Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

—Official— Project Runway Bravo Reboot thread, part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600April 28, 2019 4:56 PM

Previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 1, 2019 5:35 PM

I thought Tessa's last garment was really weird. She started out so strong but what the hell was that? It looked like it had been starched and pressed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 1, 2019 10:04 PM

r2 She has no eye for prints as they clash with her minimalist aesthetic and so she froze in this challenge, I think.

by Anonymousreply 3April 1, 2019 10:30 PM

Agree. The print was interesting but she was afraid to really work with it.

by Anonymousreply 4April 1, 2019 11:18 PM

Editorial

Matronly

Taste issues

Reveal

Pop of color

Make it work

Wow factor

Poor execution

Throw under bus

Silhouette

Pencil skirt

Fresh

Bold

Accessory wall

Smoky

Curvy

Color blocking

Draping

Your woman (bonus points if she’s a chic, edgy, strong, empowered New York City woman).

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2019 1:24 AM

I mean... that's mostly all fashion jargon, except for "throw under the bus". You can hardly practice any profession/craft/art without some established technical terms.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2019 1:30 AM

It’s not just an accessory wall, it’s the K Mart Accessory Wall!

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2019 1:32 AM

R5 - that sounds like Nina's script.

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2019 2:47 AM

Tessa claims a minimalist aesthetic because she is lacking construction skills. Plus, she comes across as somewhat of a smug bitch...

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2019 1:15 PM

Yeah, Sebastian said that in Ep2 when he had to work with her r9. She doesn't know how to construct more complicated designs.

Though I will say in her defense, she immediately admitted on the runway that Sebastian had to help her construct that garment.

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2019 6:00 PM

I’m not saying she’s not smart. She knew that would come out. But her telling Sebastian to get to work, as if somehow she was the leader of the group, after he took the time to essentially construct her skirt, was appalling. And then to insert herself into another teams fabric problems to take up for the idiotic Hester and her tulle that she insisted on and never used made me not like either of them.. I loved when she was told to go away by the woman who was eliminated...

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2019 6:40 PM

Tessa basically prides herself to be a bossy boss who can delegate. She's a (no talent) bitch who got shit done by leading her team to victory. Or the team won even though they had her threatening to drag the team down with her drama.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2019 6:46 PM

[quote]Tessa basically prides herself to be a bossy boss who can delegate. She's a (no talent) bitch who got shit done by leading her team to victory.

There are leaders and then there are followers.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2019 6:48 PM

And then there are clueless, intrusive bitches...

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2019 6:51 PM

Let’s talk about ‘Project Runway’ stars using ‘old lady’ to describe unflattering clothes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2019 10:46 AM

The three Ms:

“Matronly”

“Mother of the bride”

“Mumsy”

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2019 2:39 PM

And Golden Girl! ... but I love the Golden Girls as a show.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2019 4:12 PM

My local cable company is fighting with NBC so the latter has blocked all its channels, including Bravo. Is there any link to some fort of streaming online?

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2019 12:13 AM

Here you go r18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2019 12:18 AM

Thank you SO. MUCH. R19!!

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2019 12:19 AM

Very nice, Joanie! Jack Kennedy would fuck anything that walked. So you must have swollen feet and a sore snatch.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2019 12:19 AM

"I'm a hunter gatherer!!"

Lol, kovid.

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2019 12:20 AM

I think Kovid can be a little tiresome at times, but that line did crack me up r22.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2019 12:22 AM

In the promo, one of the designers barks “Step away!” and the dramatic sound effect lets us know he’s fighting with someone.

When the episode airs, we see that the designer said it in a completely joking manner. No aggression, just friendship.

Annoying.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2019 12:49 AM

Misleading promos are a staple of reality television r24.

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2019 12:50 AM

They got them up like an hour before sunrise, I would have been pissed.

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2019 12:53 AM

Their bark is worse than their bite.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2019 1:03 AM

"Can't walk in that dress, I told ya!"

Siriano is getting more comfortable in his role in the show.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2019 1:04 AM

Yeah glad they gave that model a blanket. She was freezing and shaking.

I like renees look.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2019 1:11 AM

That judge Elaine warning Hester to be careful about "cultural appropriation" is laughable. This isn't Wakanda.

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2019 1:16 AM

What is the role of Beyonce's stylist? Sometimes she's there, sometimes she's not. She's doing way more than just advising on the use of face masks and fanny packs. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2019 1:17 AM

Yes this episode she was very much just a second mentor r31, doing the same thing Christian does.

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2019 1:24 AM

Too bad they no longer have the Tim Gunn save. I think it would have been worth it for Christian Siriano to use it in this episode. Sorry to see Afa go. He had some good designs.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2019 1:33 AM

Yay, we get at least one more week of Kovid's flouncing and praying and trying to keep that weird comb-over in place.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2019 1:34 AM

I hated that episode. For no good reason they tortured the designers and the models. Then they let one of the more talented people go and kept someone who's clearly out of his league. The judges seem to lack the humanity that Heidi and Tim brought to the show. Plus,the stylists/mentors are giving them too much advice. Tim would say make it work and let the designers figure things out.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2019 1:39 AM

I thought Sebastian was lucky to make it through this week.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2019 1:42 AM

Lucky r36?

He made an entire dress out of leaves, exactly the type of thing the judges love.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2019 1:46 AM

I thought that the winning outfit looked ridiculous, easily the worst of the bunch.

To Hester I say “Plz Die”

by Anonymousreply 38April 5, 2019 1:47 AM

I also didn't care for Renee's outfit. I think even she was surprised.

by Anonymousreply 39April 5, 2019 1:50 AM

Ridiculous episode...

by Anonymousreply 40April 5, 2019 1:55 AM

No one would wear any of that shit. I love how the delusional designers say, " I could actually see someone wearing that."

by Anonymousreply 41April 5, 2019 4:38 AM

Bring back Kors; he wouldn't stand for any of this shit and the lack of taste and sense in this panel of judges.

by Anonymousreply 42April 5, 2019 4:46 AM

I also disliked Renee's outfit but it seems like just like last week the judges pick the winner based only on what they think fits the design brief most.

Personally I think Lela was lucky to not be called out on this outfit. I absolutely hated it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 5, 2019 5:56 AM

Worst episode yet.

Kovid deserved to go home. His outfit SUCKED!!!! Afa's design wasn't at all as bad as the judges made it out to be. Kovid's was much, much worse but I knew that they would keep him because the editing that he's getting is just ridiculous. It's like the fucking KOVID show, the way that we already know his whole fucking life story in just three or four episodes. I have no doubt he'll make it to the finale based on this bullshit judging.

Renee's outfit (on the other end of the spectrum) was equally horrid. The way the judges were just raving about it, made me think that I was losing my mind! There is no way that we were looking at the same garment. It's like she wrapped a tarp around her model, and hung camping gear on her. It was hideous!! And even Renee knew it.

The judging was all over the place in this episode. And now I hate Kovid because of the obvious bias in favor of him. I hated when Lifetime did it, and I still hate it now that Bravo is doing it.

Just judge the designers on their fucking designs, and not on their stupid life story!!! Is it really that hard???

by Anonymousreply 44April 5, 2019 6:08 AM

Christian probably wants to choke the life out of Kovid

by Anonymousreply 45April 5, 2019 10:52 AM

Ok, between Renee and Afa, it seems like the judges actually did want the idea of a wilderness survival outfit. Afa did washed up south seas, not wilderness.

Kovid needs to go. I liked one of the judges said Kovid hides behind an 'everything is art' stance. That's a thing. He needed to EDIT. The body was alright. They all seemed to like the pants. The crime was that totally unfinished hem. He had time.

by Anonymousreply 46April 5, 2019 10:58 AM

I can't believe they let Afa go. It clearly should've been Kovid.

by Anonymousreply 47April 5, 2019 11:28 AM

The only design that had any fashion merit, to me, was Hester’s. It was cute, flirty and used enough camping/survival materials to afford a bullshit line about alternate uses. I have posted irritation with Hester upthread, but, having watched the previous episode again, concede that her picnic look was more fashionable than I first thought. Sebastian’s design was better and should have won, but Hester’s was good as well. Hester should have won this week, though...

by Anonymousreply 48April 5, 2019 1:01 PM

The show needs " minor" adjustments, such as : Siriano and that Beyonce woman controlling what the designers do and getting a panel of judges that actually know real fashion, not the most freaky, out in left field, unwearable garbage that they are praising. Nina has been a great disappointment. The same crap she is praising, she would have destroyed when she was around Kors and Klum. Yesterday's challenge was by far the worst in the history of the show.

by Anonymousreply 49April 5, 2019 1:37 PM

Rose-tinted glasses.

There are people have been complaining about terrible judging season season 1. And have been declaring this is the worst season ever since Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 50April 5, 2019 1:43 PM

My new thing is how unchallenging this challenge was. A whole afternoon, a full day, 1.5 hours the day of the show. What looked like a big variety and supply of materials, drawers and drawers of accessories.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2019 1:53 PM

This was one of the stupidest challenges ever. First of all ...woods on Staten Island in 40 degree weather in the rain?? I usually love the unconventional challenges but this had sooo many externals affecting the outcome that it really had more to do with survival and endurance than design. It looked miserable. I hate Hester (real name if probably Lorraine)but her design was the best and Renee's survival abomination was the worst. I've been liking this iteration of Runway so far but this was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2019 2:02 PM

Tom and Lorenzo thought it was a really fun episode, I'm inclined to agree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2019 2:10 PM

I have one positive thing to say about Kloss= I loved her outfit last night.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2019 2:11 PM

Shhh.....

I actually liked Hester's submission last night. It's probably the first time that I've ever said that I liked anything of hers....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2019 2:15 PM

This boy's got it!

Sebastian's got the aesthetics down pat and you can see that he designs to sell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2019 2:18 PM

[quote] Yeah glad they gave that model a blanket. She was freezing and shaking.

Only because she missed her hormone injections while camping in the bush.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2019 2:46 PM

Sebastian was so adorable when he shouted "five minutes!" and then turned and gave this shy smile. It was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 58April 5, 2019 3:50 PM

r56 Looks gorgeous but I agree with the remark at r53's link that he completely missed the brief on this being [bold]survival[/bold] wear. How long could you possibly survive in the wilderness, draped in freshly-fallen leaves? And imagine running from a bear in that, or traversing a river.

I have to say Hester's looks like the most high fashion of the bunch. Renee's outfit is a non-design without all that camping gear hanging from it.

by Anonymousreply 59April 5, 2019 3:56 PM

R53 I also enjoyed the episode and I'm looking forward to next week. That being said I've completely run out of patience for Kovid.

R54 I loved the outfit on her. Though all throughout I kept noticing that while Karlie is still beautiful she looks like she is aging in an odd way. Doesn't she look like she's in her mid thirties rather than her actual age of 26?

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2019 3:58 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what was "almost cultural appropriation" about Hester's outfit? Was it the neck rings?

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2019 4:02 PM

Yes. It was the neck rings. I liked her skirt. The shoe action was good. It was a complete look... and it had nice movement unlike Sebastian's which looked stiff as a board.

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2019 4:34 PM

Why did the judges rush up to help the mylar dress model. Y'all feeling guilty for dragging everyone out to the woods? Let the designer do it or let the model fall down. You are the judges.

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2019 4:48 PM

R63

Nina and the new judge didn't get up to help.

It made sense to me that Karlie & Brad jumped up. Karlie's a model & has an affinity to the models. She was also the first one to offer a blanket. Brad has been shown to be a real soft touch. It totally seemed like something he'd do not to mention he has an affinity to models as a designer.

by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2019 5:52 PM

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought Renee deserved the win.

Her outfit met the criteria. The task was to take unconventional items and create an outfit for the woman to survive in the elements.. She did that the best IMO

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2019 5:55 PM

But it was butt-ugly...

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2019 6:26 PM

it was a stupid challenge. Make survival gear fashionable in an unconventional materials challenge and have it all out in the cold forest. For me I didn't get drama (well, except when the model almost tripped because of the length of her dress).

The winner was a basic ready-to-wear ... uh, ready-to-survive look. Not what I look for in a winning look personally.

This is probably my least favorite episode of Project Runway ever.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2019 7:00 PM

Why exactly were they torturing the designers (and models) on this episode? Sleep deprivation (yanking them out of bed at 5 fucking AM,) hypothermia (“camping” in near-freezing temperatures,) and exposure to the elements (runway in the rain? Really?) Why?? It wasn’t entertaining or fun to watch, just uncomfortable. I felt terrible for them being subjected to such miserable conditions.

by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2019 7:01 PM

Oh come on, you bunch of negative Nancys. This show wasn’t that bad. It was kind of cool, actually.

And the fact that it rained was serendipity because it tested the endurance of the designs while in the elements.

by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2019 7:05 PM

Watching the trans model shake because of the cold was really uncomfortable to watch. The episode helped to humanize Karlie with the way she helped her fellow models (the one who almost tripped and giving the blanket to the other).

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2019 7:07 PM

[quote] It made sense to me that Karlie & Brad jumped up. Karlie's a model & has an affinity to the models.

No, you're right. Plus they were sitting right there. The designer should really map out that possibility of the model not being able to walk.

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2019 7:28 PM

Well it certainly tested the endurance of the models (who don't get paid or get paid very little from what I understand). Standing around half naked while the clothes are being fitted to them--the designers are wearing ski parkas--and then standing on the runway while their clothes are being judged. I read that the judging sessions can last for a couple hours although they probably kept it shorter this time. No gas heaters due to the noise. Cold + rain = hypothermia. I'm sure Mimi wasn't the only one shivering.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2019 7:48 PM

So Hester's model is black but somehow doing a spin on African neck rings is dangerously close to appropriation? Hand me the barf bag please!

Renee's look was utter shit..I felt like was being gaslit.

I continue to fast forward through Kovid. I live for the day he is eliminated but this being PR he will probably make it to the finals.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2019 7:48 PM

Anyone who has been in cold, damp, 40 degree weather know it is worse than anything. That is like winter in DC. Kill me now!

by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote] So Hester's model is black but somehow doing a spin on African neck rings is dangerously close to appropriation? Hand me the barf bag please!

It's that stupid fuck "woke" judge Elaine. She is annoying as hell!!!!

First with her p.c. saving of Frankie over Cavanagh in the first episode, and now accusing Hester of "cultural appropriation" in this challenge! I cannot stand this woman.

They have got to get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2019 8:27 PM

[quote] So Hester's model is black but somehow doing a spin on African neck rings is dangerously close to appropriation? Hand me the barf bag please!

Michael Kors and Tim Gunn would never put up with that shit.

ALL FASHION is cultural appropriation and borrowed from other cultures, and it has been done throughout the history of the world!!

So are African American designers not supposed to design European styles either, because THAT would be 'cultural appropriation?'

This whole CA bullshit has gotten out of hand, and it really needs to stop being encouraged. She should be building bridges between cultures and not building walls. Elaine is no worse than DJT.

by Anonymousreply 76April 5, 2019 8:35 PM

Preach R76!

by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2019 9:01 PM

Agree about the cultural appropriation comment...WTF was that? And Kovid should have 100% been sent home. I don't like that stylist chick they dragged on to help Christian. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2019 9:16 PM

This is the first episode where Christian actually seemed human. I think having the stylist there is helpful *for him*. They bounce ideas off each other.

by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2019 10:03 PM

Let's be positive. I think we should give Christian and Karli time to get used to their new roles. They have an uphill, right? It's hard to get Tim and Heidi's voices out of your head when you hear the iconic lines of the show. It might take a season or two for them to try to develop their own imprint. Hopeful about Karli because she's supposed to be reasonable and she's BFFs with Blasberg so arguably there's that additional direct line to some of the bigger names in the field.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2019 10:53 PM

[quote] I felt terrible for them being subjected to such miserable conditions.

And on STATEN ISLAND no less!!

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2019 11:04 PM

And they thought they were going on a trip to Paris or London or somewhere fancy, lol.

by Anonymousreply 82April 5, 2019 11:06 PM

[quote] And they thought they were going on a trip to Paris or London or somewhere fancy, lol.

OMG. That was kind of sad.

by Anonymousreply 83April 5, 2019 11:08 PM

I know. They had their passports ready and all they really needed was some toll money.

Who goes camping in Staten Island?

by Anonymousreply 84April 5, 2019 11:10 PM

I’m good with both Christian and Karli NOT being carbon copies, or trying to mimic Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum. That would be a disaster, I think. They have to be authentic to themselves (especially Christian), or else they look phony. I especially love Christian’s active mentoring. That’s what mentoring really is... one on one with the mentee, giving them concrete AND existential advice.

by Anonymousreply 85April 5, 2019 11:10 PM

I had no idea Staten Island even had woodland areas.

by Anonymousreply 86April 5, 2019 11:14 PM

Oh woah. Karli Kloss is married to Joshua Kushner?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 5, 2019 11:30 PM

Where were you last thread when we went in circles about this r87....?

by Anonymousreply 88April 5, 2019 11:38 PM

The Kushner boys' Silver Fox Daddy has a secret life. He's the one who introduced Golan Cipel to "Gay American" Jim McGreevey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 5, 2019 11:42 PM

Sorry. Missed the last thread

by Anonymousreply 90April 5, 2019 11:44 PM

[quote]The Kushners hated how Kloss was not Jewish and the family, who were billionaires thanks to their real estate empire, thought that a Victoria's Secret model was beneath them. Family friends mocked Kloss as 'the lingerie model' and they feared that Josh had 'doomed' the entire bloodline.

What about Ivanka?

by Anonymousreply 91April 5, 2019 11:52 PM

Cultural Appropriation is the Emperor’s new clothes.

by Anonymousreply 92April 5, 2019 11:54 PM

Ivanka converted to Judaism. Also, she has a degree from business school and a successful jewelry company.

by Anonymousreply 93April 5, 2019 11:57 PM

Karlie converted too. But they thought she was dumb...

[quote]Jared supposedly said: 'Don't worry. The family is going to take care of that. We're not very happy about him dating a shiksa. We're hoping he'll move on'. Jared also supposedly added: 'She's not that smart'. The tensions were so bad that Josh told Gary Cohn, Trump's former economic adviser, that he was not allowed to bring Kloss to family gatherings for six years. When Josh protested that Jared had done exactly the same thing as him with Ivanka Trump, he was told it was different. Ward writes: 'Ivanka, they explained, was different. She was a Trump. She was also, like Jared, real estate royalty. And she'd attended an Ivy League school, the University of Pennsylvania. 'Kloss grew up in Webster Groves, Missouri, a suburb of St Louis, and hadn't even been to college when she and Josh began dating'.

by Anonymousreply 94April 5, 2019 11:59 PM

Fuck that. Josh may be great (idk) but why would you want to marry into that family? She wasn't allowed to go to family gatherings for six years? Screw that. She could probably have found some other rich guy who would appreciate her. Even if she is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 95April 6, 2019 12:03 AM

Damn! There is no way I'd marry someone whose family wouldn't meet me for 6 years.

And the fact that they have no issue with Ivanka tells me all I need to know about his family.

If I was Karlie I snipe back that the chances of me being indicted are 0%.

by Anonymousreply 96April 6, 2019 12:55 AM

R95 I can tell that most of you all in this thread have not actually seen Joshua outside of photos huh? Watch him for even a minute and you'd know what is up with that marriage even without knowing the extra details about his 'bff' Mikey or without Karlie's old rumours. Either way you're right she made an really stupid decision to marry into that family.

R80 I suspect It's the other way round with Blasberg using Karlie instead. I know its hard to believe because she made hardly no impact in the minds of the general public but she already has connections to everyone in fashion because she was a big deal in fashion for a while. Tom and Lorenzo even mention it in their recap this week.

by Anonymousreply 97April 6, 2019 1:14 AM

Karlie got the Kute Kushner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 6, 2019 1:24 AM

[quote]He is suppppperrr gay. It's beyond obvious. Rumor is he's with his "best friend" Mikey who is ALWAYS around.

Never heard Josh speak before. But I had heard Karlie and Taylor Swift were a couple. Plus ca change...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99April 6, 2019 1:36 AM

He’s cute but that family is not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 100April 6, 2019 1:45 AM

This elitist attitude from a family whose patriarch ended up in the slammer?

by Anonymousreply 101April 6, 2019 4:39 AM

She was right to point out the cultural appropriation thing because designers are getting hit with that now. That's just smart real world advice in the age of takedown by social media mobs. Designers have to be extremely aware of what they are sending down the runway and how it's going to be photographed and presented to consumers. I didn't see blackface in Katy Perry's shoes or that Gucci sweater, but someone did and it created a shitstorm. Regardless of my personal feelings on the subject, when you are trying to sell a product you have to be keenly aware of and sensitive to things like cultural appropriation and things that may come off as racist. It didn't matter that her model was black, the designer was white.

by Anonymousreply 102April 6, 2019 6:52 AM

What a f*cked up concept. Culture appropriation across the world is what keeps cultures alive.

by Anonymousreply 103April 6, 2019 9:02 AM

Cultural appropriation is problematic when someone other than the source culture benefits financially from said appropriation. Which would be the case here, so it's good she pointed it out.

by Anonymousreply 104April 6, 2019 9:45 AM

Don’t buy spices at the grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 105April 6, 2019 9:49 AM

Jesus Christ, more PC shit. Cultural appropriation - more bullshit from the SJW "permanently offended" crowd. When will she call out the black designers for appropriating European culture? Never. It's fucking sickening. Live life and stop looking for ways to pretend you're offended just to call attention to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 106April 6, 2019 10:29 AM

[quote] It didn't matter that her model was black, the designer was white.

By your own explanation, that'd add to the equation.

by Anonymousreply 107April 6, 2019 12:09 PM

[quote]When will she call out the black designers for appropriating European culture?

Wendy Williams got into the mix one day on her show. She blasted a white actress for "trying to act black," as she stood there in her blonde wig. (Ironically, growing up she claimed she was harassed by black kids for acting/talking white.)

Cultural appropriation or not (not!) Hester's dress was a winner (it actually moved) and made Renee's look like a Hefty bag in comparison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108April 6, 2019 12:12 PM

Hester's dress actually moved as the model walked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109April 6, 2019 12:14 PM

r102 is sadly right. In this woke times it does happen that sites and stores have to take (fashion) items off their sites or shelves, because they are considered offensive (or problematic) to some group, or several groups, of people. The only brand that doesn't care about that is the Trump MAGA brand.

by Anonymousreply 110April 6, 2019 12:27 PM

No one outside the US should be wearing or selling blue jeans.

by Anonymousreply 111April 6, 2019 12:29 PM

So that tribe in Africa are the only ones who are allowed to wear jewelry that looks like that? Give me a fucking break! I've seen plenty of people wearing piles of necklaces and bracelets for years. The rest of the outfit doesn't look "Afrocentric" to me at all. By the way, there are Asian tribes that do the neck stretching thing too. Who appropriated it from whom?

by Anonymousreply 112April 6, 2019 12:34 PM

And Vikings and Celts also wore dreadlocks.

by Anonymousreply 113April 6, 2019 12:36 PM

r112, the point is that it's NOT a US based cultural thing.

The general public associates certain styles and thing with different races and cultures. And that's that. In the past nobody made a fuss about boys and girls dressed up as Native Americans or samurai sword wielding ninjas, but we live now in different times where people feel they should be more considerate and respectful towards other people and their cultures.

by Anonymousreply 114April 6, 2019 12:38 PM

When a tribe in Africa is offended, then call me.

by Anonymousreply 115April 6, 2019 12:42 PM

R93

Please provide evidence that Ivanka "got degree from business school" based on her intelligence and that financial reports to support notion that she ran a "successful jewelry company"

by Anonymousreply 116April 6, 2019 12:46 PM

Oh, ok. So nobody born in America is allowed to be inspired by any culture that isn't "US based." But definitely not Native Americans, unless you're 100% Native American like Patricia.

This is why everyone hates SJWs.

by Anonymousreply 117April 6, 2019 12:48 PM

[quote] No one outside the US should be wearing or selling blue jeans.

Now ask yourself where demin is milled.

by Anonymousreply 118April 6, 2019 12:51 PM

Started in France but US added the rivets.

by Anonymousreply 119April 6, 2019 12:55 PM

Why is it so wrong to be reminded to be respectful and considerate of other people and their culture? Because that's not how it was done in the past? In the past it was ok to be dismissive about gays, that changed thankfully. This outrage trolling over PC Culture is just a dog whistle for entitled conservatives who fear their superiority complex is being threatened by having to at least acknowledge other people than themselves.

by Anonymousreply 120April 6, 2019 1:01 PM

Do these Cultural Appropriation rules just apply to clothes and food or does it apply across the board into technology? Really who should be allowed to fly in an airplane? Or own and use a telephone?

by Anonymousreply 121April 6, 2019 1:01 PM

R120, I’m far from conservative but I recognize that this new Appropriation rule is where creativity goes to die. Throughout the course of humanity, we have all shared ideas and grown through utilizing each other’s cultures. It’s what humans do. We create together. We always have. But now some want to build walls. No blending, no sharing means rigidity and eventual stagnation. This is what walls do. All great artists throughout histort have copied from each other and then developed an original voice. Study art and you’ll quicky see that.

by Anonymousreply 122April 6, 2019 1:10 PM

*history

by Anonymousreply 123April 6, 2019 1:10 PM

*quickly

by Anonymousreply 124April 6, 2019 1:11 PM

[quote]Why is it so wrong to be reminded to be respectful and considerate of other people and their culture?

Well, first of all, because you sound like an uptight patronizing scold. And second of all, because you don't understand that "being inspired by" and "being respectful and considerate" are two concepts that can co-exist. Wearing someone's native clothing as a costume is bad. Wearing blackface is bad. Finding inspiration for a piece of freaking jewelry in another culture is not mocking or disrespectful. Why is this is so difficult for you?

Imagine if all these other cultures were told that they should stop selling all their clothing, jewelry, decor and souvenirs to tourists because it's now "cultural appropriation." I'm sure that would go over just great!

by Anonymousreply 125April 6, 2019 1:12 PM

R 120, we're not talking about white people donning native American garb and doing a drunken Tomahawk chop, nor are we talking about Mickey Rooney is Breakfast at Tiffany's. We're talking about serving sushi at a luncheon or wearing multiple necklaces. There's a difference here that, unfortunately, the SJWs don't acknowledge, because it doesn't let them scream and get publicity.

by Anonymousreply 126April 6, 2019 1:14 PM

Ugh! This thread explains to me why Trump was elected.

by Anonymousreply 127April 6, 2019 1:17 PM

Please stop using Yiddish expressions if you are not Jewish. It wounds, you schmucks.

by Anonymousreply 128April 6, 2019 1:26 PM

Please stop eating with chopsticks.

by Anonymousreply 129April 6, 2019 1:27 PM

Do all Italians get to eat pizza guilt-free, or just the Neapolitans?

by Anonymousreply 130April 6, 2019 1:29 PM

Boycott Outback Steakhouse!

by Anonymousreply 131April 6, 2019 1:30 PM

Skiing is for mountain folk.

by Anonymousreply 132April 6, 2019 1:31 PM

Renee's look was terrible. It was something that a child would make on a rainy day. It reminded me of the Hospital episode on AbFab.

Nurse: [looking at what Edina is wearing] Mary! Mary, come in here a minute and look at this

Nurse Mary: Mother of God! What is it?

Nurse: You know, my daughter could get away with wearing something like this?

Eddie: Maybe she'd get away with it, but I doubt very much if she'd be able to afford it!

Nurse: Why, she's only three years old.

by Anonymousreply 133April 6, 2019 1:34 PM

Kaftans are for Mesopotamians.

by Anonymousreply 134April 6, 2019 1:36 PM

Elaine runs it down for you heathens (LOL)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135April 6, 2019 1:39 PM

[quote] I’m far from conservative but I recognize that this new Appropriation rule is where creativity goes to die.

Translation: Others than white folk will invent stuff! That's bad, really bad!

by Anonymousreply 136April 6, 2019 1:40 PM

R135, let's talk about "diversity." Look at the panel. Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 137April 6, 2019 1:41 PM

OMG. Black women with straight hair, looking like Pocahontas ( and not Warren). How about we start there?

by Anonymousreply 138April 6, 2019 1:43 PM

[quote] Well, first of all, because you sound like an uptight patronizing scold. And second of all, because you don't understand that "being inspired by" and "being respectful and considerate" are two concepts that can co-exist. Wearing someone's native clothing as a costume is bad. Wearing blackface is bad. Finding inspiration for a piece of freaking jewelry in another culture is not mocking or disrespectful. Why is this is so difficult for you?

You know what else is bad? Releasing a product and facing backlash because a group (or several groups of people) find it offensive. That's what you call a PR nightmare. You think that can be resolved by using your comment as official press release? Patronizing scold, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 139April 6, 2019 1:43 PM

There are some people that only see the world through skin color. R136 is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 140April 6, 2019 1:44 PM

Girls! Girls! Please, Girls!! ALL Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 141April 6, 2019 1:46 PM

[quote] Throughout the course of humanity, we have all shared ideas and grown through utilizing each other’s cultures. It’s what humans do. We create together. We always have. But now some want to build walls. No blending, no sharing means rigidity and eventual stagnation. This is what walls do. All great artists throughout histort have copied from each other and then developed an original voice. Study art and you’ll quicky see that.

What really happened was that others take credit for other people's work. And in this social media times that does no longer fly anymore.

by Anonymousreply 142April 6, 2019 1:46 PM

[quote] There are some people that only see the world through skin color. [R136] is one of them.

I just saw right through your dog whistle rhetoric.

by Anonymousreply 143April 6, 2019 1:47 PM

Pls don't use "dog whistle" as an adjective. It's offensive to me.

by Anonymousreply 144April 6, 2019 1:56 PM

You can use it as an adjective all you like, just make sure to squeeze a hyphen in there.

by Anonymousreply 145April 6, 2019 3:10 PM

Several of the models looked like bag ladies. Hester should have won.

Please get out of the woods and return to civilization.

by Anonymousreply 146April 6, 2019 3:46 PM

I'm starting to like the new show. Karlie, Christian, and the judges have started to click and the show might be better now than the old one. Karlie and Christian are less annoying than Heidi and Tim, and they don't try to make the show about them rather than the designers.

by Anonymousreply 147April 6, 2019 3:54 PM

Tim never made the show about him.

by Anonymousreply 148April 6, 2019 4:24 PM

Agree r148. That is a ludicrous thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 149April 6, 2019 4:28 PM

R147 types publicist/producer.....or perhaps stupid...

by Anonymousreply 150April 6, 2019 4:34 PM

It bugged me that the judges oohed and ahhed over the empty water bottle that was carried down the runway by Renee’s model. Brandon said something like, “Ooh, when I saw that I immediately thought, ‘I don’t know what that is but I want it!!’”

If the judges continue to say stupid shit like that, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to sit through their meaningless critiques.

by Anonymousreply 151April 6, 2019 4:36 PM

The main beef with cultural appropriation is that other's get rich off the hard work of others. And then get credited for creating it, when all they did was bring it the masses. Elvis Presley was the king of cultural appropriation. He brought black music to white people.

And it happens on the other side too, but it's not appropriation, it's assimilation. The only thing Beyoncé didn't change about herself to make her more pleasing to white people, was her voice. Look at Whitney. Look at Julie Chen's eye job. OJ didn't change his look, but he changed everything else to make himself more acceptable to whites. And there was a time if you wanted crossover appeal you needed to whiten yourself up.

Take down by social media is a real thing. Getting pissed off about it and blaming SJWs and woke people isn't going to put the genie back in the bottle. If you want to survive in this brave new world, you adjust and carry on.

by Anonymousreply 152April 6, 2019 5:03 PM

I thought Hester’s was the clear winner. Renee’s just looked like a mess (I thought she was in the bottom).

by Anonymousreply 153April 6, 2019 5:12 PM

And how many black artists got rich once Elvis made white people aware of them and their music? He did more to bring awareness to black artists than any black artist did for others.

by Anonymousreply 154April 6, 2019 5:13 PM

Hester's outfit was attractive & would've probably won if it was a traditional unconventional challende. The kinds we've seen from the start. They take these items & make something fashionable. Like Sebastion did.

However, this challenge was to create an outfit that would withstand the elements. Something that demonstrated a way to survive out there. Hester's outfit wouldn't survive jackshit. She made a party dress with the stuff. That wasn't the challenge.

by Anonymousreply 155April 6, 2019 5:21 PM

What was so amazing about the stitched-up white bandage dress? The one underneath the sleeping bag coat. I wasn’t getting the hosannas being draped over that one by the judges. It looked like something the Bride of Frankenstein would wear to a cocktail party.

by Anonymousreply 156April 6, 2019 6:18 PM

R156, that's because, as Nina would always remind us that the designers were designing for New York. I guess bandages are high fashion in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 157April 6, 2019 6:40 PM

r156, it had a zipper. A ZIPPER. Seriously, the judges went crazy over a zipper in that design.

by Anonymousreply 158April 6, 2019 6:44 PM

This season gets better with each episode.

by Anonymousreply 159April 6, 2019 6:58 PM

It would be hard to get worse...

by Anonymousreply 160April 6, 2019 8:02 PM

Did they show how Hester made that garment? It was really well-done, especially given the circumstances. I don't remember seeing it being made all though.... but I may not have paid attention to the whole thing.

[quote]Renee's look was utter shit..I felt like was being gaslit.

[quote]Renee's outfit (on the other end of the spectrum) was equally horrid. The way the judges were just raving about it, made me think that I was losing my mind!

lol - agree with both of you totally. It was like an April Fools show. That thing was hideous and weird.

And also, I agree so much with this thread in general. Kovid clearly had the worst garment and it's time for him to go.

by Anonymousreply 161April 6, 2019 8:57 PM

[quote] Kovid clearly had the worst garment and it's time for him to go.

Which means that Kovid will probably be in the finale.

Because that's how Project Runway works. It's clearly no longer about talent or actual design.

by Anonymousreply 162April 6, 2019 9:01 PM

You'd think the guy who grew up in a hut in Samoa & became a designer would've just as much of a "story" as Kovid ? Or what is driving this exactly?

I haven't watched PR since it moved to Lifetime & now that it's back, it seems that the designers' backgrounds / stories are very prominent. I don't remember it being like this in the old days except rare moments.

by Anonymousreply 163April 6, 2019 9:48 PM

Only the Japanese should be allowed to wear a kimono but most Japanese todaydon’t want to wear a kimono, especially the young who think it’s old and boring. Their grandparents wore them. So let the kimono move into a museum and then all peoples can go look at one hanging on the wall behind a plane of glass.

by Anonymousreply 164April 6, 2019 11:12 PM

Pane

by Anonymousreply 165April 6, 2019 11:23 PM

Afa was wonderful. I hope he doesn't have to go back to living in a hut without water and electricity. Someone out there will recognize how good he is.

by Anonymousreply 166April 6, 2019 11:49 PM

I just finished watching the episode. Thanks to bootleg content hijackers! Here's my take;

I hated to see Afa go. I teared up over his departure. But, I agree with the Judges' evaluations. He did not use many of the materials, and of those that he did use, he did not really manipulate them well. I felt beach, vacation, and souvenir shop, from his submission. I did not feel survivor. However, Kovid should have been "out" too. Someone aptly described his submission as the "Wizard of Oz" gone wrong. It definitely was! If I had to choose between the two it would have been Kovid that would have gone home. I believe that it is only his personality that is saving him. Afa should have been given a pass like the passes that were given to Frankie and Rakan.

Looking at the episode I do see why Renee won. She was the winner because she did answer the challenge and she did manipulate the materials well. I felt survivor. I don't understand why the Judges went crazy over her model carrying a water bottle though. I mean had she reconstructed the bottle into a pocketbook or something then maybe, yes.

Hester just made a beautiful and well constructed outfit. She didn't address the challenge. which leads me to my disappointment that the Judges didn't not truly recognize the hard and meticulous work that went into some of these outfits. You had Hester's bustier; Tessa's loomed material; and Sebastian's leaves. All amazing work.

Finally, I've read the argumentative 20 postings above. I suppose it's good to get it all out and hopefully that can lead to a better understanding of each other, (I'll write about my thoughts about the GUCCI sweater in another post), but what keeps running through my mind as I read and am reading the debate posts is Rakan's story. Here is someone who has seen the worst of destruction (he's from Syria) and yet he can still laugh, create, love, and LIVE! There's something to be said about that.

by Anonymousreply 167April 7, 2019 12:00 AM

I love Afa, but there was really nothing reedeemable about his outfit. As Nina pointed out at least Kovid made some nice pants.

by Anonymousreply 168April 7, 2019 12:03 AM

I love the way Garo manipulated the fishing lures across his model's bustline. I thought it was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 169April 7, 2019 12:13 AM

Renee followed the challenge the best, Afa followed the challenge the worst.

by Anonymousreply 170April 7, 2019 12:17 AM

[quote] I didn't see blackface in Katy Perry's shoes or that Gucci sweater, but someone did and it created a shitstorm. Regardless of my personal feelings on the subject, when you are trying to sell a product you have to be keenly aware of and sensitive to things like cultural appropriation and things that may come off as racist.

And, that's why everyone should embrace and value diversity--especially corporate America. Had it been a more diverse company, the design concept of that GUCCI sweater might have been caught and questioned. It is simply incomprehensible to me that in today's environment that there are those who do not see a need to be diverse. I mean, an all male panel discussing female health without any input from females? C'mon....

A lot of misunderstandings could be avoided too. The designer of the sweater did speak out. While he did see and understand all of the brouhaha about that sweater (he apologized for that) his inspiration for the sweater was to pay homage to another designer, Leigh Bowery

"The fact that, contrarily to my intentions, that turtle-neck jumper evoked a racist imagery causes me the greatest grief."

Just one big misunderstanding. BUT, it did open the eyes of GUCCI and made the company very aware of the importance of diversity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171April 7, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote] Renee followed the challenge the best, Afa followed the challenge the worst.

Wow, that was SO thought provoking, R170.

by Anonymousreply 172April 7, 2019 1:19 AM

Well, some people were struggling with it.

by Anonymousreply 173April 7, 2019 1:38 AM

I don't even understand how one would get into this jacket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 7, 2019 1:48 AM

I really like Tessa's work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175April 7, 2019 2:13 AM

Elaine, Cun-Tessa and Fester are the future of American women.

Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 176April 7, 2019 2:16 AM

The kaftan is ancient Mesopotamian in origin. It may be made of wool, cashmere, silk, or cotton, and may be worn with a sash.

Well there you have it, queens. Only Mesopotamians are allowed to wear a kaftan ( caftan). The rest of you are guilty of cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 177April 7, 2019 3:12 AM

What about earnings?

by Anonymousreply 178April 7, 2019 3:20 AM

If the ancient Mesopotamians were still around, it would be cultural appropriation because someone else would be benefiting financially from their cultural heritage. But they're not. This is all so simple, people. It's common sense, not fucking trigonometry.

by Anonymousreply 179April 7, 2019 3:21 AM

[quote]You'd think the guy who grew up in a hut in Samoa & became a designer would've just as much of a "story" as Kovid ? Or what is driving this exactly?

He didn't run around giggling and shrieking like a 12-year-old girl. Too boring for the PR producers, I guess.

I've hated Kovid from the beginning but now I feel absolutely repulsed by his stupid antics. He reminds me of Unicorn Boy.

by Anonymousreply 180April 7, 2019 3:23 AM

Do these Cultural Appropriation rules just apply to clothes and food or does it apply across the board into technology? Really who should be allowed to fly in an airplane? Or own and use a telephone?

Darling, l love that you mad a point. It was a dull point. Dull as in stupid. Dull as in not sharp. But you made it, darling, and nobody can take that away from you.

by Anonymousreply 181April 7, 2019 3:56 AM

This is why that stupid fucking Elaine judge needs to go.

She is so fucking pc/woke that she makes me sick. I can't stand the sight of her face, and it's only been five episodes.

by Anonymousreply 182April 7, 2019 3:59 AM

Is Unicorn Boy any relation to Bat Boy of the Boys of East Hampton?

You know a friend of mine married one of those East Hampton Boys and she died of cancer.

I'm just saying.

by Anonymousreply 183April 7, 2019 4:14 AM

Have we still not resolved this cultural appropriation shit already?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 7, 2019 4:23 AM

^ I meant to add, they showed that pic to people all over China & they said they loved it and she looked great. A few of them added "yeah it's fine as long as she's not fat."

R179 - are you saying that if an American sold her that dress, that is cultural appropriation? Because an American would've profited off of copying this from the Chinese? But, if she bought it directly from China, then it's ok? You don't see how that stifles creativity and innovation at all, then - or am I missing your point?

by Anonymousreply 185April 7, 2019 4:27 AM

[quote] Have we still not resolved this cultural appropriation shit already?

That dumb bitch Elaine, raised the issue.

Funny how it was never a problem in the past 15 seasons of Project Runway. Until they added HER to the judging panel.

by Anonymousreply 186April 7, 2019 4:32 AM

Hmm... so, I see we have a troll on this thread....

by Anonymousreply 187April 7, 2019 4:34 AM

That's because she's "woke," R186.

by Anonymousreply 188April 7, 2019 5:38 AM

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 189April 7, 2019 5:42 AM

What she’s mostly “woke” to, R186, is how to use her own limitations and prejudices to garner attention that rightfully belongs to others with greater technical skills, and talent for being inclusive in their approach to their work.

by Anonymousreply 190April 7, 2019 10:01 AM

R34---Please examine Christian S, I believe he also has a strange comb-over situation going on. Need confirmation. TYIA.

by Anonymousreply 191April 7, 2019 4:57 PM

Hester’s outfit was stunning, down to the boots. Didn’t care for Sebastian´s outfit, too stiff and no way a survivor outfit.

There were some good pieces in the collection. That skirt that had seeds or whatever in the front was great. The top not so much.

Though I really admire his enthusiasm and energy and attitude, I really want that dorky Indian to go. He isn’t a very good designer.

by Anonymousreply 192April 7, 2019 6:29 PM

Project Runway has lost its way. I will no longer be watching.

by Anonymousreply 193April 7, 2019 7:16 PM

I admit that I know absolutely nothing about fashion. However, that winner this week was hideous.

As much as I hate Hester, her outfit was really cool.

Can someone explain to me like I'm a 5 year old how that weird thing won the challenge?

by Anonymousreply 194April 7, 2019 7:17 PM

[quote] Funny how it was never a problem in the past 15 seasons of Project Runway. Until they added HER to the judging panel.

Sure, SHE, and PC Culture, are the problem. And Fuck #metoo in the ass, too! Some folk got way to uppity these days! Someone should remind them of their place!

by Anonymousreply 195April 7, 2019 7:25 PM

r195 is /s in case someone doesn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 196April 7, 2019 7:26 PM

R194 Her design fit the brief best. The first thing they teach anyone at design school is that your design fitting the brief is the most important aspect of designing. The brief is the set of intructions your client gives you, in this case the brief was that the design had to be out of the unconventional materials and that it had to be survival wear. The survival wear bit is what most of the deisgners forgot. The second thing they teach you is that no matter how pretty you make your design the client will get mad if it doesn't fit the brief. Hester's outfit was the prettiest but it did not fit the brief of survival wear well, Renee's did so she won.

This is why Afa went home over Kovid because Kovid's outfit though butt ugly was more like survival wear than Afa's design.

It's also the same reason Hester won in the third episode over Sebastian, Sebastian's look was the best outfit but the brief of the challenge was to make an editorial look and Hester's outfit was more editorial.

by Anonymousreply 197April 8, 2019 1:15 AM

I think that R195 was being sarcastic.

Btw, who exactly is this Elaine woman, and what are her design/fashion credentials?

KKKarlie introduces her as "journalist," but not "fashion journalist."

It sounds like she doesn't even belong on the panel.

by Anonymousreply 198April 8, 2019 1:25 AM

And who’s the guy judge?...

by Anonymousreply 199April 8, 2019 1:28 AM

Apparently R199, Brandon is a designer.

I've never heard of him, though.

by Anonymousreply 200April 8, 2019 1:32 AM

[quote]It sounds like she doesn't even belong on the panel.

how dare you, she was editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue!

by Anonymousreply 201April 8, 2019 1:34 AM

They had better be paying Nina a lot....

by Anonymousreply 202April 8, 2019 1:36 AM

[quote] Elaine Marie Welteroth (born December 10, 1986) is an American journalist and editor. In April 2016, Welteroth was named editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, making her the second person of African-American heritage in Condé Nast's 107-year history to hold such a title. Her promotion to editor at age 29 makes her the youngest in Condé Nast history to become editor. When she became beauty director of Teen Vogue in 2012, Welteroth was the first person of African-American heritage to serve in the role. She is credited for the notable increase of Teen Vogue coverage of politics and social justice, encouraging readers to become civically engaged, specifically during the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Well that certainly explains it. She's like the AOC of the fashion world.

[quote] Under Welteroth's leadership of Teen Vogue's shifting format, the magazine developed its first YouTube channel, featuring content on diverse subjects from campus style to cultural appropriation. The final print edition of Teen Vogue was December 2017.

Wait, so does that mean that she brought about the demise of "Teen Vogue?" Rofl.

Looks like the readers didn't want to read about her "cultural appropriation" bs, either.

[quote] On January 11, 2018, Welteroth resigned from Teen Vogue and moved to California and signed with CAA.

Now she wants to be a STAH!

Good luck with that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203April 8, 2019 1:46 AM

He should have been a star!

Rami Kashou

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 8, 2019 2:07 AM

Damn, Rami is one smoking hot BOTTOM!

by Anonymousreply 205April 8, 2019 2:24 AM

R197 THANK YOU! I'm definitely going to be watching the show with a whole new perspective now. Very cool.

by Anonymousreply 206April 8, 2019 2:32 AM

I think I didn't understand the brief - or maybe I didn't hear it right. I thought it was more like "outdoorsy clothes" - like Patagonia or something, mixed with the typical "unusual materials" challenge. I guess it makes sense now why Kovid stayed.

Per R203 - Elaine sounds insufferable. I suppose those credentials made her perfect for this "new" PR.

by Anonymousreply 207April 8, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote]And how many black artists got rich once Elvis made white people aware of them and their music? He did more to bring awareness to black artists than any black artist did for others.

Get the fuck out of here with that B.S.!

Ever hear of Berry Gordy?

by Anonymousreply 208April 8, 2019 5:42 AM

“Cultural appropriation” will be Elaine’s go-to issue to shoehorn into any discussion for the rest of the season. She’s clearly decided that it’s a winner for her. She apparently built her entire Teen Vogue ascension on it.

by Anonymousreply 209April 8, 2019 9:18 AM

Hmm... cute

Rami Kashou

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210April 8, 2019 12:31 PM

Rami was my favorite designer of all the contestants of all the seasons I watched. He should have won.

by Anonymousreply 211April 8, 2019 12:34 PM

R208:

Despite his critics, who called him the “dangerous” embodiment of rock and roll and rebellion, Presley’s popularity exceeded the hate. His combination of “black music” and lively performances were crucial in helping to start a new counter-cultural revolution, one that attempted to break down color barriers and awaken the youth to influences outside of what was deemed “safe.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 8, 2019 12:51 PM

I applaud PC in that it is rooted in good manners and consideration of others, but this new, extreme PC seems, to me, to have morphed into a cover for lowered standards to accommodate the lowest common denominator...

by Anonymousreply 213April 8, 2019 12:53 PM

You're determined to try to get it going, R213....

It's not going to work.

by Anonymousreply 214April 8, 2019 12:55 PM

Go fuck yourself, r214. That was my first comment on the subject, you dweeb...

by Anonymousreply 215April 8, 2019 1:02 PM

"Rami was my favorite designer of all the contestants of all the seasons I watched. He should have won."

You just want to suck his cock.

by Anonymousreply 216April 8, 2019 1:41 PM

[quote]You just want to suck his cock.

And, that's a problem?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217April 8, 2019 2:02 PM

I don't understand what you problem with Elaine is for bringing up a subject that has a) been in the news and b) caused embarrassment to several fashion brands just recently. I love you people who get angry and want to bury your head in the sand about the world we're living in and then take it out on someone for mentioning that maybe you should keep this in mind so you don't trip up.

People run to botox and fillers and plastic surgery to stay young, but the truth is as we age to stay current and youthful is to accept and embrace change. What once was inspiration is now considered cultural appropriation. A touch hello is not okay. Darkening your skin to play one of the Supremes is not okay. Asking for a blowjob in exchange for a part in a movie is not okay. Models of size is a thing. Celebrating curves is a thing.

by Anonymousreply 218April 8, 2019 2:18 PM

[quote]What once was inspiration is now considered cultural appropriation.

Exactly. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 219April 8, 2019 3:03 PM

I think that Project Runway could lose a lot of viewers, if they keep up this cultural appropriation bullshit.

It's a two way street, if the PC-police want to keep going with it.

How would non-white designers like it if white/Europeans were constantly screaming in their face about ripping off European fashion?

This really does work both ways, but apparently, only one side gets to bitch about it.

by Anonymousreply 220April 8, 2019 3:08 PM

[quote]I don't understand what you problem with Elaine is for bringing up a subject that has a) been in the news and b) caused embarrassment to several fashion brands just recently

Do you sincerely believe that was her motivation, or do you argue like a Republican and just grab onto anything that sounds good regardless of truth?

by Anonymousreply 221April 8, 2019 3:11 PM

[quote] Do you sincerely believe that was her motivation

Exactly.

I already knew that there was something up with her, when she started on her self-righteous tirade on either episode one or two, about how there's no such thing as a bossy woman, but that women are just "the boss." Or some bullshit like that.

I was like, "Okay, here we go." And I wasn't wrong.

It's going to be one long season of Preacher Elaine, telling us what to think.

by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2019 3:16 PM

r219 But it's not really closed, is it? Otherwise, this one argument wouldn't have so many posts made about it.

The same way we are able to separate inspiration from a blatant plagiarism in music and other arts, the same way we can say what cultural markers and cultural heritage are an inspiration for a fashion designer and what is a straight ripoff. If you then make money from that ripoff, you're engaging in cultural appropriation.

Having said that, I think Elaine jumped the gun in this particular case. Which sometimes happens when the one passing such a judgement is not familiar enough with the original culture themselves. I'm sure her intention was good, although saying that to someone on TV is a step away from calling them a racist, so she could maybe be more circumspect going forward.

by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2019 3:18 PM

Renee's look was not that great, but she deserved the win for actually paying attention to the requirements. It always amazes me whenever people on these shows entirely ignore part of the brief.

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2019 3:35 PM

I don’t understand why Elaine is a judge on this show.

by Anonymousreply 225April 8, 2019 3:35 PM

R223 I think she jumped the gun too. Cultural appropriation is a spectrum and there have been some cases which most of us would say is obviously wrong but Elaine decided to bring it up on a case where hardly anyone would think that Hester went too far or think that she did it in an inappropriate way. Whenever I see someone jumping the gun like that I always think that they're saying it more to play to who they think their audience is and it makes sense coming from her background in Teen Vogue.

In the longrun if she keeps bringing it up during the mildest of cases of it then she's just making it so that people will stop taking it seriously even in an egregious case. I really hope the age of faux activism that SJWs and Teen Vogue embodies ends soon because they're really not helping any cause with their kneejerk unnuanced reactions. As a nonwhite person I honestly think they're just making my life harder.

by Anonymousreply 226April 8, 2019 3:40 PM

There was no reason to add a 4th judge. If the argument is that Karlie doesn't count because she isn't as well versed in fashion as Heidi was (idk), then why the fuck did they need to add a judge with zero fashion background? Just to have someone "woke"? Ugh. If the argument was that the judging panel wasn't diverse enough, they could have surely found someone IN FASHION with credentials who would have made more sense.

by Anonymousreply 227April 8, 2019 3:42 PM

Elaine doesn’t even really know what she’s doing there.

by Anonymousreply 228April 8, 2019 3:48 PM

R227 Karlie is more versed in fashion than Heidi because of her modeling history so that's definitely not the reason, Brandon I suspect was brought on board because of his friendship with Karlie. With Elaine possibly she is there because they wanted a diverse cast and she wasn't their first choice but she was the person who accepted. Lets be real becoming one of the new judges on a show that is 17 seasons in that went famously downhill during its run is not something that would appeal to the kind of people they would have ideally liked to have cast as a judge.

by Anonymousreply 229April 8, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote] Karlie is more versed in fashion than Heidi because of her modeling history

Wait, what?

Heidi was a SUPER MODEL, in the age of the Supermodel.

Karlie is a nobody in the world of fashion, compared to Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 230April 8, 2019 5:48 PM

Both Karlie and Brandon are the poor man's Heidi Klum and Michael Kors.

Hell, Brandon might even be the poor man's Zac Posen.

by Anonymousreply 231April 8, 2019 5:49 PM

I start to like Karlie, because it seems like she cares.

I also like the part where one of the judges explains exactly why the designer was voted off the show this season.

by Anonymousreply 232April 8, 2019 5:56 PM

Heidi was a supermodel THEN. Karlie is a big model NOW.

by Anonymousreply 233April 8, 2019 6:00 PM

{quote] Heidi was a supermodel THEN. Karlie is a big model NOW.

[quote] Karlie is more versed in fashion than Heidi because of her modeling [bold] history [/bold].

by Anonymousreply 234April 8, 2019 6:04 PM

“Cultural appropriation” is just an accusation that people can throw to make themselves feel better for a diffuse set of long-simmering resentments for which there can be no recompense. It is rarely, if ever, a legitimate charge. Cultures have been borrowing from each other since the dawn of civilization. The behavior is beneficial to all. The justification that it is somehow wrong for a person to make money off of a culture that doesn’t “belong” to them is vapid and petty. I can understand that it may make some people feel bad to see others prosper using ideas in which they feel they have a proprietary interest, but not everything that makes someone feel bad is a moral offense.

by Anonymousreply 235April 8, 2019 6:10 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, Elaine has mentioned cultural appropriation exactly once so far. There's no indication it's going to become the the theme of the season. Settle the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 236April 8, 2019 6:13 PM

R231

No ----

Brandon is the poor man's Michael Kors.

Christian is the poor man's Tim Gunn

Karlie is the poor man's Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 237April 8, 2019 6:18 PM

It's all become so clownish.

Get some adults back on this show please.

by Anonymousreply 238April 8, 2019 6:24 PM

[quote]Get some adults back on this show please.

Well, aren't most of the contestants older? Over 30?

by Anonymousreply 239April 8, 2019 6:26 PM

R239 - Hard to tell. They all act like teenage girls.

by Anonymousreply 240April 8, 2019 6:30 PM

I imagine all the outrage over ONE comment by Elaine comes from a "get off my lawn" elder bigot. "Back in my days non-whites knew their place!".

by Anonymousreply 241April 8, 2019 6:31 PM

It isn’t outrage; it’s condescension. And it’s not all me.

by Anonymousreply 242April 8, 2019 6:34 PM

[quote]I imagine all the outrage over ONE comment by Elaine comes from a "get off my lawn" elder bigot. "Back in my days non-whites knew their place!".

Someone is clearly trying to make this the ONLY topic for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 243April 8, 2019 6:36 PM

Yeah this keeps coming back up my threadwatcher but it is just full of boring going in circles over the the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 244April 8, 2019 6:37 PM

R237, why are males the only poor ones. What ever happened to equal opportunity. We demand to be poor! # MeToo.

by Anonymousreply 245April 8, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]Yeah this keeps coming back up my threadwatcher but it is just full of boring going in circles over the the same thing.

And, this is what is not getting through the idiot's thick head--whoever it is! Was it worthy of mention? Yes! And, there was discussion surrounding the comment. But, whoever this is keeps bringing it up again, and again, and again, and again, and again, etc. They're on some type of agenda. That's why it's best (in my opinion) to call them out on it and ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 246April 8, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote]That's why it's best (in my opinion) to call them out on it and ignore them.

Logic is not your strong suit, huh?

by Anonymousreply 247April 8, 2019 6:49 PM

I just want to see ONE designer with original talent.

Half of this crap looks like Halloween party costumes.

by Anonymousreply 248April 8, 2019 6:56 PM

Well, here is Renee Hill's label. I guess she forgot to take this down. She can do menswear too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249April 8, 2019 6:59 PM

Most of these designers seem grifter-ish.

by Anonymousreply 250April 8, 2019 7:13 PM

I guess Renee is racist, since she only has black models.

by Anonymousreply 251April 8, 2019 7:48 PM

R230 It's not about that it's about how much fashion knowledge they have and Karlie with her career would definitely be more exposed to high fashion than Klum was. It's already clear in the way they give critique.

I'm surprised by this thread because I assumed DL would be more in touch with fashion of the last decade but a lot of people here don't seem to know who Karlie Kloss or Brandon Maxwell are.

by Anonymousreply 252April 9, 2019 2:16 AM

[quote]I guess Renee is racist, since she only has black models.

Or. . .

She can be considered inclusive or they are her relatives and are working for free.

by Anonymousreply 253April 9, 2019 7:11 AM

[quote]Well, here is Renee Hill's label. I guess she forgot to take this down. She can do menswear too.

You and R250 must be new to PR. Most of the designers have websites and stores. Tessa even said she did on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 9, 2019 7:14 AM

[quote]a lot of people here don't seem to know who Karlie Kloss or Brandon Maxwell are.

🙋🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 255April 9, 2019 10:39 AM

[quote]You and [R250] must be new to PR. Most of the designers have websites and stores. Tessa even said she did on the show.

I'm not new but I have not been a devoted viewer. Thanks for the correction. I thought I had read from one of these postings that contestants had to take down all social media while the competition was ongoing.

by Anonymousreply 256April 9, 2019 10:48 AM

Well they can't post while they are competing in NYC but they finished months ago.

Hester has an online shop for her accessories business, the berets and a couple misc things. No mention of clothing, she post s a lot of selfies wearing wacky outfits though. Anyway on Instagram she announced she was going on a trip or something for two months and would be out of contact. Then later she posted a message saying, surprise! I am on Project Runway. She is back to promoting her berets and pins. She doesn't appear to be designing clothes. She might be thrifting the stuff she is wearing and/or just sewing for herself.

She's stepped up these last two challenges. I really thought the outdoor one would reduce her to a quivering mess, between the cold weather, the uncomfortable conditions and that natural materials don't fit in with her candy-colored aesthetic. I like her ideas. Very "young" which the judges always want but not "junior". Hope she keeps it up.

by Anonymousreply 257April 9, 2019 11:50 AM

Just checked her instagram. Kinda have to admire the self branding.

by Anonymousreply 258April 9, 2019 1:52 PM

[quote]Hester has an online shop for her accessories business, the berets and a couple misc things. No mention of clothing, she post s a lot of selfies wearing wacky outfits though.

She probably wouldn't have an interest but for some reason I could see her teaching a home economics class (do schools still do that) to junior high and/or high schoolers. She would make the classes fun and I think that she could draw out the creative potential of many students.

by Anonymousreply 259April 9, 2019 2:02 PM

You mean that I can buy one of those Hester berets that has “PLZ DIE” embroidered on the front??? Bliss.

by Anonymousreply 260April 9, 2019 2:21 PM

SUNSHINE BY HESTER!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261April 9, 2019 6:12 PM

[quote]It makes sense that Hester would ultimately make it to Runway, as fashion has always been a part of her life. Her grandfather was a furrier and her grandmother worked in the textile industry, and as a young child she “used to make clothing for herself and her dolls.”

[quote]As her work becomes more prominent, she feels like she is representing Jewish women, especially culturally Jewish women. Hester says she did not grow up with these influences other than Fran Drescher, who she refers to as both a “national and Jewish treasure.” (Hard agree.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 9, 2019 6:15 PM

I really hate the contestants this season.

by Anonymousreply 263April 9, 2019 6:16 PM

Wow r261, $55 for a beret?

by Anonymousreply 264April 9, 2019 8:59 PM

If I had seen Rami barechested and wearing leather suspenders, I would have got him out of the sun. And I'd apply sunblock to his skin, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 265April 9, 2019 11:16 PM

total fugs. not a hottie in there. pitiful....who picked these losers????

by Anonymousreply 266April 9, 2019 11:26 PM

Gary Spampinato, who goes professionally by “Garo Sparo”

by Anonymousreply 267April 12, 2019 12:12 AM

Dapper Dan? Anybody heard go him?

by Anonymousreply 268April 12, 2019 12:14 AM

“A Street Farmer!”

Christian cracks me up

by Anonymousreply 269April 12, 2019 12:14 AM

Never heard of Dapper Dan

by Anonymousreply 270April 12, 2019 12:22 AM

tvOK - Christian is treating the dining designers like kindergarteners. Tim never disrespected the designers or their decisions. And if he hinted at poor time management that’s all he did - he didn’t humiliate them, scold them and/or ridicule them. The consequences were for the designers to experience. Christian has crossed the line. These are adults he’s working with!

by Anonymousreply 271April 12, 2019 12:34 AM

Who TF is “dapper dan”?

by Anonymousreply 272April 12, 2019 12:43 AM

Growing up in Northeast Ohio in the 80s we had a popular designer named “Daffy Dan”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 12, 2019 12:55 AM

“That is the OPPOSITE of street wear”

Ouch! Poor Kovid is misunderstood yet again.

by Anonymousreply 274April 12, 2019 1:13 AM

I'm late to the bootleg live stream. I guess this started at 8:30? Anyway, it's time for Kovid to say ta-ta. Another outfit that doesn't work on so many levels. I don't see or feel luxury anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 275April 12, 2019 1:15 AM

The judge asks the designer if the outfit he created has pockets.

The designer looks at the outfit that he just finished creating a few hours prior to see if it has pockets before answering “No.”

LOL

by Anonymousreply 276April 12, 2019 1:20 AM

Kovid just might survive another week....

by Anonymousreply 277April 12, 2019 1:21 AM

This woke version of PR is boring me to sleep....

by Anonymousreply 278April 12, 2019 1:22 AM

Dapper Dan is great and legendary in New York.

by Anonymousreply 279April 12, 2019 1:25 AM

Finally.

by Anonymousreply 280April 12, 2019 1:28 AM

What I'm amazed at myself is that I like Kovid's personal coat.

by Anonymousreply 281April 12, 2019 1:31 AM

At least Kovid tried to come up with street wear. The unfinished mess was anything but.

by Anonymousreply 282April 12, 2019 1:34 AM

OH! The livestream is re-running the episode!!!!

by Anonymousreply 283April 12, 2019 1:35 AM

So is the network, r283

by Anonymousreply 284April 12, 2019 1:38 AM

I hope Kovid gets sent to Brunei and they stone him for being gay. I hate this show so much. They have ruined it with their SJW antics. Tell these people to go see a fucking shrink instead of working their mess out on TV.

by Anonymousreply 285April 12, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]So is the network, [R283]

Nope.

Click the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286April 12, 2019 1:42 AM

It’s on tv again, r286! Playing as I type on Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 287April 12, 2019 1:49 AM

About Dapper Dan

Daniel Day (born August 8, 1944), known as Dapper Dan, is an American fashion designer and haberdasher from Harlem, New York.[1] His influential store, Dapper Dan's Boutique, operated from 1982–92 and is most associated with introducing high fashion to the hip hop world, with his clients over the years including Eric B. & Rakim, Salt-N-Pepa, LL Cool J, and Jay-Z. In 2017, he launched a fashion line with Gucci, with which he opened a second store and atelier, Dapper Dan's of Harlem, in 2018

So! Is he the one that was responsible for brands putting their obscene sized logos on clothing? Also, it should be noted that when GUCCI had this recent brouhaha with a sweater (posted earlier) that the CEO of the company met with him to help resolve the issue and for a big public relations spray. I guess that makes sense since he has a GUCCI fashion line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288April 12, 2019 2:05 AM

Tessa's a bitch. I hope she fucks up the next challenge.

by Anonymousreply 289April 12, 2019 2:15 AM

Imagine Elaine's horror if they chose to send a black person home during street wear week, even though it was the worst crap out there.

by Anonymousreply 290April 12, 2019 3:02 AM

Lela's look was interesting. I feel the luxury street wear but I could envision her submission as being a popular office daytime look. I could see it on the streets. I also feel "Star Wars" too. But, I thought it was well executed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291April 12, 2019 3:20 AM

Did Hester raid the closet of Pinky Tuscadero?

by Anonymousreply 292April 12, 2019 3:49 AM

Every week CunTessa has to mention how much she loves her own designs, and how she knows it's going to be the winner.

Give me a fucking break!

by Anonymousreply 293April 12, 2019 5:50 AM

Fester's vocal fry is annoying the living fuck out of me!!!

by Anonymousreply 294April 12, 2019 5:51 AM

I’m adding Venny and Bishme to the list of doable dudes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295April 12, 2019 10:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296April 12, 2019 10:21 AM

What was up with that blue jacket with the shoulder thingies? It looks like something from a Sheena Easton video.

by Anonymousreply 297April 12, 2019 10:36 AM

I loved the blue jacket. Bishme's outfit was really beautiful.

Thankfully, they dumped Kovid. I thought that they were going to torture us with his hideous designs, all the way to the finale.

by Anonymousreply 298April 12, 2019 12:49 PM

And he got waaay too much air time, r298. He was mildly entertaining but not THAT fascinating. Maybe it was because he was such a nice guy, perhaps the production wanted to give him maximum exposure.

by Anonymousreply 299April 12, 2019 12:54 PM

[QUOTE] I loved the blue jacket. Bishme's outfit was really beautiful

I totally agree. I loved Bishme’s whole outfit and was pulling for it to win. I also thought his styling of the look was really good.

Tessa is really quite insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 300April 12, 2019 12:56 PM

[quote]Maybe it was because he was such a nice guy, perhaps the production wanted to give him maximum exposure.

He is. He was so affected by Afa's departure. Maybe that was a guilty conscience?

by Anonymousreply 301April 12, 2019 12:57 PM

Hate this Bravo version of PR. The only thing that could make it any more Lifetime would be to have Ashley as a judge. As we progress through this season, I’m liking Hester more and disliking Tessa more. What was she doing forcing Sebastian off his sewing machine? Don’t they have enough machines for the designers? And why would he capitulate rather than tell her to fuck off? Bishme’s look probably wouldn’t have won on a plus sized model...

by Anonymousreply 302April 12, 2019 12:59 PM

[quote]Sebastian off his sewing machine? Don’t they have enough machines for the designers? And why would he capitulate rather than tell her to fuck off?

I thought the same thing too. Each contestant doesn't have their own sewing machine?

by Anonymousreply 303April 12, 2019 1:03 PM

I did love Sebastian’s reaction to the whole sewing machine whine.

by Anonymousreply 304April 12, 2019 1:04 PM

Rakan cracks me up. He's quite a feisty queen, isn't he?

And the editors always show him either drinking hot chocolate or eating in the lunch room. It's hilarious! And he never listens to Christian, or he gives him attitude.

I can tell he's a goner, because now the editing (including where Hester complains that Rakan never follows the challenge guidelines) seems to be showing that Rakan doesn't follow instructions.

As for the plus sized models, is it just me, or does Frankie's original model (and the one who got Nadine booted off the show) seem like anyone who gets her ends up in the bottom? Why do they keep bringing her back, if she's such a terrible walker? This model should have been gone a very long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 305April 12, 2019 1:04 PM

[quote]And the editors always show him either drinking hot chocolate or eating in the lunch room. It's hilarious! And he never listens to Christian, or he gives him attitude.

I thought it was funny when Rakan pronptly told Christian that he had not eaten since that morning and that it was time for him to eat! And, then when Christian replied that he doesn't eat for 3 days when getting ready for a show, the look that Rakan gave him!!! LOL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 306April 12, 2019 1:08 PM

Every week I hate this show more. Kovin should have gone the week before. But I would have sent Jamall home this time. At least Kovin's was flattering to his model. Jamall's was not only unfinished, but made his model look like a fat ugly frau. But god knows, they couldn't send the black guy home for streetwear week. I thought the blue jacket was tacky and that Renny should have won. That's how to make a plus sized model look good.

by Anonymousreply 307April 12, 2019 1:09 PM

[quote] Christian replied that he doesn't eat for 3 days when getting ready for a show, the look that Rakan gave him!!! LOL!!!!

Haha, Rakan looked Christian up and down then said to him, "I can tell." He's a riot.

How many fucks does Rakan give? ZERO.

by Anonymousreply 308April 12, 2019 1:15 PM

The winner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 12, 2019 1:23 PM

I agree with Brandon that Bishme's outfit (and styling) was very chic.

It was definitely street wear, but very elevated. It fit the challenge, perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 310April 12, 2019 1:25 PM

And, since we're all being socially correct and appropriate....

?????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311April 12, 2019 1:26 PM

It’s a horrible show. We quit watching.

by Anonymousreply 312April 12, 2019 1:38 PM

My top three were Garo, Bishme and Renee

The unfinished dress should've went home but he was saved because of Klovid history of always being in the bottom .

Elaine looked really beautiful last night. Like an entirely different person without the massive glasses & massive hair.

by Anonymousreply 313April 12, 2019 1:41 PM

As a Southerner I can't wait til next week to find out what look causes Brandon to say, "She needs Jesus!" LOL

by Anonymousreply 314April 12, 2019 1:43 PM

Stupid Brandon fucked up that line, R314.

The correct (Southerner) thing to say about something that's a hot mess, but you're trying to be polite is "Well, bless her heart."

by Anonymousreply 315April 12, 2019 1:46 PM

R315

He didn't screw anything up. Those are 2 sayings with 2 slightly different meanings.

by Anonymousreply 316April 12, 2019 1:51 PM

Because, except for previous winner’s choice, the models are picked at random from a bunch of cards placed face down. No model gets eliminated. Some may get unchosen, but the next week they’re back in the pile.

by Anonymousreply 317April 12, 2019 2:43 PM

R317 was a response to r305 (forgot to refresh page).

by Anonymousreply 318April 12, 2019 2:47 PM

R315

"Bless your heart" means you're an idiot/fool. It can also be used as a sweet/tactful way of saying Fuck You.

"She needs Jesus" means someone is such a mess they have passed the point of no return.

by Anonymousreply 319April 12, 2019 2:57 PM

the male judge with the bee stung lips

beyond gross and fug

must be fired asap

his chat appearance on andy cohen cemented his rep as a dumb shiz

by Anonymousreply 320April 12, 2019 3:26 PM

Ghastly show!.....simply ghastly....

by Anonymousreply 321April 12, 2019 4:46 PM

So many posters here don't know of Dapper Dan. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 322April 12, 2019 4:56 PM

R273.. Growing up in Elizabeth, NJ... we had a store called Daffy Dan's. It was a low budget clothing store. It's now no longer there.

by Anonymousreply 323April 12, 2019 5:17 PM

I've heard of Dapper Dan via a long profile in the New Yorker? some years ago. Started out making suits from overruns of fabric, with like LV logos plastered all over it. Very flamboyant. I think he was shut down because the designers were pissed about him using their brands in his own work, like implying that the suit was Vuitton. He was struggling when the article was written so it's good to know he landed on his feet.

Yet another challenge where a large component of winning involved appealing to a wide audience and ease of production.

Korvid was overdue to leave. At this point I doubt he has *any* talent. I've never seen such a hopeless contestant.

by Anonymousreply 324April 12, 2019 5:44 PM

KOVID KAPOOR

Kovid Kapoor is a Fashion Designer based in Brooklyn New York . He holds a MFA in Fashion Design from the Academy Of Art University with an aesthetic that focuses towards the luxury and high-end fashion market.

A lot of His inspiration comes from various childhood stories, world mythologies, fantasy tales that celebrate the feminine wisdom. stories about women who have acquired great achievements in art, literature, as leaders of clans and as great warrior goddesses. Trying to bring forth the narratives that are somehow lost in an unequal society and talking about these great figures to block that restricting, confining, toxic societal gaze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325April 12, 2019 5:50 PM

Well, that’s nice and all, but his taste level is pure shit. I don’t care if the garment had some female empowerment narrative behind it and its customer. If it looks like shit and is totally not flattering, it’s not going to sell.

I’m shocked that he has an MFA.

by Anonymousreply 326April 12, 2019 6:17 PM

Maybe Andy Cohen can create a show all about Kovid as he travels around Brooklyn, trying to bring forth the narratives that are somehow lost in an unequal society and talking about these great figures to block that restricting, confining, toxic societal gaze.

Or maybe he can be a bartender one night on Watch What Happens Live.

by Anonymousreply 327April 12, 2019 6:30 PM

TISSUE! I NEED TISSUE!!!

He survived his country’s anti-gay laws.

Kapoor decided to leave India after being harassed by police for being gay. On Project Runway, he revealed, “Me and my boyfriend have been together for eight years. We are from the Himalayan highlands of India, and homosexuality was still a crime in the country. One day our neighbours called the cops on us and we had to leave our home the very next day.”

Before moving to the United States, Kapoor attended the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad, and earned his BFA in fashion design. After graduating, he worked for Gaurav Gupta, an Indian fashion designer. He then worked for Surreal Pal Mall Design, a men’s wear brand. In America, he attended the Academy of Art University in San Francisco and obtained his MFA in fashion design, with an aesthetic for luxury and high-end fashion. It was here he began to develop his own personal brand, especially after realizing how different fashion was in India vs. the US. Being inspired by women, particularly, has brought his designs to a new level, celebrating female figures, feminine wisdom, fantasy, and mythology.

During eliminations in the second episode, Kapoor became emotional, saying, “When I was in school, I was laughed at because I was different and wanted to be with the girls. I have been surrounded by strong women all my life and I want to celebrate their strength with my designs.”

Mimi Tao is the first transgender model to appear on Project Runway, and the second they met, Kapoor was grateful he could use her for his design. Tao revealed she was transgender, and Kapoor immediately bowed down and hugged her. “You’re the real goddess,” he said. He also revealed in an interview for the show that the two connected because each have faced “stories of oppression.”

by Anonymousreply 328April 12, 2019 6:32 PM

Fashion seems to be transitioning from the context of aesthetics to one of social justice, I.e., lowest common denominator...

by Anonymousreply 329April 12, 2019 6:47 PM

To me Bishme's sparkly blue jacket looked like a bowling jacket. That's supposed to be the future of high end street wear?

Hester's design was a ridiculous 90s rave costume. How that was even safe ,,, To be honest I think in this episode they could've sent three designer home.

by Anonymousreply 330April 12, 2019 7:08 PM

Bushay did it in blue, so that makes it streetwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331April 12, 2019 8:58 PM

The Dapper Dan story is interesting. I've seen a bunch of articles about him. A few years ago it looked like big fashion wanted to crush him for a minute there but they brought him in instead. Not bad for a bootlegger.

by Anonymousreply 332April 13, 2019 2:47 AM

I couldn't watch after I saw Elaine's cultural appropriation of a beret.

by Anonymousreply 333April 13, 2019 3:09 AM

Mon Dieu!!...

by Anonymousreply 334April 13, 2019 1:48 PM

Haha... exactly, R333.

Anywho, I used to loathe Christian Siriano in his original season. I thought that he was a smartassed little jackass, who thought he knew everything.

Now that he's older (and probably wiser), I've noticed that he's actually a nice person. He has a funny sense of humor, and I think that he has a big heart. Still, I still notice that snarky little edge when he talks to the designers about their clothes. However, it's much more endearing now, because I know he means well.

The one thing I will say is that he lacks the gravitas that Tim Gunn had. Tim really had the respect of the designers.

With Christian, a lot of them seem to ignore his advice. Some even just outright dismiss him! I don't know if it's his small stature, or his age, or what? A lot of the designers are Christian's age or older, so that could be why.

by Anonymousreply 335April 13, 2019 5:23 PM

I hated Christian’s fat-shaming the big-boned designer. Imagine actually eating something in the course of a day!

I didn’t hate Jamal’s conception at all, but his sense of history is very fuzzy. He kept referring to the Elizabethan period, which he thought was in the 18th century (it wasn’t), then he referred to the Victorian era, which also wasn’t in the 18th century.

by Anonymousreply 336April 13, 2019 5:29 PM

The big-boned designer did end up in the bottom with an unfinished outfit so maybe Christian was right to remind him of the importance of time management.

Unlike Tim, Christian has been through this contestant process and unlike Tim and all of these contestants, Christian’s designs are currently in high demand. If I was a contestant, I certainly wouldn’t ignore his advice no matter how it’s delivered.

Oh, and he also won his season, almost forgot about that.

by Anonymousreply 337April 13, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote] The one thing I will say is that he lacks the gravitas that Tim Gunn had. Tim really had the respect of the designers.

It might come with time? You're right, though. Tim could have them questioning everything with a look. Poor Christian has to try to scare them out of their dinner break. Maybe this group needs someone to crack a whip.

by Anonymousreply 338April 13, 2019 6:07 PM

R336 How did Christian fat shame him? He was stuffing his face while his model was waiting in the work room to be fitted. He couldn’t get that food in his mouth fast enough! Obviously he had a point as he almost went home and ended up in the bottom 2. The guy was probably on his 2nd or 3rd meal of the day.

by Anonymousreply 339April 13, 2019 6:16 PM

[quote] I hated Christian’s fat-shaming the big-boned designer.

I definitely don't think that Christian fat-shamed Rakan.

He was speaking to all three of the designers who were "on break." He was basically questioning how they could sit there wasting time, when it was only a one day challenge.

Rakan piped up and said that he was done, but then Christian called him on it later, and pointed out all of the things that were unfinished with Rakan's design.

Christian in no way shamed him for eating or for "being fat." He shamed him for not focusing on his garment, when there was so much to do.

by Anonymousreply 340April 13, 2019 6:25 PM

R340 Don’t you know that you can’t question obese people when it’s feeding time less you be accused of “fat shaming”

by Anonymousreply 341April 13, 2019 6:29 PM

The lunch break was oddly timed since the designers only have their models for 30 minutes. Christian talked with the model, who was waiting for her designer in the work room, and he hadn't put her in the dress which makes me wonder if the designers know exactly when the models show up and usually schedule things like lunch break around that and for some reason the models arrived sooner than expected?

So far whenever Christian raised a concern with a designer (and the designer decided to ignore Christian) the designer was in the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 342April 13, 2019 6:37 PM

I'm watching the PR marathon on Bravo, and Afa was so robbed.

His garment was no different from Tessa's or Garo's. All three of them were skimpy. Tessa's was barely covering her model, and it had the same netting that Afa's had, except that it was even more sheer AND she put her model in nothing but underwear.

Afa's design had shape and a silhouette, which is something that Kovid's DID NOT have. It was a lumpy sleeping bag with chains wrapped around it.

Something tells me that they just wanted Afa out, and made up reasons to get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 343April 13, 2019 6:40 PM

These designers are all awful and I’m sick of their fucking sob stories. They all need to be sent back to where they came from.

by Anonymousreply 344April 13, 2019 6:43 PM

The producers have a say in who goes home. ‘Nuff said.....

by Anonymousreply 345April 13, 2019 6:48 PM

the man judge is the worst ever

please put another man in his place soon

his appearance on a cohen show was GHASTLY

by Anonymousreply 346April 14, 2019 6:10 AM

Well the emotional guy went home.

This was a tough challenge. It’s all very much in the eye of the beholder. Felt bad for Sebastian that he didn’t understand “street wear” hell, I don’t even understand what it means.

Dint like this challenge at all.

by Anonymousreply 347April 14, 2019 7:25 AM

What is not to understand about streetwear? Branch out.

by Anonymousreply 348April 14, 2019 7:49 AM

So Dapper Dan is responsible for black people mimicking the white, vulgar and tacky nouveau riche class in a non ironical way or was he trolling white people by using their logos on his clothes?

by Anonymousreply 349April 14, 2019 8:52 AM

Is that Asian model, who was the corset designer's model, trans? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 350April 14, 2019 10:31 AM

Nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 351April 14, 2019 10:33 AM

There's a lot to miss about streetwear if you're not immersed in it. This one was hard. Half of them didn't get it. If you google streetwear it's all long ts, hoodies, sneakers but they wanted more glam Salt N Pepa? I guess that's why they kept saying lux because a lot of streetwear now is $400 to look like a 15 year old skate rat.

by Anonymousreply 352April 14, 2019 11:25 AM

Salt N Pepa?!? Thanks Nana. That's a current reference. It's not only urban and black. The first winner of Project Runway was a streetwear designer as essentially was Erin who won just a few seasons back. Both small town white kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353April 14, 2019 11:59 AM

Well, Dapper Dan did make clothes for them, hmmm? And he's from Harlem? Sooo.......

by Anonymousreply 354April 14, 2019 12:35 PM

I never said streetwear was only urban and black but they were definitely pushing that way for the challenge. This Erin person's clothes scan as young but they're about as streetwear as your mom which is why I said this challenge was Hard.

by Anonymousreply 355April 14, 2019 12:41 PM

My mother is much younger than you gramps, of that I am sure. You don't know streetwear.

by Anonymousreply 356April 14, 2019 12:45 PM

I'm probably younger than you. Keep telling yourself Erin's Urban Outfitters chic is what they wanted for a Dapper Dan challenge.

by Anonymousreply 357April 14, 2019 12:50 PM

They wanted Rosalia at Coachella on Friday!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358April 14, 2019 1:46 PM

Erin is Etsy hipster whimsical buffoonery. Her designs lack the gritty edge of streetwear.

by Anonymousreply 359April 14, 2019 1:47 PM

Rakan NEEDED to be fat- shamed. And often. He’s as big as a house and actually a rather horrible designer hiding from what I’ve seen.

That Jamal guy knows absolutely zero about the history of fashion. He was just like “I’m choosing a century when black people were oppressed” meaning. That 18th century sounded just as good as the 17th or the 19th, not even getting anywhere close to the actual Elizabethan times and the 16th century. His outfit was one of the most unfinished looks I’ve ever seen come down the runway.

by Anonymousreply 360April 14, 2019 2:08 PM

The world is dumbing down...

by Anonymousreply 361April 14, 2019 2:38 PM

If you're a career professional, you keep up with all of the aspects and trends of your field. You need to explore beyond what you already know. If you're a fashion designer, you should know about streetwear and historical periods when a certain fashion was in vogue. You never want to get caught with a question from a client you cannot answer.

by Anonymousreply 362April 14, 2019 10:47 PM

[quote]"Bless your heart" means you're an idiot/fool. It can also be used as a sweet/tactful way of saying Fuck You.

It's also used - more often than not, actually - to show empathy, like if someone is going through a tough time/experiencing a hardship.

by Anonymousreply 363April 15, 2019 12:30 AM

How come Mimi is still there, when she was the model for Afa when he was voted off?

(Sorry if that's already been discussed.)

by Anonymousreply 364April 15, 2019 12:37 AM

R363, I agree. The phrase has lots of meanings, including very positive ones.

by Anonymousreply 365April 15, 2019 12:45 AM

R364 This year the models don't get eliminated with the designer. It seems like they just bring in whatever models are available to shoot. This is probably being done so that the diverse set of models that they hired don't get eliminated too soon.

Also on previous years most of the time the model that wins the money at the end was just mostly through luck so I can understand why they got rid of the competition aspect for the models.

by Anonymousreply 366April 15, 2019 1:36 AM

A good example of streetwear is what Mary J Blige wears a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367April 15, 2019 7:55 AM

Here is Mary's glam streetwear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368April 15, 2019 7:56 AM

A 80s Dapper Dan LV look and 2017 Gucci inspired by Dapper Dan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369April 15, 2019 11:54 AM

Dan's version looks like a trash bag.

by Anonymousreply 370April 15, 2019 12:08 PM

Article with Christian Siriano. Mostly about how he's built his brand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371April 16, 2019 11:00 AM

This would have been a good week for a double elimination, but I'm very relieved that we won't have to deal with Kovid's histrionics any more. I couldn't stand it when he stood up there whining about how he gives 100% every time. Clearly he was out of his league and should have been sent home ages ago. Everything he made was so ugly and basic, and I don't find it cute and adorable when a grown man constantly prances around like a 12-year-old girl. Sashay away!

by Anonymousreply 372April 16, 2019 12:12 PM

But that’s the way many straights like their gays...

by Anonymousreply 373April 16, 2019 12:28 PM

[quote] I don't find it cute and adorable when a grown man constantly prances around like a 12-year-old girl. Sashay away!

He also cried a lot just like Anthony Ryan over a stupid competition. My goodness, if you don't want to go home -- don't put out crap and accept the fact, that there will only be one winner and your tears don't secure you a spot forever.

by Anonymousreply 374April 17, 2019 5:21 AM

Kovid is too nice and too vulnerable for any Reality TV show. In a way he reminds me of American Idol's William Hung.

by Anonymousreply 375April 17, 2019 11:40 AM

I wonder how tall Christian is. He looks tiny compared to some of these people

by Anonymousreply 376April 17, 2019 4:22 PM

William Hung was pretty hard core in the face of being laughed at by Simon Cowell and later by millions of TV viewers. No “no one understands me!” or tears, just “thank you, I did my best” with a friendly smile. And he kept it moving.

Kovid could never!!!!

by Anonymousreply 377April 17, 2019 4:31 PM

Christian is pocket-size. So when he stands next to Ms. Kloss (who is about 6'2"), he looks downright tiny.

by Anonymousreply 378April 17, 2019 5:07 PM

Sebastian is the only winner. I like the reboot, especially Christian. They finally listened and reinstated more two day challenges. But the contestants are all old and talk funny. They are fashion losers. Nina's soft pretty eyes light up everytime Sebastian's beautifully conceptualized and realized clothes hit the runway.

No more crying foreigners or fat people or 51 year old contestants please. Kovid couldn't get a job a Mood. Karlie Kloss is media friendly and very brave to kiss some of these people goodbye. But she's just so fucking instasincere. She's a virtual personality.

Keep Christian, fire the rest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379April 17, 2019 9:52 PM

It’s nice to see a little bit of love for Christian. He’s talented and hard-working and very clever. And tiny. With weird hair. He’d probably be a blast to hang out with.

by Anonymousreply 380April 17, 2019 10:31 PM

New episode tonight, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 381April 18, 2019 8:08 PM

Who will get the fat model? Who will cry? Who will be guilty of cultural appropriation?

by Anonymousreply 382April 18, 2019 8:13 PM

Elaine will be guilty of cultural appropriation for wearing a t-shirt belonging to white bigots with swimming pools.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383April 18, 2019 8:34 PM

Elaine needs a good beat down by a pack of white girls with vocal fry.

She is so VILE.

by Anonymousreply 384April 18, 2019 8:47 PM

Nina the dominatrix. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 385April 19, 2019 1:20 AM

Hester has a wife!

by Anonymousreply 386April 19, 2019 1:29 AM

Garo Sparo has some really nice arms. I didn't notice how muscular he was before. Very nice.

by Anonymousreply 387April 19, 2019 1:52 AM

The show is no longer about fashion. It's all about social statements and gimmicks. The looks are laughable. Just compare them to what was presented in the earlier years, where it was about fashion.

by Anonymousreply 388April 19, 2019 2:20 AM

I have to agree with Elaine for once. I think Hester's outfit is hideous.

My favorites were Garro and Renee.

by Anonymousreply 389April 19, 2019 2:24 AM

Hester won? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 390April 19, 2019 2:26 AM

The show is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 391April 19, 2019 2:26 AM

And she just won !

With that piece of shit plastic concoction

by Anonymousreply 392April 19, 2019 2:26 AM

On the other hand, fun Syrian did deserve to go. I’ll miss his queeny bitchiness

by Anonymousreply 393April 19, 2019 2:29 AM

Garo deserves to win. Can’t believe they were turned off by the dominatrix part of the concept.

by Anonymousreply 394April 19, 2019 2:30 AM

Why did they change the schedule so it coincides with Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 395April 19, 2019 2:46 AM

Renee said Hester's outfit was "Wakanda" so I guess she's embracing the cultural appropriation thing now.

by Anonymousreply 396April 19, 2019 2:57 AM

Oops, I mean Elaine...

by Anonymousreply 397April 19, 2019 2:57 AM

Sayonara, big girl!

by Anonymousreply 398April 19, 2019 3:06 AM

It's not red, it's bordo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399April 19, 2019 3:25 AM

Linky no worky.

by Anonymousreply 400April 19, 2019 3:27 AM

The dominatrix outfit didn't win, because the "woke" women on the panel agreed that it was a cliche look at what strong women were fantasized to be. Once again, it's not a fashion competition; it 's a PC platform for empowering women. That's pretty obvious.

by Anonymousreply 401April 19, 2019 3:53 AM

Ugh - I cannot believe Hester's hideous thing beat Garo's outfit. Her thing looked like an arts and crafts project. This woke shit is getting ridiculous. Why not just dress all women in a burka then?

by Anonymousreply 402April 19, 2019 4:17 AM

. . . And Tessa's outfit was in the top three because her model looked like an Eastern Bloc goat herder. And look! There's a hidden pocket for my mace!!

by Anonymousreply 403April 19, 2019 4:19 AM

I couldn't believe Rakan tried to pass off that ratchet video monstrosity. He really deserved to go home.

by Anonymousreply 404April 19, 2019 4:22 AM

Ughhhhh I just got to that part r403- I thought they were KIDDING me! It "almost made me cry" said the video game designer.... what? Nobody is playing a video game with Misha churning butter.

by Anonymousreply 405April 19, 2019 4:24 AM

Well, I tried to give the show a fair shot and I'm done. I have better things to do each Thurs than to waste time watching a social justice lecture show, replete with blind judges, and ugly, cartooney costumes on models who look so bored with what they are doing. It's terminated................with prejudice.

by Anonymousreply 406April 19, 2019 7:01 AM

Okay, let's admit it. Some of us are over fifty. Hester is Judy Tenuta right? I keep waiting for her to break out her accordion and call Christian her stud puppet.

I totally get why the dominatrix outfit didn't win. That is not an image of an empowered woman, as wonderfully campy and well made as it was. That's not woke feminism, it's just common sense. It's a video game meant to empower young girls not a comic book from the sixties.

Tessa should have won this challenge - I completely got her outfit and it was good fashion to me. Her model was perfect. I am going to give the episode a pass because I think the client really decided that Judy's (Tessa) getup was the only won that would work in a video game. They really do have clients sometimes. Remember when Heidi was brave enough to wear the challenge winner's dress on the cover of Elle? Nobody would take that chance anymore.

I particularly dislike the male fashion designer judge. He is trying to be the genderfluid Michael Kors. Siriano is a delight. He gives real practical and technical device, doesn't mince words or hide his feelings, yet he's so nice and helpful. This is where Tim Gunn faltered, because Tim was an administrator at Parson's, not a designer. He often gave very subjective, emotional and bad advice. Siriano is a great mentor and a wonderful designer. He's too good for this bunch.

by Anonymousreply 407April 19, 2019 7:51 AM

[quote]Hester is Judy Tenuta right?

Wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 19, 2019 11:48 AM

407 Exactly right about the dominatrix outfit. Elaine really showed how faux her feminism is with her love of it. I also I would have preferred to see Tessa's outfit win. I can understand why Hester won though I would guess the person who made the call in the end was Karlie.

I'm glad Hester got immunity just because we might finally see someone use it to go all out. I hate it seeing people play it safe when they have immunity.

by Anonymousreply 409April 19, 2019 12:00 PM

Tammi or Judy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410April 19, 2019 12:03 PM

Renee's outfit should've been in the top instead of Tessa or Hester's. The client loved it as the model was walking down the runway.

There were 2 plus size models last night. I don't know how the one with the horrible walk has made modeling a career. She can't walk for runway & she doesn't have a gorgeous face like plus size model Ashley Green.

You can't blame her horrible walk on her size because the other plus size model walked like a dream.

by Anonymousreply 411April 19, 2019 12:24 PM

This absurd version of this show makes Lifetime proud...ugh...the above poster is correct in stating that PR is no longer about fashion...

by Anonymousreply 412April 19, 2019 12:41 PM

Hester's look was shit and should have been in the bottom. Garo's was cool, but it's true that the dominatrix thing is a cliche. I hate Tessa, but sort of liked her look—I could see it working in some medieval-themed game. The sack of flour was too literal and over the top, though. Agree that Renee's look should have been in the top.

by Anonymousreply 413April 19, 2019 2:35 PM

This is so bad, I would welcome the return of the whining Kenley, the bitchy Gretchen and Ivy, psycho Ken, haughty Santino, or delusional Daniel Franco.

by Anonymousreply 414April 19, 2019 3:26 PM

I thought Tessa should have won this challenge. Clearly, Tessa did as well. It was kind of funny in retrospect watching her trash Hester's look, and then have Hester win.

by Anonymousreply 415April 19, 2019 3:29 PM

Tessa is insufferable. Rewatching last weeks episode where she bullied Sebastian off his machine, then trashed his design to his face, verbalized her feelings that Kovid should be aufed and then ‘consoled’ him when he expressed his fear of leaving, made me want to bitch slap her. That said, I didn’t mind her design this week, even though the challenge itself was stupid...

by Anonymousreply 416April 19, 2019 4:40 PM

Yeah, just the sight of Tessa's face annoys me. But I think she should have won the challenge. Hester's was cheap and homemade looking.

Renee's should perhaps have been in the top instead, but I felt like she was kind of falling back on the same look she won the camping challenge with: simple garment topped with a sash and random attachments/accessories. It was more of a top two (Garro and Tessa) for me in this challenge.

by Anonymousreply 417April 19, 2019 4:52 PM

You didn't think Tessa's was too much of a costume? I thought it was weird. I guess I'll concede to the dominatrix objections, though that was my favorite outfit.

We never see much of Sonia, but her work is always safe & looks nice. I wonder if she's a dark horse or a filler. I remember her from episode 1 because the sample dress she brought (for the mini runway show before any of the challenges) was gorgeous. Her collection online is ok... lots of the same kind of thing - shiny paisley patterns.

by Anonymousreply 418April 19, 2019 4:58 PM

Before the first show aired, Elaine spoke of the show's philosophy. It's not about fashion.

"Fashion has always been a reflection of what’s happening in the world, and this show will be a reflection of what’s happening in the world,” said Welteroth during the Television Critics Association panel for the show in February. “We do not shy away from conversations that are happening in our industry and in our world that affect women, in particular people of color. [Fashion] is the nucleus, but it is also a lens for the things that are happening in our world and specifically regarding women’s empowerment. That’s a really central theme that’s woven throughout the season.”

by Anonymousreply 419April 19, 2019 5:21 PM

Ugh Elaine. Well if that's how it's gonna be, why even tune in?

by Anonymousreply 420April 19, 2019 5:37 PM

Where's Andre??

by Anonymousreply 421April 19, 2019 5:44 PM

If that’s how it’s gonna be, why move from Lifetime...

by Anonymousreply 422April 19, 2019 7:52 PM

If you love Project Runway, don't watch this bastardization. It will only justify their new " woke" philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 423April 19, 2019 8:05 PM

What is with the obsession with PR being "woke"? It's really not any more so than it's ever been. It's always featured a diverse cast. It's always had one or two designers per season who go on and on with their sob stories about how oppressed they've been as gay men or whatever. It's always done the occasional challenge about empowering women or designing a look for a bad-ass, superhero-ish woman. And for fuck's sake, Elaine Welteroth (who actually did great things as editor of Teen Vogue) has mentioned cultural appropriation exactly once.

by Anonymousreply 424April 19, 2019 9:48 PM

The judges are " woke."

by Anonymousreply 425April 19, 2019 9:52 PM

The difference, R424, is that the show used to be about fashion. Sub-contexts were secondary to the clothes being made. Now, we get 90 minutes of everything but fashion. " Make a survival outfit for a powerful woman in the woods," or " Make a superhero outfit for an empowered woman." The sub-text has taken over the show. It's no longer about clothes; Elaine has pretty much stated that. It's about a social message. So, although we had Mondo revealing that he was HIV+ on the old iteration, the show was still about his garment, not his HIV status. That's the difference. It should have been obvious from the very first show when the blue monstrosity, which was falling apart on stage was not eliminated. Does anyone think for one minute that Kors or the old Garcia would have let that through? Of course not, because the show was about clothes, not the sob story from an incompetent designer. It seems the contestants were chosen less on their ability and more on their back story,

by Anonymousreply 426April 19, 2019 10:00 PM

Nothing wrong with being woke. The word itself is some redneck put down. The target audience is not 70 year olds. I completely agree with R424. Elaine at Teen Vogue orchestrated exciting and intelligent transformation. She made the magazine socially and politically relevant, with fashion. That's who she is. Karlie and the dude designer could be better, but Nina, Elaine and Siriano are exactly what the reboot needs.

Mondo's garment WAS his HIV status if you recall. He truly was one of the worst and most gimmicky whiny "woke" overpraised contestants the show ever featured. He looks like Hester's sex slave.

by Anonymousreply 427April 19, 2019 10:07 PM

I liked Tessa's the best. That made sense to me. A badass, kind of historical rewrite.

by Anonymousreply 428April 19, 2019 11:39 PM

Tessa’s look was a great example of the importance of hair and makeup. As a poster above noted, her model was perfect...

by Anonymousreply 429April 20, 2019 12:29 AM

R424 It's mainly just one person posting about it who is really bothered by Elaine for whatever reason probably the old cultural appropriation comment even though she was actually on the side of the dominatrix outfit this time.

Project runway has always been as much about the stories as the fashion and I'm actually finding that so far this season that they care more about the brief more than other seasons.

by Anonymousreply 430April 20, 2019 1:43 AM

I'm enjoying this season, overall. I couldn't even get more than 3 or 4 episodes into the past few Lifetime seasons before I bailed. Yeah, Elaine annoys me, the editing could be better, and there are other little things that bug me, but every season has its crappy designers and questionable judging decisions. I'm still pissed about Jeffrey Sebelia winning season 3, for example.

by Anonymousreply 431April 20, 2019 2:42 AM

Foe those who have not seen the episode.

I loved Karlie's opening ensemble. Anyone know who is it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432April 20, 2019 6:05 AM

This season is a dud. Boring would be an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 433April 20, 2019 6:07 AM

Karlie's opening dress.

It's looks as if it is in a style that Renee would have designed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434April 20, 2019 6:50 AM

Her closing dress was cute too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435April 20, 2019 6:53 AM

I think that the editors really missed out on all of the humorous Rakhan moments;

Christian: It's red

Rakhan: It's Bordeaux

Christian: It's red.....

by Anonymousreply 436April 20, 2019 7:18 AM

[quote]“We do not shy away from conversations that are happening in our industry and in our world that affect women, in particular people of color. [Fashion] is the nucleus, but it is also a lens for the things that are happening in our world and specifically regarding women’s empowerment.

You know, men consume fashion as well...

by Anonymousreply 437April 20, 2019 12:34 PM

I'm still trying to understand why a female video game character looking like a dominatrix is a bad thing. Have these people played a video game recently?

by Anonymousreply 438April 20, 2019 1:55 PM

They didn't say it was a "bad thing," they said it was a cliche, which it is. If they really didn't like it, they wouldn't have put it in the top 3.

by Anonymousreply 439April 20, 2019 1:59 PM

r436, if the editors had missed that moment, it wouldn't have been in the show.

r431, I agree. The show could be better, but it could always be better. it's definitely an improvement over the Lifetime version.

by Anonymousreply 440April 20, 2019 3:38 PM

I like the new Bravo version of this show better than the old one. Let's face it, the Lifetime(Weinstein) version was getting so tired, especially after the recent All-Stars season. The retool has given the show life again.

by Anonymousreply 441April 20, 2019 4:07 PM

I see the publicists have arrived. Give it a rest, the show’s a yawn fest...

by Anonymousreply 442April 20, 2019 5:57 PM

I miss the days when PR featured crazed black men ,wearing a white facial, threatening contestants with a hot iron.

by Anonymousreply 443April 20, 2019 6:22 PM

All of the "fashion" from all of the episodes look like Sci-fi costumes. What ever happened to taste?

by Anonymousreply 444April 20, 2019 6:22 PM

I miss the old bitchy Nina, who was never hesitant to give her caustic remarks to the designers who deserved it. This iteration is gleeful, happily joining in with the sometimes absurd opinions of the others who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. She is most disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 445April 20, 2019 6:25 PM

Take your meds, r443. Your crazy is showing...or is it stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 446April 20, 2019 6:32 PM

This show is a shit fest.

by Anonymousreply 447April 20, 2019 6:34 PM

R445

I agree. The true Nina would not be fawning all over the horrific Hester.

by Anonymousreply 448April 20, 2019 6:45 PM

Here' my issue with Venny and to a large extent, Bishme too;

Their designs and tastes are very "ghetto", and very inner city, if you will. It's as if they have never been exposed to finer things or a higher income lifestyle. Maybe they haven't. The submission by Venny below immediately reminded me of very religious, church going, Pentecostal woman, attending services at some storefront church in the hood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449April 20, 2019 6:46 PM

She fell all over the fat chick, "Ashley Nell", R448.

by Anonymousreply 450April 20, 2019 6:47 PM

Except those ladies rarely wear pants, and would not go out without a hat, r449.

by Anonymousreply 451April 20, 2019 6:48 PM

I don't get this look at all. It's like someone went as "slutty HR woman" for Halloween. Not sure where the superhero / video Game star is supposed to be in there. Does she give you extra PTO days?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452April 20, 2019 6:54 PM

You haven;t heard of " Magic Tits," R452? She shoots death rays from her nipples.

by Anonymousreply 453April 20, 2019 6:57 PM

The Republicans tried putting magic tits on Palin, but the only thing that shot out of her were trashy kids.

by Anonymousreply 454April 20, 2019 6:59 PM

[quote]Except those ladies rarely wear pants, and would not go out without a hat, [R449].

Well, that's very true, R451. But, my point is that their inspiration seems to always have some type of inspiration from what they have been exposed to in the church. This would be whether they consciously realize it or not. With Venny's submission, just imagine the pants as a skirt and voila! ...you have Prophetess Cleo.

It's just that feel that I get from both of their submissions. I just get that storefront church feeling from Venny's submission similar to the that of below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455April 20, 2019 7:02 PM

The show has become a parody of this entire " woke " nonsense. Very disappointed that Nina Garcia has embraced this sappy approach to fashion. I hardly recognize her from her former seasons of Runaway. It has become tedious.

by Anonymousreply 456April 20, 2019 7:04 PM

How patronizing, R449. What's Hester's excuse?

by Anonymousreply 457April 20, 2019 7:05 PM

Who is this Maxwell judge ? He is TERRIBLE. Where did they dig up this overgrown teenager?

by Anonymousreply 458April 20, 2019 7:12 PM

Having seen some of his creations, one can't help but wonder how he gives raves to the shit that is on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459April 20, 2019 7:18 PM

[quote]How patronizing, [R449]. What's Hester's excuse?

Oh, that's easy R457. She's stuck in the 80's. The Cyndi Lauper underground club look. There's a designer that still does that stuff... Patricia Field, I think is her name. I guess there's a market for it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460April 20, 2019 7:26 PM

They gave Hester the "I don't fit in... I had to drop out of school... nobody liked me" edit - so I think she's gonna be around a while. Just a guess... based on this new version of PR.

by Anonymousreply 461April 20, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote]Who is this Maxwell judge ? He is TERRIBLE. Where did they dig up this overgrown teenager?

He was affordable. He has some notoriety but not enough. I mean... how many people really knew who Michael Kors was prior to PR? I think that the same will happen to Maxwell as he will become more known through the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462April 20, 2019 7:39 PM

Hester’s aesthetic is like that of Vivienne Westwood. Didn’t Hester say she had worked for her?

by Anonymousreply 463April 20, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote]It should have been obvious from the very first show when the blue monstrosity, which was falling apart on stage was not eliminated. Does anyone think for one minute that Kors or the old Garcia would have let that through?

And yet, Kors and the old Garcia didn't eliminate the absurdity of Wendy Pepper's unconventional challenge "bikini" in the very first season, Santino's Heidi "lingerie" etc. etc.

The eliminations have always had producer input. It's not purely the judges call, the show even has a disclaimer about that.

by Anonymousreply 464April 20, 2019 9:42 PM

I don’t get the love for Hester’s garment. The model looked like someone who would dance under black lights for a reality show performance. Glowing in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 465April 21, 2019 8:03 AM

Don't get me wrong. Hester's outfit was very plastic/cheap. It looked like an arts and crafts project, but I was able to imagine someone wearing that in a club. Hence, it looked like fashion in some fashion. The other garments were just fighting to be costumes. At least, Hester's outfit seemed to transition from the video game to dance floor.

by Anonymousreply 466April 21, 2019 8:32 AM

And how many clubs are there for such "outfits"?

by Anonymousreply 467April 21, 2019 12:23 PM

[quote] Hester's outfit was very plastic/cheap.

You try sewing with plastic. Don't plastic cutouts count as fairly novel in the grand scheme of things?

by Anonymousreply 468April 21, 2019 12:58 PM

[quote]He was affordable. He has some notoriety but not enough. I mean... how many people really knew who Michael Kors was prior to PR? I think that the same will happen to Maxwell as he will become more known through the show.

Michael Kors has been a well known mainstream designer for ages. You could find his stuff in major department stores and even places like TJ Maxx/Marshalls long before PR. Zac Posen not quite as mainstream, but still a name recognized by most who have picked up a fashion magazine once in a blue moon. I knew of them...I had no idea who Brandon Maxwell is.

And Hester worked for Betsey Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 469April 21, 2019 1:48 PM

Yes, but Michael Kors went public (or something) after his success with PR and got a huge chunk of money. I see his handbag/accessories shops in airports everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 470April 21, 2019 1:54 PM

Kors is an actual billionaire since his company went public. He and Ralph Lauren are by far the richest designers in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471April 21, 2019 3:49 PM

R426, I agree with you 100%!

R449, Michael Knight had a similar issue, not so much during the season, but during the finale with his "street safari" collection. Michael demonstrated great potential when working within the parameters of a challenge, but the minute he was left to his own ideas, he basically came up with tacky and cheap looking clothing.

The one who you could say "broke the mold," was Anthony Williams, who won the previous PR All-Stars (the one before the Global All-Stars). Anthony is from Atlanta, and easily could have gone urban/street style, but he really adapted his taste to something more mainstream, and he produced a beautiful, tasteful, and elegant collection that won him the season.

[quote] Tessa should have won this challenge - I completely got her outfit and it was good fashion to me. Her model was perfect.

Oh, please. There's a reason why there aren't too many female video game designers. It's because they would produce the same shit that Tessa did.

Video games are a male dominated industry, both by the players and by the game creators. And TRUST me when I tell you that the very last thing they want to play or watch, is some female character dressed up in some stupid looking overalls, carrying a sack of flour. That shit would be laughed off the market

If I had to give an example of a strong female video game character, it would be something like Michonne from the Walking Dead, who wears black leather pants, a t-shirt with cut off sleeves and a brown leather vest to highlight her very toned arms, and wields a Japanese sword. That's what men will embrace.

And I really hate to say it, but what women want (as far as video games are concerned) is not important, because they are not the majority of consumers in the industry. So wish all you want, Karlie, Elaine, and all the others, but it's always going to be about what men want to see in the industry.

In this sense, it actually DOES matter what the male perspective is, despite all the SJW/pc crap. Which means that Garo's outfit should have won.

by Anonymousreply 472April 22, 2019 10:11 AM

R472 It's not a good argument. You are saying nobody should do diversity and only cater to white male on the planet because they are gaming the most. That mentality is outdated even for movies.

by Anonymousreply 473April 22, 2019 10:27 AM

You're clearly not in advertising, R473. Otherwise, you'd understand.

It's what the market wants, not what SJW/pc warriors want. Get real.

We're talking a BILLION dollar industry.

by Anonymousreply 474April 22, 2019 10:45 AM

I should say marketing/advertising.

by Anonymousreply 475April 22, 2019 10:46 AM

R472 clearly doesn't remember the challenge, the client, the brief or her instructions. This was a great look for an empowering female video game character, that was also wearable fashion. The model was ethereal, strong, iconic - perfection. The colour palette was a bit drab....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476April 22, 2019 10:58 AM

[quote] This was a great look for an empowering female video game character, that was also wearable fashion. The model was ethereal, strong, iconic - perfection.

Says, who? A Midwestern farm hand? Pfft. She was a lady in overalls, carrying a sack of flour. Please - oh wise one - explain what's so "empowering," "ethereal," "strong," "iconic," and "perfect" about it?

Perhaps in your little fantasy land bubble, would it be any of the above. It sounds like you're just regurgitating the garbage spouted by the judges.

But in the real world? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 477April 22, 2019 11:04 AM

R472 Your ideas of what the gaming world is actually like are clearly outdated and based on the bubble you're in based on only your taste in games. The brief was clear and Tessa's look fit the brief better and plus it isn't far off from real game sprites I could think of. You sound like you need to try some games outside of what you normally pick.

by Anonymousreply 478April 22, 2019 11:44 AM

R473/476/478? Enough.

by Anonymousreply 479April 22, 2019 11:51 AM

Tessa's looked like a game character. Not all games are futuristic space adventures or war games.

by Anonymousreply 480April 22, 2019 12:02 PM

And the debate used to be ( and still should be) about creating fashion, not about gaming or survival in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 481April 22, 2019 1:14 PM

R472 you are incorrect. Female gamers make up between 40-48% of the market. Hardly an insignificant amount. And it increases yearly. EVERY survey has trends moving to 50%, in the US, Canada, UK, and NZ.

by Anonymousreply 482April 22, 2019 6:19 PM

The brief was to create a powerful female character/look that would inspire women and girls. What male gamers might think of the look was irrelevant to the challenge, despite its relevance in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 483April 22, 2019 6:20 PM

[quote]And the debate used to be ( and still should be) about creating fashion, not about gaming or survival in the woods.

PR has always included some challenges that involve designing a look for a person/event/purpose that doesn't inherently call for high fashion; e.g., design a cheerleader outfit or a look for a roller derby star. It's also always featured some challenges focused on designing for tough or powerful or bad-ass women. These are not some new, "woke" elements of the show.

by Anonymousreply 484April 22, 2019 6:26 PM

I would have to agree that this "new" version of Project Runway is even more Lifetime-ish than even the Lifetime version of Project Runway.

What a drag.

by Anonymousreply 485April 22, 2019 6:36 PM

[quote] And I really hate to say it, but what women want (as far as video games are concerned) is not important, because they are not the majority of consumers in the industry. So wish all you want, Karlie, Elaine, and all the others, but it's always going to be about what men want to see in the industry.

Your argument is based on the current, and past, state of PC gaming. The female guest judge's agenda is about changing that present male dominated status quo by attracting more female gamers through offering them strong empowered women who don't wear stripper clothes to appeal to male gamers. That's why the dominatrix part of one of the top designs was an issue.

There is this underlying fear that male gamers get pushed aside and will no longer be the desired demographic when even one game panders to girls and has some strong, non sexualized, female game characters. So some male players made it their mission to not let that happen and quite frankly come off like misogynistic bigots.

Tessa's design hit all the marks for the competition. Though I had to chuckle that the designers couldn't get pass the rough and unfinished hems that made the design feel more grounded in the backstory's reality (manual labor, working, girl outfit).

But I do love Hester's outfit for being a punk, Techno raver. Great fit for graphic novels and computer games. To quote Nina: Very editorial.

However what got lost in the judging segment was that a lot of these designs were full on costumes. The only non full on costume and actual fashion was (imho) Lela's design.

Rakan's design reminds me of an awful V: The Series cosplay costume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486April 22, 2019 6:38 PM

Rakan's downfall was that he used his homeland's traditional fashion culture as inspiration to ccreate fashion forward designs, but the judges just saw old, outdated, cheap clothes nobody would want to buy at GoodWill.

by Anonymousreply 487April 22, 2019 6:48 PM

This reboot is so woke I wish it would take a nap.

by Anonymousreply 488April 22, 2019 6:50 PM

I wish that one of the designers had made an outfit which showed more skin, but they were too scared of appearing to be "what a man wants to see." That's so ridiculous.

The less clothes she has on, the easier it is for her to move!

Everything is not some VAST conspiracy to sexualize women. **staring at Elaine**

by Anonymousreply 489April 22, 2019 6:56 PM

I was hoping to see some skin tight Lara Croft bad-assery, not flour sacks.

by Anonymousreply 490April 22, 2019 6:58 PM

Elaine was as insufferable this episode as she’s ever been. Her version of “woke” is so limiting.

by Anonymousreply 491April 22, 2019 7:15 PM

I want PR to return to the good old days: designers making outfits for a z-lister’s music video.

by Anonymousreply 492April 22, 2019 8:22 PM

Great post R486.

by Anonymousreply 493April 22, 2019 10:29 PM

They keep saying: "Don't make it a costume." Then they honor the most costume-like outfits.

It's such a mind fuck.

P.S. And I'm sorry, but it's not at all fair to give most of the designers thin models, and one or two of them a fat model. You are WAY limited when you design for these "plus size" women. They all look like over-stuffed upholstery. And the judges are so phony when they over-praise these models' thick asses.

by Anonymousreply 494April 22, 2019 10:46 PM

R479 needs to fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 495April 23, 2019 4:59 AM

I’m so old, I remember when the likes of Nina and Kors would call Hester’s bullshit “junior.”

But like someone upthread wrote, Hester just got a sweetheart edit so she’s going to be around for awhile. Even when her designs suck, she’ll be safe. Expect her in the finals, and may god have mercy on us all.

by Anonymousreply 496April 23, 2019 7:11 AM

Hester's design aesthetic comes from the Millennial point of view of retro techno rave chic. Some trolls mock the queer fashion sense,but the fashion industry sees it as a valid commercial fashion trend where people pay designer prices to look like that. And it would go in a totally different direction than the drab and bland fashion trend from the likes of Kanye West. And people were paying designer prices for that silly (and overpriced) stuff.

by Anonymousreply 497April 23, 2019 7:19 AM

R497 You are right. Even though I didn't love Hester's garment, it met the challenge. I don't know why these old farts are up in arms over it winning. Who else was competing in this challenge? The criteria was that it had to be fashion AND be something a video character would wear.

Looking at the link below, one can easily see Hester's outfit seamlessly fitting into that club scene and a video game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498April 23, 2019 7:38 AM

Not enough tension and friction among the designers. I like Christian Soriano, but he’s so fucking BORING on this show it’s unreal.

90 minutes is just excessive for what we’re getting.

by Anonymousreply 499April 23, 2019 8:21 AM

I think you need 90 minutes when there are so many designers. It could be cut down to 60 when there are fewer remaining. What gets me, is that in the 90 minutes we still don't have a clear idea of what anyone is making. They still just focus on the ones who will be top three and bottom three but anyone who's in the middle won't get any airtime except for a ten second walk on the runway. Since there are plenty of times that I think a safe middle person should be in the top or bottom, I want to see more of them.

I'd also LOVE it if we learned the judges decision -making process when they winnow out winning and losing looks. I'd also love it if they stopped with all the odd angles and quick cuts when the model poses at the end of the runway. Just calm down and let us see it.

by Anonymousreply 500April 23, 2019 2:08 PM

[quote]And the debate used to be ( and still should be) about creating fashion, not about gaming or survival in the woods.

In Season 1 they did a US Post Office costume challenge. I love all of you who think you know what this show is, but don't really have a clue. Those of you who are looking for tension want phony, made up tension like Lifetime. No, tension should come organically.

by Anonymousreply 501April 23, 2019 2:25 PM

They also had to design for Barbie (season 2), a wrestler (season 4), stilt walkers (season 9), Miss Piggy (All-Stars season 1)...

And yeah, if there was more drama people would bitch about that. I don't miss the straight up bullying that we saw in some seasons - the two-faced cuntiness of people like Tessa is enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 502April 23, 2019 2:35 PM

[quote]the two-faced cuntiness of people like Tessa is enough for me.

Alas... just so misunderstood...

Were it a man you would applaud and honor his aggressiveness.

by Anonymousreply 503April 23, 2019 2:38 PM

So they’re having the designers pick their models (like in grade school when you picked teams in gym class and the last ones picked were publicly humiliated) and guess what, the two fat models were the last two picked. Newsflash: no one wants to look at fat people let alone be forced to design clothes for them.

And can they please quit shoving fat people down everyones’ throats? And calling them “curvy”? They’re fat, not “curvy.”

by Anonymousreply 504April 26, 2019 1:18 AM

Tessa put her foot in it by saying something about not wanting a curvy model.

I hope Garo makes something fabulous for the curvy-clomping-Kate

by Anonymousreply 505April 26, 2019 1:22 AM

Yeah, everyone shunned the Curvy Clumper again. And Tessa’s behavior should finally shut up the likes of r593 who have to play the cliche misogyny card for everything.

by Anonymousreply 506April 26, 2019 1:37 AM

I meant the likes of r503

by Anonymousreply 507April 26, 2019 1:37 AM

Tessa just came out and said what no one else would- she doesn’t want to design a garment for a fat person. They need to quit forcing this shit on people.

by Anonymousreply 508April 26, 2019 1:53 AM

If Hester survives this week, then you know the show is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 509April 26, 2019 1:54 AM

Did someone just say “itty bitty titty committee” about Hester’s model (who she was glueing pasties on to)?

by Anonymousreply 510April 26, 2019 1:55 AM

Why is Sebastian, arguably the most talented contestant, given such a lousy edit? The never show him interacting with Christian during production.

by Anonymousreply 511April 26, 2019 1:57 AM

Well r509, she does have immunity so she WILL survive.

But I’m pretty sure she’ll get one of those ”you’re lucky you have immunity” send offs to Safesville

by Anonymousreply 512April 26, 2019 1:58 AM

I think Sebastian should have been top 3 and not the Rosé. His was by far the superior pink outfit.

by Anonymousreply 513April 26, 2019 2:15 AM

And Nina said it!

by Anonymousreply 514April 26, 2019 2:19 AM

This show is vomit-inducing....

by Anonymousreply 515April 26, 2019 2:20 AM

R507 Pretty sure that post was sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 516April 26, 2019 3:52 AM

Ok, I'm finally convinced. I still like the reboot but these designers are talentless. Given $400 and two days and not one of them could design and construct a beautiful dress. ???

by Anonymousreply 517April 26, 2019 5:53 AM

R517 Me too it only just finally sunk in that they are totaly duds. I still like the season but I've lowered my expectations. The best we can hope for is at most one good collection during the finale.

by Anonymousreply 518April 26, 2019 6:22 AM

I’m confused as to how they determine which models stay in the competition. Male2Mimi and Curvy Clumper have both sported eliminated designs yet here they still are. Nothing against them, just wondering - Do they just rotate them based on availability?

by Anonymousreply 519April 26, 2019 9:16 AM

[quote] Tessa’s behavior should finally shut up the likes of R593 who have to play the cliche misogyny card for everything.

This stood out to me more than anything.

Big mouths like Elaine just love to hear themselves talk about female empowerment, blah blah blah, with the implication that men are always holding them back.

Guess what? WOMEN are some of the biggest offenders of female DISempowerment, as evidenced by Tessa. Interestingly, it was Garo who empowered his model, by encouraging her and complimenting her.

I am so sick of this false narrative.

[quote] Given $400 and two days and not one of them could design and construct a beautiful dress. ???

Exactly, R517. Not even one of those designs is something that I would consider to be "elegant." They were pretty much all plain, boring, and unimaginative.

And yes, Hester should have gone home. That dress was a big "fuck you!" to the judges.

by Anonymousreply 520April 26, 2019 10:49 AM

And the older woman, who made a beautiful dress, goes home, because she's old and "out of touch" while Miss "cultural appropriation" would rather send the "old" white woman home instead of the "Brotha" who made the shitty dress that looked even worse up close. And why was the black and white dress (which looked cheap up close) in the top instead of Sabastian's? I hate this show.

by Anonymousreply 521April 26, 2019 11:26 AM

I was trying to think about how this could work and then concluded that it just can't. Granted, I feel the woman should have had a larger bust size but here is where I think that Hester went wrong; Is anyone else feeling mermaid here? A mermaid muse would fit in with Hester's whimsical attitude. But, where is the elegance? Where is the selling point?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522April 26, 2019 11:37 AM

The pasties were too small. Pure and simple. Two cups would have been somewhat more elegant.

by Anonymousreply 523April 26, 2019 12:00 PM

I really wanted Hester's model to throw her under the bust by saying- That bitch glued these pasties to my nipples instead of sewing them in!!!

That is going to be very painful for the model to get off.

I also hated Hester's whole attitude this week. In the workroom she seemed to have a superiority attitude toward all the other designers.

by Anonymousreply 524April 26, 2019 12:14 PM

I, like posters above, was wondering who the male judge was, so I googled him. It took typing nearly his full name before it showed up in the list provided of possibilities below. That’s how renowned he is. It also said he got his initial notoriety for being a stylist rather than a designer....

by Anonymousreply 525April 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Shitty Runway this week. I don't think I would have eliminated the designer that the got sent home.

by Anonymousreply 526April 26, 2019 2:14 PM

[quote] And the older woman, who made a beautiful dress, goes home, because she's old

[quote] I don't think I would have eliminated the designer that the got sent home

I knew she was a goner, the minute I saw her on the show. I don't know why they even bother having older people on the show, because they don't stand a chance in hell of making it to the end. Nadine probably saw the writing on the wall, and that's why she wanted to go home early.

Sonia's dress was not at all the worst on the runway. Hester and Bishme definitely deserved to be there, and Bishme should have gone home, rather than Sonia.

In fact, Christian said that Sonia shouldn't have gone home (without really coming out and saying it). So happy that he made her feel good when she got eliminated, by letting her know that "there are many women who would have bought your dress." I'm glad he called out the judges in that subtle way.

That whole elimination was bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 527April 26, 2019 2:30 PM

Are the rating any good, or have people tuned out?

by Anonymousreply 528April 26, 2019 3:02 PM

Elaine definitely threw Sonia under the bus, in favor of Bishme.

I really hate that she came to the judging panel with an agenda, and she's very obvious about it.

by Anonymousreply 529April 26, 2019 3:22 PM

It's just so "church-wear"....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530April 26, 2019 3:25 PM

I think it kind of sucks when someone is penalized because the judges expect more from them versus a really horrible submission. Sonia's submission wasn't bad at all considering other submissions. But, I guess the judges thought that she should have known better and expected more from her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531April 26, 2019 3:53 PM

She didn’t fit the profile of new social justice bent of the show. At least her dress showed a modicum of taste, unlike Bishme’s look...

by Anonymousreply 532April 26, 2019 4:15 PM

I'm curious how the ratings are as well. The only thing I found was the premier episode got a dismal 0.2.

by Anonymousreply 533April 26, 2019 4:24 PM

Sebastian was totally robbed - his dress had a wow factor. Why wasn't he top 3? And what was so innovative about Venny's dress? The color and fit was good, of course, but it looked just as simple in the design as Sonia's. I also thought Tessa was going to be in the bottom.

On the positive side, Brandon make me laugh a couple times, so while he's still no Michael Kors, at least he's not as dreary and dull as Zac.

by Anonymousreply 534April 26, 2019 5:34 PM

[quote]And what was so innovative about Venny's dress?

Finally.... Something palatable...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535April 26, 2019 5:40 PM

[quote]Tessa was going to be in the bottom. I think it kind of sucks when someone is penalized because the judges expect more from them versus a really horrible submission.

Agreed. THIS should have been her category. She said her inspiration was money.

Okay....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536April 26, 2019 5:43 PM

Brandon Maxwell appears to be the poor man's cross between Michael Kors and Isaac Mizrahi. He's such a dud, and really, he was a doing a "fashion shoot" wearing a zip up black hoodie.

by Anonymousreply 537April 26, 2019 10:29 PM

They were all bad this week. Sonia's was boring and safe but Bishme's was a confusing 80s evening look. Not super elegant.

by Anonymousreply 538April 26, 2019 11:16 PM

Good on Jamall for "arriving" and congrats on Christian for forcing him away from his usual jacket but that dress would have been middle of the pack in so many Project Runway seasons. Tessa's looked like hell. Garo's looked good from the front but someone needs to tell him lace up anything is trashy.

by Anonymousreply 539April 26, 2019 11:20 PM

Lace up things are for designers who don't know how to make a dress that fits properly. Like the drapers. Anyone can get lucky draping a piece of fabric on a nice body. The dude who won this week made Jeff Seblia's plaid dress from a decade ago. Just an accident of how the pattern draped is all that made it interesting.

Emilio Sosa make beautiful gowns and dresses in one day challenges, with the proper understructure to support them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540April 26, 2019 11:49 PM

R534 It's probably because it was also a flash sale challenge and they didn't think that look be easily turned into something produced on a bigger scale. Also Sebastian is pretty sure to be in the finale and he had a good edit at the beginning where he was focused on a lot. After that they sometimes move a designer to the middle of the pack so that the audience doesn't become tired of them. He'll become the focus again soon enough.

They really should have included Tessa in the bottom over Hester since they couldn't eliminate Hester any way or had four people in the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 541April 27, 2019 1:46 AM

Tessa really should shut up...

by Anonymousreply 542April 27, 2019 1:54 AM

R542 She lost any chance she had of winning the whole competition in ten very stupid seconds.

by Anonymousreply 543April 27, 2019 2:01 AM

And Tessa created something that looked like Walmart Separates for big gals.

by Anonymousreply 544April 27, 2019 2:07 AM

I loved the S&M outfit Hester showed up in at the runway. But that thing she designed!!?? Velcro pasties and a skirt that made no sense at all. I think she's gonna be out next.

by Anonymousreply 545April 27, 2019 2:14 AM

I hate the judges. HATE.

Keep Maxwell and Garcia and kick neo-Heidi and Token-Wokester to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 546April 27, 2019 3:24 AM

I will always love Nina Garcia.

by Anonymousreply 547April 27, 2019 3:25 AM

R533, here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548April 27, 2019 3:35 AM

Other than it should have been tea-length, I actually liked Hester”s dress. The pasties were a brilliant and subtle slap in the face to the SJW judges; of course they didn’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 549April 27, 2019 3:40 AM

R546 - get rid of Maxwell, too. He sucks. Get UK menswear designer, Patrick Grant, to be the male judge. He's so cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550April 27, 2019 3:52 AM

But, does he support female empowerment? If not, there is no room for him on the show.

by Anonymousreply 551April 27, 2019 5:27 AM

I agree with r521, r527 and r529.

by Anonymousreply 552April 27, 2019 5:29 AM

Took me six episodes to realize there are no guest judges in this new and improved version!

by Anonymousreply 553April 27, 2019 7:24 AM

They're ALL guest judges, except for Nina, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 554April 27, 2019 11:05 AM

I mean, the lady on the left in this shot was technically a guest judge. But yeah, as a rule, it's just them and I prefer it that way. I could do with never seeing another "country star" judging a fashion competition again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555April 27, 2019 11:11 AM

I prefer a guest judge to Elaine.

by Anonymousreply 556April 27, 2019 12:47 PM

Hester only made that shit dress because she had immunity. If there was a chance she could be out, she would have adhered much more closely to the challenge, but since she knew there would be no consequences she went ahead and made some outrageous shit to prove that she's still the character she portrays. Next week she'll be back to slightly edgy but overall safe.

by Anonymousreply 557April 27, 2019 12:51 PM

R533 thanks for posting the ratings. Interesting to note there’s not a single housewife franchise in the cable top 50.

by Anonymousreply 558April 27, 2019 1:28 PM

That's a positive statement about the intelligence of the American people, R558

by Anonymousreply 559April 27, 2019 1:40 PM

I fast forward through most of this show. I'm doing the editing for them. It's too fucking long and boring. I kind of hate everyone...especially Brandon. He sucks. Venny is cute. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 560April 27, 2019 1:52 PM

Me too (hashtag). . . I watch the beginning of the show to see what the challenge is and then I watch the last 40 mins to see the runway and the judging. The "Elegance" challenge was very inelegant for me. None of the designs really looked "rich" and "luxurious." I was waiting for one of the designers to really take the challenge and come up with something beauteous.

by Anonymousreply 561April 27, 2019 2:17 PM

I used to watch the whole show before Peak TV happened. Now my brain just doesn't have enough space for that fat anymore and I just FF to the runway and the judging.

by Anonymousreply 562April 27, 2019 2:29 PM

R559, those were just for Thursday nights so no Real Housewives but the ratings are holding steady in the lowly .2 range for the coveted demographic. PR's ratings are better when you factor in the 50 plus but so are all the Fox News Shows. For a fashion show to be skewing so old is not a great sign. The move to Bravo isn't anything. It's just an old show that people are getting tired of and the younger audiences aren't appreciating. The core audience is old because it's an old show.

by Anonymousreply 563April 27, 2019 2:35 PM

Really dreadful designs and judging. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 564April 27, 2019 2:37 PM

Just rewatched the last episode. Sebastian’s look was the only well conceived, well made and elegant one of the bunch. Far and away. The only criticism I have is that pink is not a color I associate with elegance, but I realize he had to use the flower as inspiration...

by Anonymousreply 565April 27, 2019 3:09 PM

R563, it looks as if bravo wants to lure younger viewers to the fold with their "woke" new philosophy. The fashion is crap, turning off their current demographic. the social justice pre-requisite is a gamble, but I'll bet that it ultimately fails.

by Anonymousreply 566April 27, 2019 3:18 PM

Bravo's doing well with younger audiences with those shitty Housewives shows. As it pertains to PR, having younger hosts and mentors was a good decision but the show is just too old itself to attract those younger audiences.

by Anonymousreply 567April 27, 2019 4:48 PM

I guess Heidi's new design show for Amazon got cancelled due to lack of interest.

by Anonymousreply 568April 27, 2019 8:23 PM

R568, what makes you say that? It apparently starts shooting in June.

by Anonymousreply 569April 27, 2019 8:26 PM

I agree with those who say the level of talent in this cast isnt really impressing.

I like the reboot fine, but these runways are often pretty underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 570April 27, 2019 9:41 PM

The judges were creaming and gooing over Venny’s pink sheath dress as if it were something spectacular, when it was just a simple, well fitting dress. Nina of the past would have dismissed it as such...

by Anonymousreply 571April 27, 2019 9:56 PM

We should start an online petition to get rid of Elaine.

I really can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 572April 27, 2019 10:14 PM

R570, because this iteration isn't about fashion. They weren't looking for good designers, they were looking for minorities and off-center Betsy Johnson-type disciples. The result is inferior design, but a social statement.

by Anonymousreply 573April 27, 2019 10:26 PM

R573 leaves a long, long trail of previous posts decrying minorities and diversity in PR. There’s even some fun stuff about black women’s hair. Just blocked them and wow, every single fucking post is about how PR sucks because of its diversity. Give it up asshole. I’m happy I’m “woke” btw. People like you need to be extinct.

by Anonymousreply 574April 27, 2019 10:33 PM

R572, the problem with her is that we're supposed to know who she is and accept her as an authority but for most of us she's a new face. She actually does have a great career for such a young woman and apparently she was behind the anti-Trump stance Teen Vogue has had, which is a huge plus. Which is also kind of funny knowing she's now working with Kloss.

by Anonymousreply 575April 27, 2019 10:35 PM

R575, I’d like to think (although I don’t know for a fact) that Karli Kloss and her hubby are pretty anti-Trump. Unfortunately, it’s not good to disown family because of their political stance (hah, as much as we’d like to sometimes).

by Anonymousreply 576April 27, 2019 10:37 PM

R574, Hey douchebag. Guess again. I have stated that the show is not about fashion; it's about "social justice" and " female empowerment." Just read what Elaine said about the new show. I think I'm in the majority here, you "woke" shit. Learn to read, asshat.

by Anonymousreply 577April 27, 2019 10:40 PM

[quote]it's about "social justice" and " female empowerment"

I see nothing wrong with either of these things? Wouldn't we all want to live in a just society where women feel empowered? I sure as hell know I would.

by Anonymousreply 578April 27, 2019 10:46 PM

I agree, R574! R573, is DETERMINED to try and get "something" started. Look... it's the first season of the show on a network. The show and the network want to make a statement. Okay.... GREAT! Maybe, at this moment, it is the inspiration of the message that the show is sending out is much more important than the actual reality of it? Is it possible that they want to send "something" out there to elders, minorities, etc that YOU TOO can DO! I just got a FaceBook listing that spotlighted Lucy Liu having a star placed on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She's only the 2nd Asian to have such an honor. REALLY? In this day and age?

Give it a rest,R573! We've gotten your point! But, do you "get" ours?

by Anonymousreply 579April 27, 2019 10:49 PM

R577 You’re an old hag (or hagette) who doesn’t belong on the internet, sorry to say. Go dial your racist friends on your rotary phone.

by Anonymousreply 580April 27, 2019 11:01 PM

R577 has been triggered. Respect her boundaries, or she will shoot you.

by Anonymousreply 581April 27, 2019 11:04 PM

I get where R573 is coming from.

Nobody wants to be LECTURED and FORCED to be "woke." Which is what it seems like nowdays. Not only on Project Runway, but everywhere we fucking go. It's always in our faces, and people are rightfully getting tired of it.

And honestly, Elaine has no one else to blame but herself, for people hating her. She's the one constantly harping about her social justice issues, the cultural appropriation, and all that other bullshit.

I certainly don't see Nina going on and on about it.

by Anonymousreply 582April 27, 2019 11:10 PM

r582 I saw posts identical to yours when Star Trek introduced its first gay characters last year. I guess I just don't understand deploying the exact same rhetoric that is being used [italic]constantly[/italic] against gay people as well. You're just empowering and enabling the racists and the homophobes by co-opting their talking points. That just seems so irresponsible to me.

by Anonymousreply 583April 27, 2019 11:16 PM

[quote]Nobody wants to be LECTURED and FORCED to be "woke." Which is what it seems like nowdays. Not only on Project Runway, but everywhere we fucking go. It's always in our faces, and people are rightfully getting tired of it.

Well, maybe here in the United States, after 100's of years of the majority's shit. You still don't fucking get it! Repetition is a great reinforcement...

by Anonymousreply 584April 27, 2019 11:35 PM

[quote] Repetition is a great reinforcement...

And on the other hand, it can be a great source of irritation.

The trick is to know when you are about to overplay your hand.

by Anonymousreply 585April 27, 2019 11:38 PM

New thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586April 27, 2019 11:43 PM

[quote]And on the other hand, it can be a great source of irritation. The trick is to know when you are about to overplay your hand.

"JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US!"

100's of years of domination versus a few uncomfortable years of discomfort from the "others" who only ask to be treated fairly and decently? Okay....

by Anonymousreply 587April 27, 2019 11:53 PM

R586 is quite thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 588April 27, 2019 11:58 PM

Thirsty for Miss K!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589April 28, 2019 12:26 AM

The poster who keeps saying WOKE reminds me of someone's great grandfather saying ROCK and ROLL! Already their use of terminology sounds antiquated. Let alone the argument.

by Anonymousreply 590April 28, 2019 12:56 AM

R590...yeah.... um no. Old people can’t be woke.

by Anonymousreply 591April 28, 2019 2:51 AM

Let us not compare mythologies R591. Older people can be woke, just not on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 592April 28, 2019 3:00 AM

R590 It's hilarious and even with all the time I've spent on DL I was still surprised when I found out most of the posts along that line were from one person. It's amazing that someone could spend that much time trying to get other people to agree with them over a show they don't even like. They must spend a lot of time in the world bothered by petty shit.

by Anonymousreply 593April 28, 2019 3:09 AM

You WOKE ME UP, DAMN YOU!!!

by Anonymousreply 594April 28, 2019 3:22 AM

"Peacocking"

When a straight man wears something stupid to attract straight women.

Hmph! I never heard of this. Can anyone provide an example?

by Anonymousreply 595April 28, 2019 2:46 PM

I wish that the show would do something on the living space. I thing the art/sculpture are all quite interesting ie the hangers on the wall and the boot stand. From what I have seen its been quite imaginative.

by Anonymousreply 596April 28, 2019 2:56 PM

I liked Garo's approach. He made the big girl feel good and pretty! I don't recall her ever genuinely smiling since the show began.

by Anonymousreply 597April 28, 2019 3:22 PM

Identity is more up front in this season than in the early days. It reflects the culture and what a lot of people are thinking about. The show's always been somewhat diverse, right? I would imagine the producers would always want a kooky Betsey Johnston type or two. You need visual interest. The last challenge betrayed a general talent shortcoming but I'm going to be hopeful. What's really going on is that the internet has democratized fashion to where a young upstart might be more inclined to brand build independently. Says me.

by Anonymousreply 598April 28, 2019 3:24 PM

FYI: It's dated, but....

I'm happy for the successes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599April 28, 2019 4:27 PM

I don’t have any issue with a diverse cast. I do have an issue with non-fashion agendas in the judging. It’s inevitable in any show that the producers will weigh in for the sake of ratings. But the judges should stick to fashion.

by Anonymousreply 600April 28, 2019 4:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!