Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gap In-Store Playlists - One Final Plea

Rejoice! I am very thankful for all of the help in recovering my Gap Playlists collection that I have received thanks to my threads here at the DataLounge the last three years. All of the sources that have helped me recover over 100 of the Gap Playlists from 1992 to 2006 that I used to have (and lost) have contacted me because of my threads here at the DL.

So, the DL has helped me immeasurably and I am greatly appreciative to everyone out there.

While I still have dozens more playlists that I need to complete my collection from 1992 to 2006, I think it is time for me to end my daily presence here. There are a few posters who make it their mission to grey-out my threads as soon as I post them. This then deletes the link to my blog, which defeats some of the purpose. So, it's probably best to make one final call for help and then leave y'all alone.

I would hope that most people would realize I was playing a character, someone popping into threads to make the topic connected to Gap Playlists somehow, in order to publicize my quest. I thought it would be fun to play it a little ditzy but I guess it made some people irked even more.

I will post through the weekend and then I will cease my activity here.

So, PLEASE, if you worked at Gap from 1992 to 2006 and you saved the paper playlist inserts that came with each month's CD or tape, won't you share them with me? I have people messaging me every day who are thrilled to be reunited with their old favorite songs from when they worked at Gap once they discover the blog.

If you have any Gap In-Store Playlists from 1992 to 2006 (or any other years), please contact me at the email address on the blog. Thanks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 20, 2019 6:44 PM

(Historical information from the blog)

One of the greatest benefits of being employed by Gap from 1992 to 2006 was the excellent and varied selection of music played in stores. Each month, Gap locations would receive the current 4-hour tape or CD to play throughout the month. Music often went along with the seasons and clothing collections.

During my time with Gap, I collected the monthly in-store playlists that would come with each tape or CD, so that I could know the artists and songs playing. These were paper inserts that arrived with the tapes/CDs and contained the names of the artists, the song titles, and even the specific mixes. I really enjoyed trying to recreate the Gap in-store playlists for each month from those years. When I still had the paper playlists for almost every month, I slowly took my time buying songs and CDs here and there, gradually making playlists on my computer.

However, in a move in 2006, I lost the box which contained the dozens of Gap in-store playlists, which was very disappointing. In 2010, I luckily found copies of almost twenty duplicates that I had saved, so I was able to restart from there, and those actual playlists can be seen in several months on here from 1999 to 2005.

Because of this site, in February 2017, I was fortunate to meet another former Gap Employee who has shared almost three dozen playlists from 1993 to 2000 so far, which has been incredibly helpful. In October 2017, a different former Gap Employee generously shared with me two dozen playlists from 2000 to 2003 for Gap, GapBody, GapKids and babyGap. However, dozens more playlists are still needed.

My main goal with this site is to be able to hopefully reach out to others who have also saved the Gap In-Store Playlists from June 1992 to February 2006 and that they will share them with me. While I have partially reconstructed many months' playlists from memory, I would love to have copies/scans of the actual full In-Store Playlists for each month.

The larger goal with this site is to celebrate the phenomenon that was the Gap from those years, throughout the clothing, commercials, music, and overall cultural impact.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you have any Gap In-Store Playlists from 1992 to 2006, please contact me at the email address on the blog:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2019 12:16 AM

your 15 minutes are up!

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2019 12:18 AM

While I have pieced together several partial playlists from memory from June through December 1992, it is my greatest wish to actually have these full playlists again. I want to know again all of the songs from those special playlists form when I first started at Gap in 1992.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2019 12:18 AM

Don't let a few assholes make you leave, OP! I like your posts.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2019 12:19 AM

How could ANYONE be mean to the Gap Playlists guy! I personally think you are adorable and I wish I had some playlists to give you. I think you’re smart and witty and will truly miss you!

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2019 12:20 AM

You seem cool. Screw the haters. Your posts are certainly better than the nonstop royal family, Richard Madden, etc. threads

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2019 12:21 AM

It is best to leave for now and maybe come back in a year or two when I'm not on someone's constant radar to FF the Hell out of me.

I have only two Gap In-Store Playlists from 1993. Like 1992, this was a golden time for me - and the music was SO good! I'm just glad that my source had two from 1993. But maybe someone out there has more???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2019 12:22 AM

I don't get it, R5. Gap guy seems sweet and harmless. With all the homophobic and racist shit posted here lately, why would anyone be mean to poor Gap guy??

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2019 12:24 AM

I love you GapPlaylistsGuy! Don't leave us. What would we do without you?! I thought being authenticated would bring you more prosperity :(

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2019 12:26 AM

I, myself, like the Gap guy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2019 12:28 AM

I heard this song at the mall once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2019 12:31 AM

No one is coming forward with playlists. So, rather than be constantly creating new threads to replaced the GREYED-OUT ones, it is time to try some other way of finding more guys who worked at Gap and saved the playlists.

I have tried so many things but there have to be more avenues to pursue.

This is NOT a "I'm leaving!" thread to try to get people to get me to not leave. Nope. I am gone on Saturday evening. But I AM Trying to get anyone out there who has Gap playlists to finally share them with me because I won't be here to keep asking for them.

I'm so grateful to have FOUR Gap Playlists from 1994! Some things I remember right, some wrong. The December 1994 Gap Playlist is truly one of the most unique and somewhat weird Holiday playlists I've ever heard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2019 12:33 AM

The weird thing about the three Gap In-Store Playlists I have from 1995 is that I remembered them not quite correctly. March 1995 is much better than I remembered while August 1995 is more dull than I remembered. And May 1995 was one where the songs I remembered I thought were in other months in earlier years.

January 1995 is the one I want most from this year, and I do remember several of the songs:

"What I Can Do For You" by Sheryl Crow

"Magic Carpet Ride" by Pizzicato Five

"Stay By Me" by Annie Lennox

Of course, I want all of the playlists for 1995!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2019 12:39 AM

Gap obviously had them. Why the fuck aren’t they handing them over to you?

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2019 12:44 AM

I've repeated answered this. Gap does not not have any. They did not save the info. The ONLY things they had were about 12 CDs from 2003 to 2005 that they found lying around - but no playlists. Gap sent them to me and I deciphered the songs on them and made replica playlists for those months. (Gap paid me to do it).

They are not holding anything back from me. The companies that made the CDs and tapes for Gap in those years are all owned now by Mood Media, and, in a server upgrade two years ago, all of the old playlist information was wiped out. The Vice President of Mood Media worked on finding them himself and told me the unfortunate news about the playlists information no longer existing.

I had the President of Gap, Inc. instructing different departments to help me. They're not lying. There are none to be found at Gap or Mood Media. That part of the quest is over, and it went on for two years.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2019 12:50 AM

Since I recently received the February 1996 Gap In-Store Playlist, that brings me to now having again 7 out of the 12 playlists for 1996!

1996... the music is so good on all of these. September 1996 and October 1996 are my favorites from this year if forced to pick. LOVE the Trip-Hop insanity and Lounge that was creeping into the playlists then!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2019 12:55 AM

I know you’ve said that, r15.

GAP is lying to you.

Why, I don’t know. They probably think they can monetize it somehow. Their management is so incompetent, it boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2019 12:58 AM

1997 is the only year from 1992 to 2006 that I have ALL of the Gap Playlists for! All 12 months!!!

The year starts off incredibly with so much Acid Jazz and Lounge but my Summer is replaced with more commercial music. Which is fine, but January through May 1997 are five solid months of perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2019 1:00 AM

1998 is another special year like 1992. So many things happened then and the music was a huge part of it. This was the year that Gap broke into the mainstream consciousness with the Khakis Swing ads.

I have 7 out of 12 months of Gap playlists but I still desperately want August 1998. If you worked at Gap then, you would definitely remember this incredible mix of Techno music form the era.

CONSTANT EVOLUTION

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2019 1:04 AM

So I wonder who made the playlists for GAP? Did they pay them?

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2019 1:08 AM

Of course, I would PAY for Gap Playlists. I've offered payment to my three sources, all of whom have refused any sort of payment.

I did buy several Gap CDs from 1999 off of eBay two years ago, from which I reconstructed playlists after deciphering the songs.

If someone is holding off on sharing with me because you want a pay out, just email me at the address on the blog and let me know. I won't be reading anything on DataLounge after Saturday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2019 1:08 AM

I love the Gap Playlists Guy!

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2019 1:11 AM

R20, Gap had a few employees who oversaw the playlists that were assembled by the companies that made the tapes and CDs for Gap. AEI Music did it from the Eighties through March 1999. Muzak took over the playlists and CDs in April 1999. Both of those two companies are now owned by Mood Media.

As I detailed above, Gap did not save the playlist info. The info that AEI and Muzak had DID exist at Mood Media for all this time but a server upgrade two years ago wiped out all of that past info. This is confirmed for me by the GLOBAL VICE PRESIDENT of Mood Media personally.

No one at Gap and Mood Media are trying to screw me over since both companies have helped me greatly in many ways.

I do wish I could find some tapes or CDs from either AEI or Muzak that were played in Gap stores. I did have two tapes that I had transferred to digital in 2012 (March & April 1997). Plus, I bought about 8 Gap and GapKids Muzak-created CDs off eBay two years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Tomorrow I will detail some of the highlights from Y2K of the Gap In-Store Playlists!

Wish me luck that someone will contact me with more playlists from 1992 to 2006 to share!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2019 1:21 AM

Why are you so suddenly leaving DL by Saturday, GAP Playlists Guy? Why a hard break? Don't go. You're part of our culture - like Cheryl or Erna or Bonnie Franklin or Mrs Patsy Ramsey, Formerly of Boulder, Colorado or Susan Richardson, America's Sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2019 1:30 AM

Love you, GPG. I worked at Gap in the late eighties for about a year and remember my yuppie manager who drove a red jeep and had hair down to her ass. Then there was the cool gay guy with safety pin earrings. I wish I had thought to ask about the music then.

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2019 1:31 AM

I sincerely wish I had what you are looking for. This is a sweet, innocent completely benign quest, and one I can actually relate to. I’m so sorry if anyone has made you feel unwelcome. I am surprised how sad I feel about it. :(

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2019 1:33 AM

Gap Playlist Guy we will miss you! Please stop by and visit. I always smile when I see your posts.

This also sounds mushy and lame, but you’ve inspired many times not to give up and keep on trying when something is really important to me. I admire your tenacity.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2019 1:40 AM

I happened to see Komeda. Anything by komeda is excellent. I've included a song that very well could have been on a gap playlist, since it's one of their best. I could see why this is so important to you. The obscurity of some songs that remind you of your past times will indeed be hard to come by.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2019 1:44 AM

Another fan here. I have a question, in all your time on Datalounge, do you enjoy reading other threads? Do you find yourself wasting hours here or was DL always just another avenue for you to find playlists? I know you’re taking a break in this persona, but will you still read and post in threads as just a regular poster?

by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2019 2:20 AM

Well now you’re being a bit flouncy and difficult, Mary OP.

Stay, go, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2019 2:33 AM

Gap Playlist Guy, I wish you luck in your quest! Thank you for sharing your passion with us and offering classic and new (to me) music from your playlists. I hope you will check in from time to time and let us know how your search is going.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2019 5:20 AM

Julianne Moore, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 33June 20, 2019 5:49 AM

^^^^

by Anonymousreply 34June 20, 2019 6:00 AM

The royalty contracts must exist somewhere along the chain.

Piece the info together that way.

The files are probably buried in their legal departments.

by Anonymousreply 35June 20, 2019 6:03 AM

Someone - as in an individual - produced the CDs at one of the companies.

Who pressed the physical CDs? What company? Surely they would also have records?

What printing company was contracted for the CD liners? Who designed the cover art? There were obviously design proofs along the way that had to be approved.

by Anonymousreply 36June 20, 2019 6:06 AM

What company physical mailed out the boxes of CDs?

Check bills of lading and work backward.

Production assistants. Who equalized the sound for the CD - a studio surely.

by Anonymousreply 37June 20, 2019 6:08 AM

The music was surely curated to complement the in-store displays and store windows.

How can none of those departments not have records of the cohesive in-store branding experience campaigns? That’s inconceivable.

by Anonymousreply 38June 20, 2019 6:10 AM

I like the way Gap Guy pops up in random threads just to link some semi-obscure celeb to the playlist of May 1992 or whatever.

Don’t let some arsehole chase you off DL, Gap Guy! You have just as much right to be here as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 39June 20, 2019 6:11 AM

You can probably find some of the lateral people who worked on putting this series out on LinkedIn.

by Anonymousreply 40June 20, 2019 6:16 AM

Contact some of the artists’ management and plead your case. They would know where the royalty docs for their artists are, or could point you further down the chain.

by Anonymousreply 41June 20, 2019 6:20 AM

You can bet your bottom dollar that if GAP or Mood Music were being sued for not paying royalties on a song they played in-store, their legal teams would locate those agreements right quick.

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2019 6:23 AM

OP has been trolling in the anti-T threads and gets ignored and FFed, which in turn grays out all his threads.

That's why Gap Dude here is upset. I don't exactly feel sorry for him. He can fix this problem himself by not spamming troll threads with his own trolling.

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2019 6:26 AM

Is he pro or anti-trans?

by Anonymousreply 44June 20, 2019 6:29 AM

He was also in the thread about the Gap employee targeting a customer, repeatedly saying that racism doesn't exist.

This is another KELT or AYB situation: people believe the persona and turn a blind eye to the same person trolling.

Again, OP can fix this himself. No one is doing anything to him, per se. When he posts his racist anti-trans stuff, he doesn't sign his posts, so people don't immediately realize they've flagged him personally. It's not a personal attack.

by Anonymousreply 45June 20, 2019 6:38 AM

Is he Vadgebot?

by Anonymousreply 46June 20, 2019 6:46 AM

[quote]During my time with Gap, I collected the monthly in-store playlists that would come with each tape or CD, so that I could know the artists and songs playing.

Why did you get to keep the inserts of the CDs? Shouldn’t they have remained in store? Did you steal all the inserts as soon as the CD came in?

by Anonymousreply 47June 20, 2019 6:57 AM

[quote]I don't get it, [R5]. Gap guy seems sweet and harmless. With all the homophobic and racist shit posted here lately, why would anyone be mean to poor Gap guy??

He posts too often. (I have never FFed him, though.)

by Anonymousreply 48June 20, 2019 8:15 AM

Proof that Gap Guy is racist please.

by Anonymousreply 49June 20, 2019 10:00 AM

Ahhh.. Gap guy you seem sweet and earnest.

by Anonymousreply 50June 20, 2019 10:03 AM

The only thread where he was trolling that I still have in my watcher is this one. The other thread I saw is the one about the lady getting hassled by Gap security. Find it yourself.

Besides, I didn't say he was racist, I said he posted racist stuff and also trolled. That's why he gets grayed out. It's not because big meanies flag his Gap posts.

At least I gave him solid advice on how to stay here and not get the Gap posts grayed out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 20, 2019 10:07 AM

The first time I heard aboiut this Gap Store Playlist guy when I was new was when someone got mad at him for defending the Mens Rights trolls. Took forever but i found the thread. Since then I've seen other complaints, I don't dislike the OP but he can be a little much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 20, 2019 11:25 AM

This response last night to the "Khaki Soul" video on my YouTube channel says it pretty good why I enjoy the music on the Gap Playlists:

[quote]3-1999. A much lighter and chill times. I was 17, worked at my favorite theme park. Had a new truck. Life was good. No 911, No years of combat...now I watch this over and over again and sometimes I can almost feel like that dumb 17 years old again and it’s 1999 and shits alright with me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2019 12:19 PM

In the Fall of 2019, I Tweeted out the May 1995 Gap In-Store Playlist and mentioned several of the artists whose music was on it, including Michelle Shocked.

Almost immediately, Michelle Shocked responded with a diatribe against Gap and other corporate overlords (hyperbole mine). She said she never got a cent of royalties from Gap (or AEI that made the tape). In several Tweets, she explained that there were loopholes in place so that artists did not get royalties from in-store music back then. She was a little kooky as she laid out her case for artists' rights (which I didn't disagree with; I knew almost nothing about it).

I do remember that stores were supposed to send back the old month's tape/CD when the new one arrived. However, every Gap store I knew and worked at saved the "good" ones. You always wanted to have a few of the really good tapes/CDs to put in before or after store hours so everyone didn't get sick of the current monthly one. Broadcast rights expired for each tape at the end of the month is why they were supposed to be immediately returned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2019 12:28 PM

Has anyone verificatia Gap Playlist Dude,'s sizemeat before he goes?

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2019 12:33 PM

There was no artwork on the tapes/CDs cases, just info about AEI or Muzak.

When Muzak took over in 1999, the April through December 1999 CDs had a copy of the paper playlist folded inside the case PLUS the back of the CD case had an insert with the playlist, as seen in this pic of October 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2019 12:37 PM

Last year I asked one of my Gap Corporate contacts about getting marketing images from 1992 to 2006, and she told me that Gap only holds onto the copyright of their images for one year, which is linked with royalties, of course.

So, I've had to find all of my images online or on eBay.

The pic here was an in-store poster in stores during Spring 1996. Cute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2019 12:41 PM

It's so hot in Texas the last two days, I have to listen to "Snow On A Hot Day" by Bertine Zetlitz on the March 2000 Gap In-Store Playlist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2019 12:58 PM

Buh bye, love. You were generally harmless. Thanks for promoting the lezzie statue. You didn't intend it, I'm sure, but thank you for calling her our Rosa Parks....apt analogy.

I get it, you would prefer to be elsewhere and this is a wise choice in a situation you cannot control. Good luck and play on.

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2019 1:13 PM

[quote]Why are you so suddenly leaving DL by Saturday, GAP Playlists Guy? Why a hard break?

He apparently got identified on one of the threads linked earlier. Probably embarrassed. I couldn't tell you what he's posted but I do find he ends up on ignore all the time, so he must be acting out here and there.

And yeah, he could control it. Lay low for a few weeks then get a second browser like everyone else around here apparently does. Troll on one and be the kindest, warmest, most wonderful man in the world on the other.

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2019 1:22 PM

That's delightfully nefarious, R60. Glad you're here but also grateful not to know you IRL.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote]And yeah, he could control it. Lay low for a few weeks

"[italic]Lie[/italic] low," dear.

You can control it.

by Anonymousreply 62June 20, 2019 1:40 PM

2001 was a strange year for Gap. The dizzying heights of 1998 and 1999 were followed by crashing depths in Late 2000 carrying on into 2001.

The company tried a lot of different things to recover. One way was going after what Corporate identified as the "Style Seeker." Style Seekers were trendy customers aged 17 to 25 - and that was to be our main focus. Suddenly, women's clothes were cropped and halters were all over the place. This tactic did not work.

The music on the Gap Playlists at the beginning of 2001 was very Lounge, Lo-Fi, Future Jazz. I called it "GapBody music" since that was the kind of music playing in separate GapBody stores - "music to try on bras and panties to."

By the end of 2001, the music on the playlists had become much more commercial, apparently going after the trendy Style Seekers who preferred mainstream music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 20, 2019 1:49 PM

The October 2001 Gap In-Store Playlist does feature my favourite ever song by Ivy - "Blame It On Yourself."

I'm so grateful that working at Gap got me to know the music of Ivy, which is now one of my favourite bands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 20, 2019 1:59 PM

That’s interesting info about the strict 1 month broadcast rights.

I feel like you could use this info to put more pieces together.

by Anonymousreply 65June 20, 2019 2:14 PM

Wait, Gap told you they only hold the copyright for 1 year for their marketing campaigns? What?

That doesn’t mean they throw their marketing campaign records away. Come on now.

by Anonymousreply 66June 20, 2019 2:16 PM

Ask some of the frauen with large amounts of followers on Pinterest and Instagram to make a few posts with your plea.

Maybe some of the bitches who worked their back in the day ganked some CDs and will respond.

by Anonymousreply 67June 20, 2019 2:21 PM

[quote] Wait, Gap told you they only hold the copyright for 1 year for their marketing campaigns? What?

I don't believe this is true. A lot of company's are advised to keep records for 7 years in case they get audited. Many company's keep royalty records forever.

by Anonymousreply 68June 20, 2019 2:24 PM

Oh no...I will miss your Gap trivia GPG! I'm sorry you're being driven off by the DL censor brigade.

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2019 2:29 PM

I agree with r68.

Gap is a large international corporation. What they told you makes no sense re royalty records.

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2019 2:30 PM

Gap has the records of the marketing images. I didn't say they didn't. But I was told they couldn't share any of the old images because of the one-year-rights thing. That's not that big a deal for me. Yes, I want images to go on the blog with the playlists, but this is really only about getting the rest of the playlists from 1992 to 2006. And that is going to have to come from other former employees who saved the playlists. There are surely more than four of us.

When I first made my posts here, one guy said that he saved them all from 1990 to 1998. He said when he went to look for them to share with me, that his husband had already thrown them out awhile back. I don't know if he was trolling me.

Also, on the blog, a guy posted that he had saved all of the Gap playlists from 1989 to 1994. He never wrote back.

Even if some people are trolling me (and I fall for it every time), I do believe there are many other guys out there who saved Gap playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2019 2:32 PM

Hmmmmm....the plot thickens re what Gap has and “doesn’t” have.

Have them check their legal departments for royalty agreements.

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2019 2:34 PM

[quote]Ask some of the frauen with large amounts of followers on Pinterest and Instagram to make a few posts with your plea. Maybe some of the bitches who worked their back in the day ganked some CDs and will respond.

Can you walk me through what you mean by this? I use Pinterest to find Gap images, but you can communicate with others there? I wouldn't even know how to do what you suggested, which sounds like a great suggestion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 20, 2019 2:35 PM

Gap has certainly benefited greatly from your ongoing campaign with lots of free publicity.

If they had given you what you asked for, they wouldn’t have gotten any of that

I’m deeply suspicious of how much effort they really expended to fulfill your request. If the president or board of Gap demanded this info for other reasons, it would get found.

by Anonymousreply 74June 20, 2019 2:36 PM

I don’t have that kind of knowledge, r73, but your frau and millennial frau friends will know.

Instagram’s reach with the frauen is enormous- they don’t go on Facebook anymore. There are many lifestyle frau Instagram celebrities with enormous amounts of followers, and a few posts by them would get your plea seem by many, many new pairs of eyes who didn’t read the NYT and certainly not Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 75June 20, 2019 2:40 PM

I think many Pinterest fraus make their profile info accessible, and link to their other social media accounts like Instagram, though which you can contact them directly. I have no idea if Pinterest has a messaging feature that some users have enabled.

I do think that perhaps you can comment below images. This is really outside my wheelhouse, but Pinterest and even more, Instagram, are where the gals and many of your ex-colleagues are.

by Anonymousreply 76June 20, 2019 2:46 PM

Maybe make an Instagram account where you'd post some of the playlists and past campaigns? People on Instagram go crazy for the 90s. Maybe you'd be able to find someone to help you there. Instagram will for sure help you with exposure, granted you give it the time it requires.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2019 2:46 PM

^^^^Yes

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2019 2:47 PM

Good point, you can contact Instagram staffers directly for help, especially since you’ve been profilings the NYT and are looking for something very, very on trend.

by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2019 2:48 PM

Since you’ve been profiled by the NYT.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2019 2:49 PM

Yeah, my Facebook and Twitter ads last year accomplished nothing.

I have Instagram as "GapPlaylists" but the images have to be put on with the phone app, which would then make a horizontal image turn vertical, right?

I've almost done it many times but I don't like the images going the wrong way.

How do you contact Instagram staffers.

Thank you for the help and suggestions, everyone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2019 2:49 PM

BTW, it's THE NEW YORKER, not the NYT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2019 2:50 PM

If what that singer on Twitter said about royalties is true, it's possible that the media company and/or Gap weren't paying royalties, in which case I could absolutely see there being no records left behind.

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2019 2:58 PM

Actually, if it was the New Yorker instead of the NYT, the fraus really wouldn’t have seen it.

Get thee to Instagram corporate.

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2019 3:01 PM

Instagram has a Help section to contact staffers about setting up paid campaigns. They would be the place to start. It’s irrelevant that you’re not Big Corp looking to spend ad bucks with them.

Those gals will know who internally will help you.

by Anonymousreply 85June 20, 2019 3:04 PM

But r83, the artists’ PR and management teams will have records that their client was receiving publicity through a major corporation during that corporation’s heyday.

You think Techno Joe Blow DJ doesn’t have a press/clip book that states his song was featured in the May 2002 Gap in-store campaign or what have you? It’s still publicity.

by Anonymousreply 86June 20, 2019 3:07 PM

Instagram lifestyle influencers are your answer.

by Anonymousreply 87June 20, 2019 3:10 PM

Thank you for the Instagram information. I really appreciate it.

02/22/2000 outside Gap Inc. headquarters in SF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 20, 2019 3:29 PM

Maybe if you were nicer to me I wouldn’t have grayed out your posts constantly. You did it to yourself Mike.

by Anonymousreply 89June 20, 2019 4:00 PM

The October 1992 Gap In-Store Playlist is the one most desired. When I started work at Gap in October 1992 at Highland Park Village in Dallas, I was suddenly exposed to all kinds of different music that I never would have heard on the radio.

For me, the Gap playlists are like having my own private radio station. Once I assemble all of the songs into a playlist on my computer, there are endless hours of fantastic and varied music to listen to. It never gets boring.

I've recreated from memory a partial playlist for October 1992 and I am positive about all of the almost 30 songs on it. But there are still at least 20 more songs that I don't remember, which is why I need the full list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 20, 2019 4:15 PM

October 1997 was the month that Gap launched its new Blue No. 655 scent for Men and Women. To reflect this and celebrate the release, all songs for the In-Store Playlist that month had the word "blue" in the title or it was a significant part of the song.

I especially loved this playlist because it contained "Blue Denim" by Stevie Nicks, from her 1994 album STREET ANGEL.

In August 2017 when Gap hired me to create a '90s playlist for them, I was thrilled to put "Blue Denim" on it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91June 20, 2019 4:32 PM

Gap at NorthPark Center in Dallas on March 1, 2000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 20, 2019 4:38 PM

The year 1999 is almost complete, only lacking March 1999. I also really want the September 1999 GapKids playlist because there are several songs from the Fall of 1999 that I'm positive were played in Gap but are not on any of the actual Gap playlists. I have all of the GapKids ones except for September, so I'm betting that is where many of these 1999 songs I remember actually belong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2019 4:41 PM

There are only 11 Gap In-Store Playlists for 2005 as Gap had one playlist cover both November and December 2005.

Great music on it but 8 weeks of the same music is a little long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 20, 2019 4:46 PM

However, GapKids got a separate playlist for December 2005.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2019 4:47 PM

Gap would again use a single CD for both November and December 2006.

I'm not sure why the guy who sent me this used this blue filter on the playlist. It's an effect, the paper wasn't blue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2019 4:49 PM

So, on Instagram, I guess I should hashtag the Hell out of the pics, right?

#KhakisSwing

#Gap90s

#KhakiAGoGo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 20, 2019 4:51 PM

#Gap

#Madonna

#GapMadonna

#GetIntoTheHollywoodGroove

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 20, 2019 4:57 PM

Did they play the music in the GAP sweatshops? Maybe some of the kids making the clothes remember.

by Anonymousreply 99June 20, 2019 5:02 PM

Fall 2004 will always be remembered as when SJP joined Gap for a successful partnership.

HOW

DO

YOU

WEAR

IT?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 20, 2019 5:06 PM

Why does the DL hate her so?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 20, 2019 5:07 PM

Will Kemp used to reTweet a lot of my Tweets about his participation in Gap ads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 20, 2019 5:09 PM

I always remembered the March 2002 Gap In-Store Playlist as being one of my favorites. Luckily, in February 2019, a new source gave it to me, as well as half of the Gap playlists for 2002! And for GapKids as well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 20, 2019 5:16 PM

The hashtags on Instagram are their own thing. I don’t know what terms you should use. You need to hook up with some Instagram influencers so they can create a post promoting your request and all their followers will see it.

Call corporate.

by Anonymousreply 104June 20, 2019 6:01 PM

Gap undoubtedly has Instagram and YouTube influencers on their payroll already.

by Anonymousreply 105June 20, 2019 6:02 PM

2005 was my final year at Gap, so those playlists are especially important to me.

I have:

March 2005

May 2005

June 2005

August 2005

November 2005/December 2005

Six more to go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 20, 2019 6:02 PM

Gap's head of Social Media follows me on Twitter as do a number of Corporate employees.

Thanks for all of the Insta-Gap info! I'm going to get to work on that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 20, 2019 6:06 PM

Get Kim Kardashian and Ellen to support you on Instagram. They'll get you your missing lists in no time!

by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2019 10:28 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions about Instagram. My niece is also going to help me with that.

Thanks to everyone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 20, 2019 10:29 PM

Well, R108, I have asked for help from several Gap-identified celebrities like SJP, Cher, Juliette Lewis, and others to ReTweet things for me but they never have.

Only musical artists like Rozalla, Alana Davis, Luscious Jackson (who Follow me!), Suzanne Vega, and a few others have RT-ed anything, and those did not result in anyone coming forward with playlists.

Of course, if Ellen would do it... but I'm sure people bug her all of the time with similar requests. "Retweet this for my dying daughter, please Ellen!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 20, 2019 10:34 PM

Okay, I did one Instagram post just to see if I could.

Now I will spend time trying to figure out how to maximize visibility .

Will gay men in their 30s to 50s be on Instagram? Those are the ones who saved playlists. Maybe some straight men, yes, but mostly gay men, I would think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111June 20, 2019 10:52 PM

GapPlaylistsGuy, only losers are on Twitter. You need a celebrity influencer to endorse you on Instagram. It's where everyone is today.

by Anonymousreply 112June 20, 2019 11:54 PM

Great, but I have no idea how to get a celebrity influencer who would reach the audience who would have saved Gap playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 20, 2019 11:56 PM

^Celebrity influencers reach everyone. I have no idea, but they just do.

by Anonymousreply 114June 20, 2019 11:57 PM

Leaving comments helps, GapPlaylistsGuy. Try to leave a witty or catchy comment on big celebrities' posts. People on Instagram have all the time in the world and most of the times read and go through the comments. Also, try following those that might be able to help you with the playlists first especially if they don't have that many followers. I'm rooting for you!

by Anonymousreply 115June 21, 2019 12:01 AM

Thanks for your help and encouragement!

I greatly appreciate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 21, 2019 12:03 AM

I'm figuring out how to crop it better on my iPhone.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, help and encouragement!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 21, 2019 12:10 AM

This one I chopped up! LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 21, 2019 12:10 AM

GPG, you are part of the DL. Please don't leave us. You are fun and kind of cozy in a way. I like it when you pop into random threads. You don't abuse it. Don't let a few humorless assholes chase you off.

by Anonymousreply 119June 21, 2019 12:12 AM

You’re a DL legend. I don’t anyone else here at DL has gotten an article written about themselves in Vanity Fair.

by Anonymousreply 120June 21, 2019 12:14 AM

One of my ultimate favorite songs that I got to know and love because of GAP -

"That Girl" by Esthero on the May 1998 Gap In-Store Playlist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 21, 2019 12:22 AM

Do you have a job? Are you on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 122June 21, 2019 12:33 AM

This is the worst shill for GAP ever. In the beginning this troll refused to take my advice on who to contact for his "precious" lists. I had contacted and received all the lists, artist info, other documentation on PDF files from GAP. Wasn't too hard. I offered to send to this troll and he never responded. He's a phony people. Wise up.

by Anonymousreply 123June 21, 2019 12:34 AM

Post a playlist here that's not on the blog as proof, R123.

And if you were offering to send them to me, my email is the best way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 21, 2019 12:37 AM

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If you have any Gap In-Store Playlists from 1992 to 2006, please contact me at the email address on the blog:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 21, 2019 12:48 AM

[quote] I offered to send to this troll and he never responded.

He posts his contact details frequently. Why would you just not send them to him if you had them?

by Anonymousreply 126June 21, 2019 12:50 AM

My contact information is on the top and bottom of every single page of the blog.

Always has been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 21, 2019 12:57 AM

If you worked at Gap and saved the paper playlist inserts that came with each month's CD/tape, please share them with me and the world. My email address is on every page on the blog:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 21, 2019 12:38 PM

What’s the point of saving these playlists?

by Anonymousreply 129June 22, 2019 8:25 AM

I suppose it’s a bit of a musical/pop-culture snapshot/time capsule one month at a time. Not unlike Top 40/Top 100 Billboard lists.

by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2019 9:13 AM

I gave him a lot of advice too, r123, which came from my experience as an archivist. He ignored it all and his story has changed between 2015 (when he showed up) and now.

But I don't think he's a shill, I think he's honestly one of the mentally askew folks we attract here. He repeats himself constantly and is obviously a Republican. DL is full of gullible people (someone recently called a link to a website an "app" and announced all apps contain government viruses) so he's probably not going to leave or suddenly become coherent, because he's encouraged to keep acting this way.

by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2019 9:20 AM

Everyone crying about this guy leaving and suggesting he get celebrity help is insane.

He's a right-winger with a personality disorder who gets modded for his nasty comments and who obviously lies about a whole host of topics.

How do you people even function in real life? You must get absolutely clobbered on social media.

by Anonymousreply 132June 22, 2019 9:25 AM

[quote]I suppose it’s a bit of a musical/pop-culture snapshot/time capsule one month at a time. Not unlike Top 40/Top 100 Billboard lists.

Yes, that's a large part of it. I like being a historian of some things.

Also, I love the music. All of these thousands of songs from so many different genres that I never would have heard of it wasn't for working at Gap during that time. I love the music. And there are great memories associated with so many of the songs.

Plus, many, many people have written me, thanking me for the blog which has helped them find their own lost favorite songs form when they worked at Gap. Helping myself but also benefitting others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133June 22, 2019 12:03 PM

Thanks for the Instagram help!

Maybe it will reach some more people who saved Gap In-Store Playlists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 22, 2019 2:07 PM

"Feels Like Christmas" by Cyndi Lauper is on the December 1994 GAP In-Store Playlist!

Happy Birthday, Cyndi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135June 22, 2019 2:24 PM

This song mentions fireworks. Get ready for Independence Day!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 22, 2019 4:49 PM

Check out how awesome the July 2000 Gap In-Store Playlist is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 22, 2019 5:08 PM

From the August 2001 GAP In-Store Playlist -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138June 22, 2019 10:55 PM

Do you only wear Gap?

by Anonymousreply 139June 23, 2019 4:46 AM

This song makes Christmas in July seem like a great idea!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 23, 2019 7:33 PM

Has GaplistGuyGone?

by Anonymousreply 141June 23, 2019 7:37 PM

R45

Kelt sure does get blamed for a lot of things that he hadn't even seen until he searched his name.

by Anonymousreply 142July 20, 2019 5:03 PM

I also like the Gap playlist guy. It’s such an unusual interest.

by Anonymousreply 143July 20, 2019 6:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!