Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

College Admissions Scam, Operation Varsity Blues: Part Three

For when Part Two is full, or your phone has bogged out because the thread got too long.

Mugshot watch...we are waiting!

Link to Part Two:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600March 13, 2019 5:01 PM

Will Felicity look smug in her mugshot?

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 1:29 AM

I'm totally betting on a defiant smugshot r1

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 1:31 AM

This whole scandal is so delicious. I took a two hour lunch at work today to go through the DL threads.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 1:32 AM

She’ll pretend to cradle a mug in her smugshot.

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 1:34 AM

Wasn’t Lynette often cradling a mug on “Desperate Housewives”? Those women had a lot of coffee dialogue, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 1:36 AM

We really need Brenda Strong narrating this scandal.

With commentary from Teri Hatcher and Nicollette Sheridan!

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 1:45 AM

This is why I'm just so darn proud of my children. I supported them no matter what their dreams: sex tapes, plastic surgeries, fake marriages, getting pregnant to famous men thus entrapping them in my elaborate scheme to remain famous for decades and milk my kids and grandchildren for all their worth.

They didn't need college. Heck, most of them didn't even graduate high school! They didn't need SATs. I don't think Kylie could even spell SAT.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 1:50 AM

The prosecutors said it was a very simple plan, "cheat, bribe and lie." Who wants someone like that in your life?

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2019 1:53 AM

I don't get this part. The guy wore a wire for the FBI, but the transcripts show that mutual consent for the conversation to be taped, at least in Felicity's case, was given. (In California, both parties have to consent), So did he just use a ruse "taping for my notes" or...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2019 1:53 AM

By the way here is the transcript. The part for Felicity starts on page 26 (as noted on the header, not the footer)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2019 1:55 AM

I call semi-devastated mugshot. Slightly sorrowful, slightly sorry, a touch defiant. Very classy, lots of technique.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2019 1:56 AM

Didn’t Michael Cohen say that our President failed the SAT’s and cheated his way into college?????

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2019 1:57 AM

I think Lori's career will be harder hit. Her daughter is a little bitch who basically constantly said "fuck school"

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Can’t even get into a state school like UCLA without bribes. Hahahahaha

UCLA is not a state school. State schools are Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Hayward, all bottom of the barrel like all State schools. UCLA is part of the UC system and is prestigious.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2019 1:59 AM

[quote]With commentary from Teri Hatcher and Nicollette Sheridan!

lol I bet Teri and Nicollette are laughing their asses off right now.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2019 2:00 AM

What happened to INNOCENT until proven guilty?

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2019 2:00 AM

Agree r13

She’s a wannabe Kardashian

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2019 2:00 AM

UC Berkeley is even better than UCLA. How come nobody wanted to get in there? It's too hard probably lol.

by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2019 2:01 AM

People can sympathize with someone who punches a nun to save their kid's life.

Bribing universities, changing test scores, lying to get into college, and using their wealth to get themselves and their kids ahead of others... not so much.

Their careers are done.

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2019 2:01 AM

[quote][R593] “I lost my *** in Vegas mug!”

Didn't get a chance to tell you I love you for this. God, I remember that being bleeped.

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2019 2:01 AM

yes, that Lori offspring has fillers in the already very big cheeks. so fake. too much!

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2019 2:01 AM

It's too hard, and it's too far away from the SoCal teat r18

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2019 2:02 AM

Brings a whole new meaning to Desperate Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2019 2:02 AM

R15 Wrong! I am very concerned for my friend. You'll hear about my concern on my press tour starting tomorrow with Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight, E!, The Insider, Good Morning America, The Late Show, Live With Kelly and Ryan, The Talk, The View...

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2019 2:02 AM

Teri is probably pinching her own arm to keep from laughing.

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2019 2:03 AM

I've had a few celebrity offspring as students over my years teaching at an Ivy and I know they got in because the university expects major alum donations. Nothing new. Not illegal, but not fair either.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2019 2:03 AM

Scene: Lynette puts on a full face of makeup before going to bed, in preparation for the fateful morning the Feds knock on her door.

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2019 2:04 AM

The thing is, these kids would probably have been perfectly fine getting into some state school or private no-name liberal arts school, but their entitled parents can't stand that they paid for the best K-12 education money can buy and their mediocre kids couldn't get into the top 5 name brand schools as everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2019 2:04 AM

R26 what was the percentage of those with brains, or who at least tried as opposed to "I'm here to party"

by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2019 2:04 AM

[quote]What happened to INNOCENT until proven guilty?

Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2019 2:05 AM

Any experts weighing in on CNN? Or just rehash of what we already know?

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2019 2:05 AM

Why does the document specify Huffman is the criminal when it repeatedly states that she and her spouse engaged in the criminal acts?

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2019 2:05 AM

We know that R26. Obviously this is not even comparable to what you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2019 2:06 AM

Will any of them get the Kevin Spacey treatment/erasure?

I’d really love it if WHM was replaced in ‘Jurassic Park 3’!

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2019 2:08 AM

I'm guessing because her name was on the check? They didn't have him on tape?

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2019 2:08 AM

Has Lori’s plane landed? Is she in custody? Or is she currently a fugitive?

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2019 2:08 AM

R32 I also wonder why Macy isn't being charged since he knew.

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2019 2:09 AM

The LA CBS affiliate (with cutie Tom Wait as correspondent) said that the defendants all looked disheveled and dazed, as if they never expected this to happen.

Reading through the threads, something important has not been discussed. A great many of these undeserving students were trying to get in athletics. The bar is obviously much lower but the entire concept of athletic scholarships is one that definitely needs revisiting, especially since so many of these applicants were female.

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2019 2:09 AM

r32 That is one of the biggest questions. I can't imagine Macy might have thrown his wife under the bus, to evade charges, but hey why not? Weirder shit has happened.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2019 2:09 AM

r36, she flew private into Santa Monica.

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2019 2:10 AM

Are news crews and photographers setting up shop at LAX?

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2019 2:10 AM

Felicity seems to be taking the fall for both her and Macy. They probably figure her career is over, but he can still keep working and keep his head down. I read that it was Mossimo's idea, I wonder if he won't try to take the fall for Lori.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2019 2:10 AM

UCLA is a state school in that it's a public school regardless of how much more prestigious than the Cal States. It is one of the toughest schools to get into because it receives the most applications in the US (the world?).

Today was a school day, can't imagine how these kids must have felt walking around on college or high school campus. Everyone knows you shouldn't be there. I had an inferiority complex being a community college transfer into UCLA and even felt it while in grad school at Georgetown. But at the end of the day, I obtained those degrees off of my own work. I would have been an emotional wreck every single year in school if I knew I cheated the admissions process.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2019 2:10 AM

R36 LL is being allowed to turn herself in in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 44March 13, 2019 2:10 AM

r31 Joey Jackson basically said they will get the book thrown at them because they are celebrities and judicial system will want to make an example out of them. But people have to take into consideration that people like Manafort only got 47 months for high crimes.

by Anonymousreply 45March 13, 2019 2:11 AM

R41 She gets to turn herself in tomorrow because she is a special cuntflake.

by Anonymousreply 46March 13, 2019 2:11 AM

[quote] I also wonder why Macy isn't being charged since he knew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 13, 2019 2:11 AM

“There are a couple of different possibilities. One of the possibilities is that the husband is far less culpable,” explained Rebecca Roiphe, a New York Law School professor and former prosecutor. “Maybe it’s possible that the government has far more evidence than it’s laid out here, and in this evidence, that Huffman played a far more significant role than her husband.”

Why was Macy kept (semi-)anonymous in the complaint? Roiphe explained that when a conspirator isn’t named, it could be evidence that they had cooperated with the investigation. Or prosecutors could simply not be ready to charge them yet. (On Tuesday afternoon, Macy turned up in court alongside his lawyer.)

Veteran criminal attorney Murray Richman expressed similar views.

“If there’s no active participation in the wrongdoing, the spouse will not be charged,” he explained. “Mere knowledge, even with the presence, does not constitute criminal conduct.”

“Or, if there is insufficient evidence to necessarily link that spouse to criminal [activity], they will not be charged if it’s mere allegations unsubstantiated with significant proof,” Richman said.

In this kind of situation, Richman said that if prosecutors mention a spouse, but don’t charge the spouse, he or she could still be “an unindicted co-conspirator.”

A former federal prosecutor also told Vulture that the alleged misconduct involving their second daughter might be too vague to bring charges against Macy.

“Just based on their conversation, there’s not enough proof to show he had any knowledge it was illegal,” he said. “Based only on the conversations, the second one, there is also an innocent explanation what he was saying and ultimately, they agree not to do it.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 13, 2019 2:12 AM

Felicity’s next project is a miniseries about the Central Park Five (directed by Ava Duvernay). She plays a villain, so maybe they can just rail on her for being a privileged rich white woman instead of cancelling or recasting the movie.

by Anonymousreply 49March 13, 2019 2:12 AM

If they have more evidence of FH than WHM, she may jump on the bomb and take it for both of them. But I fully expect Lori to get hit a lot harder, and good because her daughter is HEINOUS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 13, 2019 2:12 AM

I think Macy's career will take a hit because of this.

by Anonymousreply 51March 13, 2019 2:12 AM

What exactly were they charged with? It's actually not illegal to bribe a school for admission. The school obviously has it's own rules, but I'm talking about the law,

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2019 2:13 AM

If they are so hard up for cash that Mr. Lori had to put their mansion up for bond instead of throw down 100k, I don't know how Ms. Lori can afford private. That might be the last posh flight of hers for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 53March 13, 2019 2:13 AM

charged with felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud, according to a complaint.

by Anonymousreply 54March 13, 2019 2:13 AM

R52 go to the DM or TMZ and bone up.

by Anonymousreply 55March 13, 2019 2:14 AM

Olivia Jade's next Youtube video should be shot Heather from Blair Witch Project style:

[quote]I just want to apologize....to my mom...and I'm sorry to everyone...I was very naive...I am SO so sorry for everything that has happened...*whimper*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 13, 2019 2:15 AM

#richpeopleproblems

by Anonymousreply 57March 13, 2019 2:16 AM

The best thing about this scandal here today has been the complete LACK of posters like R52. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 58March 13, 2019 2:16 AM

Thank you r48!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59March 13, 2019 2:16 AM

R44 Oh, how lovely!

by Anonymousreply 60March 13, 2019 2:16 AM

Why did they reinvent the wheel? They're rich and some, famous, too boring to just do the usual like making donations to schools? Huffman and Macy could have volunteered at the schools' film/drama departments.

The consensual phone recording statements are baffling.

by Anonymousreply 61March 13, 2019 2:16 AM

Huffman and Macy knew about the investigation before the arrest, so surely they worked this arrangement out before she was taken in. Hell, Im sure they used their money and access to get intel that shit was about to go down. Same with Mossimo and Loughlin. The probably arranged the same kind of deal so that Loughlin could take her time and turn herself in Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 62March 13, 2019 2:17 AM

Glad I'm not the only one to think so r61 Baffling indeed.

by Anonymousreply 63March 13, 2019 2:17 AM

Felicity wrote the e-mails. She's the on they have evidence for. She probably wrote the check as well.

Mossimo got dragged to jail without his checkbook. His lawyer didn't have 100K on tap. Lori will go to her hearing with the cash.

This is the most fun since the other Jade thread. When Donal Logue's kid was missing.

by Anonymousreply 64March 13, 2019 2:18 AM

R62 Huffman was arrested at the crack of dawn while her family was still sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 65March 13, 2019 2:19 AM

Ruh Roe!

by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2019 2:19 AM

Except for the fact Huffman was arrested at her home by FBI agents with their guns drawn R62.

by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2019 2:19 AM

r62 TMZ did say that Felicity knew that shit was going to go down in advance, and was supposedly going to turn herself in, but something got into the FBI (don't know what) and they decided to pounce.

by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2019 2:19 AM

Is Lori a right wing fundie?

Agreed, R64. The Jade threads were delish (once we knew the kid was safe)!

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2019 2:20 AM

What I don’t understand is how hiring someone to take your SATs guarantees you a spot in these schools? I had a perfect SAT score and yet was denied admission to Yale and Stanford. Doing well on your SATs is no way a guarantee you’ll get in so they might have wasted all that money cheating for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

R18 UC Berkeley is the most prestigious and hardest to get into of all the universities in the UC system. Not glamorous like UCLA but world class university right up there with the Ivys. They pretty much go more strictly academics and less "other" factors than other UCs. When I went there in the early 2000's, it was very competitive. I remember when I watched 1st season of Real Housewives of Orange County, that Jeana Keough's daughter went to UCB as freshman. Later she I think returned without finishing, worked in a bar or something.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

Huffman and Macy only coughed up 15k, maybe doing the usual donate a wing to the library was out of their reach?

The others I don’t understand. Maybe their kids were so stupid and had such bad grades that even with a massive donation they couldn’t get in? 1.2 million to Yale you would think is enough.

I think the Huffman/Macy kid probably didn’t know and is mortified. But the little Kardashian wannabe Aunt Becky had is shameless.

by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

I knew it! Felicity and WHM were planning on escaping to Isla Sorna!!!!

by Anonymousreply 73March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

[quote]Joey Jackson basically said they will get the book thrown at them because they are celebrities and judicial system will want to make an example out of them. But people have to take into consideration that people like Manafort only got 47 months for high crimes.

No we don't. Sentences do not now have to be re-calibrated to make Manafort's ridiculously short one seem fair by comparison. Fuck that. People should be judged on the (de)merits of their own crimes.

by Anonymousreply 74March 13, 2019 2:21 AM

THey knew? But I thought the FBI went to their house at the crack of dawn and they were still sleeping. I think it was 7am and like 6 or 7 agents with guns drawn!

by Anonymousreply 75March 13, 2019 2:22 AM

Mr. Lori was taken into custody without his checkbook, but conveniently had the deed to the house with him to use for bond collateral? Something seems weird about that. But I am a law abiding poor and I have no clue how this shit works.

by Anonymousreply 76March 13, 2019 2:23 AM

R70, they had the fake sports profile!

by Anonymousreply 77March 13, 2019 2:23 AM

Are the Huffman-Macy kids as terrible and bratty as Baby Becky?

by Anonymousreply 78March 13, 2019 2:23 AM

[quote]Is Lori a right wing fundie?

Probably a fake one. She panders to the evangelicals to get the easy Hallmark gigs. She does looked coked up in some of these pics and that Mr Lori looks like he throws a nasty fuck

by Anonymousreply 79March 13, 2019 2:23 AM

R71, I went to UCB in the early 2000s too. Maybe I knew you. I was roommates with Chris Pine.

by Anonymousreply 80March 13, 2019 2:24 AM

R58 = Felicity.

by Anonymousreply 81March 13, 2019 2:24 AM

r65, and others, the point is that Huffman knew she was being investigated by the Feds so she and Macy surely discussed how they were going to play this before anyone was actually arrested. They probably have gone over multiple scenarios with expensive lawyers way before today.

by Anonymousreply 82March 13, 2019 2:25 AM

[quote][R70], they had the fake sports profile!

No, it was either fake sports profile OR cheat on SATs. Lori paid $500,000 for fake sports profile. Felicity paid $15,000 to cheat on SATs. Neither guarantees admission. You could be the best althete or have the perfect SAT score and still be rejected by a school.

by Anonymousreply 83March 13, 2019 2:27 AM

R78 they don't have (public) social media so it's unknown.

It seems like Felicity and Bill were trying to give their girl an (illegal) boost at an education while new DL ICON OLIVIA JADE is a little twat who didn't even know her own major. That's way worse. And the Macy daughter is still in high school so she hasn't technically stolen a college space yet.

by Anonymousreply 84March 13, 2019 2:27 AM

Olivia's low forehead is really distracting and does give her a semi-retarded appearance. Girl should invest some of her YT ho money on forehead electrolysis like Rita Hayworth did in her Hollywood makeover.

by Anonymousreply 85March 13, 2019 2:29 AM

R83, but they still needed those high SAT scores as part of the whole package and clearly, this vapid bimbo would've been incapable of accomplishing such a feat.

by Anonymousreply 86March 13, 2019 2:30 AM

I wonder if anyone will even hire Lori or Felicity's daughters. They're going to pay the worst price for this.

by Anonymousreply 87March 13, 2019 2:30 AM

Can Olivia Jade be so clueless she doesn't realize she is out of her element?

by Anonymousreply 88March 13, 2019 2:30 AM

r82 Then why didn't she turn herself in all dignified at the first opportunity instead of being rousted out in the wee hours if they had it all worked out? She should have gotten ahead of the whole thing as much as possible considering what she/they were facing, and walked in the door as soon as possible. Less drama for us, true, but a much better look for her.

by Anonymousreply 89March 13, 2019 2:30 AM

Why are these kids of today’s biggest fashion empires even worrying about getting into college? They could live off the fortunes of Mossimo’s and Macy’s forever without ever working or lifting a finger.

by Anonymousreply 90March 13, 2019 2:31 AM

The Olivia Jade kid is awful. You checked out her YouTube channel and it was insufferable. The fact that her parents took pictures of their kids on a rowing machine to perpetuate the lie that they were rowing athletes is the worst. I love that the guidance counselor called them out on it. Now will someone PLEASE reveal how one of Demi Moores kids really got into Brown?

by Anonymousreply 91March 13, 2019 2:31 AM

I guess Lori won’t be live Tweeting with the mug cradlers on Sunday during the new episode of ‘When Calls The Heart.’

by Anonymousreply 92March 13, 2019 2:31 AM

R83, although not true with OJ, many of the female students were admitted as provisional applicants for sports they never played. If you're a top athlete, you have a pretty unlimited choice of schools except for a school like Stanford, which does not weight athletic achievement ahead of academics, which is why the Stanford sailing coach's attempts were so pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 93March 13, 2019 2:31 AM

So if Mr. Lori had to post 1 million won't that be the same for Ms. Lori too? Will the mansion cover both of them? Poor cash poor critters. My heart bleeds.

by Anonymousreply 94March 13, 2019 2:32 AM

R93 I though both of Lori’s kids were fake crew team members?

by Anonymousreply 95March 13, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote]No we don't. Sentences do not now have to be re-calibrated to make Manafort's ridiculously short one seem fair by comparison. Fuck that. People should be judged on the (de)merits of their own crimes.

Well hunny, you should call up the experts on CNN and tell them, because they are the ones who brought up Manafort. At the end of the day it's up to the inconsistent US judicial system, so who knows what the outcome will be.

by Anonymousreply 96March 13, 2019 2:33 AM

Can't they just threaten to break kneecaps like the Guidice girls will do to get into Suffolk Community College?

by Anonymousreply 97March 13, 2019 2:34 AM

I thought mossimo sold the company to target years ago after going into bankruptcy

by Anonymousreply 98March 13, 2019 2:35 AM

Meanwhile, for the 99%...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 13, 2019 2:35 AM

I have a niece who goes to Berklee. She committed to a sport in 11th grade. She's very good but still had to have over a 4.0 and high SATs to go. These fakers should be kicked out.

by Anonymousreply 100March 13, 2019 2:35 AM

Even the Addams family had better values.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 13, 2019 2:36 AM

r95 I think with Lori's kids we have a case of Yolanda syndrome, when it was GiGi and "da udder one". So right now we are all focused on "OJ" (Oy vey!)

by Anonymousreply 102March 13, 2019 2:36 AM

R80 I was not very social at UCB, doubled majored in Russian and microbiology, spent too much free time at language labs in Dwinelle Hall. Wasn't until senior year that I went a bit cray.

by Anonymousreply 103March 13, 2019 2:36 AM

R99 what a depressing story. How could a public school ask for back tuition though?

by Anonymousreply 104March 13, 2019 2:38 AM

There's no way Tahlula Willis studied her way to an Ivy League. Fess up, Demi!

by Anonymousreply 105March 13, 2019 2:39 AM

I just want to speculate about how it might feel if your parents are like these people. Imagine knowing that what you do, the schools within your reach, aren’t GOOD ENOUGH. You’re so inept in their eyes that they have to spend all that money to bring you up to their standards of acceptability.

That has to suck.

But I don’t feel bad for filler-face Insta-Ho. She’s awful.

by Anonymousreply 106March 13, 2019 2:40 AM

Lol at r97

by Anonymousreply 107March 13, 2019 2:40 AM

Couldn’t Felicity have gotten Yolanda Saldivar to scare those leakers?

by Anonymousreply 108March 13, 2019 2:41 AM

Berklee isn't renowned for its athletic department. How good can your niece be?

by Anonymousreply 109March 13, 2019 2:42 AM

R109 they're division 1 in her sport

by Anonymousreply 110March 13, 2019 2:43 AM

Berklee is a music school R100.

by Anonymousreply 111March 13, 2019 2:44 AM

What is her sport R110?

by Anonymousreply 112March 13, 2019 2:44 AM

UC Berkley does make a lot off their football program.

by Anonymousreply 113March 13, 2019 2:45 AM

Does no one check to see if student who had athletics admission ever play the sport once while in school?

by Anonymousreply 114March 13, 2019 2:45 AM

If it's Berklee, maybe her sport is violin screeching?

by Anonymousreply 115March 13, 2019 2:45 AM

Lol. I meant Berkley in California. Sorry. I live in Boston and spelled it like BCOM

by Anonymousreply 116March 13, 2019 2:46 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 13, 2019 2:46 AM

I'm not the Oh, Dear type, but it is UC Berkeley (note all of those extra pesky "e"s) But why we are even talking about it right now is beyond me

by Anonymousreply 118March 13, 2019 2:47 AM

Joan Crawford would never have done this for Christina.

by Anonymousreply 119March 13, 2019 2:47 AM

Has Eva Longoria commented yet?

Brenda Strong?

Frances McDormand?

Jesse Metcalfe?

by Anonymousreply 120March 13, 2019 2:48 AM

Lori is a religious conservative, popular among the fundie crowd. She'll have a comeback on the wingnut welfare circuit lecturing about how Jesus got her back on the right path.

by Anonymousreply 121March 13, 2019 2:48 AM

R118, we just thought it funny some guy thought his niece was an amazing athlete because she got into Berklee on an athletic scholarship.

by Anonymousreply 122March 13, 2019 2:49 AM

r79 ALL Fundies are fake ones.

by Anonymousreply 123March 13, 2019 2:49 AM

and you all thought I was the crazy one.

by Anonymousreply 124March 13, 2019 2:50 AM

In that case R121 Felicity will make a comeback because she found Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 125March 13, 2019 2:50 AM

DL Fave OJ was CC'd on some of the emails apparently so...charges for the princess please.

Felicity said she didn't want her daughter's score to go up TOO high because she didn't want her daughter to be suspicious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 13, 2019 2:51 AM

I always liked Teri R124. Don't know much about her or her daughter, but her daughter did go to a community college.

by Anonymousreply 127March 13, 2019 2:51 AM

Who's next to be outed in the scandal?

by Anonymousreply 128March 13, 2019 2:51 AM

R7 Honey, not only can’t Kylie spell SAT, she can’t even spell Kylie.

by Anonymousreply 129March 13, 2019 2:52 AM

But will Lori FORGIVE US? Publically? Condescendingly? On the 700 Club?

by Anonymousreply 130March 13, 2019 2:53 AM

It wasn't her daughter R126, but the boards would think it suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 131March 13, 2019 2:53 AM

BEST SCANDAL EVAH!!!!

Loving it!!

by Anonymousreply 132March 13, 2019 2:54 AM

Just heard on CNN that it is over 700 individuals involved in this.

by Anonymousreply 133March 13, 2019 2:54 AM

are Lori and Felicity friends?!

by Anonymousreply 134March 13, 2019 2:55 AM

One of my daughters is at Yale now. The pretty one. She's using a different last name than the Gummer ones. I know they just want me to show up for fundraisers but I have my nomination total to work on.

by Anonymousreply 135March 13, 2019 2:55 AM

R131 she was worried about the school AND her daughter

by Anonymousreply 136March 13, 2019 2:55 AM

Busted for something like this. Pathetic. These morons couldn't kill a six year old over Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 137March 13, 2019 2:55 AM

I was bracing myself to see a list dominated by Asian names but nope just the one. I'm guessing the Asian cheaters are using organizations that don't get caught.

The non-cheating high achieving Asian American students get a bad rap sometimes, but at least, they really do earn those high test scores and grades.

by Anonymousreply 138March 13, 2019 2:56 AM

We’ve only had that one guy who has tried to vaguely bring up the Illuminati, p-gate, etc.

Thankfully!

And no fucking Felicity or Lori stans!!!

by Anonymousreply 139March 13, 2019 2:56 AM

Lori should pull from the republican/Chump playbook and play the victimized conservative. She say she's being persecuted because the FBI hates religious people.

by Anonymousreply 140March 13, 2019 2:56 AM

^ No hidden meaning in that.

by Anonymousreply 141March 13, 2019 2:56 AM

R133 Holy shit...I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off just for this. God I love it.

by Anonymousreply 142March 13, 2019 2:56 AM

The fundies never miss a corrupt opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 143March 13, 2019 2:57 AM

R136 please provide a link she was worried about her daughter finding out.

by Anonymousreply 144March 13, 2019 2:57 AM

I'm so disappointed in Felicity. I thought she was one of the good ones. If it's true that she didn't want her kid to realize her answers were changed can you imagine how that poor kid is feeling tonight?

by Anonymousreply 145March 13, 2019 2:58 AM

I remember the story that Teri Shields wanted a Harvard application for Brooke but only if they guaranteed her admission.

by Anonymousreply 146March 13, 2019 2:59 AM

Please tell me Kirk Cameron is involved in this SCANDAL.

by Anonymousreply 147March 13, 2019 2:59 AM

I wonder if Lori is busy getting a ton of IVs to flush all of the coke out her system for tomorrow's drug test.

I have no clue if that is even a thing, but I like the imagery.

by Anonymousreply 148March 13, 2019 2:59 AM

[quote]Lori should pull from the republican/Chump playbook and play the victimized conservative. She say she's being persecuted because the FBI hates religious people.

I don't think she can play that. Some of the people arrested are Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 149March 13, 2019 3:00 AM

I think you need three days to get coke out of your body.

by Anonymousreply 150March 13, 2019 3:00 AM

This is delicious, delicious.

by Anonymousreply 151March 13, 2019 3:01 AM

I always wondered how Tiffany Trump got into Georgetown, but Trump probably just paid the school off. No way would he be so invested in all these shenanigans like Felicity or Lori.

by Anonymousreply 152March 13, 2019 3:02 AM

In her last book Brooke pretty much admitted she only got into Princeton on her name.

by Anonymousreply 153March 13, 2019 3:03 AM

R147 as IF he'd ever want one of his kids to do fancy book learning

by Anonymousreply 154March 13, 2019 3:03 AM

[Quote] If it's true that she didn't want her kid to realize her answers were changed can you imagine how that poor kid is feeling tonight?

Apparently she's not very bright. I can't imagine she's figured out that this is all about her.

by Anonymousreply 155March 13, 2019 3:04 AM

Sometimes your parents can be your own worse enemy. How many of us heard "I only want you to be happy" when we came out to them and they totally rejected us. What Felicity and Lori did to their child harmed them. They put them (or would have) in a position for failure because they were not qualified to be in college. I remember years ago hearing "everyone's a genius," it is just finding out what you are good at.

by Anonymousreply 156March 13, 2019 3:04 AM

r152, Yea Chump is so above shady shenanigans, more like only if it's his shenanigan. I seem to remember something about a university.

by Anonymousreply 157March 13, 2019 3:04 AM

It's not hard to get accepted to Georgetown Law.

It accepts a high percentage compared to a top ten school.

NYU Law grad

by Anonymousreply 158March 13, 2019 3:05 AM

R145 She's not, just ask Teri Hatcher and Nicollette Sheridan. For starters.

by Anonymousreply 159March 13, 2019 3:06 AM

Values as plastic as their faces. Vile parents concerned with their social standing, not their kids' happiness.

by Anonymousreply 160March 13, 2019 3:07 AM

[quote]Sometimes your parents can be your own worse enemy. How many of us heard "I only want you to be happy"

True. False.

by Anonymousreply 161March 13, 2019 3:07 AM

This scandal is so embarrassing. Were the parents ashamed that their kids were not smart enough to get into a good school? Cheating is so tacky and I hope they do hard time.

by Anonymousreply 162March 13, 2019 3:08 AM

There is no way Felicity's daughter had no idea. She was allowed to take it in twice the allotted time, over 2 days. She would have talked to her peers and teachers and understood this was a massive benefit to her that other students wouldn't have. Hell, the hardest problem with these exams are that you don't have enough time, if we all had 2 days we all would have aced them.

by Anonymousreply 163March 13, 2019 3:10 AM

This is disgusting! These people should be ashamed!

by Anonymousreply 164March 13, 2019 3:10 AM

It's even worse because they gave her more time and also corrected her answers. Humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 165March 13, 2019 3:12 AM

[quote] She was allowed to take it in twice the allotted time, over 2 days

I hope this case shines a light on that whole practice. All a kid has to say is they have "anxiety" or something like that and they are allowed this extra time.

by Anonymousreply 166March 13, 2019 3:14 AM

All of this is giving me more pleasure than I'd like to admit. I worked my ass off to get into Univ of Michigan, a public school, so for these rich famous bitches to go around the system with their money to get their dumb ass kids into top universities where they should not be, speaks more about them than their kids. Mr & Mrs. Lori and Felicity wanted to brag that their kids went to a top university.

I can't wait for Ms. Lori's court house stroll with sunglasses and a legal team in tow. For shame!

by Anonymousreply 167March 13, 2019 3:14 AM

R127 Teri's daughter is currently attending Brown. I think the daughter earned her spot there. Teri is known to be quite frugal and I can't see her willing to bribe/pay up money to be a part of scheme like Felicity did.

by Anonymousreply 168March 13, 2019 3:15 AM

So do you guys think Mr. and Ms. Lori are having one last fuck fest, or are they throwing things and screaming at each other? Must be a weird vibe in both houses tonight. Felicity IS back home right? I just assumed but maybe I am wrong.

by Anonymousreply 169March 13, 2019 3:18 AM

Thanks for the update R168. She did go to De Anza College.

by Anonymousreply 170March 13, 2019 3:18 AM

Has Lori fled to a country that doesn’t have extradition?

by Anonymousreply 171March 13, 2019 3:18 AM

I wonder how mattress girl feels about all of this?

by Anonymousreply 172March 13, 2019 3:19 AM

That'd be dumb. She should just come back to CA and get it over with. You know she's not going to prison, but if she runs she might get some jail time.

by Anonymousreply 173March 13, 2019 3:20 AM

r170 and De Anza is actually nothing to sneeze at academically. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 174March 13, 2019 3:20 AM

The types of people who watch Lori's crap are the type who have Trump sign their friggin bible. You better believe she'll be fine with those hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 175March 13, 2019 3:23 AM

I hope they are sentenced to whatever a non-celebrity and/or wealthy person would be if they committed a similar crime (regardless of financial scale). On the same token, I don't want them sentenced to more time than is canon simply as a means of making an example out of them. I hope there's at least the pretense that justice is blind and fair in this case.

by Anonymousreply 176March 13, 2019 3:24 AM

Bruce Willis bought Aaron Carter a million $ in gifts, how much do we think he paid for Tallulah's Ivy League college?

by Anonymousreply 177March 13, 2019 3:25 AM

I hope there is an Easter bunny, r176. But I know your heart is in the right place.

by Anonymousreply 178March 13, 2019 3:25 AM

I hope that Lori and her husband end up serving time in prison. The husband sounds like a nasty piece of work regarding how he treated that school counselor.

I see Felicity getting a slap on the wrist.

by Anonymousreply 179March 13, 2019 3:27 AM

I don't know anything about the Huffman-Macy kids, but Lori Loughlan is going to have a hard time finding sympathy with OJ as her daughter. That kid reeks of entitlement. Even if Lori apologizes and says she was only trying to help her kids, OJ will need a crisis manager. OJ might have to start going to class and studying for a change.

by Anonymousreply 180March 13, 2019 3:27 AM

TMZ is probably not going to release the mugshot until tomorrow if they even have it. It is getting too late on the East Coast for them to get all of the clicks they want. Cockteasers.

by Anonymousreply 181March 13, 2019 3:28 AM

Those FBI agents at the press conference today seemed pissed off. It’s their kids who are being cheated out of a place at these schools after all. They seemed to take it personally.

by Anonymousreply 182March 13, 2019 3:29 AM

R180 She will end up being a yacht girl, if she isn't doing that already.

by Anonymousreply 183March 13, 2019 3:29 AM

Tallulah went to Wildwood High in LA and it's an academic joke. Not to say she didn't do well there, I don't know but it's not a prestigious private but a school known for the not bright kids of celebs.

by Anonymousreply 184March 13, 2019 3:30 AM

USC students had shirts that said “my maid went to UCLA yrs ago

by Anonymousreply 185March 13, 2019 3:32 AM

[Quote] Wildwood High

Sounds like a HS I would've actually enjoyed going to

by Anonymousreply 186March 13, 2019 3:33 AM

I read in Ivana’s book “Raising Trump” that ivankas classmate was trying to have a birthday party in Vegas and miss school and the teacher wouldn’t allow ivanka to take a test another day to attend even tho Donald called to ask.

by Anonymousreply 187March 13, 2019 3:35 AM

omg you guys, Brown is the Ivy for stupid people. JFK Jr went there, and he ain't bright.

by Anonymousreply 188March 13, 2019 3:38 AM

I'm sure his light has been dimmed over the years R188.

by Anonymousreply 189March 13, 2019 3:39 AM

TMZ has footage of Felicity leaving the building. She is walking quickly yet smugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 13, 2019 3:39 AM

That harry potter actress went there, too.

by Anonymousreply 191March 13, 2019 3:39 AM

R188 Fugly John Krasinksi and his fug pal BJ Novak attended Brown too.

by Anonymousreply 192March 13, 2019 3:40 AM

Response was for R188.

Boy these threads are moving fast.

by Anonymousreply 193March 13, 2019 3:41 AM

oops BJ Novak attended Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 194March 13, 2019 3:41 AM

Diana Ross's ugly spawnTracee attended Brown.

by Anonymousreply 195March 13, 2019 3:42 AM

I'm telling you Brown is for dumb people who like to pretend they are smart! It's worse than Cornell. At least Cornell has good hotel mgt school etc.

by Anonymousreply 196March 13, 2019 3:43 AM

Susan Sarandon's cunt daughter attended Brown as well. I bet Susan paid a pretty penny for her to get in.

by Anonymousreply 197March 13, 2019 3:44 AM

NOT BROWN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 13, 2019 3:45 AM

Brown is the WORST ivy! Everyone knows...

by Anonymousreply 199March 13, 2019 3:47 AM

Lorne Michaels must be kicking himself that SNL isn’t on again until the 30th. I guess Kate McKinnon plays Huffman, Cecily Strong plays Lori Laughlin and Heidi Gardner plays Olivia Jade?

by Anonymousreply 200March 13, 2019 3:48 AM

Is there a best/worst colleges thread that I don't know about that we could direct people to?

by Anonymousreply 201March 13, 2019 3:49 AM

Cornell is full of little geniuses in engineering, math, and cs as is Brown. The fact that Brown lets in any semifamous celeb spawn to major in pot smoking for five years doesnt invalidate that

by Anonymousreply 202March 13, 2019 3:50 AM

Enough about Brown. Everyone knows that's where celeb kids go just to say they got a degree to please mommy and daddy. Its a good deal for celeb kids who actually become entertainers themselves and just want to get that college bullshit out the way.

by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2019 3:50 AM

I want to hear more from Chris Pine's roommate!

by Anonymousreply 204March 13, 2019 3:50 AM

I would say go to a good state school and ace it. Get lots of work experience, internships etc. Spend the money going to a top grad school, that's more worth it in terms of value. You go to the top school for your interest/major. Undergrad is so overrated. no need to go to Harvard or Yale, save your money for grad school like Harvard Law or MBA at Stern School of Biz (NYU)

by Anonymousreply 205March 13, 2019 3:51 AM

wow, Chris Pine is pretty and smart!!! What was his major?

by Anonymousreply 206March 13, 2019 3:52 AM

Kids have an excuse for being crass status-seeking snobs: they are young and dumb. You just hope they grow out of it as they mature; sadly, this didn't happen with the shitty parents who raised them. Don't expect any true remorse from this crew: they regret getting caught, that's it.

by Anonymousreply 207March 13, 2019 3:52 AM

wow. Mr Lori is looking soo fucking old and haggard!

by Anonymousreply 208March 13, 2019 3:53 AM

R26 is right. I went to an Ivy undergrad. There are tons of very wealthy students, some celebs, but mostly the children of very influential people (politicians, actors, big business CEOs). It's not that everyone is paying people off or making large donations to get in, but there is an expectation that these wealthy students or their families will make large donations over the long term. It is for this reason that Ivies will accept so many of these types of students even when their grades and test scores are a bit lower than standard. The schools do like the cache these children of the elite bring to the school, but money talks loudest. I was a regular white, middle class kid and very ignorant to the rules of the game, so to speak. I believed in meritocracy till I believed no more. It's just not the way our country works and no where is that more evident than elite prep and Ivy League schools. While my financial-aid-needing self had to score in the 1500s on the SATs (and this was in the 90s before they 'dumbed down' the test) and win a bunch of national awards to even have a chance of getting in, many of my coevals just had to graduate from the right feeder prep school or have an uncle who was a senator. And if it was discovered that a student had gotten in solely because of a large donation, this would oddly be regarded with a mix of disdain and envy.

Sidenote: The list of actors who have gone to Ivies because they come from wealthy, prominent families is far longer than most people realize. Just google a few actors or their kids or the kids of your favorite politicians! Of course, half of them are dim, but like I said, it's the way it is. Felicity must not have known that her name alone would have gotten her daughter far. She didn't have to do this. Paul Giamatti's dad was the President of Yale. Did she or William work with him in anything? At least that would have been legal!

by Anonymousreply 209March 13, 2019 3:54 AM

seriously, University of fucking San Diego? That school is hard to get in? my god, how retarded are these kids?

by Anonymousreply 210March 13, 2019 3:54 AM

Why wasn't CNN camped outside innocent Felicity's house for the unfair witch-hunt armed invasion? Whyyyyy?

by Anonymousreply 211March 13, 2019 3:55 AM

Prosecutors said in court on Tuesday that some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

by Anonymousreply 212March 13, 2019 3:56 AM

It's a white collar crime. Fines for everyone and all move on, except the kids who will be expelled.

by Anonymousreply 213March 13, 2019 3:57 AM

I'm sort of shocked there's nothing about the story on ESPN. It's absolutely the biggest sports story and nothing.

by Anonymousreply 214March 13, 2019 3:57 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 13, 2019 3:57 AM

Mr. Lori looks like a deer caught in headlights in that TMZ video posted above.

by Anonymousreply 216March 13, 2019 3:57 AM

This is what baffles me about cheating. I went to a pretty exclusive & competitive L.A. area prep school in the 1980s. The kind of place where everyone got in *somewhere*.

There was huge cheating scandal my senior year. A group of six seniors had the "brilliant idea" to bribe the school's night cleaning crew (an outside contractor) to let them into some teachers' offices, the week before winter exams. (the last grades to be sent to college admissions offices). They got their hands on 4-5 exams.

Of course, it all blew up in their faces because: a) none of "The Six" could keep it to themselves:, and b) our teachers weren't stupid.

There ended up being nearly 40 girls involved -- senior & juniors. (Spanish, French, Math & Science classes were often mixed). Our school originally had a very hard & strict cheating policy. If you were caught cheating, you were OUT, period! No questions asked. But THIS was unprecedented. How could you expel SO many students at one time?

So, they doled out punishment, based on the level of involvement, exposure to the test(s), and your willingness to cooperate with the investigation. For example, if someone admitted to seeing the questions, right on that day of the test, say 20 minutes beforehand? You were given a one week suspension. If you were given a copy of the test a couple days beforehand (with time to really study it & prepare), you were given a 2-3 week suspension. The only girls expelled were The Six who participated in the initial theft/bribery (and refused to confess to their crime).

It was a huge drama that left a blight on my senior class. The thing that was really SAD......NONE of them really needed to do that! Oh sure, a couple of them weren't going to get into their first choice/top tier colleges.....but they were all going to get into somewhere respectable, just based on our school's name. Case in point. Even after being expelled for cheating, "The Six" ended up earning degrees from Cal, UCLA, NYU, Northwestern, Occidental College & Boston University.

by Anonymousreply 217March 13, 2019 3:57 AM

I never knew that Loughlin's kid was one of those social media whore- types. She's gotta be going through withdrawal right about now

by Anonymousreply 218March 13, 2019 3:58 AM

Will Felicity and Lori become friends and/or cell mates?

by Anonymousreply 219March 13, 2019 3:58 AM

"although not true with OJ, many of the female students were admitted as provisional applicants for sports they never played."

It wasn't just female students. Deadspin has a really hilarious article about the lengths the parents would go to in order to pretend their kids were "athletes" - read the part about the kid who pretended to be a kicker on the football team or the 5'5" kid who was a "basketball recruit"

by Anonymousreply 220March 13, 2019 3:58 AM

FBI came at 6am! I thought it was 7am.

Seven FBI agents showed up to Huffman's home in Hollywood Hills at 6am on Tuesday, drew their weapons, and ordered the actress to come out and surrender.

Sources told TMZ that Huffman, Macy, and their two daughters had been asleep inside the home when the agents arrived.

by Anonymousreply 221March 13, 2019 3:59 AM

Oops, sorry, here's the article I mentioned at r220

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 13, 2019 3:59 AM

Huffman's younger kid is 16, everyone must think she's fucking stupid just like her elder sister.

by Anonymousreply 223March 13, 2019 4:00 AM

[quote]Will Felicity and Lori become friends and/or cell mates?

On day one, they better find the biggest one in there and either beat the shit out of her or become her plaything.

by Anonymousreply 224March 13, 2019 4:01 AM

[quote] Prosecutors said in court on Tuesday that some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Is that a problem?

by Anonymousreply 225March 13, 2019 4:01 AM

Most of these kids aren't even necessarily "stupid" though - schools like Yale turn down a TON of kids, not just the dummies (most dumb kids aren't going to apply to Yale, anyway, unless their parents are famous or billionaires). They turn away kids who were valedictorians and have high SAT scores.

by Anonymousreply 226March 13, 2019 4:02 AM

Who gives a fuck! It’s only colkege. They should be able to run their company however they want.

by Anonymousreply 227March 13, 2019 4:02 AM

Not sure if anyone ever responded to R9:

[quote]The guy wore a wire for the FBI, but the transcripts show that mutual consent for the conversation to be taped, at least in Felicity's case, was given. (In California, both parties have to consent), So did he just use a ruse "taping for my notes" or...?

I assume you're talking about the UT tennis coach. Just FYI, in Texas it's perfectly legal to record a conversation if at least *one* party to it consents. (For this same reason it's legal to record one's own phone calls and legally use them if needed for some reason.) I know the two most high-profile parents here are Hollywood actresses, but they're the only two on the list. The rest of the parents mostly live outside of L.A. (and many outside of California), and most of the schools they scammed were outside of the state as well.

by Anonymousreply 228March 13, 2019 4:03 AM

r222 Great, thank you!

Guys, check this part out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229March 13, 2019 4:05 AM

[quote]Who gives a fuck! It’s only colkege. They should be able to run their company however they want.

People like Kushner get into high positions because of these advantages, you half-wit. Don't over-simplify the very reason so many aspects of society are fucked up. Entitled people who get advantages they haven't earned, making decisions for society as a whole and you want to pretend it's not a big deal because "thinking is hard."

by Anonymousreply 230March 13, 2019 4:05 AM

USC is looking really bad here:

You will notice USC features prominently in the FBI investigation. Their findings allege that USC Senior Associate Director Donna Heinel was in on the scheme, and even personally took bribes of $20,000 per month in exchange for accepting an applicant as a fake basketball player:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231March 13, 2019 4:07 AM

really r158?

I always wanted to go to Georgetown. Not for any academic reason but just to visit and discuss locations from The Exorcist.

Hmmmm, maybe my parents will buy me a place at the law school.

by Anonymousreply 232March 13, 2019 4:08 AM

I didn't realize USC was so hard to get into (undergrad anyway).

by Anonymousreply 233March 13, 2019 4:08 AM

r228 Thanks! That was me. I was more curious about him taping Felicity as she is in California (both parties must consent), and this guy, who they call the "mastermind" was located in CA as well from what I understand.

by Anonymousreply 234March 13, 2019 4:09 AM

[quote]Huffman's younger kid is 16, everyone must think she's fucking stupid just like her elder sister.

I feel sorry for that kid. She's probably the only innocent one in her family. I'm not buying that the older daughter didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 235March 13, 2019 4:11 AM

USC's acceptance rate has gone down in recent years (18%) but that is more because of the media culture we live in which has made so many kids want to go to school in NYC or LA.

by Anonymousreply 236March 13, 2019 4:11 AM

I think USC's drama/acting/flim school is supposed to be good? The oldest one wants to be an actress (macy's kid)

by Anonymousreply 237March 13, 2019 4:12 AM

I'm dying to know what else FBI were investigating that made them discover this "accidentally" Is the thing they were investigating that lead to this even bigger, or did this mess end up being the bigger of the two?

by Anonymousreply 238March 13, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]UCLA is not a state school. State schools are Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Hayward, all bottom of the barrel like all State schools. UCLA is part of the UC system and is prestigious.

R14, UCLA *is* a state school, even if it's an unusually good one with selective admissions criteria. It receives government funding and is required by state law to accept undergraduate class bodies comprised of 92.5% Californians, as is Cal-Berkeley. It also has to offer in-state students lower tuition rates, although the differential has been cut substantially over the past 20 years as its state funding has gradually been cut back.

California, much like Texas, has multiple tiers of "state schools." In Texas's case its two "elite" schools are the two flagships among its tiers (UT-Austin and Texas A&M-College Station), whereas California has most of the Cal system for that. UT obviously isn't as good a school as UCLA academically speaking, but the vast majority of its undergrads are automatically admitted under a Texas law that requires them to admit the top 8% of every high school class in the state. Similar to UCLA, UT is required by law to admit a class comprised of no more than 10% out-of-state students.

by Anonymousreply 239March 13, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]The oldest one wants to be an actress (macy's kid)

She better start saying she's related to the department store or change her name.

by Anonymousreply 240March 13, 2019 4:13 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241March 13, 2019 4:14 AM

r237 I can only speak to USC's film school. One of the most excellent, and it is a very difficult program to get into. They don't want slouches fucking up their reputation, at least in that department.

by Anonymousreply 242March 13, 2019 4:15 AM

Is he the only one of the Kardashian kids to go college?

by Anonymousreply 243March 13, 2019 4:16 AM

The last US News had USC ranked #22, tied with Cal. UCLA was #19.

by Anonymousreply 244March 13, 2019 4:16 AM

r236 USC IS in LA

by Anonymousreply 245March 13, 2019 4:17 AM

[quote]Is he the only one of the Kardashian kids to go college?

And with the lowest income...

by Anonymousreply 246March 13, 2019 4:17 AM

He's gotta hit that track again soon before he strokes out.

by Anonymousreply 247March 13, 2019 4:18 AM

Forbes had USC #30 and UCLA #46.

by Anonymousreply 248March 13, 2019 4:19 AM

Is Lori the feckless cunt still on the run in Canada?

by Anonymousreply 249March 13, 2019 4:19 AM

R241, USC has climbed significantly in the rankings over the past 20 years, and R236, it used to accept closer to 40% of applicants. As already noted, it *is* in L.A., albeit in the 'hood (near Watts, whereas UCLA is in much posher Westwood).

by Anonymousreply 250March 13, 2019 4:20 AM

Rob's daddy probably knows lots of VIPs in USC, and got him in. or have clients who have pull there. He's quite dumb.

Yes, USC used to be so easy to get in...

by Anonymousreply 251March 13, 2019 4:21 AM

No one give them a rock hammer or a poster once they're in the clink! these two are crafty. Take no chances!

by Anonymousreply 252March 13, 2019 4:21 AM

r249 I'm surprised they didn't have paps at whatever airport her pwivate pwane landed at. Paps are getting lazy!

by Anonymousreply 253March 13, 2019 4:21 AM

Is Felicity still in the hoosegow?

Is she getting pegged by a burly matron tonight?

WHERE IS FELICITY??

by Anonymousreply 254March 13, 2019 4:22 AM

r254 r190 has footage of her hoofing it out of there. Not much but it's something.

by Anonymousreply 255March 13, 2019 4:23 AM

Felicity posted bail and is out. She's wearing glasses in the pic I saw

by Anonymousreply 256March 13, 2019 4:23 AM

at r190 Mr. Lori looks like a strung out homeless person who hasn't eaten in a month.

by Anonymousreply 257March 13, 2019 4:25 AM

I haven't read every post in all of these threads, but has it been mentioned that Huffman and Macy have been rumored to have a rather volatile marriage, so this can't be good.

by Anonymousreply 258March 13, 2019 4:26 AM

I love her recipe for soda bread, I think it's the addition of orange peal and dried currants that really makes it...

by Anonymousreply 259March 13, 2019 4:26 AM

[quote]What exactly were they charged with? It's actually not illegal to bribe a school for admission.

Not sure if anyone responded to R52's bullshit, but it's actually *totally* illegal to bribe a school for admission! It's called fraud, and in this case conspiracy was in the mix as well. Worse (for the defendants, or at least some of them), it took place across state lines, which gives the feds (and FBI) jurisdiction over it.

You can't legally perpetrate a fraudulent scheme to cheat the SAT and ACT in mass numbers. You can't legally bribe school officials to be complicit in your illicit schemes to get your children into a good school; that's collusion (and IF ONLY Trump engaged in it to get his shitty kids into good schools!). And btw the parties on BOTH ends are legally culpable, hence the reason both the parents and the actual con artists were indicted.

by Anonymousreply 260March 13, 2019 4:26 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261March 13, 2019 4:27 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262March 13, 2019 4:28 AM

God, those bogus rankings are part of the ridiculous snobbish culture that creates these nightmare parents and students obsessed with getting into a so-called elite school. You can find good profs and bad profs anywhere, whatever the ranking of their college.

by Anonymousreply 263March 13, 2019 4:29 AM

Hey guys, looking at the pictures, did Lori get a nose job? and her daughters as well? they are so pointy!

by Anonymousreply 264March 13, 2019 4:29 AM

More about the bribe-taking coaches

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265March 13, 2019 4:29 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266March 13, 2019 4:32 AM

I still don’t understand how they could pretend to be athletes to get admitted, but then not play sports once school started. Wouldn’t someone in the athletic department be looking for their water polo star?

Am I just stupid?

by Anonymousreply 267March 13, 2019 4:32 AM

Lori and her husband will most certainly do time, they had their minor child participate in a felonious crime.

by Anonymousreply 268March 13, 2019 4:33 AM

R244 No serious person trusts US New Report top college rankings anymore.

by Anonymousreply 269March 13, 2019 4:33 AM

r262 That fat fuck is a sailing coach? Holy cow! Literally!

by Anonymousreply 270March 13, 2019 4:33 AM

She couldn't leave the courtroom because the press was blocking the door.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271March 13, 2019 4:33 AM

Yes r245. That is what I said.

by Anonymousreply 272March 13, 2019 4:34 AM

R260. Racketeering. That's what this is about. That's why it's a federal crime and why the penalties are great. If you write your kid's college essay, you're immoral. If you bribe an admissions officer, you may be doing something illegal but time-honored. But take part in a multi-state, systematic, long-term racket, and you're in trouble. Or so my husband says.

by Anonymousreply 273March 13, 2019 4:34 AM

R267, the sports coaches at the schools are in on the scam.

by Anonymousreply 274March 13, 2019 4:34 AM

It's not even 24 hours since they were charged and the first person to defend Felicity is....David Mamet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275March 13, 2019 4:35 AM

Where's the dude that was complaining that only Chinese kids cheat to get into University. Hmmm looks like your American brethren aren't fairing much better.

by Anonymousreply 276March 13, 2019 4:35 AM

Happy 69th Birthday, William H. Macy.

by Anonymousreply 277March 13, 2019 4:35 AM

"I still don’t understand how they could pretend to be athletes to get admitted, but then not play sports once school started. Wouldn’t someone in the athletic department be looking for their water polo star?"

Because the coaches and athletic departments are in on it

by Anonymousreply 278March 13, 2019 4:35 AM

R271's pic is utterly amazing.

Thank you R271.

by Anonymousreply 279March 13, 2019 4:35 AM

Rob Lowe throws shade at the ladies. Interesting read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 13, 2019 4:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 13, 2019 4:36 AM

R263, totally true. My law degree is from Cambridge. It looks good on my CV even to this day, and they set tough exams I will give them that, but the day-to-day teaching and supervising of students was (to my surprise) in places very poor and you just taught yourself the syllabus for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 282March 13, 2019 4:37 AM

[quote]Because the coaches and athletic departments are in on it

...and the phone is [italic]inside the house![/italic]

by Anonymousreply 283March 13, 2019 4:37 AM

LOL at Rob Lowe pretending his kids got into school based on hard work alone. Yeah, being related to a famous person didn't help them at all......

by Anonymousreply 284March 13, 2019 4:38 AM

I got into Yale the old fashioned way. I repressed my homosexuality, memorized useless vocabulary words, and padded my resume with pointless extracurriculars. The ancient ways are dying and that makes me sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285March 13, 2019 4:39 AM

r271, that photo should win a pull litzer, brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 286March 13, 2019 4:40 AM

My daddy could only get me into UC: Santa Barbara. It was such a long commute to my auditions. So I dropped out and became self-made.

by Anonymousreply 287March 13, 2019 4:40 AM

Gotta give Rob Lowe credit for raising decent kids. maybe the mom helped a lot. His kids ain't cute so gotta rely on brain power...

by Anonymousreply 288March 13, 2019 4:40 AM

Mamet's letter is so gross, like a parody. "A parent's zeal". What garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 13, 2019 4:41 AM

The entitlement of those who engage in this sort of enterprise (noting those recently arrested are innocent until proven guilty of course...) is utterly insufferable.

Your kids aren’t that smart, and you as a family need to get over this, and the kid needs to realise it and recognise ways to get on in life anyway. There are tried-and-tested ways to use money and influence to get kids into certain schools (I would hate to get into college that way but it happens), or you just go to the level of school that your academic performance honestly warrants, like every other fucker out there.

by Anonymousreply 290March 13, 2019 4:42 AM

"Gotta give Rob Lowe credit for raising decent kids."

Who says they're decent? Rob himself? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 291March 13, 2019 4:42 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292March 13, 2019 4:42 AM

@bendreyfuss

I got into college the old fashioned way: by letting my father’s celebrity speak for itself.

by Anonymousreply 293March 13, 2019 4:42 AM

Getting your dumb kids into these universities will only work if they major in liberal arts degrees that are easier to fake your way through e.g. by paying people to write papers. With STEM majors there's no freaking way you can do this and get away with it.

Was just gonna mention Gwyneth didn't even last 1 year at UC Santa Barbara, least academically vigorous of all UC's.

by Anonymousreply 294March 13, 2019 4:42 AM

R284 yep, that’s why I said interesting read. Funny, Rob Lowe had his own legal issues. Money, fame has everything to do with his son’s acceptance. #truthmatters.

by Anonymousreply 295March 13, 2019 4:43 AM

[quote] Not sure if anyone responded to [R52]'s bullshit, but it's actually *totally* illegal to bribe a school for admission! It's called fraud....

How is it "fraud", R260? Don't call "bullshit" on a question you can't answer.

[quote] You can't legally perpetrate a fraudulent scheme to cheat the SAT and ACT in mass numbers.

Yes, that is fraud, bribes are a different matter.

R273 gave a partial answer, but the racketeering applies to Singer, the guy who ran the scam, not the actresses.

by Anonymousreply 296March 13, 2019 4:44 AM

Wow. The Article at R99 pisses me off. Talk about blatant discrimination. Parents pull that shit all the time to get their kids into a better school, and can even ask for an exemption occasionally. To be fined $30,000 because she wasn't paying into the system is bullshit, as Education funds are distributed at the State level. That's White Privilege Bullshit at it's finest. My partner and I are a mixed -race couple trying to raise our sons, and deal with racisim issues that you wouldn't believe, including Education. Sorry to go off-topic.

by Anonymousreply 297March 13, 2019 4:45 AM

R205, I completely agree. I went to a state school where I got an excellent education, but it's not mentioned in the same breath as "Harvard." I went on to a top grad school, where many of my fellow grad students had gone to less-than-famous schools. I did not grow up rich, so I'm very glad I didn't go into debt as an undergrad or spend a ton of money that my parents didn't have. Perhaps a snob from Harvard reading your resume will care that you didn't go there, but it's not worth spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for that eventuality.

On the flip side, while I was a graduate teaching assistant at this "elite" school, I noticed that many of the undergrads were completely burnt out. And they were about 19 years old. They had almost killed themselves just to get in the school, and they had no energy left. Few of them impressed me academically.

by Anonymousreply 298March 13, 2019 4:45 AM

[quote]I still don’t understand how they could pretend to be athletes to get admitted, but then not play sports once school started. Wouldn’t someone in the athletic department be looking for their water polo star?

R267, the only reason they recruited sports coaches as part of the scheme is because pretty much all colleges, up to and including Yale, grant significant deference to students applying for entrance for purposes of joining a team. Admissions offices don't traditionally do much in the way of due diligence for student athletes; they trust the coaches to do so, with the end results turning catastrophic for a variety of reasons. (A much more common one with respect to college athletics is schools giving payola to the most gifted high school athletes to get them to attend, though that's not "fraud" in the same context as today's case. The best of the best can attend basically any college they'd like, and the top sports powerhouses are nearly always in competition for top talent.)

Getting back to these kids: they were never touted as anything close to the "best of the best," but schools have to find even crappy players for all of their teams, and typically just leave it up to the coaches to do so. Somehow I suspect those policies are about to change.

by Anonymousreply 299March 13, 2019 4:45 AM

Another pic of Felicity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 13, 2019 4:46 AM

R289 No kidding. The worst part is the "Not Guilty, but Don’t do it Again" ?! The government has them on tape admitting their involvement. They are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 301March 13, 2019 4:46 AM

Macy and Mamet are friends. So, his (Mamet's) support and excuses for Felicity are not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 302March 13, 2019 4:47 AM

Why Lori Loughlin Probably Won’t Go to Jail for the College Bribery Scandal.

Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman were just named in an indictment with more than 40 people who allegedly participated in a college admissions bribery scandal.

A legal expert just weighed in on whether they could serve jail time.

Legal expert James Leonard Jr. spoke with People about whether the people involved would spend time behind bars or not, and he said that while it could happen, it’s not super likely.

“This is a federal prosecution brought forth by the Department of Justice that carries with it potential life-altering consequences for those involved. The stakes could not be higher,” he said.

After the news broke today that Full House’s Lori Loughlin and Desperate Housewives starFelicity Huffman were among the 40 people allegedly involved in a college admissions bribery scandal, people immediately started to wonder whether they would face any jail time.

A custodial term is always a possibility when you are charged with felonies. The question to ask is if it’s a probability, and in this case, I don’t see it as a probability with respect to the parents involved.”

Huffman is accused of giving $15,000 “to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her oldest daughter,” per the indictment, and Loughlin is accused of paying $500,000 to have her daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team even though neither of them row crew.

So basically, what Leonard is saying is that the parents involved in this scandal are less at-risk for jail time than those running the scandal. Per earlier reports, one man in California is allegedly behind the entire thing.

“At the end of the day, we are talking about parents who tried to help their children,” Leonard said, “and crossed the line in doing so.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303March 13, 2019 4:52 AM

That is their opinion R303. I've heard others said they will get jail time.

by Anonymousreply 304March 13, 2019 4:54 AM

Their parents set such good examples! Nobody will blame them if their kids turn out to be fuck ups!

by Anonymousreply 305March 13, 2019 4:54 AM

Yeah, articles like r303 are the PR machines lurching into action.

by Anonymousreply 306March 13, 2019 4:54 AM

I wonder if any kids will off themselves over this scandal. I wouldn't be surprised...

by Anonymousreply 307March 13, 2019 4:55 AM

R304 I want them to do jail time. We should do a poll.

by Anonymousreply 308March 13, 2019 4:55 AM

R306 Yep. Most legal experts believe the opposite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309March 13, 2019 4:55 AM

“Tried to help their children.” Jeez, the entitlement is sickening, it honestly is.

by Anonymousreply 310March 13, 2019 4:56 AM

[quote]I wonder if any kids will off themselves over this scandal.

If by "off themselves" you mean take off for Bermuda, yes.

by Anonymousreply 311March 13, 2019 4:57 AM

Mamet says the elite schools are corrupt, yet quickly excuses his dear friends' spending tens of thousands of dollars illegally to get their daughter into one such corrupt school. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 312March 13, 2019 4:58 AM

Lori has her daughter's HIDEOUS social media working against her. Plus, she was involved in a much more elaborate and expensive scam

by Anonymousreply 313March 13, 2019 4:58 AM

When you’re too stupid to know how stupid you are: Family Edition.

by Anonymousreply 314March 13, 2019 4:58 AM

I remember Gore Vidal saying that media stars are important to TPTB because when the have-nots get fed up with entitlement, it's the stars who will be loaded in the tumbrels and sent to guillotine, not the real power holders.

by Anonymousreply 315March 13, 2019 5:00 AM

[quote]LOL at Rob Lowe pretending his kids got into school based on hard work alone. Yeah, being related to a famous person didn't help them at all......

Him saying that his sons are "honest" and "hardworking" doesn't necessarily mean that his celebrity and money had nothing to do with them getting in.

However, I think this case lends credence to the idea that having a celebrity parent with money STILL isn't enough to get kids into the school of their choice on their name alone. That's why these two clowns (Felicity and Lori) are going through this now.

What having a celebrity parent / a parent with money does is give you access to a better high school education or even a private school. It also means they can afford to get tutors for their children and pay for multiple practice exams. Hell, they could even hire someone to do the applications and essays for them or review those. There's also the matter of paying for the applications to schools in the first place. They give kids who meet the financial need to "vouchers" but you only get so many of those.

The difference between people like Rob Lowe's sons and Lori/Felicity's kids is that having money and being celebrities wasn't enough of a short cut. As far as we know that celebrity parent didn't hire someone to fake photos or bribe people to mess with standardized test scores even though he could have.

by Anonymousreply 316March 13, 2019 5:01 AM

I'm sure Lowe's kids did it the honest way. one of them is in Law school right now, you can't fake that shit. Plus it's not like Rob Lowe is an A-list celeb, he has a criminal record, I don't think his status was a factor. But he did have the means to hire tutors and practice exams for his kids.

by Anonymousreply 317March 13, 2019 5:07 AM

Rob Lowe is a dem.

by Anonymousreply 318March 13, 2019 5:07 AM

r318, not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 319March 13, 2019 5:09 AM

Not anymore, R318. He's a neocon. Join us in the present. No criticism of trump and he attacks Dems

by Anonymousreply 320March 13, 2019 5:10 AM

I’m disappointed that I have to go to bed, but I’m bookmarking myself at Part II on R362. I’m reading these posts like a novel. It’s too good.

by Anonymousreply 321March 13, 2019 5:11 AM

Facility is fine, she sends her love

by Anonymousreply 322March 13, 2019 5:11 AM

R316, this sounds correct to me. If your parents are SO wealthy that they buy a new wing of whatever faculty then I can see that university might find you a place. And having a decent acting career would allow you to pay private school fees at a reasonable level. But if you’re moderately wealthy and famous and paying those fees but your kids aren’t academically brilliant, then I can’t see how, say, being on Desperate Housewives however many years ago is going to make any difference to whoever is in charge of Admissions or give you any kind of edge over anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 323March 13, 2019 5:11 AM

Mueller report may be released as soon as tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 324March 13, 2019 5:12 AM

Surely there gotta be more parents out there involved?

How did the 2 actresses find this guy?! Who made the introductions? Are these 2 actresses friendly?

by Anonymousreply 325March 13, 2019 5:13 AM

Mamet is now a proud and loony conservative.

Trigger warnings at the link, for delicate flowers like myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326March 13, 2019 5:13 AM

@chrissyteigen

thank u mother for not caring enough to get me into college

by Anonymousreply 327March 13, 2019 5:16 AM

Let me get this straight. Parent(s) are concerned about their child getting into college and decide to pay for their admission. Where is the concern when their child can't keep up with the curriculum? I am having a hard time with parents that set their children up for failure.

by Anonymousreply 328March 13, 2019 5:16 AM

R328, they just pay people to write the essays. they take a BS major and graduate to a no show job at their parent's companies. Many kids of CEOs are in the scam. As many as 30 parents are CEOs according to CNBC.

by Anonymousreply 329March 13, 2019 5:19 AM

Dirty Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330March 13, 2019 5:22 AM

Exactly R328 where was the concern before you allow your child to become a complete airhead? THIS doesn't happen overnight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 13, 2019 5:22 AM

I think many parents are looking at R331 and thinking...of course they have to pay...this child is fucking stupid, no way she gonna get in anywhere....

by Anonymousreply 332March 13, 2019 5:24 AM

Yes but as I said R332 she didn't become an airhead overnight. That's on them

by Anonymousreply 333March 13, 2019 5:26 AM

Cheaper to encourage her to model (one gig year) or study photography (and post haunting black and white photos of the L.A. River on IG).

by Anonymousreply 334March 13, 2019 5:27 AM

Look at her parents. Lori is an actress, they are obsessed with their looks and superficial, the child is merely copying the mom.

by Anonymousreply 335March 13, 2019 5:34 AM

R324 Really? I thought I read today Mueller was funded until September?

by Anonymousreply 336March 13, 2019 5:36 AM

these are the schools involved... Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale.

I can't believe anyone needs help getting into U of San Diego! Also, I hope the reporters find out who paid 6 million. I want to sell this dumb fucker a lot of bridges.

by Anonymousreply 337March 13, 2019 5:37 AM

Universities have been doing this for decades. It is not a new thing and universities and their faculty have been reported for this. This was done by the FBI. You know who order this, probably Trump himself. He probably gave himself immunity and ratted the whole corrupt system out.

He probably saw some jack ass on CNN and knows that person was part of the same cheating scandal scheme that he was a part of. Then, he told the FBI to persecute this.

He is stressed out and turning against the rich. Petty Trump, is great. Corrupt on Corrupt, this is perfect. POPCORN TIME!

by Anonymousreply 338March 13, 2019 5:38 AM

Oh FFS R335 there are plenty of "regular" kids who are just as vapid and plenty of Hollywood kids who are functioning members of society.

by Anonymousreply 339March 13, 2019 5:39 AM

BILL MCGLASHAN is a director at CAA

McGlashan is accused of bribing test administrators to both let someone else correct his son's ACT test after he had finished it, and creating a fake athletic profile for him to secure his position at USC.

According to the indictment, his son spent a day taking the test but then returned to San Francisco with his father.

The next day, when he was back in northern California according to cell phone data, someone else was allegedly in his place filling out the rest of the exam and fixing it.

In July 2018, McGlashan discussed repeating the scheme for his two younger children.

by Anonymousreply 340March 13, 2019 5:41 AM

I can't believe we have had three threads and no one has pointed out the most important aspect of all this:

the FBI agent who announced the arrests was freakin hot. His bald head was perfectly symmetrical.

by Anonymousreply 341March 13, 2019 5:43 AM

Universities have easy tracks for the dump, rich kids. So once their parent bribe them in, they can be pampered and their stupid bubble maintained.

by Anonymousreply 342March 13, 2019 5:43 AM

I can't believe you read every comment R341 and missed the comments about the FBI agent that were posted in parts 1 and 2.

by Anonymousreply 343March 13, 2019 5:47 AM

R341 We need pics

by Anonymousreply 344March 13, 2019 5:48 AM

[quote]How is it "fraud", Don't call "bullshit" on a question you can't answer.

Um, I *did* answer it, R296, but I'll try dumbing it down for you. (I don't suppose you attended USC or another second-tier school thanks solely to the "benevolence" of "generous" parents? That would explain both your ignorance as well as your hostility...)

Both the con artists and parents were active participants in schemes to dupe institutions of higher learning, in fashions legally defined as fraudulent misrepresentation or just plain-old "fraud" (along with conspiracy to commit fraud). In the case of state-supported schools such as UCLA and UT, that alone is enough to support federal fraud charges: public universities receive both state and federal funds to augment their budgets, and the FBI and federal prosecutors have jurisdiction basically by default over any potential case involving inflows of tuition and whatnot via wire. (No, not *literal* wire transfers: it's a legal term of art relative to interstate transmission of funds.) Even in the case of private colleges & universities, however, it's still fraud: both sides actively, knowingly and willingly conned some of the country's best into accepting students who would've likely had zero chance of admission otherwise. Their actions hurt the schools specifically and higher education generally, along with the dozens (if not hundreds) of students denied admission so that the children of these scammers could be admitted under false pretenses.

And if you still don't want to believe me: do you seriously think *you're* somehow more knowledgeable about the definition of fraud than the FBI and various magistrate judges in a dozen different federal courts, all of whom signed off on the FBI's investigation into the case and subsequently signed arrest warrants charging parents, school officials and SAT/ACT scammers alike for FRAUD based on what they discovered?

I'm sorry you went to a shitty college -- as opposed to my top-25 schools for both undergrad and law school, including acceptance into three of the universities that were victimized by these con artists -- and also sorry you can't grasp the difference between "fraud" and "bribery" (including instances where both plainly apply), but ... ah fuck it, I'm not sorry! You're a fucking idiot to think you're somehow more knowledgeable about the legal definition of fraud than a small barrage of federal judges, most of whom went to Harvard or Yale Law. (Either that or you're Donald Trump. Or both, I suppose.)

Anyway, you're wrong. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 345March 13, 2019 5:52 AM

here's your "hot" FBI agent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346March 13, 2019 5:53 AM

R604 regarding cheating scandal. Harvard Westlake?

by Anonymousreply 347March 13, 2019 5:56 AM

Can some post the names of the people involved in the scheme? Where is the article on this? Why was just Felicity and Lori they only ones arrested?

by Anonymousreply 348March 13, 2019 5:56 AM

Man at center of the scam pleads guilty and faces a maximum of 65 years in prison

From CNN’s Mark Morales

William Rick Singer, the man who owned and operated Edge College and Career Network LLC (“The Key”) at the center of the collegiate scheme, has pleaded guilty to four charges:

Racketeering conspiracy

Money laundering

Tax conspiracy

Obstruction of Justice

Singer faces:

A maximum of 65 years in prison

Three years of supervised release

$1.25m dollar fine

$400 special assessment

He is appearing before Judge Rya Zobel in a Massachusetts federal court.

by Anonymousreply 349March 13, 2019 5:57 AM

R348

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350March 13, 2019 5:57 AM

r346 I'm REALLY loving the nugget on the right. Love his expression too. BDF...and those lips...

by Anonymousreply 351March 13, 2019 5:57 AM

R348 Are you just being an asshole, or are you serious? The most comprehensive coverage right now is on the DM. Names, photos, bios, charges. Knock yourself out literally and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 352March 13, 2019 5:59 AM

50 people were charged. those 2 were the famous ones. Most were CEOs and other high level executives. One even a fucking lawyer lol.

by Anonymousreply 353March 13, 2019 6:00 AM

R348, I'd normally berate you to learn that Google is your friend, but I'm in a good mood right now thanks to the indictments, so here's a list of all the parents named in the suit. And no, Felicity and Lori weren't the only ones arrested; they simply got all the media attention because no one else on the list is a public figure. Everyone else was indicted and served today as well (and if they couldn't be found by local authorities, they will be soon).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 13, 2019 6:01 AM

Will the lawyer be disbarred?

by Anonymousreply 355March 13, 2019 6:02 AM

No Rose, he will be behind bars. Go to bed r355

by Anonymousreply 356March 13, 2019 6:04 AM

I see the motivation from the CEO families, the Trump types who just need Junior to get a degree and a VP spot is waiting in the family business. Those types just want the paper and then assistants/associates will do all the work while everyone pretends Junior is qualified because of his degree.

I do not understand the motivation of the Lori Loughlin type. Her kid wants to look cute and take selfies all day. She has no real world drive. Cheating her into college isn’t going to propel some epiphany and mature her. They could have invested or used that $500,000 for Instagram ads/payoff someone to get her a “modeling campaign” and had a better return on investment. They’re complete morons to have done this.

by Anonymousreply 357March 13, 2019 6:04 AM

Here is an new article that lists same of the people who were scamming to get their beyond stupid kids into a university.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358March 13, 2019 6:08 AM

I just wanna know if any of the non-famous rich brats are as heinous as Loughlin's daughters.

And the older one just went private on Insta. Sweetie, you have 261k followers. Nothing there is private

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359March 13, 2019 6:13 AM

There's a beyond stupid kid who was trying to get into Pre med through their ass hole parents. This is the most dangerous one.

by Anonymousreply 360March 13, 2019 6:13 AM

Do you remember a name R360?

by Anonymousreply 361March 13, 2019 6:16 AM

IF this does not get you pissed off enough, this scheme system also allowed parents to get a tax write-off for their bribes as a Taxable Charitable Donation.

by Anonymousreply 362March 13, 2019 6:17 AM

Amy Colburn and Gregory Colburn

Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

The Colburns are a married couple from Palo Alto. Gregory Colburn is a radiation oncologist in San Jose who has been practicing medicine for more than 20 years. He received his medical degree from UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine.

by Anonymousreply 363March 13, 2019 6:19 AM

R217 what school. I also went to a prep school in the valley except I went there in the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 364March 13, 2019 6:21 AM

Also snagged is the personal tennis instructor of Michelle Obama and her daughter Malia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365March 13, 2019 6:24 AM

R365 the Obama's have nothing to do with it. Don't even try to infer it.

by Anonymousreply 366March 13, 2019 6:26 AM

USC School of Dentistry is involved in this scandal. I always thought USC dentists were stupid and now i know why. Read the posted article for more information. It will really piss you off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367March 13, 2019 6:26 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but during the press conference the FBI said this investigation arose from an unrelated, ongoing investigation. I wanted so bad for one of the reporters to ask "Is the other investigation being headed by one Robert Mueller?"

It's unlikely but I sure hope that's the case!

by Anonymousreply 368March 13, 2019 6:28 AM

I hope someone finds all these kids and their parents on social media or their work pages and then screenshots their pictures next to what they did. I want to see some of these idiots.

I doubt most of the kids were ignorant of what their parents were doing.

Have to admit- I liked the one conversation where the parent told the guy "hey, my younger daughter is smart, not like my older one, she's going to figure out something's up." Made me laugh. Older daughter must be super dumb.

by Anonymousreply 369March 13, 2019 6:30 AM

R368, I don't think it's Muller's. They said it was an undercover operation.

by Anonymousreply 370March 13, 2019 6:31 AM

It looks like it was the IRS. Also, it appears that the first reports are from School Faculty where the brats where going, rich prep schools.

Read this article. it makes more sense how they traced all the parents via the tax write off part of the scheme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371March 13, 2019 6:32 AM

You're a sensitive moron, R366.

I clearly posted who he was.

by Anonymousreply 372March 13, 2019 6:34 AM

The fucking hubris to bribe your entitled brat into a serious learning institution and then write it off on your taxes. You'd think they would say to themselves "you know, I'm screwing hard-working kids out of their chance to get out of poverty, but getting a tax break on top of that might be a bridge to far... even for me!" I hope every one of the "students" gets kicked out of their respective universities and the parents are all executed.

by Anonymousreply 373March 13, 2019 6:37 AM

R369 that was Macy. Older daughter is an arts HS in LA, younger one is at

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374March 13, 2019 6:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375March 13, 2019 6:37 AM

"The Obama's have nothing to do with it."

Oh, dear. I see someone had a low SAT score.

by Anonymousreply 376March 13, 2019 6:39 AM

At first I did not care. I thought it was rich parents trying to get there kids into a drama program, but it is really fucked up. Here is why:

-They wrote off bribes as tax write off to the IRS.

-They are going after merit scholarship money and other financial perks.

-They are doing it to get their kids into serious academic and scientific programs.

-USC School of Dentistry is involved in the Scam.

by Anonymousreply 377March 13, 2019 6:42 AM

many of these parents are on tape asking if the kids will find out about the scam (someone correcting their tests etc) and saying they don't want the kids to know...

by Anonymousreply 378March 13, 2019 6:43 AM

Who will be the first Full House cast member to come out in support of Lori? Candace, John, Olsen Twins?

by Anonymousreply 379March 13, 2019 6:45 AM

From the details released, it looks like Felicity Hoffman asked if this program was legal. The scammers lied. She decided not to participate in the program.

by Anonymousreply 380March 13, 2019 6:47 AM

R379 the Olsens dont give a fuck

by Anonymousreply 381March 13, 2019 6:47 AM

R365, really? The Daily Mail no less.

by Anonymousreply 382March 13, 2019 6:48 AM

[quote]-USC School of Dentistry is involved in the Scam.

Well, considering what a rip off dentistry is in itself, this is no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 383March 13, 2019 6:50 AM

Yeah, this is early, but it is nearly midnight on the West Coast and I'd figure I would have it at the ready for when Ms. Lori comes swanning in to the courthouse.

Last one to go to bed, please repost further downthread.

Goodnight all!

Part Four:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384March 13, 2019 6:52 AM

The National Collegiate Athletic Association is looking into what it called “troubling” allegations that several college coaches took bribes to give undeserving students sports recruiting slots as part of an explosive admissions scandal revealed Tuesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385March 13, 2019 6:52 AM

The link is yahoo, MARY.

Even if it was the Daily Mail, it doesn't change who the guy is.

by Anonymousreply 386March 13, 2019 6:53 AM

The Macy girls have lowkey, non-insufferable social media accounts and the younger one does indeed go to an academically-challenging school

Macys -1

Loughlins - 0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387March 13, 2019 6:59 AM

Are we talking about the tennis coach? His bail was 50k less than Felicity's for what sounds a lot worse.

Between 2012 and 2018, Ernst, 52, allegedly pocketed more that $2.7 million in bribes in exchange for putting at least 12 students on the Georgetown tennis teams, including some kids who did not play the sport competitively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388March 13, 2019 7:00 AM

r380 She did for her first daughter, but declined to do it a second time for her younger daughter was my understanding.

by Anonymousreply 389March 13, 2019 7:02 AM

NY Post...Christ.

Because they'd NEVER even mention Trump's fucking brother knew the guy at Wharton, but implicating the Obamas in this was a nice touch by those rats. What, they couldn't find that the guy may have once passed by Hillary in a restaurant while they're at it?

by Anonymousreply 390March 13, 2019 7:03 AM

R384, you're starting the next thread NOW, at 380-something, before YOU go to bed?! Well aren't YOU just fucking special! You're as bad as Loughlin's & Huffman's entitled crotch droppings.

by Anonymousreply 391March 13, 2019 7:03 AM

Yeah the younger daughter is the smart one apparently R389

by Anonymousreply 392March 13, 2019 7:04 AM

r391 You are so charming and so welcome!

by Anonymousreply 393March 13, 2019 7:07 AM

Which Macy daughter is likely more pissed? The one they committed a felony for or the one who "didn't need it"?

by Anonymousreply 394March 13, 2019 7:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395March 13, 2019 7:07 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396March 13, 2019 7:08 AM

r39 Will the NYT make you happy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397March 13, 2019 7:09 AM

Imagine if he had hair to cover that conehead. He'd be gorgeous. He has a nice face.

by Anonymousreply 398March 13, 2019 7:10 AM

You can't deny the daughters are gorgeous. They'll never need money. They'll marry rich.

by Anonymousreply 399March 13, 2019 7:11 AM

Sorry this is for r390 NYT, Happy now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400March 13, 2019 7:11 AM

Kisses, girlfriend/R393, I'm not the asshole who started a thread 200+ replies before it was called for.

by Anonymousreply 401March 13, 2019 7:12 AM

Yes, R400. Better.

Look, I don't mind them mentioning he worked with the Obamas, but to put it in the headline is soooo Daily Mail/NY Post, and you know exactly why they did do that.

by Anonymousreply 402March 13, 2019 7:13 AM

I get it r402. No worries, it's all a bit heated. That article mentions other coaches as well with a bit more depth

by Anonymousreply 403March 13, 2019 7:16 AM

We're good, R403.

by Anonymousreply 404March 13, 2019 7:19 AM

[quote]r5 Wasn’t Lynette often cradling a mug on “Desperate Housewives”?

Exhibit A, m'lords.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405March 13, 2019 7:23 AM

I think presidents of the USA can send their kids to any university, if the university is compliant with the secret service. The kids of presidents are different because of the security issues. The kids are not getting in to these universities because of their grades and test scores.

by Anonymousreply 406March 13, 2019 7:24 AM

Loughlin's older daughter is fug

by Anonymousreply 407March 13, 2019 7:29 AM

The older daughter has that alien chrissy teigen look.

by Anonymousreply 408March 13, 2019 7:31 AM

Happy 69th birthday, William H Macy!

by Anonymousreply 409March 13, 2019 7:34 AM

It's amazing -- this has really brought out many's simmering resent to a howl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410March 13, 2019 7:35 AM

Hahah, it is William H. Macy's birthday. I wonder if they'll celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 411March 13, 2019 7:37 AM

@CBSLATom

CBS2@11 “These parents are a catalogue of wealth and privilege...” prosecutors accuse celebrities and the wealthy of using bribes and other schemes to get their kids into elite schools... a surreal scene outside federal court @CBSLA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412March 13, 2019 7:39 AM

It looks like the whole athletic scholarship program is a SCAM, on all levels. Playing tennis has literally nothing to do with Higher Education anyways. SHUT THESE DOWN!

by Anonymousreply 413March 13, 2019 7:42 AM

That's one hell of an incoherent post, R410.

by Anonymousreply 414March 13, 2019 7:43 AM

They should've gotten advice from Stan Grossman. He knows all.

by Anonymousreply 415March 13, 2019 7:44 AM

Why couldn’t they teach their goddamn kids hard work and good study habits?

by Anonymousreply 416March 13, 2019 8:03 AM

[quote]The National Collegiate Athletic Association is looking into what it called “troubling” allegations that several college coaches took bribes to give undeserving students sports recruiting slots as part of an explosive admissions scandal revealed Tuesday.

*GASP* Is it also investigating whether the sky is blue?

by Anonymousreply 417March 13, 2019 8:21 AM

Andrew Lelling, the US attorney who announced the charges

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418March 13, 2019 8:23 AM

Why do you keep posting his ugly mug?

by Anonymousreply 419March 13, 2019 8:31 AM

His hate Lori’s daughter, Olivia.

by Anonymousreply 420March 13, 2019 8:37 AM

Say What? Some of you are flat out wasted.

by Anonymousreply 421March 13, 2019 8:40 AM

The weird thing is if Huffman's oldest daughter was interested in acting, there are a lot of schools that choose kids based on auditions. Even if she's as dumb as a box of rocks, the Macy-Huffman kid would have been picked in a flash.

USC has had good grad schools and film production for a long time, but it didn't have a great endowment. It started getting more dough and offering serious merit aid to up its prestige--the influx of academically motivated Asians in LA didn't hurt. So, yes, now it's harder to get into, though I'm sure there all sorts of back doors in for legacies and donors--athletic recruits being an obvious one.

California has two state university systems--the UCs and that the CSUs. The UCs are generally more prestigious than the CSUs, but there is some crossover--Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo is more prestigious than UC Merced. Basically, UC Berkeley and UCLA are at the top of the pack (and full of Asian-American kids pissed off that they didn't get into an Ivy) and are hard to get into--think 1500+ SATS and unweighted GPAs above 3.9s. These are followed by UC San Diego, then in some order or other--Irvine, Santa Barbara, Davis. Santa Cruz is followed by Riverside and Merced's down at the bottom.

USC is a private college, not a UC.

And, generally, it's easier to get into a UC from out-of-state than in, since the system LOVES out-of-state tuition.

I think besides being dumb a lot of these kids are lazy--the same amount of money could have been spent on tutors, test-prep services and, hell, coaching golf--there's a shortage of female golf players.

by Anonymousreply 422March 13, 2019 9:34 AM

You dumb bitch! Look what trouble you got momma into!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423March 13, 2019 9:51 AM

I can't believe how fast these threads have filled up. I can't keep up with reading them.

I don't understand how these parents think they are doing the kids any favours getting them to a college where clearly they either don't want to be, can't keep up with the academics or both.

Oliva Jade, vacuous as she is, should have been allowed to just pursue her youtube/influencer career. Personally I think stuff like that is bullshit but she seems to have a knack for it and is probably making bank from it.

In ten years time she will be married to some rich dude anyway so why spend all that dough and commit ridiculous criminal subterfuge to take a place away from someone who undoubtedly would have made better use of it?

I guess it's about appearances and not wanting to admit your kid is academically challenged. It's cruel in my opinion.

I don't live in the US but here in the UK we've had similar issues with kids being pushed down an exam driven academic pathway. It's a waste of time for all but about 20% of kids (maybe less) they just end up saddled with debt and useless dumbed down degrees. Gove really fucked over our education system by getting rid of vocational options for high schoolers and trying to turn all schools into Grammar lite versions ( for those outside the UK Grammar schools require an entrance exam and typically take the top 10%).

by Anonymousreply 424March 13, 2019 9:53 AM

[quote]I guess it's about appearances and not wanting to admit your kid is academically challenged. It's cruel in my opinion.

Completely agree. The large majority of celebrity children don't get spoken about unless they screw up royally. This is really about the parents.

by Anonymousreply 425March 13, 2019 9:58 AM

This is going on for decades that rich parents buy their sons and daughters a place at an university . I mean you didn’t know ?

by Anonymousreply 426March 13, 2019 9:59 AM

I don’t know anything about Aunt Becky, but Felicity Huffman is essentially Betsy DeVos in real life. She is an entitled heiress to a banking fortune. She doesn’t feel like rules other people have to follow apply to her. She sort of bragged on RuPaul’s podcast that her family underwrote her during all the years she was struggling to get an acting career, and she has always lived a life of privilege and luxury. She also bragged that Wm Macy was her acting teacher before he was her husband, and they fucked the day after she finished his class, while he was married. She didn’t sound guilty in the least.

If there’s ever a Betsy biopic and Huffman is out of jail, she should play her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427March 13, 2019 10:07 AM

I didn’t realize Felicity Huffman was a Republican

by Anonymousreply 428March 13, 2019 10:14 AM

[quote] People like Kushner get into high positions because of these advantages, you half-wit.

Not the half-wit you are referring to, but Kushner is a poor example.

It's unclear why his father paid for him to go to Harvard as he wound up in the family business anyway. Jared went to a fairly hard-core Orthodox Jewish school--it was a yeshiva, not a "Jewish Day School" (i.e., far more religious-oriented, students had limited interaction with the real world.) I imagine the transition for him was pretty rough.

The only possible advantage was meeting the children of other wealthy people who might invest in his real estate ventures but you don't need to go to Harvard for that.

One thing Kushner and even Bush for that matter prove is the old adage that the toughest part of most of these schools is getting in. Once you're there, they're not very tough--Kushner managed to graduate and did Bush and countless others. With C's, but they still graduated. It's hard to flunk out.

by Anonymousreply 429March 13, 2019 10:16 AM

“Felicity Huffman, actress

$10,719.17 in total federal contributions

$1,537.50 of which was to the Kamala Harris Senate campaign committee ”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430March 13, 2019 10:18 AM

As a Brown grad, I wanted to defend my school a little.

There was a period in the 80s and 90s when Brown thought that admitting the children of celebrities would be a good way to raise the school's profile among donors and potential applicants.

But that meant one or two kids of that ilk each year. Most of them blended with the other American kids,, some of them hung out with the Eurotrash. Some were kind of dumb, some were about as smart as everyone else.

It's rare that a legacy or child-of-a-famous-person applies to a school that is clearly out of their league. So most of those kids were within range of admission. Think about it: if you're a dumb party girl, the last place you want to be is at an Ivy League school surrounded by kids who study all the time, got really high SAT scores and really only want to talk about their classes and professors.

That's what NYU is for: if you're dumb and rich, you can go to college, but live in NYC, go clubbing all the time, and not have to deal with your fellow students.

by Anonymousreply 431March 13, 2019 10:23 AM

[quote] “Felicity Huffman, actress $10,719.17 in total federal contributions $1,537.50 of which was to the Kamala Harris Senate campaign committee ”

Macy and Felicity each probably did Kamala at Willie Brown's orgies. They seem like the type.

by Anonymousreply 432March 13, 2019 10:27 AM

It’s totally unfair that these two actresses had become the faces of this. The only thing they are guilty of is caring for their spawns too much. And I’m saying that even as Felicity is my least favorite Desperate Housewife.

by Anonymousreply 433March 13, 2019 10:30 AM

All ivy universities have easy tracks for the dumb, rich kids. Now, we find out there was a scam to pay for high grades throughout their kids life, even at universities. On top of this, they wanted a tax write off for this.

It is pretty fucked up and serious.

by Anonymousreply 434March 13, 2019 10:35 AM

R431 The median family income of all people in the United States: $59,039.

Of Brown University students, the highest income level of all universities, it’s 204,200.

Of Harvard students: $168,800.

15.1 percent of Harvard's undergraduates come from households making over $630,000 per year.

You can defend your school and other Ivies—obviously all of them have stellar academics—but you can’t *really* capably deny that they make major exceptions for the wealthiest, the most famous and legacy students who would never, ever, ever gain admittance in a blind academic review against average-income students. It is not a coincidence that the Brown University student comes from a family with an income FOUR TIMES that of the average American family, and that the university does not issue merit-based grades. That’s not to say I think their pass/fail system is necessarily bad, but it certainly is a way to give guaranteed easy passes to spoiled brats who are there to buy degrees.

One of my former professors used to brag that her son was almost kicked out of his prep school (St. Albans in D.C.) until her rich publisher husband made a huge donation. She read us the letters from the school threatening to expel him for bad behavior, followed by one thanking the family for their generous donation and being pleased to let them know their son received a full academic scholarship for the next year. After high school, he went to Brown, her alma mater. He is now a professor.

by Anonymousreply 435March 13, 2019 10:40 AM

Very few Harvard staff went to Harvard themselves. Most went to places like Ohio State.

by Anonymousreply 436March 13, 2019 10:50 AM

Don’t forget ME, Harvard’s condescending, racist Humanitarian Initiative directress!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437March 13, 2019 10:55 AM

I gotta say, 2019 is turning out to be a banner year for scandal and gossip, and it's only March! First news anchor Chris Burrous dying while he was getting fisted by another man, then the whole Jussie thing, and now this whole scandal.

May it continue this way for the rest of the year!

by Anonymousreply 438March 13, 2019 10:57 AM

So, lots of fraudulent “charitable” contributions trigger IRS interest, among other things.

Do we think this is laying the groundwork for shenanigans in you know who’s yet to be released tax returns?

by Anonymousreply 439March 13, 2019 10:59 AM

Many universities have free or lower cost tuition programs for their faculty and senior staff. This is a common employment benefit in the University system. These kids are also beyond stupid, and they can be really assholes to the other students, depending on who their parents are in the university peaking order.

by Anonymousreply 440March 13, 2019 11:00 AM

[quote] but you can’t *really* capably deny that they make major exceptions for the wealthiest, the most famous and legacy students who would never, ever, ever gain admittance in a blind academic review against average-income students.

But that's a small percentage of the class R435. Maybe a half dozen kids max. The other kids who fit that description were on the bubble, if you will. The problem most of these schools face is that they have far more qualified applicants than places available and they can pick and choose at will.

But to your point, there were just as many dumb football players from inner city schools on free rides as there were children of the rich and famous. But jocks/legacies/rich kids altogether only made up a small percent of the class and, as I'd mentioned, most of the legacies and the jocks were actually smart enough to be there.

As to why the student bodies are primarily wealthy is more complex, but basically involves that fact that if you are at a Scarsdale High School or Horace Mann, all your classmates are on the same track, everyone knows which extracurriculars admissions officers like, everyone has an SAT tutor, everyone knows from elementary school onwards how to put their "college resume" together, the admissions office knows they won't need to give your family financial aid, there's a good chance your parents will become donors once you're admitted, your guidance counselor knows the admissions officers personally because Yale takes 10 kids from Horace Mann every year, etc.

So it's more like entrenched privilege and that extends out past college, to the fact that your high school classmates parents can get you internships and your parents can bankroll you for a year because you're not getting paid, etc.

That's the bigger picture.

by Anonymousreply 441March 13, 2019 11:00 AM

R441 How do you explain that the average family income of Brown students is nearly four times that of the average American family, consistently significantly higher than even Harvard students’ families? To be that high, it has to be representative of more than half a dozen students per year. It’s a rich-people’s-kids magnet. The numbers of super-wealthy people have to be disproportionately high to create such a high average income. The numbers speak for themselves. Brown and all the Ivies court and welcome elite people, and please don’t try to convince me that these elite people’s children happen to be the cream of the intellectual crop. Can we be honest?

by Anonymousreply 442March 13, 2019 11:05 AM

I think I explained that fairly well R442

Harvard has more money and can take in more scholarship students, but they are still mostly taking in the wealthiest kids.

All the top universities look like that because that's who can afford it.

When college is $70K/year, it's not too hard to figure out who is going to be able to pay and who isn't.

The solution is one which many Americans won't like: make college free but vastly reduce the number of college students.

by Anonymousreply 443March 13, 2019 11:10 AM

Anyone running for President in 2020 should run against the major universities. Withdraw tax subsidies. Tax their endowments. Refuse to appoint their graduates as judges, cabinet secretaries or any other executive-appointment level positions (or, stated differently, positively look for people who went to regular schools for those positions first).

The elite university racket in this country is the single most destructive force to income equality and opportunity. And I'd vote for anyone - Democrat or Republican - who broke it up.

by Anonymousreply 444March 13, 2019 11:12 AM

“When college is $70K/year, it's not too hard to figure out who is going to be able to pay and who isn't.”

Right...so then why deny that the university is tailored to wealthier students?

And why IS Harvard $68,000 per year? Its endowment is $39.2 billion dollars. BILLION. Supposedly, that is bigger than the economies of half the countries in the world, including some that offer free higher education to their citizens. And the best Harvard can do is waive tuition for students with incomes under $60,000, which in some places is sub-middle class?

Yale’s endowment is $27 billion.

And still, I get promoted tweets all the time from scammy programs offered by both that are $50k - $100k for unaccredited bullshit certificates. It’s really perverse how they trade on academic excellence but really are just raking in cash in exchange for a brand name for affluent people to throw around when self-promoting.

by Anonymousreply 445March 13, 2019 11:18 AM

We just wanted to take this opportunity to let our alumni know we were not involved in any way in this scandal.

by Anonymousreply 446March 13, 2019 11:19 AM

R446 You’re joking, but the honest truth that will offend anyone who goes to an elite university is that people who go to public state universities have no choice but to work hard and demonstrate academic if they want to succeed academically. Students at elite universities famously are assumed to be excellent by virtue of their admission, and if they choose to do so, can lazily cruise through college with little to no effort secure in the knowledge that they will not be failed for any reason as long as daddy stays out of prison and his checks clear.

by Anonymousreply 447March 13, 2019 11:26 AM

You're right, R447. Elite university admission is basically a golden ticket to the chocolate factory. For life. That works great in fiction. But it's an awful way for a country's education system to operate.

by Anonymousreply 448March 13, 2019 11:29 AM

“The elite university racket in this country is the single most destructive force to income equality and opportunity. And I'd vote for anyone - Democrat or Republican - who broke it up.“

I’ve said that for so long but everyone Repubican and Democrat defends it. I’ve had people who barely scrape 30,000 in take home pay defend it. It’s insane but so many Americans cling to the belief they are going to “make it”. They will start a business, win the lotto, become famous etc... and when they do they want these privileges too. So rather than be furious at the top 5%, they envy them, want to be them and instead direct their anger at immigrants, blacks, welfare recipients and the like.

It’s a shame the 2 actresses are getting all the press. All of these ‘private equity manager’ assholes should be shamed as much. THAT is the problem, not some little social media whore going to USC. The system is rigged for the children of fund managers, CEOs and lawyers who will be the next fund managers, CEOs and lawyers. Middle class kids don’t stand a chance. Poor kids can forget it.

by Anonymousreply 449March 13, 2019 11:33 AM

[quote]the hardest problem with these exams are that you don't have enough time, if we all had 2 days we all would have aced them.

She still only scored about 1000 after having two days to take the test.

400 additional points were added to her score after the proctor corrected all her wrong answers.

by Anonymousreply 450March 13, 2019 11:35 AM

I don’t know this woman, Tiffany Trump, but she is bad PR for Georgetown Law no matter how much ill-gotten organized crime money her father gives them. Is she an idiot? Who could say? No one knows anything about her except that she posts pre-pubescent-level photos of herself in tight designer clothes popping pink bubbles, posing in bathing suits by the Potomac waterfront, eating cotton candy, and promoting herself as a Georgetown Law candidate.

Her Instagram bio rattles off her purchased credentials: UPenn BA in sociology—law and society; Georgetown Law JD candidate—RA for Shon Hopwood, Criminal Justice Reform (oh, yes, a Trump).

All of her photos say “I’m a psychologically underdeveloped whore.”

Btw, Wikipedia’s page for Shon Hopwopd begins with this: “Shon Robert Hopwood (born June 11, 1975) is an American convicted felon, appellate lawyer, and professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center.“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451March 13, 2019 11:36 AM

R424, good post. The UK has become much more corporate in its approach to higher education at a time when huge numbers of young people are being encouraged to go to university, when in the past they wouldn’t have needed or been expected to. There are some interesting stats on the cultural differences between the UK and US where essentially for years the US had a way higher proportion of people studying for degrees but the gap is narrowing on the British side. Commitment to learning or because universities are basically another type of money-making business with potential for making serious profit for the people behind them?

I guess what’s also striking is under the UK system is that we don’t require “pre-med”, or a first degree to study Law, and that tuition fees are largely the same wherever and whatever you study, so you can pay the same for an Oxford Jurisprudence degree as [insert joke course of your choice here].

What this kind of scam does is even if to a limited extent, is impede smart but not well-off or well-connected kids from getting a little higher up the ladder, and that’s bad enough, but it also perpetuates mediocrity and perhaps worse. Most of these spoilt, pampered, never-had-to-confront-how-stupid-they-are kids who have been shielded from fucking up end up in family businesses or in industries where being as dumb as a bag of rocks won’t hold them back (public relations for example), but the suggestion one of the kids here was interested in medicine is fairly terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 452March 13, 2019 11:39 AM

R449, middle/working class resentment in 2016 definitely seemed apparent. I think it's there for the taking in 2020 with respect to the elite universities. Someone making $30,000 might not care so much about getting into one of those universities. But they might care that they have to provide tax subsidies to those universities that have multi-billion dollar endowments.

by Anonymousreply 453March 13, 2019 11:39 AM

[quote]It’s a shame the 2 actresses are getting all the press. All of these ‘private equity manager’ assholes should be shamed as much. THAT is the problem, not some little social media whore going to USC.

True, but clickbait media took the first names on the indictment that were recognizable and ran with it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the police released the most noteworthy names in the first indictment on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 454March 13, 2019 11:41 AM

[quote]The elite university racket in this country is the single most destructive force to income equality and opportunity. And I'd vote for anyone - Democrat or Republican - who broke it up.

It is *a* destructive force, not in any way, shape or form *the* most destructive force, and you'd be a gullible fool to vote for a Republican who went after elite universities, because every other policy they support would wipe out any good that this one act would do.

I get that you were trying to make a point but this didn't come across as hyperbole for the sake of effect.

by Anonymousreply 455March 13, 2019 11:44 AM

Dad only had to pay $5,000 to get me into Hudson University......winning! MAGA!

by Anonymousreply 456March 13, 2019 11:49 AM

[quote]Prosecutors said in court on Tuesday that some students also lied about their ethnicity on applications to take advantage of affirmative action. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

That’s an honest mistake.

by Anonymousreply 457March 13, 2019 11:49 AM

Had the media not focused on the two actresses (both of whom ironically have primarily played benign and loving mothers), then the story would have been overlooked in favor of Trumpy or other salacious scandals. We would not be discussing it.

by Anonymousreply 458March 13, 2019 11:50 AM

R455, it's not hyperbole.

And if Democrats are too afraid to take it on, but a Republican is - I'll vote for that Republican.

by Anonymousreply 459March 13, 2019 11:53 AM

You'll vote for a Republican who will only go after liberal universities and take away your human rights while destroying the economy and passing laws to victimize a whole host of minority groups. Sure, you seem both smart and very concerned about inequality.

by Anonymousreply 460March 13, 2019 11:58 AM

The media could have mentioned Macy or Mossimo. But Macy isn't listed in the indictment, is he? That was weird, since they appear to have evidence against him.

by Anonymousreply 461March 13, 2019 11:59 AM

[quote]Is he the only one of the Kardashian kids to go college?

Kourtney is also a graduate of University of Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 462March 13, 2019 12:00 PM

I would not vote for the Republican because their other policies screw over the working and middle classes and benefit the wealthy and corporations so on balance I would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

While a lot of the Republican base is blue collar whites those who control the Republican Party and the biggest donors are wealthy, well educated, business owners. I don’t think they would have the balls to attack the system and all the privileges it provides throughout life considering they benefit from it themselves. They would only go after “liberal colleges” receiving government funding or the like because they want the white collar workforce to remain white, connected and moneyed.

by Anonymousreply 463March 13, 2019 12:02 PM

Trump has literally sold our education system to the DeVos family, the highest bidder, who have a vested financial interest in making public schools worse to drive families to seek out private charter schools. The Trump-era ED dept has taken four notable actions:

—Promote for-profit charter schools that have poor outcomes

—Promote for-profit private online universities that have poor outcomes

—Revoke LGBT protections in schools

—Cast doubt on people who claim to be victims of sexual assaults on campuses, with deference given to accused rapists

That is Republican, capitalist educational oversight. Good luck with it.

by Anonymousreply 464March 13, 2019 12:04 PM

YOu have to watch this FBI press conference

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465March 13, 2019 12:04 PM

R460, I didn't say anything about "going after liberal universities". Ted Cruz went to Princeton and Harvard, right?

And the economy is rigged against the middle and working class. So that's fucked anyway by the very people that these institutions produce.

And I care more about neutralizing the self-perpetuating, loathsome effects of these schools as a policy over all other policies.

But fine, if you want more Ted Cruz, keep voting the way you vote.

by Anonymousreply 466March 13, 2019 12:05 PM

Are the kids getting expelled/having their degrees revoked?

Haven't read all 1700 posts, so sorry if already reported, but the stand-in test taker that Huffman and Macy hired scored a 1420, reported as being 400 points higher than what their kid got. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 467March 13, 2019 12:06 PM

All the more reason to scrap the SAT and look at students’ academic records instead. Any half-intelligent kid with money for specialized tutoring to game the College Board scoring system can score well on a standardized test.

by Anonymousreply 468March 13, 2019 12:10 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469March 13, 2019 12:13 PM

There are so many middle class university graduates who worked their asses off and are saddled with student loan debt. The system is ridged against us from the start. I want Bernie Sanders for President.

I want my student loan money return to be in full. How fucking dare you UNIVERSITIES!

by Anonymousreply 470March 13, 2019 12:14 PM

USC University for Spoiled Children

(Or Soiled Children, take your choice)

by Anonymousreply 471March 13, 2019 12:20 PM

And on top of that, R470, people who teach at universities are mostly totally fucked over, too. The days of esteemed tenured professors are gone; now, it’s mostly adjunct part-time instructors who oftentimes get no benefits such as healthcare or retirement, and who were steered into academe, pursuing Ph.D.s to teach without understanding how shitty the job market is.

by Anonymousreply 472March 13, 2019 12:23 PM

These threads are like catnip for the fraus. Judgey, scoldy feeding frenzies hahahaha! They’re probably the same people who are posting on huffman’s daughter’s social media that she deserves the electric chair.

These are the same women who broke for Donnie the Grabber in 2016, by the way ....

by Anonymousreply 473March 13, 2019 12:29 PM

Exactly Ted Cruz, Trump, Bush etc are Ivy League elite school graduates. They will never go after those schools. To appease their base of frustrated blue collar and middle class whites they will scapegoat “liberal school”. Ideally schools in California and liberal arts schools. Their base couldn’t name 5 Ivy League schools, to many of them all universities are elite and full of Commies. Put out a Fox News story with the buzzwords California, liberal arts, government money, leftist faculty and the base will eat that shit up. You could show them Trump’s donation to Penn Club and tell them it was a restaurant on 54th and 5th. These are people who think a New York trust fund billionaire with business interests is going to bring back manufacturing jobs to Kentucky. A few think the serial cheating, porn star fucking, tax evading slime ball was sent by Jesus. Do you think they know the difference between USC, UC, Harvard and NYU.

by Anonymousreply 474March 13, 2019 12:30 PM

I agree with the poster who said these women would get more sympathy if they were caught smuggling drugs to Weinstein. This issue is a huge slap in the face to middle class fraus who are paying out the wazoo, remortgaging homes, co-signing loans, working second jobs to send their kids to school. This hits a nerve with everyone left and right.

by Anonymousreply 475March 13, 2019 12:34 PM

Those charged by complaint were named as follows: Gregory Abbott, Marcia Abbott, Gamal Abedelaziz, Diane Blake, Todd Blake, Jane Buckingham, Gordon Caplan, Michael Center, I-Hsin “Joey” Chen, Amy Colburn, Gregory Colburn, Robert Flaxman, Mossimo Giannulli, Elizabeth Henriquez, Manuel Henriquez, Douglas Hodge, Felicity Huffman, Agustin Hunees, Bruce Isackson, Davina Isackson, Michelle Janavs, Elisabeth Kimmel, Marjorie Klapper, Lori Loughlin, Toby McFarlane, William McGlashan, Marci Palatella, Peter Jan Sartorio, Stephen Semprevivo, Devin Sloane, John Wilson, Homayoun Zadeh, Robert Zangrillo.

Details and dollar amounts at link from some of the non-celeb defendants.

Too much to post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476March 13, 2019 12:44 PM

disgusting

by Anonymousreply 477March 13, 2019 12:46 PM

Now that Felicity and her husband Complicity have this dirty Shameless mess attached to their brands, how long will they have to wait before they can walk the red carpet again with noses held high and this stink cloud/scandal no longer warping their image? When Lori Loughlin dies, will she now be only eligible for acceptance into one of those lower clouds in Heaven? Will their disgraced daughters ever be invited to a kegger again? Or will they be invited to every kegger everywhere now?

by Anonymousreply 478March 13, 2019 12:47 PM

This scandal is only going to help the Bernie Sanders Campaign. Bernie has been saying the system is rigged against you. He wants lower to free higher education tuition costs. These fucking rich cunts are bribing universities and getting a tax write off for it. Fuck universities and all the ways they let these rich criminals game the system.

by Anonymousreply 479March 13, 2019 12:50 PM

A friend of mine posted “We’d all do this for our kids if we could under a pic of the McLaughlin girls”. I’m shocked but not really at the values of so many people. No, I wouldn’t. I would encourage my child to go into a field he/she is passionate about and capable of. I would much rather they go to beauty school and use my money to start their own business than send them to a school they are not smart enough to attend and watch them struggle, drop out or cheat their way through.

I’m usually a cynical bastard but I really want to believe most parents wouldn’t photoshop their kids head on a rower and pay 500,000 for the scam. I want to believe most lawyers and doctors (who could easily afford 15,000) are not paying someone to correct their kids SATs.

by Anonymousreply 480March 13, 2019 12:53 PM

Will this hurt Kamala Harris? She was CA Attorney General and didn’t know all this corruption was taking place?

by Anonymousreply 481March 13, 2019 12:54 PM

[quote]Will their disgraced daughters ever be invited to a kegger again? Or will they be invited to every kegger everywhere now?

The slow daughter will be invited to every kegger now.

by Anonymousreply 482March 13, 2019 12:57 PM

r481 Using your logic, why didn't Chump know something about this? /

by Anonymousreply 483March 13, 2019 12:58 PM

Between this and affirmative action, academicaly talented, middle and working class Whites and Asians have ZERO chance.

by Anonymousreply 484March 13, 2019 1:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485March 13, 2019 1:03 PM

I saw someone posted that finally, the Liberal elite is getting what they deserve...lol....Most of the busted people are contributors to the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 486March 13, 2019 1:12 PM

Yikes, R485! That’s the kind of story where this scandal really disgusts and hits home with me—much more so than with the two actresses...

by Anonymousreply 487March 13, 2019 1:13 PM

R449, good post; I really enjoyed reading it.

by Anonymousreply 488March 13, 2019 1:13 PM

It was an university prep course (company offered) that was offered to families at private charter schools only, but it really was a criminal enterprise. It was all about fraud. You could pay to falsify what you kids did at the private school and pick a SAT/ACT test score to get them into university. This means the charter schools are not better than public schools. The parents are committing fraud. Those charter schools have to know because they are grade inflating and lying about the extracurricular activities and charity that the kids are doing.

This means private charter schools are bogus and the tests are just fraudulent. How can anyone trust the grades, activities and test score that are coming from these charter schools?

by Anonymousreply 489March 13, 2019 1:14 PM

This sounds like the kind of i cheating that goes on to get students into colleges in South Korea. But now the madness is in the U.S. The coaches and SAT administrators who toke money to cheat need to be fired/charged/serve prison time pronto. The students who got in with false information should be immediately expelled from the colleges.

This is very similar to some sport betting scheme that pays off players, referees etc. to rig games. Professional sports are dependent on the integrity of the people running the sport. Ditto for education.

by Anonymousreply 490March 13, 2019 1:24 PM

Figures Felicity Huffman would be tied to Kamala Harris. Kamala better be prepared this time if she's asked about it, unlike her stammering Jussie response.

by Anonymousreply 491March 13, 2019 1:27 PM

I'm interested in the tax evasion scams.

Aren't many of these bribes channelled through an incestuous circle of fake charities before the cash is distributed down the food chain to the coaches, proctors,hired test takers, imposters of all stripes and admissions officers?

Since the bribes are made to registered charities then those " donations " can be used as tax write offs.

More to come on this angle as the IRS starts sniffing around.

by Anonymousreply 492March 13, 2019 1:28 PM

The FBI agent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493March 13, 2019 1:32 PM

[quote]Most of the busted people are contributors to the Republican party.

Really? When I was looking up some of the people indicted, the only Republican I found was Loughlin and that was an assumption because she's a fundie. There was one lady who faved politicians from both parties on her FB, but several who were following only Dems, and a bunch who I couldn't determine at all.

The allegedly fake foundation/charity used seems to lean liberal per its about page.

by Anonymousreply 494March 13, 2019 1:35 PM

R492 I’ve lost track of the threads now but someone posted some good dirt about one of the mom's charities. Set up to feed hungry kids, she’s donated small amounts to a food bank but every year donated tens of thousands from the charity to her son’s private prep school. The charity had profits of almost 250,000 and assets of 1.8 million which earned almost 100k in interest every year which was barely taxed because of the charity status. The IRS need to be on her immediately.

by Anonymousreply 495March 13, 2019 1:38 PM

This is not about left and right. The perps are a mix. The point is we are all being shafted by the top 5%. It doesn’t matter how they vote or what they say, when it’s comes down to it they are going to get theirs and fuck the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 496March 13, 2019 1:40 PM

The solution to all this is a tough sell.

Make college free.

But to do that you'd need to vastly reduce the number of colleges and college students. Limit college to top students and get rid of all the pre-professional programs (Communications) and focus on classic liberal arts and STEM.

Create real internship/apprenticeship programs for many types of jobs and shore up high schools so that kids actually do come out prepared to enter the workforce.

by Anonymousreply 497March 13, 2019 1:43 PM

The faking minority status thing is common enough in that colleges don't ask for proof.

And what makes someone "Latinx" or "Hispanic"

Is an Argentinian of Irish descent considered "Latino"

What about someone with one white Cuban grandparent? Or one black grandparent?

Go down that road and you wind up in Nazi racial purity laws territory.

by Anonymousreply 498March 13, 2019 1:47 PM

The entire system has been set up so that corporations and their officers (who are often also members of university boards) require college degrees for jobs like basic data entry and typist. They created a world where they get tens of thousands of dollars from you for a degree that's basically High School Part II, or else you don't get a job. They also created a market for paying your way into college, which in a lot of cases is perfectly legal.

It's been this way for fucking decades, so the people who yesterday and today suddenly care because a couple of actresses got busted for doing what people in their tax bracket have been doing since the 1960s is ridiculous. Why didn't you care last week? Because Felicity Huffman didn't get busted for it, that's why. And in a couple months you'll have forgotten all about this and moved on to other issues you can feel morally superior about.

You want equality amongst classes yet you want the FBI to come in and arrest someone at gunpoint for cheating on an SAT.

The government needs to be concerned about tax evasion and similar crimes, and the state should be concerned about state university employees taking bribes, but "this guy who cheated on his SAT should get federal prison time" is ridiculous and fascist.

Some of you need to calm the hell down.

by Anonymousreply 499March 13, 2019 1:51 PM

I still don't care about school, do u?

by Anonymousreply 500March 13, 2019 1:52 PM

Our local news has been airing 'person in the street' interviews about this and people are NOT happy. I did not hear 1 person supporting or making excuses for this.

People, of course, are comparing this to the ultra rich making donations to get their kids admitted, and getting their names on buildings (ie, Kushner, Trump, etc) but because this actually involves cheating on the SATs or admissions, it's actually being seen as worse.

Their careers are toast.

by Anonymousreply 501March 13, 2019 1:55 PM

Mizz Twat @ R500 - you have detention.

by Anonymousreply 502March 13, 2019 1:57 PM

In European countries where college is free for undergraduate students they have far too many students and the value of a BA/BS has lowered just as much as in the US and you need a Bachelors to work at the desk of a Hilton. In the U.K. and Ireland, they’ve devalued it even more by sending any unemployed person with a pulse back to school (and paid them a higher benefit for going) during the last recession. I have no idea how to afford this system in addition to free healthcare. I assume they save by not having huge military spending like we have.

by Anonymousreply 503March 13, 2019 1:57 PM

What time does Lori's plane touch down?

by Anonymousreply 504March 13, 2019 2:01 PM

I think higher education in the US is overpriced but I'm not sure how free tuition is the panacea here? The people involved are all wealthy, to varying degrees. The issue here isn't the cost but the prestige. They all wanted their kids to get into schools they were unqualified to attend. They didn't care, they just wanted the school name.

by Anonymousreply 505March 13, 2019 2:02 PM

UK and Ireland doesn't have free healthcare. They paid into the system over the years via taxes. not free. There is a huge backlog of patients waiting for services. One of my friend's father had to wait 10 months just to see a consultant for hip replacement.

by Anonymousreply 506March 13, 2019 2:03 PM

I think the solution, if there is one, is for everyone to recognize that a college degree ain't what it used to be. For the rich brats in question, it's not really about their "education" or their "future" as much as they want the prestige of a cool college to party in and name-drop.

by Anonymousreply 507March 13, 2019 2:04 PM

I meant r506 that it’s free to those under the income threshold who have a medical card, it’s free to kids and the elderly. It’s free if you’re uninsured and get cancer, you’re treated and never see a bill. Likewise, kids whose parents are unemployed go to college for free and get grants for living expenses on top of that. To Americans that is indeed “free”. We pay taxes and don’t get a fraction of that in return.

by Anonymousreply 508March 13, 2019 2:07 PM

Does USC have “busy” men’s rooms?

by Anonymousreply 509March 13, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote]USC University for Spoiled Children (Or Soiled Children, take your choice)

NO....it's the University OF Spoiled Children....or University of Second Choice.

You obviously didn't go to the University of Caucasians Lost among Asians.

by Anonymousreply 510March 13, 2019 2:08 PM

The FBI agent is sexy. I'd suck his dick from the back!

by Anonymousreply 511March 13, 2019 2:09 PM

This scandal means the private charter school are BOGUS. the high college attendance rates, high grades and extra curricular activities, and high test scores are BOGUS built on fraud.

Public Schools are better. These people are undermining the integrity of the public schools, not supporting them, and less money is going to public schools because they are getting tax write off for these bribes and gaming the system.

by Anonymousreply 512March 13, 2019 2:11 PM

I'm familiar with University of Caucasians Lost among Asians, but I think U C Lots of Asians is a better fit.

by Anonymousreply 513March 13, 2019 2:13 PM

USC has been one of the great success stories of the past decade or so--it's gone from being the University of Spoiled Children to a a prestigious school that USNWR has on par with UCLA.

What many elders on here may not realize is that because of the intense level of competition, a whole new tier of top colleges has taken hold, so schools like Duke, Georgetown, Wash U, Vanderbilt, Michigan, UVa, Berkeley, UCLA and USC etc are almost as tough to get into as the Ivies+Stanford/MIT and firms like McKinsey now recruit there where they might not have in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 514March 13, 2019 2:17 PM

[quote] I'd suck his dick from the back!

You are oddly specific in your perversion.

by Anonymousreply 515March 13, 2019 2:19 PM

Yashar Ali:

The number of prominent entertainment industry people who told me yesterday they weren't surprised Felicity was indicted was astounding. All of them were shocked that Lori was indicted, however.

by Anonymousreply 516March 13, 2019 2:19 PM

Even in the 90s, I knew of one set of parents who was sending their daughter to college to meet a husband. WTF That's the way it is with a lot of rich people...and even some poor people. If their daughter is very pretty, they don't put so much an emphasis on education. Instead, they focus on the girl's looks with the expectation that she'll marry a rich man. Her time at college can help her build a social network of rich folks and potential mates. And there will be more heirs and other rich folk at the prestigious schools.

Just like the Brett Kavanaughs of the world. College is a way of connecting with powerful people, and you agree to hire and promote each over more qualified people. Just because you went to school together...and got drunk together. To those folks, that's way more than the education in literature, history, math logic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 517March 13, 2019 2:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518March 13, 2019 2:22 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519March 13, 2019 2:23 PM

Someone should tweet to Rob Lowe: "Even though you got into college on your own merit, you're still a statutory rapist."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520March 13, 2019 2:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521March 13, 2019 2:26 PM

Lori's kid is probably not as stupid as she acts on social media. She probably plays up to the stereotypes that she believes will make her more marketable. But she's probably not USC material, either. Some parents always want to be seen having the best car and smartphone and living in the best house, and they want their kids to also be perfect with the degrees from the best schools. It makes good content for interviews.

She's majoring Communications. That type of woman almost always majors in PR. Her parents' connections will get her a job easily. In some schools "communications" is the formal name for drama. Maybe she's going into acting. She can only get by on her looks for so long. Lori was lucky; I bet no one's ever wanted to hire her to do Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 522March 13, 2019 2:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523March 13, 2019 2:29 PM

Does Lori have one of those decals on her car window, "My kid goes to USC"?

by Anonymousreply 524March 13, 2019 2:32 PM

In my college days, USC was shit, nothing special and now all these parents dying to get their kids in there...what a joke.

by Anonymousreply 525March 13, 2019 2:35 PM

Lori is a homophobic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 526March 13, 2019 2:37 PM

R523, exactly, for 6.5M, a school would let in your entire brood. Maybe the apples do not fall far from the tree when it comes to intelligence and commonsense in that family.

by Anonymousreply 527March 13, 2019 2:39 PM

Here's Felicity Huffman pictured hanging out with another of the accused, Jane Buckingham. Screw these entitled cunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528March 13, 2019 2:44 PM

yes, I was wondering how these people know to contact the scammer...are Lori and Felicity friends? surely there are more parents involved?

by Anonymousreply 529March 13, 2019 2:47 PM

No Lori sightings yet?

Vancouver isn't that far away from LA -- is the bitch swimming back?

by Anonymousreply 530March 13, 2019 2:49 PM

[quote]I hope someone finds all these kids and their parents on social media or their work pages and then screenshots their pictures next to what they did. I want to see some of these idiots.

The Bay Area doctor Gregory Colburn who was busted in the scam already has a few bash comments on his google review page. I bet more people will start leaving comments on google or any of those doctor review sites.

by Anonymousreply 531March 13, 2019 2:49 PM

I wonder if Lori is having trouble booking a flight from Vancouver to LA on such short notice. Where there be any seats left in Business class, or will she have to fly in coach? The horror!

by Anonymousreply 532March 13, 2019 2:51 PM

R532 I think it was mentioned in this thread or the previous one that Lori flew in private to Santa Monica.

by Anonymousreply 533March 13, 2019 2:53 PM

r529, the Mommy Mafia is active in every school and every community. Information gets shared. It may be the best private tutors or the best aesthetician or teen gyno--or in this case the best way to get your not-quite-bright kid into a name-brand college.

by Anonymousreply 534March 13, 2019 2:53 PM

Can the College Board sue people who cheated on the SAT exam? At the very least, it has the right to cancel the scores of any exam delivered under that cheating proctor (CW-2).

by Anonymousreply 535March 13, 2019 2:53 PM

This thread is losing gas. We need to see pictures of Lori being escorted by the feds.

by Anonymousreply 536March 13, 2019 2:55 PM

It pisses me off that they are using accommodations for disabled kids as a loophole. It will end up blowing back and affecting the chances of genuine kids with learning disabilities.

My son has moderate LD and accommodations give him a chance of achieving a small amount of qualifications (he shouldn't really be stuck in mainstream but that's another conversation). People already view extra time and readers with suspicion. The truth is though he's never going to get near a higher education institute nor would I dream of trying to make that happen because it would be incredibly harmful to him. He will end up doing something vocational with support at a technical college (US equivalent of that I guess would be community college or trade school). I'm no less proud of him than if he had been a top tier university contender. He's worked just as hard in his own way. These parents should love and accept their kids for who they are.

by Anonymousreply 537March 13, 2019 2:55 PM

These kids were qualified for trump U. That's about as legit as they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 538March 13, 2019 2:57 PM

Lori's kid is really stupid. She didn't even know how to fill out the college application forms! According to the charging papers...

Maybe that's why Lori had to do this for her stupid kid, she wouldn't qualify anywhere otherwise.

Although many parents did this without letting their kids know.

by Anonymousreply 539March 13, 2019 2:58 PM

[quote]The media could have mentioned Macy or Mossimo. But Macy isn't listed in the indictment, is he? That was weird, since they appear to have evidence against him.

Mossimo does get mentioned in articles and on shows. The Today Show showed pictures of him at the courthouse.

by Anonymousreply 540March 13, 2019 3:00 PM

r494 - there was a page that listed all the political donations of the people caught up in - the majority were Republican donors including Robert Flaxman, Laughlin and her husband, Gordon Caplin, Robert Zangrillo, Abdelaziz Gamal, Douglas Hodge and so on. While there is an mix of Dem and Republican donors, the ultimate money total to Republicans is much greater.

Side note and interesting face - Jeff Bezos - if you look up his political donations - 40% dem 60% Republican.

by Anonymousreply 541March 13, 2019 3:01 PM

Oh god those parents with the decals. I was dating someone who took me up to Mammoth Lakes to ski and the parking lot was full of Range Rivers and G Wagons with decals saying where their kids are going to school or where they went to school. Who the fuck cares.

by Anonymousreply 542March 13, 2019 3:01 PM

It's easy to get an ADD diagnosis. People can go to a psychologist, say they have trouble concentrating, say they have anxiety, which is made worse by the pressure of an exam, and the psychologist will write a note recommending more time. For most testing organizations, all it takes is a note from a doctor to get time-and-a-half or double-time. (I've never heard of allowing more than double time.). And I would imagine that some kids don't bother with a diagnosis until it's time to take the exam. I wonder if there's a psychologist involved in this scam who's writing notes to recommend extra time for kids who don't need it; the FBI should look into it.

Once a testing agency gets one of these notes from a doctor, they're afraid to argue. Because if a kid really has a disability, and the organization doesn't make an accommodation, they become open to a lawsuit. The scammers are taking advantage of that.

by Anonymousreply 543March 13, 2019 3:01 PM

Olivia Jade has a partnership with Sephora and people are threatening boycott if the company doesn't cut ties with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544March 13, 2019 3:02 PM

They had more evidence against the Felicity, she wrote all the emails.

What a job if you can get it, take tests for stupid kids. Parents paid 250k for this service!

by Anonymousreply 545March 13, 2019 3:03 PM

eight Atlanta educators went to PRISON for boosting students' test scores.

by Anonymousreply 546March 13, 2019 3:03 PM

(1) Have your parents buy your way into a respected university.

(2) Continue to use your connections to eke your way through school, partying, cutting classes, and earning the contempt of those around you who are working their asses off trying to actually get an education.

(3) Spend the rest of your life denouncing the humorless snobbery of the educated classes.

by Anonymousreply 547March 13, 2019 3:04 PM

That's a lot R543. In the UK you get on average 25% extra and that includes some quite impaired kids. Most I've ever known is 50% and that's rare.

by Anonymousreply 548March 13, 2019 3:05 PM

I remember one of the housewives...said there was no need for her daughter to get a job since she gets lots of money off sponsored posts on insta.

Lori's kid didn't have to go to college, she was already making money with 2 million youtube followers. I think it was what her parents wanted for her.

by Anonymousreply 549March 13, 2019 3:05 PM

I think it's what her parents wanted for THEM. r549

by Anonymousreply 550March 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Of course now they've fucked up her insta career as sponsors will pull out. Really dumb. All for the bargain price of 500k

by Anonymousreply 551March 13, 2019 3:07 PM

Yeah, r551. I didn't think this was possible, but now I almost feel bad for "OJ"

by Anonymousreply 552March 13, 2019 3:08 PM

That nasty little Jade cunt needs to be locked up.

by Anonymousreply 553March 13, 2019 3:10 PM

There are SAT test centers that are corrupt, in on this scam for the rich. Fuck this is so serious.

by Anonymousreply 554March 13, 2019 3:11 PM

So what the fuck, are they letting Lori have a nice, leisurely breakfast first? Why is this cunt getting kid gloves? Drag her in by the hair too.

by Anonymousreply 555March 13, 2019 3:11 PM

Where is that lori out of the country?

by Anonymousreply 556March 13, 2019 3:13 PM

Lori and Mossimo were fools to send their daughter to a competitive university. She didn’t have the interest or the ability and was onto a good thing with social media. They should have sent to her to community college to take basic finance and accounting courses so she manage her money made as a YouTube influencer and then got her some entry level PR job in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 557March 13, 2019 3:13 PM

Newport Beach home of Rick Singer, college admissions cheating schemer, is on the market at $2.6 million

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558March 13, 2019 3:17 PM

Link to Part Four.

Hopefully, we will get our smugshots in this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559March 13, 2019 3:20 PM

r557 umm fuck off on that Entry level PR jobs in Hollywood are not given away like candy. You have to have a degree...unless it is a reality show and they are stunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 560March 13, 2019 3:22 PM

Huffman and family, were woken up at 6 am.. with guns drawn by the FBI, per the Daily Mail. No niceties there..

by Anonymousreply 561March 13, 2019 3:28 PM

[quote]The judge ruled Giannulli will be released on a $1 million dollar bond, securing the couple's home as bond. Giannulli's attorney said part of the reason they came to this agreement was with the hopes that Loughlin, also indicted in the case, would receive the same bond deal as well as be allowed to travel to Vancouver. The judge also ordered that Giannulli restrict his travel to the continental United States.

I guess they could secure Mossimo’s bond with cash, but went with the house because it’s worth “more” to them, so that Lori could continue to travel to Canada and continue filming her latest instalment of When Calls The Heart.

by Anonymousreply 562March 13, 2019 3:30 PM

Lori Loughlin has produced one of the most useless human beings on record. Olivia Jade is like an animated sex doll.

by Anonymousreply 563March 13, 2019 3:34 PM

I think Olivia jade will come out the best out of everyone involved in this case. She is of the generation that understands notoriety has value and can be monetized, and that just about every scandal can be lived down and indeed triumphed over!

by Anonymousreply 564March 13, 2019 3:40 PM

@ABC7

Who is Rick Singer? Newport Beach neighbors discuss man at center of college-admission cheating scandal - who has now put his $2.5M mansion up for sale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565March 13, 2019 3:44 PM

Singer’s lovely Newport Beach home. Bought for $1.5 million in 2012. Listed for sale 2/20/18.

He was living the dream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566March 13, 2019 3:45 PM

Has Sarah Paulson signed on to portray sudden DL fave Lori Loughlin yet?

by Anonymousreply 567March 13, 2019 3:45 PM

[quote]I remember one of the housewives...said there was no need for her daughter to get a job since she gets lots of money off sponsored posts on insta.

Just FYI, sponsored Insta posts don't pay *that* much money, particularly if you "only" have 1.2 million followers - which btw is pretty penny-ante by IG standards. (Kinda like it's not that big a deal to have a million dollars these days, but $10 million is another story and $100 million is most definitely one.) The Loughlin brat maybe gets $10K per post, though I suspect a lot of them are direct referral agreements: she only gets paid if someone clicks on her links and ends up buying shit on Amazon or whatever. (This btw is why most pricey promo deals, e.g. the 50%-off deal she had with the Invisalign-wannabe company, are nearly always "personalized" with a specific code tied to the celeb.)

by Anonymousreply 568March 13, 2019 3:47 PM

Is it just me, or does $2.2 million seem like it's on the low end for a Newport Beach "mansion"?

by Anonymousreply 569March 13, 2019 3:48 PM

R557 True, but Olivia wanted to go to a prestige college to continue partying. That’s how these LA rich kids are.

by Anonymousreply 570March 13, 2019 3:48 PM

R569 I thought the same thing. Maybe they need to make a quick sale.

by Anonymousreply 571March 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Newport Beach -- where white-collar criminals and nazis call home!

by Anonymousreply 572March 13, 2019 3:52 PM

@anblanx

UPDATE: Actress Lori Loughlin has been taken into custody by the FBI per law enforcement sources. She is due to appear in Federal court in Los Angeles this afternoon (Wednesday).

by Anonymousreply 573March 13, 2019 3:53 PM

One reason the Chinese were able so quickly take over John Bircher San Marino is that they waved buckets of money in the face of those who still referred to them as "Yellow Peril" and the staunch American Patriots grabbed the money and ran.

Most ran to Newport Beach and other parts of South Orange County.

Now, these same people are seeing what they considered their "rightful" places in top colleges and universities being filled with the kids of these same Asians to whom they sold their town, and they will not have it. because this time, there are no buckets of money for them.

Thus, the mind set of many on the perp list.

by Anonymousreply 574March 13, 2019 3:59 PM

LOL at Lori complaining that her kid was confused about her college applications. So, the kid can figure out how to operate all the bells and whistles on her social media accounts, but she can't figure out how to fill out her college applications. The kid is not dumb. She's just lazy. And Lori is too busy to sit down with her and help her figure it out. What could be more important than your kid's education?

And they can't go to the guidance counselor for help, because the guidance counselor knows they're lying about crew participation. LOL. So pay the scammer dude more money to take care of the paperwork too, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 575March 13, 2019 4:08 PM

Well said R475, Both sides of the political spectrum can all come together on this one. Right now cable news is breathlessly awaiting the Manafort sentencing. I could care less, I am way more into the Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman mugshots.

by Anonymousreply 576March 13, 2019 4:08 PM

[quote]I could care less, I am way more into the Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman mugshots.

Gurl YES. We don't give a fuck about Manafort's old ass. We want to see Aunt Becky taken in handcuffs!

by Anonymousreply 577March 13, 2019 4:13 PM

Huffman is cuntier than Laughlin for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 578March 13, 2019 4:13 PM

Will they discuss this on The View and what will McDaddy say. Will she claim she’s earned everything in life herself.

by Anonymousreply 579March 13, 2019 4:16 PM

I'll bet that Meghan McCain's college entrance essay was titled "I am John McCain's Daughter". With that, the admissions officials probably didn't even bother looking at her grades or SAT scores.

by Anonymousreply 580March 13, 2019 4:18 PM

The system is rigged against us. Bernie Sanders said this in 2016. It is true. Bernie Sanders 2020.

by Anonymousreply 581March 13, 2019 4:19 PM

You know what? I don't think this story would have packed as much of an impact yesterday if Cohen hadn't talked about threatening schools to bury Trump's SAT scores the other week.

by Anonymousreply 582March 13, 2019 4:19 PM

Enough with the Bernie Sanders fluffing. He's not fucking happening, Bernie Bro loser at R581.

by Anonymousreply 583March 13, 2019 4:21 PM

Meghan McCain's actual SAT score would be around 350.

by Anonymousreply 584March 13, 2019 4:22 PM

When Calls The Fart

by Anonymousreply 585March 13, 2019 4:29 PM

When Calls Nature.

by Anonymousreply 586March 13, 2019 4:32 PM

Sadly R564 is probably right. The types who watch these dumbass Kardashian wannabes don't give a fuck about education or right or wrong. She'll probably end up as the next fucking billionaire.

Which is why we're all pretty much fucked.

by Anonymousreply 587March 13, 2019 4:38 PM

R525 That’s interesting to hear. USC is now a super cool place for the LA rich kids, close to all the fun things in LA, even though it is not in the greatest neighborhood itself and when you walk around the campus it is rather dazzling to see the Steven Spielberg building and the George Lucas building and so forth. Lively fraternity and sorority party scene as well. Lots of money and celebrity associated with the place. And some good programs I assume.Curious, when were you there? I remember reading in “less than zero” that it was known as the University of spoiled children even back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 588March 13, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote]FBI came at 6am! I thought it was 7am.

Celebrities are above Daylight Savings Time, Darling.

by Anonymousreply 589March 13, 2019 4:46 PM

Seriously want to know what Felicity thinks about husband not touched. She was very concerned about the extra time for the test and then didn't go for the second daughter. Maybe her first child has a learning disability.

by Anonymousreply 590March 13, 2019 4:48 PM

R564, then she isn't so dumb after all. And triumphing over adversity is actually a wonderful thing and it couldn't happen to a less deserving person.

by Anonymousreply 591March 13, 2019 4:48 PM

R587 Just like Kim K’s gross sex tape, one day the cheating scandal will be some vague story Olivia was caught up in a long time ago that raised her profile.

by Anonymousreply 592March 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Nothing. It's presumed innocent which means that if you are accused of a crime, you don’t have to prove you are innocent.

by Anonymousreply 593March 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Good post, R498. Excellent points.

by Anonymousreply 594March 13, 2019 4:50 PM

R587 Just like Kim K’s gross sex tape, one day the cheating scandal will be some vague story Olivia was caught up in a long time ago that raised her profile.

by Anonymousreply 595March 13, 2019 4:51 PM

Besides, this isn’t a court of law. DataLounge is the court of public opinion.

by Anonymousreply 596March 13, 2019 4:52 PM

r590 see r82

by Anonymousreply 597March 13, 2019 4:53 PM

Still no mug shots?

by Anonymousreply 598March 13, 2019 4:54 PM

Nope r598 I don't know why at least Felicity's hasn't been released.

Part Four, let's close this out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599March 13, 2019 4:55 PM
by Anonymousreply 600March 13, 2019 5:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!