Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #367: "The Which of Us will Deign to Replace Jonathan Bailey in COMPANY" Edition

Edition #366 has suggested Miss Jonathan Bailey will not, repeat [italic]not,[/italic] be crossing the pond in the London transfer of COMPANY.

I have countered with the proposal that one of WE sprightly theater veterans graciously swoop in to help out.

Thoughts, please, plus general discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 18, 2019 11:21 PM

Why the fuck did you post this now, OP? The other thread is only up to 510 replies. You just can’t stand to have anyone but you start a thread, can you? Stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2019 2:41 AM

Why the fuck did you post this now, OP? The other thread is only up to 510 replies. You just can’t stand to have anyone but you start a thread, can you? Stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2019 2:41 AM

Rannells will probably be gunning for the "Amy" role in the Broadway COMPANY revival.

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2019 2:42 AM

Why the fuck did you post twice, nitwit?

Clearly we can't have YOU in charge.

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2019 2:42 AM

I could see Barrett Foa doing it, if he's not still tied up with that procedural show.

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2019 2:43 AM

Due to much consternation (and unspeakably foul language) please refer back to #366 for commenting purposes, until such time as 600 posts (?) is reached)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2019 2:52 AM

LINK TO PREVIOUS THREAD:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2019 2:53 AM

Well THIS is working out well.

Harrumph.

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2019 2:55 AM

Karen, we'll work on your posts in private, please.

TAKE FIVE, PEOPLE!

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2019 2:57 AM

The previous thread is crawling along. It appears to have only about two people sniping at each other.

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2019 2:58 AM

haha

On Another Note: I put this in the other thread - am I imagining it, or is it kind of great?

(Karen Z, can you prepare an important dance break ... or dream ballet?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2019 3:02 AM

R11 So, now you are double posting on both threads......

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2019 3:20 AM

I am replying to my honorable GUESTS.

You may see yourself out - LOTS to do!

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2019 3:30 AM

At least everyone can post on this one for now. It could catch up to the other thread if it doesn't get put behind the paywall for a couple days.

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2019 3:45 AM

We aren’t your guests, OP/r13. Just because you fucked up & started it way too early doesn’t mean you OWN the damned thing.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2019 5:37 AM

The reason these get started so early is because fucking Muriel keeps putting them behind paywalls at around the 450th post. And that's why they get so sluggish. It's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2019 1:31 PM

Why didn't they cast Bailey in The Eternals? He's so much more beautiful than Madden, and a better actor as well. Hope he doesn't get too old before we get to lust over him in big movies.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2019 1:43 PM

I'm still agog at Liberace and Millicent Martin....first nighters!

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2019 3:58 PM

[quote]r15 We aren’t your guests, OP/[R13]. Just because you fucked up & started it way too early doesn’t mean you OWN the damned thing.

You are cordially invited to shut the fuck up, before I start #368. Like, right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2019 4:53 PM

We know who you are, OP, so go fuck yourself. And we know exactly what will happen if you try to lamely start 368 with one of your stupid titles. You're not clever at all, though you clearly think you are.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2019 7:25 PM

[quote](dead silence)

The dead part would be fine r19.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote]r20 We know who you are, OP, so go fuck yourself. And we know exactly what will happen if you try to lamely start 368 with one of your stupid titles. You're not clever at all, though you clearly think you are.

As you like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2019 8:31 PM

Who let a maniac start a thread?

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2019 10:57 PM

Jesus wept, the fucking idiot is off his meds.

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2019 11:13 PM

Greyed out... So what?

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2019 11:35 PM

There's no thread like theater threads.

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2019 11:47 PM

Andrew Keenan Bolger for Company

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2019 11:51 PM

The Thread #368 which our troll OP started because she was pissed has been removed.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2019 12:07 AM

Thanks for the update.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2019 12:10 AM

No, not Keenan Bolger for Jamie in Company. Someone who doesn't read as a tween. I keep thinking Gavin Creel, but only because I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head. How about Zachary Levi for "April," the flight attendant role? Just a passing thought. Matthew Morrison could play nearly any of the husbands.

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2019 12:15 AM

Gideon Glick for (J)Amy!

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote]The Thread #368 which our troll OP started because she was pissed has been removed.

it's still there for me.

Bunch'a control freaks all up in here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2019 12:38 AM

Yes, it's still there.

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2019 12:41 AM

its not bad to have one in reserve.

if r20 hadn't thrown a shit fit and tried to be so controlling it wouldn't have happened

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2019 12:47 AM

As long as the threads are linked, it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2019 1:06 AM

Ryan Murphy is adapting A Chorus Line into a ten-part mini-series. WTF?!?

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2019 1:15 AM

Will it be like SMASH? (I don't mean "will it be shit?")

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2019 1:22 AM

J'ai adoré Smash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2019 1:28 AM

In the previous thread, someone asked when American Son was going to be released. TIFF: September 12, 2019; Netflix: November 1, 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 4, 2019 1:34 AM

R20 isn’t the OP. Because the OP is the one who was controlling and threw a “shit fit.”

by Anonymousreply 40September 4, 2019 2:12 AM

All OP did was try to start a new thread. They made a mistake about when to do it but so what. it's not like they started a new thread when the old 1 was at 20 posts.

by Anonymousreply 41September 4, 2019 2:18 AM

And everyone can post to this one unlike the old one. Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 42September 4, 2019 2:24 AM

So, kids, I just watched the London production of KINKY BOOTS on The Broadway Channel. Never saw it on Broadway, even though that fucker ran like 6 years.... And I have more questions than answers!

Why exactly did the heir to the declining shoe factory decide that large male cross-dressers represented a lucrative untapped market segment?

Given the subject matter, why is every design aspect of the show hideous, particularly the costumes?

I love Cyndi so much. When exactly did she lose her songwriting talent?

Lastly, how did this raging dumpster fire of a musical run for so long?

by Anonymousreply 43September 4, 2019 4:02 AM

R43 Why is the twink lead now a fat fucker?

by Anonymousreply 44September 4, 2019 4:12 AM

Kinky Boots is one of the worst shows. Evuh.

by Anonymousreply 45September 4, 2019 6:31 AM

I actually like the first 45 minutes of Kinky Boots and the last half hour.

But it has a first act finale that just lays there like a turd on stage, and the first two songs of the second act are horrible. (The boxing scene should not have been musicalized. And probably played off stage.) And the characters just randomly start arguing near the end.

But I like the finale a lot, and several other songs are very good (especially “Soul of a Man”, and “History of Wrong Guys”)

It’s about 60% fun and 40% slop.

by Anonymousreply 46September 4, 2019 11:51 AM

Because, R44, fat is where it's at.

by Anonymousreply 47September 4, 2019 12:05 PM

R47 = Chris Sieber

by Anonymousreply 48September 4, 2019 12:26 PM

Stark Sands is fat now?

by Anonymousreply 49September 4, 2019 5:17 PM

Why hasn’t the earlier thread closed?

Does really no one post there?

by Anonymousreply 50September 4, 2019 5:42 PM

So this 10-part A Chorus Line is going to be, what, all the back stories, I guess? That is, At The Ballet will take up an entire episode or more on the three women's childhood dance dreams? Ugh, no. Like it or not, ACL is a pretty streamlined (and intermission-less) show that tells us enough of what we need to know about its characters as it drives toward a spectacular finale (a finale that negates everything we learned about the dancers as they immediately become anonymous). I hope Ryan Murphy never reads George Bernard Shaw; Man and Superman is long enough already.

by Anonymousreply 51September 4, 2019 6:28 PM

Will he use Jackie “Mamacita” Hoffman? Maybe as the wife who can’t sing?

We need to see her in a leotard.

by Anonymousreply 52September 4, 2019 6:43 PM

[quote]Will he use Jackie “Mamacita” Hoffman? Maybe as the wife who can’t sing?

Sure, because one sees so many 58-year-olds auditioning to dance in the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 53September 4, 2019 6:55 PM

Couldn't they just toss the leotard on the stage r52?

by Anonymousreply 54September 4, 2019 6:57 PM

[quote]R53 Sure, because one sees so many 58-year-olds auditioning to dance in the chorus.

He did that age-reverse CGI on Jessie in AMERICAN HORROR STORY, season 1, tho. They can just use it on Jackie for the whole CHORUS LINE season.

I vote yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 4, 2019 7:08 PM

Apparently the Chorus Line 10 parter is going to be the story of how it came to be.

by Anonymousreply 56September 4, 2019 7:40 PM

So the original cast members will be ripped off twice?

by Anonymousreply 57September 4, 2019 7:43 PM

Whatever the configuration, 10 parts is fucking excessive. Look at Fosse/Verdon. They couldn't sustain enough interest for 8 episodes. It felt stretched to beyond boredom. And they had so much more material to work with.

I say one episode should be devoted to Nicole getting a role in the movie version of A Chorus Line and everyone mocking her behind her back for being a talent free cunt who got the job because someone owed daddy a favor.

by Anonymousreply 58September 4, 2019 7:46 PM

Ryan Murphy is out of control. Someone needs to stop that cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 59September 4, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote]Apparently the Chorus Line 10 parter is going to be the story of how it came to be.

There’s nothing to indicate that in the information that’s been released.

by Anonymousreply 60September 4, 2019 9:43 PM

A Chorus Line would be great as a 2 hour Netflix movie. Right the wrongs of the original film version - don't take it and stretch it out until it gets boring.

by Anonymousreply 61September 4, 2019 11:30 PM

"Stark Sands is fat now?"

Please, nooooooooooo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 5, 2019 12:07 AM

Sands’ butt in Die Mommie Die

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2019 12:14 AM

R58 = Lisa Mordente

Anyone who could see the movie version of ACL and pick Nicole as the weakest link has an obvious personal grudge.

by Anonymousreply 64September 5, 2019 12:24 AM

Oy, Bella!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 5, 2019 1:02 AM

Getting back to something that was posted at the end of 366, why HAVEN'T they cast Che in the City Center Evita?

by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2019 1:30 AM

DL fave Andrew Keenan Bolger gender-bends "The History of Wrong Guys" from Kinky Boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2019 1:31 AM

Oh, they haven’t announced Che? I wonder if LMM is going to do it?

by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2019 1:56 AM

Well, doesn't this look spiffy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2019 1:59 AM

Andrew Keenan-Bolger is 34, turns 35 next May. He’s actually a perfect age and type to play Jamie in Company.

by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2019 2:00 AM

A Chorus Line requires a star to play Cassie. You either are a star, or you are not. If you saw the show with Donna McKechnie, then you know. Donna's replacement, Ann Reinking, would have been just fine in the chorus. The other Cassie's I saw over the years would be just fine in the chorus. The only problem with A Chorus Line is finding a Cassie who stands out from the others. Most dancers do not. Donna always did.

And no television mini-series is going to be able to make that problem go away.

by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2019 2:24 AM

None of the other Cassies had the star quality that Donna had. Reinking actually came closest. The rest were very unexceptional.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2019 2:30 AM

Actually, if Leland Palmer has been able to stay with the show in LA beyond the one performance she did, she probably would have been a Cassie with major star quality.

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2019 2:31 AM

Leland Palmer was a stand-out in the National Company of APPLAUSE. She might have been great as Cassie.

Ann Reinking sang the goddamned score in Carol Channing's key. Or possibly William Warfield's. It made a difference. A horrible difference.

by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2019 2:33 AM

The Eleanor Parker company had Candy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2019 2:37 AM

Paging Karen Ziemba, please....Karen Ziemba.

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2019 2:40 AM

I had no star quality?

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2019 2:48 AM

And what about meeeeeee?

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2019 2:53 AM

Mckechnie had no star quality, a fact proven by her post ACL career. When she was in the line, she didn't stand out, which was the point. She was returning to the show because there was nothing left for her, which sadly mirrored McKechnie who returned to ACL many times.

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2019 5:50 AM

No, not true. McKechnie shone in ACL. The point was not that she didn't stand out, but that, having had a bit of success, she had to prove she knew how to "turn it off" so she could be a chorus dancer again. McKechnie was also the best thing about that wretched Follies at Papermill (well, McKechnie and Laurence Guittard).

Bennett fucked her up with ACL. Rather than pushing her as a star (for the Tonys), he should have let her win in supporting, and move on to TV and film in supporting roles. But he felt she was now a big Broadway star and couldn't take something that was beneath her. There's not much in the musicals of the 1980s that she would really have been right for, even in non-dancing roles. Maybe the Witch in Into the Woods. Maybe the ballerina in Grand Hotel (kind of surprised she wasn't one of the replacements for that). Or even Karen Akers' part in Grand Hotel. By the 90s, she was sliding into her 50s, and age became a factor (plus the weight gain that happened when she got arthritis).

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2019 9:21 AM

[quote]Wanda Richert - being a bizarre new age guru somewhere

She's not just a new-age guru. She's also a fundie freak "minister." She's anti-vac and supports Trump and guns. The only time she sounds like the old Wanda is when she is complaining about being screwed out of her royalties.

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2019 9:28 AM

You only have to listen to McKechnie's (mostly) monologue pre Music and the Mirror to recognise that she wasn't all that special outside of her dancing.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2019 9:31 AM

R71, Reinking WAS a star. She had headlined on Bway and had some name recognition.

McKecknie was not well known before ACL. She had never starred in anything on Broadway. She was a great featured dancer, but not anyone the general public would have known.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2019 11:48 AM

Do you think the Bennett would ever allow the original ending where Cassie does *not* make the cut? The current ending always seems like a big fat lie to me.

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2019 11:57 AM

R79, you don't understand A Chorus Line. Not at all.

Cassie is the stand out. Zak tells her so. But she needs a job. She's broke. When she dances with the others, Zak barks at her to fit in. She can't.

But because everyone wants a happy ending, she gets the job. Those are just basic plot points. How did you miss ALL of it?

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2019 12:45 PM

I can dance! I am dance! I am Cassie!

by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2019 1:05 PM

Find fault with the Paper Mill production if you will, r80, but it was far from wretched. There were many things right with it. Dee Hoty really made Ah, But Underneath work, it was nice to see the original Mirror choreography, and the Prologue was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2019 1:25 PM

Maybe Mr. Groff can be persuaded to be in COMPANY.

by Anonymousreply 88September 5, 2019 1:35 PM

Dee Hoty was dull in the book scenes. She was good on the cast recording, as was Ann Miller, another cast member who wasn't great onstage in the actual production.

by Anonymousreply 89September 5, 2019 2:22 PM

Whoever that was who played Cassie last year in the City Center ACL was better than Donna.

by Anonymousreply 90September 5, 2019 2:24 PM

Further casting for Jackman/Foster Music Man announced. Of course Jayne Houdysell is playing Eulalie Shinn:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 5, 2019 2:37 PM

Surprising to see Marie Mullen in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 92September 5, 2019 2:45 PM

I didn't find her at all dull, r89. Even John Simon was effusive about her. I also agreed with his "Phyllis Newman will have to do as Stella".

by Anonymousreply 93September 5, 2019 2:48 PM

Who will play ME in the ACL miniseries?

by Anonymousreply 94September 5, 2019 4:10 PM

R85 you don't understand. Cassie is not a standout until Zach tell us. We don't zero in on Cassie's dancing ability in the opening number because she's the same as everyone else. MATM might have shown us what made her. star but Bennett's choreography (or Donna's as has been rumored) is so lackluster that we don't believe her plight. They used the One moment to showcase her "talent" but she's able to completely blend into the scenery by the number's end. Notice they don't use her in the later Tap Combination because she wouldn't stand out there either.

McKechnie's terrible luck in all entertainment fields after ACL attests to her lack of personal star quality. A good dancer but not a star is a sadly prophetic observation from the show about her.

by Anonymousreply 95September 5, 2019 4:16 PM

To see what a stand-out McKechnie was in her prime, just view all the YouTube videos of "Turkey Lurkey Time." No one else comes close to what she can do. She even stood out at Paper Mill doing "Who's That Woman."

by Anonymousreply 96September 5, 2019 4:29 PM

Turkey Lurkey wasn't ACL and we aren't given that history in the show. McKechnie had lots of chances but the public never embraced her as a star. Physically, she's quite ordinary.

by Anonymousreply 97September 5, 2019 4:31 PM

She did have competition from Liliane, r96

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 5, 2019 4:36 PM

Yes, r96, you ARE given that history in the show.

by Anonymousreply 99September 5, 2019 4:43 PM

^ meant r97

by Anonymousreply 100September 5, 2019 4:44 PM

R99, we're TOLD of it, we don't see it. They keep saying she's too good for the chorus but never get that proof. The original MATM included four chorus boys that enacted what was presumably the numbers that Cassie stopped the show in but was cut. For them to keep saying Cassie is too good for the chorus and we don't believe it makes for a terrible set up.

McKechnie is a lovely lady and fine dancer but very much replaceable.

by Anonymousreply 101September 5, 2019 5:32 PM

To be fair, r101, there are really only two women I'd consider irreplaceable Broadway dancers.....

by Anonymousreply 102September 5, 2019 5:37 PM

R102, we're talking about Cassie and McKechnie and how the upcoming miniseries will be a flop without her. Patently ridiculous. It will be a flop because time has passed it by.

by Anonymousreply 103September 5, 2019 5:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 5, 2019 5:47 PM

Yes, R102. Gwen Verdon and Carol Haney.

by Anonymousreply 105September 5, 2019 5:55 PM

No, Gwen and Chita.

by Anonymousreply 106September 5, 2019 6:11 PM

LIIIIISSSHHAAA!

by Anonymousreply 107September 5, 2019 6:19 PM

r98

Have Tony Sheldon and Dee Hoty ever been seen in the same room?

by Anonymousreply 108September 5, 2019 6:27 PM

Not in the same body.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 5, 2019 6:39 PM

Whatintheholyhell was Phyllis Newman doing in that Follies clip? Patti LuPone in Anything Goes?

by Anonymousreply 110September 5, 2019 7:51 PM

We get it, r101. You’re never going to convince that your opinion is anything but that, an opinion. You don’t have the “right” answer, and Michael Bennett would not agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 111September 5, 2019 8:23 PM

Wow. Shuler Hensley as Marcellus is casting I would not have expected.

And also peculiar to see Broadway’s favorite schlub, Jayne Howdyshell, as Eulalie McKechnie Shinn.

by Anonymousreply 112September 5, 2019 8:27 PM

Jayne Houdyshell is a walking mole.

Not the animal, the growth on one's face.

by Anonymousreply 113September 5, 2019 8:48 PM

Jane Houdyshell and Jefferson Mays seem an odd match. She's quite a bit older than he.

by Anonymousreply 114September 5, 2019 8:56 PM

R111, I guess he wouldn't since he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 115September 5, 2019 9:05 PM

“Ah, But Underneath” is vastly inferior to “The Story of Lucy & Jessie.”

by Anonymousreply 116September 5, 2019 11:24 PM

Dame Diana couldn't dance L&J. Hoty could've, so I'm curious why they didn't use it.

by Anonymousreply 117September 5, 2019 11:36 PM

I love all three of Phyllis' possible Follies numbers

by Anonymousreply 118September 5, 2019 11:52 PM

Did someone mention a leading dancer with star quality?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 6, 2019 12:47 AM

She sits at the Ritz with her splits of Mumms And starts to pine for a stine with her Village chums But with the schlitz in her mitts down in Fitzroy's Bar She thinks of the Ritz, so it's so schizo

by Anonymousreply 120September 6, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote] Did someone mention a leading dancer with star quality?

Well, they sure weren't talking about me.

by Anonymousreply 121September 6, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote]r101 They keep saying she's too good for the chorus but we never get that proof.

Cassie's a dancing Band-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 122September 6, 2019 2:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 6, 2019 2:13 AM

Donna gets dumped in the wings!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 6, 2019 2:25 AM

I never miss a Patty Duke musical.

by Anonymousreply 125September 6, 2019 2:30 AM

I think Patty Duke wrote that she was mortified doing musical numbers in the 60s because she knew she couldn't really sing or dance. She'd drink while recording the songs, and then the emgineers layered uo whatever she could do in the mixing, and it sounded okay-ish. But she felt like a sham.

by Anonymousreply 126September 6, 2019 2:32 AM

^^ layered UP... not "uo"

by Anonymousreply 127September 6, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote]Wow. Shuler Hensley as Marcellus is casting I would not have expected.

I think he's a good choice for the part. A little old for it, maybe, but Hugh Jackman is no spring chicken. And neither is Sutton.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't cast an African American as Marcellus. This means none of the leads in THE MUSIC MAN are people of color. That's refreshing as far as I'm concerned, because it has started to seem like you HAVE to have at least one person of color in a major role in any Broadway show, regardless of the setting and period of the show, or you'll get protests.

by Anonymousreply 128September 6, 2019 3:15 AM

Well they certainly can't make Tommy Djilas be black!

Maybe Winthrop can be Filipino.

by Anonymousreply 129September 6, 2019 3:20 AM

I have no use for Houdyshell since she became complicit in kicking Reed Birney out of the cast of The Humans movie. Everybody else is in, but Houdyshell badmouthed Birney to Karam, and since he's the director, he believed her. She's a snake.

by Anonymousreply 130September 6, 2019 4:07 AM

[quote] I have no use for Houdyshell since she became complicit in kicking Reed Birney out of the cast of The Humans movie. Everybody else is in, but Houdyshell badmouthed Birney to Karam, and since he's the director, he believed her. She's a snake.

Ummm, you have no idea what you're talking about. No one but Houdyshell is reprising. The entire rest of the cast was replaced. It's Beanie Feldstein, Amy Schumer, Steven Yuen, Richard Jenkins and Houdyshell.

by Anonymousreply 131September 6, 2019 4:15 AM

At "Betrayal" on Broadway, a cellphone makes Tom Hiddleston cry:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 6, 2019 5:03 AM

Was "Betrayal" the show that Constance Wu lost out on because (horror of horrors) her TV show got renewed?

by Anonymousreply 133September 6, 2019 5:16 AM

I hear Vivian Vance is understudy to Patti Lupone

by Anonymousreply 134September 6, 2019 5:22 AM

Can we talk about Michael Bennett? Who had him? What are the stories? Was he a filthy slut? Well hung? Whiny bottom? Who were his lovers?

by Anonymousreply 135September 6, 2019 5:43 AM

Wasn’t Michael Avian one of his lovers?

by Anonymousreply 136September 6, 2019 8:26 AM

[quote]So this 10-part A Chorus Line is going to be, what, all the back stories, I guess? That is, At The Ballet will take up an entire episode or more on the three women's childhood dance dreams? Ugh, no. Like it or not, ACL is a pretty streamlined (and intermission-less) show that tells us enough of what we need to know about its characters as it drives toward a spectacular finale (a finale that negates everything we learned about the dancers as they immediately become anonymous). I hope Ryan Murphy never reads George Bernard Shaw; Man and Superman is long enough already.

So don't watch but of course you will and come back week after week and bitch about it

by Anonymousreply 137September 6, 2019 10:08 AM

They should have cast Bobby Banas as Cassie. You can't take your eyes off him in that Billie clip.

by Anonymousreply 138September 6, 2019 10:18 AM

[quote]Wasn’t Michael Avian one of his lovers?

Do you mean Bob Avian? I don’t think he was.

by Anonymousreply 139September 6, 2019 2:28 PM

Time to don our go-go boots.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 6, 2019 2:33 PM

I bet Murphy will say the ACL miniseries primary source will be the hours and hours of audio tapes Bennett made with a group of dancers.

by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2019 3:00 PM

How about casting DL fave Robbie Fairchild as Cassie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 6, 2019 4:14 PM

Emma Roberts is playing Cassie. Evan Peters for Zach.

by Anonymousreply 143September 6, 2019 4:46 PM

Jessica Lange for Sheila. Sarah Paulson for Val!

"I heard that, you bitch. I didn't want them like yours. I wanted mine in proportion."

by Anonymousreply 144September 6, 2019 4:50 PM

They should have Patti LuPone play Zach. What a "meta" kind of moment, for her to play the role created by her brother.

by Anonymousreply 145September 6, 2019 4:51 PM

[quote]How about casting DL fave Robbie Fairchild as Cassie?

He's too much of a cunt for Cassie. It's Sheila or nothing for him.

by Anonymousreply 146September 6, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote]R135 Can we talk about Michael Bennett? Who had him? What are the stories?

Did Donna McKechnie really leave him because he wouldn’t use her in Dreamgirls?

by Anonymousreply 147September 6, 2019 6:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 6, 2019 6:23 PM

This is weird. The Margo Sappington version of Turkey Lurkey Time seems to have been scrubbed form Youtube. The Donna McKechnie version is still there. The revival is still there. The three guys are still there. Why would the Margo Sappington version be deleted?

by Anonymousreply 149September 6, 2019 9:12 PM

They were finished years before Dreamgirls, r147.

by Anonymousreply 150September 6, 2019 9:14 PM

Margo Sappington, Donna and Baayork were the original cast for Turkey Lurkey. Sappington left the show first, though, for Oh Calcutta. By the time the number was done on the Tonys in 1969, she was long gone. Was there another tape from an appearance earlier in the run that is missing now?

by Anonymousreply 151September 6, 2019 9:26 PM

R151, yes. There was a version where Margo Sappington dances the lead, Donna is not in the number, and Baayork has the ridiculous white collar added to her costume.

by Anonymousreply 152September 6, 2019 9:30 PM

Oh, here’s Margo’s version!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 6, 2019 9:41 PM

That ain't me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 6, 2019 9:45 PM

Speaking of "Oh! Calcutta!", does anyone have any updates on some of the folks who appeared in the show and what happened to them (besides the famous ones like Bill Macy ("Maude") and Alan Rachins ("L.A. Law", "Dharma and Gregg"). For instance, there was this one guy Cy Moore who I remember, when the revival opened, had his naked back in posters on the NY subway; he looked really hot. Does anyone hear know anybody who did the show? (Btw, I'm more interested in hearing about the guys.)

by Anonymousreply 155September 6, 2019 9:51 PM

Here's the original cast of "Oh! Calcutta!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 6, 2019 9:53 PM

The guy on the top here was Cy Moore - not as good as photo as the poster, but you can tell he was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 6, 2019 9:56 PM

There was an Ed Sullivan Show performance of Turkey Lurkey Time that used to be on YouTube. The sound is better. The image is better. The dancing is not better. It's probably Lada Edmund dancing Vivien Della Hoya. Barbara Alston is Miss Polanski.

But now it's gone from YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 158September 6, 2019 10:06 PM

What's our Miss Brooksie up to next?

by Anonymousreply 159September 6, 2019 10:09 PM

[quote]Speaking of "Oh! Calcutta!", does anyone have any updates on some of the folks who appeared in the show and what happened to them (besides the famous ones like Bill Macy ("Maude") and Alan Rachins ("L.A. Law", "Dharma and Gregg").

Cress Darwin was in the original 1976 revival cast at the Edison Theatre. He was the male in the nude Pas de Deux with Haru Aki. You'll never guess where he is now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 6, 2019 10:51 PM

[quote]Did Donna McKechnie really leave him because he wouldn’t use her in Dreamgirls?

Well that and he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 161September 6, 2019 11:23 PM

Wait! All those guys were actually naked on stage and none were hung to their knees? How did they find such tiny guys?

by Anonymousreply 162September 6, 2019 11:25 PM

[quote]There was an Ed Sullivan Show performance of Turkey Lurkey Time that used to be on YouTube.

Oh - well, if that's the missing one, it makes sense. The guy who controls all those Ed Sullivan clips has his minions go through YouTube periodically to have anything that he owns removed. He theoretically wants them so he can release them, but he's already done his "Broadway" release. He won't be doing another one. Fortunately, those Sullivan clips all made it out years ago, and every time one gets deleted, one of the guardian queens puts it back up.

by Anonymousreply 163September 6, 2019 11:34 PM

There were other pictures from that original Oh Calcutta. My memory is that Leon Russom (the younger guy dead center in that pic) actually had a nice sized dick, George Welbes (standing to his left), too. Bill Macy and the other two, not so much.

I wonder which cast this was?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 6, 2019 11:40 PM

Wow. Cress Darwin these days is rather handsome. Too bad there are no pictures from his Oh Calcutta stint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 6, 2019 11:44 PM

This is the 1976 revival cast. Is Cress Darwin the one standing on his head? None of the others really looks like the older picture. (I know the guy on the right with the mustache is Richert Easley, renowned for his Karen Black drag ("I can't fly this plane alone. I can't! I can't!") in that Craig Russell film, Outrageous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 6, 2019 11:57 PM

The guy on the left is Buddy Jarvis who originated the role of the Courier in 1776 and sang"Momma Look Sharp."

by Anonymousreply 167September 7, 2019 12:03 AM

R166 that picture is of a replacement cast for the 1976 revival, not the original revival cast. The only person from the original revival cast in that picture is September Thorpe, pictured far left. That is not Cress Darwin who is standing on his head.

by Anonymousreply 168September 7, 2019 12:08 AM

R167 is referring to Scott Jarvis, who sang Momma Look Sharp in the OBC of 1776. Here's his obituary in the NY Times, March 3, 1990:

Scott Jarvis, an actor and singer, died of AIDS on Monday at his home in Manhattan. He was 48 years old.

As a member of the original cast of the musical '1776,' Mr. Jarvis sang the antiwar song 'Mama Look Sharp.' He sang the song at a White House reception given by President Richard M. Nixon, and on the 1969 Tony Awards telecast. Mr. Jarvis also appeared in the musicals 'Sugar' and 'Here's Where I Belong.'

He appeared in several television shows, including 'Starsky and Hutch,' 'The Young and the Restless' and 'The Edge of Night.'

There are no survivors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 7, 2019 12:13 AM

This is a souvenir program from the original 1976 revival cast. Haru Aki, Cy Moore, Cress Darwin, etc. There are pictures of Darwin and Aki dancing the pas de deux but his dick is obscured. But at the end, they have a "take of the robe" picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 7, 2019 12:35 AM

I remember Scott Jarvis from when he was the maitre d at Palsson's, back in the 80s when Forbidden Broadway was there. He was a sweet but also gay bitch hilarious. If he was only 48 when he died, then was aging horribly, because he looked like he was in his 50s when he worked at Palsson's.

by Anonymousreply 171September 7, 2019 12:38 AM

Here's a good picture of the original 1976 revival cast. Cress Darwin is the actor on the far right.

Interesting trivia: Pamela Pilkenton (second from the right) married actor John Hamill (tall actor with curly hair, fifth from the left). Have no idea if they are still married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 7, 2019 12:51 AM

Enough about the nudie show.

I can’t wait for the October publication of Still Here, a biography of Elaine Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 173September 7, 2019 1:41 AM

R173 What don't you know?

by Anonymousreply 174September 7, 2019 1:44 AM

Thank the goddess she's not still here - -

I hope they don't go into all the details about her musty, virginal, 30-year-old vagina.

by Anonymousreply 175September 7, 2019 1:44 AM

R175 Yaaaah vagina stories

by Anonymousreply 176September 7, 2019 1:48 AM

R175 Yaaaah vagina stories

by Anonymousreply 177September 7, 2019 1:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 7, 2019 2:04 AM

[quote] If he was only 48 when he died, then was aging horribly, because he looked like he was in his 50s when he worked at Palsson's.

Perhaps the fact that he had AIDS had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 179September 7, 2019 2:39 AM

Very cute replacement guy Nick Mangano I think is a theater professor now. He had a gorgeous hairy chest and a beautiful smile and a sexy moustache. He's the guy with the tambourine being held above his head. Also remember seeing at another time the understudy, Bill Bass, very handsome with a stache, go on, and he was so happy to go on and show off his huge dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 7, 2019 3:16 AM

"Naked Boys Singing" premiered over 20 years ago! Amazing that those guys are all middle-aged now and probably going after twinks like they used to be, though a few of them were straight.

by Anonymousreply 181September 7, 2019 3:18 AM

ENCORES is bringing back a refreshed Oh! Calcutta! for the 2020-21 season. Jeannine Tesori and Tony Kushner are already at work, fine-tuning the score and the book, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 182September 7, 2019 3:33 AM

R182 Isn't the 'book' a series of famous sketches and songs written by people of the moment?

by Anonymousreply 183September 7, 2019 3:45 AM

r183 you know that r182 was kidding, right?

by Anonymousreply 184September 7, 2019 1:46 PM

It is good that you asked, R184. One can take nothing for granted on a theater thread. Even the obvious.

These are people notoriously lacking a sense of irony.

by Anonymousreply 185September 7, 2019 2:47 PM

BAT OUT OF HELL closing tomorrow! Will it be remembered come Tony season?

by Anonymousreply 186September 7, 2019 3:16 PM

You're probably joking, but I'm almost positive that BAT OUT OF HELL will not be Tony eligible, as I'm 99 percent sure it was not produced on Broadway contracts.

by Anonymousreply 187September 7, 2019 3:19 PM

No Tony nods. Just fumigation of City Center.

by Anonymousreply 188September 7, 2019 3:38 PM

Jon Groff has a already signed up to take off the robe in Encores' new Oh! Calcutta! Rumors are that everyone's favorite Broadway elder-twink, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, will be joining the cast to dance the male part of the pas de deux.

by Anonymousreply 189September 7, 2019 5:11 PM

I'm sure Jay Binder would be in favor of Encores staging Oh Calcutta! - anything to give him a legit reason to get actors to strip for him

by Anonymousreply 190September 7, 2019 6:19 PM

But “Oh Calcutta!” Is a terrible show.

by Anonymousreply 191September 7, 2019 6:37 PM

[quote] But “Oh Calcutta!” Is a terrible show.

Darling, so is Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 192September 7, 2019 6:37 PM

Agreed

by Anonymousreply 193September 7, 2019 6:52 PM

I can't answer your questions right now, I'm on the phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194September 7, 2019 11:09 PM

Somebody posted this on ATC.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 8, 2019 12:24 AM

I saw BAT OUT OF HELL and haven't really recovered from the confusion I felt throughout.

by Anonymousreply 196September 8, 2019 12:31 AM

Frank Dilella did his whole show tonight on "Moulin Rouge." Not saying it's a bad show (haven't seen it), just that it looks like it's the manifestation of every complaint ever made about Broadway these days (i.e., an empty film-based extravaganza designed solely to pull in tourist dollars). The critics gave it a great big huge pass, though, so perhaps it's better than it seems. I think it's also, at least for now, the show expected to sweep up everything in sight come Tony time.

by Anonymousreply 197September 8, 2019 1:06 AM

Sorry, I take that last part back: I forgot Dilella also did a segment about how Broadway shows based on blockbuster films don't always go on to sweep the Tonys (case in point, "Frozen"), so it remains to be seen about how "Moulin Rouge" will do.

by Anonymousreply 198September 8, 2019 1:35 AM

Not to mention when Broadway shows based on popular movies not only don't sweep the Tonys, but are big ol' flops.

by Anonymousreply 199September 8, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]R185 One can take nothing for granted on a theater thread. Even the obvious. These are people notoriously lacking a sense of irony.

Is it time to start a new thread yet?

by Anonymousreply 200September 8, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]Not to mention when Broadway shows based on popular movies not only don't sweep the Tonys, but are big ol' flops.

Stop looking at me!

by Anonymousreply 201September 8, 2019 3:12 AM

Poor TOOTSIE. Business was up almost 10% this week!

But capacity-wise, still the lowest-selling show on Bway.

by Anonymousreply 202September 8, 2019 3:15 AM

Yes, according to Seth Rudetsky, no stage show based on a hugely popular movie has ever succeeded on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 203September 8, 2019 3:50 AM

Seth never saw The Lion King?

by Anonymousreply 204September 8, 2019 3:54 AM

I hate most jukebox musicals (with the exception of Ain’t Misbehavin’) and deplore most film-to-stage adaptations, but I thought Moulin Rouge was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 205September 8, 2019 10:03 AM

[quote]Somebody posted this on ATC.....

That's old news, the black netting came down months ago. Now you can clearly see the front of the theater as work progresses. It's going to get excruciatingly slow to actually raise the building, just wonder if you can see it or they will block with scaffolding.

It's the construction behind the TKTS booth. The elevator track on the left is where the hotel starts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 8, 2019 10:15 AM

Nice rendition of “When You Believe” by cast members of the upcoming West End production of Prince of Egypt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 8, 2019 2:00 PM

[quote]the upcoming West End production of Prince of Egypt.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 208September 8, 2019 2:12 PM

Because, R208, theater has been reduced to Product now. That's all. The show is the product. The writing is the content.

It's all dead. Dead and gone.

by Anonymousreply 209September 8, 2019 2:24 PM

Oh for chrissakes, I can't get that stupid Delicatessen song out of my head. What was that from?

by Anonymousreply 210September 8, 2019 2:31 PM

R203 Seth has no time-delay on his mouth. He constantly makes stupid mistakes on air, and, as dowager queen of Broadway knowledge (Julie James, who I find more odious and obsequious) is the lady-in-waiting. The only people on that serious channel I can stand are Christine Pedi (no brain trust herself, but always seems nice and warm and her imitations are quite well-done) and Johnny Tartags (who should be doing better than summer theatre with his mom, but he is not the most castable of actors--when I heard he was doing The Music Man, I thought he would make a splendid Mrs. Shinn or even a decent Marcellus, but Harold Hill? No--more like Debbie Reynolds' Carol Hill). And they play the same damn songs over and over in rotation. I get that the channel is not designed for aging theatre queens like myself, but it would be nice to hear some things other than les oeuvres of ALW, Sondheim, and whoever has a show currently on Broadway).

by Anonymousreply 211September 8, 2019 2:50 PM

Seth is now, and always has been, full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 212September 8, 2019 3:05 PM

not a. Tootsie fan or defend about the same number of attendees as Hamilton and Moulin Rouge. But the average price was pretty low, they still in trubs

by Anonymousreply 213September 8, 2019 4:41 PM

I remember meeting Seth R and I was rather stunned by his lack of knowledge and limited point of reference. Actually clued him into a potential point for an upcoming interview with Howard McGillin (La Bohème) only to have McGillin bring it up himself.Another part of the same conversation a reference to vintage Broadway diva and Seth said that’s more the area of a mutual friend than his (despite some of his video deconstructions).

Shameless self promoter and not the brightest bulb. I remember when he began to contribute to PLAYBILL and on occasion being appalled by his written grammar.

As another mutual friend said of him “ I knew Seth before he was ‘SETH’. She has no use for him”.

by Anonymousreply 214September 8, 2019 6:08 PM

But have you seen my stepdaughter Juli's FAN KICKS!?

Juli, put that cheesecake DOWN!

by Anonymousreply 215September 8, 2019 6:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 8, 2019 7:53 PM

Funny how we obsess over ACL when it’s so dated a show.

The word-for-word, move-per-move identical revival was a flop because the story has been done in so many forms since the original ACL that it’s cliched at this point.

Let it go! It would be nice to see at Encores in 20 years

by Anonymousreply 217September 8, 2019 8:25 PM

r217

I was surprised that it took so long for a revival of ACL to arrive and when it did, I was surprised that they didn't get better dancers/actors than they did... I've seen better ACLs in my community theaters quite honestly

by Anonymousreply 218September 8, 2019 8:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 8, 2019 8:53 PM

Seth is only interested in shows with big belty divas. He isn't interested in male singers and couldn't care less about most shows from the "Golden Age" 1930s - 1964. .

by Anonymousreply 220September 9, 2019 2:27 AM

Where is Seth's Medea? His Madame Armfeldt?

by Anonymousreply 221September 9, 2019 2:48 AM

I thought the ACL documentary, EVERY LITTLE STEP, was 1) a bit dull, considering what a cultural phenomenon ACL was and 2) did not bode well for the revival.

It was one of the reasons I avoided the revival. That and the word-of-mouth about how disappointing it was.

I'd rather treasure my memory of the original. A lot of things shouldn't be revived.

by Anonymousreply 222September 9, 2019 3:06 AM

[quote]I'd rather treasure my memory of the original. A lot of things shouldn't be revived.

That's how I feel about "The Black Crook."

by Anonymousreply 223September 9, 2019 3:10 AM

A lot of kids wouldn't know who Robert Goulet was, for instance, when one of the girls in ACL in "Hello, Twelve, Hello Thirteen" is raving about Goulet. They probably have no idea where or what "Peyton Place" was. There are a lot of references which make the show very much about its time. So it pretty much has to be done as a period piece when it is done. I hope young budding ballerinas still watch "The Red Shoes" and after "Fosse/Verdon" some folks are again aware of Verdon's incredible talent; again, these are two reference in ACL, among many which put in in the mid 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 224September 9, 2019 3:18 AM

Was the revival set present day? Or back in the 70s? I just assumed it was the latter.

by Anonymousreply 225September 9, 2019 3:25 AM

I saw the revival but don't recall when it was supposed to be set. The book wasn't updated, so I guess it was set in the '70s by default.

by Anonymousreply 226September 9, 2019 3:48 AM

The revival of ACL was, of course, set in the original time period.

by Anonymousreply 227September 9, 2019 3:53 AM

In fairness to the revival, they weren't allowed to update it. It wasn't until a few years ago that the estate of Michael Bennett allowed it to be restaged.

by Anonymousreply 228September 9, 2019 4:42 AM

They should reimagine it, where they're all auditioning for a circus troup or something.

by Anonymousreply 229September 9, 2019 4:53 AM

I didn’t really know what “Peyton Place” was when the original came out. I vaguely knew that it was some TV soap from the 60s, but had no idea what “locked in the bathroom with Peyton Place” meant or that it was considered so shocking in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 230September 9, 2019 6:58 AM

[quote]I'd rather treasure my memory of the original. A lot of things shouldn't be revived.

[quoteThat's how I feel about "The Black Crook."

I feel the same way about “Our American Cousin”.

by Anonymousreply 231September 9, 2019 7:00 AM

And again, who had Michael Bennett? Was he a slut? Sexy? Top or bottom? Did he have relationships with men?

by Anonymousreply 232September 9, 2019 10:36 AM

I think PEYTON PLACE has pretty much found its way into the lexicon, just as LADY CHATTERLY'S LOVER has as a scandalous book. Just because you don't get every reference doesn't mean the work is dated. Cole Porter's songs are stuffed with period people and things, but that's part of their charm.

by Anonymousreply 233September 9, 2019 2:04 PM

Bennett was the Jerry Mitchell of his day, with way more talent.

by Anonymousreply 234September 9, 2019 2:15 PM

[quote]They should reimagine it, where they're all auditioning for a circus troupe or something.

Maybe a mash-up with "Pippin."

by Anonymousreply 235September 9, 2019 3:22 PM

What's a......circus?

by Anonymousreply 236September 9, 2019 3:43 PM

The Encores presentation of A Chorus Line at City Center (some sort of Encores Gala thing) last year was amazing and everything that the mummified Broadway revival wasn't. As far as I could tell, the Encores production was the original choreography and book, but it had so much more vitality and heart. The Broadway revival had neither. It was rote and boring. And poor Charlotte failed to make an impression, as always.

by Anonymousreply 237September 9, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]The Encores presentation of A Chorus Line at City Center (some sort of Encores Gala thing) last year was amazing and everything that the mummified Broadway revival wasn't. As far as I could tell, the Encores production was the original choreography and book, but it had so much more vitality and heart. The Broadway revival had neither. It was rote and boring. And poor Charlotte failed to make an impression, as always.

True, that.

by Anonymousreply 238September 9, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote]And poor Charlotte failed to make an impression, as always.

They had their chance...

by Anonymousreply 239September 9, 2019 4:31 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 9, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote]It's going to get excruciatingly slow to actually raise the building,

Oh Dear! I'm so confused, up is down and down is up

by Anonymousreply 241September 9, 2019 4:45 PM

Agree about the City Center A Chorus Line - Robyn Hurder was an excellent Cassie. The best production I've seen since the original.

by Anonymousreply 242September 9, 2019 4:49 PM

Seth's interviewing skills have not improved in the slightest since his Chatterbox days. He interrupts guests every half second. It's rude and obnoxious, but he thinks it's part of his "witty" schtick.

by Anonymousreply 243September 9, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote]He interrupts guests every half second.

His interview with John Cullum (not a particularly fast speaker on a good day) was especially egregious. Cullum is a legend; let him complete a sentence, for god’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 244September 9, 2019 5:35 PM

Matt Doyle is playing Jamie in COMPANY.

by Anonymousreply 245September 9, 2019 5:41 PM

Since it's clear we're never going to get a revival of Ain't Misbehavin', is it too soon to bring back Hairspray?

by Anonymousreply 246September 9, 2019 6:07 PM

Wokesters and the trans community are up in arms about Trunchball in the Matilda movie reportedly being played by a man. I can’t imagine they’d be okay with Edna being played by a man anymore.

JFC...

by Anonymousreply 247September 9, 2019 6:48 PM

I'd be up in arms about a Matilda movie being made, period. Who the fuck is asking for that shit?

by Anonymousreply 248September 9, 2019 6:59 PM

[quote] I can’t imagine they’d be okay with Edna being played by a man anymore.

Peter Pan has been primarily (although not exclusively) played by women since James M. Barrie wrote the play. Edna being played by a man is now a theater convention, although certainly not as longstanding as the "Peter Pan" tradition. Will we have only male Peter Pans from now on?

by Anonymousreply 249September 9, 2019 7:04 PM

only gay men and lesbos can do peter

by Anonymousreply 250September 9, 2019 7:25 PM

[quote]only gay men and lesbos can do peter

You’ll get no argument from me.

by Anonymousreply 251September 9, 2019 7:47 PM

[quote]only gay men and lesbos can do peter

You’ll get no argument from me.

by Anonymousreply 252September 9, 2019 7:47 PM

[quote]Matt Doyle is playing Jamie in COMPANY.

I thought he gave up performing to become a personal trainer?

by Anonymousreply 253September 9, 2019 7:49 PM

[quote]Seth's interviewing skills have not improved in the slightest since his Chatterbox days. He interrupts guests every half second. It's rude and obnoxious, but he thinks it's part of his "witty" schtick.

Interesting. In some recent interviews I've seen, I thought he was actually much improved since his Chatterbox days -- interrupting far less often, and maybe talking a little more slowly. I suppose maybe this varies from one interview to the next.

by Anonymousreply 254September 9, 2019 8:03 PM

Seth makes his interviews about HIM. He basically doesn't care what the other person has to say as long as whatever they say is a cue for him to quip or tell an anecdote about himself.

by Anonymousreply 255September 9, 2019 9:36 PM

I believe it's written into the performing contracts that Edna has to be cast with a male.

by Anonymousreply 256September 9, 2019 9:55 PM

[quote]r236 What's a......circus?

This place.

by Anonymousreply 257September 9, 2019 10:00 PM

This place a circus? Hardly. I've worked in a circus. It was a much healthier place to be.

Data Lounge is more like group therapy in a residential housing program.

by Anonymousreply 258September 9, 2019 10:07 PM

If Seth is so disliked by the Broadway community, how does he get so many stars on his cruises or up in P town to perform with him ?

by Anonymousreply 259September 9, 2019 10:16 PM

Welcome to the Circus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 9, 2019 10:21 PM

Come join the DL circus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 9, 2019 10:31 PM

R259

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 9, 2019 10:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 9, 2019 11:27 PM

Come look at the freaks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 9, 2019 11:46 PM

Fuck those bulldykes Joan and Marlene.

I got to ride a pink elephant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265September 9, 2019 11:49 PM

I know a certain "freak" who fit right in at the circus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266September 9, 2019 11:52 PM

Bombshell Betty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267September 9, 2019 11:53 PM

Circus, you say? Why that gives me a totally original and never-done-before idea for a show

by Anonymousreply 268September 9, 2019 11:55 PM

Okay we don't need any more stupid "circus" things. One was enough. But as usual, you over do it and don't know when to stop.

by Anonymousreply 269September 9, 2019 11:55 PM

Doris Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 9, 2019 11:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 10, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote]r269 we don't need any more stupid "circus" things.

Okay, but can I just say it's so funny when old movies show elaborate, supposed stage numbers that would never be done? Like, a Broadway show would really keep 3 elephants, a llama, a horse and a marching band backstage each night?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272September 10, 2019 12:19 AM

Seth Rudetsky is the Andy Cohen of Broadway musical world.

And the next revival of A CHORUS LINE will be set present-day: onstage, but as a reality TV competition to win parts in a Broadway show. It will feature giant video screens and live social media broadcasting from the audience, plus a different "surprise celeb" guest every night as Zach, the director. "Music and the Mirror" will be replaced by a mash-up medley of ever-changing top 10 singles. No one will miss MATM anyway.

It will make a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 273September 10, 2019 1:08 AM

Re: The moaning about the casting in the film of Matilda. What's become obvious is that there is so much complaint and bitching about casting, no minorities in the leads (the up-coming revival of The Music Man), an actor not being exactly who he/she has been cast and on and on that we've hit a tipping point of so much noise, it's easily ignored.

by Anonymousreply 274September 10, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote]r274 ...we've hit a tipping point of so much noise, it's easily ignored.

But you're not ignoring it - -

by Anonymousreply 275September 10, 2019 1:29 AM

[quote]Okay we don't need any more stupid "circus" things. One was enough. But as usual, you over do it and don't know when to stop.

We're sorry, Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 276September 10, 2019 1:59 AM

[italic]"What do you mean, playing?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 10, 2019 3:24 AM

Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick are doing a revival of "Plaza Suite."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278September 10, 2019 6:17 PM

"Plaza Suite"???? Without Neil Simon around to do rewrites, this is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. Talk about past its prime. And that's just the play.

by Anonymousreply 279September 10, 2019 8:30 PM

I’d rather see a stage version of Love, American Style with a revolving cast every week.

by Anonymousreply 280September 10, 2019 9:15 PM

I'd rather see a revival of "Oh Calcutta" with a revolving cast every week!

by Anonymousreply 281September 10, 2019 9:22 PM

I'd rather see the original Les Miserables with a revolving cast

by Anonymousreply 282September 10, 2019 9:24 PM

If they're going to do dated Neil Simon, it should be The Prisoner of Second Avenue. The plot of an upper middle class couple's descent into madness lite was a pretty prescient commentary on the ultimate eradication of that strata in NYC.

It would be both a time capsule and a reminder that lots of regular real people used to live in Manhattan, and not that long ago. The way Simon dismantles his seemingly successful pair is a perfect metaphor for the loss of Manhattan's personality.

Plus the play is angry with some edge. Plaza Suite is a comic strip in comparison, which I guess is what they want.

by Anonymousreply 283September 10, 2019 9:24 PM

I'm going, I enjoy both of them.

by Anonymousreply 284September 10, 2019 9:24 PM

SJP and Matthew Broderick are many, many years past their box-office prime. This ain't George C. Scott and Maureen Stapleton here. I don't see this being a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 285September 10, 2019 9:31 PM

John Benjamin Hickey is directing? Has he directed anything before?

"The project will make for a complicated winter for Mr. Hickey, who is also an actor, and who is featured in this season’s Broadway production of 'The Inheritance,' which begins performances later this month. Mr. Hickey said he expected to take a “brief leave” from 'The Inheritance' to oversee rehearsals of 'Plaza Suite.'"

by Anonymousreply 286September 10, 2019 9:38 PM

R274 I routinely ignore Singapore/Fling's posts on ATC, among others, since that's his whole shtick. Frankly, it's getting boring.

by Anonymousreply 287September 10, 2019 10:01 PM

I’m available for the Sydney production of The Inheritance!

by Anonymousreply 288September 10, 2019 10:50 PM

John Benjamin Hickey is a core member of SJP and Broderick's circle of pet gays, including Andy Cohen, Anderson Cooper, and others. My guess is SJP and Broderick will basically direct themselves and didn't want interference from some underling.

So they found one of their beloved underlings who wouldn't dare interfere.

This is going to suck enormously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289September 10, 2019 11:39 PM

So don't go, problem solved. See how easy that is?

by Anonymousreply 290September 11, 2019 12:05 AM

Broderick and Parker might actually be decent and better cast in "The Prisoner of 2nd Avenue". Acts 1 and 2 of "Plaza Suite" are really hard to pull off, especially since those two usually give the same performances all the time, especially him.

by Anonymousreply 291September 11, 2019 12:13 AM

I’d rather see someone like Jessica Hecht play the wife in Prisoner of Second Avenue.

Ashley Day is playing Nicky Arnstein opposite Christina Bianchi in Paris starting next month? Mon dieu!

by Anonymousreply 292September 11, 2019 12:26 AM

As witnessed in London some 8 or 9 years back with Mercedes Ruehl and Jeff Goldblum, "Prisoner Of Second Avenue" just doesn't work anymore and hasn't aged well. I imagine "Plaza Suite" will be even worse.

by Anonymousreply 293September 11, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]Ashley Day is playing Nicky Arnstein opposite Christina Bianchi in Paris starting next month? Mon dieu!

Didn't Ashley move to New York from London recently?

by Anonymousreply 294September 11, 2019 12:50 AM

What was the last Neil Simon play to be revived successfully? Did the Lane/Broderick Odd Couple recoup?

by Anonymousreply 295September 11, 2019 12:51 AM

Anyone who saw or even recalls the play PLAZA SUITE on Broadway as an adult.... is now at least 70 years old.

Who exactly do SJP and Broderick think the audience for this Simon revival is? Or is it based entirely on their own fandoms? Parker couldn't get her fandom to tune in to DIVORCE.

by Anonymousreply 296September 11, 2019 12:52 AM

Divorce was a chore to watch in season 2. I couldn’t imagine suffering through season 3. Life is too short.

by Anonymousreply 297September 11, 2019 12:53 AM

I could see them being funny in the act about the wedding where the daughter won’t come out. Not so much in the one where he’s trying to seduce his old girlfriend. I can’t even remember what the third one is.

by Anonymousreply 298September 11, 2019 1:34 AM

Why on earth does anyone want to do one of those hideous old Neil Simon plays?

by Anonymousreply 299September 11, 2019 1:36 AM

Ashley Day is such a slut, I imagine he’s going to have a field day with all that hot Parisian chorus cock.

by Anonymousreply 300September 11, 2019 1:38 AM

Of course it did.

by Anonymousreply 301September 11, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]I routinely ignore Singapore/Fling's posts on ATC, among others, since that's his whole shtick. Frankly, it's getting boring.

Me too. He seems to be a smart and well-informed person, but many of his posts are insufferable because he is so aggressively, annoyingly, ridiculously "woke." If I understand the situation correctly, he's a gay white guy whose partner is a POC. Is that right? There seems to be a lot of self loathing going on with him.

by Anonymousreply 302September 11, 2019 1:55 AM

Bianco, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 303September 11, 2019 2:27 AM

R300, most of the chorus boys in Funny Girl will be British. The show will be in English and the French don’t have a musical theatre culture thus no chorus boys.

by Anonymousreply 304September 11, 2019 2:30 AM

Don Porter from "Gidget" and the film "The Candidate" and Peggy Cass from "Auntie Mame" and "To Tell The Truth" headlined "Plaza Suite" after George C. Scott and Maureen Stapleton left the Broadway production.

The 3rd act is the one with the father and mother of the bride dealing with her locking herself in the bathroom. It's the only act that's consistently funny; the first act if I recall is pretty bittersweet and the second is more based on insinuation and the guy trying to seduce the woman, but isn't typically as farcical or funny as the 3rd act.

by Anonymousreply 305September 11, 2019 4:45 AM

Don Porter with Mo Stapleton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 11, 2019 9:58 AM

Don Porter with Peggy Cass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307September 11, 2019 10:00 AM

Why aren't they doing California Suite? It certainly is a better movie, if not the better play.

by Anonymousreply 308September 11, 2019 11:17 AM

Broadway has been dead for a long, long, time. Still, reading that SJP and Matty Broderick will assume roles once created by Maureen Stapleton and George C. Scott - even in a Neil Simon comedy - feels like the final indignity.

by Anonymousreply 309September 11, 2019 11:39 AM

And John Benjamin Hickey is no Mike Nichols.

by Anonymousreply 310September 11, 2019 12:15 PM

Brighton Beach was a flop and they never even got around to doing the other one in rep. And, quite frankly, it was probably the most revivable of all of Simon's plays in that it had a real story and real heart.

No one respects Simon more than I do. He caught lightning in a bottle so many times, it defies belief. The man knew how to write jokes. But unless you’ve got HUGE stars (ie Lane & Broderick), who’s gonna show up these days?

by Anonymousreply 311September 11, 2019 1:42 PM

Izzard out Everett in...let the tiresome bitching begin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312September 11, 2019 1:55 PM

Miss Rosemary Harris in Plaza Suite.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313September 11, 2019 2:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 11, 2019 2:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315September 11, 2019 2:09 PM

Queens cops sting Broadway piano player who allegedly thought he lured 14-year-old for sex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316September 11, 2019 2:12 PM

ew

by Anonymousreply 317September 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Even more grotesque, they describe King Kong as a Broadway hit.

by Anonymousreply 318September 11, 2019 2:19 PM

SJP and hubby would do well to follow the lead of the movie, with three different actresses playing the three women. And do the same with the men. Neither of them has the chops to handle the versatility required.

by Anonymousreply 319September 11, 2019 2:55 PM

The problem with Plaza Suite is the same problem with DL fave Trilogy of Terror- the first two stories are deadly dull and you have to sit through them to get to the last one, which is the really good one.

by Anonymousreply 320September 11, 2019 3:16 PM

Well, there's always seconding acting, or in this case, 3rd acting -- if there are 3 intermissions like the original. Although with today being 9/11, I don't know how easy it is to 2nd act anymore.

by Anonymousreply 321September 11, 2019 3:24 PM

pardon, 2 intermissions like the original.

by Anonymousreply 322September 11, 2019 3:24 PM

How does The Good Doctor hold up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323September 11, 2019 3:29 PM

Ask Walter Bobbie!

by Anonymousreply 324September 11, 2019 3:31 PM

THE GOOD DOCTOR has never been revived on Broadway. One of my favorite plays by Mr. Simon, and it is timeless. There's a revival I would pay to see.

by Anonymousreply 325September 11, 2019 3:39 PM

THE GOOD DOCTOR must have been the first time I saw Christopher Plummer onstage. That was one helluva cast.

by Anonymousreply 326September 11, 2019 3:42 PM

[quote]Ask Walter Bobbie!

ASSASSIN!!!

by Anonymousreply 327September 11, 2019 5:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 11, 2019 6:36 PM

"You still dress like a stolen car." Hah! And, good lord, her smile could light up Times Square *and* the West End.

by Anonymousreply 329September 11, 2019 11:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 11, 2019 11:40 PM

Yikes, has the "B" Troll invaded our Theatre Gossip Thread?

Let's get back to 21st century matters, please. Like that Neil Simon revival.....

by Anonymousreply 331September 12, 2019 12:07 AM

And lo those many years later Midler was Carson's last guest and she won an Emmy for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332September 12, 2019 12:52 AM

What Alex Brightman does on his day off:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333September 12, 2019 1:29 AM

Is Broadway ready for "Slave Play"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334September 12, 2019 1:31 AM

Ready for more jukebox musicals?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335September 12, 2019 1:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336September 12, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]Stark Sands is fat now?

I think the comment was referring to the guy in the London cast (which was the one telecast), not to Stark Sands.

by Anonymousreply 337September 12, 2019 5:48 AM

I worked as a projectionist around the late 70's and would screen the new releases for the movie theater staff the Thursday night before their Friday opening, and when we screened The Prisoner of Second Avenue not one of my coworkers laughed, and we all thought it was shrill and terrible.

Much to our surprise, there was lots and lots of laughter from the audience that weekend... i guess some movies just need a big crowd to deliver the the goods.

by Anonymousreply 338September 12, 2019 6:17 AM

The film of Prisoner was awful. terrible film. But onstage, Peter Falk and Lee Grant, Art Carney and Barbara Barrie, and Phyllis Newman and Hector Elizondo, brought the house down. And Mike Nichols made it prettier than it was supposed to be, as was his habit.

by Anonymousreply 339September 12, 2019 2:40 PM

I saw the National Company of PRISONER with Shelly Berman and Mimi Hines. They were terrific.

But, yes. The play is pretty thin, especially if you don't give a damn about white male middle-aged angst.

by Anonymousreply 340September 12, 2019 2:46 PM

I'm sure that there will be a lot of discussion about Slave Play after it opens. Some will be on Paul Nolan's ass ( which is delightful). Most of it will be on the theme and the message. Ultra-liberals, who are motivated by white guilt, will passionately defend it as an expose of how white supremacy has subconsciously invaded the minds of ALL white people and how every white person is inherently racist. Theater critics will go on about how repetitious and overly pedantic the message is and how the blatant lecturing is enough to ruin the experience. Many will feel ripped off, some urging reparations for the evils of white people. But, if you go to see it and hate it, wait until the end when Paul reveals his ass. Then you can go home, because it will be the only thing you will remember

by Anonymousreply 341September 12, 2019 3:06 PM

Is Paul Nolan black or white?

by Anonymousreply 342September 12, 2019 3:19 PM

[quote]Some will be on Paul Nolan's ass

All New York should be on Paul Nolan's ass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343September 12, 2019 3:26 PM

Oh, he's white. He's unlikely to have much of an ass.

by Anonymousreply 344September 12, 2019 3:29 PM

I don't understand how John Benjamin Hickey can appear in a major, two-part London import like The Inheritance and at the same time make his Broadway directing debut with Plaza Suite.

One of the projects will have to suffer…

by Anonymousreply 345September 12, 2019 3:34 PM

First show I ever saw as a kid with an English class...Hector Elizondo and Barbara Barrie.

[quote]I worked as a projectionist around the late 70's and would screen the new releases for the movie theater staff the Thursday night before their Friday opening, and when we screened The Prisoner of Second Avenue not one of my coworkers laughed, and we all thought it was shrill and terrible.

Yeah, but I worked theaters in the 80's and you know except for you and management , the staff were kids, 16 and up and "The Prisoner of Second Avenue" was aimed at their parents. But it wasn't that successful either. Wasn't anywhere near the hit "The Odd Couple" & "Barefoot In The Park " were which each broke Radio City Music Hall records.

by Anonymousreply 346September 12, 2019 3:37 PM

R345, he’s hardly in the first play so maybe he can hop over to a rehearsal studio on matinee days.

by Anonymousreply 347September 12, 2019 3:40 PM

R309, Watched a vintage WML? on BUZZR with Maureen Stapleton as the MG.

She mentioned that she would soon be leaving the Broadway cast of Plaza Suite to make the movie "Airport" and then be returning to Plaza Suite.

by Anonymousreply 348September 12, 2019 3:45 PM

Isn't Hickey just repeating his role from London?

by Anonymousreply 349September 12, 2019 3:48 PM

Maureen cuts a rug at 15:00......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350September 12, 2019 3:48 PM

If the staging is the same on Broadway as it was off, some will be lucky enough to see ,not only Paul's ass, but his semi-erect dick as well. But you still have to slog through 2 idiotic hours for the glimpse of peen.

by Anonymousreply 351September 12, 2019 4:11 PM

Paul Nolan gets nearly naked and shows an impressive bulge at 2:25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352September 12, 2019 7:59 PM

Does the pushing of below average looking men ever stop on these threads?

by Anonymousreply 353September 12, 2019 8:01 PM

For real. That guy is butt ugly.

by Anonymousreply 354September 12, 2019 8:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355September 12, 2019 8:41 PM

R353 He's all right, but some of these guys creaming over him must never get to a gym; there are so many better looking guys that can be seen on the floor and naked in the lockers and shower area.

by Anonymousreply 356September 12, 2019 9:59 PM

I didn't know we were casting a strip show, R 356.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357September 12, 2019 11:31 PM

Who saw Starmites?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358September 12, 2019 11:34 PM

Just watch the movie of Plaza Suite. It was dreadful in '71 and I imagine it is today. I assume the director and stars made the original a hit(If you read The Season it comes off like the biggest hit in the history of Broadway with people asking endlessly for impossible to get tickets) but it didn't last very long after they left. I believe both Odd Couple and Barefoot had long original runs.

I think that revival on Broadway of Barefoot I saw years ago with Patrick Wilson did not get literally a single laugh all night. The only rise in the audience was when for some reason Wilson stripped down to his jockey shorts. He even had the elderly straight jewish men murmuring.

by Anonymousreply 359September 13, 2019 12:10 AM

Jeez....the music @ the 3:30 mark in r355 sounds so incredibly dated.

So, in A CHORUS LINE, do the seven dancers who are cut at the beginning just get to go home after the opening number? What a depressing job.

I'm assuming they understudied various roles in the show, so maybe sometimes they got to go on.

by Anonymousreply 360September 13, 2019 12:14 AM

An actor's nightmare must be being trapped in a revival of a Neil Simon play. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 361September 13, 2019 12:14 AM

[quote]Who saw Starmites?

I saw them in my apartment in New Year years ago but had someone come in to spray for them.

by Anonymousreply 362September 13, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote]An actor's nightmare must be being trapped in a revival of a Neil Simon play

... starring Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker

by Anonymousreply 363September 13, 2019 12:29 AM

This once giant of Broadway, I mean in terms of comedy he was the Rodgers and Hammerstein of his time, has a reputation that has gone down like the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 364September 13, 2019 12:36 AM

[quote]An actor's nightmare must be being trapped in a revival of a Neil Simon play

With Elaine Joyce giving notes to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 365September 13, 2019 1:04 AM

It's hard to pick the worst of Mr. Simon's plays

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366September 13, 2019 1:08 AM

[quote]It's hard to pick the worst of Mr. Simon's plays

Don't forget about me!

by Anonymousreply 367September 13, 2019 1:15 AM

Are you sure that trailer doesn't include scenes from The Million Dollar Duck?

by Anonymousreply 368September 13, 2019 1:27 AM

That trailer looks like it included the opening credits to "Love American Style."

by Anonymousreply 369September 13, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote]So, in A CHORUS LINE, do the seven dancers who are cut at the beginning just get to go home after the opening number?

No, they are the first ones onstage for the finale in the gold lame costumes. All the regulars needed time to change into their gold lame costumes so the cut dancers are ready to go and first on the stage. Originally, didn't they do some offstage singing as well? Was the finale done live every night or was it on a click track? It seemed it was very rigorous dancing to be singing.

by Anonymousreply 370September 13, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]r368 Are you sure that trailer doesn't include scenes from The Million Dollar Duck?

Maybe they threw in some outside footage because the movie itself is so lame?

by Anonymousreply 371September 13, 2019 2:02 AM

Which NYC chorus boy has the million dollar dick?

by Anonymousreply 372September 13, 2019 2:07 AM

R366, I saw the national tour in 1968, with George Hamilton, Deana Martin and Jimmy Boyd.

by Anonymousreply 373September 13, 2019 2:12 AM

Connie friggin' Stevens?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374September 13, 2019 2:29 AM

[quote] I assume the director and stars made the original a hit(If you read The Season it comes off like the biggest hit in the history of Broadway with people asking endlessly for impossible to get tickets) but it didn't last very long after they left.

It ran for 2 1/2 years and five different actors succeeded Scott and four different actresses succeeded Stapleton (who also wound up coming back for a stint late in the run) so I guess it ran for a while after the two stars left.

by Anonymousreply 375September 13, 2019 2:53 AM

Didn't you know Connie worked on the legitimate stage?

by Anonymousreply 376September 13, 2019 2:53 AM

On Big Brother tonight Tommy Bracco thanked his “Pretty Woman family” for letting him out to do the TV show. Heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 377September 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Connie Stevens actually seems like better casting than Miss Wheat Thins ... I (mercifully) have never seen the whole thing, but I grasp that the two male characters are supposed to be totally gaga for her.

Who flips for Sandy Duncan?

by Anonymousreply 378September 13, 2019 3:12 AM

[quote]Who flips for Sandy Duncan?

I beg your pardon?

by Anonymousreply 379September 13, 2019 3:15 AM

[quote]I think that revival on Broadway of Barefoot I saw years ago with Patrick Wilson did not get literally a single laugh all night.

Literally not a single laugh? Well wouldn't they have closed in previews or at least opening night instead of playing four months? Literally not a single laugh huh?

by Anonymousreply 380September 13, 2019 3:27 AM

R380, have you no better use for your precious time on this Earth than to deride someone for hyperbole?

by Anonymousreply 381September 13, 2019 3:55 AM

R381 is having NONE OF IT!

by Anonymousreply 382September 13, 2019 4:20 AM

What about The Gingerbread Lady? That's one of my favorite Simon plays and it has a great role for a woman 40-50-ish. It's never been revived, has it?

The only Neil Simon play I truly didn't care for was The Dinner Party. That's pretty lousy. The first act isn't terrible, but the 2nd act becomes like an angrier version of Follies with couples doing nothing but bickering and being assholes to each other.

by Anonymousreply 383September 13, 2019 4:37 AM

I know one very gifted director who somehow accepted a job doing a Neil Simon play, and they had to search for something to love about it. She ended up really respecting the play's structure, if nothing else. (I don't know which one it was.)

His work was always pitched in a very "crowd pleaser" way. Not lowbrow ... but certainly nothing that would ever cause an audience to think, or stretch themselves. (The exception might be THE GOOD DOCTOR, which was inspired by Chekhov pieces.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384September 13, 2019 5:38 AM

Wow, that trailer for “Star Spangled Girl” is deadly. Whoever edited it should be shot.

by Anonymousreply 385September 13, 2019 6:55 AM

“Star Spangled Girl” was Paramount's big Christmas picture in '71 released on December 22.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386September 13, 2019 10:07 AM

I saw Starmites. It really was children's theater. I am sure it is justifiably a hit with high schools, but as a Broadway show, it did not measure up. Sharon McKnight was wonderful, but that all I can say good about it. Victor Garber was fucking the male lead behind his boyfriend's back. That shuffle was probably more interesting than Starmites.

There was a Jim Steinman thread on DL several years ago. Starmites came up because a producer was associated with Jim. The producer was a real creep who apparently enjoyed infecting young boys with HIV. Second hand gossip, but that was what was mentioned in the thread.

by Anonymousreply 387September 13, 2019 12:31 PM

Barefoot had a name cast which is why I went but I really don't remember much laughing if any. And I like the movie a lot. The cast is from heaven and their way with the zingers which come one after the other is wonderful. I wish I went to the original production of Prisoner but it was a hard ticket to get and I was very much into musicals at that point. I didn't think Sunshine Boys was funny but it was a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 388September 13, 2019 1:19 PM

Is Patrick Wilson known for comedy?

by Anonymousreply 389September 13, 2019 1:25 PM

R389, was Robert Redford?

by Anonymousreply 390September 13, 2019 1:28 PM

I'm a little young to answer that. But I think Robert Redford's hair suggests he has a sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 391September 13, 2019 1:37 PM

I'm a little young to answer that. But I think Robert Redford's hair suggests he has a sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 392September 13, 2019 1:37 PM

Tommy Bracco is fucking annoying. That accent and face. Why is he already doing botox and shit? Can you imagine that midget when he's old? haha

by Anonymousreply 393September 13, 2019 1:47 PM

R218 I agree. I couldn't control my laughter during Paul's monologue because the actor was so bad. And Charlotte is terrible. Why is she cast in ANYTHING? Ok dancer. Can't sing for shit. Old. Ugly scary ass face. I'm sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 394September 13, 2019 2:13 PM

I've always thought Garber was solid without being outstanding or especially interesting - but he keeps on working.

by Anonymousreply 395September 13, 2019 2:18 PM

[quote]What about The Gingerbread Lady? That's one of my favorite Simon plays and it has a great role for a woman 40-50-ish. It's never been revived, has it?

"The Gingerbread Lady" was one of Simon's least successful Broadway shows, and its alcoholic main character would work even less well today than back in 1970. There's a reason it's never revived. It was somewhat improved when Simon reworked it as the movie "Only When I Laugh."

by Anonymousreply 396September 13, 2019 2:23 PM

Redford is at his best in light comedy. Barefoot, Butch Cassidy, The Sting...It's when he gets into drama the trouble starts. But his good looks and screen charisma carried him through a lot.

by Anonymousreply 397September 13, 2019 2:53 PM

I saw Neil Simon's "Proposals" on Broadway and I don't remember a thing about it. I think it hit Broadway right after he threw his very public tantrum about Broadway ticket prices and flounced to off-Broadway where London Suite was produced.

If there are zero laughs in a production of "Barefoot In The Park" it's the entire cast's fault. The mother can be very funny when you get a good character actress. I've seen productions where the mother stole the show just with the bit of entering after walking up all the stairs.

I do give Neil Simon a bit of credit because the book for "Sweet Charity" is a bit dark. So he did move slightly away from his usual "bah-da-dum" format.

I also saw The Goodbye Girl on Broadway. Even our Bernadette couldn't save that stinker. It was one of those shows that looked good on paper but the actual production never arrived to the show that was in everyone's head.

Simon was known on Broadway as "the show doctor." It's well documented that he punched up the script of A Chorus Line, but does anyone know what other shows he punched up?

by Anonymousreply 398September 13, 2019 3:09 PM

Michael Bennett wanted Simon to doctor the script for Follies, but Prince and Goldman wouldn’t allow it.

by Anonymousreply 399September 13, 2019 4:08 PM

[quote]Michael Bennett wanted Simon to doctor the script for Follies, but Prince and Goldman wouldn’t allow it.

Sally: Phyllis, I'm running away with your husband.

Phyllis: Husbands are like bras. They need to be washed frequently and discarded when they no longer support you.

Ba-dah-dum

by Anonymousreply 400September 13, 2019 4:28 PM

[quote]I couldn't control my laughter during Paul's monologue because the actor was so bad.

Is that the actor who in the documentary of producing the revival had everyone in the room crying after doing it at his audition?

[quote]If there are zero laughs in a production of "Barefoot In The Park" it's the entire cast's fault. The mother can be very funny when you get a good character actress. I've seen productions where the mother stole the show just with the bit of entering after walking up all the stairs.

The revival's Mother was Jill Clayburgh.

by Anonymousreply 401September 13, 2019 4:41 PM

r399: I heard it was for COMPANY not FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 402September 13, 2019 4:44 PM

Anybody see Sada in Twigs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 13, 2019 5:05 PM

R403, Produced by Roz Russell's widower.

by Anonymousreply 404September 13, 2019 5:46 PM

Would that be the Widower Russell?

by Anonymousreply 405September 13, 2019 5:48 PM

[quote]Produced by Roz Russell's widower.

The Lizard of Roz wasn't yet a widower when "Twigs" premiered in 1971.

by Anonymousreply 406September 13, 2019 5:50 PM

I did the TWIGS tour!

by Anonymousreply 407September 13, 2019 5:53 PM

Frederick Brisson was also the producer of "Coco," which he originally intended as a vehicle for Roz. But her arthritis made it impossible for her to do.

by Anonymousreply 408September 13, 2019 6:00 PM

[quote]Frederick Brisson was also the producer of "Coco," which he originally intended as a vehicle for Roz.

I always wanted Encores to do that show with Dixie Carter. Alas, Judith Daykin, Walter Bobbie, Rob Fisher, et al didn't see the brilliance of my suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 409September 13, 2019 6:05 PM

Dixie Carter was an ensemble player.

by Anonymousreply 410September 13, 2019 6:06 PM

Whatever, R410.

It did not stop Dixie Carter from being splendid in MASTER CLASS.

by Anonymousreply 411September 13, 2019 6:29 PM

[quote]Dixie Carter was an ensemble player.

Miss Dixie Carter could sing, unlike Scotty Bowers' favorite lesbian client who did the role on Broadway.

AND Dixie put out two solo albums. Not bad for an ensemble player!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412September 13, 2019 6:41 PM

It seems that the things that made Coco worth seeing were Hepburn, Rene Auberjonois, Beaton's spectacular costumes and Bennett's exciting staging. None of which any revival will have. We have a taste of it from that Tony clip. And from what I've read the end of the first act was equally spectacular but instead of being all red the costumes were all black.

by Anonymousreply 413September 13, 2019 7:06 PM

" Slave Play" not enjoying a profitable pre-sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414September 13, 2019 7:10 PM

I could see people thinking Follies could benefit from the Simon touch, but I think the zingers that Goldman wrote were pretty terrific by themselves. If anything, the book has been accused to being too quippy at times with characters talking like they're in a 40's noir movie.

Company's book, while structurally odd and lacking any actual plot in the traditional sense, gets more than enough solid laughs if the roles are cast right. I don't think they'd have wanted Simon for that.

by Anonymousreply 415September 13, 2019 7:30 PM

Dixie had a decent voice, but she reminds me of Linda Lavin and Cybill Shepherd as actresses who can technically sing, but they never seemed to know what their sweet spot was.

by Anonymousreply 416September 13, 2019 7:33 PM

From what I remember Simon's jokes in ACL were lame. I guess just better than the others in the show.

by Anonymousreply 417September 13, 2019 7:40 PM

R416, I knew what Linda's sweet spot was.

by Anonymousreply 418September 13, 2019 7:41 PM

Simon's book for Sweet Charity is pretty good, but the ending always caused problems. I swear, every production of that show has a completely different ending. They've never landed on one that everyone likes.

by Anonymousreply 419September 13, 2019 7:49 PM

If he's really dead, Ann's gonna have her hands full on ATC.

by Anonymousreply 420September 13, 2019 7:52 PM

Who? Billy Porter?

by Anonymousreply 421September 13, 2019 7:54 PM

Yup. Wrong thread. Sorry.

I didn't mean to stir them up over here in Crazy Land.

by Anonymousreply 422September 13, 2019 7:57 PM

Yes SC is good.

I think the movie 's ending is very good. And I should have hated it. I mean hippies and 'love'? But the musical underscoring is so gentle and beautiful and MacLaine's reaction to the flower children(Hey it's Bud Cort!) is incredibly moving that for me it works.

by Anonymousreply 423September 13, 2019 7:59 PM

I love Charity's movie ending. It's just bittersweet enough.

by Anonymousreply 424September 13, 2019 8:00 PM

R40&, I have a feeling Roz’s arthritis started playing up after she heard Andre Previn’s dreary score.

by Anonymousreply 425September 13, 2019 8:03 PM

Rosalind Russell, long one of the brightest stars of the American stage and screen, whose witty sophistication as Auntie Mame was a natural extension of Roz, the woman, died yesterday of cancer at her home in Beverly Hills, Calif. The family gave her age as 63.

A spokesman for the family said Miss Russell's husband, the producer Frederick Brisson, and their son, Lance, were with her. He said the actress’ long illness had been complicated by rheumatoid arthritis and that she had been in the hospital three months ago for surgery to replace her right hip joint.

by Anonymousreply 426September 13, 2019 8:09 PM

[Quote] The family gave her age as 63.

Was the report implying she was older than 63?

by Anonymousreply 427September 13, 2019 8:10 PM

When reached for comment, broadway actress Ethel Merman said, "Thank fucking God."

by Anonymousreply 428September 13, 2019 8:13 PM

I imagine Roz would have been as as much like Chanel as Hepburn was. Darieux was a bad choice for a replacement because the theater audience at the time was still a good part NY Jewish and the show had only run for about 8 months. Considering that both Chanel(definitely) and Darieux(strong evidence) were both collaborators it didn't seem like a good pairing of performer and role in terms of PR.

Swanson claims she was supposed to take over but after her opening week launch they were cutting down on the orchestra and chorus so she said no. Don't know why they couldn't get Rogers to take over like they did on the road.

by Anonymousreply 429September 13, 2019 8:23 PM

R401 I really don't remember who the actor was. I just remember it felt very artificial.

by Anonymousreply 430September 13, 2019 8:30 PM

R401 I really don't remember who the actor was. I just remember it felt very artificial.

by Anonymousreply 431September 13, 2019 8:30 PM

Would Rogers have been doing MAME in London at that time?

by Anonymousreply 432September 13, 2019 8:31 PM

I guess I should add this to what I wrote above.

'But her decision to keep working after the Nazis occupied France, and to star in movies made by the studio set up by their propaganda chief Joseph Goebbels, saw her branded as a collaborationist.

However, Darrieux later said that she was forced to take part in a notorious publicity tour to Berlin in 1942 so she could free her husband, the playboy and diplomat Porfirio Rubirosa, who had been interned by the Nazis as a spy.

She left the German-backed studio after he was freed.'

by Anonymousreply 433September 13, 2019 8:36 PM

Was Rogers still doing Mame in '70?

by Anonymousreply 434September 13, 2019 8:38 PM

I bet the Nazis did research on Rubirosa’s massive dick while he was in captivity.

by Anonymousreply 435September 13, 2019 8:55 PM

Doing the Conga eight shows a week will lead to rheumatoid arthritis ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436September 13, 2019 9:36 PM

[quote]From what I remember Simon's jokes in ACL were lame. I guess just better than the others in the show.

" . . . but then I realized to commit suicide in Buffalo is redundant."

by Anonymousreply 437September 13, 2019 10:21 PM

...as lame as I remembered.

by Anonymousreply 438September 13, 2019 10:24 PM

“I assure you this town is teeming with adventurous theater lovers who will find their way to the Golden Theatre while you’re hanging outside the St. James waiting to find out who’s going to replace Carol Channing in ‘Hello, Dolly!’ ”

Only a bitch waiting to find out who's going to replace Carol Channing in Hello Dolly would write that.

by Anonymousreply 439September 13, 2019 10:37 PM

In ACL, was the tit joke between Val and Sheila one of Neil Simon's?

Val: You're all looking at my tits now, aren't you?

Sheila: They're not very big.

Val: I heard that, you bitch. I didn't want them like yours, I wanted them in proportion.

Sheila: Well, you got what you paid for.

Connie: I wouldn't mind having just one of yours!

by Anonymousreply 440September 13, 2019 10:49 PM

Ginger Rogers didn't take over the national tour of Coco. Hepburn did the post-Broadway national company, which played Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, Baltimore, Dallas, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. She agreed to the tour because the show had not made all of its money back on Broadway, and she felt responsibility to get it to "paid off" status for the investors. George Rose and Jeanne Arnold stayed with the show from the Broadway cast, and Daniel Davis took over for Rene Auberjonois.

Ginger Rogers headed a separate tour that was strictly summer stock, in-the-round venues like Westbury, Owings Mills, and Cohasset. It lasted two months, but was not connected to the national tour.

by Anonymousreply 441September 13, 2019 10:54 PM

[quote]Was the report implying she was older than 63?

Probably. And she was. Roz was born in June, 1907, which made her 69 when she died, not 63. I'm sure one of her dying requests was for her husband to shave several years off her age in the obits.

by Anonymousreply 442September 13, 2019 10:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443September 13, 2019 11:10 PM

Ginge....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444September 13, 2019 11:15 PM

The orchestration is wretched but that's the first time I've heard Always Mademoiselle sung. It really is a beautiful song. Too bad she didn't sing it to Kay's orchestration.

by Anonymousreply 445September 13, 2019 11:42 PM

Danielle.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446September 13, 2019 11:57 PM

Danielle looks like Brett Somers in R443.

by Anonymousreply 447September 14, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote]It's well documented that he punched up the script of A Chorus Line, but does anyone know what other shows he punched up?

"Our American Cousin."

by Anonymousreply 448September 14, 2019 12:23 AM

The American musical might never have been born if Neil Simon's gags hadn't saved "The Black Crook" from an early closing.

by Anonymousreply 449September 14, 2019 12:30 AM

Raul Julia documentary is on the PBS station in NY at 9 pm. The guy who did the voice over for the promo should have been informed his first name was pronounced “Rowl” and not the standard “Rah-ool.”

by Anonymousreply 450September 14, 2019 12:42 AM

I hope the RJulia doc has a long segment on Threepenny Opera. That production was fantastic, the only one I've seen that I thought worked. Plus, Ellen Greene!

by Anonymousreply 451September 14, 2019 12:51 AM

This thread needs some Monique Van Vooren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452September 14, 2019 1:12 AM

That Threepenny was great. I feel like I never want to see another production because it couldn't come close.

by Anonymousreply 453September 14, 2019 1:21 AM

This website says that Lotte Lenya didn't like the Raul Julia production. Do you think it was because she knew Ellen Greene sung the score better than Lenya ever could?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 14, 2019 1:56 AM

[quote]Do you think it was because she knew Ellen Greene sung the score better than Lenya ever could?

No, but it might be because she knew Ellen Greene SANG the score better than Lenya ever could.

by Anonymousreply 455September 14, 2019 2:15 AM

I think Lenya felt the same way as I did about that production. I hated the translation. None of the lyrics fit the music. The Blitzstein version may have been a bit old fashioned by then, but it was pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 456September 14, 2019 2:21 AM

Agreed about the awful lyrics for the NY Shakespeare Festival production.

by Anonymousreply 457September 14, 2019 2:52 AM

R456 is a shit pot.

by Anonymousreply 458September 14, 2019 4:18 AM

R430-the creepy actor who played Paul in the revival of ACL was Jason Tam, late of BE MORE CHILL. And yes, he was better at the audition than in the actual crappy revival.

by Anonymousreply 459September 14, 2019 4:53 AM

Michael Berresse and Tony Yazbeck were also in the ACL revival.

So weird that it ran for almost 2 years: I know almost no one who saw it, and it feels like no one even remembered that it happened. Zero impact.

by Anonymousreply 460September 14, 2019 4:59 AM

DL fave Ashley Day just posted a pic on Fire Island with a guy looking at him - you only see the guy from the back - and it says "Throwback to sunnier days."

Is the guy Robbie Fairchild? I can't tell, but it would certainly make the "sunnier days" reference make sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461September 14, 2019 8:46 AM

R451. That is probably my favorite English language recording. I gather the Weill estate hated the translation, and will not allow i to be produced.

by Anonymousreply 462September 14, 2019 11:19 AM

Did anyone see the Berliner Ensemble/Robert Wilson version of TPO? The short videos on Youtube make it look wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 463September 14, 2019 11:28 AM

After three months, I am able to post again. Who knew we had to register to have such a privilege?

by Anonymousreply 464September 14, 2019 12:26 PM

WTF, are they really selling tix to Music Man (giant gatefold ad in NY Times today) a year before opening without a theater yet? Are people going to pay big bucks for unknown seats? To hear “My White Knight” transposed down an octave?

by Anonymousreply 465September 14, 2019 12:27 PM

Who knew, R454? Everyone here posting knew.

You are slow to the game, but welcome anyway.

by Anonymousreply 466September 14, 2019 12:28 PM

R456, if you listen to German recordings you will see that the German lyrics do not fit either. They are irregular, with some lines having more syllable than fit the music.

If you compare Theepenny to Happy End or Mahagonny, you can tell that the German lyrics are deliberate written to be hard to sing. Other Brecht-Weill works feature easier to sing sounds but Threepenny is designed to thwart the vocal ease that lyrics usually strive for.

The only translation that tried to duplicate this strategy is the Manheim-Willet used in that production. It is also the only one that matches exactly the meter and syllable count of each and every line.

by Anonymousreply 467September 14, 2019 1:32 PM

[quote]but Threepenny is designed to thwart the vocal ease that lyrics usually strive for.

Why was that done? To make the audience feel uneasy?

by Anonymousreply 468September 14, 2019 2:13 PM

That does appear to be Robbie, R461.

by Anonymousreply 469September 14, 2019 2:28 PM

R468 -Alienation effect, also called a-effect or distancing effect, German Verfremdungseffekt or V-effekt, idea central to the dramatic theory of the German dramatist-director Bertolt Brecht. It involves the use of techniques designed to distance the audience from emotional involvement in the play through jolting reminders of the artificiality of the theatrical performance.

by Anonymousreply 470September 14, 2019 2:37 PM

r470, so if the idea is to distance the audience from emotional involvement, what is the point? Is the audience supposed to be learning something from this piece? Is the idea that if we remove emotional involvement we can more clearly see things or have better thought process? What is the idea behind doing this?

by Anonymousreply 471September 14, 2019 3:00 PM

R461-"Put a ring on it, BITCH", sayeth Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 472September 14, 2019 3:00 PM

The discussion at R470/R471 reminds me why so many of us in musical theatre love TPO (or at least in a good translation and production) but don't really like Brecht very much. Sondheim famously said as much around the time of SWEENEY TODD after it was described as "Brechtian" for the umpteenth time. Not his thing, either.

I am all about emotional involvement in the musical story.

by Anonymousreply 473September 14, 2019 4:51 PM

The alienation effect is not meant to "emotionally distance the audience" even though that is often said. It is to have a different kind of emotional involvement.

Just like when you watch a football game you are emotionally involved, but you do not identify with the players. You cheer, you boo---but you do not feel the pain of the tackle. Or like at the circus where you are emotionally involved with the event, but you do not imagine what it would like to do the feats they do.

Brecht loved Ethel Merman. He wanted her to play Mother Courage. I think what he liked was that she could emotionally engage an audience without having them identify with her. (Gypsy took great advantage of this same quality.)

That said, I do not think that this has anything to do with the lyrics in 3PO. (I do not think Brecht had actually even formulated this idea when 3PO was written)

Reading Brecht he seemed to want a more actorly kind of singing. One where the transition from speaking to singing would be a clear break rather than a smooth transition.

Happy End and Mahagonny are different. The lyrics are more "sing-friendly" You can easily slide into Surrabay Johnny in a way that you cannot do with the Barbara Song.

by Anonymousreply 474September 14, 2019 5:46 PM

[quote] I am all about emotional involvement in the musical story.

Isn't that really the point of music? To pull you in emotionally?

Going back to the Sondheim and Jerry Herman Tony Awards argument. Jerry's music was always relatable and was a part of Broadway's Golden Age. You immediately see the emotional involvement of his songs. "If He Walked Into My Life" "We Need A Little Christmas" "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" "It Only Takes A Moment" have immediate emotional pulls.

Sondheim was always considered more intellectual and had less immediate emotional attachment. It was said that his songs weren't "hummable" and people were frustrated because they didn't leave the theater "with a song on their lips." So it seemed that Sondheim leaned more towards the Brecht viewpoint. But also seems to have set the tone for current Broadway writers.

I think one reason juke box musicals are more successful is because people have an emotional attachment to that music. Yes, ABBA music may be corny, but people respond emotionally to "Dancing Queen" and "The Winner Takes It All."

by Anonymousreply 475September 14, 2019 5:49 PM

Brecht was often overtly melodramatic. The suspense of the chase in Chalk Circle or the terror of Katrin trying to save the children by drumming a warning to the town---how do those people who claim Brecht was against emotional involvement explain that?

Today we are so used to Brechtian involvment, that it seems old hat. Sweeney Todd is Brechtian in that you feel for the story more than individual characters. (No one cries for Sweeney when he learns the Beggar's identity. But you feel the emptiness of violence and the self-defeating nature of revenge.)

by Anonymousreply 476September 14, 2019 5:52 PM

And not to get too lecturey, but Brecht loved Annie Get Your Gun when he saw it on Broadway.

Like Brechts work it invited you to appreciate the virtuosity of the performers. You knew from the start how the story was going to end (ie. you knew Annie would end up with Frank), but were asked to enjoy how it got there.

Hello Dolly with Bette was really Brechtian. You knew she would end up with Horace and the guys would end up with the girls. You never for a moment "believed" anything that was going on, but enjoyed following it. Bette and all the actors were always slightly outside their parts commenting on what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 477September 14, 2019 5:59 PM

[quote]Today we are so used to Brechtian involvment, that it seems old hat. Sweeney Todd is Brechtian in that you feel for the story more than individual characters.

Some said Sondheim was trying to do that with Company.

by Anonymousreply 478September 14, 2019 5:59 PM

Would "Our Town" be considered Brechtian? Or does the sentimentality of small town life get in the way? If the characters in Our Town lived in a big city, would we care as much?

by Anonymousreply 479September 14, 2019 6:02 PM

I think people younger people respond more readily to Sondheim's sense of alienation and cynicism. Which is why he is so influential. Also simply because it is easier to approximate a Sondheim melody than a Rodgers, Loewe, Cole Porter, Arlen or even Jerry Herman tune. He's not even that good at pastiche the way Jule Styne or Cole Porter were. For some reason people have lost the talent for rich soaring sophisticated melodies. Of course people will tell me the scores of Hamilton or Frozen or Wicked are just as good as anything from the pianos of the aforementioned men so there will be disagreement.

Also Foreman's directorial use of alienation was so brilliant it was chilling and emotional in a way you didn't expect.

by Anonymousreply 480September 14, 2019 6:11 PM

If you think that "Our Town" is awash in sentimentality, R479, then you really don't know or understand the play at all.

by Anonymousreply 481September 14, 2019 6:12 PM

Our Town brilliantly has it both ways. It is as filled with sentiment and nostalgia as it is filled with coldness and unsparing devastation. Throughout there is an amazing balance.

by Anonymousreply 482September 14, 2019 6:17 PM

There's always something odd about a production of Sweeney Todd or Gypsy where the actors seem to be trying so hard to get you to fall in love with Sweeney, Mrs. Lovett, or Rose. Those productions never quite work for me, because they take the edge off. I like the ones where they don't try to sweeten them up and make them sentimental and just let them be monstrous. Those shows work best with that Brechtian quality of keeping us at a distance.

by Anonymousreply 483September 14, 2019 6:19 PM

They can't just be monstrous. The comedy wouldn't work throughout.

by Anonymousreply 484September 14, 2019 6:21 PM

Our Town was heavily influenced by Russian theater of the 20s. This is the same work that influence Brecht.

So Brecht's work and Our Town are like cousins descended from the same grandparent.

by Anonymousreply 485September 14, 2019 6:21 PM

Stella Adler told our acting class about her one attempt to work with Brecht. The character she was to play was a mother of a baby. She was given a life size baby doll to work with. On her first day of rehearsal, they began the scene. Stella said she held the baby close to her, as a mother would. Tenderly. Protectively. Brecht told her to show the audience the baby. Keeping it close to her body, she carefully lifted the baby a bit for the audience to see.

Brecht screamed at her, "NO! Not like that!" He stomped up to her, grabbed the baby by the throat, thrust it directly out at the audience for them all to see. "Do it just like that."

Stella told him she couldn't work with him and left.

Therein, you will find the essence of the Brechtian point of view.

by Anonymousreply 486September 14, 2019 6:26 PM

R484 gets Brecht!

Nothing can be one sided. The sentimental approach is to make every character all good or all bad. In Brecht, you show multiple sides of a person. Mother Courage is loving and indifferent to her children. She is not all monster and Kattrin is not all saint.

It is hitting me how Gypsy may be the most Brechtian of all musicals. Brecht based characters on the choices they made. Nothing was inevitable like in traditional Aristotelian drama. Gypsy keeps focusing on moment of decision--stealling the plaque, rejecting Herbie's offer, etc. The play includes a lot of extraneous stuff that is only there to show the kind of moral choices characters make (like Mr. Goldstone or even All I Need Is the Girl.)

Brecht said the American musical was a lot like his theater. And I guess it is true.

by Anonymousreply 487September 14, 2019 6:28 PM

R484, tell that to Betty Buckley when she played Rose.

I think acting styles have changed so much in the past 50/60 years. You're not allowed to play a monster anymore even if that approach will best serve the story. Every actor and director thinks they're an amateur psychologist and must show the good in all characters and sand down rough edges.

by Anonymousreply 488September 14, 2019 6:28 PM

Except Stella never worked with Brecht. She probably never even met him.

by Anonymousreply 489September 14, 2019 6:30 PM

Never believe that what actresses tell you is factually correct. Never. But the story tells the listener a lot about Stella's approach to a script and about Brecht's.

And how the hell would anyone know if she ever tried, unsuccessfully, to work with Brecht? She worked with Stanislavski and that's far more improbable than working with Brecht.

by Anonymousreply 490September 14, 2019 6:33 PM

[quote]"Slave Play" not enjoying a profitable pre-sale.

I'd see it if I lived in New York. Jimmy is dreamy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491September 14, 2019 6:33 PM

How would they know? Because there are records of where these people were and what they worked on--even if it was abandoned or they were fired. Letters, conversations, diaries also support it.

Brecht never directed in the US. Stella never acted in a German stage production. The incident she describes is not consistent with his practice as it has been described by himself and others.

Stella's work with Stanislavsky is documented. She wrote and talked of it at the time. They were both in Paris. What she said he taught her is consistent with his ideas in the 1930s.

by Anonymousreply 492September 14, 2019 6:42 PM

Betty Buckley was rather drab as Rose. I wouldn't sum up her characterisation as monstrous. She only really came alive for the diva numbers.

by Anonymousreply 493September 14, 2019 6:53 PM

Betty definitely wasn't monstrous. She was cold as ice and didn't connect to anyone on stage or in the audience. I'm not sure if it was a concept she was going for or what, but it made her Rose seems Autistic or something.

by Anonymousreply 494September 14, 2019 7:13 PM

STELL-UHHHH!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495September 14, 2019 7:13 PM

We enjoyed our work with Brecht. He totally got us and our vibe, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 496September 14, 2019 9:22 PM

Marion Cotillard is "Coco" 16 weeks only! Shubert Theatre 20-- (fill in the blank) OK? Get it done or must I do everything?

by Anonymousreply 497September 14, 2019 9:41 PM

Coco is still an iffy musical with an iffy score, r497. Cotillard could certainly sell out a couple of months, I don’t know about 16 weeks. And she can sing, not as well as Darrieux but far better than Hepburn or Rogers. A better goal is Encores. It would be a coup if they got her, and for only a two-week commitment, maybe she’d do it. And it would fare better with the critics in such a scenario, too.

by Anonymousreply 498September 15, 2019 2:18 AM

Tonight’s Slave Play curtain held 15 minutes so Rihanna and her entourage could arrive late for her 4th row orchestra seats. Bitch, the rest of managed to arrive on time!

by Anonymousreply 499September 15, 2019 2:52 AM

R499 How was the polemic? Are you turnt now?

by Anonymousreply 500September 15, 2019 3:05 AM

At least Ri-Ri supports live theatre.

I wonder what her favorite number in FOLLIES is.

by Anonymousreply 501September 15, 2019 3:10 AM

The Raul Julia Documentary is good, apart from his 'Impossible Dream', which they play twice and it gets no better.

BUT the footage of Raul and Meryl doing Taming of the Shrew is fucking incredible, wish the lazy thing did nore stage work. Why did she stop?

by Anonymousreply 502September 15, 2019 10:08 AM

What did they say he died of?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503September 15, 2019 11:00 AM

Apparently Ri-Ri was texting every 5 minutes or so during the play.

by Anonymousreply 504September 15, 2019 12:42 PM

If you saw this mess, you'd be texting too.

by Anonymousreply 505September 15, 2019 12:48 PM

r502 - Here's Part 1 of Kiss Me, Petruchio......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506September 15, 2019 1:34 PM

R503, He was battling stomach cancer, but his cause of death was a stroke at 54.

by Anonymousreply 507September 15, 2019 3:36 PM

I loved the clip of his first film appearance where he played a Cuban Jew.

Man, his rendition of “The Impossible Dream” was bad. He did have a wobbly voice at the best of times.

by Anonymousreply 508September 15, 2019 3:56 PM

R502, I've often asked why Meryl doesn't do more live theatre. She did that MOTHER COURAGE in Central Park in 2006 (that only corporate sponsors seemed to be able to get tickets to), but that lasted one month. And she did some one-night reading of ROMEO & JULIET with Kevin Kline, I think (hilarious, as they're playing teenage lovers).

She's 70 now. It's never too late, but I'm not seeing her taking on 8 shows a week (or even 6) any time in the near future. Her film career has had its ups and downs: I only wish she had returned to theatre in her 40s/50s, when there were so many roles she could have done so beautifully.

SIgh.

by Anonymousreply 509September 15, 2019 3:57 PM

She's 70? Well, she's much too old to play Mama Rose.

by Anonymousreply 510September 15, 2019 4:24 PM

Wow, Streep is fantastic in that documentary. I've always assumed that she didn't play comedy until late in her career. I always think of her early career as a series of overly dramatic serious roles. She really is extraordinary. It would be nice to see her play Mdm Armfeldt in a limited run some time?

by Anonymousreply 511September 15, 2019 5:02 PM

R508-Raul was already battling stomach cancer during the run of Man Of LaMancha. How are you supposed to sing anything when your diaphragm is fucked up?

You fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 512September 15, 2019 6:02 PM

R512 -- Why on earth would you curse R512? if Julia was incapable of singing an iconic song in a high-profile production, he should not have taken the part, and he should not have been hired.

by Anonymousreply 513September 15, 2019 6:24 PM

R513 speaks the truth. The legit vocal requirements of Cervantes/Don Quixote in "La Mancha" are part and parcel of the role. Just being able to act it doesn't cut it.

by Anonymousreply 514September 15, 2019 6:45 PM

Meryl on Broadway 1976

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515September 15, 2019 7:10 PM

Meryl on Broadway 1977

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516September 15, 2019 7:10 PM

I wonder what Meryl might have done playing Pirate Jenny in TPO, back in her youth.

by Anonymousreply 517September 15, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote]And the next revival of A CHORUS LINE will be set present-day: onstage, but as a reality TV competition to win parts in a Broadway show. It will feature giant video screens and live social media broadcasting from the audience

Srsly? Can't wait to see that one preview performance with a 12yo sitting in a back tweeting "THIS GAY SHIT SUX" over and over onto their display screens.

by Anonymousreply 518September 15, 2019 7:24 PM

Another revival of VIRGINIA WOOLF?? Enough!

Rupert Everett as George - ugh. Laurie Metcalf as Martha might work.

by Anonymousreply 519September 15, 2019 7:31 PM

Hopefully she'll model her performance on Francine's, r519.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520September 15, 2019 7:58 PM

Raul Julia never had a very good singing voice. On the lovely “Only With You” on the OBC of Nine he’s flat several times. His voice was shaky. He was able to act the songs brilliantly, at least.

by Anonymousreply 521September 15, 2019 8:09 PM

Wasn't it the reverse with Franchi, r521?

by Anonymousreply 522September 15, 2019 8:15 PM

I didn't appreciate how good Julia was in NINE until I saw the revivial. Mostly I remember how horrible he sounded. The OBC recording makes him sound pretty good, but in the theater he could barely sing it at all. But otherwise, he was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 523September 15, 2019 8:23 PM

[quote] I wonder what Meryl might have done playing Pirate Jenny in TPO, back in her youth.

The part to play is Polly, not Jenny- unless you are Lotte Lenya stealing all of the good songs. Pirate Jenny only makes sense if Polly sings it at the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 524September 15, 2019 8:57 PM

Phyllis Newman has died, according to ATC and Facebook. Amanda Green posted.

Guess we'll have to make do without her, from now on.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 525September 15, 2019 9:48 PM

Shoo-In.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526September 15, 2019 10:03 PM

Phyllis Newman hasn't died. She "passed away."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527September 15, 2019 10:08 PM

Phyllis Newman and Jerry Herman were childhood friends.

by Anonymousreply 528September 15, 2019 10:31 PM

Jerry's a couple of years older than Phyllis. I wonder how he's doing now? He wasn't well enough to travel to NYC to see Bette's "Dolly," and supposedly he's just sticking around home (in Florida). I wonder if his mind is still active or if he is "in his dotage"?

by Anonymousreply 529September 15, 2019 10:49 PM

I preferred the revival of NINE. The original was dazzling to watch but ice cold. Plus I never cared much for Karen Akers and her machine-gun vibrato.

The revival felt like it was about human beings, and whatever his occasional vocal shortcomings, Banderas sang much better than Julia, who jut barked the songs. Mary Stuart Masterson was far better than the too-brittle Akers. I would say that Chita, with her exaggerated rolled "R"s, and Jane Krakowski were not as good as Montevecchi or Morris.

by Anonymousreply 530September 15, 2019 10:57 PM

Mary Stuart Masterson found all sorts of colors in Luisa that Karen Akers just didn't have the acting depth to find.

by Anonymousreply 531September 15, 2019 11:03 PM

Meryl Streep in "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds" 16 weeks only! Shubert Theatre 20-- (fill in the blank) OK? Get it done or must I do everything?

by Anonymousreply 532September 15, 2019 11:33 PM

Mary Stuart Masterson was fantastic in Nine. Does anyone know why she doesn't work much? Is it by choice, or is she difficult to cast and work with? I've always enjoyed working with her, and would love to see her onstage again.

by Anonymousreply 533September 15, 2019 11:36 PM

You must do e v e r y t h i n g R532.

by Anonymousreply 534September 15, 2019 11:36 PM

M&G in Arsenic and Old Lace

by Anonymousreply 535September 15, 2019 11:48 PM

Is it true that Phyllis used to sprinkle some of this into her douche?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536September 16, 2019 1:07 AM

On the thread where it was first announced, I was the first to say that Charlotte would be Cassie but no one agreed. She was great in Chicago. Lithe and stunning in Song and Dance. But I sure was disappointed with her Cassie. They pushed her too hard to "act" and "sing" instead of letting her find it herself, which I've seen her do. Baayork is to blame. She can stage the show but not direct actors - at all.

by Anonymousreply 537September 16, 2019 1:46 AM

They should have changed the Music and the Mirror choreography for her too. She looked terrible doing it.

by Anonymousreply 538September 16, 2019 1:49 AM

Yeah you're right. I just watched it on youtube a couple of weeks ago. Her arms were all over the place and the sl to sr doubles were late and ungraceful.

by Anonymousreply 539September 16, 2019 1:55 AM

Someone on DL mentioned Newman's memoir "Just in Time" (1988) and I read it last year. The best part is about her childhood in Atlantic City , where she performed as Baby Phyllis and her mom read fortunes. She was really rooted in show biz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540September 16, 2019 2:12 AM

Julius LaRosa and Phyllis Newman sing "A Casual Affair" from the 1958 movie "Let's Rock."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541September 16, 2019 2:53 AM

r541 SAD!

by Anonymousreply 542September 16, 2019 4:09 AM

So Jeremy Harris has stirred up a Twitter controversy (perhaps to provoke or perhaps because he’s an idiot—I suspect the latter) by holding the curtain of his play 15 minutes for Rihanna and happily responding to her texts she sent during the play.

“Jeremy O. Harris. @jeremyoharris: Two things I learned today about the Type of theatre maker I am:

When my idol texts that she’s running late. I hold the curtain for her.

When my idol texts me during a play I’ve written, I respond.

by Anonymousreply 543September 16, 2019 9:07 AM

I'm sure the texts were more interesting than that piece of shit he wrote.

by Anonymousreply 544September 16, 2019 12:00 PM

R543. Maybe I don't understand the texts. Why are they causing controversy? She thanked him for holding the curtain, and he is said that he responded to a text that she sent during the performance. She could have been in the rest room when she sent the text for all we know, and didn't disrupt the performance with her phone. If his tweets are as badly written and pointless as his play, NY theater is in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 545September 16, 2019 2:03 PM

R545 it’s a one act play so they were texting each other during the show. He thinks that’s fine. He also thinks it’s fine to keep 900 or so people waiting because a celebrity pal is running late. Both actions strike a lot of people as unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 546September 16, 2019 2:31 PM

In other words, the type of "theater maker" he is is self-indulgent and more concerned with his own needs over the needs of the audience.

by Anonymousreply 547September 16, 2019 4:08 PM

No one in their right mind would touch EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS... It's one of the worst plays to win a Pulitzer I can think of.

Joanne Woodward couldn't make it work (albeit on film) so I wouldn't assume Streep could either. Besides, Streep is at least 20 years too old to play Betty.

by Anonymousreply 548September 16, 2019 6:35 PM

That's Ms. Hunsdorfer to you, r548.

by Anonymousreply 549September 16, 2019 6:44 PM

Where is Carol Burnett's TWIGS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550September 16, 2019 6:46 PM

Wow, good find, r550. I had no idea she had done a TV movie of Twigs.

by Anonymousreply 551September 16, 2019 7:52 PM

The NY Times wasn't too impressed with Burnett's "Twigs," and says that Burnett was "adequate, but not, however, very impressive or convincing."

It ran opposite the Laurence Olivier-Kate Hepburn "Love Among the Ruins," so I guess that's why it sank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552September 16, 2019 7:58 PM

One of the greatest performanes I ever saw: Sada Thompson in ...Man in the Moon Marigolds. And I'm sure she was just as good in Twigs.

by Anonymousreply 553September 16, 2019 8:05 PM

I agree about Man in the Moon Marigolds. I only saw the movie, but it was pretty bad. It did have a nice bit with Judith Lowry, Phyllis' Mother Dexter, though.

by Anonymousreply 554September 16, 2019 8:11 PM

I don't remember realizing that at the time, r552. I watched TWIGS.

by Anonymousreply 555September 16, 2019 8:51 PM

Swoosie started out as Janice Vickery. Through the run she also played Ruth and Tillie.

by Anonymousreply 556September 16, 2019 9:05 PM

"The gun was in my hand. I don't know what I did next....it's just a blur."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557September 16, 2019 9:56 PM

Hal Linden!

Ken Page!

Cathy Rigby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558September 16, 2019 10:21 PM

I never miss a Cathy Rigby musical. Actually, I saw her in "Peter Pan" some years ago and she was really very good.

by Anonymousreply 559September 16, 2019 10:23 PM

Is one of the grumpy old men a big caftan queen? I can’t imagine Ken Page playing it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 560September 17, 2019 4:27 AM

I honestly thought Hal Linden had died.

by Anonymousreply 561September 17, 2019 4:48 AM

R561 Me too. I guess he's the new Abe Vigoda.

by Anonymousreply 562September 17, 2019 4:50 AM

R560, Who is Ken Page's understudy, Rip Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 563September 17, 2019 4:51 AM

[quote]Streep is at least 20 years too old to play Betty

She's an actress, she'll act young.

Doesn't Rigby own the LA Mirada where she first did "Peter Pan"?

by Anonymousreply 564September 17, 2019 9:18 AM

cr:pp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565September 17, 2019 2:04 PM

Remember, there's a new thread (#368) already started, hovering in the wings like a dewy understudy ready to go on...

AND LIGHT UP THE SKY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566September 17, 2019 2:38 PM

r564 She and her husband own McCoy-Rigby Entertainment, which does its shows at the La Mirada theater, but the theater itself is owned by the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567September 17, 2019 2:47 PM

Wait a minute, we are only up to r567 here. Fuck r566 and the horse she road in on.

by Anonymousreply 568September 17, 2019 7:12 PM

Will Broadway dim for Phyllis Newman?

by Anonymousreply 569September 17, 2019 7:23 PM

[quote]Will Broadway dim for Phyllis Newman?

She was in "Subways Are for Sleeping"! So I'm guessing not.

by Anonymousreply 570September 17, 2019 7:25 PM

Ah, but there's the Phyllis Newman Health Foundation, which is referenced twice a year in the BC/EFA as part of their fundraising drive. And inspires its own annual gala. Plus she was royalty-by-marriage via Adolph Green. I'm guessing yes.

by Anonymousreply 571September 17, 2019 7:45 PM

I keep reading about threads being “locked,” which allegedly includes this one. What does that mean? Only paying customers are allowed to post in a locked thread?

by Anonymousreply 572September 17, 2019 8:12 PM

And, her daughter Amanda Green is very active on the current Broadway scene.

Phyllis also received a second Tony Award recently for her humanitarian work.

by Anonymousreply 573September 17, 2019 8:16 PM

Yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574September 17, 2019 8:16 PM

R572 If you subscribe, this is not a problem, as we are so never see it, but apparently yes, popular threads become subscriber only and people, who say hilarious shit like, "Datalounge should pay me for the amazing content I supply', refuse to pay the pittance and set up threads with bizarre obtuse titles, or, in the case of these threads, set the next one up earlier than needed to say 2.00 a month

They are poverty threads

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575September 17, 2019 8:31 PM

I think I was on DL about a year before I subscribed and it's totally worth it. It really is a pittance, r575.

by Anonymousreply 576September 17, 2019 8:36 PM

Just trying to help with the assisted suicide of this dying thread...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577September 18, 2019 12:02 AM

Oh....let's see......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578September 18, 2019 12:21 AM

Being from NY even as a kid I thought Phyllis Newman was considered Theater Royalty not just for her stage work but her long time marriage with Adolph Green.

by Anonymousreply 579September 18, 2019 12:53 AM

Broadway is dimming its lights for this stage manager, so maybe Phyllis Newman will be honored, as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580September 18, 2019 12:58 AM

R580 Indeed, who did he blow

by Anonymousreply 581September 18, 2019 1:00 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582September 18, 2019 1:03 AM

Received a message from American Express, allowing me to purchase tickets for Plaza Suite with Matthew and SJP in Boston this February.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583September 18, 2019 4:46 AM

How can you resist, r583?

by Anonymousreply 584September 18, 2019 6:14 AM

I imagine it will go something like this.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585September 18, 2019 1:51 PM

If Walter Matthew couldn't make the movie work, how the hell will Matthew Broderick? That monotone, whiny, little voice for 2 hours onstage with Mister Ed.

by Anonymousreply 586September 18, 2019 3:33 PM

Of course there's.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587September 18, 2019 3:50 PM

[QUOTE] jerry's a couple of years older than Phyllis. I wonder how he's doing now? He wasn't well enough to travel to NYC to see Bette's "Dolly," and supposedly he's just sticking around home (in Florida). I wonder if his mind is still active or if he is "in his dotage"?

Obviously he isn't well. If he was well he would definitely have been at the Dolly revival. It was a majorly successful revival of his signature play. I wonder if he or Channing attended in secrecy.

by Anonymousreply 588September 18, 2019 6:17 PM

So a playwright has the ability to hold a curtain?

by Anonymousreply 589September 18, 2019 6:18 PM

Did Betty Hutton ever do Dolly?

by Anonymousreply 590September 18, 2019 6:29 PM

[quote]So a playwright has the ability to hold a curtain?

Only if he twirls while holding it.

by Anonymousreply 591September 18, 2019 6:40 PM

r590: Hutton never did DOLLY. Her later Broadway work was replacing Carol Burnett in FADE OUT, FADE IN and briefly replacing Dorothy Loudon in ANNIE. By most reports Hutton was not good in either.

by Anonymousreply 592September 18, 2019 7:12 PM

That's sad about Arthur Gaffin. He was adorable and had a sweet face. He seems to have been genuinely beloved by the people he worked with.

Nothing about the cause if death or if he had a partner.

by Anonymousreply 593September 18, 2019 7:21 PM

I didn't mean on Broadway, r592. I know she did Rose in stock (with little Bernadette as Hollywood Blonde #whatever).

by Anonymousreply 594September 18, 2019 7:26 PM

I'll bet they managed to get Jerry a copy of the archival taping of Dolly. He's a great theatre composer-lyricist too old and too ill to travel to see a major hit revival of his first huge hit show. I'm sure whoever had to sign off on it did so.

by Anonymousreply 595September 18, 2019 8:53 PM

I sure hope that Rhianna remembers this playwright because his play is crashing.

by Anonymousreply 596September 18, 2019 9:06 PM

r590: Sorry about that: I wondered to0 about Hutton in stock DOLLY and could not find anything.

But I stumbled across this and I'm not sure it has ever been posted here before: Carol Channing doing a very evil takeoff of (mostly) Betty Hutton at the Palace....with a bit of Judy at the end. Channing doesn't perform any of Hutton's or Garlands songs - It's pretty brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597September 18, 2019 9:34 PM

Such a humongously limited talent.

by Anonymousreply 598September 18, 2019 9:43 PM

Farewell.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599September 18, 2019 11:20 PM

.....and Bajour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 18, 2019 11:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!