to a unified score. More specifically, it affords lazy songwriters the opportunity to fall back on pastiche.

What they always find out too late is that the story has no dramatic spine. Picaresque and episodic tales generally don’t work on stage.

by Anonymousreply 100October 9, 2019 6:19 PM

"Sweet Charity" gets revived fairly often, though. After the Widow Simon croaks, will they commision a whole new book?

by Anonymousreply 101October 9, 2019 6:21 PM

[quote] Alice doesn't really have an emotional through line; her only character trait being mostly her curiosity. Not much on which to construct a story, though the books are longterm bestsellers. (You can get away with a lot more in a book...)

The two "Alice" books are also incredibly witty and just a lot of fun to read. But the reason the Disney movie lacked heart was because the story, essentially, has no heart, which makes it a poor choice to adapt into a musical.

by Anonymousreply 102October 9, 2019 6:25 PM

[quote]The TV version of Alice in Wonderland from '85 with Carol Channing and a whole slew of well-known folks was pretty good. It was a musical and I still remember some of the songs, so that must be a positive sign. That version seems fairly beloved by people my age.

It's nice that you enjoyed it, but have you watched any of it recently? The songs, by Steve Allen, are mostly terrible, as a couple of the clips on this thread attest. And Allen tried to give it a "Wizard of Oz"-like ending, with the Wonderland characters singing about how much they love Alice and how much they're going to miss her, which is about as far away from the witty and cerebral tone of the original books as it's possible to get.

by Anonymousreply 103October 9, 2019 6:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 9, 2019 6:34 PM

The Duncan Sheik Alice was a steaming pile of dogshit

by Anonymousreply 105October 9, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]The Duncan Sheik Alice was a steaming pile of dogshit

I suspect that the only place in the entire universe where this statement would be remotely comprehensible is right here on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 106October 9, 2019 7:00 PM

R106 LOL! It took me a moment to realize what 'Duncan Sheik Alice' meant.

by Anonymousreply 107October 9, 2019 7:29 PM

Sorry, guys. I assumed since we were talking about Alice in Wonderland and the Duncan Sheik version just happened that it would be more apparent. : )

by Anonymousreply 108October 9, 2019 7:48 PM

[R96] here again.

I acquired the laser disk release of Disney’s Alice back in the 90’s, a heavy box containing several disks. Among the multitude of extras included were audio demos of maybe 50 songs that were never used. My eagerness to hear unknown treasures quickly waned; practically all of them were unmemorable clever ditties, nothing more. It was actually a chore to listen to them all.

There are reasons why deleted songs are called that.

by Anonymousreply 109October 9, 2019 8:03 PM

Maybe our next gossip thread can be dominated by Fiddler on the Roof? Bette Midler, Adrienne Barbeau and a host of others cycled through the original production.

by Anonymousreply 110October 9, 2019 9:38 PM

DL obsession Luke Evans (to some, anyway) is releasing his first album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 9, 2019 10:07 PM

I never miss a Lee Evans album.

by Anonymousreply 112October 9, 2019 10:36 PM

I can’t believe they misspelled Letch’s last name in that movie poster at r90! It’s Letch FEELY, not Fleely!

by Anonymousreply 113October 9, 2019 10:52 PM

Remember when Belle Poitrine and Letch Feely built their own version of Pickfair? They called it Belleletch.

by Anonymousreply 114October 9, 2019 10:56 PM

Letch Feeley gives me all the feels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 9, 2019 11:00 PM

Okay, so I've been out of the loop and just learned that mixed-race and effeminately gay Isaac Powell has been cast as Tony, the former gang leader of Polish descent, in the upcoming West Side Story revival. WTF?! And I thought Richard Beymer in the film was miscast!

by Anonymousreply 116October 10, 2019 12:01 AM

Doesn't Isaac Powell playing Tony pretty much negate the story?

by Anonymousreply 117October 10, 2019 12:12 AM

I look forward to the plexiglass set and video projections.

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2019 12:17 AM

I look forward to the one door set and video projections

by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2019 12:32 AM

I posted first about all the bad musical ALICEs upthread, and I just want to thank some of you for sharing some very knowledgeable, insightful posts on the subject! Some of you are just so savvy and interesting.

Now... let's resume our usual petty cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2019 12:56 AM

Will Isaac show his bare ass in the bed scene as Paul Nolan did at Stratford?

by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2019 1:08 AM

Letch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2019 2:29 AM

Steve Allen and John Barry each wrote one for TV. Also bad.

by Anonymousreply 123October 10, 2019 3:53 AM

I forgot about the John Barry Alice in Wonderland. I believe that was a British theatrical film, though. Some pretty songs, though. There was one called The Me I Never Knew which was covered by a few people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 10, 2019 4:38 AM

So, we've settled that!

Alice in Wonderland just doesn't work as musical theater OR film.

New topic!

What's Mario Cantone up to?

by Anonymousreply 125October 10, 2019 5:42 AM

[quote] What's Mario Cantone up to?

About 10/10 on the screeching decibel level.

by Anonymousreply 126October 10, 2019 7:14 AM

Honey, the Datalounge has PLENTY of lonely gay men of its own.

Yours are merely superfluous to need.

by Anonymousreply 127October 10, 2019 11:37 AM

"Slave Play" has extended its run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 10, 2019 2:14 PM

Pink flamingos....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 10, 2019 2:18 PM

R129 Why? I thought it wasn't selling well and the article doesn't state a reason.

by Anonymousreply 130October 10, 2019 4:19 PM

So this is turning into a fucking Alice in Wonderland thread? How about Suessical instead?

by Anonymousreply 131October 10, 2019 4:31 PM

R132 the topic came up and it was surprising how many musical adaptations there have been, most of them so-so or just downright bad. I don't know why that seems unsuitable for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 132October 10, 2019 4:34 PM

Throw it into the mix, r132! Unless you have something better. I assume if there was something more theatrically earth shattering out there, someone would post about it. Or we could just let the thread stand still and petrify.

by Anonymousreply 133October 10, 2019 4:39 PM

Let's shake it up with some Benay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 10, 2019 4:41 PM

Well...we could talk about....I dunno.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 10, 2019 4:49 PM

Linda Eder still plays in the stix--she does her holiday show about an hour north of NYC

by Anonymousreply 136October 10, 2019 4:51 PM

Fuck off Benay!

by Anonymousreply 137October 10, 2019 5:00 PM

r40, He decided to lose weight. Got wizened.

by Anonymousreply 138October 10, 2019 5:11 PM

He already had witch face.

by Anonymousreply 139October 10, 2019 5:13 PM

R140 LOL!

There should be a thread about celebs with witch faces.

My contribution: Reese Witherspoon

by Anonymousreply 140October 10, 2019 5:19 PM

Oh c'mon, r138, she DID need the softness.

by Anonymousreply 141October 10, 2019 5:31 PM

Slave Play is only extending two weeks. And I'll bet $20 right now the extension is quietly rescinded during the holidays. They can't keep papering that flop forever.

by Anonymousreply 142October 10, 2019 5:57 PM

I did NOT say "Fuck off, Benay" dammit! I said "Fuck YOU, Benay." Get your motherfucking facts straight!

by Anonymousreply 143October 10, 2019 6:04 PM

Did Jackie Susann ever hit on Benay when she realized she couldn't get to Ethel?

by Anonymousreply 144October 10, 2019 6:27 PM

[quote]Slave Play is only extending two weeks. And I'll bet $20 right now the extension is quietly rescinded during the holidays. They can't keep papering that flop forever.

Why even bother extending for two weeks? I guess they view it as something on which to pin a pointless press release. In this case, one of those stupid "shatters box-office records at the ______ Theater" obviously wasn't going to work.

by Anonymousreply 145October 10, 2019 7:27 PM

[quote]So this is turning into a fucking Alice in Wonderland thread?

Hey, it's not "Follies" or "Gypsy."

by Anonymousreply 146October 10, 2019 8:13 PM

I find it's turning more Pousse Cafe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 10, 2019 8:19 PM

[quote] Why even bother extending for two weeks? I guess they view it as something on which to pin a pointless press release. In this case, one of those stupid "shatters box-office records at the ______ Theater" obviously wasn't going to work.

That's exactly why. It's a ploy to stir up interest by making the gullible think there are very few tickets left in hopes they'll proclaim, "Oh my god, that SJW screed I've been bullied into thinking is good for me is close to sold out. I'd better get a ticket before it's too late to have a miserable time."

by Anonymousreply 148October 10, 2019 8:47 PM

R149 LOL

by Anonymousreply 149October 10, 2019 8:53 PM

Strange that the article didn't list a reason for the extension.

by Anonymousreply 150October 10, 2019 8:54 PM

I heard the press release initially was titled "Browbeating to Continue Another 16 performances for Slave Play" but it was nixed at the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 151October 10, 2019 8:56 PM

[quote]Did Jackie Susann ever hit on Benay when she realized she couldn't get to Ethel?

Why would anyone try to "get" Ethel? Mary Martin I can see. But Ethel? Ewwwwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 152October 10, 2019 9:35 PM

MM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 10, 2019 9:39 PM

R136 Christine Baranski sounded great on that track, but apparently it was Faith Prince who got the best reviews in the flop musical. If only Baranski had kept up her voice by the time she did "Follies".

by Anonymousreply 154October 10, 2019 10:46 PM

I don't recall asking for a Michael Jackson musical. Did any of you ask for a Michael Jackson musical?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 10, 2019 11:23 PM

Merman wasn’t too bad in the early 1940s, when Jackie would have known her. Plus she had a great pair of knockers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 10, 2019 11:48 PM

I'd like remake of this musical.

The counterpoint of rhythm and melody in this song still gives me goosebumps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 10, 2019 11:57 PM

I love Ethel’s performance in that number. When she sings the song for the second time her showbiz performing instincts kick in big time, and she is just so dammed funny and joyous. Her arm movements always crack me up.

by Anonymousreply 158October 11, 2019 12:06 AM

[quote]Christine Baranski sounded great on that track, but apparently it was Faith Prince who got the best reviews in the flop musical. If only Baranski had kept up her voice by the time she did "Follies".

I saw Nick and Nora twice. Once in early previews and once right before it opened. It was one of those musicals where you just think "This can't fail." And they started announcing the cast and it was a list of some of Broadway's best talents.

And then I went to see it and I thought, "Sweet mother of God, this show is terrible. I mean really bad." It was the most lush train wreck I've ever seen.

Poor Christine. In the middle of it all, they yanked her song that wasn't working and replaced it with a song that was just as bad. Faith Prince had a showy role, but I don't think she was any better than anyone else. Debra Monk also did excellent work with very poor material.

I know Arthur Laurents, in his book, blamed a lot of different things, but he was truly to blame for it. The story was confusing, the direction was a mess. And worst of all, they played it like a murder mystery rather than a bubbly comedy with a bit of mystery thrown in.

And at first, I thought Joanna Gleason and Barry Bostwick were well cast, but then when I saw the show I thought different. Gleason didn't have the sassy verve that Myrna Loy had and Bostwick didn't have Powell's effete drunk.

And worst of all, the PR Department dragged poor Myrna Loy to see the show. At late-eighties years old, she had to sit through that shit and then smile and say how it brought back many happy memories for her.

by Anonymousreply 159October 11, 2019 12:25 AM

Has anyone seen The Inheritance yet? I’m seeing both parts on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 160October 11, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote]And worst of all, they played it like a murder mystery rather than a bubbly comedy with a bit of mystery thrown in.

Bingo. That’s the thing about musical mysteries; the mysteries can’t be the focal point. They take up too much real estate in our minds and the songs just get in the way.

by Anonymousreply 161October 11, 2019 12:41 AM

The Michael Jackson musical is titled MJ? Perhaps because I grew up with brothers and a father who were sports nut, MJ to me is Michael Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 162October 11, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote]Bingo. That’s the thing about musical mysteries; the mysteries can’t be the focal point.

Even in the films, the murders were almost secondary. You had Nick and Nora ripping off comedy bits all the way through the movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 11, 2019 12:50 AM

The Michael Jackson musical is titled MJ?

They should have titled it BJ.

by Anonymousreply 164October 11, 2019 1:00 AM

[quote] And worst of all, the PR Department dragged poor Myrna Loy to see the show

I got paid a cool coupla thou for three hours’ work, so what the fuck did I care about how shitty the show was? Besides, I turned my hearing aid off for Act Two and took a nap, so I was refreshed and ready to lie when I had the meet and greet afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 165October 11, 2019 1:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 11, 2019 2:52 AM

I still think Gleason and Bostwick were perfect for it. It wasn't their faults. The book sucked, making Nick and Nora into a battling couple that took all the fun out of it. The conflict between them should have been about who could solve the crime. The only one who got out alive was Faith Prince, who was funny. And the best number was when the cast starts kicking her body all the way downstage.

by Anonymousreply 167October 11, 2019 12:43 PM

[quote]And the best number was when the cast starts kicking her body all the way downstage.

LOL! What?

by Anonymousreply 168October 11, 2019 12:46 PM

Gleason and Bostwick are supporting actors. That alone makes them wrong to play the leads in anything.

by Anonymousreply 169October 11, 2019 12:55 PM

Incidentally, Joanna Gleason met husband Chris Sarandon while working on NICK & NORA. It was the third marriage for both.

by Anonymousreply 170October 11, 2019 1:44 PM

Barry Bostwick played leading roles -- and apparently played them very well -- in the original Broadway production of GREASE, in the almost original Broadway cast of THE ROBBER BRIDEGROOM, and in THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. Joanna Gleason has played few if any leading roles that I know of, instead earning several major awards and nominations for featured roles, but she certainly has the talent for it. Anyone who thinks NICK & NORA was the fault of anyone other than Arthur Laurents is an ignoramus.

by Anonymousreply 171October 11, 2019 2:12 PM

Joanna Gleason was one of the stars of I Love My Wife and won the Tony for Best Actress for Into the Woods. She has graduated to supporting parts...

And, yes, there was a number in the show where at the end of it, they formed a kickline and came downstage together, pretending to kick Faith Prince's body as she rolled down in front of them. It was probably the highlight of the show.

by Anonymousreply 172October 11, 2019 2:56 PM

How can a misanthropic play like Linda Vista get raves, when there is no character arc and no real story, as the character is still the same loathsome pig in the last scene as he is in the first? Oh yeah, women of all ages will really love Second Stage for throwing this thing at them.

by Anonymousreply 173October 11, 2019 3:46 PM

R173 Was it supposed to be comical? Sounds like a bizarre sight.

by Anonymousreply 174October 11, 2019 3:57 PM

Faith's Anna.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 11, 2019 3:58 PM

I saw part 1 of The Inheritance last weekend. It does not disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 176October 11, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote]Was it supposed to be comical? Sounds like a bizarre sight.

It was really pitiful. They did this scenario where every suspect reenacted their killing. Faith Prince was the victim, so she had to go through all the potential murder scenarios.

by Anonymousreply 177October 11, 2019 4:18 PM

I wish her "Men" was on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 178October 11, 2019 4:23 PM

The miscasting of Isaac Powell as 'Tony' is so bizarre! It's as if they purposely didn't want to hire a straight white actor in the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 179October 11, 2019 4:56 PM

None of y'all said Powell was flaming in that Island show, though....

by Anonymousreply 180October 11, 2019 5:10 PM

In ONCE ON THIS ISLAND, I thought Isaac Powell came across as very young (and very beautiful) rather than gay. But I agree that he's VERY odd casting for Tony in WEST SIDE STORY, even in a production that's apparently going to be non-traditional, to put it mildly!

by Anonymousreply 181October 11, 2019 5:38 PM

[quote] [R173] Was it supposed to be comical? Sounds like a bizarre sight.

It was supposed to be comical, and the number itself was the only highlight of a truly turgid evening. It was clever and funny and the song was memorable and Prince's performance was totally a "star is born" moment. You started to think- Oh, maybe the tide is turning and this show isn't going to suck 100%. But the effect of the kickline was pure "Bad Theater We Love" and ruined any good will the number had engendered and we were back to garbage. And there was a LOT of garbage to go from there.

by Anonymousreply 182October 11, 2019 6:42 PM

I like Baranski (even as a singer) but that NICK & NORA song upthread is woefully bad.

There's a reason even musical theatre geeks don't know or appreciate this show.

by Anonymousreply 183October 11, 2019 7:07 PM

I worked headsets at the Marquis for four shows (a weekend) on Nick & Nora, which is how I got to see it, and the show was so enervating that it took me all four performances to make it through. I watched the first act the first night and then broke up the 2nd act over three more shows.

I also got called back into the lobby a few times to take back headsets from people walking out.

by Anonymousreply 184October 11, 2019 7:12 PM

Love Dorothy Collins’s voice in that clip above. And how funny that the eating sounds (fork hitting plate, etc.) of the man sitting next to her were almost as loud as her singing.

by Anonymousreply 185October 11, 2019 7:16 PM

And poor Josie de Guzman was probably glad she was fired from Nick and Nora. Josie had to follow that reenactment song "A Busy Night At Lorraine's" with that stupid "Chicka Boom" number and by then everybody was halfway to their cars.

by Anonymousreply 186October 11, 2019 7:19 PM

[quote]I worked headsets at the Marquis for four shows (a weekend) on Nick & Nora, which is how I got to see it, and the show was so enervating that it took me all four performances to make it through. I watched the first act the first night and then broke up the 2nd act over three more shows. I also got called back into the lobby a few times to take back headsets from people walking out.

N&N was one of very, very few Broadway shows I ever left at intermission, because I just couldn't take any more of it, and curiosity wasn't enough to make me stick around. THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC was another.

by Anonymousreply 187October 11, 2019 7:26 PM

Anyone see BRING BACK BIRDIE?

The 80s was a golden age for terrible musicals, including sequels to more successful show.

by Anonymousreply 188October 11, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote]THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE GOES PUBLIC was another.

I saw that the night Donald Trump attended with Marla Maples! He was sitting two rows in front of me!

by Anonymousreply 189October 11, 2019 7:30 PM

Also from "Your Hit Parade," Dorothy's "Unchained Melody."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 11, 2019 8:49 PM

Lorraine's isn't on Youtube either, r187. Oh well.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 11, 2019 8:59 PM

I laughed, I cried....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 11, 2019 9:02 PM

That clip at R191 always makes me think of her as Young Sally. What an amazing voice she had.

by Anonymousreply 193October 11, 2019 9:03 PM

For r189....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194October 11, 2019 9:05 PM

'Anyone see BRING BACK BIRDIE?"

If memory serves, Act One ended with Donald O'Connor seated on a toilet bowl while his new talent discovery, a punk band called FILTH, played their t(h)rash-y tune, while a giant latex tongue bobbed up and down in time to the rhythm stage right.

by Anonymousreply 195October 11, 2019 10:09 PM

[quote]The Michael Jackson musical is titled MJ?

It was originally titled "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough," but I guess they thought that with the current scandal, that was an inappropriate title.

by Anonymousreply 196October 11, 2019 10:18 PM

The song at r195 is clearly an attempt to give Chita a "Spanish Rose" type of number. The song is okay (but not in the same league as "Spanish Rose"), but that choreography is just awful. Is that Joe Layton?

by Anonymousreply 197October 11, 2019 10:25 PM

[quote]If memory serves, Act One ended with Donald O'Connor seated on a toilet bowl while his new talent discovery, a punk band called FILTH, played their t(h)rash-y tune, while a giant latex tongue bobbed up and down in time to the rhythm stage right.

Still sounds more entertaining than Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 198October 11, 2019 10:52 PM

Well yes, but that's a pretty low bar.

by Anonymousreply 199October 11, 2019 11:46 PM

BBB Act !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200October 11, 2019 11:52 PM

Staunton & Forbes on FOLLIES....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 12, 2019 2:18 AM

[quote]The Michael Jackson musical is titled MJ?

It was originally titled "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough Eight-Year-Olds," but I guess they thought that with the current scandal, that was an inappropriate title.

by Anonymousreply 202October 12, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]Has anyone seen The Inheritance yet? I’m seeing both parts on Saturday.

I saw Part I last Friday night and Part II tonight. It's truly one of the best plays I've seen on Broadway in a long time with first-rate performances and a script that's equal parts funny and poetic. I don't know what's still to come this season, but based on what we've seen thus far, if Matthew Lopez does not win the Tony, then there is no justice.

I'm actually surprised there's been so little interest on this board in "The Inheritance" given that it's a gay play with wonderful writing, acting, and, yes, a lot of hot guys. One of them, Samuel H. Levine, takes his clothes off frequently throughout the play (including getting completely naked at one point), which alone was worth the price of admission.

by Anonymousreply 203October 12, 2019 5:01 AM

Will "The Inheritance" likely get a movie adaptation, a la HBO's "Angels In America"? Or just a PBS filming of the stage production?

by Anonymousreply 204October 12, 2019 6:08 AM

R205 Do PBS even still do that? Seems ages since I have seen an American production filmed, whilst English theatre is fucking amazing at showing their work

by Anonymousreply 205October 12, 2019 6:10 AM

I (a black Brit) saw Slave Play. I hadn’t heard of it because I’m behind with the DL theatre threads but 2 different people I got talking to at other shows told me I had to see it. I thought it was terrible. There was no intermission so I couldn’t leave. Now, I am of course not descended from slaves and my culture is not haunted by the legacy of slavery so that is going to really cloud my judgments. When I see a whip my first thought is the Cheltenham horse festival. When I hear lynch I think of my lovely Irish maths teacher Mr Lynch. The white Brits I have gone out with probably read a few pages about slavery in their history class and have never thought about it since. So, I’m not the audience I guess. It did nothing for me. I overheard a white guy behind me say to his black friend before the show “I really wanted to be here to watch you watching this” Okaaay. I get the feeling this show will be eaten up by rich white liberals. The type who also like that character in the show apologise for their whiteness.

The whole effort reminded me of the old show “Maude”. I sat there bored to death in Act 3 and in my head I was thinking that this is the kind of thing Maude would have written and put on. Inevitably her white friends would think she was a genius and the black people in the audience would be rolling their eyes at the crazy white lady. I noted that the writer went to Yale so that has no doubt shaped his view and I assume he has been around a lot of well heeled interracial couples, people in therapy, people into BDSM, white people who apologise for being white, people who analyse their every thought to death. I haven’t and that world is not my world and I found much of it be be “rich people’s problems” to tell you the truth. I just couldn’t care enough about these characters and kept thinking “stop analysing everything, get a pet or a hobby and get on with life. Maybe that’s the Brit in me or the working class in me. If black Americans think this play is saying something that needs to be said and talking to them that’s great. I thought it was a total waste of an evening and I think you have to be (I hate myself for using the word) privileged and a certain “type” to think this psychosexual piece is what is needed to improve race relations.

by Anonymousreply 206October 12, 2019 12:01 PM

Saw West Side Story last night at the Komische Oper in Berlin. I adored their production of Anatevka aka Fiddler on the Roof last December and I wasn’t disappointed here. Structurally WSS is a weaker show than the other, IMO. However the Komische Oper played the shit out of Bernstein’s score and that alone was well worth the ticket. Of course the Anita made the biggest impact. Tony and Maria sang it well. Tony came off as very gay, though, and Riff was a lisping queen. All the Sharks had tattoos. It was strongly implied that Lieutenant Schrank had sexually abused some of the Jets when they were younger. And it was also implied that some of the Jets had sex with each other. Riff keeps on giving Tony back rubs. The dialogue was in German but the songs were in English which was a bit strange but interesting. Most of the Jets spoke the dialogue with a strong German accent. Anyway, very glad I went.

by Anonymousreply 207October 12, 2019 12:48 PM

[quote]I just couldn’t care enough about these characters and kept thinking “stop analysing everything, get a pet or a hobby and get on with life. Maybe that’s the Brit in me or the working class in me.

Thank you r207 for your perspective. This is the problem with the United States in the 21st Century. They have allowed themselves to be taken over by social justice warriors. We now have political candidates getting up in debates and saying, "My pronouns are she and her." There are residents in California who have no electricity because the power company can't do the necessary physical maintenance because a social justice warrior thinks a blade of grass may be harmed. So the power company just shut down power to avoid forest fires.

People have reached a point where liberalism has become a mental illness. Common sense has been replaced by emotional manipulation. And everyone cheers, "Yeah, we're sticking it to those who don't think like us." Slave Play is a result of that mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 208October 12, 2019 12:54 PM

r208, I'm interested in how this played out. West Side Story hinges on being able to distinguish between two different ethnic backgrounds. Were you able to see that in this production?

by Anonymousreply 209October 12, 2019 12:56 PM

No one said it, but Bostwick and Gleason were too old.

No one wanted to fuck either one of them, which made the banter less hot.

by Anonymousreply 210October 12, 2019 1:00 PM

The Trinity Rep production where the same chorus switched between playing sharks and jets got great reviews and audience response. Surprised this has not been repeated.

by Anonymousreply 211October 12, 2019 1:09 PM

R204, thanks for the reply to my earlier question about The Inheritance. I was pretty bowled over when I finished reading the play last night. It’s really affecting. I am also a huge E.M.Forster fan and, Howards End in particular, so this is very much of interest. I love Eric Glass as Margaret Schlegel in tThe novel. It works beautifully.

I’ll be in a brown satin sports jacket tonight at Part II tonight. Say hello if you see me!

by Anonymousreply 212October 12, 2019 1:20 PM

R210, well, all the Sharks did have dark hair. One of them was black. The Jets were mostly guys with blond/brown hair. It was set in an undefined period, more 1980s than 1950s. It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 213October 12, 2019 2:24 PM

[quote]West Side Story hinges on being able to distinguish between two different ethnic backgrounds. Were you able to see that in this production?

Not any more, it don't! Have you SEEN photos of the cast of the upcoming Broadway production????

by Anonymousreply 214October 12, 2019 2:29 PM

Doesn't it seem like the Michael Jackson producers are really scared? 'MJ' is such a wuss title, as if they're afraid to utter anything more than two letters.

by Anonymousreply 215October 12, 2019 2:35 PM

I saw Nick and Nora, bought the cast recording, didn't like it them and still can't get thru it. A waste of two good stars.

by Anonymousreply 216October 12, 2019 2:43 PM

I am just waiting for the bitchy, racist tweets from Jeremy Harris when The Inheritance wins all if the playwrighting awards. His tweetstream is the worst combination of pure-SJW rants and self-promotion.

by Anonymousreply 217October 12, 2019 2:45 PM

Let me guess: Jeremy Harris is the playwright of the execrable “Slave Play”?

by Anonymousreply 218October 12, 2019 2:48 PM

I've never seen Bostwick live but I think he's talented and probably should have had a bigger career, outside of all those TV miniseries based on Judith Krantz novels. Remember them?

Joanna Gleason definitely should have had a bigger stage career. I think her last job was DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, 14 years ago. And NICK & NORA was 14 years before that.

Did N&N put a curse on her career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 12, 2019 2:49 PM

Ooops, yes sorry Jeremy Harris is the author of Slave Play.

by Anonymousreply 220October 12, 2019 2:56 PM

R218, if he did, that position would be really difficult to sustain given that Matthew Lopez is not white.

by Anonymousreply 221October 12, 2019 2:59 PM

And Harris is himself a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 222October 12, 2019 3:39 PM

God how I detest(ed) those imbecilic '80s shoulder pads, r220.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223October 12, 2019 3:49 PM

[quote] The dialogue was in German but the songs were in English which was a bit strange but interesting. Most of the Jets spoke the dialogue with a strong German accent.

If the dialogue was in German, wouldn't you want it to have a strong German accent?

by Anonymousreply 224October 12, 2019 3:50 PM

[quote]Doesn't it seem like the Michael Jackson producers are really scared? 'MJ' is such a wuss title, as if they're afraid to utter anything more than two letters.

I had exactly the same reaction. MJ is not so awful a title as the previous, ridiculous one, but it's still really bad.

[quote]I've never seen Bostwick live but I think he's talented and probably should have had a bigger career, outside of all those TV miniseries based on Judith Krantz novels.

From Wikipedia: "In 1997, Bostwick was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and had his prostate removed in July 1997. In 2004, he won the Gilda Radner Courage Award from the Roswell Park Cancer Institute." I expect that put something of a damper on his career during a period when it would probably have been at its height.

by Anonymousreply 225October 12, 2019 4:04 PM

I'm so sick of it. Both leads are non white. Whatever. I'm latino so shut up. But must they always cast an ugly black male? Geez. (still throwing up from Hercules) UGH. And now even fucking "Footloose" has to have a political message for DC, he says. Give me a fucking break. St. Catherine's Player's did it first anyway. If you go, please let me know what that message is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226October 12, 2019 4:05 PM

My friend saw Footloose in D.C. a couple nights ago and said it was awful. And he said that the lead was fuggo.

by Anonymousreply 227October 12, 2019 4:07 PM

Age wise, Bostwick's career should have been at its height in the 70s and 80s. By the late 90s, he was quite old in Hollywood terms. IIRC, he was a regular on that Michael J. Fox sitcom, SPIN CITY.

by Anonymousreply 228October 12, 2019 4:10 PM

[quote]I'm so sick of it. Both leads are non white. Whatever. I'm latino so shut up. But must they always cast an ugly black male? Geez. (still throwing up from Hercules) UGH

Well, I would HARDLY describe the actor who played Hercules as ugly. But a major part of the reason he was cast was because he's African American, so the rest of your point stands.

[quote]Age wise, Bostwick's career should have been at its height in the 70s and 80s. By the late 90s, he was quite old in Hollywood terms. IIRC, he was a regular on that Michael J. Fox sitcom, SPIN CITY.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "height," but if he hadn't gotten cancer, I expect he would have had a better middle-aged career in film and TV, along the lines of Treat Williams, Richard Gere, and others of his contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 229October 12, 2019 4:14 PM

Love this response on ATC to the news that Slave Play was extending for two weeks:

I believe this is an example of "fake news" that we have heard so much about. I would hardly call playing to 42% of Gross Potential, with an average ticket price of $58.90, to be successful.

By what statistical measure do they call this the "most talked about play of the year"? Did they monitor everyone's conversation all around the Theater District and in their offices and their living rooms?

Perhaps they think their numbers will magically increase over the lucrative holiday season. Perhaps they think tourists from all over will say "Oh no, I don't want to see Dear Evan Hansen" or "Moulin Rouge" or "Aint Too Proud". I just gotta see "Slave Play". I've been thinking about it every day, all day, every waking minute. I'm obsessed with it, I can't wait to see it, I'm talking about it with everyone I know every second of the day.

Why don't they extend another few years? Keep throwing money down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 230October 12, 2019 4:18 PM

Bostwick was never cute enough but had sex appeal. Just wasn't cute enough. Not some good singer either. I like him though. Isaac is so wrong for Tony. haha. But they always cast that role a little fay, don't you think? R230 Please stop. He was ugly as fuck and gay as all hell. Just gross. You won't changed my mind. He should have been masculine and gorgeous. Black, F*g, or not. And the troll playing Hercules is an immigrant. What a coincidence. 🤔

by Anonymousreply 231October 12, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote] And the troll playing Hercules is an immigrant. What a coincidence. 🤔

Jelani Alladin, who played Hercules, was born in New York.

by Anonymousreply 232October 12, 2019 4:26 PM

And Jelani Alladin has a very handsome face and a gorgeous body, and he doesn't read as remotely gay on stage. R232, I know I "won't changed your mind," because you sound unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 233October 12, 2019 4:37 PM

Yeah. Alladin is seriously good looking. The kid playing the lead in Footloose in DC is not.

by Anonymousreply 234October 12, 2019 7:41 PM

Perhaps they should just change the name of the Michael Jackson musical to "M." After all, the story certainly shares some plot points with the Fritz Lang/Peter Lorre film of the same name.

by Anonymousreply 235October 12, 2019 7:51 PM

Have they reinvented FOOTLOOSE? Have I missed something?

Why in the world are they reviving that POS show with actors of any color? Can we look forward to URBAN COWBOY next? GHOST THE MUSICAL?

by Anonymousreply 236October 12, 2019 7:53 PM

R208, I a so jealous. We missed Anatevka by one day. This year, its Munich. By "strong German accent" do you mean a dialect such as Sächsisch? I am rather surprised that the did not make it the Osties vs the Turks.

Actually, having the dialog in German but the songs in English is standard. My favorite was a production of Silk Stockings that had the dialog in German and in Russian for the Russian characters. The songs were still in English.

by Anonymousreply 237October 12, 2019 9:28 PM

R233 You're right. His parents are the immigrants. R234 R235 In no world is he seriously good looking, not even close. You can watch his performance with no sound and see from his hand movements alone that he is gay gay gay gay gay. haha. 🌈 Had us cracking up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 12, 2019 9:34 PM

The end of Part I of The Inheritance has a coup de théâtre.

by Anonymousreply 239October 12, 2019 9:58 PM

So I keep hearing r240.

Could you please describe it?

by Anonymousreply 240October 12, 2019 10:05 PM

R241 A bunch of guys come out of nowhere from the house/audience like a flashmob and go onto the stage and they all sit at a table like the last supper while a little dollhouse hangs above them. Then blackout.

by Anonymousreply 241October 12, 2019 10:07 PM

R239, only in your warped opinion is Jelana Alladin ugly or does he read as gay onstage. That's why I posted the link to the video, so people can judge for themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242October 12, 2019 10:09 PM

Looking at Barbara Cook videos on Youtube, I found this one from 1982. I remember her "Better With a Band" concert that was filmed at PBS in LA in, I think, 1980, showed that she had lost some weight. But this Dick Cavett Show from '82 shows her remarkably slimmed down. She mentions that she has found a discipline she didn't have before.

Really, there are a lot of theatre roles she could have effectively done at that weight. Unfortunately, by the time of the Follies Concert three years later, her weight was back up, and by the end of the 80s - early 90s, she was obese again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243October 12, 2019 10:11 PM

Thanks r242.

How is this a coup de theatre?

by Anonymousreply 244October 12, 2019 10:12 PM

R245. I haven't seen a 'a coup de theatre' since 1989!

Standards are really slipping!!!!

by Anonymousreply 245October 12, 2019 10:18 PM

I think Gleason did a lot of TV work between N&N and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. She was a regular for three seasons on that series with Susan Dey and Jay Thomas that wound up being Annie Potts and Jay Thomas, then another couple of series, then that Bette Midler sitcom thing.

by Anonymousreply 246October 12, 2019 10:24 PM

this guy is hideous with a capital H. i don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 247October 12, 2019 10:25 PM

R243 lmao. Good for you. R245 haha. You're welcome. You know, that's a very good question.

by Anonymousreply 248October 12, 2019 10:44 PM

The Baker's Wife and Conrad Birdie pass words.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249October 12, 2019 10:52 PM

At my performance of Part 1 of "The Inheritance," people around me were bawling like crazy at that ending, so yes, it's very effective.

by Anonymousreply 250October 12, 2019 10:54 PM

R241 Here is the end of The Inheritance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251October 12, 2019 10:54 PM

Interesting that the first week of previews of The Inheritance, all the WOM was negative. Why did the tide turn?

by Anonymousreply 252October 12, 2019 11:03 PM

At my performance of THE INHERITANCE people already left at the first and second intermissions and people were falling asleep. The whole show is a complete ripoff of HOWARD'S END, BOYS IN THE BAND, ANGELS IN AMERICA, LOVE VALOUR COMPASSION and LONGTIME COMPANION. All of which were done ten times better. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 253October 12, 2019 11:03 PM

I will see THE INHERITANCE, but frankly, I'm waiting for discounts. I can't believe so many people will commit themselves to a 7-hour event.

I also think there's a sense of pomposity and self-importance in the way the show's being marketed. It may be an intelligent and/or challenging play, but mass audiences don't want to be "challenged." They want to be entertained, amused, and diverted from their lives--so you have to challenge and educate them along the way.

Smart writers know this.

by Anonymousreply 254October 12, 2019 11:57 PM

Are there dicks in "The Inheritance"? Someone said Someone Levine gets naked -does he show dick? Is it a big one?

by Anonymousreply 255October 13, 2019 1:00 AM

[quote]does he show dick? Is it a big one?

Honey, the only seat you'll be able to afford is in the rear balcony. And from there, you won't be able to tell whether it's a dick or a thumb.

by Anonymousreply 256October 13, 2019 1:07 AM

R256 Yes he is completely naked. It was fine. Nothing massive and gasp inducing. He's all skin and bones. Not hot to me.

by Anonymousreply 257October 13, 2019 1:21 AM

R256 Yes he is completely naked. It was fine. Nothing massive and gasp inducing. He's all skin and bones. Not hot to me.

by Anonymousreply 258October 13, 2019 1:21 AM

Are we excited for "Patsy and Loretta," featuring Broadway icons Jesse Mueller and Megan Hilty? Premieres next Saturday on Lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259October 13, 2019 2:03 AM

Beverly Hills...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260October 13, 2019 2:17 AM

[quote] I also think there's a sense of pomposity and self-importance in the way the show's being marketed. It may be an intelligent and/or challenging play, but mass audiences don't want to be "challenged." They want to be entertained, amused, and diverted from their lives--so you have to challenge and educate them along the way. Smart writers know this.

Then how do you explain the success of THE COAST OF UTOPIA? Actually, I have an explanation: the Emperor's New Clothes phenomenon, which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 261October 13, 2019 2:36 AM

[quote]] A bunch of guys come out of nowhere from the house/audience like a flashmob and go onto the stage and they all sit at a table like the last supper while a little dollhouse hangs above them. Then blackout.

So then it is ripping off Corpus Christi too? That had a last supper scene.

by Anonymousreply 262October 13, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]Are we excited for "Patsy and Loretta," featuring Broadway icons Jesse Mueller and Megan Hilty? Premieres next Saturday on Lifetime.

Poor Megan. She looks terrible in that black wig. She's a girl that was made to be a blonde.

by Anonymousreply 263October 13, 2019 3:18 AM

"[R218], if he did, that position would be really difficult to sustain given that Matthew Lopez is not white."

True both are gay but Matthew Lopez is white-adjacent, and The Inheritance has that whole European-pedigree with Howards End being the inspiration. Jeremy Harris comes across as more Billy Porter, whereas Harris seems more Lin-Manuel.

by Anonymousreply 264October 13, 2019 3:23 AM

Please note I wrote the above BEFORE tonight's SNL opening skit.

by Anonymousreply 265October 13, 2019 3:41 AM

But she's awfully good casting for Patsy. I'm not as convinced by Jessie Mueller's Loretta, based solely on the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 266October 13, 2019 7:18 AM

Loretta and Patsy? How original.

by Anonymousreply 267October 13, 2019 7:21 AM

Didn't Patsy die in the early 60s? Why does Hilty look like one of the "Designing Women"?

by Anonymousreply 268October 13, 2019 7:22 AM

That movie looks like it was produced for $4.99.

by Anonymousreply 269October 13, 2019 7:27 AM

You're thinking of Suzanne Sugarbaker, r269, who definitely had a retro, big hair vibe to her.

by Anonymousreply 270October 13, 2019 7:37 AM

Two more points about the WSS I saw Friday night in Berlin-during “Somewhere” Tony and Maria are met with an Old Tony and Maria, both in their 70s. The Tonys slow dance and the Marias slow dance and by the end of the song the Old Tony and Maria crumple to the ground. Also, at the conclusion, the Jets and Sharks don’t come together to carry Tony’s body away, they just stand in a semi-circle, staring at Tony and Maria. Have these choices been made in other productions or was the latter staging just for the film version?

by Anonymousreply 271October 13, 2019 7:47 AM

Two more points about the WSS I saw Friday night in Berlin-during “Somewhere” Tony and Maria are met with an Old Tony and Maria, both in their 70s. The Tonys slow dance and the Marias slow dance and by the end of the song the Old Tony and Maria crumple to the ground. Also, at the conclusion, the Jets and Sharks don’t come together to carry Tony’s body away, they just stand in a semi-circle, staring at Tony and Maria. Have these choices been made in other productions or was the latter staging just for the film version?

by Anonymousreply 272October 13, 2019 7:48 AM

Joanna Gleason has worked consistently since N&N, but no breakout until Into the Woods. I think she has somewhat sabotaged herself with the dramatic plastic surgery that makes her look waxen, not a good look for someone in her 70s.

by Anonymousreply 273October 13, 2019 1:54 PM

Joanna Gleason didn't need to work. Her father was game show host Monty Hall.

by Anonymousreply 274October 13, 2019 2:04 PM

I saw Parts I and II of The Inheritance yesterday. One of the most thrilling and emotional theatrical experiences of my lifetime. Sublime.

Kyle Soller will win the Tony. He was incredible. And whoever the actor is who played E.M. Forster should definitely be in contention for Featured Actor in a Play. He was incredibly affecting. I also loved Lois Smith’s hearty take on her character (who appears in the final 30 minutes of the play).

by Anonymousreply 275October 13, 2019 3:08 PM

Also, there is a great monologue comparing Trump to AIDS, infecting the T-cells of democracy that had the entire audience rapt. One of my favorite moments of the show.

by Anonymousreply 276October 13, 2019 3:22 PM

[quote]Joanna Gleason didn't need to work. Her father was game show host Monty Hall.

Because we all know that the only reason anyone attempts to have a career in the theater is to make lots and lots of money.

by Anonymousreply 277October 13, 2019 3:33 PM

Save your money. Here's the premise behind "Slave Play." That's all there is.

Whether or not you agree, there's unquestionably something raw and unsettling in the playwright's position that black identity can never be wholly separated from historical oppression. The play appears to suggest that even the most liberal white perspective, on the other hand, tends to fall back on the convenient escape of not seeing race, rather than being mindful of the painful legacy of subjugation.

by Anonymousreply 278October 13, 2019 3:54 PM

Debbie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279October 13, 2019 3:55 PM

Thick thighs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280October 13, 2019 4:01 PM

Sam Gravitte was shirtless in Almost Famous and has an amazing set of abs. If only his acting was as tight.

by Anonymousreply 281October 13, 2019 4:29 PM

Is he Debbie's son?

And did we all know (on an unrelated note) that NAKED BOYS SINGING is back off-Bway? Was anyone clamoring for this?

by Anonymousreply 282October 13, 2019 4:41 PM

No, they're just good friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283October 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Is Sam Gravitte a gay?

by Anonymousreply 284October 13, 2019 4:50 PM

No, just musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285October 13, 2019 4:54 PM

^^That outfit certainly screams "Sing out, Louise!"

by Anonymousreply 286October 13, 2019 4:58 PM

Debbie was supposed to be Bernie's standby in GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 287October 13, 2019 4:59 PM

I think it looks like part of the Ship 'n Shore wardrobe he won with his trip to Bermuda, r287.

by Anonymousreply 288October 13, 2019 5:00 PM

But then a young Sam got the job.

by Anonymousreply 289October 13, 2019 5:01 PM

I always liked Debbie's voice. She should have had a bigger career onstage. Her last Bway job was 15 years ago as a replacement Mama Morton in CHICAGO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290October 13, 2019 5:47 PM

Sultry! Debbie is giving us Sophia/Raquel and a little soupcon of Gina Gershon....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291October 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Debbie played Sally in LACC's FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 292October 13, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote] Joanna Gleason has worked consistently since N&N, but no breakout until Into the Woods

Into the Woods was three or four years before N&N.

I wouldn’t say Gleason looks “waxy” at all, but she definitely should not have had those fillers put in her cheeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293October 13, 2019 6:12 PM

I think you'd find her waxy if you saw her in person.

by Anonymousreply 294October 13, 2019 6:15 PM

The word you homosexuals are looking for is "dewy."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295October 13, 2019 6:32 PM

she was great in Normal Heart with papi Esparza

by Anonymousreply 296October 13, 2019 7:17 PM

No r296, THIS is dewy.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297October 13, 2019 7:20 PM

I think Gleason looks great. She was wonderful as Kim Catrall's sister on Sensitive Skin a few years ago. Great show!

by Anonymousreply 298October 13, 2019 7:51 PM

I Love My Wife....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299October 13, 2019 8:02 PM

The song's not bad at R300.

I love James Naughton's voice. Who is the blonde woman?

by Anonymousreply 300October 13, 2019 8:08 PM

A friend of mine who saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels said Joanna Gleason looked like someone wearing a Joanna Gleason mask.

by Anonymousreply 301October 13, 2019 8:15 PM

r300 needs to brush up on his "Mr. Belvedere" reruns.

by Anonymousreply 302October 13, 2019 8:16 PM

"Hey There Good TImes" is a great song! Cy Coleman sure knew how to write 'em!

by Anonymousreply 303October 13, 2019 9:53 PM

What was Cy Coleman's last score? Will Rogers?

by Anonymousreply 304October 13, 2019 10:11 PM

The Life was after WRF.

by Anonymousreply 305October 13, 2019 10:25 PM

[quote]Cy Coleman sure knew how to write 'em!

You've obviously never listened to the score of "The Life."

by Anonymousreply 306October 13, 2019 11:01 PM

[quote]Cy Coleman sure knew how to write 'em!

I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 307October 13, 2019 11:34 PM

Cy Coleman was always a mixed bag, but "Hey Look Me Over" is a terrific song from a bad score. There alway seem to be one or two great songs in all of his shows, even the failures. He brought a pop-jazz sensibility to Broadway which was badly needed at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308October 14, 2019 12:01 AM

Coleman wasn't a bad singer, either--for a theatre composer.

(Ever hear Stephen Schwartz sing? Oy.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309October 14, 2019 12:06 AM

Ilene Graff, r300.

by Anonymousreply 310October 14, 2019 3:50 AM

Joanna Gleason was also fabulous in Boogie Nights. She would have been better noticed if the film had included a confrontation between her and Julianne Moore (seriously) - a showdown between the mother that can fuck Dirk and the mother that can't would have helped the second half.

by Anonymousreply 311October 14, 2019 3:56 AM

I love Coleman's "City of Angels" score. That's a show that needs to be revived.

by Anonymousreply 312October 14, 2019 4:16 AM

“Wildcat” has a fabulous overture. Besides “Hey, Look Me Over,” the other good songs are “What Takes My Fancy,” “Tall Hope” and “One Day We Dance.”

by Anonymousreply 313October 14, 2019 4:38 AM

Back when the Tonys didn't have a couple minute highlights from every musical on Broadway, but gave time for the nominated ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314October 14, 2019 1:07 PM

Very good treatment of " City of Angels " score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315October 14, 2019 1:18 PM

"You've Come Home" is also a fine song from WILDCAT.

by Anonymousreply 316October 14, 2019 1:47 PM

[quote]I love Coleman's "City of Angels" score. That's a show that needs to be revived.

Definitely! I saw the original and it's a fun show. The only real problems for a Broadway run is that you need excellent jazz singers (those harmonies have to be tight) and it's a rather large show to mount, so it is costly. But it could be kept running by tourists.

by Anonymousreply 317October 14, 2019 1:54 PM

[quote]I love Coleman's "City of Angels" score. That's a show that needs to be revived.

Roundabout can do it for their usual three month run, but it that's all it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 318October 14, 2019 2:05 PM

Unfortunately, City of Angels, as clever as it was, had a weak ending.

by Anonymousreply 319October 14, 2019 2:12 PM

[quote]Unfortunately, City of Angels, as clever as it was, had a weak ending.

True, but you don't know that until you get to the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 320October 14, 2019 2:15 PM

The WILDCAT score may not be absolute top drawer but even its throwaway numbers, like EL SOMBRERO and GIVE A LITTLE WHISTLE have more vibrancy than anything on Broadway in the last decade, and they're wonderfully orchestrated. And CORDUROY ROAD is a thrilling set piece, right up there with the TEA PARTY in DEAR WORLD or SOME GIRL IS ON YOUR MIND from SWEET ADELINE. But the real lost gem from WILDCAT is the gorgeous counterpoint of FAR AWAY FROM HOME and ANGELINA (which was cut along the way). Here are Mel and Margaret....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321October 14, 2019 2:36 PM

...and CORDUROY ROAD...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322October 14, 2019 2:45 PM

I like Tall Hope.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323October 14, 2019 2:47 PM

I saw City of Angels twice. There are so many virtues to that show, and it had a perfect cast and physical production, but it felt like the show just sat there both times. For all of its wit and intelligence, it wasn't a lot of fun. I think it needed better musical staging. Its main competition that season was Grand Hotel - and Tommy Tune had several numbers in that show that made you go out of your mind, in spite of generally weaker material.

by Anonymousreply 324October 14, 2019 4:28 PM

Samuel Levine, who plays Adam/Leo in The Inheritance, uses a Q-tip after taking a shower (full nudity) and then throws the used Q-tip into the audience at one point in the play.

by Anonymousreply 325October 14, 2019 10:36 PM

So many things to comment on...

1) Just because you're of Latin/Hispanic descent doesn't necessarily make you "a person of color". It depends on the individual. Just like the US, there are millions of people in Latin America who would get very annoyed with you if you referred to them as anything other than white. Latin American culture is just as racially segregated as the culture north of the Rio Grande. Just because your last name is "Lopez" doesn't make you "brown" it just means you're descendant of someone originally from Spain...a country in Europe. Which isn't any different than being from Italy or the south of France or the Balkans or any other Euro country prone to dark hair and olive/tanned skin. (And, many Spanish/Spanish descent people are very light skinned.)

2) Joanna Gleason is a very talented actress but she never really had that big charismatic "star" thing...she looks like your sister or your mom or your favorite teacher in junior high. Which is fine but when you project "nice and real" instead of "hey, I'm a star!" it does affect your career.

3) I don't really get the excitement over seeing naked dudes on stage especially if they're just nude and not doing anything sexual. If you want to see naked dudes, join a gym and be the annoying guy in the locker room leering at every naked dick you see. But, whatever rows your boat.

by Anonymousreply 326October 14, 2019 10:42 PM

well, smell you

by Anonymousreply 327October 14, 2019 11:44 PM

High School Musical....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328October 15, 2019 12:21 AM

I got my ticket to Company today BUT I’m really not sold on Katrina Lenk. She looks like a 40 something woman who has had too much work done. Is she going to be believable as a 35 year old considering marriage? She looks like someone’s third wife.

by Anonymousreply 329October 15, 2019 12:30 AM

She's a doll!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330October 15, 2019 12:51 AM

^ LMFAO!

by Anonymousreply 331October 15, 2019 12:57 AM

Clinton Greenspan, the actor currently playing Aladdin on Broadway, is gorgeous. What do we know about him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332October 15, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote] Samuel Levine, who plays Adam/Leo in The Inheritance, uses a Q-tip after taking a shower (full nudity) and then throws the used Q-tip into the audience at one point in the play.

What does he use it for, to clean the cheese from his stanksleeve?

by Anonymousreply 333October 15, 2019 3:53 AM

It's not likely someone named "Levine" would possess a foreskin, R333.

by Anonymousreply 334October 15, 2019 3:57 AM

He's a brit. He more than likely has one.

by Anonymousreply 335October 15, 2019 4:00 AM

It didn't look like he had a foreskin from where I was sitting.

by Anonymousreply 336October 15, 2019 4:05 AM

Brit Jews still abide by the old customs, r335. It's Russian Jews who gave up circumcision three or four decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 337October 15, 2019 6:34 AM

You mean, Julian Morris...

by Anonymousreply 338October 15, 2019 8:17 AM

R355 He's American.

by Anonymousreply 339October 15, 2019 9:38 AM

Jesus, enough with the uncut/cut discussion. It's so tiring and destroys every thread it's in.

by Anonymousreply 340October 15, 2019 12:54 PM

So does ending sentences with a preposition.

by Anonymousreply 341October 15, 2019 12:54 PM

r332 here he is in Aladdin and he was dating a girl who played Jasmine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342October 15, 2019 1:09 PM

Whoever that is at R342 needs to immediately stick his dick down my throat and then sit on my face.

by Anonymousreply 343October 15, 2019 1:57 PM

But what about his girlfriend r343?

What can she stick down your throat?

by Anonymousreply 344October 15, 2019 2:06 PM

How the hell did Hadestown win best musical, it sucks, the music is awful.

by Anonymousreply 345October 15, 2019 4:06 PM

I think Paul Hilton (Walter Poole/E.M. Forster In “The Inheritance”) is a good candidate for the Featured Actor in a Play Tony. I really liked his performance.

by Anonymousreply 346October 15, 2019 4:12 PM

R345 The story is stupid too. But, did you see the competition? It was the only respectable, artistic choice. And that's bad.

by Anonymousreply 347October 15, 2019 4:28 PM

Yeah, it should have been my show!

by Anonymousreply 348October 15, 2019 4:52 PM

On Sunday's episode of The Simpsons, Fat Tony was convicted of a crime he didn't commit, and the evidence exonerating him was security cam footage of him in his secret office putting on the cast album of Follies and singing "I'm Still Here," even changing the lyrics to reflect being a mobster.

by Anonymousreply 349October 15, 2019 4:59 PM

Wasn't that the best, r349?

by Anonymousreply 350October 15, 2019 5:32 PM

It was certainly a nice respite from the dreck of the rest of the episode. Though last week's where Homer is put in charge of the interns at the power plant was surprisingly strong, bolstered by a great performance by Michael Rapaport.

by Anonymousreply 351October 15, 2019 5:35 PM

I agree, R346, and actually think he will be the one to beat. That monologue he does in Part I is what will seal the deal for him. It's a bit too long but he delivers it flawlessly.

by Anonymousreply 352October 16, 2019 12:51 AM

Are there any same-sex encounters betwen any of the characters?

by Anonymousreply 353October 16, 2019 5:38 AM

...in Slave Play?

by Anonymousreply 354October 16, 2019 5:38 AM

Are there any same-sex encounters between any of the characters in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"?

How about "The Sound of Music"? Any homosex there?

by Anonymousreply 355October 16, 2019 10:27 AM

[Quote] "The Sound of Music"? Any homosex there?

Where there's leiderhosen...

by Anonymousreply 356October 16, 2019 10:41 AM

You rang, R356?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357October 16, 2019 10:50 AM

R332- Well, we know he probably spent a weekend at the Schumacher estate.

by Anonymousreply 358October 16, 2019 2:53 PM

Speaking of Schumacher, whatever happened to his “Me Too” accuser?

by Anonymousreply 359October 16, 2019 4:48 PM

Rolf was using Liesl to get to young Friederich for the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 360October 16, 2019 6:22 PM

There was a reason that Ruth Sherwood spent an entire musical trying to get a man and failed.

by Anonymousreply 361October 16, 2019 6:34 PM

The pathological covering of the genitals in photo after photo of Herr AH. Something was going on there...castration anxiety, perhaps...and the will-to-power as its devastating consequence?

by Anonymousreply 362October 16, 2019 7:03 PM

Well, this kinda explains everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363October 16, 2019 7:59 PM

Did it look like a little mushroom?

by Anonymousreply 364October 16, 2019 8:51 PM

Well, this thread has taken a curious turn.

by Anonymousreply 365October 17, 2019 3:21 AM

Intriguing article from NYT about DL fave Elaine Stritch and the Bway roles she didn't get.

Her career and level of fame, built upon a dozen Broadway shows but leads in just a few, would be impossible to duplicate today. Ultimately, what is she remembered for? Joanne in COMPANY?

She was said to have stolen the show in the PAL JOEY revival, but that amounted to a cameo and one song. GOLDILOCKS and SAIL AWAY sound fun, but they weren't hits. And a number of replacement roles in high-profile plays, or leads in revivals. And a little TV, and even littler film.

It's amazing she was/is as well known as she was/is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366October 17, 2019 3:47 AM

how come every little they do on Dancing With the Stars look better than anything Casey Nicholaw could do on his very best day?

by Anonymousreply 367October 17, 2019 3:55 AM

She had no talent and a terrible attitude. It's amazing she achieved anything at all.

by Anonymousreply 368October 17, 2019 3:56 AM

Herr Zoller was grooming Rolf for later, after the Anschluss. Why do you think he switches sides?

by Anonymousreply 369October 17, 2019 4:11 AM

"Still Here" is a terrible title for a biography of still dead Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 370October 17, 2019 8:26 AM

But she is still here, R370.

by Anonymousreply 371October 17, 2019 10:37 AM

I liked Stritch in the Ingrid Bergman role in Woody Allen’s “September.” She seemed like she was just playing herself, but it was a good performance.

by Anonymousreply 372October 17, 2019 2:52 PM

Jesse Green panned "The Lightning Thief" in the Times.

by Anonymousreply 373October 17, 2019 2:59 PM

How can I miss her, r371....

by Anonymousreply 374October 17, 2019 3:20 PM

Lois Smith will get probably get a nomination for Best Featured Actress in a Play.

by Anonymousreply 375October 17, 2019 5:14 PM

I worked with Elaine Stritch and she was one of the biggest pains in the ass that I've ever seen. Just an uphappy woman all around. And this was supposedly after she quit drinking.

Anyway, the thing about Elaine Stritch is that she stretched the truth farther than anyone ever stretched it before. I don't believe she was seriously considered for half the stuff that she says she was. She was great in the "old broad" and "fishwife" roles, but everytime I saw her perform, she always seemed to be "ACTING" in a "look how clever I am" way.

I wonder why the Times is even doing this article?

by Anonymousreply 376October 17, 2019 5:43 PM

R376 Because there is a new biography out on her

by Anonymousreply 377October 17, 2019 6:00 PM

But none of the roles listed in the Times article seemed to be a stretch for her, nor did the stories sound terribly embellished.

by Anonymousreply 378October 17, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote]Because there is a new biography out on her

I didn't know that. I'm going to have to look for it to see if I'm mentioned!!

by Anonymousreply 379October 17, 2019 6:24 PM

So I guess Elaine was a master at branding and PR before her time. More so than acting, singing, and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 380October 17, 2019 6:34 PM

He had refinement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381October 17, 2019 6:37 PM

There’s a Stritch biography coming out soon. That’s probably why the Times ran that story.

by Anonymousreply 382October 17, 2019 7:19 PM

Oops sorry for the repeat info.

by Anonymousreply 383October 17, 2019 7:20 PM

Harvey Fierstein, Mario Cantone, RuPaul and Russell Tovey starring in The Vagina Monologues: My Pronounces are X and XIR.

by Anonymousreply 384October 17, 2019 7:41 PM

boom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385October 17, 2019 7:41 PM

I'm not leaving my fucking phone in a pouch outside. Are they outta their fucking minds? It is not that serious. Maybe if the talent and production on stage was captivating then people wouldn't be so easily distracted. Fuck outta here.

by Anonymousreply 386October 17, 2019 9:05 PM

I'm surprised at how good Stritch's "He Had Refinement" is. She underplays most of it, and is quite charming. It still can't hold a candle to Shirley Booth's, but it's very good.

by Anonymousreply 387October 17, 2019 9:36 PM

Shirley Booth--why isn't she as legendary as Stritch? They both had approximately the same level of achievement in theatre, TV, and film.

by Anonymousreply 388October 17, 2019 9:40 PM

No they didn't. Shirley Booth starred in stage plays, movies and TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 389October 17, 2019 9:43 PM

Elaine had "Sail Away" and her britcom. She featured in most everything else.

by Anonymousreply 390October 17, 2019 9:44 PM

Shirley Booth won an Oscar. Stritch was never even nominated for one. How is that “the same level of achievement in film”?

by Anonymousreply 391October 17, 2019 10:01 PM

Shirley Booth won two Primetime Emmys for a TV series that ran for five seasons along with an Oscar, three Tony Awards, and a Golden Globe. Her fame may have faded somewhat, but in her time, she was much bigger than Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 392October 17, 2019 10:06 PM

Was she a bigger boozer?

by Anonymousreply 393October 17, 2019 10:11 PM

[quote]Was she a bigger boozer?

Who’s that? Elaine Stritch? Not really. Maybe a glass of wine with dinner, but never more than that.

by Anonymousreply 394October 17, 2019 10:42 PM

Can someone remind me the name of the lady dancer who self-released multiple albums (mixing showtunes with pop/club hits) in the 1970s and beyond. I think the albums were designed for use at aerobics studios.

by Anonymousreply 395October 17, 2019 11:06 PM

Elaine Joyce, R395?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396October 17, 2019 11:44 PM

No. And it's wasn't Barbara (pictured) either. She was discussed on these thread a couple of months ago. The name was something very showbiz - Sarah Blazin', something like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397October 17, 2019 11:57 PM

Sure as hell wasn't me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398October 18, 2019 12:57 AM

Has anyone seen “The Sound Inside”? How is MLP?

by Anonymousreply 399October 18, 2019 12:58 AM

Is that Helen Mirren, r398? It looks like Helen Mirren.

by Anonymousreply 400October 18, 2019 1:02 AM

Elaine Stritch is only remembered by theater fans.

by Anonymousreply 401October 18, 2019 1:07 AM

It's not mentioned much, but Stritch was in the original cast of Bus Stop. She played the cafe owner, Grace.

Fun fact: Dick York, the original Darin on Bewitched, was a replacement for the cowboy stud Bo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402October 18, 2019 1:16 AM

[quote]Elaine Stritch is only remembered by theater fans.

And bartenders. Don’t forget the bartenders.

by Anonymousreply 403October 18, 2019 1:17 AM

[quote]Elaine Stritch is only remembered by theater fans.

And also, I'm guessing, by the staff of the Carlyle Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 404October 18, 2019 1:31 AM

Why yes, r400...

by Anonymousreply 405October 18, 2019 1:47 AM

Elaine gathered fans from her '30 Rock' appearances.

by Anonymousreply 406October 18, 2019 1:57 AM

"Mommy, I've got a dolly purse for a wee-wee."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407October 18, 2019 2:33 AM

Devoted fans of "The Honeymooners" remember Elaine as the original Trixie Norton, seen at left, next to Pert Kelton as Alice. Gleason canned Stritch after one episode and replaced her with Joyce Randolph. (Joyce is still with us; she'll turn 95 on Oct. 21st.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408October 18, 2019 2:43 AM

R408, I'll never forget walking into the Imperial Theater many years ago on my way to see a Saturday matinee of "The Boy from Oz" with Hugh Jackman. There was this elderly lady standing in the lobby who appeared to be waiting for someone. As I passed her, I realized it was Joyce Randolph. Unable to help myself, I walked over to her, said hello, and told her I was a fan. Just adorable, she smiled and seemed genuinely surprised that someone recognized her. I quickly moved away and left her alone after that but it was so nice to have that moment with her.

Hugh was great but I couldn't believe I'd just met Trixie Norton. That was the highlight of my day. Happy birthday, Joyce!

by Anonymousreply 409October 18, 2019 3:06 AM

Shirley won 3 Tonys, 2 Emmy's and an Oscar! Beat that, Elaine!

by Anonymousreply 410October 18, 2019 4:00 AM

Plus Shirley got to play Dolly Levi in the movie version of "The Matchmaker" and could have actually done the musical version if she wanted to, since she had starred in musicals on Broadway already.

by Anonymousreply 411October 18, 2019 4:17 AM

THR review: "Little Shop of Horrors":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412October 18, 2019 4:26 AM

Because the author of the article has a book coming out next week.

by Anonymousreply 413October 18, 2019 4:31 AM

R408, but did you know that when “The Honeymooners” first reappeared on “Jackie Gleason’s American Scene Magazine” in 1962, Alice was Sue Ann Langdon and Trixie was Fiorello’s Patricia Wilson? When the title was changed to “The Jackie Gleason Show,” Sheila MacRae and Jane Kean came in as Alice and Trixie.

by Anonymousreply 414October 18, 2019 4:39 AM

I did know that, R414. Toward the end of the "American Scene Magazine" seasons, after doing the short sketches with Art Carney, Sue Ane Langdon and Patricia Wilson, Gleason produced a one-hour musical, "The Adoption" (based on an episode from the '50s), in which Audrey Meadows returned as Alice. (Trixie is off visiting her mother, or someone, and doesn't appear in the hour show.) That episode became the template for the hour-long musical episodes from Miami Beach. Gleason asked Audrey Meadows to play Alice in the Miami Beach shows, but she didn't want to leave New York, and that's when Sheila MacRae and Jane Kean came aboard. In one of the Miami Beach episodes, Pert Kelton (remembered now for "The Music Man"). the original Alice, played Alice's mother. In the '70s, Gleason and Carney did a series of "Honeymooners" specials in which Audrey Meadows returned as Alice. Jane Kean, rather than Joyce Randolph, played Trixie on those shows.

by Anonymousreply 415October 18, 2019 5:05 AM

Was Pert Kelton let go because she was a drinker or because she was a Commie? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 416October 18, 2019 3:55 PM

Supposedly Pert Kelton had health problems. Something about her heart, I think. But her health seemed fine when she was doing eight performances a week of "The Music Man" on Broadway six years later. She was blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 417October 18, 2019 4:12 PM

Miss Booth warbling....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418October 18, 2019 4:37 PM

And......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419October 18, 2019 4:41 PM

Will Little Shop extend?

by Anonymousreply 420October 18, 2019 6:25 PM

I think "Little Shop" already extended, but the performances are sold out.

by Anonymousreply 421October 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Didn't LITTLE SHOP extend once already?

I just heard on a podcast that they're sold out for their entire run. That review from THR makes me wish I had gotten tix.

by Anonymousreply 422October 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Is the Little Shop that features a trans woman as Audrey (singing very much in a mannish voice)?

by Anonymousreply 423October 18, 2019 8:51 PM

I looked this morning. There are tics available but nothing under $239.

by Anonymousreply 424October 18, 2019 8:57 PM

Like....facial tics?

by Anonymousreply 425October 18, 2019 8:58 PM

That Ethel Merman-Donald O'Connor duet waaay up thread was fantastic! How had I never heard/seen that song before? (The lyrics of O'Connor's part were especially nice.) Even an eldergay can learn so much here -- thanks, DL!

by Anonymousreply 426October 18, 2019 9:49 PM

[quote]Is the Little Shop that features a trans woman as Audrey (singing very much in a mannish voice)?

No, that was the production out in LA, I think.

by Anonymousreply 427October 18, 2019 10:00 PM

It's at the Pasadena Playhouse with Amber Riley as Audrey II.

by Anonymousreply 428October 18, 2019 10:16 PM

Joyce Randolph's son is a big 'mo. I met him once more than 25 years ago through mutual friends. I mentioned to the group that I'd gone to the Actor's Benefit matinee of Guys and Dolls that afternoon. He jumped in, saying he was there too and sat next to Celeste Holm (she must have been the definition of fruit fly!) After he left, one of my friends, who worked with him, said he wouldn't shut up about being Joyce Randolph's son. He has not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 429October 18, 2019 10:20 PM

I'd like to see a trans version of "Woman of the Year." It just needs a title change to "They of the Year."

by Anonymousreply 430October 18, 2019 10:28 PM

I wonder what the Carlyle charged Elaine? I can’t imagine it was very economical to live there. She could have bought a place back in the 70s/80s for next to nothing by today’s standards. Strange that she choose to live in a hotel. If I remember from the documentary about her it was just a small king room too.

I met Elaine twice. The first time was pretty surreal I was a valet at the Peninsula hotel in Beverly Hills. A car pulled up and Elaine gets out. Of course the other guys had no idea who she was but I was thrilled to see her. Then, we hear a voice...Jane Fonda’s voice. I look up and Fonda has the frenchdoor of her suite wide open and she’d yelling down “Welcome Elaine”. Elaine waves up and shouts “Hi Jane, so great to see you” Then she walks into the hotel and stops in front of me, motions up toward Jane’s suite and says “Now that’s class honey”. They were both in town filming “Monster in Law”.

Then when Jane was in “33 Variations” on Broadway I was waiting at will call, second in line and Elaine comes in and cuts the line to pick up her tickets. I said “Nice to see you Ms Stritch” and she said “Good evening” then she turned around and got confused about how to get into the actual theatre. She was turning in circles so I walked up to her and offered to guide her over to the entrance which she accepted. So I linked her arm and took her over to front of the line for entering the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 431October 18, 2019 10:30 PM

Holy shit! Joyce Randolph is still alive at age 94!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432October 18, 2019 10:31 PM

[quote]Holy shit! Joyce Randolph is still alive at age 94!

That was already mentioned upthread. She'll turn 95 on Monday. Happy birthday, Joyce!

by Anonymousreply 433October 18, 2019 10:34 PM

Here's Joyce Randolph with her queeny son, Randy Charles, and his ... date??? ... John Cameron Mitchell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434October 18, 2019 10:35 PM

For r426.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435October 18, 2019 10:37 PM

Randy in his rainbow finery. Joyce has to know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436October 18, 2019 10:43 PM

Call Me Madam is really a great movie. Most of the changes they made were spot on, although I could do without the "International Rag."

by Anonymousreply 437October 18, 2019 10:44 PM

He has his mother’s lovely eyes in R436 and looks better than he did when he was younger in R434.

by Anonymousreply 438October 18, 2019 10:48 PM

Did Joyce and son get a 2fer on those wigs?

by Anonymousreply 439October 18, 2019 10:54 PM

[Quote] Strange that she choose to live in a hotel.

She couldn't bother the staff damn near 24/7 if she lived in her own place.

by Anonymousreply 440October 18, 2019 10:54 PM

[quote]That Ethel Merman-Donald O'Connor duet waaay up thread was fantastic! How had I never heard/seen that song before?

Have you never been to a piano bar? That song is constantly done by old queens. And some young ones too.

by Anonymousreply 441October 18, 2019 11:37 PM

I do NOT BRAY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442October 18, 2019 11:44 PM

[quote]I wonder what the Carlyle charged Elaine? I can’t imagine it was very economical to live there. She could have bought a place back in the 70s/80s for next to nothing by today’s standards. Strange that she choose to live in a hotel. If I remember from the documentary about her it was just a small king room too.

She had a house in one of those towns north of New York City. I can't remember which one, possibly Rye or Tarrytown. She seemed to prefer hotel living because she lived in one when she lived in London.

I imagine because Elaine was performing there that they struck some type of discount. She brings in all the old queens to buy their expensive drinks, she gets 50% off the rate. However, I can't figure out how she got away with it. NYC has a very strict law that doesn't allow people to live long term in hotels. Maybe she checked out every so often and then came back and restarted the lease to avoid that law.

[quote] She couldn't bother the staff damn near 24/7 if she lived in her own place.

This is so true!! I worked with her and she is one of the biggest attention whores. The first day of rehearsal, she came in and told everyone within earshot that she was a diabetic. She holds up a brown bag and bellows, "I need a refrigerator for my insulin." Then she demanded that the rehearsal schedule be changed around (after the Equity actors had already voted and approved it). She could only work until 12:00 noon and then she had to stop and eat lunch or she might go into diabetic shock.

by Anonymousreply 443October 18, 2019 11:47 PM

I know Encores' recent staging of Call Me Madam kinda just laid there, but is the show unrevivable?

by Anonymousreply 444October 19, 2019 12:08 AM

It's a bit of a relic from the 50's, but you never know. With the right star, it could be terrific. Carmen Cusack is a decent performer, but she's no star

by Anonymousreply 445October 19, 2019 12:52 AM

I thought CALL ME MADAM was charming at Encores. Cusack was miscast, but she was apparently a last-minute replacement, and she tried hard. The supporting cast was quite good.

But yes, it's a silly, dated book, and largely unrevivable, short of major surgery on the entire thing.

by Anonymousreply 446October 19, 2019 1:05 AM

Caroline O'Connor!

by Anonymousreply 447October 19, 2019 1:51 AM

[quote]She had a house in one of those towns north of New York City. I can't remember which one, possibly Rye or Tarrytown. She seemed to prefer hotel living because she lived in one when she lived in London.

I believe Elaine had a place in Sag Harbor. As for the Carlyle, I had always heard that she somehow managed to get them to agree to let her live there for FREE. Is that incorrect? I had heard from people who knew her well that she was the one of the cheapest persons who ever lived.

[quote]Cusack was miscast, but she was apparently a last-minute replacement, and she tried hard. The supporting cast was quite good.

I never heard that. A last minute replacement for whom?

by Anonymousreply 448October 19, 2019 5:08 AM

Good question, r444. It’s kind of “quaint,” especially in light of what American politics has become.

I imagine if Audra McDonald wanted to do it, they could get eight months to a year out of it.

by Anonymousreply 449October 19, 2019 5:33 AM

[quote]NYC has a very strict law that doesn't allow people to live long term in hotels. Maybe she checked out every so often and then came back and restarted the lease to avoid that law.

Residential hotels were common in NYC through the 1980s. Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn lived in one. The Chelsea Hotel was one. I knew someone who lived there for decades.

by Anonymousreply 450October 19, 2019 10:31 AM

Elaine Stritch living in The Chelsea Hotel sounds like a fabulous premise for a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 451October 19, 2019 10:38 AM

Hotels have apartments set aside in NY. This is not a new or confusing thing.

by Anonymousreply 452October 19, 2019 11:02 AM

This is very random, but does anyone know a good place to get poppers near the Winter Garden Theater?

by Anonymousreply 453October 19, 2019 3:26 PM

KFC sells them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454October 19, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote] NYC has a very strict law that doesn't allow people to live long term in hotels.

The hell you say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455October 19, 2019 4:36 PM

Elaine wasn’t in an apartment, she was in a room. It was tiny. Back in the day celebrities lived in hotels all over. Several cemebrkties lived in the Beverly Hills hotel for months/years, the Beverly Wiltshire too. There was a hotel in SF that lots of musicians lived in but the name escapes me right now. That seems to have changed. I’m not sure if it’s economic or laws changed or what. When I worked in a BH hotel, we got actors and showbiz types staying for weeks at a time when they were in town filming. It was a special rate but still insane. A suite that retailed for $1,500 per night would be given to the production company for $1,000 per night. A pool cabana was usually $500 per day, if they wanted it as their office for the day, it was $350. Without a record label/production company footing the bill I can’t imagine too many actors/musicians paying those prices today when they could get bigger digs in Airbnb.

by Anonymousreply 456October 19, 2019 6:07 PM

I was a lady of the corridor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457October 19, 2019 8:56 PM

[quote]I think "Little Shop" already extended, but the performances are sold out.

Jonathan Groff has proven himself to be quite the bankable star on the New York stage. Too bad this isn't on Broadway because the Tony would be his to lose.

by Anonymousreply 458October 19, 2019 10:40 PM

R258 Completely agree.

by Anonymousreply 459October 19, 2019 11:13 PM

Anybody know if the Bobby Darin musical is still in the works? Groff got great reviews for that show too.

by Anonymousreply 460October 19, 2019 11:30 PM

Kevin Spacey would insist on being Bobby Darin

by Anonymousreply 461October 19, 2019 11:34 PM

You mean there's ANOTHER one, R460?

by Anonymousreply 462October 19, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote]Several cemebrkties lived in the Beverly Hills hotel

But you can't make assumptions based on what cemebrkties do, r456.

by Anonymousreply 463October 20, 2019 12:01 AM

I'm trying to pronounce that....

by Anonymousreply 464October 20, 2019 12:19 AM

I'm the poster who saw The Inheritance Pt. 1 a couple weeks ago and said I would reserve judgment until I saw the Pt. 2, which I saw yesterday.

Before I start, let me just say that I was excited to see the show, had wanted to see it in London last year but didn't get the opportunity.

I think the direction is marvelous and the acting outstanding. The problem is the play itself. It's just too long and there is at least a good hour (or more) that could be cut (some of Act 2, Pt. 1 comes to mind). It amazed me when It came crashing down at the end like a Victorian melodrama. I was waiting for some DLer to stand up and shout MARY! at that point, but no one did. I was hoping for something better written. But what I found irritating in Pt. 1 then drove me crazy in Pt. 2, was the endless narration by characters in their "special voices." I wanted to slap a couple (the actor who played Eric had an especially irritating "special voice"), but then I realized they were just doing their job/their best with what was written. There is just too much narration for my taste.

I can't believe this will ever be revived in 10 or 20 years. Not without major cuts and overhaul. The reason it is doing so well is because (as I said earlier) of the wonderful direction and acting as well as discussing current topics, but I don't think it will hold up well.

by Anonymousreply 465October 20, 2019 3:54 AM

Pt 2 is the problem with The Inheritance. It never surpasses the finale of Pt. 1 which, though moving to a degree, is kind of completely ripped off from Longtime Companion, which I guess not a lot of people have seen. The whole thing could lose an hour or more. It just circles around in Pt. 2 and, in doing so, gets a bit like Jacqueline Susann.

by Anonymousreply 466October 20, 2019 11:21 AM

Why is anyone worried about a revival 10 or 20 years from now? I thought Part 1 was superb. Can't wait for 2.

I remember Longtime Companion vividly and didn't think Inheritance ripped it off. What works, works.

by Anonymousreply 467October 20, 2019 2:38 PM

Completely agree about The Inheritance. I saw it on the West End and thought Part 1 was tighter than Part 2. The acting and direction was superb though. I think a big problem of the play was that it focused on so many things that it became rather unfocused at times. It takes on so much that it gets a little lost. Also, without spoiling anything, I wasn't too keen on the ending of Part 2. I think with some readjustments it could really be elevated. Did they change anything when it transferred to NY? They could have easily trimmed it.

by Anonymousreply 468October 20, 2019 5:49 PM

[448] I think she was a replacement for Patti Lupone but not sure...

by Anonymousreply 469October 20, 2019 5:51 PM

I don't think we'll know for sure about CALL ME MADAM casting. I'm the poster who mentioned Carmen Cusack being a last-minute replacement.

Supposedly, Kristin Chenoweth was offered the part and expressed interest when the ENCORES season was being planned, then pulled out, for whatever reason. It's such a high-visibility role (and in a season otherwise lacking in star power) that it was then offered to any number of other actresses. Hadn't heard about LuPone but it doesn't surprise me.

The ENCORES rehearsal period is so abbreviated (2 weeks, I think) that I can understand why even the women who were available may not have wanted to take on an opportunity to make an ass of themself if they didn't already know the material. That character largely carries the show.

I say, good for Cusack for making the best of it. Not a stellar performance--she sounded a bit tired the night I saw her--but looked great and gave it her best shot.

by Anonymousreply 470October 20, 2019 6:00 PM

It should have been Caroline O'Connor's gig.

by Anonymousreply 471October 20, 2019 7:09 PM

Chenoweth has an upcoming Xmas TV movie. Maybe she got that job at the time she turned down Encores!

by Anonymousreply 472October 20, 2019 7:10 PM

What's the word on "Six?" (Supposedly opening at the Brooks Atkinson next year.) Some friends of mine saw it on a cruise ship and enjoyed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473October 20, 2019 7:14 PM

SIX is good. It is to Brit girl pop what Hamilton is to American hip hop. It's only a little over an hour long, but no one seems to mind.

by Anonymousreply 474October 20, 2019 7:17 PM

Has the pop band Six sued for trademark infrignement?

by Anonymousreply 475October 20, 2019 7:20 PM

*infringement

by Anonymousreply 476October 20, 2019 7:20 PM

[quote]It should have been Caroline O'Connor's gig.

Why? Did the part call for a little gnome who makes scrunched up cutesy faces?

by Anonymousreply 477October 20, 2019 7:47 PM

[Quote] Why? Did the part call for a little gnome who makes scrunched up cutesy faces?

Fuck off Benay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478October 20, 2019 7:54 PM

Sad news....

Paula Glogau, DL Spirit Animal and the opinionated lady from those old GRAND HOTEL ads, has passed on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479October 20, 2019 8:30 PM

Next spring on Bway is shaping up to be... underwhelming.

Not to pick on Laura Linney (who seems like a nice gal, but whom I found surprisingly dull onstage), but this seems like another "why bother?" project:

[quote]My Name is Lucy Barton Play, Broadway Tickets at Telecharge Samuel J. Friedman Theatre, 261 West 47th Street, between Broadway and 8th Avenue Four-time Emmy winner, two-time Golden Globe winner, three-time Academy Award and four-time Tony nominee Laura Linney returns to Broadway in a haunting new solo play, My Name is Lucy Barton, adapted by Rona Munro from the bestselling novel by Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout. Linney plays Lucy Barton, a woman who wakes after an operation to find – much to her surprise – her mother at the foot of her bed. They haven’t seen each other in years. During their days-long visit, Lucy tries to understand her past, works to come to terms with her family, and begins to find herself as a writer. This spellbinding story is directed by five-time Olivier Award winner Richard Eyre “with a keen-eyed compassion.” – The New York Times. Performances: Mon 7:00 pm, Tues 7:00 pm, Wed 8:00 pm, Th 8:00 pm, Fri 8:00 pm, Sat 2:00 pm, Sat 8:00 pm Previews begin 01/06/20, Opening 01/15/20, Closes 02/29/20

Solo? So it's an evening of Laura talking to her invisible dead mother from her hospital bed?

Cheese on rice--I'd sooner sit through the CATS revival again.

by Anonymousreply 480October 20, 2019 8:47 PM

Wow. I'm shocked she was still alive.

by Anonymousreply 481October 20, 2019 8:47 PM

Trying melting some good cheese on brown rice in the microwave -- it's pretty good if you want something tasty in a pinch. (Otherwise, I never heard that expression before.)

by Anonymousreply 482October 20, 2019 8:50 PM

I LOVED her SO much....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483October 20, 2019 8:52 PM

Laura, r481? Oh, she's fine. She sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 484October 20, 2019 8:54 PM

My health is quite good, R481.

I'm off now to try some of some of R482's tasty suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 485October 20, 2019 8:57 PM

Has Laura Linney given the world her Mama Rose yet?

by Anonymousreply 486October 20, 2019 9:12 PM

Hiddleston is decent in "Betrayal". Competent but not especially noteworthy. The real reason to go see it is the very capable and sexy Charlie Cox. His charm and surprising stage presence (not to mention the thick thighs and nice bulge filling out his jeans) make an otherwise boring play bearable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487October 20, 2019 9:14 PM

Has anyone seen or sampled Charlie's Cox?

by Anonymousreply 488October 20, 2019 10:01 PM

Charlie bares all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489October 20, 2019 10:07 PM

[quote]I LOVED her SO much....

While she did do an excellent "man(woman) on the street", I still prefer the naturalness of the white haired lady in Beatlemania.

"Ha, it was really great." Subtext: And as soon as I get my ears to stop ringing, I am going to hail a cab and go to the Plaza for a Cosmopolitan and try to forget that my daughter-in-law gave me this for my birthday when all I wanted was a bottle of Jean Nate bath splash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490October 20, 2019 10:15 PM

[quote]The ENCORES rehearsal period is so abbreviated (2 weeks, I think) that I can understand why even the women who were available may not have wanted to take on an opportunity to make an ass of themself if they didn't already know the material. That character largely carries the show.

The official rehearsal period is indeed very brief, but of course, that doesn't prevent the stars and featured players from learning the material cold before rehearsals begin, so then they only have to concentrate on the staging. Some performers can do this very successfully (many examples), and others cannot (Olympia Dukakis).

[quote]I say, good for Cusack for making the best of it. Not a stellar performance--she sounded a bit tired the night I saw her--but looked great and gave it her best shot.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 491October 20, 2019 10:31 PM

"the stars and featured players from learning the material cold before rehearsals begin"

That's what they do usually in opera, though the Encores shows are rarities that maybe their coaches aren't as familiar with depending on how rare they are.

by Anonymousreply 492October 20, 2019 11:07 PM

Coaches?

by Anonymousreply 493October 20, 2019 11:08 PM

[quote]Coaches?

High level actors and actresses have vocal and acting coaches.

by Anonymousreply 494October 20, 2019 11:10 PM

Singers usually use coaches to learn their material in opera and many times in musicals as well, going to one who specializes in that particular field.

by Anonymousreply 495October 20, 2019 11:11 PM

vocal coaches, that is

by Anonymousreply 496October 20, 2019 11:11 PM

Then i would say, don't hire a coach who isn't familiar with that particular Encore show

by Anonymousreply 497October 20, 2019 11:13 PM

Call Me Madam is a fairly well known show. It's not like one of the lesser shows that Encores did, like Sweet Adeline.

by Anonymousreply 498October 20, 2019 11:21 PM

I was told by someone in the cast that Cusak was like, the 17th person to be asked; all the rest had said no.

by Anonymousreply 499October 21, 2019 1:12 AM

[quote]Singers usually use coaches to learn their material in opera and many times in musicals as well, going to one who specializes in that particular field.

Sissies! Why in MY day ...

by Anonymousreply 500October 21, 2019 3:25 AM

I guess we really do have a secret Broadway source here. A month after it was announced in one of these threads that Matt Doyle will be Jamie in the new COMPANY, it’s been officially announced. Lots of good new castings. .

Etai Benson as Paul, Nikki Renee Daniels as Jenny, Claybourne Elder as Andy, Bobby Conte Thornton ad PJ, Kyle Dean Massey as Theo, Chris Sieber as Harry, Greg Hildreth as Peter, Jennifer Simard as Sarah, Terrence Archie as Larry, Christopher Fitzgerald as David. Is that all the parts, or are they still missing a female?

by Anonymousreply 501October 21, 2019 2:02 PM

[quote]Is that all the parts, or are they still missing a female?

Who's playing Joanne? I thought LuPone only said she'd bring it to Broadway if the entire cast transferred. Personally, I'd like to see Betty Buckley do it.

by Anonymousreply 502October 21, 2019 2:20 PM

I never miss a Betty Buckley musical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 503October 21, 2019 2:41 PM

R502 Patti is doing it. She said the West End production was going to be her last musical but ultimately agreed to star in the Broadway version. Not sure if it had anything to do with the all female version of Glengarry Glen Ross not (?) happening, which she was meant to be in.

by Anonymousreply 504October 21, 2019 3:11 PM

And Katrina Link as Bobbie was announced at the same time as LuPone.

LuPone is smart. If this is her last musical, it will be going out on a personal triumph.

by Anonymousreply 505October 21, 2019 3:14 PM

R505 Agreed. She'll win the Tony and end on a high.

by Anonymousreply 506October 21, 2019 3:19 PM

I'm anxious to see Patti's new hips in action.

by Anonymousreply 507October 21, 2019 3:21 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 508October 21, 2019 4:35 PM

If you're gonna bump it, r508....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509October 21, 2019 4:53 PM

I hate when actors say they're retiring or this will be their last musical or TV appearance or movie. In this business, you never know. You might end up getting offered the role of a lifetime at 82.

by Anonymousreply 510October 21, 2019 5:53 PM

So Claybourne Elder is the air mattress, er, flight attendant who gets to sing Barcelona and babble about butterflies in his underwear? I'm OK with that.

by Anonymousreply 511October 21, 2019 5:54 PM

[quote]I hate when actors say they're retiring or this will be their last musical or TV appearance or movie.

I hate it also.

by Anonymousreply 512October 21, 2019 5:55 PM

I just watched a few minutes of a "Tales of the Unexpected" with Gloria Grahame and Joseph Cotten. Both would have done well to announce a retirement long before and stuck to it...

by Anonymousreply 513October 21, 2019 6:32 PM

[quote}I hate when actors say they're retiring or this will be their last musical or TV appearance or movie. In this business, you never know. You might end up getting offered the role of a lifetime at 82.

With LuPone (and probably some others), I'm sure it was just a power play. She made a big statement that she was retiring because she didn't feel she was fully appreciated, and she wanted people to beg her not to retire.

by Anonymousreply 514October 21, 2019 6:51 PM

It's probably because, despite what she says, she knows she's not box office. She was hoping for the "farewell tour" bump.

by Anonymousreply 515October 21, 2019 6:54 PM

LuPone isn't retiring. What she said is, she doesn't want to do musicals anymore - that they are too hard. Having to protect her voice so she can sing, etc.

by Anonymousreply 516October 21, 2019 7:51 PM

I wonder if there's another telelvised concert planned for Sondheim's 90th. I'm still bummed that Cleo Laine didn't appear at the last BBC one (nor Julia McKenzie), and Laine was still performing and in fine voice.

by Anonymousreply 517October 21, 2019 7:53 PM

Who's left to perform? The toast of Broadway these days is who? Isaac Powell? Laura Osnes? Orfeh?

by Anonymousreply 518October 21, 2019 7:57 PM

Yikes, r513.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519October 21, 2019 8:04 PM

Gavin Creel's voice is a fave of mine but his performances are variable. He was in a verison of Bounce/Road Show, so he has a connection. Ben Platt will probably take part.

by Anonymousreply 520October 21, 2019 8:05 PM

Not quite as bad as this, r513.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521October 21, 2019 8:12 PM

Thank you for posting that, r521. It proves that Miss Hopkins was never much of an actress.

by Anonymousreply 522October 21, 2019 9:58 PM

Now, now, Bette was always complimentary of Miriam's acting ability.

by Anonymousreply 523October 21, 2019 10:06 PM

R510 I agree. Although, I could see her doing plays and just retiring from musicals. I think she mentioned how exhausted she gets doing them. Her hip also causes her a lot of problems and limits her. I saw her in Company on the West End and they had her sit down in some of the dance sequences. They kinda make it a character thing but I'm sure it's because of her hip. Whilst on the subject of Miss Lupone...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524October 21, 2019 10:43 PM

What's the source of the hip problem? An accident? Genetics?

by Anonymousreply 525October 21, 2019 10:46 PM

John Houseman calling out Patti for her shocking diction is delicious

by Anonymousreply 526October 21, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote] What's the source of the hip problem? An accident? Genetics?

Karma.

by Anonymousreply 527October 21, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]They kinda make it a character thing but I'm sure it's because of her hip

She has since had the second hip replaced as well, so she's good to go. Except that Patti has NEVER wanted to do ensemble numbers, even as a lead.

by Anonymousreply 528October 21, 2019 11:01 PM

Well I suppose she's game if the staging isn't complicated....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529October 21, 2019 11:08 PM

Actually, Bette Midler might make an interesting Joanne in Company.

by Anonymousreply 530October 22, 2019 2:24 AM

What's everyone's take on the rest of the Company cast?

by Anonymousreply 531October 22, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]Actually, Bette Midler might make an interesting Joanne in Company.

No she wouldn't. Her Borscht Belt style of line delivery is wrong for Joanne. Bette always said her lines like she was thinking, "Aren't I the most brilliant comedienne? Well, aren't I?"

by Anonymousreply 532October 22, 2019 2:30 AM

Why has there not been a recent revival of "Oh! Calcutta!"?

by Anonymousreply 533October 22, 2019 2:31 AM

[quote]Claybourne Elder

Seems like the perfect name for a Mormon. Do they have to refer to him as Elder Elder?

by Anonymousreply 534October 22, 2019 4:48 AM

Watched Patsy Vs. Loretta. Megan carried it. Laura has a very big nose

by Anonymousreply 535October 22, 2019 4:56 AM

Shit, I forgot all about that! Is it worth searching out, r535?

by Anonymousreply 536October 22, 2019 7:10 AM

^ Better than the usual Lifetime shit, I think. Was really nice to have actual people who can sing singing the score. That was bloody refreshing.

Imagine, casting singers for singing roles. Is kinda cheap, but sweet. And Megan is excellent. Patsy is played hard, so yeah, download it

by Anonymousreply 537October 22, 2019 7:37 AM

[quote]Why has there not been a recent revival of "Oh! Calcutta!"?

Maybe because it's a terrible show?

by Anonymousreply 538October 22, 2019 2:11 PM

Broadway doesn't have enough medium to small sized dicks to do Oh Calcutta now. No one was particularly hung in the original.

by Anonymousreply 539October 22, 2019 2:54 PM

Who knew?

The Patty Duke Show

TODAY, 4:30 PM ON KTTV 11.3, 30 MIN 1965 TV-G

Season 3 • Episode 13 • Patty and the Great Outdoors

Patty goes in for nature study after meeting a forestry student. Patty/Cathy: Patty Duke. Richard: Eddie Applegate. Natalie: Jean Byron. Hank: James Brolin. Joan: Kim Carnes. Martin: William Schallert. Ross: Paul O'Keefe...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540October 22, 2019 10:06 PM

[quote]Watched Patsy Vs. Loretta. Megan carried it. Laura has a very big nose

Who's Laura?

by Anonymousreply 541October 22, 2019 11:03 PM

Don't look at me, R541.

by Anonymousreply 542October 22, 2019 11:24 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY, R465.

There are too many monologues - narrations, really — in The Inheritance.

But there is no denying the power of the end of Part 1 - people around me were absolutely sobbing.

Now, let’s talk about how bad “The Great Society” is.

by Anonymousreply 543October 23, 2019 1:09 AM

Does one need to see Part II, or can one just see Part I of The Inheritance?

by Anonymousreply 544October 23, 2019 12:29 PM

Of course you can see only Part 1, just as you can read half a book.

by Anonymousreply 545October 23, 2019 10:24 PM

r540, what does that have to do with theatre gossip? Why did you post it here?

by Anonymousreply 546October 23, 2019 10:27 PM

I knew how annoyed you would get, r546. That's it. That's the only reason.

by Anonymousreply 547October 23, 2019 10:33 PM

I'll only forgive you, r547, because you started the Perry Mason thread.

by Anonymousreply 548October 23, 2019 11:10 PM

Well, thank you, r548. Given Miss Duke has FOLLIES cred and Mr. Brolin has Broadway cred (via injection), it wasn't totally off-topic.

by Anonymousreply 549October 23, 2019 11:50 PM

Patti Duke has FOLLIES cred?

Please to explain.

by Anonymousreply 550October 24, 2019 4:58 AM

Patty Duke played Phyllis when the Reprise Company did a concert version of "Follies." Reprise was the ugly stepsister of Encores!, a vaguely similar mission with none of the spark, creativity, and artistic vision that made Encores! important.

Every once in a while, Reprise could score with a decent cast and/or director, but mostly it was mediocre at best. "Follies" didn't even reach that low bar. It was really awful. Patty played Phyllis, but the songs eluded her. Vicki Carr was Sally and sang surprisingly well. Bob Gunton was Ben, and Harry Groener was Buddy. Donna McKechnie was Carlotta, Justine Johnston did her 1971 role of Old Heidi, and Carol Lawrence and Grover Dale danced Vincent and Vanessa. No one was bad, a couple of them were very good (Groener, McKechnie), but it just laid landed there on stage with a thud.

Reprise came back from a ten year death last summer, and was gone again after two shows.

by Anonymousreply 551October 24, 2019 6:17 AM

Reprise was in Los Angeles, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 552October 24, 2019 6:25 AM

I saw both parts of The Inheritance last week, and I tend to agree with what posters here have written. Part I is the better, and more moving. Part II is less tight, with some themes tending toward melodrama, and less group involvement.

The ending seems too extended, with several endings, one after the other. (I had thought this was due to ongoing work on the script, but the published script is pretty much the same.) And, the dependence on the plot of Howard’s End only goes so far, with a few unresolved issues. (I can’t really discuss this in detail, to avoid spoilers.)

Curiously, though the theater was sold out the night I saw Part I, it seemed only about 3/4 full for Part II. Further, when I bought tickets to see both parts again, a couple of months from now, it seems Part I is scheduled to be performed more often than Part II.

I’m glad the producers decided to do both parts. (Unlike Angels in America, which I originally saw as a marathon, with both parts, in L. A. in 1992, but was then stretched out for its New York engagement, opening each part in separate seasons, a year apart, cannily qualifying for an entirely new set of Tonys, which it did win.)

I actually doubt Part II of The Inheritance will be as well received as Part I. But it’s such a relief to experience a play about thought and feeling, with direction and performances that make one grateful that theater exists. And certainly enough of it is sterling theater of the first order.

By all means, go and see for yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 553October 24, 2019 6:31 AM

Whoopi is playing Deloris in Sister Act: The Musical in London next summer, with Jennifer Saunders as the Mother Superior. Won’t they have to substantially alter the score for Whoopi?

by Anonymousreply 554October 24, 2019 10:02 AM

Whoopi says the role is being rewritten for an "older" actress, kind of throwing Patina Miller under the bus, as if it should always have been an older actress playing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555October 24, 2019 11:33 AM

The production was noteworthy, what with Phyllis being shorter than Sally!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556October 24, 2019 2:16 PM

Darren Criss as the young junkie in AMERICAN BUFFALO? I just choked on ma chicken.

by Anonymousreply 557October 24, 2019 2:50 PM

So ridiculously wrong, but they have to sell tickets.

by Anonymousreply 558October 24, 2019 3:02 PM

R558, I'm not a huge fan of Darren Criss, but why do you think he's so wrong for that part in AMERICAN BUFFALO? I dont' think they'll have any problem deglamorizing him and making him look like a street kid. He'll embrace that to get into the character and hopefully earn some award nominations.

by Anonymousreply 559October 24, 2019 4:54 PM

Stalling as long as we DAARREE!

by Anonymousreply 560October 24, 2019 4:55 PM

I don't think she really wanted to do it, r560. The director was very insistent in casting her, for whatever reason. Here's Miss Vicki (audio).....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561October 24, 2019 5:02 PM

I want to go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562October 24, 2019 5:02 PM

Nance in Detroit....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563October 24, 2019 5:05 PM

Edie in Detroit....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564October 24, 2019 5:07 PM

I really thought it was a mistake when I read about "American Buffalo" starring Darren Criss. he is cute and adorable, but a dramatic he is not. And so wrong for Mamet. I really do not get it

by Anonymousreply 565October 24, 2019 6:48 PM

About "The Inheritance" I saw it on Saturday (both parts). I had already seen it in London. I like the play but I think it has lost a little bit of the momentum that it had after the Young Vic. Also, the poster and the campaign are completely wrong. It looks like a bad Benetton campaign (there is a joke about benetton in the play).

On Saturday, the matinee was maybe a little over 55% while the evening performance, maybe, had around 60%. The producers should be worried.

by Anonymousreply 566October 24, 2019 6:51 PM

FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 567October 24, 2019 7:07 PM

[quote]I really thought it was a mistake when I read about "American Buffalo" starring Darren Criss. he is cute and adorable, but a dramatic he is not. And so wrong for Mamet. I really do not get it

Do you know AMERICAN BUFFALO? First of all, the role in question is really not that big, and doesn't require much from an actor other than playing a vulnerable, put-upon mess of a young junkie. As for being "wrong for Mamet," Criss won an Emmy for playing the very dark role of Andrew Cunanan in "The Assassination of Gianni Versace." Again, I'm not a huge fan of Criss, but for you to be SO SURE that he's wrong for this part in AMERICAN BUFFALO makes you look stupid.

by Anonymousreply 568October 24, 2019 8:12 PM

[R568] Yes. I know American Buffalo and I have seen it many times. He is wrong for that role. I also saw him in "How to Succeed" and he did not convince anyone of his acting abilities. Yes, I know that it was a musical but....

by Anonymousreply 569October 24, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote]Yes. I know American Buffalo and I have seen it many times. He is wrong for that role.

Did you see him in the Versace thing, and if so, did you feel his acting was bad in that? So bad that you're positive he can't handle the not very difficult supporting role of Bobby in AMERICAN BUFFALO?

by Anonymousreply 570October 25, 2019 2:58 AM

If Criss is playing the kid in American Buffalo, does that mean they are going to make the homoeroticism of the play more evident than most productions do?

by Anonymousreply 571October 25, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]I also saw him in "How to Succeed" and he did not convince anyone of his acting abilities.

That was at the beginning of his professional career. He’s improved a lot since then, as his multiple awards for “Versace” will attest.

by Anonymousreply 572October 25, 2019 3:49 AM

I also agree that Criss was outstanding in VERSACE. That miniseries had problems, mostly on a writing and directorial level. But Criss was stellar, along with Edgar Ramirez, Judith Light, and a few others.

He can definitely handle drama.

by Anonymousreply 573October 25, 2019 5:18 AM

Now I'm a little obsessed with the Patti Duke FOLLIES in LA. I found another production photo.

Was the set leftover from a revival of HAIR? Or TOMMY?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574October 25, 2019 5:21 AM

Blythe Danner never ascended to such heights!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575October 25, 2019 5:23 AM

Loved Lazarus in Amsterdam last night. The make lead (Dragan Bakema) is a good actor but didn’t have a strong enough singing voice for the Bowie material. The female lead (Noortje Herlaar), however, was genuinely sensational. Wow. “Changes” was fucking GREAT because of her performance. And the guy playing Valentine was not only a strong singer he was super hot looking. At no point during the production the songs had a stopping point for applause but at the curtain call there was an almost immediate standing ovation which I don’t think was started by Americans in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 576October 25, 2019 12:26 PM

Saw INHERITANCE twice in the past week. Both were full to the brim. And the audience was mesmerized.

by Anonymousreply 577October 25, 2019 1:33 PM

According to BWW, INHERITANCE was at 66.63% ($468,150). "Both were full to the brim" might have been comps (like I had). It should be the talk of the town. It is very good and an outstanding cast, it should be doing so much better and, more importantly, there is no buzz.

by Anonymousreply 578October 25, 2019 2:08 PM

Article about the death of Reprise 2.0. And that bitch is still saying they're planning to do "Grand Hotel."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579October 25, 2019 2:26 PM

BTW, I saw the "Sweet Charity" with Laura Bell Bundy and DL fave Barrett Foa and it was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 580October 25, 2019 2:26 PM

R568-So YOU know AMERICAN BUFFALO? The role IS that big, and Criss is too old, and not a very good actor. He may have had Ryan Murphy holding his hand the whole time in VERSACE, but Neal Pepe isn't going to do that. He's big mistake, plus Fishburne and Rockwell will wipe the floor with his remains.

by Anonymousreply 581October 25, 2019 2:37 PM

“Fill it to the rim.” “With BRIM?”

Loved that coffee commercial.

by Anonymousreply 582October 25, 2019 2:54 PM

R581, you sound like a tiresome queen who's CONVINCED that, because Criss is pretty, that means he can't act. I HIGHLY doubt that Neil Pepe would have agreed to star casting of Criss if he didn't feel he could handle the role -- which, at any rate, is NOT that large and, although it does require intensity, doesn't require a whole lot in terms of range or nuance.

So we'll have to wait and see if your prediction that Criss will crash and burn is correct. But even if he gets great reviews and award nominations, and even if you see the performance and think he turned out to be great in the role, you'll probably still insist otherwise because you won't be able to admit you were wrong.

by Anonymousreply 583October 25, 2019 3:41 PM

R583-AB is one of my favorite plays. I've seen many productions, both here and in London. I've never seen a Bobby to match John Savage. I would love to be proven wrong. But I don't have high hopes for this choice.

by Anonymousreply 584October 25, 2019 3:45 PM

The Inheritance hasn’t even officially opened yet. It’s still in previews. I saw it two weeks ago and was very moved. The audience was completely full.

by Anonymousreply 585October 25, 2019 6:00 PM

I promise to be deeply moved by THE INHERITANCE if my tickets are free.

by Anonymousreply 586October 25, 2019 6:06 PM

[quote]Now I'm a little obsessed with the Patti Duke FOLLIES in LA. I found another production photo.

I hate to break it to you, r574, but that's not the Patty Duke FOLLIES. It's the LA production (at the Ahmanson) of the recent-ish Broadway revival, which had most of the Broadway cast, but Vicky Clark replacing Bernadette, who had pre-booked concerts that she couldn't clear. That's Ron Raines and Jan Maxwell in those two pictures.

The Patty Follies isn't worth getting obsessed over. As that clip of "Waiting for the Girls Upstairs" shows, it was pretty bad. Even in cases where the casting was spot on - like Groener and Gunton and Donna McKechnie - it just didn't work. And the direction/ "choreography" (blame Arthur Allen Seidelman and Kay Cole) was awful.

by Anonymousreply 587October 25, 2019 10:50 PM

I'm going to see the "west coast regional theatre premiere" of "Something Rotten" tomorrow night. Supposedly they're bragging about getting mid-show standing O's. I didn't realize it was that kind of a show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588October 26, 2019 1:34 AM

I found "Something Rotten!" extremely tedious. A few good jokes, but not nearly enough. And one not-very-funny gag (it involves confusing "Hamlet" and "omelet") pounded into the ground over and over and over to the point where it was the equivalent of Chinese water torture. Correction: relentless Chinese water torture.

Have fun, R588!

by Anonymousreply 589October 26, 2019 1:47 AM

[quote]And one not-very-funny gag...pounded into the ground over and over and over to the point where it was the equivalent of Chinese water torture.

That's easy for you to say, R589, meanwhile [bold][italic]I [/italic] have worms in my [italic]scrotum[/italic]![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 590October 26, 2019 2:28 AM

Dammit! Tried to be too smart with formatting.

[bold]I have [italic]worms[/italic] in my [italic]scrotum![/italic][/bold]

by Anonymousreply 591October 26, 2019 2:30 AM

Aha! I can blame a DL software glitch.

by Anonymousreply 592October 26, 2019 2:31 AM

Isn’t the line “I have maggots in my scrotum”?

by Anonymousreply 593October 26, 2019 11:51 AM

Is there a kind of "unrelentless" Chinese water torture?

by Anonymousreply 594October 26, 2019 1:23 PM

THIRD MIDNIGHT!

Who wants to start another thread, or must I do everything around here?

by Anonymousreply 595October 26, 2019 4:19 PM

[quote]Is there a kind of "unrelentless" Chinese water torture?

I was referencing a joke from "The Boys in the Band." Donald to Michael: "Sometimes you remind me of the Chinese water torture. I take that back. Sometimes you remind me of the relentless Chinese water torture."

Not a great joke, but still better than most of those in "Something Rotten!"

by Anonymousreply 596October 26, 2019 4:27 PM

Oh, fuck it. Guess I do have to do everything.

Hate away. Haters gonna hate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597October 26, 2019 4:33 PM

Bajour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598October 26, 2019 5:32 PM

Ankles Aweigh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599October 26, 2019 5:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!